Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tom Hanks Does NOT Support Straight Playing Gay

“Can a straight man do what I did Philadelphia Currently? “No, and rightfully so,” Tom Hanks said.

"The bottom line of Philadelphia do not worry. One of the reasons people aren’t afraid of this movie is that I was playing a gay guy. We’re over that now, and I don’t think people will accept the falsity of a straight guy playing a gay guy. It’s not a crime, and it’s not boho, for someone to say we’re going to demand more of a movie in the modern world of authenticity. Do I look like I’m preaching? I do not mean that “.

by Anonymousreply 153August 4, 2022 3:11 PM

Faggot.

by Anonymousreply 1June 15, 2022 12:46 AM

She doth protest too much.

by Anonymousreply 2June 15, 2022 12:47 AM

Relax, Tom. Straights can play gays and gays can play straight. It’s called acting.

by Anonymousreply 3June 15, 2022 12:55 AM

I agree r3. I have no problem with straight actors playing gay.

by Anonymousreply 4June 15, 2022 12:56 AM

How about we get pissed at the agents/managers/studios that keep their stars closeted instead because they think out gay can’t play straight!!

by Anonymousreply 5June 15, 2022 12:58 AM

[quote] I have no problem with straight actors playing gay.

Gay actors say playing gay is NOT a costume you put on and off

by Anonymousreply 6June 15, 2022 12:58 AM

How woke of him.

by Anonymousreply 7June 15, 2022 12:58 AM

r6 it's called "acting" And many gay actors are fine with straight actors playing gay.

by Anonymousreply 8June 15, 2022 12:59 AM

R8 not anymore

by Anonymousreply 9June 15, 2022 1:00 AM

r9 you don't know what you're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 10June 15, 2022 1:00 AM

I want Scarlett Johansson to play all the gay men’s roles. Preferably the Asian ones.

by Anonymousreply 11June 15, 2022 1:00 AM

[quote] you don't know what you're talking about.

Please link or quote an OPENLY gay actor who is fine with a straight actor playing a gay part in 2022

by Anonymousreply 12June 15, 2022 1:03 AM

r12 most people in the business are fine with it. Of course not every role being played by a straight actor but here and there it's fine, esp. an historical role.

by Anonymousreply 13June 15, 2022 1:05 AM

I watched The Secrets of Dumbledore yesterday, and I have never been so offended in all my life. All of those muggle actors playing Wizards. A fatally toxic level of appropriation.

Eddie Remain, Jude Law, Mads Mikkelson, A Fine Frenzy, and so many others putting on Wizard costumes.

I don't care about straight actors playing gay roles, they are actors. It isn't the same as blackface. At least we have moved past the point where that is considered "brave" because it is a possible career ender.

I agree with R5, fuck all the people in the industry that continue to push mainstream actors to stay in the closet, and punish them if they do come out by relegating them to smaller roles, and dumping them into Indies, or only casting them in gay roles. That is the real problem, and when I see an out gay man consistently playing leading roles in blockbusters, I will consider that the real progress.

by Anonymousreply 14June 15, 2022 1:07 AM

Not many openly gay actors would want to limit themselves playing strictly gay roles. How boring.

by Anonymousreply 15June 15, 2022 1:08 AM

R12 So are they in turn saying they can’t play a straight role ever??

by Anonymousreply 16June 15, 2022 1:08 AM

[quote] . It isn't the same as blackface.

What about a hearing actor playing someone deaf or mute - when we have tons of Deaf Actors out there?

Are you fine with a hearing person playing deaf?

by Anonymousreply 17June 15, 2022 1:09 AM

[quote] So are they in turn saying they can’t play a straight role ever??

Wentworth Miller announced he will ONLY play gay characters from now on. More and more gay actors are following his lead,.

by Anonymousreply 18June 15, 2022 1:10 AM

Relax, it's acting so it's fine. But, closeted actors (and the rest) should be outed. And I mean outed. I no longer have sympathy for hypocrites.

by Anonymousreply 19June 15, 2022 1:12 AM

[quote]Wentworth Miller announced he will ONLY play gay characters from now on.

He has no upcoming projects on IMDB. Nothing beyond 2021.

by Anonymousreply 20June 15, 2022 1:12 AM

[quote]I agree with [R5], fuck all the people in the industry that continue to push mainstream actors to stay in the closet, and punish them if they do come out by relegating them to smaller roles, and dumping them into Indies, or only casting them in gay roles. That is the real problem, and when I see an out gay man consistently playing leading roles in blockbusters, I will consider that the real progress.

This is why so many of them stay in the closet. Leo Dicaprio and Chris Pine are two good examples.

by Anonymousreply 21June 15, 2022 1:15 AM

[quote]Not many openly gay actors would want to limit themselves playing strictly gay roles. How boring.

A lot of openly gay actors can't play straight to save their lives.

Andrew Rannells being one example.

by Anonymousreply 22June 15, 2022 1:16 AM

What is going to end up happening is that no big gay movies will be made because big straight stars won't be in them and therefore help them get greenlit.

by Anonymousreply 23June 15, 2022 1:17 AM

Tuc Watkins is one example of an openly gay actor who can and does play straight roles.

by Anonymousreply 24June 15, 2022 1:18 AM

[quote] It’s not a crime, and it’s not boho...

Boho?

by Anonymousreply 25June 15, 2022 1:22 AM

What about gay playing straight?

by Anonymousreply 26June 15, 2022 2:08 AM

R5 they keep them closeted due to money. Straight audiences are the largest.

Straights want celebs they can crush on and who reflect their own lives.

by Anonymousreply 27June 15, 2022 2:14 AM

[quote] Please link or quote an OPENLY gay actor who is fine with a straight actor playing a gay part in 2022

I'm an openly gay writer/director and I am more than okay with a straight person playing a gay character I create. If it doesn't bother me, then it shouldn't bother straight actors.

by Anonymousreply 28June 15, 2022 2:19 AM

What’s going to happen is casting directors will hire closet/glass closet actors who the industry know are lgbt for lgbt roles, so if you see a actor in a recent lgbt role she/he are actually lgbt.

by Anonymousreply 29June 15, 2022 2:21 AM

[quote]Straights want celebs they can crush on and who reflect their own lives.

In the current Hugh Jackman thread a poster wrote how he saw Jackman outside the theater after a show and his fans were there waiting for him. The fans were all middle-aged fraus, and there were a LOT of them. The poster said when he saw that, he no longer wondered why Jackman stays closeted. His entire career depends on it.

by Anonymousreply 30June 15, 2022 2:22 AM

Dad, you weren't a strong male role model for me, and I don't find it very convincing when you play straight characters. Truth.

by Anonymousreply 31June 15, 2022 2:23 AM

Tom is breathing rarefied air, so he obviously knows what's best for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 32June 15, 2022 2:39 AM

Hanks HAS to say this. He is a straight guy who played a gay guy in a movie, and is currently living in an age that is ultra-sensitive to cultural appropriation.

by Anonymousreply 33June 15, 2022 2:56 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 15, 2022 3:01 AM

If Tom thinks Austin Butler has never been gay he is out of his mind.. How does Tom feel about GAYS playing STRAIGHT? Seacrest does it every day....LoL

by Anonymousreply 35June 15, 2022 3:21 AM

and I'm for murderers NOT playing murderers

by Anonymousreply 36June 15, 2022 3:34 AM

What about normal people playing spaz, Tom?

by Anonymousreply 37June 15, 2022 3:36 AM

Gay actor here. No problem with straight actors playing gay roles.

by Anonymousreply 38June 15, 2022 3:41 AM

OP- Tom Hanks in Philadelphia was NOT straight playing gay- he was GAY playing GAY

Tom Hanks is gay.

by Anonymousreply 39June 15, 2022 3:43 AM

I find some of these soapbox rants about straight people playing gays and lesbians to be tiresome at this point. On a related note, I listened to a podcast where a group of lesbians did a review of Clea DuVall's movie Happiest Season and one person bitched quite a bit about how Clea wrote the screenplay with a straight female friend instead of seeking out another lesbian filmmaker or writer for the movie. I thought it was ridiculous as fuck, DuVall can pick whoever the fuck she wants write movies with.

by Anonymousreply 40June 15, 2022 4:04 AM

r40 this kind of thing is reaching ridiculous levels. Clea Duvall can collaborate with whoever the fuck she wants, and so can anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 41June 15, 2022 4:17 AM

R39 moreover he was playing victim

by Anonymousreply 42June 15, 2022 4:33 AM

R41 R40 here I agree, it's reaching ridiculous levels. DuVall might have had a good reason to collaborate with a straight friend. Maybe, the friend was the only one available to work with her or whatever or they had similar ideas for subplots. From listening to that podcast, I got the vibe the reviewers just don't get that some screenwriters and filmmakers tend to collaborate with friends quite a bit regardless if the friend has a different life experience than them.

by Anonymousreply 43June 15, 2022 4:49 AM

What’s next? Only actors with bipolar disorder and depression should play characters with bipolar disorder and depression?

by Anonymousreply 44June 15, 2022 5:56 AM

[quote]Are you fine with a hearing person playing deaf?

Sure. It got me an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 45June 15, 2022 6:02 AM

R37- Uh Uh Uh Uh uh...Can't say SPAZ anymore!

by Anonymousreply 46June 15, 2022 6:14 AM

[quote]R24 Tuc Watkins is one example of an openly gay actor who can and does play straight roles.

Surely he belongs in the “parents who give their kids annoying names” thread.

by Anonymousreply 47June 15, 2022 6:27 AM

[quote]R28 If it doesn't bother me, then it shouldn't bother straight actors.

How democratic.

by Anonymousreply 48June 15, 2022 6:28 AM

r47 = Neil Patrick Harris

by Anonymousreply 49June 15, 2022 6:39 AM

Besides the hands shaking, TH looks really thin lately.

by Anonymousreply 50June 15, 2022 6:40 AM

Tom Hanks drank away the 2nd part of his career. Pity.

by Anonymousreply 51June 15, 2022 6:50 AM

This fucking gas bag. First he writes a NYT column about the Tulsa Race Riots and now he's sounding off about gay people. No one asked for your fucking opinion Tom! Why don't you spend less time being the spokesperson for decency and more time parenting that PoS man-child chet?

by Anonymousreply 52June 15, 2022 6:54 AM

Textbook Boomer Entitlement.

"It was groundbreaking and wonderful when I did it, plus it majorly helped my career, but it would be wrong to give an actor that opportunity nowadays."

by Anonymousreply 53June 15, 2022 6:56 AM

Chet is the only Hanks for me.

by Anonymousreply 54June 15, 2022 6:56 AM

Chet is a massive loser and even he wouldn't fuck you, Defuckto. Go away

by Anonymousreply 55June 15, 2022 6:59 AM

The chickenshit bitchy bottom who hides behind "Anonymous" to diss people on the internet cannot call other people "loser."

by Anonymousreply 56June 15, 2022 7:00 AM

R56 Shut it obese aztec bottom defatturd!

by Anonymousreply 57June 15, 2022 7:11 AM

R30 Most of Matt Bomer’s fans are middle age fraus and they know he is gay. They crush on him anyway and even embrace his husband Simon. They also wait outside theater doors and there are a lot of them.

by Anonymousreply 58June 15, 2022 7:24 AM

I can’t even imagine Brokeback Mountain starring anyone other than Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal. Who else could have done that? Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Neil Patrick Harris? God, what a bore that would be.

And for some reason, I can’t picture Kal Penn (who I’ve had a stupid huge crush on forever) kissing a guy in a movie. I’d rather see him play a straight guy.

I’m all for straights playing gay and vice versa.

by Anonymousreply 59June 15, 2022 8:22 AM

[quote] I can’t even imagine Brokeback Mountain starring anyone other than Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal.

I can

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60June 15, 2022 9:11 AM

[quote]And for some reason, I can’t picture Kal Penn (who I’ve had a stupid huge crush on forever) kissing a guy in a movie. I’d rather see him play a straight guy.

[quote] I’m all for straights playing gay and vice versa.

Yeah, I would rather see Kal Penn playing a straight guy. I do like him.

Tig Notaro's wife Stephanie Allynne seems like she'd be better off playing straight women. Whenever she plays lesbians, it always seems off. A friend of mine has seen Allynne perform with her Wild Horses improv group in LA several times and she describes their comedy as being very straight woman type material.

by Anonymousreply 61June 15, 2022 4:08 PM

[quote]R59 I can’t even imagine Brokeback Mountain starring anyone other than Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal. Who else could have done that? Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Neil Patrick Harris?

It was first offered to Johnny Depp.

Maybe he was too drunk.

by Anonymousreply 62June 15, 2022 6:30 PM

Does he support white sons playing Black?

by Anonymousreply 63June 15, 2022 7:07 PM

Thats really rich considering his role as a gay man that made him famous, only a stupid hollywood idiot would say something like that

by Anonymousreply 64June 15, 2022 8:03 PM

Which role Brokeback Mountain role was Depp offered?

by Anonymousreply 65June 15, 2022 8:04 PM

Well of course the self-loathers of DL would oppose this. They'd rather no openly gay man ever gets cast in anything.

by Anonymousreply 66June 15, 2022 8:09 PM

Nobody said that r66. Just that straight actors should be able to play gay roles if they're suited for it.

by Anonymousreply 67June 15, 2022 8:11 PM

r67 Why should they when the reverse isn't true?

by Anonymousreply 68June 15, 2022 8:12 PM

r68 gay actors play straight roles. Neil Patrick Harris, David Hyde Pierce among others. If you're talking about romantic leads and action heroes, no we're not there yet. And that also has a lot to do with foreign markets.

by Anonymousreply 69June 15, 2022 8:14 PM

r69 Oh wow, all of two examples from over a decade ago. What a stellar sign of equality. But go on, keep simping for the straights.

by Anonymousreply 70June 15, 2022 8:16 PM

r70 you're obnoxious. Again, nobody said straight actors should always play gay roles. Just that it's called "acting" for a reason. Benedict Cumberbatch, for example, was excellent in Power of the Dog. He deserved that role. I couldn't see Matt Bomer in it.

Your black and white thinking is endemic today and it's a detriment to rational thought and argument.

by Anonymousreply 71June 15, 2022 8:21 PM

R64- are you talking about Tom Hanks? He was a star way before Philadelphia.

by Anonymousreply 72June 15, 2022 8:27 PM

r71 Because, of course, Matt Bomer is the only openly gay actor. You're a fucking moron.

by Anonymousreply 73June 15, 2022 8:34 PM

r73 it's just an example. God, you're dense. Grow up. Having gay roles only played by gay actors is authoritarian nonsense. But of course that's fashionable among so-called liberals now. And I'm a liberal, just an old-school one.

by Anonymousreply 74June 15, 2022 8:36 PM

I remember the joke that if an actor wanted an Oscar they should either play a disabled person or a gay person. Tom clearly did both for his Oscars lol.

by Anonymousreply 75June 15, 2022 8:36 PM

[quote]Having gay roles only played by gay actors is authoritarian nonsense

The mind-blowing stupidity

by Anonymousreply 76June 15, 2022 9:36 PM

Stupid r76? Having gay roles only assigned to gay actors is authoritarian.

by Anonymousreply 77June 15, 2022 10:05 PM

You can keep repeating it, doesn't make it any less stupid

by Anonymousreply 78June 15, 2022 10:13 PM

So only gay actors should play gay roles? That's idiotic.

by Anonymousreply 79June 15, 2022 10:15 PM

Gay actors don’t want to be limited to playing gay roles. There are far fewer movies with gay roles, especially leading roles.

Also closeted gay men have played credible romantic leads for many years. Rock Hudson, Monty Cliff, etc.

by Anonymousreply 80June 15, 2022 10:16 PM

[quote] They'd rather no openly gay man ever gets cast in anything.

Please reference these posts.

by Anonymousreply 81June 15, 2022 10:17 PM

[quote]Gay actors don’t want to be limited to playing gay roles.

Many aren't, things have changed a lot.

by Anonymousreply 82June 15, 2022 10:17 PM

[quote]Gay actors don’t want to be limited to playing gay roles.

Who said they should be limited to gay roles? But until they actually do start casting based on ability and suitability, as opposed to appeasing homophobes in flyover states, why shouldn't gay actors have the right to play roles that the 'won't play in the midwest' excuse can't be applied to?

Not to mention the fact that the main reason straight actors want to play gay is for the Oscar and the 'you're so brave' bullshit, which is deeply patronising and insulting.

by Anonymousreply 83June 15, 2022 10:21 PM

[quote]But until they actually do start casting based on ability and suitability, as opposed to appeasing homophobes in flyover states, why shouldn't gay actors have the right to play roles that the 'won't play in the midwest' excuse can't be applied to?

It's mostly foreign markets. Jesus fuck, Asians don't even like watching black actors. It sucks, but Hollywood is a business.

[quote]Not to mention the fact that the main reason straight actors want to play gay is for the Oscar and the 'you're so brave' bullshit, which is deeply patronising and insulting.

Um, hi. It's not 1995 anymore. Straight actors just play gay roles now and it's not "brave" anymore.

by Anonymousreply 84June 15, 2022 10:30 PM

No won should have a “right” to play any role.

by Anonymousreply 85June 15, 2022 10:36 PM

[quote]Um, hi. It's not 1995 anymore. Straight actors just play gay roles now and it's not "brave" anymore.

Because Hollywood is totally free of homophobia, racism and misogyny now, right? Fuckwit.

by Anonymousreply 86June 15, 2022 10:39 PM

[quote]I wouldn't have played a gay man in "Philadelphia" but at that time all the gays were dead.

by Anonymousreply 87June 15, 2022 10:47 PM

I fucking hate this “only gay actors can play gay characters” mentality. It should be about who’s best for the role, nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 88June 15, 2022 11:01 PM

[quote]Straights want celebs they can crush on

But they're oblivious to the fact that a lot of those stars they admire so much are closet cases.

by Anonymousreply 89June 15, 2022 11:11 PM

R88 = Should Dustin Hoffman have played Martin Luther King?

by Anonymousreply 90June 15, 2022 11:28 PM

No, R90. He’s obviously not best for the part.

My post is just my opinion. You’re entitled to your own.

by Anonymousreply 91June 15, 2022 11:31 PM

[quote]Because Hollywood is totally free of homophobia, racism and misogyny now, right? Fuckwit.

Jesus, you're just making up shit as you go along. Nobody said that. It is true that a straight actor playing a gay role is not a big deal anymore. I'm old enough to remember when it was a real risk, but thankfully those days are long over.

by Anonymousreply 92June 15, 2022 11:37 PM

[quote]But they're oblivious to the fact that a lot of those stars they admire so much are closet cases.

It's amazing how clueless straights can be. They still think Leonardo Dicaprio and Hugh Jackman are straight.

by Anonymousreply 93June 15, 2022 11:38 PM

I guess he doesn't have a problem with playing a retard in Forrest Gump. Or a crossdresser in Bosom Buddies, or a pilot, a ship Captain, an astronaut...

by Anonymousreply 94June 15, 2022 11:40 PM

Exactly, R94. It's absurd.

by Anonymousreply 95June 16, 2022 12:17 AM

I'll second that R45

by Anonymousreply 96June 16, 2022 1:44 AM

I'm surprised members of the deaf community haven't dragged the late Patty Duke and Jane Wyman for those roles. When I was in college, I took a sociology course in which a section of the course was on how society treats people with disabilities. One the readings mentioned how in the late 70s, the deaf community was pissed when the movie Voices was made because Amy Irving played a deaf character and there were boycotts against the movie. Voices was a total flop, but for a long time it was one of those movies that aired frequently on cable movie channels for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 97June 16, 2022 2:45 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98June 16, 2022 2:52 AM

I was wondering too. Parkinson's?

by Anonymousreply 99June 16, 2022 2:55 AM

Hanks is only 65? I thought he was in his early 70s.

by Anonymousreply 100June 16, 2022 2:56 AM

Maybe Chet will be issuing another of his shirtless updates on his parents' health.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101June 16, 2022 3:56 AM

Funny how Chet looks nothing like Tom or Rita.

by Anonymousreply 102June 16, 2022 3:58 AM

[quote]I have no problem with straight actors playing gay.

Remember when straight actors were going out of their way to describe how disgusting kissing a man was to them and how much will power it took to play gay?

by Anonymousreply 103June 16, 2022 1:33 PM

[quote]We’re over that now, and I don’t think people will accept the falsity of a straight guy playing a gay guy."

Why not? If he's a good enough actor.

[quote]"It’s not a crime, and it’s not boho, for someone to say we’re going to demand more of a movie in the modern world of authenticity. Do I look like I’m preaching? I do not mean that."

Sounds like Hanks drank the Kool-Aid and is spouting woke word salad. It makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 104June 16, 2022 1:39 PM

Although I agree the quality of the acting is the most important factor, it does get annoying when straight actors play gay roles in ways that aren't at all convincing. Having a character say he's gay and then engaging in a bit of awkward kissing isn't good enough and we get a lot of that in the media.

by Anonymousreply 105June 16, 2022 2:04 PM

All that should matter is whether an actor is convincing in the role. They shouldn't have to be (in real life) exactly like the character and in fact, that is the opposite of what acting is about: pretending to be somebody you are not.

by Anonymousreply 106June 16, 2022 2:43 PM

If only straight can play straight and only gay can play gay, then gay actors are going to be screwed. No pun intended. I'm saying that gay actors and actresses will have very limited choices. Unless they never reveal what their sexuality is.

Does anyone else think that Tom Hanks is not straight? I think he might be bisexual....

by Anonymousreply 107June 16, 2022 2:59 PM

Tom, you are so craven and ridiculous.

Please see Javier Bardem for a real actor playing a gay man.

So do we get rid of that twink who plays Anthony Bridgerton all the fraus and high school girls are swooning over?

by Anonymousreply 108June 16, 2022 3:07 PM

r107 Gay actors are already screwed. They do not get a fair shot at roles. So until that's corrected, why shouldn't they at least be given a chance to work in gay roles, where the arguments made against gay actors (won't play in certain markets, not believable, etc) aren't applicable?

by Anonymousreply 109June 16, 2022 3:08 PM

^^^ No. Creating an uneven playing field does not correct past errors. That's just illogical and does not work.

Unless all you care about is more jobs for a certain class of people rather than the quality of the field.

by Anonymousreply 110June 16, 2022 3:13 PM

r110 Because gay actors are automatically worse than straight actors?

by Anonymousreply 111June 16, 2022 3:14 PM

And by the way, they aren't past errors. It's going on right now.

by Anonymousreply 112June 16, 2022 3:14 PM

Only transwomyn of color can play any role.

by Anonymousreply 113June 16, 2022 3:16 PM

"Falsity...." it's not falsity, it's acting. I hate this pigeon holed casting idea. Does he pander or does he really buy into it?

by Anonymousreply 114June 16, 2022 3:23 PM

Pandering.

Hey, a guy always needs another $20 million dollar pay day.

by Anonymousreply 115June 16, 2022 3:26 PM

R109 Gay actors are given a chance to play gay roles. They just don’t just automatically get them.

by Anonymousreply 116June 16, 2022 3:58 PM

Suck my dick so I can tell you how gay you really are!

by Anonymousreply 117June 16, 2022 4:05 PM

Tom Hanks did an amazing job in Philadelphia. It wasn't as brave as being an out gay man, but it was still brave for him to take that role and perform it so well. We seem to forget that 98% or the world is straight and that the support and protection that we have from any of them could easily go away. He was being an example for other straight men. He showed his straight fans that anyone could hypothetically be gay. He and many other straight men in Hollywood and DC have helped our movement as great allies.

by Anonymousreply 118June 16, 2022 4:24 PM

The problem with this is, as any actor with training will tell you, you can’t play gay. How do you play “gay”? Limp wrist, lisp and swish? I wish creative people would stop this nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 119June 16, 2022 4:30 PM

Did Colin Firth play "gay"? Or was he just an actor playing a man who happened to be gay?

Gay is not a performance.

by Anonymousreply 120June 16, 2022 4:36 PM

[quote]No won should have a “right” to play any role.

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 121June 16, 2022 4:54 PM

[quote] the deaf community was pissed when the movie Voices was made because Amy Irving played a deaf character and there were boycotts against the movie.

I wonder how they heard about the boycott.

by Anonymousreply 122June 16, 2022 4:55 PM

As so many have said, this kind of thinking won't help anyone. If you're an actor you should be able to play any roll. Reserving straight rolls for straight people, gay rolls for gay people - it's ridiculous and his idiotic virtue signalling is annoying.

by Anonymousreply 123June 16, 2022 4:57 PM

Ton Hanks is a virtue signaling fraud. Marsha P Johnson needed the work but did Tom care?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124June 16, 2022 5:46 PM

r123 You're an idiot

by Anonymousreply 125June 16, 2022 6:30 PM

[quote]gay rolls for gay people -

I always called these baguettes.

by Anonymousreply 126June 16, 2022 9:57 PM

R58 what theaters? and how would YOU know?

by Anonymousreply 127June 17, 2022 3:45 AM

This whole "only gay actors should play gay characters" is rubbish. To me it's far more important that gay stories get told and we're represented regardless of who plays the roles. I know it may be shocking to some but actors are not the characters they play. Putting aside the homophobia in Hollywood that still scares a lot of gay actors into remaining closeted, the reason why straight actors are cast in gay roles is because investors and studios want names in lead roles to be better the odds that their investment will turn a healthy profit. Most so-called "A-list" actors are straight (or at least publicly identify as straight). By saying only gay actors can play gay roles, does that not exclude gay actors from playing straight?

by Anonymousreply 128June 17, 2022 4:11 AM

R127 Boys In The Band. I was there after one performance and their are many fan photos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129June 17, 2022 4:46 AM

OP was Tom Hanks a top or bottom in Philadelphia? I was never certain

by Anonymousreply 130June 17, 2022 5:19 AM

so, you're a middle age frau fan R58 @ R129 ?

by Anonymousreply 131June 17, 2022 5:21 AM

Ah no - but I saw a lot of them outside the theater. Why do you care? The point is an openly gay actor still has female fans, right?

by Anonymousreply 132June 17, 2022 5:43 AM

Why did Tom Hanks take the lead role in Sully when he wasn't a pilot?

John Travolta can fly a plane. Why didn't Tom turn it down and recommend him?

I guess Tom doesn't quite understand what 'acting' is.

by Anonymousreply 133June 17, 2022 6:19 AM

Dakota Johnson is getting dragged too for playing a blind and paralyzed woman. That role could have gone to a blind and paraplegic actress since they don’t get very many roles or opportunities.

by Anonymousreply 134June 17, 2022 7:56 AM

Dakota Johnson has an upcoming movie where she played a woman who comes out as a lesbian in her 30s. Tig Notaro and her wife directed that movie. Dakota will probably get dragged for that. Knowing how some people are today, the dragging will probably extend Tig and her wife and possibly casting directors for not getting a lesbian actress to play the role.

by Anonymousreply 135June 17, 2022 12:39 PM

[R18] His EX Luke MacFarlane played many straight roles and maybe that's why they broke up lol

by Anonymousreply 136June 17, 2022 2:39 PM

Pandering. I'm waiting for his line of scrumptious candy bars.

by Anonymousreply 137June 17, 2022 2:48 PM

[quote]and their are many fan photos.

Oh, DEAR!

by Anonymousreply 138June 17, 2022 5:39 PM

R68 its called acting

by Anonymousreply 139June 18, 2022 12:25 PM

I really liked this article and Gauiter's statements.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140August 4, 2022 4:17 AM

Does he support his idiot son acting like a black guy from the Caribbean?

by Anonymousreply 141August 4, 2022 4:24 AM

[quote] I don’t think people will accept the falsity of a straight guy playing a gay guy.

It's a fair point. Just as I never could accept the falsity of Tom playing a courageous US Army ranger

by Anonymousreply 142August 4, 2022 4:55 AM

R141 Jamaican people seemed to like and laugh at it. Calm down.

by Anonymousreply 143August 4, 2022 4:57 AM

r143 that's not the point.

by Anonymousreply 144August 4, 2022 4:59 AM

What's the point, R144?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145August 4, 2022 5:01 AM

The point is that he says straight actors shouldn't play gay characters yet his lily white son thinks he's a black Jamaican and apparently hasn't called that out as inappropriate.

by Anonymousreply 146August 4, 2022 5:10 AM

The problem is you can't say this kind of stuff without the chance of it being turned around on you. If only gay actors can play gay roles, then can they not play straight ones?

by Anonymousreply 147August 4, 2022 5:42 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 148August 4, 2022 5:46 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 149August 4, 2022 5:47 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 150August 4, 2022 5:49 AM

Being gay has nothing to do with appearance, it has to do with the sex of the person you appear to be attracted to on screen. So it's more about behaviour and only in the context of attraction. Everything else is the same. So anyone can do it.

by Anonymousreply 151August 4, 2022 1:37 PM

I think it sucks that there are many very talented openly gay actors out there who cannot get work, partly because they are gay, and more importantly because they aren't already famous. It's a self fulfilling prophecy. There aren't enough box office draw gay actors because of the legacy of the Hollywood closet.

That's the main issue here.

It would be great if we lived in a world where there was equal opportunity, but we aren't there. We've come a long way, and maybe we will get there one day. But for now, this is still an issue. Kind of annoyed by the Whataboutism on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 152August 4, 2022 2:57 PM

Any bets on when a white actor will be "permitted" to play a nonwhite role?

by Anonymousreply 153August 4, 2022 3:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!