Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Iceman and Pyro Turn Up the Heat in Latest “X-Men: Gold” Comic

Geeky gays, get ready: Iceman and Pyro are hooking up in the latest X-Men: Gold comic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68June 29, 2019 11:35 AM

I always wnated to have sex with iceman...he even looked sexy in the saturday morning cartoon Spiderman and Friends.

and he could probably make his "ice dick" any length he wants! :)

by Anonymousreply 1July 16, 2018 9:03 PM

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!?

just read the latest X-men Gold!!! anyone with artistic talent want to draw the behind the scenes of these two!!!??!?!?

by Anonymousreply 2July 18, 2018 7:55 PM

Forgive the Nerd-rage but I'm so angry about the way they did this I could scream. IAs a gay X-Men fan since birth I've wanted this moment since I was a little gay gazing up at X2 on the big-screen in '03, and this poor facsimile of my dream is all I get after 15 years of holding my breath? Big fucking letdown.

The main gripe about this (from everyone, not just me) is that the guy Bobby fucks in 'Gold' is not the Pyro/St. John of either the comics or the films. In #23 Bobby sleeps with this dude whose name is Simon and who just so happens to have the power to manipulate fire like Pyro/St. John does (or did? As didn't Pyro die of the Legacy Virus a.k.a. Mutant AIDS back in the 'House of M' arc?). This Simon character has also apparently taken John's mutant name for some unfathomable reason. Simon isn't really Pyro, though, if you couldn't tell from his entire personality and physical appearance. St. John in the comics is a manic wiry redhead with a sadistic sense of humor and John in the films is a sarcastic bitchy brunette pixie with a serious demeanour; Simon in 'Gold' is a tall muscular blond (r. bland) niceguy with plain features who is affectionately chirpy and wisecracking.

It's actually a saving grace that this Simon guy looks and acts nothing like comic & cartoon St.John or movie John (Aaron Stanford) so we can treat them as totally separate dudes who just happen to use the same mutant name, but even so it's a big wtf and the reveal looks horrible on panel (Bobby is so off-model). I'm only getting past my salt by imagining that Bobby only fucked Simon as a proxy for the real Pyro he is missing.

tl;dr wish it was the original pyro and am very confused about it. What is going on and who is that boy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 22, 2018 11:47 AM

I thought the original comics Pyro was back in the land of the sort-of living after a big mutant resurrection plotline a year or two ago. Still, continuity is a dirty word for modern Marvel.

by Anonymousreply 4July 22, 2018 12:35 PM

I like it!

by Anonymousreply 5July 22, 2018 12:35 PM

No 30 year-old should be reading comics. Even 20 is too old, really.

by Anonymousreply 6July 22, 2018 12:37 PM

The new Pyro was in the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants for a few issues, but Iceman invited him to join the team to change his ways.

And, apparently, to take off his pants.

by Anonymousreply 7July 22, 2018 12:43 PM

R6 Bobby Drake was a timely important nudge to some young gay Millennials in their coming out process, those same Millennials now in their 20s and 30s. Bobby is still important to those few. No-one discussing him here wanted to trouble you to spend time needlessly wagging your finger, but thank you for the concern all the same.

Sorry you aren't in a good mood. Here's some sweet Bobby Drake to cheer you up. Have a great weekend!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 22, 2018 1:16 PM

R4 ah, yeah, on Earth-616 that's right.

616-St. John was resurrected by Selene Gallio in the Necrosha event (shown in X-Force, New Mutants and X-Men: Legacy) along with such illustrious mutants as Thunderbird, Synch, Stonewall (really, that's an alias), Maggott, Spoor, Barnacle, Beef (?) and the Morlock named Scaleface. Oh, and Harold Leland of the Hellfire Club.

If Pyro and resurrected-Negasonic Teenage Warhead aren't gay-lesbian solidarity then I don't know what is.

by Anonymousreply 9July 22, 2018 6:17 PM

I know comic continuity is janky af and has been forever but I just don't get how this person....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 22, 2018 6:19 PM

...is also this person, but "isn't really" at the same time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 22, 2018 6:20 PM

I vaguely remember some hints that original Pyro and his teammate Avalanche were a couple.

by Anonymousreply 12July 22, 2018 6:41 PM

^^true. Pyro & Avalanche were an ambiguous evil-duo in the cartoons (the original Saturday morning one on Fox, and the later EVOLUTION anime).

Pyro/Avalanche had a killer bitch-on-bitch battle with Rogue & Storm in one episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 22, 2018 10:21 PM

Pyro in the comics wrote trashy erotic novels as a daytime cover job. It's not news to any reader that's he's as gay as Iceman if not more so.

It's also telling that the in the Fox movies the flaming Magneto (McKellen's version, who is That Bitch) took a keen interest in Pyro in X2, even mentoring him and trusting him to act as a lieutenant at just 16 years old. Erik doesn't do that for anyone else in the X-Men world and Pyro isn't remarkable enough a mutant to break a streak over, so there must have been a compelling or familiar trait about him that flagged up for Erik.

Mags even defended Pyro early in their relationship by mocking Rogue & Bobby following a tense encounter at Bobby's parents' place, where Rogue had metaphorically drained Pyro's dick and subsequently almost killed him to save the lives of some shitheel cops (bear in mind Rogue & Pyro were supposed to be frenemies/rivals for Bobby's love in these movies). Erik's catty "we love what you've done with your HAIR" slays me every time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 22, 2018 10:33 PM

Word of God, Pyro supposed to be a gay character in the first place so this is more of a course-correction.

In January of 1981 Pyro was introduced by writers Byrne & Claremont in 'Uncanny X-Men' #141 as part of the new Brotherhood of Evil. He was drawn first as a foppish Brit attired in a louche style, and written with an affected way of speaking (one of his first lines spoken is a dismissive "la-dee-da" to mutant Blob) and a sly wit. In that issue, certain few lines of dialogue imply that Pyro is a glass-closeted gay man and that this is as much of a source of potential endangerment for him as his mutation (it was the early '80s...).

At this point in the 'Uncanny' run, Byrne was increasingly frustrated and unhappy with Claremont's draconian direction and tendency to write over his scripts and so quit just after the introduction of the new Brotherhood. Claremont, solo, took the character Pyro in a direction other than originally intended, leaving his sexuality unexplored and turning him into a more directly aggressive character with a different nationality (Pyro/St. John became Australian). There has been no explanation for these lateral changes to date, and it seems that now the character has been partially reset to his original characteristics, barring nationality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 24, 2018 11:21 AM

They're also relaunching Iceman's solo series.

by Anonymousreply 16July 24, 2018 7:50 PM

Elemental-based superpowers are inherently gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 24, 2018 8:25 PM

Uhh... wouldn't they destroy each other?

by Anonymousreply 18July 24, 2018 8:37 PM

R18 in bed? most definitely. who do we think tops?

by Anonymousreply 19July 24, 2018 9:51 PM

If Bobby isn't 100% bottom, they flip-fuck.

by Anonymousreply 20July 24, 2018 9:57 PM

In Marvel 'Fanfare' Pyro cringes in utter horror when the iconic siren Rogue, dressed in a tight minidress, playfully comes onto him. He then pushes her away one-handed, rebukes her for not focusing on the sting in hand, and finally slut-shames her for her outfit and "flirtatious spells". It's gloriously bitchy and until 'Gold' was the second gayest thing Pyro had ever been seen to do on panel (the first was dying to save the life of another man).

The Pyro of the films also antagonised Rogue and frequently tried to show her up in front of other mutants (especially Bobby), but this was misinterpreted by many filmgoers and critics as jealousy and desire for her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 24, 2018 10:42 PM

[quote] If Bobby isn't 100% bottom, they flip-fuck.

R20 he isn't. And we do. But keep going, let's see where this baby ends up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 24, 2018 10:59 PM

Off-topic but Shawn Ashmore always pinged to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 24, 2018 11:18 PM

Good that he's willing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 24, 2018 11:19 PM

[quote]Off-topic but Shawn Ashmore always pinged to me.

The ashmore twins used to live with Bryan Singer...

[quote]Good that he's willing

...so he is definitely willing.

by Anonymousreply 25July 24, 2018 11:47 PM

Oh R23 honey, those maple-twins ping for everybody.

by Anonymousreply 26July 25, 2018 12:06 AM

Could someone with Twitter @AaronAStanford about this? I want to hear his take.

Shawn is already aware as R24 points out. He's even read fanfiction. He really couldn't have been nicer about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 25, 2018 12:11 AM

I'm all for gay male representation in comics, heck, I wish there was more of it when I was a kid. Having said that, I can't get behind this sudden 180 turn of making Iceman gay, it reeks of pc tokenism. We have literal decades of Iceman lusting, panting, falling in love with and having relationships with women - this makes zero sense for the character.

If you want to introduce a gay character then create a new one. Or use one that doesn't have a long history of heterosexuality, like they did with Pyro, that works because we really knew nothing about his personal life before so you can make him whatever you want. But there are far too many pre-existing storylines to just suddenly make someone like Iceman gay. I mean, an argument could be made for him being bisexual, but not homosexual, not given his history in the comics.

by Anonymousreply 28July 25, 2018 12:56 AM

Eh, Iceman's straight relationship history was pretty weak. They had already dropped hints about him being gay before, and we know Chuck Austen wanted to establish him as gay in the early 2000s but Marvel didn't let him.

But there were definite hints.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 25, 2018 1:03 AM

They're literally doing a retraux (retcon?) of X-Men history in the GRAND DESIGN book running right now.

Wonder if Iceman will stay a gay man in this one, or they'll try to recloset him again? If Piskor is willing to shatter a thousand precious memories just so he can rewrite the sacred Jean/Scott romance (poorly)...it doesn't look good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30July 26, 2018 6:56 AM

X2 was a Bryan Singer movie so really everyone should have seen this couple coming.

Though after Disney merging with Fox I bet neither John nor Bobby can be shown as openly-gay in the movie canon. Or these guys won't even appear in that Kitty Pryde movie Marvel are set to do in a couple of years time. I don't want them to change the actors for either character either, but that will probably happen too sadly.

by Anonymousreply 31July 26, 2018 7:18 AM

Commenters (fanboy cretins) have called this a gimmick-pairing, which is absurd if you know their history and how their political stances diverge. It's actually a golden opportunity for Socratic dialogue on mutant assimilation and vigilante justice (on Bobby's side) vs, militant terrorist activism (on John's) through a personal intimate lens. Done right, it could look like a deeper more modern take on the Erik/Magneto & Xavier/Prof X. relationship.

Pyro might want Iceman and may even be willing to work with him and hear out his take on mutant rights, but that doesn't mean he's ready to put aside his every radical notion just for a subzero snuggle here & there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 27, 2018 11:01 PM

Is that one panel the full extent of their little tryst?

by Anonymousreply 33July 27, 2018 11:45 PM

^^so far this is all the visual we have, and it's a big step. Marvel still won't ever include "fuck" & "shit" in their books, so we were never getting full art of two mutant dudes 69'ing and riding each other. Yeah, it's ridiculous "protect the children" bullshit at this point (has Marvel ever visited the Internet?) but that's policy.

In the dialogue "Simon" (New Pyro) mentions them fucking three times in one night on-panel, which is further than I'd ever expected Marvel to go. Guess you have to use your imagination to fill in the blanks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 28, 2018 8:06 AM

Remember when Bobby came out and his dad disowned him and was just like, "our son’s dead, the Iceman wins"?

How many hot young things has Mr. Drake banged lately, I wonder?

by Anonymousreply 35August 1, 2018 7:11 AM

[quote]Geeky gays, get ready:

= Shoshana in Publicity: "I've posted on that f** forum. Those losers will eat up any old shit.

by Anonymousreply 36August 1, 2018 7:30 AM

Kristy in Publicity: Thanks Shoshana. Please just keep answering your own questions there till you get any kind of traction.

by Anonymousreply 37August 1, 2018 7:33 AM

[quote] AARON STANFORD: "Pyro & Iceman [..] there's a relationship there, they're friends, but there's obviously...something that doesn't quite jibe about their personalities. So there's always been a little bit of friction there."

Carpet-burn type friction?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38August 1, 2018 10:13 PM

Good to know OP but honestly? idgaf about comic canon, and just need movie!Pyro to come back alive (or at least living, and played by Aaron Stanford ofc) and talk to Bobby one last time. Even if there's no relationship.

I propose a stinger at the end of the upcoming DARK PHOENIX movie slated for next summer, or even the NEW MUTANTS movie they're doing as a spin-of from it. A quiet serious sad little epilogue where we see Bobby at the door of a hospital room, crying as he watches pale skinny sickened John sit up from a clinical bed and struggle to tell his ex-(boy)friend that he's dying of the Legacy a la PARTING GLANCES. It would be a perfect way to introduce in the hard-hitting 'House of M' storyline insidiously so that it's unsettling and intriguing but not overwhelming, and to ensure the continuation of the gay allegory so masterfully woven into the narratives of X2 & FIRST CLASS. That way there's no need to actually admit that either of them are gay or give them a romance (to placate Disney/Asian markets) but everyone watching will of course know better.

I would pay good ticket money and later even buy a DVD if an impending X-Men movie no matter how shitty included O.G. Bobby & John in a scene together directly interacting. Bonus if emotional. Just because the main books have decided to retcon and ruin these characters doesn't mean Fox/Disney MCU have to follow suit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 26, 2018 2:47 PM

I dislike the way this new fake Pyro looks. He has gaunt sunken cheeks, hair that is corn-yellow and sticks up like McDonald's fries out of their cone, squinty eyes and bizarre pec placement high on his torso.

And does this version wear glasses? He carries a pair around all the time but never seems to put them on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 26, 2018 4:17 PM

"Iceman. you're fired. (beat) FIRE. Which would kill you."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41September 5, 2018 7:07 AM

Honestly my favorite part in the Fox X-Men movies is when Logan and some of the teen mutants are escaping Xavier's school in Cyclops’ car, and PyroTeen™ turns on the car stereo as they're driving away and the CD in the player starts right in the middle of 'Bye Bye Bye' by NSYNC. Everybody reacts in confusion as this is Cyclops’ car. Like, the leader of the X-Men listens to NSYNC in his everyday life on serious X-Men missions? I love him.

by Anonymousreply 42September 6, 2018 8:44 AM

[quote]If you want to introduce a gay character then create a new one. Or use one that doesn't have a long history of heterosexuality

While I agree that would be ideal, X-Men has a sprawling cast and it's hard for the newer characters to gain any traction. (Does anyone really care about Anole or Bling?) So I think it's nice to have such a prominent character be gay, who can't so easily be forgotten. Until the next retcon anyway.

Still wish they had made more of Jamie Madrox's bisexuality, which I think was only ever hinted at.

[quote]those maple-twins ping for everybody

Aaron Ashmore was not very convincing playing queeny in an episode of Warehouse 13. I assumed he was straight.

by Anonymousreply 43September 6, 2018 12:08 PM

^^As Shawn got the part of Iceman/Bobby Drake in Bryan S ing er's X-MEN though both brothers auditioned it's probably safe to assume that he is the gay Ashmore twin, if either of them are.

by Anonymousreply 44September 6, 2018 5:54 PM

Well, both Ashmores are married to women... so...

by Anonymousreply 45September 7, 2018 2:39 AM

I love St.John - who was presumed dead - just bursting back into Bobby's life the second he comes out of the closet like "BITCH YOU THOUGHT".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46September 24, 2018 6:34 PM

While conflict rages over DC-whatever I'll just be over here, waiting for my gay Ashmore Iceman to return.

That scene where he blew on the bottleneck to freeze it for Logan in X2 turned me gay, stg. Singer hath no shame.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47October 21, 2018 11:59 PM

Iceman'n coming out should have been more controversial in my opinion. It started with Jean Grey reading his mind and learning it against his will. And then confronting Bobby about it

by Anonymousreply 48October 22, 2018 1:13 PM

[quote] Aaron Ashmore was not very convincing playing queeny in an episode of Warehouse 13. I assumed he was straight.

R43 I assumed Aaron was making fun of his brother.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 22, 2018 1:26 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 50December 21, 2018 11:05 PM

Unfortunately, the current X-Men writers and the writer of Iceman's solo book seem to have forgotten Pyro exists.

by Anonymousreply 51December 31, 2018 12:29 AM

Yeah, the solo book has been mostly absent of anything romantic.

by Anonymousreply 52December 31, 2018 12:40 AM

Colossus always struck me as gay. I think he is in the ultimate stories. I know they did a Hercules/Wolverine romance in an alternate storyline as well. I remember they hinted that the hellion empath was bi as well - as he could make anyone fall in love with him with his powers.

by Anonymousreply 53December 31, 2018 12:41 AM

You would think there'd be something since a gay man is writing his solo book, but maybe Marvel just doesn't want the book to be too gay

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54December 31, 2018 1:25 AM

^^^why does Spidey have to show up in every single comic title for no reason? It’s exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 55June 7, 2019 8:50 AM

Well Iceman has sorta been made to go back in the closet in order to save the timeline.

by Anonymousreply 56June 7, 2019 8:55 AM

Huh 56? No, he hasn't. His being gay had no effect on the timeline.

by Anonymousreply 57June 7, 2019 8:59 AM

This may help with your timeline confusion.

Personally I've never watched any of these movies but I hope it clarifies things.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58June 7, 2019 9:49 AM

That 's the movie timeline R58. I'm gonna read that article tho because I don't think I've made it through most of the X-films but that doesn't apply to the comics.

by Anonymousreply 59June 7, 2019 9:55 AM

Well, unless you count "Logan." Jackman was robbed of an Oscar nom.

I'm being serious.

by Anonymousreply 60June 7, 2019 9:57 AM

R41 that ‘Kiss From A Rose’ rendition😂😂brutal.

And I appreciate that they used a nelly guy to play Iceman in that sketch.

by Anonymousreply 61June 7, 2019 10:16 AM

[quote] idgaf about comic canon, and just need movie!Pyro to come back alive (or at least living, and played by Aaron Stanford ofc) and talk to Bobby one last time. Even if there's no relationship. I propose a stinger at the end of the upcoming DARK PHOENIX movie slated for next summer, or even the NEW MUTANTS movie.

welp that didn’t happen😕

I like the idea though. It would have made these projects way better..

by Anonymousreply 62June 7, 2019 10:17 AM

Nobody cares about the movie Iceman or Pryo. They were horribly miscast, especially Iceman. He was only cast because of Singer’s dick. Iceman needs to be recast with a real actor.

by Anonymousreply 63June 8, 2019 2:01 AM

Dream casting for an Iceman movie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64June 8, 2019 2:39 AM

R63?? script to screen the casting was fine. They weren’t facsimiles of the hep 1960s versions of their charas or the gaudy grimdark 80s ones but why would they be? These were mid 00s movies and connected perfectly with kids of that generation. Those characters still ring true now.

Because of the solid acting I didn’t even mind that Pyro had his name & ethnicity & appearance drastically changed and was played by an older actor. I liked Stanford’s chemistry with Ashmore, how they would snipe at each other and gaze sadly when the other wasn’t looking because they couldn’t figure out all these confusing FEELINGS as well their mutation problems and the whole political oppression dealio. For a throwaway C-plot I think their arc was the most compelling and well-acted in X2 & X3.

If anything some of the adult characters in the Fox movies were the ones miscast. Halle Berry as Storm?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65June 17, 2019 12:49 PM

Is DC's Icicle also gay? If not, could they turn him gay or is there a tome somewhere that says his sexuality is fixed across the DC universe?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66June 17, 2019 12:55 PM

Oh sweet summer R66. Nothing is fixed in the DC Universe.

by Anonymousreply 67June 24, 2019 2:14 PM

Iceman author Sina Grace opens up about Marvel's lack of support for gay superheroes and books

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68June 29, 2019 11:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!