Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Academy ‘Conducting Review’ After Andrea Riseborough’s Surprise Oscar Nomination, Part 2

Continue discussing the surprise nomination for To Leslie and the potential reaction by the Academy board here.

by Anonymousreply 386February 11, 2023 3:12 PM

When do we expect results of today's meeting?

by Anonymousreply 1January 31, 2023 7:05 PM

What does Faye Dunaway think?

by Anonymousreply 2January 31, 2023 7:13 PM

I'm not sure we know the specific time of the meeting, which makes predicting the results difficult. I do think they'll announce a decision shortly after the meeting ends.

by Anonymousreply 3January 31, 2023 7:14 PM

Why are they bothering to investigate this nonsense, when for many years they totally ignored my more serious charges of BLATANT CATEGORY FRAUD????

by Anonymousreply 4January 31, 2023 7:17 PM

Ana's nomination is what they should be investigating

by Anonymousreply 5January 31, 2023 7:18 PM

Thanks OP

by Anonymousreply 6January 31, 2023 7:20 PM

I have no idea how old the girl is, r599, and I don't care nor do I care how you, personally, feel about my English language usage.

by Anonymousreply 7January 31, 2023 7:22 PM

Jada's testimony is about to begin.

by Anonymousreply 8January 31, 2023 7:22 PM

Nothing against this Andrea chick but it's strange that in a year of so many great leading performances by black females that not one was nominated. And to nominated Ana, Michelle W. over Viola? What disrespect.

by Anonymousreply 9January 31, 2023 7:22 PM

Michelle Williams is nominated?

by Anonymousreply 10January 31, 2023 7:25 PM

R8 how do you know this? And where is this investigation taking place?

by Anonymousreply 11January 31, 2023 7:25 PM

That clip (except for the profanity) looked like a tv movie that Elizabeth Montgomery would have done well with in the 1970's.

by Anonymousreply 12January 31, 2023 7:26 PM

R9, The rules state the five performers with the most votes become the nominees. Period. Full stop.

by Anonymousreply 13January 31, 2023 7:27 PM

R13, dummy yes I am aware. Fucking And?

by Anonymousreply 14January 31, 2023 7:30 PM

[QUOTE] Nothing against this Andrea chick but it's strange that in a year of so many great leading performances by black females that not one was nominated. And to nominated Ana, Michelle W. over Viola? What disrespect.

What is strange about it? Voters chose other actors over Viola and Danielle. This happens every year. Where was the outrage when Lady Gaga was snubbed? Did you also

What is strange to me is that in a year when the most Asian performers ever were nominated for acting in the Academy’s history, there are people trying to re-trend #OscarsSoWhite. I suppose Asian actors don’t count.

What about Brian Tyree Henry’s surprise supporting nomination (which was well-deserved)? Is Angela Basset, the front runner for Best Supporting Actress, suddenly not black?

It’s fucking ridiculous. Viola Davis not receding an annual filler nod is not a hate crime.

by Anonymousreply 15January 31, 2023 7:32 PM

r14 You were claiming the black actresses were disrespected in favor of Andrea Riseborough.

by Anonymousreply 16January 31, 2023 7:32 PM

Obviously, Viola Davis didn't host enough meet and greets this year to schmooze her way to a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 17January 31, 2023 7:35 PM

[QUOTE] That clip (except for the profanity) looked like a tv movie that Elizabeth Montgomery would have done well with in the 1970's.

Hi, Jada!

by Anonymousreply 18January 31, 2023 7:38 PM

It does seem like social media would be more useful in securing nominations rather than a few cocktail parties only a limited number can attend.

by Anonymousreply 19January 31, 2023 7:39 PM

Michelle Ywoh will not win. Cate Blanchett already has her third Oscar waiting for her to pick up.

by Anonymousreply 20January 31, 2023 7:40 PM

The better question is why it has taken so long for members to utilize the far reach of social media.

by Anonymousreply 21January 31, 2023 7:40 PM

Oscar bait can be black as much as white. And Till and Woman King were both Oscar bait as much as a Marilyn biopic or a #metoo lesbian. Just more obvious.

by Anonymousreply 22January 31, 2023 7:42 PM

Allowed: zillion-dollar billboards and "For Your Consideration" ads that pump up the trades

Not allowed: "Come over and watch this movie with us"

Ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 23January 31, 2023 7:44 PM

Funny thing is... Riseborough would have likely lost. Because of the current brouhaha, she could damn well win.

by Anonymousreply 24January 31, 2023 7:51 PM

I hope she does win. It would serve them right, all those pigs at the trough.

by Anonymousreply 25January 31, 2023 7:58 PM

The lush ladies of Hollywood made their bed, now they should lie in it.

To drag one of their own through mud after collectively hoisting her would be fantastic cuntery.

Will there be an exposé of everyone else involved? How did, say, Cate Blanchett fall so hard for this? Is it a performance that just can’t be ignored?

by Anonymousreply 26January 31, 2023 7:59 PM

Anytime Viola Davis isn’t nominated it’s a crime against humanity!

by Anonymousreply 27January 31, 2023 8:02 PM

Do we even know for sure if Viola Davis, or any other Black actress for that matter, was the 6th highest vote getter in the category?

by Anonymousreply 28January 31, 2023 8:10 PM

[quote]What does Faye Dunaway think?

"I could've played that part!"

by Anonymousreply 29January 31, 2023 8:15 PM

[quote]Ana's nomination is what they should be investigating

Seriously. Shit actress in a shit movie.

by Anonymousreply 30January 31, 2023 8:16 PM

r29. Oh Faye, you and I both know you would be nowhere near a film with a $27 thousand budget. You are destined for much bigger things.

by Anonymousreply 31January 31, 2023 8:17 PM

R31 $27k wouldn't even cover Faye's wig and salad budget.

by Anonymousreply 32January 31, 2023 8:19 PM

BEARKING just now!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 31, 2023 8:20 PM

To summarize R33, Riseborough's nomination will not be rescinded. There will be rules changes announced after this year's Oscars, and the Academy board will deal with the concerning behavior on social media with those parties directly (which probably means Frances Fisher gets a private reprimand).

by Anonymousreply 34January 31, 2023 8:23 PM

Andrea will win now.

by Anonymousreply 35January 31, 2023 8:25 PM

Has Viola released a statement yet?

by Anonymousreply 36January 31, 2023 8:32 PM

I think she just might, R35. She will probably get a good number of grievance votes, such as Paul Schraeder's.

by Anonymousreply 37January 31, 2023 8:32 PM

I would LOVE if she won. Just to see their face

by Anonymousreply 38January 31, 2023 8:34 PM

Listen, I recognize and agree that people of color, including Blacks and African Americans, Asians, Native Americans, Latinos and Hispanics, and persons of other races or that are multiracial, have long and often been systematically abused and discriminated against, overlooked and disregarded, but THIS—maligning Andrea Riseborough for earning a fucking Oscar nomination, which is based on subjectivity—is fucking ridiculous. The fact that she’s more than deserving of the nod and, some might argue, award makes all of this doubly disturbing, egregious, and infuriating. She can not be blamed for years—hell, EPOCHS—of racism and discrimination, nor should her nomination be chalked up to “white privilege,” however real that privilege may be. And attempts to do either are wholly disingenuous and reek of perceived vested interests bordering on delusional and the proverbial sour grapes.

How about a majority of her voting peers preferred her over some of the other fucking actresses in contention? Enough!

by Anonymousreply 39January 31, 2023 8:36 PM

If kstew was able to get a nom with her horrible of horrible so called acting in Spencer, then Andrea who is so muuch better at this than kstew, deserves a nomination

by Anonymousreply 40January 31, 2023 8:37 PM

How the hell is this even an issue? Millions of dollars of consideration campaigns are fine, but asking your colleagues to post on social media deserves an investigation? How fucking elitist.

Are they going to retroactively investigate Diane Ladd for cooking dinners for Academy members in 1990 now?

by Anonymousreply 41January 31, 2023 8:37 PM

R39 - Jennifer Anniston

by Anonymousreply 42January 31, 2023 8:38 PM

I think if Cate Blanchett was going to win now Andrea will win. I think if Michelle Yeoh was going to win then Yeoh will still win. Which is to say I think enough Blanchett voters might switch to Andrea but not so many Yeoh voters will switch. If that makes sense. Maybe if Deadwyler or Davis had gotten in they would've stolen some of Yeoh's votes though, and she'll benefit from bing the only non-white acting nominee.

by Anonymousreply 43January 31, 2023 8:38 PM

Looks like Frances Fisher is going to get her pee pee whacked.

by Anonymousreply 44January 31, 2023 8:39 PM

Does someone have a brief explanation for what Riseborough is alleged to have done that was so out of line?

It's not clear to me except that it has something to do with the internet.

by Anonymousreply 45January 31, 2023 8:40 PM

Cate Blanchett screwed up her chances of a third Oscar by falling for this stunt and trying to be woke

by Anonymousreply 46January 31, 2023 8:42 PM

You people are putting way too much stock into how academy voters love diversity votes. Again, Michelle Yeoh does not have half the sob story of dead Chadwick Boseman and he still lost to the superior performance, despite other nominations of critically acclaimed nonwhite guys like Riz Ahmed and Steven Yeun.

by Anonymousreply 47January 31, 2023 8:42 PM

R45 She got nominated outside the usual expensive channels (billboards, ads in the trades, hosting meet and greets) of getting nominated.

by Anonymousreply 48January 31, 2023 8:45 PM

You fags did NOTHING after my snub. No campaign. No Twitter tears. No unfettered outrage.

NOTHING.

And after all I've done for you?

Ingrates.

by Anonymousreply 49January 31, 2023 8:45 PM

I admit I’m behind thish controvershy! Fuck riseshborough

by Anonymousreply 50January 31, 2023 8:46 PM

Was Cate Blanchett the most vocal in praising Andrea? Did she not think Andrea would ever get nominated and compete against her? When Andrea wins , Cate will look like a moron

by Anonymousreply 51January 31, 2023 8:46 PM

R45 and R48 And not spending that kind of money and still scoring a nomination pissed a lot of people off.

by Anonymousreply 52January 31, 2023 8:49 PM

But what is there about "going outside the billboards and trade publications for the nomination" that is against the rules of the Academy requiring some sort of "action" from them about it?

Are they just pretending she did something wrong because they were surprised?

by Anonymousreply 53January 31, 2023 8:53 PM

R53 Basically.

by Anonymousreply 54January 31, 2023 8:53 PM

This year is ripe for some slapping

by Anonymousreply 55January 31, 2023 8:54 PM

And to think I hosted over100 members of the academy to free lunch at Golden Corral and I still didn't get a damn nomination!

by Anonymousreply 56January 31, 2023 9:00 PM

R56 Viola, but you only sprang for the buffet. If we'd have gotten steak, you'd have gotten your nomination.

by Anonymousreply 57January 31, 2023 9:02 PM

[R31] Viola Davis did indeed release a one-word statement after the decision was made. Though many thought the one-word statement would be "Congratulations !", the one-word statement was "Fuck!"

As for Faye Dunaway, a budget of $27,000 wouldn't even cover the salary of the little homosexual boy she needs for her assistant.

by Anonymousreply 58January 31, 2023 9:04 PM

Why do you all assume that Viola, Jada or anyone black had anything to do with this??

by Anonymousreply 59January 31, 2023 9:05 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60January 31, 2023 9:06 PM

That article at R60 pretty much tells you that all white currenlty popular middle aged actresses were campaigning for AR except Julia Roberts and Sandra Bullock

by Anonymousreply 61January 31, 2023 9:10 PM

For those who think that this means Riseborough can win, remember that only the nomination stage is over, and campaigning for the win still costs money that the producers and distributors behind To Leslie just don't have. They can't rely on the likes of Frances Fisher sending tweets, and the preferential ballot that made it possible for Riseborough to be nominated with fewer than 300 people seeing her movie and voting for her doesn't come into play anymore.

Now the entire membership of the Academy has to see her performance, and the cinematographers, sound editors and the like haven't, and beyond contrarians like Paul Schrader, there's no guarantee they will just because of the controversy.

If Riseborough campaigns, it'll be on her own dime, and it may not even be possible. Because she didn't plan for an awards campaign, she may have prior commitments. And even if she has the time, I doubt she has the hustle of a Chastain or a Redmayne to work the circuit, and that's probably required for her to have even a fighting chance.

Riseborough has an underdog narrative, and that worked with CODA last year -- because they also had Apple money.

by Anonymousreply 62January 31, 2023 9:12 PM

That skinny white bitch is going down! This ain't over!

by Anonymousreply 63January 31, 2023 9:12 PM

R62 What about the free earned media this controversy has generated? And that didn't cost her a damn cent!

by Anonymousreply 64January 31, 2023 9:14 PM

r62, let’s not lose sight of the fact that Andrea co-starred with the biggest Oscar vote campaigning ho of all time and that’s Allison Janey. Allison’s probably giving Andrea her cookie recipe even as we post. I lost all respect for that boney old Amazon when she stole that vote from the far deserving Laurie Metcalf.

by Anonymousreply 65January 31, 2023 9:17 PM

There’s only 2 televised pre Oscar awards left right? I don’t think she will win, but I don’t think she’s going to need to campaign too much since this got her millions in free publicity and will pique the attention of voters who thought they had their minds made up.

Blanchett and Yeoh are still the top 2 I think but blanchett isn’t all that into campaigning and is doing it for the film and for Todd field.

by Anonymousreply 66January 31, 2023 9:29 PM

[R62] I disagree with you. All the money in the world simply can not buy the free publicity this controversy has generated for Andrea R. There will be a mention of this every day from now until the minute the Award is given on stage - via the media, social media platforms, in-person conversations at galas and luncheons...no studio can buy that kind of buzz. Those who never saw this movie will have seen it before voting. She will win.

by Anonymousreply 67January 31, 2023 9:30 PM

R42 No, I’m a person much like those of whom I speak—i.e., of color, liberal, progressive, “woke,” if you will, although I’m beginning to question that last descriptor—and I find the greatest offenders in this fiasco to be those chastising and calling for Riseborough’s disqualification. Frankly, it’s a gross display of…I don’t even know what the fuck to call it because wokeness, or awareness, it fucking ain’t!

by Anonymousreply 68January 31, 2023 9:32 PM

What this whole thing boils down to is that a bunch of performers got their butts hurt because their pet stars didn't get nominated.

by Anonymousreply 69January 31, 2023 9:35 PM

"The purpose of the Academy’s campaign regulations is to ensure a fair and ethical awards process — these are core values of the Academy. Given this review, it is apparent that components of the regulations must be clarified to help create a better framework for respectful, inclusive and unbiased campaigning. These changes will be made after this awards cycle and will be shared with our membership. The Academy strives to create an environment where votes are based solely on the artistic and technical merits of the eligible films and achievements,” he concluded"

Campaigning for Oscars has always been a money game, more or less funded by the studios and producers. As in business advertising, social media have reconfigured this playing field to some extent, and a low or no budget campaign cleverly conducted through SM worked for Riseborough. The notion that votes have been "based solely on artistic merits" is laughable because it factors out the big money (spent and potentially made) campaigning for nominations. If they were serious, they would have implemented strict campaign spending limits, or simply have said no campaigning is allowed and left it to the members to figure out whom they want to vote for.

The linked article discusses how much money is involved

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70January 31, 2023 9:36 PM

[quote] Again, Michelle Yeoh does not have half the sob story of dead Chadwick Boseman and he still lost to the superior performance…

R47 I hate to break it to you, but in this case, Yeoh’s IS the superior performance. As much as I love Blanchett—her performance in and win for Blue Jasmine are among my favorites—and as brilliant as she is in Tar, she still seemed to have a subtle case of the click-click-clicks. Yeoh’s performance, on the other hand, is as raw, organic, unpretentious, and fully-realized as a gut punch—and as impactful, too. Her action and comedic bits are the dazzling and soothing relief afterward.

by Anonymousreply 71January 31, 2023 9:44 PM

R66 you think Cate Blanchett doesn't want to win?

by Anonymousreply 72January 31, 2023 9:45 PM

Completely agree R71. Blanchett was performing a character but Yeoh was fully inhabiting one.

by Anonymousreply 73January 31, 2023 9:48 PM

R71 Everything Everywhere All At Once was a piece of shit movie for 12 year olds, basically a marvel movie without the name attached. Yeoh is passable but it’s laughable it was nominated for so many acting awards. Blanchett created a fleshed out, complex character. Tar will be a classic for years to come.

by Anonymousreply 74January 31, 2023 9:48 PM

All the Blanchett backlash is a classic case of either teenage frau invasion from deuxmoi or tall poppy syndrome. She’s incredible in TAR, which is a much better movie than EEAO.

by Anonymousreply 75January 31, 2023 9:50 PM

R74 Blanchett created a walking meme. She’s done better. Yeoh was far superior.

by Anonymousreply 76January 31, 2023 9:50 PM

I literally cannot remember the last time I watched the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 77January 31, 2023 9:53 PM

R77, I literally condole you.

by Anonymousreply 78January 31, 2023 9:54 PM

Fluh-MANGO? Noooo. Tarantula was the name of it. I stayed at a hotel called the Tarantula Arms.

by Anonymousreply 79January 31, 2023 9:54 PM

What is wrong with people like R77 who feel compelled to come into threads about things that don't interest them and state just how much they don't care?

Do they not realize just how boring that is?

by Anonymousreply 80January 31, 2023 9:58 PM

I don't get it. Studios and actors use all sorts of politicking, influencing and shady tactics to get a nomination or a win so what did she do that was any worse?

by Anonymousreply 81January 31, 2023 9:58 PM

[quote]Do they not realize just how boring that is?

Not nearly as boring as the Oscars have become.

by Anonymousreply 82January 31, 2023 9:59 PM

If JLC wins over Bassett, I imagine there will be even more backlash

by Anonymousreply 83January 31, 2023 10:03 PM

If you think Will Smith's slap at last year's Oscars was a show-stopper, wait till you witness this coup when the best actress is announced this year. Buckle up. When in for a long, long drive.

by Anonymousreply 84January 31, 2023 10:04 PM

R81, from what I can figure out Riseborough hasn't violated any rules or done anything against the Academy's regulations. She used a vote-getting tactic that the rest of them hadn't thought of yet and they freaked out about it when it worked.

Were people objecting to this when she was actually doing it or did they just go mental when she won a nomination?

by Anonymousreply 85January 31, 2023 10:05 PM

R85 Where is the evidence that she explicitly asked her peers to promote her film and campaign for her?

by Anonymousreply 86January 31, 2023 10:08 PM

R85, it wasn't even that Riseborough used the tactic. People did it on her behalf (mainly the director of To Leslie, his wife Mary McCormack, and Frances Fisher). There's no public evidence that Riseborough campaigned for herself.

People didn't really object when the campaign happened because it didn't seem like it could work.

by Anonymousreply 87January 31, 2023 10:11 PM

[quote] There's no public evidence that Riseborough campaigned for herself.

Precisely, which is why the backlash aimed specifically at her is so unhinged.

by Anonymousreply 88January 31, 2023 10:13 PM

The last Oscars telecast I watched from beginning to end was in 1998, the year Titanic swept.

by Anonymousreply 89January 31, 2023 10:13 PM

Thank you, r88, it figures that nobody bothered complaining until it worked.

Interesting that she's getting all the shit for it when it was the director, his wife and a different actress who actually engaged in the campaign.

by Anonymousreply 90January 31, 2023 10:15 PM

Sally Kirkland in Anna, Diane Ladd in Wild At Heart, Hector Elizondo in Pretty Woman, Melissa Leo in The Fighter and Ann Dowd in Compliance all paid for their own screeners and ads in the trade papers. How is this that much different?

by Anonymousreply 91January 31, 2023 10:16 PM

My comment/thanks were meant for R87.

by Anonymousreply 92January 31, 2023 10:17 PM

[quote]it wasn't even that Riseborough used the tactic. People did it on her behalf (mainly the director of To Leslie, his wife Mary McCormack, and Frances Fisher). There's no public evidence that Riseborough campaigned for herself.

From what I was just reading on Deadline, the people who are objecting to the nomination cite Frances Fisher's tweet in which she specifically instructed voters to give their support to Riseborough and NOT to vote for the people who were considered "locks" like Deadwyler, Davis, etc. Maybe if she hadn't done that, it wouldn't be as big a controversy. But you're correct that it doesn't appear Riseborough herself did anything wrong.

by Anonymousreply 93January 31, 2023 10:21 PM

Who knew that Frances Fisher had such influence through a single tweet????

by Anonymousreply 94January 31, 2023 10:21 PM

Frances Fisher may have gotten herself banned from all academy events for a while.

by Anonymousreply 95January 31, 2023 10:25 PM

Andrea Riseborough IS Cate Blanchett in [italic]Blanchett on Blanchett[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 96January 31, 2023 10:29 PM

Follow the money and the advertising strategies.

Studios and agents pay the trades and local LA outdoor advertising companies to promote their FYC candidates. Someone uses social- and influencer-amplified word-of-mouth to circumvent the money train, and succeeds beyond all expectations.

The trades, used to getting the money on the commercial side, are freaked out so they weaponize #oscarssowhite on the editorial side to make this an culture war issue they might win, ostensibly to stamp out social and influencer campaigning before it destroys their massive yearly revenue stream (as Craigslist/Facebook Marketplace permanently disrupted traditional newspaper classifieds - why your local newspaper either sucks or doesn't exist anymore).

The black campaigners are being played, useful idiots who performed on cue in this higher-stakes battle between traditional and performance marketing in the entertainment industry. This isn't about black nominees, it's about preserving the media spend status quo, and it has failed. Expect studios to redeploy a portion of their social/influencer marketers from B2C (opening a picture and building momentum) to B2B (awards campaigning). I would.

by Anonymousreply 97January 31, 2023 10:37 PM

I hate addiction movies. I still regret paying actual money to see the obnoxious Mary Elizabeth Winstead in Smashed.

by Anonymousreply 98January 31, 2023 10:42 PM

So all this uproar is because social media was used? What century does the Academy think we're living in?

by Anonymousreply 99January 31, 2023 11:00 PM

Bottom line, r99. Nobody makes any money when social media is utilized. Businesses benefit when people pay for billboards, trade mag ads, and big cocktail parties.

by Anonymousreply 100January 31, 2023 11:02 PM

Blanchett gave a shout out to a whole list of women , not only AR

by Anonymousreply 101January 31, 2023 11:25 PM

A long overdue victory for white women and their white friends!

by Anonymousreply 102January 31, 2023 11:27 PM

Why make it about race?

by Anonymousreply 103January 31, 2023 11:28 PM

Is it coincidence that there is now a video of Cate Blanchett making the social media rounds, where she mentions Viola, Deasdwyler ,Yeoh , Hathaway, TangWei? Who is that btw

She doesn't mention Williams or Armas.

by Anonymousreply 104January 31, 2023 11:34 PM

R103 Because some people’s bandwidth can reach but so far.

R97 Assessment is astute and, quite frankly, a turn on… I read their post again and envisioned a big-dicked daddy top teaching me the ways and whims of Hollywood and trades campaigning.

by Anonymousreply 105January 31, 2023 11:39 PM

Tang Wei starred in Decision to Leave and was quite good in it. I would have nominated her over most of the women who earned Best Actress nominations this year.

by Anonymousreply 106January 31, 2023 11:39 PM

[quote] Is it coincidence that there is now a video of Cate Blanchett making the social media rounds,

The sinister overlords who control social media must be doing this with one purpose in mind!

by Anonymousreply 107January 31, 2023 11:46 PM

Everyone is making social media rounds. It’s awards season.

by Anonymousreply 108January 31, 2023 11:47 PM

I never got a response why you guys believe the black actresses had a hand in this so called investigation? Is there concrete proof or you all just enjoy hating on black women?

by Anonymousreply 109January 31, 2023 11:54 PM

"beyond contrarians like Paul Schrader"

Why contrarian, R62? He said he would be voting for her. Who should he vote for--Blanchett or Yeoh?

A lot of what you say is probably true, but it also sounds like you're down on Riseborough.

by Anonymousreply 110February 1, 2023 12:09 AM

R109 using the non-expression “hating on” isn’t likely to guarantee any responses.

by Anonymousreply 111February 1, 2023 12:18 AM

R87, the article linked above mentioned that Riseborough's manager and publicist were a part of the campaigning, so by extension, then, so was she.

by Anonymousreply 112February 1, 2023 12:20 AM

Biggest Publicity Whore?

I OWN that title, cunts!

by Anonymousreply 113February 1, 2023 12:22 AM

Are the blacks going to boycott the Oscars again this year?

by Anonymousreply 114February 1, 2023 12:39 AM

Don't be ridiculous, R114!

by Anonymousreply 115February 1, 2023 12:45 AM

Who keeps saying Cate will win? She’s tainted by the whole thing as a privileged white woman.

by Anonymousreply 116February 1, 2023 12:47 AM

I will no longer be in attendance at this year's ceremony.

by Anonymousreply 117February 1, 2023 12:49 AM

The winners will be 1 black, 2 Asian, and 1 whale.

by Anonymousreply 118February 1, 2023 12:52 AM

R116=too stupid for words

by Anonymousreply 119February 1, 2023 12:56 AM

What if Cate and Andrea tie?

by Anonymousreply 120February 1, 2023 12:57 AM

Then the Oscar automatically goes to Meryl, R120. It's in the Academy by-laws.

by Anonymousreply 121February 1, 2023 12:58 AM

R120 then they both take home an Oscar. It happened in 1969 with Streisand ("Funny Girl") and Hepburn ("Lion in Winter").

by Anonymousreply 122February 1, 2023 1:56 AM

More and more, Bassett is sitting pretty. All this drama solidifies her as the 1 black actor who will win. They practically have to give it her.

by Anonymousreply 123February 1, 2023 2:04 AM

R123 Yes, they will save the 'Best Supporting Actress' for the very end, and she will go home empty handed. (Think back to 'Best Actor' with Chadwick B - they practically had to give it to him).

by Anonymousreply 124February 1, 2023 2:10 AM

^They do have the option of two Asians and an intersex in the category though.

by Anonymousreply 125February 1, 2023 2:23 AM

How would Cate ever look herself in the mirror if she took an award away from an Asian? She should sit this one out.

by Anonymousreply 126February 1, 2023 2:45 AM

Can someone explain the title “To Leslie”?

by Anonymousreply 127February 1, 2023 3:11 AM

I just watched Tar and it's a ridiculous movie

by Anonymousreply 128February 1, 2023 3:34 AM

[quote]r2 What does Faye Dunaway think?

[italic]LA LA LAND!

by Anonymousreply 129February 1, 2023 3:37 AM

Was Cate playing herself in that movie?

by Anonymousreply 130February 1, 2023 3:37 AM

Cate's had enough

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131February 1, 2023 3:40 AM

Hallelujah!^^ she is exhausting

by Anonymousreply 132February 1, 2023 3:41 AM

Surprised Cate is uncomfortable with wokness when she seems to be one of the most woke of these white actresses

by Anonymousreply 133February 1, 2023 3:43 AM

This article @ r131 is poorly written trash

by Anonymousreply 134February 1, 2023 3:45 AM

which makes it ideal reading material for DL R134

by Anonymousreply 135February 1, 2023 3:48 AM

[quote]r62 If Riseborough campaigns, it'll be on her own dime, and it may not even be possible.

It would be so funny if Blanchett now gave her a blank check to fund further campaigning.

Hollywood would have a MELTDOWN.

by Anonymousreply 136February 1, 2023 3:51 AM

I read the article in the Hollywood Reporter. Isn't this exactly how nominations SHOULD happen? Other actors finding a performance that they go gaga over and then telling their friends who tell their friends who tell their friends.

Isn't that also how we all decide to read a book or watch a show? I watched The Last of Us strictly because of the DL. I even waited to see how you homos reacted before I dug in. Overall, you guys loved it. So I watched. Doesn't mean I will love it, but it's why I tuned in. Turns out? I love it! So I told a bunch of my friends. Rinse repeat.

I'd much have had word of mouth from other actors decide the noms than studio heads or paid off reviewers.

by Anonymousreply 137February 1, 2023 3:52 AM

[quote]R68 I find the greatest offenders in this fiasco to be those calling for Riseborough’s disqualification.

And who did that?

by Anonymousreply 138February 1, 2023 3:53 AM

R131 But Cate's face is FINALLY just beginning to morph, distort, puff up and harden into that perfect Hollywood plastic Joker face, so she can't quit acting now!

by Anonymousreply 139February 1, 2023 3:58 AM

Is she getting ready to do "The Joan Rivers Story"?

by Anonymousreply 140February 1, 2023 4:03 AM

Just like her fellow Aussie, wax figure Kidman, Cate really fucked up her face. Why do these women do that to themselves??

by Anonymousreply 141February 1, 2023 4:16 AM

That story should say, “Cate, a staunch Republican, is fed up with …”

by Anonymousreply 142February 1, 2023 4:29 AM

Promises, Promises. Goodbye Cate!

by Anonymousreply 143February 1, 2023 4:31 AM

I wonder who is behind this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144February 1, 2023 4:39 AM

I won't spoil anything but the last scene with Leslie and Alison Janney had me tearing up. Beautifully acted.

by Anonymousreply 145February 1, 2023 5:59 AM

Radar Online? Really? Why not the Daily Mail next?

by Anonymousreply 146February 1, 2023 6:36 AM

How so, R128?

by Anonymousreply 147February 1, 2023 7:44 AM

R128 = Michelle Yeoh

by Anonymousreply 148February 1, 2023 12:31 PM

Wasn’t there an article about Cate being at David Cameron or some other right wing European leader’s inauguration party or something? I seem to recall that she is right leaning in politics.

by Anonymousreply 149February 1, 2023 12:58 PM

I finf that rather hard to believe she leans right, R149.

by Anonymousreply 150February 1, 2023 1:04 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151February 1, 2023 1:07 PM

Tar was so much more innovative and life-affirming than Everything Everywhere All At Once, was it not? I mean, I’ve never seen [italic]anything[/italic] like what Todd Field and Cate Blanchett merged to create; it was staggeringly fresh and original.

On the other hand, Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinhert, Michelle Yeoh et al. produced a tale so pallid and formulaic—something we’ve seen many times before—it barely held my attention.

by Anonymousreply 152February 1, 2023 1:08 PM

The above article from the Daily Mail (sorry) says she's big on climate change and asylum seekers, so not right wing.

by Anonymousreply 153February 1, 2023 1:08 PM

[quote]Nobody makes any money when social media is utilized.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154February 1, 2023 1:08 PM

R152, of all the things one might be able to walk away from with "Tar," life affirmation was not one of them. Nor did I find it innovative, unless you consider putting the front credits in the back and the back credits as title credits innovative. I didn't like either "Tar" or "EEAAO," or either performance, in particular. They both seemed hammy to me, with Blanchett edging out Yeoh in the overacting category, but just barely.

The best movie I've seen so far from last year was a documentary: "All The Beauty and the Bloodshed." There was a movie that had real empathy and life affirmation, as well as righteous anger.

by Anonymousreply 155February 1, 2023 1:33 PM

R155 It was sarcasm, love, but I respect your opinion.

by Anonymousreply 156February 1, 2023 1:45 PM

Ah, R156. You had me until I reread your remarks about EEAAO as "formulaic."

by Anonymousreply 157February 1, 2023 1:49 PM

r154 you're right. I should have said social media doesn't cost anything to use.

by Anonymousreply 158February 1, 2023 1:52 PM

R151, so her kids are republican then? When did Cate have a daughter? Is that her son's kid?

by Anonymousreply 159February 1, 2023 1:56 PM

No, R159.They roll their eyes at their mother because she's their mom preaching at them, not because they're Republicans. Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 160February 1, 2023 1:57 PM

R150, Do tell why is it so hard to believe that a rich white woman leans to the right in her poltical views?

by Anonymousreply 161February 1, 2023 1:58 PM

R161, did you see the Daily Mail article upthread that says Blanchett is "passionate" about climate change and the rights of asylum seekers? Does that sound like right wing to you? Those issues are just as much the cause of a rich white person as her polar opposite, you do realize?

by Anonymousreply 162February 1, 2023 2:01 PM

R110, contrarian was the most polite way I could describe Schrader, who has done some amazing work as both a screenwriter and a director, but is also a bit of a crank. That's not because his support for Riseborough, that's just his reputation and even he knows it. He's acknowledged how studio publicists demanded he deactivate his social media before the release of his movies, which means that he is a fantastic celebrity to follow but definitely not a person whose opinion represents mainstream Academy taste all that often.

I do support Riseborough's nomination based on her performance in To Leslie, but I don't think she has much of a shot at winning and find a lot of the arguments for her to be silly and delusional. Ultimately, I think this is the type of story that riles up Oscar pundits and Film Twitter for a week or two, but won't matter all that much to most Academy members, who ultimately won't care all that much about the symbolism of Riseborough's nomination either way when they finally cast their vote.

by Anonymousreply 163February 1, 2023 2:37 PM

How much of the support from Winslet and Theron is to make sure Blanchett doesn't get to 3 before they get to 2?

by Anonymousreply 164February 1, 2023 2:48 PM

No R159 she adopted the daughter, but not from an African Baby Catalogue

by Anonymousreply 165February 1, 2023 3:16 PM

"not from an African Baby Catalogue"

Well color me shocked R165, I was just thinking how strong is this kid's Nigerian features. Now look at me with egg on my face

by Anonymousreply 166February 1, 2023 3:48 PM

To Leslie was not THAT great . Her performance was average,not oscar worthy.

by Anonymousreply 167February 1, 2023 4:03 PM

R167 = Viola

by Anonymousreply 168February 1, 2023 4:07 PM

It's a good thing she ordered from the white baby catalogue because Cate Blanchett doesn't look like someone who would know what to do with a black baby anyways

by Anonymousreply 169February 1, 2023 4:07 PM

"anyways"

Oh, dear, R169.

It's "anyway."

by Anonymousreply 170February 1, 2023 4:20 PM

Excuse my beauty.

by Anonymousreply 171February 1, 2023 4:31 PM

R164 you do realise that Cate too was advocating for Andrea to get recognized for her work in To Leslie, right?

by Anonymousreply 172February 1, 2023 5:20 PM

Whomever wins the SAG award between Michelle and Cate could be very telling.

by Anonymousreply 173February 1, 2023 7:50 PM

R173, it'll only be telling if Blanchett wins, because the SAG awards are very populist and thus that award is widely expected to go to Yeoh. The same applies for BAFTA. Since most people expect Blanchett to win that award, a Yeoh upset would be really telling.

If the expected happens, this Best Actress race feels a lot like 2002, when Kidman and Zellweger won their Globe races, split BAFTA and SAG, and both were in very strong Best Picture contenders.

by Anonymousreply 174February 1, 2023 8:05 PM

The SAG is not “populist” - it’s done by mass voting blocks. EEAO is the most popular movie of the year, it’s basically a Marvel movie, so it’s for man and woman children, which sadly represents a lot of the current viewing audience. And Glenn Close won the SAG in 2018. So did Viola Davis in 2011 and 2020. And Meryl in 2008. And Julie Christie in 2007. You get my point, they more than occasionally get the actresses wrong.

The populism argument for movies annoys me anyway. The mass public has shit for brains. It’s like saying Citizen Kane lost Best Picture because How Green Was my Valley was the “populist” choice, no, it was mostly because CK had too much provocation towards the wrong group of people.

Also Cate isn’t a right winger. I don’t know why people on here keep trying to smear her. Most celebrities are in practice political moderates, even the ones who pay lip service to left wing social justice shit.

by Anonymousreply 175February 1, 2023 8:29 PM

R175 re Cate being right wing: there are rumours all over the internet that she is. This is not a rumour singular to the DL.

by Anonymousreply 176February 1, 2023 8:39 PM

R175 "Smear her "? Oh Mary!!!

'Social justice shit ' Oh dear!

by Anonymousreply 177February 1, 2023 8:40 PM

Over 100 thousand member vote for SAG Awards. 90% of which barely work a time or two a year in a commercial. They're not exactly the the most reliable to choose quality. They many times choose popular actors.

by Anonymousreply 178February 1, 2023 10:02 PM

Meryl is behind all of this to keep Cate from getting a third.

by Anonymousreply 179February 1, 2023 10:16 PM

Very unlikely R179

by Anonymousreply 180February 1, 2023 10:19 PM

I don’t think Meryl cares.

I also don’t think BAFTA or SAG have any effect on this year’s BA race. I personally think Cate will lose because TAR is a pretentious dud that no one will watch.

by Anonymousreply 181February 1, 2023 10:22 PM

[Quote] re Cate being right wing: there are rumours all over the internet that she is. This is not a rumour singular to the DL.

Rumors R176 but anything to substantiate them?

by Anonymousreply 182February 1, 2023 10:35 PM

[quote] r176 … Julie Christie in 2007. You get my point, they more than occasionally get the actresses wrong.

Giving Ms. Christie an award is never, ever wrong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183February 1, 2023 10:42 PM

Riseborough will win.

by Anonymousreply 184February 1, 2023 10:45 PM

[quote]There's no public evidence that Riseborough campaigned for herself.

Oh well, this spoils the whole story for me. I want to see AR publicly own the grassroots campaign and her passion for the film.

by Anonymousreply 185February 1, 2023 11:06 PM

R182, yes some chick posted on Twitter that Cate had been seen partying with Murdoch and celebrating BJ election win? There was even a thread here about it.

by Anonymousreply 186February 1, 2023 11:16 PM

Here's the thread about it. There's no real substantiation, although if some enterprising DL sleuth wants to figure out whether Blanchett was in London in December 2019, I'm sure it's possible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187February 1, 2023 11:30 PM

R188, who is this Hannah Jane Parkinson person who made this accusation? She also refers to CB as her wife? Very telling of the mental state of these Looney Tunes who post such garbage.

by Anonymousreply 188February 1, 2023 11:35 PM

R188, Parkinson is a Guardian writer, according to her Twitter bio, but I don't know anything more about her or the person who actually saw Blanchett at the News Building in London.

by Anonymousreply 189February 1, 2023 11:44 PM

Wait a minute, this does not add up. Why would Cate be celebrating Boris Johnson winning anything when she is Australian? Why would she care about the state of UK politics?

by Anonymousreply 190February 1, 2023 11:47 PM

R189, writers too can be lunatics. This so called writer posted a quote on her social media account. She has no proof. No photos=it didn't happen

by Anonymousreply 191February 1, 2023 11:49 PM

Has Andrea released a statement on her scandalized nomination?

by Anonymousreply 192February 1, 2023 11:50 PM

Whomever wins the SAG award

*Whoever*

by Anonymousreply 193February 2, 2023 12:05 AM

At her level of fame, Cate is going to be at the same party as some unsavory people at some point. You can't control an invite list for a huge corporate event.

by Anonymousreply 194February 2, 2023 12:24 AM

I don’t know if Cate, Viola et al even care about winning another Oscar. They’re set.

by Anonymousreply 195February 2, 2023 12:26 AM

R195, don’t be ridiculous. You can never have enough Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 196February 2, 2023 12:28 AM

[QUOTE] I don’t know if Cate, Viola et al even care about winning another Oscar. They’re set.

Are you joking? Viola is extremely thirsty for a Leading Actress Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 197February 2, 2023 12:33 AM

Its always nice to win an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 198February 2, 2023 12:33 AM

I still want more

by Anonymousreply 199February 2, 2023 12:36 AM

[quote]Over 100 thousand member vote for SAG Awards. 90% of which barely work a time or two a year in a commercial. They're not exactly the the most reliable to choose quality. They many times choose popular actors.

^^ EXACTLY. Years ago I worked for an arts organization that had a lot of mostly out of work actors filling in as temps. Right around this time of year, you would hear these dick weeds endlessly prattle on with each other about their SAG screeners and ballots as if their life depended on it. Most of these people did two days as background talent on a film ten years ago and would still reminisce about what craft services served for lunch that day.

by Anonymousreply 200February 2, 2023 1:05 AM

R191 Seriously. I’ve lost so much respect for people over the years because of how much they believe random rumors (about famous people or otherwise) because someone on twitter said so. It’s fun to gossip, but throwing around serious stuff without proof is stupid. It’s like that one hysterical writer from the Toast (which was a funny website) who claimed Jeff Goldblum was going to be hugely MeTooed (for fucking legal aged women?) and then deleted her account when asked to provide proof.

by Anonymousreply 201February 2, 2023 2:40 AM

Cate has been telling people not to vote for her. She doesn’t want the inevitable scandal if she wins.

by Anonymousreply 202February 2, 2023 2:43 AM

"Cate being right wing: there are rumours all over the internet that she is. there are rumours all over the internet that she is."

Well, then, R176, it MUST be true!

by Anonymousreply 203February 2, 2023 3:03 AM

There will be no scandal if Cate wins - her performance in worthy.

No chance she's telling people not to vote for her. She is the poster girl for doing whatever it takes to get that award.

by Anonymousreply 204February 2, 2023 3:22 AM

Oh please. Blanchett has more than enough money, movie and TV offers. Plus, for artistic satisfaction she can act important roles whenever she wants for her husband’s international theater company. Or really, at any theater she chooses.

I wager getting another Oscar isn’t high on her list of goals. Especially as they’ve become somewhat tacky achievements.

by Anonymousreply 205February 2, 2023 4:17 AM

R205 don't be ridiculous. Cate Blanchett is as thirsty for this award as much as all the other women who are nominated.

by Anonymousreply 206February 2, 2023 4:25 AM

Cate is over

by Anonymousreply 207February 2, 2023 5:00 AM

[quote]Cate has been telling people not to vote for her. She doesn’t want the inevitable scandal if she wins.

Please- anyone who would be telling people not to vote for her would have taken her name out of consideration shortly after the nominees were announced a week ago. This is pure BS.

by Anonymousreply 208February 2, 2023 2:53 PM

Yea why would Cate not want to win? She's done her part by calling for more diversity already. Plus, she loves awards.

by Anonymousreply 209February 2, 2023 3:00 PM

Maybe Viola would be more likely to be nominated and win if she didn't have snot running out of her nose in every goddamned movie she was in.

by Anonymousreply 210February 2, 2023 4:13 PM

R210, stop with the nonsense. It's obvious you haven't watched The Woman King.

by Anonymousreply 211February 2, 2023 4:20 PM

People have had sufficient of Viola.

by Anonymousreply 212February 2, 2023 8:16 PM

r212, based on the continuous decreasing ratings, people have had sufficient of the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 213February 2, 2023 8:18 PM

Tar budget: $35 million

Tar gross: $9.6 million

by Anonymousreply 214February 2, 2023 10:17 PM

The “Best Actress” this year is going to have engage in a private dance number at my behest and eventually pry the statuette from McDormand’s toned, clammy cunt.

I’ve certainly seen to that.

by Anonymousreply 215February 2, 2023 10:31 PM

Opposing view to consider from someone who kind of likes the idea of Andrea’s nomination.

In 95 years, one woman has won best actress. Viola’s film had an outstanding Rotten Tomatoes rating.

I ,ind of understand why Black performers and industry watchers are quite frustrated.

by Anonymousreply 216February 2, 2023 10:59 PM

R214 Cate B was the only big star in this movie. I bet the actors paycheck were probably less than 5 million

by Anonymousreply 217February 2, 2023 11:07 PM

R216 while Viola's movie was a hit her performance was not undeniable or memorable. Deadwyler should have replaced De Armas on the list though, she was outstanding.

by Anonymousreply 218February 2, 2023 11:11 PM

I started watching Till last night. The kid who plays Emmett was very distracting, a bit of overacting.

by Anonymousreply 219February 2, 2023 11:17 PM

A tie between Andrea Risebourgh and Ana would be the perfect dramatic end to this Oscar mess.

by Anonymousreply 220February 2, 2023 11:20 PM

I REALLY want Faye to announce the wrong winner.

by Anonymousreply 221February 2, 2023 11:22 PM

"Michelle Williams..the singer"

by Anonymousreply 222February 2, 2023 11:23 PM

So Michelle was in just 1/3 of The Fablemans, she made the cut of BA but hasn't a hope of winning. I wonder if being in Lead means more to her (and the movie) than a win?

If she'd gone Supporting then Deadwyler (or V) could have got in. And push Jamie Lee out of BSA

by Anonymousreply 223February 2, 2023 11:25 PM

I think Williams would have pushed out either Hong Chau or Stephanie Hsu, even though I think both gave better performances than Jamie Lee Curtis. She campaigned hard for that nomination.

by Anonymousreply 224February 3, 2023 12:08 AM

Carbon Cate is DOA.

by Anonymousreply 225February 3, 2023 12:12 AM

Joyce Eng from Gold Derby thinks it’s much ado about nothing but then again, Joyce, and most of those Gold Derby podcasters have some racial blind spots.

by Anonymousreply 226February 3, 2023 12:23 AM

Cate will win. It's a given

by Anonymousreply 227February 3, 2023 12:43 AM

Academy voters just don't care about race as much as people think they do (the Academy board, though, is a different story). So Joyce Eng is probably right, R226.

by Anonymousreply 228February 3, 2023 12:44 AM

Why is it a given when most Academy members will never watch Tar?

by Anonymousreply 229February 3, 2023 1:26 AM

Bitches, I have already won, stfu already about it

by Anonymousreply 230February 3, 2023 1:28 AM

I finished watching "Blonde," and I think Ana de Armas is actually good, and there are moments when the likeness is uncanny. The problem is the script and spending two-and-a-half hours having de Armas wallowing in misery, tears, and victimization. Monroe is basically portrayed as severely mentally ill, therefore fair game to anyone and everyone in the movie, and there's nowhere to go from there. They never show anyting but her life as one one long, harrowing tragedy.

And all the banging on about the JFK-rape scene is a bit pearl clutching. I think the NC-17 rating was silly.

by Anonymousreply 231February 3, 2023 4:06 AM

[quote]r223 If Michelle Williams had gone Supporting then Deadwyler (or V) could have got in. And push Jamie Lee out of BSA

Whatever it takes. I want that sexless mule out of there.

by Anonymousreply 232February 3, 2023 5:29 AM

[quote]r231 I think Ana de Armas is actually good, and there are moments when the likeness is uncanny. The problem is the script

I agree. She’s good. One reviewer said the problem with the script is it’s the same scene over and over again - “Marilyn enters, someone’s mean to her, Marilyn cries. Marilyn enters, someone’s mean to her, Marilyn cries. Marilyn enters, someone’s mean to her, Marilyn cries.“

However, de Armas cries well!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233February 3, 2023 5:36 AM

R231 Despite the troubling aspects of the script, De Armas is fantastic as Monroe, and as you noted, her resemblance to and imitation of her is often eerily uncanny. Ironically, her fellow nominee this year, Williams, floundered as the platinum-haired icon and certainly doesn’t deserve to be among the Best Actress nominees this year, although a case could be made for her inclusion among the Best Supporting Actress nominees.

by Anonymousreply 234February 3, 2023 1:53 PM

R234, that wig Michelle is wearing in The Fabelmans is nightmare-inducing.

by Anonymousreply 235February 3, 2023 2:44 PM

I just can't get past her Cuban accent which was audibly noticeable to me in the clips of Blonde I've seen.

by Anonymousreply 236February 3, 2023 2:51 PM

Wasn't noticeable to me at all, R236, and I watched the entire movie. In fact, I think her American accent was very credible.

by Anonymousreply 237February 3, 2023 2:55 PM

R236 There we’re fleeting traces of her accent that, interestingly enough, I feel complimented her mimicry of Monroe’s distinct and, at times, peculiar speech pattern.

by Anonymousreply 238February 3, 2023 3:03 PM

Yes, I think Monroe's rather affected way of speaking aids de Armas in her imitation.

by Anonymousreply 239February 3, 2023 3:08 PM

Why are they conducting a review? From the trailer it looks like she does a great job portraying a white trash type.

by Anonymousreply 240February 3, 2023 3:24 PM

If De Armas was interested in playing Monroe authentically she would have tried to copy her actual speaking voice, the one heard on those tapes of her last interview.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241February 3, 2023 4:59 PM

The majority of voters won't even bother to watch Tar. No one is interested in lesbian drama.

by Anonymousreply 242February 3, 2023 5:06 PM

Nonsense, R241. Jeanne Tripplehorn and every other actress who ever played Jackie Onassis didn't precisely replicate her breathy delivery, and it in no way discredited their performances.

by Anonymousreply 243February 3, 2023 5:08 PM

The majority of voters only watch what films they like and vote along with the precursor awards

by Anonymousreply 244February 3, 2023 5:08 PM

"No one is interested in lesbian drama."

Correction, R242--you're not. You're not everyone.

by Anonymousreply 245February 3, 2023 5:09 PM

[quote]Why is it a given when most Academy members will never watch Tar?

[quote]The majority of voters won't even bother to watch Tar. No one is interested in lesbian drama.

This is just idiotic. The movie was nominated for six Oscars. Actors, writers, directors, cinematographers and editors all watched it and nominated it. Treating it like it's EO or All the Beauty and the Bloodshed at this point is just fucking dumb.

by Anonymousreply 246February 3, 2023 5:11 PM

R243 I don't understand your point? If an actress really wanted to capture Monroe they would realise that she didn't speak with that whispery voice in her private life and act it accordingly. A really good performance would show all the nuances of Monroe, not just a 2D imitation.

by Anonymousreply 247February 3, 2023 5:12 PM

For my money, one of the better portrayals of MM was by Kelli Garner in "The Secret Life Of Marilyn Monroe". Anyone see it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248February 3, 2023 5:14 PM

[QUOTE] If De Armas was interested in playing Monroe authentically she would have tried to copy her actual speaking voice, the one heard on those tapes of her last interview.

Oh, Jesus. Just shut up.

by Anonymousreply 249February 3, 2023 5:19 PM

It wasn't just a two-dimensional "imitation," R247. That's a frankly dense interpretation of her performance. She had enough breathy delivery to more than summon up Monroe. By the way, did you ever see "The Misfits," when Monroe has her big scene, and she's raising her voice and even screaming? She wasn't always breathy.

by Anonymousreply 250February 3, 2023 5:22 PM

R250 that's exactly what I'm saying, maybe not very well. I mean if an actress was playing Monroe really deeply her private and public voices would be subtly different

by Anonymousreply 251February 3, 2023 5:31 PM

R251, I bet you no one watching that movie said to themselves, "I can't watch this anymore! She's simply not breathy enough! I refuse to believe I'm watching the real Marilyn!"

By the way, I you haven't said one word about how de Armas looked, which is just as, if not more, significant. She was a dead ringer for Monroe in wig and costume and body.

by Anonymousreply 252February 3, 2023 5:37 PM

The only actress outside of De Armas that has come close to emulating Monroe is Ms. Lange in King Kong and Blue Sky. No wonder David Lynch wanted to do a Monroe biopic with her.

by Anonymousreply 253February 3, 2023 5:46 PM

"Do I make you happy?" - My god she was so awful in Blue Sky

by Anonymousreply 254February 3, 2023 5:54 PM

I always thought that Winona should have won that year for Little Women - which is just a perfect, perfect movie.

by Anonymousreply 255February 3, 2023 6:15 PM

^She was Gene Siskel's pick too

by Anonymousreply 256February 3, 2023 6:23 PM

R252 we're talking at cross purposes, I meant she shouldn't have been doing that breathy little voice in all the scenes where Marilyn isn't "on", not that she wasn't doing them too much.

Yes she did look quite like Marilyn, apart from in the misguided topless scenes.

I'm not saying her performance was lousy but certain ways she pulled her face and reacted just reminded me of that bland nurse she played in Knives Out, the only other movie I saw her in.

by Anonymousreply 257February 3, 2023 6:37 PM

R254 She was sublime. Sexy, mercurial, explosive, and utterly commanding. She gave a [italic]true[/italic] star turn, brimming with pathos and an infectious joie de vivre, unlike a lot of the dull, pallid, mid-tier performances that have won due to the stillness and severity of their performers.

by Anonymousreply 258February 3, 2023 6:41 PM

R258 she also got her tits out!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259February 3, 2023 6:47 PM

R259 I know! 🤌🏻 Too bad certain wet blankets are more enticed—or is it simply bad faith bemoaning?—by actresses who sigh, fidget, and blink a lot, as if such mannerisms are supposed to evoke depth and nuance.

Give me tits, tantrums, and transfiguration!

by Anonymousreply 260February 3, 2023 6:52 PM

R260 how would you respond to claims that if Blue Sky weren't kept on a shelf for three years, Jessica may not have even be nominated in the highly competitive years of 91-93?

by Anonymousreply 261February 3, 2023 6:54 PM

She rages with such conviction and sexual appeal! M, G, A, B, C, D, E, F, Z could [italic]never[/italic]!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262February 3, 2023 6:54 PM

[quote]Give me tits, tantrums, and transfiguration!

Paging Helen Lawson.

by Anonymousreply 263February 3, 2023 6:55 PM

Oh no, Lange Loon is still alive. Jessica would never be able to play Monroe. Jessica was/is very coarse and only successful playing bitchy characters like herself.

Poor Cate is undecided whether to even attend the Oscar’s.

by Anonymousreply 264February 3, 2023 6:57 PM

R261 I think it’s obvious I would disagree. Then again, I’ve never bought into the rather misogynistic take, albeit an often subconscious one, that Lange was only nominated and won because “1994 was a weak year.” Those who promulgate that opinion, both the men and women, have always seemed threatened by her performance, which illustrates the dark goddess—she is Hecate, Kali, Lilith, and Persephone rolled into one—so adroitly and astutely and with aplomb, too.

by Anonymousreply 265February 3, 2023 7:01 PM

R263 🤣

R264 Matt, please. Enough of your ape-like, creaturely behavior.

by Anonymousreply 266February 3, 2023 7:02 PM

"which illustrates the dark goddess—she is Hecate, Kali, Lilith, and Persephone rolled into one"

MARRRRRRRRY, R265!

You're insane.

by Anonymousreply 267February 3, 2023 7:02 PM

R265 do you feel she would have beat Jodie in SOTL, Snooty Emma Thompson in Howard's End or Holly Hunter and her Piano?

by Anonymousreply 268February 3, 2023 7:03 PM

R268 At that point in her career, coming off of Cape Fear? Absolutely.

by Anonymousreply 269February 3, 2023 7:04 PM

R267 Come’ere, daddy!

:::hops on you and gently bites your lower lip:::

by Anonymousreply 270February 3, 2023 7:05 PM

[quote]she is Hecate, Kali, Lilith, and Persephone rolled into one

That was Helen Hunt.

by Anonymousreply 271February 3, 2023 7:07 PM

[quote]Poor Cate is undecided whether to even attend the Oscar’s.

We feel her pain. We should put aside our own problems for a moment and think of tremendous hardship she is going through right now.

by Anonymousreply 272February 3, 2023 7:10 PM

R271 🤣

by Anonymousreply 273February 3, 2023 7:10 PM

I watched "To Leslie" last night. Pretty good, but nothing astounding. A rumination on regret and the mourning of missed opportunities, the pain of broken relationships, and of course alcoholism and an alcoholic who sort of overcomes and gets it nominally together by the end of the movie. I thought be best section of the movie was when she goes to see her son at the beginning. The ending is a powerful moment with a triangle of forgiveness. Nice performance by Allison Janey in that sequence. Riseborough, like the movie, was good but not spectacular. I didn't think her performance necessarily deserved an Oscar, but flip side, I have no objection to her receiving one.

I've heard the movie called "amazing" which I disagree with. It's sad and not frivolous and it's just people talking throughout. I think in this day and age there's a tendency, almost a need, to slap an "amazing" tag on such a movie since an adult character-based movie without some obvious hook is a lot more rare and it used to be.

by Anonymousreply 274February 3, 2023 7:11 PM

"...THE best section ...."

"...is a lot more rare THAN it used to be."

Forgive the errors; there's probably more.

by Anonymousreply 275February 3, 2023 7:14 PM

I voted and rallied a behind-the-scenes campaign for Jess in ‘94!

by Anonymousreply 276February 3, 2023 7:15 PM

R264 , is Cate boycotting the Oscars now?

by Anonymousreply 277February 3, 2023 7:22 PM

But she is not black..

by Anonymousreply 278February 3, 2023 7:23 PM

"the Oscar’s"

Oh, dear, R264.

by Anonymousreply 279February 3, 2023 7:24 PM

To Leslie is a brilliant character study and Riseborough is outstanding.

by Anonymousreply 280February 3, 2023 7:27 PM

I didn't find it brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 281February 3, 2023 7:28 PM

Cate should withdraw her nomination. She claimed that women shouldn't have to compete against one another. Hypocritical.much?

by Anonymousreply 282February 3, 2023 7:42 PM

Bless your heart r281

by Anonymousreply 283February 3, 2023 7:46 PM

Yours as well, R283.

by Anonymousreply 284February 3, 2023 7:48 PM

It was the most devastating and real portrayal of alcoholism I've ever seen, in all its ugliness. Riseborough was brilliant. And the West Texas accent was so authentic, that's a hard accent that even Americans have trouble with.

by Anonymousreply 285February 3, 2023 7:51 PM

[QUOTE] I voted and rallied a behind-the-scenes campaign for Jess in ‘94!

No you didn’t! You thought you might sneak in for The River Wild!

by Anonymousreply 286February 3, 2023 7:51 PM

Meryl may as well have been nominated for The River Wild if they were going to shove in Sarandon and Lange for boring to terrible performances.

by Anonymousreply 287February 3, 2023 7:52 PM

Lange Loon, this is not a thread about her. Start some other thread on her.

by Anonymousreply 288February 3, 2023 8:11 PM

Agreed, 288. Fuck off with Lange. Nothing about this thread pertains to her.

by Anonymousreply 289February 3, 2023 8:14 PM

Cate seems to have an opinion on everything. Her blabbering mouth has put her in a pickle. She needs to learn to stfu

by Anonymousreply 290February 3, 2023 8:18 PM

For somes who is do vocal on social issues. I'm a bit surprised CB doesn't have any social media.

by Anonymousreply 291February 3, 2023 8:22 PM

Don't forget 94 is the year Foster was nominated for Nell! Meryl almost got in for The River Wild as she has some dramatic moments standing up to the kidnappers and protecting her family. She was certainly a lot better than Sarandon in "The Client".

by Anonymousreply 292February 3, 2023 8:28 PM

So I'm just streaming "Till" and it really is disgusting Deadwyler wasn't nominated, she's terrific. All good supporting acting too

by Anonymousreply 293February 3, 2023 8:35 PM

The Lange haters are so deranged but also retarded in more ways than one, so one must pity them.

by Anonymousreply 294February 3, 2023 8:40 PM

What are you pluralizing, R294? I'm the one who said I agree that this thread is NOT about Lange. I don't hate her; I just don't want to see a thread derailed when it's NOT ABOUT HER.

by Anonymousreply 295February 3, 2023 8:44 PM

R295 You’re right. It’s really just one hater who practically organisms at any opportunity to deride and degrade her. As for you…

:::straddles you:::

Okay, daddy.

by Anonymousreply 296February 3, 2023 9:07 PM

I don't think there's one nominated performance other than Jessica's in 1994 that actually deserved to be recognised.

by Anonymousreply 297February 3, 2023 9:07 PM

Of course Cate will attend the Oscars and she'll wear an amazing custom Armani gown.

She will be dazzling and will have a prepared speech so that she doesn't insult or offend anyone this year. It will be hard but I think she can do it.

by Anonymousreply 298February 3, 2023 9:12 PM

Will she try to use big words and get them wrong?

by Anonymousreply 299February 3, 2023 9:14 PM

I like Tootsie, and I liked her speech about wine not being fattening.

by Anonymousreply 300February 3, 2023 9:16 PM

R299, Let's hope she sticks to the script and practices her big words beforehand.

by Anonymousreply 301February 3, 2023 9:23 PM

Cate tries too hard to appear as " the smartest person in the room" her award show speeches are always very cringe

by Anonymousreply 302February 3, 2023 9:28 PM

What’s “very cringe”, R302, is that you’re not aware that “cringe” is a verb, not an adjective.

Even Cate knows that.

by Anonymousreply 303February 3, 2023 9:43 PM

It's colloquially an adjective in some instances. Sometimes people use words in ways apart from their standard, "proper" usage.

by Anonymousreply 304February 3, 2023 10:12 PM

r303 is 102 years old.

by Anonymousreply 305February 3, 2023 10:14 PM

R303 get with the times

by Anonymousreply 306February 3, 2023 11:08 PM

[quote]I just can't get past her Cuban accent which was audibly noticeable to me in the clips of Blonde I've seen.

I found her rendition of "Babalu" insufficient, but her "Cuban Pete" was masterful.

by Anonymousreply 307February 4, 2023 12:39 AM

I hope Cate attends the Oscars, wins the damn thing and use her expansive vocabulary to address the room. She is fabulous.

Love ha!

by Anonymousreply 308February 4, 2023 1:17 AM

Andrea R. will get the sympathy vote and take the whole thing. Cate will be crying.

by Anonymousreply 309February 4, 2023 1:21 AM

Cate should storm the stage Lydia Tar style if she loses to this Andrea person

by Anonymousreply 310February 4, 2023 1:27 AM

R309 why would there be any sympathy involved in voting for Andrea Riseborough? Sympathy for what??

by Anonymousreply 311February 4, 2023 1:28 AM

R311 for the review which must have been humiliating

by Anonymousreply 312February 4, 2023 9:42 AM

R311, for being targeted by this investigation and attack. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 313February 4, 2023 10:21 AM

[QUOTE] I don't think there's one nominated performance other than Jessica's in 1994 that actually deserved to be recognised. I thought that her nomination for Music Box was well deserved. She plays a woman who finds out her father was a hardcore Nazi.

by Anonymousreply 314February 4, 2023 12:28 PM

[QUOTE] I don't think there's one nominated performance other than Jessica's in 1994 that actually deserved to be recognised.

I thought that her nomination for Music Box was well deserved. She plays a woman who finds out her father was a hardcore Nazi.

by Anonymousreply 315February 4, 2023 12:28 PM

R309, Andrea's nomination was the "win" for her.

The Academy will give the award to someone like Cate (maybe Michelle Y) who is part of the Hollywood system of campaigning/press/high visibility. They want to protect how they traditionally do business.

by Anonymousreply 316February 4, 2023 1:38 PM

They will never ever give it to Andrea even if she gets the most votes. They do NOT want to make her way of campaigning viable to future nominees.

by Anonymousreply 317February 4, 2023 3:30 PM

Yeoh is winning. It’s a wrap.

by Anonymousreply 318February 4, 2023 4:06 PM

Both Blanchett and Yeoh overacted, imo, so it's really an award to be given to whomever gave the most shamelessly telegraphed performance. In those terms, Blanchett is the winner.

by Anonymousreply 319February 4, 2023 4:12 PM

Sorry R315 I meant none of the women nominated for BA in 1994 deserved to be nominated, apart from Lange. I worded it badly

by Anonymousreply 320February 4, 2023 4:38 PM

Sorry, but the movie sucked…trying to be a female “Red Rocket” but failed.

She’s an ok actress. But I didn’t really feel for her. Of course, I rooted for her character to sober up. But she was a hard core liquor head…drinking out of a paper bag on a park bench in the middle of the day. Stealing from her son’s roommate. Sleeping outside with nothing but a pink suitcase…& managing to avoid getting sexually assaulted.

You know how hard it is for an alcoholic like that to sober up? Irl, she could have died going cold turkey like that. Yet she did it on her own. But why?

And all of a sudden she gets the motivation & determination to open a diner…albeit a tiny one.

And why did the hotel guy even help her? He kicked her off the property & stole her suitcase. He went through her things.

Sorry, but something is off about her nomination.

by Anonymousreply 321February 4, 2023 11:17 PM

r321 she really had finally hit rock bottom. It's not uncommon for even hardcore alcoholics to decide to stop drinking when that happens. It was a devastating portrayal of alcoholism.

by Anonymousreply 322February 4, 2023 11:48 PM

Thanks, cunt R321, for all those spoilers. Stupid asshole.

by Anonymousreply 323February 5, 2023 1:30 PM

[quote]What is wrong with people like [R77] who feel compelled to come into threads about things that don't interest them and state just how much they don't care? Do they not realize just how boring that is?

What is wrong with people like you who take the Oscars so seriously you get bothered by the mild comments of R77?

by Anonymousreply 324February 5, 2023 1:40 PM

Oh, fuck off, R324. It's rude behavior by assholes who have nothing interesting to say.

You wouldn't go into a Super Bowl thread and announce how you have to be as brain-damaged as the players with CTE to enjoy the game. You wouldn't go into one of the many Broadway threads and tell them that anyone who has seen a show since A Chorus Line has wasted their money.

And yet in any discussion of the Oscars, or really in any discussion of any movie released since An Unmarried Woman hit theaters, you'll get comments like R77 complaining that other people still enjoy discussing things that they lost the ability to appreciate decades ago. It's rude, it's boring, and it deserves to be called out.

by Anonymousreply 325February 5, 2023 5:42 PM

[quote]You wouldn't go into a Super Bowl thread and announce how you have to be as brain-damaged as the players with CTE to enjoy the game. You wouldn't go into one of the many Broadway threads and tell them that anyone who has seen a show since A Chorus Line has wasted their money.

You obviously haven't spent an appreciable amount of time in such threads.

by Anonymousreply 326February 5, 2023 5:50 PM

[quote]It was the most devastating and real portrayal of alcoholism I've ever seen, in all its ugliness. Riseborough was brilliant. And the West Texas accent was so authentic, that's a hard accent that even Americans have trouble with.

Bitch, please! Now, I have not seen the film yet, so can't comment on her performance/accent, but it's so annoying when Anglophiles/Europhiles cut Europeans too much slack when attempting an American accent.

Many of them can't do a standard American accent right, never mind regional, yet get nominated for awards -- like Kate Winslet in TITANIC. Her accent was uneven in that, but she was Oscar-nominated. If that movie had been about a British character played by an American and the accent was dodgy, she would be ridiculed and definitely not nominated for anything. Americans are held to a higher standard, I guess.

Anyway, it's stupid to honestly believe that a distant country of just 67 million people can do a better regional accent than any of America's 332 million people.

by Anonymousreply 327February 5, 2023 7:01 PM

Trust, r323, I did you a favor.

Besides, it’s been out at least three months. It’s fair game.

I saw the movie. It sucked.

by Anonymousreply 328February 5, 2023 7:05 PM

Get a grip, R327!

by Anonymousreply 329February 5, 2023 7:07 PM

When Marc Maron ranted about the investigation, the author of one article about his rant said that he had a "small" role in To Leslie. His role my be the biggest after Riseborough. Maybe not a true lead, but substantial.

by Anonymousreply 330February 5, 2023 7:09 PM

Did Andrea get her boobs out like De Armas?

by Anonymousreply 331February 5, 2023 7:11 PM

No, she's never naked or topless.

by Anonymousreply 332February 5, 2023 7:14 PM

Thank God.

by Anonymousreply 333February 5, 2023 7:17 PM

r327 then perhaps you should see the fucking film. A West Texas accent is difficult to do even for Americans, actors have talked about this. It's different from a standard Southern accent.

by Anonymousreply 334February 5, 2023 8:03 PM

Not bad titties back when younger

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335February 5, 2023 8:45 PM

Blehhhh.

by Anonymousreply 336February 5, 2023 8:49 PM

[quote]R317 They will never ever give it to Andrea even if she gets the most votes. They do NOT want to make her way of campaigning viable to future nominees.

By THEY you mean DAPHNE ZUNIGA.

If nothing else, this Academy scandal exposes how she rules, and terrorizes, Hollywood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337February 6, 2023 4:36 AM

[quote]r327 Americans are held to a higher standard, I guess.

From those who have achieved greatness, greatness is expected.

by Anonymousreply 338February 6, 2023 4:41 AM

I finally watched Till last night - Deadwyler did a phenomenal job. That was definitely a snub.

by Anonymousreply 339February 6, 2023 4:59 AM

I agree R339. Overall, the movie was weird. It was well put together but seemed somewhat glossy and Disneyfied even though it's dealing with a horrific murder. The score - which came in and out - was distracting and annoying, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 340February 6, 2023 5:16 AM

I thought that score was distracting and annoying, too, R340, which is why I’m kind of surprised it didn’t get nominated.

by Anonymousreply 341February 6, 2023 5:24 AM

Deadwyler wouldn't be the first actor overlooked due to being in a shit movie. De Armas is the one that stole a spot but the Academy can't say anything about that because then they'd be racist against a Latina and you're only allowed to be racist against white people now, especially white women.

by Anonymousreply 342February 6, 2023 7:06 AM

Deadwyler did a wonderful job as Mamie Till. As I watched it I wondered what clip they would have used had she been nominated and settled on the courtroom scene where her eyes are fluttering as she recalls how she identified her son's body. She was very affecting

by Anonymousreply 343February 6, 2023 10:19 AM

"De Armas is the one that stole a spot"

She didn't steal anything, R342. She was nominated by a body of Academy voters.

by Anonymousreply 344February 6, 2023 3:54 PM

I thought the Abraham Lincoln ballet was superfluous......Debbie Allen has done much better work elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 345February 6, 2023 4:39 PM

Everyone is voting for Andrea for the win.

Oscar History!

by Anonymousreply 346February 6, 2023 4:55 PM

R344, she was shit and was a diversity vote. So, do you love her like a gay guy obsesses over certain women like they are little dolls or are you a straight guy or lesbian who wants to fuck her? No one thinks she did anything Oscar-worthy in that piece of shit movie.

by Anonymousreply 347February 6, 2023 5:04 PM

Funny, when I heard about this controversy, it made me think of that morning Howard Stern made a segment about the movie, and how extraordinary Andrea Riseborough is in it, and how he was moved to tears and couldn't get the movie out of his head. Well, it made me download the movie (a movie I would have never heard about otherwise) and after watching it I thought, really Howard ? What am I missing here? The movie is average at best. Now I understand. Howie was either paid to advertise it or he did it as a favor because he's friend of god knows who in the prod.

by Anonymousreply 348February 6, 2023 5:09 PM

R347, calm down. No need to rant like some petulant Mary. I certainly don't love her. I thought her performance was much better than queens like you, who seem to have it out for her. I thought the script and the movie were very sub-par, but she was fine.

And apparently some folks in the Academy thought her performance was Oscar-worthy, because they nominated her. Get over it.

by Anonymousreply 349February 6, 2023 5:37 PM

Sounds about right, 348.

I didn’t hear about the movie from Stern…just from the controversy. I had an open mind before watching it…maybe even rooting for it to be good. But…it was boring & stupid.

Her performance was fine, but not Oscar worthy.

Maybe her elite friends want her to win because she slummed as a flyover?

by Anonymousreply 350February 6, 2023 6:06 PM

It's a brilliant, raw movie.

by Anonymousreply 351February 6, 2023 6:09 PM

When is the big show? I'm ready to put this shitstorm in the rearview.

by Anonymousreply 352February 6, 2023 6:38 PM

Me too, r343! That's exactly the scene I pegged.

by Anonymousreply 353February 6, 2023 7:11 PM

You guys are being very unfair to Andrea Rottweiler.

by Anonymousreply 354February 6, 2023 7:38 PM

Lots of Viola stans posting today.

by Anonymousreply 355February 6, 2023 8:35 PM

Viola should do another play, she was good on stage

by Anonymousreply 356February 6, 2023 9:13 PM

I just EGOT!

I just POOPED!

I just love ME!

by Anonymousreply 357February 6, 2023 9:33 PM

Blow your nose, Viola - you ain't getting an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 358February 6, 2023 9:34 PM

That fucking, disgusting, running-like-a-putrid river of snot dripping off her nose. Vomitous.

by Anonymousreply 359February 6, 2023 10:04 PM

Deadwyler was great expressing sublimated rage. She's a black woman in that era; she can't go off. She can't freak out and yell obscenities in public, even though that's what any normal people would want to do. She's oppressed. She has to keep it all even-keeled and "respectable" even though her son was murdered and the people who murdered are found not guilty. I guess there could have been a scene of her doing that in private, among black people. She almost gets there when questioning Emmit's uncle about why he didn't do more, but comes up short. So, even among her family and friends she's keeping it "level" - and I think she did a good job expressing that Mamie is doing that because if she starts going down that rabbit hole of rage, she wont' stop. I think we can assume that at some point after the verdict she actually does get to that point, but until then she kept it ALL together in the hopes of getting justice for her son and not looking bad in the press. Great performance, "meh" to good movie, but not very good or great.

by Anonymousreply 360February 7, 2023 5:32 AM

Sad that she gets her moment to shine taken away from her. The Academy came off like Trump supporters — stolen election. Now the uproar with the Grammys and Beyoncé not winning in some category.

by Anonymousreply 361February 7, 2023 7:49 AM

Speaking of Beyonce, she should get an Oscar this year, just for being Beyonce.

by Anonymousreply 362February 7, 2023 10:28 AM

R303 have you never heard ANYONE say you're a fucking idiot? Fucking is a verb but if often used as an adjective.

by Anonymousreply 363February 8, 2023 3:40 AM

Much like Deadwyler in Till, Andrea gives an A performance in a B movie. I wish Deadwyler had gotten in instead of De Armas.

by Anonymousreply 364February 8, 2023 4:48 AM

Deadwyler = B+ according to 364. Not good enough.

by Anonymousreply 365February 8, 2023 5:23 AM

R362 but she's already got TWO "Beyonce's" this year

by Anonymousreply 366February 8, 2023 5:08 PM

I'm so glad EGOT holder Miss Viola Davis is calling out her so called "allies" for their blatant disregard of the discrimination that permeates Hollywood in particular the Oscars. These "sisters" and so called " feminists" get on the podium claiming to have such great admiration for Viola's work however, you don't get a pip from them regarding racial discrimination in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 367February 8, 2023 6:11 PM

Again, Viola Davis not receiving an annual FILLER NOD is not a hate crime.

Her stans really need to attempt to move on.

by Anonymousreply 368February 8, 2023 6:15 PM

Viola is getting the Chaplin Award this year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 369February 9, 2023 9:33 PM

She will be present there, taking up space.

by Anonymousreply 370February 9, 2023 9:38 PM

Photo at r369 is a really good look for our EGOT holder

by Anonymousreply 371February 9, 2023 9:39 PM

If an award was covered in poo, Viola would still knock someone out if the way too accept it.

by Anonymousreply 372February 9, 2023 9:43 PM

Cause when you think of great comedy stars, you think of Viola Davis.

by Anonymousreply 373February 9, 2023 9:44 PM

That poor woman is homely......bless her heart.

by Anonymousreply 374February 9, 2023 9:47 PM

I don't recognize her without snot streaming out of her nose.

by Anonymousreply 375February 9, 2023 9:58 PM

I hope she wins just to piss off Viola.

by Anonymousreply 376February 9, 2023 10:36 PM

At this year's Oscars, Viola Davis will be the first recipient of the newly (and quickly) created Viola Davis Award.

by Anonymousreply 377February 10, 2023 4:06 AM

[quote] Deadwyler wouldn't be the first actor overlooked due to being in a shit movie.

"To Leslie" is truly a shit movie. It's almost like that "Hard to Watch" fake movie in 30 Rock for which Tracy Jordan wins an Academy Award.

by Anonymousreply 378February 10, 2023 4:16 AM

I can't believe someone posted her banana tittys.

by Anonymousreply 379February 10, 2023 4:27 AM

R378, excuse me, the title was Hard to Watch: Based on the Novel ‘Stone Cold Bummer’ by Manipulate.

Neither Till nor To Leslie were good movies. Frankly, no matter who filled out the nominations, it was always going to be three women who will probably earn under 20% of the vote combined because they were in at best mediocre movies or gave at best mediocre performances.

With the race between Blanchett and Yeoh, complaining about not earning a nomination this year feels as useless as contesting a Green Party primary.

by Anonymousreply 380February 10, 2023 5:08 AM

That long shot of Leslie in the bar with the Willie Nelson song playing in the background was fantastic. I think that’s where a lot of the hosannas from fellow actors is coming from. Andrea Riseborough does A LOT of work in that one shot. Her character is going through so many emotions and she essentially decides that she doesn’t want to drink anymore by the end of the shot. I got all of that from the actress - zero dialogue.

The moment I saw that scene (I watched the film on the Saturday before the nomination announcement based on all the buzz surrounding Andrea’s campaign) I knew she would be nominated.

by Anonymousreply 381February 10, 2023 1:53 PM

Oh, stop it already r381. We’ve seen the movie. It was schlocky & try hard. It wasn’t worse than EEAAO & AR was fine. But it’s just not Oscar worthy. She truly was lucky to just be nominated. Everyone knows her name now. Mission accomplished. Let it go.

by Anonymousreply 382February 10, 2023 11:19 PM

R382, which is why the movie wasn't nominated. The actress, however, was for her amazing performance.

by Anonymousreply 383February 11, 2023 5:50 AM

[quote] She truly was lucky to just be nominated. Everyone knows her name now. Mission accomplished.

What else has this Andrea Rosenberg been in?

by Anonymousreply 384February 11, 2023 5:55 AM

To Leslie reminded me a lot of The Florida Project. Where it doesn't quite feel like a real movie but it's also not garbage and there is a piece of really good acting. It's very good performance. And I agree with a poster on another thread that it's very twitchy and something a young Jennifer Jason Leigh would play. But she would still get my 1. I loved Blanchett but he was something inauthentic about the part. Although it was interesting she never has a moment of self doubt loud. She was just an asshole and one of those people who could rationalize every behavior. Like Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 385February 11, 2023 6:06 AM

Was it her grandparents that Eisenbower had executed for tyranny?

by Anonymousreply 386February 11, 2023 3:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!