Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why I Won't Mourn Wilford Brimley, by Deidre Hall

I believe that televised awards shows are not a forum for public mourning. However, I have not objected when fellow performers have worn black to express their sorrow. My choice is to NOT wear black.

Soap Opera Digest readers should know that mourning a former coworker is no longer entirely voluntary. Those who began by offering black armbands and black veils now resort to extreme tactics in pursuit of their express goal of 100 percent conformity. When performers arrive at an award show, individuals who attempt to force accoutrements of mourning on them accost them. A performer who declines may be accosted at the pre-show reception, again while waiting backstage and again at the press conference after the show.

Offering a "Rest In Power Wilfred" hand fan to celebrities was, in my view, a benign and pro-social act. On the other hand, aggressively badgering performers to compel the wearing of a widow's veil is not only demeaning to those who worked with Wilford, and to the desperate need for performative sorrow across the world, but an offense to those of us who can no longer move our face to display expressions.

By attempting to force 100 percent conformity, these activists are no attempting to make mourning a visible litmus test for separating those individuals who cared about Wilford from those of us who did not. This is a misguided and dangerous notion.

First, it misguidedly politicizes human tragedy. These face masks provide a means by which public figures can appear to make a 'politically correct' statement to mourn a person they barely knew.. Second, any attempt to force conformity to a single social agenda attacks the freedom of expression. The extreme activities that resort to harassment to compel actors and actresses to give a fuck about an 85 year old man are practicing a '90s brand of McCarthyism and their behavior is deplorable. Our community was devastated by political extremists in the 1950s and again became a target during the last presidential campaign. It surpasses belief that men and women in the entertainment field would resort to shameful practices that the enemies of artistic freedom have used against us.

Sadly, it falls to some of us who ardently support mourning for people we care about to resist these tactics by personal example. Believe me, the easy way out would be to wear the vail and keep silent. But I won't, because I don't want these appalling tactics to succeed.

by Anonymousreply 29August 7, 2020 7:24 PM

well that was a lot of work OP.

by Anonymousreply 1August 2, 2020 4:02 AM

R1, but it was worth it. That was the funniest--and most unexpected--post I've seen on DL this week.

by Anonymousreply 2August 2, 2020 4:04 AM

Good point, Dee. Yesterday's Wilford is not the Wilford I remember from the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 3August 2, 2020 4:05 AM

I accidentally left one bit in from the prior one I copied by mistake. Damn it, lack of DL edit function!

by Anonymousreply 4August 2, 2020 4:11 AM

A lot of effort to little effect.

Yawn.

by Anonymousreply 5August 2, 2020 4:13 AM

Did Wilford Brimley donate to prop 8?

by Anonymousreply 6August 2, 2020 4:49 AM

Bitch!

by Anonymousreply 7August 2, 2020 7:16 PM

Who is Deidre Hall? After reading OP, I don't care enough to look it up...she sounds tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 8August 2, 2020 8:08 PM

Opening to "Our House" - Starring Wilford Brimley - with Deidre Hall being billed second

Fun fact - Dee Wallace (the mother in E.T.) was offered Dee part, but turned it down

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 2, 2020 8:12 PM

[quote] Who is Deidre Hall?

LEAVE

THIS

BOARD!

by Anonymousreply 10August 2, 2020 9:05 PM

Lez be friends, Dee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 3, 2020 4:01 AM

This was funny the first time you did it, OP.

by Anonymousreply 12August 3, 2020 7:24 AM

But it's not funny this time. Think of something new, OP.

by Anonymousreply 13August 4, 2020 8:42 PM

Diabeetus ripus

by Anonymousreply 14August 4, 2020 8:44 PM

For years I labored under the assumption that this woman's name was actually Deer-dra HallS.

by Anonymousreply 15August 7, 2020 2:30 PM

R15 Titty twister Shelley Hack!

by Anonymousreply 16August 7, 2020 2:36 PM

Here at the DL she used to be known as Dee Dee Halls

by Anonymousreply 17August 7, 2020 2:37 PM

Loved this. Great job OP

by Anonymousreply 18August 7, 2020 2:40 PM

Whatta cunt!

Even Shannen Doherty offered up kind words and remembrances.

by Anonymousreply 19August 7, 2020 2:49 PM

For those that don't know this comedic bit....the original is at the link

DL'ers have redone it from time to time when the mood or idea strikes.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 7, 2020 2:57 PM

Even another anti-collectivist screed by Diedre is more welcome than the icy silence served by Susan Dey.

by Anonymousreply 21August 7, 2020 5:23 PM

She sounds like a slovenly trollop.

by Anonymousreply 22August 7, 2020 5:27 PM

I bet Diedre does a mean casket dance.

by Anonymousreply 23August 7, 2020 5:29 PM

[quote] those of us who can no longer move our face to display expressions.

I loled.

by Anonymousreply 24August 7, 2020 5:33 PM

She's looked the same yet increasingly sedate for decades now.

Someone should accost her to change that dated hairstyle.

by Anonymousreply 25August 7, 2020 5:34 PM

*sedateD

by Anonymousreply 26August 7, 2020 5:42 PM

Me laughing at DL readers who believe that Dee actually wrote this 😂😂

by Anonymousreply 27August 7, 2020 5:46 PM

DL would sell out of Wilford Brimley Rest in Power mourning hand fans in under ten seconds.

They'd be this season's must-have to pair with a summery caftan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 7, 2020 5:50 PM

I worked in the soap biz back then and this was huge; there was no internet so it was all 'did you read what Dee wrote /said in Digest?'

I asked someone I respected at the time: does she have a point?

The person said: perhaps, but you have to choose your battles; is this one really worth fighting? Dee has no trouble saying no and standing up for herself; all she'd need to do to the ribbon passer-outers is a firm 'no thank you' and keep walking.

by Anonymousreply 29August 7, 2020 7:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!