Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How to be less mild and more wild

Recently during a dinner table game of ‘what would you be if you were’’, some housemates of mine teased me by saying that if compared to a vegetable I’d be a cauliflower or a cabbage. “Because you’re so mild”. Beat. Realising what they said could sound disparaging, they scrambled to make it seem like they meant I was chill and easygoing, but too late, for the barb had landed. So now I realise it plainly—I’m actually super boring. Like a Boomer office comic, plain toast level of dry and white. I have never done anything exciting and hot, and have no stories to tell, except the time someone offered me E during Oktoberfest (I politely declined). I am under 35 years old, so maybe there’s still time to spice things up? Or is it over for me, and now I just have to EST my way through life?

by Anonymousreply 68November 27, 2022 12:22 PM

Did someone say something?

by Anonymousreply 1November 25, 2022 5:32 PM

What's wrong with being boring? You're naturally living the way you want to live. Do you actually regret not having such experiences or are you just hurt that they teased you? Personally, I'd wonder if they had been talking shit about me for a while. I'd be delighted to have a milquetoast housemate what a fucking treat.

by Anonymousreply 2November 25, 2022 5:34 PM

I’d be a Brussels Sprout.

by Anonymousreply 3November 25, 2022 5:35 PM

Generate three ideas that, for you, constitute wildness and we’ll let you know if there’s any hope for you to escape caulifloweriness.

by Anonymousreply 4November 25, 2022 5:38 PM

It doesn't seem you have being "wild" in your nature, OP, which is okay—in most ways, I don't either. Forcing yourself to take on personality traits that are unnatural to you is no good, and being a low-key person is not a bad thing. I think we are meant to be as we are. A lot of the more wild ones among us also probably wish they were more "mild" at times.

by Anonymousreply 5November 25, 2022 5:38 PM

Trying to "spice things up" OP would just make you look too try-hard.

"Making things up" will too, so it's your call.

by Anonymousreply 6November 25, 2022 6:06 PM

OP do something uncharacteristic of your usual self. Go on a trip and visit a bathhouse. Fake confidence in an otherwise awkward situation. See if the real you is just hidden away. Either way, I bet you are great as you are. But, if you're doubting yourself, then expand your whoreizons.

by Anonymousreply 7November 25, 2022 6:09 PM

Which are the exciting vegetables?

by Anonymousreply 8November 25, 2022 6:18 PM

R8 hot peppers, tomatoes (at least in salsa), anything flavourful or 'exotic'.

by Anonymousreply 9November 25, 2022 6:27 PM

Cauliflower and cabbage and nutrition powerhouses.

by Anonymousreply 10November 25, 2022 6:42 PM

I bet OP at least has the advantage of being hung like a horse.

by Anonymousreply 11November 25, 2022 6:54 PM

R11 erm, no. Really big tits, though, if that is the girl equivalent?

[quote] What's wrong with being boring? You're naturally living the way you want to live. Do you actually regret not having such experiences or are you just hurt that they teased you?

Both. Of course, no-one likes being made fun of. But I do think they have a point, which is why it stings. They're right, I really am dull, and don't like that I am averse to risk, live 'small', and am in my thirties with no interesting or crazy times in my rearview. My entire life has been a meek safe plod along--there have been highs and lows (more the latter), but what for me was a big life-affecting deal would barely move the needle for some. I just haven't done anything and I'm not going anywhere--the only difference in my perspective about that between now and a day ago is that I'm confronted with it by others, and can't just shrug and ignore it and internalise it hoping no-one notices like I normally do.

by Anonymousreply 12November 25, 2022 6:56 PM

There's nothing wrong with being mild, OP. Just be yourself. Its less complicated. Some of the most cringe worthy times of my life, have been when I've tried to be something I wasn't. Lol, drugs were mostly involved, but that's another story for another day.

by Anonymousreply 13November 25, 2022 6:59 PM

Cauliflower is the trendiest and most versatile vegetable around. They even make fake macaroni and cheese with it. Push yourself out of your comfort zones when you can.

by Anonymousreply 14November 25, 2022 7:03 PM

This is reminding me of the other thread happening right now, the guy freaking out that he won't ever be on a magazine cover or be a famous musical artist. OP if you're in the your 30 you are too goddamned old to be worried about teenage/grade school shit like this. You don't need to spice up your personality (you are who you are, and if you're suppressing some kind of wild inner self that's another story but it doesn't sound like that's the case), you need to get some self-respect and self-esteem.

by Anonymousreply 15November 25, 2022 7:16 PM

The Queen's nickname was "Cabbage" OP, so take heart.

by Anonymousreply 16November 25, 2022 8:13 PM

R16 sources?

by Anonymousreply 17November 25, 2022 8:41 PM

A loving nickname was confirmed by the Queen's biographer Robert Lacey, who revealed this is 'sometimes' how Prince Philip refers to Her Majesty. In what may come as a surprise for even the most dedicated royalists, the Prince's pet name for the Queen was 'Cabbage'.

by Anonymousreply 18November 25, 2022 9:01 PM

OP, are YOU happy with yourself and your life?

That's all that matters.

by Anonymousreply 19November 25, 2022 9:52 PM

tl:dr

by Anonymousreply 20November 25, 2022 11:24 PM

Try inserting your butt plug in the living room...and the dining room

by Anonymousreply 21November 25, 2022 11:25 PM

As others have said, if you are fine being who you are, don't worry about fundamentally changing yourself. If it's an anxiety/depression issue, it's always a good idea to work on those for you're own mental health. As a casual observer, though, it sounds like you may need to find some additional friends. Nothing wrong with being teased occasionally by frienda. It happens, and it doesn't mean you have to give them up. As long as the assembled party wasn't your core support network.

by Anonymousreply 22November 25, 2022 11:43 PM

This set of ESTs really needs a second opinion.

by Anonymousreply 23November 25, 2022 11:53 PM

Try nudity

by Anonymousreply 24November 26, 2022 12:01 AM

Rape one of them. That’ll change their tune.

by Anonymousreply 25November 26, 2022 12:01 AM

Oh, Chasten, you are who you are. It's fine.

by Anonymousreply 26November 26, 2022 12:03 AM

Get knocked-up

by several Big Black Cocks

by Anonymousreply 27November 26, 2022 12:05 AM

R27 For a special twist use your own BBC, if you have one.

by Anonymousreply 28November 26, 2022 12:10 AM

What makes people wild are their needs. Some people need a nightlife, a series of hook-ups or a fun loving partner. Some people sit in the balcony and watch the play, some people go backstage and meet the cast. If you're liking your life as it is, be satified.

by Anonymousreply 29November 26, 2022 12:25 AM

R29 I gonna go get a cup of decaf and live on the wild side.

by Anonymousreply 30November 26, 2022 12:27 AM

Freeball it.

by Anonymousreply 31November 26, 2022 12:31 AM

Go to your car and get the AR-15 out of the trunk. Let’s see how “mild” they think you are NOW!

by Anonymousreply 32November 26, 2022 12:54 AM

R27 er if I went there my hellbilly Dad would literally disown me at best or try to kill me at worst. I wanna be spicy not sewercidal...

by Anonymousreply 33November 26, 2022 12:58 AM

I used to think "wild" people were cool and desirable, now (in my 30s) I just find them fucking exhausting. Also, what do most people even mean by " being wild"? Partying, drinking, doing drugs, fucking a lot of different people. That's basically it. Honestly, none of those activities are particularly unusual or outrageous. Every generation of kids/young adults does the same predictable, kinda stupid, kinda dangerous shit, thinking they're oh so cool and rebellious. And except for the fucking (which I sure wish I'd done more of), none of those activities even seem particularly fun to me.

by Anonymousreply 34November 26, 2022 1:26 AM

...I want to add that when I say I wish I'd done more fucking, I don't even necessarily mean having fucked more people. I just wish I'd EVER had great, mind-blowing sex with someone I was really into ... sadly that never happened.

by Anonymousreply 35November 26, 2022 1:29 AM

The old phrase is true. What they said says more about them than what it says about you.

by Anonymousreply 36November 26, 2022 1:34 AM

R36 what *does* it say about them? That they think they're the boring ones, deep down?

Idk about that kind 'but what am I' thinking. It's like when people say all homophobes are repressing gay thoughts. Maybe they're just hating heaux?

by Anonymousreply 37November 26, 2022 1:39 AM

OP - There's nothing wrong with being/feeling mild or "milquetoast" and having a low-key lifestyle. Unless you feel restricted or restrained by anxiety or a lack of confidence that holds you back from doing things that look appealing to you. If that's the case, some time with a good therapist can help. Not just dealing with the underlying anxiety, but discussing what kinds of situations and things that would be a better fit for you to explore and successfully negotiate. You need good experiences to gain the confidence. (If it's something you struggle with)

by Anonymousreply 38November 26, 2022 1:52 AM

OP, my reputation among those who know me well tends to be the opposite, that of someone who has lived quite out of bounds, if you will. But it’s not something I’m proud of or take credit for. Just me being me.

To take that one step further, I’m not necessarily drawn to others who have had wild times. I’m simply drawn to those who seem to be at ease with themselves - whether mild and calm or otherwise.

Honestly, that which-vegetable-are-you game sounds like it has too much potential for cruelty. It almost seems like a backhanded way of putting people down.

My point? I’m sure you’re lovely just as you are. Might seem a bit random but your tale makes me think of Emily Dickinson. I adore her poetry. She had so much insight into human nature. But she led such a sedate life; I don’t think she ever in her entire life strayed more than a few miles from home.

by Anonymousreply 39November 26, 2022 2:03 AM

OP needs to change the title of this thread to: How to find better friends

by Anonymousreply 40November 26, 2022 2:06 AM

If playing a vegetable comparison game is considered wild, then I'll gladly be considered mild

by Anonymousreply 41November 26, 2022 2:14 AM

I like to think I'd be an onion, a lot of layers. But I'm probably just a potato.

by Anonymousreply 42November 26, 2022 2:20 AM

R42 for a minute I genuinely was afraid they’d say potato!! As if I’m not insecure enough about my chubby farmgirl face😔

by Anonymousreply 43November 26, 2022 11:41 AM

Don't force it but if there's something interesting or weird you feel like doing and are afraid try it out I guess. Other than that, better be mild and yourself than a fake or a try hard. One of the most beloved people I knew would barley talk but just had a great vibe. He didn't seem to be up to anything but was cool because he had a nice presence and was not pretentious.

If you feel really boring maybe study something interesting, pick up a philosophy or spirituality book... or history or whatever you find interesting. Maybe learn some deep shit...that could be cool. Learned to play an instrument? Whatever you think would be interesting for you. Doing drugs or running around an orgy aren't really what I would be going for :)

by Anonymousreply 44November 26, 2022 11:56 AM

[R39] You sound like a lovey person <3

by Anonymousreply 45November 26, 2022 11:58 AM

[quote]If you feel really boring maybe study something interesting, pick up a philosophy or spirituality book... or history or whatever you find interesting. Maybe learn some deep shit...that could be cool. Learned to play an instrument? Whatever you think would be interesting for you.

Those are all worthwhile pursuits but I doubt any of them would make OP any less boring in her friends' eyes.

by Anonymousreply 46November 26, 2022 12:00 PM

Yeah, her friends sound like jealous bitches.

If this triggered something that's bothering her/him I guess it's worth doing something about. ...sorry if I'm also being a bitch :)

by Anonymousreply 47November 26, 2022 12:08 PM

To me people who come off as "interesting" or colorful are often some of the worst. They're out of balance or putting on a show and it gets tired and gross soon enough. Not everyone but I've met plenty.

Honestly after recent experience I've become wary of anyone who seem too 'cool'. What are they hiding?...

by Anonymousreply 48November 26, 2022 12:09 PM

Are you bored with your life, OP? If not, I wouldn't worry what anyone else thinks.

by Anonymousreply 49November 26, 2022 12:18 PM

I’m kale 🥬

by Anonymousreply 50November 26, 2022 12:26 PM

Have you thought about your appearance, OP? I changed to a new look and was an absolute sensation!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51November 26, 2022 12:34 PM

You need to visit the gynecologist, OP.

by Anonymousreply 52November 26, 2022 12:43 PM

I agree with the ‘make some new friends’ approach. The ines you describe seem competative towards each other and you - what a drag. What’s your sexual orientation?

by Anonymousreply 53November 26, 2022 12:50 PM

R39, In her early twenties (I think) Emily went to Boston to try to recover from severe depression.

I too love her poetry but consider myself fortunate not to have suffered as she did.

by Anonymousreply 54November 26, 2022 12:53 PM

R12/OP you can not be dull if you have big tits

by Anonymousreply 55November 26, 2022 1:02 PM

Here's a suggestion - make your bucket list (things you want to do before you die) and get started doing them.

by Anonymousreply 56November 26, 2022 2:03 PM

Instead of worrying about being mild, OP should concentrate on making more money so that they no longer have to live with housemates

by Anonymousreply 57November 26, 2022 3:42 PM

The boring vegetables turn out to be superfoods. I'll be broccoli.

by Anonymousreply 58November 26, 2022 3:57 PM

R57 has absolutely caned me lol

You are right though mate, that is true. My life is shambolic more than it is boring (and it is boring). Only thing is, there aren't many spicy ways to make money that don't involve OF, and I'm a cute pudding-shaped 4 with a sense of humour so I can't make a living off that. So killing the two birds with one stone may be trickier than I thought, and perhaps I should just focus on my bag and on being even more boring, double down on the gimmick.

by Anonymousreply 59November 26, 2022 4:01 PM

Ma'am, straight men will fuck a literal goat if they get drunk enough. They will totally get off on your tits; the face is of little to no consequence. Seriously. Go to any bar after midnight, display your wares, and fake some smiles. If you can find a group of finance bros on blow, they'll run a train on you. Life is short. Try everything at least once.

by Anonymousreply 60November 27, 2022 12:57 AM

Just be yourself, OP. Your roommates are possibly assholes. What kinds of vegetables were they? Let me guess, eggplant.

I'm sure your roommates enjoy you paying your rent on time, every month.

Why not get wild and blow your rent money and see how they like it?

by Anonymousreply 61November 27, 2022 1:05 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62November 27, 2022 1:10 AM

I don't know whether you're a frau or a lesbo or a bi cauliflower, OP, but coming to DL for validation is a dangerous pursuit. I suggest you learn to like yourself, and stop caring so much about what others think.

by Anonymousreply 63November 27, 2022 1:10 AM

Evict them.

by Anonymousreply 64November 27, 2022 1:15 AM

Are you the virgin frau who keeps posting here? Shut up and go on a diet.

by Anonymousreply 65November 27, 2022 2:06 AM

Have you considered the benefits of Toxoplasmosis? They say it turns wolves into alfa-males leading their pack into enemy territory because they are indifferent to the safety and comfort of themselves or others. It’s like Nicole Kidman’s face in “The Others”; you knew she was a kiddy killer from the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 66November 27, 2022 4:11 AM

R65 how will dieting help with any of this?

by Anonymousreply 67November 27, 2022 12:11 PM

Dear OP, please read this linked thread very carefully, consider the unnecessary shit you avoided, and then just own the fact that you are boring.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68November 27, 2022 12:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!