Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

tim roth

Any gossips? He is suspiciously well-adjust considering he was his own grandfather's fucktoy for decade since he was a child. So what's the story?

by Anonymousreply 83March 6, 2019 6:33 PM

His son, Jack, is an actor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 18, 2017 11:42 AM

Great actor. Vocal about being victim of child abuse. Don't know any details, but it seems like it was horrific and brutal. Since he was a toddler till early teenage years. Don't know what stopped it. I guess his grandfather's death.

by Anonymousreply 2August 18, 2017 12:22 PM

He seems like such a decent, humble, clever man. Love his interviews.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 18, 2017 3:23 PM

His grandfather abused Tim's father too. Horrible.

by Anonymousreply 4August 18, 2017 3:26 PM

Wow, I never knew that about Tim Roth. How horrible. His eyes always look sad to me.

by Anonymousreply 5August 18, 2017 3:30 PM

Why would his father allow him near the grandfather knowing what a monster he was?

by Anonymousreply 6August 18, 2017 3:32 PM

I love this guy. He deserves a much bigger career, with an Oscar or two on his shelf.

by Anonymousreply 7August 18, 2017 3:34 PM

R7

I read some of his interviews where he was asked about big roles he missed, like Snape or Hilcox in Inglorious Basterds, and he always was so... calm about and so complimentary to actors who actually took those roles. There is no bitterness in him at all. He is honest about taking roles to pay bills. It's so refreshing to read.

by Anonymousreply 8August 18, 2017 3:44 PM

The weird thing about his feeling about his father. He loves him deeply, and doesn't blame him at all for all this horrific abuse. He talked about this ridiculous United Passions movie, that was cut and recut by FIFA to make Zepp Blatter look good. And one of the things he said shocked me. He said he feels ashamed because of his father for taking this role. He felt like he betrayed his father and everything he was standing for. And I was like - really? Are you fucking kidding me? Your father left you in the hands of fucking pedophile for years, and you feel ashamed for taking a job to pay your sons college bills? It actually made me angry.

by Anonymousreply 9August 18, 2017 3:52 PM

My father suffered a terribly abusive childhood and was very hard on me as a small child not sexually just physically and psychologically. He loved me he just didnt understand how to be a parent. I still love him and really have no interest in hating or blaming him. Not everyone wants to be a perpetual victim even though its very in fashion these days.

by Anonymousreply 10August 18, 2017 4:12 PM

[quote]He said he feels ashamed because of his father for taking this role. He felt like he betrayed his father and everything he was standing for.

I don't understand this. Betray in what way for taking the role?

by Anonymousreply 11August 18, 2017 4:15 PM

R11

Tim himself is very left, and his father was even more so. And United Passions is a project that was financed by notoriously corrupt FIFA to make Blatter look good.

by Anonymousreply 12August 18, 2017 4:19 PM

Oh, OK. Thanks, R12.

by Anonymousreply 13August 18, 2017 4:27 PM

Any gay gossips? He is married since 1993 and has three kids, but I heard he is bi. He also supposedly had affair with Tilda Swinton.

by Anonymousreply 14August 18, 2017 4:31 PM

His father sounds like fascinating man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 18, 2017 4:53 PM

I'm sure the name change was also an easy move when your father rapes you and your child.

by Anonymousreply 16August 18, 2017 5:01 PM

Back when he had a twitter account he 'came out as bi' by posting something like that he fucked a lot of PEOPLE before marriage. Always had bi rumours including alleged hook ups with Michael Pitt ( who is openly bi) and Gary Oldman, also heard rumours about affairs with women like Julia Ormond and Tilda Swinton and that he and his wife have an open marriage.

by Anonymousreply 17August 18, 2017 5:10 PM

His father asked Tim when he was 20 or so if his father ever fucked him. So he always suspected that his father molested his own grandson. And did nothing about it. It supposedly started when Tim was a toddler it ended in his teen years. It doesn't make any sense. How the hell you molest a toddler? That's so fucking sick.

by Anonymousreply 18August 18, 2017 5:28 PM

How could this whole rape/molestion thing happen for so long? Was the grandfather living with them? Because otherwise his father must have been ok with Tim spending time/being alone with grandpa of whom he know what a monster he was, what parent who was abused himself allowes something like that?!

by Anonymousreply 19August 18, 2017 5:33 PM

He directed a very bruising, nearly unwatchable movie about incest called The War Zone. Now, I can see why.

He's a terrific actor who's made some bad choices. I remember reading that he was offered both Harry Potter (Snape) and Tim Burton's Planet Of The Apes and he chose the latter. Sigh...

by Anonymousreply 20August 18, 2017 5:33 PM

R20

Harry Potter movies are not very good, and he would have nothing to play, but the paycheck... Damn you, Tim Burton. I would've been happy to see his reunion with Gary Oldman. They were amazing together in this old Meantime... movie. British cinema uset to be so good. Now I can't remember the last time I saw good British movie.

by Anonymousreply 21August 18, 2017 5:44 PM

R17

Him saying he had sex with a lot of people doesn't equal coming out as bi. Him and Michael Pitt is so strange and random. And hot.

by Anonymousreply 22August 18, 2017 6:49 PM

I think he loves women. There are a lot of pictures of him with different ladies, and it's obvious he is attracted/close to them. I was surprised by his pictures with Drew Barrymore and Tilda Swinton. Doesn't mean he's not bi, of course. But I think this whole experience with rapist grandfather probably turned him off gay sex.

by Anonymousreply 23August 19, 2017 8:25 AM

I first saw him in "Rob Roy" and since then was always interested in the quality of his villains, like his ape character. I had no idea of his molestations, no wonder he can tap into his inner evil so well! His bad guy characters are so frightening, even deep in his eyes you see it. He is an a amazing actor and now I know what he went through as a kid I admire him even more. I'm glad he is such a good man, so softspoken and gracious. He channels his pain I suppose.

Remember him in "Rob Roy" with those lace cuffs! So menacing!

by Anonymousreply 24August 19, 2017 11:10 AM

It's interesting that he went through so much, and turned out to be such a caring and kind person. Him and Gary Oldman are my favorites, and while Gary had better career, it still upsets me that he is such a bitter asshole. Women beater, conservative, republican, antisemite. Roth is opposite of that.

by Anonymousreply 25August 19, 2017 11:31 AM

R24 he is similar to Kevin Bacon in that they both play evil/sleazy guys amazingly well, yet in real life are both said to be the nicest guys around.

by Anonymousreply 26August 19, 2017 5:38 PM

No more gossip about him?

by Anonymousreply 27August 19, 2017 7:00 PM

He still looks good for his age.

by Anonymousreply 28August 20, 2017 1:53 AM

He's been getting quite a bit of play around here lately. Keep it coming!

by Anonymousreply 29August 20, 2017 2:57 AM

It's strange, but watching his old movies is so upsetting in light of news about his abuse. Especially Meantime. He was so fragile, and childlike. And he was in his twenties at the time. Also his oldest son left Twitter because some people posted fake stories about him fucking little boys.

by Anonymousreply 30August 20, 2017 4:25 AM

Wow people are sick R30.

by Anonymousreply 31August 20, 2017 4:31 AM

R31

Yeah. His son talked about it and said he was extremely upset because of his family's history. No doubt he was targeted because of Tim and his story.

by Anonymousreply 32August 20, 2017 10:32 AM

His friendship with Gary Oldman is interesting because Oldman has become more and more right-wing as he's gotten older whereas Roth is still very left-wing in his politics and attitude.

by Anonymousreply 33August 20, 2017 10:55 AM

Are him and Gary Oldman still that close?

by Anonymousreply 34August 20, 2017 4:23 PM

I wasn't really familiar with the Oldman controversy so I looked it up on Wikipedia:

[quote] Some media outlets reported that Oldman was unhappy with the finished product of The Contender (2000) because DreamWorks had edited the film to reflect pro-Democraticleanings, stirring controversy. The claims were declared sloppy sensationalism by Oldman's manager, Urbanski, who summarized that Oldman was "the least political person he knew", that "neither he nor Oldman had made the statements attributed to them," that they had "produced the film every last cut and frame," and that "DreamWorks did not influence the final cut or have anything to do with it."[138]It has been suggested that Oldman was blacklisted in Hollywood for several years as a result.

[quote] In an interview in the July/August 2014 issue of Playboy magazine while promoting Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Oldman criticized what he saw as excessive political correctness in American media and the entertainment industry's own discriminating hypocrisy, while arguing in support of former controversial celebrities Mel Gibson and Alec Baldwin. He stressed that he did not relate with most of their viewpoints but regarding the former agreed, "Gibson is in a town that's run by Jews" (referring to Hollywood). After criticism from the Anti-Defamation League (ADL), Oldman apologised to them in an open letter.ADL director Abraham Foxman acknowledged that Oldman was remorseful, but felt his letter was insufficient and asked for "a little more introspection, a little more understanding and a little more education". Oldman then made a public apology on the 25 June edition of late-night talk show Jimmy Kimmel Live!, where he stressed that he was "profoundly sorry" for his "insensitive, pernicious and ill-informed" remarks.

by Anonymousreply 35August 20, 2017 5:05 PM

Oldman's family was poor as dirt. How the hell he is a conservative?

by Anonymousreply 36August 20, 2017 8:03 PM

He got his and eff everyone else that's how.

by Anonymousreply 37August 20, 2017 8:05 PM

Does anyone here remember the time when Tim had a twitter account and the tweet mentioned above?

by Anonymousreply 38August 20, 2017 9:23 PM

You ever think he grabbed his own son by the haunches?

by Anonymousreply 39August 20, 2017 9:44 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 20, 2017 9:49 PM

/////

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 20, 2017 9:52 PM

Die in a grease fire R39

by Anonymousreply 42August 20, 2017 9:55 PM

No r39 because I don't believe him to be a scumsucking moron like you.

by Anonymousreply 43August 20, 2017 11:40 PM

Found in an older thread:

He met Tim Roth when Roth was 16/17 and Oldman was 19/20, while doing LGBT/feminist pub theatre in late 70s in London. Worked together a few times after that, were visibly infatuated with each other during the filming of "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead" (great film). Roth still speaks of him with great affection, and has said that they spent weeks staying up and talking all night during the filming. He made them sound like ex-lovers and they had a series of cheeky magazine covers where they wrote things like "Tim Roth I think you are sexy" and "Gary Oldman Do Me" on their bodies.

They influenced each other's professional lives for decades, though not so much anymore, but they still never speak ill of each other.

I always thought they were in love and had an affair.

by Anonymousreply 44August 21, 2017 12:20 AM

I agree with Oldman on The Contender. When his character appears evil foreboding music sounds. Rod Lurie is a hack operating above his talents. He gets a lot of leeway for making Adult, Political Dramas.

That said, Oldman has only himself for burning his bridges. You can deal with a problem, or you can throw a tantrum and insult people. I think the only studio that will employ him is Warner Brothers.

It is little surprise he is conservative, Brexit was largely passed by the working class. The British are very clannish and territorial.

by Anonymousreply 45August 21, 2017 1:55 AM

I don't think they were in love and had affair. Oldman is messed up. He is alcoholic and women beater. I bet he is toxic poison in all of his relationship. They wouldn't be friends after that.

by Anonymousreply 46August 21, 2017 4:27 AM

Rumours from old threads.

[quote]I remember the Tim Roth/Michael Pitt hook up from way back when they made Funny Games. Someone on DL who followed Roth on Twitter remembers Roth hanging out with Michael later on and making some suggestive comments about him but Roth deleted his Twitter ages ago so any proof is long gone. You can check the MPitt threads for details.

[quote]Also back when he had a twitter, Tim Roth tweeted someting like that he has slept with lots of people when younger. Also Michael Pitt is somewhat openly bi, the only time he was asked about being bisexual ( that was more than ten years ago in an interview) he said 'Aren't all people kinda bisexual'. There were also rumours about Tim Roth and Gary Oldman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47August 21, 2017 9:02 AM

How horrible. Heard about this last year. Amazing actor.

by Anonymousreply 48August 21, 2017 9:07 AM

I loved him in Lie To Me. Such a pity it was cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 49August 21, 2017 10:54 AM

[quote]Roth has explicitly said he was raped, not just a "grabbed boob" (or whatever). It was an uncle or cousin -- he's never said which, but he's said it was incest, the perp was male, and it wasn't his father (pretty certain he doesn't have brothers). I remember reading an interview where he said the perp told him to never tell, or it would destroy the whole family. This is a pretty common MO among molesters,who often pick kids who come from vulnerable, broken families. IIRC, Roth did confide in his dad as an adult, who told him that he, too, was a survivor of child sexual abuse, which is why "The War Zone" is dedicated to his father.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50August 21, 2017 12:10 PM

This thread with speculations about him and Nicole Kidman. Don't think it's true though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51August 21, 2017 12:19 PM

About him coming out as bi on twitter.

[quote]It's been discussed on the Michael Pitt threads, [R7]. There's a rumor they hooked up at one point, some movie they filmed together. He and Gary Oldman met as teenagers doing fringe LGBT experimental theater in London back in the day and a lot of people thought they were pretty obsessed with each other for a long time, too. Weird all around, I know.

[quote]I know I'm late to the Tim Roth party but didn't we know he was bi back in the "Rosencranz and Gildenstern" days?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52August 21, 2017 12:21 PM

Just mentions of him with Gary and Michael Pitt. No details.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53August 21, 2017 12:22 PM

Michael Pitt's thread.

[quote]There's an old, old rumor that he had a fling with Tim Roth when filming that awful movie with Naomi Watts years ago.

[quote]But I do remember the Tim Roth rumour. I dunno whether it had any substance though.

[quote]He had a fling with Tim Roth back when they were filming that shitty remake with Naomi Watts a decade or so ago. Tim Roth used to have a Twitter account where he mentioned Michael with great affection once in a while.

[quote]It's strange, I remember reading something about that at the time but for the life of me I cannot remember where. It's certainly interesting anyway. What happened to Roth's Twitter account?

[quote]I'm not sure. I think he got tired of people sending him hateful shit because of his very left wing anti-religious political views that he would post about. Tim implied on his Twitter many times that he'd been with men in the past, and posted constant LGBT-supportive links, but since he's old and obscure, no one really took note. This was a few years ago - 2009 or 2010? Today he'd probably get more attention for it. Tim used to post lots of photographs since he's a hobbyist photographer. He did some show or charity at one point which Michael Pitt attended and I guess they hung out at the event together because Tim posted a few candid portraits of Michael he'd taken that were very beautiful artsy shots. A few of them included Jamie Bell, too. I'm trying to find them on Google but I don't remember the event's name and it's possible they were lost when Tim deleted his account. Hope not, they were nice pictures.

[quote]I'd love to see those too! Roth has always seemed like a great guy to me. Sucks he was chased off Twitter like that.

[quote]Yeah, it was very disappointing at the time. Roth is a huge underrated talent, but he has a reputation for being a very loose cannon. Very smart and very eccentric. It's not hard to see why he and Pitt hit it off. They seem like they'd have a lot in common.

by Anonymousreply 54August 21, 2017 12:30 PM

Watch "Everyone Says I Love You" sometime. He has a kissing scene with Drew Barrymore that's very hot.

by Anonymousreply 55August 21, 2017 12:31 PM

Thank's to the poster above for linking all these rumours and older threads.

by Anonymousreply 56August 21, 2017 12:37 PM

Not that many rumours about him. Not surprising, considering he is happily married for 25 years and had three kids. But rumour about him and Michael Pitt is so random I almost believe it.

by Anonymousreply 57August 21, 2017 2:16 PM

Loving his Twin Peaks cameo.

by Anonymousreply 58August 21, 2017 6:30 PM

Do you think he's sometimes jealous because Christoph Waltz stole all his Tarantino roles?

by Anonymousreply 59August 22, 2017 1:38 AM

R59

It's not true. Roth was supposed to play Fassbender's role in Basterds, but didn't because of another movie. Don't know about Django though. Roth's part in Basterds is very Waltz-like, everybody mentioned it. But supposedly it was written for Roth. I used to like Waltz a lot. But he is such a one trick pony. I don't understand how he won for Django. Even Leo was better.

by Anonymousreply 60August 22, 2017 2:54 AM

[quote]Roth's part in Basterds is very Waltz-like, everybody mentioned it.

In Hateful Eight?

by Anonymousreply 61August 22, 2017 5:24 AM

Christophe Waltz won because he is fucking sexy as hell in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 62August 22, 2017 6:26 AM

Waltz was perfect in Inglorious Basterds. The problem is that he was so good that he stayed in this character ever since. And yes, he is a sexy man.

by Anonymousreply 63August 22, 2017 8:48 AM

His wife is very pretty. Married for 25 years.

by Anonymousreply 64August 23, 2017 3:46 AM

How is his relationship with his son Jack? Because in this interview Jack sounded kinda bitter.... Quto: 'I’m always humble because I’m very thankful for where I am, because I’ve come from nothing. When my dad left and went to America and got married again, me and my mum sat on the dole and got ourselves out of a massive hole, so I’m kind of you know … very humble and very grateful for the jobs I’ve been allowed to work on and I’m never expecting anything. '

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65August 23, 2017 8:07 AM

[quote]also heard rumours about affairs with women like Julia Ormond

I can believe this one. The two of them starred in a very well-made British film called Captives, in which he played a prison inmate who gets involved with the prison's dentist (Ormond). Their chemistry is pretty hot and Ormond is known to bang married men.

by Anonymousreply 66August 23, 2017 8:20 AM

R65

He does sound kind of bitter. I think Tim and his mother weren't married. Don't blame Tim for going to USA though. It was important for his career. Lovely picture of Tim with little Jack (and Tarantion with Chris Penn).

by Anonymousreply 67August 23, 2017 8:49 AM

Picture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68August 23, 2017 8:51 AM

Christoph Walz won two Oscars because he's a brilliant actor. He's that fucking good. I like Tim Roth, but he's never been on that level.

by Anonymousreply 69August 23, 2017 9:00 AM

R69

He deserved his Oscar for Basterds, that's for sure. But he is not that great. Some of his roles are just embarassing. But anyway, why are we talking about him?

by Anonymousreply 70August 23, 2017 10:25 AM

That's a cute picture R68.

by Anonymousreply 71August 23, 2017 11:42 AM

Well, I am sure it was traumatic for a child to lose his father to another family at such a young age, but it happens. Family fucks you up. I mean, he should know it.

by Anonymousreply 72August 24, 2017 3:39 AM

Jack Roth's letter about the reasons why he left twitter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73August 24, 2017 8:55 AM

Collection of pics of Tim with his family. It's strange to look at them, knowing his family history, especially his pics with mother or grandmother. It surprised me, but he was criticized a lot for being vocal about his sexual abuse. Even here people called him coward.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74August 24, 2017 11:02 AM

Tim liked poppers back in the day, make what you will of that.....

by Anonymousreply 75August 29, 2017 6:32 PM

R75

How did you know that?

by Anonymousreply 76September 4, 2017 6:28 AM

[19] Tim has said the abuse happened during the summer holidays in Devon (where they filmed The War Zone) so his family must have stayed with the grandparents during the summer time. Very sad, unimaginable that someone could do that to any child let alone a toddler. Man was an animal. I can't believe his dad allowed him anywhere near knowing what he was. I am not sure I could forgive that. Tim must be a better person than me.

There was interview in the 90s when he talked about playing around with the idea of being gay but he liked girls too much so he knew he wasn't really. Doesn't mean he's not bi though ;)

and when asked who he found sexy he answered "Orson Welles, Christopher Isherwood, Michelle Pfeiffer, Anjelica Huston, Miranda Richardson, Sean Penn, Gary Oldman, Amanda Plummer" make of that what you will.

Also Sean Penn? Yuck get better taste Tim!

by Anonymousreply 77September 7, 2017 9:12 PM

R77

Well, Sean penn was sexy when he was young. Love the fact that Amanda Plummer is on the list.

by Anonymousreply 78September 8, 2017 9:13 AM

I think we will have to agree to disagree on Sean Penn. Can't disagree with anyone else on his list. He's also talked about how sexy he finds Jimmy Stewart.

by Anonymousreply 79September 8, 2017 6:53 PM

Is anyone watching his new show?

by Anonymousreply 80September 23, 2017 9:58 PM

No one? Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 81October 6, 2017 12:42 AM

Tim Roth: ‘As messy as your life can be, there has to be a window you can escape through'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82March 6, 2019 6:19 PM

In person, he doesn't give off a gay vibe, only a very open and gay-friendly one.

by Anonymousreply 83March 6, 2019 6:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!