Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What Books Are You Reading In 2023? Part 4

Previous thread

I’m starting Tomorrow and Tomorrow And Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin. Quite pathetically, because Graham Norton recommended it. And Matthew Perry’s memoir, just because.

I chose Moby Dick to listen to during chemotherapy. I need to get through the classics whilst I still can.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259January 22, 2024 11:45 PM

I wonder whether Graham Norton has read it...

by Anonymousreply 1November 1, 2023 11:21 PM

I loved Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow. I had avoided it for over a year because I didn’t think I would relate to the characters (I’m not a gamer), but I was wrong—it’s a terrific read.

I’m about 2/3 through The Brothers Karamazov. I enjoy big classics once in a while.

by Anonymousreply 2November 1, 2023 11:25 PM

I’m reading how now brown come by teet

by Anonymousreply 3November 1, 2023 11:28 PM

Blue Latitudes by Tony Horowitz. It's about Captain Cook, not a biography, more narrative nonfiction. Yes, full of sailors who taste of the lash.

by Anonymousreply 4November 1, 2023 11:28 PM

What brand of shit spray do you buy?

by Anonymousreply 5November 1, 2023 11:30 PM

I remember enjoying TOMORROW x3 for the first 2/3 until it turned very sour. And the sourest parts were mostly about the female character, especially surprising as the author is a young woman.

by Anonymousreply 6November 2, 2023 12:02 AM

Liked TOMORROW too, despite my misgivings. Just found Dan Chaon's AWAITING YOUR REPLY on the shelf. Looks intriguing. Anyone read it?

by Anonymousreply 7November 2, 2023 1:52 AM

I gave up on Dan Chaon several books ago.

by Anonymousreply 8November 2, 2023 2:44 AM

Harold Acton, Memoirs of an Aesthete (1939-1969). Wonderful. Knew everyone.

by Anonymousreply 9November 2, 2023 2:48 AM

Dan Chaon's first 2 books AWAIT YOUR REPLY and YOU REMIND ME OF ME were both spectacular reads. Highly recommend both. Everything I've read of his since then have not measured up, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 10November 2, 2023 3:05 AM

Has anyone read the Brit best-selling whodunnit THE APPEAL by Janice Hallett? 200 pages in and I can't put it down.

by Anonymousreply 11November 3, 2023 1:28 AM

It won a CWG Dagger, so it was on my list r11.

Is it a stand alone?

by Anonymousreply 12November 3, 2023 12:13 PM

It is, r11. All told in emails, texts, letters, etc. Wonderful fun. Very witty and a great mystery. centered around an amateur theatre group rehearsing All My Sons. I think it has to be read quickly, easy to lose the thread of all the characters and subplots.

by Anonymousreply 13November 3, 2023 2:05 PM

My hands and my pussy.

by Anonymousreply 14November 3, 2023 9:24 PM

Bless my twitchin snatch

by Anonymousreply 15November 3, 2023 10:32 PM

I believe there were mixed feelings on the previous thread about Demon Copperhead but I thought it was great. I loved the main character’s voice and was highly engaged for the 500+ pages. The end was somewhat abrupt but I assume that was to align with David Copperfield.

by Anonymousreply 16November 3, 2023 10:44 PM

Just curious, r16, but it sounds like you haven't read David Copperfield? As someone who has (and loves it), Demon Copperhead just felt like a facile rip-off.

On a a somewhat similar note, I recently read Jo Baker's Longbourn, which is a novel about the servants of the Bennet household of Pride and Prejudice. But rather than an obvious re-telling of P&P through the servants' point of view, it's very much their own story with the Bennet family in the background. I found it a brilliant conceit and loved the book.

by Anonymousreply 17November 3, 2023 11:37 PM

Just finished mystery writer SA Cosby’s All the Sinners Bleed.

He’s a real talent. Violent stuff, though.

I tore through it.

by Anonymousreply 18November 3, 2023 11:42 PM

I read Crosby's RAZORBLADE TEARS, and enjoyed it to a point, but his depiction of the gay scene was pitiful, much like rendered by the straight man that he is.

by Anonymousreply 19November 4, 2023 2:06 AM

I just read "Sing Unburied Sing" by Jesmyn Ward. She's a powerful writer but it was such unrelenting grimness. Before that I read Stephen King's "Carrie" for the first time -- vivid and actually scary.

Leaving for a beach vacation tomorrow. I packed "Book of Numbers" by Joshua Cohen because I loved "The Netanyahus." But if that's a dud I also am bringing "True Grit" by Charles Portis which I've never read.

by Anonymousreply 20November 4, 2023 3:02 AM

In the last month, Daniel Mason's North Woods (a single plot of land, a glorious orchard, and 250 years of its haunted and haunting owners); Lawrence Durrell's Clea (the last novel in the Alexandria Quartet); Jonathan Wilson's A Palestine Affair (set during the British Mandate in Palestine); Justin Torres's We the Animals (a terrific gay novel); Your Table Is Ready: Tales of a New York City Maitre'd (sex at the tables, under the tables, in the kitchen, at the bar, in the cloakroom, and some juicy moments in, of all places, the Mineshaft); Louis Begley's Wartime Lies (a Jewish aunt and nephew on the run from the Nazis) and also Begley's Mistler's Exit (rich businessman runs off to Venice after a cancer diagnosis and takes up with a young woman).

Each worth your time by my humble estimate.

by Anonymousreply 21November 4, 2023 3:18 AM

TRUE GRIT is terrific, r20. I'm looking forward to reading more of Portis. (His novels have been collected in a Library of America volume.)

by Anonymousreply 22November 4, 2023 12:44 PM

I'm reading this book on 9/11 called The Only Plane In The Sky - An Oral History of 9/11 - it is a vivid retelling of the horrible events of that day.

by Anonymousreply 23November 4, 2023 12:51 PM

Reading the new Bryan Washington book. It’s okay so far. A lot of sex.

by Anonymousreply 24November 4, 2023 1:10 PM

You all have a big appetite for sex crime and negativity

by Anonymousreply 25November 4, 2023 1:18 PM

I just finished THE ZONE OF INTEREST by Martin Amis and found it very good. Intelligently written and rather unflinching it’s told in the viewpoints of a highly connected SS officer, the commandant of the camp (Auschwitz) and a Jewish kapo who is in charge of figuring out how to dispose over an increasingly high body count. I feel like the “banality of evil” is an overused phrase when referring to the Holocaust, but it could not be more apt to describe what’s going on in this novel. This is Amos’s final novel.

A film adaptation is being released next month.

by Anonymousreply 26November 4, 2023 6:48 PM

Bible - New International Version

by Anonymousreply 27November 4, 2023 7:00 PM

I started THE GUEST by Emma Cline yesterday afternoon and couldn't put it down. Read 100 pages before I went to sleep last night.

by Anonymousreply 28November 5, 2023 12:40 PM

I really tried to get in to THE NETANYAHUS but it's just too intellectual and esoteric for me. And I'm a Jewish baby boomer.

by Anonymousreply 29November 7, 2023 3:10 AM

Homecoming

by Anonymousreply 30November 7, 2023 3:37 AM

Just finished "Hunting Eichmann" and "The Brigade" (WwII vengeance by Jews); have begun "Seven Men at Daybreak" (assassination of Reinhard Heydrich).

Yes, there's a theme. A very satisfying theme.

by Anonymousreply 31November 7, 2023 3:48 AM

You'd probably like "The Origin of the Inquisition in Fifteenth century Spain" by Netanyahu pere. The idea was that here evolved the categories and thinking methods of modern racism.

by Anonymousreply 32November 7, 2023 3:51 AM

Nobody expected your post, r32.

by Anonymousreply 33November 7, 2023 4:18 AM

About to start Boyslut by Zachary Zane and am trying to bootleg Prequel by Rachel Maddow (I’m too broke to buy it). . I’m going to check out The Appeal. It sounds good.

by Anonymousreply 34November 7, 2023 6:11 AM

R34, everything I read about ZZ makes me want to attach him to several bags of antibiotics. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 35November 7, 2023 6:20 AM

Don't even begin THE APPEAL unless you have a couple of free leisurely days because you're going to need to not be distracted. Fantastic book but it needs your undivided attention, as all the characters and plot lines are introduced (and really until the very end IMO). A great fun read.

by Anonymousreply 36November 7, 2023 12:57 PM

New Bryan Washington book isn’t that great. It’s very read-able but page after page of anonymous fucking and rudeness. About 3/4 way through.

by Anonymousreply 37November 7, 2023 2:30 PM

Bryan Washington used to have a semi-regular recipe column in the Sunday NY Times Magazine. Every time I saw his byline I'd try to guess how many paragraphs it would be before he mentioned his boyfriend, a trick, eating ramen/tacos with hungover club kids at 5 a.m. in dives in Tokyo/Houston. It was never more than four. Game over, I'd skip to the recipe, which was rarely anything I'd want to make but often something I'd like to eat.

by Anonymousreply 38November 7, 2023 5:21 PM

Bryan Washington is a tad over-praised in the literary scene at the moment. Similar to Brandon Taylor whose books are also very similar book to book.

by Anonymousreply 39November 7, 2023 5:56 PM

I prefer Taylor. His subject matter is more interesting and a bit more varied.

by Anonymousreply 40November 7, 2023 7:58 PM

And I prefer Washington—I think he has a better style (I.e language level)

by Anonymousreply 41November 7, 2023 8:29 PM

The Real Thanksgiving

by Anonymousreply 42November 7, 2023 8:45 PM

Facebook is exploding today with post after post of eldergays who just received their copies of the book. At least, my Facebook.

by Anonymousreply 43November 7, 2023 10:17 PM

"The book," r43?

by Anonymousreply 44November 7, 2023 10:21 PM

Sorry, I actually meant to write the title but forgot. But I'm shocked as an ancientgay you don't know which book I mean.

by Anonymousreply 45November 7, 2023 10:26 PM

Barbra didn't do it for me, dear r45, the way she appears to have done it for you. I bought Funny Girl, Funny Lady, The Way We Were, and The Broadway Album. Oh, and Guilty.

r44

by Anonymousreply 46November 7, 2023 10:29 PM

I’d rather read names scratched out on the shit house walls!

by Anonymousreply 47November 7, 2023 11:32 PM

Bogie and Bacall, a new bio by William Mann.

God she was a bitch. Nasty to anyone, nastiest to the little people.

by Anonymousreply 48November 8, 2023 1:57 AM

^r48, is it good? I just bought that for my mom for her birthday. She loves Bogart.

by Anonymousreply 49November 8, 2023 2:15 AM

It's well written (he wrote Tinseltown among other things), it's not hagiography, he did a lot of research and it has great backgrounding on both of their families. He was better than his, she was worse than hers.

Bogart comes off a lot better than she does, which is easy, I guess, when you're the legend.

by Anonymousreply 50November 8, 2023 2:23 AM

Shit house walls….

by Anonymousreply 51November 8, 2023 6:52 PM

I just finished Family Meal by Bryan Washington. I really liked Lot and Memorial, but this one felt off to me. As others have noted, the sex is endless, which becomes boring. But it was more the style than the substance that disappointed me. Almost the entire book is dialogue. It felt like reading a play. And that’s not what I want when I’m reading a novel, especially when the dialogue doesn’t always feel natural.

by Anonymousreply 52November 8, 2023 8:11 PM

I often wonder if the second or third books of a well-received authors may have been sitting in a desk drawer and published to capitalize on early successes. This latest is Washington's third in four years. That's prolific these days.

by Anonymousreply 53November 8, 2023 9:21 PM

R52 agree. It does feel off. Just a bunch of depressed and hopeless gay men in Texas who fuck anonymous men nonstop and treat each other like shit.

Should I read his other work?

by Anonymousreply 54November 8, 2023 9:29 PM

R54, I was impressed by Memorial, his first novel. I don’t remember it feeling as bleak as Family Meal.

by Anonymousreply 55November 8, 2023 9:33 PM

I got Chelsea Summers' A CERTAIN HUNGER out of my library today after reading intriguing reader reviews on it on Amazon. It's about a woman who's a serial killer, a great chef, and loves sex with hunky men.

Anyone know it?

by Anonymousreply 56November 9, 2023 11:47 PM

Emma Cline's The Guest was terrific, as good as her debut The Girls. She and Joshua Cohen are probably my two favorite of-the-moment novelists. I put down Brandon Taylor's Real Life after a few pages, it felt dreary and flat. I also have an unread copy of "Memorial." I want to support more gay writers but the reason I like Cohen and Cline is because they seem interested in exploring lives not like their own, and raise concerns beyond the purely personal. I did recently enjoy Darryl Pinckney's newish memoir, Come Back in September. I do mean to pick up Justin Torres' new novel soon.

by Anonymousreply 57November 10, 2023 2:54 PM

Real Life was mediocre, until it got to the stream of consciousness section. Then it was embarrassing. I'd say that it read like a parody of modernism, but even that would be giving it too much credit.

by Anonymousreply 58November 10, 2023 3:00 PM

[QUOTE] I want to support more gay writers but the reason I like Cohen and Cline is because they seem interested in exploring lives not like their own, and raise concerns beyond the purely personal

Have you read READ BY STRANGERS by Philip Dean Walker? His book AT DANCETERIA - which is very gay and popular - has been mentioned on these threads many times but I think this one is stronger. The stories mostly center around women at their lowest. There are several that take place in Japan that are incredibly vivid. There’s a great story about a blocked writing professor at Middlebury College who steals an idea from her best student while starting an affair with a colleague whose wife is dying of cancer (one of the best).

I also have MEMORIAL sitting on my shelf unread. I think I’ll read it next and skip FAMILY MEAL based on what others are saying about it.

by Anonymousreply 59November 10, 2023 3:04 PM

I loved THE GUEST, couldn't put it down, but the ending...

*****SPOILER ALERT*******

was very disappointing. So many different directions it might have gone and it felt like Cline couldn't figure out what would be most powerful and just said: "Fuck it. let the reader make up their own ending."

I'd still recommend it though.

by Anonymousreply 60November 10, 2023 6:36 PM

Labia Majora or a Fedora

by Anonymousreply 61November 10, 2023 7:15 PM

Agreed, R60. That ending really divided my book club. I actually didn’t mind it (it was giving me Cate Blanchett at the end of Blue Jasmine) but I know it’s a point of contention even with readers who are fans of the book as a whole.

by Anonymousreply 62November 10, 2023 7:28 PM

Reading the Appeal and love it so far. Thanks for the rec.

by Anonymousreply 63November 10, 2023 7:46 PM

R35. He’s an absolute horror show of a person. Threw in the towel halfway through.

by Anonymousreply 64November 10, 2023 10:41 PM

Aubrey Plaza 10 (or 15?) years ago would have been perfect in a film of The Guest.

by Anonymousreply 65November 11, 2023 12:00 AM

I just finished Ann Patchett’s “Tom Lake” and I wouldn’t recommend it. The section about the main character’s beginnings as an actress was the best part but it’s the only character that’s fully realized. The sensibility is too earnestly womanly for me. I also finished Mona Simpson’s newest novel “Commitment” and I thought it was her best work but I like all of her work. Her themes are fairly consistent, how does a child grow and develop in the face of a parents emotional collapse. Highly recommended.

by Anonymousreply 66November 11, 2023 12:09 AM

I found Tom Lake inauthentic from beginning to end. I loved Bel Canto, but I think she has gone downhill since, reaching her nadir in her “living” memoir of Lucy Grealy, Truth and Beauty (disclosure: I haven’t read The Dutch House).

by Anonymousreply 67November 11, 2023 12:16 AM

I've heard from some people who've made a living in professional theatre and did years of summer stock, that TOM LAKE has lots of little anachronistic gaffes in the writing. Like understudies employed in summer stock - that just never happened. Haven't read the book yet, overly cautious of Patchett's books since BEL CANTO.

by Anonymousreply 68November 11, 2023 12:17 AM

[QUOTE] Aubrey Plaza 10 (or 15?) years ago would have been perfect in a film of The Guest.

I was picturing Dreama Walker while reading it.

by Anonymousreply 69November 11, 2023 12:36 AM

I’m reading Woody Allen’s autobiography Apropos Of Nothing.

His writing voice is kind of charming, like his movies. I’m still in the first half, and it reminds me of Radio Days, him talking about his childhood and his early career.

He was athletic but had bad teachers so he started reading wisely and indiscriminately to keep up with the smart girls he tried to ask out on dates.

[quote] I still am taken aback at the cruel spacing of The Magic Mountain.

Likewise!

[quote]I so-so about Fitzgerald but loved Thomas Mann and Turgenev. I loved The Red and the Black, especially where the young hero keeps wondering if he should make his move and hit on the married woman.

[italic]Mais ouis.[/italic]

[quote]I know Edith Wharton and Henry James and Fitzgerald all wrote about New York, but the town I recognized best was described by that sentimental Irish librettist on the sports beat, Jimmy Cannon. You would be shocked to know what I don’t know and haven’t read or seen. After all, I am a director, a writer. I’ve never seen a live production of Hamlet. I’ve never seen Our Town, in any version. I never read Ulysses, Don Quixote, Lolita,…

Convenient 👀

[quote]…Catch-22, 1984, no Virginia Woolf, no E. M. Forster, no D. H. Lawrence. Nothing by the Brontës or Dickens. On the other hand, I’m one of the few guys in my peer group who read Joseph Goebbels’s novel. Yes, Goebbels, the gimpy little suppository who flacked for the Fuhrer tried his hand at a novel called Michael, and don’t you think the main character had all the anxiety of the nervous lover anxious for the girl to like him.

[italic]Je répète, mais oui[/italic]

Apparently there is relatively little about his film career and most of the second half is about the Soon Yi and Dylan’s debacle , soI’ll enjoy the portion while it lasts.

by Anonymousreply 70November 11, 2023 2:35 PM

I’m lying here slapping my taint.

by Anonymousreply 71November 11, 2023 2:36 PM

Say what?

by Anonymousreply 72November 14, 2023 12:36 AM

I'm really enjoying a whodunnit of a few years ago called THE WIDOWS OF MALABAR HILL by Sunjata Massey.

The sleuth is a young woman in 1921 Bombay who is India's first female lawyer, working for her family's firm. Really smart writing with great characters and lots of exotic details about Indian culture and mouth-watering descriptions of Indian cuisine and desserts. It's a different take on a classic mystery novel I find very refreshing. Excellent reader reviews on Amazon if you want to know more.

by Anonymousreply 73November 14, 2023 12:42 AM

I want to begin reading Anna Karenina

by Anonymousreply 74November 14, 2023 12:56 AM

I've begun reading it several times....

That's the easy part.

by Anonymousreply 75November 14, 2023 12:58 AM

The unshaven taint

by Anonymousreply 76November 14, 2023 2:28 PM

but.....

by Anonymousreply 77November 14, 2023 2:53 PM

Anna Karenina is fantastic. You can skim the chapters with Levin gassing on and on about the Land and the Peasants and get back to the high-society soap opera.

by Anonymousreply 78November 14, 2023 7:14 PM

I can’t imagine not having finished Anna Karenina once starting it. It’s fantastic and the penultimate chapter is just wow. I memorized “the candle by which she had been reading book filled with…” passage as a teenager.

by Anonymousreply 79November 14, 2023 7:30 PM

Has anyone else read “the sluts” by Dennis cooper? I saw it under staff picks at Jackson McNally last week and was intrigued, got it from the library.

My god.

I’m no prude, but I can’t believe what I’m reading 😂

by Anonymousreply 80November 15, 2023 12:35 AM

The Sluts? Is this a book about Kim Guilfoyle and Lauren Boebert?

by Anonymousreply 81November 15, 2023 2:20 AM

FWIW I just couldn't get into that book I posted about at r56 A CERTAIN HUNGER but gave up after just a few pages. Seemed like very trashy (actually vulgar but not funny vulgar) chick lit to me. I suppose others might like it though...

by Anonymousreply 82November 15, 2023 2:31 AM

I’m reading “Tender is the Flesh” by Agustin’s Bazterrica. My god, I can’t put it down. I think someone recommended it here. I’m reading a Martin Walker Dordogne mystery for contrast and relief!

by Anonymousreply 83November 16, 2023 9:16 AM

So happy that Justin Torres won the National Book Award for BLACKOUTS; another queer writer, Stenio Gardel won for Translated Literature for THE WORDS THAT REMAIN. A good night for the gays!

by Anonymousreply 84November 16, 2023 12:40 PM

I’ve been reading Daphne du Maurier off and on - Rebecca, The Scapegoat and now House on the Strand from 1969 which is strange and compelling. I would never have guessed it had been written by a woman.

by Anonymousreply 85November 16, 2023 12:56 PM

I hosted a party for Justin Torres at my house over a decade ago when I was getting my MFA (this was closer to the time of WE THE ANIMALS). He was so lovely and nice - very cute. I’m really happy for him.

by Anonymousreply 86November 16, 2023 1:41 PM

Agree. He came into a bookstore where I worked and was totally charming. Gave a lovely acceptance speech at the NBA ceremony.

by Anonymousreply 87November 16, 2023 2:41 PM

Justin Torres is indeed cute, but i read Guardians interview with him and the description of the book did not interest me much, unfortunately.

Yesterday i finished A Meaningful Life, by LJ Davis, tragic, horrific in parts but very funny as well, so I started again Desperate Characters by Paula Fox, which covers similar ground.

by Anonymousreply 88November 16, 2023 9:10 PM

Always meant to read Desperate Characters. I simply loved that title. Please return and let us know what you thought, r88.

by Anonymousreply 89November 16, 2023 9:24 PM

I love that Paula Fox is Courtney Love’s grandmother (fact) and that Brando (rumor) is her grandfather.

by Anonymousreply 90November 16, 2023 9:28 PM

Will do, r89.

by Anonymousreply 91November 16, 2023 9:40 PM

I'm re-reading the Invincible comic series.

by Anonymousreply 92November 20, 2023 5:35 PM

Have you looked inside my asshole lately?

by Anonymousreply 93November 20, 2023 5:57 PM

You’re such greedy pig. Sniffing my asshole and examining it for hours on end

by Anonymousreply 94November 20, 2023 5:57 PM

You know the idiots posting bathroom humor and fake book titles in this thread haven’t actually read a book since their middle school teacher assigned “To Kill a Mockingbird” in 8th grade.

They are also most likely Trump voters.

by Anonymousreply 95November 20, 2023 6:06 PM

Of course they’re Trump voters: they can’t read, can’t think, and delight in what they childishly think is humor.

Shitgibbons, really.

by Anonymousreply 96November 20, 2023 6:19 PM

R95 R96 😆

by Anonymousreply 97November 20, 2023 6:26 PM

Night Clit starring Labia Majora, Twatsy and Vulva!

by Anonymousreply 98November 20, 2023 8:09 PM

[quote]before that I read Stephen King's "Carrie" for the first time -- vivid and actually scary.

It is a really good book; generally speaking, I don't think King writes women characters well, but I think he nailed Sue Snell & her motivations. I really never felt the need to read the book because the movie was so good, but I loved it.

Looking for a recommendation: I recently read A World Undone about WWI and really enjoyed the backstories & intrigue that resulted in the war & it's continuation for years. Anyone have any recommendation for other books like that?

by Anonymousreply 99November 20, 2023 8:21 PM

Just spent almost $30 on WELLNESS by Nathan Hill, an Oprah Book. I'm really hoping I love it. I wasn't so wild for THE NIX.

by Anonymousreply 100November 20, 2023 9:37 PM

Just ban those idiot posters here. You won't regret it. I certainly don't miss those posts and had to think for a second what you were saying, r95.

by Anonymousreply 101November 20, 2023 9:39 PM

R101 pull that stick out of your ass.

by Anonymousreply 102November 20, 2023 10:06 PM

Shitzilla

by Anonymousreply 103November 20, 2023 10:19 PM

Night Clit Shanghai

by Anonymousreply 104November 20, 2023 10:28 PM

Sorry you're getting nuked and zapped, OP. Hope it makes you better.

by Anonymousreply 105November 20, 2023 10:30 PM

I loved TOM LAKE but I did think the narrator was deliberately fuzzy as she told the story.

I have some theater knowledge but not summer stock so I didn't spot the inaccuracies.

by Anonymousreply 106November 20, 2023 10:33 PM

My 4th grade teacher, Miss Monkey, used to masturbate herself in front of the class using the corner of our math text book.

by Anonymousreply 107November 20, 2023 10:38 PM

I generally find that if I selected a book, my instincts were correct and it was worth reading. But there were a number of books I started but could not get through. Emma Cline's THE GUEST was at the top of the list. I didn't give a single flying fuck about anyone, least of all the main character.

THE HEAVEN AND EARTH GROCERY STORE had an intriguing/engaging first 50 to 65 percent before it started imploding under its own weight. It also clangs to a complete stop in the middle of a character's 1938 (I think?) death so that the narrator can go on a rant of several paragraphs about 21st century technology (cell phones in particular).

THE PEOPLE WE KEEP by Allison Larkin was one I really loved though it may be a little frau-y for some. Maybe because it's based in Ithaca and I knew that town well. (It's not new though - might be a few years old?)

I loved Maggie Smith's YOU COULD MAKE THIS PLACE BEAUTIFUL.

by Anonymousreply 108November 20, 2023 10:39 PM

For me THE GUEST was a perfect example of a book with unlikeable characters that was still totally engaging. I couldn't put it down though the very end was admittedly disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 109November 20, 2023 11:02 PM

Reading Idlewild by James Frankie Thomas.

Enjoying it so far. If you live in NY or were in high school in the late 90s/early 2000s, it has some nostalgic references.

by Anonymousreply 110November 20, 2023 11:43 PM

I also tried to read Aaron Foley's BOYS COME FIRST but it just seemed like one of those old Felice Picano "Here's all the people I fucked, they were all so hot, see how hot they were?" except all the guys were black and in Detroit. Or was it Atlanta?

I really like Aaron's other work.

by Anonymousreply 111November 21, 2023 12:49 AM

I couldn't get through "America Fantastica" either.

by Anonymousreply 112November 21, 2023 1:35 AM

Is everyone in this thread mad at me making such vulgar, juvenile replies?!

by Anonymousreply 113November 21, 2023 12:43 PM

This is not fiction or prose of any kind but I'll briefly mention. I like his videos and so far am enjoying the book.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114November 21, 2023 12:59 PM

I didn't like Boys Come First much either, r111. Foley's heart was in the right place and he clearly knows Detroit - his writing about the city was the most interesting thing about the book. But the character machinations were predictable and the whole thing felt insubstantial.

by Anonymousreply 115November 21, 2023 1:17 PM

“Desperate Characters” deserves its place as rediscovered classic. Franzen wrote a very good introduction to the latest paperback edition.

by Anonymousreply 116November 21, 2023 1:25 PM

Is also loved Tom Lake by Ann Patchett R106. Highly recommended!

by Anonymousreply 117November 22, 2023 5:57 PM

I very enthusiastically recommended Janice Hallett's THE APPEAL upthread and just finished her second book THE TWYFORD CODE.

While not nearly as good as the first book it did hold my attention the last few days and I couldn't put it down as I finished the final 50 pages. Definitely not for the casual cozy (or cosy) whodunnit fan but a truly mind-bending wild ride of a puzzler with acrostics, anagrams and encrypted codes as part of the cluing. Only attempt it if you have a few leisurely days to devote to reading.

by Anonymousreply 118November 26, 2023 2:33 AM

“Tom Lake” was not a good novel. The central character was the only one that was fully realized. I couldn’t understand the daughters interest in the movie star because the protagonist didn’t present a very compelling character. The last twenty pages were pure indulgence. Hard to believe that Patchett had an editor.

by Anonymousreply 119November 27, 2023 4:56 AM

R119 I agree. Patchett's "Bel Canto" was wonderful. I haven't liked any of her books since. And this one feels wildly inauthentic--as if she saw one summer stock show and decided to make up shit about its culture.

by Anonymousreply 120November 27, 2023 12:37 PM

Anyone read this year's Booker winner, PROPHET SONG?

by Anonymousreply 121November 27, 2023 12:46 PM

I just finished Blackouts by Justin Torres, a very worthy winner of the National Book Award. It’s a beautiful book and unlike any other I’ve read. Parts of it remind me of Cormac McCarthy.

by Anonymousreply 122November 29, 2023 3:27 AM

Readers are winners!

Non-readers are losers!

Yay!

by Anonymousreply 123November 29, 2023 4:31 PM

I've read a little over 100 pages of Nathan Hill's WELLNESS but I don't like it enough to continue.

Shame, because I was really looking forward to it and hoped it would be as good as Jonathan Franzen's CROSSROADS and Paul Murray's THE BEE STING, 2 recent great novels, also about "ordinary" families. But....very disappointing. I don't get the rave reviews.

by Anonymousreply 124November 30, 2023 3:25 AM

I just finished Michael Cunningham's latest, DAY.

It takes place in three parts, each on a specific day in 2019, 2020, and 2021, detailing the lives of an extended family. Not too much happens, but if you like Cunningham, you'll like this.

by Anonymousreply 125November 30, 2023 3:38 AM

I'm reading [bold]Lie with Me[/bold] by Philippe Besson, translated by Molly Ringwald.

I'm liking it so far, though it reminds me of a situation from my college days so it can get a little rough at times.

by Anonymousreply 126November 30, 2023 6:55 PM

R126, I loved that book. And the movie version is good too.

by Anonymousreply 127November 30, 2023 9:49 PM

Have you read “Crotch Crotch Don’t Betray Me” ??

by Anonymousreply 128November 30, 2023 11:21 PM

One of the reasons I'm reading it R127. I have the UK Blu-ray sitting on the shelf waiting for me when I'm done.

(As an aside: I can't believe how much Victor Belmondo looks like his grandfather.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129November 30, 2023 11:54 PM

R129, Victor is very handsome.

by Anonymousreply 130November 30, 2023 11:55 PM

Dearborn Stories. Ten interrelated short-ish stories about the lives of contemporary Arab-Americans in Dearborn, Michigan.

by Anonymousreply 131December 4, 2023 5:47 PM

Just finished IN MEMORIAM and loved it. Could be a killer movie or series. Now trying WE COULD BE SO GOOD by Cat Sebastian because I'm fascinated by female authors specializing in gay male romance. This one seems YA, but her historic novels are pure porn.

by Anonymousreply 132December 4, 2023 7:01 PM

It must be just me as all of my friends loved IN MEMORIAM as did the critics. I found it so sentimental and mawkish and faux-literary I couldn't finish it.

Will anyone ever agree with me?

by Anonymousreply 133December 4, 2023 9:22 PM

No, fool!

by Anonymousreply 134December 4, 2023 9:24 PM

Your lucky day, r133. I tried to read it twice. Just couldn't get there. "Faux literary" hadn't occurred to me, and I'm not sure I agree, but I found it quite gorpy.

by Anonymousreply 135December 4, 2023 9:30 PM

Thank you, r135!

Anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 136December 4, 2023 9:31 PM

Fuck yoi

by Anonymousreply 137December 4, 2023 9:39 PM

I got some questions for your, from Rebecca Makkai, i think it has been discussed. 100 pages in i am struggling, which is strange as it should have been an exciting read, with a cold crime, a character returning to her school where the murder ocurred many years later, etc. i am finding it mistifyingly boring.

by Anonymousreply 138December 4, 2023 10:04 PM

“In Memoriam” was great but for the last chapters. I couldn’t care about the lives if the characters after the war. The best part was the escape from the prison camp and their slip into Belgium.

by Anonymousreply 139December 4, 2023 10:07 PM

I've started reading the Lew Archer books by Ross Macdonald. They're really great, maybe the best genre fiction I've ever read.

by Anonymousreply 140December 4, 2023 10:14 PM

I just started Tender Is The Night

by Anonymousreply 141December 4, 2023 10:24 PM

Just finished The Martian Chronicles, which is a bit of a masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 142December 4, 2023 10:30 PM

On the third volume of Manning’s Balkan Trilogy. It veers between involving and dull.

by Anonymousreply 143December 4, 2023 10:37 PM

I read "Father Figure" by Beverley Nichols. Nichols was a gay English playwright and novelist, also renowned as a gardener. His lovers included Siegfried Sassoon and the actor/director Cyril Butcher. Late in life he published this memoir of his family, from his Edwardian childhood through to the death of his parents 40 years later. His father was an alcoholic, whose short periods of sobriety were inevitably followed by extended drunken binges, during which all member of the family, particularly his wife, were bullied and abused. Twice as a teenager and once as an adult, Nichols tried to kill his father; when he survives the third attempt, Nichols refers to him as "Rasputin." Both his parents were homophobic, to the point where his father demands he stop reading "The Picture of Dorian Gray" and his mother discourages him from seeing a production of "The Importance of Being Ernest." In spite of the nightmarish depiction of family dysfunction (straight out of Eugene O'Neill), both Nichols and his mother shared an absurd sense of humor, which provided them (and provides the reader of this book) with some genuinely funny laughter in the dark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144December 4, 2023 10:54 PM

I've tried reading The Balkan Trilogy 3 times and always gave up before I hit 100 pages. Though I always hoped for more, I found it deadly dull.

As for Makkai's I Have Some Questions For You, I'd agree that there were some sloggy parts but I found it well-worth reading by the end. Ultimately, I really liked it.

by Anonymousreply 145December 4, 2023 11:18 PM

[quote]I got some questions for your, from Rebecca Makkai, i think it has been discussed. 100 pages in i am struggling, which is strange as it should have been an exciting read, with a cold crime, a character returning to her school where the murder ocurred many years later, etc. i am finding it mistifyingly boring.

I had the same reaction, and I loved her first book THE GREAT BELIEVERS.

by Anonymousreply 146December 4, 2023 11:47 PM

The library just delivered SURELY YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS!, the story behind AIRPLANE!. I'm looking forward to it.

by Anonymousreply 147December 4, 2023 11:48 PM

I'm reading Bernard Cornwell's non-fiction book on Waterloo.

by Anonymousreply 148December 5, 2023 1:20 AM

Just finished Night Clit

by Anonymousreply 149December 5, 2023 1:24 AM

Importance of Being *Earnest*

by Anonymousreply 150December 5, 2023 1:31 AM

The Great Believers was Makkai’s fourth book, not her first.

by Anonymousreply 151December 5, 2023 1:12 PM

American Midnight by Adam Hochschild

by Anonymousreply 152December 5, 2023 3:03 PM

Importance of Being Bitchy

by Anonymousreply 153December 5, 2023 7:12 PM

I guess I'm the only one here who likes Olivia Manning's Balkan and Levant Trilogies. I agree that there are some slow/repetitive sections (Nazis! Again!), but I still enjoy them. (A gay character shows up in the Levant novels, although he's tertiary at best.) I wonder if I like them because I first encountered them in 1987 on Masterpiece Theatre as "Fortunes of War" starring Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson as Guy and Harriet (plus a slew of terrific British character actors). When I read the books after seeing the series I could see all the characters in my head. (Not-Sir-Ken-Then looked nothing like Manning's description of Guy, but never mind.) The baggier sections of the plot had been trimmed in the script, so I found them interesting in passing. Sadly, the series is not available for streaming in the US, nor are there DVDs.

by Anonymousreply 154December 5, 2023 7:15 PM

I'm almost 1/2 way through Bryan Washington's MEMORIAL and enjoying it quite a bit (after a dubious slow start). Can't remember if it was discussed here earlier. Any fans?

by Anonymousreply 155December 10, 2023 1:27 PM

I thought his book of short stories, LOT, was one of the best new books I’ve read in y as. Haven’t read MEMORIAL since year.

by Anonymousreply 156December 10, 2023 1:38 PM

Right now I am re reading Peyser's biography of Leonard Bernstein.

by Anonymousreply 157December 10, 2023 1:47 PM

Reading this book ARCADE. Has anyone else read it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158December 13, 2023 2:42 PM

I read it when it came out, R158. It was just fine. Not really something I would recommend, but it was fine for what it was.

by Anonymousreply 159December 13, 2023 3:24 PM

Word of warning. Do not read Blackouts by Justin Torres on a Kindle. There are drawings, photographs and documents that are impossible to read on a small screen. As a result of reading on a Kindle, I feel like I lost a lot of the book’s power and meaning.

Either way, I didn’t love the book because I was expecting a more traditional novel, which this is not. It is very light on plot and requires intense concentration. I’m sure I would like it more if I were willing to read it for a second time, which I’m not.

I respected the book more than I enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 160December 13, 2023 7:05 PM

"Behind the Screen: How Gays and Lesbians Shaped Hollywood, 1910-1969"

Fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 161December 13, 2023 7:09 PM

R161, I loved that book

by Anonymousreply 162December 13, 2023 7:43 PM

Went to Powells in Portland today. Bought Elizabeth Jane Howard’s first novel in her Cazalet Chronicles “The Light Years,” Peter Mann’s “The Torqued Man,” James Plunkett’s “Strumpet City” and Alice Winn’s “In Memoriam.” What should I read first? Help me, DL, you’re my only hope. (I also bought Jamie O’Neill’s “At Swim Two Boys” for the people I’m staying with. I’ve already read it — reread it again — once this year, but I could happily start with that.)

by Anonymousreply 163December 14, 2023 12:01 AM

r163, I spent the first year of Covid reading the entire Cazalet Chronicles, all 6 novels, though I read other stuff in between. I really got into them though they were a bit uneven. The first book was actually the least interesting to me, as there's so much on the grandchildren who are only kids then. They become far more interesting as they grow up in the later novels. Enjoy!

I must read At Swim, Two Boys! Thanks for the reminder.

by Anonymousreply 164December 14, 2023 12:11 AM

I've been beating the drum AT SWIM for a long time. Thanks for keeping it alive. I vote for IN MEMORIAM wholeheartedly, but others on this thread haven't enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 165December 14, 2023 1:02 AM

[quote] I guess I'm the only one here who likes Olivia Manning's Balkan and Levant Trilogies. I agree that there are some slow/repetitive sections (Nazis! Again!), but I still enjoy them. (A gay character shows up in the Levant novels, although he's tertiary at best.)

That's because in real life, "Guy Pringle"--who was actually Olivia Manning's husband R. D. Smith--was gayer than the gay is long.

The novels are loosely autobiographical, but Olivia Manning changed the story in the books so that Guy is always running off just to be sympathetic to men and women both when in reality he was always off fucking men.

by Anonymousreply 166December 14, 2023 1:07 AM

Thanks, R166! The more you know…

by Anonymousreply 167December 14, 2023 1:37 AM

I’m reading “The Collector” by Daniel Silva.

by Anonymousreply 168December 14, 2023 2:13 AM

I'm more interested in The Collector by John Fowles, which was made into a film in the 60s with sexy young Terence Stamp and beautiful Samantha Eggar. I remember my mom had the paperback but I was too young to read it then.

by Anonymousreply 169December 14, 2023 2:23 AM

Re The Cazalet Chronicles, when I said they were "a bit uneven" what I meant was that each of the 5 volumes (I mistakenly said 6 upthread) had characters/situations that were less interesting than others. It's a huge cast of characters of 3 or 4 generations of a wealthy family in the years leading up to WWII, the war and the aftermath, so inevitably some it isn't that engaging. But as I think I said, it was well-worth the long haul in the end.

by Anonymousreply 170December 14, 2023 2:30 AM

Just started "Starter Villain" by John Scalzi. Enjoying it so far.

by Anonymousreply 171December 14, 2023 2:33 AM

I'm reading a very funny satiric novel called WHEN WE WERE BAD by Charlotte Mendelson from 2007 about a seemingly prosperous but highly dysfunctional Jewish family in London, controlled by the domineering and self-centered matriarch who is a highly respected and successful rabbi.

Wickedly good, especially if you're Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 172December 14, 2023 2:36 AM

Tardy to the party, but I'm reading BEFORE THE FALL by Noah Hawley (exec producer of FARGO). A private plane crashes off Martha's Vineyard and he traces back the people's lives. After the crash, a Bill O'Reilly type sensationalizes the tragedy on cable news. Little by little Hawley reveals why the plane crashed and why.

It has some of the Tom Wolfe social criticism, but the style is warm and dry like Tom Perrotta. I liked it a lot.

by Anonymousreply 173December 14, 2023 2:48 AM

Loved before the fall.

by Anonymousreply 174December 14, 2023 3:21 AM

Are you doing ok with the chemo, op? I hear it's really improved with medical breakthroughs versus how it was years ago.

by Anonymousreply 175December 14, 2023 3:44 AM

I read Before The Fall on a cross-country flight from Boston to SF. Apparently, I was not thinking at the time. Still enjoyed it, though!

by Anonymousreply 176December 15, 2023 12:41 AM

Anyone read DROOD by Dan Simmons? Just bought it cheap at my used book shop but it's almost 800 pages and I'm wondering if it's worth it. I do love the summary blurb on the back of the paperback.

Has anyone read anything else by Dan Simmons before? I'd never heard of him before this but I gather he's a very popular writer of historical fiction thrillers.

by Anonymousreply 177December 15, 2023 9:51 PM

I am consistently recommended The Fourth Wing by Rebecca Yarros.

by Anonymousreply 178December 16, 2023 11:40 PM

I can’t deal with the shitty frau fantasy series taking over right now - Rebecca Yarros is one of those crappy writers.

by Anonymousreply 179December 16, 2023 11:58 PM

For me "Before the Fall" fell into the category of "nice try." It strained to be something a bit more literary than an airport bookstore-style paperback, but didn't quite get there. It started well and wasn't terrible overall, but the characters felt thinly developed, and the mystery's resolution was anti-climactic.

by Anonymousreply 180December 17, 2023 12:06 AM

Any Hard Case Crime fans here? I'm reading Seed on the Wind by Rex Stout right now. Finding it hard to get into but I'm only about 70 pages in

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181December 17, 2023 12:10 AM

I just started The Decline and Fall of The American Republic. Excruciating. Verbose. I can’t tell if the author’s Repug or not yet. I know he’s a respected scholar. Some stuff I read for my own good but it’s not fun. I read five at a time so I can switch around.

by Anonymousreply 182December 17, 2023 12:45 AM

R177 Simmons wrote "The Terror," a great novel about the 1845 Franklin Expedition, which was adapted into an even better tv series. I haven't read anything else of his.

by Anonymousreply 183December 17, 2023 1:32 AM

The Terror is a really good book

by Anonymousreply 184December 17, 2023 1:34 AM

r180, I have to say I agree with you on AFTER THE FALL. I found it very middling.

by Anonymousreply 185December 17, 2023 1:49 AM

Sorry, I meant BEFORE THE FALL. That book was so dull I never remember the proper title.

by Anonymousreply 186December 17, 2023 1:50 AM

R80, can’t remember if I posted about this already but yeah, The Sluts, is really challenging stuff. I thought I was going to be sick but it was also so hypnotic. I’d never read anything like it.

by Anonymousreply 187December 17, 2023 7:19 AM

R181 I read a Hard Case Crime reprint by one of the Watergate associates just for laughs. I think it was called The Hotel Dick.

And of it’s newer titles I enjoyed Money Shot by Christa Faust.

by Anonymousreply 188December 17, 2023 7:58 AM

I've just started The Romantic by William Boyd. Reviews have described it as similar to Any Human Heart which I loved and is the best of Boyd’s many novels.

Don’t let the crappy title fool you. Any Human Heart is a great novel and through journal entries tells the story of an Englishman’s extremely entertaining and interesting life through the 20th Century. Highly recommended.

by Anonymousreply 189December 17, 2023 12:33 PM

I've loved many of William Boyd's books over the years, especially ANY HUMAN HEART, but, sadly, found the last few a bit wanting. RESTLESS is also a great novel.

The last one I really enjoyed was ORDINARY THUNDERSTORMS from about 10 years ago, I think. Great Hitchcockian plot with a man finding himself at a murder scene in the first chapter and having to run from the police throughout London to avoid getting caught.

by Anonymousreply 190December 17, 2023 2:26 PM

Just started Bee Sting and already I'm hooked.

by Anonymousreply 191December 17, 2023 3:00 PM

Reading "True Grit" by Charles Portis. I previously read his later novel "Masters of Atlantis" which I utterly loved. This one is very good too though I've seen the Coens' (quite faithful) version twice so there aren't a lot of surprises. Think I'll watch the John Wayne version, which I've never seen, when I finish the novel.

by Anonymousreply 192December 17, 2023 4:36 PM

p.s. to above, this is consistently the best thread on DL and I'm glad it's so enduring.

by Anonymousreply 193December 17, 2023 4:39 PM

What a coincidence, r192! I just happened to read TRUE GRIT a few weeks ago. Not sure why I chose it, I've never seen either film and not particularly interested in Westerns but it kept popping up in my Amazon suggestions and seems to be on a lot of the best 20th century fiction ever written lists. I liked it, didn't love it....wonder if it was a fresher take on the subject matter and feminism in the 60s when it was written?

As for THE BEE STING, r191, please stick with it as it has has some bumpy sections but well-worth it in the end. So glad this unconventional novel has gotten so much attention this year.

by Anonymousreply 194December 17, 2023 4:55 PM

I’m about 90% thru The Bee Sting. I’m mostly enjoying it, but the Imelda sections are really difficult and take long to read given Murray’s choice to forgo all punctuation.

by Anonymousreply 195December 17, 2023 5:06 PM

Once I got used to the style, they were actually my favorite passages in the book, r195. I became very invested in her.

by Anonymousreply 196December 17, 2023 5:11 PM

I'm combining reading Bee Sting and listening to it on audio. Did that with Skippy and it enhanced the book. Helps to hear those Irish accents.

by Anonymousreply 197December 17, 2023 9:29 PM

I started bee sting and LOVED the first two sections with the two kids. I got completely stuck with the Imelda section and gave up. It was so difficult and obnoxious.

by Anonymousreply 198December 18, 2023 12:02 AM

The Hobbit

by Anonymousreply 199December 20, 2023 2:08 AM

New Michael Connolly book, Resurrection Walk. Mainly Mickey Haller, with a big assist from Harry Bosch. Another good one.

by Anonymousreply 200December 20, 2023 2:12 AM

I gave up on DROOD last night which I mentioned starting upthread. Lots of beautifully written atmosphere and authentic period detail but no real plot or direction after 100 pages. And the book is almost 800 pages. Life is too short.

Then I began reading DISORDERLY MEN a new novel by Edward Cahill which I think was mentioned way upthread and easily read over 50 pages before going to sleep. It follows 6 very different men who are caught up in a raid in a downtown NY gay bar in the early 1960s.

by Anonymousreply 201December 20, 2023 1:20 PM

I enjoyed DISORDERLY MEN a great deal, and recommend it particularly for those who weren't around in pre-Stonewall NYC. Great period detail (but 3 men at the center, not 6).

by Anonymousreply 202December 20, 2023 1:46 PM

Reading the new Michael Cunningham book and Blackouts by Justin Torres. Both randomly arrived the same day in order at the library.

Really enjoying both of them.

by Anonymousreply 203December 21, 2023 12:57 PM

Anyone read Stephen McCauley? His umpteenth novel is coming out in a few weeks.

by Anonymousreply 204December 26, 2023 7:47 PM

I just finished John Scalzi's "Starter Villain". A light little trifle. A fast, easy run, fun, but rather insubstantial. Fun vacation reading. Nothing that will feel like a slog, but also nothing that will stay with you for more than a few days after you finish.

by Anonymousreply 205December 26, 2023 7:48 PM

The Cat Who Came for Christmas by Cleveland Amory

by Anonymousreply 206December 26, 2023 8:08 PM

As a fan, I'm looking forward to Stephen McCauley's new book YOU ONLY CALL WHEN YOU'RE IN TROUBLE but won't be too surprised if it's not so great. His last few efforts were just so-so and he hasn't written a new one in awhile. Some authors only seem to have a few good stories in them to tell.

Which always strikes me as sad because there's so much craziness going on in the world now, how could any smart talented writer not want to react to it in a personal way?

by Anonymousreply 207December 26, 2023 9:25 PM

I loved McCauley's early books, but hit a roadblock with him midway in his career when he started repeating himself.

by Anonymousreply 208December 26, 2023 9:42 PM

I really liked McCauley’s last novel, My Ex-Life from 2018. It’s not great literature but it’s highly entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 209December 26, 2023 10:26 PM

[quote] Anyone read DROOD by Dan Simmons? Just bought it cheap at my used book shop but it's almost 800 pages and I'm wondering if it's worth it. I do love the summary blurb on the back of the paperback.

Like the other poster above, I found it really directionless. I finished it, but it was a real slog. I'd stay away.

by Anonymousreply 210December 26, 2023 10:41 PM

[quote] And Matthew Perry’s memoir, just because.

I'm reading it too! It's quite a chuckle.

by Anonymousreply 211December 26, 2023 10:47 PM

r210, I was the poster who initially asked about DROOD and I did, indeed, give up after about 100 pages finding it aimless.

by Anonymousreply 212December 26, 2023 11:06 PM

I thought blackouts ended up sort of repetitive and meh.

I’m surprised it won the national book award. Preferred his first book.

by Anonymousreply 213December 26, 2023 11:13 PM

BEE STING is terrific. About 1/3 through. Alternating between text and audio.

by Anonymousreply 214December 27, 2023 1:53 AM

Has anyone read “Better Davis”? I saw that it was blurbed by Drew Droege who I love.

by Anonymousreply 215December 27, 2023 5:36 PM

*whom

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 216December 27, 2023 5:58 PM

Add me to the list of people who think Stephen McCauley has been repeating himself for his last couple of novels. They're nice and all, but we've read it before. (And it pains me to say that because I've met him -- friend of a friend -- and he's very unassuming and charming.)

by Anonymousreply 217December 27, 2023 10:37 PM

Yes r215 it’s good

by Anonymousreply 218December 27, 2023 11:05 PM

Food Circus by Naomi Oates

by Anonymousreply 219December 27, 2023 11:08 PM

[quote]Add me to the list of people who think Stephen McCauley has been repeating himself for his last couple of novels.

I agree, but this new one has gotten starred reviews, so I'm hopeful.

by Anonymousreply 220December 27, 2023 11:15 PM

Tom Wolfe's Bonfire of the Vanities

I recently finished I am Charlotte Simmons

by Anonymousreply 221December 28, 2023 2:44 AM

Have you ever read Wolfe's A Man in Full, r221? I remember loving it, but like Bonfires, it kind of peters out at the end like Wolfe lost interest in his own characters.

by Anonymousreply 222December 28, 2023 3:23 AM

R222, It's next on my list.

by Anonymousreply 223December 28, 2023 4:49 AM

And now I've add I Am Charlotte Simmons to my list. Thanks, r221.

by Anonymousreply 224December 28, 2023 1:40 PM

What was everyone’s favorite book this year?

by Anonymousreply 225December 28, 2023 2:11 PM

If the book has to have been released in 2023, I'd go for a tie between IN MEMORIAM and THE NEW LIFE. If it can include earlier books I read this year, I'd go for STILL LIFE by Sarah Winman.

by Anonymousreply 226December 28, 2023 2:21 PM

THE BEE STING would be my fave.

by Anonymousreply 227December 28, 2023 2:23 PM

I remember feeling an uneasy kinship with Bush Jr. after a story in the NYT about how neither Laura nor staff could tear him away from reading Charlotte Simmons to do anything else.

by Anonymousreply 228December 28, 2023 4:05 PM

I loved I Am Charlotte Simmons. I remember it getting the Bad Sex Writing award that year but I thought it was a brilliant novel and so funny a lot of the time. And I’ll never forget the voice of the main character. It really delivers, especially if you’re a Tom Wolfe fan.

by Anonymousreply 229December 28, 2023 5:32 PM

My fave book I read this year was Tender Is the Night. After years of starting and stopping mid way, I finally finished it.

by Anonymousreply 230December 28, 2023 6:13 PM

I’m reading The Magus by John Fowles and enjoying it quite a lot

by Anonymousreply 231December 28, 2023 6:48 PM

I'm with R226 -- Tom Crewe's The New Life is my favorite new book of 2023. I would love to see it filmed as a limited series, but until then I'll just cast and film it in my head. (My favorite re-read of 2029 was Jamie O'Neill's At Swim Two Boys, but that's practically a given since I re-read it every four years or so. It's another book screaming for a limited-series adaptation.)

by Anonymousreply 232December 28, 2023 8:11 PM

r232, are you posting from the future?

by Anonymousreply 233December 28, 2023 8:16 PM

Bless you, r232, I adore AT SWIM and have been flogging it on this site for ages. A series would go a long way to increasing its readership, as would more work from its author.

by Anonymousreply 234December 28, 2023 8:17 PM

Add me to the list of those who love At Swim, Two Boys

by Anonymousreply 235December 28, 2023 10:43 PM

The new McCauley comes out January 9. I've placed a hold on it at my library.

And thanks to the poster who alerted us.

by Anonymousreply 236December 28, 2023 11:18 PM

I'm more excited about the publication of Janice Hallett's latest epistolary whodunnit THE MYSTERIOUS CASE OF THE APERTON ANGELS later in January. Her THE APPEAL was one of my favorite books of 2023.

by Anonymousreply 237December 28, 2023 11:22 PM

I started reading Gore Vidal's "Lincoln," but it was so tedious I gave up after 65 pages.

by Anonymousreply 238December 29, 2023 1:15 AM

Same, r238! I tried to read a few of Vidal's books this year after enjoying (if that's the right word) The City and the Pillar but couldn't get into any of them, not even Myra Breckinridge.

by Anonymousreply 239December 29, 2023 3:21 AM

Opinions on NORTH WOODS by Daniel Mason? Heard great things from friends but I trust you guys more.

by Anonymousreply 240December 29, 2023 3:28 AM

Weird, I reread Burr and am now reading Empire. Definitely not hating it. I guess Gore Vidal isn't for everybody. I tend to like them, very much including Lincoln.

by Anonymousreply 241December 29, 2023 3:33 AM

My Name Is Barbra. I'm at the point where she talks about adding back in those scenes they left out, without which people went "Huh?" as to why Hubbell and Katie broke up. It's available on Apple+. Gonna watch it soon. She explains the scenes very well in the book. Why they were left out makes very little sense.

by Anonymousreply 242December 29, 2023 10:40 AM

I’m reading Desperate Characters by Paula Fox and really enjoying it.

by Anonymousreply 243December 29, 2023 1:35 PM

R226, i am reading Still Life and loving it, it is the sort of book you don’t want to end. Definitely one of the reads of the year.

But my favourite is Doppelgänger by Naomi Klein, followed by Real Estate from Deborah Levy.

by Anonymousreply 244December 29, 2023 2:20 PM

I'm really going to have to take another look at STILL LIFE. I remember reading about 50 or so pages and finding it very artificial. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for whatever it was offering.

by Anonymousreply 245December 29, 2023 7:26 PM

"Ms. Demeanor" by Elinor Lipman. She's sort of a straight female Stephen McCauley. Droll urban humor, charmingly imperfect characters.

by Anonymousreply 246December 29, 2023 10:00 PM

Journalist Patricia Evangelista's "Some People Need Killing," her memoir of state-sanctioned killings of Filipino citizens under Rodrigo Duterte.

(It can and will happen here if we fail to defeat trump.)

by Anonymousreply 247December 29, 2023 10:22 PM

Almost finished with The Appeal. It’s a really fun read. For light reading I really like the Thursday Murder Club series, and for my heavier reading project I am tackling the DaVinci biography or Capital and Ideology. I’m also trying to shoehorn in The End of Reality.

Or I may just lie around like a lump instead.

by Anonymousreply 248December 30, 2023 7:36 AM

Also loved The Appeal and went on to read Hallett's second mystery The Twyford Code which was not quite as good though still engrossing.

I just finished her novella The Christmas Appeal which was excellent, hilarious and benefited from its brevity. It revisits the community theatre players a few years later so its best to have read The Appeal first as many iof the same characters return.

I'm really looking forward to her next The Alperton Angels which got rave reviews in the UK and comes out here in late January. Between Janice Hallett and Richard Osman, they've really re-invented the cozy English murder mystery for me, though "cozy" might not be quite the right characterization.

by Anonymousreply 249December 30, 2023 1:31 PM

Read 29 books this year, one less than 2022. Just finished DeLillo's "Cosmopolis," a dark, vivid read that's a lot more action packed than many of his books. He's my favorite writer, and I aim to read the rest of his late works in 2024 in order to be a completist.

Favorite book I read that came out in 2023: "The Guest" by Emma Cline

Favorite non-fiction book I read this year: "Prairie Fires" by Caroline Fraser (Laura Ingalls Wilder bio)

Best book I read this year: "As I Lay Dying" by William Faulkner. Turns out the guy could really write.

by Anonymousreply 250December 30, 2023 1:44 PM

Since my disappointment with Gore Vidal, I'm staying in my Abe Lincoln era and trying "Lincoln in the Bardo."

by Anonymousreply 251December 30, 2023 9:13 PM

Lincoln in the Bardo is one of my all-time favorite books. I strongly urge supplementing a text reading with the audio version with a huge cast.

by Anonymousreply 252December 30, 2023 9:53 PM

I didn't much care for LINCOLN IN THE BARDO. I know I'm in the minority. I wanted it to be be more about Lincoln's late life than an elegiac ghost story.

But two books I loved on the subject were COURTING MR. LINCOLN by Louis Bayard about the "love triangle' between Lincoln, Mary Todd and his confidant and former roommate Joshua Speed. And BOOTH by Karen Joy Fowler about the Booth family and ultimately the Lincoln assassination.

I could not get into Vidal's LINCOLN. Tried a couple of times.

by Anonymousreply 253December 31, 2023 2:31 AM

I loved COURTING MR. LINCOLN too.

by Anonymousreply 254December 31, 2023 12:25 PM

R253 I'm feeling a bit iffy about "Bardo"as well. I get what he's trying to do, but....I don't want to read a whole book of it. Maybe if the Greek chorus was interspersed with a few chapters of straight narrative prose? But I'll carry on.

I enjoyed "Courting Mr. Lincoln" as well as "Mary: Mrs. A. Lincoln." (Though I think of it as "MARY! Mrs. A, Lincoln.")

by Anonymousreply 255December 31, 2023 1:55 PM

Couldn’t get through Bardo. Found the style too weird.

by Anonymousreply 256December 31, 2023 2:59 PM

New thread for 2024

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257December 31, 2023 5:15 PM

Our Father's Fields by James E. Kibler. A Childhood, A Biography of a Place by Harry Crews. The Sound and the Fury by Faulkner...oh my brain.

by Anonymousreply 258January 22, 2024 8:48 PM

Finding Florida: The True History of the Sunshine State. T.D. Allman

History, non-fiction, the gist of which is that it’s been a scam since the Spanish were unlucky enough to find it in the 1500s.

by Anonymousreply 259January 22, 2024 11:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!