Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lets post some eery and creepy mysteries that are yet to be solved!!

What happened on the Ourang Medan? In June 1947, several ships in the Strait of Malacca picked up distress messages from the Dutch freighter. The messages were alarming: “All officers including captain are dead lying in chart room and bridge. Possibly whole crew dead,” followed by “I die.” When the crew of a nearby shipped arrived to help, what they found was even more chilling. Every single member of the Ourang Medan lay dead, eyes and mouths open. There was no blood, no signs of a struggle, and no explanation as to what happened. Despite theories like extraterrestrials and methane gas, what occurred aboard the Ourang Medan remains a mystery to this day.

by Anonymousreply 453March 26, 2021 8:21 AM

I was on that ship OP and I was fine but I don't know what happened to the crew.

by Anonymousreply 1October 25, 2017 9:48 PM

Methane, you say?

by Anonymousreply 2October 25, 2017 9:50 PM

Dyalotov Pass Incident

by Anonymousreply 3October 25, 2017 10:14 PM

I haven't heard of that r3. Could someone tell me what happened?

by Anonymousreply 4October 25, 2017 10:15 PM

The disappearance of West Point cadet Richard Cox

by Anonymousreply 5October 25, 2017 10:18 PM

Nov. 9, 2016. Donald J. Trump elected President of the United States Of America. Mic drop.

by Anonymousreply 6October 25, 2017 10:19 PM

R6, I have to give it to you. Nice!

by Anonymousreply 7October 25, 2017 10:23 PM

There's no record that the Ourang Medan actually existed, no record of the incident has ever surfaced. Quite likely that it's a hoax.

by Anonymousreply 8October 25, 2017 10:27 PM

R8:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 25, 2017 10:30 PM

The Miyazawa family murders

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 25, 2017 10:33 PM

Reese Witherspoon's Oscar win

by Anonymousreply 11October 25, 2017 10:34 PM

Donald Trump's microcylinder weave by IVARI international.

by Anonymousreply 12October 25, 2017 10:39 PM

I used to laugh off the cattle mutilation bullshit. Then, in 2013, I rented a large farmhouse with a lot of land near Monterey, CA. I spent a year there writing a non fiction book on Ottoman Empire. I got to know the local people well. One cattle farmerezperiwnced the mutilations about three times. People in the area knew about it but not much talk. I got to know him well. When it happened again in summer of 2013, I asked if I could see. He drive me to his ranch. It was just like you see in the weird conspiracy videos. I trust the rancher. Not the type at all to do weird shit or imperil his profits in any way. He never sought media etc. But, damn, it was the weirdest thing I have see in all my life. Perfect circular holes in jaw, neck, rectum. No blood. Fucking creepy.

by Anonymousreply 13October 25, 2017 10:52 PM

^ sorry typos. Too lazy tonight to correct.

by Anonymousreply 14October 25, 2017 10:53 PM

R13, that is really interesting. Very strange.

by Anonymousreply 15October 25, 2017 11:02 PM

Mary Celeste

by Anonymousreply 16October 25, 2017 11:15 PM

Brian Shaffer walked into a bar and was never seen again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 25, 2017 11:16 PM

R13 reminds me of this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 25, 2017 11:23 PM

Numerous threads exist on this already.

by Anonymousreply 19October 25, 2017 11:25 PM

I like to think that Richard Cox ran away with George and lived a gay life in the West Village.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 25, 2017 11:29 PM

I had a book on the Richard Cox disappearance. He was most likely gay, and had been raised in a small conservative town. His mother, who was a widower, was very overbearing and religious and it was her ambition for him to attend West Point not his own. He seems to have become very disenchanted during his time there, however, he couldn't face letting down his family by dropping out. There's a couple of theories about what happened, but the one that always made the most sense to me is he simply walked away from his life and started again somewhere new. He could have been murdered but of course, however no human remains wherever found and his friend "George" was never traced.

by Anonymousreply 21October 26, 2017 12:00 AM

The aliens use certain parts of the cows for food. The Grey's that is......

by Anonymousreply 22October 26, 2017 12:06 AM

I know this story gets about as much love here on the DL as the Dyalotov Pass Incident, but this was just on tv the other night. I still cannot believe the police report says it was an accidental drowning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 26, 2017 12:12 AM

Someone is killing young men in Boston. Usually, the men had been drinking.

by Anonymousreply 24October 26, 2017 12:15 AM

Janet Jackson Superstardom

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 26, 2017 12:19 AM

Where did syphilis come from? It’s debatable, but the first known European cases were in 1494. It’s believed that it was brought back to the Old World from the New World on Columbus’ ships.

by Anonymousreply 26October 26, 2017 12:21 AM

This story was originally posted on reddit but has since been taken down, it has always creeped me out and I usually don't get weirded out by anonymous stories posted on the internet. It could very well be fake, but i've been to New Mexico and it's a disturbing place so I believe it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 26, 2017 12:27 AM

The Voynich Manuscript (written between 1404 and 1438) is written using symbols that resemble a language, but not any known language. Even some of the characters are unknown. It’s written on vellum, and is illustrated and depicts some plants that are also unknown. The book is very thick, at a time when everything was handwritten and drawn, so it must have cost a fortune to produce. The author is unknown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 26, 2017 12:31 AM

The Curse of Oak Island is a shaft that was rediscovered on or after 1798. The shaft is deep. When it was first accessed, the shaft flooded, as if by booby trap. Water pours in, sugesting that there are branches of the mine that extends into the sea somehow.

It’s purpose and creator are all unknown. But it was a lot of effort to initially create it, so there is a myth that pirate Capt. William Kidd built it to hid his treasure.

There have been many attempts to access the shaft to see what’s at the bottom. Many treasures hunters have been injured or kill and people have lost their life savings pursuing this.

I don’t understand why modern contruction techniques could not be used to get to it, but no one has asked my opinion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 26, 2017 12:49 AM

Pope John Paul I, the smiling Pope, died after only 33 days as Pope.

One rumor was that he was intent on changing the Vatican’s Curia power centers (like the Vatican Bank) and was therefore murdered before he could upset the status quo. The Vatican prohibits Pope autopsies, so we’ll never really know.

by Anonymousreply 30October 26, 2017 12:56 AM

FLOTUS Melania Trump, former Top Model, yet no physical evidence remains of her Top Modelling Career. Nothing. Vanished as if into thin air.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 26, 2017 12:58 AM

Korean Air flight 007 was downed by a USSR missile in 1984 when the flight veered over Soviet airspace, enroute from Anchorage to South Korea.

I recall when it happened and I always have wondered if the CIA (or anyone) had used a commercial airline as cover for taking photos of the USSR military facilities there.

Just like I always wonder about all the hikers who accidentally cross into North Korea or into Iran and get caught. Might they actually be CIA? We will probably not know for decades.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 26, 2017 1:14 AM

There were three other flights I wonder about:

Right after 9-11, on 11/12/01, a flight went down in Queens.

Also, Air France Flight 447 over The Atlantic.

Egypt Air Flught 990. The copilot waited for the Captain to go to the John. Then he blocked the cockpit door, and started chanting “I rely on God”.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 26, 2017 1:25 AM

How did Diane Ross get chosen as lead singer of The Supremes over me? Not only did I put out as much as she did, I even ate out Berry Gordy's ass quite deeply that one time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 26, 2017 1:30 AM

R13; that's us coming back to the past to get unadulterated protein stock after we bail from this planet. The mutilations are real but it's just us in the future running low in pure stocks needing to replenish.

by Anonymousreply 35October 26, 2017 1:31 AM

I want to hear more about that Dyltov pass thing that somebody mentioned above

by Anonymousreply 36October 26, 2017 1:31 AM

How were the pyramids built?

The theory I like that they were built to use the structure itself as a ramp that wraps around the pyramid.

I saw a cool video that showed how they think the Egyptians brought-up the heavy granite sarcophagus.

by Anonymousreply 37October 26, 2017 1:33 AM

R26, camels spit syphilis. Look it up.

by Anonymousreply 38October 26, 2017 1:34 AM

It wasn’t known until the advent of motion pictures as to how exactly a horse gallops. It’s too fast, apparently, to see with the naked eye. Such as which foot is where in any given galloping moment.

by Anonymousreply 39October 26, 2017 1:36 AM

R20. Nope. He moved up to northeastern Canada and lived with the Mikmaq tribe. The Métis part. There's a photo of him there. Age is correct. Everything. They accepted gays so lots of gays moved up there. I'll try to find his photo. Near a town called Percé..

by Anonymousreply 40October 26, 2017 1:38 AM

Early Spanish Priests burned as many Mayan manuscripts as they could, believing them to be satanic. It was the only writing system in the Americas.

by Anonymousreply 41October 26, 2017 1:38 AM

R23, she was high as a mofo.

by Anonymousreply 42October 26, 2017 1:39 AM

That Brian Shaffer case is very strange.

by Anonymousreply 43October 26, 2017 1:40 AM

Life on other planets. I predict we’ll find evidence in the next hundred years.

by Anonymousreply 44October 26, 2017 1:41 AM

After the Probe Nightclub Killings, while the murdered victims were lying where they’d been shot, their phones were all ringing the whole day while forensic investigators worked.

I don’t know how someone who does that for a career wouldn’t be haunted by the sound of loved ones desperately calling the forty-nine phones of the murdered.

This gave me anxiety for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 45October 26, 2017 2:02 AM

R41, no the Mik'maq of Canada had a written language. They're considered in the Americas. Last northern First Nation tribes then north you have Innu (mix) and then Inuit.

by Anonymousreply 46October 26, 2017 2:30 AM

Convinced me, R46.

by Anonymousreply 47October 26, 2017 2:31 AM

There's the big question: was Mikmaq language from Egypt or Japan or both? They are the one Indian tribe that hails from Hokkaido Japan. Inuits from Mongolia and Siberia

by Anonymousreply 48October 26, 2017 2:33 AM

This isn't the Métis mikmaq guy but there's another one just like it that is surely that missing guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 26, 2017 2:38 AM

Camel spit contains MERS, which has a 50% death rate in humans.

by Anonymousreply 50October 26, 2017 2:41 AM

No this guy. He's been mistaken for him but there's another photo that fits the other guy. He just went up north.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51October 26, 2017 2:42 AM

[quote] The Vela Incident, also known as the South Atlantic Flash, was an unidentified "double flash" of light detected by an American Vela Hotel satellite on 22 September 1979, near the Prince Edward Islands off Antarctica. The most common theory among those who believe the flash was of nuclear origin is that it resulted from a joint South African–Israeli nuclear test. The topic has been highly disputed. In 2016 researchers from George Washington University's National Security Archive noted that the debate over the South Atlantic flash has shifted over the last few years to the side of a man-made weapon test.

I think it was a South Arabian or Israeli nuke test.

by Anonymousreply 52October 26, 2017 2:48 AM

DB Cooper.

by Anonymousreply 53October 26, 2017 2:48 AM

The disappearance of Michael Rockefeller, son of Nelson Rockefeller. He went to New Guinea in 1961 to study the local tribes. A canoe he was traveling on with another guy and a couple of local guides capsized. The guides swam off in one direction to get help. Rather than wait for help to come, Rockefeller told the other man that he was going to swim to shore. He was never seen again.

No one knows if he was killed by crocodiles or sharks, drowned, or was killed and eaten by members of one of the indigenous tribes. There is also a fourth possibility. There is some footage of some natives rowing a canoe (I think, it's been a while since I watched the documentary). On that canoe is a white man with a beard and glasses, who bears an uncanny resemblance to Rockefeller.

Charlton Heston's son made a documentary about the whole thing. It's pretty interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54October 26, 2017 2:52 AM

The Roanoke Colony. Established 1585. England delayed provisions for three year during the Anglo-Spanish War. When the English returned, there was no sign of the colonialists.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55October 26, 2017 2:54 AM

The alleged photo of Michael Rockefeller.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56October 26, 2017 2:58 AM

R52, knowing all involved who you mentioned, I'm going withe the Australia borealis. That part of world is too dumb even in this year.

by Anonymousreply 57October 26, 2017 2:59 AM

R54 piranhas

by Anonymousreply 58October 26, 2017 3:01 AM

R55, they left and went to live with Indians. Probably ancestors of melunguans.

by Anonymousreply 59October 26, 2017 3:03 AM

R57, it might easily have been a meteor. The one that hit Russia a few years ago was a huge blast, up to 30 times more powerful than the Hiroshima bomb.

I just don’t understand how Israel could have a reliable nuclear arsenal without testing it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60October 26, 2017 3:04 AM

R56, thanks! That's exactly the frame from the footage I was thinking of. IIRC, a treasure hunter/adventurer type guy went to try and find Rockefeller and he happened to have his camera running at just the right time.

The story intrigues me because it's like something that would have happened in the 19th century or something rather than modern day.

by Anonymousreply 61October 26, 2017 3:22 AM

R60, most likely scenario. Israelis are dumb and they can't even manufacture a freaking car . Their big industry? Growing fruits and vegetables in greenhouses in desert. Never met one with a brain. They need to learn how the Normans got away with conquests all over the globe Not being antisemitic but I believe my grandparents who called them shrewd and conniving. They're as dumb as the Arabs they share a gene pool with. Just not bright bunch of people. Like gypsies who invest in higher learning and I'll never feel any differently as I've aged, it's a rock solid belief for me. FF away. I don't care.

by Anonymousreply 62October 26, 2017 3:25 AM

Ronald Tammen, a sophomore at Miami University of Ohio, vanished in the 1950s, never to be seen again

by Anonymousreply 63October 26, 2017 3:40 AM

R54, Not to be disagreeable, but piranhas are native to South America, not New Guinea.

For me, I've always had a terror of the Mothman. I've even been to Point Pleasant, WV, and seen the monument there. To be honest, though, lots of those Ohio River towns have a really foreboding quality (Jame Gumb's home in 'The Silence of the Lambs.'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64October 26, 2017 3:45 AM

The Tammen disappearance is very creepy. He was last seen in Fisher Hall, a former Victorian mental asylum converted into a dorm. Ronald heard something outside his room and went to investigate. He was never seen again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65October 26, 2017 3:46 AM

r13 I realize this sounds like I'm adjusting the tin foil as I type, but the most plausible scenario is military beam weapons testing. Military aircraft/technology also accounts for a lot of the UFO sightings in America. In this case, they'd want to run a mission with the weapons as close to field conditions as possible to see how the weapons perform outside a lab.

The American government can and has let the military test civilian populations over the years in limited scenarios like releasing 'dead' bioagents into the NYC subway to see how they'd spread. They've eventually, at least partially, admitted to it. In fifty or so years, I wouldn't be surprised to see declassified CIA/military documents acknowledging the mutilations were the result of beam weapon testing.

by Anonymousreply 66October 26, 2017 3:50 AM

R46, that tribe only achieved a written language after the French helped them. It was an amazing achievement that saved their culture, but it was not devised on their own. Sorry, but the poster who mentioned the Maya was correct. Their system was unique and incredibly variable. Each scribe could write the same word in different ways and often did. This was one of the reasons it took so long to decipher.

by Anonymousreply 67October 26, 2017 3:58 AM

r54 there was a recent book about it that was quite good. Of course my junior eldergay mind is blanking on the name and author. I won't spoil you if you want to google the subject and read it. The book is about 4-5 years old, so you should be able to find it.

by Anonymousreply 68October 26, 2017 3:58 AM

They know what happened to Michael, but few believe the tribesmen who related the story that he was cannibalized after his boat capsized.

by Anonymousreply 69October 26, 2017 4:00 AM

Another vote for the 'Brian Shaffer' disappearance. Chilling.

by Anonymousreply 70October 26, 2017 4:11 AM

R68, I'll see if I can find that book. There can't have been too many books written about it, so it should be pretty easy to track down. Thanks for the tip.

R69, I've always thought that Rockefeller decided to stay with the natives. He was very interested in the culture and had spent a significant amount of time with them. I don't know why he never left; maybe he fell ill with some disease and died before he decided to return.

by Anonymousreply 71October 26, 2017 4:13 AM

OP, the first thing I thought about was either food poisoning or outright poison.

by Anonymousreply 72October 26, 2017 4:16 AM

r16 toxic vapours in the hold, usually from a compromised cargo. They leak out of the containers and overwhelm the crew. Sometimes the crew can escape in a lifeboat before they're overcome, but then they perish at sea. No trace of the lifeboat(s) will be found, but the abandoned ship is found intact.

by Anonymousreply 73October 26, 2017 4:44 AM

R67, no the French helped them transcribe it to biblical prayers. Look up egyptian, early Hebrew, mikmaq and Japanese. They had their own language. The French did not help with the letters or characters. They just interpreted them. I'm a linguist.

by Anonymousreply 74October 26, 2017 5:16 AM

Sorry, they had it going on all on their own. Not only the finest Algonquin tribe but the finest Indigenous tribe in the Americas of all fucking time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75October 26, 2017 5:29 AM

Oh and the mikmaq NEVER gave away their land. Like the Inuit they were the finest craftsmanship of any indigenous people. Nothing and no one can touch those two people's. Try topping this..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76October 26, 2017 5:43 AM

Or this..the most of it is in a museum in Ontario and Germany. Now let's get back to creepy stories.

There's some good Mikmaq curse stories and otherworldly creepy psychic stories. I'll look for them

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77October 26, 2017 5:49 AM

I'm not one to throw around praise here at the DL, but I have been very impressed by the knowledge many have shared within this thread. I have always known that the mean IQ here was above average, but in the past few months I have begun to fear the smarties had abandoned ship. This thread gives me hope that they are still with us!

special gold clap for he who educated me on the Mikmaq. I am off to learn more about them.

by Anonymousreply 78October 26, 2017 6:07 AM

R78, merci. Thank you so much. I was so impressed. Even Prince Philip was wowed.

Those porcupine quill baskets were made by climbing a tree, throwing blankets over the animal and when it fled safely, left the quills stuck in blankets. I'm now designing their women's hats which left a heat bubble on top of head for warmth.

You can just start w/this:: (is that his mom or wife?) They also believed in 3 sexes. To be shaman you were taught as a young boy to learn medical cures. Had to own masculine/feminine traits. So ahead of their time and they will welcome you, any stranger really.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79October 26, 2017 6:18 AM

Haha!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80October 26, 2017 6:20 AM

Speaking of vanishing without a trace, there was a story of a farmer in 1854 who vanished in mid-air. He was walking in the field of his farm and suddenly disappeared in front of his wife and neighbors. The wife said she rushed to the site he disappeared and could hear his voice crying for help as if it was in a tunnel but getting farther and farther away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81October 26, 2017 6:21 AM

Maybe this. Sad mouths though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82October 26, 2017 6:22 AM

R81, my ancestor, Philip J. Weaver, owned all the land that is now Selma, Alabama. He also started Uniontown, Alabama and it’s not too far from there.

by Anonymousreply 83October 26, 2017 6:32 AM

Did you hear about that story, R83?

Here is an explanation written by a scientist back then about the case

[quote]:The German scientist, Maximilian Hern, author of the book Disappearance and Theory Thereof, speculated that Orion walked into a spot of “universal ether”. He believed these places lasted a few seconds and could completely destroy all matter within them. Another scientist theorized a magnetic field had disintegrated Orion’s atomic structure and sent him into another dimension.

by Anonymousreply 84October 26, 2017 6:40 AM

[quote] "[R54], Not to be disagreeable, but piranhas are native to South America, not New Guinea. For me, I've always had a terror of the Mothman. I've even been to Point Pleasant, WV, and seen the monument there. To be honest, though, lots of those Ohio River towns have a really foreboding quality (Jame Gumb's home in 'The Silence of the Lambs.'"

R64, not to be disagreeable, but in the film Jame Gumb's home is located in Belevedere, Ohio. The actual house which is used as a filming location is located in Layton, Pennsylvania, outside Pittsburgh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85October 26, 2017 7:14 AM

R81, we discussed that incident here not long ago in another thread. There is a nearly identical and better known story about a 19th century farmer in Tennessee named David Lang. Ambrose Bierce wrote a famous short story with a similar plot but no one is sure whether the Williamson/Lang stories preceded his story or whether he inspired the legend.

by Anonymousreply 86October 26, 2017 7:53 AM

R85, Oh, I know, I've driven along much of the Ohio River valley, from Cincinnati to Pittsburgh, and the landscape is much the same most of the way, with a few (somewhat) brighter spots like Marietta, but also absolute hellholes like Portsmouth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87October 26, 2017 8:06 AM

Hi!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88October 26, 2017 1:06 PM

We just had a thread on this for the 25th "anniversary" - The Springfield Three. A very baffling missing persons case, with very little information as to what happened. I would love to see this one solved.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89October 26, 2017 1:32 PM

R84, no I had never heard that story. But I imagine it has more to do with tall tales or geology under the ground. My first thought was a sinkhole.

by Anonymousreply 90October 26, 2017 1:38 PM

There are documented sinkholes around Selma and Dallas County, Alabama.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91October 26, 2017 1:40 PM

The Dyatlov Pass incident is creepy but it has been solved. The evening of their disappearance, wind around the mountain had gathered pace and it's high-pitched noise drove the campers to run from the tents into the cold. As it was pitch black they got separated and froze to death.

A brilliant book about it is on Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 92October 26, 2017 1:40 PM

"Eerie," OP, not "eery."

by Anonymousreply 93October 26, 2017 2:22 PM

R59, if they left to live with the Indians, why didn’t they resurface when the English returned in three years?

The Pilgrims in freezing Massachusetts lost half their population in the first Winter, and they were provisioned by the English and had friendly Indians who helped them, so it would be reasonable to believe that they all died in Roanoke. All you need is the deaths of the primary providers, leaving woman and children who might not have known how to farm, fish, hunt, or defend themselves from Indians and animals.

Imagine how the Indians reacted when the English returned and asked about the colony! “Gee, yeah, I was wondering what happened to them. No, I have no idea. We don’t usually hang out with them. You say they are missing?”

by Anonymousreply 94October 26, 2017 3:11 PM

How Americans put up with unconscionable health insurance costs like sheeple.

by Anonymousreply 95October 26, 2017 3:16 PM

Why assholes still use words like "sheeple".

by Anonymousreply 96October 26, 2017 3:17 PM

R94, maybe they liked living with the Indians. Early settlers here would be raided and have their women kidnapped by the Indians and when they were rescued a lot of them returned to the tribe. Why? Because they treated their women with more dignity than white people did then. They could own property, make their own decisions, etc. I think the sex was better too. Actually, I heard this on some show about sex through history.

by Anonymousreply 97October 26, 2017 3:20 PM

The disappearance of Australian army officer Sean Sergeant

by Anonymousreply 98October 26, 2017 3:22 PM

The disappearance of Susan Cox Powell. For some reason she married an annoying creep named Josh Powell and had two children with him. She did everything to make the marriage work (she was a Mormon; divorce is strongly discouraged) but he was stone crazy. On a cold night in December she disappeared; poof, gone, just like that. Her crazy husband said he'd taken their two boys, both under five years old, out on an impromptu camping trip in freezing cold weather and that when they returned she was gone. Despite a major search effort, no trace of her was ever found. Josh Powell, considered a person of interest but never arrested, lost custody of the boys, which enraged him. He ended up killing them both and himself by blowing up the house he was living in. Susan Cox remains missing to this day.

Karen and Michael Reinert. Their idiot mother Susan Reinert fell in love with a sociopath named William Bradfield. She took out enormous insurance policies naming him sole beneficiary. With the help of another sociopath, Jay Smith, Bradfield cooked up a plan to off Reinert and her children (he didn't want the children to be alive to contest her will, which left him everything). Her dead body was found in the trunk of her car. The children were gone, never to be seen or heard from again. They were declared legally dead, eventually but they have not been found to this day.

by Anonymousreply 99October 26, 2017 3:45 PM

The disappearance of Steven Koecher

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100October 26, 2017 3:48 PM

R99, those aren't mysteries

by Anonymousreply 101October 26, 2017 3:54 PM

UCLA student Michael Negrete

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102October 26, 2017 3:58 PM

R100, pretty blue eyed Mormon guy. Did he meet a man for sex maybe?

by Anonymousreply 103October 26, 2017 4:02 PM

33 Thomas Street NYC. What really goes on in there?

by Anonymousreply 104October 26, 2017 4:07 PM

Koecher was unemployed and months behind on his rent. Prostitution? Gay porn shoot? Maybe he found a sugar daddy in Vegas and is living the good life.

by Anonymousreply 105October 26, 2017 4:07 PM

The pre-French written system of the M'kmaq tribe was not a recognized 'written' language and was based on symbols, like the MAYA. The current form of the language was, indeed, partially based on those symbols, but it was not coherent or pervasive to all the various groups within that tribe. Their traditions of stories and ritual were passed down, until then, orally. To declare a tribe 'the best' is silly and to say that the achievements of the Aztec, Inca, and Maya were not comparable, or even superior, to that of the M'kmaq is downright stupid. It is undisputed that the greatest achievements in art, astronomy, mathematics, and language in the indigenous populations of the Americas belongs to the South American and Central American cultures and their predecessors. This takes nothing away from the Inuit and M'kmaq and their achievements. In fact, I admire the hell out of any peoples that could survive and thrive in those climates. The Wampanoag called them many things, btw. Enemy was one. Their periodic cycles of invasion and destruction were comparable to that of the Vikings, and for the same reasons.

by Anonymousreply 106October 26, 2017 4:42 PM

MH 370. It must have been the pilot but he had videos posted on YouTube about miscellaneous things and he seemed completely normal.

by Anonymousreply 107October 26, 2017 4:43 PM

John Titor

by Anonymousreply 108October 26, 2017 4:49 PM

I visited this site as a child and got very creeped out. The so-called sacrificial slab was particularly disturbing. It's still a mystery why it was built and by whom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109October 26, 2017 4:53 PM

Weird story about New Mexico...different dimensions?

by Anonymousreply 110October 26, 2017 5:21 PM

Maybe Melanie was a top hooker, never a top model.

by Anonymousreply 111October 26, 2017 5:25 PM

Oh, I saw this thread and couldn't believe nobody has mentioned one of the greatest mysteries of the 20th century, the Dyatlov Pass incident. A bunch of campers got killed. Was it by Yeti? Nobody knows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112October 26, 2017 5:49 PM

There's only one Ruby Tuesday's in New Mexico and it's in Las Cruces, so they must have driven through Las Cruces even though their GPS system told them they were somewhere else. GPS systems are not fail safe and require signals from 4 satellites to be accurate.

by Anonymousreply 113October 26, 2017 5:56 PM

What happened in NM R113? I've been searching the thread and not finding it.

by Anonymousreply 114October 26, 2017 5:57 PM

R109, highly suspect. My 6th grade teacher's grandfather (?) owned that land 100 years ago and she told us he rearranged everything.

by Anonymousreply 115October 26, 2017 6:15 PM

R114, this is the New Mexico story:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116October 26, 2017 6:27 PM

From r81's link, how awful :

[quote] Reportedly, Mrs. Williamson and her son could hear Orion’s voice calling for help for weeks afterwards, growing fainter and fainter. Each time they would rush out onto the field, only to find nothing. Gradually, Orion’s voice faded into a mere whisper, then disappeared forever.

Talk about messing you up for life.

by Anonymousreply 117October 26, 2017 6:39 PM

"Those aren't mysteries."

The whereabouts of Susan Cox and the Reinert children remain a mystery. They're all presumed dead, but exactly what happened to them is indeed a mystery.

by Anonymousreply 118October 26, 2017 7:00 PM

The many people who have dissapeared while they are in planes or ships inside the Bermuda Triangle, an imaginary triangle between Miami, Florida, Bermuda and San Juan, Puerto Rico. Too many disappear without a trace here.

by Anonymousreply 119October 26, 2017 7:20 PM

R24, one of the Smiley Face Killers. Young man out drinking with friends, gets separated from them, drugged, found dead in or near water. Sometimes found days after their disappearance but are have only recently died. Usually by forced drowning. They also operate in Milwaukee and La Crosse, Wisconsin, as well as other places in the East. NOT a hoax.

by Anonymousreply 120October 26, 2017 8:29 PM

[quote]"Eerie," OP, not "eery."

Oh Deery!

by Anonymousreply 121October 26, 2017 8:30 PM

That Ruby Tuesday's story @ R27 is very creepy. Reminds me of those parallel universe episodes on the Twilight Zone.

by Anonymousreply 122October 26, 2017 10:10 PM

R104. Born and raised Manhattan here. I hooked up with a guy who worked for NY Tel (back when people still had landlines). Ended up seeing this guy for about a year. After many taunts on my part about 33 Thomas, he took me there! He was a fairly senior engineer at NYTel ( and he was a damned cute and intelligent guy... I miss him!). It truly is a giant switching station for the 5 boroughs. Was cool to see.

by Anonymousreply 123October 26, 2017 10:38 PM

R113 Even if they were in Las Cruces, it doesn't explain how the workers in the restaraunt knew their names and where they went to college.

by Anonymousreply 124October 26, 2017 10:39 PM

Yeah I guess it doesn't...oh I know, r124, do you think they were lying?

by Anonymousreply 125October 26, 2017 10:55 PM

For me, it's the disappearance of the schooner Nina ("Neen-ya") in the Tasman Sea on June 3, 2013. This was a famous old 65-footer that presumably went down in a storm although no sign of the boat or crew has ever been found. Seven people presumably lost their lives.

The weird thing is my father owned the same boat back in the 70s, took another group of seven on a long trip, got caught in a bad storm one night, and sold the boat within a month. Families of the missing still hold out hope their loved ones have survived and are all on an island somewhere safe and sound. But I don't think it's exactly a mystery. Their last transmission said they were in thirty foot seats with sixty knot winds traveling at three knots. It's just kind of creepy how my Dad seemed to have some kind of premonition about the Nina. Lots of sailors get caught in rough seas and don't sell their boats.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126October 26, 2017 10:57 PM

R125 = Debbie Downer

Yes they very well could have been lying and I mentioned that when I originally posted the story as R27.

I'm sure you're a BLAST at parties.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127October 26, 2017 11:03 PM

Not a well-known mystery or "legend," but this post on Reddit always kinda freaked me out. Basically, someone claimed he experienced an extremely vivid dream/hallucination that felt like it lasted a decade, but in reality, it was probably only a few seconds. While he was passed out, he imagined a continuation of his life where he married and had kids. Once he came to, he struggled coming to grips with "reality," and mourned the family and life he never had. Some people have related similar experiences, where they have these hyperrealistic/life-like dreams.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128October 26, 2017 11:05 PM

r126 I'm sorry! I normally am not like that but that story rang false to me for some reason, like creepypasta, I'm sorry though, maybe it's true.

by Anonymousreply 129October 26, 2017 11:08 PM

Damn, I meant r127, I'm r129.

by Anonymousreply 130October 26, 2017 11:10 PM

I went up to the White Mountains in New Hampshire to see the colors change a couple of weeks ago and by my motel there was a roadside marker that said that this was where Barney and Betty Hill claimed to have been abducted by aliens and subjected to physical examinations on board a space ship. (I believe this is the first time the infamous term "anal probe" first appears. Poor Barney.) I remember reading about it in a magazine when it happened. They got a lot of publicity. I guess the jury's still out. They interviewed and hypnotized them separately and things lined up. They described the star system where the aliens came from, which researchers found to be true. But Betty became kind of a fanatic after Barney died and lost some credibility.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131October 26, 2017 11:14 PM

R126, "they were in thirty foot seats?" WTF?! Were they in high chairs? Were their asses too big for regular seats? Now, I'M lost at sea...

R128, I'm certain that this was the plot to that STAR TREK: TNG episode in which Captain Picard experiences another man's life in a very compressed period of time. (Only there was a goofy flute involved.) PLAGIARISM, I tells ya!

Maybe these folks were...EJECTED INTO SPACE!

by Anonymousreply 132October 26, 2017 11:23 PM

r42. According to the toxicology report elisa lam was not high.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133October 26, 2017 11:43 PM

The final resting place of a 50,000-strong Persian army which was swallowed up in a cataclysmic sandstorm in the Sahara Desert around 524 BC is one of the greatest mysteries in ancient history. Many, over the years, have claimed to have found the lost army, but most have been proven to be hoaxes. Recently, a Dutch archaeologists claimed to have solved the mystery of what happened to the ill-fated army some 2,500 years ago.

According to the Greek historian Herodotus, Cambyses II, the oldest son of Cyrus the Great, King of Persia, sent his army to destroy the Oracle of Amun at Siwa Oasis after the priests there refused to legitimize his claim to Egypt. The army of 50,000 men entered Egypt’s western desert near Luxor but halfway through, a massive sandstorm sprang up and reportedly buried them all.

"A wind arose from the south, strong and deadly, bringing with it vast columns of whirling sand, which entirely covered up the troops and caused them wholly to disappear," wrote Herodotus

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134October 27, 2017 12:39 AM

The murders of Barry & Dina Pinto. In 1983, a very young couple from North Plymouth, MA were shot in the head by an unknown assailant.

A friend of mine grew up with Dena.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135October 27, 2017 12:47 AM

r 134, I would bet the full army will never be found. Maybe a few bodies here and there or some scattered armor and supplies but if they got hit by a sandstorm, chances are, they lost track of each other and wandered around in the storm until they were either killed by it or died of exposure after it ended.

by Anonymousreply 136October 27, 2017 12:51 AM

R108 reminded me. Ledyard, CT has a similar site of ancient remains.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137October 27, 2017 12:56 AM

r131 that happened on Route 3 didn't it?

by Anonymousreply 138October 27, 2017 1:03 AM

There was some roadwork being done in Florida a few years ago, and they were excavating a section of inland waterway. They found a submerged car with the body of someone who had disappeared decades earlier. Apparently they just drove off the road and nobody witnessed. Because of the alligators, the waterway isn’t ever used recreationally, or explored. Apparently it isn’t that uncommon.

by Anonymousreply 139October 27, 2017 1:06 AM

The Betty and Barney Hill abduction. I don't believe in aliens but I think something something did happen to this couple.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140October 27, 2017 1:10 AM

I’m writing from memory so I may get some of this wrong, but here goes:

There is a theory that the earliest Americans had come from France. This is based on the similarity of arrow heads that were being used in France and by paleo-Americans at the same time. There were other reasons, which I can’t recall. Occasionally they find skeletons of ancient Americans that seem more European, than Indian.

by Anonymousreply 141October 27, 2017 1:26 AM

They have identified cocaine and nicotine in King Tut of Egypt's system, even though those plants were only found in the Americas in that era.

It stands to reason that there could easily have been contact across the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans in antiquity. If Polynesians could find Hawaii, then get back to their point of origin, then find it again with settlers, it would stand to reason that they could have traveled from Hawaii to The Americas.

I can only wonder how many Polynesians died in the middle of the ocean for every one who was successful at finding a hospitable Island for settlement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142October 27, 2017 1:35 AM

What is necessary for the evolution of life? The following are necessary, at a minimum:

A stable star.

A planetary orbit that is stable, and in a location relative to its star so that water can exist naturally in liquid state.

Water, of course.

A relatively large moon, to stabilize the planet, and provide some shielding from comets. The Earth and its moon really form a binary pair. All the other moons that we know of are much, much smaller in size, relative to their Planets, than is our moon.

The planet has to be large enough to produce a magnetic field that largely deflects the solar wind, which would otherwise strip off its atmosphere. That’s why Mars is dead, it has no significant magnetic field. The Earth has an oversized magnetic field because it contains the heavy metal elements of both the Earth and moon.

The solar system has to be outside of the center of its galaxy, where there would be too much radiation.

One or more gas giant planets in orbit near the planet to absorb asteroids and comets.

It seems like a series of extremely unlikely events must take place to allow for only the possibility of life. It must be very, very rare.

by Anonymousreply 143October 27, 2017 1:54 AM

And yet, with the number of planets out there, it’s very unlikely that we’re the only one that’s evolved life.

There’s probably life out there, it’s just way too far away for us to ever make contact.

by Anonymousreply 144October 27, 2017 2:02 AM

R144, there are also probably many planets where there was once life, but which died out, for any variety of reasons.

When life started on Earth, there was no significant oxygen in the atmosphere. The sky was a red-orange color. The oceans were green because of their high levels of dissolved iron. It was probably very toxic to human life. So, for millions of years, life consisted of various kinds of sea-slime that pumped-out oxygen as a waste product. The oxygen first rusted-out most of the dissolved iron in the seas, leaving the iron deposits that we mine today. After the seas had most of their dissolved iron removed, the oxygen then started to fill the atmosphere.

So, it’s possible that, for life to exist, it must start in an environment that would be toxic to Man today.

by Anonymousreply 145October 27, 2017 2:13 AM

And too far for them to make contact with us.

by Anonymousreply 146October 27, 2017 2:34 AM

If we're counting UFOs as myteries, I have a slight connection to one encounter. My Dad worked for the Orange County Road Department and one of his co-workers was Rex Heflin, who took a series of Polaroid photos in 1965, on what was then a rural road in southern Orange County. (Now a heavily developed area.) My Dad borrowed the photos overnight from Rex to show us. I held them in my hands briefly when I was 5. I remember my Dad had to take them back to Rex the next day. Over the last 50 years those photos have become famous among people who study UFO evidence. Both my father and Rex have passed away, so I can't ask either for any additional information about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147October 27, 2017 3:07 AM

[quote] My Dad borrowed the photos overnight from Rex to show us. I held them in my hands briefly when I was 5. I remember my Dad had to take them back to Rex the next day.

Is your Dad still alive?

by Anonymousreply 148October 27, 2017 3:11 AM

That is some awful reading comprehension you have there r148

by Anonymousreply 149October 27, 2017 3:12 AM

Not really r149.

I've heard this story before.

by Anonymousreply 150October 27, 2017 3:20 AM

I have typed this story before on this site and other discussion fora whenever this subject of UFOs or these photos comes up. Both Rex and my Dad have since passed on; my Dad in 1994 and Rex in 2005. My Dad did not see the UFO; Rex was alone when he saw it. Our only connection to it was that the photos were in our house overnight. I forgot all about then until many years later they were shown on an episode of some series, possibly Sightings or Unsolved Mysteries.

I remember discussing it a little with my Dad at that time, but he couldn't remember too much more about it than what I have already posted. By that point he had retired from the county and wasn't in touch with Rex any more. My Dad did say, though, that Rex had made lots of copies of the photos and handed them out freely. I don't know what the process was then for duplicating Polaroids; I'm guessing regular photos were taken of them and prints made. But I remember holding the square Polaroid.

Rex had submitted the original photos to Life Magazine, because he had heard they were doing a story on UFOs, but they made copies and returned the originals to him saying they had cancelled the story because it was too controversial. Two men from some government agency approached Rex and asked to borrow the photos, and that was the last Rex ever saw of the originals.

Out of curiosity I did some research on Rex and found an article about him, I think published by the Orange County Register. This was either just before he died or righ after he died. In the article about him, Rex stated that many years later he received an envelope in the mail with his original photos. The envelope was not marked with any sender. So that's another little mystery within the mystery. It was not too long after that that Rex passed away, so I'm glad that he finally got them back. The photos are generally considered legit and not fakes by most people who study this stuff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151October 27, 2017 3:39 AM

I think it was a very fat woman on TV.

by Anonymousreply 152October 27, 2017 3:41 AM

Bigfoot. Logic says these creatures cannot exist, but there have been SO many eyewitness sightings. All of those people can't be lying. WTF is really out there in the woods?

by Anonymousreply 153October 27, 2017 3:44 AM

[quote] All of those people can't be lying.

Why not? How many are there?

by Anonymousreply 154October 27, 2017 3:46 AM

Lots of local people, they've never been on tv or anything r154.

by Anonymousreply 155October 27, 2017 3:47 AM

Neanderthals existed in Europe until about 40,000 years ago. Humans arrived in Europe about 80,000 years ago, so there was about a 40,000 year overlap.

I guess it is possible that there are non-human “people” still out there, but it seems unlikely to me.

by Anonymousreply 156October 27, 2017 3:51 AM

Just think of all them folk who belong to the wrong religion. And most of them got stupider visions than big foot.

by Anonymousreply 157October 27, 2017 3:55 AM

The Nazca Lines are a series of large ancient geoglyphs in the Nazca Desert, in southern Peru. The largest figures are up to 370 m (1,200 ft) long... scholars believe the Nazca Lines were created by the Nazca culture between 500 BC and 500 AD. The figures vary in complexity. Hundreds are simple lines and geometric shapes; more than 70 are zoomorphic designs of animals, such as birds, fish, llamas, jaguars, and monkeys, or human figures. Other designs include phytomorphic shapes, such as trees and flowers.

They can’t be identified from the ground. You wed to be in the air to see them. But, there’s no mountain nearby from which to see them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158October 27, 2017 4:19 AM

What happened to the Greenland colonists in the 16th Century? The story is detailed in Jared Diamond's "Collapse."

by Anonymousreply 159October 27, 2017 4:20 AM

Yes, R138. Right at the entrance to Franconia Notch by the Flume Gorge.

by Anonymousreply 160October 27, 2017 4:22 AM

The July 14, 1952 UFO Incident over the White House.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161October 27, 2017 4:24 AM

There was a story about these Russian hitchhikers who went camping on a mountain and there was a big storm and they had to eat each other, Deeatov or Datlov or something. Therecwas also an alien abduction IIRC. Creepy.

by Anonymousreply 162October 27, 2017 5:09 AM

R151, did Rex and your daddy get it on? It sounds hot.

by Anonymousreply 163October 27, 2017 5:25 AM

I'll never know, but I doubt it. Dad was a hot Marine pilot in his prime, but straight and homophobic, as were most of his generation.

by Anonymousreply 164October 27, 2017 6:37 AM

The Annecy shootings

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165October 27, 2017 7:51 AM

There are online videos of the best Yetti (bigfoot) sightings including one with Putin.

The footage of Nepal where there have long been Yetti sightings is spectacular IMHO and also explains why they're not easily found as they supposedly live in caves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166October 27, 2017 8:07 AM

Why is it that UFOs only land in rural West Virginia? Why don't they ever land in Harvard Yard?

by Anonymousreply 167October 27, 2017 9:37 PM

we go where the rubes are

by Anonymousreply 168October 27, 2017 10:01 PM

[quote]The July 14, 1952 UFO Incident over the White House.

July 4, incident over the White House

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169October 27, 2017 10:03 PM

I was born on July 15, 1952, just about the time the aliens were passing over Long Island after leaving DC. I've always wondered who my real parent are.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170October 27, 2017 10:09 PM

r160 thanks. I remembered that it was Rt. 3 but didn't realize that was where it was

by Anonymousreply 171October 27, 2017 10:10 PM

I have to say, I bow down to the rest of DL for this thread. I've fallen down a rabbit hole, and down know when I can possibly re-emerge.

by Anonymousreply 172October 28, 2017 12:29 AM

At least it's a thread without the usual trans/bi/frau/muslim/black/pedo trolls who ruin everything....refreshing

by Anonymousreply 173October 28, 2017 12:31 AM

New Mexico has a weird, eerie vibe so I believe any creepy story coming out of it

by Anonymousreply 174October 28, 2017 12:47 AM

The part of the UfO Story I've never understood is the documented appearance of the Foo Fighters during WWII.

To have pilots from every side and every nation suddenly start reporting a strange phenomenon at approx the same time, and to have it happen in both Europe and the Pacific can't be explained. What's just as interesting is how quickly the sightings stopped.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175October 28, 2017 12:55 AM

Jared Leto's agelessness.

by Anonymousreply 176October 28, 2017 1:09 AM

[quote]At least it's a thread without the usual trans/bi/frau/muslim/black/ped - o trolls who ruin everything....refreshing

Give them time. The trolls will inevitably show.

by Anonymousreply 177October 28, 2017 2:20 AM

The Gemstone Chronicles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178October 28, 2017 4:01 AM

IMO, those New Mexico travelers were dead but not yet.

That story reminded me of the story of Persephone in Hades. Except in this case, if a certain number of people recognized the travelers and spoke to the or had the travelers recognized anyone at the Ruby Tuesday's, they would not have been able to leave.

Which is why people stopped talking to them. They realized they were still alive and not crossing over.

It's hard to explain it in words.

by Anonymousreply 179October 28, 2017 4:41 AM

So the gateway to the Netherworld is a Ruby Tuesdays in New Mexico? Sounds about right.

by Anonymousreply 180October 28, 2017 4:45 AM

R120, there is no Smiley Face killer. They drowned accidentally.

by Anonymousreply 181October 28, 2017 1:41 PM

[quote]It's hard to explain it in words

Most bullshit usually is

by Anonymousreply 182October 28, 2017 2:24 PM

Aliens raped and killed all those hot young studs!

by Anonymousreply 183October 28, 2017 4:42 PM

Love the Ruby Tuesday’s, New Mexico story at r27. It has FLAVAH

by Anonymousreply 184October 28, 2017 4:48 PM

r179 Can you explain it with interpretive dance?

by Anonymousreply 185October 28, 2017 5:25 PM

The Disappearance of West Point Cadet Richard's 🌺 Cock.

by Anonymousreply 186October 28, 2017 5:34 PM

Can somebody summarize the New Mexico Ruby Tuesdays story? I don't want to read all of that.

by Anonymousreply 187October 28, 2017 5:35 PM

But what did R27 and his brother order for dinner?

by Anonymousreply 188October 28, 2017 5:39 PM

The Ruby Tuesday story sounds like an alternate reality to me.

In another possible reality, the two people ended up working at Ruby Tuesday. But the part about the Ruby Tuesday people realizing the two didn’t recognize them and then shutting up, when you know they knew those were the same people and they weren’t making a mistake, implies that maybe they all caught on right away? Which means maybe it happened before. If you met someone you clearly recognized who didn’t remember you, what would you do?

Something like that happened to me once. I lived in a real dive apartment building when I was a teenager. The guy next door was a drug dealer. He had a series of very young boyfriends, all underage hookers he picked up in Hollywood. They all seemed like nice, desperate kids. The dealer was a horrible asshole. He beat them. The walls were like paper and we could hear every argument they had.

A few years later, I worked at an office building with a cafeteria. My boss and I went to talk to the cafeteria manager. What did I see but Boy Toy Number Two from that apartment building. When I knew him he was maybe fifteen. Now he was a cafeteria worker.

When this guy saw me he turned white as a sheet. I thought he was going to pass out. I have never seen anyone look so freaked out, before or since.

I asked him how he was doing and he pretended he had no idea who I was. Of course he knew. I realized he was freaked out because he didn’t want his boss to know about his background. So I blew it off and said, maybe you don’t remember me but we lived in the same apartment building years ago, glad to see you doing so well. I was a kid then, maybe you don’t recognize me. Turned out he was going to nursing school and had turned his life around.

My boss noticed his reaction. I just told him, he used to live in my building when we were both really broke, maybe he’s embarrassed about that.

by Anonymousreply 189October 28, 2017 5:42 PM

The disappearance of Tara Calico

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190October 28, 2017 11:25 PM

I've always suspected Tara was a victim of David Parker Ray. He liked young,athletic teens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191October 29, 2017 12:24 AM

Who put Bella in the witch elm?

by Anonymousreply 192October 29, 2017 12:26 AM

The Philadelphia Experiment is an alleged military experiment supposed to have been carried out by the U.S. Navy at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, sometime around October 28, 1943. The U.S. Navy destroyer escort USS Eldridge (DE-173) was claimed to have been rendered invisible (or "cloaked") to enemy devices.

It was adapted for film in 1984, when Michael Paré was at the height of his power.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193October 29, 2017 1:02 AM

The disappearance of Everett Ruess

by Anonymousreply 194October 29, 2017 2:30 AM

r193. According to relatives of the people who worked on that experiment, they were trying to use microwaves to shield the boat from radar. As we know microwaves and metal do not mix well, it created sparks and strange lights not mention cooking some of the seamen alive.

by Anonymousreply 195October 29, 2017 3:06 AM

The Isdal Woman

by Anonymousreply 196October 29, 2017 3:16 AM

The murder of Caroline Luard in 1908

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197October 29, 2017 3:21 AM

The Birdhurst Rise poisonings

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198October 29, 2017 3:37 AM

Unsolved murder of Lilly Linderstrom

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199October 29, 2017 3:44 AM

Have these axe murders been listed?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200October 29, 2017 3:51 AM

Sumter County Does- male and female found shot death in 1976 South Carolina. They had no identification on them and their murders are unsolved. Some good theories in wikiapedia page.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201October 29, 2017 4:10 AM

The vanishing of Ylenia Carrisi — beautiful Italian girl who was Tyrone Power's granddaughter and the letter turner on Italy's "Wheel of Fortune."

She visited New Orleans with her parents in the 1990s and stayed behind when they went on to Florida. Then she showed up in Florida, telling them she was afraid she'd be killed. For reasons they didn't understand, she returned to New Orleans anyway — and vanished.

Despite her means, she was living in a Skid Row hotel with a street musician she'd met. (He was investigated but never charged.)

The only possible sighting came from a security guard near the Mississippi River who said he saw a beautiful girl jump in the river, screaming, "I belong in the water!" But no body ever washed up, and they weren't sure the story was true. Nevertheless, Carrisi never was seen again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202October 29, 2017 4:10 AM

She sounds like she was mentally ill.

by Anonymousreply 203October 29, 2017 4:14 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204October 29, 2017 8:15 AM

We should have an X-Files special agents in real life.

by Anonymousreply 205October 29, 2017 8:53 AM

WHY DL doesn't have an easy to use search function. We've done some of these stories before. Yet it's so hard to find older posts by just Googling the general subject matter. Used to be much, much easier on the older version of DL. HELP. I was trying to find my older posts on Ronni Chasen for an interested friend.

by Anonymousreply 206October 29, 2017 10:01 AM

Kennels Jenkins, found in the Roosevelt Hotel freezer.

Hotel security footage shows her so disoriented she probably couldn't have opened the heavy freezer doors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207October 29, 2017 10:41 AM

For R29. Modern techniques are being used currently, but as yet no luck

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208October 29, 2017 11:16 AM

Kenneka not Kennels^^

by Anonymousreply 209October 29, 2017 11:20 AM

[quote]But Betty became kind of a fanatic after Barney died and lost some credibility.

Some? The woman was most likely schizophrenic. And I'm not saying that because she believed in aliens, I'm saying it because she was so obsessed, and even people in the UFO community remarked on it.

by Anonymousreply 210October 29, 2017 12:07 PM

"UFO Community?"

by Anonymousreply 211October 29, 2017 12:11 PM

[quote] Donald J. Trump elected President of the United States Of America.

a.k.a. The Dyalotov Pass Incident v2.0

by Anonymousreply 212October 29, 2017 12:23 PM

The groups like MUFON or the old NICAP who hold conferences for believers.

If memory serves, she gave a talk at a MUFON conference in the 80s where she showed hundreds of slides she'd taken of "UFOs" that were things like planes and street lights and just blurry blobs of light. She was supposed to speak for an hour and went on for more than twice that, and ended up being booed off the stage by people who should have treated her like a rock star.

by Anonymousreply 213October 29, 2017 12:24 PM

There's a huge UFO community spanning the whole world R211. It's been going for decades.

by Anonymousreply 214October 29, 2017 12:26 PM

Spending the after world working a Ruby Tuesdays sounds a lot like Hell to me.

by Anonymousreply 215October 29, 2017 12:40 PM

[quote]New Mexico has a weird, eerie vibe so I believe any creepy story coming out of it

A lot of people in northern part of New Mexico are involved in the occult.

by Anonymousreply 216October 29, 2017 4:19 PM

Great post, R27!

R179, makes sense. The brothers were probably supposed to die at some point during their road trip, somewhere near/on the isolated NMX highways. It wasn't there time.

by Anonymousreply 217October 29, 2017 4:58 PM

" . . . it wasn't THEIR time."

by Anonymousreply 218October 29, 2017 5:00 PM

What ? I'm not following this theory at all.

by Anonymousreply 219October 29, 2017 5:17 PM

R219 = R187

by Anonymousreply 220October 29, 2017 5:27 PM

A bit of an update on The Isdal Woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221October 29, 2017 7:21 PM

The Jodi Huisentruit disappearance always creeped me out for some reason. Recent theory is that a serial rapist who was living in the same area may have killed her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222October 29, 2017 7:37 PM

I remember that story, R222. It is very depressing.

Great thread, everyone!

by Anonymousreply 223October 29, 2017 8:06 PM

good lord that Jodi woman was only 27, she looks 40

by Anonymousreply 224October 29, 2017 8:10 PM

Well, was 80s/90s fashion. In some ways better than today's anchor/reporter female fashion which is cleavage, bare arms and bare legs.

by Anonymousreply 225October 29, 2017 8:16 PM

Some of the hairstyles of the 80s and 90s also made women look older back then. Jodi has a soccer mom hair do and I remember a few female friends and relatives had similar styles in the early and mid 90s. She disappeared in 1995 and in the next few years after that many women under 40 stopped wearing their hair like soccer moms.

by Anonymousreply 226October 29, 2017 11:58 PM

[quote]The Jodi Huisentruit disappearance always creeped me out for some reason. Recent theory is that a serial rapist who was living in the same area may have killed her.

I remember when that happened, it was a national news story. I think some psycho became obsessed with her from watching her on the news, then found out where she lived and waited for her. So scary and sad.

by Anonymousreply 227October 30, 2017 12:03 AM

An MI6 spy, found dead in a padlocked bag, probably locked himself inside, Metropolitan police say. A three-year investigation by Scotland Yard concludes Gareth Williams probably died as a result of a tragic accident. Gareth Williams's naked body was found in the padlocked bag, with the keys discovered under his body, in the otherwise empty bath in his flat in Pimlico, central London, in August 2010.

How weird I this!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228October 30, 2017 12:08 AM

I don't think that was suicide or an accident. ^

by Anonymousreply 229October 30, 2017 12:12 AM

Gay lips galore.

by Anonymousreply 230October 30, 2017 12:14 AM

R229, There’s a lot that the police left out of the story. Why would someone lock themselves inside a suitcase? Was it a weird fetish? It would be more believable if they said something like “friends knew he used to...”, or “he was known in the local BDSM community for this fetish...”, or “he had a large collection of a variety of suitcases...”, or “his work encouraged him to do this for some spy reason..”.

Something along those lines would make it more believable.

by Anonymousreply 231October 30, 2017 12:22 AM

I know, R231. I think it is fishy.

by Anonymousreply 232October 30, 2017 12:24 AM

Sorry if this was already mentioned.

The disappearance of 21 yr old nursing student, Maura Murray, in New Hampshire who disappeared February 2004 after a car crash on some back country road in NH. She has never been found.

by Anonymousreply 233October 30, 2017 12:41 AM

Rebecca Naplepa, 2011, Coronado, CA. Though the cause of death was ruled "Suicide," she was found hanging, tied up in intricate "Kinbaku" bindings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234October 30, 2017 12:45 AM

The Maura Murray case is huge online, lots of sites. My opinion is that some random sicko just happened to be driving by the accident scene, saw a crime of opportunity, and forced her into his vehicle.

by Anonymousreply 235October 30, 2017 12:48 AM

There is a TV show on Oxygen or ID about the Maura Murray case. It's also frequently discussed on various true crime podcasts.

The Jodi Huisentruit and Brian Shaffer cases fascinate me more because of the circumstances of their disappearances. Another missing persons case that fascinates me is the disapperance of former child actor Joe Pichler.

by Anonymousreply 236October 30, 2017 12:53 AM

[quote]she was found hanging, tied up in intricate "Kinbaku" bindings.

where was armie hammer?

by Anonymousreply 237October 30, 2017 1:20 AM

Keddie cabin murders

by Anonymousreply 238October 30, 2017 1:36 AM

R32, Here's your answer. I thought this book was brilliant. For one thing, it explains the since-disappeared announcement that 007 had safely landed on Sakhalin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239October 30, 2017 1:36 AM

The Brian Shaffer disappearance is baffling, I've read about it. He was in the middle of a very crowded bar when he was last seen, and then he was just GONE. There were only two exits from the bar and they both had security cameras, he was not seen leaving either exit. There were other cameras on the street outside the bar and he wasn't caught on any of those. There was no window in the men's room he could've crawled out of. WTF happened to him?

by Anonymousreply 240October 30, 2017 1:47 AM

That case in Hollywood where some hot shot’s young son died after a fall down the stairs while the stepmom was home. Later the step home supposedly died of suicide by hanging but there was no way she could have bound herself up and then hanged herself.

by Anonymousreply 241October 30, 2017 2:58 AM

Missing Malaysia Flight 370. How the hell does a plane carrying 239 passengers and crew members disappear with no trace.

My theory: I still think the North Koreans (orchestrated by Rocket Man) hijacked the plane and kidnapped the 22 senior-level engineers on board to hold them hostage until they upgraded and developed new technology, particularly cloaking technology. Then they killed them.

It's still a mystery to be solved, but that I doubt will ever be solved.

by Anonymousreply 242October 30, 2017 2:58 AM

I agree r242, that plane landed somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 243October 30, 2017 3:48 AM

Read about this the other day - someone is killing cats in a neighborhood located near a motorway in England. Many of the cats were found "neatly" dissected. One owner found her cat dead outside her property but when she went to get something to retrieve the body, it had been moved to a neighbor's property. There are no leads and the authorities don't know if specific neighbors are being targeted or what.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244October 30, 2017 4:35 AM

The Walker family murders. Young couple and both their toddler children were murdered on a small farm in western Florida.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245October 30, 2017 4:52 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246October 30, 2017 5:30 AM

Clarita Villanueva. A young woman who kept being bitten by invisible fangs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247October 30, 2017 6:02 AM

Maybe he had a disguise with him, altered his appearance in the men's room, and walked out unnoticed and unrecognized on camera.

by Anonymousreply 248October 30, 2017 6:03 AM

R248 was for r240.

by Anonymousreply 249October 30, 2017 6:09 AM

The Children Who Went Up In Smoke

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250October 30, 2017 6:30 AM

R242 Yes makes sense that the North Koreans planned it but I believe there's a plot twist. With many simple-minded idiots are led to believe it was the Captain, I think the plane didn't land in North Korean hands.

by Anonymousreply 251October 30, 2017 7:13 AM

R240, I remember seeing a door in the floor behind the counter of bars in movies. It led to the cellar, where liquor is stored. Possible exit?

by Anonymousreply 252October 30, 2017 7:16 AM

[quote] That case in Hollywood where some hot shot’s young son died after a fall down the stairs while the stepmom was home. Later the step home supposedly died of suicide by hanging but there was no way she could have bound herself up and then hanged herself.

Please read, R234's link.

by Anonymousreply 253October 30, 2017 8:36 AM

The Malaysian 370 plane will be found in due course, in the ocean. There is a new search about to be mounted, or at least I believe a new team has been awarded the bid to do the newest search.

by Anonymousreply 254October 30, 2017 10:08 AM

Multiple pieces of wreckage positively identified as being from Flight 370 have washed up on the shores of east Africa, Madagascar, Reunion, Mauritius and other places in the western Indian Ocean. There is no longer any doubt that the plane went down in the sea.

by Anonymousreply 255October 30, 2017 12:59 PM

The phantom clown scare of 1981

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256October 30, 2017 8:34 PM

The mysterious death of Artemus Ogletree. IMHO this was a gay hook-up gone wrong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257October 30, 2017 11:36 PM

Spontaneous Human Combustion

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258October 30, 2017 11:40 PM

r235, r234 and Brianna, one year earlier, one State over. We've had a few others just like it over the years in Vermont.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259October 30, 2017 11:51 PM

sorry, 233 I meant.

by Anonymousreply 260October 30, 2017 11:52 PM

What was the name of the missing boy who left his home to see a fire truck racing down the street?

by Anonymousreply 261October 31, 2017 1:54 AM

Ray Gricar- Pennsylvania prosecutor who went missing in 2005.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262October 31, 2017 2:01 AM

Montel Williams used to do shows about missing adults. I remember seeing the Brianna Maitland case on there.

by Anonymousreply 263October 31, 2017 2:15 AM

What happened to those Sodder Kids? Their coloring was unusual@l for that area in Appilatia . I lived near that area...in my own class only one little girl with dark hair and eyes and dark completed. Beautiful curls but no one took care of her, as a child I took her for a gypsy.

by Anonymousreply 264October 31, 2017 2:27 AM

Police release a list of items stolen by the Golden State Killer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265October 31, 2017 2:36 AM

Oklahoma Girl Scout murders

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266October 31, 2017 2:45 AM

I remember reading some article about a boy who disappeared. Later a photo or photos were discovered if him tied up, perhaps with other boys. IIRC, the mother maybe lost her mind, claiming he'd come to visit her.

Sound familiar?

by Anonymousreply 267October 31, 2017 2:49 AM

^Johnny Gosch

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268October 31, 2017 2:55 AM

^ Yup, that's a sad one

by Anonymousreply 269October 31, 2017 2:57 AM

Taman Shud.

Not just another missing person. This was a great mystery of the century, like the Isdal woman.

by Anonymousreply 270October 31, 2017 3:03 AM

R235 That's what I was thinking happened to Maura Murray. But then I just watched a recent rerun about the case on Oxygen and changed my mind.

R236 Thanks. I just saw the rerun you mentioned on Oxygen. The other three missing people you mentioned are also a mystery. No trace whatsoever.

Now I wonder if maybe Maura hit her head really hard in the wrong spot and ended up with amnesia since there has been a sighting. I have heard of that happening where the person remembers nothing at all about their past. That's my new theory based upon what her father said; a witness insists she was sighted in Canada after her disappearance which coincides with her having amnesia and making her way to Canada for whatever reason. Maybe an out of town passerby headed north stopped to help her and she worked her way up north with him.

At this point, until a body is found, we still don't really know if Maura Murray is dead or alive.

by Anonymousreply 271October 31, 2017 3:04 AM

Ashley Freeman and Laura Bible Disappearance: It was December 29, 1999 and Laura Bible was sleeping over at her friend Ashley Freeman’s house. That night Ashley’s parents were shot in the head and the home was set on fire. The girls were never found.

by Anonymousreply 272October 31, 2017 3:04 AM

Wow! Signal

by Anonymousreply 273October 31, 2017 3:09 AM

I agree R259. I just read your link and the Brianna Maitland case is eerily similar to the Maura Murray disappearance and the locations where they disappeared aren't all that far apart. It could be a serial killer who maybe looks for young women driving alone and either runs them off the road hoping they crash. But if they don't crash he still forces them to stop and get out of their car.

by Anonymousreply 274October 31, 2017 3:15 AM

I recall seeing the Ashley Freeman and Lauria on Unsolved Mysteries years ago. The Freeman family had a shady past and many believe that they were targeted due to their son's criminal past and poor Lauria was at the wrong place at the wrong time. I think the girls were taken for some reason and then murdered somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 275October 31, 2017 3:37 AM

R261 wrote:

[quote]What was the name of the missing boy who left his home to see a fire truck racing down the street?

Mark Himebaugh. 2016 was the 25th anniversary of his disappearance. His mother is still living and still holding onto very slim threads of hope.

by Anonymousreply 276October 31, 2017 4:06 AM

Appilatia?

by Anonymousreply 277October 31, 2017 5:57 AM

I see the resident DL Serial Killer is up to her old tricks.

The thread has devolved into WebSleuths tragedy porn.

"Mystery". Read the fucking dictionary.

by Anonymousreply 278October 31, 2017 7:30 AM

The New Mexico story is fun but as someone who grew up near there and has family in the area, none of the roads/highways/ descriptions of locations makes sense. The only Ruby Tuesday's at that time was in Las Cruces, which is not anything like the small, desolate town described. I think there are at least 100,000 residents and plenty of restaurants, activity, etc. Far from a ghost town and nowhere near the other little small towns they mention seeing signs for. It is also on I-10. If they were actually still on the 10 they would've just passed El Paso. They never mention crossing through a major city. New Mexico is creepy and weird so I can see why people believe the story,but as I mention the only Ruby Tuesday was nowhere near where they say they were and their description doesn't match Las Cruces whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 279October 31, 2017 8:48 AM

Speaking of mysteries: Hulu just added seasons 2-5 of Unsolved Mysteries to their lineup!!!!! Y'all ain't gonna be seeing me for a few days!

by Anonymousreply 280October 31, 2017 11:41 AM

I think the guys traveling through New Mexico were tripping on something. They must have gone to Ruby Tuesday's in Las Cruces. Later when they were in a normal state of mind they tried to piece together the story of their trip and got the details all wrong. The employees at Ruby Tuesday's must have picked up on the fact that the guys's brains were fried on something, and wisely distanced themselves from them.

by Anonymousreply 281October 31, 2017 11:58 AM

R93 - either is acceptable. Next time google it.

Nobody likes a know it all. Especially when they don't.

by Anonymousreply 282October 31, 2017 1:10 PM

[quote]I remember seeing a door in the floor behind the counter of bars in movies. It led to the cellar, where liquor is stored. Possible exit?

If the bar he was at had that kind of setup he would been noticed behind the counter by a bartender or other staff member. It has been noted that the bar was in a high crime area and the owners took security seriously which was why cameras were in place.

by Anonymousreply 283October 31, 2017 2:21 PM

Oh yea, R92. That makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 284October 31, 2017 3:26 PM

Why did I live with my second partner almost 10 years and why is he now living as a slave in a masochistic/Nazi relationship in Ft . Lauderdale ?

by Anonymousreply 285October 31, 2017 3:43 PM

madeline mccann!

by Anonymousreply 286October 31, 2017 4:11 PM

Very good Podcast, dealing with a wide variety of mysterious that have never really been resolved. I enjoy the narrator as he looks for rational explanations but is also willing to speculate....

All good, but I particularly enjoyed the Hexham stone heads and the Scottish lighthouse disappearances.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287October 31, 2017 5:46 PM

The death of Henry McCabe

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288November 1, 2017 4:13 PM

Speaking of McCann, did anyone in the UK have their suspicions about the parents or where they all pretty supportive? I know here in the US, we tend to be very suspicious of parents off the bat. Too cynical, maybe.

by Anonymousreply 289November 1, 2017 4:40 PM

I think quite a lot of people in the UK also have suspicions of the parents.

by Anonymousreply 290November 1, 2017 4:47 PM

Alot of people suspected the parents!

by Anonymousreply 291November 2, 2017 7:14 PM

Didn't the UK tabloids run a bunch of suspicion stories against the McCann parents?

by Anonymousreply 292November 2, 2017 8:27 PM

Joseph Netwon Chandler III mystery- A reclusive man committed suicide in 2002 and it was later discovered he had been using the SS number and identity of a boy who died in the 1940s. The reclusive man's real identity is still unknown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293November 2, 2017 8:35 PM

It is horrible to have someone you care about go missing.

There was a seller on Ebay in the early 2000's whose 17 year old daughter went to the movies one night and never returned. Every year on the anniversary of her disappearance he would post on his ME page that they hadn't found her yet and had no new leads. On the fifth anniversary he posted that they had given up and assumed she was dead and that they would never know what happened to her. I got a new computer after that and couldn't remember his user name so don't know if they ever found her. It was awful reading his posts because you could just feel his despair. Something I would wish on no one...............

by Anonymousreply 294November 2, 2017 9:40 PM

R294, is the father Reza Jou and the daughter Donna Jou?

The killer, a three time convicted sex offender, was found, but he claimed she died by accident and he dumped the body in the ocean. Since they didn’t have a body, they could only charge him with involuntary manslaughter. They couldn’t prove it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295November 3, 2017 2:05 AM

Further, the killer, John Steven Burgess, claimed Donna Jou died from him giving her cocaine, alcohol and heroin and she supposedly overdosed. He met her because she was advertising math tutoring on Craigslist.

He was sentenced to five years in prison and served half. The family is still trying to get him to tell where the body is. They say they heard some story that she is actually buried on land. She’s never been found.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296November 3, 2017 2:20 AM

Here’s a mystery that happened to a friend of a friend. This is a true story but I’m not going to use the names.

A guy I know, “Jack,” served a long sentence for robbing a house. Jack had long term drug problems.

Jack had a sad upbringing. His father was abusive. Jack was severely dyslexic and basically couldn’t read. Jack lived in a small town and it seems nobody really identified why Jack’s grades were so bad and nobody cared. Jack’s dad would beat him over the bad grades, but he was never diagnosed until he became addicted to drugs and ended up in prison.

In prison, Jack flourished. He made friends, he learned how to get along. He was respected in prison. Someone helped him with his reading. He was never really good, but he could slowly read a book. Then Jack’s sentence was over.

Jack got a job at a factory that hired prisoners. He didn’t do well there. He couldn’t read the instructions well enough and made mistakes that cost the company money. He quit showing up after a few months and was fired. His probation officer realized Jack was missing.

Jack had a girlfriend he met straight out of prison. She was a heroin addicted hooker, and he went back on drugs immediately. No one knew. After Jack’s disappearance, it was found that Jack was friends with his apartment neighbors. Jack had become a drug dealer to support his new heroin habit. He was murdered by the neighbors for the drugs he had in his possession, or maybe whatever cash he had. They were found driving his car. The police actually pulled them over for a routine stop. Jack’s body was in the trunk. They didn’t know and let them go. They had taken him to a remote area, shot him, and later threw him in a dumpster. He ended up in a landfill.

Jack’s parents looked for his body for a couple of years. A lot of people got together to help them.

Eventually the pieces were put together and it came out that Jack’s neighbors had done it, a guy and his gf. The gf admitted what happened. I think she got a deal. She described that night. It sounds like her bf told Jack he would shoot him up, then either gave him a hot shot “accidentally” (his claim), or shot him in the back of his head (girlfriend’s version) . We don’t know if Jack knew what was happening.

The killer claimed he was going to lead the cops to the body. He led them to a remote area. He told them where to dig. Nothing. Turns out he was lying, he just wanted a day out of prison. Jack’s parents were on pins and needles for nothing. He laughed like it was a big joke. Finally he admitted they dumped the body in a commercial trash bin.

They contacted the trash company. By then, months had passed. It was hopeless they said. They said they checked for bodies all the time. They were always finding body parts. I had the conversation recounted to me. Essentially, it was made obvious that somebody was paying these people not to report found bodies. So they didn’t. They didn’t want the trouble. Jack’s body was never found. His parents nearly went out of their heads with grief. They both got cancer within a couple of years of these events.

The killer couldn’t be charged without evidence. They revoked his parole and he did a couple extra years. That’s it.

by Anonymousreply 297November 3, 2017 2:50 AM

My 6th Great Grandfather built a house around 1800. There is no evidence of a grave for my 3rd, 4th, and 5th grandparents anywhere in their hometown. The current owners of this 1800 house put in a new kitchen, and in the process, discovered bones under the kitchen floor.

They tell me they “decided they were cow bones” and put them back. I think they were more likely to have been family bones, from that era. Why would they be cow bones? I imagine they thought of all the people who would come around: health department, police, building department, local historical society, newspapers, then figured that they would never get their new kitchen, so did a literal cover-up.

And they think the place is haunted.

by Anonymousreply 298November 3, 2017 3:27 AM

F*ck! What the hell did she really SEE that she's not talking about??????

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299November 3, 2017 3:34 AM

Henry McCabe - another Smiley face Killer victim.

by Anonymousreply 300November 12, 2017 12:12 PM

See R300- nice to know I️ am not alone I’m thinking the SFK is a thing

by Anonymousreply 301November 12, 2017 12:24 PM

R297 that's twisted and sad

by Anonymousreply 302November 12, 2017 1:04 PM

I think the horrible thing is missing people. I imagine them being tortured and raped in somebody’s basement. Leaving loved ones not knowing if they are alive or dead or what.

by Anonymousreply 303November 12, 2017 5:06 PM

I did not know about the R300 case so I looked it up. Strange with the growling call.

by Anonymousreply 304November 12, 2017 5:51 PM

I don't know if it's already been mentioned, however, there was a bizarre case in Liverpool during WW2, where a skeleton was found in a metal cylinder dating from the 1890s. The Germans bombed the city extensively at the time because it was a major port city for allied troops and supplies; during one such raid this cylinder was dislodged from an old abandoned house and found to contain the skeleton of a man from the Victorian era.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305November 12, 2017 6:10 PM

it's been discussed r299 = A stroke.

by Anonymousreply 306November 12, 2017 6:34 PM

Wayne McLean, lawyer in Nova Scotia. Was out fishing in his dinghy off St Margaret's Bay. They found the dinghy, one shoe but never any trace of his body. His wife finally had him declared dead. He worked for the same government department I did. Suspicions by locals about his disappearance since that part of the harbour is shallow.

Globe and Mail article 2007:

The wife of a Nova Scotia man who was reported missing after his boat was discovered adrift in October has applied to have him declared legally dead.

Kenneth Wayne MacLean, 58, of Allen Heights went missing on Oct. 21.

His wife, Audrey MacLean, has filed an application in Nova Scotia Supreme Court to have him declared dead.

In her application, she says her family is suffering from financial problems, and she can't sell her husband's assets or collect life insurance without a court decision.

Mr. MacLean's inflatable boat was found in the water near Halifax, and a subsequent search involved police divers, ground searchers and a helicopter.

They turned up nothing except MacLean's shoe and his life-jacket floating on the water nearby.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307November 12, 2017 6:57 PM

CBC News

October 22, 2007

A search continued Monday in St. Margaret's Bay for the owner of an empty inflatable boat that washed ashore Sunday.

Kenneth Wayne MacLean, 58,from the Tantallon area, did not return home Sunday night.

A Cormorant helicopter, two coast guard vessels and the Halifax fire service's fast rescue craft were in the area Monday looking for any sign of MacLean.

The search kicked off Sunday afternoon, after RCMP got a call that MacLean's 2.4-metre Zodiac was found near Shining Waters Marina. There were a pair of shoes on board and the engine was attached to the boat.

by Anonymousreply 308November 12, 2017 7:07 PM

There's a really creepy urban myth in the area where I grew up. About thirty years ago there was a murder that took place near an old Norman castle, the place was called the Witches Den, it was rumoured to date back to Saxon times and was supposed to involve witchcraft. There's old accounts from the Middle Ages that talk about this specific place and its relation to satanic practices. A lot of the kids from the local high school would hang out nearby, and smoke, drink, and do the kind of things teenagers do.

Anyway, there was series of old run down cottages that were built just down from the castle that were owned by this pervy old guy who was always hanging around the kids. He'd try to invite them back to his home, offer them drugs, alcohol, or a place to stay. Almost everybody had bad vibes about the guy and stayed away, however, a couple of troubled kids and runaways ended up living there. Sadly, it later turned out that this guy was registered sex offender who'd been abusing some of these kids for years.

One these kids was really messed up, he'd been abused not only by this old perv, but also by his own father. He ended becoming addicted to drugs and started to steal to feed his habit. He was eventually sent to prison for a violent assault against his girlfriend, and when he finally got out he decided he wanted revenge. His father was dead by this time, so he decided to confront the old perv who'd also abused him. He collected some other kids who'd also been abused by the same guy and they managed to lured him to the Witches Den.

When they got there they proceeded to beat him badly, breaking all of his ribs. One them jumped on his back so badly that his rib cage became detached from his spine. They also cut off most of his fingers and toes with bolt cutters and gouged out both his eyes, they even tried to scalp him. When they thought he was dead they castrated him, doused his body in petrol and set him on fire. The only problem was he wasn't dead, he managed to stumble horrifically burned and near death to a nearby neighbors house.

He only lived about about two days but he managed to communicate to the police who his attackers were. All the people who were involved where eventually arrested and put on trial. However, due to the abuse they all suffered from the victim, none of them ended up serving more than ten years.

by Anonymousreply 309November 12, 2017 8:17 PM

Joan Risch was a housewife who dissapeard one day there was blood all over her kitchen. The same day a woman covered in blood & looking disoriented was spotted at the edge of a highway but no one helped her. Joan has not been seen since.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310November 12, 2017 8:44 PM

Genius Russian boy recalls past life on Mars

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311November 12, 2017 9:27 PM

I've always thought the Joan Risch case was a DIY abortion gone bad.

by Anonymousreply 312November 12, 2017 9:34 PM

[quote]I think the horrible thing is missing people. I imagine them being tortured and raped in somebody’s basement. Leaving loved ones not knowing if they are alive or dead or what.

I imagine some of the same things about the missing people. I remember see a missing person's TV show where a loved one said something to the effect that they hoped the missing person wasn't suffering.

by Anonymousreply 313November 12, 2017 10:52 PM

This was heartbreaking and sounds like fiction. It was in my home town and has been featured on 60 Minutes.

On Christmas Eve in 1973, a 20 year old man is changing his date’s car tire, when he gets killed in a hit and run. The main suspect is jewelry store owner and mayor Harvey Mallove.

The mother, Lucille, pursues the case like Inspector Javert and gives Harvey no rest. The shadow hangs over him his entire life. Her lifelong pursuit is as dramatic as the death itself.

A hobo confesses, I believe a few times, but there’s no evidence and proof and all the main people involved have died with the case still open.

And you know that at every gathering of any event thereafter, when Lucille turned her back, the others there whisper “she’s the one who lost her son...”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314November 12, 2017 11:19 PM

Patrolman Lonnie Zamora and whatever he saw in Soccorro New Mexico (another weird N.M. story).

Experimental aircraft from White Sands? A prank?

by Anonymousreply 315November 12, 2017 11:38 PM

R315: I read about that case, they reckon it was something to do with the tests of the lunar lander.

by Anonymousreply 316November 12, 2017 11:41 PM

I grew up in NM, but a few hours away from Socorro. It was one of those stories that news stations and newspapers would do stories here and there. Unsolved Mysteries did a segment on it. For awhile, people kept pushing the theory that it was a prank on Zamora pulled off by either area teens or college students from New Mexico Tech.There are a lot of UFO and alien stories all over New Mexico and a lot seems inspired by Roswell. But, I have known a few people who told me about their UFO sightings and they aren't the types to seek out attention from the media.

by Anonymousreply 317November 13, 2017 12:52 AM

"A few motorists said they had spotted a bloody woman looking dazed near the site where Route 128 was being built. But no one had stopped to help her."

This is the saddest part.

by Anonymousreply 318November 13, 2017 1:34 AM

I want this to happen to Trump...

[quote] When they got there they proceeded to beat him badly, breaking all of his ribs. One them jumped on his back so badly that his rib cage became detached from his spine. They also cut off most of his fingers and toes with bolt cutters and gouged out both his eyes, they even tried to scalp him. When they thought he was dead they castrated him, doused his body in petrol and set him on fire. The only problem was he wasn't dead, he managed to stumble horrifically burned and near death to a nearby neighbors house.

by Anonymousreply 319November 13, 2017 1:44 AM

Aids originated from monkeys. The virus was originally passed on through the meat trade in West Africa: countries like Sierra Leone had a large bush meat trade, and the virus managed to mutate and enter the human immune system through this way and eventually spread throughout the world.

by Anonymousreply 320November 13, 2017 6:58 AM

Women who support the MRA.

by Anonymousreply 321November 13, 2017 7:15 AM

Someone should really start a thread about the Dyatlov pass incident.

by Anonymousreply 322November 13, 2017 8:15 AM

r309, that is not a mystery in any way whatsoever. Housewives gone missing, also not mysteries. A mother's grief about her dead son, again, not a mystery. Keep your websleuths griefporn garbage at websleuths.

by Anonymousreply 323November 13, 2017 10:37 AM

R323, The mystery in R314 is who killed Kevin Showalter? The business about the mayor, hobo, and mother is a natural result. A Christmas Eve death, especially one like this, and that Kevin was only 20, has got to be excruciating for his loved ones.

by Anonymousreply 324November 13, 2017 6:20 PM

OP here's an eerie thread for you and it's happening right here on DL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325December 4, 2017 5:07 AM

[quote]A lot of people in northern part of New Mexico are involved in the occult.

I lived there for a few years in the mid 2000s and heard some stories about Hispanics practicing brujeria and others being into wicca.

by Anonymousreply 326December 17, 2017 9:43 PM

Many states have large cults that practice the occult. I lived in CA (SF Bay Area) for many years, mostly during the 80's and 90's, and can tell you it's rampant there, especially in the Modesto area, but other areas of CA as well. These Satan worshipers are everywhere. Since no one is stopping them they are expanding all over the country.

by Anonymousreply 327December 17, 2017 9:51 PM

Are they real Satan worshipers or do they pretend to be?

by Anonymousreply 328December 17, 2017 10:26 PM

No, they are actual Satan worshipers who are involved in Satanic rituals, although some are just into the occult, both of which are a sign of disorder/mental illness.

Law enforcement is on to them but I don't know how much progress they've made getting them off the streets.

by Anonymousreply 329December 17, 2017 10:38 PM

Sounds Manson Family-ish.

by Anonymousreply 330December 17, 2017 11:12 PM

I can't believe no one has mentioned the Dyalotov Pass incident.

by Anonymousreply 331December 18, 2017 1:12 AM

First I know my ghosty stories are not believed by other people so if you feel the need to post BULLSHIT! go ahead. If these things didn't happen to me I wouldn't believe it either. If someone has a plausible explanation I would appreciate it as this stuff still gives me nightmares. That's my mystery what was happening?

After a bad breakup I found out I was pregnant and having some serious issues so I moved back into my parents home. My sister still lived there and had a big iron bed that needed a footstool to get on.

We had a party one weekend and some friends brought a friend along. Everyone was just coming and going out the door as most of the party was on the dock or skiing. The friend of the friend stopped at the door instead of following his friends in and asked permission to enter our house. I have no idea if that means anything but it was weird.

This happened about the time my daughter was 9 months. Really strange things started happening. We kept hearing voices. My sister woke up in the middle of the night because her radio came on. The next day she realized it was not plugged in and had no batteries. She put my daughter down for a nap on her bed and a while later heard my daughter scream. She saw the handle on the door moving like someone was twisting it.

She went into the room and found my daughter in the middle of the bed crying. She was too young to explain what happened but she is disabled and could not get on and off a bed that an adult needed a stool to climb in.

We found my daughter moved several times from where we had put her down. We could not figure out how she was moving. Someone else watched her for me to run to a convenience store. When I got back she said baby had moved across the room and asked me how she was moving. We came to the conclusion she must have been scooting on her bottom but no one ever saw her do it.

Finally she did learn to crawl and was playing while I cooked. I noticed she had crawled into the hallway so I went to bring her back to the living room so I could watch her. I found her 4 feet in the air moving down the hallway towards me. It looked as though someone was carrying her under her arms and when they saw me flopped her down on the floor.

After that things calmed down for a while but got worse later on. I have no idea what was causing this or why it started or why it stopped. The whole family eventually just got too freaked out and we all moved. The new owners tore down the house.

by Anonymousreply 332December 18, 2017 3:05 AM

R332, Geez, that's a creepy story!

by Anonymousreply 333December 19, 2017 3:00 AM

Fuck, I shouldn’t have read some of these stories right before bedtime!

by Anonymousreply 334December 19, 2017 3:36 AM

Bump for more weird ass scary shit!

by Anonymousreply 335December 20, 2017 4:19 AM

Where's Shelly Miscaviage?

by Anonymousreply 336January 1, 2018 5:53 AM

Tell us more of what happened later, R332. Wonderful story. Creepy.

by Anonymousreply 337January 1, 2018 6:05 AM

My ex and I had our first date eating at the OSU Campus area's Ugly Tuna Saloona- where Brian Shaffer disappeared- in the Fall of 2005. Afterwards, we ambled over to the movie theater there and saw "Capote".

Afterwards it became sort of a hangout for us: sandwich, fries, movie (though we're not drinkers).

I wonder if we were there that night?...

by Anonymousreply 338January 31, 2018 10:03 AM

The Josh Maddux death upthread sounds suspicious. I think someone put him in that chimney- dead or alive. If he had wanted into the deserted cabin he could have broken a window out.

by Anonymousreply 339January 31, 2018 11:19 AM

You think someone dragged a man on the roof then threw him down a chimney? Doubt it. His dumb ass just got stuck.

by Anonymousreply 340January 31, 2018 2:56 PM

Murder of Robert Eric Wone in DC in Aug, 2006. Straight guy stays overnight at the home of three gay guys. The straight guy is raped and murdered! And the gay guys know nothing about it. I think everybody knows who did it, but just can’t prove if it was one or two or all of the three.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 341January 31, 2018 3:47 PM

Nobody knows where all the water on Earth came from. It’s believed that the early earth collided with a Planet called Theta. This made the Earth and Moon molten and any water present would have boiled off and escaped to space. So the Earth was bone dry.

The latest theory is that after the above referenced collision, the outer planets were migrating around, not yet in fixed orbits. They perturbed the asteroid and kuiper belts, sending water rich debris crashing into the Earth. Sounds fishy to me.

by Anonymousreply 342February 1, 2018 1:56 AM

The pyramids were the tallest man made structures until the Eiffel Tower. There are two main theories as to how they were built. One is that they used a huge dirt ramp, either a really long one, or one that wrapped around the structure. The other theory is that somehow, the pyramids were built in a way such that the structure itself formed ramps to haul up the stones. But nobody really knows how the were built.

The pyramids were made from either sandstone or limestone, and you can see seashell fossils in some of the stones.

by Anonymousreply 343February 1, 2018 2:03 AM

The Brian Shaffer case is truly strange. How did that guy just vanish in the middle of a crowded bar?

by Anonymousreply 344February 1, 2018 2:26 AM

I believe the Steven Koecher gay porn angle. In fact, there were cell phone pings very close to the street address of a gay porn studio that heavily advertised in Vegas and was known for very shady practices. They closed not too long after. There was a very coercive vibe in those videos and it’s very plausible that they tried to get him to do something he didn’t want to and it ended badly.

by Anonymousreply 345February 1, 2018 4:35 AM

What is R319's excerpt from?

by Anonymousreply 346February 1, 2018 5:10 AM

The crossdresser at the bottom of the shaft.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347February 1, 2018 11:18 AM

There is no mystery in the Wone case, not even in how the murderers got away with it ($$$).

by Anonymousreply 348February 1, 2018 11:57 AM

Worshipping Satan isn't illegal. I wish all theism was illegal, starting with all the judeo-christian religions and filtering on out. But alas everyone is allowed to believe whatever idiotic metaphysical tripe they want, despite all evidence to the contrary.

by Anonymousreply 349February 1, 2018 1:31 PM

R22, we use it in the future for pure protein cells. At this time we hadn't perfected life outside our solar system. We also get caught in sightings.

by Anonymousreply 350February 1, 2018 2:01 PM

R106, those other tribes are from Massachusetts. Not even near the Mi'kmaq.

by Anonymousreply 351February 1, 2018 2:24 PM

I love the mi’kmaq art someone posted, that was new for me, it’s lovely. For someone reason, it totally reminds me of Korean pottery.

by Anonymousreply 352February 1, 2018 2:58 PM

"There is no mystery in the Wone case, not even in how the murderers got away with it ($$$)."

They weren't THAT rich

by Anonymousreply 353February 1, 2018 4:46 PM

My sister and I played with our neighbor's Ouija board when we were young and when we asked it's name, it spelled out Lucifer. 100% true story.

by Anonymousreply 354February 1, 2018 7:44 PM

I remember this got a big article in the Seattle Times about 20 years ago, but as far as I know it was never solved. A woman signing into the Hotel Vintage Park under a false name committed suicide in Room 214, and to this day, no one has been ever to find out who she really was.

For me it underscores the paradigm shift that occurred a couple of years later: the internet was around but patchier and less navigable. The search engine Google didn't appear till 2 years later, and social media as a pervasive presence was a good 10 years later. It was the last time someone could really disappear without a trace.

This thread made me think of her and what drove her to it--the death of a parent, loss of income, impending disgrace or disability?--and why she went to such lengths to erase her identity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355February 1, 2018 9:53 PM

***sigh***

Let's try that again....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 356February 1, 2018 9:56 PM

I started reading this thread last night before bed, and I really wished I hadn't. Info I found while looking up cattle mutilation (articles not pictures), that's mentioned in R13:

[quote]The absence of tracks or footprints around the site of the mutilated carcass is often considered a hallmark of cattle mutilation. However, in some cases, strange marks or imprints near the site have been found. In the famous "Snippy" case, there was an absolute absence of tracks in a 100 ft radius of the carcass (even the horse's own tracks disappeared within 100 ft of the body.) But within this radius several small holes were found seemingly "punched" in the ground and two bushes were absolutely flattened.

[quote]In Rio Arriba County, New Mexico, June 1976, a "trail of suction cup-like impressions" was found leading from a mutilated three-year-old cow. The indentations were in [bold]a tripod form, 4 inches in diameter, 28 inches apart, and disappeared 500 feet from the dead cow.[/bold]

What. The. Fuck? I can't even think of a normal everyday object on Earth that fits that description.

[quote]Laboratory reports carried out on some mutilated animals have shown unusually high or low levels of vitamins or minerals in tissue samples, and the presence of chemicals not normally found in animals.

[quote]Both the liver and the heart were white and mushy. Both organs had the texture and consistency of peanut butter

[quote]Samples from the animal's liver were found to be completely devoid of copper and to contain 4 times the normal level of zinc, potassium and phosphorus. The scientists performing the analysis were unable to explain these anomalies.

by Anonymousreply 357February 1, 2018 10:54 PM

Today & tomorrow is the 59th Anniversary of the Dyatlov Pass incident. (February 1-2, 1959)

by Anonymousreply 358February 2, 2018 2:52 AM

The "Ruby Tuesday New Mexico" story is very creepy. It could have been written by Rod Serling, but it wasn't.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 359February 2, 2018 3:07 AM

"This thread made me think of her and what drove her to it--the death of a parent, loss of income, impending disgrace or disability?--and why she went to such lengths to erase her identity."

Or if it was even a suicide? How many murders have been designed to look like suicides?

by Anonymousreply 360February 2, 2018 3:16 AM

I think that was ruled out at some point, R360, though details about her appearance suggested she might have been of Eastern European decent so, maybe a really slick hit. I wondered if she might have been in witness protection, but the way she went seemed so calculated to raise questions, I don't think I'd want to create a situation that was so obviously intriguing and bound to generate a lot,of speculation. Much easier to just make her disappear, like many in the Northwest have.

This is another unsolved disappearance, from about 10 years ago, though in this case, I think the cops know more than they've told the media, and probably have a susoect they couldn't charge due to lack of evidence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 361February 2, 2018 3:56 AM

I think that was ruled out at some point, R360, though details about her appearance suggested she might have been of Eastern European decent so, maybe a really slick hit. I wondered if she might have been in witness protection, but the way she went seemed so calculated to raise questions, I don't think I'd want to create a situation that was so obviously intriguing and bound to generate a lot,of speculation. Much easier to just make her disappear, like many in the Northwest have.

This is another unsolved disappearance, from about 10 years ago, though in this case, I think the cops know more than they've told the media, and probably have a susoect they couldn't charge due to lack of evidence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 362February 2, 2018 3:56 AM

The 1977 Girl Scout Murders in Oklahoma were mentioned at r266.

40 Years After 3 Girl Scouts Were Killed at Camp, Police Hope DNA Will Reveal Their Killer:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 363February 2, 2018 4:38 AM

Dig for missing Beaumont children begins today, 52 years after their disappearance

Police are investigating a new lead

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 364February 3, 2018 12:55 AM

Beaumont children: police call off dig after finding only animal bones

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 365February 3, 2018 12:56 AM

New leads in the EAR/ONS case.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 366February 3, 2018 6:16 AM

Ashley Dighton disappeared after a night of heavy drinking. He was last seen outside a supermarket, drinking from a bottle of vodka. A security guard spoke to Ashley briefly and watched him walk down a footpath. Ashley's remains were found covered by branches in woodland just a five minute walk from where he was last seen. He had been partially stripped of his clothes; his shirt was found in a plastic bag 100 yards from his body, along with one of his ribs. His trousers were missing, and his shoes were also found nearby. Most disturbingly, he had been beheaded, and was missing parts of both arms. His head has never been found.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 367February 3, 2018 10:10 PM

That Ashley has a lot of miles of rough road on his 19 yo face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368February 3, 2018 10:23 PM

R28, on its way to being solved.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 369February 3, 2018 10:24 PM

[quote]New leads in the EAR/ONS case.

Michelle McNamara's posthumous "I'll Be Gone in the Dark" is going to be published at the end of the month.

I think she knew who he was.

by Anonymousreply 370February 4, 2018 12:14 AM

This is a year old. But I find this an eerie mystery. So much he has never explained nor debunked himself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 371February 17, 2018 2:45 AM

Who Really Killed Ronnie Chasen?

by Anonymousreply 372February 17, 2018 9:27 PM

R25 the Janet Jackson troll strikes again!

by Anonymousreply 373February 18, 2018 3:39 AM

R235 I believe that Maura Murray was in shock after the car accident and after driving buzzed/drunk got scared and confused, freaked out when the police were called, and ran off into the woods, got lost, and died of exposure.

by Anonymousreply 374February 18, 2018 3:41 AM

^ That's a possibility. Or maybe some drunk, reckless psycho creep was following her and caused her to veer off the road and she died in the accident that he caused. Then he dragged her out of the car and left her for dead in the woods. Even with all of the search teams they never found her body. I really feel for the family. Not knowing what happened and if she is dead or alive must be awful. What a nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 375February 18, 2018 3:56 AM

I remember a case from early 2000s about a couple who murdered in a camp ground somewhere in California. The couple were devout Christians and were planning to work as counselor at a camp or something. I can't remember the names or other details.

by Anonymousreply 376February 18, 2018 4:19 PM

R376: If it's the case I think it is, they were a young couple who were spending the night on a beach near the Russian River. Someone shot them as they slept. They killer was never caught, although some years later there was a man who was murdered in Mexico that was a suspect.

by Anonymousreply 377February 18, 2018 4:35 PM

R377 Thank you. That's the one.

by Anonymousreply 378February 18, 2018 4:39 PM

R376, R377, and R378 they arrested the man who murdered that couple, may they rest in peace.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379February 19, 2018 1:26 AM

R367 that's really frightening and fucked up.

This is probably a stupid question, but is there any major gang activity in the UK? The whole dismembering the body and cutting off/keeping the head and one rib (probably as a trophy) is reminiscent of what US gang and Mexican drug cartels do.

by Anonymousreply 380February 19, 2018 1:39 AM

A datalounger here claims to have had sex with someone who murdered people in the Pacific Northwest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 381February 19, 2018 2:22 AM

R380 it depends upon the area, but for the most part no. I have read how people theorize that the young man was murdered by a serial killer since the body was mutilated and cut up, so police theorize that whoever did this had killed people before. I hope he gets justice soon and they find out who murdered him.

by Anonymousreply 382February 19, 2018 2:24 AM

This is why I would never camp out in the open or even camp in a tent. I knew a woman who loved to go camping by herself and would just take off to the woods with just a sleeping bag.

by Anonymousreply 383February 19, 2018 6:04 AM

R383 true, when I go camping I go with friends and we go to a semi-private campground, where you get privacy but you are not totally alone out in the middle of nowhere, and we don't go to those gay/LGBT camping places that are outdoor bath houses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 384February 19, 2018 4:33 PM

Aurora Colorado serial killings from the early 1980s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 385February 26, 2018 8:22 PM

There was a book called "Say You Love Satan" about a murder in my hometown. A group of kids from high school tortured and murdered another kid in the woods. They buried the body in a pile of leaves and told some of the other kids about it and they all ventured up to have a look. It was like a tourist attraction for a while. Finally, someone told the cops. The murderer was a local boy who killed himself in prison (hanging). It's a small town and the killer's dad was a teacher in our school. Really creepy story. Rolling Stone came out and did a story on it. In the article, they referred to the local kids anonymously as "Dirtbag No. 1" or "Dirtbag No. 2."

by Anonymousreply 386February 26, 2018 8:34 PM

R386 do you have the link to the rolling stone article?

by Anonymousreply 387February 26, 2018 9:36 PM

I have this R387 . . . from the author's website.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 388February 26, 2018 9:46 PM

Thanks R388.

The below link is about the unsolved murder of Debbie Wolfe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 389February 28, 2018 6:57 PM

Poor Margaret Martin, she thought she was going to get a job but then was abducted, murdered, and dismembered. Her killer has not been caught.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 390March 5, 2018 10:47 AM

R320 There is a phenomenon called Silent Forest Syndrome or Empty Forest Syndrome, which is a problem worldwide, in Africa, partially because of the association between HIV and the bushmeat trade. It has seriously contributed to HIV/AIDS in Africa but is a catastrophe worldwide for various reasons and causes. It is a horrible tragedy. With access by roads created into the deep bush in Africa and elsewhere globally, diseases formerly contained by their isolation from human contact are now becoming zoonotic (spread from other species to humans) in devastating numbers. Many species are conduits for human disease as a result.

Btw, bats, a favoured endemic food source in Africa and, are now thought to be the culprits for human infection of Ebola and related viral plagues, as well as hantavirus, and others. They are considered to be a primary food source in many of the developing world countries in which Ebola occurs. They can transmit other deadly diseases as well when eaten.

Just google Silent Forest Syndrome and you'll get a host of articles about the problem worldwide.

by Anonymousreply 391March 6, 2018 12:42 AM

Bats are filthy, disease-ridden creatures, how could anybody eat them?

by Anonymousreply 392March 6, 2018 1:55 AM

R391 is this it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 393March 8, 2018 7:52 PM

This was a strange one in Connecticut.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 394March 8, 2018 8:16 PM

Another one that's not internationally known, but in my family. In 1987/88, my great uncle who fought in Korea was supposed to come visit us. He postponed it because he had to go to Europe. When my mom asked he told her to that he couldn't say anything and to watch the news. A little later on, there was a news report about missile silos in the Soviet Union. Before he could visit us, he was found dead in his bed.

His obituary said he died from a brief illness, but his widow said he was in great health. My grandmother(his sister) and mother think there was more to it.

by Anonymousreply 395March 8, 2018 8:38 PM

I'd love to know what happened to Brian Shaffer, that one is so bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 396March 8, 2018 8:40 PM

During the 1980s, I read and saved a newspaper clipping about the mysterious deaths of numerous British scientists who worked on top-secret projects for the British and American defense industries, including the infamous STAR WARS defense initiative. It fascinated me because so many of the deaths were either ruled as inconclusive or ruled suicides even though the methods employed were so strange and grisly. For example, one scientist "tied one end of a ligature to his neck, the other end to a tree, then jammed his foot on the accelerator of his car and decapitated himself." Here's a good recap and although this is not mine, I feel I have to apologize in advance for the font used.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397March 8, 2018 9:20 PM

The disappearance of former NBA player Bison Dele. His whole story is strange.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 398March 9, 2018 7:51 PM

The highway of tears in Canada and how Canadians are racist against native indian people there, and how law enforcement really does not care about the victims who have been murdered for decades, and who are still being killed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 399March 9, 2018 8:53 PM

Leah Hickman was a 21 year-old college student at Marshall University, best known as the subject of McBongo's movie We Are Marshall.

She disappeared Dec 14, 2007. The investigation was thrust into the national spotlight when it was initially treated as a missing person case, but after a week of searching, her body was discovered in the crawl space of her apartment' s laundry room, after a tip from HLN's Nancy Grace.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 400March 10, 2018 5:36 AM

update on the Jodi Huisentruit case

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 401March 21, 2018 1:12 AM

oh wow, r401, a friend of the family? What a piece of shit, putting them through this for so long. 23 years.

by Anonymousreply 402March 21, 2018 7:14 AM

The St. Louis Jane Doe. This case haunted me for so much when I first learned about it, probably because it's so close to my own neighborhood.

In 1983, the decapitated body of a female child between ages 8-11 was found in the basement of an abandoned building in St. Louis. She had been raped, strangled, decapitated elsewhere, then disposed of in the abandoned building. She's never been identified, and her head has never been found. Also, no arrests have been made.

The thing that gets me the most is that she was apparently well cared-for (well-nourished, no scars, notice the red nail polish on the fingernails).

I want to weep knowing that this is the kind of world where a little girl can be murdered and dumped in the basement of an abandoned house, and not be missed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 403March 21, 2018 8:14 AM

That's a tow rope around her wrists. It could be a clue as to where the killer lived or worked.

by Anonymousreply 404March 21, 2018 8:22 AM

I graduated high school in 1978, and yes, the 70s were pretty scary. I remember when John Wayne Gacy was first arrested in 1978, and the details started coming out. The idea that so many teenage boys and young men could have vanished like that before he was apprehended was terrifying to me. I remember seeing Robert Piest's photo in the newspaper, and he looked like so many other 70s teenagers, and I identified with him. Also, people today don't realize how very different things were back then. The newspapers had to pretty much censor many of the worst parts of Gacy's behavior, when it started coming out in court. There was certainly plenty of pornography, just not where I lived: it was a special order sort of thing back then for lots of people. The very idea that people were buying film reels from obscure companies to watch at home was sort of creepy, and fascinating. I knew some trendy young gay men who were always vacationing in NYC or to Fire Island in the summer, and they'd come back with the details of the latest sexual trend that everyone was indulging: I remember one of them explaining "penis fucking" (sounding), and "fist fucking" (anal fisting) to me, and I was horrified, and wondered what would prompt anyone to do that. So you had this weird combination of theoretical innocence on TV, but you knew there was a whole different world lurking under the surface, if you knew where to pry up that board to see.

by Anonymousreply 405March 21, 2018 12:19 PM

I love reading true crime and the John Wayne Gacy book was the only one I had to put down because it freaked me out. The way he would choke them into unconsciousness and then bring them back where they'd see him in his clown outfit before he finished them off. So scary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406March 21, 2018 2:05 PM

R403 Having been raised by psychopaths (and one was a pedophile) I wondered if maybe it was one of the parents who raped her and the other beat her and then they eventually killed her to silence her. That would explain why the parents, who possibly had no relationship with their families, never came forward. And maybe she was a home birth, no birth certificate recorded, and if she never attended school that might explain why school authorities didn't come looking for her and prompt an investigation.

Whatever happened it really is a heartbreaking story. Poor girl. This is why I believe ALL psychopaths/sociopaths should be behind bars, including those who have a clean background record and were never convicted of a crime. Every single one of them.

by Anonymousreply 407March 22, 2018 12:45 AM

R407 Part of what made the case so baffling for investigators was that STL Jane Doe appeared to be well cared for with no physical signs of abuse or hardship (or at least not severe abuse or hardship). If she was regularly beaten and/or raped, I'm sure it would've been apparent.

A few years ago, they exhumed STLJD's body and used modern technology to analyze the mineral profile of her bones to try to figure out where she might've grown up. STLJD was found in a neighborhood far removed from interstate highways, yet nobody missed her. Therefore, she was thought to be from a different state while the murderer was a local (a thought that makes me feel physically ill because, like I said, it's close by my neighborhood).

Anyway, the bone mineral analysis confirmed that STLJD didn't grow up in Missouri. Her plausible home states are: Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Texas, Tennessee and the Carolinas.

Was that extremely helpful? Well... not exactly. But it's something. Plus it's just great to know that she hasn't been forgotten and that there's still people out there willing to work on the case.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 408March 22, 2018 7:32 AM

Thank you for the information R408. I wasn't aware of that.

There are so many kidnapped/missing children and if she was from a few states away it makes it much more difficult for the family and authorities to make the match. To add to the difficulty it seems possible that she was kidnapped from her hometown and taken to "the second location" which was a few states away and kept there for quite while, maybe even years, before being murdered.

She may have only been 5-6 yrs old when she was taken by a deranged pedophile who had a sexual fetish for little girls in that age group and he kept her hostage several states away but fed her and didn't abuse her other than the sexual assaults, which would explain why she appeared well cared for. When he had no use for her when she was 8 or 9 he murdered her. But then according to your information it reads as though she wasn't missing for very long when she was murdered.

There has to be some explanation as to why the parents or grandparents or some other family member didn't come forward. Families with a kidnapped child never stop looking. So this is baffling. Heartbreaking what she must have gone through.

by Anonymousreply 409March 22, 2018 5:15 PM

The St. Louis Jane Doe is heartbreaking. I really hope she's identified and that we learn who the person/people are who did that to her?

I read on one site linked below, about how law enforcement supposedly sent her sweater to a psychic who claimed that when mailing it back it was "lost in the mail". I really hope that's not true at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 410March 24, 2018 1:09 PM

R410 yes, unfortunately, it's true. Investigators sent those two very crucial pieces of evidence to a fucking PSYCHIC, of all people (who wanted to touch them and get a "read"), and they ended up getting lost in the mail. With today's modern technology, imagine how much more information could've been gleaned from those two items (on second thought, don't imagine it).

It was an incredibly stupid and wholly preventable mistake, without a doubt. However, one thing you have to realize is just how much of a toll the STLJD case took on the main investigators—emotionally, psychologically, mentally. They worked tirelessly to no avail and endured many sleepless nights. Despite being a seasoned veteran, one of the detectives was plagued by nightmares. Decades later, the case still haunts them to this day. It was cold straight from the beginning—there's never been a lead, a tip, nothing. They were working with thin air. These "psychics" make their living by feeding answers to extremely desperate people in that situations without any answers, and that's what ended up happening here.

I was also incredulous (and angry) when I learned what happened to the rope and sweater, but I became more sympathetic when I learned just how much the people working on the case cared about that little girl. One of the detectives on the case died in the late 90's and on his death bed he stated that, hands down, his biggest regret in life was not at least knowing her name and face.

by Anonymousreply 411March 25, 2018 8:26 PM

"This is why I believe ALL psychopaths/sociopaths should be behind bars, including those who have a clean background record and were never convicted of a crime."

Yes, let's put people who haven't committed a crime behind bars! Great idea, President Trump!

by Anonymousreply 412March 26, 2018 1:29 AM

Thanks for the information R411. I really hope they do find the sweater and rope eventually.

by Anonymousreply 413March 26, 2018 4:47 PM

The identity of Mr. Cruel in Australia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 414March 26, 2018 4:48 PM

R414 that's some scary shit. Kinda wish the press didn't give him that silly moniker though (his actions are a little beyond "cruel," don't you think?)

by Anonymousreply 415March 26, 2018 8:13 PM

The kidnapping and murder of Dorothy Jane Scott.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 416March 26, 2018 8:35 PM

R409, her parents were illegal immigrants. Not worth the risk going to authorities.

by Anonymousreply 417March 26, 2018 8:51 PM

Cops and detectives aren't known to be above average intelligence so crafty individuals get away with it.

by Anonymousreply 418March 26, 2018 8:59 PM

"Cops and detectives aren't known to be above average intelligence so crafty individuals get away with it.'

Most criminals are not "above average" in intelligence either.....the concept of the "genius" criminal who plays games with the authorities mostly comes from crime shows and mystery novels. When criminals get away with it, it's usually because of luck or circumstance (for instance, it's much harder to solve a murder where the killer is a stranger to the victim than a typical murder where the victim and the perpetrator know each other)

by Anonymousreply 419March 27, 2018 12:42 AM

R417 where the hell did that come from?

by Anonymousreply 420March 27, 2018 5:27 AM

[quote]Ray Gricar- Pennsylvania prosecutor who went missing in 2005.

I thought about that case last night when watching Paterno on HBO.

by Anonymousreply 421April 8, 2018 8:15 PM

Unsolved murder of two sisters in 1957 Chicago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 422April 15, 2018 5:59 AM

I've just been reading about the disappearance of Tara Calico. The fact that the girl and boy in the Polaroid still haven't been identified never 30 years later is so strange.

[quote] Months went by without any closure, and police were no closer to finding Tara than they were the day she went missing. In June 1989, on a hot summer day in Port St. Joe, Florida, around 1,600 miles away, a lady shopping at a local grocery store spotted a lone Polaroid picture lying in the parking lot.

[quote] Curious, she picked the picture up and studied it. Two people, a teen girl and a young boy, stared at the camera with their hands tied behind their backs and duct tape covering their mouths. They’re both lying on a bed, which appears to be in the back of a van or bus, but the darkened background made it difficult for police to identify exactly where it was taken.

[quote] The teen girl in the photo looked so much like Tara that Patty was convinced it was her daughter. The hair, eyes, and skin complexion matched, and the girl in the photo had a skin discoloration on her right leg in the exact spot that Tara had a scar. There was a copy of the V.C. Andrews’ book My Sweet Audrina lying on the bed next to the girl. According to Patty, Andrews was Tara’s favorite author.

Also, if you want proof of what a complete tool Marilyn Manson is, the article mentions that he used to drop photos like this in public as a prank.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 423April 17, 2018 7:31 PM

R423 the fact that nobody has come forward and said 'that was me and my little brother messing around' is why I think that photo was legit in the sense I don't think it's posed.

by Anonymousreply 424April 17, 2018 8:14 PM

R422 Just read the wikipedia article. Really creepy and I think the Mom was right. It was the caller who knew about the foot deformity that did it. R423 I'm also curious about this case, and Marilyn Manson is every bit the monster he portrays himself to be.

by Anonymousreply 425April 17, 2018 8:35 PM

R424 - yes, if the photo were staged as a prank, I think there's a decent chance that the girl, the boy or the photographer would have seen it on the news at some point. And there would be no reason for them not to go to the police and tell them the truth, because they weren't doing anything illegal.

I've just found this Reddit thread which links to the case documents. I haven't read it in depth yet, but it sounds pretty damning:

[quote] tl;dr Most likely scenario: Tara was deliberately run over by some druggies, one of whom was the Sheriff's son, and all the suspects are deceased so no confessions will be forthcoming, although there is a rumoured suicide note that was covered up by the Deputy Sheriff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 426April 17, 2018 8:43 PM

Thanks R426. Very sad her family can't have closure.

by Anonymousreply 427April 17, 2018 9:28 PM

A new addition to unsolved mysterious deaths :(

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 428April 17, 2018 9:55 PM

Eerie

by Anonymousreply 429April 20, 2018 8:54 PM

R428 sadly I think that guy killed himself. :( I read how he said to his neighbor to delete his mobile phone number. Rest in peace.

by Anonymousreply 430April 22, 2018 4:08 PM

The murder of Janett Christman - a 13-year-old girl who was murdered while babysitting in 1950. Interesting story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 431April 22, 2018 4:20 PM

ghrthtrhtr

by Anonymousreply 432April 23, 2018 12:14 AM

Who was that girl who was literally kidnapped while babysitting? They found some of her clothes dumped by the side of the road, but never recovered a body.

by Anonymousreply 433April 23, 2018 12:29 AM

r433, are you talking about Evelyn Hartley?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 434April 23, 2018 12:31 AM

R434 yes, that's the case! I was blanking on her name.

by Anonymousreply 435April 23, 2018 12:37 AM

Fghkgdf

by Anonymousreply 436April 23, 2018 4:34 PM

Robert Wone. Probably the most infuriating case I've ever heard about. A happily married man stays the night at a friend’s house after a long night of work (he stayed over to prevent his wife, who just had surgery, from having to drive to pick him up at the bus stop). His friend, Joe Price, was in a three-way relationship with his lover Victor Zaborsky and another guy he shared an S&M relationship with, Dylan Ward. Within an hour of Robert’s arrival, he was dead with three perfectly formed stab wounds, and his own semen in his rectum. The trio who live in the house claim that an intruder broke in, stabbed him, and fled – though they all agree they didn’t hear anything like running feet on the hardwood floors. I believe the trio are guilty but I cannot figure out what happened that night or why they killed him. They were never charged with anything except obstruction of justice, and they each were acquitted of that charge. What happened to Robert that night?

by Anonymousreply 437April 23, 2018 6:37 PM

I don't think they all killed him. I think only one did (though the others may have helped cover it up after the fact)

by Anonymousreply 438April 24, 2018 12:38 AM

How did his own semen get in his rectum?

by Anonymousreply 439April 24, 2018 1:31 AM

R438 I think that too. I hope karma catches up with all three later on.

by Anonymousreply 440April 24, 2018 1:44 AM

People disappear all the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 441April 24, 2018 4:33 PM

There is a theory that Joe Price's drug addict brother broke in and killed Robert Wone. I listened to a podcast episode on the Wone case and the podcast host said that he believed the case didn't get attention outside of DC because the three suspects were gay.

I also read that article from 2004 about Joe Price and Victor Zabrosky donating sperm to a lesbian couple. The article kind of painted both men in a sort wholesome light. It must have been a shock to some people in the gay parents community about Joe and Victor having Dylan Ward living with them and the BDSM thing going on too.

by Anonymousreply 442April 24, 2018 9:30 PM

"I listened to a podcast episode on the Wone case and the podcast host said that he believed the case didn't get attention outside of DC because the three suspects were gay."

Which is stupid because most homicides don't get national attention, regardless of the circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 443April 25, 2018 2:54 AM

Lauria Bible's killer caught! Motherfucker thought he got away with it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 444April 25, 2018 10:02 PM

R444 excellent news. It seems to Solving Cold Cases day today.

I would love to know what actually that night.

by Anonymousreply 445April 25, 2018 10:06 PM

r445 Freeman's parents were drug users, lovely that it got their kid and another innocent killed. Shit, no wonder parents vet their friends' parents so much.

by Anonymousreply 446April 25, 2018 10:10 PM

Cross EAR/ONS off the "unsolved" list

by Anonymousreply 447April 26, 2018 12:35 AM

r444 amazing after all these years. It was three men who did it but two of them are now dead.

by Anonymousreply 448April 26, 2018 12:44 AM

Murdered women and girls in Juarez, Mexico.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 449April 26, 2018 1:38 AM

What happened to the Forth Worth Trio?

by Anonymousreply 450September 23, 2018 4:20 AM

R449 do you think they were all victims of cartels, pimps, or multiple serial killers?

by Anonymousreply 451September 27, 2018 9:41 AM

Bryan Niselfeld, his supposed former lover/partner Josh was a suspect in his murder/disappearance when a woman found Bryan's dismembered foot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 452October 8, 2018 5:10 PM

Michael De Bourcier, a salesman for an internet provider in Toronto, was found dead at his apartment in 2002 and was discovered after his death to have stolen the identity of a 4-year-old boy who died in 1973.

DNA testing identified him as Jim Walton, a missing person from Caledonia, Ontario, who had vanished while driving to visit friends in New York in 1992. Nobody knows why he decided to disappear and take on a new identity.

Dylan Reibling, a friend and former co-worker, turned the case into a documentary, [italic]Looking for Mike.[/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 453March 26, 2021 8:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!