Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Farley Granger was so gorgeous

I just got done watching "They Live by Night," where he was captured beautifully—every closeup of his face just melts me. Do you think he was a top or a bottom?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93Last Saturday at 4:38 PM

Bottom. He was a pretty nelly queen.

by Anonymousreply 111/26/2020

I adore Farley Granger and John Dall both in "Rope". And while I know times were very different, I wish closeted Cary Grant had taken the role of Rupert Cadell and embraced it. I'm not typically a fan of remakes, but I'd almost love to see a "Rope" remake to see what they could do with it in that regard.

by Anonymousreply 211/26/2020

I read his autobio Include Me Out.

Very entertaining

by Anonymousreply 311/26/2020

Robert Calhoun sucked his dick every day. Lucky!

by Anonymousreply 411/26/2020

He's lovely. Those are blowjob lips.

by Anonymousreply 511/26/2020

He was sexy and openly bisexual. Like Brando, he had pair of pouty dick-sucking lips.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 605/03/2021

r1 Big-dick bottom

by Anonymousreply 705/03/2021

He had the Mimi Rogers funny mouth thing going on.

by Anonymousreply 805/03/2021

He was just as pretty as Monty Clift.

Monty relied on good directors and editors to 'perform' well on screen.

by Anonymousreply 905/03/2021

An out gay/bi man. Have a lot of respect for him.

by Anonymousreply 1005/03/2021
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1105/03/2021

A collection of pics of Farley Granger here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1205/03/2021

In Visconti's "Senso." Gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 1305/03/2021

He had an underbite.

by Anonymousreply 1405/03/2021

Bottom

by Anonymousreply 1505/03/2021

R9, Monty Clift had a pretty good career on the New York stage.

by Anonymousreply 1605/03/2021

Monty left the New York stage as soon as he could.

Farley was Visconti's fall-back choice for 'Senso'. (I've forgotten his first choice to star opposite The Divine Ingrid who was hanging around Italy at the time)

Farley had that gorgeous bump in his aristocratic nose just like Robert Taylor and Norma Shearer.

by Anonymousreply 1705/03/2021

R17, Monty did not leave the New York stage as soon as he could. Hollywood beckoned, but he refused. It took 11 years since his stage debut in 1935 to make his first Hollywood picture in 1946, and even then he refused to sign a studio contract. He was already being branded difficult, but he didn't want to be tied down to a studio and wanted the freedom to return to the stage. He never did though, except for an off-Broadway staging of "The Seagull" in 1954 as a favor to his friend Mira Rostova.

Farley Granger was a contemporary of Clift and Brando, but Granger's film career seemed to have petered out by the mid-'50s. He did a lot of those televised theater anthology shows like Playhouse 90, Kraft Theater, and the US Steel Hour.

by Anonymousreply 1805/03/2021

I'd love to see Monty and Farley bump noses together.

by Anonymousreply 1905/03/2021

Meh.

by Anonymousreply 2005/03/2021

Didn't Visconti want Monty for 'Senso'?

Monty was in Rome appearing in that Selznick abortion—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2105/03/2021

R21, Visconti wanted Brando and Ingrid Bergman.

by Anonymousreply 2205/03/2021

Absolutely gorgeous. One of the most beautiful men in Hollywood history.

by Anonymousreply 2305/03/2021

[quote] Brando and Ingrid Bergman.

I'd love to see those two powerful performers IGNITE the screen !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2405/03/2021

Doesn't do a thing for me, but to each his own.

Farley Granger rolled around with two of the biggest sluts in entertainment world; Shelly Winters and Leonard Bernstein.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2505/03/2021

Never heard of film Senso, will have to check it out, seems interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2605/03/2021

Monty and Farley were both so passive. They suffered a lot in tearjerkers on screen but they were always seemed to be victims.

by Anonymousreply 2705/04/2021

R26 You must see 'Senso' on the big screen.

Farley is flaccid but there another man in the cast called Massimo who supplies a little more testosterone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2805/04/2021

Shelley Winters had the smelliest snatch, ever! How could Farley lick that and then go suck Robert Calhoun’s dick????

by Anonymousreply 2905/04/2021

Shelley started those rumours herself with those two fictional autobiographies. She was never the slut she wanted to be because no guy (unless drunk) would go near her so she made it up.

by Anonymousreply 3005/04/2021

I wasn't just A slut, I was THE slut!

by Anonymousreply 3105/04/2021

Shelley’s twat stunk to high heaven.

by Anonymousreply 3205/04/2021

Farley's appeal was similar to the equally-limp Peter Lawford's.

But Farley faded into obscurity while Lawford hang out with the slimy rat pack.

by Anonymousreply 3305/04/2021

Farley was hot.

by Anonymousreply 3405/04/2021

He was gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous. Not the greatest actor, though, which is why his career never took off in a big way. I think r19 that in fact Monty and Farley *did* have a fling or hook-up at one point. I seem to recall this being hinted at in Arthur Laurents' memoir (he and Farley had a long relationship). Now Monty and Farley together - THAT is something to fantasize about - even if they were both passive bottoms. But so beautiful together, I bet. In Farley's memoir he also suggests having had a one-night-stand with Jean Marais. Another hot pairing!

by Anonymousreply 3505/04/2021

Farley was a beautiful person inside and out. You bitches talking smack about him should be ashamed.

by Anonymousreply 3605/04/2021

Farley used to cum in Bob Calhoun’s mouth.

by Anonymousreply 3705/04/2021

Any pictures of him knitting?

by Anonymousreply 3805/04/2021

I ran into him a few times on the UWS where he lived. Charming, lovely, classy man.

I still think Strangers on a Train is one of the best movies ever made; Granger was good in it but poor Robert Walker wiped the floor with everyone on screen.

by Anonymousreply 3905/04/2021

Are you really a bisexual if the only woman you are known to have fucked is Shelley Winters, to promote a minor romantic comedy about a couple and their dog?

by Anonymousreply 4005/04/2021

I saw Granger do a Q and A after a screening of Strangers on a Train at MOMA around 2008.

I never realized how tall he was. Even at his age then, he was a strapping guy. Total silver daddy.

by Anonymousreply 4105/04/2021

He was smoking hot in his day.

by Anonymousreply 4205/04/2021

R40, Granger claimed to have bedded Ava Gardner. Miss Gardner herself may have dipped her toe in the lady pond once or twice. So she may have been open so such dalliances.

by Anonymousreply 4305/04/2021

He only made 4 movies that I remember

He was terrified of displaying his navel

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4405/04/2021

R6 I don't know how you can claim he was "openly bisexual".

by Anonymousreply 4505/04/2021

R18 You mention Monty did an off-Broadway staging of "The Seagull" in 1954.

It's not listed below but did any of you NY Eldergays see it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4605/04/2021

R18, It's in the Internet Off-Broadway database (iobdb). Though Clift got good reviews, his trusted acting coach, Mira Rostova's florid acting style and unintelligible accented English got panned by the critics. This embarrassed Clift, who had been her biggest supporter, and he dropped her soon afterwards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4705/04/2021

That cast list includes Kevin McCarthy!

by Anonymousreply 4805/04/2021
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4905/04/2021

R39, I also saw Granger once on Columbus Avenue, walking with an aide, not too long before he died. Even as an elderly man, he had a striking presence, very handsome, and yes, he was quite tall. He and Arthur Laurents must have looked like Mutt and Jeff.

by Anonymousreply 5005/04/2021

Allegedly tried to seduce Harry Belafonte...oh, what a pair that would have been, but Harry is hetero.

by Anonymousreply 5105/04/2021

Please. He was 100% gay.

What was it about post-war Hollywood that it suddenly seemed to embrace prettier leading men like Farley, Monty, Guy Madison, Rock Hudson and Tab Hunter? I'm sure superagent Henry Willson had a lot to do with it but why were audiences suddenly so into prettyboy beefcake?

by Anonymousreply 5205/04/2021

Read Arthur Laurents' two memoirs. (Laurents wrote the book for Gypsy and West Side Story).

Laurents had a long-time affair with FG. It is superb dish about Broadway and Hollywood in the '40s through the 90s. Laurents is a superb writer. More should know about him. And yes, FG was 100% gay.

by Anonymousreply 5305/04/2021

R52 These 5 five men were all pretty much eye-candy for females.

Four of them had weak, almost hairless chests. No beefcake at all.

by Anonymousreply 5405/04/2021

I recall seeing Farley Granger for the first time when I rented the Alfred Hitchcock film Rope from my video store. I was blown away by how beautiful he was. Then shortly after I happened to see him in the film noir, Strangers On A Train, when I went to see a double bill at a revival house. I've been a big fan ever since.

by Anonymousreply 5505/04/2021

R52, Tyrone Power, Errol Flynn, and Robert Taylor were pre-war and pretty. Although they aged quickly due to their penchant for booze and cigarettes. Prettyboys were always around.

by Anonymousreply 5605/04/2021

r56, those 3 were pretty only for the first 2 or 3 years of their careers but you could say that about a lot of stars, John Wayne, Gary Cooper, Gregory Peck just to name a few. The ones I mentioned had a decided softer side, posed for shirtless beefcake photos, and it was really part of their appeal.

And Granger and Madison had lovely hairy chests.

by Anonymousreply 5705/04/2021

Jane might as well be invisible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5805/04/2021

R25, are you serious!? Farley Granger was involved with Ma Gogan from Pete’s Dragon!? Ew!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5905/04/2021

John Gavin was another gorgeous hunk from the 1950s.

by Anonymousreply 6005/04/2021

R52 Women wanted prettier and passive men like Anthony Perkins, Farley and Monty.

Roy Scherer/Rock Hudson was handsome but Doris Day just used him as a toy and a nincompoop eunuch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61Last Wednesday at 2:28 PM

What is it about the film quality of ROPE that gives it such a shallow and flat look? Is it the camera work or the lighting or the actual film stock?

It almost looks like a 1960s TV soap. Was the harshness intentional on Hitchcock's part?

by Anonymousreply 62Last Wednesday at 7:23 PM

Hitchcock's Rope was a disastrous, silly experiment which failed.

Hitchcock gained fame when the talkies came in the 1920s by cutting dialogue to a minimum, quick takes and his use of a mobile camera. He reached the top of his profession in the 40s and tried some weird experiments. First, he did 'Lifeboat' which was contained in a tiny space. Then he did 'Rope' which was equally bizarre using something called 'The Ten-minute Take'.

Go to Google and look for The Ten-minute Take. It was a stupid decision and makes 'Rope' tedious to watch.

by Anonymousreply 63Last Wednesday at 7:42 PM

This article is from 1949 and I'm sceptical about the claims.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64Last Thursday at 3:49 PM

MGM had two Grangers on their backlot at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 65Last Thursday at 3:52 PM

Wasn't Farley actually the property of Sam Goldwyn, not MGM?

I'm kind of surprised nobody made him change his first name.

by Anonymousreply 66Last Thursday at 4:19 PM

I don't know, R66.

I wish we did know who owned who because then we'd understand why so many movie performers were so badly miscast.

by Anonymousreply 67Last Thursday at 4:25 PM

I guess since Farley didn't die young, he's not seen as a gay icon like James Dean despite actually being openly gay and having an excellent filmography in his youth. Nicholas Ray used Farley for his first film, the noir road movie, [italic] They Live By Night [/italic].

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68Last Thursday at 8:12 PM

^ What do you mean Farley was openly gay?

by Anonymousreply 69Last Thursday at 8:16 PM

Interesting when you read some Farley Granger obits there is totally no mention of his life partner or even that he was gay. So much for being "out".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70Last Thursday at 8:33 PM

Others however set things right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71Last Thursday at 8:33 PM

He exuded zero masculine energy and had no chemistry with the ladies. But he played immoral guys really well.

by Anonymousreply 72Last Thursday at 8:46 PM

He got canned from One Life To Live because he couldn’t remember his lines.

by Anonymousreply 73Last Friday at 2:07 AM

His "love scenes" with beefy, butch Ruth Roman in STRANGERS ON A TRAIN are pretty laughable.

Bruno (Robert Walker) knew a homo when he saw one.

by Anonymousreply 74Last Friday at 4:31 AM

After Farely Granger threw him over bit later Arthur Laurents took up with Tom Hatcher, the two became life partners for next fifty or so years.

Gore Vidal suggested AL look up TH at a Beverly Hills clothing store where the young actor was working at the time. What was lust at first sight soon developed into something far more. The couple's NYC home was a beautiful townhouse located on Saint Luke's Place in West Village.

Tom Hatcher would go onto a successful real estate career largely in Quogue , Long Island. Arthur Laurents had small home out there that became the couple's place in the country so to speak. This was back when much of Southhampton like rest of Long Island was still farmland (mostly potato fields), and land was cheap. Far cry from what things have been for past few decades.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75Last Friday at 10:59 AM

More:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76Last Friday at 11:01 AM

Tom Hatcher's obit in NYT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77Last Friday at 11:02 AM

He was hot

by Anonymousreply 78Last Friday at 11:07 AM

Farley (No-Navel) Granger

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79Last Friday at 2:31 PM

I just recently watched ROPE on TCM and had NO inkling that the James Stewart character was gay. What's there in the film that would make one think that?

by Anonymousreply 80Last Friday at 2:39 PM

[quote] had NO inkling that the James Stewart character was gay

No, his two students were homosexual (and killers)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81Last Friday at 2:57 PM

Well, r81, according to Hitchcock experts and screenwriter Arthur Laurents, the James Stewart character is also gay and, I believe, sort of a mentor to the young men. I wonder about the play ROPE and how latent the homosexuality is there (if at all).

I think the only connection ROPE has to the Leopold/Loeb case is that of the two murdering young men, Leopold and Loeb, one was the top and one was the bottom. In the Hitchcock film, Farley is clearly the bottom. It's amazing his agents and his studio allowed him to make the film.

by Anonymousreply 82Last Friday at 4:04 PM

I bet that 99.9% of the audience in 1948 were utterly oblivious to any sodomy in this story.

by Anonymousreply 83Last Friday at 4:10 PM

Even for gay audiences, r83? Did gaydar not exist in mid-century America?

As a child watching Farley Granger, Tab Hunter and Rock Hudson in movies on TV, something just piqued my interest and told me they were homosexuals (this was in the late1950s) before I really grasped what that even meant.

Gaydar, most of us were born with it. An entire DL thread could be composed on this.

by Anonymousreply 84Last Friday at 4:18 PM

Tab Hunter and Rock Hudson don't ping for me in their movies.....but Farley does.

by Anonymousreply 85Last Friday at 4:54 PM

That Gore Vidal put Arthur Laurents onto Tom Hatcher begs the question if the former got there first.

On another note don't know if Farley Granger lived his life as totally out, but Arthur Laurents certainly did, and didn't give a fuck.

But then again AL was "theater people", and even in 1950's, 1950's or even 1970's America people tended to make allowances if I understand correctly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86Last Friday at 8:51 PM

Eileen Fulton didn’t want to work with ‘a gay’ but then she found out he was the EP’s lover. Oops!

by Anonymousreply 87Last Saturday at 2:01 AM

What is the deal with the navel thing, any theories?

In Rope i think it is made clear they share a bedroom. There is a whole theory about their sex life based on the opening of a champagne bottle by John Dall.

by Anonymousreply 88Last Saturday at 2:25 AM

A friend of mine interviewed Farley when he was in Milwaukee on his book tour.

Calhoun was there, as well, answering most of my friend's questions when Farley often went blank.

by Anonymousreply 89Last Saturday at 3:00 AM

I remember witnessing a sad audition for a play in NY the mid 1980s in which a befuddled Farley came a cropper, blowing the lines and looking generally ineffectual. He was not in bad shape physically but there was nothing hot about him. He did not get the role. Maybe this was during the time he was appearing soap operas?

Who is Calhoun, r89?

by Anonymousreply 90Last Saturday at 5:49 AM

R90

Robert Calhoun was Farley Granger's life partner, see R71.

Please keep up!

by Anonymousreply 91Last Saturday at 1:26 PM

[quote] …befuddled Farley came a cropper, blowing the lines and looking generally ineffectual…

That's the difference between a genuine actor and someone who stands in front of a movie camera.

by Anonymousreply 92Last Saturday at 4:35 PM

Hitchcock said he used his performers as 'cattle'. He used Farley twice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93Last Saturday at 4:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!