Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

THEATRE GOSSIP #538: The “Bloody Bloody Norma Desmond” Edition

Here we go—somewhere over the Golden Rainbow!

by Anonymousreply 600October 1, 2023 7:51 PM

Link to previous thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 24, 2023 8:49 PM

Great title, OP! Thanks for starting a new thread ☺️

by Anonymousreply 2September 24, 2023 8:53 PM

Are we going to discuss the new Sunset Boulevard?

by Anonymousreply 3September 24, 2023 8:54 PM

Or the old "Follies"?

by Anonymousreply 4September 24, 2023 9:14 PM

How can a production of Sunset Boulevard not have a staircase or a swimming pool?

by Anonymousreply 5September 24, 2023 9:19 PM

R5, due to a an epic delusion that the show can stand on its score.

by Anonymousreply 6September 24, 2023 9:38 PM

So it sort of sounds like they combined the Eleanor Parker character and the Thelma Ritter character from A Hole in the Head to create a new character for Eydie?

One of the great aspects of A Hole in the Head are all those fabulous actors in supporting roles. Besides Thelma, there's Edward G. Robinson who plays Sinatra's older brother and Thelma's husband, Carolyn Jones as Sinatra's beatnik/surfer girl friend (with blue nail polish - I've never forgotten - Mary!), Keenan Wynn as a pushy gangster type and Joi Lansing as his girl friend, and, of course Eleanor Parker as Sinatra's ultimate love interest and Eddie Hodges, brilliant as the kid.

And then there's the great theme song "High Hopes" which we always sang in grade school! I need to re-watch that movie now. I'm surprised it's not better remembered.

by Anonymousreply 7September 24, 2023 9:38 PM

High Hopes was inescapable in my youth. Then it appeared as a JFK campaign song. It was a great idea to use the kids' chorus.

by Anonymousreply 8September 24, 2023 9:51 PM

Acc to ATC, Max Von Essen is ill. Hope they can reschedule all of us disappointed fans.

by Anonymousreply 9September 24, 2023 9:54 PM

A hat tip tip R596 and R597 from the previous thread. Two reasons why I spend time here... very funny posts.

Thanks you two!

by Anonymousreply 10September 24, 2023 11:25 PM

So they're the ones to blame

by Anonymousreply 11September 24, 2023 11:36 PM

Did Max Von Essen eat the wrong ass, or is it Covid?

by Anonymousreply 12September 24, 2023 11:40 PM

Awww!

Heterosexual musical theatre LOVE.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 24, 2023 11:55 PM

Sunset Boulevard? All these years I thought the song was about Sunset's bull is hard.

by Anonymousreply 14September 24, 2023 11:57 PM

Any good theatre worth seeing in London in November/December? Never seen Private Lives, so thinking of doing the production with Nigel Havers and Patricia Hodge. Looking for other suggestions -- plays or musicals -- but preferably not things one can easily see in the U.S. (like Hamilton, Wicked, Back to the Future etc.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 25, 2023 12:06 AM

r7=Shirley Feeney

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 25, 2023 12:14 AM

Love Nigel Havers

by Anonymousreply 17September 25, 2023 12:14 AM

My Neighbor Totoro, R15.

Although it will undoubtedly be staged internationally at some point, no plans have been announced yet.

It is one of the most theatrically perfect things I’ve ever seen in my life.

by Anonymousreply 18September 25, 2023 12:17 AM

r18 - do you think someone who has zero interest in Japanese animation would enjoy it? You're certainly not the first person to recommend it.

by Anonymousreply 19September 25, 2023 12:19 AM

Dinah Shore had a summer variety show in the late 70s which featured up and coming talent like Leland Palmer, Diana Canova. and Gary Mule Deer. Cindy Williams is also in this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 25, 2023 12:24 AM

A 71 year old Elliot and a 76 year old Amanda, r15?

by Anonymousreply 21September 25, 2023 12:34 AM

Re. Sunset all I have to say is, bring back the damned scenery!

by Anonymousreply 22September 25, 2023 1:20 AM

[quote]And then there's the great theme song "High Hopes" which we always sang in grade school! I need to re-watch that movie now. I'm surprised it's not better remembered.

[quote]High Hopes was inescapable in my youth. Then it appeared as a JFK campaign song. It was a great idea to use the kids' chorus.

Incidentally, "High Hopes" won the 1959 Oscar for Best Song. The other nominees were "The Best of Everything" from THE BEST OF EVERYTHING, "The Five Pennies" from THE FIVE PENNIES, "The Hanging Tree" from THE HANGING TREE, and "Strange Are the Ways of Love" from THE YOUNG LAND.

by Anonymousreply 23September 25, 2023 2:01 AM

R21. I had the same reaction but you know what? They're both marvelous actors and it must be a master class watching them play Coward.

by Anonymousreply 24September 25, 2023 2:07 AM

Beat this…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 25, 2023 2:09 AM

In the new London Sunset Boulevard revival, Joe still lyrically refers to the swimming pool, but it’s not there.

by Anonymousreply 26September 25, 2023 2:12 AM

Post from previous thread discussing Max's devotion to Norma:

[quote]But she had other husbands after Max. It was more than love on his part. I took it as he felt responsible for her.

He did.

(JOE returns from secretly meeting with Betty.)

MAX: Please be careful when you cross the patio. Madame may be watching.

JOE: Suppose I tiptoe up the back stairs and undress in the dark, will that do it?

MAX: It's just that I am greatly worried about Madame.

JOE: Well, you're not helping her any, feeding her lies and more lies. What happens when she finds out they're not going to make her picture?

MAX: She never will. That is my job. I made her a star and I will never let her be destroyed.

JOE: You made her a star?

MAX: I directed all of her early pictures. In those days, there were three directors who showed promise: D.W. Griffith, Cecil B. DeMille, and...

JOE: Max von Mayerling.

MAX: That's right.

by Anonymousreply 27September 25, 2023 2:15 AM

r15 will the Burton Gielgud play still be on?

by Anonymousreply 28September 25, 2023 2:15 AM

[quote]Beat this…

Challenge accepted, R24. The very first show I saw on Broadway, in 1975, was "Private Lives," starring Maggie Smith. She was sublime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 25, 2023 2:19 AM

R29, I saw that same production in Boston.

by Anonymousreply 30September 25, 2023 2:22 AM

R29 I saw that production in LA. Maggie Smith was doing Lucy, something noted by almost all the critics. Obviously she ironed things out.

by Anonymousreply 31September 25, 2023 2:49 AM

Maggie was doing...Maggie. She did Coward like nobody's business.

by Anonymousreply 32September 25, 2023 2:55 AM

I remember she was doing triple takes and really, really trying physical comedy with weird body contortions. That's Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 33September 25, 2023 2:59 AM

Oh, and not long after I saw Maggie, I saw Patricia Conolly do Amanda at the Guthrie and she was wonderful. I believe she was also doing Blanche in repertory that season.

by Anonymousreply 34September 25, 2023 3:00 AM

Tonight, Max's role was played by composer Walter Marks, and though it wasn't the "historic event" James Morgan claimed it would be, it was a lot of fun, and the composer handled the score pretty well. But for me, it was all about the kid. Benjamin Pajak is the real thing. Not a forced emotion to be seen. He's going to have an amazing career.

by Anonymousreply 35September 25, 2023 3:00 AM

^Max Von Essen, not Max from "Sunset".

by Anonymousreply 36September 25, 2023 3:01 AM

[quote]Benjamin Pajak is the real thing. Not a forced emotion to be seen. He's going to have an amazing career.

You heard it here first, folks.

by Anonymousreply 37September 25, 2023 3:08 AM

I recall uber religious Eydie Gorme having an issue with the revealing costumes worn by the Golden Rainbow chorus girls and insisting they be more covered up.

by Anonymousreply 38September 25, 2023 3:11 AM

R37-AlanScott, is that you? Or it it you, mslop?

by Anonymousreply 39September 25, 2023 3:13 AM

Eydie had never played Vegas?

by Anonymousreply 40September 25, 2023 3:13 AM

Steve Lawrence had a fling with Sally Ann Howes during the run of What Makes Sammy Run?

Did Eydie, who was no actress, insist on being cast in Golden Rainbow to keep an eye on Steve?

by Anonymousreply 41September 25, 2023 3:14 AM

[quote]Tonight, Max's role was played by composer Walter Marks, and though it wasn't the "historic event" James Morgan claimed it would be, it was a lot of fun, and the composer handled the score pretty well.

I'm very surprised at that, as I received an email saying that both performances today were canceled.

by Anonymousreply 42September 25, 2023 3:14 AM

Saw THE WIZ in Baltimore tonight with a friend who was invited to their "soft" opening --- they're still working on it. It's going to be a hit. It's a great production and Ruffin's book really cleans up all the mess of the original. It's funny, and lots of heart. Much better than her work on "Some Like It Hot." The cast is something --- spectacular vocals, and this must be such a hard show for the sound mixer. Sets are by the "Black Panther" Oscar winner and they are fascinating... bold and fluid. The projections are state of the art, costumes beautiful with a few you could tell they were still working on. The girl playing Dorothy is MAJOR. Like Cynthia Erivo major. Lion, Scarecrow and Tinman all great, and the Tinman is another real find. Audience was wild for it, and it was a mixed race crowd. Probably 50/50 black/white and all having fun. For a "revisal" they got it right.

by Anonymousreply 43September 25, 2023 4:32 AM

[quote] Sunset Boulevard? All these years I thought the song was about Sunset's bull is hard.

This is what happens when AI tries to write a joke.

by Anonymousreply 44September 25, 2023 4:46 AM

You CAN do Romeo and Juliet with 40 year olds and Private Lives with 60 year olds, but they were written as teenagers and 30 year olds respectively, and it becomes a different play if they're not. Also, Act 2 of PL is very athletic, and the play's commentary on love doesn't work if the stately couple of the first Act don't turn into physically warring demons in the second.

by Anonymousreply 45September 25, 2023 7:27 AM

[Quote] The girl playing Dorothy is MAJOR. Like Cynthia Erivo major.

by Anonymousreply 46September 25, 2023 11:05 AM

R45 who are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 47September 25, 2023 12:07 PM

Walter Marks played the lead in GOLDEN RAINBOW?? He's 89!

by Anonymousreply 48September 25, 2023 12:10 PM

Does no one remember the exquisite Private Lives in 1970 with Tammy Grimes and Brian Bedford? She won the Tony, too.

by Anonymousreply 49September 25, 2023 12:16 PM

[quote] I received an email that both of today's performances of GOLDEN RAINBOW were canceled due to illness, with no further details. If it was on such short notice that the cancellation didn't happen until 40 minutes before curtain time of the matinee, I certainly hope it's nothing very serious.

[quote] Covid?

Menstrual Cramps.

by Anonymousreply 50September 25, 2023 12:38 PM

[quote]The girl playing Dorothy is MAJOR. Like Cynthia Erivo major.

Yet she didn't make enough of an impression on you to remember her name.

by Anonymousreply 51September 25, 2023 1:19 PM

Those UK Cabaret stars never seem to do more than a couple of months.

by Anonymousreply 52September 25, 2023 1:31 PM

McAnuff did a great take on The Wiz at LaJolla maybe a decade ago. They keep trying to revive it including the TV special but I think it's just a thing of the past.

by Anonymousreply 53September 25, 2023 1:53 PM

Does anyone remember that Joan Collins did PRIVATE LIVES on Broadway in 1992? No Tony for Joan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54September 25, 2023 2:00 PM

R52. Shocking

by Anonymousreply 55September 25, 2023 2:01 PM

Liz and Dick in Private Lives. Forgotten already.

by Anonymousreply 56September 25, 2023 2:10 PM

"The Wiz" sets Broadway date.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57September 25, 2023 2:10 PM

The Grimes/Bedford Private Lives was the best version I've ever seen. Perfection. Nothing has rivaled it. And I didn't like the Rickman/Duncan one. I found them both unpleasant and she was rather robotic. I've loved her in everything since, though.

by Anonymousreply 58September 25, 2023 2:12 PM

I was a kid. Saturday matinee of the brand new "The Wiz" fifth row center orchestra. Loved it. While exiting thru the aisle I said to my brother, Diana Ross will play Dorothy in the movie. A matinee matron stopped in her tracks in front of me, turned and said, Oh Dear, Diana Ross is too old to play Dorothy. I also predicted Madonna would play Evita ten years before she did.

by Anonymousreply 59September 25, 2023 2:14 PM

[quote]McAnuff did a great take on The Wiz at LaJolla maybe a decade ago. They keep trying to revive it including the TV special but I think it's just a thing of the past.

Especially since there's already THE WIZARD OF OZ (based on the popular MGM film) that gets put on annually by high schools and community theaters.

There's even an abridged OZ Jr. for middle schoolers.

by Anonymousreply 60September 25, 2023 2:17 PM

R56 . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61September 25, 2023 2:26 PM

R61 why are they so swarthy?

by Anonymousreply 62September 25, 2023 2:30 PM

The Joan Collins Private Lives was complete camp, but enjoyable. I also thought the Rickman/Duncan one was overrated, although the set was a beauty. And I saw the Kim Cattrall production, but cannot remember a thing about it.

by Anonymousreply 63September 25, 2023 2:36 PM

That photo at R61 is horrendous.

Liz looks like Maureen Stapleton's trampy older sister.

Burton looks like he's sweating gin (which, to be fair, he probably was).

by Anonymousreply 64September 25, 2023 2:44 PM

John Cullum played the younger man in the Liz/Dick Private Lives??? He was older than Liz!

by Anonymousreply 65September 25, 2023 2:45 PM

The Wiz at LaJolla introduced the Witch (called WWW) early on which helped a lot but a big problem is that the songs aren't very good. That doesn't seem to be a problem today but with few exceptions, most of the songs you forget the second after they're performed. I think it's hard to transcribe the difference of the black experience from the 1970s to 2020s.

by Anonymousreply 66September 25, 2023 2:48 PM

r59=Miss Cleo

by Anonymousreply 67September 25, 2023 2:48 PM

[quote]Liz looks like Maureen Stapleton's trampy older sister.

😂

They do look like the film version of ALL IN THE FAMILY.

by Anonymousreply 68September 25, 2023 2:48 PM

[quote]No Tony for Joan.

I beg your pardon!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69September 25, 2023 2:49 PM

You forgot Private Lives.

I've had sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 70September 25, 2023 2:50 PM

Shame Stephanie Mills never did another Broadway show. Imagine her as Effie in Dreamgirls.

by Anonymousreply 71September 25, 2023 2:52 PM

Wasn't Mills in the Wiz for a very long time. She seemed to stay the same size.

by Anonymousreply 72September 25, 2023 2:54 PM

[quote] Does anyone remember that Joan Collins did PRIVATE LIVES on Broadway in 1992? No Tony for Joan.

I worked on it. It was nowhere near as horrible as reputation had it. Joan was fine, and the two men (Simon Jones and Edward Duke) were very good. I have two pieces of gossip (one fun, one no big deal).

Joan liked the theater frozen cold because she would sweat off her makeup, so the front of the house had to keep the fire exit doors of the Broadhurst open until the house opened, and then again during intermission. It was the middle of winter and the patrons (most of whom were old bags) complained like crazy.

Joan was boozing it up during the run and was putting on weight. She insisted her wigs be teased out larger and larger to give her face the illusion of looking smaller. By the time of close she looked like one of The Hair Bear Bunch.

I will say that this production really kept things moving. it was staged to feel like a screwball comedy and it worked. Decades later I went to see the deadly dull production done with Paul Gross and Kim Cattrall and it moved at a glacial pace. There was one point where I swore that they had added an act because I didn't remember the show being that long.

by Anonymousreply 73September 25, 2023 2:54 PM

I worked on that production, too, r73! Can vouch for all you've said. I found Jones an absolute delight to work with.

by Anonymousreply 74September 25, 2023 3:07 PM

[quote]I have two pieces of gossip (one fun, one no big deal).

Which is which?

by Anonymousreply 75September 25, 2023 3:17 PM

R73 great memories. Joan will always deserve credit in the world of Noel Coward fans for getting that video version of Tonight at 8:30 done as one of her big projects only a few years after her peak Dynasty fame. Whatever it was that made her choose that material only she knows, and yes, she's in all of the plays, but without her there'd be no professional video version of that show.

by Anonymousreply 76September 25, 2023 3:17 PM

R48-Yes, at 89, he played the lead. The company wheeled him on and off stage in a chair on rollers, but he stood with his cane at the curtain. I can only wish my voice is still that strong at 89.

by Anonymousreply 77September 25, 2023 3:58 PM

Did anyone on here work on Legends, with Joan Collins and Linda Evans?

Here in Boston, its engagement was shortened due to poor ticket sales.

by Anonymousreply 78September 25, 2023 3:58 PM

I worked on the original, r78. That was quite enough.

by Anonymousreply 79September 25, 2023 4:02 PM

You deserve a medal, r79.

by Anonymousreply 80September 25, 2023 4:17 PM

R79, I heard from someone who worked at the Ahmanson in LA during the run that it was James Kirkwood who was the nightmare. Too much cocaine and not enough talent.

by Anonymousreply 81September 25, 2023 4:24 PM

[quote]Too much cocaine and not enough talent.

I beg your pardon, it was exactly the opposite.

by Anonymousreply 82September 25, 2023 4:26 PM

[quote]The Wiz at LaJolla introduced the Witch (called WWW) early on which helped a lot but a big problem is that the songs aren't very good.

Couldn't disagree more. There isn't a weak song in the show. I hope your not going by the really disappointing job Quincy Jones did with the movie soundtrack.

by Anonymousreply 83September 25, 2023 4:32 PM

The bare staging of Sunset is just unnecessary. It looks dreadful. The original production was insanely expensive but the Glenn Close revival (which I saw in London) was just fine with everything scaled back. Did we need another one so soon? And Nicole Scherzinger is a great singer, but she looks much younger than the role. It's a bit of a strange choice. 50 isn't old but I think you need an element of "hag" to pull it off on stage.

by Anonymousreply 84September 25, 2023 4:34 PM

Well, Glenn can certainly provide that.

by Anonymousreply 85September 25, 2023 4:36 PM

R83, I'm going by my memory of the original Broadway cast. The songs by the Tinman, Scarecrow and Lion are not just forgettable, they're unmemorable. Ease on Down is fun as is No Bad News but it's saying something when the best song in the show was written by Luther Vandross. Home has become something of a theatrical evergreen but the score has a weird time stamp on it. It's not exactly Motown, not disco, not funk.

by Anonymousreply 86September 25, 2023 4:37 PM

[quote[It's a great production and Ruffin's book really cleans up all the mess of the original. It's funny, and lots of heart.

Really? I just noticed that one performer, Melody A. Betts, is doubling as Aunt Em and Evilene, which makes no sense. Of course it makes sense in the 1939 movie that Miss Gulch becomes the Wicked Witch of the West, because they're both malevolent characters, but Aunt Em in THE WIZ especially is written as very kind and nurturing. So I don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 87September 25, 2023 4:53 PM

Amber Ruffin? Of SLIH fame?

Sure, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 88September 25, 2023 4:58 PM

I was switching channels and....whaddya know?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89September 25, 2023 5:13 PM

I heard that Maggie Smith was asked whether she intended to see the Joan Collins production of "Private Lives." Her response, supposedly, was, "I don't think I have the strength."

by Anonymousreply 90September 25, 2023 5:21 PM

I didn't know Joan Collins was ever on Broadway.

Just checked on IBDb and her PRIVATE LIVES only ran for one month?

by Anonymousreply 91September 25, 2023 5:26 PM

[quote]I didn't know Joan Collins was ever on Broadway.

She intended to return to Broadway in the production of "Legends!" she did with Linda Evans, but, like the original (which starred Carol Channing and Mary Martin), it closed out of town. I saw it in D.C. It was terrible, but it's a terrible play. I saw the original in Boston, and even Channing and Martin couldn't save it.

by Anonymousreply 92September 25, 2023 5:31 PM

Sondheim LOVED the original Wiz and was especially impressed with Ted Ross' Lion. He saw it several times.

On a somewhat similar vein, Sondheim said that Fosse saw the last 15 minutes of Follies, said "Oh Boy" and made a career out of it.

by Anonymousreply 93September 25, 2023 5:50 PM

“Everybody Rejoice” and “Believe in Yourself” are also excellent songs in “The Wiz”.

by Anonymousreply 94September 25, 2023 5:54 PM

In the movie, That's My Mama Teresa Merritt played Em but on Broadway played Evillene. On tour, Dee Dee Bridgewater played Em and Glinda which makes sense. I'd never heard of Melody Betts but thankfully she's not singing Believe in Yourself in the show. OMG.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95September 25, 2023 5:55 PM

R84, Norma is referred to as 40 in this current London revival.

by Anonymousreply 96September 25, 2023 6:01 PM

[quote] Just checked on IBDb and her PRIVATE LIVES only ran for one month?

Yes, it was a limited run, but it still closed early.

The 1991-92 season at the Broadhurst was a disaster. The bomb shows, with Private Lives being the longest run of the three. The other two were Andre Heller's Wonderhouse, and Shimada, with Ellen Burstyn and Ben Gazzara, which closed after 5 performances.

by Anonymousreply 97September 25, 2023 6:10 PM

I saw Dee Dee in concert this summer at a jazz festival. She was so fucking good. Even at age 75.

by Anonymousreply 98September 25, 2023 6:12 PM

Fran Rich on Shimada:

“Yet as drama "Shimada" moves at the pace of bulk mail, and its content is somewhat less scintillating than the typical missive from, say, Publishers Clearing House.”

by Anonymousreply 99September 25, 2023 6:14 PM

[quote]I saw Dee Dee in concert this summer at a jazz festival. She was so fucking good. Even at age 75.

Matinee Amanda!

by Anonymousreply 100September 25, 2023 6:14 PM

“Perhaps the most novel aspect of the production is its distinction, widely publicized, as the first Broadway show to offer a simultaneous Japanese translation. The headsets can be rented for $5, a bargain when you consider that by turning up the volume of the Japanese translation all the way, you can almost succeed in drowning out "Shimada" in English.”

by Anonymousreply 101September 25, 2023 6:16 PM

You gotta love Frank Rich (and I do).

by Anonymousreply 102September 25, 2023 6:20 PM

“The Wiz” produced more great songs than “The Wizard of Oz” did.

by Anonymousreply 103September 25, 2023 6:22 PM

Was lucky to see her do this three times

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104September 25, 2023 6:33 PM

[quote]On tour, Dee Dee Bridgewater played Em and Glinda which makes sense.

Yes, that makes perfect sense -- but Aunt Em and Evilene, the Wicked Witch, being played by the same performer is just bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 105September 25, 2023 7:11 PM

There were two reasons to combine Em and Glinda in that tour. First, the obvious one being that you're eliminating one actor that does one scene, one song and then is gone from the show. Second, there were people who believed that Bridgewater did not deserve the Tony so they beefed her part up on the road. Truthfully, if I was the one voting, I would have given the award to Mabel King for Evillene and she wasn't even nominated.

by Anonymousreply 106September 25, 2023 7:22 PM

The LaJolla Wiz was a disaster, which is why it never moved. I remember McAnuff used those inflatable wind socks with eyes (the shit you see at gas stations and 'going out of business') as a part of the set design.

by Anonymousreply 107September 25, 2023 7:56 PM

R96 So when they make the movie with Glenn they'll refer to Norma as 70? "There's nothing tragic about being 70, not unless you try to be 17."

by Anonymousreply 108September 25, 2023 8:01 PM

Caption this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109September 25, 2023 8:19 PM

R109, “Smell my finger”

by Anonymousreply 110September 25, 2023 8:48 PM

I like Tammy's costume...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111September 25, 2023 8:59 PM

R108 I wonder if ALW will cast Scherzinger in the film version. He seems to have a bit of a hard-on for her. It would be in keeping with his tendency to fuck over (according to Patti Lupone) his leading ladies and pit them against each other, etc. Glenn is getting too old to do the film, if it ever gets made (which I doubt). She could probably pull it off, but at this point it sounded like things were starting to happen with it 5 years ago, but it hasn't moved any further ahead that I am aware of. This could well end up being Glenn's equivalent of Faye Dunaway's sad hopes with Master Class getting made into a film, with her starring.

by Anonymousreply 112September 25, 2023 9:28 PM

In 1975, I met a nice school teacher from the Bronx at the St. Marks Baths. After the sex, we talked for quite a while and found we had a lot in common. I bravely asked him if he would consider having a "date" with me, and he said yes. So I got house seats to THE WIZ, and we did dinner and the show. I remember exactly where we sat, and I remember exactly how much I loved the show. I also remember his reaction to the performance: meh! I never saw him again.

It's strange how the memory of a beautiful show keeps the memory of a dud date alive.

by Anonymousreply 113September 25, 2023 9:28 PM

My memory of The Wiz was that it looked exceedingly cheap, like a community theater production.

by Anonymousreply 114September 25, 2023 9:31 PM

I saw The Wiz on Broadway fairly late in the run. Stephanie was still in it, though. I thought it was fairly fun if kinda tired (ditto, R114). Then Stephanie came out alone, stood in a spotlight and absolutely sang the living crap out of Home. Totally worth the ticket just for that.

by Anonymousreply 115September 25, 2023 9:34 PM

R112, I can't believe you or anyone still thinks there's ANY chance in hell that a film of SUNSET BOULEVARD starring Glenn Close will be made. I myself doubt any film version of that garbagey show will ever happen, but if it does, it certainly won't be with her starring.

by Anonymousreply 116September 25, 2023 9:58 PM

[quote]This could well end up being Glenn's equivalent of Faye Dunaway's sad hopes with Master Class getting made into a film, with her starring.

See also: Babs' "Gypsy."

by Anonymousreply 117September 25, 2023 11:01 PM

A friend and I went to see Sherlock Holmes at the Broadhurst. We came out on the most unbelievable Broadway high and we went next door to the Majestic and got tickets to The Wiz. After Sherlock Holmes it was the biggest let down imaginable.

by Anonymousreply 118September 25, 2023 11:15 PM

[quote] Second, there were people who believed that Bridgewater did not deserve the Tony so they beefed her part up on the road.

They'd be correct.

The nominees that year for acting were very odd. All the categories had at least 5 nominees (excepting Best Lead Actress in a Musical), with most bursting to six. And some of them were negligible, at best. The fact that neither Mills nor King were nominated, and chaff like Kelly Garrett and Donna Theodore getting in instead makes no sense. I'm certain the stupid rule about billing kept Mills from competing in the lead category, where there was plenty of room, but as fabulous as Bridgewater was on her one song, King was the real deal, giving a terrific comedic performance and tearing the roof off her song.

by Anonymousreply 119September 25, 2023 11:35 PM

R119, slight correction. Glinda had two songs, A Rested Body and Believe in Yourself. King's appearance being dragged in by the slaves in Oz caused the audiences to scream.

by Anonymousreply 120September 25, 2023 11:48 PM

I saw the national tour of "The Wiz" in Boston in 1977 starring Wren Woods as Dorothy (it was fantastic), and I sort of recall the same actress did play both Aunt Em and Evilene back then too. I think I recall it because it was a strange kind of doubling off such different characters, but it may be a common practice with the show.

I love the show and the score is full of good songs. I recently have been listening to the wonderful Scarecrow song, "I Was Born on the Day Before Yesterday" which is so sweet and that beautiful keyboard intro.

by Anonymousreply 121September 26, 2023 12:07 AM

Oh man, Ren Woods had such a fantastic voice. She should have been much more successful.

by Anonymousreply 122September 26, 2023 12:09 AM

r121, that was the national tour with Dee Dee. Ella Mitchell played Evillene and they had many of the Broadway cast but Mabel already went on to What's Happening and Addaperle was Vivian Bonnell whose name may not be familiar but you would know her face from her numerous guest appearances.

by Anonymousreply 123September 26, 2023 12:33 AM

Mabel on Opening Night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124September 26, 2023 12:36 AM

I'm trying to find the story about Clarice Taylor and Thelma Carpenter working on the same production, one being the other's understudy or standby, and them not getting along. I believe it was Taylor who had the role and Carpenter was her standby. Taylor got to the theater late, and Carpenter was already in her costume and ready to go and they had a fight about who would go on. Nothing comes up on IBDB but it may not have been Broadway. Anyone know?

by Anonymousreply 125September 26, 2023 12:38 AM

R125, I'd rather find out about how Butterfly McQueen was. Her part was cut out of town but she still understudied Taylor and she certainly seems like a good fit for the role.

by Anonymousreply 126September 26, 2023 12:41 AM

I can't imagine how bad she had to be for Clarice Taylor to replace her. Clarice sounds like she's on her last legs on the cast recording.

by Anonymousreply 127September 26, 2023 12:43 AM

There was a kid's show on Sunday mornings in the Tri-state area for many years called Wonderama. I remember as a very young boy watching it religiously. (I even got to be in the audience one episode and got picked to play a game.) They had on the cast of The Wiz during its first year on Broadway and they came to perform a song. (I'm sure it was Ease on Down the Road.) I was absolutely fascinated by them and I begged and pleaded with my parents to take me into NYC to see the show. They refused, looking absolutely appalled that their child would be interested in musicals, and a black one at that. I got my much older cousins to take me to see it when we came up to visit a couple years later during the holidays.

by Anonymousreply 128September 26, 2023 12:49 AM

R128 Wonderama was syndicated to other Metromedia local stations…in LA it was KTTV-11. I watched it faithfully…those NYC kids had attitude….and I remember Stephanie Millls quite clearly. Thx for that.

by Anonymousreply 129September 26, 2023 1:00 AM

Stephanie Mills slayed as Aunt Em in the tv version.

by Anonymousreply 130September 26, 2023 1:08 AM

Oh, was it, R129? I didn't know. That's interesting. I grew up in Florida, but we were in the NY/NJ area a lot because my mother's family all lived there. It most definitely didn't air in South Florida, so I just assumed it was a local show. I guess we didn't have a Metromedia station down there. Our big kids show was called The Skipper Chuck Show.

The Wiz was the only Broadway show I saw until I moved to NYC as a teenager. Funnily enough, after my parents moved back up to NJ, I would take my mom to see shows a few times a year. She loved it. The first thing I took her to see was Starlight Express (her choice, I was appalled, but actually had a good time).

I remember being so fascinated by the local NY/NJ channels as a kid. I always thought they showed much better stuff in the afternoons than the ones in Florida. I can remember my first exposure to horror tv movies was through the 4:30 movie.

by Anonymousreply 131September 26, 2023 1:09 AM

[Quote] I got my much older cousins to take me

Hot.

by Anonymousreply 132September 26, 2023 5:29 AM

Relax, R132, they were female.

by Anonymousreply 133September 26, 2023 6:33 AM

Was Sonny Fox still the host of Wonderama in the 1970s? He was quite the hot daddy when he hosted the show back in the 1950s.

by Anonymousreply 134September 26, 2023 9:45 AM

No. It was Bob McAllister

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135September 26, 2023 10:13 AM

Thank you R111, for the photo of Ms. Grimes, as Elvira in High Spirits. I love the score to that show. How I wish Encores! had put it up years ago (when I had a subscription to the series).

I've never seen the musical, my parents owned the album. I was already a fan of the music when the original "Equalizer" TV show started. Mom casually informed me that the man starring as Robert McCall (Edward Woodward) was Charles on that album.

I think it took a few minutes for me to "get" that some actors had a big range of talent...

by Anonymousreply 136September 26, 2023 10:44 AM

[quote] Joan will always deserve credit in the world of Noel Coward fans

That's as may be, but in Cole Lesley's biography he informs us that when young Joan was in a play actually directed by Coward she annoyed him so often about billing her at the end of the cast, preceded by "AND" in a box, that eventually he rounded on her and said, "If I hear another word out of you, I will bill you at the end after "BUT" in a box!"

by Anonymousreply 137September 26, 2023 2:17 PM

R137. That story has been attributed to many different actors and playwrights—probably stretching back to Aeschylus and Thespis

by Anonymousreply 138September 26, 2023 2:19 PM

[quote]That story has been attributed to many different actors and playwrights—probably stretching back to Aeschylus and Thespis

I have never heard that story before, with any attribution, but I have to say it's quite hilarious, and it certainly does sound like something that the wonderfully witty Coward would have said

by Anonymousreply 139September 26, 2023 2:22 PM

R138, Joan worked for them, as well.

by Anonymousreply 140September 26, 2023 2:22 PM

I think I read it attributed to Shaw as well.

by Anonymousreply 141September 26, 2023 2:31 PM

Cole Lesley was a daily presence in Coward's life and the rest of the book appears credible, so I'm going with his account. It sounds exactly like Coward to me.

Did Shaw direct his own plays? Because if not, how would he have control over how actors were billed?

by Anonymousreply 142September 26, 2023 2:41 PM

Bea Lilly's performance in High Spirits drove Coward crazy yet the audience loved her in it. Reminds me of seeing Two by Two with Danny Kaye. Rodgers was furious but the audience loved that he had turned it into The Danny Kaye Show. Very unprofessional but a lot of fun. Even Jerry Lewis played Damn Yankees straight.

by Anonymousreply 143September 26, 2023 2:42 PM

Jerry Lewis turned the show into his club act towards the end of his tenure as Applegate.

by Anonymousreply 144September 26, 2023 3:05 PM

[quote]Bea Lilly's performance

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 145September 26, 2023 3:31 PM

Well Lewis was probably starting to get bored.

by Anonymousreply 146September 26, 2023 3:34 PM

As I recall, Coward wasn't upset with her performance (after all, if you hired Lillie for a show, this is what you got; he'd known her for years). It was that she was entering into the first stages of dementia and would frequently forget lines. I saw her in HS and hadn't realized her genius until then. She was divine.

by Anonymousreply 147September 26, 2023 4:24 PM

I can't quite imagine in GB Shaw's day any actors were ever billed with "and" and their name in a box.

by Anonymousreply 148September 26, 2023 4:40 PM

Such as . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149September 26, 2023 4:53 PM

I was very underwhelmed by Lillie in HS. She was very - twee. Maybe I was just too young to appreciate her. I was overwhelmed, however, with the other three leads, Tammy Grimes, Edward Woodward and Louise Troy. They were all fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 150September 26, 2023 5:04 PM

If you’re not moved by Be a Lion from The Wiz you should see a doctor cuz you might be dead already. I mean, c’mon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151September 26, 2023 6:29 PM

I think the score of The Wiz is somewhere between the Chitlin Circuit and a negro spiritual revival which is perfectly valid.

by Anonymousreply 152September 26, 2023 6:31 PM

Was there ever any chance of Stephanie doing the movie version before Diana butted in? They did cast Ted Ross and Mabel King.

by Anonymousreply 153September 26, 2023 6:38 PM

Well, Lillie was Tony nominated for HS; Grimes was not. BIG year with Streisand, Channing, Swenson in competition. Not even room for Carol Burnett.

by Anonymousreply 154September 26, 2023 6:50 PM

Ross was fantastic in the film version of The Wiz, no matter what the reviews of the film itself. I certainly would have nominated him for an Oscar over Jack Warden doing nothing in Heaven Can Wait.

by Anonymousreply 155September 26, 2023 7:02 PM

[quote]Ross was fantastic in the film version of The Wiz

Why, thank you!

by Anonymousreply 156September 26, 2023 7:08 PM

[quote]Not even room for Carol Burnett

She knows why.

by Anonymousreply 157September 26, 2023 7:10 PM

Diane, while I don't share everyone else's hatred of your performance in The Wiz, fantastic is a (poppy) field afar.

by Anonymousreply 158September 26, 2023 7:12 PM

Jack Warden gave the performance of his career in "Heaven Can Wait". The ending with Warden crushed me.

by Anonymousreply 159September 26, 2023 7:12 PM

Pearl Bailey turned all of the revival of Hello Dolly into her nightclub act.

by Anonymousreply 160September 26, 2023 7:19 PM

Not a great week last week for a lot of shows—who's closing first?

Kimberly Akimbo—$516,983

Purlie Victorious—$259,603 (!!!)

Hadestown—$552,990

Here Lies Love—$577,876

Some Like It Hot—$681,485

But Merrily We Roll Along coming in strong with $1,304,508 from 6 performances.

by Anonymousreply 161September 26, 2023 7:29 PM

[quote]Merrily We Roll Along coming in strong with $1,304,508 from 6 performances.

The combination of the lure of Sondheim plus one tremendous film and theater star, one big theater and film star, and one big theater star in the leads is obviously VERY potent, at least in the short term. It will be interesting to see if the huge box office receipts for MERRILY keep up, or if there is a big drop-off after a few months like there was with INTO THE WOODS.

As for the numbers for the other shows $516,983 for KIMBERLY is a lot less dire than $577,876 for HERE LIES LOVE, given what the comparative running costs of those two shows must be.

by Anonymousreply 162September 26, 2023 7:47 PM

Is Purlie heavily papered because my friend saw it and said theatre was pretty full. She also loved it (she paid).

by Anonymousreply 163September 26, 2023 7:54 PM

Merrily We Roll Along is finally a hit after forty-two years, and I'll wager a review-proof one.

by Anonymousreply 164September 26, 2023 8:11 PM

[quote]Merrily We Roll Along is finally a hit after forty-two years, and I'll wager a review-proof one.

Aren't you counting your chickens before...., r164?

by Anonymousreply 165September 26, 2023 8:18 PM

Anything can be a hit with the right stars.

TPTB keep saying that stars do not matter anymore, but many people will still go watch a notable person in something, movie or stage show.

Especially if they're cute.

by Anonymousreply 166September 26, 2023 8:21 PM

Into the Woods grosses would t have dropped had Sara stayed in.

Stephanie sang the role really well and is a great actress, but she’s not a star.

by Anonymousreply 167September 26, 2023 8:24 PM

[quote]Aren't you counting your chickens before....

I looked online and they've sold a lot of tickets already.

by Anonymousreply 168September 26, 2023 8:27 PM

[quote]I looked online and they've sold a lot of tickets already.

Opening big doesn't necessarily mean a sustained hit.

by Anonymousreply 169September 26, 2023 8:31 PM

I wouldn't call Stephanie J Block a great actress. She's competent but I wouldn't want to see her play Blanche DuBois.

by Anonymousreply 170September 26, 2023 8:37 PM

Do you not understand the concept of "advance sales", r169?

Out of ALL the tickets they have, they've already sold A LOT of them, which means they can be a hit regardless of the reviews because there aren't tons of tickets they have left to sell.

by Anonymousreply 171September 26, 2023 8:37 PM

Is it a limited run, r171?

by Anonymousreply 172September 26, 2023 8:43 PM

Yes, it was a limited run originally set to end January 21st, but they've since extended to March 24th because THEY'VE ALREADY SOLD SO MANY TICKETS!

by Anonymousreply 173September 26, 2023 8:47 PM

Honey, relax.

by Anonymousreply 174September 26, 2023 8:52 PM

Too bad this is the revised version. If it were the original I would have been interested. The revised version at Encores was crap. The original Hal Prince production had the best use of a revolving stage I've seen since the original Jerome Robbins staging of Fiddler.

by Anonymousreply 175September 26, 2023 8:53 PM

Well, r173, I think we're just dealing in semantics here. I would argue that this is a financially successful...limited run. I wouldn't consider it a hit.

by Anonymousreply 176September 26, 2023 8:54 PM

Why are we pretending that this Merrily We Roll Along wasn't reviewed already? All the major critics reviewed it at NYTW. Short of it not holding a larger space, they already were pretty ecstatic about it.

by Anonymousreply 177September 26, 2023 8:58 PM

Thanks, r177. I was about to post the same thing. Those positive reviews were among the reasons they're selling SO MANY TICKETS!

by Anonymousreply 178September 26, 2023 10:45 PM

[quote]Anything can be a hit with the right stars.

"Moose Murders" with Meryl, Hugh Jackman, Barbra Streisand, and Tom Cruise!

by Anonymousreply 179September 26, 2023 11:03 PM

Even with the raves it's poised to get, I predict Purlie Victorious is going to be a hard sell.

by Anonymousreply 180September 26, 2023 11:05 PM

I think one thing PURLIE VICTORIOUS has going against it is that, apparently, many people are mistaking this for a revival of the musical.

by Anonymousreply 181September 26, 2023 11:41 PM

R181-I think you're right, I thought I read somewhere that they're reviving the musical?

I'm a little surprised they're reviving this. Does anyone know if it's the original script? I mean talk about the opposite of woke.

I saw the movie on TV many years ago. I know the plantation owner is portrayed as a villain, but IIRC, he walks around with a whip and threatens to whip the Lutiebell character and the Godfrey Cambridge character (Purlie's cousin?), and I think he even whips his butt in one scene? Maybe they cut that scene and/or did some rewriting?

by Anonymousreply 182September 26, 2023 11:54 PM

The revival of " Purlie" will have a much different subtext, especially between Lutiebelle and the master:

Throughout the narrative, the white partners are incapable of recognizing, or naming, their partners race, rather it is because of guilt, or because they get defensive. The play makes whiteness, and white privilege, hyper visible in interracial relationships.

by Anonymousreply 183September 27, 2023 12:50 AM

[quote]Merrily We Roll Along is finally a hit after forty-two years, and I'll wager a review-proof one.

Sondheimites will keep it going for 12 to 18 weeks as with all Sondheim shows.

by Anonymousreply 184September 27, 2023 12:56 AM

r184, Are you the same loon who says "Sondheimite" in every thread? Aren't you as bored of it as we are with you?

by Anonymousreply 185September 27, 2023 1:36 AM

[quote]The revival of " Purlie" will have a much different subtext, especially between Lutiebelle and the master:

If nobody's singing, "I Got Love" I ain't going.

by Anonymousreply 186September 27, 2023 1:44 AM

Ditto, r186.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187September 27, 2023 2:03 AM

It really is something when a decade old production of one of Sondheim's weaker shows (love the score, but the book is weak), could be a surprise hit. Maybe Maria Friedman should try directing Pacific Overtures next.

by Anonymousreply 188September 27, 2023 4:07 AM

In his most recent memoir, Jack O'Brien, who directed Jerry Lewis in that DAMN YANKEES, writes admiringly, even fondly of him and his work in the show. Interesting reading.

by Anonymousreply 189September 27, 2023 4:08 AM

What did he say about Jarrod Emick?

by Anonymousreply 190September 27, 2023 4:16 AM

Here's how you make big bucks on Broadway: Die.

Jonathan Larson -- RENT

And Stephen Sondheim has the biggest grosses of his career -- SWEENEY and MERRILY -- after he dies.

If you want to make zillions -- die.

by Anonymousreply 191September 27, 2023 4:21 AM

[quote]If you want to make zillions -- die.

No shit.

by Anonymousreply 192September 27, 2023 4:43 AM

Original orchestrations? You think producers today spend money on musicians? It will sound like some rinky dink community band on Memorial day playing lesser known Sondheim. Which is most of his work.

And the original Pacific Overtures might be the greatest Broadway show I've seen or hope to see. Have never had any desire to see it since then. You are always burned when you see a revival of one of those works. Though I liked the Hearn, Kaye Sweeney.

by Anonymousreply 193September 27, 2023 5:28 AM

R191, My death got my wife a talk show gig.

by Anonymousreply 194September 27, 2023 7:44 AM

R194 Mary Jo, I can't believe you just said that!

by Anonymousreply 195September 27, 2023 7:53 AM

[quote]No shit. —Paul Gauguin

Thanks for the advice Paul!

by Anonymousreply 196September 27, 2023 8:32 AM

Sweeney Todd is not a hit because Sondheim died. It’s a hit because of Josh Groban/Annaleigh Ashford.

Merrily is not a hit because Sondheim died, it’s a hit because of Groff/Radcliff

Into The Woods was a hit because of Sara.

by Anonymousreply 197September 27, 2023 10:30 AM

I never saw a penny. So who got the money?

by Anonymousreply 198September 27, 2023 12:26 PM

R198, Your gay nephew, Bruce Van Gogh.

by Anonymousreply 199September 27, 2023 1:11 PM

[quote]I never saw a penny. So who got the money?

[quote]—V. VanGogh

Wasn't me.

by Anonymousreply 200September 27, 2023 1:17 PM

[quote]Here's how you make big bucks on Broadway: Die.

No one mourns the wicked.

by Anonymousreply 201September 27, 2023 1:22 PM

Vince that one painting made you millions so I don't know what you're bitching about.

by Anonymousreply 202September 27, 2023 1:40 PM

Have we discussed?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203September 27, 2023 1:42 PM

This is.... odd.

I did not care for the movie, frankly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204September 27, 2023 1:43 PM

R204 judging by that poster, did they change the main character into a woman?

by Anonymousreply 205September 27, 2023 1:46 PM

[quote]Vince that one painting made you millions so I don't know what you're bitching about.

But, I was DEAD!!! DEAD!!! DEAD!!!

[quote]It is estimated that van Gogh made only around 800 euros from the sale of his paintings during his lifetime. In today’s money, that would be equivalent to around 8,000 euros. However, after his death, his paintings rapidly increased in value and today they are worth hundreds of millions of euros.

by Anonymousreply 206September 27, 2023 1:52 PM

Taran Killam was hilarious in the Jake Gyllenhaal / Ellen Greene "Little Shop Of Horrors" concert as Orin Scrivello D.D.S.

by Anonymousreply 207September 27, 2023 1:53 PM

So is The Wiz becoming the new Follies here? Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 208September 27, 2023 2:53 PM

[quote]Though I liked the Hearn, Kaye Sweeney.

I know who you meant, but for a second I had a vision of Kaye Ballard as Mrs. Lovett.

by Anonymousreply 209September 27, 2023 4:11 PM

Betty Boop...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210September 27, 2023 4:23 PM

[quote]Taran Killam was hilarious in the Jake Gyllenhaal / Ellen Greene "Little Shop Of Horrors" concert as Orin Scrivello D.D.S.

Okay, I guess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211September 27, 2023 4:24 PM

Love the Betty Boop nod to Sweet Charity....Nice

by Anonymousreply 212September 27, 2023 4:26 PM

How about theater producers surprise the audience and NOT always cast black actors in traditionally white roles? It's become too predictable. It's no longer " ground-breaking."

by Anonymousreply 213September 27, 2023 4:27 PM

R213, Blame it on David Merrick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214September 27, 2023 4:33 PM

R213 -

Esther Lee "Baby Esther" Jones, a Black Chicago woman and well-known singer of the 1920s, is the initial inspiration for the cartoon character, Betty Boop, who first appeared in the 1930s.

The more you know.

by Anonymousreply 215September 27, 2023 4:37 PM

Sure, hon. And Marsha threw the first brick.

by Anonymousreply 216September 27, 2023 4:46 PM

r215...

[quote]Betty Boop made her first appearance in the cartoon Dizzy Dishes, released on August 9, 1930, the seventh installment in Fleischer's Talkartoon series. Inspired by a popular performing style, but not by any one specific person, the character was originally created as an anthropomorphic French poodle. Clara Bow is often given credit as being the inspiration for Boop, though Fleischer told his artists that he wanted a caricature of singer Helen Kane, who performed in a style shared by many performers of the day–Kane was also the one who sued Fleischer over the signature "Boop Oop a Doop" line. Betty Boop appeared as a supporting character in ten cartoons as a flapper girl with more heart than brains. In individual cartoons, she was called "Nancy Lee" or "Nan McGrew"—derived from the Helen Kane film Dangerous Nan McGrew (1930)—usually serving as a girlfriend to studio star Bimbo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217September 27, 2023 5:15 PM

Who said Betty Boop was white?

by Anonymousreply 218September 27, 2023 5:18 PM

[quote]Who said Betty Boop was white?

Max Fleischer

by Anonymousreply 219September 27, 2023 5:19 PM

Where? When?

by Anonymousreply 220September 27, 2023 5:20 PM

Betty's only appearance in color...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221September 27, 2023 5:24 PM

The character was created as a anthropomorphic dog. You could argue in one cartoon she may have been German Jewish. In another with Cab Calloway you could argue she’s Black. The point being that it is not specified, there is no canon and the producers of the new show cast the lead as they liked.

Go away, bigot.

by Anonymousreply 222September 27, 2023 5:27 PM

Casting a black woman in a role originally conceived as white has turned into the biggest cliche in contemporary theatre.

by Anonymousreply 223September 27, 2023 6:05 PM

[quote]In another with Cab Calloway you could argue she’s Black.

But, r222...she's Snow White.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224September 27, 2023 6:13 PM

*This* is how black people were depicted in cartoons. I don't have an issue with whoever plays her, but the original Betty Boop was white.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225September 27, 2023 6:17 PM

Just cut the crap, Klan Granny. Go masturbate on another thread.

by Anonymousreply 226September 27, 2023 6:30 PM

That's the DL loon we all know and despise- jump to screaming KLAN GRANNY and shut down all conversation.

You're an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 227September 27, 2023 6:35 PM

Incidentally, I recently watched WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT, which features a cameo by Betty Boop, which got me curious about he, so I Googled her.

I was shocked to learn that all of her short films (90 of them) were released in the 1930s. Nothing afterward. Except for two half-hour TV specials in the 1980s. That's it.

For some reason, I thought she was like CASPER THE FRIENDLY GHOST and they kept revising her character every generation.

by Anonymousreply 228September 27, 2023 6:54 PM

[quote]It really is something when a decade old production of one of Sondheim's weaker shows (love the score, but the book is weak), could be a surprise hit. Maybe Maria Friedman should try directing Pacific Overtures next.

Despite the party line you're being handed by some of the critics and others, this production is a hit NOT because of Friedman's direction but primarily due to the star casting. In fact, IMHO, it's a hit more in spite of her direction than because of it.

by Anonymousreply 229September 27, 2023 7:17 PM

What's going on at Golden Rainbow? Is Walter Marks funding a new complete cast recording that includes all the cut songs? Did Max Von Essen recover? Will Marilyn Maye drop in and sing her chart of the title song in her original key?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230September 27, 2023 7:18 PM

[quote]So is The Wiz becoming the new Follies here? Oh dear.

Well no one will sing "Ease On Down The Road" as well as Dorothy Collins!

by Anonymousreply 231September 27, 2023 7:20 PM

No —not all discussion. Just the bigoted bullshit. And by that mean the shit you’re shoveling.

by Anonymousreply 232September 27, 2023 7:22 PM

Try as you may you can't rewrite history, r232.

by Anonymousreply 233September 27, 2023 7:26 PM

Marilyn Maye = leather lungs

by Anonymousreply 234September 27, 2023 7:30 PM

[quote] No —not all discussion. Just the bigoted bullshit. And by that mean the shit you’re shoveling.

I'm not the person discussing the topic on here, just someone reading the comments and letting you know you're blowing everything way out of proportion. No one is being racist about the topic. You're just an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 235September 27, 2023 8:14 PM

Will Steve Lawrence make a surprise visit to Golden Rainbow?

by Anonymousreply 236September 27, 2023 10:00 PM

R236 I have it on good authority that Ricky Martin will be attending Golden Shower

by Anonymousreply 237September 27, 2023 10:09 PM

Well, you can't have a Golden Rainbow, without a Golden Shower, so . . .

by Anonymousreply 238September 27, 2023 10:11 PM

It would seem to be that Betty Boop is the new Follies!

by Anonymousreply 239September 27, 2023 10:13 PM

R236. Over my dead body

by Anonymousreply 240September 27, 2023 10:38 PM

r240 Who?

by Anonymousreply 241September 27, 2023 10:46 PM

Betty Boop played a lot on NY stations when I was a boy. She kind of frightened me. She was voiced by Mae Questal the film Mrs Strakosh in Funny Girl. She also did Olive Oyl.

By the way Merrick was criticized about the black Pearl Bailey Hello Dolly from people calling it a minstrel show. Being David Merrick he didn't give a shit.

A favorite story of mine was Bailey would have endless curtain calls. One night a musician got fed up with it and could be loudly heard from the pit saying something like 'Oh for Christ's sake get on with it!' He was just required to apologize to her. Don't know if she wanted to have him fired or couldn't be because the musician's union was so strong then.

by Anonymousreply 242September 27, 2023 10:53 PM

Jonathan Tunick speaks to Michael Riedel about his work with Sondheim, including on the upcoming Here We Are... (well... he can't say much about it due to confidentiality agreements)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243September 27, 2023 11:17 PM

[quote]By the way Merrick was criticized about the black Pearl Bailey Hello Dolly from people calling it a minstrel show.

I don't remember that, r242. It was the same show as Channing's.

by Anonymousreply 244September 27, 2023 11:22 PM

Dr. Strangelove coming in 2024!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245September 27, 2023 11:22 PM

Who are the Slim Pickenses of today?

by Anonymousreply 246September 27, 2023 11:28 PM

Yes but all the entire white cast was replaced by an entirely black one. A gimmick some people did not like.

by Anonymousreply 247September 27, 2023 11:29 PM

[quote]A favorite story of mine was Bailey would have endless curtain calls.

I don't think she did endless curtain calls, but she did famously do a "third act" of the show every night -- after the curtain calls -- wherein she bantered with the audience for a while.

by Anonymousreply 248September 27, 2023 11:31 PM

The only complaints about the Pearl Bailey Hello Dolly! were on DataLounge 1969.

by Anonymousreply 249September 27, 2023 11:34 PM

[quote]Yes but all the entire white cast was replaced by an entirely black one. A gimmick some people did not like.

I think you're misremembering. Maybe the replaced cast members had a beef, but an integrated Dolly wouldn't have flown in 1967.

by Anonymousreply 250September 27, 2023 11:36 PM

Maybe some people didn't like it, but a lot more did. It was a huge success and incredibly fun. I saw it and you can hear the joy on the cast album.

Maybe someone can conform, but I think Bailey did a Dolly tour later on that was integrated. A white friend claims he was in the chorus, but he's been known to fib.

by Anonymousreply 251September 28, 2023 12:05 AM

R251 it's referenced above. It was around 1975 was integrated and had Billy Daniels as Horace. Bailey broke character so often it became the Pearl Bailey show.

by Anonymousreply 252September 28, 2023 12:10 AM

Well, the production was smack dab in the middle of the very volatile years of the civil rights movement. Bailey's version was during the assassinations of MLK and RFK. It's certainly possible that there were people out there who thought the show was taking that movement backwards, as they saw an all-black cast in an old fashioned show as being akin to the days of minstrels (which was certainly not Hello, Dolly, but people then AND NOW have a way of looking at things inflexibly).

I can understand how people (of any race) who were so committed and passionate about the Civil Rights movement would think- what a step back.

by Anonymousreply 253September 28, 2023 1:02 AM

Actually, r253, the reality is that it employed more black performers than if it had been integrated. Nobody looked at it as a step back then nor did they when there was the black Guys and Dolls.

by Anonymousreply 254September 28, 2023 1:25 AM

[quote]How about theater producers surprise the audience and NOT always cast black actors in traditionally white roles? It's become too predictable. It's no longer " ground-breaking."

What are you complaining about? Betty Boop was originally a dog.

by Anonymousreply 255September 28, 2023 2:17 AM

Purlie reviews mostly raves. Will it sell now?

by Anonymousreply 256September 28, 2023 2:21 AM

[quote]What are you complaining about? Betty Boop was originally a dog. - Lassie.

And YOU were a male. You fucking fake.

[quote]: All nine Lassies have been male dogs. Mature female collies go into heat twice a year and shed a large part of their coats during that time. That ruins the dog’s appearance for as much as a third of the year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257September 28, 2023 2:31 AM

[quote]Dr. Strangelove coming in 2024!

Needs to be a musical. I've got the closing number.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258September 28, 2023 2:36 AM

[quote]All nine Lassies have been male dogs

Not true! Everyone who ever worked with Lassie said she was a real bitch!

Or was that Helen Lawson ...

by Anonymousreply 259September 28, 2023 2:57 AM

[quote] Actually, [R253], the reality is that it employed more black performers than if it had been integrated. Nobody looked at it as a step back then nor did they when there was the black Guys and Dolls.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all. I'm just trying to pose some plausible scenarios for why there was a backlash against that production of the show.

by Anonymousreply 260September 28, 2023 3:01 AM

R246, the role Slim Pickens played will probably cast with Black actor David Harewood since he was so believable as William F. Buckley on the London stage earlier this year.

by Anonymousreply 261September 28, 2023 3:17 AM

Fuck off 261.

by Anonymousreply 262September 28, 2023 3:19 AM

Can you link to the "backlash", you refer to, r260? I'm over a decade older than you are and I don't remember anything like that.

by Anonymousreply 263September 28, 2023 3:19 AM

Pearl had a successful run, won a special Tony and recorded a new cast album. If there was backlash it certainly didn't hurt Pearl or the show.

by Anonymousreply 264September 28, 2023 3:24 AM

[quote] Can you link to the "backlash", you refer to, [R260]? I'm over a decade older than you are and I don't remember anything like that.

I didn't make the claim of backlash. I was just responding to the person who said that there was. I don't know that there was as it was before my time, but the claim of the person who made it seemed like something they remembered specifically, and that it was not from a racist point of view, but from the view of activists who thought it was setting the civil rights movement back. I was just offering possible reasons for those views.

by Anonymousreply 265September 28, 2023 3:50 AM

[quote]Too bad this is the revised version. If it were the original I would have been interested. The revised version at Encores was crap.

Bizarre!

The first order of business was to jettison the super fun and not broken "Rich & Happy" from near the top of Act I! WTF? It actually worked perfectly well, even in 1981! The new awful number called "Oh, Frank" or some bullshit doesn't even sound like a Sondheim song. Sondheim was always able to write dreck and lose sight of his own work the same as every other songwriter, but this has to be the clearest example of it!

by Anonymousreply 266September 28, 2023 3:57 AM

Nobody thought it set the movement back, r265.

by Anonymousreply 267September 28, 2023 4:00 AM

[quote] Nobody thought it set the movement back, [R265].

So I should ignore what the person upthread claimed because you tell me to?

Oh, okay.

by Anonymousreply 268September 28, 2023 4:08 AM

Believe whatever you want to, r268.

by Anonymousreply 269September 28, 2023 4:12 AM

[quote]Dr. Strangelove coming in 2024!

My precious bodily fluids are simmering in anticipation!

by Anonymousreply 270September 28, 2023 4:17 AM

[quote] Believe whatever you want to, [R268].

I don't necessarily believe or disbelieve either of you. But I absolutely find it plausible that there was a faction (however small or large) who looked at an all-Black Hello, Dolly in the thick of the civil rights movement as detrimental. I don't agree with it, but I can understand it surfacing. And unless you're the reincarnation of David Merrick, I'm not sure you can disprove it. Just because you never heard of it doesn't mean it didn't happen. And just because the poster upthread said it happened doesn't mean it did. I can just see it as a possibility.

by Anonymousreply 271September 28, 2023 4:36 AM

I like Coogan, but am dubious about even a non-musical stage adaptation of "Dr. Strangelove." What can the theater add that the movie lacks? And Russians aren't the best choice for comic adversaries right now...

by Anonymousreply 272September 28, 2023 4:45 AM

NYT reviews "Purlie Victorious":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273September 28, 2023 4:47 AM

Deadline:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274September 28, 2023 4:48 AM

[quote]But I absolutely find it plausible that there was a faction (however small or large) who looked at an all-Black Hello, Dolly in the thick of the civil rights movement as detrimental.

Fine, r271, believe what you want. I'm telling you I have no memory of that reaction and the other poster provided no link to prove his assertions. Finally it's idiotic to think it was a setback to the civil rights movement because an entirely black cast was getting to perform in the hottest show on Broadway. Again, believe what you want.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275September 28, 2023 4:53 AM

Fine, dear. Are you happy you got the last word, too?

by Anonymousreply 276September 28, 2023 5:06 AM

I have the Best of Enemies to watch, but to be honest, the casting of a black man as Buckley just seems fucking stupid.

by Anonymousreply 277September 28, 2023 5:24 AM

But and this is a big but Pearl was known to miss a few too many performances which infuriated Merrick because if she wasn't in it you got your money back and she made it a sell out. Not sure if this is correct but it was Thelma Carpenter who went on a few more times than she should have.

'She replaced Pearl Bailey more than 100 times and became the fully billed matinee star, with her name in all ads.'

I wish I had seen the '75 production. Maybe Bailey's record of showing up was better in that one.

by Anonymousreply 278September 28, 2023 7:47 AM

I hesitate to contribute more vague memories of a possible "backlash" to Pearl Bailey's "Hello, Dolly!," but I do recall reading a review of the production when it opened, and I'm pretty sure it was in the New York Times (so, maybe written by Clive Barnes?), that generally praised the show while noting that "at times it resembles 'Blackbirds of 1928.' " I was a young teenager at the time and had never heard of "Blackbirds of 1928" (a big hit in its day), so the line really jumped out at me, and I suspected it was not meant to be complimentary. It seemed to imply there was something retro, rather than progressive, about doing a musical with an all-black cast.

by Anonymousreply 279September 28, 2023 8:08 AM

R279 your vague memory is easily checked. If what you think is true, then you’d be able to find and share the original review from the online NYT archive. So you go do that and report back.

by Anonymousreply 280September 28, 2023 9:23 AM

It won’t matter the raves that Purlie gets.

Unless a play has a HUGE star, or is a new/classic masterpiece, they don’t sell.

by Anonymousreply 281September 28, 2023 9:34 AM

R279 go it it wrong. Clive Barnes wrote that going in he had his doubts about a non integrated black show-that the idea struck him as maybe offensive or patronizing….but then he says that was completely mistaken.

“But believe me, from the first to the last I was overwhelmed. Maybe Black Power is what some of the other musicals need.”

It was a rave…

by Anonymousreply 282September 28, 2023 9:35 AM

Another poster here who saw Pearl in DOLLY as a high schooler and loved the whole production and remember nothing in the press or Broadway gossip (which I followed rabidly even then) concerning issues of retro-racism or whatever. Audiences were ecstatic!

by Anonymousreply 283September 28, 2023 9:47 AM

Hello, Dolly! was embraced by LBJ and Lady Bird, first with Channing and then with Pearl.

Hello, Lyndon! became his 1964 campaign song.

They both attended the show more than once when Pearl was Dolly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284September 28, 2023 9:59 AM

Yea—it’s funny how some of these trolls just ‘misremember’ things when it suits them, in support of their half-assed posts.

by Anonymousreply 285September 28, 2023 11:03 AM

Or demand posters prove it didn't happen, rather than demand the person making the claim prove it did.

by Anonymousreply 286September 28, 2023 11:33 AM

Robbie Fairchild To Star In Stage Adaptation Of Oscar Winner ‘The Artist’:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287September 28, 2023 11:57 AM

I know this story has been told before and I hope it's true but here goes.... Thelma Carpenter was on for Dolly one night when Pearl showed up at the theatre thinking she could step in mid performance. Carpenter saw Pearl standing in the wings and figured out what was going on so she mouthed 'fuck you' and went on with the performance.

by Anonymousreply 288September 28, 2023 12:41 PM

I was in college when I saw Bailey's DOLLY on Broadway and can attest to the ecstatic reception it received. Had there been some major backlash against the production, I doubt I would have been aware of it; no social media to fan the flames. The times were different then. Had there been picketing outside the theater, I suspect we would have heard.

by Anonymousreply 289September 28, 2023 12:52 PM

Pearl was not known for her generosity to fellow performers. Ask Diahann Carroll (if you could) about losing a major song in HOUSE OF FLOWERS because Bailey grabbed it for herself.

by Anonymousreply 290September 28, 2023 12:54 PM

Merv Griffin, Barbara Walters, Lauren Bacall, Pearl Bailey . . . all gone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291September 28, 2023 1:06 PM

Hey - I was the secret weapon in that Pearl Bailey production

by Anonymousreply 292September 28, 2023 1:09 PM

r291 Where did they go?

by Anonymousreply 293September 28, 2023 1:54 PM

Gone Are the Days! (aka Purlie Victorious / The Man From C.O.T.T.O.N.) is a 1963 American comedy-drama film starring Ossie Davis, Ruby Dee and Godfrey Cambridge. It is based on the 1961 Broadway play Purlie Victorious, which was written by Davis.[1] Davis, Dee, Cambridge, Beah Richards, Alan Alda and Sorrell Booke reprised their roles from the play. This was also Alda's film debut.

A young, idealistic man returns home to the plantation where he grew up in servitude. With him, he brings his fiance, Lutiebelle, in hopes of convincing the plantation owner that she is really his cousin in order to secure the family inheritance. To aid in the comic complications that follow are his family members Missy and Gitlow, and the plantation owners endearing (but ineffectual) son Charlie. - Wikipedia/TCM Database

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294September 28, 2023 2:44 PM

we loved the show until toward the middle when Pearly Mae started to get uppity.

by Anonymousreply 295September 28, 2023 3:19 PM

So long, Tom Schumacher. Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

by Anonymousreply 296September 28, 2023 3:19 PM

[quote] Or demand posters prove it didn't happen, rather than demand the person making the claim prove it did.

No one has done that in this particular case.

by Anonymousreply 297September 28, 2023 3:22 PM

Thanks to whoever posted that story about Bailey and Carpenter. I had written earlier that I thought I'd remembered something similar between Carpenter and Clarice Taylor, but could find no incidence where they were in the same show together, so I knew I had one of the details wrong.

by Anonymousreply 298September 28, 2023 3:24 PM

[quote]Video: See Cast of Harmony Perform Songs From the Show

Thoughts?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299September 28, 2023 3:25 PM

More about Tom Schumacher, please! This is the first I'm hearing of this.

by Anonymousreply 300September 28, 2023 3:27 PM

Here you go.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301September 28, 2023 3:33 PM

Looks like the they are merely kicking him down the hall, not out the door.

by Anonymousreply 302September 28, 2023 3:35 PM

That Anne Quart person who was his assistant and will now succeed him (co-running with someone else) is a horrible person and has no vison or imagination. Why doesn't Disney get it together creatively and hire a genuine artist?

by Anonymousreply 303September 28, 2023 3:43 PM

This move is long overdue. His track record hasn't been the best.

by Anonymousreply 304September 28, 2023 3:43 PM

r301

[quote]I have made the decision to shift into a solely creative capacity by assuming the new role of DTG’s Chief Creative Officer. This role allows me to focus on the aspect of our work that is closest to my heart. I’ll continue to report to Alan Bergman in this capacity.”

[quote]Flatt will serve as EVP, Managing Director, with responsibility for DTG’s core strategy and business operations, including finance and technology, business and legal affairs, HR and DEI, labor relations, marketing, publicity, sales and education, merchandise, domestic touring and international partnerships, as well as general oversight of licensing globally, including long-standing relationships with partners like Feld Entertainment and Music Theatre International.

[quote]Quart will serve as EVP, Producing and Development, as well as Executive Producer on current and future shows, overseeing global slate from inception to execution.

So now three people will be running Disney Theatrical? I'm sure that won't create any corporate drama. Well, I say three, it's pretty obvious from the details that the role Quart is being given is pretty much a figurehead thing

by Anonymousreply 305September 28, 2023 3:53 PM

[quote]I didn't make the claim of backlash. I was just responding to the person who said that there was. I don't know that there was as it was before my time, but the claim of the person who made it seemed like something they remembered specifically, and that it was not from a racist point of view, but from the view of activists who thought it was setting the civil rights movement back. I was just offering possible reasons for those views.

R265, I understood exactly what you meant, and I'm sorry that some people are simply too stupid to get it.

by Anonymousreply 306September 28, 2023 4:55 PM

And those possible reasons offered weren’t accurate. That’s all.

by Anonymousreply 307September 28, 2023 5:05 PM

[quote]Fine, [R271], believe what you want. I'm telling you I have no memory of that reaction and the other poster provided no link to prove his assertions. Finally it's idiotic to think it was a setback to the civil rights movement because an entirely black cast was getting to perform in the hottest show on Broadway. Again, believe what you want.

R275, there is no polite way to tell you that you are an idiot if you don't believe ANYONE at the time objected to the all-black HELLO, DOLLY! as minstrelsy and/or on the grounds that the cast was entirely black, which certainly could be perceived as segregation. And AGAIN, this DOES NOT mean that I or anyone else here agree with those sentiments, but it's asinine to think that NO ONE at the time felt that way.

by Anonymousreply 308September 28, 2023 5:08 PM

Couldn't you take this particular discussion to the Heartstopper thread?

They live for this kind of shit.

by Anonymousreply 309September 28, 2023 5:10 PM

Fine, r308, as I've said...believe what you want. I remember when Pearl went into Dolly and I *don't* remember any kind of backlash. That was my lived experience.

by Anonymousreply 310September 28, 2023 5:16 PM

Find one for us—there’s whole web out there you can search. Name ‘em—just one.

by Anonymousreply 311September 28, 2023 5:18 PM

If you two don't take this ridiculous debate outside, I swear I will fill this thread with Follies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312September 28, 2023 5:28 PM

[quote]Yes but all the entire white cast was replaced by an entirely black one. A gimmick some people did not like.

Well, r247, Who *were* these people you refer to? Link?

by Anonymousreply 313September 28, 2023 5:31 PM

That's hardly a threat, r312

by Anonymousreply 314September 28, 2023 5:32 PM

BOOP is gonna be a yuuuge flop.

by Anonymousreply 315September 28, 2023 5:38 PM

This thread—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316September 28, 2023 5:52 PM

Moving along then!

by Anonymousreply 317September 28, 2023 5:54 PM

Who are the producers looking to move "Suffs" to Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 318September 28, 2023 5:56 PM

Now [italic] this [/italic] is a backlash. We all hate you both.

by Anonymousreply 319September 28, 2023 6:19 PM

We've moved on, r319.

by Anonymousreply 320September 28, 2023 6:28 PM

It is not two posters. Several keep alleging a scenario without any supporting evidence. Many others point out that lack of evidence and even provide info to the contrary. The end. Don’t be so dramatic

by Anonymousreply 321September 28, 2023 6:33 PM

Meet Betty Boop!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 322September 28, 2023 6:38 PM

I'm getting Jackee vibes from the actress playing Betty B. She certainly looks adorable.

by Anonymousreply 323September 28, 2023 6:43 PM

[quote]In BOOP!, Betty's dream of an ordinary day off from the super-celebrity in her black-and-white world leads to an adventure of color, music, and love in New York City—one that reminds her and the world, “You are capable of amazing things.”

Maybe this will be what New York, New York wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 324September 28, 2023 6:49 PM

From this LIFE magazine retrospective piece:

Interestingly, Bailey told LIFE that when she signed on as Dolly, she was not told anything about the racial composition of the rest of the cast. The choice to use only Black actors was not without its dissenters—including Frederick O’Neal, who was the first Black president of Actor’s Equity and felt that a mixed-race cast would be more in line with the goal of integration. LIFE also cited white critics who found the idea of an all-black cast condescending, and mentioned that some wondered if this might lead to an all-white Porgy and Bess.

Bailey’s response to LIFE was: “If anyone was worried about integration, why didn’t they worry about it at the time of the first Dolly?”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325September 28, 2023 6:49 PM

Team Pearl—

No push back

by Anonymousreply 326September 28, 2023 6:52 PM

Thank you, r325, I wasn't aware of that.

by Anonymousreply 327September 28, 2023 6:54 PM

R325, It was the ultimate stunt casting, something David Merrick excelled at.

According to Bruce Vilanch, Merrick toyed with the idea of Jack Benny playing Dolly to George Burns’ Horace.

by Anonymousreply 328September 28, 2023 7:25 PM

R328 Phyllis Diller said that. When the stunt casting didn't go through, he hired Diller.

by Anonymousreply 329September 28, 2023 7:28 PM

Hardly the *ultimate* stunt casting, r328, Pearl was perfectly suited for the role.

by Anonymousreply 330September 28, 2023 7:30 PM

R313 why don't you read the entire thread? You don't seem to have done that. The Clive Barnes review alone. Are you just making an effort to be dim?

by Anonymousreply 331September 28, 2023 7:47 PM

[quote]Interestingly, Bailey told LIFE that when she signed on as Dolly, she was not told anything about the racial composition of the rest of the cast. The choice to use only Black actors was not without its dissenters—including Frederick O’Neal, who was the first Black president of Actor’s Equity and felt that a mixed-race cast would be more in line with the goal of integration. LIFE also cited white critics who found the idea of an all-black cast condescending, and mentioned that some wondered if this might lead to an all-white Porgy and Bess.

Thanks, R325. I don't think ANYONE here suggested that there was any sort of a major backlash to the all-black HELLO, DOLLY! Nevertheless, several idiots in this thread have gone to the extreme and insisted that there were NO objections to the casting whatsoever, demanding proof in the form of at least one example. So thanks again for providing it.

by Anonymousreply 332September 28, 2023 7:50 PM

[quote]In BOOP!, Betty's dream of an ordinary day off from the super-celebrity in her black-and-white world leads to an adventure of color, music, and love in New York City—one that reminds her and the world, “You are capable of amazing things.”

A show that takes place in NYC? How imaginative!!! It's never been done. And, to top it off, female empowerment? Amazing!

by Anonymousreply 333September 28, 2023 8:03 PM

That’s a second-hand source. It’s not the original article.

by Anonymousreply 334September 28, 2023 8:07 PM

I don't think it has anything to do with female empowerment, r333. Sounds like it's more about being optimistic... like Annie.

by Anonymousreply 335September 28, 2023 8:09 PM

R334, just stop it.

by Anonymousreply 336September 28, 2023 8:11 PM

I’ll push back against implied or expressed bigotry where and when I choose, in my own way. Your beef is with those who started this with bigoted comments and not the rest of us. Thank uou..

by Anonymousreply 337September 28, 2023 8:23 PM

You know that song from Frozen, r337?

by Anonymousreply 338September 28, 2023 9:05 PM

FOLLIES!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339September 28, 2023 9:40 PM

[quote] I’ll push back against implied or expressed bigotry where and when I choose, in my own way. Your beef is with those who started this with bigoted comments and not the rest of us. Thank uou..

There haven't been any bigoted comments about the Hello, Dolly situation, only thoughtful discussion... with ONE exception. YOU.

by Anonymousreply 340September 28, 2023 9:49 PM

Florenz Ziegfeld Jr. attended performances, and purchased some of the content of Darktown Follies for use in Ziegfeld Follies

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 341September 28, 2023 9:51 PM

[quote]I’ll push back against implied or expressed bigotry where and when I choose, in my own way. Your beef is with those who started this with bigoted comments and not the rest of us.

That's an incredibly asinine comment, because however anyone feels about some people wondering if there was any backlash to the casting of the all-black HELLO, DOLLY!, there is literally nothing about doing so that indicates "bigotry."

by Anonymousreply 342September 28, 2023 10:08 PM

Read the entire thread, if you can read. TIA

by Anonymousreply 343September 28, 2023 10:13 PM

Sweetie, more than one person has told you there's been no bigotry in the Hello, Dolly conversation. Maybe you're misremembering, since we all know your memory ain't that sharp.

by Anonymousreply 344September 28, 2023 10:16 PM

Worst theater gossip thread ever.

by Anonymousreply 345September 28, 2023 10:28 PM

Gosh, if Betty Boop takes place in NYC do you think there could be a funny scene of harried NYers at rush hour cramming onto the subway and miming holding the handstraps as they all crush into Betty's boobs?

by Anonymousreply 346September 28, 2023 10:42 PM

Some Like it Hot posts closing notice.

December 30.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347September 28, 2023 11:29 PM

The bitchy YKW will start in 3…2…1

by Anonymousreply 348September 28, 2023 11:34 PM

[quote]Worst theater gossip thread ever.

Nah

by Anonymousreply 349September 28, 2023 11:44 PM

So when Baillie was replaced by dealer, did they fire the entire Black company? Did they rehire the prior White company?

by Anonymousreply 350September 29, 2023 12:16 AM

Bailey. Diller. Voice-typing

by Anonymousreply 351September 29, 2023 12:17 AM

I have to imagine that once Will Swenson's done on Oct. 29, A Beautiful Noise will also pack it up.

by Anonymousreply 352September 29, 2023 12:55 AM

ABN is doing decent numbers all of a sudden. But they'll never get a name to headline this shitshow.

by Anonymousreply 353September 29, 2023 1:02 AM

Do you think any of the alte kakers who are going to that have any idea who’s in it?

by Anonymousreply 354September 29, 2023 1:15 AM

[quote]Worst theater gossip thread ever.

[quote]Nah

Agree. Not even close, r349. Started really strong, right on time, great title. Got waylaid a bit in the middle there, but it's meandering back on track.

Sorry to hear about Some Like It Hot, but they had a good run, all things considered. I'm intrigued by Boop.

by Anonymousreply 355September 29, 2023 1:45 AM

[quote]Started really strong, right on time, great title.

Yeah, great title.

by Anonymousreply 356September 29, 2023 1:48 AM

It's okay. Seems better than it is only because the last several were positively terrible.

by Anonymousreply 357September 29, 2023 1:56 AM

The Great Gatsby at Paper Mill Playhouse begins with Jeremy Jordan removing his mask and singing, "I don't know about you, but I'm done with the Spanish flu."

It's certainly a choice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 358September 29, 2023 2:16 AM

Holy Christ, did the Simpsons writers create that?

by Anonymousreply 359September 29, 2023 2:24 AM

New Orleans!

by Anonymousreply 360September 29, 2023 2:32 AM

You're a dame and I'm a fella

Stanley stop or I'll tell Stella.

I hate every ape I see

From Chim Pan A to Chim Pan Zee!

Waaaaay better than this.

by Anonymousreply 361September 29, 2023 2:36 AM

R361, Is that you Marc Shaiman?

by Anonymousreply 362September 29, 2023 2:40 AM

[quote]Sorry to hear about Some Like It Hot, but they had a good run, all things considered.

I don't know what you mean by "all things considered," but your statement is not true. By present-day standards, a run of just over a year is NOT a "good run" for a new Broadway musical. Even back in the 1950s, a run of less than two years would have been considered disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 363September 29, 2023 3:02 AM

Marc Shaiman posted the following on social media:

"We just never took off at the box office enough to survive. It's a new, terrible world. Everyone thought it was such a hit, thinking it would be there forever, no rush, and now, well....If you want to see it, you have 13 weeks to do so."

That's an interesting way of looking at it, to say the least: "We're closing because people thought the show was a big hit so they didn't rush to buy tickets." Does he mean that if all those people who haven't seen the show yet had thought it WASN'T a hit, they would have bought tickets sooner?

Also, I'm not sure exactly what he means by "It's a new, terrible world," and though I think many of us would agree with him on that in some ways, I expect some producers of other shows would disagree.

by Anonymousreply 364September 29, 2023 3:40 AM

[quote]Sorry to hear about Some Like It Hot, but they had a good run, all things considered.

[quote]I don't know what you mean by "all things considered," but your statement is not true. By present-day standards, a run of just over a year is NOT a "good run" for a new Broadway musical. Even back in the 1950s, a run of less than two years would have been considered disappointing.

Well, I'll get right on that getting disappointed thing, R363. :)

I always assume people understand that most of what anyone posts here is opinion. My opinion was that SLIH had a pretty good run, meaning it exceeded my expectations of how long it would run.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 365September 29, 2023 3:58 AM

At the risk of changing the subject, MERRILY is doing very well indeed at the Hudson (a perfect theater for this show). If they could just get rid of the dross—everything with GUSSIE, I mean EVERYTHING—it would be a joy. The cast couldn't be better and seem to be having a helluva good time. Saw Maria Friedman giving tech notes after the show, so guess there could be some further tightening. The audience was highly enthusiastic without the banshee screaming that greets so many other shows. Can't wait to return .

PS. When did some theaters start serving drinks in glass containers? I kept tripping over glass cocktail glasses and champagne flutes between the rows. Accidents waiting to happen.

by Anonymousreply 366September 29, 2023 4:23 AM

Some Like It Hot is a C+ effort of a show. It should have been gone a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 367September 29, 2023 4:27 AM

[quote]My opinion was that SLIH had a pretty good run, meaning it exceeded my expectations of how long it would run.

Well, by that definition, your comment makes sense. But I don't think that's what's generally meant by "a good run," and I doubt that the people involved in the show would label it that way.

By the way, it was announced at the end of August that J. Harrison Ghee would be out of the show for at least six weeks for surgery. So I wonder if he'll return sometime in late October or November or whenever to finish out the run? And on that note, it can't have helped this show at the box office that it's one Tony winner in the acting categories had to be absent for all that time.

by Anonymousreply 368September 29, 2023 4:29 AM

[quote]My opinion was that SLIH had a pretty good run, meaning it exceeded my expectations of how long it would run.

[quote]Well, by that definition, your comment makes sense. But I don't think that's what's generally meant by "a good run," and I doubt that the people involved in the show would label it that way.

It's funny you would phrase it that way, because I've been involved in many shows, and I was always more than happy with a show than ran as long as SLIH. Take a little break, regroup, move on to the next show.

Sorry I wasn't clearer.

by Anonymousreply 369September 29, 2023 4:43 AM

By all accounts Phyllis Diller was wonderful in Dolly. I wish I had seen her and Pearl Bailey.

I've seen clips of Ginger Rogers who stank, imo. She's just a phoney actress. She opened the show in London so I guess she got people to buy tickets.

by Anonymousreply 370September 29, 2023 4:53 AM

The Tom Kirdahy School Of Producing.

by Anonymousreply 371September 29, 2023 4:58 AM

Ginger Rogers opened "Mame" in London; she was the second Dolly on Broadway, replacing Carol Channing. London Dolly was Mary Martin, succeeded by Dora Bryan.

by Anonymousreply 372September 29, 2023 5:05 AM

Ethel!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 373September 29, 2023 5:17 AM

[quote]Ginger Rogers opened "Mame" in London

I didn't know Angela Lansbury didn't do the original London transfer. I just always assumed she did.

by Anonymousreply 374September 29, 2023 5:39 AM

Did Angela go on tour in the states with Mame after her Broadway run?

by Anonymousreply 375September 29, 2023 5:46 AM

A friend did ushering for two perfs of Kimberly(her theater is dark.)

Once she did the mezz and said it was mostly empty. Second she was in the orch and it was 3/4 full.

by Anonymousreply 376September 29, 2023 5:50 AM

When I saw the Encores Merrily I was wondering why there was so much Gussie. It was a small role in the original and needed no expanding.

There must be quite a lot of people trying the lottery every day.

Too bad we'll never see the beautiful original again. But I may be the only one who feels that way.

by Anonymousreply 377September 29, 2023 5:56 AM

[quote] Did Angela go on tour in the states with Mame after her Broadway run?

Celeste Holm did the national tour. After Broadway, Angela played Mame in San Francisco and Los Angeles, something of a tryout for the film version.

by Anonymousreply 378September 29, 2023 6:47 AM

Anyone see the new Sondheim?

by Anonymousreply 379September 29, 2023 7:04 AM

[quote]Too bad we'll never see the beautiful original again. But I may be the only one who feels that way.

I feel that way, too. I even miss the graduation bookends. I dislike the way the show opens now. There's no longer a context for the song "Merrily We Roll Along."

by Anonymousreply 380September 29, 2023 9:02 AM

Catch Me If You Can was a much better Marc Shaiman musical than Some Like it Hot and it closed in five months.

If the version of Catch that opened in Seattle had made it to Broadway, it would have run much longer.

by Anonymousreply 381September 29, 2023 9:29 AM

So how much were the producers pouring into Hot every week after its opening? Look like they are going to lose so much more than the original investment. Probably a tax write off for whatever corporation invested in it.

by Anonymousreply 382September 29, 2023 10:09 AM

[quote]Everyone thought it was such a hit, thinking it would be there forever, no rush, and now, well....If you want to see it, you have 13 weeks to do so."

It's not 1975 where as a kid on Sunday morning with a hot buttered onion bagel, I was sprawled on the living room floor with The New York Times entertainment section. That's all I had, a full page ad announcing a new show to decide if I wanted to see it. Now with all the pre-opening hoopla, nothing I saw gave me any desire to see this show. Nothing.

by Anonymousreply 383September 29, 2023 10:18 AM

r382 There's a rumour on social media that it's one benefactor in particular who has been keeping it open

by Anonymousreply 384September 29, 2023 10:29 AM

[quote]Did Angela go on tour in the states with Mame after her Broadway run?

In the summer of '72 I saw Lansbury as "Mame" at the Westbury Music Fair on Long Island. It was "in the round" so I'll assume she did a tour of similar theatres around the country.

by Anonymousreply 385September 29, 2023 10:29 AM

R384 Do they know who, specifically?

by Anonymousreply 386September 29, 2023 10:31 AM

r386 Nope

by Anonymousreply 387September 29, 2023 10:33 AM

If Jule Styne couldn't write a good score for a show like this nobody could(and I saw Sugar 3 times for Morse and Ritchard.) Maybe if he had written it 10 years earlier when he was still at the height of his powers. After Funny Girl which is a sensational score he never came close again. It's as if he had used up all his remaining musical gifts with that show.

by Anonymousreply 388September 29, 2023 10:36 AM

Well that obviously very very rich benefactor loved the show or somebody in it. There were a few flop shows I loved I would have done that for.

by Anonymousreply 389September 29, 2023 10:41 AM

Having Jay Gatsby sing the opening suggests a deep misunderstanding of the source material. There's a reason he doesn't show up until Chapter 3 in the novel.

by Anonymousreply 390September 29, 2023 12:26 PM

[quote]We just never took off at the box office enough to survive. It's a new, terrible world.

But whose fault is that? I've been considering theatre trips to both New York and London (hey, Ouiser!) and the prices for good seats are astronomical, let alone the prices for really good seats.

The quality of the material aside, purely from an economic standpoint, is theatre (or I guess more musical theatre) meant to create massive profits that can even create fortunes like Lloyd Webber's or Cameron Mackintosh's?

It's a terrible new world for everybody. At this rate, in London, the only thing standing will be Phantom and Les Mis and the rest will run for four months.

by Anonymousreply 391September 29, 2023 12:32 PM

I LOVE this quote from bloody Norma:

"There are so many parallels between Sunset Boulevard and what you have to do to make it in Hollywood."

Well... yeah.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 392September 29, 2023 12:34 PM

Reminds me of when Brooke Shields once said, "Smoking kills and If you're killed, you've lost a very important part of your life." 😂

by Anonymousreply 393September 29, 2023 12:45 PM

Casey Garvin has been putting his OnlyFans earnings into the show and that's what's been keeping it running.

by Anonymousreply 394September 29, 2023 12:47 PM

Well that'd be a balcony seat paid for

by Anonymousreply 395September 29, 2023 1:02 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 396September 29, 2023 1:11 PM

There they are...

by Anonymousreply 397September 29, 2023 1:16 PM

'Here We Are'?

I hate those kinds of titles.

'I'm Not There' is another one.

And 'This Is Us.'

by Anonymousreply 398September 29, 2023 1:21 PM

Where’s the Rest of Me?

by Anonymousreply 399September 29, 2023 1:21 PM

I wonder if Frank Rich will write that she was miscast?

by Anonymousreply 400September 29, 2023 1:25 PM

I'm so glad they changed AWAY WE GO! to OKLAHOMA! when they musicalized the play.

by Anonymousreply 401September 29, 2023 1:26 PM

What was wrong with “ Green Grow the Lilacs”?

by Anonymousreply 402September 29, 2023 1:57 PM

Lilacs are purple.

by Anonymousreply 403September 29, 2023 2:05 PM

[quote]'Here We Are'? I hate those kinds of titles.

Perhaps it is a callback to "I'm Still Here"?

by Anonymousreply 404September 29, 2023 2:05 PM

And there you are!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 405September 29, 2023 2:17 PM

I know it was posted upthread, just sharing the Deadline article on the closing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406September 29, 2023 2:18 PM

I"m getting ASSASSINS meets RENT energy from the photo at R396. Set in a suburban mall somewhere, maybe.

by Anonymousreply 407September 29, 2023 2:21 PM

“Here We Are” sounds like it should be a musical version of Dorothy Parker stories.

by Anonymousreply 408September 29, 2023 2:41 PM

I wonder if Shaiman means/thinks that SLIH because of anti trans sentiment and that’s why it’s a terrible world

by Anonymousreply 409September 29, 2023 2:47 PM

I always remember Nicole for her appearance on Conan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 410September 29, 2023 2:57 PM

[quote]It's funny you would phrase it that way, because I've been involved in many shows, and I was always more than happy with a show than ran as long as SLIH. Take a little break, regroup, move on to the next show.

But on what level were you involved? Were you actually in those shows? Of course, I'm talking from the point of view of the producers and the investors, also the perception of the general public as to whether or not a show was a hit. I'm surprised if that's not clear to you.

by Anonymousreply 411September 29, 2023 2:59 PM

"Here We Are" reminded me of a "Skin of Our Teeth". Lots of dream logic and a feeling you just have to go along with the absurd plot. It made me more curious about the Bunuel movies.

Denis O'Hare was a standout as various mean servers and then the one who holds the group "hostage " in the second act. Steven Pasquale was perfectly sleazy as a politician(?) from an imaginary country.

I like the music, which is almost all in the first act, but I'm a huge fan of the "talking to music"/Pacific Overtures/downbeat Follies sound. I kept hearing something that was like a "Someone in a Tree" remix/rhythm repeatedly.

There is a more traditional duet between the two younger characters that was cool, it seemed to get the most applause.

The crowd was younger than I thought it would be, having only seen pretty old people at The Shed. I definitely want to revisit and see how/if it changes.

by Anonymousreply 412September 29, 2023 2:59 PM

In the only clip of Ginger Rogers as DOLLY! that I've seen, her performance does indeed come across as very fake, with a lot of indicating. Judge for yourselves:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 413September 29, 2023 3:09 PM

[quote]The figures suggest a fairly steady decline in audience interest from the show’s most recent high point of $1,143,488, which came in June following the musical’s decent showing at the Tony Awards, where J. Harrison Ghee took the coveted trophy for best lead actor in a musical.

Interesting that neither the Deadline article nor the press release about the show's closing happen to mention that Ghee has been out of the show since the beginning of September due to surgery. At the time that was announced, it was said that he would be out of the show for "at least six weeks," which would mean he's not expected back till mid-October. I wonder what's the status of that?

by Anonymousreply 414September 29, 2023 3:17 PM

Is Discreet Charm the Bunuel film with the priest who (I won't say it because it would be a spoiler)does something you don't expect.

by Anonymousreply 415September 29, 2023 3:28 PM

This show would benefit from the star power of Mandy Patinkin!

by Anonymousreply 416September 29, 2023 3:31 PM

R411 t-shirt sales

by Anonymousreply 417September 29, 2023 3:39 PM

Oh Mandy there isn’t a stick of scenery in the world you haven’t chewed.

by Anonymousreply 418September 29, 2023 3:40 PM

R414. Ghee was photographed at an opening a few weeks ago so I hope that means he's on the mend and will be returning soon.

by Anonymousreply 419September 29, 2023 3:48 PM

She was a bright and shiny Mame...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 420September 29, 2023 3:49 PM

With the failure of Some Like It Hot, cooler heads should seriously rethink the dismal SMASH reboot idea with the same writers/producers. No one wants to see that dross, either.

by Anonymousreply 421September 29, 2023 3:55 PM

I would be more interested in seeing them put BOMBSHELL on stage instead of SMASH. But I doubt that would succeed either. Lili Cooper IS Marilyn Monroe!

by Anonymousreply 422September 29, 2023 4:20 PM

R413 You're right but it's still enjoyable.

by Anonymousreply 423September 29, 2023 4:32 PM

Marc Shaiman needs to realize he had one hit musical 20 years ago and call it a day. No one is interested in his bag of tricks this late in the game.

by Anonymousreply 424September 29, 2023 4:54 PM

[quote] I wonder if Shaiman means/thinks that SLIH because of anti trans sentiment and that’s why it’s a terrible world

More like it's a terrible world when we have to change everything to fit PC bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 425September 29, 2023 5:04 PM

[quote]Interesting that neither the Deadline article nor the press release about the show's closing happen to mention that Ghee has been out of the show since the beginning of September due to surgery.

What surgery?

by Anonymousreply 426September 29, 2023 5:12 PM

R426, Transitioning.

by Anonymousreply 427September 29, 2023 5:15 PM

[quote]More like it's a terrible world when we have to change everything to fit PC bullshit.

Yeah, I would agree with Shaiman if that's what he meant, but I HIGHLY doubt that's what he meant.

by Anonymousreply 428September 29, 2023 5:45 PM

Then what did he mean by "terrible world" in regards to SLIH?

by Anonymousreply 429September 29, 2023 5:53 PM

Here We Are, tonight.

by Anonymousreply 430September 29, 2023 5:55 PM

I'm not there tonight, r430...

by Anonymousreply 431September 29, 2023 6:04 PM

[quote]Then what did he mean by "terrible world" in regards to SLIH?

I dunno, you'll have to ask him. But maybe he just means it's a terrible world in which he's underappreciated and most of his Broadway shows since HAIRSPRAY have flopped to one degree or another. And that would include CATCH ME IF YOU CAN, CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY, and now SOME LIKE IT HOT

by Anonymousreply 432September 29, 2023 6:06 PM

[quote] Yeah, I would agree with Shaiman if that's what he meant, but I HIGHLY doubt that's what he meant.

No, I'm sure that's not at all what he meant. I was just being facetious (though I agree with my statement, as well).

by Anonymousreply 433September 29, 2023 6:07 PM

[quote] What was wrong with “ Green Grow the Lilacs”?

They should have titled it, “Green Grow The Lilacs, The Musical!”

by Anonymousreply 434September 29, 2023 6:11 PM

How about Loud Sing the Lilacs?

by Anonymousreply 435September 29, 2023 6:14 PM

Liliom, The Musical!

by Anonymousreply 436September 29, 2023 6:20 PM

Don't forget LOOK TO THE LILLIES!

by Anonymousreply 437September 29, 2023 6:21 PM

[quote]Don't forget LOOK TO THE LILLIES!

Why? Everyone else has.

by Anonymousreply 438September 29, 2023 6:23 PM

[quote]I agree with my statement, as well

A brave, brave, brave position to take!

by Anonymousreply 439September 29, 2023 6:25 PM

Brazilian Beanie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 440September 29, 2023 6:28 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 441September 29, 2023 6:43 PM

[Quote] I agree with my statement, as well

Needs to be in the next thread title

by Anonymousreply 442September 29, 2023 6:43 PM

"It's a new, terrible world"

He's right. We're living in a moment where the excitement/awards around a show just isn't having the impact it used to. That fact that both SLIH and Kimberly haven't soared/SROed is disappointing, because they stack up well against many other musicals that have run longer. Everything is so expensive now that investors are fatigued, and HOT, NY NY, HERE LIES LOVE, and Brittany were all around $20 million are totally goose eggs. That's $80 million burned. That has to be an impact.

by Anonymousreply 443September 29, 2023 6:44 PM

Any shows this evening cancelled because of the flooding ?

by Anonymousreply 444September 29, 2023 6:45 PM

Miss Charlotte has said the shows will go on!

by Anonymousreply 445September 29, 2023 6:50 PM

[quote]The show makes its posthumous world premiere beginning September 28.

Its posthumous world premiere? In other words, "Here We Are" will be dead on arrival?

by Anonymousreply 446September 29, 2023 6:51 PM

R428, Maybe he just means that he hasn’t gotten laid in a while.

by Anonymousreply 447September 29, 2023 6:52 PM

Well, Ghee clearly didn't get new tits.

by Anonymousreply 448September 29, 2023 7:28 PM

Thanks for the Ginger Rogers link R413. You're right; it looks like the ASL version of BEFORE THE PARDE PASSES BY.

by Anonymousreply 449September 29, 2023 7:41 PM

Is anyone besides me appalled at the prices for some Broadway shows? I didn't go to see MUSIC MAN because of the absurd prices, and I'm skipping MERRILY (a show I love) for the same reason. An orchestra seat for MERRILY can cost as much as $500 before tax and fees.!

by Anonymousreply 450September 29, 2023 7:59 PM

The problem is you’re a theater fan who lives in NYC

Broadway is for tourists now. There’s no room for us there anymore.

by Anonymousreply 451September 29, 2023 8:10 PM

I'm old enough to remember when Broadway was first and foremost for NY theater lovers and then if the show was a big enough hit the tourists would follow. It was pretty great.

by Anonymousreply 452September 29, 2023 8:16 PM

That also why there are no Broadway stars. The people who get marquee billing are film and TV stars.

by Anonymousreply 453September 29, 2023 8:25 PM

So you must really enjoy watching The Gilded Age, R452.

by Anonymousreply 454September 29, 2023 8:28 PM

Some of us enjoyed LIVING it, r454.

by Anonymousreply 455September 29, 2023 8:43 PM

The reason I think "Some Like it Hot" failed to really resonate is because the TWO MAIN THINGS the story is NOT about is female empowerment, and the male characters having ANY identification/feelings about being actual women!

Those issues as well as anything to do with race have exactly zero to do with the story of the film that everybody already knows, and to layer them in in this "modern" ham-handed way just kills the fun! People want to be entertained not preached at and educated about the moral and spiritual superiority of people suffering from gender dysphoria! I don't give a fuck how many "progressives" keep bullying us, it's just not anything worth our time!

by Anonymousreply 456September 29, 2023 9:03 PM

SLIH's failure is obvious:

Fans of the film didn't want to see a bastardization of it.

Non-fans of the film had no interest in seeing a musical based on a film they don't care about (and without stars).

It's pretty simple actually, Mark.

by Anonymousreply 457September 29, 2023 9:15 PM

I think Shaiman's particular disappointment on SLIH is because the audiences and certainly all of his friends were going nuts for it during 4 weeks of previews. Word of mouth was actually pretty strong back then. So, I think he's just confused about the lack of enthusiasmm and Box office after it opened (and to pretty great reviews IIRC).

Also, anyone who thinks J Harrison Ghee's presence onstage at this point, Tony Award or not, is going to make any difference in the box office is deluded.

Unless it's a big star revival (like Hugh in MM or Bette in Dolly) audiences, old and young, want to see something new and fresh in Broadway musicals, like Hamilton. And I agree with the poster above who said Smash is gonna flop big. It was awful TV and the awfulness will only be more magnified on a Broadway stage.

by Anonymousreply 458September 29, 2023 9:22 PM

Audiences are still willing to pay for shows they actually want to see. And that they have a great time at and tell their friends. The problem with the ticket prices isn't the amount per se, it's that if that is going to be the price, the show has to be A+ unmissable and life changing. There's no room for a 'soft hit' or a show that chugs along but is never anyone's first choice.

The people who complain about ticket prices are cherry picking to make a point. Go on Today Tix or TDF if you can get a membership and see the overwhelming majority of Broadway shows for well under $100, and off-Broadway for even less than that. Rush and digital lotteries help but you can get less expensive tickets without those. Join a papering service for $100 or so a year. It may be that you don't see your first choice shows from the best seat in the house, or on a Friday or Saturday night in the moment when the show has the most momentum, but keep trying and you'll get it somewhere near the price point you want at some point in the life of nearly every show.

About the same as the price per head of a full meal at a decent NYC restaurant (appetizer, cocktail, entree, dessert).

Music Man I saw for under $100. Here We Are is going to be under $150, which is about as high as I'll go for any single ticket. But Some Like It Hot and Kimberly Akimbo? Saw those long ago for under $50 each IIRC. You could spend that at an NYC movie on the IMAX ticket and refreshments.

It's when you paint yourself into a corner with "I'm only in New York this Saturday night and I have to see Show X, no other show will do" that they get you.

by Anonymousreply 459September 29, 2023 9:24 PM

[quote]So, I think he's just confused about the lack of enthusiasmm and Box office after it opened

And that's showbiz, kids!

by Anonymousreply 460September 29, 2023 9:27 PM

Marc was lied to and he was too stupid to see that they were lying.

by Anonymousreply 461September 29, 2023 9:36 PM

r459, that's simply not true about hit Broadway shows unless you're willing to sit in the upper mezzanine or balcony or extreme rear sides of the orchestra. When you get to a certain age, that just isn't good enough.

by Anonymousreply 462September 29, 2023 9:37 PM

[quote]Brazilian Beanie

To my dying day I will thank all the gods and goddesses that wasn't a pic of her bikini wax.

by Anonymousreply 463September 29, 2023 9:41 PM

I had a different problem with Some Like It Hot. There's just no heat or sexiness driving the couplings. The Sugar and Joe relationship goes through all of its machinations, because that's the plot, but where is the attraction and fun that Tony Curtis and Marilyn Monroe generate in the movie? Does the Osgood-Daphne pairing work if, as is this case here, Osgood is more camp than Daphne? Even the change from Miami to San Diego proves deflating.

by Anonymousreply 464September 29, 2023 9:54 PM

Thanks, R441, but what a POS article that is. It says that Ghee has been cleared to return to the cast of SLIH, but it doesn't give even a rough indication of when that might happen. And this is only the latest report to mention that Ghee had surgery without bothering to mention what TYPE of surgery, not even in general terms. Is it some sort of surgery that Ghee is trying to hide? If not, why be so mum about it?

by Anonymousreply 465September 29, 2023 10:15 PM

R451 no. The problem is people are too discerning. If the show is good, New Yorkers will pay through the nose. We did it early on for Hamilton, etc etc.

The issue is the constant flow of subpar entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 466September 29, 2023 10:16 PM

We don't have brilliant creators anymore.

by Anonymousreply 467September 29, 2023 10:21 PM

[quote]"There are so many parallels between Sunset Boulevard and what you have to do to make it in Hollywood."

LOL! ! Hilarious, R392

by Anonymousreply 468September 29, 2023 10:24 PM

[quote]"There are so many parallels between Sunset Boulevard and what you have to do to make it in Hollywood."

"There are so many parallels between 'Oklahoma' and what you have to do to make it in Oklahoma."

by Anonymousreply 469September 29, 2023 10:33 PM

If Curly had married Jud instead of Laurey, he would be Curly Fry.

by Anonymousreply 470September 29, 2023 11:01 PM

Honestly, R468, I could not fucking believe it. Jesus, that's some stupid.

"I think - when Norma kills Joe - she's just so angry she could kill!"

by Anonymousreply 471September 29, 2023 11:12 PM

R470 that made me laugh out loud.

by Anonymousreply 472September 29, 2023 11:42 PM

R462 you prove my point and you type old. The cheaper tickets are there, you just don't want them because of their location. The good seats are more, even to the shows that aren't selling out. The tickets to the hits are more.

There's still plenty of Broadway available if you're willing to bend on seat location and not seeing the hottest hits, and sometimes putting in a little extra effort (lottery or rush).

When has "I want a great seat at a low price to the hottest hit on Broadway" ever been a real and regularly available thing?

by Anonymousreply 473September 30, 2023 12:50 AM

Why is Will Swenson-McDonald leaving the Neil Diamond musical?

by Anonymousreply 474September 30, 2023 12:54 AM

[quote]When has "I want a great seat at a low price to the hottest hit on Broadway" ever been a real and regularly available thing?

This Eldergay is willing to pay up to $200 for a good seat, and by "good seat," I mean the first 15 rows of the orchestra (not extreme sides) and the first two rows of the front mezzanine. Until just a few years ago, that was a real and regular thing. Dynamic pricing has ruined it for most regular theater-goers.

by Anonymousreply 475September 30, 2023 12:56 AM

[Quote] you prove my point and you type old

You’re a dick. I went to F&F you and saw I already had, which means you’re always a dick.

by Anonymousreply 476September 30, 2023 1:07 AM

r475 You'll have to confine your theatergoing to "the regions."

by Anonymousreply 477September 30, 2023 1:07 AM

[quote]If Curly had married Jud instead of Laurey, he would be Curly Fr.

OKLA-HOMO!

by Anonymousreply 478September 30, 2023 1:11 AM

[quote]Fans of the film didn't want to see a bastardization of it.

[quote]Non-fans of the film had no interest in seeing a musical based on a film they don't care about (and without stars).

Agreed. If they had been faithful to the source material AND cast the show with actual stars, it would have been a hit.

[quote]Marc was lied to and he was too stupid to see that they were lying.

Yes, he was obviously surrounded by yes-men, if all he heard was positive feedback about the show.

by Anonymousreply 479September 30, 2023 1:17 AM

I seriously doubt many of the theater goers today have ever heard of Some Like It Hot the movie.

by Anonymousreply 480September 30, 2023 1:20 AM

[quote]Yes, he was obviously surrounded by yes-men, if all he heard was positive feedback about the show.

Based on the fact that Shaiman actually thought the Broadway production of CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY was a good show that failed for inexplicable reasons, rather than recognizing it for the awful production of a les than mediocre musical that t was, my guess is that he has become completely delusional in his old age.

by Anonymousreply 481September 30, 2023 1:23 AM

R480 Then you live in a theater bubble.

Most theatergoers are not theater geeks.

They just want to be entertained or see their favorite movies brought to life.

by Anonymousreply 482September 30, 2023 1:24 AM

R482, that wasn't my point. It's that most people have never heard of Some Like It Hot the movie.

by Anonymousreply 483September 30, 2023 1:28 AM

Some like it Hot was 1959, almost 65 years ago. Back to the Future was 1983. What movie do you think most theatergoers would remember?

by Anonymousreply 484September 30, 2023 1:30 AM

On the DL? Birth of a Nation

by Anonymousreply 485September 30, 2023 1:34 AM

Shaiman should definitely be taking lessons from you lot.

by Anonymousreply 486September 30, 2023 1:53 AM

R485, they saw opening night of the dance of the seven veils.

by Anonymousreply 487September 30, 2023 1:54 AM

The jubilant orgy of ageism here is as revolting as most of the posters' taste in theater.

by Anonymousreply 488September 30, 2023 2:04 AM

Don't be so touchy, sage.

by Anonymousreply 489September 30, 2023 2:10 AM

My drag name is Ann Octaroon

by Anonymousreply 490September 30, 2023 2:44 AM

Bernie and Lea!

How nice to have a FULL orchestra playing Sondheim. You hear that, Sonia & Maria?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 491September 30, 2023 3:04 AM

R483, “Some Like it Hot” is a classic film and considered by many to be the best comedy ever made.

Arguably Marilyn Monroe’s best movie, it has remained popular for decades and I cannot see it ever becoming forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 492September 30, 2023 5:45 AM

R492, it was 65 years ago. Maybe you can't see it being forgotten but if you did your own straw poll, I'd bet the majority of general populace never heard of it, especially the younger ones. The means of seeing it have radically changed and you have to seek it out.

by Anonymousreply 493September 30, 2023 6:10 AM

R493, “Some Like it Hot” is easily accessible on multiple streaming services.

Classic films such as “Gone With the Wind”, “The Wizard of Oz”, “It’s a Wonderful Life”, etc. are over 80 years old and still remain popular today.

“The Sound of Music” is nearly 60 years old and earns a high rating when ABC airs it every December.

Good quality films are never forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 494September 30, 2023 6:33 AM

There are very young youtubers who review old classic films they might have heard of, or their watchers suggest to them and you follow them as they watch it and they make comments. You don't watch them watch the whole film it's edited down to about 45 minutes. Some like It Hot is one of those films. I don't think it's as famous today as some people would have it. Maybe Gentlemen Prefer Blondes for Marilyn and Tiffany's for Audrey. But they are more known for being icons than their actual film work. Of course when Sugar opened everybody knew the movie and with the cast and creators it was expected to be a huge sell out hit. It wasn't. It was a matinee show. A pleasant way to pass an afternoon for old ladies. It wasn't even good enough to be a tired business man's musical.

by Anonymousreply 495September 30, 2023 8:23 AM

But I tap-rap-tap did a great tap-tap-tap job.

by Anonymousreply 496September 30, 2023 11:32 AM

R495 . . .

“Where is Some Like It Hot rated on AFI's 100 best movies list?

14th on AFI's 100 Greatest American Movies of All Time by American Film Institute.

19th on John Kobal Presents the Top 100 Movies by John Kobal.

21st on 100 All-Time Greatest Movies by Entertainment Weekly.

25th on The 100 best movies of all time by Time Out.”

by Anonymousreply 497September 30, 2023 11:47 AM

Are you being deliberately obtuse? Or do you genuinely believe younger audiences are consulting those lists to decide what movies they want to watch?

Christ, I've seen some of the reaction channels r495 is talking about do Jurassic Park as a film they've never seen before.

by Anonymousreply 498September 30, 2023 1:14 PM

It's not like in the 70s and 80s where there were fewer channels and SLIH was regularly shown as the afternoon movie. Regardless of it's prestige, it's definitely no WOZ which still gets yearly showings on TV.

by Anonymousreply 499September 30, 2023 3:16 PM

I think you're the one being deliberately obtuse in thinking Some Like it Hot is akin to some forgotten pre-code film that only has a half disintegrated nitrate print left.

by Anonymousreply 500September 30, 2023 3:23 PM

r500 But no-one is claiming that. What is being said is that younger audiences simply aren't aware of it. How is that in any way contentious? If I framed it as "dumb gen zs have never even heard of classic movies" would that make it more palatable for you?

by Anonymousreply 501September 30, 2023 3:47 PM

If you're seeing anything contentious, it's because I'm just throwing your words back at you.

by Anonymousreply 502September 30, 2023 3:55 PM

I want to be underwhelmed - Theatre Gossip Edition

by Anonymousreply 503September 30, 2023 4:02 PM

R501 is selling younger people short. I have encountered numerous twentysomethings who are huge fans of TCM and old Hollywood.

This notion that younger generations will not watch a B&W movie is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 504September 30, 2023 4:02 PM

Encountered? Seems rather fleeting to learn of such a distinct area of interest.

by Anonymousreply 505September 30, 2023 4:07 PM

Here's what no one has ever acknowledged about of SLIH. The lyrics are just too much. Just try listening to the recording. Almost every song hasomnanywordssingingsofasttogiveyoualltheplot that you just shut down. Whitman keeps trying to be "witty" instead of finding the heart of the characters, or let the audience soak it in and fall in love with these people. Added Nicholaw's equally relentless direction and choreography and it all just stays distant and removed. The actors do what they can, but the woman playing Sugar just has no real star power, and her ridiculously clichéd song about escaping to the movies does nothing for the show or her, but boy can she BELT! It's all just B work, and that's why it never caught on. But I place the primary blame on Whitman.

by Anonymousreply 506September 30, 2023 4:12 PM

[quote]Almost every song hasomnanywordssingingsofasttog - iveyoualltheplot that you just shut down.

I didn't know LuPone recorded it.

by Anonymousreply 507September 30, 2023 4:15 PM

[quote], they saw opening night of the dance of the seven veils.

I saw the revival with Beanie Feldstein. They needed twelve veils.

by Anonymousreply 508September 30, 2023 4:26 PM

R505, If you ever left your basement, you might encounter some too.

by Anonymousreply 509September 30, 2023 4:31 PM

For what it's worth, SOME LIKE IT HOT is one of Marilyn Monroe's most popular films and she's still very popular.

After BLONDE came out last year and was Oscar-nominated for Best Actress, there were many youngsters seeking out MM's films, including SLIH.

by Anonymousreply 510September 30, 2023 4:34 PM

SOME LIKE MY TWAT

by Anonymousreply 511September 30, 2023 4:52 PM

Some Like My Cum Hot

by Anonymousreply 512September 30, 2023 4:54 PM

THE SIGN IN SIDNEY BRUSTEIN'S SNATCH!

by Anonymousreply 513September 30, 2023 5:07 PM

Oh, R509, you write professionally I'm guessing?

by Anonymousreply 514September 30, 2023 5:08 PM

[quote]—DL never fails to amuse

You are the exception to the rule, r513.

by Anonymousreply 515September 30, 2023 5:20 PM

I'll do it!

by Anonymousreply 516September 30, 2023 5:23 PM

r506, your post would have been even "wittier" if you'd gotten the spelling of lyricist Scott Wittman right.

by Anonymousreply 517September 30, 2023 5:26 PM

R506 . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 518September 30, 2023 5:48 PM

For me it was simple: The film Some Like It Hot had enormous charm. The musical had none.

by Anonymousreply 519September 30, 2023 6:33 PM

[quote]This notion that younger generations will not watch a B&W movie is ridiculous.

No, it's not ridiculous. The fact that a significant number of young people feel this way has been well documented, though I'm not aware of any survey that has determined exactly how large a percentage of young people that entails.

by Anonymousreply 520September 30, 2023 6:52 PM

[quote]it's definitely no WOZ which still gets yearly showings on TV.

Are you posting from 1968, R499? The days of "The Wizard of Oz" getting an annual showing on CBS are long gone, although "The Sound of Music" and "The Ten Commandments" still get such showings, the latter at Easter. "Oz" is occasionally shown on TCM, say, when Judy Garland is the "star of the month," and of course has been available on home video for many years, including deluxe DVD and Blu-ray editions.

by Anonymousreply 521September 30, 2023 7:10 PM

Does it stream? If not I don’t know her…

by Anonymousreply 522September 30, 2023 7:11 PM

[quote]This notion that younger generations will not watch a B&W movie is ridiculous.

Again, that isn't what was being argued. The fact posters keep creating strawmen rather than arguing the actual point - that most young people have never heard of the film version of SLIH - says it all.

by Anonymousreply 523September 30, 2023 7:16 PM

I've been teaching in a grad drama program at an Ivy League college for the past 30 years and have definitely seen a difference in the last 10 years. When I mention actors like Fred Astaire, Bette Davis, Grace Kelly, Cary Grant, Clark Gable or Vivien Leigh, for 6 examples, I get a lot of blank stares and furious (and sometimes eager) fiddling with iphones to google the name for an image.

They will recognize names like Marilyn and the 2 Hepburns, but only have a slight idea of what they've done. So I definitely think MOST people under 30 would only have the vaguest recognition of the film of SLIH, beyond perhaps the title. Trust me, I witness this daily.

by Anonymousreply 524September 30, 2023 7:25 PM

But then, TBH, if you put photos of Zendaya, Jacob Elordi and Lizzo in front of me I'd be challenged to identify them and certainly couldn't expound on them.

by Anonymousreply 525September 30, 2023 7:28 PM

R524, I blame the parents.

by Anonymousreply 526September 30, 2023 7:38 PM

The trailer for the York Theatre's Mufti production GOLDEN RAINBOW was posted on YouTube.

When did Max Von Essen become a "daddy"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 527September 30, 2023 7:40 PM

The final word . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 528September 30, 2023 7:56 PM

R524–there’s your problem right there …a bunch of culturally illiterate Ivy grad students. Duh

by Anonymousreply 529September 30, 2023 8:07 PM

[quote]The trailer for the York Theatre's Mufti production GOLDEN RAINBOW was posted on YouTube.

"For Once in Your Life" is what becomes the freewheeling patio number.

by Anonymousreply 530September 30, 2023 9:08 PM

I wish Kelly Bishop had showed up with her feather boa...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 531September 30, 2023 9:12 PM

[quote]Again, that isn't what was being argued. The fact posters keep creating strawmen rather than arguing the actual point - that most young people have never heard of the film version of SLIH - says it all.

Exactly. I'm glad that I was taught years ago to recognize straw man arguments right off the bat. Once you understand what the phrase means, those arguments are very obvious, and they are the refuge of people who don't have the ability to argue the actual subject(s) under discussion -- usually because their opinions on those subjects are dead wrong.

by Anonymousreply 532September 30, 2023 9:55 PM

Does Mufti usually do those glossy videos for their shows?

by Anonymousreply 533September 30, 2023 9:56 PM

R521 WOZ was on TBS just a few weeks ago. When was the last time SLIH was on? And yes, a big reason is that it's B&W.

by Anonymousreply 534September 30, 2023 10:15 PM

I actually think the story revisions in SLIH could have brought another layer of fun to the musical.

The real problem was the songs. I wanted to see the show before it opened. But then every clip I saw made it less and less appealing. Each song and each number seemed to be duller than the last.

Instead of pastiche and clever lyrics, wouldn't be a novelty just to have good songs?

Omar Shariff is the last show tune that one could listen to over and over. And how many years ago was that?

by Anonymousreply 535September 30, 2023 10:38 PM

It's on PBS at least once every 6 weeks on Saturday nights. At least that's what it feels like.

by Anonymousreply 536September 30, 2023 11:47 PM

The great Len Cariou turned 84 today.

by Anonymousreply 537September 30, 2023 11:55 PM

I sent him an Old Spice gift set and a carton of Luckies.

by Anonymousreply 538September 30, 2023 11:57 PM

R534 . . .

“Watch Some Like It Hot with a subscription on Max, rent on Vudu, Amazon Prime Video, Apple TV, or buy on Vudu, Amazon Prime Video, Apple TV.“

by Anonymousreply 539October 1, 2023 12:21 AM

Rotten Tomatoes . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 540October 1, 2023 12:22 AM

I notice in the description of the film just above that they somehow never mention the characters struggle for self-actualization, their racial strife, sour youths, and gender dysphoria!

I guess they wasted too much time on the clever funny parts.

by Anonymousreply 541October 1, 2023 12:31 AM

r528, thanks for posting the doc on SLIH! Great watch , enjoyed all the talking heads especially IAL Diamond's widow and the ladies who played Sweet Sue's girls, they were all still recognizable. Except for listening to that sleazy old Tony Curtis (his reputation really would have survived nicely had he died young), it was a lot of fun.

by Anonymousreply 542October 1, 2023 1:48 AM

[quote] Again, that isn't what was being argued. The fact posters keep creating strawmen rather than arguing the actual point - that most young people have never heard of the film version of SLIH - says it all.

You're hardly in a position to get on a high horse. You're the one who's been shrieking RACISM during the Hello, Dolly conversation. You may want to climb up on that pole and scare the crows away, straw man.

by Anonymousreply 543October 1, 2023 1:54 AM

r543 No, I'm not. But thanks for showing you're one of those posters who thinks there can only possibly be one person who doesn't agree with you.

by Anonymousreply 544October 1, 2023 2:02 AM

[quote] [R543] No, I'm not. But thanks for showing you're one of those posters who thinks there can only possibly be one person who doesn't agree with you.

I'm not talking about others. I'm talking about you.

by Anonymousreply 545October 1, 2023 2:05 AM

r545 Except you're not. Go check my post history before you embarrass yourself further.

by Anonymousreply 546October 1, 2023 2:06 AM

[quote]Instead of pastiche and clever lyrics, wouldn't be a novelty just to have good songs?

Pastiche seems to be all that team can write, but sometimes (HAIRSPRAY) the scores that result are a LOT better than others (SLIH, CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY).

by Anonymousreply 547October 1, 2023 2:18 AM

ANYWAY, anyone seen Golden Rainbow? What happened to the original Mufti program anyway?

I know there were other developmental/Encores style programs in last few decades and am sad they don't tend to last. Maybe a tech millionaire who needs to see "Lolita My Love" needs to invest ?

by Anonymousreply 548October 1, 2023 2:24 AM

R548, what do you mean by "the original Mufti program?"

by Anonymousreply 549October 1, 2023 2:25 AM

I like the name Mitzi Mufti.

by Anonymousreply 550October 1, 2023 2:29 AM

R548, Mufti did "Lolita My Love" back in 2019. I think there's a bootleg video of it, I remember hearing about someone who recorded all of their productions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 551October 1, 2023 3:01 AM

Was Mufti the one that did the Jane Powell 70 Girls 70?

by Anonymousreply 552October 1, 2023 4:07 AM

R539, I could probably stream Mama's Family on those same services and it would probably get more hits than SLIH.

by Anonymousreply 553October 1, 2023 4:16 AM

I teach in a college. None of my students has seen Some Like It Hot. One has seen Singing in the Rain. None have seen Gone with the Wind, Sweet Smell of Success, All About Eve, or A Place in the Sun.

by Anonymousreply 554October 1, 2023 4:39 AM

What does it feel like having such idiots for students R554?

by Anonymousreply 555October 1, 2023 5:30 AM

R554, That’s pitiful.

by Anonymousreply 556October 1, 2023 6:30 AM

[quote]I teach in a college. None of my students has seen Some Like It Hot. One has seen Singing in the Rain. None have seen Gone with the Wind, Sweet Smell of Success, All About Eve, or A Place in the Sun.

I know for a fact that many middle/high schoolers are familiar with SINGIN' IN THE RAIN.

The Broadway adaptation, which is very faithful to the original film, gets licensed annually to high schools across the country and abroad (Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia).

There is even an abridged 1-hour version for middle schoolers called SINGIN' IN THE RAIN, Jr. that also gets put on yearly.

Just this September, King's Academy in Florida put on an excellent production.

In November alone, the show is being mounted in high schools in Utah (Dixie), Iowa (Bishop Garrigan), South Carolina (Paul M. Dorman), and Arizona (Gilbert Christian).

Naturally, the kids watch the original film for inspiration.

In recent years, the musical has gained popularity due to the 2020s AI parallels with the 1920s talkies, when the advent of sound shook up the film industry.

by Anonymousreply 557October 1, 2023 7:45 AM

[quote]I teach in a college. None of my students has seen Some Like It Hot. One has seen Singing in the Rain. None have seen Gone with the Wind, Sweet Smell of Success, All About Eve, or A Place in the Sun.

And they are all the poorer for it.

by Anonymousreply 558October 1, 2023 8:16 AM

[Italic] So what have we learned? [/Italic]

Young people only care about the very most recent pop culture.

Old people will continuously argue a point until you either want to push them out a window or jump through it yourself.

by Anonymousreply 559October 1, 2023 11:43 AM

r554, are you teaching a film course? If so, shouldn't you be assigning at least these films as part of the curriculum?

by Anonymousreply 560October 1, 2023 12:08 PM

How many would like to see R559 jump through the nearest open window?

by Anonymousreply 561October 1, 2023 12:09 PM

Eldergays get hostile when their indulgent prattle is halted or questioned.

by Anonymousreply 562October 1, 2023 12:46 PM

R562, Someone found their thesaurus.

by Anonymousreply 563October 1, 2023 12:53 PM

Is that [italic] really [/italic] your comeback, r561, you fungus – riddled shut-in? We enjoy these boards for gossip and playful bitchy – but you bring nothing but toxicity.

by Anonymousreply 564October 1, 2023 1:15 PM

Says a post full of toxins…y’all are😵‍💫

by Anonymousreply 565October 1, 2023 1:16 PM

I saw KA, Sweeney, and SLIH on successive nights and going in expected to like them in that order. But I pretty much hated KA (bland and twee) and really enjoyed the pep of SLIH. (For Sweeney I was surrounded by screaming Josh fans, which was distracting.)

by Anonymousreply 566October 1, 2023 1:24 PM

R564, Calm down, cunt face. The government shutdown was averted, so your monthly freebies will be uninterrupted. You should be reveling!

by Anonymousreply 567October 1, 2023 1:29 PM

I think it's about time for a freewheeling toilet number.

by Anonymousreply 568October 1, 2023 1:32 PM

I'd like to defenestrate the lot of you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 569October 1, 2023 1:41 PM

[quote] I teach in a college. None of my students has seen Some Like It Hot. One has seen Singing in the Rain. None have seen Gone with the Wind, Sweet Smell of Success, All About Eve, or A Place in the Sun.

Okay, but hang on a minute- You're talking about kids anywhere from 18-21. I'm a filmmaker and I can tell you that when I was that age, I hadn't yet seen half of those. I did start exploring older cinema right around that age, but that was also in the late 1980s. Kids today have another 30+ years of cinema to explore that all happened before they were born than some of us did. And it's not surprising that teenagers aren't necessarily interested in watching 60+ year old movies. Some will get there, but some won't. I have a friend who is about a decade younger than me (early 40s) and he's just now exploring movies that came out when he was a kid or a young adult, and some from well before he was born.

It took me until I was 32 to finally see Gone With the Wind (which I liked very much), and I still haven't seen The Sound of Music (which I have zero interest in). Some movies you just don't get around to.

by Anonymousreply 570October 1, 2023 1:56 PM

[quote]I think it's about time for a freewheeling toilet number.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 571October 1, 2023 2:05 PM

Rousing song from the toilet musical

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 572October 1, 2023 2:08 PM

Can't we have ONE gossip thread without two people getting into a fight?

Can't we have anything nice?

It's boring......ignore each other.....we keep trying.

by Anonymousreply 573October 1, 2023 3:06 PM

^ Amen. A disagreement is fine, a couple of barbs amusing, but an extended volley of hissing.....Zzzzzzzz.... caftans at dawn, what a value add.

by Anonymousreply 574October 1, 2023 3:10 PM

I avoided Miss Carlisle’s pussy

by Anonymousreply 575October 1, 2023 3:10 PM

The name of the station is Times Sq-42nd Street

by Anonymousreply 576October 1, 2023 3:31 PM

R575, So did I.

by Anonymousreply 577October 1, 2023 3:33 PM

[quote]Just this September, King's Academy in Florida put on an excellent production.

Here it is:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 578October 1, 2023 6:32 PM

I saw a SITR production at LA's Hamilton High around 2000 and it was better than the Broadway revival. I was looking for some YT videos but no luck. Hamilton was one of the best performing arts magnets during those years but they've fallen on hard times, like every public school in LA.

by Anonymousreply 579October 1, 2023 6:47 PM

Live Aid: The Musical is on its way:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 580October 1, 2023 6:59 PM

Anybody go to the flea market today? It seemed bland to me.

by Anonymousreply 581October 1, 2023 7:01 PM

R570, THE SOUND OF MUSIC remains one of the most popular films of all time. For any member of the general public never to have seen it would be pretty surprising, but for a "filmmaker" like you not to have seen it is shocking and embarrassing. Even if you expect you would hate the movie, it behooves you to see if only for its place in history. (Sort of like THE BIRTH OF A NATION, though in a very different way.)

by Anonymousreply 582October 1, 2023 7:22 PM

[quote]I saw KA, Sweeney, and SLIH on successive nights and going in expected to like them in that order. But I pretty much hated KA (bland and twee) and really enjoyed the pep of SLIH.

If you found KA "bland" and "twee," either you slept through half of the show or you don't understand the meaning of those words.. Or maybe you just have terrible taste, as indicated by the fact that you enjoyed the "pep" of SLIH but apparently weren't bothered by the fact that the story and characters are ridiculous while the score is extremely derivative.

by Anonymousreply 583October 1, 2023 7:26 PM

r582 Why would a filmmaker be expected to watch a film just because it's popular? There's nothing particularly special about the direction or production of The Sound of Music.

by Anonymousreply 584October 1, 2023 7:28 PM

Ah, should've waited for your post at r583 to pop up - so basically you think only your opinion is the right one, and anyone who has a different one has terrible taste

by Anonymousreply 585October 1, 2023 7:29 PM

[quote]There's nothing particularly special about the direction or production of The Sound of Music.

LOL

by Anonymousreply 586October 1, 2023 7:29 PM

I'm honestly surprised some of you people can enjoy anything, the way you carry on here.

by Anonymousreply 587October 1, 2023 7:32 PM

The opening lyrics of Kimberly Akimbo—

[quote]It's Saturday night at Skater Planet / The Zamboni's on the ice / So we hang around here waiting / All the action's at the mall / But we'd rather be here skating / In New Jersey

—are the very epitome of bland and twee.

by Anonymousreply 588October 1, 2023 7:34 PM

Sorry, R584, but I find your comment as closed-minded as R570's attitude. Again, I would think a filmmaker would want to watch one of THE most successful films of all time if only to see if he can discern what made it so extraordinarily popular, and regardless of whether he expects to love or hate the film.

by Anonymousreply 589October 1, 2023 7:35 PM

What is it, you cunt face?

by Anonymousreply 590October 1, 2023 7:35 PM

R585, not at all, but I'm allowed to express MY opinion that YOUR opinion shows a lack of taste (and a misunderstanding of what the words "bland" and "twee" mean. Interestingly, it seems to me the word "bland" is one that a lot of people throw around when they have no better away to express why they didn't like a show or a performance or whatever.

R588, I disagree with you about those lyrics, and I think it's unfair of you to take them out of context.

by Anonymousreply 591October 1, 2023 7:39 PM

r589 Ah the poster who accuses others of bad taste just because they don't share the same opinion is accusing others of being "closed-minded".

Presumably you also think a filmmaker should watch Marvel films, given how popular they are too. Ah, but you probably don't like Marvel, so in that case they can be left out, right?

by Anonymousreply 592October 1, 2023 7:39 PM

[quote] Sorry, [R584], but I find your comment as closed-minded as [R570]'s attitude. Again, I would think a filmmaker would want to watch one of THE most successful films of all time if only to see if he can discern what made it so extraordinarily popular, and regardless of whether he expects to love or hate the film.

Perhaps if I were looking to make an old-fashioned musical, I would watch it for research for sure. I've watched movies I would otherwise not be interested in for several reasons- to look at actors, to see how a particular sequence was handled, etc. Not having any desire (or need) to sit through The Sound of Music doesn't make me close-minded at all. I just have no interest in it. I don't care for the music, and the clips I've seen don't engage me. I also don't watch superhero movies because they don't interest me. Your argument thus holds no water, as several of them rank and the most popular and successful of all time.

by Anonymousreply 593October 1, 2023 7:40 PM

r591 Once again, there is more than one other poster on this thread, and I've never used the words bland or twee in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 594October 1, 2023 7:41 PM

R592, I love that we just made the same point seconds from each other.

by Anonymousreply 595October 1, 2023 7:42 PM

Someone I know saw "Sunset Boulevard" on the West End and said that Norma twerks and does a split in this version.

by Anonymousreply 596October 1, 2023 7:48 PM

[quote]Presumably you also think a filmmaker should watch Marvel films, given how popular they are too. Ah, but you probably don't like Marvel, so in that case they can be left out, right?

[quote]I also don't watch superhero movies because they don't interest me. Your argument thus holds no water, as several of them rank and the most popular and successful of all time.

I have almost no interest in Marvel movies, so I almost never see them -- but I am not a filmmaker. If I WERE a filmmaker, I would make it a point to see at least some Marvel movies if only to try to understand what it is about them that appeals to so many people. And if I couldn't understand that even after seeing several of those movies, that in itself would be a learning experience that would be extremely valuable to me as a filmmaker.

by Anonymousreply 597October 1, 2023 7:49 PM

[quote]Norma twerks and does a split in this version.

I assume this happens on a patio.

by Anonymousreply 598October 1, 2023 7:50 PM

[quote]I'm honestly surprised some of you people can enjoy anything, the way you carry on here.

I have discovered that ultraliberals ('woke') are very pessimistic and negative about most everything.

People into theater tend to be ultraliberals.

Hence why this theater thread (and DL in general) tend to be so damn negative.

And why movies and plays have gotten so dark and pessimistic, because Hollywood and Broadway are currently being run by gloomy ultraliberals.

by Anonymousreply 599October 1, 2023 7:50 PM

New thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600October 1, 2023 7:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!