Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Farley Granger has to be the most underrated Old Hollywood male beauty

Whenever people talk about an attractive men from the Old Hollywood era they usually mention Marlon Brando, Paul Newman, and others. I personally think Farley was the most attractive man from that era. He was so pretty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 8, 2023 9:46 PM

You may find this thread of interest. There have also been seven more recent threads about him, primarily about his sexuality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 30, 2022 12:49 AM

Please OP!

Skinny as a skink.

Pendulous lower lip (like a loon's)

Tubercular chest.

An utterly passive demeanour.

by Anonymousreply 2September 30, 2022 12:56 AM

Gee, OP, what a non scoop. Farley Granger is a DL glamour guy fav.

Why do people come up with such preposterous trolling headlines to start a thread? To provoke slapback like mine?

by Anonymousreply 3September 30, 2022 12:57 AM

Maureen O' Hara was twice as butch.

She put Farley across her knee to slap some sense into his flat buttocks.

by Anonymousreply 4September 30, 2022 1:12 AM

Farley was passive.

by Anonymousreply 5September 30, 2022 10:19 PM

He was absolutely sex on a stick in Hans Christian Anderson as the ballerinas husband.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 1, 2022 12:17 AM

^ He has no meat on his buttocks!

by Anonymousreply 7October 1, 2022 12:19 AM

He's kinda like the Rob Lowe, Ryan Phillipe and Keanu Reeves of his day. Very beautiful but not much there. Not at all a great actor but the camera loved him. Hitchcock and Nicholas Ray got good performances out of him. Rope and Strangers on a Train are important gay-coded films. They Live By Night was the prototype to Rebel Without A Cause and one of the earliest modern teen films. I liked Side Street and Edge of Doom too, great film noirs.

I find it interesting he was born rich but his family lost their wealth and his mom put him into the entertainment industry hoping to get something.

by Anonymousreply 8October 2, 2022 3:03 PM

I recently watched that movie Farley and Shelley did together called Behave Yourself. That was the 1950s equivalent of generic, lukewarm romcoms just created to cash in on a celebrity PR pairing. Neither Farley and Shelley were very funny in it either. The cute little dog was the most talented actor there.

by Anonymousreply 9November 23, 2022 10:50 AM

For a Mexican, he is just average. Desi Arnaz was a way sexier Mexican.

by Anonymousreply 10November 23, 2022 10:54 AM

I saw him play Dracula at the Westport Playhouse in1978, as an 8 yo I was very impressed. Super handsome, would he have been in his 40s?

by Anonymousreply 11November 23, 2022 11:00 AM

Like Monty Clift, Farley had a subtle not quite straight presence, even when trying to butch it up. He wasn’t comparable to Newman, Brando and other stars of that era who were more traditionally masculine and sexual seeming.

by Anonymousreply 12November 23, 2022 11:07 AM

Farley was perfect in They Live By Night, Strangers on a Train and Rope. I agree he didn't pass for straight and he lacked the masculinity and aggression of Brando. He's more passive and has this androgynous energy. Similar to Monty actually. Farley should have worked with Nicholas Ray and Hitchcock more because they tapped into strengths.

by Anonymousreply 13November 23, 2022 11:30 AM

Anyone who can pretend he enjoyed fucking Arthur Laurents is a great actor.

by Anonymousreply 14November 23, 2022 2:12 PM

His memoir is great. Read it now.

by Anonymousreply 15November 23, 2022 2:15 PM

But he aged into such a milquetoast.

by Anonymousreply 16November 23, 2022 2:42 PM

I wonder if Harry Belafonte let Farley suck him off under the influence.

by Anonymousreply 17November 23, 2022 5:16 PM

Hottie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 1, 2023 1:02 PM

Op, just no. You've been bumping this thread for 3 months and there are no FG takers.

by Anonymousreply 19January 1, 2023 1:17 PM

I'll take Farley.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 1, 2023 1:26 PM

It's good Farley settled down early and was in liberal circles to explore his bisexuality back in 1940s/50s and leaving Hollywood early improved his confidence. If he was still a fucked up closet case, he may have ended up an AIDS casualty. Thank goodness he found a man and discovered the joys of sexual exclusivity.

by Anonymousreply 21January 1, 2023 1:50 PM

He looked pretty Mediterranean. But apparently he's just English and Dutch. Must be that ancient Celtic DNA.

by Anonymousreply 22January 7, 2023 5:54 PM

Who has read his autobiography?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 7, 2023 6:05 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 7, 2023 6:16 PM

He was great in film noirs. He sucked in comedies though as he's not funny.

by Anonymousreply 25January 7, 2023 6:27 PM

We randomly started watching a 1981 slasher called The Prowler. I had to look up the movie on IMDb to confirm it really was Farley Granger playing the sheriff. Funny seeing him slumming in something like that. It’s a pretty bad film. Spoiler: Farley’s character is the killer.

by Anonymousreply 26January 8, 2023 12:54 AM

OP, quit trying to make fetch (and Farley) happen!

by Anonymousreply 27January 8, 2023 12:59 AM

SPOILER!

Farley was the killer on Murrder, She wrote.

by Anonymousreply 28January 8, 2023 1:04 AM

When I first saw Strangers On a Train, when I first saw Farley’s first scene, there was just something about him that seemed so coquettish with the other actor, I thought, “Is he gay?”

I had the same experience last night watching The Magnificent Seven. Young Horst Buchholz was just OGLING Yul Brynner, I wondered if he was gay, and yes, a it turns out, he was bisexual, just like Farley.

by Anonymousreply 29January 8, 2023 2:00 AM

Pouted his way thru "Rope." But indeed pretty...

by Anonymousreply 30January 8, 2023 2:38 AM

Oh, the Underrated Troll is back, we see.

by Anonymousreply 31January 8, 2023 3:43 AM

R29 He's come across as even more gayer in "Behave Yourself" with Shelley Winters. That was a clear PR movie to convince the public they were really a couple. LMFAO at the title card portraying Shelley as some type of sexy vamp.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 8, 2023 7:59 PM

Farley had a similar androgynous quality to Louis Jourdan, who was actually straight, unlike Farley.

by Anonymousreply 33January 8, 2023 8:05 PM

R32 I gave up watching after the first painful ten minutes.

by Anonymousreply 34January 8, 2023 8:20 PM

He talks about why he felt his career didn't take off the way Goodwyn wanted and getting typecast as dark, brooding antiheroes or bland love interests didn't help either. Shelley is such a fag hag.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 8, 2023 9:38 PM

Makes my midwestern Oakdale heart proud that he and Calhoun shared a (seemingly) nice life.

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 36January 8, 2023 9:44 PM

Granger was too gentle and passive to fit the all-American movie lead at the time. I think he was best in those psychological films he did.

by Anonymousreply 37January 8, 2023 9:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!