Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ncuiti Gatwa is the next Doctor Who star

(Yes, I know there's an earlier thread, where exactly the people you would expect to be getting pissy are doing so. Hoping we can get one with fewer bigots, though that may be a lost cause around here.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 381June 7, 2023 10:10 PM

Actor Ncuti Gatwa will take over from Jodie Whittaker as the star of Doctor Who, the BBC has announced.

The 29-year-old will become the 14th Time Lord on the popular science fiction show, and the first non-white performer to play the lead role.

Scottish actor Gatwa, who was born in Rwanda, is best known for starring in Netflix's sitcom Sex Education.

He said he was "deeply honoured, beyond excited and of course a little bit scared" by his new role.

He added: "This role and show means so much to so many around the world, including myself, and each one of my incredibly talented predecessors has handled that unique responsibility and privilege with the utmost care.

"I will endeavour my upmost to do the same."

Gatwa will make his debut as the Time Lord in 2023.

Showrunner Russell T Davies said Gatwa "dazzled us" in his audition.

"Sometimes talent walks through the door and it's so bright and bold and brilliant, I just stand back in awe and thank my lucky stars," Davies said.

The Queer As Folk and It's A Sin writer is returning as the programme's showrunner after departing the show in 2009.

He posted a selfie with Gatwa arriving for Sunday's Bafta Television Awards, where the actor is nominated for best male performance in a comedy programme for the third year in a row for playing Eric in Sex Education.

As well as being nominated, Gatwa will also present an award at Sunday's ceremony.

He has already won a Scottish Bafta and a Rose d'Or Award for Sex Education.

by Anonymousreply 1May 8, 2022 1:24 PM

That shit’s still on?

by Anonymousreply 2May 8, 2022 1:30 PM

He’s pretty. I’d watch to see that face and smile.

by Anonymousreply 3May 8, 2022 1:39 PM

Wow talk about award winning smile

by Anonymousreply 4May 8, 2022 1:49 PM

Yes, the racists were out in force.

It's a good choice.

It's the BAFTAs tonight and he's been nominated twice before. Hopefully he'll present.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 8, 2022 1:52 PM

I don't see race.

by Anonymousreply 6May 8, 2022 1:58 PM

I don't mind a non-white Doctor at all. But as Who is a British cultural artefact, I'd have preferred someone of Asian descent, as the biggest UK non-white demographic, rather than the default diverse = black response. There are plenty of decent British-Asian actors in the 30-ish age range these days.

by Anonymousreply 7May 8, 2022 2:16 PM

Ncuiti is fab

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 8, 2022 2:19 PM

But Dr. Who is white.

by Anonymousreply 9May 8, 2022 2:20 PM

[quote]I don't mind a non-white Doctor at all. But as Who is a British cultural artefact, I'd have preferred someone of Asian descent, as the biggest UK non-white demographic, rather than the default diverse = black response. There are plenty of decent British-Asian actors in the 30-ish age range these days.

Complaining about a black actor in a non racist way. FFS.

The current assistant and the current Master are both British Asians.

by Anonymousreply 10May 8, 2022 2:23 PM

29 is way too young and he looks even younger.

I'm going to say it because it is true: he is horribly miscast and is going to suck in the role. He got handed this role for political reasons, not because he will be a good Doctor Who.

The good doctors are all grizzled and careworn. Cast someone in his fifties, yes HIS fifties, and cast someone who is native to Britain- even if his parents are from somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 11May 8, 2022 2:29 PM

That's pretty cool.

by Anonymousreply 12May 8, 2022 2:36 PM

I don't have a problem with a woman or a black guy being the doctor.

I have a problem with an actor who is miscast. Whitaker was miscast not because she's a woman, but because she doesn't suit the role.

I'll withhold judgment on this guy until he actually plays the part, but my initial take is that he's not someone I would have cast. Not that they could have ever gotten him, but I could some someone like Chiwetel Ejiofor in the role more than this guy.

by Anonymousreply 13May 8, 2022 2:37 PM

[quote]29 is way too young and he looks even younger.

Matt Smith was younger when he was cast and that worked out well. And Peter Davison did a great job and was also 29 when he started in the role.

[quote]I'm going to say it because it is true: he is horribly miscast and is going to suck in the role. He got handed this role for political reasons, not because he will be a good Doctor Who.

Russell T Davies disagrees.

[quote]The good doctors are all grizzled and careworn. Cast someone in his fifties, yes HIS fifties, and cast someone who is native to Britain- even if his parents are from somewhere else.

"Native to Britain". Oh just fuck off you racist troll.

by Anonymousreply 14May 8, 2022 2:39 PM

Sweet. Finally a gay Doctor.

by Anonymousreply 15May 8, 2022 2:51 PM

I’ve only ever seen him in Sex Education, where his performance is effortlessly gorgeous. He’s a very fine actor.

And he’s also very beautiful.

I might have to start watching it again, after giving up early in the Peter Capaldi era.

by Anonymousreply 16May 8, 2022 2:57 PM

R14 Matt Smith was AWFUL. What are you smoking?

Doctor Who is a quintessentially British character, he exists to comment on British culture. You need to have a deep understanding of the people, the psyche, and the mindset to pull it off. Someone that young, who likely spent much of his youth identifying as Rwandan and not Scottish, doesn't have that understanding of the role.

Be careful before you start lecturing Americans about ethnic identity and immigration. We are the ones who know about this, not you.

by Anonymousreply 17May 8, 2022 3:00 PM

He wasn't on my list of potentials at all, but I am excited to see what he does with the role, as I like him on Sex Education. I don't have a problem with a younger Doctor, as I liked both Tennant and Smith, who were both on the younger end of the Doctor's incarnations.

R17, I don't think Matt Smith was awful at all. I thought he stepped into the role after one of the most popular actors to play it left. That is a difficult position. It was a bit rough at first, but he absolutely grew into the role. I didn't like him at first, and I will admit that in part it was because he wasn't Tennant. In the end he wound up being one of my favorite Doctors. He brought a manic energy to the role, and was able to express the massive weight of the responsibility that comes with being The Doctor.

[quote] I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street level maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, 12 jammy dodgers and a fez...!

by Anonymousreply 18May 8, 2022 3:10 PM

Wouldn't have thought of him, but loved him in Sex Education. Good choice!

After having dropped out during the Moffatt years, I trust RTD with reviving the franchise.

by Anonymousreply 19May 8, 2022 3:16 PM

[quote]But as Who is a British cultural artefact, I'd have preferred someone of Asian descent, as the biggest UK non-white demographic, rather than the default diverse = black response.

The let us pit the races against each other response. There's already a British-Asian on the show and she's been on it a lot longer then Freema Ageyman and Pearl Mackie were as they only got one series.

I have no doubt that if the Doctor were Asian the response would start asking, "Well why not a black person!?"

[quote]29 is way too young and he looks even younger.

Matt Smith was 26. Peter Davidson was 30.

RTD is the writer who has always known what he was doing. If he thinks he's good enough then that's it for me.

[quote]Someone that young, who likely spent much of his youth identifying as Rwandan and not Scottish, doesn't have that understanding of the role.

The Doctor is a time-traveling, space alien.

[quote]I'll withhold judgment on this guy until he actually plays the part, but my initial take is that he's not someone I would have cast.

Well, thank goodness you're not casting it. While I wouldn't have thought about him originally, I was hoping for T'Nia Miller, having watched him in Sex Education he's going to likely be a "fun" Doctor and not a gruff or serious one.

by Anonymousreply 20May 8, 2022 3:20 PM

Never watched an episode of Doctor Who, but this guy is brilliant in Sex Education

by Anonymousreply 21May 8, 2022 3:20 PM

He will be excellent in the role. Funny and a bit quirky. I shall definitely be watching again.

by Anonymousreply 22May 8, 2022 3:20 PM

r4 Yes we call that watermelon smile here

by Anonymousreply 23May 8, 2022 3:32 PM

R20 -the short version - diverse = black, and don't you forget it!

by Anonymousreply 24May 8, 2022 4:06 PM

Is R11 a time traveler? She seems freshly arrived from 1966.

by Anonymousreply 25May 8, 2022 4:13 PM

R20 You don't seem to understand the purpose of fiction, or you do understand and you agree with the political motives people like Davies have for these crazy casting choices.

There are non-white, or at least ethnically diverse, British actors who are appropriate for the role. Paul Sinha would make a great doctor, although I'm sure he would turn it down. He would bring a lot of ironic humor to the role and they could play with the idea of having an actor with actual medical training as the Doctor . We'd have a gay Doctor, too.

But that's not the point of making ridiculous casting choices like this. The political objective is to deny middle aged white men any positive media representation. If you cast someone of similar age, who complements them in most major aspects, you're treating them like valuable human beings.

You're saying age brings wisdom, tradition has value, Britain's past should influence its future. Concepts Davies doesn't appear to agree with, nor do you.

by Anonymousreply 26May 8, 2022 4:22 PM

If Russell T. Davies is back on board, im definitely in. Hated the Jodie Whittaker seasons but that had nothing to do with Jodie and everything to do with the awful writing.

by Anonymousreply 27May 8, 2022 5:11 PM

Sorry, R26.

Weird how my finger accidentally muted whatever that post was after reading the first five words.

OOPS

by Anonymousreply 28May 8, 2022 5:21 PM

R28 I already know I'm right, but I appreciate that anyway.

by Anonymousreply 29May 8, 2022 5:39 PM

YASSSSS hunty

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 8, 2022 5:43 PM

The point is a young and hot doctor: The two most successful modern doctors both fit that category.

This new guy is fucking beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 31May 8, 2022 6:16 PM

Need I ask if he's out?

by Anonymousreply 32May 8, 2022 6:16 PM

You're welcome

by Anonymousreply 33May 8, 2022 6:45 PM

R32 His titties are out.

by Anonymousreply 34May 8, 2022 7:01 PM

I think this is brilliant. He’s excelling in Sex Ed! I feel like middle aged people are just perpetually annoyed by younger actors taking roles like Dr Who. He’s a time travelling alien FFS. I’m early 30’s & I love watching emerging talent, I’d rather that than someone old. Peter Capaldi was mediocre at best & severely lacking energy!

by Anonymousreply 35May 8, 2022 7:01 PM

I think so R32..

by Anonymousreply 36May 8, 2022 7:02 PM

Doe he use a character voice in Sex Education or his that his own?

by Anonymousreply 37May 8, 2022 7:04 PM

[quote] Doctor Who is a quintessentially British character, he exists to comment on British culture.

I think we should listen to r11. I mean, what does RTD really know about producing good TV? R11 on Datalounge knows a lot more about Doctor Who than the rest of us.

by Anonymousreply 38May 8, 2022 8:16 PM

Let no one question Jesus Christ himself, Russell T. Davies.

by Anonymousreply 39May 8, 2022 8:34 PM

[quote] I mean, what does RTD really know about producing good TV?

His productions in recent years prompt many to ask that same question

by Anonymousreply 40May 8, 2022 8:36 PM

He trained at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland here in Glasgow, so he must be good. It’s in the top three of performing arts schools in the world, and it is extremely difficult to gain a place there.

by Anonymousreply 41May 8, 2022 8:43 PM

I hope they know how to light him. Everything I watch on Netflix comes out very dark and I can't see dark-skinned black people's features. I watched the English rewrite of Anne Boleyn's story with the very dark-skinned actress. Couldn't see any of her facial expressions.

by Anonymousreply 42May 8, 2022 8:44 PM

I remember being in RTD's living room and pissing him off to no end because I pretended not to recognize what his BAFTA was. I said, 'Oh, what a beautiful sculpture. (seeing the engraved plate) 'Oh, it's an award of some kind'. I wanted to ask if the "B" in BAFTA stood for Bowling, but didn't didn't because he'd guess I was having him on at that point. :)

by Anonymousreply 43May 8, 2022 8:53 PM

[quote] "That shit’s still on?"

Seriously. I watched up through Sylvester McCoy, and was done with it (I was raised on "Doctor Who" as my mother was a fan, and we'd stay up late on Saturday nights to catch it on PBS). I've seen a few bits from the reboot (the Weeping Angels episodes) and enjoyed them, but was never interested in it like I was the original series. I don't watch it, but why not have a Black Doctor? I know nothing about the actor, and it won't get me to watch, but what the hay.

by Anonymousreply 44May 8, 2022 9:41 PM

He's very cute.

by Anonymousreply 45May 8, 2022 9:42 PM

[quote] The political objective is to deny middle aged white men any positive media representation.

Since 1963, there have been 13 actors that have played, "The Doctor."

60 years since the start of the show, ONE actor, will play "The Doctor" who is black. 1 out of 14.

Now you're throwing a hissy fit and saying it's political NOW while implying that it wasn't for the past 59 years. Wait, no. You said "political objective" so apparently the casting has always been political.

[quote]Someone that young, who likely spent much of his youth identifying as Rwandan and not Scottish, doesn't have that understanding of the role.

There have been 3 other actors who are Scottish that have played the role.

Also there are far too many people overlooking the fact that the show was meant for kids and it still is child friendly for a reason. I know this is hard to believe, but kids don't really give as much of a shit about this as some people here do. "Hard to believe" because sometimes people have issues looking outside of their own world view.

As for RTD's writing, it has been hit or miss in the past few years. However, his writing revitalized this franchise even turning a single show into a group of shows that all shared the same universe. He had the network treating it like Star Trek: Doctor Who! Torchwood! The Sarah Jane Adventures! The only time people started bitching about casting decisions was when he left. He had a good grip on the show and I have no reason to believe that he has suddenly lost that.

by Anonymousreply 46May 8, 2022 10:24 PM

[quote] his writing revitalized this franchise even turning a single show into a group of shows that all shared the same universe. He had the network treating it like Star Trek

That credit goes to Terry Nation and John Nathan-Turner probably before you were born. Movies in the mid 60s starring Peter Cushing and a 1981 one for Sarah Jane, another Doctor Who revival movie aimed at America in the mid 90s, new novelizations, and a series of radio dramas beginning in the 70s continuing through the RTD era.

Davies had two fine Doctors with David Tennant and Christopher Eccleston and I did like Torchwood. But these were years ago. His work since has been meh.

by Anonymousreply 47May 8, 2022 10:58 PM

r41 not to marginalize his talent, but who could say no to that megawatt smile?

by Anonymousreply 48May 8, 2022 11:05 PM

Let me start by expressing great relief that RTD didn’t choose the early-rumoured Olly Alexander. I cringe at the thought of a casting decision made to to express a political objective, in this case having a queer Doctor, but it’s somewhat comforting when the award still goes to talent.

And now let me end by recommending R26 and all you other subtle racists get a copy of White Fragility, STAT!

by Anonymousreply 49May 9, 2022 12:04 AM

[quote]Movies in the mid 60s starring Peter Cushing and a 1981 one for Sarah Jane, another Doctor Who revival movie aimed at America in the mid 90s, new novelizations, and a series of radio dramas beginning in the 70s continuing through the RTD era.

And what does that have to do with the price of rice in China?

The show was cancelled in 1989. They failed to bring it back with a TV movie in 1996. It came back in 2005, got 10 million viewers for the first episode with Christopher Eccleston, and the series stuck.

Unless they were the ones that did it in 2005, then that doesn't contradict the fact that RTD was able to bring the show back into the mainstream when he took over.

That was the beginning for most people who are watching the series now.

by Anonymousreply 50May 9, 2022 1:12 AM

I just read that he’s another one that “refuses to discuss his sexuality”. So he will no doubt come up with some condescending reasons to obscure the fact that he’s just another closet-case. I would have been excited about his new role if not for this.

by Anonymousreply 51May 9, 2022 3:03 AM

[Quote] I just read that he’s another one that “refuses to discuss his sexuality”. So he will no doubt come up with some condescending reasons to obscure the fact that he’s just another closet-case. I would have been excited about his new role if not for this.

I hope a trick ties him to his steering wheel, like Zsa Zsa's gay husband.

by Anonymousreply 52May 9, 2022 3:15 AM

If Doctor Who can do a female companion crushing on the female Doctor this season, they better do the same with a male companion next season.

by Anonymousreply 53May 9, 2022 3:32 AM

[quote] If Doctor Who can do a female companion crushing on the female Doctor this season, they better do the same with a male companion next season.

That's tricky for a Rwandan Doctor Who. People who know them are still cautious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54May 9, 2022 3:38 AM

Besides DW being a show for a mainly British audience, was it ever explained in stories why the reincarnation always turned out to have accents from the UK and always looked white?

Also: I think it was mentioned in some of the plots but I forgot... why do time lords have human shaped bodies anyway?

by Anonymousreply 55May 9, 2022 5:09 AM

He hasn't explicitly refused to discuss his sexuality - to my knowledge no one's asked him about it in interviews and he hasn't made a statement either way. But he's obviously gay as hell.

by Anonymousreply 56May 9, 2022 5:15 AM

The accents will be down to the universal translator, R55. You hear a language or voice you can understand. The human shape because the doctor has an affinity for Earth so presumably chooses their shape. As to the white male, hopefully we are moving forward on that one.

by Anonymousreply 57May 9, 2022 9:08 AM

[QUOTE] Doctor Who is a quintessentially British character, he exists to comment on British culture. You need to have a deep understanding of the people, the psyche, and the mindset to pull it off. Someone that young, who likely spent much of his youth identifying as Rwandan and not Scottish, doesn't have that understanding of the role.

The character of the Doctor is an alien. He / she is not British. Jodie Whittaker is British and she was shit as the Doctor. Not because she's a woman, she was just very badly miscast.

[QUOTE]Be careful before you start lecturing Americans about ethnic identity and immigration. We are the ones who know about this, not you.

Sure Jan. Remind us when the UK had segregation? The UK is far from perfect on race issues, but getting lectured by the USA on it? Erm...no.

by Anonymousreply 58May 9, 2022 9:20 AM

[quote] Scottish actor Gatwa, who was born in Rwanda,

Then, he's not Scottish. He's Rwandan. And there is nothing wrong with that.

It's like saying "Irish actor Marcello, who was born in Italy".

by Anonymousreply 59May 9, 2022 9:25 AM

Is she a gay?

by Anonymousreply 60May 9, 2022 9:33 AM

^ He wore this to the TV BAFTAs last night, judge for yourself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61May 9, 2022 10:07 AM

Picking to satisfy diversity is one of the big problems to begin with. Stop using franchises as messaging platforms.

by Anonymousreply 62May 9, 2022 10:13 AM

My favourite Doctors were John Pertwee and Tom Baker because they had a strangeness that suited the character, but times change. Give Ncuti a chance. The last Doctor was a disaster because she was given scripts that made her look foolish.

by Anonymousreply 63May 9, 2022 10:22 AM

R62 - maybe he was the best actor to audition?

Unless you have insider information from the casting process where the memo went around saying "no straight white men?"

by Anonymousreply 64May 9, 2022 10:23 AM

R63 The fact that she didn't give a shit about the show also helped.

by Anonymousreply 65May 9, 2022 10:25 AM

R64 One doesn't need insider anything to see how woke the franchise has become.

by Anonymousreply 66May 9, 2022 10:27 AM

[quote] I don't see race.

And I'm cloud-blind. So it's not worth me watching this.

by Anonymousreply 67May 9, 2022 10:28 AM

Of course, Chibnall has already fucked Who to the point of wrecking it, so it doesn't really matter than much at this point.

by Anonymousreply 68May 9, 2022 10:29 AM

He cute. Hope he shows off his sonic screwdriver.

by Anonymousreply 69May 9, 2022 10:34 AM

[quote] Chibnall has already fucked Who

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70May 9, 2022 10:34 AM

Well now R59, that's an interesting take, so then pop quiz for you Kiefer Sutherland, American or British? Rose McGowan, American or Italian? Bob Hope, American or British? Spike Milligan, British or Indian? Natalie Portman, Israeli or American? Bruce Willis, American or German? Keanu Reeves, Lebanese or American? Tommy Lee, American or Greek? Kim Cattrall, British, Canadian or American?...

by Anonymousreply 71May 9, 2022 10:38 AM

[QUOTE] One doesn't need insider anything to see how woke the franchise has become.

That's a funny way to spell 'to see how more reflective of society the franchise has become"

by Anonymousreply 72May 9, 2022 10:39 AM

R72 When you prioritize social messaging over storytelling you end up with shit.

by Anonymousreply 73May 9, 2022 10:45 AM

Yes, R73. Preaching belongs in a church. Not TV.

by Anonymousreply 74May 9, 2022 10:47 AM

Great casting choice to me.

And whoever said Matt Smith wasn't a good Doctor needs to check themselves. Matt Smith may not have been "good" (your opinion) but he was incredibly popular (objective fact).

by Anonymousreply 75May 9, 2022 10:50 AM

Let's get the new Doctor off to a great start and reveal that JW's entire run was just a bad dream - or at the very least the whole "Timeless Children" horseshit was. And by the way, bring back Missy! She was much more fun than the asshole who followed her.

by Anonymousreply 76May 9, 2022 11:00 AM

R61 Does that dress have underpants?

by Anonymousreply 77May 9, 2022 11:13 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78May 9, 2022 11:45 AM

Well it's from The Daily Mail, hardly an impartial observer in the culture wars.

I'm sorry the 21st century scares you so much.

by Anonymousreply 79May 9, 2022 11:50 AM

[quote] One doesn't need insider anything to see how woke the franchise has become.

Stick with NASCAR and Tim Allen shows then.

by Anonymousreply 80May 9, 2022 11:55 AM

Love him!

by Anonymousreply 81May 9, 2022 11:58 AM

Keep you knicker son, R79.

The Mail is merely the messenger for the message is from the Royal Air Force.

by Anonymousreply 82May 9, 2022 11:59 AM

[quote]Well now [R59], that's an interesting take, so then pop quiz for you Kiefer Sutherland, American or British? Rose McGowan, American or Italian? Bob Hope, American or British? Spike Milligan, British or Indian? Natalie Portman, Israeli or American? Bruce Willis, American or German? Keanu Reeves, Lebanese or American? Tommy Lee, American or Greek? Kim Cattrall, British, Canadian or American?...

I'm a huge fan of Indian actresses Joanna Lumley and Julie Christie.

I'm not a fan of the American Prime Minister of the UK, Boris Johnson. I want a proper Brit as PM, not a New Yorker.

by Anonymousreply 83May 9, 2022 12:12 PM

[quote]My favourite Doctors were John Pertwee and Tom Baker because they had a strangeness that suited the character,

JON Pertwee. : ). But yes, Pertwee and Tom Baker were 2 of the best original Doctors and both had tremendous screen presence. Baker in particular is probably still the definitive version and it's unlikely any Doctor will ever beat his record of 7 seasons.

by Anonymousreply 84May 9, 2022 12:56 PM

[quote][R62] - maybe he was the best actor to audition?

R64 sounds so naive.

A few years ago, when Disney announced that they were adapting their animated HERCULES for the stage, they specifically stated that they wanted a POC for the lead role.

And when they were remaking THE LION KING, they again specifically stated that they wanted black actors only for the lions (i.e., main parts). So James Earl Jones could reprise his role; Jeremy Irons and others could not.

I don't know why Disney even made it about race. Yes, it takes place in Africa, but they're animals. In the original animated film, they were voiced by both black/white actors.

by Anonymousreply 85May 9, 2022 12:57 PM

Get Lil Nas X as the companion - get people really pissed off.

by Anonymousreply 86May 9, 2022 1:12 PM

R71 How would Brits react if any of those people were cast as Doctor Who?

by Anonymousreply 87May 9, 2022 1:35 PM

[quote][R64] sounds so naive.

Russell T Davies has been overt about a need to be inclusive - from Noel Clarke and Freema Agyeman in the early series of Doctor Who to Naoko Mori and Indira Varma in Torchwood. Freema Agyeman returned as Martha Jones after a small part in an earlier episode. And the casting of Agyeman as Martha meant other black actors were cast as her family members, notably Gugu Mbatha-Raw and Bridgerton's Adjoa Andoh, who also played a small part in an earlier episode.

He makes deliberate choices about race, sex, disability etc, but he will always pick the right actor.

Christopher Eccleston was cast as Doctor Who after appearing in RTD's The Second Coming. David Tennant was cast in Doctor Who after appearing in RTD's Casanova.

Gatwa would have auditioned and screen tested based on the incarnation that RTD has written. That's why he was cast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88May 9, 2022 1:35 PM

[quote][R71] How would Brits react if any of those people were cast as Doctor Who?

I'd love Keanu as Doctor Who, especially if Winona can come along for the ride. Less keen on Kiefer Sutherland but he'd make a decent villain.

I see Kim Cattrall more as a 2 episode guest star. And Natalie Portman is in the Marvel universe so that's a no.

Is Rose McGowan still acting? Obviously Bruce Willis has retired and Bob Hope and Spike Milligan are dead.

by Anonymousreply 89May 9, 2022 1:39 PM

Yeah, I doubt that R89. Cast an American Doctor Who and we'll see how dedicated to inclusion the nutters on this thread actually are.

You aren't fooling anyone.

by Anonymousreply 90May 9, 2022 1:41 PM

He seems sweet R81, he's being used. His agent should have counseled him better. Unless he plans to continue failing upwards after this. Maybe panel shows.

by Anonymousreply 91May 9, 2022 1:45 PM

The next next Dr. Who will be non binary?

by Anonymousreply 92May 9, 2022 1:55 PM

R92 A transsexual 15 year-old Austrian "girl" who can't speak English. They will dub her lines in post.

by Anonymousreply 93May 9, 2022 1:59 PM

Sorry R85 - I didn't realise you were up for the role and are so bitter you didn't get it.

by Anonymousreply 94May 9, 2022 2:41 PM

r11 most of the outrage doesn't seem it's about the black issue so much as the retcon that happned with the female dr who... that turned timelords into evil colonial oppressors that exploited a black female child who was the real timelord... inevitably we'll see a crossover with star trek discovery and find out she's the daughter of std's mary sue.

so, the outlook isn't good on this even though Davies is back which they fapped about hoping for a course correct to the screeching cries of woke fandom claiming it was literal murder.

but all in all, they've lost too much of the core audience... that is more apt to invest in this than the superficial social justice crowd.

If you go back to the expectations of who the new doc would be last time? The popular vote fan vote was for Idris Elba. So, not surprising they had to pick a white woman over a black man because he falls lower on the progressive stack.

by Anonymousreply 95May 9, 2022 2:43 PM

R85 Propagandizing black Americans, trying to influence their self-image and gain some control over them. Disney has people convinced now that the Lion King was some parable of black triumph. It wasn't originally about any one group of people- not to mention it's a shallow storyline set to crappy pop music. Simba was voiced by Jonathan Taylor Thomas.

by Anonymousreply 96May 9, 2022 2:45 PM

anyone catch the dr who comic with sassy black woman looking like CCH Pounder from Warehouse 13?

It was pretty cringe.

by Anonymousreply 97May 9, 2022 2:45 PM

And now that Sinn Fein has taken over Northern Ireland, will we finally see a white irish production of Roots?

by Anonymousreply 98May 9, 2022 2:47 PM

R97 It's cringe because they made no effort to make her a realistic incarnation of the Doctor. They copy-pasted a bunch of racist stereotypes and political propaganda into a new media property and demanded everyone adore it.

A black female Who is possible, but she'd be very English and understated- not a sassy feminist. When I say English I mean embodying the sensibilities and cultural values of England, a country traditionally inhabited by the English. They have a culture we're all familiar with, it's not a bad thing.

by Anonymousreply 99May 9, 2022 2:50 PM

R99 - Your comment made me think Margaret Rutherford would have made a good Dr Who.

by Anonymousreply 100May 9, 2022 2:54 PM

[Quote] A black female Who is possible, but she'd be very English and understated- not a sassy feminist. When I say English I mean embodying the sensibilities and cultural values of England, a country traditionally inhabited by the English. They have a culture we're all familiar with, it's not a bad thing.

This nonsense...

by Anonymousreply 101May 9, 2022 2:57 PM

Truth you can't handle hearing, R101.

by Anonymousreply 102May 9, 2022 3:01 PM

[Quote] Truth you can't handle hearing, [R101].

Sure, hon. I'm hyperventilating as I type..

by Anonymousreply 103May 9, 2022 3:04 PM

Yeah R100, Miss Marple had the gravitas to pull it off.

As long as you're willing to stick to the basic underpinnings of the character, you can find any number of actors who could both be an ancient alien rescuing innocents and a new embodiment of Britishness. You'd have to not be repulsed by the idea of Britishness, though.

by Anonymousreply 104May 9, 2022 3:06 PM

Repelled.

by Anonymousreply 105May 9, 2022 3:10 PM

[quote]A black female Who is possible, but she'd be very English and understated- not a sassy feminist. When I say English I mean embodying the sensibilities and cultural values of England, a country traditionally inhabited by the English. They have a culture we're all familiar with, it's not a bad thing.

I actually like the idea of Judi Love as Doctor Who

by Anonymousreply 106May 9, 2022 3:13 PM

He’s the best thing about SEX EDUCATION, and even though I’ve never really been into DOCTOR WHO, I’ll check it out to see him in the role.

by Anonymousreply 107May 9, 2022 3:14 PM

[quote] I might have to start watching it again, after giving up early in the Peter Capaldi era.

I was surprised when at one point during the Capaldi era I realized Capaldi and her lesbian companion, Bill Potts played by Pearl Mackie, had the best chemistry out of all Doctors and sidekicks I've seen. Close second is Tennant with Catherine Tate. Matt Smith I disliked so much I had to stop watching the show. The same with Jodie Whittaker. Christopher Eccleston has been my favorite doctor because I found him so attractive although the show itself didn't wow me too much at the time.

I'm fine with Ncuti Gatwa. He's been awesome in Sex Education where he plays a super flamboyant gay teen. I hadn't realized he's almost 30. It'll be interesting to see if Russell T Davies makes him gay.

by Anonymousreply 108May 9, 2022 3:36 PM

She'd have to do a hell of an acting job R106. That would be great for Comic Relief.

by Anonymousreply 109May 9, 2022 3:36 PM

Let’s just say that he ticks every box…

by Anonymousreply 110May 9, 2022 3:52 PM

R106 But they would have to build a new tardis and there would not be not enough screen real estate for the other actors to appear.

by Anonymousreply 111May 9, 2022 3:56 PM

R99 We had a black female doctor with the Fugitive Doctor

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112May 9, 2022 5:47 PM

I would enjoy a Fugitive Doctor spin-off

by Anonymousreply 113May 9, 2022 5:55 PM

I didn’t read the article, but the takeaway is the BBC names a BBC?🤔

by Anonymousreply 114May 9, 2022 5:58 PM

The Fugitive Doctor was generally well-received by the Who fandom. She had authority and confidence, despite Chibnall scripting, that pointed up just how much Jodie Whittaker didn't have these qualities

by Anonymousreply 115May 9, 2022 6:06 PM

[quote] He’s the best thing about SEX EDUCATION

He was good; but I found him too old. He was easily 10, 12 years too old to play this character and even stood out as much older within the rest of the student cast. I had a real hard time getting past this.

by Anonymousreply 116May 9, 2022 8:40 PM

[quote]He was good; but I found him too old. He was easily 10, 12 years too old to play this character and even stood out as much older within the rest of the student cast. I had a real hard time getting past this.

Get over yourself already!

by Anonymousreply 117May 9, 2022 8:49 PM

[quote] I can't see dark-skinned black people's features. I watched the English rewrite of Anne Boleyn's story with the very dark-skinned actress. Couldn't see any of her facial expressions.

R42 You aren't meant to actually SEE the details of person pretending to be the monarch. They aren't a serious thespian. They're merely on screen to generate publicity for the producer's Grand International Virtue-Signalling.

by Anonymousreply 118May 9, 2022 9:04 PM

The character is an alien time lord. I don’t think human ethnic differences or gender would matter very much.

by Anonymousreply 119May 9, 2022 9:11 PM

[quote] kids don't really give as much of a shit about this

How much do they give, R46? And how come you're an expert on how much they give?

by Anonymousreply 120May 9, 2022 9:21 PM

[quote] Well it's from The Daily Mail, hardly an impartial observer in the culture wars.

R79 Well, this TV show is from the BBC which employs all the major-generals in the culture wars.

by Anonymousreply 121May 9, 2022 9:28 PM

[quote] who could say no to that megawatt smile?

But Kiddy-show-maker Russell Davies wanted to employ this toothy one as Dr Who.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122May 9, 2022 9:35 PM

R88

So fat. Living on the fat of the BBC pay-packet.

by Anonymousreply 123May 9, 2022 9:46 PM

R101 = Irishman.

by Anonymousreply 124May 9, 2022 9:50 PM

Yeah, I don't like Doctor Who getting political.

Can you imagine if, for example, they'd had the audacity to write an entire serial about what a raging cunt Margaret Thatcher was?

by Anonymousreply 125May 9, 2022 10:15 PM

I can tell you'd be glued to the screen for that, R125. With your pint glass in one hand and your welfare cheque in the other.

by Anonymousreply 126May 9, 2022 10:28 PM

R122 Someone keep the twinks away from Russell, he's going mad in his old age.

by Anonymousreply 127May 9, 2022 10:31 PM

[quote] Kiefer Sutherland, American or British?

He was born in Britain to Canadian parents and raised in both Canada and the USA. When he refers to his nationality, he calls himself Canadian when he's speaking to Canadians and he calls himself American when he is speaking to Americans. I've never heard him call himself British. Keanu Reeves does the same thing. One minute he's Canadian and the next he's American depending on who he's talking to. He was born in Lebanon, but has never claimed to be a Lesbian.

Kim Cattrall has stated many times that she's Canadian.

Eric McCormack who played Will on Will & Grace was born and raised in Canada, but many people don't know that because he refers to himself as American. The same goes with actor David James Elliot from JAG.

by Anonymousreply 128May 9, 2022 10:40 PM

Even for DL, this thread is really caustic.

by Anonymousreply 129May 9, 2022 10:41 PM

Life is caustic.

This may be a kids show but British taxpayers are paying millions for it as well as the decadent fat Davies.

by Anonymousreply 130May 9, 2022 10:55 PM

[quote]I was surprised when at one point during the Capaldi era I realized Capaldi and her lesbian companion, Bill Potts played by Pearl Mackie, had the best chemistry out of all Doctors and sidekicks I've seen.

Of the new series, I liked Donna, Martha and (Early) Rose more than her. She'd be right after them for me. What I did appreciate, was that their relationship was a classic one. It was a nice change from Clara, Rose (after she overstayed her welcome) and even Amy.

She couldn't afford to go to University. She enjoyed the Doctor's class. She became his student in a way. She was also, not stupid, and would notice things the Doctor wouldn't. She didn't think she was better than him and he respected her observational skills. It was a solid relationship. The show did great at showing us things through her eyes.

I had hoped her ending would be her going off to University and graduating for real. Maybe she could have become a Professor.

... and not being murdered, turned into "The First Cyberman" and then flying off into space with her lesbian alien girlfriend after being turned into an alien herself to save her.

If the writer hadn't of been switched out, then they really could have played up, "The Doctor couldn't save her!" angle again.

[quote]The Fugitive Doctor was generally well-received by the Who fandom. She had authority and confidence, despite Chibnall scripting, that pointed up just how much Jodie Whittaker didn't have these qualities

As much as I wanted to like Jodie, Jo Martin had more presence in every single one of her appearances than she projected her entire run. It was kind of sad.

by Anonymousreply 131May 9, 2022 10:57 PM

[quote] As long as you're willing to stick to the basic underpinnings of the character, you can find any number of actors who could both be an ancient alien rescuing innocents and a new embodiment of Britishness.

When David announced his retirement I argued the best new Doctor would be Jane Horrocks. I still think she would have been better than any Doctor we've seen since.

by Anonymousreply 132May 9, 2022 11:03 PM

I want to see Emma Thompson as The Doctor.

by Anonymousreply 133May 9, 2022 11:49 PM

Britain is going to go into meltdown mode over this.

by Anonymousreply 134May 9, 2022 11:53 PM

[quote]Is Rose McGowan still acting?

Oh, drop dead. No one wants to see that loon.

by Anonymousreply 135May 9, 2022 11:56 PM

For fans if the show - so many people were up in arms over a female Dr Who. Did she win you and those initial naysayers over? Was she good?

by Anonymousreply 136May 9, 2022 11:57 PM

r136 No. People were begging for Doctor Donna to be retcon'd to come take the imposter out.

by Anonymousreply 137May 10, 2022 12:03 AM

As has been said many times in this thread, Jodie Whittaker's Doctor did not set the world on fire. I'm sure she has her fans, but for my money she was woefully miscast. Whittaker is great at being an Everywoman but that's not what you need for the Doctor. She also had some bad scripts to deal with in the beginning. I stopped watching so I don't know if the scripts improved.

by Anonymousreply 138May 10, 2022 12:04 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139May 10, 2022 12:04 AM

[quote] Doctor did not set the world on fire

She always had rags of her hair falling over her face. Useless under fire.

by Anonymousreply 140May 10, 2022 12:27 AM

Meh. When are we going to get a hot Dr Who with six pack abs and a hard chiseled ass?

by Anonymousreply 141May 10, 2022 12:32 AM

No, 141. That idea is too American. Traditional Englishmen are self-deprecating, hollow-chested and root for the underdog.

by Anonymousreply 142May 10, 2022 12:37 AM

R141. R142 is right. I don't think UK telly is quite like that. It seems to focus more on an older style of male beauty. Think more byronic hero than modern action star.

by Anonymousreply 143May 10, 2022 1:02 AM

Britain has become extremely Americanized, so I wouldn’t be so sure of that. Brits with spray tans and fake American teeth are all over the place. The older generation was certain more about the common man. The younger generation is obsessed with the Kardashians. It’s painful to see. Political correctness has killed British comedy. You can’t take a shit without someone screaming bullying. Brits used to have wicked senses of humor. No more. You can no longer offend. Ofcom will come down on your ass. Yes, I’m ranting, but there’s a point - having any high hopes about British shows today is unwise. They’re too concerned about ticking boxes and micromanaging content so it doesn’t offend. The creative process has been destroyed thanks to it.

by Anonymousreply 144May 10, 2022 1:15 AM

Doctor Say What?

by Anonymousreply 145May 10, 2022 1:17 AM

I agree, R144.

It's sad that England has adopted so many of the uglier aspects of Americana in the last few decades.

by Anonymousreply 146May 10, 2022 2:13 AM

Of COURSE they went with a femme fag. Can't have a masculine gay, that would be blasphemy!

by Anonymousreply 147May 10, 2022 5:20 AM

He's wonderful on Sex Education! Such an excellent actor. This is the best news!

by Anonymousreply 148May 10, 2022 5:21 AM

I don't have an issue with his race, I have an issue with the fact that he's an effeminate walking stereotype. This will do wonders about the homophobes out there who all think we look and sound like him. Fuck this shit. He was clearly just chosen to be a laughingstock. WHY not choose a masculine gay? I'm so sick of only seeing embarrassing femmes on my tv.

by Anonymousreply 149May 10, 2022 5:22 AM

R148 No, he's not. He's the token gay comedy. An extremely femme gay, a walking breathing stereotype.

by Anonymousreply 150May 10, 2022 5:23 AM

"STILL not ginger!"

by Anonymousreply 151May 10, 2022 5:24 AM

The replies here remind me of the discussions 15 years ago when they had the audacity to cast a blonde Bond. "Miscast because James Bond is not blonde!". And as soon as the first scene aired it was a non-issue right away.

People seem to think they know how the next Doctor is being portrayed. They think he is going to be a walking political statement. Remember, they thought that about the current Doctor, too? Admittedly the show became very preachy, but not about the Doctor appearing as female.

Gatwa is an actor. The way he presents himself on events is not necessarily the way he acts out his current character. So I reserve judgment on acting and writing.

by Anonymousreply 152May 10, 2022 5:53 AM

[quote] I don't have an issue with his race, I have an issue with the fact that he's an effeminate walking stereotype. This will do wonders about the homophobes out there who all think we look and sound like him. Fuck this shit. He was clearly just chosen to be a laughingstock. WHY not choose a masculine gay? I'm so sick of only seeing embarrassing femmes on my tv.

Well get her!

by Anonymousreply 153May 10, 2022 6:08 AM

Any word about the companions? Will the old ones stay or will they leave with Jodie and a new one, or several new ones, get introduced?

by Anonymousreply 154May 10, 2022 6:25 AM

Hutu or Tutsi?

by Anonymousreply 155May 10, 2022 6:41 AM

Is he cut or uncut?

The Doctor should be cut. The Gallifreyans were the original mohels.

by Anonymousreply 156May 10, 2022 7:41 AM

I think Fiona Shaw would make a good Doctor.

by Anonymousreply 157May 10, 2022 8:51 AM

He's gone half-naked but what about fully-naked?

by Anonymousreply 158May 10, 2022 8:57 AM

[quote] I think Fiona Shaw would make a good Doctor.

I think this mega-boobed creature would make a good Doctor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159May 10, 2022 9:00 AM

R155 Looks Hutu.

by Anonymousreply 160May 10, 2022 9:03 AM

R157 She's Irish.

by Anonymousreply 161May 10, 2022 9:30 AM

He can only be better than Jodie Whittaker. She had zero lustre of gravitas and just seemed like a chirpy nursery school assistant. The writing can only be better too. You can guarantee though that Russell Davies will want to make the character gay or gay-leaning.

by Anonymousreply 162May 10, 2022 9:49 AM

This actor wasn't hired for being black. There are lots of black actors. He was hired for being the BEST black actor.

by Anonymousreply 163May 10, 2022 9:58 AM

I don't believe he was the best black actor.

by Anonymousreply 164May 10, 2022 10:05 AM

R112 I never watched a single Jodie Whittaker episode, but I like the Fugitive Doctor idea and it sounds interesting. She certainly projects to right energy, Jodie looks like the assistant in that photo.

by Anonymousreply 165May 10, 2022 10:21 AM

R126, I think R125 was referring to the 1988 Doctor Who story, "The Happiness Patrol" with Sylvester McCoy as The Doctor. It was a satire of Thatcher's Britain and guest-starred Sheila Hancock as a Margaret Thatcher-like ruler.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166May 10, 2022 10:21 AM

R144 We call that same process Californication in the U.S. Californians will blame Angelenos, Angelenos will blame the entertainment industry. It isn't the authentic culture of any actual place.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167May 10, 2022 12:13 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168May 10, 2022 10:14 PM

R161, what difference does that make?

by Anonymousreply 169May 10, 2022 10:16 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170May 11, 2022 2:44 AM

[quote]Any word about the companions? Will the old ones stay or will they leave with Jodie and a new one, or several new ones, get introduced?

Yaz and Dan are both leaving. Both actors pretty much confirmed it.

Usually, the "new writer" gets a clean slate and the old companions leave at the end of the previous season.

But with him returning that opens the door for anyone he created to as well. I would not be shocked if Rose (Billie Piper), Martha (Freema Agyeman) and Donna (Catherine Tate) somehow returned for a guest appearance.

by Anonymousreply 171May 11, 2022 11:19 PM

Is this new young person 'compliant'? Will they do EXACTLY whatever outlandish thing is expected of them?

by Anonymousreply 172May 11, 2022 11:23 PM

Is there any written or unwritten rule to not pick up stories or bring back companions from other head writers? Captain Jack came back after all - albeit for a quick and inconsequential cameo only.

by Anonymousreply 173May 12, 2022 4:45 AM

R141 Agreed, and one who mistakes the thick length of this cock for his screwdriver.

I can just see it, girl!Doctor regenerates, looks around for screwdriver, looks in undies (with back strategically turned, of course), realizes it's not the screwdriver and says something like "that's new, and first question answered"

Or maybe he's a redhat and announces "finally ginger" as he's looking down.

by Anonymousreply 174May 12, 2022 9:57 PM

^^redhead, of course

by Anonymousreply 175May 12, 2022 10:49 PM

[quote]Is there any written or unwritten rule to not pick up stories or bring back companions from other head writers?

Unwritten, but even John Barrowman contacted Davies to see if he was okay with the character returning.

by Anonymousreply 176May 13, 2022 1:36 AM

Critically, creatively and audience wise, Dr Who has been on the slide for some time.

To the point it probably needs another rest for a period of years.

Unfortunately it'll happen under the watch of the new guy and he'll get the blame.

by Anonymousreply 177May 13, 2022 1:40 AM

Where are the nudes?

by Anonymousreply 178May 13, 2022 1:40 AM

R177 Chibnall needs to be dragged into the same dumpster fire where Alex Kurtzman should be tossed for fucking Trek up.

by Anonymousreply 179May 13, 2022 5:38 AM

Either Chibnall or BBC fucked up when Chibnall's first season started with such a clean slate that it barely resembled Doctor Who, with almost nothing familiar on the show. Whittaker as the Doctor is fine and so is Yasmin, her lesbian companion who has a crush on the Doctor. The bad start ruined Chibnall's run. But with all the familiar DW villains returning, it's back to being great.

by Anonymousreply 180May 13, 2022 8:19 AM

[quote] But with all the familiar DW villains returning, it's back to being great.

When Chibnall took over the show he stated he had no intention of bringing back the old villains or companions. They were too old fashioned for a new woke Doctor. That he ultimately backed down and did both just illustrates how badly his new vision failed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181May 13, 2022 8:35 AM

r181, that was an awful move on Chibnall's part. The introduction of a groundbreaking change like a female Doctor should've been framed as "while the Doctor is now female, nothing else has changed and a female Doctor is as good at her job as a male one!".

by Anonymousreply 182May 13, 2022 8:40 AM

Chibnall originally stated he had a five year plan for the series, then that obviously was ditched and he’s now saying he had “no plan”. I’ll never forget the footage of him heckling the writers of Dr Who back in the 80’s when he was an obnoxious teenage nerd. Years later he realised writing isn’t quite as easy as he maybe assumed.

by Anonymousreply 183May 13, 2022 8:51 AM

R183, was Chibnall one of those nerds who appeared on that panel in the late 80's criticizing Pip & Jane Baker (creators of Kate O'Mara's "Rani")?

by Anonymousreply 184May 13, 2022 9:32 AM

They showed that a female Master could work beautifully. Whitaker was a problem not because of her gender or (fairly limited) acting, but because she had no respect for the franchise history or fans. She drank Chibnall's koolaid about "the message", but Chibnall was the real problem.

by Anonymousreply 185May 13, 2022 11:12 AM

Well, to be fair, Michelle Gomez could make narrating an IKEA manual highly entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 186May 13, 2022 11:18 AM

R186 If your point is that MG is a better actress than Whitaker, I'd have to agree.

by Anonymousreply 187May 13, 2022 11:20 AM

Oh ffs the show is so OVER. It's like an old family pet that no one can bear to put down

Bond at least seems to ho on making boatloads of money.

They've tried the woman now they'll try the black then they'll try the trans maybe the Martians will finally arrive and they'll try that . . .

Its stale. Give it up already.

And I'm tired of that Not Being Seen mantra. Blacks are 4% of the British population, but they appear in 14% of all television programming.

You can't get away with an all white cast anyonger even when the character is an a total historical white person.

Jesus. Anne Boleyn, Margaret of Anjou, Denzel Washington as Macbeth, all black casts of Hamlet, Regency dramas with black aristocrats, black faces worked into every last geographic and historical landscape despite the known demographics of places and times making it painfully awkward to do so . . .

Please.

Jody Whittaker was a snooze, Brie Larson was a snooze as Captain Marvel (the semi-android character was more memorable), news shows dutifully include panels of One of Each . . .

This card is getting dog'eared rapidly

They aren't unseen now, not by a very long shot.

by Anonymousreply 188May 13, 2022 11:38 AM

^ From all the bitching about Jodie Whittaker I am taking that eventually nobody had a beef with the Doctor having female appearance. Criticism is all about writing and acting. I am guessing that nobody will bitch about the next Doctor's appearance either. It will be all about writing and acting, good or bad. People infer an agenda they know nothing about yet.

[quote] Where are the nudes?

I think the BBC has a vetting process and contractual provisions when signing a new DW actor that requires no nudes before and no nudes for a certain number of years after. They have that provision because DW is still considered a show for children. I wonder if Matt Smith got in hot water about this when the Fappening published his nudes.

by Anonymousreply 189May 13, 2022 1:02 PM

Clearly a gay porno version called "Doctor Hung" is required.

by Anonymousreply 190May 13, 2022 6:25 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191May 13, 2022 6:27 PM

R189 - That's not my point. My point was that Jodi Whittaker didn't save DW from its own old-age doldrums. The BBC thinks by changing the casting "in tune" with the "times" the programme would get better. It didn't and it won't.

Did Whittaker jack up the ratings in any way that suggested a change of gender did the trick?

It's stale, it's a relic, and so is Bond. The difference is that Bond keeps making hundreds of millions for its studio. Don't ask me why. They should have put it to bed with No Time to Die but they won't.

And Brie Larson was so uncompelling as Captain Marvel that it begs the question: what was the point?! What, really, did the gender change do for the writing, the screenplay, the plot coherence, the persuasiveness of the character?

Not one damned thing.

What, exactly, besides stunt casting of a statuesque black actress as a woman described by contemporaries as delicate-boned, dainty, and, of course, historically WHITE, do for the Boleyn-Henry VIII saga? Oh, right - to tell it from a "feminist perspective" . . . Gosh, absolutely no one else EVAH would have seen Henry's hunger for a son and abuse of women as wives, mistresses, and daughters, for the cultural misogyny of thousands of years if they hadn't cast that black actress in the part!!!!!!!!!

It got the ho-hum responses it deserved. So why do it?

Because, well, you know . . . reasons, let's pretend history never happened, gender is meaningless to character formation, culture is a void . . .

That's what bothers me.

by Anonymousreply 192May 13, 2022 6:58 PM

Click.

by Anonymousreply 193May 13, 2022 7:53 PM

I thought he was great in Sex Education so I'm looking forward to seeing him as the Doctor.

The people whinging about it being a "woke" casting can fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 194May 13, 2022 7:57 PM

[quote]And Brie Larson was so uncompelling as Captain Marvel that it begs the question: what was the point?! What, really, did the gender change do for the writing, the screenplay, the plot coherence, the persuasiveness of the character?

Yea, you really know what you're talking about, don't you?

by Anonymousreply 195May 13, 2022 8:06 PM

[quote] The people whinging about it being a "woke" casting can fuck off

You must be a happy British taxpayer, R194.

by Anonymousreply 196May 13, 2022 8:33 PM

R188 Much as I agree that Larson is a crap actress, Carol Danvers is Captain Marvel in the comics now, so the MCU didn't create that.

Her greatly increased powers are reminiscent of her days as "Binary", when she had been "evolved" by an alien machine and given vast cosmic strength and powers.

Carol Danvers is quite the pill in the comics as well, getting her blunt attitude and severe alcoholism from her father.

She was old friends with Wolverine from her military days, he called her "Ace".

She's honestly about as accurate as Scarlet Witch, who has been a severely insane walking plot device in comics for years, with powers that basically do whatever the writers want. She created her kids out of pieces of Mephisto, by the way, and Agatha Harkness was her friend and teacher in the comics, as well as the only good babysitter the Fantastic Four ever found for their little godling, Franklin.

by Anonymousreply 197May 14, 2022 2:09 AM

Part of the problem with the Chibnal era is the tendency to tell instead of show. Scenes at the end of an episode where The Doctor lectures the companions about Rosa Parks' legacy, the partition of India, and other topics remind me of when my mother would announce the moral of an 80s sitcom episode once the credit rolled.

My sister and I would roll our eyes at each other when she did that, and I would roll my eyes when The Doctor talked about the Rosa Parks asteroid.

Show, don't tell, Chris. Doctor Who isn't an educational video to be watched in class.

by Anonymousreply 198May 14, 2022 2:40 AM

R198 And stop with the preachy messaging horseshit.

And also, leave fucking continuity and the origins of the Doctor alone. Respect the franchise and stop shitting on it.

by Anonymousreply 199May 14, 2022 6:23 AM

R194 He was awful, annoying and not attractive.

by Anonymousreply 200May 14, 2022 6:30 AM

I didn't warm up to him, and I find other actors sexier. Others may get more out of his acting. But to each their own.

by Anonymousreply 201May 14, 2022 11:25 AM

R199, the messaging was so ham-fisted and expository, that was my issue. If you compare Rosa, or some of the preachier episodes with RTD's Planet of the Ood or Turn Left, both of which contain strong social messages, you can see the way it should be done. The enslavement of the Ood, and England's treatment of foreigners after the ship crashes into the palace correlate with real world events, without hitting you over the head, and spelling it out. RTD is good at that kind of thing, Chibnall did a terrible job with it.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the Timeless Child as a concept - I actually find it exciting, and it gave us the Fugitive Doctor, and Jo Martin, which were highlights of Chibnall's run. I enjoyed seeing the Doctor not having all of the answers, and being thrown off, but overall the execution was lacking. 10 or 11 would have told their companions what was happening. Thirteen's companions have been duds though, and while they started to turn Yaz into a stronger, more proactive character, they did it too late. Yaz is a pale shadow in a series full of strong female companions.

by Anonymousreply 202May 14, 2022 12:18 PM

R202 Nope, erase it all. Just a bad dream.

by Anonymousreply 203May 14, 2022 12:59 PM

Whatever. Can someone just post more cute pics of the pretty dark chocolate queen? TIA.

by Anonymousreply 204May 14, 2022 1:32 PM

[quote]Show, don't tell, Chris. Doctor Who isn't an educational video to be watched in class.

1. Doctor Who was originally meant to be a children's educational program. That's not necessarily the case now but they do occasionally go back to their roots. There have been multiple episodes over the years that have tried to teach lessons. So your statement isn't quite accurate. It's just that they don't do it often but they still do.

2. (New) Doctor Who has depicted multiple historical figures in the past.

3. Rosa Parks was the first black one and more than that, it happened when the Doctor had a black companion. It would have been silly not to point out that in America at that time Ryan had to watch himself. The show pointed out why Rosa was important just as they did for Churchill or even Agatha Christie.

4. When Martha Jones met Shakespeare (and became the inspiration behind Dark Lady according to the show's lore) the show caught flack for ever acting like Martha would have been treated normally during the time period. (Just like people on this board get upset whenever a historical piece features a person of color who is treated like everyone else during a time when they wouldn't have been.) However, they didn't just stop at having Martha ask if she'd be okay walking around during that time. If you really watch it, people were casually racist towards her all episode. Even with Shakespeare calling her an exotic blackamoore. They did the same thing when she ended up as a maid in Victorian, England and there she was treated like crap.

by Anonymousreply 205May 14, 2022 7:19 PM

[quote]It's just that they don't do it often but they still do.

In Jodie's first season, they did a beautiful episode about the Partition of India. Whatever you think about the rest of it, I will go to bat for that episode.

by Anonymousreply 206May 14, 2022 7:26 PM

First Jodie season also had sexy Josh Bowman (Revenge) in the Rosa Parks episode as meddling Deplorable from the future.

by Anonymousreply 207May 14, 2022 7:46 PM

The thing about Ncuti and Jodie is that they are both too conventionally attractive. The thing that I like about the first four Nuwho Doctors (Eccleston, Tennant, Smith, and Capaldi) is that each had unconventional good looks which were slightly “alien”.

by Anonymousreply 208May 14, 2022 8:46 PM

Just have the Dalek's replace their toilet plunger with a vibrating dildo - they could start screaming "penetrate" instead of "exterminate"

And have the most gorgeous white fratboy actor as the Doctor, but he's gay so there's your diversity quotient. We've had the War Doctor, now we can have the Sex Doctor.

Suck it, virtue signalers.

by Anonymousreply 209May 14, 2022 8:58 PM

[quote] Can someone just post more cute pics of the pretty dark chocolate queen? TIA

Do you want the nudes?

by Anonymousreply 210May 14, 2022 10:53 PM

[quote] Can someone just post more cute pics of the pretty dark chocolate queen? TIA

You're welcome

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211May 14, 2022 11:06 PM

^

Hotcha Hottentotty

by Anonymousreply 212May 14, 2022 11:13 PM

[quote] The thing about Ncuti and Jodie is that they are both too conventionally attractive. The thing that I like about the first four Nuwho Doctors (Eccleston, Tennant, Smith, and Capaldi) is that each had unconventional good looks which were slightly “alien”.

I wouldn't really call Ncuti conventionally attractive. I personally don't find him hot at all even though I've really liked him in Sex Education. He's cute but that's about it.

by Anonymousreply 213May 15, 2022 5:59 AM

He's cute but is he authoritative?

Would I trust him with a stethoscope while examining my rectal passage?

by Anonymousreply 214May 15, 2022 6:11 AM

He's handsome, the real test, is whether he's goofy/serious enough. Only time will tell.

The Doctor has always been a sort of disembodied spirit. They're already way past the point of canon, he/she was only supposed to have so many lives, like a cat.

I wish him the best. I like the series.

by Anonymousreply 215May 15, 2022 6:16 AM

Did this doctor get his training at the University of Dundee School of Medicine or the University of Rwanda School of Medicine?

by Anonymousreply 216May 15, 2022 6:19 AM

R215, yes, in the 1976 Tom Baker story, "The Deadly Assassin" it was established that Time Lords can only regenerate 12 times, meaning that 13 incarnations was supposed to be the maximum number of allotted lives.

by Anonymousreply 217May 15, 2022 11:32 AM

Although they also implied at points that the One wasn't his first incarnation. Can't remember if it was from that or "Trial of a Time Lord."

by Anonymousreply 218May 15, 2022 11:45 AM

R218, they did that in the 1975 Tom Baker story, "The Brain of Morbius" where they suggested that there were earlier incarnations than William Hartnell. But it didn't catch on and so subsequent stories in the original series stuck to the original concept that the First Doctor started with Hartnell.

by Anonymousreply 219May 15, 2022 11:55 AM

So, it looks like David Tennant and Catherine Tate both will appear next season. Let the speculations begin as to how they get baked into the story.

Donna Noble could be added easily. Still alive, just unaware of the Doctor. (Hopefully her overbearing mother will appear, too.) I hope they don't bring Tennant back as the sloppy second human that vanished to that other universe where Rose is left. Maybe 14 has a story where he interferes in a 10-story from the Donna Noble season (thinking Trials and Tribbleations from DS9)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220May 15, 2022 8:11 PM

Surprised (but maybe I shouldn't be) at the caustic ire in this thread. Ncuti is a Ncutie.

by Anonymousreply 221May 15, 2022 8:25 PM

[quote] the caustic ire in this thread

This TV show is designed for anorak teenage nerds who pick their pimples.

by Anonymousreply 222May 15, 2022 8:35 PM

Excited for Donna Noble’s return! Is the actor who played Wilf still alive and acting?

by Anonymousreply 223May 15, 2022 9:07 PM

This show is for teenage virgins.

There has never been a hint of sensuality or erotica.

by Anonymousreply 224May 15, 2022 9:22 PM

If they're bringing back David and Catherine then they obviously don't have much faith in Ncuiti. Has the reaction to him been that bad?

by Anonymousreply 225May 15, 2022 9:24 PM

[quote] Has the reaction to him been that bad?

The idiots at the BBC have been hoisted on their ideological petard.

But they don't care because their pay-cheques keep arriving every fortnight despite them delivering drivel.

by Anonymousreply 226May 15, 2022 9:41 PM

I assume that Tennant and Tate will be returning for the 60th anniversary special. I am looking forward to that - their chemistry is great, and Donna Noble is my favorite companion.

by Anonymousreply 227May 15, 2022 10:08 PM

Does he have permanent gayface or can he tone it down?

by Anonymousreply 228May 15, 2022 10:15 PM

R224 Please, Amy did everything but jump on the Doctor's dick, and sex was 80% of the point of Captain Jack.

by Anonymousreply 229May 15, 2022 10:23 PM

[quote] Has the reaction to him been that bad?

Absolutely not. For decades the BBC has been inundated with demands for a gay femmy Rwandan Doctor. This news has brought celebrations and good cheer across the land

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230May 16, 2022 12:05 AM

Word is they're having second thoughts about Gatwa due to the backlash and Tennant and Tate are coming onboard permanently.

by Anonymousreply 231May 16, 2022 1:34 AM

[quote] There has never been a hint of sensuality or erotica.

Eccleston deep kissing Captain Jack on the lips was actually quite a big deal. But yes, Torchwood was the series they went more adult with more or less lame-ish sex scenes. In the end Doctor Who is a family show with tons of kids watching, and quite frankly there's no need for overt sexuality in kids' programming. I remember how embarrassing it was to watch sex scenes with my parents as a kid. We only had one TV and watched it together.

Although to be fair I remember some proper bulge action from Rory and the girls have dressed pretty sexily over the years.

by Anonymousreply 232May 16, 2022 2:04 AM

[quote] Word is they're having second thoughts about Gatwa due to the backlash

Not a chance. As an independent taxpayer supported operation BBC luvvies have zero answerability to their viewers

by Anonymousreply 233May 16, 2022 2:08 AM

R232. Mmm, Rory was great.

Amy and Rory are probably two of my favorite companions.

by Anonymousreply 234May 16, 2022 10:40 AM

Rory had a massive cock, it's why he was a Roman and why people kept trying to kill him.

by Anonymousreply 235May 16, 2022 12:10 PM

Get ready for more incoming.

THE NEW ASSISTANT IS A TRANS WOMAN OF COLOUR.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236May 16, 2022 6:07 PM

Her character is Rose Temple-Noble. That means she is Donna Noble's daughter! Donna married Shaun Temple in her final episode.

by Anonymousreply 237May 16, 2022 6:15 PM

That's a cute tie-in for old school fans. I loved Donna so much. Yasmin Finney is really likable and funny on Heartstopper.

by Anonymousreply 238May 16, 2022 6:46 PM

And Donna named her Rose. Donna doesn't remember Rose, does she?

by Anonymousreply 239May 16, 2022 6:52 PM

I wondered that too. Maybe it'll be revealed she remembers things but doesn't know she's remembering, if that makes sense? Little hunches or fleeting moments of deja vu. Then again, Rose is a ridiculously common name in England.

by Anonymousreply 240May 16, 2022 6:56 PM

R236 She was good in Heartstopper so we'll see how she is here.

by Anonymousreply 241May 16, 2022 7:27 PM

I had the opposite reaction to her in Heartstoppers. I thought she was dull and only capable of one expression. Maybe it was the direction.

by Anonymousreply 242May 16, 2022 7:53 PM

Wilf is also returning.

by Anonymousreply 243May 16, 2022 8:03 PM

This will be interesting.

by Anonymousreply 244May 16, 2022 8:45 PM

I dated a guy who loved Doctor Who so know I associate the entire show with twee simpletons. Like Harry Potter fandom but 100 times worse.

by Anonymousreply 245May 16, 2022 8:58 PM

[quote] THE NEW ASSISTANT IS A TRANS WOMAN OF COLOUR.

The perfect companion for a femmy gay Rwandan Doctor. Take 𝑡ℎ𝑎𝑡 Brexit voters.

by Anonymousreply 246May 16, 2022 9:34 PM

If the Rose character is trans (not just the actor) then Donna wouldn't necessarily have named her Rose. Donna would have chosen her "dead name." Donna could have suggested Rose when he announced he was transitioning, or not. Maybe RTD just REALLY likes the name Rose.

by Anonymousreply 247May 16, 2022 10:15 PM

Sarah Fox is Chief Propagandist at the State Propaganda Channel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248May 16, 2022 10:16 PM

Bernard Cribbins is 93. Is he still acting? I liked his Wilf. It gave me the chills when he actually was the one knocking four times (so innocently) which sealed Ten's fate.

by Anonymousreply 249May 16, 2022 10:59 PM

Btw, is it just me or does David Tennant not age that well? It's not that he is wrinkled. But all the fat under his skin (subcutaneous fat?) seems to have vanished.

by Anonymousreply 250May 16, 2022 11:09 PM

I loved that as a tough two-fisted copper Bernard Cribbins was a Companion to Peter Cushing's 1966 Doctor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251May 16, 2022 11:12 PM

[QUOTE]does David Tennant not age that well? I mean, he is Scottish.

by Anonymousreply 252May 17, 2022 1:24 AM

Them Daleks bettah get zir's pronouns right!

by Anonymousreply 253May 17, 2022 6:28 AM

[quote] Them Daleks

They were the best things about this kids show.

Everything — and I mean Everything— on this kids shows been downhill since then. They have to bring the Daleks whenever the kids get bored with the current tosh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254May 17, 2022 7:35 AM

Russell Davies can’t seem to write anything without going all out on the LGBTQ, so no surprise really. As long as they keep the Doctor asexual I don’t mind.

by Anonymousreply 255May 17, 2022 8:37 AM

He held back on DW. Remember, the Doctor dances; he doesn't fuck. He knows the show and what he can do or can't.

by Anonymousreply 256May 17, 2022 11:24 AM

[quote]As long as they keep the Doctor asexual I don’t mind.

Keep? The Doctor hasn't been asexual for a long time now.

Tennant's Doctor had a couple sexual relationships on screen.

Then of course, there's the matter of The Doctor's Wife, River Song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257May 17, 2022 5:26 PM

It's a fun mid budget sci fi show. Not everything needs to be a prestige drama.

by Anonymousreply 258May 17, 2022 7:15 PM

OK no idea who Ncuti is but can he act? IS he naturally queenie? That could be a distraction.

I (hope) that the new assistant is not the (easily clockable -- pls we have eyes) trans person who I also have never heard about before now. Isn't that just for the one episode?

by Anonymousreply 259May 17, 2022 7:29 PM

Yes, he can act. I've only seen him on Sex Education where he plays an openly gay flamboyant teenager. The character could have been a queeny stereotype, but he brings a lot of humor and humanity to the role.

by Anonymousreply 260May 17, 2022 7:32 PM

R257, and in the original series it was established in the very first episode in 1963 that The Doctor had a granddaughter, so although there wasn't any overt romance in the original run, he still had at least one child somewhere along the way.

Plus, in 1964 in the historical story "The Aztecs", William Hartnell's Doctor developed a romance with an Aztec lady and keeps her brooch at the end of the episode.

by Anonymousreply 261May 18, 2022 11:00 AM

The Virgin Queen.

Ha

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262May 18, 2022 9:46 PM

R262 Liz probably banged him within an inch or having to regeneration - she was quite determined.

by Anonymousreply 263May 18, 2022 10:01 PM

Dear R261, you must be an historian or rather elderly.

by Anonymousreply 264May 18, 2022 11:26 PM

Or he watched those episodes on Britbox, R264.

by Anonymousreply 265May 19, 2022 12:23 AM

Last I looked all old Doctor Who episodes were shown on a special Doctor channel

by Anonymousreply 266May 19, 2022 12:25 AM

Ancient History studies.

All the sets are made of cardboard

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267May 19, 2022 12:31 AM

I wonder if they will just ignore the fact that Tennant looks much older, in the same way that Breaking Bad producers ignored the fact that Jesse Plemons gained like 75 lbs between the end of BB and the El Camino movie.

by Anonymousreply 268May 19, 2022 1:34 AM

Sure, why wouldn't they? I can't imagine they'd write it in unless it was at Tennant's expense. "I decided to try a new and much more wizened version of the old body."

by Anonymousreply 269May 19, 2022 2:28 AM

"And in years to come, you might find yourself revisiting a few. But just the old favorites, eh?"

Maybe he's not 10.

by Anonymousreply 270May 19, 2022 4:49 AM

R264, I'm only in my 40's. But I like the original series and have seen all the episodes.

by Anonymousreply 271May 19, 2022 11:41 AM

Has anyone told the Critical Drinker yet? Bound to be hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 272May 19, 2022 12:15 PM

[quote]The Doctor had a granddaughter, so although there wasn't any overt romance in the original run, he still had at least one child somewhere along the way.

The funny thing is, R261, the David Tennant Doctor does technically have a daughter, "Jenny" who Davies created way back when Martha guest starred on a Donna episode after once again telling him she really didn't want to travel with him anymore.

The twist is that the actress who played his daughter ended up becoming his wife in real life.

The character still lives on in comics and radio plays. I have no doubt he'll bring her back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273May 19, 2022 10:49 PM

[quote But I like the original series and have seen all the episodes.

R271 Can you give us your overview of this show from the old days and its cheap cardboard sets down to current day silly woke preaching?

by Anonymousreply 274May 19, 2022 10:54 PM

The actress is also the daughter of a previous Doctor.

by Anonymousreply 275May 19, 2022 10:57 PM

She's very pretty and that was a terrific episode.

by Anonymousreply 276May 20, 2022 5:12 AM

KLAN GRANNIES! KLAN GRANNIES!

BAKED ALASKA! BAKED ALASKA!

I know one of these is a big deal here.

by Anonymousreply 277May 20, 2022 7:41 AM

Neil Patrick Harris is going to be in the 60th anniversary special

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278June 13, 2022 7:20 PM

[quote] Neil Patrick Harris is going to be in the 60th anniversary special

As what? Davros' fleshlight?

by Anonymousreply 279June 13, 2022 9:37 PM

Russell Davies really only does like working with the gays.

by Anonymousreply 280June 14, 2022 12:40 AM

R279 Pen-e-trate! Pen-e-trate!

by Anonymousreply 281June 14, 2022 1:05 AM

R276 Hi Georgia!

by Anonymousreply 282June 19, 2022 8:46 PM

R282 "The Doctor's Doctor" is a fan-favorite episode. I actually thought she was Carey Mulligan at first.

by Anonymousreply 283June 20, 2022 8:35 PM

It’s a show for children. Who cares who they cast as Big Bird?

I’m truly mystified by the discussion this generates.

by Anonymousreply 284June 20, 2022 8:44 PM

I wonder if the Critical Drinker has shat himself over this news yet.

by Anonymousreply 285June 20, 2022 9:46 PM

[quote]It’s a show for children.

It's much more than that. It's a British institution and a sci-fi legend.

by Anonymousreply 286June 21, 2022 10:39 AM

"The Doctor's Doctor"? What did you watch, R283?

by Anonymousreply 287June 21, 2022 2:29 PM

R10 Your point is well taken. People act as if people of African descent are the only minority in the world. In the UK, there is a huge range of possibilities.

by Anonymousreply 288June 21, 2022 2:37 PM

R287 The Doctor's Daughter - autocorrect got me.

by Anonymousreply 289June 21, 2022 5:26 PM

Confirmed that the Doctor will be gay in this incarnation and the show's tone will be sexier.

Ncuti's shirt here is super unfortunate. Nice tits, but it makes him look like a literal dickhead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290August 5, 2022 2:59 AM

I'm surprised that Ncuti hasn't publicly come out

by Anonymousreply 291August 5, 2022 3:07 AM

He's really charming. I'm also surprised he hasn't officially come out too - maybe it's a family thing, because he's certainly in a glass closet at this point.

by Anonymousreply 292August 5, 2022 3:48 AM

Personally, i liked Dr Who as a child but not as an adult, but this guy is super hot, so maybe I will check it out again.

by Anonymousreply 293August 5, 2022 4:26 AM

Part of what made the character work for 60 years was the Doctor’s asexual alienness. It seems the only facet to Russell T Davies’s psyche is being gay because that’s all he’s capable of writing about now. It’s boring. Trying to sex up and gay-ify the Doctor will score high Tumblr points but is not going to sit well with the general public, who long since abandoned this sinking ship anyway.

by Anonymousreply 294August 5, 2022 7:16 PM

R290 he’s a good looking guy, but that shirt is one of the most embarrassing fashion blunders I’ve ever seen in my life.

by Anonymousreply 295August 5, 2022 7:19 PM

r294 I have a bad feeling about it as well, but we'll see. I only managed a couple of Jodie's episodes as the writing was so dire. That shouldn't be a problem with RTD for some time as I'm sure he's bursting with ideas for a couple of seasons.

r295 I thought at first it might be the crop of the image that's to blame. But it looks pretty damn unfortunate in its full glory as well. The dick just points downwards in this version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296August 5, 2022 7:23 PM

Friends don’t let friends step into public looking like walking penises!

by Anonymousreply 297August 5, 2022 7:28 PM

Laughing it up over the bepenised shirt with his new bestie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298August 5, 2022 7:37 PM

LMAO @ "BEPENISED". That shirt is hideous but he still look cute.

[quote]the Doctor’s asexual alienness

The Doctor has had approximately 70 billion romantic relationships with women, and was even married to one. He can kiss a boy here and there, as a treat.

by Anonymousreply 299August 5, 2022 9:39 PM

I quit watching the show permanently shortly after they cast Shittaker, who was given the part because she was friends with the casting poobah, no audition necessary. It had been bad for a very long time even before the reboot, which was dreadful overall no matter who was the lead or the companion but she was a new low. She couldn't act or even remember her lines, was ugly, and had an absolutely horrible voice. I didn't think they'd ever cast someone worse than Colin Baker, but somehow they did - twice, because Matt Smith sucked too. The stories have sucked since the end of Davison's era. I know nothing about the newly cast actor except that he checks off two boxes, and that the last incarnation would have mocked his ridiculous name.

by Anonymousreply 300August 5, 2022 9:52 PM

This will be the last season.

It'll be interesting to hear the fallout and who shoulders the blame.

by Anonymousreply 301August 5, 2022 11:07 PM

They seem to have forgot the adage of if it aint broke, don't fix it.

Turning it into Black Queer As Folk is just so, so dumb.

They obviously don't know their fanbase.

by Anonymousreply 302August 5, 2022 11:13 PM

r300 You had me until the last sentence, which is just straight-up ugly. You may not have travelled much in your lifetime, but at your age you really shouldn't be surprised by the fact that people all over the world have all sorts of different names. If a name isn't Anglo-American, it doesn't make it "ridiculous."

by Anonymousreply 303August 5, 2022 11:48 PM

R300 Mary!

by Anonymousreply 304August 6, 2022 1:05 AM

[quote]Part of what made the character work for 60 years was the Doctor’s asexual alienness.

R294, I agree. It's one of the things that makes Doctor Who different from so many other shows. We can find a million other shows with sex -- there's no need to oversexualize The Doctor.

by Anonymousreply 305August 6, 2022 9:54 AM

I think this "sexier tone" NPH was alluding to will come mainly in the form of naughty double entendres, that's all.

by Anonymousreply 306August 6, 2022 9:58 AM

Davies gay themed series are usually cringe stuff. QAF was OK but his subsequent gay themed shows all drip in awful stereotypes. Every gay character drops a double entendre every second line and no-one has an ounce of butch in them. Their lives are usually consumed with banging young guys barely out of their teens. Nothing else exists or matter in their daily lives..

Dr Who is doomed.

by Anonymousreply 307August 6, 2022 1:33 PM

One thing is for sure: if Davies doesn't have brilliant new ideas, the series should be mothballed until the Woke avalanche is over.

There is no reason the Doctor can't be black or any other colour, or any gender, but I'm so, so tired of race and gender being Featured, like fashion parades in 1950s movies. When characters can just get on with the story without everyone having to focus on their Woke aspects, everything will be better. It could be argued we have to go through the present unfortunate stage to achieve that equilibrium, but jeez it's a bore while it lasts.

I'm hoping Davies's passion for the Doctor outweighs his inner crusading gay liberationist so they CAN just get on with the story. Hopefully we'll get the lightness of touch he showed when Shakespeare made a pass at Tennant's Doctor, who commented to Martha, "A thousand academics just high-fived each other."

by Anonymousreply 308August 6, 2022 3:27 PM

On the sexuality front, it's worth noting that the Doctor didn't have anything resembling a romantic companion prior to the new series and Rose. Amy was more or less continuously flirty with Matt Smith's version, and then of course there was River Song and Captain Jack.

Having a female Doctor just for the sake of having a female Doctor would have been a mistake, but my problem with Jodie was that she wasn't interesting, had no respect for the material and of course was given shittier writing treatment that even Colin Baker got. The gender swap wasn't the issue for me - personally I loved Missy as much as any of the previous versions of the Master. Times evolve, characters evolve.

Having a gay minority Doctor just for the sake of having a gay minority Doctor is also a mistake in my view, but I'll reserve judgement until I see how the acting and writing goes.

As far as the franchise as a whole, yes, they've shat upon it pretty badly. The whole "Timeless Children" horseshit, etc. I've made the decision to treat it the same way that I treat ST:Discovery and the like: In my mind, it is an AU separate from the earlier versions - and I don't really care what anyone else thinks.

So welcome and good luck to you, Ncuiti Gatwa. If the point of you was to satisfy some diversity checkboxes and stir up controversy, you've certainly managed that already.

by Anonymousreply 309August 7, 2022 12:03 AM

I have not heard that the new Doctor will be gay. The Doctor didn't really have a sexuality with women or men. All the Doctor does is dance; he does not have sex. I always saw the the character as being asexual with humans since they are not his kind. So he/she can be affectionate, but he doesn't bone humans. He may show more affection to men and women and everything in between. But I don't expect anything sexual.

by Anonymousreply 310August 7, 2022 12:15 AM

RTD seems to face the same concerns as twenty years ago. He had done Queer as Folk and people were worried that he would turn DW into something oversexualized. I think he was able to put everybody at ease about this. Don't see why he would fuck it up this time.

by Anonymousreply 311August 7, 2022 12:18 AM

He very much boned River Song off-camera. Or do you seriously believe they drew the line at kissing, like a couple of schoolchildren?

by Anonymousreply 312August 7, 2022 12:18 AM

Not to worry, folks, now that the Doctor is truly eternal, they can recast as much as they want.

by Anonymousreply 313August 7, 2022 12:23 AM

It was established in the very first Doctor Who episode back in 1963 with William Hartnell that The Doctor has a granddaughter. Perhaps now is the time to finally explore that family connection.

by Anonymousreply 314August 7, 2022 10:11 AM

R311 the BBC probably had to do some serious grovelling and parted with a lot of cash to get Davies back. Running Dr Who is apparently a life-consuming and utterly exhausting job…unless you’re Chibnall who basically didn’t seem to give a shit and was just showing up for the paycheck. Davies was probably in a much better position to impose demands. He’s made it clear he only really wants to write about gay characters and only wants to cast gay actors in the roles. He can write (although his episodes could be hit and miss, he was responsible for some genuine shit), so I’m mildly hopeful, and people will definitely tune in to see David Tennant again (frankly a desperate move on his part) but there will be pushback if he overplays the “gay card”, make no mistake.

by Anonymousreply 315August 7, 2022 11:49 AM

R291 He doesn't need to.

by Anonymousreply 316August 7, 2022 12:33 PM

It'll be so surreal to watch him in the fourth season of Sex Education that is now filming, knowing he's also the new Doctor. Hope they throw a cute little joke in there referencing this new development.

by Anonymousreply 317August 7, 2022 1:02 PM

Doctor Who ran from 1963 to 1989 before it was axed. 26 years is a good run for a tv show.

By the time Gatwa makes his debut it will be 18 years since the Eccleston revival.

For the casual fans I'm not sure what's left to be new and original.

by Anonymousreply 318August 7, 2022 1:04 PM

They just can seem to find an actor who can hold on to this role.

by Anonymousreply 319August 7, 2022 1:44 PM

Hold on for how long, though? I doubt actors want to be stuck with this role for a major chunk of their lives, same as with the Bond franchise. I'm sure it pays nice, but it also takes a lot out of you, those constant PR appearances for the same show/movie over and over again, and the possible typecasting afterwards...

by Anonymousreply 320August 7, 2022 1:50 PM

They just need to cast some gorgeous undie model as the Doctor. He can even wear a scarf (shirtless of course) as a tribute to the old days, and the running gag can involve how hard his nips are.

by Anonymousreply 321August 7, 2022 1:52 PM

Doctor Who isn't a role you play for years.

You come in, do about 4 years and then move on. It's been like that since the show was created.

by Anonymousreply 322August 7, 2022 1:53 PM

R322 Tom Baker was the exception and even he was getting stale towards the end. Of course, having an excuse to recast makes that a more appealing option for showrunners as well - a chance to shake up the character periodically. Of course now, after the horseshit of "Timeless Children", there's basically no limit on how many times they can rinse, repeat with him.

by Anonymousreply 323August 7, 2022 1:57 PM

I never liked the regeneration cap, I'm glad they got rid of it, it was only a matter of time anyway.

by Anonymousreply 324August 7, 2022 2:01 PM

I thought the Timelords had already given the Doctor an full new set of regenerations after the Matt Smith Doctor rescued them; they don't need to worry about running out of regenerations for decades anyway. The Timeless Child stuff wasn't needed for that.

by Anonymousreply 325August 7, 2022 8:13 PM

R325 Yes, it had been established as far back as The Five Doctors that the Time Lords could extend someone's regenerations, and Capaldi was the first of some new chain.

by Anonymousreply 326August 7, 2022 11:36 PM

R322, Tom Baker did 7 seasons, and Jon Pertwee did 5 seasons. But today I agree that 3 or 4 seasons is probably going to remain the norm. It's unlikely anyone will ever beat Baker's record of 7 years.

R326, yeah, The Five Doctors (1983) kind of contradicts other stories in the original series which established that The Doctor can only have 13 lives (eg. The Deadly Assassin (1976).

by Anonymousreply 327August 8, 2022 9:26 AM

[quote] He’s made it clear he only really wants to write about gay characters and only wants to cast gay actors in the roles.

Tennant isn’t gay, is he?

by Anonymousreply 328August 8, 2022 9:33 AM

Eccleston was cast by Russell T Davies after he'd appeared in The Second Coming, written by Russell T Davies.

David Tennant was cast by Russell T Davies after he'd appeared in Casanova, written by Russell T Davies.

Russell T Davies wasn't involved in the casting of Matt Smith, Peter Capaldi or Jodie Whittaker.

by Anonymousreply 329August 8, 2022 10:28 AM

Next up, the Doctor and Master were lovers growing up.

by Anonymousreply 330August 8, 2022 11:09 AM

R24 literal violence! Diversity means the companion must be trans. I don't mind Ncuiti Gatwa at all, and I don't have strong feelings for Dr Who either way. The political casting is what's wrong and it's doing Dr Who and the actor a disservice because Gatwa is not cast because he is a good actor; he's cast to check a box. They could have cast a black Dr Who years ago but didn't, and now they are doing it for the wrong reasons. Our critique is not of the actor, but we are questioning the motives that led to the casting decision and it's not bigotry to do so.

I do object to trans ideology being sold to underage children and Dr Who is a kid's show. I have a few Dr Who Bluray boxes (my kid used to watch it as a young teenager), but this is where I'm out. I will not support this ideology with my money.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331August 8, 2022 11:56 AM

Gotta make sure to include THE MESSAGE!

by Anonymousreply 332August 8, 2022 11:59 AM

Bringing back Davies and Tennant already demonstrates just how desperate they are. They’re trying to renanimate a cadaver by sprinkling some glitter and draping feather boas around it when they really just need to let it rest. They need to give Dr Who a rest for 5-10 years and then reboot it from scratch.

by Anonymousreply 333August 8, 2022 12:19 PM

[quote] They could have cast a black Dr Who years ago but didn't, and now they are doing it for the wrong reasons.

How anyone can be so sure about the reason. You don't know what vision RTD has for the character of the next Doctor. You don't know what type of stories he wants to tell. You don't know what the casting sheet was asking for. You don't know who auditioned, and how they did. Can you just stop making assumption, and acknowledge that you know nothing about the new show's development process and therefore cannot form an opinion? Is it too much to ask to not judge at this point and rather judge the product when it's presented?

by Anonymousreply 334August 8, 2022 1:08 PM

R334 It's a fair point, giving it a chance, but it's also unrealistic to not acknowledge that there has been a huge uptick in diversity casting for its own sake in the last 5-10 years. For good or ill, it's a fact.

by Anonymousreply 335August 8, 2022 11:55 PM

R303 Remember "Tim Shaw"? It's what Shittaker called the alien villain in her first full story, mocking whatever his real name was because she couldn't pronounce it. I thought it was terribly unlike the Doctor as s/he does not usually mock non-Anglo names, unless you can prove otherwise. Shittaker can't even pronounce English names, I shudder to think how she'd butcher this guy's name. I stopped watching after that episode, I'd had sufficient.

And he DOES check two boxes. It would be three, but Richard E. Grant was the first actor from Africa to play the part.

by Anonymousreply 336August 9, 2022 12:17 AM

Just saw the Doctor Who special ending Jody's run (great special, imho) ending with "What? What?",

Love. It.

by Anonymousreply 337October 24, 2022 8:52 AM

So, what's the plan? Tennant is resuming the role of the Doctor for the next couple of episodes before the new guy takes over?

by Anonymousreply 338October 24, 2022 9:17 AM

[quote] So, what's the plan? Tennant is resuming the role of the Doctor for the next couple of episodes before the new guy takes over?

Trying to wash out the bad taste of Whittaker's Doctor and get people to tune back in for the new guy's debut. BUT......

The new Doctor's companion will be a tranny. Of course.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339October 24, 2022 9:19 AM

The special was indeed not too bad. But the writing bogged it down again. I'm glad Chibnal is gone, gone gone. Too much emphasis on plot with surprisingly little emotional impact. I gotta say though, I thoroughly enjoyed the Master. That Ra-Ra-Rasputin dance scene was campy as hell and took me out of the story. And yet it may have been the best thing in this special. I hope Dhawan stays the Master for a while. Would be nice to understand why his current incarnation is so batshit crazy though.

by Anonymousreply 340October 24, 2022 12:09 PM

I thought early on the special, Dhawan was channelling the energy of Matt Smith's Doctor. Hyper and a bit manic. Loved the Boney M. interlude which made me wonder if Seth McFarlane was directing this special.

by Anonymousreply 341October 24, 2022 12:15 PM

Sorry, Seth MacFarlane.

by Anonymousreply 342October 24, 2022 12:16 PM

Oh, God, will someone please bury the Doctor in the same plot as the Carry On shows are laid to rest?!

Most of the world just does not give a fuck any longer. It was dated 20 years ago. It's exhausted. Put it out of its misery.

And, whilst at it, see if you can get any more remakes of LOTR and the Bond franchise carried to the same cemetery.

by Anonymousreply 343October 24, 2022 12:56 PM

R335 Please, anyone who isn't willing to acknowledge that this is about diversity for it's own sake and nothing else is either a moron or a liar. Maybe the Master is "neurodivergent" or whatever. As far as I'm concerned, DW died when Capaldi left.

by Anonymousreply 344October 24, 2022 1:01 PM

Need some help: In the regeneration scene, the Doctor also changed his clothes. Is that something to geek out about? Typically, the Doctor's body changes but he remains in the old incarnation's clothes until he changes in some new carefully selected outfit. Or was it just a production decision, because they simply did not want the Doctor in women's clothes? From what I could briefly glimpse, the new outfit is really new if a lot reminiscent of Eleventh's original style.

by Anonymousreply 345October 24, 2022 4:18 PM

The serious nerds have been saying it has happened before, in Old Who, R345.

by Anonymousreply 346October 24, 2022 5:17 PM

R346 I can't recall any that didn't involve a change of clothing after the fact - the Doctor selecting the next outfit was part of thing.

by Anonymousreply 347October 24, 2022 11:32 PM

The best thing about the new episode was the return appearance of 97-year old William Russell -- an original cast member from 1963:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 348October 25, 2022 8:10 AM

Black and gay, right? A two-for-one?

Somebody wants to be in the Woke Olympics! BBC?

I don't watch Dr. Who because I find it too hard to follow AND enjoy. It's like half the time, the actors aren't speaking the same language as me, but I know they do. Frustrating. No thanks. I love Star Trek, though.

If you love the show, give him a shot. You never know until you try something whether or not it's worthy.

by Anonymousreply 349October 25, 2022 8:23 AM

[quote] If you love the show, give him a shot.

Thank you, R349.

by Anonymousreply 350October 25, 2022 8:30 AM

Is this Dr. going to be comedic? That's the vibe the new guy is putting out there. Were any of the Dr.s more funny than serious?

It would be nice if I could understand, easily, what the fuck the actors are saying. Alas, I cannot.

Monty Python was impossible on the level of understandable speech. I can't help being non-Brit, y'know?

by Anonymousreply 351October 25, 2022 8:31 AM

I agree with the poster above, Dr Who ended for me when Capaldi left. What we have now is Zombie Who, dug up and crudely reanimated to look alive, but very much dead. I may, however, check out the last special on iplayer just to see some of the past assistants.

Bringing back David Tennant was the ultimate act of (shockingly blatant) desperation. I’d be more interested in watching again if I wasn’t certain that Russell Davies will be obsessively showcasing sexual and gender politics front and centre - a gay doctor! A trans companion! Not what people are looking for from this. The asexuality of the character was an integral component of the OG Who.

by Anonymousreply 352October 25, 2022 8:41 AM

[quote] - a gay doctor! A trans companion! Not what people are looking for from this. The asexuality of the character was an integral component of the OG Who.

Why can't things stay the same as they were? Traditional values! Change is bad. BAAAAAAAD!

by Anonymousreply 353October 25, 2022 8:51 AM

R352 Yes, and I would argue that the first "mistake" the new series made was with Rose and having her and Ten become an actual romantic couple. Companions with crushes on the Doctor was nothing new, but "humanizing" him that way was a mistake.

by Anonymousreply 354October 25, 2022 8:56 AM

Now that they've made the Doctor a true immortal, with infinite regenerations, no worries. He can change into every diverse thing the BBC wants.

by Anonymousreply 355October 25, 2022 9:02 AM

This thread didn't age well.

by Anonymousreply 356October 25, 2022 9:25 AM

[quote] Yes, and I would argue that the first "mistake" the new series made was with Rose and having her and Ten become an actual romantic couple. Companions with crushes on the Doctor was nothing new, but "humanizing" him that way was a mistake.

I agree. Tennant was good as a leading man but not as the Doctor—he came across too generic and human. I’m not “anti woke”, I just think the doctor should be suitably alien and asexual as he was back in the original series.

by Anonymousreply 357October 25, 2022 10:05 AM

R357 I liked him otherwise, just didn't care for the romance bit.

by Anonymousreply 358October 25, 2022 11:24 AM

Maybe I was too young to understand back then, but I didn't get a romantic vibe from the Doctor with Rose. I understood that the Doctor was lonely, terribly lonely, after having lost his planet in the time war. So those two certainly formed a stronger than usual bond. If anything, Rose was looking for a father figure. And she got one. But I didn't get the romance aspect. Nine didn't have sex, instead he 'danced'. But I thought that's really the farthest he would go with companions. A veiled romance? Yes, but not obviously overt. (Mind you I chose to forget the human incarnation of the Doctor who stayed with Rose in the other universe).

The one who really started having romantic feelings for him was Martha, and he couldn't / wouldn't pursue that.

by Anonymousreply 359October 25, 2022 12:52 PM

R359 Yes, it was with Ten that the romance happened. Rose and Nine were friends/surrogate family.

by Anonymousreply 360October 25, 2022 12:54 PM

I 'third' the above posters who said DW died after Peter Capaldi left. He was the best (of the more recent Doctors).

by Anonymousreply 361October 25, 2022 3:19 PM

R361 How many seconds in eternity?

by Anonymousreply 362October 25, 2022 11:51 PM

Is Ncuti officially out yet? Just curious, he's cute.

by Anonymousreply 363October 26, 2022 7:15 PM

R363 Not officially

by Anonymousreply 364October 26, 2022 7:55 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 365October 26, 2022 8:01 PM

I'm surprised The Master isn't a whitey - that would suit the narrative better.

by Anonymousreply 366October 26, 2022 10:08 PM

Do I pronounce that 'Ner-Kwee-tee'?

by Anonymousreply 367October 26, 2022 10:56 PM

It's pronounced "shooty."

by Anonymousreply 368October 26, 2022 11:18 PM

[quote] It's pronounced "shooty."

And 'Gatwa' is pronounced "Gooty."

by Anonymousreply 369October 26, 2022 11:26 PM

LMAO!!! I'm never going to call him anything but "Shooty Gooty" ever again, thanks!!

by Anonymousreply 370October 27, 2022 2:19 AM

[quote] "Shooty Gooty"

Not to be confused with Hoochy Koochy!

by Anonymousreply 371October 27, 2022 2:44 AM

Slightly off-topic:

Recent photo of Doctor Who #4, Tom Baker, with Dame Sian Phillips (Livia in 'I, Claudius').

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372October 27, 2022 8:01 AM

[quote]Rose and Nine were friends/surrogate family.

Not true. She was devastated when she learned he was going to "transition". (She didn't realise he was going to get cuter.)

by Anonymousreply 373November 4, 2022 11:26 AM

I guess Ncuti is out, or at least IndieWire thinks he is.

[quote]Though fans of Netflix’s most wholesome show about sex “Sex Education” have long known the star power of this firecracker performer, the rest of the world is about to find out just how brilliant Ncuti Gatwa is. The Scottish actor won three BAFTA Television awards for his performance as Eric, and will soon take up the mantle of Britain’s “Doctor Who,” becoming the franchise’s first Black actor to play the part.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 374December 10, 2022 4:35 AM

How did a fug creep like Sam Smith get Brandon Flynn? Must be paying extra.

by Anonymousreply 375December 10, 2022 4:29 PM

Troye Sivan is cute-adjacent, but I still just want to slap him every time I see him.

by Anonymousreply 376December 10, 2022 4:31 PM

I can't imagine anything better situated to retrieve the audience Chibnall and Jodie drove away than a queenie Rwandan.

by Anonymousreply 377April 20, 2023 3:03 PM

Cute man.

by Anonymousreply 378April 20, 2023 3:07 PM

I saw this earlier. They look CGI.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379April 20, 2023 3:47 PM

Bonnie's back, baby!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 380June 7, 2023 7:31 PM

Adorable ☺️

by Anonymousreply 381June 7, 2023 10:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!