Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Deidre Hall - Why I Won't Wear a Red Ribbon on World AIDS Day

Writing this Op-Ed for World AIDS Day

I believe that televised awards shows are not a forum for expressing personal religious, social or political views. However, I have not objected when fellow performers have worn red ribbon to express their support for AIDS research; that's their choice. My choice is NOT to wear a ribbon.

Soap Opera Digest readers should know wearing a red ribbon is no longer entirely voluntary. Those who began by offering ribbons to performers now resort to extreme tactics in pursuit of their express goal of 100 percent conformity. When performers arrive at an award show, individuals who attempt to pin ribbons on them accost them. A performer who declines may be accosted at the pre-show reception, again while waiting backstage and again at the press conference after the show.

Offering these ribbons to celebrities was, in my view, a benign and pro-social act. On the other hand, aggressively badgering performers to compel the wearing of ribbons is not only demeaning to AIDS victims and to the desperate need for an all-out research war against the disease, but an offense against personal freedom.

By attempting to force 100 percent conformity, these activists are now attempting to make the red ribbon a visible litmus test for separating those individuals who empathize with AIDS victims and support AIDS research from those who do not. This is a misguided and dangerous notion.

First, it misguidedly politicizes human tragedy. These red ribbons provide a means by which public figures can appear to make a 'politically correct' statement in favor of a cause they do not support.

Second, any attempt to force conformity to a single social agenda attacks the freedom of expression. The extreme activities that resort to harassment to compel actors and actresses to wear these ribbons are practicing a '90s brand of McCarthyism – and their behavior is deplorable. Our community was devastated by political extremists in the 1950s and again became a target during the last presidential campaign. It surpasses belief that men and women in the entertainment field would resort to shameful practices that the enemies of artistic freedom have used against us.

Sadly, it falls to some of us who ardently support AIDS victims and AIDS research to resist these tactics by personal example. Believe me, the easy way out would be to pin the ribbon on and keep silent. But I won't, because I don't want these appalling tactics to succeed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65December 31, 2023 6:46 PM

and the red ribbon never been isolated to just aids. . . another popular use is for the war on drugs and various other tangled causes that would today's politics an aneurysm.

by Anonymousreply 1December 1, 2022 5:39 PM

Does this bitch ever support ANYTHING???

by Anonymousreply 2December 1, 2022 5:41 PM

Bitch is a homophobe.

by Anonymousreply 3December 1, 2022 5:49 PM

Oh Dee, Dee, Dee, is there any cause you would ever support?

by Anonymousreply 4December 1, 2022 5:55 PM

Don’t know who she is and it took her maybe three paragraphs to convince me that I’m missing nothing.

by Anonymousreply 5December 1, 2022 5:59 PM

[quote] Oh Dee, Dee, Dee, is there any cause you would ever support?

r4 I bet bitch wears Ukrainian colours blue and gold.

by Anonymousreply 6December 1, 2022 6:13 PM

[quote]Don’t know who she is and it took her maybe three paragraphs to convince me that I’m missing nothing.

Oh, you're missing a lot.

by Anonymousreply 7December 1, 2022 6:15 PM

She looks nothing like her son, Todrick.

by Anonymousreply 8December 1, 2022 7:23 PM

But she does look a little like her father, Monty.

by Anonymousreply 9December 1, 2022 7:38 PM

r8 Todrick is a stupid name anyway.

by Anonymousreply 10December 1, 2022 7:39 PM

What a selfish cunt

by Anonymousreply 11December 1, 2022 10:10 PM

Looks exactly like her sister Regina.

by Anonymousreply 12December 1, 2022 11:17 PM

she is right .

by Anonymousreply 13December 1, 2022 11:24 PM

This just makes me hate her even more.

by Anonymousreply 14December 2, 2022 2:02 AM

Whore

by Anonymousreply 15December 2, 2022 2:46 AM

What is her fucking problem - she's always like this!?

by Anonymousreply 16December 2, 2022 2:49 AM

Selfish bitch who likes attention. Libertarian-ish bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 17December 2, 2022 2:58 AM

GLAAD definitely needs to give her an award!

by Anonymousreply 18December 2, 2022 3:05 AM

For what?

by Anonymousreply 19December 2, 2022 3:21 AM

I'm sick of her bullshit

by Anonymousreply 20December 2, 2022 12:04 PM

Really rude

by Anonymousreply 21December 3, 2022 12:48 AM

This is another one of those DL inside jokes that I still need explaining.

by Anonymousreply 22December 3, 2022 2:04 AM

R22 NO - she actually wrote this

by Anonymousreply 23December 3, 2022 2:15 AM

Who cares. Wasn't she a thing like 35 or 40 years ago?

by Anonymousreply 24December 3, 2022 2:17 AM

R23 there have been a million parodies of this on here - I’m not sure why - it stems from some real life incident I assume but I’m not sure what. So every time there is a cause celebre one of these pops up.

by Anonymousreply 25December 3, 2022 2:33 AM

R25, correct. The original incident happened years ago and had to do with a breast cancer awareness ribbon.

by Anonymousreply 26December 3, 2022 3:08 AM

Complete bitch

by Anonymousreply 27December 4, 2022 10:38 PM

She’s also come out to say that she doesn’t believe in public protests, an extension of her infamous and ongoing campaigns against political frippery. Where will it end with Dee? She understands that Linda Dano is waiting in the wings, doesn’t she?

by Anonymousreply 28December 4, 2022 10:52 PM

Why does she always pull shit like this??

by Anonymousreply 29January 18, 2023 2:49 AM

This is so worn out

by Anonymousreply 30January 18, 2023 4:52 AM

She went all out supporting the gay community and has for decades. She was their non-stop for her gay friend dying of AIDS in the early 90s and went public about the disease. She’s no homophobe. Shes been to ever gay gala known to man. She’s just odd at times.

by Anonymousreply 31January 18, 2023 5:00 AM

[quote] She understands that Linda Dano is waiting in the wings, doesn’t she?

Dano already crashed and burned at Days.

by Anonymousreply 32January 18, 2023 5:01 AM

She’s a whore.

by Anonymousreply 33January 18, 2023 5:34 AM

My sister says DH looks like Candice Bergen without a brain or personality.

I agree.

by Anonymousreply 34January 18, 2023 11:50 AM

Don’t tell Cedric and Bob

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 18, 2023 12:32 PM

Isn’t she like 107 years old?

by Anonymousreply 36January 18, 2023 12:36 PM

I'm gay and even I thought the red ribbon thing was stupid. It was such an empty gesture and meaningless. The epitome of virtue signaling. The people who gave time and money and volunteered during the AIDS crisis, they are the true heroes, not a bunch of actors wearing a ribbon.

by Anonymousreply 37January 18, 2023 12:36 PM

The red ribbon may have been virtue signalling, but it increased visibility for both gay rights and AIDS awareness at a time when the mainstream media weren't dealing with either topic on a regular or significant basis.

by Anonymousreply 38January 18, 2023 4:34 PM

She was a big supporter to that guy in Congress. Can’t remember his name. The one who said he saw a UFO.

by Anonymousreply 39January 18, 2023 8:52 PM

[quote] The one who said he saw a UFO.

Whoever he was he must have been a total crackpot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40January 18, 2023 9:31 PM

she's a conservative republican and not supporting of the codification of gay rights - she's made no secret of this over the years - her position its not a surprise.

by Anonymousreply 41January 18, 2023 11:11 PM

How odd that she is such a popular soap actress

by Anonymousreply 42February 3, 2023 4:06 AM

how dare she be against the war on drugs and MADD

by Anonymousreply 43February 3, 2023 4:13 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44February 3, 2023 4:15 AM

Who doesn't want to wear the ribbon?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45February 3, 2023 4:22 AM

VOLUNTEER: You’re checked in. Here’s your AIDS ribbon.

KRAMER: Ah, no thanks.

VOLUNTEER: You don’t want to wear an AIDS ribbon?

KRAMER: No, no.

VOLUNTEER: But you have to wear an AIDS ribbon.

KRAMER: I have to?

VOLUNTEER: Yes.

KRAMER: Yeah, see, that’s why I don’t want to.

VOLUNTEER: But everyone wears the ribbon. You must wear the ribbon!

KRAMER: You know what you are? You’re a ribbon bully (walks away).

VOLUNTEER: Hey! Hey you! Come back here! Come back here and put this on!

by Anonymousreply 46February 3, 2023 4:25 AM

[quote]When you cream your knees, you cream your corn.

-Deidre Hall

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47February 3, 2023 4:49 AM

Obviously she’s never enrolled in an english writing class. “Because I’m an asshole” would have been a much clearer and more truthful way to put this.

by Anonymousreply 48February 3, 2023 7:32 AM

"I'm a bit of a cunt" would have also worked R48.

by Anonymousreply 49February 3, 2023 7:56 AM

Why do these threads make me laugh so much??

by Anonymousreply 50February 3, 2023 4:18 PM

R50 maybe cause it brings out all the outraged folk who don't get what she's trying to say? My favourite variation of Dee's now 30+ yo write-up was when someone changed "red ribbon" for "face mask" at the start of the pandemic! The outrage from those who didn't get the joke was hilarious.

And no, she is not homophobic. Her main point (this was early 90s) was that people needed to stop making meaningless gestures like wearing a ribbon at awards shows and actual support research in a more tangible way. She was actually brave for calling bullshit on this "virtue signalling".

by Anonymousreply 51February 3, 2023 4:41 PM

[quote]How odd that she is such a popular soap actress

Yes, I know.

by Anonymousreply 52February 3, 2023 4:47 PM

[quote]However, by the early 1990s, celebrity declarations of support were frequently reduced to superficial and meaningless gestures. It became trendy and expected to see a celebrity donning a red ribbon at an award ceremony. A very small group of AIDS activists challenged this norm, citing the red ribbon as a symbol of shallow compassion and hollow activism. Deidre Hall was one of the few public figures at that time to denounce this practice, and stand up for real changes that would improve the lives of people with HIV.

by Anonymousreply 53February 3, 2023 4:49 PM

She probably knew most actors she worked with didn't really give a shit about aids support or would run a mile from someone with hiv and we're a bunch of phonies

by Anonymousreply 54February 3, 2023 4:52 PM

[quote] she's a conservative republican and not supporting of the codification of gay rights - she's made no secret of this over the years - her position its not a surprise.

Bullshit, absolute BS.

Dee is a moderate....don't know if she's GOP or not but she has worked and raised money for gay causes and/or gay groups (I was at one of the fundraisers).

Might be more accurate to say she was/is a Dixie Carter Republican (e.g. financially conservative and socially liberal).

by Anonymousreply 55February 3, 2023 4:53 PM

R55 have you met her? What does she look like in person?

by Anonymousreply 56February 3, 2023 4:55 PM

R56 She's much shorter than I expected on screen, but when I met her (2015-2016ish) she looked great. Work has been done but it's subtle work. She's definitely in great shape and seems to know what suits her so she doesn't look like a 70 year old trying to be 22 (e.g. Madonna).

by Anonymousreply 57February 3, 2023 5:02 PM

R57 I think I saw you comme t before, hope she was nice! Im sorry people on here don't seem to understand what she was trying to do with her rant about the hollowness of wearing a red ribbon once a year and not actually doing anything to help.

by Anonymousreply 58February 3, 2023 5:06 PM

[quote]Dee is a moderate.

She's donated to Bernie Sanders and Dennis Kucinich. She's as progressive as it gets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59February 3, 2023 5:06 PM

[quote] There have been a million parodies of this on here - I’m not sure why - it stems from some real life incident I assume but I’m not sure what.

According to We Love Soaps, it stemmed from an appearance at the Daytime Emmys in the 90s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60February 3, 2023 5:19 PM

The parodies are kinda like comments by Mrs Patsy Ramsey - often worth a chuckle, occasionally trying way too hard and every once in a while, brilliant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61February 3, 2023 5:21 PM

A red ribbon? Ask her why she wouldn't wear the Rosary.

by Anonymousreply 62February 3, 2023 5:28 PM

Will she this year?

by Anonymousreply 63August 18, 2023 10:13 AM

Did she??

by Anonymousreply 64December 31, 2023 6:42 PM

She's a ho.

by Anonymousreply 65December 31, 2023 6:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!