Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

THEATRE GOSSIP #480: The Beans are Spilled, The Bitch is Back, and Barbra is Above All This Shit Edition

Moving past the numerous 479s...with more of the same no doubt.

by Anonymousreply 604July 17, 2022 4:15 PM

Previous thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 13, 2022 3:18 PM

Comparing Bab's Dont Rain on My Parade to Lea's. Bab's is light, airy, and easy. Lea's is a bulldozer, willing itself to make it through to the end.

by Anonymousreply 2July 13, 2022 3:22 PM

That's actually a pretty darn good title, OP!

by Anonymousreply 3July 13, 2022 3:23 PM

Thanks, OP.

Maybe we can have just one #480 if sensibility prevails.

by Anonymousreply 4July 13, 2022 3:26 PM

Broadway bros love Bernie!

And Sutton... you're, um, real okay, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 13, 2022 3:45 PM

From the previous thread: “Erm, Jennifer Holiday was as big as a mobile home in Dreamgirls but she brought down the house every performance, won the Tony and every other award going and is a Broadway legend. Take that, Beanie.”

I saw JH in DREAMGIRLS twice. Original production and later on when she reprised Effie in a one off production in Atlanta. Left to her own devices, without a Michael Bennett manipulating a performance out of her,she really can not act. At all. It was rather shocking

But yea, her Bway performance is legendary

by Anonymousreply 6July 13, 2022 3:55 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 13, 2022 4:01 PM

LMAO R7. So I guess they are going there now too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 13, 2022 4:04 PM

[quote]Does anyone know what changes Harvey made to the Funny Girl book?

He made Fanny fat and her Mother a tall skinny Irish woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 13, 2022 4:07 PM

Jane Lynch has spoken . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 13, 2022 4:09 PM

[quote]I don't know if Gaga has the mental strength and intestinal fortitude to deal with the pressure of Broadway. She would probably be great with the right director but I think she'd crack.

She's toured the world in her own show. By George, SHE CAN DO IT!

by Anonymousreply 11July 13, 2022 4:16 PM

She can go back to Dancing through Life with the fiancee and her best friend Ben Platt...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 13, 2022 4:19 PM

Did the rumor referred to in r7 start on DataLounge?

by Anonymousreply 13July 13, 2022 4:21 PM

Will Funny Girl maintain that silly curtain call bit when Lea takes over?

by Anonymousreply 14July 13, 2022 4:54 PM

Well, everyone knows Jews never make it in the theatre.

by Anonymousreply 15July 13, 2022 4:58 PM

THIRTEEN trailer drops.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 13, 2022 4:58 PM

[quote]Rex Reed is not no one.

From the previous thread. Rex Reed has been no one for quite some time. And if that wasn't true before his ridiculous review of Beanie, it certainly is now.

by Anonymousreply 17July 13, 2022 5:31 PM

[quote]Does anyone know what changes Harvey made to the Funny Girl book?

Not very good ones, would be my guess. He added some anachronistic gag about men in raincoats, according to one review.

by Anonymousreply 18July 13, 2022 5:35 PM

He added the whole Eddie being in (unrequited) love with Fanny. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 19July 13, 2022 5:41 PM

I like Harvey but outside of name/fame, there's no reason he should be the "go-to guy" for rewriting classic stage musicals. He's a very mixed bag as a librettist. (He takes un-official credit for HAIRSPRAY in his biography.) I really disliked his book for KINKY BOOTS and didn't see A CATERED AFFAIR.

by Anonymousreply 20July 13, 2022 5:41 PM

Jane Lynch is a pro and the production is asking her to say that to save face.

Jane Lynch and Lea Michele aren’t close friends

by Anonymousreply 21July 13, 2022 5:46 PM

[quote] Left to her own devices, without a Michael Bennett manipulating a performance out of her,she really can not act. At all. It was rather shocking

Even with Bennett doing all he could, she couldn't act. She barreled her way through--being angry on stage is the easiest for an actor so that's what she did. It was her volcanic voice that won her the Tony

by Anonymousreply 22July 13, 2022 5:46 PM

Some Like It Hot previews a song and this is way better than the Prada preview from yesterday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 13, 2022 5:46 PM

[quote]Jane Lynch is a pro and the production is asking her to say that to save face

Most likely, r21, but it still makes sense for Lea and Tovah to start at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 24July 13, 2022 5:50 PM

The SOME LIKE IT HOT song is fun and charming.

Waiting for certain heads to explode over the fact that Sugar (the Marilyn character) is lovely, talented... and black. As is the other male lead that's not Christian Borle.

by Anonymousreply 25July 13, 2022 5:52 PM

I’m pretty sure they’re paying out Jane’s contract

I doubt they’ll pay out Beanie’s

by Anonymousreply 26July 13, 2022 5:56 PM

If you're going by the logic of the link at R7, and "stargirl" who's suggesting that antsemitism is the issue, Jews don't "pay their way" into anything, right? If you're going by the antisemitic cliche of Jews being cheap? And stargirl herself has found "zero evidence" that Feldstein's family helped produced the show--what's her source of info, anyway? Finaly, oh, dear to "stargirl" for typing "women" when she meant "woman," though Beanie is as big as two women.

by Anonymousreply 27July 13, 2022 5:58 PM

What won her the Oscar, R22--the same thing?

by Anonymousreply 28July 13, 2022 5:59 PM

I think R28 is confused.

by Anonymousreply 29July 13, 2022 6:04 PM

You're right, R29--I had the wrong Jennifer.

by Anonymousreply 30July 13, 2022 6:09 PM

what are you talking about r28? JHud won the Oscar, r22 is talking about JHol

by Anonymousreply 31July 13, 2022 6:14 PM

The song at r23 is a B and the orchestration is an A

by Anonymousreply 32July 13, 2022 6:16 PM

That Some Like It Hot chart is pretty swinging. But lyrically, it states its premise and then repeats it and repeats it again, so it has nowhere to go. It's one of these Shaiman-Whittman pastiches that sounds great and says nothing.

by Anonymousreply 33July 13, 2022 6:17 PM

It's certainly no Backstage Babble, r33...

by Anonymousreply 34July 13, 2022 6:23 PM

R31, hunty, see my comment at R30.

by Anonymousreply 35July 13, 2022 6:28 PM

On Stage Blog's Chris Peterson is NOT having Lea's return!

[quote]It terrifies me that this is the first step towards erasing any progress we’ve made in terms of making this industry better and safer.

Mary!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36July 13, 2022 6:37 PM

Lea is unsafe! MARY!!!!

by Anonymousreply 37July 13, 2022 6:39 PM

Has Jen Tepper weighed in on the discrimination faced by overweight Jewish women in New York theater?

by Anonymousreply 38July 13, 2022 6:40 PM

The article at r36

[quote] I know there are good people working in this industry who are trying to impact change.

What the fuck is "impacting change"?

[quote] A couple of days ago, I wrote a piece about the situation where I stated that it felt like “watching a Karen win a Nobel Peace Prize.” I caught some flack for that, but I don’t take it back. I meant every word. Because it really does feel like that.

Good argument.

by Anonymousreply 39July 13, 2022 6:44 PM

R6, I agree. Jennifer Holliday gave a totally amateur performance. She had the voice but then used it to keep showing off the only song she knew in the most amateurish way. That final gasp kept getting bigger and bigger year after year. I was never impressed with her.

by Anonymousreply 40July 13, 2022 6:45 PM

[quote]What the fuck is "impacting change"?

No expert here, but it sounds like a job for a dentist.

by Anonymousreply 41July 13, 2022 6:49 PM

More men in dresses! Can't wait.

by Anonymousreply 42July 13, 2022 7:01 PM

Re: R7 Twitter quote:

It would never occur to me whether Beanie was Jewish or not. Feldstein sounds like a Jewish name, but… it could be a married name, a stage name, an adopted father’s name… really, anything. It’s not like she’s some huge STAH everyone knows everything about.

And why would Bway persecute Jews? There’s a long history of Jewish performers and producers working (if not founding) American stage and screen.

by Anonymousreply 43July 13, 2022 7:02 PM

[quote] It's certainly no Backstage Babble, [R33]...

"Backstage Babble" has a point instead of just marking time. It reduces the type of inane banter spoken by first nighters to actual nonsense words, with Bill Sampson half-heartedly responding to what is said to him, like any creative must endure on an opening night. I've always thought it was an inventive opening, not worthy of derision.

by Anonymousreply 44July 13, 2022 7:04 PM

[quote]R27 Oh, dear to "stargirl" for typing "women" when she meant "woman," though Beanie is as big as two women.

It’s [bold]womyn[/bold].

Telling you now, cuz I couldn’t tell you then!

by Anonymousreply 45July 13, 2022 7:08 PM

From R36 article:

[quote]A couple of days ago, I wrote a piece about the situation where I stated that it felt like “watching a Karen win a Nobel Peace Prize.” I caught some flack for that, but I don’t take it back. I meant every word. Because it really does feel like that.

I can’t disagree with him. The article’s valid.

by Anonymousreply 46July 13, 2022 7:35 PM

" Impacting change" means turning Broadway black at the expense of all other minorities.

by Anonymousreply 47July 13, 2022 7:41 PM

Well, smell Heeby Deeby Doo at r44!

by Anonymousreply 48July 13, 2022 8:04 PM

R45, no one knows what any of those is anymore.

by Anonymousreply 49July 13, 2022 8:06 PM

Being cast in the lead of a famed but so-so Broadway musical is not comparable to winning a Nobel Prize.

Jesus Christ - the histrionic online discourse around this whole weird saga is just so dumb and juvenile.

by Anonymousreply 50July 13, 2022 8:21 PM

I think that the solution for Funny Girl is that Lea should perform Act 1 and Beanie should perform Act 2.

by Anonymousreply 51July 13, 2022 8:24 PM

Will Lea Michele shit on the stage as an encore during her curtain call?

by Anonymousreply 52July 13, 2022 8:27 PM

The Some Like It Hot song isn't half bad. Maybe there's hope for it.

by Anonymousreply 53July 13, 2022 8:27 PM

The SOME LIKE IT HOT song sounds completely generic.

by Anonymousreply 54July 13, 2022 8:31 PM

That blog at R36 was written by a woman, no doubt, but it is the nelliest, pearl-clutching bit of nonsense I've read in a while.

by Anonymousreply 55July 13, 2022 8:36 PM

In my opinion, American Theatre magazine lost its credibility years ago, but this article is a new low.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56July 13, 2022 8:40 PM

What "historic casting" are they reeferring to? A Jew was hired to play a Jew.

by Anonymousreply 57July 13, 2022 8:44 PM

*referring

by Anonymousreply 58July 13, 2022 8:44 PM

r55, nope, a man, and I'm assuming a big queen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59July 13, 2022 8:48 PM

[quote]He added the whole Eddie being in (unrequited) love with Fanny. Ugh.

Not really true. There is some of that in the original script of FUNNY GIRL, though Fierstein did amplify it, or you might say, harped on it.

by Anonymousreply 60July 13, 2022 8:48 PM

The woke need to start building churches and congregating there weekly. It's all scripture and doctrine. But it's also academia run amock (which is where all this regressive, illiberal horseshit began ironically)

It's the new religion for would-be atheists, and they're too narcissistic to even see it.

by Anonymousreply 61July 13, 2022 8:49 PM

[quote]A couple of days ago, I wrote a piece about the situation where I stated that it felt like “watching a Karen win a Nobel Peace Prize.” I caught some flack for that, but I don’t take it back. I meant every word. Because it really does feel like that.

The fact that this fool falls back on the incredibly stupid and childish "Karen" meme gives us all a pretty good idea of the extent of his idiocy.

by Anonymousreply 62July 13, 2022 8:51 PM

“It terrifies me ….”

That is one unnerved guy.

by Anonymousreply 63July 13, 2022 8:53 PM

That article suggesting the Fat phobic angle on the Beanie firing/crap reviews/bullying is such a crock of shit. It's SO emblematic of our current culture. This person wasn't/isn't qualified in their skillset, but let's make it about some aspect of their intersectionality and some "__-phobia" on the powers that be's part that explains why they've wound up where they have. It's such a childish, bratty blame game. And because you have a bunch of childish brats running Twitter, these ideas rise to the top and flourish and spur ridiculous Op-Ed pieces like the one above.

People would rag on her if she were RAKE THIN! She couldn't sing the score, she couldn't create any body heat between with her leading man, and she was a shit company leader from day one. THIS is why she was dismissed by critics and now contractually, by her producers. In 2022, professional victimhood is easier than facing your own shortcomings!

by Anonymousreply 64July 13, 2022 9:09 PM

I don't think anyone's posted them, but Feldman's tidbits today were juicy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65July 13, 2022 9:11 PM

More:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66July 13, 2022 9:12 PM

Is this what Walter Winchell was like?

by Anonymousreply 67July 13, 2022 9:13 PM

Man. Adam Feldman is really serving up some tea! That Daily Beast hit piece really did feel like some very carefully constructed damage control. Especially trying to paint Benko as some kind of instigator with her (benign) social media posts.

The producers would actually be wise to temporarily close the show in August for 2-3 weeks and return with new branding, a fresh PR angle with Michele, photos in new costumes, etc. Just wipe the slate clean.

But is Mayer sticking around? Or will a ghost director step in to punch it up?

by Anonymousreply 68July 13, 2022 9:18 PM

[quote]The producers would actually be wise to temporarily close the show in August for 2-3 weeks and return with new branding, a fresh PR angle with Michele, photos in new costumes, etc. Just wipe the slate clean.

That's what they did with ALNM when Bernie took over

by Anonymousreply 69July 13, 2022 9:21 PM

Why hasn't DL's fave hack Michael Mayer stepped up to fill in for Beanie for a couple weeks? It's the part I'm sure Ms. Mayer feels she was born to play. And she's just as fat as Beanie!

by Anonymousreply 70July 13, 2022 9:38 PM

That VOX article was delicious. My favourite bit:

[quote]The Tonys telecast did take the time to honor someone else, though. Appearing with the original cast of Spring Awakening in a special anniversary tribute performance was none other than Lea Michele.

by Anonymousreply 71July 13, 2022 9:48 PM

Yeah because that's what a musical called Some Like It Hot needs is a number called Some Like It Hot.

by Anonymousreply 72July 13, 2022 9:59 PM

Who the hell died and left prisspot Chris Peterson in charge of Lea Michele's redemption?

by Anonymousreply 73July 13, 2022 10:04 PM

I feel bad for Julie. She was excited to be given a wonderful opportunity…and everyone shit all over her.

This whole mess has been such a shitshow for everyone.

Beanie is humiliated

Julie is humiliated

Jane Lynch is humiliated

Lea is coming across as a bitch

And why?

No Tony’s and awful reviews.

by Anonymousreply 74July 13, 2022 10:10 PM

I can't wait until Lea crashes and explodes.

by Anonymousreply 75July 13, 2022 10:15 PM

Wouldn't you like to know how Ramin really feels about all this?

by Anonymousreply 76July 13, 2022 10:16 PM

[quote]R74 I feel bad for Julie. She was excited to be given a wonderful opportunity…and everyone shit all over her.

Wut?

Hardly anyone knew who she was before. She got great press, lots of positive attention, and a solid credit.

by Anonymousreply 77July 13, 2022 10:23 PM

Bernadette did not get new costumes when she replaced in ALNM. Let's hope Lea does.

by Anonymousreply 78July 13, 2022 10:27 PM

R78-If she doesn't she'll look like a Weight Watchers "after" photo.

by Anonymousreply 79July 13, 2022 10:28 PM

I asked this before, but hasn’t Lea Michele’s cumulative plastic surgeries lifted her out of the “gawky wallflower” category? Fanny’s supposed to be homely (?) Or failing that, fat.

by Anonymousreply 80July 13, 2022 10:31 PM

Exactly, r77. She and Jane are coming out of this just fine. The only criticism about Jane was that she was miscast.

by Anonymousreply 81July 13, 2022 10:32 PM

Bernadette did not get new costumes when she replaced in ALNM. Let's hope Lea does.

Oh, yes she did, r78. The *design* was the same but she didn't wear Cathy's sweaty rags.

by Anonymousreply 82July 13, 2022 10:35 PM

[quote] she didn't wear Cathy's sweaty rags

I don’t sweat, dear. At most I glow.

by Anonymousreply 83July 13, 2022 10:37 PM

Um….Julie isn’t coming out fine. Did u read the tweets from Adam Feldman and the article??? The producers are blaming Julie for upsetting Beanie with her social media updates about her performances and the producers said they regretted letting Julie promote herself

by Anonymousreply 84July 13, 2022 11:25 PM

Yes, r84, I did. There isn't blame put on Julie, they're putting the blame on themselves.

by Anonymousreply 85July 13, 2022 11:28 PM

[Quote] Wouldn't you like to know how Ramin really feels about all this?

I would just like to know how Ramin really feels.

by Anonymousreply 86July 13, 2022 11:38 PM

Does Ramin even know what’s going on? He’s dumb as a box of hair.

by Anonymousreply 87July 13, 2022 11:51 PM

Lea can wear Beanie’s costumes. They just need to be altered. A little.

by Anonymousreply 88July 13, 2022 11:53 PM

Why then, R84, did they give Julie a month to star in the show in between the other two? If they're so irritated by her and all?

by Anonymousreply 89July 13, 2022 11:58 PM

It's Beanie's own fault: She just had to take those four performances off at the end of the second week so she could attend a wedding. Those absences were announced when tickets first went on sale. So the entire world knew well in advance that Julie would be going on at those performances, thereby allowing all of those interested and able to attend.

Had Beanie never announced any absences in advance, no one would have known when Julie would be going on, at least not until Beanie came down with covid.

by Anonymousreply 90July 14, 2022 12:00 AM

Exactly, if she had never announced people would have just assumed she came down with the 'rona. She could have totally played up sympathy at that point.

by Anonymousreply 91July 14, 2022 12:02 AM

[quote]I wrote a piece about the situation where I stated that it felt like “watching a Karen win a Nobel Peace Prize.” I caught some flack for that, but I don’t take it back.

The odd thing is, until I thought twice about this comment, which I saw out of context, I thought it referred to Beanie getting the role in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 92July 14, 2022 12:04 AM

All this drama for some tired revival of some musical from 60 years ago that's famous for one thing: Barbra Streisand. She must be relishing this in her dotage.

by Anonymousreply 93July 14, 2022 12:05 AM

Ramin is a CrossFit bro - I bet he ignores it. Bunch of squawking hens to him.

by Anonymousreply 94July 14, 2022 12:05 AM

The Post says The Piano Lesson is getting shoved over to the Barrymore (now that Paradise Square is ending) so that Into the Woods can extend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95July 14, 2022 12:27 AM

I'm completely enjoying the Funny Girl meltdown and gossip. I'm kind of rooting for Lea Michelle just because her haters are such humorless self-righteous lot, but I won't mind a disaster either. Just think it's unlikely.

And Lea and Tovah in one show? Two crazy divas in one backstage--do they cancel each other out?

by Anonymousreply 96July 14, 2022 12:30 AM

[quote]He added the whole Eddie being in (unrequited) love with Fanny. Ugh.

I'm genuinely surprised that Harvey didn't turn Eddie into a flaming homosexualist who becomes Fanny's gay BFF.

by Anonymousreply 97July 14, 2022 12:50 AM

Vox has a timeline of THE DRAMA

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98July 14, 2022 12:52 AM

The Post says that Piano Lesson is moving, but it doesn't say that ITW is extending.

by Anonymousreply 99July 14, 2022 1:01 AM

R99, from the article:

"The downgrade comes because St. James landlord Jujamcyn would prefer to extend its hugely successful — and twig-cheap — production of Stephen Sondheim’s “Into the Woods” with Sara Bareilles and Patina Miller as long as it possibly can.

The critics’ reviews of the fairy-tale show were stellar, and the revival is doing business that the late composer rarely saw during his life.

My advice to the upcoming musical “New York, New York” — featuring songs by John Kander and Fred Ebb — that is also produced by Sonia Friedman and is supposed to go into the St. James in the spring: Don’t start spreading the news just yet."

by Anonymousreply 100July 14, 2022 1:10 AM

The Fanny understudy was gifted a fannypack:

[quote]The most thoughtful gift from our incredible and kind #beaniefeldstein ❤️ (a welcome into #thefannypack )

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101July 14, 2022 1:12 AM

Is that where Beanie stores her walking papers?

by Anonymousreply 102July 14, 2022 1:14 AM

Did Julie Kazan get a Fanny pack?

by Anonymousreply 103July 14, 2022 1:17 AM

A Fanny pack????? It’s a fucking snack purse!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 104July 14, 2022 1:24 AM

Hmmm...someone on the BWW threads, who usually knows which theaters shows are going into before they're announced says the Post is wrong. Moving The Piano Lesson to the Barrymore was explored, but the cost was too high. Stay tuned, I guess...

by Anonymousreply 105July 14, 2022 1:25 AM

The Post also finds it surprising she's still showing up

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106July 14, 2022 1:33 AM

What's all this talk about Fanny? I thought she, FDR and the dog were kind of cute together.

by Anonymousreply 107July 14, 2022 1:52 AM

When in the hell are theatre producers gonna realize it is called Theatre Business? And, in business you hire the best person for the job. And, Beanie was nowhere close to being the best hire for Fanny. Did they watch her mediocre, “I’m a Freshman majoring-in-musical-theatre singing” at the Kennedy Center Honors? She could not hold her own against the other Broadway actors. The producers should have taken action then and replaced her before they even started rehearsals for FG. This would have already been forgotten at this point.

Where were the adults in the room when they were planning this production?

by Anonymousreply 108July 14, 2022 1:55 AM

The drama is unending with this shitshow:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109July 14, 2022 1:59 AM

[quote] Lea and Tovah in one show? Two crazy divas in one backstage]

"Funny Girl 2.0 aka "Bring in 'da Bitch, Bring in 'da Cunt".

by Anonymousreply 110July 14, 2022 2:03 AM

No, I mean "Fanny", the one Florence Henderson did. Really I did.

by Anonymousreply 111July 14, 2022 2:30 AM

James is Jujamcyn, Barrymore is Shuberts’. How does that work?

by Anonymousreply 112July 14, 2022 2:30 AM

When Bernadette Peters didn’t join the rest of the cast of Follies to LA and was replaced by Victoria Clark there wasn’t any tabloid drama. Why here?

by Anonymousreply 113July 14, 2022 2:34 AM

This is now quite boring

by Anonymousreply 114July 14, 2022 2:35 AM

Too cunty to rehearse on site.

“Lea is going to rehearse off-site, then come to the building to play the performances,” the source said.

by Anonymousreply 115July 14, 2022 2:37 AM

How do you rehearse by yourself? Don't you need to have the other actors in the room?

by Anonymousreply 116July 14, 2022 2:38 AM

She has such a rep as a gash no one will work rehearse with her?

by Anonymousreply 117July 14, 2022 2:39 AM

*That's* your comparison, r113?

by Anonymousreply 118July 14, 2022 2:40 AM

Is strange loop going to be the second-shortest-running best musical winner, after passion?

by Anonymousreply 119July 14, 2022 2:45 AM

So, sounds like Beanie was not happy about those leaks, thus the revisionism of the People article. Nothing to see here, folks, move along, Beanie's Instagram was *totally* expected. Of course it was.

I expect Lea will show up to rehearse at the theatre a couple of weeks before her opening.

by Anonymousreply 120July 14, 2022 2:58 AM

THIS DAY IN BROADWAY HISTORY: In 1977, a power failure caused black outs throughout New York City, halting several Broadway shows in the middle of their second acts.

by Anonymousreply 121July 14, 2022 3:12 AM

I'm still baffled by the casting of Tovah to replace Jane (both bad decisions). Tovah can't sing for shit - hell, she can't even talk-sing all that well.

by Anonymousreply 122July 14, 2022 3:32 AM

Ugh, that article at R56 is vomit-inducing. Nothing but victimhood all throughout. It's quite annoying because it's clear in the subtext that the writer agrees that Beanie sucked in the role. [italic]But all the criticisms were of course simply because she's fat!![/italic].

by Anonymousreply 123July 14, 2022 3:37 AM

R106. I love that photo of Jane hugging Beanie. Just look at the facial expressions and body language of everyone else in the pic. Thisclose to eye rolling. Ramin looks annoyed.

by Anonymousreply 124July 14, 2022 3:39 AM

SARAVA!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125July 14, 2022 3:46 AM

I saw 1776 at ART. Shouty. The colorblind casting of women in all the roles doesn’t have much impact after the first few minutes; it’s as if the director thought that choice all by itself was going to provide some kind of meaningful irony or something, but you mostly just feel like you’re watching a show at an all-girls school.

by Anonymousreply 126July 14, 2022 3:49 AM

That godawful clip at R125 is before Tovah's voice dropped 17 octaves to where it is now.

by Anonymousreply 127July 14, 2022 3:50 AM

Cunt

by Anonymousreply 128July 14, 2022 3:53 AM

What does Mrs. Brice sing? Aren't they character-voice numbers? Does she actually have to sound good or is just staying on the beat, more or less, acceptable?

by Anonymousreply 129July 14, 2022 3:58 AM

Mrs. Brice is a nothing role! Even Mrs. Strakosh has funnier lines and better lyrics to sing.

by Anonymousreply 130July 14, 2022 4:00 AM

By the time Lea opens in this turkey nobody will give a rat's ass.

by Anonymousreply 131July 14, 2022 4:01 AM

I didn't realize that Find Yourself A Man was cut from the revival, so I guess Mrs. Brice's big number is Who Taught Her Everything? with Eddie.

by Anonymousreply 132July 14, 2022 4:05 AM

I had a voice student who went into "Dear Evan Hansen" when one of the understudies went on vacation. (And yes, they did get to go on). It was in their contract that they were not allowed to post on social media if they were going on for the role they were covering. I found it odd, but this sort of thing does happen.

by Anonymousreply 133July 14, 2022 4:05 AM

If only social media were around in MY day, fuckers!

by Anonymousreply 134July 14, 2022 4:06 AM

Okay, forgive my ignorance. I only know Feldshuh from TV--L&O and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and she was fine in those (even if her face seemed frighteningly tight on the latter). I've seen that cringeworthy Gypsy clip. Is she considered a bad actress in general? Or just bad in musicals? Or onstage?

by Anonymousreply 135July 14, 2022 4:22 AM

Tovah Feldshuh can be terrific -- check her out in KISSING JESSICA STEIN or DANIEL or, yes, LAW AND ORDER and CRAZY EX-GIRLFRIEND. But this is DL, where single moments caught on video and/or rumors they've dined out on for years invalidate an entire career.

She's technically too old for it (she could be Lea Michele's grandmother), but she's an accomplished Jewish actress with strong stage credentials (including 4 Tony nominations). This certainly isn't stunt casting, and she might very well be superb. Certainly she won't have far to go to surpass Jane Lynch, who phones the role in with no compensation by way of vocal quality or musical comedy skill.

by Anonymousreply 136July 14, 2022 4:28 AM

[quote] She's technically too old for it

I recently watched her playing a young twentysomething in a 1976-77 era episode of FAMILY so yes, she's a bit too old. We'll see if she's got stamina at 73.

by Anonymousreply 137July 14, 2022 4:32 AM

R130-Are you crazy? Tovah is on DL. Now you've screwed the pooch.

by Anonymousreply 138July 14, 2022 4:38 AM

[quote]Samuel L. Jackson’s Broadway play ‘The Piano Lesson’ gets shafted.

Actually, if this rumor is true, it would be a win-win situation for everyone, because it was absolutely ridiculous that THE PIANO LESSON was booked into the St. James Theater -- almost always a musical house, with a second balcony -- in the first place. If THE PIANO LESSON had opened there, I'm sure the number of empty seats per performance would have been tremendous, but obviously, far less so at the Barrymore.

by Anonymousreply 139July 14, 2022 4:46 AM

From R106:

[quote]Added a wag: “Maybe Sonia would have been kinder to the actor playing Fanny Brice if it was Mark Rylance.”

I don’t get the reference. What’s the story with Mark Rylance?

by Anonymousreply 140July 14, 2022 4:51 AM

[quote]I'm still baffled by the casting of Tovah to replace Jane (both bad decisions). Tovah can't sing for shit - hell, she can't even talk-sing all that well.

Because Kay Medford was known for her fine singing?

by Anonymousreply 141July 14, 2022 4:53 AM

The Some Like It Hot song is over-orchestrated and under-composed. Those two can write pastiche until the cows come home but don’t understand what makes moments stage-worthy, dramatically satisfying or actable.

Look for this to be Catch Me If You Can Part 2.

by Anonymousreply 142July 14, 2022 4:55 AM

[quote]Because Kay Medford was known for her fine singing?

Kay Medford was perfection as Mrs. Brice.

by Anonymousreply 143July 14, 2022 4:58 AM

Why didn’t they offer the role of Mrs. Brice to Babs?

Seems like a natural choice.

by Anonymousreply 144July 14, 2022 5:00 AM

UPDATE: Lea will be rehearsing with the full cast at rehearsal spaces in the area, Beanie won’t allow any work to be done at the theater. She’s becoming unhinged, especially negative towards Julie. Unfortunate.

by Anonymousreply 145July 14, 2022 5:01 AM

It just gets worse and worse. Has there ever been such a humiliating run by a performer on Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 146July 14, 2022 5:03 AM

[quote]Beanie won’t allow any work to be done at the theater.

Does this child who's quitting the show really have that much say in the matter?

by Anonymousreply 147July 14, 2022 5:04 AM

[quote]Beanie won’t allow any work to be done at the theater.

Lea doesn’t start till September. Why would she start rehearsals before Beanie leaves in two weeks?

by Anonymousreply 148July 14, 2022 5:24 AM

R148, HELLO! When you’re performing eight shows a week, rehearsals are specific and in advance. Beanie is making the transition ROUGH.

by Anonymousreply 149July 14, 2022 5:38 AM

Babs offered to do the role of Mrs. Brice if she could also sing Who Are You Now and The Music that Makes Me Dance. But the producers realized that Babs would come across as Fanny's great grandmother and declined.

by Anonymousreply 150July 14, 2022 8:17 AM

I call bullshit on the idea Beanie can say where rehearsals do and don't happen.

There's also the little fact that Lea is doing a concert tour at the moment. She's in DC on the 20th, Philadelphia on the 22nd and Boston the 24th. If Beanie was causing so much drama the logical thing would be just to wait her out, which also coincides with Lea finishing her tour (except a few dates in August)

by Anonymousreply 151July 14, 2022 8:27 AM

[quote]the upcoming musical “New York, New York” — featuring songs by John Kander and Fred Ebb — that is also produced by Sonia Friedman and is supposed to go into the St. James in the spring

Wait, wha...?

by Anonymousreply 152July 14, 2022 9:23 AM

[quote] I don’t get the reference. What’s the story with Mark Rylance?

Sonia Friedman has produced all of Rylance's commercial ventures on Broadway and in the West End, and she treats him well. That quote, which is bitter nonsense, seems to me to imply that Friedman didn't treat Feldstein with the same level of respect as she would Rylance.

by Anonymousreply 153July 14, 2022 9:25 AM

R122, That bitch stole my Tony nomination in 1979.

by Anonymousreply 154July 14, 2022 9:30 AM

R137, Billy Crystal is doing 8 shows a week at 74.

by Anonymousreply 155July 14, 2022 9:39 AM

Did someone say Babs is going on tour again?

by Anonymousreply 156July 14, 2022 9:46 AM

If Beanie is actually angry at the standby who seems sweet and benign and painfully bland - that’s beyond. Mad at the woman for what? Posting on her Instagram with 10k followers that she’s excited to go on?

by Anonymousreply 157July 14, 2022 9:47 AM

Lainie Kazan still tells the story of how the Funny Girl producers forbid her to alert the press when she was to go on for Streisand, so Lainie had her mother make the calls.

by Anonymousreply 158July 14, 2022 9:54 AM

All of the following can be true ... Tovah Feldshuh a) can be good in the right roles (see Crazy Ex-Girlfriend); b) can be difficult; c) was never as bad as suggested by the picnic story, which keeps getting recycled so DLers can pretend to be insiders (see stories about Creel, Gavin and Taylor, Wes); d) has mellowed with age (see Lane, Nathan); e) is not playing a role that requires strong singing (see Lynch, Jane); e) is too old to play the mother of a teenager, which Fanny is at the start of the show.

by Anonymousreply 159July 14, 2022 10:47 AM

Kay Medford also appeared too old(though only 45) to be the mother of a teenager and on film no less. Still you went along with it because she was so wonderful in the part. Like Pert Kelton in The Music Man.

by Anonymousreply 160July 14, 2022 10:52 AM

From the editorial linked at R36:

[quote]Now, if you think I’m being unfair to Lea Michele, or that she should be given the benefit of the doubt, or she should just be given a second chance - what you really need to understand is that forgiveness and second chances and the benefit of the doubt should be afforded to people that have done the work to earn it. [dramatic paragraph break] Lea Michele has not earned it.

I realize this is an opinion piece, but I still wonder: who is he to decide this? He does to go on to (sort of) lay out what "earning it" would look like to him, which would be groveling to each individual person she's wronged (I guess going back to her Ragtime days). What if the injured parties feel it still isn't enough? How do these things get adjudicated? Is it like the Supreme Court, where the nine people Lea Michele treated worst vote on it, and if a 5-4 majority says she hasn't done enough, she still can't be hired?

How serious should the blacklist be? No leading roles on Broadway? No roles of any kind on Broadway? Complete unemployment?

[quote]So what can we do? I honestly don’t know at this point. We can stay loud on social media. We can start hashtags. We can boycott shows. But does any of that make a difference in the end?

Well, it would keep you home more, having the kind of relationships that probably go best for you: replying with fire emojis and such to people who agree with you but whom you'll never meet.

But there you have it. What CAN "we" do about this very serious problem of a woman who may have treated colleagues badly on a television show and some prior stage productions (some when she was a child, none more recent than 2015) getting to be in a new Broadway show? We can stay loud on social media and create hashtags.

I had no strong feeling on this topic at the start of the week. People like this author are making me root for Lea Michele.

by Anonymousreply 161July 14, 2022 11:17 AM

[quote] Added a wag: “Maybe Sonia would have been kinder to the actor playing Fanny Brice if it was Mark Rylance.”

Truth, that.

by Anonymousreply 162July 14, 2022 11:17 AM

r157 it seems that Feldstein is an entitled individual. She probably hasn’t heard the word “no” often in her life. She utterly failed in the role and was publicly humiliated for her hubris and lack of talent. She now seeks others to blame for all this. Those closest to her will ensure she learns nothing of value, preferring to shore up her delusions of ability.

by Anonymousreply 163July 14, 2022 11:20 AM

[quote] Those two can write pastiche until the cows come home but don’t understand what makes moments stage-worthy, dramatically satisfying or actable.

Did you feel that way about [italic] Hairspray [/italic] ?

by Anonymousreply 164July 14, 2022 11:21 AM

Nope, [R155], Billy Crystal is doing just 7 shows a week at 74. No Wednesday matinees for that show at all.

by Anonymousreply 165July 14, 2022 11:23 AM

What are the stories of Gavin Creel being difficult?

by Anonymousreply 166July 14, 2022 12:01 PM

[quote]He does to go on to (sort of) lay out what "earning it" would look like to him, which would be groveling to each individual person she's wronged (I guess going back to her Ragtime days).

After the original 'shit in the wig' tweet, Amber Riley mentioned that Michele reached out to her privately. Sounds like the author doesn't get that the 'groveling' may be done off social media, and that he doesn't exactly have the right to be looped in on each and every such conversation.

by Anonymousreply 167July 14, 2022 12:13 PM

[quote] What are the stories of Gavin Creel being difficult?

Don't know, but I've worked with him and found him delightful. He's a little off-kilter, but not difficult at all. And before a certain troll chimes in, he smells fine.

by Anonymousreply 168July 14, 2022 12:27 PM

[quote] Beanie won’t allow any work to be done at the theater.

Lol. This is not a thing. She has zero say over where anyone rehearses.

by Anonymousreply 169July 14, 2022 12:39 PM

Will Beanie be filing a lawsuit against the Funny Girl producers?

by Anonymousreply 170July 14, 2022 12:42 PM

Tovah can be fine on film and TV, but she has a tendancy to overact A LOT on stage. She also thinks she's hilarious, and she's not.

by Anonymousreply 171July 14, 2022 12:42 PM

Didn’t Cicely Tyson do 8 shows a week of Gin Game at age 90?

by Anonymousreply 172July 14, 2022 12:47 PM

Isn't it a bit rough to criticise Michele for stuff she did when in Ragtime? She was a kid. Kids act out. Moreover, kids who are on Broadway young (she was Cosette at even younger) probably don't have the most fun home lives.

by Anonymousreply 173July 14, 2022 12:50 PM

Look, Lea Michele is a creation right out of Valley of the Dolls and I AM HERE FOR IT.

by Anonymousreply 174July 14, 2022 1:08 PM

I think what people are tired of is watching assholes succeed over and over again. It really came to a full circle when Trump was elected in 2016. Everyone knew he was a mean bully, and he was rewarded with the most important job in the United States. Look at Marjorie Taylor Greene? The meaner you are, the more money she raises.

People know Lea Michele is a mean bully.

She is rewarded with her dream job.

This is why people are upset.

by Anonymousreply 175July 14, 2022 1:09 PM

Damn you, r125! I now can't get that horrible song out of my head!!!

by Anonymousreply 176July 14, 2022 1:14 PM

r173 If it was only Ragtime, then maybe. But she's continued to act like that as an adult at numerous jobs.

by Anonymousreply 177July 14, 2022 1:14 PM

I don’t get the whole “the producers could’ve been nicer to Beanie” thing. If they mean by telling her “You’re not up to this, luv,” and not casting her in the first place then fine, they could’ve done her that service. But otherwise they gave her a tremendous opportunity and she fucked it up. I mean, literally, she knew the score. She’s not Phoebe on Friends - more than anybody she knew whether she could deliver the score or not. A good singer knows when they’re hitting the notes, they know when they’re interpreting a song in a meaningful way. If she was deluding herself, that’s on her. She put herself in that position. Her failure to deliver is on her.

by Anonymousreply 178July 14, 2022 1:15 PM

Give Tovah a break. She had to get fucked by Ernest Borgnine's dick - the same one that entered Merman.

by Anonymousreply 179July 14, 2022 1:16 PM

Ernest fucked Merman?

Anyway, Beanie will still find work. I don't feel sorry for her.

by Anonymousreply 180July 14, 2022 1:22 PM

That's a different Tovah.

by Anonymousreply 181July 14, 2022 1:22 PM

Oh please R175, anyone who is actually upset about this needs to get a life, stat.

Lea Michele was never POTUS. She’s not a supposed legislator like MGT. What perpetual victims like yourself need to hear is that you can only be bullied if you allow yourself to be bullied, if you don’t claim your own power.

I’m tired of hearing this stuff from equally ambitious people like Sammie Ware, whom for whatever reason, thought she had to take that and willingly compromised herself to further her own career. She could’ve told Lea Michele to fuck off, she could’ve left the set, got on with her life. Instead, she apparently did nothing until years later on social media in the middle of a pandemic - that’s who she is, she’s WEAK. And now she’s going to forever eclipse her own career - though I have no idea who she is anyway - but she’s going to eclipse herself and be the “girl who claims Lea Michele once threatened to shit in her wig.” I guess if you have nothing else going for you, you settle for that kind of notoriety. She didn’t do anything for herself back in the day or for anyone else on that set but, oh well, she claims to be a victim so let’s applaud her for that.

Her only way to get attention, now and forever, will be to rob someone else of their own personality, like the Farrow clan with Woody Allen.

I look forward to the day when Sammie Ware declines to talk about this in an interview. It’ll be like, sorry luv, you made this bed, you lie in it. You’re the girl with the shit in your wig. Well done.

by Anonymousreply 182July 14, 2022 1:26 PM

We will never know if Ernest Borgnine’s dick entered Ethel Merman. And that’s a sentence I never thought I would write!

by Anonymousreply 183July 14, 2022 1:30 PM

Katrina Lenk didn’t get great reviews for Company and her singing was criticized yet the only performances she missed were due to Covid. That’s a professional.

by Anonymousreply 184July 14, 2022 1:33 PM

At least Lea's FG cast will know everything about her bullying cast and likely won't take any crap from her.

by Anonymousreply 185July 14, 2022 1:36 PM

That Some Like It Hot song is just so typical of the "Have a bright opening song belted by a fat Black lady" moment every new musical just as to have.

Try to remember the tune even a second later.

by Anonymousreply 186July 14, 2022 1:38 PM

Lea Michele is a toxic bullying bitch. She’s not going to change. If she saves the show she’ll be wonderful because she’ll make people money. If not she’ll fade.

The important thing to remember is either way she is and will always be a prize cunt. Success in this role will merely enable cuntitude of significantly more toxicity.

by Anonymousreply 187July 14, 2022 1:38 PM

But R185, that SLIH song seems more of a finale/closer. Why would Osgood be in the opening number?

It’s no Doin’ It For Sugar, I’ll say that.

by Anonymousreply 188July 14, 2022 1:42 PM

I adore her!

by Anonymousreply 189July 14, 2022 1:44 PM

"Breaking the Binary Theatre Festival centers the voices and stories of artists in the Trans, Non-binary, and Two-Spirit+ communities by carving out space and providing resources to explore new works, all the while building community and reclaiming our stories and artistic license," says Strus.

"TNB2S+ theatremakers have long been misrepresented and underpaid for their work in the American theatre. In supporting and amplifying over 100 TNB2S+ theatremakers, it is vital that every creative decision be made by a member of the TNB2S+ community and each artist compensated equitably for their time and labor, making no less than New York's living wage of $21.50 an hour."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190July 14, 2022 1:47 PM

FOLLIES!

In San Francisco! Who's going?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191July 14, 2022 1:49 PM

Natascia Diaz is not a Sally.

by Anonymousreply 192July 14, 2022 1:51 PM

Will people please stop posting that terrifying photo of that woman at r191?!?

by Anonymousreply 193July 14, 2022 2:04 PM

Fresh off her Broadway triumph in the Funny Girl revival, Beanie Feldstein *is* Phyllis, a role she had dreamed of playing since she was 3 1/2 years old. Ms. Feldstein will be substituting “Ah, But Underneath” for “The Story of Lucy and Jessie.”

by Anonymousreply 194July 14, 2022 2:13 PM

[quote]I had no strong feeling on this topic at the start of the week. People like this author are making me root for Lea Michele.

This "author" is a despicable, self-promoting shit-stirrer who has tried to cancel people for sometimes even the most minor "offenses."

by Anonymousreply 195July 14, 2022 2:16 PM

[quote] I don’t get the reference. What’s the story with Mark Rylance?

He's no Daniel Reichard.

by Anonymousreply 196July 14, 2022 2:17 PM

I, for one, don't want to see what's underneath Beanie.

by Anonymousreply 197July 14, 2022 2:30 PM

[quote] It’s no Doin’ It For Sugar, I’ll say that.

The added title song in the Tommy Steele London version of Sugar/Some Like It Hot has typically garbage West End orchestrations, but I think a more memorable melody.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198July 14, 2022 2:31 PM

I think Mark Rylance is still the only Oscar winner who has gotten a real blow job on film -- in another film.

by Anonymousreply 199July 14, 2022 2:31 PM

Whether or not Tovah succeeds as Mrs Brice will matter not one whit. All eyes and ears will be on Lea. My feeling: She will sing it better (duh) but will still be found lacking in other areas, especially as compared to Barbra.

I don't know LM's stage experience after Spring Awakening. Has she ever carried a show onstage as a lead?

by Anonymousreply 200July 14, 2022 2:47 PM

r46 I'm in the peculiar position of being both a football fan and a fan of Broadway. Unbeknownst to probably all of you that powerhouse institution the NFL has been going through a similar soul searching over a quarterback who has multiple allegations of sexual misconduct against him. He's not the fist player to have criminal allegations against him, but after me too his is the biggest scandal and has caused the most turmoil.

Some of you assholes are going to say it's not the same thing, sexual misconduct and Lea's Michele's horrendous behavior but while the actions are not the same it result for those experiencing the trauma is the same. The result is people are being harassed, bullied, traumatized, threatened. Harvey, Rudin, Michele all caused harm using threats, bullying, violence, it's the same behavior.

Some people smart enough and clear thinking enough are saying there should be a zero tolerance policy in the NFL for any player committing crimes. Keep it out of the league because what are we saying to anyone paying attention? We are saying that if you are going to make enough money for someone you can act however you want whether you are on Broadway or in high dollar sports.

No one should be excused for harassment, bullying, threats, violence and if Michele behaves the way she has in the past I think the production should be liable for whatever damage anyone feels they have suffered because of her behavior. Anyone that hires an individual that has proven they are hostile and aggressive toward others should bare the weight of their decision.

by Anonymousreply 201July 14, 2022 2:53 PM

To clarify, of course Beanie Feldstein cannot demand where rehearsals take place, it is more of an emotional “boundary” that having everything take place away from the current tension is more helpful for the cast and production. And make no mistake, there is a serious amount of backstage tension at the moment. I’m shocked they aren’t just buying her out because it’s incredibly unfair to the entire cast.

by Anonymousreply 202July 14, 2022 2:55 PM

r50 is your IQ higher than your reply number?

by Anonymousreply 203July 14, 2022 2:55 PM

R201….. I respect your opinion but saying that the trauma of being raped is the same as hearing that some bitch told someone else that she should poop in your wig? Is that what you are actually arguing?

Call me an asshole all you want, but victims of sexual assault really shouldn’t be thrown into the same class of trauma as the twink extra who Darren Criss unsuccessfully tried to bring to lunch.

by Anonymousreply 204July 14, 2022 3:02 PM

r161 it would be great if those of you twisting rational thought and logic in order to defend Michele would just say,

"I care more about drinking in all the juice her insane behavior produces than I do any damage she has done or might do. I don't care about anything except the thrill I get out of watching this shit show and seeing someone as vile as Lea win will bring me unparalleled joy because deep down I wish I could shit in someone's wig and get away with it."

by Anonymousreply 205July 14, 2022 3:10 PM

^ Who isn’t that true for?

by Anonymousreply 206July 14, 2022 3:12 PM

R188-It's probably the opening number and the curtain call closer.

by Anonymousreply 207July 14, 2022 3:13 PM

r204 are you serious or are you just stupid?

I said the actions are not the same. The behavior is the same. Can you understand those words?

Bullying feels the same no matter how it is used. Violence feels the same. Aggression feels the same. They all can cause trauma. When you get therapy as a trauma patient they treat you for trauma they don't treat you for rape. Rape is how you experienced the trauma. Rape is not a condition. They treat you for anxiety or depression. They don't treat you for rape. Rape is how you became anxious or depressed.

The BEHAVIOR get it? How someone BEHAVES. Aggression, bullying, violence, intimidation. BEHAVIOR. Rudin, Weinstein, Michele all have the same BEHAVIOR.

Now if you do not get it you really need some cognitive help.

by Anonymousreply 208July 14, 2022 3:19 PM

Hilarious 206 but there are those of us who have more class then to root for someone like Michele and I wish better for our community than to relish someone like her getting a win.

by Anonymousreply 209July 14, 2022 3:25 PM

I have rehearsed a lot of replacements on Broadway- it is very common to rehearse the star in a rehearsal room with just the stage management team and one or two principals or principal understudies for the first few weeks and then introduce the rest of the cast into the procedure for the final week. I doubt they would give Lea or anyone else special treatment when they don't for bigger stars. They would never rehearse in the theatre as it is more costly than renting a large rehearsal room.

by Anonymousreply 210July 14, 2022 3:33 PM

Maybe they can bill her as "Lea Michele as Rachel Berry in FUNNY GIRL"

by Anonymousreply 211July 14, 2022 3:41 PM

[quote]R195 …a despicable, self-promoting shit-stirrer who has tried to cancel people for sometimes even the most minor "offenses.”

There are no secrets anymore. You don’t want to be judged and face repercussions for your shitty acts, don’t do them.

It’s not that hard.

by Anonymousreply 212July 14, 2022 3:46 PM

The ticket buying public doesn't give a good God damn if someone is a complete bitch behind the scenes. Lea Michelle can sing and act and Beanie Feldstein cannot. That is all that matters to the people watching the show. It isn't like anyone behind the scenes even has to like each other; I've worked with plenty of people I couldn't stand. That's why it is called "acting."

by Anonymousreply 213July 14, 2022 3:49 PM

R210, you are correct, this information was more about getting some advance images and a few specific requests, but everything isn’t urgent, so every effort will be made to keep the cast free from unnecessary conflict. Lea and Tovah will do their work in the safety of midtown’s many rehearsal spaces!

by Anonymousreply 214July 14, 2022 3:51 PM

Will the critics rereview Funny Girl in September?

by Anonymousreply 215July 14, 2022 3:52 PM

r215

I think one of the articles said they will invite critics back

by Anonymousreply 216July 14, 2022 3:57 PM

^Even me?

by Anonymousreply 217July 14, 2022 4:00 PM

Jane Lynch will attend Lea's opening night for publicity purposes. But....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218July 14, 2022 4:05 PM

From the American Theatre piece (R56):

[quote]The minute [Beanie Feldstein] stepped onstage, before she even spoke, I felt my eyes blur with tears as the audience roared. She looked like me, and she was on a Broadway stage. And the audience was cheering. And soon she’d be romantically pursued by one of the most swooned-over men of musical theatre.

Shouldn't she have wished for the male romantic lead to be "full-bodied" as well, if it's really about representation and opportunity, not just about opportunities for people like her?

by Anonymousreply 219July 14, 2022 4:07 PM

[quote]I felt my eyes blur... She looked like me

Enough to make anyone's eyes blur.

by Anonymousreply 220July 14, 2022 4:09 PM

[quote]R231 I've worked with plenty of people I couldn't stand. That's why it is called "acting."

You’ve posted “That's why it is called ‘acting’” so many times by now, the list of what it supposedly is or isn’t must be 50 items long by now.

Go open a drama school for tots in Deluth, and lecture them.

by Anonymousreply 221July 14, 2022 4:11 PM

You make flounce a little ridiculous when your exit line features a big fat misspelling.

by Anonymousreply 222July 14, 2022 4:18 PM

R217-Not you, Rex. Your ego would never fit in the cab.

by Anonymousreply 223July 14, 2022 4:21 PM

I wonder why Atlantic Theatre Company has yet to reveal its 22/23 season yet.

by Anonymousreply 224July 14, 2022 4:23 PM

Why do you wonder that?

by Anonymousreply 225July 14, 2022 4:25 PM

[quote] It's probably the opening number and the curtain call closer.

No way. It wouldn't make any sense as an opening number, no one knows who any of those characters are or what they're singing about. Say what you will, Shaiman & Wittman know how to do opening numbres if 'Good Morning Baltimore' is any evidence. .It set the time, the tone and the I Want. This is either a show within the show number at the club that therefore doesn't need meaning, or it's something later on.

by Anonymousreply 226July 14, 2022 4:29 PM

Oh jeez R208, I said I respected your opinion but questioned your logic. You respond by calling me stupid and saying I have cognitive issues. I disagree that the trauma resulting from rape is the same level of trauma resulting from incidents of bullying by another actress on the set of a TV show. There is a reason why sexual assault is a crime and saying you will poop in another actress's wig is not.

I appreciate you clarifying what you meant (with the capital letters for emphasis - appreciated). Got it. We can agree to disagree.

by Anonymousreply 227July 14, 2022 4:30 PM

[quote]There are no secrets anymore. You don’t want to be judged and face repercussions for your shitty acts, don’t do them.

I agree, but that doesn't apply to most of the situations about which the particular shit-stirrer in question has become outraged.

by Anonymousreply 228July 14, 2022 4:31 PM

let's also remember that no one's version of the Samantha Ware story ever says what transpired before the Lea behavior. Maybe Ward was horrible on set or to someone herself. It's like a little kid complaining that her big brother hit her and conveniently leaving out that he hit her after she broke his model airplane. I'm not saying she DID do anything but the story is completely one-sided.

by Anonymousreply 229July 14, 2022 4:32 PM

[quote]Shouldn't she have wished for the male romantic lead to be "full-bodied" as well, if it's really about representation and opportunity, not just about opportunities for people like her?

Excellent point. I imagine this writer would have been a lot less thrilled at Beanie's casting in the role of Fanny if the Nicky Arnstein in this production was also "full-bodied" (in a fat way rather than a muscular way). Which makes her a blatant hypocrite.

by Anonymousreply 230July 14, 2022 4:34 PM

[quote]R222 You make flounce a little ridiculous when your exit line features a big fat misspelling

Well, I also used “by now” twice in the first sentence : (

(scrambling) But this is what rehearsal is for.

And SCENE!

by Anonymousreply 231July 14, 2022 4:37 PM

Samantha Ware is quite beautiful. She has worked in Book of Mormon and Hamilton since Glee. I would like to find clips of her in Hamilton but none seem to be up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232July 14, 2022 4:40 PM

R159, the Tovah Feldshuh picnic story has been told exactly the same way since I started telling it here a few years ago. I heard it from someone who was in Romeo & Juliet at the American Shakespeare Festival with her. Terri Sue also apparently had a rep as a backstabbing bitch backstage at the musical Cyrano at the Palace a few years earlier. I remember being told it was an Eve Harrington type thing with Leigh Beery who was playing Roxanne. And a crew friend on Law & Order said they all absolutely loathed Feldshuh. As she put it “Nobody could be as cunty as Elaine Stritch was but Feldshuh came close. Patti LuPone was just a pain in the ass.”

by Anonymousreply 233July 14, 2022 4:42 PM

Isn't Tovah notorious for seeking personal assistants on a regular basis because they keep quitting?

by Anonymousreply 234July 14, 2022 4:53 PM

r208 said all these things

[quote] Aggression feels the same. They all can cause trauma.

[quote] Now if you do not get it you really need some cognitive help.

[quote] are you serious or are you just stupid?

[quote] Bullying feels the same no matter how it is used.

Yes, indeed, r208. It does.

by Anonymousreply 235July 14, 2022 4:54 PM

To be clear: the NFL player in question raped no one. Even the NFL admitted that no force was ever used. And, two grand juries refused to indict him.

by Anonymousreply 236July 14, 2022 4:55 PM

Part of Tovah’s personal assistant problem is that she expects them to be on call 24/7, but only pays them by the hour and the pay was like an intern. She expected them to come to the theater with her when she was performing and be grateful that they are working for a star. She used to advertise on Playbill.com all the time.

by Anonymousreply 237July 14, 2022 5:06 PM

r229, true, just like no one has said what transpired before Lea's behavior in all the many, MANY other examples people have given of her being a jerk. It's certainly possible that all the people Lea Michele encountered were nasty assholes and poor helpless Lea had no choice but to respond in kind.

But the old adage "If everyone you encounter is an asshole, maybe YOU'RE the asshole" seems relevant. If poor Lea was really provoked so many times by so many people, it brings us back to her being the asshole.

by Anonymousreply 238July 14, 2022 5:09 PM

There’s something to be said in that Lea was given the biggest platform to audition for Funny Girl, with the show Glee, and nobody stepped forward and offered her the show.

by Anonymousreply 239July 14, 2022 5:16 PM

r227 you are a stubborn idiot.

by Anonymousreply 240July 14, 2022 5:18 PM

r219 That sounds like the letter David Hyde Pierce used to force the Tonys to give a performance spot to that musical he directed

r237 Ah, the Lady Gaga guide to HR

by Anonymousreply 241July 14, 2022 5:24 PM

[quote]R236 To be clear: the NFL player in question raped no one. Even the NFL admitted that no force was ever used. And, two grand juries refused to indict him.

Better safe than sorry.

LOCK ‘IM UP!

by Anonymousreply 242July 14, 2022 5:39 PM

Karen Olivio is now known as KO?

by Anonymousreply 243July 14, 2022 5:42 PM

This thread needs some Kessler Twins action...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244July 14, 2022 5:43 PM

They could have made a fortune hooking!

by Anonymousreply 245July 14, 2022 5:47 PM

It doesn't get better than this...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246July 14, 2022 5:52 PM

[quote]Better safe than sorry. LOCK ‘IM UP!

Spoken like a true MAGAT

by Anonymousreply 247July 14, 2022 5:59 PM

Bidding Farewell to His Theatrical Flock:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248July 14, 2022 6:04 PM

Considering the rumor (fact?) that Lea Michele, to many the obvious choice, was not cast as Fanny Brice originally because of her terrible reputation: Does anyone think that disappointment might have taught her her lesson and she'll be on her best behavior now? Or can she not help herself? I wonder.

by Anonymousreply 249July 14, 2022 6:09 PM

Thank you R240 - have a good day too.

Has anyone heard anything about The Kite Runner? It's on tdf and I loved the book.

by Anonymousreply 250July 14, 2022 6:09 PM

I worked many years as an extra on As The World Turns. Eveyone I dealt with was very nice, with the exception of Rex Smith and Vulva Toadstool.

by Anonymousreply 251July 14, 2022 6:26 PM

Spill the dirt on Rex Smith. Were you trying to touch his big manhood?

by Anonymousreply 252July 14, 2022 6:31 PM

R224, Atlantic does not have any specific artistic profile or agenda for scripts. It is all just whatever the AD likes. So that makes the selection process more haphazard, with shows frequently dropped or added down to the wire.

So a delay is not surprising.

by Anonymousreply 253July 14, 2022 6:42 PM

Neither of these whores are fit to spit shine my heels!

Back in my day we had talent AND drive! We showed up for EVERY performance!

by Anonymousreply 254July 14, 2022 6:46 PM

Great point, R219. She doesn’t write “It would be great if Nicky Arnstein were played a 350 lbs. Patton Oswalt type.” These people are so ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 255July 14, 2022 6:53 PM

Damnit! Perinos is MY place!

by Anonymousreply 256July 14, 2022 7:07 PM

R188-Actually, I just realized Shaiman's "Some Like It Hot" sounds a lot like "Grand Hotel's "We'll Take A Glass Together"!

by Anonymousreply 257July 14, 2022 7:07 PM

R225-Because it's July, they sent out renewal notices in May, and every other NYC subscription theatre company has announced. except LCT, which is a shit-show.

by Anonymousreply 258July 14, 2022 7:11 PM

R221, that's the first time I've written it and the first time I have posted on this thread. So you're making up crap in your own head. If you doubt it, block me and see my posts.

by Anonymousreply 259July 14, 2022 7:20 PM

[quote]Excellent point. I imagine this writer would have been a lot less thrilled at Beanie's casting in the role of Fanny if the Nicky Arnstein in this production was also "full-bodied" (in a fat way rather than a muscular way). Which makes her a blatant hypocrite.

James Corden IS Nick Arnstein!

by Anonymousreply 260July 14, 2022 7:20 PM

Sorry, r256, the only thing left of Perino's is the sign.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261July 14, 2022 7:31 PM

I don’t hear that, R257.

by Anonymousreply 262July 14, 2022 7:38 PM

[quote]Lea Michele is a toxic bullying bitch. She’s not going to change.

Now imagine if you actually knew or or even met her.

[quote]Considering the rumor (fact?) that Lea Michele, to many the obvious choice, was not cast as Fanny Brice originally because of her terrible reputation: Does anyone think that disappointment might have taught her her lesson and she'll be on her best behavior now? Or can she not help herself? I wonder.

OK what is it? Was it her bad behavior or did Beanies family bankroll the fiasco so Lea was never in consideration?

by Anonymousreply 263July 14, 2022 7:45 PM

Ugh, we're in for months now of talking about Lea So Farty. An unappetizing topic.

by Anonymousreply 264July 14, 2022 8:18 PM

I cannot wait for Beanie to leave, Lea to come in, sell a few tix, and the not-very-good FUNNY GIRL to close, so we can move onto something more interesting.

Which is to say.... ANYTHING else.

by Anonymousreply 265July 14, 2022 8:22 PM

R263, why are you asking me? I've never said Beanie's family bankrolled the production so she'd get the part. And only the second quotation is mine. Are you under the impression that everyone who posts here is all the same person?

by Anonymousreply 266July 14, 2022 8:36 PM

R265 Let's talk about something we never talk about....FOLLIES!

by Anonymousreply 267July 14, 2022 8:38 PM

I saw Follies a few years ago, it was boring.

by Anonymousreply 268July 14, 2022 8:51 PM

Hey, here's another Scopitone for a palate cleanser!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269July 14, 2022 9:16 PM

and in other "news"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270July 14, 2022 9:22 PM

A community theatre in Brooklyn is casting Into the Woods for an October production. I thought if a show was running on broadway then nearby local productions were prohibited.

by Anonymousreply 271July 14, 2022 9:29 PM

[quote]There’s something to be said in that Lea was given the biggest platform to audition for Funny Girl, with the show Glee, and nobody stepped forward and offered her the show.

But there was also the significant fact that many (most?) people feel Lea's other big audition for FUNNY GIRL -- that is, her performance of "Don't Rain on My Parade" on the Tony Awards telecast -- was a big flop. FWIW, I think that fiasco wasn't really her fault, as she never should have been made to sing that song while walking down the aisle of that cavernous theater.

by Anonymousreply 272July 14, 2022 9:39 PM

LOL!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273July 14, 2022 10:50 PM

[quote] I cannot wait for Beanie to leave, Lea to come in, sell a few tix, and the not-very-good FUNNY GIRL to close, so we can move onto something more interesting. Which is to say.... ANYTHING else.

You mean like "Into The Woods" is the greatest production to ever been produced and it will run now and forever?

by Anonymousreply 274July 14, 2022 11:05 PM

Who else is on the Equity “Do not work for” list?

by Anonymousreply 275July 14, 2022 11:35 PM

Karen Olivo?

by Anonymousreply 276July 15, 2022 12:21 AM

There are rumours coming out of the August Wilson that someone shit in Beanie’s wig.

by Anonymousreply 277July 15, 2022 12:32 AM

[quote]THIS DAY IN BROADWAY HISTORY: In 1977, a power failure caused black outs throughout New York City, halting several Broadway shows in the middle of their second acts.

Wow, I remember that night well. I was the musical director for a show running on Broadway and during the second act, all the lights west out and the emergency theater lights came on. While there was no panic, it took a while for us to realize what was going on. The stage managers finally came out on stage to say that this situation was city-wide and that everyone should leave the theater and try to get home. And because there was no amplification, many people in the audience didn't quite hear or understand. That's when our lead actor stepped forward and in his best stage voice with full projection carefully explained the situation. He did a great job and everyone was helpful in evacuating the theater without a problem.

One thing happened that I don't often see reported. About 45 minutes later, a group of the cast and crew were standing in front of the theater trying to figure out how to get home, when all of a sudden, all the lights came back on in the theater district - maybe for 3 minutes. I remember the house manager and crew using that time to quickly turn everything off in the house, lower the security gates, and lock up the theater. A problem solved.

A group of us walked up Broadway, in the middle of the street, to our apartments on the Upper West Side (I had a sublet on W 83rd street). It never felt dangerous, but it was a hot, humid night and we were uncomfortable. I've mentioned on DL before, that on that night, my BF and I had incredible hot, sweaty, nasty sex in our un-airconditioned apartment that I still remember to this day.

by Anonymousreply 278July 15, 2022 12:34 AM

[quote] I've mentioned on DL before, that on that night, my BF and I had incredible hot, sweaty, nasty sex in our un-airconditioned apartment that I still remember to this day.

Yes! I was just starting to date a gorgeous actor in the summer of '95 in Chicago when we had our lengthy blackout - and we had the most amazing sex I've probably had in my entire life.

Anyway.

by Anonymousreply 279July 15, 2022 12:42 AM

^and then he got aids and died

by Anonymousreply 280July 15, 2022 12:43 AM

r243, I didn't know what you were talking about, but finally saw this article. Sheesh. She is a mess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281July 15, 2022 1:38 AM

r278, great story with a great ending. Thanks for sharing.

by Anonymousreply 282July 15, 2022 1:40 AM

I want a key to the city presented to Lea on her opening night… maybe a scroll stating a street’s been named after her. I want the stage smothered in flowers. And all upon her first entrance - don’t even wait for the curtain call!

I want that Beanster never to forget how she tried to murder Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 283July 15, 2022 1:41 AM

I had a dream my life would be

So different from this hell I'm living

So different now from what it seemed

Now life has killed the dream

I dreamed

by Anonymousreply 284July 15, 2022 1:43 AM

R281 and They are Gender Fluid!

by Anonymousreply 285July 15, 2022 1:48 AM

R284! Hilarious! I luff you!!

by Anonymousreply 286July 15, 2022 1:50 AM

r285, you're right. I should correct that before anyone yells at me.

THEY are a mess.

by Anonymousreply 287July 15, 2022 1:51 AM

Lea wasn't cast in FG initially because the only way producer Sonia Friedman could finance the revival was with the Feldstein family money. And actually, Sonia would have been happy to let the mediocre FG revival she produced in London die there, had not the Feldsteins come to her to initiate the project on Broadway. So there was never an opportunity for Lea or anyone else to be considered for Fanny because it was only ever financed with Beanie as the star.

I know I've said all this here before but I see there are still posters on these threads who are in denial or ill-informed. Someday soon, all the truth will come out.

by Anonymousreply 288July 15, 2022 1:54 AM

Rolling, rolling, rolling...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289July 15, 2022 2:00 AM

KO? WTF is KO?

by Anonymousreply 290July 15, 2022 2:06 AM

r290, a mess. Keep up.

by Anonymousreply 291July 15, 2022 2:07 AM

This is the first I'm hearing about it. How long has she been going by KO?

by Anonymousreply 292July 15, 2022 2:11 AM

Isn't is really, "wtf ARE KO?"

by Anonymousreply 293July 15, 2022 2:14 AM

All kidding aside, this is the first I've heard of it too. I see their Twitter and Instagram also say KO now. Maybe this is their KO coming out?

by Anonymousreply 294July 15, 2022 2:15 AM

I KO'ed the bitch right out of NYC but she stupidly came back.

by Anonymousreply 295July 15, 2022 2:20 AM

How about TKOing KO? Better than that stupid OK, Boomer crap.

by Anonymousreply 296July 15, 2022 2:28 AM

OK, KO

by Anonymousreply 297July 15, 2022 2:49 AM

I quit the theater because I’m desperate for attention and then I come back to the theater because I’m desperate for attention and then I quit the theater because I’m desperate for attention then I reduce my name to initials because I’m desperate for attention and then I come back to the theater, because I am desperate for some more attention.

by Anonymousreply 298July 15, 2022 3:13 AM

My dear KO, why don't you simply try acting?

Oh, right.

by Anonymousreply 299July 15, 2022 3:15 AM

Does KO dance, peeples?

by Anonymousreply 300July 15, 2022 3:16 AM

What’s the deal with Gavin Creel’s awful bleached dye job? I thought it was for Into the Woods but he had it that way before.

by Anonymousreply 301July 15, 2022 4:01 AM

I want to see this Brazilian open air production of Evita.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302July 15, 2022 4:22 AM

I love you r278

by Anonymousreply 303July 15, 2022 4:28 AM

[quote]The Hollywood Reporter reports that Actors' Equity will place Paradise Sqaure producer Garth Drabinsky on the company's Do Not Work list due to "outstanding payments and benefits, and a continued pattern of abuse and neglect that created an unsafe and toxic work environment. The move to put Drabinsky, who was imprisoned for 17 months in Canada after being convcited of fraud and forgery as a producer, comes after the production failed to pay their salary via weekly direct deposit on Thursday morning.

Holy Christ, how many errors can you spot in those two sentences? BWW is such a fucking joke.

by Anonymousreply 304July 15, 2022 4:43 AM

R288 speaks the truth.

by Anonymousreply 305July 15, 2022 5:26 AM

The whole "fluid" "non-binary" "queer" thing is so fun because it's just so convenient! You can declare a new identity whenever you want, no questions asked. Go with the more oppressed identity as it suits your needs!

by Anonymousreply 306July 15, 2022 5:45 AM

Is KO short for Kaopectate?

by Anonymousreply 307July 15, 2022 6:37 AM

A cast member of Paradise Square is shocking to find out Garth Drabinsky might not be totally trustworthy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308July 15, 2022 8:16 AM

KO is the kooky hit of next season!

by Anonymousreply 309July 15, 2022 11:07 AM

R283, it's the producers who tried to murder Broadway. Beanie was merely the tool.

by Anonymousreply 310July 15, 2022 11:10 AM

I just saw that there's yet [italic] another [/italic] Beanie thread

Is this the best thing that has ever, ever happened to DL? Quick search shows all these -- and that doesn't include the ones with her name not in the title like "Is the DL happy now?"

It's been juicy but time to move on, no?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311July 15, 2022 12:01 PM

"I recently watched her playing a young twentysomething in a 1976-77 era episode of FAMILY"

I love that episode of FAMILY! Poor Kate got herself into such a mess for being a good friend! And how Doug disapproved of the whole business!

More talk of FAMILY!

by Anonymousreply 312July 15, 2022 12:14 PM

"Try to remember the tune even a second later."

You forget it even as you're listening to it.

by Anonymousreply 313July 15, 2022 12:23 PM

I've worked with Tovah a few times over the years, going back to the late 1990s, and while I'd never classify her as a harmful bitch, she is a tiresome handful. Just very needy and not terribly sensitive to the temperature in the room, if you know what I mean. She's well-cast as Mrs. Brice, if literally too old, but the problem will be reining her in, as she instinctively overacts horribly onstage.

by Anonymousreply 314July 15, 2022 12:34 PM

Jackie Hoffman’s snarky put downs of Feldshuh as Mrs. Brice should be quite delicious.

by Anonymousreply 315July 15, 2022 12:42 PM

I will forever defend Tovah because of her performance in the very stellar original Bway cast of the very mediocre Lend Me a Tenor. She and all of those actors were perfection: Phil Bosco, Jane Connell, Victor Garber, Ron Holgate, J. Smith, all when Zaks was at the top of his comedy game.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316July 15, 2022 12:45 PM

And while we’re being nice to Tovah, she was sensational in Crazy Ex Girlfriend

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317July 15, 2022 12:59 PM

Was Jackie Hoffman in the running for replacement Mrs Brice?

by Anonymousreply 318July 15, 2022 1:37 PM

Has Sammie Ware weighed in on Lea Michele's Cory Monteith tribute yet? Lea CANNOT be allowed to present herself as human - only VICTIMS are human!!

by Anonymousreply 319July 15, 2022 1:40 PM

Tovah played "Yentl" on Broadway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 320July 15, 2022 2:08 PM

It is not the end of July yet and Beanie is filming Merrily which will be finished after most of us are dead so there will be open season on her for a very long time.

by Anonymousreply 321July 15, 2022 2:24 PM

Tovah was quite good as Yentl, and just fine in Sarava. There are precious few opportunities for her to suck as Rosie Brice.

by Anonymousreply 322July 15, 2022 2:37 PM

R318, No, but Dustin Hoffman was.

by Anonymousreply 323July 15, 2022 2:40 PM

Tovah was who denied Lucie Arnaz her Tony nomination for They’re Playing Our Song.

Broadway was never the same, quite frankly

by Anonymousreply 324July 15, 2022 2:43 PM

Now...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325July 15, 2022 3:44 PM

I have the SARAVA! Playbill signed by Miss Tovah. I saw the show as a kid before "stagedooring" was a thing, so she signed it at The Broadway Cares Equity Fights AIDS Annual Flea Market.

by Anonymousreply 326July 15, 2022 5:01 PM

[quote]Tovah played "Yentl" on Broadway.

Everything always comes back to Babs.

by Anonymousreply 327July 15, 2022 5:08 PM

EVERYTHING ALWAYS COMES BACK TO FOLLIES.

by Anonymousreply 328July 15, 2022 5:12 PM

Stagedooring has always been a thing, r326

by Anonymousreply 329July 15, 2022 5:12 PM

[quote]Stagedooring has always been a thing

You’re thinking of backdooring

by Anonymousreply 330July 15, 2022 5:19 PM

It just hasn't always been a verb.

by Anonymousreply 331July 15, 2022 6:21 PM

[quote]Stagedooring has always been a thing, [R326]

But stagedoor appearances have mostly been axed post-COVID, yes?

by Anonymousreply 332July 15, 2022 6:21 PM

[quote] Stagedooring has always been a thing

Yes, but it used to be something only theater insiders knew about.

Now hoi polloi considers it part of the experience they paid for. So they overcrowd the doors and ruin it for everyone.

I actually blame eBay for drawing attention to the stage doors, because it first started to get bad when people started bringing multiple items to sign to stage doors, usually without having seen the performance

by Anonymousreply 333July 15, 2022 6:21 PM

I remember stagedooring as a gayling teenager from the suburbs. It was wildly exciting lol. I cannot imagine doing it as an adult.

by Anonymousreply 334July 15, 2022 6:23 PM

Still isn’t, r331.

by Anonymousreply 335July 15, 2022 6:23 PM

If you to see how much our culture has changed, just look at Lend Me A Tenor. It was a comedy about two men in blackface getting confused with each other. It opened on Broadway in 1989, and there was a revival in 2010.

by Anonymousreply 336July 15, 2022 6:32 PM

[quote]Who else is on the Equity “Do not work for” list?—Beanie feldstein

Soon, Beanie Feldstein.

by Anonymousreply 337July 15, 2022 6:33 PM

Eve Harrington knew all about it way back in 1950.

by Anonymousreply 338July 15, 2022 7:05 PM

So why are there people insisting Beanie's father had nothing to do with this revival? It has been common knowledge for a long time. And there's no way in hell that somebody so unprepared and unsuited for a starring role was given a Broadway production of their favorite role any other way thereby entering into theatrical history and infamy.

by Anonymousreply 339July 15, 2022 7:21 PM

R337, Jeremy Piven

by Anonymousreply 340July 15, 2022 7:38 PM

[quote]Stagedooring has always been a thing,

Perhaps I'm just strange but I've never given two shits about meeting the stars at the stage door after a show. I've been going to theater for years and all I want to do after a show is over is get the heck out of there and go home. But of course, to each his own.

By the way, when I was leaving "Girl from the North Country" about a month ago, I was already across the street when I saw Mare Winningham come out of the stage door and greet who I guess were friends of hers because she ran up and hugged them. I assume she then turned to all of the people standing there waiting with their Playbills to be autographed but by then I was long gone.

by Anonymousreply 341July 15, 2022 7:55 PM

My friend was shocked when his parents took him to see a tour of The Sound of Music, and the nuns came out of the stage door in full makeup, looking like WHORES!

by Anonymousreply 342July 15, 2022 8:08 PM

I have a friend in DC who is the ultimate "stagedoorer". Even though I worked in NYC theater for many years, whenever I go to see a show with him, I program in at least 30 mutes for him to wait for the actors to come out and then to schmooze with each and every one of them. I simply move away from the crowd and sit down somewhere to read my email.

Once, while I was sitting waiting for my friend to finish, one of the actors recognized me from a show we had done together and came over to talk. When he realized that I was with my friend, he laughed and said that all the actors, crew, and house staff knew my friend and affectionately tolerated him, especially because he would often see a show several times. The actor commented that if the others had known my extensive background in theater, they would have preferred to talk with me. That comment made my day.

by Anonymousreply 343July 15, 2022 8:12 PM

I think right about now. Beanie is stuffing her fist up her vage

by Anonymousreply 344July 15, 2022 8:38 PM

The Butcher Boy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 345July 15, 2022 8:45 PM

Beanie can still salvage this. Her dad can buy up the film rights ( if he hasn’t already) and tailor a true superstar spectacular around her, the likes of which we haven’t seen in ages.

It will all be pre-recorded, which takes care of the heavy lifting, and maybe Donna Murphy’s available to sweeten the mix?

by Anonymousreply 346July 15, 2022 8:54 PM

Yes.

Young audiences accustomed to the Marvel Comic Universe and Pixar films will simply flock to a lavish remake of FUNNY GIRL, starring box office boffo Beanie!

by Anonymousreply 347July 15, 2022 8:59 PM

Maybe if she wears spandex r347

by Anonymousreply 348July 15, 2022 9:06 PM

[quote]It will all be pre-recorded, which takes care of the heavy lifting, and maybe Donna Murphy’s available to sweeten the mix?

We're not going with some has-been like Murphy. Adele will be hired to sing the entire score and the notes that Beanie hits that are mostly correct will be layered over Adele's voice.

by Anonymousreply 349July 15, 2022 9:09 PM

I wish the comments that include the name "Tovah" could be edited to read Danielle and Daniel Melnick because she will always be jack McCoy's adversary (and stabbing survivor) to me! Plus it would make me to read that the liberal legal eagle from L&O, had done musical theatre.

by Anonymousreply 350July 15, 2022 9:33 PM

I work backstage on Broadway and I'm always amused when I exit the stage door after a show to see the crazed smiles of stagedoorers deflate when they realize I'm nobody.

by Anonymousreply 351July 15, 2022 9:35 PM

[quote] Tovah was who denied Lucie Arnaz her Tony nomination for They’re Playing Our Song.

It was Alexis Smith who denied Lucie the Tony nomination. Alexis already had won for Follies and that show she was nominated for ran barely a month.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352July 15, 2022 9:38 PM

Why do never talk about Nick Barasch

by Anonymousreply 353July 15, 2022 9:38 PM

I had a friend who *loved* stagedooring. I used to stand off to the side when she would do it because I couldn't care less.

We went to see "Wait Until Dark" on Broadway. My friend wanted Quentin Tarantino's autograph. The door opens, a stage manager comes out and says, "Miss Tomei will not be signing any autographs." 30 seconds later, Marisa Tomei comes out, acts surprised that there are people waiting by the stagedoor and starts signing autographs. I bet that stage manager wanted to deck her.

by Anonymousreply 354July 15, 2022 9:42 PM

For those who predicted Beanie would leave even earlier than July 31... place your bets if she will return at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355July 15, 2022 9:46 PM

I stagedoored exactly twice as a teen ions ago: Anthony Perkins ROMANTIC COMEDY and Farrah Fawcett in EXTREMITIES. Still have both playbills/showbills (anyone remember Showbill?).

by Anonymousreply 356July 15, 2022 9:49 PM

Was she examined by Jeremy Pivens' doctor?

by Anonymousreply 357July 15, 2022 9:49 PM

R352, the scandal about Tovah getting nominated for Sarava was that the show never officially opened… another one of those effed up decisions of the constantly fickle American Theatre Wing.

by Anonymousreply 358July 15, 2022 9:50 PM

Neni Leaks should be casted as Ms Bryce

by Anonymousreply 359July 15, 2022 9:54 PM

Did you comment on how Anthony Perkins' ass was in "Romantic Comedy", as he had a nude scene.

JEEESUSUS, what would Elaine Stritch say about Beanie? So does this tonsil condition take her out until the last week? It's supposed contagious for 5-10 per a web search.

by Anonymousreply 360July 15, 2022 9:57 PM

supposedly, that is

by Anonymousreply 361July 15, 2022 9:58 PM

No, Sarava did open, but it played endless previews. The producers knew what they had and knew the reviews would be brutal but the previews were selling well, so they kept extending them. It was the first time anyone had tried this stunt and the critics weren't having it. Most of them eventually bought their own tickets and reviewed it anyway. After that, the show closed in a few months.

by Anonymousreply 362July 15, 2022 9:58 PM

I'll start. I think Nick Barasch is very talented and cute as hell.

by Anonymousreply 363July 15, 2022 9:58 PM

Straight, r363. Pics with his gf on IG.

by Anonymousreply 364July 15, 2022 10:00 PM

That's fine, R354. It doesn't make him any less talented or less cute.

by Anonymousreply 365July 15, 2022 10:04 PM

IBDB says Saravá played 49 previews and 129 performances.

by Anonymousreply 366July 15, 2022 10:10 PM

Wasn't one or both of the main guys in "Sarava" nude or partially nude in the show? Don't remember who played them. Another Tovah show, "Yentl" had John Shea full-frontal from what I've heard. He was a real cutie.

by Anonymousreply 367July 15, 2022 10:12 PM

So the Beanster is out this weekend.

Will anyone comfort Ramin while he handles the stress of all this Funny Girl drama?

by Anonymousreply 368July 15, 2022 10:13 PM

There goes that backstabbing Julie Benko again...posting on social media! Announcing she's going on! Wishing Beanie well! Will they never rein her in???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 369July 15, 2022 10:15 PM

Sarava is about about a widow who remarries. Then her first husband comes back as a ghost. The ghost showed his butt during a dance number. At the time it was considered risque but not outrageous.

by Anonymousreply 370July 15, 2022 10:17 PM

I thought I heard the second husband showed his butt too. P.J. Benjamin maybe?

by Anonymousreply 371July 15, 2022 10:19 PM

I was going to say Sarava sounds like "Dona Flor & Her Two Husbands"...and I see it was indeed based on that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372July 15, 2022 10:19 PM

Interesting. I don't think I've ever seen young Tovah. L&O over a decade later was the first time I saw her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 373July 15, 2022 10:22 PM

Tovah was quite good in the tv mini-series "Holocaust" playing one of the Jews who fought back with arms against the Nazis. That's the series with Meryl Streep, Rosemary Harris, etc.

by Anonymousreply 374July 15, 2022 10:23 PM

[quote]Beanie can still salvage this. Her dad can buy up the film rights ( if he hasn’t already) and tailor a true superstar spectacular around her, the likes of which we haven’t seen in ages.

No way Columbia would sell the rights to anyone named Beanie. But they could buy the rights to the British production that was taped and played in cinemas and just green screen Beanie into it and erase Sheridan Smith.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 375July 15, 2022 10:24 PM

Ah, that was the same link as r325, which I missed. Sorry, r325.

by Anonymousreply 376July 15, 2022 10:24 PM

Beanie should never be allowed near a Broadway stage again after pulling this shit. It feels like she’s only shown up for 15 performances.

by Anonymousreply 377July 15, 2022 10:26 PM

Um idk what insta ur looking at but there are no pics of Nick barasch with a girlfriend

by Anonymousreply 378July 15, 2022 10:26 PM

That's why the previews sold well. The film had been very popular and the commercial made it look like fun. Then reviews started coming out telling people it was actually a load of crap and ticket sales dropped badly once people were told they shouldn't enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 379July 15, 2022 10:26 PM

Possible scenario: Beanie has to have her tonsils removed next week and, unfortunately, will not be able to return for her final performances.

by Anonymousreply 380July 15, 2022 10:27 PM

Now I’ve heard EVERYTHING.

by Anonymousreply 381July 15, 2022 10:28 PM

[quote]whenever I go to see a show with him, I program in at least 30 mutes for him to wait for the actors to come out

Why would you need to be accompanied by 30 silent people for that?

by Anonymousreply 382July 15, 2022 10:28 PM

Do people still get their tonsils out? I thought that mostly went out with Beaver Cleaver, who then was looking forward to eating ice cream afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 383July 15, 2022 10:29 PM

Uhhhh

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 384July 15, 2022 10:29 PM

Oh fuck you, r352.

Regards,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 385July 15, 2022 10:30 PM

JEEEEEEEZ!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 386July 15, 2022 10:31 PM

Tovah is part of "The Walking Dead" family and get $40 a signature at conventions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 387July 15, 2022 10:31 PM

What a weirdly underrehearsed and fumbling clip at r345.

I love both the book and film of The Butcher Boy, but I’m having a hard time picturing it as a musical.

by Anonymousreply 388July 15, 2022 10:32 PM

Now I’m having images of Beanie in “Sarava”…

by Anonymousreply 389July 15, 2022 10:37 PM

(Or, a musical on her Broadway foray could be called “Butcher Girl”?)

by Anonymousreply 390July 15, 2022 10:38 PM

[quote]BDB says Saravá played 49 previews and 129 performances.

It was ridiculous, most shows had one to two weeks of previews.

by Anonymousreply 391July 15, 2022 10:39 PM

Tovah wouldn't have been cast in it per today's casting obsessive-compulsives, though she could always say she was Sephardic (spanish) Jewish. Same with Mandy for "Evita" if they were casting today.

by Anonymousreply 392July 15, 2022 10:39 PM

If we’d been spared Mandy entirely, that would have been fine.

by Anonymousreply 393July 15, 2022 10:44 PM

And at the last minute Page Six reveals Beanie actually had her tonsils out when she was a child.

by Anonymousreply 394July 15, 2022 10:48 PM

So now they'll call it pharyngitis to try to correct themselves.

by Anonymousreply 395July 15, 2022 10:50 PM

r394, are you kidding (who can tell these days?) or do you have a link? (I looked, I promise.)

by Anonymousreply 396July 15, 2022 10:52 PM

I looked, too. That would be a huge case of "BUSTED!" if true.

by Anonymousreply 397July 15, 2022 10:53 PM

I predicted she'd be gone by this weekend. Wish I'd laid money down.

by Anonymousreply 398July 15, 2022 10:55 PM

I think r394 is just projecting that happening.

by Anonymousreply 399July 15, 2022 10:55 PM

Even if it's laryngitis, how could even a great singer sing that difficult, demanding score after a weekend?

by Anonymousreply 400July 15, 2022 10:56 PM

Don't they sometimes grow back?

by Anonymousreply 401July 15, 2022 10:58 PM

R401-Sure, that's what happened after they cut off her ass.

by Anonymousreply 402July 15, 2022 11:00 PM

Slight complications to the infected tonsils, doctors orders to leave the show for fear of harming those golden cords…you know it’s a’commah!

by Anonymousreply 403July 15, 2022 11:05 PM

That FAT WHORE!

by Anonymousreply 404July 15, 2022 11:17 PM

Lisha! In shummer shtock! (Who knew?)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 405July 15, 2022 11:44 PM

This role is bad for Beanie’s health.

Now, tonsillitis??!!

Poor poor Beanie

by Anonymousreply 406July 15, 2022 11:53 PM

Poor, poor unfortunate Bean-ala. All this and had to grow up in the same household as Jonah Hill. Girl is cursed,I tells ya.

by Anonymousreply 407July 15, 2022 11:54 PM

R352, But, Alexis received unanimous rave reviews, while Platinum did not.

by Anonymousreply 408July 16, 2022 12:20 AM

I remember the They're Playing Our Song producers taking out a large ad in the NYT that chastised the Tony nominating committee for snubbing Lucie Arnaz.

by Anonymousreply 409July 16, 2022 12:23 AM

"Tovah was quite good as Yentl, and just fine in Sarava."

And (in films), wonderful in KISSING JESSICA STEIN. Her monologue where she accepts her daughter's choice, all the while grieving for the grandchildren she will never know is a masterful exercise in acting.

by Anonymousreply 410July 16, 2022 12:25 AM

Lucie shouldn’t be upset. They snubbed her mother as well.

by Anonymousreply 411July 16, 2022 12:30 AM

[quote]Beanie should never be allowed near a Broadway stage again after pulling this shit.

Beanie is box office poison!

by Anonymousreply 412July 16, 2022 12:45 AM

"No Beans for You!"

by Anonymousreply 413July 16, 2022 12:56 AM

Guys! I think I’m coming down with dysentery! Oh, it would be just awful if I didn’t get to finish my run as Fanny!

by Anonymousreply 414July 16, 2022 1:00 AM

My prostate is acting up so I need to be out a week or so

by Anonymousreply 415July 16, 2022 1:17 AM

I've got malaria! Oh, no, wait -- mono!

by Anonymousreply 416July 16, 2022 1:33 AM

Actually, tonsils can grow back but it's rare and it's even rarer that they grow back full size. A lot of it has to do with the original surgery. Sometimes only partial tonsillectomies are performed initially and that's when they are more likely to grow back, sometimes years later.

by Anonymousreply 417July 16, 2022 1:35 AM

For someone who had so much good will when she was announced, it’s shocking that people are still Team Beanie after this. She clearly is being a brat and making shit up so she doesn’t have to perform anymore. This is just astonishing unprofessionalism.

by Anonymousreply 418July 16, 2022 1:47 AM

She was slow motion fired in the most public way.

If she decides to split rather than work out her notice, good for her.

What would Patti do?

by Anonymousreply 419July 16, 2022 2:04 AM

I would LOVE to hear Patti’s analysis of Beanie’s casting and (absentee) run.

by Anonymousreply 420July 16, 2022 2:06 AM

Patti would play out the contract and bitch every single moment of it.

by Anonymousreply 421July 16, 2022 2:22 AM

This thread needs some Della Reese...gowns...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 422July 16, 2022 3:44 AM

Beanie looked quite happy in her video announcing the crazy contagious tonsillitis that will prevent her from going on stage this weekend. Very strange tone.

by Anonymousreply 423July 16, 2022 3:44 AM

But was Tovah's delivery of "Avigdor, wait!" internationally acclaimed and truly iconic?

by Anonymousreply 424July 16, 2022 3:51 AM

I don’t get Tovah Feldshuh and Adrienne Barbeau mixed up, but I can see how I could.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 425July 16, 2022 4:02 AM

I wonder if Adrienne Barbeau ever did any summer stock during her hiatus? I don’t recall her in any of the many ads people have dug up.

by Anonymousreply 426July 16, 2022 4:13 AM

I've stubbed my toe! I must forego the rest of the run!

by Anonymousreply 427July 16, 2022 4:18 AM

Beanie's behavior! It's a shonda, I tell you!

by Anonymousreply 428July 16, 2022 4:20 AM

Adrienne's stacked Yeshiva boy might have required even more suspension of disbelief than Barbra's 40 year old one.

by Anonymousreply 429July 16, 2022 4:23 AM

How’da like THEM eggrolls, Mr. Goldstone?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 430July 16, 2022 4:39 AM

Did Della Reese ever appear in the legitimate theater?

by Anonymousreply 431July 16, 2022 4:44 AM

Well, Arlene Francis at R431, here she's described as one of "Broadway's most exciting stars" in an appearance with Maureen McGovern and DL fave Lucie Arnaz.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 432July 16, 2022 5:44 AM

The Beanie saga has become one of the most embarrassingly unprofessional things I have ever seen on Broadway. It's past time for the producers to pay her off and say nice having you, YOU'RE GONE. They really must think there's no such thing as bad publicity.

I can't say I haven't enjoyed the cheap melodrama though!

by Anonymousreply 433July 16, 2022 7:37 AM

[R2] I totally disagree with your assessment of Barbra's version compared to Lea's. Lea does not have the vocal range or beauty that Babs had in her heyday. Have you watched Funny Girl the movie? Her vocals are hardly "light, airy and easy". Barbra also has a nuance and sophistication to her voice that Lea doesn't have. Lea's voice is nasal and less powerful. I saw her when she sang at the Tony's and no one was impressed. No standing ovation. I predict the stand in will prove to be better than Miss Lea- thang. I still can't believe she was offered the part. Ryan Murphy must have paid for it to happen.

by Anonymousreply 434July 16, 2022 7:48 AM

Actually R362, Joe Papp had done this previously with his 1974 production of MacBeth with Christopher Walken. The entire run was played in previews and he only invited the press on closing night which was the “opening”. So canny producers has done it previous to Sarava.

by Anonymousreply 435July 16, 2022 7:56 AM

What would Sondheim think of this FG fiasco?

by Anonymousreply 436July 16, 2022 8:02 AM

I never realised tonsillitis was an infectious disease.

by Anonymousreply 437July 16, 2022 8:03 AM

Maybe everyone was more tolerant for what Papp did with Walken because Papp was running a non-commercial, formally Non-Profit show Off-Broadway. And he was Jpe Fucking Papp, who had done more for theater for the masses than anyone else in New York in decades, if not ever.

But the Sarava producers were just shamelessly squeezing every penny they could out of their shit show before the inevitable.

by Anonymousreply 438July 16, 2022 8:20 AM

From the moment that Beanie's casting was announced, DL correctly predicted that the first Broadway revival of "Funny Girl" would lay a huge egg. But even DL didn't foresee what a tawdry melodrama it would turn into.

by Anonymousreply 439July 16, 2022 8:25 AM

Does Beanie like Chipotle?

by Anonymousreply 440July 16, 2022 9:28 AM

Patti r419 would do her job. She still performed Sunset in London after Lloyd Webber fired her from the Broadway version. Friends saw the final performance and have never seen anything like it - she was on fire and the audience adored her. That’s being professional.

by Anonymousreply 441July 16, 2022 9:39 AM

Sorry r441, but that’s not correct. Patti did stop performing Sunset Boulevard when the Glenn Close news came to light. I think she missed a week of performances before her agent reminded her that she could be sued over breach of contract. She also threatened to stop performing previews when she discovered that the box office was using Barbra Streisand’s two Sunset songs as their hold music.

Also, let’s not forget Patti’s disappearing act during Les Miserables rehearsals.

by Anonymousreply 442July 16, 2022 9:48 AM

Les Miz has been restated since then. Did the new director make the Fantine actor do chorus work?

by Anonymousreply 443July 16, 2022 10:01 AM

Sorry r442 I have a notification saying you responded to me but as I have you blocked I don’t see it. You’re blocked for a reason so no loss. Off you fuck.

by Anonymousreply 444July 16, 2022 10:09 AM

I had friends who lived in London who told me that Patti was tentative at the beginning of Evita but dazzling by the end of her run. I live in Manhattan and it reminds of when my friends who saw Bernie when her Gypsy opened and thought she was such a mixed bag but when I saw her shortly before the end of her run she was wonderful

by Anonymousreply 445July 16, 2022 10:13 AM

[quote] Stagedooring has always been a thing,

When I was a kid there would be three or four people. Now there are barricades and most of the audience. So it might have been a thing, it wasn't a big thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 446July 16, 2022 10:17 AM

I saw Bernadette well into her run in Gypsy and she was terrible. Just terrible.

by Anonymousreply 447July 16, 2022 10:21 AM

I'm watching something called Public Arts Showcase on a local NJ public TV station. They just showed a color clip of Barbara Cook singing Till There Was You followed by Barbara and The Buffalo Bills singing the Lida Rose duet. It's from a 1960 Bell Telephone Hour. People who claim Barbara didn't get the film part because she wasn't pretty enough have no idea what they're talking about. She's just cute as a button. Or a pretty girl. They and the chorus are wearing period clothes and it's all just so charming beyond words.

by Anonymousreply 448July 16, 2022 10:27 AM

I used to stagedoor at the Fisher Theater in Detroit in the 60s and met Merman, Martin, Verdon, and even Richard Rodgers (after NO STRINGS). There was never a huge crush, except after Harry Belafonte's concert.

by Anonymousreply 449July 16, 2022 11:27 AM

[Quote] I had friends who lived in London who told me that Patti was tentative at the beginning of Evita

Did Patti ever do Evita in London?

by Anonymousreply 450July 16, 2022 11:38 AM

Didn't Beatlemania never "officially" open and ran for years?

by Anonymousreply 451July 16, 2022 11:47 AM

Jack Warner wanted stars in The Music Man,, but he grudgingly gave in and let Robert Preston recreate his Broadway role. But Warner insisted on having a star like Shirley Jones opposite him. Much as I love Barbara Cook, she has a pretty pronounced overbite and chipmunk cheeks in that Music Man clip from the Bell Telephone Hour. Shirley Jones, on the other hand, was gorgeous. And she could certainly sing the role.

by Anonymousreply 452July 16, 2022 11:53 AM

According to IBDB, R431 and R432, Della Reese never appeared on Broadway but toured in BLUES IN THE NIGHT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 453July 16, 2022 12:09 PM

Paradise Square cast didn’t get paid this week and Equity had to step in. Wtf is going on over there?

by Anonymousreply 454July 16, 2022 12:14 PM

And Shirley Jones was willing to put out.

by Anonymousreply 455July 16, 2022 12:34 PM

Barbara was Broadway pretty but not Hollywood pretty.

by Anonymousreply 456July 16, 2022 12:40 PM

r409 Is that all?

by Anonymousreply 457July 16, 2022 1:11 PM

r435 The National Theatre avoided having a press night for the abortion which was Hex, thanks to covid cancellations. Barely anyone ended up reviewing it. Probably for the best, given artistic director Rufus Norris chose to do it - and it just so happens he wrote the lyrics and his wife wrote the book.

by Anonymousreply 458July 16, 2022 1:15 PM

Laura Osnes - will she ever resurface?

by Anonymousreply 459July 16, 2022 1:17 PM

In a hospital ward if BA.5 gets her.

by Anonymousreply 460July 16, 2022 1:19 PM

I call bullshit. Tonsilitis is just an inflammation of the tonsils. Likely brought on by a virus, which is contagious, but it's still not a situation that would normally require even a weekend quarantine.

by Anonymousreply 461July 16, 2022 1:27 PM

And Shirley was a MUCH bigger name nationally: OKLAHOMA!, CAROUSEL, and an Oscar! BC couldn't compete.

by Anonymousreply 462July 16, 2022 1:37 PM

R445, where were they living when they saw Patti in Evita?

She never did it in London.

Why would your friends lie to you about their place of residence? This could be the inciting incident in a British thriller on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 463July 16, 2022 1:37 PM

R449, what about Bette Davis in Night of The Iguana?

by Anonymousreply 464July 16, 2022 2:15 PM

Agree about the stagedooring. I was a budding showqueen as a high-school kid in the 80s, and I collected autographs on Bway. Mostly, I just wanted to see the stars and say hello. Most performers were nice and obliging; if they didn't want to engage, at least they weren't rude about it.

It was NOTHING like the crazed proceedings that you saw on Bway pre-Covid.

by Anonymousreply 465July 16, 2022 2:27 PM

I have no interest in doing it today, but I loved waiting at the stage door when I was in high school. My most memorable experience was after a matinee of "Doubt," when I was 15. I was the only one there. The other three actors came out quickly, but there was no sign of Cherry Jones who I most wanted to meet. Eventually, it started to rain.

I had been waiting for well over an hour when a stagehand popped his head out and asked me if I needed anything. I told him I was waiting for Cherry, and he informed me that she had just finished giving a magazine interview in her dressing room and now was eating a late lunch. In short, she wouldn't be leaving the theater between shows. I thanked him and no doubt looked dejected as I turned to go. He told me to wait a moment and went back inside.

A few minutes later, Cherry came and ushered me inside the theater. She was both touched and apologetic that I had waited so long in the rain for her. She gave me a tour of the theater and all told spent close to half an hour with me. It was a very meaningful experience, as it was only my second or third trip to NYC, and I have great affection for her to this day.

As I was leaving, she told me to be sure and catch the "marvelous" Kathleen Turner in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" across the street. It so happened that I had tickets to it for the following evening. At the stage door after that performance, Kathleen Turner told all of us waiting to make sure we see "Doubt" across the street, because Cherry Jones was "tremendous."

by Anonymousreply 466July 16, 2022 2:34 PM

R417-You think she'll have her tonsils out and then they'll grow back before July 31st? Don'r forget her adenoids. They need a crane to remove those. She won't be back.

by Anonymousreply 467July 16, 2022 2:34 PM

Attn: Santino Fontana fanboys!

Tickets are still available for the Playbill Cruise! Sail the Mediterranean with Tony winners Audra McDonald, Gavin Creel, Santino Fontana, and Nikki M. James, plus Christopher Fitzgerald, Will Swenson, Caissie Levy, and John McDaniel.

Has anyone ever gone on one of these? Do the stars all sit together at dinner? Or do the McDonald-Swensons dine on their own? Are Will and Gavin still buddies from their time in HAIR?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 468July 16, 2022 2:34 PM

Raquel Welch was one of the most gracious stars at the stage door and would remain until everyone waiting had a picture or autograph or had said hello. I found this to be true both when she was doing "Woman of the Year" and later, "Victor Victoria"

by Anonymousreply 469July 16, 2022 2:34 PM

R452 An overbite didn't hinder Gene TIerney -- it actually helped in her case. I don't see chipmunk cheeks on Barbara, but Jane Wyman certainly did fine with them

by Anonymousreply 470July 16, 2022 2:34 PM

I love Barbara Cook, but yes, her teeth were pretty jacked. The cosmetic dentistry available today would have helped her immensely in film and TV.

And I love the "stars being nice" stories. I can confirm from a brief encounter that Cherry Jones was/is a lovely, classy lady.

by Anonymousreply 471July 16, 2022 2:37 PM

The Instagram post announcement about Beanie’s tonsil tantrum is unlike anything we’ve seen for a professional Broadway show. Is Beanie’s mommy running the Funny Girl social media? JFC! Get rid of this mediocre ogre and let Julie play it until September, it’s ridiculous at this point.

by Anonymousreply 472July 16, 2022 2:38 PM

Beanie is the fat bitch who cried wolf. She has got to stop the cloying, "cutsie" posts over-explaining her weekly absences with the gravitas of a Presidential Announcement. No one is buying it. No one cares. She is now New York's ultimate fool.

by Anonymousreply 473July 16, 2022 2:45 PM

Ah, 464! Wish I had. It didn't play the Fisher, but another theater whose name I forget.. At that age, I wasn't aware of what a treasure it would have been to see Davis, Leighton, et al. Thought it might be dull (!) But at that theater I did see Carol & Co, a stripped down version of Julie and Carol at Carnegie Hall. Sans Juilie. Carol was with Allen & Rossi (ugh) but she was a goddess to me at the time, so I stagedoored after a matinee. Waited and waited; they came out, she did not.

by Anonymousreply 474July 16, 2022 2:51 PM

DL fave Alison Fraser is Big Mama in CAT off-Bway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 475July 16, 2022 2:52 PM

R434, I'm not r2, but I also listened to Barbra's and Lea's takes after their comment and meant to say so. I don't think you're actually disagreeing with them, since I took their comment as praising Barbra and criticizing Lea. I've never been much of a Barbra fan (or non-fan; no string opinion either way) and I never watched Glee, so don't think I'd heard Lea sing much. But Barbra's take sounds so effortless (light and airy is a compliment, IMO), whereas Lea's was very try-hard, and her voice was surprisingly weaker than I expected (though obviously stronger than Beanie's. That doesn't take much). I listened to the Glee version, not the Tony one, and could feel every bit of effort she was expending. So I agree with you both. Barbra is obviously superior, and it's not even close.

by Anonymousreply 476July 16, 2022 2:54 PM

It's finally here (or onstage in London at least): the musical you've ALL been waiting for.

MILLENIALS! A new musical. Be sure to check out the photos at the link.

This seems designed entirely to make TG elders' heads explode. Yes, the stage is a giant slice of avocado, hee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 477July 16, 2022 2:56 PM

Cherry Jones must be the kindest person on the planet. I was visibly starstruck and staring at her while we worked out next to each other at the Equinox on Greenwich Ave and she gave me the nicest smile. I will love her forever after that.

Also, her performance in The Heiress is one of the greatest in Broadway history.

by Anonymousreply 478July 16, 2022 3:07 PM

How much did Beanie's weight have to do with all these absences? This is a role that's a marathon a night and twice on matinee days. A fat person can't do it. You've got to be at a certain level of fitness. Everybody making a thing of Beanie's weight was right. Absolutely ridiculous that somebody who has an entire turkey, dumplings and beets a night for dinner with a large pound cake for dessert all the while drinking vanilla malteds is doing a starring role in a Broadway musical. And she's fucking still in her 20s.

by Anonymousreply 479July 16, 2022 3:14 PM

I used to do a lot of theatre for years in little podunk theatres with small cramped cold backstage areas. Yes I every winter there were colds fluids etc. We had Gueneveres and Elizas with laryngitis who would speak sing their songs - I don’t remember a panic that we would catch their sickness. Doesn’t a star usually go to their ear, nose throat guy for a steroid shot?

by Anonymousreply 480July 16, 2022 3:42 PM

I used to stage door all the time before the pandemic. Bernadette Peters was wonderful to all her fans and happily posed for pictures. Very gracious.

Patti is nice to her fans but RARELY will do a picture. But she will chat and seems to really appreciate her long haulers.

I did Hello Dolly and everyone signed but Bette Midler.

by Anonymousreply 481July 16, 2022 3:47 PM

Stage door .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 482July 16, 2022 4:02 PM

Stage door incidents.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 483July 16, 2022 4:05 PM

Stagedooring is how Alice Ripley got in trouble. Those teen girl lunatics met her doing that shit (and on Facebook I guess).

by Anonymousreply 484July 16, 2022 4:12 PM

Beanie’s tonsils will wreak havoc on script continuity on Merrily.

by Anonymousreply 485July 16, 2022 4:19 PM

Speaking of Doubt WHET Cherry's co-stars Brian O'Byrne and Heather Goldenhersh? Do they still act? I think they actually married after the show closed.

And also the handsome fellow who played opposite Cherry as Morris Townsend in The Heiress? Spacing on his name but WHET?

What's with the disappearance of all of Cherry's co-stars??

by Anonymousreply 486July 16, 2022 4:20 PM

Jon Tenney, r486? Oh, c'mon...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 487July 16, 2022 4:22 PM

I worked with Jon Tenney in the early 80s at Williamstown when he was a skinny cute non-Equity actor; then again the early 90s when he developed into one of the handsomest men on the planet, a super nice guy, and not a bad actor either. Sadly, I think he was overwhelmed and emasculated by his marriage to that horrible Teri Whatshername.

by Anonymousreply 488July 16, 2022 4:27 PM

Oh that's right, Jon Tenney. I was thinking of handsome understudy Richard Thompson who was on the night I saw The Heiress. I guess he left the biz.

by Anonymousreply 489July 16, 2022 4:29 PM

R466, what a lovely story about Cherry. It's so fantastic that she took the time to do that for you. Those are the kinds of things that someone will remember for the rest of their lives and the person responsible really does make an indelible impression on you.

I've previously mentioned that I worked with Cherry on a show prior to Doubt, and she truly was a delightful person. I got to be friendly with her (then) partner, Mary, who would come to meet her before the show ended a few nights a week, and we'd bring her into the theater to watch sometimes, or bring her back to wait for Cherry. We had many conversations, and then after the show closed, I would see her often. I was always sorry that they split up (though I have zero dirt on why). I also loathe Sara Paulson, so I was very Team Mary when I heard. But again, I have no dirt, so I'm not putting the blame on anyone. Sometimes relationships just end.

by Anonymousreply 490July 16, 2022 4:43 PM

Did Paulson cheat on Cherry with Cannavale when Cherry was traveling down to Tennessee to care for her dying parents? I remember reading that on DL heard ago.

by Anonymousreply 491July 16, 2022 4:53 PM

I think we'd all forgive our partners for having one with Bobby Cannavale, whatever the circumstances. I demonstrates our shared humanity.

by Anonymousreply 492July 16, 2022 5:03 PM

I used to summer in New York and stagedoor the Broadway shows and dialogue with the actors.

by Anonymousreply 493July 16, 2022 5:05 PM

How very very, r493.

by Anonymousreply 494July 16, 2022 5:08 PM

Have I told you about the time Chita lifted her leg in bed with me when it broke?

by Anonymousreply 495July 16, 2022 5:08 PM

If you think Cherry Jones was nice to a young gay guy at the stage door for giving him a tour of the theatre, I deserve a freakin' medal

by Anonymousreply 496July 16, 2022 5:11 PM

R486-It seems Heather has left the business, but Brian is doing a play in London right now.

by Anonymousreply 497July 16, 2022 5:16 PM

Just two innocent little friends

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 498July 16, 2022 5:22 PM

Wait about a year when CBS Sunday Morning does a whole, messy sad story of how FG almost destroyed her career.

"I had to take many, many months off, and I ate and ate, and ballooned to 300 lbs., but my friends staged an intervention and I'm back on track. Oh, did I mention I'm going to do 6 weeks in "Chicago" for the Fran and Barry"?

by Anonymousreply 499July 16, 2022 5:23 PM

My best: With two friends I saw Black Comedy in '67: Geraldine Page, Lynn Redgrave, Jordan Christopher, Michael Crawford, Donald Madden. We stagedoored, primarily for Page. We were told she wasn't coming out, but we talked our way in, saying we were theater students from Northwestern (true). Suddenly we were ushered in, where she sat in her dressing room in a gold full-length robe, and was a lovely host. She then invited us back the next two nights after the show, telling stories, gossiping (she did a wicked impersonation of Capote, having just done Christmas Memory), and asking us about the shows we had seen that night. She entertained each time until the phone rang and then she was off. It was Rip on the phone, and it was clear he was not to be kept waiting. Will never forget it.

by Anonymousreply 500July 16, 2022 5:24 PM

I got programs signed backstage or at the stage door from:

Sandy Dennis

Shelley Winters

Kurt Kasznar

Edward Mulhare

Myrna Loy

Ricardo Montalban

Maggie Smith

Lily Tomlin

Ingrid Bergman

Jessica Tandy

Hume Cronyn

Anne Baxter

Alan Rickman

Lindsay Duncan

Julia Meade

by Anonymousreply 501July 16, 2022 5:36 PM

I've never understood the appeal of getting autographs. So what do you do with all those signed Playbills? Do you frame all of them or are they just sitting in a box somewhere?

by Anonymousreply 502July 16, 2022 5:39 PM

I was young, r502. I sold a few on eBay (because I needed the money) and a few were stolen. C'mon, you don't think an autograph from Ingrid Bergman is special? Or Dame Maggie?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 503July 16, 2022 5:46 PM

Does tonsillitis affect muff diving?

by Anonymousreply 504July 16, 2022 5:50 PM

[quote]C'mon, you don't think an autograph from Ingrid Bergman is special? Or Dame Maggie?

No I don't, but I guess I can at least understand the appeal even if I don't feel it.

by Anonymousreply 505July 16, 2022 5:50 PM

I remember Julie Andrews was led from the stage door to her car after V/v. Smiled and waved but never signed and I don’t blame her. Many actors enjoy interacting with the audience afterwards but many are tired and want to go home. It shouldn’t be an obligation.

by Anonymousreply 506July 16, 2022 6:17 PM

I have my signed playbills framed and hangin on the wall.

Sure people may make fun of me and call me a show-Queen, but they matter to me.

by Anonymousreply 507July 16, 2022 6:26 PM

Oh, yes, Mary! I lived on Horatio Street in the far West Village throughout the 1990s and Mary and Cherry were my neighbors, often biking around. As were Billy Campbell & Jennifer Connelly and Mary Testa. And Larry Kert before he died. And Eddie Cibrian briefly, before his divorce, believe it or not. It was quite the block!

by Anonymousreply 508July 16, 2022 6:31 PM

So glad you specified it was before he died that Larry Kert lived on your block. How else would we have known?

by Anonymousreply 509July 16, 2022 6:38 PM

This is a very impressive and in-depth history of the creation of Fun Home.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 510July 16, 2022 6:44 PM

I'd like to have a program signed by Beanie; it will be a rare collector's item in a few years.

by Anonymousreply 511July 16, 2022 6:49 PM

When Feldstein was in Helly, Dolly!, she lost a noticeable amount of weight unintentionally (from the movement). She was upset when she got praise for it, and she wrote a well-remembered piece at Refinery 29 titled "Please stop complimenting me on my body!" A few years later, her brother expressed simple sentiments (about himself) on social media in a period when he was on the downside of his weight yoyo.

I haven't noticed any change in Feldstein's size this time around. Is the Funny Girl production less aerobically involved, or is it just that she's been in and out of it so much?

by Anonymousreply 512July 16, 2022 7:11 PM

A stage door in a simpler time:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 513July 16, 2022 7:12 PM

I have an infected toe - so I will miss about a dozen shows.... Beano F.

I broke both my legs this morning but I will be doing the matinee and evening performances later today....Ethel Merman

by Anonymousreply 514July 16, 2022 7:16 PM

[quote]I used to summer in New York

Who summers in New York? Trash!

by Anonymousreply 515July 16, 2022 7:22 PM

Evita did a pre-Broadway tour in the U.S. Definitely came to San Francisco (my parents saw Patti and Mandy--Mandy was getting the local attention) and I'm pretty sure Los Angeles. I'm pretty sure Patti wasn't in London, where Elaine Paige was the big new star.

by Anonymousreply 516July 16, 2022 7:27 PM

Little Me

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 517July 16, 2022 7:35 PM

Better Little Me. (This is Fosse's original choreography for "Rich Kid's Rag," recreated for the 1984 London production by original Broadway cast member John Sharpe).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 518July 16, 2022 8:19 PM

Between the wonderfully camp performances of Virginia Martin and Nancy Andrews, the inventive choreography of Bob Fosse that essentially had nothing to do with the plot, and the awful Sid Caesar schtick, LITTLE ME was a Broadway musical in search of an identity. Wonderful score though (except for Caesar's numbers).

by Anonymousreply 519July 16, 2022 8:28 PM

"Except for Caesar's numbers," R519? You don't enjoy "Deep Down Inside" or "Goodbye" or "Real Live Girl"?

by Anonymousreply 520July 16, 2022 8:40 PM

Or "Boom-Boom" or "I Love You"?

by Anonymousreply 521July 16, 2022 8:42 PM

Ignore R519. The identity is early 60s variety show of a high order, satire, and arch camp. It's a delight. The Patrick Dennis book even more delightful.

by Anonymousreply 522July 16, 2022 9:00 PM

The 1984 London production of Little Me went back to one actor in the Caesar roles, but used the 1982 score and Tony Walton set and costume design. In that version, "Don't Ask a Lady" replaced "The Truth," "Be a Performer" was cut, and "I Wanna Be Yours" was added to Act 2. Both song additions were delightful. TV comedian Russ Abbot in the Caesar roles was hilarious, and it seems to be the only production that was somewhat successful, running a year.

by Anonymousreply 523July 16, 2022 9:03 PM

[quote]satire, and arch camp

And because of that, r522...no heart.

by Anonymousreply 524July 16, 2022 9:06 PM

Heart is overrated.

by Anonymousreply 525July 16, 2022 9:09 PM

Oh, but you gotta have it!

by Anonymousreply 526July 16, 2022 9:10 PM

You can't get a long, long run without it, r525.

by Anonymousreply 527July 16, 2022 9:10 PM

Do you want me to sic Jean Stapleton's rendition of the reprise of "Heart" from "Damn Yankees" on you?

by Anonymousreply 528July 16, 2022 9:11 PM

R523, I've no information about previous productions or performances of "Little Me, but I really enjoyed myself watching the show when Encores! produced it years ago. It's the only time I've seen Christian Borle on stage and he was wonderful performing the many roles.

And Rachel York! A delight.

by Anonymousreply 529July 16, 2022 9:12 PM

[quote]but I really enjoyed myself watching the show when Encores! produced it years ago

It doesn't mean it isn't an entertaining show/score, r529.

by Anonymousreply 530July 16, 2022 9:15 PM

Oh, of course there's always an exception...i.e. CHICAGO.

by Anonymousreply 531July 16, 2022 9:17 PM

I know this makes me younger than most DLers posting here but I stagedoored Hamlet and Booth was very nice. Hot ass too. Still have the playbill and my memories. Have to poopie now.

by Anonymousreply 532July 16, 2022 9:21 PM

I thought the number at R518 was pretty cute and well executed. But I can see why it gets cut in some revivals.

by Anonymousreply 533July 16, 2022 9:27 PM

Such wit, r532.

by Anonymousreply 534July 16, 2022 9:30 PM

Well, it certainly ain't wisdom.

by Anonymousreply 535July 16, 2022 9:32 PM

R469, Not the night I was walking by the Woman of the Year stage door and stopped to observe the rowdy crowd there.

Raquel finally exited wearing dark glasses, with then husband Andre Weinfeld following closely behind carrying a small dog.

They both headed right for their waiting limo, much to the disappointment of the waiting fans.

by Anonymousreply 536July 16, 2022 9:36 PM

[quote] I thought the number at [R518] was pretty cute and well executed. But I can see why it gets cut in some revivals.

It's been included in all three Broadway productions, both London West End productions, Encores! and a 1992 Off-Broadway production . I can't speak for what happens elsewhere though.

by Anonymousreply 537July 16, 2022 9:45 PM

Little Me rehearsal for Encores.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 538July 16, 2022 9:50 PM

r516 Patti did not do Evita in London. A while after she left the Broadway company she did a short stint in Melbourne - a few weeks.

by Anonymousreply 539July 16, 2022 9:51 PM

That picture of Christian Borle at R538 shows that he should avoid profile shots.

by Anonymousreply 540July 16, 2022 9:53 PM

R507 I love that.

by Anonymousreply 541July 16, 2022 9:55 PM

Christian Borle IS Andy Gump

by Anonymousreply 542July 16, 2022 10:14 PM

I meant Patti in Sunset Boulevard way back in the thread. Not Evita of course. Friends in London told me she really grew in the role as the run went on. I was half asleep when I wrote that, promptly went to bed and now here I am groveling.

by Anonymousreply 543July 16, 2022 10:24 PM

I thought Borle was lousy in LITTLE ME. Martin Short was much better in the first revival, but Faith Prince was a drag. Having her play both Belles was a mistake.

by Anonymousreply 544July 16, 2022 10:31 PM

I love the OBC recording of LITTLE ME but I thought that Encores production, the only one I've ever seen, was dreadful on every level.

by Anonymousreply 545July 16, 2022 10:37 PM

Who’s the entitled white girl whose parents set her up in New York and she created a lot of stage credits for herself, when she was really an untalented unknown?

Anyway, maybe Beanie’s comeback can be playing that gal in a one woman show?

by Anonymousreply 546July 16, 2022 10:39 PM

[quote] Who’s the entitled white girl whose parents set her up in New York and she created a lot of stage credits for herself, when she was really an untalented unknown?

You expect us to remember just one?

by Anonymousreply 547July 16, 2022 10:42 PM

I recall nearly every moment of the Faith Prince / Martin Short production 25 years ago.

I've erased every second of the Christian Borle / Encores staging of a mere 8 years ago.

Borle is not a star, despite the repeated failed attempts to make him one. Sadly, neither is Rachel York, a consummate professional who always delivers. She just does not have "it."

by Anonymousreply 548July 16, 2022 10:44 PM

Did she have "it" in V/V, r548?

by Anonymousreply 549July 16, 2022 10:46 PM

I saw the 84 London revival. Russ Abbott and Sheila White were both great, but Tudor Davies stole the show with 'I've Got Your Number'

by Anonymousreply 550July 16, 2022 11:09 PM

R549 - As supporting, yep, she has "it". She doesn't quite shine in lead roles, despite doing everything perfectly. It was the same on the tour of Kiss Me, Kate. The Roger Bart Syndrome.

Speaking of Stage Door Johnnying, the only time I stage doored was for V/V. I simply HAD to get Julie Andrew's autograph. While we were waiting, Rachel York came out. My very young self gushed and I told her how much I loved her. She was extremely kind and took some time to talk to me. My naive self asked her the silly question of if she had ever done a show before. She laughed and mentioned a little show called Putting it Together.

Shortly afterwards, Dame Julie herself burst from the stage door on 45th and beelined directly into her waiting vehicle, hurriedly ignoring all us who had been waiting patiently. A man shut the car door and off it drove.

I'll always remember Rachel's graciousness against Julie's dismissiveness.

by Anonymousreply 551July 16, 2022 11:18 PM

Some stage doorer has to shriek at Julie, “What is it, you cuntface!!”

by Anonymousreply 552July 16, 2022 11:21 PM

I'm just not a Little Me fan....they took a hilarious book that centers on a fabulous female character and turned it into a musical vehicle for a male star to play the men in the fabulous female character's life.

If that doesn't define the misogyny of the entertainment business, I don't know what does.

It would be like rewriting Gypsy to have it center on Herbie.

Also: Sid Caesar was fucking annoying.

by Anonymousreply 553July 16, 2022 11:25 PM

That was always my problem with "Little Me," R553. The book is truly hilarious, although a lot of the humor comes from "reading between the lines" and recognizing the tacky realities of Belle Poitrine's life vs. her version of the events. When her child is born, she emphasizes that it was very risky for her because "I was little more than a child myself. As the doctor said to me, 'At your age, this won't be easy.' "

But the concept for the musical was terrible to begin with, as you said. The men in Belle's life are mostly superfluous, so to make them the focus of the story, and then to have them all be played by the often insufferable Sid Caesar, was just asking for a flop.

by Anonymousreply 554July 16, 2022 11:37 PM

There wouldn't be a male lead had they not done that, r 554 and the show needed a gimmick. The writers managed to find heart in Auntie Mame (no small thanks to Roz), but Little Me reads as pure satire.

by Anonymousreply 555July 16, 2022 11:43 PM

How could anyone who loved the book LITTLE ME have ever have thought it should be a vehicle for a male star? As if Belle Poitrine wasn't a fabulous character in her own right?

by Anonymousreply 556July 16, 2022 11:53 PM

When you hear the reason behind Beanie's extra-early departure, it'll make a little more sense. My guess is it will be announced sometime in August.

by Anonymousreply 557July 16, 2022 11:53 PM

Was she driven into cutting, or something??

by Anonymousreply 558July 17, 2022 12:01 AM

Actually, Cook tested three times for the film of The Music Man and was very much in the running for Marian. What happened was that after Jack Warner paid millions for the screen rights, everyone he offered the title part to -- Frank Sinatra, Gene Kelly, Dan Dailey, among others -- turned him down. When he realized that B list film star Preston was going to be his best bet, he turned to Jones without a screen test because he always wanted a big name star when he bought an expensive property. She had a string of hit musicals and an Oscar to her name as well as being pretty perfect in the role.

by Anonymousreply 559July 17, 2022 12:07 AM

There’s something so inherently boring about Shirley Jones to me. But I guess for the 1950s she checked all the mainstream boxes.

by Anonymousreply 560July 17, 2022 12:11 AM

More likely Beanie is leaving extra early to film a movie or a series.

by Anonymousreply 561July 17, 2022 12:12 AM

Was Dani Dailey really big box-office? I mean he was talented and co-starred with Betty Grable, but Preston did have superb notices from Broadway and had played opposite folks like Barbara Stanwyck and other ladies in the movies. Glad Kelly turned it down -- he'd have made it into a love affair with himself and like Hugh Jackman, added dance everywhere where it wasn't needed. Sinatra I could kind of see actually though.

by Anonymousreply 562July 17, 2022 12:27 AM

Dan Dailey, that is (in men's apparel).

by Anonymousreply 563July 17, 2022 12:27 AM

LITTLE ME was meant as light Broadway entertainment, no more, no less. Made for the tired businessman and his wife. The material succeeds. A very funny Neil Simon book with a clever, memorable, classic Broadway score by legendary songwriters. A fun romp through showbiz delusion. It's a tour-de-force vehicle for a male comic actor. There is plenty in there for the female lead(s). One's personal contemporary dislike towards Sid Caesar is irrelevant, as are eye-rolling accusations of the show's purported misogyny. There's no pleasing some theater queens.

by Anonymousreply 564July 17, 2022 12:30 AM

If Beanie is leaving to play Mary opposite Daniel Radcliffe in Merrily We Roll Along, the insanity is only beginning.

by Anonymousreply 565July 17, 2022 12:30 AM

R560 Shirley Jones was/is the opposite of boring in real life. She sounds like a template for Samantha Jones in "Sex and the City" in a way.

by Anonymousreply 566July 17, 2022 12:37 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 567July 17, 2022 12:39 AM

She has Vaselinity, r566!

by Anonymousreply 568July 17, 2022 12:39 AM

R565, Mary will be played by a Black trans quadriplegic. Catch up.

by Anonymousreply 569July 17, 2022 12:43 AM

[quote]More likely Beanie is leaving extra early to film a movie or a series.

Just like Rachel Berry did, for that horrible TV show! Life imitates art!

by Anonymousreply 570July 17, 2022 12:44 AM

I bet she's pregnant!

by Anonymousreply 571July 17, 2022 12:51 AM

The film of Merrily has already shot the early scenes and is supposed to keep shooting at intervals over the next 30 years or so.

It's one of the stupidist things I've ever heard of.

by Anonymousreply 572July 17, 2022 12:52 AM

I think the approach sounds great. I just hope no one in the cast dies before filming finishes.

by Anonymousreply 573July 17, 2022 12:54 AM

Was there any word on if Blake Jenner was replaced after the abuse allegations, and by whom? I imagine they would have needed to reshot the scenes he'd already done.

by Anonymousreply 574July 17, 2022 12:54 AM

[quote]I bet she's pregnant!

I wouldn't be surprised. BBW have their dedicated admirers!

by Anonymousreply 575July 17, 2022 12:55 AM

The world will never see the completed MERRILY film. Mark my words.

by Anonymousreply 576July 17, 2022 12:56 AM

[quote] I just hope no one in the cast dies before filming finishes.

Call me if there's a tragic accident or if one of the leads simply can't cut it!

by Anonymousreply 577July 17, 2022 1:00 AM

r486, probably not that interesting, but Goldenhersh turned up in the Alienist miniseries (the second one, I think?) in 2019. I was surprised since I hadn't seen her in anything in so long. According to IMDB it was her first acting gig in quite some time. O'Byrne is keeping very busy with both stage and a lot of TV work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 578July 17, 2022 1:01 AM

r579, please, Lea. We all read the Daily Beast article. We know no one will need to call you. You'll be contacting all the producers to make your interest known before the body's cold.

by Anonymousreply 579July 17, 2022 1:04 AM

Oops, that was for r577.

by Anonymousreply 580July 17, 2022 1:05 AM

Speaking of the Daily Beast

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 581July 17, 2022 1:07 AM

Beanie being pregnant seems like an obvious reason/story, but I almost wish it was something insane, like that she was a January 6 participant.

by Anonymousreply 582July 17, 2022 1:26 AM

Linklater loves ruminations on the passage of time, and he's had success with other projects done at intervals, the Before trilogy and Boyhood. But he will be 80 when this is supposed to wrap in 2040. That in itself is a lot to gamble on, before we even get into things that could happen to the cast members.

by Anonymousreply 583July 17, 2022 1:44 AM

That Encores! "Little Me" with Borle and York

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 584July 17, 2022 2:18 AM

Ohhhh. I just heard from a dear friend of mine who's in San Francisco right now and as an activity while there just picked up tickets to see some production of Follies. Then I realized it has to be the Natascia Diaz one so I'll be curious to hear about it.

by Anonymousreply 585July 17, 2022 2:54 AM

For absolutely no reason...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 586July 17, 2022 3:28 AM

[quote]When you hear the reason behind Beanie's extra-early departure, it'll make a little more sense. My guess is it will be announced sometime in August.

This could be true, or there could be no basis to it whatsoever, but I heard from someone that Beanie was almost hit by a piece of scenery, and that experience understandably spooked her. So that may have been reason enough in her mind to leave the show earlier than planned.

by Anonymousreply 587July 17, 2022 4:41 AM

Hee-hee, r587.

by Anonymousreply 588July 17, 2022 4:43 AM

i heard chicken hawk Jane Lynch was Beanie's sole protector backstage... but when the baby dyke went ahead and announced her engagement to another woman, Mrs. Brice sneered, "You've made your bed - you're on your own."

Beanie is now terrified to be in the theater alone, out from under Big Mama Jane's wing. Hence the absences and early out. And "malfunctioning" scenery.

by Anonymousreply 589July 17, 2022 4:55 AM

Bette Midler was knocked down when a set malfunctioned during Dolly and after a brief intermission she got back on stage and went on with the show. Beanie = amateur.

by Anonymousreply 590July 17, 2022 6:00 AM

rOP you did great. Please set us up for the next thread.

by Anonymousreply 591July 17, 2022 11:34 AM

I guess you don't use "r" with "OP"

by Anonymousreply 592July 17, 2022 11:38 AM

R546 are you referring to noted thespian Melissa Beth Miller?

by Anonymousreply 593July 17, 2022 11:54 AM

[quote]When you hear the reason behind Beanie's extra-early departure, it'll make a little more sense.

Someone played her a recording of the show?

by Anonymousreply 594July 17, 2022 12:23 PM

I’d leave just because of that stupid curtain call.

by Anonymousreply 595July 17, 2022 12:25 PM

Patti played Evita in Sydney as well as Melbourne. If she was tentative when it opened on Broadway I'd like to know why: she'd been at it for a while already.

Couldn't understand a word she sang.

by Anonymousreply 596July 17, 2022 12:25 PM

All of this press for Funny Girl is huge for the producers, bad or good. They are getting billions of dollars of free publicity. The chaos has crossed over to mainstream media. That translates into tickets and money.

by Anonymousreply 597July 17, 2022 12:32 PM

When all the press is about how terrible the show is and that a new star is coming in two months, that doesn't translate into tickets and money, moron.

by Anonymousreply 598July 17, 2022 12:34 PM

Oh Bean/Benko Stan, take the loss and move on. Moron.

by Anonymousreply 599July 17, 2022 12:39 PM

two name-callers ending this thread on a LOW. Assholes.

by Anonymousreply 600July 17, 2022 12:42 PM

BAJOUR!

by Anonymousreply 601July 17, 2022 12:43 PM

Poor r596. We condole your hearing defect. Advanced years doll?

by Anonymousreply 602July 17, 2022 1:04 PM

R546, that sounds like a real hall of mirrors.

by Anonymousreply 603July 17, 2022 4:14 PM

SUGAR!

by Anonymousreply 604July 17, 2022 4:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!