Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Paranoid Conspiracies

Who's out to get you? Plotting? They're watching. They're using sock puppets to gray out your posts! Who are they? What do they want?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 21, 2023 8:49 PM

Sockpuppeting obviously sometimes happens, but at the worst it's irritating. It's not the end of the world. We don't need to have screeching meltdowns about it.

by Anonymousreply 1May 20, 2023 9:37 AM

My paranoid conspiracy theory is that when people start morbid discussions about suicide, asking for stories or dwelling on it in some way, that they're intentionally goading suggestible people into suicide attempts.

by Anonymousreply 2May 20, 2023 9:42 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 20, 2023 9:43 AM

r2 I can believe that.

by Anonymousreply 4May 20, 2023 9:52 AM

There’s this annoying bitch from our old neighborhood. I swear she posts things on the neighborhood Facebook page just to annoy me. But then it occurred to me today she has many other enemies, so she could just as easily be taunting them.

by Anonymousreply 5May 20, 2023 10:21 AM

Pickleball isn't fun. It feels like something an elementary school gym teacher came up with at the last minute on a rainy day to keep the kids busy. It isn't right. They're up to something.

by Anonymousreply 6May 20, 2023 11:14 AM

We studied that episode in elementary school, R3. We were learning about the Cold War and it was supposed to help explain it to us.

by Anonymousreply 7May 20, 2023 11:19 AM

r7 I believe it. It's an episode that truly can stand the test of time. Just brilliant writing from Serling. Period.

by Anonymousreply 8May 20, 2023 11:36 AM

Everything being the fault of Satanists is the funnest conspiracy. Have you guys heard of the supposed Hillary Clinton/ Huma Abedin video "frazzledrip"?

by Anonymousreply 9May 20, 2023 12:06 PM

I've never understood who has time for sockpuppets or how they keep them straight. Spreadsheets?

by Anonymousreply 10May 20, 2023 12:30 PM

R5 I bet she gets some sick satisfaction out of it, too. Fabulous Frau bitch.

by Anonymousreply 11May 20, 2023 12:34 PM

R9 A sex tape?

by Anonymousreply 12May 20, 2023 12:37 PM

I think OP needs to take his sock puppets and red pencils, and schedule an appointment with Dr. Marlene Evans.

by Anonymousreply 13May 20, 2023 12:38 PM

I personally know a couple of people who enjoy puppeting and they're psycho losers with no lives, R10. They keep notes, spreadsheets, and hundreds of tabs open. They think they're NASA when they're just borderline.

Hate conspiracy theorists. They all need medication.

by Anonymousreply 14May 20, 2023 12:45 PM

R10 A virtual desktop works wond.... I mean, who knows, who knows?

by Anonymousreply 15May 20, 2023 12:49 PM

R14 they openly talk about this? They do it voluntarily without being paid?

by Anonymousreply 16May 20, 2023 12:50 PM

He was very politically prescient, R8. He was also very good at building pathos with the characters. You were always living their situation with them.

by Anonymousreply 17May 20, 2023 12:51 PM

I suspect the Spanish Inquisition is up to its old tricks.

by Anonymousreply 18May 20, 2023 12:54 PM

Hillary Clinton is hidin' under mah SINK!

by Anonymousreply 19May 20, 2023 1:00 PM

When I was in high school and being bullied, I thought my small hick town must surely be a coven of Devil-worshipers. It was during the 'Satanic Panic' of the 70s - 80s, and several young people had 'committed suicide' or been outright murdered in the area. Drugs were rampant. One classmate who supposedly hung himself was rumored to have been covered in witchy graffiti.

by Anonymousreply 20May 20, 2023 1:06 PM

R16, yes. The ones I know did. They thought it was cool/funny. Like most mentally ill people, they didn't see how dumb, distasteful, and abnormal their behavior was. Or they did but got off on offending people.

Either way? Disgusting humans.

by Anonymousreply 21May 20, 2023 1:11 PM

I've been here since 1995. Gay, white, almost 60, and a known troll is convinced I'm running socks and one of them is a "Black Millenial". It's funny because he's convinced I'm a totally different posters. He's talking to different people thinking they are all one and the same. It's quite funny but at the same time I have to question his sanity.

by Anonymousreply 22May 20, 2023 2:22 PM

I hate conspiracies too but when I was doing drugs in my twenties I became convinced everyone else was a pod person like in 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers'.

Now I only think Republicans are.

by Anonymousreply 23May 20, 2023 2:44 PM

He's harmless and sometimes very thoughtful and kind, R22, but that's an incredibly irritating habit and served as the inspiration for this thread.

by Anonymousreply 24May 20, 2023 2:57 PM

He's also long winded and speaks rather pompously R24. I've tried blocking it but it's not working. Not sure if Muriel needs to fix that little issue or if it's on my end. Blocked him yesterday for his nonsensical accusations but he was back this morning.

by Anonymousreply 25May 20, 2023 3:53 PM

R20 This sounds like the South.

by Anonymousreply 26May 20, 2023 3:54 PM

THEY LIVE is available to watch on tubi. It's a favorite film of mine and very gay.

by Anonymousreply 27May 20, 2023 4:38 PM

r22 I know exactly who you're talking about because he's done it to me several times but I actually am Black and a millennial but a female. There is (or was) a gay Black guy around my age on here who signed all of his posts "Black Millennial" who I made the "grave mistake" of agreeing with on certain issues affecting our community and people.

He is convinced we are the same person because...of course, the only two admitted Black people co-signing each other's opinions on Black issues on a site used mostly by Whites are the same person. Of course, we are. /s

r24 I didn't have a problem with him either until he started doing this and it, lowkey, bothered me a bit because, at the end of the day, the main reason he thinks we're the same person is because we're Black. He has accused me of "faking being Black" because of my views on certain issues in my community. But...[bold]he's White[/bold].

It's like a digital version of "All of [italic]you people[/italic] look alike." Just replace the word "look" with "think" and you have the problematic mentality that PD has. It's beyond an "irritating habit." He's using a racial dog whistle to mock/condescend people's posts. I'm at a point where I think it's deliberately being done to antagonize users. That is the very definition of trolling.

by Anonymousreply 28May 20, 2023 6:31 PM

R28 I ended up having to block him, he's not an evil person but he has such hard line attitudes he can't just live and let live. Very prone, like you said, to black and white thinking- both literally and figuratively.

Pretty astonishing arrogance to assume that if someone steps a toe away from the party line that they can't possibly be gay, or black, or a liberal, etc. Feels like shit being hemmed in by clueless people who claim to support you. I guess if I was a master of the universe who had all the answers I'd start ordering everybody around too. Who knows?

by Anonymousreply 29May 21, 2023 12:01 PM

Also- paranoid conspiracy theory incoming!

The troll hunters are themselves trolling- shutting down conversations they don't want occurring and targeting posters they see as potential threats to their control.

by Anonymousreply 30May 21, 2023 12:04 PM

I believe the current inflation/post-pandemic situation in the U.S. has been artificially extended to benefit corporations. And corporations are using every excuse to cut corners, produce inferior products, and cheat consumers.

by Anonymousreply 31May 21, 2023 12:46 PM

Hotels aren't even bothering to change the sheets anymore.

by Anonymousreply 32May 21, 2023 12:57 PM

R30 truly what I think that PD troll is trying to do. He's hijacking threads with his petty arguments. Disagreement over a minor POV. He can't take any disagreement without pulling out the "you're a sock puppet and I have proof" which he doesn't but he'll insist you said this and that on this date and it's still nothing you ever said. Big time troll.

by Anonymousreply 33May 21, 2023 6:25 PM

That anyone who doesn’t 100% agree with you on datalounge is a Russian agent trying to end the greatness of the USA.

by Anonymousreply 34May 21, 2023 6:30 PM

It's funny. You can read all sorts of intelligent posts by someone and start to like his or her posts, but then you go into a JFK assassination conspiracy thread or a 9/11 thread and you find out that poster is a conspiracy nutjob. So disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 35May 21, 2023 6:35 PM

Crazy isn't it R35? The BRF/MM threads killed any like I may have had for a lot of posters. Perfectly reasonable on one thread then ranting about "mooghan" laundering money for Russians and singlehandedly destroying the universe while being so hideously ugly and cloven footed. They come across as insanely jealous 12 year olds.

by Anonymousreply 36May 21, 2023 6:41 PM

r35 I typically have no problems with engaging with posters when I wholly disagree with them on certain issues. It's when they blatantly start using tactics to derail a conversation with vapid personal attacks or the "sock puppet/troll" accusations that I disengage. If it continues, then I block because, at that point, engagement/discourse is just no longer possible, anyway. And I just assume they don't want it to be possible, hence the behavior.

by Anonymousreply 37May 21, 2023 8:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!