Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

THEATRE GOSSIP #517: The "Anyone can whistle, so why can't the Sweeney revival?" Edition

Continue.

by Anonymousreply 601March 12, 2023 4:39 PM

Previous thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 6, 2023 1:10 AM

TITANIC sails again, in the UK.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 6, 2023 5:17 AM

Random question, but some Fela Kuti started playing on a Spotify station I was listening to on my drive home this evening and got me thinking about FELA! (the Broadway musical.)

Was it well received in NY? I saw the subsequent tour in LA starring the original Broadway lead Sahr Ngaujah and I absolutely loved it. Incredibly charismatic lead performance, an onstage band that played the hell out Fela Kuti's glorious Afrobeat music, a wonderful ensemble of dancer/singer/actors and great staging by Bill T. Jones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 6, 2023 5:51 AM

Just what the world needs…another Titanic revival!

by Anonymousreply 4March 6, 2023 10:44 AM

Title credit to r325 in the previous thread, at the suggestion of r343.

by Anonymousreply 5March 6, 2023 11:57 AM

To answer r577 in the previous thread, I always thought Bajour was pronounced to rhyme with Bonjour, and maybe it is, but in the title song they chant it so it rhymes with Badger, which threw me.

by Anonymousreply 6March 6, 2023 12:00 PM

But when they sing "Everybody's waiting for the big bajour," it's like "bonjour" but doesn't rhyme.

by Anonymousreply 7March 6, 2023 12:09 PM

That quote attributed to Seldes by the person running the Follies of God site is fiction.

by Anonymousreply 8March 6, 2023 12:21 PM

A stolen title. OP, are you from Buffalo?

by Anonymousreply 9March 6, 2023 12:22 PM

I made stolen titles legitimate.

by Anonymousreply 10March 6, 2023 12:46 PM

There is apparently a lot of speculation out there that all those quotes from FOLLIES OF GOD were made up by the author as he was never able to fully prove he actually had interviews with many of the quoted actors, directors and writers, including Tennessee Williams (who's quoted most often).

A friend and I saw that 1970s Delacorte TAMING OF THE SHREW and left at Intermission. We were not impressed, snarky Yale Drama School grads that we were.

That Paper Mill FOLLIES has gained a lot of affection in the years since but it was really not all that great. Sondheom was wise to keep it from Broadway. Donna McKechnie was a surprisingly effective Sally and Lawrence Guittard was a dashing Ben, and whoever played Young Ben had some hot shirtless bed scenes with Young Sally, but that was about it. Everything else was a bit shaky, if pretty to look at (but no competition with the Aronson and Klotz original designs). After all that I'll say it was still miles better than the Roundabout and Bernadette Peters revivals.

Norman Snow and his beautiful wife Mary Joan Negro were considered the biggest stars of the original Acting Company but their careers never took off like classmates Kevin Kline and Patti Lupone's did. For one thing, they couldn't do musical comedy like Kevin and Patti. Sadly, I believe Snow just died last year, in his early 70s.

by Anonymousreply 11March 6, 2023 1:11 PM

Patti got off easy! You should see what John Houseman was like when really ticked off …

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 6, 2023 1:29 PM

A bit of a swish in his step…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 6, 2023 1:30 PM

Rocky start to this thread already?

by Anonymousreply 14March 6, 2023 2:34 PM

This thread needs Karen Ziemba! Only she can save the day!

by Anonymousreply 15March 6, 2023 2:37 PM

Only Karen and her lopsided tatas can put a smile on everyone's face and a song in their heart!

by Anonymousreply 16March 6, 2023 2:38 PM

[quote]The Paper Mill FOLLIES had some joys, but you could see why Steve wouldn't want it to come to Broadway.

So, please enlighten us as to why you think "Steve" didn't want it to come to Broadway? Or did he confide in you about this, seeing how you were obviously such close friends?

by Anonymousreply 17March 6, 2023 2:44 PM

Has anyone seen Dancin'? Did they keep the ballet barre cunnilingus number?

by Anonymousreply 18March 6, 2023 2:46 PM

Cybil Shepard messed up not one but two of those titles.

by Anonymousreply 19March 6, 2023 2:58 PM

Was cause of death made public?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20March 6, 2023 3:03 PM

^ Houseman deserved the award, by merit and reputation…in the old days, those “bravos” cheers were the real deal (see Greg Peck’s win for a similar reaction).

That said, what a great set of nominees; top-notch performances all around.

by Anonymousreply 21March 6, 2023 3:04 PM

Back to the last thread, comparing the 2 versions of "And the World Goes Round" shows the difference between technical competency and star power. Liza gets a lot of crap on here, but she has that power. Especially live, even in junk like The Act, she was just perfection.

by Anonymousreply 22March 6, 2023 3:11 PM

r9, ? Hardly stolen. I acknowledged the poster who came up with it and the poster who suggested it for a title when I posted the link in the last thread. Immediately afterward the site went back into prime time so I was locked out and didn't get a chance to post it here. As soon as it was open again this morning, I posted it here.

by Anonymousreply 23March 6, 2023 3:13 PM

The links for those who missed them:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 6, 2023 3:15 PM

Liza

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 6, 2023 3:16 PM

Ramin wants you to stop ogling his body.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 6, 2023 3:17 PM

r26 I call BS...no way does Valjean need to be a body builder. He's a starving convict on the run. And there was no shirtless scene for Sydney Chaplin in the original Funny Girl.

by Anonymousreply 27March 6, 2023 3:21 PM

“Pulling back from social media”. Jesus H. Christ—the 💩 way people write and talk these days…

by Anonymousreply 28March 6, 2023 3:21 PM

r27, too bad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29March 6, 2023 3:26 PM

There's no whistle in the new 'Todd' because they don't want any kids in the audience to cry.

by Anonymousreply 30March 6, 2023 3:30 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31March 6, 2023 3:55 PM

Broadway World on the whistle:

It may be a police whistle in the new one but the old production WAS a factory whistle. I have the score right infront of me and it says at the end of the Prolouge:

"The deafening shrill sound of a factory whistle blasts forth as the workmen pull down the drop. Blackout."

It also says before Pirelli's Miracle Elixer:

"The factory whistle blasts. Lights come up to reveal St. Dunstan's market place."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32March 6, 2023 3:55 PM

This obsession with a whistle is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 33March 6, 2023 3:59 PM

Whistle my ass - I've got one right here in my bag.

by Anonymousreply 34March 6, 2023 4:06 PM

I’m confused by Ramin….so does that mean no more shirtless content?

by Anonymousreply 35March 6, 2023 4:50 PM

I’m also confused about the part of the article that talked about conspiracy theories about his off work relationships. I’ve never heard any rumors other than possibly Sierra Boggess which was not even a really well founded rumor….have their been any legit talk about him having affairs with other women?

by Anonymousreply 36March 6, 2023 4:53 PM

Are you involved in any legitimate affairs?

by Anonymousreply 37March 6, 2023 5:03 PM

Ramin Noodles is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 38March 6, 2023 5:08 PM

Ramin takes his shirt off in public all the time. He’s ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 39March 6, 2023 5:10 PM

[quote] Norman Snow and his beautiful wife Mary Joan Negro were considered the biggest stars of the original Acting Company but their careers never took off.

She could make a comeback now.

by Anonymousreply 40March 6, 2023 5:25 PM

Playbill.com has had a such an uptick in silly articles lately, or, I should say, articles with silly headlines that make me roll my eyes.

by Anonymousreply 41March 6, 2023 5:54 PM

So when will we get an announcement about a stage musical of Everything Everywhere All at Once? It will probably be done in London first.

by Anonymousreply 42March 6, 2023 6:04 PM

[quote]In his current role as Nick Arnstein in Funny Girl (now set to close September 3), the opening of Act II finds Karimloo shirtless underneath a dressing gown, which he admits was a bit of fan service. When the role is played by any of his covers, they have a tank top for the scene. As Karimloo explains it: “It’s a fleeting bit of fun, you know? He hears noise, he quickly throws on a robe. Of course, in reality, he’d be wearing one of those old-school tank tops to sleep. But we had a discussion, and I don’t wear one.” Karimloo ducks his head, looking the picture of a bashful schoolboy. He explains that the topic had come up in the rehearsal room: “There was a discussion. So long as it doesn’t get in the way of the story, I’m trying to get comfortable with what people want from me.”

So, in a nutshell, he's an insufferable hypocrite.

by Anonymousreply 43March 6, 2023 6:12 PM

So apparently "Dear World" may need to postpone? Covid...

by Anonymousreply 44March 6, 2023 6:13 PM

NYTW has indefinitely postponed its Sam Gold [italic] Three Sisters [/italic] I wonder what debacle Sam will foist upon is next

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45March 6, 2023 6:42 PM

Please take your medicine, Dear World.

by Anonymousreply 46March 6, 2023 6:45 PM

r44 that would suck. Source?

by Anonymousreply 47March 6, 2023 6:48 PM

[quote]So when will we get an announcement about a stage musical of Everything Everywhere All at Once? It will probably be done in London first.

Very soon after Billy Porter opens in the "re-imagined for modern audiences" musical version of " Tar."

by Anonymousreply 48March 6, 2023 6:59 PM

Ramin's standby is hot bearish Jeremiah James and he's far sexier.

by Anonymousreply 49March 6, 2023 7:00 PM

Another hot cover for Ramin is FUNNY GIRL is the very hot Stephen Mark Lukas

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50March 6, 2023 7:03 PM

Source is a cast member.

by Anonymousreply 51March 6, 2023 7:04 PM

And a banjo in her hands!

by Anonymousreply 52March 6, 2023 7:05 PM

Sorry, that R52 was meant as a response to the person who suggested that Karen Ziemba could liven up this thread with her frisky but cockeyed titties.

by Anonymousreply 53March 6, 2023 7:10 PM

[quote]Cybil Shepard messed up not one but two of those titles.

And you managed to mess up both her first and last names!

by Anonymousreply 54March 6, 2023 7:31 PM

Stephen Mark Lukas should learn not to take selfies when he's having a herpes breakout.

by Anonymousreply 55March 6, 2023 8:54 PM

[quote] Our "Hercules must be white!" poster will be disappointed that the New York Times didn't step up to the plate and excoriate the production for casting a black actor in the title role, thus helping to end all of this nontraditional casting nonsense.

The guy playing Hercules was among the best things about the production. GREAT voice

by Anonymousreply 56March 6, 2023 9:02 PM

Does anyone know what kind of rep Ramin has among his cast and crew colleagues at Funny Girl and at other shows and generally in the biz? Not about his talent but as a person? Honestly, he sounds like such an insufferable idiot in that article.

by Anonymousreply 57March 6, 2023 9:11 PM

I had a friend who worked with him in Les Mis and had nothing but nice things to say about him. Also, when all the shit was going down with Beanie's shit attitude in Funny Girl, he and Jane Lynch were the ones who took charge of the company to keep their spirits up and make sure they were a company.

by Anonymousreply 58March 6, 2023 9:14 PM

I'm hoping that the postponement of that Sam Gold 3 Sisters is actually because Sidney Brustein is moving to Broadway and making Oscar unavailable. Though I know reviews have been mixed I'm still very curious about the show and would like another chance at seeing it, hopefully at reduced prices (it's currently about $400'/ticket at BAM.

Also, wondering if Oscar's peeps are telling him not to do 3 Sisters as he's riding high from all his rave reviews as Sidney.

by Anonymousreply 59March 6, 2023 9:15 PM

Saw BAD CINDERELLA. What a mess. Probably the worst show I’ve seen in the last decade, with a pointlessly convoluted plot, a weak message, a bad love story at its center, completely forgettable songs.

by Anonymousreply 60March 6, 2023 9:38 PM

Saw Dancin’.

“Sing, Sing, Sing” opens the second act. It was originally the thrilling (and rightly so) finale of the original production. Now the show ends with a bunch of numbers from Big Deal, which featured… director Wayne Cilento.

And after “Fosse,” and the movie of “Charity” and “Liza with a Z” readily available on DVD, do we need to see underwhelming fragments of “Big Spender,” “Rich Man’s Frug,” and “I Gotcha” again?

The show looked like its own B-Roll. Oh, and monologues added of quotes by Fosse.

by Anonymousreply 61March 6, 2023 9:44 PM

Is Dancin' selling any tickets? How big is the Fosse nostalgia audience?

by Anonymousreply 62March 6, 2023 9:59 PM

Sounds more like a revival of Fosse than a revival of Dancin'. My friend saw Bad Cinderella yesterday and said it was one of the worst pieces of crap she has ever seen. She was just happy she didn't pay for the ticket.

by Anonymousreply 63March 6, 2023 10:45 PM

[r63] was your friend DL fave Carolee Carmelo on her day off?

by Anonymousreply 64March 6, 2023 11:01 PM

Is Andrew Lloyd Webber actively involved with Bad Cinderella? Is he at previews hearing audience reactions? Is Emerald Fennell still involved with the show or was new writer brought in to make the show even worse?

by Anonymousreply 65March 6, 2023 11:49 PM

[quote] The show looked like its own B-Roll.

New play idea: I AM MY OWN B-ROLL

Anyway, the 3 SISTERS "indefinite postponement" at NYTW has nothing to do with Oscar Isaac/Sidney Brustein - Oscar was never on board for these new dates. It was GG who bailed.

by Anonymousreply 66March 7, 2023 12:00 AM

r66, I don't get your post when you say that Oscar was NEVER on board with the 3 Sisters dates yet Greta Gerwig should be blamed for the production not happening? Not that I'm a GG fan. I couldn't bear to watch her play Chekhov....

by Anonymousreply 67March 7, 2023 12:11 AM

[quote] I don't get your post when you say that Oscar was NEVER on board with the 3 Sisters dates yet Greta Gerwig should be blamed for the production not happening?

When 3 SISTERS was "re-announced" for this season, the only names attached were GG and Sam Gold.

by Anonymousreply 68March 7, 2023 12:18 AM

Was Three Sisters supposed to be this summer? Because that would have been during Gerwig's Barbie movie blitz, so no wonder she bailed.

by Anonymousreply 69March 7, 2023 12:24 AM

Annaleigh Ashford is giving a well oiled turn as Lovett, has the laughs and heart, if not the total vocal package at the moment. Groban is a slight touch as feared, a very bland Todd. That’s the overall energy with this revival. It is colorless, tiptoeing into every horror and desperate to be clean and precise. The leading man is unfortunately guiding the production with a safe from a distance performance that has very little fire and fury. I don’t care if my Sweeney sings sweetly, I want him to terrorize me with his vengeance. The ensemble is solid, the costumes atrociously amateur and the orchestra divine, if tepid in the big moments. This is a Sweeney Todd without a killer instinct and that’s a crying shame.

by Anonymousreply 70March 7, 2023 12:40 AM

I was at one of the "Follies" at Lincoln Center concerts, and it was "The Right Girl" and not "Buddy's Blues" (unless he screwed that up at the other performance) that Mandy Patinkin screwed up his first musical entrance to, and stopped the NY Philharmonic, saying something like "Can we start again?" I could see some members of the orchestra shaking their head. His "Buddy's Blues" was annoying with him screaming the women's roles.

by Anonymousreply 71March 7, 2023 12:44 AM

"shaking their heads", that is

by Anonymousreply 72March 7, 2023 12:45 AM

There's something that smells fishy about "Three Sisters". I don't believe the Greta Gerwig story. Surely any competent actress could replace her. (Although it is NYTW, so competence doesn't seem to matter there).

by Anonymousreply 73March 7, 2023 12:46 AM

Did no one think to contact Zachary Stains, who was infamous for a while for his nude Hercules in the opera "Ercole"? Don't know if he sings much anymore, but the opera was videotaped. Very cute guy, though this was probably over 10 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 74March 7, 2023 12:47 AM

R70 - But what about the whistle?!

by Anonymousreply 75March 7, 2023 1:10 AM

When I read this thread's title, I feel neglected.

by Anonymousreply 76March 7, 2023 1:15 AM

Groban’s understudy is Black and, of course, a Hamilton and In the Heights alum

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77March 7, 2023 1:17 AM

"Whistling In The Dark".......wokeness built in.

by Anonymousreply 78March 7, 2023 1:19 AM

It's...a look.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79March 7, 2023 1:21 AM

“ He’d been asked to understudy several of the key roles in the debut production, but he declined. “I was like, I can’t, for my soul. I want to be onstage. I don’t want to be off-stage hoping to go on,”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80March 7, 2023 1:21 AM

I remember reading that about Follies that everyone was convinced that Lee Remick would be the fuck-up but she did a great job and Mandy was the disaster.

by Anonymousreply 81March 7, 2023 1:47 AM

I'm surprised to hear that there was any trepidation about Lee Remick. Based on her lovely vocals for Anyone Can Whistle, I would think Phyllis' songs in Follies wouldn't have been particularly difficult, especially without the dancing. Or was she already ill at the time and it was about her health?

by Anonymousreply 82March 7, 2023 1:55 AM

[quote] I remember reading that about Follies that everyone was convinced that Lee Remick would be the fuck-up

Which was strange because Sondheim probably went to great lengths to ensure Lee Remick was prepared. I imagine he helped her in every way he could. He was infatuated with her. I’m sure if he wasn’t confident she could do it, he would have put in a quiet word to cast someone else.

by Anonymousreply 83March 7, 2023 1:55 AM

I assume she had some trouble finally nailing Lucy and Jessie.

by Anonymousreply 84March 7, 2023 1:59 AM

Lee Remick (whom I admire a lot as an actress) had at best an incidental relationship with pitch. She made Alexis Smith sound like Dolores Gray in that music.

There's a reason that "There Won't Be Trumpets" was cut from the original ANYONE CAN WHISTLE and only released on the cast album in the CD era.

by Anonymousreply 85March 7, 2023 2:25 AM

I think Lee Remick's singing of "There Won't Be Trumpets" is just fine, and I don't hear any pitch problems at all. FOLLIES IN CONCERT was 20 years later and she had not kept up with her singing, which is probably why she sounds a bit tentative in some places, especially on the high notes.

by Anonymousreply 86March 7, 2023 2:30 AM

Love Lee, *but*...her vocal talents were on the smaller side. Unfortunately her Desiree, where it would have been fine, was not to be. I wish they'd cast a stronger singer in I Do! I Do! and how she got Lola is beyond me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87March 7, 2023 2:41 AM

Two perfect Desiree's that, sadly, were never to be: Lee Remick and Natasha Richardson although the latter at least played her in concert.

by Anonymousreply 88March 7, 2023 2:54 AM

R85, I think Lee originally thought there would be more BOOK in the concert, so she could act. And remember, Herbert Ross choreographed “Anyone Can Whistle,” and I’m sure she thought she would have a big dance number (and Lee could move) during “The Saga of L & J.”

I think Sondheim let himself get blinded by his crush from twenty years earlier. He told me Lee was always his first choice. Who else could’ve (or would’ve) done it in 1985?

Julie Andrews? Shirley MacLaine? No way. Juliet Prowse? Sure. Gretchen Wyler and Connie Towers were not A List. Debbie Reynolds is a Sally who who moves like a Phyllis, so she wrong. She was a Carlotta if anything, but Steve heard her call Burt Shevelove a “faggot” when he was rewriting the book for Irene, and he never forgave her. For better or for worse, Lee was perfect casting for a concert and had the pedigree.

by Anonymousreply 89March 7, 2023 3:00 AM

Phyllis Diller was the first choice to play Phyllis. But when she heard Burnett was playing the sexpot role, she said, “If they’re not going to take this seriously, then I’m outta here.”

by Anonymousreply 90March 7, 2023 3:05 AM

r18 - I saw Dancin' at the Old Globe. I found it so disappointing. I'm too young to have seen the original. Really, all I knew of it was Sing Sing Sing and those fabulous TV commercials on YouTube. I hope they largely recast for NY. The performers in San Diego were too green and VERY few of them had any style or character as dancers. I couldn't imagine Fosse actually casting any of them. I can't imagine that show being remotely interesting without great dancers. With merely competent ones it's like dinner theatre and cruise ship entertainment with a slightly bigger budget.

Personally, I think you see better Fosse dancing at those Fosse Verdon Legacy dance classes that get posted online.

by Anonymousreply 91March 7, 2023 3:33 AM

I don't know a thing about Mary-Joan Negro's life offstage/-screen, but I do know that she's breathtaking in both of her LAW & ORDER appearances -- "In Memory Of" and "White Rabbit," the latter of which true believers consider 1 of the best-ever episodes of the series.

On the other hand, I'm still recovering from the shock of seeing her in a SIX FEET UNDER cold open in which another character drops dead during a performance of THE SEAGULL -- M-JN plays Polina, with no lines as I recall. Even in this context she can't get a break (Polina? Why not Arkadina?).

by Anonymousreply 92March 7, 2023 3:39 AM

David Schramm was also in that original Juilliard class.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93March 7, 2023 3:46 AM

Young Patti

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94March 7, 2023 3:49 AM

Wait. ATC's "Ann" is 90???

by Anonymousreply 95March 7, 2023 3:50 AM

Wow, THAT's David Schramm? He looks like David Selby.

by Anonymousreply 96March 7, 2023 3:51 AM

She's not that old, but her post sort of seemed to say she was midway between 80 and 100. I'd say she was closer to mid 60.

by Anonymousreply 97March 7, 2023 3:51 AM

Whatever happened to MikeR? Is he still knocking boots with every stagedoor Jonny in his dressing room?

What about SummerTheater? He definitely died of Covid, right?

by Anonymousreply 98March 7, 2023 4:05 AM

Who were Michael Bennett’s male lovers?

by Anonymousreply 99March 7, 2023 4:12 AM

Episode 74 of Broadway National, which is the 3rd of a 4-part interview with Paul Gemignani’s biographer, Margaret Hall, is ALL about the whistle. Published last August.

Worth a listen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100March 7, 2023 4:20 AM

*Broadway Nation

Fucking autocorrect

by Anonymousreply 101March 7, 2023 4:21 AM

Anna Uzele could not be more ordinary. Jesus!

by Anonymousreply 102March 7, 2023 4:37 AM

Gemignani was a drummer. Couldn’t find middle “C”on a piano if his life depended on it! Conducted by counts for fifty years. Total fraud.

Creeper asshole, who’d try to fuck any woman out of town.

Truly, a sub drummer on the original “Follies” who charmed his way into a career.

Hal couldn’t sing a note either, (nor Mike Ockrent,) and Steve liked to be the smartest guy in the room, always.

King of the Lucky Club. Even though Paul Ford’s autobiography is full of venom, he’s right about one thing Gemignanii is/was a hack. Dementia now.

by Anonymousreply 103March 7, 2023 4:47 AM

R61 , Sing Sing Sing was most certainly NOT the finale of the original Dancin' . Not even close! It opened the third act, and was followed by Here You Come Again, Yankee Doodle Dandy, When Johnny Comes Marching Home, (I'm Glad I'm Not In) Dixie, and others.

by Anonymousreply 104March 7, 2023 6:10 AM

Damn R103...tell us how you really feel!

Gemignani was indeed a drummer but he was very respected by his peers. Not sure where the piss and vinegar are coming from?

by Anonymousreply 105March 7, 2023 6:34 AM

I saw SIDNEY BRUSTEIN and I doubt it would transfer. Everyone knows that the play is a rough draft that Hansberry was too sick to improve; sad, because there is so much joy and grand language and passion there. The acting in this production is marvelous, top to bottom. But the audience for this play -- well, they all saw it at BAM, and that's the audience it would have, Oscar and Rachel's brilliance notwithstanding.

by Anonymousreply 106March 7, 2023 8:05 AM

re Sidney Brustein: That stupid blonde bitch in Act 2 was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 107March 7, 2023 10:06 AM

I’m sorry but why would Sondheim ban Debbie Reynolds from his work for hearing that Debbie Reynolds called someone a fag, when HE HIMSELF put the same word in one of his big songs from his own show that he wrote with You Could Drive a Person Crazy? He wrote that song 2 years before Irene rehearsals.

by Anonymousreply 108March 7, 2023 10:33 AM

Seth Rudetsky’s new book Broadway for Dummies just got released. I love his theatre books—he’s a fun writer.

Anyone read this one yet?

by Anonymousreply 109March 7, 2023 11:03 AM

That doesn't mean he approves of it. Do you understand the concept of writing for a character?

by Anonymousreply 110March 7, 2023 11:03 AM

" Approved." He's dead.

by Anonymousreply 111March 7, 2023 12:20 PM

ATC's Ann is in her early-mid 70s. That was pretty clear from her post about the MERRILY film, as she inferred she was about 10 years younger than Richard Linklater. So she would be in her early-mid 90s, if alive, when the film is released.

by Anonymousreply 112March 7, 2023 12:37 PM

[quote] I’m sorry but why would Sondheim ban Debbie Reynolds from his work for hearing that Debbie Reynolds called someone a fag, when HE HIMSELF put the same word in one of his big songs from his own show that he wrote with You Could Drive a Person Crazy? He wrote that song 2 years before Irene rehearsals.

There's a difference between writing for three fictional characters wondering about the possible reasons for a man's emotional unavailability versus using it in real life as a slur against a writer brought in to save your failing show.

by Anonymousreply 113March 7, 2023 12:40 PM

Where did this story of Debbie's slur against Shevelove and Sondheim's reaction to it become documented? Who heard Steve's reaction to Debbie's comment or did Steve write about this incident himself? I'm not doubting his reaction or that Debbie said it, just curious about how it's been passed down.

by Anonymousreply 114March 7, 2023 12:54 PM

He wrote about murdering people and then serving them in meat pies, so why should he care if someone wants to actually do that!?

by Anonymousreply 115March 7, 2023 1:14 PM

Debbie Reynolds was at a party at Sondheim’s house. She made the “fag” statement and then was going to make a grand exit. She flounced to the door, opened what she thought was the coat closet to retrieve her mink, and saw a young man hanging by a leather strap. She was mighty pissed off that Sondheim spoiled her theatrical exit. She was further pissed off that the young man was a chorus boy in her show. She chewed bitter grapes that night, I can tell you.

by Anonymousreply 116March 7, 2023 1:17 PM

I love the Sondheim apologists saying he was writing for a character which is why he wrote FAG in Company….never mind that audiences for 20 years got to sit and listen to that word be sung at them…but that Debbie Reynolds of ALL people was unredeemable.

Barbra Streisand is on tape saying she felt like a faggot in this video…yet he worked with her forever

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117March 7, 2023 1:22 PM

[quote] I love the Sondheim apologists saying he was writing for a character which is why he wrote FAG in Company

Starting in the 1980s, productions changed the word to “drag”.

It ruins the song for savvy audiences because they sit there wondering “are we going to hear the less offensive ‘drag’ or is this bold director going with ‘fag’?”

by Anonymousreply 118March 7, 2023 1:36 PM

Why aren't there any good character ensemble members anymore. Richard Korthaze, John Mineo, Michael Kubala, Jill Cook, Bruce Anthony Davis just to name a few. Everyone these days is so dull and uninteresting.

by Anonymousreply 119March 7, 2023 1:37 PM

R119, you're pretty good at making sweeping generalizations, but sweeping generalizations are annoying and foolish.

by Anonymousreply 120March 7, 2023 2:05 PM

Wait, I'm sorry but Stephen Schwarzman's wife is producing "Fat Ham" on Broadway?? The cognitive dissonance must be off the charts—producing shows like this on Broadway while being married to rightwingers like Stephen Schwarzman or Steven Roth.

by Anonymousreply 121March 7, 2023 2:21 PM

Are there any working playwrights on this thread? Just wondering.

Who actually makes a living writing for the theatre? Besides Lin-Manuel, that is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122March 7, 2023 2:33 PM

A Roy Orbison jukebox musical!

We could do worse, I guess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123March 7, 2023 2:34 PM

The Harder They Come might be the last nail in the jukebox musical coffin.

by Anonymousreply 124March 7, 2023 2:40 PM

I hate Follies. I piss on it.

by Anonymousreply 125March 7, 2023 2:46 PM

It's always spoken very highly of you, r125.

by Anonymousreply 126March 7, 2023 3:13 PM

[quote]The Harder They Come might be the last nail in the jukebox musical coffin.

I wish that were true, but the success of the Neil Diamond and Michael Jackson jukebox musicals says otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 127March 7, 2023 3:27 PM

Pitch problems? PITCH PROBLEMS?

Fuck it, honey, nobody even notices.

by Anonymousreply 128March 7, 2023 3:30 PM

The Neil Diamond musical, based on today's box office numbers, is going down the toilet with Pictures From Home and Some Like It Hot.

by Anonymousreply 129March 7, 2023 3:38 PM

[quote]I call BS...no way does Valjean need to be a body builder. He's a starving convict on the run.

He wouldn't be Schwarzenegger, but he was sentenced to hard labor so he would be lean but definitely muscled.

by Anonymousreply 130March 7, 2023 4:04 PM

J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot Teams With Broadway’s Ambassador Theatre Group For Stage Projects:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131March 7, 2023 4:06 PM

Oh great. More superhero musicals.

by Anonymousreply 132March 7, 2023 4:11 PM

R132, speaking of which:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133March 7, 2023 4:15 PM

R114, I worked in a production office when the London revival of Follies was gearing up, and read the casting notes about SS’s opinions of names brought up to play Carlotta (the one role for which they wanted to bring an American over; director Mike Ockrent was unfamiliar with nearly every name they was suggested, so it fell to Sondheim to explain to him who they were.) They were initially excited about the prospect of Chita doing the role (the one performer Ockrent had heard of,) but her brother/manager asked for too much money. Other names that were suggested (followed by Sondheim’s comments) included Debbie Reynolds, and in the notes was SS’s remark about her calling Shevelove a fag; in addition, he was insulted that she rewrote the lyrics to “I’m Still Here” for her Vegas act without his permission (and indeed, they were super cheesy, even including a musical quote from the “Star Wars” theme; Sondheim rewrote them himself for Shirley MacLaine when she played a thinly veiled version of Reynolds in “Postcards From the Edge.”) IIRC, only three women actually came in and auditioned (Vivian Blaine canceled at the last minute, claiming stage fright): Tammy Grimes, Helen Gallagher, and the gal who got the job, Dolores Gray, who was remembered in the U.K. for originating the title role in Annie Get Your Gun in London and replacing Lansbury in the London production of Gypsy (in the notes, SS’s initial reaction to Gray was “Dolores does one thing. SING LOUD.”) But she must have impressed him enough to get the job, although it’s the sloooooooowest version ever performed.

by Anonymousreply 134March 7, 2023 4:53 PM

I would've killed to see Tammy or Helen or Vivian play Carlotta and sing I'm Still Here!

Though Helen would've been more perfect for Broadway Baby.

by Anonymousreply 135March 7, 2023 5:35 PM

No, Helen would have been best in “Who’s That Woman?” with that sly, self-mocking delivery of hers.

by Anonymousreply 136March 7, 2023 5:38 PM

And she could dance it, r136.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137March 7, 2023 5:42 PM

The other thing about that Follies is that Dolores desperately wanted to be in the mirror number and everyone else thought it would be disastrous. But Bob Avian kept gettting calls from her agent/manager? pleading with him to put her into the number.

by Anonymousreply 138March 7, 2023 6:07 PM

That’s too bad about Chita. She would have been an amazing Carlotta.

by Anonymousreply 139March 7, 2023 6:26 PM

The Neil Diamond musical is this season's CHER -- a really bad show can't save itself no matter who the pop icon is.

by Anonymousreply 140March 7, 2023 6:26 PM

Too bad about the demise of the theater thread.

by Anonymousreply 141March 7, 2023 6:40 PM

Instead of moaning about its demise, r141, why don't you contribute some gossip? Or a question about the theatre?

by Anonymousreply 142March 7, 2023 6:42 PM

[quote]o, please enlighten us as to why you think "Steve" didn't want it to come to Broadway?

Because he thought it was the “Disneyland” version of Follies, completely missing thd show but delivering some well done songs. But he was acutely aware of causing people grief with his turn down. How the rumor that Goldman’s wife was the culprit developed is peculiar, since this was all occurring in May- June 1998 (the show closed end of May) and Goldman didn’t die until the end of October 1998.

by Anonymousreply 143March 7, 2023 6:50 PM

‘Sweeney Todd’ Takes $1.5M And Fills Every Available Seat:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144March 7, 2023 7:07 PM

[Quote] Too bad about the demise of the theater thread.—Anonymous

[Quote] Instead of moaning about its demise, [R141], why don't you contribute some gossip? Or a question about the theatre

AS frequent here as Follies minutiae.and should Sally Bowles sing

by Anonymousreply 145March 7, 2023 7:22 PM

[quote]How the rumor that Goldman’s wife was the culprit developed is peculiar, since this was all occurring in May- June 1998 (the show closed end of May) and Goldman didn’t die until the end of October 1998.

Well, maybe the theory was that she was pulling the strings even though he was still (barely) alive. But also, there's no reason to believe the transfer would necessarily have happened immediately. If it was going to happen, it obviously wouldn't have opened in the summer. Fall of '98 would have been the earliest, if not the spring of '99.

Sorry, but that "Disneyland" comment has always struck me as really foolish, especially coming from one of the show's creators. Many people feel that what doomed the original FOLLIES to a shortish run, despite it's greatness, was that there was SO much bitterness and anger and regret in the book. In my opinion, there was certainly enough of that left in the Paper Mill production to make the point, but there was a comparative lightness of touch and less of an emphasis on sturm-und-drang. And maybe that's just what FOLLIES needed to have been a success in revival on Broadway. Of course, the Roundabout production that wound up opening on Broadway instead was vastly inferior to Paper Mill's in almost every detail.

by Anonymousreply 146March 7, 2023 7:37 PM

Nobody cares if Josh Groban is the right choice for this revival. He sells tickets. It will be a hit no matter the reviews.

*See Also*

The Music Man

by Anonymousreply 147March 7, 2023 7:39 PM

R147 Will they replace with some guy who can actually act the part?

by Anonymousreply 148March 7, 2023 7:41 PM

[quote]Who actually makes a living writing for the theatre? Besides Lin-Manuel, that is.

Oh that one's easy. Abso-fucking-lutely nobody. (Miranda is a quite rare exception)

You come from money, or you marry money, or you teach, or you shift to writing for film/TV.

"theatre" and "making money" have always been opposing concepts.

by Anonymousreply 149March 7, 2023 7:49 PM

Not entirely true, R149. If someone writes a play (or musical) that winds up receiving lots of productions in regional theaters, high schools, etc., there can be a considerable amount of money in that, even absent a movie sale and even if the original Broadway or Off-Broadway run (assuming there was one) wasn't a huge moneymaker. I remember that, years ago, Charles Busch was part of a panel discussion about playwriting, and he begged to differ when one of the other panelists said "You can't make any money writing for the theater," because Busch at the time was still flush with the success of THE TALE OF THE ALLERGIST'S WIFE. And going back a bit further, I have heard that Stuart Ross and Dan Goggin respectively made tons of money from FOREVER PLAID and all of the NUNSENSE shows, so there are two more examples for you.

by Anonymousreply 150March 7, 2023 8:07 PM

Look at John Cariani. At its peak of amateur/stock productions, Almost, Maine was bringing him close to $1m a year in revenue.

by Anonymousreply 151March 7, 2023 8:10 PM

An old friends mom was in the London Follies and loved to tell the story of when Dolores had an accident (I think she tripped outside the theatre and injured her leg) her understudy took over BUT Dolores was wheeled on stage every night to sing I'm Still Here. Then she was wheeled off and the understudy went back in. It always sounded too bizarre to be true but, hey, you never know.

by Anonymousreply 152March 7, 2023 8:19 PM

I enjoyed the show at Papermill, but it wasn't really Follies, more like "These Old Broads Put on a Show."

by Anonymousreply 153March 7, 2023 8:41 PM

[quote]Instead of moaning about its demise, [R141], why don't you contribute some gossip? Or a question about the theatre?

Okay, why are DL queens so obsessed with a flop show like " Follies"? Are they envious because they all want to play Sally or Loretta or whoever is in this theatrical disaster? And, if it is so magnificent, why is it not produced more often? Producers afraid of losing their shirt? How's that?

by Anonymousreply 154March 7, 2023 8:53 PM

The story I always heard was that Sondheim called it "Jerry Herman's Follies". Don’t know if that’s true or not, but having seen it, I think it was a fair characterization. The "dark" stuff was played very lightly, very quickly and in a sitcom-y manner. In the end, you remembered the musical comedy fizz and little else.

by Anonymousreply 155March 7, 2023 8:53 PM

American playwrights who write genuinely commercial plays like John Shanley, Donald Margulies, Richard Greenberg, Paula Vogel, David Auburn, Richard Nelson, and a few others I'm blanking on, make a ton of money with the foreign rights to their plays, even plays that were premiered 20, 30 years ago. You'd be shocked by how many productions of Doubt, Dinner With Friends, The Baltimore Waltz and Proof are still being done all the time, around the world, in all languages. And then there's all the college productions....

by Anonymousreply 156March 7, 2023 8:55 PM

Bad Cinderella down 116,000 from previous week, 89% capacity. Doesn’t sound a hit. ALW hasn’t had a hit on Broadway after Phantom. He lost his magic touch 35 years ago. Somewhere Patti is laughing.

by Anonymousreply 157March 7, 2023 8:57 PM

The old audience for juke box musicals is out there but it's aged considerably and I think the Neil Diamond musical will suffer for that. If Jersey Boys opened today I doubt it would do as well as it did 15 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 158March 7, 2023 8:59 PM

The poster for the Papermill production of Follies (also on its CD) certainly did make it seem like a “Disneyland” version.

by Anonymousreply 159March 7, 2023 9:09 PM

That's true of everything at Papermill. It's not known for its deep theatrical experiences.

by Anonymousreply 160March 7, 2023 9:12 PM

Lynn Nottage is the most produced playwright of last year, thanks to Clyde's.

by Anonymousreply 161March 7, 2023 9:14 PM

R158 Jersey Boys was the rare jukebox musical that has a good book.

by Anonymousreply 162March 7, 2023 9:15 PM

If Dolores is around, make sure your antiques are nailed down.

by Anonymousreply 163March 7, 2023 9:20 PM

[quote] Lynn Nottage is the most produced playwright of last year, thanks to Clyde's.

Which is crazy, since it was a flop and a terrible play.

by Anonymousreply 164March 7, 2023 9:25 PM

JERSEY BOYS was definitely the gold standard of the juke boxes. When is that filmed version with Nick Jonas as Frankie going to appear?

by Anonymousreply 165March 7, 2023 9:25 PM

Didn't the fabulous Hilary Knight design the Paper Mill FOLLIES poster?

by Anonymousreply 166March 7, 2023 9:26 PM

Nottage also wrote the libretto for the noxious MJ musical, sidestepping the pedophilia which is bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 167March 7, 2023 9:27 PM

[quote] If Jersey Boys opened today I doubt it would do as well as it did 15 years ago.

There's a current West End revival that has been successful.

by Anonymousreply 168March 7, 2023 9:41 PM

I am the “worst thread ever?“ troll, and I take it all back.

by Anonymousreply 169March 7, 2023 9:42 PM

[quote]The poster for the Papermill production of Follies (also on its CD) certainly did make it seem like a “Disneyland” version.

Hardly, r159. You must be thinking of Knight's CD artwork.

Oh, r154, I love the way you hate it when I'm happy and you're not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170March 7, 2023 9:54 PM

I had always heard the quote as “Jerry Herman’s Follies” as well.

by Anonymousreply 171March 7, 2023 9:56 PM

[quote]Which is crazy, since it was a flop and a terrible play.

To each his own. I liked it a lot and it got some very good reviews. And it was a limited run Second Stage production, so I’m not sure it was a flop.

by Anonymousreply 172March 7, 2023 9:59 PM

I’m Still Here was written specifically for Yvonne de Carlo based on her career. She started out playing vamps and later in her career was playing the mother on the campy tv show The Munsters. Nobody sang it like Yvonne.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173March 7, 2023 10:30 PM

Certainly true, since DeCarlo already had "Can That Boy Foxtrot" in the show, and that wasn't working, and not really due to her. It was apparently considered a one-joke number, and had a very long middle section that went on and on. It's a cute number when you see it or hear it in "Side by Side by Sondheim", but at that point I believe it was cut down considerably. DeCarlo was a big name at that time, due to her recent tv series, and she needed a better number. Sondheim wrote her a glorious number, and when she didn't screw up the lyrics (which has happened to other performers over the years), she really delivered.

by Anonymousreply 174March 7, 2023 10:34 PM

[quote]JERSEY BOYS was definitely the gold standard of the juke boxes. When is that filmed version with Nick Jonas as Frankie going to appear?

It would be an all-black version and The Four Seasons would be rappers.

by Anonymousreply 175March 7, 2023 10:36 PM

It’s too bad DL fave Vivian Vance didn’t perform I’m Still Here. I guess nobody ever suggested to Viv that she could have done a fantastic solo cabaret act. By the time Follies came around, she was doing one-off appearances on tv, but I imagine she still had enough of a singing voice to put over a few numbers and some funny stories.

by Anonymousreply 176March 7, 2023 10:44 PM

Incidentally, what happened with that Temptations jukebox musical that opened one year before Covid and was selling like hot cakes. Was nominated for a shit load of Tonys, too. Then when it reopened, it lasted less than a year.

by Anonymousreply 177March 7, 2023 11:00 PM

r165...seeing as how Clint Eastwood filmed it in 2014, I wouldnt hold my breath for too long.

by Anonymousreply 178March 7, 2023 11:06 PM

Sing! Sing! Sing!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179March 7, 2023 11:07 PM

R155, I strongly disagree that the dark stuff was played "in a sitcom-y manner." It just wasn't hammered home with a sledgehammer. I think FOLLIES seems most problematic when directors and producers insist on stressing and underlining the dark stuff in order to flatter themselves that they are producing SERIOUS THEATER (all caps). For example, in the original script, Sally has a line in which she pretty much comes right out and says that she has attempted suicide in the past, and even implies that she did so more than once. I'm almost certain that line was cut from the Paper Mill FOLLIES, and as far as I'm concerned, that was all for the best.

by Anonymousreply 180March 7, 2023 11:43 PM

Are you guys fighting over the credit for a 25 year old theater poster/ad from suburban NJ.

by Anonymousreply 181March 7, 2023 11:46 PM

SWEENEY will be at $1 million a week by Memorial Day -- which is barely breakeven. It's no Music Man. Once the reviews come out, demand will temper.

by Anonymousreply 182March 7, 2023 11:47 PM

Plus more shows will open in the next two months which will draw audiences away from Sweeney.

by Anonymousreply 183March 8, 2023 12:06 AM

Jesus, enough with the FOLLIES talk. I'd sooner wax poetic about the OBC of DROOD!

Lots of major and future stars in that cast: George Rose, Howard McGillin, Betty Buckley, Cleo Laine, Patti Cohenour, Donna Murphy, Judy Kuhn, Paige O'Hara, Alison Fraser, Karen Morrow...Loretta Swit! Not to mention a young Rob Marshall as Gracie's dance captain.

It's by no means a perfect musical, but in the Park and at the Imperial...it was a really fun night out in the theatre. Apparently there was even some in-fighting between some of the ladies and Donna M when she took over the part...wild!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184March 8, 2023 12:13 AM

I’m surprised Cleo Laine never did Broadway again. She got a warm reception

by Anonymousreply 185March 8, 2023 12:14 AM

Follies-adjacent ... considering the idea of the Paper Mill production opening during the '98-'99 Broadway season led me to look up musicals (or what got musical nominations) on the whole:

REVIVALS -- You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown, On the Town, Peter Pan, Annie Get Your Gun, Swan Lake, Little Me

CLOSED -- Bring in 'Da Noise, Bring in 'Da Funk, Titanic

OPENED -- Fosse, Marlene, The Gershwins' Fascinating Rhythm, Footloose, The Civil War, Parade, It Ain't Nothin' But the Blues, Band in Berlin

STILL RUNNING -- Miss Saigon, Les Miserables, The Phantom of the Opera, Jekyll & Hyde, Chicago, Cats, The Scarlet Pimpernel, Rent, Beauty and the Beast, The Sound of Music, Smokey Joe's Cafe, Cabaret, Ragtime, The Lion King

by Anonymousreply 186March 8, 2023 12:19 AM

You bitches are slipping. Patti Lupone just announced during her concert that she broker her wrist and sprained her knee falling face first into a scissor lift while filming her new Wandavision series

by Anonymousreply 187March 8, 2023 12:23 AM

Hmm ... sounds to me like *Patti* is the one who's slipping.

by Anonymousreply 188March 8, 2023 12:32 AM

R149-Walter Bobbie and Joe Mantello beg to differ.

by Anonymousreply 189March 8, 2023 12:36 AM

R182/R183 they said the same thing about Lea in FUNNY GIRL. That it would open big but then run out of steam after one month.

by Anonymousreply 190March 8, 2023 12:42 AM

No, they said that about Beanie, not Lea, and it was true. Groban isn't as overwhelmed in the part as Beanie was, but he's not driving the show. Ashford is, and that's a problem.

by Anonymousreply 191March 8, 2023 12:45 AM

Some people on here predicting that when Lea took over for FUNNY GIRL all the hoopla would die out after a month and the show would still end up losing money.

by Anonymousreply 192March 8, 2023 1:04 AM

They should film Funny Girl for PBS. The UK filmed their version with Sheridan Smith.

by Anonymousreply 193March 8, 2023 1:11 AM

They need to up the melodrama and stakes of SWEENEY. This meat pie is half baked right now. Not nearly enough blood, thrills or chills. The comedy is working (thanks largely to Ashford) but there's no Victorian melodrama afoot. No Grand Guignol! (Mary!)

Get that fucking whistle in there, flood that stage with hot red light when those throats are slashed and dirty up those costumes. We're missing SIZE and STYLE here. It has to be approached like a Shakespearean tragedy. That's why Cariou was so successful...he had those legit classical chops to lean into. John Cullum would've been a powerful Sweeney too for this same reason.

by Anonymousreply 194March 8, 2023 1:13 AM

I always wondered how Donna ended up being Betty's replacement in Drood when she wasn't the understudy. She did understudy Cleo and Judy Kuhn was the Drood understudy but left around the same time Betty did.

by Anonymousreply 195March 8, 2023 1:16 AM

Watch out of Singapore/Fuckin' Fling will drag you for giving directing advice, too! (Though you're probably right).

by Anonymousreply 196March 8, 2023 1:16 AM

R157, ALW has had a hit since PHANTOM: his last new show on Broadway, THE SCHOOL OF ROCK. It recouped, it toured, it licensed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197March 8, 2023 1:34 AM

Just fled Bad Cinderella at intermission. Totally free of wit or warmth. Bad book and lyrics. Some pretty melodies but the songs are drama-free. Understudy for the Prince was good. Actress playing Cinderella was charm-free. Whoever here said the show was campy was mistaken. It’s just stupid.

by Anonymousreply 198March 8, 2023 1:48 AM

[Quote] This meat pie is half baked right now.

Bwah ha ha ha ha hardee har har

by Anonymousreply 199March 8, 2023 1:49 AM

If the idea of someone selling Mrs. Lovett's Meat Pies isn't too popular for intermission at "Sweeney Todd", can I interest you in some Carol Channing Corn?

by Anonymousreply 200March 8, 2023 1:52 AM

R200 Wait for Shucked, honey.

by Anonymousreply 201March 8, 2023 2:07 AM

So is DEAR WORLD happening this week or not?

by Anonymousreply 202March 8, 2023 2:07 AM

[quote][R149]-Walter Bobbie and Joe Mantello beg to differ.

And how do two Broadway directors represent what playwrights earn?

Yeah Joe Mantello earns a shit-ton of money from...a Broadway musical that's run for 20 years.

One can earn a very tidy living in many fields on Broadway, but plays never ever break even. If you write a book for a monster musical hit that runs for years, sure.

by Anonymousreply 203March 8, 2023 2:08 AM

And I do concede I wasn't aware of the foreign licensing market for commercial American plays that R156 brings up. I could see where that could be a solid source of writing income.

But the number of talented off-Broadway playwrights who crossed over into film/TV in recent years is huge.

by Anonymousreply 204March 8, 2023 2:11 AM

[quote]One can earn a very tidy living in many fields on Broadway, but plays never ever break even. If you write a book for a monster musical hit that runs for years, sure.

Again, if someone writes a play that gets lots of productions beyond Broadway -- in regional theaters, community theaters, colleges and high schools -- that can yield LOTS of money, regardless of how long the play runs on Broadway or Off-Broadway. Several examples were given above, so I don't know why you're ignoring those. Or maybe you didn't read them.

by Anonymousreply 205March 8, 2023 2:34 AM

If what I'm reading and hearing about SWEENEY lacking bite and danger and darkness is true, it sounds to me like the major blame for all of that goes to the director, Thomas Kail, who has had his share of flops and disappointment along with one fairly big hit and one monster hit. Maybe he's distracted by being married to Michelle Williams and having fathered two children with her over the past three years.

by Anonymousreply 206March 8, 2023 2:41 AM

HELLO, FOLLIES! was what I heard that Sondheim called the Paper Mill production. (It also had some terrible Goldman rewrites.)

by Anonymousreply 207March 8, 2023 2:42 AM

Sweeney Todd needs to start passing out Morton Pot Pies at intermission. Stat!

by Anonymousreply 208March 8, 2023 2:46 AM

I'm free to hand out corn bread!

by Anonymousreply 209March 8, 2023 2:48 AM

Sweeney Todd could hire a few barbers to give haircuts at intermission.

by Anonymousreply 210March 8, 2023 2:51 AM

I'm all for a scary and bloody Sweeney, but maybe other audiences won't be as fussy. Maybe Sweeney Lite will. be just as pleasing to them, just as they were eager to embrace a Music Man that was misguided in many ways.

by Anonymousreply 211March 8, 2023 2:52 AM

Miss Kit would be so over-the-moon proud of Annaleigh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212March 8, 2023 2:53 AM

A Strange Loop changed their Twitter handle to @StrangeLoopLDN.. West End incoming

Does anyone know what all the drama was about at the end of Bway? Lots of vaguebooking, no facts

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213March 8, 2023 3:00 AM

I don’t recognize the names of the two leads in the London production of Mrs. Doubtfire. Where’s it being done, the Everyman in Mudchute?

by Anonymousreply 214March 8, 2023 3:18 AM

R194, bravo on your post, I so agree. Here’s a problem with Groban, and it might be a fatal flaw already baked into him as an actor. He doesn’t seem to truly look at his fellow performers, there an anxiety about his stage work, it’s REALLY evident In SWEENEY TODD, sort of like he’s drowning and accepting it while going down. He’s distant and struggling with way too much effort in the acting demands and he’s singing it as if he’s doing a spot on The Mike Douglas Show. Everything is thrown out of whack by his nebbish heart, he’s a Seymour NOT a Sweeney…

by Anonymousreply 215March 8, 2023 3:23 AM

Neither Phyllis nor Sally.

by Anonymousreply 216March 8, 2023 3:42 AM

r215 - nebbish is such a good word to describe Groban. I'm holding out hope this Sweeney revival will run long enough that Groban will eventually be replaced by a legit actor with both the vocal and dramatic chops for the role.

Unlikely...I know.

by Anonymousreply 217March 8, 2023 3:45 AM

[quote]Neither Phyllis nor Sally.

We're on Groban as Sweeney now. Try to keep up.

by Anonymousreply 218March 8, 2023 4:10 AM

Groban yourself into a tizzy, r218.

by Anonymousreply 219March 8, 2023 4:16 AM

Had he been able to sing a lick -- Richard Burton would've made one scary Sweeney. Chris Plummer too.

by Anonymousreply 220March 8, 2023 4:51 AM

and Elizabeth Taylor if she could really sing, might have made a formidable Mrs. Lovett, maybe like a funnier Martha from "Virginia Woolf" mode, opposite Burton.

by Anonymousreply 221March 8, 2023 6:19 AM

[quote] maybe that's just what FOLLIES needed to have been a success in revival on Broadway.

Not with cheesy old broads like Ann Miller, Kaye Ballard, and Phyllis Newman, it wouldn’t have.

by Anonymousreply 222March 8, 2023 6:47 AM

Ann Miller was great at Paper Mill. It was like seeing an MGM movie come to life, and she really delivered her big song. Fortunately I was able to see her sing and really dance back in "Sugar Babies" opposite a very funny and on his game Mickey Rooney.

by Anonymousreply 223March 8, 2023 6:49 AM

What Ann Miller “delivered” had nothing to do with I’m Still Here. It was tap dancing on a can, noisy and busy, just like her soup commercials.

by Anonymousreply 224March 8, 2023 7:13 AM

[quote]That's true of everything at Papermill. It's not known for its deep theatrical experiences.

I beg your pardon! I played Rose in "Gypsy" there and killed every laugh in the script!

by Anonymousreply 225March 8, 2023 7:20 AM

Oliver Reed would've made for a scary Sweeney on film in the early 80s. I imagine him opposite Glenda Jackson as Mrs. Lovett, with Ken Russell in the director's chair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226March 8, 2023 8:55 AM

Did the world really need another poorly sung movie Sweeney? Mr. Depp was enough for me.

by Anonymousreply 227March 8, 2023 9:47 AM

Ann Miller as Mrs. Lovett would've been interesting.

by Anonymousreply 228March 8, 2023 11:56 AM

Didn't Miller have a memorable appearance on daytime TV (I think the Dinah Shore Show) where she expressed her absolute disgust with Sweeney Todd?

by Anonymousreply 229March 8, 2023 12:12 PM

Zsa Zsa Gabor trashed 'Sweeney' on tv, saying she walked out (about 5:30 in vid.) I'm glad Dorothy Loudon didn't let Zsa Zsa's review sway her from seeing the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230March 8, 2023 12:18 PM

Didn't sway her from replacing Lansbury either several months later!

by Anonymousreply 231March 8, 2023 12:30 PM

I wonder how much John Cariani has made from Almost Maine. It only ran for a month off Broadway but it's become one of the most produced plays in the US every year for the last decade.

by Anonymousreply 232March 8, 2023 12:50 PM

[quote] Didn't sway her from replacing Lansbury either several months later!

A girl’s gotta eat.

by Anonymousreply 233March 8, 2023 12:57 PM

[quote]Ann Miller as Mrs. Lovett would've been interesting.

How about Carol Channing?

by Anonymousreply 234March 8, 2023 1:01 PM

When Alexis Smith, Dorothy Collins, Gene Nelson and Yvonne De Carlo were first announced for FOLLIES it sounded like extremely cheesey casting back then.

by Anonymousreply 235March 8, 2023 1:03 PM

Honest question so please don't flame me, but who/what is Josh Groban's fan base?? Middle aged fraus.....or what?

by Anonymousreply 236March 8, 2023 1:05 PM

When Za Za Gabor walks out of a show…you know you are in trouble

by Anonymousreply 237March 8, 2023 1:28 PM

Whenever Zsa Zsa walked...it was trouble.

by Anonymousreply 238March 8, 2023 1:42 PM

I see the comments about a nebbishy Sweeney and if Groban were a better actor, it could work. It would be a different take, but he could b a loser (so easily swept out of the way by the judge and beadle) who comes back and snaps into a real Hinckley type lunatic

by Anonymousreply 239March 8, 2023 1:50 PM

Little Red sings "Hold On" from THE SECRET GARDEN revival.

What say we?

She's got at least one Petra in her future, I say.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240March 8, 2023 2:05 PM

R235 you just can't help it, can you?

by Anonymousreply 241March 8, 2023 2:22 PM

Where's our DEAR WORLD insider? Is it still looking like it might be postponed for illness?

by Anonymousreply 242March 8, 2023 2:42 PM

I don’t know about Petra….but I think she would be good Vashti in a revival of the musical Giant

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243March 8, 2023 2:46 PM

[quote] ALW has had a hit since PHANTOM: his last new show on Broadway, THE SCHOOL OF ROCK. It recouped, it toured, it licensed.

Interestingly, when School of Rock was advertised, ALW's name was no where to be found

by Anonymousreply 244March 8, 2023 2:53 PM

That Secret Garden clip - Nothing like putting a full-figured gal in a big solid bright white pinafore. The lighting designer (and actress) must have wanted to kill the costume designer.

by Anonymousreply 245March 8, 2023 2:54 PM

[quote]When Alexis Smith, Dorothy Collins, Gene Nelson and Yvonne De Carlo were first announced for FOLLIES it sounded like extremely cheesey casting back then.

Gene Nelson was in the original production of FOLLIES?!

I've been posting on this thread since fall of 2018 so have become very familiar with the many mentions of FOLLIES but still don't know what it is. haha

Anyway, I have recently become acquainted with the tall, blonde, and handsome singer/dancer Gene Nelson and have been discovering his movies.

I guess I'll need to check out FOLLIES after all.

by Anonymousreply 246March 8, 2023 2:59 PM

SWEENEY ticket prices are nuts

by Anonymousreply 247March 8, 2023 3:03 PM

Talk about a sacrifice just to see a show!

by Anonymousreply 248March 8, 2023 3:07 PM

I wonder if Sweeney will be a hit though after the initial crowd? Josh Groban has a huge fan base….but a lot of them like hearing him sing Ava Maria not “Epiphany”

by Anonymousreply 249March 8, 2023 3:52 PM

[quote]When Alexis Smith, Dorothy Collins, Gene Nelson and Yvonne De Carlo were first announced for FOLLIES it sounded like extremely cheesey casting back then.

Cheesey isn't the right word, r235, it was just that the star power seemed low wattage. When the show opened, the casting made sense.

by Anonymousreply 250March 8, 2023 4:11 PM

[quote]but a lot of them like hearing him sing Ava Maria not “Epiphany”

Was Miss Gardner's middle name "Maria"? Who knew?

by Anonymousreply 251March 8, 2023 4:11 PM

[quote]SWEENEY ticket prices are nuts

Haven't prices really soared in general since Broadway reopened? Which, of course, is kind of nonsensical when you're trying to get people to come back to the theater following the pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 252March 8, 2023 4:18 PM

Who Needs A Shave? 'Sweeney Todd' Is Back:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253March 8, 2023 4:29 PM

THIS DAY IN BROADWAY HISTORY: In 2016, "Disaster!" opened at the Nederlander Theatre.

by Anonymousreply 254March 8, 2023 4:30 PM

[quote]THIS DAY IN BROADWAY HISTORY: In 2016, "Disaster!" opened at the Nederlander Theatre.

And was revived on Apr 24, 2022 under the new name " Funny Girl" Starring Elizabeth Greer Feldstein.

by Anonymousreply 255March 8, 2023 4:45 PM

disaster

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256March 8, 2023 5:12 PM

Does anyone know anything about the play, Flex, coming to the Newhouse this summer?

by Anonymousreply 257March 8, 2023 5:14 PM

I'm curious who is covering Groban in Sweeney. Because I'm dying to see it, but cannot afford it. But when he's out, the ticket prices might be lower? That's what I did for The Music Man - I saw Max, not Hugh Jackman. And Night Music, I saw Jane Patterson (sp?) instead of CZJ.

by Anonymousreply 258March 8, 2023 5:15 PM

By cheesey, r250, I meant a roster of has-been stars you'd expect to see at the Kenley Players in Ohio, a typical summer stock cast. I think cheesey is the perfect word, though, of course, I'll readily admit that all four actors proved themselves to be perfect casting once FOLLIES opened. I'm just expressing what men and my snarky young friends initially thought.

by Anonymousreply 259March 8, 2023 5:17 PM

Just read a press release on FLEX, r257, which said it's about a 1990s all-girl high school basketball team, directed by Lileana Blain-Cruz. Sorry not to link it but it's out there online now.

by Anonymousreply 260March 8, 2023 5:20 PM

Who's going to SHUCKED tonight?

by Anonymousreply 261March 8, 2023 5:22 PM

read upthread r258. try r77 and r80

by Anonymousreply 262March 8, 2023 5:26 PM

PS you lazy cunt

by Anonymousreply 263March 8, 2023 5:29 PM

When FOLLIES was first publicized, it had the aura of another nostalgic trip down Memory Lane, in the same manner as the previous hit revival of NO NO NANETTE. When I first saw it, in May of 1971, I was 22, surrounded by an audience made up of mostly older people, drawn to it by memories of those stars, and the lighthearted entertainments of yore.

What they got was a bitter mirror held up to them, exposing their aging daydreams of youthful ambitions gone sour. Probably because there was no intermission, most of them stayed, though I did notice a couple walkouts. Not me, of course. I was enthralled, and I was 22.

Decades later, I caught the recent revival when it went to L.A. It was just OK, with too many of the performers acting less and showing off more. More of an entertainment than an exploration. But the shock was that now I was the same age as the older audience that had surrounded me in ‘71. Dreams deferred, loves lost, compromises abounding.

I think the original FOLLIES abides, because of its unflinching courage to look at life changes, in however that may apply. Not pretty, never easy.

You’ll never be a kid again, kiddo.

by Anonymousreply 264March 8, 2023 5:48 PM

What a great conclusion to the Follies discussion.

by Anonymousreply 265March 8, 2023 5:59 PM

Similarly, I'm eager to see Jeanna deWaal play Mrs. Lovett. Adore Annaleigh and will see her next week, but I think the former Princess Di might be an interesting Nelly.

Anyone know how long Groban is committed to the show?

by Anonymousreply 266March 8, 2023 6:01 PM

The original Follies stars may have seemed like cheese when announced, but they proved to be anything but with their dazzling performances.

In the case of Ann Miller et al at Papermill, the cheese was real and stank up the show. Only Donna McKechnie and Larry Guittard knew what they were doing and delivered. (Dee Hoty was good but oddly underpowered and robbed of her best song).

by Anonymousreply 267March 8, 2023 6:02 PM

[r266] depending on reviews, anywhere from 6 months to 6 weeks

by Anonymousreply 268March 8, 2023 6:02 PM

Dee made a persuasive case for Ah, But Underneath, r267. John Simon was *very* positive about her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269March 8, 2023 6:06 PM

[quote]men and my snarky young friends

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 270March 8, 2023 6:33 PM

[quote]In the case of Ann Miller et al at Papermill, the cheese was real and stank up the show. Only Donna McKechnie and Larry Guittard knew what they were doing and delivered. (Dee Hoty was good but oddly underpowered and robbed of her best song).

I don't agree with your comments about "Ann Miller et al.," and I'm wondering if you can explain specifically what you didn't like or what you found "cheesy" about Tony Roberts' performance.

by Anonymousreply 271March 8, 2023 6:36 PM

[quote]What a great conclusion to the Follies discussion.

It was very incisive, but, of course, on DL, there's no such thing as a conclusion to a "Follies" discussion.

by Anonymousreply 272March 8, 2023 6:50 PM

Not sure why Donna is singing with a British accent, but I am very excited to see this one. Hope the rumor about it being delayed is not true.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273March 8, 2023 7:41 PM

Well, Ms. Murphy certainly is....articulating.

by Anonymousreply 274March 8, 2023 8:00 PM

[quote]Well, Ms. Murphy certainly is....articulating.

What's " articulating" mean?

by Anonymousreply 275March 8, 2023 8:02 PM

One doesn't usually refer to a singer as "playing" a song.

by Anonymousreply 276March 8, 2023 8:20 PM

The accent is overdone and unnecessary. It's what I disliked about her Dolly: she created a "character" that came. off as phony and forced. (And I like Donna generally.)

by Anonymousreply 277March 8, 2023 8:31 PM

R276 Oh yes they do.

by Anonymousreply 278March 8, 2023 8:45 PM

I typically like Donna but…eeeek….that was no bueno

by Anonymousreply 279March 8, 2023 8:48 PM

A Strange Loop will be getting a 12-week summer run at London’s Barbican.

I’m looking forward, but this is bizarre producing. Anything Goes or a breezy family summer show it ain’t.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280March 8, 2023 8:59 PM

are we taking bets on how early it will close?

by Anonymousreply 281March 8, 2023 9:01 PM

OMG, R226! That would’ve been amazing.

Too bad I’m not sure Ollie would’ve been in any shape to do it by then - though he might’ve been, just a few years after The Brood - but what a thought. Russell, Jackson and Reed - certainly the version I would’ve wanted to see.

by Anonymousreply 282March 8, 2023 9:15 PM

Arthur, Guinevere, Lancelot in a throuple?

I smell a big stinker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283March 8, 2023 9:17 PM

[quote]Sorkin and I talked about the book for the original production of the musical. He said: “I’ve always loved that Camelot’s first and second acts end not with musical numbers but with speeches. As a writer, I thought that was one for my team. And as the writer of a new book, I wanted Camelot to work as a play with songs. I think that’s what we’ve got here.” Sorkin added that he likes much of the original book’s approach to the spoken word. “I’ve always loved that Camelot’s first and second acts end not with musical numbers but with speeches. As a writer, I thought that was one for my team. And as the writer of a new book, I wanted ‘Camelot’ to work as a play with songs. I think that’s what we’ve got here.”

Incredibly, what I quoted above is exactly how this section appears in the article. It really does seem that, nowadays, people write articles or reviews and they are literally published as is, without being edited or even proofread by anyone.

by Anonymousreply 284March 8, 2023 9:34 PM

Yeah, oops.

by Anonymousreply 285March 8, 2023 9:36 PM

Maybe he said the same thing twice!

by Anonymousreply 286March 8, 2023 9:44 PM

Moss Hart is rolling in his grave.

by Anonymousreply 287March 8, 2023 9:46 PM

[quote]"And as the writer of a new book, I wanted ‘Camelot’ to work as a play with songs. I think that’s what we’ve got here."

A rather questionable approach for a musical that has a glorious score and an overly long, too-talky and ill-conceived book.

by Anonymousreply 288March 8, 2023 9:47 PM

My single "My Single is Dropping" is dropping.

by Anonymousreply 289March 8, 2023 9:48 PM

So Camelot has surprise, anal now?

by Anonymousreply 290March 8, 2023 9:49 PM

I think Donna's accent is about creating a fragile little old lady type character and the speech pattern is about that delicacy. When she's wigged and costumed and heard and seen in the context of the show, it will make more sense.

by Anonymousreply 291March 8, 2023 10:19 PM

Well, if they can wheel her in they can wheel her OUT!

by Anonymousreply 292March 8, 2023 10:23 PM

Is Sorkin alluding to a homosexual attraction Arthur might have for Lancelot in that interview? It sounds like it. It sounds like it.

by Anonymousreply 293March 8, 2023 10:23 PM

R195, it is not that common for understudies to be replacements.

by Anonymousreply 294March 8, 2023 10:23 PM

Does it sound like it, r293?

by Anonymousreply 295March 8, 2023 10:26 PM

Can we just have Donna do 'Anyone Can Whistle' again?

by Anonymousreply 296March 8, 2023 10:28 PM

Donna can be great and the again, she can be awful. Hated her in Into the Woods and her vocal imitation of Lenya in that Musical I can't remember anymore was hilariously bad.

by Anonymousreply 297March 8, 2023 10:38 PM

[quote]Dee made a persuasive case for Ah, But Underneath

Thanks for posting that, R269. Hoty works hard to sell the song.

But "Ah But Underneath," IMHO, remains one of Sondheim's worst efforts: unmelodic, unpleasant, inauthentic, contrived. The language sounds tortured, as if translated from Albanian and then force-fed a rhyming dictionary. It's a perfect Exhibit A for the few folks who don't love Sondheim: all of his worst, laziest habits in one brassy nothing-burger of a song.

by Anonymousreply 298March 8, 2023 10:44 PM

How's the free-wheeling patio number in the new Sweeney? (It does have one, of a sort.) And did they put the second half of The Contest back in? I hate it when it's cut "for time." Please, it's about three minutes. Might as well cut Chrysanthemum Tea from Pacific Overtures. (Oh, wait, some productions do...)

by Anonymousreply 299March 8, 2023 11:09 PM

Does the chorus wear hats, r299?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300March 8, 2023 11:18 PM

[quote] And did they put the second half of The Contest back in?

Pirelli is a wasted character. They should cut him completely.

by Anonymousreply 301March 8, 2023 11:40 PM

I prefer Angie's version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302March 8, 2023 11:45 PM

I want to know if the Judge’s “Joanna” is cut or not.

by Anonymousreply 303March 8, 2023 11:53 PM

[quote]Pirelli is a wasted character.

What are you going to do about the Eye-talian, r301?

by Anonymousreply 304March 8, 2023 11:58 PM

Who's really Irish! Dueling Tenor Types!

by Anonymousreply 305March 8, 2023 11:59 PM

[quote] Pirelli is a wasted character. They should cut him completely.

I do!

by Anonymousreply 306March 8, 2023 11:59 PM

Why wasn't Bernadette Peters in Follies in Concert?

by Anonymousreply 307March 9, 2023 12:20 AM

"How to Handle A Narcissist?"

by Anonymousreply 308March 9, 2023 12:24 AM

R300 Doris—those liner notes indicate that the idea of a new “hip” original musical that ends up a piece of shit is …nothing new.

But, at least that show gave us young Scott Jacoby…a teen-crush (so many guest appearances of Scotty on 70s tv).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309March 9, 2023 12:36 AM

R307, at that point the idea of Peters in a Sondheim musical seemed a bit weird since she was identified with schmaltz.

And age-wise she was between the generations needed for the characters. (And too big a name for the younger characters.)

by Anonymousreply 310March 9, 2023 12:39 AM

Pirelli is important because he recognizes Sweeney and his murder by Sweeney cements Sweeney’s ability to kill at will

by Anonymousreply 311March 9, 2023 12:58 AM

[quote] Pirelli is important because he recognizes Sweeney

Meh, that bit could be handled by the Beggar Woman.

by Anonymousreply 312March 9, 2023 1:01 AM

Do we think Groban will get significantly better, or is that all there is...?

by Anonymousreply 313March 9, 2023 1:19 AM

Somebody sent him this thread, and the previous ones

by Anonymousreply 314March 9, 2023 1:48 AM

Send, not sent

by Anonymousreply 315March 9, 2023 1:49 AM

Can't believe after all this time we are talking about Follies again. It's not as obnoxious as before thank goodness.

by Anonymousreply 316March 9, 2023 2:10 AM

I've heard that the Pirelli in. this production is great. And the actor is the Sweeney US.

by Anonymousreply 317March 9, 2023 2:16 AM

[quote]I want to know if the Judge’s “Joanna” is cut or not.

Is "Joanna" the nickname he gave to his dick? I'm guessing Joanna's uncut.

by Anonymousreply 318March 9, 2023 2:17 AM

Hey r316, you got something else, bring it.

by Anonymousreply 319March 9, 2023 2:18 AM

I'll buy the rewrite when Lance sings "If Ever I would. Leave You" to Arthur.

by Anonymousreply 320March 9, 2023 2:18 AM

I like the idea of a quieter, more tortured Sweeney, but if you can't build to or sell the anger in a song like "Epiphany", you shouldn't have been cast. Sweeney doesn't have to be one-note rage from the start, but he does have to be intimidating and frightening when he finally snaps. The clips I've heard have Groban sounded excellent, but there does seem to be a fire missing.

by Anonymousreply 321March 9, 2023 2:24 AM

Donna’s pianist in the clip is godawful.

by Anonymousreply 322March 9, 2023 2:27 AM

I prefer “Ah, But Underneath”. It’s concise and to the point. “The Story of Lucy & Jessie” is too confusing on first listen.

by Anonymousreply 323March 9, 2023 2:32 AM

New York, New York.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324March 9, 2023 2:43 AM

Dancin'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325March 9, 2023 2:45 AM

Jeff enjoyed " Sweeney"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326March 9, 2023 2:49 AM

[quote]"Ah But Underneath," IMHO, remains one of Sondheim's worst efforts: unmelodic, unpleasant, inauthentic, contrived. The language sounds tortured, as if translated from Albanian and then force-fed a rhyming dictionary. It's a perfect Exhibit A for the few folks who don't love Sondheim: all of his worst, laziest habits in one brassy nothing-burger of a song.

But, alas, Sondheim apparently insisted that the Paper Mill FOLLIES use that awful song rather than "Lucy and Jessie," which despite its flaws is still far superior.

by Anonymousreply 327March 9, 2023 3:14 AM

r324

Wowza, that bites.

by Anonymousreply 328March 9, 2023 3:18 AM

Goddamn, that NY,NY rehearsal clip above is cloying AF. It feels like they're all doing their senior year BFA showcase at CCM.

There's no grit to any of these performers any more. They're either too low key (the lead) or they're swishy and sassy, mugging up a storm. Fosse would be losing his shit at the lack of specificity and character.

by Anonymousreply 329March 9, 2023 3:20 AM

[Quote] Not sure why Donna is singing with a British accent

Because she’s French, silly. Didn’t you see Les Miz? jeez.

by Anonymousreply 330March 9, 2023 3:28 AM

To answer all the questions about Sweeney material, from someone whose friend taped the first preview: Judge's Johanna is out, as is the tooth-pulling half of The Contest, and -- not that anyone asked -- the Beggar Woman's Lullaby. In fairness, the tooth-pulling slows the show down and is kind of grisly, we don't need the Judge's Johanna sequence to know he's evil, and the Beggar Woman's Lullaby was an attempt to force the big reveal on the audience at a specific moment after they discovered people were figuring it out at different times. As Sondheim himself attested in his Hat books, they wrote the lullaby, and people still figured it out pretty much whenever, so no real need to keep it if it didn't fulfil its intended purpose.

by Anonymousreply 331March 9, 2023 3:32 AM

Angela's Aurelia voice...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332March 9, 2023 3:35 AM

Nobody named “Josh” should ever play Sweeney.

by Anonymousreply 333March 9, 2023 3:36 AM

Joshes should only play Matts or Kevins.

by Anonymousreply 334March 9, 2023 3:39 AM

[quote] we don't need the Judge's Johanna sequence to know he's evil,

I agree with you on Tooth Pulling and the Lullaby (which I never liked anyway), but I think the Judge’s “Joanna” is important. It makes him an irredeemable villain.

Also, I like that all three men get a song about Joanna, from three very different perspectives. It gives a balance to the show.

by Anonymousreply 335March 9, 2023 3:49 AM

Eh... it won Best Musical without it. I like it, but I can see cutting it.

by Anonymousreply 336March 9, 2023 3:50 AM

Betty's Aurelia--London premiere

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337March 9, 2023 5:18 AM

R300, I can’t believe that ran for nearly 400 performances. From the synopsis, it sounded like the only place it would run was right out of town. So that was the genesis of “I’ve Gotta Be Me”. Did Eydie get a hit number as well? It sounds like a really trying show.

Maybe ripe for revival by apparent Eydie Gorme lookalike, Maya Rudolph?

by Anonymousreply 338March 9, 2023 9:14 AM

Poor Betty Buckley. I’m sure she thought her London revival of Dear World would open doors for her, but it seemed to have closed them shut!

by Anonymousreply 339March 9, 2023 9:23 AM

Don't you worry about me, I'll be back in the high life again! All the doors that once were shut will open up again!

by Anonymousreply 340March 9, 2023 11:34 AM

"At that point the idea of Peters in a Sondheim musical seemed a bit weird since she was identified with schmaltz?"

It didn't seem weird to the Tony Award nominators when they nominated her for Best Actress the year before in Sunday in the Park.

by Anonymousreply 341March 9, 2023 11:51 AM

[r341] thank you!! I thought that was an odd comment that Bernadette had just given a career best performance in an original Sondheim musical and yet that previous poster said that she wouldn’t be thought of for a Sondheim piece.

Interestingly she was older than Patinkin at that time and if they cast him, they could have cast her.

by Anonymousreply 342March 9, 2023 11:55 AM

Wow! My timeline was off!

I thought Follies was a few years earlier than it was!

My mistake.

But my comment was based on how people thought it was odd that Peters was in Sunday in the Park. After Sunday, Peters was thought of in a very different way.

by Anonymousreply 343March 9, 2023 12:09 PM

No one thought it was odd that she was in Sunday in the Park. Everyone thought it was perfect casting. It's a losing battle with your argument.

by Anonymousreply 344March 9, 2023 12:27 PM

We're all Shucked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 345March 9, 2023 12:38 PM

Hurry and get your tickets for " New York, New York," before they're all gone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 346March 9, 2023 12:40 PM

"Shucked"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347March 9, 2023 12:41 PM

"Shucked" outdoors

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 348March 9, 2023 12:42 PM

Hey Jeff. at r326! Asshole! What about me?

by Anonymousreply 349March 9, 2023 12:50 PM

[quote]Hey Jeff. at [R326]! Asshole! What about me?

Which one were you?

by Anonymousreply 350March 9, 2023 1:14 PM

[quote]The Beggar Woman's Lullaby was an attempt to force the big reveal on the audience at a specific moment after they discovered people were figuring it out at different times. As Sondheim himself attested in his Hat books, they wrote the lullaby, and people still figured it out pretty much whenever, so no real need to keep it if it didn't fulfil its intended purpose.

I don't understand this. It would seem to me that, ideally, the creators of the show wouldn't want anyone in the audience to figure out the big reveal before Sweeney does. Of course, they couldn't prevent some people from figuring it out earlier, but again, I would think they'd want the truth to remain a secret for the bulk of the audience until that incredible moment in the final scene. That's why I really HATE it when the Beggar Woman's lullaby is inserted, because if people in the audience DO guess the truth at that moment, to me that's the equivalent of a premature ejaculation. Far more effective if we don't "get" it till Sweeney does.

Of course, I realize this can only happen the first time one sees the show, but if it does, it's a stunning moment.

by Anonymousreply 351March 9, 2023 1:15 PM

Here's a musical no one asked for.

Well, no one under 70.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352March 9, 2023 2:00 PM

[quote]The musical is set on New Year's Eve 1942 as a 27-year-old Italian-American singer is about to step onto the stage of New York's Paramount Theatre. As Sinatra's career skyrockets, he struggles with balancing the love of his wife, Nancy, against the demands and temptations of his career. When he begins an affair with Ava Gardner, his records stop selling and the press turns against him, but one of the greatest comebacks in showbiz will follow.

Well, if the show covers all that, then maybe the beginning of this description should have read: "The story begins on New Year's Eve 1942...." But anyway, the combination of director and book writer here does not bode well.

by Anonymousreply 353March 9, 2023 2:22 PM

R342, I've heard rumors that Bernadette is still older than Mandy to this day.

by Anonymousreply 354March 9, 2023 2:30 PM

I guess many people know that Sondheim's Epiphany lyric, "And my Lucy lies in ashes!" is his subtle clue to the Beggar Woman's identity. I doubt that many picked up on that first time around.

by Anonymousreply 355March 9, 2023 2:40 PM

The kids on BWW are going nuts for Shucked's first preview...

by Anonymousreply 356March 9, 2023 2:43 PM

They go nuts for everything.

by Anonymousreply 357March 9, 2023 2:50 PM

R348-Wait, did he actually sing "When I wasn't raising corn"???? You don't raise corn, you grow it. Strike One.

by Anonymousreply 358March 9, 2023 3:15 PM

[quote] I guess many people know that Sondheim's Epiphany lyric, "And my Lucy lies in ashes!" is his subtle clue to the Beggar Woman's identity. I doubt that many picked up on that first time around.

But at that point in the story, Sweeney has no clue that Lucy is alive. Lucy lies in ashes because she’s dead, as far as he knows.

The real clue is the repeated “Don’t I know you, mister?”

by Anonymousreply 359March 9, 2023 3:15 PM

It's not Sweeney's clue. It's Sondheim's.

by Anonymousreply 360March 9, 2023 3:16 PM

That’s way too clumsy for Sondheim.

by Anonymousreply 361March 9, 2023 3:17 PM

[quote]I guess many people know that Sondheim's Epiphany lyric, "And my Lucy lies in ashes!" is his subtle clue to the Beggar Woman's identity.

Honestly, that never occurred to me until you mentioned it. At the very end of the show, Mrs. Lovett does say something about the Beggar Woman "picking spuds out of ash cans," so I guess that supports your theory. But I think it's still a bit of a stretch, because "lies in ashes" doesn't mean the same thing as "picking spuds out of ashcans."

by Anonymousreply 362March 9, 2023 3:18 PM

It's more of a music clue than a lyric clue, R362.

by Anonymousreply 363March 9, 2023 4:06 PM

Is that my cue?

by Anonymousreply 364March 9, 2023 4:09 PM

Not my theory. Sondheim has said as much.

by Anonymousreply 365March 9, 2023 4:38 PM

Where?

by Anonymousreply 366March 9, 2023 4:47 PM

But he's DEAD.

by Anonymousreply 367March 9, 2023 5:08 PM

[quote]What do you get when you pair a semi-neurotic, New York comedy writer with two music superstars from Nashville? A hilarious and audacious musical about the one thing Americans everywhere can’t get enough of: corn. Shucked is the new musical comedy that proves sometimes tearing down a few walls, rather than growing them, is the only way to preserve our way of life. Shucked is about to turn Broadway on its ear and offer a kernel of hope for our divided nation.

Playbill's synopsis makes the show seem like a country version of " The Prom." Just substitute lesbians for the cornpones.

by Anonymousreply 368March 9, 2023 5:11 PM

SHUCKED!

by Anonymousreply 369March 9, 2023 5:37 PM

Of course the kids are going nuts for Shucked!

1) They/them cast

2) no real plot that makes them uncomfortable or learn

3) kids today hate melody in songs and enjoy straight tone singing

by Anonymousreply 370March 9, 2023 6:21 PM

[quote]kids today hate melody in songs and enjoy straight tone singing

So do contemporary Broadway composers.

by Anonymousreply 371March 9, 2023 6:32 PM

[quote]It's more of a music clue than a lyric clue, [R362].

How do you mean that? The melody for the phrase "And my Lucy lies in ashes" is heard more than once throughout the show, including in the organ prelude at the very beginning. In fact, it's the first melody we hear on the original Broadway cast recording. But that melody is not specifically associated with the Beggar Woman in the show -- at least, not till the moment when Todd slashes her throat, and that melody comes crashing out of the orchestra, which is arguably the biggest clue to the Beggar Woman's identity until it's actually revealed a few minutes later.

by Anonymousreply 372March 9, 2023 6:33 PM

R368, just to be clear, that synopsis of SHUCKED was not written by anyone at Playbill. It's from the show's press releases.

by Anonymousreply 373March 9, 2023 6:34 PM

[quote] Of course the kids are going nuts for Shucked! 1) They/them cast

What happened to “Go woke go broke!”?

Now it’s “how dare they appeal to the youth audience!”

by Anonymousreply 374March 9, 2023 6:36 PM

R344, I was working for an organization that did not have a great relationship with PH, which might have colored the view of it around the office.

But many thought Peters was a surprising choice.

Realize that her last three Broadway appearances were in flops--Mack and Mabel, On the Town, and La Strada. Most of us had seen her on in films where she did not sing (Silent Movie, The Jerk, Pennies from Heaven) and when we did see her sing it was on Carol Burnett. She was well-known, but not the first person you thought of for a sophisticated musical.

She was so fantastic in Sunday in the Park that after that our bosses wanted her for everything.

by Anonymousreply 375March 9, 2023 7:22 PM

Here's Bernadette singing in THE JERK...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 376March 9, 2023 7:29 PM

My brain is tired, what’s PH?

by Anonymousreply 377March 9, 2023 7:57 PM

I saw a very early preview of Sweeney, and remember the Judge's Joanna and the tooth pulling sequence. But I also could swear that Sweeney mistakenly killed Joanna at the end, (as well as almost everybody else.) It must have been changed very soon after. Does anyone else remember that?

by Anonymousreply 378March 9, 2023 7:58 PM

R377, Playwrights Horizons. The producer of Sunday in the Park.

by Anonymousreply 379March 9, 2023 8:03 PM

Thx.

by Anonymousreply 380March 9, 2023 8:11 PM

I think the Judge's Johanna was only in for the first preview? I saw the show early after opening and remember the tooth-pulling sequence. (I think it stayed in throughout the Broadway run?) It adds to the running time, but I thought it provides both comedy and was also a little grotesque.

by Anonymousreply 381March 9, 2023 8:12 PM

I’ve seen several productions of Sweeney that have included the Judge’s “Joanna”.

by Anonymousreply 382March 9, 2023 8:15 PM

[quote]Betty's Aurelia--London premiere

Her voice was already shot 10 years ago. She was not pleasant to listen to, although I'm aware the recording quality was poor.

by Anonymousreply 383March 9, 2023 8:32 PM

[quote]I saw a very early preview of Sweeney, and remember the Judge's Joanna and the tooth pulling sequence. But I also could swear that Sweeney mistakenly killed Joanna at the end, (as well as almost everybody else.) It must have been changed very soon after. Does anyone else remember that?

Hoo boy, I think your memory is seriously muddled as far as Sweeny mistakenly killing Johanna. There is that moment when he finds her hiding in the trunk in sailor's garb, and he ALMOST kills her, not realizing who she is, but then he hears Mrs. Lovett scream from the basement so he leaves Joanna in the barber shop and runs downstairs to see what the screaming is about.

As others have pointed out, the ending as it stands is heartbreaking because, aside from everything else that has happened, Johanna remains alive but she has no way of knowing that Sweeney was her father and the Beggar Woman was her mother. Nor will she ever know, because everyone who had that knowledge is now dead.

by Anonymousreply 384March 9, 2023 8:58 PM

"Funny Girl" has announced its closing date - September 3, 2023.

It was originally set to close on May 28, when Lea Michelle's contract was to expire, but they got her to extend through Spetember (bring in those summer tourists they missed out on last year) and she will make it one year in the role.

Get your tickets today !

by Anonymousreply 385March 9, 2023 9:06 PM

Good for her.

by Anonymousreply 386March 9, 2023 9:07 PM

Are you posting from last week, R385?

by Anonymousreply 387March 9, 2023 9:17 PM

Maybe there should be a whole crowd of beggars accosting characters throughout 'Sweeney' instead of just Lucy. She can still be the pervy one, and the nosy one, but she'd blend in better if there were always other beggars around, cuz London's full of 'em, sir.

by Anonymousreply 388March 9, 2023 9:24 PM

Bernadette has always been a darling in the NY theater world, even in the 1970s and 80s, despite her Broadway flops (where she was rightfully never held to blame), her films (some of which were schlocky but, again, she was not blamed) nor her appearances on TV variety hours which always seemed to lift those shows to higher standards because of her Broadway cred.

So her casting as Dot was a huge coup and very much raised the expectations on Sunday, especially because it was starting out off-off-Broadway at PH, a very unusual circumstance for Broadway musicals at the time, A Chorus Line not withstanding. I find nothing about her casting surprising or odd.

by Anonymousreply 389March 9, 2023 10:24 PM

Playwrights Horizons was (and is) Off-Broadway, not Off Off.

by Anonymousreply 390March 9, 2023 11:19 PM

What I find odd is Bernadette had a good run with Sunday, Into the Woods and then Goodbye Girl….but then she stayed away until Annie Get Your Gun. I wonder if anything came to her during the 5 year hiatus that she would have been good for?

by Anonymousreply 391March 9, 2023 11:56 PM

By the late 70s - early 80s or so, Bernadette appeared pretty regularly on late night tv shows like Johnny Carson's "Tonight Show" where she would usually do two songs per appearance: the first one would be a cutesy up-tempo and the second one would be a torch song like "Mean to Me" with Bernadette exhibiting real tears in her eyes. Girl knew to do contrasting pieces back then, too.

by Anonymousreply 392March 9, 2023 11:56 PM

Unfortunately, Bernadette's role in "Goodbye Girl" was as a stick in the mud; couldn't wait for Martin Short to come back on stage. Her character was better dealt with in the film -- musicalizing her anger and issues just slowed down the show and didn't do it or Bernadette any favors. Short was delightful though, but then again, so is Richard Dreyfuss in the movie as well.

by Anonymousreply 393March 9, 2023 11:59 PM

Marty Short was the MVP of that underbaked "Goodbye Girl". Bernie didn't have a chance to break out from that underwritten part. Short was also spectacular in Little Me (bailing out a miscast Faith Prince), Encore's Promises, Promises and The Producers in LA.

He might be older, but I think he'd KILL as Pseudolus in a limited revival of "Forum". I think that role actually gets funnier with someone decidedly over-the-hill in the part (like Silvers or Frankie Howerd when he revived it in London in the 80s). Like Nathan Lane, he's one of the few remaining Broadway stars that actually understands vaudeville/burlesque and how to play musical comedy.

by Anonymousreply 394March 10, 2023 12:05 AM

Between Sunday and Into the Woods, Bernadette did Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Song & Dance, which the song Unexpected Song was added. When she left, Betty Buckley took over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 395March 10, 2023 12:55 AM

I'm pissed off at modern Broadway part writing. I'm a bass-baritone and the men's ensemble parts are all written for rock tenor.

by Anonymousreply 396March 10, 2023 1:12 AM

Are they serving a Pirelli's Miracle Elixir-tini at intermission?

by Anonymousreply 397March 10, 2023 1:37 AM

Bernadette Peters' voice - speaking or singing - lets my tith on etch.

by Anonymousreply 398March 10, 2023 1:45 AM

SETS.....SETS......

by Anonymousreply 399March 10, 2023 1:46 AM

I believe in the early 1980s "off-Broadway" was still considered commercially produced shows at theaters like the Lortel (or Theatre de Lys, as it was then called), the Variety Arts, the Orpheum, the Westside Arts, etc. "Off-off-Broadway" was then the term for all those non-profit theaters like Playwrights Horizons, Manhattan Theatre Club, the WPA, the Hudson Guild, Theatre for a New City, and a few others.

So, a show like Steel Magnolias that began off-off-Broadway at the WPA would become an off-Broadway show when t moved to the Lortel/de Lys.

by Anonymousreply 400March 10, 2023 1:55 AM

R370 I can’t speak for her work on Shucked! but Brandy Clark is a damn good storyteller/songwriter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 401March 10, 2023 1:59 AM

R400, you are completely wrong about off and off-off Broadway.

Those institutional theaters had off-Broadway contracts and were listed in the papers as off-Broadway.

Off-0ff-Broadway were either non-union or under showcase code. The theater were usually much smaller, often under 100 seats.

You might want to look at some histories, like Playing Underground by Stephen J. Scott-Bottoms to get a clearer picture.

by Anonymousreply 402March 10, 2023 2:06 AM

Paging Scott—Bottoms! Mr. Scott—Bottoms!

by Anonymousreply 403March 10, 2023 2:49 AM

r402, I started my professional theater career in NY in 1978 and worked in every one of those venues I mentioned in my post, so I don't have to consult any histories.

I will say, however, that "off-Broadway" and "off-off-Broadway" were never really officially differentiated by those labels in contracts and "off-off-Broadway" was simply never used or applied in any theatrical union's contractual terms as a designator.

by Anonymousreply 404March 10, 2023 2:54 AM

And, scene

by Anonymousreply 405March 10, 2023 2:59 AM

THR reviews "A Doll's House":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406March 10, 2023 4:22 AM

Deadline:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 407March 10, 2023 4:22 AM

NYT:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 408March 10, 2023 4:23 AM

R400 / R404, no matter how vehemently you keep insisting that you're right about the definitions of Off-Broadway and Off-Off-Broadway, the fact is that you've been proven wrong.

by Anonymousreply 409March 10, 2023 4:29 AM

"Right up until a stunning coup de théâtre in the closing moments (no spoilers here),..."

Can someone who's seen "The Doll's House" please spoil it for me?

by Anonymousreply 410March 10, 2023 6:09 AM

Nora takes a shit in Torvald’s mouth.

by Anonymousreply 411March 10, 2023 6:27 AM

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 412March 10, 2023 7:29 AM

Nora doesn’t actually exit the house, instead the house exits stage left and leaves her behind.

by Anonymousreply 413March 10, 2023 9:03 AM

It's a great coup de theatre: The house is swept up by a cyclone, does a few spins, and than lands on Nora.

by Anonymousreply 414March 10, 2023 9:10 AM

^when Nora makes her final exit: she opens a stage door in the back wall and you see her exit directly onto the street, live.….

It’s not that original… if you’ve seen Audrey Hepburn in The Nun’s Story…just recall the final scene of the convent side door opening and watching Audrey exit directly into the bustling world beyond.

by Anonymousreply 415March 10, 2023 10:40 AM

R404, I was also there at the same time and you truly are just wrong. In fact, this is an error I have never heard anyone make before.

No one EVER called Playwrights Horizons in the 80s an "off-off-Broadway" company.

Maybe you should look in the Friday Listings or Sunday Arts Guide in Times Wayback machine. You will see Playwrights Horizons, Manhattan Theater Club, The Public, etc listed as off-Broadway.

Or read a book on New York Theater History in the 80s. Or biographies of Sondheim and James Lapine's book. Or even grab Frank Rich's compilation of his reviews at the time.

by Anonymousreply 416March 10, 2023 10:48 AM

Does Nora hop in an Uber?

by Anonymousreply 417March 10, 2023 10:49 AM

In SWEENEY is the Judge’s Johanna scene the self-flagellating scene? Does any production keep that in anymore?

by Anonymousreply 418March 10, 2023 10:50 AM

^ Something like that was done in the Broadway version of Network—two characters leave the stage for a conversation, and on a video screen we see them outside—on the sidewalk—acting live amidst the street scene…

by Anonymousreply 419March 10, 2023 10:54 AM

They did that in the OG production of Network at the NT, Lady Mary and Douglas Henshall walked around the South Bank.

by Anonymousreply 420March 10, 2023 11:12 AM

I love the idea that Nora’s Uber driver arrives.

by Anonymousreply 421March 10, 2023 11:12 AM

R415, once the reviews for A Doll’s House come out, Chastain will open the door and keep walking.

by Anonymousreply 422March 10, 2023 11:14 AM

R420. In NY it was sex-on-a-stick Tony Goldwyn and that Tatiana whatsername? I was watching only Tony🤙🏼

by Anonymousreply 423March 10, 2023 11:19 AM

Word is the only half the house can see this magical inventive [italic] COO [/italic]

by Anonymousreply 424March 10, 2023 11:49 AM

The ending has Jessica Chastain ripping off her wig and mask, only to be discovered as Faye Dunaway.

by Anonymousreply 425March 10, 2023 12:35 PM

[quote] Word is the only half the house can see this magical inventive COO

If you are going to A DOLL'S HOUSE make sure you are sitting house right.

by Anonymousreply 426March 10, 2023 12:55 PM

[quote]The ending has Jessica Chastain ripping off her wig and mask, only to be discovered as Faye Dunaway.

This is like MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE.

Remember when the little Japanese ballerina would peel off her face and it would be Martin Landau?

by Anonymousreply 427March 10, 2023 1:06 PM

Interesting video on the reconfiguration of the Bway for HERE LIES LOVE.

I will definitely be there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 428March 10, 2023 1:30 PM

Thanks, R416. Clearly, R404 (etc.) is one of those "know-it-alls" who actually know a lot less than they think they do.

by Anonymousreply 429March 10, 2023 1:31 PM

R428, the set looks pretty cool.

Sadly the show itself was just meh when I saw it at the Public Theatre

by Anonymousreply 430March 10, 2023 1:35 PM

“audaciously minimalist “= Cheaply unimaginative in plain speak.

by Anonymousreply 431March 10, 2023 1:51 PM

There are some Instagram photos of the pre-set and curtain call of CAMELOT's first preview on BroadwayWorld. Gotta say it looks beautifully austere and elegant and timeless in the best way, and the few posters who were there all thoroughly enjoyed it, complaining only that its needs some cutting and quicker pacing, which it's sure to get.

With all the fractured fairy tales trash we're now seeing on Broadway, I think CAMELOT will be even more lauded and praised and a huge hit for LCT.

by Anonymousreply 432March 10, 2023 1:58 PM

Thanks for the link R423

by Anonymousreply 433March 10, 2023 2:04 PM

Here's a glimpse of CAMELOT curtain calls.

It appears they're all setting up tents to camp out under the Tri-Borough Bridge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 434March 10, 2023 2:11 PM

My friend went to see the meat pie show and texted after, “Teeny Sweeney” followed by, “It’s a VEGAN Sweeney Todd, where’s the beef?”…they were grateful for the orchestra, had faint praise for the leads, loved the Beggar Woman, Pirelli and Tobias. All Singing, All Dancing, No Killing!

by Anonymousreply 435March 10, 2023 2:12 PM

Who knew Bad Cinderella would be so gay? She of the title role is just not up to it. First time I've been to a show in years where the audience in the Orchestra stayed seated for the curtain call.

by Anonymousreply 436March 10, 2023 2:29 PM

[quote]First time I've been to a show in years where the audience in the Orchestra stayed seated for the curtain call.

A bad sign, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 437March 10, 2023 2:59 PM

I always though that was good luck?

by Anonymousreply 438March 10, 2023 3:05 PM

Phillipa Soo is damn beautiful! So nice to see with the 2 great looking leading men. Old-time Broadway!

by Anonymousreply 439March 10, 2023 3:09 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 440March 10, 2023 3:19 PM

I'm not anti-Sondheim, but I would get a kick out of Camelot beating Into the Woods and Sweeney Todd for Best Revival at the Tony Awards. Heads will explode.

by Anonymousreply 441March 10, 2023 3:22 PM

Does anyone besides the nominated producers even really care about the the Best Revival Tonys?

by Anonymousreply 442March 10, 2023 3:26 PM

[quote]Heads will explode.

Why, r441? People understand Sondheim isn't responsible for anything but the music and lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 443March 10, 2023 3:39 PM

Camelot costumes look nice. Sets look like an airline terminal, but we see only a glimpse.

by Anonymousreply 444March 10, 2023 3:55 PM

SHUCKED!

by Anonymousreply 445March 10, 2023 4:00 PM

About once every two years or so we see a show land in NYC (usually Broadway, sometimes not) that is aggressively over-hyped while giving strong indications that it's a steaming pile of shit.

"Shucked" feels like one of those shows.

by Anonymousreply 446March 10, 2023 4:20 PM

I can't believe it, but Camelot was good! I was surprised how well the new book (no magic, more military /royal duty focus) fit with the songs.

King Arthur is better since he is a young king who is a bad fit for the traditional royal traditions while creating the round table. Never seen the actor before but liked him especially when interacting with the traditional, violent knights who turn on him. For the first time, I enjoyed "Fie on Goodness" and the audience seemed to understand and really like it too. There are a couple of nice reprises I hadn't heard before.

Actors mainly stick to American or transatlantic accents, which I expected.

Morgan Lefay and Merlin are odd b/c they're in it so little but mentioned heavily in this book. If you've seen the older versions/concert versions you might hate their treatment b/c that means less magic/wizardry. Maybe some pissed off Wiccans out there...

Overall, it was a pleasant surprise. If you didn't know about the old book or who wrote this, you might enjoy it even more. I couldn't help comparing some old things I liked with some new ones (no Nimue, no "Persuasion").

by Anonymousreply 447March 10, 2023 4:29 PM

How was Jordan?

by Anonymousreply 448March 10, 2023 4:30 PM

Burnap was one of the best reasons to see The Inheritance.

by Anonymousreply 449March 10, 2023 4:36 PM

Burlap was one of the best reasons to visit a dressing room after a performance.

by Anonymousreply 450March 10, 2023 4:45 PM

Sorry, BURNAP.

by Anonymousreply 451March 10, 2023 4:46 PM

Good gawd, they could certainly pick up the pace of that Camelot curtain call…jeez, what a bore. So now that King Arthur is portrayed as a cuck, he’s no longer the star of the show? Who’s the squat little influencer they have playing Guinevere? I’d bet my life she has Heathers on her CV.

by Anonymousreply 452March 10, 2023 4:46 PM

Is THAT Phillipa Soo? Good gawd, get her some heels.

by Anonymousreply 453March 10, 2023 4:47 PM

R447, does Arthur still have his big speech (Question…?) or did Sorkin replace it with a walk and talk?

by Anonymousreply 454March 10, 2023 4:50 PM

r452, Arthur has always been portrayed a cuckold, for centuries. Are you that unfamiliar with the source material?

And I'm guessing this is a temporary curtain call to get them through early previews. Though everything about this production looks so damn austere and tasteful, this may be all we ever get at the end. Personally, I'm all for the look of this. At least there's a strong point of view.

by Anonymousreply 455March 10, 2023 5:01 PM

I don't like the color of the Camelot stage. Looks like a daycare in the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 456March 10, 2023 5:05 PM

Clearly I’m unfamiliar with much of it, R455. I’ve previously only read it, a long time ago, but I know it’s always been about a love triangle. I thought I’d read here that Sorkin has turned it into a throuple.

And full apologies to Phillipa Soo for my stupid remark. I love Phillipa Soo, thought she was really good in Dopesick. Though I still think she’d do well to get a pair of stately high heels.

by Anonymousreply 457March 10, 2023 5:07 PM

Camelot set - talk about Spartan. It looks so bright and shiny!

by Anonymousreply 458March 10, 2023 5:10 PM

What a Lulu...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 459March 10, 2023 5:40 PM

[quote]^ Something like that was done in the Broadway version of Network—two characters leave the stage for a conversation, and on a video screen we see them outside—on the sidewalk—acting live amidst the street scene…

I remember that, r420. The Rocky Horror revival did something like that as well, but it was prerecorded.

by Anonymousreply 460March 10, 2023 5:43 PM

If half the audience cannot see the coup de theatre, was it a coup?

by Anonymousreply 461March 10, 2023 5:47 PM

Demi-coup, r461.

by Anonymousreply 462March 10, 2023 5:49 PM

Linedy Genao ruins Bad Cinderella, and since she's playing the titular role, that's a problem. Jordan Dobson brows with each progressive scene and his first act solo is gorgeous. I've never seen such overtly gay chorus boys but they are gorgeous and such fun to watch. The families in the audience were left perplexed and disgruntled. It's a show for the boys in the band.

by Anonymousreply 463March 10, 2023 6:03 PM

^grows.

by Anonymousreply 464March 10, 2023 6:03 PM

Egad!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 465March 10, 2023 6:10 PM

Songs cut from or re-written for Broadway shows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 466March 10, 2023 6:15 PM

Genoa is certainly not great, but what ruins bad Cinderella is a convoluted plot and terrible songs. And yes, the audience also stay seated at the curtain call when I saw it as well. It was actually one thing I liked about the night, since standing ovations are given out way too freely these days.

by Anonymousreply 467March 10, 2023 6:30 PM

I hated Bad Cinderella on Broadway this week. Witless and charm-free. One of the worst books I’ve seen. And I saw Metro!

by Anonymousreply 468March 10, 2023 6:38 PM

"Witless and charm free"= Sir Andrew's Aspects of Love, the single worst evening I ever had in the theater.

by Anonymousreply 469March 10, 2023 6:48 PM

Love, r469, love changes everything.

by Anonymousreply 470March 10, 2023 6:50 PM

[quote]Overall, it was a pleasant surprise. If you didn't know about the old book or who wrote this, you might enjoy it even more. I couldn't help comparing some old things I liked with some new ones (no Nimue, no "Persuasion")

If there's no Nimue, does that mean "Follow Me" has been cut, or does someone else sing it? I think it's a beautiful song, and it would be sad to lose it.

by Anonymousreply 471March 10, 2023 6:52 PM

I agree about " Aspects of Love." Absolutely dreadful. So, having seen this from London, I might have to change my mind, but I doubt it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 472March 10, 2023 6:53 PM

r470 Love changed nothing.

by Anonymousreply 473March 10, 2023 6:54 PM

Love never dies. Except in the West End.

by Anonymousreply 474March 10, 2023 6:55 PM

^This

by Anonymousreply 475March 10, 2023 6:57 PM

R463 R467 R468, what’s the gym scene like? Sounds like they’re trying to get a young male “Mamma Mia” chorus number in there.

by Anonymousreply 476March 10, 2023 6:57 PM

Aspects of Love was not all bad. I thought this was a nice song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 477March 10, 2023 7:26 PM

Next to Starlight Express, Aspects of Love was Gypsy!

by Anonymousreply 478March 10, 2023 7:29 PM

AOL sucked dirty toes.

by Anonymousreply 479March 10, 2023 7:35 PM

You've got mail, r479.

by Anonymousreply 480March 10, 2023 7:37 PM

Aspects of Love was indeed awful, but it had a few beautiful melodies, some repeated over and over and over. Bad Cinderella has no redeeming features. Even the hunky, sometimes shirtless male soldiers grow tiresome as second-rate Gastons from Beauty and the Beast.

by Anonymousreply 481March 10, 2023 7:40 PM

You want bad? Listen to Tim Rice’s Blondell. Even Elaine Paige couldn’t sell it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 482March 10, 2023 7:41 PM

Parade will win the Tony for Best Revival, not Camelot, Into The Woods or anything else.

by Anonymousreply 483March 10, 2023 7:42 PM

^^Elaine Paige trying to sell Blondel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 484March 10, 2023 7:43 PM

This is not the first time that the BroadwY Theatre seating was redesigned. In October 1972 the seating was redisgned for DUDE which lasted a mere month on Broadway. Many of the cast came from a hole in the ceiling and it depended how long in the run how many did that. I saw the show...... When it closed in 1977 it was used for a revival of CANDIDE which had played at the Brooklyn Academy and transfered to Broadway. They were able to use that seating making it a theatre in the round, like a circus with sawdust on the floor and we were given peanuts and we were told to throw the shells on the floor. It ran for 740 performances. After that it returned to its normal theatre seating.

by Anonymousreply 485March 10, 2023 7:43 PM

Maybe they'll have drawings for replicas of some of Imelda Marcos' shoes to lucky ticketholders, too?

by Anonymousreply 486March 10, 2023 7:48 PM

dude butt

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 487March 10, 2023 7:48 PM

Soo looks lovely in that CAMELOT clip, surprised to see people on DL complain about the curtain call being simple: Go see SIX if you need some splashy trash for your Instagram story.

Anyway, no preview will change the fact that the leads' voices are two sizes too small for a score like CAMELOT.

by Anonymousreply 488March 10, 2023 7:49 PM

I was there last night at Vivian Beaumont for Camelot, I agree with R432. While it needs to be cut—3 hours 15 minutes—it’s going to be a hit for LCT. Loved Jordan, he hit it out of the park. Everyone is going to be talking about him! Soo and Burnap are superb, rest of cast is excellent getting their dotting for sure.

by Anonymousreply 489March 10, 2023 8:27 PM

Oops “footing for sure”

by Anonymousreply 490March 10, 2023 8:28 PM

r463, Linedy Genao?

Sounds like a bad anagram for Genie A. Doyle

by Anonymousreply 491March 10, 2023 9:16 PM

Speaking of both Guys and Dolls and immersive theater, the Hytner production at the Bridge in London has sensational WOM - reviews next week. Will be interesting to see if there is momentum to bring it to Bway.

by Anonymousreply 492March 10, 2023 9:40 PM

I'm still waiting for Hytner's immersive Bridge production of Midsummer Night's Dream to come to the US. I've watched it far too many times on National Theatre at Home. (And what's Oliver Chris up to these days anyway?)

by Anonymousreply 493March 10, 2023 9:43 PM

I'll be seeing that G&D at the Bridge in a few weeks! Can't wait.

I'd heard that the G&D that was recently done at the Kennedy Center was prohibited, even before it opened to sensational reviews, from moving forward to Broadway because of rights issues. So, I don't know if that means the Hytner production has dibs on the next Broadway revival of the show.

by Anonymousreply 494March 10, 2023 9:44 PM

Hal Prince's Candide ran at the Broadway Theatre from March 1974 to July 1977. Dude closed in 1972.

by Anonymousreply 495March 10, 2023 9:45 PM

Is immersive theatre the future of Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 496March 10, 2023 9:45 PM

Immersive FOLLIES!

by Anonymousreply 497March 10, 2023 9:46 PM

Most DLers are old enough for immersive Follies. I call dibs on Hattie.

by Anonymousreply 498March 10, 2023 10:16 PM

I love sets and costumes

by Anonymousreply 499March 10, 2023 10:22 PM

Thank you for sharing, r499. And they love you.

by Anonymousreply 500March 10, 2023 10:26 PM

I like blue

by Anonymousreply 501March 10, 2023 10:46 PM

Did somebody actually get paid to edit this video?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 502March 10, 2023 11:06 PM

[quote] Hal Prince's Candide ran at the Broadway Theatre from March 1974 to July 1977.

You're both wrong. Hal Prince's Candide ran from March 1974 to January 1976.

by Anonymousreply 503March 10, 2023 11:46 PM

R493 That was a stunning production. And Gods, Oliver is dreamy as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 504March 11, 2023 12:08 AM

Oh, how I wish Elaine Paige starred in a musical about Joan Blondell.

by Anonymousreply 505March 11, 2023 12:14 AM

It's the green dress that Sally should have worn in "Follies" that should be desired by all potential Sallys (and probably a good percentage of DL).

by Anonymousreply 506March 11, 2023 1:08 AM

R506 The braying mule wore the green dress at the National.

by Anonymousreply 507March 11, 2023 1:10 AM

Oliver Chris is doing a lot of tv series

Maternal

Trying

Motherland

by Anonymousreply 508March 11, 2023 1:14 AM

I woulda worn this green dress...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 509March 11, 2023 1:16 AM

[quote]I love sets and costumes

You might be disappointed in the new production of "A Doll's House."

by Anonymousreply 510March 11, 2023 1:38 AM

I love how the " Follies" trolls continually try to randomly bring up a show reference in the middle of other show's discussion in an attempt to hijack the thread and please themselves for what they did. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 511March 11, 2023 1:55 AM

Okay r319

How about the first preview for Camelot and the first preview for the straight play Life of Pi, anybody go?

by Anonymousreply 512March 11, 2023 2:00 AM

I love how you hate it when we're happy and you're not, r511.

by Anonymousreply 513March 11, 2023 2:04 AM

“Follies trolls”? This is the internet’s premier message board to discuss Follies. If you don’t like it, fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 514March 11, 2023 2:11 AM

We’re STILL HERE!

by Anonymousreply 515March 11, 2023 2:12 AM

...at the Roxy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 516March 11, 2023 2:14 AM

r510 that’s what I meant

by Anonymousreply 517March 11, 2023 2:33 AM

Just back from Life of Pi. It’s wonderful. The lead and the three-person tiger puppet are great.

by Anonymousreply 518March 11, 2023 2:48 AM

Life of Pi from London

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 519March 11, 2023 2:56 AM

[quote]Speaking of both Guys and Dolls and immersive theater, the Hytner production at the Bridge in London has sensational WOM - reviews next week. Will be interesting to see if there is momentum to bring it to Bway.

At least they will probably film it for NT-Live. They've done several others from the Bridge.

by Anonymousreply 520March 11, 2023 11:42 AM

Well, if another producer has the Broadway rights to Guys & Dolls, could they prohibit a filming of the Bridge's G&D?

by Anonymousreply 521March 11, 2023 12:25 PM

Will they have to change the title " Guys and Dolls" in order not to offend the feminists?

by Anonymousreply 522March 11, 2023 12:33 PM

If I attend an immersive Follies, does it mean I'll be tripping over myself and kicked by a bunch of chorus boys?

by Anonymousreply 523March 11, 2023 1:07 PM

R523, does Follies even have chorus boys?

by Anonymousreply 524March 11, 2023 1:09 PM

Oh come now. Are you 12?

by Anonymousreply 525March 11, 2023 1:11 PM

Blythe Danner bumped into many a chorus boy when she was Phyllis.

And yet she was STILL Tony nominated.

by Anonymousreply 526March 11, 2023 1:27 PM

do you really enjoy saying the same thing every thread?

by Anonymousreply 527March 11, 2023 1:42 PM

R527 = *b r u i s e d* chorus boy.

by Anonymousreply 528March 11, 2023 1:44 PM

[521] of course, it will have to now be called "They & Them" and Marry the man Today will be cut because it promotes patriarchal cisgender heteronormative behavior

by Anonymousreply 529March 11, 2023 1:45 PM

[quote]I’m confused by Ramin….so does that mean no more shirtless content?

HE'S the one who's confused, and/or a hypocritical blowhard.

by Anonymousreply 530March 11, 2023 2:02 PM

[quote] sure don't enjoy reading it

What on earth made you think we were posting for your amusement? Nobody gives a shit what you enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 531March 11, 2023 2:17 PM

r530 Perfectly said...what a clown!

by Anonymousreply 532March 11, 2023 2:53 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 533March 11, 2023 3:06 PM

I wore that green dress better...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 534March 11, 2023 3:28 PM

Have a seat Keira...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 535March 11, 2023 3:47 PM

This dress?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 536March 11, 2023 3:56 PM

R534 Keira, doll, you have no tits to fill out the top.

by Anonymousreply 537March 11, 2023 3:57 PM

[quote]...at the Roxy

What happened to that show about the Minnesota man who fell in love with a Mississippi girl and sacrificed everything and moved all the way to Biloxi? Isn't that what's playing at the Roxy?

by Anonymousreply 538March 11, 2023 4:05 PM

[quote]Isn't that what's playing at the Roxy?

No.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 539March 11, 2023 4:08 PM

A definite threat to hs theater productions is adult interference and both right and left cancel culture. But, it can be worked out if the parties are mature. You can be sure that this hs production sold out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 540March 11, 2023 4:18 PM

Holy shit, that Dolores Gray clip was horrendous! Her voice is fine, but what the fuck is she doing? She has no idea what she's singing, even though she's pretty much doing an ASL show to help explain it.

by Anonymousreply 541March 11, 2023 4:37 PM

Dolores Gray either had ASL or ALS

by Anonymousreply 542March 11, 2023 5:31 PM

Geez, Dolores. “I’m Still Here” isn’t a funeral dirge. Speed it up. Maybe take a page from Liza Minnelli’s book and sing songs at a faster tempo than necessary.

by Anonymousreply 543March 11, 2023 5:41 PM

Do we think Liza always intended her songs to be sung that fast or did the musicians just have to keep up once the cocaine kicked in?

by Anonymousreply 544March 11, 2023 6:28 PM

I think Dolores had a GTO.

by Anonymousreply 545March 11, 2023 8:05 PM

[quote]Do we think Liza always intended her songs to be sung that fast or did the musicians just have to keep up once the cocaine kicked in?

Of course not.

by Anonymousreply 546March 11, 2023 8:07 PM

[quote]I think Dolores had a GTO.

And multiple STDs.

by Anonymousreply 547March 11, 2023 8:26 PM

The ridiculous degree of back phrasing in that Dolores Gray performance of FOLLIES is even more egregious, if possible, than the ridiculous degree of back-phrasing when Polly Bergen did it. Both of them effectively destroyed the song. Their musical directors should have said to them, "I'm sorry, but if you cannot sing this song as written, we're going to have to make a casting change."

by Anonymousreply 548March 11, 2023 9:24 PM

[r548] what’s funny is I think that DL gave Paul Ford WOULD say that to someone

by Anonymousreply 549March 11, 2023 9:49 PM

Polly's version isn't too back phrased, or too slow.

Incidentally, Elaine Paige really ruined the song in the KC engagement. But somebody (Sondheim?) coached her before Broadway not to backphrase so much, and it was vastly improved in New York.

by Anonymousreply 550March 11, 2023 10:01 PM

[quote]Polly's version isn't too back phrased, or too slow.

In my opinion, it definitely is/was, though not quite so egregiously as Dolores Gray's.

by Anonymousreply 551March 11, 2023 10:44 PM

[quote]What’s funny is I think that DL gave Paul Ford WOULD say that to someone

I'm guessing that was supposed to be "Dl fave." Anyway, I am not Paul Ford, but I stand by my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 552March 11, 2023 10:45 PM

Grosses for the week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 553March 11, 2023 11:21 PM

" A Doll's House" opening night celebs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 554March 11, 2023 11:24 PM

This is the Best Revival?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 555March 11, 2023 11:29 PM

why are you you queens reading this when you should be watching [italic] this ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 556March 11, 2023 11:52 PM

PS dropped tonight on the anniversary of the scrabble concert. Audio of lots of cut songs. Gay heaven

Just heard Len cariou sing marry me a little better than anyone since

by Anonymousreply 557March 12, 2023 12:05 AM

So, Mr.Rodgers had "enthusiasm and admiration" for Steve's...lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 558March 12, 2023 12:28 AM

Knock yourself out...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 559March 12, 2023 2:06 AM

PS? What?

by Anonymousreply 560March 12, 2023 2:21 AM

[r557] what is PS and where is this audio?

by Anonymousreply 561March 12, 2023 2:38 AM

It’s the link posted at r556, which includes unreleased material from the Scrabble concert.

by Anonymousreply 562March 12, 2023 2:39 AM

I have a bootleg of the entire Scrabble concert. Got it years ago, but from where? Don't remember.

by Anonymousreply 563March 12, 2023 2:46 AM

P.S. your cat is dead

by Anonymousreply 564March 12, 2023 2:53 AM

Where did you leave you shoes? Don’t remember. Did you take your pills? Don’t remember.

Do you remember tress? Bare as coatracks?

by Anonymousreply 565March 12, 2023 2:53 AM

What does PS mean? Don’t remember

by Anonymousreply 566March 12, 2023 2:54 AM

How to be a religious Christian without hate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 567March 12, 2023 3:08 AM

Sing X 3

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 568March 12, 2023 3:57 AM

Pacific Overtures at Signature Theater is excellent. See it if you can!

by Anonymousreply 569March 12, 2023 10:26 AM

“Sing X 3”? Is that what your friends Bobby and Annie called it?

by Anonymousreply 570March 12, 2023 12:04 PM

Where Silicon Valley meets Tin Pan Alley...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 571March 12, 2023 12:36 PM

Signature in VA?

by Anonymousreply 572March 12, 2023 12:41 PM

Spring has (almost) sprung...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 573March 12, 2023 1:08 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 574March 12, 2023 1:26 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 575March 12, 2023 1:28 PM

Liza in a hurry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 576March 12, 2023 1:32 PM

Last night's performance of Parade was cancelled, due to technical issues with the projections.

by Anonymousreply 577March 12, 2023 1:36 PM

It's Oscar night, theatre peeps.

Who are you wearing?

by Anonymousreply 578March 12, 2023 1:37 PM

I’m getting a bit bored with the “play goes wrong” productions. The first one was funny but that shtick gets boring very quickly.

by Anonymousreply 579March 12, 2023 1:37 PM

Some title suggestions for the next TG thread:

The Thread Goes Wrong

Spring Has (Almost) Sprung

Time to Get SHUCKED

Before the PARADE Passes By

by Anonymousreply 580March 12, 2023 1:43 PM

Signature on 42nd Street is doing Pacific Overtures

by Anonymousreply 581March 12, 2023 1:48 PM

No, they aren't.

Signature in Virginia is doing Pacific Overtures.

by Anonymousreply 582March 12, 2023 1:52 PM

for Helen Keller at R581...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 583March 12, 2023 1:53 PM

Elaine... is that you?

by Anonymousreply 584March 12, 2023 1:54 PM

5580 day job, keep it.

by Anonymousreply 585March 12, 2023 2:04 PM

r580, your day job, keep it.

by Anonymousreply 586March 12, 2023 2:09 PM

SHUCKED!

by Anonymousreply 587March 12, 2023 3:49 PM

Director: "My God she's got on her costume for the second act."

Neely: So, I'll do the second act first."

Director: "Somebody call Mr. Merrick and get the understudy ready."

by Anonymousreply 588March 12, 2023 3:55 PM

New thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 589March 12, 2023 3:57 PM

Do Signature productions ever transfer to New York?

by Anonymousreply 590March 12, 2023 4:19 PM

Mickey Jo like The Bake Off musical. Maybe it's a British thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 591March 12, 2023 4:21 PM

Not everything needs to transfer to New York. In fact, there are some of us who don't give a fuck about the crap that's on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 592March 12, 2023 4:23 PM

I never heard about “The Red Shoes,” I never saw “The Red Shoes,” I didn't give a fuck about “The Red Shoes.

by Anonymousreply 593March 12, 2023 4:24 PM

SHUCKED is on Broadway. Why should I care? From what I heard, I can watch an old episode of HEE HAW and get the same thing. CAMELOT is on Broadway. Why should I care?

by Anonymousreply 594March 12, 2023 4:28 PM

[quote] I never heard about “The Red Shoes,” I never saw “The Red Shoes,” I didn't give a fuck about “The Red Shoes.

I saw it. Not even Roger Rees could save that stinker.

by Anonymousreply 595March 12, 2023 4:29 PM

Jules Styne...How I dream of a new Jules Styne score...

by Anonymousreply 596March 12, 2023 4:30 PM

Noted, R592, but I was merely asking because I'd like to see it but can't swing a trip to Arlington this spring. Sorry for putting a bee in your bonnet.

by Anonymousreply 597March 12, 2023 4:30 PM

Jule Styne.

by Anonymousreply 598March 12, 2023 4:32 PM

Julie Andrews.

by Anonymousreply 599March 12, 2023 4:37 PM

Big Julie.

by Anonymousreply 600March 12, 2023 4:38 PM

[quote]I never heard about “The Red Shoes,” I never saw “The Red Shoes,” I didn't give a fuck about “The Red Shoes.

Incidentally, does anyone remember THE RED SHOE DIARIES, a '90s soft porn series on Showtime that starred David Duchovny?

by Anonymousreply 601March 12, 2023 4:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!