Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Better Call Saul: The Series Finale

August 15th. “Saul Gone.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247January 16, 2024 2:39 PM

Previous thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 10, 2022 11:28 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 10, 2022 11:34 PM

It looks like he tries to contact the vacuum repair guy but I doubt they will have him disappear like Jesse. He is either going down in a hail of bullets or to jail.

by Anonymousreply 3August 10, 2022 11:34 PM

I think he’s too sympathetic a character to kill off. Walter white was different - easy to hate. We all got to know Jimmy McGill too well and not Saul. I’d hate to see him die.

by Anonymousreply 4August 11, 2022 12:10 AM

Is this show that good? I've only seen Breaking Bad and was wondering if I should binge it.

by Anonymousreply 5August 11, 2022 12:17 AM

I kind of want Jimmy to get away, but then again I was still rooting for Walt at the end and I always liked Skylar. I couldn't stand Marie and Hank got on my nerves. So I probably am in the minority.

by Anonymousreply 6August 11, 2022 12:20 AM

r5 it is an excellent show but it can be slow moving

by Anonymousreply 7August 11, 2022 1:30 AM

[quote]Is this show that good? I've only seen Breaking Bad and was wondering if I should binge it.

Yeah. It's that good. It does a great job of world-building. Those early seasons dealing heavily with the law firm and the main character's relationship with his older brother are really good for getting all the pieces in place. Then in seasons 4-6, it's closer in tone to Breaking Bad. Some people prefer one era or the other of BCS, but I love it all.

by Anonymousreply 8August 11, 2022 5:37 AM

I also didn’t think Kim’s crying scene was believable.

by Anonymousreply 9August 11, 2022 6:58 AM

Rhea can do no wrong in my book. I think she has done remarkable work on this show. I loved her crying scene. It broke my heart. I know, MARY!

by Anonymousreply 10August 11, 2022 9:22 AM

Make room for one more at the Rhea super-fan table.

She has a nice story. She's been doing movies and TV since 1997, has even been a regular on other series, but she never had anything very successful. She got the BCS role when she was in her early forties (not typically the greatest age for a gigging television actress), and now she has more fans and recognition than she's ever had.

And she looks great. Obviously, BCS has a lot of people playing younger, with Aaron Paul as Jesse in recent flashbacks being the absurd extreme, but RS has always convinced me as Kim, who's 34-36 in the main part of the series, when Chuck, Howard, and Nacho were still above ground.

by Anonymousreply 11August 11, 2022 9:42 AM

Why is Carol Burnett riding a bike with Saddam Hussein?

by Anonymousreply 12August 11, 2022 9:53 AM

Better Call Saddam was pushing her motorized scooter thing, which wasn't working. He'd sabotaged himself for an opportunity to ingratiate himself, but it's a long story.

by Anonymousreply 13August 11, 2022 10:48 AM

^ "sabotaged it"

by Anonymousreply 14August 11, 2022 10:48 AM

No spoilers, R13.

by Anonymousreply 15August 13, 2022 9:30 PM

I never saw the show but would watch for Carol Burnett, is she a regular?

by Anonymousreply 16August 13, 2022 9:34 PM

Kims a cunt but now it’s a sympathy ride for diehards because she told him to turn himself in then she confessed to the widow. She deserves jail as well, she was in for the scheming and stealing as much as Jimmy/Saul was. Walter White had terminal cancer and a shitty ass family, I was glad he went all nuclear on everyone. Fuck it , he went out in a blaze of glory !

by Anonymousreply 17August 13, 2022 9:37 PM

I can't see why Kim would be working as a desktop publisher at a sprinkler supply company. It's not like she was in WitPro. Why dumb down the career so much and fuck an orangutan also? Chronic depression? PTSD? I don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 18August 13, 2022 9:43 PM

That guy might have a 9 inch dick, R18.

by Anonymousreply 19August 13, 2022 9:58 PM

r18 it's like she is punishing herself and living a bland life like Gene

by Anonymousreply 20August 13, 2022 10:33 PM

[quote]I never saw the show but would watch for Carol Burnett, is she a regular?

She's only in the last few episodes, playing a no-nonsense Midwestern old lady. And she's terrific in the role.

by Anonymousreply 21August 13, 2022 10:33 PM

R18, I know a couple of people who had trauma as a kid and they need a calm cubicle job to keep their stress levels down

by Anonymousreply 22August 13, 2022 10:38 PM

I put Miracle Whip in my tuna sandwiches, don't call me Kim

by Anonymousreply 23August 13, 2022 10:41 PM

[quote]No spoilers, [R13].

That was from several episodes ago.

I wouldn't post any spoilers for the finale even if I knew any.

by Anonymousreply 24August 14, 2022 8:14 AM

It’s kind of too late for Kim to redeem herself. I think that’s the last we see of her; her fate being the bland monochromatic life of a single, middle aged office dead. She’s established her life as a way to punish herself.

The show has been fun and I realize I’m likely the only one here to think so, but the production became too twee and precious for me to really like a while back. The long, senseless drag of the storyline, the banal, senseless episode openings, the focus on random scenes or objects for what seems like several minutes… I.e., a coffee cup in a diner, the blurred background of a door opening and closing and the muffled chatter of customers.. All of it burning time for no other reason than to stretch the episodes out because the writers were struggling to find filler. Like BB, the show and Bob Odenkirk has gotten so much praise and heavy petting that’s it’s gone to their head and they’ve gone out of their way to have all these weird or ‘edgy’ scenes that drag the story and waste time. They clearly began to believe their shit didn’t stink and figured they’d go full-on film-school cliche. I mean, the whole black and white thing alone is so absurd and played out that I’m baffled why it hasn’t been called out by critics or tv observers.

But, that’s just me.

by Anonymousreply 25August 14, 2022 8:51 AM

Just you.

by Anonymousreply 26August 14, 2022 8:53 AM

I think Kim will be in the finale. Her unburdening her conscience, "Gene's" self-destructive return to crime, and Marion's figuring out the Saul/Gene connection are all happening at the same time for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 27August 14, 2022 9:23 AM

All the more reason to kill him, R4. I think Saul conned me too. I was rooting for him and not really sure why. However, the Howard stuff was a bridge too far for me. Saul's a irredeemable scumbag so I'd be happy for him to get shot in the head.

I think the foreshadowing, e.g., the shallow grave shot and Kim's remark that she's "glad he's still alive" may indicate a bad end for him.

Don't care about Kim either. She's cleared her conscience - several years later. Poor thing gets to live a boring suburban life. Is that her penance? Cry me another river.

Complaining aside, the writing, acting, production, etc., has been excellent. The whole series has been enthralling. I'll be sad to see BCS end.

by Anonymousreply 28August 14, 2022 9:26 AM

R25, the black and white scenes are specifically to tell you that it's happening in present day. It's not an 'artistic choice'.

With multiple timelines being displayed, I think it's helpful.

by Anonymousreply 29August 14, 2022 4:34 PM

Not sure why some posters are so gaga about Kim. The actress was serviceable. Jimmy/Saul/Gene is the real powerhouse.

by Anonymousreply 30August 14, 2022 4:42 PM

^I don’t know about that, I’d much rather service Bob Odenkirk than Rhea Seehorn!

by Anonymousreply 31August 15, 2022 7:48 AM

[quote]I think he’s too sympathetic a character to kill off.

R4 After last week's episode and his treatment of Kim (in his BB office to sign divorce papers), I lost all sympathy for him. The episode revolved around Kim's current life in Florida and had some great time jumps. In that episode, Saul became a total jerk -- until he ran from the Carol Burnett character instead of strangling her. That might have been his one redemptive act.

by Anonymousreply 32August 15, 2022 8:13 AM

R5 Like R7 wrote, it is slow moving but worth it. I didn't think Season 3 added much to the series but it picked up in S4 and kept going strong. When I binge on it later - after it's conclusion - I'll either skip S3 or FF through it.

by Anonymousreply 33August 15, 2022 8:17 AM

I think R8 made the same point about S3.

by Anonymousreply 34August 15, 2022 8:19 AM

[quote]I don’t know about that, I’d much rather service Bob Odenkirk than Rhea Seehorn!

R31 I'd prefer Lalo (Tony Dalton) or Nacho (Michael Mando) -- woof. They made me tingle every time.

by Anonymousreply 35August 15, 2022 8:30 AM

Jimmy ripping off the shopping mall and getting into identity theft in his Omaha Gene life made me think of Henry Hill (the Goodfellas protagonist), who just could not stay out of legal trouble even after he was put in witness protection.

I loved season 3, more than the first two. I thought it did a great job of wrapping up the Chuck story and getting Gus into the mix, and at least two episodes from it, "Chicanery" and "Lantern," would be on my best-of list.

With the finale pending, I'd rank the seasons 5-6-3-1-4-2. The reason I have 4 relatively low is that it felt the show was laboring a bit to reset. That's the season we spent a lot of time with Jimmy suspended and working at the cell phone place, Mike in the grief group with Tamara Tunie, and the construction of the lab headed by poor dumb Werner Ziegler.

by Anonymousreply 36August 15, 2022 8:30 AM

R36 Yes, "poor dumb Werner Ziegler" - I loved the guy and was so happy to see more of his story, and his wife's, in S6.

by Anonymousreply 37August 15, 2022 8:41 AM

So how does it end? This show was a total bore but I liked Breaking Bad.

by Anonymousreply 38August 15, 2022 8:53 AM

I never felt bored.

by Anonymousreply 39August 15, 2022 9:16 AM

I love the show and think it is superior to Breaking Bad. Carol Burnett's wonderful performance in the final episodes has been the icing on the cake.

I tend to think it will end with Jimmy/Saul going to prison rather than dying but who knows? The only thing that's been officially confirmed is that Kim Wexler will be in this episode.

And they said previously that Walter White will be in two episodes this season, so since he's only turned up once so far he's due to show up too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 15, 2022 9:17 AM

Carol Burnett is a lock for an Emmy.

by Anonymousreply 41August 15, 2022 9:24 AM

Wait, it’s still going?

by Anonymousreply 42August 15, 2022 11:36 AM

One more episode r42.

by Anonymousreply 43August 15, 2022 11:55 AM

R42 is a sharp one.

by Anonymousreply 44August 15, 2022 12:58 PM

They should end it with a further jump into the future, where Saul Goodman is Trump's attorney.

by Anonymousreply 45August 15, 2022 6:49 PM

Ha! Yes, giving a press conference at Four Seasons Landscaping, hair dye running down his forehead.

by Anonymousreply 46August 15, 2022 7:29 PM

I signed up for the 7 day free trial for AMC+ to watch it live. Probably will then cancel it before the 7 days are up.

by Anonymousreply 47August 15, 2022 11:00 PM

[QUOTE] I signed up for the 7 day free trial for AMC+ to watch it live. Probably will then cancel it before the 7 days are up.

They’re banking that you’ll be so hooked on episodes of Preacher and the sixth Walking Dead spin-off that you won’t want to cancel.

by Anonymousreply 48August 15, 2022 11:27 PM

r48 oh for the glory days of Mad Men with Breaking Bad afterwards or even early The Walking Dead.

by Anonymousreply 49August 15, 2022 11:50 PM

R48 I remember those glory days. Tonight is really the end of an era.

by Anonymousreply 50August 15, 2022 11:55 PM

There will be absolutely no reason to watch AMC after tonight.

by Anonymousreply 51August 15, 2022 11:58 PM

SEASON 6 EPISODE 12 SPOILER ALERT…….

Jimmy is on a self-imposed path to self destruction. Kim leaving him made him feel like he had nothing to lose - he never truly got over her or gained any perspective over his life’s path, evidenced by his phone call to her a whole 6 years later. Now his dark side has fully manifested itself. He crossed the rubicon when he openly and seriously contemplated killing Carol Burnett with the phone cord.

On a side note I watched the S6, E12 episode of Talking Saul or whatever it’s called (only because we’re so close to the end) and was struck by how morose and pissy Bob Odenkirk was. The host (whose name escapes me) was visibly uncomfortable, seemingly on pins and needles. Something happened during the outtakes as he looked like he would rather have been anywhere else. Caused me to lose my sympathy for his character a little bit too. Rhea saved the episode, she was cheery and respectful, providing many anecdotes related to the episode. Put your game face on Bob!

by Anonymousreply 52August 16, 2022 12:09 AM

Fuckkk youuu, R52. And you’re blocked! I didn’t read a word of your post, either.

by Anonymousreply 53August 16, 2022 12:12 AM

r53 I just skipped over it, I am avoiding spoilers. I still am ticked at a poster here who spoiled The Sopranos before the episode aired.

by Anonymousreply 54August 16, 2022 12:14 AM

Nothing makes my blood boil more than these spoiler artists. Cocksucker. I hope he gets colon cancer.

by Anonymousreply 55August 16, 2022 12:19 AM

R53, r54, and r55 can't read, apparently. Episode 12 ALREADY AIRED you retarded cunts. The last episode is #13. I was providing my insights on that, PAST episode, you know, like everyone else on this thread? Except I was the only one courteous enough to not spoil it for those who MAY NOT HAVE SEEN LAST WEEK'S EPISODE YET.

R55, cancer eh? Looks like the only thing that was spoiled was your horrible personality. You're disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 56August 16, 2022 12:45 AM

I got a warning at Primetimer Forums yet I went to the forum for the new episode and people are just posting anything there instead of waiting until the episode airs. I know they are the same people from TWoP and like to show authority. ugh

by Anonymousreply 57August 16, 2022 12:47 AM

He gonna DIE!

by Anonymousreply 58August 16, 2022 12:53 AM

I think Vince Gilligan is not going to let Jimmy get off lightly. I don't care for Kim but since she seemed to be a fan favorite I was afraid they may do a spin off with her. I still kind of hope Jimmy/Saul/Gene gets away, is that wrong?

by Anonymousreply 59August 16, 2022 12:55 AM

Getting nervous... here we go

by Anonymousreply 60August 16, 2022 1:00 AM

WTF not on AMC+ yet

by Anonymousreply 61August 16, 2022 1:02 AM

The ad that goes through his suits has an empty hanger at the end. He's seriously going to die. I will bet you ten American dollars.

by Anonymousreply 62August 16, 2022 1:02 AM

How much is ten American dollars worth in your country, R62?

by Anonymousreply 63August 16, 2022 1:05 AM

Do you really think the police would act that quickly on a tip by an old lady who may be senile?

by Anonymousreply 64August 16, 2022 1:13 AM

My prediction - Jimmy goes to prison. He tries to disappear but The Disappearer died a few weeks ago…meaning if he hadn’t stayed to deal with Jeffie on his own he’d have gotten clean away.

Jimmy deals with prison well - giving legal advice to the same scumbags he represented before. A bit Shawshank Redemption.

All of my predictions about this show so far have been 100% wrong - but this is my latest and last.

See you on the other side.

by Anonymousreply 65August 16, 2022 1:13 AM

R63, ten American dollars is worth ten American dollars in every country. Dipshit.

by Anonymousreply 66August 16, 2022 1:15 AM

R66 is both naive and disingenuous about the worth of money from place to place and from one week to another.

And the "dipshit" piece is terrible, coming from a dumb cunt.

by Anonymousreply 67August 16, 2022 1:17 AM

Shut up Marie. Never liked her. I would take Skylar over Marie.

by Anonymousreply 68August 16, 2022 1:25 AM

This is kind of boring.

by Anonymousreply 69August 16, 2022 2:01 AM

Less than 30 minutes left and I can't foresee how he gets in a car crash and calls the vacuum cleaner guy to disappear...that's the scene they keep showing in the ads.

by Anonymousreply 70August 16, 2022 2:23 AM

Good to see Chuck again!

by Anonymousreply 71August 16, 2022 2:24 AM

The ending was expected but kind of blah

by Anonymousreply 72August 16, 2022 2:24 AM

^^You know the ending?

by Anonymousreply 73August 16, 2022 2:27 AM

Yes I just watched it on AMC+ with no commercials

by Anonymousreply 74August 16, 2022 2:28 AM

Fuck! I'm still watching on AMC - 10 minutes left!

by Anonymousreply 75August 16, 2022 2:31 AM

I feel like I'd been edged for a very long time and then... it just dribbled out.

by Anonymousreply 76August 16, 2022 2:37 AM

R72 I agree. So why was the preview with the car crash and Saul calling the "disappearing guy" ? What was the point of him threatening Kim with some kind of incriminating testimony? I'm glad the writers tied it up; Saul got what he deserved but I didn't understand why Hank's wife and Gomey's wife were brought into it. That was a stretch.

The time machine business was interesting...

by Anonymousreply 77August 16, 2022 2:41 AM

Enjoyed it. Satisfying ending. I lost 10 bucks but it was worth it.

by Anonymousreply 78August 16, 2022 2:54 AM

So the "regrets" scene with Walter White and the all too brief appearance with Chuck are "time machine" fantasies? Dreams?

And his real sentence was 86 years?

The TONS of commercials made it torture to watch.

by Anonymousreply 79August 16, 2022 3:04 AM

[quote]So the "regrets" scene with Walter White and the all too brief appearance with Chuck are "time machine" fantasies? Dreams?

Those scenes and the one with Mike were previously unseen interactions from earlier points in the timeline. With Chuck when Chuck had withdrawn to his house but the relationship between the brothers was still good (early in season 1 or just prior to it) with Walter when they were bunking at Vacuum Cleaner Guy's place before being relocated (final season of BB); with Mike in the desert in season 5's "Bagman."

by Anonymousreply 80August 16, 2022 3:19 AM

R79 that’s an interesting observation. Did those scenes really happen or was it Jimmy daydreaming in his cell, time traveling?

by Anonymousreply 81August 16, 2022 3:23 AM

Maybe I haven't truly been in love because I wouldn't give up 7 years for 86

by Anonymousreply 82August 16, 2022 3:26 AM

The vacuum cleaner guy's basement looked a lot tighter in Breaking Bad than it did here - I guess because those overhead shots gave it more of an eerie, "afterlife" feeling. And the scene with Chuck was so dark, and him carrying the lantern, kind of suggested an afterlife as well (not to mention THE TIME MACHINE book). Those scenes really made me think Jimmy was dead - and I'm kind of thinking that might have made for a little bit better ending....?? If there had been a flashback of Jimmy and Kim watching ICE STATION ZEBRA that might have done it....

I did like the "thank you" curtain call from all the cast members.

by Anonymousreply 83August 16, 2022 3:28 AM

I assumed the Chuck scene was lit that way because McKean and Odenkirk have aged seven years since they played the characters in the period being revisited, and they were trying to make it less obvious. Same with fortysomething-playing-19 Aaron Paul last week mostly being shot from a distance, with Seehorn in the foreground.

But the lighting at Chuck's pad in seasons 1-3 always did vary from low to lower.

by Anonymousreply 84August 16, 2022 3:42 AM

[quote]Maybe I haven't truly been in love because I wouldn't give up 7 years for 86.

I admit to drinking through the entire second half of S6 marathon leading up to the finale. That said, I didn't see or understand that Saul gave up 7 years for 86! I need to watch again while sober.

by Anonymousreply 85August 16, 2022 4:14 AM

It was in the finale.

by Anonymousreply 86August 16, 2022 4:57 AM

[quote]And the scene with Chuck was so dark, and him carrying the lantern

Diogenes, looking for an honest man in the darkness. Chuck was as close to an honest man as this show had.

by Anonymousreply 87August 16, 2022 5:01 AM

I did not see them ending up “together”.

by Anonymousreply 88August 16, 2022 5:06 AM

They had two great chances for an ending: on the bus hurtling toward hell while the convicts chanted "BETTER! CALL! SAUL!" and Saul realized there was no escape from either jail or his crooked identity.

Or the chiaroscuro scene in the prison visiting room, where Saul and Kim were sharing one last cigarette against one last wall.

I'm not quite sure why it ended on the basketball court.

by Anonymousreply 89August 16, 2022 5:10 AM

That prison bus chant makes me think there's a musical on the horizon!

by Anonymousreply 90August 16, 2022 5:25 AM

Too bad Marie's scene was filmed in black and white. He could have seen if she got her purple on.

by Anonymousreply 91August 16, 2022 5:26 AM

How did he switch his sentence from 7 to 86 years?

by Anonymousreply 92August 16, 2022 6:26 AM

[quote]How did he switch his sentence from 7 to 86 years?

He killed the deal. In a nutshell, he finally put aside Saul Goodman and returned to Jimmy. He knew that the deal he negotiated wasn't any sort of real justice. He saw Kim and decided to step up and own his shit. That's what killed the deal. If Jimmy ever attains redemption it won't be for a long time. But he's begun to atone. He and Kim will never be together again, but the man she loved and married came back,.

by Anonymousreply 93August 16, 2022 6:34 AM

I think it was more to protect Kim, R93. As poetic as your explanation is, I don’t think he gave a fuck about justice…just Kim.

by Anonymousreply 94August 16, 2022 8:26 AM

Saul didn’t care, but Jimmy did. That was one of the main reasons he got into law in the first place. The money came later. He’d finally seen where Saul Goodman got him and he’d had enough. Saul Gone, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 95August 16, 2022 9:47 AM

[quote]Too bad Marie's scene was filmed in black and white. He could have seen if she got her purple on.

It was Hank who loved purple, Marie just made everything purple in the house because she knew her husband loved it. That's why the house isn't purple anymore after Hank died. It's also why so many of his minerals were purple.

That's from the last season of Breaking Bad, in case anyone wants to scream about spoilers.

by Anonymousreply 96August 16, 2022 11:32 AM

He had planned this before he saw Kim. That’s why he wanted her to be there..

by Anonymousreply 97August 16, 2022 12:43 PM

But what made him change his mind, R97? When we were in the interrogation room with the Purple Princess, he had been wonderfully defending himself, negotiating a great bargain.

Was Marie's scolding enough to make him decide to shed Saul?

by Anonymousreply 98August 16, 2022 2:55 PM

He changed so he could save Kim from prison.

by Anonymousreply 99August 16, 2022 3:36 PM

R98 he heard at the end about Kim’s confession about Howard and how it left her open to liability. He lied and said he had info to trade on her but it was all a ruse to get her into court so he could see her.

by Anonymousreply 100August 16, 2022 3:53 PM

Thank you R100, that makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 101August 16, 2022 4:38 PM

Shitty, lack lustre ending. Please no more BB spinoffs.

by Anonymousreply 102August 16, 2022 4:47 PM

Yes, R100 - but once he got her into court, he exonerated her for the Howard death. He swapped 7 years for 86 years to protect her. At least that’s how it seemed to me.

I’ve enjoyed this show but I agree with ^, this was a dull ending.

by Anonymousreply 103August 16, 2022 5:05 PM

I may be in the minority, but I found the guest spots by the BB alums to be largely underwhelming, and more distracting/stunt-y than actually being essential to the plot.

The last few episodes didn't really need any of them, and (to me) those characters all felt awkwardly shoehorned in to appease fans.

by Anonymousreply 104August 16, 2022 5:35 PM

I didn’t mind the flashbacks to Chuck and Walt—kind of like the angel and the devil on his shoulders, But Marie was forced. Since when do victims families get invited to plea negotiations? And Saul is only very tangentially related to Hank and Steve’s deaths—arguably not at all since they were killed by the Hillbillies.

by Anonymousreply 105August 16, 2022 5:40 PM

Yeah, I agree R105. The last thing we needed was more Marie. Yuck.

and yes, while Saul represented crooks, his crimes would not be on par with theirs. Aiding and abetting and turning a blind eye to crimes isn't the same as the crimes committed.

by Anonymousreply 106August 16, 2022 5:51 PM

I didn’t really like the cameos either….but I suppose what they were (I think) meant to signify is interesting enough.

Mike ultimately regrets his own “breaking bad” moment - the only character who ever has.

Walt sneering at the idea of regrets - and if he has one it’s that he deserved to be a billionaire more than Elliot.

Chuck is there (imo) to show a fork in the road…that if the brothers had sat and talked about Jimmy’s cases that night, their future could have been very different.

Marie was shoehorned in.

Overall, I’ve enjoyed BCS - and loved BB - so, meh. Nothing’s perfect.

by Anonymousreply 107August 16, 2022 5:53 PM

The actress who plays Marie hasn't aged a bit

by Anonymousreply 108August 16, 2022 6:06 PM

I think the finale did Kim a disservice - she already resigned from the bar and left Jimmy-so much for guilt. She moves to Florida for a new life, but after 6 years, a few minutes on the phone with Jimmy apparently spur her to travel back to Albuquerque, swear out a detailed statement about Howard's death and her role in it, AND present a copy to Howard's widow! She is not charged or even detained in any way (?) and returns to her drab Florida life, until Jimmy is put on trial and she returns to Albuquerque again. Based strictly on Jimmy's word that "I lied, Kim had nothing to do with it (Howard's death) again, she is not questioned or detained in any way, and in fact discovers that her New Mexico law license "doesn't have an expiration date" - wtf? Just so she can have that kind of tepid sharing a cigarette reunion?

I would have liked it a lot better if she had stayed in Florida - she gets the phone call about Jimmy's capture and trial from that woman, but she stays put. She learns that Jimmy has been convicted and sentenced to 86 years (that 7 year business was ludicrous and would never EVER happen, but she realizes that Jimmy has gotten her off the hook through his trial testimony. No sworn confession, no Howard's widow. She continues her humdrum life in Florida. UNTIL ONE DAY...

A package arrives for her at her workplace. She opens it up and finds a Band Aid tin full of diamonds. She then does one of the following: 1. She drives to a bridge and dumps them into the ocean. 2. She sends them anonymously as a gift to the free legal clinic where she was volunteering, or 3. We see a final shot of her on some lavish yacht, staring out at the ocean, headed for who knows where - kind of like Matty Walker in BODY HEAT. Pick the one you like best.

by Anonymousreply 109August 16, 2022 6:36 PM

I was hoping that Carol Burnett would have been present at the trial.

by Anonymousreply 110August 16, 2022 6:55 PM

It’s her ID card that doesn’t have an expiration date, so she used it to get into the prison.

by Anonymousreply 111August 16, 2022 6:56 PM

Trial was in Albuquerque. She was in Omaha.

by Anonymousreply 112August 16, 2022 6:57 PM

There are buses and trains, r112.

by Anonymousreply 113August 16, 2022 6:59 PM

As for the cameos the only one I was interested in was Chuck. The show fell off when he left but was glad to see it get more exciting towards the end of it's run.

by Anonymousreply 114August 16, 2022 7:07 PM

Old ladies in wheel chairs just love to travel.

by Anonymousreply 115August 16, 2022 7:18 PM

If my grandma talked into her medical alert and told them a wanted man was in her kitchen they would send a police officer to her house to find out info. They aren't going to send a bunch of cops out immediately to do a man hunt. But I guess we hand wave that as being a tv show.

by Anonymousreply 116August 16, 2022 8:07 PM

R108, black and white photography is very kind, is all.

R110, I agree. Just having her sitting there judging the whole thing would have been a treat. I guess they thought she might be too distracting?

R112, I don't think she was ever in Omaha. She went from FL to Albuquerque for the trial, then visited him in what was supposed to be ADX Montrose in Colorado, and the scene was actually filmed at a prison in Colorado (ADX Florence).

R116, yeah that was a stretch. A county-wide manhunt with helicopters, all for a crook from NM now in NE? Unless of course Kim's confession was brought to a federal level and they were already looking for Jimmy. But that all happened way too fast for that level of organization.

by Anonymousreply 117August 16, 2022 8:26 PM

The feds were looking for Saul. DEA is federal.

by Anonymousreply 118August 16, 2022 8:29 PM

You know what I like best about this show. The average age for the cast is at least 50. Terrific acting by mostly character actors.

by Anonymousreply 119August 16, 2022 8:31 PM

I can't believe they didn't put me in a cameo!

by Anonymousreply 120August 16, 2022 9:11 PM

I was left waiting in my trailer for days. Nobody came and found me.

by Anonymousreply 121August 16, 2022 9:13 PM

If the put Flynn in, they'd have to include Skyler, and ain’t nobody wanna see that.

by Anonymousreply 122August 16, 2022 9:14 PM

r120 sorry there wasn't time for a breakfast scene

by Anonymousreply 123August 16, 2022 9:33 PM

The incident with Chuck occurred a day before the pilot in which Jimmy surprises Chuck with The Financial Times.

by Anonymousreply 124August 16, 2022 10:11 PM

Saul was the only one left alive from a nationwide story. 2 DEA agents were murdered (altho didn't some other ones get shot too?) My shitty town police have helicopters, tanks, mobile watchtowers and fucking armored golf carts. They love to pull out that shit out and waggle it around every chance they get.

by Anonymousreply 125August 16, 2022 10:37 PM

At the end when Kim walks out if the prison, is that supposed to be the same day she had a cigarette with Jimmy? Or a different day to indicate that she keeps visiting him?

by Anonymousreply 126August 17, 2022 2:56 AM

Likely the same day. Given that she's in Florida and he's in Colorado, regular visits aren't too likely.

by Anonymousreply 127August 17, 2022 3:46 AM

I don't understand why he didn't at least hinder the Carol Burnett character from talking to the Life Alert person. It would have bought him some time instead of everything closing in so quickly. But then the finale would have been stretched out to another episode, I guess. It just seemed strange that Saul suddenly had this softy moment with a 'victim.'

by Anonymousreply 128August 17, 2022 3:49 AM

R127 I agree. I think that was her first and last visit with Jimmy. The big goodbye.

by Anonymousreply 129August 17, 2022 3:50 AM

In reality, she would be way out of that prison before he had time to be moved to his cell or back to the kitchen, put on a hoodie, and then be moved to the yard.

Prisons take forever to move inmates around. But I liked the ending.

by Anonymousreply 130August 17, 2022 4:27 AM

Jimmy's in North Carolina federal prison not Colorado - the one he specifically requested.

by Anonymousreply 131August 17, 2022 4:51 AM

I thought he was in the prison he described as the Alcatraz of the West (or NM, I can't remember which). It's the one he DIDN'T want to be sent because he had clients there and knew it was a pit.

by Anonymousreply 132August 17, 2022 4:58 AM

You're correct, he went to ADX Florence in Colorado, AKA Supermax.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133August 17, 2022 5:07 AM

Alcatraz of the Rockies.... As in Colorado.

by Anonymousreply 134August 17, 2022 5:27 AM

I think that Jimmy's last scene - aiming the finger pistols at Kim - was a throwback to the scene where Kim did the same thing to "Saul" a season earlier when she began plotting the downfall of Hamlin. To me, it puts a whole different spin on that final scene. Kim was the driving force behind that plot.

by Anonymousreply 135August 17, 2022 6:43 AM

I thought DL would enjoy the Duke's v Miracle Whip conversations in Kim's Florida life.

by Anonymousreply 136August 17, 2022 6:52 AM

Kim's wig was so fake looking. Couldn't they have gotten one with real human hair?

by Anonymousreply 137August 17, 2022 7:25 AM

So, they're basically back where they started? She's working for a pro bono legal service. He'll be offering legal advice to fellow inmates and probably start running scams.

I thought it was a great episode with a meh ending. Are these two actually paying a price? Sure, Saul got 86 years or whatever it was, but it seems he'll be doing soft time. They were chanting his name, ffs.

I agree about the callbacks. The Pinkman one with Kim was awkward and unnecessary. Marie didn't need to be there either.

I think the writers viewed Saul as more scoundrel than scumbag. I wanted one of them to die. That said, what an awesome series! I miss it already.

by Anonymousreply 138August 17, 2022 7:26 AM

Kim got off too easy.

by Anonymousreply 139August 17, 2022 7:33 AM

Spinoffs no one wants:

"Used to Be My Playground": In present-day Albuquerque, little Kaylee is all grown up, and they're a no-nonsense nonbinary rookie cop uncovering corruption in the police department...while living with a mother who keeps getting their pronouns wrong! Fortunately, they get valuable guidance when a box of videotaped messages from long-dead Pop-Pop (special guest star Jonathan Banks) is delivered on a significant birthday, with instructions to only watch one tape a week. But where to find a VCR?

"Omaha Mavericks": Eightysomething Marion (comedy legend Carol Burnett) keeps hoping against hope that her firm guidance will get her wayward cabbie son Jeffy in line, but he keeps disappointing her. Can his latest setback set him on the straight and narrow? Flashbacks demonstrate that it was always more of the same.

"Moot Points": In the anything-goes '70s, Chuck McGill feels like a man out of time. He's a conservative, tightly wound law student convinced that his much-younger brother is the devil incarnate, and his parents are clueless dupes. His legal acumen marks him as a rising star with a limitless future, but can sexy young violinist Becky Bois get him to feel the grass under his toes, and maybe light some up once in a while?

by Anonymousreply 140August 17, 2022 8:05 AM

Wait a minute r140 I may be interested in "Moot Points"

by Anonymousreply 141August 17, 2022 8:12 AM

With James Van Der Beek as hunky younger Chuck.

by Anonymousreply 142August 17, 2022 11:34 AM

Eight decades in prison is in no way an easy sentence. I'd rather be dead.

by Anonymousreply 143August 17, 2022 12:48 PM

[quote]Eight decades in prison is in no way an easy sentence. I'd rather be dead.

Or working as a mousy cubefrau at a Florida sprinkler company.

by Anonymousreply 144August 17, 2022 12:56 PM

87 years seems excessive. Murderers get out sooner.

by Anonymousreply 145August 17, 2022 2:28 PM

Don't we guess that Kim left the sprinkler job to be a full-time law office volunteer?

by Anonymousreply 146August 17, 2022 2:58 PM

I think the sprinkler job becomes her post-lawyering equivalent of Mesa Verde (something that pays well and that she's good at, but she doesn't really care about) and volunteering at the legal clinic becomes like taking pro bono cases was.

Watching "Waterworks" a second time, I noticed more how meticulous she was at the sprinkler job, as dull as the work looked. In the finale, the way she just said "I'm taking off early" and the woman said "Sure thing, Kim," I got the sense she's valuable there. She's probably built up some leeway to make flexible hours.

If it isn't the sprinkler place, it will be something like it. She's gotta eat.

by Anonymousreply 147August 17, 2022 4:13 PM

An epic series; not so sure the last episode did it justice.

So careful (and sometimes subtle) about details: did anyone notice that in the "sharing a cigarette" penultimate scene the flame from the lighter was in color, and as she took a drag, the ember at the end of the cigarette was also in color? The flame between them; their joint chemistry like fire.

Perhaps just share the cigarette (as they often did) put it out, walk out, end. The last shot of Jimmy in the yard just didn't make sense in terms of time... and the "cute end" of the shooting guns (emulating Kim) seemed too hokey.

by Anonymousreply 148August 17, 2022 4:53 PM

Kim has an office. With blinds!

by Anonymousreply 149August 17, 2022 8:31 PM

The guys on the bus in NM were chanting Saul’s name. In Colorado, they don’t know him.

by Anonymousreply 150August 17, 2022 8:32 PM

The ending was so beautiful. I’ve watched it several times, but still haven’t been able to keep myself from tearing up. Jimmy/Saul/Gene/James got exactly what he deserved, but he also paid for the crimes of people who were far worse.

by Anonymousreply 151August 17, 2022 8:35 PM

[quote] I thought he was in the prison he described as the Alcatraz of the West

Yes but it was noted he later was transferred to the softer prison for good behavior.

[quote] The guys on the bus in NM were chanting Saul’s name. In Colorado, they don’t know him

Why wouldn't they ?The story of Walter White and the sequel of Saul would have been a prolonged news story. Programs like Dateline would have been exploiting the hell out of it including Saul's commercials and his tagline.. He had become a criminal legend entitled their respect.

Much the same happened with Bernie Maddoff when he was imprisoned.

Overall the finale was a wet firecracker. Best part was Saul dominating the arrogant US Attorney and Marie's outrage as she sees Hank's sacrifice betrayed. That nicely summed up the real Dept of Justice..

by Anonymousreply 152August 17, 2022 10:20 PM

[QUOTE] The ending was so beautiful. I’ve watched it several times, but still haven’t been able to keep myself from tearing up. Jimmy/Saul/Gene/James got exactly what he deserved, but he also paid for the crimes of people who were far worse.

I teared up because I knew I was never going to see another new episode of Better Call Saul again. I’m heartbroken that it’s over.

by Anonymousreply 153August 18, 2022 1:06 AM

I am a softie. I cry at commercials (not kidding ... lots of commercials). I felt a little sad at the ending, but not for the characters. It was pretty weird how unmoved I was.

by Anonymousreply 154August 18, 2022 2:40 AM

On first viewing, I didn't like the finale at all but when I watched it again, I thought everyone got their due and I was satisfied that it ended on that note. I'm looking forward to watching the whole series again - a few episodes at a time - now that I know how it ends. Gilligan and Gould did a great job of foreshadowing and tying up loose ends.

by Anonymousreply 155August 18, 2022 3:28 AM

At least now Saul won't have Forrest Trump bugging him.

by Anonymousreply 156August 18, 2022 4:51 AM

I figured Kim was able to stop punishing herself and start volunteering at the law firm after unburdening herself and in a poetic way, saul would do the same ( becoming Jimmy again) even though it meant going to prison.

by Anonymousreply 157August 18, 2022 5:10 AM

The only things I didn’t like about the finale:

1. The “Better Call Saul” chant in the prison bus…

2. I don’t know the technical term for the position, but whoever was in charge of sound effects dropped the ball a couple of times. The worst instance was the Chuck scene…the lamp noise was deafening.

by Anonymousreply 158August 18, 2022 5:51 AM

[quote]I am a softie. I cry at commercials (not kidding ... lots of commercials). I felt a little sad at the ending, but not for the characters. It was pretty weird how unmoved I was.

I don't know if that means it was a miss, though. "A little sad at the ending," without weeping over it, sounds like the right part of the target to me. Jimmy and Kim both have lost a lot, through their own choices and actions. They will always have a connection, but they can't be what they were to each other, can't be in each other's lives in the same way. Still, there's hope for them, because (unlike many others in the BCS/BB world) they made it out alive.

I suspect your response was guided by the stoicism of the characters about where they had ended up in those scenes, and the show's presentation. It was bittersweet rather than devastating.

I'll miss BCS and these characters, but I did like how it wrapped up.

by Anonymousreply 159August 18, 2022 6:04 AM

What a cliffhanger ending to this season. I can hardly wait for the next.

by Anonymousreply 160August 18, 2022 6:13 AM

R160, next season opens with the revelation of Bob Odenkirk having a foot fetish:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161August 18, 2022 6:26 AM

[quote]Don't we guess that Kim left the sprinkler job to be a full-time law office volunteer?

i don't think she'd give up all of those co-worker birthdays at the sprinkler company.

by Anonymousreply 162August 18, 2022 6:29 AM

A review of the finale:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163August 18, 2022 6:32 AM

I don't like the ending because it's simply not believable. Nobody turns 7 years in prison into 86, end of.

This was a man who had no problem planting poison and having people killed but he apparently feels such guilt about long gone ex wife he wants to impress her and needlessly die in the hole. It's ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 164August 18, 2022 6:37 AM

TV guide? Wow! Blast from the past.

by Anonymousreply 165August 18, 2022 7:07 AM

Who did Saul have killed? He glibly recommended having Badger killed, but nothing came of it. His actions indirectly led to the deaths of Howard and Chuck, but it wasn’t on purpose. He also chickened out the few times we saw him (as Gene) put in a position where he prepared to harm someone.

by Anonymousreply 166August 18, 2022 8:14 AM

R166 He did suggest killing Jesse too - using the “Old Yeller” analogy. He must have known that Walt was going to poison Brock and he was certainly aware of the 9 prison killings, making him an accessory after the fact. Maybe it’s not the same as wielding the knife/gun himself, but he’s always been fine with murder so long as his hands stay clean. R164 has a point.

by Anonymousreply 167August 18, 2022 9:17 AM

I absolutely loved the finale. Completely satisfied on every level.

by Anonymousreply 168August 18, 2022 11:51 AM

Great BB/BCS article featuring the great Jonathan Banks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169August 18, 2022 3:23 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170August 19, 2022 1:25 AM

I saw somebody speculate Chuck walking with the lamp was suggesting Diogenes Searching for an Honest Man

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171August 19, 2022 1:30 AM

[QUOTE]Variety: Having not seen the full episode, what do you think the significance of “The Time Machine” is?

[QUOTE]Michael McKean: I think that the reason Chuck is in the episode is to tell everyone that you really can’t go back in time. So you have to make your decisions in the moment. And we’re flashing back to a guy who didn’t make the right choices, a guy who let a lot of long-burning problems set fire to his life, literally and figuratively. Chuck, at that point, may have had a little glimpse of what the future is, if you mold it correctly. And of course “The Time Machine” is about a poorly molded future.

[QUOTE]Michael McKean: Maybe it’s about how the future is yours to design as much as you’re capable of. Don’t blow it. Now, this is something said by a man [Chuck] who was kind of getting started on blowing his own future. He just didn’t know it. He was putting himself in a bind because of his various feelings, his jealousies, his inability to win people the way Jimmy does. [Chuck watches Jimmy] do what lawyers do, but doing it openly and brazenly and getting away with it because he’s charming and a little slippy. Chuck, who plays by the rules, he was the man wondering: “If I’m doing it right, why do I feel so terrible?” The past is the past, but it’s still with you. What you do with yourself and who you are when you revisit the past can be kind of instructive. I think on a much shorter scale, that’s what Jimmy is doing and feeling in these moments, when he’s thinking about the time that’s gone by.

by Anonymousreply 172August 19, 2022 1:33 AM

I'm glad some of you are gathering some deep meaning in this series and its final episodes, even if only projecting.

I thought it sucked. Literally just sucked. Not just the blunt ending that was void of the heavy tension and emotion they've laced throughout the series. I've said and agreed before that it seemed to get very twee and self precious with all the sepia/black and white footage, the jumping between timelines, and the long burn of banal scenes. All of that was as if they hired a bunch of local Albequerqe film students and set them loose on production. Meanwhile, they could have done SOMETHING better with this character.

The sudden, supernatural-like way Saul walks into a room, conducts a little play then smugly reveals himself to have been acting, telling not just one, but nine FEDERAL PROSECUTORS what he'll 'accept', because somehow he's so genius he's made them all verklempt with his sly and slick lawyering.... that was ridiculous!! Just totally silly. We'd expect some of that, and maybe they were going to stretch that part out and ran out of time, (likely because of all the aforementioned twee slow burn scenes designed to eat up time).

This was a charismatic, complicated man who was clearly born rogue, drawn to conning people, but he did it in a "good" way usually. One phone call with Kim did not 'send him over the edge'. That wasn't his character's trait.

I wish people would stop giving praise to producers and writers like Vince Gilligan and David Chase when they run these years-long, highly successful stories, only to kick their viewers in the nuts in the finales because they're anxious to wrap it up, take the money and run.

by Anonymousreply 173August 19, 2022 2:42 PM

The Sopranos ending was brilliant. The audience was whacked.

by Anonymousreply 174August 19, 2022 3:00 PM

R173 I am slightly more forgiving than you, but you are completely and totally right. You’ve summed up my feelings perfectly.

So many of these types of series start playing up to “cleverness” (or what they think passes for it) rather than simply telling a good, coherent story.

Sherlock disappeared up it’s own arse in this way, as did Breaking Bad (which I love but the logistics of the finale did not work). And Dexter’s ending (whenever that was) was legendarily bad.

The Wire, Sopranos and Six Feet Under all ended well (imo) so it can be done. Writers need to stop writing with one eye on Reddit.

by Anonymousreply 175August 19, 2022 6:27 PM

Breaking Bad ending was better, it's like they wimped out with this ending because they felt like they had to punish Saul.

by Anonymousreply 176August 19, 2022 6:36 PM

Yep, BB was definitely better - but you have to assume facts not in evidence to make it work. When did Walt ever go to the Nazi compound to know the layout (he met them at a motel before).? How did he know he’d be able to park in the exact spot he needed to for his plan to work?

Not a teriible ending at all - just not quite as good as it could have been for me.

by Anonymousreply 177August 19, 2022 6:46 PM

In a just world, someone like Saul SHOULD be punished. How do you defend someone who not only steals but steals from a guy with cancer? He has no morals, no ethics, no decency. I mean he is in fact someone like Trump - just smarter.

by Anonymousreply 178August 19, 2022 6:47 PM

Most of the audience wants to see Saul get punished. He’s been a bad boy.

by Anonymousreply 179August 19, 2022 6:59 PM

[quote]you have to assume facts not in evidence to make it work. When did Walt ever go to the Nazi compound to know the layout (he met them at a motel before).? How did he know he’d be able to park in the exact spot he needed to for his plan to work?

The parking issue is a big one, but also, he could have been shot and buried before ever crossing the threshold. And his whole plan with the remote-controlled machine gun in the trunk would have failed if the person who took his keys away had pocketed them, instead of tossing them onto the pool table where they were within easy reach. A lesser bother is that the taunting of Jack about Jesse being his "partner" gets exactly the reaction Walt desires, almost as if this has turned into a cartoon. We were skirting close to "Don't throw me into the briar patch, please, anything but that" writing there.

I loved both series, but "Saul Gone" > "Felina." (IMO.)

by Anonymousreply 180August 19, 2022 7:01 PM

[quote]The Memorable Music of ‘Better Call Saul’ in 6 Key Songs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181August 20, 2022 3:10 PM

[QUOTE] I loved both series, but "Saul Gone" > "Felina." (IMO.)

Breaking Bad in its entirety requires far more suspension of disbelief than Better Call Saul.

by Anonymousreply 182August 20, 2022 4:11 PM

I loved the show and the ending. But I do feel like the long burn scenes and the jumpy timelines really did eat up a lot of time that could have been better used (except Carol Burnett was fantastic).

Call me crazy, but I wanted a straight timeline up until the point where Jesse/Walt get involved, and have maybe a whole finale season involving their timelines meshing fully - where we replay famous scenes within their collaborations, but maybe this time from Saul's point of view, with some unrevealed secrets thrown in, that maybe there was stuff going on with Saul that we now get to see, that BB didn't show, in reintroducting his scenes with the BB characters.

I got the sense that given how much all the actors had aged since BB, they didn't want to bother with complex makeup.

by Anonymousreply 183August 21, 2022 7:14 PM

Like the boxing match. That had no meaning to me. Perhaps I missed something, but I felt like that was filler.

by Anonymousreply 184August 21, 2022 7:15 PM

The boxing match was the show’s lowest point. It made no sense that Jimmy would agree to box Howard.

by Anonymousreply 185August 22, 2022 8:05 AM

[quote]Breaking Bad (which I love but the logistics of the finale did not work)

I'm glad to see others who didn't care for the BB finale. Not just the final episode, but lots of things toward the end like Gomez getting killed during the commercial break, just seemed like "hurry up and get it over with."

That didn't seem so obvious to me with the BCS finale. It seemed like they wanted to give Saul one last hurrah and I agree with others that it didn't work that well, primarily because Saul was gone, as the title literally tells us, and they didn't make it believable that he resurrected Saul briefly for the dramatic finale.

I also think that the original draft had Jimmy decide at the last second to say he'd just made up Kim's involvement as a trick to get her there, and then some ill-advised re-writes got us what was actually on screen. Not bad, but also not entirely convincing. Still it was more satisfying than Breaking Bad's finale, I think.

by Anonymousreply 186August 22, 2022 8:13 AM

I didn't love the boxing scene, and that episode ("Black and Blue") was one of the lesser entries of season 6, but I also didn't think the scene was a terrible violation or worthless. It made sense for Howard, who's straightforward and somewhat old-fashioned, to suggest settling differences that way.

After Howard wins, he tells Jimmy he hopes this puts an end to the harassment, but he doubts it will, and then we see him conferring with the "private investigator." We later learn that Jimmy and Kim are ahead of him; the PI is their plant. Howard just can't think like a devious person enough to come out ahead here.

The scene back at the J&K apartment afterward is of some minor psychological interest. Jimmy wonders out loud why he agreed to box Howard, which a lot of viewers also wondered. Kim says "You had your reasons...you know what's next." That suggests either he did it to make Howard think Howard still had some control (because acting smug and walking out may have made Howard more suspicious?), or else Jimmy has a bit of guilt for what they're going to do, so he's letting Howard get a few licks in.

One thing I always liked about BCS is that yes, there were occasional weaker episodes, but they usually were setting something up. I never felt an episode just wasted time. My least favorite of this season was "Nippy" (the great Omaha mall heist), but that did introduce the Marion character and put all the pieces in place for Jimmy's downfall. At the end of it, he tells Jeff and Buddy this is the end and not to contact him, but at his first emotional setback, he contacts them. He was like a relapsing addict.

by Anonymousreply 187August 22, 2022 8:35 AM

The most irritating thing to me about the series is, as it went on, the opening scenes of some random place, or weird music playing... Blurred close-up of a coffee mug in a diner, someone walks in, sits down... We see a gauzy image of a diner and people at the counter and hear the chatter of people and clanking of dishes...... for TEN FUCKING MINUTES.... then commercial break.. Return and we're back in the story. No reason ever given for the opening scenes. Then the retarded black and white shit. So, yeah, "twee" and "self precious" really describes the production in the final couple of seasons. Or maybe, "douchey" is a better word. We also deserved to know just a tiny bit more about Kim's long-term fate. Did she return to legal practice? Did she go back to Florida or stay in NM? Was she eventually sued by Howard's widow? Just a little bit would have been nice to know. But hey, at least we got all those 'edgy' and 'artsy' opening scenes!

by Anonymousreply 188August 22, 2022 3:16 PM

I miss it 😔

by Anonymousreply 189August 23, 2022 2:29 AM

Coming in late 2023

𝑊ℎ𝑜'𝑙𝑙 𝐶𝑎𝑙𝑙 𝐻𝑢𝑒𝑙𝑙

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190August 23, 2022 3:13 AM

[QUOTE] We also deserved to know just a tiny bit more about Kim's long-term fate. Did she return to legal practice? Did she go back to Florida or stay in NM? Was she eventually sued by Howard's widow? Just a little bit would have been nice to know.

Maybe these questions will be answered later, R188.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191August 23, 2022 3:42 PM

Coming soon to AMC: KIM WEXLER FOR THE DEFENSE!!! (Especially if she wins that Emmy)

by Anonymousreply 192August 23, 2022 4:45 PM

R188, as has been explained before in this thread, the black and white choice was not artsy or twee, it was deliberately done to show the final timeline and Saul's ending. With multiple timelines in play, it was helpful to be able to differentiate between them.

by Anonymousreply 193August 23, 2022 5:12 PM

If he doesn’t get it by now, R193, he never will.

by Anonymousreply 194August 23, 2022 10:54 PM

Vince Gilligan has the hots for Rhea, I have seen him remark on her looks a few times and he recently referred to her as a MILF when she had the scene with Jesse.

by Anonymousreply 195August 24, 2022 1:07 AM

The more I think of it the more I like my 𝑊ℎ𝑜'𝑙𝑙 𝐶𝑎𝑙𝑙 𝐻𝑢𝑒𝑙𝑙 idea

by Anonymousreply 196August 24, 2022 1:17 AM

Sorry, but a spinoff with Kim strikes me as a mistake. A prequel? No. A sequel, where she's an advocate for the powerless? And then returns to a life of crime? Please no.

by Anonymousreply 197August 24, 2022 2:43 AM

Too bad Nacho died... a spin off where he becomes a high-priced escort for Russian oligarchs.... and send money to his Pops every week....

by Anonymousreply 198August 24, 2022 2:48 AM

[quote]Sorry, but a spinoff with Kim strikes me as a mistake. A prequel? No. A sequel, where she's an advocate for the powerless? And then returns to a life of crime? Please no.

She wouldn't necessarily have to return to crime. Maybe it could be a series dealing with her rebuilding her life, or already having done so (in whatever occupation), and new threats could be introduced. I'm not sure what exactly I'd like the shape of that to take, but there's a lot of open road.

I'd rather a sequel than a prequel, personally. Kim was supposed to be mid-thirties in the main part, early forties in the Florida years, so Rhea S. was always playing younger. It worked well enough. But if they're going to go back before her HHM years, and they keep the same actress (whom most BCS/Kim fans probably would want as part of the deal), it would be like the Jesse and Walt scenes from BCS for an entire series.

by Anonymousreply 199August 24, 2022 4:41 AM

I think we’d all prefer her returning to crime. There needs to be a new crime lord.

by Anonymousreply 200August 24, 2022 10:00 AM

[quote]I think we’d all prefer her returning to crime. There needs to be a new crime lord.

Hmmm... a middle-aged blonde woman who dives deep into the criminal underworld. Oooh, how fun!

*perky, cheerful smile melts into death stare*

STAY IN YOUR LANE, KIM.

by Anonymousreply 201August 24, 2022 12:43 PM

Better Call Saul kill count

Total - 66

Season 1 - 4

Season 2 - 4

Season 3 - 5

Season 4 - 36

Season 5 - 17

Season 6 - 22

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202August 25, 2022 5:06 AM

[quote]as has been explained before in this thread, the black and white choice was not artsy or twee, it was deliberately done to show the final timeline and Saul's ending. With multiple timelines in play, it was helpful to be able to differentiate between them.

This morning I watched a long Gilligan interview with Rich Eisen (on YouTube), and Eisen asked him why the 2010 stuff was in black and white. He said it was partly for the reason above (to make clear what part of the timeline we're in), and also, he and Peter Gould are film buffs, love B&W, find it beautiful. A lot of people do, as evidenced by the number of high-profile, acclaimed films just in the last few years that have gone that way (Roma, Cold War, The Lighthouse, Mank, Belfast, The Tragedy of Macbeth, C'mon C'mon, Passing, etc.).

by Anonymousreply 203August 25, 2022 5:33 AM

Rhea was great as Kim but I’m sick of people blaming Saul for all the crimes and she’s some saint who just loved the wrong guy. She was right there going along with it so why shouldn’t she be in jail as well? They stole, cheated and killed. Both plotted and both were guilty.

by Anonymousreply 204August 30, 2022 2:25 PM

[quote]She was right there going along with it so why shouldn’t she be in jail as well?

He was prosecuted for his involvement in Walt’s meth empire. She had nothing to do with that.

by Anonymousreply 205August 30, 2022 2:39 PM

[QUOTE] Better Call Saul kill count

[QUOTE]Season 6 - 22

Make that kill count 23, because my heart’s been dead ever since BCS ended.

by Anonymousreply 206August 30, 2022 3:47 PM

I am usually a few weeks behind on shows and BCS is no exception. Just watched “Saul Gone” tonight.

While I liked the finale and appreciate it for being a strong wrap-up, I feel it was a bit hypocritical of Gillian to wrap the series as he did. I could actually feel it coming starting in episode 12 — the very harsh tonal shift in Jimmy’s personality. He’d always been a cad, and a hustler, but a loveable one. And of course that was a huge part of the enjoyment of the show. His cons were a major source of the show’s enjoyment. Where would BCS have been without them?

But then, in ep 12, that took a strange turn — Jimmy is scamming a cancer victim, possibly even assaulting him to get out of his home — Christ, he’s even shown considering strangling an old woman. When I saw THAT, I knew Gilligan was going to pull a fast one on us. And sure enough, he did.

Gilligan was perfectly happy to have Slippin Jimmy be the show’s prime engine of storytelling, to provide us with entertainment and thrills, for six seasons, but then he needed to dutifully push Jimmy off a cliff at the end, to give us a heavy, moralistic “crime doesn’t pay” message. (Crime does pay though — it kept Gilligan and his cast and crew gainfully employed for seven years.)

Yes, of course, it’s understood that “Saul” did all sorts of dreadful things in BB, but this show was not BB, and the Jimmy/Saul we have in BCS is not the Saul from BB — at all. The fact that he had to be crucified to serve some larger narrative seems to me like quite a cop-out, and to be perfectly frank, a bit of a betrayal of a loyal audience who had some to love this much-more-human Saul, and the Jimmy and Kim couple.

Still a great show, maybe one of the greatest ever.

by Anonymousreply 207September 7, 2022 2:01 AM

But the Gene/Saul we see in the Omaha scenes IS th Saul we saw in BB.

by Anonymousreply 208September 7, 2022 2:07 AM

I never liked any of the incarnations of the guy. He was a crook and abetted murderers and pushers.

by Anonymousreply 209September 7, 2022 2:09 AM

Well then you’re someone who likely would not have watched the show, r209.

(And of course that’s not all he was. He was also the guy who discovered the Sandpiper abuse of his elderly clients.)

by Anonymousreply 210September 7, 2022 2:20 AM

[quote] Better Call Saul: The Series Finale

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211September 7, 2022 2:37 AM

[quote]Still a great show, maybe one of the greatest ever.

I agree, but it's more Peter Gould's triumph than Vince Gilligan's. Gilligan points out at every opportunity that he (Gilligan) wasn't involved in seasons 3 through 5 at all unless he was directing an episode. He did come back to help oversee the last season, but that final episode, "Saul Gone," was all Gould.

by Anonymousreply 212September 7, 2022 5:11 AM

I’m never gonna have another show again. I think this was the last one. All I do now is watch old shit.

by Anonymousreply 213September 7, 2022 6:24 AM

r210, I watched every single episode; some twice. Villains are fascinating if rendered as brilliantly as Saul was (also Walter White, Tony Soprano, etc.). Still wanted to see all of them punished.

by Anonymousreply 214September 7, 2022 12:00 PM

I just stupidly rewatched BB (to refresh my memory after Saul's ending). I wish I didn't. This universe is depressing AF - I felt a strong sense of despair when it ended. Same with El Camino, even though Jesse got the ending he deserved.

Watching people careening towards their (completely avoidable) self destruction gives me heart burn now. I didn't feel that way about it when I first watched it. I think I'd feel the same way about the Sopranos today.

I also found WW to be a far more contemptible and unsympathetic character than when I first watched BB. Funny how our tastes change.

by Anonymousreply 215September 7, 2022 12:17 PM

Repeated rewatches will definitely change your perspective about the anti-heroes in these dramas. The more I rewatch The Sopranos (and it’s something I do at least once a year), the more I see how despicable Tony was, especially toward the series’ end. Something about binge watching significantly reduces the compulsion to root for these psychopaths.

by Anonymousreply 216September 7, 2022 1:34 PM

WW R216, agreed and very insightful. The binge element lends a different, I'd say clearer view of these characters.

by Anonymousreply 217September 8, 2022 2:32 AM

[quote] I also found WW to be a far more contemptible and unsympathetic character than when I first watched BB. Funny how our tastes change.

I was just thinking about rewatching Breaking Bad, but now I fear I’ll have the same reaction that you did.

by Anonymousreply 218September 8, 2022 11:00 AM

You would. Knowing where a character is going makes it impossible to get to know him as he was “before” he breaks

by Anonymousreply 219September 8, 2022 3:29 PM

This could be really good...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220September 9, 2022 5:48 PM

WHOOPS they lost in their Emmy categories

by Anonymousreply 221September 13, 2022 5:30 AM

Why was the widow painted as being so grieving when her annoying husband had been relegated to sleeping in the guest house? Now she gets everything and doesn’t even have to divorce.

by Anonymousreply 222September 13, 2022 5:41 AM

She probably did love him at one time. When someone dies suddenly and you're estranged or semi-estranged, it makes you think, you know...that's it. No fixing it, ever. The last conversation we had (which probably was another on the level of the one time we saw them together) is where it all ends.

So I don't question her grief, but I don't know if the writers necessarily wanted us to like Cheryl. She had, what, three scenes in 62 episodes, all in the final season? People speculated for years that Howard might be gay. Like all good supporting characters, he had his ups and downs going on out of view.

by Anonymousreply 223September 13, 2022 7:29 AM

Rhea Seehorn was ROBBED of that Emmy!

No idea why this show garnered so many nominations and never won?

by Anonymousreply 224September 13, 2022 5:31 PM

They have no respect for BCS. Should’ve known it would get snubbed.

by Anonymousreply 225September 13, 2022 7:12 PM

Doesn't Rhea have another chance next year?

by Anonymousreply 226September 13, 2022 8:12 PM

She does, as does the cast and show.

by Anonymousreply 227September 13, 2022 9:18 PM

😂 Give me a break. You think they’re going to honor the show a year after it ends? There will be so many current running programs with buzz, including the next season of Succession. I guaran-goddamn-tee that BCS won’t be nominated for anything.

by Anonymousreply 228September 13, 2022 9:45 PM

Regarding the Emmys, I really like "Succession" but I honestly think that "Better Call Saul" and, for that matter, "Ozark" are on another higher level. Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 229September 15, 2022 4:38 PM

Very much enjoyed the whole series. That Jimmy lives, yet forever incarcerated, and Kim walks, yet likely will be sued into penury is just and satisfying. They both have come to terms with their demons and must now live with them, just as we do

by Anonymousreply 230September 19, 2022 11:27 AM

[QUOTE] Regarding the Emmys, I really like "Succession" but I honestly think that "Better Call Saul" and, for that matter, "Ozark" are on another higher level. Oh well.

Succession gets a lot of buzz among the Hollywood types. BCS never caught on like that.

by Anonymousreply 231September 19, 2022 1:25 PM

why i don't know

by Anonymousreply 232September 19, 2022 5:29 PM

Perfect series

by Anonymousreply 233September 20, 2022 11:45 AM

Agreed, R233. It far exceeded my expectations.

by Anonymousreply 234September 20, 2022 4:24 PM

I have watched the final scene between Jimmy and Carol Burnett many times. It never fails to give me chills when he snaps that wire in his hands as he approaches her. It bugs the hell out of me that Rhea hasn’t won an Emmy for her work on this show, but I am sure that Carol Burnett will win one next year.

by Anonymousreply 235September 21, 2022 9:24 AM

I agree. She’s been interviewed on that scene and says it’s something she considered more important than anything else. Interesting that both actors started out in comedy variety shows

by Anonymousreply 236September 21, 2022 11:41 AM

Vince Gillian is making a series starring Rhea Seehorn (but it’s not BCS related) for Apple TV.

by Anonymousreply 237September 23, 2022 11:04 AM

I read the rumor, is that really true? she really is the most compelling character, and the whole universe's most compelling female character

by Anonymousreply 238September 23, 2022 11:45 AM

It's true. This has some detail about the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239September 23, 2022 11:48 AM

oh, wow, but it might not be related to the "BB" universe

by Anonymousreply 240September 23, 2022 11:51 AM

AMC must be pissed. They desperately needed that Kim Wexler spin-off. And frankly, so did we!

by Anonymousreply 241September 23, 2022 12:50 PM

I'm excited

by Anonymousreply 242September 23, 2022 1:00 PM

Rhea Seehorn says she expected Kim to die last season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243December 27, 2022 12:30 AM

Still haven’t found a show to replace BCS. The hole in my heart remains.

by Anonymousreply 244July 30, 2023 11:47 PM

Better Call Saul sets record for most Emmy losses ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245January 16, 2024 2:09 PM

that sucks.Rhea Seehorn should have won

by Anonymousreply 246January 16, 2024 2:12 PM

I agree r246. She was magnificent in this show.

by Anonymousreply 247January 16, 2024 2:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!