Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tonight's dinner with a good friend: Poached Cod in Tomato Sauce with Prunes

But I'm not sure what type of Mediterranean side dishes to serve with it. I'm thinking something with couscous. Any ideas?

by Anonymousreply 449February 17, 2024 12:32 PM

Shit on a shingle!

Or they can DIY after the prunes

by Anonymousreply 1August 6, 2021 4:44 PM

[quote] Shit on a shingle!

Thank you for your assistance.

by Anonymousreply 2August 6, 2021 4:46 PM

How about Ipecac?

by Anonymousreply 3August 6, 2021 4:52 PM

Don't call yourself and your friend "prunes". The term is eldergay.

by Anonymousreply 4August 6, 2021 4:54 PM

Mediterranean dinners call for the finest of caftans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 6, 2021 4:57 PM

[quote] Mediterranean dinners call for the finest of caftans.

Ah yes, the caftan queen! I was waiting for you.

by Anonymousreply 6August 6, 2021 4:58 PM

How about roasted vegetable couscous? Or do Israeli couscous as a salad (maybe with preserved lemons). I think Moroccan carrot salad would be good, too, but I know several people that hate cooked carrots.

Have you made this cod recipe before?

by Anonymousreply 7August 6, 2021 6:44 PM

Definitely couscous . Sounds like an awesome dinner.

by Anonymousreply 8August 6, 2021 6:53 PM

Baked Pears Elisha.

by Anonymousreply 9August 6, 2021 6:57 PM

Or maybe some orzo with fresh herbs?

by Anonymousreply 10August 6, 2021 6:58 PM

Pancakes Barbara?

by Anonymousreply 11August 6, 2021 7:00 PM

Crusty bread …. Nice salad

by Anonymousreply 12August 6, 2021 7:04 PM

Sounds lovely. Can I come? Ha! I like the Orzo with the herbs idea mentioned above, though. Delicious!

by Anonymousreply 13August 6, 2021 7:21 PM

What about dessert?

by Anonymousreply 14August 6, 2021 8:06 PM

🤮Sounds nashty,

by Anonymousreply 15August 6, 2021 8:13 PM

[quote] What about dessert?

I'm making a peach cobbler with peaches from my peach trees! Oh, and vanilla ice cream.

by Anonymousreply 16August 6, 2021 8:16 PM

[quote] Sounds lovely. Can I come? Ha! I like the Orzo with the herbs idea mentioned above, though. Delicious!

Yes, orzo sounds good. I'm heading to the store shortly.

by Anonymousreply 17August 6, 2021 8:17 PM

You will have the goodness to serve me the poached sole with one new potato and a small green salad with no dressing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 6, 2021 8:22 PM

And that is Natalia, with an H.

by Anonymousreply 19August 6, 2021 8:24 PM

[quote] How about roasted vegetable couscous? Or do Israeli couscous as a salad (maybe with preserved lemons). I think Moroccan carrot salad would be good, too, but I know several people that hate cooked carrots. Have you made this cod recipe before?

Mmmm...roasted vegetable couscous sounds good, as does Israeli couscous. I have not made this before but I once had it at someone's house and liked the combination of sweet and savory.

by Anonymousreply 20August 6, 2021 8:30 PM

Does your nursing home dining room have place cards with masks, OP?

by Anonymousreply 21August 6, 2021 11:18 PM

[quote] Does your nursing home dining room have place cards with masks, OP?

You sound very unsophisticated. Just because they don't serve this at the Olive Garden doesn't mean it's not good.

by Anonymousreply 22August 6, 2021 11:40 PM

How about a a nice side of culinary pretentiousness?

by Anonymousreply 23August 6, 2021 11:43 PM

[quote] How about a a nice side of culinary pretentiousness?

How about you don't act like a down-market loser?

by Anonymousreply 24August 6, 2021 11:54 PM

Prunes with tomato sauce?

Imbeciles.

by Anonymousreply 25August 7, 2021 3:01 AM

He's not comin'... they're all gonna laugh at ya!

by Anonymousreply 26August 7, 2021 3:19 AM

Start a blog, Greg.

by Anonymousreply 27August 7, 2021 3:21 AM

FUCKING WHORES AT THE TROUGH

by Anonymousreply 28August 7, 2021 3:23 AM

My pussy was for sale at the local farmer's market so these were the ingredients that worked Beautifully!

by Anonymousreply 29August 7, 2021 3:24 AM

But Greg, what kind of tomato sauce?

Commercially-made tomato sauce is mostly sugar and salt.

(I used to buy glass jars of tomato paste UNTIL I read the small print on the back. 'Made in China')

by Anonymousreply 30August 7, 2021 3:35 AM

This all sounds completely overpowering for the cod. Is it because you actually don't like fish?

by Anonymousreply 31August 7, 2021 3:42 AM

Cod is delicious but rather delicate. I can't imagine it with tomato sauce, let alone prunes.

by Anonymousreply 32August 7, 2021 5:25 AM

If it's a very light and fresh tomato sauce it could work. I second the orzo pasta idea or couscous. I would leave out the prunes. Any fruit besides citrus with meat or fish makes me wanna hurl.

by Anonymousreply 33August 7, 2021 5:31 AM

A very dry cherry or current jam is excellent with duck, IMO, R33. And baked apples with pork chops are pretty traditional.

Prunes with cod? It just seems bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 34August 7, 2021 5:35 AM

This is a traditional Umbrian recipe, usually made with salt cod. In addition, there are many other dishes where seafood is cooked in a hearty, even spicy, tomato sauce.

by Anonymousreply 35August 7, 2021 1:00 PM

[quote] This is a traditional Umbrian recipe, usually made with salt cod. In addition, there are many other dishes where seafood is cooked in a hearty, even spicy, tomato sauce.

Thank you for pointing that out. This is not nursing home food — it is a classic Italian dish and it was delicious. The tomato sauce is not at all overpowering and the prunes are meltingly soft, jammy, and work so perfectly with the cod and tomato sauce. I'll share my recipe for those who are interested.

by Anonymousreply 36August 7, 2021 1:12 PM

Poached Cod in Tomato Sauce with Prunes—for two

1 tablespoons grapeseed or canola oil

1/2 of a small onion, sliced (1/2 cup)

1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

1 cans (28 ounces) peeled whole tomatoes, pureed (about 3 cups)

1/2 cup water

1 pound fresh, thick cod, cut into two pieces

Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper

6 ounces pitted prunes, cut into thirds

2 rosemary sprigs (do not chop or remove leaves from the sprigs)

Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling

------------

Heat grapeseed or canola oil in an extra-large straight-sided saute pan over medium heat. Add onion, and cook until translucent, about 6 minutes. Add vinegar, and cook for 30 seconds. Add tomato puree and water, and bring to a boil.

Season cod on both sides with salt and pepper. Add cod, prunes, and rosemary to sauce. Cover, and simmer until cod is just cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve warm, drizzled with olive oil and seasoned with pepper.

by Anonymousreply 37August 7, 2021 1:22 PM

I really like the idea of serving this with couscous but I was running behind and served it with white rice which worked beautifully. The rice does a nice job absorbing the delicious poaching liquid. I also served sautéed rainbow chard which was also just the right thing.

I suggest serving this in a wide, shallow soup plate so that the sauce is more easily contained.

I'll share my recipe for sautéed rainbow chard. It was really delicious and a great accompaniment to this dish.

by Anonymousreply 38August 7, 2021 1:26 PM

Call them dried plums and your critics will applaud.

by Anonymousreply 39August 7, 2021 1:27 PM

Firin sebze with couscous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 7, 2021 1:31 PM

Tonight I'm making a famous dish that ALL my guests love, Chicken Cacciatore!

INGREDIENTS 2 c. all-purpose flour kosher salt Freshly ground black pepper 5 boneless skinless chicken breasts 7 tbsp. butter, divided 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil 8 oz. baby bella or cremini mushrooms, sliced and diced 8 cloves garlic, minced 1 3/4 c. sweet white wine 3/4 c. chicken broth with bones 1 and 1/2 c. heavy cream 2 tbsp. Freshly chopped sage Cooked angel hair, for serving

DIRECTIONS In a shallow pan, season flour with salt and pepper. Dredge chicken in flour. In a large skillet over high heat, melt 5 tablespoons butter and oil. Add chicken and cook until golden on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Remove chicken from pan and place on a clean tray. Make wine sauce: Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in skillet and add mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms are dark brown and liquid has been released, 6 to 8 minutes (if the pan looks dry, add a splash of wine). Add garlic and cook until fragrant, then season with salt. Add sweet wine, chicken broth, heavy cream, and parsley and bring to a simmer. Return chicken to skillet and spoon sauce over breasts. Simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 16 minutes. Serve over angel hair, if desired, rice is a good substitute

by Anonymousreply 41August 7, 2021 1:32 PM

Sautéed Lemon-Garlic Rainbow Chard

1 ½ bunches rainbow chard, trimmed and rinsed

3 tablespoons olive oil

2 cloves garlic, sliced, or to taste

1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes

kosher salt

½ tablespoon lemon juice

--------------------------

Separate the stems of the chard from the leaves. Cut the leaves into thin strips and set aside. Thinly slice the stems.

Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Stir in the sliced garlic, red pepper flakes, and chard stems. Season with kosher salt and cook for 3 minutes until the flavor of the garlic mellows and the stems begin to soften.

Stir in the shredded chard leaves, cover, and cook 5 minutes over medium-low heat. Stir, recover, and continue cooking until the chard is tender. Toss with lemon juice to serve.

by Anonymousreply 42August 7, 2021 1:33 PM

For whatever reason, I don't like fish with tomato sauces. Tomatoes in a side dish are fine, but not as a sauce over the fish.

by Anonymousreply 43August 7, 2021 1:33 PM

R41 was not really me.

by Anonymousreply 44August 7, 2021 1:34 PM

I'm conflicted about this fish/tomato/prune situation.

by Anonymousreply 45August 7, 2021 1:34 PM

I will make a simple brunch for my favorite friends in Back Bay tomorrow. Just something light and easy

Pasta Zignarese

Olive oil

1 each white onion, yellow onion, small dice

6 each garlic cloves, peeled, minced

1 cup dry white wine

1 bottle Italian dressing

1 stick butter

1 ½ cups milk

¼ cup Romano cheese, grated

¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated

To taste: garlic salt, garlic and pepper seasoning, Italian seasoning, serve over your favorite linguine

by Anonymousreply 46August 7, 2021 1:38 PM

This sounds disgusting! Ewww

by Anonymousreply 47August 7, 2021 1:38 PM

I usually eat my fish with salads, but the sauce with prunes works really well with a nice Chianti

by Anonymousreply 48August 7, 2021 1:41 PM

R46 was not really me. And his recipe sounds revolting.

by Anonymousreply 49August 7, 2021 1:43 PM

You may substitute the prunes with boiled watermelon.

by Anonymousreply 50August 7, 2021 1:43 PM

[quote] I'm conflicted about this fish/tomato/prune situation.

Please don't be. It is delicious and I wouldn't hesitate to serve this to anyone. It works so beautifully.

by Anonymousreply 51August 7, 2021 1:44 PM

Tell us more about your pussy for sale at the farmer’s market, r29

by Anonymousreply 52August 7, 2021 1:45 PM

Here is another version that I just found online:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53August 7, 2021 1:46 PM

And one more...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54August 7, 2021 1:47 PM

One more...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55August 7, 2021 1:54 PM

[quote]Israeli couscous

Ridiculous they call it couscous when it isn't even couscous.

by Anonymousreply 56August 7, 2021 1:56 PM

[quote] You may substitute the prunes with boiled watermelon.

No, I would never suggest that you do this.

by Anonymousreply 57August 7, 2021 1:57 PM

r52, well, it's at downtown crossing and believe me, the price ain't cheap!

by Anonymousreply 58August 7, 2021 1:59 PM

I find that using candied ginger in r42 also works, especially when served brunch for friends on the terrace

by Anonymousreply 59August 7, 2021 2:01 PM

So, anyway, last night's dinner was delicious. It was also easy and had such lovely flavors. I suggest you all give it a try. There's a reason the combination of cod, tomatoes, and prunes is a classic and is beloved by so many.

And please try my recipe for sautéed rainbow chard. It makes a really nice side dish and has a rich, savory taste that complements the savory-sweetness of the fish in its sauce.

by Anonymousreply 60August 7, 2021 2:01 PM

r4, believe me, I am a LOT younger than some of you, I'm 56 but look like 23!

by Anonymousreply 61August 7, 2021 2:02 PM

Just don't use rapeseed oil as that is literal violence.

by Anonymousreply 62August 7, 2021 2:02 PM

[quote] I find that using candied ginger in [R42] also works, especially when served brunch for friends on the terrace

Not me. Don't do it.

by Anonymousreply 63August 7, 2021 2:05 PM

R63 is an imposter, I would never write that

by Anonymousreply 64August 7, 2021 2:06 PM

[quote] believe me, I am a LOT younger than some of you, I'm 56 but look like 23!

No, I am 54 but look like I'm 45.

by Anonymousreply 65August 7, 2021 2:06 PM

and R11, we did make pancakes afterwards but with a coulis de tomates instead

by Anonymousreply 66August 7, 2021 2:07 PM

Greg here again with my recipe for lasagna. This is one of my favorites as so easy to prepare.

First boil the lasagna noodles until limp. Drain, allow to congeal and then rub with olive oil. If they prove extra sticky, Vaseline may be used (sparingly!).

Using your favorite jarred sauce or ketchup, alternate layers of the noodles with a combination of the following:

Steak tips

Canned crushed tomatoes

Minced garlic

Uncooked oats (as a thickener)

Olives and celery (also minced)

Hard boiled eggs (remember to remove the shells!)

Jordan almonds

Gibson onions

Canned peas

Frozen spinach

Whole chicken livers

Pepperoni

Alternate the layers with more sauce and Kraft singles (remember to take the plastic off the singles - forgetting to do so may affect the flavor).

Top with shredded mozzarella snack sticks. If you wish you can spell out your name in capers and anchovies on the top, like a special birthday pizza. I like to use Comic Sans as a typeface, but you may have a favorite.

Serve this to people from the Back Bay. It's a simple yet indulgent meal for tip top types!

by Anonymousreply 67August 7, 2021 2:13 PM

taht is BALDERDASH! No one with any taste would make that, this is my lasagna

2 pounds lean ground beef

3 onion, chopped

3 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste

6 crushed tomatoes

3 cups water

4 tablespoons dried oregano

3 teaspoons garlic powder

2 teaspoons fat

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

2 tablespoons white wine

16 ounces cottage cheese

1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

2 eggs

18 lasagna noodles

1 pound shredded mozzarella cheese

Step 1 In a large pan over medium heat, cook beef until brown. Reserve all fat. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, water, oregano, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and wine. Stir until combined and cook over medium heat until boiling. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 3 hours.

Step 2 While sauce is simmering, blend cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, and eggs until smooth. Set aside.

Step 3 Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 15 minutes or until al dente; drain.

Step 4 Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Step 5 Spread 1 cup of sauce in the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish. Cover sauce with 3 noodles. Cover noodles with 1/3 of the remaining sauce. Top with 1/2 of the mozzarella. Place another layer of noodles and one of sauce over the mozzarella; top that with the cottage cheese mixture. Top with remaining 3 noodles and remaining sauce.

Step 6 Bake in preheated oven 50 minutes. Sprinkle remaining mozzarella on top and bake 15 minutes more, until brown and bubbly.

by Anonymousreply 68August 7, 2021 2:24 PM

"No one with any taste would make that."

Ya think?

by Anonymousreply 69August 7, 2021 2:25 PM

Neither 57 nor 68 were posted by me.

I do have an amazing recipe for lasagna—using a béchamel sauce. R68 uses cottage cheese. So sad.

by Anonymousreply 70August 7, 2021 2:27 PM

that was clearly note me, and that poster can't even spell. If you want lasagna you want to make it light and easy, like a summer day in Umbria.

Ingredients:

1 pound lean ground beef

4 cups tomato-basil pasta sauce

6 uncooked lasagna noodles

1 (15-ounce) container ricotta cheese

4 ½ cups (10 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese

¼ cup hot water

Directions :

Step 1 Cook beef in a large skillet over mhigh heat, stirring until it crumbles and is no longer pink; drain. Stir in sauce.

Step 2 Spread one-third of meat sauce in a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish; layer with 3 noodles and half each of ricotta cheese and mozzarella cheese. (The ricotta cheese layers will be thin.) Repeat procedure; spread remaining one-third of meat sauce over mozzarella cheese. Slowly pour 1/4 cup hot water around inside edge of dish. Tightly cover baking dish with 2 layers of heavy-duty aluminum foil.

Step 3 Bake at 375° for 55 minutes; uncover and bake 10 more minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Step 4 Note:I used Classico Tomato & Basil pasta sauce.

Greg's Notes:

This dish pairs well with green beans, mushrooms, broccoli, asparagus, salad, or an assortment of candied fruits . One could swap out the beef for chicken or sausage or prunes, or one could replace red sauce with white sauce. Additional cheeses like brie could also be added. When entertaining guests, this could be served with the classy bread and salad combination.

by Anonymousreply 71August 7, 2021 2:28 PM

Hope yo pussy don't stink as bad as the salt cod!

by Anonymousreply 72August 7, 2021 2:29 PM

R70, cottage cheese is sad, as Donald Trump would say, but R70 isn't me

more recipes because I'm such a good cook:

six ounces salt cod

1 yellow onion, chopped

¾ cup dry linguine

¼ cup tomato paste

3 cups chicken feet broth, or more as needed, divided

Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste

¼ teaspoon dried oregano

3 cups chopped Swiss chard

1 (15 ounce) can cannelloni beans, drained

1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus additional for serving, or to taste

Directions

Step 1 Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Brown salt cod while breaking it into small pieces, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Add diced celery and chopped onion. Cook until onions are translucent, 4 to 5 minutes. Add dry pasta. Cook and stir 2 minutes.

Step 2 Stir in tomato paste until evenly distributed, 2 to 3 minutes. Add 3 cups broth. Raise heat to high and bring to a simmer. Add salt, black pepper, pepper flakes, and oregano. When soup comes to a boil, reduce heat to medium and let it simmer about 5 minutes, stirring often. Check soup consistency and add more broth, if needed.

Step 3 Place chopped chard in a bowl. Cover with cold water and rinse the leaves; any grit will fall to the bottom of the bowl. Transfer chard to colander to drain briefly; add to soup. Cook and stir until leaves wilt, 2 to 3 minutes.

Step 4 Stir in cheese

by Anonymousreply 73August 7, 2021 2:32 PM

None of these were posted by me, including the OP

Prunes with cod. The very idea.

I use a Seville orange marmalade demi-glace.

by Anonymousreply 74August 7, 2021 2:34 PM

I'm having roast rabbit tonight!

by Anonymousreply 75August 7, 2021 2:36 PM

[quote]But I'm not sure what type of Mediterranean side dishes to serve with it.

how about a dish of humble pie, you twat

by Anonymousreply 76August 7, 2021 2:37 PM

Okay. Whatever. Sorry there are so many jerks out here this morning.

by Anonymousreply 77August 7, 2021 2:38 PM

Greg could fix the impostor situation if he wanted to, of course, but it's also really odd that there's someone so obsessed that they've spent hours pretending to be him in replies and in starting new threads. That's not normal trolling.

by Anonymousreply 78August 7, 2021 2:38 PM

[quote] how about a dish of humble pie, you twat

What's wrong with wondering what type of side dishes will complement an entree? Is that lacking in humility?

by Anonymousreply 79August 7, 2021 2:40 PM

it is

by Anonymousreply 80August 7, 2021 2:43 PM

OP, that sounds quite good. I am envious.

by Anonymousreply 81August 7, 2021 2:45 PM

r78, greg is purposely ignorant about the DL, claimed he didn't know how to post on other threads, his is the greater trolldom

by Anonymousreply 82August 7, 2021 2:48 PM

Now R81 is definitely Greg.

by Anonymousreply 83August 7, 2021 2:48 PM

R88, I most definitely am not that poster.

by Anonymousreply 84August 7, 2021 2:50 PM

I read the title as your good friend served you this, and you wanted us to share in your horror.

by Anonymousreply 85August 7, 2021 2:51 PM

Ooh! I can't wait to see who R88 is, R84!

by Anonymousreply 86August 7, 2021 2:51 PM

R96 is a farce! I would never cook that

by Anonymousreply 87August 7, 2021 2:51 PM

He's just behind me...

by Anonymousreply 88August 7, 2021 2:51 PM

Will you make the vanilla ice cream yourself?

by Anonymousreply 89August 7, 2021 2:51 PM

r83, isn't it showing of humility to compliment one's own works?

by Anonymousreply 90August 7, 2021 2:53 PM

Check the dictionary, Greg.

by Anonymousreply 91August 7, 2021 2:54 PM

I only serve vanilla ice cream when I can grow the vanilla beans myself on my own plantation in Madagascar.

by Anonymousreply 92August 7, 2021 2:58 PM

that clearly wasn't me, I actually find ice cream trite, I served marscapone with maple syrup for my guests in Back Bay

by Anonymousreply 93August 7, 2021 3:00 PM

Polenta or drained pasta.

by Anonymousreply 94August 7, 2021 3:15 PM

Poached cod and tomato sauce should never be in the same sentence, let alone on the same plate.

by Anonymousreply 95August 7, 2021 3:23 PM

bread stored in a refrigerator and frozen turkey meatballs

by Anonymousreply 96August 7, 2021 3:24 PM

Im Gerg. To salt much in salted cod and I have a sMall stroke. Tonite for meal we having spaghettiso, compoliments by air fry chervil and fig gravy.

Bin appetite!

by Anonymousreply 97August 7, 2021 3:24 PM

LOL!!!

by Anonymousreply 98August 7, 2021 3:27 PM

Can your New England granny handle the acidity of the tomato sauce?

by Anonymousreply 99August 7, 2021 3:31 PM

I'm pushing seventy so Granny grunt is long gone alas

by Anonymousreply 100August 7, 2021 3:40 PM

R93 was not me. Nor was 90 or 92.

Regarding ice cream, of course I would serve ice cream. I do often make it, but for last night, I just served Häagen-Dazs vanilla.

Lots of silly people out here today.

Let me know if you want me to share what I'll be preparing tonight.

by Anonymousreply 101August 7, 2021 4:31 PM

[quote] Check the dictionary, Greg.

For anything in particular?

by Anonymousreply 102August 7, 2021 4:32 PM

Real Greg, would you [italic]please[/italic] claim an orange name? You wouldn't have to keep typing "[R93] was not me. Nor was 90 or 92." Some of the Faux Gregs sound pretty real.

by Anonymousreply 103August 7, 2021 4:34 PM

Okay. Let me look and see how to do that.

by Anonymousreply 104August 7, 2021 4:38 PM

Cod in tomato sauce is good but I can't really abide dumping nearly half a pound of prunes on there.

I'm going to try this recipe tonight for my husbear and I, but planning to use fresh ramen noodles rather than spaghetti.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105August 7, 2021 4:40 PM

I feel like black olives would be better than prunes.

by Anonymousreply 106August 7, 2021 4:42 PM

[quote] I feel like black olives would be better than prunes.

Give it a try. But do try the recipe with prunes as well.

by Anonymousreply 107August 7, 2021 4:44 PM

Greg is not only too stupid to know how to post on others’ threads, he’s too stupid to authenticate and too stupid to read his own posts, thus r102

by Anonymousreply 108August 7, 2021 5:12 PM

Some of you have such Frau fly-over tastes.

by Anonymousreply 109August 7, 2021 5:24 PM

[quote] Greg is not only too stupid to know how to post on others’ threads, he’s too stupid to authenticate and too stupid to read his own posts, thus [R102]

Not really, but thanks. Of course I read my own posts. Still not sure why I should check the dictionary. Care to enlighten me?

by Anonymousreply 110August 7, 2021 5:32 PM

[quote] Some of you have such Frau fly-over tastes.

So true!

by Anonymousreply 111August 7, 2021 5:33 PM

[quote]Care to enlighten me?

Nope, read your own thread and you will see, or not as stupidity might have it, or lying like a trolls often do

by Anonymousreply 112August 7, 2021 5:35 PM

Swordfish steaks with cherry tomatoes is another great pairing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113August 7, 2021 5:58 PM

r101, we all know you'll share whether we want you to or not

by Anonymousreply 114August 7, 2021 6:09 PM

For someone with such a healthy social life, you certainly seem to have time to dazzle us all with your cookery.

I haven't entertained with any frequency for several years, but when I did I was too busy actually cooking to bother to tell anybody the hows and whens.

by Anonymousreply 115August 7, 2021 6:14 PM

How many fake Gregs do we think there are?

by Anonymousreply 116August 7, 2021 6:16 PM

I admit it! I faked every Greg we ever had!

by Anonymousreply 117August 7, 2021 6:19 PM

Sorry, Greg. Doesn't the combo sound appealing.

by Anonymousreply 118August 7, 2021 6:21 PM

Reversed, the combo isn't appealing

by Anonymousreply 119August 7, 2021 6:22 PM

[quote] Nope, read your own thread and you will see, or not as stupidity might have it, or lying like a trolls often do

Wow. You may not need a dictionary, but you certainly could use a lesson in punctuation and syntax.

Think about it. No one likes the stupid.

by Anonymousreply 120August 7, 2021 6:28 PM

Greg = very unappealing

by Anonymousreply 121August 7, 2021 6:32 PM

Fruit and fish never go well together

by Anonymousreply 122August 7, 2021 6:37 PM

R56, can you explain the difference? I've read the wikipedia articles and I can't imagine why it's not categorized as couscous. Both are made from semolina (too many people think couscous is a grain). Is it in the way it's made or prepared?

by Anonymousreply 123August 7, 2021 6:39 PM

[quote] Fruit and fish never go well together

What a wonder you are, knowing more than centuries of Italian cooks.

by Anonymousreply 124August 7, 2021 6:42 PM

[quote] Greg = very unappealing

One person's opinion.

by Anonymousreply 125August 7, 2021 6:43 PM

Does anyone out here know why I might need a dictionary?

I suspect R112 doesn't even know, which is why he is being so coy!

by Anonymousreply 126August 7, 2021 6:45 PM

It sounds like a dreadful thing to do to an innocent cod.

by Anonymousreply 127August 7, 2021 6:46 PM

[quote] we all know you'll share whether we want you to or not

Not really.

by Anonymousreply 128August 7, 2021 6:53 PM

[quote] For someone with such a healthy social life, you certainly seem to have time to dazzle us all with your cookery. I haven't entertained with any frequency for several years, but when I did I was too busy actually cooking to bother to tell anybody the hows and whens.

Maybe because I don't have to spend as much time in the kitchen as you do. I was a caterer for years.

by Anonymousreply 129August 7, 2021 6:55 PM

Oh, ignore the gob shites, Real Greg. I like reading your recipes & I find that people who take such pleasure in feeding others are generally kind and decent sorts.

And to the philistines - cod with tomatoes is a dish that appears in various guises all over Europe, in particular the Mediterranean countries, and has done for hundreds of years.

by Anonymousreply 130August 7, 2021 7:22 PM

Cod with tomatoes and prunes.

Doesn't sound appealing.

by Anonymousreply 131August 7, 2021 9:19 PM

Every time this thread pops up I feel vaguely nauseated.

by Anonymousreply 132August 7, 2021 9:21 PM

Swordfish is very high in mercury

by Anonymousreply 133August 7, 2021 10:16 PM

[quote] Doesn't sound appealing.

I really do understand that this doesn't sound appealing. But I am telling you, it is delicious. I've served it to people who were shocked by how much they liked something that they never would have tried on their own. There's a reason this dish and combination of flavors has stood the test of time.

Don't some of you want to step out of your culinary box and try something different? Don't you want to expand your tastes? Don't you want to be open minded?

by Anonymousreply 134August 7, 2021 11:49 PM

R91, why should Greg check the dictionary?

You sound like a total cunt.

by Anonymousreply 135August 7, 2021 11:57 PM

I think some people are not getting that this is salt cod (because the OP didn't say it), not fresh cod. There's a difference. Salt cod is quite a pungent and flavorful thing.

by Anonymousreply 136August 7, 2021 11:59 PM

🤢🤮this entire thread.

by Anonymousreply 137August 8, 2021 12:02 AM

I'm the prune hater, but not a fake Greg. (You have to admit the fake gregs were pretty funny) Does that recipe come from the South of Italy? My mom's family came from that area and my grandmother on that side had the revolting habit of putting raisins in her meatballs. I know that is a more common combination in North African cooking and always wondered if there was some cross pollenation with regards to cooking. I raised so much hell about that combo she made mine with pignola nuts, which was actually delicious.

by Anonymousreply 138August 8, 2021 12:07 AM

I love the Greg imposters. Sorry, Greg, but you must admit that some of the comments are hilarious and remind me of the witty and bitchy DL of the past.

by Anonymousreply 139August 8, 2021 12:08 AM

Sorry Greg. Prunes are a culinary turn off. For me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140August 8, 2021 12:10 AM

[quote] Does that recipe come from the south of Italy?

No, this is a recipe from Umbria, a region of central Italy.

by Anonymousreply 141August 8, 2021 12:14 AM

I believe Greg's recipe uses fresh cod, which probably tastes fine. The traditional Umbrian recipe uses salt cod. A strong, firm fish like monkfish would be good, too.

I've had rabbit with prunes several times at a Moroccan restaurant and it was delicious.

by Anonymousreply 142August 8, 2021 12:15 AM

Greg, most people on DL don't know anything about Italian cuisine and think that Italians eat only lasagna, spaghetti, meatballs, and eggplant parmesan. Don't bother with them. They frequent Olive Garden and other places of that ilk.

by Anonymousreply 143August 8, 2021 12:16 AM

[quote] I believe Greg's recipe uses fresh cod, which probably tastes fine.

Yes, I used fresh cod. Salt cod can also be used and would be very traditional.

by Anonymousreply 144August 8, 2021 12:17 AM

[quote] I've had rabbit with prunes several times at a Moroccan restaurant and it was delicious.

Of course prunes with be good with rabbit. Or venison, duck, and pork. Prunes add a lovely rich, sweet component to lots of dishes.

by Anonymousreply 145August 8, 2021 12:19 AM

Pine nuts are great in couscous or quinoa, for that matter. Quinoa is a bit more nutritious and gluten-free.

by Anonymousreply 146August 8, 2021 12:20 AM

Obviously, many DLers still have the tastes of a child. People who have never graduated to a more sophisticated palate.

"I'll have the buffalo wings and chicken tenders, please."

by Anonymousreply 147August 8, 2021 12:21 AM

I love prunes but I’m very sensitive to them. I was at a dinner once and the host served a small shot glass of warm prune juice at the end of dinner. I don’t remember if the host was Greek or Italian, but apparently it was the traditional end to a dinner in his native country and region.

About 2 minutes after I drank that juice “shot”, my intestines started to rumble and I had to rush home and barely made it to the bathroom in time.

by Anonymousreply 148August 8, 2021 12:29 AM

R148, what a lovely story.

by Anonymousreply 149August 8, 2021 12:44 AM

It’s entirely possible Greg doesn’t like his “good friend” and served him this slop to punish him.

by Anonymousreply 150August 8, 2021 12:55 AM

This thread is so funny.

by Anonymousreply 151August 8, 2021 1:00 AM

Greg, Serving someone Prunes at dinner (or really any meal) is hideous and uncouth. But even worse is the rabbit eating. I had several pet Bunnies. They were such sweet, intelligent little animals.

by Anonymousreply 152August 8, 2021 3:36 AM

Craig here, Greg’s brother. I apologize everyone. Greg has always been an insufferable snot. He called our mother “mummy” til he was 17 even though we’re from Wisconsin. He wore fake glasses all the way through high school. On his resume, he lists that he studied at Le Cordon Bleu, but the most restaurant experience he has was working one summer at a Chuck E. Cheese. And I don’t think they let him make the food. I think he was the guy who cleaned up the ball pit when kids got sick in it.

by Anonymousreply 153August 8, 2021 4:08 AM

Craig, was Greg in charge of the grease pit? That could explain why his hole was fumigated in the basement of Mara Lago?

by Anonymousreply 154August 8, 2021 4:10 AM

I don’t know about that r154, but he’s been having these “dinner parties” since he was 6. The first time we all played along and then at the ends of the meal he presented us with a bill!

by Anonymousreply 155August 8, 2021 4:14 AM

Hi all. I just served salty codpiece with a few spurts of cream sauce to a good friend. Was out of prunes, so he licked my balls.

by Anonymousreply 156August 8, 2021 4:50 AM

Were the prunes purée so you can still eat them with your dentures out?

by Anonymousreply 157August 8, 2021 4:52 AM

Peach cobbler is a great dish -- almost a meal in itself the way I make it -- but too heavy for this particular meal. Better simply poach the peaches, add a nice sauce and serve with the vanilla ice cream.

by Anonymousreply 158August 8, 2021 5:30 AM

you made this, or went somewhere? I not a fan of cod. I might order it off a menu to be adventurist, along with small plates just in case I was right for my aversion.

by Anonymousreply 159August 8, 2021 5:46 AM

[quote] you made this, or went somewhere?

I made it. I made it and it was delicious.

I had it served to me at a dinner party once at someone's house and loved it. Everyone did.

by Anonymousreply 160August 8, 2021 12:09 PM

[quote]Fruit and fish never go well together

Lemon would like a word.

by Anonymousreply 161August 8, 2021 12:16 PM

I have to say I'm a bit surprised at how pedestrian and unsophisticated so many people's palates are on this site.

by Anonymousreply 162August 8, 2021 12:18 PM

Greg, mom says you left your microwave burrito plate in the sink again and she wants you to rinse it and put it in the dishwasher.

by Anonymousreply 163August 8, 2021 12:35 PM

Greg was always a dear child, but a bit over sensitive to teasing, I’d tell him stories about my years in the foreign services when he was young and was sitting on my lap, that obviously went to his head a bit. *sigh*, i wish him the best despite how he’s turned out.

by Anonymousreply 164August 8, 2021 12:58 PM

Prunes always make me think of the diarrhea song (phhhhta-phhhhfffft!)

by Anonymousreply 165August 8, 2021 1:18 PM

this song?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166August 8, 2021 1:20 PM

r162, you're either a liar or have never been on the DL before, "greg". this site talks endlessly about fast food joints.

again, you either are lying for trolling effect or too stupid to have ever read anything on the DL before.

by Anonymousreply 167August 8, 2021 1:21 PM

Greg,

I lied. I hated it but you were so proud of your pruney cod.

by Anonymousreply 168August 8, 2021 2:11 PM

Prunes in a main dish. BARF!

by Anonymousreply 169August 8, 2021 2:12 PM

I'm writing out menus for the next week (helps me know what I need to defrost in advance, shop for, rub or marinade, etc). Anything anyone is interested in?

by Anonymousreply 170August 8, 2021 3:33 PM

Yes, I'm wondering how much the Flatiron Building weighs. Thanks in advance.

by Anonymousreply 171August 8, 2021 3:37 PM

[quote] Yes, I'm wondering how much the Flatiron Building weighs. Thanks in advance.

About 20 pounds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172August 8, 2021 3:42 PM

Ta.

by Anonymousreply 173August 8, 2021 4:06 PM

I ended up serving a trough of baked beans garnished with a few dead dogs.

by Anonymousreply 174August 8, 2021 4:11 PM

That sounds better than pruney cod.

by Anonymousreply 175August 8, 2021 4:12 PM

[quote]I'm wondering how much the Flatiron Building weighs.

Twenty bucks, same as in town.

by Anonymousreply 176August 8, 2021 4:12 PM

[quote] I ended up serving a trough of baked beans garnished with a few dead dogs.

Not really, but I did put on my menu for next Saturday a traditional Boston Saturday night supper: hot dogs, Boston baked beans (homemade), coleslaw, and brown bread. Such a nice and old fashioned tradition.

by Anonymousreply 177August 8, 2021 4:37 PM

Well, if cod, prunes and tomatoes is good enough for Martha Stewart it's good enough for me.

by Anonymousreply 178August 8, 2021 4:37 PM

[quote] Such a nice and old fashioned tradition.

Mother, you’re so square! I mean really!

by Anonymousreply 179August 8, 2021 4:48 PM

[quote] Mother, you’re so square! I mean really!

You're one to talk, Samantha, married to that mortal, Derwin.

by Anonymousreply 180August 8, 2021 4:53 PM

Sounds fucking disgusting OP

by Anonymousreply 181August 8, 2021 4:53 PM

Baked beans is a chump’s meal

by Anonymousreply 182August 8, 2021 4:55 PM

[quote] Sounds fucking disgusting OP

First of all, it's delicious.

Secondly, you sound fucking disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 183August 8, 2021 4:55 PM

[quote] Baked beans is a chump’s meal

Well, I guess you'd know.

by Anonymousreply 184August 8, 2021 4:55 PM

Asparagus Greg.. Let’s start with for next week followed by New potatoes and a nice filet mignon for dinner. Garnish with sprigs for an added touch.

Love your style BTW..

by Anonymousreply 185August 8, 2021 6:01 PM

[quote] Asparagus Greg.. Let’s start with for next week followed by New potatoes and a nice filet mignon for dinner. Garnish with sprigs for an added touch. Love your style BTW..

Thank you! You're very nice to say that. I love a good steak dinner. I may do flat iron steak rather than filet mignon. How about:

Pan Seared Flat Iron Steak with a Composed Shallot Butter

Steamed New Potatoes with Butter, Parsley, Tarragon, and Maldon Salt

Steamed Asparagus

by Anonymousreply 186August 8, 2021 6:08 PM

I am loving this thread!

by Anonymousreply 187August 8, 2021 8:22 PM

R186 That sounds perfect Greg.

And a light crème Brûlée for dessert to top it all off which is light and airy and just enough sweetness.

Also a night cap of Courvoisier Cognac would be well appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 188August 8, 2021 9:56 PM

Greg-have you ever served Pussy Juice stew?

Random stewing veggies in Dutch Oven One sexually aroused woman

Place woman’s sexually aroused vagina over veggies. Have her spray pussy juice over veggies

Bake at 325 with cover on.

Serve with biscuits and head cheese.

Enjoy!

by Anonymousreply 189August 8, 2021 10:04 PM

[quote] That sounds perfect Greg. And a light crème Brûlée for dessert to top it all off which is light and airy and just enough sweetness. Also a night cap of Courvoisier Cognac would be well appreciated.

Thanks! Great suggestions! I'm not a big cognac person. How about port or a single malt scotch?

by Anonymousreply 190August 8, 2021 10:07 PM

Sheridan (R189), you sicken me.

by Anonymousreply 191August 8, 2021 10:08 PM

Greg, your threads bring out the best and worst of DL--but I guess that's every thread, huh? I write out menues, too, mostly to keep track of what I eat so I don't overeat, but also to make sure I use up perishables in the order I bought them. I'm a bit ADD, so lists are essential and I like making them.

by Anonymousreply 192August 8, 2021 11:04 PM

Remember to slap faces with impunity

by Anonymousreply 193August 8, 2021 11:09 PM

Greg, do you have a favorite cole slaw recipe for your Boston Saturday dinner?

by Anonymousreply 194August 8, 2021 11:19 PM

Greg, do you bake your beans in the hole?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195August 8, 2021 11:23 PM

[quote] Greg, do you have a favorite cole slaw recipe for your Boston Saturday dinner?

Yes, I do! Here it is:

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

1 tablespoon cider vinegar

1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice

1 tablespoon sugar

1 teaspoon coarse salt

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1/4 cup sour cream

1 small green cabbage, (about 1 3/4 pounds), finely shredded

2 medium carrots, coarsely grated on a box grater

-------------

Whisk together mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, salt, mayonnaise, and sour cream in a small bowl. Refrigerate dressing, covered, until ready to use.

Put cabbage and carrots, in a large bowl. Pour in dressing, and toss thoroughly. Refrigerate, covered, until slaw begins to soften, 1 to 2 hours. If not using immediately, refrigerate, covered, up to 2 days. Just before serving, toss coleslaw again.

This is a very traditional but delicious recipe for coleslaw. Let me know what you think!

by Anonymousreply 196August 8, 2021 11:27 PM

[quote] Greg, do you bake your beans in the hole?

No, I bake my beans in the oven.

by Anonymousreply 197August 8, 2021 11:28 PM

Do you shove your bean in a hole?

by Anonymousreply 198August 9, 2021 2:15 AM

Only eat my Mom's coleslaw, it's the best I have eaten. I believe Mom uses the recipe from "The Joy of Cooking".

by Anonymousreply 199August 9, 2021 2:25 AM

This is how I poach cod with tomato for one person:

1 portion of cod filet 2 plum tomatoes: 1 diced and 1 pureed 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil 2 cloves of garlic, sliced, chopped and minced 1/2 teapsoon whole thyme Juice of one lemon salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Place the olive oil in a small stainless steel skillet and saute the garlic for 2 minutes over low heat.

Add all of the rest of the ingredients and raise the heat for 3 minutes until it simmers.

Add the cod, cover, and cook until the cod is done and ingredients have formed into a sauce.

No longer than 10 minutes.

Place the cod on a plate and cover it with the tomato sauce.

by Anonymousreply 200August 9, 2021 2:34 AM

What the f_ _k ! (somebody fix this webpage) !

Here are the ingredients for post 200, above, again:

1 portion of cod filet

2 plum tomatoes: 1 diced and 1 pureed

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

2 cloves of garlic, sliced, chopped and minced

1/2 teapsoon whole thyme

Juice of one lemon

salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

by Anonymousreply 201August 9, 2021 2:38 AM

You served this already?

When I hear tomato plus sweet dried fruit I think mint and or dill would go with it. But I cook a lot of Greek stuff.

by Anonymousreply 202August 9, 2021 3:22 AM

Thanks for the slaw recipe.

by Anonymousreply 203August 9, 2021 3:33 AM

Greg has been putting on airs since he went to NYC 15 years ago to see Justin Bieber at Madison Square Garden. He is no longer allowed to bring dishes to the family reunion in Weymouth. Last time he put Hershey kisses in the hamburger patties and lectured us all on the historical mole' of Mexico. I don't think the Azrecs had those things. His strawberry shortcake recipe included chicken livers! HE said we were all unsophisticated when nobody would eat it. Sometimes I'd like to slap the gay outta him, but my sister would kill me!

by Anonymousreply 204August 9, 2021 3:34 AM

Aunt Sylvia I should stuff a fresh baked rhubarb pie in your obese pie hole.

by Anonymousreply 205August 9, 2021 3:50 AM

She's a troubled soul, I will pray for her

by Anonymousreply 206August 9, 2021 12:34 PM

[quote] You served this already? When I hear tomato plus sweet dried fruit I think mint and or dill would go with it. But I cook a lot of Greek stuff.

Yes, I served this last Friday and it was delicious. I also had it another time at a friend's house and loved it, so asked about the recipe.

It would be wonderful for a dinner party. It's easy to do and is something so unexpected and surprisingly good.

by Anonymousreply 207August 9, 2021 2:37 PM

Greg-you will looooove:

Pussy Chips

Slice desired amount of potatos into chips

Place chips on fully greased cookie sheet.

Place menstruating woman infected with Trichomoniasis over chips

Have her squirt pussy juice, menstrual blood, and fresh disease on chips

Bake at 350.

Enjoy!!!

by Anonymousreply 208August 10, 2021 5:41 AM

If Greg just signed with his real username, he could avoid this swarm of Greg imposters. But I guess Greg is into cooking, not thinking.

by Anonymousreply 209August 10, 2021 9:45 AM

greg thinks but only about himself

by Anonymousreply 210August 10, 2021 3:11 PM

[quote] greg thinks but only about himself

Yes, that's right.

Too bad I'm not open to other things like placing a menstruating woman infected with Trichomoniasis over some chips. That was such an enlightening response.

by Anonymousreply 211August 10, 2021 4:02 PM

[quote]that clearly wasn't me, I actually find ice cream trite, I served marscapone with maple syrup for my guests in Back Bay

In Boston we say, "in the Back Bay, not "in Back Bay."

by Anonymousreply 212August 10, 2021 4:06 PM

I did not write that (the above quote), but we actually do say "in Back Bay" more often than we say "in the Back Bay."

by Anonymousreply 213August 10, 2021 5:19 PM

I once got a blow job in the back alley in the back bay.

by Anonymousreply 214August 10, 2021 5:27 PM

Prune with cod and tomatoes? Fine.

But ASPARAGUS in August??????

Come on, Greg! What are you thinking?

by Anonymousreply 215August 10, 2021 7:26 PM

[quote] Prune with cod and tomatoes? Fine. But ASPARAGUS in August?????? Come on, Greg! What are you thinking?

Good point. I usually try to stay seasonal.

by Anonymousreply 216August 10, 2021 7:46 PM

FUCK seasonal, when my ego is on the line I go Condescending, I go Pretentious! Why apologize to the lowly ones when you can simply be and always do better than any other poster. Of course, I wouldn't’ really know, I never read the other threads, that’s for the little people to bother with

by Anonymousreply 217August 10, 2021 9:09 PM

Poor Greg, he tries so hard to be fashionable and still comes off like a mincing queen with taste up his ass.

by Anonymousreply 218August 10, 2021 9:52 PM

What? What? Why is everyone looking at me?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219August 10, 2021 9:56 PM

Tupperwear is GAUCHE, GAUCHE, I would be laughed out of the Back Bay

by Anonymousreply 220August 10, 2021 10:23 PM

I got bammed up the back door in the Back Bay. I said, "you almost broke my back, bae."

by Anonymousreply 221August 10, 2021 11:54 PM

Isn’t salt cod like fish jerky? I don’t think subbing fresh cod will work.

by Anonymousreply 222August 11, 2021 12:06 AM

It never would, but Greg isn’t that smart.

by Anonymousreply 223August 11, 2021 2:21 AM

“Er, uh, sorry Greg, I will be busy that day, er, I mean I am having an emergency appendectomy that entire weekend.”

by Anonymousreply 224August 11, 2021 10:45 AM

Sometimes I put my feces in my chocolate pies. Makes all the difference!

by Anonymousreply 225August 11, 2021 11:43 AM

You all think you're so amusing. Keep 'em coming.

by Anonymousreply 226August 11, 2021 1:58 PM

[quote] I don’t think subbing fresh cod will work.

Well, it does. I already said that I used fresh cod (as did my friend when I had this at his house) and it tasted delicious.

by Anonymousreply 227August 11, 2021 1:59 PM

[quote] It never would, but Greg isn’t that smart.

Well, it does work. And I am that smart.

Who are you? You sound fat.

by Anonymousreply 228August 11, 2021 1:59 PM

[quote] Sometimes I put my feces in my chocolate pies. Makes all the difference!

What a clever and mature thing to say. What grade are you in?

by Anonymousreply 229August 11, 2021 2:00 PM

[quote] “Er, uh, sorry Greg, I will be busy that day, er, I mean I am having an emergency appendectomy that entire weekend.”

Sorry, but my friends love getting together and trying new things. You might consider moving beyond your pedestrian suburban tastes.

by Anonymousreply 230August 11, 2021 2:02 PM

[quote] FUCK seasonal, when my ego is on the line I go Condescending, I go Pretentious! Why apologize to the lowly ones when you can simply be and always do better than any other poster. Of course, I wouldn't’ really know, I never read the other threads, that’s for the little people to bother with

What a strange thing that people have latched onto the idea that I never read other threads. I've been reading DL for years now.

by Anonymousreply 231August 11, 2021 2:04 PM

[quote] Poor Greg, he tries so hard to be fashionable and still comes off like a mincing queen with taste up his ass.

Funny. I'm hardly a 'mincing queen' and I happen to have very good taste.

Tell us about you.

by Anonymousreply 232August 11, 2021 2:05 PM

Ooh, Greg is mad.

by Anonymousreply 233August 11, 2021 2:07 PM

[quote] Ooh, Greg is mad.

No, I'm not at all mad. Just shaking my head at how immature so many people are out here.

by Anonymousreply 234August 11, 2021 2:15 PM

You're right. Lots of assholes out here who think their immaturity is amusing.

by Anonymousreply 235August 11, 2021 3:41 PM

No one is trying to be funny Greg, you're just so fucking obnoxious, nobody wants to see your stupid posts anymore.

by Anonymousreply 236August 11, 2021 8:34 PM

Greg here’s an idea. Get an account and use your username otherwise we will keep posting as you.

by Anonymousreply 237August 11, 2021 8:39 PM

My grocer sells Asparagus all year round just like many other fruits and vegetables that are not in season for that particular item.

I suggested the Asparagus Greg because I’m not someone who likes to sticks to the national consensus.

Anyway, have you tried making any delicious Chinese or Cantonese dishes?

by Anonymousreply 238August 11, 2021 8:47 PM

You know, there’s always canned asparagus. It’ll be just fine for you Backwash Bay folks.

by Anonymousreply 239August 11, 2021 8:57 PM

R236 isn’t speaking for everyone, Greg.

by Anonymousreply 240August 11, 2021 9:03 PM

They kinda are r240.

by Anonymousreply 241August 11, 2021 10:55 PM

I think these threads are great--combination of lol immaturity and excellent food guidance. I actually enjoy both and I'm sure Greg isn't truly bothered by the abuse. He knows this site as well as anyone does.

by Anonymousreply 242August 11, 2021 11:21 PM

I have a had a big laugh reading this thread but someone is being unnecessarily personal in it's insults.

by Anonymousreply 243August 11, 2021 11:23 PM

Poached cod in tomato saush with prunesh.

by Anonymousreply 244August 11, 2021 11:36 PM

Greg is a cunt

by Anonymousreply 245August 12, 2021 3:09 AM

[quote] I think these threads are great--combination of lol immaturity and excellent food guidance. I actually enjoy both and I'm sure Greg isn't truly bothered by the abuse. He knows this site as well as anyone does.

True that. I take it with a grain of (Maldon flake sea) salt.

by Anonymousreply 246August 13, 2021 3:47 PM

[quote] Greg is a cunt

Mom? Is that you?

by Anonymousreply 247August 13, 2021 3:48 PM

Yes, dear, you cunt.

by Anonymousreply 248August 13, 2021 3:49 PM

Just planning tonight's dinner with friends. But we may go out.

by Anonymousreply 249August 13, 2021 3:51 PM

You're not going to cornhole each other behind the gas station again, are you, dear, you cunt?

by Anonymousreply 250August 13, 2021 3:54 PM

[quote] You're not going to cornhole each other behind the gas station again, are you, dear, you cunt?

The jury's out. But if we do, you better believe it will be heirloom locally grown corn.

How's dad?

by Anonymousreply 251August 13, 2021 5:09 PM

Still barfing at the OP's recipe.

by Anonymousreply 252August 13, 2021 5:10 PM

[quote] Still barfing at the OP's recipe.

That's because you have the taste of a child.

by Anonymousreply 253August 13, 2021 5:29 PM

R253 is right. I've had this dish before and it's yummy. It's also part of the repertoire of classic Italian cooking. But I guess you know better.

by Anonymousreply 254August 13, 2021 5:30 PM

Sounds, delish, R253.

Tying on my bib as we speak.

by Anonymousreply 255August 13, 2021 5:30 PM

R252 would much prefer the classic Italian cooking served up at middle-America's favorite Italian restaurant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256August 13, 2021 5:37 PM

[quote]I've had this dish before and it's yummy. It's also part of the repertoire of classic Italian cooking.

No it is not.

The classic dish (Umbian) is made with baccala. Not fresh cod.

by Anonymousreply 257August 13, 2021 5:42 PM

[quote]My grocer sells Asparagus all year round just like many other fruits and vegetables that are not in season for that particular item.

Duh.

In the US everything is available at all times. And people have no concept of seasonal foods.

At the moment Asparagus is coming up from Peru. If you want to eat that way , it's certainly available.

by Anonymousreply 258August 13, 2021 5:46 PM

[quote] The classic dish (Umbian) is made with baccala. Not fresh cod.

Yes, that's already been established. But it can also be successfully made with fresh cod and it still tastes good.

by Anonymousreply 259August 13, 2021 5:50 PM

Then don't refer to it as "the classic Italian dish". It's not.

There is a reason it is made with baccala.

Also, it's a very specific regional dish. Not something you are going to easily see outside of Umbria.

Italian cuisine is largely not into integrating fruit into recipes. There are a few exceptions: Raisons in Sicily, "la Mostarda" with bollito in Milan . But generally no fruit mixed with savory.

by Anonymousreply 260August 13, 2021 6:00 PM

Oh, okay R260.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261August 13, 2021 6:12 PM

Take heart, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262August 13, 2021 6:14 PM

On the internet you can find everything. Everything. It means nothing.

Spend time in Italy.

If you can't do that, look to some actually informed food writers.

Fruit in salad? On pasta? No. Sure, some "chef" somewhere can do it. Why not? But it's not what Italians eat.

by Anonymousreply 263August 13, 2021 6:23 PM

BTW: I should have added the obvious one. Tomato, it is a fruit.

And figs are paired with prosciutto.

Of course if you want to but strawberries on your pasta, your America friends will love it...but try to find it on an Italian menu.

by Anonymousreply 264August 13, 2021 6:27 PM

Can I substitute Tilapia and Heinz tomato sauce with this dish?

by Anonymousreply 265August 13, 2021 6:49 PM

[quote] BTW: I should have added the obvious one. Tomato, it is a fruit. And figs are paired with prosciutto.

Yes, as are melons. I just didn't want to point out the obvious.

by Anonymousreply 266August 13, 2021 6:50 PM

Note BTW figs and melons are not cooked. They are eaten fresh. Merely sliced at most. As I wrote: "Italian cuisine is largely not into integrating fruit into recipes."

by Anonymousreply 267August 13, 2021 6:53 PM

Bacalau is a Portuguese or Spanish dish with salt cod. My mom could make it and I only wish I'd had her show me how.

by Anonymousreply 268August 14, 2021 12:03 AM

I dislike Cod. All to the fact I'm Italian-American and that fish stunk to high heaven. Though I do love pickled peppers. Or stuffed cherry peppers.

by Anonymousreply 269August 14, 2021 12:11 AM

From a site called Great Italian Chefs:

[quote] From the blood oranges of Sicily to the fragrant bergamot grown in Calabria, Italy is well known for its oranges and other citrus fruits. Juice, zest and flesh can all be used to add a sweet, juicy tang to both sweet and savoury dishes and the orange blossom, too, is often used in perfumes and oils. This collection of orange recipes demonstrates the sheer culinary versatility of this vibrant citrus fruit.

[quote] Orange pairs well with duck and game, with the fruit's juicy flavour offsetting the sweet richness of the meat. Lorenzo Cogo pairs orange with bitter radicchio in his sophisticated duck breast recipe, while Igles Corelli uses a combination of crispy vegetables, balsamic vinegar and candied orange peel to offset his pigeon breast salad. The chef also creates a sweet orange caramel to drizzle over his Latte brulé recipe, while Andrea Sarri tops his chocolate mousse with a boozy orange sorbet.

I am pretty sure that all of the world’s great cuisines sometimes add fruit to savoury dishes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270August 14, 2021 12:26 AM

Not arguing r270 it's the prunes that are the hard sell. I like Greg because he's able to take the trolling in stride but the combination of salted cod, tomatoes and prunes is unappetizing. To me.

by Anonymousreply 271August 14, 2021 1:15 AM

R270 Juice.

by Anonymousreply 272August 14, 2021 1:21 AM

I made Greg's cod and it was divine!

I didn't have salt cod, so I used fish fingers in a toaster oven. Fresh out of tomato, I substituted a horseradish and ketchup puree. For prunes, I used a fruit cup that sadly lacked cherry De Maraschine.

by Anonymousreply 273August 14, 2021 10:54 AM

[quote] I made Greg's cod and it was divine! I didn't have salt cod, so I used fish fingers in a toaster oven. Fresh out of tomato, I substituted a horseradish and ketchup puree. For prunes, I used a fruit cup that sadly lacked cherry De Maraschine.

I'm glad you liked it. Improvisation is the mother of invention.

by Anonymousreply 274August 14, 2021 6:15 PM

Greg, what did you make last night???

by Anonymousreply 275August 15, 2021 2:36 PM

I went out to dinner last night. But tonight, I will be making grilled chicken thighs. If you think you don't like chicken thighs, you've making them wrong.

by Anonymousreply 276August 15, 2021 3:14 PM

Blech. I prefer all white meat.

by Anonymousreply 277August 15, 2021 4:30 PM

Sounds disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 278August 15, 2021 4:32 PM

What sounds disgusting? The cod or the chicken thighs?

by Anonymousreply 279August 15, 2021 4:35 PM

Chicken thighs when carefully prepared are much more delicious than dry chicken breasts.

by Anonymousreply 280August 15, 2021 5:25 PM

Cod with tomato sauce with prunes. I am assuming you are jesting. Fish should never IMO be served with tomato sauce.

by Anonymousreply 281August 15, 2021 5:29 PM

[quote] Cod with tomato sauce with prunes. I am assuming you are jesting. Fish should never IMO be served with tomato sauce.

What a strange rule. Why not? It's pretty common.

by Anonymousreply 282August 15, 2021 5:31 PM

[quote] I am assuming you are jesting.

No, not at all. It's delicious. Give it a try.

by Anonymousreply 283August 15, 2021 5:31 PM

R281 - Wrong - fish, like cod, goes really well with tomatoes and olives. I didn't read the whole thread, but I don't think it's tomato pasta sauce - it's a lighter version.

The prune part has taken me by surprise - but I'm sure it could be great - sparingly.

by Anonymousreply 284August 15, 2021 5:33 PM

Ok Greg, I have a question. Maybe you can help me with this.

When I bake chicken thighs in the oven, I always end up with a lot of grease splatter, which of course is messy and sometimes causes the smoke alarm to go off before they are even done.

I thought about using a deeper dish, but then it seems like the thighs would be sitting in a pool of grease. I usually use a Corningware baking dish with a wire rack in the bottom.

by Anonymousreply 285August 15, 2021 5:33 PM

No thanks. Sounds disgusting. I prefer fish with a delicate lemon or white wine based sauce. I dislike fish with tomatoes and I really dislike it with olives.

by Anonymousreply 286August 15, 2021 5:35 PM

You are right, R284, fish with tomatoes is not at all unusual in Mediterranean cooking. You see it in Italy, Spain, and France. R281 must be a child.

by Anonymousreply 287August 15, 2021 5:35 PM

Actually, I'm a very good cook but there are aspects of Mediterranean cooking I don't like and seafood with tomatoes is one of them. I love a nice champagne based sauce or simple butter and lemon.

by Anonymousreply 288August 15, 2021 5:38 PM

R287 - yes, R281's follow-up post at R286 proves that his culinary experience doesn't expand far from a lemon twist on fish or maybe some rosemary sprinkled on potatoes. Groundbreaking. What other tips does he have for us - that we should remember to use salt and pepper for seasoning?

by Anonymousreply 289August 15, 2021 5:40 PM

R289 do you understand that their are different taste palettes? I dislike olive by themselves. Why would I like them on fish? I don't even like them on pizza.

by Anonymousreply 290August 15, 2021 5:43 PM

[quote]He knows this site as well as anyone does.

Does he? Never heard of him until recently.

by Anonymousreply 291August 15, 2021 5:50 PM

[quote] Ok Greg, I have a question. Maybe you can help me with this. When I bake chicken thighs in the oven, I always end up with a lot of grease splatter, which of course is messy and sometimes causes the smoke alarm to go off before they are even done. I thought about using a deeper dish, but then it seems like the thighs would be sitting in a pool of grease. I usually use a Corningware baking dish with a wire rack in the bottom.

Here are the two methods I use:

Trim the thighs of all excess fat (the fat that is hanging off the thigh).

Dry the thighs thoroughly and season on both sides with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Warm about 2 Tablespoons of canola oil in a heavy bottomed skillet. Place thighs in, fat side down, and cook slowly over medium-low heat. You are looking to render the fat and get the remaining fat crispy like bacon. As they render, you might want to pour off some of the rendered fat a few times.

Don't go moving them or touching them. You want them to slowly render and after about 25 minutes or so, take a peek. They should look mahogany-colored and the skin should be crisp.

The result: crispy skin, no excess fat (which is why many people dislike chicken thighs), and no smoke.

-------------

On a grill

Trim and season thighs as above.

Preheat a grill until very hot.

If using a gas grill, turn off one side; if using a charcoal grill, pile coals to one side. You want to grill the thighs on the side of the grill without direct heat.

Oil the grill, put the thighs on, fat side down, and cover the grill. Grill over the indirect heat for about 40 minutes or until an instant read thermometer says they are 185-190 degrees.

Turn thighs over and cook for just 3 minutes on side of grill with direct heat.

Turn back over to fat side and grill over high heat until crispy (5 minutes approximately).

That's it! Let us know how it goes.

Once the skin is crisp and a lovely dark brown, turn the thighs over and place in a 350 oven for ten minutes or so.

by Anonymousreply 292August 15, 2021 5:57 PM

Not sure why this Greg thinks he's the male Martha Stewart. There is nothing hard or mysterious to cooking chicken.

by Anonymousreply 293August 15, 2021 6:00 PM

R290 - so yo went from "sounds disgusting" to "fish should NEVER be served with tomatoes" to it's a matter of different taste palates.

You have baby tastes. And no, I don't believe you are a good cook.

by Anonymousreply 294August 15, 2021 6:03 PM

No one cares what you think R294. You sound like an argumentative troll.

by Anonymousreply 295August 15, 2021 6:06 PM

[quote] Once the skin is crisp and a lovely dark brown, turn the thighs over and place in a 350 oven for ten minutes or so.

I apologize - that last line should have appeared at the bottom of the chicken thigh procedure for cooking them on the stove. Please make note of that.

by Anonymousreply 296August 15, 2021 6:12 PM

R295 - right - and no one should care about your thoughtful "Sounds disgusting" reply or thoughts about tomatoes or olives either.

Now get back to your green beans almondine and wowing your guests with a slice of lemon on top of a salmon filet. I'm sure your pinwheel recipes are simply divine too!

by Anonymousreply 297August 15, 2021 6:13 PM

Thank you Greg, I’ll give it a shot.

by Anonymousreply 298August 15, 2021 6:19 PM

I don't make or like pinwheels, dear. I don't care for green beans almondine either. I know you think you are clever but you really know zero about anonymous DL posters.

by Anonymousreply 299August 15, 2021 6:23 PM

One might think something simple as poached Cod might be appealing to toothless meth raddled whores on here. At the very least it would a step up from the usual slop they get at their local soup kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 300August 15, 2021 6:50 PM

R299 - I know enough that you shat all over a recipe you've never had and made horribly wrong declarations about food. You don't like the heat, PLEASE stay out of the kitchen - for all of your guests' sake.

You came on her and threw shit and now you're offended that someone threw shit back at you. Hope you learned a lesson.

by Anonymousreply 301August 15, 2021 7:09 PM

[quote] Not sure why this Greg thinks he's the male Martha Stewart. There is nothing hard or mysterious to cooking chicken.

I never said I think I'm the male Martha Stewart.

How wonderful you are in knowing just how to cook chicken. Obviously not everyone is as gifted as you or someone wouldn't have asked me specifically for help run cooking chicken thighs. Yet someone did and I responded.

So, what is not hard or mysterious to you, might be less so for others. Why don't you learn some manners and stop acting like a douche?

by Anonymousreply 302August 15, 2021 9:27 PM

No thanks, Greg.

by Anonymousreply 303August 15, 2021 9:38 PM

[quote] No thanks, Greg.

Of course not. Manners are typically learned early in one's life. I'm sorry you were deprived of those lessons from the people who raised you.

by Anonymousreply 304August 15, 2021 9:56 PM

I have some salmon fillets from Trader Joe's. I am so sick of tarting them up like IKEA does or using the same old herb butter, blah, blah, blah. I want something exciting to do with salmon! Help! (In the house I have onion, red or yellow, garlic, broccoli, most spices, yogurt, lemon, lime, soy sauce.) I know I could google but I want something someone made and honestly thinks tastes good.

by Anonymousreply 305August 15, 2021 10:01 PM

[quote] I have some salmon fillets from Trader Joe's. I am so sick of tarting them up like IKEA does or using the same old herb butter, blah, blah, blah. I want something exciting to do with salmon! Help! (In the house I have onion, red or yellow, garlic, broccoli, most spices, yogurt, lemon, lime, soy sauce.) I know I could google but I want something someone made and honestly thinks tastes good.

How about making blackened salmon and serving it with a mango-red onion and lime relish? Jasmine rice on the side and some roasted broccoli?

Here's a nice thing to do when you make rice: add a couple of star anise pods, a few cardamom pods, a few whole peppercorns, and a bay leaf into the water. Be sure to remove before serving. And once the rice is done, fluff with a fork and then place a clean kitchen towel over the pan, beneath the lid. Then cover and let rest for ten minutes. This will help the rice dry out because the steam will get absorbed by the towel rather than condensing and falling back into the rice.

by Anonymousreply 306August 15, 2021 10:10 PM

Why Greg got fired.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307August 15, 2021 10:14 PM

Here is another very nice way to prepare salmon that I've used many times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308August 15, 2021 10:17 PM

[quote] Why Greg got fired.

That's right. Don't fuck with me.

by Anonymousreply 309August 15, 2021 10:20 PM

Thanks, Greg, I could do that with the rice. Don't have star anise, but may think of a substitute. I am a lazy bastard today, but I can try the soy-mustard glaze.

by Anonymousreply 310August 16, 2021 10:38 PM

[quote] Thanks, Greg, I could do that with the rice. Don't have star anise, but may think of a substitute. I am a lazy bastard today, but I can try the soy-mustard glaze.

Thanks! Just anything to add some flavor to the rice. Lemon peel would work, just avoid the bitter white pith. But do try the kitchen towel trick when the rice is done cooking and ready to rest.

by Anonymousreply 311August 16, 2021 10:41 PM

Guess what? I'm making this cod tonight. I have my tomatoes and prunes all ready. I have some friends coming over and they are a lot more open minded than so many of you out here.

by Anonymousreply 312August 30, 2021 10:12 PM

I hope they'll remain your friends after tonight, R312.

by Anonymousreply 313August 30, 2021 11:09 PM

Lots of fresh herbs. Parsley with stems.

by Anonymousreply 314August 30, 2021 11:17 PM

Cod poached in cooked down tomatoes is divine. One of my favorites.

by Anonymousreply 315August 30, 2021 11:20 PM

I like Greg but not this recipe.

by Anonymousreply 316August 30, 2021 11:21 PM

[quote] I like Greg but not this recipe.

Finally, someone with manners and class!

by Anonymousreply 317August 30, 2021 11:40 PM

Sometimes a little drop of poop 💩 goes a long way!

by Anonymousreply 318August 31, 2021 11:53 AM

Hilarious, this cunt is still looking for “manners” and compliments on the DL, what a fucking Farce!

by Anonymousreply 319August 31, 2021 11:56 AM

[quote] Hilarious, this cunt is still looking for “manners” and compliments on the DL, what a fucking Farce!

You obviously don't know the meaning of the word 'farce.' What's wrong with manners? Didn't your parents teach you any when you were growing up?

by Anonymousreply 320August 31, 2021 1:52 PM

Of course they did, but you’re on the damned DL, Numbskull. Go troll some other place, cunt

by Anonymousreply 321August 31, 2021 1:54 PM

[quote] Of course they did, but you’re on the damned DL, Numbskull. Go troll some other place, cunt

Don't you think the 'cunt' thing is getting a little old and predictable? You must have other words with which you could insult me. Use your imagination. Come on...I know you have it in you.

And, this is just further evidence that your parents did an inadequate job raising you with any class or manners. They failed.

by Anonymousreply 322August 31, 2021 2:00 PM

Greg, sweetie, this isn't Emily Post's house.

by Anonymousreply 323August 31, 2021 5:49 PM

[quote] Greg, sweetie, this isn't Emily Post's house.

And you think that manners and class is only for Emily Post's house? You sound very low class.

by Anonymousreply 324August 31, 2021 6:06 PM

No but I recognize a pretentious twat when I read one. You try too hard, little one.

by Anonymousreply 325August 31, 2021 6:13 PM

[quote] No but I recognize a pretentious twat when I read one. You try too hard, little one.

Awwww....must be nap time.

by Anonymousreply 326August 31, 2021 6:14 PM

No, I'm not the one who acts like an elderly old spinster who needs smelling salts and a fainting couch

by Anonymousreply 327August 31, 2021 6:19 PM

[quote] No, I'm not the one who acts like an elderly old spinster who needs smelling salts and a fainting couch

Oh really? And just how do I act like an elderly old spinster? I'm curious to know.

I can't think of the last time I fainted or needed smelling salts.

I am taking up space in your head—and I like that!

by Anonymousreply 328August 31, 2021 6:33 PM

Is say I'm taking up space in yours since you feel dedicated to responding to each comment. You don't see your resemblance to an old spinster? The "so rude" tut tuts. Getting a thread deleted because it was "rude". You're an old lady.

by Anonymousreply 329August 31, 2021 6:37 PM

[quote] Is say I'm taking up space in yours since you feel dedicated to responding to each comment. You don't see your resemblance to an old spinster? The "so rude" tut tuts. Getting a thread deleted because it was "rude". You're an old lady.

No, you just have low standards apparently. This whole business of calling people cunts and pedophiles is very crass and immature. The fact that you don't see that says a lot about you. If having manners and not calling people cunts makes me an old spinster, then I'm an old spinster.

rude and to call someone who points that out an "old lady" is also rude.

by Anonymousreply 330August 31, 2021 6:45 PM

R329 and everyone else who responds to Greg: stop indulging his craving for attention and maybe he'll just wither away like the Wicked Witch in Oz.

by Anonymousreply 331August 31, 2021 6:49 PM

[quote] [R329] and everyone else who responds to Greg: stop indulging his craving for attention and maybe he'll just wither away like the Wicked Witch in Oz.

Maybe—but unlikely. I'm not at all motivated by a desire for attention. I'm just sharing with people—many of whom like what I post.

So, I won't be withering away anytime soon.

PS | the WWW didn't wither away (you probably don't know the meaning of the word 'wither')—she melted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332August 31, 2021 7:02 PM

[quote]You sound very low class.

you sound insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 333August 31, 2021 8:17 PM

[quote]And just how do I act like an elderly old spinster? I'm curious to know.

no, you aren't

by Anonymousreply 334August 31, 2021 8:18 PM

[quote] you sound insufferable.

I am. I really and truly am.

by Anonymousreply 335September 1, 2021 12:55 PM

[quote] no, you aren't

Oh okay then. So shut up!

by Anonymousreply 336September 1, 2021 12:56 PM

Greg, you don't come on DL and order someone to shut up.

You're a masochist.

by Anonymousreply 337September 1, 2021 2:27 PM

Sad news. Greg is dead. He was farting prunes, cod and tomato sauce and the smell was so horrible that his roomate Brenda killed him. She stabbed greg in the penis first, but realizing it was too small she stabbed him in his huge gut. Then she rolled his flabby ass over and cut out his hole. Greg’s corpse was taken to the morgue where it eventually exploded from all of the cod and prune gases. Please do not send flowers. Feel free to donate to your local fish hatchery or prune farm.

by Anonymousreply 338September 1, 2021 10:31 PM

LEAVE GREG ALONE.

by Anonymousreply 339September 2, 2021 12:21 AM

He seems like a nice guy, R339. But also like a bit of a pretentious twat.

by Anonymousreply 340September 2, 2021 12:42 AM

Greg was buried at sea yesterday in a small fish hatchery off of Cape COD.

by Anonymousreply 341September 2, 2021 12:45 AM

There are very good reasons -- which this thread demonstrates -- why most posters don't adopt handles here.

by Anonymousreply 342September 2, 2021 11:25 AM

Thank you all for your support. I am happy to report that rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

I am in awe of R338's style. It reminds me of the creative writing of my nephew who is in fourth grade. A "prune farm?" I think that a good many of DL's posters have no idea what a prune is.

Anyway, thanks to R339. And also to R340, despite his calling me a pretentious twat.

Hope everyone is having a good morning!

by Anonymousreply 343September 2, 2021 1:16 PM

A prune farm…that’s just plum crazy!

by Anonymousreply 344September 2, 2021 1:30 PM

[quote] A prune farm…that’s just plum crazy!

Good one!

by Anonymousreply 345September 2, 2021 1:32 PM

Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 346September 2, 2021 1:35 PM

A prune farm is where they grow the plums and process them into prunes.

by Anonymousreply 347September 2, 2021 8:38 PM

Greg, are you fucking Brenda? Do you stuff her pussy with cod?

by Anonymousreply 348September 2, 2021 8:39 PM

Greg is dead. He Was buried near Cape COD.

by Anonymousreply 349September 2, 2021 8:45 PM

[quote] Greg, are you fucking Brenda? Do you stuff her pussy with cod?

No, I can assure you that I am not fucking Brenda. If her pussy is filled with cod, I am not to blame (or thank).

by Anonymousreply 350September 3, 2021 12:12 AM

[quote] Greg is dead. He Was buried near Cape COD.

Thank you, R349, for capitalizing 'COD'—I'm sure no one would have caught your rather sophisticated word play. You are very amusing, I'm sure.

I'm alive.

by Anonymousreply 351September 3, 2021 12:14 AM

Fraud! Greg was tragically lynched at a volunteer fireman’s Fish Fry for basting the fish in spaghetti sauce. He was swung up on an old oak outside the firehall. The Firemen tortured him by stuffing him full of cod. After a few days, his hole was infested with small birds and his pecker was eaten by a buzzard. Greg’s worm eaten corpse was the. Dumped into a fish hatchery. Tragic fate.

by Anonymousreply 352September 3, 2021 2:39 AM

R352 is a sociopathic autistic teen trying to convince people her attempts at "black humor" are not cries for incarceration.

by Anonymousreply 353September 3, 2021 2:51 AM

The “Greg hate” threads & comments are getting boring and unnecessarily cruel. I like a good ‘let’s beat up the bad guy’ thread, but let’s save it for those that deserve it, like Larry Elder, Candice Owens, DeSantis, and most of The Supreme Court (not The Supremes).

Not a guy who likes to cook and share recipes.

by Anonymousreply 354September 3, 2021 3:09 AM

I imagine Greg wears Wallabees and wide whale corduroys.

by Anonymousreply 355September 3, 2021 4:06 AM

[quote] I imagine Greg wears Wallabees and wide whale corduroys.

1.) I wouldn't be caught dead in Wallabees.

2.) It's wide [bold] wale [/bold], dumbass.

Do you know what a wale is?

by Anonymousreply 356September 3, 2021 4:10 AM

Greg, do you know what a joke is?

by Anonymousreply 357September 3, 2021 11:46 AM

Greg is unnecessarily nasty and snobbish r354, he says things with the obvious intent of hoping the thread goes off the rails, and I'm not entirely convinced he doesn't post some of these hate comments himself just to keep threads going.

by Anonymousreply 358September 3, 2021 11:49 AM

And he complains about imposters, yet refuses to authenticate. Why? He says he has to figure out how to do it but that's not hard for most people.

by Anonymousreply 359September 3, 2021 12:16 PM

Greg is witless and wounded

by Anonymousreply 360September 3, 2021 12:27 PM

It's his lack of wit that makes him unfit for DL. Pointless bitchery is no fun if it's taken seriously -- if you can't channel Oscar Wilde and Noel Coward, you should stay home.

by Anonymousreply 361September 3, 2021 12:37 PM

[quote] Greg, do you know what a joke is?

Yes, as a matter of fact, I do. Why do you ask?

by Anonymousreply 362September 3, 2021 1:29 PM

[quote] Greg is unnecessarily nasty and snobbish [R354], he says things with the obvious intent of hoping the thread goes off the rails, and I'm not entirely convinced he doesn't post some of these hate comments himself just to keep threads going.

I'm sorry to hear that you think that I'm nasty and snobbish. I'm not.

I love that you have conspiracy theories about me! And I'm relieved that my intent to make the thread "go off the rails" is so transparent. Listen to your heart about my so-called "hate comments"—Yeah, I make them all up....every one of them....to keep the threads going. I love making up illiterate and sophomoric comments about prunes.

Peace.

by Anonymousreply 363September 3, 2021 1:38 PM

[quote] And he complains about imposters, yet refuses to authenticate. Why? He says he has to figure out how to do it but that's not hard for most people.

The intrigue is fascinating! "Will he authenticate? Or won't he? And if he doesn't, why not?"

The whole of DataLounge is on tenterhooks!

Stay tuned, friends!

by Anonymousreply 364September 3, 2021 1:40 PM

[quote] Greg is witless and wounded

AWWW...thanks, babe.

by Anonymousreply 365September 3, 2021 1:41 PM

Greg appeared and GGG disappeared… hmmm 🤔

by Anonymousreply 366September 3, 2021 1:46 PM

[quote] It's his lack of wit that makes him unfit for DL. Pointless bitchery is no fun if it's taken seriously -- if you can't channel Oscar Wilde and Noel Coward, you should stay home.

Oh, I'm totally channeling Oscar Wilde and Noel Coward...with some Dorothy Parker added for good measure.

It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious. And you, my dear, are tedious. What a tiresome, affected sod you are.

by Anonymousreply 367September 3, 2021 1:47 PM

[quote] Greg appeared and GGG disappeared… hmmm 🤔

What a head-scratcher! This should be a Netflix series!

by Anonymousreply 368September 3, 2021 1:49 PM

[quote]Yes, as a matter of fact, I do. Why do you ask?

example A of being humorless, witless and purposefully naive

by Anonymousreply 369September 3, 2021 1:52 PM

[quote]Oh, I'm totally channeling Oscar Wilde and Noel Coward...with some Dorothy Parker added for good measure.

no, you aren't

by Anonymousreply 370September 3, 2021 1:53 PM

[quote] People are either charming or tedious.

funny that you should say that. You're tedious with your endless seeking of approval on a forum that never gives it. a bit tragic like Sisyphus

by Anonymousreply 371September 3, 2021 1:54 PM

[quote] funny that you should say that. You're tedious with your endless seeking of approval on a forum that never gives it. a bit tragic like Sisyphus

Oh okay. I'm hardly here casting for approval. Believe me when I say I wouldn't be spending time on this site if that were the case. However, I do get nice messages from a good many people—and that is lovely.

by Anonymousreply 372September 3, 2021 2:04 PM

[quote] example A of being humorless, witless and purposefully naive

Do others think I'm humorless and witless? I really hope not. That would ruin my day.

by Anonymousreply 373September 3, 2021 2:07 PM

Oh Op, fish is an entrée, not a main course. For Med food, you need a fully cooked baby lamb nestled on a bed of couscous for the true effect. Eyeballs are a treat!

by Anonymousreply 374September 3, 2021 2:12 PM

Thats sounds like something you would be forced to endure whilst staying with an old maiden aunt. Or, at boarding school when there have been issues with irregularity reported amongst the students.

by Anonymousreply 375September 3, 2021 2:18 PM

[quote] Thats sounds like something you would be forced to endure whilst staying with an old maiden aunt. Or, at boarding school when there have been issues with irregularity reported amongst the students.

Well, you are wrong and that is more a commentary on your life than on this recipe.

Though I do like your use of "whilst" and "amongst."

by Anonymousreply 376September 3, 2021 2:21 PM

Greg's a troll. I finally blocked him and, yes, he's got other names he posts under. He is tedious and humorless as others have stated and craves attention, good or bad. Quit responding.

by Anonymousreply 377September 3, 2021 3:15 PM

[quote] Greg's a troll. I finally blocked him and, yes, he's got other names he posts under. He is tedious and humorless as others have stated and craves attention, good or bad. Quit responding.

I post under only my own name. I have a wonderful sense of humor. The attention is lovely but not motivating. Quit responding all you like. I am interested in how my sharing recipes that I love has made me such a target.

I made a wonderful pastitsio that another DL poster recommended and it was delicious! You should give it a try if you like it.

by Anonymousreply 378September 3, 2021 4:03 PM

Greg = Erna v2.0

by Anonymousreply 379September 3, 2021 4:12 PM

I have no idea who Erna is, but she sounds lovely.

by Anonymousreply 380September 3, 2021 4:48 PM

You couldn't be more wrong about Erna, R380.

by Anonymousreply 381September 3, 2021 4:57 PM

R381 he’s absolutely correct. They are two peas from the same shitty pod.

by Anonymousreply 382September 3, 2021 5:09 PM

Greg’s genitals are unpleasant to the touch and have an “off” smell about them.

As for his sartorial splendor, methinks it’s all caftans and cockrings 24/7.

by Anonymousreply 383September 3, 2021 5:21 PM

Greg isn’t even channeling Olivia Wilde.

by Anonymousreply 384September 3, 2021 5:24 PM

Greg’s hole is corrupted by worms and his vagina by syphillis.

by Anonymousreply 385September 3, 2021 7:11 PM

Greg is over in another thread proposing Cod Chili with carbunkles.

by Anonymousreply 386September 3, 2021 9:41 PM

R4 The terme Prune is French.

by Anonymousreply 387September 3, 2021 9:57 PM

Greg claims to have been on DL since 1995, yet doesn't seem to know who anyone is -- first Davida and now Erna. Neither of them is worth knowing, but it would be pretty hard not to know who they are, if only for the sake of avoiding them. Sometimes I have to wonder if Greg tells the truth . . .

by Anonymousreply 388September 3, 2021 10:26 PM

Thank you all. Keep em coming!

by Anonymousreply 389September 3, 2021 10:46 PM

[quote] Greg claims to have been on DL since 1995, yet doesn't seem to know who anyone is -- first Davida and now Erna. Neither of them is worth knowing, but it would be pretty hard not to know who they are, if only for the sake of avoiding them. Sometimes I have to wonder if Greg tells the truth . . .

Yes, I have been around. In fact, I am the one who wrote about Philip of Formaggio Kitchen.

Anyway, I do not claim to have read DL every day since 1995, but I was reading it as far back as then. And I do not know who Davida or Erna are.

by Anonymousreply 390September 3, 2021 10:48 PM

Greg is Boris

by Anonymousreply 391September 3, 2021 10:59 PM

[quote] Don't some of you want to step out of your culinary box and try something different?

Yes! Anything but cods with prunes and tomatoes.

by Anonymousreply 392September 3, 2021 11:03 PM

Greg is channeling the chief chef for Aeroflot ca. 1982.

by Anonymousreply 393September 3, 2021 11:07 PM

[quote]And I do not know who Davida or Erna are.

Oh, dear, Greg.

by Anonymousreply 394September 3, 2021 11:27 PM

Never-mind them, Greg. What is on the menu for the holiday weekend?

by Anonymousreply 395September 3, 2021 11:54 PM

R395 I'll be attending a potluck Labor Day cookout in Weymouth. By popular demand I'm making my Potato Salad agrodolce, an Italian specialty. I've put a New England twist on it using maple syrup instead of sugar with the onions and tomatoes. Since my hosts have a great great grandparent from Umbria, I'll be adding my secret ingredient--prunes! Dee-lish!

by Anonymousreply 396September 4, 2021 1:50 AM

I’m making a delicious pot roast infused with prunes and cod. The gravy will contain my secret weapon, cod liver oil in a reduction with pears and brine from a case of pickled cod. Served with grits and Bechamel drenched in the pussy juices of a tender young menstruating girl. I’m thinking of a side of green beans and almonds in milk curds seasoned with oregano, sweet basil, dandelion, and chicken fat. Todaloo!!!

by Anonymousreply 397September 4, 2021 2:14 AM

I always thought your secret ingredient was semen…

by Anonymousreply 398September 4, 2021 4:07 AM

R398-that was before my Looong weekend in the sling. Still waiting for the penicillin to clean things up again.

by Anonymousreply 399September 4, 2021 4:31 AM

A potato gratin made with prunes. Maybe Greg is on to something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 400December 9, 2021 12:25 PM

OP's menu sounds like explosive diarrhea waiting to happen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 401April 17, 2022 9:39 PM

Another of his disgusting meals

by Anonymousreply 402April 18, 2022 4:58 PM

[quote] Another of his disgusting meals

Why don't you share with us how many of my meals you find disgusting. Go ahead!

[This will never happen.]

by Anonymousreply 403April 19, 2022 8:57 PM

Greg should apply to be on Anne Burrell's "Worst Cooks in America."

by Anonymousreply 404April 20, 2022 12:08 AM

[quote] Greg should apply to be on Anne Burrell's "Worst Cooks in America."

Oh, really.

by Anonymousreply 405April 20, 2022 12:15 AM

The only one that's truly disgusting is cod with tomatoes and prunes. The others have way too many flavors mixed in each course, like a specialty burger platter at Chili's that's available for a limited time only.

by Anonymousreply 406April 25, 2022 1:11 AM

[bold] The only one that's truly disgusting is cod with tomatoes and prunes. The others have way too many flavors mixed in each course, like a specialty burger platter at Chili's that's available for a limited time only.

I'm afraid to say, you are wrong on all counts.

by Anonymousreply 407April 25, 2022 1:27 AM

OK you Twaats...Back off I asked Greg on another thread for some cod recipes. This is between me & Greg.

Leave Greg alone!..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 408April 25, 2022 1:38 AM

As we approach the first anniversary of Greg's seminal recipe, let us reflect on all the flavors he has brought us.

by Anonymousreply 409July 2, 2022 7:29 PM

[quote] As we approach the first anniversary of Greg's seminal recipe, let us reflect on all the flavors he has brought us.

Thank you to the person who posted this. It's been a wonderful year on DL. I look forward to what the new year will bring!

Just curious? Has [bold] anyone [/bold] tried this delicious cod recipe? It is so good!

by Anonymousreply 410July 3, 2022 12:09 AM

In exactly one week we will commemorate the second anniversary of a post that changed Datalounge forever.

Has anyone tried this iconic recipe?

I suggest everyone plan to prepare this fish next Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 411July 30, 2023 2:58 PM

ABORT ABORT ABORT

CHUCK IT DOWN THE PAN!

GET ME.....A KNITTING NEEDLE!

by Anonymousreply 412July 30, 2023 3:03 PM

R412, what kind of attitude is that?

by Anonymousreply 413July 30, 2023 3:23 PM

I am appalled by the lack of response to my reminder.

by Anonymousreply 414July 30, 2023 10:08 PM

Just 6 days to the second anniversary of the posting of my cod loin with tomato sauce and prunes recipe.

I hope someone new will try it.

It’s a DL favorite.

by Anonymousreply 415July 31, 2023 11:13 AM

How will you jazz it up so its special for your second anniversary R415?

Do you have a dramatically flowing caftan for the occasion?

by Anonymousreply 416July 31, 2023 11:23 AM

[quote] How will you jazz it up so its special for your second anniversary [R415]?

What a good question, R416.

I may use sparklers.

[quote] Do you have a dramatically flowing caftan for the occasion?

It’s flowing, but I’m not sure how dramatically.

by Anonymousreply 417July 31, 2023 11:35 AM

I'll jazz it up by gizzing on it, R416, giving it a little extra "kick."

by Anonymousreply 418July 31, 2023 12:03 PM

My hospitality dazzles my guests. So do my prunes.

by Anonymousreply 419July 31, 2023 1:28 PM

Wow! Almost two years. How time flies!

by Anonymousreply 420July 31, 2023 2:19 PM

[quote] I'll jazz it up by gizzing on it, [R416], giving it a little extra "kick."

Oh, dear.

Are you sure you won't "gazz it up?"

by Anonymousreply 421July 31, 2023 3:27 PM

[quote] Wow! Almost two years. How time flies!

It's true, R20!

by Anonymousreply 422July 31, 2023 3:29 PM

Tomorrow is the two year anniversary of the post that took on a life of its own.

by Anonymousreply 423August 5, 2023 1:32 PM

Two years later I still have the runs from this.

by Anonymousreply 424August 5, 2023 1:36 PM

We all do R424.

by Anonymousreply 425August 5, 2023 2:03 PM

Greg why don't you post photos of your culinary masterpieces? That would be fun to see.

by Anonymousreply 426August 5, 2023 2:04 PM

Okay, R426.

I have in the past.

by Anonymousreply 427August 5, 2023 2:30 PM

Greg, I can get with the Cod and the tomato sauce. It sounds delicious. But the Prunes? I can't. BTW, great ideas here for side dishes.

by Anonymousreply 428August 5, 2023 2:50 PM

R428, just give it a try. It's really good. The prunes become jammy and go surprisingly well with the tomato sauce.

by Anonymousreply 429August 5, 2023 3:08 PM

To R423, now we have reason to have a party tomorrow on the beach. 2nd anniversary of Greg's Poached Cod recipe thread!!

We are having my DIL's Fish Stew in tomato sauce (with cod), I am making the Jello with fruit for the grandkids. My neighbors are cooking lots of brisket, they have a smoker, plus they do the best BBQ ever.

by Anonymousreply 430August 5, 2023 4:31 PM

Thank you, R430 - Phillywhore!

Sounds delicious! Hope you have fun!

by Anonymousreply 431August 5, 2023 4:57 PM

Reheated spaghetti and a slice of garlic bread.

by Anonymousreply 432October 9, 2023 8:31 PM

Breakfast for dinner. Fried ham, eggs with hash browns.

by Anonymousreply 433October 9, 2023 10:49 PM

MorningStar Farms Veggie Chik'n Nuggets, baked beans and jellied cranberry sauce.

I heated the nuggets and beans in the microwave. Five minutes to delicious.

by Anonymousreply 434October 9, 2023 11:02 PM

BUMP!

by Anonymousreply 435February 8, 2024 2:49 PM

lol. Hello BUMP! Troll 😈

by Anonymousreply 436February 8, 2024 5:07 PM

Why is the OP of this thread also posting and replying to himself as

Brad at R147?

AM at R180?

Ron at R187?

BostonPete at R254?

Larry in CT at R275?

by Anonymousreply 437February 8, 2024 5:25 PM

I’m not.

by Anonymousreply 438February 8, 2024 9:21 PM

Not "you" at R438. Greg02116 has a different UUID.

But you are the OP of this thread. You started this thread in 2021 with the UUID linked to BostonPete, even though you signed all your posts as Greg. Anyone who puts the original poster on ignore will see that all of the threads signed "Greg" will disappear, along with BostonPete and all the rest.

by Anonymousreply 439February 8, 2024 9:28 PM

^ Fascinating!

by Anonymousreply 440February 8, 2024 9:34 PM

What’s really amusing are the people still talking about something I posted nearly three years ago.

Life must be pretty unglamorous.

Maybe they should take up bowling or embroidery.

by Anonymousreply 441February 8, 2024 9:47 PM

Okay Brad/Ron/Larry/Pete/Greg @ R441.

Your deflections are as sophomoric as your culinary skills.

Meanwhile, everyone should direct their gaze upthread to R437. So illuminating!

by Anonymousreply 442February 9, 2024 1:34 PM

[quote] Your deflections are as sophomoric as your culinary skills.

That's very amusing.

My culinary skills are pretty top-notch.

Please, everyone, follow R442's lead. It's very important to him that you do.

by Anonymousreply 443February 9, 2024 2:16 PM

Copying recipes and stealing photos from various platings you have found around the internet do not constitute culinary skills.

You have been caught lying repeatedly about your posting identity and even where you live. Why would we believe you know how to cook?

by Anonymousreply 444February 9, 2024 5:16 PM

[quote] Copying recipes and stealing photos from various platings you have found around the internet do not constitute culinary skills. You have been caught lying repeatedly about your posting identity and even where you live. Why would we believe you know how to cook?

No lies about any of it.

But you? You are a crazy person. Someone whom people out here do not like.

Now do us a favor and crawl back under your rock.

I'm making a lovely pork shoulder dinner with roasted potatoes and carrots.

[quote] Stealing photos from various platings you have found around the internet do not constitute culinary skills.

I can't stop laughing!

by Anonymousreply 445February 9, 2024 10:46 PM

You don’t sound like you’re laughing. You sound mad. After all this time, finally caught out in your lies.

And you were already in trouble too! I don’t think you’ve been able to make a single post that got beyond 20 responses in over six months! Pathetic!

Now this. Whatever shred of credibility you once had, it’s now gone up in smoke.

Time for another sock puppet!

by Anonymousreply 446February 10, 2024 2:04 AM

Okay.

by Anonymousreply 447February 10, 2024 4:23 AM

[quote] And you were already in trouble too! I don’t think you’ve been able to make a single post that got beyond 20 responses in over six months! Pathetic!

Thank you for counting. I do not, but I appreciate that you do,.

Not a single post that received more than 20 responses in over six months?!

That really is pathetic.

Could you please recount my responses, because I think that might not be entirely accurate.

Thank you for your service.

by Anonymousreply 448February 14, 2024 3:30 PM

Greg started a new thread (without signing his many posts in it) whining about the guy in this thread who has exposed Greg's sock puppets/alternate accounts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 449February 17, 2024 12:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!