Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

New York City Ballet Gossip

I am a huge fan of the New York City Ballet and this couple Megan Fairchild (sister of dancer Robert Fairchild) and Andrew Veyette, were a golden pair - their 2011 wedding got a big writeup in the NY Times. Now they are divorced but does anyone know why? Did Andrew cheat on her with another woman or man?

All of the dancers should be better known for their talent and looks - as the dancers once were - but now they don't get much press.

Does anyone have any other gossip at all about the company and any of their dancers? Their are some very sexy men who dance there, like Robert Fairchild, Amar Ramasar (hot!) Harrison Ball.

If you live in NYC and you have never been, then go! They are fantastically talented and are routinely featured in the world's greatest choreography!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73September 6, 2018 11:08 PM

Allegedly Robert Fairchild and Tiler Peck are in a fake marriage, her brother is his bf. There's more photos of him and her brother on his Instagram than of them together.

by Anonymousreply 1February 11, 2017 9:30 PM

If we're talking past and present NYC Ballet gossip....

Jerome Robbins was a frequent user of the casting couch. He had his pick of the male dancers...

by Anonymousreply 2February 11, 2017 9:34 PM

Amar Ramasar is married and very hot.

Andrew Veyette was LUCKY to marry Megan Fairchild - he is frigging ugly.

by Anonymousreply 3February 11, 2017 10:03 PM

Robert Fairchild and Tyler Peck have been dating since they were teenagers, with a break up in between. It's hard to believe that it's a fake marriage.

by Anonymousreply 4February 11, 2017 10:26 PM

Glorious Sara Mearns is the long-time gf of the very talented Broadway choreographer Joshua Bergasse.

by Anonymousreply 5February 11, 2017 10:29 PM

It is sad that the performing arts have been on the back burner for the last 20 years. They don't get much primetime play on PBS anymore. Classical music has suffered from the ignorance. All we get are repeats and threepeats of old rock groups and British comedies. It would be nice to have the arts back on television. Bravo and Arts & Entertainment aren't even options anymore.

by Anonymousreply 6February 11, 2017 10:39 PM

George Balanchine's first wife Tamara Geva (whom he had an open marriage with, as he also did with his other 3 wives) had flings with Tallulah Bankhead. Ironically Geva later married Tallulah's ex husband John Emery

I've heard rumors about Balanchine being bi

by Anonymousreply 7February 11, 2017 11:16 PM

A former tenant of ours was a member of the ensemble and always hinted that she had plenty of gossip. Unfortunately, she never spilled the beans. She was a nasty drunk.

by Anonymousreply 8February 11, 2017 11:23 PM

They had a nice house.

They dated for nine years before marrying, and then a short marriage before divorcing. Sounds painful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9February 11, 2017 11:33 PM

Megan Fairchild was a spectacular Miss Turnstiles in the Broadway revival of On the Town. Check her out in motion in the link at r9. The football players aren't too shabby either.

by Anonymousreply 10February 12, 2017 1:25 AM

Can't say I care about the dancing itself that much but I find the ballet world fascinating. I really enjoyed the tv show Flesh and Bone. Such a shame it was cancelled after only one season.

by Anonymousreply 11February 12, 2017 1:31 AM

[quote] There are two unclaimed bedrooms upstairs for when the couple decide to start a family, and a backyard where their basset hound, Trudy, and mixed-breed rescue puppy, Hobbs, can romp.

Sad.

by Anonymousreply 12February 12, 2017 1:37 AM

Andrew Veyette left Megan Fairchild and took up with Ashley Hod who is one of the rising corps ballerinas. (NYCB has a bumper crop of talented young ballerinas nowadays). The major lothario/pussy hound (and best male technician) is Joaquin de Luz who has dated Tiler Peck (before she married Robbie Fairchild) and Emilie Gerrity and several other company ballerinas. When he was a soloist at ABT, Joaquin came in as the husband of Carmen Corella, the sister of ABT superstar Angel Corella. Carmen also made soloist eventually. While all three were dancing at ABT, Joaquin started an affair with another corps dancer Rebecca Massey. Carmen had to continue to work everyday in the classroom and studio and onstage with Rebecca Massey. Angel and Carmen stayed at ABT but Joaquin and Carmen divorced. Shortly after that Joaquin joined NYCB.

We could talk about the marriage of Peter Martins and Darci Kistler - I have heard rumors that they do not live together and the marriage is open. There was a domestic violence incident over 17 years ago between the two that made the papers. Martins has been romantically linked with several top ballerinas in the company including one who has been mentioned previously in this thread.

Then there was the scandale of former NYCB principal Benjamin Millepied who choreographed the ballet in "Black Swan" and briefly took over as the head of the Paris Opera Ballet. He lived with Isabella Boylston of ABT (she was a corps and soloist dancer during their relationship, now she is a principal). He took up with "Black Swan" star Natalie Portman during the filming while Boylston was still living in their apartment. That must have been awkward when the affair with Portman hit the papers. But Boylston never peeped a word to the press and quietly danced her way into star roles and top position at ABT. Millepied and Portman married and had a baby. Boylston quietly married an Asian man a few years ago - a class act.

by Anonymousreply 13February 12, 2017 1:49 AM

Wow, thanks R13. Jesus. The bed hopping. Found the article about Martins and Kistler:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14February 12, 2017 2:50 AM

How about some ABT gossip?

by Anonymousreply 15February 12, 2017 4:00 AM

THANK YOU R13, brilliant stuff! I was wondering who Veyette ended up with! I have 2 subscriptions to the NYCB and I find Veyette to be the least talented and charismatic of the male principals. I will never forget a season-ending performance maybe 6-7 years ago in which Wendy Whelan danced with Veyette - OMG you could see her frustration as he barely made it through the partnering - when Phillip Neal came on stage and partnered with her right afterward she gave a sort of huge relieved smile,lol.

Taylor Stanley, one of their newest principals, is gay. I have seen him on Grindr.

by Anonymousreply 16February 12, 2017 4:50 AM

R13 here. There was also the incident in 2007 where Nilas Martins got busted for cocaine possession in Saratoga Springs where NYCB is in residence over the summer. He was caught by the police attempting to conceal a clear plastic bag which was found to contain cocaine. Amar Ramasar was with him at the time. Nilas retired from NYCB with no fanfare and no farewell gala in 2010. Since then Nilas has worked with Nevada Ballet Theater and Westside Ballet of Santa Monica with his wife, former NYCB ballerina Monique Meunier.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17February 12, 2017 6:48 PM

Why are there no longer any male stars in the ballet world, American or otherwise?

by Anonymousreply 18February 12, 2017 10:42 PM

Back in the early 70s, the then editor of CUE told me Mr. B was bi. Former friend picked up Jerry R. and took him home with Jerry concealing his identity. Jerry fucked friend and then post-coital, friend made mistake of wanting to discuss "Billion Dollar Baby". Jerry got dressed very quickly and left. I've heard from various people that Jacques D'Amboise was very homophobic (even with respect to Robbins) and LeClercq in an interview stated that "at least, Jacques liked girls". Check out a 2013 youtube on "relationships" at City Ballet. Not one gay couple! Tyler Peck and Sarah Mearns are interviewed in a video about "Sleeping Beauty" now playing at the State Theater and both women are so annoyingly millennial-voiced. Can't stand to listen to them, especially Tyler. Overhead Means say "my Mom's mac and cheese". Just shut up and dance! Once, during the final moments of "Who Cares?", Peter Martins banged my knee hard leaving Row S in the Orchestra and took a phone call from Darci(?) in the dark about which foods to pick up to bring home. I kid you not! Are they're any lesbians at City Ballet? Which Angle bro. has the hideous tatt on his chest? And, then there's Alastair Macaulay chief dance critic of the TIMES. Can't Anne Bass give him a clothing allowance?

by Anonymousreply 19February 13, 2017 12:39 AM

"Which Angle bro. has the hideous tatt on his chest? "

Oh God that is disappointing - maybe it is the older one, he gets fat really fast so I would think his time is ending soon.

by Anonymousreply 20February 13, 2017 12:43 AM

I lost all respect for Peter Martins the night I saw him give a great performance.

For years I saw him walk through performances and the only point of his existence at City Ballet was as a partner for Farrell.

Then right before he retired I saw him give a magnificent performance in Diamonds.

I thought, 'The arrogant (literally and figuratively) big-headed shit has been sleep walking for years.'

I guess Mr B and Lincoln had been fucking him for years.

Nothing else explains his career at NYCB.

by Anonymousreply 21February 13, 2017 3:39 AM

Martins was gorgeous when he was younger and tall enough to partner Farrell. That explains his career right there.

And, yes, he did sleepwalk through his performances.

by Anonymousreply 22February 13, 2017 7:29 AM

Yes he was gorgeous though whole walking around the stage saying look at me aren't I gorgeous routine appealing to a certain fan base totally turned me off.

We agree though that his partnering of Farrell was good enough to make one of the greatest dancers ever known shine at her best.

by Anonymousreply 23February 13, 2017 9:09 AM

Who are the gay boy couples at city ballet?

I saw a documentary about the creation of a new ballet

No conflict or inspiration at all in the thing

by Anonymousreply 24February 13, 2017 9:29 AM

The ballet doc was about justin peck

He seemed talented but sexless

by Anonymousreply 25February 13, 2017 9:45 AM

Omg.

by Anonymousreply 26February 13, 2017 10:04 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27February 13, 2017 10:05 AM

Yeah, Justin Peck is an odd duck. Ballet dancers generally are very fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 28February 13, 2017 1:01 PM

American ballet dancers have just one extraordinary talent: dancing ballet. Otherwise, they are just ordinary kids with a very limited education and world view. Not much intelligence or wit or personality off the stage. Oh, and they have extraordinary bodies in spite of their sometime white trash backgrounds.

Much like American opera singers. One extraordinary talent but not much else. And no extraordinary bodies.

by Anonymousreply 29February 13, 2017 2:18 PM

Wouldn't you say that not only of Americans but anyone who from a very young age has to live a practically monastic existence in order to develop a single incredibly difficult discipline?

Athletes are also susceptible to this.

They cannot be well rounded people. They then wouldn't be who they are.

by Anonymousreply 30February 13, 2017 4:25 PM

.I didn't dance in NYC, but I was a ballet dancer from 6-25, pro from 16-25 and you are correct, R29 and R30. I didn't really become a person until I went to college, a freshman at 26! The women are far, far more sheltered than the men, but I had no time to do anything but dance. At least most of the guys are gay with great bodies; I was proudly out at 15.

by Anonymousreply 31February 13, 2017 4:40 PM

R13 and R17 here. Both Angle brothers Justin and Tyler are gay. Up and not so coming (he has had major injuries) principal Chase Finlay has been dating up and coming principal Lauren Lovette (they are the golden young couple at NYCB now). Justin Peck supposedly was dating Teresa Reichlen but it ended... amicably or not, I don't know. Agree that Peck comes off sexless - not really gay but gayish. Amar Ramasar is straight. Maria Kowroski is married to former Royal Ballet dancer Martin Harvey since 2011 and they have one child now.

by Anonymousreply 32February 13, 2017 9:20 PM

Opera singers, even more than dancers, are born with an extraordinary gift that in America, at least, is usually discovered in the high school glee club, where it will hopefully be recognized and encouraged by a teacher or mentor. I would imagine that even the most talented singing kids don't grow up wanting to sing opera.

Unlike dancers or actors, it doesn't matter what they look like or even if they have a whole lot of poise. It's all about the power and quality of the voice.

by Anonymousreply 33February 13, 2017 9:30 PM

Know many young actors and opera singers

Personality and a sense of the world and history are really not a problem

I was the one who noticed the sexlessness of beck. I thought "my gaydar isn't going off "and the Ramasar guy really comes off as straight

What I remember about ballet kids in the 70's was that they were very sharp and very sexual

The documentary has zero insight energy conflict humor

by Anonymousreply 34February 13, 2017 9:39 PM

My only gossip, which isn't really gossip since Peck said it in a recent interview in the Times, is that Peck and Robert Fairchild were roommates at SAB and used to stay up all night playing Dance Dance Revolution.

by Anonymousreply 35February 13, 2017 9:47 PM

Any gossip on Rachel Rutherford? (Her mom, the late Gage Bush Englund, was a friend of my grandmother's.)

by Anonymousreply 36February 13, 2017 10:57 PM

Opera singers tend to be more sophisticated than ballet dancers. You don't really know what kind of voice is there until after adolescence and, even then, it takes a few years to develop. Ballet dancers don't go to college to develop as dancers; opera singers do--or to conservatories.

You can have a normal childhood and adolescence as an opera singer, ballet dancers, particularly the girls, have to start early and focus heavily on dance--it's the pointe work.

Both require natural talent--ballet has a particular body type; opera requires a basic instrument and musicality.

by Anonymousreply 37February 14, 2017 1:10 AM

Yes, that's what mastery of an actual talent requires R29.

by Anonymousreply 38February 14, 2017 1:52 AM

Classical singing is nothing like ballet.

by Anonymousreply 39February 14, 2017 1:53 AM

R32 Tyler Angle is not particularly subtle. His Instagram is a festival of campuses

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40February 14, 2017 9:55 AM

Most of those emntioned in this thread are on PBS right now.

by Anonymousreply 41February 25, 2017 1:19 AM

It should come as a surprise to absolutely no one that Peter Martins has (finally) been publicly accused of sexual harassment. As far as I know none of the current company members have commented about his suspension from SAB and the allegations that he traded sex for roles. Who do we think he's been banging? Hopefully not Tiler Peck, she's adorable. Is this why Wendy Whelan seemed so bitter towards him in her documentary? Is Sara Mearns really the Jennifer Lawrence of ballet?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42December 6, 2017 4:56 AM

R42, no surprise to anyone who saw "Turning Point" with M. Baryshnikov, Anne Bancroft, and Shirley MacLaine, back in the 1970s!

Peter is quite gorgeous...he must think he is God's gift to ballerinas.

by Anonymousreply 43December 8, 2017 10:38 PM

R13, wow Natalie Portman stealing Benjamin from Isabella Boylston....that reminds me of Julia Roberts "stealing" her Danny from that Vera person. Can't this A-List Hollywood gals leave the boyfriends of the Civilians alone?

by Anonymousreply 44December 8, 2017 11:10 PM

Never understood Boylston's appeal, her port de bras is grotesque and she looks like a terrier. Bland and unremarkable in every way, like most of ABT's principals these days. There seems to be a culture of airheadedness at ABT that doesn't exist at NYCB.

by Anonymousreply 45December 8, 2017 11:43 PM

R44 Joaquin De Luz has been at it again - he was engaged to Emilie Gerrity and they had set a date. It had even gotten to the point that there were bachelor and bachelorette parties set up for them and several NYCB members participated. Then... the wedding didn't happen. I suspect that Joaquin got cold feet. But I wonder if a wedding reception was planned and paid for and a honeymoon....

I think most of you have heard on the Broadway threads that ex-NYCB dancer Robert Fairchild left his wife Tiler Peck for another man - his understudy and replacement in the London production of "An American in Paris" a handsome and charming young man called Ashley Day. It is BIG LOVE between those two and they can barely contain their joy on Instagram and social media. Meanwhile Robbie and Tiler's lawyers are working out the divorce. Interestingly Robbie's Mormon family (including NYCB principal Megan Fairchild) have embraced his lifestyle change and have accepted his new partner. Megan and ex sister-in-law Tiler are no longer friends or following each other on social media. Happy as I am for Robbie and Ashley, I can't help but think that the totally blameless Tiler Peck got fucked over by everyone here...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46January 10, 2018 2:51 PM

[quote]Is this why Wendy Whelan seemed so bitter towards him in her documentary?

She was bitter towards him because he told her she was too old to dance certain roles and that she needed to start thinking about retirement. That caught her completely off-guard, because she hadn't even begun to think about leaving NYCB. Then she got injured and more or less blamed Martins for that too, as she felt her injury was a physical response to being told she was "too old."

I have great respect for Peter Martins that I have expressed on another thread about NYCB on DL. I have no doubt that he is a major hot head who screamed at and intimidated some of his dancers. He is an intimidating guy. And I have no doubt he hit on some of them too. Honestly, I don't care. He was in a impossible position taking over after Balanchine's death and I think for the most part, he did a very good job.

by Anonymousreply 47January 10, 2018 3:10 PM

"I think most of you have heard on the Broadway threads that ex-NYCB dancer Robert Fairchild left his wife Tiler Peck for another man - his understudy and replacement in the London production of "An American in Paris" a handsome and charming young man called Ashley Day."

Link please as I so want to believe this. Did a Google search and found nothing.

by Anonymousreply 48January 10, 2018 3:23 PM

R4, you must feel rather sheepish after what has happened to the Fairchild-Peck marriage since your post. And speaking of Peter Martins, I'm told he deliberately pressured gay male dancers to marry women, because he himself is a rabid homophobe -- aside from all of his other major personality issues. I'm glad he is finally out of NYCB.

by Anonymousreply 49January 10, 2018 3:48 PM

I used to love Ballet until I dated a guy who convinced me that it was inane. Since then, I see ballet as a lot of flouncing about on stage.

by Anonymousreply 50January 10, 2018 3:55 PM

W H Auden once said of ballet that it is a very small art only fit for adolescents. And he was friends with George Balanchine!

by Anonymousreply 51January 11, 2018 4:29 AM

Chase Finlay has just resigned from the New York City Ballet due to "inappropriate communications" via text/e-mail. Fellow hotties Zachary Catazaro and Amar Ramasar have been suspended without pay until 2019 for the same reason.

Hoping there's some kind of gay love affair involved. Anyone got any dish?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52August 29, 2018 7:58 PM

I worked in the dance world for many years (as a musician), both in ballet and modern dance. Many many gay men, but, yes, a few straight men. AIDS took an enormous toll on the dance world, and, I think, led to a certain amount of re-closeting in the 1990's and beyond, because of the stigma. (Entire dance companies died off in the 80's and 90's - in some, virtually every male dancer got ill or died). It's true that professional ballet dancers are "under-educated". They are not stupid people, by any means, but the demands of their profession required most of them to drop out of school or be tutored, starting at high school age or before. Discipline they have in spades though, and most transition well to working lives in other fields after they retire, often going back to school and then having entirely different careers. Strangely, dancers, in my experience, are not proud of their gorgeous bodies. They often are so self-critical of their own bodies, that they don't see how much closer to physical perfection they are than most of the rest of us. Nor do they see their bodies or their physical moves as sexy. All the stretches and poses we see them in that look overtly sexual exist for another purpose in their minds. They are not nearly as sexually uninhibited as we imagine looking at them, even though their bodies can get into positions that would send the rest of us to the hospital, and what they would be capable of in the bedroom is way beyond what most of us could imagine. It was all very surprising to me as a musician.

by Anonymousreply 53August 29, 2018 9:04 PM

Anyone know what happened/what they (maybe) did?

by Anonymousreply 54August 31, 2018 8:14 AM

was an extra in swan lake when Rudolf N and margot F danced it bak in the day, rudy kept a hot big blonde muscle boy in his dressing room, nude, with the door open, it was fun to walk by....after partys were an orgy, many hotties in the production. my neighbor fuked wayne sleep bak when he was cute, he was nice.

rudy would get fukd up at partys and be in a bedroom taking on all men who would fuk him. the host would yell: 'rudy is ready to be fukd', , and men flocked to deposit cum into him... he was georgous and fun in his youth.

by Anonymousreply 55August 31, 2018 8:36 AM

Chase, Zachary, and Amar are among the straight guys in NYCB, so I suspect texts were to women.

by Anonymousreply 56August 31, 2018 9:53 AM

Rudys ass lips were quite used and floppy..... but his muscular control of his manhole was legendary. He could open a beer bottle with them lips.

by Anonymousreply 57August 31, 2018 10:28 AM

I would really like to hear the details on this. It seems odd that three guys would all make the same mistake at the same time. All I can think of is that all three send dick shots to a woman or one of them shared nudes of his girlfriend with the other two. It just seems really odd and a bit much.

by Anonymousreply 58August 31, 2018 10:41 AM

R58 sharing nudes would actually make a ton of sense. And may explain why one chose to resign without even discussing the allegations (he who was dating a 19 year old...I digress). But to be suspended for a season just for receiving them? Really a bit much.

by Anonymousreply 59September 2, 2018 7:41 AM

yeah, R59, and it seems a bit self destructive. Good men are hard to find in Ballet. This will probably really hurt the City Ballet season. Three of the principal men out? Who wants to pay to see second string dancers?

by Anonymousreply 60September 2, 2018 10:53 AM

Interesting stuff, r53. Please start a thread to talk of your life in the performing arts.

by Anonymousreply 61September 3, 2018 4:47 AM

R44, I know, right? My thoughts exactly about la belle Natalie.

Didn't B. Spears and A. Keys also steal the bfs of civiians?

by Anonymousreply 62September 3, 2018 4:49 PM

The photo at R42 proves that Father Time is cruel to gorgeous men as well as beautiful women.

by Anonymousreply 63September 3, 2018 5:14 PM

So the casting couch has always been par for the course in the ballet world?

by Anonymousreply 64September 3, 2018 5:14 PM

Just check the accounts RobertFairchild follows on IG, if you don’t believe he is gay. Why would she marry (and previously) date a gay guy? How did she expect things to end? Now he can have a princess wedding where he can be the princess this time. The bf is really cute.

by Anonymousreply 65September 3, 2018 6:33 PM

New info on the dancer who left the company.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66September 5, 2018 5:36 PM

Well, this is much worse than I've speculated. And I just *love* that they kept the name of the disgusting donor private. So do you think he is? Ansel Elgort has been photographed with Chase at galas. Could he be that gross?

by Anonymousreply 67September 6, 2018 6:50 AM

Somebody mentioned Wayne Sleep of the Royal Ballet upthread. His gayness can be seen from space (he's like a British Leslie Jordan) and he has a husband, but he waited until his mother died to come out and even now he only admits to being bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 68September 6, 2018 7:09 AM

I’m surprised that there are so much straight dancers in the ballet world ! I thought they where all gay .

by Anonymousreply 69September 6, 2018 7:24 AM

That really is the biggest revelation to come out of all this.

by Anonymousreply 70September 6, 2018 7:35 AM

Aside from Nureyev and, going way back, Nijinsky, the male ballet stars I'm familiar with are/were straight (at least publicly): Balanchine, Baryshnikov, Peter Martins, Jacques d'Amboise, Edward Villella, Patrick Bissell, Benjamin Millepied, etc.

by Anonymousreply 71September 6, 2018 7:57 AM

"The real-life New York City Ballet is a “breeding ground for sexual exploitation” where male dancers and staffers traded explicit photo of female ballerinas — and one donor suggested tying up “girls” so they could “abuse them like farm animals,” "

Probably a bunch of future Dataloungers, considering the odds, a few bitches trading pictures of "Fraus" with snippy captions, and making jokes about hooves and trotters. Just like here!

by Anonymousreply 72September 6, 2018 11:05 PM

Where are the nude pics of hot ballet boys?

by Anonymousreply 73September 6, 2018 11:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!