Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

THEATRE GOSSIP #520: Demon Barbers and Debated Revivals

Annaleigh Ashford does WHAT now?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 603April 6, 2023 11:15 AM

Prior thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 28, 2023 4:02 AM

I find it odd that a production that makes such a big deal about its large orchestra playing the original Tunick orchestrations uses some chintzy sounding synthesizer version of the score in a lot of their Instagram videos. Surely they have the rights to use underscoring from the OBCR? They certainly had no problem using the much larger orchestrations from the film in some of their preview/teaser videos. I know it's a tiny detail. It just seems like such an odd choice. Probably made by some underpaid intern.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 28, 2023 4:31 AM

Three Tall Women: The Musical!

If only Jeanine Tesori could write a decent power ballad, this would get her some attention.

by Anonymousreply 3March 28, 2023 6:12 AM

I imagine the cast of SWEENEY will be heading into the studio to record the album very soon. It'll be interesting to see if Warner Music (Groban's label) will foot the bill?

by Anonymousreply 4March 28, 2023 6:29 AM

[quote] It'll be interesting to see if Warner Music (Groban's label) will foot the bill?

Who will sing his role if they deny him permission to record on another label?

by Anonymousreply 5March 28, 2023 6:34 AM

Did anyone post Loudon’s Sweeney? Not as good as Lansbury. It’s strange because music hall was right up Loudon’s alley and yet she overplays it and uses ten different accents while doing it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 28, 2023 6:37 AM

From the previous thread:

[quote]thanks so much for your remembrances/impressions of BILLY in the West End. I totally forgot a young Elaine Paige was in that. It makes sense that it's perhaps too intrinsically British for American audiences (including the source material/film upon which it's based).

There was actually a short-lived American TV series called "Billy" in 1979 that was based on :"Billy Liar" and starred Steve Guttenberg in the title role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 28, 2023 7:43 AM

Fuck yeah! Steve Guttenberg was HAF when young.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 28, 2023 9:02 AM

[quote] I really do not understand the praise for ST.

[quote]Of course you don't. This is DL. — DL hates everything!

No, it's not DL, it's because he's not a Sondheimite who would have given ole Steve a standing ovation for simply doing his morning constitution.

by Anonymousreply 9March 28, 2023 10:37 AM

Groff is not much of a movie box office draw, his movie flopped and is already streaming on Peacock.

by Anonymousreply 10March 28, 2023 10:39 AM

Billy Porter *IS* cast recording Sweeney Todd!

by Anonymousreply 11March 28, 2023 10:44 AM

Still the best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 28, 2023 10:51 AM

Josh Groban may be a singer but his acting skills need work IMHO.

Oh and when did JG get a dad bod, or is that just padding or something?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 28, 2023 10:53 AM

Saw the Hytner Guys and Dolls last week and let me tell you it's the most fun I've had at a musical since the 1960s (yeah, I'm that old).

But directorially the show is a hot mess, sloppy choreography, the hordes of standees being pulled and pushed by ushers around the stage platforms most distractingly, awkward staging and anachronistic props and costumes abound. Were those lit up WALK/DON'T WALK signs and Daily News metal boxes with coin slots really around in the early 1950s? The Hot Box Girls perform Bushel and a Peck in sleazy black leather fringed cow girl costumes with metal buckets and lewd carrots. And are minks considered too sensitive now to be used in Take Back Your Mink (here we have the cheapest white fake fur)? Oh, and the big brawl in Havana takes place in a gay bar with gays in Hawaiian shirts and short shorts!

But the leads are all loveable and give knock out performances and the Sky Masterson, handsome Andrew Richardson is so swoonworthy he will become a DL fave as soon as he's better known. According to his school credits, I think he's American as is the Miss Adelaide. Sit Down Your Rocking the Boat deservedly got 3 encores.

Anyway, the show was worth the trip to London and I can't imagine it won't find its way to Broadway to replace Here Lies Love at the deconstructed Broadway Theater once that show swiftly folds.

by Anonymousreply 14March 28, 2023 10:56 AM

R10, the movie wasn't a huge hit or anything, but Universal gives most of its films a quick turnaround from theaters to streaming, so that doesn't mean anything. M3GAN was a much bigger hit, making almost 100 million, and it still hit Peacock a month and a half after its theatrical release, just like Knock at the Cabin.

by Anonymousreply 15March 28, 2023 10:56 AM

One theatre queen analyses three different Mrs. Lovetts.

Angela Lansbury

Helena Bonham-Carter

Patty LuPone

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 28, 2023 11:00 AM

[quote]Sit Down Your Rocking the Boat

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 17March 28, 2023 11:33 AM

Len Cariou AND Victor Garner were at ST opening night. Where was Betsy Joslyn?

by Anonymousreply 18March 28, 2023 11:48 AM

R16, I’d look both ways to make sure LuPone isn’t headed your way. Misspell her name and she kills you.

by Anonymousreply 19March 28, 2023 12:13 PM

[Quote] You're such a "huge fan" of the show that you've seen "so many" productions and presumably enjoyed at least some of them.....but now you've suddenly decided that you're "over" new productions....but you bought tickets for this one anyway? You seem a bit confused.

Actually I’m not confused at all. You, however, have reading comprehension issues.

I like Sweeney but have seen so many productions, I don’t need to see yet another one. It was my partner who bought the tickets to the current production, not me.

by Anonymousreply 20March 28, 2023 12:34 PM

I’ve been so spoiled by the Angela Lansbury’s Mrs Lovett that, despite having seen many play the role, no one even comes close. It’s always the most disappointing part of any Sweeney Todd I see

by Anonymousreply 21March 28, 2023 12:35 PM

Now I'm having visions of Angela Lansbury's Mrs. Lovett leading the ensemble in Sit Down, You're Rockin' the Boat. And it almost works...

by Anonymousreply 22March 28, 2023 12:41 PM

Annaleigh does a splendid version of Worst Pies. She makes it her own.

by Anonymousreply 23March 28, 2023 12:42 PM

Angela Lansbury was the best choice.

by Anonymousreply 24March 28, 2023 12:49 PM

R6, I looked at Louden's Worst Pies and I liked it a lot. It was very different than anyone else I have seen play the part--Louden's Lovett does not have the despair most others play, so I am looking forward to seeing the rest. Her Lovett is ready to take on the world.

It also shows how great Lansbury is. Louden (like Julia McKenzie) can actually sing the role pretty well. Lansbury was working within some vocal limitations, but made those limitations integral to her characterizations.

by Anonymousreply 25March 28, 2023 12:55 PM

From the prior thread: [quote] Why can't the combo of Groff and Radcliffe be credited? Why either or?

This person is correct.

by Anonymousreply 26March 28, 2023 1:04 PM

[quote] Actually I’m not confused at all. You, however, have reading comprehension issues.

Oh, no, it's the insufferable reading comprehension troll.

by Anonymousreply 27March 28, 2023 1:05 PM

This is a Theatre Gossip thread r27. We are ALL insufferable reading comprehension trolls.

by Anonymousreply 28March 28, 2023 1:11 PM

I have a NUT ALLERGY!

by Anonymousreply 29March 28, 2023 2:11 PM

[quote]Victor Garner

Who?

by Anonymousreply 30March 28, 2023 2:13 PM

[quote] I looked at Louden's Worst Pies and I liked it a lot. It was very different than anyone else I have seen play the part--Louden's Lovett does not have the despair most others play, so I am looking forward to seeing the rest. Her Lovett is ready to take on the world.

Speaking of misspelled names ...

by Anonymousreply 31March 28, 2023 2:14 PM

[quote] yet she overplays it

Dorothy Loudon overplaying a bit?

Who coulda thunk it??!???!

by Anonymousreply 32March 28, 2023 2:15 PM

[quote] Groff is not much of a movie box office draw, his movie flopped and is already streaming on Peacock.

No, but I never said he was. The movie was a flop (and wasn't very good, but most of Shyamalan's films are terrible), but if you do a little digging, you'll find that the core M. Night audience stayed away because there was a gay couple in the lead. I can't tell you how many negative comments I read either on the YouTube pages of the trailers or where the old IMBD message boards have now migrated to... it was shocking how angry and resistant people were to there being a gay couple as the protagonists, and how they would not see the movie because of that. I actually think that's what killed the box office.

And it's a shame because, while the movie wasn't all that great, it was one of the best portrayals of a gay couple I've seen in mainstream films. They just were a couple, a family with a daughter. And that's what they were in the book it was based on, so no one can accuse Night of pandering to any *woke* politics. It also made narrative sense for it to be a gay couple as opposed to straight due to the choice that needed to be made (without going into detail for spoiler reasons). But mainstream horror audiences just do not want to see that. I think the failure of this film did more harm to seeing more things like this than something like Bros, which was never going to cross over.

That being said, the movie did open at #1, so it's a tiny victory. Groff can claim that he was part of a film where a gay couple were the leads and which opened at #1 at the box office. It's something. And I hope another filmmaker will try again.

by Anonymousreply 33March 28, 2023 2:29 PM

Daniel Radcliffe's "Franklin Shepard, Inc." on the previous thread may be the worst I've yet to see. Hard to believe the best version was almost 42 years ago sung by a man who made the unfortunate choice to become a director.

by Anonymousreply 34March 28, 2023 2:33 PM

Groff was sitting with Leah last night at The Ragtime concert. They looked adorable.

by Anonymousreply 35March 28, 2023 2:35 PM

I think Groff's popularity and stardom has only just begun to grow. Like many out gay actors in the UK, he's choosing his roles carefully and it's paying off. And he is truly and unreservedly loved within the Broadway community. I remember standing behind him to be admitted into a play at the Delacorte and he hugged the young female usher who welcomed him with great enthusiasm, also showing his lack of snobbery.

by Anonymousreply 36March 28, 2023 2:35 PM

R35 Who is Leah?

by Anonymousreply 37March 28, 2023 2:37 PM

[quote]Who will sing his role if they deny him permission to record on another label?

Zombie Dinah Shore

by Anonymousreply 38March 28, 2023 2:51 PM

[quote]Groff was sitting with Leah last night

STILL speaking of misspelled names ...

by Anonymousreply 39March 28, 2023 2:54 PM

[quote] Fat Ham Sets 2023 Broadway Bow

Ugh, I thought we'd heard the last of Porkablob.......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40March 28, 2023 2:59 PM

[quote] Actually I’m not confused at all. You, however, have reading comprehension issues. I like Sweeney but have seen so many productions, I don’t need to see yet another one. It was my partner who bought the tickets to the current production, not me.

You initially wrote not just that you "like" SWEENEY TODD, but that you are a "huge fan" of the show -- so much so that you have seen "so many" productions. And yet now, suddenly, you have decided that you don't need to see "yet another" one, even though this is a major Broadway production with a full orchestra. I have no reading comprehension issues, I just think it's very weird of you to all of a sudden stop wanting to see any more productions of a show you love.

Also, if your partner went ahead and bought tickets without asking you in advance, even though it turns out you have so little interest in seeing the show that you felt the need to post on DL about it, maybe you two should learn to communicate more effectively.

by Anonymousreply 41March 28, 2023 3:08 PM

R40, are you okay? That article is from December 22, and Porkalob has nothing to do with FAT HAM, which begins previews on Broadway in about two weeks.

by Anonymousreply 42March 28, 2023 3:13 PM

Sorry, I meant that article is from December 5, 2022.

by Anonymousreply 43March 28, 2023 3:16 PM

Puking as I type:

NO.

by Anonymousreply 44March 28, 2023 3:18 PM

I would prefer that a mediocre performer not destroy the quality of a song just to "make it her own."

by Anonymousreply 45March 28, 2023 3:19 PM

R42 R43 Oops on the date. Didn't notice.

The Porkablob bit was a joke.

by Anonymousreply 46March 28, 2023 3:21 PM

The original Johanna was Sarah Rice. Betsy Joslyn played the tour, and can be seen in the video.

Carry on.

by Anonymousreply 47March 28, 2023 3:32 PM

Betsy was still a member of the ST OBC. In the ensemble.

by Anonymousreply 48March 28, 2023 3:43 PM

R46, sorry, I just got the joke. I didn't get it at first because, although I despise Porkalob for obvious reasons, I don't really think of her as "fat."

by Anonymousreply 49March 28, 2023 4:00 PM

R49 well, she's 75 percent fat.....

by Anonymousreply 50March 28, 2023 4:19 PM

Brain-dead, but not fat.

by Anonymousreply 51March 28, 2023 4:22 PM

[quote] the Sky Masterson, handsome Andrew Richardson is so swoonworthy he will become a DL fave as soon as he's better known. According to his school credits, I think he's American

Born in Canada, raised in England R14. But, yes, he is swoonworthy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52March 28, 2023 4:23 PM

Oi, he's hot!

by Anonymousreply 53March 28, 2023 4:24 PM

I'm guessing that Nick Hytner himself probably swoons over Andrew Richardson the way he did over Michael Hayden all those years ago, and the way he probably did over several members of the cast of THE HISTORY BOYS, and......

by Anonymousreply 54March 28, 2023 4:46 PM

RAGTIME CONCERT at Minskoff Theater was amazing. The orchestra is probably the best I'll hear all year. The entire cast was incredible, I completely forgot it was not staged and these people are a generation removed from their roles as idealistic immigrants, explorers, etc. Never seen the fully staged version and really want to now.

Any idea why this has been popular with some regional theaters but not been revived?

I liked how confused little Coalhouse the third was at the end during the final bows, like "Whoa, is this applause for me?"

Lea Michele came out after intermission to introduce a quick In Memoriam section honoring deceased cast and crew.

Sometimes concerts are a little boring looking but the lighting and projections worked so well w/ the story. Entertainment Community Fund shows are must sees now.

I saw Mickey Jo, Will Swenson, and a whole lot of producers (possibly a shrunken down Scott Rudin?).

by Anonymousreply 55March 28, 2023 4:47 PM

[quote]Any idea why this has been popular with some regional theaters but not been revived?

RAGTIME was revived on Broadway in 2009, and though that production was excellent, it was sadly not a success, running only about two months. (Despite the short run, I'm surprised you were totally unaware of that revival, as it's quite easy to check such things.)

Who is Mickey Jo?

by Anonymousreply 56March 28, 2023 4:56 PM

In other Sweeney Todd news, a Chicago production of ST won a bunch of Jeff awards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57March 28, 2023 5:06 PM

[quote] Oh and when did JG get a dad bod, or is that just padding or something?

Josh got the dad bod when he turned 40.

by Anonymousreply 58March 28, 2023 5:11 PM

[quote]Lea Michele came out after intermission

Does her husband know?

by Anonymousreply 59March 28, 2023 5:45 PM

[quote] Lea Michele came out after intermission

Was there a wig to shit in?

by Anonymousreply 60March 28, 2023 5:57 PM

Just looked at ticket prices via Ticketmaster and OOF. Are there any other places to purchase tickets to Broadway shows in advance?

by Anonymousreply 61March 28, 2023 6:23 PM

R61, best best if possible is to go to the box office (or have someone do that for you), that way at least you can avoid all of the exorbitant extra fees.

by Anonymousreply 62March 28, 2023 6:24 PM

Christ, Solea Pfeiffer got cast in the all-black Hamlet at Shakespeare in the Park. How the fuck does she keep getting cast? She's horrible.

by Anonymousreply 63March 28, 2023 6:35 PM

Thanks for the tip R62!

by Anonymousreply 64March 28, 2023 6:36 PM

Ragtime is meh.

by Anonymousreply 65March 28, 2023 8:50 PM

[quote]Ragtime is meh.

It's certainly no "Shucked."

by Anonymousreply 66March 28, 2023 8:58 PM

The past week of performances (8) for BAD CINDERELLA is - well - bad. The show grossed $8,267 less than the week before.

Theater geeks are taking bets it won't last till Memorial Day. If it does, it's ALW's own money being thrown into the production to keep it going.

by Anonymousreply 67March 28, 2023 9:19 PM

I think R52 posted the wrong picture with his description.

by Anonymousreply 68March 28, 2023 9:25 PM

‘Phantom Of The Opera’ Grabs Another $3M; ‘Sweeney Todd’ Sells Out For $1.4M:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69March 28, 2023 9:35 PM

r68, you'll eat your words when you see Andrew Richardson in the flesh.

by Anonymousreply 70March 28, 2023 11:40 PM

There's a rumor (or rumour) going around London now that Brian Cox's costar in his Long Day's Journey Into Night next fall will be none other than Meryl Streep.

by Anonymousreply 71March 28, 2023 11:42 PM

[quote]Zombie Dinah Shore

Now *that* would be a drag act I'd watch.

by Anonymousreply 72March 28, 2023 11:44 PM

R71 Intriguing.

by Anonymousreply 73March 28, 2023 11:47 PM

British actress Stefanie Martini looks like a young Patti LuPone. How about a biopic?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74March 28, 2023 11:52 PM

R71-I shudder to think what the ticket prices would be.

by Anonymousreply 75March 29, 2023 12:38 AM

WTH is that woman wearing in R74's post? A heart surrounding her bosom? A lot of cleavage on display... God it looks like something a hooker at a Reno brothel would wear!

by Anonymousreply 76March 29, 2023 12:48 AM

I keep rolling my eyes at all the posters on ATC and BWW who keep trying to suggest Groban isn't an actor. As if any of the current Broadway leading men have ANY more acting ability than Josh. They keep making him out to ONLY be a singer...a voice! But that describes MOST of the leading men on Broadway these days. Including former Sweeney Norm Lewis.

I for one think Groban is absolutely an actor with fine chops. He might not have the requisite gravitas for this part, but I'm willing to bet he's far more accomplished in his abilities than MOST of the NYU/CCM/Carnegie Melon grads being churned out and swooped up by Telsey and Co.

by Anonymousreply 77March 29, 2023 12:49 AM

Groban would have made a fine Anthony in ST a few years ago, methinks.

by Anonymousreply 78March 29, 2023 1:18 AM

Cox memorably played one of the sons in the movie version of David Storey's "In Celebration," a play that owed a lot to "Long Day's Journey into Night." I'd love to see him as James Tyrone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79March 29, 2023 1:41 AM

I'm late to the chatter on Kimberly Akimbo, but is there any buzz on Justin Cooley for featured actor? It's an impressive Broadway debut.

by Anonymousreply 80March 29, 2023 2:14 AM

r77 wins

by Anonymousreply 81March 29, 2023 2:40 AM

Carnegie Melon? Is that where Victor Garner and Leah Michelle went?

by Anonymousreply 82March 29, 2023 2:47 AM

The rant about NYU/CCM/Carnegie "Melon" grads seemed familiar, so I did a search. Given that "Mellon" is consistently misspelled, I'm assuming these are also you, r77?

RE: THEATRE GOSSIP #516: "THE PIE SHOP HAS TO BE ABOVE THE MEAT PARLOR" EDITION Telsey and Co, Tara Rubin...they've built their careers over the last 15+ years by hiring boringly proficient CCM/NYU/Carnegie Melon grads and trying to spin them as Broadway's next stars. (03/02/2023)

RE: THEATRE GOSSIP # 492: The "C U Next Tuesday, Lea" Edition Julie Benko is even more ordinary than the crop of CCM and Carnegie Melon grads currently barking on the Great Bright Way… (09/19/2022)

by Anonymousreply 83March 29, 2023 2:58 AM

Get a life

by Anonymousreply 84March 29, 2023 3:12 AM

Wasn't Carnegie Melon the strip club right above the Howard Johnson's on Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 85March 29, 2023 3:22 AM

Is Carnegie Melon related to Thornton Melon? Any relation?

by Anonymousreply 86March 29, 2023 3:27 AM

R33, you neglected to mention that the gay couple in Groff’s film have an adopted Asian-American child, who I gather was extremely good. But this might have been a Woke bridge too far for general moviegoing audiences who ultimately rejected it.

by Anonymousreply 87March 29, 2023 3:57 AM

Just back from Camelot. A long and boring night at the theatre. It is no wonder why Camelot is not revived often. The book sucks and the score (shoot me) is not that great. A pity because I think Burnap is perfection in it. Soo and Donica are also very good, but Burnap is at another level for me. But what a boring show.

by Anonymousreply 88March 29, 2023 3:57 AM

[quote]R9 it's because he's not a Sondheimite who would have given ole Steve a standing ovation for simply doing his morning constitution.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89March 29, 2023 4:24 AM

It's MELLON, you fat whore!

by Anonymousreply 90March 29, 2023 4:25 AM

[quote] you neglected to mention that the gay couple in Groff’s film have an adopted Asian-American child, who I gather was extremely good. But this might have been a Woke bridge too far for general moviegoing audiences who ultimately rejected it.

I hadn't read many complaints about that, but it could have been that the gay couple was enough for them to complain about.

And yes, she was very good. The whole cast was good. Not a bad performance among them, though some roles were smaller than others.

by Anonymousreply 91March 29, 2023 5:59 AM

R83, R90 - It's called AUTOCORRECT ya cunts!

by Anonymousreply 92March 29, 2023 7:02 AM

Wait, some roles were smaller than others? What's that all about?

by Anonymousreply 93March 29, 2023 11:20 AM

Dumb ass, I was saying that everyone was very good in it, despite the size of their roles. They each made a lot out of little material.

Fucking people on here can't read.

by Anonymousreply 94March 29, 2023 12:04 PM

And if you don't pronounce Mellon properly the fuckin' gates won't open

by Anonymousreply 95March 29, 2023 12:07 PM

Apparently, the bad Cinderella can only be bad for 6 shows a week now

by Anonymousreply 96March 29, 2023 1:07 PM

Josh Groban actually briefly went to C-M but left as soon as he got a recording contract. So, had he stayed, he actually would have been one of those Ccm/C-M grads

by Anonymousreply 97March 29, 2023 1:09 PM

so for all the chatter saying NY NY isn't selling, they did 400k for 2 performances last week

by Anonymousreply 98March 29, 2023 1:09 PM

There was a short segment on WNYC with and interview with 4 Sweeneys. Honestly, Groban's singing sounded absolutely glorious

by Anonymousreply 99March 29, 2023 1:12 PM

[insert SWEENEY joke about "No sir, it's grocer..." here]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100March 29, 2023 1:28 PM

R92 No autocorrect anywhere would do that.

Voice dictation, perhaps.

by Anonymousreply 101March 29, 2023 1:29 PM

Anxiously awaiting Chris Perfetti in "King James" at MTC. It's on Today Tix.

by Anonymousreply 102March 29, 2023 1:39 PM

[quote]And it's a shame because, while the movie wasn't all that great, it was one of the best portrayals of a gay couple I've seen in mainstream films. They just were a couple, a family with a daughter. And that's what they were in the book it was based on, so no one can accuse Night of pandering to any *woke* politics. It also made narrative sense for it to be a gay couple as opposed to straight due to the choice that needed to be made (without going into detail for spoiler reasons).

I agree with most of this, but not the last sentence. The "choice that needed to be made" would be completely nonsensical with ANY sort of couple at the center of the story. I assumed this ridiculous idea must have come from M. Night, but then I read that it's in the source material as well, although there are some HUGE differences in the plot towards the ending.

by Anonymousreply 103March 29, 2023 2:43 PM

So Little Shop is on TKTS for 20% off, the discounted tickets are $103 dollars? Since when did Off Broadway charge $125 bucks?

by Anonymousreply 104March 29, 2023 3:08 PM

Just tell us the plotvtwist or whatever….there’s nothing to spoil about a months-old movie

by Anonymousreply 105March 29, 2023 3:17 PM

r104 Since they could get people to pay that much.

by Anonymousreply 106March 29, 2023 3:29 PM

R104-After Groff left, it was no longer worth seeing.

by Anonymousreply 107March 29, 2023 5:24 PM

[quote] I agree with most of this, but not the last sentence. The "choice that needed to be made" would be completely nonsensical with ANY sort of couple at the center of the story.

Well, that's subjective. If you go along with the plot, then you buy it. If you don't, you don't. The entire plot can be seen as nonsensical. What I was saying was that with a straight couple, the choice would seem more evident because of the way society views motherhood, and women in general. But with two men, it could potentially become much more of a mystery, depending on whether or not the writer does or does not tip the characters' hands and reveal too much about who they are and what their motivations are, which I feel like Night tread it pretty well. I wasn't super surprised by the choice, but it wasn't evident from the very beginning.

by Anonymousreply 108March 29, 2023 6:01 PM

And yes, I know it's OT, so I'll do my best to curb the conversation about it, but I was responding to a direct question.

by Anonymousreply 109March 29, 2023 6:01 PM

Zelma's voice seems like it would still sound contemporary on a Broadway stage...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110March 29, 2023 6:09 PM

[quote]I agree with most of this, but not the last sentence. The "choice that needed to be made" would be completely nonsensical with ANY sort of couple at the center of the story.

[quote]Well, that's subjective. If you go along with the plot, then you buy it. If you don't, you don't. The entire plot can be seen as nonsensical.

Yes, exactly, that's my opinion: The entire plot is nonsensical.

I too am sorry for the OT discussion, but of course it's not completely OT as Groff is primarily a theater star. I hope he gets more leads in more movies with better scripts.

by Anonymousreply 111March 29, 2023 6:20 PM

two insufferable queens carping back and forth is not a "discussion."

by Anonymousreply 112March 29, 2023 6:36 PM

[quote] PRIMA FACIE: "Full producing team announced for ‘Prima Facie’" by Broadway News' Caitlin Hornik - "Joining James Bierman’s Empire Street Productions are Elizabeth Armstrong, Barbara Broccoli, Caiola Productions, Kristin Caskey, Echo Lake Entertainment, Eilene Davidson Productions, Eleanor Lloyd Productions, Faliro House, FilmNation Entertainment, Dale Franzen, L.T.D. Productions Inc., Holly Anderson Levow, Stephanie P. McClelland, Olympus Theatricals, Rachel Sussman and The Shubert Organization."

This is insane as usual.

by Anonymousreply 113March 29, 2023 6:39 PM

For r105.

(Also, unsurprisingly, the ending of the book was better. The movie predictably wouldn't go there, but it was much more interesting and unexpected,and the movie's ending was too cliched.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114March 29, 2023 6:43 PM

[quote]two insufferable queens carping back and forth is not a "discussion."

Are you the "Insufferable" Queen? The one who KEEPS ON USING that word to attack others, even when it doesn't apply? If so, piss off. And though my conversation with the other poster was largely OT, it was indeed an adult conversation, not "carping," which is more your speed.

by Anonymousreply 115March 29, 2023 6:45 PM

On a more relevant note, I've never seen a show at Irish Rep (though I've been interested in a few). What connection does Love Letters have with Ireland? Or is no Irish connection required for shows there?

I like Benanti enough to be interested in this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116March 29, 2023 6:47 PM

Thanks to R114…I now know I didn’t miss anything by skipping the flick.

by Anonymousreply 117March 29, 2023 6:53 PM

Why hasn’t Dancin’ released more video? I’ve only found that original Dancin’ Man piece and yesterday’s underpowered and of course very abridged GMA performance of Sing Sing Sing which didn’t do any justice to the experience in the theater.

Really good video is that show’s only shot I think

by Anonymousreply 118March 29, 2023 7:11 PM

Why doesn't Matthew do Love Letters with his wife? That would be a DRAW!

by Anonymousreply 119March 29, 2023 7:21 PM

Matthew wants to get out of the house.

by Anonymousreply 120March 29, 2023 7:26 PM

....or barn as the case may be.

by Anonymousreply 121March 29, 2023 9:06 PM

Desperate for attention, chapter infinity: white eyeliner

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122March 29, 2023 9:29 PM

[quote] Are you the "Insufferable" Queen? The one who KEEPS ON USING that word to attack others, even when it doesn't apply? If so, piss off. And though my conversation with the other poster was largely OT, it was indeed an adult conversation, not "carping," which is more your speed.

Thank you. I was just about to post something similar. We were having a completely respectful conversation.

by Anonymousreply 123March 29, 2023 9:35 PM

Billy Porter is going on a concert tour.

For when you want to be in an arena even more empty than Ben Platt's shows.

by Anonymousreply 124March 29, 2023 9:36 PM

I found this in the Broadway Sex Thread. Derek Klena refers to Stephanie Block as a *legend.*

Can we just retire all use of this word (as well as "icon") since clearly no one knows what either actually means.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125March 29, 2023 9:40 PM

[quote] two insufferable queens carping back and forth is not a "discussion."

It's wonderful!

And they're not insufferable! Sometimes they only have a minute!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126March 29, 2023 9:41 PM

Not amusing at all, r126.

by Anonymousreply 127March 29, 2023 10:06 PM

[quote]Billy Porter is going on a concert tour.

Interesting. As far as I know, he blew out his singing voice years ago, and now can only sing non-challenging music in a very limited range with no high notes.

by Anonymousreply 128March 29, 2023 10:14 PM

Sourpuss alert at r127!

by Anonymousreply 129March 29, 2023 10:32 PM

I hope he's booked smaller venues than Ben Platt did.

by Anonymousreply 130March 29, 2023 10:36 PM

Billy should hire Jinx Monsoon as their opening act. Jinx sells tickets!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 131March 29, 2023 10:58 PM

You know what Sweeney Todd never needs? A lot of choreography.

by Anonymousreply 132March 29, 2023 11:25 PM

The freewheeling patio number absolutely *does*, r132.

by Anonymousreply 133March 29, 2023 11:27 PM

Not to mention the Beggar Woman's jazz hands every time she sings 'Alms, alms.' Who approved that?

by Anonymousreply 134March 29, 2023 11:35 PM

Does she throw in Luigi arms, r134?

by Anonymousreply 135March 29, 2023 11:38 PM

SHUCKED is fun. Sergius on ATC has spoken.

by Anonymousreply 136March 29, 2023 11:53 PM

I looked, r136. There also appears to be two very diverse opinions on Vanities.

by Anonymousreply 137March 30, 2023 12:25 AM

[quote] Josh Groban actually briefly went to C-M but left as soon as he got a recording contract. So, had he stayed, he actually would have been one of those CCM/C-M grads

DL’s beloved Groff was also set to attend Carnegie Mellon, but then deferred his admission for a year to do a regional tour and never ended up attending.

by Anonymousreply 138March 30, 2023 1:38 AM

Who is mouth-loving the massive Groban dick these days?

by Anonymousreply 139March 30, 2023 1:55 AM

Saw THE THANKSGIVING PLAY tonight and it was a slog. The most amusing part of the evening was some Florida frau (overheard her talk about where she was from pre-show) huffing and puffing out of the theater 2/3rds through the show, but other than that, it was an interminably long SNL sketch. Absolutely nothing to say.

by Anonymousreply 140March 30, 2023 2:22 AM

So josh Groban can do Sweeney 8x/week but bad Cinderella can’t?

by Anonymousreply 141March 30, 2023 2:46 AM

And Annaleigh as stritch would say, it’s not the work it’s the [italic] stairs [/italic]

by Anonymousreply 142March 30, 2023 2:47 AM

There are only 7 performances of Sweeney each week, R141. The opted not to have an alternate because they knew it wouldn't sell.

by Anonymousreply 143March 30, 2023 4:09 AM

Review Roundup says:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144March 30, 2023 4:23 AM

Massive Groban dick?

Hmm, finally something that might make him interesting to me.....

by Anonymousreply 145March 30, 2023 4:27 AM

I saw Sweeney.

Groban has zero gravitas or rage. Ashford is all cartoony business and should have been reined in. Kail’s direction is inept. Set sucks.

No danger, no stakes. Happily, it is the greatest musical ever written, so it can withstand this treatment.

by Anonymousreply 146March 30, 2023 4:27 AM

Josh is horse hung

by Anonymousreply 147March 30, 2023 4:34 AM

"Josh is horse hung"

Shaggy Jewish guys often are; they're also great in the sack.

by Anonymousreply 148March 30, 2023 4:37 AM

Well I'll be!

by Anonymousreply 149March 30, 2023 4:40 AM

[quote] His father is a descendant of Jewish immigrants from Poland and Ukraine. His mother's ancestry includes English, German, and Norwegian.

Yup, between Pole/Ukraine and German, he's got several of the "horsemeat" countries in his tree.

by Anonymousreply 150March 30, 2023 4:42 AM

R134 they should've adjusted it to "palms, palms..."

by Anonymousreply 151March 30, 2023 5:12 AM

Justin Cooley is wonderful in Kimberly Akimbo. He and Vicki Clark are fantastic scene partners. I hope he's recognized during awards season.

by Anonymousreply 152March 30, 2023 5:54 AM

[quote]Christ, Solea Pfeiffer got cast in the all-black Hamlet at Shakespeare in the Park. How the fuck does she keep getting cast? She's horrible.

All-black cast? Where's the diversity?

by Anonymousreply 153March 30, 2023 8:05 AM

How is the chatroom chatter on NYNY?

by Anonymousreply 154March 30, 2023 10:03 AM

[quote] How is the chatroom chatter on NYNY?

Kind of strange. I've been reading, so I will try to encapsulate. The kids at Broadway World mostly seem to like or love it, with a few outliers. All That Chat has been mostly negative, as has Show Score. The detractors seem to feel it's not a disaster, but that it is derivative of other, better shows about New York. Generally, most agree that Act 2 is better than Act 1 and that there are too many storylines. Anna Uzele faring better than Colton Ryan. Some feel Stro has delivered a few big numbers but that they seem almost arbitrary to the show and make it feel like a revue.

by Anonymousreply 155March 30, 2023 1:18 PM

We walked out of Thanksgiving Play at Playwrights Horizons in what seems like eons ago. I don't understand why Second Stage keeps dredging up this crap.

by Anonymousreply 156March 30, 2023 2:17 PM

Hamlet isn't all Black. Greg Hildreth and others. It does seem predominantly Black

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157March 30, 2023 2:47 PM

That SWEENEY review roundup on BroadwayWorld lists both the Variety and Wall Street Journal reviews as "thumbs-up," which I'm sure they were, but then they quote only negative excerpts about Groban's performance. Typical for that site.

by Anonymousreply 158March 30, 2023 3:07 PM

Video: Wesley Taylor taught Meryl Streep the opening dance steps from A Chorus Line:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159March 30, 2023 3:38 PM

SHUCKED just sent out their Tony voter letter a week before opening....Hmmm....

by Anonymousreply 160March 30, 2023 3:51 PM

I ask again, how does Chipoltle ass keep getting hired?

by Anonymousreply 161March 30, 2023 3:56 PM

He knows the opening dance steps from A Chorus Line.

by Anonymousreply 162March 30, 2023 4:15 PM

[quote]You know what Sweeney Todd never needs? A lot of choreography.

You know what Sweeney Todd never needs? Another fucking revival.

by Anonymousreply 163March 30, 2023 4:41 PM

You know what Sweeney Todd needs? A better director than Tommy Kail.

by Anonymousreply 164March 30, 2023 4:44 PM

Reaction to previous thread:

R 15-Cynthia Erivo was incredible onscreen in the underrated “Bad Times at the El Royale.”

I believe Shen Yun raises money for a cult that is anti-gay.

R 72- I realized such a dream in 1998 playing Kim MacAfee in BYE BYE BIRDIE: IN CONCERT WITH AN ALL MALE CAST at Rose’s Turn in the Village. My husband insists it’s the best thing I’ve ever done.

Richard Skipper played Carol as Dolly in Hello Dolly. And Steven Brinberg did the same with Funny Girl. I can’t remember which coast it was on. NJ maybe?

R 238- yes, you are missing something. It’s a sitzprobe. It’s not about acting. It’s just about singing along with the orchestra for the first time.

R 248- that is not how Donica’s hair is styled in the show.

R 567-Just a couple days ago, I got Merrily tix for $89 each at the box office. Don’t buy tickets online. They’re way more expensive. Got tickets for Sweeney for $69 each. If you don’t live in NYC, find someone in NYC to do it for you.

Melchior is absolutely the lead in Spring Awakening. WTF? Not only did Groff gets fans from SA and Hamilton. He also has fans from his 2 TV shows and many films he has starred in. And then there’s Frozen too. Did anyone mention Little Shop was a hit while he was in it too? Oh and his recent movie dethroned Avatar 2 at the box office.

R42- FAT HAM began previews over a week ago.

by Anonymousreply 165March 30, 2023 6:18 PM

My last 2 comments were reactions to this thread

by Anonymousreply 166March 30, 2023 6:19 PM

r166 - Guess what's on all day on ION/Mystery.

by Anonymousreply 167March 30, 2023 6:29 PM

[quote] Guess what's on all day on ION/Mystery.

A miniseries about the continued employment of Wesley Taylor?

by Anonymousreply 168March 30, 2023 6:35 PM

Don't be silly, r168. C-list actor is.

by Anonymousreply 169March 30, 2023 6:49 PM

R165 Why did you put a space between R and the number? If you write them together it automatically links....?

by Anonymousreply 170March 30, 2023 7:17 PM

[quote] Guess what's on all day on ION/Mystery.

Matlock and Touched by an Angel, whatsit got to do with the theah-tuh?

by Anonymousreply 171March 30, 2023 7:19 PM

In Broadway's 'Parade,' Two Husbands Share the Stage — and One Even Understudies the Other:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172March 30, 2023 7:19 PM

As 'Sweeney Todd' returns to Broadway, 4 Sweeneys dish about the difficult role:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173March 30, 2023 7:21 PM

Vanity Fair photographs many of this season's major stars:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174March 30, 2023 7:24 PM

r171 see r169

by Anonymousreply 175March 30, 2023 7:34 PM

R165. Have you been living in a cave? You’re days late and dollars short with your outdated comments.

by Anonymousreply 176March 30, 2023 8:12 PM

[quote][R165] Why did you put a space between R and the number? If you write them together it automatically links....?

It would have linked to the posts in this thread, r170. r165/c-list actor was referring to posts in the THEATRE GOSSIP thread #519. The last post he referenced properly.

[quote]Matlock and Touched by an Angel, whatsit got to do with the theah-tuh?

Was Bones on as well, r171? C-list actor was an ensemble character on that show for many years and has performed on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 177March 30, 2023 8:12 PM

R177 And he is neat.

by Anonymousreply 178March 30, 2023 8:27 PM

R173 -- That NPR reunion between the 4 Sweeneys was a real squandered opportunity. It's a short 7 minute listen and the damn interviewer winds up doing most of the surmising.

I realize it's radio, but this was poorly produced and a missed opportunity. The PR wags behind the revival should've filmed an hour long discussion and put it up on their socials.

by Anonymousreply 179March 30, 2023 8:32 PM

[quote] —Melchior is not “the” lead—is one of multiple leads: George is a cameo

I'll give you one thing, you sure don't give up, even when you're completely wrong.

by Anonymousreply 180March 30, 2023 8:52 PM

The roles of Melchior, Wendla, and Moritz are all leads and close to equal in size and importance, but I suppose it's arguable that Melchior is the central character of SPRING AWAKENING, if only because he's the only one of the three left alive at the end of the musical (and its source material).

by Anonymousreply 181March 30, 2023 9:00 PM

Melchior is the lead. Wendla is the lead female, but most of her story is wrapped up in Melchior. Moritz dies 2/3 of the way in and disappears until the end. He's not a lead.

by Anonymousreply 182March 30, 2023 9:08 PM

Ring a bell, r166?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183March 30, 2023 9:37 PM

woww!

by Anonymousreply 184March 30, 2023 9:51 PM

Why bother linking comments to the former thread at all even if properly linked? As if anyone is going to go back and check.....

by Anonymousreply 185March 30, 2023 10:01 PM

[quote]Melchior is the lead. Wendla is the lead female, but most of her story is wrapped up in Melchior. Moritz dies 2/3 of the way in and disappears until the end. He's not a lead.

Wrong. Moritz is definitely a leading role. Much of the story focuses on him, and he is in several scenes without Melchior. Same for Wendla. You don't know what you're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 186March 31, 2023 2:44 AM

[quote] Wrong. Moritz is definitely a leading role.

John Gallagher Jr’s Featured Actor Tony begs to differ.

by Anonymousreply 187March 31, 2023 2:49 AM

Melchior is the heart and soul of the show, and is definitely the lead.

And Groffy is dreamy as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 188March 31, 2023 2:59 AM

I know it's the first preview, but why does the orchestra sound so lifeless and lumbering? They sound like the pit in a high school production.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189March 31, 2023 3:51 AM

Deadline reviews "Life of Pi":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190March 31, 2023 4:16 AM

R189, I'd guess it's due to it being recorded on some android phone rather than professionally

by Anonymousreply 191March 31, 2023 4:18 AM

This we should be able to comprehend:

As written: three co-leads.

As billed for Tony purposes: two co-leads and one supporting.

As enjoyed by anyone seeing the show: three co-leads.

by Anonymousreply 192March 31, 2023 7:04 AM

Mainstream press always fucks up theatre interviews.

I’m 2006 the NYT did a feature on Barbara Walsh and Elaine Stritch on Joanne in Company that they decided not to run.

Then there was the interview between Patti LuPone and Stephen Sondheim from last year that was actually bland and unconvincing. It takes a special kind of fuck up to make Patti LuPone seem bland

by Anonymousreply 193March 31, 2023 12:04 PM

I saw SHUCKED under duress, and ended up leaving with a big smile on my face. Think it will be a hit.

by Anonymousreply 194March 31, 2023 12:20 PM

Robert Horn is... relentless.

Who's his BF?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195March 31, 2023 12:36 PM

Theatre Twitter has been buzzing about RAGTIME nonstop since Monday.

Who was there?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196March 31, 2023 12:38 PM

This is not a critique of Kelli O’Hara, but Jesus: what a magnificent instrument Marin Mazzie had.

by Anonymousreply 197March 31, 2023 1:12 PM

[quote]John Gallagher Jr’s Featured Actor Tony begs to differ.

Well, Tammy Grimes won a Featured Actress Tony for her huge, leading, title role in THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN, and William Daniels was going to be nominated as Featured Actor for the huge, leading role of John Adams in 1776 but he refused the nom. So your argument is a weak one.

by Anonymousreply 198March 31, 2023 1:17 PM

I did leave SHUCKED at intermission. Not into 2 hours of dad jokes with simple songs between.

by Anonymousreply 199March 31, 2023 2:26 PM

[quote] Wrong. Moritz is definitely a leading role. Much of the story focuses on him, and he is in several scenes without Melchior. Same for Wendla. You don't know what you're talking about.

You're gonna die on that hill, fine, whatever.

Could you hurry it along, Camille?

by Anonymousreply 200March 31, 2023 2:40 PM

There are no leads in "Spring Awakening" Darling, it's an "unsamble" piece.

by Anonymousreply 201March 31, 2023 3:29 PM

Yeah, curious if any of you made it to the Ragtime concert. Seems like it was a special night.

by Anonymousreply 202March 31, 2023 3:33 PM

Speaking of Ragtime, does anyone remember that in the lead up to that year's Tony Awards CBS had commercials for the Tonys running in which the V/O literally said "And... who will win Best Musical? The Lion King or Ragtime?" I mean, of course everyone knew it was between those two shows, but I thought that was so disrespectful to the other nominees. I'm actually surprised they got away with that.

by Anonymousreply 203March 31, 2023 3:36 PM

CBS is trying to make GAYle King the new Walter Cronkite - what do you expect from them?

by Anonymousreply 204March 31, 2023 3:38 PM

I've learned, through working for them and watching them fuck up again and again, to expect absolutely nothing from CBS.

by Anonymousreply 205March 31, 2023 4:15 PM

Not to get involved in the discussion, but the categories were different back when Tammy Grimes or Tom Bosley were playing their leading roles. If you were below the title, you were in the featured category. In fact the year Bosley won for Fiorello, the lead category was called "Musical Star."

by Anonymousreply 206March 31, 2023 4:15 PM

[quote] You're gonna die on that hill, fine, whatever.

Or you both could.

by Anonymousreply 207March 31, 2023 4:32 PM

[quote] Not to get involved in the discussion, but the categories were different back when Tammy Grimes or Tom Bosley were playing their leading roles. If you were below the title, you were in the featured category. In fact the year Bosley won for Fiorello, the lead category was called "Musical Star."

It's still the case that if you are billed below the title, you will be placed in the featured category, unless the producers or general managers ask for special consideration from the Tony Administration Committee for an actor to be moved up to Leading categories (or the reverse, which also happens).

by Anonymousreply 208March 31, 2023 4:36 PM

Yes, r208, but if someone was playing a true lead role such as Molly Brown or Fiorello, they would be over the title now.

by Anonymousreply 209March 31, 2023 4:40 PM

We should be getting the next round of eligibility decisions soon, right?

by Anonymousreply 210March 31, 2023 4:48 PM

What can we expect from Sara Porkalob this year?

by Anonymousreply 211March 31, 2023 5:02 PM

r211 - 75%

by Anonymousreply 212March 31, 2023 5:09 PM

[quote] Or you both could.

There's no "both." There's one person claw clacking about how there's no lead in SA and there are several people explaining to him how that's not the case.

by Anonymousreply 213March 31, 2023 5:13 PM

[quote]Yes, [R208], but if someone was playing a true lead role such as Molly Brown or Fiorello, they would be over the title now.

If you are saying that, back in the day, no Broadway stars in leading roles were billed above the title, you're dead wrong. And P.S., in the opinion of many people, an oddity of FIORELLO! is that the title character is more of a supporting/featured role than a leading one.

by Anonymousreply 214March 31, 2023 5:22 PM

I put a space because those were from a different thread.

by Anonymousreply 215March 31, 2023 5:32 PM

Everyone in Leopoldstadt is featured, right?

by Anonymousreply 216March 31, 2023 5:36 PM

This sounds glorious. I hope we get complete videos of some of these songs released, at least.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217March 31, 2023 5:42 PM

How much money do the SHUCKED producers have to spend on advertising? I can't escape that thing...

by Anonymousreply 218March 31, 2023 5:43 PM

How's Kelli's Back to Before?

by Anonymousreply 219March 31, 2023 6:12 PM

Probably similar to Josh’s Epiphany

by Anonymousreply 220March 31, 2023 6:27 PM

Uh, r214, try reading it again. Broadway stars were always above the title unless they weren't considered stars yet, such as Tammy Grimes and Tom Bosley who were under the title and playing the lead, yet were up for featured. You may not think Fiorello is not the leading character in Fiorello, but most people would. He's in almost every scene.

by Anonymousreply 221March 31, 2023 6:31 PM

Robert Horn’s partner. 24 years together

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222March 31, 2023 6:35 PM

Anniversary post

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223March 31, 2023 6:36 PM

[quote]Uh, [R214], try reading it again. Broadway stars were always above the title unless they weren't considered stars yet, such as Tammy Grimes and Tom Bosley who were under the title and playing the lead, yet were up for featured. You may not think Fiorello is not the leading character in Fiorello, but most people would. He's in almost every scene.

Sorry, the wording of your original post was very confusing. And as for FIORELLO!, although he is in almost every scene, he does comparatively little singing in the show, which is why some people view the role as not equivalent to the leads in other musicals.

And whether or not Tammy Grimes' name was above or below the title for MOLLY BROWN, it was beyond ridiculous for her to be nominated as a featured performer, as that role is clearly, unquestionably, without any doubt whatsoever the lead.

by Anonymousreply 224March 31, 2023 7:43 PM

Robert Horn is a terrible writer.

by Anonymousreply 225March 31, 2023 7:46 PM

Stop the presses. jOH farted

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226March 31, 2023 8:06 PM

[Quote] “I need to get back to my actual writing,” he said, “because while it’s been really exciting to support other people, I am still an artist, you know, so I need to create my art.”

Oh fuck off

by Anonymousreply 227March 31, 2023 8:09 PM

I'm for anything that keeps JOH from writing.

by Anonymousreply 228March 31, 2023 8:13 PM

Robert Horn has been hired for years to write "joke passes" on many Hollywood films and Broadway shows (including Hercules). As we saw in Tootsie, he can't write characters, he writes jokes. They are funny jokes, however.

by Anonymousreply 229March 31, 2023 8:16 PM

I didn't laugh once during Tootsie.

by Anonymousreply 230March 31, 2023 8:17 PM

[quote] I'm for anything that keeps JOH from writing.

Can we somehow get him to stop talking too?

by Anonymousreply 231March 31, 2023 8:34 PM

Kelli O’Hara is great on Gilded Age but her theatre performances leave me cold.

by Anonymousreply 232March 31, 2023 9:24 PM

Yes,, r183! The script said Zack sings “Aquarius” but then the writers went on strike. We finished that episode before picketing with them. The music rights guy came up to me the day before shooting and said “You’re singing Love is A Many Splendored Thing.” So I went home, figured out what part of the song I’d sing. And the rest is history,

by Anonymousreply 233March 31, 2023 11:52 PM

By the way, I played Moritz in the 2001 workshop with Lea, Gavin Creel, and Michael Mayer (in a role that was cut) so I kind of know the show. I’ve read the play too. Melchior is the lead.

by Anonymousreply 234March 31, 2023 11:54 PM

I'm glad they went with Splendored, r233.

by Anonymousreply 235March 31, 2023 11:57 PM

Yes r206- it wasn’t Lead Actor or Actress. It was like you said, it was for Stars.

by Anonymousreply 236April 1, 2023 12:03 AM

R224- as I said, there was no “Lead” Tony. It was called Best Performance by a “Broadway Star.” You can watch this on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 237April 1, 2023 12:11 AM

R232- did you see South Pacific?

by Anonymousreply 238April 1, 2023 12:12 AM

60 TONYS 60

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239April 1, 2023 12:13 AM

Something I can't figure out about NYNY: for years, Freddie and John told anyone who'd listen that their first pass at writing Theme from New York New York failed miserably because they wrote it to be a traditional love-letter to NYC. De Niro correctly identified it as trite, they went off in a huff and came up with something a million times better....and it was specifically their pissed-off energy that gives the song its drive. They've done countless interviews through the years saying this, it's in their autobio, and Lin-Manuel Miranda and John in fact just released a video recreating that exact story with LMM playing De Niro.

So knowing this, why on earth would the creative team make the entire show that builds to the song a traditional love-letter to NYC??? What's onstage, the leading man, the book, and the plotline is missing the energy of the city and the drive that makes the song exciting! It's all so safe and bland.

by Anonymousreply 240April 1, 2023 12:59 AM

[quote]Theatre Twitter has been buzzing about RAGTIME nonstop since Monday.

I bet Lea made it a priority to shit in that little girl's wig.

by Anonymousreply 241April 1, 2023 3:52 AM

THE PEOPLE CALL IT FAG-TIME!

by Anonymousreply 242April 1, 2023 4:39 AM

Hated TOOTSIE, had a great time at SHUCKED, loved John Behlmann in both. Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 243April 1, 2023 4:39 AM

John Behlmann should have a much bigger career than he does. He's hot, has a great body, can sing, and is a great comedy performer. The only person connected with Tootsie who deserved a Tony nomination was him, certainly not the completely forgettable Andy Grotelushen (and the always horrible Sarah Stiles).

by Anonymousreply 244April 1, 2023 4:53 AM

Santino Fontana didn't deserve to win, either. Should've gone to Alex Brightman or Brooks Ashmanskas.

by Anonymousreply 245April 1, 2023 5:04 AM

No, Santino deserved nothing. He's the epitome of bland.

by Anonymousreply 246April 1, 2023 5:13 AM

I've never understood how Burr was a lead in Hamilton. Yeah, he's the antagonist but he's not on stage for large amounts of time. It's an important role and also hard to categorize but...not really a lead. IMO.

Mortiz is also a bit of an odd sized role, too but...

Not a lead. Show centers on Melchior. In a show that is very much an ensemble piece.

by Anonymousreply 247April 1, 2023 5:44 AM

His role seemed more important because LMM can't sing or act well.

by Anonymousreply 248April 1, 2023 6:04 AM

I have a ticket to Camelot on April 15. I am going to sell it when it arrives in my account. Camelot is a special show to me, and I bought it before I knew Sorkin vacuumed out all the magic, pageantry and enchantment. There's a 50/50 chance I will hate it, and I'm not willing to take that risk.

by Anonymousreply 249April 1, 2023 8:37 AM

I suspect your post belongs in one of Datalounge's Underwhelmed thread r249.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250April 1, 2023 9:57 AM

It’s always funny to me when the lady playing Julie in Show Boat is considered for the Lead Actress awards. She sings one song in Act one and then disappears for the rest of the act and is gone for all of act two, except 5 minutes.

And yet somehow she is considered a lead!

by Anonymousreply 251April 1, 2023 11:55 AM

NYNY makes ON THE TOWN seem even more revolutionary 80 years later.

by Anonymousreply 252April 1, 2023 12:05 PM

R223, wow. Hot couple when they were young

by Anonymousreply 253April 1, 2023 12:39 PM

[quote]Moritz is also a bit of an odd sized role, too but...Not a lead. Show centers on Melchior. In a show that is very much an ensemble piece.

It's true that much of the show centers on Melchior, but to repeat, it's also true that there are several scenes that focus on Moritz or Wendla, and in some of those scenes, Melchior is nowhere to be found. So all of this is arguable, but it's foolish for anyone to come right out and flatly declare "Melchior is the leading role" or "Moritz is not a leading role."

by Anonymousreply 254April 1, 2023 2:48 PM

Moritz and Wendla exist in relationship to Melchior. Either could disappear without affecting the other’s story. Only the lead, Melchior is indispensable and only Melchior has a future changed by the drama.

by Anonymousreply 255April 1, 2023 4:00 PM

Moritz is the Carrie Pipperidge of the 2000s!

by Anonymousreply 256April 1, 2023 4:20 PM

Right, 255. Melchior could accurately be described as the protagonist of SPRING AWAKENING, so he is "the lead" in that sense. But the play and the musical are so deeply concerned with and spend so much time on the tragedies of Wendla and Moritz that, in my opinion, they are absolutely leading roles ALSO. They are certainly not featured roles. Understand?

P.S. It's worth noting that the final scene of the original play is quite different than that of the musical, and in the play, Moritz -- or, rather, Moritz's ghost -- is the last one left alone on stage to deliver a heartbreaking monologue.

by Anonymousreply 257April 1, 2023 4:45 PM

[quote]is the last one left alone on stage to deliver a heartbreaking monologue.

I much prefer the freewheeling patio number the musical uses to replace it.

by Anonymousreply 258April 1, 2023 4:49 PM

Suffered through Tootsie. Endured Shucked. The problem with both was the absolute relentlessness of the jokes. They become like comedy pin pricks after awhile, and you just think, WTF? It's all very pavlovian. Tootsie had a sophisticated score; Shucked has a forgettable, country easy-listening one. But it's the same style book for both. Weird.

by Anonymousreply 259April 1, 2023 5:26 PM

Tootsie had a sophisticated score?? Did you forget to take out your air pods that night?

by Anonymousreply 260April 1, 2023 5:30 PM

David Yazbek has written some excellent scores, but "Tootsie" was not one of them.

by Anonymousreply 261April 1, 2023 5:37 PM

Tootsie was a hack job by the entire creative team.

The ultimate example of “we have a title that will sell, so let’s just throw anything on the stage and cash out” syndrome that’s infected Bway lately.

by Anonymousreply 262April 1, 2023 6:00 PM

[quote]we have a title that will sell

Really overestimated that, didn't they?

by Anonymousreply 263April 1, 2023 6:02 PM

Is Shucked a title that will sell? At least more than a $39 ticket?

by Anonymousreply 264April 1, 2023 6:03 PM

I remember on a previous Theatre Gossip thread, someone said they saw Carolee Carmello on some show and they thought it was Big Rosie Greenbaum from Laverne and Shirley. Then someone else chimed in and said she's another in the Broadway tradition of female performers who are wonderful onstage but horrific in front of the camera. If most of these Broadway performers could make money doing TV or movies, they'd do it because the paydays are so much more. DL fave Karen Ziemba is another except I think she's a drag onstage as well.

by Anonymousreply 265April 1, 2023 6:09 PM

is this guy a good theater reviewer?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266April 1, 2023 6:10 PM

"I'm a full time theater critic on YouTube."

His parents must be so proud!

by Anonymousreply 267April 1, 2023 6:19 PM

He seems insufferable but I enjoy him.

by Anonymousreply 268April 1, 2023 6:22 PM

Is he the hidden sibling of Billle Jo, Bobbie Jo and Betty Jo from "Petticoat Junction"? Maybe from "movin' kind of slow" Uncle Joe?

by Anonymousreply 269April 1, 2023 6:59 PM

[quote]He seems insufferable but I enjoy him.

Tell me more about enjoying insufferable people r268.

by Anonymousreply 270April 1, 2023 7:03 PM

One of DL fave Karen Ziemba's best performances captured on camera doing "Sooner or Later" with Bill Irwin at a Sondheim concert.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271April 1, 2023 7:06 PM

R271, that is Exhibit A as to why Ziemba can't get off Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 272April 1, 2023 7:34 PM

He's a bit long-winded, it's become a little too much about his lifestyle but he's all right.

by Anonymousreply 273April 1, 2023 7:35 PM

R272 You know she's playing to a big audience in Carnegie Hall there, not just to a camera?

by Anonymousreply 274April 1, 2023 7:46 PM

R251 I think that Julie is thought of as the lead because the origami Julie Helen Morgan was such a huge singing and I think radio star when Show Boat was written. It would be like casting Celine Dion in a new show - she would get the lions share of the publicity and be thought of as the lead. Poor Helen Morgan was an often sick alcoholic so I other than the “shuffle” spends most of her time singing on a stool. ….. Plus non musical theater fans tend to refer to the “Ava Gardner” Show Boat - not the Kathryn Grayson Show Boat. I know everybody already knows all of this - I can feel the eyeballs rolling!!

by Anonymousreply 275April 1, 2023 7:47 PM

Argh - I wrote Origami Julie instead of Original Julie! I’d like to see an Origami Julie and a Fusilli Gaylord .,,,

by Anonymousreply 276April 1, 2023 7:49 PM

[quote] I can feel the eyeballs rolling!!

Sounds slimy.

by Anonymousreply 277April 1, 2023 7:51 PM

Origami isn't a pasta like Fusilli though...

by Anonymousreply 278April 1, 2023 7:59 PM

[r275] I agree with everything you wrote, it’s just odd to me that when it comes time for awards Lonette McKee was nominated for Lead Actress for the 1983 Tony, the lead Drama Desk nomination for the 1995 revival and Sally Burgess was nominated for the Lead Actress Olivier for the London revival.

by Anonymousreply 279April 1, 2023 8:10 PM

[quote]Is he the hidden sibling of Billle Jo, Bobbie Jo and Betty Jo from "Petticoat Junction"? Maybe from "movin' kind of slow" Uncle Joe?

No, r269, but he has two brothers - Marty-Jo and Moe-Jo.

by Anonymousreply 280April 1, 2023 8:11 PM

Even if SHUCKED gets some solid reviews, I doubt there will be audiences willing to pay more than $75 (if that!) for their best seats for that kind of light-hearted tired businessman show.

At this point in time, can any Broadway musical afford to run on that sort of box office numbers even if they're selling out?

Where are ryhog and NewtonUK to provide the conflicting answers?

by Anonymousreply 281April 1, 2023 8:36 PM

R278 “ Origami Julie” sounded like the bit on Seinfeld when Kramer got into making Pasta Statues. He made a Fusilli Jerry and presented Bette Midler with a “Macaroni Midler.”

by Anonymousreply 282April 1, 2023 8:44 PM

When I first read "Origami Julie" I thought, oh, is that some hip new theatre phrase the cool kids are using now? Then, I remembered I was on DataLounge and it was just some eldergay theatre queen with clumsy fingers.

by Anonymousreply 283April 1, 2023 8:52 PM

Origami Julie is *no* Ikebana Magnolia...

by Anonymousreply 284April 1, 2023 9:02 PM

[quote]Where are ryhog and NewtonUK

A motel in Passaic.

by Anonymousreply 285April 1, 2023 9:08 PM

I did an April fools joke one year re Scott Siegel .... I said that Scott Siegal was going to do a weekend extraganza because someone who was supposed to do that weekend at Town Hall backed out and they were stuck as it was part of Town Halls yearly benefit. No one made a comment. That Monday three days later was "Broadway by the Year" and in the program was an announcement the SIegels were doing a weekend extravaganza. I was fooled and everyone thought I had known about this.

by Anonymousreply 286April 1, 2023 9:17 PM

PorkChop is Origami Julie.

by Anonymousreply 287April 1, 2023 10:04 PM

I think SHUCKED will get solid reviews and WOM will be a big boost. And I predict a passel of Tony nods.

by Anonymousreply 288April 1, 2023 10:22 PM

Karen Z was a terrible Roxie Hart. So miscast.

by Anonymousreply 289April 1, 2023 10:26 PM

Shucked *could* be helped by the limited amount of new scores this season, but they could also turn around and nominate the music from some play, which I always think is a cheat.

by Anonymousreply 290April 1, 2023 10:44 PM

[quote]Plus non musical theater fans tend to refer to the “Ava Gardner” Show Boat - not the Kathryn Grayson Show Boat.

What about US?

by Anonymousreply 291April 1, 2023 10:49 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292April 1, 2023 10:52 PM

[quote] DL fave Karen Ziemba is another except I think she's a drag onstage as well.

That explains why she looks like a man! Karen Ziemba’s a drag queen.

by Anonymousreply 293April 1, 2023 11:16 PM

Franklin, Charley and Mary? Who’s Lead? Who’s Supporting?

by Anonymousreply 294April 1, 2023 11:33 PM

Well, by the rules of C list and his fellow dizzy queens it could only be the role played by J Groff…it is canon.

by Anonymousreply 295April 2, 2023 12:49 AM

R292. Jesus H. Christ, that’s offensive even by 1936 standards…hell, by 1896 standards. I did not really need to see that🤯💩

by Anonymousreply 296April 2, 2023 12:52 AM

Is Irene done, r296?

by Anonymousreply 297April 2, 2023 12:56 AM

R298 “Move Over Darling”

by Anonymousreply 298April 2, 2023 1:05 AM

I'll bet good $$ that SHUCKED will get a best score nom before a play does. The songs are good.

by Anonymousreply 299April 2, 2023 1:23 AM

[quote]Karen Z was a terrible Roxie Hart. So miscast.

Miscast in what way? I didn't see her in the show, but I would think that would be a very good role for her.

by Anonymousreply 300April 2, 2023 3:24 AM

And I am telling you...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301April 2, 2023 3:53 AM

Karen Ziemba is very talented and good in a variety of roles. She was excellent in NY City Opera's production of "110 in the Shade" as Lizzie, great in "Contact", really good (though not given a good 11 o'clock number in 'Steel Pier", and when I went back to see her as the replacement in "Crazy for You", she was so much better than the person who originated the role, that the show took on much more vitality and played even better. She's also a very nice lady, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 302April 2, 2023 4:00 AM

r288, SHUCKED's WOM (word of mouth) so far is pretty middling. There are certainly fans but just as many naysayers.

by Anonymousreply 303April 2, 2023 4:01 AM

[quote]she was so much better than the person who originated the role,

You are far from the only person to feel that way, r302.

by Anonymousreply 304April 2, 2023 4:08 AM

Karen was too perky and squeaky clean for Roxie. Same could be said for Sandy Duncan but she pulled it off beautifully.

by Anonymousreply 305April 2, 2023 4:20 AM

No, Sandy was 20 years too old for Roxie.

by Anonymousreply 306April 2, 2023 4:25 AM

[quote]Franklin, Charley and Mary? Who’s Lead? Who’s Supporting?

I know this is a joke but the NYTW production was the first time I saw Merrily performed, and I was surprised by how small the Charley role is. Friedman makes it clear that this is a story about Franklin and his two friends. The whole show revolves around his character, so much so that it’s really a memory play from his perspective.

While I am sure Groff, Radcliffe and Mendez will all be run as leads for the Tonys, technically Radcliffe and Mendez are really supporting actors in this production.

by Anonymousreply 307April 2, 2023 4:37 AM

[quote] I suspect your post belongs in one of Datalounge's Underwhelmed thread [R249].

Sorry to underwhelm you Mr. Sorkin, but I am on topic here. Why don't you go wha-wha-wha til the DL police show up and delete my post.

Why don't you delete yourself? Permanently, in real life.

Anyway, I listed my ticket for the April 15 matinee on DL for $100 if anyone wants it.

by Anonymousreply 308April 2, 2023 4:44 AM

Aaron Sorkin’s very contemporary book is of a piece with Bartlett Sher’s concept and direction of CAMELOT: It’s all about grounding the story and action as ‘realistically’ as is possible given that this is a fairy tale.

Burnap, Soo and Donica are very conscientious and diligent in constructing their performances, but not a one of them has star quality or magnetism, and while there is romance in the idealism of the story, there is no chemistry between any of the principals. Soo and Danica sing nicely, Burnap sings adequately (barely) but none of them project especially well or really lands their numbers. Sorkin’s updates have just exchanged one set of problems with another, the show is still inwieldly with too many characters and abrupt changes of tone. There is stark elegance in the costumes and some of the imagery, but the stage often looks under-populated so the big numbers don’t pop as they should.

And yet. That idealism for Camelot still comes across and the audience tonight was very enthusiastic. And I found I was happy to see and hear this show again despite the stuff that doesn’t quite connect or catch fire. Face it, it’s always gonna be a problem show with a good score.

by Anonymousreply 309April 2, 2023 5:42 AM

R306. You can never be too old to play Roxie.

by Anonymousreply 310April 2, 2023 11:32 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311April 2, 2023 11:34 AM

r308 you're super crazy. What's Karens? What DL police? Do you think Aaron Sorkin is defensing himself [italic] here [/italic] against the likes of [italic] you [/italic] ? You want him to delete himself because you disagree?

by Anonymousreply 312April 2, 2023 1:06 PM

What Karens, not what's Karens. But you still NUTS

by Anonymousreply 313April 2, 2023 1:07 PM

[quote]While I am sure Groff, Radcliffe and Mendez will all be run as leads for the Tonys, t

I wouldn't be so sure if I were you. I would be willing to bet that both Radcliffe and Mendez will be considered for Tonys as featured actors.

by Anonymousreply 314April 2, 2023 1:52 PM

r314

I agree with you... it's the smartest move

by Anonymousreply 315April 2, 2023 2:01 PM

oh please let's talk about Spring Awakening biting some more okay

by Anonymousreply 316April 2, 2023 2:16 PM

biling. I hate auto correct sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 317April 2, 2023 2:17 PM

Interesting comment from the editor/writer Benjamin Dreyer (Dreyer's English) on CAMELOT:

[quote] New Camelot is about 5 degrees away from being the story of a well-meaning gay man in a politically advantageous marriage who falls hopelessly in love with a beautiful Frenchman and, unable to consummate the passion, pushes the Frenchman on his wife, and his wife on the Frenchman. They should try that. P.S. One of the biggest choices is to remove every iota of magic from the story. I'd have made it about the end of the era of the supernatural (the withdrawal of Merlyn and the debate over the apparent resurrection from the dead toward the end of the first act) and the dawn of (and brutal failure of) pure rationalism, but no one asked me.

by Anonymousreply 318April 2, 2023 2:19 PM

[quote]oh please let's talk about Spring Awakening biting some more okay

[quote]biling. I hate auto correct sometimes.

Somehow, I don’t think autocorrect is the problem here

by Anonymousreply 319April 2, 2023 2:23 PM

Wow, you are a true dickhead R312. You could have ignored my comment but deigned to critique me, and you get defensive when I stand up for myself.

I’d bet dollars to donuts there are more people in your life that hate you more than love you.

You’re pathetic in every conceivable way.

Don’t even respond to this comment, please. Do yourself a big favor and get back to demanding revivals of Follies, which you have fond memories of seeing back in ‘71, when your were 50.

by Anonymousreply 320April 2, 2023 2:28 PM

FYI: You don't seem to know what deign means.

by Anonymousreply 321April 2, 2023 2:30 PM

Just put them on ignore 320. It's not worth it.

by Anonymousreply 322April 2, 2023 2:32 PM

Karen Z is a bore in everything she does. No star quality whatsoever. It might be her meh face

by Anonymousreply 323April 2, 2023 2:41 PM

It's her lopsided titties.

by Anonymousreply 324April 2, 2023 2:42 PM

[quote] After that, with each audition, Winkler wondered whether he should disclose his trans male identity to casting directors.

Yeah, because they'd never know otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 325April 2, 2023 3:10 PM

You fucked it up AGAIN.

by Anonymousreply 326April 2, 2023 3:27 PM

The role of Mary Flynn is typically campaigned as Best Leading Actress

by Anonymousreply 327April 2, 2023 3:43 PM

What about Jenna Russell as Mary in Maria Friedman's London production of MERRILY? Was she nominated for Lead or Featured? Or did this Samantha Spiro person replace Jenna after the Donmar?

by Anonymousreply 328April 2, 2023 3:58 PM

Jenna Russell shouldn't have been nominated for anything. She was fucking dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 329April 2, 2023 4:02 PM

[quote]Tootsie was a hack job by the entire creative team.

Well they did the quick change curtain call well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330April 2, 2023 4:06 PM

The only reason Tootsie's curtain call went over so well was because everyone was thrilled that the evening was finally over.

by Anonymousreply 331April 2, 2023 4:08 PM

Piss off, R331. Although the score was lackluster, TOOTSIE was a very entertaining, hilariously funny show overall, with a wonderful performance by Santino Fontana.

by Anonymousreply 332April 2, 2023 4:45 PM

Samantha Spiro won the lead actress for the 2001 revival. Jenna Russell was nominated for lead actress for the recent revival.

by Anonymousreply 333April 2, 2023 4:48 PM

We've had quite enough bile on the subject of "Spring Awakening" as it is.

by Anonymousreply 334April 2, 2023 4:55 PM

[quote] Piss off, [R331]. Although the score was lackluster, TOOTSIE was a very entertaining, hilariously funny show overall, with a wonderful performance by Santino Fontana.

Who in the production are you related to?

by Anonymousreply 335April 2, 2023 5:07 PM

Sure, and we all know that " a very entertaining, hilariously funny show overall" runs 8 months on Broadway. That's what happens...yes.

Tootsie was misguided from the downbeat. Right composer, wrong book writer, worst director. DOA, and Chris Jones did them a great disservice by giving them a "it's The Producers!" review in CHICAGO. They didn't change hardly anything for New York. After the opening, with no great reviews, they ran a full page Times ad of Carol Burnett saying how much she loved the show.

Carol Fuckin' Burnett...

by Anonymousreply 336April 2, 2023 5:35 PM

I have no love of Tootsie...but what's wrong with Carol Burnett?

Theatergoers tend to be older. Anyone reading the NYT in print is likely older. Anyone who might be interested in a musical based on a nearly 40 year movie that has no relevence to anyone under the age of 45 is definitely older. When you have nothing else, doesn't it make sense to target older people with a reference that means something to them?

by Anonymousreply 337April 2, 2023 6:30 PM

Was the Charley role nominated for Lead?

Radcliffe has been snubbed for a Tony nomination several times, it would be nice to see him rewarded for Merrily. But Groff outperformed him on every level in the off-Broadway production. He would only really be competitive in Featured, unless he gets snubbed again.

by Anonymousreply 338April 2, 2023 6:31 PM

Jenna Russell? The one who was also a dreadful Michelle Watts recast on EE?

by Anonymousreply 339April 2, 2023 6:43 PM

EE? Is that a shoe width?

by Anonymousreply 340April 2, 2023 6:45 PM

[quote]Who in the production are you related to?

Your mother.

Sorry, but that's exactly sort of childish response your childish question deserves.

by Anonymousreply 341April 2, 2023 8:16 PM

[quote]Sure, and we all know that " a very entertaining, hilariously funny show overall" runs 8 months on Broadway. That's what happens...yes.

I meant that the show was very entertaining and hilariously funny IN MY OPINION, to which I am entitled and in which I am far from alone. Lots of good shows have not lasted long on Broadway -- can you possibly be unaware of this?

[quote]Tootsie was misguided from the downbeat. Right composer, wrong book writer, worst director.

Not only do I disagree with you about the quality of the show overall, we don't even agree on the one thing you liked about it. I thought Yazbek's score was the weakest element of the show, and again, many people seemed to share my feelings, so in this opinion you definitely seem to be in the minority.

by Anonymousreply 342April 2, 2023 8:21 PM

[quote] Sorry, but that's exactly sort of childish response your childish question deserves.

I would expect nothing else from someone who thought Tootsie: The Musical was quality.

by Anonymousreply 343April 2, 2023 8:45 PM

[quote]I would expect nothing else from someone who thought Tootsie: The Musical was quality.

I never used the word "quality," but to repeat, I did find it very entertaining and funny. And judging from the audience response at the performance I attended, I was by no means alone in my feelings. So you're entitled to your opinion, but please stop shitting on the opinion of others, because it makes you sound like an insufferable asshole.

by Anonymousreply 344April 2, 2023 9:03 PM

I agree--I could not believe how Radcliffe disappeared on stage in the NYTW production. He's physically slight, of course, but he just wasn't there after "Franklin Shepherd, Inc." I can't stop thinking about it, because I like him as an actor so much. But Groff and Mendez blew him away. I think it's a directorial issue as well--there was a clear decision to put Groff at center, rather than a trio, which is what I think the authors wanted originally.

by Anonymousreply 345April 2, 2023 9:04 PM

[quote] So you're entitled to your opinion, but please stop shitting on the opinion of others, because it makes you sound like an insufferable asshole.

I can imagine what sitting next to you at the theater would be like.

Also, since you haven't figured it out yet, there are at least 2-3 posters in this thread complaining about the quality of Tootsie. I should know since I'm one of them and all the posts aren't mine.

Yet, here you are, the lone Tootsie defender.

by Anonymousreply 346April 2, 2023 9:08 PM

[quote]I think it's a directorial issue as well--there was a clear decision to put Groff at center, rather than a trio, which is what I think the authors wanted originally.

Other than the focus on Groff as Frank at the very start of the production, when he enters alone, can you explain what you mean by this comment? Because, after that opening moment, I didn't get that from this production at all. On the contrary, I think the focus was very much on the three leads, as it should be. I did feel there was way too much focus on the character of Gussie, but that's mostly because her role has been expanded so much over the years -- to the show's detriment, in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 347April 2, 2023 9:10 PM

[quote]the lone Tootsie defender

What is the place of this character in the Marvel universe?

by Anonymousreply 348April 2, 2023 9:13 PM

[quote]But Groff and Mendez blew him

Pics please!

by Anonymousreply 349April 2, 2023 9:14 PM

Can NYC ban drag musicals on Broadway for a while? They're all so tiresome and redundant.

by Anonymousreply 350April 2, 2023 9:17 PM

You could choose not to attend r350.

by Anonymousreply 351April 2, 2023 9:18 PM

No shit, R351. You could also choose not to reply to comments you don't like.

It seems we have an abundance of dumb cunts on this thread today.

by Anonymousreply 352April 2, 2023 9:21 PM

[quote]You could also choose not to reply to comments you don't like.

Just exactly how hard is it to see with that log in your eye?

by Anonymousreply 353April 2, 2023 9:24 PM

[quote]It seems we have an abundance of dumb cunts on this thread today.

R352 lives in a glass house, if you know what I mean.

by Anonymousreply 354April 2, 2023 9:44 PM

Wow, a Tootsie spat! One never knows where these threads will take us.

by Anonymousreply 355April 2, 2023 9:47 PM

There are more people squabbling over Tootsie in here than attended it on Broadway!

by Anonymousreply 356April 2, 2023 10:31 PM

There's nothing I'm looking forward to more than the next 240+ posts of "You're wrong!" "No, YOU'RE wrong!"

by Anonymousreply 357April 2, 2023 11:15 PM

Poor Andrew Rannells. He was the only lead of the Tammy Faye musical that lost the Olivier. Now he is a two time Tony loser and Olivier loser.

by Anonymousreply 358April 2, 2023 11:19 PM

Any other feedback about Thanksgiving Play? All I'm hearing is: Gobble Gobble

by Anonymousreply 359April 2, 2023 11:50 PM

Girls! Girls! You're both heinous cunts!

by Anonymousreply 360April 3, 2023 12:53 AM

Friday night I saw the final performance of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof at the theater at Saint Clements. It was a pretty good production, but the curious thing is that the Cat at the center was very underwhelming and the real stars of the show were Brick and Big Daddy; their their act two scene together was very exciting and moving. Big Mama and Sister Woman also stood out.

Sorry that Cat wasn’t as convincing. I know that previous Cats are big slips/lingerie to fill but this Cat wasn’t up to the task.

by Anonymousreply 361April 3, 2023 2:18 AM

Jodie Comer just won the Olivier for Prima Facie but I really wonder if the show will be as hot a ticket, even with great reviews, as their outrageous prices seem to indicate. Not that it/she aren't good, but do many people here really know her or want to see her in a one person show or even know what Prima Facie means? And those publicity photos of Jodie in her magistrate's wig aren't exactly peaking my interest.

But what do I know? Is it selling well?

by Anonymousreply 362April 3, 2023 2:26 AM

[quote]I know that previous Cats are big slips/lingerie to fill

Marjorie Main's comes to mind.

by Anonymousreply 363April 3, 2023 2:45 AM

I like Santino Fontana.

by Anonymousreply 364April 3, 2023 2:55 AM

Anyone seen the Zadie Smith play at BAM or the play about using Grindr in India at Soho Rep? Either worth seeing?

by Anonymousreply 365April 3, 2023 3:30 AM

I think you answered your own question, R365.

by Anonymousreply 366April 3, 2023 3:32 AM

Ha. Touché, R366. Still... interested in hearing from anyone who's seen either production.

by Anonymousreply 367April 3, 2023 3:39 AM

The Mescal-led Streetcar is totally going to do a limited engagement on Broadway, right?

by Anonymousreply 368April 3, 2023 4:00 AM

Has Bad Cinderella Closed?

by Anonymousreply 369April 3, 2023 4:13 AM

R362. It is a barrister’s wig not a “magistrate’s wig.”

by Anonymousreply 370April 3, 2023 8:31 AM

R362 She shows clearly she is not a trained actress.

by Anonymousreply 371April 3, 2023 9:31 AM

Gwen Verdon was 50 when she originated Roxie in the musical. Her age isn’t important.

by Anonymousreply 372April 3, 2023 10:49 AM

[quote]And those publicity photos of Jodie in her magistrate's wig aren't exactly peaking my interest.

Dorothy, just because you have to walk around lookin' like an English lawyer doesn't mean everybody has to.

by Anonymousreply 373April 3, 2023 11:35 AM

If EVITA came out today, Che would be nominated in Lead Actor.

He has as many songs and stage time as Eva. Perhaps a smidge more.

Mandy Patinkin won in Featured Actor and Patti LuPone won Lead Actress.

Neither was billed above the title.

by Anonymousreply 374April 3, 2023 11:40 AM

FYI: Lucy Mame is free to watch on YouTube's Movie & TV Channel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 375April 3, 2023 12:01 PM

[quote] The Mescal-led Streetcar is totally going to do a limited engagement on Broadway, right?

Can the Irish leprechaun do an American accent convincingly?

by Anonymousreply 376April 3, 2023 1:05 PM

Mescal's American accent in STREETCAR is impeccable, as were all the UK actors in the production. Those young actors really get great training in speech and dialects these days, as seen on so much US TV and film, as well as stage, where they're cast as Americans. Patsy Ferran made a choice not to go too heavy on a Southern accent and IMHO it really helped the characterization. There was little languid posturing in her Blanche, much more of a fevered energy and intensity that kept driving the play forward. A revelation seeing a 30 year old actress play a 30 year old character. And I've seen numerous productions over 40 years but not until this production did I realize how much more stage time Blanche has than Stanley.

Mescal's film schedule seems to be so crowded I can't imagine there's room for a NY run.

by Anonymousreply 377April 3, 2023 1:18 PM

Tootsie is now traveling across America in a Non-Equity tour that is getting pallid reviews and weak box office everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 378April 3, 2023 1:34 PM

TOOTSIE Food Fight!

by Anonymousreply 379April 3, 2023 2:01 PM

The Sign in Sidney Brustein's window is announcing they're going to the JONES today -- opening before the Tony cut off. Thoughts DLers?

by Anonymousreply 380April 3, 2023 2:03 PM

[quote] Tootsie is now traveling across America in a Non-Equity tour that is getting pallid reviews and weak box office everywhere.

That poor thing is still going? I would have thought they'd have put it out of its misery by now. When it played in LA, you couldn't give tickets away.

by Anonymousreply 381April 3, 2023 2:36 PM

Does anyone know if Jessica Lange went to see 'Tootsie' on Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 382April 3, 2023 2:55 PM

I'll bet even Ellen Foley didn't go see Tootsie on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 383April 3, 2023 2:58 PM

Love Ellen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 384April 3, 2023 3:36 PM

R380 I saw Sidney Braustein at BAM—the second act was interminable. Rachel Brosnahan and Miriam Silverman were great. Oscar Isaac had his moments.

by Anonymousreply 385April 3, 2023 3:49 PM

At Tootsie, Melchior has better seats than Moritz.

by Anonymousreply 386April 3, 2023 4:21 PM

Tootsie made Moritz kill himself.

by Anonymousreply 387April 3, 2023 4:26 PM

'Brustein's' set can be elevated even higher from the stage in a proper Broadway house.

by Anonymousreply 388April 3, 2023 4:27 PM

I think it would be hilarious if they did this for the sole purpose of nominations and then the production didn’t receive a single one.

by Anonymousreply 389April 3, 2023 4:32 PM

They could never pull it off in less than 4 weeks to qualify for the Tonys.

by Anonymousreply 390April 3, 2023 4:39 PM

[quote]And those publicity photos of Jodie in her magistrate's wig aren't exactly peaking my interest.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 391April 3, 2023 4:51 PM

[quote] It is a barrister’s wig not a “magistrate’s wig.”

Hey, a wig's a wig.

by Anonymousreply 392April 3, 2023 4:52 PM

Do people who get cast (or "casted," as some of you prefer) in "Tootsie" proclaim they got a Tootsie role?

by Anonymousreply 393April 3, 2023 4:52 PM

One's interest is

PIQUED

not

"peaked"

by Anonymousreply 394April 3, 2023 4:54 PM

"Miss Channing is ageless."

by Anonymousreply 395April 3, 2023 5:03 PM

Not THIS Miss Channing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 396April 3, 2023 5:17 PM

Did someone say my name?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397April 3, 2023 5:19 PM

Or mine?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 398April 3, 2023 5:21 PM

Why does that Carol Channing dummy look like Betty White?

by Anonymousreply 399April 3, 2023 5:22 PM

[quote] Why does that Carol Channing dummy look like Betty White?

Why does that doll looke likt Katie Finneran?

by Anonymousreply 400April 3, 2023 5:26 PM

I wonder if a big part of the appeal of Sydney Brustein was seeing it at Bam, for double hipster, cognoscenti points. I wonder if Broadway will reduce its luster.

by Anonymousreply 401April 3, 2023 5:30 PM

Is this doll better or worse?

I think she might frighten small children.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 402April 3, 2023 5:33 PM

Rachel Brosnahan has a substantial fandom from MRS. MAISEL, so I think there's an audience. And Oscar Isaac, of course.

by Anonymousreply 403April 3, 2023 5:34 PM

Actually, r396, that's the best photo I've seen of Stockard in some time.

by Anonymousreply 404April 3, 2023 5:47 PM

Doll #1 looks like Glenn Close. Doll #2 looks like Georgia Engel after she has been dabbling in the Ben Nye.

by Anonymousreply 405April 3, 2023 5:50 PM

Who names their kid Stockard?

by Anonymousreply 406April 3, 2023 5:50 PM

R406 No one, it's a stage name.

by Anonymousreply 407April 3, 2023 5:52 PM

Who names their kid Sigourney, r406?

by Anonymousreply 408April 3, 2023 5:57 PM

ALSO a stage name.

by Anonymousreply 409April 3, 2023 5:58 PM

Really, r409? Who knew?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 410April 3, 2023 5:59 PM

Dolly Doolittle? Eliza Levi?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 411April 3, 2023 6:07 PM

[quote]r225 Robert Horn is a terrible writer.

I thought this said WAITER.

by Anonymousreply 412April 3, 2023 6:11 PM

Susan is the real first name of Stockard Channing and Sigourney Weaver.

What was their beef with that name?

by Anonymousreply 413April 3, 2023 6:13 PM

[quote]Is this doll better or worse?

The doll at R402 looks more like Shari Lewis than Carol Channing. Whether that makes it better or worse is hard to say.

by Anonymousreply 414April 3, 2023 6:15 PM

R413 Who knows?

by Anonymousreply 415April 3, 2023 6:17 PM

Excuse me, r414, ex-c-u-u-u-s-e me. *This* is a Shari Lewis doll...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 416April 3, 2023 6:19 PM

[quote]Excuse me, R414, ex-c-u-u-u-s-e me. *This* is a Shari Lewis doll...

I would have guessed a young Ann Miller.

by Anonymousreply 417April 3, 2023 6:22 PM

The only other play revival this season is that crappy Doll's House so I think Sidney Brustein has a good chance of taking the Tony, especially of voters want to reward the ghost of Lorraine Hansberry. The Lead Actor in a Play is also iffy this season so Oscar might have a good chance winning, too.

I'm excited to have a second chance to see it. I passed on it at BAM because I didn't want to schlep to Brooklyn where I lived throughout the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 418April 3, 2023 6:23 PM

[quote]I would have guessed a young Ann Miller.

Oh, honey...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 419April 3, 2023 6:25 PM

Winners of this year's Kleban Prize for new musical writers. At $100K per, it's a nice little chunk of change, as these things go.

(Just noting that they're both white cis men. No further comment from me...)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 420April 3, 2023 6:29 PM

worst thread ever?

by Anonymousreply 421April 3, 2023 6:42 PM

[quote]I think it would be hilarious if they did this for the sole purpose of nominations and then the production didn’t receive a single one.

Weren't the reviews for "Brustein" just kind of meh? I would think of this as not being very threatening to the Tony prospects of "Doll's House," which got fairly glowing reviews if I'm not mistaken. And Jessica Chastain's Oscar should trump Rachel Brosnahan's Emmy in the race for lead actress in a play.

by Anonymousreply 422April 3, 2023 6:49 PM

[quote]worst thread ever?

Are you new here, r421? It's not even the worst THEATRE GOSSIP thread ever.

For fun, here's Victor Garber hosting the Tonys as Applegate from Damn Yankees. At the very end, Gwen Verdon and Jean Stapleton flank George Abbot, who was only a few weeks shy of 107.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 423April 3, 2023 7:01 PM

That doll looks like a dollar store G.

Then again, G always looks like a dollar store G, so....

by Anonymousreply 424April 3, 2023 7:06 PM

[quote] I would think of this as not being very threatening to the Tony prospects of "Doll's House," which got fairly glowing reviews if I'm not mistaken. And Jessica Chastain's Oscar should trump Rachel Brosnahan's Emmy in the race for lead actress in a play.

I don't think any of the Doll's House reviews were really flat out raves, though it received some generally positive notices, while others were much more mixed. Even those that admired Jamie Lloyd's approach felt that the play also suffers to some degree as a result of his cold, clinical aesthetic, and that it was the least rewarding of his recent productions that played New York (meaning Betrayal and Cyrano). The show is also sort of flatlining, with good but not great business.

Further, I think the Best Actress race is not really Chastain vs. Brosnahan (if her play moves). I expect everyone will lose to Jodie Comer.

by Anonymousreply 425April 3, 2023 7:07 PM

Neil Patrick Harris Joins Broadway’s ‘Peter Pan Goes Wrong’ For Limited Guest Star Run:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 426April 3, 2023 7:08 PM

Peter Pan Goes Wrong should have been the title of NPH's autobiography.

by Anonymousreply 427April 3, 2023 7:11 PM

Tootsie was so obviously a money grab, desperate to attract tourists to pay ridiculous prices because they know the name of the movie.

Everything about the production was subpar

by Anonymousreply 428April 3, 2023 7:16 PM

I sure hope that if there are only two eligible productions for Best Play Revival that they just skip the whole category. They never should have made separate categories for Revival.

by Anonymousreply 429April 3, 2023 7:19 PM

Actually, I forgot but this season also included the revivals of Death of a Salesman, Top Dog/Under Dog and The Piano Lesson. But if I forgot them, so will the voters. I still think voters will want to reward the home-grown Sidney and Lorraine rather than that still-born pretentious Nora and Henrik.

by Anonymousreply 430April 3, 2023 7:38 PM

Ah, okay. I thought it seemed strange that there were only two candidates. But I'm not going to be in NYC at all this whole season, so I haven't been paying as much attention.

by Anonymousreply 431April 3, 2023 8:11 PM

Salesman and Piano Lesson were not great, but Topdog was as good as, and in some ways, better than the original production. I haven't forgotten it at all.

by Anonymousreply 432April 3, 2023 8:11 PM

R411 it’s the Sally Ann Howes / Edward Mulhare doll. Tip Sally Ann upside down and flatten her dress and you will find “”Ascot Edward.”

by Anonymousreply 433April 3, 2023 8:26 PM

Poor Stockard Channing. Takes the surname of her husband and then they divorce and she has to carry that name around for professional purposes.

by Anonymousreply 434April 3, 2023 8:31 PM

R411 why did they give the Carol Channing doll the famous Ascot Gavotte gown?

by Anonymousreply 435April 3, 2023 8:33 PM

If Stockard Channing married Sybil Danning they'd be the Channing-Dannings.

by Anonymousreply 436April 3, 2023 8:34 PM

[quote] Neil Patrick Harris Joins Broadway’s ‘Peter Pan Goes Wrong’ For Limited Guest Star Run:

Christ! The first Goes Wrong play was funny, but we’re now, what, five installments in? Their shtick has long outlived its usefulness.

by Anonymousreply 437April 3, 2023 8:35 PM

Hello gorgeous!

Since we're comparing....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 438April 3, 2023 8:35 PM

Did they just add a Streisand nose to their Cybill Shepard doll?

by Anonymousreply 439April 3, 2023 8:41 PM

Someone please tell Michael Mayer that even this FUNNY GIRL feels more lifelike and animated than his.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 440April 3, 2023 8:46 PM

[quote]Poor Stockard Channing. Takes the surname of her husband and then they divorce and she has to carry that name around for professional purposes.

So what? Who cares?

by Anonymousreply 441April 3, 2023 8:46 PM

[quote][R411] why did they give the Carol Channing doll the famous Ascot Gavotte gown?

I'm guessing they had already done a My Fair Lady doll, r435, and they had all the fabric and trims left over and needed to use them up. They figured they were both oldy-timey and nobody would notice.

by Anonymousreply 442April 3, 2023 8:48 PM

R434 well, she used her surname Stockard as her first name, so she was in dire need of a new last name.

by Anonymousreply 443April 3, 2023 8:48 PM

Stockard Stoppard?

by Anonymousreply 444April 3, 2023 8:49 PM

[quote]r413 Susan is the real first name of Stockard Channing and Sigourney Weaver. What was their beef with that name?

Ever since childhood I’ve experienced an almost visceral rejection of the name Susan. (Maybe because I never knew one.) There’s no imagery associated with it… though now that I think of it, there WAS Susan B. Anthony.

Suzanne is okay, but Susan is bland and stupid.

by Anonymousreply 445April 3, 2023 8:58 PM

R385 I had the complete opposite experience. It felt like the second act flew by after the never-ending first act, and I thought Oscar was better than Rachel (though both deserve Tony nominations. I did get Katya Campbell instead of Miriam Silverman for Mavis, and it felt like the strength was more in the part than in the performance.

by Anonymousreply 446April 3, 2023 9:25 PM

[quote]Suzanne is okay, but Susan is bland and stupid.

At least it's not Karen.

by Anonymousreply 447April 3, 2023 9:28 PM

Thanks for the posts with images of the different dolls (not those Neely!). That Ann Miller has quite the "crotch forward" pose... did Ann ever put it out there in such a vulgar manner?

And that Streisand! Tits up bitch! Tits up! Impressive.

by Anonymousreply 448April 3, 2023 9:30 PM

One of the leads is out of Camelot until the 11th, but I don't know which one. I'm going Wednesday night. Anybody have info?

by Anonymousreply 449April 3, 2023 9:49 PM

Will they? Won't they? Do they? Don't they?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 450April 3, 2023 10:23 PM

R449 nothing on the theater boards yet. I saw the show yesterday and everyone was in it.

by Anonymousreply 451April 3, 2023 10:46 PM

I was gifted with 2 comps for CAMELOT for this Friday night which I assumed was because it's a critics' performance. Is it not? Or is it a Jewish holiday??

by Anonymousreply 452April 3, 2023 10:59 PM

This is the week leading up to Easter. I had no idea anyone in Camelot was such a devout Christian.

by Anonymousreply 453April 3, 2023 11:13 PM

I'm gonna drum you right off DL, r445.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 454April 3, 2023 11:20 PM

Well, the theater news day is over, and no Sidney Brustein announcement...just a rumor?

by Anonymousreply 455April 3, 2023 11:36 PM

Have you checked his window?

by Anonymousreply 456April 3, 2023 11:41 PM

Okay, that clip at R440 was quite adorable. Which one of you bitches did it?

by Anonymousreply 457April 4, 2023 12:06 AM

Fuck equity and their strike

by Anonymousreply 458April 4, 2023 12:45 AM

[quote] Well, the theater news day is over, and no Sidney Brustein announcement...just a rumor?

It is being announced tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 459April 4, 2023 1:45 AM

[quote]Actually, I forgot but this season also included the revivals of Death of a Salesman, Top Dog/Under Dog and The Piano Lesson. But if I forgot them, so will the voters.

Umm, the voters won't forget them, because they will have been reminded by the nominators. What a strange comment.

by Anonymousreply 460April 4, 2023 2:18 AM

Today is April 3. If one of the leads in CAMELOT is going to be out of the show until the 11th, can we assume it's COVID?

by Anonymousreply 461April 4, 2023 2:20 AM

Damn. This dude can sing! Makes me want to find (a cheap) ticket to Shucked.

And, don't come from me. Newell (is perhaps a touch greedy) and uses all pronouns (she/he/they).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 462April 4, 2023 3:08 AM

Will it have a folksy appeal like Pump Boys/Dinettes?

by Anonymousreply 463April 4, 2023 3:50 AM

She's too thin.

U.S. PREMIERE

AVA: THE SECRET CONVERSATIONS

04.04 – 05.07.2023

WRITTEN BY

ELIZABETH MCGOVERN

DIRECTED BY

MORITZ VON STUELPNAGEL

BASED ON THE BOOK “THE SECRET CONVERSATIONS” BY

PETER EVANS & AVA GARDNER

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 464April 4, 2023 4:18 AM

Cousin Cora playing Ava? That's a laugh.

by Anonymousreply 465April 4, 2023 4:26 AM

Eldergays, tell us about Titanic. What were your thoughts on the score, the show overall, the scenic design? Was it a punchline before it became a hit? Or... whatever you call a respectable two-year run and the Best Musical Tony.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 466April 4, 2023 5:15 AM

Too thin? At 61, Elizabeth McGovern is too damn OLD to play Ava Gardner, unless the story is about her making EARTHQUAKE in 1974.

She's also lacks Gardner's glamour or acting chops.

by Anonymousreply 467April 4, 2023 5:17 AM

I think some of TITANIC's score (by Maury Yeston) is actually quite lovely. The book (by Peter Stone) is pretty terrible (and as I recall, was extensively revised in previews).

The direction and production design remain among the worst I've ever seen for a major Bway musical. The sets and costumes were hideous. The staging of the ship tilting and sinking were laughably bad.

I don't know if it's salvageable (hah!) as a stage musical, but I'd see it again if someone gave it an overhaul.

by Anonymousreply 468April 4, 2023 5:22 AM

r122 Oh leave Billy alone. Let him have his fun with his eyeliner and tour and whatever else. With the way the GOP is coming after gay people, we're lucky to have someone like him living his best life. Is it a bit much? Sure, fine, but christ, he's put in the years. Let him enjoy himself! Better that than him pulling a Liberace and living in the closet, right?

Yeah, r128, it's true his voice doesn't have anywhere near the range it once did...so for him to aim to tour and become "the male Whitney Houston" is like...maaaaybe 20 years too late for that. But maybe he'll hoarse his way through something decent on tour. He's still crazy talented even with a reduced range. Hell, he SHOULD have had a bigger career given his range and ability years ago. And if Barbra and Judy and so many others can tour when their best vocal years are behind them, why can't Billy?

by Anonymousreply 469April 4, 2023 5:29 AM

How DID the ship sink and tilt, r468?

All I remember is that Rosie O kept plugging this show on her talk show, but I didn't see the appeal. The timing of it was suspect, after the success of the film. It felt tacky, like the multiple Phantoms that popped up after ALW's success...

by Anonymousreply 470April 4, 2023 5:31 AM

anyone think there'll be a Dancin' cast recording this time around?

by Anonymousreply 471April 4, 2023 5:53 AM

Who is in Little Shop of Horrors right now and are they good?

Was thinking of seeing the show in 2 weeks but wanted to see a good, solid, belty Audrey. If Audrey ain't good, the show ain't good, you know?

by Anonymousreply 472April 4, 2023 6:26 AM

R472 Audrey is a nepo baby.

by Anonymousreply 473April 4, 2023 6:28 AM

[quote]All I remember is that Rosie O kept plugging this show on her talk show, but I didn't see the appeal. The timing of it was suspect, after the success of the film. It felt tacky, like the multiple Phantoms that popped up after ALW's success.

The TITANIC musical preceded the James Cameron film.

It had been in the works ever since the wreckage was discovered in 1985 and finally premiered in April 1997.

In June, it won all the 5 Tonys it was nominated for -- Best Musical, Best Book, Best Original Score, Best Scenic Design, Best Orchestrations.

Cameron began working on the TITANIC script in 1995 after visiting the underwater site.

Principal photography was from September 1996 to March 1997.

The film was slated for a July '97 release, but it went overbudget so it was moved to December. And the rest is history.

by Anonymousreply 474April 4, 2023 10:59 AM

[quote]And the rest is history.

Rather dull history.

by Anonymousreply 475April 4, 2023 11:01 AM

R472

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 476April 4, 2023 11:03 AM

Geez, can we go back to Follies rather than talking about hideous dolls?

by Anonymousreply 477April 4, 2023 11:04 AM

Or perhaps Follies dolls?

by Anonymousreply 478April 4, 2023 12:23 PM

Is Barbie a Sally Doll or a Phyllis Doll?

by Anonymousreply 479April 4, 2023 12:27 PM

Anyone know why there is no longer a Tony for Orchestrations? I'm reluctant to post on ATC and get a thousand-word answer from Alan Scott.

by Anonymousreply 480April 4, 2023 12:39 PM

They are announcing the new Audrey today and Twitter is convinced it’s MJ Rodriguez.

I guess they want that Jinxx Monsoon money.

by Anonymousreply 481April 4, 2023 12:44 PM

It's happening...and it's getting in, in time for the Tonys.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 482April 4, 2023 12:49 PM

Only 80 performances? Who do they think they are? Jodie Comer?

by Anonymousreply 483April 4, 2023 12:57 PM

That number at the beginning of TITANIC of everyone boarding the ship was thrilling, especially knowing what fate had in store. The rest of the musical was indeed wonky.

by Anonymousreply 484April 4, 2023 1:17 PM

So basically a last minute Tony grab. I hope this backfires on them. But it won’t. The Tonys are notorious star-fuckers

by Anonymousreply 485April 4, 2023 1:49 PM

The girl from Shucked was pretty good, but I just can't bring myself to see it, even if the reviews are decent. I've been duped too many times (CONTACT being the ultimate dupe - the Emperor's New Clothes of musicals)

by Anonymousreply 486April 4, 2023 1:53 PM

R466 In 1997 TITANIC was absolutely a punchline before it was a "hit." Coming in, the jokes about a disaster of a musical wrote themselves. The rumor mill was going overtime that they had a lot of tech trouble in previews, with writing cuts and changes coming pretty much up to the day the show was frozen. They even changed the logo. So there was a lot of whispered gossip about how bad things were going at the theatre.

The original Broadway production of TITANIC wasn't a financial hit, though those original investors must have recouped by now from subsequent productions. It ran nearly two years on Broadway. But if you go back and read the initial set of Broadway reviews, they aren't as enthusiastic as one might think.

Brantley/NYT, linked below, said, " 'Titanic,' which opened on schedule last night at the Lunt-Fontanne Theater, doesn't sink. Unfortunately, that is also probably the most exciting thing that can be said about it. At its worst, this extremely ambitious, er, vehicle is simply hokey and stereotyped; at its best, it's an admirably efficient piece of narrative, able to squeeze in a vast roster of characters, assorted chunks of technological and historical information, slews of statistics and themes ranging from class conflict to human hubris, all with minimal confusion."

Arguably, Rosie O'Donnell "made" that show with her relentless plugging which seemed to be borne from a genuine enthusiasm for the show. There's no question that helped them get the Tony, and once they had that, they were far better set on the path to success. It was the beginning of her show's power and people realizing that suddenly Broadway had a regular national television advocate again on a show that a lot of people who fit the Broadway demographic watched. Coming out of some very rough years, the theatre community was all about getting on board with Rosie's show.

Of all the major musicals that year, THE LIFE, STEEL PIER, JEKYLL & HYDE - it was THE LIFE that received far more Tony nominations and won the other Best Musical awards: Drama Desk, the Drama League, and the Outer Critics Circle. But its subject matter wasn't family friendly/educational, nor did it feel prestigious and historical like TITANIC did.

JEKYLL ran the longest of them all, but its original production also closed at a financial loss/without recouping. JUAN DARIEN was the other nominee (beside THE LIFE, STEEL PIER, and TITANIC) to keep JEKYLL from getting a slot.

The Cameron film's release was, at the time, the biggest blockbuster film ever. It came out in December 1997--after the Tonys where the show won, but while the Broadway production was still running, so the runoff interest from the movie certainly gave the kind of box office jolt even money can't buy.

THE LIFE became even more of an also ran when it simply did not get the regional, stock, community theatre, and school productions (or performances of its music). Decent-to-top-quality regional productions of TITANIC have popped up, not all the time, but with some regularity. I'm not sure if THE LIFE even did a first national tour. TITANIC certainly did, and then some non-union tours after that. It's certainly the best-regarded musical from that season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 487April 4, 2023 2:16 PM

There have been clips of regional productions of TITANIC (some of them immersive--ha ha) that seem to grant the show a longer life than was originally predicted. I enjoyed it onstage and play the CD frequently.

by Anonymousreply 488April 4, 2023 2:21 PM

[quote] The timing of it was suspect, after the success of the film.

Titanic the movie opened on December 19, 1997

Titanic the musical had been playing on Broadway for almost eight months by then, having opened on April 23, 1997

by Anonymousreply 489April 4, 2023 2:23 PM

Signature Theater did a decent job addressing the physical production challenges. It was adapted in a Seoul production. There was talk of a Broadway revival based on this, but Covid and Eric Schaeffer’s ouster from sexual harassment charges ended all that.

One thing that the original production guy exactly referenced that was the moment when they realized the ship was in danger. The rich passengers and the crew were all in denial. Then a cart slowly started sliding across the stage, revealing the ship was tilted.

Signature did a nice job with the actual sinking. They had bodies and chairs and objects suspended from the ceiling so it looked like they were underwater.

It’s a show that just misses being good, over and over. Great score that doesn’t fully come together.

by Anonymousreply 490April 4, 2023 2:25 PM

That cart was a coup de théâtre!

by Anonymousreply 491April 4, 2023 2:42 PM

It's official:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 492April 4, 2023 2:43 PM

It may be official, but it's completely inane.

by Anonymousreply 493April 4, 2023 2:44 PM

THE LIFE was never going to get the HS and community theater productions of other shows, simply because of its subject matter.

Nobody wants to see the community theater version.....cast with full figured frauette Amanda Kelly Jane Tammy or whatever her name might be, who gets all the leads in all the shows no matter what.....shaking her fat ass at the audience moaning about the oldest profession.

by Anonymousreply 494April 4, 2023 2:49 PM

OK, who has the photos?

Are they Jesselicious?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 495April 4, 2023 3:36 PM

Oscar and Rachel were both excellent in the show, would deserve the nominations, and it's also great that the JEJ isn't going to sit empty after the Room fiasco. Win/win.

by Anonymousreply 496April 4, 2023 3:49 PM

JEKYLL did recoup on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 497April 4, 2023 3:55 PM

Well it’s still gonna sit empty

by Anonymousreply 498April 4, 2023 4:36 PM

[r497] not after they paid MY fee

by Anonymousreply 499April 4, 2023 4:37 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 500April 4, 2023 5:01 PM

why the hell is JOH part of the Brustein producing team.

by Anonymousreply 501April 4, 2023 5:05 PM

He wants a Tony

by Anonymousreply 502April 4, 2023 5:18 PM

Seeing all these theatre diva dolls has reminded me.....do they still create those adorable Broadway Bears?

by Anonymousreply 503April 4, 2023 5:24 PM

Like Kevin Chamberlin?

by Anonymousreply 504April 4, 2023 5:28 PM

"Schmigadoon," season 2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 505April 4, 2023 5:32 PM

The last series was in 2012, r503. I worked on one.

by Anonymousreply 506April 4, 2023 5:35 PM

r503...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 507April 4, 2023 5:36 PM

Why did they stop doing the Bears. r503? They always seemed to bring a ton of money for Broadway Cares.

by Anonymousreply 508April 4, 2023 5:37 PM

JOH being a producer ensures no Tony. If you don't believe me, ask the producers of The Inheritance.

by Anonymousreply 509April 4, 2023 5:38 PM

I don't know if it was part of it, r508, but I'm sure they were running out of "classics" and who would get the Funny Girl bear, Beanie or Lea? Sleeves or no sleeves?

by Anonymousreply 510April 4, 2023 5:58 PM

Last week's numbers slight dips, but overall okay. SHUCKED still not getting any momentum. AKIMBO and HOT holding on.

by Anonymousreply 511April 4, 2023 6:44 PM

[quote] He wants a Tony

I'm not particuarly rooting for Brustein, but I would LOVE for JOH's only Tony to be for someone [italic] else's [/italic] play.

by Anonymousreply 512April 4, 2023 7:06 PM

It looks like Jordan Donica was MIA at Miscast last night. Could he be the Camelot lead who will be out until the 11th?

by Anonymousreply 513April 4, 2023 7:39 PM

Did we discuss? I looked upthread.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 514April 4, 2023 7:44 PM

It may have recouped by now, but it did not recoup during the run, R497. But hey, neither did Millie, Legally Blonde, Addams Family, or Seussical and now they are well in the black and familiar to the world at large as musical theatre titles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 515April 4, 2023 7:49 PM

R490, I second your positive description of the Signature Theater's production of TITANIC. It was an "immersive" production, well-staged and very well-sung. If it had moved to Broadway, it might have done well at Circle In The Square, since the production was designed to be done in the round.

In 2016, a London production of Titanic was done at the Charing Cross Theatre - a postage stamp stage that has housed some ambitious revivals. While this production of TITANIC was done more traditionally, it was nonetheless a huge success and extended its limited run.

I was lucky enough to see all three productions (Broadway, Signature, London), and each amplified the beautiful score and the sad and moving stories. TITANIC is by no means perfect, but it can be very effective and emotionally satisfying.

imho

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 516April 4, 2023 8:52 PM

Here's a video of the London revival of TITANIC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 517April 4, 2023 8:53 PM

Don't forget...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 518April 4, 2023 9:00 PM

I saw a late-90s tour of 'Titanic' when I was a kid and all I remember is that cart! A very memorable moment indeed.

by Anonymousreply 519April 4, 2023 9:07 PM

Titanic has some nice music. But otherwise, meh.

by Anonymousreply 520April 4, 2023 9:17 PM

Matias de la Flor is the understudy for Lancelot for Camelot gala performance 4/4/23. Latin hottie.

by Anonymousreply 521April 4, 2023 9:51 PM

Would have loved to see "Titanic": The Musical at Serenbe Playhouse on the water. Cool use of the lake. They also did "Miss Saigon" and had an actual helicopter buzz the audience

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 522April 4, 2023 10:26 PM

I think the highly peculiar set designs for the original Broadway TITANIC turned off a lot of people to the emotional stories the musical was trying to tell. Not that the designs weren't very interesting and original in their own way, just perhaps not the best choice for a commercial Broadway show.

by Anonymousreply 523April 4, 2023 10:49 PM

I was walking through a Broadway costume shop and one of the fabric painters was painting a rose on a bodice panel. I asked her what it was for and she said "Titantic". I asked her if I could throw an ice cube at it. She gave me a blank look and said...no.

by Anonymousreply 524April 4, 2023 11:05 PM

Jordan Donica had Covid-19 and missed the first week of the two week run of Into the Woods at encores.

Is Covid-19 a gay diseases??

by Anonymousreply 525April 5, 2023 12:05 AM

[quote]I was lucky enough to see all three productions (Broadway, Signature, London), and each amplified the beautiful score and the sad and moving stories. TITANIC is by no means perfect, but it can be very effective and emotionally satisfying.

I saw the Broadway production a couple of times and also saw the Signature production, and I agree with you. No, it's not a perfect musical, but I think it tends to be dismissed too easily, perhaps because it does strike so many people, as it did me, as a strange story to musicalize. But then, when I first heard about "Sweeney Todd" prior to its Broadway opening, I thought, "That doesn't strike me as a story that really sings." And no, I'm not comparing the two shows in terms of their respective quality. But Sondheim himself once said that anything can be a musical.

by Anonymousreply 526April 5, 2023 12:55 AM

After today, just 22 days left of the Broadway season.

by Anonymousreply 527April 5, 2023 1:07 AM

r472, new Audrey coming in May if you want to skip Apatow. (I did find it suspicious I couldn't easily find a recording of Apatow singing the role.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 528April 5, 2023 1:34 AM

Jesse Green praises Alex Newell, but nothing else in Shucked, but is still relatively generous toward it.

[quote]Puns, the pundit John Oliver has said, are not merely the lowest form of humor but “the lowest form of human behavior.” The academy agrees. In the 1600s, no less a literary luminary than John Dryden denounced lowbrow verbal amusements that “torture one poor word ten thousand ways.”

[quote]You may know how that one poor word feels after seeing “Shucked,” the anomalous Broadway musical about corn that opened on Tuesday at the Nederlander Theater. For more than two hours, it pelts you with piffle so egregious — not just puns but also dad jokes, double entendres and booby-trapped one-liners — that, forced into submission, you eventually give in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 529April 5, 2023 1:40 AM

Still it got a lot more positive reviews than I would have expected (or thought it deserved).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 530April 5, 2023 1:41 AM

Quote [forced into submission, you eventually give in.]

by Anonymousreply 531April 5, 2023 1:45 AM

Move over, bitches! I'm about to get my 2nd undeserved Tony!

by Anonymousreply 532April 5, 2023 1:59 AM

from R514's article:

[quote]"A Strange Loop," a story about a black, gay theatre nerd, was a surprise success.

It was?

I know it won the Pulitzer and was nominated for a bunch of Tonys, winning for Best Musical, and has an upcoming West End transfer, but did it not close after 6-8 months at a loss, even after stars were buying out certain performances to ensure its longevity?

by Anonymousreply 533April 5, 2023 2:06 AM

And towards the end, multiple performances were being canceled. It came close to becoming the shortest-running Best Musical winner.

by Anonymousreply 534April 5, 2023 2:10 AM

It closed at a complete loss.

by Anonymousreply 535April 5, 2023 2:10 AM

Hardly a complete loss. All those "producers" managed to buy themselves a Tony. Hudson bought her EGOT. Money well spent!

by Anonymousreply 536April 5, 2023 2:12 AM

Hudson being an EGOT is a loss for us all.

by Anonymousreply 537April 5, 2023 2:15 AM

R528 She's the thin Beanie.

by Anonymousreply 538April 5, 2023 2:33 AM

SHUCKED got the reviews I expected. Mostly positive and a few grudging negatives. I want to see it again.

by Anonymousreply 539April 5, 2023 3:17 AM

Jesse's review of SHUCKED basically says "Don't see this unless you have nothing else to see."

by Anonymousreply 540April 5, 2023 3:18 AM

Yes, r420. Imagine 2 white "cis" men winning something! It's almost as if it were based on merit!

by Anonymousreply 541April 5, 2023 3:32 AM

Titanic's opening is still one of the five best openings in Broadway history. Thrilling, using an empty stage and a ramp with glorious music and singing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 542April 5, 2023 4:02 AM

Anyone attending or know someone attending the final performance of Phantom?

I feel like ALW and CamMack may have cheesed off so many veterans of the show that few beyond the expected ones (Ramin, for example, who is happy to steal focus) might return. It would be so great to see longtime veterans of the show getting to take a bow.

It's sad to think Michael Crawford, Brightman, Judy or any of the others from the first few years would stay away out of disinterest. Something tells me that might be the case...

by Anonymousreply 543April 5, 2023 4:44 AM

Speaking of "Phantom" ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 544April 5, 2023 5:00 AM

r487 there was someone here two or so threads ago who claimed to be an investor in the original Jekyll & Hyde, saying that it did in fact recoup just before it closed. It's the first time I'd heard that...but maybe they knew what they were talking about. Or maybe they didn't. Everywhere else indicates the show never earned back it's investment.

Does Apatow's daughter have an understudy/alternate in the role of Audrey who performs on certain dates?

by Anonymousreply 545April 5, 2023 5:09 AM

People are so afraid of offending people they don’t poison pen reviews anymore.

I bet if Moose Murders opened today, it would get good reviews because people would be afraid of the Twitter mob.

Dumbing down the culture is not just the fault of the audiences but also the fault of the hapless critics

by Anonymousreply 546April 5, 2023 10:47 AM

It didn't seem like any of the critics held back for Bad Cinderella. The knives were certainly out for that mess.

by Anonymousreply 547April 5, 2023 11:18 AM

Maude Apatow has had probably the best attendance record than any other Audrey. She even hit her head and suffered a concussion during the performance but finished the show.

by Anonymousreply 548April 5, 2023 12:13 PM

[quote] She even hit her head and suffered a concussion during the performance

How could anyone tell the difference?

by Anonymousreply 549April 5, 2023 12:36 PM

[r549] you should be the critic for the NY Times

by Anonymousreply 550April 5, 2023 12:48 PM

No thanks. You couldn't pay me to sit through Shucked.

by Anonymousreply 551April 5, 2023 12:53 PM

[Quote] Jesse's review of SHUCKED basically says "Don't see this unless you have nothing else to see.”

Even if it got the greatest reviews ever, this is exactly how i would treat it

by Anonymousreply 552April 5, 2023 1:04 PM

Am I missing something or are these Broadway 'news' sites really stupid?

[quote] In its first week of post-opening night performances, “Sweeney Todd” grossed $1,734,930, an increase of 24% from the previous week. The revival played to standing-room-only crowds. Notably, the production is only playing seven performances per week.

The prior week was full of press comps, no? So of course a hit has an increase in its gross. It's a meaningless statement, no?

by Anonymousreply 553April 5, 2023 1:26 PM

Link for quote above

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 554April 5, 2023 1:27 PM

of course R541. we must dismiss anyone that has made the gravest offense against society-daring to keep the penis that we we born with

by Anonymousreply 555April 5, 2023 1:36 PM

How is Sidney Brustein even going to get all the nominators in to see the show in time

by Anonymousreply 556April 5, 2023 1:37 PM

The debate about theatrical set design (or the complete absence thereof) continues.

(This designer seems a bit thin-skinned, if you ask me. Honey, the work should speak for itself. And I liked PARADE.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 557April 5, 2023 1:58 PM

How boring is the Parade set?

by Anonymousreply 558April 5, 2023 2:07 PM

[quote]here was someone here two or so threads ago who claimed to be an investor in the original Jekyll & Hyde, saying that it did in fact recoup just before it closed. It's the first time I'd heard that...but maybe they knew what they were talking about. Or maybe they didn't. Everywhere else indicates the show never earned back it's investment.

Well it was filmed for TV and home video and surely that money is included.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 559April 5, 2023 2:09 PM

Happy birthday, Laurie Beechman. ⛅️

by Anonymousreply 560April 5, 2023 3:04 PM

Laurie really was the best. I wish she had lived to do a Sondheim show

by Anonymousreply 561April 5, 2023 6:35 PM

Project NINE

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 562April 5, 2023 6:57 PM

Casey Garvin is on for Borle in SLIH today.

by Anonymousreply 563April 5, 2023 8:14 PM

I get what that designer is saying. If a design is "simple" then it's assumed the designer is just being lazy/cheap/untalented.

Same thing with costumes if they're contemporary period...'Oh, I guess the actors are just wearing their own clothes"

Simple doesn't mean it's not a good design.

Though, there's also the overuse of "simple" when it's just an excuse for producers/theater companies being cheap. But, that's more "basic" than simple.

by Anonymousreply 564April 5, 2023 8:21 PM

Lortels getting awards season off to a wild start by not nominating Groff OR Radcliffe

by Anonymousreply 565April 5, 2023 9:13 PM

Does anyone still go to.....The Lortels?

by Anonymousreply 566April 5, 2023 9:15 PM

How in the world could Groff not get nominated? He got unanimous raves

by Anonymousreply 567April 5, 2023 9:38 PM

It’s because the categories are gender neutral so less opportunities for nominations

by Anonymousreply 568April 5, 2023 9:47 PM

Fewer opportunities.

by Anonymousreply 569April 5, 2023 9:51 PM

Hey musical fans! Who's watching UP HERE?

[quote]Up Here, the much-buzzed-about rom-com from Tony-winning writer Steven Levenson (Dear Evan Hansen, tick, tick…BOOM!), writer Danielle Sanchez-Witzel (The Carmichael Show); Tony-winning Hamilton director Tommy Kail and Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and Tony-award winning songwriters Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez (Frozen, Coco, WandaVision, Book of Mormon), is set in New York City in the waning days of 1999, following the extraordinary story of one ordinary couple as they fall in love. The Up Here soundtrack features 21 original songs written by Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez, also Executive Producers on the show, who were inspired to create each of the 8 episodes as a mini-musical. Each song is integral to the storyline addressing the voices of doubt, fear and insecurity swirling in the principal characters’ heads.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 570April 5, 2023 9:57 PM

Another song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 571April 5, 2023 9:58 PM

R570, is that a movie?

by Anonymousreply 572April 5, 2023 10:17 PM

Gender neutral categories are such horseshit. Give it a rest.

by Anonymousreply 573April 5, 2023 10:24 PM

R572 TV.

by Anonymousreply 574April 5, 2023 11:58 PM

r573, do you also think that directiors, composers, writers and designers should be in separate categories due to their gender?

by Anonymousreply 575April 6, 2023 1:17 AM

Writing doesn't have a gender, r575, roles do.

by Anonymousreply 576April 6, 2023 1:43 AM

R576 Meh. What is good for the goose. Surely having gendered categories for writing and directing would give more attention to women in those trades.

by Anonymousreply 577April 6, 2023 1:52 AM

Whatever, r577.

by Anonymousreply 578April 6, 2023 2:13 AM

Camelot is so boring. Don't waste your money.

by Anonymousreply 579April 6, 2023 4:15 AM

But how is Jordan Donica?

by Anonymousreply 580April 6, 2023 4:16 AM

The LCT revival of CAMELOT is godawful. So much worse than some earlier posters on these threads prepared me for. A joyless, boring slog of a show.

I am not Philippa Soo's biggest fan, but she was the singular standout for me. She sang the score beautifully and acted it decently. Andrew Burnap may be a fine actor, but he cannot sing, and his boyish turn as Arthur felt all wrong (in what universe did a force of nature like Richard Burton play the same role?) . Jordan Donica was out sick--a double shame for me, because his understudy (Matías De La Flor) gave one of the worst performances I've seen in recent memory: he spoke-sang his way through Lancelot's songs when he wasn't busy being terrible in the book scenes.

Overall, the casting is mystifying: the Round Table (which we never actually see) should be teeming with masculine energy, so why are they all bald, portly, and approaching 50? Why is Morgan Le Fay even in the show, since they removed her song and her magic? It's all wildly underpowered vocally, which is criminal, since the score is the show's only asset. At least the orchestra sounded nice.

by Anonymousreply 581April 6, 2023 4:17 AM

Matias is the 2nd understudy. The real understudy is also sick, along with Jordan.

by Anonymousreply 582April 6, 2023 4:19 AM

to clarify: we see Arthur's knights (more often than we should). When they gather around a table in Act 2, it's rectangular. Which makes about as much sense as the rest of the evening.

Really--this cast is not good. The production is not good. Sorkin's rewrite is dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 583April 6, 2023 4:20 AM

New Thread is up

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 584April 6, 2023 4:21 AM

ooh, we missed our chance to call it

CAMEL-NOT.

by Anonymousreply 585April 6, 2023 4:23 AM

When Bart Sher drops the ball, he really drops the ball.

by Anonymousreply 586April 6, 2023 4:23 AM

Aaron Sorkin has managed to turn CAMELOT into a 3-hour episode of THE WEST WING that no one asked for.

by Anonymousreply 587April 6, 2023 4:24 AM

And not in a Take Me Out kinda way

by Anonymousreply 588April 6, 2023 4:25 AM

LMAO!

by Anonymousreply 589April 6, 2023 4:25 AM

Yes, if only there was a naked shower scene with Andrew Burnap …

by Anonymousreply 590April 6, 2023 4:27 AM

New thread....thanks R585

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 591April 6, 2023 4:28 AM

I feel like I hated CAMELOT more than most of the audience (except for the vicious queens behind me who kept laughing inappropriately). But I would describe the audience response as "tepid." Lots of polite golf claps. Obligatory standing ovation at curtain, but only some of the audience.

I hope the critics torch this revival, but I strongly suspect they won't.

by Anonymousreply 592April 6, 2023 4:28 AM

This isn't a revival - it's a deconstruction.

by Anonymousreply 593April 6, 2023 4:30 AM

It's a fucking war crime, is what it is.

by Anonymousreply 594April 6, 2023 4:32 AM

It's a shonda!

by Anonymousreply 595April 6, 2023 4:33 AM

Thanks, R591, except we started a new thread at R584

by Anonymousreply 596April 6, 2023 4:33 AM

It's a bird

by Anonymousreply 597April 6, 2023 4:34 AM

it's a plane

by Anonymousreply 598April 6, 2023 4:34 AM

it's the end of a thread

by Anonymousreply 599April 6, 2023 4:34 AM

BAJOUR!

by Anonymousreply 600April 6, 2023 4:35 AM

It's a plane!

by Anonymousreply 601April 6, 2023 4:35 AM

Well, I hate R584's title so much that I might suggest we use R591's instead.

by Anonymousreply 602April 6, 2023 4:35 AM

Imagine marrying a woman, she takes your name, but you get divorced, Then she makes your name famous as a leading lady, while you (with better looks than her) gets relegated to "good looking character actor?"

by Anonymousreply 603April 6, 2023 11:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!