Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Australian DataLoungers

Are you having an election? Who do you think will win?

by Anonymousreply 278May 27, 2022 3:30 AM

The ALP will win but they are no different from the LNP.

I voted informal.

by Anonymousreply 1May 14, 2022 10:57 AM

[quote]I voted informal.

If you are incapable of seeing that Scott Morrison is the worst PM in living memory then you're a complete fucking idiot.

I bet you voted informal because you're too stupid to figure out how to fill in the ballot.

by Anonymousreply 2May 14, 2022 11:11 AM

Perhaps Albo will fuck it up, but I will surely take that gamble over giving that smug bastard ScoMo another chance.

I haven't watched the news in over a month, because I can't stand watching them do that scum PM's bidding.

I will just prepare for the worst.

by Anonymousreply 3May 14, 2022 11:16 AM

[quote] Scott Morrison is the worst PM in living memory

That infamy goes to the Grim Reaper himself, Paul Keating, whose career pinnacle was a brickie. Once he became a pollie, it was all downhill.

by Anonymousreply 4May 14, 2022 11:21 AM

My cynicism and lack of faith in polls points to a Liberal (conservative) victory.

by Anonymousreply 5May 14, 2022 11:25 AM

R1 Oh fuck you jerk.

You know nothing about me but for your information I think it is a close race between Howard, Rudd, Gillard, Abbott, Turnbull & Morrison for the second worst PM of my lifetime. The worst was Malcolm Fraser but you are probably too young to member that Nazi motherfucker.

I live in a very safe ALP seat - my vote in the House of Reps means NOTHING.

In the Senate I voted below the line for the Reason Party and some minor left wing parties to take me up to 12 candidates. None of them have a hope of getting elected but these smaller parties have to start somewhere.

I actually have Reason Party political posters on my home!

Like R3 I haven't been watching TV (which when I do is the ABC) because I don't want to listen to any of them. I like Albo personally and think he would be a good PM but he has a largely bad team behind him. Exceptions being Tanya Pilbersek, Linda Burney, Anne Aly and a few others who are good but most of the ALP like most of the LNP, The Greens and One Nation are unelectable.

by Anonymousreply 6May 14, 2022 11:25 AM

[quote]You know nothing about me

The fact you think the ALP is just as bad as the LNP says everything I need to know about you. I hope that thinking you're holier than thou makes up for the fact that you're a complete fucking moron.

by Anonymousreply 7May 14, 2022 11:46 AM

[quote]The ALP will win but they are no different from the LNP.

Hey, Sue Cunt Sarandon! Didn't know you live Down Under!

by Anonymousreply 8May 14, 2022 12:19 PM

Well this is off to a good start. To the original question, I think the ALP will squeak it in. ScoMo has too much of a women problem. I am a die hard Labor voter but actually think a hung parliament would be a good thing for the country. Gillard got a huge volume of great legislation done with a hung parliament. Albanese is the right person to lead in either case. Fingers crossed!

by Anonymousreply 9May 14, 2022 12:30 PM

I like how you have in person voting for Australians abroad. Is that new since the US postal service was destroyed by DeJoy? Or was that always a thing?

by Anonymousreply 10May 14, 2022 12:59 PM

American here, what party is like the Democratic party and which one is like the Republican party?

Therefore I know which team to root for. I need it broken down like that for me. You know, we only two major parties over here in the US and I'm trying to learn about Australian politics.

Thx.

by Anonymousreply 11May 14, 2022 1:16 PM

I wanna know specifically which one is like the Democratic party, so I can root for them. Thx again.

by Anonymousreply 12May 14, 2022 1:17 PM

Australian Labor Party (ALP, or simply Labor) = centre left party crudely equivalent to the Democrats.

Liberal Party of Australia (simply, the Liberals) = centre right party roughly equivalent to the Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 13May 14, 2022 1:45 PM

R13 Thx for that. But why would the liberal party be like the Republicans? I mean, it's liberal after all. Unless liberal means something different in Australia? I'm confused 😕

by Anonymousreply 14May 14, 2022 1:50 PM

At least he Oz Liberal Party is Center-right, not insane radical right like the Republicans. It’s getting scary here and I wish I could leave.

by Anonymousreply 15May 14, 2022 1:57 PM

R11 The ALP - Australian Labor Party is our version of the Democrats. The LNP - Liberal National Party, which is a Coalition of two parties being the Liberal Party and the National Party is our version of the Republic Party but there hasn't been much difference between the parties for the part 25 years.

It was the LNP that passed Gay Marriage for example - go figure. It was the ALP that froze the Medicare Rebate back in 2012, which was raised in about 2017 by the LNP for 50 fucking cents - go figure.

The LNP has more right wing looney's in it than the ALP whose right wing faction comes from the influence of the 'Shoppies Union'.

I suppose as things stand now the LNP is a right wing party and the ALP and more centralist but leaning to the right.

R5 I get your cynicism and agree that the polls can't be trusted but there is a stench around Morrison and the LNP that is so strong an ALP victory is 99.99% inevitable. Albo is a decent guy but boy have the LNP left a mess on so many levels. I'm personally aware of a number of issues that could explode in the ALPs face simply because the LNP have sat on their hands and some of them have their starting points when the ALP were last in Government. Ouch. The ALP have going to have to make some tough decisions. Go ahead with some of these and face exposure or waver them off and don't pursue them (they are legal issues which are at the discretion of the Attorney General) and face a big outcry from some prominent people not to mention sections of the media.

I spent my life working for the feds and the changes over the last 25 years have very much damaged the country and the way it which it is run.

If anything a Royal Commission into Robodebt could be so far reaching as to incur federal police convictions for certain individuals but it depends on what they really knew and if it can be proven. Morrison doesn't want a Royal Commission as during his tenure was when things started going pear shaped. The ALP will want to snag him and hopefully they will if he acted illegally (i.e. knew about the methodology used to recover so-called 'debts').

Another problem Scomo faces is that they haven't really done anything productive in the last 3 years. Credit for shutting the borders in March 2020 but he was forced into it by the Premiers of NSW (Gladys B.) & Victoria (Dan Andrews). If they had not insisted, because they knew their hospital system wouldn't cope we would have had tens of thousands of people die in 2020 alone.

The most disturbing factor of the election campaign is that nobody is mentioning COVID. They are all acting like its over and everything is fine and that is far from the truth. Hundred of people are dying weekly and this is likely to go on until the end of the new provided no new variants emerge that don't cause death for anybody. It is clear nobody knows what to do the prepare for the future.

by Anonymousreply 16May 14, 2022 2:00 PM

OP = Eva Braun

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 14, 2022 2:06 PM

ElderLez is a legend on these boards and for over two years has provided valuable information in relation to the COVID epidemic to many of us here.

She is NOT Eva Braun or in any way like Eva Braun I would imagine.

by Anonymousreply 18May 14, 2022 2:10 PM

I think R17 is making a joke that I am worse than Hitler (but feminized) because I started a thread when there was already a thread on Australian politics. It’s standard DL bitchery like diagf.

In my defense, I did do a search on Australian election before posting my thread and nothing came up for me.

by Anonymousreply 19May 14, 2022 2:24 PM

[quote]Unless liberal means something different in Australia?

It refers to economic liberalism - individual rights to own property, generate wealth etc in a market-based economy.

by Anonymousreply 20May 14, 2022 2:48 PM

Thx R20.

by Anonymousreply 21May 14, 2022 2:49 PM

(And thank you for you kind words R18 and the many informative posters)

by Anonymousreply 22May 15, 2022 12:38 AM

We have a preference system so the candidates can be ranked. I like to set my own preferences. The parties like to encourage voters to follow the preferences they have made deals with each other for, but it mostly comes down to two party preferred.

I'll probably give my first preferences to the greens and my second preferences to Labor. I'd like to see some growth in the Greens party and getting first preferences gives them a small financial stipend even if in the lower house the vote goes elsewhere. There is one Greens senator I find super impressive

My local member currently sitting (in the lower house) is LNP but he really belongs in the Labor party. Polling shows he will likely retain his seat. He works hard and has little in common with his boss Scomo (our disgusting PM)

I understand people being disillusioned enough with the whole political system to put in donkey votes (I did it too in my early 20s), but with environmental matters getting worse and causing deaths (floods, droughts and bushfires), even a first preference to the Greens is my protest to Labor and Liberal that it can't always be just about those two parties.

Perth summers get hotter and hotter and it was devastating to see in our last WA state election that the wonderful Greens pollies (some of whom I'd met and been very impressed by) were just wiped out by the massive Labor victory.

I like Labor but our city is short at least one major hospital and not much is happening with regard to the environment or the homeless. As far as parties go, we need a third one in the race. The preference system gives us power to build one up, if only financially at first.

by Anonymousreply 23May 16, 2022 2:02 AM

Aussie dollar is collapsing

by Anonymousreply 24May 16, 2022 2:10 AM

Albo is a decent guy and has a solid vision for Australia, which is backed up by several industry bodies. He was a very effective leader of he house and got a ton of projects done.

He's a progressive, but is very practical about things. Not that different from Joe Biden actually. He supports AUKUS and QUAD because he knows China will be the next big aggressor in the Pacific region. We here in Australia need to join some strong military alliances because of that. Albo had decades of building up good connections to the democrats in the US. Blinken, when he was here a few months ago, went out of his way to do a photo op with Albo and Penny Wong, who is whip smart and will become our foreign minister.

He wants to bring manufacturing back to Australia so we can become more independent and build up our own sustainable industry.

He strongly supports LGBT rights, gender equality, sustainable energy development.

He's the guy we urgently needed here in Australia!

by Anonymousreply 25May 16, 2022 2:42 AM

The Federal and State governments are responsible* for different things, but the four things the Feds were responsible for in the pandemic were: quarantine, procuring vaccines and other drugs from overseas, Medicare and aged care.

The present Federal Government is well known to have failed comprehensively in all four (in fact, if anyone can report them doing anything at all, apart from getting the vaccines in very, very late, I'd be surprised). As a result of their inaction on vaccines there was all kinds of bizarre "public education" about what was and wasn't needed, which was just a smokescreen for the fact that we didn't have the protection we needed when we needed it, but which undermined people's faith in the medics and scientists and probably ended up killing even more people than the gap in procuring vaccines did. Scott Morrison denied culpability all the way.

R16, it is misleading to say the LNP passed the Gay Marriage Act. They did, but only after insisting on the very damaging plebiscite (so they could blame the public when their far Right membership and evangelical buddies pointed the finger at them). The plebiscite was an overwhelming Yes vote, just like the polls said it would be. But the campaign towards it unleashed the anti-gay minority's ugliest voices, and the LNP had the numbers in Parliament to pass it without any of that.

*I use the term "responsible" advisedly of any government led by Morrison, whose lack of accountability is legendary.

by Anonymousreply 26May 16, 2022 2:44 AM

R23, the Greens in Australia are completely useless!

by Anonymousreply 27May 16, 2022 2:45 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 16, 2022 2:47 AM

Hospitals are a State issue though that doesn't prevent any Federal Government from allocating money towards one anywhere in the country.

I find it bizarre that the state LNP (NSW) are actually allocating massive amounts of money into my local hospital which serves Green & ALP areas. Just so weird.

by Anonymousreply 29May 16, 2022 3:05 AM

Going back to the original question, last election the polls said the ALP would win comfortably, and in fact they lost. Analysts say the polls were adjusted after that to favour Labor a bit less in order to make the balance more accurate. But this election the polls are reading even more in favour of Labor than they were last time. That means they've made up for the adjustment and then gone on to be even stronger.

That's why the Liberals are starting to panic. They've got two problems: they don't want Labor to win; and if it wins convincingly the hard Right will lose a lot of the ground they've made up within their own Party under noted evangelical Morrison. The Liberals and their rural coalition partners fear the moderates within their own party. Moderate Liberals are classically socially quite liberal but fiscally conservative. When they're in power in the Coalition, Labor feels free to move a little further Left. Needless to say, the hard Right hates that.

by Anonymousreply 30May 16, 2022 3:06 AM

Labor couldn't go any further left it they tried.

by Anonymousreply 31May 16, 2022 3:08 AM

Scott Morrison is scared shitless of a federal ICAC, because he knows he's in big big trouble when somebody looks into all the corruption he and the LNP gone into in the last 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 32May 16, 2022 3:18 AM

R30 But some of those moderates in the LNP like Trent Zinnerman & Dave Sharma could loose their seats to those independent teal candidates which may result in the LNP moving even further to the right.

Hopefully Morrison will resign from Parliament after he looses this coming Saturday and the likes of Eric Abetz (nephew of Nazi Uncle Otto) will loose his senate position.

by Anonymousreply 33May 16, 2022 5:50 AM

Scomo looked like a gorilla dancing at his fundie church event

by Anonymousreply 34May 16, 2022 8:57 AM

Scumo washing that woman's hair was the bizarres stunt I've even seen any politician partake in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 16, 2022 9:03 AM

R35, amazed he didn't claim it wasn't his job....

by Anonymousreply 36May 16, 2022 9:08 AM

R36 His holding a hose!!!!!!! WTF

by Anonymousreply 37May 16, 2022 9:19 AM

Do you see Albo holding a hose in order to put out bushfires?

Did you see Albo do anything while pretending to be in charge of infrastructure in the Rudd/Gillard/Rudd regime?

Did you ever see Albo in a real job in the free-enterprise commercial world?

by Anonymousreply 38May 16, 2022 9:20 PM

Albo successfully managed projects in the several 10th of billions of dollars range when he was minister for infrastructure and development.

by Anonymousreply 39May 16, 2022 9:30 PM

[quote] Albo successfully managed projects

Such as what?

The non-existent fast train linking Sydney and Melbourne?

The non-existent new Second Sydney Airport?

Albo sat on his hands.

by Anonymousreply 40May 16, 2022 10:58 PM

But Albo never had the power to really make change happen.

Rudd was a crazy ego-maniac. Gillard beholden to the right wing Christian Union & Australia Christian Lobby.

Ablo has shown that he can be faithful to leaders of all shades (Beazley, Rudd, Gillard & Shorten) and never white anted any of them in any way. He has always been a team player but comes from a very humble background. He is the best person to lead the country only shame is is that he 1) has a huge mess to clean up 2) he has a lot of bad people under him.

And watch Bill Shorten undermine him. That cunt should have quit politics when he lost the unlooseable election back in May 2019.

by Anonymousreply 41May 17, 2022 3:36 AM

[quote] I think R17 is making a joke that I am worse than Hitler (but feminized) because I started a thread when there was already a thread....

Oh, now I get it. Kind of funny/clever I must admit.

by Anonymousreply 42May 17, 2022 3:58 AM

[quote] He has always been a team player but comes from a very humble background.

I know this ugly, foul-mouthed man and his sad wife.

He would boast about how his father deserted him as though that were some badge of pride. He'd boast about his janky teeth as if that were a sign of his working-class integrity.

Eventually The ALP Minders told him that his fat gut and janky teeth were a turn-off for the fickle dopey voters.

by Anonymousreply 43May 17, 2022 7:41 AM

R43 Sad former wife.

He is going to be the next Australian Prime Minister.

by Anonymousreply 44May 17, 2022 9:21 AM

If he wins on Saturday, y'all have to recalibrate your view of Albo!

Shorten better stay away from Albo, he already knifed one talented prime minister he didn't like because he thought he should have gotten the job.

Fuckin ugly, nasty Bill Shorten!

by Anonymousreply 45May 17, 2022 11:46 AM

I didn't know there were so manty Australians on DL.

by Anonymousreply 46May 17, 2022 1:20 PM

I spoke to the election attendant (or whatever the title is) and he said only New York and San Francisco have the in person overseas voting in the US.

by Anonymousreply 47May 17, 2022 10:10 PM

[quote]Do you see Albo holding a hose in order to put out bushfires?

Way to miss the point, R38. Morrison's excuse for holidaying in Hawaii during the bushfires was "I don't hold a hose, mate." Nobody expected him, or Albo, to hold a hose, and in fact the firefighters would have been appalled if they'd showed up wanting to. Albo, as he also did with Covid, didn't try to score political points off a situation that was already dire, and good on him.

The reason that line is so often quoted is that it was understood by everyone to be a fatuous excuse when he said it. (And even worse when he recently blamed his wife for the holiday.) He was never wanted here to fight a fire, he was wanted here to be the leader of a country in a time of enormous fear and peril. Do you think Ukraine wants Zelensky there because he's ace with a machine gun?

by Anonymousreply 48May 18, 2022 3:38 AM

I voted yesterday (for Plibersek). I'm glad I got it out of the way. I voted 1 - 6 on the other ballot as well. It felt good not having to figure liberals, Pauline Hansen, or Clive Palmer's shit party into my ranking. I'm getting sick of seeing his God-damn ads on my YouTube every five fucking minutes.

by Anonymousreply 49May 18, 2022 8:39 PM

R49 Oh look. Here's Cinesnatch claiming to be Australian again. Please note this for next time he turns around around and claims to be American.

by Anonymousreply 50May 18, 2022 8:41 PM

Because you can be both? You're deranged or ignorant R50.

by Anonymousreply 51May 18, 2022 9:10 PM

R51 If you're an Australian citizen (which you would have to be to vote in an Australian election) then you're no longer American.

by Anonymousreply 52May 18, 2022 9:13 PM

[quote] I voted yesterday (for Plibersek)

R49. Have you ever met this woman, face-to-face?

by Anonymousreply 53May 18, 2022 11:28 PM

I have dual citizenship too R50! I have two passports. German and Australian.

1/3 of all Australians were born overseas.

by Anonymousreply 54May 19, 2022 2:38 AM

I heard Australia was a meca for foreign gay men to immigrate to as it would allow them to be more free

Is that true?

by Anonymousreply 55May 19, 2022 2:41 AM

R52 is a moron!

by Anonymousreply 56May 19, 2022 2:49 AM

Yes, R55, why not?

I know 3 American migrants; they are all rev-heads.

by Anonymousreply 57May 19, 2022 3:00 AM

You can be more than one nationality.

I'm Spanish-American. The world has changed.

by Anonymousreply 58May 19, 2022 3:02 AM

You can be more than one sex.

I'm Woke. The world has changed.

by Anonymousreply 59May 19, 2022 3:09 AM

Would he be the first PM with a non Anglo name ?

by Anonymousreply 60May 19, 2022 3:17 AM

Yes, Anthony Albabese's father was Italian. First Asian Australian foreign minister too, if Penny Wong gets the job.

by Anonymousreply 61May 19, 2022 3:25 AM

She would be a liability.

China has the ALP in their pocket.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62May 19, 2022 3:40 AM

She is not Chinese

by Anonymousreply 63May 19, 2022 3:44 AM

Moron @ R62, who sold Port Darwin to China?

Wasn't Albo, who numerous times said Labor wouldn't have OKed that deal.

Morrison was Turnbull's treasurer when this went down.

by Anonymousreply 64May 19, 2022 4:38 AM

[quote] Moron

That Darwin decision was made by some Darwin person, not the Federal government.

by Anonymousreply 65May 19, 2022 5:14 AM

R63 But she is a bully.

by Anonymousreply 66May 19, 2022 5:19 AM

Both NT state and federal government were the Liberals, moron @R65. Not only that, Morrison, who was treasurer at the time gave 20 million to the NT to make sure they OK the deal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67May 19, 2022 5:31 AM

The lease for Darwin Port would have gone through regardless of who was in power.

by Anonymousreply 68May 19, 2022 5:35 AM

R61 One of the powerful Mean Girls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69May 19, 2022 5:39 AM

No it wouldn't, both Albo and Penny Wong said they wouldn't have OKed the deal.

You'd have to be either completely corrupt or a massive brain dead fool to sell Port Darwin to China for 100 years for a one off payment of just1/2 billion dollars.

by Anonymousreply 70May 19, 2022 5:39 AM

[quote] a massive brain dead fool to sell Port Darwin to China

So you distrust China too?

What should we have done about the Solomons selling themselves to China?

by Anonymousreply 71May 19, 2022 5:43 AM

Kimberley Kitching was not without controversy. Lots of dodgy things in her past. The mean girls may not have liked her, but saying internal tensions were the cause of her heart attack is just preposterous!

by Anonymousreply 72May 19, 2022 5:44 AM

Not making mean jokes about them and rising sea levels and taking climate change serious, would be a good start R71.

by Anonymousreply 73May 19, 2022 5:54 AM

I haven't met her R53.

Do you like her?

by Anonymousreply 74May 19, 2022 6:09 AM

R74 I have met her husband. He is an ex-criminal.

by Anonymousreply 75May 19, 2022 6:11 AM

R72 You are right. However, that comment to Kitching from Penny Wrong 'If you had children, you might understand why there is a climate emergency,' is pretty much as nasty as you can get.

Wong claims she apologised to Kitching but I've not read of anyone being able to confirm that this is the case. Even so it was terrible thing to say in the first place. There is no obligation for women to have children (which Wong herself would agree) and being childless does not make one ignorant of family/children issue. After all we came families so even those of us without children know some of the issues.

Furthermore Wong herself only became a parent in 2011. Does that mean she was ignorant of climate change issues herself prior to having family - I doubt it.

Also, it was revealed that Kitching, like many women did want children but was not able to conceive. Wong just showed what a cunt she is and along with Kenneally (can the US take her back, she is very much hated in Australia) & Gallagher have now painted themselves in a corner because they will have a hard to calling out bad behaviour now that they have been found out even if they are denying any wrong doing.

I used to think highly of Penny Wong but changed my opinion of her about 2016. I don't wish to disclose why but I have a very valid reason why I no longer like her as a person or a member of Parliament. The recent bullying claims did not surprise me in the slightest but that comment to Kitching was a shock - I really never thought those words would come out of Wong's mouth.

by Anonymousreply 76May 19, 2022 6:13 AM

R75 I often wonder whether her husband sold a friend of mine H. in the 1980's which led to him being jailed where he was raped and then hung himself. He was only 19.

by Anonymousreply 77May 19, 2022 6:14 AM

[quote] Wong just showed what a cunt

Cold-blooded and ruthless. And suitable to be a politician because politicians are liars.

by Anonymousreply 78May 19, 2022 6:16 AM

He has an interesting backstory, R75. I think he also led DFCS when William Tyrrell's foster parents were gaming the system to get their way (namely get him and his sister) and freeze out the bio-parents. Braxton Slager drowned around that time as well. If I have that right.

by Anonymousreply 79May 19, 2022 6:17 AM

I have no problems criticising people who stand in the way of legislation mitigating climate change. Kitching, like I said before, was a pretty dodgy person herself and got into far worse things than what Penny Wong said to her.

by Anonymousreply 80May 19, 2022 6:21 AM

[quote] far worse things than what Penny Wong said to her.

What about the things that Penny Wong said about her? Those things which led to the heart attack. The bitching behind closed doors? The backstabbing?

Here's that good picture of 'the Three Witches' in their coven cackling away—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81May 19, 2022 6:32 AM

R80 Each to their own opinions. But Wong will never live that sentence down. It will keep coming back to haunt her and not in a good way.

Personally climate change is no longer an issue for me because I think we have passed the point that anything we do will not make any difference. I certainly think action should be taken but it is going to be too little, too late. I used to vote for the Greens from around 1998 to 2012 but moved away from them at a Federal level largely due to some anti-Semitism that started to creep into part of the party.

At least an ALP win will get climate change action underway to some degree which is the morally right thing to do.

by Anonymousreply 82May 19, 2022 6:33 AM

Oh come on, Penny Wong's comment made to Kimberley Kitching in 2019 was not the reason for Kitching's heart attack in 2022.

by Anonymousreply 83May 19, 2022 6:42 AM

R83 is not Kimberley Kitching's husband and did not see her die.

by Anonymousreply 84May 19, 2022 6:50 AM

Reg Kimberley Kitching's husband ...

Meanwhile, amid the detritus of the bursting of the dotcom bubble, Landeryou's [husband] online sports betting company had gone belly-up. Retailing tycoon Solomon Lew, worth about $900 million at the time, had invested in the company and was furious, demanding he be paid back $3 million. Landeryou responded by leaving the country for five months. Insisting she had no idea where her husband was or when he was coming back, Kitching filed for bankruptcy in 2005.

Her financial statement of affairs from the time makes for grim reading. The 35-year-old owed $42,000 on her car, had $6600 in unpaid parking fines and owed her father $35,700. She claimed to have just $60 in three bank accounts. To help repay the debt to Lew, Kitching sold the Parkville mansion at auction for $1.84 million and moved into an apartment in the city on her own.

A Herald Sun headline from the time screamed "Labor rat left me bankrupt: civic star to lose her mansion", capturing how scandalised Melbourne was by the saga. The Age summarised the affair as "The tycoon, the socialite, the missing husband and the millions". One gossip columnist reported Kitching had been spotted in a T-shirt with the slogan "boys lie".

In April 2005 Landeryou returned from overseas, revealing he had been in Costa Rica, and was promptly arrested; he'd ignored a summons to appear in court over the student union liquidation. Surprising onlookers by declining to apply for bail, he spent a weekend in the Melbourne Assessment Prison before being released. Although the liquidator issued a multimillion-dollar writ against Landeryou and others, he never had to pay any damages and was not charged over the matter.

Separated from her husband, no longer on the council and ejected from her home. Kitching couldn't believe how far she had fallen. "It was the toughest time of my life," she says now. "Things had been pretty blessed until then."

Slowly but surely, she started putting her life back together. She settled her debts and in 2006 her bankruptcy was annulled – a crucial move as undischarged bankrupts are not allowed to enter Parliament. Kitching took on a corporate affairs job with human relations firm Drake International. She then became an adviser to the Brumby government in Victoria, first to industry minister Theo Theophanous and then to treasurer John Lenders. And she got back together with Landeryou.

"Many people were telling me I should get divorced and I thought about it, but I took my marriage vows seriously." The whole experience, she says, changed her forever. "There are some people I really like, in which case I am very unguarded. But there are fewer of those people now. I know what it's like to be gossiped about, so I'm very good at keeping secrets."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85May 19, 2022 6:57 AM

Kimberley Kitching's own husband did far worse to Kitching than Penny Wong!

by Anonymousreply 86May 19, 2022 6:59 AM

This man so sexy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87May 19, 2022 8:20 AM

R87 Jim Chalmers looks like a chimpmunk.

by Anonymousreply 88May 19, 2022 8:31 AM

^ He looks like Ryan Reynolds or Jimmy Stewart or Jordan Petersen if you squint.

by Anonymousreply 89May 19, 2022 8:38 AM

Jason Clare is the sexiest man in Australian politics.

Andrew Hastings is also hot but it hard to get past the mad right wing views.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90May 19, 2022 8:45 AM

Can the US please take Kristina Kenneally back?

We'll do a trade. Sean Penn, Mel Gibson? Hell we'll even trade Kristina for Will & Jada.

by Anonymousreply 91May 19, 2022 8:48 AM

[quote] Kristina Kenneally

She claims to be a socialist yet lives in one of the most expensive suburbs in the state.

by Anonymousreply 92May 19, 2022 9:22 AM

She is a consverative Catholic. And she is Eddie Obeid's girl, despite what she says.

by Anonymousreply 93May 19, 2022 9:29 AM

[quote] Jason Clare is the sexiest man in Australian politics.

He was so melodramatic at that news conference about the so-called "Darkest Day in Sport".

He sounded as though he was announcing some nation-shattering news such as China had dropped an atom bomb.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94May 19, 2022 9:52 AM

R94 I'm sure that atomic bomb is heading our way soon.......

by Anonymousreply 95May 19, 2022 9:55 AM

Emma Husar got the hots for Jason Clare

by Anonymousreply 96May 19, 2022 12:34 PM

R96 That's a lie.

by Anonymousreply 97May 19, 2022 1:26 PM

I like Andrew Charlton

by Anonymousreply 98May 19, 2022 1:34 PM

R98 Well he ain't elected yet and he is a blow in. Hate it when parties do that - drop someone who doesn't live in an area to run as a candidate. Both sides are guilty of it and it has been going on since forever. Yeah he is cute and fuckable.

So is Chris Minnsl. He the leader of the ALP opposition in NSW. Only problem with him is he a practicing Catholic but he'd be an improvement over Dominic Perrottet. Everyone hates Perrottet and he gives out major creep vibes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99May 19, 2022 1:39 PM

I wonder if there’s a chance that David Pocock could be elected, moving him to the top of the sexiest politician list?

by Anonymousreply 100May 20, 2022 2:35 AM

R98 He's gorgeous but he's another faux-socialist hypocrite.

by Anonymousreply 101May 20, 2022 2:59 AM

R91, why would we take Mel Gibson? He's always been American. He was in Australia for some formative years but he never lost his accent.

by Anonymousreply 102May 20, 2022 5:21 AM

That Solomon Islands debacle is getting even more ugly for Morrison!

[quote]Foreign Minister Marise Payne proposed doubling Australia’s Pacific aid months before the Solomon Islands-China security pact but the Cabinet’s National Security Committee rejected the proposal.

Members of the NSC

Chair: Scott Morrison

Deputy Chair: Barnaby Joyce

Members: Frydenberg, Marise Payne, Peter Dutton, Simon Birmingham, Karen Andrews, Michaelia Cash

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103May 20, 2022 5:28 AM

And Sky News reported this?? (For our US friends, that's essentially Fox.)

by Anonymousreply 104May 20, 2022 6:12 AM

Scott Morrison's latest promo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105May 20, 2022 6:24 AM

Peter Dutton is our sexiest politician and soon to be Opposition Leader once Scomo loses tomorrow and quits to become a full time curry chef.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106May 20, 2022 6:26 AM

[quote]And Sky News reported this??

Looks like it. Not that unusual though, remember when it was Fox news who called Arizona for Biden.

I wonder who leaked this to the press? Barnaby or Payne herself. They all hate Morrison's bulldozer bully gut.

by Anonymousreply 107May 20, 2022 8:40 AM

R106. I wonder how long he'll survive?

Not like a chronic backstabbing disorder hasn't been an issue in Australian politics before.

by Anonymousreply 108May 20, 2022 8:55 AM

[quote]Not like a chronic backstabbing disorder hasn't been an issue in Australian politics before.

Tell me about it! I still feel nauseous when somebody just mentions Bill Shorten and Julia Gillard.

- Kevin07

by Anonymousreply 109May 20, 2022 8:59 AM

R109 I still feel the knife wounds.

by Anonymousreply 110May 20, 2022 9:02 AM

Sexiest Oz politician is new Labor Premier of South Australia, Peter Malinauskas

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111May 20, 2022 9:04 AM

R111 Another consverative Christian - just what the fucking country needs.

by Anonymousreply 112May 20, 2022 9:17 AM

R110 You deserve them, you spinless cunt Turnbullshit.

Lucy and me......

by Anonymousreply 113May 20, 2022 9:19 AM

Bye Scomo

by Anonymousreply 114May 21, 2022 10:54 AM

Looking forward to starting off the day tomorrow on a great note.

by Anonymousreply 115May 21, 2022 11:38 AM

Western Australia results comming in. LNP vote appears to have collapsed.

by Anonymousreply 116May 21, 2022 11:46 AM

Bye Tim Wilson

by Anonymousreply 117May 21, 2022 11:49 AM

Bye Kristina Kenneally.

Bye Josh.

Bye Scumo.

Good riddance to you all.

by Anonymousreply 118May 21, 2022 2:19 PM

Australia is fucked. I already have family members who still live there hitting me up begging for me to vouch for them to get a visa to move here to the US. I told them to start learning Chinese.

by Anonymousreply 119May 21, 2022 2:24 PM

You don't need a visa to move to the US, R119. Just show up. You'll also be given a free phone.

by Anonymousreply 120May 21, 2022 2:47 PM

Who the hell would want to move to the USA and why would you need Chinese more here than in Australia? George Soros stopped funding the Obamaphone program in 2016 anyway.

by Anonymousreply 121May 21, 2022 3:42 PM

R121 I told them to learn Chinese because they're never escaping Australia and will need to learn Chinese because they own just about everything in Australia at this point. Type "walking in Brisbane" into Youtube and watch any video. You'd think you're in Beijing.

by Anonymousreply 122May 21, 2022 3:45 PM

Is Australia going “woke”?

by Anonymousreply 123May 21, 2022 4:35 PM

Australia's next Governor General will now be a trannie, no doubt.

by Anonymousreply 124May 21, 2022 4:39 PM

Why do idiot right wing antitrannie bots take over every single thread on DL??

I’m about to completely give up on this place.

by Anonymousreply 125May 21, 2022 7:10 PM

Great day to be Australian! Bring on the integrity commission!

And if your family moves to the USA, best get them a bullet proof vest each for day to day wear.

by Anonymousreply 126May 21, 2022 10:39 PM

Many gays lost their seats!

Zimmerman, Wilson & Evans all gone.

Australia HATES the gays!

by Anonymousreply 127May 22, 2022 12:44 AM

R127 Who is Evans?

by Anonymousreply 128May 22, 2022 12:55 AM

Seat of Brisbane.

by Anonymousreply 129May 22, 2022 12:57 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130May 22, 2022 12:59 AM

Thank you, R129

[quote] Trevor Evans announced his engagement to obstetrician Roger Martin in 2021.

by Anonymousreply 131May 22, 2022 1:07 AM

When did you stop spelling Labor with a "u" in Australia?

by Anonymousreply 132May 22, 2022 1:11 AM

Labour is still spelt with a "u" in a general sense.

I don't know why the Party chose to call themselves Labor without the "u".

I'm sure there is some convoluted reason why.

by Anonymousreply 133May 22, 2022 1:14 AM

The Labor Party dropped the 'U' because of this liar.

He was an American who wanted the American spelling of the word. He was an American who lied and claimed he was Canadian. He was the American who jigged the rules so that an American architect named Griffin could design the capital city.

He was the one who chose a misunderstood, phonetically-misspelled word "Can'erberry" and claimed it was an indigenous Australian word and he dreamed up a meaning to give to that word for naming the new capital city.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134May 22, 2022 1:21 AM

Idiot @R119, Albo is on his way to Japan next week to negotiate QUAD agreements.

by Anonymousreply 135May 22, 2022 1:24 AM

Albanese has plans to model his Prime Ministership on West Australian leader Mark McGowan.

Albanese said “What we saw from Premier McGowan was true character and true leadership, a responsible government that balanced social good and economic need. A clear demonstration of how investing in the health, safety and wellbeing of people underwrites a robust and growing economy.”

by Anonymousreply 136May 22, 2022 1:27 AM

What we saw from Premier McGowan was shutting down the borders and selling up all those minerals to China and Japan.

by Anonymousreply 137May 22, 2022 1:30 AM

Albo has never run a company with ten employees let alone a country of 22 million.

What we know is that there will be lots of handouts, sentimentality and a firm signal to the people-smugglers to SEND MORE BOATS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138May 22, 2022 1:37 AM

I want to know what happened to this over-sentimental, foul-mouthed, hating witch who wears more mascara than Theda Bara.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139May 22, 2022 1:58 AM

R138 = Boofhead

by Anonymousreply 140May 22, 2022 2:20 AM

I'm struggling to think of any openly gays on the federal Labor side. Not counting the lezzos.

by Anonymousreply 141May 22, 2022 2:20 AM

R140 = People-smuggler

by Anonymousreply 142May 22, 2022 2:40 AM

R135 QUAD has been going on for years and China has only grown stronger. Corporations are more powerful than governments and if they(corps) like China nothing will be done.

by Anonymousreply 143May 22, 2022 2:56 AM

R142, how desperate do you have to be to invent stories about Chinese spy ships and smuggler boats? I guess this only make sense from the defence minister who's party sold our most strategic port to China and slept when they built naval bases in our backyard.

Sit down Boofhead!!

by Anonymousreply 144May 22, 2022 3:04 AM

[quote] slept when they built naval bases in our backyard.

You're saying he was wrong to 'sleep' while acknowledging that the Chinese Empire IS a threat to the safety of the nation.

by Anonymousreply 145May 22, 2022 3:07 AM

Majority government for Albo/ALP!!

Amazing news!!

by Anonymousreply 146May 22, 2022 3:40 AM

[quote] Amazing

Are you amazed, R146?

Do you think the majority of Australian voters are sheep with short memories?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147May 22, 2022 3:47 AM

I honestly don't know what your point is here R147. Obviously Shorten, who was instrumental in the backstabbing of Rudd, didn't become PM in 2019. Albo, the guy who was critical of whatever some of his party members were doing during this whole mess, won!

by Anonymousreply 148May 22, 2022 4:00 AM

It's chilly and raining where I am in Oz but with Morrison gone as PM and Frydenberg, Tim Wilson, Gladys Liu and others out of parliament it feels like a bright, bright, sunshinny day.

by Anonymousreply 149May 22, 2022 5:44 AM

Tim Wilson is sure batting above his average when he had his husband by his side when he conceded defeat.

Who cares about Parliament.

by Anonymousreply 150May 22, 2022 5:48 AM

Tim isn't that bad looking. He could lose a few kilos and get a buzz cut.

by Anonymousreply 151May 22, 2022 5:50 AM

Their economy is going to tank

by Anonymousreply 152May 22, 2022 5:52 AM

R149 have you seen that hilarious clip of Gladys Liu?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153May 22, 2022 6:13 AM

[quote] Their economy is going to tank

Albo has never run a money-making business in his life.

Socialism is all very well until you run out of someone else's money.

by Anonymousreply 154May 22, 2022 6:16 AM

Is Tim the bottom?

What does the husband do?

by Anonymousreply 155May 22, 2022 6:18 AM

[quote] What does the husband do?

He bends his knees.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156May 22, 2022 6:33 AM

Tim Wilson & his husband.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157May 22, 2022 6:33 AM

Tim's jacket button is really struggling to hold it together there.

The husband's eyebrows say bottom.

by Anonymousreply 158May 22, 2022 6:37 AM

I slept with Tim Wilson way before the husband. Met him through mutual friends, when we were all holidaying in Waikiki, at Hulas one night about 20 years ago. A lot of Long Island iced teas later, Tim and I ended up back at my room at the Moana Surfrider. We were both drunk and traded blowjobs. His dick was average length and girth, cut, but had a smallish head. He didn’t stay the night thankfully. The next night I picked up a cute boy from Wisconsin who was way more fun.

by Anonymousreply 159May 22, 2022 7:07 AM

R122, I have been to both Brisbane and Beijing, and I promise you hand on heart that nobody will EVER mistake one for the other.

by Anonymousreply 160May 22, 2022 7:09 AM

This is definitely a climate change vote right? Also because Scomo has all the charisma of a scummy used-car salesman.

Those Queensland floods were talked about quite a bit and the conversation was not favorable to the (previous) government.

by Anonymousreply 161May 22, 2022 7:12 AM

Are people in Oz happy with results?

by Anonymousreply 162May 22, 2022 7:15 AM

[quote] charisma

R161 Do you want charisma, do you?

Do you want a pop singer to lead the country? Do you want a sexy man to lead the country? Are you 15 years old?

by Anonymousreply 163May 22, 2022 7:21 AM

R129 Blow and tell.

by Anonymousreply 164May 22, 2022 7:24 AM

I'm happy R162. The Coalition has been in the coal industry's pocket for far too long.

At least ALP seem to have a plan for moving away from coal. And Greens won big as well which is interesting.

R163. I want someone who has more than just charisma, bud. Someone who hasn't been spinning PR for the last 10 years while sitting on their hands and doing nothing about worsening environmental disasters.

Scomo is a used-car salesman, selling the environment down the river and hoping nobody notices until we're all either on fire or drowning.

by Anonymousreply 165May 22, 2022 7:26 AM

R159: Why didn't you do anal?

by Anonymousreply 166May 22, 2022 7:28 AM

[quote] At least ALP seem to have a plan for moving away from coal.

ALP says one thing in Inner-city Melbourne but says the opposite in Queensland

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167May 22, 2022 7:40 AM

R162, there is a sense of fresh optimism, especially among younger people who have found the past three years to be unacceptably oppressive, this is a win for them. The environment, the response to fire/floods, the handling of COVID with aggressive lock-downs and compulsory vaccinations, and with little help on offer for people aged 20-35 to be able to afford their own homes.

Morrison's last ditch gamble to appeal to middle class voters with incentives to trade-in their old homes to younger generations (with a $300,000 tax credit) seemed pretty desperate, and it reeked of throwing in the towel.

by Anonymousreply 168May 22, 2022 7:47 AM

R136 I hope Albo doesn't take a 'place your hands under your thighs when sitting down' attitude to Public Health.

WA has by far the worst health system in the country and cannot cope with the high level of COVID outbreaks which other states have barely managed. It has been caused by uses of neglect from both sides and to be fair to McGowan there was little he could do during the last two years with lockdowns and so on. But WA are crying out for help from the Eastern States and they are not in a position to offer any help.

by Anonymousreply 169May 22, 2022 7:54 AM

R135 Penny Wong is going to Japan with Albo. I hope she can keep her aggressive behaviour under control.

She hates men and bullies the shit out of women if they don't agree with her.

by Anonymousreply 170May 22, 2022 7:58 AM

[quote] the response to fire/floods, the handling of COVID with aggressive lock-downs and compulsory vaccinations

How would Albo have handled those differently?

[quote] especially among younger people who have found the past three years to be unacceptably oppressive,

Do you think politicians should be expected to look after your feelings?

by Anonymousreply 171May 22, 2022 8:12 AM

[quote]WA has by far the worst health system in the country and cannot cope with the high level of COVID outbreaks which other states have barely managed.

Mark McGowan and Scott Morrison interestingly saw eye to eye on a number of issues, including the handling of COVID lockdown restrictions, and the shutting down of the states.

The difference was McGowan had almost 100% support from his constituency during peak Covid, but this has led to his complacency. WA hospitals cannot even cope with the number of meth freaks and solvent-abusing Aborigines that line up for treatment during an average day. Tragic so many will die of COVID because the system is unprepared.

by Anonymousreply 172May 22, 2022 8:21 AM

R172 They never saw eye-to-eye on lockdowns.

Are you even aware that had Gladys Berejiklian (NSW) and Dan Andrews (Victoria) had not gone to Scott Morrison in late March 2020 and told him they were locking down there states which prompted Morrison to lockdown the whole of Australia we would have see mass deaths on the scale of the US & Europa.

Morrison didn't want to lockdown and the smaller states (population wise) in the early stage of the pandemic didn't know what to do and had no pull.

Berejiklian & Andrews, through there health professionals where given a good hard talk of what was around the corner and they didn't want to see what was happening in parts of Europe (Spain & Italy) and New York go be going down in Melbourne & Sydney.

Australians owe a great deal to Andrews & Berejiklian and nothing to Scumo and Mark McGowan.

by Anonymousreply 173May 22, 2022 8:28 AM

R171. If politicians expect people to vote for them than yes, they should be concerned with people's feelings.

Because people are FEELING that they are increasingly priced out of housing, especially first-home buyers, and FEELING that worsening environmental disasters need to be addressed.

You sound like one of those people saying "facts over feelings!" while completely ignoring how bad things are getting for everyday people.

by Anonymousreply 174May 22, 2022 8:43 AM

Emotionally-needy people who value feelings over facts need to get advice from their parish priest, bishop or psychologist. Or their mother.

Politicians are not paid to be your mother.

by Anonymousreply 175May 22, 2022 8:48 AM

R175. What do you think politicians are paid for? Politicians are paid to do whatever the electorate wants.

by Anonymousreply 176May 22, 2022 8:52 AM

[quote] I hope Albo doesn't take a 'place your hands under your thighs when sitting down'

Well, R169, that is exactly the stance he took during the revolving-door years of Rudd, Gillard and Rudd.

Albo was proclaimed the federal minister responsible for Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development for the years of 2007 and 2013.

Despite him living under the Sydney flightpath, he did NOTHING. The current government took the initiative.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177May 22, 2022 8:56 AM

[quote] Politicians are paid to do whatever the electorate wants

1. I want free ice cream EVERY day.

2. I want threesomes with Jim Chalmers and Andrew Charlton EVERY day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178May 22, 2022 9:00 AM

R173 He eventually realised he had no choice but to back the WA closure, due to the unbelievable popularity of McGowan in the West.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179May 22, 2022 9:18 AM

Penny Wong might be a dour, sour-faced lesbian, but that's where the stereotypes end. She is NOT a man hater.

by Anonymousreply 180May 22, 2022 9:27 AM

[quote] She is NOT a man hater.

R180 You say that as though you've had personal experience of her loves and hates.

Do tell!

by Anonymousreply 181May 22, 2022 9:39 AM

R170 I find Penny Wong smart and sharp. Where you see aggression I see assertiveness - you’re showing your age, mate!

She’ll be an amazing foreign minister.

by Anonymousreply 182May 22, 2022 9:39 AM

R182 Do you have personal, face-to-face experience of Penny Wong, just like R180 has?

by Anonymousreply 183May 22, 2022 9:42 AM

Penny Wong is most unpleasant from what I have heard from numerous people. Perisonalble to a degree but also cool and remote, especially to anybody, regardless of gender, that doesn't agree with her.

She is smart but rub her up on wrong way and the relationship will never be the same.

Anyway, thank goodness that useless cunt Kenneally is gone. She has nothing going for her. Nothing - complete garbage person.

Penny has her faults (doesn't everyone?) but at least she is smart and on the ball even though she can be tactless at times. Kenneally has NOTHING to offer the Australian public and should fuck off to obscurity where she belongs.

Kenneally loosing her seat was the highlight of the election for me. The ALP winning a majority is the second. The ALP have lots of faults (the LNP even more) but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise and it is within the best interests of all Australians that they do well.

We have had 9 years of do nothing LNP 'leadership" - I use the term loosely. The only thing of note that they accomplished was Gay Marriage and by default (thanks to Gladys & Dan) kept COVID out of the country long enough until we had vaccines that saves thousands of lives.

Beyond that the LNP have been a dreadful. Abbott, Turnbull & Morrison are a waste of space and time and set back out action on climate change by a decade.

Albo is a decent guy. Not without faults - but show be a politician from anywhere without some degree of shortcomings. Best of luck to him.

by Anonymousreply 184May 22, 2022 10:00 AM

[quote]Seat of Brisbane

My new drag name.

Thank you r129.

by Anonymousreply 185May 22, 2022 10:02 AM

Kenneally's new dye job is awful. Cheap and brassy.

by Anonymousreply 186May 22, 2022 10:05 AM

Learn how to spell Keneally, imbecile!

by Anonymousreply 187May 22, 2022 10:12 AM

[quote]Despite him living under the Sydney flightpath, he did NOTHING. The current government took the initiative.

They're not current any more, toots!

by Anonymousreply 188May 22, 2022 10:20 AM

Adam Bandt gives me the creeps. He's a sneaky, rat-man.

by Anonymousreply 189May 22, 2022 10:24 AM

I was spammed by Craig Kelly

by Anonymousreply 190May 22, 2022 10:26 AM

There is this unhinged hatred of Kristina Keneally and particularly by middle aged white males. Make of that.

by Anonymousreply 191May 22, 2022 10:57 AM

I don't understand how Kenneally was allowed to try to carpetbag her way to the Fowler seat in the first place. Did they not have anyone else they could have run?

Will Dai Le work with Labor?

by Anonymousreply 192May 22, 2022 11:00 AM

Who has slept with Alex Greenwich?

by Anonymousreply 193May 22, 2022 11:55 AM

Can't Australia confine those Murdochs that are globally assaulting democracy with their media conglomerates?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194May 22, 2022 12:18 PM

Rupert Murdoch is an American citizen. Accept all your immigrants; he's YOURS.

by Anonymousreply 195May 22, 2022 12:19 PM

I just wish Murdoch would die already. He's 91, it's about fucking time.

by Anonymousreply 196May 22, 2022 12:26 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197May 22, 2022 12:43 PM

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that the half-a-dozen “Gays for Scomo” we have in Australia have all congregated in this thread.

Suck it, losers.

by Anonymousreply 198May 22, 2022 1:00 PM

R198 Only thing worse than a sore loser is a graceless winner.

by Anonymousreply 199May 22, 2022 1:06 PM

R195 Lachlan Murdoch moved back a few years ago to Australia to feel safer for himself and his family, so he conveyed. Yet, a couple of months ago, he was honored at a NASCAR event. He and/or his dad have a big ranch in Montana. They probably own home still in NYC and California. Doesn't Rupert have a London home?

by Anonymousreply 200May 22, 2022 1:24 PM

R200 Lachlan is technically British since he was born in England.

by Anonymousreply 201May 22, 2022 1:33 PM

[quote]Only thing worse than a sore loser is a graceless winner.

When it comes to the LNP getting the complete shellacking it deserved i don’t give a flying fuck about being graceless.

Enjoy Dutton as your new leader, morons.

by Anonymousreply 202May 22, 2022 1:37 PM

Is Graceless Tame your idol, R202?

by Anonymousreply 203May 22, 2022 2:17 PM

R192 I would think so provided ALP legislation is low income earners/workers friendly.

For example I couldn't see her voting Yes in 2008 to increase the pension age from 65 to 67 but the ALP didn't need the independents to pass that through as the LNP were happy to comply.

by Anonymousreply 204May 22, 2022 2:31 PM

R192 The retiring member for Fowler had recommended a very suitable candidate. A young woman with a law degree whose parent were boat people who came to Australia in the late 1970s/early 1980s.

She would have won the seat in a heart beat.

Keneally has few friends even within the ALP party. She can never can first place on the Senate ticket because the shopies union control who gets that and they don't like her. She is hugely unpopular with the general population. People simply don't like her. I was at an 'election night' party last night. All ALP supporters in attendance (10 of us) and all but one cheered when Keneally lost the seat. Only one out of 10 were happy to see the back of her.

Time for Kristina to find something else to do because the NSW public don't want her in public life.

by Anonymousreply 205May 22, 2022 2:37 PM

My post above should read 9 out of 10 ALP supporters were happy to see the back of her.

Both major parties (and The Greens) are always putting forward unsuitable candidates and the win by an independent in Fowler should be a wake up call for them all to be more careful.

by Anonymousreply 206May 22, 2022 2:39 PM

But Andrew Charlton got in. It was always going to be difficult for Kristina with the independents surge

by Anonymousreply 207May 22, 2022 2:47 PM

The Libs get to keep Alan Tudge. God has a sense of humour.

by Anonymousreply 208May 22, 2022 6:43 PM

[quote] Who has slept with Alex Greenwich?

I was tempted by his large eyes and olive skin. But when I got closer I realised he had two skinny sticks for legs.

Ten years later, his cheeks and his stomach have become chubbier.

by Anonymousreply 209May 22, 2022 8:13 PM

R197 = a bitchy article from one media company about another is unsurprising and un-newsworthy.

by Anonymousreply 210May 22, 2022 8:18 PM

[quote] it deserved

R202 You speak with the fervour of the morally superior.

by Anonymousreply 211May 22, 2022 8:26 PM

That's false R177. It was Albo who put the plan on the map for a new airport when he was minister of infrastructure. Abbott didn't want to further develop it.

by Anonymousreply 212May 22, 2022 8:38 PM

No, he didn't. We would have heard about it if he did, especially as most of Albo's property portfolio is under the flightpath.

LiIy-livered governments have been dithering over the airport decision since the 1950s.

by Anonymousreply 213May 22, 2022 8:46 PM

You're an idiot R213, sit down and die in a grease fire!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214May 22, 2022 9:02 PM

[quote]You speak with the fervour of the morally superior.

You don’t need to be morally superior to see the LNP are a pack of arseholes.

Just moral.

by Anonymousreply 215May 22, 2022 10:05 PM

Tim Wilson has two pugs that he dotes on. It's not very masculine.

by Anonymousreply 216May 23, 2022 3:02 AM

Is it more masculine than you, dear R216?

by Anonymousreply 217May 23, 2022 3:08 AM

R217 Not at all.

by Anonymousreply 218May 23, 2022 3:09 AM

Even Penny Wong is more masc than Tim

by Anonymousreply 219May 23, 2022 3:09 AM

One good thing that arose over this ugly election was the rise of the so-called “Teals’.

Some of these “Teals’ may be wacky and incompetent and they may have been funded by a secretive multi-millionaire industrialist (Simon Holmes à Court). But at least it means a lessening of power for the two clumsy, big parties (which is America’s big burden).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220May 23, 2022 3:27 AM

Now is when any Teals who are incompetent loons will rise to the surface to throw everything into chaos.

by Anonymousreply 221May 23, 2022 3:31 AM

Lachlan Murdoch is now said to be as conservative as his father, perhaps even more so. So Rupert expiring under Jerry Hall isn't a solve-all.

Which is ironic for those of us who remember Lachlan's life in early 2000s Sydney.

by Anonymousreply 222May 23, 2022 3:36 AM

The teals are actually very highly successful women from a range of professions from business to the medical field to journalism.

Saying they are whacky and incompetent is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 223May 23, 2022 4:02 AM

R222 I remember back then all the stories about Lachlan and what he got up to. I was surprised how conservative he has become.

Perhaps some kind of over compensation, I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 224May 23, 2022 4:05 AM

Albo looking like a real Prime Minister, already on the job, jetting off to Japan with Penny Wong for the QUAD meeting, not the corrupt idiot who probably will land in prison when looked at under the scrutiny of a federal ICAC.

by Anonymousreply 225May 23, 2022 4:34 AM

Did Lachlan find Jesus, or just belonging, in the right wing shit he's now wedded to?

by Anonymousreply 226May 23, 2022 5:08 AM

Does Penny Wong have a cane?

by Anonymousreply 227May 23, 2022 5:36 AM

The 'teals' have zero control or influence. The ALP have won the right to Govern in the House of Reps and can completely ignore them and the other independents. Not to mention the LNP.

Only in the Senate will they have to negotiate legislation and that will be with the crazy Greens and possibly some crazies like Pauline Hanson who may increase her numbers in the Senate. One can always depend on Pauline to come out with crazy talk and do crazy things but she does offer some unintended comic relief.

by Anonymousreply 228May 23, 2022 6:02 AM

[quote] … for those of us who remember Lachlan's life in early 2000s Sydney.

[quote] … all the stories about Lachlan and what he got up to

Spill!

What goss do you have on this former cutie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229May 23, 2022 6:09 AM

R228 What news sites are you getting your info from?

All the news I read is that Pauline is about to lose her seat altogether, let alone increase numbers in the Senate.

by Anonymousreply 230May 23, 2022 6:15 AM

[quote] Albo looking like a real Prime Minister

What do they look like?

Albo's clothes are chosen by the ALP Public Relations Grooming Department. And they fixed his bad teeth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231May 23, 2022 6:22 AM

[quote] secretive multi-millionaire industrialist (Simon Holmes à Court)

His super-rich brother used to be cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232May 23, 2022 6:29 AM

[quote]What do they look like?

Jesus fucking Christ are you a complete moron? Sorry, you're an LNP voter so it's a stupid question to ask.

by Anonymousreply 233May 23, 2022 6:32 AM

The latest I've read R230 is that she will probably retain her Senate seat though the Legalise Cannabis party is catching up to her. Fingers crossed and celebratory joint rolled for if ... I also read that her party's primary vote went up but that was because this time it fielded candidates in most electorates. In electorates where they'd ran before it went down. So this election was in no way a triumph for her or the even worse UAP. As you probably know, their leader, Craig Kelly, only got 8% of the vote in his own seat and is out of parliament and the UAP got no Reps seats and may, but may not, take one Senate seat. So all in all not a good night for our homegrown RWNJs. It was a good night for Labor, obviously, and the Greens and all those independents. Since nearly all of them ran on climate change and setting up an anti-corruption commission I'm happy for their success.

Don't know what state you are in but here in NSW the Senate paper was nuts with so many niche parties that it was hard to find six to vote for without inadvertently giving the sixth number to some bunch of ratbags.

by Anonymousreply 234May 23, 2022 7:10 AM

R224. I'm sure Lachlan is as conservative, if not more, than his horrible father.

But I wonder if he is as committed to his father's media empire as he was.

Wasn't it under Lachlan that 21st Century was acquired by Disney?

by Anonymousreply 235May 23, 2022 8:48 AM

Do Rupert and Jerry have sex, and if so what rock wife stuff does she have to do to get him off?

by Anonymousreply 236May 23, 2022 9:36 AM

R235, Lachlan is far right, more so than his father. He's an evil little s*it. I can't believe that wife of his is still with him....must be for the money!!

by Anonymousreply 237May 23, 2022 9:49 AM

The wife was allegedly absolutely mortified to find that after the Murdochs sold 20th Century Fox, all her so called Hollywood friends immediately dumped her and she became a social pariah. All that was left after then was a right wing media empire and she fled to Sydney.

by Anonymousreply 238May 23, 2022 9:57 AM

R230 The ABC.

Some other minor party are doing well in QLD but it depends where the preferences flow. Pauline current QLD quota is .5349. The Legalise Cannabis Party quota is .4399 (source AEC website).

All the talk of Pauline missing out, which is within the realms of possibility, are to some degree due new stories to get clicks (aka click bait).

Most of the votes from Clive Palmer will flow to Pauline along with other minor right wing parties. Even some LNP and ALP votes will flow on to Pauline because neither of the parties will get a third senator up. The Cannabis Party will probably pick up some votes from Left Leaning Parties. Yes, Pauline is under threat but only current numbers and projections she will probably just retain her seat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239May 23, 2022 10:40 AM

Sarah O’Hare is a former Wonderbra model. There is not way she could do better than Lachlan financially.

by Anonymousreply 240May 23, 2022 10:40 AM

I actually think the real winners of the election where The Greens. For a decade now they had hit a glass ceiling but now have 12 senators. It will take them a number of elections to increase that number but it isn't going down. Plus they appear to have taken a small number of lower house seats from the LNP & ALP.

Second runner ups are the independents who slaughtered the LNP in a number of very safe seats and the taking of Fowler from the ALP who took them for granted.

Biggest losers - the LNP. If they don't reinvent themselves and move more to the centre they are going to spend an awfully long time in opposition.

Second biggest losers - the ALP. But they won you say. Yes they did but no by a large margin and only by a couple of seats to prevent a hung parliament. Also, they only received just over 30% of the primary vote. Even the biggest losers the LNP got about 36% primary vote. Australians are deserting the major parties in droves and the ALP & LNP only have themselves to blame. Problem with a primary vote of 30% is that if the ALP piss off people who voted for them at this election that primary vote will drop lower and anything is possible next election.

Unemployment will rise, interest rates will rise, inflation will rise - all things that Governments can do very little to address. These may go against the ALP at the next election but I sense that more people are aware that Governments have less power on these issues.

The biggest issues that they need to address is climate change (even if we have passed the point of no return, we morally have to act on it even though it probably too late) and a Federal ICAC. Most other things are just window dressing.

by Anonymousreply 241May 23, 2022 10:53 AM

Penny Wong will oust Albo and be prime minister. Guaranteed

by Anonymousreply 242May 23, 2022 10:55 AM

Penny Wong knows there are two reasons she will never be PM.

by Anonymousreply 243May 23, 2022 11:00 AM

r243 what the problem, all Asians like eating pussy

by Anonymousreply 244May 23, 2022 11:05 AM

I honestly don't think her race would prevent her from taking the top job in 2022.

The fact she's 1: an assertive woman and 2: a butch dyke means she'll never be PM.

by Anonymousreply 245May 23, 2022 11:08 AM

R242 Penny Wong cannot be Prime Minister because she is a Senator and the Prime Minister must be from the House of Representatives.

Unless, she moves to the lower house she cannot even be considered and I doubt that will ever happen.

Albo needs to watch his back from the likes of Bill Shorten, Chris Bowen and Andrew Leigh - real snakes in the grass.

Like her or love her Penny Wong, like Albo has always been loyal to the leader of the party, whether they are in power or in opposition.

by Anonymousreply 246May 23, 2022 11:17 AM

[Quote] NSW the Senate paper was nuts with so many niche parties that it was hard to find six to vote for without inadvertently giving the sixth number to some bunch of ratbags.

I wonder how many voted for legalise marijuana??

by Anonymousreply 247May 23, 2022 12:05 PM

[quote]Second biggest losers - the ALP.

They will form government and it’s looking increasingly likely they will have a progressive Senate. When it comes to what matters, they are the biggest winners. Yes, their primary vote was poor but they have a massive opportunity to implement a progressive platform. Definitely not losers - yet. Hopefully they don’t fuck up this golden opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 248May 23, 2022 12:07 PM

[quote] Albo needs to watch his back from the likes of Bill Shorten, Chris Bowen and Andrew Leigh - real snakes in the grass.

No one white ants better than I did!

by Anonymousreply 249May 23, 2022 1:10 PM

Yes, as if you can talk Kev.

by Anonymousreply 250May 23, 2022 2:08 PM

R203 = Bettina Arndt.

by Anonymousreply 251May 23, 2022 2:24 PM

Does anybody on here know that Grace Tame was married to Spencer Breslin, the sister of Abigail Breslin?

What wrong with that marriage - it didn't seem to have lasted too long.

Grace has a big mouth but you never hear anything about her failed marriage to Spencer Breslin. Really odd think.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252May 23, 2022 2:35 PM

I knew about her divorce because she mentioned it interviews. She didn’t gossip about Abigail’s dartboard with images of Emma Stone and Saoirse Ronan, but it’s not like it was a big secret.

The press was more interested in her criticism of Scomo and and his frau wife’s offence because that gets more mileage.

by Anonymousreply 253May 23, 2022 2:53 PM

Looks like hunky ex rugby player David Pocock will beat the liberal for the second senate spot in Canberra.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254May 23, 2022 2:59 PM

Bill Shorten needs an ambassador job in a far away country. Get him out of the country. He and Albo are not close and Shorten is a nasty fucker who could bring out the knife again.

Penny Wong is a very intelligent woman, but she needs to loosen up and be more personable. Her aloofness isn't going to help dealing with foreign representatives.

by Anonymousreply 255May 23, 2022 9:54 PM

R2486 You’re not quite right. There is no Constitutional law that Prime Ministers must be from the House (Gorton was a Senator at the start of his Prime Ministership) but it is completely impractical for them to not be. Same with Treasurer.

If a Senator is seen as a future PM, they switch and run for the House of Reps.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256May 23, 2022 9:59 PM

Jerry Hall would do stuff that would make your head spin.

by Anonymousreply 257May 24, 2022 8:20 AM

^ I wish she'd spin Ruperts head off!

by Anonymousreply 258May 24, 2022 8:22 AM

Honestly I think she's rather he lived. It's not all about the money. She also likes being on the arm of a powerful man and the reflected relevance.

by Anonymousreply 259May 24, 2022 8:25 AM

Dai Le’s citizenship is in question.

by Anonymousreply 260May 25, 2022 5:57 AM

R260 Probably another media beat up and even if it is she can sort it out and a by-election would produce the same result provided the ALP ran with the unelectable Keneally.

by Anonymousreply 261May 25, 2022 6:03 AM

[quote] would produce the same result provided the ALP ran with the unelectable Keneally.

There’s no way they’d be that stupid. I think a consequence of this election is a much stronger focus on candidates reflecting the electorate into the future. The “teal wave” could just as easily undermine Labor.

by Anonymousreply 262May 25, 2022 6:31 AM

South Vietnam no longer exists. She is Australian.

by Anonymousreply 263May 25, 2022 7:15 AM

If she’s disqualified, will there be a by election or the seat goes to Kristina as the next candidate with the most votes ?

by Anonymousreply 264May 25, 2022 7:23 AM

Kristina has already moved home apparently so that woulds be a bit awkward.

by Anonymousreply 265May 25, 2022 7:24 AM

^ sadly she won't be going to her real home...Nevada. Scotland Island must be sick of her already?

by Anonymousreply 266May 25, 2022 8:15 AM

[quote] The “teal wave” could just as easily undermine Labor

They would have to run on a different agenda than a federal ICAC and green policies. The disaffected Liberal voters were suburbanites and urbanites (ie the vast majority of the population) who tired of the party being swayed by a minority of country and rural pro-coal and pro-deforestation voters who thought the environment and corruption are the PC concerns of latte-drinking city dwellers.

Labor is pro-ICAC and will diversify environmental concerns.

by Anonymousreply 267May 25, 2022 8:20 AM

R264 If she is disqualified there would have to be a by-election. I doubt the ALP would run Keneally again.

Hopefully we've seen the last of Keneally.

by Anonymousreply 268May 25, 2022 9:31 AM

They should make her pay for the by election

by Anonymousreply 269May 25, 2022 9:35 AM

The "teals" are a voting block that has existed since Australia federated. They used to have their own Liberal Party before it amalgamated with the old United Australia Party and Country Party to form a single centre right coalition. The Coalition is a sometimes uneasy alliance of fiscally conservative liberals, hard line Tories and agrarian socialists. The urban, upper middle class, small L liberals couldn't bring themselves to vote for their aggressively Tory dominated party (Liberals) those awful people in overalls and greasy hospital uniforms (Labor) or hippies who probably have nits (Greens), so they voted for "nice ladies, like us", Effectively the conservative side of politics have lost one of their most reliable voting blocks.

This group are well educated enough to know climate change is real and a massive threat to their comfortable lives. They also move in high enough circles to know Scomo and company were involved in a lot of grey and even black corruption. So they want Labor to do the hard work and take the hits for them.

by Anonymousreply 270May 25, 2022 10:58 PM

R270 Are you suggesting these teals are over-educated, over-rich, and lazy?

by Anonymousreply 271May 25, 2022 11:02 PM

George Clooney lookalike challenging Barnaby Joyce

by Anonymousreply 272May 27, 2022 1:26 AM

LOL, Barnaby called ABC viewers stupid when asked about leadership change in the Nationals.

by Anonymousreply 273May 27, 2022 2:10 AM

Hi Australians, I have more questions for you. Do kangaroos vote more for left wing or right wing parties? Do you get tired of walking around upside down all day?

by Anonymousreply 274May 27, 2022 2:12 AM

[quote] Barnaby called ABC viewers stupid

80% of ABC viewers are 100% Teals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275May 27, 2022 2:35 AM

Why is ABC so left ?

by Anonymousreply 276May 27, 2022 2:36 AM

^ it has to balance out f*cking Murdoch and his right wing shite!!

by Anonymousreply 277May 27, 2022 3:29 AM

R276 I suppose part of the reason the ABC might be considered left leaning is that they rarely interview Green politicians and therefore don't get scrutinised like the ALP & LNP.

As the Greens are never in power or never the major opposition party probably has something to do with it. Now that the Greens are more than likely to hold the balance of power in the Senate they will face more scrutiny. Will be interesting to see how to ABC handle that.

by Anonymousreply 278May 27, 2022 3:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!