Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

THEATRE GOSSIP #521: CAMELOT is a Camel-NOT

Title shamelessly stolen from a poster in the last thread.

Did they just reuse costumes from the Addams Family? Eesh.

All this and much more....let's just get to it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 602April 14, 2023 4:06 AM

Previous thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 6, 2023 4:28 AM

I'm glomming onto this thread because it's got a better title than the other one.

by Anonymousreply 2April 6, 2023 4:36 AM

Which one will survive?

by Anonymousreply 3April 6, 2023 4:36 AM

Thanks, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4April 6, 2023 4:37 AM

Camelot at LCT is a pretty ugly production (sets and costumes). Phillipa Soo looks pretty in a few genuinely lovely dresses, but that's about it.

But it seems silly to me to focus on design aspects when so much else (book, casting, vocal and acting performance) is so wildly wrong.

by Anonymousreply 5April 6, 2023 4:39 AM

I love this, Julie is so buoyant...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 6, 2023 4:42 AM

One of the pretty dresses.

The press photos make the stage lighting and sets look better than they do in person.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 6, 2023 4:42 AM

Soo Me, Soo Me, what can you do me?

by Anonymousreply 8April 6, 2023 5:01 AM

What's closing at the Rialto?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 6, 2023 5:03 AM

Remember the OKLAHOMA revival (WOKELAHOMA as it was often called here)?

Worth a read.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 6, 2023 5:18 AM

What did they expect? What did they reasonably expect?

by Anonymousreply 11April 6, 2023 5:23 AM

DL’s beloved C-List Actor, Eric Milligan, tore this jerk a new asshole for saying the opinions of the many, many who hate this Oklahoma don’t matter.

by Anonymousreply 12April 6, 2023 5:27 AM

Uh, both #521 thread titles are shite.

by Anonymousreply 13April 6, 2023 7:44 AM

R10 is a verbose essay which doesn't say what the paying audiences didn't like.

Was it just the wheelchair?

by Anonymousreply 14April 6, 2023 9:36 AM

Anyone who's actually interested in seeing a 75 year old musical probably doesn't want to see a production that shits all over it and turns it into a feel-bad experience. Surprise, surprise.

Not to mention that taking a character that was originally portrayed as a murderous creep and playing him as a poor misunderstood loner understandably doesn't play well these days. Nobody wants to see Sympathy For the Incel.

by Anonymousreply 15April 6, 2023 10:00 AM

R13, agreed, but so be it. The other title was first, and remembered to include the "Edition". This one would have been better if it had just been The Camel-Not Edition and not spelled out the joke (not good, but better). If 594 and 595 had chimed in sooner the It's a Fucking War Crime Edition or It's a Shanda Edition would have amused me (and possibly only me).

And the beat goes on.

by Anonymousreply 16April 6, 2023 10:09 AM

I didn't enjoy Shucked, but I have to give their marketing team credit for going all out and getting a bunch of coverage it doesn't deserve. Yesterday Variety posted a rave review, a full behind-the-scenes article on how "a Riotous Production That Could Be the Musical-Comedy Sleeper of the Season," and...this. A story on how an actor got his suit for opening night. (Exclusive!) How could this possibly interest anyone?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 6, 2023 10:20 AM

Then there's this mess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 6, 2023 10:23 AM

Coolest behind the scenes vid of a show I ever saw and the theater is beautiful too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 6, 2023 11:27 AM

[quote]Yanigahara takes 720 pages to tell the story of four college friends

Yanigahara takes 720 pages to tell the story of absolutely nothing of interest

by Anonymousreply 20April 6, 2023 11:28 AM

I did do a search for 521 before creating this one and didn't find anything. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 21April 6, 2023 11:29 AM

Has “Brideshead Revisited” ever been staged or musicalized?

by Anonymousreply 22April 6, 2023 11:39 AM

[quote][R10] is a verbose essay which doesn't say what the paying audiences didn't like.

Yeah, I'd really like to know what exactly prompted "vomiting in the balcony."

by Anonymousreply 23April 6, 2023 12:01 PM

[quote]Yeah, I'd really like to know what exactly prompted "vomiting in the balcony."

On Broadway they served chili during intermission, maybe they on tour too....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 6, 2023 12:06 PM

[quote]Yeah, I'd really like to know what exactly prompted "vomiting in the balcony."

One assumes the dream "ballet".

by Anonymousreply 25April 6, 2023 12:18 PM

I saw the Oklahoma tour in Chicago. I mostly liked it. I loved some of it. Some of the more indulgent ideas (the dream ballet) went over the top. I’d say the audience as a whole was about 30% on their side. It was pretty rough

by Anonymousreply 26April 6, 2023 12:23 PM

The ending of Camelot should be a sobfest for the audience. This production failed in part because the Tom of Warwick is maybe the worst child actor I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 27April 6, 2023 12:32 PM

Curious that the NY Times review of A Little Life paraphrases the title for Helen Shaw's review of the Dutch version that ran at BAM last year. Her review, incidentally, was easily the best piece of theatre criticism I read last year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28April 6, 2023 12:33 PM

A sprawling novel everyone hated becomes a prolonged crapfest on stage. Who woulda thunk?

by Anonymousreply 29April 6, 2023 12:51 PM

Before we get to arguing about who has the best Madame Broadway doll or why Daniel Radcliffe can’t buy a Tony, let’s pause and enjoy the delicious vocals of Kay Mcclelland.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 6, 2023 1:09 PM

[quote]The ending of Camelot should be a sobfest for the audience. This production failed in part because the Tom of Warwick is maybe the worst child actor I've ever seen.

My Mom told the story of us all going to see "Camelot" at the movies. She thought we'd all fall asleep but at the end, my six year old brother stood up in tears and blurted out "Why does he have to go!". The audience burst out in laughter and applause and my Mom was shocked he was so involved in it.

by Anonymousreply 31April 6, 2023 1:31 PM

So I guess we can now add Camelot’s book it the “cannot fix” category

by Anonymousreply 32April 6, 2023 1:40 PM

I like this thread quite a bit and see it lasting longer than the other one. I'm onboard!

by Anonymousreply 33April 6, 2023 1:43 PM

Seeing Franco Nero in "Camelot" made me cum-a-lot.

by Anonymousreply 34April 6, 2023 1:53 PM

[quote]DL’s beloved C-List Actor, Eric Milligan

His name is MillEgan.

by Anonymousreply 35April 6, 2023 1:54 PM

[quote]This production failed in part because the Tom of Warwick is maybe the worst child actor I've ever seen.

Agreed. But then he's a good match for the rest of the cast (mostly) in this steaming dumpster fire of a CAMELOT revival.

[quote]So I guess we can now add Camelot’s book it the “cannot fix” category

I hope that critics will call out how truly terrible Aaron Sorkin's "fix" is, but I suspect they won't. He's earned a lot of good will (undeserved) by even taking on this project. As noted in the previous thread, he's turned CAMELOT into a very long, boring episode of THE WEST WING.

by Anonymousreply 36April 6, 2023 2:11 PM

Someone posted this in the dueling thread, and I thought it was worth a look/listen.

(Can we settle on one TG thread, please? How I hate it when we fight....)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37April 6, 2023 2:25 PM

Is NPH taking the role in PPGW only because his hubby is doing a play a few blocks away and he wants to keep an eye on him? Much like Melanie Griffith doing Chicago while her then-hubby was in Nine?

by Anonymousreply 38April 6, 2023 2:29 PM

R38. Melanie had good reason to feel insecure.

by Anonymousreply 39April 6, 2023 2:34 PM

Zach, I can’t act!

I heard that, you bitch.

Shit, Ritchie, shit.

by Anonymousreply 40April 6, 2023 2:56 PM

I've never seen a stage production of Camelot and only dimly recall the bloated movie. But I can safely say that Sorkin's rewrite is NOT an improvement. Spoilers galore:

Arthur is nervous about getting wed, Guinevere is annoyed about her forced wedding. So far, I think that matches the original. Then Sorkin adds a long female empowerment scene between the two of them. Arthur sings the title song, and for some unknown reason Jenny agrees to wed him. But it turns out that Arthur feels guilty and (I guess) they have a sex-free marriage that they both agree is more like a business partnership. Jenny bumps and grinds her way through Lusty Month of May like a burlesque dancer and meets Lance. She takes an instant dislike to him and sings Then You May Take Me to the Fair to three decidedly un-hunky knights. Lance defeats the knights in a tournament and accidentally kills (maybe?) Arthur in the same tournament. He then magically (maybe?) brings Arthur back to life and suddenly Jenny and Lance fall in love, although Sorkin can't be bothered to explain it and Sher only shows a deep look between the two characters. Arthur apologetically sings How to Handle A Woman, because you know, it's now SO un-PC. Arthur's son Mordred pops up to stir trouble in act two, turning the knights against Arthur. Jenny and Arthur sing What Do the Simple Folks Do, because, well, even with a boring scene before the song it is never explained why they are singing this song. Then Arthur goes off to meet Mordred's mom and they have a long scene that for some unknown reason goes to great pains to present Morgan Le Fey as a scientist. No magic here, folks! Several minutes are devoted to Arthur writing a series of numbers that Morgan can recite without looking at them. The significance? Who knows? Who cares? Lance and Jenny are caught in bed after he steals her song (I Loved You Once in Silence). Jenny's unseen trial and escape are told in a choral song that is still such a cop-out from Lerner (he even admitted as much that they couldn't figure out how to stage it). And the show ends as it originally did with Lerner's original lines. Surprisingly, the ending still is moving, but lord it was a slog to get there after 3 hours.

by Anonymousreply 41April 6, 2023 3:02 PM

On Tuesday, April 11, Wicked will become the 4th longest running production in Broadway history, surpassing Cats.

by Anonymousreply 42April 6, 2023 3:13 PM

Pretty accurate, R41.

At least you paid more attention than I did.

I really hated this production.

by Anonymousreply 43April 6, 2023 3:14 PM

How do they get Jenny out of Guinever?

by Anonymousreply 44April 6, 2023 3:22 PM

[quote]How do they get Jenny out of Guinever?

With a crowbar.

by Anonymousreply 45April 6, 2023 3:37 PM

Those 3 knights in CAMELOT - do they really have to do much besides look hunky and desirable? Why would Sher cast 3 schlubs??

by Anonymousreply 46April 6, 2023 3:47 PM

Jenny is a name for a donkey. Is the queen stubborn?

by Anonymousreply 47April 6, 2023 3:49 PM

Perhaps the oafish knights are there as a contrast to Lancelot. If this is what Guenevere is used to, no wonder she gets all hot for for this hunk from France.

by Anonymousreply 48April 6, 2023 3:54 PM

Excellent critique, r41. Let's add that the score is deeply, warmly romantic and totally out of synch with this chilly "thinking man's" rewrite.

by Anonymousreply 49April 6, 2023 3:57 PM

[quote] I did do a search for 521 before creating this one and didn't find anything. Sorry.

You didn't need to do a search for it since it was already posted in the prior thread where you saw it.

by Anonymousreply 50April 6, 2023 4:16 PM

Is Lancelot a homosexual?

by Anonymousreply 51April 6, 2023 4:21 PM

He's French.

by Anonymousreply 52April 6, 2023 4:29 PM

Are any of the knights female born? I know the Mordred understudy was assigned female at birth which should be interesting when they go on. Honestly, the casting here just tries too hard to be diverse. It's as if they had a checklist in the casting sessions. And reading that the Lancelot u/s who stepped in the other night can't handle the score is just sad.

by Anonymousreply 53April 6, 2023 4:38 PM

I liked the story of the brother of R31 at the movie!

by Anonymousreply 54April 6, 2023 4:46 PM

R12-Did Eric's husband, Charles Michel, write it for him?

by Anonymousreply 55April 6, 2023 4:54 PM

Camelot has never worked, and never gotten good reviews. Not the original, not the movie, not the revival, nothing. Julie Andrews herself said the audience enjoyed the show for awhile, but left unsatisfied and angry. It's got some lovely music, but very old-fashioned, even for 1960.

This new production doesn't solve anything, and it doesn't star Richard Burton, Julie Andrews, and Robert Goulet. It is doomed.

by Anonymousreply 56April 6, 2023 5:43 PM

Ooookinawa, where the wind comes sweeping down the plain

And the waving rice

Sure smells nice

And the....I don't remember the rest

by Anonymousreply 57April 6, 2023 5:45 PM

Just cancelled my 2 CAMELOT comps for Friday night, reading so much bad chatter about the show which, apparently, is even worse with Jordan Donica's current absence. I have a feeling I'll be able to get cheap seats after this one opens.

by Anonymousreply 58April 6, 2023 6:06 PM

Michael R Jackson remade the American musical? Puhleeze. He & Hilton Als are just pushing the lard-ass-shvartze agenda.

by Anonymousreply 59April 6, 2023 6:09 PM

Sail on...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60April 6, 2023 6:19 PM

Has anyone explained why Lance and Jenny are French, but speak with British accents, but Arthur is British but speaks standard American?

by Anonymousreply 61April 6, 2023 7:15 PM

I think they are all trying to do mid-Atlantic accents.

by Anonymousreply 62April 6, 2023 7:26 PM

Jason Donnica sings well but looks ridiculous in this.

by Anonymousreply 63April 6, 2023 7:39 PM

Who knew 6th Century AD Britain was so racially and ethnically diverse, with people from all over the world? Broadway can teach us so much!

by Anonymousreply 64April 6, 2023 7:46 PM

^ Damn...you made me LOL.

by Anonymousreply 65April 6, 2023 7:48 PM

Always thought Camelot was a bore seemingly only elevated by the Kennedy mystique. Apparently, it is a bore--LCT was due a revival flop after a string of successes.

by Anonymousreply 66April 6, 2023 7:54 PM

They could approve the play with some nudity. Perhaps a shower scene. Hee hee.

by Anonymousreply 67April 6, 2023 7:54 PM

is it all that shocking that across "Merica", they didnt get why Ado Annie was a 300 pound black trans-woman>? and why scenes we're played totally in the dark--I mean, it was divisive in Manhattan

by Anonymousreply 68April 6, 2023 7:56 PM

Naked James Norton is the only attraction of the stage version of A LITTLE LIFE.

by Anonymousreply 69April 6, 2023 7:57 PM

Id settle for a naked James Naughton

by Anonymousreply 70April 6, 2023 8:01 PM

[quote] LCT was due a revival flop after a string of successes.

Hey! Don’t forget about me! I flopped big time!

by Anonymousreply 71April 6, 2023 8:12 PM

What average percentage of any house at the Beaumont is made up of subscribers?

by Anonymousreply 72April 6, 2023 8:14 PM

R71. I meant musical revivals (King and I, South Pacific, My Fair lady)

by Anonymousreply 73April 6, 2023 8:16 PM

Don't look at me!

by Anonymousreply 74April 6, 2023 8:32 PM

R74 I really would have preferred to forget about you

by Anonymousreply 75April 6, 2023 8:33 PM

R58 - cheaper than COMPS?

by Anonymousreply 76April 6, 2023 9:33 PM

I’m not going until Billy Porter takes over the roll of Lancilot

by Anonymousreply 77April 6, 2023 10:05 PM

^he would only agree to play Guinevere.

by Anonymousreply 78April 6, 2023 10:10 PM

I have always loved the entire Camelot show, including the book. It has one of the best first act endings of any show from the resurrection of the dead knight through the scene where Arthur figures out what is going on between the two people he loves, ending up with the knighting scene and the closing soliloquy. The last scene of the show is heartbreaking.

Sue me.

by Anonymousreply 79April 6, 2023 10:13 PM

[quote] Jason Donnica

Two words, and you got them both wrong. Brava!

by Anonymousreply 80April 6, 2023 10:42 PM

I loved the music for Camelot growing up so was excited to see a touring version.

When I finally did, I was so disappointed that such amazing music could come out of such a boring show

by Anonymousreply 81April 6, 2023 10:48 PM

Since someone mentioned WICKED upthread.....has there been some recent backstage drama there? Was there some issue when Alexandra Billings played Morrible (which was like a year or so ago)?

I got the impression she left earlier than she was supposed to - just wondered what happened there. She was very visible thanking the understudies when so many were out with COVID and I wondered if somehow she stepped on some toes.....

by Anonymousreply 82April 6, 2023 10:54 PM

[quote] I got the impression she left earlier than she was supposed to

Sometimes your co-stars are fuckups and you’re forced to leave early.

by Anonymousreply 83April 6, 2023 11:27 PM

She left early because she couldn't handle the role. She wasn't prepared, she couldn't sing the part, and it as too much of a grind for her. She started missing a bunch of shows and it was always some bullshit excuse. I think the producers also realized they made a mistake and were happy to be rid of her.

by Anonymousreply 84April 6, 2023 11:41 PM

[quote]Those 3 knights in CAMELOT - do they really have to do much besides look hunky and desirable? Why would Sher cast 3 schlubs??

Maybe so that they would provide no competition in the looks department for Jordan Donica, who seems to be Bart's new crush? From Matthew Morrison to Jordan Donica -- interesting trajectory.

by Anonymousreply 85April 6, 2023 11:47 PM

[quote]I have always loved the entire Camelot show, including the book. It has one of the best first act endings of any show from the resurrection of the dead knight through the scene where Arthur figures out what is going on between the two people he loves, ending up with the knighting scene and the closing soliloquy. The last scene of the show is heartbreaking.

I agree with you about all of that, BUT then there is the rest of the book, most of which is a complete mess.

by Anonymousreply 86April 6, 2023 11:56 PM

I like this line from the piece about touring the country in Wokelahoma...

The writer asks why exactly viewers rejected the show: "Was it our set being static and largely made of plywood?"

Ugh!!! Undoubtedly that was PART of the picture, hun.

by Anonymousreply 87April 7, 2023 12:00 AM

"Jenny" has NEVER been a nickname for Guinevere...it makes no sense.

"Gwennie/Gwenny"....sure. Perhaps.

Her name isn't "Jennevere".

by Anonymousreply 88April 7, 2023 12:47 AM

Yes, R88 -- just as "Peggy" has never been a nickname for "Margaret."

by Anonymousreply 89April 7, 2023 12:50 AM

R89 what does that have to do with idiots using Jenny for Guinevere?

Peggy for Margaret is well known and comes from rhyming slang.

Using Juh-Jenny as a nick name for Gwuh-Guinevere is almost as stupid as the title to this thread.

by Anonymousreply 90April 7, 2023 12:54 AM

About 10 years ago I saw that mini-CAMELOT that was devised and directed by Frasier's David Lee and absolutely loved it.

Though I was very familiar with the score I'd never seen a production before. The only characters were Arthur, Guinevere, Lancelot, Mordred and the 3 knights, who played a small variety of characters, everyone with with minimal costume changes. The sets were also minimal and the show began by having the actors come trouping out with bins of props, costume pieces and scenic bits, a la The Fantasticks (that probably sounds awful but it really worked well).

Orchestra was tiny but melodic and the charm was all there. The gorgeous score soared, yet lighter than air. And handsome Nicholas Rodriguez had a brief rear nude scene as Lancelot that was quite unforgettable!

by Anonymousreply 91April 7, 2023 1:06 AM

Alan Jay Lerner did not invent the nickname Jenny for Guinevere.

by Anonymousreply 92April 7, 2023 1:08 AM

R91 That sounds like a terrific way to stage Camelot.

Sometimes, going smaller and more intimate is the way to go.

I think Ragtime was another show that profits by doing the same thing.

Not every big classic old musical needs a huge cast.

by Anonymousreply 93April 7, 2023 1:12 AM

R90, “Jennifer”is a Cornish or Celtic variant of “Guinevere.”

by Anonymousreply 94April 7, 2023 1:16 AM

r91, looks very interesting. Sorry I missed it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95April 7, 2023 2:04 AM

Have no intention of seeing Bad Cinderella, but the people who said it's really gay really weren't exaggerating, huh?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96April 7, 2023 4:05 AM

Bad Cinderella was worse than Monkey Pox…

by Anonymousreply 97April 7, 2023 4:15 AM

Oh, look who's on Kojak tonight...

A Long Way From Times Square

Kojak travels to Nevada to extradite a man wanted as a witness. Lily Weed: Judith Lowry. Penny: Judy Kaye. Saxler: Vincent Baggetta. Quinlan: Max Showalter. Hawker: Tom McFadden.

by Anonymousreply 98April 7, 2023 4:29 AM

R84 That doesn't sound like Alex at all. She's been working in Chicago theatre for years and is very professional and very well trained. She's also been trans for decades, not that THAT should matter, but to DL it does.

by Anonymousreply 99April 7, 2023 6:24 AM

R95 Queen Guinevere is a cross-dressing Jamaican.

by Anonymousreply 100April 7, 2023 6:31 AM

I really wish that had been the pull quote from the New York Times.

“Bad Cinderella-Worse than Monkeypox!”

by Anonymousreply 101April 7, 2023 11:51 AM

[quote] That doesn't sound like Alex at all. She's been working in Chicago theatre for years and is very professional and very well trained. She's also been trans for decades, not that THAT should matter, but to DL it does.

I said nothing about her being trans, and none of my comments even hinted at that being an issue. It wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 102April 7, 2023 11:55 AM

Not gay enough, I’d say, R96.

by Anonymousreply 103April 7, 2023 12:03 PM

Thanks r10 for the article on Oklahoma. I saw the production in NY with my very left wing friend. She wanted to leave at intermission because she hated the “corny” music and love story. I hated the woke interpretation. So who exactly was the audience for this show?

by Anonymousreply 104April 7, 2023 12:04 PM

Neither you nor your friend r104.

by Anonymousreply 105April 7, 2023 12:20 PM

Those with a curious open mind, r104.

by Anonymousreply 106April 7, 2023 12:47 PM

No, R106 -- those with a taste for rampant directorial ego and pretentious bullshit of the highest degree. Rejecting idiocy does not make one closed-minded.

by Anonymousreply 107April 7, 2023 1:15 PM

[quote]Rejecting idiocy does not make one closed-minded.

It most certainly does. Having a critical opinion about an artistic effort and articulating that opinion is the sign of an open mind.

Declaring it "idiocy" is just about as close-minded as one could possibly be.

by Anonymousreply 108April 7, 2023 1:30 PM

My problem with this Oklahoma is that the choices were so random as to become meaningless.

And therefore pretentious.

by Anonymousreply 109April 7, 2023 1:42 PM

I'm disappointed to hear such bad things about Camelot. I found the movie and score really boring but would have checked this production out had it been a good one.

Anyone win the Phantom lottery?

I wonder if anyone will show up for the final curtain - Michael Crawford, Judy, Sarah, Hugh P, Howard, etc - or if this will be a quick goodbye speech from Andrew and out the door...

by Anonymousreply 110April 7, 2023 1:44 PM

There will be a post-show extravaganza on stage at Phantom.

by Anonymousreply 111April 7, 2023 1:45 PM

R96, wow that looks awful

by Anonymousreply 112April 7, 2023 1:45 PM

R99 agree. I like her & even if I didn't, she's a professional.

Somewhere on social media she referred to an experience that "was a fantasy and perfect dream....until it wasn't"

I think she was being harassed by someone, not sure. She's done so much theater (including The Nap) and Morrible is, quite frankly, a glorified walk on so it's not like she was carrying the show.....something went down there.

by Anonymousreply 113April 7, 2023 2:08 PM

DL fave Patti LuPone should present Andrew with a single rose on stage to say goodbye to Phantom at the curtain call.

by Anonymousreply 114April 7, 2023 2:09 PM

It most certainly does. Having a critical opinion about an artistic effort and articulating that opinion is the sign of an open mind. Declaring it "idiocy" is just about as close-minded as one could possibly be.

So then, in your mind, there is NO example of radical reinterpretation (or misinterpretation) of a play or musical that can be rated as idiocy? Not even a production of THE GLASS MENAGERIE where Laura is severely disabled and requires a wheelchair, despite the dialogue in the play that tells us all she has is a slight limp? Not even a production of OKLAHOMA! in which Laurey and Jud have sex in the dark, even though she's terrified of him, and Jud offers Curly a gun to kill him (Jud), which Curley does, rather than Jud accidentally killing himself by falling on his knife during a fight he instigated?

by Anonymousreply 115April 7, 2023 2:10 PM

Sorry, that was supposed to be a comment on a previous post:

[quote]It most certainly does. Having a critical opinion about an artistic effort and articulating that opinion is the sign of an open mind. Declaring it "idiocy" is just about as close-minded as one could possibly be.

So then, in your mind, there is NO example of radical reinterpretation (or misinterpretation) of a play or musical that can be rated as idiocy? Not even a production of THE GLASS MENAGERIE where Laura is severely disabled and requires a wheelchair, despite the dialogue in the play that tells us all she has is a slight limp? Not even a production of OKLAHOMA! in which Laurey and Jud have sex in the dark, even though she's terrified of him, and Jud offers Curly a gun to kill him (Jud), which Curley does, rather than Jud accidentally killing himself by falling on his knife during a fight he instigated?

by Anonymousreply 116April 7, 2023 2:17 PM

Laurey and Jud do not have sex in the dark in this production. Curly and Jud? That's open to interpretation. Not sure why the Fish production bedevils so many here. The original. Oklahoma doesn't disappear; it will return to pleasure you some day. And anyone who walked into this one without knowing that this would be a radical take just wasn't paying attention.

by Anonymousreply 117April 7, 2023 2:25 PM

Dismissing an interpretation as "idiocy" is antithetical to the creative process.

by Anonymousreply 118April 7, 2023 2:27 PM

I wanted to love the “radical” Oklahoma, but it was just so stupid. None of the choices made any sense.

I had no problem with the casting, or the single set. But the blackouts, the bizarre use of video, the blood spattering, and especially the dream ballet were all just out of nowhere, and didn’t comment on the work. It managed to make the show more shallow than it was before.

by Anonymousreply 119April 7, 2023 2:36 PM

I admired much of Wokelahoma! but detested (with a passion) the ugly and pointless dream ballet that closed the first act. Large, tattooed lesbian doing a modern dance with boots falling from the rafters. WTF? I'm sure that was a huge reason why people fled at intermission.

Having Curly shoot Jud in cold blood, with blood splattering Laurie's wedding gown also was a perplexingly stupid idea.

by Anonymousreply 120April 7, 2023 2:42 PM

Variety interviews Bartlett Sher:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121April 7, 2023 2:43 PM

[quote]Dismissing an interpretation as "idiocy" is antithetical to the creative process.

Not if it's truly idiotic in that it makes no sense and it runs counter to the play or musical as written. If you claim that you NEVER saw an interpretation of a show that you would rate as senseless, you are probably lying.

Also, there's a big difference between the "creative process" and radical interpretation of an existing work. People can write or direct a NEW show any way they want, if they have the talent to do so. But they should NOT destroy a show like OKLAHOMA! while keeping Rodgers & Hammerstein's names on it and actually adding those names to the title.

by Anonymousreply 122April 7, 2023 2:56 PM

[quote] I admired much of Wokelahoma! but detested (with a passion) the ugly and pointless dream ballet that closed the first act. Large, tattooed lesbian doing a modern dance with boots falling from the rafters. WTF? I'm sure that was a huge reason why people fled at intermission.

On tour, the boots were cut (as was the chili), but for yet another bizarrely inexplicable reason, the dream ballet was moved AFTER the intermission.

So much for no changes to the text.

[quote]Having Curly shoot Jud in cold blood, with blood splattering Laurie's wedding gown also was a perplexingly stupid idea.

Especially since Jud just calmly lay down on the floor to “die”.

by Anonymousreply 123April 7, 2023 2:58 PM

[quote] for yet another bizarrely inexplicable reason, the dream ballet was moved AFTER the intermission.

Whatever for?

by Anonymousreply 124April 7, 2023 3:00 PM

Sweeney is a pretty mixed bag but overall enjoyable. Josh Gorban cannot act (or at least not very well) and misses almost the menace that Len Cariou brought to the role. I listed to Cariou's "Epiphany" recording this morning, and it has all the passion that Groban lacks. Groban's voice is better than Cariou's but I'd rather have a singing actor. There are also a few warm moments for Groban's Sweeney, which seemed oddly out of character. Annaleigh chews up every piece of scenery, and yes, she does indeed do Curly's famous Three Stooges move where she gets down on the ground and scoots around in circles. It happens during "A Little Priest," and while she doesn't go "Whooop whooop whooop!" that's pretty much the only way she restrains herself all evening. I thought her mugging went too far, but the audience sure seemed to love everything she did. Jordan Fisher is fine as Anthony, not the disaster many reported. I really liked the actress playing Johanna, and I was so happy to see Ruthie Ann Miles moving so confidently on stage, almost dancing at one point. I guess she has recovered from that awful accident. The sound at the Lunt (as we in the know call it) remains problematic. Ashford was sometimes impossible to understand in her dialogue. I thought the choreography was interesting, and the freewheeling patio number is fine, not as overdone as some have reported. Sadly, tall and hunky Timothy Hughes does not remove his shirt or any other pieces of clothing. I did miss the whistle, but I was glad to see that there was plenty of blood. And the disposal of the dead clients from the barber shop to a chute was handled very nicely. If you decide to go, definitely choose front mezzanine over orchestra. A lot of the action takes place on an upper ramp.

by Anonymousreply 125April 7, 2023 3:02 PM

The dream ballet was after the intermission on Broadway. I have no idea why, but there was a lot about that production that seemed ad hoc edgy rather than well conceived.

R129, I’ve heard that orchestra seats aren’t great for Sweeney - which is crazy considering how much they cost. But, for me,the mezzanine always seems distance from the show even if you can see more. That said, there is no way I will sit in Orchestra for Parade after seeing that set.

by Anonymousreply 126April 7, 2023 3:07 PM

[quote]The dream ballet was after the intermission on Broadway. I have no idea why, but there was a lot about that production that seemed ad hoc edgy rather than well conceived.

I'm assuming the "ballet" was moved to the top of Act II simply because Act I is so freaking long, and since the ballet was rendered pointless and meaningless, it didn't matter at all in terms of the storytelling.

by Anonymousreply 127April 7, 2023 3:14 PM

Nothing can beat raw talent and inspired casting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128April 7, 2023 3:14 PM

Horrors R128! That lacks Aaron Sorkin’s apologetic scene where she berates Arthur for using the word “simple folk.” I am triggered. Triggered, I tell you!

by Anonymousreply 129April 7, 2023 3:35 PM

Annaleigh needed a director to rein her in. Sweeney Todd is not supposed to play like an episode of “Laugh-In”

But then again, she got rave reviews and will probably win the Tony, so in the words of Ethel Merman…”What the fuck do I know?”

by Anonymousreply 130April 7, 2023 3:44 PM

A lot of people have criticized Ashford’s over the top comedy. After listening to the 1979 opening night performance, I was surprised by how Angela Lansbury made very zany choices that were unlike her recordings. I wonder if the CD and video have desensitized us to the sharpness and extremity of Lansbury’s performance. For my taste, the worst Lovetts are those whose restraint upsets the balance with Sweeney.

by Anonymousreply 131April 7, 2023 4:02 PM

I read one of the penny dreadfuls introducing the characters, and while Mrs Lovett was buxom and bawdy and a bit of a slattern she wasn’t what you’d call zany.

by Anonymousreply 132April 7, 2023 4:09 PM

r104 -

[quote]I saw the production in NY with my very left wing friend. She wanted to leave at intermission because she hated the “corny” music and love story.

We on the very left wing HATE Rodgers & Hammerstein, why yes we do!

by Anonymousreply 133April 7, 2023 4:20 PM

Why did audiences on the tour hate OKLAHOMA!?

What a disingenuous parade of possible reasons, including the tried-and-true "everyone's racist" chestnut:

[quote]Was it our cast, featuring a diverse group of individuals whose bodies would not normally be allowed to inhabit these classic characters because of race and gender identity?

[quote]Or because the band was a seven-piece bluegrass getup, replacing orchestral strings with banjo twangs? Was it our set being static and largely made of plywood, or the costumes being modern? The live video feeds that gave the audience a close-up, cinematic encounter with certain characters? Or the expressionistic lighting, with the stage giving way to large swaths of bold colors to underline characters’ green lust or red rage?

The real reason is not mentioned: This was a bait-and-switch, advertised as "Rodgers and Hammerstein's OKLAHOMA!," when it was not.

It was Daniel Fish's Rodgers and Hammerstein's OKLAHOMA!.

People came to see a beloved musical and got treated to a "conversation" about immigration, or Trumpism, or something, complete with Curly suddenly being revealed as a psychopathic murderer and a bloodbath on stage that would've done Sweeney Todd proud. Not to mention the nightmare ballet (fka the dream ballet), and (when I saw it at St Ann's) a real deadbeat of a Laurey sucking the life out of her songs and the proceedings in general.

For many of the audience, this was the first time, and probably the last time, they'll ever see this show live. Which means they'll never see the actual show. But at least they were forced into a "conversation."

by Anonymousreply 134April 7, 2023 4:38 PM

Excuse me, r125, freewheeling patio numbers can *never* be overdone.

by Anonymousreply 135April 7, 2023 4:39 PM

I saw the Arena Stage (Washington, D.C.) production of “Angels in America: Millennium Approaches” last night and it was absolutely stunning. The best production of the show I’ve ever seen and so much better than the Broadway revival from a couple years back. All the performers shined, especially Nick Westrate’s Prior, Edward Hero’s Roy Cohn, and Deborah Ann Woll’s Harper. But, really, the whole cast was just superb. And the fresh take highlighting physicality of the actors worked very well. It was performed in the round and the entire set was covered in fine white sand.

If you have the chance to see it, I highly recommend.

The Washington Post review nails it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136April 7, 2023 5:49 PM

The WOKELAHOMA! story perplexes. The production was a critic's darling, but the show never grossed much and didn't even make a year's run, even after winning the blasted Tony for Best Revival. Pretty clear people weren't interested -- just theater people, many of whom (like me) thought it was ridiculous and an ego dive for the director. So if it didn't work in NYC, why did they possibly think it would work across America? How could they be surprised by the reaction -- I saw people walking out when I saw it in NYC. What kind of idiots were involved in this decision making?

by Anonymousreply 137April 7, 2023 5:55 PM

[quote]What kind of idiots were involved in this decision making?

The same kind of idiots who chose to build a Funny Girl revival around Beanie.

by Anonymousreply 138April 7, 2023 6:00 PM

r98 here...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139April 7, 2023 6:07 PM

I've now read two or three reviews of "Sweeney Todd" and "A Doll's House" that mention them ending with surprising "coup de théâtre" scenes.

I'll probably not see either one, so can anyone sate my curiosity and tell me what happens? I'm familiar with both shows, so spoil away, please.

by Anonymousreply 140April 7, 2023 6:08 PM

Thanks, r136. I’m seeing this in a few weeks and could not convince my partner to go, even though he saw the original on Broadway. A lot of people have seen the show many times.

There is a free reading of Perestroika on 4/17 with this cast. Arena didn’t seem to commit to doing the second part, but I bet they will figure it out.

by Anonymousreply 141April 7, 2023 6:09 PM

[quote] The same kind of idiots who chose to build a Funny Girl revival around Beanie.

Don't forget us!

by Anonymousreply 142April 7, 2023 6:43 PM

Thank goodness Daniel Fish's abortion of a non-gender binary cis-adjacent Most Happy Fella got such horrible reviews and apparently died once and for all.

by Anonymousreply 143April 7, 2023 6:53 PM

R140, here's the Sweeney surprise ending....although I don't really think it's a "coup de théâtre." But it was a cute touch. Those who hate spoilers should not continue to read...

In the final moments of the show, as Sweeney and Mrs. Lovett walk upstage (away from the audience) a hole opens up in the stage and they both hop into it...I guess perhaps signifying that they are both going to hell. It got a nice audience reaction.

by Anonymousreply 144April 7, 2023 6:59 PM

From what you all have told us about the show, I would have preferred an ending where Sweeney pokes Mrs. Lovett in the eyes and goes, "Nyuck, Nyuck, Nyuck."

by Anonymousreply 145April 7, 2023 7:03 PM

Or pokes out her eyes.

by Anonymousreply 146April 7, 2023 7:15 PM

[quote] Creatives behind the new 1776

We've already forgotten you. Well, 75 percent of you.

by Anonymousreply 147April 7, 2023 7:26 PM

[QUOTE] There is a free reading of Perestroika on 4/17 with this cast. Arena didn’t seem to commit to doing the second part, but I bet they will figure it out.

Thanks for this tidbit which I did not know. I can’t imagine there aren’t already serious discussions at Arena right now about mounting Part Two next season, especially considering the excellent reviews they are getting.

by Anonymousreply 148April 7, 2023 7:32 PM

Why was the entire cast of six kicked out couple of months ago? In the past When something like that happened, there was some chatter. This was quick and silent.

by Anonymousreply 149April 7, 2023 7:56 PM

R111

What do you know? What can you say?

by Anonymousreply 150April 7, 2023 8:42 PM

Nothing nefarious. Their contracts ended, and they all wanted to move on...

by Anonymousreply 151April 7, 2023 8:42 PM

^^ about the Phantom post-show extravaganza?

by Anonymousreply 152April 7, 2023 8:43 PM

Wish I could see the ANGELS in D.C. Nick W is an insufferable person but a fine actor. How was his dick?

by Anonymousreply 153April 7, 2023 8:43 PM

Is Nick Westrate gay? He looks so hot in some photos and so not hot in others.

by Anonymousreply 154April 7, 2023 8:50 PM

Weirdly, the Wokelahoma tour didn't come to Seattle where local lefties might have ate it up.

Oklahoma is a weird show anyway....great music but the story is weird and unpleasant. All the characters are ghastly. Curly is a dope, Laurie is a bitch and Jud is an incel being played by Laurie.

by Anonymousreply 155April 7, 2023 8:58 PM

[quote]There is a free reading of Perestroika on 4/17 with this cast. Arena didn’t seem to commit to doing the second part, but I bet they will figure it out.

They didn't commit because Part 2 is a B*O*R*E.

by Anonymousreply 156April 7, 2023 8:58 PM

Hop hop hop hop hippity hop, on a golden day.

by Anonymousreply 157April 7, 2023 9:01 PM

R156 if you're bored by Perestroika, then you're an idiot with bad taste.

The scenes with Roy Cohn and Ethel Rosenberg alone are worth going to see it.

by Anonymousreply 158April 7, 2023 9:03 PM

[quote]The scenes with Roy Cohn and Ethel Rosenberg alone are worth going to see it.

To see those you have to sit through the dreadful Mormon Welcome Center crap, which is so boring.

Tony Kushner overwrote Angels in America. It could be pared down and still be very effective.

by Anonymousreply 159April 7, 2023 9:06 PM

Isn't most of the nudity in "Angels" in the second play? That's at least when Lee Pace got naked in the last NY production.

by Anonymousreply 160April 7, 2023 9:19 PM

Perestroika is fine except the ending seems to go on for another half hour after it feels it's over.

by Anonymousreply 161April 7, 2023 9:26 PM

Westrate is definitely gay. SO gay.

by Anonymousreply 162April 7, 2023 9:36 PM

Only 3 shows above $2 million this week--Phantom, Wicked and The Lion King. Phantom only there because of the closing hype. Hamilton has been below $2 million for awhile now. Broadway needs some new shows that can bring in $2 million a week. I thought MJ could do it, but it hasn't been able to.

by Anonymousreply 163April 7, 2023 9:58 PM

What's it to you, dramedy?

by Anonymousreply 164April 7, 2023 10:04 PM

"Was it our cast, featuring a diverse group of individuals whose bodies would not normally be allowed to inhabit these classic characters because of race and gender identity?"

When race and gender identity are very specific and important facets of these characters in this place and this time? Yes

by Anonymousreply 165April 7, 2023 10:04 PM

[quote]"Was it our cast, featuring a diverse group of individuals whose bodies would not normally be allowed to inhabit these classic characters because of race and gender identity?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166April 7, 2023 10:15 PM

All the tourists are not going for Broadway. They are lining up at Ellen's Stardust Diner. Seriously, the city should do something because it's impossible to walk on the sidewalk with that crowd every night.

by Anonymousreply 167April 7, 2023 10:20 PM

The white stairs...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168April 8, 2023 12:06 AM

I can’t stand all the ancestors in Perestroika

by Anonymousreply 169April 8, 2023 1:03 AM

London is loving Fish-lahoma because it’s critical of America.

by Anonymousreply 170April 8, 2023 1:05 AM

London also loved We Will Rock You, the Queen Musical.

by Anonymousreply 171April 8, 2023 1:16 AM

R169, the ancestors appear in Millennium Approaches, not Perestroika.

by Anonymousreply 172April 8, 2023 1:19 AM

R167

I work at 1633 Broadway…if I’m in a foul mood at lunchtime, I walk past Ellen’s and tell people on line that the food sucks and there’s much better in the neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 173April 8, 2023 1:28 AM

r173...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174April 8, 2023 1:32 AM

Do you mention the rats, r173?

by Anonymousreply 175April 8, 2023 1:44 AM

So does it look like Ben Platt is a lock for his second Tony?

by Anonymousreply 176April 8, 2023 1:45 AM

It depends on how much money Marc Platt spends on them.

by Anonymousreply 177April 8, 2023 1:47 AM

Ben Platt could win 6 Tonys, he's still not going to sell out concert venues or get cast in quality films.

by Anonymousreply 178April 8, 2023 1:50 AM

I think the leading actor in a musical race will come down between Ben and Josh with the latter emerging victorious, chiefly because the former already has one.

by Anonymousreply 179April 8, 2023 2:01 AM

The ancestors in the Arena Stage production are handled very well. Fabulous costumes too.

by Anonymousreply 180April 8, 2023 2:05 AM

[quote] the ancestors appear in Millennium Approaches, not Perestroika.

No, there’s a long boring bit about Prior’s ancestors in Part 2.

by Anonymousreply 181April 8, 2023 2:35 AM

[quote]I work at 1633 Broadway…if I’m in a foul mood at lunchtime, I walk past Ellen’s and tell people on line that the food sucks and there’s much better in the neighborhood.

I've walked by the line and told the sheep on line that they should not patronize that awful place because it has such a terrible reputation in terms of how they treat their employees.

by Anonymousreply 182April 8, 2023 2:45 AM

[quote] where local lefties might have ate it up.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 183April 8, 2023 2:50 AM

Aww, Maryann...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184April 8, 2023 2:56 AM

Ben is only meh in Parade. Maybe J Harrison?

by Anonymousreply 185April 8, 2023 3:12 AM

Saw FAT HAM. Liked the first half but boy does it go downhill in the last half hour. The author had no idea how to end it. Some of the acting is so broad I felt like I was watching a Black version of MAMA'S FAMILY.

The audience, of course, ate it up.

by Anonymousreply 186April 8, 2023 3:12 AM

Josh Groban is not winning a Tony. It's either Platt or Harrison.

by Anonymousreply 187April 8, 2023 3:14 AM

R186 - has it changed much since it was at The Public? I loved it there. I knew zero about it going in. Was a last minute ticket when I was visiting NY and a concert I was going to got cancelled. This is all subjective, but I didn't find any of the performances overly broad at The Public. Some of them were certainly quite... heightened, but I thought the actors backed up those heightened emotions or comedy with some genuine gravitas that it all worked for me.

Yes, the ending kind of springs out of nowhere, but I found it so funny and joyful and unexpected that I didn't mind it at all.

by Anonymousreply 188April 8, 2023 3:46 AM

Remind us, what is the gay content in Fat Ham?

by Anonymousreply 189April 8, 2023 3:47 AM

Just saw “Good Night, Oscar” first preview: Sean deserves Tony

by Anonymousreply 190April 8, 2023 4:07 AM

Those with a curious open mind have experienced this ancient musical on stage and on screen for almost 80 years.

by Anonymousreply 191April 8, 2023 4:15 AM

Aww, good.

by Anonymousreply 192April 8, 2023 4:17 AM

Camelot is a Camel Toe!

by Anonymousreply 193April 8, 2023 6:52 AM

R181 Well, you're the long boring part of Thread #521 Part B so I guess we'll all just have to endure how awful and boring both Perestroika and you are.

by Anonymousreply 194April 8, 2023 6:55 AM

What are you talking about, R194? He's posted there once.

by Anonymousreply 195April 8, 2023 7:40 AM

Yay! I sold my ticket to Camelot. I’m so glad I’m missing good show, as I know it will piss me off.

Also, the tour of Into the Woods is the best production of the show I’ve ever seen. Didn’t see the Broadway revival. Loved Milky White and the whole cast.

by Anonymousreply 196April 8, 2023 7:54 AM

[Quote] Ben Platt could win 6 Tonys, he's still not going to sell out concert venues or get cast in quality films.

How many tiles are there for a sniveling boy – child with a good voice who can snot on command?

by Anonymousreply 197April 8, 2023 11:31 AM

I’ve never seen a production of Oklahoma where Jud is played by Laurie. How do they handel costume changes. Is it a male actor or a female actor playing the role? Interesting concept.

by Anonymousreply 198April 8, 2023 12:17 PM

The only thing I care about is the fact that the actor in Opie’s photo is very good looking. Does this good looking after ever get naked during the play?

by Anonymousreply 199April 8, 2023 12:21 PM

I used Siri to dictate my sentences that’s why they’re all fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 200April 8, 2023 12:22 PM

Shallow Siri then?

by Anonymousreply 201April 8, 2023 12:23 PM

R181, that’s just factually untrue. Prior Walter’s ancestors appear in Act 3 of Part 1. If you are going to hate on a play, at least don’t blame it for a scene from another play.

by Anonymousreply 202April 8, 2023 12:29 PM

Really curious if we'll get performances from vets after the last Phantom show...

by Anonymousreply 203April 8, 2023 12:41 PM

We finally solved a decades-long mystery, R173 is this woman’s husband.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204April 8, 2023 12:42 PM

[quote]Sean deserves Tony

Tony Goldwyn?

by Anonymousreply 205April 8, 2023 12:51 PM

Interesting contrast this year - the play acting awards seem very set while the musical acting awards are as hotly contested as the Wicked year

by Anonymousreply 206April 8, 2023 1:22 PM

[quote]I used Siri to dictate my sentences that’s why they’re all fucked up.

Well, please STOP doing that IMMEDIATELY, for Christ's sake.

by Anonymousreply 207April 8, 2023 1:22 PM

Siri gives less percent effort than Sara Porkalob.

by Anonymousreply 208April 8, 2023 1:23 PM

I kind of love someone decrying the idiocy of a production where he describes scenes out of his own fantasy and cannot remember how the second act began.

by Anonymousreply 209April 8, 2023 1:26 PM

The revival of Into the Woods is my absolute favorite production of a show I saw in its original incarnation. I saw the original Sweeney Todd too, perhaps the greatest show I ever experienced, but this revival is only just soso. I also saw Parade, but since I disliked it, I haven't seen the revival. I'd give the Tony to Into the Woods, but I doubt it will get it. I think it will go to Sweeney.

I've seen this new Camelot, and it deserves nothing.

by Anonymousreply 210April 8, 2023 1:30 PM

R210, did you think the revival of Into the Woods surpassed the original? I thought it was the closest to matching the original cast, but I couldn’t say any individual was better than the original. Compared to the impeccable physical production in the original, the revival just seemed adequate. I wonder if the revival benefited because the audience welcomed familiar script and score. 1987 was a tough crowd for this show.

by Anonymousreply 211April 8, 2023 1:40 PM

Thanks, r184. Plunkett was excellent. For some reason, I thought that Peters and Patinkin left the show at. the sane time. Or was this a clip of Plunkett as understudy?

by Anonymousreply 212April 8, 2023 1:48 PM

[Quote] Just saw “Good Night, Oscar” first preview: Sean deserves Tony

Glad to hear. Whenever I’ve seen Sean Hayes on stage, he’s fantastic

by Anonymousreply 213April 8, 2023 1:58 PM

R211, I do think the revival of Into the Woods (which I initially saw at City Center Encores!) did match the original, and in many ways surpassed it. But one way it did not match the original was the physical production. And yet, the much simpler set of the revival relied solely on the actors to "tell" the story, and they did not disappoint. Hard to imagine anyone could match Joanna Gleason, but I thought Sara Bareilles was just great! So surprising, funny, and she sang it very well.

I really loved Neil Patrick Harris as the Baker, so much better than Chip Zien.

In fact, I'd say this revival made me love the show, as one of Sondheim's best. Originally, I thought it was a medium effort of Sondheim.

by Anonymousreply 214April 8, 2023 1:59 PM

Laura Benanti has miscarriage while performing in front of 2,000 people.

Top that, bitches!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215April 8, 2023 2:03 PM

Mandy returned to Sunday for two months after Harry Groener's departure. This was the period when they filmed the show..

by Anonymousreply 216April 8, 2023 2:05 PM

I really love Laura Benanti--and sympathize deeply with her about this and her past health issues.

But this really may be oversharing. I wish she'd filter more, for her own sake.

by Anonymousreply 217April 8, 2023 2:08 PM

Agreed. There was no reason for her to tell that story other than a little publicity. She claims it was for people who are going through the same thing. Ummm, miscarriages have been happening since the beginning of mankind and they are very common, and not derided or misunderstood. Nothing about you telling this story sheds any light on the experience.

by Anonymousreply 218April 8, 2023 2:23 PM

Thanks, r216. I. thought I saw Peters' and Patinkins' "last performance." Guess it was their last together. He was sobbing at the end, which at the time was quite affecting.

by Anonymousreply 219April 8, 2023 2:44 PM

R190 Orlando or Danza?

by Anonymousreply 220April 8, 2023 3:09 PM

Sean deserves Tony Randall.

by Anonymousreply 221April 8, 2023 3:11 PM

I saw Into the Woods at Encores and then again on Broadway with the last cast. I actually was really impressed with Stephanie J Block, but I missed Heather Headley. I think the Encores experience was the better of the two…but I think the revival in any incarnation deserves the Tony.

by Anonymousreply 222April 8, 2023 3:50 PM

After seeing the video clips of Stephanie Block, where she acted up a storm, I was surprised to see her performance in person. It was clever, inventive, and relatable. In theater especially, a video does not always capture convey what happens in front of an audience.

by Anonymousreply 223April 8, 2023 3:55 PM

Patinkin left before Peters. I was in the audience for her last performance and by that time, Westenberg was playing George. And he played it beautifully.

by Anonymousreply 224April 8, 2023 3:57 PM

How was his barking?

by Anonymousreply 225April 8, 2023 4:08 PM

Will Lear be winning the Tony for Best Director of a Musical? Who will be her toughest competition?

by Anonymousreply 226April 8, 2023 4:57 PM

Laura Benanti craves attention now that her ex Stephen Pasquale's beautiful young wife is having the Broadway career she craved.

by Anonymousreply 227April 8, 2023 4:59 PM

I think Michael Arden will take it for Parade if they decide not to go with Maria Friedman after she declared she finally fixed Merrily.

by Anonymousreply 228April 8, 2023 5:02 PM

Isn’t Merrily opening too late for the Tony awards this season?

by Anonymousreply 229April 8, 2023 5:03 PM

Oh, you're right. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 230April 8, 2023 5:04 PM

R2227, Philippa Soo is one of my favorite performers, but she has not eclipsed Benanti. She hasn’t show Benanti’s comic inventiveness or fearlessness, her voice is not as strong, and she only has Tony nominations so far. And she doesn’t have anything near an equivalent resume. That said, her singing is SO much less affected. It’s strange that Benanti insists on singing in a way that undercuts her intelligent acting choices.

by Anonymousreply 231April 8, 2023 5:13 PM

^ Must agree with all of the above.

And it sounds like R227 hasn't seen CAMELOT at LCT yet. Ouch.

(To be fair, Phillipa is the best thing in it, IMHO.)

by Anonymousreply 232April 8, 2023 5:32 PM

Benanti should do more comedy, especially funny musical roles. She was a hoot in "Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown" and as Melania on Stephen Colbert's show. Her Amalia in "She Loves Me" and Eliza in "My Fair Lady" were very good, though something was lacking from them in terms of her acting choices. But over the top comedy suits her, the zanier the better.

by Anonymousreply 233April 8, 2023 5:33 PM

I find Phillipa Soo unbelievably bland. Not quite Kellie O'Hara bland (Is anyone, though?) but she really makes no impression whatsoever. Amelie was a horrible show on its own, but she sure did it no favors by playing the lead.

Benanti is 100x more talented and watchable.

by Anonymousreply 234April 8, 2023 5:36 PM

Why do you think Pasquale and Benanti divorced?

by Anonymousreply 235April 8, 2023 5:40 PM

Benanti will always be my favorite Cinderella in Into the Woods and Louise in Gypsy. Those performances took me by surprise as I've usually found those roles rather thankless, but she brought lots of nuance and humor to them. My favorite was how you could see the moment her Louise clicked with an audience when she gets her first unintentional laugh during her first strip and you see it register in her eyes that her sense of humor is her gimmick and she starts to relax a bit. It was a beautiful moment.

She's excellent at comedy, but everyone's right when they say her voice is a little too polished and classical. She has the comedy chops of a traditional "broad", but then she starts to sing and it's like a prim church lady or one of those overdone theatre students.

by Anonymousreply 236April 8, 2023 5:54 PM

Is Benanti talented enough to be a Mame?

by Anonymousreply 237April 8, 2023 6:47 PM

[quote] Not quite Kelli O'Hara bland (Is anyone, though?)

Ahem!

by Anonymousreply 238April 8, 2023 6:53 PM

Laura B played poor lovelorn Amalia like she was an efficient private secretary at an insurance company in the Seagram's Building, c. 1960.

by Anonymousreply 239April 8, 2023 7:10 PM

Individual viewers respond to very different channels when watching a performer. I used to think O’Hara and Rebecca Luker were bland until I saw them live. In person, I couldn’t take my eyes off of them because of their warmth and intelligence.

Some want distinctive vocal stylings and, when they don’t hear that, they judge the performer harshly. Kelli O’Hara is never going to please these people. Others want authenticity and connection or distinctive characterizations or emotional fireworks. Before you dismiss performers who are respected, it’s good to consider what others are seeing that you may be missing.

by Anonymousreply 240April 8, 2023 7:14 PM

I loved Laura as Amalia Balshat in She Loves Me. BTW, I have miscarried many times while on stage. The most memorable was when I was playing “Sue” in Nanette at the Oakridge Dinner theatre in the ‘90’s. Right as the “Happy” tap dance started, there it went.

by Anonymousreply 241April 8, 2023 7:17 PM

Sounds slippery r241.

by Anonymousreply 242April 8, 2023 7:19 PM

Was some doctor there on stage? I've been watching too many calves and other being delivered in graphic detail by "The Incredible Dr. Pol" as part of my pandemic tv watching, so my imagination took off when I heard Ms. Benanti's news.

by Anonymousreply 243April 8, 2023 7:22 PM

Don't get Soo, either. Especially in CAMELOT. Although the script and director don't give her much help.

by Anonymousreply 244April 8, 2023 7:25 PM

I preferred Judy Kuhn as Amalia (and that production in general).

by Anonymousreply 245April 8, 2023 7:46 PM

Benanti's performance in the Ascot scene in MY FAIR LADY was one of the funniest and most charming I have ever scene in more than 50 years of theatergoing. She absolutely had the audience in the palm of her hand. That scene is pretty much surefire anyway, but she brought it to a whole different level.

by Anonymousreply 246April 8, 2023 8:03 PM

Benanti also had a fantastic moment in the opening scene. While Higgins blathered on about dialects, she spotted an opportunity and got very interested. Eliza’s agency is written in the script, and Lauren Ambrose probably did the same thing, but it really worked with Laura.

by Anonymousreply 247April 8, 2023 8:15 PM

Benanti completely ruined She Loves Me by not understanding what the character is. She's more interested in getting laughs than investing in a character. (Other casting helped to ruin the show, but she was the worst.)

by Anonymousreply 248April 8, 2023 8:21 PM

I hope you're not besmirching the beautiful Boyd Gaines.

by Anonymousreply 249April 8, 2023 8:30 PM

[quote] Kelli O’Hara is never going to please these people. Others want authenticity and connection or distinctive characterizations or emotional fireworks. Before you dismiss performers who are respected, it’s good to consider what others are seeing that you may be missing.

I've never understood the Kelli-bashing, r240. I am a kind of an accidental fan of hers, having seen her hundreds of times in almost everything she has done on Broadway. When others say that she's bland, unfunny, and has no sense of timing, I always think of this clip I've included. I believe that she often deliberately underplays - sometimes to a fault - so I suppose I can understand why others don't "get" her.

[quote]I really love Laura Benanti--and sympathize deeply with her about this and her past health issues. But this really may be oversharing. I wish she'd filter more, for her own sake.

My thoughts exactly, r217. The NY Times headline "Laura Benanti Describes Performing Concert Through a Miscarriage" did her no favors, leading to the kinds of unfortunate visuals that r243 went through.

What were they thinking?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250April 8, 2023 8:31 PM

Miscarriage?

I've had more babies yanked outta me than a burning orphanage!

by Anonymousreply 251April 8, 2023 8:33 PM

R218, thank you for letting us know you don't have the slightest awareness of the world around you.

At a time when pregnancies are being criminalized in many states and women are being forced to carry nonviable pregnancies that risk women's lives and health, it's pretty clear a lot of people don't understand what miscarriages are. So yeah, they very much are derided and misunderstood.

And presuming you're a gay man since you're on this site, it seems likely that a woman who's had multiple miscarriages might have a better idea of why women who've had the same experience would be comforted hearing others share their experience than you do.

by Anonymousreply 252April 8, 2023 8:45 PM

I'd say the Tony for best director of A musical is a toss-up between Jessica Stone and Michael Arden.

by Anonymousreply 253April 8, 2023 8:55 PM

So I guess it's a pissing contest.

by Anonymousreply 254April 8, 2023 8:58 PM

[quote]Benanti completely ruined She Loves Me by not understanding what the character is. She's more interested in getting laughs than investing in a character. (Other casting helped to ruin the show, but she was the worst.)

I think there's a lot of truth to that, but I mostly blame the director of SHE LOVES ME, who is not known as one of our better directors. In MY FAIR LADY, Benanti was very much playing the character even as she brilliantly managed to nail all of the laughs in the show.

by Anonymousreply 255April 8, 2023 9:16 PM

We all have such different expectations. I was thrilled for Benanti when she landed her dream role in My Fair Lady, but was surprised at how cool I was to her performance. Perhaps the dreadful attempt at Eliza's accent(s) took me out of everything, but I recall her performance feeling far too contemporary (and I'm not referring to any of the director's choices, like her through-the-audience exit), I just mean the look/feel of Laura's performance -- her carriage, her intonation etc. When I saw the show, the understudy for Higgins was on and he was WONDERFUL. It was his show that night.

Whereas, perhaps because I'd never seen a production and didn't have expectations for it, I was utterly charmed by her (and the whole cast) in She Loves Me.

by Anonymousreply 256April 8, 2023 10:21 PM

Extremely well put, r252.

by Anonymousreply 257April 8, 2023 10:24 PM

[Quote] She claims it was for people who are going through the same thing.

Everything that every actor ever does is for attention.

by Anonymousreply 258April 8, 2023 11:00 PM

After Running Longer Than Any Broadway Show, Starlite Deli Faces Final Curtain in Times Square:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259April 8, 2023 11:20 PM

SHUCKED! -- now at $10 higher per ticket!

by Anonymousreply 260April 8, 2023 11:52 PM

How many miscarriages have you had, r258?

by Anonymousreply 261April 8, 2023 11:56 PM

Poor Boyd and Malcolm.

by Anonymousreply 262April 9, 2023 12:40 AM

Even Benanti can’t bring a boring Gueneviere to life

by Anonymousreply 263April 9, 2023 12:51 AM

Boring (which Guinevere is not...capricious, impulsive and strong-willed, yes, but never boring) would be preferable to the cold and unsympathetic "progressive" scold of the current production.

by Anonymousreply 264April 9, 2023 2:12 AM

Laura Benanti is really good in that Amy Schumer show where she plays the mother.

I think she is shocked she never crossed over into television/film stardom. I think she sees herself in the same league as Idina and Audra, but unfortunately she’s in the same world as Kelli O’Hara.

by Anonymousreply 265April 9, 2023 2:21 AM

But isn't it strange that Laura is actually the most photogenic of all those Broadway gals? Certainly more than pretty enough for TV.

I had the same issue with her Amalia, though, she just seemed to contemporary and rather invulnerable. She might have been a great Lili/Kate in Kiss Me Kate and Kelli would have been a better Amalia. But then that's typical Roundabout fuckery for you.

by Anonymousreply 266April 9, 2023 3:01 AM

[quote] Laura Benanti is really good in that Amy Schumer show where she plays the mother.

I think you’re referring to Life With Beth, the same show where Jonathan Groff plays a personal trainer who demands Amy take her Plan B pill in front of him so he can make sure she’s not trying to get pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 267April 9, 2023 3:15 AM

R259 this prompted me to think of Hello Deli, and turns out was an article today (sorry, it's the NYP) on Rupert Jee announcing he's selling it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268April 9, 2023 3:16 AM

I thought she was pretty good in Supergirl

by Anonymousreply 269April 9, 2023 3:17 AM

Rupert! I've missed him so. Thanks, R268.

by Anonymousreply 270April 9, 2023 3:44 AM

[quote] At a time when pregnancies are being criminalized in many states and women are being forced to carry nonviable pregnancies that risk women's lives and health, it's pretty clear a lot of people don't understand what miscarriages are. So yeah, they very much are derided and misunderstood.

Do us a favor, frau. Don't try to score points by bringing in abortion, which has fuck all to do with the topic.

by Anonymousreply 271April 9, 2023 4:02 AM

I think Laura is (or can be) a fantastic comedic actress. She's had two really wonderful roles on shortlived sitcoms which should have run longer, Starved and Go On. I thought Go On would have brought her a lot more work, even though it only lasted a season. She really held her own with Matthew Perry and showed she had the chops to be a major tv player, but it just didn't happen.

The recent production of She Loves Me was a disaster from the ground up. Other than Zachary Levi, it was completely miscast, and it was totally mis-directed. Like Eric Schaeffer mis-directed. Gavin Creel was especially horrible and totally out of his element (if he even has an element). So don't blame Laura for that one.

by Anonymousreply 272April 9, 2023 4:06 AM

What's the best thing on Broadway right now? Thinking of visiting NY this month and can't get a sense of what I'd enjoy best....

Sweeney Todd has Groban and AA (who I both enjoy) but it sounds like the acting sucks and the set is nothing special.

I like Little Shop of Horrors but the current Audrey seems to be no big shakes, so I'm feeling like I could skip it and miss nothing (does she have a good alternate who isn't an Apatow but can really belt it out?)

Parade is rarely revived and a classic (right?) so I feel like I should check that out but the sets are apparently bad...?

Camelot had all the interesting stuff sucked out of it, apparently, and is just boring so...pass.

Funny Girl has a lousy set and I don't care about the show really so...pass.

Bad Cinderella....is a no.

Phantom's closing....seen it, and Wicked, and Lion King, and Aladdin...

What does that leave?

Is there anything opening or off-Broadway that maybe I haven't heard of that's good in all departments: score, sets, costumes, cast and direction?

Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 273April 9, 2023 5:00 AM

^ It also seems like New York, New York is completely skippable and so is Some Like It Hot...so I completely forget to even list them.

by Anonymousreply 274April 9, 2023 5:02 AM

I think you answered your own question.

by Anonymousreply 275April 9, 2023 5:03 AM

Why, Shucked, of course!

by Anonymousreply 276April 9, 2023 5:25 AM

I was puzzled by She Loves Me, because it had such a reputation as a crowd-pleaser and yet....watching the proshot, I cared more about that beautiful set than I did the characters. Shazam was alright, I guess, but Benanti did nothing for me, especially her big "ice cream!" number, which left me scratching my head over how it could have been billed as such a wow moment.

I love Jane Krakowski a ton, but she too felt...out of place? I don't care about ages (it's theatre, ages can be faked) but she still seemed too...old to be playing the dumb shopmaid (sorry Jane!) Am I alone there? And Gavid is great too, but he was just sort of...trying to do something and off to the side with it.

What made the original show work? What were the elements between the actors/characters that made it click?

And why is it these days so few *good* productions get filmed and broadcast? Anything Goes in the UK? Great, good choice. But She Loves Me? Why? And no Hello Dolly? Seriously?!

by Anonymousreply 277April 9, 2023 5:39 AM

r275 Oh gosh, I hope not! I'd like to see something still. Is there anything anyone could recommend? Off-Broadway is fine, I just want a good score/sets/story/cast. Maybe I'm forgetting something.

Shucked sounds...hokey as hell. The trans gal from Glee sounded okay in the video of their number I watched online, but...I don't go to Broadway for cornfield type shows. I probably wouldn't even go see a popular production of Oklahoma because cowboys and haybales do not make me want to spend $$$ on tickets.

by Anonymousreply 278April 9, 2023 5:42 AM

"In the same league as Idina and Audra"...and Sutton: seven time Tony nominee and two time winner, lead in two series (and one ran for four seasons)

by Anonymousreply 279April 9, 2023 8:52 AM

R273: out of those options, personally I'd choose Parade. Or perhaps Goodnight, Oscar.

Your mileage may vary.

by Anonymousreply 280April 9, 2023 9:07 AM

Not going to see Parade because of the set is missing the point.

Didn't Scott Ellis direct both the earlier great revival and the later completely awful revival of She Loves Me? So how does blaming the director work?

by Anonymousreply 281April 9, 2023 11:28 AM

I I bet your mother wishes she had one, r261.

by Anonymousreply 282April 9, 2023 11:39 AM

I would also recommend seeing PARADE out of all those options. And, personally, I thought the set worked perfectly for the production (just don't sit too close as most of the action is on a raised platform - front mezzanine is really best). It's not a perfect show but almost more interesting for its flaws than some better written newer shows.

by Anonymousreply 283April 9, 2023 12:16 PM

[quote]Not going to see Parade because of the set is missing the point.

Yes, and anyway, I think the physical production of PARADE is excellent, The use of many projections of the actual historical figures, places, etc. adds a lot, and all of that is woven into the story very well. As for SWEENEY TODD, the set it simple but it does the job perfectly, and of course it includes the pieces that everyone wants to see -- the catwalk, the trick chair, the body disposal unit. Also the grave, and I won't say any more about that.

[quote]Didn't Scott Ellis direct both the earlier great revival and the later completely awful revival of She Loves Me? So how does blaming the director work?

Because some of us didn't love the earlier production either, even though I think most everyone would agree it was certainly much better than the recent one. Also, news flash: Scott Ellis can be VERY inconsistent in terms of the quality of his direction. For example, many people felt his TAKE ME OUT was by far the best work he's ever done.

by Anonymousreply 284April 9, 2023 12:29 PM

R277, It was missing me.

by Anonymousreply 285April 9, 2023 12:31 PM

Looks-wise, in my opinion, Laure Benanti and Kelli O'Hara are pretty much on par. Both beautiful women.

by Anonymousreply 286April 9, 2023 12:33 PM

I was not very interested in PARADE, to be honest. But, now that I have seen everything new, I can say that PARADE is the best musical out there. An incredible cast, a great score and a perfect production.

by Anonymousreply 287April 9, 2023 12:42 PM

no one has mention Kim Akim. Has it fallen that fast?

by Anonymousreply 288April 9, 2023 12:45 PM

I saw Laura Shoop sub for Benanti in She Loves Me and she was lovely and sang beautifully.

by Anonymousreply 289April 9, 2023 1:24 PM

R273 Kimberly Akimbo is the best new musical on Broadway now. Bad Cinderella is the worst. Diana-level worst.

by Anonymousreply 290April 9, 2023 1:24 PM

[QUOTE] What's the best thing on Broadway right now? Thinking of visiting NY this month and can't get a sense of what I'd enjoy best....

LEOPOLDSTADT. It’s phenomenal. I saw it back around Halloween and was bowled over by it.

by Anonymousreply 291April 9, 2023 2:07 PM

Actually, r273, many of the shows you mention are worthy, despite their flaws. Considering what a nitpicker you are, I hear that Boca Raton is lovely this time of year.

by Anonymousreply 292April 9, 2023 2:13 PM

Even without an intermission, Leopoldstadt doesn't drag, either. And I thought Brandon U. gave some amazing performances.

by Anonymousreply 293April 9, 2023 2:22 PM

Brandon Uranowitz, David Krumholtz, and Faye Castelow seem like sure-fire nominees for LEOPOLDSTADT come Tony nomination time. However, I would love for them to find room for Arty Froushan as well who I thought really nailed his dual roles in the play.

by Anonymousreply 294April 9, 2023 2:31 PM

R282 I wish you well.

by Anonymousreply 295April 9, 2023 2:33 PM

Will Brandon Uranowitz finally win the Tony that has long eluded him, or will he be like DL fave Estelle Parsons?

by Anonymousreply 296April 9, 2023 2:52 PM

Brandon is so good in the play, especially his final scene which is an unforgettably haunting moment in the theater. His would be a well-deserved win.

by Anonymousreply 297April 9, 2023 3:04 PM

[quote]no one has mention Kim Akim. Has it fallen that fast?

Is that the play at the Boo, r288?

[quote]LEOPOLDSTADT. It’s phenomenal.

Agree. If you haven't seen it, don't miss it.

by Anonymousreply 298April 9, 2023 3:38 PM

But don't drink a lot of water before you go.

by Anonymousreply 299April 9, 2023 4:14 PM

Do we shock you?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300April 9, 2023 4:31 PM

Apple is really working hard to get anyone to watch Schmigadoon.

by Anonymousreply 301April 9, 2023 4:55 PM

Schmigaddoon, not funny-not a tenth as clever as any dinner party Ive been to in the past 10 years

by Anonymousreply 302April 9, 2023 5:04 PM

The only good thing about Schmigadoon is the orchestrations

by Anonymousreply 303April 9, 2023 5:12 PM

Where is James Snyder? I still want him to fuck me.

by Anonymousreply 304April 9, 2023 5:14 PM

What kind of cruel parent would name their child Aynrand Ferrer?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305April 9, 2023 5:20 PM

r 292 - Ha! Guilty as charged. I am very picky, mostly because I don't like to spend a fortune in NY on shows that I'll forget about easily.

I completely forgot about Hadestown, which I was curious about, and Kimberly Akimbo too, thanks for the reminders.

by Anonymousreply 306April 9, 2023 5:29 PM

I recently saw Hadestown, because I had never seen it before and figured why not. I was surprised as how few audience members knew the source material. When Orpheus turned around too soon, there were GASPS!, followed by audible sobbing. It was a total MARY! moment and actually rather endearing. Now, if they had sung along, that would be a different story.

by Anonymousreply 307April 9, 2023 5:34 PM

Jennifer Garner could NOT stop smiling when working with Victor Garber!

What’s Victor’s secret?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308April 9, 2023 5:43 PM

Garber and Garner were wonderful as father and daughter on “Alias” with Lena Olin playing Garner’s mother. Lena made a GREAT villain on the show. Isabella Rossellini and Sonia Braga played Lena’s sisters at one point!

by Anonymousreply 309April 9, 2023 5:48 PM

Totally don't get the Schmigadoon love that it gets from so many, including some of my show queen friends. I thought the new song lyrics would bring some of the sting from Forbidden Broadway, but the parodies are feeble.

by Anonymousreply 310April 9, 2023 6:06 PM

R309, Victor officiated at Jennifer’s wedding to Ben Affleck.

by Anonymousreply 311April 9, 2023 6:08 PM

Lena Olin did a modified version of her Irina Derevko character from “Alias” playing 1970s-era Eva Braun in “Hunters.”

by Anonymousreply 312April 9, 2023 6:38 PM

[quote]Totally don't get the Schmigadoon love that it gets from so many, including some of my show queen friends. I thought the new song lyrics would bring some of the sting from Forbidden Broadway, but the parodies are feeble.

They need to land with a wider audience than show queens, r310, so they aren't going to be Sondheim level.

by Anonymousreply 313April 9, 2023 7:15 PM

[Quote] Jennifer Garner could NOT stop smiling when working with Victor Garber!

She kept looking at his giant, ears

by Anonymousreply 314April 9, 2023 7:23 PM

What's with the comma?

by Anonymousreply 315April 9, 2023 7:27 PM

Is there a poster named ears?

by Anonymousreply 316April 9, 2023 7:31 PM

Daddy makes me smile every time I see him, too!

by Anonymousreply 317April 9, 2023 8:10 PM

Tony nominations are in 3 weeks. What Do we think girls??

Will Into the Woods be remembered as the triumph it was….or will it be overshadowed by the Sweeney Todd?

Will Kimberly get Shucked?

Some like it Hot? New York, New York

by Anonymousreply 318April 9, 2023 8:12 PM

Some Like It Tepid

by Anonymousreply 319April 9, 2023 8:21 PM

Bad Cinderella will surely win for Best Manscaping.

by Anonymousreply 320April 9, 2023 8:36 PM

[quote]Victor officiated at Jennifer’s wedding to Ben Affleck.

And how'd that work out for her? Still smiling?

by Anonymousreply 321April 9, 2023 8:52 PM

I am an only child - girl - and in 1979 the summer I turned 14 my dad changed jobs and we moved from Los Angeles to a suburb of Boston. It was July and school didn’t start until September - I didn’t know anyone - it was like being on a desert island - so lonely and isolated. A bunch of our stuff was delayed in a 2nd moving van so my mom took me out to get a record player. Since I had a million Broadway and movie albums on the way - I picked one I didn’t have and wasn’t familiar with. Camelot….. Turning 14 - being alone all summer I played it over and over and over - to my child/ woman self it was SO romantic - I could picture all of it - and Robert Goulet! And I LOVED the song Guenevere “Even the King himself is hoping that he’ll return!” more than - yikes - 40 years later if you stopped me at the super market I could flawlessly sing all 4 parts of Take Me To The Fair….. I have a feeling that I would not like this production.

by Anonymousreply 322April 9, 2023 9:19 PM

[quote]I have a feeling that I would not like this production.

But you certainly do enjoy your hyphens.

by Anonymousreply 323April 9, 2023 9:21 PM

R305, I did a double-take when skimming the thread and seeing your comment. I had to click through to confirm you meant what I thought you meant, and... wow

by Anonymousreply 324April 9, 2023 10:05 PM

It's shorter than Jacquelinesusann, r324.

by Anonymousreply 325April 9, 2023 10:20 PM

Robert Goulet! Robert Goulet! My God, Robert Goulet!

by Anonymousreply 326April 9, 2023 10:28 PM

Original Camelot was written for Julie Andrews and even after 60 years I cannot see anyone else performing her role.

by Anonymousreply 327April 10, 2023 12:03 AM

Isn't the correct DL spelling now "Jennyvere"?

by Anonymousreply 328April 10, 2023 12:39 AM

Saw Shucked last night. I didn't get it. There were a few solid laughs, but it was mostly relentless and eventually tedious. Music instantly forgettable --nashville soundbits. While Alex Newell was wailing a very average song, I kept thinking of Martin Short's "the big fat black woman comes out to save your show." It's certainly not terrible like "Almost Famous" but I don't know who they think the audience is for this. The tourists want to see a hit Broadway show, not a Branson wannabe.

by Anonymousreply 329April 10, 2023 12:42 AM

Ugh, r329. Every time I think of going to this show, I remember the hours I have spent at terrible musicals with similar buzz from fans. I keep hoping for Urinetown or Book of Mormon or Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. But then I remember Some Like It Hot, Honeymoon in Vegas, Something Rotten, and Tootsie. Painful.

by Anonymousreply 330April 10, 2023 12:57 AM

R330, I'm not r329, and didn't dislike it as much as they did, but unless you get a comp or rush ticket, it's not worth the money. It's a passable way to spend the time, but there are certainly better.

by Anonymousreply 331April 10, 2023 1:19 AM

R330 just forget about the boy....I mean, musical.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332April 10, 2023 1:55 AM

R331 "a passable way to spend the time, but there are certainly better."

That will be my epitaph.

by Anonymousreply 333April 10, 2023 2:16 AM

My epitaph will be:

Doris LaChat will have to do as Stella

by Anonymousreply 334April 10, 2023 3:52 AM

Every time one of the Millie clips shows up on these threads I have a look and I always think wtf is that?

by Anonymousreply 335April 10, 2023 4:19 AM

WTF is that? The work of the the still-great Michael Mayer, of course!

by Anonymousreply 336April 10, 2023 10:59 AM

with no magic, how does camelot now explain the whole Sword In The Stone as the way arthur becomes king?

by Anonymousreply 337April 10, 2023 11:40 AM

Supreme executive power now descends from a mandate from the masses, not some farcical aquatic ceremony.

by Anonymousreply 338April 10, 2023 11:46 AM

Thoroughly Modern Millie was one of the last “Golden Age” musicals on Broadway, complete with traditional score, belting leading lady, tap dance, and racist, Asian stereotypes.

by Anonymousreply 339April 10, 2023 11:48 AM

R339, And my first Tony.

by Anonymousreply 340April 10, 2023 12:10 PM

r337, the new version has Guenevere casting doubt that the feat was magical. Arthur says something like, "I was the 10,000th man to try to pull out the stone," to which she says (again paraphrasing), "That just mean that 9,999 men loosened it for you." Lame.

by Anonymousreply 341April 10, 2023 12:26 PM

I prefer Dennis's explanation r341.

by Anonymousreply 342April 10, 2023 12:40 PM

I'm bored with Bart Scher's floors

by Anonymousreply 343April 10, 2023 1:23 PM

R341 The new Camelot sounds woke.

Someone also said that Guinevere now scolds Arthur for using the phrase 'simple folk.'

🙄

by Anonymousreply 344April 10, 2023 1:32 PM

[quote]Thoroughly Modern Millie was one of the last “Golden Age” musicals on Broadway, complete with traditional score, belting leading lady, tap dance, and racist, Asian stereotypes.

Until "The Drowsy Chaperone." But of course that was an homage to those musicals, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 345April 10, 2023 2:16 PM

Those big dance numbers always bring Mama the gold!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 346April 10, 2023 2:17 PM

Cindy Adams says “Cabaret is returning” ??

by Anonymousreply 347April 10, 2023 2:26 PM

Cabaret says "Cindy is still living" ??

by Anonymousreply 348April 10, 2023 2:36 PM

[quote] Cindy Adams says “Cabaret is returning” ??

Is it that new British version with Eddie Redmayne and Jessie Buckley?

by Anonymousreply 349April 10, 2023 2:39 PM

[quote]Cindy Adams says “Cabaret is returning” ??

Each production tries to outdo the previous ones in hip, edgy Weimar sleaziness. Terrified to think about how they "push boundaries" with this one. Slings? Fist fucking? Nazis in MAGA hats?

by Anonymousreply 350April 10, 2023 2:41 PM

[quote]Each production tries to outdo the previous ones in hip, edgy Weimar sleaziness. Terrified to think about how they "push boundaries" with this one. Slings? Fist fucking?

Fist fucking was already done in the Mendes production, r390.

by Anonymousreply 351April 10, 2023 2:45 PM

^oops! Sorry, future r 390!

[quote]Each production tries to outdo the previous ones in hip, edgy Weimar sleaziness. Terrified to think about how they "push boundaries" with this one. Slings? Fist fucking?

Fist fucking was already done in the Mendes production, [R350].

by Anonymousreply 352April 10, 2023 2:47 PM

This new version of 'Cabaret' will be presented as if it were being staged by actual Nazis.

by Anonymousreply 353April 10, 2023 2:51 PM

Or as if it were being staged FOR actual Nazis in a concentration camp.

by Anonymousreply 354April 10, 2023 2:52 PM

Cindy Adams is full of shit. She hasn't the connections anymore to report anything groundbreaking. She's half-embalmed already.

by Anonymousreply 355April 10, 2023 3:11 PM

Incidentally, when I was a teenager in '90s, I spent 9 months in a children's unit of a psychiatric hospital after a suicide attempt.

That summer we put on a makeshift production of MAME in the rec room for our parents/families. 😅

We actually lip-synched to the cast recording whenever it was time to burst into song. 😂

I was cast in three roles (Babcock, Bouregard, Adult Patrick) and kept messing up my lines 'cause I got confused which lines were whose. 🤣

They actually recorded it, for some reason, so it must exist somewhere. I kind of want to watch it again, but at the same time, I cringe at the thought. 😆

by Anonymousreply 356April 10, 2023 3:13 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 357April 10, 2023 3:14 PM

Oh, BROTHER!

by Anonymousreply 358April 10, 2023 3:16 PM

[quote] Incidentally, when I was a teenager in '90s, I spent 9 months in a children's unit of a psychiatric hospital after a suicide attempt.

Wow, that's a super long time to keep someone locked up after a suicide attempt. Why so long?

by Anonymousreply 359April 10, 2023 3:17 PM

R357 is that what is called campaigning for a Tony?

by Anonymousreply 360April 10, 2023 3:17 PM

Watch U.K.'s Complete Big Night of Musicals, Featuring Casts of Hamilton, Six, Newsies, Wicked, More

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 361April 10, 2023 3:19 PM

Yeah, he wants that second Tony.

by Anonymousreply 362April 10, 2023 3:32 PM

R356. Sounds more entertaining than Shucked and SLIH combined.

by Anonymousreply 363April 10, 2023 3:42 PM

I still think J. Harrison Ghee is going to steal the Tony from Platt and Groban.

by Anonymousreply 364April 10, 2023 3:44 PM

"Next I read The Diary of Ann Frank for the first time. Wow! A total revelation, and it made me even more aware of my Jewish heritage than ever before."

by Anonymousreply 365April 10, 2023 3:50 PM

R365 It's spelled 'Anne Frank.'

by Anonymousreply 366April 10, 2023 4:03 PM

No, it's spelled AnnE Frank!

by Anonymousreply 367April 10, 2023 4:07 PM

If only Otto hadn't gotten that drum set for Anne.

by Anonymousreply 368April 10, 2023 4:11 PM

Unwisely cut from Act 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 369April 10, 2023 4:13 PM

[quote]Josh Gorban cannot act (or at least not very well) and misses almost the menace that Len Cariou brought to the role. I listed to Cariou's "Epiphany" recording this morning, and it has all the passion that Groban lacks. Groban's voice is better than Cariou's but I'd rather have a singing actor. There are also a few warm moments for Groban's Sweeney, which seemed oddly out of character.

Maybe he can act but he's not acting like Len Cariou. He's bringing a different interpretation to it but that is a sin in the Sondheimite world. Only the original is acceptable! NO ONE can sing "Losing My Mind" better than Dorothy Collins!

by Anonymousreply 370April 10, 2023 4:14 PM

[quote]NO ONE can sing "Losing My Mind" better than Dorothy Collins!

Well, they can't, r370.

by Anonymousreply 371April 10, 2023 4:17 PM

[quote]I still think J. Harrison Ghee is going to steal the Tony from Platt and Groban.

If that happens, it will be undeserved and he will have won for woke/political reasons.

by Anonymousreply 372April 10, 2023 4:30 PM

Not necessarily, r372. It could be a Bette/Gloria/Judy situation.

by Anonymousreply 373April 10, 2023 4:33 PM

Yes, I was thinking more of a split vote kind of thing.

by Anonymousreply 374April 10, 2023 4:39 PM

Is it possible to have cameltoe of the mouth because Ben Platt has that!

by Anonymousreply 375April 10, 2023 4:42 PM

I also love the OBC of Camelot.

But My Fair Lady is still my favorite Leopold & Loeb musical.

by Anonymousreply 376April 10, 2023 4:47 PM

[quote]Yes, I was thinking more of a split vote kind of thing.

Sure, that's possible. But if the award winds up going to Ghee for whatever reason, it will be undeserved in my opinion. With the possible exception of Kevin Del Aguila's performance, I don't think any aspect of SLIH deserves a Tony nomination, let alone an award.

by Anonymousreply 377April 10, 2023 4:48 PM

R335 oh come on, Millie was a fun show. What's your beef?

For the record, I adored Bernadette's Losing My Mind. She was devastating up there. I felt it. Great interpretation.

Hey, I both Lillias White and Jennifer Holiday gave great performances as Effie. Sometimes we can accept a variety of interpretations. It's not always "first is best".

The real question is: does Groban's interpretation work in the context of this new version of the show? No one of you have answered that yet....

by Anonymousreply 378April 10, 2023 4:50 PM

[quote] Sure, that's possible. But if the award winds up going to Ghee for whatever reason, it will be undeserved in my opinion. With the possible exception of Kevin Del Aguila's performance, I don't think any aspect of SLIH deserves a Tony nomination, let alone an award.

I can't say, not having seen it, but honestly, how many Tonys have been given out the past couple decades that were not deserving? More than were.

by Anonymousreply 379April 10, 2023 4:58 PM

by Anonymousreply 380April 10, 2023 5:01 PM

Well, I wouldn't say that, R379. Examples?

by Anonymousreply 381April 10, 2023 5:03 PM

Are you looking at me R379?

by Anonymousreply 382April 10, 2023 5:10 PM

I was surprised to learn that Aaron Tveit is back at Moulin Rouge right now.

I can't think of a single Tony Winner who won, and then returned to the role after a not-that-long absence. Was there any fanfare for this return? Is his presence boosting much-needed sales, or is the show doing just fine?

...I'm more used to people using a Tony win to transition to "bigger and better" things. Doesn't this give the impression (in the political land of showbiz) that he's "crawled back" because he can't find anything better?

by Anonymousreply 383April 10, 2023 5:21 PM

Why DID he win in the first place, anyway? Is there anything special about the character in the stage show (haven't seen it) compared to the movie?

Ewan was great in the film, but he just had to be woobie and carry a tune and that's about it.

by Anonymousreply 384April 10, 2023 5:22 PM

Oh for god's sakes, R381, really? Fine, here are but a handful.

Aaron Tveit for Moulin Rouge

Santino Fontana for Tootsie

Ali Stroker for Oklahoma

Robert Horn for Tootsie

Tony Shalhoub for The Band's Visit

Ariel Sta'chel for The Band's Visit

Gavin Creel for Hello Dolly

The Humans for Best Play

Audra McDonald in Lady Day (and about 4 others)

Lena Hall for Hedwig

Patina Miller for Pippin

Gabriel Ebert for Matilda

Newsies for Best Score

Sutton Foster for Anything Goes

Nikki James for Mormon

Scarlet Johanssen for View from the Bridge

Karen Olivo for WSS (she still can't dance, peoples)

Marissa Jaret Winokur for Hairspray

Christine Ebersole for 42nd Street

Cady Huffman for The Producers

MEMPHIS for ANYTHING

There are several others (such as David Hyde Pierce for Curtains. etc.) that I'm not going to list as there are so many people who will dispute it because the actor is beloved and it will be called a career award. If you go back even further you'll find more examples (and dozens more if you just go by nominations alone), but you can't say that the Tonys are given out primarily on merit.

by Anonymousreply 385April 10, 2023 5:22 PM

The only thing you have managed to demonstrate r385, is that the Tony Awards (like all other entertainment awards) are meaningless and irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 386April 10, 2023 5:25 PM

Well, sure. I didn't say they weren't. But the question put before me was to show examples of undeserved Tony Awards.

by Anonymousreply 387April 10, 2023 5:27 PM

I think your examples prove your point, r387.

by Anonymousreply 388April 10, 2023 5:40 PM

[quote]Unwisely cut from Act 2

That was my favorite part in the real story. 😂

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 389April 10, 2023 5:43 PM

I just got an email from Theatre Row touting an "All Star Cast" in their revival of God of Carnage. Those stars...

David Burtka

Carey Cox

Gabe Fazio

Christianne Noll

by Anonymousreply 390April 10, 2023 6:09 PM

R385, Phyllis Newman for Subways are for Sleeping.

by Anonymousreply 391April 10, 2023 6:15 PM

All stars in their own minds, perhaps?

by Anonymousreply 392April 10, 2023 6:15 PM

I think if J. Harrison Ghee is nominated, he'll win. He was by far the best performance in SLIH -- if only because he underplayed while everyone else was PLAYING!!!!

by Anonymousreply 393April 10, 2023 6:26 PM

Listening to Groban on Fresh Air. The recorded pre-show speech voice is Judith Light

by Anonymousreply 394April 10, 2023 6:39 PM

[quote]Cabaret says "Cindy is still living" ??

Cindy was probably watching "Schmigadoon/Schmicago" and got confused.

by Anonymousreply 395April 10, 2023 6:43 PM

[quote]But My Fair Lady is still my favorite Leopold & Loeb musical.

Do you have a favorite Sacco & Vanzetti musical?

by Anonymousreply 396April 10, 2023 6:44 PM

r385, did you happen to see Phyllis Newman in Subways? I did, and her "I Was a Shoo-in" totally stopped the show. 60 years ago, and I've never forgotten it. That Tony award was well deserved.

by Anonymousreply 397April 10, 2023 6:56 PM

Phyllis Newman will have to do...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 398April 10, 2023 7:05 PM

[quote] [R385], did you happen to see Phyllis Newman in Subways? I did, and her "I Was a Shoo-in" totally stopped the show. 60 years ago, and I've never forgotten it. That Tony award was well deserved.

No, I wasn't alive at the time. But I also didn't list it.

by Anonymousreply 399April 10, 2023 7:07 PM

I think you're confusing me with R391 who was making a joke.

by Anonymousreply 400April 10, 2023 7:08 PM

There is no bigger Sondheimite than me, and I thought Groban was more than fine in ST. I've never held Cariou as the only perfect Todd.

by Anonymousreply 401April 10, 2023 7:10 PM

Can someone tell me why the Shucked producers keep trying to sell this idea of an "unusual route" to Broadway? My understanding is they had some readings, went out of town (Dallas), re-wrote, went out of town again (Utah) and then came in. Why is this unusual?

by Anonymousreply 402April 10, 2023 7:11 PM

Perhaps they consider casting Alex Moowel as Lulu the unusual part.

by Anonymousreply 403April 10, 2023 7:13 PM

uufda

by Anonymousreply 404April 10, 2023 7:35 PM

How does Alice Newton do in Shucked? Over the top like they were in OOTI?

by Anonymousreply 405April 10, 2023 7:56 PM

Elaine Paige was a very fine and loud Mrs. Lovett over at the late NY City Opera some years ago, but she was playing opposite an opera singer who couldn't really act.

by Anonymousreply 406April 10, 2023 9:35 PM

[quote]I was surprised to learn that Aaron Tveit is back at Moulin Rouge right now.

Actually, he was back, but I believe the last performance of his return engagement was this past weekend, I'm not sure which day.

by Anonymousreply 407April 10, 2023 9:40 PM

Thanks for the list, R385, but no need to be so exasperated. I do disagree with some of the Tony Awards you consider to have been "undeserved," though FWIW, I would agree with maybe as much as half of the list :-)

by Anonymousreply 408April 10, 2023 9:42 PM

Tveit desperately needs the paycheck.

by Anonymousreply 409April 10, 2023 9:58 PM

Having now seen every contender, Kimberly Akimbo is still the clear frontrunner for Best Musical. It will easily beat Almost Famous, & Juliet, KPOP, A Beautiful Noise, Shucked, and Bad Cinderella. Some Like It Hot and New York, New York have similar strengths and will probably end up splitting the vote for anyone who wants an "old-fashioned" musical instead of Kimberly Akimbo, but neither is as good of a show or without its own obvious flaws.

Kimberly Akimbo might slip on nominations for design, but I have a feeling there will be multiple performers nominated for the excellent work they're doing at the Booth. If there is an upset and another show takes home the prize, it would be another casualty in the committee's seeming vendetta against David Stone, who lost the Best Musical award for Next to Normal, Spelling Bee, and Wicked.

by Anonymousreply 410April 10, 2023 10:00 PM

Agree R410. And Leopoldstadt for Best Play, not sure what else will get nominated but at this point what else might win?

Best Revival in both the Play and Musical categories are where surprises are more likely.

by Anonymousreply 411April 10, 2023 10:10 PM

[quote] I was surprised to learn that Aaron Tveit is back at Moulin Rouge right now.I can't think of a single Tony Winner who won, and then returned to the role after a not-that-long absence. Was there any fanfare for this return? Is his presence boosting much-needed sales, or is the show doing just fine?

Bebe Neuwirth? She came back a couple of times and even came back Velma but also returned as Roxie and Mama Morton

by Anonymousreply 412April 11, 2023 12:49 AM

There are rabid (and deluded) fans of FAT HAM who insist it will steal the Best Play Tony from LEOPOLDSTADT. Singapore/Fling, for example.

by Anonymousreply 413April 11, 2023 12:53 AM

R412, Both Nathan and Matthew returned to The Producers.

by Anonymousreply 414April 11, 2023 1:04 AM

R402, Dallas and Utah are not exactly Boston and Philadelphia…

by Anonymousreply 415April 11, 2023 1:11 AM

I didn’t know Lens Dunham was ever in Little Shop of Horrors. Nobody told me!

by Anonymousreply 416April 11, 2023 1:28 AM

FAT HAM can't hold a candle to Leopoldstadt. The play is a mess. I wouldn't rule out competition from Prima Facie or Dear Oscar, though.

by Anonymousreply 417April 11, 2023 1:29 AM

[quote][R402], Dallas and Utah are not exactly Boston and Philadelphia…

This made me think of Do Black Patent Shoes Really Reflect Up? Success in Chicago and Philadelphia, closed the week it opened on Broadway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 418April 11, 2023 1:30 AM

R396 probably KELLY.

by Anonymousreply 419April 11, 2023 1:34 AM

I thought Matthew Lombardo wrote Dear Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 420April 11, 2023 1:39 AM

Celeste Holm returned to close Oklahoma.

by Anonymousreply 421April 11, 2023 1:42 AM

Donna McKechnie went back into A Chorus Line, 10 years after she had opened it.

by Anonymousreply 422April 11, 2023 1:48 AM

"Do Black Patent Leather..." ran for years in Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 423April 11, 2023 1:59 AM

[quote] "Do Black Patent Leather..." ran for years in Chicago.

Yes, r423. That's why I said "Success in Chicago"

[quote] I wouldn't rule out competition from Prima Facie or Dear Oscar, though.

[quote] I thought Matthew Lombardo wrote Dear Oscar.

I want whatever r417 and r420 are smoking. Dear Oscar was about Oscar Wilde. Good Night, Oscar is about Oscar Levant, and Matthew Lombardo mostly writes for/about ancient actresses, then sues the actresses that portray them when they contract cancer.

HIGH ran only a few days longer that Black Patent Shoes...

by Anonymousreply 424April 11, 2023 2:13 AM

Oh, it was Doug Wright, my mistake. I remembered there being a lawsuit being threatened over it a while back, so naturally when I think of playwrights and lawsuits, my mind first goes to Matthew Lombardo!

by Anonymousreply 425April 11, 2023 2:19 AM

Thanks, and fair enough, r425! I have never understood where/how Lombardo gets his backing. He is a dreadful writer and an awful person. He lucked out with Tea at Five, about Katherine Hepburn, portrayed by Kate Mulgrew.

HIGH was hideous, a true embarrassment for Kathleen Turner...but yes, Lombardo's nadir was suing Valerie Harper, who was quite remarkable as Tallulah Bankhead in Lombardo's Looped.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 426April 11, 2023 2:35 AM

There's so few new scores this year. I'm assuming that Almost Famous and KPOP have been forgotten. That just leaves Kimberly Akimbo, Some Like It Hot, Bad Cinderella and Shucked.

by Anonymousreply 427April 11, 2023 2:40 AM

Bad Cinderella won't necessarily get nominated over a closed show. They may nominate Almost Famous just to round out the category.

Would New York New York be eligible even with a partially new score? And are there any scores for plays?

by Anonymousreply 428April 11, 2023 2:45 AM

Ellen Greene returned to Little Shop of Horrors

by Anonymousreply 429April 11, 2023 2:45 AM

Yeah, for next 30 years.

by Anonymousreply 430April 11, 2023 2:46 AM

Remember several years ago, there was an Australian tv show called The Slap? And then American tv remade it?

It should be a Broadway musical. The Slap: A New Broadway Musical

Maybe it could be like Drood and the audience could vote whether the kid deserved the slap or not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 431April 11, 2023 2:58 AM

[quote]Oh, it was Doug Wright, my mistake. I remembered there being a lawsuit being threatened over it a while back, so naturally when I think of playwrights and lawsuits, my mind first goes to Matthew Lombardo!

Only natural, as that's all the POS is famous for.

[quote]I have never understood where/how Lombardo gets his backing. He is a dreadful writer and an awful person.

I don't think anyone understands that, but Lombardo used to be and maybe still is heavily into drugs in addition to being kind of a whore and also something of a grifter. So maybe some of the money somehow came from those activities.

by Anonymousreply 432April 11, 2023 3:04 AM

I think we're not discussing Jeff Whitty's magnum opus (at link) nearly enough.

It's a lot to get through, and only occasionally juicy. But still juicy. No one comes off especially well (not even the Go-Gos).

Jeff sounds like a LOT. But I don't doubt him one bit when he's dragging someone like director Michael Mayer. Or his lawyers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 433April 11, 2023 3:37 AM

Sutton Foster for Anything Goes was deserved, I'm sorry. I mean, I don't remember who else was nominated in her category that year, so if you're sore someone "more deserving" lost out, okay, fine, maybe.

But Sutton transformed and was terrific as Reno. Sure they built the show around her strengths as a dancer, but she transformed with that part. I was really impressed. Didn't think she could pull off that swagger.

Not the most astonishing transformation, mind you, but still great and in a great production.

Why did Gavin Creel (who is very good generally) and Aaron Tveit (who is overrated) win though?? And in those shows?? I'm a little confused there. I guess there was no competition those years, was that it?

by Anonymousreply 434April 11, 2023 3:38 AM

Well, if you're asking about Aaron Tveit, then there literally WAS no competition. He was the only nominee.

by Anonymousreply 435April 11, 2023 3:54 AM

Sutton!

by Anonymousreply 436April 11, 2023 3:55 AM

Thanks, R435. Amazing how many people forget that, as it was less than two years ago.

by Anonymousreply 437April 11, 2023 4:05 AM

R361, I watched that on YouTube and it was dreadful. I wouldn't want to see a single one of those shows. The English performers are not up to Broadway standards. The people singing the solos were universally not very good singers. The host was abominable in his number.

by Anonymousreply 438April 11, 2023 4:36 AM

R434, I think that Aaron benefited from being the only nominee in his category that year (a first I believe). It had been widely reported that it was possible for him to lose the award if he didn't get 60% of the vote. My assumption is that no one in the industry wanted to see him be humiliated in that way (the late-night comedians would have had a field day), so the voters came through for him. I think if there had been at least one other actor in the category (particularly Isaac Powell in "West Side Story," who was the only good thing about that production in my opinion), it might have been a different outcome.

by Anonymousreply 439April 11, 2023 4:41 AM

[quote] I'm more used to people using a Tony win to transition to "bigger and better" things. Doesn't this give the impression (in the political land of showbiz) that he's "crawled back" because he can't find anything better?

It doesn’t give an impression, it’s the actual truth. With the exception of Schmigadoon, which NO ONE watches, he doesn’t really get any non-musical related film or TV work. And yes, as has been said, his Tony was undeserved and was only given to him because the Broadway community is so small they didn’t want to humiliate him on camera.

by Anonymousreply 440April 11, 2023 4:47 AM

R426 - Looped doesn't look like much of a play, but the clips I've seen of Valerie Harper as Tallulah are a total hoot. She seemed to be having a marvelous time playing Tallulah.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 441April 11, 2023 5:15 AM

Looped is not a very good play. Valerie Harper was the only reason to see it (and a very good reason).

by Anonymousreply 442April 11, 2023 5:26 AM

I totally forgot!

To be honest, there haven't been any MUST-SEE productions these last few years. Music Man could have been, but Hugh isn't much of a singer and Sutton wasn't quite right for her role either.

Wish I'd seen Hello Dolly. Honestly thought it would tour more than it did.

Anyone else miss the Megamusicals? At least with Evita/Phantom/Cats/Les Mis, you knew you were getting a big score, big visuals, big performances, something memorable, love it or hate it.

Another Carrie or Spider-Man TOTD would even be appreciated these days, if only to spice things up.

by Anonymousreply 443April 11, 2023 5:31 AM

White Girl in Danger panned by the NYT. It needs to be repeated.... Who approved that mess?

by Anonymousreply 444April 11, 2023 6:08 AM

R444 All seemed to think it was far too long. But damned with faint praise.

by Anonymousreply 445April 11, 2023 6:16 AM

White Girl, you in danger. Not a single good review.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 446April 11, 2023 6:23 AM

Julie Andrews wouldn't get cast in this today because she's white.

by Anonymousreply 447April 11, 2023 6:41 AM

Can we please drop the racist crap, seriously though?

Yeah, we know - there are a lot more people of color on Broadway now, and sometimes in roles that don't seem like a logical fit for a person of color. It is what it is. For generations, they weren't given access to many (any?) leading roles, and now efforts are being made to change that. You find it awkward.

Okay. Got it.

Can we talk about other things now please?

by Anonymousreply 448April 11, 2023 7:37 AM

R448 The black shows are also, mostly shit.

by Anonymousreply 449April 11, 2023 9:59 AM

[Quote] Well, if you're asking about Aaron Tveit, then there literally WAS no competition. He was the only nominee.

And I found some loophole to leave out the lightning thief boy. Totally corrupt. If it’s a lame year, the eligible perfotmer gets nominated. Isn’t that how it’s supposed to work? It’s not for objectively good — it’s for the best of the year.

by Anonymousreply 450April 11, 2023 10:46 AM

[quote]Wow, that's a super long time to keep someone locked up after a suicide attempt. Why so long?

R359 Not to derail the thread, so I'll keep it concise.

To answer your question, I'm not entirely sure.. Granted, I was medicated most of the time, but I think I was deliberately kept in the dark, too. My adoptive parents were going through a bitter divorce at the time. And I've been estranged from them both for years, so I can't ask them now.

What I remember is that I was hospitalized the weekend just before Christmas 1995 and spent six weeks in some youth ward. In February 1996, I was sent to the children's unit of a state hospital, where we put on MAME and where I remained until September. After that, I lived in two separate residential homes for the next three years, until I aged out. Also, I attended an alternative school in that time.

That's pretty much what I recall. This was in Massachusetts, btw.

by Anonymousreply 451April 11, 2023 10:54 AM

Shit. ^ Sounds White Oleander-ish.

Very sorry for what you've gone through.

by Anonymousreply 452April 11, 2023 12:39 PM

Big hugs for R451

by Anonymousreply 453April 11, 2023 12:42 PM

Is "White Girl" a new, new work. Or just something pulled out of the old Reject File and re-worked?

In any case, white Bridge and Tunnel theatergoers and flyover tourists are not going to pony up three-figure prices to be told, at strident and hectoring volume, they are bad people.

by Anonymousreply 454April 11, 2023 12:43 PM

A musical version of “The Slap” doesn’t sound anymore preposterous than most of the Branson level garbage that Broadway “creatives” foist on audiences.

by Anonymousreply 455April 11, 2023 1:06 PM

[quote] If it’s a lame year, the eligible perfotmer gets nominated. Isn’t that how it’s supposed to work?

No, that's not how it's supposed to work. The Tony committee has the authority to do away with a category completely in a season if they feel that there aren't enough viable nominees. In the case of Tveit, the argument was made that because it was an abbreviated season, and also because (according to them) his work in the show was so deserving of a nomination, they couldn't ignore it.

My question is- why make him go through the 60% rigamarole? Back in 1995, the same thing happened with score and book of a musical (Sunset Boulevard) and the then Tony nominating committee decided to just award those categories to SB because they felt the work was so good, it merited the award even though there were no other viable nominees.

by Anonymousreply 456April 11, 2023 1:15 PM

Thank you for your answer R451. My reason for asking was personal, and I appreciate you sharing that.

by Anonymousreply 457April 11, 2023 1:17 PM

SHUCKED!

by Anonymousreply 458April 11, 2023 1:32 PM

Watch Sutton Foster as the Baker's Wife in Into the Woods, at the Hollywood Bowl in 2019 (clips on YouTube). She's fantastic, at least the 2nd best at that role after Joanna Gleason. And Sutton really made something out of Marian Paroo, despite not having the right singing voice.

by Anonymousreply 459April 11, 2023 1:35 PM

Will Beanie get nominated for Fat Ham?

by Anonymousreply 460April 11, 2023 1:41 PM

Camelittle.

by Anonymousreply 461April 11, 2023 1:48 PM

[quote]Sutton really made something out of Marian Paroo, despite not having the right singing voice.

Yes, she made her angrier and more bitter than usual, with an inappropriately modern sensibility that recalled, of all people, Mary Tyler Moore in her sitcom. ON TOP of the little matter that her singing voice is all wrong for those songs as written.

by Anonymousreply 462April 11, 2023 1:51 PM

This has been a pretty good season but yes the sets are so sparse overall or kind of forgettable. I was amazed at the huge, unique sets of some old flops I browsed on YouTube.

Even Dance of the Vampires looks incredible in some ways!

New York New York is a big disappointment in almost every way. Severe sound problems didn't help. Multiple people near me were leaning forward in confusion as mikes cut out or malfunctioned at critical moments.

The reliance on trunk songs didn't work: not bad, but not great. I'm glad I found a big discount for this.

by Anonymousreply 463April 11, 2023 2:31 PM

Interesting

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 464April 11, 2023 2:53 PM

[quote] No, that's not how it's supposed to work. The Tony committee has the authority to do away with a category completely in a season if they feel that there aren't enough viable nominees. In the case of Tveit, the argument was made that because it was an abbreviated season, and also because (according to them) his work in the show was so deserving of a nomination, they couldn't ignore it.

But how did they explain leaving out the Lightning Thief guy?

by Anonymousreply 465April 11, 2023 2:54 PM

So are Finch and Rosemary lesbians now?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 466April 11, 2023 2:55 PM

[quote] By the time you get to the dildo slapping and the “Hairspray” parody, followed by the anguished yet hopeful finale, you no longer know what hilarious, despairing, muddle of a planet you’re on.

Oh Michael R Jackson you're so bold

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 467April 11, 2023 2:57 PM

[quote] But how did they explain leaving out the Lightning Thief guy?

I assume they didn't deem his work worthy of a nomination, but because they felt Tveit's was, they went ahead and did what they did. The only difference from the Sunset Boulevard year was that instead of just awarding him the trophy from the get-go, they had this silly 60% thing. However, this may have been a rule that was put into place after the Sunset Boulevard awards, but I don't know that for sure.

by Anonymousreply 468April 11, 2023 3:02 PM

might anyone have the non paywall version of the nyt review?

by Anonymousreply 469April 11, 2023 3:04 PM

More Tony campaigning?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 470April 11, 2023 3:06 PM

Most like it cut.

by Anonymousreply 471April 11, 2023 3:08 PM

Marry me r471

by Anonymousreply 472April 11, 2023 3:52 PM

DL fave Patti LuPone is getting Oscar buzz for Beau is Afraid with Joaquin Pheonix.

Is there a world where she wins an Academy Award before Glenn Close?

by Anonymousreply 473April 11, 2023 3:53 PM

Where is said Oscar buzz?

by Anonymousreply 474April 11, 2023 3:55 PM

Beau is Afraid ain't winning any Oscars. People are going to finally realize there's no there there with Ari Aster.

by Anonymousreply 475April 11, 2023 4:00 PM

In her head. She also gets news from Uranus there.

by Anonymousreply 476April 11, 2023 4:04 PM

Good grief?!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 477April 11, 2023 4:18 PM

I can see theatergoers pissing from the mezzanine onto the 1% down below during Sweeney Todd. Perfect metaphor.

by Anonymousreply 478April 11, 2023 4:31 PM

I'd love to see James Norton's willy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 479April 11, 2023 4:34 PM

Patti’s review in the Hollywood reporter. The reviewer calls her the highlight

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 480April 11, 2023 4:51 PM

Given how middling the score is for Some Like It Hot, I can't even imagine having to sit through the cut material.

by Anonymousreply 481April 11, 2023 4:53 PM

Not to mention that I'm willing to be a lot of the cut material was previously written by Shaiman and Wittman for other projects.

by Anonymousreply 482April 11, 2023 5:08 PM

Sorry, that was supposed to be "willing to bet" above.

by Anonymousreply 483April 11, 2023 5:11 PM

If its a classic musical we need to rough it up and suck out all the charm, grace, warmth and magic to make sure its ready for the 21st century stage.

by Anonymousreply 484April 11, 2023 5:16 PM

This thread needs some chorus girls...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 485April 11, 2023 10:05 PM

"King Arthur came a lot, didn't he?"

-- Philomena Cunk

by Anonymousreply 486April 11, 2023 10:13 PM

When I saw A Strange Loop, I thought Jackson really needs an editor. White Girl sounds like it needs a half dozen editors. Where was the director in all this? Was she too enamored of the "genius" playwright or is she just not competent?

Jesse Green twisted himself in so many directions trying to be as positive as possible that he should just join Cirque de Soleil and stop writing. I wouldn't call his review a true pan.

by Anonymousreply 487April 11, 2023 10:41 PM

R464 That is interesting about Death Becomes Her. Kristi Dawn was originally named as being a part of the project when it was first announced several years ago but she’s now busy with her Queen if Versailles project.

by Anonymousreply 488April 11, 2023 10:57 PM

[quote]Was she too enamored of the "genius" playwright or is she just not competent?

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 489April 11, 2023 11:16 PM

Kristi Dawn seems to have been part of, or up for, a lot of workshops and productions that either never came to fruition or did with someone else.

Like Millie, speaking of Sutton.....

by Anonymousreply 490April 12, 2023 12:31 AM

Well, Kristi's a go-to girl, r490. Outside Millie, what other project came to fruition? And she and Sutton are different types so they obviously wanted to go a different direction with the character. Didn't they at casting time they weren't looking for a Julie but a Judy (voice-wise)? I seem to remember that.

by Anonymousreply 491April 12, 2023 12:38 AM

^

Didn't they at casting time SAY they weren't looking for

by Anonymousreply 492April 12, 2023 12:39 AM

I know she's been attached to a number of projects. The Death Becomes Her is I guess the latest one.

She was forever rumored to be doing the Dusty Springfield film.

by Anonymousreply 493April 12, 2023 12:43 AM

Don't forget Kristi Dawn's Dolly Parton musical. Or her revival of "Best Little Whorehouse...."

by Anonymousreply 494April 12, 2023 12:49 AM

Phillipa Soo has no sex appeal.

by Anonymousreply 495April 12, 2023 12:51 AM

Julie just OOZED it, r495.

by Anonymousreply 496April 12, 2023 12:54 AM

[quote]Looped doesn't look like much of a play, but the clips I've seen of Valerie Harper as Tallulah are a total hoot. She seemed to be having a marvelous time playing Tallulah.

I actually got to talk to Valerie about this. She should have won the Tony but she lost to Viola Davis in "Fences". The rub is, in the original production of "Fences" Mary Alice as the wife won the Tony for Best Featured Actress In A Play. For the revival since Viola is a movie star, they nominated her in the Best Actress category and won. The kicker is when the movie can out Viola was back in the supporting category for The Oscar, Golden Globes, Bafta and SAG. Valerie was very gracious and praised Viola.

by Anonymousreply 497April 12, 2023 1:21 AM

Looped was a terrible play. It's little more than a shaggy dog story. Tallulah has to loop a single line from her last film Die! Die! My Darling!: Here's the line:

"And so, Patricia, as I was telling you, that deluded rector has in literal effect closed the church to me".

She blows take after take, alternatively regaling her hapless sound editor with tales and interrogating him about his private life. It took hours to record that one line.

Harper had one really lovely moment. She recreates a scene for the editor from Streetcar = as Tallulah, camping it up for the boys. Tennessee said of that performance: 'It's the only time Blanche has been played by a drag queen.". In Looped, as the scene progresses, the lighting began to change, transforming the studio into a sultry New Orleans street as she starts playing Blanche for real. It was heavy-handed, but Harper elevated the material.

Here's another brief clip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 498April 12, 2023 2:37 AM

I wonder how Stefanie was...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 499April 12, 2023 2:43 AM

So, r498, it sounds like the best scene in LOOPED was written by Tennessee Williams.

by Anonymousreply 500April 12, 2023 2:54 AM

[quote]So, [R498], it sounds like the best scene in LOOPED was written by Tennessee Williams.

Ha! Yes, r500, plus a huge amount of the play consists of Tallulah stories and quotes. He even uses a true story. All Lombardo seems to have written was the side story, which I think involved the editor possibly being gay. Michael Mulharen, my favorite working man's actor, played an engineer. I can't recall if he was ever even seen.

This looks to be a decent capture of Looped - part one, anyway. I'll watching it later to see if the Streetcar scene holds up to my memory of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 501April 12, 2023 3:24 AM

[quote] I'll [be] watching it later to see if the Streetcar scene holds up to my memory of it.

Oh, dearing myself.

I watched the entire thing again. The play is even worse than I remembered. If you are inclined to watch, part 2 is entirely skippable - it's all Lombardo's invention about the closeted editor. Pure crap. I was reminded anew what a hack Lombardo is, and how dryly hilarious Mulharen can be. Brian Hutchinson ...does the best he can with what he was given.

The 3rd part, linked to here, has the Streetcar moment I spoke of. It starts around 15 minutes in. The scenery change from studio to New Orleans is lost because the bootlegger went for a close up, but Harper really is quite amazing.

The last half of this link is clips of interviews with the actors, director, and writer, plus a few reviews.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 502April 12, 2023 11:53 AM

Did Valerie ever appear in FOLLIES?

by Anonymousreply 503April 12, 2023 12:14 PM

Why does this sound more like a threat than fun news?

[quote] "What's really sad about it is that it's not necessary. It could easily, easily run on now but again, it's not my decision. But I would also be very conscious if I do go and that chandelier falls for the last time at the end of the first act, that it will rise again, somewhere in New York, [bold] much sooner than some people might think [/bold] ," Lloyd Webber revealed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 504April 12, 2023 1:49 PM

ALW and Mackintosh -- what a loathsome pair. That Hal Prince ever dealt with them so successfully is nothing short of miraculous, and they should both thank their lucky stars every day that he came into their lives. Instead, they are closing Hal's production of PHANTOM and will soon replace it with one that will, without question, be vastly inferior.

by Anonymousreply 505April 12, 2023 2:39 PM

[quote]For generations, they weren't given access to many (any?) leading roles

This is a myth. Mamba's Daughters, Cabin In The Sky, St. Louis Woman, Timbuktu, The Great White Hope, Anna Lucasta, Golden Boy (musical version), Jamaica, A Raisin In The Sun, Porgy, Porgy And Bess, Carmen Jones, Othello with Paul Robeson, The Emperor Jones, The Wiz, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, etc.

by Anonymousreply 506April 12, 2023 2:52 PM

*Lost In The Stars, 'Ain't Supposed to Die a Natural Death, Ain't Misbehavin', Fences, The Piano Lesson...

by Anonymousreply 507April 12, 2023 2:58 PM

Ariana returns to host Tonys:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 508April 12, 2023 3:02 PM

Translation: No one else wanted the gig.

by Anonymousreply 509April 12, 2023 3:06 PM

I hope she raps!!!!!!! 🤞🤞🤞

by Anonymousreply 510April 12, 2023 3:13 PM

Lea Michelle did the thing!

by Anonymousreply 511April 12, 2023 3:17 PM

You mean I'll soon be kicked off the gravy train?

by Anonymousreply 512April 12, 2023 3:32 PM

To Become Oscar Levant, Sean Hayes Revisited His First Role:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 513April 12, 2023 3:32 PM

Daisy, you've been eating Gravy Train since you were born.

by Anonymousreply 514April 12, 2023 4:09 PM

I thought that was Oscar Winner Jamie Lee Curtis.

by Anonymousreply 515April 12, 2023 5:54 PM

Actually, r515, I can see it.

by Anonymousreply 516April 12, 2023 5:59 PM

Hayes wears a rug, yes?

by Anonymousreply 517April 12, 2023 7:27 PM

I'm glad the Times reporter addressed the Adjmi scandal with Hayes (who really was more at fault than Doug Wright), even if Hayes refused to answer his questions. I don't get a very nice vibe from Hayes. Never have. He seems nasty and prickly.

by Anonymousreply 518April 12, 2023 8:14 PM

Camelot is dreadful. Songs cut, characters have disappeaed, Lyrics have been changed. intentions of the three major characters have been thrown into disarray. Sorkin has taken out all the magic, and by doing so, removes everything in the show that made sense. Arthur and Guenevere don't admit to loving each other until the last 10 minutes, and then Steve Urkel shows up. The jousting scene has been replaced with a sword fight in which Lancelot doesn't actually kill another knight, he wounds Arthur, who then awakens and declares, "I was unconscious". LCT has hit bottom.

by Anonymousreply 519April 12, 2023 8:17 PM

Are Camelot and Pictures From Home the beginning of the end of Bart Sher?

by Anonymousreply 520April 12, 2023 8:32 PM

[quote]Are Camelot and Pictures From Home the beginning of the end of Bart Sher?

One can only hope. With Sher, we quite some time ago reached the point of diminishing returns, and it has only been further and more swiftly downhill since then.

by Anonymousreply 521April 12, 2023 8:39 PM

It might be the beginning of the end for Aaron Sorkin on Broadway, too.

by Anonymousreply 522April 12, 2023 8:42 PM

[quote] Steve Urkel shows up

That made me laugh. That child actor was pretty bad. Was that the best one Sher could find?

by Anonymousreply 523April 12, 2023 9:23 PM

I thought those kids' roles were usually cast with two or three alternates. I thought I was seeing the most inept one. Turns out he's the ONLY one, which drains the ending of any sentiment or warmth.

by Anonymousreply 524April 12, 2023 10:51 PM

He can't be worse than Gaetan Matarazzo was in the last Les Mis revival. It was all I could do not to stand up and yell, "Shoot him, already!!"

by Anonymousreply 525April 12, 2023 10:54 PM

I respect Sher for doing big, grand productions of classic musicals with full orchestras, but some of this choices confuse me. I'm still not sure what he was trying to say with his ending of My Fair Lady. Was Eliza really there in the final scene? Was she a figment of Henry's imagination? Why was she leaving through the audience?

by Anonymousreply 526April 13, 2023 12:33 AM

Deadline reviews "Fat Ham":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 527April 13, 2023 1:19 AM

NYT:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 528April 13, 2023 1:22 AM

[quote]Was Eliza really there in the final scene? Was she a figment of Henry's imagination? Why was she leaving through the audience?

Why did she do a freewheeling patio number?

by Anonymousreply 529April 13, 2023 1:45 AM

I wish I could like FAT HAM but found it (at least at The Public) just a raunchy sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 530April 13, 2023 1:46 AM

R526, it made a lot of sense to me. Higgins has her cast as his creation, whether wretched or elegant or brilliant. He will never see her as someone he didn’t have a hand in creating, but he doesn’t see that because he is too self absorbed. Her “return” presumably happens in his mind, which is the only place she exists, and her exit into the audience shows that he realizes all of this.

That said, Sher’s wife played Ariel in a production of The Tempest and had an identical, though angrier, exit through the audience in a similar theater and (I think) to the same side of the house. It was Ariel rebelling against Prospero, much like Eliza to Higgins, and exiting his story.

by Anonymousreply 531April 13, 2023 1:56 AM

Didn't see Gaetan in Les Miz, but he more than holds his own in Sweeney.

by Anonymousreply 532April 13, 2023 2:01 AM

Didn't mean to prematurely start the new thread, just wanted to make sure it went to Phantom. Only fitting.

But we can close this one out still.

by Anonymousreply 533April 13, 2023 2:15 AM

CAMELOT opens tomorrow night.

Looking forward to the reviews, but I will put money on them being moderate-to-middling, because the mainstream presss still want to kiss Aaron Sorkin's and Bart Sher's asses, even though they are most responsible for the tedious mediocrity now onstage. More so than the performers, who are merely miscast.

It is, as R519 said, dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 534April 13, 2023 2:16 AM

What new thread, where?

by Anonymousreply 535April 13, 2023 2:16 AM

Eliza walked through the audience at the end? How silly.

by Anonymousreply 536April 13, 2023 2:21 AM

R535

WHAT MIRROR

WHO?

by Anonymousreply 537April 13, 2023 2:22 AM

The aforementioned new thread seems to be Phantom themed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 538April 13, 2023 2:23 AM

A Transparent Musical!

For the seven people still watching Transparent until the musical finale, who simply demanded a stage show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 539April 13, 2023 2:29 AM

I'll also endorse Gaten in Sweeney Todd. I think Annaleigh has better chemistry with him than Groban.

by Anonymousreply 540April 13, 2023 2:35 AM

There are now 3 active TG threads, and 60 posts left in this one.

Just saying.

by Anonymousreply 541April 13, 2023 2:48 AM

r538 Yeah, that was me. This is Phantom's last dance :( So why not. But obviously, it's a catch-all for theatre gossip too.

r534, I hope the reviewers rip it apart if it sucks as hard as you all say it does. There's nothing worse than reviewers who are afraid of speaking the truth and only hint at something being bad, which leaves us with having to parse out threads full of sometimes extreme opinions.

Just because someone was successful in the past doesn't mean they're incapable of being bad. It's baffling how "safe" reviews are these days, compared to the days of people crapping on Carrie on the 11 oclock news, or ripping Sondheim's work to shreds in print.

by Anonymousreply 542April 13, 2023 2:50 AM

Jesse Green (NYT) in particular seems especially "safe" in that regard lately. R452. Notably more over the past year.

I can't help but think the blowback on social media to his pan of KPOP (and a few other negative reviews from his past) really has muzzled him a bit. (For those who didn't follow, his review of KPOP last fall was pretty vitriolic, I think excessively so--and he was called out as a racist online. That show was doomed to fail, regardless.) He may fear going the way of Ben Brantley (who seemed to think that job was his for life).

I don't care if theatre critics (a pretty loathsome breed to start with) are universally loved. I care that they're accurate and truthful in their assessments (and that they write well. Looking at you, Maya Philips.)

by Anonymousreply 543April 13, 2023 3:35 AM

A friend dragged me to see "Peter Pan Goes Wrong." Christ what a shitshow that is.

All it takes is one starved for attention audience member to yell out something and the whole audience starts acting like a pack of wild hyenas, yelling whatever comes into their infantile brains, extending what should be a 90 minute show into two hours. Are British pantos this bad? And four cocktails after the show still doesn't stop the shakes.

The show has some truly funny bits, but they roll out every comedy trope ever invented and beat it to death. And not satisfied that it's dead, pick it up and beat it again. It gets tiring very quickly. This show would be fine at a zippy 90 minutes. At two hours, it's deadly.

The audience went nuts for Neil Patrick Harris. He hits his marks and is serviceable, but nothing special. He runs a fine line between loving the audience adoration and watching the clock to make sure he's out in time to get the leash back on the husband.

It makes me nostalgic for the plays of Charles Ludlam and Howard Crabtree, who knew how to put on a funny show but keep it moving. And I miss the gay men in the audience who had a good time but didn't act like it was feeding time at the zoo.

by Anonymousreply 544April 13, 2023 3:40 AM

I was bored by The Play That Goes Wrong, so the Peter Pan edition is not for the likes of me.

[quote]It makes me nostalgic for the plays of Charles Ludlam and Howard Crabtree, who knew how to put on a funny show but keep it moving.

ITA with this. Really inspired, really original camp humor (and I don't mean RuPaul's disciples) is a lost art. particularly in NY theatre. It's all our loss.

by Anonymousreply 545April 13, 2023 4:01 AM

If this hasn't been posted, and to wind up the thread faster, here's the big Doll's House coup de theatre...from outside the theatre.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 546April 13, 2023 4:16 AM

Tammy Grimes

by Anonymousreply 547April 13, 2023 4:20 AM

[quote]here's the big Doll's House

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 548April 13, 2023 4:22 AM

R546 I can't see!

by Anonymousreply 549April 13, 2023 4:29 AM

When art imitates life....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 550April 13, 2023 4:42 AM

I'm in NY with a colleague for a work trip. She's dying to see Funny Girl. She's leaving my team in a few months, so I'm going to surprise her with tickets to the show, but any tips on how dynamic pricing tends to change throughout the week? Obviously, if most seats get gobbled up, dynamic prices are likely to rise. I understand that, but if a large number of tickets remain unsold up to the day of the show, are you likely to see those prices starting to decline? I want to treat my colleague, but if I can spend a little less, that would be nice. But, not living in NY, I don't have experience watching how pricing shifts over the course of a week.

by Anonymousreply 551April 13, 2023 6:10 AM

[quote]four cocktails after the show still doesn't stop the shakes.

Your alcoholism CAN be treated.

by Anonymousreply 552April 13, 2023 7:37 AM

I think it's really fucking sad that whatever fun there might have been in seeing a revival of Funny Girl has been undercut by mega-jerk Lea Michelle occupying the starring role, with smuggy Ramin as her leading man, in an ineptly designed production.

...shouldn't it be more fun?

I hope the next time it gets revived (if that day ever comes) it's a much better production overall. But with the material being outdated as hell...I guess this is it?

At least Benko got something out of it.

by Anonymousreply 553April 13, 2023 8:58 AM

[quote] a sign of how capacious and original the writing is, growing the skin of its own necessity instead of merely burrowing into Shakespeare’s.

Jesse shut the FUCK up

by Anonymousreply 554April 13, 2023 11:46 AM

oh r546 how much to see a truck race by and pancake her?

by Anonymousreply 555April 13, 2023 11:48 AM

Is there usually a claque of fans waiting to see Chastain walk out of the theater? Can they be heard by the audience?

by Anonymousreply 556April 13, 2023 12:39 PM

what a stupid coop duh theater.

by Anonymousreply 557April 13, 2023 1:10 PM

R544, I’m fairly certain the audience shouts outs at PPGW are prerecorded. They are planned cues made to sound like an unruly audience.

by Anonymousreply 558April 13, 2023 1:47 PM

Shall we refer to the new thread as "The Phantom Thread?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 559April 13, 2023 1:50 PM

I don't get the big deal about the end of MFL. Maybe earlier audiences were just more sophisticated? Earlier, she threw his slippers at him. Now all he does is ASK her where the devil his slippers are. Big deal. No husband or future husband ever did that, right? It's not like he said, "PUT my slippers ON MY FEET and kiss mny ASS, you servile, inferior BITCH!"

by Anonymousreply 560April 13, 2023 2:58 PM

[quote]PUT my slippers ON MY FEET and kiss mny ASS, you servile, inferior BITCH!

Oooh r560. You make me go all soft and gooey inside.

by Anonymousreply 561April 13, 2023 3:42 PM

Jane is such a chorine...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 562April 13, 2023 4:10 PM

God, I can't wait til the shills stop pushing this show.

by Anonymousreply 563April 13, 2023 4:16 PM

Which show?

by Anonymousreply 564April 13, 2023 4:18 PM

The first season of Schmigadoon was such an awful bore, who's going back for more torture?

by Anonymousreply 565April 13, 2023 4:18 PM

Who decided Jordan Danica would wear such heavy eyeliner? He resembles a raccoon.

by Anonymousreply 566April 13, 2023 4:38 PM

[quote] Which show?

Schmigadoon.

by Anonymousreply 567April 13, 2023 4:42 PM

What's the word on GRAY HOUSE? A new play with Laurie Metcalf, directed by Joe Mantello, it starts previews in days, and I was surprised to just be hearing of it now.

by Anonymousreply 568April 13, 2023 4:42 PM

[quote]Who decided Jordan Danica would wear such heavy eyeliner? He resembles a raccoon.

I don't know, but it's really ridiculous. Some incredibly strange decisions made in regard to this production.

by Anonymousreply 569April 13, 2023 4:46 PM

The ending of the Trevor Nunn MFL was perfect. Higgins asked for his slippers, Eliza folded her arms as if to say 'get them yourself,' then Higgins folded his arms and they both laughed at the absurdity. Curtain.

by Anonymousreply 570April 13, 2023 4:52 PM

[quote]Eliza folded her arms as if to say 'get them yourself,' then Higgins folded his arms and they both laughed at the absurdity.

Hopefully Eliza didn't have a *Janice* laugh.

by Anonymousreply 571April 13, 2023 4:55 PM

[quote]The ending of the Trevor Nunn MFL was perfect. Higgins asked for his slippers, Eliza folded her arms as if to say 'get them yourself,' then Higgins folded his arms and they both laughed at the absurdity. Curtain.

Agreed. There were other aspects of the production that I didn't love, but that staging was the perfect, simple solution to the notorious "problem" ending.

by Anonymousreply 572April 13, 2023 4:56 PM

Wicked officially became the 4th longest running show in Broadway history this week.

No wonder ALW is such a grumpy cat.

by Anonymousreply 573April 13, 2023 5:07 PM

I'd like to see Eliza come in with Pickering in the last scene and start French kissing him when HIggins asks "Where the devil are my slippers"!

by Anonymousreply 574April 13, 2023 5:08 PM

Bring a new sense of meaning to "I washed my face and 'ands before I cum, I did".

by Anonymousreply 575April 13, 2023 5:09 PM

Every time you kissed me I wiped my mouth...

by Anonymousreply 576April 13, 2023 5:22 PM

If they really wanted to mess with the audience, have the actress playing Eliza lip sync to Eddie Murphy's laugh.

by Anonymousreply 577April 13, 2023 5:22 PM

I always thought the perfect solution was to have Eliza enter while Higgins is singing. Then , she knows she won.

by Anonymousreply 578April 13, 2023 5:51 PM

FIRST MIDNIGHT!

(I thought this freakin' thread would never end...)

by Anonymousreply 579April 13, 2023 6:05 PM

look again, dear. It's 579, not 599.

by Anonymousreply 580April 13, 2023 6:17 PM

Love, love, love Ellen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 581April 13, 2023 6:20 PM

am I alone in not having drunk the Sher KoolAid on South Pacific or My Fair Lady either?

by Anonymousreply 582April 13, 2023 7:47 PM

I like to imagine what the gentleman who refer to others as "dear" look like. I imagine portly with ironed denims and sweaters.

by Anonymousreply 583April 13, 2023 7:53 PM

I'm thinking pleated Dockers. And tasseled loafers.

But portly in a sweater, definitely.

[shudder]

by Anonymousreply 584April 13, 2023 7:57 PM

Some older lady once started an argument with me about me getting first on some line for tickets. I told her "you weren't here first, dear", to which she said "don't call me dear"; I said "that word was just a placeholder for what I really wanted to call you!"

by Anonymousreply 585April 13, 2023 8:38 PM

His South Pacific was terrific.

by Anonymousreply 586April 13, 2023 8:39 PM

R585, yes, exactly. I want the people I call "dear" to read every other word they possibly can into it.

by Anonymousreply 587April 13, 2023 9:36 PM

But not here, dear/Is that clear, dear?

by Anonymousreply 588April 13, 2023 11:52 PM

Oh, what I’d give for a hundred years, but the physical interferes, every day more

by Anonymousreply 589April 14, 2023 12:03 AM

Deadline reviews "Camelot":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 590April 14, 2023 2:00 AM

NYT:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 591April 14, 2023 2:04 AM

Times pans CAMELOT.

In a tasteful, respectful way that doesn't really rip Sorkin or Sher a new one. Bingo.

Still a pan.

by Anonymousreply 592April 14, 2023 2:11 AM

Best revival noms: SWEENEY and PARADE. What else?

Best new musical: KIMBERLY AKIMBO and.... SLIH? and....? NEW YORK NEW YORK?

by Anonymousreply 593April 14, 2023 2:16 AM

So odd. Several of the reviews, good and bad, cite the show as being lavish and sparing no expense. Then Jessie criticizes it for being so spare and lacking scenery.

by Anonymousreply 594April 14, 2023 2:17 AM

Oh yes, INTO THE WOODS for Best Revival.

And adding SHUCKED to Best New Musical.

by Anonymousreply 595April 14, 2023 2:19 AM

Critics are so weird and increasingly unreliable about stage and production design.

There's nothing "lavish" about this CAMELOT revival. Guinevere has a couple of pretty dresses, and that's about it.

I thought the producton design overall was cheap and unimaginative. (And NO ONE likes the logo design.)

by Anonymousreply 596April 14, 2023 2:22 AM

R596 I like the logo design.

by Anonymousreply 597April 14, 2023 2:40 AM

[quote]In its way, Camelot, at least as we’ve come to know it until now, is, in its stodgy and fitful way, a musical as emblematic of the 1960s as the more obvious generation-defining theatrical statements of the era.

Holy fuck, don't these reviews go through ANY sort of editing or proofreading process? Clearly not..

by Anonymousreply 598April 14, 2023 3:00 AM

Please make your way to the not-so-Phantom thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 599April 14, 2023 3:17 AM

Bajour!

by Anonymousreply 600April 14, 2023 3:17 AM

Best revival nominees will be: Into the Woods, Sweeney Todd, Parade, Dancin' and Camelot. 1776 is long forgotten. Best new musical nominees will be: Some Like it Hot, Kimberly Akimbo, Me & Juliet, New York, New York and either 1) K Pop or 2) Shucked

by Anonymousreply 601April 14, 2023 3:19 AM

What is that weird thing she does with her mouth on the word "girl" in the video at R581?

by Anonymousreply 602April 14, 2023 4:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!