Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

THEATRE GOSSIP #481: It Never Rains but it Pours on Beanie's Parade

Well, so she said.

by Anonymousreply 601July 21, 2022 10:41 PM

Here's the link to the previous thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 17, 2022 1:03 PM

To R602, Yes, of course I was of advanced years in 1981 and that explains why I couldn't understand LuPone's garbled diction.

Eyeroll.

-R596 on previous thread.

by Anonymousreply 2July 17, 2022 1:09 PM

Looking forward to hear about The Devil Wears Prada. Any Chicagoans here planning to see the tryout?

by Anonymousreply 3July 17, 2022 1:09 PM

Whose gonna see Shyanne Jackson in ITW?

by Anonymousreply 4July 17, 2022 1:14 PM

Nice one OP. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 5July 17, 2022 1:23 PM

You gotta feel for Beanie. Clearly this whole debacle affected her personally. We are watching in real time someone’s dream die.

by Anonymousreply 6July 17, 2022 1:25 PM

Bless your heart, R6.

by Anonymousreply 7July 17, 2022 1:28 PM

I dont follow the theater so I have no clue who this Beanie Feldstein is but from her picture and name alone, I find her annoying and I hate her.......

by Anonymousreply 8July 17, 2022 1:30 PM

[quote] I dont follow the theater

And you're here because.............?

by Anonymousreply 9July 17, 2022 1:41 PM

Nice title, OP!

If Beanie had some giant, meaningful reason for leaving, I seriously doubt they’d be keeping it a secret in the middle of this shitshow. They’d be scrambling to get it out ASAP.

by Anonymousreply 10July 17, 2022 1:43 PM

I am, r4. By coincidence. Had a ticket for one of the performances at the end of July. Wanted to see Creel, but Jackson is a good substitute. Maybe better.

by Anonymousreply 11July 17, 2022 2:11 PM

Beans, beans, nothing but beans Feldstein...

by Anonymousreply 12July 17, 2022 2:44 PM

I was watching her crawl back over the wall when / BANG SMASH the scenery crashed

by Anonymousreply 13July 17, 2022 3:09 PM

What will Beeny’s next roll be?

by Anonymousreply 14July 17, 2022 3:21 PM

The set falling in on Beanie--how awful!

Was any of the scenery injured?

by Anonymousreply 15July 17, 2022 3:22 PM

r2 that comment must have stung for you to bring your eye-roll all the way over to a new thread.

by Anonymousreply 16July 17, 2022 3:23 PM

I saw Funny Girl on Tuesday. Jane Lynch played her role as though right before the curtain she found out her paycheck had bounced. And at the curtain call, the cast looked like it was in the midst of a hostage exchange.

Beanie played the role that night. She sounds acceptable (just acceptable) on the big songs, but on the ballads, especially People, she can't control her pitch, which wanders all over the place.

But the real problem with her performance isn't her singing. If Beanie had nailed the comedy, it might be a performance worth watching. But Beanie's Fanny Brice seems petulant and spoiled, she never gets her laughs, so the audience is never on her side. This, combined with a truly lousy production, makes it a rough night out.

by Anonymousreply 17July 17, 2022 3:24 PM

Happy birthday to DL fave and Bway legend, Miss Lucy Arnaz!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 17, 2022 3:28 PM

[Quote] Beanie's Fanny Brice seems petulant and spoiled, she never gets her laughs, so the audience is never on her side.

Seems like the director failed hard. He’s sitting back in his caftan enjoying her taking all the heat. Hateful.

by Anonymousreply 19July 17, 2022 3:29 PM

Michael Mayer is a hack. And a bit of an asshole, as confirmed by numerous sources.

Am curious about the dynamic between him and Lea Michele, which has not always been smooth sailing in the past. (See the Spring Awakening docu, for example.)

by Anonymousreply 20July 17, 2022 3:31 PM

Who knows what the director told her? She probably ignored him, and did what she felt like anyway.

She’s been doing that her whole life.

by Anonymousreply 21July 17, 2022 3:41 PM

R18 it’s Lucie not Lucy

by Anonymousreply 22July 17, 2022 3:44 PM

Do we think there will be an update about the Into the Woods/The Piano Lesson situation this week? (Seriously, who books a play in the St. James?)

by Anonymousreply 23July 17, 2022 3:46 PM

[quote] What will Beeny’s next roll be?

A dozen, buttered, at dinner

by Anonymousreply 24July 17, 2022 3:48 PM

Was Beanie even funny as Minnie Fay in Hello Dolly? I have no memory of her performance except for a chubby girl bustling around in her bustle, who looked like she'd rather be anywhere else. Her lack of comic chops make her casting even more suspect and unfortunate.

That said, I imagine she'll return to LA very soon and take best friend roles in more indie films produced and directed by family friends. I don't think we'll see her starring in anything on stage or screen any time soon.

by Anonymousreply 25July 17, 2022 3:56 PM

r23

I love ITW but will it really run for a long time?

by Anonymousreply 26July 17, 2022 3:57 PM

There's always something unpleasantly angular and sharp about Rachel York's demeanor that IMHO have kept her from leading lady status.

by Anonymousreply 27July 17, 2022 3:58 PM

She marched her band out She beat her drum And she was fanned out Your turn at bat, sir At least she didn't fake it Hat, sir, she just didn't make it!

LM’s opening night audience might consider bringing cheap wigs and waving them around during her curtain call, as a reminder and blast from the past to make LM feel “at home”.

by Anonymousreply 28July 17, 2022 4:00 PM

[quote]And at the curtain call, the cast looked like it was in the midst of a hostage exchange.

LOL!

by Anonymousreply 29July 17, 2022 4:20 PM

R27 What kept Rachel York from leading lady status was her inability to do 8 shows a week. She only has one volume/performance, and runs out of gas before the weekend more often than not. It pissed off a lot of producers and creatives on the various road tours she has headlined. These things mattered a lot more years ago when Rachel was in her prime. Also, her (now ex) husband was her manager for a long time and negotiated her out of a lot of jobs.

Source: I worked with her on the road.

by Anonymousreply 30July 17, 2022 4:29 PM

When on a tour, do the leads in a show get better hotel rooms than the chorus?

by Anonymousreply 31July 17, 2022 4:35 PM

[quote] Was Beanie even funny as Minnie Fay in Hello Dolly? I have no memory of her performance except for a chubby girl bustling around in her bustle, who looked like she'd rather be anywhere else. Her lack of comic chops make her casting even more suspect and unfortunate.

No, she was fucking terrible in Dolly. I saw it right before the Tonys and I had no idea who she was, had never heard of her, and every time she stepped onstage and had a line, all focus went to her in the worst way possible. She was shrill, loud, grating and gave a high school level performance. I actively hated her and audibly groaned every time she spoke.

by Anonymousreply 32July 17, 2022 4:46 PM

[Quote] I actively hated her and audibly groaned every time she spoke

Ah how considerate

Please tell us when you are going to another show so we can avoid you

by Anonymousreply 33July 17, 2022 4:51 PM

More gossip on Rachel York please! What roles did her husband negotiate her out of? What roles did she cancel performances during? This is the kind of gossip I adore.

[r30]

I always thought it was odd that she WON a Drama Desk award, but then wasn’t even nominated for a Tony.

by Anonymousreply 34July 17, 2022 4:57 PM

[quote] Please tell us when you are going to another show so we can avoid you

I wouldn't worry about it, hon. I don't sit in the cheap seats.

by Anonymousreply 35July 17, 2022 5:05 PM

[quote] I always thought it was odd that she WON a Drama Desk award, but then wasn’t even nominated for a Tony.

I'm not sure that's why she was snubbed at the Tonys. I thought the nominating committee was basically sending a message that they hated the show and everything about it, but could not deny the chance to give Andrews a Tony after all these years.

by Anonymousreply 36July 17, 2022 5:07 PM

Attended the penultimate performance of Paradise Square last night and the theatre rocked. So many sobbing fangurls in their PS t-shirts (many who should never go out in t-shirts). I wonder. If Garth Vader hadn't been involved, would it have won more Tonys? Certainly Bill Jones should have won for his choreography. The sets, the lighting..the second act goes on way too long, but I can see this having a long life in high schools, regional theatre, etc. If Girth Drabinsky wasn't involved, would it not be closing? I'd have to say yes.

by Anonymousreply 37July 17, 2022 5:12 PM

Ummm, no. People don't buy tickets (or not buy tickets) because of the producer.

by Anonymousreply 38July 17, 2022 5:19 PM

I want to focus only on Beanie during this transitional time.

Your immediate attention to this matter is appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 39July 17, 2022 5:32 PM

Rachel York is a gifted mimic. She's merely adequate and one-note at everything else. She should have been a Cher Show replacement.

by Anonymousreply 40July 17, 2022 5:37 PM

[quote] I don't sit in the cheap seats.

There's cheap seats in the twenty-first century?

by Anonymousreply 41July 17, 2022 5:43 PM

In V/V did Rachel York accomplish anything more than an imitation of Lesley Anne Warren doing an imitation of Jean Hagen?

by Anonymousreply 42July 17, 2022 5:53 PM

I get Rachel York and Caddy Huffman mixed up. Aren’t they basically interchangeable?

by Anonymousreply 43July 17, 2022 5:55 PM

R2, could you please cut and paste your comments from the previous thread because I really don't want to have to scroll all the way down for what I'm sure isn't worth it. TIA.

by Anonymousreply 44July 17, 2022 5:59 PM

[quote]What will Beeny’s next roll be?

Two dozen cinnamon.

by Anonymousreply 45July 17, 2022 6:00 PM

[quote] I get Rachel York and Caddy Huffman mixed up. Aren’t they basically interchangeable?

One's face is slightly less horsey and lens damaging than other.

by Anonymousreply 46July 17, 2022 6:02 PM

I think she’s descended to sausage rolls while cowering at home this weekend.

#BringOutTheBigGuns

by Anonymousreply 47July 17, 2022 6:02 PM

R32, I’m with you, Beanie was horrific in Hello Dolly, a misfire in an otherwise joyful production. She was shrill, without any focus except for herself and stepping on lines, really bad. I’d like to add, they might have been joking, but someone said Jane Lynch was Beanie’s only defender backstage at Funny Girl, this is untrue. They never bonded and Lynch grew immediately frustrated at some of the antics that our beloved Broadway busting brat started pulling after show number two or three, not a happy place.

by Anonymousreply 48July 17, 2022 6:13 PM

Nearly there, OP. Should've taken another pass at it, worked in the "you gotta laugh." Oh well, you suck.

by Anonymousreply 49July 17, 2022 6:17 PM

Oh please, R6. There are acres of land devoted to my dead dreams. Get over it.

by Anonymousreply 50July 17, 2022 6:18 PM

My main memory of Beanie in Hello Dolly was that she was chubby. I don’t remember anything else about her performance. The one I thought was really awful was the woman who played Gussie. (Is that her name? The one who goes to the restaurant with Horace.) I thought she was shrill and horribly annoying.

by Anonymousreply 51July 17, 2022 6:19 PM

Phyllis and Sally...really?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52July 17, 2022 6:42 PM

Beanie was plenty shrill in Hello Dolly, and screeching every line.

by Anonymousreply 53July 17, 2022 6:46 PM

I like Phyllis' tap shoes...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 17, 2022 6:50 PM

How will Lea compensate for the lousy book, bad direction and cheap looking sets? They should close this show.

Ryan Murphy may be a hack , but he was smart enough not to continue to pursue this flop.

by Anonymousreply 55July 17, 2022 6:55 PM

All of New York is behind Lea for saving them from Beanie.

She will be the toast of the season.

by Anonymousreply 56July 17, 2022 6:57 PM

R56- Lea

by Anonymousreply 57July 17, 2022 7:03 PM

R48, I'm sure that was a joke post. The comment claimed they were lesbian lovers, which is why Jane defended her, bit when Beanie got engaged, the disgruntled Jane finally washed her hands of the beans as well. It was nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 58July 17, 2022 7:12 PM

So, in 25 years:

Sally - Beanie

Phyllis - Lea

Buddy - Ben Platt

Ben - ???

by Anonymousreply 59July 17, 2022 7:13 PM

Ben- Groff. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 60July 17, 2022 7:15 PM

R37/r38, I think the argument is that a different producer could have gotten better people involved. A better director, certainly better marketing. But the best people were (rightly) too smart to work with him, so he ended up with what he could get, and the show was automatically at a disadvantage. And yes, the marketing was godawful. So the show probably could have done better with a different producer. The question is, would a different producer have wanted to take it on? It very much feels like his kind of show.

by Anonymousreply 61July 17, 2022 7:16 PM

[quote]So, in 25 years:

DL's current crop of eldergays will all be dead and therefore don't give a fuck what Beanie, Ben and Lea will be doing with their respective careers, on the slim chance that they still have careers.

by Anonymousreply 62July 17, 2022 7:16 PM

Live, Laugh, Love...Eat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63July 17, 2022 7:19 PM

I was considering going out to SF for this latest iteration of Follies, but I’m not really getting inspired by these stills. That Loveland looks cheap as fuck! And Nataschia just looks wrong for Sally.

I attended the NT Follies and don’t want to sully my memory of that sublime production.

by Anonymousreply 64July 17, 2022 7:36 PM

Glad to be of help, r64.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65July 17, 2022 7:39 PM

Why does Phyllis look like someone dug up Carrie Nye's corpse, smacked some pancake makeup on her, and propped her on stage? She looks old enough to be Hattie's mother. She and Sally don't look like they're around the same age at all. I have no idea who the actress is and I'm sure she's lovely, but this seems like miscasting. The whole production seems miscast and poorly conceived. I'd expect it from a community theatre production, but isn't this supposed to be a more professional theater?

by Anonymousreply 66July 17, 2022 7:43 PM

Lea Michele is too short to be Phyllis. Phyllis should be statuesque.

by Anonymousreply 67July 17, 2022 7:43 PM

OMG those stills from SF Playhouse look like a 1986 high school production.

by Anonymousreply 68July 17, 2022 7:49 PM

Beanie's Turn

Why did I do it? What did it get me? Reviews saying I couldn't sing it. Left the show and now it stars Lea. I had a dream, I dreamed it for me Sonia. It wasn't for you Mayer. And if it wasn't for me Then where would you be Miss Julie Benko?

by Anonymousreply 69July 17, 2022 7:52 PM

The production of Funny Girl is basically the same one that was in London with Sheridan Smith, though SS could sing and act, and was produced by the same team, had the same director, rewrites by Harvey, etc. Since it was a success, thats probably why they went with Beanies casting. SS is short and squat also, but it worked. They were probably hoping lightning would strike twice...

by Anonymousreply 70July 17, 2022 8:26 PM

They should've held a seance at the August Wilson and tried to summon the ghost of Jerome Robbins.

by Anonymousreply 71July 17, 2022 8:37 PM

[quote] Patti played Evita in Sydney as well as Melbourne. If she was tentative when it opened on Broadway I'd like to know why: she'd been at it for a while already.

Sydney and Melbourne happened after Patti left the Broadway production. The out of town tryout (Los Angeles &. SF) was all she got before NYC)

by Anonymousreply 72July 17, 2022 8:43 PM

Shows what those producers know, then. That production of FG worked in London because they had a genuine star attached. Whatever we think of Sheridan Smith on this side of the Atlantic, she sells out houses in the West End. She holds the audience in the palm of her hand and even though you could argue she doesn't have the right kind of voice, she at least has a voice. When Fanny comes out and proclaims herself the "greatest star", guess what; you'd better be witnessing a star performance. They need to hold the audience in thrall. Sheridan did, despite Mayer's production. Beanie hasn't.

by Anonymousreply 73July 17, 2022 8:43 PM

R73 Oh bullshit. The fat cunt sat on the fucking floor to sing Greatest Star. It was utterly ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 74July 17, 2022 8:45 PM

She started out sitting on the floor with Eddie, but was up on her feet when she got going...so fuck off hater at @74. Was it the best production, no, but it was good as evidenced in the run and the touring engagements. BEANIE SUCKS...and not your cock.

by Anonymousreply 75July 17, 2022 8:47 PM

Im the Greatest Star...Sheridan Smith...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76July 17, 2022 8:54 PM

Thanks r76.

She can sing. She can act.

by Anonymousreply 77July 17, 2022 8:58 PM

Ramin Karimloo *ALMOST* knows his gay audience but misses the mark by just a bit.

He posted an Instagram story of himself working out with a young gay man and calls him “son.”

That comment was on brand. What was missing was the young gay man calling him, “Daddy”

I actually think this proves he’s really straight as an arrow.

by Anonymousreply 78July 17, 2022 9:06 PM

Thanks, r76. As is often the case with West End takes, it's a bit low energy/slower than I'd like, but she can certainly sing and act. (Watching Michele's Glee version after this, Smith's is better acted.)

by Anonymousreply 79July 17, 2022 9:14 PM

I did not particularly like SS in that video but she was certainly not embarrassing and had enough comedy and singing skills to pull it off.

by Anonymousreply 80July 17, 2022 9:17 PM

Probably goes without saying, but none of the ones I've been able to see compares to this. I found myself wishing Smith's staging wasn't so spare, but of course Barbra does the end of the song alone on an empty stage and still manages to feel so much bigger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81July 17, 2022 9:17 PM

Sorry if this has been posted. I'd listened to Benko's DROMP from the first weekend, and thought it was...fine. She sounds better here though. Maybe she's been improving?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82July 17, 2022 9:20 PM

r81...you cant compare a film version to a stage version as far as production goes. But you know that.

by Anonymousreply 83July 17, 2022 9:22 PM

Of course you can compare them. You can compare anything

by Anonymousreply 84July 17, 2022 9:31 PM

There's 22 photos, r68. Well, they're certainly...ambitious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85July 17, 2022 9:33 PM

R82 - Thank you for posting that! I love her voice. She has an odd sound “purr” running under her voice - like a purr or growl. I really like her voice. What an absolutely once in a lifetime moment she is having!

by Anonymousreply 86July 17, 2022 9:38 PM

Yes, thank you, r76. Regardless of how one feel's about her in the role, that *is* a star performance.

by Anonymousreply 87July 17, 2022 9:44 PM

O. Deering myself for that apostrophe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88July 17, 2022 9:45 PM

Also, Sheridan Smith is a national treasure in the UK, and is a frequent and celebrated television actress. I only saw the West End transfer, thought it was dreadful and am not surprised it got the reviews it did on Broadway, but from the moment she stepped onstage, Sheridan - for an UK audience - is star in a way a few of her contemporaries are. And the audience was rooting for her - both as an actress and for the character.

For a musical, having a lead in which an audience is predisposed to be on their side goes a long way in overcoming the shortfalls of an underwhelming book.

Which unfortunately isn’t much help when it comes to Beanie. Especially when she can’t really sing it, either.

by Anonymousreply 89July 17, 2022 9:46 PM

Once we’re debating Julie benko’s DROMP, we can stop life support

by Anonymousreply 90July 17, 2022 9:49 PM

Beanie Feldstein is a persona that works when she is the second banana friend with a few good lines in your independent film. Beanie Feldstein does not have the presence, skill or stamina to lead a stage musical, especially a starring role like Fanny Brice. The untalented sham got found out, she can’t perform the part. I saw her, she and the entire show was shit, except for the tap dancer, he shined, even Ramin was awkward and embarrassed.

by Anonymousreply 91July 17, 2022 9:49 PM

Ramin was just upset because Fierstein refused to write the new scene where Nicky Arnstein rolls Fanny in flour to find the wet spot.

by Anonymousreply 92July 17, 2022 9:51 PM

I don’t remember Beanie at all in Hello Dolly! Yet I’ve definitely seen her in movies so figure I should have recognized her

by Anonymousreply 93July 17, 2022 10:00 PM

How could you not remember Beanie in Hello, Dolly? He voice was like a thousand needles being jammed into your eardrum.

by Anonymousreply 94July 17, 2022 10:02 PM

Mr Saturday Night closing in September. No surprise.

by Anonymousreply 95July 17, 2022 10:25 PM

First 9/11. Now this^

by Anonymousreply 96July 17, 2022 10:27 PM

Just got a call from my friend in SF. It was intermission which they put after I'm Still Here. She said the show started off rough. She thought they did a decent job with the mirror number. Then she had to go back in.

by Anonymousreply 97July 17, 2022 10:32 PM

R97, please report back after she’s seen the second act. I’d love to hear about “Losing My Mind.”

by Anonymousreply 98July 17, 2022 10:38 PM

All I know is that Lea’s performance of Parade at the Tony’s was awful- copied the phrasing and dynamics of Streisand and went flat, sharp, talked, screeched. The score to Funny Girl is its best attribute, but it’s very difficult to sing. It’s going to take an unknown to reproduce. Streisand is one of the two or three most gifted people ever in “entertainment”. The other one is Judy Garland and you can argue about who a third might be- Sinatra? There are some strictly singers (Aretha, King Cole) the their league as vocal artists- Gaga doesn’t have the voice but she might carry it off- although getting too old.

by Anonymousreply 99July 17, 2022 10:59 PM

Harvey Fierstein keeps retweeting and tweeting stuff about Lea Michele.

I think it’s safe to say we know who the senior source was for the Funny Girl article who kept saying that Lea should have replaced Beanie earlier and would save the show.

by Anonymousreply 100July 18, 2022 12:33 AM

Saw Sheridan Smith at the Menier and found her charming . . . until she sang. She was in ni way the greatest star by any measure, and that rendition confirms my memory.

by Anonymousreply 101July 18, 2022 12:37 AM

[quote]Beanie played the role that night. She sounds acceptable (just acceptable) on the big songs, but on the ballads, especially People, she can't control her pitch, which wanders all over the place

Her pitch was wandering toward the stage door.

[quote]All I know is that Lea’s performance of Parade at the Tony’s was awful- copied the phrasing and dynamics of Streisand and went flat, sharp, talked, screeched. The score to Funny Girl is its best attribute, but it’s very difficult to sing.

Oh please she was fine for having to walk down the longest row in theater history while singing. not a good thing for any singer. She might as well have been running. When she has to stand still center stage she will bring the roof down.

by Anonymousreply 102July 18, 2022 12:53 AM

Sean Hayes did a great impression of Lea coming down the aisle. Of course, his bouncing basket drew all of the attention.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103July 18, 2022 1:07 AM

r102, the studio version from Glee is only marginally better. If the studio version sounds this forced and try-hard, the onstage version will likely be even worse.

Hopefully in addition to displaying some actual believable human emotion, she'll lose the weird fake British accent.

"Only can die once, right, suuuuuh?" "I gotta have my bite, suuuuuuh."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104July 18, 2022 1:18 AM

There is obviously nothing more to say on this topic

by Anonymousreply 105July 18, 2022 2:20 AM

well, r9, 6 others liked my post so why dont you ask they why they are here......

by Anonymousreply 106July 18, 2022 2:27 AM

R82 thank you. She has definitely improved. Wow. I’m impressed. No wonder she has so many supporters. It must drive BF crazy that she can actually sing (and she’s thin). No wonder she hates her.

by Anonymousreply 107July 18, 2022 2:33 AM

[quote]R105 There is obviously nothing more to say on this topic

We will not be silenced until that Hollywood upstart dumpling is driven from the stage!

by Anonymousreply 108July 18, 2022 2:47 AM

Those SF Follies photos are so damn scary! And depressing.

by Anonymousreply 109July 18, 2022 2:53 AM

[quote] Beanie's Turn - Why did I do it? What did it get me? Reviews saying I couldn't sing it. Left the show and now it stars Lea. I had a dream, I dreamed it for me Sonia. It wasn't for you Mayer. And if it wasn't for me Then where would you be Miss Julie Benko?

Okay, this is VERY funny. Where's a Forbidden Broadway when we need one?

by Anonymousreply 110July 18, 2022 3:03 AM

[quote]Those SF Follies photos are so damn scary! And depressing.

Sooo, r109...so FOLLIES then?

by Anonymousreply 111July 18, 2022 3:10 AM

Re the clip at R76 - That this number starts on the floor is further proof that Mayer is woefully clueless--and talentless. Why in god's name would they be on the floor? It's submissive and grovelling. It undercuts her announcement of "I'm the Greatest Star."

The film's staging gets it. Not only is Babs dead center, she's visually higher than everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 112July 18, 2022 3:19 AM

And Sheridan Smith looked particularly squat and chubby sitting on the floor in those ghastly bloomers. Mayer waited way too long to get her up on her feet.

by Anonymousreply 113July 18, 2022 3:29 AM

[quote] Of course, his bouncing basket drew all of the attention.

Any rumors of Sean’s dick size?

by Anonymousreply 114July 18, 2022 3:53 AM

A little raining and pouring for La Beanadette.

Byeeeee bitch

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115July 18, 2022 4:14 AM

Careful, r112. r83 already told us we can't compare the film version to a stage version. (I agree though.)

by Anonymousreply 116July 18, 2022 4:28 AM

Yes R105, you can’t rob R106 of her FAAANS-ZAH!

by Anonymousreply 117July 18, 2022 5:36 AM

R114, not as big as Deb Messings.

by Anonymousreply 118July 18, 2022 5:36 AM

Sheridan Smith is not a “national treasure” in the UK. She was on a sitcom with a young demographic who gave an average performance in Legally Blonde (in which she like a Head Girl version of Elle Woods) which was kind of unexpected so it was overrated and sort of became a musical theatre icon for the Wicked generation in the UK for a while - though I doubt they turned out for her Hedda Gabler at the Old Vic (really - during Spacey’s last days I think). To that generation she is/was “iconic” the way they think a chair is “iconic”.

Not far into the Funny Girl West End transfer she cracked up on stage - if they could get her on stage - due to her drinking which at the time she conveniently blamed on her father’s death the previous year (or impending death, I can’t remember). She left the show in the somewhat capable hands of her understudy, Natasha Barnes, who apparently was a better singer than her. (This production’s Nicky Arnstein was Scottish reality show contestant, Darius Danesh Campbell who is a bit of a looker but whose obnoxious ego made him a national joke during his Pop Stars days [the original American Idol format]. He also played Rhett Butler in Trevor Nun’s ill-fated GWTW musical).

Smith eventually returned to tour Funny Girl (I’m sure she’s popular up north) and alternated performances with Barnes, but by then the bloom was off the rose. I’m not aware that her career has ever recovered from that West End debacle. I’m sure her performance as Fanny Brice was probably a lot like her performance as Elle Woods - a lot of smug grinning at the audience conveying “I’m Northern, I am!” Graham Norton got in some trouble when he either cracked a joke about her drink problem at a tv awards show or pulled a face or something. Nowadays, Smith plays dumb Northern bints trying to get custody of her kids or something on cheaply made ITV dramas.

Julie Walters is a national treasure. Sheridan Smith is chump change.

by Anonymousreply 119July 18, 2022 6:02 AM

In that SF Follies, one actress plays both Stella and Heidi? Is that allowed?

by Anonymousreply 120July 18, 2022 10:15 AM

[quote] To that generation she is/was “iconic” the way they think a chair is “iconic”.

Best comment ever.

by Anonymousreply 121July 18, 2022 11:25 AM

And yet we have not discussed the Tangiers Follies

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122July 18, 2022 11:26 AM

[quote] Smith eventually returned to tour Funny Girl (I’m sure she’s popular up north) and alternated performances with Barnes, but by then the bloom was off the rose

r119 didn't she return much heavier, and that's what was recorded for the broadcast?

by Anonymousreply 123July 18, 2022 11:26 AM

I want to marry R119.

by Anonymousreply 124July 18, 2022 11:42 AM

[quote] And yet we have not discussed the Tangiers Follies

r122 that's the only place Ashford should be allowed to direct

by Anonymousreply 125July 18, 2022 11:45 AM

Agreed R119, the Sheridan Smith Funny Girl hagiography here has been utterly ridiculous, as if she actually did something anyone cared about during that production. The only thing FG did for SS was almost end her career, dead father (mostly alcoholism- let’s be real) or not. It’s fairly shocking that any American producer would want what amounts to a virtual catastrophe to be brought to Broadway, and look how it turned out: another epic catastrophe that has almost destroyed another career.

by Anonymousreply 126July 18, 2022 11:49 AM

I wondered why Sheridan was doing all those missing child mother TV movies. I guess for the quick cash. But she’s becoming like Joanne Froggat who has become the go-to for the battered wife roles.

I was recently watching a new tv show where Joanne had a role. I was betting myself how many minutes into the show before she got battered. I was surprised this time who did the battering.

by Anonymousreply 127July 18, 2022 11:49 AM

[quote]And if it wasn't for me Then where would you be Miss Julie Benko?

This doesn't rhyme.

by Anonymousreply 128July 18, 2022 11:52 AM

Fixed it for you: And if wasn’t for me then where would you be Miss Understudy.

by Anonymousreply 129July 18, 2022 12:02 PM

Is anyone here old enough to remember that delicious 1972 expose The Making of No No Nanette by Don Dunn? Probably the best book ever written about the backstage shenanigans of bringing a Broadway musical to the stage.

This Funny Girl production needs the full-on treatment from the conception of The Menier production to the West End to the casting mystery of Beanie to Lea's disappointing run. Hopefully, there's a chorus boy's boy friend who's been paying attention and taking notes.

by Anonymousreply 130July 18, 2022 12:28 PM

[Quote] Is anyone here old enough to remember

Please.

by Anonymousreply 131July 18, 2022 1:09 PM

Make way for a FUNNY LADY, fellas....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132July 18, 2022 2:08 PM

Apparently Ali Stoker got boned

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133July 18, 2022 2:38 PM

R130, I enjoyed that book.

I also like the Company cast recording documentary where Stritch blows the whole thing up.

We need more drama filled accounts of Broadway shows.

by Anonymousreply 134July 18, 2022 2:47 PM

Regarding the SF Follies, it's important to remember that SF Playhouse is not a LORT theatre, and they have very little money. Most of their funds go to expensive SF real estate and hiring a few equity actors for the major roles. There have been some excellent plays (Noises Off) and musicals (She Loves Me, Sunday in the Park, etc.) produced there, but they won't have the polish or the design budget of even mid-tier theaters like Chicago Shakes.

by Anonymousreply 135July 18, 2022 2:49 PM

Good for Ali. The boyfriend is sexy.

by Anonymousreply 136July 18, 2022 2:56 PM

Thanks, r135, but then don't do Follies if you don't have the budget or even the Equity actors, much less stars. Stick to Barefoot in the Park.

by Anonymousreply 137July 18, 2022 3:07 PM

Or find a lesser known, smaller scale musical than FOLLIES, perhaps.

(No one needs to see BAREFOOT IN THE PARK in 2022.)

by Anonymousreply 138July 18, 2022 3:10 PM

R137 is right. I used to belong to a small community theater (the theater was a former drug store - very small space) . They wanted suggestions for their first musical. I suggested “Godspell” and “I Do, I Do.” They went with “Guys & Dolls”. 🙄 No choreography in that show because too many people on stage.

by Anonymousreply 139July 18, 2022 3:15 PM

It was a joke, r138. A lame one, but a joke.

by Anonymousreply 140July 18, 2022 3:15 PM

What a shame that they’re the ones to do the first SF follies.

by Anonymousreply 141July 18, 2022 3:31 PM

I’m definitely not going now. That Follies looks very cheap.

by Anonymousreply 142July 18, 2022 3:43 PM

R137 I agree. I love their theatre but they have no business doing that show. Bill has been eager to do Follies for a long time, though, and the artistic director gets what he wants...

by Anonymousreply 143July 18, 2022 3:52 PM

[quote] the artistic director gets what he wants...

That's why he's called the artistic director

by Anonymousreply 144July 18, 2022 3:53 PM

Most Sondheim shows shrink down well to smaller theaters. I’ve seen excellent small productions of Company, Sweeney, Night Music, Merrily, and Assassins.

Follies is not one of those musicals. It’s about a great, huge, now haunted theater. You can’t shrink that down.

by Anonymousreply 145July 18, 2022 3:55 PM

[quote] Any rumors of Sean’s dick size?

Who cares? It's attached to Sean Hayes.

by Anonymousreply 146July 18, 2022 3:56 PM

Nathan Lane just bought a co-op. What gift should DL send for a housewarming?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147July 18, 2022 4:13 PM

[r147] Lexapro

by Anonymousreply 148July 18, 2022 4:15 PM

A caviar crown.

by Anonymousreply 149July 18, 2022 4:21 PM

You haven't seen FOLLIES until you've seen it at a dinner theater in the round.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150July 18, 2022 4:24 PM

^I saw that production.

by Anonymousreply 151July 18, 2022 4:25 PM

I gave him some lovely Corelle serving pieces, r147.

by Anonymousreply 152July 18, 2022 4:26 PM

It was so long ago, r151, that I really don't remember much about it. I remember thinking it didn't really work in the round.

by Anonymousreply 153July 18, 2022 4:27 PM

More of Nathan's new apartment.

I mostly like it (but I'd update a lot of it).

Congrats to Nathan and his hubby.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154July 18, 2022 4:28 PM

R150 & R151, please tell us more.

by Anonymousreply 155July 18, 2022 5:00 PM

Sean Hayes has a penis?

by Anonymousreply 156July 18, 2022 5:05 PM

He does, R156. And it’s bigger than yours.

by Anonymousreply 157July 18, 2022 5:06 PM

I wish I could, r155, but all I really remember was that it didn't work in the round and being that close to the actors. It diluted the effectiveness of the ghosts and limited scenic effects.

by Anonymousreply 158July 18, 2022 5:07 PM

R157 = Sean Hayes

by Anonymousreply 159July 18, 2022 5:09 PM

Who did Hollis Resnick play?

by Anonymousreply 160July 18, 2022 5:10 PM

Actually not, R159. But yours is a whiny bottom question so my response was a good guess.

by Anonymousreply 161July 18, 2022 5:11 PM

What can two whiny bottoms accomplish?

NOT A GODDAMN THING

by Anonymousreply 162July 18, 2022 5:14 PM

She wasn't in it, r160.

by Anonymousreply 163July 18, 2022 5:15 PM

I still can't believe Hollis Resnick died. She was fantastic in everything.

by Anonymousreply 164July 18, 2022 5:15 PM

^

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165July 18, 2022 5:16 PM

The article in r147 says he's won 6 Tonys. Wrong. 3 Tonys, 6 nominations.

by Anonymousreply 166July 18, 2022 6:01 PM

[quote] The article in [R147] says he's won 6 Tonys. Wrong. 3 Tonys, 6 nominations.

Damn! You called out "I Love The Upper West Side" Fake news!!! Damn mainstream media.

by Anonymousreply 167July 18, 2022 6:08 PM

Something else that the Sheridan Smith and Beanie Feldstein productions of "Funny Girl" have in common: lots of mugging from the leading ladies.

by Anonymousreply 168July 18, 2022 6:11 PM

We have now all seen Nathan Lane's crapper.

by Anonymousreply 169July 18, 2022 6:17 PM

[quote]We have now all seen Nathan Lane's crapper.

I hope you're satisfied, tasteful friends.

by Anonymousreply 170July 18, 2022 6:39 PM

Boy, it's a good thing r90 put an end to that "debate" over Julie Benko's DROMP (if two comments--one agreeing with the second--counts as a debate).

The current discussion is SO much better.

by Anonymousreply 171July 18, 2022 8:21 PM

There are a few terrific behind-the-scenes books written on Broadway musicals coming to fruition (or NOT!)

"Making It Big: The Diary of a Broadway Musical" on the '96 Ockrent/Stroman helmed flop is a GREAT read. "The Impossible Musical" by Dale Wasserman chronicles the original Broadway production of "Man Of La Mancha" and its unlikely success. And "A Year With The Producers" by Jeffry Denman offers some juicy insights into the making of that HIT. (Supposedly Denman's writing it created a minor rift with management?)

by Anonymousreply 172July 18, 2022 8:40 PM

The Fiddler book is pretty good...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173July 18, 2022 8:49 PM

‘Song of Spider-Man’ by Glen Berger is infinitely more coherent and self-aware than anything in the musical which it describes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174July 18, 2022 9:11 PM

More to debate. Headley:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175July 18, 2022 9:14 PM

Miller:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176July 18, 2022 9:14 PM

I remember enjoying The Scarlett Papers, Florence Rome’s book about the world premiere of the musical version of Gone With the Wind in Tokyo in 1970. Her husband Harold Rome wrote the score.

There was also a pretty good book about the pre-Broadway tryout of Any Wednesday in the 1960s, a lot of it had to do with Michael Rennie being replaced by Don Porter.

by Anonymousreply 177July 18, 2022 9:18 PM

The DL Bible

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178July 18, 2022 9:19 PM

GWTW

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179July 18, 2022 9:21 PM

I thought "Not Since Carrie" was the bible here.

by Anonymousreply 180July 18, 2022 9:21 PM

It's the Old Testament, r180.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181July 18, 2022 9:23 PM

What the fuck is the Last Midnight even about and why does the just witch disappear? Makes zero sense.

by Anonymousreply 182July 18, 2022 9:33 PM

The same thing can be said for the entire score Paradise Square.

by Anonymousreply 183July 18, 2022 10:18 PM

How very...very.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184July 18, 2022 10:27 PM

"I'm just not a Little Me fan....they took a hilarious book that centers on a fabulous female character and turned it into a musical vehicle for a male star to play the men in the fabulous female character's life. If that doesn't define the misogyny of the entertainment business, I don't know what does."

You don't know is dead right. Sid Caesar was a huge star and Simon had worked for the man and knew how to tailor material for him. Just because he had an idea that he put into effect for professional and personal reasons doesn't mean that he, unlike YOU, cancelled the rest of humanity.

by Anonymousreply 185July 18, 2022 10:29 PM

Of course, the day I have tickets to Into the Woods, Miller is out

by Anonymousreply 186July 18, 2022 10:30 PM

Beanie Fieldstein as Peggy Sawyer in the Red Lobster production of 42nd Street!

by Anonymousreply 187July 18, 2022 10:55 PM

I like Miller’s Last Midnight best.

by Anonymousreply 188July 18, 2022 11:23 PM

There’s a much better musical that could have been written based on Little Me. The original material is so much better than the musical we have.

by Anonymousreply 189July 18, 2022 11:32 PM

Headley's line reading of "just give me the boy" is bone chilling.

by Anonymousreply 190July 18, 2022 11:41 PM

Not really, r189. The book's gimmick was to cram *every* element from actresses' "auto-bios" into one satirical book. The musical has to soften that edge so Belle will be sympathetic and not such a cartoon. It dilutes the original's bite. The same thing happened with Auntie Mame. Although Auntie Mame got to transition from book to play to musical.

by Anonymousreply 191July 18, 2022 11:45 PM

R14 I think its pretty obvious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192July 18, 2022 11:46 PM

I could see Beanie in a musical version of "The Exorcist" based on that.

by Anonymousreply 193July 18, 2022 11:48 PM

They should do CADDYSHACK The Musical, Beanie can do the Rodney Dangerfield role. She looks exactly like him in drag…

by Anonymousreply 194July 19, 2022 12:08 AM

How long does a show have to be closed for its reopening to be considered eligible for Tony Awards?

E.g., if Funny Girl closed and was significantly retooled for opening a week later, could it be considered a new revival and eligible?

by Anonymousreply 195July 19, 2022 12:13 AM

I doubt it, r195.

by Anonymousreply 196July 19, 2022 12:17 AM

Also, r195, there isn't time for significant changes.

by Anonymousreply 197July 19, 2022 12:18 AM

Also, nobody working on FG is smart enough to make significant changes that would make for a better production. So, there's that. I'm sure the Tony nominators still wouldn't be swayed.

by Anonymousreply 198July 19, 2022 12:58 AM

As long as Sonia Friedman is producing, expect absolute crap.

by Anonymousreply 199July 19, 2022 1:00 AM

[quote]Sid Caesar was a huge star and Simon had worked for the man and knew how to tailor material for him. Just because he had an idea that he put into effect for professional and personal reasons doesn't mean that he, unlike YOU, cancelled the rest of humanity.

It also doesn't make "Little Me" a good musical. It isn't one. And Sid Caesar's shtick and stardom were of their time. Remember how hilarious he was in the movie of "Grease"? Neither does anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 200July 19, 2022 1:30 AM

R200, have you gone outside today? LITTLE ME is, and always has been, pure fun top-drawer fluff. No one is claiming it's HAMLET.

by Anonymousreply 201July 19, 2022 1:37 AM

What are the chances of any more closing notices coming soon?

by Anonymousreply 202July 19, 2022 2:09 AM

Sid Caesar's stardom had dropped considerably by the time of LITTLE ME. True, he was a huge star of early television but by the end of the 1950s his brand of schtick was tiresome and passe. It was a big mistake to make him the focus of Belle Poitrine's story.

And Neil Simon was not such a big deal in 1962 when he wrote Little Me. Barefoot in the Park was a year away and his only prior hit was Come Blow Your Horn, all but forgotten today.

I love the score of Little Me but the libretto is painstakingly unfunny and outdated.

by Anonymousreply 203July 19, 2022 2:14 AM

I can't believe POTUS hasn't posted a closing notice yet. I hear it's all but empty, at least on week nights.

by Anonymousreply 204July 19, 2022 2:15 AM

That should have read: painfully unfunny and outdated, lol.

by Anonymousreply 205July 19, 2022 2:17 AM

[quote]R200, have you gone outside today? LITTLE ME is, and always has been, pure fun top-drawer fluff.

Your "have you gone outside today?" remark tells me all I need to know about your concept of what qualifies as witty, R201.

by Anonymousreply 206July 19, 2022 2:20 AM

R206 And your bizarre, persistent anti-LITTLE ME rants tells the world all we need to know about your precarious mental state. It's LITTLE ME, FFS!

by Anonymousreply 207July 19, 2022 2:26 AM

I like the idea of a show being painstakingly unfunny and outdated. Paging Bialystock and Bloom!

by Anonymousreply 208July 19, 2022 2:40 AM

POTUS?

by Anonymousreply 209July 19, 2022 2:43 AM

On the flip side, I'm impressed Hadestown has lasted as long as it has.

by Anonymousreply 210July 19, 2022 2:48 AM

[quote]Beanie Fieldstein as Peggy Sawyer

I read that as Piggy Sawyer

by Anonymousreply 211July 19, 2022 3:22 AM

Little Me has one of the best overtures...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212July 19, 2022 3:24 AM

I wish I'd seen the Little Me revival, if only for a glimpse of the then-smoking hot Michael Park doing some sort of striptease song.

by Anonymousreply 213July 19, 2022 3:29 AM

Beanie Feldstein in "Little Me!" The most ironic title since Beanie Feldstein in "Funny Girl"!

by Anonymousreply 214July 19, 2022 3:30 AM

All this Little Me talk and no mention of Victor Garber? He was associated with it at some point, right?

I just remember Little Me was included in a collection/anthology of Neil Simon plays and as a teenager I could never figure out what it was supposed to be.

by Anonymousreply 215July 19, 2022 3:36 AM

I wholeheartedly agree with the poster here who actively hated Beanie Feldstein in HELLO, DOLLY! I got the impression while watching her in the show that she was unhappy with the size of her role and tried to draw focus by shrieking all of her lines and also adding that annoying, hateful, ear-splitting cackle whenever she could. I actually hated her more in DOLLY! than in FUNNY GIRL, and that's saying something....

by Anonymousreply 216July 19, 2022 3:46 AM

This is what it was supposed to be, r215, but how close the musical got to it....?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217July 19, 2022 3:46 AM

Beanie made no impression on me in Hello, Dolly

by Anonymousreply 218July 19, 2022 3:47 AM

The Encores production of "Little Me" was as good as that show is ever going to get. Christian Borle was excellent and they managed to really push the best parts of the show.

I also saw the James Coco/Victor Garber production where they split the Sid Caesar role and each played half, but it was pretty terrible. I thought Hal Prince directed that version, but he didn't, I just saw him in the audience when I saw the show and assumed he did.

by Anonymousreply 219July 19, 2022 3:54 AM

Cleavon Little Me

by Anonymousreply 220July 19, 2022 4:02 AM

Marry Me A Little Me

by Anonymousreply 221July 19, 2022 4:03 AM

The Little Me Nobody Knows

by Anonymousreply 222July 19, 2022 4:05 AM

This is just so zippy...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223July 19, 2022 4:07 AM

Swen and Paula

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224July 19, 2022 4:16 AM

[quote]There’s a much better musical that could have been written based on Little Me. The original material is so much better than the musical we have.

Maybe there's a better musical to be made from the book, but it's hard to imagine anyone writing a better score than Cy Coleman and Carolyn Leigh. Especially lately

by Anonymousreply 225July 19, 2022 4:30 AM

I wish there was video of Swen doing "I've Got Your Number". It was supposed to have been quite a sexy mini-striptease of a dance, and he was quite hot. Swen also produced "And Puppy Dog Tails" one of the first off-Broadway gay plays that didn't treat gays as victims or murders, just as regular folks. The shows starred the very hot Ken Kliban and George Reeder, original standby for Nicky Arnstein, who went on quite a bit opposite Barbra Streisand in "Funny Girl". Plus the play had a lot of nudity apparently. Bill Murray, presumably in the non-nude role, apparently did the show in Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 226July 19, 2022 4:40 AM

A Little Me Night Music.

by Anonymousreply 227July 19, 2022 5:22 AM

So much blather about Litle Me, a show that has never been a hit.

by Anonymousreply 228July 19, 2022 5:23 AM

R228, what the fuck does it matter that it has never been a hit, you turd? Neither has FOLLIES.

by Anonymousreply 229July 19, 2022 5:26 AM

Now you've done it, R228. You've upset the "Little Me" stan.

by Anonymousreply 230July 19, 2022 5:29 AM

R230

I know....

by Anonymousreply 231July 19, 2022 5:31 AM

I'm glad he brought up Folllies.

EVERY Broadway production of Follies has ran considerably longer than any Broadway production of Little Me.

Follies is really only a "flop" because it's an expensive show to do. It's that damn huge cast.

And, I just saw those photos from the SF Follies.

Ouch. I've seen community theater do a better job. Carlotta in that tacky leopard print outfit?!?!? Really? Carlotta is the only one of the girls who became a star...she should look like one and not like a drag queen hooker.

by Anonymousreply 232July 19, 2022 5:36 AM

Actually, R2228 / R230 and R231 -- you who think you are cool and with-it because you use the word "stan," even though you are actually idiots -- I had not weighed in on LITTLE ME at all until I read the incredibly stupid comment at R228.

by Anonymousreply 233July 19, 2022 5:36 AM

Have yourself a merry little White Christmas!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234July 19, 2022 5:47 AM

[quote] R229 what the fuck does it matter that “Little Me” has never been a hit, you turd? Neither has FOLLIES.

[italic]Oh no she DIDN’T!

by Anonymousreply 235July 19, 2022 5:48 AM

There's a lead character in White Christmas who's an 80 year old female lounge lizard?

by Anonymousreply 236July 19, 2022 6:26 AM

[quote][R228], what the fuck does it matter that it has never been a hit, you turd? Neither has FOLLIES.

That's a... pretty extreme reaction, r229.

Maybe listen to this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237July 19, 2022 6:56 AM

Why does Lorna work in UK theatre so much? Couldn't she have been a Broadway Morrible, Mama Morton, or anyone in either of the Follies revivals?

by Anonymousreply 238July 19, 2022 7:00 AM

Hadestown boot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239July 19, 2022 7:03 AM

Lorna Luft and Roz Kind starring in Chicago! And Stella Parton as Mama Morton.

by Anonymousreply 240July 19, 2022 10:43 AM

[quote] EVERY Broadway production of Follies has ran considerably longer than any Broadway production of Little Me.

" Has run," dammit, not " Has ran."

by Anonymousreply 241July 19, 2022 11:48 AM

Had Little Me been closer to the book, it would have been much campier and much more gay. That wouldn't have flown in 1962.

And every time the LM recording comes up, I feel obliged to credit the orchestrations by the gay Ralph Burns, who brought such excitement and color to Funny Girl, Sweet Charity, Pippin, New York New York, etc. He was aces.

by Anonymousreply 242July 19, 2022 12:10 PM

"I wish there was video of Swen doing "I've Got Your Number"

There is a clip of sexy Don Correia doing the number from a revival on YT. (can't post it right now, sorry).

by Anonymousreply 243July 19, 2022 12:22 PM

Ralph Burns also could do Robert Russell Bennett better than Robert Russell Bennett with his exquisite orchestrations for Do I Hear A Waltz? It's not the typical show Burns would ordinarily do, but he showed he could tackle anything.

by Anonymousreply 244July 19, 2022 12:27 PM

I don't think the original or any of the major revivals of Little Me stage I've Got Your Number as a true strip tease. Taking off a jacket and/or vest and undoing a neck tie seems to be as far they ever go.

Am I wrong? I saw Tony Yazbeck do the role at Encores and he didn't take off his shirt. And if he didn't, who would??

by Anonymousreply 245July 19, 2022 12:28 PM

[quote]Follies is really only a "flop" because it's an expensive show to do. It's that damn huge cast.

Sigh.

by Anonymousreply 246July 19, 2022 12:46 PM

Speaking of Hadestown...I've never seen it. Is it worth a trip?

by Anonymousreply 247July 19, 2022 12:48 PM

[quote] it worth a trip?

Go to hell.

by Anonymousreply 248July 19, 2022 12:57 PM

Rob and Laura do " I've Got Your Number."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249July 19, 2022 1:14 PM

DL icon Joey Heatherton.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250July 19, 2022 1:16 PM

Don Correia

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251July 19, 2022 1:17 PM

Speaking of sexy, check out those Ben Davis pics all over the place. Sweeney Hot. You can shave me Daddy...

by Anonymousreply 252July 19, 2022 1:57 PM

Meh.

by Anonymousreply 253July 19, 2022 2:07 PM

Hot Daddy Ben...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254July 19, 2022 2:10 PM

I want Ben Davis inside me quite deeply.

by Anonymousreply 255July 19, 2022 2:16 PM

I saw Swen in the original Little Me on tour in Detroit. It was a faux-strip number with nothing revealed, alas.

by Anonymousreply 256July 19, 2022 2:18 PM

I wish there was video of the Michael Park one.

by Anonymousreply 257July 19, 2022 2:19 PM

R232, what are you smoking?

The original LITTLE ME ran 257 performances. FOLLIES' first Broadway revival ran 117 performances; the more recent one ran 152.

Pull the other one.

by Anonymousreply 258July 19, 2022 2:20 PM

Who is Ben Davis? Is he an opera singer?

by Anonymousreply 259July 19, 2022 2:41 PM

Does he have Benny Davis eyes?

by Anonymousreply 260July 19, 2022 3:24 PM

I saw him (Ben Davis) at the Ahmanson about 6 years ago as Captain Von Trapp in that last revival tour of Sound of Music. (Small Voice) I really enjoyed it - it was a good production …,,

by Anonymousreply 261July 19, 2022 3:25 PM

Ben Davis is so famous that he has a high school named for him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262July 19, 2022 4:09 PM

[quote]R250 DL icon Joey Heatherton.

Why have we been denied (YOUR) PAL JOEY: THE JOEY HEATHERTON STORY?

(Wasn’t Helen Lawson in talks to play her mom?)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263July 19, 2022 4:37 PM

I've met Ben through friends. Very straight, very nice guy. Women swarm around him. Maybe DL could set up a conversion committee?

by Anonymousreply 264July 19, 2022 4:42 PM

I've seen Ben with Randy Rainbow. I'm sure Randy is his working on the conversion...

by Anonymousreply 265July 19, 2022 4:55 PM

[quote] (YOUR) PAL JOEY: THE JOEY HEATHERTON STORY

I freaking love this. If I were in charge of an LGBT TV station, this is exactly the sort of TV movie-of-the-week we'd be making.

Younger homosexuals NEED to know about tigress/temptress/survivor Joey.

by Anonymousreply 266July 19, 2022 5:02 PM

I'm an older homosexual and I don't even know what the fuck Joey Heatherton ever did except be a punchline.

by Anonymousreply 267July 19, 2022 5:29 PM

Apparently you're not quite old enough, R267. She frequently showed up on TV variety shows of the 1960s, back when TV variety shows were still popular, and was famously impersonated by Catherine O'Hara as "Lola Heatherton" on SCTV. She also co-starred in the 1964 movie crapfest "Where Love Has Gone," with Susan Hayward and Bette Davis, which is high camp heaven.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268July 19, 2022 5:43 PM

^^ Lola Heatherton ^^

by Anonymousreply 269July 19, 2022 5:45 PM

Didn’t Joey do an interpretive Indian Princess dance to “Eli’s Coming”? I can’t find it on YT.

by Anonymousreply 270July 19, 2022 5:50 PM

If she didn't r270, she certainly should have.

by Anonymousreply 271July 19, 2022 5:57 PM

Aw c'mon, she's a Nam vet...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272July 19, 2022 6:06 PM

[quote] I wish there was video of the Michael Park one.

Go to 4:54 in the press reel and you can see a bit of his "I Got Your Number"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273July 19, 2022 6:29 PM

Make that "I've Got Your Number"

by Anonymousreply 274July 19, 2022 6:31 PM

Meh. Make that "I've Already Forgotten Your Number."

Underwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 275July 19, 2022 6:33 PM

That revival was horrible. Which is a shame, as Marty Short was a great idea for it.

by Anonymousreply 276July 19, 2022 6:41 PM

Jaquel Spivey is apparently missing a lot of performances at A Strange Loop

Also, the cast of Paradise Square are starting to post their experiences on social media, and I can't help but think "what the fuck were you expecting?". One complaining that they weren't paid properly in Chicago and yet still came to New York - and then whining Equity didn't protect them. How about using some sense and protecting yourself?

by Anonymousreply 277July 19, 2022 7:08 PM

That press reel for the Roundabout LITTLE ME was "painstakingly" awful. So much frantic pushing for laughs. Even the great score sounds so aggressively shrill.

Faith Prince, who was really too old to play both young and the old Belle, and Marty Short look so desperate. So effortful.

I think I like the show even less now.

by Anonymousreply 278July 19, 2022 7:32 PM

Thanks R273.

The way I'd heard it described it sounded like he actually stripped.

by Anonymousreply 279July 19, 2022 7:40 PM

mlop weighs in on Julie B:

Julie was a guest on Steven Brinberg "Simply Barbra" last night. She was no allowed to sing anything from "funny Girl". She sang a Barbra classic "Second Hand Rose" and then in duet with Steve, the classic duet. She is so fantastic and so sweet. This break is so wonderful for her and has a great in front of her. She is so sweet. Do go see her in August.

by Anonymousreply 280July 19, 2022 7:42 PM

Julie, beware!!!

by Anonymousreply 281July 19, 2022 7:44 PM

Julie, beware!!!

by Anonymousreply 282July 19, 2022 7:44 PM

[quote]Jaquel Spivey is apparently missing a lot of performances at A Strange Loop

And yet he's getting a pass for this, while everyone has justifiably been making a big deal over Beanie's absences. Hmm, I wonder why that is?

[quote]Also, the cast of Paradise Square are starting to post their experiences on social media, and I can't help but think "what the fuck were you expecting?". One complaining that they weren't paid properly in Chicago and yet still came to New York - and then whining Equity didn't protect them. How about using some sense and protecting yourself?

My thoughts exactly. Why Darth Grabinsky was EVER allowed to produce again on Broadway is a mystery, but since he was, my opinion is that anyone who chose to sign on for his show should not be even remotely surprised at the outcome.

by Anonymousreply 283July 19, 2022 8:25 PM

[quote] the cast of Paradise Square are starting to post their experiences on social media

Can you share any links?

by Anonymousreply 284July 19, 2022 8:32 PM

Mlop, what pray tell is the classic duet? Happy Days/Get Happy?? Heaven forfend!

by Anonymousreply 285July 19, 2022 8:45 PM

[quote] And yet he's getting a pass for this, while everyone has justifiably been making a big deal over Beanie's absences. Hmm, I wonder why that is?

Beanie's a movie star. No one cares who Spivey is

by Anonymousreply 286July 19, 2022 8:46 PM

R284 Here you go, if you scroll down there's also a link to a blog post from someone called Clinton Roane, who claims to want to be a writer, but judging from that post....good luck with that. He was part of the workshop and Cali production

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287July 19, 2022 8:47 PM

I liked the 1982 version of Little Me. I thought the roles were well-divided between the men, and Mary Gordon Murray was terrific as Belle. I did not like Jessica James as a trashy older Belle, though.

by Anonymousreply 288July 19, 2022 9:29 PM

Variety article on the mess at PS

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289July 19, 2022 9:32 PM

R288, even though I believe it's not true to the Patrick Dennis book, I think it's much funnier if Belle ends up as a trashy old lush singing in a seedy nightclub than as a rich old lady writing her memoirs.

by Anonymousreply 290July 19, 2022 9:34 PM

Well, r290, she *did* go through that "drinking more than is good for me" phase.

by Anonymousreply 291July 19, 2022 9:45 PM

A STRANGE LOOP's box office isn't impacted by Spivey's absences, R283, and the show wasn't mounted as a vehicle for him as an above-the-title star.

You knew both of those things, and yet you're posting snarkily anyway, Hmmm, wonder why that is.

by Anonymousreply 292July 19, 2022 9:50 PM

From the article at r289:

[quote] One member of the crew, who identifies as non-binary, lost their pinky finger in an accident during a rehearsal.

They can now never drink tea again.

by Anonymousreply 293July 19, 2022 9:55 PM

[quote] A STRANGE LOOP's box office isn't impacted by Spivey's absences

What box office?

by Anonymousreply 294July 19, 2022 9:55 PM

And yet, Jaquel was nominated for the Tony (and even seemed to be the favorite over the likes of Hugh Jackman) and Beanie was not. So, one would think his absences would affect the box office. I'm not defending Jaquel or Beanie but it is odd that one is severely criticized and one is not.

by Anonymousreply 295July 19, 2022 9:56 PM

Sad news.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296July 19, 2022 9:57 PM

Beanie’s Merrily costar Blake Jenner got a DUI. Hope he makes it through the filming, his life a bit tumultuous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297July 19, 2022 9:58 PM

WHY would anyone hire toxic Blake Jenner? Tons of trouble, not especially talented, and he's not even that good-looking anymore.

by Anonymousreply 298July 19, 2022 10:00 PM

R287 no money for vodka spray cleaner

by Anonymousreply 299July 19, 2022 10:01 PM

Between Blake, Ben and Beanie, that Merrily film project is doomed.

by Anonymousreply 300July 19, 2022 10:02 PM

R295, how? In the extremely unlikely event that anyone would ask for a refund at the STRANGE LOOP box office due to his absence, none would be granted, as he's not billed above the title.

by Anonymousreply 301July 19, 2022 10:03 PM

R298 maybe they’ll replace him in merrily now + reshoot (did they start filming?) since it’s filming over 20 years or whatever .. he’s Franklin Shepard!

by Anonymousreply 302July 19, 2022 10:03 PM

The revival Merrily cast, Dan Radcliffe and Jonathan Groff (Mary is unannounced) is a lot more exciting than the “movie” cast.

by Anonymousreply 303July 19, 2022 10:03 PM

"Jonathan Groff (Mary is unannounced)"

Are you sure? MARY!!

(couldn't resist)

by Anonymousreply 304July 19, 2022 10:05 PM

“the cast of Paradise Square are starting to post their experiences on social media …. One complaining that they weren't paid properly in Chicago”

Learn to code.

by Anonymousreply 305July 19, 2022 10:10 PM

r302 Yes, they've already shot one bunch of scenes

by Anonymousreply 306July 19, 2022 10:29 PM

Will that footage never see the light of day like Liza's Evita screen test?

by Anonymousreply 307July 19, 2022 10:39 PM

I’m sure that Garth is evil incarnate, but he DID keep that crappy show open for longer than anyone with any sense would. The cast made a lot more money than they would have if it had closed after opening night, which it should have.

The creatives, though, won’t see a dime.

by Anonymousreply 308July 19, 2022 10:41 PM

And Garth should go back to prison, if, for nothing else, bad taste.

by Anonymousreply 309July 19, 2022 10:48 PM

I am hoping the Radcliffe Merrily revival is such a success that Linklater will do the right thing and drop the idea of a Platt/Beanie film that absolutely nobody wants.

by Anonymousreply 310July 19, 2022 11:31 PM

R310, I don't see your point -- surely if the Radcliffe revival is a success, that would only lend support to the idea that a MERRILY film is a good idea.

by Anonymousreply 311July 19, 2022 11:32 PM

Has anyone seen A STRANGE LOOP both off and on Broadway. I saw it off and didn't like it enough to see it again, but the clips I've seen of the new Usher (Spivey) he seems not as good as the dude who did it at Playwrights.

by Anonymousreply 312July 19, 2022 11:40 PM

I hated A Strange Loop but went along as someone’s +1 both off and on Broadway. The new Usher is much worse.

by Anonymousreply 313July 19, 2022 11:44 PM

[quote]And yet he's getting a pass for this, while everyone has justifiably been making a big deal over Beanie's absences. Hmm, I wonder why that is?

In addition to the obvious, his show was not as anticipated as hers. The publicity was a small fraction of Beanie and that revival. And, very few people in the country really have any idea who he is or the show he's in.

by Anonymousreply 314July 19, 2022 11:45 PM

r298, because there will inevitably be those like the Lea Michele defenders who keep screeching, "Everyone deserves a second chance!"

Reading that Paradise Square article in Variety is a good reminder that, no, not everyone deserves a second chance. Sometimes you have to believe who people are the first time they show you.

by Anonymousreply 315July 20, 2022 12:00 AM

Also, completely aside from Garth’s deplorable antics, Paradise Square is a fucking godawful show.

by Anonymousreply 316July 20, 2022 12:02 AM

I'm happy that Beanie got fired. Every other forum goes out of their way to frame her as a poor victim of internet vitriol. Well the bitch couldn't act, dance, or sing. Beanie is a nepotism brat to the core. The cunt of all time, Lea Michele, replacing her says all you need to know.

I also hope they cancel that Merrily We Roll Along movie. Beanie and Ben have failed as leads. Get the show to work on stage before making a film.

by Anonymousreply 317July 20, 2022 12:10 AM

[quote]And yet, Jaquel was nominated for the Tony (and even seemed to be the favorite over the likes of Hugh Jackman) and Beanie was not. So, one would think his absences would affect the box office. I'm not defending Jaquel or Beanie but it is odd that one is severely criticized and one is not.

Exactly. Thank you. And also, reportedly Jaquel has withdrawn from several shows mid-performance, something that would normally be a highly newsworthy occurrence, whether or not his absence really affects the box office. But I have read very little coverage of that.

by Anonymousreply 318July 20, 2022 12:21 AM

The Radcliffe Merrily will have zero effect on the Merrily movie because by the time they get it in theaters, Radcliffe will be doing a Broadway revival of The Gin Game and nobody will remember his Merrily.

by Anonymousreply 319July 20, 2022 12:30 AM

Unless it's *the* production that finally makes the show work, r319.

by Anonymousreply 320July 20, 2022 12:41 AM

Most of us on here will be dead by the time the MERRILY movie is completed.

Just a reminder of the obvious.

by Anonymousreply 321July 20, 2022 12:53 AM

I know I'll be, R321. And it sounds as though I won't be missing much. But, however it turns out, I'm glad to be able to say I have no investment, and therefore no interest, in it whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 322July 20, 2022 1:11 AM

I would love to see Liza's screen test for Evita! Whacht's new? Buenessss Eye Raizeeee!!!!

by Anonymousreply 323July 20, 2022 1:22 AM

Funny, yesterday somebody mentioned the wonderful Behind the Scenes of No No Nanette book. Today is Helen Gallagher’s (aka Maeve Ryan) 96th birthday! Do we know if she is a happy and Lucid 96 year old?

by Anonymousreply 324July 20, 2022 1:51 AM

She lives on West End Ave. Met her years ago. Rather a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 325July 20, 2022 1:56 AM

IIRC Helen Gallagher was just about the only person who came through that Making of Nanette expose unscathed. There might have been something about costume designer Raoul Pene du Bois insisting she cut her "signature" bangs against her wishes, but that's all I remember about her in the book.

Last year someone linked a recent interview with Helen, I think done at The Lambs Club with a small audience. She was lucid though did need some prompting to remember some of the specifics of her career.

by Anonymousreply 326July 20, 2022 1:58 AM

She was mean to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327July 20, 2022 2:02 AM

Elaine Joyce Van Simon & Helen's signature bangs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328July 20, 2022 2:16 AM

My ptr and I saw A STRANGE LOOP last week, evening perf and we saw a cover. He was fantastic, but yes, I hear that Spivey is out a lot.

by Anonymousreply 329July 20, 2022 2:16 AM

Spivey is skevvy

by Anonymousreply 330July 20, 2022 2:30 AM

Live form the Lambs with Helen Gallagher 2019

I hope the link works (for those who care)!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331July 20, 2022 2:31 AM

[Quote] Most of us on here will be dead by the time the MERRILY movie is completed.

Most of you will be dead by the time Lea begins in Funny Girl

by Anonymousreply 332July 20, 2022 2:53 AM

[quote] Most of us on here will be dead by the time the MERRILY movie is completed.

I’m planning on it

by Anonymousreply 333July 20, 2022 2:53 AM

Tony Awards '73 - Dance medley with Gwen Verdon, Donna Mc Kechnie, Paula Kelly, Helen Gallagher

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334July 20, 2022 2:58 AM

When Helen Gallagher turned up on the BEHIND THE CURTAIN: BROADWAY'S LIVING LEGENDS podcast a few years ago, I found her surprisingly cunty. Poor Rob Schneider and sweet Kevin David Thomas (the latter surely the gayest straight man alive) seemed befuddled throughout but carried on bravely.

by Anonymousreply 335July 20, 2022 3:09 AM

I forever hate Helen Gallagher because she denied Elaine Stritch her rightful Company Tony Award

by Anonymousreply 336July 20, 2022 3:15 AM

[italic]LINE ! !

by Anonymousreply 337July 20, 2022 3:22 AM

I get that Spivey is out a lot, but what kind of idiots hire a kid right out of college with NO professional credits to be the LEAD in a highly-anticipated new Broadway musical where the character barely ever leaves the stage. WTF kind of casting/producing is that? No wonder the kid is melting down. He's. A. Kid. Say what you want about Cameron but when he would find wildly talented kids, he would discreetly stick them in the ensembles of his other shows first to help them learn how to actually be in a show. He did that with a lot of those "Saigon" girls. They would be in Les Mis for a time first.

by Anonymousreply 338July 20, 2022 4:06 AM

Thank you for posting the 1973 Tony’s - that was odd but super at the same time. By that time neither Helen or Gwen were girls anymore but they were fantastic,. You know when you have fun with your friends when you are all good at something. All that group needed was Chita Rivera and Gretchen Wyler - that would have been fun!

by Anonymousreply 339July 20, 2022 4:34 AM

Any reason that the Liza "Evita" screentest hasn't shown up? She was supposed to have been really good; Ken Russell wanted to hire her when he was scheduled to direct the film. Does Liza herself own it?

by Anonymousreply 340July 20, 2022 4:38 AM

How many grossly fat, femmy black bottoms are there who can sing and act? You take what you can get.

by Anonymousreply 341July 20, 2022 4:43 AM

I don’t think Lisha had it in her to play a cold, mercenary antihero. She craves audience approval to much.

Her Evita would have been too “wounded.”

by Anonymousreply 342July 20, 2022 4:48 AM

Broadway Will Continue Audience Mask-Optional Policy At Least Through August:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343July 20, 2022 4:55 AM

Broadway Shows See Some Box Office Momentum With Summer-Lean Roster; ‘Into The Woods’ Scores $1.8M, ‘Funny Girl’ At $785G:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344July 20, 2022 4:57 AM

[quote]And also, reportedly Jaquel has withdrawn from several shows mid-performance, something that would normally be a highly newsworthy occurrence...

Why is he trying to get away with this behavior? He's NOT EVEN TRANS!

by Anonymousreply 345July 20, 2022 5:36 AM

Helen didn’t steal Elaine’s Tony. Even when she was brilliant, Stritch was a pain in the ass, and nobody was going to vote for her. She had to be nominated for Company because it was a great performance, but nobody was voting for her.

by Anonymousreply 346July 20, 2022 10:37 AM

I’ve heard that can happen r346

by Anonymousreply 347July 20, 2022 10:45 AM

Tammy Blanchard has top billing in Little Shop. The show has new with Rob McClure—but none with Audrey. Really weird

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 348July 20, 2022 11:08 AM

They are on like their 7th Seymour but we are still stuck with Tammy's terrible Audrey. Leave and give someone else a chance

by Anonymousreply 349July 20, 2022 11:49 AM

Suddenly Semen!

by Anonymousreply 350July 20, 2022 12:07 PM

WTF is wrong with you?

by Anonymousreply 351July 20, 2022 12:08 PM

Singapore/Fling's latest on ATC, in reference to Daniel Fish's HAPPY FELLA:

"An all-female production of a show may have trans women in it, but it isn't inherently a trans work of art. Nor was Richard played as a trans character, so being opposed to a female Richard again has nothing to do with transphobia. And there is nothing ridiculous about a bunch of women singing about watching other women and being attracted to them, because there are women who are attracted to other women. So a person who is opposed to those things wouldn't be transphobic, but they would definitely be small-minded, reactionary, and aligned with the patriarchy and its desire to deprive women of visibility and opportunity in our culture. The nice thing about complaints like this is that they simply prove that our theatre culture has changed. These productions are being created, audiences are going to see them, and people who don't like it can only post bitter, increasingly meaningless rants about it online."

Yes, absolutely, definitely. Because we all agree that women have had very limited visibility and opportunity in theatre until recent times.

by Anonymousreply 352July 20, 2022 12:29 PM

DON’T. BRING. ATC. SHIT. HERE.

No one fucking cares. Knock it off. Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 353July 20, 2022 12:34 PM

I saw A Strange Loop during a Sat Matinee. Spivey was out. The cover, making his Bway debut with that performance, was excellent.

I absolutely loved A Strange Loop but don't see how the tourist audience would identify so much with the characters.

by Anonymousreply 354July 20, 2022 12:43 PM

In particular, please do not bring the odious Singapore/Fling here. Please.

by Anonymousreply 355July 20, 2022 12:44 PM

There's one of Blanchard in this set:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 356July 20, 2022 12:47 PM

R356, whenever I see a pic of Rob McClure, I get sleepy

by Anonymousreply 357July 20, 2022 12:49 PM

R357, sleep tight, dear. Thanks for letting us know.

by Anonymousreply 358July 20, 2022 12:51 PM

I don’t think Tammy Blanchard plays 8 shows a week. Her covers seem to be on a lot. It might be an arrangement she has with production.

by Anonymousreply 359July 20, 2022 1:11 PM

[quote] There's one of Blanchard in this set:

Odd choice for the leading lady. If I were a conspiracy theorist, I'd say that they could have stripped her into that one from an earlier pic, but I won't.

Still weird that there's nothing of just her and McClure.

by Anonymousreply 360July 20, 2022 1:13 PM

[quote]In particular, please do not bring the odious Singapore/Fling here. Please.

Not even for purposes of ridicule? Okay, Sorry!

by Anonymousreply 361July 20, 2022 1:18 PM

I'm sure I'm gonna get flamed for this, but...I'd like to hear Jennifer Holiday do all the songs from Gypsy. Sure, she treats nearly every song like it's 'And I Am Telling You...'" but hearing this from Mame makes me think it would be a cool one night event to hear that approach to Some People, . Everything Coming Up Roses, and Rose's Turn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 362July 20, 2022 1:49 PM

Refresh my memory- Wasn't Borle supposed to do the Encores run of ITW but dropped out because of....? I assumed it was a conflict with some great new role. Yet he's STILL playing a small role in the OB Little Shop? Why is he still slumming it in that role?

by Anonymousreply 363July 20, 2022 1:49 PM

Ignore the hall monitors, r361. Bossy Betties, the lot.

by Anonymousreply 364July 20, 2022 2:17 PM

R363, Borle is doing Some Like It Hot in the fall. Probably just biding his time in LSOH until then. I don't think a concrete explanation was ever given for why he dropped out of ITW.

by Anonymousreply 365July 20, 2022 2:29 PM

Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 366July 20, 2022 2:30 PM

[r362] I have some Broadway dish for you. In 2001 on the heels of the 9/11 attacks, they were casting the revival of Into the Woods. Billy Porter was James Lapine’ stop choice for the Witch, and Sondheim gave approval. The producers ended up going with Vanessa Williams because they wanted the security of her name with the attacks having just happened. The third name in the mix and had auditioned multiple times was…Jennifer Holliday. It came down to her and Vanessa, once Billy was out.

I’m sure someone somewhere has a recording of her auditions and I’m sure her Last Midnight and Stay With Me are exciting takes!

by Anonymousreply 367July 20, 2022 2:32 PM

I love Jennifer, but boy she cannot act.

by Anonymousreply 368July 20, 2022 2:34 PM

Do we have any reason to believe that Jennifer Holliday could have remotely handled the acting required for the role of the Witch in INTO THE WOODS, or would ever have been able to deliver those Sondheim lyrics effectively, especially the Witch's first number? I don't think so. As it was, I don't think Vanessa Williams was well cast, but Holliday as the Witch would have been ridiculous casting for the wrong reasons.

by Anonymousreply 369July 20, 2022 2:38 PM

Jennifer Fucking Holliday? During portions of Into The Woods, the witch is supposed to be sexy/beautiful. Was there going to be a lip synching body double to play those scenes ?

by Anonymousreply 370July 20, 2022 2:46 PM

[quote] I love Jennifer, but boy she cannot act.

She was surprising tender and touching in The Color Purple

[quote] During portions of Into The Woods, the witch is supposed to be sexy/beautiful.

I think we're trying to redefine what that might mean in a show, or at least push back on the skinny white girl norms there. The sexy model for the Witch came from Bernadette's go-to bombshell schtick, which was delightful. But a glammed up Black woman could work too. Vanessa was sort of in between but came across as just blandly haughty. As usual.

by Anonymousreply 371July 20, 2022 2:50 PM

Vanessa Williams would have been better cast as the Bakers Wife.

by Anonymousreply 372July 20, 2022 3:20 PM

By 2002, Jennifer had long lost her weight and was thin and pretty.

by Anonymousreply 373July 20, 2022 3:27 PM

"She was surprising tender and touching in The Color Purple"

That was Jennifer Hudson.

I thought Holiday's performance in DREAMGIRLS was one of the greatest I've ever seen. How much of that was Michael Bennett I'll never know, and it seems that JH hasn't really done much of anything else since. I know I would have rather seen her in ITW than Vannessa Williams, who I find colorless in everything I've seen her do onstage.

by Anonymousreply 374July 20, 2022 3:41 PM

Holiday replaced Headley who replaced Hudson in CP revival.

by Anonymousreply 375July 20, 2022 4:01 PM

[quote]During portions of Into The Woods, the witch is supposed to be sexy/beautiful. Was there going to be a lip synching body double to play those scenes ?

Didn't let it stop me in the movie, fellas.

Well, okay. Maybe the lip-synching part, a little.

by Anonymousreply 376July 20, 2022 4:04 PM

Has anyone tried playing “Merrily” backwards?

I.e.: starting at the end and progressing forward chronologically.

I doubt the estate would allow it.

(And I miss the “graduation “ ending from the 1981 original. That was so moving.)

by Anonymousreply 377July 20, 2022 4:07 PM

Little Me has great lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 378July 20, 2022 4:38 PM

Without the gimmick, r377, how interesting are those people's lives?

by Anonymousreply 379July 20, 2022 4:56 PM

^Little Me don't care.

by Anonymousreply 380July 20, 2022 4:57 PM

Why are Little Me so stupid?

by Anonymousreply 381July 20, 2022 5:02 PM

[quote] That was Jennifer Hudson.

You're so very definitive for someone who's so very wrong, r374, but thanks anyway.

by Anonymousreply 382July 20, 2022 5:13 PM

There’s a knowing sense of parody in that Jennifer Holiday Mame clip that says she’s in on the joke.

I’d love to hear her do Everything’s Coming Up Roses.

by Anonymousreply 383July 20, 2022 5:50 PM

Little Me's lyricist was awesome. Carolyn Leigh. Died too young.

by Anonymousreply 384July 20, 2022 6:14 PM

I would love to hear some Carolyn Leigh anecdotes. She was apparently quite difficult.

by Anonymousreply 385July 20, 2022 6:18 PM

"Sometimes you have to believe who people are the first time they show you."

Thank you, Maya.

by Anonymousreply 386July 20, 2022 6:25 PM

Carolyn Leigh infamously told her theater date while watching the original workshop of "Nine",

"If he rhymes 'Be Italian' with 'Eva Le Gallienne', I'm leaving!"

by Anonymousreply 387July 20, 2022 6:27 PM

Vanessa Williams is pretty but very dull onstage.

She did nothing with her role as the Witch in the "Into the Woods" revival to help elevate a pretty lousy production.

by Anonymousreply 388July 20, 2022 6:29 PM

Ben Davis as "The Witch"

by Anonymousreply 389July 20, 2022 6:33 PM

I have enjoyed Vanessa Williams on stage when she has been well cast, as in ST. LOUIS WOMAN at Encores! and currently in POTUS. In other things, including the recent ANYONE CAN WHISTLE, she has made little impression

by Anonymousreply 390July 20, 2022 6:40 PM

There is the fantastic story about Carolyn Leigh during the Philadelphia tryout of Little Me (keeping on theme). Cy Feuer had to cut Leigh's favorite number, "Lafayette, We Are Here!" which ended Act 1, but wasn't working. Leigh was so incensed, she ran out of the theatre, tracked down a cop, came back and ordered him to arrest Feuer for violating her rights under the Dramatists Guild agreement.

by Anonymousreply 391July 20, 2022 6:52 PM

Carolyn Leigh was sort of nuts, apparently. She came up with the idea for "How Now, Dow Jones," which has perhaps the stupidest plot to be found in a golden age musical.

by Anonymousreply 392July 20, 2022 7:00 PM

Belle in "Beauty and the Beast Live" is...H.E.R.

Have to admit, I'm not that familiar with her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 393July 20, 2022 7:07 PM

Has ENCORES done HOW NOW DOW JONES yet?

Can't be any worse than HEY LOOK ME OVER.

by Anonymousreply 394July 20, 2022 7:08 PM

That box office article indicated there’s no date yet for Beanie’s return?

by Anonymousreply 395July 20, 2022 7:12 PM

Apparently Beanie was back last night. This review sounds like it came straight from a DLer:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 396July 20, 2022 7:14 PM

Another confirming she was in last night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397July 20, 2022 7:16 PM

How Now, Dow Jones is dumb and second rate, but I find it a really enjoyable listen. There are a few very really entertaining songs in that cheesy big 1960s musical comedy way. Leigh's lyrics really carry the day.

by Anonymousreply 398July 20, 2022 7:38 PM

I'm really surprised Beanie was back. I figured we'd never see Le Cochon grace those stages again.

by Anonymousreply 399July 20, 2022 7:41 PM

The worst, cheesiest song from a second-rate musical from the 60s towers head and shoulders in craft, humor and humanity over anything new on Broadway stages today.

"Can't be any worse than HEY LOOK ME OVER."

You mean WILDCAT?

Frank Loesser was The Most Heterosexual Fella and to see his masterwork reduced to a bizarre travesty is heartbreaking. So much for realizing an author's intention...

by Anonymousreply 400July 20, 2022 7:51 PM

[quote] The worst, cheesiest song from a second-rate musical from the 60s towers head and shoulders in craft, humor and humanity over anything new on Broadway stages today.

Amen. You can't tell the difference between an 11 o'clock number and a jingle for a feminine hygiene product these days.

by Anonymousreply 401July 20, 2022 7:52 PM

"I iFnd God In Southampton"

by Anonymousreply 402July 20, 2022 7:53 PM

[quote]Belle in "Beauty and the Beast Live" is...H.E.R.

get used to it. From now until the Republicans take over again, every major role is going to a black person. That being said, H.E.R is an excellent artist who is so very wrong for the part.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 403July 20, 2022 7:56 PM

I believe Lapine did MERRILY at the Old Globe in the 80s and his idea was to run it in chronological order. Sondheim heard about it and that's how they met. I think that's correct--a DLer will correct me, tho, if I'm wrong.

I saw Vanessa Williams in ANYONE CAN WHISTLE at Encores and she was terrible. Seemed like she hadn't bothered to really learn it. I'd rather it had been Billy Porter, frankly, and that's saying something.

by Anonymousreply 404July 20, 2022 8:09 PM

I can’t understand the criticism of Jennifer Holliday in Dreamgirls. I saw the show in its original run and will never forget it. She was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 405July 20, 2022 8:13 PM

R404, back to school! Sondheim met Lapine, smoking a joint to discuss collaborating on Sunday in the Park with George. Lapine then worked on the LaJolla Merrily, which was never in chronological order.

by Anonymousreply 406July 20, 2022 8:17 PM

Vanessa Williams seems better on screen than on stage. I've never been very impressed with her on stage. She's competent and beautiful but lacks star quality somehow.

by Anonymousreply 407July 20, 2022 8:17 PM

An account of Sondheim and Lapine meeting (but the book is worth reading).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 408July 20, 2022 8:18 PM

THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA Chicago tryout is getting eviscerated on the BWW chat board. And this is from people who are presumably friends, invited to an invited dress. Lots of hilarious remarks, too numerous to recount here. But do yourself a favor if you need some laughs and schadenfreude.

by Anonymousreply 409July 20, 2022 8:21 PM

The magnificent Magdalena Montezuma...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 410July 20, 2022 8:21 PM

[quote]I can’t understand the criticism of Jennifer Holliday in Dreamgirls.

Are you new to DL? I recently saw Jennifer Holliday's performance in "Dreamgirls" described as "one of the worst performances ever seen on Broadway," or words to that effect, apparently by someone who didn't get to see Suzanne Somers in "The Blonde in the Thunderbird." DL is not only the home of pointless bitchery, but of ludicrous hyperbole.

by Anonymousreply 411July 20, 2022 8:22 PM

Rob McClure out of Little Shop. Covid.

by Anonymousreply 412July 20, 2022 8:28 PM

Excuse me! Suzanne Somers' "Take Back Your Mink/I Didn't Mean To Kill Daddy" was a transformative work.

by Anonymousreply 413July 20, 2022 8:28 PM

[quote] get used to it. From now until the Republicans take over again, every major role is going to a black person.

Imagine, living in a time and country when members of one racial group were given nearly every major role? Unheard of!

by Anonymousreply 414July 20, 2022 8:35 PM

[413] and revelatory. Don’t forget revelatory.

by Anonymousreply 415July 20, 2022 8:37 PM

R404, Sondheim was introduced to Lapine by his boyfriend Andre Bishop, who ran PH.

by Anonymousreply 416July 20, 2022 8:41 PM

Damn, I’m missing Joanna Riding giving her Madam Rose.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 417July 20, 2022 8:42 PM

[quote] Rob McClure out of Little Shop. Covid.

Professionals show up!

I mean, it's not like he has.....tonsillitis......

by Anonymousreply 418July 20, 2022 8:46 PM

A friend saw PRADA and texted, “Well I used to love Beth Leavel”…he hated it.

by Anonymousreply 419July 20, 2022 8:49 PM

Would Prada be any better if Rudnick had stayed to write the book?

by Anonymousreply 420July 20, 2022 8:50 PM

Would Prada be any better if Hannah Waddingham replaces Beth Leavel?

by Anonymousreply 421July 20, 2022 9:03 PM

Creel missed last night and today's matinee. Wonder if it's another Covid case (though if it had to happen, he'd probably be glad to get it out of the way now before his hiatus to work on his own show).

by Anonymousreply 422July 20, 2022 9:05 PM

[quote]You mean WILDCAT?

No, R400. I mean "Hey Look Me Over," which was a musical revue at ENCORES featuring songs and brief scenes from a dozen different shows. ENCORES never did "Wildcat" as far as I know. They should have.

HLMO remans one of the worst things I've ever seen at ENCORES.

by Anonymousreply 423July 20, 2022 9:06 PM

PS: the opening scene/song was from "Wildcat," of course.

by Anonymousreply 424July 20, 2022 9:07 PM

[quote] Mr. Lapine is one of the Island’s most unassuming celebrities

Hmmm

by Anonymousreply 425July 20, 2022 9:11 PM

[quote] HLMO remans one of the worst things I've ever seen at ENCORES

You clearly didn’t see The Life, Kismet, Dubarry Was a Lady, 70 Girls 70…

by Anonymousreply 426July 20, 2022 9:14 PM

Wasn't it Donna Murphy in ANYONE CAN WHISTLE at Encores?

by Anonymousreply 427July 20, 2022 9:42 PM

R427 yes. Vanessa Williams did it at a recent and poorly reviewed concert production at Carnegie Hall.

by Anonymousreply 428July 20, 2022 9:44 PM

HEY LOOK ME OVER was a very mixed bag. Some of it was dreadful, but there were great moments, particularly the MACK AND MABEL stuff, whcih led to the full show being done the year after. Vanessa did a couple of songs from JAMAICA, which was a real snooze. Lena Horne, she is not.

by Anonymousreply 429July 20, 2022 9:47 PM

Lena

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 430July 20, 2022 9:52 PM

[quote]Imagine, living in a time and country when members of one racial group were given nearly every major role? Unheard of!

Damn those Jews getting every role on Broadway!

by Anonymousreply 431July 20, 2022 10:03 PM

Thanks for all the corrections! I could have sworn someone tried MERRILY in chronological order, but apparently not. Would require too much re-jiggering.

by Anonymousreply 432July 20, 2022 10:10 PM

Someone said Patina Miller was out yesterday and now Gavin? Uh oh.

Also aren’t they recording the album? Surely they won’t the permanent recording to be Covid voices?

by Anonymousreply 433July 20, 2022 10:15 PM

Lucy was going to play The Witch, but Gary talked her out of it.

by Anonymousreply 434July 20, 2022 10:32 PM

"70, Girls, 70" at least had DL fave Anital Gillette (whose "The Secret Service" is very apt nowadays more than ever) in a support role; she should have played the lead, rather than Olympia Dukakis who couldn't really sing, and whose nose was in her book for every single "Boom Diity Boom".

by Anonymousreply 435July 20, 2022 10:35 PM

R431 Not really. I seem to recall Rodgers & Hammerstein I believe saying they had a lot of Jewish people writing Broadway musicals for an audience made up by a lot of Jewish people but they couldn't really cast Jewish people.

by Anonymousreply 436July 20, 2022 10:37 PM

R427, yes, it was, but she lip-synched to Meryl Streep's vocals.

by Anonymousreply 437July 20, 2022 10:45 PM

It bears repeating that Sondheim greatly admired Leigh. 10 percent of the 50 songs he wishes he had written have lyrics by her: When in Rome, The Best Is Yet to Come, The Other Side of the Tracks, Real Live Girl, Rules of the Road. That's a hefty amount.

Some of her best were not written for shows: You Fascinate Me So, I Walk a Little Faster, Witchcraft, It Amazes Me, and three of the songs listed above. And let's not forget her Peter Pan contributions: I'm Flying, I Gotta Crow, I Won't Grow up.

Superb lyricist, difficult woman, by all accounts. Wish someone would write her bio.

by Anonymousreply 438July 20, 2022 10:46 PM

Lapine's book is pretty terrific. Very readable, a little dishy. They became quite devoted to each other.

by Anonymousreply 439July 20, 2022 10:55 PM

Wasn't Vanessa Williams in Kiss of the Spider Woman supposed to be some kind of revelatory performance? Terrence McNally declared her his favorite interpretation of the role, writing overly effusive liner notes about her for the cast recording, and the NYT said she was sexier than Chita.

by Anonymousreply 440July 20, 2022 10:55 PM

James Lapine, or Jim as he called himself back in the 1970s, was a very hot young bisexual and never the bf of perennially fat slob Andre Bishop. I'm sure Steve was easily seduced, with or without pot.

by Anonymousreply 441July 20, 2022 10:58 PM

[quote]Wasn't Vanessa Williams in Kiss of the Spider Woman supposed to be some kind of revelatory performance?

No.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 442July 20, 2022 11:00 PM

Have yet to see a hot photo of Lapine.

by Anonymousreply 443July 20, 2022 11:01 PM

Someone did try Merrily in chronological order, r342, but I think it was somewhere in the metropolitan area--a university or a community theater. Sondheim stopped it very quickly.

And both Sondheim and Lapine credit Lewis Allen with introducing them--not Bishop.

by Anonymousreply 444July 20, 2022 11:08 PM

"No, [R400]. I mean "Hey Look Me Over," which was a musical revue at ENCORES featuring songs and brief scenes from a dozen different shows'

And what does that have to do with the conversation, which was about Carolyn Leigh and HOW NOW DOW JONES? Nothing.

"When in Rome, The Best Is Yet to Come, The Other Side of the Tracks, Real Live Girl, Rules of the Road....You Fascinate Me So, I Walk a Little Faster, Witchcraft, It Amazes Me"

And all composed by my man Cy Coleman.

by Anonymousreply 445July 20, 2022 11:19 PM

I believe that poster referred to Encores doing it and that it couldn't be worse than their Hey Look Me Over.

So yes, it had to do with the conversation.

by Anonymousreply 446July 20, 2022 11:45 PM

^for r445...aka Miss Snippy

by Anonymousreply 447July 20, 2022 11:48 PM

I didn't see Encores' Hey, look Me Over! but I did see Encores' Mack & Mabel. I was very disappointed, having seen the original production in LA where it tried out before reaching Broadway with some, supposedly, ill-advised changes.

Was the M&M section of Hey...! good? Were Douglas Sills and Alexandra Socha in the first version? I thought both were miscast in the full production. Though, I usually like both of them so maybe they were badly directed.

by Anonymousreply 448July 20, 2022 11:55 PM

Sexier than Chita? Not possible.

by Anonymousreply 449July 20, 2022 11:58 PM

I think the London “Merrily” is about as good as it’s going to get.

by Anonymousreply 450July 21, 2022 12:04 AM

M&M

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 451July 21, 2022 12:11 AM

R433, they recorded the album Monday.

Also, Sara Bareilles is out tonight. Posted in her Instagram stories she wasn't feeling well this morning, pushed through with the matinee, and it wiped her out. So far it's not Covid.

by Anonymousreply 452July 21, 2022 12:14 AM

The Jacksons put a curse on that production, didn't they?

by Anonymousreply 453July 21, 2022 12:15 AM

Now THIS is how you do a non-binary "1776!" Take that, Diane Paulus!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 454July 21, 2022 12:18 AM

[quote]surely if the Radcliffe revival is a success, that would only lend support to the idea that a MERRILY film is a good idea.

Didn't work for Ben Platt.

by Anonymousreply 455July 21, 2022 12:34 AM

Vanessa Williams was a beautiful blank in Spider Woman. Looked great, sang well enough. But no edge or menace. The sort of creepy energy Chita had in the role went missing.

by Anonymousreply 456July 21, 2022 12:40 AM

I, for one, would NOT want to see Jennifer Aniston as the Witch in ITW.

by Anonymousreply 457July 21, 2022 12:44 AM

Anyone who knows Dreamgirls knows Jennifer Holliday couldn’t act and Michael Bennett had to give her line readings.

No one…can see her…on record.

by Anonymousreply 458July 21, 2022 12:47 AM

Is Beanie in tonight as well? 2 nights in a row?... good for her

by Anonymousreply 459July 21, 2022 12:55 AM

ITW cover Jason Forbach has so far played the Baker and both princes.

by Anonymousreply 460July 21, 2022 12:57 AM

That gal's a trouper, r459!

by Anonymousreply 461July 21, 2022 1:12 AM

THIS DAY IN BROADWAY HISTORY: In 1987, Charles Busch's "Psycho Beach Party" opened Off-Broadway at the Players Theatre.

by Anonymousreply 462July 21, 2022 1:31 AM

When Into the Woods' Lead Actor Was Out on Opening Night, It Was an Understudy's Time to Shine:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 463July 21, 2022 1:33 AM

Maria Friedman, who is directing the Daniel Radcliffe MERRILY here also directed the London MERRILY. You all know that right? The London production was on youtube...not sure if it's still there. I thought Act I was fabulous. Act II, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 464July 21, 2022 1:34 AM

I loved PSCHYCHO BEACH PARTY! By far, my favorite Charles Busch play and the original off-Broadway production was perfection.

by Anonymousreply 465July 21, 2022 1:35 AM

[quote]How Now, Dow Jones is dumb and second rate, but I find it a really enjoyable listen. There are a few very really entertaining songs in that cheesy big 1960s musical comedy way. Leigh's lyrics really carry the day.

I really don't know the show but I was listening to the album recently and it's great fun, with lots of wonderfully witty lyrics by Leigh and very enjoyable music by Elmer Bernstein. And I don't think the idea for the show is inherently any more unusual than the idea for HOW TO SUCCEED, which of course was a big hit.

I saw the cinema version of Maria Friedman's MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG. It was one of those odd cases where the production was third-rate at best but people thought it was a lot better than that because they were responding to the great things about the show, i.e. the writing of almost all of the songs and some of the scenes, so they didn't notice how problematic the production was in terms of the sets (or rather the set), the direction, some of the casting, etc.

by Anonymousreply 466July 21, 2022 1:39 AM

Lapine and Bishop were most definitely an item. And partly explains why Bishop hired him to direct way too many LCT productions.

by Anonymousreply 467July 21, 2022 1:40 AM

Act 2 of Merrily gets bogged down by that stupid cabaret act. I get that it shadows a real first timer show, but it’s stupid as all hell and that late in the show, audiences are expecting a bit more.

by Anonymousreply 468July 21, 2022 1:41 AM

Jennifer Holliday as Mame!!

by Anonymousreply 469July 21, 2022 1:44 AM

I saw How Now, Dow Jones in its Boston tryout when I was a college student. Don't really remember a thing about it except for that earworm of a song called "Will Everyone Here Kindly Step to the Rear" which they reprised ad nauseum. And there was an annoying chorus of little old ladies who invested in the stock market. I'm blanking on whether Madeleine Kahn or Brenda Vaccaro was in it with Tony Roberts and Marlyn Mason (who?).

by Anonymousreply 470July 21, 2022 1:46 AM

I recently saw Maria Friedman's cabaret style show at The Menier (before it closed for renovations) and while she was quite a charming performer, I could imagine she'd be the kind of director who'd fall in love with her actors and let them run riot over everything.

by Anonymousreply 471July 21, 2022 1:48 AM

Would Prada be any better if Beanie replaced Beth Levelle?

by Anonymousreply 472July 21, 2022 1:50 AM

I want Glenn Close to bring Prada to Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 473July 21, 2022 1:54 AM

Beanie could play the Prada handbag.

by Anonymousreply 474July 21, 2022 1:54 AM

"The sort of creepy energy Chita had in the role went missing."

It wasn't just this role, Chita brings creepy energy to everything she does. I love her but she has a very weird talent of turning any role into a villain.

by Anonymousreply 475July 21, 2022 1:57 AM

[quote]Act 2 of Merrily gets bogged down by that stupid cabaret act. I get that it shadows a real first timer show, but it’s stupid as all hell and that late in the show, audiences are expecting a bit more.

Really? I think that sequence is one of the best parts of the show.

by Anonymousreply 476July 21, 2022 2:18 AM

[475] especially as Rosie in Bye Bye Birdie

by Anonymousreply 477July 21, 2022 2:21 AM

hee-hee

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 478July 21, 2022 2:25 AM

Tony Roberts is much cuter than I ever remember him in that clip at r478.

Very clever how they costumed the "old ladies" who came in in the second wave in sack dresses and flowery hats that could be whipped off for them to be sexy chorines for the finale.

by Anonymousreply 479July 21, 2022 2:33 AM

Tony Roberts is hung big.

by Anonymousreply 480July 21, 2022 2:35 AM

I couldn’t stand Friedman’s choice to have a little boy play Franklin Shepard’s son who would appear at various points, adding nothing to the story.

by Anonymousreply 481July 21, 2022 2:44 AM

It was Brenda Vaccaro in HOW NOW. I saw her at an event recently and told her how much I enjoyed her in the show when I was in college. She seemed very pleased, then ordered a martini with eight olives. Dinner, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 482July 21, 2022 3:10 AM

Brenda...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 483July 21, 2022 3:14 AM

r480 care to elaborate?

by Anonymousreply 484July 21, 2022 4:32 AM

R470, That song was also used in a popular car commercial back in the 1960s.

by Anonymousreply 485July 21, 2022 4:42 AM

Yeesh, “Step to the Rear” is smellier than Beanie’s pussy.

by Anonymousreply 486July 21, 2022 5:11 AM

Beanie could play the Prada body bag.

by Anonymousreply 487July 21, 2022 6:47 AM

Kiss of The Spiderwoman wasn’t really a hit until Vanessa Williams took over from Chita.

by Anonymousreply 488July 21, 2022 6:50 AM

The La Jolla Merrily was the one with all the facial hair pieces, wasn’t it? Or was that Lonny Price’s big idea?

by Anonymousreply 489July 21, 2022 6:52 AM

If the London Merrily is as good as it gets, they should stop doing Merrily. The reason why it doesn’t work is because the characters are thin and unlikeable, especially Franklin Shepard. And as the show regresses they don’t become any more complex or familiar or sympathetic. It’s just boring and confusing.

Listen to the lyrics. Ultimately the show is criticising lifestyles, it’s not about characters but generations. The cast album is enjoyable because it puts the attention on by far the best component of the show - the score. It fails in all other aspects, especially the book and the possible staging of that score. It should only be done as a concert.

Radcliffe’s casting could greatly improve things because he is known and someone people actually feel they grew up with. Could make it more successful but it’s not going to be great. Maybe they should only cast child stars in Merrily. Maybe that’s the ticket. It’s not going to completely transform the show though. It’ll be the difference between Carrie on Broadway and the off Broadway revival two decades later.

by Anonymousreply 490July 21, 2022 7:02 AM

^^ Also for his casting to make much difference, he’d have to be playing Frank not Charley. It will be the same head-scratching oddity that Merrily always is.

by Anonymousreply 491July 21, 2022 7:04 AM

I haven't read a DL THEATRE GOSSIP thread in a couple years (I needed a break).

Damn, how it always comes around to FOLLIES!

Still!

by Anonymousreply 492July 21, 2022 8:46 AM

Brenda Vacarro was "talk singing", not real singing.

by Anonymousreply 493July 21, 2022 9:11 AM

R465, I'm with you... "Psycho Beach Party" is a delightful show (friends and I used to call it Sybil by the Seashore). One aspect I loved when first reading it (and thinking it could be great fun to produce for community theatre) was that Busch explained that the female roles did not have to be played by men for the show to work. He was so right - what was needed was to have the actors perform each part sincerely... the actors/characters were not outrageous, the situations and dialogue Busch created were outrageous. Playing those scenes "straight" is what created the humor.

Chicklet (as Ann Bowman) to Kanaka: "I thought you were a man with a big cigar, what are you packing, a Tiparillo?"

by Anonymousreply 494July 21, 2022 9:26 AM

When I was a young gayling listening to cast albums, I always wanted to play the “any milk today mistress” woman in Oliver. I made up an entire backstory for her. I also wanted to play the “more public spending” woman in Evita. Even though I was a boy, the women seemed to have better chorus parts than the men.

by Anonymousreply 495July 21, 2022 10:37 AM

R495, what an odd little boy you were.

by Anonymousreply 496July 21, 2022 11:18 AM

Kiss of the Spiderwoman is not a good musical.

by Anonymousreply 497July 21, 2022 11:18 AM

so is the Sweeney revival people have mentioned here a reality? Is it from somewhere else or a new production? Is there a director or a 'concept?' Is it black and trans?

by Anonymousreply 498July 21, 2022 11:23 AM

"Kiss of the Spiderwoman is not a good musical"

It is an eternal DL truth applicable to all musicals that "_________________ is not a good musical."

We would have also accepted "The songs from ______________ are great on their own, but the book is a problem and makes the whole thing not worth seeing."

by Anonymousreply 499July 21, 2022 11:33 AM

And the perennial favorite "_______________ gave the worst Broadway performance ever."

by Anonymousreply 500July 21, 2022 11:34 AM

r498 Thomas Kail is apparently directing. Josh Groban and Annaleigh Ashford is the rumour

by Anonymousreply 501July 21, 2022 11:34 AM

Thanks r501. Pass.

by Anonymousreply 502July 21, 2022 11:36 AM

I saw Kiss of the Spider Woman. It was Chita’s show. When she was on stage, it was great. But there were parts that were really bad.

But it wasn’t anywhere near as bad as Steel Pier and Side Show.

by Anonymousreply 503July 21, 2022 11:40 AM

I love musicals where someone poops in a bucket

by Anonymousreply 504July 21, 2022 11:43 AM

Then you'll love Annie, especially 'It's The Hard Log Life'

by Anonymousreply 505July 21, 2022 11:46 AM

Vanessa Williams brought in a new audience that wanted to see her and had no interest in the story about the two men.

by Anonymousreply 506July 21, 2022 12:04 PM

The "Morphine Tango" is one of the worst numbers I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 507July 21, 2022 12:07 PM

The Kiss of the Spider Woman was a blob of a show politically, never specific about what exact kind of fascist military rule the country it’s set in is under. “The Day After That” is a very weak anti-fascist anthem. Cabaret and Evita are set in very specific places at very specific times in history.

by Anonymousreply 508July 21, 2022 12:18 PM

[quote] Vanessa Williams brought in a new audience that wanted to see her and had no interest in the story about the two men.

And that audience reacted just as you might expect and fear when the relationship between the two men turns sexual.

by Anonymousreply 509July 21, 2022 12:27 PM

And once again, the clowns in charge of the Kennedy Center Honors snub Liza!! But GEORGE CLOONEY gets one?!?!?!

by Anonymousreply 510July 21, 2022 1:37 PM

(r510) Not trying to be a jerk, but why would Liza get one? Beyond "Cabaret", what films did she make that would be considered ageless? Sadly, despite her talent, many people think of her as irresponsible, unprofessional, "Judy Garland's daughter" or wonder whether she is still alive. The travails of her personal life have, unfortunately, overshadowed her professional life. Although I am not a fan of Clooney, he has been an actor, director, producer, philanthropist and has lived a public life mostly free from scandal. He continues to be in-demand.

by Anonymousreply 511July 21, 2022 1:45 PM

Liza was also a terrific concert artist; she had among other things, her own sensational Carnegie Hall concerts. Plus she won Tony and Emmy awards as well as her Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 512July 21, 2022 1:48 PM

Ok about Clooney....but Amy Grant????

by Anonymousreply 513July 21, 2022 1:54 PM

(r512) She did, indeed. However, in the more recent decades, especially since her last wedding, she is an afterthought to a great many people and no longer relevant. Those who make the decisions, have very short memories.

Even Carol Channing was never honored and there are reasons she should have been. She had a successful career that began in the 1940's and continued beyond 2000. She was known for being a pro, who never missed a performance, and she is forever associated with "Dolly" and "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes". While her eccentricity didn't play well with everyone, people knew who she was because she was very distinctive. Some generations knew her from Broadway, some from television variety shows or her own specials. However, when the suggestion was placed to the Kennedy Center for consideration, they dismissed it without even reviewing her career. So it's not really a surprise that Liza didn't make the cut and probably never will.

by Anonymousreply 514July 21, 2022 1:55 PM

Amy Grant!?!? Lord have mercy. Why not Juice Newton? Gallagher? Shelley Hack?

by Anonymousreply 515July 21, 2022 1:58 PM

Honorees. No one from Broadway, so theater queens can watch something else:

It’s going to be a “Beautiful Day” for the band U2 and four other artists when they receive this year’s Kennedy Center Honors in December.

The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts announced Thursday that the Irish rock band along with actor George Clooney, singers Gladys Knight and Amy Grant and composer Tania León are being honored this year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 516July 21, 2022 1:59 PM

[quote]Amy Grant!?!? Lord have mercy. Why not Juice Newton? Gallagher? Shelley Hack?

“We’ve had gospel before. We’ve had plenty of R&B and soul. ... We’ve had country music, but we haven’t necessarily had Amy Grant and Christian pop in the same way,” she said, comparing Grant’s inclusion to the center’s honoring of LL Cool J in 2017, the first time the honorees included a hip-hop artist.

by Anonymousreply 517July 21, 2022 2:00 PM

I could not imagine Sondheim allowing anyone to do Merrily in the right chronological order, because doing that just makes it the story of Frank, Charley and Mary and that is not what he wants to write about. What it IS about is how people so often become something so different from what they set out to be. It's an impetus in Follies too, but he wasn't examining it there, he was examining the various manifestations of regret.

The problems, for me, are that (a) because Frank never so much as dates Mary, there is nothing at stake between them. Any conflict is confined to her head, and it's all too abstract for the audience of a musical. It's like a repeat of Sally/Ben except that they DID have a fling, and even so we are meant to see Sally as pretty deluded; and (b) Frank seems to me to be a narcissist who is open to ALL possibilities in the rooftop scene, and is just going along with Charley's ideals because it seems like a good idea at the time. If he's open to anything, then he can't end up somewhere different from where he thought he'd be. Again, there's nothing at stake in his 'journey'. But he's the most talented of the three, so if he really did start out wanting to be Sondheim and ended up Andrew Lloyd-Webber, the interesting question is why? Does he know/discover he's less talented than the others think? Did he fight for his artistic integrity at any point in the face of money and fame? If not, why do we care about him? Finally, the other two are derailed solely by their emotional dependence on Frank, about whom we're deciding quite early we don't have grounds to care, so in the end they both appear to be nothing more than suckers who didn't take control of their own lives when he failed them.

In short, Frank needs to stand for something at the start so he can lose or sacrifice it. Probably HE needs to be the one to convince a reluctant Charley that they're going to change the face of musical theatre. And he needs to date Mary early, dump her for Beth and come back to her between wives, so that it is clear he does understand how deep her feelings are but abandons her anyway -- and we need to know why he does. (And does Charley know about the second affair, or do they both keep it secret?) Mary's career obstacles need to be spelt out so that she has a public as well as a private life like both the men.

by Anonymousreply 518July 21, 2022 2:11 PM

Liza doesn’t deserve one but Debbie Allen does? I love Debbie Allen but c’mon.

by Anonymousreply 519July 21, 2022 2:12 PM

Ungrateful Cunts all around!

by Anonymousreply 520July 21, 2022 2:25 PM

[quote] he does understand how deep her feelings are but abandons her anyway -- and we need to know why he does

I am available for brainstorming sessions!

by Anonymousreply 521July 21, 2022 2:28 PM

The Kennedy Center Honors lost all credibility when they honored LL Cool J. And it has nothing to do with hip hop. If you want to honor a pioneer of hip hop or rap, there are about three dozen other names I could think of who deserved the honor over a minor artist like LL Cool J. When they gave him an award, they all but admitted they were out of ideas.

by Anonymousreply 522July 21, 2022 2:31 PM

R522 The Kennedy Center Honors airs on CBS. LL Cool J stars in one of their shows, hence the award

by Anonymousreply 523July 21, 2022 2:38 PM

The wrong kind of drama at Chi's Victory Gardens continues

[quote] the theatre faces criticism from artists and staff who have come forward in recent weeks to call out a lack of transparency and high-handed, top-down decision-making;

Isn't leadership [italic] supposed [/italic] to make decisions?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 524July 21, 2022 3:04 PM

LL Cool J was a joke of a winner. Amy Grant and George Clooney are the next jokes.

by Anonymousreply 525July 21, 2022 3:35 PM

Interesting comments r518.

Does the musical ever actually tell the audience *why* it’s called Merrily We Roll Along? Because it doesn’t always appear that they are merrily?

by Anonymousreply 526July 21, 2022 3:43 PM

Anyone else see BETWEEN THE LINES?

Lavishly produced (by Daryl Roth). Some decent performances, including veteran Vicki Lewis. Cute boys. Based on a hit young adult novel and geared towards younger audiences.

It's all a bit dull. And long. I was hoping for at least some pop energy in the score, but it's all pretty generic. I know they're hoping for bigger things (a Bway transfer?) but I don't see it happening.

by Anonymousreply 527July 21, 2022 3:44 PM

Are people aware that MWRA is actually the title of the failed play the musical was based on?

George Furth and Sondheim didn't "decide" to tell the story backwards in time: they merely adapted what Kaufman and Hart wrote.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 528July 21, 2022 3:47 PM

MERRILY doesn't work (never for me at least) because the book sucks. It lacks wit, substance . . . weight. A great score cannot save a substandard book (FOLLIES for me just gets by). Furth was not up the task and Sondheim, bless him, was too loyal to admit it.

by Anonymousreply 529July 21, 2022 3:47 PM

^up to the task

by Anonymousreply 530July 21, 2022 3:48 PM

KCH went downhill, sharply, a few years ago - both the selections and the show itself.

Not that they haven't had any deserving selections but the show has been mostly terrible for at least the last 5 years.

Nothing will ever scale to the heights of this tribute. Nothing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 531July 21, 2022 3:50 PM

The other thing about Merrily that makes no sense is the assumption that Frank having a career in Hollywood is selling out his childhood dreams.

Mary and Charlie (especially Charlie) try to keep him from realizing his dreams because they don’t line up with their desires. They are the villains of the show.

by Anonymousreply 532July 21, 2022 3:58 PM

After Clooney’s documentary about Jim Jordan airs in September on HBO we will want to give Clooney every award imaginable.

by Anonymousreply 533July 21, 2022 4:00 PM

I mostly agree with R529.

I love Sondheim's work. But as far as great books for his musicals (excluding WSS & GYPSY), how many are there, really?

A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC

SWEENEY TODD

A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM

I would add INTO THE WOODS, but I understand some people's problems with Act 2.

I would not add SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE (although it's one of my favorite scores). Same with COMPANY and FOLLIES.

by Anonymousreply 534July 21, 2022 4:11 PM

Did I hear someone mention Shelley Hack?

by Anonymousreply 535July 21, 2022 4:12 PM

[quote] Where is the Shelley Hack troll?

Hanging out on the soap threads with the Shannon Tweed troll, perhaps.

by Anonymousreply 536July 21, 2022 4:15 PM

I never miss a Shelley Hack musical.

by Anonymousreply 537July 21, 2022 4:17 PM

There are still soap threads?

by Anonymousreply 538July 21, 2022 4:26 PM

I think Liza is one of the greatest entertainers of the 20th century and absolutely deserves the Kennedy Center Honors, which are a joke, as Frank Rich wrote about years ago. It's a TV production, nothing more, nothing less. And a bunch of D.C. politicians getting to hobnob with Hollywood folks.

That said, I do think Bernadette Peters deserves one. But her career probably isn't quite big enough.

And they do seem to be moving away from Broadway, folks.

by Anonymousreply 539July 21, 2022 4:40 PM

R538 Mostly about old ones. Much like the Great White Way, it's always better in our memories than the current offerings and scores!

by Anonymousreply 540July 21, 2022 4:45 PM

Liza's shutout from the KCH is a mystery. She certainly has the accomplishments to be recognized. I can only figure one of two things: (1) Her career downtown/lapses into deep drug use and a more "tabloid" notability for some of the 80s etc. tarnished her image with the KCH board, or (2) she really pissed off someone (up to and including Caroline Kennedy) who has blocked her entry.

Bernie should have it, for sure.

by Anonymousreply 541July 21, 2022 4:48 PM

Bernie, not Beanie! (((shudders)))

by Anonymousreply 542July 21, 2022 4:49 PM

I was there, r541, when Liza hit Caroline in the head with a fondue pot.

by Anonymousreply 543July 21, 2022 4:51 PM

If Bernadette gets a KCH, then so do I.

by Anonymousreply 544July 21, 2022 4:54 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 545July 21, 2022 4:58 PM

[quote]Frank needs to stand for something at the start so he can lose or sacrifice it. Probably HE needs to be the one to convince a reluctant Charley that they're going to change the face of musical theatre. And he needs to date Mary early, dump her for Beth and come back to her between wives, so that it is clear he does understand how deep her feelings are but abandons her anyway -- and we need to know why he does.

I agree with your second point about Frank and Mary, but as for the other stuff, don't you feel that Frank does all that in "Our Time?" He sings the lead in that song, and he sings to Charley "There's so much stuff to sing, and you and me, we'll be singing it like the birds -- me with music and you, the words. Tell 'em things they don't know." Isn't that pretty much what you're asking for?

by Anonymousreply 546July 21, 2022 4:58 PM

I would say Liza, Bernadette and Patti all deserve a KCH before Amy fucking Grant

by Anonymousreply 547July 21, 2022 4:59 PM

SING STREET is Bway bound, after all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 548July 21, 2022 5:00 PM

So ITW, MERRILY, and SWEENEY in the same Broadway season?

by Anonymousreply 549July 21, 2022 5:21 PM

God, Sing Street was just awful. And I loved the movie.

by Anonymousreply 550July 21, 2022 5:25 PM

Sondheim's main problem has always been that his music and lyrics are usually much deeper than anything the playwright thinks up. When the characters are singing, everything's great, but the moment the dialogue resumes, it takes a dive. The books listed at R534 are the best ones he's had to work with and I'd say those are some of his best shows because of it. Somehow, Company and Follies transcend their less than great books and become more of an experience than a traditional Broadway show, but I don't think Merrily, Passion, Anyone Can Whistle, or Road Show do that. And even with Company and Follies, I've usually walked out of productions of those shows focusing on certain performances, scenes, lines of dialogue, or songs instead of the show as a whole like I do when I see Gypsy, Sweeney Todd or A Little Night Music where everything is so well thought out and wonderful.

Assassins is under appreciated I think. It's not the deepest of his shows and many of the assassins aren't very well developed (poor Hinkley gets that one great song and about two lines throughout the rest of the show), but it's an interesting concept and, once again, Sondheim's songs give the piece a lot more meaning than what's in the book.

To me, it seems that there's one thing every musical flop has in common - a crappy or mediocre book. The best musicals usually have strong books as well as strong scores.

by Anonymousreply 551July 21, 2022 5:36 PM

Well said R551

by Anonymousreply 552July 21, 2022 5:38 PM

Someone in the last thread was wondering why the Atlantic Theater Company hadn't announced their season. Here it is:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 553July 21, 2022 5:40 PM

Merrily isn’t near as bad as that crappy Passion.

by Anonymousreply 554July 21, 2022 5:42 PM

It's pretty hard to be crappier than Passion and I love Sondheim. Even for me, that show is a major dud. I have no idea what he and Lapine were going for there. The idea that a handsome man falls in love with an unattractive woman is one thing, but for her to have such a repulsive and pathetic personality takes it into the realm of sci-fi.

by Anonymousreply 555July 21, 2022 5:44 PM

What do we want? A revival of Passion with Billy Porter as Fosca.

by Anonymousreply 556July 21, 2022 5:47 PM

Yeah, Merrily really needs another subplot with Frank and Mary going at it.

In the rooftop scenes, Frank says to/about Mary; “I just met the girl I ought to marry.” In a halfway decent production, that moment is crushing because you know that Frank never followed his gut. Which is why he made everyone’s lives into a mess.

The point of the show is that we don’t make a sudden decision to compromise. It’s a lot of little distractions and blips, and then we end up somewhere we never wanted to be. Allowing the audience to fill in the gaps allows them to use their own lives. But if you need every step of this plotted out, Merrily is really not the show for you,

by Anonymousreply 557July 21, 2022 5:49 PM

Sondheim should have set Irréversible to music. Put Patti in the lead and have her raped to music for ten minutes. It would have been SRO.

by Anonymousreply 558July 21, 2022 6:03 PM

[quote]Put Patti in the lead and have her raped to music for ten minutes

No one would have understood her cries for help.

by Anonymousreply 559July 21, 2022 6:05 PM

The reason you can't reverse the order of Merrily is Sondheim's complicated musical structure. Thematically and melodically the score develops in a precise fashion. If you ripped that apart by putting the songs in a different order, the structure would disappear and you'd just have a series of nice songs. It's bad enough stripping out the bookends where the structure begins and is underpinned. Again, the underlying musical structure is quite complex and it is the score as a whole that is the thing, not the individual pieces.

I probably didn't phrase this right.

by Anonymousreply 560July 21, 2022 6:06 PM

[quote]But if you need every step of this plotted out, Merrily is really not the show for you,

Nor for the theater-going audiences, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 561July 21, 2022 6:07 PM

[quote] In the rooftop scenes, Frank says to/about Mary; “I just met the girl I ought to marry.” In a halfway decent production, that moment is crushing because you know that Frank never followed his gut. Which is why he made everyone’s lives into a mess.

I think that moment is crushing more because it is probably the reason why Mary will go on to pine for Frank for the next 25 years. There are things that people say to you that can change the course of your life, for better or for worse. I think that is one of the things that rings true about the material.

by Anonymousreply 562July 21, 2022 6:08 PM

[quote]Amy Grant and George Clooney are the next jokes.

Horseshit. I know nothing about Amy Grant but besides being a major humanitarian, Clooney has been nominated for six Oscars for acting, writing, directing and producing. He has won two, get over yourself.

by Anonymousreply 563July 21, 2022 6:11 PM

Amy Grant....that IS a fucking joke

by Anonymousreply 564July 21, 2022 6:13 PM

I saw the SF production of FOLLIES last night. This was the 17th production I've seen (by my count) since attending the pre-Broadway run of the original production in Boston. (Yes, I'm old). I didn't expect much, especially based on some of the info and pictures shared in this thread, but I must say that on several levels, I was pleasantly surprised. I'll write a detailed review later, but now I have to catch a flight 3000 miles back to my home. (Yes, I'm old, gay, and a theater queen).

by Anonymousreply 565July 21, 2022 6:16 PM

^Yes, R565!

Please share thoughts on the next TG thread.

by Anonymousreply 566July 21, 2022 6:17 PM

[quote]poor Hinkley gets that one great song and about two lines throughout the rest of the show

Perhaps if he had better aim.

by Anonymousreply 567July 21, 2022 6:25 PM

r565- My friend who saw it hasn't come back yet, Billy Boy, so I haven't gotten a full rundown from her. She *did* say that there were some effective parts and thought the young couples were good.

by Anonymousreply 568July 21, 2022 6:40 PM

BAD scripts, BAD directors!

by Anonymousreply 569July 21, 2022 7:21 PM

The only thing the Lord frowns on more than divorce, Amy, is a fat husband.

by Anonymousreply 570July 21, 2022 7:27 PM

I don't think there's much question that Liza deserved a Kennedy Center Honor. The problem is that the Kennedy Center waited too long. She should have gotten one years ago. Part of the deal with the Kennedy Center Honors is that recipients are required to be present, not just for the awards show but for a couple of related events, including a White House reception. People who are surprised that Liza was overlooked yet again this year need only recall her appearance at this year's Academy Awards. Clearly, she would not have been physically up to attending. The awards are never presented in absentia. It's sad, but the Kennedy Center missed its chance.

by Anonymousreply 571July 21, 2022 7:57 PM

[quote]The awards are never presented in absentia

Wrong, r571...

by Anonymousreply 572July 21, 2022 8:12 PM

God Bless Old Gay Theater Queens everywhere!

by Anonymousreply 573July 21, 2022 8:14 PM

Billy Boy, please tell me you didn't travel all the way to San Francisco just to take in that production of Follies?!

by Anonymousreply 574July 21, 2022 8:19 PM

(r572) Irene Dunne came to Washington and participated in the ceremony at the White House. However, she became ill before the evening event at the Kennedy center and was flown back to Los Angeles.

by Anonymousreply 575July 21, 2022 8:20 PM

Irene Dunne at the White House received her honor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 576July 21, 2022 8:23 PM

[quote] Clearly, she would not have been physically up to attending.

Except she showed up to the Oscars...and a number of other events we have video from this year.

by Anonymousreply 577July 21, 2022 8:34 PM

Patti and Bernadette should definitely have gotten the honor by now, certainly over Amy Grant and George Clooney

by Anonymousreply 578July 21, 2022 8:35 PM

The biggest problem with Passion is it isn't about passion; it's about mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 579July 21, 2022 8:36 PM

[quote]Except she showed up to the Oscars

And was in terrific shape!

by Anonymousreply 580July 21, 2022 8:36 PM

Yeah what’s the deal with Bernadette Peters? I know everyone tolerates LuPone because of her talent, but they don’t like her-by all accounts everyone loves Bernadette.

What’s the deal?

They gave one to Chita back in 2002, so they do do people from Broadway that didn’t do much film. Even Bernadette has won a Golden Globe award for film work.

by Anonymousreply 581July 21, 2022 8:40 PM

[quote] And was in terrific shape!

She just has to be able to sit through the awards ceremony, which she seemingly can do.

by Anonymousreply 582July 21, 2022 8:42 PM

[quote] And was in terrific shape!

Even more reason to give it to her NOW

by Anonymousreply 583July 21, 2022 8:43 PM

Betty White never got a Kennedy Center Honor and she was a pioneer for women in television. Bernadette and Patti are lesser known celebrities, except in NY theater circles.

by Anonymousreply 584July 21, 2022 8:52 PM

Doris Day never received one either, but was, according to then producer, George Stevens, Jr., offered it twice but declined. Beyond a stellar movie and singing career, she was an animal welfare advocate for more than fifty years, receiving a Medal of Freedom for her work. However, the requirement to appear in-person, made her decline the offer both times.

by Anonymousreply 585July 21, 2022 8:58 PM

What about Charo?

by Anonymousreply 586July 21, 2022 9:01 PM

[quote]r535 Did I hear someone mention Shelley Hack? - where is the Shelley Hack troll?

J’arrive!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 587July 21, 2022 9:01 PM

[quote]And was in terrific shape!

[quote]She just has to be able to sit through the awards ceremony, which she seemingly can do.

Liza lives in Los Angeles. She would have to travel to D.C. for the Kennedy Center Honors, and attend a White House reception in addition to sitting through the ceremony, which lasts much longer than the edited version shown on television. She's not well enough.

by Anonymousreply 588July 21, 2022 9:02 PM

[quote]Somehow, Company and Follies transcend their less than great books and become more of an experience than a traditional Broadway show, but I don't think Merrily, Passion, Anyone Can Whistle, or Road Show do that.

I mostly agree with you, but I would say the book for COMPANY, even if not "great," is pretty much perfect for the kind of show that Furth and Sondheim were trying to write.

by Anonymousreply 589July 21, 2022 9:05 PM

[quote]R569 BAD scripts, BAD directors! —Amy Grant, reading the comments

Bad with you, good with others.

by Anonymousreply 590July 21, 2022 9:06 PM

Very well expressed, R557.

by Anonymousreply 591July 21, 2022 9:08 PM

[quote]Liza lives in Los Angeles. She would have to travel to D.C. for the Kennedy Center Honors, and attend a White House reception in addition to sitting through the ceremony, which lasts much longer than the edited version shown on television. She's not well enough.

She is well enough as long as she's sitting. People sit in airplanes, and of course the airlines are experience in accommodating people in wheelchairs. As we have seen from recent appearances and videos, Liza is not very coherent when required to speak, but the honorees never speak during the Kennedy Center Honors ceremony. And as for related events, I'm sure people would defer to Liza and not require to speak much at those either.

by Anonymousreply 592July 21, 2022 9:21 PM

[quote]Except she showed up to the Oscars...and a number of other events we have video from this year.

C'mon. Did she really "show up"? Did she?

by Anonymousreply 593July 21, 2022 9:51 PM

Both Barbara Cook and Jerry Herman had mobility issues when they attended their KCH tributes.

by Anonymousreply 594July 21, 2022 10:36 PM

B

by Anonymousreply 595July 21, 2022 10:41 PM

A

by Anonymousreply 596July 21, 2022 10:41 PM

J

by Anonymousreply 597July 21, 2022 10:41 PM

O

by Anonymousreply 598July 21, 2022 10:41 PM

U

by Anonymousreply 599July 21, 2022 10:41 PM

R

by Anonymousreply 600July 21, 2022 10:41 PM

!

by Anonymousreply 601July 21, 2022 10:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!