Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What's My Line?, thread 2

A continuation of "I don't think the other members of the What's My Line panel, liked Dorothy Kilgallen."

Might I benefit from your service?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27February 29, 2024 8:08 PM

Would I get strange looks if I was carrying your product in my hands, walking down 5th Ave.?

by Anonymousreply 1February 25, 2024 11:28 PM

Victor Borge is right up there with Wally Cox as most dreaded guest panelist of all time.

by Anonymousreply 2February 25, 2024 11:34 PM

Mystery guest won't you sign in please!

by Anonymousreply 3February 25, 2024 11:43 PM

Would you be characterized as a glamour gal?

by Anonymousreply 4February 25, 2024 11:44 PM

Somebody already started thread 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5February 25, 2024 11:44 PM

My big question is if you could do this show today and still make it fun.

by Anonymousreply 6February 25, 2024 11:58 PM

Are you appearing in a PIK-cha currently playing on Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 7February 26, 2024 6:39 AM

Are blindfolds all in place panel?

by Anonymousreply 8February 26, 2024 6:41 AM

John Chahles Daly.

by Anonymousreply 9February 26, 2024 7:37 PM

Since she was discussed on the previous thread, Barbara Feldon recently published her memoir.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 27, 2024 2:57 PM

At least Barbara got I Dream of Jeannie. Probably better than the new Dorothy on WML.

by Anonymousreply 11February 27, 2024 5:09 PM

Just watched two Paul Winchell episodes. How on earth were ventriloquists considered top-flight entertainers?

by Anonymousreply 12February 27, 2024 11:46 PM

Well you see, R12, they barely move their lips.

It worked even better on radio!

by Anonymousreply 13February 28, 2024 4:44 AM

R11......uh........

by Anonymousreply 14February 28, 2024 3:57 PM

the trolley car operator that got both Arlene and Dorothy a little wet down there. "what would we do together outdoors?" In their defense he's ridiculously good looking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 28, 2024 10:46 PM

Not a chance, R6. Our world of celebrity is much to diffuse, making the mystery guest very hard to pull off now. And so many of the lines the contestants had were “unusual” because we used to have a very strict view of gender-appropriate work.

by Anonymousreply 16February 28, 2024 10:55 PM

Yeah if the lady came out looking gorgeous, sophisticated, and dressed in high fashion you knew she was going to be a pig farmer or drive a garbage truck.

by Anonymousreply 17February 28, 2024 11:01 PM

I don't know about that, R16. There are so many new fields today that didn't exist even ten years ago...

I could imagine a reboot on a cable channel -limited number of episodes and everybody dressed up and very correct. Replicating the original show, right down to signing in with chalk and having a cardboard flip chart for scoring. Comb through Hollywood and Broadway for erudite, intelligent stars to be on the panel. Maintain most of the strict codes for language so the stars have to demonstrate creativity and wit, rather that crude language and sex. Because of these quirks and the limited-run nature of the show (and the flattery that you'd likely be guessed) you could probably get some superstar names for mystery guests. Sadly, it would probably be for a very select audience -But it would be a wonderful accompaniment to a biography of Arlene Francis or Bennett Cerf, or a documentary history of What's My Line?

by Anonymousreply 18February 29, 2024 12:21 AM

[quote] Comb through Hollywood and Broadway for erudite, intelligent stars to be on the panel.

Are you producing the show for DLers or the general public? The latter's not interested in erudition & intelligence.

by Anonymousreply 19February 29, 2024 12:26 AM

DOROTHY: "Is it fair to say by the sound of your entrance that men find you particularly attractive?"

100% RED-BLOODED HE-MAN JOHN CHARLES DALY: "Let me be the first to say: Holy moley! Do they ever!"

by Anonymousreply 20February 29, 2024 12:27 AM

Have we established that he's not in the armed services?

by Anonymousreply 21February 29, 2024 1:53 AM

The respect for elected officials from both parties certainly sounds foreign to modern ears.

by Anonymousreply 22February 29, 2024 1:59 AM

R22, and the amazing ability to have members of the armed forces and employees of the Federal government, including politicians, on the show without a single panelist feeling the need to air their own opinions and lecture the audience on some hot topic or other.

by Anonymousreply 23February 29, 2024 7:47 AM

R18, the key would be the limited run because R16 is right. At least in the world of entertainment, everything is so niche-marketed today that only top Hollywood stars would be familiar to a wide enough audience. We no longer have the national popular culture we had in those days.

But, if they did try to make a new show that was close to the original, who should be on the panel? Unfortunately, at the moment I can only think of big stars, who of course would never take such a small job, but one who comes to mind is Julianne Moore. She'd be perfect. Tom Hanks would also probably be good. Not that either of them would ever consider something like this.

The original panel were not big stars, though. Who could be on a panel like this today - someone who could conduct him or herself with restraint, like (as they would have said in the '50s) a lady or gentleman and be or at least sound smart and worldly?

by Anonymousreply 24February 29, 2024 8:11 AM

Fran Lebowitz would be a great panelist on a rebooted show.

by Anonymousreply 25February 29, 2024 11:26 AM

Joanna Lumley would bring class, style, wit, and the right touch of bawdy.

by Anonymousreply 26February 29, 2024 5:55 PM

I wouldn't try to go with stars for the panel. I'd go for well-spoken people who are generally known in their fields. Here are some:

Mika Brzezinski

Anderson Cooper (or another gay newscaster)

Leonard Maltin

Jodie Foster

John Legend

Mayim Bialik

I think Foster would get into it, even though she's A-list.

by Anonymousreply 27February 29, 2024 8:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!