Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do gays REALLY care if a straight actor plays a gay character?

Bill Maher brought this up last night regarding Sean Penn and Tom Hanks. I get that black roles should go to black actors, etc, but I’ve never heard any gay men or lesbians complain about straight actors playing gay characters.

I do think it would be really funny if nonbinary people started complaining that nonbinary characters should only be played by nonbinary actors since nonbinary isn’t a real identity anyway.

by Anonymousreply 69August 19, 2022 12:01 PM

What's the point of acting? People need to stop with the crazy.

by Anonymousreply 1August 14, 2022 3:00 AM

Does anyone?

by Anonymousreply 2August 14, 2022 4:04 AM

I like it when a straight plays gay. Kind of hot.

by Anonymousreply 3August 14, 2022 4:07 AM

I don't. As long as the performance is decent.

by Anonymousreply 4August 14, 2022 4:44 AM

[quote]but I’ve never heard any gay men or lesbians complain about straight actors playing gay characters.

Plenty of gay and lesbian actors complain but they know better than to say it in print because implying that straight actors shouldn't play gay roles inadvertently implies that gay actors shouldn't play straight roles.

A few have been careful to say (the truth) that the real problem is: gay actors aren't treated the same as straight actors. It's not an even playing field. It starts in school and continues on their entire careers.

by Anonymousreply 5August 14, 2022 4:55 AM

Straight can play gay and vice versa. It's called acting. But as 5 says, the real problem is that gay actors are discriminated against in the industry.

by Anonymousreply 6August 14, 2022 5:24 AM

The only people that REALLY care are gay actors. Mostly underemployed gay actors on Twitter.

This is why the whole discourse about it is cynically disingenuous, because the question REALLY posed by those who complain is not why a straight actor was cast over a gay one, but rather: ‘Why wasn’t I - a skilled and amazing gay actor deserving of fame and adulation - cast?’

It’s narcissism reframed as social justice. And they’re the only ones who care. Most people aren’t invested enough to give a shit.

by Anonymousreply 7August 14, 2022 7:16 AM

It is the silly woke crowd that cares about it. Isn't that poor young fellow from the woke queer show Heartstoppers hiding that he is straight because the fanbase-woke straight girls would be pissed.

by Anonymousreply 8August 14, 2022 8:27 AM

Andrew Haigh cast one gay and one straight guy in 'Weekend'. Commenting on this topic, he said that while the straight guy (Tom Cullen) didn't have personal experience of being gay, there were plenty of other aspects of that character that he could relate to.

In other words, it's very limiting to assume that the most important characteristic of a gay character (for the actor or for the audience) will always be their sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 9August 14, 2022 8:35 AM

Straight actors tend to go overboard with the mannerisms and "act gay." Hanks and Penn didn't for the most part, which was why they were so good.

by Anonymousreply 10August 14, 2022 8:36 AM

I don’t care because it’s acting after all. Otherwise, it’s going to get old seeing the same handful of go-to gays like Ben Whishaw, NPH, et al.

by Anonymousreply 11August 14, 2022 8:54 AM

[quote]Andrew Haigh cast one gay and one straight guy in 'Weekend'. Commenting on this topic, he said that while the straight guy (Tom Cullen) didn't have personal experience of being gay, there were plenty of other aspects of that character that he could relate to.

And the result was the best gay film ever made. I think in good science a filmmaker has to consider gay and straight actors, or rather not exclude either; but the choice should be whomever fits the bill best.

by Anonymousreply 12August 14, 2022 10:48 AM

Hmmmm..... best ever is maybe a slight reach. A touching film though and two good performances at the centre of it.

by Anonymousreply 13August 14, 2022 12:12 PM

When straight actors were praised for their "bravery" for playing gay. That was really fucking irritating. And then they go on to win awards!

by Anonymousreply 14August 14, 2022 12:18 PM

Sadly Chris New gave up acting this year, he blamed his difficulties in getting roles on being openly gay, though he also claimed to have turned down some gay roles because he didn't want to keep doing the same thing (admirable, but perhaps beggars can't be choosers?).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 14, 2022 12:20 PM

Armie Hammer's forte in Cmbyn were love and sex scenes, he was good in them. He was otherwise wooden playing the scenes that had nothing to do with sexuality.

And young actor that is allegedly straight, who played the role of the prince was excellent, in sex and other scenes. Very talented kid.

And Gael Garcia Bernal in Almadovar Bad education playing a gay (for pay?) hustler. Smashing. Also Banderas in one of his older films.

So, I don't see any problem in straight actors playing gay if they can pull it of. It is their job after all.

by Anonymousreply 16August 14, 2022 12:32 PM

I have forgotten to write that the talented young Swedish actor played the prince in Netflix show Young Royals.

by Anonymousreply 17August 14, 2022 12:34 PM

The prolem is only with straight actor that can't hide how much they struggle to kiss a guy. Like young Michael Cimino from Love Victor. I like him, he is a sweet guy, but when he kisses the other guy he is instinctively trying to pull back and it is a pain to watch. Also, this nice young Kit Connor from asexual show Heartstoppers. He had only few chaste kisses with the other boy, without tongue, but he looked as if somebody was pointing gun at his head.

by Anonymousreply 18August 14, 2022 12:45 PM

No!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 14, 2022 12:51 PM

It's funny how people will complain up and down this site about actors bearding but people are mute when it comes to discrimination against out actors... Make it make sense.

by Anonymousreply 20August 14, 2022 12:54 PM

I like seeing gay guys get work, because lord knows Hollywood still doesn’t let out gay actors play heterosexual romcom leads or blockbuster superheroes, but I have no issue with straights playing gay. We’ve got a long way to go with gays being allowed to play straight, though. Hallmark Christmas movies notwithstanding.

by Anonymousreply 21August 14, 2022 12:55 PM

R15, did Chris New actually give up acting? (I couldn't find any reports to confirm and I certainly hope it's not true.) What a pity if he did. I know he worked in theatre in London and to good reviews, and Kickstarter-ed a film on his own and taught acting, but indeed he had few big film roles that garnered much publicity after Weekend. He was extraordinarily good in that film and I would have liked to see him as much good work as he would want to take on.

by Anonymousreply 22August 14, 2022 12:58 PM

You should have an issue with it. It just leads to str8 self-congratulation. There's an implicit "Don't worry, your fave is still one of you. Continue to flick yourb bean."

by Anonymousreply 23August 14, 2022 12:59 PM

[Quote] He was extraordinarily good in that film and I would have liked to see him as much good work as he would want to take on.

And that's no coincidence. Out actors are shown by the industry that they are perceived as worthless or at least of lesser value. That's fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 24August 14, 2022 1:00 PM

I don't care as long as the actor fits the role. Also I would be put off by a homophobic actor playing a gay role as a PR stunt to get an award or to earn points with the gay audience. Race seems to be off the table, blacks should play black etc. There are too many nuances in acting and movies to just simply say that a certain category of actor should play a certain role. But there are boundaries that should be observed.

by Anonymousreply 25August 14, 2022 1:05 PM

Of course not! That's why it's caled ACTING. No one cared that Rock Hudson did romantic comedies, or that Derek Jacobi plays straight characters, neither does the knowledge that they are/were gay impact their performance. Memorable straight playing gay performances, Albert Molina and John Lithgow in Love is Strange.

by Anonymousreply 26August 14, 2022 1:08 PM

^^^ Alfred, not Albert

by Anonymousreply 27August 14, 2022 1:09 PM

Rock Hudson wasn't out, dummy.

by Anonymousreply 28August 14, 2022 1:09 PM

OP- Tom Hanks is a CLOSETED Gay Actor who pretends to be a straight actor playing a gay character.

by Anonymousreply 29August 14, 2022 1:11 PM

Is that why he invited Ariana Grande for Charades? He wanted to hear her divoon whistle tone?

by Anonymousreply 30August 14, 2022 1:12 PM

R28 Oh, you want the elementary school. It's two blocks further down.

by Anonymousreply 31August 14, 2022 1:12 PM

But enough about your "dating" life, r31.

by Anonymousreply 32August 14, 2022 1:14 PM

R31- maybe people in Hollywood knew Rock was gay, but Ethel from Peoria watching him onscreen didn’t. He wasn’t “out”.

by Anonymousreply 33August 14, 2022 1:15 PM

R32 You remember what the word "date" means?

by Anonymousreply 34August 14, 2022 1:17 PM

[Quote] You remember what the word "date" means?

If you choke on the sheet cake you devour today, and expire, I'll remember the date...

by Anonymousreply 35August 14, 2022 1:21 PM

If a gay person has the right chemistry/look/whatever for the gay character, they should be considered first. This is especially true for romantic and sexual scenes between men because straight men often hesitate and it shows in their performance.

Next time you're watching straight men trying to engage in intimate behavior in a movie/show, notice how many cuts at varying camera angles there are. Most times even the best editing can't capture the moment if it isn't authentic.

by Anonymousreply 36August 14, 2022 1:22 PM

I'd say R35 is pretending to be stupid, but we both know he's not.

by Anonymousreply 37August 14, 2022 1:22 PM

A number of productions seem to be splitting the difference in recent years by having one half of the central couple be played by a gay actor, and the other half by a het, e.g. Weekend, Looking, A Very British Scandal, Heartstopper, Young Royals.

by Anonymousreply 38August 14, 2022 1:24 PM

R22, afraid so, he announced it on his Instagram. Seemed pretty disillusioned with the acting world. It's cute that Tom C is still his mate and was sending him supportive comments.

I wonder what someone like that does for a living now? 40 years old, doesn't come from money, doesn't seem to have significant experience in any other field. Perhaps he will build on the teaching work but does that start to dry up if it's been a long time since your last role?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 14, 2022 1:25 PM

He'll probaly teach at his alma mater, RADA.

by Anonymousreply 40August 14, 2022 1:26 PM

Anyway my own humble opinion is that the best acting performance I've seen in a gay role comes from the straight Josh O'Connor in 'God's Own Country' - he totally transformed himself for the role in terms of accent, body language, posture, and on top of that manages to pull off a real and convincing evolution in his character, particularly when it came to his acting in the intimate scenes (inhibited, mechanical and semi-violent at the beginning, to slowly becoming more tender and open as the character grew).

by Anonymousreply 41August 14, 2022 1:29 PM

I really couldn't care less - it's called acting. Someone's sexual orientation in real life has no bearing on the characters they play, unless they're positively mincing in every scene.

I did however take umbrage at the creators of How I Met Your Mother expecting audiences to believe that NPH was a total pussyhound. Not because he's gay but because he's a wizened little gnome that I have trouble believing women would find attractive.

by Anonymousreply 42August 14, 2022 1:29 PM

[Quote] Someone's sexual orientation in real life has no bearing on the characters they play,

Chris New's experience says otherwise, but hey, what would he know compared to you...

by Anonymousreply 43August 14, 2022 1:31 PM

There are quite a number of foreign films where hets play gays with a considerable about of honesty and authenticity during the intimacy scenes. Off the top of my head: Rialto, La Dea Fortuna (Ferzan Ozpetek's latest), Sorry Angel (though I suspect Pierre Deladonchamps), Contracorriente, Dear Ex.

by Anonymousreply 44August 14, 2022 1:35 PM

^^^ considerable AMOUNT of

by Anonymousreply 45August 14, 2022 1:35 PM

It’s pretty fucked up because of Hollywood’s homophobia. Most of the most well-known gay roles are played by straights/closet cases.

How is it possible that the gay leads are all straight (or closeted)? Because Hollywood is homophobic and is intentionally casting them and in turn punishing openly gay actors.

by Anonymousreply 46August 14, 2022 1:36 PM

All actors are a bit poofy.

by Anonymousreply 47August 14, 2022 1:37 PM

Straight actors playing gay characters doesn't seem to curb their homophobia either, which is strange because you would think they would have better understanding after the experience, it took bloatface Matt Damon 20 years to stop saying f*ggot, after his role in The Talented Mr. Ripley.

by Anonymousreply 48August 14, 2022 1:40 PM

R42

But it actually does matter when you’re an openly gay actor. They’re being boxed out for coming out. Openly gay actors like Garrett Clayton and Colton Haynes already spilled the tea. Hollywood is still very homophobic and hasn’t changed much.

by Anonymousreply 49August 14, 2022 1:42 PM

As a gay man, I don’t give two fucks if straights play gay or gays play straight. Whoever is right for the role. It is “acting”. Some people just need something to be outraged about.

by Anonymousreply 50August 14, 2022 1:46 PM

But it's not an even playing field, hon.

by Anonymousreply 51August 14, 2022 1:47 PM

R15, It's sad that he quit, he had much potential. I would have like to have seen him in more films, even if he has only being offered gay roles, that's better than nothing.

by Anonymousreply 52August 14, 2022 1:51 PM

R52 Yeah, I mean, surely in acting the main thing is to be regularly working. I'm not sure that his diagnosis of his career difficulties shouldn't be taken with a little pinch of salt (I do agree that he was talented and is a loss to the industry).

by Anonymousreply 53August 14, 2022 1:53 PM

Most gay centric works - plays, low budget movies etc. are shit. I don't blame New for not being content to subsist on scraps.

by Anonymousreply 54August 14, 2022 1:56 PM

Augie Prew had his own CBS show. He brought his (now) husband to the red carpet. The show lasted a season. The only roles Prew could get in the aftermath were the gay assistant on The Jennifer Aniston Programme and some gay indies.

These out actors aren't lying about the discrimination they face. DL is the wrong place to talk about it, of course.

by Anonymousreply 55August 14, 2022 1:58 PM

Thank you, R50, my sentiments precisely.

Maybe some of the gay actors whining about being boxed out just aren't very good actors. Let's face it, Garrett Clayton was never going to win an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 56August 14, 2022 2:00 PM

Yet another DL thread ends up on RT

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57August 14, 2022 2:01 PM

[Quote] Maybe some of the gay actors whining about being boxed out just aren't very good actors. Let's face it, Garrett Clayton was never going to win an Oscar.

Way to miss the point. Gary was booked. He was considered employable while closeted, and much less so when out. That's homophobia. But one shouldn't expect DLers to give a shit.

by Anonymousreply 58August 14, 2022 2:03 PM

R41 Right, in God's own country both Josh O'Connor and the Romanian actor, I forgot his name, had great performances and some of the best gay love scenes and they are both straight.

by Anonymousreply 59August 14, 2022 2:04 PM

And you're praising them for it. Typical.

by Anonymousreply 60August 14, 2022 2:07 PM

Why wouldn't I praised them R60, they were excelent?

by Anonymousreply 61August 14, 2022 2:10 PM

You're praising them for "authenticity" while being straight (or "straight). The het element is bound up in the praise. But you can't even see it, and how fucked up that is.

by Anonymousreply 62August 14, 2022 2:13 PM

This is not the hill to die on. Keep it up and gay actors will ONLY play gay characters.

by Anonymousreply 63August 14, 2022 2:22 PM

Out actors mostly do only get to play gay characters. And the "know your place, it could be worse" messaging is not appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 64August 14, 2022 2:44 PM

Are we starting to see that shift a little though? I think Luke Evans' casting as macho, womanising Gaston in Disney's 'Beauty and the Beast' is an example of a pretty 'straight' role a gay actor is now getting: any similar examples?

by Anonymousreply 65August 14, 2022 2:49 PM

R62 I praise Rock Hudson for his straight romantic roles, too. Now that we know he was gay, we still can't notice that in his roles. He had more chemistry with Liz Taylor than Richard Burton did.

by Anonymousreply 66August 14, 2022 3:01 PM

If the straight casting is done merely and obviously for greed, yes I'd have a problem with it. There are so many jobs out there that go to the dominant default straight white actors. Otoh you can go overboard as with Bridgerton and The Sandman.

by Anonymousreply 67August 14, 2022 7:02 PM

Why should it be a problem if a straight actor is playing gay. Richard Madden was excellent when he was kissing Taron Egerton and rolling in bed with him in Rocketman.

by Anonymousreply 68August 19, 2022 9:32 AM

R68 is right.

On a related note, Jake Gyllenhaal was heartbreaking as Jack in Brokeback Mountain. Even though he’s definitely not gay he played a closeted gay man very well.

by Anonymousreply 69August 19, 2022 12:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!