Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

X-Men: Dark Phoenix

How did I not know that they're making this into a trilogy and that Jessica Chastain is more than likely playing Jean Grey during the Phoenix possession? I need this in my eyeballs now.

From Wiki:

X-Men: Dark Phoenix is an upcoming American superhero film based on Marvel Comics' X-Men characters, distributed by 20th Century Fox. It is intended to be the thirteenth installment in the X-Men film series, and the beginning of a new X-Men trilogy. The film is being written and directed by Simon Kinberg, and is set to star James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Nicholas Hoult, Tye Sheridan, Sophie Turner, Alexandra Shipp, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Evan Peters, and Jessica Chastain. In X-Men: Dark Phoenix, the X-Men must face the full power of the Dark Phoenix as well as the alien Shi'ar empire.

After X-Men: Days of Future Past erased the events of X-Men: The Last Stand from the series' timeline, Kinberg expressed interest in a new, more faithful adaptation of Chris Claremont's "The Dark Phoenix Saga" in a future film than his previous attempt with The Last Stand, which was not well received. The new adaptation was confirmed as a follow-up to X-Men: Apocalypse in 2016. Kinberg signed on to make his directorial debut in June 2017, when the majority of the cast was confirmed to return from Apocalypse. Filming began later that month in Montreal.

X-Men: Dark Phoenix is scheduled to be released on November 2, 2018.

by The Jean Grey Trollreply 31Last Friday at 10:13 AM

And they're including the Shi'ar Empire.

by The Jean Grey Trollreply 108/05/2017

Chastain is playing Lilandra, not older Jean.

by The Jean Grey Trollreply 208/05/2017

I just came in my pants.

by The Jean Grey Trollreply 308/05/2017

R2 That hasn't been confirmed but that makes sense! Especially considering Lilandra's relationship with Charles.

I'm so psyched for this!

by The Jean Grey Trollreply 408/05/2017

I really liked Sophie Turner as Jean Grey. She's not a supermodel but she's still quite beautiful, which I think fits the Jean Grey character perfectly. She's wholesome looking. Jean was never a vixen unless she was in Phoenix form. I was quite impressed with her.

Now I want to know who Chastain is playing.

by The Jean Grey Trollreply 508/05/2017

R2 It think you're right. Angelina Jolie was being offered the role, too (first?), but she turned it down. She would've made an excellent Lilandra, but I'm happy they got Chastain. I'm still hoping she'll play the adult Jean and/or Dark Phoenix.

Also, from their Wiki, it seems as if they're rebooting the whole series after X-Men: Apocalypse underperformed. I actually thought the film was decent, though I did not like they're take on Apocalypse. They should've made him CGI like they're doing with Thanos in Avengers. Anyway, this means Famke Jannsen is out as older Jean, which leaves the possibility open that they could've been seeking Jolie for an older Jean/Dark Phoenix and they opted for Chastain. She'd be so perfect.

[quote]In June 2017, the Shi'ar alien race was rumored to be featured in the film,[22] and Angelina Jolie was being looked at for a role, though she was not expected to accept the part. Jessica Chastain was also potentially being looked at for the same character.[23] Fox confirmed that Kinberg would direct the film, and that Lawrence, Fassbender, McAvoy, and Hoult had all signed on to return for one more film. In addition to Turner, Apocalypse actors Alexandra Shipp, Tye Sheridan, and Kodi Smit-McPhee were also confirmed to be returning, while producers for the film were revealed to be Kinberg, Singer, Parker, and Lauren Shuler Donner. At that time, Chastain was in talks to join the cast as Shi'ar Empress Lilandra, the film's villain. The film's script was said to "hew closer" to the original "Dark Phoenix Saga" by Chris Claremont and John Byrne than The Last Stand did.[3][2] It was later revealed that the character Dazzler would be appearing in the film, after being hinted in a scene that was ultimately deleted from Apocalypse.[24]

by The Jean Grey Trollreply 608/05/2017

*their take

by The Jean Grey Trollreply 708/05/2017

Chastising is confirmed as Lilandra. Jennifer Lawrence, Fassbender and McAvoy are all returning.

by The Jean Grey Trollreply 808/06/2017

I wish the Imperial Guard was going to be in this! I remember as a kid cracking up over them being such a rip-off of DC's Legion.

by The Jean Grey Trollreply 908/06/2017

Dave Cockrum created the Imperial Guard intentionally as a tribute to Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes. It was a wink to Cockrum's initial claim to fame on S&TLSH.

That Wiki article only credits Claremont for the Dark Phoenix story? John Byrne came up with over half of the plot, not to mention all of the art.

by The Jean Grey Trollreply 1008/06/2017

OMG Gladiator vs (good) Phoenix is my favorite owning from the 90's cartoon. Phoenix is just on such a different level.

I wonder if they'll include the Hellfire Club, as the Dark Phoenix seeks new experiences and stimulation. I loved Jean's naughty corset outfit.

I also presume that Gladiator and the rest of the Praetorian Guard will fight the X-men (on the moon), for her life @ the end.

by The Jean Grey Trollreply 1108/06/2017

Well I'll be then naysayer and tell everyone now - it is going to suck. Every X-Men movie has sucked (except Deadpool & Logan). These characters just don't translate into film well.

The Dark Phoenix saga was a very slow burn. From the crash, to the fight with Magneto under the volcano, the fight with Proteus, the repair of the crystal, all showed her buildup in power, and then manipulation by Mastermind led to her breakdown. They going to show all this?

Couple this with bad scripts, mediocre acting, and just that many mutants powers are hard or dull to show on screen.

by The Jean Grey Trollreply 1208/06/2017

R12, you have some good points. But the films keep making money...so those of us who like the franchise will keep getting sequels :)

by The Jean Grey Trollreply 1308/06/2017

And bad "costumes".

Part of Phoenix' appeal are her green and red comic book costumes.

The movies let me down because of the mish-mash of characters. The 1995 cartoon was okay in adding then-current "hot" characters like Gambit (who did little in the Phoenix animated story), but I'm not interested in a Phoenix story with Magneto and Mystique as the leading characters.

I don't expect the Phoenix movie story to be just the comic book characters actually in the storyline from 1976-1980 but I dread seeing Jennifer Lawrence as the star.

by The Jean Grey Trollreply 1408/06/2017

Yas!

by The Jean Grey Trollreply 1508/06/2017

[quote]I wonder if they'll include the Hellfire Club

Hellfire Club was in X-Men: First Class

by The Jean Grey Trollreply 1608/06/2017

Yeah, but they left Jason Wyngarde, out of First Class. It might be clunky to have him in a live action movie with the Shi'ar though. I would opt for as much space setting as possible.

by The Jean Grey Trollreply 1708/06/2017

First look.

by The Jean Grey Trollreply 18Last Thursday at 5:06 AM

They may as well kill this now. Jessica Chastain is box office poison. She’s the Armie Hammer or actresses. No one cares.

by The Jean Grey Trollreply 19Last Thursday at 5:07 AM

Wait, so who is Jessica Chastain playing? Sophie Turner is playing Jean Grey right? Is there a time jump or something?

by The Jean Grey Trollreply 20Last Thursday at 5:51 AM

R20 Yes to all of that.

by The Jean Grey Trollreply 21Last Thursday at 5:54 AM

I spoke too soon. The EW has revealed she's playing "an otherworldly shapeshifter who comes into contact with Phoenix."

by The Jean Grey Trollreply 22Last Thursday at 6:12 AM

Ugh, I didn’t like Sophie as Jean.

by The Jean Grey Trollreply 23Last Thursday at 6:17 AM

I didn't either r23. Having this whole thing based around her makes me nervous.

by The Jean Grey Trollreply 24Last Thursday at 6:18 AM

R23 She's an atrocious actress. I can't believe they want her to carry a movie.

by The Jean Grey Trollreply 25Last Thursday at 6:19 AM

Sophie just doesn’t have the chops to play Jean. Forcing her to attempt an American accent really didn’t help; she clearly struggled. A slightly older Sophia Lillis (Beverly in IT) would’ve been a better choice.

Now that Disney is buying Fox, I wonder what they’re going to do with all the X properties.

by The Jean Grey Trollreply 26Last Thursday at 6:26 AM

Kevin Feige is apparently ready to play with the x-men

[quote]Marvel’s Kevin Feige has an almost unblemished track record for success in superhero movies at Disney, and he lent his magic to resuscitating Spider-Man in partnership with Sony. He’s said to be eager to get his hands on the X-Men universe

But yes, I'm curious to see how this will work in practice. The x-men characters have already been explored a lot in well received movies.

by The Jean Grey Trollreply 27Last Thursday at 6:32 AM

Sophie was terrible as Jean, so I'm definitely not looking forward to an entire movie focused on her.

by The Jean Grey Trollreply 28Last Thursday at 7:13 AM

I agree with this article: Chastain will be playing a Skrull empress and that's the huge twist as it's only possible if (and when) Disney acquires Fox.

by The Jean Grey Trollreply 29Last Friday at 10:03 AM

Wait, I was wrong. The rights to the Skrull characters are already divided between the two studios. Which is nuts if you ask me.

[quote]Film rights to the Skrull race are shared between Marvel and Fox as the aliens have appeared in a wide range of comic book franchises. That said, rights to named members of the race will be divided between the studios (just as they are with the Watchers). Characters who are strongly associated with the Fantastic Four or the X-Men sit with Fox; those who are tied to franchises like the Avengers remain Marvel properties.

by The Jean Grey Trollreply 30Last Friday at 10:06 AM

I would love to see what Kevin Feige does with the X-Men. His Marvel track record speaks for itself. Maybe they should scrap this X-Men: Phoenix and start the X-Men from scratch.

by The Jean Grey Trollreply 31Last Friday at 10:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!