Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Most Overrated Vocalist

Only ACTUAL singers please (no Britney, Madonna, Janet, etc.). My choice is Barbra Streisand. You can tell she doesn't really like to sing (and she has admitted this), her voice is "pretty" but that's about it. On her duet with Donna Summer, Summer destroys her and really lets loose. What are your choices?

by Anonymousreply 554October 8, 2023 12:26 PM

Mariah Carey owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 1September 16, 2022 12:56 AM

This has to be pre-2006 too I don’t think pop music has had an actual singer after Leona Lewis and Kelly Clarkson (who just screams now)

by Anonymousreply 2September 16, 2022 12:57 AM

People like Ed Sheeran definitely don't cut it. But I do think Lady Gaga is a singer even if her music is dull now.

by Anonymousreply 3September 16, 2022 12:58 AM

Sorry Op, I'm going to go with underrated and say Pink. If she can hold her own and is up there next to Clarkson in my book.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 16, 2022 1:23 AM

I watched Barbra’s concert on Netflix and got really into it. By the end, I was standing and cheering in my living room.

by Anonymousreply 5September 16, 2022 1:44 AM

R4, I'm ok with that opinion :-). For some reason, Pink is one of those artists that really turns off some people. People either love her or hate her.

by Anonymousreply 6September 16, 2022 1:44 AM

This is screaming?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 16, 2022 1:45 AM

Lea Michele. The pipes flow, bit the expression is mediocre

by Anonymousreply 8September 16, 2022 1:55 AM

Michael Fucking Crawford.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 16, 2022 2:03 AM

Overrated by whom? Twitter? Ranker? Buzzfeed? Can't we just like who we like? And why not Madonna? I'm not a big fan, but I think most people would consider her a "vocalist." Much rather listen to her than to Cher.

by Anonymousreply 10September 16, 2022 2:04 AM

Beyonce Knowles. She doesn't sing. She warbles. And she doesn't even do that well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 16, 2022 2:07 AM

[quote] And why not Madonna? I'm not a big fan, but I think most people would consider her a "vocalist."

I'm a former huge fan but no. She was never a vocalist. Nobody cites Madonna when people discuss great voices.

by Anonymousreply 12September 16, 2022 2:24 AM

R11, something about Beyonce's tone just sounds a bit harsh to me at times. Not sure what it is exactly. I'd rather listen to Rihanna and she's definitely not a great singer. I love the way Rihanna sounds on this song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 16, 2022 2:26 AM

Whitney

by Anonymousreply 14September 16, 2022 2:26 AM

Ariana Grande. Don't get the "next Mariah" comments, she's not even close

by Anonymousreply 15September 16, 2022 2:28 AM

R15, her voice lacks depth. There's 0 grit to it. She hits a bunch of high notes and that's all.

by Anonymousreply 16September 16, 2022 2:30 AM

[quote] "Whitney"

To each their own, but GTFO. Maaaaaybe in her last few years. But only then, if at all.

by Anonymousreply 17September 16, 2022 2:31 AM

Agree Mariah, but since about 1998. Before that the praise was justified for the most part.

R14: it’s all personal opinion I know but come on, Whitney in her prime in the mid/late 80s and early 90s live was amazing!

I’d say Adele after hearing some of the songs on her latest album. Think I said this before on here when it came out but there’s a song near the end of the album where she’s screaming. Obviously no one wanted to tell her to do another take as she’s surrounded by sycophants I’m guessing. So painful to listen to.

by Anonymousreply 18September 16, 2022 2:33 AM

R11: I’m first to want to laugh at Beyoncé as she takes herself way too seriously and I’d include her in the overrated list but that clip has been distorted I think to sound bad. The song doesn’t have that much music/backing vocals to mask singing that bad. Assuming this is the same performance, she sounds fine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 16, 2022 2:38 AM

OP, you know nothing about Barbra Streisand, an iconic singer, and one of the most successful female artists in America music history. Donna Summer is also an iconic singer, but please, she does not as you say, “destroy” Streisand in anyway shape or form on their duet single.

Their voices are perfectly matched in range and intensity. Your comment is unfounded and infantile.

The public comment Streisand made about her acting and singing career, is that she considers herself an actor first, who can sing. How you translated that into “she does not like to sing, and has admitted to this”, is bullshit. Tell us that again, after you count the number of concerts/ tours she has done in her near 60 year career. Link provided. You’re welcome.

Destroyed? Really, destroyed? Hahaha…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 16, 2022 2:39 AM

Whitney was always overrated, R17. She sang songs other people wrote, and she sang them with no emotional depth to her singing. So no, I won't GTFO. Whitney sucked. She was all technique, and no heart. She was incapable of finding the emotional center of a song. Her performances influenced singers with less technical skill to badly use melisma to disguise the fact that they couldn't hold a note. Her destructive influence on pop music continued for decades, as a result. Also, she was the herald of loud=good.

by Anonymousreply 21September 16, 2022 2:40 AM

Carol Burnett - she actually got musical theatre roles. The mind boggles.

by Anonymousreply 22September 16, 2022 2:44 AM

Katy Perry. Nobody claims she is great but millions like her hits. I do believe she cannot sing a single note.

by Anonymousreply 23September 16, 2022 2:45 AM

Personally? FRANK.

I heard him singing something just today and it was awful. He had his moments, but I don't like his singing and he lacks emotion.

by Anonymousreply 24September 16, 2022 2:48 AM

R21: this is probably a losing battle given what you’ve written above but how about this performance from about 3 minutes. I always loved the ‘didn’t we’ repeats at about 5 minutes and the emotional behind it. Agree she didn’t always sing with feeling though, maybe she was missing Robyn her lesbian lover that night, who knows.

Also, I love Whitney but do hate the ‘shouting/loud = good’ thinking you mention too, and I know Whitney does have a few performances that fit under that. But when she was on form, she was amazing

On the shouting/loud thing, Jennifer Hudson holds that crown. She’s awful for it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 16, 2022 2:48 AM

Judy Collins. I'm tempted to add Joan Baez.

by Anonymousreply 26September 16, 2022 2:48 AM

The fact cher gets any respect as a vocalist is nuts

by Anonymousreply 27September 16, 2022 2:49 AM

Britney

by Anonymousreply 28September 16, 2022 2:49 AM

Madonna

by Anonymousreply 29September 16, 2022 2:50 AM

Christina Aguilera. I think she's more guilty of "oversinging" than Whitney is

by Anonymousreply 30September 16, 2022 2:50 AM

Janet

by Anonymousreply 31September 16, 2022 2:50 AM

etc.

by Anonymousreply 32September 16, 2022 2:50 AM

I don't think Mama Cass was so great. She was just...OK.

by Anonymousreply 33September 16, 2022 2:50 AM

Ariana Grande

by Anonymousreply 34September 16, 2022 2:50 AM

Whitney's weakness wasn't her voice but her material, especially really early on in her career. Her first album was good but her second was mostly shit. But I think her material did improve in the 90s, especially My Love is Your Love (which is a very good album).

by Anonymousreply 35September 16, 2022 2:51 AM

Carole King, Joni Mitchell, lady from fleetwood whac

by Anonymousreply 36September 16, 2022 2:51 AM

Édith Piaf, Juliette Gréco

by Anonymousreply 37September 16, 2022 2:51 AM

Corrine from Swing Out Sister. Tone deaf.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38September 16, 2022 2:52 AM

Annie Lennox

by Anonymousreply 39September 16, 2022 2:53 AM

Carly Simon

by Anonymousreply 40September 16, 2022 2:53 AM

[quote] lady from fleetwood whac

You are going to cause a riot here on DL. But honestly, I agree with you. I don't understand what the big deal is about Stevie Nicks's voice. She sounds like a goat in heat, especially her solo stuff. I prefer Christine McVie over her. Another unpopular opinion here--Fleetwood Mac was best when Peter Green was at the wheel. But that's a topic for another day.

by Anonymousreply 41September 16, 2022 2:54 AM

There are "bad" singers I happened to like, however. Buffy Sainte-Marie, Yoko Ono

by Anonymousreply 42September 16, 2022 2:54 AM

Nobody really rates Stevie as a great singer. She was excellent as a star up to mid career. Her 80s solo material is iconic and very enjoyable. Her image was hilarious AND likable.

by Anonymousreply 43September 16, 2022 2:56 AM

People did thing Annie Lennox was a fantastic singer. I always just found her a "strong" singer. If I wanted strength I preferred the small vocal gifts of Grace Jones combined with Grace Jones' very skilled theatricality. And she could sing a hell of a lot more variety of music than Annie Lennox and let you enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 44September 16, 2022 3:00 AM

OP didn't say it had be gurl singers....but I guess this being a gay site...

by Anonymousreply 45September 16, 2022 3:02 AM

Zayn. He was the one who was supposed to be able to sing. I just listened to a mix tape I made pre-covid and meh.....

by Anonymousreply 46September 16, 2022 3:10 AM

I have a hard time really enjoying Al Green or Otis Redding. I know they are soul legends but I don't connect with them the way I do with James Brown, Ray Charles, Sam Cooke, Isaac Hayes, Curtis Mayfield, Marvin Gaye, etc.

by Anonymousreply 47September 16, 2022 3:11 AM

Otis was FABULOUS when he was fabulous. A lot of it sounds draggy now, but at his best.

I only like a few of Al's songs.

by Anonymousreply 48September 16, 2022 3:20 AM

Cher can be very good. She sounds better today than in the 60s.

by Anonymousreply 49September 16, 2022 3:29 AM

Nicks joined Fleetwood Mac because Buckingham wanted to fuck her.

by Anonymousreply 50September 16, 2022 3:29 AM

Mariah Carey, a glorified studio singer. She’s no vocalist when it comes to singing LIVE. She’s a joke.

by Anonymousreply 51September 16, 2022 3:32 AM

Cher had only ONE great song back in the old days

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52September 16, 2022 3:33 AM

Anyone who thinks that Grace Jones can sing - never mind sing better than the great Annie Lennox, is deaf.

Annie Lennox has one of the great contralto voices in popular music. The combination of her technical ability, vocal quality and performance gifts make her one of the most UNDERRATED singers.

Of the good singers with good to great voices - the move overrated is Streisand, for sure. Celine surpassed her a million miles and years ago and without all the bitching about having to sing. Try this Barbra. La Resonance and REAL power. RANGE. 49 years old. Celine can still sing as pretty as she pleases. Don't ever mistake her as not exceptional in every way. She is unrivalled at what she does.

Streisand has some very specific gifts to her voice. And they are quite remarkable. But she knows nothing about singing, has no love for it, communicates nothing but "sound" and is a pretty bad interpreter of song. Striezand is the famous singer who is most overrated. As her increasingly miniscule popularity demonstrates.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53September 16, 2022 3:38 AM

Celine and Whitney are extraordinarily top notch live singers

by Anonymousreply 54September 16, 2022 3:41 AM

Whitney was not singing her own songs and a lot of times not even songs that were written for her so but never got the feeling she didn’t “feel” the songs. Surprised that others did.

Yes My love is your love was such a good album but I like all of the albums, for different reasons. There weren’t that many compared to other artists. Or it seems that way.

Her original concerts made for good tv and looking back she was probably coked up to the gills but she put on a show even though she didn’t really dance.

by Anonymousreply 55September 16, 2022 3:46 AM

Totally true, R54. Celine and Whitney performed their well produced perfect hit songs so much BETTER live! Astounding voices and talents - the soulful Whitney was a vocal goddess and phenomenon LIVE. Her heart was on full display with that voice like church bells and trumpets. Celine is so much more passionate and improvisational LIVE. She already has vocal gifts beyond reason.

by Anonymousreply 56September 16, 2022 3:50 AM

I have to agree with Beyonce. She uses too much melisma, and can't hold a note.

by Anonymousreply 57September 16, 2022 3:54 AM

Mariah Carey is not overrated. Her rating is well-deserved. Just the song "Vanishing" from her debut album is enough to establish that fact and unlike her contemporaries, she evolved her style a lot.

by Anonymousreply 58September 16, 2022 3:54 AM

I love Aretha, but she was overrated as a vocalist. Not as a singer. There's a difference. Gladys Knight and Dionne Warwick are both better vocalists.

by Anonymousreply 59September 16, 2022 3:55 AM

R53 listen you pathetic "boiler plate diva worship stan", do you have reading comprehension challenges?

I did NOT say Grace Jones sings better than Annie Lennox. I said I preferred Grace Jones "small vocal gift" and theatrical skill. Annie Lennox is bombastic to my ears. A MATTER OF INDIVIDUAL TASTE.

People like you are an embarrassment with your technical rants straight out of the Sheboygan Conservatory of received critical pablum. With your deliberate misreads, because your diva worship must be fed, or frankly your retarded intellect.

by Anonymousreply 60September 16, 2022 3:55 AM

GOAT. Don't ever disrespect greatness. Her name should never be mentioned on this thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61September 16, 2022 4:00 AM

You are unhinged.... as you so often spit at others, R60.

Read the thread title and don't come back with your uniformed and ancient disco worn out hole opinions.

Grace Jones was never a singer or a vocalist. She's the musical equivalent of RuPaul for whatever decade your ass was last busy. The 70s? There is no reason for her name to be here.

by Anonymousreply 62September 16, 2022 4:00 AM

[quote] something about Beyonce's tone just sounds a bit harsh to me at time

This 100X. Beyonce has technical skills, she can do runs, etc. but the TONE of TIMBRE of her voice is grating. It's not rich or smooth.

People citing Whitney or Mariah or just racist and/or insane.

Whitney had a combination almost no one else in pop music has ever had: 1) range 2) tone (so rich and smooth) 3) power and 4) control

And LIVE she took it to another level. Especially early on. If you don't like soul/RnB/gospel you may not appreciate it but her talent was undeniable.

Mariah: Unique voice. extreme range and control. But never had the full, rich texture of Whitney in all her registers. She was amazing live in her first decade (look up her SNL rehearsals, esp of Vanishing). She fucked up her voice for a while....... like from 2000-2010. She has gotten better now but is not at the level of her prime.

by Anonymousreply 63September 16, 2022 4:05 AM

[quote] Grace Jones was never a singer or a vocalist. She's the musical equivalent of RuPaul for whatever decade your ass was last busy. The 70s? There is no reason for her name to be here.

You're limited.

by Anonymousreply 64September 16, 2022 4:06 AM

Grace Jones is a great entertainer. Nothing wrong with that.

by Anonymousreply 65September 16, 2022 4:11 AM

I couldn't BEAR Grace Jones - nearly all my friends had her fucking LP.

by Anonymousreply 66September 16, 2022 4:11 AM

Grace Jones can't sing. How can she be overrated when no one considers her a singer?

by Anonymousreply 67September 16, 2022 4:12 AM

[quote]Nobody really rates Stevie as a great singer. She was excellent as a star up to mid career. Her 80s solo material is iconic and very enjoyable. Her image was hilarious AND likable.

That's helpful. I never had a sense of how people rated her as a singer. She helps me to understand the resistance many people have to listening to Bob Dylan and other tough-sell voices (usually great songwriters who mostly perform their own material). I find her almost unlistenable, with the grating tone, the abundance of mannerisms, and the shallowness of what she does with words, even if they're hers.

But yes, she could be funny. I still cue up the "I Can't Wait" video once in a while. It's like a parody of an '80s video. I know she's said it embarrasses her now, because she was...altered during the shoot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68September 16, 2022 4:14 AM

[quote] Grace Jones can't sing

That is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 69September 16, 2022 4:16 AM

I didn't say Grace Jones was overrated or underrated. I said Annie Lennox is overrated. I find her strong but also bombastic and treacly. I hate treacle. Annie was cool when she was young. That's it. Grace Jones did fantastic tours in her dottage and remained strong. Annie? Nope. Lame standards. Creepy "Christmas" music. Activism and arty farty crap. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

by Anonymousreply 70September 16, 2022 4:17 AM

I like Barbra's early stuff, but then after "On a Clear Day" she gets ridiculously full of herself and starts oversinging. Some of her later stuff like "The Broadway Album" is to me unlistenable.

by Anonymousreply 71September 16, 2022 4:19 AM

Some of Stevie Nicks 80s output is balls to the walls. We love her for that. Rock Pop singer.

A few are making distinctions about vocalist (trained) versus singer (bigger category that including vocalists - but a singer conveys emotion and mood and intellect - and will have varying levels of technical skill from few to abundant.

It doesn't really matter to a listicle on Datalounge. Anyone can have an opinion about who is an overrated singer or vocalist.

by Anonymousreply 72September 16, 2022 4:23 AM

Grace Jones sold out the Hollywood Bowl next week.at 74 fucking years old. Props to her.

by Anonymousreply 73September 16, 2022 4:26 AM

Look who's there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74September 16, 2022 4:27 AM

Bow down Barbra. Celine idolized you. You can be over the top, have a beautiful voice and STILL remain present in the song. That's what a great singer does.

A vocal racehorse needs to run. Celine shows you how it's done.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75September 16, 2022 4:28 AM

Christine McVie always sounds like someone's mother singing along to the radio. She's awful.

by Anonymousreply 76September 16, 2022 4:33 AM

Adele.

People can talk about Whitney, Mariah, Celine, and Barbara but their music is pretty diverse and they’ve done different types of music to showcase their vocals compared to Adele.

There’s songs they’ve all done that are vocally impressive. Maybe I can’t speak for Celine but like Mariah singing words in her whistle register on “Bliss”, Barbara holding that long note in “Enough is Enough”, Whitney and the whole Bodyguard soundtrack lol.

Adele has NOTHING and she’s overrated because a lot of people consider her to be in the same category as they are because she’s sold so many albums.

Mariah has a formula on a lot of her songs but they’re impressive vocally.

Adele has no range to me, I feel like she sings the same exact notes in every song. Her voice is not very colorful.

I mean complain about Beyonce at least she experiments and does things outside the box. Adele does nothing.

You may have to go to church to find a Whitney or Mariah but you can go to any coffee shop and find an Adele.

by Anonymousreply 77September 16, 2022 4:33 AM

R76 I like that about Christie though. She does sound like a mother singing to her children but that’s why “Everywhere” is so pretty.

by Anonymousreply 78September 16, 2022 4:36 AM

You can see the Countess Luann or Grace Jones. They are equally "talented."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79September 16, 2022 4:37 AM

Disagree about Cass Elliot. As John Phillips said, she could sing like an angel or a whore. She harmonized so well with everyone from John Denver to Julie Andrews.

by Anonymousreply 80September 16, 2022 4:38 AM

R70 I disagree.

I mean “No More I Love You’s” is ridiculously theatrical and was a huge hit and is still accessible today.

I think that speaks volumes about her.

by Anonymousreply 81September 16, 2022 4:40 AM

No More I Love You's is almost 30 years old. Do you know it's a cover? Is that Ballet Trocadero with her? It's a nice interpretation but it is treacly, to my taste.

By the way I didn't say Annie Lennox is bad. People see everything in binaries. Sheesh!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82September 16, 2022 4:49 AM

If we're doing male vocalists.....Timberlake. He's just okay to me

by Anonymousreply 83September 16, 2022 4:50 AM

Am I the only one who finds Céline's voice impressive, but not very pleasant? It has a nasal(?) quality that irritates me.

I still enjoy many of her songs though.

by Anonymousreply 84September 16, 2022 4:51 AM

Timberlake is a successful singer but is he a highly esteemed singer or vocalist? Who rated him highly?

by Anonymousreply 85September 16, 2022 4:53 AM

r84, I agree. I feel the same way about Carrie Underwood. She can sing, but I don't like the actual tone of her voice

by Anonymousreply 86September 16, 2022 4:55 AM

Oh lord, help us. Annie Lennox belongs with the greatest of blue eyed soul singers. It's a small group. The Righteous brothers, Dusty Springfield, Tom Jones, Teena Marie, Michael McDonald, Amy Winehouse. (Sam Smith and Adele can stay in the waiting room:)

Annie Lennox is so far from bombastic. She can sing rock music, new wave and new soul. Classics and her own lane of downplaying the beauty of her voice for the sake of the song. Her voice is buttery. With a beautiful burr. She sings properly from her diaphragm and her chest voice and transition to head voice is no less than impeccable. She's soulful. Tuneful. That's not bombastic. This song seems like a walk in the park but it's not - not with the consistent power and beautiful phrasing that Lennox delivers. She manages to convey love and joy. She's a wonderful vocalist and a great communicator as a singer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87September 16, 2022 4:56 AM

Canadian French as that tone. She kept it in English.

by Anonymousreply 88September 16, 2022 4:56 AM

R83 Timberlake is a good one. He wasn’t even the best singer in NSync, JC Chasez was.

I would say Adele. I think the genre she sings has provided her with more credit than she deserves. A lot of the pop singers have better ranges and techniques than her but aren’t taken as seriously because of genre bias.

by Anonymousreply 89September 16, 2022 4:59 AM

Much like Shakira, I think Céline sounds better in her native language (I guess that's no surprise ...)

by Anonymousreply 90September 16, 2022 5:00 AM

Frank Sinatra was awful, if he was alive today, his singing would have been compared to rapping!

Frankie talked-sang. He was very limited, there was not much of a range at all.

by Anonymousreply 91September 16, 2022 5:01 AM

R87 that's your taste expressed. Lennox shares a lot of qualities with Patti LuPone and Kate Smith. Amply on display in the belting you posted at R87. Needless to say I prefer Bernadette Peters to Patti LuPone. I do love Dusty. Impeccable. Never "shouty".

by Anonymousreply 92September 16, 2022 5:02 AM

R89 omg just listen to Timberlake sing the National Anthem. He is no one’s vocalist.

by Anonymousreply 93September 16, 2022 5:04 AM

Frank Sinatra did a lot more than talk sing. Sheesh. Even Marlene Dietrich, the queen of talk sing in English, flat out sang songs when she was young.

by Anonymousreply 94September 16, 2022 5:07 AM

[quote]Frankie talked-sang. He was very limited, there was not much of a range at all.

Later, when he only had the remnants of a voice, yes. But at his peak, especially in the '50s when he was making the Capitol albums, nah.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95September 16, 2022 5:07 AM

Not sure if anyone really "rates" him but Adam Levine's thin, nasal voice bugs the shit out of me

by Anonymousreply 96September 16, 2022 5:07 AM

The French vocal masque is very forward in the resonators, aka in the face and more nasal. It's simply the way of speaking and singing. The Quebecois sound is even more so. Celine has the two biggest selling French albums of all time, and two albums in the top ten selling albums of ALL time. Parts of her voice are nasal. But it is not a flaw. It is her style. And what she does with belts and runs and the coloratura are not nasal at all. She can sing in the Parisian Chanteuse style as she wants or give it all in her backwoods Quebec sound when she is home and free. Celine comes across much better en francais. Her low notes and laser fast runs and gorgeous overtones are unique to her. No one sounds like Celine. And like Whitney, her heart is there on display. She's slick but she's real. Her vocal ability is stunning in any language.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97September 16, 2022 5:08 AM

Paul McCartney

by Anonymousreply 98September 16, 2022 5:15 AM

It's not because she is french that she sounds great -Celine is rightfully one of the greatest voices of the last 80 years. She looks and sounds very tired here, but her two lines of Piaf in this clip prove her specialness. She is casual. Like Whitney, Celine has sung all her life. She's never nervous about singing, even when not her best. So listen to the dramatic hesitancy as she approaches this modest duet and the very beautiful quality of her vocal tone and the "particular" nasal RESONANCE that sets her apart. Her voice is an instant jolt of who's that now? Celine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99September 16, 2022 5:19 AM

Kelly Clarkson = like a default karaoke champion voice

Carrie Underwood = same like kelly clarkson

Adele = overhyped voice that is just lower pitched unlike most female singers which makes her "unique" I suppose

Ariana Grande = her upper register is squeaky and grating

Beyonce = the only time she did something impressive with her voice was the final run she does with the piano in the song "Ego" from her "I am... Sasha Fierce" album. She screams a lot during live otherwise

Lady Gaga = good voice for pop shit but her attempt at operatic themes like when she sang sound of the music at the oscars was mediocre at best

Cristina Aguilera = we all know this

by Anonymousreply 100September 16, 2022 5:22 AM

I’m going to get clobbered for this. Aretha of course had amazing pipes but somehow I was never moved as much as I was supposed to be.

by Anonymousreply 101September 16, 2022 5:25 AM

OMG, you're a big fan, but time to get a room for you and your DIVA worship.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102September 16, 2022 5:26 AM

This is a great one from Aretha.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103September 16, 2022 5:28 AM

What was so extraordinary about Peggy Lee?

by Anonymousreply 104September 16, 2022 5:31 AM

Technically Steisand was pretty good in her prime, but there is not talent in interpreting a song. She might as well sing the telephone book. You have no idea what connection she has to the song, to the meaning of the lyrics. There's no spontaneity, no playfulness, no soul, no effortless-ness.

Compare that to Whitney Houston or Gladys Knight who did a superb version of The Way We Were.

These ladies can connect to an audience, they tell a story. Streisand just goes through the motions as the arrogant, self important cold fish she is.

There are two types of singers, one comes to sing for you, the other expects an audience comes to see her/him. Steisand is the latter.

by Anonymousreply 105September 16, 2022 5:34 AM

Overly nasal singers who sound like a vicious old battered queen... so Lady Gaga.

by Anonymousreply 106September 16, 2022 5:35 AM

R104 you can discover a bit about Lee's talent here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107September 16, 2022 5:36 AM

I was never a Frank fan, mainly because I heard him in his later burned out years and he was always a thug. The rest of the family, Nancy Sr. and Jr., Tina were very nice. Frank Jr. was a depressing downer.

by Anonymousreply 108September 16, 2022 5:47 AM

[quote]Celine has sung all her life. She's never nervous about singing

Celine had a extraordinary voice in her prime, but Peabo Bryson stole the show from her.

by Anonymousreply 109September 16, 2022 5:54 AM

Whoever said Whitney Houston doesn't know how to interpret a song needs a new set of ears!

Geez, that woman could feel a song.

by Anonymousreply 110September 16, 2022 6:04 AM

Peggy Lee

by Anonymousreply 111September 16, 2022 6:05 AM

[quote]I’m going to get clobbered for this. Aretha of course had amazing pipes but somehow I was never moved as much as I was supposed to be.

Not by me you won't. I like Aretha - her voice was a thrill and she could when she felt like it deliver a dynamic live performance. But not unlike Streisand - she presented the illusion of feeling more than shared the song. She sang AT people. She was getting off on herself. Streisand and Aretha are both better on recordings. Not because they couldn't sing - but because they didn't seem to enjoy it.

We shouldn't forget that Aretha was a fine musician and maybe saw things in a different way. Streisand planned out every inflection. Neither of them did much LIVE but stroke their own ego when singing. Aretha's voice had it. Soul. Some pain lived there.

Still, I agree.

Peggy Lee was a musical sorcerous R104. She seems camp and simplistic. She wasn't exciting, but she really had a special voice and she fucking KNEW how to sing. I admit I'm not a big fan. But you have to go back before all the weirdness to find her real voice.

Sinatra and Sammy Davis Jr. were the male Judy Garlands. A baritone and a tenor. Great range and great voices and not afraid of showing real emotion - vocally.

Sinatra had the greatest resonance of a popular male singer. Great phrasing and breathing. He sounds a bit less than perfect. A bit of a wreck with all that pent up emotion and big voice. That's what grabs you in the gut.

Resonance is what separates the great popular vocalists from the rest. Then you better know how to sing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112September 16, 2022 6:08 AM

Just like she could feel her girlfriend's nasty pussy.

by Anonymousreply 113September 16, 2022 6:20 AM

You're about to talk about Whitney drowning in the bathtub R113? We know your hatred and omnipresence on Datalounge. Whitney was magnificent. She suffered and died. You show up everytime she is mentioned to speak in the most common ways about the greatest recorded singer of the last 50 years. You have no understanding of singing - so your attacks must all be on her character, drug use and sex life. How sad that your mind and experience is so small. All the creators shone on Whitney Houston. She had likely the greatest popular voice you will ever hear.

This is for R109. How in the fuck did Peabo Bryson steal Celine's show? They were perfect together. He deserved a better career. And it's the best Disney duet of All Time. The melodies may be similar, but no one sounds like this. LIVE.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114September 16, 2022 6:32 AM

I know Madonna gets shit on for her voice but I NEVER understood how anyone could stand the sound of Mick Jagger. I have recently become really absorbed by The Beatles catalogue and I really tried hard to appreciate The Rolling Stones too. Nope. Mick Jagger has the most guttural voice I have ever heard (Joe Strummer does a much better job and his voice has a similar guttural quality). The only song I can stand him on is Paint It Black. On almost every other song, it sounds like he is posturing. This goes for his "performing" too. Not the least bit convincing to me. I find it laughable that The Rolling Stones were considered "bad boys" in their day.

by Anonymousreply 115September 16, 2022 6:34 AM

R83, apparently his big influence is Donny Hathaway. I can totally see it. The original is so much better

by Anonymousreply 116September 16, 2022 6:36 AM

[quote] What was so extraordinary about Peggy Lee?

Legend has it she was so disturbed by Madonna's cover of "Fever" that she died immediately on the spot, melting in her wheelchair. OK, I made that up. Or did I?

by Anonymousreply 117September 16, 2022 6:39 AM

Peggy Lee -- Miss Peggy Lee if you please-- may have stayed on the stage too long, before falling off it.

But in her younger years she was the perfect smoky ballad singer. She defined an era, the big band singer of the '40s.

by Anonymousreply 118September 16, 2022 6:39 AM

Aretha was a masterful singer, but there was a certain aloofness about her that prevent her from connecting to an audience the way Whitney or Diana Ross could.

by Anonymousreply 119September 16, 2022 6:41 AM

DL hates the Twins The New Trend reaction videos.....cuz these brothers know nothing about music or singing and they're no longer fresh or believable. Agree. But. Tim's reaction to Peggy Lee's Fever was sweet and visceral. He thinks she's a pretty thing from the 1980s. He's feeling the simple genius of the song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120September 16, 2022 6:50 AM

[quote]How in the fuck did Peabo Bryson steal Celine's show?

He did without even trying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121September 16, 2022 6:51 AM

^ Already a better version was posted at R114, weirdo.^

by Anonymousreply 122September 16, 2022 6:58 AM

Back to the subject and on the offensive: Sarah Vaughan. She did vocalize gorgeously and had a freaky range from bass to lyric soprano. She had the most amazing vocal facility and sang most every song. I don't like her singing. Her register breaks are too noticable and her notes were too rounded and plummy. I think broken register singers can never be tops. This includes Mariah and Julie Andrews.

by Anonymousreply 123September 16, 2022 7:13 AM

Diana Ross and Michael Bolton

by Anonymousreply 124September 16, 2022 7:29 AM

I don't think Diana Ross is considered a great vocalist.

by Anonymousreply 125September 16, 2022 7:36 AM

Ella Fitzgerald --She was like a less skilled Jo Stafford. Jo Stafford could really sing. Ella tried to do things with her voice that she clearly wasn't meant to do--low tones were bad from her. She wasn't bad, but she wasn't very good or great. She too often used a range of octaves that she simply did not have in her voice to make.

Barry White--I just don't like the tone of his voice. Put his voice against Lionel Richie's. Then, you can hear the major difference in quality! Low tones in a very manly voice, singing naughty lyrics isn't enough to make him a standout vocalist.

Diana Ross gets hard to listen to after a song or two. She makes her already high voice go higher, but not without a loss in quality. It's irritating when she does it! Like when a man sings falsetto--it's just grating. In her early years, Streisand did it too. Making a good voice too high in her songs. She improved quickly, but Ross still uses that over high tone in most of her songs. Ugh. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 126September 16, 2022 7:41 AM

Streisand herself admitted that her early singing wasn't as high quality as her more experienced vocalizing. By contrast, Judy Garland sounded awful in the last decade or so of her life. She ruined it with booze and pills, I'm sure. In the end, her voice sounded ugly. Such a huge turn around from her early musicals. She was so great from her teens through her twenties.

by Anonymousreply 127September 16, 2022 7:45 AM

Diana Ross is a great star with a unique voice who has a beloved amount of hit records. She has many gifts as a singer. A uniquely sweet tone. No one sounds like her. Amazing syncopation with that delayed against the beat timing of star quality. A pretty little soar to her voice that grew more powerful and sustained as she learned more about her ability to really sing. Diana is never mentioned as one of the great vocalists.

Michael Bolton???? Nobody has ever mistaken him for a great vocalist.

by Anonymousreply 128September 16, 2022 7:47 AM

Xtina - she SUX

by Anonymousreply 129September 16, 2022 7:59 AM

R126, So wrong about Ella. She was vocal perfection.

by Anonymousreply 130September 16, 2022 8:06 AM

r125 Completely ignorant statement about Ella Fitzgerald. She had even tone production throughout her entire range, without formal training. Dame Janet Baker was quoted as saying that if she could have been born with any other female singer's voice of all history she would have chosen Ella Fitzerald's. Her 'schtick (because no one else ever came close to her in the ability to do it with speed and creative note choices ) was the imitation of other jazz instruments, (clarinet, trumpet) through scat singing and obviously many of those instruments have pitch range that exceeds the normal singing range of a female, but those insertions were for jazz effects not for demonstration of vocal beauty. But in simple, undecorated melodies, she could sing as gorgeously as any other jazz singer and usually with cleaner pitch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131September 16, 2022 8:07 AM

Dare I say, Liza Minnelli?

by Anonymousreply 132September 16, 2022 8:07 AM

Yes, you should R132. She's not in the group of great singers. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 133September 16, 2022 8:14 AM

[quote]I’m going to get clobbered for this. Aretha of course had amazing pipes but somehow I was never moved as much as I was supposed to be.

My only reservation about Ree is that as she aged, she relied too much on the melisma and whooping; she'd lose the shape of the song. The sound wasn't as pure and beautiful as it once had been either. Even as early as the Who's Zooming Who period in which Generation X discovered her, she was sounding huskier. (Smoking played a role, but voices darken with age anyway.)

I love her, though. The Atlantic stuff from 1967 through the mid-'70s is the best of her.

About emotional response: She wasn't a living-every-line type, and she rarely generated her own material (and sometimes the material provided her was far beneath her). But at her best, she tried to capture what a song was about. She could move me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134September 16, 2022 8:32 AM

Aretha seldom sounds bad but that does nothing for me R134. I don't think she was a very moving singer except in the exalted ways. Some voices are just so great that it seems they must mean something? Not necessarily true. Aretha's version of If Ever I Would Leave You sends me to the moon. But she apparently didn't like those early recordings. Queen of Soul - forever, that's sure.

Aretha was a fine musician and extremely confident performer who took some joy out of it all. Sometimes I think she loved it most when she was besting other people's songs or just ignoring her duet partners. Ha.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135September 16, 2022 9:09 AM

Pretty obvious that Peobo Bryson owned the song, R122. Dion got better after that though.

Diana Ross had an extraordinary voice. Very unique lyric soprano. She had range and perfect control, wonderful interpretative qualities and she could do it live.

by Anonymousreply 136September 16, 2022 9:38 AM

Wow that was awkward R135. She didn't look at him once. Very strange woman. Amazing artist, but so dismissive and aloof. She was like that with pretty much everybody though.

by Anonymousreply 137September 16, 2022 9:46 AM

Newsflash. Celine Dion is one of the top ten selling recording artists of all time and has one of the most beautiful and exceptional voices in modern history. All without Peabo Bryson.

by Anonymousreply 138September 16, 2022 9:48 AM

Celine will not be remembered in the same way as Aretha or Whitney are. She can shove her money down where ever, but she's not a singer of note. Never was, never will be.

by Anonymousreply 139September 16, 2022 9:53 AM

Aretha was on fire that night, r103. For me, she, along with Ella and Whitney, are three of the most intrinsically gifted singers who achieved mainstream success.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140September 16, 2022 10:59 AM

Whitney could sing her ass off even when she wasn't in top vocal shape.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141September 16, 2022 11:02 AM

FUCK YOU, OP. Block OP and you see this is a typical Madonna hater who wants to imprint Madonna isn’t a singer by lumping her into the Britney/Janet non-singers who Madonna destroys vocally on her worst days. She’s the most underrated.

Mariah Carey or Lady Gaga own this thread. LG has a honking, soulless voice. Basic and unremarkable. Mariah Carey likewise. Pat Benatar destroys that bitch vocally with crystal clear, sharp, strong vocals and can effortlessly hit really high notes unlike Mariah. Mariah could never sing rock, very fast songs as strong as Pat(or many many many many others).

by Anonymousreply 142September 16, 2022 11:08 AM

[quote]Basic and unremarkable. Mariah Carey likewise.

WHen you make statements like this, one cannot take you seriously.

You may not LIKE or appreciate Mariah's style, tone, or song choices, but to say her voice is "basic" and "unremarkable" is just stupid. Full stop.

Her range alone makes her not "basic" and very "remarkable." Her whistle register, same.

by Anonymousreply 143September 16, 2022 4:25 PM

Not sure why someone would diss Celine’s singing of all things. She’s not a classical or opera singer. She’s not singing for that crowd. But I bet she could. I bet she could nail Ave Maria if she wanted to. Or any other classical hymn.

But that’s not what she is trying to do. She is pop and one of the best at the adult pop thing.

by Anonymousreply 144September 16, 2022 5:05 PM

Taylor Swift.

by Anonymousreply 145September 16, 2022 5:06 PM

[quote]Not sure why someone would diss Celine’s singing of all things.

I'm not generally familiar with her work, but I heard her sing something last week. It was screechy AF.

by Anonymousreply 146September 16, 2022 5:07 PM

Sinatra had a unique way of phrasing a song, making it his. Mariah tended to oversing everything. I guess that was the style in the 80s but her voice great. Madonna was a fantastic entertainer and her songs were fabulous..a singer, no but who cares. Celine just wasnt my taste but could sing like an angel

by Anonymousreply 147September 16, 2022 5:21 PM

Florence (and the machine).

She hits every single note 1/4 to 1/8 pitch flat. Cannot sing on pitch.

by Anonymousreply 148September 16, 2022 5:27 PM

I'm sure you elders will love this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149September 16, 2022 5:31 PM

Gloria Estefan. She has zero power, and can barely hold a tune.

by Anonymousreply 150September 16, 2022 5:39 PM

Milli Vanilli

by Anonymousreply 151September 16, 2022 5:43 PM

Yes she ways r140. I was a white boy in affluent NY suburbs and was a huge fan of Aretha at that time.

by Anonymousreply 152September 16, 2022 5:43 PM

You can see in her face and body she is communicating those songs but there's nothing florid. And her backup trio is so cool and elegant.

by Anonymousreply 153September 16, 2022 5:46 PM

[quote] Barry White

Isaac Hayes had a much better voice

by Anonymousreply 154September 16, 2022 9:27 PM

[quote] FUCK YOU, OP. Block OP and you see this is a typical Madonna hater who wants to imprint Madonna isn’t a singer by lumping her into the Britney/Janet non-singers who Madonna destroys vocally on her worst days. She’s the most underrated.

You are histrionic and way off base. I am not a Madonna hater, in fact, up until a few months ago I was a staunch defender of her! I make fun of her now and no longer call myself a huge fan. And btw, I agree with you on Madonna being a better singer than Janet and Britney but that STILL does not make her a vocalist! Again, nobody who discusses great voices will be discussing Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 155September 16, 2022 9:37 PM

Mariah sounded amazing at one point. Her Emotions and Merry Christmas album show her at her best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156September 16, 2022 9:39 PM

MARIAH CAREY

Thread Closed

by Anonymousreply 157September 16, 2022 9:39 PM

[quote]I am not a Madonna hater

I am. She ruined popular music with her lip-synching aerobics classes she put out on video. I wish she had joined the convent. Or became a lawyer. Or a truck driver.

What a piece of shit is she.

by Anonymousreply 158September 16, 2022 9:45 PM

^^^^ Mariah is the most overrated because some of these other bitches being named don't even rate as vocalists. Mariah topped a VH-1 best singer poll at a time when she sang to prerecorded tapes. Whitney, Streisand, Donna and Aretha actually vocalized in performance, Mariah did not.

by Anonymousreply 159September 16, 2022 9:47 PM

R158 I suppose I might come across you in your next life, when you will still be working on your miserable mindset. That makes me sad. I'd rather you dropped dead for eternity when I finish typing this sentence.

by Anonymousreply 160September 16, 2022 9:48 PM

I love the poster that compared Streisand to Celine Dion. I can sort of see it as Celine respected music and sort of took her talents to greater heights. Barbara was like Jlo in her desperation to be sort of everything. She has GIFTS but it's sort of wasted. So much of her music is just noise and she keeps her listeners half a stadium away from her soulless songs.

I'm not kidding myself Barbara Streisand is still one of the best selling females of all times and was an entertainment juggernaut. But there could have been so much more. Though I respect a woman that does things her way, so I remain a fan.

The hits against Whitney's song selection is weird way to judge her as a singer. Many don't write their own music. Who cares. Most actors don't write their own scripts.

Mariah is not underrated, as others said. She was unique and conquered her own lane. Even her B-side tracks had little vocal gems, see 3:17 & 3:46. She was liking a humming bird jumping from note to note.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161September 16, 2022 9:50 PM

R158, I definitely have given up on Madonna. I was a megafan since the late 90s at the age of 12. And now I"m in my mid 30s annd I'm over her now. I've largely moved on from pop in general and into rock, hard rock, soul and jazz. The problem isn't her music, it's her. And reading stuff about the countless lawsuits for plagiarism against her has really made me look at her differently and I find that impossible to ignore.

by Anonymousreply 162September 16, 2022 9:58 PM

Mariah sounded great live in her Unplugged Special. Her voice is gone, though, she can't hit the notes anymore

by Anonymousreply 163September 16, 2022 10:00 PM

R98, Paul McCartney overrated as a vocalist, really? I would argue underrated.

by Anonymousreply 164September 16, 2022 10:05 PM

Doesn't matter if she can't hit those note anymore. Vocal cords are muscles and Mariah voice played at an Olympic level, as did many women mentioned in this thread. We don't expect 90s era Olympians to pull off their skills in 2022, so why bring up a similar expectation for vocalist? Like athletes, some can maintain well into old age, others lose their skill before their 30s.

by Anonymousreply 165September 16, 2022 10:05 PM

R164, he was ranked in the top 5 or so on Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers list. Ahead of Whitney Houston.

by Anonymousreply 166September 16, 2022 10:44 PM

R166, I wouldn't take that list too seriously, nobody cares about Rolling Stone magazine anymore.

by Anonymousreply 167September 16, 2022 10:48 PM

Does Britney actually sing herself? Ever?

by Anonymousreply 168September 16, 2022 10:54 PM

[Quote] Florence (and the machine). She hits every single note 1/4 to 1/8 pitch flat. Cannot sing on pitch.

That’s her charm

by Anonymousreply 169September 16, 2022 10:55 PM

R141, that was stunning. Few singers give me chills like that. She was one of the overall greatest pop vocalists.

by Anonymousreply 170September 16, 2022 10:59 PM

167, it was from like a decade ago.

by Anonymousreply 171September 16, 2022 11:00 PM

What still freaks me out about Diana Ross is that her voice sounds so thin on records (but she has an excellent sense of rhythm and vocalist), but when I saw her live about 10 years ago, her voice was so big and full!!

by Anonymousreply 172September 16, 2022 11:01 PM

R171, I don't think Rolling Stone magazine has been relevant since the late 90s. When TRL became a thing, that's when they went downhill.

by Anonymousreply 173September 16, 2022 11:07 PM

I never like the voices of the Bee Gees.

by Anonymousreply 174September 16, 2022 11:09 PM

You bitches are insane calling Mariah Motherfucking Carey 'basic.' There was nothing 'basic' about her voice, not then, and not now. Mariah, at the mere age of 22, was a phenomenal live singer.

I know that's right, Oprah: "That girl can SANG!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175September 16, 2022 11:13 PM

A cut above Alvin and The Chipmunks.

by Anonymousreply 176September 16, 2022 11:13 PM

All the male vocalists you can think of except Harve Presnell, Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye and a few other black singers I don't have the time to list.

by Anonymousreply 177September 16, 2022 11:15 PM

The little purple guy.

by Anonymousreply 178September 16, 2022 11:23 PM

^Definitely not.

by Anonymousreply 179September 16, 2022 11:26 PM

R178 I meant yes, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 180September 16, 2022 11:39 PM

Frank Sinatra OWNS this thread.

He was more famous in his day for all the BROADS he banged than for his singing prowess.

by Anonymousreply 181September 16, 2022 11:48 PM

Not to mention Frank's enormous juicy cock.

by Anonymousreply 182September 16, 2022 11:51 PM

R165: I guess the difference is Olympic athletes from the 90s have long since retired now. But I agree Mariah is still one of the best singers ever (even though for me that’s 1990-1997). Whitney’s 1985-1995ish). She really started to lose it after the Bodyguard but because she was so good it took five years or so after that for the cigarettes and drugs to really do their damage. Even her speaking voice was sad to hear. So hoarse. But those ten years of greatness mean she’s still my #1 for best vocalist ever.

Off topic slightly but it is interesting how some singers keep their voice and others get a relatively short period of being at their peak vocally. Maybe it is down to maintenance and discipline. It isn’t just age.

by Anonymousreply 183September 17, 2022 12:03 AM

Michael Buble'.

R181, I don't THINK so! Yes, OBE was in the gossip columns, but he wasn't exactly ignored as a singer OR actor!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184September 17, 2022 12:17 AM

Yes to Michael Buble! He sounds like he’s drunk and/or having a stroke.

by Anonymousreply 185September 17, 2022 12:24 AM

Martha Wash

by Anonymousreply 186September 17, 2022 12:30 AM

Mariah. I'm aware she was incredible in the early 90s but she became a parody of herself pretty quickly with the whistling and moaning. She tries too hard to sound pretty and sexy. Now she can barely sing.

by Anonymousreply 187September 17, 2022 12:35 AM

Every song on Dusty in Memphis sounds the same.

She had great taste in picking songs, though.

by Anonymousreply 188September 17, 2022 12:47 AM

I think Amy Winehouse is actually a very good singer. But she did try way too hard to emulate the black singers of the past. She sounds best when she isn't straining as much. A great song of hers is "You Know I'm no Good".

by Anonymousreply 189September 17, 2022 12:55 AM

Buble’s career is based on trying to sound like Sinatra

by Anonymousreply 190September 17, 2022 1:03 AM

Green Celine, still a teen. Astounding talent. Voices like this don't arrive every day. Or decade. Or....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191September 17, 2022 1:10 AM

R187: agree on Mariah becoming a parody of herself. She’s shat all over her 90s legacy since then with the lip syncing, big saggy fake tits and general BS.

I’ll probably still like a lot of her future music but she lost me finally personality-wise with her book.

by Anonymousreply 192September 17, 2022 1:35 AM

Barbra is not an overrated vocalist. Don’t be silly. She has an absolutely gorgeous gifted voice and excellent technique skills. What she lacks is the passion for singing and being a generous singer.

Celine is the best live singer I’ve ever seen. She has a very very beautiful and powerful voice combined with unparalleled technical singing abilities. The best thing about Celine is she’s a reliable and the most consistent vocalist out there.

Mariah is a fraud, a studio singer. All her “so-called” live performances were dubbed before being released to the public. No wonders no one in the industry takes her seriously. People on the other hand have tremendous respect for authentic singers like Whitney, Barbra, Aretha and Celine

by Anonymousreply 193September 17, 2022 1:35 AM

R189, I'd put Aguilera in the "trying too hard to sound like black singers from the past" category. She can sound really, really good when she's not trying to hard

by Anonymousreply 194September 17, 2022 1:36 AM

R194, I always thought Aguilera always tried really hard to outdo Mariah at her own game.

by Anonymousreply 195September 17, 2022 1:38 AM

Xtina without a doubt is the Voice of her generation. I hate her over singing however. She can deliver a top notch performance if she really wants to. LIVE.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196September 17, 2022 1:42 AM

I always thought Blossom Dearie sounded weird. I mean, like most everyone is this thread she was a good and popular singer, I'm just saying, a little overrated.

by Anonymousreply 197September 17, 2022 1:58 AM

R177, Harve Presnell was black?

by Anonymousreply 198September 17, 2022 1:59 AM

LOL @ the Xtina stan calling her the "voice of her generation" while shitting over the woman who had the biggest influence on her as a vocalist.

Too many live performances from Mariah in the 90s, undubbed, proved she's a real talent. Xtina stans are so envious that she'll never be considered legendary or in the same vocal league as Mariah. She'll only be remembered as a late 90s teen Pop tart who was a better vocalist than Britney - the much bigger star.

Mariah is one of the most influential female vocalists of the last thirty years, alongside Aretha and Whitney.

by Anonymousreply 199September 17, 2022 1:59 AM

Edith Piaf was overrated.

by Anonymousreply 200September 17, 2022 2:01 AM

Mariah Carey OWNS this thread.

by Anonymousreply 201September 17, 2022 2:04 AM

R188 It's a subtle album. Repeat listenings reveal all the depth.

by Anonymousreply 202September 17, 2022 2:07 AM

R132 I love Liza, but I don't think she can sing, couldn't really even at her height. Granted I'm no expert, but she seems to be forcing her vibrato. And she talks rather than sings the high notes. All kinds of tricks. But she sounded original and unique, and in the end that's really all that matters.

by Anonymousreply 203September 17, 2022 2:14 AM

Hmmm... I think Mariah Carey is rated about where I'd put her. She's not as good as Aretha or Whitney, but she had a few good moments. This performance is really good for instance:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204September 17, 2022 3:02 AM

According to the X-Tina stan in this thread, that live Grammy performance was dubbed! LMAO.

I liked the one from SNL better because she performed the full version of the song and felt more bluesy with the SNL band backing her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205September 17, 2022 3:08 AM

She sounds really good there

by Anonymousreply 206September 17, 2022 3:50 AM

Linda Ronstadt. I even saw her in concert and still didn't get it.

by Anonymousreply 207September 17, 2022 3:52 AM

R181 Frank Sinatra OWNS this thread. He was more famous in his day for all the BROADS he banged than for his singing prowess.

His was called The Voice, you moron. He was a brilliant singer.

by Anonymousreply 208September 17, 2022 3:54 AM

Mariah’s live concerts released on DVD were dubbed but performances like the one R205 posted show how well she could sing early on in her career. I guess it wouldn’t be Datalounge without these type of posters but it does make me laugh people who post their sweeping absolute statements on a topic they obviously don’t know enough about.

by Anonymousreply 209September 17, 2022 4:20 AM

R11 is an idiot. That's fake.

by Anonymousreply 210September 17, 2022 4:42 AM

Mariah. Christina Aguilera. Kelly Clarkson. Adele. Beyonce.

But hands down, Lady Gaga and Patti LuPone own this thread. Absolutely THE most unpleasant voices I've ever heard (among other things about them). They're the musical equivalent to Foghorn Leghorn.

by Anonymousreply 211September 17, 2022 5:03 AM

WHY is Madonna even mentioned here? She's in no way a singer, same with Britney.

Both have careers due to MTV, studio wizardly, stage productions and excellent backing musicians and touring dancers, remember, none of that has anything to do with actual singing.

by Anonymousreply 212September 17, 2022 6:21 AM

Adele

by Anonymousreply 213September 17, 2022 6:27 AM

I don't care if Mariah has a 70 octave range. It's unpleasant.

by Anonymousreply 214September 17, 2022 6:35 AM

Often these pairings are uncomfortable gimmicks. Not this time. Celine shows the utmost respect and times her every breath and inflection to stay out of Pavarotti's light, and yet she stuns. Vocally and visually. Gorgeous singing. The RING of her voice is so very beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215September 17, 2022 9:15 AM

Put on headphones. You're welcome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216September 17, 2022 9:38 AM

"Buble’s career is based on trying to sound like Sinatra”

r190 Harry Connik Jr was the same...trying to phrase the songs as only Sinatra could do

by Anonymousreply 217September 17, 2022 12:54 PM

This was LIVE. One was scared and ran away because she knew too well she was smoke and mirror. Listen to her voice, you could tell immediately that she doesn’t have what it takes to compete with the Queen of Soul. The other one, well, is a REAL singer who can sing LIVE.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218September 17, 2022 1:55 PM

Madonna is a top notch and the best performer/showgirl of all time. She def can sing and sings much better than other pop girls like Britney, Janet, Katy, etc… I however wouldn’t call her a vocalist. She’s no where near Celine’s level when it comes to singing. Sorry but not sorry

by Anonymousreply 219September 17, 2022 2:06 PM

r168 Britney is no great artist but she has something that can really be worked into some good songs if given the chance. She will never be a vocal powerhouse but she can carry a tune with the right producers guidance.

This was Britney singing from her bathroom that she posted on her Instagram live. A fan added the music. She is not a great singer, but we can instantly iD Britney on a song. She can do a lot with what little she has.

P.S. I wish she'd do more songs with this vibe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220September 17, 2022 6:36 PM

R193, Celine's major drawback is that she is so very uncool.

by Anonymousreply 221September 17, 2022 6:47 PM

And ugly.

by Anonymousreply 222September 17, 2022 8:12 PM

[quote] She will never be a vocal powerhouse but she can carry a tune with the right producers guidance.

Translation: with studio wizadry, you TOO can sound as great as Ms. Spears!

by Anonymousreply 223September 17, 2022 8:35 PM

Whoever said Celine is uncool nailed it. That's exactly why nobody cares for her today except her fans. Yes, she can sing, but she's about as exciting as Debbie Boone. Try to imagine her singing Whitney or Mariah's edgier songs like It's Not Right (the remix version) or one of the many Fantasy remixes. It's embarassing just thinking about it.

by Anonymousreply 224September 17, 2022 8:37 PM

I remember a hysterical review of Celine's first Vegas residency. The writer said she looks great for 45, except she's 32.

by Anonymousreply 225September 17, 2022 9:07 PM

Now that I think about it, this is something Celine and Barbara Streisand have in common but at least Celine seems much kinder. Uncoolness is the reason Celine and Barbra don't have much appeal today. Versus someone like Frank Sinatra who was last really relevant in the 60s and still streams well.

by Anonymousreply 226September 17, 2022 9:09 PM

Miley Cyrus owns this thread. I've seen her perform two separate times live on TV and both times she was off key with bad histrionic vocals. Thank God for auto-tune and the magic of studio dubbing.

by Anonymousreply 227September 17, 2022 9:14 PM

Madonna can definitely sing. If she wasn’t good she would never have been considered for Evita or pulled off Ray Of Light. She’s, though, a middle tier singer where most singers are. She has more range than people give her credit for. The Madonna haters on this thread are two, three people. Block one and the anti-Madonna posts disappear.

by Anonymousreply 228September 17, 2022 9:31 PM

Mariah has one Grammy for singing. That right here shows what the industry thinks of her smoke and mirrors singing. She has so much help live it is laughable and the industry knows that hence ONE vocal Grammy. She isn’t anywhere near most of the greats. And lets not get started on her “songwriting” which Sony bought for her (as bad as it is) to set her a part from Whitney. So obvious.

And no, we aren’t watching the videos of Mariah singing that keep getting posted by the out of control Mariah loon.

by Anonymousreply 229September 17, 2022 9:34 PM

R229 I couldn’t agree. It’s laughable that most of her #1 are bought with no shame. She has no self respect whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 230September 17, 2022 9:36 PM

R230 Sony did all kinds of shady shit for Mariah. Tommy couldn’t do the same for his next wife because the industry changed and wouldn’t allow it. Mariah’s #1s, which none are classics, are so obviously bought when she wasn’t selling them at huge discounts of .49 cents vs $2.00 other artists were.

by Anonymousreply 231September 17, 2022 9:45 PM

R221 why was Celine never cool? Not even remotely, even when she was popular. I never found her sexy either. Just a stick person who draped garments over her bones.

by Anonymousreply 232September 17, 2022 9:49 PM

Her interviews are always awkward. It’s like she’s so deeply Canadian that she can’t understand the nuisance of the English language and comes off sounding stupid.

by Anonymousreply 233September 17, 2022 9:50 PM

R228 Fuck that. Vadge has never been a singer. Actual singers can sing live with no vocal enhancement.

by Anonymousreply 234September 17, 2022 9:51 PM

Demi Lovato. Also Avril Levigne, and Selena Gomez

by Anonymousreply 235September 17, 2022 9:55 PM

I cannot stand Celine’s voice or her oversinging. Her one performance I loved was the Titanic song where she said she was so nervous she “under sang” it. I wanted to scream BITCH YOU SOUNDED BETTER STOP OVER SINGING YOU DON’T HAVE TO!.

by Anonymousreply 236September 17, 2022 9:56 PM

R231, she also sold tons of albums, not just singles. Geez, can you try to be objective towards people you don't like? And you think no one else ever benefitted from discounts on singles?

by Anonymousreply 237September 17, 2022 10:00 PM

Celine does not oversing. Mariah, Xtina, and occasionally Whitney oversang. Celine's voice is near flawless. She could whisper and it would still be full, round, clear and resonant. Celine does the most beautiful runs and trills in the world. She's and Whitney were both virtuosos in this area.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238September 17, 2022 10:04 PM

R237 Discounted albums, too.

by Anonymousreply 239September 17, 2022 10:06 PM

R237 The vast majority of the big hitters, except Mariah, didn’t discount their singles/albums. Madonna’s were the most expensive. Madonna often had deluxe singles going for $5 or more usually near the price of a full album.

by Anonymousreply 240September 17, 2022 10:08 PM

Celine obviously is a very dumb woman, but quite frankly so was Whitney who I have the deepest respect for as a singer and artist. Anybody who picks Bobby Brown as a husband is not very bright and no I don't think she picked him because she needed him to distract from her rumoured lesbian-ness. But Whitney stuck with all the wrong people and all the wrong believes until she drowned in the bathtub.

by Anonymousreply 241September 17, 2022 10:13 PM

This was interesting for awhile then the dueling DIVA stans arrived. It's degenerated it slapping matches, with breaks for splooging hosannas to their one beloved DIVA.

by Anonymousreply 242September 17, 2022 10:15 PM

[quote] You bitches are insane calling Mariah Motherfucking Carey 'basic.' There was nothing 'basic' about her voice, not then, and not now. Mariah, at the mere age of 22, was a phenomenal live singer.

At that age, she was about as "phenomenal" as Christina Aguilera at the same age. Nothing lifts her into the league of great vocalists or interpreters.

by Anonymousreply 243September 17, 2022 10:19 PM

[quote] Mariah, Xtina, and occasionally Whitney oversang.

Whitney never oversang. Her vocals were always calibrated for the lyric and the mood.

by Anonymousreply 244September 17, 2022 10:21 PM

R239, you think no one else ever had albums on sale? 😄

by Anonymousreply 245September 17, 2022 10:23 PM

Love how people think you can get a bunch of #1 and multiplatinum albums over the course of decades just by putting some of your stuff on sale. If that was the case, every artist would be huge, no one would ever fail

It's like when people say all it takes to be an A-list or an Oscar winner is to sleep with a famous guy. As if there aren't tons of people who did that and still failed anyway

by Anonymousreply 246September 17, 2022 10:26 PM

Mariah is so fucking rich and delusional and lazy and done. She's a little fun but her fantasy life is getting OLD.

by Anonymousreply 247September 17, 2022 10:29 PM

I think she still decent...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248September 17, 2022 10:31 PM

She's atrocious R248. Mariah sounds like a crying tween girl having a tantrum.

by Anonymousreply 249September 17, 2022 10:35 PM

R248 No one is listening to the endless Mariah videos you post. No one except you replying to yourself.

by Anonymousreply 250September 17, 2022 10:37 PM

247 and 249 is the blocked Madonna hater.

by Anonymousreply 251September 17, 2022 10:37 PM

I don’t get why people think Adele is so great. She sounds like she’s wailing

by Anonymousreply 252September 17, 2022 10:38 PM

It IS OP. OP is the Madonna hater. I knew it! That’s why he dared include Madonna in with Brit and Janet. He’s also the Mariah loon.

by Anonymousreply 253September 17, 2022 10:41 PM

I’m sorry but the people saying Whitney are crazy. The pop songs she sang are lyrically dumb as hell but her voices lifts them. She makes a song like How Will I Know listenable.

by Anonymousreply 254September 17, 2022 10:42 PM

Taylor Swift. She's a mediocre singer at best. The level at which she is worshiped escapes me.

by Anonymousreply 255September 17, 2022 10:44 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256September 17, 2022 10:47 PM

Pluhlease...

by Anonymousreply 257September 17, 2022 10:49 PM

Celine Dion, besides being overrated, has one of the most nasal voices in the music industry. Listen to her singing All By Myself on YouTube on the Taking Chances World Tour: The Concert. Jesus Christ! Sounds like she has a clothespin on her nose while singing!

by Anonymousreply 258September 17, 2022 10:51 PM

Celine Dion, besides being overrated, has one of the most nasal voices in the music industry. Listen to her singing All By Myself on YouTube on the Taking Chances World Tour: The Concert. Jesus Christ! She sounds like she has a clothespin on her nose!

by Anonymousreply 259September 17, 2022 10:53 PM

cheater

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260September 17, 2022 10:53 PM

If you say you were a huge Madonna fan until her recent descent into mental illness you’re the dumbest, lying-est MFer on DL. All major stars have descended into mental illness and drug/alcohol abuse with embarrassing behavior. Just about everyone listed in this thread. The Madonna haters really need new material and don’t sway anyone with their negative BS. Plagiarism? All songwriters have been sued dozens of times for this.

by Anonymousreply 261September 17, 2022 10:55 PM

Frank Sinatra. I never understood his appeal. Never.

by Anonymousreply 262September 17, 2022 10:58 PM

R232, r221 here. Are you asking me a question? I don't understand your address to me.

by Anonymousreply 263September 17, 2022 11:04 PM

Yeah Celine Dion has always sucked. I don’t get peoples love for her she’s not even sexy or appealing to young girls the way some untalented pop stars are.

by Anonymousreply 264September 17, 2022 11:10 PM

You're talking to yourself again R264. Stop agreeing with your own posts, you ancient sick fuck.

by Anonymousreply 265September 17, 2022 11:11 PM

Yeah, Madonna still has great music and performances regardless of her current behavior. MJ was a freakish looking pedo yet people still like his music. I can separate the person from their music.

by Anonymousreply 266September 17, 2022 11:48 PM

As a vocalist, Madonna is not rated. She's a Happy Birthday level singer.

by Anonymousreply 267September 17, 2022 11:51 PM

R255, I think Taylor's stans rate her for her songwriting rather than her voice.

by Anonymousreply 268September 17, 2022 11:56 PM

MariFat Carey dominates this thread 🤣🤣🤣 which doesn’t happen very often here. 😂😂

by Anonymousreply 269September 18, 2022 12:10 AM

Well, her songwriting sucks too.

by Anonymousreply 270September 18, 2022 12:11 AM

This thread must be what like walking down the hallway of a packed insane asylum feels like.

by Anonymousreply 271September 18, 2022 12:44 AM

^given the termites who have invaded DL due to Betty Windsor ‘s death, I’d say this is a relatively sane thread.

Well, except for a certain Stan of an aging, mentally disturbed “singer.”

by Anonymousreply 272September 18, 2022 12:56 AM

R272 Leave Janet out of this Jabba

by Anonymousreply 273September 18, 2022 12:59 AM

Madonna's a real crappy singer. Amazed there are people defending her vocal abilities. She sucks as worse as Brit Brit and Janet.

by Anonymousreply 274September 18, 2022 1:08 AM

R274 poor attempt to elicit a reaction. Block 274 and behold the racism, trumpism, anti-trans.

by Anonymousreply 275September 18, 2022 1:10 AM

R274 shut up! Nobody takes you idiot seriously.

by Anonymousreply 276September 18, 2022 1:10 AM

274 Except she’s not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277September 18, 2022 1:15 AM

That's like Madonna's best performance. It's about as good as Janet's best performance. Sometimes bad singers have good days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278September 18, 2022 1:21 AM

Whitney was already past peak and starting her long decline by 1996 when she recorded this duet with pretty Mariah. Guess which one is struggling with it and who SOARS? Why did Mariah insist on singing in that strangled whisper all the damn time? Whitney was a m a z i n g.❤

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279September 18, 2022 1:22 AM

Roseanne Barr

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280September 18, 2022 1:23 AM

by Anonymousreply 281September 18, 2022 1:24 AM

R274- Not just that. She's not talented in ANY way but a lot of HOMOS and woman have adored her for decades.

by Anonymousreply 282September 18, 2022 1:25 AM

Miley's version of Like a Prayer was awful.

by Anonymousreply 283September 18, 2022 1:28 AM

Miley sucks

by Anonymousreply 284September 18, 2022 1:31 AM

278 ahahahahahahahaha Janet cannot sound as good as Madonna on Madonna’s worst day. The anti-Madonna loons gaslight. That is the only way they think they can change opinion, but we have hears, and eyes, and memories. 99.9% of people think Janet cannot sing and 99.9% think Madonna can. Madonna is not in the Greats range except for the category of being emotive with her voice.

by Anonymousreply 285September 18, 2022 1:33 AM

R282 Here comes the ancient white fags troll. Block it and see for yourself.

by Anonymousreply 286September 18, 2022 1:33 AM

Janet's sounds about as good as Madonna does. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 287September 18, 2022 1:34 AM

R287 ahahahahahahahaha my sides oooookay, hun.

by Anonymousreply 288September 18, 2022 1:36 AM

It's the truth. Madonna and Janet are about the same level of vocalist. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 289September 18, 2022 1:36 AM

289 Said no one ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290September 18, 2022 1:37 AM

Mariah is the poor man’s Celine and Whitney Janet is the poor man’s Madonna Justin Timberlake is the poor man’s MJ and Prince Jessica Simpson is the poor man’s Christina Aguilera Patti L is the poor man’s Aretha

Whitney is the Voice Beyoncé is the Queen B Madonna is the Queen of Pop Aretha is the Queen of Soul Celine is the Queen of Ballads MJ is the King of Pop Britney is the Princess of Pop Mariah is the Queen of Fraud

by Anonymousreply 291September 18, 2022 1:46 AM

And Janet is MJ’s sister

by Anonymousreply 292September 18, 2022 1:47 AM

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Mary J. Blige.

She has always received a lot of kudos for her singing, and her voice does have a mournful tone to it which allows her to convey a lot of emotion in her songs.

But the bitch always sounds off-key to me. Most singers, when they go off-key, go flat. MJB sounds like she's singing sharp a lot of the time, which is weird.

by Anonymousreply 293September 18, 2022 1:48 AM

CHRIS CORNELL. He was the Christina Aguilera of hard rock. Constantly oversinging. Sometimes he'd be great but many times he'd just screech (like on Jesus Christ Pose). Layne Staley was the best rock singer of the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 294September 18, 2022 1:49 AM

R293, can you believe at one point some people were comparing Mary J. Blige to Aretha!?!? It boggles my mind. Mary is not even in the top 10% of singers, nevermind near the queen of soul.

by Anonymousreply 295September 18, 2022 1:50 AM

294, 295 blocked racist troll talking to itself.

by Anonymousreply 296September 18, 2022 1:52 AM

Britney and Madonna both sound like they need adenoid surgery! ASAP!

by Anonymousreply 297September 18, 2022 1:54 AM

297 Trying too hard.

by Anonymousreply 298September 18, 2022 1:55 AM

[quote] 294, 295 blocked racist troll talking to itself.

You're an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 299September 18, 2022 1:57 AM

[quote]CHRIS CORNELL. He was the Christina Aguilera of hard rock. Constantly oversinging. Sometimes he'd be great but many times he'd just screech (like on Jesus Christ Pose). Layne Staley was the best rock singer of the 90s.

Chris had a powerful distinctive voice, but, like so many other rock singers, he didn't know how to use his voice properly. That's why, years down the line, so many rock singers need throat surgery, they've damaged their vocal chords but not knowing how to sing properly..

Lots of rock singers actually don't have technically good voices, they are more song stylists than vocalists, people such as Rod Stewart, Layne Staley, Robert Smith, Bruce Springsteen etc. These singers voices definitely suit their bands sound, their voices function like another instrument.

by Anonymousreply 300September 18, 2022 2:01 AM

I agree with all of the people listed here except for Whitney, Annie and Ella.

I am quickly going to become even more hated but George Michael had a thin voice. Great performer and I love many of his songs but, he's overrated vocally.

by Anonymousreply 301September 18, 2022 2:05 AM

R291 Why don't you learn to construct a couple proper sentences before you post? Ya nuthin but run-on sentences, vile fucking cunt.

by Anonymousreply 302September 18, 2022 2:13 AM

Kirsten Flagstad

by Anonymousreply 303September 18, 2022 2:16 AM

You ain't getting a blue ribbon for your grammar homework neither, R302.

by Anonymousreply 304September 18, 2022 2:21 AM

R304 ancient white fags troll

by Anonymousreply 305September 18, 2022 2:24 AM

R305 must be the ANCIENT WHITE RACIST FAG!!! Loathed old man multiple poster from multiple accounts. Stupid but relentless opinions.

His old man racist opinions are all over this thread. And diaper smell.

by Anonymousreply 306September 18, 2022 2:27 AM

306 is a staunch trumper. Block and behold

by Anonymousreply 307September 18, 2022 2:30 AM

This thread is getting even uglier.

by Anonymousreply 308September 18, 2022 2:37 AM

R308 That's just the shitty smell of your prolapsed anus, sister. You need to give it a good wipe once in awhile.

by Anonymousreply 309September 18, 2022 2:41 AM

Try harder moron. I am left of Trotsky. A true progressive. Black. Ain't no one blocking me.

Put the bottle down and get strapped in for the night, R307.

You stalk posters out here. We can't block you because you have so many accounts.

Go jerk me a soda.

You're about to be healed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310September 18, 2022 2:41 AM

People like R309 and R310 just have to gaslight and have an agenda. They’re racist Trump supporters who spam DL. BTW- this is at most 2 posters which is evident when you block them.

by Anonymousreply 311September 18, 2022 2:43 AM

308 As was the intention.

by Anonymousreply 312September 18, 2022 2:43 AM

DL has always been close to 100% trolls, dumbfuckers. Has been in all the years I knew about it.

by Anonymousreply 313September 18, 2022 2:49 AM

Céline is "uncool" because she1. is just not a very pretty woman and 2., has lived an extremely sheltered, conservative life. From what I remember, she comes from a deeply religious (catholic) family with like 15 kids, and she got married to a middle-aged man at 19 or 20. She met her future husband when she was just 12, so she likely never slept with another man, at least until he died. Looks aside, is it any surprise she never radiated "sexy"?

I feel sorry for her; she must have missed out on so much. And although she seems to have loved her husband dearly, the way that relationship started was creepy as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 314September 18, 2022 3:33 AM

Celine is a MAJOR touring force, the 2nd highest touring artist of all time just 2nd to Madonna. This says a lot. Mariah and Janet tours always FLOPPED hard. Touring is where money comes from. I understand why Mariah tours are not attracting fans but never understand why Janet tours were never doing well. She’s a good entertainer too, not at Madonna or Beyoncé level but not bad at all.

by Anonymousreply 315September 18, 2022 5:54 AM

Touring shows the level of true, deep support. Mariah and Janet have good commercial success, but way lower touring success. Speaks volumes.

by Anonymousreply 316September 18, 2022 6:03 AM

Yeah, Janet doesn't have deep support. I agree with that. Her low Spotify streams show she's not really thought of by the younger generation too.

by Anonymousreply 317September 18, 2022 6:41 AM

[quote]Only ACTUAL singers please (no Britney, Madonna, Janet)

by Anonymousreply 318September 18, 2022 6:55 AM

Edith Piaf. France considers her a treasure, but her nasal, droning voice seems peculiar to me.

by Anonymousreply 319September 18, 2022 7:01 AM

[quote] France considers her a treasure because of her nasal, droning voice

Fixed!

by Anonymousreply 320September 18, 2022 7:08 AM

The comment above about the insane asylum is spot on and really made me laugh. I grew up on Whitney, Mariah, Celine and Janet and loved them all and I was obsessed. But I have enough sanity to see their flaws and to recognise and acknowledge what other artists, that I like less/don’t like have done well, what they’re good at etc. R229 laying into Mariah so much sounds like the loon rather than anyone posting videos of Mariah singing well. Better to be a loon who’s got a positive passion for something than one who’s deranged and negatively obsessing over someone or something that hate anyway.

by Anonymousreply 321September 18, 2022 7:21 AM

^ *they* hate

by Anonymousreply 322September 18, 2022 7:22 AM

Mariah Drew Carey

by Anonymousreply 323September 18, 2022 9:10 AM

Madonna voice many yrs ago was described as Betty Boop on helium..., Britney can’t sing either but they are fabulous entertainersand that’s all that really matters to their fans.

They gave good show

by Anonymousreply 324September 18, 2022 11:15 AM

[quote]They gave good show

You want a stage show? Go see a Broadway musical or go to Las Vegas.

Music should not be about an elaborate stage show. The shows are there because the so-called 'singer' cannot sing for shit. As my father says, "You can't see all that nonsense when you are listening to their records." Of course, he's100% correct.

by Anonymousreply 325September 18, 2022 12:10 PM

Don't forget me! Was I overrated or underrated?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326September 18, 2022 12:34 PM

Chris Cornell was like Jeff Buckley. Both incredibly talented singers, and sometimes the oversinging worked great, other times it didn't.

by Anonymousreply 327September 18, 2022 12:42 PM

Patti LaBelle. She doesn't sing a song, she just sells Patti. She has no respect for a melody and often she mangles the lyrics. She screeches and screams and has been a horrific role model for the many aspiring vocalists.

by Anonymousreply 328September 18, 2022 12:49 PM

I 100% concur on Miss Patti LaYell.

Like Judy G. and Janis J. she would be a far more compelling singer if she would just take it down a notch. Or two.

by Anonymousreply 329September 18, 2022 1:25 PM

Barbara Streisand overrated?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330September 18, 2022 1:49 PM

R2 and R218 STOLE this thread 😂😂😂

by Anonymousreply 331September 18, 2022 2:16 PM

Sorry I meant

R1 and R218 STOLE this thread 😂😂

by Anonymousreply 332September 18, 2022 2:17 PM

[quote] Music should not be about an elaborate stage show.

I agree with this. I don't care about seeing live animals, masturbation, costumes, 1000 backup daners on stage. I just want to see the music.

by Anonymousreply 333September 18, 2022 2:31 PM

R333 this is stupid. If I just want to listen to music, I can just play music at home. I’d rather pay hundreds of dollars to see a spectacular show than see a singer s just standing there and lip syncing. That’s a major difference between Celine’s show and Mariah. Celine can sing and her shows are fucking amazing, very entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 334September 18, 2022 2:46 PM

[quote] I’d rather pay hundreds of dollars to see a spectacular show than see a singer s just standing there and [bold]lip syncing[/bold]

The point just went right over your head.

[quote] That’s a major difference between Celine’s show and Mariah.

As unbelievable as this may sound, there are other artists in the world aside from pop divas. Some singers don't need to have 1000 dancers or cyborgs included in their shows to make an interesting performance. They can just sing and captivate people. Aretha is an example of that. And there are even artists out there who play instruments like guitars and the drums live! These are usually rock artists. They can play music and make people interested without 100000 costume changes.

by Anonymousreply 335September 18, 2022 2:58 PM

How did 334 like their own post 14 times? That's impressive.

by Anonymousreply 336September 18, 2022 3:02 PM

And that’s why Celine is a major minor touring force. Millions paid high priced tickets just to see her shows. Amazing.

by Anonymousreply 337September 18, 2022 3:08 PM

OP, everything you say in your original post is bullshit. Streisand's voice for over 45 years was a hell of a lot more than just "pretty," and she certainly was not "destroyed" by Donna Summer in that duet. In fact, it was said that in trying to keep up with singing with Streisand, Summer fell off erh chair.

by Anonymousreply 338September 18, 2022 3:27 PM

You don't need a big voice to be a great vocalist. I think people are misunderstanding the term, and yes, as someone said, this has turned into a dueling divas discussion.

by Anonymousreply 339September 18, 2022 9:49 PM

R218 Celine never "ran away scared" in that clip, stupid cunt. The show was over. Urethra Franklin fucked her father and had a kid with him. Disgusting. Celine fucked a grandpa and had his frozen sperm impregnate her for millions of dollars. Disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 340September 18, 2022 11:41 PM

R340, I think that poster may have been referring to Mariah. Mariah was indeed no match for Aretha that night. Mariah claims she didn't want to "upstage" her . I call BS.

by Anonymousreply 341September 18, 2022 11:43 PM

R340 has mental illness and is illiterate. R218 specifically implied Mariah was the one who was scared and ran away.

by Anonymousreply 342September 18, 2022 11:44 PM

R56 Years ago I remember reading a blind item, supposedly about Britney, saying she was fully invested in some kind of imagined relationship with Prince William and devastated when it turned out to be nothing, which precipitated her first breakdown. Granted, just a dumb blind item from back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 343September 18, 2022 11:58 PM

Shit, wrong thread. But almost fits.

by Anonymousreply 344September 18, 2022 11:59 PM

R341: yeah I think Mariah knew her voice had gone to shit. She’s always been bitter about that night because Celine did come forward and ‘sing’ with Aretha. I love Celine but hate the screaming she did but then she was only matching what Aretha was doing.

Back to Mariah’s bitterness about it, without naming her she bitched about Celine that night again in her book, for having the audacity to dare step up and sing alongside Aretha. This is all part of Mariah’s black is great, white is bad schtick though.

by Anonymousreply 345September 19, 2022 12:06 AM

Mariah is so overrated.

by Anonymousreply 346September 19, 2022 12:11 AM

Some would say that Mariah is the MOST overrated vocalist.

by Anonymousreply 347September 19, 2022 12:13 AM

R345, yup, I read the same thing. Its so dumb. Why is she mad at Celine for "throwing done" with Aretha when Aretha wanted her to go toe-to-toe with her? That video also reveals how great of a singer Aretha is. She had more grit and personaltiy than any woman on that stage. And she maintained her voice for like 5 decades.

by Anonymousreply 348September 19, 2022 12:37 AM

R348: agree. It’s funny I watched that expecting to think Aretha was awful and screaming but she sounded better than Mariah and Celine. Maybe as gospel and shrieking to God suits her voice better than theirs, definitely Celine’s.

by Anonymousreply 349September 19, 2022 1:53 AM

R349, that's why she's the real Queen of Soul. The other women there are just pop stars.

by Anonymousreply 350September 19, 2022 2:09 AM

I should say "pop vocalists".

by Anonymousreply 351September 19, 2022 2:09 AM

Aretha's voice did not hold up for 50 years. Barely 30.

Celine stood toe to toe with her. Matched and bested her in vocal purity and accuracy. Aretha was in good shape that night with the famous soar to her voice - but it was already raspy by that point for years.

Celine's voice is hard on the Elder Ears of so many DL posters, because she is a pure soprano with a real 4 octave range + the head voice and coloratura. Her clarity and resonance and bell like tones were unmatched by anyone. Amazing power too. Celine did her thing with Aretha - cuz Aretha was singing her part. Celine is the sweetest woman in the world but she's a DIVA too. She could have hit exclamation notes an octave above if she wanted to show off. She was respectful AND sang HER part.

Carole King thought so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352September 19, 2022 4:02 AM

[quote] As my father says, "You can't see all that nonsense when you are listening to their records." Of course, he's100% correct.

of course, mary!!

by Anonymousreply 353September 19, 2022 4:05 AM

R352 Exactly. And these cunts are claiming Celine scurried away from Urethra like a rat.

by Anonymousreply 354September 19, 2022 5:10 AM

Billie motherfucking Eilish. That bitch's picture is right above the printed definition of industry plant.

No-one earns/wins several decades worth of awards and once in a lifetime career opportunities in less than five years without TONS of help and payola.

And no-one should be dead behind the eyes at such an early age like that either.

She always looks bored or unamused in spite of her huge manufactured success and having everything handed to her but when she won that Academy Award she dropped the fake act and was jumping up and down and grinning ear to ear like the cat who got the cream.

Also it's obvious her brother is/was fucking/sexually abusing her. The fact his girlfriend looks exactly like her Is fucking creepy.

by Anonymousreply 355September 19, 2022 5:50 AM

All of them except Gladys

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 356September 19, 2022 6:17 AM

Gladys is great.

by Anonymousreply 357September 19, 2022 6:37 AM

Who doesn't love Gladys? (Aretha - who hated every female singer)

This is Vegas act as hell - her rich, raspy, powerful voice with the catch in each note - what a fucking joy. Great singing and performance. Gladys Knight's voice cuts through to the solar plexus. Always. Empress of Soul - because otherwise Aretha would sue.

Gladys is > Streisand. Nobody beats Gladys Knight singing The Way We Were. She probably performed it somewhere last night.

Real singers want to sing. For people. Live.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 358September 19, 2022 7:45 AM

It's ridiculous to compare Aretha Franklin with Celine Dion, who had a great voice, no doubt, but wasn't a musical talent. So much of what Aretha did was being her own musician, arranger, conductor. She was the center piece when she recorded all those Atlantic Records in Muscle Shoals. The musicians just fell around her and what she did on the piano. She was the musical inspiration.

by Anonymousreply 359September 19, 2022 9:57 AM

Elvis The Pelvis

by Anonymousreply 360September 19, 2022 10:40 AM

It’s funny we all just started naming females. I’d say most males singers are overrated. Bruce Springsteen has been hailed for his voice which is technically shitty, but it works for the music he “sings”.

Most of what many consider to be great voices are just screamers to sound loud. No vibrato in sight.

by Anonymousreply 361September 19, 2022 10:52 AM

Norah Jones…snooze-worthy.

by Anonymousreply 362September 19, 2022 4:16 PM

R293, You are not wrong. As someone who listens to R&B and I love old school Mary but she has been singing off pitch for YEARS. She always did oversing but her pitch problems have made some of her performances downright sorry and I'm talking about since circa 2006. Alicia Keys is another one, who be crafting songs in keys that she never duplicate live and be pitchy as fuck. That's why when people say Beyonce is overrated one thing about that girl is she knows pitch and melody. She never over sings and the shit usually sounds flawless.

by Anonymousreply 363September 19, 2022 4:18 PM

Whitney. Absolute zero emotion. Just singing notes. One might as well had a machine do it.

by Anonymousreply 364September 19, 2022 4:24 PM

Beyoncé has pitch issues sometimes too.

by Anonymousreply 365September 19, 2022 4:35 PM

[quote]Alicia Keys is another one, who be crafting songs in keys that she never duplicate live and be pitchy as fuck.

I don't make a point of keeping up, but I've heard Keys sing live a couple of times on telecasts and her voice sounded really damaged. That stood out to me more than pitch issues, and it didn't sound like a passing indisposition. It sounded as though she had sung a lot with a bad technical foundation, and it had caught up with her: just fried. And the earlier of these occasions was in the early 2010s, when she hadn't been around that long.

It was surprising to me, because I understood she had a serious musical education. But then, some opera singers study for years and take master classes with retired greats and also shred their voices within ten years, so it does happen. (If someone's heard Keys recently and she sounded glorious, I'll be happy to be wrong.)

by Anonymousreply 366September 19, 2022 5:03 PM

I agree OP

by Anonymousreply 367September 19, 2022 5:04 PM

This is a little off topic but I will never forget watching an episode of the View when Beyonce begin singing as Elizabeth was still giving her introduction. It's classic diva behavior.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368September 19, 2022 5:09 PM

R362 Thank Gawd this is an anonymous site because you'd be in danger of being suffocated by those fat, miserable cows from the 2000s who were dictating she was the savior of music., after they turned on Jewel for doing that Pop Intuition song.

Horrible creatures... still have nightmares about them.

by Anonymousreply 369September 19, 2022 5:14 PM

When did anyone declare Norah Jones the savior of music? Must have missed that

by Anonymousreply 370September 19, 2022 5:26 PM

Her debut album had music critics tripping over themselves trying to one up each other in their praise of her.

by Anonymousreply 371September 19, 2022 5:28 PM

The media spent decades declaring so and so the “new Madonna”. The media record companies now collude and help each other’s artists with puff pieces and declarations of so and so being “the all time great.”

by Anonymousreply 372September 19, 2022 10:27 PM

[quote] That's why when people say Beyonce is overrated one thing about that girl is she knows pitch and melody. She never over sings and the shit usually sounds flawless.

But her TONE is so fucking annoying. Always sounds whiny

by Anonymousreply 373September 19, 2022 10:55 PM

R371 That's true. Her music is pleasant but nothing to exult about.

by Anonymousreply 374September 19, 2022 10:56 PM

Ho please

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 375September 19, 2022 10:58 PM

Gladys did a masterful version of The Way We Were some time ago in the 90s at VH1. Beautifully done, sheer vocalist master class and I think musical genius Ricky Minor did the instrumental arrangements. It's one of my favourite live performances by a singer, just wonderful!

The way Barbra never could!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 376September 20, 2022 12:25 AM

People excited by Norah Jones have never heard actual jazz singers.

by Anonymousreply 377September 20, 2022 12:34 AM

Male singers never get the scrutiny females do and they are the ones who are truly overrated. Most can’t sing.

by Anonymousreply 378September 20, 2022 12:46 AM

Sam Cooke and Luther Vandross want to have a word with R378

by Anonymousreply 379September 20, 2022 12:51 AM

R379, they did say "most". And it's true. I'm still blown away Mick Jagger's voice constitutes "music". More tuneless than any of The Beatles.

by Anonymousreply 380September 20, 2022 1:09 AM

Randy Newman. Although I guess he’s regarded as more of a songwriter. I just can’t listen to him.

by Anonymousreply 381September 20, 2022 1:14 AM

Yeah most of the people here are pretty well rated for their level of talent. I would also say Norah Jones is one of the most overrated, she was a total flash in the pan. I also agree that a lot of the men are overrated and get passes more than women.

Beyonce is an interesting case. Like someone said, she is a technically good singer, but I've always felt that Beyonce's vocals lacked soul. She rarely can convey real grit and emotion, it is always a show for her.

by Anonymousreply 382September 20, 2022 1:33 AM

I agree about Norah Jones. Saw her at the Hollywood Bowl and she was boring af. She CAN sing but totally overrated.

by Anonymousreply 383September 20, 2022 1:40 AM

Actually OP, Streisand’s voice in their duet has more range, clearer timber, more power, much more pure pitch and supple dynamics. Donna herself said she understood why Streisand was such an icon when they recorded. So… Clearly you don’t know much about her, or singing.

by Anonymousreply 384September 20, 2022 2:57 AM

Fuck Streizand, no one cares. She is an example of someone with a great voice who was NOT a great singer. Her first and only priority was always to show off her voice. She destroyed more songs than she elevated. Talk about oversinging. Yikes.

Thank you R376. No one sings The Way We Were like Gladys Knight. She's been singing it in concert for 50 years, but your posted performance is incredible. Amazing.❤

by Anonymousreply 385September 20, 2022 5:25 AM

[quote]Randy Newman. Although I guess he’s regarded as more of a songwriter. I just can’t listen to him.

I can, but I just think of him as one of those people who aren't great singers but can effectively put their own material across. Like Paul Simon, but with more personality and humor in the delivery. You never feel you're listening to a demo, at least.

But more highly regarded as a songwriter/composer, for sure. Some of his non-'toon movie scores are beautiful. He had a nice run as Hollywood's "bygone America" guy (Ragtime, The Natural, Avalon, Pleasantville).

by Anonymousreply 386September 20, 2022 6:22 AM

What about Chaka Khan? She's just OK to me. I have not seen a performance of hers where I was like "wow."

by Anonymousreply 387September 20, 2022 8:18 AM

Sia! People say what an amazing voice she has. She sings like she has marbles in her mouth, it's ridiculous. In her song "Elastic Heart", she sings: "I'm still fighting for peace", and it literally sounds like she's singing: "I'm still farting for peace."

by Anonymousreply 388September 20, 2022 8:34 AM

I thought the title said overweight.

by Anonymousreply 389September 20, 2022 8:43 AM

R388, there’s a vocal coach on YouTube who teaches people how to sing and annunciate like Sia. It’s hilarious and they’re dead serious.

by Anonymousreply 390September 20, 2022 8:43 AM

David Gilmour's voice. If I never hear that reedy-sounding fuck sing "owe ah weesh yew wa heah-erh" again it will be too soon.

by Anonymousreply 391September 20, 2022 9:39 AM

r387 Chaka is not OVERrated at all. When we have this lists and threads of great singers she is always underrated or an after thought, the fact that it took almost 400 replies before she's mentioned indicates she's not overrated. Chaka is an amazing vocalist, when's she not high!

by Anonymousreply 392September 20, 2022 10:28 AM

Chaka isn't that great live. Amazing vocalist, OK performer and interpreter.

by Anonymousreply 393September 20, 2022 10:37 AM

Chaka wasn’t mentioned because no one cares. Her voice works for what she does, but she is overrated.

Mariah Carey owns this thread. She could sing for like 5 years then it was over. Terrible performer.

by Anonymousreply 394September 20, 2022 10:40 AM

Grace Jones may be a mediocre singer, but she gets her tits out stage while hula hooping. She’s a born entertainer.

by Anonymousreply 395September 20, 2022 10:44 AM

OMG R390! That's hilarious! Maybe I'll check it out sometime when I can stomach it!

by Anonymousreply 396September 20, 2022 11:39 AM

Liza.

There, I said it.

by Anonymousreply 397September 20, 2022 4:31 PM

Looks like we have a new JonesBot. I wish he, Janbot, and madgebot would jump in a lake.

by Anonymousreply 398September 20, 2022 4:59 PM

R295 I think the comparisons were more so that Mary was the Aretha Franklin of the newly emergent genre of hip-hop soul. And say what you want about her vocal prowess her style was highly influential. From Faith Evans to pop superstar, Mariah Carey. By the early 2000s all the pop/r&b galswere emulating the style she made famous. Beyonce gives her props, so does Christina Aguilera.

by Anonymousreply 399September 20, 2022 5:20 PM

Gaga

by Anonymousreply 400September 20, 2022 6:22 PM

Bette Midler.

by Anonymousreply 401September 20, 2022 6:26 PM

[quote]Chaka wasn’t mentioned because no one cares

r394 how can someone be overrated if no one cares? Make it make sense please.

by Anonymousreply 402September 20, 2022 11:10 PM

[quote] Sia! People say what an amazing voice she has.

Sia invented "seal voice". Her music is unlistenable. That song "Chandelier" is horrendous.

by Anonymousreply 403September 20, 2022 11:26 PM

Adele. She is someone who owes her mega-success to the fact that pop music made for people over 30 practically disappeared in mid-to late 2010's. There was virtually no serious competition for an act like her. 20-25 years ago, she would've been a second-tier pop star.

by Anonymousreply 404September 20, 2022 11:27 PM

Adele better get off her now skinny ass and deliver a good Vegas show. Those $58 million dollar houses don't pay for themselves.

by Anonymousreply 405September 21, 2022 1:18 AM

They are very different singers but I genuinely wonder if Adele would have exploded the way she did if Amy Winehouse never died? Amy's Back to Black was massive too. Not as massive as 21 but similarly to 25. And Amy's voice was more impressive and she was more creative.

by Anonymousreply 406September 21, 2022 1:37 AM

I don't think Amy had a better voice than Adele.

by Anonymousreply 407September 21, 2022 2:24 AM

R407, I think Amy had a better voice; it was more unique and dynamic. And I'm not an Adele hater; she is an excellent songwriter and competent vocalist.

I also think Erykah Badu has a better voice than many of the so called 4 octave divas. Melisma is overrated, unless you can execute it perfectly like Whitney or Queen Bey.

by Anonymousreply 408September 21, 2022 2:46 AM

Streisand

by Anonymousreply 409September 21, 2022 2:47 AM

Sarah Vaughan has no place on this list. She's one of the best to ever do it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 410September 21, 2022 2:48 AM

Tony Bennet

by Anonymousreply 411September 21, 2022 2:48 AM

Whitney's mother had 10X the expression and range of her daughter.

It's a shame that she never got bigger breaks and will now be best remembered as a grieving parent

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 412September 21, 2022 11:20 AM

[quote]Whitney's mother had 10X the expression and range of her daughter.

Range, absolutely, Cissy had an enormous organ, but as an interpreter she was totally flat. That woman had no idea what to do with a melody. That's why she never had a career beyond backup singer.

by Anonymousreply 413September 21, 2022 11:51 AM

^^^ She also didn't have the TONE. As I stated earlier, Whitney had a unique combo of Range, Technique, Tone, and Power. Each note was beautiful regardless of which register she was in.

[quote] Melisma is overrated, unless you can execute it perfectly like Whitney or Queen Bey.

You lost credibility comparing Beyonce to Whitney.

by Anonymousreply 414September 21, 2022 8:05 PM

R414, I made no such comparison. Queen Bey is in a league of her own.

by Anonymousreply 415September 21, 2022 8:11 PM

^^^^ yeah, about 50 leagues BELOW Whitney.

by Anonymousreply 416September 21, 2022 8:14 PM

Whitney Houston, RIP, ruined her voice with her addiction to cocaine and crack. Queen Bey's voice is a lively and earthly as ever.

by Anonymousreply 417September 21, 2022 8:27 PM

^^^ Compare Bey when she's 20 years older.

Anyway, Beyonce at her Prime is no where near Whitney at her prime on any level. Get real.

by Anonymousreply 418September 21, 2022 8:39 PM

Whitney died at 49. Unfortunately at 41, she was already a full fledged junkie who had ruined her vocal chords. Many friends who've seen her live in her later years can attest to that. Such a beautiful voice wasted. Here's Queen Bey just a couple years ago, just shy of 40.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 419September 21, 2022 8:43 PM

So what? Beyonce never had and never will have the beautiful voice that Whitney had. B has technique, I'll give her that. And power. But the actual sound of her voice is annoying.

Whitney---and NOT Beyonce---had what Dian Warren called "Not of this planet voices" (I forget the exact term she used, but she used it for Whitney and Celine, whom I do not like personally but understand why Diane W said that).

by Anonymousreply 420September 21, 2022 8:51 PM

R403 - "seal voice"! That's a perfect description!

by Anonymousreply 421September 21, 2022 8:54 PM

I see someone got pissed off and my comments have been removed. Lol. Be well.

by Anonymousreply 422September 21, 2022 8:55 PM

Beyoncé is a better performer but a XTina does have a better voice than B

by Anonymousreply 423September 21, 2022 9:27 PM

R1 has 60 LIKES? 60 agree with R1? OMG 😱

by Anonymousreply 424September 21, 2022 9:28 PM

R421, yup and it's true. I feel like after Sia hit it big, they were so many disposable female pop stars who had that same kind of voice. The early part of the 10s was rough!

by Anonymousreply 425September 21, 2022 9:55 PM

I was kinda startled at how terrible she became once she hit big. She was quite well respected on alternative radio here in Australia in the early days, though I was never a big fan. I do have her "Some People Have Real Problems" album though, and it's pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 426September 21, 2022 9:59 PM

I was in grad school in the early 10s and that "Wild One" song with Flo Rida was played incessantly. As was the David Guetta produced "Bulletproof". Both feature Sia's horrendous voice.

by Anonymousreply 427September 21, 2022 10:05 PM

Beyonce is a good singer and a great live performer, but unlike Whitney, she's overdoing it with the melisma.

by Anonymousreply 428September 21, 2022 10:08 PM

Diana Ross

by Anonymousreply 429September 21, 2022 10:11 PM

I grew up in the 60's and 70's with *great singers* so all the awful singers who came after left me cold.

Most overrated? Probably Whitney. (Sorry, I know she gets a lot of love but I never thought she was that good. She was very loud though, I'll give her that.)

Madge, obviously. Britney, Beyonce, so many I can't think of them all.

Aretha could really sing, even Disco Queen Donna Summer could sing her face off, a lot of those disco divas could really sing well. These pop princesses of today and in recent decades just can't sing, or sing poorly, weakly and barely.

Really sing or get the fuck out. I don't care about your "show" I care about How. Well. You. Can. SING.

by Anonymousreply 430September 21, 2022 10:13 PM

I'm really glad to see others talking about Sia's horrendous voice. I thought I was the only one, and it makes you feel a bit crazy when everyone else is saying how amazing it is and you can't hear it.

by Anonymousreply 431September 21, 2022 10:14 PM

[quote]What still freaks me out about Diana Ross is that her voice sounds so thin on records (but she has an excellent sense of rhythm and vocalist), but when I saw her live about 10 years ago, her voice was so big and full!!

I will always love Diana Ross' voice. So unique, nobody sounds like her, like flute, and she became an excellent vocalist and also live performer. And yes she has a very powerful voice. She's one of those singers where no other vocalist can sing her songs without falling flat. Here she is singing Close To You, and yes she's doing it better than Dionne, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 432September 21, 2022 10:17 PM

[quote] yes she's doing it better than Dionne

Shut your whore mouth!

Nobody did anything better than Miss Dionne!

by Anonymousreply 433September 21, 2022 10:24 PM

Diana Ross - Close To You

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 434September 21, 2022 10:26 PM

Diana’s voice is as thin as she is.

by Anonymousreply 435September 22, 2022 12:09 AM

You need a new set of ears R435

by Anonymousreply 436September 22, 2022 12:55 AM

You can tell Diana Ross is a born performer and absolutely loves to sing.

Here's a better video of her singing Close To You, in the previous one at R434 the sound was not in sync with the video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 437September 22, 2022 1:03 AM

Another vote for Adele. She is insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 438September 22, 2022 1:36 AM

[quote]vocal chords

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 439September 22, 2022 1:43 AM

Of course Diana Ross can sing, very well. Her voice is exceptionally sweet in tone and she always had great timing and rhythm - not overly ornamented, but an urban woman with innate individual style and soul. Over time her voice became stronger and her dynamic abilities deepened and developed. No more Minnie Mouse. Her voice is strong and powerful, just lighter in timber. No one sounds like Diana Ross. She's one of the greatest selling artists of all time and her sensitivity of a singer is sometimes overshadowed by her glamour as a woman. Her effects are always direct and from the heart, when her heart is in in. This is by no means her greatest vocal performance but a very mature and lovely one. Her voice shimmers and glimmers. It's silvery. So very pretty. Diana Ross is a STAR.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 440September 22, 2022 1:46 AM

[quote]Most overrated? Probably Whitney. (Sorry, I know she gets a lot of love but I never thought she was that good. She was very loud though, I'll give her that.)

Again, saying something like this is hard to take you seriously. You may not. LIKE her style, which was very gospel-influenced, but she was way more that "LOUD".

Listen to onen of her 1st singles, YOU GIVE GOOD LOVE on headphones. She has dynamics, range. Same with Saving All my love for YOU. every time she holds the note on for YOU, she sustains and changes the register to a flute-like falsetto with a touch of vibrato, never losing pitch.

There's a reason she's known in the industry as "the voice". Musicians understand the complexity of Whitney's talent, regardless of whether you like her style and song selection.

by Anonymousreply 441September 22, 2022 1:54 AM

Even sung as a bridge between other songs, this is such evocative and pretty singing. Diana Ross has a beautiful way with melody, be it a dance track, a ballad or a classic torch song. Ms. Ross is an UNDERRATED vocalist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 442September 22, 2022 1:54 AM

I totally agree, r441. The world ain't flat. Whitney was the very best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 443September 22, 2022 3:27 AM

Miss Warwick's twitter page remains wonderfully weird.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 444September 22, 2022 4:02 AM

Has anyone mentioned Michael Bolton yet? That guy sounds like ass.

by Anonymousreply 445September 22, 2022 4:13 AM

Bolton always sounds like he’s passing gallstones. Or needs more fiber in his diet.

by Anonymousreply 446September 22, 2022 6:41 PM

Bolton was Frau catnip in the early '90s, but I never had a perception that he was well respected. There might have been a decent voice in there, but he had no taste. He was like an overwrought parody of "blue-eyed soul." And I'm writing about him in the past tense, even though he's probably still doing his thing out there.

by Anonymousreply 447September 22, 2022 6:50 PM

Bolton's heyday ended years ago so we're not forced to listed to her today like we are Adele.

by Anonymousreply 448September 22, 2022 6:54 PM

*listen

by Anonymousreply 449September 22, 2022 6:55 PM

Adele

by Anonymousreply 450September 22, 2022 9:54 PM

Most Underrated:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 451September 22, 2022 11:10 PM

Eartha Kitt

by Anonymousreply 452September 22, 2022 11:36 PM

Nobody ever called Eartha Kitt a vocalist. A throat goat maybe.

I stand by my earlier assertion that Sarah Vaughan is overrated. Of course she had a stellar voice and was a jazz great. BUT. She dismantles the song as much as sings it. It's all too much. She was almost always drunk and high when she sang and it shows.

by Anonymousreply 453September 23, 2022 3:22 AM

I have a problem with her hybrid voice. I guess she was one of the great? old troupers. It's show off unrelatable singing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 454September 23, 2022 3:38 AM

R454, Did you just arrive at the planet from Mars? Unrelatable singing? The vast majority of the comments below that performance indicate what a superb talent Sarah was. Your problems with her are a YOU problem. Trust me, plenty of people related to her singing for almost fifty years.

She's nowhere close to being overrated. She's OFF the list.

by Anonymousreply 455September 23, 2022 9:23 AM

I agree Sarah Vaughan is overrated. She always sound too hollow

by Anonymousreply 456September 24, 2022 5:09 AM

Noticing which singers are not getting mentioned

by Anonymousreply 457September 24, 2022 5:09 AM

R456, you need to get your ears checked, Vaughan is never overrated. Who are you heathens?

by Anonymousreply 458September 24, 2022 6:02 AM

Beyoncé.

by Anonymousreply 459September 24, 2022 12:24 PM

R1 and R218 already sum up everything. Thank you

by Anonymousreply 460September 24, 2022 2:48 PM

Sure, Jan. At 460. Celine Dion scurried away from Urethra. OK.

by Anonymousreply 461September 25, 2022 4:49 AM

Someone ancient and blind has woke up from his bender.

Who says sure, Jan? But a 75 year old KWEEN!

by Anonymousreply 462September 25, 2022 5:04 AM

Who cunts out the non-existent word QUEEN but fucking Janbot. Fuck off, Janbot.

by Anonymousreply 463September 25, 2022 5:55 AM

KWEEN I meant. Fucking merc retro.

by Anonymousreply 464September 25, 2022 6:30 AM

Sarah Vaughan without all the operatic forays into oversinging and drunken self indulgence: This girl is good.

Fresh clean jazz singing with a familiar refrain. Stardust. Samara Joy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 465September 29, 2022 2:15 AM

R465, is hilarious with his Sarah Vaughan erasure? Dude give it up. Sarah will always the DIVA LEGEND DIVINE ONE ok?

by Anonymousreply 466September 29, 2022 5:33 PM

The greatest singer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 467September 29, 2022 5:36 PM

R465--Wow, never heard of her. Fantastic!

by Anonymousreply 468September 29, 2022 5:37 PM

Fritz Wunderlich

by Anonymousreply 469October 17, 2022 12:05 AM

Billy Eilish

by Anonymousreply 470October 17, 2022 1:43 AM

[quote]Fritz Wunderlich

I don't think he's overrated for the singing he did, but he's a case of the tragically young death that stimulates romantic sensibilities. "If only he had lived longer!" When, of course, if the person had lived longer, anything could have happened, including a premature decline.

by Anonymousreply 471October 17, 2022 3:54 AM

If he hadn't died young he might have suffered a premature vocal decline? That's tragic R471. Fritz dodged a bullet.

Amy Winehouse died young and already couldn't sing no more. At all.

by Anonymousreply 472October 20, 2022 5:23 AM

Billie Eilish makes some pretty dreamy music. And she can sing, in her style.

I more a fan or Lauren Spencer Smith. She has a lot of the bad habits of the indie girls singers for 25 years now - the broken vowel, too much tremelo, slightly crying voice.

But she can really sing - the instrument is fully there. And this is a well written song for a 16 year old. Canadian girls don't get in the game without being able to sing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 473October 20, 2022 5:39 AM

I like Eilish's voice. She just does lots of mumbling

by Anonymousreply 474October 20, 2022 1:43 PM

Maxine Sullivan

by Anonymousreply 475December 3, 2022 11:31 PM

Audra MacDonald. I love her as an actress ('The Good Fight') but not her singing - even though everyone thinks she's incredible.

by Anonymousreply 476December 3, 2022 11:35 PM

Adele. She has no range above a high E. All her shit sounds the same.

by Anonymousreply 477December 3, 2022 11:40 PM

Irene Cara. Ugliest bitch alive. Had a great voice but horrible repulsive personality that killed her career. Watch the duet with Andy Gibb. A super fug bitch like her cannot be that cocky with cutie Andy.

by Anonymousreply 478December 3, 2022 11:49 PM

Audra's voice is a sometimes uncomfortable mix of Broadway and classical styles. She's a legit singer with a glorious, robust instrument. Great as she is - she lacks a certain charisma.

When she did that killer-cast benefit performance of DreamGirls - she was unimpressive with the rymthmic faux motown, light disco sound. Her voice is a bit plummy.

Beautiful here. It's a gorgeous song - for men. Tveit and Esparza are swooning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 479December 4, 2022 12:23 AM

There's no one very good right now. It was exciting when Whitney and Mariah came along at the same time. It's been a while. That's why the mediocre are selling records.

by Anonymousreply 480December 4, 2022 12:45 AM

[quote] Mariah Carey is not overrated. Her rating is well-deserved. Just the song "Vanishing" from her debut album is enough to establish that fact and unlike her contemporaries, she evolved her style a lot.

One song and one performance does not a vocalist make. Mariah was a competent performer for about the first 5 years and since then she has been lip-synching.

by Anonymousreply 481December 4, 2022 1:29 AM

Idina Menzel owns this thread. Her voice is like a squeaky child who has just sucked in as much helium as possible. Kristin Chenoweth is the same. Whenever I hear either of these "singers" it's like someone running their nails on a chalkboard.

by Anonymousreply 482December 4, 2022 4:47 AM

R478, WOW. You must have known her personally.

by Anonymousreply 483December 4, 2022 4:50 AM

[quote] Chaka wasn’t mentioned because no one cares. Her voice works for what she does, but she is overrated.

I don't think Chaka Khan has received enough acclaim to be "overrated." She is a phenomenal talent who has been highly influential to almost every female vocalist that has come after her. Even Aretha Franklin -- who hated other female singers -- liked Chaka and would occasionally praise her. Chaka isn't a trained, disciplined vocalist, and had debilitating addiction issues for most of her career, so she doesn't have a whole bunch of incredible performances on record.

This is a good one showcasing how effortlessly she could access most of her range. I believe she was pregnant at the time, so she was probably not using and it shows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 484December 4, 2022 3:41 PM

R355 You should have quit before the last paragraph.

by Anonymousreply 485December 4, 2022 4:01 PM

Beyoncé

by Anonymousreply 486May 16, 2023 6:30 PM

Liza Minelli and Shirley Bassey. They both basically over-enunciated and shouted two to three notes in each song they "sang."

by Anonymousreply 487May 16, 2023 7:57 PM

Celine fucking Dion. Nails on a chalkboard.

by Anonymousreply 488May 16, 2023 8:00 PM

Many of the "divas"/vocal powerhouses have voices that are impressive, but not necessarily pleasant imo. Celine, Amy Winehouse, even Mariah ... they make your jaw drop, but I don't find their voices "beautiful". Whereas someone like Madonna might be talentless in comparison, but has a much more pleasant tone.

by Anonymousreply 489May 17, 2023 4:16 AM

R489, agreed. Nobody's tone is harsher than Aguilera's though. Dear god, to be able to sing but sound like THAT. What a curse.

by Anonymousreply 490May 17, 2023 12:04 PM

Adele. The woman can only sing in one key and has zero range.

by Anonymousreply 491May 17, 2023 7:40 PM

[quote]Madonna might be talentless in comparison, but has a much more pleasant tone.

I heard something by her in a store the other day, and there was nothing pleasant about it. It was non-musical warbling. Not to say I'd prefer to hear Aguilera or Mariah, but Madonna's singing voice is the most mediocre one with which anyone has ever been paid to sing.

by Anonymousreply 492May 17, 2023 8:20 PM

R36 Carole king was never ever considered a vocalist. Only a songwriter and then a singer/songwriter. Her voice by itself is a squak.

by Anonymousreply 493May 17, 2023 8:28 PM

R478 she’s dead and you’re an asshole of misery.

by Anonymousreply 494May 17, 2023 8:29 PM

R478 What duet?

by Anonymousreply 495May 18, 2023 10:02 AM

R495: Presumably her "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" duet with Andy Gibb when he was the co-host of Solid Gold in '82. I'd never seen it myself. I don't think she's doing anything here except trying to create the usual cheesy variety-show "chemistry" with the other singer. It's sad they're both gone, though. He was 24 here and only made it a few days past 30.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 496May 18, 2023 10:28 AM

R496 What's wrong with this duet? Did she not look at him enough? I didn't get a sense she was being "cocky."

by Anonymousreply 497May 18, 2023 10:39 AM

If no one's mentioned Frank Sinatra yet, then him. Not a fan of him, his music, or his overrated voice.

by Anonymousreply 498May 18, 2023 12:32 PM

Billy Potter

Hermione Gingold

Lens Dunham

by Anonymousreply 499May 18, 2023 12:45 PM

Beyoncé

by Anonymousreply 500May 18, 2023 12:47 PM

R496 Jeesus fack. Videos of super fug Irene Cara should come with a warning. Besides Rue Mclanahan there's never been an uglier bitch to ever cunt her way in the universe.

by Anonymousreply 501May 19, 2023 6:11 AM

Stefani Germanotta

by Anonymousreply 502May 24, 2023 11:07 AM

Michael Buble. How has he been so successful? He sounds like he’s having a stroke.

by Anonymousreply 503May 24, 2023 11:08 AM

R503 He is truly awful. I've always heard him described as the world's "greatest karaoke singer".

by Anonymousreply 504May 24, 2023 12:53 PM

Mariah voice @ Lovers and Friends concert in May 2023 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂💩💩💩💩💩💩

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 505May 24, 2023 1:48 PM

R505 Bitch's voice is long gone. All she has left is hand flourishes.

by Anonymousreply 506May 24, 2023 2:36 PM

R505: wow, that really does shit all over 90s Mariah when she sang that song and everything else pretty much effortlessly.

by Anonymousreply 507May 25, 2023 8:15 AM

Rod Stewart- He sounds like broken glass and razor blades run through a dry garbage disposal with some thick powder cleanser mixed in. I hated how in the 1990s he was considered some fantastic vocalist, gargling his way through duets with The Temptations and "classic" songs. He made some of the most cringe worthy and trashy music of the disco era1970s, but suddenly he was on par with Judy Garland, Frank Sinatra, etc. If I never hear his version of "Reason to Believe" again, it will be too soon.

Better Midler- How appropriate future generations will only know her as a warbling witch.

by Anonymousreply 508May 25, 2023 9:03 AM

Bump. My top three (female): Aretha Franklin, Joni Mitchell, Bonnie Raitt. Not saying they aren't good or formidable, just that they're overrated.

by Anonymousreply 509June 19, 2023 3:02 PM

Taylor Swift or Beyoncé. Pretty much a tie…

by Anonymousreply 510June 19, 2023 3:06 PM

That girl who played the secondary female lead in the recent London production of Anything Goes. Beyond dull, no stage presence and highly forgettable. Who’d she f*** to get cast?

by Anonymousreply 511June 19, 2023 3:23 PM

[quote] Madonna's singing voice is the most mediocre one with which anyone has ever been paid to sing.

That bitch was singing off-key ON THE RECORD!

by Anonymousreply 512June 19, 2023 3:36 PM

Stefanie Germanaughty aka Lady Gaga

by Anonymousreply 513June 21, 2023 12:20 PM

Singers like Cher, Rihanna, Britney and even Lana Del Rey whom ai love do not have great voices but they have genuinely distinctive tones, you can instantly recognise them which is why they are very successful pop singers. Of course Lana is also a songwriter.

In Rihanna’s case for a decade after Umbrella all the female singers who weren’t aping Adele’s accent were imitating her tone.

by Anonymousreply 514June 21, 2023 12:39 PM

Mrs Miller

by Anonymousreply 515June 21, 2023 1:32 PM

Donna Summers

by Anonymousreply 516June 23, 2023 2:18 PM

Shirley Bassey. She has about a two-note vocal range, and she mistakes shouting for singing.

by Anonymousreply 517June 23, 2023 2:40 PM

Donna Summers had an awesome voice. She was uglier than sin but she had a huge range and most of her 70s stuff was cream.

by Anonymousreply 518June 23, 2023 2:55 PM

R517, R518 Donna Summer, for fuck's sake!

by Anonymousreply 519June 23, 2023 2:56 PM

Yes, tardo. WE know its Donna Summers.

by Anonymousreply 520June 23, 2023 2:58 PM

Donna’s voice I would say was very pretty, angelic high notes. Shirley Bassey is pure power, to me she sounds a lot like prime Judy Garland.

by Anonymousreply 521June 23, 2023 3:08 PM

Donna Summer is underrated.

by Anonymousreply 522June 23, 2023 3:09 PM

A good friend said Barbra is a great “technician”. She sings beautifully, but it lacks emotion.

by Anonymousreply 523June 23, 2023 3:11 PM

Donna Summers was awesome in the 70s. Her 80s stuff was mostly garbage.

by Anonymousreply 524June 23, 2023 3:11 PM

R508, I agree. I never liked Rod Stewart. That raspy voice sounds laryngitis.

by Anonymousreply 525June 23, 2023 3:15 PM

Rod Stewarts always had two litres of semen in his stomach. I'm sure than affected his singing. His poor girlfriends lol. Having to put up with him always burping up semen.

by Anonymousreply 526June 23, 2023 3:33 PM

Lea Michelles

by Anonymousreply 527June 23, 2023 3:56 PM

R527 gets it.

by Anonymousreply 528June 23, 2023 4:07 PM

Aretha. Though I did enjoy aerobing to the "Who's Zoomin' Who?" album in the '80s.

by Anonymousreply 529June 23, 2023 4:21 PM

I don't think Aretha is overrated at all. She was the most influential vocalist pre-Whitney.

by Anonymousreply 530June 28, 2023 12:13 PM

OP, if Barbra Streisand had died in 1970, you wouldn't be saying she's overrated.

by Anonymousreply 531June 28, 2023 12:19 PM

adele

by Anonymousreply 532June 28, 2023 12:30 PM

[Quote]Donna Summers was awesome in the 70s. Her 80s stuff was mostly garbage.

r524 It's "Donna Summer" NOT "Donna Summers". Got it, Dionne?!!

by Anonymousreply 533June 28, 2023 12:32 PM

[quote] On her duet with Donna Summer, Summer destroys her and really lets loose.

Uh, no, OP, not at all.

by Anonymousreply 534June 28, 2023 12:35 PM

R508 it worked in the faces, although they were just a B-grade version of the stones he was much more suited for that kind of music.

by Anonymousreply 535June 28, 2023 2:02 PM

[quote] adele

To me she’s an example of someone who sings without any real joy or passion. I’m not saying I’m correct about how she feels about singing, but she has never moved me in any way.

by Anonymousreply 536June 28, 2023 3:02 PM

She’s overwrought r536

by Anonymousreply 537June 28, 2023 3:48 PM

R536, it would help if there was some variation to her music and singing style. There are lesser singers who vary their voices more than she does.

by Anonymousreply 538June 28, 2023 3:52 PM

Christina Aguilera is maybe the most over-rated.

The most underrated is Tina Turner. While these contemporary singers lip-sync... some because they can't carry a tune and some because they are dancing and doing crazy gymnastics onstage and therefore can't catch enough breath to sing, Tina Turner could do it ALL and do it best She worked that stage like a trooper, danced like a mad woman, and she could still damn sing great. I saw her live throughout her career, starting with Ike Turner Revue in the early 1960s. She was nothing short of fucking AMAZING. She could do it ALL and do it GREAT. Love you, miss you Tina Turner. There will never be another Tina Turner. The look, the energy, the wanting, the tension, the raw sex. She was the gold standard.

by Anonymousreply 539June 29, 2023 7:42 AM

Get them out of the studio and away from the special vocal effects and see how they sound.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 540June 29, 2023 11:51 AM

OP, most experts in vocal artistry think just the opposite. Donna Summer herself thought Streisand the greatest voice she ever heard when she recorded their hit. Silly.

by Anonymousreply 541June 29, 2023 12:04 PM

Donna Summer said on a Merv Griffin show that she wanted her career to resemble a combination of Barbra Streisand and Katharine Hepburn's. Oh, well.

by Anonymousreply 542June 29, 2023 3:46 PM

R542, Summer had good taste in whom she aspired to emulate, but I'm not sure what kind of an actress she would have been.

by Anonymousreply 543June 29, 2023 5:37 PM

She wasn't emulating their work, R543, she actually thought it was possible to duplicate their CAREER PATHS - BOTH.

by Anonymousreply 544June 30, 2023 5:59 PM

I meant, R544, she wanted to emulate their careers, not them, hence my comment about whether she could act. My apologies if I wasn't clear.

by Anonymousreply 545June 30, 2023 6:32 PM

Mary J Blige. Another "great" singer with a horrendous tone. That AT&T commercial she did about 15 years ago was the worst.

by Anonymousreply 546June 30, 2023 6:36 PM

R546 She's always a quarter of a note flat.

by Anonymousreply 547June 30, 2023 6:41 PM

R547, is that it? That could be it. There is something about her voice that makes every note sound wrong. Whenever she warbles, I cringe.

by Anonymousreply 548June 30, 2023 7:31 PM

I had to Google this thread to retract my opinion at r301. I am watching George Michael's freedom documentary and got to the Freddie Mercury tribute concert.

Mea Culpa, I was terribly wrong George had an amazing and powerful voice and no one could have done as well on covering Somebody To love as he did. As good, if a bit different, as Freddie's version.

by Anonymousreply 549September 26, 2023 11:35 PM

Can someone explain why so many singers (especially female ones) sound so much more nasal live than in studio versions? Do they use "nasality filters" in the studio?

by Anonymousreply 550October 8, 2023 5:27 AM

Dinah Shore

by Anonymousreply 551October 8, 2023 5:54 AM

I'm serious about Dinah, she was the #1 fav vocalist (granted, a long time ago), but why? She was one of the worst pop singers I ever heard.

by Anonymousreply 552October 8, 2023 5:55 AM

ANYONE who thinks Barbra is overrated is too stupid to live. Listen to like her first 20 albums.

by Anonymousreply 553October 8, 2023 6:58 AM

R550, the vocal sound that carries the most is forward and bright. In a large space, you want that so people can hear you over the band or orchestra. In a studio, your vocals can be turned up. A lot of singers use a more intimate sound in the studio. Louder or brighter tone doesn’t usually carry any better in recordings.

by Anonymousreply 554October 8, 2023 12:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!