Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

THEATRE GOSSIP #525: The “Alison Pill Will NOT be Posting in This Thread” Edition

Get out your Playbills and make yourself known at the stage door, ladies! Alison is trying to duck out early again.

by Anonymousreply 603May 20, 2023 4:05 PM

*yourselves

by Anonymousreply 1May 11, 2023 6:22 PM

And you were saying about avoiding another botched title situation?

by Anonymousreply 2May 11, 2023 6:36 PM

The title is just fine actually, R2. There was a slight revision needed in the narrative section for grammatical purposes.

Are you the genius who came up with the last thread title?

by Anonymousreply 3May 11, 2023 6:45 PM

I've worked with Gavin a few times. First, in the chorus of 42ND STREET in college. We didn't interact during that. Then we were both in HAIR at Encores where I held a book the entire show except during my solo. Gavin and I shared a dressing room. Then we did the Roundabout's experimental production of the SPRING AWAKENING musical. He played Melchior and I played Moritz. Lea played Wendla. Gavin and I were in our late 20s. Lea was 14. So, what I have to say about Gavin is yes, he has a beautiful voice but he is also a very inventive actor. I had to work to keep up with him. And of course, he's also very funny. Not sure why he hasn't done more TV. Not sure if he has pursued it. I would think he could pull off TV for sure. He was good in the Eloise movies.

P.S. In OLIVER!, the boys briefly held books (which they didn't look at) at the very end of Act 1. And some chorus actors held them too early in Act 1.

by Anonymousreply 4May 11, 2023 9:11 PM

I wonder why Gavin didn’t do more film/tv either

by Anonymousreply 5May 11, 2023 9:31 PM

R5 Because he would end up C-list on tv/in film…better to keep in his place as B+- list Broadway

by Anonymousreply 6May 11, 2023 10:06 PM

Ha. With the other thread reaching its end I was going to start an Alison Pill titled one to ensure we didn't get stuck with something like the last one, did a search to see if there already was one, and here it is. Well done, OP.

by Anonymousreply 7May 11, 2023 10:48 PM

Link to previous thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 11, 2023 11:07 PM

Betty Buckley replaced Bernadette in Song & Dance for about a month before it closed. She didn’t have the warmth or humour for that anyway. But why would proving herself a box office flop in Song & Dance set her up to take the lead in Chess?

Also, Judy Kuhn was with Trevor Nunn, at the time.

by Anonymousreply 9May 11, 2023 11:15 PM

For Alison Pill to pull that line around Glenda Jackson is really quite something.

by Anonymousreply 10May 11, 2023 11:22 PM

[Quote] Audra's going to do a concert for Roger Rocka's dinner theater in Fresno in June. She started out there. I saw her do The Wiz and it was obvious she didn't belong in Fresno.

How cool is that! Tell us what she was like so early in her career in the Wiz

by Anonymousreply 11May 11, 2023 11:23 PM

For Audra...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 11, 2023 11:26 PM

Awesome, R12.

by Anonymousreply 13May 11, 2023 11:45 PM

[quote] I just don't think Gavin is hung... any verificata?....It was average in HAIR but maybe he’s a grower not a shower. I remember Will Swenson being thick.

If you are talking Broadway, Gavin didn't go nude. And how you saw Will be be a mystery as he would hide in the back like a scared rabbit. Was in the first row and only saw his head. The upper one.

by Anonymousreply 14May 12, 2023 12:06 AM

In London "Cinderella" opened the second act with the ball. as the dancers move around the stage, the stage revolved but so did the audience. The first seven rows revolved sound to the back of the stage for a while then move back into position. Cool, alas they din;t do this for Broadway.

Start at 1:45 and watch when the camera pulls back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 12, 2023 12:12 AM

Love "I Know Him So Well" and I love Barbra Streisand and eagerly awaited this song on one of Broadway albums but it wasn't meant be. Because she indeed recorded it and is maybe her biggest fail. She not only over sings the whole thing, she sings it with some guy. I don't even know who he is. WTF?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 12, 2023 12:16 AM

R16, Whitney also a sings a version with her mom

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 12, 2023 12:19 AM

You're SO cutting edge, OP. Not only did you steal someone's idea for the thread title, you did it two threads too late.

I'm very sure you still went upstairs to the kitchen and bragged to your mom about how clever you are.

Congrats to you.

by Anonymousreply 18May 12, 2023 12:35 AM

So, I’m actually the one who shared the original Alison Pill anecdote from my own stage door experience after THREE TALL WOMEN a couple threads ago.

But I’m glad you like it!

by Anonymousreply 19May 12, 2023 12:40 AM

During Song & Dance, Betty had a little sniff-sniff problem and that may be why she wasn’t considered for Chess. I have it on good authority that she went bonkers when the producers closed Song & Dance because she wanted it to run longer. But she really wasn’t right for the role because she has zero vulnerability.

by Anonymousreply 20May 12, 2023 12:41 AM

[QUOTE] But [Betty Buckley] really wasn’t right for the role because she has zero vulnerability.

The only time I’ve ever seen her project vulnerability was in her cameo in Woody Allen’s “Another Woman” (1988).

by Anonymousreply 21May 12, 2023 12:44 AM

r18 = Alison Pill

by Anonymousreply 22May 12, 2023 12:46 AM

Someone give R18 a fresh Rely tampon, because she needs to change her bloody rag.

by Anonymousreply 23May 12, 2023 12:59 AM

People will always vote for Audra. You can never count her out.

by Anonymousreply 24May 12, 2023 1:11 AM

That’s interesting that she went beserk when song and Dance closed. I think what really hurt her image during this period was the punk, short haircut. It just breathed “CUNT” to all who met her

by Anonymousreply 25May 12, 2023 2:56 AM

I don’t think there’s much cachet in getting her seventh when Chastaine and Comer have across the board raves.

by Anonymousreply 26May 12, 2023 2:57 AM

No one wants to see Audra ever win another Tony.

Most of us would like to see her give a few back.

by Anonymousreply 27May 12, 2023 2:59 AM

Agree, especially for her Billie Holiday.

by Anonymousreply 28May 12, 2023 3:01 AM

Maybe we could musicalize 'Fresno' for Audra.

by Anonymousreply 29May 12, 2023 3:26 AM

From the previous thread:

[quote]The Shubert organization ran both shows with Bernard Jacobs. Betty did Song and Dance on Broadway with the understanding she would then open Chess on Broadway as both were under Bernard Jacobs and the Shuberts

Umm, I REALLY don't think theater owners are able to guarantee that particular actors will be cast in particular shows. What a bizarre statement.

by Anonymousreply 30May 12, 2023 3:36 AM

[quote] That’s interesting that she went beserk when song and Dance closed.

Here’s a story I heard. I only heard it from one person so I can’t verify that it’s true.

On closing night of Song & Dance, Buckley made an end of performance curtain speech where she ripped the producers for not giving her a chance and closing the show early (she only performed the role for a month).

I can partly believe that Betty was batshit crazy enough to do this. However, I can’t imagine Andrew Lloyd Webber wasn’t a bit pissed off about her doing that. He later approved her casting to replace in Sunset Boulevard so I question how true that story is.

by Anonymousreply 31May 12, 2023 4:01 AM

To the pissy queen who keeps accusing people of "stealing" thread titles (since this isn't the first time): when someone proposes a good idea for a thread title, which was the case with this Alison Pill one back in 523, it's not theft to use it for the next thread. It's good sense, it's naturally following the flow of the conversation, and it's a basic acknowledgement of one's fellow DLers. If someone has a good idea, acknowledge it and use it. It's stupid to ignore a perfectly good thread title someone pitched to use something dumb, irrelevant, or less clever. And it's certainly not avoiding "theft."

by Anonymousreply 32May 12, 2023 4:02 AM

In the 1970s and 1980s, PBS produced and broadcast some great theater. Why did they stop producing theater? They currently partner with British tv to produce tv series, why not theater?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 12, 2023 4:06 AM

Did Betty at least get a swimming pool out of Andrew?

by Anonymousreply 34May 12, 2023 4:14 AM

Get a load of R32, the Anderson Cooper of DL. GFY and your condescension. Theft is theft and the OP stole it. But when you’re from Buffalo you have to do SOMETHING.

by Anonymousreply 35May 12, 2023 4:19 AM

r35 - It's *Pittsburgh*, you ninny.

by Anonymousreply 36May 12, 2023 4:22 AM

Girls! Girls! You're ALL cunts!

by Anonymousreply 37May 12, 2023 4:28 AM

R32 acknowledgement?!

Really —oh dear!

by Anonymousreply 38May 12, 2023 9:43 AM

I appreciated the two lists from the NY Times critics for the Tonys. Interesting read... I don't live in NY, so there are shows listed I've never heard of, so I read some reviews. Linda Lavin? She's still performing? Good Lord, she's ancient - right? I mean, good for her, but she's still performing?!

by Anonymousreply 39May 12, 2023 9:48 AM

R35, I really hope you're a parody post, because surely no one can be that dumb (though we know you are since you botched the Auntie Mame line). OP/r19 already said he's the one who told the Alison Pill story in thread 523 in the first place. Who exactly do you think he stole the title from? Himself?

by Anonymousreply 40May 12, 2023 10:49 AM

On a more relevant note, at the bottom of this is a link to a full gallery of Tony nominee portraits; I can't find a link to just that. A lot of nice pics. What do we know of & Juliet writer David West Read? He's quite handsome

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 12, 2023 11:08 AM

R36, the OP is from Buffalo. Don’t come for me, you daft cow, until you can follow a thread.

by Anonymousreply 42May 12, 2023 11:26 AM

Oh wow the olds are restless this morning

by Anonymousreply 43May 12, 2023 11:37 AM

The travesty at Oliver!! reminds me of the debacle at the Andy Randells led production of Falsettos years ago where everyone was tripping over pages of script ripped from binders the cast was using on stage. A dangerous situation to say the leasr.

by Anonymousreply 44May 12, 2023 11:49 AM

TONYs likely not happening, according to NY Post

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45May 12, 2023 11:53 AM

"may not happen" not "likely"

by Anonymousreply 46May 12, 2023 11:56 AM

They are not happening. There's so way the stagehands, the musicians and the actors will cross any picket lines.

by Anonymousreply 47May 12, 2023 12:08 PM

Well, then say goodbye to Kimberly Akimbo.

by Anonymousreply 48May 12, 2023 12:10 PM

Thievery! in the Theatre Gossip Thread is my favorite Panic! at the Disco cover band.

by Anonymousreply 49May 12, 2023 12:24 PM

r39, Lavin was in an off-Broadway play YOU WILL GET SICK, thus not actually eligible for a Tony. She was hilarious with her usual impeccable timing, but the p[lay was utter shit. I did wonder how desperate she is to work if she took on that bad play, even if it did give her the opportunity to get back on the boards again.

by Anonymousreply 50May 12, 2023 12:47 PM

Does a Tony show even matter if I’m not nominated?

by Anonymousreply 51May 12, 2023 1:28 PM

Betty has been bonkers for over 40 years. The stories of her arguments with God in her dressing room at the Winter Garden are legendary.

by Anonymousreply 52May 12, 2023 1:53 PM

Betty may be batshit…but she was a star!

The gals today don’t have the star quality

by Anonymousreply 53May 12, 2023 1:55 PM

“ Alan Menken and Nell Benjamin at work on ‘Nancy Drew’ musical" by Broadway News' Caitlin Hornik - "“Nancy Drew and the Mystery at Spotlight Manor: A Musical” is currently in development. … “Spotlight Manor” is an original mystery written especially for the theater, inspired by more than 175 Nancy Drew stories. Set at a theater camp known as Spotlight Manor, the show will feature music by … Alan Menken, lyrics by … Nell Benjamin and a book by … Sarah Kernochan. … James Lapine will direct."

by Anonymousreply 54May 12, 2023 2:23 PM

Serious question: Are the Nancy Drew books still popular/read?

by Anonymousreply 55May 12, 2023 2:25 PM

Alan Menken? Gurl, quit while you’re ahead…

by Anonymousreply 56May 12, 2023 2:59 PM

If I was in my early 70's and blessed with enormous personal wealth derived from Disney royalties, I can't imagine ever thinking: 'Yes, I will spend the finite time I have left on this planet writing a Nancy fucking Drew musical.'

by Anonymousreply 57May 12, 2023 3:06 PM

Alan Menken is ahead?

by Anonymousreply 58May 12, 2023 3:36 PM

[quote]Serious question: Are the Nancy Drew books still popular/read?

They've never gone out of style with the bondage crowd.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59May 12, 2023 3:53 PM

r57

That’s because he’s a soulless heterosexual!

by Anonymousreply 60May 12, 2023 3:55 PM

This is gossip? Should have known with this crappy thread title.

by Anonymousreply 61May 12, 2023 4:21 PM

R10 R13 R14 R15 R16

by Anonymousreply 62May 12, 2023 4:24 PM

Ok :)

I've been reading DL for many years and read so, SO many completely bonkers things about Betty Buckley that I am now asking - imploring really - that y'all just honestly delineate (without snark) what exactly is true about her and what exactly her personal problems are and when exactly they happened and affected her career....because I am totally lost.

I love her voice and presence, and I believe (from hearing her interviews) that she's an odd duck who thinks very highly of herself (which frankly is earned).

But you guys say things like "she's insane!" and "she argued with God in her Winter Garden dressing room and it was legendary!" and "she gave blowjobs to stage hands before her entrance at the top of the staircase in Sunset Boulevard!" and "she was a coke fiend!" and "she ruined her career!" and I am confused as hell. I've never read so many wild things about a Bway performer. I'm sure some are just gossip and jokes, but they've obscured the real story here. What is true?

Could someone here who knows her history be so kind as to just tell whatever the real story is about her, without exaggerating and jokes, just so there is a baseline from which we can all have a conversation about Betty?

I really would appreciate that. She's a fave of mine...and I've heard insanely off-the-wall stuff about her on here for years. I just want to know what's legit.

Borle and Laura BB's affair on Legally Blonde ending his engagement to Sutton? Real. Nathan being unpleasant off stage? Real. Stritch being unpleasant offstage? Also real.

Betty LB..? You tell me....

by Anonymousreply 63May 12, 2023 4:44 PM

This is such a horrific idea I don't know why anyone would write an article about it, especially for something that has no chance of happening.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64May 12, 2023 4:54 PM

Borle was married to Foster when whatever happened at LB with LBB happened.

by Anonymousreply 65May 12, 2023 5:24 PM

R64. And they still won't fill seats.

by Anonymousreply 66May 12, 2023 5:25 PM

So, this news of a Nancy Drew musical... wasn't it already done with Trixie True, Teen Detective?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67May 12, 2023 5:31 PM

Tony Awards Hang in Balance as Organizers Petition Striking Writers Guild:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68May 12, 2023 6:08 PM

Tony Awards Committee Plans Strike-Related Emergency Meeting:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69May 12, 2023 6:09 PM

I bet they get the waiver. Broadway brings more money to NY than all the sports teams combined.

by Anonymousreply 70May 12, 2023 9:45 PM

What does the WGA care if Broadway brings money to NYC? This is the perfect opportunity for them to dig in and make the strike hurt the city. It's called leverage.

by Anonymousreply 71May 12, 2023 9:48 PM

Broadway shows have already been written. It's not like repeats of tv shows are being forced to be pulled from streaming

by Anonymousreply 72May 12, 2023 9:56 PM

R11, it was a very rare time when I thought someone would be a star and they actually turned out to be one. She was very young but she already had a wonderful poise about her and of course, her voice was already amazing to hear. The next year she did Evita and when they said she was 17 I couldn't believe it. She almost literally turned it into a rock opera and I was mesmerized. The Roger Rocka's Dinner Theater is sort of a fun excursion (I live in LA but have relatives in Fresno), but occasionally, you'll discover someone who makes Dinner Theater into a must see.

by Anonymousreply 73May 12, 2023 10:01 PM

r73 - how fun to have seen her that early on!

by Anonymousreply 74May 12, 2023 10:11 PM

R72 don’t write stupid. It is about honoring another union’s strike… did you even study US history?

by Anonymousreply 75May 12, 2023 10:24 PM

Tony Awards Will Not Be Televised As Scheduled on June 11:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76May 12, 2023 11:38 PM

Sarah Kernochan is married to Lapine, no?

by Anonymousreply 77May 12, 2023 11:40 PM

R76 - bummer. I imagine they'll delay, though, by then, some of the nominees will have closed.

by Anonymousreply 78May 12, 2023 11:42 PM

The people who write "and the nominees are..." are WGA?

by Anonymousreply 79May 12, 2023 11:48 PM

My god you people are so stupid.

by Anonymousreply 80May 12, 2023 11:54 PM

Or are the people who write "and the nominees are..." people who aren't in the WGA but like to pretend they are on social media even though WGA has never heard of them?

by Anonymousreply 81May 12, 2023 11:56 PM

[quote] Broadway shows have already been written. It's not like repeats of tv shows are being forced to be pulled from streaming

There’s a lot of patter that needs to be written.

They could do it without writers, but it would just be scenes from the shows, with nothing between them.

Which, actually, sounds pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 82May 13, 2023 12:00 AM

That sound you hear is Lord Voldemort screaming at his assistants to find a way to settle the fucking writer's strike. He lost to dirty puppets once, but this was supposed to be his year!!!

by Anonymousreply 83May 13, 2023 12:07 AM

I misread that as "Abortion Pill"

by Anonymousreply 84May 13, 2023 12:09 AM

Just as Broadway seemed to be making a recovery this happens. I don't really think the Tonys these days change much about the fortunes of shows but the postponing of the Tonys is just not good for morale. It just makes the Tonys seem like a long-suffering Sad Sack maiden aiunt.

by Anonymousreply 85May 13, 2023 12:11 AM

Is anyone else having an issue that when they post a comment, it doesn't automatically make the thread appear in their thread watcher? It's happened to me twice on this thread. Hoping this 3rd comment does the trick.

Thank you for your patience.

by Anonymousreply 86May 13, 2023 12:13 AM

[quote]They could do it without writers, but it would just be scenes from the shows, with nothing between them.

I don't think it's just about doing the show without writers, it's also fear that many of the stars wouldn't be willing to cross a picket line in order to attend. I believe Lin-Manuel has already indicated that he wouldn't do it.

by Anonymousreply 87May 13, 2023 12:16 AM

Yes r86. Happened to me this morning.

by Anonymousreply 88May 13, 2023 12:16 AM

Exactly, R87. It's solidarity between unions, seeing as CBS and Paramount+ are part of AMPTP—the WGA's current foe. No stagehands and very few actors and other creatives would cross a picket line to attend a televised ceremony without the WGA waiver.

by Anonymousreply 89May 13, 2023 12:19 AM

Is it possible for them to hold the awards as planned and not televise it?

They could still film it and show it at a later date for everyone to see the performances. These awards shows started off without being shown to the public.

This way the winning shows can still benefit from getting the award.

by Anonymousreply 90May 13, 2023 12:23 AM

Yeah, I say say, just get on with it!

by Anonymousreply 91May 13, 2023 12:27 AM

Tony Awards will NOT be televised this year as the union denies waiver

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92May 13, 2023 12:29 AM

This feels like a game theory dilemma. Delaying the ceremony (as long as it's not too long) might be better for the industry overall, but having the press conference is better for the individual plays that need the win.

by Anonymousreply 93May 13, 2023 12:30 AM

[quote]These awards shows started off without being shown to the public.

Yeah, yeah, r90, and the first prizes were "a scroll, cigarette lighter and articles of jewelry such as 14-carat gold compacts and bracelets for the women, and money clips for the men".

by Anonymousreply 94May 13, 2023 12:37 AM

They can still award the statues, just not on tv.

by Anonymousreply 95May 13, 2023 12:40 AM

I understand the union solidarity, but the WGA is specifically a writer's guild for film and television. This is a celebration of theatre -- dramatists, composers, performers and designers! These are two separate industries for all intents and purposes. Paramount/Viacom is the sticking point here (as part of the AMPTP) but these nominated shows and talents have nothing to do with that.

This is where union solidarity gets a bit too strong-headed. Don't cripple an entire adjacent industry that's crucially depending on this televised awards show to move tickets in NYC and on the road. They DO need a broadcaster/streamer to televise the damn thing, but they shouldn't be penalized for that. Especially if they make concessions to make it a writer-less show. I'm sure CBS/Paramount would be delighted to wrap the whole thing up in 90 minutes.

NYC theatre is just BARELY emerging from the pandemic haze, and to not be able to celebrate the Tonys (which ARE time sensitive for a show's survival) is a huge misstep. And I could see it breeding a certain amount of resentment. I say this as a card carrying member of SAG, Equity and the WGA btw.

by Anonymousreply 96May 13, 2023 1:17 AM

Whatsa matter you, r96...no IATSE?

by Anonymousreply 97May 13, 2023 1:25 AM

[quote]This is where union solidarity gets a bit too strong-headed. Don't cripple an entire adjacent industry that's crucially depending on this televised awards show to move tickets in NYC and on the road.

Well said, R96. I think it was the wrong move for WGA to deny the waiver, as it risks putting a lot of workers out work when/if their shows close. Plus, it's not like it would be some huge win for CBS and Paramount+ since the Tonys are not some ratings bonanza.

But that point remains that since they did deny the waiver, no actors are going to want to cross the picket line.

by Anonymousreply 98May 13, 2023 1:32 AM

I just learned that during the 2007-2008 writer's strike, the WGA approved a waiver allowing the SAG Awards to go on as usual. That makes their denying a waiver for the Tonys a bit more egregious, in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 99May 13, 2023 1:48 AM

Solidarity, forever!

Look for the union!

by Anonymousreply 100May 13, 2023 2:11 AM

Look...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101May 13, 2023 2:42 AM

So, Rin Tin Tin and Myrna Loy and...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102May 13, 2023 2:49 AM

The ILGWU sponsored the development of Penn South, right in the heart of Chelsea..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103May 13, 2023 2:50 AM

I auditioned for a musical theater part with " Look for the Union Label" and got the role.

by Anonymousreply 104May 13, 2023 3:13 AM

The whole point of the strike is to deny Networks and Streaming entities product. The Tony Awards are product. The WGA would have been nuts to grant this waiver.

by Anonymousreply 105May 13, 2023 3:42 AM

R92: At least we don’t have to sit through a another cringeworthy DeBose number. The girl cannot sing or dance for shit.

by Anonymousreply 106May 13, 2023 3:42 AM

DeBose is in a workshop for the new "Kiss of the Spiderwoman."

by Anonymousreply 107May 13, 2023 4:37 AM

Without a TONY telecast, will a few shows that were on the bubble announce closing notices sooner rather than later? They've lost a major opportunity to drum up some business.

I'm thinking LEOPOLDSTADT, KIMBERLY AKIMBO (2 shows I really enjoyed), GOOD NIGHT OSCAR, and SLIH. They're all hurting.

It's not just numbers of viewers for the awards telecast (which are rather small for TV): it's the social media and journalistic buzz that surrounds the TONYs.

I support the WGA but I agree that it's a shame.

by Anonymousreply 108May 13, 2023 5:22 AM

Spider Woman will be a massive flop with DeBose

by Anonymousreply 109May 13, 2023 5:45 AM

Rita Moreno wants the part.

by Anonymousreply 110May 13, 2023 5:48 AM

Of course they could still just announce the winners w/o an actual TV show...even just give out awards at a dinner but since the Tony Awards (and all industry given awards) are just marketing tools, they're not about to do that. They want that TV coverage.

As for Leopoldstadt it's already scheduled to end July 2nd and Good Night Oscar is also a limited run until August. Tony wins aren't going to change that...though I suppose If "Oscar" suddenly became some huge hit, they might extend but....that's not gonna happen.

Some Like It Hot has just been hanging on for months anyway....it's obviously not a show people care much for since it's had a ton of hype and still can't draw a crowd. It's time to call it a day.

by Anonymousreply 111May 13, 2023 8:46 AM

SLIH won’t just call it a day because tptb want to believe that it is important work. Marc Shaiman thinks it’s his best work since Hairspray.

To say that these people are delusional is an understatement.

by Anonymousreply 112May 13, 2023 10:36 AM

The Grey House is one of the worst plays I’ve seen on Broadway in a while. What in the world attracted Metcalf and Mantello to this piece of shit? The writer’s main previous credit is an adaptation of Pinocchio for a children’s theater.

by Anonymousreply 113May 13, 2023 11:32 AM

I think SPIDER WOMAN would be a flop under any circumstances. It's not a great musical. Maybe it's a good choice for ENCORES1

by Anonymousreply 114May 13, 2023 12:21 PM

This definitely hurts Kimberly Akimbo the most. Last week their total gross was $412,000 and they really needed the publicity. If KA doesn't win Best Musical, they are closing a week after the Tonys (if presented non-televised on June 11th).

by Anonymousreply 115May 13, 2023 12:22 PM

Will the new Spiderwoman have Molina played by a Trans?

The show was built around Chita and it needs that type of performer to make it work. Flamboyant, exotic and mysterious is what Aurora needs to be.

by Anonymousreply 116May 13, 2023 12:39 PM

Saw Oliver! last night. A real nostalgia overdose for me, since I saw the pre-Broadway tour as a young teen. Seeing it again was great fun, but now there are so many questions about the show's flaws, particularly the tonal dysfunction between the gritty realism (prostitutes, thieves, child abuse, etc.) with the cheery, uptempo songs. So we fall in love with the adorable pickpockets but have to wonder what happens with them after Fagin urges them to flee his shelter. And then there's Nancy, beaten to death onstage. And why are the three couples we. meet early on are so horny for each other? But hey, it's a musical. Raul was on and shamelessly and delightfully mugged. The kid is great, as reported. The Nancy sings well in that same dime-a-dozen belt we hear all the time.. Had no idea who she was and then read she was Tony-nominated for Tootsie. Have no memory of that performance. Happy I saw it, but hope no one decides to move this for a longer run, unless they have money to burn.

by Anonymousreply 117May 13, 2023 12:42 PM

great, now get ready for the 400 pound ingenues and 5' leading men--theatre is a visual medium and casting choices are objective--this isn't really applicable.--but wait for the pitchforks, torches and tar and feathering to begin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118May 13, 2023 1:18 PM

Lizzo and Metz as Velma and Roxie!!! Kevin James is Billy Flynn!!

" Oh, I'm no one's wife, but, Oh, I love my life and aaaaaaall thaaaaat ..flaaab. That flab."

by Anonymousreply 119May 13, 2023 1:40 PM

How would you be able to claim discrimination--you can not get a role for any or no reason. Outside of someone specifically saying youre too fat to play Juliet-or too tall to play Boq

by Anonymousreply 120May 13, 2023 1:45 PM

Hey, a paycheck's a paycheck!

by Anonymousreply 121May 13, 2023 1:57 PM

Joe Mantello needs a paycheck? After 20 years of weekly payouts from every wicked company anywhere? and Laurie makes like 300k an episode for acting maybe 10 minutes a week on The Connors and not exactly breaking a sweat

by Anonymousreply 122May 13, 2023 2:05 PM

r101 And how'd that work out for them?

by Anonymousreply 123May 13, 2023 2:14 PM

[quote]The Tony Awards will NOT be televised

Just like The Revolution!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124May 13, 2023 2:15 PM

r102 Looks like "Message From a Nightingale."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125May 13, 2023 2:19 PM

Well I guess I don't have to stay up late on June 11.

by Anonymousreply 126May 13, 2023 3:27 PM

Can someone with more knowledge than me clarify something?

I understand why the Tony Awards are collateral damage in the strike, since they would be broadcast on a network and platform that the WGA are striking against. But since theater isn't governed by the WGA—but rather the Dramatists Guild since writers in theater in the US aren't employees—the strike shouldn't have any effect on theater (no pause for shows in development, etc) other than there being no Tony broadcast and the subsequent premature closing of some the shows that needed the broadcast.

Is that correct?

by Anonymousreply 127May 13, 2023 3:33 PM

Unions exist to even out economic inequity. Canceling the Tony’s furthers economic inequity, as will be seen when shows close and jobs are lost.

🤷🏽‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 128May 13, 2023 4:39 PM

The solution is simple: you don't want to close early and put everyone out of work? Make a better show, instead of the crap that you're doing. If you need to depend on Tony exposure to survive, your show is shit. Soon, the Tony broadcast will be littered with bought performances by all of the crappy shows who can't make it on their own. If you have talent, you will survive; otherwise, change careers.

by Anonymousreply 129May 13, 2023 6:30 PM

Forever pertinent to our interests

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130May 13, 2023 7:00 PM

Two carryovers from previous thread:

Isn't the Gavin-Met connection that one of his exes works there, or worked there when the article came out?

Hats off to the DL insider who tipped us off about the Tony broadcast issue last Wednesday. Mainstream news media confirmation didn't hit till Friday.

by Anonymousreply 131May 13, 2023 7:09 PM

Did anyone watch the "Great Performances" salute to Broadway last night?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132May 13, 2023 7:24 PM

It was mediocre, at best. Sutton doing a quicky turn of Anything Goes was fairly embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 133May 13, 2023 7:29 PM

Sutton Foster is an amazing case study in someone who was very talented for many years but then either took a voice lesson or something, that turned her into a less pleasant performer.

by Anonymousreply 134May 13, 2023 7:57 PM

The Great Performances seemed slapped together. It was nice to see all those stars, but the voices are getting old and warble-y.

Vanessa Williams’ Kiss of the Spider Woman sings reminded me what a stupid musical that is. The (non musical) movie is 100x better

by Anonymousreply 135May 13, 2023 7:57 PM

I agree with the *mediocre* assessment.

by Anonymousreply 136May 13, 2023 7:58 PM

[quote]Did anyone watch the "Great Performances" salute to Broadway last night?

Waaay too much Sutton Foster for my liking. And having her be the one to sing "Being Alive" at the end was a terrible choice, except for DL-ers looking for something to post on the "I Want to Be Underwhelmed" thread.

by Anonymousreply 137May 13, 2023 8:26 PM

please identify "Dimples" on the left, the one with the chestnut treasure trail peeking through!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138May 13, 2023 8:49 PM

non paywall link below

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139May 13, 2023 8:50 PM

[quote]great, now get ready for the 400 pound ingenues and 5' leading men

Works for me!

by Anonymousreply 140May 13, 2023 11:47 PM

Lea out tonite.

by Anonymousreply 141May 14, 2023 12:04 AM

[quote]Vanessa Williams’ Kiss of the Spider Woman sings reminded me what a stupid musical that is. The (non musical) movie is 100x better

But Vanessa looked GORGEOUS. She's really aging well.

by Anonymousreply 142May 14, 2023 12:32 AM

R142 yeah, 30 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 143May 14, 2023 1:35 AM

That Great Performances salute to Broadway would have been MUCH better served by them just opening up the vaults and showing highlight clips from actual Great Performances broadcasts. Cheaper, too, I’d guess, unless there are hideous rights and permissions issues. Were any of the numbers performed actually from shows presented on GP? (Anything Goes, London version, was, I think.)

What were Justin Guarini and Brian Williams (looking glum) doing in the house? Most of the rest of the audience looked like College Theatre Kids itching to either burst into tears or present jazz hands. And where was Charlie Williams? Currently in Hamilton, I know, but I guess he only dances on awards shows.

by Anonymousreply 144May 14, 2023 1:50 AM

I wasn't sure what the connection of these musicals where to GP.

Did GP broadcast them? Did GP just put out a request for all Bway singers to perform and the ones that responded got to sing from the shows they were in?

by Anonymousreply 145May 14, 2023 2:14 AM

Is there a song and performer list?

by Anonymousreply 146May 14, 2023 2:17 AM

Because...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147May 14, 2023 2:22 AM

[quote]Bandtsand Live: Liza Minnelli/The Allen Brothers & Dianne Warwick Excerpt

I never missed a Dianne Warwick appearance on Bandtsand!

by Anonymousreply 148May 14, 2023 2:25 AM

Aw, shucks! I wash so shad when I got the Oscar inshtead of Dianne. It chertaintly shoulda been a tie!

by Anonymousreply 149May 14, 2023 4:34 AM

Saw the first preview of Once Upon a One More Time, the Britney fairy tale musical, tonight. No surprise, the gays were out in full force. It was okay. Anyone who didn't like & Juliet will hate this. It was like a subpar version of that. It makes sense that they didn't bother trying to open this in time for Tony consideration since it's the kind of thing unlikely to have been nominated for anything. Not that a show can't be perfectly entertaining and not Tony caliber, but this was just okay. DL fave Ryan Steele is a cutie though and has a slightly bigger part than I expected, so that was nice.

by Anonymousreply 150May 14, 2023 5:36 AM

To follow up on my earlier post......what exactly is the truth about Betty Buckley? So much has been said or hinted at....

by Anonymousreply 151May 14, 2023 6:00 AM

R150 - seems like quite a gamble to open that show while & Juliet is still playing. Not to mention Moulin Rouge. I have to imagine all three of those shows will be competing for very similar, shrieking audiences.

by Anonymousreply 152May 14, 2023 6:08 AM

[quote] To follow up on my earlier post......what exactly is the truth about Betty Buckley? So much has been said or hinted at....

She’s definitely batshit crazy. She’s not well liked by her castmates. She has zero sense of humor. She has a sense of entitlement, no doubt because she got her first Broadway role five seconds after she landed in NYC (I think some actors resent her not having to pay her dues.)

by Anonymousreply 153May 14, 2023 11:54 AM

No one resents her for not having to pay her dues. She had an extraordinary voice and was astonishing on stage, until the voice was shot. She simply created a lot of off-stage drama in the 80s and 90s.

by Anonymousreply 154May 14, 2023 12:25 PM

Does Ryan Steele impress enough to break out of the chorus in the Britney show?

by Anonymousreply 155May 14, 2023 1:12 PM

Betty had a couple strikes against her.

1) Strike one: she always looked old. Even in the 80s during her hey-day. Part of the problem was that she ultra thin, part of the problem was unflattering hairdos.

2) strike two: she was a tough negotiator when it came to contracts. She lost roles/deals fell through that would have definitely added luster to her legend had she just accepted some of the deals.

3) she got fired from Into the Woods during the pre-Broadway workshop and that ruined her relationship with Sondheim. She tried for 30 years to fix that relationship, but Sondheim never go over that and wouldn’t hire her in productions she might have been well suited for in her later years.

4) she worked hard to make Gypsy happen, but Arthur Laurents hated her performance at Papermill and refused to let the production transfer.

5) she was notorious late to rehearsals/performances for reasons that have never been explained. She got in trouble for this as late as the Elegies William Finn show in 2003, and got ripped her a new asshole by the production team. By this time, she was starting to be past her prime.

6) she moved to Texas after 9/11 and that cut down on jobs.

by Anonymousreply 156May 14, 2023 1:28 PM

R155, he has a bit of a featured role in the show. Not a huge part and no solo, but he has plenty of lines and his own arc. It was instantly noticeable that he had a different costume than the other princes/chorus boys, so he did stand out from the rest.

by Anonymousreply 157May 14, 2023 1:43 PM

I suspect Betty was also ushered out of what eventually became known here as the Sally Field Programme because of said drama and difficulty mentioned above.

(She was originally cast as the matriarch of that show, but after a pilot had already been filmed, she was replaced by Sally.)

by Anonymousreply 158May 14, 2023 1:53 PM

R156. So, two of your complaints about her are actually about two asshole gays who cockblocked her so to speak. Got it… you put that all on her.

by Anonymousreply 159May 14, 2023 2:04 PM

[quote]This definitely hurts Kimberly Akimbo the most. Last week their total gross was $412,000 and they really needed the publicity. If KA doesn't win Best Musical, they are closing a week after the Tonys (if presented non-televised on June 11th).

What's the %? It's at The Booth not The Gershwin, not an easy feat to gross a million unless you have a Hugh Jackman in the lead

by Anonymousreply 160May 14, 2023 2:05 PM

I know people who have worked with Betty and they said while she can be a bit self centered and clueless she's never rude or mean and they liked her very much.

by Anonymousreply 161May 14, 2023 2:10 PM

When she was doing a play off Broadway a number of years ago, my friend and I were waiting for another cast member after. When Betty came out, she looked over and I smiled at her. She then presumed we were waiting for her and came rushing over and was lovely, though it seemed a bit odd, as if she thought she knew us.

by Anonymousreply 162May 14, 2023 3:16 PM

So she's no Alison Pill eh?

by Anonymousreply 163May 14, 2023 4:13 PM

Betty started to go batshit when she discovered her younger brother was fucking Timothy Scott, the original Mr. Mistoffelees in the Bway production of Cats. She hadn't known her brother Norman was gay. Norman moved in, took care of Tim when he contracted AIDS, and loved him til the end of his life.

by Anonymousreply 164May 14, 2023 4:14 PM

Alison Pill has FAS face.

by Anonymousreply 165May 14, 2023 4:14 PM

I'm pretty sure Betty got over that pretty quickly. She's no Laura Osnes.

by Anonymousreply 166May 14, 2023 4:15 PM

Betty is devoted to her mother and seems to be a semi regular on Law & Order. I follow her on Instagram and she seems happy.

by Anonymousreply 167May 14, 2023 5:07 PM

Steele can be seen in this video from last night's megamix/encore starting at roughly 2:25. His costume is burgundy/maroon, vs the grey ones the rest of the princes are wearing. They still all look like drum majors.

(I've seen a lot of online comments raving about this choreography...and I don't see what's so great about it.)

by Anonymousreply 168May 14, 2023 5:18 PM

[quote]Does Ryan Steele impress enough to break out of the chorus in the Britney show?

"Ryan Steele" sounds like the name of a gay porn star.

by Anonymousreply 169May 14, 2023 5:18 PM

Sorry. Here's the video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170May 14, 2023 5:18 PM

Oh dear. How about getting poor Jen Simard a dress she can walk in.

by Anonymousreply 171May 14, 2023 5:22 PM

Bad Britneystiltskin

by Anonymousreply 172May 14, 2023 5:51 PM

[Quote] Is there a song and performer list?

We are not your Google

by Anonymousreply 173May 14, 2023 6:04 PM

I tried Google and wasn't coming up with it, r173, but thank you ever so for your cuntitude.

by Anonymousreply 174May 14, 2023 7:06 PM

The list of performers on this article seems pretty complete, though it doesn't give songs:

[quote]Marking the 50th anniversary of the PBS series, the special concert was filmed at Lincoln Center's David H. Koch Theater March 23 with two-time Tony winner Sutton Foster hosting and performing a medley of songs she's performed on the Main Stem. The all-star line-up also includes Corbin Bleu, Donna McKechnie, Robyn Hurder, André De Shields, Sara Bareilles, Chita Rivera, Shoshana Bean, Raúl Esparza, James Monroe Iglehart, Ledisi, Norm Lewis, Rob McClure, Patina Miller, Brian Stokes Mitchell, Jessie Mueller, Mamie Parris, Solea Pfeiffer, Britton Smith, Jessica Vosk, and Vanessa Williams. The evening was staged by Warren Carlyle with Patrick Vaccariello serving as music director. The concert is written by Dave Boone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175May 14, 2023 7:37 PM

Thank you, r175.

by Anonymousreply 176May 14, 2023 7:39 PM

[quote]James Lapine will direct.

Talk about the kiss of death. I understand why he keeps directing revivals of the shows he wrote with Sondheim -- because he makes that a condition for the revivals to be produced. But why anyone would ever hire him again to direct any other show, given his horrific track record with directing non-Sondheim shows, is beyond my comprehension.

by Anonymousreply 177May 14, 2023 7:51 PM

You'd think that there would be more " seasoned" performers, since the show was celebrating 50 yrs.

by Anonymousreply 178May 14, 2023 7:52 PM

Why did Betty B get fired from INTO THE WOODS?

by Anonymousreply 179May 14, 2023 8:47 PM

She hit Sondheim in the head with a fondue pot.

by Anonymousreply 180May 14, 2023 8:49 PM

Lapine's wife is writing the libretto for the Nancy Drew project so it's something of a family affair.

But, yes, talk about an impending disaster......

by Anonymousreply 181May 14, 2023 10:01 PM

I refuse to see any show in which Lapine has any involvement. Period.

by Anonymousreply 182May 14, 2023 10:12 PM

Ryan has the cock and ass of a gay porn star. He shares them only with Charlie. And, of course, any stray Grindr-boy who's up for a threesome.

by Anonymousreply 183May 14, 2023 10:15 PM

While we’re rehashing drama can someone provide and executive summary on this Alison Pill story? I missed that thread completely.

by Anonymousreply 184May 14, 2023 11:25 PM

[quote] Why did Betty B get fired from INTO THE WOODS?

She demanded a freewheeling patio number.

by Anonymousreply 185May 14, 2023 11:27 PM

r184, at the risk of being accused of stealing the OP's story, it's 433 in thread #523:

[quote]Laurie appeared uncomfortable at the stage door during “Three Tall Women.” Not mean or anything and she did sign our playbills. But she wanted to get the fuck out of there and it showed. Glenda, on the other hand, stayed until the last fan had gotten a picture with her and/or received a signature. She was very warm.

[quote]Allison Pill had some stage manager come out to inform everyone that “Allison would not be signing playbills today” and we all just laughed like who the fuck cares, bitch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186May 14, 2023 11:30 PM

know, R184, you're thinking- all the fuss over this shittily titled threat for THAT story??

by Anonymousreply 187May 15, 2023 12:23 AM

Speaking of Laura Osnes, do you think she'll come back to Broadway, or does she want to? I think she lucked out with the reality show that turned into "Grease" but she put together a nice resume after.

by Anonymousreply 188May 15, 2023 12:33 AM

I'm sorry that Laura Osnes is an anti-vaxxer psychopath. Because she is genuinely talented and attractive and, up until all that, sounded like a nice person.

by Anonymousreply 189May 15, 2023 12:53 AM

Musical lovers who also read: name a novel or short story that should be adapted as a musical. Past or present, but English language, please.

by Anonymousreply 190May 15, 2023 1:03 AM

It's very, very odd, the way some people have decided Onses is just the worst of the worst. The world was in turmoil from covid and she didn't want to get vaccinated. Who the fuck cares? Focus on people who are actually abusive monsters. Or, don't.

by Anonymousreply 191May 15, 2023 1:08 AM

Osnes was never a nice person.

by Anonymousreply 192May 15, 2023 1:20 AM

[r191] it wasn’t just the vaccine. That was the a straw. She was starting to become a vocal republican on Twitter and getting into little fights with gay fans on social media about her Republican views.

She always played the “I’m not against gay people but still vote Republican” card, and people were starting to call her out that even if she personally wasn’t anti gay, the people she was voting for was!

by Anonymousreply 193May 15, 2023 1:23 AM

Good to know, R193.

So who are the other Repub/right-wing types hiding in NYC theatre? Or not hiding, perhaps.

by Anonymousreply 194May 15, 2023 1:25 AM

Short story:Paul’s Case by Willa Cather (chamber opera) Middlemarch by George Eliot (big 19th century with great characters).

by Anonymousreply 195May 15, 2023 1:27 AM

PS: we already know about Chad Kimball, David Mamet.

There's this mostly-nobody too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196May 15, 2023 1:30 AM

PAUL'S CASE is already a beautiful opera by Gregory Spears (of FELLOW TRAVELERS fame).

by Anonymousreply 197May 15, 2023 1:37 AM

I worked w Betty in the 80s. It was not pleasant.

by Anonymousreply 198May 15, 2023 4:11 AM

Why r198? Please share.

R180 that's the kind of silly stuff we really need to hit pause on, please. For YEARS all that's been posted on here about Betty is crazy jokey shit. Yeah, we can get back to that, but how's about we take a moment to actually just talk about the truth about her. Thanks, really.

I've always wondered about the 6 year period when she didn't work on Broadway after the Carrie disaster. It's easy to say the stink of the show hurt her reputation....but she was the best part of it....and if you're a beloved bankable star, fine maybe you wait 2 years, but then people clamor for you. Right?

....did Carrie just give people the excuse they needed to shun her professionally?

I can't imagine why Webber wouldn't go to her first to portray Norma Desmond, before LuPone even. She obviously had the incredible voice, but also the killer cheekbones and beauty queen looks and austere dramatic persona.

...which leads me to think there's more to the story than just "I was shunned because of Carrie" which seemed to be the narrative BB was going with to account for that period.

So I'm curious about the facts. Thanks r156 for that breakdown. How was she tough contract-wise? I mean...she signed on for Carrie! Even though she knew it was a dumpster fire.

by Anonymousreply 199May 15, 2023 7:21 AM

[quote]6) she moved to Texas after 9/11 and that cut down on jobs.

R156 she was returning home. She's originally from there.

[quote]Osnes was never a nice person.

For what it's worth, Laura Osnes was very nice to me the times I saw her on Broadway in 'Grease,' 'South Pacific,' 'Anything Goes,' 'Bonnie & Clyde,' 'Cinderella.'

I was not a major fan, but I was seeing a lot of Broadway in the late 2000s/early 2010s. I had made some theater friends in my twenties, and it became our thing for a few years.

I just realized I haven't been back to NY in like a decade. 😲

by Anonymousreply 200May 15, 2023 9:10 AM

R200, you’ve missed nothing in that decade.

by Anonymousreply 201May 15, 2023 9:17 AM

[quote] I've always wondered about the 6 year period when she didn't work on Broadway after the Carrie disaster.

During that time period, what roles do you think she could have played?

Maybe she could have done “Aspects of Love.” She wasn’t the right type for “Anything Goes.” Would she have accepted Sarah in “Guys & Dolls?” Sondheim wasn’t going to consider her for “Passion.” Maybe she could have replaced in “Master Class” but the lead doesn’t sing in that. Linder Eder already had “Jekyll & Hyde” locked down. The wife in “Miss Saigon” was too small of a role. She could have played the wife in “Parade.” There just aren’t enough roles, especially in that immediate post-Carrie time period, that she could play.

by Anonymousreply 202May 15, 2023 10:35 AM

[quote]Ryan has the cock and ass of a gay porn star. He shares them only with Charlie. And, of course, any stray Grindr-boy who's up for a threesome.

...and YouTube

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203May 15, 2023 10:52 AM

That "Once Upon a One More Time" Megamix was a disaster. Looks they threw it together that afternoon. Justin Guarini almost fell on his ass slipping on something just walking out for his bow.

by Anonymousreply 204May 15, 2023 11:10 AM

Smegma can be treacherous.

by Anonymousreply 205May 15, 2023 11:21 AM

Whether she was nice to her fans at the stage door is not the measure of what kind of person she is. But I'm so happy she was nice to you and your theater friends after Grease.

by Anonymousreply 206May 15, 2023 11:21 AM

Personally, I don't give a fuck about Buckley's personality. In her prime her voice was glorious.

by Anonymousreply 207May 15, 2023 11:31 AM

I was surprised that an actor of Adam Godley's stature was appearing in the Britney musical, but then I read that his husband is the book writer.

So good for them, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 208May 15, 2023 11:35 AM

R206 I like to say her name. Laura Osnes. It is such fun.

by Anonymousreply 209May 15, 2023 11:35 AM

I knew a fan who took a class with her. He was still starstruck but disappointed. All he would say was “Betty is mean.”

by Anonymousreply 210May 15, 2023 11:41 AM

[quote][R206] I like to say her name. Laura Osnes. It is such fun.

[quote]—say it

I will not, r209.

by Anonymousreply 211May 15, 2023 11:44 AM

Whose Allison Pill?

by Anonymousreply 212May 15, 2023 11:53 AM

[quote]I knew a fan who took a class with her. He was still starstruck but disappointed. All he would say was “Betty is mean.”

That could mean a thousand things. People treat celebrities as if they aren't human. It could have meant as a teacher she was serious and professional and not acting like their best friend. Rosie has told stories of how she would be in the mall with her family and people would actually approach her to see if she was OK because she wasn't smiling. Like WTF she's supposed t walk around in life with a big smile planted on her face.

by Anonymousreply 213May 15, 2023 11:56 AM

Adam Godley had a great role on last night's Succession.

by Anonymousreply 214May 15, 2023 12:15 PM

Rosie shouldn't go to the mall if she's not in a smiling mood.

by Anonymousreply 215May 15, 2023 12:30 PM

The PBS Broadway salute-sort of a missed opportunity. Too many boring/obvious musical choices-and most had nothing to do with Great Performances. I love Chita as much as anyone and she's remarkable even at 90-but its becoming almost cruel to have her continue to perform in public-she cant sing/cant move--allow the woman the dignity she deserves. Ditto Andre de Shields-unnecessary to watch him have to sing a song he can no longer handle (paging Stephanie Mill instead?). Raul-God bless him for learning all those lyrics, but you dont exactly hire Raul for charm (cause it's gonna read as smarm). Although I never need to hear another song from Phantom ever, Norm was in spectacular voice. Initially, I thought the Jelly's number should have gone to Jared Grimes but Corbin Bleu was excellent. Vanessa Willimas-looks great-kind of is and always was a marginal singer. Too much Sutton-the woman has skills but not the biggest fan-and she always gets this expression on her face when she's singing like she's smelling her own farts

by Anonymousreply 216May 15, 2023 1:07 PM

Wait, R200, you buried the lede!

How much time did you spend with Osnes? Was it a meal? A party? A walk to the corner? What was your connection to her that you spent time with her on each of those occassions?

by Anonymousreply 217May 15, 2023 1:19 PM

[quote] Whose Allison Pill?

[bold]Our[/bold] Allison Pill

by Anonymousreply 218May 15, 2023 1:25 PM

re: Osnes-there are 50 new equally or more talented pretty white blonde sopranos every year-and none of them are getting any work either

by Anonymousreply 219May 15, 2023 1:25 PM

so, if I'm understanding this correctly then, Allison is a pill.

by Anonymousreply 220May 15, 2023 1:26 PM

[quote]Whose Allison Pill?

Mr. and Mrs. Pill's

by Anonymousreply 221May 15, 2023 1:46 PM

BEARKING NEWS: MJ RECOUPS!

In other news, water is wet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222May 15, 2023 2:00 PM

Here's a 100 percent true story about bad Betty Buckley behavior, which I have told before. As we all know, and as she has reminded us over and over again, Betty got her first part in a Broadway show --1776 -- immediately after arriving in New York. Years later, she was interviewed about her career as an acting teacher for BACK STAGE newspaper. At one point, the interviewer asked her something like: "What might you have to say to talented people who work very hard to have an acting career but haven't yet succeeded?" And, believe it or not, Betty replied something to the effect that she believed those people didn't REALLY want it enough -- "it" being an acting career. So in other words, rather than blaming a lack of success on tough competition, bad timing, bad luck, etc., etc., she made it all about a deficiency in the actor. Apparently, in her mind, she got that part in 1776, and all the other parts she got, because she REALLY wanted them, whereas the other people who were up for the roles did not.

That interview alone was reason enough for me to decide that Betty was crazy and not a nice woman. P.S. A friend of mine wrote a letter to BACK STAGE criticizing Betty for her remarks in that interview, and guess what? Betty claimed she had been misquoted. To which the author of the interview replied, "I have the tapes."

by Anonymousreply 223May 15, 2023 2:02 PM

Lynn Nottage is a sanctimonious twat

by Anonymousreply 224May 15, 2023 2:12 PM

I am still deeply weirded out that there even IS an MJ musical.

by Anonymousreply 225May 15, 2023 2:13 PM

Has anyone here seen MJ? Any good?

by Anonymousreply 226May 15, 2023 2:16 PM

You fucking bitches! Night after night I was bombarded with selfie and autograph requests at the stage door and one night - ONE FUCKING NIGHT! - I just couldn't take it anymore and THOUGHT ENOUGH OF MY FANS to inform them.

And now you treacherous bitches won't shut up about it!!

I HAVE FANS. I was in Pieces of April, motherfuckers!!

by Anonymousreply 227May 15, 2023 2:42 PM

Happy 83rd birthday, DL fave and showbiz footnote Lainie Kazan!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228May 15, 2023 3:00 PM

Oh dear

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229May 15, 2023 4:04 PM

[quote] Broadway's Prima Facie to Be Adapted for the Big Screen Starring Tony Winner Cynthia Erivo

Nobody is going to want to look at THAT facie for 2 hours on a big screen.

by Anonymousreply 230May 15, 2023 4:06 PM

Expanding that play will lead to a huge box office bomb, not to mention no one will give a shit about that character with Erivo playing it.

by Anonymousreply 231May 15, 2023 4:22 PM

[quote]I was surprised that an actor of Adam Godley's stature was appearing in the Britney musical, but then I read that his husband is the book writer.

That's showbiz, baby!!

by Anonymousreply 232May 15, 2023 4:25 PM

Why the heck didn't they ask Comer to do it?? She already has an Emmy and will likely win the Tony

by Anonymousreply 233May 15, 2023 4:25 PM

Not getting to do the movie is a big slap to Comer.

by Anonymousreply 234May 15, 2023 4:31 PM

I'm sure Erivo will demand the actor playing her rapist be White.

by Anonymousreply 235May 15, 2023 4:40 PM

The PRIMA FACIE film producers are clearly banking on the WICKED movies (both of em) making Cynthia Errivo a huge, bankable, recognizable name.

Which she currently is NOT. Her HARRIET movie was a B.O. disappointment. She's actually been doing a lot of TV and film, but it hasn't seemed to raise her profile.

Good luck with this one.

by Anonymousreply 236May 15, 2023 4:43 PM

I don't at all understand casting Erivo. She has no fan base. She's never made a hit movie or a hit TV series. If they are banking on Wicked to up her profile, then yes it will, but who the fuck do they think is going to go see her in an adult court drama because they enjoyed her as a green-faced witch? Not a lot of 11 year old girls with self-esteem issues go to those kinds of films.

And Comer has a way bigger fan base than Erivo, between Killing Eve and Dr. Who. Plus, she originated the role, won awards for it and it's a chance to capture that performance on film for everyone who didn't get a chance to see it. Maybe they think because the National Theater filmed it live that that's sufficient, but it's not. People want to see the performance that everyone has been talking about. Not some gap toothed harpy that has been shoved down our throats for the better part of a decade, and to whom we have said NO over and over.

by Anonymousreply 237May 15, 2023 4:48 PM

[QUOTE] You fucking bitches! Night after night I was bombarded with selfie and autograph requests at the stage door and one night - ONE FUCKING NIGHT! - I just couldn't take it anymore and THOUGHT ENOUGH OF MY FANS to inform them.

It was a matinee, Alison…

by Anonymousreply 238May 15, 2023 4:50 PM

[quote] Personally, I don't give a fuck about Buckley's personality. In her prime her voice was glorious.

Glorious if you like metallic voices with no warmth. Don’t mistake being able to belt for a beautiful sounding voice.

by Anonymousreply 239May 15, 2023 4:54 PM

[quote]Broadway's Prima Facie to Be Adapted for the Big Screen Starring Tony Winner Cynthia Erivo

If only today's date were April 1.....

by Anonymousreply 240May 15, 2023 5:08 PM

It's Broadway. Buckley's voice was perfect for purpose. And it was indeed beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 241May 15, 2023 5:10 PM

I've seen the NT Live film of Prima Facie. I sure won't be seeing a film version with a racist bitch.

by Anonymousreply 242May 15, 2023 5:15 PM

Tony Awards Path Still Undetermined Following Committee Meeting Today And Last-Ditch Efforts For WGA Strike Waiver:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243May 15, 2023 6:06 PM

Was Jodie Comer unavailable?

by Anonymousreply 244May 15, 2023 6:18 PM

[quote]Rosie shouldn't go to the mall if she's not in a smiling mood.

Does anyone still go . . . to a mall?

by Anonymousreply 245May 15, 2023 6:19 PM

Elaine once walked up to an Orange Julius stand and screamed at the counter person- I NEED A REFRIGERATOR FOR MY INSULIN!

He popped it into a cold cup of Strawberry Julius while she went into Anne Klein and shopped for tights.

by Anonymousreply 246May 15, 2023 6:25 PM

Forget the Tonys! The big Rialto gossip of the day is the major new musical that sent out many emails and calls over the weekend to get the money to keep it going. It's a tough time right now...

by Anonymousreply 247May 15, 2023 6:40 PM

Fachia Brute

by Anonymousreply 248May 15, 2023 7:14 PM

Can you give a hint, R247?

by Anonymousreply 249May 15, 2023 8:00 PM

"Harmony"?

by Anonymousreply 250May 15, 2023 8:24 PM

The reference was to a "major new musical that sent out many emails and calls over the weekend to get the money to keep it going." That certainly makes it sound like the show is already up and running, so I doubt it's HARMONY.

by Anonymousreply 251May 15, 2023 8:44 PM

The Neil Diamond musical?

by Anonymousreply 252May 15, 2023 8:47 PM

My gut tells me it's New York, New York.

by Anonymousreply 253May 15, 2023 8:53 PM

I think your gut knows what it’s talking about, r253.

by Anonymousreply 254May 15, 2023 8:56 PM

I wonder if Emily Skinner is kicking herself for dropping out of the Britney musical to do NYNY?

by Anonymousreply 255May 15, 2023 8:58 PM

r247, that could literally refer to any new musical that opened this season. I'd bet that &Juliet, even if it's doing best of all of them, still worries about bleak summer sales, especially without that Tony telecast boost.

by Anonymousreply 256May 15, 2023 9:25 PM

It's NY NY. Gone by Labor Day.

by Anonymousreply 257May 15, 2023 9:29 PM

New York, Ny is shite

by Anonymousreply 258May 15, 2023 10:47 PM

Could make it there, r258?

by Anonymousreply 259May 15, 2023 10:53 PM

How long will Me & Juliet last?

by Anonymousreply 260May 15, 2023 11:28 PM

This situation reminds me of when Cynthia Nixon was replaced by Nicole Kidman in Rabbit Hole. Cynthia Nixon was famous and an Emmy winner for SATC and won the Tony for the role and was STILL passed over in favor of Nicole Kidman

by Anonymousreply 261May 15, 2023 11:33 PM

[quote] This situation reminds me of when Cynthia Nixon was replaced by Nicole Kidman in Rabbit Hole. Cynthia Nixon was famous and an Emmy winner for SATC and won the Tony for the role and was STILL passed over in favor of Nicole Kidman

Except that Nicole Kidman was an actual MOVIE STAR.

by Anonymousreply 262May 15, 2023 11:36 PM

I was in fucking Amadeus

by Anonymousreply 263May 15, 2023 11:43 PM

Nicole Kidman has coasted off of being Mrs. Tom Cruise for how many decades now? And, hasn't had any kind of BO success since then.

Yet, she's still considered a "Movie Star".

The irony is, she can't sell any more movie tickets than Cynthia Nixon.

by Anonymousreply 264May 15, 2023 11:49 PM

Ken Waissman who produced the stage version of "Grease" said that an agent was begging them to hire Michael Bennett to direct it. Since "Grease" was 1972, that means Bennett had choreographed "Promises, Promises", "Company" and choreographed and co-directed "Follies". They passed on him and got Tom Moore (his first break) and Patricia Birch. I find it inconceivable Bennett would have been bypassed unless it was for money, and the explanation was that he wasn't capable of giving the show a ragged edge. The question becomes how Bennett would have reshaped the rough original Broadway production.

by Anonymousreply 265May 16, 2023 12:21 AM

SOME LIKE IT HOT is looking for money. Cynthia Orivo's company is producing PRIMA FACIE.

by Anonymousreply 266May 16, 2023 12:52 AM

[quote]How long will Me & Juliet last?

It ran for 358 performances in 1953-54, so I guess you have your answer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267May 16, 2023 12:53 AM

I loathe MASTER CLASS, but Buckley might well have been superb in it. I also think that she could have been an intriguing, if very different, way to go with KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN, if the part were reconceived without dancing.

by Anonymousreply 268May 16, 2023 1:03 AM

And while I dislike this sort of thought, Buckley's saying that performers might not get things because they don't want them enough isn't so different from the "beliefs" that made THE SECRET wildly popular.

by Anonymousreply 269May 16, 2023 1:07 AM

Roles for Betty Buckley circa 1990-2003

1990. Rose - Gypsy

1994. Fosca - Passion

1995. Norma - Sunset Boulevard (did play)

1996 Parthy - Show Boat / Matron Mama Morton - Chicago

1997. Anna- The King and I / Victoria - Victor Victoria

1998. Rose - Gypsy Papermill (did play)

2001 Dorothy Brock - 42nd street / Phyllis Stone - Follies

2002. Mrs Meers- Thoroughly Modern Millie

by Anonymousreply 270May 16, 2023 1:16 AM

Betty would have been an interesting Vera in Pal Joey.

by Anonymousreply 271May 16, 2023 1:35 AM

Does anybody really like Pal Joey?

by Anonymousreply 272May 16, 2023 1:53 AM

The Tonys are back on:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273May 16, 2023 2:08 AM

Okay....

by Anonymousreply 274May 16, 2023 2:13 AM

So WGA won't picket. But that doesn't mean the Tonys are back on, as a televised event.

by Anonymousreply 275May 16, 2023 2:23 AM

too bad. the only good thing that can come from a Tonys telecast is the further humiliation of Ariana DeBose. But is that worth ti?

by Anonymousreply 276May 16, 2023 2:24 AM

I told ya queens they would waive the Tonys.

Money always talks

by Anonymousreply 277May 16, 2023 2:40 AM

R275, they just say it will proceed as scheduled "in an altered form":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278May 16, 2023 2:41 AM

Hopefully, that "altered form" means no banter and silly skits.

by Anonymousreply 279May 16, 2023 2:52 AM

No closing rap from NPH.

by Anonymousreply 280May 16, 2023 2:53 AM

The freewheeling patio number's back in!

by Anonymousreply 281May 16, 2023 2:53 AM

"Just to show you how important writers truly are, we are going to make up all our quips and witty banter ourselves tonight! By the end of evening, I think you will be willing to pay them whatever they ask! And now on with the show! Please welcome Areola DuBose who will make up a rap number on the spot!"

by Anonymousreply 282May 16, 2023 3:17 AM

Did everyone involved in NYNY only give it one weekend worth of thought? The whole production felt like a homework assignment turned in at the last minute. There isn't even a story, really.

How Lin-Manuel thought that this was something he could put his name on when it was in this kind of condition is beyond me.

Emily Skinner is just WASTED in this.

by Anonymousreply 283May 16, 2023 4:26 AM

If Tony producers are smart, they'll put extra performances in to fill up the time. Get someone to sing something from Phantom as a farewell. Do some tributes, invite some luminaries up to perform. Make it more of a concert.

by Anonymousreply 284May 16, 2023 4:28 AM

The show needs diva's. Bring in Patti, Betty and Bernie.

by Anonymousreply 285May 16, 2023 4:49 AM

[R264] I hear you.

Would it have killed for casting to have let Cynthia Nixon reprise her role in “Rabbit Hole” for the big screen? It’s “Rabbit Hole” for crying out loud. It’s not some movie that was going to gross half of a billion dollars at the box office anyway.

I have nothing against Nicole Kidman personally, but I’m getting sick and tired of seeing her cast in every other movie. Look, I get it. Actors have to eat too and need a paycheck just like everyone else. But would it kill casting people to not be so damn lazy and stop casting the same actor in every movie? There are hundreds and hundreds of actors out there that would greatly benefit being cast in a high-profile project now and then. A little more diversity in casting projects, I feel, would go a long, long way.

One wonders why the film industry feels like it’s in the shi**er.

by Anonymousreply 286May 16, 2023 5:52 AM

I think it’s super tacky of Cynthia Erivo to make this announcement while Jodie Comer is still on Broadway and in contention for a Tony award. I mean, it’s a limited run, she couldn’t wait another five weeks?

Maybe for the film they should put her on trial for her crimes against Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet? Make her answer for that. I’m tired of her sabotaging other people’s opportunities. I mean nobody is going to go see this film because who would want to be trapped in a cinema for two hours with Cynthia Erivo?

I hope when Wicked comes out, Idina speaks out about how awful her performance is and goes on every tv show incl. Drew Barrymore, Kelly Clarkson and whomever replaces Wendy Williams, even Tucker Carlson’s low-rated, subscriber only Twitter channel, and sings Defying Gravity.

by Anonymousreply 287May 16, 2023 7:33 AM

Butty Buckley would’ve been great in Ann Reinking’s part in Dancin’, as long as they took out the dancing.

by Anonymousreply 288May 16, 2023 7:34 AM

Cynthia Erivo also stole Julia Roberts’ Oscar nomination for Harriet.

by Anonymousreply 289May 16, 2023 7:36 AM

Remember when the "free wheeling patio number" jokes were funny?

by Anonymousreply 290May 16, 2023 8:01 AM

Cynthia's version of Midnight Train To Georgia proves she has a career in the recording industry as long as she doesn't try any R&B songs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291May 16, 2023 8:31 AM

What are our thoughts on the Wicked movie?

Hit or miss?

It has things going against it. A questionable director and the decision to turn it into two films.

And, how many people are really excited about that casting? Erivo isn't much of name (and she looks too old for the part...she projects thirtysomething pushing at 40 not believable college student). And, Ariana Grande seems like a low rent choice for Glinda. Too trashy and common.

But, Wicked has a shit ton of fans....at the very least, it should open decently. If it doesn't, it's doomed.

by Anonymousreply 292May 16, 2023 8:53 AM

[quote]I loathe MASTER CLASS, but Buckley might well have been superb in it. I

But the play itself is shite, like so much of McNally's plays, so who cares?

[quote]While I dislike this sort of thought, Buckley's saying that performers might not get things because they don't want them enough isn't so different from the "beliefs" that made THE SECRET wildly popular.

Exactly, and I hate, loathe, and despise "The Secret" as well.

by Anonymousreply 293May 16, 2023 11:06 AM

R286, you and I might be the same person as far as our feelings about Nicole Kidman are concerned. I said exactly the same thing you did when Nicole was cast over Cynthia Nixon in the movie of RABBIT HOLE -- and, for that matter, when John Slattery was passed over as well. What a pig Nicole is when it comes to playing EVERY ROLE she can get her hands on.

by Anonymousreply 294May 16, 2023 11:10 AM

Apparently the new Tony waiver can proceed only on the condition that the program never shows David Stone on camera

by Anonymousreply 295May 16, 2023 11:37 AM

Well, they shouldn’t wait too long to release Wicked, Part 2 or it’ll probably debut on a streamer. Believe me, I know.

by Anonymousreply 296May 16, 2023 12:37 PM

I’m not sure how much cinema goers are going to enjoy close ups of Cynthia Erivo singing.

by Anonymousreply 297May 16, 2023 12:39 PM

I hope Cynthia takes the Ferdinand the all nose ring out before the start of filming.

by Anonymousreply 298May 16, 2023 12:42 PM

Butty Buckley? I thought she liked the dick, not the butt.

by Anonymousreply 299May 16, 2023 12:43 PM

[quote]Do some tributes, invite some luminaries up to perform.

I'm available!

by Anonymousreply 300May 16, 2023 2:15 PM

Don't forget, the director of the "Rabbit Hole" movie was John Cameron Mitchell. I'm fairly certain he would have loved Cynthia and John to play with, but was forced by the exec producer (Nicole) to use Nicole and Aaron.

by Anonymousreply 301May 16, 2023 2:41 PM

Erivo is just terrible singing Midnite Train. Holy fuck.

by Anonymousreply 302May 16, 2023 2:58 PM

I don't think she's terrible, R302, just a bit bland.

by Anonymousreply 303May 16, 2023 3:27 PM

Maybe she should have sung "Knock Three Times" and used the nose ring to comic effect.

by Anonymousreply 304May 16, 2023 3:29 PM

[quote] the director of the "Rabbit Hole" movie was John Cameron Mitchell. I'm fairly certain he would have loved Cynthia and John to play with, but was forced by the exec producer (Nicole) to use Nicole and Aaron.

Unless he called you up and discussed it with you personally, you aren’t fairly certain about anything. In reality, he found it refreshing working with seasoned pros.

“ Nicole Kidman was perfect casting for this role. She was developing it, so I knew she would protect it. I reached out to her producer, who wanted to do Hedwig years ago, when he was with Robert Redford’s company. He loved the idea, he thought it was unexpected, and that with, as he put it, “a warmer director working with a cooler script”,

by Anonymousreply 305May 16, 2023 3:56 PM

Nicole Kidman IS a movie star. And if Cynthia Nixon had done Rabbit Hole it probably would never have been made and/or garnered as much attention as her Emily Dickinson movie.

At least Nicole Kidman didn’t announce during Cynthia’s Tony Award campaign that she would be starring in the movie. I don’t think Roz Russell did this to Ethel Merman either.

As it’s been said, Cynthia Erivo is obviously a tacky, self-involved narcissist with zero regard for others. Just wait until you see her with a barrister’s wig on.

by Anonymousreply 306May 16, 2023 4:34 PM

Cynthia Erivo doing "Prima.." is a joke. She is an average actress at best, and she sank both Aretha and Harriet Tubman with her lack of energy and sullen face. Saw her in "the Color Purple" on Broadway and she was thrilling. On film, you lose too much. Expect a very angry, sullen Elphaba.

by Anonymousreply 307May 16, 2023 4:41 PM

Erivo's Holly Gibney in "The Outsider" was the perfect role for her. A charmless freak with a manipulative mind.

by Anonymousreply 308May 16, 2023 4:48 PM

[QUOTE] Nicole Kidman IS a movie star. And if Cynthia Nixon had done Rabbit Hole it probably would never have been made and/or garnered as much attention as her Emily Dickinson movie.

Cynthia Nixon deserved an Oscar nomination for playing Emily Dickinson in A QUIET PASSION. She was magnificent.

by Anonymousreply 309May 16, 2023 4:53 PM

Thank god they didn’t give Cynthia Erivo the role of Celie in the upcoming musical film version of The Color Purple.

by Anonymousreply 310May 16, 2023 4:55 PM

Drama with the outer critics circle awards on Twitter and the chat rooms. Only one Cis-female won an acting award (which is exactly what we said would happen)

The Tonys better think about this before jumping on board

by Anonymousreply 311May 16, 2023 5:25 PM

A Quiet Passion was a snore of a movie. Terence Davies ought to figure out a way to bottle his films to be used for compassionate euthanasia.

by Anonymousreply 312May 16, 2023 5:26 PM

R311, actually Lindsay Mendez and Jodie Comer (both cisgender women) won acting awards but you still have a point.

by Anonymousreply 313May 16, 2023 5:40 PM

[quote] both women

Fixed that for you, R313

by Anonymousreply 314May 16, 2023 6:06 PM

As much as I've tried to warm to her over the years, Betty isn't a very appealing actress on stage. She comes across as strident and humorless even with her magnificent voice. She plays everything as if she's seconds away from sobbing or having a nervous breakdown. She can nail the musical part of a musical comedy, but never the comedy. It's the main reason why her Rose in Gypsy was so underwhelming. She was one note without any humor or warmth to balance out all the crazy. That can work for Norma in Sunset Boulevard, which is probably her greatest triumph on stage, but it makes her a poor fit for most of the classical musical comedy roles. In her prime, she could probably sing something like Annie Get Your Gun or Anything Goes better than anyone, but she wouldn't have been able to land the comedy. Her other contemporaries like Bernadette Peters or Patti LuPone have more of a sense of humor.

She comes across much better in TV/film. She has a warmth there that doesn't make it past the footlights.

by Anonymousreply 315May 16, 2023 6:13 PM

Although her voice was not what it was, Betty was Merely Competent in the Hello, Dolly! tour. She knew her lines and blocking but brought nothing to the role. So instead of a star performance the audience got the pleasure of seeing a beautifully constructed musical that has nothing more on its mind than to entertain.

by Anonymousreply 316May 16, 2023 6:20 PM

"Strident and humorless" worked very well for her in THE TRIUMPH OF LOVE. It was a bomb of a show, but Betty was stupendous.

by Anonymousreply 317May 16, 2023 7:10 PM

Nicole Kidman's presence almost always guarantees the movie will flop. She's almost up there with Sharon Stone and Halle Berry.

All producers should avoid Kidman and her distractingly tight face

It's likely, however, that Rabbit Hole wouldn't haven't even gotten the funding to be a movie without Kidman. It might be the same with Erivo and Prima. Hollywood thinks Erivo is a bankable star.

by Anonymousreply 318May 16, 2023 7:13 PM

Yes, r317, she was. She also was quite charming in Drood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319May 16, 2023 7:21 PM

Betty in Gyspy at Papermill--she was too old/matronly, sexless, humorless-but she sang the hell out of Roses Turn (when she said at the end that she was going to open an acting school for girls-people cried out, "No!!!--ok, that was me!)

by Anonymousreply 320May 16, 2023 7:46 PM

start popping the popcorn because if this Tony broadcast goes off as scheduled its gonna be weird

by Anonymousreply 321May 16, 2023 7:50 PM

Tonys to Move Forward With Unscripted, Televised Broadcast Amid Writers Strike:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 322May 16, 2023 7:56 PM

maybe they can give shows more than 2 minutes and 10 seconds now for their numbers.

by Anonymousreply 323May 16, 2023 8:08 PM

[quote]Hollywood thinks Erivo is a bankable star.

More like they've been trying to make her one for the past 5 years, but the public won't bite.

They won't get the picture.

by Anonymousreply 324May 16, 2023 8:10 PM

Six out of fourteen paragraphs about Lin-Manuel Miranda, the kudzu of Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 325May 16, 2023 8:10 PM

"Tonys to Move Forward With Unscripted Broadcast"

This can only help me.

by Anonymousreply 326May 16, 2023 8:12 PM

This will end in more tears than ever before. The DL watch thread should be gold!

by Anonymousreply 327May 16, 2023 8:15 PM

now all 175 producers of Kimberly Akimbo can gibe a speech!

by Anonymousreply 328May 16, 2023 8:15 PM

‘Sweeney Todd’, ‘Shucked’, ‘Some Like It Hot’ See Box Office Gains After Tony Noms:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329May 16, 2023 8:21 PM

how about re-creating past Tony performances--Christine Ebersole in the 15 minute sequence from "Coco"!

by Anonymousreply 330May 16, 2023 8:29 PM

[quote]Apparently the new Tony waiver can proceed only on the condition that the program never shows David Stone on camera

Is this a joke? PLEASE tell me it’s not a joke!

by Anonymousreply 331May 16, 2023 8:33 PM

Jesus, those box office "boosts" listed at R329 are embarrassing. $92K more for Shucked? They think that's CONSIDERABLE?

by Anonymousreply 332May 16, 2023 8:34 PM

thew boosts in most cases are still probably just at or below break even

by Anonymousreply 333May 16, 2023 8:35 PM

Who is David Stone?

by Anonymousreply 334May 16, 2023 8:58 PM

Lea out with COVID until next Tuesday.

by Anonymousreply 335May 16, 2023 8:59 PM

2 out of 9 performance awards.

by Anonymousreply 336May 16, 2023 9:10 PM

Brilliant, r325.

by Anonymousreply 337May 16, 2023 10:40 PM

The Wiz is going in to the Music Box, not the Imperial, which means the rumors about mini-Phantom going into the Imp may be accurate.

by Anonymousreply 338May 17, 2023 1:03 AM

I just saw Grey House.

Can someone else who saw it please tell me what the hell it was about?

by Anonymousreply 339May 17, 2023 2:30 AM

Why didn't they bring Virginia Woolf back for Laurie? Even if they had to recast the other roles.

by Anonymousreply 340May 17, 2023 2:37 AM

Va Woolf may still be tied up in rights with Scott Whatshisname.

by Anonymousreply 341May 17, 2023 2:42 AM

Cynthia Erivo's recent movie "Luther" is the most streamed movie of the past year on Netflix, even getting more streams than the hyped Murder Mystery 2 with Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston.

She's going to complete her EGOT with either Wicked or Prima Facie. It's already circulating in Hollywood that Cynthia and Ariana are "phenomenal" in Wicked, so she may win the Oscar for that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 342May 17, 2023 3:01 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343May 17, 2023 3:02 AM

Matthew Belloni, of the influential Hollywood podcast The Town, predicts Wicked with be top 3 biggest movie of 2024 after the CinemaCon preview 💚🫧

"I think people may have underestimated how big that movie is going to be, and it is going to be gigantic"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344May 17, 2023 3:03 AM

Luther?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 345May 17, 2023 3:04 AM

Luther? Well, was she also in "Nobody Loves an Albatross" as well??

by Anonymousreply 346May 17, 2023 3:09 AM

More reactions from the Wicked CinemaCon presentation 💚🫧

"As somebody who couldn't give a crap about this movie an hour and ten minutes ago, I am DYING to watch this movie now"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347May 17, 2023 3:15 AM

I laughed...I cried...

by Anonymousreply 348May 17, 2023 3:17 AM

This video about the Wicked presentation at CinemaCon gives me goosebumps.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 349May 17, 2023 3:20 AM

That's what they were all saying about In the Heights.

by Anonymousreply 350May 17, 2023 3:20 AM

Apparently, Ariana and Cynthia sing the HELL out of the score. Ariana supposedly takes Glinda's songs higher than any of the Broadway Glindas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351May 17, 2023 3:22 AM

Ariana doesn't have to sing the score eight times a week.

by Anonymousreply 352May 17, 2023 3:26 AM

None of the Broadway Glindas can hit an E6 like Ariana does in the movie, which she does live on set. And they are filming every musical scene both with prerecorded and LIVE vocals. Stephen Schwartz said they can then mix recorded and live vocals during editing if they so wish.

by Anonymousreply 353May 17, 2023 3:32 AM

Who let "Wicked's" publicist in?

by Anonymousreply 354May 17, 2023 3:50 AM

R354, that's exactly what I was about to ask, though I was going to guess obsessed stan instead of publicist. Yours makes more sense.

by Anonymousreply 355May 17, 2023 3:53 AM

The nasty bigotry as to Cynthia in this thread = layer upon layer of shit that has nothing to do with the merits (or lack there of) of her work.

Way too many assholes working this board, and a grease fire awaits your group.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 356May 17, 2023 4:01 AM

Kristin Chenoweth could certainly hit the E above high C when she played Galinda, R353, and I doubt that she was the only one.

by Anonymousreply 357May 17, 2023 4:04 AM

[quote] Cynthia Erivo's recent movie "Luther" is the most streamed movie of the past year on Netflix, even getting more streams than the hyped Murder Mystery 2 with Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston.

I think you mean Idris Elba's movie "Luther," dear. Cynthia was in it, but no one even knew that.

And it's far from the most streamed this year on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 358May 17, 2023 4:20 AM

Anyone read Cheets book yet? Ringo Starr tried to get her into bed, Ann Reinking lacked "softness", Sammy Davis Jr tried to give her his glass eye, dropping acid with friends, bedding hunky Gus Trikonis during Bajour, house parties with Judy Garland....and a whole chapter about The Fucking Visit!

by Anonymousreply 359May 17, 2023 4:23 AM

Erivo's PR wags have infiltrated this thread. Calling "Luther" her movie is absurd! It's a movie of an existing piece of popular Netflix/British television IP.

by Anonymousreply 360May 17, 2023 4:24 AM

Well, this thread confirms it. Wicked is gonna be a turkey.

by Anonymousreply 361May 17, 2023 4:26 AM

Gobble, gobble!

by Anonymousreply 362May 17, 2023 4:30 AM

So which show is calling around for money?

by Anonymousreply 363May 17, 2023 4:42 AM

[quote]Luther?

Yes?

by Anonymousreply 364May 17, 2023 4:46 AM

It’s Luthor, dammit…can’t you young folks even spell.

by Anonymousreply 365May 17, 2023 4:57 AM

[quote]bedding hunky Gus Trikonis during Bajour!

I'd like to read Gus' tell-all memoir: West Side Story (stage and screen), Bajour, Chita, back up dancer for Elvis, marrying Goldie, directing "Supercock" starring Ross Hagen and Nancy Kwan, directing "First Affair" starring Melissa Sue Anderson, directing "Malice in Wonderland," starring Elizabeth Taylor, etc.

by Anonymousreply 366May 17, 2023 5:44 AM

Jesus, he Wicked shill is crazed.

by Anonymousreply 367May 17, 2023 5:46 AM

R359 = Patrick Pacheco

by Anonymousreply 368May 17, 2023 6:12 AM

Thanks Erivo swarm of two but we prefer Ni’Jah!

by Anonymousreply 369May 17, 2023 6:45 AM

I think CE doesn't have the right face for Elphaba - just by two cents- but might sing it well, depending on how they shape her performance. Arianna could be okay in this, but I doubt will bring the plain old funny humanity through. She's stiff. Glinda is bendy. Also has she lost like 40 pounds? She looks scary thin these days.

This musical is the ticket seller. People love it and with more touches from the book it can only get better.

I don't think these leads, even with lackluster performances, can tank it if the physical production and score are well done.

We'll see.

by Anonymousreply 370May 17, 2023 8:16 AM

I know the stage musical has been popular with theater kids, but aren't they a niche market/minority?

by Anonymousreply 371May 17, 2023 8:27 AM

Phantom of the Opera and CATS are two of the most beloved musicals and both movie versions flopped.

Also see: Rent, The Producers, Dear Evan Hansen, Jersey Boys, Spielberg's West Side Story, etc

by Anonymousreply 372May 17, 2023 8:28 AM

I actually don’t think Wicked will be a huge box office hit. Movie metrics have changed forever. It will do well, but it won’t dominate, especially being broken into two movies.

by Anonymousreply 373May 17, 2023 10:45 AM

No one cares about Wicked. It stinks.

by Anonymousreply 374May 17, 2023 11:07 AM

Little girls and their parents will flock to "Wicked" along with teen and 20-something females who hold it as dear to them as aging NY theater queens hold " Follies."

by Anonymousreply 375May 17, 2023 11:39 AM

Can someone tell me why Glinda is sometimes called Galinda in WICKED? Is this some plot point? I've never seen the stupid show.

by Anonymousreply 376May 17, 2023 1:15 PM

r376

she changes her name to sound more upper class(I think... it's been a while)

by Anonymousreply 377May 17, 2023 1:19 PM

Does Chita mention me in her book????

by Anonymousreply 378May 17, 2023 1:25 PM

DL fave Reba anoints her successor!

I did see Innerbichler in "Shucked" and she really is a star in the making. But that name...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379May 17, 2023 1:38 PM

R376 according to the WICKED book, her real name was Galinda, but one of her cherished, animal teachers had the bad habit of shortening it to 'Glinda,' which she began using in his honor after he was arrested or banished or something.

by Anonymousreply 380May 17, 2023 1:39 PM

Thanks, r377 and r380. That seems......unnecessary.

by Anonymousreply 381May 17, 2023 1:46 PM

From Wikipedia:

[quote]In Gregory Maguire's 1995 revisionist novel Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West, she is initially called "Galinda," and (through her mother) is descended from the noble clan of the Arduennas of the Upland.

[quote]Galinda drops the first 'a' in her name in the middle of the story, in tribute to Doctor Dillamond, a martyred Goat who taught at Shiz (Dillamond made the habitual mistake of calling her "Glinda" instead of "Galinda" while they shared a carriage, before her arrival to the university). The Goat's death also prompts Glinda to re-evaluate her life, and she dedicates herself to studying sorcery, at which she proves to be quite skilled.[citation needed]

by Anonymousreply 382May 17, 2023 1:56 PM

The book, also, was unnecessary.

by Anonymousreply 383May 17, 2023 1:57 PM

[quote][citation needed]

Not really.

by Anonymousreply 384May 17, 2023 1:58 PM

Anyone seen Sweeney recently? I saw it a couple of weeks ago and found Groban MUCH stronger than I was anticipating. Weightier, more menacing than I thought he was capable of. Spoke to a friend with similar taste and he saw the show last week and said Groban was like a puppy dog. Is Groban giving an inconsistent performance night to night? I really don't think I'm the type to be forgiving of an ill-suited performance. I went into the show deeply skeptical of his casting and was surprised to come out a fan.

by Anonymousreply 385May 17, 2023 2:12 PM

R356. Marry me

by Anonymousreply 386May 17, 2023 2:18 PM

R346. marry me

by Anonymousreply 387May 17, 2023 2:19 PM

Dropping an 'a' from your name? How pretentious.

by Anonymousreply 388May 17, 2023 2:55 PM

Cynthia's performance in The Color Purple was one of the best Broadway moments I've seen since moving to New York in 1990.

by Anonymousreply 389May 17, 2023 3:04 PM

r385, I saw Sweeney twice within a month and found Groban had improved significantly. An actor friend saw him opening night and called him "the substitute teacher of Fleet Street. " I don't think Sweeney has to be a hulking monster to be effective. The second performance I saw had the audience thrilled. Perhaps his work varies notably from night to night.

by Anonymousreply 390May 17, 2023 3:04 PM

I saw both Cynthia and Fantasia in Purple and IMO, Fantasia blew Cynthia away. There was no comparison.

by Anonymousreply 391May 17, 2023 3:06 PM

I was rooting for Fantasia to get Effie back when it came down to her and Jennifer Hudson for the part.

I'm glad she's getting to do Celie on screen.

by Anonymousreply 392May 17, 2023 3:13 PM

Are producers really considering Alan Cumming and Kristi Dawn for Sweeney Todd when Groban and Ashford leave in January?

by Anonymousreply 393May 17, 2023 3:36 PM

To me, the difference was that with Fantasia, she simply was Celie. No projection. It was amazing and she built the show to "I"m Here". I always knew Cynthia was acting. Maybe because she's British but she never disappeared into the character like Fantasia..

by Anonymousreply 394May 17, 2023 3:37 PM

Fantasia is a natural star. Pure, unaffected talent.

by Anonymousreply 395May 17, 2023 3:40 PM

Did anyone post the full winners' list for the Outer Critics Circle Award yesterday? If not, here it is:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 396May 17, 2023 3:44 PM

J. Harrison Ghee performs ‘You Coulda Knocked Me Over With A Feather’ from "Some Like It Hot":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397May 17, 2023 3:48 PM

In Broadway’s ‘Grey House,’ Something Nightmarish This Way Comes:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 398May 17, 2023 3:49 PM

Where did you hear that? Heaven forfend.

by Anonymousreply 399May 17, 2023 4:09 PM

No Lea or Benko this afternoon at FG. Second understudy is on.

by Anonymousreply 400May 17, 2023 4:10 PM

r399, referring to the Cumming/Chenoweth rumor.

by Anonymousreply 401May 17, 2023 4:11 PM

[quote]No Lea or Benko this afternoon at FG. Second understudy is on.

I'm just the carbon copy you read when you can't find the original.

by Anonymousreply 402May 17, 2023 4:29 PM

[quote]Are producers really considering Alan Cumming and Kristi Dawn for Sweeney Todd when Groban and Ashford leave in January?

Were they watching "Schmicago?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 403May 17, 2023 5:04 PM

I do think the Wicked movie will be big. How big? I have no idea, but it's one of the few truly beloved Broadway properties from the last 20 years and the show still does fantastic business on Broadway and on tour. Unless the movie drops the ball in some spectacular way, I certainly don't see it bombing. The main leads can all sing and sing well which is half the battle with a movie musical. Splitting it into 2 movies is a big risk, but maybe it'll be worth it. If they're bringing more in from the book, it could work. The book of the musical could have used a little extra work, so it's not like they're defacing a show that's already pretty perfect like Guys and Dolls or Gypsy.

Josh Groban seems like Bernadette Peters in Gypsy 2.0. Mostly good reviews, but the audience reports vary. Some think he's miscast, others think he's thrilling, some people have seen him multiple times and say he's gotten better, etc. It might be one of those performances that's debated for years to come.

by Anonymousreply 404May 17, 2023 5:06 PM

R397, I really enjoyed that. J sounded great!

by Anonymousreply 405May 17, 2023 5:32 PM

“It might be one of those performances that's debated for years to come.“

Much like mine in Funny Girl.

by Anonymousreply 406May 17, 2023 5:59 PM

Will Wicked movie still have Elphaba be green? Is Erivo using makeup or will they color her green after filming?

by Anonymousreply 407May 17, 2023 6:12 PM

Wicked movie will not be a hit.

by Anonymousreply 408May 17, 2023 6:43 PM

R405, there was not a real moment in the whole "performance."

by Anonymousreply 409May 17, 2023 8:25 PM

Cheno is busy with her Queen of Versailles musical so I doubt she will be replacing Annaleigh.

by Anonymousreply 410May 17, 2023 8:33 PM

[quote]Cheno is busy with her Queen of Versailles musical so I doubt she will be replacing Annaleigh.

And the Dusty Springfield musical

And the Tammy Faye Baker musical

by Anonymousreply 411May 17, 2023 8:39 PM

And her wedding.

by Anonymousreply 412May 17, 2023 8:40 PM

[quote] [R356]. Marry me

Yes, please take yourselves off the market and spare someone wonderful either of you.

by Anonymousreply 413May 17, 2023 8:56 PM

Analeigh out of ST this afternoon. The former Princess Diana went on.

by Anonymousreply 414May 17, 2023 9:22 PM

I really want to see Jeanna do it. Some of AA's work is so specific that it might be difficult to recreate.

by Anonymousreply 415May 17, 2023 10:14 PM

[quote]Some of AA's work is so specific that it might be difficult to recreate.

That's Miss Kit's training!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 416May 17, 2023 10:26 PM

Just saw Grey House. Very disappointing indeed.

by Anonymousreply 417May 17, 2023 10:44 PM

R417-How did you see it today? The matinee was cancelled. The evening performance started at 8 and you posted at 7.

by Anonymousreply 418May 18, 2023 3:04 AM

R370, care to describe what kind of face Elphaba SHOULD have?

by Anonymousreply 419May 18, 2023 3:07 AM

[quote]Just saw Grey House. Very disappointing indeed.

[quote][R417]-How did you see it today? The matinee was cancelled. The evening performance started at 8 and you posted at 7.

Maybe r417 saw it last night, r418?

by Anonymousreply 420May 18, 2023 3:21 AM

A new revival of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest starring Sterling K Brown as McMurtrey and Laura Benanti as Nurse Ratched? Really Laura???

by Anonymousreply 421May 18, 2023 3:44 AM

I always thought Olivia Colman should play Nurse Ratchet.

by Anonymousreply 422May 18, 2023 3:49 AM

Billy Porter for Nurse Ratched.

by Anonymousreply 423May 18, 2023 3:50 AM

No, r419, I don't see an upside there.

Look, Elphaba could have been cast as an actress from any background, including Spanish, Mexican, Italian, Norwegian, Turkish, whatever, etc, etc.

Do YOU think she has a great face for Elphaba?

by Anonymousreply 424May 18, 2023 4:00 AM

Actually, scratch that - I do have an answer:

A face that recalls Margaret Hamilton in some way.

by Anonymousreply 425May 18, 2023 4:02 AM

Has anyone seen Bernadette's new Apple TV series in which she plays Patricia Arquette's mother?

by Anonymousreply 426May 18, 2023 4:14 AM

This isn't The Wizard of Oz '39, r425. I would assume they want this to be their own Oz.

by Anonymousreply 427May 18, 2023 4:14 AM

Have you, r426?

by Anonymousreply 428May 18, 2023 4:15 AM

Lea Michele would have made a better Elphaba.

by Anonymousreply 429May 18, 2023 4:18 AM

Beanie would have made a better Elphaba.

by Anonymousreply 430May 18, 2023 4:42 AM

SHUCKED!

by Anonymousreply 431May 18, 2023 4:47 AM

Eldergays, any memories of seeing Tommy Tune and Twiggy in My One and Only? How'd it compare to the other "new" Gershwin musical, Crazy for You, which premiered about a decade later? Looks... kind of meh here, but sometimes things don't translate well to video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 432May 18, 2023 6:04 AM

My One and Only was pure joy. Tommy was the perfect All American and Twiggy was a delightful vamp. So much fun.

by Anonymousreply 433May 18, 2023 11:34 AM

My One and Only was a lot of fun, and I preferred it to Crazy for You and Nice Work If You Can Get It. It was a complete disaster in its Boston tryout, with avant-garde director Peter Sellars approaching it like it was Brecht. Tommy Tune took the reins and the show was completely revised in between Boston and New York, with Peter Stone coming in with a new book, Mike Nichols, Michael Bennett and Thommie Walsh helping Tune to restage it, new musical arrangements, and Tony Walton revising the set. Everyone counted it out, but if the show wasn't high art, it was immensely enjoyable and an antidote to Cats which was the big show that season (along with Little Shop of Horrors Off-Broadway, which won every award in sight, except the Tony, obviously). What My One and Only had going for it was an anarchic quality. The visuals were quite crazy. The oddball pairing of Tune and Twiggy worked and they had a lot of charm together. And the way the show was thrown together in its hasty revision gave it an anarchic quality that actually came pretty close to resembling its inspiration, those frivolous and loosely assembled Gershwin musicals of the 1920s.

by Anonymousreply 434May 18, 2023 11:34 AM

Saw Grey House Tuesday night. Would you like my ticket stub?

by Anonymousreply 435May 18, 2023 11:49 AM

Tommy and Twiggy were fucking during the run, or so he said. Hard to believe. I went backstage with a friend to meet them after a performance and they were very cute and hands-y with each other. So who knows? But the show was very cute, if totally shallow.

by Anonymousreply 436May 18, 2023 12:00 PM

Sandy Duncan and Don Correia was more than worthy replacements. He was very sexy and Sandy was her perky, fabulous self. Then Tommy came back when Don left to do Singing in the Rain.

by Anonymousreply 437May 18, 2023 12:22 PM

[quote]And they are filming every musical scene both with prerecorded and LIVE vocals.

That's how most musicals are shot so it actually looks like they are really singing. So the throat movements are real.

by Anonymousreply 438May 18, 2023 12:26 PM

[quote] So the throat movements are real.

Hot.

by Anonymousreply 439May 18, 2023 12:57 PM

No, most musicals do not record the live vocals.

by Anonymousreply 440May 18, 2023 1:12 PM

what show was this clip from? Tom Selleck introduces the number at the St James? a week after the Tony nominations were announced in '83 apparently

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 441May 18, 2023 1:32 PM

A friend saw Grey House and his only comments was, "What the hell happened? "

by Anonymousreply 442May 18, 2023 1:54 PM

R421. Despite it legacy-Ratched isn't even really that great of a role. More importantly, why is Sterling K. Brown (a good stage actor) using his new found star power to promote the work of an un or under produced black playwright. For all the verbiage about being "having to tell our stories", I see a lot of re-telling of the same stories that were already told by white people

by Anonymousreply 443May 18, 2023 1:59 PM

[quote]No, most musicals do not record the live vocals.

No, but the actors sing live on set to the track. They just don't use the live track.

by Anonymousreply 444May 18, 2023 2:13 PM

The Gary Sinese "Cuckoo's Nest" proved for all time that the play remains stuck in the late 60s Ken Keysey/drugged out school bus/anti "the man" and the writing is so poor. Actors love it because it completely lets them indulge, the play is meh.

by Anonymousreply 445May 18, 2023 5:53 PM

Another unasked for flop revival.

by Anonymousreply 446May 18, 2023 5:55 PM

Maybe Chrissy Metz could play Nurse Ratched instead of Benanti (which is totally wrong casting). We could have a This is Us reunion and bring in the fraus (who ain't coming to see Brown on his own).

by Anonymousreply 447May 18, 2023 5:57 PM

R441 Tommy Tune is a giant.

Or Twiggy is a midget.

by Anonymousreply 448May 18, 2023 6:05 PM

Tommy Tune is incredibly tall. Just about anyone would look tiny compared to him.

by Anonymousreply 449May 18, 2023 7:23 PM

Yes, r449...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 450May 18, 2023 7:55 PM

Nothing against Benanti, but Ratched doesn't exactly play to her strengths (and she doesn't sell a single ticket). Brown got a lot of notoriety from This Is Us-but predominately TV stars have had mixed BO success. Brown was excellent in the brother/Sister plays at The Public playing a character 180 degrees from what his was doing on his show-yet, he too seems like not an ideal McMurphy

by Anonymousreply 451May 18, 2023 8:00 PM

I disagree. He comes across as so very intense, I could see him going full throttle with this role.

by Anonymousreply 452May 18, 2023 8:13 PM

R452 McMurphy needs a jovial side.

by Anonymousreply 453May 18, 2023 8:20 PM

^ we can wait to see and decide ourselves…that’s why it’s called acting—either good or bad

by Anonymousreply 454May 18, 2023 8:32 PM

McMurphy need to be a loose canon-which is why the end is so effective when his larger than life spirit gets crushed. I vote for someone like Johnny Flynn-charismatic, quixotic, sexy, charming, surprising, dangerous. Although I agree, another revival of this would be totally unnccessary

by Anonymousreply 455May 18, 2023 8:33 PM

Maybe it might work as a musical? People laughed at the idea of the original "1776" but the writer pulled it off - now they just laugh at the execution of the last revival.

by Anonymousreply 456May 18, 2023 8:41 PM

Pete Davidson is McMurphy.

by Anonymousreply 457May 18, 2023 9:02 PM

Cynthia Nixon would make an interesting Nurse Ratched.

by Anonymousreply 458May 18, 2023 9:09 PM

With that high-pitched squeaky voice? No.

by Anonymousreply 459May 18, 2023 9:15 PM

Martha Plimpton for Ratched.

by Anonymousreply 460May 18, 2023 9:15 PM

There has been a problem with literally everyone who has played Ratched.

She is supposed to have ENORMOUS, VOLUPTUOUS, BEAUTIFUL TITS!

by Anonymousreply 461May 18, 2023 9:16 PM

Karen Ziemba *IS* Nurse Ratched!

by Anonymousreply 462May 18, 2023 9:28 PM

Martha Plimpton in anything, please.

by Anonymousreply 463May 18, 2023 9:30 PM

While Martha Plimpton may be a delightful dinner companion, she is no fun in a rehearsal hall. A constant gloomy cloud over her head, constantly doubting herself and making everyone else miserable. There's a reason she hasn't done more plays in NY.

by Anonymousreply 464May 18, 2023 9:40 PM

Judith Light would make an interesting Nurse Ratched too.

by Anonymousreply 465May 18, 2023 9:53 PM

Toni Collette for Ratched! After she plays Mame and all those other musicals she should be hired to do!!!

by Anonymousreply 466May 18, 2023 9:57 PM

Julie Benko as Thursday evening Nurse Ratched!

by Anonymousreply 467May 18, 2023 9:59 PM

Dame Judith Dench could have done one of her ice in the veins numbers for Ratched.

"If Mr. McMurphy doesn’t want to take his medication orally, I’m sure we can arrange that he can have it some other way."

by Anonymousreply 468May 18, 2023 10:01 PM

Jinx Monsoon is Nurse Ratched.

by Anonymousreply 469May 18, 2023 10:05 PM

Lord we don't need a musical version of Cuckoo's Nest

by Anonymousreply 470May 18, 2023 10:08 PM

Peppermint is Nurse Ratched in the all black Cuckoo's Nest.

by Anonymousreply 471May 18, 2023 10:09 PM

Jada would make a perfect Ratched.

by Anonymousreply 472May 18, 2023 10:11 PM

[quote]Jada would make a perfect Ratched.

As long as the rest of the cast is white.

by Anonymousreply 473May 18, 2023 10:12 PM

Apparently MTC is bringing back Joshua Harmon's PRAYER FOR THE FRENCH REPUBLIC but this time to its Broadway space this coming season. Anti-Semitisim is in!

I saw it and while it had a lot going for it, I do hope it gets a major rewrite. There was a lot there that needed much more development. But I do hope the entire cast gets to transfer with it.

by Anonymousreply 474May 18, 2023 10:27 PM

R473. and the nurses station is low

by Anonymousreply 475May 18, 2023 10:40 PM

so, MTC now is just basically going to recycle all of their (or other) off-way productions into Bway runs?

by Anonymousreply 476May 18, 2023 10:42 PM

Nicole Kidman would make an interesting Nurse Ratched too.

by Anonymousreply 477May 18, 2023 11:15 PM

She's called Big Nurse all throughout the novel, especially for her big tits. Is Pamela Blair still acting?

by Anonymousreply 478May 18, 2023 11:25 PM

Patti LuPone *IS* Old Nurse Ratched

by Anonymousreply 479May 19, 2023 12:24 AM

R479. And they can replace her with Glenn Close before the opening.

by Anonymousreply 480May 19, 2023 12:31 AM

Any west coast folks see the A Little Night Music at Pasadena Playhouse with the full orchestra? Reports?

by Anonymousreply 481May 19, 2023 3:20 AM

Hi!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 482May 19, 2023 3:26 AM

R481, it's just great. Way better than the KZJ production. I think a lot of us were wondering what Merle Dandridge is doing in Pasadena rather than on Broadway. If this were on Broadway, it would be a star making performance. The reviews were incredible and Charles McNulty of the LA Times started his review by asking where she's been all his life.

by Anonymousreply 483May 19, 2023 5:23 AM

R483 - nice! Wish I could make it back to the W. Coast to catch it. I wish LCT would do a full scale revival of Night Music. I think that's probably the only chance we'd have of seeing one in NY.

by Anonymousreply 484May 19, 2023 6:12 AM

Alfre Woodard and Laurie Metcalf would have both been excellent as Nurse Ratched earlier in their respective careers.

by Anonymousreply 485May 19, 2023 9:20 AM

Mia be good playing Nurse Ratched.

by Anonymousreply 486May 19, 2023 9:23 AM

I heard that Jodi long was the weak link as Madame Leonora Armfohno - did you feel that way?

by Anonymousreply 487May 19, 2023 9:35 AM

R442, some of my friends saw Grey House and called it the worst production of anything they’ve ever seen (despite liking the actors).

by Anonymousreply 488May 19, 2023 9:40 AM

I really like her, but I simply cannot envision Laura Benanti as Nurse Ratched. Not even in a musical version.

I'd pick Kirsten Dunst for a film version, Carrie Coon for a stage version, and Annaleigh Ashford for a sitcom version.

by Anonymousreply 489May 19, 2023 9:40 AM

Let's bring this discussion back to Betty....she really is good!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 490May 19, 2023 9:44 AM

The Night Music in Pasadena looks cheap.

Miniature cars pulls up to a miniature mansion, and the Titian is an empty frame.

by Anonymousreply 491May 19, 2023 11:13 AM

We love Alipill

by Anonymousreply 492May 19, 2023 12:05 PM

Laurie Metcalfe as Ratched is one of those hypothetical performances that you know exactly how she would play the role in advance.

by Anonymousreply 493May 19, 2023 12:14 PM

r491 - I mean, the most recent Broadway revival was even cheaper in that regard. I will say, in the promotional clips the full orchestra doesn't sound as... glorious as one would hope, but I'm guessing these aren't LA Phil musicians or film session musicians doing side jobs, so perhaps expecting Broadway-quality musicianship is a bit of a stretch. It looks like a very respectable regional production.

by Anonymousreply 494May 19, 2023 12:51 PM

I can't imagine ALNM won't be LCT and Bart Sher's next Beaumont musical. What else would they produce there?

by Anonymousreply 495May 19, 2023 12:55 PM

Are we to presume that Roundabout's pallid last and current season are due to Todd Haimes' failing health? Or are there financial issues there that are keeping the theatre from producing full seasons? Is there a search for a successor or will the top position simply be yielded to Scott Ellis (perish the thought)?

by Anonymousreply 496May 19, 2023 12:57 PM

R495 - one hopes they select a new director for whatever their next 'big' classic musical revival is. Actually, with that in mind, *is* there an ideal director for this big, lavish Night Music revival some of us are pining for?

by Anonymousreply 497May 19, 2023 1:00 PM

Could Nicholas Hytner turn in an excellent ALNM?

by Anonymousreply 498May 19, 2023 1:05 PM

Charles McNulty is an idiot, I’m afraid

by Anonymousreply 499May 19, 2023 1:14 PM

This is true, R499. You really cannot trust the Los Angeles theater critics.

And as for Merle Dandridge, she's been in LA raking it in with television show after television show. If I were her, I'd do the same damn thing.

by Anonymousreply 500May 19, 2023 1:17 PM

Queens! Is anyone going to Sunset Blvd in London to see DL fave Nicole?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 501May 19, 2023 1:22 PM

A strictly limited 16 week run.

How are they going to fill 16 days?

by Anonymousreply 502May 19, 2023 1:23 PM

[quote] The production marks the first production presented by Lloyd Webber Harrison Musicals, the new joint venture by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Michael Harrison.

I wonder what this is about? What happened to Really Useful Group? ALW is richer than God, why does he need a producing partner? I never thought ALW was gay, but this sounds like setting up one’s boytoy in business.

by Anonymousreply 503May 19, 2023 1:31 PM

“… but this sounds like setting up one’s boytoy in business.“

Uh, that doesn’t always work out.

by Anonymousreply 504May 19, 2023 1:39 PM

You will not see a revival of "A Little Night Music" again in your lifetime, so give it up and move on.

by Anonymousreply 505May 19, 2023 1:47 PM

[quote] Queens! Is anyone going to Sunset Blvd in London to see DL fave Nicole?

Every time she does musicals, she gets sterling reviews so I put my money on her being fantastic again.

by Anonymousreply 506May 19, 2023 1:49 PM

R505 - I'm not giving up hope. I'm 42. I might be COMPLETELY grey by the time we see one, but I don't think Sweeney and Merrily will be the last Sondheim revivals.

by Anonymousreply 507May 19, 2023 1:58 PM

r506 - what else has she done besides Cats? Yes, I tried looking it up, but I don't know what the West End equivalent to IBDB is.

by Anonymousreply 508May 19, 2023 1:59 PM

[quote] what else has she done besides Cats?

Isn't that enough to consider her a West End Super Duper Star?

by Anonymousreply 509May 19, 2023 2:03 PM

Wasn't she in 'The Bodyguard' musical?

by Anonymousreply 510May 19, 2023 2:05 PM

I don't understand this SUNSET casting. Nicole Scherzinger is 44 years old and looks about 35.

Yes, I know Gloria Swanson was just 50 when she did the movie. She looked like she was in her 60s. Elegant, but 60.

Is Joe Gillis going to be played by a 19-year-old?

by Anonymousreply 511May 19, 2023 2:06 PM

Youtube has a number of videos of her singing Bway songs--from Evita and Phantom. She's great in all of them.

by Anonymousreply 512May 19, 2023 2:07 PM

Anyone else dubious that THIS will ever happen?

OTOH, a friend attended recently--and hated the show. But he said that the palooka-ville tourists around him were cheering wildly, and gave it a standing ovation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 513May 19, 2023 2:20 PM

"Theatre Camp" | Official Trailer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 514May 19, 2023 2:21 PM

Can anyone recap what's actually confirmed about the Tonys? They're going on, but obviously nothing will be pre-written (banter etc.)

Are musical performances allowed even if lyrics may have been written by a writer who is also in WGA (not sure if that's the case for any of the lyricists) since that is "pre-written" material?

Will there be celebrity presenters? And will they just have to out there and wing it?

Will Ariana have to improv her opening? Or better yet, can she sing America and then go home?

by Anonymousreply 515May 19, 2023 2:26 PM

Lyricists (and composers) are not bound by the WGA strike for pre-existent material created for the stage, regardless of whether they're also WGA members.

by Anonymousreply 516May 19, 2023 2:29 PM

[quote]Are musical performances allowed even if lyrics may have been written by a writer who is also in WGA (not sure if that's the case for any of the lyricists) since that is "pre-written" material?

Those numbers will be hummed.

by Anonymousreply 517May 19, 2023 2:30 PM

Bonnie Franklin will be narrating the entire awards ceremony from her seat on the aisle, as a sort of memory play.

by Anonymousreply 518May 19, 2023 2:30 PM

Everything will be mimed.

by Anonymousreply 519May 19, 2023 2:31 PM

I agree with all that's been said about PP's ALNM. It's only regional theater and they definitely put the majority of their budget in having a 22 piece orchestra. But I wouldn't even say it looks cheap, especially after the CZJ revival. You obviously won't be hearing Symphony level playing it is still wonderful. I can see how people are complaining about Jodi Long's hamminess, but it didn't bother me. I felt the loss of Alexander Hanson (at least with Bernadette) because even though Michael Hayden is good, he isn't a match for Merle Dandridge and for me, it underscores how difficult it is to find leading men in musical theater.

McNulty is definitely a tool, but he got it right about Dandridge, She has an elegance and a grace to herself onstage that was magnificent and the way she carries herself made all eyes go to her at every moment. You understood this woman is a star.

by Anonymousreply 520May 19, 2023 2:34 PM

Give Patti LuPone a spot on the Tony Awards. She’ll generate enough content for the ratings to soar and at the same time make the case for the importance of scripted television.

“Don’t get me started on tourists in the theater district. When I did Evita, there were no tourists. None! Tourists were a creation of the Guiliani administration.”

by Anonymousreply 521May 19, 2023 2:35 PM

Forget Bonnie Franklin. Let Patti narrate the entire awards ceremony in a livestream from her finished basement iin Connecticut.

Her "who really deserved to win" comments will make this one for the ages.

by Anonymousreply 522May 19, 2023 2:39 PM

[quote] But, would it be revied before " Follies"?

by Anonymousreply 523May 19, 2023 2:40 PM

Seeing Broadway divas spout off is one of the only reasons to ever catch dreadful Andy Cohen's show. In one of her more recent appearances, Andy made her play a game in which he put up two famous performers of iconic roles and asked her to choose her favorite. One was The Witch in Into the Woods and she had to choose between Bernadette and Vanessa Williams. After a pregnant pause she (almost regrettably) said 'Bernadette'. You can see that it pained her.

By contrast, when Bernadette was once on the show... sometime after the Grammys... Andy asked her what she thought of Patti performing Don't Cry for Me Argentina on the Grammys tribute to Andrew Lloyd Webber and Bernadette didn't hesitate to praise the performance.

Insecurity vs. confidence in full display on Bravo.

by Anonymousreply 524May 19, 2023 2:40 PM

Apologies, I was referring to a more recent Patti LuPone appearance in my first paragraph. Though, I'm sure you got that.

by Anonymousreply 525May 19, 2023 2:41 PM

So...young.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 526May 19, 2023 2:55 PM

Annette Benning's too old for Desiree now, right? She seems like she'd have been a really interesting Desiree.

by Anonymousreply 527May 19, 2023 3:00 PM

R511, the character of Norma Desmond is 50 years old.

Swanson looked younger than most 50 year olds at the time the film was made.

Casting these superannuated women in the musical makes a hash of the timeline and story. If she is older than 60, she was a star in the nickelodeon days, not in the grand Hollywood of the 20s. So how would she have this grand mansion?

by Anonymousreply 528May 19, 2023 3:37 PM

What year is Sunset set in?

by Anonymousreply 529May 19, 2023 3:46 PM

by Anonymousreply 530May 19, 2023 3:47 PM

Oh no! Theatre Camp looks like it might actually be funny......

"Everything is going to be okay."

"It doesn't look okay."

by Anonymousreply 531May 19, 2023 3:59 PM

That's funny, R531?

You must be the audience for Shucked.

by Anonymousreply 532May 19, 2023 4:22 PM

*This* is funny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 533May 19, 2023 4:25 PM

The model for Norma Desmond was Mary Pickford, who was 58 in 1950. An older woman is not inappropriate casting for the role.

Having said that, Nicole is 44. Patti was 42, and Glenn was 47.

by Anonymousreply 534May 19, 2023 4:27 PM

Catherine Zeta-Jones for Norma. She's 53, Hollywood-glamorous, she can sing, and she can certainly come across as unhinged. Plus she's had Old Hollywood inside of her since 2000.

by Anonymousreply 535May 19, 2023 4:34 PM

CZJ for Rose in the inevitable Gypsy revival. Audra can play Miss Cratchitt.

by Anonymousreply 536May 19, 2023 4:43 PM

So for those of us the sticks, who only see shows considered "regional" and during a summer schedule...

I saw last summer's ALNM at Barrington in Pittsfield. Damn does that show need a full orchestra (the score is just too beautiful to skimp). And whoever you cast as Desiree should be able to convey that certain, European ennui. Emily Skinner has a beautiful voice. excellent comic timing, but man she is an American and did not "feel" time or location appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 537May 19, 2023 4:43 PM

Prayers For The French Republic is nothing but a low-rent Leopoldstadt. Lynne Meadow should retire.

by Anonymousreply 538May 19, 2023 4:45 PM

Beanie could play Chief Bromden in Cuckoo's Nest.

by Anonymousreply 539May 19, 2023 4:48 PM

R537? I saw that also and agree with your take. The production got some buzz, but it was not anywhere close to Broadway. I would add that, as much as I like Jason Daniely, he was the first Fredrik I have ever seen go up on lyrics. In the last week of performances.

by Anonymousreply 540May 19, 2023 4:53 PM

At the first performance of Night Music in Pasadena, the Frederick made complete hash of “Now”, going up on the lyrics right off the start, then again a verse later.

by Anonymousreply 541May 19, 2023 6:02 PM

Nicole S auditioned for friends who were casting a big musical revival that shall nit be named.

They were stunned to discover she really couldn’t dance and the singing wasn’t so hot.

by Anonymousreply 542May 19, 2023 6:24 PM

[quote]They were stunned to discover she really couldn’t dance

That's going to be a problem when it comes to Norma's freewheeling patio number.

by Anonymousreply 543May 19, 2023 6:27 PM

‘Leopoldstadt’ and ‘Some Like It Hot’ Take Drama League Awards for Outstanding Play & Musical:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 544May 19, 2023 7:03 PM

Wow, those Drama League Awards are embarrassing. Lear De Bessonet? Annaleigh Ashford? Some Like It Hot?

by Anonymousreply 545May 19, 2023 7:12 PM

It says so much about Broadway that Annaleigh Ashford gave the best performance of the season.

Everyone is to blame

by Anonymousreply 546May 19, 2023 7:27 PM

Kate does a show tune!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 547May 19, 2023 7:58 PM

I was there. Lear De Bessonet is embarrassing in all ways. She thanked Swings and understudies. Really? The best was Sarah Brielle's taking a shot at Encores! "Lear told me I could carry a binder, but they gave me a baby and a rolling pin. Where was I supposed to hold the binder?" Hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 548May 19, 2023 8:32 PM

How would DL have cast Kate Smith in Follies ?

by Anonymousreply 549May 19, 2023 8:41 PM

[quote]Apparently MTC is bringing back Joshua Harmon's PRAYER FOR THE FRENCH REPUBLIC but this time to its Broadway space this coming season. Anti-Semitisim is in! I saw it and while it had a lot going for it, I do hope it gets a major rewrite. There was a lot there that needed much more development. But I do hope the entire cast gets to transfer with it.

More development?! The thing was way too fucking long as it was, not to mention incredibly boring and annoying in its extreme talkiness. Epic fail.

by Anonymousreply 550May 19, 2023 8:54 PM

R540, Jason just announced on Facebook that he’s engaged to be married.

by Anonymousreply 551May 19, 2023 9:11 PM

That's a reason to forget his lyrics, r551?

by Anonymousreply 552May 19, 2023 11:06 PM

Engaged? Engaged in what - sodomy?

by Anonymousreply 553May 19, 2023 11:08 PM

Does the $225/ticket close quarters "Uncle Vanya" directed by David Cromer include bacon fumes and well as shrieking Judy Garland songs in very high keys by Seth Sikes? No thank you.

by Anonymousreply 554May 20, 2023 12:48 AM

Emily Skinner is a frau-ish frau, no matter what she’s in. She ain’t no Desiree. And she can’t elevate the execrable NY NY.

by Anonymousreply 555May 20, 2023 1:00 AM

[quote]Emily Skinner is a frau-ish frau

Hardly, r555. What she is, is...earthy. Too earthy for Desiree, but just imagine her Petra back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 556May 20, 2023 1:08 AM

Wow, this Bway year was absolute crap

by Anonymousreply 557May 20, 2023 1:10 AM

Kate Smith, I didn't realize what a complete belter she was. Very smooth, actually a better, bigger voice than Merman.

by Anonymousreply 558May 20, 2023 1:45 AM

Missed Emily Skinner's Berkshire Desiree but I did see her as Charlotte in San Francisco's ACT ALNM about 7 years ago. She delivered her lines with a twang like she was playing Annie Oakley. But DL Fave Karen Ziemba was a surprisingly effective Desiree and Dana Ivey was a wonderful Mme Armfeldt in that one. Paolo Montalban was a hopeless Count and (I think?) Patrick Cassidy was a forgettable Fredrik.

by Anonymousreply 559May 20, 2023 1:56 AM

Kate covers HAIR at age 63, R558. Just wait till she gets going.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 560May 20, 2023 1:57 AM

Have all the Tony-nominated musicals posted their plans for their national tours yet?

You all know that's just a plea to the road house voters, right?

by Anonymousreply 561May 20, 2023 2:26 AM

R550, umm, if the play is too long and dull, that is why it would need more development. The main thing writers do in a development process is cut and up the action.

by Anonymousreply 562May 20, 2023 2:58 AM

R562, it didn't read to me like the previous poster was saying that PRAYER FOR THE FRENCH REPUBLIC needed to be edited, focused, and sharpened, which is what I think it needs. Edited as in having about an hour cut from it.

by Anonymousreply 563May 20, 2023 3:33 AM

R559, Clips from last summer’s ALNM in the Berkshires.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 564May 20, 2023 3:34 AM

That Merle Dandridge performance of "Send in the Clowns" is quite lovely on its own terms but a little too pop-ish for my taste, and for the character, I think.

by Anonymousreply 565May 20, 2023 3:41 AM

Very smooth, actually a better, bigger voice than Merman.

And without vibrato or a yodel, r558.

by Anonymousreply 566May 20, 2023 3:44 AM

The only one of the five that hasn't announced a tour yet, unless I missed it, is Shucked, R561.

by Anonymousreply 567May 20, 2023 3:47 AM

R564

Skinner is lousy in that clip. She is Desiree Armfeldt by way of Ft. Worth, TX.

by Anonymousreply 568May 20, 2023 5:07 AM

SHUCJKED is selling pretty well, actually (up there with & JULIET). I predict they will continue to sell, particularly if they score a couple of TONY awards.

I wouldn't say that about SLIH or NEW YORK NEW YORK.

by Anonymousreply 569May 20, 2023 5:24 AM

Word on "Days of Wine and Roses" is mixed to negative, but Kelli O'Hara and Brian D'Arcy James are giving the performances of their lives in a very dark, depressing little show that feels more like a chamber opera than a book musical. They are both extraordinary. It's a handsome little production but I cannot imagine it moving to a larger house or touring.

Some audiences seem especially unhappy with Adam Guettel's score, but there is some genuinely lovely, moving material in there that deserves a listen.

I say check it out before it disappears. (How many great musicals are there about alcoholism?)

by Anonymousreply 570May 20, 2023 5:43 AM

"I'll drink to that"!

by Anonymousreply 571May 20, 2023 6:23 AM

Jason Danieley is completely wrong as Frederik. He's always going to be boyish and not romantic.

by Anonymousreply 572May 20, 2023 11:26 AM

R570, why would anyone “check out” a shitty show?

by Anonymousreply 573May 20, 2023 11:28 AM

[quote]Jason Danieley is completely wrong as Frederik. He's always going to be boyish and not romantic.

More importantly to DL theater queens, would he make a good Buddy?

by Anonymousreply 574May 20, 2023 11:34 AM

R570, sounds as good a Bridges of Madison County….

by Anonymousreply 575May 20, 2023 11:36 AM

Danieley was decent as Fredrik, lyrics or not. His George Seurat at Chicago Shakespeare Theatre was really the best I have seen him. The final Sunday had the entire cast return to the stage in all white versions of their painting costumes.

by Anonymousreply 576May 20, 2023 11:49 AM

I love the film of Wine and Roses (except for those scenes where the Lemmon character gets the dts), but the one thing it doesn't need is singing.

by Anonymousreply 577May 20, 2023 12:22 PM

[Quote] just imagine her Petra back in the day.

Petra? In what show?

by Anonymousreply 578May 20, 2023 12:24 PM

[quote] SHUCJKED is selling pretty well, actually (up there with & JULIET). I predict they will continue to sell, particularly if they score a couple of TONY awards. I wouldn't say that about SLIH or NEW YORK NEW YORK.

This seems based off of their capacity figure alone. But you need to look at a combination of the gross, the size of the theatre and the average ticket price. Using the stats from last week, Shucked ($712,755) is filling its theatre to 93% at a $81 ticket, which is not sustainable in the long run. Those producers though, dealing with an unfamiliar property, are hoping the show continues to build an audience. &Juliet ($1,066,526) filled their smaller theatre to 94% at an average ticket of $137. It's the only new musical performing like a hit. Both Some Like It Hot ($993,349, with an ATP of $106) and New York, New York ($1,009,461, with an ATP of $90) are outselling Shucked, although they are both underperforming as well.

by Anonymousreply 579May 20, 2023 1:25 PM

SHUCKED must have much lower running costs than those other musicals. In the wardrobe department alone, all the clothes can be washed in house, no expensive weekly dry cleaning expenses, anything easily replaced at WalMart if necessary.

I think their only possible Tony win will be for Best Book of a Musical,

by Anonymousreply 580May 20, 2023 1:38 PM

By any measure, this is a better Broadway season than the previous one. There were plenty of satisfying shows and performances, but there were only a few that were exceptional and none that seemed unmissable. I hope that is simply the effects of the pandemic, but I fear it’s that current writers and producers just don’t have the vision or ability of those before. When Lin Manuel Miranda is the best you’ve got, and he’s too busy for Broadway, that’s a pretty grim outlook.

by Anonymousreply 581May 20, 2023 1:45 PM

[quote]Petra? In what show?

Pousse-Cafe, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 582May 20, 2023 2:34 PM

[quote]anything easily replaced at WalMart if necessary

That isn't the way it works, r580.

by Anonymousreply 583May 20, 2023 2:36 PM

DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES has the best score to a new musical since PIAZZA. For once a new musical that doesn't infantilize its audience.

by Anonymousreply 584May 20, 2023 3:06 PM

I wrote the first ALNM at Barrington comment and appreciate the additional posts. Daniely went up his lyrics when I saw the show as well (early in the run) - during You Must Meet My Wife. Skinner covered beautifully and he recovered.

I liked Jason's performance as Frederick overall, but man what pseudo-Dungeon costume shop created Charlotte's outfits? Man, it was like the actress brought her own wardrobe and would not dress any differently. And Skinner's Desiree via Ft. Worth and too earthy are spot-on.

BTW - Barrington has a new Artistic Director, Alan Paul. Young guy, from DC's Shakespeare Theatre Company. His first big show will be Cabaret. Wilkkomen to the Berkshires! I have tickets... haven't seen this musical in decades. Could be interesting.

by Anonymousreply 585May 20, 2023 3:07 PM

Shucked will likely win for Alex and nothing else. (off chance for book-although Id be shocked (shucked) if KA didnt take book. (and the award for book is not exactly inciting a BO stampede)

by Anonymousreply 586May 20, 2023 3:12 PM

we'll never get another Night Music unless its LCT. The show is aimed at a sophisticated audience of which there is very little of these days. If you cant take tweens and there aren't pop songs or songs they already know, theres next to no audience

by Anonymousreply 587May 20, 2023 3:13 PM

Viola Davis is officially insufferable

by Anonymousreply 588May 20, 2023 3:13 PM

What did she do now?

by Anonymousreply 589May 20, 2023 3:29 PM

The orchestra was expanded on the Original Broadway Cast Recording for A Little Night Music, I think especially so with the string section. A 20+ orchestra will sound better than these small chamber orchestras for recent productions, but it's likely still to never sound quite as good to us as the OBCR, or when an opera company does it with a large orchestra, like when NY City Opera did it in 1990.

by Anonymousreply 590May 20, 2023 3:33 PM

[QUOTE] BTW - Barrington has a new Artistic Director, Alan Paul. Young guy, from DC's Shakespeare Theatre Company. His first big show will be Cabaret. Wilkkomen to the Berkshires! I have tickets... haven't seen this musical in decades. Could be interesting.

I’m acquainted with Alan as he is best friends with a friend of mine. He’s very nice and quite talented. I’m excited that he has been given this opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 591May 20, 2023 3:40 PM

Is it a day ending in "Y," R588?

by Anonymousreply 592May 20, 2023 3:41 PM

R584 "has the best score to a musical [by Adam Guettel] since PIAZZA", you mean

by Anonymousreply 593May 20, 2023 3:46 PM

R589. Bemoaning how horrible her career is (for a change).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 594May 20, 2023 3:48 PM

Was Viola speaking of her snatch?

by Anonymousreply 595May 20, 2023 3:50 PM

Any Liz Swados fans left?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 596May 20, 2023 3:52 PM

I miss pre-2010 Viola Davis.

I was rooting for her to win the Oscar for DOUBT.

Then went to see the FENCES revival with Denzel for her and was ecstatic when she won the Tony.

But somewhere in the 2010s, she morphed into an insufferable bore, as R588 noted.

by Anonymousreply 597May 20, 2023 3:54 PM

That should read "pre-2015 Viola Davis" and "somewhere in the late 2010s."

by Anonymousreply 598May 20, 2023 3:56 PM

BEAUTIFUL LADY is batshit insane, R596. But it's fun.

Minority opinion, probably: I think SHUCKED should win Best Score over KIMBERLY AKIMBO, another score I admire very much. But SHUCKED is more consistently tuneful and satisfying. And genuinely funny.

There's really no other serious competition, unless John Kander wins for NEW YORK NEW YORK as a sentimental favortie.

by Anonymousreply 599May 20, 2023 4:01 PM

umm, BAJOUR?

by Anonymousreply 600May 20, 2023 4:03 PM

Kanders not eligible for NY NY.

by Anonymousreply 601May 20, 2023 4:04 PM

Will we get a 60th anniversary production of Fiddler? Wendell Pierce IS Tevye!

by Anonymousreply 602May 20, 2023 4:04 PM

CARRIE!

by Anonymousreply 603May 20, 2023 4:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!