Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Righteous Gemstones Season 2

Starts tonight on HBO at 10pm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201March 9, 2022 11:31 AM

I love this show-- so funny.

by Anonymousreply 1January 10, 2022 2:45 AM

It’s off to a great start.

by Anonymousreply 2January 10, 2022 4:19 AM

I'm so happy this show is back - I laughed so many times. The first 5 minutes with the meeting of the church heads was hilarious and the guy laying on the pavement with his legs destroyed had me cracking up. I still wonder about the relationship between Kelvin and Keef, and seeing his squad of muscle guys doesn't help. All last season I was waiting for them to become a couple but it didn't happen - looks like I'll be doing the same for this one.

Some random thoughts: Eli was a wrestler and now old buddy Eric Roberts wants to talk about old times.... uh, ok. Eric Andre - cool casting. I really thought Eric Andre's wife was Jamie Lynn Spears until I looked her up on IMDB - it's an actress named Jessica Lowe. Danny McBride must have good weed to come up with some of this stuff. I see they're continuing the theme of showing men nude - funny for the shock value of it. The one negative for me was the thing with his son's icky underpants - that was pure nasty.

by Anonymousreply 3January 11, 2022 6:15 PM

Muscledick casually sauntering by in the premiere. Well, ok.

by Anonymousreply 4January 11, 2022 6:22 PM

[quote]Muscledick casually sauntering by in the premiere.

“That’s a nice dick, Ernie.”

by Anonymousreply 5January 11, 2022 6:50 PM

It’s nice that they’re keeping it penis-heavy.

by Anonymousreply 6January 12, 2022 12:49 AM

This show is so, so good. A vicious satire/takedown of evangelical mega-church religion, and the funniest, raunchiest damn thing on tv. Everyone in it is terrific.

by Anonymousreply 7January 13, 2022 4:55 AM

I love John Goodman and I love the idea of this show but I thought it was too close to reality to be funny.

by Anonymousreply 8January 13, 2022 4:57 AM

Isn’t being close to reality the point, R8?

by Anonymousreply 9January 13, 2022 11:24 AM

R8 , my dear, the ENTIRE POINT of good satire is that it be too close for comfort. But….you do you. Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 10January 13, 2022 11:28 PM

The sister can be a little hard to take - she is just too wound up and it gets grating if they let her go on too long. One thing - one of the main plots of last season was bringing the oldest son back into the fold and, so far, all he's done is pop up for about 5 minutes in the first 2 episodes.

I wonder if the three kids will blackmail Eli for the $10M they need for the timeshare community, now that they know that he killed the journalist.

by Anonymousreply 11January 14, 2022 1:23 AM

Is it a fact that Eli killed the journalist?

by Anonymousreply 12January 14, 2022 3:43 PM

I love watching the show and seeing all the places around Charleston I’ve been to before. But having just watched The Eyes of Tammy Faye the Zion’s Landing timeshare scheme seems like a retread. I wonder if Jim and Tammy Faye even existed in the Gemstones universe? If they did that would be a simple reason for Eli to be against it.

by Anonymousreply 13January 14, 2022 4:13 PM

New episode tonight!

by Anonymousreply 14January 17, 2022 1:48 AM

I wish the sister would get killed off.

by Anonymousreply 15January 17, 2022 2:23 AM

Looks like they're are going to push this Keef/Kelvin UST for the rest of the season... and I'm loving it.

by Anonymousreply 16January 17, 2022 3:18 AM

This episode was absolutely brilliant and just pushed TRG to appointment television for me. I laughed through most of the ep. The kids losing their shit over the God Squad was priceless and then the entire scene with Kelvin and Keef had me rolling like BJ in the park. I can't understand the hate for Judy here. She is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 17January 17, 2022 3:23 AM

For anyone who hasn't watched this show, this clip encapsulates the brand of comedy without giving away the plot of Season 1. (For context, this is the Gemstone's daughter meeting with her ex boyfriend).

Turns out the actress wrote the dialogue herself. I'm sure plenty of kids will be doing this as a monologue in acting classes forever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 17, 2022 3:35 AM

Judy is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 19January 17, 2022 3:40 AM

I don't get Kelvin's regime of punishment and imprisonment - it goes past comedy and goes into some dark, sadistic area that I'm finding unsettling. He treats his squad like slaves, has them doing hard labor and putting them in bamboo cages similar to those in The Deerhunter, all while Kelvin seems to get some sick jollies out of it. Creepy.

by Anonymousreply 20January 17, 2022 3:41 AM

I cracked up when that bowling alley floozy uncrossed her legs and flashed her vagoo ala Sharon Stone in "Basic Instinct". Unless I blinked and missed it, seems they skipped showing man dick in this episode, breaking the routine. Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 21January 17, 2022 4:40 AM

There was more than enough beef to make up for the lack of hot dogs, R21.

by Anonymousreply 22January 20, 2022 11:52 PM

I just started binging the first season. Love Walton Goggins and his Chiclet teeth.

by Anonymousreply 23January 23, 2022 3:07 AM

I don't like SKINNY John Goodman

I like FAT John Goodman

by Anonymousreply 24January 23, 2022 3:17 AM

Me too! I'll have to settle for Meat Loaf.

by Anonymousreply 25January 23, 2022 3:23 AM

OMG Marla Maples

by Anonymousreply 26January 23, 2022 3:44 AM

Uncle Baby Billy needs to return, soon. His arc in the first season was epic. Walton Goggins can do no wrong, and that includes his stupidest job, the colossally mediocre, now-cancelled network sitcom, The Unicorn. He was still great in it.

by Anonymousreply 27January 23, 2022 6:01 AM

He's supposed to be in the next episode. Don't you fret none, R27.

by Anonymousreply 28January 23, 2022 6:04 AM

Thank Jebus, R28 . Because “Misbehavin’” might be the greatest thing I’ve ever seen. It’s satire and parody that somehow transcends what it’s making fun of, without losing the edge of the satire. Unreal. But I guess that’s the whole damn show. It’s a weird thing to say, but Danny McBride is kind of a genius.

by Anonymousreply 29January 23, 2022 6:29 AM

Just finished my S1 binge. Judy accusing "Denim" of trying to steal BJ had me snort-laughing.

by Anonymousreply 30January 23, 2022 7:29 AM

I loved that scene too, R18.

by Anonymousreply 31January 23, 2022 7:35 AM

Glad to see Baby Billy is coming back tonight.

by Anonymousreply 32January 23, 2022 3:09 PM

"I love my bi son."

by Anonymousreply 33January 23, 2022 5:24 PM

The sister is the best. McBride is surprisingly restrained

by Anonymousreply 34January 23, 2022 5:49 PM

One interesting thing I've noticed is that the female characters seem to be trapped in the 1980s for their "stage" clothing. Which isn't accurate. If you watch video of women on stage in these type of churches they are wearing modern designer clothing. But, on here the sister looks like she is still wearing her mother's old performance wardrobe from the 80s or 90s. I thought they would make that some sort of plot point about the mother, but then the chick from Texas dresses like that on "stage" as well. Which makes me assume it is some sort of comment from the producers/wardrobe designer but I'm not sure what they are trying to say.

by Anonymousreply 35January 23, 2022 6:11 PM

Gwen Shamblin was very au courant!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 23, 2022 6:37 PM

It's a good show. The way it parodies megachurches and religion in general is dead-on.

by Anonymousreply 37January 23, 2022 6:59 PM

[quote]"Enjoy the rest of your Outback Steakhouse meal."

G'day.

by Anonymousreply 38January 23, 2022 8:22 PM

One of the God Squad is DL fave Brock O'Hurn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 24, 2022 2:46 AM

WTH with Baby Billy's first child? Poor hunchback kid... I sure hope we get to see him all grown up.

by Anonymousreply 40January 24, 2022 2:52 AM

There is apparently a theory going that BJ is Harmon all grown up, which I don't see how that worked. Then there's the rumor that Macauly Culkin is supposed to be playing grown up Harmon.

by Anonymousreply 41January 24, 2022 3:03 AM

R39 Tyler Perry let him go?

by Anonymousreply 42January 24, 2022 4:12 AM

On Reddit there are also some folks who think that Keefe is actually Harmon.

by Anonymousreply 43January 24, 2022 7:23 AM

Loved BJ's post-baptism party and his pink-lamé romper.

by Anonymousreply 44January 24, 2022 11:22 AM

Judy/Edi Patterson is easily the best thing in this.

by Anonymousreply 45January 24, 2022 11:26 AM

[quote]WTH with Baby Billy's first child? Poor hunchback kid... I sure hope we get to see him all grown up.

Baby Billy is so sweet with Harmon in the flashbacks. I'm glad they didn't make him an asshole dad.

by Anonymousreply 46January 24, 2022 1:33 PM

The show is getting a bit too broad in its comedy.

I also don't like that two of the main storylines hinge on whether a character is gay or not (the brother with the God Squad and the guy married to the sister).

by Anonymousreply 47January 24, 2022 1:46 PM

I don't see BJ as gay but as more of a goober like Kenneth on [italic]30 Rock.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 48January 24, 2022 1:52 PM

R29 It's not weird to say Danny McBride is a genius. His movie THE FOOTFIST WAY was shot for pennies and turned him into a huge inside Hollywood star (the type that every single person in the industry watched even if it couldn't sell tickets). The director of that was Jody Hill, who directs many Righteous episodes and makes appearances as the handsome long haired musician who is friends with McBride's character.

McBride's HBO show Eastbound and Down ran 4 seasons. HBO did his followup VICE PRINCIPLES (which co-starred Goggins) for 2 seasons. Righteous Gemstones is his third HBO show and they went much bigger and audience friendly with it.

McBride was part of the writing/producing team that is behind the successful new Halloween reboot and they were just hired to do The Exorcist reboot as a trillogy in an overall $350 million deal. I dont think there's much profit participation on the deal but the upfront is massive. That $350 includes the budgets but horror isn't expensive.

by Anonymousreply 49January 24, 2022 9:02 PM

WTF, I sit down with a nice dinner ready for this new episode and I see Uncle Baby Billy abandon his disabled son in a fucking mall like that? That was fucking sad and awful. I lost my goddamn appetite… for six minutes, then I proceeded to eat

by Anonymousreply 50January 24, 2022 11:59 PM

After that depressing start the rest was quite funny and remarkable. The season gets better with every episode.

by Anonymousreply 51January 25, 2022 12:40 AM

The episode was hilarious but the part with Judy saying that she knows that her brothers want to have sex with her was pretty disturbing, and that she knew that BJ's sister is jealous that he desires her (Judy) instead. That Judy is a ball of crazy.

by Anonymousreply 52January 25, 2022 1:01 AM

I’ve read there’s a lot of cock on display.

Accurate?

by Anonymousreply 53January 25, 2022 1:06 AM

I haven’t seen much this season, R53.

by Anonymousreply 54January 25, 2022 1:31 AM

R52 That bathroom scene was hilarious. She was credited as a writer this episode so I'd assume her best scenes are improvised?

by Anonymousreply 55January 25, 2022 7:47 AM

This show is...odd. I was gonna go with surreal but I think that may be too strong, but it's very different.

by Anonymousreply 56January 25, 2022 12:35 PM

The show is magic. And John Goodman is the centerpiece that holds it all together. I love it. He’s been one of my favorite actors for decades and he’s still killing it.

by Anonymousreply 57January 25, 2022 4:40 PM

R57 I love him but he is a great example of a fat person that loses weight and it makes them look ill. I'm certain he is healthier now than he was, but he doesn't look it.

by Anonymousreply 58January 25, 2022 4:54 PM

I’m used to it now. Get over it already, R58. Yeah he lost weight and should’ve added some muscle to bulk up his frame as a replacement, but he’s an old man (and a very busy one at that). I don’t expect him to be in the gym pumping iron if he doesn’t want to.

by Anonymousreply 59January 25, 2022 6:15 PM

I have some older theater pals who worked with Goodman when he was young. He was considered quite good looking, very funny and charming and many of his female castmates had crushes on him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60January 25, 2022 6:21 PM

It was so funny when Judy said about BJ's family, "they are from Asheville," that is such a South/North Carolina thing to say as shorthand for hippy atheists/agnostics. Though the Gemstones are in Charleston which has been earning a similar reputation this century. Also, I actually wouldn't mind having one of those rompers for Halloween or something. ;)

by Anonymousreply 61January 25, 2022 9:04 PM

Judy mumbling through gritted teeth "Go fuck yourself" to her husband's family was a perfect bit of comic acting, as was the 'dance' she did in the bathroom.

by Anonymousreply 62January 25, 2022 9:16 PM

Judy is stealing the show this season.

by Anonymousreply 63January 25, 2022 11:00 PM

Everyone in this show is a ringer. Everyone. Uncle Baby Billy describing how and why Tiffany is a ‘toilet baby’ is the funniest fucking thing I’ve seen in ages, and Walton Goggins’ delivery was PERFECT.

by Anonymousreply 64January 26, 2022 4:37 AM

Goggins is such a good actor. I was so used to him playing the antagonist until I saw him in "Vice Principals"

Doesn't he have an academy award for writing or something?

by Anonymousreply 65January 26, 2022 12:42 PM

Yeah he used to always play a piece of shit, now he’s starting to play more good guys.

by Anonymousreply 66January 26, 2022 1:53 PM

The parents graphically and repeatedly talking about one son's sperm to another son because they were supposedly too delicate to talk to the actual son about it, was really silly writing.

It came across as a room full of young men fresh out of college in a writers' room trying to amuse each other, rather than writing jokes that made sense for the characters.

by Anonymousreply 67January 26, 2022 2:52 PM

Renewed for Season 3...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68January 26, 2022 4:59 PM

R68 Wonderful news!

by Anonymousreply 69January 26, 2022 5:41 PM

I checked out the RigGem thread on reddit and found people saying it's obvious that Keefe is in love with Kelvin, following him along like a lovesick puppy. Well, I never got that impression, mainly because the character is such a dim bulb, he's hard to read and I don't think I've ever seen lust in his eyes. When they have those scenes brimming with UST between those two, I always picture Kelvin having an epiphany and making the first move and Keefe going along, just because. My belief is that Keefe is a dimwitted friend with a serious case of hero worship. Keefe had his Satanic past, I figure that he's practically brain dead from the drugs, etc. he's messed with, and he dropped all that to dedicate his life to the church and he found a friend and mentor in Kelvin, someone he will follow, and even help him change his briefs, if asked.

I did watch last season and recall pretty much their backstory but some of it is fuzzy and I know that their relationship has always been amorphous. Am I missing the signs on Keefe's motivations?

by Anonymousreply 70January 26, 2022 6:25 PM

Agreed. I don’t think there’s anything sexual going in between them.

by Anonymousreply 71January 26, 2022 10:27 PM

[QUOTE] Agreed. I don’t think there’s anything sexual going on* between them.

by Anonymousreply 72January 28, 2022 12:13 AM

It is pretty obvious that they are sexually attracted to each other, but that nothing has happened. Yet.

by Anonymousreply 73January 28, 2022 2:16 PM

Well then why hasn’t anything happened yet, R73? What the hell are they waiting for?

by Anonymousreply 74January 28, 2022 4:51 PM

E4 had me howling with laughter. Judy is so unhinged that it shouldn't be funny, but it still is.

by Anonymousreply 75January 28, 2022 9:25 PM

People honestly think that Kelvin and Keefe are sexually attracted to each other?

by Anonymousreply 76January 29, 2022 12:46 AM

[quote]What the hell are they waiting for?

They have both been poisoned by religion.

by Anonymousreply 77January 29, 2022 12:51 AM

Can’t wait for my new episode tonight! It’s the only show I look forward to right now.

by Anonymousreply 78January 30, 2022 12:14 PM

There was a discussion on Reddit about the penis in the first episode having a pubic haircut that no man would have had in 1948. They need to cast historically accurate peni.

by Anonymousreply 79January 30, 2022 2:03 PM

Good backstory episode, but the placement in the season is a little strange. The kid they got to play young Jesse is scarily good - voice and mannerisms to a tee. Who knew M. Emmet Walsh was still alive and kicking. He can still deliver.

by Anonymousreply 80January 31, 2022 2:53 AM

This show inspired me to start watching [italic]Eastbound and Down[/italic] from the beginning (I've never seen it before). It's great, and I'm ashamed to say that I find Danny McBride kind of sexy as Kenny Powers.

by Anonymousreply 81January 31, 2022 4:50 AM

Another great episode. I have yet to be disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 82February 1, 2022 2:05 AM

Little girl Evie was brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 83February 1, 2022 9:49 PM

Why can't they get Goodman a decent wig for the flashbacks?

by Anonymousreply 84February 1, 2022 11:33 PM

It’s a comedy, R84. None of the wigs are decent.

by Anonymousreply 85February 2, 2022 12:28 AM

[quote]It’s a comedy

But it isn't vaudeville. That awful wig on Goodman is a distraction. It makes him look like a pastor with a bad toupee. And that's not his character.

by Anonymousreply 86February 2, 2022 12:47 AM

So we do now know that the Bakker, etc... scandals did exist in their universe. One aspect of the show that just doesn't ring true is the language. Not that they would use such language but that they do it openly in front of the congregants and strangers. In today's world, someone would have that up on twitter in a heartbeat.

by Anonymousreply 87February 2, 2022 12:52 AM

My memory of last season is foggy, so if they already gave some backstory on this, I'm completely not remembering. Was it ever explained how Eli got "the calling". We see his history of being a wrestler, and church leader is not something I'd expect to be his next profession. Did he grow up in a religious household, did he have some epiphany/revelation or was it something he concocted as a means to make money and he "grew" into it. It's been shown that many wrestlers get storylines and are actors who take on their "role" in the ring, so did Eli switch his role from wrassler to worshiper? Again, this may have already been explained on the show but my brain ain't helping me with those answers.

Another question... does he have an official title, like preacher, reverend, minister? I'm disregarding the title "doctor" cause that was from years ago and it's not used now as far as the show goes.

by Anonymousreply 88February 2, 2022 6:33 PM

I love this show. I've not enjoyed a show, nor laughed so much since Shitts Creek.

by Anonymousreply 89February 2, 2022 7:00 PM

I absolutely love it.

It nails Christianity. The only god they really worship is money.

by Anonymousreply 90February 2, 2022 9:24 PM

R88, none of your questions have been answered yet. We are only just starting to get an inkling of Eli's past, first learning of his wrestling days, and now some of the shady practices he was involved in leading to the church's expansion. I would imagine they keep the 3 million and he and Martin find some way to launder it to get that arena, what with a body of their donor under the rollercoaster of the theme park. I thought that maybe Eli's obvious involvement in Junior's father's disappearance was what precipitated his turn to God, but now that we have the story of what happened, I'm really curious.

We don't know yet how he got to be 'Doctor' Gemstone, nor what called him to the church. I do think he's been referred to as Reverend Eli on many occasions by various characters.

This is currently my favorite thing to watch. I just laugh so hard every episode. Edie Patterson is a national treasure.

by Anonymousreply 91February 2, 2022 10:05 PM

The story in universe is that he met Aimee-Leigh and she saved him. They have not shown when or how that happened yet. But, going from wrestler to this type of ministry isn't that unusual, it is all about showmanship.

I would suspect his "doctorate" is like one an old boss of mine had. If you were involved in a "ministry" you could pay $5000 to the pastor of one of the largest charismatic churches in my area, she would hold a two week course, it would meet three times a week for two hours with a one hour break (food not included), and then you wrote a "thesis" shorter than most middle school book reports and quite frankly less in depth. After that, and if your check cleared, you received a "doctorate" in ministry(not theology).

by Anonymousreply 92February 2, 2022 11:31 PM

I liked that he snapped at his wife in the flashbacks, showing that all the worship of her as a saint is because she can't talk back.

by Anonymousreply 93February 2, 2022 11:37 PM

The actor who played Glendon is Wayne Duvall, who was in O Brother Where Art Thou as the racist candidate running for mayor. His presence, along with M. Emmet Walsh and Goodman, just gives this series even more of a Coen Brothers feeling. I keep expecting Nic Cage or Holly Hunter to make a cameo.

The music coordinator for this show is a genius. I have absolutely loved every song choice they've made and that Melanie track in the closing credits last episode was a perfect example.

by Anonymousreply 94February 2, 2022 11:47 PM

Heh, so true r92. "Doctor" Kent Hovind, well known creationist, has a doctorate from Patriot University, which apparently is a trailer in Colorado.

by Anonymousreply 95February 2, 2022 11:54 PM

Jennifer Nettles (who plays Aimee-Leigh) has come into her own as an actress. She's mostly known as the lead singer of Sugarland, but has been branching out and acting in a few things. She grew up about 60 miles from my hometown and was the star of a--wait for it--travelling 4-H singing group. It was no joke, as many of those kids either got music scholarships to college, or went straight to Nashville and worked their way up.

by Anonymousreply 96February 3, 2022 2:13 PM

No love for the great Walton Goggins?

Baby Billy is my favorite character. He can sing, he can dance, he can be charming as hell and turn on a dime into the devil. He's the most complex and interesting character on the show, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 97February 3, 2022 2:23 PM

R96 she was good as Dolly's mama in those Coat of Many Colors movies.

by Anonymousreply 98February 3, 2022 3:21 PM

R97 plenty of love, just read the thread.

It is one of the most perfectly cast shows out there.

by Anonymousreply 99February 4, 2022 8:31 AM

I honestly wouldn’t have even started watching it if not for John Goodman.

by Anonymousreply 100February 4, 2022 8:43 PM

This show and "What We Do In The Shadows" are the only ones that make me laugh out loud.

by Anonymousreply 101February 4, 2022 11:31 PM

The show is absolutely brilliant laugh out loud funny.

by Anonymousreply 102February 4, 2022 11:58 PM

Similar feature film but better than Gemstones was "Canaan Land" starring Knight Rider actress Rebecca Holden as "born again Christian" Sara Sunday who falls for "Brother Billy" a preacher who is secretly a Hollywood Hustler played by Richard Rossi. Cameos include some DL favs, Lynda Carter, Cindy Williams, Sally Kirkland, Louis Gossett Jr.

by Anonymousreply 103February 6, 2022 9:28 PM

"You poor dumb hill person"

by Anonymousreply 104February 7, 2022 2:09 AM

Holy shit!

by Anonymousreply 105February 7, 2022 2:31 AM

So many funny scenes tonight. I think I scared the neighbors laughing at the Kelvin/Keefe scene; again, I was sure that this was the episode where they FINALLY hook up, but not today. Next it was holding my breath watching Keefe try to lift that cross for his man while rocking a black thong. He tried so hard! Damn, Jesse is insecure - he can't accept that his wife may be a better shot. It was kinda sweet to see Judy actually try to comfort Tiffany, in her own unique way, about Billy going MIA.

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER STAY AWAY -- Noooooooo! I can't imagine the show without Eli!

by Anonymousreply 106February 7, 2022 3:16 AM

Not Judy autographing fan photos with "Stay horny!"

by Anonymousreply 107February 7, 2022 3:43 AM

Kelvin's bare ass and Keefe's butt in a thong!

by Anonymousreply 108February 7, 2022 6:45 AM

I might've screen shot Adam Devine posing nude and being changed into his Tommy Johns by Keefe. His lack of definition and that bubble butt are a thing of beauty.

by Anonymousreply 109February 7, 2022 3:14 PM

Adam is way cuter with body hair.

by Anonymousreply 110February 7, 2022 3:20 PM

OMG THEY SHOT ELI

by Anonymousreply 111February 8, 2022 12:28 AM

I wasn't that thrilled with this season in the beginning, but after last week's episode and last night's, I take it back. Sometimes you have wait and see how it all unfolds before being critical.

I think the actor who plays Keefe doesn't get any praise for how terrific he is. After Baby Billy, he's my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 112February 8, 2022 3:19 PM

It's just lazy writing to have the pastor shot by ninjas on bikes. That's a plot point for another, stupider show.

There are so many more interesting, funnier, ways to bring in enemies of Pastor. Have an unctuous Jerry Falwell character come in pretending to help, but all the while trying to undermine and steal the ministry, like Jerry did to Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker.

And how hard would it be for police to spot assassins who always show up on motorbikes lit to the nines in red?

by Anonymousreply 113February 8, 2022 3:54 PM

R113 Well we don't know who sent the ninjas, it could be another pastor. Remember we started the season with Eli kicking a preacher off of his network, so one or more of them might have a beef with him.

by Anonymousreply 114February 8, 2022 4:01 PM

It could be the husband and wife preacher team who wanted Jesse to go in with them on the Florida Zion's Landing megachurch for $10 million. Jesses withdrew and put the blame on Eli. Eric Andre's character was depending on a Gemstone partnership and the money. He was really angry when Jesse said he couldn't get the money.

by Anonymousreply 115February 8, 2022 4:12 PM

Well then why would they target Jesse and his wife, R115? The ninjas shot at them first.

by Anonymousreply 116February 8, 2022 6:57 PM

R116, Eli and only Eli was supposed to be on that van, but Jesse and his wife hopped on before Eli was around and took it for themselves. Jesse and his wife weren't the targets.

I guess since Jesse blamed Eli for not giving him the money, the other preacher and his wife figure that if Eli is out of the picture, then Jesse will have the Gemstone inheritance and have access to the $10 million and will invest in the megachurch.

by Anonymousreply 117February 8, 2022 10:54 PM

I think the cyclists are pretty clearly working for the Lissons, and one person on reddit even posed it might be Joe Jonas and all his brothers under the helmets, ha ha. But I think the show might also be trying to throw Gideon in as a possibility. He has been virtually absent from this season outside of the first episode, and then a quick blink and you miss it appearance in this episode during the old police lady's questioning. The first glimpse we got of Gideon this season was him on a motorcycle doing leaps over dirt as he spun up to Grandaddy Gemstone's house. He supposedly atoned for his sins last season, but ... maybe not.

by Anonymousreply 118February 8, 2022 11:31 PM

[QUOTE] Eli and only Eli was supposed to be on that van, but Jesse and his wife hopped on before Eli was around and took it for themselves. Jesse and his wife weren't the targets.

These are professional assassins and they can’t tell the difference between Eli and Jesse Gemstone?

by Anonymousreply 119February 8, 2022 11:42 PM

r113 There is a violence and action element on this show that will continue....its baked in from the first episode of Season1

by Anonymousreply 120February 9, 2022 6:55 AM

R119, I think the bus had dark out windows, the ninja's didn't see Jesse and his wife get into the vehicle instead of Eli. Eli was supposed to be on the bus for a solo trip, not Jesse, who commandeered the vehicle. The ninja's ganged up on the bus while it was already on the road so they assumed Eli was there.

by Anonymousreply 121February 9, 2022 1:26 PM

Hilarious, sad and heartfelt episode. They finally gave Gideon a meatier part today and he stepped up. And the return of naked man junk... right in Keefe's eye.

by Anonymousreply 122February 14, 2022 3:04 AM

It just dawned on me Jessie looks like Conway Twitty.

by Anonymousreply 123February 14, 2022 3:27 AM

That was a great episode. Directed by Jody Hill.

I still think those ninja's are connected to Lyle Lissons.

by Anonymousreply 124February 15, 2022 2:05 AM

I'm surprised we haven't gotten an episode set in Israel, the Gemstones are clearly the type to take parishioners on a very expensive trip to the Holy Land.

by Anonymousreply 125February 15, 2022 2:09 AM

Omg I was crying laughing at the vomit scene outside the hospital with all Jessie Amber Judy and BJ.

by Anonymousreply 126February 15, 2022 4:25 PM

It would be so funny if the show ends with BJ as head pastor of the church. They all view him as strange and "unchristian" but he is the only person in the Gemstone family that shows any concern or compassion for others. The family all almost worship Aimee-Leigh but, at least from what we've seen in flashbacks BJ is the only one that comes close to being like her.

by Anonymousreply 127February 15, 2022 4:32 PM

The most cartoony episode yet. The overly prodigious vomit scene was straight out of Team America World Police.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128February 15, 2022 5:38 PM

Fake dick was used. No real erect dick will bend like that so easily. Silicone will.

They should have used a real hard on.

by Anonymousreply 129February 16, 2022 5:26 AM

I was touched by Kelvin's offer of TP and a fresh pee pad to make Keefe's stay in the cage more comfortable.

by Anonymousreply 130February 16, 2022 5:49 AM

R129 Thanks for that revelation. We can ALL sleep better now.

by Anonymousreply 131February 16, 2022 10:58 AM

The real flaccid dick on the actor in that scene probably wasn’t long enough to fit through the hole, R129. Those big muscle guys are all small to average.

by Anonymousreply 132February 16, 2022 3:32 PM

Wrong R132. Some have very big ones, some have very small, some are just normal. There is one big muscle guy at my gym and his member is huge. As always generalizations are wrong.

by Anonymousreply 133February 16, 2022 3:53 PM

[QUOTE] There is one big muscle guy at my gym and his member is huge. As always generalizations are wrong.

He must be black.

by Anonymousreply 134February 16, 2022 8:19 PM

Wrong R134 He is Italian and a bottom who has a hard time finding tops.

by Anonymousreply 135February 17, 2022 2:31 PM

That was a joke, R135.

by Anonymousreply 136February 17, 2022 11:03 PM

So basically BJ is the Tom from Succession.

by Anonymousreply 137February 18, 2022 3:51 AM

R137 I haven't watched it Succession is one of those shows that I have decided I will wait until it is almost over and then binge it.

by Anonymousreply 138February 18, 2022 3:54 AM

I think the assassins are the work of those bodybuilder guys, if not Keefe himself.

by Anonymousreply 139February 20, 2022 11:15 AM

Judy punching the bus door was fucking hilarious. I hope she gets nominated for something for this season.

by Anonymousreply 140February 21, 2022 3:31 AM

"No, bitch, that's my aunt!"

by Anonymousreply 141February 21, 2022 3:34 AM

I think the Lissons are definitely behind the ninja bikers since they were all orphaned kids. The Lissons had that choir of orphaned kids. But I am side-eyeing Amber Amberson. She is way too overzealous in taking control.

by Anonymousreply 142February 21, 2022 4:33 AM

Macauley Culkin is looking rough.

by Anonymousreply 143February 21, 2022 5:20 AM

Not that he looks good, but he looks better than I thought he would. He was emaciated wreck for years.

by Anonymousreply 144February 21, 2022 5:25 AM

Was he playing the guy as autistic or something? The silent stares were just awkward.

by Anonymousreply 145February 21, 2022 4:41 PM

Did Eli refer to Keene as “queef?”

by Anonymousreply 146February 21, 2022 6:12 PM

^^Keefe

by Anonymousreply 147February 21, 2022 6:12 PM

R146 Yes he did. It was funnier that the rest of them didn't react to it.

by Anonymousreply 148February 21, 2022 6:20 PM

R145, that's the exact expression Harmon had as a boy. From those scenes of Harmon as a child, I'd say that he's autistic.

by Anonymousreply 149February 22, 2022 2:03 PM

R142, all this time I was certain that the Lisson's were behind the ninja's. After last night's episode, I'm getting strong vibes that Amber may be the one, but didn't she know the plan that Jesse came up with to relocate Eli from the hospital to the house and put a dummy in the hospital bed to lure the ninja's there so that Jesse's crew could catch them? So, I'm still leaning towards the Lisson's and that Eli & Jesse end up opening the Florida megachurch themselves.

by Anonymousreply 150February 22, 2022 2:12 PM

MC has come a long way from Homo Alone and is quite a decent actor.

by Anonymousreply 151February 22, 2022 2:16 PM

R149 I guess it just seemed strange. For most of their scene I just wanted to scream, "React! Do something. I don't care if it is anger, betrayal, a loving reunion of forgiveness, just fucking do something!" It was bad but by the end, I was like no wonder Baby Billy abandoned him. It was like he was physically there, but that there was no there, there. Until, he punched Billy.

by Anonymousreply 152February 22, 2022 4:15 PM

When they showed that flashback of young Harmon in the pet store with Baby Billy, didn't it look like the kid was deformed, like one shoulder was higher than the other one? That was a major issue cause it was all I focused on during that whole scene. Did he just grow out of it?

by Anonymousreply 153February 22, 2022 5:35 PM

R153 I would imagine Aimee Lee and Eli paid for any surgeries and probably supported him and his mother financially. Either out of love or to keep it from becoming a scandal.

by Anonymousreply 154February 22, 2022 5:38 PM

What on earth indicates that, R154?

by Anonymousreply 155February 22, 2022 11:30 PM

R155 Just the way Aimee Lee and Eli are depicted. I can't imagine she would have let her nephew suffer, when she had plenty. We have also seen she was always wanting to help Baby Billy financially when he came asking, so I'd imagine that would extend to her nephew. Eli mentioned the boy doing well which would indicate he had some knowledge about him or some sort of contact. Also, Eli has been shown going to great lengths to hide scandals. It would make sense for him provide support so that the mother wouldn't go get money from the National Enquirer, especially because negative publicity for Baby Billy would be negative publicity for Aimee Lee. And, it would have been easy to throw money at the situation.

by Anonymousreply 156February 22, 2022 11:41 PM

Didn't Judy explicitly say this to Aunt Tiffany when she was showing her the album of UBB's first family? That her parents provided for Harmon?

by Anonymousreply 157February 23, 2022 1:48 AM

R157 She might have, honestly I kinda tune out the Aunt Tiffany scenes. I get everyone is a caricature on this show, but she his the only one I find insulting. It is like they dug her up from Dogpatch, USA and then dumbed her down by 100 percent.

by Anonymousreply 158February 23, 2022 2:51 AM

I think it’s Amber behind the shooting of Eli. Bitch wants it all and knows Jesse isn’t going to go against daddy warbucks.

by Anonymousreply 159February 23, 2022 2:59 AM

R159 But, those guys first went after her and Jessie mistaking them for Eli, unless you think she planned that to throw suspicion.

by Anonymousreply 160February 23, 2022 3:00 AM

If it was Amber, she would definitely NOT got on that bus.

by Anonymousreply 161February 23, 2022 3:02 AM

Amber knew about the plan Jesse had to catch the ninja's by taking Eli out of the hospital, putting a prop in the bed and surrounding the building with armed security. Amber even went on stage at the service with the family to say that Eli had recovered (when he didn't) to lure out the ninjas. So if she knew all about the plan, why would she have sent out the ninjas to finish the job when she knew that Eli was no longer in the hospital? It's the Lisson's.

by Anonymousreply 162February 23, 2022 2:25 PM

R152, Harmon, as a child, never seemed to be all there. I remember there was a family dinner at the restaurant they all go to, and Harmon just sat there staring and picking his nose. Out of nowhere, Harmon hands Baby Billy a piece of paper he scribbled on with a bogger in the middle of it. And Baby Billy just sighed and said that it was a beautiful piece of art that his son just gave him.

by Anonymousreply 163February 23, 2022 2:28 PM

Well, that finale was a bit underwhelming, which is perhaps no one commented here last night. I couldn't even look at Toilet Baby: the second coming, it was just so gross. Although the song at the end was rather sweet and Jesse delivering on his Conway Twitty promise. I don't think it was as good as the first season, but I really appreciated the emphasis on Eli and John Goodman this season.

by Anonymousreply 164February 28, 2022 2:31 PM

I was satisfied overall with the finale. The Lissons got a little darker than expected, but there really wasn't anyone else in the show who could have been behind the ninjas without straining credibility. Thaniel killing himself by accident was a little too silly, even for this show.

by Anonymousreply 165February 28, 2022 2:57 PM

I loved the friendship between Eli and Junior. I hope that they bring back Eric Roberts next season. He was the highlight of this season and seemed to be having a blast. The chemistry between him and John Goodman was undeniable. Hard to believe that they never acted together before this.

by Anonymousreply 166February 28, 2022 3:00 PM

I love the show, it's well done. But lately they seem to be LITERALLY throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks.

by Anonymousreply 167February 28, 2022 6:17 PM

I agree that Eric Roberts was a great addition this season. It was so nice to see him again. I ended up really enjoying his and Goodman's scenes. I also thought Eric Andre was a hoot and got a kick out of his Jack Nicholson Shining-inspired end.

by Anonymousreply 168March 1, 2022 12:55 AM

Shit, they had John Amos as a preacher and we didn't get to see him preach that's fucking weak. Also, I wanted to slap that white bitch. When she slapped him I was like Florida Evans, "Damn, DAMN, DAMN!"

by Anonymousreply 169March 1, 2022 1:43 AM

Was anyone bummed it was the Lissons who tried to off Eli? It was so neat and clean how easy he confessed to Jesse and then they go on the run, no big headline about a rival pastor trying to eliminate his competition then they change the name of the religious vacation scam and no one questions it? Did Eli hire the orphan assassins to take out their former boss in Alaska? I really wanted the assassins to be Judy’s husbands family. Also, Where’s Baby Billys first wife ?

by Anonymousreply 170March 4, 2022 11:33 AM

I know the show goes for over-the-top, but the Lissons were cartoon characters.

by Anonymousreply 171March 4, 2022 12:28 PM

I preferred the first season to the second. There was a better balance of zany and grounded. Also there are just so many characters and threads, the last thing they needed to do was add MORE. So many great characters got sidelined in the second season. Gideon was barely there.

Still looking forward to season three, though.

by Anonymousreply 172March 4, 2022 12:58 PM

I think the show is losing its focus.

It would have been funnier/smarter to stay with satirizing hypocritical mega churches instead of just throwing any shit up against the wall. And having almost all the characters say outrageous things just to be outrageous.

by Anonymousreply 173March 4, 2022 1:15 PM

Maybe it’s just me, but Kelvin doesn’t add much to the show. I like the him in other things, but he seems slightly out of sync with the actors playing his siblings. In a weird way, they play it VERY seriously, which is what’s so goddamn funny about them, but Devine constantly seems to be winking at us or something. But then the writing for his character is the weakest of the three, too. The youth pastor storyline and the muscle men stuff never really paid off. They either need to figure out how to use him or send him and Keefe off on a mission somewhere. Thailand might be fun.

by Anonymousreply 174March 4, 2022 2:10 PM

Good idea R174 and they can have that awkward moment when they realize the hotel has only one bed and their only option is to finally fuck.

by Anonymousreply 175March 4, 2022 2:29 PM

[QUOTE] Shit, they had John Amos as a preacher and we didn't get to see him preach that's fucking weak. Also, I wanted to slap that white bitch. When she slapped him I was like Florida Evans, "Damn, DAMN, DAMN!"

You need to watch the Coming to America sequel on Amazon Prime, R169, to see that John Amos can barely stand now. That’s why you saw him so briefly in that scene sitting. He can’t walk.

by Anonymousreply 176March 4, 2022 3:58 PM

[quote]I preferred the first season to the second. There was a better balance of zany and grounded. Also there are just so many characters and threads, the last thing they needed to do was add MORE. So many great characters got sidelined in the second season. Gideon was barely there.

To me it was just way darker all around with fewer laugh-out-loud moments (although the ones they did have were priceless).

by Anonymousreply 177March 4, 2022 4:58 PM

Okay, this was a hysterical season. Much better than the first IMO. I agree about Kelvin and his arc. They either need to FINALLY commit OR try something COMPLETELY different because, at this point, his character is completely superfluous.

I liked the way they neatly wrapped up the big mystery despite never even going into an investigation. That would've been great considering ALL of the DNA that would've been found in Jesse's car due to that blood slip and slide. They really dropped the ball on that one. Love the toilet baby and A B C references.

Can someone explain how they think Lindy ended up in that box? Did Eric Andre's character throw her to the wolves to make his escape? Because he seemed surprised at the result. I think that might've been an editing problem. This is one of the few times that I've been annoyed that everything's ONLY 8 episodes per season nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 178March 5, 2022 9:29 AM

Alos? I'm constantly surprised by Adam Devine's thicc-ness. That underwear scene made me lick me lips. In fact, all three of the "Workaholics" are FUCKING hot.

by Anonymousreply 179March 5, 2022 9:35 AM

Adam is best with his natural body hair.

by Anonymousreply 180March 5, 2022 10:56 AM

Did anyone else notice that when the Gemstones were performing at church and all their loved ones were watching Keefe signed I Love You to Kelvin? After what those characters have gone through and having Eli being thankful to them for nursing him back to health even after what he did to Kelvin. I think they might actually go there next season and have them come out of the closet. BJ would be the first one to accept them, naturally. But, I think Eli will surprise everyone by supporting them as well, but I think the others will take convincing.

by Anonymousreply 181March 5, 2022 4:20 PM

Weirdly, none of the Gemstones seems all that homophobic. Jesse and Amber seemed totally okay when they thought Gideon was gay.

by Anonymousreply 182March 5, 2022 5:02 PM

One of the great things about Danny McBride shows is that they’re all very gay positive. It’s never a big deal in any of them, going back to Eastbound And Down. But yeah, Gideon is hot. And Jesse’s second son is a future hottie too.

by Anonymousreply 183March 6, 2022 5:13 AM

McBride’s whole, entire thing is subverting/breaking down/making fun of American right-wing stereotypes, particularly male ones. It’s literally the theme of everything he’s done. But he contains it all in these rich, deep, multifaceted shows and characters, and he’s never, ever cruel. And it’s STILL the funniest goddamn shit on tv. It’s really brilliant. He’s probably the best satirist going right now.

by Anonymousreply 184March 6, 2022 5:25 AM

I've never found McBride all that funny in other people's movies, but I enjoyed this show. Is it worth checking out his other shows then? Vice Principals?

by Anonymousreply 185March 6, 2022 9:50 AM

Vice Principals is just as funny, and Walton Goggins gives yet another great performance in it.

by Anonymousreply 186March 6, 2022 2:51 PM

They should do a gay storyline with the Kelvin and the family accepting it, but their congregants and others in the evangelical community rip them apart. It would be good drama.

by Anonymousreply 187March 6, 2022 4:34 PM

I love how accepting they are of Kelvins relationship with Keef but it is odd he’s over 30 and a “youth pastor” who loves to parade jacked shirtless men around his home. I’m still feeling Gideon (who is played by the hysterical kid from Santa Clarita Diet) is going to take them all down in an epic way. He clearly has disdain for their fake lives yet knows to benefit financially from it. I’d love more with Baby Billys son and where is his mom? BJs family are the dark horses, they might finish what Thaneil Block stated and expose the whole ministry for money bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 188March 8, 2022 1:20 PM

[quote]I've never found McBride all that funny in other people's movies, but I enjoyed this show. Is it worth checking out his other shows then? Vice Principals?

Eastbound and Down is better, IMO. But Goggins is great in Vice Principals.

by Anonymousreply 189March 8, 2022 1:27 PM

R188, why do you think Gideon has distain for his family? He was angry with them in season 1, but they have come to be mutually respectful of each other's choices. Both Jesses and Amber were very impressed with Gideon's bravery in helping to capture the motorcycle assassins and they are now very supportive of Gideon living his dream of being a movie stunt man.

by Anonymousreply 190March 8, 2022 1:34 PM

I could see some storyline of the Gemstones doing something that pisses Gideon off again and he turns on them again.

by Anonymousreply 191March 8, 2022 1:47 PM

R191, It seemed to me that Gideon's storyline wrapped up and we won't see him again, but I could see something like that happening to keep Gideon relevant.

by Anonymousreply 192March 8, 2022 2:11 PM

I love how weirdly badass Gideon is, especially on his bike. And yet he’s so mild and and sweet in conversation. That actor is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 193March 8, 2022 2:20 PM

The whole point is Gideon is grossed out by his families bullshit and since he has a taste of Hollywood, he knows they’re just as phony but they prey on simpletons for money and faith. His parents are into celebrity (they fan girled over Joe Jonas) so Gideon on a movie set gives them bragging rights. They’re all about being better than others so this gives them a leg up over other parents. But Gideon’s not done with them, he’s definitely too good an actor to not use in a bigger juicier role.

by Anonymousreply 194March 8, 2022 3:44 PM

[quote]Can someone explain how they think Lindy ended up in that box? Did Eric Andre's character throw her to the wolves to make his escape? Because he seemed surprised at the result. I think that might've been an editing problem.

Right before the snowmobiler ninjas show up, the Lissons are watching Young Guns, and Emilio Estevez does just that, they watch the scene of him being thrown out of the window in a trunk and then he leaps out and shoots everyone. Eric Andre's character thought it would work with his wife and is stunned when the fall actually hurts her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195March 8, 2022 4:48 PM

The simple way they could bring Gideon back into more of the story is to have him decide to keep doing stunt work but to also become a wrestler. That would bond him with Eli and they could keep Eric Roberts around as his manager. I mean professional wrestlers are really just performing stunts. Yes he isn't large, but that could be his hook and make the scenes extra funny.

by Anonymousreply 196March 8, 2022 4:57 PM

[quote]why do you think Gideon has distain for his family?

Gideon is the audience. He sees them for what they are. But he is ambitious.

I could see him quietly working to unseat his father as the inheritor of the whole business.

by Anonymousreply 197March 8, 2022 5:04 PM

[quote] I’m still feeling Gideon (who is played by the hysterical kid from Santa Clarita Diet) is going to take them all down in an epic way.

I loved the actor on that show. I think that could have lasted another season or two especially given what happened in the last episode of the series.

by Anonymousreply 198March 8, 2022 9:22 PM

R198 I do too, now I try waiting for a Netflix show to end before watching it.

by Anonymousreply 199March 8, 2022 9:25 PM

R199 I give the Santa Clarita Diet showrunners some credit for at least sensing that it was going to be end and giving an ending that gave a good degree of closure. But, still that ending in the episode would have made for great storylines for a couple of more seasons and they could went the same path with Skyler Gisondo's character and the daughter character.

by Anonymousreply 200March 9, 2022 3:14 AM

R188 How accepting they are? I think that's because they think so little of him that they don't realize it's anything more than a friendship.

by Anonymousreply 201March 9, 2022 11:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!