Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Greg I have to prepare salmon in my toaster oven!

What should I do? I'm having some work done in my kitchen and don't have access to my stove or regular oven. I only prepare fish in frying pans -- I usually like a really crispy skin and a moist, tender flesh know how to achieve that on the stove. Afraid I won't be able to crisp the skin and/or that I'll dry the fish out in the toaster oven. How would you recommend I prepare it? I'll be using a simple garlic/butter/lemon/dill marinade and pairing with leftover mashed potatoes and spring mix salad.

These are thick center cut Atlantic salmon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88June 8, 2023 1:55 AM

Someone is very needy today.

by Anonymousreply 1June 1, 2023 8:24 PM

Prunes.

Lots and lots of prunes.

by Anonymousreply 2June 1, 2023 8:27 PM

Go to a 5 star seafood restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 3June 1, 2023 8:29 PM

Not Greg, but I've done something very similar:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 1, 2023 8:30 PM

[quote] Greg I have to prepare salmon in my toaster oven! What should I do?

Take a paper plate.

Douse it in oil.

Turn the temperature up to maximum on your toaster oven.

Wait for it to ignite, and then DIAGF!!!

by Anonymousreply 5June 1, 2023 8:42 PM

Please do not summon the Beast.

by Anonymousreply 6June 1, 2023 8:45 PM

Be sure to buy LOTS of Febreze! Your place gonna stank!!!!

by Anonymousreply 7June 1, 2023 9:22 PM

I prepare mine with a marinade of ketchup and pickle relish. The toaster oven toasts the pickles to a pleasing crisp.

by Anonymousreply 8June 1, 2023 9:25 PM

Place marinated fish wrapped in foil in dishwasher. Run on heat dry.

by Anonymousreply 9June 1, 2023 10:35 PM

Will the real Greg02116 please stand up!

Oh, who am I kidding—he can’t handle the truth.

by Anonymousreply 10June 1, 2023 10:38 PM

I’ve come to appreciate Greg. He has some good insights and has displayed a sense of humor. But he’s not the only person on this site who knows how to cook. Why not just ask your question without specifically summoning one person?

by Anonymousreply 11June 1, 2023 10:39 PM

Can you steam it and then pan fry it at the very end to crisp it up?

by Anonymousreply 12June 1, 2023 10:44 PM

R12 here- sorry, I read it as not having an oven- but you don't have a stove either. I maybe wouldn't do fish during a kitchen remodel but if it works out let us know.

by Anonymousreply 13June 1, 2023 10:46 PM

So now the creepy troll is posting to himself like Trump pretending to be "John Barron"?

by Anonymousreply 14June 1, 2023 10:47 PM

Now, R16?

Just now?

by Anonymousreply 15June 1, 2023 11:00 PM

R14, that is

by Anonymousreply 16June 1, 2023 11:01 PM

Invest in an air fryer.

by Anonymousreply 17June 1, 2023 11:08 PM

[quote] I prepare mine with a marinade of ketchup and pickle relish. The toaster oven toasts the pickles to a pleasing crisp.

[quote] —The REAL Greg

You're a lying and rotted piece of cod loin that has been fermented in prune juice, R9!!!

DIAGF!!!!

by Anonymousreply 18June 1, 2023 11:34 PM

None of these comments have been mine (including the OP).

I am at an event and can’t respond until later tonight.

R1/R14 — crazy conspiracy theorist(s)

R6 Dutchie — just your run of the mill asshole

by Anonymousreply 19June 2, 2023 12:18 AM

Hi - Heat the toaster oven or conventional oven to 425 degrees F. Line the oven pan with foil for easier clean-up (though this is optional).

by Anonymousreply 20June 2, 2023 1:37 AM

R29 is not me.

by Anonymousreply 21June 2, 2023 1:39 AM

^Sorry - R20

by Anonymousreply 22June 2, 2023 1:40 AM

Oh, I meant to mention earlier:

R14 = piece of shit

by Anonymousreply 23June 2, 2023 1:42 AM

And R15 is an even bigger piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 24June 2, 2023 1:43 AM

Be sure to put your salmon in a blender, with prunes and buttermilk until you achieve a paste consistency.

Then roll it into a log, freeze, and cut into circles.

Oil the pan with prune oil and then place salmon circles on a tray until black.

Then sauce the blackened salmon circles with reduced prune juice, and serve.

Enjoy!

by Anonymousreply 25June 2, 2023 1:43 AM

You could always make in en papillote, OP. They you don't have to worry about it drying out.

by Anonymousreply 26June 2, 2023 1:43 AM

Then*

by Anonymousreply 27June 2, 2023 1:44 AM

R25, my zip code is 02116.

by Anonymousreply 28June 2, 2023 1:52 AM

R23 / R24 We thought you "didn't have time" to be here right now yet here you are posting furiously

by Anonymousreply 29June 2, 2023 1:53 AM

En papillote shouldn't stink up your house as much, either. Here's to parchment!

(Recipe is for illustrative purposes. I've never used it as a recipe.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 2, 2023 1:57 AM

Well, OP, I am finally home and it looks as though you’ve received a good many answers to your question.

Glad there are so many helpful people out here tonight.

How strange that [bold] I’m [/bold] the one to be criticized, when I would have offered you good, thoughtful, sincere advice in your hour of need.

by Anonymousreply 31June 2, 2023 1:58 AM

"Well, OP, I am finally home.."

Get help.

by Anonymousreply 32June 2, 2023 2:02 AM

Will do, R32!

Mwah! 😘

by Anonymousreply 33June 2, 2023 2:13 AM

I wouldn't do fennel, I normally just do small potatoes, green beans and carrots and flavour with butter s&p and dill. I do throw lemon slices on the fish though. The other good thing about this method is it will keep the toaster oven clean.

by Anonymousreply 34June 2, 2023 2:23 AM

r34, yeah, I wasn't suggesting r30 as an exact recipe to follow, just to show the guy what en papillote is.

by Anonymousreply 35June 2, 2023 2:25 AM

r31 / Greg-

I still await YOUR response, though. I genuinely DO have those salmon cuts I need to cook up tonight with only access to the toaster oven.

I have no idea if Greg has "sockpuppets" as so many claim, but in this case, I'm not Greg. Truth be told, I actually had no idea who Greg was until last week when a bunch of Greg threads started showing up in my feed. I think each of us has a slightly different Datalounge experience based upon how often we browse the general feed vs. stick to our 'watched' threads.

Anyway, it kind of tickled me how much some of you seem to loathe Greg and, yet, how unflappable he remains. BTW, what the hell is up with these prune references?

by Anonymousreply 36June 2, 2023 12:26 PM

Good morning, OP.

by Anonymousreply 37June 2, 2023 12:29 PM

Morning, Greg. How was the event last night?

by Anonymousreply 38June 2, 2023 12:39 PM

Person who starts Greg threads = Defacto

Greg = Defacto

by Anonymousreply 39June 2, 2023 12:40 PM

Ew. I am not Defacto. Isn't he some Log Cabin gay? Right Wing gays are the worst. They are not getting any of my toaster oven salmon.

by Anonymousreply 40June 2, 2023 12:54 PM

[quote] Morning, Greg. How was the event last night?

It was good, thanks, OP. It was a fundraiser for a charity my partner and I are involved with.

R39 is insane. I mean truly insane. He thinks you and I are one and the same and that "we" are DeFacto. He's best ignored, but that's easier said than done.

by Anonymousreply 41June 2, 2023 1:39 PM

[quote] Person who starts Greg threads = Defacto. Greg = Defacto

There, there, R39. Why don't you take your meds and lie down for a bit.

by Anonymousreply 42June 2, 2023 1:40 PM

And now you'll have to excuse me-- my sardine and cheddar omelet awaits. Truly a breakfast feast for a kitchen king! Let me know if you want the recipe-- I share it only with the best people, and you, my friend, are la creme de la creme du homme.

by Anonymousreply 43June 2, 2023 1:42 PM

Greg, what's the charity you're involved with? When I lived in LA, I did a lot of volunteer work with homeless LGBT youth. I should probably get involved in something again. I've been living in Florida for a few years (for work,) , but I have good qualities, too.

Now, I don't mean to press you, but about that salmon...

by Anonymousreply 44June 2, 2023 1:54 PM

[quote] BTW, what the hell is up with these prune references?

A couple of years ago, I shared what I think is a very good recipe for poached cod in tomato sauce with prunes (link below). I went to a dinner party years ago and the host served this for dinner and I thought it was delicious. The host said it was a Martha Stewart recipe.

After sharing it on here, I received a colossal response—almost all negative. I stand behind the recipe (I might, in fact, prepare it tonight). I can understand one's skepticism about the unusual combination of fish and prunes, but trust me, the prunes get meltingly soft and jammy and provide a lovely sweetness to the tomato sauce.

In any case, since then it has become a DL joke: Greg loves prunes. What may have been amusing at the start (though even that is questionable), has run its course and is now quite lame. The people out here who lack a good sense of humor can't let it go, so you will see reference to it over and over.

No matter. I will press on.

Are you really making salmon in a toaster oven tonight? Is that your only source of heat?

by Anonymousreply 45June 2, 2023 1:54 PM

Sorry, OP, I forgot to include the recipe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 2, 2023 1:55 PM

Here is what is now a classic thread. I am honored that I have become a staple in DL lore, just like prunes are a staple in all my seafood dishes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 2, 2023 1:59 PM

Hmm. I can't say I'm the biggest prune fan, but I can imagine how it could be appealing if the prunes, as you say, get a jammy consistency. My parents are from India and my mum would often make fish curries with salmon and many of those curries will have a tomato-based sauce. And they'd be delicious atop basmati rice with a little bit jammy "pickle" as relish. Different style of cuisine, of course, but similar complement of flavors you're describing.

I should call mum for that recipe!

by Anonymousreply 48June 2, 2023 2:01 PM

Thank you, R47.

I can always count on you.

by Anonymousreply 49June 2, 2023 2:02 PM

I'm confused, is Greg02116 not Greg?

by Anonymousreply 50June 2, 2023 2:03 PM

There is one Greg and it is me.

My posts are always signed in red: Greg02116

I was forced to authenticate my signature because of all the imposters lurking about.

by Anonymousreply 51June 2, 2023 2:09 PM

[quote] My parents are from India and my mum would often make fish curries with salmon and many of those curries will have a tomato-based sauce. And they'd be delicious atop basmati rice with a little bit jammy "pickle" as relish.

That sounds good to me! Yes, call your mum for the recipe!

I would really appreciate it if you would share a favorite recipe for an authentic Indian curry. I really like Indian food.

by Anonymousreply 52June 2, 2023 2:12 PM

Doesn't matter R50. He's a troll.

by Anonymousreply 53June 2, 2023 2:25 PM

Thank you, R53!

Your attention is much appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 54June 2, 2023 2:29 PM

Op don't mind all these imposters, trolls, degenerates and all-around rude comments about Greg. He has a marvelous palate and wonderful recipes available to all with sincere requests. In fact, he is helping me with my 'June is Busting Out All Over Brunch' on Sunday and has suggested the most wonderful quiche recipe. I hope he keeps ignoring and plowing through these rude and salacious comments. Thank you Greg for being the DL Connoisseur of Good Taste and Etiquette.

by Anonymousreply 55June 2, 2023 2:32 PM

^^^^Greg himself....🤣🤣

by Anonymousreply 56June 2, 2023 2:52 PM

Thank you, Greg Groupie!

I appreciate your kind comments.

by Anonymousreply 57June 2, 2023 2:57 PM

[quote]My posts are always signed in red: Greg02116

I'm glad that's been cleared up. I like Greg and don't understand why people come for him.

Greg do you have a good southern macaroni salad recipe that you like?

by Anonymousreply 58June 2, 2023 3:00 PM

R58, I have an excellent recipe for macaroni salad that I love. Not sure what you mean by "southern macaroni salad" but I think you'll like my recipe.

by Anonymousreply 59June 2, 2023 4:01 PM

[bold] GREG'S "THIS WILL KNOCK YOUR SOCKS OFF" MACARONI SALAD—THE BEST YOU'LL EVER EAT [/bold]

[bold] INGREDIENTS [/BOLD]

2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked, rinsed, and drained

1/3 cup diced celery

1/4 cup minced red onion, soaked in cold water for 5 minutes, then drained

1 tablespoon minced Italian flat-leaf parsley

1/2 cup diced tomato—this needs to be a delicious, ripe tomato or else you can omit it

1/2 cup mayonnaise—I like Hellmann's or Blue Plate

3/4 teaspoon dry mustard

1-1/2 teaspoons sugar

1-1/2 Tablespoons cider vinegar

3 Tablespoons sour cream

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste

Freshly ground black pepper

+++

[bold] PROCEDURE [/bold]

1. In a large bowl, combine the macaroni, celery, onion, parsley and tomato (if using).

2. In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, sugar, vinegar, sour cream and salt.

3. Pour the dressing over the salad and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.

*Store covered in the refrigerator, for up to 3 days.

I am not a fan of most macaroni salads, but I have been making this for years and think it's delicious. My guests seem to agree—I hope you will as well.

by Anonymousreply 60June 2, 2023 4:11 PM

Thank you Greg (R60). And this comes just in time as I'm about to head out to grocery shop. I love Macaroni Salad, hate store bought, and haven't had a good one since my Grammy died. Thanks again!

by Anonymousreply 61June 2, 2023 4:27 PM

You're welcome, R61.

It won't compare to your Grammy's, but I hope you like it!

by Anonymousreply 62June 2, 2023 4:34 PM

PS: I sometimes add a small amount of briefly balanced broccoli florets and love it.

Please don't use big pieces of floret—just take off small bits of it. It adds a lovely texture and also looks nice. But they must be small pieces.

Be sure to blanch in salted, simmering water, then once tender place immediately in a bowl of ice water in order to stop the cooking and preserve the attractive bright green color. After the florets have cooled in the ice water, let them dry on some paper toweling.

by Anonymousreply 63June 2, 2023 4:39 PM

^ [bold] CORRECTION [/bold]

PS: I sometimes add a small amount of briefly [bold] blanched [/bold] broccoli florets and love it.

by Anonymousreply 64June 2, 2023 4:42 PM

The only time I rinse pasta is for pasta salads and lasagne.

by Anonymousreply 65June 2, 2023 5:37 PM

I love prunes, but on the downside, my toilet bowl is filled with diarrhoea.

by Anonymousreply 66June 2, 2023 6:44 PM

R66, if you're keen on posting about diarrhea, you might learn how to spell it.

by Anonymousreply 67June 2, 2023 6:57 PM

R66, I apologize. You must be from the UK.

Though you do seem like a wanker.

by Anonymousreply 68June 2, 2023 7:00 PM

Greg @ r68, do you make salmon patties?

by Anonymousreply 69June 4, 2023 9:44 PM

Hello, R69. No, I have never made a salmon cake.

Do you want to make salmon cakes?

by Anonymousreply 70June 5, 2023 5:08 PM

Yes I do.

by Anonymousreply 71June 5, 2023 8:39 PM

Greg, I have a tuna fish in my pussy.

How can I remove it?

by Anonymousreply 72June 6, 2023 1:39 AM

[quote] Greg, I have a tuna fish in my pussy. How can I remove it?

I’m not sure, but I’d wear gloves.

by Anonymousreply 73June 6, 2023 4:28 AM

[quote] Greg, I have a tuna fish in my pussy. How can I remove it?

I want to know more about that cat.

by Anonymousreply 74June 7, 2023 9:04 PM

Hope nobody caught it the other day when I was making an Official Greg post but I forgot I was still on my Gap Playlists account - WHOOPS!

by Anonymousreply 75June 7, 2023 10:20 PM

GapPlaylists: you were attempting to post as me?

by Anonymousreply 76June 7, 2023 10:37 PM

GapPlaylists: I want to know what your game is.

by Anonymousreply 77June 7, 2023 10:40 PM

Greg, you and I are the Barbara Thorndyke's of The DataLounge. It's okay to make fun of the limited ones like Rose and Madge.

See you for breakfast at the Mortimer Club!

by Anonymousreply 78June 7, 2023 10:42 PM

Do you still have a fish in your vag?

by Anonymousreply 79June 7, 2023 10:43 PM

Bonnie Bartlett?

by Anonymousreply 80June 7, 2023 10:45 PM

[quote] the Barbara Thorndyke's

Oh, dear.

And from a teacher!

It’s no no wonder this country is going down the toilet.

by Anonymousreply 81June 7, 2023 10:48 PM

R81, I will use the typical DL response: My iPhone ADDED THE APOSTROPHE!

I'm an apostrophe nut. I would never make that mistake consciously.

by Anonymousreply 82June 7, 2023 11:45 PM

Salmon loaf or salmon croquettes, with some kind of lemon dill sauce.

by Anonymousreply 83June 7, 2023 11:48 PM

R83.

by Anonymousreply 84June 8, 2023 12:17 AM

We poach our salmon in the dishwasher.

by Anonymousreply 85June 8, 2023 12:32 AM

Greg, I found a toaster oven AND a whole salmon in my twat!

What should I do?

by Anonymousreply 86June 8, 2023 12:33 AM

I've done that, r85. Thanksgiving, 40 years ago or so.

by Anonymousreply 87June 8, 2023 12:35 AM

oh, shit. I forgot about my thread. I'm sure you were all waiting on tenterhooks, but the electrician actually finished the work in my kitchen earlier than expected and I never ended up having to use the toaster oven. Instead, enjoyed a delicious salmon dinner courtesy of my cast iron skillet.

Greg, my mum is traveling, but as for Indian salmon curries, this is one I like.

My mum actually made a wonderful batch of tomato chutney that goes very well with this type of curry, but I can't be arsed to do all that, so I just buy some from the local Indian grocery store.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88June 8, 2023 1:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!