Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Righteous Gemstones Season 2

Starts tonight on HBO at 10pm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71January 26, 2022 11:27 PM

I love this show-- so funny.

by Anonymousreply 1January 10, 2022 3:45 AM

It’s off to a great start.

by Anonymousreply 2January 10, 2022 5:19 AM

I'm so happy this show is back - I laughed so many times. The first 5 minutes with the meeting of the church heads was hilarious and the guy laying on the pavement with his legs destroyed had me cracking up. I still wonder about the relationship between Kelvin and Keef, and seeing his squad of muscle guys doesn't help. All last season I was waiting for them to become a couple but it didn't happen - looks like I'll be doing the same for this one.

Some random thoughts: Eli was a wrestler and now old buddy Eric Roberts wants to talk about old times.... uh, ok. Eric Andre - cool casting. I really thought Eric Andre's wife was Jamie Lynn Spears until I looked her up on IMDB - it's an actress named Jessica Lowe. Danny McBride must have good weed to come up with some of this stuff. I see they're continuing the theme of showing men nude - funny for the shock value of it. The one negative for me was the thing with his son's icky underpants - that was pure nasty.

by Anonymousreply 3January 11, 2022 7:15 PM

Muscledick casually sauntering by in the premiere. Well, ok.

by Anonymousreply 4January 11, 2022 7:22 PM

[quote]Muscledick casually sauntering by in the premiere.

“That’s a nice dick, Ernie.”

by Anonymousreply 5January 11, 2022 7:50 PM

It’s nice that they’re keeping it penis-heavy.

by Anonymousreply 6January 12, 2022 1:49 AM

This show is so, so good. A vicious satire/takedown of evangelical mega-church religion, and the funniest, raunchiest damn thing on tv. Everyone in it is terrific.

by Anonymousreply 7January 13, 2022 5:55 AM

I love John Goodman and I love the idea of this show but I thought it was too close to reality to be funny.

by Anonymousreply 8January 13, 2022 5:57 AM

Isn’t being close to reality the point, R8?

by Anonymousreply 9January 13, 2022 12:24 PM

R8 , my dear, the ENTIRE POINT of good satire is that it be too close for comfort. But….you do you. Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 10January 14, 2022 12:28 AM

The sister can be a little hard to take - she is just too wound up and it gets grating if they let her go on too long. One thing - one of the main plots of last season was bringing the oldest son back into the fold and, so far, all he's done is pop up for about 5 minutes in the first 2 episodes.

I wonder if the three kids will blackmail Eli for the $10M they need for the timeshare community, now that they know that he killed the journalist.

by Anonymousreply 11January 14, 2022 2:23 AM

Is it a fact that Eli killed the journalist?

by Anonymousreply 12January 14, 2022 4:43 PM

I love watching the show and seeing all the places around Charleston I’ve been to before. But having just watched The Eyes of Tammy Faye the Zion’s Landing timeshare scheme seems like a retread. I wonder if Jim and Tammy Faye even existed in the Gemstones universe? If they did that would be a simple reason for Eli to be against it.

by Anonymousreply 13January 14, 2022 5:13 PM

New episode tonight!

by Anonymousreply 14January 17, 2022 2:48 AM

I wish the sister would get killed off.

by Anonymousreply 15January 17, 2022 3:23 AM

Looks like they're are going to push this Keef/Kelvin UST for the rest of the season... and I'm loving it.

by Anonymousreply 16January 17, 2022 4:18 AM

This episode was absolutely brilliant and just pushed TRG to appointment television for me. I laughed through most of the ep. The kids losing their shit over the God Squad was priceless and then the entire scene with Kelvin and Keef had me rolling like BJ in the park. I can't understand the hate for Judy here. She is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 17January 17, 2022 4:23 AM

For anyone who hasn't watched this show, this clip encapsulates the brand of comedy without giving away the plot of Season 1. (For context, this is the Gemstone's daughter meeting with her ex boyfriend).

Turns out the actress wrote the dialogue herself. I'm sure plenty of kids will be doing this as a monologue in acting classes forever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 17, 2022 4:35 AM

Judy is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 19January 17, 2022 4:40 AM

I don't get Kelvin's regime of punishment and imprisonment - it goes past comedy and goes into some dark, sadistic area that I'm finding unsettling. He treats his squad like slaves, has them doing hard labor and putting them in bamboo cages similar to those in The Deerhunter, all while Kelvin seems to get some sick jollies out of it. Creepy.

by Anonymousreply 20January 17, 2022 4:41 AM

I cracked up when that bowling alley floozy uncrossed her legs and flashed her vagoo ala Sharon Stone in "Basic Instinct". Unless I blinked and missed it, seems they skipped showing man dick in this episode, breaking the routine. Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 21January 17, 2022 5:40 AM

There was more than enough beef to make up for the lack of hot dogs, R21.

by Anonymousreply 22January 21, 2022 12:52 AM

I just started binging the first season. Love Walton Goggins and his Chiclet teeth.

by Anonymousreply 23January 23, 2022 4:07 AM

I don't like SKINNY John Goodman

I like FAT John Goodman

by Anonymousreply 24January 23, 2022 4:17 AM

Me too! I'll have to settle for Meat Loaf.

by Anonymousreply 25January 23, 2022 4:23 AM

OMG Marla Maples

by Anonymousreply 26January 23, 2022 4:44 AM

Uncle Baby Billy needs to return, soon. His arc in the first season was epic. Walton Goggins can do no wrong, and that includes his stupidest job, the colossally mediocre, now-cancelled network sitcom, The Unicorn. He was still great in it.

by Anonymousreply 27January 23, 2022 7:01 AM

He's supposed to be in the next episode. Don't you fret none, R27.

by Anonymousreply 28January 23, 2022 7:04 AM

Thank Jebus, R28 . Because “Misbehavin’” might be the greatest thing I’ve ever seen. It’s satire and parody that somehow transcends what it’s making fun of, without losing the edge of the satire. Unreal. But I guess that’s the whole damn show. It’s a weird thing to say, but Danny McBride is kind of a genius.

by Anonymousreply 29January 23, 2022 7:29 AM

Just finished my S1 binge. Judy accusing "Denim" of trying to steal BJ had me snort-laughing.

by Anonymousreply 30January 23, 2022 8:29 AM

I loved that scene too, R18.

by Anonymousreply 31January 23, 2022 8:35 AM

Glad to see Baby Billy is coming back tonight.

by Anonymousreply 32January 23, 2022 4:09 PM

"I love my bi son."

by Anonymousreply 33January 23, 2022 6:24 PM

The sister is the best. McBride is surprisingly restrained

by Anonymousreply 34January 23, 2022 6:49 PM

One interesting thing I've noticed is that the female characters seem to be trapped in the 1980s for their "stage" clothing. Which isn't accurate. If you watch video of women on stage in these type of churches they are wearing modern designer clothing. But, on here the sister looks like she is still wearing her mother's old performance wardrobe from the 80s or 90s. I thought they would make that some sort of plot point about the mother, but then the chick from Texas dresses like that on "stage" as well. Which makes me assume it is some sort of comment from the producers/wardrobe designer but I'm not sure what they are trying to say.

by Anonymousreply 35January 23, 2022 7:11 PM

Gwen Shamblin was very au courant!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 23, 2022 7:37 PM

It's a good show. The way it parodies megachurches and religion in general is dead-on.

by Anonymousreply 37January 23, 2022 7:59 PM

[quote]"Enjoy the rest of your Outback Steakhouse meal."

G'day.

by Anonymousreply 38January 23, 2022 9:22 PM

One of the God Squad is DL fave Brock O'Hurn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 24, 2022 3:46 AM

WTH with Baby Billy's first child? Poor hunchback kid... I sure hope we get to see him all grown up.

by Anonymousreply 40January 24, 2022 3:52 AM

There is apparently a theory going that BJ is Harmon all grown up, which I don't see how that worked. Then there's the rumor that Macauly Culkin is supposed to be playing grown up Harmon.

by Anonymousreply 41January 24, 2022 4:03 AM

R39 Tyler Perry let him go?

by Anonymousreply 42January 24, 2022 5:12 AM

On Reddit there are also some folks who think that Keefe is actually Harmon.

by Anonymousreply 43January 24, 2022 8:23 AM

Loved BJ's post-baptism party and his pink-lamé romper.

by Anonymousreply 44January 24, 2022 12:22 PM

Judy/Edi Patterson is easily the best thing in this.

by Anonymousreply 45January 24, 2022 12:26 PM

[quote]WTH with Baby Billy's first child? Poor hunchback kid... I sure hope we get to see him all grown up.

Baby Billy is so sweet with Harmon in the flashbacks. I'm glad they didn't make him an asshole dad.

by Anonymousreply 46January 24, 2022 2:33 PM

The show is getting a bit too broad in its comedy.

I also don't like that two of the main storylines hinge on whether a character is gay or not (the brother with the God Squad and the guy married to the sister).

by Anonymousreply 47January 24, 2022 2:46 PM

I don't see BJ as gay but as more of a goober like Kenneth on [italic]30 Rock.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 48January 24, 2022 2:52 PM

R29 It's not weird to say Danny McBride is a genius. His movie THE FOOTFIST WAY was shot for pennies and turned him into a huge inside Hollywood star (the type that every single person in the industry watched even if it couldn't sell tickets). The director of that was Jody Hill, who directs many Righteous episodes and makes appearances as the handsome long haired musician who is friends with McBride's character.

McBride's HBO show Eastbound and Down ran 4 seasons. HBO did his followup VICE PRINCIPLES (which co-starred Goggins) for 2 seasons. Righteous Gemstones is his third HBO show and they went much bigger and audience friendly with it.

McBride was part of the writing/producing team that is behind the successful new Halloween reboot and they were just hired to do The Exorcist reboot as a trillogy in an overall $350 million deal. I dont think there's much profit participation on the deal but the upfront is massive. That $350 includes the budgets but horror isn't expensive.

by Anonymousreply 49January 24, 2022 10:02 PM

WTF, I sit down with a nice dinner ready for this new episode and I see Uncle Baby Billy abandon his disabled son in a fucking mall like that? That was fucking sad and awful. I lost my goddamn appetite… for six minutes, then I proceeded to eat

by Anonymousreply 50January 25, 2022 12:59 AM

After that depressing start the rest was quite funny and remarkable. The season gets better with every episode.

by Anonymousreply 51January 25, 2022 1:40 AM

The episode was hilarious but the part with Judy saying that she knows that her brothers want to have sex with her was pretty disturbing, and that she knew that BJ's sister is jealous that he desires her (Judy) instead. That Judy is a ball of crazy.

by Anonymousreply 52January 25, 2022 2:01 AM

I’ve read there’s a lot of cock on display.

Accurate?

by Anonymousreply 53January 25, 2022 2:06 AM

I haven’t seen much this season, R53.

by Anonymousreply 54January 25, 2022 2:31 AM

R52 That bathroom scene was hilarious. She was credited as a writer this episode so I'd assume her best scenes are improvised?

by Anonymousreply 55January 25, 2022 8:47 AM

This show is...odd. I was gonna go with surreal but I think that may be too strong, but it's very different.

by Anonymousreply 56January 25, 2022 1:35 PM

The show is magic. And John Goodman is the centerpiece that holds it all together. I love it. He’s been one of my favorite actors for decades and he’s still killing it.

by Anonymousreply 57January 25, 2022 5:40 PM

R57 I love him but he is a great example of a fat person that loses weight and it makes them look ill. I'm certain he is healthier now than he was, but he doesn't look it.

by Anonymousreply 58January 25, 2022 5:54 PM

I’m used to it now. Get over it already, R58. Yeah he lost weight and should’ve added some muscle to bulk up his frame as a replacement, but he’s an old man (and a very busy one at that). I don’t expect him to be in the gym pumping iron if he doesn’t want to.

by Anonymousreply 59January 25, 2022 7:15 PM

I have some older theater pals who worked with Goodman when he was young. He was considered quite good looking, very funny and charming and many of his female castmates had crushes on him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60January 25, 2022 7:21 PM

It was so funny when Judy said about BJ's family, "they are from Asheville," that is such a South/North Carolina thing to say as shorthand for hippy atheists/agnostics. Though the Gemstones are in Charleston which has been earning a similar reputation this century. Also, I actually wouldn't mind having one of those rompers for Halloween or something. ;)

by Anonymousreply 61January 25, 2022 10:04 PM

Judy mumbling through gritted teeth "Go fuck yourself" to her husband's family was a perfect bit of comic acting, as was the 'dance' she did in the bathroom.

by Anonymousreply 62January 25, 2022 10:16 PM

Judy is stealing the show this season.

by Anonymousreply 63January 26, 2022 12:00 AM

Everyone in this show is a ringer. Everyone. Uncle Baby Billy describing how and why Tiffany is a ‘toilet baby’ is the funniest fucking thing I’ve seen in ages, and Walton Goggins’ delivery was PERFECT.

by Anonymousreply 64January 26, 2022 5:37 AM

Goggins is such a good actor. I was so used to him playing the antagonist until I saw him in "Vice Principals"

Doesn't he have an academy award for writing or something?

by Anonymousreply 65January 26, 2022 1:42 PM

Yeah he used to always play a piece of shit, now he’s starting to play more good guys.

by Anonymousreply 66January 26, 2022 2:53 PM

The parents graphically and repeatedly talking about one son's sperm to another son because they were supposedly too delicate to talk to the actual son about it, was really silly writing.

It came across as a room full of young men fresh out of college in a writers' room trying to amuse each other, rather than writing jokes that made sense for the characters.

by Anonymousreply 67January 26, 2022 3:52 PM

Renewed for Season 3...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68January 26, 2022 5:59 PM

R68 Wonderful news!

by Anonymousreply 69January 26, 2022 6:41 PM

I checked out the RigGem thread on reddit and found people saying it's obvious that Keefe is in love with Kelvin, following him along like a lovesick puppy. Well, I never got that impression, mainly because the character is such a dim bulb, he's hard to read and I don't think I've ever seen lust in his eyes. When they have those scenes brimming with UST between those two, I always picture Kelvin having an epiphany and making the first move and Keefe going along, just because. My belief is that Keefe is a dimwitted friend with a serious case of hero worship. Keefe had his Satanic past, I figure that he's practically brain dead from the drugs, etc. he's messed with, and he dropped all that to dedicate his life to the church and he found a friend and mentor in Kelvin, someone he will follow, and even help him change his briefs, if asked.

I did watch last season and recall pretty much their backstory but some of it is fuzzy and I know that their relationship has always been amorphous. Am I missing the signs on Keefe's motivations?

by Anonymousreply 70January 26, 2022 7:25 PM

Agreed. I don’t think there’s anything sexual going in between them.

by Anonymousreply 71January 26, 2022 11:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!