Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

THEATRE GOSSIP #482: Jerry Herman dragged his crippled ass to the Kennedy Center Honors and so can Liza

481 linked below

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 604July 27, 2022 12:37 AM

Harsh OP

by Anonymousreply 1July 21, 2022 11:01 PM

well dammit, start your own 482!

by Anonymousreply 2July 21, 2022 11:08 PM

Okay, well.

Ya got us here, OP.

So there's that.

by Anonymousreply 3July 21, 2022 11:17 PM

Is there a permanent committee that chooses the KCH? Or does it change annually? Maybe these folks just aren't into Liza. Simple as that.

by Anonymousreply 4July 21, 2022 11:51 PM

Let me tell you something about Liza as of late... Girl likes to party and hold court. I saw this at her last appearance with Michael Feinstein a few weeks ago. She walked out with the help of 2 guys and sat and sang her ballad. Afterwards she smoked and drank backstage with friends and told stories by the piano. There's tons of video clips of her all over TikTok. There's plenty of parties happening for the KC Honoree's. Liza has done a lot for HIV research and a hell of a lot for dancers and the broadway community. Give the legend her flowers while she's alive. Maybe she turned them down because it doesn't pay?

by Anonymousreply 5July 21, 2022 11:52 PM

Shirley MacLaine KCH tribute with Kathy Bates, Sutton Foster, etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 22, 2022 12:04 AM

Great thread title OP, LOL!

by Anonymousreply 7July 22, 2022 12:05 AM

I wish Betty Buckley would get an honor so that someone could sing “And Eve Was Weak” in front of Joe and Dr. Jill Biden. They go in thinking they would hear peppy showtunes and you hear the slow intro of French horn…then…

I would have camera closeups on them during

“He Will Burn Youuuu!”

by Anonymousreply 8July 22, 2022 12:12 AM

OP, I hate nearly every Theatre Gossip thread title that comes along, and yours...

does not suck.

by Anonymousreply 9July 22, 2022 12:24 AM

Link to previous thread, which is grayed out above and doesn't appear, for me, anyway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 22, 2022 1:59 AM

Folks in the know, is there any chance of the current West End productions of Cabaret or Grease transferring to Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 11July 22, 2022 2:11 AM

Oh please, the last thing Broadway needs is another fucking revival of either of those 2 shows.

by Anonymousreply 12July 22, 2022 2:14 AM

What is Aaron Tveit's next venture?

by Anonymousreply 13July 22, 2022 2:23 AM

Who's heading to the Berkshires in August to see A Little Night Music?

by Anonymousreply 14July 22, 2022 2:24 AM

I'm heading there next week to see the trans/all female Most Happy Fella!

by Anonymousreply 15July 22, 2022 2:26 AM

[quote]Who's heading to the Berkshires in August to see A Little Night Music?

However does please report here.

I'm going to step on a grenade and admit that I like Sierra Boggess and I think in a few more years she would make a great Desiree. In her belt voice she has a tendency to go sharp, she needs to work on that, but she's got great acting chops and deserves to try some of the juicy mature roles.

by Anonymousreply 16July 22, 2022 4:44 AM

Oops

I meant WHOEVER

by Anonymousreply 17July 22, 2022 4:45 AM

Whomever

by Anonymousreply 18July 22, 2022 4:53 AM

I wish Cabaret, Grease, Gypsy and A Little Night Music had never seen the light of night. Then we wouldn't be subjected to constant revivals of them. I know I don't have to go but just hearing about them coming back seems like something out of a nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 19July 22, 2022 5:13 AM

[quote]Oops

[quote]I meant WHOEVER

[quote]Whomever

"Whoever does" is correct.

by Anonymousreply 20July 22, 2022 6:13 AM

I assumed Liza had one. That's disgraceful.

Or should I say, dischgraschful?

by Anonymousreply 21July 22, 2022 6:20 AM

Liza has friends, close ones, on the Kennedy Center's Special Honors Advisory Committee, the group that makes the recommendations of honorees. It truly is a mystery why she hasn't been recognized.

by Anonymousreply 22July 22, 2022 9:51 AM

[quote] I wish Cabaret, Grease, Gypsy and A Little Night Music had never seen the light of night. Then we wouldn't be subjected to constant revivals of them.

I never need to see Grease again on stage or screen. But as for the others you mention, I would say American theatre has certain masterworks, both plays and musicals, that are part of our contribution to the tradition as an art form. Major opera companies revive La boheme, Carmen, Magic Flute or La Traviata every year. Ballet companies will not go a season without a Swan Lake, Giselle, The Nutcracker or Romeo and Juliet. In London, the major Shakespeare plays are always in revival year after year and no one says "Hamlet again?" We too have our great plays and musicals that are part of the canon. It's Streetcar, Salesman, Glass Menagerie, Long Day's Journey, or View from the Bridge on the play side, and I suppose about a dozen major musicals that are frequently in revival. I actually do not think Little Night Music is overdone, compared with some of the other Sondheim titles. Cabaret and Gypsy certainly are revived a lot - but if some great female star wants to take on Gypsy, why not? Cabaret, for me, is a miracle, and I'll see it whenever and wherever it is done. The new London production appealed to me a lot more than the sledgehammer Mendes version.

by Anonymousreply 23July 22, 2022 10:19 AM

I wish there was a great revival of the original Prince CABARET. Not a literal revival of that production but one that went back to that libretto. I still vividly remember seeing Prince's production 4 times with Lotte Lenya when I was in high school.

by Anonymousreply 24July 22, 2022 12:49 PM

CABARET is definitely coming over.

by Anonymousreply 25July 22, 2022 1:00 PM

Every singer I know is submitting a self tape for SWEENEY

by Anonymousreply 26July 22, 2022 1:00 PM

Alex Newell is Johannx. Peppermint is Beggar Person.

by Anonymousreply 27July 22, 2022 1:06 PM

I wouldn't mind the same R24. Perhaps with the rewrite from the Prince revival in the 80s making Cliff bisexual.

Some of the fabric of the original Cabaret has been lost with the revivals. I could make a case for the necessity of "The Telephone Song," with its depiction of easy and open sexuality, which included a gay couple in the original staging. It was much more than just an arbitrary dance number - it adds to the depiction of Berlin 1929. Or "Meeskite," often dismissed as just specialty material for Jack Gilford, when it builds the dread of the party scene that ends Act 1, where Herr Schultz thinks he's among friends, but doesn't realize that the song's Yiddishisms brands him as the "other." I also don't think the show needs the pile-up of Act 1 songs for Sally that started with the Mendes production. You don't need "Don't Tell Mama" and "Mein Herr," much as I love them both. But even as I question some of the things that have been done to Cabaret, it's still one of the most audacious shows of the 20th century.

by Anonymousreply 28July 22, 2022 1:10 PM

The Prince revival of Cabaret was deadly and dull.

by Anonymousreply 29July 22, 2022 1:29 PM

[quote] The Prince revival of Cabaret was deadly and dull.

So what?

by Anonymousreply 30July 22, 2022 1:33 PM

r30

see r24 , you dolt

by Anonymousreply 31July 22, 2022 1:44 PM

R28, we do need “Don’t Tell Mama.” It’s our first intro to Sally and it shows us she’s high energy and free wheeling. I agree we don’t need “Mein Herr.” I go back and forth between “Maybe This Time.” Cabaret has always been Act 1 top heavy. I think in the original rendering Act 1 runs 90 minutes and Act 2 runs 30 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 32July 22, 2022 1:46 PM

R31, turn in your gay card.

by Anonymousreply 33July 22, 2022 1:51 PM

"Maybe This Time" has always seemed to be a typical mid-century show ballad shoehorned into the film, where all of her other songs at least have the flavor of the period. Love the song, love Liza's performance, but would not include it onstage. (I do think the addition of I Don't Care Much, cut from the original, could work.)

by Anonymousreply 34July 22, 2022 1:54 PM

Oh sorry, R31. I didn't realize I was dealing with the Kevin Sessums psychotic.

All I suggested keeping from the Prince revival version is the rewrite that made Cliff bisexual, which they didn't do in the original production. Probably a bridge too far at the time.

by Anonymousreply 35July 22, 2022 1:54 PM

People saying “Maybe this time” not needed has obviously never seen a revival of Grease with an audience where they don’t perform “Hopelessly devoted to you” and “You’re the One that I want”

Audiences get ANGRY when they don’t hear the songs they love

by Anonymousreply 36July 22, 2022 2:09 PM

Anyone see THE KITE RUNNER? Thoughts?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 22, 2022 2:26 PM

DL fave Joanna Gleason and her hawt son at 54 Below!

Who's had him?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38July 22, 2022 2:30 PM

I haven't seen it, but this review caught my attention this morning. FYI, there are spoilers throughout it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 22, 2022 2:30 PM

I don’t know anything about The Kite Runner, but I don’t think groomer obsessed bigots go anywhere near Broadway or have any interest in drama or art, so it’s safe to say they won’t love it.

by Anonymousreply 40July 22, 2022 2:32 PM

Yikes. Who exactly is the audience for THE KITE RUNNER?

I'll take a pass.

by Anonymousreply 41July 22, 2022 2:45 PM

I think it's just people who've read the book, since it was a bestseller. Just another case of IP being exploited. The book was a hit, so some people saw an opportunity to make more money off of it.

by Anonymousreply 42July 22, 2022 2:47 PM

"My Man" isn't in the stage show, but here's Lea doing her Barbra impression.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43July 22, 2022 2:52 PM

Is she really going to imitate all of Streisand's phrasing in FG?

by Anonymousreply 44July 22, 2022 2:57 PM

Maybe This Time wasn't written for either the show or the film. Kander and Ebb wrote it in the early 60s for Kay Ballard to use in her club act. It became a staple on the NYC cabaret circuit and Liza had recorded it twice. When Fosse wanted more material for Liza, it was a natural fit.

by Anonymousreply 45July 22, 2022 2:59 PM

r44, SPOILER: Yes.

by Anonymousreply 46July 22, 2022 3:00 PM

The play of "The Kite Runner" began as a faculty-directed student-acted production done by the playwright/adapter Matt Spangler at San Jose State, where he teaches. I've known Matt for over twenty years and he is a superb playwright and director and, most relevant to the charges above, not remotely homophobic in his professional and personal life. I will confess I've never been a huge fan of the novel itself, but Matt is very committed to the welfare of immigrants and to the production of good art (he has written a one-man script called "Albatross," based on the Coleridge poem and is a Joyce scholar, as well), and this has been a passion project of his for years--so good on him, as an academic NOT at an Ivy or Northwestern who got a script on Broadway. He's one of the nicest people I know. Does that make this play or production merit-worthy? Not in and of itself and I haven't seen it or read the script (though hope to get to the production). I think the critic's beef should be with the source novel--from what I can tell, Matt's adaptation is extremely faithful to it. (Some critics might say too faithful, as he uses the conventions of chamber/narrative theatre meticulously).

by Anonymousreply 47July 22, 2022 3:25 PM

Could the divine soul who rushes to close the end of threads with 7 posts in a row PERHAPS remember to put a link to the new thread as ONE of those posts?

by Anonymousreply 48July 22, 2022 4:12 PM

[quote] he is a superb playwright and director

But is he hot?

by Anonymousreply 49July 22, 2022 4:13 PM

[quote] Could the divine soul who rushes to close the end of threads with 7 posts in a row PERHAPS remember to put a link to the new thread as ONE of those posts?

Surely you understand that most times a new thread is not created until the old one closes.

by Anonymousreply 50July 22, 2022 4:24 PM

I'm not r48, but r50, that's the point. The best way to do it is to start a new thread before the old one closes and post a link before the rush of BAJOUR! posts close out the thread so people know where to go next. When it doesn't happen, it often results in a multiple new threads since new ones don't come up in a search yet (as we saw with the four 479s).

by Anonymousreply 51July 22, 2022 4:43 PM

Yes, but then you get some pain in the ass who creates a new thread when we still have 75 posts to go.

by Anonymousreply 52July 22, 2022 4:48 PM

Got my tickets for A Man Of No Importance yesterday by joining CSC. Without John Doyle running the place, there could be some worthwhile shows next season after AMONI.

by Anonymousreply 53July 22, 2022 4:55 PM

r52 So what? Just because a new thread is created doesn't mean you have to move to it until the old one is done.

Anyway the point is academic, since in this case the idiot filling the thread up with Bajour in the last thread is also the OP of this thread.

by Anonymousreply 54July 22, 2022 4:57 PM

Did Kander & Ebb know that Kaye was a lady lover when they wrote Maybe This Time?

Liza made it work as the girl who had so many issues that she couldn’t keep a man.

Maybe Kaye couldn’t keep make relationships because men weren’t her thing? The song also seems too vulnerable for Kaye.

by Anonymousreply 55July 22, 2022 5:18 PM

Danny Kaye? Kaye Thompson? Kaye Ballard?

Who are you talking about? The character is named Sally Bowles.

by Anonymousreply 56July 22, 2022 5:26 PM

Lea Michele is doing a concert here in Boston this Sunday. Website said it’s sold out.

by Anonymousreply 57July 22, 2022 5:34 PM

Kaye Ballard does vulnerable with this song from the musical "Carnival"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58July 22, 2022 5:40 PM

When Kaye Ballard and Liz Smith bumped pussies, it looked like the tuna steak display at the seafood market.

by Anonymousreply 59July 22, 2022 5:41 PM

[Quote] Danny Kaye? Kaye Thompson? Kaye Ballard? Who are you talking about? The character is named Sally Bowles

Read instead of shooting off your sassy mouth r56. See r45.

by Anonymousreply 60July 22, 2022 5:44 PM

R57, The venue where she's performing, City Winery, has a seating capacity of just 100.

by Anonymousreply 61July 22, 2022 6:35 PM

[quote]Matt is very committed to the welfare of immigrants and to the production of good art (he has written a one-man script called "Albatross," based on the Coleridge poem

Nobody loves an "Albatross."

by Anonymousreply 62July 22, 2022 6:36 PM

[quote]Kander and Ebb wrote it in the early 60s for Kay Ballard to use in her club act.

She was only "Kay" Ballard during the short run of "Molly."

by Anonymousreply 63July 22, 2022 6:39 PM

R63, How odd.

by Anonymousreply 64July 22, 2022 6:40 PM

I concur.

by Anonymousreply 65July 22, 2022 6:51 PM

Kaye was momentarily under the spell of a psychic/numerologist, and that’s who told he she needed to drop the “e” from her name. Kaye did, but then realized what bullshit it was and went back to “Kaye”.

by Anonymousreply 66July 22, 2022 7:01 PM

[quote]We do need “Don’t Tell Mama.” It’s our first intro to Sally and it shows us she’s high energy and free wheeling. I agree we don’t need “Mein Herr.” I go back and forth between “Maybe This Time.”

The stage version doesn't need, and suffers from the inclusion of, "Mein Herr" and "Maybe This Time." The only reason those songs were included in the Mendes revival was not to disappoint people who only know CABARET from the movie and therefore expect to hear those songs.

by Anonymousreply 67July 22, 2022 7:07 PM

A lot of prickly, unhappy queens on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 68July 22, 2022 7:27 PM

Did Sondheim even say no to any new concept for one of his shows? Hammerstein, his mentor, was famous for turning down new concepts.

by Anonymousreply 69July 22, 2022 7:35 PM

I've been on other continuous threads and the key is to not have anyone start a new one until the old one is past 580 or so.

I get that this one moves fast, though, so I guess that's easier said than done.

by Anonymousreply 70July 22, 2022 7:35 PM

[quote]Did Sondheim even say no to any new concept for one of his shows? Hammerstein, his mentor, was famous for turning down new concepts.

He reportedly said not to a production of COMPANY with a gay male Bobby, directed by Billy Porter (!!!!), that was tried out some years ago. I think it was done as a workshop and then was not allowed to go forward.

by Anonymousreply 71July 22, 2022 7:42 PM

[quote]The only reason those songs were included in the Mendes revival was not to disappoint people who only know CABARET from the movie and therefore expect to hear those songs.

Somehow I doubt that he was trying to please those people, given the performance he allowed from Horrocks, and the fact it was at the Donmar.

by Anonymousreply 72July 22, 2022 7:46 PM

I actually likes Horrocks in the Donnie Cabaret. I like that kind of thing though. I would rather that…than a paint by numbers Sally where you know what she’s going to to do before she opens her mouth.

by Anonymousreply 73July 22, 2022 7:50 PM

There was an all-male FORUM that fell apart, too, with the wonderful Christopher Fitzgerald as Pseudolus. Does anyone know why? Did Sondheim nix it?

by Anonymousreply 74July 22, 2022 7:51 PM

r73 Oh I agree, I just meant the kind of people annoyed at not hearing the song from the film aren't likely to get her performance either

by Anonymousreply 75July 22, 2022 8:05 PM

[quote]There was an all-male FORUM that fell apart, too, with the wonderful Christopher Fitzgerald as Pseudolus. Does anyone know why? Did Sondheim nix it?

I don't think it "fell apart." I believe there was a tour or mini-tour of the production. I saw it in New Jersey and thought it was delightful overall.

by Anonymousreply 76July 22, 2022 8:17 PM

I saw an interview with Natasha Richardson around the time Cabaret opened and she said it was her suggestion to add Maybe This Time to the Roundabout revival.

by Anonymousreply 77July 22, 2022 8:19 PM

r70, that's usually the case here too (r52 is full of it). Even then people will complain. I started one at r590 a few threads back and the first poster in the new thread said, "Started this a little early, didn't you?" Someone's always going to bitch.

by Anonymousreply 78July 22, 2022 8:53 PM

[quote]I saw an interview with Natasha Richardson around the time Cabaret opened and she said it was her suggestion to add Maybe This Time to the Roundabout revival.

Kristin Chenoweth did this with "You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown." In the original show, there is a character called Patty who is just glorified chorus. When they did the revival, they decided they needed another prominent female besides Lucy. Chenoweth said she went into the audition and they didn't yet have her named and she said, "Just make the character Sally." I'm sure the producers rolled their eyes and thought, "We're way ahead of you."

by Anonymousreply 79July 22, 2022 9:00 PM

Directed by Funny Girl hack Michael Mayer ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

by Anonymousreply 80July 22, 2022 9:10 PM

The all-male FORUM was originally done at Williamstown and then went on to Two River Theatre in NJ. It was directed and conceived by Jessica Stone who directed the new musical of KIMBERLY AKIMBO. It starred her hubbie Chris Fitzgerald and Michael Urie as well as some other great young actors whose names I'm blanking on. So, besides being all male it was also cast relatively young instead of with the usual alta cockers which brought a breath of fresh air.

I didn't see it....just heard great things. In any case, I don't think Sondheim nixed it going forward.

by Anonymousreply 81July 22, 2022 9:15 PM

There was some mention in the previous thread about Lapine and Andre Bishop being lovers . What about Lapine and Sondheim in the 80s?

by Anonymousreply 82July 22, 2022 9:22 PM

Apparently, the Roundabout wanted to transfer that all-male FORUM but insisted that Stone recast some of it, including her husband who played Pseudolus, and she refused and they dropped it. Fucking Roundabout!

by Anonymousreply 83July 22, 2022 9:31 PM

I wouldn't want to be in the audience of a production of The Sound of Music where they don't include Something Good.

by Anonymousreply 84July 22, 2022 9:40 PM

r82

Hmm.. that never occurred to me that SOndheim and Lapine could be lovers... Steve seemed so asexual... who did Steve have sex with? Hal, Arthur, Leonard?

by Anonymousreply 85July 22, 2022 9:42 PM

[quote]Steve seemed so asexual... who did Steve have sex with? Hal, Arthur, Leonard?

Not to mention the third chorus boy from the left.

by Anonymousreply 86July 22, 2022 9:44 PM

[Quote] saw an interview with Natasha Richardson around the time Cabaret opened and she said it was her suggestion to add Maybe This Time to the Roundabout revival.

And then she died

by Anonymousreply 87July 22, 2022 9:45 PM

Sonndheim and Anthony Perkins were boyfriends in the late 60s/early 70s. Perkins was offered the direction of the 11 short one act plays Company is based on and took them to Sondheim for his opinion. Sondheim showed them to Hal Prince. Originally Perkins was to play Bobby but he dropped out and was replaced by Dean Jones.

by Anonymousreply 88July 22, 2022 10:02 PM

'who did Steve have sex with? Hal, Arthur, Leonard?'

I would have slept with Hal. He lived the life of a heterosexual but according to posters here he was bi. I'd like to think so but I have never heard of any man who slept with him.

by Anonymousreply 89July 22, 2022 10:03 PM

Hal Prince?

Silver daddy Hal Prince?

I'd have ridden his dick until it snapped off in my asshole.

by Anonymousreply 90July 22, 2022 10:04 PM

Sondheim and Andrew Lloyd Webber were lovers.

by Anonymousreply 91July 22, 2022 10:05 PM

Who put that grin on Hal Prince’s face?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92July 22, 2022 10:07 PM

Sondheim comes across as completely asexual

by Anonymousreply 93July 22, 2022 11:33 PM

Larry Fuller, Michael Bennett, Victor Garber...

by Anonymousreply 94July 22, 2022 11:37 PM

Hal Prince once groped an ex-lover of mine.

by Anonymousreply 95July 23, 2022 12:21 AM

and your ex should be gropeful for that

by Anonymousreply 96July 23, 2022 12:23 AM

And then he died.

by Anonymousreply 97July 23, 2022 12:23 AM

Larry Fuller was with Prince at some point. Sondheim had him too?

Definitely not Arthur, although Arthur may have wanted people to think so.

by Anonymousreply 98July 23, 2022 12:28 AM

Who the fuck would want any part of that piece of shit Arthur?

by Anonymousreply 99July 23, 2022 12:33 AM

I lived to regret it, R99.

by Anonymousreply 100July 23, 2022 1:21 AM

[quote] who did Steve have sex with?

Check the dungeon?

by Anonymousreply 101July 23, 2022 1:33 AM

Hal Prince cruised 24-year-old me in the lobby of Boston's Shubert Theatre in 1976 where the musical Rex was playing prior to Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 102July 23, 2022 1:37 AM

R91, That premise is less believable than Patti LuPone and ALW being lovers.

by Anonymousreply 103July 23, 2022 1:41 AM

ALW looks like someone who would give guys monkeypox.

by Anonymousreply 104July 23, 2022 1:43 AM

Sweeney with Beanie and Spivey but in their contracts they never have to show up at all.

by Anonymousreply 105July 23, 2022 1:52 AM

Regarding Tony Roberts from the last thread: Ken Davenport could play him in the bio-musical.

by Anonymousreply 106July 23, 2022 1:54 AM

ALW looks like someone who would give monkeys monkeypox.

by Anonymousreply 107July 23, 2022 2:18 AM

Would love to hear proof of the Sondheim-Perkins relationship. Perkins taste leaned toward young pretty men: Tab Hunter, Grover Dale, etc.

by Anonymousreply 108July 23, 2022 2:31 AM

This reminds me of the folklore of Larry Kert's "Who do I have to fuck to get out of Company?" birthday joke and the retort ("The same person you fucked to get into it."). Did Larry fuck Hal or Stephen?

by Anonymousreply 109July 23, 2022 2:35 AM

We are just out of stories

by Anonymousreply 110July 23, 2022 2:43 AM

ha!

by Anonymousreply 111July 23, 2022 2:48 AM

Did I tell you about the time Laurette Taylor hit me in the head with a fondue pot?

by Anonymousreply 112July 23, 2022 3:06 AM

Oh, that’s right. More info, please, on Tony Roberts’s huge cock.

by Anonymousreply 113July 23, 2022 3:12 AM

[quote]Billy Boy, please tell me you didn't travel all the way to San Francisco just to take in that production of Follies?!

The answer is yes, sort of... It was my husband’s birthday, and he let me know a few weeks in advance that what he wanted was to go to SF to see this production of Follies. It’s his favorite show, and he actually has a room in our home dedicated to Follies memorabilia. So once I realized that we could get tickets, I decided to take him to SF for what amounted to a long, romantic weekend.

So, here’s my “review” of the San Francisco Playhouse production of FOLLIES. It’s just my humble opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. And understand that I spent much of my career as a musician, composer, orchestrator, arranger, and musical director, so that history influences my point of view. (I apologize for the length of my review.)

As I’ve mentioned, we went to see this production with meager expectations, based on comments and pictures posted on the DL website. The production can best be described as semi-professional, with the four leads being Equity actors and the rest of the cast being non-Equity or locals. The theater is relatively small – about three hundred seats - located on the second floor of a hotel. I’m guessing that before it became a theater, it was the ballroom for the hotel, similar to the old Edison Theatre in New York City.

The proscenium is not very wide, with little wing space or fly space, and the set that greeted us as we went in was certainly less-than-inspiring. Follies takes place in a theater about to be torn down and replaced by a parking lot, so many productions create an eerie, dilapidated environment haunted by the ghosts of past Follies girls. The National Theatre production that many are familiar with captured this beautifully. This SF set piece looked like the lobby of a Spanish-themed movie theatre that shows art films, certainly not about to be torn down. Again, not a great start to what we hoped would be an exciting evening.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114July 23, 2022 3:15 AM

-2-

BUT, everything quickly changed for us. In bold strokes, let me summarize what didn’t work and what did work:

What Didn’t Work

The costumes were terrible. Probably because of a low budget, these costumes looked like they were off-the-rack or personal clothing of some of the actors. Very amateurish, not appropriate for the period (the 70s and flashback), and definitely not flattering.

The actors were good, but not great. There were no standout performances. I suspect that Natascia Diaz (as Sally) was suffering from exhaustion and laryngitis. I’ve seen her several times before, and this was not Diaz at her best. Her acting was strong, but she struggled through numbers and was pitchy. Chris Vettel as Ben and Anthony Rollins-Mullens as Buddy both sang well. And Maureen McVerry as Phyllis seemed to be channeling Jan Maxwell (not a bad thing to do), but she seemed at least a decade or two older than Sally and definitely not a dancer (think Blythe Danner).

There were no statuesque follies girls to haunt the entire proceedings. Instead, there was an array of what I would call community theater chorus girls - some relatively short, some full-figured – but lacking any semblance of that Las Vegas showgirl look. And the costumes sure didn’t help.

What Did Work

The music was terrific. The seven-piece live band played expertly, using an arrangement that captured the spirit of the piece. I left the theater humming the tunes as if I had heard them for the first time.

The choreography was terrific. I’ve never seen better overall dancing in Follies except for Michael Bennet’s original staging. I’ll give more details later.

The direction was inspired. Bill English approached the piece with both a reverence for the original material and an understanding of what could and should be improved. He put everything back on the table from the original production. He carefully edited and added as needed. He took his less-than-ideal cast and put them into a perfectly conceived production – worthy of our attention. Again, more detail to follow.

What we thought would be bad scenery turned out to work exceptionally well. First - because of the narrowness of the stage - the cast was forced into a relatively confined space that made it seem like a real party – crowded and noisy. Beautiful Girls, for instance, filled the stage, even though there were probably only eight ladies. And while the stage was narrow, it was very deep. AND it had a full turntable! The chintzy opening set quickly revolved to reveal a much more cavernous space, which the director and the set designer used to whisk us to various corners of the theater. It reminded me of the National Theater turntable, but on that narrow SF Playhouse stage, it had much more of an impact. Finally, when needed, the scenery could be moved to the back of the stage, allowing a lot of room for some exciting dance numbers.

by Anonymousreply 115July 23, 2022 3:15 AM

-3-

Some of the highlights for me included:

The director and choreographer improved many numbers by adding dancers to them. For instance, in Ah! Paree!, he gave Solange two comic French sailor dancers to work with during the number. It was pretty funny and perhaps the best-staged version of this number I’ve ever seen. It perfectly matched The Whitmans with their Rain On The Roof choreography and added balance when both groups joined Hattie for Broadway Baby. You didn’t leave the moment feeling like Solange and The Whitmans had intruded on Hattie’s finale. It worked.

The Right Girl was originally conceived as a song and dance number for Gene Nelson (who was terrific in the original Broadway production). Here, the director pairs Buddy and Young Buddy, allowing older, wiser Buddy to choreographically challenge Young Buddy, who is waiting for the ‘right girl’ Sally upstairs. The actor playing Young Buddy was a terrific dancer, and the two paired off in a well-performed number. So, again, it worked well.

And the director restored the Bolero! Originally danced by Vincent and Vanessa, here he gave it to The Whitmans, who danced the number shadowed by their young ghosts. Surprisingly, the two older actors playing the Whitmans were terrific dancers and wowed us with their agility in what was, once again, perfect choreography. And once again, it worked!

But best of all was their creation (or re-creation) of the original Mirror Mirror number. Of course, it starts with the old gals flanking Stella while she sings Who’s That Woman? I was afraid these seniors wouldn’t make it through one chorus of the number. But boy, was I wrong. They all tapped the entire number... and not some shuffle, hop, shuffle nonsense, but some challenging choreography. And like the original, they were mirrored in the back by their younger selves. Because of the spinning turntable, we could see every perspective of the number, including that crucial moment when the ghosts “break” the mirror and join their older selves in a precision finale that rivaled the Rockettes. They must have worked on this number for months to make it work so well. The audience went crazy with yelling and applause throughout and at the end of the number.

One bit of trivia about the Mirror Mirror number. The actress who played Stella also doubled (for some unknown reason) as Heidi (One More Kiss). I didn’t realize it until I checked the program. So that means that for the first time anywhere, Old Heidi danced in the Mirror number! I’d like to see Regina Resnick do that.

by Anonymousreply 116July 23, 2022 3:16 AM

-4-

There was an intermission added. (I still have mixed feelings about that, but as I get older, my bladder appreciates the pause.) Usually, this interval is done following Two Many Mornings, with Act II starting with The Right Girl. But the director chose to put the intermission following I’m Still Here. It ended the first act on a high, triumphant note, and none of the audience seemed bothered.

Loveland - while sadly costumed - was where the choreographer got to shine. I’ve seen Buddy’s Blues done as a solo, with burlesque girls, with drag queens, etc., but the director chose to portray Sally and Margie as wind-up dolls, complete with giant keys in their back that needed to be turned to get them going. The concept, along with Buddy dancing his way through his life, provided an excellent rendition of the number.

In The Ballad of Lucy & Jesse, the director and choreographer knew they had a non- dancing Phyllis, so yes, they surrounded her with male dancers who lifted and moved her around the stage. But, they also added two female dancers: Lucy and Jesse. So Phyllis gets to explain her dual personality dilemma using the two dancers as her foil. The girls danced well, and the choreography felt like Fosse’s work in Chicago. It worked so well that I forgot that Phyllis couldn’t dance.

And finally, the director’s intermingling of the ghosts with the leads throughout the production was very well done. Lots of almost touching, mouthing the exact words, looks of recognition, and paralleled movements all happening on the small stage worked well and enhanced the story. The only productions that did it better were the original Broadway production and the one at National Theater, where they had a ghost for every character.

I could go on, but I just want to mention one other production that was one of my favorites – perhaps for some of the reasons I liked this one. In 1976, the Equity Library Theater in New York did a production of Follies with a wonderful cast on a tiny stage. It had the same challenges as the SF Playhouse production and triumphed in many of the same ways. Most impressive was doing Follies on a postage stamp stage. Who knew it would work? But it did!

by Anonymousreply 117July 23, 2022 3:16 AM

Thank you for the detailed review, Billy Boy. You're very generous! I'm not sure I could dislike so many aspects of a production and be as positive about it as you are.

by Anonymousreply 118July 23, 2022 3:25 AM

A Broadway transfer was nixed because the Roundabout wanted someone other than Christopher Fitzgerald in the lead? What morons -- I expect that he was wonderful in it.

by Anonymousreply 119July 23, 2022 3:44 AM

r117 - Yes, thank you Billy Boy. I saw that Stella doubled with Heidi. She must have been "the Voice" among the cast. Was Heidi not in Beautiful Girls?

by Anonymousreply 120July 23, 2022 3:50 AM

Roundabout has been run by one massive moron for years.

by Anonymousreply 121July 23, 2022 3:56 AM

[quote] R57 Lea Michele is doing a concert here in Boston this Sunday. Website said it’s sold out.

[quote] R67 The venue where she's performing, City Winery, has a seating capacity of just 100.

I see the little minx is planning her strategy wisely. Hopefully Beanie just skims the headlines.

by Anonymousreply 122July 23, 2022 4:32 AM

[quote{R114 It’s my boyfriend’s favorite show, and he actually has a room in our home dedicated to Follies memorabilia

I am staring at this. Open mouthed.

by Anonymousreply 123July 23, 2022 4:40 AM

I don't have an entire room dedicated to FOLLIES, but the husbear and I do update the seasonal displays of our Madame Alexander collections (in the upstairs extra bedroom).

Last fall we did a whole series of FOLLIES tableaux. They were such a hit with friends that we may bring them back again right before the holiday season kicks off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124July 23, 2022 5:32 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125July 23, 2022 5:35 AM

Liza and I are both waiting for our Kennedy Center Honors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126July 23, 2022 5:40 AM

Same R123. Same. I do not understand the bizarre obsession with this show.

by Anonymousreply 127July 23, 2022 11:01 AM

r113 I only know of a woman he occasionally slept with LONG ago who said he’s big.

by Anonymousreply 128July 23, 2022 11:11 AM

Good times and bum times/I've seen 'em all and my dear/I'm still queer

by Anonymousreply 129July 23, 2022 11:45 AM

But Becket Cook isn't!

by Anonymousreply 130July 23, 2022 11:51 AM

Roundabout only casts *stars* baby.

Or maybe I should say Roundabout miscasts stars.

by Anonymousreply 131July 23, 2022 11:53 AM

[quote]Would love to hear proof of the Sondheim-Perkins relationship.

Decades ago I heard an interview with Perkins where he said he "stayed" with Sondheim [he said in what period, but I forget]. I remember him saying "He was so particular that if there was a sock poking out of a drawer you'd hear about it." I thought it was odd, if Perkins was only a houseguest, that Sondheim was inspecting the neatness of his room. In other words, I thought that was your proof. Am I reading too much in, DL?

by Anonymousreply 132July 23, 2022 12:40 PM

[quote]Am I reading too much in, DL?

On the DL, that is a LITERAL impossibility.

by Anonymousreply 133July 23, 2022 12:41 PM

Wasn’t Hal Prince straight?

by Anonymousreply 134July 23, 2022 1:14 PM

When I was a gayling, I recall seeing pictures of producer Cameron MacIntosh and thinking how hot he was. Now he’s old and fat but he’s still sexy to me.

by Anonymousreply 135July 23, 2022 1:16 PM

Wasn’t Calvin Klein straight? I mean, he married a woman, didn’t he?

by Anonymousreply 136July 23, 2022 1:16 PM

There *is* something kinda sexy about Mackintosh, I guess. Maybe it's the energy and confidence (misplaced as it may be these days). Of course, he's about 5'0" so there's that.

by Anonymousreply 137July 23, 2022 1:20 PM

Hal was married but certainly knew his way around a cock or two.

by Anonymousreply 138July 23, 2022 1:38 PM

Or three. Or occasionally six.

by Anonymousreply 139July 23, 2022 1:39 PM

I read a Perkins biography. It mentioned that Perkins had a blond twink whom he photographed in S&M poses. I think rope was mentioned. This would have been late 1960s, early 1970s. Maybe he and Sondheim Eiffel Towered a succession of twinks.

by Anonymousreply 140July 23, 2022 1:40 PM

The stage musical of 101 DALMATIANS opens at Regent's Park in London.

Could be fun, charming... but the production photos just look... odd.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141July 23, 2022 1:40 PM

I saw a touring production of The Kite Runner on stage, several years ago. My only take away is that the lead actor read gay, which I don't think the character was.

by Anonymousreply 142July 23, 2022 1:43 PM

Who’s boy toy was Joel Grey? Did he mess around with Prince?

by Anonymousreply 143July 23, 2022 1:46 PM

You'd have to ask Willy Falk about Cameron's cock.

by Anonymousreply 144July 23, 2022 1:48 PM

Willy Falk nothing! These days it’s Little Charlie Stemp riding the Cam cock.

by Anonymousreply 145July 23, 2022 1:52 PM

R132, that Perkins quote about the out of place sock was in the 1973 Time magazine story about Sondheim. I think. And both Perkins biographies include Sondheim in a list of Perkins' lovers. I think it's probably true. I'm much more interested in whether Sondheim and Lapine were lovers. I think they were but I can't find any "evidence."

by Anonymousreply 146July 23, 2022 1:55 PM

Wasn’t Michael Bennett straight? I mean, he married a woman, didn’t he?

by Anonymousreply 147July 23, 2022 2:10 PM

Oh, of course, r147. My mistake.

by Anonymousreply 148July 23, 2022 2:24 PM

Grover Dale also married a woman.

by Anonymousreply 149July 23, 2022 2:27 PM

Any gossip about Jerry Herman’s love life/sex life? He was so handsome when he was younger.

by Anonymousreply 150July 23, 2022 2:32 PM

[quote] ALW looks like someone who would give monkeys monkeypox.

ALW looks like he's been dead since 1994 and someone forgot to tell him.

by Anonymousreply 151July 23, 2022 2:42 PM

rowr!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152July 23, 2022 2:48 PM

The British love taking classic Disney films and turning them into their signature arch, garish, dystopian panto-nightmares. Pinocchio, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, and now 101 Dalmatians. Americans have little appetite for Disney turned creepy. Only Poppins made it stateside.

by Anonymousreply 153July 23, 2022 3:01 PM

R146-Tony Perkins I can understand, but Sondheim would have had to be just released from prison to do anything remotely sexual with mad fugly Lapine.

by Anonymousreply 154July 23, 2022 3:10 PM

I don't know. Lapine wasn't terrible looking at all when they started working together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155July 23, 2022 3:20 PM

Ooof, if Lapine was as furry everywhere as those forearms.....indeed, he wasn't terrible.

by Anonymousreply 156July 23, 2022 3:22 PM

Sondheim started copying Lapine's style of dress--even to wearing identical sweaters in one photograph. If nothing else, he seems clearly to have been crushing on Lapine.

by Anonymousreply 157July 23, 2022 3:38 PM

[quote]Grover Dale also married a woman.

Not just any woman, but Anita Morris. Told this story before, was a kid and went to see "The Magic Show" on Broadway and was standing by the stage door and out pops Ms Morris who almost knocks me down and with that southern drawl says "Oh Honey, I'm sorry" and gives me a big hug. My gosh she's been gone 28 years now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158July 23, 2022 3:59 PM

Gone too soon, r158.

by Anonymousreply 159July 23, 2022 4:02 PM

Anita Morris and Grover Dale's kid James Badge Dale

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160July 23, 2022 4:04 PM

Wasn’t Leonard Bernstein straight? I mean, he married a woman, didn’t he?

by Anonymousreply 161July 23, 2022 4:16 PM

Wasn't Stephen Sondheim bisexual? I mean, he almost married Lee Remick, the one woman he truly loved.

by Anonymousreply 162July 23, 2022 4:18 PM

This is a word-for-word duplicate of Theatre Gossip #104

by Anonymousreply 163July 23, 2022 4:23 PM

If any of you has seen and remembers World War Z, James Badge Dale plays the army officer in South Korea who gets bitten and has to off himself.

Dale is bearded and in uniform and gives one of the most fantastically masculine performances I've ever seen. Just total testosterone. He's really built, too, though there's no skin in the sequence.

Fun Fact: His middle name is Badgett, not Badge, but he thought the Badhe scanned better as a movie credit.

by Anonymousreply 164July 23, 2022 4:31 PM

Crushing on a woman and even having sex with her doesn't make him bi. That describes my life and I'm anything but . . .

by Anonymousreply 165July 23, 2022 4:35 PM

I dated Miss America, Bess Myerson, who was one sizzlin' hot piece of pussy if ever there was one!

That's how I'm doin'!

by Anonymousreply 166July 23, 2022 4:38 PM

r164, James Badge Dale is hot (and yes, that super-masculine energy he has is even hotter). And he has a nice ass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167July 23, 2022 4:53 PM

Hey Ed @ r166... did you have a three-way with Bess and Vonda Kay Van Dyke?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168July 23, 2022 5:02 PM

Don't cry for him, DL...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169July 23, 2022 5:24 PM

[quote]R162 Wasn't Stephen Sondheim bisexual? I mean, he almost married Lee Remick, the one woman he truly loved.

Yes! But then the vicious chorus boys all conspired to pull him (and his pants) down again!

by Anonymousreply 170July 23, 2022 5:38 PM

The Proof of Their Love: [italic]Never Happier

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171July 23, 2022 5:42 PM

Their passion together literally burned up the screen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172July 23, 2022 5:44 PM

Wasn't Howard McGillin straight? I mean, he married a woman, didn’t he?

by Anonymousreply 173July 23, 2022 5:52 PM

Lee Remick is just luminously beautiful in that clip. Sondheim is only 35-36 at that point, but tubby. Was he drinking and smoking heavily at that point?

Between Ludden and Peter Lawford, the closeted energy is overpowering.

by Anonymousreply 174July 23, 2022 5:53 PM

Sondheim mentions he's working on a new musical The Girls Upstairs with a book by James Goldman. It's too bad it never happened.

by Anonymousreply 175July 23, 2022 5:53 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176July 23, 2022 5:59 PM

It may have morphed in Follies, but wasn’t “The Girls Upstairs” supposed to be a murder mystery?

by Anonymousreply 177July 23, 2022 6:36 PM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 178July 23, 2022 6:37 PM

Lee, who could have been the new Kitty Carlisle Hart of her generation’s theater scene if only she’d accepted Sondheim’s proposal : (

The ingratitude!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179July 23, 2022 6:49 PM

From those I know who knew her, Remick was a wonderful person. Not surprising that Sondheim was smitten with her.

by Anonymousreply 180July 23, 2022 7:21 PM

Could Steve have been any less handsome on Password? Good thing he was clever.

by Anonymousreply 181July 23, 2022 7:40 PM

Would love to see a script from The Girls Upstairs.

by Anonymousreply 182July 23, 2022 8:05 PM

At the library looking up old Theatre World books and came across the obituary of Jerry Dodge who died during the Broadway run of Mack & Mabel in 1974. He was 37. It said he died of “chemical poisoning” while undergoing medical treatment for a virus. He was also in the original cast of Hello, Dolly! “Chemical poisoning”?

by Anonymousreply 183July 23, 2022 8:13 PM

I think it was Lee who proposed, not Steve--although apparently he gave it serious thought and concluded he couldn't go through with it.

by Anonymousreply 184July 23, 2022 8:13 PM

James Badge Dale was in DONNYBROOK!!!! Susan Johnson fans, rejoice!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185July 23, 2022 8:18 PM

I just watched the first scene of "Clyde's."

A- Does the show get any better?

B- Does Uzo's performance get any less amateurish?

by Anonymousreply 186July 23, 2022 8:29 PM

For those of you who like these things, James Badge Dale... not nude, but D-A-M-N. That chick from NCIS who he impregnated? Oh God, to look up and have that slab of beef above me? I'd swoon like the senatrice from South Carolina.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187July 23, 2022 8:33 PM

I wouldn't bet one penny, r185.

by Anonymousreply 188July 23, 2022 8:34 PM

If only it was the musical, r185!

by Anonymousreply 189July 23, 2022 8:52 PM

From what I understand, the transition from The Girls Upstairs into Follies came with the idea of not doing a whodunit, but a who'll-do-it. It is sorta interesting to think about, who in Follies would be the one to be killed off and why.

by Anonymousreply 190July 23, 2022 9:19 PM

My vote is for Solange.

by Anonymousreply 191July 23, 2022 9:20 PM

The waiter that Phyllis fucks

by Anonymousreply 192July 23, 2022 9:23 PM

I'm gonna go with the Whitmans.

by Anonymousreply 193July 23, 2022 9:25 PM

Dee Dee West in the hall with the wrench.

by Anonymousreply 194July 23, 2022 9:25 PM

The very cute Jerry Dodge originated the role of Barnaby in Hello, Dolly! Neither he nor the very cute Danny Lockin had a happy end.

by Anonymousreply 195July 23, 2022 9:26 PM

[quote]James Badge Dale was in DONNYBROOK!!!! Susan Johnson fans, rejoice!

Susan Johnson was also in "Whoop-Up!," which was based on the same novel that later inspired an Elvis movie, "Stay Away, Joe." The Elvis movie had songs, but not the ones from "Whoop-Up!"

by Anonymousreply 196July 23, 2022 9:28 PM

[quote]Nobody Throw Those Bull Like My Boy Big Joe

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 197July 23, 2022 9:29 PM

It was obvious that Stella would be murdered. The “Who’s That Woman” number foreshadows that. And with Yvonne de Carlo sitting out the choreography, it was quite clear that Carlotta did it. She hated how Stella was the life of the party and could gather all the girls around her.

by Anonymousreply 198July 23, 2022 9:34 PM

I check out Grover's FB page every once in a while. I see he hasn't posted since March, so I hope he's doing okay. It was sweet how excited he was about becoming a grandpa. He was working on publishing his memoir and occasionally would post great stories. Here's one about the beginning of his relationship with Perkins:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199July 23, 2022 9:35 PM

I feel bad for Lee Remick. She was taken far too soon!

by Anonymousreply 200July 23, 2022 9:35 PM

Great story r199!

by Anonymousreply 201July 23, 2022 9:39 PM

R199 - "Dear Penthouse Forum..."

by Anonymousreply 202July 23, 2022 9:44 PM

From the previous thread... "Sondheim's main problem has always been that his music and lyrics are usually much deeper than anything the playwright thinks up. When the characters are singing, everything's great, but the moment the dialogue resumes, it takes a dive'

Inevitably, the composer/lyricist plunder the script to find the most emotive and/or plot-driven moments that lend themselves to song. Any librettist knows this and willingly gives up his script to the collaboration. Since songs should be THE event in any musical (although that practice fell into desuetude on Broadway decades ago), naturally the dialogue doesn't have the same charge...but it can hardly accused of taking "a dive."

Also from the previous thread...

Since when have directors, artistic or theatrical, EVER been transparent? That's not their job. They deal with specialized departments/talents on a one-to-one basis in order to achieve a unified whole or mission statement and it's nobody's business but their own to know how it's all supposed to come together.

by Anonymousreply 203July 23, 2022 10:07 PM

Thanks, r199! So glad GD got to document this relationship. Really hope he has written much more and that we get to see it!

by Anonymousreply 204July 23, 2022 10:34 PM

Remick had such a lovely energy. Even when playing cold or troubled people, she's very likable and radiant.

Anita Morris is one of the only women I've seen who made me question my sexuality. Some people just naturally radiate sex and she was one of those. Much like Marlon Brando did. You'd look at them both and think "I bet they're wild in the sack."

I had no idea she and Grover's son had such a delicious ass. That thing looks huge in R167's picture.

by Anonymousreply 205July 23, 2022 10:47 PM

Dale is so wonderful in Half a Sixpence and Molly Brown. A very handsome, sexy and thrilling dancer. Too bad he stopped dancing on Broadway a long time ago and I never got to see him. Nobody EVER talks about it and it was never excerpted in any of the MGM That's Entertainment films but He's My Friend is one of the best dance numbers put on film. Molly Brown is not a favorite movie musical(though I would have given anything to have seen it when it opened at Radio City) but that number is a highpoint in movie musical history.

by Anonymousreply 206July 23, 2022 10:49 PM

[quote]R184 I think it was Lee who proposed, not Steve--although apparently he gave it serious thought and concluded he couldn't go through with it.

No. She was already married at the time. Sondheim was the one with the infatuation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207July 23, 2022 10:50 PM

Really, Follies feels like it could have been a plot for a Very Special 2 part episode of "Murder She Wrote".

by Anonymousreply 208July 23, 2022 10:54 PM

Grover Dale is also wonderful, along with George Chakiris dancing in Jacques Demy's "Young Girls of Cherbourg" also with Gene Kelly. Everyone's singing is dubbed in the film, except for Danielle Darrieux, who went on to replace Katharine Hepburn a few years later on Broadway in "Coco".

by Anonymousreply 209July 23, 2022 10:55 PM

And the murderer is…the mole under Phyllis's breast!

by Anonymousreply 210July 23, 2022 10:57 PM

r205, indeed. Here's the video. Even before the pants come off, you can see he's packing those jeans. That ass is huge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211July 23, 2022 10:58 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212July 23, 2022 11:04 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213July 23, 2022 11:04 PM

Remick was estranged from Colleran when she met Sondheim. I don't deny that he was infatuated and maybe more, but so was she and she wanted a commitment, which he couldn't give. I think he would have married her if he'd been able to convince himself to "live a lie."

by Anonymousreply 214July 23, 2022 11:06 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215July 23, 2022 11:10 PM

Birthmark, r210...

by Anonymousreply 216July 23, 2022 11:12 PM

"If any of you has seen and remembers World War Z, James Badge Dale plays the army officer in South Korea who gets bitten and has to off himself.

He was also in "24" in some very tense and thrilling episodes opposite Kiefer.

Don't Tell Mama is a FAR superior song to Mein Herr.

by Anonymousreply 217July 23, 2022 11:14 PM

[quote]Why Did “Anyone Can Whistle” Flop?

Because it was a huge mess with an awful book mired in '60s psychobabble.

by Anonymousreply 218July 23, 2022 11:36 PM

It was no Lady in the Dark, r218...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219July 23, 2022 11:58 PM

How imperturbably perspicacious of you, R218!

by Anonymousreply 220July 23, 2022 11:59 PM

A Foggy Day in London Town is an English song from WW ll? Ok Angela.

by Anonymousreply 221July 24, 2022 12:03 AM

Another Lady look...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222July 24, 2022 12:07 AM

I can’t find the video on YouTube where Patti LuPone gives a tour of her memorabilia barn, and displays Ethel Merman’s jewelry.

This is upsetting to me.

by Anonymousreply 223July 24, 2022 12:08 AM

Every time I see a commercial for the music Six I wish Henry VIII had a good first marriage and stayed Catholic.

by Anonymousreply 224July 24, 2022 12:11 AM

Does anybody have photos from this 1974 LACC production of FOLLIES?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225July 24, 2022 12:19 AM

Patti '72

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226July 24, 2022 12:22 AM

Remick was miscast as Frances Schreuder in Nutcracker. Judy Davis would have been incredible.

by Anonymousreply 227July 24, 2022 12:40 AM

Chill r223...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228July 24, 2022 12:40 AM

Wow! I was actually a dresser on that little documentary about The Acting Co. in 1972 which was just going out on its very first tour after their graduation from Juilliard. IIRC it was originally shot for PBS. It was my first job after I moved to NYC the summer before. For those who care, you'll also see Kevin Kline, David Schramm, Mary Lou Rosato, Gerry Gutierrez (who had temporarily changed his last name to Shaw) and David Ogden Stiers in those scenes, who were all part of Patti's class and founding members of The Acting Co.

As you can see the costumes, wigs and sets were lavish and beautifully designed with big budgets. Patti was spoiled early! What I remember most is how they all smoked so much in the dressing rooms and even off stage. I was very impressed that all these young actors were willing to give up careers in NY to tour the country, mostly playing college auditoriums, even if it was a great showcase for their talents.

Haven't see any of this film in decades...thanks for posting, r226.

by Anonymousreply 229July 24, 2022 12:43 AM

^^ merci, r228

Breathing has calmed!

by Anonymousreply 230July 24, 2022 12:44 AM

Next time, r230, take your Nervine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231July 24, 2022 12:48 AM

[quote]As you can see the costumes, wigs and sets were lavish and beautifully designed with big budgets

They certainly were, r229!

by Anonymousreply 232July 24, 2022 12:56 AM

R209, Danielle was also Porfirio "Rubi" Rubirosa's second wife and got to enjoy his legendary huge cock for five years.

by Anonymousreply 233July 24, 2022 1:08 AM

Really wonderful interview with Lansbury at r213! Thanks for posting. Makes we want to listen to my ACW CD again.

by Anonymousreply 234July 24, 2022 1:21 AM

Wardrobe Boy @ r229, Patti talks in her autobiography about getting crabs from those costumes. Why didn’t you wash them? 🤣

by Anonymousreply 235July 24, 2022 1:32 AM

Aw, I was just dressing the men, r235!

by Anonymousreply 236July 24, 2022 1:47 AM

'Patti talks in her autobiography about getting crabs from those costumes'

From the costumes? Ha ha ha.

by Anonymousreply 237July 24, 2022 1:49 AM

What documentary is that from? I'd love to try and find the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 238July 24, 2022 2:09 AM

r229/WardrobeBoy- Can I put your post in the Yahoo comments?

by Anonymousreply 239July 24, 2022 2:14 AM

Sure, r229.

Where do I go to find them (I'm old as you can probably tell)?

by Anonymousreply 240July 24, 2022 2:16 AM

Why did Patti donate her stuff to Columbia University?

by Anonymousreply 241July 24, 2022 2:27 AM

r328, when the documentary was originally shot in the fall of 1972, it was really about the first graduating acting class at Juilliard, not so much about The Acting Company, which was just getting started......but all about their training with scenes from plays they had performed while students which would then form the rep The Acting Company was taking out on the road, as well as footage of them in all their classes. I believe it was shot by PBS, I guess WNET? I don't remember the title of the documentary.

Patti and Kevin Kline were thought to be the stars of the group but there were also Norman Snow and Mary Joan (or Jo?) Negro who also played romantic leads, were both gorgeous and were actually married in real life. I guess they both left the business long ago. Any old timers remember their names? IIRC After Dark did a big story on the original Acting Company in 1973 or so featuring all the lookers.

by Anonymousreply 242July 24, 2022 2:29 AM

After Dark cover with Norman Snow

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243July 24, 2022 2:32 AM

If it's still on youtube, Grover Dale fans should look for the HALF A SIXPENCE number "If I Had Money to Burn" in which GD has an incredible solo dance within the fabulous number. It's really fun.

by Anonymousreply 244July 24, 2022 2:33 AM

Man, I wish someone would digitize old copies of After Dark. I bet they'd be a hoot to browse through.

by Anonymousreply 245July 24, 2022 2:34 AM

Actually, just looked it up and it's a clip from The Ed Sullivan Show, not the film of HALF A SIXPENCE, for the Grover Dale solo. It's on youtube!

Sorry, I'm too feeble to link it.

by Anonymousreply 246July 24, 2022 2:37 AM

Go here, r240...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247July 24, 2022 2:44 AM

For the feeble and not so feeble:

Tommy Steele and Grover Dale in Half A Sixpence

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248July 24, 2022 2:55 AM

James Badge Dale is spectacular in one small scene in the movie Flight which is the one with Denzel Washington as the hard-partying pilot who flips a jet over before landing it and saving most of the passengers. JBD is a smoking patient he encounters in the stairwell. His character doesn't even have a name, but, wow, does he make the most of a small role.

by Anonymousreply 249July 24, 2022 3:07 AM

That number was exhausting, r248.

by Anonymousreply 250July 24, 2022 3:14 AM

Sixpence...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251July 24, 2022 3:17 AM

Kevin Kline gave Patti the crabs

by Anonymousreply 252July 24, 2022 3:48 AM

Anita Morris recovers from a wardrobe malfunction.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253July 24, 2022 3:52 AM

Kline must have because there were at least three gay men in Patti’s graduating class.

by Anonymousreply 254July 24, 2022 4:00 AM

And wasn't she a pretty one?

by Anonymousreply 255July 24, 2022 4:11 AM

My, that James Badge Dale is certainly ... healthy.

by Anonymousreply 256July 24, 2022 4:37 AM

As a youngster, under the name Badgett Dale, JBD was in the flop 1990 remake of LORD OF THE FLIES.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257July 24, 2022 5:06 AM

R242 (and others), Mary-Joan Negro has an oddly slim career, given not only her training but her superb performances on 2 classic LAW & ORDER episodes -- "In Memory Of" (a daughter testifying against her father for a decades-past murder) and "White Rabbit" (arguably the greatest episode in the show's history, with William Kunstler playing himself).

Her oddest credit, at least of those I've seen -- there's a SIX FEET UNDER episode that begins with someone dropping dead in the middle of a Chekhov performance, and Miss Negro plays one of the nonplussed cast. I don't know that she even had a line.

by Anonymousreply 258July 24, 2022 5:10 AM

Looks like she's been teaching acting at USC. Her webpage on their site is no longer active, but according to the Google cache it was as recently as July 10.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259July 24, 2022 5:59 AM

R258, don't you think that Mary-Joan Negro's "I'm Susan Forrest" is as impactful and moving as Judy's "I'm Mrs. Norman Maine."?

In all seriousness, that L&O episode with Kunstler is excellent.

by Anonymousreply 260July 24, 2022 10:14 AM

[quote]Patti LuPone Shows Off Her Archives

Most people call them " tits."

by Anonymousreply 261July 24, 2022 11:45 AM

"Man, I wish someone would digitize old copies of After Dark. I bet they'd be a hoot to browse through."

They are. I bought some copies off Ebay, and they are fascinating documents of an extraordinarily vibrant pre-AIDS era in the arts, when the opening of a Hal Prince-Stephen Sondheim was anticipated with the fervor of a Verdi opera a century earlier. All that creativity, taste, intelligence, erudition (with a touch of decadence) would all be laid to waste in the years to come. Like Fran Leibowitz has written: "What is culture without gay people? This is America, what is the culture? Not just New York. AIDS completely changed American culture. People always say “pop culture.” As if we have some high culture to distinguish it from. The effect of AIDS was like a war in a minute country. Like, in World War I, a whole generation of Englishmen died all at once. And with AIDS, a whole generation of gay men died practically all at once, within a couple of years. And especially the ones that I knew. The first people who died of AIDS were artists. They were also the most interesting people...The knowing audience also died and no longer exists in a real way. So all the judgment left at the same time that all this creativity left. And it allowed people who would be fifth-rate artists to come to the front of the line. It decimated not just artists but knowledge. Knowledge of a culture. There’s a huge gap in what people know, and there’s no context for it anymore."

by Anonymousreply 262July 24, 2022 11:49 AM

Maybe being a Negro affected Mary Joan's career.

by Anonymousreply 263July 24, 2022 12:28 PM

[quote] Mary-Joan Negro has an oddly slim career, given not only her training but her superb performances on 2 classic LAW & ORDER episodes

Was Mary Joan Negro in that School for Scandal? WEHT to Cynthia Hermann who was also an inaugural member of The Acting Company? Both Mary Joan Negro and Mary Lou Rosato would have had bigger careers as character actors today. What an incredible launch for those young actors. Back then everyone in the business religiously went to the theater. Agents, casting directors, producers, TV and film people. Can't think of a better launch for any group of young actors that has happened since. Now they only go if there are stars or clients involved.

Related topic: Spending the summer upstate NY: Tom Hanks has written a play that is getting its world premiere in Ulster county. We enjoyed it. Definitely could use a good dramaturgy and some rewrites, because its hard to follow, but some very strong performances. Stars Tim Busfield

by Anonymousreply 264July 24, 2022 1:29 PM

link to review of Tom Hanks play

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265July 24, 2022 1:30 PM

Sandy Duncan was just profiled on CBS this morning. Brought back happy memories of watching her play Peter Pan. What a shame it wasn’t taped for tv. She was brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 266July 24, 2022 1:47 PM

Mary Lou Rosato had an even bigger honker than Patti LuPone. No way was she ever going to have a substantial career, even as a character actress.

Mary Joan Negro was somewhat attractive-she was on the daytime soap Another World for a while in the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 267July 24, 2022 2:19 PM

I doubt they think you’re pretty either.

by Anonymousreply 268July 24, 2022 2:45 PM

Headshot at link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269July 24, 2022 2:48 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270July 24, 2022 2:50 PM

Mary Joan Negro was gorgeous, Patti didn't come close though she had great charisma and drive.

MJN played a servant in School for Scandal, a nothing role, I suppose to compensate for the plays in rep in which she played a lead. Women, Beware Women, was one of those. Norman Snow also played a servant in The School for Scandal. I wonder if they're still married? I think I remember that they started as Juilliard students already married, they didn't meet there.

Cynthia Herman was cast within their class more in soubrette type roles, not so much leading ladies. I worked with her again in 1977 but lost track of her after that. She was sweet but rather ditzy. Mary Lou Rosato had a hunky younger boyfriend who was still a student in a later class. Everyone was agog at how she landed him, lol.

IIRC, the documentary showed the students in a larger variety of plays, all once performed when they were still students, than they actually took on the road with The Acting Company. I remember they did The Hostage, Scapino, Ring Round the Moon and John Dos Passos' USA, among others for the doc.

by Anonymousreply 271July 24, 2022 3:00 PM

Sad to read that review of the Tom Hanks play in which the reviewer raves about all the actors knowing they'll undoubtedly be replaced by "names" when the show hits Broadway. Well, maybe not Timothy Busfield.....would he still be considered a name? I wonder if Melissa Gilbert and Rita Wilson hung out backstage together.....

by Anonymousreply 272July 24, 2022 3:05 PM

Agree that Mary Joan Negro was/is a very attractive woman. That headshot doesn't do her justice and was probably the result of an agent marketing her as "ethnic" Did Patti play Masha in that Three sisters? I can't remember if it was her or Leah (last name escapes me) All I remember is Kevin Kline's Vershinin from that production

[quote]Sad to read that review of the Tom Hanks play in which the reviewer raves about all the actors knowing they'll undoubtedly be replaced by "names" when the show hits Broadway. Well, maybe not Timothy Busfield.... .would he still be considered a name? I wonder if Melissa Gilbert and Rita Wilson hung out backstage together....

Tim Busfield and James Riordan are the only actors in the cast of 6 with Broadway/NYC credits. James Riordan is excellent in this in a variety of roles, a nice showcase for him. We saw it opening night and Hanks was in the audience along with Marsha Gay Hardin (stunning in black) Watched a photographer taking pix after the show in the theatre. Hanks seemed very friendly with Busfield and Riordan in particular so maybe there is some connection there Play needs work but it was entertaining. Mellisa Gilbert was also there looking great but in some kind of shmata I can't identify

by Anonymousreply 273July 24, 2022 3:26 PM

I'm 264 btw

by Anonymousreply 274July 24, 2022 3:36 PM

You don't look a day over 250 r274!

by Anonymousreply 275July 24, 2022 3:37 PM

Love you r275! I am AT LEAST 250 in years, thankfully not in pounds. Ancient and loving it

by Anonymousreply 276July 24, 2022 3:40 PM

r273, Patti was Irina, Mary Joan was Masha and, of course, Mary Lou was Olga. The Three Sisters was added to The Acting Company repertory when they returned to NY after 6 months or so on the road. I'm also spacing on Leah's last name, lol. She never got the lead roles of the other ladies.

by Anonymousreply 277July 24, 2022 3:50 PM

Leah Chandler

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278July 24, 2022 4:00 PM

Thanks r277. Just got off my lazy ass and looked it up: I'ts Leah Chandler. She played Isabella in Measure of Measure, which I didn't see. Did Kline and Patti really get in bus for 6 months and play colleges? I remember seeing both of them around quite a bit right after they graduated, but it was lifetimes ago, so I could be wrong

by Anonymousreply 279July 24, 2022 4:03 PM

I just read/listened to William J. Mann's Hello, Gorgeous: Becoming Barbra Streisand, all about the 1st 4 - 5 years of her career from her move to NYC as a teenager of 16 through to B'way run of Funny Girl. This should've been required reading for Beanie and certainly Lea Michelle - no surprise, Funny Girl was TAILOR MADE for the young Streisand. She's not playing Fanny Brice at all (which we know, of course) but rather using the association to launch her own career-making mythology. The entire "kookie" Barbra phase of her persona was invented by her and her handlers to put and keep her in the running for the role and columnists and national media to constantly refer to Fanny Brice to describe the young Streisand. It was a fascinating listen. I remember as a boy in the '70s, reading what I think was an early James Spada large paperback that recounted like the 1st 10 - 14 years of Streisand's career and it was ALL myth-making. The Mann book breaks down the early influence of Barry Dennen (which we know of, of course) and some other homosexuals who styled her for her nightclub debuts, etc. It's a really interesting account. It kind of makes sense as to how the bigger she got and more removed, she became so boring and MOR. The "kooky" Barbra thing was all an act, manifested by other people. It doesn't denigrate her talent in any way, just breaks through the mythology.

Lea Michelle (and any others) should realise they're not playing Fanny Brice and they can't play Barbra - they have to manifest their own individual blend of comedy, pathos and, above all - SONG. The idea that casting a non-singer like Beanie in the role was ever going to work, as something different, is just stupid. That's not how this show is built. Of course, the book includes the entire behind the scenes creation of the B'way musical, Funny Girl (and a fair amount of I Can Get It For You Wholesale). It was eye-opening.

by Anonymousreply 280July 24, 2022 4:22 PM

[quote]Lea Michelle (and any others) should realise they're not playing Fanny Brice and they can't play Barbra - they have to manifest their own individual blend of comedy, pathos and, above all - SONG. The idea that casting a non-singer like Beanie in the role was ever going to work, as something different, is just stupid. That's not how this show is built. Of course, the book includes the entire behind the scenes creation of the B'way musical, Funny Girl (and a fair amount of I Can Get It For You Wholesale). It was eye-opening.

Very perceptive. All the ladies playing this role are essentially inheriting a dress made and fitted for someone else. The smart actress/singer will ask for alterations

by Anonymousreply 281July 24, 2022 4:27 PM

Didn't Beanie want to do Barbra's movie number on roller skates?

by Anonymousreply 282July 24, 2022 4:28 PM

Lea Michele doesn’t know how to be anyone but Barbra at this point.

by Anonymousreply 283July 24, 2022 4:29 PM

R281, Streisand certainly did.

by Anonymousreply 284July 24, 2022 4:29 PM

[quote]all about the 1st 4 - 5 years of her career from her move to NYC as a teenager of 16

Brooklyn is NYC, r280.

by Anonymousreply 285July 24, 2022 4:30 PM

r264, yes, Leah Chandler!

Yeah, they all got on that bus, including Patti and Kevin, and went from stop to stop, often one night stands or split weeks, and often playing college campuses. My early impression was that Kevin was the most eager to leave the company and get on with his career and he was certainly the most sellable.

But as I said upthread, I was really impressed by their commitment to The Acting Company and seemingly putting their commercial careers on hold for what might have been the most vital years of their youth. Then again, none of them, except for Kevin, were really Hollywood hero/heroine types and even Broadway wasn't going to headline them in a classic revival, which was what their training was all about. So, perhaps they made the right decision. John Houseman really got into their heads.......

by Anonymousreply 286July 24, 2022 4:33 PM

r285, Brooklyn was about as far from Manhattan as Nebraska in the early 1960s. I'd say it still is.

by Anonymousreply 287July 24, 2022 4:35 PM

Thank you, R287.

by Anonymousreply 288July 24, 2022 4:37 PM

I never think of Streisand when watching Leah. There's nothing zany about Sarfati.

by Anonymousreply 289July 24, 2022 4:40 PM

It’s funny, I tried talking to a Streisand stan about some of the comments in the Hello Gorgeous book regarding her kooky image being manifested by gay men, Barry Dennen, etc and he wasn’t having any of it. Claimed these men who were there were just trying to rewrite history. He couldn’t possibly accept that Barbra doesn’t think of everything herself.

by Anonymousreply 290July 24, 2022 4:43 PM

While I have no doubt Streisand had gay friends who encouraged a kookiness in her young persona and guided her to thrift shops for wardrobe advice, I find it hard to believe that she didn't come up with most of all that by herself.

by Anonymousreply 291July 24, 2022 4:53 PM

[quote]Brooklyn is NYC, [R280].

Only Manhattan is considered NYC to the majority of people in the world and Manhattanites, R285.

by Anonymousreply 292July 24, 2022 5:08 PM

Manhattan is Manhattan. NYC has five boroughs.

by Anonymousreply 293July 24, 2022 5:11 PM

New York is the center of New York!

by Anonymousreply 294July 24, 2022 5:17 PM

[quote][R285], Brooklyn was about as far from Manhattan as Nebraska in the early 1960s. I'd say it still is.

r280 didn't say Manhattan, r287, they wrote NYC which Brooklyn is a part of.

by Anonymousreply 295July 24, 2022 5:26 PM

Well R291, the 2nd hour of A Star Is Born is proof of what Streisand could accomplish on her own, fashion-wise, and it was pretty incoherent.

by Anonymousreply 296July 24, 2022 6:10 PM

[quote] Howard McGillin

I'll take "Theater Penises I'd Like In My Mouth" for $1000, Ken!

by Anonymousreply 297July 24, 2022 6:35 PM

Jezebel visits Funny Girl

[quote]“That seat sucks,” said a kind and nearly blind usher as she pressed my ticket to Funny Girl to her eyeglasses. She shone her flashlight about 20 rows closer to the stage, directing me to row E, and said, “They’ve given me a bunch of extra seats tonight.” It was the 12th-to-last day of Beanie Feldstein playing the role of Fanny Brice on Broadway, and the house was not packed.

[quote]It was in the first act, during “Henry Street”—when Fanny and friends are celebrating her Ziegfeld debut with dancing and revelry—when I literally lost Beanie in the crowd. I thought maybe she’d left the stage before I realized she was front and center, gazing lovingly at Nicky Arnstein. The New York Times had quoted a casting notice from an earlier (failed) Broadway revival that declared Fanny must be a “once-in-a-generation talent.” Beanie wasn’t standing out in a sea of 15 people, let alone a generation.

[quote]My senses were tuned to the micro-reactions from audience members, too. Perhaps I expected someone to boo her—to be outraged that this talented woman was a little less talented in a specific way than anticipated. But the entire audience seemed to be rooting for Beanie. In the lobby during intermission and after the show, I heard a resounding sentiment, repeated like a plea: She is good. She is good. It was good. Only the more times it was repeated, the less confidence I had in whoever was saying it, like they were reassuring themselves after hearing the floor creak in the first half of a horror movie: Nothing to worry about here! It’s good! She is good.

The Beanie fans are describing this as a hate piece, which shows how far gone they are

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298July 24, 2022 6:53 PM

[Quote] Sad to read that review of the Tom Hanks play in which the reviewer raves about all the actors knowing they'll undoubtedly be replaced by "names" when the show hits Broadway.

To be fair R272, it’s from the Sullivan County Democrat, National Award-winning, Family-run Newspaper

by Anonymousreply 299July 24, 2022 6:58 PM

R296. Exactly. I guess she had an epiphany at the end of the 60’s and lost every shred of kooky taste she had.

by Anonymousreply 300July 24, 2022 7:13 PM

[quote] And like a horror movie, somewhere, unseen to us, is Lea Michele wandering around with a butcher knife.

by Anonymousreply 301July 24, 2022 7:13 PM

[quote] I Agree that Mary Joan Negro was/is a very attractive woman.

With the best name in show business!

by Anonymousreply 302July 24, 2022 7:17 PM

That Jezebel article is....for Jezebel, surprisingly well executed with some good points.

by Anonymousreply 303July 24, 2022 7:23 PM

She certainly has a Magnani beauty going on.

by Anonymousreply 304July 24, 2022 7:32 PM

One example of someone making the songs her own without imitating Streisand is the Diana Ross FUNNY GIRL. If they could find someone like this, it would be truly exciting. But Lea I fear will just do her Streisand shtick. (Jule Styne was on record (hah) of loving the Ross renditions.)

by Anonymousreply 305July 24, 2022 7:37 PM

The Money to Burn number is terrific but it goes on too long. The whole center portion should have been cut. The sensational Flash, Bang, Wallop is another number where Dale shines and the title number is wonderful. The whole movie while unfortunately very uneven(it needed better editing) has a lavish production and the work of Irwin Kostal at his best which is saying a lot. It definitely needs a beautifully done bluray but I'm the only person who would buy it.

by Anonymousreply 306July 24, 2022 7:44 PM

It was Diana Ross and the Supremes doing Funny Girl, r305. Different sound and a pop arrangement. Again the show/role was formed with Barbra's shtick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307July 24, 2022 7:50 PM

Lea Michele IS Diana Ross AS Barbra Streisand AS Fanny Brice IN Funny Girl!

by Anonymousreply 308July 24, 2022 7:57 PM

It IS among the best thread openers in the history of the DL.

That is if "history" is what you'd call this mound of humanity's detritus that just keeps getting taller, drier and older, like the tell of Jericho.

by Anonymousreply 309July 24, 2022 8:00 PM

Tommy Steele was not half as hot as Charlie Stemp is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310July 24, 2022 8:04 PM

R308, does that mean she would shit in her own wig?

by Anonymousreply 311July 24, 2022 8:05 PM

AND plant her own tree r311!

by Anonymousreply 312July 24, 2022 8:08 PM

Lea Michele is Veruca Salt. She's no Diva.

by Anonymousreply 313July 24, 2022 8:13 PM

r296, I woke up late and caught the end of that CBS Sunday Morning piece on Sandy Duncan. I adore both Duncan and her husband Don Correia. Back in the early 80s I thought he was the hottest man in New York, with or without his mustache, and there were so many many hot men in New York then, before the plague. I first noticed him as a replacement in A Chorus Line, and then with Sandy as replacements in My One and Only, Singing in the Rain, the first Follies revival and others. I love them both so much and was so thrilled to see them still happily together after 42 years.

I'll OH MARY! myself but it was such a nice way to wake up.

by Anonymousreply 314July 24, 2022 8:20 PM

That "Money to Burn" number from the movie of Half a Sixpence is SO overblown and overlong and over-everything. It's like the movie of Hello, Dolly! on steroids. I had forgotten how bloated and elephantine the movie was. I saw it in the theater when it came out, and remember thinking that Tommy Steele was playing to a third or fourth balcony. By contrast, here's the same number on The Ed Sullivan Show. It's still too long but Onna White's choreography is superb.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315July 24, 2022 8:26 PM

Why are they highlighting Sandy Duncan?

by Anonymousreply 316July 24, 2022 8:27 PM

Thanks, r315!

You all have to watch the Ed Sullivan Show clip of Money to Burn on youtube! That's the golden one. Much more immediacy and a greater build than the film version, even in black & white. And I'm impressed with Tommy Steele allowing Grover and some of the other dancers so much focus, even when he's sharing the stage with them.

by Anonymousreply 317July 24, 2022 8:28 PM

R314. Sandy and Don were wonderful together in My One and Only. I remember he left the show to do Singin in the Rain which was awful but he was gorgeous and charming.

by Anonymousreply 318July 24, 2022 8:30 PM

Hello, daddy!

(not the photo below, but the older one they show in the article)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319July 24, 2022 8:33 PM

All roads lead back to Follies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 320July 24, 2022 8:35 PM

But no Pousse Cafe, r320?

by Anonymousreply 321July 24, 2022 8:37 PM

DL Theatre Gossip Threads are Bizarro World when it comes to men deemed "hot."

by Anonymousreply 322July 24, 2022 8:42 PM

[Quote] Why are they highlighting Sandy Duncan?

Because HoMo Rocca is a weird DL-reading broadway hanger-on

by Anonymousreply 323July 24, 2022 8:42 PM

Will they do one onMaureen Moore?

by Anonymousreply 324July 24, 2022 8:43 PM

The choreography for Nine is credited to Tommy Tune but in fact Grover Dale came in to stage and choreograph, uncredited, his wife Anita Morris's big number A Call from the Vatican. Tune, Dale and Morris were all good friends.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325July 24, 2022 8:46 PM

Why not, r316?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326July 24, 2022 8:47 PM

R323 Mo seems to be the one on CBS Sunday Morning assigned to the dowager actresses - Angie Dickinson, Sandy, etc.

by Anonymousreply 327July 24, 2022 8:47 PM

Nanette Fabray!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328July 24, 2022 8:51 PM

Cynthia Herman was in the Wendy Wasserstein play Uncommon Women and Others onstage and then on PBS. She was also in some deodorant commercial and there are outtakes of her and a fellow actress pushing up their t-shirts and making out with each other.

by Anonymousreply 329July 24, 2022 8:52 PM

[quote]She was also in some deodorant commercial and there are outtakes of her and a fellow actress pushing up their t-shirts and making out with each other.

I just tried looking on Youtube for that, r329, but couldn't find it. One of the midnight movies we'd go to in the '70s was a compilation of vintage commercials and that's where I first saw it.

by Anonymousreply 330July 24, 2022 9:00 PM

R327, And me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331July 24, 2022 9:04 PM

How could I forget Mitzi? My deepest apologies.

by Anonymousreply 332July 24, 2022 9:15 PM

Don and Sandy do The Castle Walk. Who knew straight men can dance like this?

The Castle Walk, popularized by Vernon and Irene Castle, was a famous popular dance at the turn of the last century. Onna White used it for the Shipoopi number and even the current revival quotes from it.

by Anonymousreply 333July 24, 2022 9:21 PM

Some of Don's moves and poses suggest that perhaps......he's a bit more flexible

by Anonymousreply 334July 24, 2022 9:22 PM

Sorry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335July 24, 2022 9:22 PM

[quote]Grover Dale is also wonderful, along with George Chakiris dancing in Jacques Demy's "Young Girls of Cherbourg" also with Gene Kelly.

That would be "The Young Girls of ROCHEFORT"

by Anonymousreply 336July 24, 2022 9:42 PM

[quote]Sandy Duncan was just profiled on CBS this morning. Brought back happy memories of watching her play Peter Pan. What a shame it wasn’t taped for tv. She was brilliant.

She was and unfortunately this is all we have and it's downright thrilling. She lost the Tony to Lupone in "Evita"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337July 24, 2022 9:51 PM

[quote]She was and unfortunately this is all we have

Not quite, r337...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338July 24, 2022 9:55 PM

My favorite part was when Sandy referred to Mo as "Ro".

by Anonymousreply 339July 24, 2022 9:57 PM

That clip of Sandy and Don doing The Castle Walk is musical comedy heaven. I've seen The Music Man many times and those Castle Walk steps in Shipoopi are obvious. Isn't there even a line of dialog in the show right before the number where one of the boys says something like "Come on, Professor, show us the latest steps" or something like that?

by Anonymousreply 340July 24, 2022 9:58 PM

Forget Mary Joan. What about the late Pamela Payton Wright who was Streep's contemporary and thought by some to be the next big thing? I think her highlight was being on One Life To Live. And what about the male next big thing? The late Paul Rudd. No, not that Paul Rudd but the dreamy one who traipsed naked on the boards in The Changing Room?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 341July 24, 2022 10:03 PM

Now I won't be satisfied until Meryl plays the pope. How? Why? Who cares, she's Meryl.

by Anonymousreply 342July 24, 2022 10:07 PM

Personally, r341, I think Tillie was her highlight...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343July 24, 2022 10:08 PM

Bootleg of Sandy and Don performing "He Loves and She Loves" from My One and Only ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344July 24, 2022 10:20 PM

...and Don's bare feets in 'S'Wonderful" from the same.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 345July 24, 2022 10:22 PM

More of Son and Sandy in My One and Only. Just wonderful. Those were the days, kids.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 346July 24, 2022 10:25 PM

Don Correia is hideous. Sandy is only with him because she lost an eye.

by Anonymousreply 347July 24, 2022 10:26 PM

Such wit, r347...

by Anonymousreply 348July 24, 2022 10:29 PM

Don wiping up the floor literally with Ann Reinking. He's so much better than John Mineo that you wonder if he did the role originally if he would have gotten the reviews.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 349July 24, 2022 10:30 PM

R348, the DL is too rough for you.

by Anonymousreply 350July 24, 2022 10:31 PM

"review of Tom Hanks play"

Yawn...

by Anonymousreply 351July 24, 2022 10:32 PM

Not just Brooklyn R287. My old manager, a staunch Upper West Side Jew used to say he went to Europe more than he went to the East Side.

by Anonymousreply 352July 24, 2022 10:33 PM

I guess he used Newark Airport then, since you have to go through the east side to get to JFK airport.

by Anonymousreply 353July 24, 2022 10:35 PM

Are you really that pedantic, queen? 🙄

by Anonymousreply 354July 24, 2022 10:46 PM

Thanks for the Stritch! Jason Graae was cute as a button.

by Anonymousreply 355July 24, 2022 11:05 PM

I saw the original Broadway production of HALF A SIXPENCE, but with the second, American cast. I thought it was just okay. Had I seen it with the originals, maybe I would have liked it better. Tommy Steele is really electric in the Ed Sullivan clip. But watching him on screen is like a frontal attack. I tried to watch THE HAPPIEST MILLIONAIRE a couple of years ago, and it was painful, mostly because of him.

by Anonymousreply 356July 24, 2022 11:07 PM

Saw Half a Sixpence with the ill-fated Dick Kallman in Detroit. Onna White was a genius.

by Anonymousreply 357July 24, 2022 11:09 PM

If Diana Ross had ever done Funny Girl, it would have just been called GIRL!

by Anonymousreply 358July 24, 2022 11:13 PM

Oh that’s right, Dick Kallman is on the list of second-tier Broadway murder victims, too, along with Danny Lockin.

But what is it that happened to Jerry Dodge? He wasn’t murdered, was he?

by Anonymousreply 359July 24, 2022 11:25 PM

I can't believe how adorably hot Don Correia is in that clip with Ann Reinking, who dances great but looks awful with her stringy greasy hair and ineptly unsupported titties. But poor Don, he really was born too late, wasn't he? With those looks and that talent, he might have thrived at MGM in the 1940s.

by Anonymousreply 360July 24, 2022 11:31 PM

I saw the original Broadway production of EARL CARROLL'S VANITIES, but Helena Callahan was out and the understudy was ineffective as The Tall One. I was only 15, but I remember noticing she wasn't tall.

by Anonymousreply 361July 24, 2022 11:32 PM

R359, And there was the unsolved murder of Barbara Colby.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 362July 24, 2022 11:33 PM

Don Correia has big … feet.

by Anonymousreply 363July 24, 2022 11:34 PM

[quote][R348], the DL is too rough for you.

No, r347, but sometimes it's too hoary. Get some fresh material.

by Anonymousreply 364July 25, 2022 12:07 AM

R341, I'm delighted to report that I saw Pamela Payton-Wright opposite George Grizzard in a 2002 Hartford Stage revival of SEASCAPE. It moved to Broadway in 2005 -- well, same director and production design, and same leading man, but with 3 new actors, alas. I don't say that to defame Frances Sternhagen, who was probably good in the part, but Miss Payton-Wright was just superb in Hartford.

In 2003, she met a similar fate when the Robert Falls/Brian Dennehy LONG DAY'S JOURNEY moved to Broadway from Chicago. There the replacement was the searingly brilliant Vanessa Redgrave -- but at least PP-W got to play the part again for a few performances when Redgrave took time off to mourn her late mother.

by Anonymousreply 365July 25, 2022 12:42 AM

Can someone post the link again for the full Julliard WNET show? It's seems to have disappeared. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 366July 25, 2022 12:58 AM

Acc to The Times, Dodge died in 1974 at age 37 at home from "chemical poisoning." He had been treated for a virus infection. Was this thought to be suspicious at the time?

by Anonymousreply 367July 25, 2022 1:00 AM

Has the full show been posted, r366?

by Anonymousreply 368July 25, 2022 1:23 AM

I was a huge fan of Pamela Payton-Wright and also worked with her a few times. Wonderful woman, very sweet and fragile and funny and so unique. Her talented son Oliver Butler is an up and coming director.

But I'd never put her in the same generation as Meryl Streep as Pamela was acting on Broadway as early as the mid-1960s. I first saw her on Broadway in a play called Jimmy Shine with Dustin Hoffman. Also, saw her as Juliet and Laura in Menagerie at Circle in the Square in the early 70s. She had about a 10 year head start on Streep even if she never came close to her level of fame.

by Anonymousreply 369July 25, 2022 1:28 AM

[quote]Acc to The Times, Dodge died in 1974 at age 37 at home from "chemical poisoning."

What does that mean, exactly? Drug overdose? He was given the wrong medication & was allergic? He died on Halloween. I wonder if it was related to that?

by Anonymousreply 370July 25, 2022 2:15 AM

I think Lisa Kirk offed him.

by Anonymousreply 371July 25, 2022 2:54 AM

I remember reading somewhere (it may have even been on DL) that Dodge was suspected of being one of the very first cases of AIDS deaths, years before anyone even had an inkling of what it was. Of course, I'm not arguing for or against that, just saying that I read that rumor.

by Anonymousreply 372July 25, 2022 4:04 AM

Who had Jerry Dodge? Surely on an elder gay thread like this, there must be someone.

by Anonymousreply 373July 25, 2022 4:12 AM

This is just anecdotal, and may be totally wrong, but I remember that in the Broadway community it was widely rumored that Jerry Dodge took medicine that was past its use-by date.

That's only a rumor, remember. But I seem to recall that he was still in (or had just been in) Mack & Mabel, and he didn't look like someone dying of a wasting disease.

by Anonymousreply 374July 25, 2022 4:22 AM

I forgot to mention this--can you actually die of taking medicine past its use-by date? It sounds extreme to me. But that's what people were saying.

by Anonymousreply 375July 25, 2022 4:25 AM

[quote]can you actually die of taking medicine past its use-by date?

It's possible but very rare. Usually when you take a med post its use by date, the efficacy is just less. But not always. It depends on the med.

by Anonymousreply 376July 25, 2022 4:39 AM

Name one expired med that kills, r376. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I've never heard of it.

by Anonymousreply 377July 25, 2022 4:48 AM

Does Tommy Tune have another show (as director) in him? Will we ever see the Beanster back on Broadway, this time in a play? Was The Fucking Visit really Chita's swan song? Who's the hot Audrey coming into Little Shop? Expect an iconic historic performance! Hadestown is about to welcome Lilias White has the new Hermes: truth or bww rumour?

by Anonymousreply 378July 25, 2022 5:06 AM

Thanks for all the video links above of Don Correia in his prime. Nice to know that I was in love with him 40 years ago for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 379July 25, 2022 5:11 AM

Isn’t Beanie Feielstein straight? After all, she played Fanny Brice on BROADWAY.

by Anonymousreply 380July 25, 2022 5:25 AM

Since I missed the Sandy Duncan piece on CBS Sunday Morning, I went and found it and thought I'd post it here for anyone else who missed it:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 381July 25, 2022 5:35 AM

[quote]That clip of Sandy and Don doing The Castle Walk is musical comedy heaven.

Yes. I can't stop watching it and despite she was the big star dancer at the time and he doesn't seem to be trying to pull focus, I can't take my eyes off of HIM.

by Anonymousreply 382July 25, 2022 5:38 AM

Don and Sandy in 1983.

ADORABLE!!!!

Don was definitely rocking the classic "Clone" look. Super cute and hot!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 383July 25, 2022 5:49 AM

I prefer him with a stache but here he is in his physical prime:

Humpy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 384July 25, 2022 6:13 AM

[quote]The choreography for Nine is credited to Tommy Tune but in fact Grover Dale came in to stage and choreograph, uncredited, his wife Anita Morris's big number A Call from the Vatican. Tune, Dale and Morris were all good friends.

There was lots of publicity at the time that Morris was actually nude under the skimpy lace outfit she wore, but it was all just publicity, She always wore a nude colored bodystocking underneath.

by Anonymousreply 385July 25, 2022 7:30 AM

Expired tetracycline can kill your kidneys

by Anonymousreply 386July 25, 2022 7:34 AM

That Castle Walk number at R335 really is wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 387July 25, 2022 7:40 AM

R385, I remember some television stations refused to air the Nine commercial because of Anita's costume.

by Anonymousreply 388July 25, 2022 9:21 AM

Take it from Anita herself!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 389July 25, 2022 10:47 AM

Well she did the entire number with the costume looking quite nude underneath the lace on Johnny Carson's desk. Though I figured it was a flesh colored body stocking. But one can dream even on a gay site. Saw the production with Sergio and there has been nothing on Broadway like it or Dreamgirls since then. The end of Broadway I call it. Aids was about to hit like a tornado.

by Anonymousreply 390July 25, 2022 11:27 AM

The type of Broadway that appealed mostly to gays ended (Nine, A Chorus Line, My One and Only, Dreamgirls.). The kind of Broadway that appeals mostly to straights and tourists was just about to start.

by Anonymousreply 391July 25, 2022 11:43 AM

Re the CBS profile: I didn't need to see Mo Rocca kicking his leg, like a cut-rate Chita.

by Anonymousreply 392July 25, 2022 12:05 PM

I'm glad you included My One and Only in your list of the early 80s Broadway musicals that were sort of the last gasp, R391. I admired it for several reasons. It was one of Broadway's great saves from out of town disaster, when Tune took the reins from Peter Sellars and brought in his team to work quickly. It might not have been a classic for the ages, but it had a crazy, loopy charm, just an anarchic spirit of anything could happen. I remember there was one crossover with the 'Ritz Quartet,' four Elder Gays, in a car traveling slowly in mid air, as they languidly sang a reprise of "He Loves and She Loves." It served no other purpose but to delight. I also remember a number, "High Hat," that was performed partially in black light? It's not on the cast recording, but it was a highlight. It even made it into the TV commercial (see below). It was also great to look at, with sensational Michael Gibson orchestrations. Cats was the big deal that season. Once was enough for me with that one, but I made a few visits back to My One and Only.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 393July 25, 2022 12:16 PM

No one needs to see the thoroughly z list mid Mo Rocca do anything.

by Anonymousreply 394July 25, 2022 12:16 PM

Twiggy was vampy and delightful opposite the very handsome Tune. And the ensemble all had a chance to shine individually. One of my very favorite shows.

by Anonymousreply 395July 25, 2022 1:03 PM

Twiggy was barely serviceable as a musical comedy actress.

by Anonymousreply 396July 25, 2022 1:05 PM

Did anyone see Lucie Arnaz, and her hummingbird vibrato, on tour in My One and Only?

by Anonymousreply 397July 25, 2022 1:07 PM

Can't remember if I posted it on a Theatre Gossip thread or elsewhere on DL but I recently came across Ken Russell's THE BOYFRIEND on TCM and was bowled over by Twiggy and the entire film all over again. I don't think it's available for streaming anywhere. It really needs to be reissued in a special DVD and celebrated. It was not appreciated enough on its debut.

by Anonymousreply 398July 25, 2022 1:16 PM

Antonia Ellis made more of an impression on me in The Boyfriend than Twiggy.

by Anonymousreply 399July 25, 2022 1:26 PM

You posted it somewhere r398 and I watched (and loved) it as a $2.99 rental on Amazon Prime based on your post.

For which I thank you!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 400July 25, 2022 1:26 PM

"Pick Out A Simple Tune" wasn't in the original Broadway production of "Half A Sixpence". The only number with a ukulele was "Money To Burn", My partner once did a production of the show and didn't recognize it. Was it plucked (see what I did there?) from a long-lost trunk and added to the current West End production? Can't find any reference to it in the reviews. It's a smoothly choreographed number, no matter what its origin.

by Anonymousreply 401July 25, 2022 1:52 PM

The 1960s welcomed many great (and not so great) British music hall style musicals to Broadway, including Sixpence, Oliver!, Pickwick, Walking Happy, Roar of the Greasepaint..., The Girl Who Came to Supper.....and I'm sure there were others. I certainly preferred them to the British invasion of Broadway in the 1980s.

Does anyone remember a cute super-talented British performer named Roy Castle, who played a supporting role in Pickwick? Never saw that show but fondly remember his guest appearances on The Garry Moore Show and other TV of the time.

by Anonymousreply 402July 25, 2022 2:08 PM

[quote]I recently came across Ken Russell's THE BOYFRIEND on TCM and was bowled over by Twiggy and the entire film all over again. I don't think it's available for streaming anywhere. It really needs to be reissued in a special DVD and celebrated. It was not appreciated enough on its debut.

It was not appreciated on its debut because it's a bizarre misfire. In my opinion, the movie is an abomination, but for what it's worth, and rather surprisingly, it is available on Blu-Ray.

by Anonymousreply 403July 25, 2022 2:49 PM

I think Mo Rocca is a charming and knowledgeable interviewer, and you bitches who are ragging on him are just pea green with envy over the fact that he gets to interview beloved stars on major network TV.

by Anonymousreply 404July 25, 2022 2:51 PM

HI, Mo! Do you also think you're handsome and hung?

We [italic] know [/italic] you're here.

by Anonymousreply 405July 25, 2022 3:07 PM

Moulin Rouge celebrating three years on Broadway is a move which would make Merrick proud

by Anonymousreply 406July 25, 2022 3:09 PM

Mo slept with Nathan Lane. He told me so.

by Anonymousreply 407July 25, 2022 3:27 PM

Of course he told you that. Certainly.

by Anonymousreply 408July 25, 2022 3:30 PM

THE KITE RUNNER got very "MEH" reviews on Bway. It's a limited engagement (October)... will it even run?

Wasn't it a big hit in London?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 409July 25, 2022 3:46 PM

I tried imagining Mo Rocca fucking Nathan Lane and now I like girls.

by Anonymousreply 410July 25, 2022 3:48 PM

You can have 'em.

by Anonymousreply 411July 25, 2022 4:04 PM

Why would I invent that, r408?

by Anonymousreply 412July 25, 2022 4:26 PM

Why would he ADMIT he had sex with Nathan Lane is the real question.

by Anonymousreply 413July 25, 2022 4:57 PM

He didn't say it with pride.

by Anonymousreply 414July 25, 2022 5:06 PM

R405 = bitchy queen who mistakenly thinks it's funny to "joke" that any positive comment about an actor or any other public figure MUST have been made by that person themself.

by Anonymousreply 415July 25, 2022 5:09 PM

I’d rather have sex w Cleo Lane[sic]

by Anonymousreply 416July 25, 2022 5:18 PM

I'd rather have sex with Lois Lane.

by Anonymousreply 417July 25, 2022 5:21 PM

I'd rather have sex with Lois Lane.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 418July 25, 2022 5:28 PM

Maybe they didn’t have sex. Maybe they just lay together

by Anonymousreply 419July 25, 2022 5:48 PM

[quote]Mo slept with Nathan Lane. He told me so.

There's an image I didn't need to conjure today.

by Anonymousreply 420July 25, 2022 5:53 PM

What a repulsive pairing. All that pasty skin and all that TALKING

by Anonymousreply 421July 25, 2022 6:04 PM

R401 “Money to Burn” is all about Kipps wanting a banjo, not a ukulele.

by Anonymousreply 422July 25, 2022 6:04 PM

[quote]R386 Expired tetracycline can kill your kidneys

Snacking on rancid snatch is also dangerous.

Just an FYI for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 423July 25, 2022 6:17 PM

[quote] "Pick Out A Simple Tune" wasn't in the original Broadway production of "Half A Sixpence". The only number with a ukulele was "Money To Burn", My partner once did a production of the show and didn't recognize it. Was it plucked (see what I did there?) from a long-lost trunk and added to the current West End production? Can't find any reference to it in the reviews. It's a smoothly choreographed number, no matter what its origin.

George Stiles & Anthony Drewe wrote new songs for that production of Half a Sixpence, and rewrote several of the original David Heneker songs. "Pick Out a Simple Tune" was one of their new songs, and probably the best of their contributions. This was similar to what they did on the Mackintosh/Disney Mary Poppins with the original Sherman Brothers material. Charlie Stemp carried the thing on his shoulders and was charming, though I found the new production pushy and aggressive. Even Tommy Steele might have said "too much."

by Anonymousreply 424July 25, 2022 6:29 PM

Tommy Steele NEVER said "too much."

by Anonymousreply 425July 25, 2022 6:44 PM

[Quote] Tommy Steele NEVER said "too much."

I don't know about that. How hung was Larry Parnes?

by Anonymousreply 426July 25, 2022 7:17 PM

'The kind of Broadway that appeals mostly to straights and tourists was just about to start.'

Yes from The Black Crook through the early 80s the Broadway audience was overwhelmingly gay men. Who else would go to see South Pacific, My Fair Lady, and Fiddler on the Roof? Then they started filling the Broadway theaters with the shit lying in the streets of Times Square and the straights started fighting to get in.

by Anonymousreply 427July 25, 2022 7:21 PM

[quote] I didn't need to see Mo Rocca kicking his leg, like a cut-rate Chita.

Apparently his giant penis needed to breathe for a moment.

I wonder if Mo and Don Correia compared size?

by Anonymousreply 428July 25, 2022 7:26 PM

[quote] Mo slept with Nathan Lane. He told me so.

Not sure which I find more astonishing - that someone slept with Nathan, or that they admitted it

by Anonymousreply 429July 25, 2022 7:27 PM

Don Correia was a good dance and a nice-looking guy but, after seeing him about 3 or 4 times onstage, I realized that he just didn't have "IT". The break-out dancer gene that made him stand-out. I once checked him out while in Shubert Alley and the look he gave me said "I Am NOT Gay". I retreated.

R186, I happened to catch CLYDE'S on YouTube and was surprised how much I enjoyed it. Really rough show but it kept me interested, especially the women actresses who were Superb.

R174, Sondheim let himself go late 60s-early 70s. Greasy hair, unkempt, smoking like a chimney. Not Attractive at all and had that look later given to Johnny Depp - "I smell". After his heart attack, he cleaned up his act nicely.

by Anonymousreply 430July 25, 2022 8:09 PM

[quote] especially the women actresses

There are men actresses?

by Anonymousreply 431July 25, 2022 8:10 PM

[Quote] There are men actresses?

Cough.

by Anonymousreply 432July 25, 2022 8:23 PM

I used to go to the same gym as Nathan and I've seen enough to be disgusted.

by Anonymousreply 433July 25, 2022 8:29 PM

I wonder if Sondheim got to see that production of Follies in Dresden where the storyline was adjusted to be about the collapse of the German Democratic Republic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 434July 25, 2022 8:37 PM

"Then they started filling the Broadway theaters with the shit lying in the streets of Times Square and the straights started fighting to get in."

Amen. A major curve on the downward spiral of culture....

by Anonymousreply 435July 25, 2022 9:11 PM

Str8s weren't interested in Fiddler? Maybe that was a joke.

by Anonymousreply 436July 25, 2022 9:25 PM

RIP Paul Sorvino.

BAJOUR!

by Anonymousreply 437July 25, 2022 9:34 PM

I had no idea Sorvino was in Bajour but he played "Second Patrolman."

by Anonymousreply 438July 25, 2022 9:46 PM

Second Patrolman >>> Man 6

by Anonymousreply 439July 25, 2022 9:56 PM

[quote] Did anyone see Lucie Arnaz, and her hummingbird vibrato, on tour in My One and Only?

There was some kind of brouhaha in LA when Lucie did it. Something about Larry L telling Lucie she shouldn’t kiss Tommy in the show because of AIDS. And Sandy D, who had started the tour, insisting she was fine after kissing him for a year.

by Anonymousreply 440July 25, 2022 10:04 PM

R388, that is not true. No one banned a commercial with Anita Morris' costume because there was no such commercial. The only one was the one linked above where she covers herself and teases that you will see more live.

by Anonymousreply 441July 25, 2022 10:07 PM

They wouldn't allow her to do her number on the Tonys.

by Anonymousreply 442July 25, 2022 10:09 PM

“Who’s not eating an-y snatch? I’mmmmmm notttt.”

by Anonymousreply 443July 25, 2022 10:51 PM

R440. Meanwhile, who was Larry kissing?

by Anonymousreply 444July 25, 2022 10:56 PM

Chits is on the road tonight!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 445July 25, 2022 11:34 PM

Jesus Christ, the girl's 89!

by Anonymousreply 446July 25, 2022 11:38 PM

[quote]Jesus Christ, the girl's 89!

So young.

by Anonymousreply 447July 25, 2022 11:40 PM

Tweet by Paul Rudnick today:

Critical Gay Theory tells us there's nothing wrong with schoolchildren debating the different Sondheim songs for the Lucy & Jessie slot in Follies, but violence is never the answer. Unless someone asks "What's Follies?"

by Anonymousreply 448July 25, 2022 11:41 PM

Very funny! But I'd rather hear a tweet from Paul Rudnick explaining why he departed from THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA. In any case, seems like he dodged a bullet.

by Anonymousreply 449July 26, 2022 12:11 AM

THIS DAY IN BROADWAY HISTORY: In 1975, "A Chorus Line" opened at the Shubert Theatre.

by Anonymousreply 450July 26, 2022 12:41 AM

R441, That was the very commercial that either Channel 9 or Channel 11 would not air in 1982.

by Anonymousreply 451July 26, 2022 12:51 AM

R440, How ironic, since Larry Luckinbill was an original The Boys in the Band cast member.

by Anonymousreply 452July 26, 2022 12:54 AM

Don C in that clip from Over Here! could Get. It.

by Anonymousreply 453July 26, 2022 1:00 AM

[quote] Jesus Christ, the girl's 89!

So young.

by Anonymousreply 454July 26, 2022 1:04 AM

It's not ironic because of Larry's Boys credit...

by Anonymousreply 455July 26, 2022 1:17 AM

His eyes are too close together.

by Anonymousreply 456July 26, 2022 1:17 AM

I ran across this again from the Eleanor Parker thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 457July 26, 2022 3:08 AM

R430 Yeah, Don Correia was humpy and talented (back in the day) but at heart he was a chorus boy playing at being a lead. He didn't have the necessary star presence to go much further.

He turned into what he would have been if he hadn't gone to have a Broadway career...a successful real estate salesman who would have been the star of his local community theater once a year.

by Anonymousreply 458July 26, 2022 5:58 AM

As for the long, slow decline of Broadway, obviously AIDS played a huge role in that. It decimated an entire generation of talent.

All you have to do is look at the Tony Awards from 1980 to 1995....as those years rolled by, the interesting inventive theater of the early 80s was replaced by hideous theater created by boring straight people. Or, to be fair, boring corporate people many of whom happened to be straight (though not all).

So, AIDS wiped out all that potential then corporations figured out how to milk their tentpoles. Basically, AIDS and Disney helped kill innovative and interesting theater...and music....and film....

by Anonymousreply 459July 26, 2022 6:05 AM

Was this really never posted when the Correia and Follies connection came up?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 460July 26, 2022 6:19 AM

Might a different last name instead of "Correia" have helped his career?

by Anonymousreply 461July 26, 2022 6:21 AM

It does sound like an unpleasant medical condition, R461.

by Anonymousreply 462July 26, 2022 6:25 AM

or that war on "M*A*S*H".

by Anonymousreply 463July 26, 2022 6:42 AM

Don’t Sandy and Don have have a gay, very queeny son? I know they have two sons, but one is straight.

by Anonymousreply 464July 26, 2022 7:50 AM

[quote]corporations figured out how to milk their tentpoles

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 465July 26, 2022 8:00 AM

Let’s discuss vintage gossip.

In the last revival of The Music Man, Ruth Williamson played Mrs. Shinn. She left the production claiming her wigs gave her a scalp infection.

What was the *real* reason?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 466July 26, 2022 9:52 AM

Was Lea Michele in it, R466?

by Anonymousreply 467July 26, 2022 10:31 AM

I was going to share this even before I read what r459 had to say - but it is certainly a good example. Every image and video I see from this show reminds me of that vulgar yet stultifying evening I spent there when the show was new. It is like a flashback to a bad word experience

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 468July 26, 2022 10:31 AM

A bad word experience?

by Anonymousreply 469July 26, 2022 12:09 PM

Ugh. Bad WAR experience.

by Anonymousreply 470July 26, 2022 12:11 PM

The Piano Lesson is going to the Barrymore. Now we're just waiting on Into the Woods to announce an extension.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 471July 26, 2022 1:39 PM

[quote]AUSTRALIA: For any readers who were confused by the item included in yesterday’s AUSTRALIA section about Jagged Little Pill’s Australia tour being canceled, the news from AussieTheatre pertains to the Australian tour, and not the North American tour launching later this month, which is not canceled.

Just how dumb are some of the readers of Broadway Briefing that this clarification was necessary?

by Anonymousreply 472July 26, 2022 1:55 PM

[quote]Basically, AIDS and Disney helped kill innovative and interesting theater...and music....and film....

And don't forget the Brits -- more specifically, Cameron Mackintosh, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Trevor Nunn, and a few others.

by Anonymousreply 473July 26, 2022 2:03 PM

KINKY BOOTS is back!

Off-Bway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 474July 26, 2022 2:04 PM

Was anyone clamoring for a return of Kinky Boots?

by Anonymousreply 475July 26, 2022 2:05 PM

Do the Dodgers own New World Stages?

Maybe with Kinky Boots and the return of the Yiddish Fiddler they'll finally make New World Stages a viable and profitable off-Broadway space. The off-Broadway version of Jersey Boys had been doing very well there but never really regained its audiences after the pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 476July 26, 2022 2:09 PM

[r475] well since you bitter queens SHIT all over my grand Funny Girl revival, my bank account needs something!

by Anonymousreply 477July 26, 2022 2:22 PM

[quote] Do the Dodgers own New World Stages?

Once upon a time, but not anymore. It's now operated by the Shubert Organization.

Yiddish Fiddler, which is truly excellent, is a limited run. And Kinky is at Stage 42, a Shubert property, which has been an impossible house for many reasons.

by Anonymousreply 478July 26, 2022 2:25 PM

New World Stages isn't a bad space for smaller shows. Not great, but not bad. I can't imagine what the "backstage" conditions are like, though, as it really wasn't designed for live performances.

It still lives on in my mind as the $2/$3 movie multiplex it once was in the early 90s.

by Anonymousreply 479July 26, 2022 2:49 PM

Correia was in the LA company of A Chorus Line playing Mike. I don't think he ever missed a performance, which proves how seriously he took his job. He was talented but IMO, he didn't have that extra something that Gregg Burge or Hinton Battle had that made you sit up and take notice.

by Anonymousreply 480July 26, 2022 2:52 PM

I remember when New World started out as a movie theatre and then became a second run theatre, charging a few dollar per movie—and now off Bway theaters

by Anonymousreply 481July 26, 2022 2:59 PM

I loved the Yiddish Fiddler. And I had the best seat I’ve ever had in the legitimate theatre.

by Anonymousreply 482July 26, 2022 3:22 PM

I thought that the Yiddish Fiddler was going to NWS and not back to Stage 42 this time around?

Now that Into the Woods is firmly ensconced at the St. James I wonder if it could last several years there with constant stunt casting a la Chicago? So many roles there would be catnip to has-been celebs.

by Anonymousreply 483July 26, 2022 3:23 PM

This is how old I am- I used to go to that theater BEFORE it was a 2nd run house. They used to show movies that were at the tail end of their first runs, and charge full price for them, so no one would ever go there because the films were already played out. I would go, pay for one movie, and then sneak into two others.

When they switched over to 2nd run and were charging $2 for tickets, the place was always packed. People didn't give a shit what they saw, if it was $2, they'd go. I remember seeing the film Restoration on a Saturday night with a nearly sold out house, filled with Hells Kitchen trash who had no idea what they had stumbled into. There were crying babies and talking back to the screen. My last time going at night. But I was working on Broadway at the time and I would go to matinees in between shows on Wednesdays. What made me laugh was, after they switched to $2 tickets, they had ushers stationed at the doors of each theater checking tickets so people couldn't sneak in, when it was full price, no one gave a shit.

by Anonymousreply 484July 26, 2022 3:23 PM

[Quote] Now that Into the Woods is firmly ensconced at the St. James I wonder if it could last several years there with constant stunt casting a la Chicago? So many roles there would be catnip to has-been celebs.

Don't give Loretta Swit any ideas.

by Anonymousreply 485July 26, 2022 3:28 PM

[quote] Don't give Loretta Swit any ideas.

Someone has to play the cow.

by Anonymousreply 486July 26, 2022 3:33 PM

[quote] It still lives on in my mind as the $2/$3 movie multiplex it once was in the early 90s.

My boyfriend and I jerked each other off during a movie there.

by Anonymousreply 487July 26, 2022 3:42 PM

Luckily, everyone else was engrossed in "Sister Act" ...

by Anonymousreply 488July 26, 2022 3:51 PM

I saw MISERY in that $2 theater.

A bargain!

by Anonymousreply 489July 26, 2022 3:52 PM

[quote] I thought that the Yiddish Fiddler was going to NWS and not back to Stage 42 this time around?

That's correct.

by Anonymousreply 490July 26, 2022 3:57 PM

[quote]My boyfriend and I jerked each other off during a movie there.

I hope it wasn't "Schindler's List."

by Anonymousreply 491July 26, 2022 4:19 PM

It was Kindergarten Cop.

by Anonymousreply 492July 26, 2022 4:27 PM

[quote]I hope it wasn't "Schindler's List."

I hope the seats have been changed.

by Anonymousreply 493July 26, 2022 4:28 PM

R480, When did Hinton Battle play Mike in A Chorus Line?

by Anonymousreply 494July 26, 2022 4:39 PM

Do the Dodgers do anything anymore in NYC theater? Does it even exist?

by Anonymousreply 495July 26, 2022 4:40 PM

I saw Priscilla Queen of the Desert at that $2 theater. Was it called something like Worldwide Plaza cinema? It was attached to the Worldwide Plaza apartments which were reduced rent apartments. Everything about that block was cheap including my date who took me to the movies there. But I did go there in my poor New Yorker days.

by Anonymousreply 496July 26, 2022 4:46 PM

Yes! Worldwide Cinemas.

Linked article says it started doing $2/$3 second runs in 1995/1996, but my memory tells me it was a bit earlier.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 497July 26, 2022 4:57 PM

[quote] Linked article says it started doing $2/$3 second runs in 1995/1996, but my memory tells me it was a bit earlier.

It was early 1994 (which is why I question the poster upthread claiming they saw Misery there for $2.) I can recall being in my first year at NYU and right before the fall semester started, I went to see three reg priced movies there- Strictly Ballroom, Poetic Justice and something else I can't remember. Then they switched it up a few months later and the first time I went to the bargain priced version, I saw What's Love Got to Do With It for the 2nd time. (I have a near photographic memory for useless shit.)

by Anonymousreply 498July 26, 2022 5:03 PM

Has Patti LuPone commented on Paul Sorvino’s death?

by Anonymousreply 499July 26, 2022 5:10 PM

Maybe if ITW extends Miss Suzanne Sommers can finally play the witch!

by Anonymousreply 500July 26, 2022 5:10 PM

My mother told me to only say something good when a person dies.

Paul Sorvino is dead.

Good.

by Anonymousreply 501July 26, 2022 5:11 PM

As a sidenote, Jerry Orbach, much beloved by his peers, had a kind and classy word for almost all of his theatre and TV colleagues. An old-school gentleman.

Except for one he simply did not, could not bring himself to care for. Not even a little...

Paul Sorvino.

by Anonymousreply 502July 26, 2022 5:14 PM

Boy, Patti can really hold a grudge.

by Anonymousreply 503July 26, 2022 5:14 PM

[quote]Maybe if ITW extends Miss Suzanne Sommers can finally play the witch!

Is she going to add that extra M to her last name to play the role, the way Kaye Ballard removed the E from her first name to star in "Molly"?

by Anonymousreply 504July 26, 2022 5:15 PM

Did he have a classy word for the critic who said he sang flat?

by Anonymousreply 505July 26, 2022 5:15 PM

Hinton Battle and Greg Burge were wonderful dancers, but not box-office. Battle, with his many Tonys, surprisingly was never promoted as much as say, Audra, around the time they were tied with as many Tonys as each other. I saw Don Correia in "Singin' in the Rain" which he was fine, but no one (or any production) was going to live up to that movie's reputation and that fact that that film really does live up to its hype. Seeing Correia in other things, and those clips with Sandy, he was a superb dancer though and quite cute.

by Anonymousreply 506July 26, 2022 5:15 PM

I went out a couple of times with a music director who had conducted Patti LuPone on Broadway and asked if she was difficult to deal with. He said that she was all right basically, but she had this attitude which she walked around with the aura of being "entitled", which was his word.

by Anonymousreply 507July 26, 2022 5:20 PM

She was entitled to fall on her ass in the Buenos Aires number.

by Anonymousreply 508July 26, 2022 5:20 PM

Take back your stink, r500.

by Anonymousreply 509July 26, 2022 5:21 PM

I never saw that, but I did see Ann Reinkind fall during "The Music and the Mirror" number in "A Chorus Line", which was kind of jarring to see, as she was usually such a wonderful dancer. I forget how she sang it -- they must have changed the keys, since she didn't have Donna McKechnie's voice or range.

by Anonymousreply 510July 26, 2022 5:22 PM

She didn't have a church lady soprano? How sad.

by Anonymousreply 511July 26, 2022 5:24 PM

Reinking, that is.

Jerry Orbach had a really fine vocal instrument, but he did have intonation problems, so yes, he did sing flat. Try listening to the OCR of "Promises, Promises", or better yet, listen to the one remastered where he and some of the other guys in their duets or trios were cleaned up (auto-tuned or whatever) by that guy who runs Kritzerland -- much better and in tune.

by Anonymousreply 512July 26, 2022 5:25 PM

What do you remember of Bruce Yarnell?

by Anonymousreply 513July 26, 2022 5:26 PM

Beautiful voice and good-looking guy. Never saw him in person, as he died in a plane crash many years ago. He's great on "Granny Get Your Gun" with Merm and on "The Happiest Girl in the World" along with Cyril Ritchard and Janice Rule. His widow is a well-known voice teacher in NY.

by Anonymousreply 514July 26, 2022 5:28 PM

Fuck off, Benay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 515July 26, 2022 5:28 PM

I think Yarnell did a stint on "Bonanza" on tv back in the 1960s for a number of episodes.

by Anonymousreply 516July 26, 2022 5:29 PM

I saw Sandy Duncan fall during Encores “No, No Nanette.” She went down smiling and she came right back up with a huge grin on her face. If I didn’t know the show, I’d swear that bit was choreographed.

by Anonymousreply 517July 26, 2022 5:35 PM

Sandy was a masochist!

by Anonymousreply 518July 26, 2022 5:36 PM

The girl who fell down? Get your own schtick, Duncan!

by Anonymousreply 519July 26, 2022 5:36 PM

[quote] I never saw that, but I did see Ann Reinkind fall during "The Music and the Mirror" number in "A Chorus Line", which was kind of jarring to see, as she was usually such a wonderful dancer. I forget how she sang it -- they must have changed the keys, since she didn't have Donna McKechnie's voice or range.

I love Ann, but I also saw her miss a landing on stage. It was the slide onto the pedestal in “Sing, Sing, Sing”, and she never stopped. Just kept sliding to the floor.

She did recover well, IIRC.

by Anonymousreply 520July 26, 2022 5:39 PM

I thought it was Topol that Patti really didn't like in "Baker's Wife"? Didn't she just do the recording session with Paul Sorvino?

by Anonymousreply 521July 26, 2022 5:39 PM

What prompted Ann to get a facelift? Was she up for the lead in The Sally Field Programme?

by Anonymousreply 522July 26, 2022 5:40 PM

Are there any recent photos of Vicki Frederick?

by Anonymousreply 523July 26, 2022 5:41 PM

This is the most recent that I could find, r523.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 524July 26, 2022 5:43 PM

That Worldwide Plaza Cinema was such a 90s place, wow. I remember David Letterman did one of his remotes on Late Night - "may we see your movie tickets please?" or something like that - and they went into that cinema as people were coming out of having seen BATMAN in '89. Made me even more curious about NYC.

by Anonymousreply 525July 26, 2022 5:43 PM

I've never heard stories about Paul Sorvino being a problem.

Does anybody know what he does to antagonize people?

by Anonymousreply 526July 26, 2022 5:45 PM

He puts a horse head in their beds.

by Anonymousreply 527July 26, 2022 5:45 PM

Back when the original A Chorus Line was doing it’s 15th “we’re finally closing the show and this time we mean it” the original cast members were on various talk shows. Donna McKechnie told a story about a little boy who hung around the stage door a lot. They could never figure out who he was but somehow he watched the show because one time he told her, “I saw you fall on your turn.”

I suspect Donna was in a tranquilizer haze and that little boy was Michael Bennett.

by Anonymousreply 528July 26, 2022 5:47 PM

Vicki had a recent photo on her FB page then took it down. It was a little fuzzy and she was wearing sunglasses but she looked good. And rich. So talented. Wish she had come back to broadway as Roxie or Velma.

by Anonymousreply 529July 26, 2022 5:50 PM

Patti definitely hated Topol when they did Baker’s Wife. I mean Andrew Lloyd-Webber level of hatred. I don’t remember her saying anything good or bad about Sorvino in her book, but maybe I’m wrong.

by Anonymousreply 530July 26, 2022 5:53 PM

Sorvino did the last two weeks of the DC run of The Baker’s Wife. Patti rehearsed and performed with him on h. They were all over it by that point, and Sorvino’s gung-ho “let’s save the show!” attitude did not sit well with the rest of the cast

by Anonymousreply 531July 26, 2022 5:57 PM

Did Ann Reinking fail to see Donna McKechnie for CHICAGO because she thought McKechnie was past it?

by Anonymousreply 532July 26, 2022 5:57 PM

[quote]Was it called something like Worldwide Plaza cinema? It was attached to the Worldwide Plaza apartments which were reduced rent apartments.

The apartments in Worldwide Plaza are and always have been the opposite of "reduced rent." I guess you're confused, you're probably thinking of Manhattan Plaza.

by Anonymousreply 533July 26, 2022 5:57 PM

R521, Paul Sorvino replaced Topol in BAKER'S WIFE. (His recording-only replacement was in CARMELINA, which is bizarre since he was a high tenor replacing Cesare Siepi, a classic Italian basso cantante.)

R530, she certainly did trash Sorvino in her book. Page 85: "My new Aimable was . . . Paul Sorvino. Sorvino looked like a husky defensive lineman and sounded like Dennis Day . . . He joined our company all full of bravado, enthusiasm and superiority . . . I hated him on sight. I wasn't alone. The company looked at him dead in the eyes and filled with venom . . . everyone took an instant dislike to him, and his attempts to rally us fell on deaf ears . . . He was also the classic show-off tenor. On the first day before he was officially introduced to us, whenever a new cast member would enter the rehearsal room, he would hit a high C. It was like having Howdy Doody at Auschwitz."

by Anonymousreply 534July 26, 2022 5:58 PM

R502, did Jerry Orbach work with Paul Sorvino in anything other than the episode of LAW & ORDER in which he (Orbach) replaced him (Sorvino)?

by Anonymousreply 535July 26, 2022 6:00 PM

[Quote] his attempts to rally us fell on deaf ears . . .

I tried to tell him about my paper plates trick...

by Anonymousreply 536July 26, 2022 6:00 PM

Was Dennis Day an opera singer?

by Anonymousreply 537July 26, 2022 6:01 PM

Wasn’t there some sort of drama where McKechnie auditioned for Roxie but was offended that Reinking wasn’t at the audition but it turned out to be some sort of miscommunication.

by Anonymousreply 538July 26, 2022 6:02 PM

And now, three posts about fucking Daniel Fish's Most Happy Fella travesty

First some photography

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 539July 26, 2022 6:04 PM

No, r537.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 540July 26, 2022 6:05 PM

Now a NYT review

But any larger point is lost. What does it mean to take the girl-watching harmonies of “Standing on the Corner” out of the mouths of men and put them into the mouths of these actors? Unclear. Given that no one is playing a character from the musical, what is the actors’ relationship to one another meant to be? Ditto. Fish has uprooted these songs from their original context without planting them in a solid new one.

it feels like something less alive than theater, and less shared.

In a Q. and A. in the digital program, Fish says that the show...is ideally “a proposition or a provocation to the audience that asks ‘What happens when this person sings this song in this space with these people?’”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 541July 26, 2022 6:06 PM

Dennis Day was the light-voiced but pretty sounding tenor with a genial manner on the old "Jack Benny Show".

by Anonymousreply 542July 26, 2022 6:07 PM

Thanks. I've never heard of him. I have heard of Jack Benny.

by Anonymousreply 543July 26, 2022 6:08 PM

And a New Yorker review

These aren’t so much reinterpretations of Loesser’s songs—the sort of thing a pop singer does to a standard—as an effort to juice them of their thematic material and make of them one hard, shiny, lacquered surface.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 544July 26, 2022 6:08 PM

Burge auditioned for the Donald OConnor role in the Correia SITR. He correctly thought that there was no love interest, or anything else race related and they could have just given him the part but he never got a callback. I do think he would have been great.

by Anonymousreply 545July 26, 2022 6:09 PM

I saw Howard McGillin trip and fall during one of his dance routines in “Anything Goes”.

by Anonymousreply 546July 26, 2022 6:13 PM

Just when I begin to believe Patti is human, I'm reminded of her vast, exponential levels of cuntitude.

by Anonymousreply 547July 26, 2022 6:16 PM

All this talk about the $2 movies, reminded me of the time I went to see HOUSE OF THE SPIRITS there. I remember a large black woman and her family there as well, eating fried chicken. We figured they thought it was a horror movie.

Topol and Paul Sorvino both had horrible reputations. Friends did a Fiddler tour with him, and everyone hated him. I did see Sorvino in MOST HAPPY FELLA at City Opera, and he was just okay. But see how two topics just discussed are connected? Funny how that happens...

by Anonymousreply 548July 26, 2022 6:17 PM

Tony Dow has died. RIP

Had he ever trod the boards? And I don't mean surf boards.

by Anonymousreply 549July 26, 2022 6:20 PM

[quote] I saw Howard McGillin trip and fall during one of his dance routines in “Anything Goes”.

And his tripod dick didn't catch his fall?

by Anonymousreply 550July 26, 2022 6:20 PM

[quote]All this talk about the $2 movies, reminded me of the time I went to see HOUSE OF THE SPIRITS there. I remember a large black woman and her family there as well, eating fried chicken.

I, too, distinctly remember seeing a large black woman and her children eating fried chicken during a movie at Worldwide Cinemas, but I really don't think the movie was HOUSE OF THE SPIRITS. So maybe that woman and her family were regulars.

by Anonymousreply 551July 26, 2022 6:21 PM

Maybe it was "Chicken Run"? That would have been appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 552July 26, 2022 6:23 PM

I worked with Paul Sorvino on a film in the 80s...yes, he was full of himself, overly upbeat and could be obnoxious in a "are you for real ?" sense, but he really was a nice guy.

by Anonymousreply 553July 26, 2022 6:29 PM

Tony and the Beaver toured together in a few plays. Stock. Dinner theatre. I think they did Boeing Boeing at some point. RIP

by Anonymousreply 554July 26, 2022 6:32 PM

I can’t follow that New Yorker review of MHF to save my life.

by Anonymousreply 555July 26, 2022 7:07 PM

How about some gorgeous singing to brighten your day? Fritz Wunderlich in the "Magic Flute".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 556July 26, 2022 7:09 PM

He's no Lana Cantrell, r556...

by Anonymousreply 557July 26, 2022 7:17 PM

[quote][R502], did Jerry Orbach work with Paul Sorvino in anything other than the episode of LAW & ORDER in which he (Orbach) replaced him (Sorvino)?

I'm not r502 but a year or two before Orbach replaced Sorvino as a regular, Orbach had a guest spot as a sleazy defense attorney. I don't remember whether they had any scenes together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 558July 26, 2022 7:22 PM

Beanie’s final 8 shows this week! Or 7 shows. Or 5 shows. Or 2 shows

by Anonymousreply 559July 26, 2022 7:29 PM

^ Extra DL catnip: that episode is "ripped from the headlines" and is based on the Betty Broderick case.

by Anonymousreply 560July 26, 2022 7:29 PM

R551, there’s a reason the Worldwide Plaza Cinemas were known as Third World Plaza. Black families would pile into those theaters and used them as babysitter venues for their little kids. And it didn’t matter if they were R rated. Several times I’d sit near these little kids watching films with with a sex scene or an extremely violent scene. I wanted to report those mothers to social services.

by Anonymousreply 561July 26, 2022 7:41 PM

[quote] there’s a reason the Worldwide Plaza Cinemas were known as Third World Plaza. Black families would pile into those theaters and used them as babysitter venues for their little kids. And it didn’t matter if they were R rated. Several times I’d sit near these little kids watching films with with a sex scene or an extremely violent scene. I wanted to report those mothers to social services.

Yup. They didn't care what they saw. $2 for air conditioning for two hours was a bargain.

by Anonymousreply 562July 26, 2022 8:10 PM

R561 and R562, it never occurred to me that lack of air conditioning at home was the explanation, but I guess that might have been true at least in some cases.

by Anonymousreply 563July 26, 2022 8:34 PM

Howard McGillin has a big dick. Very big.

by Anonymousreply 564July 26, 2022 8:40 PM

Were he and Patti hot 'n' heavy?

by Anonymousreply 565July 26, 2022 8:43 PM

It's now being reported that Tony Dow is still alive!

by Anonymousreply 566July 26, 2022 8:44 PM

Here we go again.

by Anonymousreply 567July 26, 2022 8:45 PM

R567 is a great reason to read through so much crap on DL. An excellent post, excellent.

by Anonymousreply 568July 26, 2022 8:50 PM

R524, you bitch.

by Anonymousreply 569July 26, 2022 9:04 PM

I absolutely loved when Mira Sorvino won the Oscar and Paul Sorvino was beating with such pride. When she mentioned him in her speech, he started crying.

Beautiful moments that stays in my memory

by Anonymousreply 570July 26, 2022 9:13 PM

Beating= beaming

by Anonymousreply 571July 26, 2022 9:13 PM

I didn't think he had so much pull, since I like her in other things, but not so much in the role she won an Oscar for.

by Anonymousreply 572July 26, 2022 9:31 PM

For which she won an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 573July 26, 2022 9:36 PM

Love the vintage theatre gossip. Let's hear about some backstage dish from the 70s, 80s and 90s! We had a banner couple of threads a decade ago with Summer Stock Memories...let's get some vintage dish happening!

Was Crista Moore the Lea Michele of her day? Did Michael Maguire get blackballed for his (alleged) abuse of Stro? What about the mass Les Miz and Annie firings by management?

by Anonymousreply 574July 26, 2022 9:45 PM

Did Ricky Martin blow Richard-Jay?

by Anonymousreply 575July 26, 2022 9:50 PM

What's the dish on Hal Luftig?

by Anonymousreply 576July 26, 2022 9:53 PM

R573 Thanks, English teacher.

by Anonymousreply 577July 26, 2022 10:07 PM

I think Michael Maguire also couldn't act (at least when he wasn't singing) But yes, supposedly he got violent towards Stro.

by Anonymousreply 578July 26, 2022 10:08 PM

If Tony Dow is still alive, his "manager" has got to be the most incompetent asshole ever to hold such a position.

by Anonymousreply 579July 26, 2022 10:21 PM

R556, Fritz Wunderlich had one of the best voices ever heard. I listen to him when I need reassurance there has been beauty in the world.

by Anonymousreply 580July 26, 2022 10:21 PM

I somehow missed the entire Michael Maguire/Stro confrontation. What’s the story?

by Anonymousreply 581July 26, 2022 10:23 PM

It's been Dow's doped up wife posting the misinfo. He's not in a hospice; he's receiving palliative care at home. He either fell asleep or went into a coma and she became hysterical, calling his managers to tell them he had died and then posting the same to Facebook.

These do appear to be his final hours, though.

by Anonymousreply 582July 26, 2022 10:39 PM

[quote]These do appear to be his final hours, though

Should we expect a *Tony Dow is DEAD to me...AGAIN* thread?

by Anonymousreply 583July 26, 2022 10:43 PM

What did Sarah Jessica Parker do to get to play Annie on Broadway? She sho was ugly.

by Anonymousreply 584July 26, 2022 10:48 PM

I think they were dating, r581, and he got violent. I’ve met him a couple of times in the last few years. He’s an attorney now, although he does still sing. He has not aged well at all. But he seemed like a really nice guy not full of himself at all. I think he’s fully aware why his career dried up, and it’s been humbling for him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 585July 26, 2022 10:49 PM

[quote]He’s an attorney now

Does he cross examine in song?

by Anonymousreply 586July 26, 2022 10:53 PM

What did Sarah Jessica Parker do to get to play Winifred on Broadway? She sho was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 587July 26, 2022 11:34 PM

Maguire worked in Finance, made a shitload of money then quit and pursued theatre full time. He got a lot of attention during his time in Les Miz. He was good in a Harv Presnell kind of way.

by Anonymousreply 588July 26, 2022 11:36 PM

Just checked out last week's Broadway grosses and Moulin Rouge is only making about 1,200,000/week. While that's a lot of $$$, can a show which must have astronomical weekly running costs really survive on those numbers? Not trying to be snarky, just curious if those in the know have educated opinions.

by Anonymousreply 589July 26, 2022 11:36 PM

American Psycho Goes To Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 590July 26, 2022 11:37 PM

Some women should be beaten regularly, Stro. Like gongs.

by Anonymousreply 591July 27, 2022 12:17 AM

New/next thread for when needed:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 592July 27, 2022 12:19 AM

Maguire in 2020 with Judy Kuhn and Frances Ruffelle

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 593July 27, 2022 12:22 AM

r592

thank you

by Anonymousreply 594July 27, 2022 12:34 AM

and

by Anonymousreply 595July 27, 2022 12:35 AM

it's

by Anonymousreply 596July 27, 2022 12:35 AM

the

by Anonymousreply 597July 27, 2022 12:35 AM

end

by Anonymousreply 598July 27, 2022 12:35 AM

adieu

by Anonymousreply 599July 27, 2022 12:35 AM

BAJOUR!

by Anonymousreply 600July 27, 2022 12:35 AM

Ba

by Anonymousreply 601July 27, 2022 12:36 AM

Jour

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 602July 27, 2022 12:37 AM

Boom. Splat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 603July 27, 2022 12:37 AM

You think so r600?

by Anonymousreply 604July 27, 2022 12:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!