Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I cant be the only 'mo on here who loves Nightmare on Elm Street 2:Freddys Revenge

Its an iconic "gay" horror film with an openly gay actor. The music, the fashions are so 80s. Incidentally, the lead actor, Mark Patton wrote an online story called JESSES LOST JOURNAL. Its the story told as if it were all real and the fact that the movie toned everything down. Its an interesting read. Just google it and you'll find it.

by Anonymousreply 156May 6, 2021 2:16 AM

Mark Patton? From Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean?!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1May 9, 2016 2:11 AM

Yes, that Mark Patton.

by Anonymousreply 2May 9, 2016 2:17 AM

Rob Rusler was hot as fuck in that movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 9, 2016 3:01 AM

Is this available streaming anywhere?

by Anonymousreply 4May 9, 2016 3:05 AM

And still looking good 30 years later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 9, 2016 3:05 AM

It's currently streaming on Netflix R4.

by Anonymousreply 6May 9, 2016 3:09 AM

I don't know what to think. At the end, the cute girl killed the homo out of Patton's character... but still it has gay bondage, kinda.

by Anonymousreply 7May 9, 2016 3:16 AM

[quote]At the end, the cute girl killed the homo out of Patton's character

Then Freddy should have killed her.

by Anonymousreply 8May 9, 2016 3:19 AM

Mark Patton created a documentary that will be out soon about this movie and his acting career as a gay man

Can't wait to see it.

I was just visiting with a friend tonight and he was saying this was his least favorite. I thought it was the campiest, but I know a lot of people found it to be a let down after the original.

And the third one was better ..........

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 9, 2016 3:58 AM

Third one was the best NOES. I knew it would be from the first death- Freddy using the kid as a puppet with his tendons as the strings. Brilliant.

Two was weird for sure. Freddy coming out of Jesse wasn't as cool as Freddy just existing on his own.

I knew from a young age that Jesse was gay. And I also knew I wanted to look like his friend Grady when I got to high school.

by Anonymousreply 10May 9, 2016 4:06 AM

Yes, 3 was the best, although 4 and 5 get credit for having Danny Hassel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 9, 2016 4:16 AM

Yaaaaasdd R11 Danny was my first crush. And although he's supposedly a traiter he's still hot to death.

by Anonymousreply 12May 9, 2016 5:11 AM

Yes, we've discussed Nightmare on Elm Street 2 several times on Datalounge. Especially around Halloween.

I feel like someone is purposely irritating me with the same questions on new threads about the same horror movies Datalounge has worked over ad nauseam.

Here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 9, 2016 5:23 AM

And here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 9, 2016 5:24 AM

How is Danny Hassel supposedly a traitor, r12?

by Anonymousreply 15May 9, 2016 5:28 AM

I think Freddy's at his scariest in 2. He's just pure evil in this one. I love the makeup and lighting. The story is interesting, but it doesn't end up making a lot of sense. I always felt like this story should have been part 5 or 6 in the series. It has that "we've run out of stories to tell" feel about it.

Besides Freddy's Dead, which has just gotten worse with age, I have to say that the Nightmare series is probably the best of the three main 80's franchises. The characters are interesting and likable and the set pieces/murders are wildly imaginative. I like to watch a few of them every now and then.

by Anonymousreply 16May 9, 2016 6:25 AM

The first, Dream Warriors with Patricia Arquette and New Nightmare are my favorites.

The weird part about this one is that even as a kid I kinda "knew" it had a lot of gay subtext and was always hoping that someone would fuck.

by Anonymousreply 17May 9, 2016 6:46 AM

R13/14 is such a dramatic bitch. Crying about a thread she hates yet she posts on them? How pathetic. FF all the way.

by Anonymousreply 18May 9, 2016 2:03 PM

R15 he enlisted in the army after 9/11 and supposedly sold weapons or something. There was some weird situation and he was dishonorably discharged. Theres a whole thred about it on his IMDB page.

by Anonymousreply 19May 9, 2016 2:06 PM

What's wrong with me commenting, r18?

I like the subject and I want to help. Just not on 3 different threads.

by Anonymousreply 20May 9, 2016 3:22 PM

My friend were also discussing poor Tuesday Knight (faux Kristen) and how Patricia Arquette has gone on to an Oscar win and two successful series, while Tuesday is still best remembered as one of the seven days of the week.

by Anonymousreply 21May 9, 2016 6:47 PM

WHET Robert Rusler??? So sexy and hot! I used to jerk off just thinking about him.

by Anonymousreply 22May 9, 2016 6:57 PM

It looks like Rusler still gets steady work in soaps, procedural TV dramas and the occasional horror.

He's not as hot anymore. I haven't seen him in anything I liked lately save for the epic Elm Street documentary, Never Sleep Again:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 9, 2016 7:09 PM

Ok I apologize R20. Sorry

by Anonymousreply 24May 10, 2016 3:47 AM

I love it! The dance scene and the one with the balls and the coach getting ass-whipped are absolutely hilarious.

I love it like I love 'Sleepaway Camp'.

by Anonymousreply 25May 10, 2016 5:17 AM

[quote] I feel like someone is purposely irritating me with the same questions on new threads about the same horror movies Datalounge has worked over ad nauseam.

Oh, really? Well, get the fuck over it, Denise. The world does not revolve around you.

by Anonymousreply 26May 10, 2016 5:24 AM

I like 3 the best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 10, 2016 6:31 AM

Rodney Eastman was a totally 80s type looker, but it always cracks me up how he is referenced by shots from #4 that didn't even make the final cut.

He was he nerdy mute in #3...

He had a whole glamorous storyline on #4 that was cut. They only left his memorable death while trapped in his waterbed

by Anonymousreply 28May 10, 2016 7:03 AM

Danny Hassel likes chocolate and is currently engaged to a cute black woman who fronts the band he plays in. He was also previously married to another black woman and I believe they have a child.

Here he is with his band...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29May 10, 2016 7:37 AM

Danny is also dabbling in stand up comedy these days...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 10, 2016 7:39 AM

I'm fond of part 2, but compared to the movies that bookend it (especially part 1), it's pretty crappy. It probably has the worst score of all the films, and it is the only film in the series that doesn't contain Charles Bernstein's infamous main Freddy Krueger theme. It also totally derailed from Wes Craven's original vision of Krueger being a vengeful ghost/monster who invades the dreams of the kids whose parents murdered him. You can tell that they probably didn't plan on there being more sequels, and since Wes didn't want any involvement, they hired new people with new ideas to make the story their own (thank goodness Wes brought everything back on track with part 3).

There are a ton of scenes in the movie that unintentionally prove just how "gay" it is. Here's a video illustration...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 10, 2016 7:54 AM

I love how three of the four Lubbock girls from the criminally underrated '80s sitcom Just The Ten of Us were in Elm Street movies--Heather Langenkamp in parts 1, 3 and New Nightmare, JoAnn Willette in part 2 and Brooke Theiss in part 4.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32May 10, 2016 7:59 AM

Elm Street 2 is basically the Halloween 3 of this series--it is a standalone film that has nothing to do with the plot line of the rest of the series. Both movies have also developed a cult following despite much derision over the years.

by Anonymousreply 33May 10, 2016 8:04 AM

The timeline is kind of weird in NOES 2. Lisa and Jessie are reading from Nancy's diary as if the events from part one happened decades before. It's as if Nancy is supposed to be a 30-something year old now and these two teens just happened upon her diary and are reading from it. And then in part three, we see that Nancy is only roughly a few years older than she was in the first film.

Also, Jessie says that Nancy "went crazy" and that her mother killed herself, but there's nothing in the other films which alludes to this.

by Anonymousreply 34May 10, 2016 8:10 AM

Robert Rusler buns

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 10, 2016 8:15 AM

Rusler was also epically killed by Grace Jones in VAMP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 10, 2016 8:16 AM

What was Joey's cut storyline from Part 4, r28?

by Anonymousreply 37May 10, 2016 5:26 PM

Wow, Hassel's comedy mostly sucks. Soldier shit talk.

What do you think he's on in the first two clips, r30? I'm thinking meth.

by Anonymousreply 38May 10, 2016 5:28 PM

r31, everything you mentioned is explained in Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy. It's worth a watch if you're a fan.

by Anonymousreply 39May 10, 2016 5:29 PM

Jessie's belief that Nancy "went crazy" and her mother killed herself isn't necessarily an inconsistency, r34.

It's exactly what the townspeople would have made of the events in the first Nightmare on Elm Street. Remember that Nancy's father and others DID believe Nancy was crazy. Freddy burned Ronee Blakley to a crisp, alone in her bed, so suicide would be a rational explanation for that.

Rational townspeople and authorities wouldn't know about Freddy or believe the details. They'd look for something that makes sense to them and tell that story.

by Anonymousreply 40May 10, 2016 5:37 PM

Part 2 was the first horror movie I ever saw, and it scared the shit out of me as a 10-year-old boy.

But I've seen much better movies since then and realize it was crap — especially in light of Elm Streets 1, 3 and 7.

by Anonymousreply 41May 10, 2016 6:00 PM

R37:

He became some type of media darling after surviving #3. I think he was supposed to be a reality type star & bmx pro.

The shots often shown of him such as the one upthread on the bike gear never appeared in the film.

You can see small illusions to it in his death scene because there are trophies & posters in his room.

by Anonymousreply 42May 10, 2016 6:09 PM

[quote][R31], everything you mentioned is explained in Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy. It's worth a watch if you're a fan.

I've seen it, but I must've forgotten about the explanations.

by Anonymousreply 43May 10, 2016 9:10 PM

[quote]What do you think he's on in the first two clips, [R30]? I'm thinking meth.

I hope not. He's still too good looking to be messed up on drugs.

by Anonymousreply 44May 10, 2016 9:12 PM

I had the biggest boner for Rodney Eastman and Danny Hassel. They were my first crushes. Having said that, Danny needs less coke and more shooping trips to Nordstrom.

by Anonymousreply 45May 11, 2016 4:52 AM

Agreed. Eastman's and Hassel's looks have both gone downhill in astonishing ways. I wish they had taken better care of themselves.

That said. Eastman is still a cool guy and a decent musician, IMO. Here is an interview he did for a jenky-ass web talk show where he is candid about his life and performs a refreshingly honest song he wrote about getting older:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46May 11, 2016 5:02 AM

[quote]Eastman's and Hassel's looks have both gone downhill in astonishing ways.

Not Danny's. He still looks great all these years later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47May 11, 2016 5:21 AM

Jesse's scream when the snake is on him in science class always cracks me up. So manly.

Question for fellow DL NOES fans- what was your favorite death in any of the movies? Or least favorite? One you can't watch b/c it's too gross?

by Anonymousreply 48May 11, 2016 5:21 AM

My fave is probably Tina's because it was creative and the very first. Freddy was also at his scariest and darkest, and hadn't been turned into an comical anti-hero yet. I've met Amanda Wyss at several conventions and told her she's like the Janet Leigh of Elm Street 1 because she's only in it briefly but it's set up like she's going to be a survivor.

My least would be anything in the abominable parts 5 and 6.

by Anonymousreply 49May 11, 2016 5:42 AM

My favorite death was Freddy's own in Elm Street 4: The Dream Master. The concept and execution of all of Freddy's victims' souls ripping their way out of him was spectacular. Awesome cinematography.

My runners-up are also the more creative and technically innovate ones: The Glen/Johnny Depp geyser from Nightmare 1, the vein-and-artery marionette for Phillip in Nightmare 3 and the "roach motel" metamorphosis for Debbie in Nightmare 4.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50May 11, 2016 5:44 AM

I used to have a hard time watching Nancy's death scene. I hated that Wes killed her off.

by Anonymousreply 51May 11, 2016 5:44 AM

Jennifer's death in Nightmare 3: The Dream Warriors is certainly the funniest one:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52May 11, 2016 5:48 AM

The title sucked too. Who was Freddy getting revenge on? No one from the first film is in this one.

by Anonymousreply 53May 11, 2016 5:49 AM

The worst Elm Street death of all time has to be Freddy's own in the worst Elm Street film of all time, Freddy's Dead.

If they're going to make a movie event dedicated to the permanent destruction of one of horror's most spectacular monsters, you'd think they'd do something more creative than knives and a pipe bomb to the gut.

Freddy's "final" death was one of the lamest, cheapest, laziest kills for ANY movie villain. The wisecracks and erupting 3-D demons just made it cornier. Not a worthy end to the franchise at ALL.

Skip to the 1:17:10 mark in the video:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54May 11, 2016 6:17 AM

Carlos's "eargasm" in Freddy's Dead and Greta's fake-looking force-feed in Nightmare 5 are runners-up for lame.

by Anonymousreply 55May 11, 2016 6:19 AM

Breckin Meyer's video game death was stupid.

by Anonymousreply 56May 11, 2016 2:44 PM

I think Tina's death in the first one was the best. Her whole nightmare scene was great-Freddy staggering after her in the alley, cutting off two of his fingers, having his face pulled off, and especially his arms stretching out and him scraping his glove against the building wall. That was creepy.

And in real life she's being flung all over the bedroom getting ripped apart while her fit boyfriend watches unable to do anything. I loved it.

The death that I don't like is Ron's in Part 2. I always felt bad that his parents were on the other side of the door listening to him being killed and yelling for them, but they couldn't help.

Every time I watch it I want to yell at Ron to go out the damn window. Pull up the shade, push it open, and run the hell away like Jesse does.

by Anonymousreply 57May 13, 2016 12:57 AM

[quote]The timeline is kind of weird in NOES 2. Lisa and Jessie are reading from Nancy's diary as if the events from part one happened decades before. It's as if Nancy is supposed to be a 30-something year old now and these two teens just happened upon her diary and are reading from it. And then in part three, we see that Nancy is only roughly a few years older than she was in the first film.

Well, in part 3 she's supposed to be a psychiatry intern which would indicate she's already completed college and is well into postgrad medical training. A psychiatry PhD is what, about 10-years of schooling and interning? That would put her close to 30. But you're right, they do speak about the original events as if they happened much further in the past and Langenkamp doesn't look very much older even though they tried.

I know most people love part 3 and hold it up as being as good as the original but I remember seeing it in the theater during its original release and being so disappointed. I hated Freddy's one-liners and the gimmick-y death set pieces. Langenkamp was never a very good actress and she definitely wasn't convincing as an almost-doctor. Wasson was really dull as the lead. And was Arquette's character named 'Kristen' or 'Kirsten'? She's called both throughout the film.

by Anonymousreply 58May 13, 2016 8:34 AM

Nancy actually says her original encounter with Freddy was "six years ago" in Part 3. So Part 3 was actually a flash-forward into the future after Nancy had gone to school for a psychology career.

I don't think Part 3's special and visual effects were gimmicky at all — especially for the time. A lot of them hold up today. They were state-of-the-art.

I loved Freddy's one-liners in Part 3 because they were truly funny and they didn't override the horrific tone. Freddy had funny one-liners in Part 1, if you'll remember. Langenkamp's acting was adequate. I relate to her and buy her as the girl next-door, unlike Rooney Mara.

r58 will be forever at odds with the fans, who favor Part 3!

by Anonymousreply 59May 15, 2016 3:26 AM

What's cool about Tina's and Glen's deaths was that Wes Craven constructed an entire revolving bedroom set with furniture and props nailed down so that he could accomplish them.

Basically, it was a giant box on a revolving spit that actors had to stay in as it spun and flung them around!

I think they show and describe it in Never Sleep Again. They said they only had one take to capture Glen's "blood geyser" death because the geyser of blood short-circuited all the lights and power, damaging them permanently :)

by Anonymousreply 60May 15, 2016 3:31 AM

My favorite Freddy death was in New Nightmare where he killed Julie. Yes it was a retread of Tina's death in part 1 but it was done in a more disturbing way because Freddy was also taunting the little kid. Plus Freddy was really scary in this one.

by Anonymousreply 61May 15, 2016 3:32 AM

I haven't seen New Nightmare in probably 15 years, but I remember a scene in the hospital where Freddy appears in a woman's room and he's wearing a black trench coat and is actually pretty creepy. I don't remember why he seemed scarier than normal, but he did.

R61 was that the scene where Julie was killed? She may have been on the phone when it happened, not sure.

Now I have to rewatch this one...

by Anonymousreply 62May 15, 2016 4:47 AM

Yep. That was Julie's death scene. I always thought that one was really scary, too. I like Freddy scary and not funny. Freddy's Dead was just a farce with Freddy acting like some second rate drag queen or something. It was really awful. His humor in 3 was still fairly sedate and twisted instead of just being goofy. 4 took a turn for the worse, but the characters were all so likable you still hated Freddy for killing them. Actually, that's one thing you have to give the Nightmare series props for - they usually had really likable characters played by actors with personalities.

by Anonymousreply 63May 15, 2016 5:18 AM

I'd like to have been in the writers room when they came up with the bondage scene. I'm also ashamed to admit i have the song Jesse dances to in his room on my ipod.

by Anonymousreply 64May 15, 2016 7:20 AM

For R61

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65May 15, 2016 7:36 AM

[quote]Langenkamp was never a very good actress

I actually think she's good. She did a hell of a job in part 1 and was really funny in Just the Ten of Us. Why she didn't go on to s bigger career I don't know, but she had said in interviews that she values her family over her career.

She was good in this Afterschool Special too...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66May 15, 2016 3:15 PM

I agree, R16. At least, part two is still scary. Freddy's Dead is far worse movie, but Freddy's Revenge had the most hated reputation. I honestly think a lot of that was people subconsciously acknowledging the gay undertones, and rejecting it.

by Anonymousreply 67May 15, 2016 3:21 PM

Femmephobia and homophobia played a big part in in popular dislike for Part 2. People didn't want a male "scream queen" and they didn't think a guy should act that way.

But in all honesty, the script has problems — breaking all of the rules that Wes Craven laid down in Part 1, making Kreuger less scary or believable in the real world, no investigation or fight response from Jesse and a lame, inexplicable ending.

That corny dance number was just the beginning of its flaws. Is the killer pet bird campy funny? I laugh when I see it now.

Spontaneous combustion with the dropping feathers is always a gas ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68May 15, 2016 8:15 PM

omg, r66!

That ABC After School Special also stars Steve Antin! He was the "Stiffler" of the '80s. Today, he's openly gay and a bad movie director (Burlesque with Cher and Christina Aguilera).

by Anonymousreply 69May 15, 2016 8:20 PM

R69 and don't forget he's the brother of Hairstylist Jonathan Antin and his sister is... whatever her name is... founder of the Pussycat Dolls.

by Anonymousreply 70May 15, 2016 8:38 PM

He's just here to do bangin' hair

by Anonymousreply 71May 15, 2016 8:41 PM

My biggest gripe with part 2 is what R68 said--they broke all of Craven's rules, rules that would be re-established in part 3 (when Craven came back on board). The new writers tried to give a new spin to the Freddy character, but it didn't work. There were no "children of Elm Street" in it.

by Anonymousreply 72May 15, 2016 11:27 PM

Pt 2 is awesome but Freddys Dead is the worst in the series. Pt 2 tried something different but it all just didn't work .

by Anonymousreply 73May 16, 2016 4:43 AM

Eastman is still attractive . Gay men are so so shall;ow

by Anonymousreply 74May 24, 2016 2:39 AM

The leather coach was hot, but they killed him off too fast. I know there's a lot of stories about why the movie seems so gay, including that the original protagonist was to be a girl. And the rewrite didn't take that into consideration enough. I don't really care why, but it definitely wasn't intended to be a daring pro-gay horror movie. They knew the audience would cheer killing a fag. That's how the Freddy guy took it. He was quoted in Fangoria at the time that the public loved seeing him killing fags, etc, referring to that movie. When the quote was repeated elsewhere, "fag" was removed, but that was the original quote. After wanking to the coach a few times, I never looked back. It has the cheapest effects and it's just one of the worst in the series too.

by Anonymousreply 75May 24, 2016 3:22 AM

Honey, R75, i need links to that. I'm an embarrassingly NOES obseessed fan and know the movies inside and out and know a lot of BTS stuff. I never heard once that the protagonist was originally a female and there was a major rewrite. I also seriously doubt Robert Englund would say anything referring to enjoying killing fags as hes been a longtime supporter of the gay community-even going back to the 80s. Nice try troll.

by Anonymousreply 76May 24, 2016 4:05 AM

Thanks to this thread, I broke down and ordered the Blu-ray set. Mainly so I can see the gay subtext in 2, but also to see if I still drool over Rodney Eastman. I'm actually looking forward to seeing the movies, a few of the later ones for the first time.

by Anonymousreply 77May 24, 2016 6:51 AM

Wrong, r75. There was no rewrite on Elm Street 2 and David Chaskin always intended Jessie's role to be male and a metaphor for internal gay panic.

Watch Never Sleep Again. Chaskin and the others describe it.

by Anonymousreply 78May 24, 2016 9:23 PM

Danny Hassel from pts 4 and 5 is the hottest Elm St guy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79May 24, 2016 9:54 PM

Rusler, Jsu Garcia or Rodney Eastman (Joey) over Hassel any day!

But he is a stud.

by Anonymousreply 80May 25, 2016 2:02 AM

There's no gay subtext in 2, it's homophobic subtext. Even Ebert called it out for that, at the time. The 'monster' is the guy's homosexuality. It's really one of the most homophobic movie ever made...the script writer won't talk about it, because he's afraid of the controversy. The guy who starred in it is trying to make a documentary about it that makes it seem like it was 'empowering'...LOL!! Luckily, it's really crappy and out of continuity, so no one really cares about it.

by Anonymousreply 81May 25, 2016 2:36 AM

Ultimately what we learn in NOES2 is that gays can be saved by the love of a good woman, in this case, Meryl's daughter!

by Anonymousreply 82May 25, 2016 2:53 AM

[quote]Rusler, Jsu Garcia or Rodney Eastman (Joey) over Hassel any day!

Rusler and Garcia are close, but Eastman's not even in the running.

Danny is, in the words of Alice, "one major league hunk."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83May 25, 2016 5:23 PM

I got a boner for joey in part 3 and 4.

by Anonymousreply 84May 25, 2016 5:51 PM

How does r81 or any literature talk about homophobia without any gay text?

By definition, homophobia ALWAYS refers to gay content.

by Anonymousreply 85May 25, 2016 8:35 PM

You can't have homophobia without gayness.

by Anonymousreply 86May 25, 2016 8:35 PM

Wrong, r81.

Chaskin admits in Never Sleep Again that it's about the fear of having homosexual desire and not being able to escape it — what we would call internalized homophobia.

Just because it's not empowering, doesn't mean it's invalid subject matter for a movie. Yes, the implication is the belief that homosexuality is wrong, but you must understand Nightmare 2 is a product of its time and it took great balls just to broach the subject in a Hollywood popcorn movie, especially unbeknownst to the cast and crew.

All Robert Englund was saying in the documentary is that he, PERSONALLY, had always been tolerant and supportive of gays throughout his career, even back in the '80s, so he wasn't bothered by gay subject matter at all, or fans who picked up on the metaphor in Nightmare 2.

I don't know what Mark Patton is trying to make of it, other than he prides himself on being the first male "Scream Queen." I guess we'll see if his doc ever comes out.

by Anonymousreply 87May 25, 2016 8:45 PM

Mark Patton seems like a really sweet guy but a bit of a drama queen for blaming the screenwriter for ruining his career for adding so much gay subtext to it. And I have to ask... Which of you DL slut have had them?

by Anonymousreply 88May 26, 2016 4:51 AM

Patton got really fat.

I guess he ate away his anxiety

by Anonymousreply 89May 26, 2016 4:55 AM

R89, it's HIV med stomach bloat. He's open about it, which is smart, because he has serious poz face these days.

by Anonymousreply 90May 26, 2016 5:15 AM

I think Mark Patton would be an easy lay.

Go for it, r88, and report back to us!

by Anonymousreply 91May 26, 2016 4:25 PM

I think what really hurt Patton was the fact that he was never terribly convincing as a straight male. Had he been starting out, say, in the late 90's when shows like Will and Grace were finally giving gay actors stuff to do, he might have had more opportunities. Hell, if he'd wanted to go back to the theatre, I'm sure there would have been some parts for him.

by Anonymousreply 92May 27, 2016 10:54 PM

"I cant be the only 'mo on here"

Who has no self-respect? Who is really a straight person?

No, I'm guessing you're not.

by Anonymousreply 93May 28, 2016 12:04 AM

^^Get a sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 94May 28, 2016 12:07 AM

^^Quit being a bitch clown for approval.

by Anonymousreply 95May 28, 2016 12:28 AM

^^Unclench.

by Anonymousreply 96May 28, 2016 12:30 AM

Dumvida??? She's the 'mos troll.

by Anonymousreply 97May 28, 2016 3:57 AM

Hi R93. OP here and I'm gayer than NOES2. I assume we're mostly gay on here and mostly have a sense of humor. Me saying 'Mo is based more on solidarity than disrespect. Get a grip you eunich queen.

by Anonymousreply 98May 28, 2016 5:29 AM

R87 Gosh, that's apologist drivel. It's a homophobic movie. Period. You can't say "for the time" because people had enough consciousness to call it homophobic At the time. The monster is homosexuality, and the monster kills people including the gay coach who tries to have sex with a student. I'm clearly not wrong because you're basically agreeing with me but trying to excuse it. Badly. To say that 'internalized homophobia' is a subject films can cover is silly, because the movies not about internalized homophobia, it's about the complete evil of 'latent' homosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 99May 29, 2016 4:43 AM

Another homophobic Datalounge thread filled with pretend gay people like the asshole OP.

by Anonymousreply 100May 29, 2016 4:49 AM

Freddy killed straight people too. He butchered Tina right after she got finished fucking her boyfriend. Does that make him heterophobic? He killed Nancy's parents, both who are middle aged. Does that make him agephobic? He killed black people. Does that make him racist? He killed geeks. Does that mean he hates intelligent people? He killed jocks, hoods, a martial artist, an exercise freak and a swimmer. Does that mean he hates people who fit into those molds as well?

by Anonymousreply 101May 29, 2016 4:55 AM

Has Linda Purl commented yet?

by Anonymousreply 102May 29, 2016 5:09 AM

R101 You're really dumb.

by Anonymousreply 103May 29, 2016 5:10 AM

[quote][R101] You're really dumb.

And you're incredibly stupid, so I guess that makes us even.

by Anonymousreply 104May 29, 2016 5:12 AM

R104 No, I'm just observant. Honestly, if you can't tell the movie is homophobic there's something seriously wrong with you, The MONSTER in the movie IS homosexuality. It was so obvious that critics like Roger Ebert called it out for that. You're just super, super dumb.

by Anonymousreply 105May 29, 2016 5:15 AM

No, R105, you're just super, SUPER idiotic. And you're reaching for something that's not there. Freddy is Freddy, Jessie was Jessie and you're a loser with an axe to grind over the worst, most lambasted film in an '80s horror series. Get help.

by Anonymousreply 106May 29, 2016 5:19 AM

Part 2 isnt nearly the worst in the series (hello Freddys Dead) and its still dark, scary Freddy. And its gay AF.

by Anonymousreply 107May 29, 2016 5:28 AM

I disagree about Freddy being dark or scary in pt 2. He wasn't in the shadows as much as he was in the first film, and he wasn't scary at all.

by Anonymousreply 108May 29, 2016 6:10 AM

Englund did say fag, in the original quote, which is probably on the internet but I don't link fetch. He's also a Republican. And I remember a quote about him being in a parade in a liberal town, and how bad-ass he felt fucking up their nice liberal-town parade as Freddy. How about fetching a link where he said something pro-gay at the time, not decades later when it became fashionable? Not that I care, obsess about the shitty movie all you want.

by Anonymousreply 109May 29, 2016 7:42 AM

It's still an interesting movie with some worthwhile artistry in it, r99.

You're the kind of knee-jerk, politically correct retard who would argue there's nothing worthwhile about watching a Leni Riefenstahl movie because of the politics she was supporting.

I can appreciate the good points of a film, not just the bad. And I respect how brave and interesting it was to sneak a gay metaphor into a major, Hollywood popcorn movie.

Besides, the movie can work on its literal level, too, being just about a murderous demon. Thats how most moviegoers and the cast and crew understood it.

FYI, I recommend gay people to watch Cruising despite its demonization of gays to learn about the ways straight people think about and portray us.

And the Maltese Falcon, Irreversible, Clue, Blazing Saddles and plenty of other classic films are excellent, despite anti-gay moments.

Your absolute intolerance is moronic and denying any credit is unfair.

by Anonymousreply 110June 9, 2016 5:23 AM

[quote]Englund did say fag

So what? Times change, as do people. I'm sure Englund wouldn't go out of his way to hurt anybody, gays included. I've met the man several times and a more congenial person you will not find in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 111June 9, 2016 10:41 PM

Patton really was cute. I had such a crush on the Meryl looking chick who can act :)

by Anonymousreply 112June 10, 2016 2:53 AM

I also had a huge crush on Lisa Wilcox from 4 and 5

by Anonymousreply 113June 10, 2016 2:59 AM

R112, Kim Myers can act!

by Anonymousreply 114June 10, 2016 9:54 AM

Sorry R112, I'm hungover and read it as "can't act."

by Anonymousreply 115June 10, 2016 9:56 AM

I remember watching this flick when i was 13 and thinking it had a lot of gay undertones. And I thought the best friend was hot. The gay subtext was actually done on purpose, and the filmamkers lowkey manipulated the lead actor.

by Anonymousreply 116June 10, 2016 11:05 AM

Anyone watching the marathon on Syfy?

by Anonymousreply 117June 12, 2016 4:07 AM

It seems strange that almost none of the actors in the Freddy films went on to do anything really big except Patricia and Johnny, a lot of the actors in the series were decent actors. I know Heather and her husband run an FX company so she's still in the business but behind the scenes. Why did Lisa Wilcox stop acting, she was in the recent documentary and she was still a very nice looking woman.

by Anonymousreply 118June 12, 2016 4:27 AM

R118 Lisa was on General Hospital prior to Nightmare 4, her General Hospital Co star was none other then Tuesday Knight who played Valley on that soap

After Nightmare 4 opened, Lisa had a recurring role on the nighttime soap opera Knots Landing playing Ellen. Friday VII heroine Lar Park Lincoln was a regular on Knots at that time playing the villainous Linda Fairgate. While Betsy Palmer was recurring on Knots at that time too as Aunt Ginny.

by Anonymousreply 119June 12, 2016 5:10 AM

R118 I'm not surprised that most of them didn't go on to do anything. With the exception of Heather and Depp most of the acting WAS bad. It wasn't until perhaps the fifth installment where the majority of the acting wasn't cheezy. Even Patricia's performances weren't great.

by Anonymousreply 120June 12, 2016 5:50 AM

Um excuse me R118?

by Anonymousreply 121June 12, 2016 6:03 AM

I always like the Nightmare series, because all the victims were usually pretty likable and well acted. They seemed like real kids and I liked that. Then again, the scripts were usually a lot better than the Friday the 13th or Halloween series (as entertaining as some of them may be).

by Anonymousreply 122June 12, 2016 6:14 AM

Patricia Arquette is a terrible actress, R120. I truly believe the only reason she won an Oscar for Boyhood was because she allowed the audience to see her get fat and old over the course of a single film.

by Anonymousreply 123June 12, 2016 6:22 AM

Patricia is a better actress than her replacement Tuesday Knight. I thought Patricia's acting at the end of part 3 where she's cradling a dead Nancy was excellent

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124June 12, 2016 7:30 PM

She was fabulous in True Romance

by Anonymousreply 125June 12, 2016 7:41 PM

I just saw a picture of the lead from Nightmare 2 and Holy Shit! :-o

by Anonymousreply 126June 16, 2016 6:27 AM

Just saw this tonight it’s such a guilty pleasure of mine lol Ron is tbe hottest guy in the entire Franchise by far. Jesse totally wanted him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127October 21, 2018 7:32 AM

r101, Freddy didn't kill the swimmer. Yvonne was one of the few who survived.

by Anonymousreply 128October 21, 2018 9:04 AM

This Rusler troll is annoying. He was not that good looking. Get better taste in men.

by Anonymousreply 129October 21, 2018 9:55 AM

Halloween bump for those who don't know this scary story!

by Anonymousreply 130November 1, 2018 3:30 AM

How did the original thread get "Closed?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131November 1, 2018 3:30 AM

Bitch I love this movie! I love the whole series.

by Anonymousreply 132November 1, 2018 4:29 AM

It's a damn shame Paramount and AMC have to edit all the good parts out of it this year.

They just blanked out the language "shit" and "dick" from DREAM WARRIORS.

by Anonymousreply 133November 1, 2018 5:39 AM

Its cable why are they such pussies?

by Anonymousreply 134November 1, 2018 7:46 AM

Basic cable is supported by ads, so they still have to keep it clean.

There are, however, some advertisers who would pay with the graphic content intact; something they should do for holiday marathons, I think.

But then they'd make less money, I'm sure.

Today, they "Pan and Scanned" Nancy's tits out of ELM STREET 1 when Freddy pulled her under the bathtub. A true massacre!

by Anonymousreply 135November 1, 2018 7:57 AM

Ehh i thought Dan from part 4 was cuter R127

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136November 1, 2018 2:13 PM

Did anyone see Freddy in the Goldbergs? Never thought we'd see Robert don the makeup ever again after the remake from several years ago. He looked strikingly different with the weight gain, but it was nice to see him again.

by Anonymousreply 137November 1, 2018 4:32 PM

No, I'll have to look up his episode some day.

by Anonymousreply 138November 1, 2018 5:46 PM

The goldbergs is still on the air?

by Anonymousreply 139November 1, 2018 9:38 PM

The jockstrap fight was a highlight!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140November 2, 2018 1:41 AM

R140 nice showing what he used to get the role.

by Anonymousreply 141November 2, 2018 2:34 AM

Wish we had gotten to see Grady in his strap.

by Anonymousreply 142November 2, 2018 3:34 AM

The hottest guys in the franchise are Danny Hassel, Nick Corri (Jsu Garcia), and Robert Rusler, with an honorable mention of elder hottie John Saxon. Notice I didn't say Johnny Depp.

by Anonymousreply 143November 29, 2018 1:01 AM

Depp was at prime cuteness but he was always too scrawny for me. Though he does show off a surprisingly decent butt in Private Resort from a year or so after NOES.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144November 29, 2018 1:13 AM

Well, SCREAM QUEEN is finally out and FREDDY'S REVENGE screenwriter David Chaskin sheds some more light on what FREDDY'S REVENGE's subtext was supposed to mean.

Freddy the killer was supposed to be an allegory for homophobia, homosexual desire and death by AIDS:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145March 9, 2020 9:18 PM

Here's an interview where David Chaskin expounds:

[quote]Yes, there was certainly some intentional subtext but it was intended to play homophobic rather than homoerotic. I thought about the demographics for these types of films (young, heterosexual males) and tried to imagine what kinds of things would truly frighten them, to the core. And scary dreams that make them, even momentarily, question their own sexuality seemed like a slam dunk to me.

[quote]If you really wanted to have fun, one might argue that the entire movie is a metaphor -- Jesse is, in the end, finally able to control the monster inside him (his latent homosexuality) with the love of a good woman. Maybe they should show this film at one of those evangelical deprogramming sessions where they try to “fix” gay people into regular Americans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146March 9, 2020 9:19 PM

Is he well? The guy ikon the right is older than him...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147August 22, 2020 11:49 PM

I don't get why people say this movie has gay "subtext". There's a scene where the main character's gym coach gets stripped naked, tied up, and spanked, all while the protagonist watches from the corner, also naked. This is after they meet at a leather bar. That's not subtext.

by Anonymousreply 148August 23, 2020 12:00 AM

OMG iHop is playing that Cathy Dennis version of “Touch Me All Night Long” right now!

I’ve never heard this publicly before. Not even in the ‘90s.

by Anonymousreply 149April 22, 2021 7:57 PM

This thread has been done like 50 times but I love watching this movie over and over for how gay it was. Jesse was a nelly lil you know what and the super nelly bitchy coach picks him up in a gay bar and drags him back to his gym to torment him! I commented to the guy who played the coach on Twitter about the coach being gay and he denied that the nelly bitchy queeny coach was gay. I mean, come on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150May 6, 2021 12:16 AM

I recently watched the doc. "Never Sleep Again" and he was all smiles about his experience on the movie. Now he's all bitter.

by Anonymousreply 151May 6, 2021 12:30 AM

Robert Rusler was so fucking hot. He did not nude scenes back in the '80s.

Sad.

by Anonymousreply 152May 6, 2021 12:34 AM

Mark Patton is HIV-positive, R147.

by Anonymousreply 153May 6, 2021 1:35 AM

One reason Mark became “bitter,” r151, is that Chaskin didn’t reveal his gay intentions until NEVER SLEEP AGAIN.

Chaskin and the director denied for years there was any homoerotic content despite Patton’s suspicions. And Chaskin even blamed Patton for making it too gay rather than himself.

I think they sorted it all out in SCREAM QUEEN and Patton got the apology/perspective he was looking for.

Patton now happily does conventions, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 154May 6, 2021 1:51 AM

Patton is bitter because he's a terrible actor and he's not star material.

by Anonymousreply 155May 6, 2021 1:54 AM

Yummy r3 ! Thanks for the tasty link!

by Anonymousreply 156May 6, 2021 2:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!