Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

THEATRE GOSSIP #501 - Come Back, Little Reba

Continue discussion of not only the greatest replacement in Broadway history, but one of the Top 5 greatest performances in Broadway history by our Reba in AGYG. Then discuss how you idiots blew the continuity of this historical thread chain by making three 500s.

by Anonymousreply 600November 19, 2022 3:51 AM

Previous thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1November 4, 2022 4:09 PM

The halfass prior thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 4, 2022 4:10 PM

The really shitty 500 thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 4, 2022 4:10 PM

A dream or a nightmare?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 6, 2022 5:36 PM

Broadway dreams end up in the gutter.

by Anonymousreply 5November 6, 2022 5:46 PM

WaPo says AF stinks

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6November 6, 2022 5:48 PM

Reviews are universally bad and scathing. Closing by February or before.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 6, 2022 5:50 PM

From the 500.2 thread:

Robbie Fairchild had a very serious fall, I believe in rehearsal at the Met, where he was going to appear as a lead dancer in their La Traviata. He hit his head, the kind of injury that killed Natasha Richardson, so this is no matter for joking. Fortunately, he has survived but what the long range prognosis is, is something I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 8November 6, 2022 5:54 PM

Robbie announced on Instagram that he’s taking a break from social media to focus on healing. For what it’s worth he looks great. I hope he’s ok health-wise.

by Anonymousreply 9November 6, 2022 7:22 PM

[Quote] From the 500.2 thread:

Is there really such a thing?

by Anonymousreply 10November 6, 2022 7:33 PM

Re: the film version of "The Producers" -- it really suffered at the hands of the inexperienced Stroman at the helm. Had Mel directed it himself and revised the screenplay to 'open it up' a bit, it might have had a chance at working. But Anne Bancroft was quite ill at the time and Mel simply wanted Stro's Broadway version captured on film. And that's exactly what he got.

As Nathan Lane would later quip, "it was the most expensive Lincoln Center archive recording ever made!"

by Anonymousreply 11November 6, 2022 7:41 PM

Also, kudos to the thread starter. A solid, simple title to kick off #501!

by Anonymousreply 12November 6, 2022 8:07 PM

[quote]Had Mel directed it himself and revised the screenplay to 'open it up' a bit, it might have had a chance at working.

Weird comment. The stage musical of THE PRODUCERS didn't need "opening up" in being transferred to film, as it was based on a movie that was already very much opened up, with scenes in lots of different locales, including outdoors. The problem with that movie was NOT that it needed to be "opened up" further.

That said, I agree with you that if Mel had directed the movie himself, it would have had a greater chance at working. Although, aside from Bancroft's poor health at the time, maybe a large part of the issue was that Mel felt he was just too old to direct a big movie.

by Anonymousreply 13November 6, 2022 8:15 PM

The Producers was only good because Lane elevated the material. The second he left the cast, the show suffered miserably. Stroman’s inability to put together a good Bway show becomes obvious.

by Anonymousreply 14November 6, 2022 8:35 PM

THREAD CLOSED

by Anonymousreply 15November 6, 2022 8:36 PM

Make sure you pee a couple of times / limit beverages before LEOPOLDSTADT. There is no intermission and it clicks in at around two and a half hours.

by Anonymousreply 16November 6, 2022 8:39 PM

Hey can anyone explain the difference between a General Manager and a Company Manager?

by Anonymousreply 17November 6, 2022 8:46 PM

General manager reports to the producer(s) and is responsible for all the management functions -- budgeting, payroll, accounting, etc... The Company Manager reports to the General Manager and works specifically with the cast and crew on all their financial and management needs.

by Anonymousreply 18November 6, 2022 9:58 PM

Isn’t it almost time for KO to come out of retirement again?

by Anonymousreply 19November 6, 2022 11:04 PM

In her triumphant performance AS Laura Osnes.

by Anonymousreply 20November 6, 2022 11:19 PM

Who is KO?

by Anonymousreply 21November 6, 2022 11:20 PM

Any truth to the rumor of a Mame revival next season with Christine Baranski and Cynthia Nixon?

by Anonymousreply 22November 7, 2022 12:10 AM

Cynthia Nixon can’t sing and Christine Baranski is older than Lucy when she did it.

So of course this should happen!

by Anonymousreply 23November 7, 2022 12:15 AM

r16 should probably go see a doctor

by Anonymousreply 24November 7, 2022 12:33 AM

GO WOKE, GO BROKE.

by Anonymousreply 25November 7, 2022 12:36 AM

BAJOUR!

by Anonymousreply 26November 7, 2022 1:14 AM

Before I forget, happy one-month birthday, 1776 at the AA! And they thought it would never last!

by Anonymousreply 27November 7, 2022 1:55 AM

I have a trans friend who got a trans discount to see 1776 and even they weren’t thrilled about seeing it but said they were keeping an open mind.

by Anonymousreply 28November 7, 2022 2:07 AM

I saw Betty Buckley be an absolute cunt onstage to John Barrowman’s understudy at Sunset Boulevard in London. At one point she grabbbed the poor boy by the shoulders and hissed “I command your respect! I command your respect!” I knew that wasn’t in the script. My companion, who worked in the Dress Circle shop, said it wasn’t the first time Betty had treated the poor understudy like shit. She considered all understudies to be inferiors.

There was once some charity thing on a Saturday night and one sketch got its laughs by imagining how Norma could end up dead. Someone playing Patti ended up drowning, someone playing Elaine ended up getting stabbed and the one playing Betty ended up getting crushed by the set as it descended for the New Year’s Eve sequence. Betty was there and fled (with her dog), sobbing uncontrollably. When she arrived for Monday’s performance she declared to no one in particular “I’ve healed from the trauma imposed upon me on Saturday night.”

by Anonymousreply 29November 7, 2022 2:10 AM

I don’t remember if I ever saw Betty Buckley on Broadway, but I didn’t see her perform at the Bottom Line and she was terrific. Eccentric, but terrific.

by Anonymousreply 30November 7, 2022 2:14 AM

DID see her…

by Anonymousreply 31November 7, 2022 2:14 AM

Broadway needs a revival of “The Whales of August.”

by Anonymousreply 32November 7, 2022 2:27 AM

Betty was excellent (as was Lois Smith) in The Old Friends at the Signature Theatre. Betty played a raging alchoholic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 7, 2022 2:48 AM

My friend and I went to see The Old Friends and the person I was with knew someone in the cast so we were outside the theatre waiting. Betty came out, and spoke to some people and then turned and saw us waiting. I suppose I must have smiled at her, as she came barrelling over as if we were waiting just for her and was, actually, lovely and acted like we were her dearest friends.

by Anonymousreply 34November 7, 2022 2:52 AM

Was Robbie Fairchild once married to a woman or am I thinking of someone else? Regardless, hope his recovery goes well. Sounds like a very scary fall!

Is his sister still dancing? Never had the chance to see her in a ballet performance, but she danced BEAUTIFULLY in the On the Town revival.

by Anonymousreply 35November 7, 2022 3:04 AM

Excerpts from Brantley's review of The Old Friends:

[quote]It doesn’t take long for a bleak, yawning silence to assert itself through the tinkle of ice in highball glasses and the percolating dance tunes. They may dress and talk fancier, but these people are as scared, lonely and thwarted as anyone Foote ever created. As embodied by a juicy cast that includes Betty Buckley, Lois Smith and Hallie Foote, the playwright’s daughter, they make you understand why the working title for “The Old Friends” was once “The Dispossessed.”

[quote]A tale of half-buried loves and jealousies that are exhumed when a hometown beauty returns to Harrison in 1965 after a long absence, “The Old Friends” suggests that Foote might have been dipping into the best-selling fiction of his contemporary Harold Robbins. Though this play shows characteristic traces of Foote’s beloved Chekhov — including an 11 o’clock scene that directly invokes “Uncle Vanya” — it is also a flashy soap opera about the filthy rich doing dirty by one another.

[quote]The dramatis personae have enough grudges and wayward passions to fuel several seasons. The recently widowed, heavy-drinking Gertrude Hayhurst Sylvester Ratliff (Ms. Buckley) has always been in love with her late husband’s brother, the honorable Howard Ratliff (Cotter Smith). But Howard still harbors a flame for the girl that got away, Sibyl Borden (Ms. Foote), who is moving back to Harrison after roving South America in search of oil with her ne’er-do-well husband, Hugo, who dies of a heart attack shortly before the play begins.

[quote]Gertrude is the grandmaster of such gambits. And, as written by Foote and played with unexpected restraint by Ms. Buckley, she’s a precise and cleareyed study in the arrogance of the entitled rich. The scenes in which Gertrude apologizes — sort of — for her drunken bad behavior are ruthlessly well observed. You realize that in Harrison, being rich means never having to say you’re sorry.

[quote]It is Mamie, though, who reminds us viscerally of the Harrison that was and of the attrition that informs and afflicts every life in Mr. Foote’s work. Ms. Smith, who was sublime in the 2005 Signature production of “Bountiful,” gives us a heartbreakingly tentative Mamie, made wary by loss and rejection and all too aware of the waiting grave.

[quote]When Mamie brings up pieces of local folklore that no one wants to hear — like the tale of the little boy who died while dressed up as a ghost — Foote fans will experience a reassuring warmth of recognition. In her rasping, fumbling way, Ms. Smith’s Mamie is trying to find the road that connects the past to the present, as if that might make her world seem steadier. That path runs through all of Foote’s plays, receding and coming into focus, and always a lonely highway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 7, 2022 3:18 AM

I thought The Old Friends was a crashing bore.

by Anonymousreply 37November 7, 2022 3:28 AM

R35, Megan is still dancing. You can read her bio on nycballet.com

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 7, 2022 3:29 AM

Robbie was married to Tiler Peck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39November 7, 2022 3:30 AM

There was a thread titled New York City Ballet Gossip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40November 7, 2022 3:33 AM

R36, that’s an excerpt…?

by Anonymousreply 41November 7, 2022 4:22 AM

This is a loon thread.

Don't feed the Loon.

by Anonymousreply 42November 7, 2022 4:31 AM

I heard a rumor that Disney is bringing back....

MARY POPPINS!

by Anonymousreply 43November 7, 2022 4:38 AM

[quote]This is a loon thread.

[quote]Don't feed the Loon.Also, kudos to the thread starter. A solid, simple title to kick off #501!

[quote]This is a loon thread. Don't feed the Loon.

r42 is right, r12

OP started this thread days before any other the #500 threads were close to finished and spammed all of them.

Bad OP!

The rest of us are over here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44November 7, 2022 4:44 AM

R44 but you’re not, Blanche! You’re in this thread and ya ain’t never going to leave this thread!

by Anonymousreply 45November 7, 2022 5:04 AM

If the loon hadn’t started it early you all would have rushed to start a next one and would have started seventeen 501 threads

by Anonymousreply 46November 7, 2022 5:05 AM

Datalounge used to be Bitchy Gay vs Bitchy Gay, now what’s left of the gays here is Aspie vs Aspie in the Theatre threads.

by Anonymousreply 47November 7, 2022 5:07 AM

R42 why don’t you WW yourself some more from your other sock puppet accounts?

by Anonymousreply 48November 7, 2022 5:10 AM

Whoever started this thread deserves a punch in the face.

by Anonymousreply 49November 7, 2022 5:42 AM

Thank you for finally using my suggested title from the earlier “good” thread. 🤙🏼

by Anonymousreply 50November 7, 2022 6:15 AM

Will they turn out the lights for Aaron?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51November 7, 2022 1:18 PM

Maybe the odd blown bulb here or there r51

by Anonymousreply 52November 7, 2022 1:42 PM

Robbie Fairchild and Tiler Peck virtually grew up together in ballet classes and then, as stars of NYCB, were fated to marry even though most friends and colleagues questioned Robbie's sexual preferences (which had been tamped down all his life in service to his art). No sooner were they grandly married and Robbie went off to star on Broadway, that he realized his mistake.

Tiler's career continued to flourish and she was wooed to star in On the Town but had already committed to Stro's dull Little Dancer project and the role of Miss Turnstiles in OTT went to Robbie's sister Megan. OTT was choreographed by Joshua Bergasse who's married to Sarah Mearns, who has become a bigger ballet star than Tiler or Megan. Or Robbie, for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 53November 7, 2022 1:49 PM

What happened to Josh Bergasse's career? For about 10 minutes he was the new hope for the American musical...Where is he now?

by Anonymousreply 54November 7, 2022 1:53 PM

[quote]Robbie Fairchild and Tiler Peck virtually grew up together in ballet classes and then, as stars of NYCB, were fated to marry even though most friends and colleagues questioned Robbie's sexual preferences (which had been tamped down all his life in service to his art). No sooner were they grandly married and Robbie went off to star on Broadway, that he realized his mistake.

That's how I heard the story, but really, are how can an adult male not realize his sexual orientation, even if his "sexual preferences" had been "tamped down all his life?" I think it's really too bad that he went ahead and married that woman, as apparently the breakup was extremely bitter.

by Anonymousreply 55November 7, 2022 1:55 PM

If I had the energy, I'd post 545 BAJOUR!'s in quick fashion to get rid of this shit thread.

by Anonymousreply 56November 7, 2022 2:18 PM

Or, R56, you could improve this thread by contributing something valuable to it, rather than doing the opposite, you turd.

by Anonymousreply 57November 7, 2022 2:27 PM

The universe is grateful for your chronic fatigue syndrome r56.

by Anonymousreply 58November 7, 2022 2:27 PM

R56 I would make seventy-three 502 threads and finally put this chain to sleep

by Anonymousreply 59November 7, 2022 3:01 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60November 7, 2022 3:03 PM

Tiler eventually went into On The Town as a vacation sub for Megan. Can you imagine finding out your husband was in London fucking his understudy. I would be bitter, too.

by Anonymousreply 61November 7, 2022 3:44 PM

¡Qué horror!

by Anonymousreply 62November 7, 2022 4:18 PM

Some gossip about Nathan Lane and Betty Buckley that I wasn't able to include in the prior thread. There was a story that made the rounds about Betty going batshit crazy during "Triumph of Love" over something to do with her costume. And as for NL, a friend of mine says that he and another friend were talking to him at a gay bar in NYC (The Works) years ago, as Lane was trying to pick up one of them. Apparently, NL was VERY loose-lipped about his disdain for understudies in general and Victoria Clark (Faith Prince's understudy in "Guys & Dolls") in particular, coming right out and saying "There's a reason they're the understudy." Can you imagine a Broadway star saying something like that to some twink he had only just met at a gay bar? I guess we can assume NL was in his cups at the time, but still.....

by Anonymousreply 63November 7, 2022 4:32 PM

Nathan was ALWAYS shit-faced drunk at The Works, but I never saw him leave alone.

by Anonymousreply 64November 7, 2022 4:36 PM

I’m surprised that out of everyone it was Ashley Day he fell in love with. Ashley is cute…but…it just wouldn’t seem to be first choice.

by Anonymousreply 65November 7, 2022 4:37 PM

[quote] I heard a rumor that Disney is bringing back....MARY POPPINS!

Oh, Jesus no! THAT was an overly-long bore

by Anonymousreply 66November 7, 2022 7:30 PM

See MARY POPPINS VS. TARZAN, only on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 67November 7, 2022 7:34 PM

L'il Ab(n)er, which is Reba backwards, the other thread is still winning.

by Anonymousreply 68November 7, 2022 9:36 PM

Battle of the DL Theater Threads >>> Battle of the Network Stars

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69November 7, 2022 9:40 PM

Who is the bigger cunt: Lupone or Buckley?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70November 7, 2022 9:47 PM

R68 number 52 will be titled ‘Come Back, Little Renba’

by Anonymousreply 71November 7, 2022 9:49 PM

Patti is a pain in the ass, Betty is an all-out toxic cunt.

by Anonymousreply 72November 7, 2022 10:39 PM

Worst threads ever?

by Anonymousreply 73November 8, 2022 12:16 AM

[quote] Worst threads ever?

There’s a reason we call OP “the loon”

by Anonymousreply 74November 8, 2022 12:18 AM

Oh god, get over yourselves R73 R74

Projecting much? You’re on this site for losers too, therefore you’re both losers.

by Anonymousreply 75November 8, 2022 12:41 AM

Patti is being relegated to Zoom concerts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76November 8, 2022 12:49 AM

No dick-yanking during Patti's Zoom concerts or you'll hear about it.

by Anonymousreply 77November 8, 2022 12:53 AM

Stage, TV and film writer-director Douglas McGrath, who earned a Tony nomination for "Beautiful: The Carole King Musical" and an Oscar nod for the "Bullets Over Broadway" screenplay he co-wrote with Woody Allen, died Thursday. He was 64.

The death was announced by the producers of McGrath's solo off-Broadway show, "Everything's Fine," which opened last month. A show representative said the cause was a heart attack. McGrath had written and was starring in "Everything's Fine," and was directed by John Lithgow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78November 8, 2022 1:04 AM

Just based on my own observation of their public behavior and things they have said and done over the years, seems to me that Patti is basically stable from a mental health standpoint but she's a narcissist who can become tremendously mean and bitchy when people aren't sucking up to her, whereas Betty is mentally unhinged.

by Anonymousreply 79November 8, 2022 1:12 AM

When I was a teenager, I saw Patti in concert at the massive theatre at the Orange County Performing Arts Center. It was shortly before she was to go into rehearsals for Master Class. (in London, I think?) I was clearly a theatre geek because I somehow knew all this well before social media.

If I recall correctly, her series of concerts were a last minute replacement for a national tour of some musical which got canceled. I stage doored, gave her some flowers and wished her "good luck with Master Class in London", her companions (two men... not sure who they were) guffawed and parroted back "good luck" to me. I understand why they did -- it could have sounded insulting. But, Patti didn't take it that way. She ignored them, took the flowers, smiled warmly, and said "thank you, doll!" and then spent a solid five or six minutes engaging me in conversation, asking me if I had aspirations of working in the theatre (I, foolishly, did at the time) and giving me some advice -- I was so surprised that she would take the time to do that for some random kid. I grew up in the UK and she noticed I still had my accent, perhaps thinking I still lived there, and asked one of the men to give me a card and told me to call the number when I was back in London and she'd have house seats waiting for me.

Don't get me wrong. I'm sure she absolutely can be a cunt. I have no doubt about that. And, as an adult, I don't really 'get' stagedooring or autograph seeking, but I do fondly remember her kindness that night.

by Anonymousreply 80November 8, 2022 1:52 AM

Almost Famous played like shite this evening. It has no reason to exist. DOA

by Anonymousreply 81November 8, 2022 1:54 AM

R80, I'm not remotely surprised that Patti was so nice to you that night, because why wouldn't she be? You were obviously a fan, you brought her flowers, and you wished her well in her next endeavor. But if you ever worked with her and if she ever felt, however irrationally, that you were a threat to her or competition for her, or that you didn't give her 100 percent of the respect she deserved, I suspect it would have been a very different story.

News flash -- even people who are basically bitches are very likely to behave like angels in certain situations, and vice-versa. Very few people are mean or lovely ALL the time.

by Anonymousreply 82November 8, 2022 2:47 AM

I sat center orchestra for the tour for Betty Buckley’s Hello Dolly in Louisville.

It’s possible I was the only queen on the audience and so I gave her the admiration she deserved.

As such…she pitched a lot of her performance to me.

This is why Divas and gay men audiences are good for eachother.

by Anonymousreply 83November 8, 2022 3:01 AM

R82 Why shouldn't people respect her, and her work ethic?

by Anonymousreply 84November 8, 2022 4:03 AM

[quote] Can you imagine a Broadway star saying something like that to some twink he had only just met at a gay bar? I guess we can assume NL was in his cups at the time, but still.....

Lea Michele was calling understudies “roaches” in front of random twinks when she was a mere 19.

by Anonymousreply 85November 8, 2022 5:17 AM

Lea Michele terrorized her understudy when they were both barely double digits.

by Anonymousreply 86November 8, 2022 5:20 AM

[quote]No dick-yanking during Patti's Zoom concerts.

Somehow I don't think this will be much of a problem.

by Anonymousreply 87November 8, 2022 8:17 AM

Any further word on the Sondheim memorial? I heard from someone in the know that it will be next week, at the SS theater, and will not include musical tributes. My source was someone who was invited. Any more info?

by Anonymousreply 88November 8, 2022 11:58 AM

It's Monday, the 14th

by Anonymousreply 89November 8, 2022 12:04 PM

No *live* musical tributes.

by Anonymousreply 90November 8, 2022 12:07 PM

Will someone who's attending report back, pease?

by Anonymousreply 91November 8, 2022 12:11 PM

Who the HELL do you think you are?

by Anonymousreply 92November 8, 2022 12:13 PM

Is mlop invited to the Sondheim memorial? I'd love to hear her take on it.

by Anonymousreply 93November 8, 2022 12:24 PM

Sorry, R84, my phrasing was poor. Of course LuPone deserves respect for her work ethic. What I meant was that, based on my reading of her own memoir, she could be extremely bitchy towards people and begin bad-mouthing them if they didn't fawn all over her or if she felt even slightly threatened by them, however irrationally, while they were working together. Again, HER OWN MEMOIR is literally filled with stories that support this view of her. Have you not read that memoir, which almost reads like a book-length enemies list? Because I can't understand how anyone who read it could not feel that she's a vindictive narcissist at heart.

by Anonymousreply 94November 8, 2022 12:27 PM

I am not allowed to report back. Just know that it will be wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 95November 8, 2022 1:23 PM

r95, is there an NDA? Who would know if you spilled the beans?

by Anonymousreply 96November 8, 2022 2:08 PM

Patti Lupone is Madeline Ashton, except she doesn’t care if she looks old.

by Anonymousreply 97November 8, 2022 2:23 PM

Patti LuPone is Madeline Ashton’s CHARWOMAN.

by Anonymousreply 98November 8, 2022 2:39 PM

R94 Just finished the memoir. She hates amatuers and people who she feels are not committed to the work at hand.

by Anonymousreply 99November 8, 2022 5:02 PM

And yet her Les Miz stint doesn't paint her as committed, coke fiend that she was.

by Anonymousreply 100November 8, 2022 5:03 PM

[quote]Just finished the memoir. She hates amatuers and people who she feels are not committed to the work at hand.

I'm sure that's exactly what she wanted you to take away from that book, but some of us had a very different reaction.

by Anonymousreply 101November 8, 2022 5:28 PM

[quote] "Broadway Marks Election Day 2022" by Playbill's Leah Putnam - "Four shows which normally hold Tuesday evening performances that will not take the stage this week are Into the Woods, Almost Famous, MJ, and SIX. The Phantom of the Opera will also be dark on Election Day, and every Tuesday following through December 13. Why is Phantom taking Tuesday nights off

by Anonymousreply 102November 8, 2022 5:44 PM

Taco Tuesday?

by Anonymousreply 103November 8, 2022 6:20 PM

They're adding Sundays at 5. Interesting.

by Anonymousreply 104November 8, 2022 7:01 PM

Because of the Sondheim obsessive on this site, I thought you may find this of interest. James Lapine was invited by Christie’s to speak in relation to a very rare and important Seurat that is coming up for auction from the Microsoft cofounder Paul Allen. He discusses a lot of what went into the creation of Sunday in the Park with George. The painting is gorgeous and it’s heartbreaking to think it will probably go into a vault in Saudi Arabia or Asia and not a museum where it belongs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105November 9, 2022 2:06 AM

In other news, it turns out that Rob McClure and Lena Hall are SPECTACULAR replacements in Little Shop.

McClure channels Wilkof's original sweet but pathetic energy brilliantly and plays it straight. Hall is doing something entirely new with that part that I find sexy and thrilling and slightly unhinged. It's a shame McClure isn't going to be in it for much longer...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106November 9, 2022 4:37 AM

Yeah, we heard you when you said it the first time in the real thread, R106.

by Anonymousreply 107November 9, 2022 4:40 AM

And I appreciated it both times r106. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 108November 9, 2022 7:48 AM

For Little Shop, Matt Doyle joins the cast on Nov 15 and is out Nov 17-20. What’s up with these actors treating their jobs like a hobby?

by Anonymousreply 109November 9, 2022 7:59 AM

That Suddenly Seymour clip is wonderful. How fun to see a different take on Audrey that actually works. Love her accent.

by Anonymousreply 110November 9, 2022 9:36 AM

Sorry, r107, I posted it on the other thread -- and I'm not r106. But thanks for playing. No need to be a jerk for no reason now, is there?

r108, keep on keeping on.

by Anonymousreply 111November 9, 2022 12:06 PM

oh, and r107 I just looked through all your posts and you're generally pretty toxic and boring.

by Anonymousreply 112November 9, 2022 12:08 PM

When Tammy Blanchard was in Little Shop she was out quite a bit. Not sure if she ever played 8 shows a week. Skylar Aston left early to do a tv series. McClure and Pinkham were in it for a hot minute. Hopefully Lena Hall will stick around for a bit.

by Anonymousreply 113November 9, 2022 12:16 PM

I wonder where McClure is going. He's been in so many flops I presumed he would stick around and see what an actual run is like.

by Anonymousreply 114November 9, 2022 12:37 PM

McClure is so skilled, but never quite convincing.

by Anonymousreply 115November 9, 2022 12:38 PM

McClure is always working way too hard. Not interested.

by Anonymousreply 116November 9, 2022 12:47 PM

R106, that clip is really great. Thank you.

Lena Hall is a wonderful performer. I'm not sure if this has been mentioned lately, but although I liked Tammy Blanchard as Audrey overall, the key of "Suddenly Seymour" had to be lowered a bit for her. Nice to have it back to the original now.

by Anonymousreply 117November 9, 2022 1:06 PM

Is Little Shop the new Chicago with its constantly changing cast?

by Anonymousreply 118November 9, 2022 1:08 PM

I went recently to see McClure and Hall. Both are very good in the show, though the hard-as-nails approach to Audrey flattens the comedy. The production is still leagues and miles better than the 2003 Broadway production, though I am beginning to think Ashman's original production can just never be topped, especially in how he managed the tricky tone of the show. Somehow, everything worked in the original, generating euphoria.

by Anonymousreply 119November 9, 2022 1:18 PM

Thanks for the report r119. I can’t decide whether to go but I bet sales have been good since that video.

[Quote] the hard-as-nails approach to Audrey flattens the comedy.

But isn’t Michael Mayer a comedy [italic] genius [/italic] ?

by Anonymousreply 120November 9, 2022 1:36 PM

[quote] Sorry, [R107], I posted it on the other thread -- and I'm not [R106]. But thanks for playing.

Good for you. The person I was addressing posted it on both threads at the same time. But thanks for playing.

by Anonymousreply 121November 9, 2022 2:37 PM

[quote] But isn’t Michael Mayer a comedy genius ?

R120, I'd rate him as the third worst director in New York, just behind the Scotts - Ellis and Elliott. The production still largely works almost in spite of him - I think a testament to the strength of the material.

by Anonymousreply 122November 9, 2022 3:27 PM

[quote] I'd rate him as the third worst director in New York, just behind the Scotts - Ellis and Elliott.

do you rate directors by how bad their worst shows were or how good their best were, or general averaged track-record? Mayer I think is the most overrated, although he did some good work. But the bad far outnumbers the good. I don't think Elliott ever did great work. Ellis seems middle of the road, rarely excellent, rarely terrible.

by Anonymousreply 123November 9, 2022 4:48 PM

I think the worst irksome thing about Mayer and Ellis is how badly they murder classic musicals in their misbegotten revivals. Mayer with On a Clear Day and Funny Girl and Ellis with She Loves Me (his 2nd attempt), On the 20th Century and Kiss Me Kate, to name only a few from each of them. Oh, and Mayer's work at the Met is truly atrocious and taste-free.

by Anonymousreply 124November 9, 2022 6:10 PM

Mayer really did some excellent work in the beginning. I have no idea what happened to him. Scott Elliott is a dreadful director, and has been since day one. And yes, Ellis is middle of the road. I've enjoyed a number of things he's directed over the years, though nothing recently.

by Anonymousreply 125November 9, 2022 6:11 PM

I include Ellis in the unholy trinity due to his revival of The Boys from Syracuse for Roundabout. It remains, to date, the worst musical revival I think I've seen on any stage. Ugly, cheap, mirthless and inept.

by Anonymousreply 126November 9, 2022 6:32 PM

I doubt it was as bad as ONCE UOPN A MATTRESS. That would be my pick.

by Anonymousreply 127November 9, 2022 7:44 PM

Mattress was also horrible. But Boys from Syracuse was worse.

by Anonymousreply 128November 9, 2022 7:48 PM

Although it's a fairly close contest, I would still say that Elliott is a significantly worse director than the other two in terms of overall rack record. I'm not sure that I've even seen a single good show directed by him. I've always thought that the only reason he still has any kind of a career is because he seems to be firmly ensconced as artistic director of The New Group and, for whatever reasons, it seems he cannot be removed even though he keeps producing and or directing one horrible show after another.

by Anonymousreply 129November 9, 2022 7:49 PM

Encores did such a wonderful "Boys From Syracuse" with its superb Rodgers & Hart score, that it is truly amazing that someone was able to muck up another Broadway production when they don't trust the material.

by Anonymousreply 130November 9, 2022 7:53 PM

[quote]Encores did such a wonderful "Boys From Syracuse" with its superb Rodgers & Hart score, that it is truly amazing that someone was able to muck up another Broadway production when they don't trust the material.

No one has yet mentioned this, but a major reason why that production was so putrid was that, aside from the inept direction, the book of the show was completely rewritten by Nicky Silver. This only very shortly after the Encores! production had proven that the show still plays beautifully with its original book, if it's well directed and performed. I'll tell ya, the inmates were really running the asylum in that one.

by Anonymousreply 131November 9, 2022 8:05 PM

Remember the sets, R131, that looked like corrugated cardboard? And how poor Georgia Engel seemed humiliated by her cameo appearance?

Although when it comes to humiliating a cast, nothing compares with Scott Elliott's staging for the curtain call for The Women at that same theatre, where he made those poor ladies walk out in their underwear.

by Anonymousreply 132November 9, 2022 8:22 PM

[quote]I'd rate him as the third worst director in New York, just behind the Scotts - Ellis and Elliott.

Hey, what about me?!

by Anonymousreply 133November 9, 2022 8:38 PM

Rob Ashford has to be the WORST choreographer working in the musical theatre today. His overly busy, unnecessarily complicated choreography never has ANYTHING to do with the characters or storytelling happening on stage. How he gets these assignments is beyond me.

His "Brotherhood of Man" with Radcliffe is one of the most glaring examples. What the hell do any of those ridiculous arm movements have to do with Finch or any of those 1960 Mad Men types? It's not comedic, it's not even ironic. It's totally out of place and only serves to remind the audience "boy, those are a lot of intricate steps!" Total fail. Especially as compared to the original, or even Wayne Cilento's character (and period) driven choreo from the '95 revival. There's no joy, just a lot of work on display.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134November 9, 2022 8:48 PM

[quote]Although when it comes to humiliating a cast, nothing compares with Scott Elliott's staging for the curtain call for The Women at that same theatre,

"At that same theatre" being the operative phrase here. The Roundabout sure has had lots of stinkers over the decades, and that's mostly because their artistic director, while he may be perceived as a successful businessman, is a sheer disaster as an artist. So maybe he should have taken another title and let someone else make the artistic decisions all these years?

by Anonymousreply 135November 9, 2022 9:13 PM

Scott Ellis gets a lot of credit for the first revival of She Loves Me. Everything else (including Tootsie, Drood, Steel Pier, Company, 1776, 20th Century, etc.) was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 136November 9, 2022 9:35 PM

Gee, this thread is a turd.

by Anonymousreply 137November 9, 2022 9:38 PM

I think that first revival of She Loves Me benefitted HUGELY from great casting (which as Mike Nichols was always quick to admit is 90% of directing). Howard McGillin was especially wonderful as Kodaly. I thought the most recent revival, even with Benanti, was plodding and pedantic. And Gavin Creel was hugely miscast...he's no comedic character lead!

I will say that I thought Ellis' production of DROOD in 2012 was quite excellent. Of course, it was aided by Rupert Holmes substantial tweaks and edits to his book and score which tightened and clarified things. The orchestrations however PALED in comparison to the Holmes/Starobin originals from '85. I think those DX7 synths in the original score added SO much to the proceedings (not to mention an actual string section!)

by Anonymousreply 138November 9, 2022 9:39 PM

It must’ve been directed by one of the Scotts

by Anonymousreply 139November 9, 2022 9:39 PM

Almost all (or maybe all?) of these Scott Ellis-directed grotesque misconceptions have been for the Roundabout. You'll notice commercial producers never hire him. What he must have over Todd Haimes is anybody's guess.

As for Scott Elliott, there was some production (or maybe 2) he directed off-Broadway in the late 1990s that got him loads of attention. I remember even a cover story in the Sunday NY Times magazine about him, though I can't remember what those shows were. Anybody? They led to Elliott getting the plum assignment of directing Frank Langella in that Broadway revival of Present Laughter that got rather mixed reviews, IIRC. After that it was all downhill for Elliott.

And finally, are NY producers now immune to Rob Ashford's meagre talents? He hasn't directed or even choreographed anything in NY in quite a while, right?

by Anonymousreply 140November 9, 2022 9:44 PM

For me Stroman is, hands down, the absolute worst director. EVERYTHING she touches, sucks

by Anonymousreply 141November 9, 2022 9:46 PM

Didn't Stro begin her directing career as Scott Ellis' assistant back in the 80s on And the World Goes Round and the Flora, the Red Menace revival at the Vineyard?

Makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 142November 9, 2022 9:51 PM

Scott Ellis and Michael Mayer have done some excellent work, and I think even Mayer's failures can be interesting or thought provoking. Scott Elliott is just awful and I can't think of one show he's done that was any good.

But you're all forgetting the worst director currently on Broadway- Kathleen "Cruise Ship" Marshall.

by Anonymousreply 143November 9, 2022 10:16 PM

I'd also like to point out that the execrable revival of THE WOMEN at the Roundabout was directed by Scott Elliott, not Scott Ellis.

by Anonymousreply 144November 9, 2022 10:19 PM

R134, I agree. I hated the choreography to Brotherhood of Man. I love the show, but seeing that number on the Tonys made me lose interest in seeing the show.

I just noticed that David Hull, who played White Josh on Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is in the ensemble in Brotherhood of Man on the front right side of the screen.

Link to some nice pics of David Hull.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145November 9, 2022 10:22 PM

[quote]But you're all forgetting the worst director currently on Broadway- Kathleen "Cruise Ship" Marshall.

Agreed, but her last Broadway credits was in 2016, and she doesn't have all that many credits, so I don't think she was ever considered to be all that.

by Anonymousreply 146November 9, 2022 10:38 PM

Speaking of Rob Ashford, how did his star dancer Charlie W get so ugly? I barely recognize him now.

by Anonymousreply 147November 9, 2022 10:54 PM

[quote] As for Scott Elliott, there was some production (or maybe 2) he directed off-Broadway in the late 1990s that got him loads of attention.

The gig that put Elliott on the map was Mike Leigh's Ecstasy. I thought it was quite a bore, but Caroline Seymour was fascinating. WHET her?

by Anonymousreply 148November 9, 2022 11:35 PM

I'm not sure what you mean, R147. He looks fine in this video from a year ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149November 10, 2022 1:15 AM

Calling back to the topic of The Producers from the original #500 thread -- you can see Stro and her stage management (Zweigbaum and Carlyle) put the Australian production of the show on its feet in this great hour long doc. It goes from the casting/audition process through Opening with Mel.

Stroman seems pretty cold and calculating in her "directing"...especially around the 16 minute mark as she meets the company and gets "King of Broadway" up on its feet. The company energy until opening night is pretty on edge. These are major Aussie theatre stars and they all seem a bit "handcuffed" throughout the process. A fascinating watch!

There's also some great B-roll clips of Marty Short and Jason Alexander in the LA production at the beginning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150November 10, 2022 1:32 AM

What’s David Hull doing now? Loved him on Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, and he had a small role in the first season of Insecure. Haven’t seen him since, sadly.

by Anonymousreply 151November 10, 2022 1:51 AM

Kathleen Marshall was resident choreographer at Encores. She was the one who decided the Hair cast would not shed their clothes.

Hack!

by Anonymousreply 152November 10, 2022 2:02 AM

Marshall also had a huge hit in London recently recreating her Anything Goes with Sutton F. I only saw it on TV and thought it was dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 153November 10, 2022 2:46 AM

IIRC Kathleen Marshall was actually the artistic director at Encores for at least a few years, not just resident choreographer (does such a position even exist there?).

by Anonymousreply 154November 10, 2022 2:48 AM

R147 Get the fuck out of here you blind, car wash cunt. Charlie is dreamy.

by Anonymousreply 155November 10, 2022 3:02 AM

Ellis does well with plays. Take Me Out, 12 Angey Men etc. Elliott is the worst

by Anonymousreply 156November 10, 2022 3:36 AM

Tyler Mount is exhausting. Not in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 157November 10, 2022 12:11 PM

Ellis' direction of Take Me Out was nowhere near as good as Joe Mantello's in the original production.

by Anonymousreply 158November 10, 2022 12:48 PM

Tom Kitt seems to turn up all the time. WEHT to Brian Yorkey and that partnership?

by Anonymousreply 159November 10, 2022 4:49 PM

Tom Kitt is handsome, amiable and efficient. That goes a long way these days on Broadway. Does he ever initiate projects? I'm not sure, but he seems more like a composer for hire once a producer or writer has a concept or buys the rights to the original source material.

by Anonymousreply 160November 10, 2022 5:00 PM

How many flops will he be allowed?

by Anonymousreply 161November 10, 2022 5:15 PM

Very interesting regarding data and dish regarding the Phantom closing, it appears that the show REALLY was in bad shape the whole post Covid “reopen” with the foreign tourists awol, and that it was being kept up by Cameron to make it to the anniversary in January. He has no intention of opening a cheaper version, and Lord Andrew only wants to talk about Bad Cinderella.

by Anonymousreply 162November 10, 2022 5:44 PM

Brian Yorkey moved into television, R159. He was behind Netflix' 13 Reasons Why and other YA series.

by Anonymousreply 163November 10, 2022 6:05 PM

I wonder if that disastrous musical at the Public, was it called The Visitor, didn't break up Kitt and Yorkey forever? The one starring David Hyde Pierce that Ariel Stachel notoriously quit? Wasn't Yorkey banned from rehearsals or did he just walk away from it?

by Anonymousreply 164November 10, 2022 6:08 PM

Phantom ain’t closing

by Anonymousreply 165November 10, 2022 6:45 PM

"How many flops will he be allowed?"

Thank God someone is finally asking this of someone else.

by Anonymousreply 166November 10, 2022 6:49 PM

Who will be the new Thursday night Fanny when Julie Benko leaves FG for Harmony? I’ve heard she’s leaving in January.

by Anonymousreply 167November 10, 2022 7:56 PM

THE VISITOR was disastrous in terms of public relations, but as a piece of theatre, it was far from that. In fact, I'd dare to say it's better than many if not most of the new musicals that have popped up Off-Broadway since things reopened. I went expecting a colossal turkey and instead saw something quite good that had instead been destroyed by outside forces. I was floored.

I wonder if we'll ever get the full story of what happened.

by Anonymousreply 168November 10, 2022 8:18 PM

[quote]How many flops will he be allowed?

I’m still trying to get an answer to that question

by Anonymousreply 169November 10, 2022 8:57 PM

I resemble that remark!

by Anonymousreply 170November 10, 2022 9:45 PM

Was Boyd Gaines the ideal George in She Loves Me?

by Anonymousreply 171November 10, 2022 9:51 PM

[quote]THE VISITOR was disastrous in terms of public relations, but as a piece of theatre, it was far from that. In fact, I'd dare to say it's better than many if not most of the new musicals that have popped up Off-Broadway since things reopened. I went expecting a colossal turkey and instead saw something quite good that had instead been destroyed by outside forces. I was floored. I wonder if we'll ever get the full story of what happened.

I agree with you to a certain point. There was a lot in the show that was good, but much of it was so terribly bleeding-heart earnest and overly sentimental that it was very hard to take, at least for me. I do think what happened behind the scenes was awful, even though I'm not sure we got the full story. Whatever, Ari'el Stachel came across very badly from what was reported.

by Anonymousreply 172November 10, 2022 9:56 PM

R171 No, Daniel Massey was. Gaines didn't sing it that well, and they cut "Tango Tragique", which still hasn't been restored in the last revival.

by Anonymousreply 173November 10, 2022 9:58 PM

R173, do you really miss "Tango Tragique" so much? It's a weird song in very questionable taste.

by Anonymousreply 174November 10, 2022 10:02 PM

Stachel seems to like sabotaging what little he has left of a career, he whined that cutting him out of Don't Worry Darling was racism

by Anonymousreply 175November 10, 2022 10:04 PM

R174 It's the hardest song for George in terms of vocal range, and it's a big off-putting, but the idea of it is to gross Amalia out and start her screaming in the cafe.

by Anonymousreply 176November 10, 2022 10:05 PM

Kitt is the epitome of mediocrity. And he does seem to have an inordinate number of flops.

by Anonymousreply 177November 10, 2022 11:13 PM

a beautiful noise was.... something. The audience was so rude and tacky from minute 1. People really thought they were at a singalong, even during quiet ballads.

I'm not knowledgeable about Neil Diamond but liked the performance scenes. The rest was kind of cliche, Walk Hard level biopic writing. "Touring is hard on relationships/the crew is like family..."

The dancers, called The Beautiful Noise, were fun and I think captured the 60s/70s moves you'd see in old variety shows. They were pretty active throughout the show.

Will Swenson got a wolf whistle from one of the many drunks in the audience!

I felt like the Sopranos crew was commenting behind me. They were unintentionally funny in their ignorance. These old drunks couldn't stop playing w phones, talking in full voice during quiet scenes. Ushers were on top of it, but damn!

I think this is going to last awhile.

by Anonymousreply 178November 11, 2022 12:42 AM

[quote]Was Boyd Gaines the ideal George in She Loves Me?

Cue the "Boyd Gaines isn't doing well" troll in 5, 4, 3 . . .

by Anonymousreply 179November 11, 2022 12:51 AM

Is it true that the play coming in with Audra McDonald is only like 60 minutes long or so?

by Anonymousreply 180November 11, 2022 1:27 AM

[quote] Is it true that the play coming in with Audra McDonald is only like 60 minutes long or so?

Girlfriend has to get to Chipotle before they close.

by Anonymousreply 181November 11, 2022 1:35 AM

Now that it's been in previews a bit longer, I figure more of you have seen Some Like It Hot... what's the verdict?

by Anonymousreply 182November 11, 2022 3:01 AM

[Quote] Cue the "Boyd Gaines isn't doing well" troll in 5, 4, 3 . . .

Don't!

by Anonymousreply 183November 11, 2022 3:12 AM

[quote]It's the hardest song for George in terms of vocal range, and it's a big off-putting, but the idea of it is to gross Amalia out and start her screaming in the cafe.

In my opinion, that long, not particularly good or funny song is really not necessary to motivate Amalia making a scene in the cafe.

by Anonymousreply 184November 11, 2022 3:21 AM

There's a Chipotle directly across the street from the theater she'll be performing in!

by Anonymousreply 185November 11, 2022 4:12 AM

Bock and Harnick had it in the show originally, and since they've wrote "Fiddler" and "Fiorello", and had it on the album, I'd say their instincts are more pertinent.

by Anonymousreply 186November 11, 2022 4:14 AM

R182 it grossed $539,593 the previous week. That's not good, is it?

The big hits are grossing over $1 million weekly. For instance, FUNNY GIRL grossed $1.6 million and was #5 for the week (after MUSIC MAN, HAMILTON, THE LION KING, MJ).

by Anonymousreply 187November 11, 2022 8:49 AM

Jesse Green’s rave review for Kimberly Akimbo is actually very sweet, matching the tone of the musical. I hope the show finds an audience.

by Anonymousreply 188November 11, 2022 9:04 AM

[quote] There's a Chipotle directly across the street from the theater she'll be performing in!

You obviously know nothing about our Audra.

She has to cross the battlefield, which some people call the “fans at the stage door.” FanBattle Fatigue sets in and by the time she pulls her wounded body up to Chipotle’s door, they will be closed. She should get a Purple Heart for bravery.

In today’s Broadway environment, you can’t expect performers to put aside their personal needs for their work demands.

by Anonymousreply 189November 11, 2022 10:08 AM

I agree, R188 - it's a lovely review. And it hadn't occurred to me before that Kimberley is an echo of Clara in The Light in the Piazza.

But Jesse, please - we can do without the 'nerdical'. Call it a fucking musical. It's the Sixes and Moulin Rouges and the other tourist shit that deserve an apologetic misnomer.

by Anonymousreply 190November 11, 2022 10:11 AM

[quote] FanBattle Fatigue sets in and by the time she pulls her wounded body up to Chipotle’s door, they will be closed.

Uber Eats.

by Anonymousreply 191November 11, 2022 10:28 AM

I went to Phantom again yesterday after at least 15 years. I had forgotten what an entertaining piece it is. The production still looked very sharp, actually.

But, Holy Fuck, the guy playing Phantom, Ben Crawford, had the most masculine, sexy singing voice I think I’ve ever heard!

Is he gay? He made a few subtle gestures that made me think gay but maybe it’s just his take on the character—but wow was he hunky.

by Anonymousreply 192November 11, 2022 11:47 AM

R184, in the revival, didn't Georg Nowack just speak the story instead of singing it?

by Anonymousreply 193November 11, 2022 11:56 AM

Ben Crawford is very straight and married.

by Anonymousreply 194November 11, 2022 12:38 PM

"How many flops will he be allowed?'

A charter member of the "failing upwards" club, fer sure.

"I hope the show finds an audience."

Now if it could only find a score.

by Anonymousreply 195November 11, 2022 12:47 PM

[Quote] Ben Crawford is very straight and married.

So was Howard McGillin...

by Anonymousreply 196November 11, 2022 12:56 PM

[quote]Bock and Harnick had it in the show originally, and since they've wrote "Fiddler" and "Fiorello", and had it on the album, I'd say their instincts are more pertinent.

"Pertinent?" Odd choice of word. Sorry, but my instinct is that it's just a bit too creepy for George to toy with Amalia by telling her a made-up horror story about a girl who goes on a blind date and ends up being killed and dismembered.

Bock and Harnick and Joe Masteroff were geniuses, but of course, even geniuses can make occasional mistakes.

by Anonymousreply 197November 11, 2022 1:14 PM

I’ve got a big dick, too.

by Anonymousreply 198November 11, 2022 1:25 PM

Sheldon Harnick also famously wrote these lyrics for Marie in "The Very Next Man" in FIORELLO:

And if he likes me

Who cares how frequently he strikes me?

I'll fetch his slippers with my arm in a sling

Just for the privilege of wearing his ring

by Anonymousreply 199November 11, 2022 1:29 PM

Years later, Harnick realized those were offensive, so he rewrote them:

And if he sucks me, who cares how frequently he fucks me/I’ll tongue his asshole if he didn’t eat corn, just like the ladies do when they’re filming porn.

by Anonymousreply 200November 11, 2022 1:35 PM

So last night I saw a completely unnecessary play called CAMP SIEGFRIED at 2nd Stage about 2 teenagers at an American Nazi youth camp on Long Island in 1938. Fascinating subject but dead directionless play.

Anyway, DL Broadway legend Barbara Barrie was sitting behind me and about 20 minutes into the play, after muttering constantly to her seatmates (who I don't think were actually with her) that she couldn't hear or understand understand the actors (I had the same issue), apologized to everyone in her row and got up because she said she had a "bathroom emergency." She huffed down the steps to the lobby only to be told by the fierce young usher at the bottom of the steps that she couldn't exit that way and, after arguing with the usher ("Do you know who I am?"), had to go all the way back up the steps to leave the house. It was the high point of the evening. She never returned. I wish I had followed her instead of watching this mind-numbing play.

by Anonymousreply 201November 11, 2022 1:45 PM

"It's a weird song in very questionable taste."

Which is, of course, the whole point. But how anyone could find the deliberately silly song offensive is beyond me.

But to assuage the snowflakes who are triggered by it, it's omitted from the libretto licensed by MTI.

by Anonymousreply 202November 11, 2022 2:02 PM

R202, no need to be so nasty. I find the song only very mildly "offensive," but I think it's a waste of time, and also, it paints a poor picture of George that he would say (or sing) those things to Amalia, even in jest.

I think we can assume that some or all of the writers eventually came to have the same opinion, or they would not have agreed to the song's removal from the licensed materials. So, do you consider the writers to be "snowflakes" as well?

by Anonymousreply 203November 11, 2022 2:30 PM

[Quote] Ben Crawford is very straight and married.

Damn

by Anonymousreply 204November 11, 2022 2:59 PM

R202, the "Tango Tragique" story is there but as dialog instead of a song.

by Anonymousreply 205November 11, 2022 5:40 PM

THE VISITOR was one of the worst pieces of shit I've ever seen. Especially the 2.5 hour version of the show before they got down to 90-ish minutes. It was absolute hack work all around, and the audience was groaning throughout. I tried listening to the album and had to turn it off after just a few minutes, it's interminable.

by Anonymousreply 206November 11, 2022 6:10 PM

I saw a very early, pre-pandemic workshop of THE VISITOR with Mandy Patinkin in the Richard Jenkins role and Haaz Sleiman as the young guy, a role he originated in the film, and Montego Glover as his girlfriend.

They were all quite wonderful, even Mandy who I don't usually love, but he gave a very modest, simple and sincere performance. I wonder why Mandy didn't ultimately do the show and if they even offered sexy Haaz his part?

by Anonymousreply 207November 11, 2022 6:22 PM

Does anyone know how long ago Carolee Carmelo and Gregg Edelman parted ways? These Broadway divorces tend to happen so quietly compared to Hollywood...

by Anonymousreply 208November 11, 2022 7:00 PM

Well, they'r barely famous, so...

by Anonymousreply 209November 11, 2022 7:03 PM

What actually happened with The Visitor - the delayed opening, the replacement of the actor, etc?

by Anonymousreply 210November 11, 2022 7:03 PM

Holy hell, KPOP was terrible. How did this make it to Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 211November 11, 2022 7:49 PM

[quote]Well, they're barely famous, so...

Isn't "Barely Famous" the newest flop musical based on a movie?

by Anonymousreply 212November 11, 2022 7:50 PM

Carmello & Edelman divorced at least five years ago; maybe more.

by Anonymousreply 213November 11, 2022 9:03 PM

Someone should THE VISITOR and THE FUCKING VISIT in rep.

by Anonymousreply 214November 11, 2022 9:16 PM

R213, they were divorced in 2015, but I don't remember how long they were broken up before that.

by Anonymousreply 215November 11, 2022 9:23 PM

I remember Rex Reed reviewing the Joel Grey Cabaret revival and saying how Greg Edelman was not remotely believable as someone men and women would be throwing themselves at. I saw the show. Rex was right. But he does have a lovely singing voice and liked him in Wonderful Town.

by Anonymousreply 216November 11, 2022 9:53 PM

And John Benjamin Hickey seems irresistible to both sexes?

by Anonymousreply 217November 11, 2022 10:20 PM

Lea is out of Funny Girl tonite. Hurt her back. Doctors orders.

by Anonymousreply 218November 11, 2022 10:34 PM

[quote] They were all quite wonderful, even Mandy who I don't usually love, but he gave a very modest, simple and sincere performance.

When Mandy dials it back, which is very capable of, he can give truly amazing performances. Saul on Homeland was quite wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 219November 11, 2022 10:36 PM

not on stage.

by Anonymousreply 220November 11, 2022 10:54 PM

Now do we have to see Kimberly akimbo? Valdemort triumphs

by Anonymousreply 221November 12, 2022 12:07 AM

[Quote] Hurt her back.

We keep the wigs on a high shelf for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 222November 12, 2022 1:38 AM

It's not like Greg Edelmann in "Cabaret" as Cliff has much to sing either, so not sure why he was cast. He has a lovely voice. His acting got better doing a character part in the last revival of " Drood" though, but then again with Chita's unknown/weird English accent, helped his part of the equation in that production.

by Anonymousreply 223November 12, 2022 1:42 AM

It's always bothered me that no one has tried to do a version of Cabaret with Clifford being actually gay.

The "Clifford loves Sally" plot is so stupid and fake.

It's too bad Kander & Ebb didn't do an alternate version with gay Cliff. And, this way, Cliff could actually be an interesting character with songs to sing instead of the boring dull character he is now.

by Anonymousreply 224November 12, 2022 1:51 AM

R223. Cliff sang DON’T GO in that revival. That and the extra cabaret numbers added for Grey made the show very long.

by Anonymousreply 225November 12, 2022 2:31 AM

R225 I did the show years ago, as Clifford, (awful character), and had two songs, Why Should I Wake Up and the Telephone song, which is minimal singing. I liked, Wake Up, a good soar song, but made no sense being sung about Sally...

by Anonymousreply 226November 12, 2022 2:38 AM

But there are some lines in the original script where Sally questions Cliff's sexual orientation, aren't there?

by Anonymousreply 227November 12, 2022 2:43 AM

I've never really seen Sally and Cliff as a couple. The older couple are the lovers. The younger two need comfort/family and find it in each other for a little while.

by Anonymousreply 228November 12, 2022 2:49 AM

R227 In the original musical....not that I remember.

by Anonymousreply 229November 12, 2022 2:55 AM

Absolutely no way is Cliff gay!

by Anonymousreply 230November 12, 2022 3:29 AM

I’m pretty sure Cliff kissed a guy in the long-running Roundabout revival

by Anonymousreply 231November 12, 2022 3:59 AM

R226, doesn’t Cliff also sing the final verse of “Perfectly Marvelous”?

by Anonymousreply 232November 12, 2022 4:02 AM

Cliff don’t go for clit.

by Anonymousreply 233November 12, 2022 4:15 AM

The new London production cast a very gay Cliff

by Anonymousreply 234November 12, 2022 4:38 AM

You queens are something. in Cabaret, the Cliff - Sally relationship is about what the rest of the show is about (because, it's well written, you know?). Cliff isn't a heartthrob or a sexy romantic lead. Sally and Cliff find each other because they're opposites, each seeking what the other has. He's in a foreign country, tempted by the seemingly exotic, and she's looking for stability and American simplicity so she can turn off the scary outside world.

Sure, the Edelman/Reed pairing was wasn't one of the show 's strongest, but it was all a vehicle for Grey that time around. Resnik and Klemperer were the surprises. But Hickey and his replacements in the original Mendes-Marshall Broadway production were just right.

by Anonymousreply 235November 12, 2022 10:53 AM

PS Cliff is too uptight - especially in that world at that time - to be out-out gay. And it always played to me that he's clutching onto a relationship with Sally to suppress any gay feelings.

by Anonymousreply 236November 12, 2022 10:55 AM

Cliff ain’t’ no faggot and I’m the dame that can prove it!

by Anonymousreply 237November 12, 2022 11:42 AM

I think Christopher Isherwood’s time in Berlin was his time of experimentation. He was leaving his uptight British background, where homosexuality was illegal, and finding freedom in Berlin. It was his time of deciding whether he was bisexual or gay.

Cabaret is based on one of his many stories written in that time period. Obviously, the Broadway musical imposed a love story on the material even though it’s not in the original source material.

by Anonymousreply 238November 12, 2022 11:56 AM

No meek closeted gay has ever fallen in love with an outrageous ugly or fat woman.

by Anonymousreply 239November 12, 2022 12:53 PM

Barry Dennen was closeted once upon a time, wasn't he...

by Anonymousreply 240November 12, 2022 12:57 PM

The original Cabaret stage script walked a fine line.

When Sally has her abortion, she says to Cliff, “You would have made a wonderful father.” He then slaps her. Why?

Straight women read the slap as Sally’s being a victim and deciding to abort.

Straight men suspect that Sally was sleeping around and the slap is because Cliff knows the baby wasn’t his.

Gay men just enjoy seeing people get slapped.

Lesbians don’t go to the theater.

by Anonymousreply 241November 12, 2022 1:07 PM

R235, I agree that the show is brilliantly well written, but I really wouldn't say that Sally is "looking for stability and American simplicity so she can turn off the scary outside world." There may be moments when she THINKS she's looking for that, but.....no.

by Anonymousreply 242November 12, 2022 1:47 PM

In the original Broadway libretto for CABARET there was absolutely NO indication, even subtextually, that Cliff, as played by the stalwart and very straight Bert Convy, was gay or even bisexual. He was just a standard leading man in the Rodgers & Hammerstein mold. At least, that's precisely how I remember him from my 4 viewings of the show when I was a precocious teenager in 1967.

Loved Jill Haworth btw!

by Anonymousreply 243November 12, 2022 1:56 PM

the 80s revival has dialogue and action that infer that cliff may be bi at least

by Anonymousreply 244November 12, 2022 1:59 PM

Thanks, I did seem to remember some suggestion that Cliff might be gay or bi in one of the productions I saw. Specifically, I think Sally had a line to Cliff that went something like: "Are you at all homosexual?"

by Anonymousreply 245November 12, 2022 2:01 PM

r, 245, TBH that line may have been in the original production but only got an easy laugh because Bert Cony was clearly such a heterosexualist.

by Anonymousreply 246November 12, 2022 2:26 PM

In the 80s revival it was clear that Cliff was bi. The character was bi in the movie and I guess the creators thought the audience could handle such a shocking revelation on stage. In the 90s revival it seemed like Cliff (who kisses Bobby one of the Kit Kat boys) is clearly gay but dabbling in hereto sex with Sally. It’s also implied that Ernest Ludwig is gay or bi when he makes an unsuccessful pass at Cliff. In the next revival Fraulein Kost and Fraulein Schneider will be scissoring.

by Anonymousreply 247November 12, 2022 2:56 PM

[quote]In the next revival Fraulein Kost and Fraulein Schneider will be scissoring.

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 248November 12, 2022 2:58 PM

Next version of "Cabaret" will be inspired by the movie "Showgirls" with lots more tits and ass.

by Anonymousreply 249November 12, 2022 3:38 PM

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I thought the Mendes' revival was trying too hard to be shocking/provocative, and I found Alan Cummings cringeworthy. I rolled my eyes a lot.

by Anonymousreply 250November 12, 2022 3:44 PM

[quote]Probably an unpopular opinion, but I thought the Mendes' revival was trying too hard to be shocking/provocative, and I found Alan Cummings cringeworthy. I rolled my eyes a lot.

You are not alone. I assume the main theory behind the concept of that production was that, in order to shock present-day audiences, certain elements of the staging, costume and makeup design, etc. had to be made over-the-top vulgar and explicit. But though there may be some validity to that concept, they certainly shouldn't have had all of that vulgar, sleazy, shocking stuff begin in the opening scene in the cabaret, because it left them nowhere to go. That was a big mistake, in my opinion. But of course, the production was extremely successful, so judging from that yardstick, the creators were right to dumb down the show in that way and to play all of the subtext on the top from the very first minute that the lights went up.

by Anonymousreply 251November 12, 2022 3:59 PM

[quote]Lord Andrew only wants to talk about Bad Cinderella.

And Some Like It Hot, interestingly.

by Anonymousreply 252November 12, 2022 4:09 PM

Bad Sphincterella Some Like My Twat Cuntbely Asskimbo

by Anonymousreply 253November 12, 2022 4:27 PM

Speaking of Cabaret, will the latest West End production make it to broadway? Billy Porter IS the Emcee!

by Anonymousreply 254November 12, 2022 4:32 PM

I see that 4th grade study hall has joined the chat.

by Anonymousreply 255November 12, 2022 5:01 PM

Is Cast Party guru Jim Caruso a bossy top or a bossy bottom?

by Anonymousreply 256November 12, 2022 5:09 PM

Either way, who cares? Yecch.

by Anonymousreply 257November 12, 2022 5:32 PM

Strange Loop has cancelled today’s matinee due to non Covid related illness in the cast.

by Anonymousreply 258November 12, 2022 5:49 PM

Tonya Pinkins wrote a diatribe scolding Jesse Green for his review

by Anonymousreply 259November 12, 2022 6:58 PM

Tonya is really mad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260November 12, 2022 6:58 PM

Does "global majority" just mean "not white"? Would the term "national majority" mean white?

by Anonymousreply 261November 12, 2022 7:02 PM

Why do people keep hiring that fucking loon? She's not even that talented.

by Anonymousreply 262November 12, 2022 7:07 PM

[quote]Tonya Pinkins wrote a diatribe scolding Jesse Green for his review

Not surprising. She is unhinged.

by Anonymousreply 263November 12, 2022 7:24 PM

5689 words.

by Anonymousreply 264November 12, 2022 7:25 PM

Sweet BABY Jesus that was A LOT!

by Anonymousreply 265November 12, 2022 7:42 PM

[quote]Jesse, HELEN KELLER could have written a more accurate review of the production of A Raisin in The Sun we deliver at the THE PUBLIC THEATER through November 20, 2022.

This is like something that a nasty six-year-old might write. Pinkins should be ashamed of herself.

[quote]In your review of the production at THE PUBLIC THEATER you state is that the show is “not as good as Williamstown.” Did you see it a at Williamstown? You didn’t write the review. Your review contributed to the production’s early closure and thwarts any possibility of a move beyond off-broadway.

What the hell is she talking about? The Public production of A RAISIN IN THE SUN is not closing early. In fact, it was extended for a week.Your review says, “O’Hara concentrates his prodigious theatrical imagination on Walter Lee.” What play did you see?

[quote]Your review says, “O’Hara concentrates his prodigious theatrical imagination on Walter Lee.” What play did you see?

Green saw the same play - or rather, the same production of the play, which I guess is what the crazed Tonya Pinkins meant -- that I saw. Despite the inept director's insistence to the contrary, this production is focused very much on the character of Walter Lee rather than on the female characters.

by Anonymousreply 266November 12, 2022 7:43 PM

Pinkins is absolutely correct.

The only problem is she goes on too long.

by Anonymousreply 267November 12, 2022 8:05 PM

Oh shut up, Singapore/FuckinFling!

by Anonymousreply 268November 12, 2022 8:10 PM

That Suddenly Seymour clip was terrible. Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 269November 12, 2022 8:18 PM

She's entitled to express her opinion, but she's not entitled to force her many malapropisms on unsuspecting readers.

It reads like it might have been written by Professor Irwin Corey (only about 3 eldergays will get the reference)

by Anonymousreply 270November 12, 2022 8:19 PM

[quote]That Suddenly Seymour clip was terrible. Yikes.

I think the music was enhanced for that clip because I don't remember the piano sounding that good in the theater.

by Anonymousreply 271November 12, 2022 8:29 PM

[quote]Pinkins is absolutely correct.

If that's what you think you're as bat-shit crazy as she is.

by Anonymousreply 272November 12, 2022 8:34 PM

When are they going to revive The Rink? It's time!

by Anonymousreply 273November 12, 2022 8:45 PM

Tonya didn’t proofread. This is my favorite

[Quote] Playwright Jeremy O’Harris

He’s magically delicious

by Anonymousreply 274November 12, 2022 9:34 PM

That's a lot of Bible verse citations.

by Anonymousreply 275November 12, 2022 9:36 PM

There is so much crazy to unpack in that ridiculous Pinkins rant, but I would appreciate if someone could tell me what the fuck she is talking about when she refers to the early closing of A RAISIN IN THE SUN.

by Anonymousreply 276November 12, 2022 9:53 PM

Tonya’s diatribe isn’t half as persuasive as she thinks it is, and clearly lacks the introspection to realise as much.

For the most part, even the most talented actors are not very bright.

by Anonymousreply 277November 12, 2022 9:54 PM

The craziest part of the TP rant is that even the good reviews say that Walter Lee is at the center of this production. We saw act one (fled at intermission) but the Walter Lee character was definitely centered and I usually feel that the Moma character is the core of that play.

by Anonymousreply 278November 12, 2022 10:09 PM

I wonder if perhaps this means there were talks to extend the run which got scrapped after the review?

by Anonymousreply 279November 12, 2022 10:28 PM

"Fresh off celebrating opening night October 25, The Public Theater's Off-Broadway revival of Lorraine Hansberry's landmark play A Raisin in the Sun, directed by Robert O'Hara, has extended its run for a second time, with performances now set to continue through November 20. Read reviews for the production here."

As usual, nothing TP says is to be trusted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280November 12, 2022 11:27 PM

[Quote] She ain’t sure what Walter Lee is gone be tomorrow.

I mean come on

by Anonymousreply 281November 12, 2022 11:30 PM

There’s a reason Tonya Pinkins didn’t even get to be a day player attorney on The Good Fight. Audra and Christine know how batshit crazy she is.

by Anonymousreply 282November 12, 2022 11:38 PM

[Quote] Where is the optimism in the play? Can you sight a line of text?

by Anonymousreply 283November 12, 2022 11:40 PM

[Quote] My one and only year at Carnegie Mellon was filled with insult and injury from my instructors after Hal Prince cast me in the broadway production “Merrily We Roll Along.” I never received an “A” in a performance class.

by Anonymousreply 284November 12, 2022 11:50 PM

What do we think of Broadway’s reigning hottest leading man Ramin Karimloo and his very recent major gains to play a professional wrestler in his side project, The Last Match? All natural or…?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285November 13, 2022 12:04 AM

[quote]Does "global majority" just mean "not white"? Would the term "national majority" mean white?

Yeah, why do liberals often use the term "global majority" when discussing people of color in the USA, which is around 60% non-Hispanic white and thus the "national majority," as you pointed out.

Not to mention that to them, POC usually refers to black people which are only 13% of the U.S. population.

by Anonymousreply 286November 13, 2022 12:06 AM

Anyone think Jesse will have to respond to that letter?

by Anonymousreply 287November 13, 2022 2:14 AM

[quote]The craziest part of the TP rant is that even the good reviews say that Walter Lee is at the center of this production. We saw act one (fled at intermission) but the Walter Lee character was definitely centered and I usually feel that the Moma character is the core of that play.

The gullible, shit-stirring, not-very-bright Tonya Pinkins THINKS this production is focused on the women because.....well, because her inept director TOLD her, and the press, that it's focused on the women. Hard to believe, but I guess said inept director honestly thinks that's where he focused the production even though everyone who sees the show feels otherwise. How untalented do you have to be to clearly place the focus of a show elsewhere than where you wanted it to be placed? I guess that's a question for Robert O'Hara.

by Anonymousreply 288November 13, 2022 3:12 AM

Kimberly Akimbo got great reviews, but the show is still saddled with the worst poster and ad campaign ever. I can't believe they haven't changed it yet, given how low the grosses are. Why the fuck do they keep featuring those glee-type kids, and the yearbook bullshit? Are they trying to sell to the GREASE audience?

by Anonymousreply 289November 13, 2022 3:41 AM

Smarty pants at r289, what scene/scenes from KA would YOU feature in an ad campaign?

by Anonymousreply 290November 13, 2022 3:44 AM

Don't feature any scenes or photographs in the campaign , fuckhead. Come up with a smart, creative compelling image. Mamma Mia used the same fuckin bride worldwide because they knew the show didn't photograph well. Same with Moulin Rouge. And Phantom. Duh..

by Anonymousreply 291November 13, 2022 3:54 AM

How about a poster that might appeal to a casual theatergoer, even if it doesn’t exactly replicate the show being advertised.

by Anonymousreply 292November 13, 2022 3:55 AM

For you Ramin fangurls, he will be on Playbill’s Broadway in Alaska cruise July 21-28. Maybe if you discreetly lift your caftan, he’ll pay a visit to your stateroom.

by Anonymousreply 293November 13, 2022 3:57 AM

Huh, R285? Ramin has been gym obsessed for years. He doesn't look that different to me.

by Anonymousreply 294November 13, 2022 4:53 AM

Ramin could crush my windpipe, and I’d dutifully thank him.

by Anonymousreply 295November 13, 2022 7:05 AM

Uh, Ramin has put on a LOT of muscle for the new side project, but he’s always been ripped, R294.

Sadly, the “hot Phantom” is the new way and it apparently didn’t work out since it’s closing after 35 years…

by Anonymousreply 296November 13, 2022 8:39 AM

Billy Porter and Sara Porkalob in THE RINK!!!

by Anonymousreply 297November 13, 2022 9:49 AM

Lol. Billy is waaayyy too an ambitious to work with some cunty blob who’s career just publicly ended.

by Anonymousreply 298November 13, 2022 10:33 AM

Tonya Pinkins and Sara Porkalob in THE RINK!!!

by Anonymousreply 299November 13, 2022 10:58 AM

R290 you’re awfully aggressive especially for an idiot. Most broadway posters don’t show “scene/scenes” from the show. Hell the famous Phantom mask doesn’t even resemble the mask in the show. R289 is right that the KA choices haven’t been smart to far- but again not as stupid as you

by Anonymousreply 300November 13, 2022 11:18 AM

Steven Sater on TikTok is saying he manipulated casting auditions to have Groff and Michele always reading together to the detriment of some other female child actress who was favored for the part. Who was the other actress who lost out, and wasn’t Lea with the project longer than anyone else since the early workshop days? Wouldn’t it have been Groff who benefited from the pairing over Lea, she should have been more of a lock in the role then him?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301November 13, 2022 12:41 PM

and Sater is straight with children.

by Anonymousreply 302November 13, 2022 12:44 PM

I'm sure KimAkim is really good but I just can't get excited about another show set in high school .

by Anonymousreply 303November 13, 2022 12:56 PM

I've always felt that Why Should I Wake Up? is not about the "romance" at all, but about being lulled subliminally (and temporarily) into the orbit of Sally's moral obliviousness to the imminent catastrophe around her (which is the take-home point of Cabaret, I'd say).

by Anonymousreply 304November 13, 2022 1:05 PM

In the meantime, none of the smartypants here have come up with a clever image to put on the KA poster to see the show.

by Anonymousreply 305November 13, 2022 1:17 PM

For any of you who watch British tv, you might remember Paul Mescal in Normal People.

He will be doing A Streetcar Named Desire at the Almeida in London.

Can anyone of you Brits attend and report back? Personally, I don’t see this casting. I don’t see him standing at the bottom of the stairs and animalistically yelling, “Stella!”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306November 13, 2022 1:34 PM

[quote]Uh, Ramin has put on a LOT of muscle for the new side project, but he’s always been ripped

I'll second the opinion that someone else expressed -- to me, Ramin doesn't look any bigger or more muscular in that video posted above than he has looked for the past several years, and that's plenty big and muscular enough :-)

by Anonymousreply 307November 13, 2022 1:38 PM

Steven Sater is the epitome of Lyle, the Effeminate Heterosexual.

by Anonymousreply 308November 13, 2022 1:55 PM

& Juliet opens this week. I can't imagine the reviews will be that great.

by Anonymousreply 309November 13, 2022 1:58 PM

Just saw Paul Mescal on the Graham Norton show. Can’t picture him as Stanley but who knows.

by Anonymousreply 310November 13, 2022 1:59 PM

Paul Mescal was really terrific in the Actors Fund reading of This Is Our Youth. I thought he was an American because his accent was flawless and he was shockingly hot. (The clips I have seen of him elsewhere since are no where near as hot.)

He is young for it, but he could definetly work as a Stanley.

by Anonymousreply 311November 13, 2022 2:14 PM

the evolution of Broadway poster design. Thoughts?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312November 13, 2022 2:16 PM

Dancin’ had two brilliantly staged numbers - I Wanna Be a Dancin’ Man and Sing Sing Sing. The rest was crap. The Yankee Doodle finale was cruise ship quality. The Dream Barre cunnilingus section was vulgar. The saving grace was the impeccable cast who worked themselves to death. Ann Reinking. Sandahl Bergman Vicki Frederick. Chris Chadman. John Mineo. Jill Cook. Pass.

by Anonymousreply 313November 13, 2022 2:23 PM

Forgot to add Rene Ceballos who was stunning and gone too soon.

by Anonymousreply 314November 13, 2022 2:23 PM

R312 , the original Dancin poster was hideous. It looked like it was for some dismemberment horror flick.

The new one is generic.

by Anonymousreply 315November 13, 2022 2:24 PM

Any recent pics of Vicki?

by Anonymousreply 316November 13, 2022 2:39 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317November 13, 2022 2:41 PM

I still don’t see how Ramin is so jacked, in his sexual prime, constantly working out, with his wife across the ocean, barley seeing eachother…and yet there are no rumors of him having any dalliances at all with any men or women. If he is 100% straight and never had a BJ from a dude, I can see that…but it’s still odd there’s not been anything really said about women either.

by Anonymousreply 318November 13, 2022 2:42 PM

Ramin is not famous.

by Anonymousreply 319November 13, 2022 2:47 PM

No where in her screed did Pinkins mention her civil rice.

by Anonymousreply 320November 13, 2022 3:41 PM

Vicki Lawrence IS Dancin'!

by Anonymousreply 321November 13, 2022 3:54 PM

[quote] No where in her screed did Pinkins mention her civil rice.

Nor did she mention her dirty rice.

But she implied it.

by Anonymousreply 322November 13, 2022 4:10 PM

For those upthread asking about Scott Ellis at the Roundabout.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323November 13, 2022 4:14 PM

Remember when KA started out with the letter tiles? That got shitcanned pretty fast. From this point, they should just use the amazing quotes, the title and call it day. That's what they did with WICKED, PHANTOM, LION KING and CATS for years....And look how that turned out. It works.

by Anonymousreply 324November 13, 2022 4:16 PM

Victoria Clark's role in "Kimberly Akimbo" -- so now Stockard Channing is finally the right age to play a high school student?

by Anonymousreply 325November 13, 2022 4:19 PM

[quote]It reads like it might have been written by Professor Irwin Corey (only about 3 eldergays will get the reference)

I never miss a Professor Irwin Corey musical.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326November 13, 2022 4:20 PM

Is Ramin a Muslim? I know he’s Iranian-Canadian. Maybe his religion prohibits him from seeking sexual gratification from only his wife.

by Anonymousreply 327November 13, 2022 4:21 PM

The other saving grace of the original DANCIN' besides the cast were the phenomenally brilliant, sexy and witty costumes of Willa Kim.

by Anonymousreply 328November 13, 2022 4:22 PM

[quote]Lesbians don’t go to the theater.

If only they had named this the Subaru Center for the Performing Arts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329November 13, 2022 4:22 PM

From the last thread:

[quote]I would seriously buy a ticket to see Tyler Perry as Madea playing Medea.

I'll wait for the Lavarious Slaughter production.

by Anonymousreply 330November 13, 2022 4:23 PM

exciting news from 24 years ago r323

by Anonymousreply 331November 13, 2022 4:25 PM

Did any eldergays on here see the original Broadway production of Beatlemania? Any recollections? I'm most interested in the projections that Jules Fisher did.

For that matter, did any of you see the musical they made out of Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band that played at the Beacon in 1974?

by Anonymousreply 332November 13, 2022 4:28 PM

Debra winger should definitely direct a new play starring Tonya Pinkins.

by Anonymousreply 333November 13, 2022 4:46 PM

[quote] Remember when KA started out with the letter tiles? That got shitcanned pretty fast. From this point, they should just use the amazing quotes, the title and call it day. That's what they did with WICKED, PHANTOM, LION KING and CATS for years....And look how that turned out. It works.

All four of those shows had dramatic logos as well, which is what KA needs.

by Anonymousreply 334November 13, 2022 4:53 PM

KA needs an Evita logo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335November 13, 2022 4:57 PM

They should have a free day where anyone named Kim can get free ticket if they have another paying customer.

by Anonymousreply 336November 13, 2022 4:58 PM

"I'm smug and snooty, confident as hell!"

by Anonymousreply 337November 13, 2022 5:05 PM

[quote] They should have a free day where anyone named Kim can get free ticket if they have another paying customer.

That’s one way to get the Asian community to see the show.

by Anonymousreply 338November 13, 2022 5:07 PM

And said new play starring Tonya Pinkins and directed by Debra Winger should also be filmed for a behind the scenes documentary. Betty Buckley can also have a featured role

by Anonymousreply 339November 13, 2022 6:28 PM

All publicity is good publicity

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 340November 13, 2022 6:45 PM

Am I allowed to admit I love the gayness of the KA rainbow?

by Anonymousreply 341November 13, 2022 6:46 PM

Is Rainbow Brite going into KA?

by Anonymousreply 342November 13, 2022 6:49 PM

[Quote] Am I allowed to admit I love the gayness of the KA rainbow?

But is the show gay?

by Anonymousreply 343November 13, 2022 6:55 PM

[quote]Did any eldergays on here see the original Broadway production of Beatlemania?

It wasn't the Beatles, but it was an amazing simulation.

by Anonymousreply 344November 13, 2022 7:02 PM

Gays didn't go to Beatlemania, just like they won't go to Almost, Famous. We stay away from the really dumb straight white guy shows.

by Anonymousreply 345November 13, 2022 7:22 PM

[quote]They should have a free day where anyone named Kim can get free ticket if they have another paying customer.

I'm there!

by Anonymousreply 346November 13, 2022 7:46 PM

[quote]Although when it comes to humiliating a cast, nothing compares with Scott Elliott's staging for the curtain call for The Women at that same theatre, where he made those poor ladies walk out in their underwear.

Horseshit, the lingerie and costumes were by Issac Mizhrahi and the ladies looked great. Full show with curtain call at 2:21

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347November 13, 2022 7:50 PM

Apparently by these Queens here, every successful director on Broadway is a hack.

by Anonymousreply 348November 13, 2022 7:51 PM

I'm gay and I went to Almost Famous. I thought it was terrible, but I loved the movie.

by Anonymousreply 349November 13, 2022 8:10 PM

Should Almost Famous have a curtain call where the cast comes out in their underwear?

by Anonymousreply 350November 13, 2022 8:11 PM

To R318, Ramin is "getting laid somewhere", he looks familiar to me.

It's like all the male soap opera actors in NYC in the 1990's, I remember 3 of them, Travis Montgomery, Walk Willey and the 1 who I cannot tell you. He's my secret!!

by Anonymousreply 351November 13, 2022 8:14 PM

Vicky was out of KA last night. Hope it’s not you know what.

by Anonymousreply 352November 13, 2022 8:21 PM

R352

Alzeimers?

Cholera?

The Palsy?

by Anonymousreply 353November 13, 2022 9:11 PM

The Clap?

Get it? 👏

by Anonymousreply 354November 13, 2022 9:24 PM

Maybe Vicki went to a wedding this weekend. It happens.

by Anonymousreply 355November 13, 2022 10:08 PM

Close

by Anonymousreply 356November 13, 2022 10:09 PM

this

by Anonymousreply 357November 13, 2022 10:09 PM

thread

by Anonymousreply 358November 13, 2022 10:10 PM

Bajour!

by Anonymousreply 359November 13, 2022 10:12 PM

I can't stand a premature Bajour!

by Anonymousreply 360November 13, 2022 11:01 PM

I agree, as a rule, r360.

The OP of this thread "Bajour"ed all of the 500 threads very early. Repeatedly. Good for the goose, etc.

by Anonymousreply 361November 13, 2022 11:16 PM

Also interested in the new Streetcar.in London...I didn't think the actor playing Stanley fit at first glance but now after seeing in some pics I could sort of see it. He needs to beef up though.

Seems like they will have a younger cast in general which is actually kind of refreshing. Let's just hope the acting is up to par.

by Anonymousreply 362November 13, 2022 11:31 PM

Light in the Piazza

by Anonymousreply 363November 13, 2022 11:37 PM

Sorry, here's the link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 364November 13, 2022 11:38 PM

FOLLIES!

by Anonymousreply 365November 13, 2022 11:42 PM

Happy birthday to Carol Woods.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 366November 13, 2022 11:44 PM

Happy birthday Jordan . Roth

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 367November 14, 2022 12:04 AM

[Quote] & Juliet opens this week. I can't imagine the reviews will be that great.

Saw in in London

Meh. Why bother

by Anonymousreply 368November 14, 2022 12:05 AM

What do we think cost more- Jordan's blouse or the art director who found just the right matching shades of bookcovers to help stage the background?

by Anonymousreply 369November 14, 2022 12:10 AM

Jordan Roth needs to just leave. It's getting exhausting watching everyone talk to him pretending that they like and/or respect him. His never-ending narcissism is embarrassing and gross. Remember when he was live casting "happenings" from his home. Jesus save me...

by Anonymousreply 370November 14, 2022 12:17 AM

[quote]& Juliet opens this week. I can't imagine the reviews will be that great.

How did Tony winner Paulo Szot end up in this?

Is it a rethinking of "Me and Juliet"?

by Anonymousreply 371November 14, 2022 1:13 AM

[quote]How did Tony winner Paulo Szot end up in this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372November 14, 2022 1:23 AM

Maybe Paulo couldn't pass up the chance to wear a codpiece.

by Anonymousreply 373November 14, 2022 1:31 AM

The codpiece is fine. His big ass in the skintight jeans is better.

by Anonymousreply 374November 14, 2022 1:47 AM

R374 Now, I want anal.

by Anonymousreply 375November 14, 2022 2:36 AM

Close

by Anonymousreply 376November 14, 2022 3:03 AM

this

by Anonymousreply 377November 14, 2022 3:04 AM

thread!

by Anonymousreply 378November 14, 2022 3:05 AM

Goodbye girl

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379November 14, 2022 3:09 AM

Chicago!

by Anonymousreply 380November 14, 2022 3:15 AM

The musical

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 381November 14, 2022 3:16 AM

Rocky Horror

by Anonymousreply 382November 14, 2022 3:20 AM

the musical

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 383November 14, 2022 3:21 AM

I had no idea this thread was around. It seems damaged.

by Anonymousreply 384November 14, 2022 3:25 AM

Close

by Anonymousreply 385November 14, 2022 3:30 AM

this

by Anonymousreply 386November 14, 2022 3:30 AM

thread

by Anonymousreply 387November 14, 2022 3:31 AM

Bajjour!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 388November 14, 2022 3:36 AM

THREAD CLOSED

by Anonymousreply 389November 14, 2022 3:41 AM

THREAD CLOSED

by Anonymousreply 390November 14, 2022 3:42 AM

THREAD CLOSED

by Anonymousreply 391November 14, 2022 3:43 AM

THREAD CLOSED

See how obnoxious that is, OP?

by Anonymousreply 392November 14, 2022 3:46 AM

Smile

by Anonymousreply 393November 14, 2022 3:49 AM

the musical

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 394November 14, 2022 3:50 AM

THREAD CLOSED

by Anonymousreply 395November 14, 2022 3:51 AM

THREAD CLOSED

by Anonymousreply 396November 14, 2022 3:52 AM

Thread 502

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397November 14, 2022 3:53 AM

No No Nanette!

by Anonymousreply 398November 14, 2022 3:54 AM

Listen to r397. I'll spam this thread with links til it's full.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 399November 14, 2022 3:58 AM

R397, you're no better than the asshole who started this thread.

by Anonymousreply 400November 14, 2022 4:00 AM

Parade!

by Anonymousreply 401November 14, 2022 4:01 AM

The Tonys

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 402November 14, 2022 4:02 AM

Join us

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 403November 14, 2022 4:04 AM

Kimberly Akimbo

by Anonymousreply 404November 14, 2022 4:06 AM

the musical

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 405November 14, 2022 4:07 AM

Victoria for the Tony!

by Anonymousreply 406November 14, 2022 4:14 AM

Into the woods

by Anonymousreply 407November 14, 2022 4:23 AM

On the View

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 408November 14, 2022 4:24 AM

THREAD CLOSED

by Anonymousreply 409November 14, 2022 4:28 AM

THREAD CLOSED

by Anonymousreply 410November 14, 2022 4:28 AM

THREAD CLOSED

by Anonymousreply 411November 14, 2022 4:29 AM

r408, is Creel still in the show? If so, interesting they could get him to show up for the Today Show but not The View.

by Anonymousreply 412November 14, 2022 4:31 AM

Banshee

by Anonymousreply 413November 14, 2022 4:43 AM

clip

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 414November 14, 2022 4:45 AM

This thread is a winner!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 415November 14, 2022 4:56 AM

[quote][R408], is Creel still in the show? If so, interesting they could get him to show up for the Today Show but not The View.

yes, he is in the show.

by Anonymousreply 416November 14, 2022 4:58 AM

new thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 417November 14, 2022 5:00 AM

This thread is making me angry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 418November 14, 2022 5:06 AM

Ugh. The Loon is back.

Fuck this shit. I'm not dealing with this crap again.

by Anonymousreply 419November 14, 2022 7:15 AM

Here's a fresh start:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 420November 14, 2022 7:21 AM

There is no fresh start. There's something rotten in the state of DLmark.

by Anonymousreply 421November 14, 2022 7:27 AM

What exactly is the problem with this thread? You all are bitching about an alleged rogue thread when you all started like seven 500 threads.

by Anonymousreply 422November 14, 2022 11:24 AM

The real next thread 502

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 423November 14, 2022 11:26 AM

[quote]Join us

Leave your field to flower. Leave your cheese to sour. Come and waste and hour or two. Deedley-doo.

by Anonymousreply 424November 14, 2022 11:32 AM

FFS let’s finish this goddamn thread first. And block the troll who kept on posting that “close this thread” shit.

by Anonymousreply 425November 14, 2022 1:00 PM

What's with the meth head who keeps posting this close this thread shit? Just go away.

by Anonymousreply 426November 14, 2022 2:02 PM

I wish they'd go to the bogus 502 before these start going down nonsense parallel paths for forever.

by Anonymousreply 427November 14, 2022 2:47 PM

I posted about Shucked, the former Hee Haw musical in the other thread yesterday, but here's official coverage/the announcement from Playbill. I don't know who the audience is for this, but I underestimated A Beautiful Noise though too, so I know nothing.

This, though, makes me want to vomit: ""Shucked is about to turn Broadway on its ear and offer a kernel of hope for our divided nation."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 428November 14, 2022 2:59 PM

R426 R427 I think 502 was started because of the schizo who has it out for this thread

by Anonymousreply 429November 14, 2022 3:14 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 430November 14, 2022 4:56 PM

R430 Eddie Izzard will return to the New York stage this December for six weeks only playing 21 characters in Charles Dickens’ Great Expectations, a classic tale of convicts, mystery, friendship, rivalry, unrequited love, revenge, and redemption.

International person of mystery, actor, comedian, and multi-marathon runner Eddie Izzard’s boundary-pushing career spans all of these with record-breaking comedy tours and critically acclaimed film, TV, and theatre performances.? But few know that acting was her first love. This show offers the chance to see Eddie’s solo performance of the master storyteller’s beloved epic, Great Expectations.

Running time is approximately 2 hours including intermission. The Greenwich House Theater is located at 27 Barrow Street, New York, NY 10014.

by Anonymousreply 431November 14, 2022 5:25 PM

Do I really have to see Kimberly Akimbo?

I've come to the realization that I don't have to see every new show on Bway

by Anonymousreply 432November 14, 2022 5:53 PM

What kind of a response do you expect for that stupid rhetorical question, R432? And what kind of a response do you think you deserve?

by Anonymousreply 433November 14, 2022 6:02 PM

R433, I deserve love and understanding

by Anonymousreply 434November 14, 2022 7:34 PM

K-Pop just seems like a money-grab from tourists.

Bway is the Las Vegas of the East

by Anonymousreply 435November 14, 2022 7:50 PM

I thought K-POP could be energetic (mindless) fun and spectacle.

But I think I'll skip it, based on what I'm hearing (here and elsewhere).

by Anonymousreply 436November 14, 2022 8:54 PM

R436, like a Kpop concert?

by Anonymousreply 437November 14, 2022 11:33 PM

To the person claiming Ramin bulked up recently for some part. He may have earned on an screen role that requires him to show off his body, but he does not look dramatically different than in the past. I mean, this was him in Les Mis EIGHT years ago...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 438November 15, 2022 2:13 AM

You're telling me he's more bulked up than this? Not seeing it...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 439November 15, 2022 2:14 AM

Did Ramin bulk up in preparation for co-starring opposite Beanie?

by Anonymousreply 440November 15, 2022 6:51 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 441November 15, 2022 8:12 AM

Ramin looks more ‘ripped’ as the gym bunnies call it.

by Anonymousreply 442November 15, 2022 11:33 AM

Do people not remember that Phantom and Valjean were cast with literal old men originally? What is this weird trend of casting voiceless character tenor gym rats in 80s popera? It’s fucking annoying. No wonder those shows are dead now.

by Anonymousreply 443November 15, 2022 11:54 AM

Constantly clenching one's stomach to get through this number provides a hell of an ab workout.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 444November 15, 2022 12:09 PM

[quote]Do people not remember that Phantom and Valjean were cast with literal old men originally? What is this weird trend of casting voiceless character tenor gym rats in 80s popera?

Maybe in some cases the powers that be feel that younger performers have more stamina for the rigors of performing those roles on Broadway. But honestly, I also think part of it may be that one or more of the people now running those ships are gay men who cast hotties whether or not they fit the roles and/or are the best performers available. That certainly seems to apply to the fellow who directed the recent MISS SAIGON and LES MIS in London and on Broadway and is also directing BAD CINDERELLA, which I hear had an ensemble filled with sometimes scantily clad male hotties in London.

by Anonymousreply 445November 15, 2022 1:58 PM

Sounds like a winning plan for Broadway in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 446November 15, 2022 2:22 PM

She looked pretty good here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 447November 15, 2022 2:26 PM

Damn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 448November 15, 2022 2:28 PM

Sylvester Stallone *is* Old Deuteronomy in Broadway’s revival of C*A*T*S!

by Anonymousreply 449November 15, 2022 2:38 PM

That type of casting has been going on a long time, r445.

by Anonymousreply 450November 15, 2022 2:45 PM

R428, I don't know about this show, but I love me some John Behlmann.

P.S. Shane McAnally is an unfortunate name.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 451November 15, 2022 3:51 PM

Only if you don't know how it's pronounced.

by Anonymousreply 452November 15, 2022 3:57 PM

Shane McAnally has written a lot of huge country hits.

by Anonymousreply 453November 15, 2022 5:05 PM

And Ray survived Elaine Stritch.

by Anonymousreply 454November 15, 2022 5:13 PM

I’d forgotten how much Beanie Feldstein resembled Rodney Dangerfield until the poster posted the above photo

by Anonymousreply 455November 15, 2022 5:16 PM

That’s what the chorus is for R445, not principals.

by Anonymousreply 456November 15, 2022 5:32 PM

[quote]I’d forgotten how much Beanie Feldstein resembled Rodney Dangerfield until the poster posted the above photo

Even dead, I STILL get no respect!

by Anonymousreply 457November 15, 2022 6:02 PM

Slowly but surely, the Broadway houses are filling up for spring.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 458November 15, 2022 7:49 PM

Here is the website description of ^ the show above ^

[quote] Jodie Comer, the Emmy and Bafta Award-winning star of TV’s Killing Eve as well as Free Guy and The Last Duel, makes her Broadway debut in the American premiere of Suzie Miller’s award-winning play, Prima Facie which takes us to the heart of where emotion and experience collide with the rules of the game. Justin Martin directs this solo actor tour de force.

[quote] Tessa is a thoroughbred. A young, brilliant barrister who loves to win. She has worked her way up from working class origins to be at the top of her game; defending; cross examining and lighting up the shadows of doubt in any case. An unexpected event forces her to confront the lines where the patriarchal power of the law, burden of proof and morals diverge.

Huh?

by Anonymousreply 459November 15, 2022 8:42 PM

R459 It was posted on the other thread. The London production.

by Anonymousreply 460November 15, 2022 9:04 PM

But wait there's more

[quote] PS: any spelling, grammar, typos that keep you from getting “the message,” sit with them. Judgment, is your colonized mind. What else has kept you from completing or receiving. Perfection is a Devil

by Anonymousreply 461November 15, 2022 9:24 PM

What an embarrassment! Lorraine Hansberry must be turning in her urn.

PRIMA FACIE A dynamic performance but a cop-out of a play. The power of theatre lies in metaphor, not statistics. Leave that to television—it does literalism best.

An excellent, intelligent, and necessary question, r432, given the steep tariffs and complacent mediocrity of contemporary New York theatre.

by Anonymousreply 462November 15, 2022 9:47 PM

No disrespect, but apparently anyone who ever made a record gets his/her/their own jukebox musical these days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 463November 15, 2022 9:56 PM

[titleofshow]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 464November 15, 2022 9:59 PM

Title of show was insufferable and is best forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 465November 15, 2022 10:51 PM

[quote]Title of show was insufferable and is best forgotten.

Much like this thread.

Die, Vampire, Die!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 466November 15, 2022 10:54 PM

Goodbye

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 467November 16, 2022 12:05 AM

It's the last midnight!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 468November 16, 2022 12:15 AM

"Everything in life is only for now"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 469November 16, 2022 12:28 AM

Maybe, just maybe, the casting of hunks Hugh Jackman as Valjean and Gerard Butler as The Phantom changed everyone's perceptions of those characters.

by Anonymousreply 470November 16, 2022 4:14 AM

Kimberly Akimbo IS superior to Some Like It Hot, Almost Famous, KPOP, & Juliet, A Beautiful Noise, Bad Cinderella, and Back to the Future. Jury is out on New York, New York.

by Anonymousreply 471November 16, 2022 4:22 AM

Which is the bigger flop, the return of Topdog/Underdog or the return of Take Me Out?

by Anonymousreply 472November 16, 2022 4:33 AM

Lloyd Price made hit records, for a time. Perhaps a lesser known repertoire might even make a better jukebox musical.

by Anonymousreply 473November 16, 2022 6:51 AM

[Quote] Jury is out on New York, New York.

Trial hasn’t even started.

by Anonymousreply 474November 16, 2022 11:09 AM

[quote] Maybe, just maybe, the casting of hunks Hugh Jackman as Valjean and Gerard Butler as The Phantom changed everyone's perceptions of those characters.

Really? Into roles that don’t need to be performed by people with virtually zero vocal ability despite them being quite difficult to sing?

Sure, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 475November 16, 2022 11:27 AM

Which is the bigger flop and why is it K-Pop?

by Anonymousreply 476November 16, 2022 11:52 AM

A Beautiful Noise hit over a million last week, with an average ticket of $156. Broadway is dead.

by Anonymousreply 477November 16, 2022 12:04 PM

And KPOP's average ticket price is $37.17. Jeff Mays' Christmas Carol's was $21.36

by Anonymousreply 478November 16, 2022 12:07 PM

Last thought on last week's numbers - Broadway reporting is insane.

Take Ain't No Mo. It grossed $87K for 5 performances average ticket $26.89. However, it did have 3,249 attendees so the official "% capacity' was 63.77%.

They still aren't reporting gross potential - which doesn't mean anything anymore since variable pricing let shows play to 120% of gross potential, which was also bullshit - but it's all nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 479November 16, 2022 12:11 PM

Saw Take Me Out last night, for free. Both Jesses out. JTF's understudy Tim Wright was excellent; think it might have been his first public performance. The cast applauded him warmly at the curtain call. The other Jesse was replaced by Blake Russell—tall, sincere, but pretty dull. (And, no, not hung.) Haven't seen the play since the first production. Don't remember it being so very long. I blame Scott Ellis.

by Anonymousreply 480November 16, 2022 12:32 PM

Would it be more accurate to say Mr. Russell was not fluffed?

by Anonymousreply 481November 16, 2022 12:39 PM

The Nora we didn't know Bway needed!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 482November 16, 2022 1:33 PM

It takes two, alright.

But just... any two?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 483November 16, 2022 1:35 PM

I like Jessica Chastain…but she’s not a compelling stage actress . She does better on film.

Some girls do!

by Anonymousreply 484November 16, 2022 1:39 PM

[quote] The Nora we didn't know Bway needed!

New translation by Amy Herzog.

Expect Nora to be a strong, independent woman whose only fault is that she’s a woman who puts others ahead of herself.

by Anonymousreply 485November 16, 2022 2:06 PM

Jessica Chastain in THE HEIRESS was a total waste of time, but that show was directed by the talent-free Moises Kaufman. Maybe Chastain will be better in A DOLL'S HOUSE because he's not involved.

by Anonymousreply 486November 16, 2022 2:20 PM

r483, sounds like a young girl singing with her gay uncle.

by Anonymousreply 487November 16, 2022 2:29 PM

After Lucas Hnath's A Doll's House, Part 2 and Laurie Metcalf's remarkable performance in it, is there really a need to see A Doll's House right now? Even in an Amy Herzog (who??) adaptation?

by Anonymousreply 488November 16, 2022 3:01 PM

You know how people say they'd pay to see such and such an actor read from a phone book?

Well, Linda Lavin may well be one of those actors (yeah, I know she's never been a DL Fave), but I'd rather see her read from a phone book than sit through You Will Get Sick at the Roundabout's Pels Theatre again. Lavin pulls out all the stops but what a pretentious and juvenile evening of twaddle!

I don't get why the reviews weren't much harsher. After the first 10 minutes of some intriguing set-up, I was bored out of my mind and the rest of the 75 intermissionless minutes flew by like 3 hours.

by Anonymousreply 489November 16, 2022 3:11 PM

Say Goodbye to the Sideshow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 490November 16, 2022 3:14 PM

R489, I largely agree. And I found the device of having a disembodied offstage voice read all or most of the stage directions aloud between the actors' delivery of the lines to be incredibly annoying and also pointless. I kind felt maybe that was done because, as it is, the running time of the play is less than 90 minutes, and without the stage directions being read out loud, the RT would probably have been only about an hour.

by Anonymousreply 491November 16, 2022 3:27 PM

Oh god, yes, that interminable off-stage voice of narration drove me nuts and just came off as a lazy device by a young playwright who couldn't figure out how to dramatize those words by characters onstage.

And were those really the best young actors who auditioned for the supporting roles? Though perhaps with that material, no one would have made it work better.

by Anonymousreply 492November 16, 2022 3:34 PM

R492, I wonder if the reading aloud of the stage directions is indicated in the script by the playwright, or if that brilliant idea (sarcasm!) came from the director of this production?

by Anonymousreply 493November 16, 2022 3:52 PM

Playwrights don't write stage directions.

by Anonymousreply 494November 16, 2022 3:59 PM

Tonya, thank you -- and fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 495November 16, 2022 4:06 PM

You Will Get Dick is an awful play, although Linda Lavin works mightily to help lift the aeroplane.

by Anonymousreply 496November 16, 2022 4:21 PM

Does she scat?

by Anonymousreply 497November 16, 2022 4:26 PM

[quote]You Will Get Dick

I wouldn't mind seeing this play. Already sounds more appealing than the Lavin one.

by Anonymousreply 498November 16, 2022 4:37 PM

[quote] Fantasia would probably kill as Effie... if she could be relied upon to show up.

old tired DL trope from 2007 when she was 23. she grew up and was excellent in After Midnight and missed like 2 performances if that and people there said she was a delight onstage and off and backstage

by Anonymousreply 499November 16, 2022 6:14 PM

I would love to see Fantasia’s Effie screen test for the movie.

by Anonymousreply 500November 16, 2022 6:46 PM

Fantasia was OFF THE WALL AMAZING in After Midnight!!

I was shocked when she wasn't nominated for a Tony while Adrian Lenox, who barely registered, was.

by Anonymousreply 501November 16, 2022 6:56 PM

Robert Clary of "New Faces of 1952" has died at age 96.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 502November 16, 2022 10:18 PM

He was also on Broadway in Seventh Heaven with Bea Arther.

I didn't know Clary had been in Auschwitz, nor his connection to Eddie Cantor.

by Anonymousreply 503November 16, 2022 10:28 PM

Sound of Music

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 504November 16, 2022 10:31 PM

Did someone say scat? R497.

by Anonymousreply 505November 17, 2022 3:32 AM

[quote]He was also on Broadway in Seventh Heaven with Bea Arther.

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 506November 17, 2022 4:45 AM

R501 - Yes, Fantasia was WONDERFUL in After Midnight. But, I don't think that's entirely fair to Adriane Lenox. I thought she was absolutely hilarious and the audience loved her the night I saw the show.

by Anonymousreply 507November 17, 2022 5:15 AM

How long was Fantasia's run?

by Anonymousreply 508November 17, 2022 5:20 AM

she was in it twice, 11/3-2/11/13 and then 5/13-6/8

by Anonymousreply 509November 17, 2022 5:28 PM

r507 but lenox did 2 songs and fantasia did 4 or 5

by Anonymousreply 510November 17, 2022 5:29 PM

Funny, I don't even remember Lenox in the show but Fantasia was unforgettable.

by Anonymousreply 511November 17, 2022 7:40 PM

I'm here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 512November 17, 2022 7:51 PM

Fantasia in "After Midnight"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 513November 17, 2022 7:58 PM

Isn’t Pinocchio Barrino a big homophobe?

by Anonymousreply 514November 17, 2022 8:05 PM

Bernadette Peters in Hello Dolly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 515November 17, 2022 8:26 PM

Fantasia was a special guest star, and special guest stars don't get Tony nominations.

by Anonymousreply 516November 17, 2022 8:55 PM

We do not belong together

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 517November 17, 2022 9:23 PM

So beautiful. A show that has stuck to me like glue.

by Anonymousreply 518November 17, 2022 9:38 PM

A little fall of rain

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 519November 17, 2022 9:52 PM

[quote] Funny, I don't even remember Lenox in the show but Fantasia was unforgettable.

Funny, I don't remember AFTER MIDNIGHT at all.

by Anonymousreply 520November 17, 2022 11:11 PM

R513, Thank you! She’s spectacular!

by Anonymousreply 521November 18, 2022 12:43 AM

Come to the cabaret!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 522November 18, 2022 1:00 AM

Once before I go

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 523November 18, 2022 1:10 AM

I know he was supposed to be amazing in Boy From Oz, but he just seemed like a good gay actor in that to me.

Gays are so full of drama and he acted just like one.

Big whoop

by Anonymousreply 524November 18, 2022 1:57 AM

The Last 5 years

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 525November 18, 2022 2:12 AM

The Boy From Oz also ran at the peak of Hugh's looks. We can't forget that, R524. The eye candy elevated a meh performance and double meh show.

by Anonymousreply 526November 18, 2022 2:23 AM

Jesse on & Juliet—

[Quote]; “& Juliet” sometimes seems suspicious of its own intelligence, like a nerd invited to the cool kids’ party, only to get drunk and vomit in the pool.

by Anonymousreply 527November 18, 2022 2:27 AM

But the review was very positive!

by Anonymousreply 528November 18, 2022 2:49 AM

The current Phantom Ben Crawford is a fatty, saw him bounding down 8th Ave with a high water booty and a brewski belly popping out like an Eggo! How does he fit in that tiny boat?!

by Anonymousreply 529November 18, 2022 3:00 AM

Phantom

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 530November 18, 2022 3:45 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 531November 18, 2022 3:46 AM

Barbour

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 532November 18, 2022 3:49 AM

r529, yeah, in the promo shots Phantom released to advertise their new vintage Ts it was pretty apparent.

It didn't help when he was standing next to Riddle, who is really lean, and really hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 533November 18, 2022 3:56 AM

I hear ya, r533. At least Crawford owns his less-than-svelteness in your insta example.

Not sure why the Phantom needs to have a rockin' bod, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 534November 18, 2022 4:01 AM

Overture

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 535November 18, 2022 4:05 AM

A sexier Phantom

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 536November 18, 2022 4:08 AM

I want Riddle in me quite deeply.

by Anonymousreply 537November 18, 2022 4:09 AM

Masquerade

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 538November 18, 2022 4:17 AM

I really don't like the Raoul in that Phantom (though I do like Boggess). Even though this isn't proshot I still prefer this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 539November 18, 2022 4:22 AM

The Masquerade section in the final third of this is also fun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 540November 18, 2022 4:23 AM

THE ARTIST, the popular (and some would say wildly overrated) silent film from a decade ago, is now a stage musical!

Because, of course.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 541November 18, 2022 4:55 AM

The point of no return

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 542November 18, 2022 4:58 AM

R541 A silent musical...?

by Anonymousreply 543November 18, 2022 5:03 AM

Goodbye, Little Dream, Goodbye

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 544November 18, 2022 5:20 AM

Jesse Tyler Ferguson

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 545November 18, 2022 5:27 AM

Tveit

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 546November 18, 2022 5:45 AM

What's next?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 547November 18, 2022 6:30 AM

[quote]THE ARTIST, the popular (and some would say wildly overrated) silent film from a decade ago, is now a stage musical!

I can see it now: From a silent movie to a stage musical that you wish would just shut up already.

by Anonymousreply 548November 18, 2022 6:38 AM

Carolee Carmello

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 549November 18, 2022 7:01 AM

I don't think Jackman looked hot in Boy from Oz. I found the actor who played the role in the Peter Allen TV biopic much more appealing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 550November 18, 2022 8:02 AM

[quote][R541] A silent musical...?

Sounds tailor-made for Beanie.

by Anonymousreply 551November 18, 2022 10:16 AM

"Death is just around the corner"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 552November 18, 2022 10:27 AM

Hamilton

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 553November 18, 2022 10:38 AM

A Little Not Music

by Anonymousreply 554November 18, 2022 10:54 AM

Liaisons at 4:00

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 555November 18, 2022 10:59 AM

Was that whole production so dark and dismal looking?

by Anonymousreply 556November 18, 2022 11:03 AM

Regina Resnik

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 557November 18, 2022 11:04 AM

Margaret Hamilton

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 558November 18, 2022 11:14 AM

Glynis Johns

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 559November 18, 2022 11:19 AM

[quote]Was that whole production so dark and dismal looking?

No, r556. It's a poorly recorded bootleg.

by Anonymousreply 560November 18, 2022 11:25 AM

^ Is that all in reference to the ALNM with Angela and CZJ?

R560 is correct that it wasn't lit that poorly/dark, but it was a really underwhelming production design-wise. I saw it with Bernadette and Stritch and it was an ugly, cheap-looking thing onstage, despite a handful of wonderful performances.

by Anonymousreply 561November 18, 2022 1:59 PM

I was actually disturbed by all of the black costumes. Seems counterintuitive to me.

by Anonymousreply 562November 18, 2022 2:01 PM

Crawford was the best Phantom, the ghostly tone made the show special. Nowadays the character is played like a confused junior high school quarterback with a bad case of acne. Tragic!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 563November 18, 2022 2:08 PM

More K-POP.... a montage!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 564November 18, 2022 2:23 PM

A bit of wit from actor/writer Jesse Eisenberg.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 565November 18, 2022 2:28 PM

Who's the audience for KPOP? And do they have the $$ to buy Bway tickets?

by Anonymousreply 566November 18, 2022 2:32 PM

That pic at r564 looks like it’s from Frozen’s Broadway Bares act

by Anonymousreply 567November 18, 2022 2:35 PM

A friend of mine predicts that KPOP will be a tremendous hit because it will bring a whole new audience to Broadway. Maybe he's right, but I remember another friend predicted that ESCAPE TO MARGARITAVILLE would be a huge hit because Jimmy Buffet has such a huge fan base. Unfortunately for that show, they never showed up. So I guess we'll see if fans of actual KPOP groups show up for this Broadway show about KPOP.

by Anonymousreply 568November 18, 2022 2:54 PM

Crawford was easily the worst Phantom.

by Anonymousreply 569November 18, 2022 3:43 PM

brent barrett. one of the best phantoms

by Anonymousreply 570November 18, 2022 4:14 PM

[quote] The current Phantom Ben Crawford is a fatty

Oh, I didn't care. His voice and what he does with it is stunning in the role

by Anonymousreply 571November 18, 2022 4:19 PM

Are those Sierra Boggess Phantom clips part of a fully-taped performance that's commercially available?

by Anonymousreply 572November 18, 2022 4:20 PM

[quote] Crawford was easily the worst Phantom.

You clearly did not see Robert Guillaume stumble through the role

by Anonymousreply 573November 18, 2022 5:24 PM

[quote] Is that all in reference to the ALNM with Angela and CZJ? [R560] is correct that it wasn't lit that poorly/dark, but it was a really underwhelming production design-wise. I saw it with Bernadette and Stritch and it was an ugly, cheap-looking thing onstage, despite a handful of wonderful performances.

Yes, thank you for clarifying my awkwardly phrased post for me, r561.

Sincerely,

r560

by Anonymousreply 574November 18, 2022 5:27 PM

Willy Loman has a sandwich, because Broadway 'marketing'

The salesman died from clogged arteries

[quote] "You would think that we were from polar opposite worlds, but it's two men who have dreams and ended up here on Broadway bringing Broadway back. Shelley and I have more in common than you know," Pierce said at the ceremony. "So, I am very proud to be here today. This is a celebration of the American Dream, while we saw the nightmare in my play, we the see the dream realized here today."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 575November 18, 2022 6:53 PM

Attention must be paid to p.r. !

by Anonymousreply 576November 18, 2022 7:09 PM

r572, yes, the show was recorded at the Royal Albert Hall for its 25th Anniversary. It's available on DVD/BluRay/etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 577November 18, 2022 7:56 PM

[quote]A friend of mine predicts that KPOP will be a tremendous hit because it will bring a whole new audience to Broadway.

That theory is already being disproved because the show is not selling.

by Anonymousreply 578November 18, 2022 8:56 PM

Is that true, R578? I rarely check the grosses, I only go by hearsay. Seems my friend may have been very wrong in his prediction.

by Anonymousreply 579November 18, 2022 8:58 PM

[quote] [R560] is correct that it wasn't lit that poorly/dark,

r561 I recall the production being very very dark, probably to obscure the lack of a set. When CZJ first appeared you couldn't even see her.

by Anonymousreply 580November 18, 2022 9:06 PM

I'm very petite, from being so young.

by Anonymousreply 581November 18, 2022 9:08 PM

You should have worn green.

by Anonymousreply 582November 18, 2022 9:12 PM

What sort of make-up or prosthetics did they use to “age up” CZJ in that production of ALNM? After all, Desiree is supposed to be “of a certain age.” Since she is only 33 now, she must have been only in her early 20s when she played the role 10 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 583November 18, 2022 9:30 PM

Some DL tropes are Datalounge gems.

Some have only grown sad and tired.

by Anonymousreply 584November 18, 2022 9:31 PM

Were they ever really funny, r584?

by Anonymousreply 585November 18, 2022 10:02 PM

The original Broadway cast of The Phantom of the Opera were sublime, it was a different show that’s being presented today. Crawford was giving a thrilling star turn, anyone saying he “was the worst” either didn’t see him live in the role, or is just a dumb cunt. Mark Jacoby and Davis Gaines were exemplary in the role as well, it was forced to be over sung back in the earlier days of the production. Production supervisor and Cameron cuck Seth Sklar-Heyn, a shallow hack, has destroyed any subtlety and plastered on the hammy and the slammy, Hal would be disappointed…

by Anonymousreply 586November 18, 2022 10:17 PM

^ “wasn’t”, sorry, rage tweeting.

by Anonymousreply 587November 18, 2022 10:18 PM

[quote]Crawford was the best Phantom, the ghostly tone made the show special. Nowadays the character is played like a confused junior high school quarterback with a bad case of acne. Tragic!

Well here is an actual high school student playing The Phantom and is quite good for his age.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 588November 18, 2022 10:42 PM

R588 he’s better than some of the past main stage Phantoms! He’s at the very least totally committed and organic, not robotic and screaming from the first note behind the mirror.

by Anonymousreply 589November 19, 2022 12:19 AM

That production is high school??? Pretty good! And the sets and costumes are high quality!

by Anonymousreply 590November 19, 2022 1:18 AM

[Quote] A friend of mine predicts that KPOP will be a tremendous hit because it will bring a whole new audience to Broadway.

KPOP was meant as a money grab and it’s failing to do what it was intended to do.

by Anonymousreply 591November 19, 2022 1:20 AM

Cast is singular, not plural R586. Thus, “The original cast of The Phantom of the Opera [was] sublime…”

by Anonymousreply 592November 19, 2022 2:49 AM

Thus

by Anonymousreply 593November 19, 2022 3:48 AM

This

by Anonymousreply 594November 19, 2022 3:48 AM

Thread

by Anonymousreply 595November 19, 2022 3:48 AM

Dies

by Anonymousreply 596November 19, 2022 3:49 AM

Nowhere

by Anonymousreply 597November 19, 2022 3:49 AM

Near

by Anonymousreply 598November 19, 2022 3:50 AM

Soon enough

by Anonymousreply 599November 19, 2022 3:50 AM

One #502. >sigh<

by Anonymousreply 600November 19, 2022 3:51 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!