Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

THEATRE GOSSIP #539: The "Four Dataloungers in a Thread Bitching" Edition

Bitch a little, talk a little, bitch a little, talk a little, cheep cheep cheep, talk a lot, bitch a little more.

by Anonymousreply 600October 12, 2023 2:16 PM

Old thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 1, 2023 7:52 PM

So, OP...a continuation?

by Anonymousreply 2October 1, 2023 7:55 PM

[quote] I have almost no interest in Marvel movies, so I almost never see them -- but I am not a filmmaker. If I WERE a filmmaker, I would make it a point to see at least some Marvel movies if only to try to understand what it is about them that appeals to so many people. And if I couldn't understand that even after seeing several of those movies, that in itself would be a learning experience that would be extremely valuable to me as a filmmaker.

Do you ever get tired of trying to be Little Miss Perfect? The people in your life must find you exhausting to be around. I've only read a handful of your posts and I'm ready to push you off the top of a building.

by Anonymousreply 3October 1, 2023 8:00 PM

So typical, R3, The immaturity of your response is astounding. You were probably one of those kids who yelled out things like "So's your mother!" in grade school.

If you feel comfortable arguing that a filmmaker doesn't need to see one of THE most popular films of all time -- or that a musical theater writer doesn't need to see THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, even if they're sure they're going to hate it -- or etc., etc., then that's for you to say.

by Anonymousreply 4October 1, 2023 8:09 PM

No bootleg audios of Nicole's Norma yet?

by Anonymousreply 5October 1, 2023 8:09 PM

[quote]I'm honestly surprised some of you people can enjoy anything, the way you carry on here.

This is a Datalounge Theatre Gossip thread. We are not allowed to enjoy anything.

by Anonymousreply 6October 1, 2023 8:19 PM

From Scherzinger: This is our interpretation of the story. We’re telling it anew. It’s a modern-day setting not a period piece.

So when will the new Sunset be reviewed? It's been in performance for a week or so and unless it transfers it must close to make way for the Sarah Jessica Parkers turn in the saddle as their Plaza Suite opens at the Savoy Theatre mid Jan.

Were you already familiar with the story?

I knew that Glenn Close had won a Tony for it. I listened to her recording of it and also Patti LuPone’s, because I’m a massive fan of hers too. And then I watched the film and was like: “Yo Jamie, we’ve got to have a talk because I don’t know if I can do this!” He said: “Don’t watch the film! It has nothing to do with what we’re doing!” This is our interpretation of the story. We’re telling it anew. It’s a modern-day setting not a period piece. I’m working my ass off. I have bruises on my body in places I’ve never had them before.

How come you’re bruised?

This Norma’s dancing, darling. I’m bringing Scherzinger to the table. We’re going full Scherzy on this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 1, 2023 8:25 PM

I don’t want to weigh in on whether one should or should not see The Sound of Music, other than to note it is purposefully avoiding work that is a part of American culture. I had an ex who refused to watch Star Wars and another who wouldn’t watch Disney, and I knew they were just begging me to argue with them on it.

But The Sound of Music is one of the smartest adaptations of a Broadway show, one that is far from a classic onstage. The scenery is beautiful, Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer are great, and there is genuine sly humor throughout. It’s still The Sound of Music, but it’s about the best version of it there could have been.

by Anonymousreply 8October 1, 2023 8:31 PM

It also helps immeasurably to see it on the BIG screen, r8.

by Anonymousreply 9October 1, 2023 8:32 PM

I’ve seen the new Sunset Boulevard. I loved it, however, I like new interpretations and I also hadn’t seen Glenn, Betty, Patti or Elaine, so I don’t have a reference point

by Anonymousreply 10October 1, 2023 8:33 PM

R10, can you explain the modern day setting? Does it work? Why did you love it?

by Anonymousreply 11October 1, 2023 8:34 PM

[quote] It’s a modern-day setting not a period piece

So, what, they've dropped the entire silent-to-sound aspect?

by Anonymousreply 12October 1, 2023 8:36 PM

[quote] I had an ex who refused to watch Star Wars and another who wouldn’t watch Disney, and I knew they were just begging me to argue with them on it.

Or they just weren't interested in SW/Disney, but you're such an egotist that you had to make it about you

by Anonymousreply 13October 1, 2023 8:36 PM

Wouldn't someone serious about the art of making films watch The Sound of Music if only as part of their learning about the films of Robert Wise? Along with West Side Story, The Day the Earth Stood Still, and so many others.

by Anonymousreply 14October 1, 2023 8:57 PM

Not a good start to this thread.......

by Anonymousreply 15October 1, 2023 8:58 PM

So, completely related to theater, but a variety that does not include Patti, ALW, or Sondheim, I wish I were in NYC and could have attended the "Love Letters" performances down at Irish Repertory Theatre.

What fun to spend a couple of hours in the company of the actors and that AR Gurney script.

by Anonymousreply 16October 1, 2023 8:58 PM

R15 I can rekindle that near-thread killing tit-for-tat from late in #538. Is that a yes?

by Anonymousreply 17October 1, 2023 9:10 PM

Love the play R16, but haven't you seen it many, many times? What kept me from the Irish Rep was what kept me from returning to the recent Broadway production after I'd seen it once. Irish Rep's pairings were one actor I wanted to see with one actor I could care less about.

Was there ever another playwright greater than Gurney at writing subscriber-friendly, season-slot-filling plays that were completely benign, but made them feel like they'd seen something they could talk about at cocktails after or on the way home?

by Anonymousreply 18October 1, 2023 9:33 PM

[quote]I don’t want to weigh in on whether one should or should not see The Sound of Music, other than to note it is purposefully avoiding work that is a part of American culture. I had an ex who refused to watch Star Wars and another who wouldn’t watch Disney, and I knew they were just begging me to argue with them on it.

[quote]Wouldn't someone serious about the art of making films watch The Sound of Music if only as part of their learning about the films of Robert Wise? Along with West Side Story, The Day the Earth Stood Still, and so many others.

Exactly. If a general population person has no interest in seeing the opera CARMEN, that's fine. But if an opera critic or composer or anyone who claims to be interested in opera were to avoid seeing CARMEN, that would be pretentious and willfully ignorant.

by Anonymousreply 19October 1, 2023 9:52 PM

I thought his DOLL's HOUSE was silly and tedious. I can't imagine the same technique on SUNSET.

by Anonymousreply 20October 1, 2023 10:31 PM

The problem with the Brit musical theater directors lately is that they seem fully determined to take any joy or fun out of anything. They seem to think that a brick wall and shadowy lighting is more "cool" and "truthful." It's just dull. The one exception lately was Hytner's Guys & Dolls. Totally contemporary and completely wonderful. Give me more of that!

by Anonymousreply 21October 1, 2023 10:33 PM

Hytner...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 1, 2023 10:35 PM

The Bridge's Guys & Dolls is the very opposite of those other British musicals. It's entirely engaging, exuberant and joyous and thrilling to watched with an utterly enthralled audience.

And Andrew Richardson as Sky Masterson is to die for. A real man. He will be the next Hugh Jackman, only bigger, better and hotter. And younger.

by Anonymousreply 23October 1, 2023 10:41 PM

The only way it could be better is if it were GUYS & GUYS.

by Anonymousreply 24October 1, 2023 10:50 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 1, 2023 10:52 PM

[quote]From Scherzinger: This is our interpretation of the story. We’re telling it anew. It’s a modern-day setting not a period piece.

A modern-day setting for a musical about washed up silent movie actress?

"Our interpretation of the story" = twerking and and splits.

by Anonymousreply 26October 1, 2023 11:27 PM

Nothin' wrong with splits!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 1, 2023 11:39 PM

I'm trying to remember the non-Norma stuff. I think that would translate to contemporary all right.

by Anonymousreply 28October 1, 2023 11:41 PM

Anyone know what high school or college is performing this performance of TITANIC? Someone spent a lot of money on the video recording.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 1, 2023 11:49 PM

Eldergay here. While I don't want to get into the controversy over whether one should see THE SOUND OF MUSIC film, I want to share how popular it actually was. When I arrived at college in September of 1965, TSOM was playing at the local downtown cinema. When I graduated and left college in 1969, TSOM was still playing uninterrupted at the same cinema. Now that's a run!

by Anonymousreply 30October 1, 2023 11:53 PM

I'm the filmmaker poster from the previous thread and I can assure you that I am not willfully or stubbornly refusing to see the film. I simply have no interest in it. And I didn't bring it up to start an argument, as was suggested. I understand that the film is a classic and was very popular then and now. I'm not even criticizing it as a piece of filmmaking. (How could I?) I only brought it up as an example pertaining to the conversation going on.

by Anonymousreply 31October 1, 2023 11:57 PM

Fun fact: The Baroness launched the first incendiary at Dresden.

by Anonymousreply 32October 2, 2023 12:00 AM

Thank you for sharing, r31, now moving on...

by Anonymousreply 33October 2, 2023 12:00 AM

I regret to inform you...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 2, 2023 12:02 AM

One more thing, R33

Fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 35October 2, 2023 12:05 AM

Jesus Christ, OP! Nice job on starting the thread in the proper format in a timely manner, but you flung the door wide open for keeping the monkey shit-slinging from the last thread to resume.

R17 and r35 need to excuse themselves for the remainder of the thread.

by Anonymousreply 36October 2, 2023 12:41 AM

Hi just listened to the new Guys & Dolls recording. It does sound like everybody in. It is having a ball and yet still being faithful to the material. the sky Masterson sounds like Bobby Cannavale if he could sing. (Yes, I know he is in here we are)

Has there ever been a better 11 o’clock number than Sit Down, You’re Rockin’ the Boat?

by Anonymousreply 37October 2, 2023 12:47 AM

Geez,, r35, just trying to help.

by Anonymousreply 38October 2, 2023 12:48 AM

Gayster did an On The Twentieth Century Reunion. He also did a Follies reunion. Me and my big mouth......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 2, 2023 1:25 AM

Saw GOLDEN RAINBOW. The true takeaway is indeed the Pasak boy. Hope he can maintain a career without parents or management screwing him up. Not only can he sing, he can act at the sane time. So even if puberty takes his voice, he'll be ok.

by Anonymousreply 40October 2, 2023 1:26 AM

same time

by Anonymousreply 41October 2, 2023 1:27 AM

That’s a Broadway unicorn…haven’t seen one who could do both for a couple of decades.

by Anonymousreply 42October 2, 2023 1:32 AM

Four more weeks left of The Cottage. Seven more weeks left of The Shark Is Broken.

by Anonymousreply 43October 2, 2023 1:34 AM

I really want to see TSIB, thanks for the reminder, r43.

by Anonymousreply 44October 2, 2023 1:44 AM

I don't know how pieces of shit like The Cottage and The Shark Is Broken managed to run this long. WTF?

by Anonymousreply 45October 2, 2023 1:52 AM

[quote]Not having any desire (or need) to sit through The Sound of Music doesn't make me close-minded at all. I just have no interest in it. I don't care for the music, and the clips I've seen don't engage me.

Somehow pretending that TSoM is some niche hard-to-enjoy curiosity of a film is bizarre to me. Nobody has to love it, but is a charming, tuneful, well-crafted blockbuster, perhaps the biggest Hollywood hit between Ben Hur and Jaws. It's certainly worth a peek if not just to see what drew everyone in!

I do marvel at how joyless many young people are and how any sort of charm repels them.

by Anonymousreply 46October 2, 2023 1:53 AM

[Quote] I don't know how pieces of shit like The Cottage and The Shark Is Broken managed to run this long. WTF?

They will probably both do gangbusters in stock amateur and college

by Anonymousreply 47October 2, 2023 1:57 AM

[quote]I do marvel at how joyless many young people are and how any sort of charm repels them.

Because nothing is so joyful and charming as carrying on and ON about whether or not one poster wants to watch a movie.

by Anonymousreply 48October 2, 2023 2:01 AM

Sunset Boulevard is a derivative yet still dopey musical. It was never any good and I've seen it numerous times. I'm happy people enjoy it so much and find freshness in it because it certainly can use some!

by Anonymousreply 49October 2, 2023 2:02 AM

When I saw the London G&D "Sit Down..." got 3 justified encores! The audience went wild. I was sobbing from the first trumpet blast of the overture.

When will Here Lies Love post a closing notice so that G&D can announce their Broadway transfer?

by Anonymousreply 50October 2, 2023 2:22 AM

I'm surprised not to see from chat about Ja Ja's Hair Braiding, a very fun show at MTC's Broadway theater. My only problem with it was deciphering half of the dialogue through the thick African accents though I saw a very early preview and hopefully, they've straightened that issue out a bit. I expect it will get some rave reviews.

by Anonymousreply 51October 2, 2023 2:26 AM

R51, someone I work with was also telling me last week how great it is. I may try to get a ticket.

by Anonymousreply 52October 2, 2023 2:29 AM

Tickets are probably relatively cheap still, r52, so I'd buy before it opens. And don't sit too far back.

by Anonymousreply 53October 2, 2023 2:32 AM

r46 sticking with the strawmen then

by Anonymousreply 54October 2, 2023 2:34 AM

[quote]Sunset Boulevard is a derivative yet still dopey musical. It was never any good and I've seen it numerous times.

Flesh that out a little, R49.

by Anonymousreply 55October 2, 2023 2:40 AM

Ok, r55.

It's overly melodramatic rather than sharp and clever. It takes itself so seriously that it encouraged me to snicker...a lot. The music is repetitive and bombastic, and even the two pretty good songs have lousy lyrics. The book and score are not strong enough.

Norma is played like she was on The Carol Burnett Show as some semi-decrepit gargoyle, which of course Norma is not. Norma is barely fifty, not seventy. The original was overproduced yet still lacking in stagecraft - those car chase videos were sad and laughable. Everything seems like it is in bold AND italics and wears you out. It also makes the good source story just seem dopey, which it isn't.

by Anonymousreply 56October 2, 2023 2:51 AM

[quote]The one exception lately was Hytner's Guys & Dolls. Totally contemporary and completely wonderful. Give me more of that!

When you say "contemporary," what do you mean by that?

by Anonymousreply 57October 2, 2023 3:05 AM

R53, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 58October 2, 2023 3:13 AM

[quote]I don't know how pieces of shit like The Cottage and The Shark Is Broken managed to run this long. WTF?

[quote]They will probably both do gangbusters in stock amateur and college

r47 is correct, r45. In the case of TSiB, it's a combo of a well-being niche product in a small theater that is limited in the kinds of productions it can house. It's a pretty perfect fit, and its nut can't be very high (call it useless without 'em, but alas, I have no pics to offer).

It was worthwhile for the bragging rights, employed a bunch of people for a little longer than they expected it to. I'd say that it will run just the right amount of time. Also, as r47 said, business rights. It's now a Broadway show and can be marketed as such.

I mean, look at [titleofshow]. They were the little show that could. A very weird little show that pulled out all the stops on social media. They had a web show and I think they even rang the bell at the stock market. They'd go to the opening of an envelope it it got them press. Theater-nerdy, sappy stuff. It worked.

They likely did better than they expected to. Fulfilled their dreams of performing their little skit on Broadway. Got a Tony nomination. Rights to Mad-libs, high schools, college and regional theaters. Not enough to pay a mortgage, maybe, but probably enough to pay the electricity bill.

Call me cynical - or maybe naive, but sometimes that's all there is to it. It's a short term tax write-off bomb on Broadway, but a long-term low payoff in some form later.

Or it's a vanity project with deep pockets.

Think Soul Doctor.

by Anonymousreply 59October 2, 2023 3:48 AM

[quote]I'm trying to remember the non-Norma stuff. I think that would translate to contemporary all right.

Of course it wouldn't. Do you think Hollywood hasn't changed vastly between 1950 and 2023?

by Anonymousreply 60October 2, 2023 3:57 AM

Well, thanks for the visual of young adult actors from coast to coast getting to emulate The Shark Is Broken's speedo scene.

by Anonymousreply 61October 2, 2023 4:01 AM

Thanks for explaining further, R 31, but can you explain WHY you as a filmmaker have no interest in seeing a film that's a cultural icon, if only for historical interest?

by Anonymousreply 62October 2, 2023 4:01 AM

[quote]Saw GOLDEN RAINBOW. The true takeaway is indeed the Pasak boy. Hope he can maintain a career without parents or management screwing him up. Not only can he sing, he can act at the sane time. So even if puberty takes his voice, he'll be ok.

I agree, but his name is Pajak. Remember that name :-)

by Anonymousreply 63October 2, 2023 4:05 AM

[quote] Thanks for explaining further, R 31, but can you explain WHY you as a filmmaker have no interest in seeing a film that's a cultural icon, if only for historical interest?

I wish I could give you a concrete reason, something that would justify it to those who can't understand why. If I had to come up with a reason, perhaps it would be Julie Andrews? I've seen other musicals she's done and I've disliked nearly all of them. I can't believe she got an Oscar for Mary Poppins, which was interminable. But I don't actually dislike Julie Andrews. I thought she was great fun in S.O.B. and Victor/Victoria, and the movies of hers I didn't like were not necessarily because of her.

All I can say is it just doesn't interest me at all. And I can't even say it's the genre, because I've seen many musicals. Haven't liked them all, but have watched dozens. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to it.

I think this would make an interesting separate thread- what classic film have you never seen for no reason?

by Anonymousreply 64October 2, 2023 5:07 AM

That "Titanic" is no high school. It is an amazing production. Never saw the passengers enter thru the orchestra before, cool. The opening will never not be thrilling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65October 2, 2023 9:10 AM

[quote]I don't know how pieces of shit like The Cottage and The Shark Is Broken managed to run this long. WTF?

What, are such a sociopath that nobody can like something you don't?

by Anonymousreply 66October 2, 2023 9:46 AM

[quote]From Scherzinger: This is our interpretation of the story. We’re telling it anew. It’s a modern-day setting not a period piece.

So the great line "We taught the world new ways to dream" is meaningless now.

by Anonymousreply 67October 2, 2023 9:48 AM

R18... man, I think you're right. Gurney's work really did fill-out many a local equity season with a show that satisfied the subscriber base and entertained the single-ticket buyer.

Decades ago I know I enjoyed productions of The Dining Room and The Cocktail Hour. And later Sylvia (a clever premise) and then Love Letters.

He was prolific and I think he tried to write "weightier" works later in his career, but did any of them really click with audiences? I don't think so.

BTW - I love The Dining Room.

by Anonymousreply 68October 2, 2023 10:01 AM

For those who have seen the bridge Guys & Dolls, what is the point of the standing seats?

by Anonymousreply 69October 2, 2023 11:44 AM

The standees in some ways become part of the show and the crowds on the streets of NYC. You can still see as the scenes are played on platforms that elevate up a few feet.

by Anonymousreply 70October 2, 2023 12:57 PM

Thanks R34! I had read that before on here, but you gave me a chance to bookmark it. While I was wandering around the site I also found this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71October 2, 2023 12:58 PM

[quote]For those who have seen the bridge Guys & Dolls, what is the point of the standing seats?

Squueze in as many as possible at Premium Prices.

by Anonymousreply 72October 2, 2023 3:11 PM

So is "Merrily We Roll Along" a bona fide Broadway flop legend now a masterpiece?

by Anonymousreply 73October 2, 2023 3:13 PM

Oh for corn's sake, r31, in the time it's taken you to argue about TSOM, you could have watched it while folding the laundry or clipping your toenails. Then you could give a credible response to its value or lack thereof.

by Anonymousreply 74October 2, 2023 3:13 PM

[quote]For those who have seen the bridge Guys & Dolls, what is the point of the standing seats?

To accommodate any pantsless theatergoers. You never know when that lady from the Spirit Airlines flight might show up.

by Anonymousreply 75October 2, 2023 3:45 PM

[quote] Oh for corn's sake, [R31], in the time it's taken you to argue about TSOM, you could have watched it while folding the laundry or clipping your toenails. Then you could give a credible response to its value or lack thereof.

So the movie is only 15 minutes? I was under the impression it was closer to three hours.

by Anonymousreply 76October 2, 2023 4:14 PM

I went to London and saw

Old Friends

Sunset BLVD

Cabaret

I saw the NYTW Merrily in January.

I think the only thing I’m really missing out on right now is the Sweeney and I saw it 2006 with LuPone.

That and apparently the rapturous Guys & Dolls

by Anonymousreply 77October 2, 2023 4:36 PM

[quote]It was never any good and I've seen it numerous times.

The food there is terrible. Every mouthful is poison...and they give you such small portions!

by Anonymousreply 78October 2, 2023 4:46 PM

Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded.

by Anonymousreply 79October 2, 2023 4:51 PM

Sobbing from the first trumpet blast, R50? I’m sorry but even on here that deserves a Mary!

by Anonymousreply 80October 2, 2023 4:55 PM

Sondheimites: you can see MWRA for $77.00.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81October 2, 2023 5:11 PM

I saw OLD FRIENDS, the Sondheim revue in London last week and was really surprised by how much I loved it. We had a free slot and went to the Leicester Square TKTS booth in the hope of getting seats for the new Twiggy musical CLOSEUP at the Menier but it wasn't on offer and just kind of settled on OLD FRIENDS because nothing else interested us.

It was like watching a one night only starry benefit, very fresh and spontaneous and truly emotional performances, beautifully produced with minimal sets and costumes that are just the right touch. Bernadette was a little croaky hitting all her notes on her ballads but showed off great comedy chops as Mazeppa and then with all the other ladies doing a chorus line of Broadway Baby. Impossible to believe this woman is 75!

Lea Salonga was fabulous, stopping the show with A Little Priest and Everything's Coming Up Roses. Actually, all the women shine, especially Bonnie Langford and Janie Dee. And then there's the very hot Bradley Jaden as the sexiest (and bare chested) Wolf I've ever seen.

If you're in London, do catch it. Sadly, I don't think it's selling as well as Cameron thought it would.

by Anonymousreply 82October 2, 2023 6:30 PM

[quote] What, are such a sociopath that nobody can like something you don't?

I don't think the poster was commenting on TSIB and The Cottage being bad plays (even though both were universally panned) as much as the fact that neither show has been selling at all and he was wondering how they managed to run so long because of it.

I'm not quite sure how that translates to sociopathic behavior. But then the DL loves nothing more than hyperbole.

by Anonymousreply 83October 2, 2023 6:42 PM

[quote]Impossible to believe this woman is 75!

I know, r82, I saw her in June.

by Anonymousreply 84October 2, 2023 6:42 PM

R77 how many times are you going to post about your London trip? Asking for a friend.

by Anonymousreply 85October 2, 2023 6:57 PM

[Quote] Asking for a friend

Unlikely.

by Anonymousreply 86October 2, 2023 7:23 PM

[quote]And then there's the very hot Bradley Jaden as the sexiest (and bare chested) Wolf I've ever seen.

"Bradley Jaden" sounds like porn name.

by Anonymousreply 87October 2, 2023 7:39 PM

Jaden Bradley has a better flow.

by Anonymousreply 88October 2, 2023 7:50 PM

For whatever reason I found myself on Charles Strouse's Wikipedia page, and I had no idea he wrote so many flops!

by Anonymousreply 89October 2, 2023 8:22 PM

R89 - I know! I did the same thing a few weeks ago. It's a shame he hasn't really had a success since the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 90October 2, 2023 9:06 PM

Well, Strouse had one mega-hit (Annie) and two big hits (Bye Bye Birdie and Applause). Kander and Ebb’s record isn’t that much better (two mega-hits and one big hit).

by Anonymousreply 91October 2, 2023 9:26 PM

"Bradley Jaden" sounds like a porn name.

Well. that's good because he looks like a porn star.

by Anonymousreply 92October 2, 2023 9:32 PM

Kander and Ebb

Cabaret Chicago The Rink Kiss of the Spiderwoman Flora, the Red Menace Funny Lady 70 Girls, 70 Curtains

by Anonymousreply 93October 2, 2023 10:05 PM

And Steel Pier

by Anonymousreply 94October 2, 2023 10:45 PM

Comparing Kander & Ebb's Broadway credits to Strouse's is really an apples and oranges situation.

Strouse has had 3 big hits (BYE BYE BIRDIE, APPLAUSE and ANNIE) and 1 semi-hit (GOLDEN BOY), but no long Broadway runs -- originals or revivals -- since ANNIE, and any number of very short-running flops: ALL AMERICAN . . . IT'S A BIRD IT'S A PLANE IT'S SUPERMAN . . . A BROADWAY MUSICAL . . . CHARLEY AND ALGERNON . . . BRING BACK BIRDIE . . . DANCE A LITTLE CLOSER . . . MAYOR . . . RAGS . . . NICK AND NORA. No new Strouse score has been heard on Broadway since 1991.

Kander & Ebb, by contrast, have had fewer really short-running flops, and they've been spread out over a far longer span of time (FLORA THE RED MENACE . . . THE HAPPY TIME . . . 70 GIRLS 70 . . . THE RINK . . . STEEL PIER . . . THE SCOTTSBORO BOYS . . . THE VISIT). They've had more longer-running shows (CABARET . . . CHICAGO . . . WOMAN OF THE YEAR . . . KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN . . . CURTAINS), especially if you count their big revivals of CABARET and CHICAGO. Perhaps most significantly, Broadway has heard new Kander and Ebb scores every decade from the '60s through the 2010s, and Kander himself had new music on Broadway just this past season.

by Anonymousreply 95October 2, 2023 10:45 PM

[quote]That "Titanic" is no high school. It is an amazing production.

R65, I just found out that it is indeed a high school production. It was done by the King's Academy's Conservatory of the Arts, a private, Christian, coeducational, pre-kindergarten through grade twelve college-preparatory school located in West Palm Beach, Florida. This production ran from Feb 28 - March 9, 2019.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96October 2, 2023 11:51 PM

All of those good Christian thespians.

by Anonymousreply 97October 3, 2023 12:13 AM

That school has a weak school profile—not the best college matriculation. There’s a King’s Academy in the San Jose area that does much, much better.

by Anonymousreply 98October 3, 2023 1:51 AM

R29, that school doing Titanic is the King’s Academy, a Christian college prep school in West Palm Beach, FL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99October 3, 2023 1:56 AM

2019? I wonder how many of those fine Xtian boys have come out by now?

by Anonymousreply 100October 3, 2023 2:09 AM

Of Charles Strouse’s hits, Annie was massive - and still is. Bye Bye Birdie isn’t quite as huge, but it’s still popular 60 years later. Applause is pretty much forgotten. Three of his flops, Superman, Rags, and Nick & Nora, are admired for their scores. (Superman was a hit at Encores). Golden Boy is admired but not done much.

But Strouse has TV money from his work on scores and theme songs.

by Anonymousreply 101October 3, 2023 2:17 AM

SUPERMAN was hotly anticipated at Encores, but I think once people actually got a chance to see and hear the whole show, many of them realized the score is very spotty and the book is quite lousy.

by Anonymousreply 102October 3, 2023 2:40 AM

Who admires Nick & Nora's score, r101?

by Anonymousreply 103October 3, 2023 2:42 AM

All American? I and Albert? Bring Back Birdie?

by Anonymousreply 104October 3, 2023 2:42 AM

[quote]SUPERMAN was hotly anticipated at Encores, but I think once people actually got a chance to see and hear the whole show, many of them realized the score is very spotty and the book is quite lousy.

I saw the Encores production and was surprised how great the Superman score was and how kooky the plot was. I think since the big star of the original production, Jack Cassidy, was NOT playing Superman, the balance was off. Everyone still very much enjoyed the show and the production was excellent. I'm surprised the show isn't done more, it is a lot of fun.

by Anonymousreply 105October 3, 2023 2:51 AM

Bye Bye Birdie is actually now dead. High Schools have the Disney stuff now, and all the "Spanish Rose" jokes and the fact that kids no idea who Ed Sullivan, a phone with a chord, and network television is have left it in the dust.

by Anonymousreply 106October 3, 2023 2:55 AM

"a phone with a chord"

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 107October 3, 2023 3:30 AM

The chord is A flat minor, otherwise known as Kim McAfee

by Anonymousreply 108October 3, 2023 3:52 AM

[quote]SUPERMAN was hotly anticipated at Encores, but I think once people actually got a chance to see and hear the whole show, many of them realized the score is very spotty and the book is quite lousy.

It's nothing without me.

by Anonymousreply 109October 3, 2023 4:05 AM

Some of you recent posters need to learn:

1. How to use the quote function

2. How to double space between paragraphs

by Anonymousreply 110October 3, 2023 4:05 AM

[quote] Bye Bye Birdie is actually now dead. High Schools have the Disney stuff now, and all the "Spanish Rose" jokes and the fact that kids no idea who Ed Sullivan, a phone with a chord, and network television is have left it in the dust.

Also, there’s the whole creepiness factor of the basic premise.

by Anonymousreply 111October 3, 2023 4:24 AM

R105, I saw the Encores! production of "Superman" and completely agree... the score was terrific and the kooky plot fit the era.

Unfortunately, I don't think the economics/politics of B'way allow for a relatively small show - without a lot of special effects - or giant, moving set pieces - doesn't make a political point or focuses on past justices - and has a score that excludes a giant big-belt, 11 o'clock number can work.

by Anonymousreply 112October 3, 2023 9:41 AM

For those who know the show, any insight on why Superman and Lois Lane were sidelined for other characters?

by Anonymousreply 113October 3, 2023 11:22 AM

My guess is that the scoundrel reporter Jack Cassidy and the horny Linda Lavin (not to mention the mad scientest) were much more interesting than Clark/Superman and Lois. They certainly have the best songs.

I saw some concert version years ago with Cheyenne as Superman. It was great.

by Anonymousreply 114October 3, 2023 12:44 PM

[quote]I saw the Encores! production of "Superman" and completely agree... the score was terrific and the kooky plot fit the era.

I think there are a few great songs and lots of mediocre ones. And most of the plot is a silly bore, especially the part where the people of Metropolis turn on Superman for no reason that makes any sense. When Encores! did the show, there were all these high hopes for a Broadway transfer -- and then, as I noted, people actually saw the show and were rightly underwhelmed by it.

by Anonymousreply 115October 3, 2023 1:41 PM

In 2010, I saw a "revisal" of Superman in Dallas starring Matt Cavenaugh and Patrick Cassidy. It was mostly just boring.

by Anonymousreply 116October 3, 2023 2:22 PM

The OBCR of Superman is a prime example of a mediocre show leaving behind a great recording, thanks in large measure to the terrific orchestrations of Eddie Sauter. I can listen to the album much more often than many of the shows that are considered "hits."

by Anonymousreply 117October 3, 2023 2:24 PM

Did someone mention me?

by Anonymousreply 118October 3, 2023 2:26 PM

[quote]The OBCR of Superman is a prime example of a mediocre show leaving behind a great recording...

Hold my beer!

by Anonymousreply 119October 3, 2023 3:02 PM

Don't forget about us!!!

by Anonymousreply 120October 3, 2023 3:38 PM

[quote]Bye Bye Birdie is actually now dead. High Schools have the Disney stuff now, and all the "Spanish Rose" jokes and the fact that kids no idea who Ed Sullivan, a phone with a chord, and network television is have left it in the dust.

[quote]Also, there’s the whole creepiness factor of the basic premise.

Um, BYE BYE BIRDIE is currently popular with high schools. There are several productions annually across the country. Kids love the early '60s fashions/aesthetics and sound/music. Plus, it's a fun show.

by Anonymousreply 121October 3, 2023 4:11 PM

Speaking of King's Academy, they just did a production of Singin' in the Rain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122October 3, 2023 4:14 PM

When they did Hunchback of Notre Dame a few years ago, the kid who played 'Frollo' was very good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123October 3, 2023 4:14 PM

[quote] Some of you recent posters need to learn:

[quote] 1. How to use the quote function

[quote] 2. How to double space between paragraphs

3. How stop arguing back and forth

4 .STFU once you've made your (alleged) point.

by Anonymousreply 124October 3, 2023 5:05 PM

Wow Kimberly Akimbo outgrossed Here Lies Love Again.

by Anonymousreply 125October 3, 2023 5:06 PM

5. How to stop school-marming the thread like you're in charge, which is the most irritating of all.

by Anonymousreply 126October 3, 2023 5:07 PM

[quote]Bye Bye Birdie is actually now dead. High Schools have the Disney stuff now, and all the "Spanish Rose" jokes and the fact that kids no idea who Ed Sullivan, a phone with a chord, and network television is have left it in the dust. Also, there’s the whole creepiness factor of the basic premise.

What are you referring to in that last sentence? Do you mean the idea that Conrad Birdie is supposed to kiss Kim on national TV? It's only supposed to be a kiss, to be done as a publicity stunt. Where's the creepiness?

by Anonymousreply 127October 3, 2023 5:20 PM

R122 that’s supposed to be good? Her voice was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 128October 3, 2023 5:27 PM

" Bye Bye Bird-he" will NEVER be irrelevant, but a source of great joy and purpose in life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129October 3, 2023 5:57 PM

Going to see The Bridge Guys & Dolls again on Thursday. Don’t know who is currently playing Sky.

by Anonymousreply 130October 3, 2023 6:38 PM

Mufti needs to do The Rink next.

by Anonymousreply 131October 3, 2023 6:38 PM

I'm still available!

by Anonymousreply 132October 3, 2023 6:42 PM

Tonight is the opening of Old Friends!

by Anonymousreply 133October 3, 2023 6:59 PM

In Palm Springs, every night is the opening of old friends

by Anonymousreply 134October 3, 2023 7:05 PM

R129-Actually, that whole clip is "irrelevant" in any discussion of the actual BBB musical, since that song doesn't appear in the show and was written especially for the movie (unless I'm mistaken and it was cut from the original show).

In regard to SUPERMAN, I've never actually seen a performance of the show, but I do enjoy the OBCR. I did see the original Superman Bob Holliday on an old episode of "I've Got a Secret" where he was plugging the show (I think it's on YouTube). He came out in Superman drag and taught Steve Allen to fly.

He was the very definition of bland and boring. Wasn't there anyone else around with a little more pizzazz they could have cast? Also, leading lady Patricia Marand was another giant sleeping pill. So it would seem the leads were indeed overshadowed by the secondary characters.

Regarding DL super fave Ms. Lavin, I was never a fan of hers on "Alice". Thought she was totally miscast. Actually, on some other thread someone mentioned that she and other DL fave Bonnie Franklin should have switched roles. Not a bad idea.

Don't know if Bonnie would have done anything for "Alice", but I do believe Linda would have been more convincing as the more difficult, overbearing and slightly bitchy Ann Romano.

Getting back to Linda. I never tire of hearing her do "Possibilities" on the SUPERMAN album- I honestly don't think anyone else could even come close to doing it as brilliantly as she does it on that album.

Has she written her autobiography yet? If she ever does, she needs to call it "You've Got Possibilities".

by Anonymousreply 135October 3, 2023 7:21 PM

Dammit, Tommy just doesn't have the same ring to it.

by Anonymousreply 136October 3, 2023 7:27 PM

R130: Per the Bridge Theatre website Andrew Richardson is still playing Sky in G&D. Take notes and report back!

by Anonymousreply 137October 3, 2023 8:00 PM

Linda also owns Sondheim's "The Boy From . . ." from The Mad Show.

by Anonymousreply 138October 3, 2023 8:11 PM

R139-Actually Millicent Martin runs a pretty close second on the "Side by Side by Sondheim" album.

by Anonymousreply 139October 3, 2023 8:15 PM

Excuse me...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140October 3, 2023 8:16 PM

Will SLIH beat Sugar’s B’way run of 505 performances?

by Anonymousreply 141October 3, 2023 8:29 PM

Looks like SLIH will only have run for about 433 performances by the time it closes so, no.

by Anonymousreply 142October 3, 2023 8:31 PM

[quote][R129]-Actually, that whole clip is "irrelevant" in any discussion of the actual BBB musical, since that song doesn't appear in the show and was written especially for the movie (unless I'm mistaken and it was cut from the original show).

Fuck you, Broadway pedant! " Bye Bye Bird-he" is the greatest song ever written, better than any Sondheim garbage, and interpreted by the greatest showperson to ever grace the stage and screen. No wonder you have no friends.

by Anonymousreply 143October 3, 2023 8:31 PM

[quote]Wow Kimberly Akimbo outgrossed Here Lies Love Again.

$521,690 for Here Lies Love! And an eternity until Tony time.

by Anonymousreply 144October 3, 2023 9:08 PM

I just learned that Melissa Etheridge has a one-woman show on Broadway and it only grossed $179k last week?

I guess she's no Bruce Springsteen.

by Anonymousreply 145October 3, 2023 9:15 PM

[quote]In partnership with Gold House and The Asian American Foundation, Here Lies Love is aiming to raise $1 million in tax deductible donations to subsidize tickets to David Byrne and Fatboy Slim-penned Broadway musical through the month of October.

[quote]The initiative, honoring Filipino American Heritage Month, would grant ticket access to high school and college students, healthcare workers, service and municipal workers, community centers, and other non-profits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146October 3, 2023 9:15 PM

So now we're posting and comparing videos of high school musicals?

Where is the Theatre Gossip the thread title promises?

by Anonymousreply 147October 3, 2023 9:15 PM

Here Lies Love is now literally non-profit.

by Anonymousreply 148October 3, 2023 9:16 PM

Here Lies Love withers and dies on January 5th.

by Anonymousreply 149October 3, 2023 9:19 PM

Fuck. Even Gutenberg made $200,00 more than Here Lies Love.

by Anonymousreply 150October 3, 2023 9:38 PM

Mufti should do Over & Over/Skin of Our Teeth along with The Rink and maybe Flora or one of the others too. Leslie Kritzer as Liza in The Act.

Didn't they do Happy Time, Zorba, and 70 Girls previously?

by Anonymousreply 151October 3, 2023 9:39 PM

Zorba and 70 Girls were done by Encores! Not sure about Mufti. But Mufti did do the classic Bajour.

by Anonymousreply 152October 3, 2023 10:20 PM

Mariand Torres and DL fave Ramin Karimloo do "You've Got Possibilities." When I saw "Prince of Broadway," Michael Xavier played Clark/Superman, but I don't remember who played the Lavin part.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153October 3, 2023 10:37 PM

I still hear about productions of Bye Bye Birdie every year. This is the LA area.

by Anonymousreply 154October 4, 2023 12:29 AM

Isn't Leslie Kritzer closer to the mother's age in The Rink. I'd like to see her play that. Lili Cooper IS Angel!

by Anonymousreply 155October 4, 2023 12:35 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156October 4, 2023 12:36 AM

[quote] Also, leading lady Patricia Marand was another giant sleeping pill.

And she was the second one! She took over in Philadelphia when they fired Joan Hotchkis.

by Anonymousreply 157October 4, 2023 12:40 AM

Chita could still do The Rink!

by Anonymousreply 158October 4, 2023 1:33 AM

Why didn't they just cast Anita Gillette as Lois Lane?

by Anonymousreply 159October 4, 2023 2:01 AM

[quote] I just learned that Melissa Etheridge has a one-woman show on Broadway and it only grossed $179k last week?

You would think with all the pussy Melissa turned lez in her lifetime, they could at least fill the theater for a week.

by Anonymousreply 160October 4, 2023 2:22 AM

Here Lies Love may not make it until November with those grosses.

by Anonymousreply 161October 4, 2023 2:53 AM

NYT reviews "Jaja’s African Hair Braiding":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162October 4, 2023 2:57 AM

This has been available to Datalounge since 2016, and we're just discussing it now?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163October 4, 2023 2:59 AM

Who’s the best bottom on Broadway these days?

by Anonymousreply 164October 4, 2023 3:17 AM

Benjamin, Timothy, Joseph or Sam?

by Anonymousreply 165October 4, 2023 3:42 AM

black

by Anonymousreply 166October 4, 2023 3:46 AM

[quote]Who’s the best bottom on Broadway these days?

Is there a revival of "A Midsummer Night's Dream" in the offing?

by Anonymousreply 167October 4, 2023 4:00 AM

You DL "Theatah" cunts are exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 168October 4, 2023 4:03 AM

Oh, I dunno, I think we're a little better behaved right now. It's usually after the 300-post mark, when it seems like fights break out in an effort to speed things along to the next thread.

by Anonymousreply 169October 4, 2023 4:08 AM

[quote]You DL "Theatah" cunts are exhausting.

Uhhh, Ma'am...this is a Theatre Gossip thread.

by Anonymousreply 170October 4, 2023 4:16 AM

[quote]Where is the Theatre Gossip the thread title promises?

Where it always is: in the thread title.

by Anonymousreply 171October 4, 2023 8:06 AM

R158 didn’t Chita recently fall off the stage during a concert and not really been heard of since?

If she’s not available, gang, then I am!

I’m already off book!

by Anonymousreply 172October 4, 2023 11:54 AM

But this thread at least delivers remnants of the pointless bitchery of old... there's a very little brainpower behind the bawls and clawing, compared to gen pop out there. Still, most of it is unnecessary and a cry for help. Angry old people, hissing over obscure Golden Girls.

by Anonymousreply 173October 4, 2023 12:09 PM

R160 Melissa can’t even sell out 54 Below at 150 seats so it’s a real mystery as to why they thought she’d do well on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 174October 4, 2023 12:50 PM

Chita also recently got Covid.

by Anonymousreply 175October 4, 2023 1:52 PM

Saw Here We Are.

It's unfinished, and uneven, but probably as beautifully realized as this show will ever be. Elderly Sondheim is still better than everyone else.

One standout performance from David Hyde Pierce, who also has the best song. A nod to Rachel Bay Jones.

by Anonymousreply 176October 4, 2023 2:08 PM

The 2024 Tony Awards will be held at David H. Koch Theater in Lincoln Center.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177October 4, 2023 4:47 PM

They still do those?

by Anonymousreply 178October 4, 2023 5:12 PM

Excerpts from an almost unbelievable NYT story about her car accident that killed a pedestrian and the subsequent quest to get her a replacement vehicle.

A 2018 fatal car crash in Bogota, N.J., drew no media attention and resulted in no charges. Nadine Arslanian, who would soon marry Senator Robert Menendez, told a Bogota, N.J., police officer that the man she fatally struck with her car “jumped on my windshield.” It was a cold evening in December 2018, and Nadine Arslanian, the soon-to-be wife of Senator Robert Menendez, was zipping through the darkened streets of suburban New Jersey in a black Mercedes-Benz sedan. She would later tell the police she did not see the man stepping out in front of her to cross a busy thoroughfare.

The crash that ensued just after 7:30 p.m. killed the man, Richard Koop, 49, almost instantly. His body was thrown to the curb just steps from his home and badly mangled, according to the Bergen County medical examiner.After brief questioning, the police concluded that Ms. Menendez, who was alone in the vehicle, was “not at fault.” She was released without a summons. What happened that night in the borough of Bogota outside New York City was not reported for years, leaving witnesses and Mr. Koop’s family to wonder if the fatal collision was deliberately kept quiet. But now, nearly five years later, the episode adds a startling dimension to a scandal that has shaken American politics, and raised new questions about the senator at its center.

The revelation helps fill in an important narrative gap around one of the most blatant bribes alleged in a 39-page federal indictment unveiled last month against Ms. Menendez, her powerful husband and three businessmen. Prosecutors said in those charging papers that Ms. Menendez needed a car so badly after a December 2018 “accident” that the senator, a Democrat, was willing to try to suppress an unrelated criminal prosecution for a New Jersey businessman in exchange for a $60,000 Mercedes convertible. According to the indictment, Mr. Menendez agreed to call a senior prosecutor at the New Jersey attorney general’s office in late January to try to pressure him to go easy on an associate of New Jersey businessman Jose Uribe, in return, Uribe agreed to finance a car, prosecutors said.

“All is GREAT! I’m so excited to get a car next week. !!” Ms. Menendez texted a few days after the senator placed the call. In April, four months after Mr. Koop’s death, Ms. Menendez signed paperwork to purchase a new $60,000 Mercedes-Benz C-300 convertible. She told Mr. Uribe by text that she would “never forget this” and messaged Mr. Menendez to celebrate, too. “Congratulations mon amour de la vie,” Ms. Menendez wrote to Mr. Menendez, according to the indictment. “We are the proud owners of a 2019 Mercedes.”

by Anonymousreply 179October 4, 2023 5:32 PM

Are you lost, dear?

by Anonymousreply 180October 4, 2023 5:41 PM

At first glance, I thought Lindsay Mendez had gotten into a bit of trouble.

by Anonymousreply 181October 4, 2023 5:43 PM

Sorry!

by Anonymousreply 182October 4, 2023 5:50 PM

[quote]R179 being ushered out of the thread

AND DON'T COME BACK UNTIL YOU'RE A VIRGIN!

by Anonymousreply 183October 4, 2023 6:25 PM

So Chita:

Promoted a memoir

fell off a stage

Had Covid

And STILL makes more sense than Liza when speaking

by Anonymousreply 184October 4, 2023 6:29 PM

Has it ever come out why the Tonys moved from Radio City?

by Anonymousreply 185October 4, 2023 6:50 PM

That’s show biz!

by Anonymousreply 186October 4, 2023 7:04 PM

Because no one wants to attend them anymore.

by Anonymousreply 187October 4, 2023 7:11 PM

Muriel, can R179 please be banned for life? Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 188October 4, 2023 7:45 PM

Re: the movie of SOUND OF MUSIC

What I always thought of as R&H’s weakest stage show, with singing nuns and Nazi villains, not to mention a score derivative of their better work, shocked me in 1965 with just how skillful a movie was made from it.

Gone were the middle-aged leads. Stage sets gave way to postcard vistas. Excellent camera work and editing brought verve to simplistic songs, like “Doe a Deer.” The nuns still sang, but were less cutesy, with “My Favorite Things” transferred from a duet between the Mother Abbess and Maria to the way Maria calms the children. The Nazis were still villainous, but the movie was able to show more of them, a lot more.

The movie doesn’t try to be high art, but unpretentiously aims to be very entertaining, and it succeeds. In fact, it’s hard to visualize it as the stage show it originally was. I personally miss “No Way to Stop It” and “How Can Love Survive,” but can understand how neither song is really needed. And “An Ordinary Couple” is sweet, but stodgy, while “Something Good” is much more romantic.

The movie takes a stage show with limitations and creates the best film version of the material. I actually saw it a few times as a roadshow, and it held up very well.

What’s interesting about it is that Robert Wise only agreed to direct it for Fox, as long as they would agree to finance his pet project, the roadshow film version of “The Sand Pebbles” (1967), which was far more serious and thought-provoking, though hardly as successful financially.

by Anonymousreply 189October 4, 2023 7:48 PM

The Sound of Music? That's the one where the father fucks the babysitter? Is that right?

by Anonymousreply 190October 4, 2023 7:51 PM

THE SAND PEBBLES was the 4th highest-grossing film of 1966 and was nominated for 8 Oscars, including Best Picture.

by Anonymousreply 191October 4, 2023 7:55 PM

Great post, r189! You almost make me want to watch SOM again.

by Anonymousreply 192October 4, 2023 8:24 PM

[quote]The movie takes a stage show with limitations and creates the best film version of the material.

Yes, I suppose so R189.

But the star of the show, onstage or in the film, is usually Rolf's ass.

by Anonymousreply 193October 4, 2023 8:39 PM

Yeah, why do they always cast a Rolf with a nice ass?

by Anonymousreply 194October 4, 2023 9:02 PM

[quote]What I always thought of as R&H’s weakest stage show

Um, excuse me?

by Anonymousreply 195October 4, 2023 9:21 PM

There you are - now Rolf's ass is a great topic for the Theatre Thread.

And of course Rolf - Jon Voight - married Liesl - Lauri Peters.......she was obviously ass -ified.

"Telegram for Baron Von Trapp........."

Just the tip.

by Anonymousreply 196October 4, 2023 9:24 PM

Groban was out this afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 197October 4, 2023 9:42 PM

Lauri & Jon as Juliet and Romeo at the Old Globe in San Diego (1966). Sadly, no ass shots of Jon in his tights.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198October 4, 2023 9:47 PM

[quote]What I always thought of as R&H’s weakest stage show

[quote]Um, excuse me?

Ahem.

by Anonymousreply 199October 4, 2023 10:03 PM

[quote]Has it ever come out why the Tonys moved from Radio City?

The answer to all of those types of questions, including this one, is probably MONEY.

by Anonymousreply 200October 4, 2023 10:11 PM

[quote] What I always thought of as R&H’s weakest stage show, with singing nuns

And what's WRONG with singing nuns?

by Anonymousreply 201October 4, 2023 10:12 PM

r190=Maxwell Sheffield

by Anonymousreply 202October 4, 2023 10:13 PM

I saw a production of Allegro in Queens that really clarified that troubled show. It’s got a terrific score, and the complete studio recording with Audra is great. Pipe Dream’s book is a mess, but the score is pretty wonderful. Me & Juliet? There’s a reason why Encores never bothered with it, even when they were presenting Golden Age musicals. One memorable song that Rodgers recycled from Victory at Sea with awkward lyrics added by Hammerstein. “No other love have I” indeed.

by Anonymousreply 203October 4, 2023 10:39 PM

I had to look Lauri Peters up to see what she looked like because I would have sworn that photo at R198 was of Jon Voight and Genevieve Bujold. Peters is a dead ringer for her.

by Anonymousreply 204October 4, 2023 10:51 PM

Ben Rimalower’s newest episode of Into the Woods just dropped today with the stage manager. I think Betty Buckley turned him down to speak because he alluded to the fact that “unfortunately I haven’t spoken with her”

It’s surprising because she has spoken about her experience in the past…and he’s a diva worshipper…so it would be a generous audience.

It would be nice to have the final piece of the puzzle as to what happened with her in detail.

by Anonymousreply 205October 4, 2023 11:22 PM

I heard the stagehands were late with their cues for moving the scenery when Betty wasn't onstage. if you know what I mean.

by Anonymousreply 206October 4, 2023 11:34 PM

Say what you want about the TV version as a whole, this was perfect…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207October 5, 2023 12:06 AM

[quote]Actually, that whole clip is "irrelevant" in any discussion of the actual BBB musical, since that song doesn't appear in the show and was written especially for the movie (unless I'm mistaken and it was cut from the original show).

In the Broadway revival with Stamos they did the curtain call to "Bye Bye Birdie". It's too iconic now not to have it.

by Anonymousreply 208October 5, 2023 12:48 AM

Doesn't Rimalower have to nab Bernadette, too?

by Anonymousreply 209October 5, 2023 12:49 AM

[quote]What’s interesting about it is that Robert Wise only agreed to direct it for Fox, as long as they would agree to finance his pet project, the roadshow film version of “The Sand Pebbles” (1967), which was far more serious and thought-provoking, though hardly as successful financially.

Hollywood trivia, The Sand Pebbles” replaced "the Sound Of Music" Roadshow Engagement at The Rivoli Theatre on Broadway after 2 years and Wise wasn't happy and wanted Fox to open TSP somewhere else to continue TSOM.

by Anonymousreply 210October 5, 2023 12:53 AM

R209, considering Bernadette barely even speaks on the Sunday in the Park with George DVD commentary (most of it is Mandy Patinkin being an asshole), I doubt she'd be interested in a podcast episode.

by Anonymousreply 211October 5, 2023 1:14 AM

The podcast was clearly recorded outside of the release sequence and many months ago. There are references to the “current” Broadway production that closed in January. Some of the best interviews are from people you wouldn’t expect to be as interesting, like Pamela Winslow (Rapunzel) or Lauren Mitchell (Lucinda). Rimalower’s dorky fan-gay personality is growing on me. Kudos to him for taking this on.

by Anonymousreply 212October 5, 2023 1:24 AM

"theatuh" cunts? Is that what we're calling geriatric showtune queens catfighting over original cast albums?

by Anonymousreply 213October 5, 2023 1:29 AM

I think it’s funny that the stories he is most interested in are:

Patti’s audition and failed negotiations to play the Witch

Betty’s hire and fire

Bernadette being cast

And he has talked to 300 people and no one has said anything about those…and the 3 people who have the answers, won’t talk to him.

by Anonymousreply 214October 5, 2023 1:37 AM

R214, I believe both Betty and Patti have gone on record as to what happened with INTO THE WOODS, and as I recall, their stories aren't contradictory. I don't think Bernadette has spoken about it, but I could be wrong.

by Anonymousreply 215October 5, 2023 2:32 AM

[quote]Pipe Dream’s book is a mess, but the score is pretty wonderful.

Seriously? I think that score is about as close to shite as R&H ever came, with the possible exception of a few songs in ME & JULIET.

by Anonymousreply 216October 5, 2023 2:34 AM

[quote]I don't think Bernadette has spoken about it,

What's there to say? "Steve called me, asked if I could do it. I checked my schedule and told him sure, but for only this long."

by Anonymousreply 217October 5, 2023 2:35 AM

I think Bernadette stays away from drama. I don't think she has publicly ever said a negative thing about anyone.

by Anonymousreply 218October 5, 2023 2:37 AM

If nothing else, Pipe Dream has "The Next Time It Happens," but I'll admit that I prefer the interpolated version from the '96 State Fair. Me and Juliet at least has the fun of the '50s version of bitching about the current Broadway scene.

by Anonymousreply 219October 5, 2023 2:38 AM

Maybe it's just Andrea's performance ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220October 5, 2023 2:38 AM

These people ALL would be Dataloungers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221October 5, 2023 2:40 AM

Shirley was in the chorus.

by Anonymousreply 222October 5, 2023 2:41 AM

[quote]I think Bernadette stays away from drama. I don't think she has publicly ever said a negative thing about anyone.

A refreshing attitude to balance that of Ms. LuPone, who does pretty much the opposite.

by Anonymousreply 223October 5, 2023 2:53 AM

R223 Hi Sherie Rene! Welcome to Datalounge! We loved you in Everyday Rapture!

by Anonymousreply 224October 5, 2023 11:58 AM

Anyone read Charles Busch's memoir yet?

by Anonymousreply 225October 5, 2023 12:01 PM

[quote]Actually, that whole clip is "irrelevant" in any discussion of the actual BBB musical, since that song doesn't appear in the show and was written especially for the movie (unless I'm mistaken and it was cut from the original show).

3:36

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226October 5, 2023 12:21 PM

Just think. If PIPE DREAM had run longer, Shirley MacLaine might not have auditioned for THE PAJAMA GAME and the entire trajectory of her career would have changed.

by Anonymousreply 227October 5, 2023 12:46 PM

That TV version of the Bye Bye Birdie is illegitimate, they actually enunciate the d in BIRHIE.

by Anonymousreply 228October 5, 2023 1:01 PM

So did you, Ann.

by Anonymousreply 229October 5, 2023 1:03 PM

R226 now that is a great curtain call.

by Anonymousreply 230October 5, 2023 1:10 PM

I read the Busch memoir. Very entertaining, gossipy and well-written. Lots of great stories on Rivers, Rosie, Channing, etc. Who knew he had been a stripper and a call boy? But it raises a question for me of his legacy. His plays were effective for their time, but none has any longevity. Does his biggest hit, ALLERGIST'S WIFE, stand up to a revival? He made an impact by breaking barriers, no question, but his influence over the passage of time seems negligible.

by Anonymousreply 231October 5, 2023 2:00 PM

They've got a replacement lined up for A Beautiful Noise. I'm skeptical that it will last past Martin Luther King Day, but ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232October 5, 2023 2:10 PM

I'm glad they gave the role to the alternate instead of bringing someone else in.

by Anonymousreply 233October 5, 2023 2:41 PM

[quote]Hi Sherie Rene! Welcome to Datalounge! We loved you in Everyday Rapture!

Ha! As if Sheri Rene Scott is the only person to call out Patti LuPone for publicly talking or writing trash about a huge percentage of the people she has worked with over her entire career.

by Anonymousreply 234October 5, 2023 2:42 PM

I have no idea why this is true, but people are saying that A BEAUTIFUL NOISE has actually had an uptick in its box-office recently.

by Anonymousreply 235October 5, 2023 2:43 PM

Thanks R198 that's a nice picture.

by Anonymousreply 236October 5, 2023 3:19 PM

LOVE Charles Busch and his plays but I actually think VAMPIRE LESBIANS OF SODOM and PSYCHO BEACH PARTY are more revivable than the more commercially-minded THE ALLERGIST'S WIFE. Sadly though, I feel like young theatre people are not very aware of him or any of his plays. Or are they aware but just not into them? I don't think they're done much in colleges. Like Charles Ludlam, he's not getting much appreciation in his old age.

Nevertheless, I'm very eager to read his memoir.

by Anonymousreply 237October 5, 2023 3:23 PM

Busch played Marjorie on one of those Stars in the House readings during the pandemic with Linda Lavin as the mother. Very enjoyable but it's not one of his better plays.

by Anonymousreply 238October 5, 2023 3:27 PM

Angela and George's Sweeney Todd will be shown on TCM October 28th.

by Anonymousreply 239October 5, 2023 3:28 PM

I'm about halfway through Charles' memoir. It's a fun read- dishy and conversational. Not sure younger folk "get" him but I do think he will be remembered for being a groundbreaker as a performer and less so as a playwright, though I loved his earlier plays. I loved the drag queens of old - the gritty, somewhat tragic ones - they knew how to tell a story. The RuPaul ones are not to my taste. They feel overdone, way too commercial, and rather inauthentic.

by Anonymousreply 240October 5, 2023 3:30 PM

Has it ever come out why the Tonys moved from Radio City?

Yes. James Dolan is tearing it down to build a giant orb.

by Anonymousreply 241October 5, 2023 3:31 PM

Unfortunately, Busch's best acting work (on the stage) has disappeared. In the book, he talks of his long-term friendship with Lypsinka, another highly enjoyable performer whose best work is lost to history. He also credits Charles Ludlam as an inspiration, but his work was largely of its time, especially without Everett Quinton to carry on the tradition.

by Anonymousreply 242October 5, 2023 3:49 PM

[quote]Has it ever come out why the Tonys moved from Radio City?

[quote]The Tony Awards did not give a reason for the move, but it brings the awards show to a smaller venue. The United Palace, which hosts concerts, movie premieres and film shoots, has close to 3,400 seats to Radio City Music Hall’s more than 6,000. The theater opened in 1930 as one of Loew’s Wonder Theatres, showing movies and vaudeville performances.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243October 5, 2023 3:59 PM

I was unaware that Miss Joey Heatherton was in the OBC of The Sound of Music.

by Anonymousreply 244October 5, 2023 4:11 PM

Why were the Tonys uptown a "disaster?" Because of the car situation?

by Anonymousreply 245October 5, 2023 4:13 PM

The theater was sweltering, and the stage was small.

by Anonymousreply 246October 5, 2023 4:19 PM

And I wasn't nominated.

by Anonymousreply 247October 5, 2023 4:31 PM

[quote]The Tony Awards administration committee did not give a reason for the change in venue, but the Upper West Side location places the performing cast members closer to their theaters, which makes transportation for rehearsals and the broadcast easier than it was traveling to Washington Heights (which had been a source of frustration in June). It also gives attendees easier access to the after parties, which typically take place in midtown.

by Anonymousreply 248October 5, 2023 4:36 PM

I just moved and while I was packing, I went through some old Playbills. I realized I had an autographed Three Tall Women Playbill with only one signature, and it’s Allison Pill’s. Apparently she WAS signing Playbills that day. I immediately thought of these theater threads.

by Anonymousreply 249October 5, 2023 5:16 PM

I don’t see why it matters where the Tonys are held, since pretty much everybody just watches them from home. They can hold them at Don’t Tell Mama for all I care.

by Anonymousreply 250October 5, 2023 5:28 PM

One of my self-imposed pandemic-lockdown tasks was to wade through my two big boxes of Playbills (almost none autographed) and weed out the ones I didn't want. I probably got rid of half of them, mostly random symphony, ballet and opera programs. I was surprised by all the plays I'd completely forgotten I'd seen (I saw Jenny Agutter in a Pinter play in London? Really?). Of course, I kept things like original-cast Over Here!, Sweeney Todd, Dreamgirls, Ain't Misbehavin', Nicholas Nickleby, etc., etc., and Baryshnikov, Pavarotti, Itzhak Perlman, etc., etc. But the best part of going through the programs? The ads. Jeez, people smoked and drank a lot back then.

by Anonymousreply 251October 5, 2023 5:40 PM

In 2038 the Tony Awards ceremony will be held in Muriel's basement.

by Anonymousreply 252October 5, 2023 6:44 PM

If Rimalower says Into the Woods was a gateway drug one more time, I'm going to jump from my tower.

by Anonymousreply 253October 5, 2023 6:57 PM

From R243:

"The CBS show will be broadcast on June 16th, 2024, and is shaping up nicely this far in advance. Some of the featured shows will be “Here Lies Love,” a huge hit right now . . . "

by Anonymousreply 254October 5, 2023 6:59 PM

Debate over trigger warnings in theater. More " wokeism."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255October 5, 2023 7:05 PM

Neil Simon isn't all that revivable anymore, r231.

by Anonymousreply 256October 5, 2023 7:20 PM

[quote]another highly enjoyable performer whose best work is lost to history.

Hardly, r242.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257October 5, 2023 7:23 PM

Happy 100th birthday to Glynis Johns.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258October 5, 2023 7:31 PM

[quote] If Rimalower says Into the Woods was a gateway drug one more time, I'm going to jump from my tower.

Just try to avoid the patch of thorns this time, princeboy.

by Anonymousreply 259October 5, 2023 7:35 PM

Decades ago I was a member of The Fireside Theatre book club and purchased Four Plays by Charles Busch.

I read Psycho Beach Party and fell in love with the script and that the author's note stated the play could be performed without cross-gender casting (doubt he wrote "cross-gender").

I managed to put together a production of the show, ended up playing Star Cat (actor dropped out).

The show's a delight on stage, but would actors in their 20s understand how it's a cross between Gidget movies and the Sybil multiple personality story? I doubt it... and I doubt actors in their 20s would understand he reverance for actresses from the 1940s and his riff on "women's pictures." Unfortunate, but really just the passage of time.

by Anonymousreply 260October 5, 2023 7:35 PM

R251 you kept half of them?! Ugg

by Anonymousreply 261October 5, 2023 7:50 PM

I think better access to the post Tony fucking - I mean parties - would be a great ASSet. Thanks for cumming back downtown.

by Anonymousreply 262October 5, 2023 7:54 PM

Um —no any chorus boy worth his asscherks would prefer Dominican dick from WH over limp dick adjacent to Lincoln Center.

by Anonymousreply 263October 5, 2023 7:57 PM

cheeks 🤠

by Anonymousreply 264October 5, 2023 7:57 PM

Glynis Johns starred in a short-lived murder-mystery sitcom in 1963 called "Glynis." Her husband was played by hunky Keith Andes, Lucy's co-star in "Wildcat."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265October 5, 2023 8:51 PM

Brief as it is, that Showbiz911 article on the Tonys is a piece of crap, especially the line about how HERE LIES LOVE is "a huge hit right now." In what universe???

by Anonymousreply 266October 5, 2023 8:54 PM

It's the way people in NY speak. Haven' you heard Trump, R266?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267October 5, 2023 8:58 PM

Nope, r267. Trump speaks that way.

Not New Yorkers.

by Anonymousreply 268October 5, 2023 9:16 PM

[quote]post Tony fucking

This just reminds me of the fact that one year after the Tonys (the one he wore a skirt to) someone created a fake Andy Mientus profile on Grindr offering his hole to all comers and finishing with the line "yes I'm still wearing the dress"

It was only the fact it said dress and not skirt that made it sound fake

by Anonymousreply 269October 5, 2023 9:34 PM

[quote]Um —no any chorus boy worth his asscherks would prefer Dominican dick from WH over limp dick adjacent to Lincoln Center.

What does any of that mean?

by Anonymousreply 270October 5, 2023 9:53 PM

I think he means the big Dominican dicks at Mickey D’s in Washington Heights are far more appetizing than the ones at PJ Clark’s near Lincoln Center.

by Anonymousreply 271October 5, 2023 9:57 PM

Thank you R271

R270 needs to learn how to read a map of gay Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 272October 5, 2023 10:27 PM

Leslie out of Purlie tonite.

by Anonymousreply 273October 6, 2023 12:09 AM

Any recommendations for a great theater autobiography or bio or history? Just finished Not Since Carrie, The Season, Act One, the Mary Rodgers book, Hello Gorgeous blah blah blah…. How is Original Story By? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 274October 6, 2023 12:22 AM

R273

Wouldn’t you?

by Anonymousreply 275October 6, 2023 12:23 AM

The Busch memoir is delightful -- as a die-hard fan I was a bit worried that it would be largely retellings of stories I knew all too well, but there was new-to-me stuff throughout, and I loved the way that he structured it.

As for his plays, I'd say that the best-written of his movie send-ups is THE LADY IN QUESTION, and I'd put my money on it as most likely to be successfully revived without him -- it's really well constructed.

His follow-up to ALLERGIST'S WIFE (which was delicious in its original production but is hard to imagine being quite as wonderful without the amazing original cast) was a fascinating play mostly shrugged off by the critics -- OUR LEADING LADY, which imagines life backstage with Laura Keene right before and right after the Lincoln assassination. I thought it was terrific, and I'd love to see it again.

by Anonymousreply 276October 6, 2023 12:44 AM

R274 try Broadway in a Barn, No Pickle No Performance, Diary of a Mad Playwright, The Making of No No Nanette, Son of Any Wednesday, The Seesaw Log, About Those Roses, or Making It Big if you want an oldie but goodie backstage gossip book.

For theatre actor biographies and autobiographies, Brian Kellow's Merman book, Stevie Phillips' autobiography. There's a new Noel Coward bio called Masquerade, also John Lahr's Tennessee Williams bio, if you only ever read one of him, that'll do it.

For critical analysis, Ethan Mordden's musical theatre decades series 1920s-80s, the recent Meredith Willson analysis book The Big Parade, or Steven Suskin's Opening NIghts on Broadway (2 volumes) or Sound of Broadway orchestrations book. The best recent Rodgers and Hammerstein book is called Something Wonderful, Mordden's coffee table style R&H book has great text too.

Just a few that I return to again and again.

by Anonymousreply 277October 6, 2023 12:46 AM

R277 🙏🏼

by Anonymousreply 278October 6, 2023 12:55 AM

[quote]Glynis Johns starred in a short-lived murder-mystery sitcom in 1963 called "Glynis." Her husband was played by hunky Keith Andes, Lucy's co-star in "Wildcat."

Created by Jess Oppenheimer and produced by Desilu.

by Anonymousreply 279October 6, 2023 1:55 AM

[quote]As for his plays, I'd say that the best-written of his movie send-ups is THE LADY IN QUESTION,

That's the only one I saw with him in it, r276. I *loved* it. I still vividly remember Julie Halston hanged in the closet and the wonderful Andy Halliday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280October 6, 2023 1:57 AM

Official opening night for Sunset Boulevard was tonight. So would press night have been last night, with reviews embargoed? Or media tonight?

by Anonymousreply 281October 6, 2023 1:58 AM

I loved The Lady in Question but wouldn't an audience need to be somewhat familiar with those late Norma Shearer and Joan Crawford WWII films from MGM to appreciate the satire?

by Anonymousreply 282October 6, 2023 2:07 AM

The London "Sunset Boulevard" opens Oct. 12.

by Anonymousreply 283October 6, 2023 2:31 AM

Originally said Oct 5.

by Anonymousreply 284October 6, 2023 2:33 AM

[quote]Originally said Oct 5.

Maybe they needed more time to finish the sets.

by Anonymousreply 285October 6, 2023 3:16 AM

A *lot* of shows are of their time, r282.

by Anonymousreply 286October 6, 2023 4:00 AM

R274, the Broadway Nation podcast.

by Anonymousreply 287October 6, 2023 4:00 AM

[quote]How is Original Story By?

I just finished it today R274 and really liked it. I know Laurents is hated here on DL, but he had a very interesting life/career and seems pretty honest in recounting it. He doesn't pull many punches and there is lots of dish, along with a somewhat surprising focus on his life as a gay man.

by Anonymousreply 288October 6, 2023 5:10 AM

My takeaway from seeing Guys & Dolls again today is: never return to a show via a matinée performance.

I wanted to go to the evening performance but my friend, who is visiting from Oz, said she had dinner plans, etc. and asked if we could go to the matinee.

As I’m sure the folks at Here Lies Love are well aware of, on their box office death spiral: an immersively staged show needs an audience on the floor to make it immersive. It’s not like there’s an alternative staging available for when, like today at the Bridge, there was probably less than 20% of the floor filled and that was mostly with zombie-eyed tourists, school boys and stage hands. The cast did a good job of playing to these people, coaxing them out of their shells, but it takes what in the best of circumstances is an inventive, dynamic staging and makes it seem more like something in the tradition of panto. The cast made the best of it - I’m sure, not for the 1st time - but there was a certain shrillness to some performances as they tried to go full throttle to make up for the deficit of an actual audience, out for a good time and loosened up by drinks, pre-show. They also seemed to cut a lot of the encores, understandably.

The big difference for me this time was seeing Andrew Richardson as Sky, since I saw his understudy (1st cover), George (Yorgos) Ioannides in July. (Because of the press Richardson received when the show opened in March, I was vaguely aware that he was out and Ioannides had, at that time, been covering him for weeks.) I wasn’t impressed. While Richardson is a strapping specimen of a man, it’s kind of like watching the high school jock join the drama club. He’s only a passable singer with an airiness to his voice that never quite locates a rich, resonant centre which makes his tone seem kind of thin. And since he mostly seems to be in love with himself, his delivery lacks any of the romanticism the role requires - not just in his feelings for Sarah but in the romantic notion that, through love, a gambler can be transformed into a missionary. He also plays Sky as a “character”, thick with a “Sopranos”-type goombah-ism that, of course, seems completely put on and unappealing both as the character and an actor. It’s like he’s playing somebody on top of playing somebody, commenting on a character rather than playing one. He never embodies Sky Masterson in any way, like he’s holding the character away from himself, very much like how a closet case does, but not in a knowing way.

I don’t mean to suggest that Mr. Richardson himself is closeted - I know nothing about him - but there’s an unease and limitation to what he seems capable of giving of himself to the role that just suggests he’s performing on top of a performance, and neither one feels very authentic, and authenticity is primarily what is required for Sky Masterson, who stands above all of the other gamblers with not only his ease and charm but with his sense of self and capacity to love. You can’t play Sky, you have to be him.

By contrast, his cover, Ioannides, while tight and smaller in stature (like a young DeNiro) and appealingly swarthy, was all ease and self-confidence with a beautiful voice who invested himself in the songs as if they were dramatic, revealing performances particularly My Time of Day which, in his hands, seemed like an invitation to real intimacy and in Richardson’s hands just seemed like a song he’s supposed to sing at the end of Act 1 of Guys and Dolls. With Ioannides, you knew Sarah Brown didn’t stand a chance when Sky first walks into the mission - and the actress’ performance acknowledged that. With Richardson, you kind of felt she could do better and she knew it too.

(cont.)

by Anonymousreply 289October 6, 2023 6:07 AM

The biggest contrast was in the Havana scene where it’s now well known that Sky takes Sarah to a gay nightclub. With Ioannides, Sky was all confidence and at complete ease with himself, like he knew the best place to be and knew a good time (and maybe, on his own time, would allow himself to get carried away a bit). With Richardson, Sky seems gay like he’s kind of hoping Sarah won’t realise they’re at a gay bar and he can get what he really wants. This doesn’t exactly fuel the romance between Sarah and Sky, like it does with Ioannides when it’s all a big misunderstanding, and further deflates the romantic flourishes throughout the 2nd act (Sky paying Nathan, Sky departing the mission, etc., even his brief exchange with Miss Adelaide, the musical’s two protagonists who wear their hearts on their sleeves). Ioannides is a terrific actor and also a better dancer. Richardson brings brawn to the role, which is enough to get some people excited, but little else. (And who ever heard of a brawny, jock gambler anyway?)

I also saw Cedric Neal, this revival’s original Nicely-Nicely, who was terrific, of course; I hadn’t realised I’d seen his cover before. Since Clive Rowe delivered his Olivier award-winning performance in 1997 (and maybe even prior to that), it’s been the tradition in British revivals that Nicely-Nicely is played by a black actor, which is great. But there is something about a skinny, unassuming white guy getting up on a desk and bringing down the house - and I mean the ceiling - with a revival-house worthy delivery of this Shaker classic. Sometimes the unexpected thing is just more joyous and satisfying.

What is uncontested is that Marisha Wallace as Miss Adelaide is an ABSOLUTE STAR - she can play to ANY audience - and any NY transfer should absolutely include her. Bushel and a Peck is just the right side of sleazy, in this milieu, and the 2nd act opener, Take Back Your Mink, is an absolute showstopper. I almost wish I could return a 3rd time as Daniel Mays returns to the role of Nathan Detroit on the 16th and I suspect there is more fire in their pairing than with his replacement, who accounts for a lot of the shrillness alluded to earlier.

The thing about Guys and Dolls is that its 2nd act is as great as its 1st - a rarity in musical theatre, certainly as of late - so the Bridge cast ultimately delivers even on a matinee day with a nearly empty floor. Hytner should really do something before NY about the staging of Luck Be a Lady though which is restricted by the narrow platforms and is more blocked than choreographed. It’s a letdown. I remember in Michael Grandage’s production, with Ewan McGregor as Sky, it was much more of a Michael Kidd staging that seemed musical and in motion the whole time, as I recall it, complete with acrobatic gamblers. Hytner’s version is only lukewarm and lacks urgency and momentum. It’s like a bunch of guys standing around waiting for a dance rehearsal. If the platforms are restrictive, he needs to find a space in NY where he can open it out onto the floor. As is typical of British musical performers, the male dancing could use improvement before NY.

by Anonymousreply 290October 6, 2023 6:07 AM

[quote]Excellent camera work and editing brought verve to simplistic songs, like “Doe a Deer.”

Oh, DEER!

by Anonymousreply 291October 6, 2023 6:21 AM

R280, I forgot about "The Lady in Question"! Oh man, I read that years ago and laughed... and thanks for the photos from the production (those costumes are marvelous). Richard Kind was in the cast? That's just delicious to think about; he's so funny and I bet he was wonderful as a Nazi .

by Anonymousreply 292October 6, 2023 9:04 AM

I know what you mean, R282, but I don't think that that's necessary. Plenty of the humor derives from lines and situations that are funny in their own right. Recognizing the links to the movies you mention (don't forget NOTORIOUS) deepens the fun, of course.

I'd say the same about Charles Ludlam's brilliant THE MYSTERY OF IRMA VEP, which is uproarious even for an audience that hasn't seen (say) REBECCA.

by Anonymousreply 293October 6, 2023 11:03 AM

R292, the pictures on that page aren't all from the original production. Richard Kind was in the 2007 Sag Harbor revival whose credits appear at the bottom of the page; Busch and Halston recreated their roles with an otherwise new cast. Everyone was good in that production, but first among equals was Matt McGrath -- bone-chillingly brilliant as Lotte.

I wonder whether we'll ever find out what happened to McGrath vis-à-vis the Broadway BOYS IN THE BAND. (He stood by for Jim Parsons, then went on in previews when Parsons was injured, then disappeared from the cast. (IIRC, he even disappeared from the show's IBDB page for a while.)

by Anonymousreply 294October 6, 2023 11:10 AM

R294. I remember Parsons was injured at a Sat matinee and McGrath wasn't prepared to go on for the evening performance so it was cancelled. He went on Monday Eve and had to call for line several times. He understudied three roles and was replaced soon after that.

by Anonymousreply 295October 6, 2023 11:36 AM

Wondering if Busch's plays in which he played the female lead would work with a biological woman. Is it mandated that these roles must be played by a man?

by Anonymousreply 296October 6, 2023 12:34 PM

One of my favorite theater books is the little-known THE BIRTH OF SHYLOCK AND THE DEATH OF ZERO MOSTEL by Arnold Wesker. It's the first-hand account of the author's attempts to get his 1977 play (a reconstruction of Merchant of Venice) to Broadway after the death of its lead, Mostel. It's a gritty, gripping behind-the-scenes analysis of the glories and horrors of writing a play and seeing it to completion—including dealing with John Dexter. Wesker is a great writer and I devoured this book.

by Anonymousreply 297October 6, 2023 12:46 PM

R296. Well, the film of Psycho Beach Party starred Lauren Ambrose as Chicklet, the Busch role. It took some adjusting for me (I loved it onstage with Busch), but Ambrose brought a charm and ability to move into the alternate personalities that proved winning.

For the grand dame roles, someone like Kathleen Turner, who, in middle age SEEMED like a drag queen (didn’t she play Chandler’s father on Friends?), might have worked—her Beverly in Serial Mom showed her ability to walk the fine line between camp and “seriousness.” Are there others who could have done it?

by Anonymousreply 298October 6, 2023 12:52 PM

[quote]Brief as it is, that Showbiz911 article on the Tonys is a piece of crap, especially the line about how HERE LIES LOVE is "a huge hit right now." In what universe???

The same universe where 2500 seats is half of Radio City’s 6000 capacity.

I have the "Die, Mommie, Die!" DVD signed by Mr Busch when I met him at the Broadway Cares Equity Fights AIDS Annual Flea Market celebrity table.

by Anonymousreply 299October 6, 2023 1:07 PM

r290, I really appreciate your analysis and mostly agree with everything you said about the Bridge G&D and why I know not to return to see it again. The show is so joyous and exuberant but, for me anyway, not technically all that, and would be all the clearer on a second viewing. There's something about that Bridge space that contributes immeasurably to the viewing experience, which I first had watching their Julius Caesar (with Ben Whishaw as Brutus), which had a similar rising platform and moving audience concept. I also saw Ralph Fiennes in the Robert Moses play which had a conventional staging and it (and Fiennes) severely disappointed, though much of that was the play itself.

As for Andrew Richardson, who I adored, I also will admit to his various musical comedy shortcomings but his sex appeal and manly presence made up for any lack of singing talent. To be fair, I think you may have just caught him on a bad day (which you admit as far as the rest of the show) and perhaps he's too young and inexperienced (I think this is his first musical) to have the technique to sail through a lackluster audience. I thought the Sarah was dreadful, btw, and wigged and costumed very unflatteringly. What did you think of her?

I think Richardson will have a huge career in film with the occasional return to the stage, very much like Hugh Jackman. I can't imagine he's not being deluged with offers already and probably counting down the days before he can move on. That said, I hope he, at least, opens the show when it transfers to Broadway. I'll be content saying I saw him when he was first discovered.

by Anonymousreply 300October 6, 2023 1:28 PM

[quote]As I’m sure the folks at Here Lies Love are well aware of, on their box office death spiral: an immersively staged show needs an audience on the floor to make it immersive. It’s not like there’s an alternative staging available for when, like today at the Bridge, there was probably less than 20% of the floor filled and that was mostly with zombie-eyed tourists, school boys and stage hands. The cast did a good job of playing to these people, coaxing them out of their shells, but it takes what in the best of circumstances is an inventive, dynamic staging and makes it seem more like something in the tradition of panto. The cast made the best of it - I’m sure, not for the 1st time - but there was a certain shrillness to some performances as they tried to go full throttle to make up for the deficit of an actual audience, out for a good time and loosened up by drinks, pre-show.

To me, this sounds like good news. I have read and observed that there is a more and more of a trend lately towards "immersive" stagings of shows, with some form of "audience participation," and I pretty much hate that shit. Do your job, actors, and please let me just sit there and enjoy and respond WITHOUT participating and/or having to keep moving around as different scenes of the show are played in different spaces.

[quote]The big difference for me this time was seeing Andrew Richardson as Sky, since I saw his understudy (1st cover), George (Yorgos) Ioannides in July. (Because of the press Richardson received when the show opened in March, I was vaguely aware that he was out and Ioannides had, at that time, been covering him for weeks.) I wasn’t impressed. While Richardson is a strapping specimen of a man, it’s kind of like watching the high school jock join the drama club. He’s only a passable singer with an airiness to his voice that never quite locates a rich, resonant centre which makes his tone seem kind of thin. And since he mostly seems to be in love with himself, his delivery lacks any of the romanticism the role requires - not just in his feelings for Sarah but in the romantic notion that, through love, a gambler can be transformed into a missionary. He also plays Sky as a “character”, thick with a “Sopranos”-type goombah-ism that, of course, seems completely put on and unappealing both as the character and an actor. It’s like he’s playing somebody on top of playing somebody, commenting on a character rather than playing one......There’s an unease and limitation to what he seems capable of giving of himself to the role that just suggests he’s performing on top of a performance, and neither one feels very authentic, and authenticity is primarily what is required for Sky Masterson, who stands above all of the other gamblers with not only his ease and charm but with his sense of self and capacity to love. You can’t play Sky, you have to be him.

Maybe the unease comes solely from the fact that Richardson knows he's not doing a very good job with the Runyonesque New York accent, and also because he's aware that some people (you included) feel that he doesn't sing very well. On that note, should we all assume this is another case (see also Michael Hayden) where Nicholas Hytner has become enamored of an actor due to his "sex appeal" and "manly prescence" (in R300's words) and cast him in a role for which he's not really suited?

[quote]What is uncontested is that Marisha Wallace as Miss Adelaide is an ABSOLUTE STAR - she can play to ANY audience - and any NY transfer should absolutely include her. Bushel and a Peck is just the right side of sleazy, in this milieu, and the 2nd act opener, Take Back Your Mink, is an absolute showstopper. I almost wish I could return a 3rd time as Daniel Mays returns to the role of Nathan Detroit on the 16th and I suspect there is more fire in their pairing than with his replacement, who accounts for a lot of the shrillness alluded to earlier.

Not "uncontested." A friend of mine who saw the show found her performance extremely vulgar and overdone, and I think a lot of that comes across on the cast album.

by Anonymousreply 301October 6, 2023 2:30 PM

[quote]I also saw Cedric Neal, this revival’s original Nicely-Nicely, who was terrific, of course

I wonder if he'll come over with the show if it moves to New York, considering he's an American and already a member of Actor's Equity.

by Anonymousreply 302October 6, 2023 2:33 PM

[quote]What is uncontested is that Marisha Wallace as Miss Adelaide is an ABSOLUTE STAR

She's been one since The Bob Newhart Show.

by Anonymousreply 303October 6, 2023 3:05 PM

Is everything transferring from London?

I’ve heard rumors of

Old Friends

Sunset Blvd

La Cage Aux Folles

Guys & Dolls

by Anonymousreply 304October 6, 2023 3:12 PM

I enjoyed the staging for the Bridge G&D very much. But the rest of the show was not all that great for me. Maybe I've seen too many other better productions. Unfortunately, I saw the Adelaide understudy, who was good, but not a star. I loved Andrew Richardson until he opened his mouth to sing. Very disappointing. The Sarah was competent. But it was Daniel Mays who I absolutely detested. He was doing all this stuff, all these annoying mannerisms - it was the busiest fucking performance I've seen in eons. Dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 305October 6, 2023 3:13 PM

Thanks R305 for mentioning Daniel Mays. I won’t be returning to see him then.

I felt the same way about Sarah, she’s competent, at times inspired. She doesn’t exactly yearn for something more.

I think Adelaide really benefits from that staging because those Hot Box numbers are exactly what the immersive staging were made for, it’s when it really comes to life. And Marisha Wallace really is wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 306October 6, 2023 3:29 PM

Oh god, not another production of La Cage. Enough already.

by Anonymousreply 307October 6, 2023 3:53 PM

R3O4

Yes Andrew and Fergie are relocating to East 72nd street.

by Anonymousreply 308October 6, 2023 3:58 PM

The last thing we need is another revival of La Cage. Why? So Nick Westrate can hang out backstage with his bf and try to get noticed?

by Anonymousreply 309October 6, 2023 4:17 PM

Thanks for the reminder about The Making of No No Nanette - I just snagged a copy for $20. They usually go for upwards of $70.

by Anonymousreply 310October 6, 2023 4:26 PM

^^ there’s DL in a nutshell, right there at R310 ;)

by Anonymousreply 311October 6, 2023 4:34 PM

Here Lies Love is now selling value packs.

[quote]Here Lies Love has partnered with The Broadway Exchange for a first-of-its-kind digital ticketing loyalty program to reward fans who experience the show multiple times at the Broadway Theatre (1681 Broadway at 53rd Street), offering buyers unparalleled flexibility on dates, times, and seating options.

[quote]Beginning today, ticket buyers can purchase four-ticket packs which can be redeemed for any performance(s), within 48 hours of showtime, for either Dance Floor tickets or Mezzanine seating. Unlike traditional ticketing options, ticket buyers don't need to select their seats or dates when they buy these packs. They can choose when they want to go and where they want to be any time up to 48 hours before a show. The packs can be used any time until Tuesday, December 19 (excluding performances November 20-26).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312October 6, 2023 5:00 PM

R296 and R298, in the book of scripts I won, Busch is explicit that for Psycho BB, it's perfectly acceptable to cast women for women. In the original NYC production, Busch's understudy was a woman.

by Anonymousreply 313October 6, 2023 5:00 PM

... crap! I meant, "in the book of scripts I own," My proofing skills are not once they once were.

by Anonymousreply 314October 6, 2023 5:03 PM

Die...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315October 6, 2023 6:09 PM

Someone put HERE LIES LOVE out of its misery.

by Anonymousreply 316October 6, 2023 6:37 PM

As much as Busch says it's fine to cast women, something is missing when you cast true to gender (if that is even allowed to be said any more). I've seen it done. MAYBE if the women are outstanding - like Julie Halston - it would work. But those kind of dames are few and far between.

by Anonymousreply 317October 6, 2023 6:43 PM

David Byrne was promoting it on Late Night with Seth Meyers last night, so they're not ready to give up yet

by Anonymousreply 318October 6, 2023 6:44 PM

I’m sad for Here Lies Love. I thought it was absolutely fantastic at the Public.

by Anonymousreply 319October 6, 2023 7:08 PM

Can't imagine what could possibly cause the BO of Here Lies Love to catch fire at this stage.

by Anonymousreply 320October 6, 2023 7:20 PM

General non-theater audiences have no idea what Here Lies Love is about and the name Imelda Marcos really isn't an incentive. Who would want to "immerse" in that? And I don't think even David Byrne lovers can reconcile him to this all-Filipino project.

by Anonymousreply 321October 6, 2023 7:24 PM

So who is really going to be Sally in Cabaret in the Spring?

by Anonymousreply 322October 6, 2023 7:43 PM

Anita Gillette

by Anonymousreply 323October 6, 2023 7:45 PM

[quote]Yes Andrew and Fergie are relocating to East 72nd street.

We have a vacancy in our lovely brownstone at the bottom of the East River.

by Anonymousreply 324October 6, 2023 7:50 PM

The best part of " Die, Mommie, Die!" is Stark Sands' ass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325October 6, 2023 7:53 PM

R325

by Anonymousreply 326October 6, 2023 8:34 PM

R322. Lili Cooper will be Sally, of course!

by Anonymousreply 327October 6, 2023 9:33 PM

[Quote] should we all assume this is another case (see also Michael Hayden) where Nicholas Hytner has become enamored of an actor due to his "sex appeal" and "manly prescence"…and cast him in a role for which he's not really suited?

Whatever do you mean?

by Anonymousreply 328October 7, 2023 2:32 AM

My mom and I used to sing this together. Just out of nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 329October 7, 2023 4:18 AM

If you start watching this, you'll watch it until the end. A performer of true brilliance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330October 7, 2023 4:40 AM

You were right, r330. My heart aches that she stopped acting so young (relatively). I had no idea that she had such an extensive and far-reaching body of film and tv work.

by Anonymousreply 331October 7, 2023 6:54 AM

I think it was Barbara Harris who said that she only liked the process of putting on a play (i.e., rehearsals) because she loved discovering her character, but once the show was frozen she would lose all interest in the piece.

by Anonymousreply 332October 7, 2023 7:01 AM

Streisand said that too, R332. Apparently Streisand‘s lack of interest showed on stage during the long run of funny Girl. I wonder if Harris ever gave a bored performance on stage.

by Anonymousreply 333October 7, 2023 10:20 AM

And I'm here to defend NIck Hytner's casting couches,,,,er, I mean....choices!

by Anonymousreply 334October 7, 2023 1:00 PM

As a teen I had the great good fortune to see Streisand in FUNNY GIRL and Barbara Harris in ON A CLEAR DAY.... and THE APPLE TREE. Barbra walked through most of Act 1 until she got to "People" and then finally came alive for the rest of the show. My first witnessing of an actor "walking through" a performance before I even had a name for it.

But Barbara was a thorough delight and utterly spectacular in both of her Broadway appearances. Nothing bored pr tired about her. She had a whimsy and charm that BS could never achieve onstage or on film.

by Anonymousreply 335October 7, 2023 1:09 PM

Here Lies Love is unfortunately a bunch of empty calories. You are engaged as you watch, but you walk out carrying nothing. Gone in Jan....There's no reason to see this...You just don't connect.

by Anonymousreply 336October 7, 2023 1:34 PM

[quote]You are engaged as you watch

Unless you are in the rear mezzanine. The show does not land up there at all, in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 337October 7, 2023 1:36 PM

Audiences aren't paying to see you be bored on stage and without 'em you're just some bitch sitting at home getting your calls screened.

by Anonymousreply 338October 7, 2023 1:55 PM

Yes, Willy at R328, but I've always heard it was another member of the creative team of MISS SAIGON who pushed for your casting, and Hytner wasn't responsible for that one.

by Anonymousreply 339October 7, 2023 2:43 PM

[Quote] I've always heard it was another member of the creative team

Tease

by Anonymousreply 340October 7, 2023 3:02 PM

Actually, R340, I don't mean to tease, because I've heard from different sources that different people were responsible for that casting. Some say it was indeed the director, but some say it was the producer, and some say it was someone involved with the production in another capacity. So I really don't know :-)

by Anonymousreply 341October 7, 2023 3:10 PM

Cameron seems like too much of a control freak to allow anyone else to get away with that on one of his shows

by Anonymousreply 342October 7, 2023 3:15 PM

Good point, R342. But one of the other higher-ups on SAIGON had a rep for that sort of thing, whereas I'm not sure that Cameron ever did.

by Anonymousreply 343October 7, 2023 3:27 PM

"For my audition, I will be singing 'Doe A Deer' from 'Sound of Music.'"

"Next!"

by Anonymousreply 344October 7, 2023 3:48 PM

Tea with Janet Bread

by Anonymousreply 345October 7, 2023 3:56 PM

r343 *cough* Charlie Stemp *cough*

Guessing by higher ups we're talking about Richard Jay-Alexander? Cameron wasted no time sacking him once he realised what was going on at Les Mis, which is what makes me doubt he would've let him get away with it at Miss Saigon. At least, not for an opening cast anyway.

by Anonymousreply 346October 7, 2023 4:15 PM

[quote]Tea with Janet Bread

Maybe a friend of Sam and Janet Evening?

by Anonymousreply 347October 7, 2023 4:17 PM

Actually, I think her name is Jamin Bread, as in D. Jamin...

by Anonymousreply 348October 7, 2023 4:23 PM

Lots and lots of TDF dates for PURLIE.

by Anonymousreply 349October 7, 2023 5:15 PM

Glynis Johns interviewed about turning 100.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 350October 7, 2023 5:47 PM

Alan Alda, who was in the OBC of "Purlie Victorious" and is a producer of the revival, visits the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351October 7, 2023 5:49 PM

Alda looks good.

by Anonymousreply 352October 7, 2023 5:58 PM

I applaud the producers for giving us a production of Purlie Victorious, because it really is a lost play that rarely gets produced. We always complain about the same five play revivals happening in NYC (mostly all Tennessee Williams), so I wish people would go to support it. I'd love to see it if I was in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 353October 7, 2023 6:59 PM

I read an interview somewhere with Olivia Colman who also said she very much enjoyed rehearsing a play and far less so performing it nightly. (I don't know her, of course, but she doesn't seem like the type to walk through a performance even if she's not loving being there.)

by Anonymousreply 354October 7, 2023 7:09 PM

Is Coleman officially in Heartstopper or does she just wander onto the set every now and then to make herself a sandwich?

by Anonymousreply 355October 7, 2023 7:29 PM

I wonder if the top MISS SAIGON creative with the Willy hard-on could have been lyricist Richard Maltby? I worked with him decades ago, and though ostensibly straight, he definitely seemed more invested in the boys than the girls.

by Anonymousreply 356October 7, 2023 8:28 PM

Why the suspicion that Willy was hired for his looks and not his talent? Falk was quite good in MISS SAIGON. I wish he had done more Broadway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 357October 7, 2023 8:41 PM

[quote] I applaud the producers for giving us a production of Purlie Victorious, because it really is a lost play that rarely gets produced.

Purlie Victorious should have been done at one of the non-profits. It never had a chance commercially.

by Anonymousreply 358October 7, 2023 8:45 PM

Willy is perfectly fine. Doesn't need casting couch to get a part.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 359October 7, 2023 9:05 PM

[quote]Glynis Johns interviewed about turning 100.

So young.

by Anonymousreply 360October 7, 2023 9:12 PM

Re MISS SAIGON: My favorite 'Chris' is Will Chase. He was hot and masculine and believable as a US Marine. Also, great actor and singer.

I saw him and Lea Salonga on Broadway around 1999.

I'm glad they recorded the Manila production they did in 2000 (clip below).

I think they also closed the show on Broadway in 2001.

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if they had an affair after spending so much time being intimate with each other on that show. They had a lot of chemistry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 361October 7, 2023 9:23 PM

[quote]The last thing we need is another revival of La Cage. Why? So Nick Westrate can hang out backstage with his bf and try to get noticed?

I'd take revival of La Cage over another "Into the Woods", or any Sondheim dirge.

by Anonymousreply 362October 7, 2023 9:43 PM

[quote] I applaud the producers for giving us a production of Purlie Victorious, because it really is a lost play that rarely gets produced.

I'd applaud more if they had done "Purlie Victorious", in tandem with "Purlie" also with Leslie Odom Jr.

by Anonymousreply 363October 7, 2023 9:47 PM

I'm seeing Patti LuPone in Toronto in November. I hope she goes on the attack!

by Anonymousreply 364October 7, 2023 10:08 PM

R364 take a picture of her during the show or talk on your phone. That will be enough to get her to attack you.

by Anonymousreply 365October 7, 2023 10:12 PM

Zombie Jerry Herman chimes in at rr362.

by Anonymousreply 366October 7, 2023 10:12 PM

[quote]I'm seeing Patti LuPone in Toronto in November.

Toronto in November is a lousy play.

by Anonymousreply 367October 7, 2023 10:13 PM

R365, I'm sitting close to stage so I'm starting with my Glenn Close t-shirt, but that's good advice.

by Anonymousreply 368October 7, 2023 10:16 PM

[quote]Toronto in November is a lousy play.

It's also a lousy song.

by Anonymousreply 369October 7, 2023 11:29 PM

Where is Will Chase

by Anonymousreply 370October 7, 2023 11:30 PM

[quote]Toronto in November is a lousy play.

Is it a sequel to "April in Paris" or "Sunday in New York"?

by Anonymousreply 371October 7, 2023 11:34 PM

Will Chase looks like he would throw a good, hard fuck.

by Anonymousreply 372October 7, 2023 11:35 PM

R372. Looks can be deceiving

by Anonymousreply 373October 7, 2023 11:39 PM

I think "La Cage" is a pretty awful show. Everyone involved acted like they were really doing something far more important than a fluffy rather threadbare Jerry Herman show and the casting of George Hearn was a puzzling blunder. I have no idea what he was doing, or why.

Oh, it's also maudlin and unfunny, in case you wanted a second opinion!

by Anonymousreply 374October 7, 2023 11:41 PM

There was *nothing* threadbare about it, r374.

by Anonymousreply 375October 7, 2023 11:44 PM

I really disliked La Cage the first time I saw it. I thought it was stodgy and ill directed, and George Hearn was definitely miscast. I had a wonderful time at the first revival, which I saw at the Actors Fund Benefit. Gary Beach was wonderful and Robert Goulet was hilarious, even though he kept breaking. The audience didn't care and loved it. The 2nd revival was just okay, but still better than the original.

by Anonymousreply 376October 7, 2023 11:46 PM

[quote]Robert Goulet was hilarious, even though he kept breaking

Old bones do that.

by Anonymousreply 377October 7, 2023 11:53 PM

I had thought Will Chase was hot until I finally actually saw him onstage in that godawful Roundabout revival of Kiss Me Kate in which he looked rather scrawny and inept.

by Anonymousreply 378October 8, 2023 12:00 AM

[quote]There was *nothing* threadbare about it, [R374].

I guess you've never heard the score?

by Anonymousreply 379October 8, 2023 12:00 AM

It's a fine Jerry Herman score, r379. It might rank third in his big lady musicals, but it's certainly more tuneful than Sunday/Park/George.

by Anonymousreply 380October 8, 2023 12:09 AM

Dolly, Mame , Mack & Mabel are all far superior to La Cage. Hell, Milk & Honey is even more tuneful.

Not sure where Dear World figures in tho....

by Anonymousreply 381October 8, 2023 12:12 AM

You're entitled to your opinion, r381, but how many Broadway revivals have there been of Mame, Mack & Mabel, Dear World or Milk & Honey?

by Anonymousreply 382October 8, 2023 12:21 AM

[Quote] Sunday/Park/George

Honestly?

by Anonymousreply 383October 8, 2023 12:21 AM

In my opinion, r383.

by Anonymousreply 384October 8, 2023 12:24 AM

By the way, r383, I said "more tuneful" not "better.

by Anonymousreply 385October 8, 2023 12:27 AM

My favorite part of the original La Cage was Gene Barry's bio in the Playbill which mentioned his wife around 10 times. Got it, Gene, you're straight.

by Anonymousreply 386October 8, 2023 12:27 AM

Me too!

by Anonymousreply 387October 8, 2023 12:52 AM

R386, FUN FACT . . . Gene Barry’s wife of many years was the former Betty Kalb, a childhood and lifelong friend of Lauren Bacall.

The story Bacall told many times of an arranged meeting by her uncle with her idol Bette Davis in a NYC hotel when she was just a teenager accompanied by a girlfriend who was overcome with meeting Bette and fainted in the hallway, that girlfriend was Betty Kalb.

by Anonymousreply 388October 8, 2023 12:55 AM

Sounds like something a "Betty Kalb" would do.

by Anonymousreply 389October 8, 2023 12:59 AM

Gene had a small pecker.

by Anonymousreply 390October 8, 2023 1:46 AM

I attended the original La Cage with Hermione Gingold (really!) and she said Gene Barry was one of the dumbest men she'd ever met.

by Anonymousreply 391October 8, 2023 2:28 AM

Gene Barry was kind of an anomaly in his first starring role as Bat Masterson, a hugely popular 1950s TV Western. He played the character as almost effete, certainly not a lawman who'd ever get into a bar room brawl. And then in his next starring TV role as a private eye on Burke's Law he also never broke a sweat. Don't think he ever did a shirtless scene in either which was pretty de rigeur back in those days for hunks on the westerns and private eye shows. I guess that was his thing and he stuck to it.

by Anonymousreply 392October 8, 2023 2:35 AM

Gene Barry returned to La Cage later in the run (maybe when Bob Stack didn't work out), played one performance, had a heart attack and never returned. But he was in the audience for the final performance.

by Anonymousreply 393October 8, 2023 2:39 AM

Gene Barry starred in one of the early “Columbo” movies for television before it became a series.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 394October 8, 2023 3:03 AM

It’s called a pilot.

by Anonymousreply 395October 8, 2023 3:12 AM

Excuse me...ex-c-u-u-u-s-e me. *I'm* the victim here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 396October 8, 2023 3:25 AM

And you’re called a cunt, R395.

by Anonymousreply 397October 8, 2023 3:33 AM

[quote]Why the suspicion that Willy was hired for his looks and not his talent? Falk was quite good in MISS SAIGON. I wish he had done more Broadway.

No one said he was hired for his looks, but there was a rumor that he was cast because he was involved on some level with one of the producers or creatives, which is not the same thing. Also, we're not questioning his talent, but when the show opened, it seemed almost everyone felt he was miscast in terms of type. And indeed, all of the subsequent Broadway Chrises that I know of were very different in type from Willy Falk. For example, Sean McDermott, Matt Bogart, and that scorching hot if not very talented guy who played the part in the revival.

by Anonymousreply 398October 8, 2023 3:35 AM

Regarding Purlie, I know he won the Tony but I don't think Leslie Odom, Jr. is a box office draw. I read an interview about the film of HAMILTON that got sold to Disney and he talked about the fact that he held it up until he got paid what Aaron Tveit got for the live GREASE. He said something like "pay me what that white boy got for GREASE." But GREASE was network TV and Aaron (I think) is a much bigger box office draw. I have friends who lose their mind to see him in anything- in Moulin Rouge, in a cabaret show, in an out-of-town regional theater show, etc. I don't think Leslie has that kind of following, even if he is doing a lot of TV lately. I guess good for him for asking and getting a much bigger paycheck than they were offering him but I don't know anyone who was rushing to see Purlie because he was in it.

by Anonymousreply 399October 8, 2023 3:40 AM

“that scorching hot if not very talented guy who played the part in the revival.“

Who?

by Anonymousreply 400October 8, 2023 3:40 AM

[quote]Regarding Purlie, I know he won the Tony but I don't think Leslie Odom, Jr. is a box office draw. I read an interview about the film of HAMILTON that got sold to Disney and he talked about the fact that he held it up until he got paid what Aaron Tveit got for the live GREASE. He said something like "pay me what that white boy got for GREASE."

Why on earth would he have compared his role in HAMILTON to Aaron Tveit's role in GREASE specifically, of all roles?

by Anonymousreply 401October 8, 2023 3:47 AM

R400, Google is your friend. Also ibdb.com. Anyway, he's a Brit named Alistar Brammer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 402October 8, 2023 3:49 AM

Leslie Odom has a misshapen scrotum.

by Anonymousreply 403October 8, 2023 3:55 AM

Leslie Scrodom Jr.

by Anonymousreply 404October 8, 2023 3:59 AM

I'm sure it's been talked about before, but how was Van Johnson in La Cage aux Folles? And if we had to have a new revival, who would you cast?

by Anonymousreply 405October 8, 2023 4:05 AM

Josh Gad & Andrew Rannells, R405.

by Anonymousreply 406October 8, 2023 4:06 AM

R405, Hugh Jackman and Ryan Reynolds

by Anonymousreply 407October 8, 2023 4:07 AM

Sunday/Park/George sounds like a title for a shitty new play with 3 actors and a chair.

by Anonymousreply 408October 8, 2023 4:22 AM

I saw Van Johnson in La Cage. He was quite charming but his singing was so bad he had audience members giggling. He massacred Song on the Sand. Keith Michel was perfection as Georges.

by Anonymousreply 409October 8, 2023 4:30 AM

Hi, Felicia...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 410October 8, 2023 4:42 AM

R409, Van must have butchered “Trouble” when he starred in The Music Man in London.

by Anonymousreply 411October 8, 2023 9:26 AM

[quote] Van must have butchered “Trouble” when he starred in The Music Man in London.

Judge for yourself. He's more effortful than Robert Preston, but it's not a washout either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 412October 8, 2023 10:30 AM

I didn’t get the memo that Karen Olivo now goes by KO?

Insufferable and exhausting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 413October 8, 2023 11:30 AM

R413, It’s short for Kaopectate.

by Anonymousreply 414October 8, 2023 11:33 AM

R413. Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 415October 8, 2023 11:35 AM

How many times has Ms. KO retired and forsaken the stage, only to return? I thought she said she was happy making pottery in Michigan or some such nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 416October 8, 2023 11:36 AM

Anyone eager for How/Dance/Ohio, Prayer/French/Republic or Water/Elephants?

by Anonymousreply 417October 8, 2023 2:22 PM

(r380, that was for you, ya douchebag)

by Anonymousreply 418October 8, 2023 2:22 PM

Does Miss Olivo fancy herself a KNOCKOUT?

by Anonymousreply 419October 8, 2023 2:30 PM

[quote]I didn’t get the memo that Karen Olivo now goes by KO?

[quote]Insufferable and exhausting.

Many actors are insufferable and pretentious and histrionic and self-absorbed.

I could never be friends with one.

by Anonymousreply 420October 8, 2023 2:39 PM

Actors everywhere let out a sigh of relief

by Anonymousreply 421October 8, 2023 2:41 PM

You choose to get upset over the most trivial things, r418. Go out and get some fresh air.

by Anonymousreply 422October 8, 2023 3:21 PM

Speaking of La Cage, whatever happened to the talentless kid (unless fucking Arthur Laurents counts) who played Jean-Michel? He did one Broadway show and disappeared? He's going to be 70. Is he selling used cars with Matt Canenaugh somewhere?

Calling John Weiner.....

by Anonymousreply 423October 8, 2023 4:15 PM

^Cavenaugh

by Anonymousreply 424October 8, 2023 4:36 PM

R423, I have no idea what he's doing now, assuming he's still living. I've always assumed that, immediately after LA CAGE, he slipped back into the obscurity he so richly deserved.

by Anonymousreply 425October 8, 2023 4:46 PM

R423. Peter Reardon who played JM on tour and later on Broadway was a hottie. Weiner was meh.

by Anonymousreply 426October 8, 2023 4:47 PM

"KO" is talented enough but why anyone keeps hiring them is a mystery to me. All they do is complain afterwards about how racist/micro-aggressive/abusive/INSERT RANDOM COMPLAINT HERE everyone was to them and how bad every single theater experience was for their mental health. The cast at Moulin Rouge, who were working equally as hard as KO, were so sick of it.

by Anonymousreply 427October 8, 2023 5:08 PM

I don't agree with your phrasing, R427. "KO" is nowhere near "talented enough" to make it worthwhile for any producers, directors, et al. to overlook her rage-filled, mentally and emotionally unstable behavior.

by Anonymousreply 428October 8, 2023 5:36 PM

and everyone at Moulin Rouge was actually working [Italic] harder [/italic] than KO, because she’s the only one who didn’t have to lift her.

by Anonymousreply 429October 8, 2023 6:48 PM

OK, probably should have been “they’re only one who didn’t have to lift them,” but that makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 430October 8, 2023 6:49 PM

[quote]...but how many Broadway revivals have there been of Mame, Mack & Mabel, Dear World or Milk & Honey?

Both revivals of "La Cage" lost their shirts. One ran a bit, but both were financial failures.

by Anonymousreply 431October 8, 2023 7:25 PM

So, r431?

by Anonymousreply 432October 8, 2023 7:26 PM

It's interesting to read that Goulet kept cracking up during La Cage because he did the same thing when I saw Moon Over Buffalo. Poor Lynn Redgrave looked mortified and the audience was not laughing along with him.

by Anonymousreply 433October 8, 2023 7:34 PM

Does "KO" mean to indicate "non-binary" for her?

If so...INSUFFERABLE!

I blame the people for hiring her.

by Anonymousreply 434October 8, 2023 7:40 PM

That’s interesting??

by Anonymousreply 435October 8, 2023 8:06 PM

The cracking up is planned; it always is.

by Anonymousreply 436October 8, 2023 8:15 PM

R433, Raquel Welch cracked up several times when I saw her on Broadway in Woman of the Year.

She also stopped a song and had the orchestra start over when she screwed up the lyrics,

by Anonymousreply 437October 8, 2023 8:16 PM

Goulet definitely didn't plan breaking up in La Cage. He just looked like he was a bit lost at times, but still having a great time. (and it was a very receptive Actors Fund audience) Now, the recent Music Man... that's another story.

by Anonymousreply 438October 8, 2023 8:23 PM

And Mr. Goulet drank a little

by Anonymousreply 439October 8, 2023 8:37 PM

Gavyn Creel stops himself from telling “times when Bob went up” stories in some interview with that creepy dude from broadway.com.

by Anonymousreply 440October 8, 2023 9:10 PM

R439. I'll say

by Anonymousreply 441October 8, 2023 9:21 PM

Where is Gavin these days, now that the Into the Woods tour is over? Is he still going to do his Met Museum show?

by Anonymousreply 442October 9, 2023 12:34 AM

Yes, it begins performances next month.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 443October 9, 2023 12:39 AM

In the other black girl, Eric, McCormack is a villain who changes his very overdone eyeglasses in every episode. I wonder if it is a spoof of Tom Schumacher

by Anonymousreply 444October 9, 2023 12:55 AM

What is the other black girl, Eric, McCormack is a villain?

by Anonymousreply 445October 9, 2023 1:10 AM

Every Single Day from the Barry Manilow musical HARMONY.

Nice song. Reminds me a bit of the Sondheim tune Take Me To The World.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 446October 9, 2023 1:19 AM

╱▔▔▔▔▔╲⠀⠀⠀ ⠀╱⠀⠀╱▔╲╲╲▏⠀⠀⠀ ╱⠀⠀╱━╱▔▔▔▔▔╲━╮⠀⠀ ▏⠀▕┃▕╱▔╲╱▔╲▕╮┃⠀⠀ ▏⠀▕╰━▏▊▕▕▋▕▕━╯⠀⠀ ╲⠀⠀╲╱▔╭╮▔▔┳╲╲⠀⠀⠀ ⠀╲⠀⠀▏╭━━━━╯▕▕⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀╲⠀╲▂▂▂▂▂▂╱╱⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀▏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀╲⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀▏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀▕╲⠀⠀╲ ⠀╱▔╲▏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀▕╱▔╲▕ ⠀▏ ⠀⠀⠀╰⠀⠀⠀⠀╯⠀⠀⠀▕▕ ⠀╲⠀⠀⠀╲⠀⠀⠀⠀╱⠀⠀⠀╱⠀╲ ⠀⠀╲⠀⠀▕▔▔▔▔▏⠀⠀╱╲╲╲▏ ⠀╱▔⠀⠀▕⠀⠀⠀⠀▏⠀⠀▔╲▔▔ ⠀╲▂▂▂╱⠀⠀⠀⠀╲▂▂▂╱

by Anonymousreply 447October 9, 2023 1:24 AM

Gavin's show looks dreary.

by Anonymousreply 448October 9, 2023 1:36 AM

R448 Didn't he used to date, or at least bang, someone who used to work there? That's probably how the show came about.

Over at Here We Are, they've endeavored to ugly up Bobby Cannavale for comedy with glasses, put him in a track suit to make him look slightly dumpy, and wardrobe can effort in vain to fully flatten out that bulge, but IYKYK: there's a Grade-A hottie in there! He had his shirt off for a little bit and even though he's in his 50s now most every gay guy in the audience would still totally let him hit it from sunset to sunrise. He's wonderful in the show too.

by Anonymousreply 449October 9, 2023 2:26 AM

I've never seen Bobby Cannavale be wonderful in anything, so this would be a first.

by Anonymousreply 450October 9, 2023 2:33 AM

The only sad thing about the shelved Funny Girl revival starring Lauren Ambrose is we were robbed of the fabulous Nicky Arnstein Cannavale would have been.

by Anonymousreply 451October 9, 2023 2:40 AM

I think the oft – maligned sky Masterson from London sounds like a singing, Bobby Cannavale on the album

by Anonymousreply 452October 9, 2023 2:54 AM

Leslie Odom Jr obviously has a somewhat inflated sense of his value. He ain’t ever gonna be a movie star no matter how many chances he gets. He lacks the IT Factor.

by Anonymousreply 453October 9, 2023 3:08 AM

That Harmony song is

B. A. D.

by Anonymousreply 454October 9, 2023 3:39 AM

[quote]Leslie Odom Jr obviously has a somewhat inflated sense of his value. He ain’t ever gonna be a movie star no matter how many chances he gets. He lacks the IT Factor.

But he does have an Academy Award nomination for acting and well, you don't.

by Anonymousreply 455October 9, 2023 3:54 AM

All the nominations for that film ought to be revoked. It was a borefest.

by Anonymousreply 456October 9, 2023 5:49 AM

Harmony played LA about a decade ago, and it was not good.

If you’re going to call your show “Harmony”, you’d better make sure your performers can actually harmonize.

by Anonymousreply 457October 9, 2023 6:29 AM

[quote]But he does have an Academy Award nomination for acting and well, you don't.

R455 That's hardly impressive in recent years, when they give Oscar nominations to black actors for merely breathing.

Plus, his movie was released in 2020, so he definitely benefited from the George Floyd riots fallout, because Hollywood got even more 'woke' after that year.

by Anonymousreply 458October 9, 2023 6:54 AM

R458 take that shit somewhere else, bigot.

by Anonymousreply 459October 9, 2023 10:51 AM

Charles West was physically the best male lead in Miss Saigon.

by Anonymousreply 460October 9, 2023 11:09 AM

Leslie Odom Jr. Has RBF.

by Anonymousreply 461October 9, 2023 11:30 AM

I’ve heard of BDF but not RBF. What’s that?

by Anonymousreply 462October 9, 2023 12:21 PM

Resting Bitch Face

by Anonymousreply 463October 9, 2023 12:24 PM

What film got Leslie the Oscar Nomination? I've forgotten already.

by Anonymousreply 464October 9, 2023 12:36 PM

[quote]The Oscar nominations for the 93rd annual Academy Awards include the first two of Leslie Odom Jr.'s career.

[quote]The Philly native was nominated for best supporting actor for his portrayal of singer Sam Cooke in "One Night in Miami." The film's main song, "Speak Now," which was co-written and performed by Odom, was nominated for best original song.

by Anonymousreply 465October 9, 2023 1:02 PM

Gene Barry, shirtless

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 466October 9, 2023 1:25 PM

PUT YOUR SHIRT ON GENE!

by Anonymousreply 467October 9, 2023 1:36 PM

I really should have been nominated for Split. I really should have. Or Tender Mercies.

Christ even my performance in Another Woman stands out!

by Anonymousreply 468October 9, 2023 2:11 PM

Listen, Betty Lynn really should have been nominated for Tender Mercies. She was amazing. She and Sandy Dennis walked off with Another Woman.

by Anonymousreply 469October 9, 2023 2:27 PM

R469, Excuse me?

by Anonymousreply 470October 9, 2023 2:35 PM

r469, EXCUSE ME?

by Anonymousreply 471October 9, 2023 2:40 PM

I loved Betty’s performances in Carrie (the movie) and Carrie (the musical)..

by Anonymousreply 472October 9, 2023 3:14 PM

[quote]Charles West was physically the best male lead in Miss Saigon.

I'd never heard of him before, but he does look and sound great in the clips I found on YouTube of him as Chris in SAIGON. When and where did he play that role?

by Anonymousreply 473October 9, 2023 3:19 PM

I thought Carrie was a documentary.

by Anonymousreply 474October 9, 2023 3:43 PM

Gene Barry looks like Corky, the dummy from the film "Magic," in that shirtless pic.

by Anonymousreply 475October 9, 2023 4:04 PM

Gene’s greatest role

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 476October 9, 2023 5:53 PM

Sarah Brightman will play Norma Desmond in Australia in 2024.

by Anonymousreply 477October 9, 2023 7:48 PM

A *wide-eyed* Norma.

by Anonymousreply 478October 9, 2023 7:50 PM

[quote]Sarah Brightman will play Norma Desmond in Australia in 2024.

"With one note, I can break your ears...."

by Anonymousreply 479October 9, 2023 7:52 PM

Sarah Brightman will play Madonna as Norma Desmond in Australia in 2024 by the look of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 480October 9, 2023 7:58 PM

With one more I'll have you in tears.

by Anonymousreply 481October 9, 2023 7:59 PM

A high-pitched Norma?

by Anonymousreply 482October 9, 2023 8:02 PM

Ok but who is that ion the photo at r480??

by Anonymousreply 483October 9, 2023 8:03 PM

Start with the overbite and go from there, r483.

by Anonymousreply 484October 9, 2023 8:04 PM

NOW everyone is great casting for Norma??

by Anonymousreply 485October 9, 2023 8:04 PM

It's nothing but melodramatic claptrap with two power arias sung by a woman that couldn't make it in the talkies.

by Anonymousreply 486October 9, 2023 8:17 PM

Hugh Jackman, of course, played Joe in the Australian premiere of Sunset Boulevard. There was a great behind-the-scenes special about it,

by Anonymousreply 487October 9, 2023 8:20 PM

Maybe Hugh can play Max when it comes to Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 488October 9, 2023 8:40 PM

Hugh's...bald! *That's* the bombshell he'll be dropping.

by Anonymousreply 489October 9, 2023 8:42 PM

Or Norma

by Anonymousreply 490October 9, 2023 8:44 PM

Brightman, ironicalky, looks like she could have been a sikent film star. Unlike Patti, Diahann, Rita, Betty etc.

by Anonymousreply 491October 9, 2023 8:45 PM

Helen looked like one, r491.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 492October 9, 2023 9:04 PM

I thought Betty's bone structure was more suited to a star from the '30s/'40s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 493October 9, 2023 9:07 PM

Billy Porter

*IS*

Norm Desmond

With One Look I’ll Be THEY!!!!

by Anonymousreply 494October 9, 2023 9:26 PM

Any photos out there of Hugh in his Joe Gillis speedo?

by Anonymousreply 495October 9, 2023 9:32 PM

[quote]Hugh Jackman, of course, played Joe in the Australian premiere of Sunset Boulevard. There was a great behind-the-scenes special about it.

Ha! I read that quickly and thought you typed, "Hugh Jackman, of course, played Joe in the Australian premiere of Sunset Boulevard. There was a great behind!"

by Anonymousreply 496October 9, 2023 9:47 PM

[Quote] Brightman, ironicalky, looks like she could have been a sikent film star. Unlike Patti, Diahann, Rita, Betty etc.

What are you even talking about? I mean, I know you were there and you (barely) remember, but still.

[Quote] I thought Betty's bone structure was more suited to a star from the '30s/'40s.

Again, WTF. I believe in evolution but have none structures changed?

by Anonymousreply 497October 9, 2023 9:53 PM

R495 = Taron

by Anonymousreply 498October 9, 2023 9:53 PM

Billy Porter's Norma will be complaining about the advent of talkies, code switching, and microaggressions!

by Anonymousreply 499October 9, 2023 9:56 PM

R495, Hugh played that Act II opening scene by the pool fully dressed in a white business suit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 500October 9, 2023 9:57 PM

Why, r500?

by Anonymousreply 501October 9, 2023 10:05 PM

Is this the same person at r480v

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 502October 9, 2023 10:07 PM

She looks so...so...Margaret White.

by Anonymousreply 503October 9, 2023 10:09 PM

r501 The Speedo wasn't a thing until the Glenn revival

by Anonymousreply 504October 9, 2023 10:13 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 505October 9, 2023 10:29 PM

R500, In the 2019 NSMT/Beverly, MA production, with Alice Ripley as Norma, Nicholas Rodriguez played the Act II opening scene fully dressed, as well.

by Anonymousreply 506October 9, 2023 10:38 PM

R504. Nope. Lewis Cleale wore them in the 2nd US tour with Pet Clark.

by Anonymousreply 507October 9, 2023 10:40 PM

R507, Indeed he did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 508October 9, 2023 11:39 PM

Surely, Rex Smith must have worn a SPEEDO in the Canadian production with Diahann Carroll.

Rex has always loved to show off his ample package.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 509October 9, 2023 11:44 PM

R509... saw him... the white suit.

by Anonymousreply 510October 9, 2023 11:52 PM

I wouldn't want to be around when Patti reads the Brightman press release:

"Based on the Billy Wilder film, the musical version of SUNSET BOULEVARD had its world premiere at London’s Adelphi Theatre on July 12th 1993. The show received its American premiere in December 1993 at the Shubert Theatre in Los Angeles starring Glenn Close as Norma Desmond. "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 511October 10, 2023 12:33 AM

THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN MORE EFFECTIVE...

, the musical version of SUNSET BOULEVARD had its world premiere at London’s Adelphi Theatre on July 12th 1993 FEATURING PATTY LuPONE.

by Anonymousreply 512October 10, 2023 12:54 AM

R512, Not to be confused with PATTI LuPONE.

by Anonymousreply 513October 10, 2023 12:59 AM

Those aren’t speedos. Jeez

by Anonymousreply 514October 10, 2023 1:14 AM

[bold][italic]STARRING[/bold][/italic] Patti LuPone!

by Anonymousreply 515October 10, 2023 2:39 AM

Fuck!

by Anonymousreply 516October 10, 2023 2:40 AM

I misspelled Patti's name on purpose because PATTY would have pissed her off. But now I realize it's not very funny and I should probably go to bed. Goodnight.

by Anonymousreply 517October 10, 2023 3:46 AM

*I* got it, r517.

by Anonymousreply 518October 10, 2023 3:55 AM

Oh why the hell not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 519October 10, 2023 4:23 AM

I just purchased a used CD via Amazon (only "used" seemed to be available but it's in perfect condition) that features that Whip-Poor-Will number, based on a link I saw on DL. It's an extraordinary concert of Kern's music so thanks to you, r519, or whoever posted something about it a few weeks ago. I listen to it constantly.

by Anonymousreply 520October 10, 2023 12:50 PM

Referring to the fracas above, surely it should be Sunday...Park...George...?

by Anonymousreply 521October 10, 2023 12:59 PM

Anyone have any discount codes for Days/Wine/Roses?

by Anonymousreply 522October 10, 2023 1:17 PM

Yes, r522. Word/of/Mouth.

by Anonymousreply 523October 10, 2023 1:28 PM

Pretty sure TDF will take care of your discount issues for DAYS, r522.

by Anonymousreply 524October 10, 2023 1:30 PM

R523 is why I still come to Datalounge after 15 years of pointless bitchery

by Anonymousreply 525October 10, 2023 1:30 PM

Another wave of raves for MERRILY. Groff must be very happy.

by Anonymousreply 526October 10, 2023 1:36 PM

R514, Close enough.

by Anonymousreply 527October 10, 2023 1:42 PM

That's what I always say!

by Anonymousreply 528October 10, 2023 1:47 PM

R520, I probably posted the link you saw a few weeks ago. I adore Kern's music, John McGlinn's 3 CD recording of Show Boat is another essential for any fan.

Maybe I should call myself "The Kern Troll."

by Anonymousreply 529October 10, 2023 2:08 PM

I love you, Kern Troll!

I think I have most of the other McGlinn recordings, including SHOW BOAT. He was just the best, though I hear he was a troubled soul.

by Anonymousreply 530October 10, 2023 4:18 PM

If I by troubled soul, you mean gave me great work, then yes, he was a troubled soul!

by Anonymousreply 531October 10, 2023 4:30 PM

It's still backwards.

by Anonymousreply 532October 10, 2023 4:52 PM

Bells/Are/Ringing

by Anonymousreply 533October 10, 2023 5:00 PM

No one seems to be saying that about this production r532.

[quote]Friedman understands something crucial about Merrily, one of those elusive things that seems so simple when we actually, at last, see it happen: We need to love the three aspiring hearts who begin the play middle-age — suffering, compromised, hating each other — and end it as 20-year-old music-makers and dreamers of dreams. I mean, really love them — enough that, as we watch their story reassemble itself, like a rewound film of a shattered vase, our hearts can’t help cracking, in an inverse relationship to the thing we’re seeing be repaired, the thing we know, in real time, is still broken. Love them enough that our knowing — the structural inevitability of the play — is neither a flaw nor, in fact, the point.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 534October 10, 2023 5:05 PM

WHET Rory O'Malley? ("Turn It Off" from BoM popped up randomly on a playlist yesterday.)

by Anonymousreply 535October 10, 2023 5:51 PM

You mean Word/Mouth and Bells/Ringing

r522 got it right.

by Anonymousreply 536October 10, 2023 6:04 PM

Is that really what everyone does? Blames the way it is in the way it was?

by Anonymousreply 537October 10, 2023 6:05 PM

None of the reviews seem to mention the relentless preachy/scolding lyrics in Merrily.

by Anonymousreply 538October 10, 2023 6:08 PM

[quote]Is that really what everyone does? Blames the way it is in the way it was?

The way it never...ever...was.

by Anonymousreply 539October 10, 2023 6:09 PM

Here Lies Love at $620,892 last week. Is there a hope and a prayer?

by Anonymousreply 540October 10, 2023 6:11 PM

[quote]None of the reviews seem to mention the relentless preachy/scolding lyrics in Merrily.

Maybe that's because your comment is not true, or at least is a ridiculous exaggeration. I would say only a very small percentage of the lyrics in MERRILY could be classified as "preachy/scolding." Not even most of "Franklin Shepard, Inc." could accurately be described that way. If you think there are many more examples, please list them, otherwise it might be best if you just apologized and admitted you don't really know what you're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 541October 10, 2023 6:36 PM

[quote]WHET Rory O'Malley? ("Turn It Off" from BoM popped up randomly on a playlist yesterday.)

he's living in LA and is on strike currently.

by Anonymousreply 542October 10, 2023 6:39 PM

Saw GUTENBERG over the weekend. Hilarious and fun and exactly what I needed.

by Anonymousreply 543October 10, 2023 6:48 PM

Geez, R541 obviously got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning. There ARE preachy/scolding lyrics in Merrily and not just in “ Franklin Shepard Inc.”

by Anonymousreply 544October 10, 2023 7:27 PM

Glynis at 100.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 545October 10, 2023 7:37 PM

[quote]There ARE preachy/scolding lyrics in Merrily and not just in “ Franklin Shepard Inc.”

The poster in question -- maybe it was you? -- wrote that the "preachy/scolding" lyrics in MERRILY are "relentless." Again, please provide even a few examples of all these supposedly preachy/scolding lyrics, and if you can't, SHUT UP.

by Anonymousreply 546October 10, 2023 8:06 PM

Preachy and scolding to whom? The characters? The audience?

by Anonymousreply 547October 10, 2023 8:19 PM

R547, I don't think the lyrics are preachy or scolding to anyone, because they largely don't exist. Only a very few lyrics in the show could be classified that way, and as far as I can see, they include just a few lyrics in "Franklin Shepard, Inc." and a few more in the center section of "Old Friends."

by Anonymousreply 548October 10, 2023 8:25 PM

...and Margot Fonteyn to dance Giselle!

by Anonymousreply 549October 10, 2023 9:15 PM

R545 give us a warning - that broad was hard enough to look at when she was young.

by Anonymousreply 550October 10, 2023 9:44 PM

Steven Lutvak passed away. Gentleman’s Guide was fun, but his other music had no equal. What a loss.

by Anonymousreply 551October 10, 2023 10:28 PM

I’d hate to be Daniel reading that Times review…the performance of his lifetime is still an afterthought to bossypigbotton Groff.

by Anonymousreply 552October 10, 2023 10:28 PM

Groffy is neat.

by Anonymousreply 553October 10, 2023 10:30 PM

I feel sure that Radcliffe is quite proud of the accolades Groff is receiving, r552.

by Anonymousreply 554October 10, 2023 10:31 PM

[quote]Glynis at 100.

She let herself go.

by Anonymousreply 555October 10, 2023 11:08 PM

R552 - Addison DeWitt

by Anonymousreply 556October 10, 2023 11:09 PM

Coming over from the I, Claudius thread, is Sir Derek Jacobi still working, on stage, TV, radio, etc.? I saw him play Benedict and Cyrano on the same day when the RSC brought the plays to Broadway back when that sort of thing used to happen regularly. (And why doesn't it still? Yeah, I know, money.) He was terrific in both.

by Anonymousreply 557October 10, 2023 11:15 PM

R551, I hadn't heard that. *sad face*

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 558October 11, 2023 12:33 AM

R5559, it’s a beautiful song to remember him. I worked with him a few times. He was a little prickly, but music just opened his soul.

by Anonymousreply 559October 11, 2023 1:05 AM

It’s such a trade off role because Charlie has the best song in the score “Good Thing Going” and then he also has the hardest song “Franklin Shepherd Inc”

It’s a tough role

by Anonymousreply 560October 11, 2023 1:36 AM

It wasn’t a trade off or tough role when Raul Esparza played it. One of the most electric performances I’ve ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 561October 11, 2023 1:44 AM

Agreed, R561. In fact, I found that whole production deeply satisfying -- reading the reviews of the current one, in which everyone's blown away by the believability of the central trio's friendship, just reminds me of how deeply I felt that about the 2002 Kennedy Center rendition. I'm excited to see the new production, but for me they'll be hard-pressed to match Michael Hayden, Miriam Shor and Raúl Esparza. (Emily Skinner's Gussie was also wonderful in ways I don't expect any other performer to match.)

by Anonymousreply 562October 11, 2023 2:05 AM

Radcliffe stinks in musicals. He's always trying so hard to keep up. It's no fun if we're witnessing the effort.

by Anonymousreply 563October 11, 2023 2:12 AM

Yeah we really need this, Babs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 564October 11, 2023 3:02 AM

^how about putting MY scenes back in!

by Anonymousreply 565October 11, 2023 3:03 AM

Regarding that Playbill article linked to at R564, how terribly embarrassing. It seems (according to other sources) that Brolin misspoke, and the movie for which Streisand is apparently planning to recut the ending is THE WAY WE WERE. Perhaps Brolin is becoming senile or just doesn't pay too much attention to what his wife says/ And P.S., this year is the 50th anniversary of THE WAY WE WERE -- not of FUNNY GIRL, which was released five years earlier. So he was also wrong about that.

Also, there is no explanation of how Streisand would have the right or the power to recut THE WAY WE WERE, a film she did not direct and does not own. Really, just when you think this woman's ego has reached its absolute limit, she surprises you.

by Anonymousreply 566October 11, 2023 3:18 AM

Well, according to ATC, Playbill got it wrong.....or Jim Brolin got it wrong, but, anyway, she's actually re-cutting the ending of THE WAY WE WERE.

by Anonymousreply 567October 11, 2023 3:18 AM

How about cutting a few chapters from your memoir, Barbra. Your 992 pages is heavy lifting for this EG.

by Anonymousreply 568October 11, 2023 3:21 AM

No it's Funny Girl and she's cutting My Man and replacing it with the newly filmed and recorded The Music That Makes Me Dance with a reprise of Don't Rain on My Parade. .

by Anonymousreply 569October 11, 2023 4:21 AM

And there will be an epilogue in which a young actress (played by Lea Michele) is shown lip-synching "My Man" in front of a mirror.

by Anonymousreply 570October 11, 2023 12:19 PM

Is it possible that all three parties are idiots?

Playbill is known trash.

James Brolin doesn’t have an encyclopedic memory of his wife’s films

Barbra always thinks she has a better way and a better cut!

by Anonymousreply 571October 11, 2023 1:49 PM

P.S. And Brolin is 83.

by Anonymousreply 572October 11, 2023 2:23 PM

Barbra must be forgiven - 'Funny Girl' is the first movie she ever directed.

by Anonymousreply 573October 11, 2023 3:09 PM

Do we think Babs will be at all self-critical in those 993 pages?

by Anonymousreply 574October 11, 2023 4:45 PM

Hands off MY MAN!

by Anonymousreply 575October 11, 2023 5:07 PM

It's remarkable how Sondheim's biggest flop is now a masterpiece that will run longer than Phantom. Who knew all it took was for him to drop dead.

by Anonymousreply 576October 11, 2023 5:29 PM

Let us know what you achieve when you finally drop dead r576.

by Anonymousreply 577October 11, 2023 5:35 PM

[quote]Sondheim's biggest flop

Hardly

by Anonymousreply 578October 11, 2023 5:38 PM

R576, in what world will Merrily run as long as Phantom? This production is succeeding not because of Sondheim’s death, since it succeeded in London while he was still alive.

It doesn’t really matter anyway, but the reason Merrily flopped and Phantom was a mega hit comes down to one person: Hal Prince.

by Anonymousreply 579October 11, 2023 5:56 PM

Derek Jacobi's Cyrano, for me, is still the best performance of that role I've yet to see.

by Anonymousreply 580October 11, 2023 5:59 PM

West End Sunset Blvd cancelled tonite due to illness. Isn't it opening tomorrow?

by Anonymousreply 581October 11, 2023 6:11 PM

Sondheim's biggest flop.

Would that be Bounce/Road Show/Wise Guys?

by Anonymousreply 582October 11, 2023 6:24 PM

Or is it Anyone/Whistle?

by Anonymousreply 583October 11, 2023 6:27 PM

“Saturday Night” flopped before it even made it to Broadway

by Anonymousreply 584October 11, 2023 6:34 PM

[quote]Do we think Babs will be at all self-critical in those 993 pages?

I would be shocked if she could bring herself to self critical in even one sentence of one paragraph of those 993 pages. So my answer to your question is: NO!!!

by Anonymousreply 585October 11, 2023 7:14 PM

How many of those pages did she actually write?

by Anonymousreply 586October 11, 2023 7:31 PM

Supposedly, she did not use a ghost writer.

by Anonymousreply 587October 11, 2023 8:15 PM

Let's see if she uses the phrase "The sun spit morning...".

by Anonymousreply 588October 11, 2023 8:34 PM

Marry me, R588, and we can spend many wonderful hours watching "Cycle Sluts."

by Anonymousreply 589October 11, 2023 8:47 PM

Too damn enervating, r589.

by Anonymousreply 590October 11, 2023 8:49 PM

Speaking of which, did anyone actually see the Cycle Sluts perform in the 70s?

by Anonymousreply 591October 11, 2023 9:09 PM

No, but I saw Manhattan Transfer.

by Anonymousreply 592October 11, 2023 9:17 PM

r590 Not even if I give you permission to read my underwear?

by Anonymousreply 593October 11, 2023 9:39 PM

J Harrison Ghee back in SLIH tonight

by Anonymousreply 594October 12, 2023 10:52 AM

Any chat on I Can Get It for You Wholesale at CSC yet? I have tix for next week and I'm already wondering why I rushed in and paid a lot of money for them.

by Anonymousreply 595October 12, 2023 12:44 PM

I’m not seeing it until November, but yeah. Over $200 for top tickets, which were not discounted with membership.

by Anonymousreply 596October 12, 2023 1:33 PM

[quote]Any chat on I Can Get It for You Wholesale at CSC yet? I have tix for next week and I'm already wondering why I rushed in and paid a lot of money for them.

What has changed since you bought the tickets that now makes you question your decision?

by Anonymousreply 597October 12, 2023 1:44 PM

R591-I saw Gotham many, many times.

by Anonymousreply 598October 12, 2023 1:48 PM

I listened to the OBC album, r597.

by Anonymousreply 599October 12, 2023 2:05 PM

So what are lurid tales about James Patrick Daley of the odd Bway Dracula. He gives off major slut vibes. pre-show Andy BJ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600October 12, 2023 2:16 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!