Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'The Righteous Gemstones' season 3

[quote]When the spoiled Gemstone children finally get their wish to take control of the Church, they discover leadership is harder than they imagined and that their extravagant lifestyle comes with a heavy price.

First two episodes out June 18.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61February 4, 2024 7:37 PM

Season 2 thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 1, 2023 10:29 AM

Edi Patterson should be receiving so many awards for her performance.

by Anonymousreply 2June 1, 2023 2:21 PM

Uncle Baby Billy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 1, 2023 3:14 PM

Am I the only person about to start watching S3? Honestly S2 fell a bit flat for me. Fewer jokes landed as the season progressed.

by Anonymousreply 4June 21, 2023 1:05 AM

The first two episodes of season three were excellent. So many great lines. The Gemstone children are such self-absorbed assholes.

by Anonymousreply 5June 22, 2023 5:14 PM

I enjoyed Keefe's fire dancing performance in S3E03. Where'd he get that outfit!

by Anonymousreply 6June 28, 2023 5:21 AM

Uncle Baby Billy's song at the beginning is one of the best things I've seen all year.

by Anonymousreply 7June 28, 2023 4:23 PM

Why aren’t more people talking about this show on here? It is laugh out loud funny.

by Anonymousreply 8July 5, 2023 10:47 AM

I've forgotten everything about it since the second season ended, so I'm starting from the beginning once I finish The Bear. I'm hearing good things about this season.

by Anonymousreply 9July 5, 2023 10:58 AM

Anyone still watching? This season has been pretty good overall.

The flashback episode was excellent. Eli grifting people over Y2K is really shady.

by Anonymousreply 10July 14, 2023 3:38 PM

Started watching from the beginning yesterday to prepare for the third season and holy crap, this show is hilarious! I had it on in the background when it originally came out and dropped it during the second season because I wasn't feeling it, but now I see that's not the way to watch it at all. There are laugh out loud moments that make me cackle for sure, but it's more that I'm just in a constant state of mirth watching it because of all the subtle little comedy details; that got lost completely when I had it on as background noise. I'm halfway through the first season and I'm gonna binge the shit out of the other two today and tomorrow.

The sister character is a scene stealer and I recall thinking the same thing back then, so I'm glad she's getting recognised for her work in this role more and more.

by Anonymousreply 11July 15, 2023 2:18 PM

I lost it when Uncle Billy threatened to sell the hologram of Aimee-Leigh to the sex shows in Thailand, unless Jesse bought his bible quiz show. Hilarious. What a bribe!

Judy was very hard to like while berating Eli - his horrible kids won't let him enjoy his retirement and her selfishness knows no bounds.

by Anonymousreply 12July 17, 2023 2:19 AM

Lots of dick and balls and ass on view in tonight's episode, courtesy of the dude who plays Judy's creepy boyfriend. BJ sneaks into the boyfriends house after getting the courage to stand up for himself and stop being called a cuck by Jesse's cronies - he has been training and is there to fight. BJ finds the BF stroking it naked in bed, then they brawl though the house, while Judy's BF's junk is flapping in the breeze.

After they brawl in the house, it ends up out on the lawn. BF stands over a beat up BJ, but as a last move, BJ grabs the guys balls and pulls. It is crazy.

by Anonymousreply 13July 17, 2023 2:44 AM

Not sure what the Montgomery brothers play is. Last week they seemed to be conspiring with their dad to blow up the Gemstones but this week they're lying to dad that they stole The Redeemer from Jesse. Playing both sides, possibly, but to what end?

by Anonymousreply 14July 17, 2023 5:41 AM

This season is good, but it's almost going a little too far in making the Gemstones children unlikeable. In last night's episode, Jesse tells Amber she doesn't matter, Judy tells Eli she hates him for not solving a problem she created and Kelvin coldly dumps Keefe.

The three of them have always been selfish and arrogant but still funny. This time, though, it's getting harder to laugh at them with how poorly they treat the people in their orbit.

by Anonymousreply 15July 17, 2023 2:45 PM

I need to catch up on this season. Though it did always annoy me they got so much mileage out of joking about Kevin/Keef seeming gay but seemed scared to follow through on them actually being gay.

by Anonymousreply 16July 17, 2023 3:10 PM

Season 3 is MUCH funnier than season 2. Season 2 felt scattered, darker, and had too many pointless action and chase sequences. Several episodes were a chore to get through with very few laughs.

by Anonymousreply 17July 17, 2023 3:20 PM

Just done bingeing the first and the second season, onto the third one. This show is awesome and so consistently entertaining, I can't believe I've been sleeping on it for so long. The shit that comes out of Judy's mouth alone, dear lord.

Weirdly, my favourite part of the show is Aimee-Leigh. She's the heart of that family even though she doesn't appear that often, and I feel like they'd all be irredeemable without her. Can't believe Uncle Baby Billy wanted her to tap dance her way through her third pregnancy, he's just the worst. But in the most entertaining way possible!

by Anonymousreply 18July 18, 2023 3:23 PM

Ironically we just started watching this series on Saturday and are at ep. 4 of season one. I'm still on the fence about it, can't figure out where it may be going; if the dad is being written and somewhat sympathetic or not. Is John Goodman no longer in it at season 3? Also, I see the comment about Aimee Leigh. Is she not actually dead or are they just doing flashbacks with her? (I don't mind spoilers).

I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before "Kelvin" comes out.?. I don't know why but I've always found the actor who plays Kelvin to be off-putting. Something gross about him. I'm sure he's a perfectly nice person, but something about the actor himself makes me recoil. Even when I've seen him on commercials.

by Anonymousreply 19July 18, 2023 3:38 PM

Aimee-Leigh is in flashbacks only, but she leaves a big impression.

by Anonymousreply 20July 18, 2023 3:44 PM

All caught up now. Third season really picked up after the third episode and I found the second season slightly funnier than this one.

Judy getting throat punched by Kristen Johnston for the second time and saying Colombian coffee gave her panic shits made me howl!

The way Uncle Baby Billy has been leeching off Aimee-Leigh's talent all her life and even now after her death is so deplorable, yet so funny. He just refuses to let go of that money bone.

by Anonymousreply 21July 19, 2023 1:04 PM

R21 - Just started the series, on season one. Is John Goodman's character still on the show (you can spoil, I don't mind). I'm assuming you like it but from a strictly critical perspective, does it get better after the first season? The husbear likes it so far, I'm just, meh. We're desperate for something to follow and it's hard for me to get into any TV show, (my poor partner suffers. He can be entertained by a lot but I have ADHD and can only sit for so much TV in the evenings and I have to really be into something to avoid doing something around the house, cleaning, building shit in the basement, etc.). I grew up in the Southern Baptist church and around a lot of evangelical Pentecostal relatives, so this show really hits the bullseye with the clichés and stereotypes, so much of it is spot-on, (though not all evangelicals/evangelical churches are as bad/dumb/shady as they're often portrayed. Some of them are outright progressive compared to the norm.).

We're sticking with it for now though. If anything, I'm curious to see if ANY of them has any redeeming quality. Does the failed stunt-man son, ("Gideon"?) stick around or is he gone by Season 3? And clearly Kelvin is gonna end up sleeping with the weird/dumb/odd former satanist, right? ;-)

by Anonymousreply 22July 19, 2023 1:13 PM

I love this show. So fucking funny. Uncle Baby Billy is my favorite- he’s awful. Walton Goggins is such a good actor. From Justified, Sons of Anarchy, The Unicorn, this show, he nails every role.

That was quite the naked fight at the end of this week’s episode! I was hoping BJ would destroy that fucker. Poor Beej.

by Anonymousreply 23July 19, 2023 11:01 PM

Oh, and the actors playing young Jesse and Judy are perfect! I really enjoyed last week’s episode with the high school flashback.

The little heel click Jesse did after shaving Trent’s hair had me howling.

by Anonymousreply 24July 19, 2023 11:03 PM

I really like how dark the show can get all of a sudden, like the ending in the most recent episode. Because of all the surrounding hilarity, those moments land that much harder.

And I love Judy's electric blue costumes. Jesse's wife has an insane wardrobe as well.

by Anonymousreply 25July 20, 2023 12:01 PM

R24 I really HATE flashback episodes so I skipped it. Is it worth watching?

This show is so funny. I just realized that Edi Patterson does the voice of Tom's mom on "Ten Year-old Tom"

by Anonymousreply 26July 20, 2023 12:58 PM

[quote]Uncle Baby Billy's song at the beginning is one of the best things I've seen all year.

I love the Baby Billy numbers too; that outfit he had on and all the people around the pool just ignoring him was funny .

Given the growing closeness between Eli & Gideon this season (and Gideon's injury preventing him from going back to Hollywood), I'm guessing that Eli will somehow elevate him above the siblings as someone who can talk to the other ministers and the community since the siblings have pissed off everyone. I feel like the season is going to end with all of the basically kicked out of their roles/demoted and spending the next season having to eat shit to get back in Eli's good graces.

by Anonymousreply 27July 20, 2023 1:03 PM

r26 I can't normally stand them and I groaned when I encountered the first flashback in the first season, but they're awesome episodes. By the second and third season, I was actively looking forward to the interludes.

by Anonymousreply 28July 20, 2023 1:08 PM

[quote]Uncle Baby Billy's song at the beginning is one of the best things I've seen all year.

I read somewhere that's an actual evangelical song, crazy. I can't get over the fact that he's a man in his sixties with grey hair and he still goes by Baby Billy. Even Macaulay Culkin's Harmon managed to grow up, but not Uncle Baby Billy.

Love how the siblings immediately said no to his game show pitch, but enjoyed rolling "Baby Billy's Bible Bonkers" around in their mouths. And it IS enjoyable, I find myself randomly saying it all the time now when I'm alone.

by Anonymousreply 29July 20, 2023 1:42 PM

[quote]Love how the siblings immediately said no to his game show pitch, but enjoyed rolling "Baby Billy's Bible Bonkers" around in their mouths. And it IS enjoyable, I find myself randomly saying it all the time now when I'm alone.

I loved the scene when he was walking around the table talking to them & he got to Keef and just said "umm, no" and kept walking. Poor Keef!

I disliked the flashback scenes because the kids were so awful, though I think it's interesting that Amy Leigh seems to have her brother's number, yet is completely oblivious to the behavior of her children. It actually reminds me of my fundie aunt & uncle who ignored their kids drinking problem until the kid started passing out in their lawn.

by Anonymousreply 30July 20, 2023 2:32 PM

Both Eli and Aimee-Leigh came from poor families, so I do understand why they let their kids have anything they wanted and excused their awful behaviour.

by Anonymousreply 31July 20, 2023 2:36 PM

R29, "There'll Come a Payday" is a real song performed in churches. It was made popular by Red Sovine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 20, 2023 5:12 PM

God damn I want to drive a Monster Truck! Gideon crushed it this episode. Literally.

I loved the hair dye dripping from Danny McBride’s sideburns and they turned white. Great touch.

Keene is so beefy. He looked good walking through those bushes.

by Anonymousreply 33July 25, 2023 12:39 AM

"Chicken doo-doo is getting all ground into my fucking seduction dress." Judy once again with the best lines.

The ransom video was genuinely terrifying. I'm glad they wrapped up the abduction plot in one episode, would have hated it if it dragged out too long, as fun as the siblings were in that gross silo.

Uncle Baby Billy slamming the stroller across the foyer and just leaving it there, then chiding the baby for crying was hilarious. Gotta protect Bible Bonkers – i.e. the revenue – first and foremost!

by Anonymousreply 34July 25, 2023 4:54 AM

Ain’t nobody gonna ransom you, Lionel!

by Anonymousreply 35July 25, 2023 5:59 AM

Judy has grown on me; in the first season, she was just intolerable, but her mix of awfulness & a kind of wounded vulnerability actually makes her the more interesting one. She's hateful to Eli at times, but the flashbacks show he clearly deserves this & just wishes his wife was here to act as a shield between himself & the monster he created.

by Anonymousreply 36July 25, 2023 8:36 AM

Devine is REALLY playing up the "camp" this season.

by Anonymousreply 37July 25, 2023 11:42 AM

Great episode. Seeing Gideon rampaging around Peter's compound in the Redeemer was so satisfying to watch.

Jesse, Judy and Kelvin finally able to see beyond themselves while locked in the silo was good character development.

by Anonymousreply 38July 25, 2023 4:15 PM

Renewed!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 27, 2023 4:28 PM

Oh wow, interesting that this thread popped up. I just started watching this series and I'm surprised how good it is. I'm about halfway through season 2. I never cared for Danny McBride but I think he's the writer? He's very talented. I find the constant vulgarity implausible, especially from the sister, but the storylines are compelling.

by Anonymousreply 40July 27, 2023 4:31 PM

The show exists in a heightened reality, so many things are implausible, not just Judy's foul language, lol.

by Anonymousreply 41July 27, 2023 4:47 PM

The 2-part season finale last night was crazy. We got bombs, an orgy, locusts, man junk and tits, explosions, monster trucks, family strife, a faked death, a homoerotic massage, a visit from a spirit/ghost, a sons betrayal, etc. all wrapped in a hilarious 60+ minutes. We also got Kelvin and Keefe accepting that they're more than friends and coming out to the family in a very sweet way and the Gemstones are welcoming. They kiss too.

by Anonymousreply 42July 31, 2023 1:09 PM

Don't forget about BJ in the tub with Judy and his penis "chopper".

by Anonymousreply 43July 31, 2023 1:16 PM

I love this show so much. It’s hysterical and 2 episode finale was brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 44July 31, 2023 1:17 PM

I cracked up when Uncle Billy was prepping the family for the episode of Bible Bonkers and said he may get distracted and accidentally leave the answers in the room. Walton Goggins was hilarious in that scene, as usual.

by Anonymousreply 45July 31, 2023 1:33 PM

I got a tiny bit emotional at the scene of ghost Aimee-Leigh watching her family bonding over monster truck destruction. I can't wait for next season to see the Kelvin/Keefe relationship progress. I just hope they don't tone down the sexuality after 3 seasons of them lusting after each other.

by Anonymousreply 46July 31, 2023 1:39 PM

R46 so true.....seeing Aimee Leigh smiling was a wonderful ending......

by Anonymousreply 47July 31, 2023 1:44 PM

I think it's nice that they included Eli's right-hand man Martin into the family bonding session at the end. He even got a turn in The Redeemer. The only thing that seemed odd in the 2 episodes was the emphasis on the bratty son that they sent to military school. Why highlight him all of a sudden?

by Anonymousreply 48July 31, 2023 1:46 PM

I made it to season three but just kind of turned it off late in the second episode. There's something insufferable and irritating in the whole Kelvin/Keef storyline. The "God Squad" thing was beyond stupid and cringey. I know they were going for surreal camp and I really wanted to laugh at it. but it just didn't land. To say it was cringey doesn't begin to explain how uncomfortably bad it is. The guy playing Keef is both distractingly unattractive and a poor actor and the character is just bizarre; not in any funny or intriguing way, just in a painfully cringe and stupid way. He seems like he'd be the type with a lot of body odor. I can't handle Adam Divine anymore. I didn't know anything about him until this show but remembered seeing him in some irritating commercial where he walked around in a white bathrobe. I now understand why he isn't hired very much. He's difficult to look at. It's just kind of ruined the series for me.

I DO love John Goodman though, and Judy Gemstone is hilarious. I hope Goodman and the actress who plays Judy score Emmy noms., at the very least. But it's too much of the same and not worth investing time in. Danny McBride could also, maybe consider sucking up 80-95% of the screen time. We get that you created and write it man but fuck, dial it back a little, take a break and give some of the other characters a little time without you standing there chewing the scenes right out of their mouths.

by Anonymousreply 49July 31, 2023 2:19 PM

Happy to hear Kelvin/Keefe come out and kiss r42. You inspired me to watch this season.

by Anonymousreply 50July 31, 2023 2:48 PM

That was a great finale that wrapped up all of the season's plotlines and ended on a sweet note.

Baby Billy stole the episode again with the drug-fueled orgy with Gene Hackman and Bible Bonkers.

The scene with Gideon telling Eli he wanted to be a preacher was nice.

by Anonymousreply 51July 31, 2023 3:30 PM

R49 you have no sense of irony and no sense of humor at all.

by Anonymousreply 52July 31, 2023 3:35 PM

The locusts out of nowhere were maybe a bit too much for me, especially as I really wanted Bible Bonkers to thrive. Alas, it was not to be.

Loved Judy's "Baby Billy, what you tryin' to hit us up for now, man? Lionel need gold baby teeth or some shit?" Kelvin kinda nailed it when he joked that he wanted to dig up his sister and sell tickets so people could pee on her. That's probably Baby Billy's backup plan if it all goes to shit.

Like a couple of other poster, I also loved Aimee-Leigh's appearance at the very end. It was just so wholesome and earnest, but done just right.

by Anonymousreply 53July 31, 2023 4:01 PM

Loved the finale! I laughed out loud a few times, like when they showed Dusty’s embalmed corpse getting buried in the race car, the penis tub helicopter, when Jesse and Simkins were twirling their capes at their fancy society house, Jesse covering his face when go karting so he didn’t have to see chuck, and the flashback y2k orgy where dusty and Billy are lying next to each other and grunting. Hilarious and ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 54July 31, 2023 4:29 PM

[quote]The only thing that seemed odd in the 2 episodes was the emphasis on the bratty son that they sent to military school. Why highlight him all of a sudden?

I was kind of thinking that too - what's the point of all this? He doesn't really even factor into the plot. I'm wondering if now that Gideon is the good son/aspiring preacher, they're recasting the role & bringing the kid back in some plot line in season 4.

I think part of what makes Kelvin so annoying is that he seems to have no real redeeming value: Judy is a wounded (rabid) animal & Jesse, for all his faults, really does love & pay attention to his family in a way his father didn't, but Kelvin is just this annoying empty poser. But I'm guessing that will now next season since it looks like he's coming out of the closet.

by Anonymousreply 55July 31, 2023 4:52 PM

"Paralegal? More like paraplegic." At which point Uncle Baby Billy proceeds to do the saddest moonwalk I have ever seen. So fucking dumb, but throwaway humour like that is why I love this show so much.

by Anonymousreply 56July 31, 2023 5:00 PM

Pontius was a bratty, out of control kid- getting tattoos, fucking girls, disrespectin’ his daddy. Jesse finally did something about it and sent him to military school. I didn’t think that was too weird or misplaced.

Next season he’ll either come back strait laced with the tattoos removed or go the other way and be like the Godfather of his military school.

by Anonymousreply 57July 31, 2023 5:00 PM

I loved Baby Billy scattering the baby toys on the blanket for the baby. Like, ‘here, entertain yourself’.

Were there two new babies or just one? I couldn’t tell if they he’d twins plus Lionel.

by Anonymousreply 58July 31, 2023 5:02 PM

I feel like Aunt Tiffany is gonna be in a perpetual state of pregnancy for the remainder of the show.

by Anonymousreply 59July 31, 2023 5:07 PM

HA! BJ drives a Smart Car just like mine. I loved when he was sitting in it - fun!

Now if I could just find someone in the tub I could do a copter dick with!

by Anonymousreply 60August 1, 2023 3:04 AM

Finally picking up with Season 3 and the instant I saw Stephen Schneider, I had to do a nude search and of course, omgblog didn't disappoint. Me and my swarthy Jewish boy weakness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61February 4, 2024 7:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!