Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What Books Are You Reading in 2023? Part 3

I have Young Bloomsbury by Nino Strachey in my hot little hands.

by Anonymousreply 600November 1, 2023 11:24 PM

Link to Part 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 25, 2023 4:00 PM

Link to Part 1

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 25, 2023 4:06 PM

I’ve started “No Dominion” today, the third book in an apocalyptic trilogy by Louise Welsh. Each has been better than the last and I love the premise, in which the world has been plagued by a virus which killed off the vast majority of the population. It paints a very vivid picture of what that might lead to.

by Anonymousreply 3June 25, 2023 4:07 PM

Where's the link to part 3?

by Anonymousreply 4June 25, 2023 4:07 PM

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo.

by Anonymousreply 5June 25, 2023 4:11 PM

Silly question, but is Nino Strachey a descendant of Lytton?

by Anonymousreply 6June 25, 2023 6:13 PM

Nino Strachey is a relative. Also, a woman.

by Anonymousreply 7June 25, 2023 7:22 PM

I'm about to read Cathleen Schine's The Three Weissmans of Westport. Any other fans of this writer? I enjoyed her Rameau's Niece and The Love Letter many years ago.

by Anonymousreply 8June 25, 2023 7:38 PM

I know John Boyne has been discussed a lot in these threads but has anyone read A LADDER TO THE SKY? I might be one of the few who didn't like THE HEART'S INVISBLE FURIES but I've heard this other book is unlike most of his other work and, therefore, I thought I might try it. Any fans?

by Anonymousreply 9June 25, 2023 7:41 PM

Speaking of John Boyne, I liked This House is Haunted

by Anonymousreply 10June 25, 2023 8:17 PM

An interesting contemporaneous history of the pandemic through a uniquely personal lens. (And the author is a gay man).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 25, 2023 11:17 PM

I'm surprised there haven't been more novels recently written about Covid and The Pandemic. Does it just seem now like it was a passing fad?

Maybe it's too soon.....

by Anonymousreply 12June 25, 2023 11:26 PM

Louise Erdrich’s THE SENTENCE has a whole Covid storyline. I didn’t like the book but it was novel for me since I don’t think I had seen it mentioned before that.

IIRC, Armistead Maupin’s BABYCAKES (1985) was the first novel to mention AIDS. I’m pretty sure that’s correct although I could be mistaken.

by Anonymousreply 13June 26, 2023 12:32 AM

Check. out OUR COUNTRY FRIENDS by Gary Shteyngart.

by Anonymousreply 14June 26, 2023 1:45 AM

Linwood Barclay IS Stephen King!

by Anonymousreply 15June 26, 2023 1:53 AM

R9 i liked Heart Invible Furies, not a perfect book, but enjoyable. A Ladder To The Sky i did not like, derivative,etc, and the. I read his Echo Chamber, which was dire. So no John Boyne soon.

Am reading Romw by Robert Hughes, lots of homosexual painters.

by Anonymousreply 16June 26, 2023 1:58 AM

^ crushing

by Anonymousreply 17June 26, 2023 2:02 AM

I checked out OUR COUNTRY FRIENDS but couldn't finish it. Too silly for me.

by Anonymousreply 18June 26, 2023 3:05 AM

I have listened to a few of the Myron Bolitar audiobooks by Harlan Coben via my local library. Steven Weber narrates them really well. And from a foreigner’s perspective it’s interesting. As someone whose primarily knowledge of New Jersey is Springsteen, The Sopranos and RHONJ, the books show how diverse (and expensive) the state is. There isn’t any Coben fandom online, no Reddit board or anything. It’s hard for me to gauge, but the character Win appears to be a fan favourite. He’s a snooty, old money psycho - Jack Reacher meets Jay Gatsby if they were from Main Line Philadelphia WASPS - and the hero’s best friend. Maybe it’s the way Weber reads him but I find him a total cheeseball pain the ass.

by Anonymousreply 19June 26, 2023 4:00 PM

R19, you've just reminded me how much I love Harlan Coben's books. I just reserved the kindle version of Deal Breaker, the first Myron Bolitar book, at my local library. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I enjoy them in particular among mystery series because I'm from New Jersey, one county over from Livingston, in the Irish/Italian/Jewish melting pot that was once so prevalent in Northern New Jersey.

by Anonymousreply 20June 26, 2023 5:05 PM

Rushes by John Rechy

by Anonymousreply 21June 26, 2023 5:27 PM

I'd love to hear some more recommendations of Harlan Coben mysteries. Never read him but I'm eager. He now has a home in a beachfront highrise in my town of Asbury Park.

by Anonymousreply 22June 26, 2023 6:21 PM

r22, are you r19?

Either way, you can start the Myron Bolitar series. There's also a lot of standalone contract. I've mostly read them all in order.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 26, 2023 8:27 PM

The Bible, again.

by Anonymousreply 24June 26, 2023 8:52 PM

No, r23, I'm not r19.

Thanks for that link but I'm not looking for a comprehensive list of titles. I was hoping for some opinions and thoughts and recommendations for my first Coben read..

by Anonymousreply 25June 26, 2023 9:27 PM

Hey, I’m r19. The first Coben book I read was Tell No One. It was made into a French thriller with François Cluzet and Kristin Scott Thomas. Although it’s a story has clues sent via new-fangled email, it stands up.

Run Away is another standalone that was released 18 years later in 2019. It deals with DNA databases and was inspired by Coben listening to a terrible busker next at Strawberry Fields and wondering what would happen if a fight he witnessed there went viral. Also! It features Myron Bolitar’s awesome lawyer Hester Crimstein. Think a young Judge Judy.

If you are interested in the Myron Bolitar books, the latest one, Home, will make little sense and the following standalone, Win, won’t be terribly interesting without reading at least the 11th book Live Wire.

I would start with the 8th, Promise Me, if you are unable to the find the first book in the series and go on from there (The 9th, Long Lost, is largely set in Europe, so you don’t get the same sense of place). It’s a story showing Myron as an agent who investigates and that signature affluent suburban Jersey flavour, without then the comparatively convoluted but exciting mysterious interconnections underpinning the books starting with Live Wire.

Then, after Live Wire, go to his YA* Mickey Bolitar series featuring Myron’s nephew, to make sense of Home and Win.

*(It’s only YA in the sense that’s there’s a high school kid investigating his family secrets - think a male Veronica Mars - and some the club where his friends go undercover to find trafficked girls doesn’t feature a sex dungeon but go-go dancing the writing level remains the same. A parental drug addiction is presented with few pulled).

In short, go for Tell No One, Promise Me or Run Away.

by Anonymousreply 26June 28, 2023 9:02 AM

Thank you so much, r26. I really appreciate your response and I'll look into those books.

by Anonymousreply 27June 28, 2023 1:04 PM

Halfway through the new Jessica Lange bio, which inspired me to purchase "Will There Really Be a Morning?" by Frances Farmer. Most secondhand copies are going for upwards of $50.00, but I managed to score one at half that price. Looking forward to it.

by Anonymousreply 28June 28, 2023 2:15 PM

R28, I've always wanted to read that and never had the chance

by Anonymousreply 29June 28, 2023 6:43 PM

R13. Facing It, a little known novel on its own terms, by Paul Reed, is considered the first novel to name and address AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 30June 28, 2023 6:54 PM

Finished Molly Keane's "Time After Time" yesterday, a serious novel after the farcical "Good Behaviour" for me. I didn't so much get the only son Jasper as being gay, but vaguely not-straight, too subtle for me. Baby June seemed gay-er. Re-appearance of continental cousin Leida actually the gay-est aspect, no surprise to fellow thread readers that she turns out a bitch. Ending proved a payoff, after the final twist.

by Anonymousreply 31June 29, 2023 10:45 PM

I loved GOOD BEHAVIOR, really a small masterpiece, and enjoyed TIME AFTER TIME but was disappointed in the ending of that one. I thought Keane created wonderfully indelible characters with fascinating back stories but then didn't really have a strong plot or story structure for those characters to flourish in their present time. The ending seemed predictable, blunt and hasty.

by Anonymousreply 32June 30, 2023 3:14 AM

Marijane Meaker always insisted that her 1986 YA novel NIGHT KITES was the first novel to mention AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 33June 30, 2023 2:19 PM

She was wrong, though hers may have been the first YA to do so.

by Anonymousreply 34June 30, 2023 3:50 PM

I’m reading Nancy Drew and the Case of the Hidden Closet.

It’s a little complex, but I’m beginning to get to grips with it.

by Anonymousreply 35June 30, 2023 6:11 PM

r35, is it about the coming out of George, dark-haired and boyish?

by Anonymousreply 36June 30, 2023 6:41 PM

I just read an English novel, "The Custard Boys" by John Rae, published in 1960. It's about a gang of 12-14 year old boys in a coastal village during the early years of WW II. It's clearly influenced by "Lord of the Flies," and ends up, after several episodes of escalating violence, as a forceful allegory of pacificism. The relationship between the narrator, John, and another boy, a Jewish refugee from Vienna, quickly moves from friendship to a love that is complicated by the social mores and peer pressures that envelope them. Some of the disturbing gang violence reminded me of "A Clockwork Orange"; it was even more unsettling because the boys were much younger than the droogs. It's been adapted twice into movies that I haven't seen yet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 4, 2023 10:57 PM

R37, that sounds interesting. I wasn’t familiar with that book.

by Anonymousreply 38July 4, 2023 11:09 PM

What I read in June:

Dusk and Other Stories, The Hunters, and Solo Faces, all by James Salter

The Neon Rain and Black Cherry Blues by James Lee Burke

Devotion by Howard Norman

The Devil Aspect by Craig Russell

Bleak House by Charles Dickens

by Anonymousreply 39July 5, 2023 12:30 AM

What are Devotion and The Devil Aspect about, r39?

by Anonymousreply 40July 5, 2023 12:52 AM

R39 I am so envious. I am SO SLOW now when I read. I always was, but as I grow older I am slower. I have a friend that just buzzes through 4-5 books a week. I don't understand how.

by Anonymousreply 41July 5, 2023 1:02 AM

I haven't read "Bleak House," but a novel that size usually takes me a month to read, unless I'm on vacation.

by Anonymousreply 42July 5, 2023 1:35 AM

Read demon copperhead . Started out great , ended with a wimper.

by Anonymousreply 43July 5, 2023 1:42 AM

Five. Decembers by. James. Kestrel. Hard to put down..

by Anonymousreply 44July 5, 2023 2:41 AM

r44, I bought that but haven't gotten to read it yet

by Anonymousreply 45July 5, 2023 2:42 AM

Looks long, but zooms by.

by Anonymousreply 46July 5, 2023 2:46 AM

Can't remember but I must have recommended a nifty thriller called NOVEMBER ROAD by Lou Berney upthread. A truly fun smart summer read about a handsome young fixer working for the New Orleans Mafia in 1963 who becomes embroiled in the JFK assassination and has to disappear. In his escape he meets up with a young wife who is on the run from a bad marriage with her 2 kids and the family dog. Wonderful plotting and the the author beautifully captures the very disparate worlds and voices of the 2 main characters.

PS: I did not care at all for an earlier book by Berney called THE LONG AND FARAWAY GONE so please skip that one.

by Anonymousreply 47July 5, 2023 3:03 AM

I liked "The Long and Faraway Gone", R47. Interesting premise of a fictional resolution to a historical mystery that can never be resolved.

I re-read Bleak House a few months ago. Since I recalled almost no details it was essentially a new read for me. Unabridged audiobooks the way to go with classic tomes for me.

Four or five books a week? Even rotating among Elin Hilderbrand, Jodi Picoult, etc. would be challenging for that rate!

by Anonymousreply 48July 5, 2023 12:03 PM

Someday before I die I'd like to reread all of my favorite Dickens - Bleak House, David Copperfield, Great Expectations and Dombey & Son.

by Anonymousreply 49July 5, 2023 12:47 PM

I started reading The Guest by Emma Cline. Fantastic summer read. I love her style.

by Anonymousreply 50July 6, 2023 11:21 PM

House of Joy

by Anonymousreply 51July 6, 2023 11:26 PM

Finally got around to starting THE BOOK THIEF. Any fans?

by Anonymousreply 52July 7, 2023 1:32 AM

R47 Thanks for the "November Road" recommendation. I'll queue it up as a chaser for after I've read Don DeLilo's "Libra."

by Anonymousreply 53July 7, 2023 11:48 AM

Really enjoying “the late Americans” by Brandon Taylor so far.

Very gay, very well written.

by Anonymousreply 54July 7, 2023 1:00 PM

I read Fillthy Animals last month, r54, but though i enjoyed it was somewhat underwhelmed. Still have Real Life to read though.

by Anonymousreply 55July 7, 2023 9:31 PM

R55, I never got into his other books but REALLY enjoying this one

by Anonymousreply 56July 7, 2023 9:41 PM

Just finished the new Riley Sager thriller, "The Only One Left". Love his writing, and this one is a nerve-racking thriller about a lonely old woman living in a crumbling mansion on a cliff, accused of murdering her parents and sister 50 years before. Her new caretaker is determined to unravel the mystery of those murders. Very twisty, very surprising ending, and ready for its close-up. Love his books.

by Anonymousreply 57July 7, 2023 10:04 PM

I'm a social history nerd, so I'm taking on all twenty of Zola's Rougan-Macquart novels as a summer project. Second empire was drama!

by Anonymousreply 58July 7, 2023 10:12 PM

R58, oh, i intended to do that and bought the first volume bur the initial pages were off putting for my mood at the time. Do tell as you go along.

by Anonymousreply 59July 7, 2023 10:44 PM

"Death Of A President" by William Manchester from 1967, which I scored for a couple of bucks at a local discount place, hardcover. Always heard about but had not yet got a chance to read it. Just occurred to me, can't believe Pres. Kennedy's assassination anniversary this upcoming November will be @ 60 years. Even if as many folks didn't like him as did, just an aside as an American history talking point I think remembering and reflecting on what happened to our Presidency that day should be important. Instead, unfortunately, just about no news outlets will mention it again and will be prioritizing their airing of pieces probably on Britney Spears, one or more of the Kardashians, or on Megasauraus and Harry.

by Anonymousreply 60July 8, 2023 2:25 AM

I think I'm in the minority, at least among my friends, but I never liked John Boyne's The Heart's Invisible Furies but I finally thought I'd give him a second chance and so I just read A Ladder to the Sky because I'd been told it wasn't typical of his work.

Well, the first 2 parts were absolutely riveting and engaging and sexy, West Berlin in 1986 and then the brilliantly observed section at Gore Vidal's palazzo in Amalfi.....but then, with the protagonist's marriage, the book took a ghastly nosedive into trite mediocre trash from which it never recovered. One unbelievable event after another, unfathomable character motivations. I can't get over how a writer could run to such extremes within one novel.

Thoughts? Should I attempt a third book?

by Anonymousreply 61July 8, 2023 3:07 AM

I finished The Guest. So good. Even better than The Girls.

by Anonymousreply 62July 8, 2023 3:56 AM

Any recommendations for a current author, British or otherwise, that is writing psychological thrillers like Ruth Rendell?

I'm reading some of Karin Fossum's Norwegian mysteries featuring Inspector Sejer and I like her writing but wish it had a little more of the complexity of Rendell.

by Anonymousreply 63July 8, 2023 1:04 PM

R63. Have you read her books written under the name Barbara Vine? I like those a lot.

by Anonymousreply 64July 8, 2023 1:15 PM

Yes, I read most all of Rendell's Barbara Vine books when they were originally published. I'm old! I discovered Ruth Rendell in the early 1980s and continued to read most of her books until she died.

I'm hoping to discover a more current writer in the Rendell/Vine vein.

by Anonymousreply 65July 8, 2023 1:57 PM

I'm rereading - possibly for the fourth time - all of George Whitmore's work. Finished "Confessions of Danny Slocum", and "Nebraska." About to start 'Someone Was Here: Profiles in the AIDS Epidemic."

(Youngsters might want to look him up; Whitmore's part of gay history.)

by Anonymousreply 66July 8, 2023 3:14 PM

George Whitmore was a member of the Violet Quill and passed away from AIDS in 1989. Such a handsome man.

by Anonymousreply 67July 8, 2023 3:25 PM

Looking up Whitmore now. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 68July 8, 2023 3:34 PM

Just saw Lawn Boy's Jonathan Evison interviewed on MSNBC. The book has been mentioned on these book threads, I think. Evison is not gay? I had no idea.

Authors, of course, can write about anything. I mean gay writers writing about straight people is a given. But I have this weird reaction to straight writers writing "gay" novels. Maybe a result of my distaste for Yanigahara's abomination, 800 pages of A Little Life.

by Anonymousreply 69July 8, 2023 4:03 PM

R69, everybody’s a little bit gay.

by Anonymousreply 70July 8, 2023 4:06 PM

I love Barbara Vine/Ruth Rendell

by Anonymousreply 71July 8, 2023 5:08 PM

I taught Whitmore’s Someone’s Was Here in a seminar on AIDS in 1989! Students loved it. He died during the semester, which felt like a shock to them.

by Anonymousreply 72July 8, 2023 5:40 PM

I can’t read. I only look at pictures.

by Anonymousreply 73July 8, 2023 5:54 PM

For anybody who read Lawn Boy, can you say why Republicans wanted to ban the book without giving away spoilers?

by Anonymousreply 74July 8, 2023 6:17 PM

To answer you, r74, would have to be a big spoiler.

by Anonymousreply 75July 8, 2023 7:25 PM

There's Lawn Boy and Lawnboy. It's the first that was banned in FL,probably because it didn't give Ron D a boner.

by Anonymousreply 76July 8, 2023 10:16 PM

Just finished THE EDEN TEST after seeing it recommended in the last thread. Had a GONE GIRL vibe but not as strong of a plot (you can see a lot of it coming from a mile away. It was enjoyable enough for a summer beach read.

I didn’t know that the author’s wife was Julia May Jonas which Infoujd put in the Acknowledgments. I had thought of Jonas’s VLADÍMÍR while reading her husband’s novel. Hers is the more superior book by far. There are similarities…

by Anonymousreply 77July 8, 2023 11:19 PM

[quote] Any recommendations for a current author, British or otherwise, that is writing psychological thrillers like Ruth Rendell?

R63, have you tried any of Val McDermid’s work? It’s a bit too creepy and gruesome for me, but she writes the type of psychological stuff you seem to be looking for.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78July 8, 2023 11:43 PM

Looking for some good historical biographies. Any suggestions?

by Anonymousreply 79July 8, 2023 11:45 PM

R65, i love Ruth Rendell/Barbara Vine too. It is difficult to find someone similar. Have you read Tana French? Some, not all, of her books have Vive streak.

There is also a new one I discovered, Lucy Atkins. Different from Rendell, but i increasingly enjoy her books is Catherine Ryan Howard.

by Anonymousreply 80July 8, 2023 11:46 PM

You want a terrific British mystery author with a great imagination and plenty of skill? Try Gillian McAllister. I recommended her last book, "Wrong Place, Wrong Time", to a lot of my friends, every one of them loved it. Her next one, "Just Another Missing Person", comes out in 3 weeks.

by Anonymousreply 81July 8, 2023 11:47 PM

Read my burning bush

by Anonymousreply 82July 8, 2023 11:54 PM

[quote] Looking for some good historical biographies. Any suggestions?

Two of Lytton Strachey’s books, Eminent Victorians and Queen Victoria are great favourites of mine. He’s a little mocking, verging on bitchy, about his subjects, but he writes well and paints a good picture of the Victorian era.

by Anonymousreply 83July 9, 2023 12:00 AM

I like Stink Hole. It’s the bio of Spain’s Queen Isabella. She only bathed twice in her entire life.

by Anonymousreply 84July 9, 2023 12:07 AM

Denise Mina

by Anonymousreply 85July 9, 2023 12:09 AM

I'm reading Hermione Lee's biography of Penelope Fitzgerald, one of my favorite novelists of the twentieth century.

What an amazing life she had! She was born into one of the great intellectual families of early 20th century England (the Knoxes--both her grandfathers were Anglican bishops), and she was the star woman student during her time at Oxford. She married a very handsome Irishman who was a fuck-up and eventually a drunkard, and finally was caught embezzling from his office as a solicitor. She had three kids with him, and had this incredibly checkered life after college: she worked for the BBC during WW2; she co-edited an important literary & political magazine in the 50s with her husband; they moved to the remote East Anglian coast where she worked in a bookshop (which was possessed by a poltergeist, according to her and other people who lived in the town); when she and her husband separated over his drinking and thieving, she and her three children moved into a houseboat on the Thames, which eventually sank; she worked as a teacher for decades at a posh girls' school and a "cramming" school for the college exams, where her students included Anna Wintour, Helena Bonham-Carter, Edward St. Aubyn (who adored her), and even Queen Camilla; and she worked at the British Museum. And then finally, in her sixties she started publishing her novels: she wrote nine of them and three biographies before she finally died in 2000. The third novel won the Booker, and made her famous. And most of her novels are considered masterpieces.

Hermione Lee is probably the greatest living literary biographer in the UK, and so it's a hard book to put down.

by Anonymousreply 86July 9, 2023 12:13 AM

autobiography of farley granger, for the 2nd time...that queen knew ev one !!!! he fukd leonard bernstein, shelley winters, barbra stanwyck, arthur laurents, and hella lots others. he was a hottie when young.

by Anonymousreply 87July 9, 2023 1:07 AM

R87, who didn’t fuck Shelley Winters?

by Anonymousreply 88July 9, 2023 1:08 AM

Thanks for all the Ruth Rendell adjacent recommnedations!

by Anonymousreply 89July 9, 2023 3:25 AM

[quote]Looking for some good historical biographies. Any suggestions?

I read "Nicholas and Alexandra: The Classic Account of the Fall of the Romanov Dynasty" by Robert K. Massie last year, and I just couldn't put it down.

by Anonymousreply 90July 9, 2023 2:13 PM

Thanks for the historical biography suggestions!!

by Anonymousreply 91July 9, 2023 3:42 PM

Love this book!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92July 10, 2023 1:29 PM

I am reading The Last of the Wine by Mary Renault.

by Anonymousreply 93July 10, 2023 1:36 PM

Any fans of James Ellroy?

Never read him but I got AMERICAN TABLOID out of my library and I'm looking forward to digging in.

by Anonymousreply 94July 10, 2023 1:50 PM

Renault is wonderful. If you haven't read it, don't miss PERSIAN BOY.

by Anonymousreply 95July 10, 2023 1:57 PM

I'm thinking of starting [italic]The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair[/italic] soon, but thought I'd ask for advice about realistic expectations here first. The audio narrator has one sexy voice!

by Anonymousreply 96July 10, 2023 2:28 PM

Who is the narrator, r96? I saw the TV series. Which was watchable, with good acting, but odd.

by Anonymousreply 97July 10, 2023 2:47 PM

Reading this is fabulous!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98July 10, 2023 2:48 PM

Not a book per se, but did anyone read this in the fiction issue of the New Yorker? WTF is this nonsense?

And I liked the extended Secretary piece she did recently, but this reads like some bad journal entry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99July 10, 2023 2:49 PM

Pierce Cravens, R97, although I suspect it's an alias; some readers go by more than one nom-de-mic. It's free to listen to the sample at Audible. My library has the book via Libby (Overdrive).

by Anonymousreply 100July 10, 2023 2:59 PM

Thanks, R86, I also love Penelope Fitzgerald, and this is good encouragement to finally crack that biography.

I've been quickly reading through "The Best Boy in the World," by Andrew Tobias. It's clear to see why it was a big deal when it came out. He's roughly my parents' age, and it's led me to think a lot about how an earlier generation dealt with being gay, at least those at the very upper middle class of the spectrum. And interesting theories, very much of their time, about just what makes someone turn gay.

by Anonymousreply 101July 10, 2023 3:02 PM

Isn't it "The Best Little Boy In The World"? Did Tobias change the title? The first book about coming out I read. Still quote from it.

by Anonymousreply 102July 10, 2023 3:50 PM

Tobias has written two fiction books: The Best Little Boy in the World' and 'The Best Little Boy in the World Grows Up.'

by Anonymousreply 103July 10, 2023 3:56 PM

I’m reading two new books right now. The great Sally Bedell Smith’s biography of George VI and Elizabeth, & Richard Norton Smith’s biography of Gerald Ford. Not only do these biographers share the same surname, but they profile two accidents of history, unassuming individuals never destined for leadership but for the scandalous abdication/resignation of their principals.

by Anonymousreply 104July 10, 2023 8:49 PM

I don't read as many novels as some others, but I've started the very quirky Polish story [italic]Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead[/italic]. Anyone else familiar with it?

by Anonymousreply 105July 10, 2023 9:33 PM

R105, yes, I was a few years late to it but I really liked it.

by Anonymousreply 106July 10, 2023 9:35 PM

Is it a Jeremy Renner biography, r105?

by Anonymousreply 107July 10, 2023 9:36 PM

I only know the name Jeremy Renner from comments about him here, R107. So, no.

by Anonymousreply 108July 10, 2023 9:38 PM

A rather obscure but delightful book by David Daube: Civil Disobedience in Antiquity. (Oh, and if anyone has reading recommendations around the topic of civil disobedience, I welcome new suggestions!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109July 10, 2023 9:39 PM

Recommended!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110July 10, 2023 11:31 PM

The Dawn of Everything by David Graeber and David Wengrow which neatly turns a lot of the narratives of Western Civ on their heads.

Sailing to Sarantium by Guy Gavriel Kay - an alternate universe magic realism early Byzantine empire of Justinian and Theodora.

by Anonymousreply 111July 11, 2023 3:11 AM

Can't wait for this!

08/08/23

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112July 12, 2023 6:37 PM

I just finished HAWK MOUNTAIN by Conner Habib. Took me awhile to get into it, but I did eventually and ended up liking it (as much as one can "like" something so bleak and depressing).

For a complete change of pace, I've now started THE DECAGON HOUSE MURDERS by Yukito Ayatsuji, which is a throwback to classic Golden Age/Agatha Christie-style mysteries.

by Anonymousreply 113July 12, 2023 10:53 PM

Just finished "The Devil's Playground" by Craig Russell. Fascinating horror/mystery/thriller about a lost film of the same name set in 1897, 1927, and 1967. Clever novel mixing Hollywood fact and fiction.

by Anonymousreply 114July 13, 2023 2:14 PM

I just finished The Bishop Brothers, from Bart Yates. I bought it from some recommendations here. I understand people were in earnest here but god, I haven’t hated a book like this in a ling time.

The narrator is over indulgent, one of those types that seems like fan fiction, a hot tempered foull gay who inexplicably everyone love who meets him, though he treats everyone awfully. It is pver the top while the majority of the characters are cyphers. Also, its themes of incest, being gay predators and sex with teenagers pander to the worse cliches of our enimies. And it, the worse of sins, it was so overwritten.

by Anonymousreply 115July 14, 2023 10:27 PM

I loved The Librarianist by Patrick deWitt. I had also loved his previous novel French Exit.

by Anonymousreply 116July 14, 2023 10:30 PM

I loved the craziness of French Exit, r116, will look it up

by Anonymousreply 117July 14, 2023 10:52 PM

"The Humble Lover" by Edmund White and "Big Gay Wedding" by Byron Lane (husband of Stephen Crowley of "The Guncle" fame).

by Anonymousreply 118July 14, 2023 11:26 PM

Found French Exit disappointing to be honest

by Anonymousreply 119July 15, 2023 12:22 AM

Stink Hole

by Anonymousreply 120July 15, 2023 12:31 AM

Crowley's "The Celebrants" is built on a flimsy premise, but really delivers in the end. "Big Gay Wedding" is a big surprise. I don't think I've cried so much over an ending in a long time, and not for the reasons you'd assume, given the title.

by Anonymousreply 121July 15, 2023 2:19 PM

I'm thoroughly enjoying Caroline O'Donoghue's THE RACHEL INCIDENT, a new comic novel about a young straight woman's relationship with her gay roommate in Cork, Ireland. If you loved the Brit series FLEABAG you might love this.

by Anonymousreply 122July 17, 2023 1:59 PM

Reading THE DICTIONARY OF LOST WORDS by Pip Williams, a well-reviewed fictionalized account of the creation of the Oxford English Dictionary and the young women that were brought in as advisors in "women's words" in early 20th century Oxford. Some great writing but I wish there was a little more plot, a little more tension.

by Anonymousreply 123July 20, 2023 2:45 PM

Reading the new Colton Whitehead.

by Anonymousreply 124July 20, 2023 3:04 PM

I loved HARLEM SHUFFLE, r124. Please come back and give us a review of the new one when you're finished.

by Anonymousreply 125July 20, 2023 3:24 PM

Just read Casino Royale and Breakfast at Tiffany’s.

Very surprised by both.

In CR, Bond isn’t some gadget-using superhero. He’s good but also vulnerable and even falls in love. He even questions simple notions of right and wrong. It’s very interesting how Fleming started the character.

BAT was even more of a surprise. So very different from the schmaltzy romance. It’s pretty clear the narrator is gay and Holly is fag-hagging it up with him. I also love the setting, 1943. I love picturing Holly G in wartime nyc couture. And of course the ending couldn’t be more different. Greatly prefer Truman’s novella.

And bonus points for not having to cringe at Rooney.

by Anonymousreply 126July 20, 2023 3:35 PM

Be my baby the Ronnie Spector memoir

by Anonymousreply 127July 20, 2023 7:54 PM

The Sybil in Her Grave by Sarah Caudwell. So happy her four Hilary Tamar mysteries are being reissued.

by Anonymousreply 128July 20, 2023 11:55 PM

I read Tango by Justin Vivian Bond last night. A terrific short memoir.

by Anonymousreply 129July 21, 2023 12:51 AM

My Phatoms, Gwendoline Riley, a gruseome resd but i have not recently read a so completely realized character. Well, characters, both the farher and mother are horrible in unique and very recognizable ways.

And SPQR from Mary Beard. A wonder.

by Anonymousreply 130July 21, 2023 11:43 PM

Yeah, SPQR and her Vesuvius book met with my approval.

by Anonymousreply 131July 22, 2023 12:15 AM

Im reading a book on why most advertising/tv commercials these days is filled with only black people. fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 132July 22, 2023 5:40 AM

Did r132 wander in from one of the racist right-wing threads?

by Anonymousreply 133July 22, 2023 5:41 AM

A book of stories by Carson McCullers. Terribly overrated. I guess she knew how to edit so that nobody could make sense of what she wrote, which appealed to a certain type of literary critic years ago.

by Anonymousreply 134July 22, 2023 5:47 AM

I want to read that ad/black book, it is very odd how many negros are in ads.

by Anonymousreply 135July 22, 2023 5:56 AM

The Beautiful Side of Evil by Johanna Michaelson

by Anonymousreply 136July 22, 2023 10:51 AM

Murdered Heiress: Living Witness by Dr. Pettie Wagner

by Anonymousreply 137July 22, 2023 10:52 AM

Lovely book.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138July 22, 2023 12:44 PM

A Gentleman in Moscow. Very pleasant read.

by Anonymousreply 139July 22, 2023 1:19 PM

Say you're a white supremacist without saying you're a white supremacist: negros (not even negroes).

R135 might be Rep Eli Crane

[quote]colored people can serve in the military

by Anonymousreply 140July 22, 2023 3:45 PM

I'm halfway through Michael Koryta's "An Honest Man". He's terrific storyteller and top-notch writer. An ex-con spots a yacht drifting near his family boathouse somewhere in Maine and investigates. He finds seven bodies of prominent men. Then becomes the prime suspect.

by Anonymousreply 141July 24, 2023 4:49 PM

Wondering if anyone has read the mysteries of Sunjata Massey? The NY Times gave a great blurb to her latest in a series which features a woman attorney in early 1920s India. Sounded fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 142July 24, 2023 8:23 PM

I've read most that series, R142. The first few were okay, but later ones didn't hold my interest as much.

by Anonymousreply 143July 24, 2023 10:06 PM

What I read in June:

“The Dolphin Letters” ed. Hamilton

“Shadows on the Rock” - Cather

“Westerly” - Schutt

“Hollywood The Oral History” - Basinger, Wasson

“The Décline and Fall of the Roman Empire: The Turn of the Tide” - Gibbon

“The Handmaid’s Tale” - Atwood

“Jesus’ Son” - Johnson

“Romantic Comedy” - Sittenfield

“The Trackers” - Frazier

by Anonymousreply 144July 24, 2023 11:00 PM

Spider-Man.

by Anonymousreply 145July 24, 2023 11:01 PM

Did ypu like Rmantic Comedy, r114? I love Curtis but found this one underwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 146July 24, 2023 11:02 PM

The Ministry for the Future

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147July 24, 2023 11:04 PM

R114, it’s not great but it’s diverting. I really liked her American Wife. I thought the story inspired by Laura Bush was incredibly sad and tragic. It’s one of the best novels I’ve ever read. It’s repetitive but it adds to the power of it at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 148July 24, 2023 11:10 PM

R141, I’ve reserved this at my public library!

by Anonymousreply 149July 24, 2023 11:12 PM

When will Stephen McCauley published again? It’s been five years!

by Anonymousreply 150July 24, 2023 11:15 PM

R150, in January. Can’t wait!

by Anonymousreply 151July 24, 2023 11:22 PM

My Sweet, Tasty Hole

by Anonymousreply 152July 25, 2023 12:11 AM

Gibbon, r144? I'm impressed.

by Anonymousreply 153July 25, 2023 2:33 AM

[quote] Wondering if anyone has read the mysteries of Sunjata Massey? The NY Times gave a great blurb to her latest in a series which features a woman attorney in early 1920s India. Sounded fascinating.

Her first name is actually "Sujata" (no "n"), and I went to high school with her in suburban Minneapolis/St. Paul back in the 1980s (back when she was Sujata Banerjee). I've never read her books, I am ashamed to say.

She wanted to be a novelist even back then--she was a very bright young woman.

by Anonymousreply 154July 25, 2023 2:39 AM

My Fair Clit

by Anonymousreply 155July 25, 2023 2:55 AM

Mother, May I Sleep with Danger?: The Novelization of the Meh TV Movie

by Anonymousreply 156July 25, 2023 2:39 PM

Mother, May I take a shit?: The novelization of the bathroom bowel movement

by Anonymousreply 157July 25, 2023 9:34 PM

I am reading my first Shirley Jackson work, The Lottery.

by Anonymousreply 158July 30, 2023 5:44 AM

Reading Tim Murphy's SPEECH TEAM. Think it must be intended as a YA. Pleasant, so far, but not more than that.

by Anonymousreply 159July 30, 2023 11:11 AM

My husband was very excited to read Tim Murphy's book, too, but was appalled by the shallowness of it. Also, wondered if it was intended as YA. Sad, because his CHRISTODORA was so brilliant. I read his second book earlier this year CORRESPONDENTS and was very disappointed. Maybe Tim is a one hit wonder.

by Anonymousreply 160July 30, 2023 12:35 PM

Yesterday, I started [italic]The Fine Art of Invisible Detection[/italic] by Robert Goddard. Totally hooked at 90 minutes into the 12 hour audiobook!

by Anonymousreply 161July 30, 2023 12:36 PM

Is that fiction or a How-to book, r161?

by Anonymousreply 162July 30, 2023 12:44 PM

Reading breakfast at Tiffany’s because of a poster up thread.

So different from the movie wow.

by Anonymousreply 163July 30, 2023 1:02 PM

It is a novel, R162. A Japanese secretary in a detective agency is sent to London on case needing a female agent; a fellow in London receives a phone call from an acquaintance hinting he has answers to questions regarding that guy's unknown past. Each of the two have a meeting set up with the Mystery Man on seemingly different matters.

When I left off, he had stood up the woman; Mystery Man's call with the other guy was furtive, hinting he might not make their appointment (was in danger). Goddard does this genre well if you like thrillers and have never read him before.

by Anonymousreply 164July 30, 2023 1:55 PM

I revisited a bunch of gay books from the '80s this past month:

The Family of Max Desir (Robert Ferro)

Eight Days a Week (Larry Duplechan)

Confessions of a Rock Lobster (Aaron Fricke)

Next I'm on to a couple of months of short stories to read from my various collections. I'm starting with:

"Aliens" (David Leavitt)

"Sir Edmond Orme" (Henry James)

"My Uncle Jules" (Guy de Maupassant)

"The Assignation" (Poe)

"The Model Millionaire" (Wilde)

"The Green Door" (O. Henry)

by Anonymousreply 165July 30, 2023 2:09 PM

I'm reminded now that I read one of Robert Goddard's novels last year because of recommendations here. Can't remember the title but it was mystery about a middle aged frumpy Englishman living in Greece who tries to track down a beautiful young woman he knew who disappeared but left a trail of photos in her camera that he uses to try to find her. Interesting enough to hold my attention but in the end rather over-written and not really worth the effort, IMHO.

Your description of his other book does sound intriguing though, r164. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 166July 30, 2023 2:14 PM

Were the Wid Thing Are.

by Anonymousreply 167July 30, 2023 2:22 PM

R158 and R167 - be sure and reserve your evenings for several weeks to complete those tomes

by Anonymousreply 168July 30, 2023 2:38 PM

None of your fuckin’ business!!!

by Anonymousreply 169July 30, 2023 2:41 PM

Lytton Strachey had no descendants, r6. He had lots of cousins, however, and Nino Strachey appears to be a descendant of one of those. Her grandmother was a Strachey although her father appears to have chosen to keep the Strachey name, even though his surname is really Townely-O'Hagan (he is the Baron O'Hagan).

That's Out of the Blue, r166. I enjoy Robert Goddard's novels, but they can get a bit samey and too fast-paced.

by Anonymousreply 170July 30, 2023 2:45 PM

I read Out of the Blue a long time ago, recalling that I liked it. More recently,

by Anonymousreply 171July 30, 2023 3:09 PM

I recall having liked Out of the Blue when I read it years ago. However, I'm going to agree that Caught in the Light, which I read relatively recently, had that samey-ness about it. There's a sequel to this one featuring the Japanese lady, a great character to use for a series.

For those of you who like "focused" nonfiction, such as Mark Kurlansky's* [italic]Cod, Salt, etc.[/italic], I can recommend [italic]Jewels[/italic] by Victoria Finlay, which has a solid travel narrative aspect as well.

*his [italic]Ready for a Brand New Beat[/italic] gets a recommendation from me for those interested in the Motown story (era).

by Anonymousreply 172July 30, 2023 3:21 PM

Reading Thomas Mallon's "Fellow Travelers", which I've owned for a few years. I was between new titles and picked it up to give it another try. Now I'm hooked. Great story, very well done. And the miniseries with Matt Bomer is coming soon.

by Anonymousreply 173August 2, 2023 4:59 PM

I really liked Fellow Travelers. I remember thinking "This would make a good movie!" when I first read it, so I was glad to hear about the TV adaptation

by Anonymousreply 174August 2, 2023 5:48 PM

THE GUEST by Emma Cline is phenomenal. I really love the prose and this main character is so fun to follow. Great rec!!

by Anonymousreply 175August 2, 2023 6:46 PM

Except in the novel, the two male leads are of different generations, aren't they, unlike Bomer and Jonathan Bailey in the mini-series?

I hope they don't fuck it up. I remember liking the novel a lot though feeling a bit too unknowledgeable about the DC politics of the time, which Mallon takes for granted in the reader. No doubt the mini-series will dumb it down enough for me.

by Anonymousreply 176August 2, 2023 6:47 PM

"Except in the novel, the two male leads are of different generations, aren't they, unlike Bomer and Jonathan Bailey in the mini-series?"

I believe the two leads were supposed to be about 7-8 years apart in age

by Anonymousreply 177August 2, 2023 6:52 PM

I read Two Girls, Fat And Thin by Mary Gaitskill mainly for the title but it’s pretty good, set in NYC of the past, about a sex addict young writer (thin) who meets a woman (fat) who used to be part of a community of weirdos devoted to a wacko author based on Ayn Rand. Very funny and wry.

by Anonymousreply 178August 3, 2023 11:32 AM

The Guncle. So many raves from gay reviewers, but to me it's predictable and vapid.

by Anonymousreply 179August 3, 2023 12:00 PM

Has anyone read Steven Rowley's latest novel THE CELEBRANTS? It's our gay book club choice and I'm dreading having to read it.

by Anonymousreply 180August 3, 2023 12:45 PM

I found The Guncle utterly predictable but relatively well written. I'm not planning on wasting my time with The Celebrants.

Has anyone besides me read any of Alice Winters supernatural gay romance porn?

by Anonymousreply 181August 3, 2023 12:51 PM

Jesus and John Wayne: How White Evangelicals Corrupted a Faith and Fractured a Nation by Kristin Kobes Du Mez

by Anonymousreply 182August 3, 2023 12:55 PM

The latest Louise Penny Gamache mystery is one of the more harrowing in the series.

by Anonymousreply 183August 3, 2023 1:33 PM

The Queen v. Louis Riel. Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 184August 3, 2023 1:34 PM

As a cold- and large-handed humyn, I’m triggered by the colonial, racist and imperial literal-violence of OP’s dogmatic, systemic oppression.

by Anonymousreply 185August 3, 2023 1:43 PM

Listening to the audio Guncle, read by the author. He's doing himself no favors. He's competent, but no more than that.

by Anonymousreply 186August 3, 2023 2:18 PM

The Guncle feels almost like YA. It’s a poolside read.

by Anonymousreply 187August 3, 2023 2:21 PM

The line between adult and YA is often very blurry. SPEECH TEAM seems YA to me, but don't know if it's being marketed that way.

by Anonymousreply 188August 3, 2023 2:25 PM

R183 did you read the novel Louise Penny coauthored with Hillary Clinton?

by Anonymousreply 189August 3, 2023 2:38 PM

The Celebrants is, for the most part, so fucking boring. Rowley is a very lucky man. His husband's book, Big Gay Wedding, is so much better. And funnier. Byron Lane, unlike Rowley, is the real deal.

by Anonymousreply 190August 3, 2023 5:05 PM

Gave up on Guncle early on as the main character seemed unrealistic to me.

by Anonymousreply 191August 3, 2023 5:18 PM

R178, I love TWO GIRLS, FAT & THIN. I’ve always remembered the names of those two characters - Justine Shade and Dorothy Never. They almost sound like drag names.

You might be interested in this sentence analysis from the novel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192August 3, 2023 5:46 PM

I tried r189, but hated it and gave up. The authors seemed ill-at-ease in the genre.

by Anonymousreply 193August 3, 2023 5:48 PM

Ultra Processed People by Chris Van Tulleken

by Anonymousreply 194August 3, 2023 5:48 PM

Grandmother, May I Sleep with Danger?

by Anonymousreply 195August 3, 2023 5:50 PM

R183 Have you seen the Gamache series on Amazon? I'd never read the books, and found it very underwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 196August 3, 2023 6:27 PM

The books are underwhelming, too, r196. I truly don't get their popularity. Utterly lowbrow.

by Anonymousreply 197August 3, 2023 6:47 PM

Recently finished OHIO by Stephen Markley based on recommendations here at DL. Very bleak and disturbing to the point where it feels like the author is piling on.

So I decided to read Paul Rudnick's new book FARRELL COVINGTON AND THE LIMITS OF STYLE just for something lighter. It's generally amusing but also incredibly silly.

by Anonymousreply 198August 3, 2023 8:42 PM

I'll take Markley over Rudnick any day.

by Anonymousreply 199August 3, 2023 8:57 PM

Well, I'd hardly compare the two, R199. Markley is a true writer while Rudnick is a quipster.

by Anonymousreply 200August 3, 2023 9:18 PM

I think Markley succeeds in his goals far better than Rudnick in his, r200.

by Anonymousreply 201August 3, 2023 9:29 PM

I loved The Rachel Incident by Caroline O’Donoghue.

by Anonymousreply 202August 3, 2023 9:37 PM

How to Sell a Haunted House by Grady Hendrix. Just started it, came highly recommended.

by Anonymousreply 203August 3, 2023 9:38 PM

Thank you, r202! I recommended it upthread. I love that book.

by Anonymousreply 204August 3, 2023 9:40 PM

Also loving Rachel Incident. Thank you for the recommendation

by Anonymousreply 205August 3, 2023 10:25 PM

Catching up by reading Harlem Shuffle. While I don’t like all of Whitehead’s books (Sag Harbor and Zone One did nothing for me, but The Nickel Boys is one of the greatest short novels I’ve ever read), he is consistently great at the level of sentences. And, even working within familiar genre tropes (as he is here), the writing is always a pleasure stylistically.

by Anonymousreply 206August 3, 2023 11:07 PM

My Clit My Life

by Anonymousreply 207August 3, 2023 11:36 PM

R197, I’ve worked in publishing for almost forty years and have learned that people who toss around terms like “utterly lowbrow” don’t really love books or understand reading.

by Anonymousreply 208August 4, 2023 12:18 AM

Mary Kay Ash - beautiful

by Anonymousreply 209August 4, 2023 12:32 AM

Based on guys here I've put Rachel Incident on my Audible wishlist.

by Anonymousreply 210August 4, 2023 11:52 AM

I liked Colson's new book much better than its prequel, "Harlem Shuffle", especially in the second half of the novel, when the writing and the story takes on more urgency.

by Anonymousreply 211August 4, 2023 4:36 PM

An Ordinary Man, Richard Norton Smith's bio of Jerry Ford. Not terribly critical, unsurprisingly as the author has been the director of both of Ford's Presidential Libraries, split into museum and archives.

He'll always be the President with the asterisk after his name but comes out looking like the last sane Republican.

by Anonymousreply 212August 4, 2023 4:50 PM

Looking forward to the August Wilson biography, which arrives on the 15th!

by Anonymousreply 213August 4, 2023 4:54 PM

I’m about halfway through Tom Lake, Ann Patchett’s new novel. I thought The Dutch House was terrific, but this one is extraordinarily frau-ey. With every page my testosterone level drops a little more.

by Anonymousreply 214August 7, 2023 3:25 AM

Fox fire by Avon

by Anonymousreply 215August 7, 2023 10:06 AM

Finished Speech Team. Some effective writing, but the premise is so contrived (as is its resolution) that it lost me. Still wonder if this is meant for the YA audience.

by Anonymousreply 216August 7, 2023 12:30 PM

I've never understood the critical acclaim for Ann Patchett. As a lowbrow chick lit writer she's fine.

by Anonymousreply 217August 7, 2023 12:44 PM

And such a GOOD friend! (Ask Lucy Grealy—oh, you can’t, as she’s dead. But read TRUTH AND BEAUTY, Patchett’s hatchet job disguised as a loving tribute to her “dear friend.” If she’s a friend, give me enemies I know are enemies).

by Anonymousreply 218August 7, 2023 1:44 PM

A most inspiring book!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219August 7, 2023 1:46 PM

R217, have you read BEL CANTO? That might change your mind.

I thought her THE DUTCH HOUSE should have won the Pulitzer that year, although THE NICKEL BOYS is a worthy winner.

by Anonymousreply 220August 7, 2023 2:07 PM

r220, I read BEL CANTO and that's where I formed my opinion on Patchett.

by Anonymousreply 221August 7, 2023 2:18 PM

I couldn't get through Bel Canto.

by Anonymousreply 222August 7, 2023 2:20 PM

I rather like Patchett. It's Anne Tyler who bores me to distraction.

by Anonymousreply 223August 7, 2023 2:20 PM

Reading Missing from the Village by Justin Ling.

So far so good.

Tried to read Ann Patchett and couldn't get into it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224August 7, 2023 2:28 PM

R221 Interesting. The glowing reviews for Bel Canto made me get it... and I've tried to read it at least 3-4 times. Never get beyond about 40 pages. Just doesn't let me in. It sits there on the shelf of "books I need to read".... waiting....

by Anonymousreply 225August 7, 2023 2:54 PM

Curious if anyone here has read TELL ME HOW TO BE by Neel Patel, a novel about a widowed Indian woman and her grown gay son, both living in Illinois? A friend recommended it to me and I'm wondering if it would be a good book for my gay book club.

by Anonymousreply 226August 7, 2023 5:03 PM

Bel Canto is the only Patchett I’ve really liked. The others I’ve read are competently written, but hardly gripping.

by Anonymousreply 227August 7, 2023 5:57 PM

I am finally reading Gore Vidal's seminal early novel THE CITY AND THE PILLAR. Not at all what I expected. Have most of you bitches already read it? Lots to unpack there.

by Anonymousreply 228August 8, 2023 2:43 PM

R228, why do you always write the titles in block capitals? It's so irritating.

by Anonymousreply 229August 8, 2023 2:48 PM

It's an excellent book and groundbreaking. It took courage to write as an openly gay man in that era.

by Anonymousreply 230August 8, 2023 2:50 PM

I'm not 228, but formatting here is enough of a pain that titles in caps works for me, instead of italics.

by Anonymousreply 231August 8, 2023 3:05 PM

To get your attention, r229. It seems to work.

by Anonymousreply 232August 8, 2023 3:07 PM

R226: I put it in my Audible wishlist based on the audio sample. My ex was Gujarati.

by Anonymousreply 233August 8, 2023 3:16 PM

Everyone else seems to manage to write their titles perfectly clearly without using caps, r231.

by Anonymousreply 234August 8, 2023 4:35 PM

R232, it's a bit difficult to avoid you, since you've written at least 138 of the posts on this thread. That doesn't mean I notice the titles of the books you recommend, however, as the caps are so annoying I just whizz past them. So, kinda defeats the purpose for you.

by Anonymousreply 235August 8, 2023 4:37 PM

I need a new book.

I tried Birnam Wood by Eleanor Catton but couldn't get into it.

by Anonymousreply 236August 8, 2023 4:38 PM

Practical Solitary Magic by Nancy B. Watson. I'm confident I'll be able to fly by the end of the week.

by Anonymousreply 237August 8, 2023 4:43 PM

SKIPPY DIES, anyone?

by Anonymousreply 238August 8, 2023 5:06 PM

I loved SKIPPY DIES when I read it a few years ago. Read a couple earlier of books by Paul Murray but they were disappointing. But he has a new novel coming out this fall and I'm very much looking forward to it.

by Anonymousreply 239August 8, 2023 5:23 PM

r235, well! If you've resorted to counting all my posts, I guess I really have gotten your attention, lol.

And I'm proud of my posts. Several recommendations, including THE RACHEL INCIDENT, have been very appreciated here. I enjoy keeping these book threads lively.

by Anonymousreply 240August 8, 2023 5:27 PM

Rachel is on my TBR pile, but not completely convinced.

by Anonymousreply 241August 8, 2023 5:38 PM

Interesting piece from Rachel Incident author.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242August 8, 2023 5:50 PM

I'm about 20% into SKIPPY, but still unsure of how I feel. Think I might move to the audio version. His new one is THE BEE STING, already longlisted for the Booker.

by Anonymousreply 243August 8, 2023 6:38 PM

R192 Thank you for that! Most reviews talk about how Two Girls Fat And Thin is minor and flawed Mary Gaitskill but I loved it. I’m glad to see a bit of analysis of it out there.

by Anonymousreply 244August 9, 2023 2:03 AM

[quote] Check. out OUR COUNTRY FRIENDS by Gary Shteyngart.

You need to tell us what it's about and why you think it's worth checking out.

by Anonymousreply 245August 9, 2023 2:05 AM

Our Country Friends is boring.

by Anonymousreply 246August 9, 2023 4:16 PM

Yes - I couldn't get through it either r246

by Anonymousreply 247August 9, 2023 4:51 PM

Same for me. The premise was somewhat interesting, friends gathering at a country house during Covid, but it went nowhere fast and I gave up halfway through. I don' think Shteyngart is nearly as amusing as he thinks he is.

by Anonymousreply 248August 9, 2023 5:04 PM

A writer in my writing group brought up Our Country Friends as an example of recent “pandemic fiction” that does *not* work.

by Anonymousreply 249August 9, 2023 5:04 PM

I highly recommend “Shelter in Place” by David Leavitt.

by Anonymousreply 250August 9, 2023 5:06 PM

Loved SHELTER IN PLACE and recommended it upthread or in the last thread. It really restored some of my faith in David Leavitt.

by Anonymousreply 251August 9, 2023 5:09 PM

Our Country Friends is next in my library queue. I wonder if I'll like it. I did like Shelter in Place.

by Anonymousreply 252August 9, 2023 5:09 PM

Will try Shelter in Place. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 253August 9, 2023 8:34 PM

Shelter in Place is Leavitt returning to what he knows. More the world of Lost Language of Cranes, Family Dancing and The Term Paper Writer (albeit an older wiser Leavitt) than The Indian Clerk, Two Hotels Frankfort and that Stephen Spender rip-off.

by Anonymousreply 254August 9, 2023 11:10 PM

Rereading [italic]Agency[/italic] by Wm. Gibson

by Anonymousreply 255August 9, 2023 11:40 PM

R173/r174 I searched the thread to see if anyone had read Fellow Travelers so I’m pleased to see your recs.

Has anyone read Cleopatra And Frankenstein by Coco Mellors?

by Anonymousreply 256August 10, 2023 12:03 AM

R256 I tried it and it couldn’t stomach it. The author seems insufferable too

by Anonymousreply 257August 10, 2023 12:05 AM

[quote]Has anyone read Cleopatra And Frankenstein by Coco Mellors?

[quote]I tried it and it couldn’t stomach it. The author seems insufferable too

But...it features "gender queerness."

by Anonymousreply 258August 10, 2023 12:07 AM

When I want what I call my "airport" paperbacks, I usually go to police procedurals, and mystery thrillers, political whodunits, etc. So I started the latest Michael Connolly book with his favorite Detective, Harry Bosch, and I ended up staying awake half the night reading. Haven't done that in years. If you like those light detective novels, I highly recommend everything Connolly has written. He's that good. Harry Bosch and the Lincoln Lawyer series are my favorites. Bosch has a very good series on Prime too if you like watching detective shows.

by Anonymousreply 259August 10, 2023 8:20 PM

After having AI bots recommend it to me for years, I'm finally reading "Ordinary Grace" by William Kent Krueger. Slow, pleasant, but nothing great so far, and a touch too religious for me.

Is anyone here familiar with the novels of Celia Dale? They sound intriguing but are not readily available in the US. I don't want to go through a lot of bother if they're not that good.

by Anonymousreply 260August 12, 2023 12:33 PM

We had our gay book club last night in which we discussed the new Steven Rowley book THE CELEBRANTS. While none us loved the book, most liked it and through the connection of a friend of a friend, Rowley very generously had done a 15 minute zoom conversation with one of our members that we all watched. The book really sparked some great conversation. He also wrote THE EDITOR (about a young writer's relationship with his editor Jackie O.) and THE GUNCLE.

This one's about a group of 5 former college roommates, including 2 gays, 2 women and 1 straight guy, who make a pact upon their graduation in 1995 to meet up if ever any of them are in great distress and hold a "mock funeral" to celebrate and extoll the virtues of that person. It's less simplistic than I've just made it sound and quite entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 261August 12, 2023 12:52 PM

Rowley’s writing a very “cheese” element.

by Anonymousreply 262August 12, 2023 2:01 PM

Enjoying Shelter in Place - thank you for the recommendation

by Anonymousreply 263August 12, 2023 2:12 PM

Palo Alto: A History of California, Capitalism, and the World by Malcolm Harris. How the Spanish, Mexicans, Anglos and eventually Americans set up capitalism in Alta California by first enslaving and killing the Ohlone, so little of whom is known because their extinction was so complete, and ultimately giving us Silicon Valley with brief stops for Leland Stanford, the Gianninis, the Golden Spike, and the Big Four.

The late Kevin Starr (who Arnold appointed State Historian when he was governor) was a great chronicler of the state's history but his generation was trained differently. Harris covers the path from the original land and claims thefts to those going on today with the technology industry. It's a different approach to writing history. Honestly.

Also loved Up With the Sun, my enthusiasm multiplied when I gave it the husband - who's not much of a reader - and he couldn't put it down. He lived in NYC when the murder happened and said the story was in the papers every day, with the Post and the Daily News fighting over the gruesome bits. He even went looking for the brownstone when he was in the neighborhood. He reminded me we'd seen Dolores in 42nd Street and that I'd apparently spent half the night, [italics]sotto voce,[/italics] saying, "Well, she's no Tammy Grimes."

by Anonymousreply 264August 12, 2023 6:13 PM

A surprising number of old Californio families are still wealthy landlords in California.

by Anonymousreply 265August 12, 2023 6:14 PM

Enjoying Skippy Dies, and am glad I alternate chapters between print and audio. The narrator helps to enjoy the Irishness of it all, and multiple voices for the other characters are also a plus. About 1/3 into it.

by Anonymousreply 266August 12, 2023 6:33 PM

I'm getting ready to dive into American Prometheus. Oppenheimer biography. He seems like an interesting guy.

by Anonymousreply 267August 13, 2023 12:30 AM

I"m reaeding about the Arizona Orphan kidnapping when the white people in a town got together and kidnapped some orphans shipped from New York to the Catholic Mexican families in their town.

by Anonymousreply 268August 13, 2023 3:27 AM

Night Clit

by Anonymousreply 269August 13, 2023 3:39 PM

You know, r269, your posts are singularly unfunny and pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 270August 13, 2023 3:41 PM

Thx r270.

by Anonymousreply 271August 13, 2023 4:08 PM

Fuckeress

by Anonymousreply 272August 13, 2023 4:09 PM

R272 does remind me of an actual novel, albeit porn, which once referred to its heroine as “the indomitable fuckstress.”

by Anonymousreply 273August 13, 2023 4:18 PM

[quote][R272] does remind me of an actual novel, albeit porn, which once referred to its heroine as “the indomitable fuckstress.”

[italic]Mansfield Park[/italic] by Jane Austen.

by Anonymousreply 274August 13, 2023 5:00 PM

I've just started reading The Brothers by Stephen Kinzer. Non Fiction. Historical biography of the Dulles brothers. John FOster Dulles was Secretary of State and his brother Allen Dulles was director of the CIA. It's not a dry read. It's pretty easy, and it tells the story of how our foreign policy evolved and the whole "American Exceptionalism" theory was the dominant framework. We are still dealing with the fallout from their disastrous policies. If this is in your wheelhouse, I highly recommend it.

by Anonymousreply 275August 13, 2023 5:04 PM

"and how the whole American Exceptionalism theory became the framework for all our foreign policy decisions even through to present day."

by Anonymousreply 276August 13, 2023 5:05 PM

Any books out there about clits at night?

by Anonymousreply 277August 13, 2023 5:35 PM

Here you go, r277

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278August 13, 2023 6:17 PM

Didn't Carol Burnett become a TV star singing "I Made a Fool of Myself Over John Foster Dulles" on the old Garry Moore Show? Dulles was once a highly topical public figure.

by Anonymousreply 279August 13, 2023 6:49 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280August 13, 2023 11:29 PM

Talk about topical humor that dates badly. But thanks for posting, r280!

by Anonymousreply 281August 14, 2023 2:20 AM

The DUlles brothers didn't like the Kennedys, going back to Joe Kennedy fucking up with Great Britain.

by Anonymousreply 282August 14, 2023 12:39 PM

Sex Joy

by Anonymousreply 283August 14, 2023 1:57 PM

The Kennedys didn't like Allen Dulles (John Foster was dead before Kennedy was elected) because he, Ike, and the CIA foisted the Bay of Pigs fiasco on him.

by Anonymousreply 284August 14, 2023 2:33 PM

R275 Several years ago I read "The Limits of Power: End of American Exceptionalism" by Andrew Bacevich - a military officer in the first Gulf War before he became a respected academic. It was mostly about the disastrous mindset of the Bush W. gang.... and how Americans' ideas of their "exceptional" superiority destroy so much of the planet...it was an interesting perspective; not Right v Left rather reality v delusion.

by Anonymousreply 285August 16, 2023 3:11 PM

Sounds interesting r285

by Anonymousreply 286August 16, 2023 10:34 PM

The Late Americans by Brandon Taylor. He’s become one of my favorite contemporary writers.

by Anonymousreply 287August 17, 2023 3:10 AM

R287 me too. I posted upthread about him. Such a great writer - I read his 3 books so quickly.

by Anonymousreply 288August 17, 2023 4:25 AM

"Whalefall, surprisingly, is riveting. And very emotional. And triggering.

by Anonymousreply 289August 17, 2023 5:37 PM

I finished Shelter in Place. I was very engaged throughout the book (almost read like a play), but was sort of "meh" at the end. For those of you who really liked it, what did you like about it? Just curious.

by Anonymousreply 290August 17, 2023 6:01 PM

r290, I always seem to enjoy satiric novels with unlikeable though recognizably real characters and Shelter in Place had that in spades. I agree that the book is kind of plotless and teetered off a bit at the end, but I found it an intelligent and witty beach read.

by Anonymousreply 291August 17, 2023 6:12 PM

Any fans here of Robertson Davies? I can't remember his name ever coming up.

A friend of mine who knows I love to read was shocked that I'd never read him and more or less shamed me into getting a hold of Fifth Business, which is the first novel of The Deptford Trilogy. I'm only about 30 pages in but just loving it! What a great old-fashioned story-teller he is, in the best sense.

by Anonymousreply 292August 17, 2023 6:23 PM

Read Davies religiously years ago. The Deptford Trilogy was on the reading list of most literary fiction fans in the 70s, and they led a lot of us to the Salterton Trilogy, which I found totally charming and keep planning to reread. Kind of pulled up short with his last books, but still remember him fondly. Read Fifth Business for the second time last year. But he seems to have fallen way off the radar since his death. Not sure why.

by Anonymousreply 293August 17, 2023 6:48 PM

The Clitford Trilogy

by Anonymousreply 294August 17, 2023 6:59 PM

R287. He writes good sentences, but, my God, such a grievance queen! I’m sure it was tough being a black gay man in STEM at Madison and I’m sure the Poetry Workshop at Iowa is a nest of vipers, but try writing about something other than how poorly elite academia has treated you. Of the gay Black fiction writers I much prefer Bryan Washington

by Anonymousreply 295August 17, 2023 11:34 PM

Oh I’ve never read him r295 - I’ll check him out. Which book would you start with?

by Anonymousreply 296August 18, 2023 9:11 PM

And then there’s twat!

by Anonymousreply 297August 18, 2023 9:31 PM

Not, r295, but I would recommend his novel MEMORIAL. Have read only a couple of his stories.

by Anonymousreply 298August 18, 2023 10:18 PM

What other current, new-ish gay writers would you recommend?

I’ll check out Bryan Washington.

by Anonymousreply 299August 18, 2023 11:11 PM

I just read "Candidate without a Prayer" by Herb Silverman. He ran for governor of South Carolina in 1990 as a declared atheist to challenge the provision in the state constitution that states, "No person shall be eligible to the office of Governor who denies the existence of the Supreme Being." He lost the election, but eventually the state supreme court ruled that the article violated the U.S. constitution. The book starts as a straightforward memoir of his childhood in a conservative, working class Jewish family in Philadelphia, then veers off into self-contained chapters about aspects of his work in the "secular humanist" community and his career as a professor of mathematics, then concludes with an account of his (happy) late-in-life marriage and the deaths of his parents. He is a good (not great), funny (not hilarious) writer, and he deserves a lot of credit for the work he has done to mitigate religious control of public institutions, particularly (but not only) in the bible belt. My favorite quote is advice he shared with students: "It is better to ask a dumb question than to remain dumb."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300August 19, 2023 12:47 AM

After a number of attempts and abandonments, I finally just finished "The Brothers Karamazov". One of the things that stopped me previously was the relationship between the father and sons, but this time I realized that Fyodor Karamazov is exactly like Donald Trump- a gross, old corrupt lech who plays the fool specifically to advance his own interests (and he also thinks it's fun). He flatters himself that by transgressing society's norms openly, he is smarter than everyone else- and in reality he a lot of times does actually get what he wants this way.

I'm glad I persevered- before I was put off by the complexity of Dostoyevski's characters but this is actually the great thing about him- he acknowledges people's crossing urges and thoughts. The Father Zosima sections are wonderful and have given me ideas about what it means to be a good person, what is real happiness.

by Anonymousreply 301August 19, 2023 1:46 AM

I also tried to read The Bros K last year but gave up after about 50 pages. You make me want to give it another go, r301.

by Anonymousreply 302August 19, 2023 2:08 AM

Speaking of gay authors, has anyone here read any of Alexander Chee's novels? The Queen of the Night and Edinburgh both sound very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 303August 19, 2023 2:09 AM

[Quote]The Queen of the Night

r303

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304August 19, 2023 11:38 AM

r299, try Tom Crewe's The New Life. And if you haven't already, Douglas Stuart's Shuggie Bain and Young Mungo.

by Anonymousreply 305August 19, 2023 1:37 PM

I liked Edinburgh, haven’t read Queen of the Night. His auto fiction, How to Write an Autobiographical Novel is worth reading too.

by Anonymousreply 306August 19, 2023 2:45 PM

R305 I read Shuggie Bain a couple of months ago; now in the middle of Young Mungo. Stuart's very good at capturing culture, class, period.

Is Garth Greenwell new/young enough to qualify for this question? Cleanness - his last novel not as good as the first What Belongs to You - in my opinion.

Caleb Crain - kind of Greenwell lite. Been around 10 years though... so not so new.

by Anonymousreply 307August 19, 2023 3:02 PM

Andrew Duxbury's 'The Accidental Plague Diaries' - the effect of the pandemic on health care and society through the eyes of a gay physician.

by Anonymousreply 308August 19, 2023 3:21 PM

Blood and ink by Joe Pompeo about the Hall-Mills murder case in 1922.

by Anonymousreply 309August 19, 2023 3:35 PM

Louis Bayard is a wonderful gay novelist who often writes historical fiction with a gay slant. JACKIE & ME about young Jackie Bouvier's friendship with JFK's bff Lem Billings and COURTING MR. LINCOLN about the love triangle of Abe, Mary Todd and Joshua Speed.

Bayard's writing is very elegant and smart and well-researched- but if you're looking for explicit sex scenes, he's not your man.

He also wrote THE PALE BLUE EYE, a murder mystery with young Edgar Allan Poe as a student at West Point (with no gay slant) but I liked it much less. It was made into a film last year with Christian Bale (as the detective character). And MR. TIMOTHY in which he imagines Tiny Tim in his later years. An interesting novelist, for sure.

by Anonymousreply 310August 19, 2023 3:50 PM

I second the enthusiasm for Bayard.

by Anonymousreply 311August 19, 2023 4:19 PM

I'm currently studying the book "Street Walker"

by Anonymousreply 312August 19, 2023 4:22 PM

The Gift of Asher Lev, Chaim Potok's second novel about his wildly successful artist character, Asher Lev. It picks up sometime in the 1980s. I was so charmed by the first book, My Name Is Asher Lev, which someone recommended here, I couldn't wait to dig into the second volume.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313August 19, 2023 4:48 PM

Currently reading Arthur Laurents' memoir [bold]Original Story By[/bold]. Many names are dropped and he certainly doesn't mince words; it's quite dishy. I'm also really surprised by how much he talks about gay life and his own sexuality. (10 servicemen in one WWII-era weekend? Mary!)

by Anonymousreply 314August 19, 2023 6:28 PM

IIRC Arthur Laurents' second memoir MAINLY ON DIRECTING is even dishier and meaner on colleagues and ex-friends. like he knew he was dying and had to get it all out.

by Anonymousreply 315August 20, 2023 2:37 AM

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo, it really is massive and filled with rambling digressions, but it's all so good! The musical seems less than worthless after getting acquainted with Hugo's narrative voice. That man could write about anything and make it engaging and powerful.

by Anonymousreply 316August 21, 2023 10:02 PM

Fart Starter

by Anonymousreply 317August 21, 2023 10:22 PM

"The Girl Who Fell Down: A Biography of Joan McCracken" by Lisa Jo Sagolla. It's a very well researched book, published 20 years ago, when many of McCracken's friends and colleagues were still alive and available to be interviewed, including her last boyfriend and a close friend and neighbor who share very personal perspectives. McCracken died when she was 43, but her life and career were packed with drama and make for compelling reading. Her love of dance and being part of the creative process herself (as well as being a strong supportive force for other artists, including her husbands Jack Dunphy and Bob Fosse) was her driving passion from a very early age. Her success in "Oklahoma" brought offers from Hollywood, but her time there was brief and disappointing and she happily returned to the theater to dance and act. Diabetes and related heart problems were obstacles that she overcame until the last few years of her life, when she had to stop dancing and slow down. Just before she died, she spent 18 months with her boyfriend in her isolated cabin on Fire Island, where she painted, visited with friends, appreciated the beauty of nature, and enjoyed her last love affair; the chapter covering this period ("Fire Island Finale") is lovely and could serve as the basis for a self-contained movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318August 21, 2023 11:22 PM

Don't leave out that her husband Jack Dunphy went on to be the lover of Truman Capote.

by Anonymousreply 319August 22, 2023 1:54 AM

McCracken had a long affair with the French composer Rudi Revil while Dunphy was overseas during the war, and Dunphy said when he came back to New York he knew immediately that McCracken had been unfaithful. Later, he wrote that it was physically impossible for him to have sex with someone who had betrayed him, and "I would never have become homosexual if Joan had stayed with me." But he and McCracken and Capote remained friends until she died, although she said that Capote stopped giving her a Christmas gift after he found out that she had exchanged a clear crystal Steuben ashtray he had given her for a colored crystal piece she preferred.

by Anonymousreply 320August 22, 2023 2:38 AM

Mary Rodgers is very funny regarding Arthur Laurents in her memoir SHY. She refers to him very early in the book after the first time she mentions him as "that little shit," but she won't be specific about what he did that was so horrible--which is very much in keeping with Rodgers's tone (she tries to be very honest about people, but she also doesn't like recounting grievances except in the case of her parents).

But she basically must assume you've read his memoirs and know why she would think him such an awful person (he seems to be the person she most dislikes whom she's ever known well). He comes across as completely insufferable in them--a mean, self-important man who nursed his grudges his entire life.

by Anonymousreply 321August 22, 2023 4:15 AM

So Dunphy was not gay before he met McCracken? Doubtful.

by Anonymousreply 322August 22, 2023 12:17 PM

Are they ever, R322?

by Anonymousreply 323August 22, 2023 6:28 PM

A friend of mine went on a Sebastian Barry tear and then loaned me several of his books. Christ and His nails, those Irish stories are so sad. So many characters end up in an insane asylum or shot due to sectarian violence or world war. "Annie Dunne" was my favorite because of its simplicity, language, locale and surprising tension.

by Anonymousreply 324August 23, 2023 11:59 PM

Cocks!

by Anonymousreply 325August 24, 2023 12:36 AM

Picked up a historical fiction about Mary Todd Lincoln at a neighborhood used book sale. It's surprisingly well written, but portrays Mary as quite the little horndog, which is really not something I ever wanted to contemplate.

by Anonymousreply 326August 24, 2023 1:19 AM

Loved “Best Men” by Sidney Karger. Light read (and quite a fantasy) but well done and lovely.

Hope they make it into a movie,

by Anonymousreply 327August 25, 2023 2:41 AM

I'm still hoping Merchant-Ivory Productions rises from the grave and films Tom Crewe's "The New Life," preferably as five- or six-part miniseries.

by Anonymousreply 328August 25, 2023 5:27 PM

Well, Ivory is still around at 95!

by Anonymousreply 329August 25, 2023 6:24 PM

Well, I hope whoever brings THE NEW LIFE to the screen, infuses a little more emotion and compassion in it than the book offers.

by Anonymousreply 330August 25, 2023 6:39 PM

I bought The Dollhouse by Fiona Davis on Kindle. It’s a historical fiction set in two time periods which typically screams “Women’s Fiction”, but I thought I’d try this because the setting is the hotel that Sylvia Plath lived in while writing for Mademoiselle.

by Anonymousreply 331August 26, 2023 2:08 PM

Recently read Anthony Horowitz' Magpie Murders and Moonflower Murders. Rather fun deconstructions of the classic British whodunnit.

by Anonymousreply 332August 26, 2023 3:09 PM

I liked Magpie Murders

by Anonymousreply 333August 26, 2023 5:32 PM

I enjoyed Magpie Murders but have found all of Horowitz's succeeding novels to be very facile and disappointing, including the Sherlocks. Sometimes I can't believe this is the same fellow who was responsible for Foyle's War, one of my most favorite tv series ever.

by Anonymousreply 334August 26, 2023 6:00 PM

I enjoyed reading The Night Clit Murders.

by Anonymousreply 335August 26, 2023 10:21 PM

Reading “Summer House with Swimming Pool” by Herman Koch. Enjoying it.

by Anonymousreply 336August 26, 2023 10:56 PM

I happily just banned r335 from my life.

by Anonymousreply 337August 27, 2023 2:39 AM

I tried reading “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep,” the inspiration for Blade Runner. Didn’t age well — it has a corny Jetsons vibe to it.

Now reading Neuromancer and enjoying it a lot more.

by Anonymousreply 338August 27, 2023 2:49 AM

I love Gibson’s Pattern Recognition. Not science fiction but feels like it.

by Anonymousreply 339August 27, 2023 4:52 PM

R337 LMFAO!!

by Anonymousreply 340August 27, 2023 4:54 PM

This is extraordinary reading!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 341August 28, 2023 1:17 AM

^ Gym Jordan

by Anonymousreply 342August 28, 2023 1:18 AM

Gym, you can lend that to Denny Hastert when you're done

by Anonymousreply 343August 28, 2023 1:28 AM

Gym Bag Jordan!

by Anonymousreply 344August 28, 2023 1:41 AM

I just finished "The Lookback Window" by Kyle Dillon Hertz. It's angry, sad, beautiful, funny and daring. About a man who was sexually abused and prostituted as a teen, who tries to climb back to normalcy as an adult, despite his CPTSD and monumental anger issues. It is raw and sexually explicit, and beautifully written.

by Anonymousreply 345August 28, 2023 4:37 PM

I've read several non fiction books, so I switched it up with non fiction. Since I am passionate about history, and politics,etc. I started The Brothers about John Foster Dulles and his brother Allen Dulles. Foster was Secretary of State and his brother was Director of the CIA. It was written by Stephen Kinzer. Excellent easy reading. Fascinating. And IMO a must read if you are remotely interested in how we got to this point. Those two motherfuckers were poison.

by Anonymousreply 346August 28, 2023 4:43 PM

New book.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347August 30, 2023 10:56 PM

"Speech Team" by Tim Murphy is a complete surprise. Not your usual "secrets we hid when we were teens" crap, but an honest look at the lasting damage mentors can cause and being adult enough to grow out of it.

by Anonymousreply 348August 31, 2023 1:32 AM

Anyone read The Sweetness of Water?

by Anonymousreply 349August 31, 2023 1:48 AM

In September, I'll start reading the Seth books by Jane Roberts. Has anyone here read them?

by Anonymousreply 350August 31, 2023 1:37 PM

R350 Yes to the first question, not to the second.

by Anonymousreply 351August 31, 2023 1:55 PM

I am LOVING Paul Murray's The Bee Sting. Only 1/4 of the way through its 640 pages and I know there is apparently a "difficult" patch of writing in the middle somewhere, but for now, WOW! Can't put it down.

by Anonymousreply 352August 31, 2023 2:02 PM

R350. My husband met Jane Roberts decades ago. (We live in Ithaca, she lived in Elmira, and he did research on parapsychology). A bit of a loon, I gather (her, not my husband.)

by Anonymousreply 353August 31, 2023 6:10 PM

Silhouettes and Shadows

by Anonymousreply 354August 31, 2023 8:43 PM

I'm listening to the gay YA classic "I'll get there. It better be worth the trip." by John Donovan. One of those "voices" of an adult looking back rather than a teen relating real-time events, unless extremely precocious.

by Anonymousreply 355August 31, 2023 10:51 PM

Enjoying the new Andrew Ridker book “Hope”

by Anonymousreply 356September 1, 2023 12:17 AM

Bee Sting is getting high praise in a lot of corners. Think it might be the Booker front runner.

by Anonymousreply 357September 1, 2023 2:19 AM

New novels coming out soon from Nathan Hill and Tim O'Brien!

by Anonymousreply 358September 2, 2023 10:56 PM

I enjoyed The Nix, but can't remember a thing about it.

by Anonymousreply 359September 2, 2023 10:59 PM

I know Meryl was all set to do the movie of "The Nix".

by Anonymousreply 360September 2, 2023 11:32 PM

R355 I read the book when it was posted—O was in middle school. Formative..

by Anonymousreply 361September 2, 2023 11:36 PM

I'll get off. You better be hung.

by Anonymousreply 362September 3, 2023 12:30 AM

Tuesdays With My Pussy

by Anonymousreply 363September 3, 2023 12:39 AM

Oh yeah!

by Anonymousreply 364September 3, 2023 2:37 AM

"George, Nicholas, and Wilhelm: Three Royal Cousins and the Road to World War I" by Miranda Carter, another used book sale find. I have to say all three come off like dull, fatuous twats.

by Anonymousreply 365September 3, 2023 7:40 PM

The wrinkled old prune ass by the datalounge

by Anonymousreply 366September 3, 2023 7:41 PM

Just finishing up Olive Kitteridge. I know I'm behind the times...

by Anonymousreply 367September 4, 2023 2:09 AM

I just read "Blue Pages," a novel by Eleanor Perry. She and her first husband co-wrote suspense novels under a pseudonym, then she became a playwright, and, finally, a screenwriter, often working with her second husband, Frank Perry (who directed "Mommie Dearest"). Their first collaboration ("David and Lisa") was a sleeper hit and they were both nominated for Oscars. "Blue Pages" is a tell all (barely fictionalized) story about her and Frank's marriage and divorce and her career in Hollywood. The novel was published in 1979, eight years after she and Frank divorced and two years before she died. She is a smart and funny writer (although the New Yorker's satiric view of California was a cliche even in 1979), and she is also pretty scathing about Lucia's (the character based on her) what would now be called (desperate) "codependence" on a series of men who act like spoiled babies and her desire to placate, rather than confront, them. That helps counterbalance the absolutely brutal portrait of the overweight and status-seeking Vincent, the character based on Frank. There are also less than flattering sketches of characters based on Sarah Miles, Sam Spiegel, and, most viciously, Truman Capote, among many others. Lots of pointlessly bitchy gossip makes it an easy read, but the last couple chapters include a misguided fantasy about her husband's mistress that should have been edited out and the jokes throughout are hit and miss.

by Anonymousreply 368September 4, 2023 3:10 AM

That sounds quite fascinating and fun, r368. But how the fuck did you happen on such an obscure book?

by Anonymousreply 369September 4, 2023 3:16 AM

I loved Eleanor Perry. A guy I was dating knew I was interested in screenwriting and Hollywood worked in a bookstore and brought me home a copy of Blue Pages. Loved it. Wish I still had it.

Was it she who first quipped “Writers are the women of Hollywood”?

by Anonymousreply 370September 4, 2023 3:47 AM

One of the epigraphs is:

Writers are the women of the film industry.

-Overheard in the Beverly Hills hotel

by Anonymousreply 371September 4, 2023 3:57 AM

Re-reading Jamie O'Neill's "At Swim Two Boys," one of my favorite novels. Would it kill someone to film it as a miniseries? Where are Merchant-Ivory when you need them? (Yes, I know Mr. Ivory is still with us.) It would probably cost a fortune -- the cast needn't be particularly large (and good luck finding the right two actors to play the boys), but it's a period piece (Dublin 1915). Sigh...

by Anonymousreply 372September 4, 2023 7:30 PM

OMG, r372, I was just telling a friend last night that I want to start a campaign to get more visibility for AT SWIM as a major gay novel of the modern era. This well-read gay friend had never heard of it, and I think it's a masterpiece. I know it offers some stylistic challenges to the reader, but it's so worth the challenge. Maybe part of the reason it's overlooked is that O'Neill hasn't published anything of consequence since then.

by Anonymousreply 373September 4, 2023 9:05 PM

There was talk years ago that At Swim Two Boys was going to be made into a movie but I guess that never came to fruition

by Anonymousreply 374September 4, 2023 9:27 PM

I finished "I'll get there. It Better Be Worth the Trip" today. Some reviewers were annoyed that the fooling around is off-screen, by reference. The kids are 13 years old - who wants details of that?

One of the few who was fine with the ending. Audio voice of the other kid, Doug, sounded a lot older. I couldn't shake the feeling that he seemed less naive, more the aggressor ... especially the shower scene.

My biggest issue was suspending disbelief that he would go to live with his mother when Grandmother (his guardian) died. She was clearly unfit for that to happen, and no better when he moved in. She seemed to be more interested in padding as much child support from his father than really wanting him there.

by Anonymousreply 375September 5, 2023 12:38 AM

I’ll Get There… was published for 12-year-olds more than fifty years ago. Who expects a sex scene? Besides, there’s no reason to think the boys even HAD sex, they were rolling around on the floor and got aroused. That’s it.

by Anonymousreply 376September 5, 2023 12:43 AM

Why didn't you like the Seth books R351?

by Anonymousreply 377September 5, 2023 2:59 PM

Because, R377, a friend who was convinced they (to the exclusion of just about every other source) held the key to the meaning of life sent me a bunch of them after I almost lost mine. At the time, my efforts were focused on the illness and how to treat it, not to read some woo-woo New Age tripe about how Seth was an "energy personality essence no longer focused in physical matter" when I was very much focused on remaining as physical matter.

by Anonymousreply 378September 5, 2023 3:12 PM

Here’s a Barbie poem I found on Twitter from the author of “At Danceteria” a book that has been mentioned in past threads. I didn’t know he wrote poetry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379September 5, 2023 4:43 PM

Just finished Neuromancer. I enjoyed it quite a bit but a lot of it is trying to describe the hacker’s mind as it interfaced with cyberspace (a term Gibson actually coined) and that actually fell a bit flat with me.

Next I’m going back to Kershaw’s Hitler bio, the second volume, “Nemesis.” It’s enormous and I suspect I’ll be reading it until well into the fall. Am thinking of reading more Gibson after that though. The leaves will likely be off the trees by then!

by Anonymousreply 380September 5, 2023 5:16 PM

Just finished EXPENSIVE PEOPLE by Joyce Carol Oates. It was published in 1968 but felt so modern to me in so much of its sensibility, particularly the darker sides of American suburbia and the hallmarks of American “success.” Oates definitely had a pulse on where things were headed.

This book (and main character) are also very much pre-Columbine massacre indicators.

Gripping and immediate opening lines of the novel too: “I was a child murderer. I don’t mean child-murderer, though that’s an idea. I mean child murderer, that is, a murderer who happens to be a child, or a child who happens to be a murderer. You can take your choice.”

by Anonymousreply 381September 5, 2023 6:46 PM

Wow, r381!

by Anonymousreply 382September 5, 2023 6:47 PM

Please Help Me!

by Anonymousreply 383September 5, 2023 10:38 PM

Yes!

by Anonymousreply 384September 6, 2023 11:24 PM

Just started Stephen King's "Holly".

by Anonymousreply 385September 6, 2023 11:39 PM

You Make Me Feel Like A Shell-shocked Veteran

by Anonymousreply 386September 6, 2023 11:41 PM

I'm reading Burn it Down, by Maureen Ryan. It's a nonfiction book about how Hollywood is run by by abusive assholes and everyone not rich or powerful is screwed by the system. There's some good behind the scenes stuff, but it's mostly chapter after chapter of people making themselves victims.

by Anonymousreply 387September 6, 2023 11:44 PM

Oh that sounds just delightful, r387!

by Anonymousreply 388September 7, 2023 3:19 AM

I finished Paul Murray's THE BEE STING last week, a thrilling read! Definitely not for everyone, as any book over 640 pages is going to require a little patience. But well worth it.

It's the story of a once prosperous if highly dysfunctional contemporary Irish family suffering through post-recession financial problems with a working class history that takes you back to the father's and mother's difficult childhoods and how this mismatched couple came to marry. As well as hilarious and poignant chapters on their two teenaged kids. The high school daughter applying for college was my favorite character.

Each character's point of view is brilliantly captured in their own literary style and the mom's is in first person stream of consciousness with no punctuation, which may sound challenging but was not at all for me. I did have some issues with the father's back story but the whole thing comes together to a smashing climax which will have book groups drooling - so many interpretations possible. Well, actually the wife was another favorite character - I think Murray's women are better written and more truthful than his men.

Anyway, highly recommend this one for readers looking for a cozy fall page turner.

Really looking forward now to Zadie Smith's new one FRAUD and Ann Patchett's TOM LAKE (not a fan but all my friends are loving it).

by Anonymousreply 389September 10, 2023 5:09 PM

R389, I’m about halfway through The Bee Sting and I’m loving it. It reminds me of Jonathan Franzen at his best.

I’m also looking forward to The Fraud. I didn’t like Tom Lake as much as I was expecting to (it wasn’t in the same league as The Dutch House).

by Anonymousreply 390September 10, 2023 5:15 PM

Skippy Dies is also a great read, if a tad overlong.

by Anonymousreply 391September 10, 2023 6:56 PM

I just finished [bold]Gays on Broadway[/bold] by Ethan Mordden. Very disappointing, especially considering how much I've enjoyed other books of his. Though parts of it were good/interesting, it was really all over the place. Half the time it seemed like Mordden wasn't even trying.

by Anonymousreply 392September 10, 2023 8:42 PM

I don't think he is trying. Some of his later books are self-published and filled with errors. Hear he is always in need of money.

by Anonymousreply 393September 10, 2023 10:10 PM

Your Feet Make Me Cum

by Anonymousreply 394September 10, 2023 10:16 PM

A book called Gays On Broadway with a publicity still from an off-Broadway play on the cover should have been your first red flag.

by Anonymousreply 395September 10, 2023 11:14 PM

Thoughts on The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami? Bought it on a friends rec and I kind of like it but not sure it's ever going to leave that odd dream state and really get going. Anyone read it?

Also, are there any Patrick Gale fans here? Another friend gave me his latest novel Mother's Boy and while I used to be a huge fan (way back in the 80s and 90s when he was young and subversive), most of his latest efforts have been a bit sentimental for my tastes. I guess I should just try it, it's free, right?

by Anonymousreply 396September 11, 2023 10:01 PM

R396, I don’t remember all the details of The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, as I read it about 25 years ago, but I know that I loved it. I ended up reading several other Murakami books.

by Anonymousreply 397September 11, 2023 10:03 PM

You encourage me, r397. Thanks!

I do like the writing and there is something very compelling about it, Just wondering how it can sustain itself for 600 pages.

by Anonymousreply 398September 11, 2023 10:16 PM

Gale's early books were darkly funny. Haven't read him in years, but they recent ones seem family saga historic epics.

by Anonymousreply 399September 11, 2023 10:17 PM

Any fans of Orhan Pamuk? I absolutely loved The Museum of Innocence and also really liked The Red-Haired Woman.

by Anonymousreply 400September 11, 2023 10:20 PM

[QUOTE] I do like the writing and there is something very compelling about it, Just wondering how it can sustain itself for 600 pages.

Just keep going. There is a huge payoff. One of my favorite books of all time.

Norwegian Wood is very different but it’s classic Murakami and I recommend it as well.

by Anonymousreply 401September 11, 2023 10:48 PM

So great to see gorgeous Juanita Tolliver in the studio with Ari! And sitting next to Common!! I wonder which one gets to take her out to dinner?

by Anonymousreply 402September 11, 2023 10:56 PM

OOPs! Wrong thread ^^^^^

by Anonymousreply 403September 11, 2023 10:57 PM

Tuesdays With My Colostomy

by Anonymousreply 404September 12, 2023 2:08 AM

R404, do you actually think that you’re funny? Way too many stupid comments like this in these threads. Get a life.

by Anonymousreply 405September 12, 2023 2:22 PM

R405 you really know how to hurt people

by Anonymousreply 406September 13, 2023 1:41 AM

Reading Simple Passion by Annie ernaux. Very quick read (90 pages or so).

If you’re the type who’s ever been obsessed with a man - check this out. The way she described her obsession with a guy she had a brief affair with is very embarrassing and highly relatable. If you’re the quietly obsessive type 😳

by Anonymousreply 407September 13, 2023 12:53 PM

I just had the joy of blocking the anti-book reading asshole coming up with the not funny fake titles. Bye Felicia!

by Anonymousreply 408September 13, 2023 2:58 PM

The joy of farting in public

by Anonymousreply 409September 13, 2023 11:38 PM

R408 you keep that nose in your book now. Don’t you put that nose in an ass.

by Anonymousreply 410September 13, 2023 11:40 PM

Same here. R396. Recall liking it, but not details.

by Anonymousreply 411September 15, 2023 12:16 AM

The joy of double anal with a big piss finish

by Anonymousreply 412September 15, 2023 12:27 AM

Shy by Mary Rodgers with Jesse Green. Funny and dishy.

by Anonymousreply 413September 15, 2023 1:30 AM

I've just started the new Stephen King, HOLLY. 30 pages in and very engaging! I'm a voracious reader but it's my first King believe it or not.

by Anonymousreply 414September 16, 2023 1:10 AM

And I gave up on HOLLY last night around 70 pages in. Just too silly for me. Maybe this is what Stephen King is like, I don't know. A waste of $20.

Luckily, nabbed Zadie Smith's THE FRAUD at my library this morning. We'll see. Loved her WHITE TEETH and ON BEAUTY but found SWING TIME a little disappointing. But she's always an intelligent writer.

by Anonymousreply 415September 16, 2023 7:07 PM

Just finished WESTLAKE SOUL by Rio Youers.

Simply one of the best books I've read in years.

by Anonymousreply 416September 16, 2023 9:52 PM

I’m enjoying Paul Rudnick’s new novel. Old school gay, still witty.

by Anonymousreply 417September 16, 2023 9:55 PM

Started Disorderly Men by Edward Cahill. About 3 men in the 60s and the different ways they were affected by Stonewall. So far absorbing, but the writing is a bit labored.

by Anonymousreply 418September 16, 2023 10:38 PM

“The Last” by Hanna Jamison is great.

by Anonymousreply 419September 17, 2023 2:05 AM

"Dark Ride" by Lou Berney is a terrific thriller that goes down a dark rabbit hole.

by Anonymousreply 420September 18, 2023 2:11 PM

"How to Hide an Empire" by Daniel Immerwahr. So interesting.

by Anonymousreply 421September 18, 2023 2:18 PM

"Fortune's Children: The Fall of the House of Vanderbilt"

To say they were trash would be an insult to trash

by Anonymousreply 422September 18, 2023 2:23 PM

Lou Berney's NOVEMBER ROAD is even better.

by Anonymousreply 423September 18, 2023 3:22 PM

I've had November Road on request at the library for months now thanks to this thread. Still hasn't come in.

Having finished "George, Nicholas, and Wilhelm," I'm going back and dipping in to parts of Barbara Tuchman's classic, "The Proud Tower."

by Anonymousreply 424September 18, 2023 4:15 PM

"November Road" is the book that introduced me to Lou Berney. He's an amazingly concise, gifted writer with a dark sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 425September 18, 2023 4:25 PM

Re: Lou Berney

Some readers disliked "The Long and Faraway Gone" which I thought terrific! Is he a homosexualist?

by Anonymousreply 426September 20, 2023 12:10 AM

Well, r426, a differing opinion.

I loved November Road but was then very disappointed with The Long and Faraway Gone, which I think Berney wrote first. Why would you think he's a homosexualist? There's nothing in his writing that would indicate that to me. Quite the opposite, actually.

by Anonymousreply 427September 20, 2023 12:35 AM

I finished "November Road" this afternoon. It's a disappointing piece of shit. No suspense. No thrills. No redeemable characters. Suck-ass ending. I would have suspected it was written by a first-time novelist. I think "November Road" was a fluke.

by Anonymousreply 428September 20, 2023 9:02 PM

Sorry for the post above. I finished "Dark Ride" this afternoon, not "November Road". It's Dark Ride that's a piece of shit. I honestly don't know how got published.

by Anonymousreply 429September 20, 2023 9:58 PM

He thinks I steal cars

by Anonymousreply 430September 20, 2023 10:00 PM

I just read two books by Helen DeWitt: the novel "The Last Samurai" (2000) and the very short novella "The English Understand Wool" (2022). "The Last Samurai" is about an extremely precocious boy raised and educated by his extremely intelligent single American mother in London in the late 80s and 90s. Eventually the boy searches for his biological father and then, fantastically, for a more intelligent substitute. Part of the novel is told from the point of view of the mother, and part is told from the point of view of the boy, who reminded me strongly of a Salinger character. Both characters, and the novel itself, are immersed in a world of often obscure books, art, and languages, discussion and analysis of which (sometimes intense, sometimes funny) are a big component of the text. I found the novel compelling, although, eventually, it became too cute and sentimental for my taste. "The English Understand Wool" is a satire on the publishing industry, which has been, in various ways, the bane of DeWitt's career (she believes the editors of "The Last Samurai" wanted to "kill the mind that wrote the book"). The novella is a quick read and has some very funny bits and vivid descriptive writing, but the twist near the end fell flat for me. DeWitt has published one other novel and a collection of stories.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 431September 20, 2023 10:23 PM

She sounds fascinating, r431! Thanks for bringing her to my attention. Off to London in a couple of day and will look for DeWitt's books in the book shops there.

by Anonymousreply 432September 20, 2023 10:30 PM

Last Samurai is often listed as one of the great books of the 20th century. Doesn't sound very appealing to me, but I feel obliged to give it a try.

by Anonymousreply 433September 20, 2023 10:46 PM

Reading "Wellness" by Nathan Hill. He's a superb writer. When I finish, I think I'll have to read "The Nix" again.

by Anonymousreply 434September 22, 2023 1:59 PM

Has anyone else read “Big Swiss?” Wild ride.

by Anonymousreply 435September 27, 2023 9:14 PM

Hill is on the podcast Gays Are Reading. He seems like a decent, balanced guy. The book really doesn't interest me, but I think I'll read it anyway after listening to him. (The podcast is worth a listen, although one of the hosts is in serious need of speech training.)

by Anonymousreply 436September 27, 2023 10:04 PM

Your Face Is In My Ass: 50 activities that will change your life

by Anonymousreply 437September 27, 2023 11:18 PM

Upcoming: North Woods by Daniel Mason

Half-way through Kate Atkinson's Life after Life (so-so IMO; familiar ground covered thousands of times in family novels)

James Salter's Burning the Days: Recollection; his oeuvre is small but elegant and eloquent.

Ann Cleeve's The Raging Storm (the third entry in her Matthew Venn series; MV is a young gay detective)

Still plugging away at Joseph Conrad's Nostromo (three more chapters)

by Anonymousreply 438September 28, 2023 12:38 AM

The End of Reality by Jonathan Taplin. About how tech billionaires are destroying America. Really good so far, I'm about halfway through it

by Anonymousreply 439September 28, 2023 12:43 AM

Re-read Joan Didion’s Salvador 40 years later. It holds up, even as it resembles a long piece in The New Yorker.

by Anonymousreply 440September 28, 2023 12:49 AM

The Wager -- no opinion yet.

by Anonymousreply 441September 28, 2023 1:15 AM

Disorderly Men: Three homosexual men with different lives are arrested in a NY gay bar police raid in the early 60s. How they react in different ways to the event creates an interesting portrait of pre-Stonewall urban life. Haven't finished it yet, but the stories are compelling and the political and cultural landscapes are accurate, even if the prose is frequently turgid. A debut novel.

by Anonymousreply 442September 28, 2023 4:07 AM

r442, who wrote it? Sounds interesting

by Anonymousreply 443September 28, 2023 4:25 AM

Immerahr's book was fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 444September 28, 2023 6:17 AM

Just bought these best-selling paperbacks and curious if anyone's read them and has any feedback:

THE RABBIT HUTCH by Tess Gunty

THE SKELETON KEY by Erin Kelly

THE APPEAL by Janice Hallett

by Anonymousreply 445September 28, 2023 9:43 AM

r443, Edward Cahill. He teaches at Fordham.

by Anonymousreply 446September 28, 2023 12:33 PM

I just started Naomi Klein's "Doppelganger." It uses that fact that she often gets mistaken for Naomi Wolf—and how that has become more of a problem for her as Wolf has grows crazier and crazier—as a jumping off point to write about many facets of life in our conspiracy-soaked digital age.

Love it so far.

by Anonymousreply 447September 28, 2023 1:37 PM

Melvin Belli's book on the Jack Ruby trial. So interesting the way Dallas city leadership sabotaged him.

by Anonymousreply 448September 30, 2023 4:33 PM

Crimes of the 20th Century Explored: American Prostitution Busts

by Anonymousreply 449September 30, 2023 9:10 PM

DISORDERLY MEN ends very satisfyingly, if not necessarily happily, for all three of them. I'm glad I read it.

by Anonymousreply 450September 30, 2023 9:51 PM

Ann Patchett's "Tom Lake" was a huge surprise for me. I started it, almost gave up, then went back and read it in an afternoon. Joyous experience with some serious subject matter, but it reads like a dream. Someone is bound to make this into a top-tier mini-series.

by Anonymousreply 451October 2, 2023 1:55 AM

70% through Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow. I’m rather enjoying it. I can see why this book has become a sleeper hit. It goes down nicely, and I’m invested in the complicated relationship of the two main characters, Sam and Sadie. Not sure if it will stick the landing, but really enjoyable so far.

by Anonymousreply 452October 2, 2023 2:11 AM

It's the last 30% of Tomorrow x 3 that I found disappointing. But it's a huge bestseller among younger readers so what do I know?

by Anonymousreply 453October 2, 2023 2:30 AM

Just started the bee sting. So far so good.

by Anonymousreply 454October 2, 2023 2:44 AM

After this environment, many find scriptural passages rather dry material and turn to hardcore pornography.

It is said that the tears of true inspiration come from reading anal stories. Even solo stories about cunt manipulation.

by Anonymousreply 455October 2, 2023 10:11 AM

The Spy and the Traitor by Ben McIntyre

by Anonymousreply 456October 2, 2023 10:12 AM

I loved The Bee Sting. It has some bumpy sections but I was quite overwhelmed with its brilliance at the end. Well worth reading.

by Anonymousreply 457October 2, 2023 1:55 PM

Abut two thirds of the way through Geraldine Brooks "Horse." A wildly compelling read. Good, good book.

by Anonymousreply 458October 2, 2023 2:10 PM

I just finished "The House Across the Lake" by Riley Sager. I was not expecting the twist.

by Anonymousreply 459October 2, 2023 2:58 PM

“Mrs Paine’s Garage” about the Texas Quaker who opened her home to Marina and Lee Oswald in 1963 before Oswald shot JFK.

by Anonymousreply 460October 2, 2023 3:17 PM

Does anyone but me read the Robert Galbraith (JK Rowling) Cormoran Strike novels?

The TV show with Tom Burke is good. I’m only 15 chapters into her latest, The Running Grave, but it may be the best of the series.

by Anonymousreply 461October 2, 2023 11:32 PM

[quote]Does anyone but me read the Robert Galbraith (JK Rowling) Cormoran Strike novels?

I read the first. I thought it was too long. Most mysteries end between 300-350 pages. This one was 450-500 IIRC. Too many repeated scenes with one character in particular. Not going to bother with the rest unless I completely run out of things to read.

[quote]The TV show with Tom Burke is good.

I haven't watched it. Is it shot in London locations, or is it mostly indoor scenes?

by Anonymousreply 462October 3, 2023 12:14 AM

The Cuckoo’s Calling was a gigantic slog fest. God I hated that fucking book.

by Anonymousreply 463October 3, 2023 1:16 AM

The characters were all so unpleasant in it, too, r463.

by Anonymousreply 464October 3, 2023 11:19 AM

r463 r464 The Cuckoo’s Calling is the book I'm talking about. Do subsequent books get any better or, at least, any shorter?

- r462

by Anonymousreply 465October 3, 2023 4:56 PM

They get longer and I won't subject myself to them any longer after plowing through the second one.

by Anonymousreply 466October 3, 2023 8:59 PM

Can't remember the title of that Galbraith/Rowling book but it was the first with that pen name. Didn't finish because the characters were so unpleasant. And I'm all for books with unlikeable characters but they have be engaging.

by Anonymousreply 467October 3, 2023 9:01 PM

I just finished “Mad as Hell: The Making of ‘Network’ and the Fateful Vision of the Angriest Man in Movies” by Dave Itzkoff. I am a huge NETWORK fan so I enjoyed a lot of the backstage stuff. And there’s so great tea about Faye.

Beatrice Straight’s dark horse Oscar win for a less than five minute scene has always been one of my favorites in that category so it was very interesting for me to hear that her entire scene was *this* close to being left on the cutting room floor. Someone really fought for her to stay in.

The book was published ten years and acknowledges how much of the film, so shocking and inconceivable at the time, has actually come true. You can only imagine how much truer it is today.

by Anonymousreply 468October 3, 2023 10:22 PM

I just finished “Horny As Hell: The Making of The Half Fucked Fox

by Anonymousreply 469October 3, 2023 10:40 PM

Does anyone else on this thread find that the thread watcher refuses to discount the last post and always has a 1 beside it? Only on this thread...

by Anonymousreply 470October 4, 2023 1:59 AM

^^ Happens to me in the THEATRE GOSSIP thread occasionally. Usually clears up the next day.

by Anonymousreply 471October 4, 2023 4:48 PM

Just finished "All The Beauty In The World," by Patrick Bringley which I got from the library, chiefly because NYT said good things about it. Interesting read. Finally, less about the Metropolitan Museum than it is a meditation on how encountering art changes us as human being. I'd give it 7.5 stars out of 10.

by Anonymousreply 472October 5, 2023 1:12 AM

Just finished ALL THE BEAUTY IN THE WORLD., which I picked up from the library because Scott Simon oc NPR felt ir rated an nterview with the author. Interesting read...more a meditation on the way encountering art (and museums) helps shape us as human beings and less on the day-to-day life of a museum guard. 7 out of 10....okay, but not shoving it into the hands of friends with the "you MUST read this" urging.

by Anonymousreply 473October 6, 2023 1:45 AM

"The Wager" was a bit of a let down, and nowhere near as good as "Killers of the Flower Moon" by the same author. I can't really fault the author; I feel that there was probably a paucity of historical evidence and documentation of the nitty gritty details needed to craft a compelling narrative. But I did learn that Lord Byron's grandfather was among the crew who survived. And I never fail to marvel at how Britain was able to dominate the world with her Navy when it was packed with so many crazy and/or incompetent fuckers.

by Anonymousreply 474October 6, 2023 10:21 AM

I far preferred The Wager to Killers.... couldn't even finish the later book.

by Anonymousreply 475October 6, 2023 12:56 PM

Anyone ever read anything by the new Nobel laureate Jon Fosse?

by Anonymousreply 476October 6, 2023 1:02 PM

Just finisned All The Beauty in the World, which I snagged from the library, chiefly because Scott Simon from NPT felt it merited an interview. An interesting read....more a meditation on how encountering art (and museumss) changes us as human beings than on his time as a guard at the Metropolitan Museum. 7 or 8 out of 10.

by Anonymousreply 477October 6, 2023 1:35 PM

I bought The Wager but haven't read it yet

by Anonymousreply 478October 6, 2023 5:23 PM

Read the first two chapters of Bee Sting and it’s so depressing. Does it get any better? The writing is great but it’s so heavy.

by Anonymousreply 479October 6, 2023 5:54 PM

Murray's SKIPPY DIES was filled with humor, so I'm surprised it's lacking in his new one.

by Anonymousreply 480October 6, 2023 7:00 PM

The humor and satire are very much there in The Bee Sting, too, but it is ultimately a sad tale. I loved it but recognize it's not for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 481October 6, 2023 7:21 PM

Could someone recommend something fun/funny? Could be crime, fiction, whatever. I have some medical issues I want to distract myself from.

by Anonymousreply 482October 8, 2023 3:02 AM

Have you read any of Richard Osman's Thursday Murder Club mysteries, r482? They're brilliantly witty and smart.

4 aged but devilishly clever pensioners who live in a well-heeled retirement home outside London solve local crimes. Not nearly as twee as they'd probably sound in a capsule review, filled with sharp droll humor and wonderfully observed characters. He's just come out with the 4th in the series The Last Devil to Die but I'd recommend beginning with the first one The Thursday Murder Club.

And if you're over a certain age, you'll really appreciate Osman's great wonderment and respect for the elderly.

by Anonymousreply 483October 8, 2023 3:13 AM

r482, maybe some classic Agatha Christie?

by Anonymousreply 484October 8, 2023 3:24 AM

Underneath The Shit Tree

by Anonymousreply 485October 8, 2023 4:29 PM

The Baron in the Trees for a quickie one-off

by Anonymousreply 486October 8, 2023 5:24 PM

Still Life by Sarah Winman

by Anonymousreply 487October 8, 2023 7:09 PM

R482: If you have even a passing interest in Broadway, read Shy by Mary Rodgers and Jesse Green.

by Anonymousreply 488October 8, 2023 7:55 PM

Currently reading a fun little British crime novel (not really a "mystery," as most of the book is from the POV of the criminals) called "Sheep's Clothing" by Celia Dale. Two grifter women play upon little old pensioner ladies, then things take a turn. It's got an Inspector Morse-like vibe with the very Early-80s-Englishness of the setting. I think many on this thread would enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 489October 8, 2023 8:23 PM

Loved Speech Team by Tim Murphy. Started out a little slow but really picked up.

by Anonymousreply 490October 10, 2023 3:14 AM

I hear it's very YA, r490. Too YA.

by Anonymousreply 491October 10, 2023 12:37 PM

R491 it is a bit. I was suspicious at first, but he’s a good writer and you get swept into it. It delivers quite an emotional punch at the end. Plus it’s a quick read, the main character is a gay man and if you’re in your 40s, a lot of the descriptions of high school and aging resonate.

I recommend.

by Anonymousreply 492October 10, 2023 12:44 PM

I am old enough to be the father of someone in their 40s so I guess I'll just pass, r492. I loved Murphy's Christodora but was then very disappointed by his follow-up (spacing on the title) novel. I think maybe it was called Correspondents or some generic title like that. It wasn't too YA, just dull.

by Anonymousreply 493October 10, 2023 12:54 PM

Agree that SPEECH TEACHER is a disappointment and was indeed YA, at least in execution. The central premise and its conclusion were pretty weak.

by Anonymousreply 494October 10, 2023 1:32 PM

I just looked up Speech Team on Amazon and saw it has a blurb from Andy Cohen. What a terrible sign.

by Anonymousreply 495October 10, 2023 1:38 PM

I really liked THE RABBIT HUTCH by Tess Gunty, a debut novel by a very unique voice.

by Anonymousreply 496October 10, 2023 1:45 PM

Why does someone capitalize titles? It comes across like shouting and isn't the right way to type out titles either.

by Anonymousreply 497October 10, 2023 1:48 PM

The latest Richard Osman Thursday Murder Club book, the 4th in the series, THE LAST DEVIL TO DIE, far exceeded my expectations. A deeper dive into the characters and the mystery plotting is quite clever, too.

But if you've never read him, please read his books in the order in which they were written.

by Anonymousreply 498October 10, 2023 1:50 PM

[quote]Why does someone capitalize titles? It comes across like shouting and isn't the right way to type out titles either.

Because our italics function is too complicated. Duh!

by Anonymousreply 499October 10, 2023 1:53 PM

[QUOTE] Why does someone capitalize titles? It comes across like shouting and isn't the right way to type out titles either.

Why are you Hall Monitor-ing this thread? ALL CAPS differentiates the book title from the rest of the post (obviously).

No one finds it “shouty” except for you. And, yes, you’ve complained about this before.

by Anonymousreply 500October 10, 2023 2:54 PM

I like the all caps titles. Easy to read. It's the whole paragraph in all caps that is like shouting.

by Anonymousreply 501October 10, 2023 4:02 PM

Yes r493 I couldn’t get into correspondents either.

Loved Christadora so much. Powerful book.

by Anonymousreply 502October 10, 2023 6:41 PM

CHRISTODORA is excellent. Incredibly moving and so well written. There has been a lot of very keenly written 1980s-era AIDS fiction in the last 7-8 years and I think Tim Murphy’s novel really kicked off the trend.

I would also recommend Rebecca Makkai’s THE GREAT BELIEVERS and Philip Dean Walker’s AT DANCETERIA and BETTER DAVIS for the same subject matter. Murphy even blurbs the latter book.

by Anonymousreply 503October 10, 2023 6:53 PM

YES IT DOES COME ACROSS LIKE SHOUTING.

by Anonymousreply 504October 10, 2023 7:39 PM

r503 loved those too. Also loved "After Francesco" by Brian Malloy.

by Anonymousreply 505October 10, 2023 7:56 PM

I am also reading Doppelgänger and loving it.

Re Robert Galbraith, i read them all except for the one that came out recently. Cuckoo, the first one, is the worst. It is also the shorter. They become longer and longer, but are still very readable . Only i wish some editor had the guts to tell her to cut off at least 20%, we do not need 5 pages of Robin waking up, having breakfast and walking out the door, she does this a lot. Still, it is an immersive experience of sorts.

The Appeal from Janice Hallet was great and very funny, but the second one about Enid Blython was extremely boring, I couldn’t finish it. Will try the new one though.

by Anonymousreply 506October 10, 2023 8:22 PM

R505, I haven’t read that one but will add it to my list. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 507October 10, 2023 8:25 PM

Just bought THE APPEAL (put your ear plugs in, r504!) when I was in London where it's flaunted in the front of every bookstore and can't wait to read it.

by Anonymousreply 508October 11, 2023 1:09 AM

Vintage teen mysteries by Phyllis A. Whitney.

by Anonymousreply 509October 11, 2023 6:58 AM

I just finished The Running Grave by Robert Galbraith, it’s definitely the best of the Cormoran Strike books. It’s set in a cult, and if you had morbid curiosity about NXIVM or Scientology I definitely recommend it. You don’t need to read the previous ones.

JK Rowling wrote another brick, and it has many of her habits of over explaining, but this one ticks along very briskly in the scenes where the main female detective is undercover in the cult HQ, like a Harlan Coben or Lee Child.

by Anonymousreply 510October 11, 2023 7:58 AM

R509. I remember reading The Mystery of the Haunted Pool, which I bought through the Scholastic Book club, on a long family drive from Chicago to the UP one summer. It made no air conditioning, two chain-smoking parents, closed windows, and being stuck in the backseat with my sister and lummox of a brother bearable.

by Anonymousreply 511October 11, 2023 10:20 AM

I just finished An Artist of the Floating World, Kazuo Ishiguro’s second novel. I really love his writing.

by Anonymousreply 512October 11, 2023 2:57 PM

Yes, Christadora is a great novel. Makkai’s The Great Believers can’t compare. I actively disliked that one.

by Anonymousreply 513October 12, 2023 10:01 AM

Great Believers was fine, but it's typical when a frau writes about AIDS/gay men that a frau becomes the hero of the story. Wasn't the sister of one of the gay men the long-suffering hero? Gave up her life and sacrificed her relationship with her daughter to heroically care for all the gays dying of AIDS? That was what I remember from that book. And that it took place in Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 514October 12, 2023 4:04 PM

I remember being totally unconvinced by the gay sex scenes in The Great Believers (what few there were). They felt very obviously written by a straight woman. I remember having the same reaction when I read A Little Life.

by Anonymousreply 515October 12, 2023 4:25 PM

A friend of mine who is also a novelist (and successful at the same level as Makkai or even more so) told me Makkai is a monstrous person.

by Anonymousreply 516October 12, 2023 5:07 PM

Well, I, for one, LOVED The Great Believers, one of my all-time favorite novels.

Yale Tishman, the young art gallery curator at Northwestern U. was clearly, to me, the lead character. Of course, as Makkai is a woman, she would write the story from a woman's point of view and include strong female characters (including the wonderfully drawn old eccentric woman who had posed for Modigliani), but all of the men she writes about are heroes in the story. I loved the way Makkai brought all of the strands of the characters' lives together.

And I don't remember any sex scenes in it and that was just fine, I didn't miss them.

If you didn't like it, okay. But to those who've not read it, I'd strongly recommend this book. I avoided it for a long time, thinking I couldn't deal with another novel about AIDS, but this one was really special, as was Christodora, and I look forward to re-reading them both soon.

by Anonymousreply 517October 12, 2023 5:14 PM

That’s exactly the one I’m reading right now R511!

by Anonymousreply 518October 12, 2023 6:25 PM

What were the sex scenes in great believers? I don’t remember them.

In a little life, I remember them being painful and the bottom hated it. Was it something similar?

by Anonymousreply 519October 12, 2023 7:07 PM

R519, I only remember one where Yale gets fucked by that young art kid who, if I recall correctly, is the one who infects him with HIV.

by Anonymousreply 520October 12, 2023 7:24 PM

[quote]I just finished An Artist of the Floating World, Kazuo Ishiguro’s second novel. I really love his writing.

I adore him. I treasure each of his novels, even the much-maligned When We Were Orphans and the underappreciated The Unconsoled.

by Anonymousreply 521October 12, 2023 8:18 PM

After loving The Remains of the Day I have tried to read a few more of Ishiguro's novels but with little success. I couldn't finish An Artist of the Floating World and Klara and the Sun.

by Anonymousreply 522October 12, 2023 8:26 PM

R521, I read The Unconsoled last year and loved it. I’ve now read six of his eight novels.

by Anonymousreply 523October 12, 2023 8:38 PM

Never Let Me Go is one of my ten favorite novels. Ishiguro is so good with unreliable narrators.

by Anonymousreply 524October 12, 2023 9:17 PM

Love him, but can't abide The Buried Giant.

by Anonymousreply 525October 12, 2023 10:19 PM

I am reading the endless new biography of Elon Musk by Walter Isaacson,

by Anonymousreply 526October 12, 2023 10:20 PM

Someone recommended Steven Rowley’s novel “The Celebrants” but it was so pedestrian that I returned it after a hundred pages.

by Anonymousreply 527October 12, 2023 10:25 PM

Speaking of cisgender straight women writing about gay men, I just finished Meg Howrey’s THEY’RE GOING TO LOVE YOU and she hasn’t really budged me from that notion that they aren’t super great at it. The main gay couple never really comes alive on the page and felt thinly sketched in relation to their importance in the book’s plot. While the author’s extensive knowledge of the world of ballet was interesting, it felt a little too inside-baseball at times.

Not terrible, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to recommend it to anyone.

by Anonymousreply 528October 12, 2023 10:55 PM

r527, we read The Celebrants for our gay book club this summer. Didn't love it but came to appreciate it by the end and it did provide for some interesting conversation with the club boys.

This month's choice is Lie With Me by Philippe Besson (translated from the French by Molly Ringwald). I found it very slight.

Does anyone have any great recommendations for our next club read? I fear I may be chosen to come up with a title and I'd love to recommend something new I haven't already read. What are the hot gay novels for the fall?

by Anonymousreply 529October 12, 2023 11:03 PM

R528 I cut her more slack because at least she wrote about the perception of two gay men by a straight woman. It was all first person from the woman right?

What annoys me more is women writing in first person as gay men - especially when it’s all they write (that “a little life” author).

Anyone read “the wanderers” by chuck wendig?

by Anonymousreply 530October 12, 2023 11:12 PM

R526, any interesting revelations?

by Anonymousreply 531October 12, 2023 11:25 PM

A lesser-known novel about a gay man, written by a woman, that I think is exciting is Jane Hamilton’s The Short History of a Prince—I think it is still in print. It captures the particularly complex experience of a gay adolescent in pre-AIDS suburbia, and follows him into adulthood. It’s not as well known as The Book of Ruth or A Map of the World, but it should be.

by Anonymousreply 532October 12, 2023 11:54 PM

I mean excellent not exciting, but it is the latter as well.

by Anonymousreply 533October 13, 2023 12:01 AM

I liked The Short History of a Prince very much. Sweet read.

by Anonymousreply 534October 13, 2023 12:04 AM

Anyone a fan of S.A. Cosby? Just reading reviews of some of his crime thrillers on Amazon and they sound great. Might just go ahead and buy Razorblade Tears or Blacktop Wasteland.

by Anonymousreply 535October 13, 2023 12:05 AM

r529, earlier I recommended DISORDERLY MEN by Edward Cahill. Three strangers are arrested in a NYC gay bar in the early 60s. Each reacts to their homosexuality in a different way, and it's a granular look at pre-Stonewall mores. Each narrative is strong and there'd be a lot to discuss, especially if there's a mixture of ages in your group. Other hot gay books are IN MEMORIAM and COUNTRIES OF ORIGIN, neither of which Ive read yet, but both come highly recommended. Blessings on you for maintaining a reading club. Not an easy thing to do in my experience. :)

by Anonymousreply 536October 13, 2023 12:20 AM

Thanks for the recommendations, r536 and I will look into the two I don't know.

Personally, I did not like IN MEMORIAM, found it way too sentimental, and it was an instance in which I resented the story being told by a woman (whereas I'm the poster upthread who loved THE GREAT BELIEVERS).

Book clubs are hard! So many different opinions, even among good friends, on what constitutes a worthy read, and most of our selections have been a bit slight for my tastes.

by Anonymousreply 537October 13, 2023 3:59 AM

[quote] Great Believers was fine, but it's typical when a frau writes about AIDS/gay men that a frau becomes the hero of the story. Wasn't the sister of one of the gay men the long-suffering hero? Gave up her life and sacrificed her relationship with her daughter to heroically care for all the gays dying of AIDS? That was what I remember from that book. And that it took place in Chicago.

This is related to most of the reason I never fell for Longtime Companion every time it is held up as beatific perfection compared to the mainstream Philadelphia.

That reason is Mary Louise Parker’s titty. We didn’t need to see it. She didn’t need to flash anyone. But there she was, being edgy and sexualised and obviously not a sickly gay man.

by Anonymousreply 538October 13, 2023 5:23 AM

R524 talk Never Let Me Go to me. I though it was fine, but wasn’t obsessed.

by Anonymousreply 539October 13, 2023 5:24 AM

“Best men” was fun. Couldn’t get through Celebrants.

by Anonymousreply 540October 13, 2023 11:15 AM

r537, did you read THE NEW LIFE? Another book I loved.

by Anonymousreply 541October 13, 2023 12:29 PM

r541, yes, THE NEW LIFE was the first book our club chose. Probably the best in terms of conversation and discussion. I don't think anyone loved it but we all admired it very much.

by Anonymousreply 542October 13, 2023 2:06 PM

AFTER FRANCSCO by Brian Malloy was a highly enjoyable read, and a reminder of what it was like as the AIDS epidemic began to grip our community.

by Anonymousreply 543October 13, 2023 2:12 PM

I wouldn't exactly call it "enjoyable".

by Anonymousreply 544October 13, 2023 2:30 PM

I’m reading volume 2 of Ian Kershaw’s biography of Hitler, “Hitler: Nemesis, 1936-1945” and one thing that I find intriguing is a parallel between Hitler and Trump.

Hitler would hold forth about things he hated (especially the Jews) but he never once said or gave an explicit order to commit genocide. In fact, Goebbels said that Hitler was cordoned off from such specific genocidal decisionmaking to avoid culpability. But his followers and underlings would hear his ranting and go out on their own initiative to “right these wrongs.” Kristallnacht is one example, the final solution another.

It was called “working towards the Fuhrer.”

Note how Trump would say Mexican immigrants are rapists and drug dealers, democrats are the enemies of America, etc, and never explicitly call for violence against them — but knowing full well his incendiary slander would incentivize people toward violence. And it did.

by Anonymousreply 545October 13, 2023 3:00 PM

I forgot to mention the most glaring example of Trump’s use of this incendiary rhetoric for these “working towards the Fuhrer” purposes — January 6. Trump told the crowd to assemble due to this “injustice,” then whipped them up with a pack of lies and slander, then dropped in some veiled references to doing something about it and marching down to the capital building, knowing full well what was going to happen.

The trial due to this will no doubt be looking for a behind-the-scenes smoking gun, but make no mistake about it — like that other cynical manipulator of gullible people, Hitler, Trump was as good as telling the rioters what to do right up there on the podium.

by Anonymousreply 546October 13, 2023 9:00 PM

I’ve finished “Eugene Onegin” translated by Pushkin. I’m leery about translations because can you really get the full experience? I’ve read Constance Garnett’s Tolstoy’s translations and glad of them.

by Anonymousreply 547October 14, 2023 2:45 AM

The Pevear and Volokhonsky translations are highly rated. Just ask them. Seriously. About 10-15 years ago they used to haunt various blogs and message boards talking smack about their translation rivals.

by Anonymousreply 548October 14, 2023 9:55 AM

In the last few years, I've been seeing some backlash to Pevear and Volokhonsky. They used to be widely recommended, but it now seems as if there are as many naysayers as there are fans. I'm not knowledgeable enough about Russian translation to have an informed opinion, but I've enjoyed their versions that I've read.

by Anonymousreply 549October 14, 2023 12:10 PM

There’s been a lot of complaints about P and V from the beginning. NYRB did a side by side comparison of translations and there’s were laughably bad. A true tin ear or ears! They seem to have supplanted the work of earlier translators. The complaint about Garnett was that she made every Russian novel read like an 19th century English novel but I like those novels. .

by Anonymousreply 550October 14, 2023 10:46 PM

Smell my taint!

by Anonymousreply 551October 15, 2023 4:57 PM

I read "The Prodigy," by Amy Wallace, a biography of William James Sidis (1898-1944), a Boston boy who finished the 4-year high school curriculum in 6 weeks at age 8, and started at Harvard at age 11. Being in the media spotlight from an early age hindered his social development and exacerbated existing family tensions. As an adult he developed a fear and loathing of the press, which continued to publish sensational and intrusive stories about him, and in his forties he sued the "New Yorker" successfully for libel but unsuccessfully for violating his right of privacy, a landmark case. He tried to live anonymously in boarding houses and worked in low level clerical jobs, but his childhood celebrity was never forgotten for long. He became an obsessive collector of transit transfers at an early age, and eventually coined the term "peridromophile" to describe the hobby and published the book "Notes on the Collection of Transfers," which Wallace calls, "arguably the most boring book ever written." He became involved in radical politics, first as a socialist and later as a pacifist, and held a long but unrequited love for the suffragette and editor Martha Foley. He compartmentalized relations with friends and family, to the point where many assumed they were his only social contact, when, in fact, he had a wide and busy circle of friends centered on his various intellectual pursuits. Wallace's writing is basic, like a decent Wikipedia article or ungrad essay, but she did a lot of detailed research and has a very interesting story to tell.

by Anonymousreply 552October 16, 2023 1:46 AM

r489. I'm reading SHEEP'S CLOTHING now, based on your recommendation and really loving it. About 100 pages in and I have no idea where it's headed. Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 553October 22, 2023 2:29 AM

R553 YOU'RE MOST WELCOME.

by Anonymousreply 554October 22, 2023 1:06 PM

R552. Thanks for the recommendation. Finished Prodigy yesterday. Interesting, yes, and maybe his life was not quite as sad as it might seem, but still what an awful story.

by Anonymousreply 555October 22, 2023 3:28 PM

Fell in love with STILL LIFE by Sarah Winman. Swoonworthy prose and a valentine to Tuscany, visual arts, and EM Forster.

by Anonymousreply 556October 22, 2023 7:18 PM

Fell into a pond. Called Sarah a cunt flap. Shitworthy prose and a horse’s ass to Peoria, public aid and EL Hogg.

by Anonymousreply 557October 22, 2023 8:02 PM

Can you go do this shit somewhere else, R557? Fucking plebe.

by Anonymousreply 558October 22, 2023 8:04 PM

R558 Simmer your ass down!

by Anonymousreply 559October 22, 2023 8:06 PM

I banned that idiot months ago, r558. I suggest you do the same. No reason to have to put up with that.

by Anonymousreply 560October 22, 2023 8:10 PM

I just started Solenoid by the Romanian author Mircea Cartarescu. I've seen his name bandied about from time to time as a potential winner of the Nobel, and this book stood out to me when I looked into him. It's great so far! A surrealist journey into the mind of an intermediate school teacher in Bucharest.

by Anonymousreply 561October 22, 2023 8:36 PM

R560 lol

by Anonymousreply 562October 22, 2023 8:42 PM

R561 that book would be an excellent sleep remedy.

by Anonymousreply 563October 22, 2023 8:43 PM

The reason why I post is, to be perfectly honest, it gives me a tiny cheap thrill. I see those who appear to be all up in themselves with their noses buried deep, deep in their books. I like to misbehave and have fun by being ridiculously stupid. Sorry I offended anyone but I still get a charge out of the stuffy replies.

by Anonymousreply 564October 22, 2023 8:49 PM

R563: Well, different strokes. I'm finding it mysterious and strangely thrilling.

by Anonymousreply 565October 22, 2023 8:52 PM

R556, i have that on my shelf, good u liked it. I loved tin man.

I am resding Justine by the. marquis de sade. Never thought about reading until a podcast from The Rest is History made me curious. Still early pages but it is both philosophical and much perverse, also amusing for the many different ways the virtuous heroine refers to anal sex.

by Anonymousreply 566October 22, 2023 9:43 PM

Any nuns discharging like muskets yet, r566? Wait, that was Juliette.

by Anonymousreply 567October 23, 2023 2:51 PM

So, I finished SHEEP's CLOTHNG (1988) by British writer Celia Dale and highly recommend it if you're into nasty little period thrillers of suspense in the Patricia Highsmith/Ruth Rendell mold. I see Amazon has a couple more paperbacks for sale, I think they're on Kindle, too, and will eventually get them. A HELPING HAND and A DARK CORNER are the titles, one from the 60s and one from the 70s.

Thanks again to r489 for the original recommendation. I love these DL book threads!

by Anonymousreply 568October 23, 2023 3:28 PM

Blaaaaa I’m tired.

Read some Captain Underpants to me.

by Anonymousreply 569October 24, 2023 12:33 AM

More please!

by Anonymousreply 570October 24, 2023 1:12 AM

Make new friends but keep the old. One is silver the other gold.

by Anonymousreply 571October 24, 2023 1:24 AM

All the raves for Daniel Mason's NORTH WOOD has led me to his short stories, A REGISTRY OF MY PASSAGE ON THE EARTH. Three stories in and I'm impressed.

by Anonymousreply 572October 24, 2023 2:54 AM

A REGISTRY OF MY FECES PASSING THROUGH MY COLON

by Anonymousreply 573October 26, 2023 8:51 PM

ONE’S COMPANY by Ashley Hutson. A damaged, lonely woman wins the biggest lottery on record and then decides to use her winnings to recreate the entire “Three’s Company” set (the trio’s apt, the Ropers’ place, the Regal Beagle, etc.) and live inside them as each of the characters, isolating herself from the outside world. A unique, bizarre tale of trauma, obsession, and loneliness.

This was a great read that kept me guessing up until the end.

by Anonymousreply 574October 26, 2023 9:25 PM

Art Fart Shit Tit

by Anonymousreply 575October 28, 2023 3:20 PM

I am reading Paul Murray's THE BEE STING. Can't put it down - it's terrific.

by Anonymousreply 576October 28, 2023 4:54 PM

Tim O'Brien's "America Fantastica" is a hallucinatory trip through America, set in 2019. It's been described as a satire, but it hits far too many targets dead-on. Best book O'Brien has written in a long time.

by Anonymousreply 577October 28, 2023 9:30 PM

I am reading Paul Murray's THE BEASTY. Can't put it down - it's terrific

by Anonymousreply 578October 28, 2023 9:48 PM

I haven't read a Patrick Gale novel in years; a gay author who was an early favorite of mine going back to the early 1980s, but I'm quite enjoying his latest novel, MOTHER'S BOY. It's a fictionalized account of the gay Cornish poet Charles Causley, who was born during WWI and served in WWII.

Gale's early books were quite subversive but he's become rather sentimental as he's aged. Nevertheless, all DL sissies with a close relationship to their mothers will relate to this sweet tale.

by Anonymousreply 579October 29, 2023 3:02 PM

"Lady of the Army" No, it's not about anybody on DL or la Senatrice: he was AF.

Bio of Mrs. George S. Patton, the general's wife. The woman was a living saint as his wife and interesting in her own right: she never responded to General Marshall's condolence letter when Patton died and reading the draft of her unsent reply, perhaps it was for the best. Interesting, too, as apparently you didn't make it to General in the US Army back then without a wealthy wife to pay for the horses, houses, and all the entertaining required to advance her husband's career.

by Anonymousreply 580October 29, 2023 3:35 PM

Enjoying Rouge by Mona Awad.

by Anonymousreply 581October 30, 2023 12:29 AM

The Joy of Trash by Nathan Rabin

by Anonymousreply 582October 30, 2023 1:18 AM

Anderson Cooper's "The Astors." Pretty light going. It was closer to a long New Yorker article than a history book/biography of a once grand, then cursed, family. Glad it was from the library - I'd be pissed off if I'd paid for it. It's about what Anderson thinks of the name "Astor" as much as what they did. Mary Astor is included; the name related by scandal but not by blood. And the Astor Bar, one of NYC's late, great "sort-of" gay bars. One side of the room was gay, the other straight. Granted the Astors built the hotel but I doubt they knew the - by then pretty cynical - WW II vintage cigarette girl who'd seen it all and walked around with her tray whispering, "Cigars, cigarettes, hair pins, snoods..."

And Brooke Astor: she was the last of the American branch of the family by marriage for lots of money with no kids except her son Tony from her first marriage she didn't much like. And from Anderson's telling, she sounded like a royal bitch.

by Anonymousreply 583October 30, 2023 3:35 PM

Have you heard that Mimsie Starr/Just got pinched in the Astor Bar?

Well, did you evah!/ What a swell party this is!

by Anonymousreply 584October 30, 2023 4:15 PM

Yes, R584, he mentions it and the incongruity of having Crosby and Sinatra (two hets in bad hairpieces) singing it in "High Society."

by Anonymousreply 585October 30, 2023 4:19 PM

R584 I almost got pinched on my way to see my pain doctor this morning. My ass was going 95 mph on the interstate. Apple Maps alerted me to an upcoming speed trap via CarPlay. I slowed it down real fast!

by Anonymousreply 586October 30, 2023 6:29 PM

Where does he mention this?

by Anonymousreply 587October 30, 2023 10:11 PM

Pt 4

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 588November 1, 2023 11:19 PM

Pt 4

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 589November 1, 2023 11:19 PM

Pt 4

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 590November 1, 2023 11:19 PM

Pt 4

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 591November 1, 2023 11:19 PM

Pt4

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 592November 1, 2023 11:20 PM

Pt 4

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 593November 1, 2023 11:20 PM

Pt 4

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 594November 1, 2023 11:20 PM

Pt 4

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 595November 1, 2023 11:21 PM

Pt 4

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 596November 1, 2023 11:21 PM

What Books Are You Reading In 2023? Part 4

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 597November 1, 2023 11:22 PM

Suck my ass!

by Anonymousreply 598November 1, 2023 11:22 PM

What Books Are You Reading In 2023? Part 4

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 599November 1, 2023 11:23 PM

TTFN

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600November 1, 2023 11:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!