Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

‘Star Trek: Strange New Worlds’- Will you watch?

Well, will you?

I can’t lie, this one looks good and fun and closer to the OG than any other. I’ve been a huge fan of the OG cast and the new films but that’s it.

I guess I liked Enterprise a bit. Voyager was only good once Jeri Ryan came on board.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 584September 10, 2022 2:58 PM

I just finished watching the new season of Discovery, and am looking forward to Strange New Worlds.

So, yes, I will watch.

Also, Anson Mount is way hotter now than he was when he was young.

by Anonymousreply 1April 15, 2022 3:18 AM

R1 agree about Mount. He’s aged very well

by Anonymousreply 2April 15, 2022 3:40 AM

Honestly, I haven't watched since Deep Space 9. Should I invest in this series again?

by Anonymousreply 3April 15, 2022 4:17 AM

I'm doubtful this series will recapture the warm feelings the current shows have trampled on.

They just don't trust Gene's vision.

by Anonymousreply 4April 15, 2022 6:06 AM

The inclusion of a theysbian broke the magic by injecting gratuitous contemporary politics.

by Anonymousreply 5April 15, 2022 6:14 AM

Really looking forward to this.

by Anonymousreply 6April 15, 2022 6:16 AM

R5 Christ their haircut is awful.

by Anonymousreply 7April 15, 2022 7:26 AM

Ummm the OG show included what was considered contemporary politics of the time also.

by Anonymousreply 8April 15, 2022 10:45 AM

They covered contemporary political issues a lot back then. Despite what R5 says, it's the kind of topic Gene would have dealt with.

Also, Captain Pike is hot!!

by Anonymousreply 9April 15, 2022 10:50 AM

Looks good. I’m excited for some more world discovering rather than universe destroying a la Discovery.

by Anonymousreply 10April 15, 2022 12:12 PM

I'm simple. Throw in the OG Enterprise NCC-1701 and I'll watch anything. Plus, yeah, Cap. Pike is hot as hell.

by Anonymousreply 11April 15, 2022 12:27 PM

Just watched the first episode. It's off to a great start.

by Anonymousreply 12May 6, 2022 2:00 AM

Oh wow we finally got to see video of major cities being destroyed in WWIII!

by Anonymousreply 13May 6, 2022 3:11 AM

A solid first episode. It was an excellent intro to the series and we got more crew development in one hour than Discovery has done over 4 seasons. I’m looking forward to seeing more of this show.

by Anonymousreply 14May 6, 2022 5:39 AM

Loving the show so far, though can't get over the obviously lesbian crew member

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 6, 2022 6:13 AM

I want Anson Mount and Ethan Peck to tear each others' clothes off and make sweet sweet love.

by Anonymousreply 16May 6, 2022 6:33 AM

Here's hoping they actually make Spock bisexual. Other rumor is possibly Kirk once they introduce him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 6, 2022 6:35 AM

Nine reasons Kirk should absolutely be bisexual in Strange New Worlds

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 6, 2022 6:36 AM

Don't mind having a bisex guy on the show, but why does it have to be an established character? You know it comes with continuity problems and everything trekkies talk about is that, continuity errors. Just introduce a fresh character and flesh that one out. We already watch Star Trek. No need to lure us in with NuKirk.

by Anonymousreply 19May 6, 2022 12:20 PM

None of the legendary characters should be changed.

Funny how you all are fine with changing Kirk or Spock to bi or gay but if they aren’t played by white men you would lose it.

by Anonymousreply 20May 6, 2022 12:23 PM

R17, Spock is adorable

by Anonymousreply 21May 6, 2022 12:49 PM

Kirk and Spock not being played by white men wouldn't be Kirk or Spock

by Anonymousreply 22May 6, 2022 2:23 PM

R22 them being gay suddenly wouldn’t be Kirk or Spock either.

by Anonymousreply 23May 6, 2022 2:29 PM

Also, Spock wasn’t “white”. He was an alien.

by Anonymousreply 24May 6, 2022 2:30 PM

r23 Kirk and Spock are not gay either

by Anonymousreply 25May 6, 2022 2:32 PM

RED doors. I'm there.

by Anonymousreply 26May 6, 2022 4:02 PM

He's had work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 6, 2022 4:04 PM

R27. LOL. I love Pike's new poofy hairdo. I guess it gets it's natural lift from a lack of gravity.

by Anonymousreply 28May 6, 2022 4:18 PM

Kirk & Spock being gay is anachronistic. We eliminated homos in 2023.

by Anonymousreply 29May 6, 2022 4:22 PM

I'm rewatching Next Generation and I see the trailer for Strange New Worlds all the time, and it looks bad. Anson Mount looks hot as hell but the show looks terrible.

As for Gene's vision, TNG improved drastically when they broke away somewhat from his outdated vision, so I have no idea how this pre-TOS series will even work. How can you have Roddenberry's miniskirt-based vision in 2022?

by Anonymousreply 30May 6, 2022 4:23 PM

I mean Kirk was a slut that willingly bedded strange aliens, making him bisexual wouldn't be a huge stretch for the character. I'm going to watch this in hopes that it "feels" like Star Trek. I'm a huge fan. I've watched TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, and Enterprise over and over, I've seen the original films dozens of times. I've watched the recent series and other than Lower Decks, I haven't liked any of them as much as the old ones, because they seem to have lost their optimism which was why I loved Trek so much. It was always humanity's aspirational future where we got our shit together and decided to help the rest of the galaxy get their shit together. So many of the recent ones are the opposite, humanity is still fucked up and so is everyone else and the future is bleak. Yeah we get to travel in space, but all the people still suck.

by Anonymousreply 31May 6, 2022 4:28 PM

Female aliens. That has nothing to do with bisexuality

by Anonymousreply 32May 6, 2022 4:30 PM

R32 Female aliens because it was the 1960s

by Anonymousreply 33May 6, 2022 4:31 PM

R32 As they are aliens, we have no way of knowing how gender works in their societies.

by Anonymousreply 34May 6, 2022 4:32 PM

Seriously? R34 grow up.

by Anonymousreply 35May 6, 2022 4:34 PM

I’m 2022 over 95% of people identify as straight. That’s just the reality.

by Anonymousreply 36May 6, 2022 4:35 PM

R35 I'm grown up, but you are the one who thinks that fictional aliens have to follow the same rules as humanity, that seems much more childish.

by Anonymousreply 37May 6, 2022 4:49 PM

R37 they were women. Why can’t we just accept reality, LIKE ADULTS, instead of making shit up?

by Anonymousreply 38May 6, 2022 4:51 PM

[quote]He's had work.

R27 that looks like the aftermath of a chemical peel gone wrong. Should have gone with a less aggressive glycolic acid peel instead of the TCA.

by Anonymousreply 39May 6, 2022 4:54 PM

Cut it with the revisionist bullcrap. Kirk was and is always a pussyhound.

by Anonymousreply 40May 6, 2022 4:55 PM

R40 EXACTLY

by Anonymousreply 41May 6, 2022 4:55 PM

Did they really need to include a new Uhura?

Seriously, you'd think she, Burnham, and Lt. Joann Owosekun are the only black women in all of Starfleet.

There was no reason to include a new version of Uhura in this show. I'm all for expanding her story, just do it in a way that makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 42May 6, 2022 5:00 PM

[quote]I’m 2022

And look like you're only in your late 1900s!

by Anonymousreply 43May 6, 2022 5:05 PM

[quote] Anson Mount is way hotter now than he was when he was young.

Anson Mount sounds like a sex position.

by Anonymousreply 44May 6, 2022 5:22 PM

Just watched.

It was a decent outing, not great. It wasn't so terrible that I'd have to resign myself to hate watching it, but not so good that I'm desperate to see the next episode.

The Enterprise look GORGEOUS.

by Anonymousreply 45May 6, 2022 6:12 PM

The best part was Pike showing the aliens how humanity almost annihilated itself with WW III and he didn't want the aliens to suffer the same fate. That was a powerful scene.

by Anonymousreply 46May 6, 2022 6:19 PM

[Quote] I'm rewatching Next Generation and I see the trailer for Strange New Worlds all the time, and it looks bad… I have no idea how this pre-TOS series will even work. How can you have Roddenberry's miniskirt-based vision in 2022?

Thanks for posting your opinion from 5 months ago R30. Maybe try watching the episode that’s been released to get an idea of ‘how this pre-TOS series will even work’ and get back to us then?

by Anonymousreply 47May 6, 2022 8:27 PM

I had no idea there was a legit case for bisexual Spock. That's awesome, especially with the hottie Ethan Peck now playing the character.

They should make Space Husbands cannon, just to piss off all the strangely close-minded science fiction fans. Kirk was such a horn-dog that of course he fucked anything with a pulse!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48May 6, 2022 8:51 PM

Wish I got Paramount+ so I could watch this.

At some point I'll subscribe. Not right now though

by Anonymousreply 49May 6, 2022 8:55 PM

R49 Wait until all the episodes are available, do a 7-day free trial, binge, and cancel.

by Anonymousreply 50May 6, 2022 9:19 PM

Or just use one of the free streamers or torrent

by Anonymousreply 51May 6, 2022 10:25 PM

Pike and Spock are really hot in this show. I’ll keep watching just for the hot guys

by Anonymousreply 52May 6, 2022 10:34 PM

No.

by Anonymousreply 53May 6, 2022 10:46 PM

Do you have Pluto? It is free and owned by Paramount and they usually air a selection of Paramount+ originals after they air on the pay service so you might catch one there.

by Anonymousreply 54May 7, 2022 12:13 AM

R48 not how it works. He fucked any WOMAN with a pulse. Not anybody.

by Anonymousreply 55May 7, 2022 12:21 AM

James T. Kirk has always been portrayed as completely heterosexual, even when he was played by the not completely heterosexual Chris Pine.

by Anonymousreply 56May 7, 2022 12:54 AM

[quote]Did they really need to include a new Uhura?

I mean, they don't really need to include anything. But she's a familiar character, the actress is really appealing, and it's fun to see her on this part of her journey.

One of the things that I liked in the Kelvin movies was the official acknowledgment that Uhura had a crush on Spock (and a far less stereotypical one that Original Recipe Chapel had on him). Hopefully watching it develop will be fun.

I'm sure people will complain about the racebending of Mr. Kyle and Admiral April, but Mr. Kyle can take his twink ass to my quarters whenever he'd like.

by Anonymousreply 57May 7, 2022 2:35 AM

Nichelle Nichols was a very attractive woman, this new Uhura is a butterball. They couldn't find a hot black actress?

by Anonymousreply 58May 7, 2022 3:06 AM

I don't know which was sexier...

Shirtless Spock or Montana Mountain Man Pike.

That lucky bitch that probably had her brains fucked out of her head and then he makes breakfast for her against a backdrop of snowy mountains.

by Anonymousreply 59May 10, 2022 1:28 AM

Nobody knows about Kirk/Spock slash fiction?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60May 10, 2022 1:34 AM

WTF kinda name is Anson Mount IV? Sounds like a cavalry command.

by Anonymousreply 61May 10, 2022 3:26 AM

Just finished the first episode. Like the homage to the original series. The Enterprise, sets , red doors ect, Understand the need to update the multi ethic pansexual characters. This is what the original show strove for in the limited world of 1968. My main gripe is with Mount cast as the alpha male Capt Pike. He's a pseudo alpha. He looks the part except for the ridiculous Ann Bancroft frosted hair but he is beyond bland. He under plays to boredom. Zero charisma. No spark at all with either female characters or male. Henry Cavil school of wooden acting. Much preferred Chris Pine as Kirk at least he had a glint of mischievousness. Felt he was always up for a shag with either sex. Pine looked like he could take you where no man has gone before.

by Anonymousreply 62May 10, 2022 3:40 AM

[quote] Pine looked like he could take you where no man has gone before.

And he would do it with other men!

by Anonymousreply 63May 10, 2022 3:43 AM

[quote]Understand the need to update the multi ethic pansexual characters.

I just hope they don't get into the pronouns and 101 gender identities thing, that is just way too contemporary and will really date this show.

Remember the episode of TOS with the space hippies who had flowers painted on their faces? It looks absolutely ridiculous now.

by Anonymousreply 64May 10, 2022 3:45 AM

Anson Mountme IV

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65May 10, 2022 3:47 AM

^ Bitch stole my act.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66May 10, 2022 3:48 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67May 10, 2022 3:50 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68May 10, 2022 3:51 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69May 10, 2022 3:52 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70May 10, 2022 3:53 AM

At least I can see the actors in this one. The last version looked like a shadow puppet production shot thru coffee grounds.

by Anonymousreply 71May 10, 2022 3:59 AM

Why would you want Pike to be exactly like Kirk?

by Anonymousreply 72May 10, 2022 3:59 AM

R65 Mount this pike.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73May 10, 2022 4:06 AM

Mount this dike.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74May 10, 2022 4:07 AM

Spock is hot. Vulcans have premarital sex? How scandalous.

by Anonymousreply 75May 10, 2022 4:14 AM

Have they ever shown Vulcans having any kind of sex outside of their pon farr? Maybe T'Pol but she wasn't a normal Vulcan after the mind-meld disease and then her drug addiction.

by Anonymousreply 76May 10, 2022 4:18 AM

r76 Well, cannon is they can have sex outside of pon farr but many are so tightly wound.. they don't. So, that's why it's so extreme and borders on sexual assault because the drive is so strong. holographic alternatives provide no relief. It's possible, even probable they may have altered their reproductive cycle. But that is not cannon, only theory. Vulcans aren't naturally repressed or disciplined, they're trained to be. It's what brought order to the chaos when their world was divided by extremes. So, now, they basically live in a theocracy... logic is honored, strong emotions are a sin and risks harming the society at large.. whether this is belief, fear or related to their telepathic abilities is unknown. We come to greater questions concerning hybrids... as we don't have much objective information about them. Spock was raised as Vulcan but he struggled with control.

It is possible for vulcans to have sex outside of pon farr but they're more likely to share in other rituals... which run along the lines of somewhere between tantric foreplay or mind meld sex. Or even more milder just touch and company... the most intimate act is for them to let down their guard and share their emotions.

by Anonymousreply 77May 10, 2022 4:34 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78May 10, 2022 4:42 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79May 10, 2022 4:43 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80May 10, 2022 4:44 AM

[quote]R23 Kirk and Spock are not gay either

R23 and R25 obviously never read the novel of 'Star Trek: The Motion Picture.'

[quote]Jim! Goodbye, my…my t'hy'la. This is the last time I will permit myself to think of you or even your name again. —. Spock when leaving for Gol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81May 10, 2022 7:29 PM

[quote]R42: Did they really need to include a new Uhura?

What do you mean, a "new" Uhura? You do know that Nichelle Nichols is far too old to play her, right? And that the character was always black?

SMH.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82May 10, 2022 7:34 PM

[quote]What do you mean, a "new" Uhura? You do know that Nichelle Nichols is far too old to play her, right? And that the character was always black?

We cannot have a discussion if you insist on being impossibly stupid.

Really? You have absolutely no idea what I meant. The ONLY possible interpretation has to be I was demanding that Nichols play her - really? That's the only possible meaning to "did they really need ot include a new Uhura?"

by Anonymousreply 83May 10, 2022 7:37 PM

[quote]R8: Ummm the OG show included what was considered contemporary politics of the time also.

[quote]R9: They covered contemporary political issues a lot back then. Despite what [R5] says, it's the kind of topic Gene would have dealt with.

Correct, both of you. 'Let That Be Your Last Battlefield' even actually included footage of burning buildings from the Watts Riots.

[quote]We cannot have a discussion if you insist on being impossibly stupid.

R83, your post at R42 was impossibly stupid. In what possible sense do you think this is "a new Uhura"? The character is the same.

It's telling that you're not also bitching about Christine Chapel.

by Anonymousreply 84May 10, 2022 7:44 PM

[quote] [R42]: Did they really need to include a new Uhura?

They have a lot of TOS characters in this new show, it would've been stupid to exclude her. If Spock, Kirk(brother this season and James T next season), Christine Chapel, and Dr. M'Benga are all on the show why the hell should they leave out one of their most iconic characters? I suspect we will see all of them before the series ends.

by Anonymousreply 85May 10, 2022 8:04 PM

A "new Uhura" simply means a new actress. And seriously, she's fat and looks really dykey. Nichelle Nichols was thin, feminine and gorgeous. Terrible miscasting.

by Anonymousreply 86May 10, 2022 9:11 PM

R83, I had no idea what you meant either.

by Anonymousreply 87May 10, 2022 9:28 PM

I know how well this will sit with the DL, but Celia Rose Gooding fought to be allowed to have natural hair and not a wig or a weave.

I find that commendable, personally. It's the same kind of shit Avery Brooks had to go through when they refused to let him shave his head.

by Anonymousreply 88May 10, 2022 10:00 PM

[quote]Nichelle Nichols was a very attractive woman, this new Uhura is a butterball. They couldn't find a hot black actress?

Not that I needed a reminder that most DL readers are eldergay men who know nothing about sexual attraction to women and are just as bigoted in some ways as elder Repugs.

The reason SNW doesn't have a "hot" – quote unquote, just for emphasis – Black actress playing Uhura is because the producers are consciously trying to avoid the traditional pitfalls of hiring women of color, in this case the overwhelming preference for lighter-skinned, "white-looking" women for the roles. Much like R58, straight male producers and casting directors have long viewed Black women who look more or less "normal" – very dark-skinned and decidedly not size-2 – as "unattractive." Even worse, the woman last hired to play Uhura (Zoe Saldana) isn't "fully" Black at all: her parents are Dominican and Puerto Rican, but in no iteration of the character is she intended to be mixed race or Latina. (Even the character's name is rooted in Africa: "Uhura" comes from the Swahili word for "freedom.")

Also, since it seems to have escaped many DLers' attentions: the ONLY cis white male characters on any of the current or recent Trek shows are either OG ones from TOS or TNG; villains (e.g. Tarka on the most recent season of "Discovery"); or queer (e.g. Stamets). Everyone else is either female (both cis and trans) and/or a person of color and/or queer. "Picard" has three legacy characters who are all white men (Picard, the various Soongs, and Q - a universal god played by a cis white male actor, in a casting decision with zero likelihood of being repeated today), and that's quite literally it. The only other male actors are Hispanic (Santiago Cabrera) and Kiwi/Maori (Evan Evagora).

SNW obviously has two cis white men in its legacy roles of Pike and Spock (and apparently a Kirk uncle or sibling in a minor role), but the "cost" of that is diversifying the rest of the cast (and characters). The ostensibly not "hot" Celia Rose Gooding, who now plays Uhura, is the youngest woman to ever be nominated for the Best Musical Actress in a Featured Role Tony, and happens to be a very outspoken pro-Black, pro-queer actor (Gooding is bisexual). The others are La'an (new security chief played by a half-Chinese actress - admittedly slightly confusing given that the character is also a descent of the infamous Khan, a Muslim-"sounding" character played by a Spaniard); Ortegas the lesbian-Latina helmsman (helmswoman?); M'Benga (Black male doctor played by an actor of Nigerian descent); and of course Nurse Chapel and Number One, played by more "traditional" white female beauties (with the latter being played by former supermodel Rebecca Romijn).

DL's geriatric (and nearly unilateral cis white male) posters remain in denial that the future is both female AND gender-neutral (but not "male"), and very much non-white (and vastly more gay than any earlier Trek TV iteration or movie). The irony is that TOS was one of television's most progressive shows when it first aired back in the '60s, when DL eldergays were still in their 30s: first Black female character on TV – and the first male of Asian descent – in non-token / non-stereotypical roles, along with a Russian character despite the show debuting barely five years after the Cuban Missile Crisis.

But, of course, DLers would much rather shit all over a pro-gay show and its pro-gay actors – many of whom are gay IRL – if it dares to suggest that trans people belong in the same spectrum as them.

by Anonymousreply 89May 10, 2022 10:20 PM

r89 Nichelle Nichols was not light skinned.

Casting an actress who looks nothing like Nichols is rather ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 90May 10, 2022 10:27 PM

tl;dr r89. Maybe you can go back up on your cross now.

by Anonymousreply 91May 10, 2022 10:29 PM

[quote]DL's geriatric (and nearly unilateral cis white male) posters remain in denial that the future is both female AND gender-neutral (but not "male"), and very much non-white

Nobody knows what the future will be. And I'm in my thirties.

by Anonymousreply 92May 10, 2022 10:30 PM

[quote] Nurse Chapel and Number One, played by more "traditional" white female beauties (with the latter being played by former supermodel Rebecca Romijn).

Has something happened to Romijn's face? It just doesn't look right around the chin.

by Anonymousreply 93May 10, 2022 10:46 PM

[quote]Casting an actress who looks nothing like Nichols is rather ridiculous.

Are you seriously trying to argue that Zoe Saldana "looks more" like her? Also, have you seen "Superman Returns"? Textbook case for NOT hiring someone who looks exactly like the predecessor in a role.

And did it somehow escape your notice that Ethan Peck bears almost no resemblance to Leonard Nimoy, or even Quinto for that matter? Aside from Spock's trademark black Caesar cut and pointy ears, Peck is both considerably better-looking and substantially more built (a point I'm surprised no one's mentioned, given Peck's shirtless scene in the premiere – he's clearly bulked up, and also smooth-chested, unlike the prior two Spocks. The character who looks the least like the original '60s version is Nurse Chapel, but since she's a "hot" white female I guess that doesn't count.

[quote]Nobody knows what the future will be. And I'm in my thirties.

Spoiler alert: 20 years ago nearly everyone on TV was white; all American presidents and vice-presidents were white men; and gay men couldn't even legally have sex in many states, let alone marry one another. Despite the Supreme Court's current trajectory, the future will look far more like 2022 than 2002 from this point forward, and now that we've had both a Black president and Black-Indian VP, we'll likely be seeing this type of diversity for the foreseeable future, at least inside the party that isn't trying to disenfranchise persons of color and destroy democracy in general.

by Anonymousreply 94May 10, 2022 10:55 PM

[quote]Has something happened to Romijn's face? It just doesn't look right around the chin.

Subpar cosmetic work. The ol' gal is pushing 50, so almost nothing on her face is likely untouched. Definite fuckloads of fillers throughout, along with Botox on her forehead and eyes. She probably ended up with some slack in her jaw, so what you saw might be either botched injectables along her jawline and chin or a screwed-up neck lift.

by Anonymousreply 95May 10, 2022 10:58 PM

Singh is a Sikh name.

by Anonymousreply 96May 11, 2022 3:45 AM

As was observed decades ago regarding ST character Khan Noonien Singh, R96.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97May 11, 2022 3:53 AM

Uhura probably will go through some character development, and while doing so she will undergo some changes in hair style. Happens all the time, especially with female characters.

by Anonymousreply 98May 11, 2022 8:50 AM

Let's hope she loses some weight, too.

by Anonymousreply 99May 11, 2022 10:35 AM

Ethan Peck has a very hairy torso.

I was very disappointed to see he had shaved/waxed all the hair off.

Leonard Nimoy was quite hairy as well.

by Anonymousreply 100May 11, 2022 10:57 AM

Yeah, it was...odd...seeing Spock being sexual. I'm not a huge ST fan but that definitely stood out to me. It was also HOT.

by Anonymousreply 101May 11, 2022 11:25 AM

T'Pring is a slut!

by Anonymousreply 102May 11, 2022 12:37 PM

r102, I know that’s right Gurl! 😂

by Anonymousreply 103May 11, 2022 12:50 PM

R89 Bore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104May 11, 2022 1:02 PM

While Vulcans can be hot, my favorite alien are Romulans. They're so sinister and passionate.

by Anonymousreply 105May 11, 2022 2:16 PM

You might enjoy the Romulan-focused novels by Josepha Sherman and Susan Shwartz, R105.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106May 11, 2022 2:41 PM

So is the ginger from the dinner, the bridge, and walking past Spock & Uhura at the end of the episode going to fulfill his destiny of being a red shirt and dying on an away mission?

He fits the requirements. Seen in a few shots, no speaking part yet, but may get a line or two before his death….

by Anonymousreply 107May 12, 2022 10:36 AM

S1E2 is another not-terrible, not great episode.

It spends way too much time having random women officers taking control and saving the day. Now, if it were Number One, fine. But, it's the other women who making all the decisions and Pike just spends his time agreeing that they're smarter than he is.

And, it Pike's hair gets any poofier, he's going to float away, even the vacuum of space.

by Anonymousreply 108May 12, 2022 5:00 PM

I am still waiting for these to make an appearance:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109May 12, 2022 5:10 PM

I hate that all the junior officers talk back to their superiors in snarky reparte. For example, there's no way a cadet would be telling Spock he announces too many deadlines and have the captain agree with her. I guess the writers think it's snappy and cool. This is common across all New Trek and it's infuriating.

by Anonymousreply 110May 12, 2022 5:51 PM

Does anyone else think Spock’s sideburns are about one and a half inches too long?

by Anonymousreply 111May 12, 2022 9:10 PM

[quote]Does anyone else think Spock’s sideburns are about one and a half inches too long?

It's some sort of thing, apparently.

The length of his sideburns frequently changes across episodes for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 112May 12, 2022 9:28 PM

Well ST:NG made the barber a character. Superior show.

by Anonymousreply 113May 12, 2022 10:59 PM

Except for Number One, every woman on the Enterprise comes off as a total bulldyke. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's just odd.

We would never see a ship full of femme guys, would we?

by Anonymousreply 114May 13, 2022 2:08 AM

I wonder if they're trying to make up for the lack of lesbians in the other Star Trek shows

by Anonymousreply 115May 13, 2022 2:09 AM

reply 86 : Nichelle Nicholls was pudgy from the beginning! What show did you watch?! Actually, at a couple of points in the old TV show, she was actually obese, I'd say. She was too large to wear that short skirt.

I hope Spock branches out, moves on. I'd like him to be unattached, but active.

by Anonymousreply 116May 13, 2022 2:29 AM

Nichelle Nichols was not the least bit pudgy, she had a gorgeous body and a gorgeous face, tons of sex appeal. This new Uhura looks like she just walked in from a gender studies class at Oberlin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117May 13, 2022 2:40 AM

[quote]Nichelle Nicholls was pudgy from the beginning!

Sure, if you also think that Marilyn Monroe and Jayne Mansfield were "pudgy."

by Anonymousreply 118May 13, 2022 12:33 PM

One thing that bothers me a little is that we know DAAAMN well that the bridge for Pike’s/Kirk’s Enterprise wasn’t that big.

by Anonymousreply 119May 13, 2022 1:06 PM

Can I jump into SNW without having seen any of ST Discovery? One of the reviews said something about Pike appearing in episodes of Discovery, which I found confusing because I thought Discovery was set after the original series.

by Anonymousreply 120May 13, 2022 1:18 PM

You don't need to watch Discovery to get into SNW

by Anonymousreply 121May 13, 2022 1:20 PM

Pike was on the original show, for crying out loud. Watch the old shows, they are actual Star Trek. This new stuff is hot garbage.

by Anonymousreply 122May 13, 2022 1:33 PM

[quote]Can I jump into SNW without having seen any of ST Discovery? One of the reviews said something about Pike appearing in episodes of Discovery, which I found confusing because I thought Discovery was set after the original series.

Yes, you'd know what's going on. But, the "why" might be a bit of a mystery.

So, you'd know that he saw his future in the beepy wheel chair, but you wouldn't know how it was he came to see that future. Is knowing in what context he saw his future necessary - debatable. In the hands of better writers - yes, it would be. In the hamfisted writers currently in control of Trek - probably not.

by Anonymousreply 123May 13, 2022 1:53 PM

R120, Discovery started out pre-original show, and is now WAY post-Next-Generation (they time-jumped 900 years).

by Anonymousreply 124May 13, 2022 2:37 PM

Two episodes in, and I think it's already my favorite Star Trek Series.

by Anonymousreply 125May 13, 2022 2:48 PM

I like that there may be an overarching plot but each episode so far is independent from the others. Hopefully it'll stay like that.

by Anonymousreply 126May 13, 2022 2:50 PM

These threads where people take new Trek seriously are just too much. This show was originally a utopia (set on a military vessel, but whatever) with actual SFnal content. The new "Trek" is dystopian. They are missing the whole point.

by Anonymousreply 127May 13, 2022 3:08 PM

r127 things evolve and change. Discovery is lacking, but SNW shows promise. We can't stay stuck in the 60s.

by Anonymousreply 128May 13, 2022 3:23 PM

STNG was also utopian. That's the 90s. And I would agree with you, if they weren't resurrecting and ruining Picard at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 129May 13, 2022 3:24 PM

I mean, ruining Picard more than they already did in those awful STNG movies.

by Anonymousreply 130May 13, 2022 3:25 PM

Picard would've been better without all the subplots and Brent Fucking Spiner always having to be involved in the damn thing.

by Anonymousreply 131May 13, 2022 3:26 PM

R7, drastically changed from an earlier dullish version. But yeah, a little too coiffed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132May 13, 2022 3:33 PM

r127, totally agree. Actually anything after the first series sucked. Especially the one with that raspy-voiced ho, Kate Mulgrew.

And all those aliens with weird foreheads...

by Anonymousreply 133May 13, 2022 3:36 PM

Next Generation was very good, R133, but I can understand why original series fans wouldn't like it.

by Anonymousreply 134May 13, 2022 3:40 PM

Anson Adams Mount IV.

by Anonymousreply 135May 13, 2022 3:40 PM

It took NG a long time to find its feet. Even then it put out quite a few stinkers.

by Anonymousreply 136May 13, 2022 3:45 PM

True enough. But it was better than this new rash of awfulness.

by Anonymousreply 137May 13, 2022 4:02 PM

Watched 2nd episode. Mount is just to passive even for a power bottom.

by Anonymousreply 138May 13, 2022 4:33 PM

Voyager had its flaws, but it could be great when it wanted to. Kate Mulgrew was consistently excellent as Janeway, even in the shit episodes. Very strong actress.

by Anonymousreply 139May 13, 2022 4:35 PM

Pike will soon morph into Cruella De Vil with his wayward hair.

by Anonymousreply 140May 13, 2022 4:39 PM

The Next Generation has actually aged quite badly. There are some classic episodes but far too much of the show is a dull, insipid plod. They had around 3 great characters; Picard, Data and Worf, and some truly bland ciphers like Troi, Geordi and Beverly Crusher. Just about all episodes focused on the latter three were a waste of space.

by Anonymousreply 141May 13, 2022 4:42 PM

"The new "Trek" is dystopian. They are missing the whole point. "

I don't think they are. The original Star Trek and TNG were products of their era. Hopeful, prosperous etc. The new ST reflects our era. Dystopian and without hope.

by Anonymousreply 142May 13, 2022 4:45 PM

If STNG is a "dull, insipid plod" then these new shows are neovagina discharge.

by Anonymousreply 143May 13, 2022 4:54 PM

R142 I think what made the original strike a chord with people is because it was optimistic and full of hope about the future, at a time when society was in turmoil. As we are in turmoil again, many of us would like Trek to give us that again, rather than basically saying the world is shit and will stay shit even in the future.

by Anonymousreply 144May 13, 2022 5:01 PM

[quote]The original Star Trek and TNG were products of their era. Hopeful, prosperous etc.

You're joking, right? TOS was produced during some of the most turbulent and violent years in recent history. The hopefulness of Trek was intentionally introduced to counter the prevailing sense of hopelessness of the VIetnam war and the Cold War.

by Anonymousreply 145May 13, 2022 5:31 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146May 13, 2022 5:37 PM

Both episodes released so far have been pretty good. The show has developed the bridge crew in two episodes better than "Discovery" has in all four seasons. The episodic format to the show works so much better than a continuing plot would. The Enterprise itself looks gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 147May 13, 2022 5:47 PM

I gave up on Discovery, as did many others.

by Anonymousreply 148May 13, 2022 5:49 PM

Okay, I'll admit to not gagging as much re the 'Next Generation' generation. But a lot of what I saw took itself WAAAAY too seriously.

And those pajama outfits...

by Anonymousreply 149May 13, 2022 6:10 PM

It just feels a little too contemporary. I'm waiting for a lecture on pronouns.

by Anonymousreply 150May 13, 2022 6:20 PM

The Boomers are dying and don't think anyone else deserves to exist after they go.

by Anonymousreply 151May 13, 2022 6:42 PM

What does that have to do with anything r151?

by Anonymousreply 152May 13, 2022 6:45 PM

That awkward moment when someone ( R147 ) , copies your homework ( R14)

by Anonymousreply 153May 13, 2022 10:32 PM

They're pairing the best parts of TNG (find a problem, solve a problem) with the best parts of DS9 (solid character work).

I really like Chapel, but it's kind of hard to pair this spunky woman with Majel Barrett's more subservient, demure version. i have a feeling they'd have given Chapel more of a backbone had Phase II ever actually happened, but it is jarring.

I'm really loving Ortegas. I didn't realize that the helmsman from "The Cage" was also named Ortegas, so I'm wondering if she's supposed to be a relative.

The more and more I hear Ethan Peck's voice, the more and more is sounds both like his grandfather and Nimoy. It's seriously impressing me.

Also, I REALLY want to bend Mr. Kyle over the transporter controls.

by Anonymousreply 154May 14, 2022 10:39 AM

Kyle is a cute twink. Probably a bottom.

by Anonymousreply 155May 14, 2022 10:47 AM

The actor was so dorky on Degrassi: TNG. He's had quite the glow-up.

I'm hoping he's discerning and not the Enterprise's pass-around party bottom, but he needs to live his truth.

by Anonymousreply 156May 14, 2022 10:56 AM

I am liking it a lot, too. But I see more potential. Telling people that they may end up destroying themselves if they keep spiraling the conflict is hardly a new message. I think a more powerful message would have been needed to impact. For example: Tell me Cpt Pike, how do you bring fighting parties together and make them dial down the intensity of their fight? Or maybe they could have made the impact of the spiraling conflict more tangible, so the viewer feels the negative impact. Showing snippets in thirty seconds was a bit of a shortcut. Maybe this would need to be a larger arc, for Picard or Discovery.

But yes, overall, I agree the writing adds plot and character developing to an excellent mix. The Uhura character has some appeal to me. She seems to take on the role that Kes had on VOY. I'm also curious about the chief engineer's story. This show is just at its beginning. Finally: I got my Trek back.

by Anonymousreply 157May 14, 2022 11:21 AM

It helps that the show has a ridiculously handsome captain and a sexy Vulcan.

by Anonymousreply 158May 14, 2022 11:28 AM

It also helps if you don't know anything about actual Trek.

by Anonymousreply 159May 14, 2022 11:57 AM

R153, it's the inevitable result of one person controlling several socks and flooding a thread; they tend to repeat themselves. The agenda there is to find ways to shit on 'Discovery,' because it's too "woke" for them.

BTW, it's the same cohort responsible for the anti-trans posts.

by Anonymousreply 160May 14, 2022 1:20 PM

I liked how they brought Lt. Kyle back as Commander Kyle on the USS Reliant.

I could never decide whether John Winston was handsome or not. He died at 91 in 2019.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161May 14, 2022 1:21 PM

r159 it's time to move on

by Anonymousreply 162May 14, 2022 2:34 PM

Mr. Plinkett keeps getting me wound up....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163May 14, 2022 2:36 PM

R161, in 'Strange New Worlds,' Kyle is Asian, played by Andrew Dae Kim.

Memory Alpha (linked below in English) will need to update its 'Kyle' article.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164May 14, 2022 2:49 PM

An overview of the new cast on 'Strange New Worlds':

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165May 14, 2022 2:51 PM

Paul Wesley has already been signed to play the young James Kirk in ST:SNW Season 2. It will be interesting to see how Kirk’s and Spock’s first meeting takes place.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166May 14, 2022 3:23 PM

This is why I'm watching:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167May 14, 2022 11:52 PM

Ethan Peck and Anson Mount are both so beautiful. Finally a Star Trek series that has some major man-candy!

When I was a kid that was the main appeal for me of the original show: both Willian Shatner and Leonard Nimoy were very handsome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168May 14, 2022 11:57 PM

Ethan Peck is hot as fuck! What’s the story on him?

by Anonymousreply 169May 15, 2022 12:00 AM

Love Ethan Peck. Hot AF and a fantastic ass!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170May 15, 2022 12:06 AM

R169 He has the best genes in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 171May 15, 2022 12:21 PM

The Original Series had an episode called “Spock’s Brain”. SNW needs an episode called “Spock’s Ass”.

by Anonymousreply 172May 15, 2022 2:46 PM

R172 Spock's Ass:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173May 15, 2022 5:46 PM

In motion:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174May 15, 2022 5:47 PM

I like it because I like guy's butts with good side dimples, rather than the blubbery giant messes that pass for "bubble butts" these days.

by Anonymousreply 175May 15, 2022 5:50 PM

DL's resident geriatric and misogynists are sure having a field day with this show...

[quote]It spends way too much time having random women officers taking control and saving the day.

Oh no! Not VAGINA'D PERSONS!!! I can only assume it's escaped your attention up till now that nearly ALL of the characters on the current ST shows are either female or alien – and the few who aren't are men of color (mainly Black and Asian). And if you don't think this comment comes off as totally sexist, try repeating it to yourself after replacing "women" with "men."

[quote]One thing that bothers me a little is that we know DAAAMN well that the bridge for Pike’s/Kirk’s Enterprise wasn’t that big.

Actually, the producers *downsized* the Enterprise set from its size on "Discovery." It's purposely intended to resemble the Enterprise bridge from the ST movies, not the original show (which had appallingly cheap and dated-looking sets). It might "look" larger solely because modern-day cameras allow for a wider array of lenses, plus it's shot in anamorphic 2:33-1 format.

[quote]The new "Trek" is dystopian. They are missing the whole point.

Were you stoned when TOS aired or something? The only "dystopian" thing they've shown thus far is real-life footage from various 21st century protests and wars, and I can only assume you've forgotten that TOS was launched on the premise that the Earth would be consumed by the Eugenics Wars 30 years after the show aired, and WWIII not longer thereafter. The fact that the current show aired footage from its mildly retconned series of events – obviously we didn't see gene warfare 25 years ago – doesn't make it "dystopian."

Regardless, I don't get this comment AT ALL. The show's core ethos *literally* takes its name from TOS's voiceover intro: exploring strange new worlds. (And seeking out new life and civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.) There isn't anything remotely "dystopian" about an interplanetary federation, and Earth itself is in as utopian a state as it was on TOS (or TNG, for that matter).

[quote]We would never see a ship full of femme guys, would we?

I'm guessing you don't watch "Discovery," otherwise you'd already know that it has two femme guys (Paul & Hugh) and a femme trans man (Gray) – along with nonbinary but dyke-y Adira and obvious lesbian Tig Notaro.

by Anonymousreply 176May 15, 2022 8:59 PM

Oh lord r173! And a sweaty crack, too!

by Anonymousreply 177May 15, 2022 9:03 PM

[quote]As we are in turmoil again, many of us would like Trek to give us that again, rather than basically saying the world is shit and will stay shit even in the future.

Let's see: the Earth is in harmony. After First Contact, humanity ended all of its wars once people recognized how puny their concerns are with an entire galaxy to explore. The Enterprise's crew gets along well. WTF in this "world" is "shit"??

[quote]I'm really loving Ortegas. I didn't realize that the helmsman from "The Cage" was also named Ortegas, so I'm wondering if she's supposed to be a relative.

No, it's supposed to be the same Ortegas, with a gender change. TOS had only one female cast regular, given that it was the '60s, and most of the dialogue and "important stuff" was handled by the men. While TOS was remarkably progressive in terms of having both non-white and non-American characters, they were nearly all male, excepting Uhura (and Majel Barrett, but she was always a guest star).

[quote]Tell me Cpt Pike, how do you bring fighting parties together and make them dial down the intensity of their fight?

By boring the audience to death? (Sorry, but a definite problem with the original show in terms of plot was its *lack* of conflict. Great for utopian ideals, less great for dramatic tension.) Regardless, you're fallaciously assuming that every episode will be akin to the first, despite each being largely standalone in terms of plot.

[quote]She seems to take on the role that Kes had on VOY.

If she's killed off in the second season and replaced with a 23-year-old size-2 actress with a DD cup, I'll buy it. :)

[quote]They're pairing the best parts of TNG (find a problem, solve a problem) with the best parts of DS9 (solid character work).

Finally, something I agree with!

by Anonymousreply 178May 15, 2022 9:13 PM

[quote]Oh no! Not VAGINA'D PERSONS!!! I can only assume it's escaped your attention up till now that nearly ALL of the characters on the current ST shows are either female or alien – and the few who aren't are men of color (mainly Black and Asian). And if you don't think this comment comes off as totally sexist, try repeating it to yourself after replacing "women" with "men."

Those who want to be outraged and scream misogyny are always going to excuse poor writing to make their political points.

Exhausting. Did you notice I also stated that it would be fine if it were Number One - the first officer, a proven and capable person with the commander rank and not some random officer.

It's not that they're women that's the problem. It's that they only save the day BECAUSE they are women. No male lower ranking officer would be deferred to in this manner. It makes no sense because the command structure of a ship is essential and an officer like Number One would have years of command experience.

Personally, I would have preferred seeing Number One shine and be the badass they hinted she was on Disco and in the short Trek - as would most Trek fans who LOVE the character and actually almost universally excited by Romijn's previous portrayal.

Stop blaming "DL's resident geriatric and misogynists" for valid criticisms. Now, if you want to rebut with actual points rather than pure ad hominem, be my guest.

by Anonymousreply 179May 15, 2022 9:13 PM

Um... r179, I think you take this subject a tad too serious. We are talking about a show/franchise that mostly aims to entertain. If you are getting so riled up about this franchise, maybe you need to focus on another show that is more calming.

by Anonymousreply 180May 15, 2022 11:05 PM

Methinks R176-R177 writes for the craptastic shows or is employed by them in some fashion.

Either that, or she needs her daily baseball-sized valium.

by Anonymousreply 181May 15, 2022 11:20 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182May 18, 2022 1:14 PM

blackrock controlled divisive "woke really means in a COMA" crap.

by Anonymousreply 183May 18, 2022 2:34 PM

^ What does this sentence mean in English?

by Anonymousreply 184May 18, 2022 3:06 PM

With two lead Caucasians(Peck & Mount), you'd think the cancellation brigade would be louder on this one.

They will not truck displays of prominent white ass on our screens.

by Anonymousreply 185May 19, 2022 1:03 PM

Quien as mas macho - Anson Mount or Jeffrey Hunter.

Hunter was such a stunningly handsome man (as gorgeous as Clift in my mind).

I have to say that casting Mount, who didn't look nearly as good on that Marvel show from a few years back, was an excellent call to replace Hunter. I never warmed to Bruce Greenwood's Pike because he just didn't seem right for the part.

by Anonymousreply 186May 19, 2022 2:09 PM

Why would the “cancellation brigade” want it cancelled? Let’s face it, it’s usually when the leads are non-white and non-male that there’s a backlash and instant hate.

by Anonymousreply 187May 19, 2022 8:56 PM

Did anyone else pick up on Peck’s tribute to Leonard Nimoy’s pronunciation of the word “record?” Strangely, Nimoy pronounced “record” as “reh-chord” with the second syllable rhyming with “board” instead of “herd.” If you listen carefully, Peck’s Spock does this too.

by Anonymousreply 188May 19, 2022 9:04 PM

Who the fuck pronounces it rek-herd?! Every person I’ve ever heard say the word says reh-chord.

by Anonymousreply 189May 19, 2022 9:11 PM

I don’t think I’ve ever heard “Reh-cord”. I’d say it’s “rek-ord”. Mind you I’m British, so maybe it’s an accent or dialect thing.

I also can’t believe I’m having this conversation. As Bill said upthread, I need to get more of a life.

by Anonymousreply 190May 19, 2022 9:30 PM

I meant I’ve never heard “rek-herd”. Oh, who cares?

by Anonymousreply 191May 19, 2022 9:32 PM

All I do know is that Ethan Peck needs to marry ME and not that Vulcan ho.

by Anonymousreply 192May 19, 2022 9:32 PM

Peck's attraction is the deep baritone voice of his.

I wonder if we'd like him as much if he sounded like a Chipmunk.

by Anonymousreply 193May 20, 2022 1:54 AM

The actor who played Ensign Lance looks like a mix of Tom Hiddleston and Timothee Chalamet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194May 20, 2022 2:00 AM

Peck does a fantastic job of mimicking Nimoy's voice

by Anonymousreply 195May 20, 2022 2:01 AM

The Doctor has his daughter stored indefinitely in the transporter buffer.

DL Star Trek super fans- is this cannon or something new?

by Anonymousreply 196May 20, 2022 2:45 AM

[quote]DL Star Trek super fans- is this cannon or something new?

In TNG, Scotty was retrieved after some engineering magic where he stored himself in a pattern buffer for a hundred years, so it is possible to avoid pattern degradation which is the danger of long-term storage in a pattern buffer.

They techno-magicked to get around true trekkies by saying that he reintegrated his daughter periodically, then put her back in the pattern buffer, so it's neither new canon nor a violation of existing canon.

by Anonymousreply 197May 20, 2022 2:53 AM

You re-cord a rek-erd.

One is the verb (re-cord). The other is a noun (rek-erd).

by Anonymousreply 198May 20, 2022 3:38 AM

Until someone else pointed this out, I never actually noticed.

Whenever a word that is spelled the same but is pronounced differently, if the stress is on the first syllable, it's a noun. When it's on the second syllable, it's the verb.

CONduct / conDUCT

ATTribtue / attriBUTE

COMbat / comBAT

OBject / obJECT

PREsent / preSENT

PROceed / proCEED

REfund / reFUND

and of course

REcord / reCORD

Fun, n'est-ce pas?

by Anonymousreply 199May 20, 2022 3:47 AM

The ship has many cute twinks,with Ensign Lance among them.

by Anonymousreply 200May 20, 2022 4:43 AM

To me, Americans say rek-erd where's as traditional English speakers like the Brits, Indians, Pakis and Aussies would say re-cord.

Americans just bastardize the English idiom.

by Anonymousreply 201May 20, 2022 4:48 AM

Americans say re-cord as in you're taping something. A vinyl album is re-kerd.

by Anonymousreply 202May 20, 2022 5:04 AM

r201 believe it or not but the American accent is closer to what British people sounded like in the 17th and 18th centuries.

by Anonymousreply 203May 20, 2022 5:05 AM

A vinyl album is called a re-cord in England, Australia, India etc where proper English is spoken.

Re-kerd is just an Americanism.

by Anonymousreply 204May 20, 2022 5:07 AM

Australians sound like marble-mouthed rednecks, and many British dialects of English are severely bastardized forms of the language. One thing about American English is that it is pretty standardized. There are regional accents but not as heavy as in other countries. The structure of the language and the slang and pretty uniform. People from California, Alabama or NY can understand each other perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 205May 20, 2022 5:20 AM

Why is his hair so high? How much product does he use in space?

by Anonymousreply 206May 20, 2022 5:46 AM

I hate to say that, but I had a hard time understanding the doctor. Part of it is probably that I just need to get used to his accent. But another part seems to be the recording of his voice. I think I detected a lot more hissing sounds than from other voices. Is it just me, or did others have a bit of a problem with that, too?

by Anonymousreply 207May 20, 2022 12:12 PM

I understood the doctor just fine, grampie.

by Anonymousreply 208May 20, 2022 12:59 PM

I love that Ethan made such an effort to sound like Spock/Nimoy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209May 20, 2022 1:26 PM

I admire Ethan Peck for deliberately channeling something of Leonard Nimoy. Too often when a character is recast down the line, the new actor simply wants to put their own stamp on it, which I can understand yet also find a bit narcissistic (I have to point a finger at Jodie Whittaker who hadn’t watched any Dr Who at all and instead based her performance on Christopher Lloyd in Back to the Future). Fidelity should always be a consideration because, to me, it’s in line with integrity. I find it hard to accept the new Nurse Chapel actress as being Chapel at all. I wish they’d actually made her a different, new character.

by Anonymousreply 210May 20, 2022 1:52 PM

[quote]I find it hard to accept the new Nurse Chapel actress as being Chapel at all.

This.

by Anonymousreply 211May 20, 2022 2:36 PM

[quote]I find it hard to accept the new Nurse Chapel actress as being Chapel at all.

I feel the same way about the actress playing Uhura

by Anonymousreply 212May 20, 2022 2:38 PM

[quote]I feel the same way about the actress playing Uhura

I actually found Zoe Saladana's version more aligned with what I would envision to be Uhura. I don't like this wide-eyed version of her.

I still can't decide whether I prefer Peck or DL fav Zachary Quinto. Back when Star Trek 2009 was released, I thought Quinto's rendition was excellent. Peck's initial take on him in Disco was less engaging. Now, it's a tougher call, but I'm still leaning toward Quinto.

by Anonymousreply 213May 20, 2022 6:51 PM

I think Peck and Quinto are both very good. They have slightly different styles, but both work.

by Anonymousreply 214May 20, 2022 6:53 PM

Plus Peck is faaar more hotter than Queen Quinto!

by Anonymousreply 215May 20, 2022 7:47 PM

Peck is absolutely delicious, he could sit on my face anytime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216May 20, 2022 8:11 PM

Quinto looked the part but I never liked his voice. I prefer Peck, but the fact I have a huge crush on him may colour my objectivity.

by Anonymousreply 217May 20, 2022 9:48 PM

Is there a reason why Una's people are named after ancient Indo-European people? Was that ever explained?

by Anonymousreply 218May 24, 2022 10:57 PM

It also made no sense that she could just lie her way into SF Academy. Seems like at some point there would be some kind of genetic scan which would reveal that she isn't human.

by Anonymousreply 219May 25, 2022 2:36 AM

Ethan Peck is hot. No question.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220May 27, 2022 2:39 AM

Very intense and tense episode tonight. Loved it.

by Anonymousreply 221May 27, 2022 3:02 AM

I also loved it. SNW is really enjoyable so far.

by Anonymousreply 222May 27, 2022 3:03 AM

Still not feeling love for Amos Mount. Have watched all three episodes. As written and acted Pike is a low-T cypher. He just comes on and makes a schmaltzy "inspiring" speech at the end of each episode.. Rest of the time he's clearly gelded Beta who barely registers. The other characters mostly female run the show. Gynocracy indeed. I would have nailed all these whinny broads two episodes ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223May 28, 2022 5:58 PM

With his frosted tips and shoulder pads Mount is more Linda Evans than Bill Shatner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224May 28, 2022 6:25 PM

What is up with all these haircuts.

I just rewatched The Cage (Pike's debut in the original pilot) and the Enterprise crew had - across the board - very clean 50s/early 60s cuts. No high fades, etc

by Anonymousreply 225May 28, 2022 7:54 PM

It's not the 60s anymore r225. Time moves on.

by Anonymousreply 226May 28, 2022 8:03 PM

"Why aren't any of the women on this show wearing miniskirts? Why don't they have beehive hairdos and blue eye shadow and Cleopatra eyeliner? What is going on?"

by Anonymousreply 227May 28, 2022 8:05 PM

TNG flirted in one episode with a male miniskirt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228May 28, 2022 8:09 PM

Once again, the female characters are given snarky lines to deliver to men, but never the reverse. This time it's the Nooian-Singh character's turn to insult Spock on the bridge "Do you EVER speak in plain English?". And they continue to overwrite the Ortegas character with a a sassy aside or comment in response to every event or command.

by Anonymousreply 229May 28, 2022 8:26 PM

R229 Does Spock speak in English? Didn't they have the universal translator by that point, where they all speak their native language and what we and their crewmates hear is the computer's translation?

by Anonymousreply 230May 28, 2022 10:07 PM

I suppose someone has to take over McCoy's constant snide and unpleasant baiting of Spock.

by Anonymousreply 231May 28, 2022 10:59 PM

These are the voyages of the starship Wokeprise.

by Anonymousreply 232May 29, 2022 1:54 AM

R232, tell me you've never seen or paid attention to Star Trek, without telling me you've never seen or paid attention to Star Trek.

The whole POINT of the show, from the very first episode of the very first series, is to be "woke" (and stop saying it like it's a pejorative... unless you think being asleep and oblivious are good things). They pushed cultural and social boundaries from day one.

So just stop with that stupid crap.

by Anonymousreply 233May 29, 2022 2:04 AM

Not R32, but by being a movie theater manager I have seen every movie in the theater but I have never seen an episode of any series including the original.

by Anonymousreply 234May 29, 2022 2:08 AM

R233

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235May 29, 2022 2:18 AM

R233 That is true but much like progressivism itself the issues and positions have shifted while all individuals haven't.

by Anonymousreply 236May 29, 2022 2:34 AM

I am really enjoying the show so far. The plots have been boilerplate "Star Trek," but modernized. The crew has been given a decent amount of time to develop so far, and the relationships are good. I like La'an the best of the new characters. Peck is a good Spock.

by Anonymousreply 237May 29, 2022 3:00 AM

Every woman on the Enterprise except for Romijn looks like a stone cold dyke, but it's not a bad show so far.

Is there a shortage of feminine women in the 23rd Century?

by Anonymousreply 238May 29, 2022 3:21 AM

Ethan Peck makes my mussy wet.

by Anonymousreply 239May 29, 2022 3:44 AM

R238 Maybe the Orions enslaved them all.

by Anonymousreply 240May 29, 2022 3:49 AM

Ethan Peck is hot AF. I love his deep voice too.

by Anonymousreply 241May 29, 2022 3:54 AM

Spock: I was RAPED by Captain Pike in the ready room.

Bridge Crew: GASP!!

Spock: His catchphrase, "Hit it" has come to mean many things.

by Anonymousreply 242May 29, 2022 3:59 AM

I’m excited that the Gorn are being positioned as antagonists this season, because they are mean, scary reptilian motherfuckers. But didn’t Kirk and his Enterprise make first contact with them in TOS? I’m having vague memories that they did. Also, if you’re bitching about the haircuts on this excellent show and how they’re not 1950’s enough for you? For some reason? On this show about the 23rd century? Man…..I don’t know what to tell you.

by Anonymousreply 243May 29, 2022 5:16 AM

Poor twinky Teleporter guy lost the other twinky crew member he was flirting with at the start of the episode. Bummer. I thought we might be getting a gay male romance storyline, but instead he just ended up being a red-shirt. And Chief Kyle didn't even get any follow-up scenes after his buddy bit the dust.

I'm enjoying the series so far, but the episodes have mostly focused on the female cast, I'd like to start seeing some actual diversity. More Spock and Pike at least.

by Anonymousreply 244May 29, 2022 5:45 AM

I doubt we'll see any gay males in this show. They already filled their quota with Discovery.

by Anonymousreply 245May 29, 2022 6:41 AM

The diverse casting is fine. It's the endless sassing and saving the day by junior crew that grates. It's really a modern variation on Wesley Crusher Syndrome.

by Anonymousreply 246May 29, 2022 12:21 PM

It just occurred to me. Is spock his first name, last name, only name?

A planet of first name only people would get confusing. how many Spocks would there be?

by Anonymousreply 247May 29, 2022 12:28 PM

Back in TOS Spock had a throwaway line that his first name was something humans couldn't pronounce.

by Anonymousreply 248May 29, 2022 12:32 PM

R246 You want the one saviour? Try Discovery and ask for Michael Burnham.

by Anonymousreply 249May 29, 2022 1:08 PM

R249 people bitch about Burnham being some supernatural saviour….when Sisko was literally a God. Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 250May 29, 2022 1:14 PM

^ I think they kept the nature of the wormhole aliens pretty ambiguous. And I think even Bajorans only labeled them prophets not gods. Once a decade they sent an orb to Bajor but other than that - did they do anything god-like?

by Anonymousreply 251May 29, 2022 1:27 PM

They were in-flight entertainment for some wormhole crossings, R251.

by Anonymousreply 252May 29, 2022 1:45 PM

The Prophets were generally non interventionist to begin with, until we learned they could wipe away a Dominion fleet in a flash and set up the events that led to Sisko’s birth and his ultimate death. I liked this element, but a lot of people hated it.

by Anonymousreply 253May 29, 2022 2:12 PM

Can't wait for the episode Mudd's Men.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254May 29, 2022 2:44 PM

To me, the big difference is Sisko wasn't shoved in our faces, down our throats, and up our asses like Burnham.

by Anonymousreply 255May 29, 2022 7:58 PM

R255 mmm, I actually wish he had been now you put it that way.

by Anonymousreply 256May 29, 2022 8:45 PM

I hope La'an lightens up a bit at some point. Right now she is just a sourpuss about everything. I get it; she has issues to work through. But if she doesn't sort those out at some point, I want her off the ship. She's a drag, and not a fun one.

by Anonymousreply 257May 29, 2022 9:05 PM

So true r255!

r257, I agree but I think both Captain Pike and Number One are good at keeping her in check.

by Anonymousreply 258May 29, 2022 9:09 PM

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds is the highest rated Star Trek Series or Movie in history.

by Anonymousreply 259May 30, 2022 6:15 AM

Yes, it's the highest rated. Wow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260May 30, 2022 6:19 AM

Hmm. I just watched Episode 4, 'Memento Mori,' and it seems plain to me that Chief Kyle is gay, watching he and Ensign Todd light up each others' lives, passing one another in the corridor. Looked like a possible relationship. Too bad plot events brought that to a sad end.

by Anonymousreply 261May 30, 2022 9:29 PM

“Memento Mori” was some of the best Trek in years.

by Anonymousreply 262May 30, 2022 10:08 PM

It really harks back to the original but with a new feel to it. I am really enjoying it.

by Anonymousreply 263May 30, 2022 10:17 PM

Chief Kyle and Ensign Todd would have made a cute couple. Far less annoying that those two drama queens on "Discovery."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264May 30, 2022 10:18 PM

R261 Yes, I spotted that as well. I hope that's not all the character development the gay male crew member is going to get on this show, essentially just a background actor.

So far this series seems more interested in giving the main storylines to the women in the cast, which is fine, but I'd like some balance. You can't call your show diverse if only one gender takes takes up all the airtime.

by Anonymousreply 265May 30, 2022 10:23 PM

Am I the only one who felt like Pike and Sam Kirk were flirting? Also, did they save him. I heard Spock say he was stable but then I missed it if they said he lived or died, or what?

by Anonymousreply 266May 31, 2022 3:27 AM

Maybe I'm going senile, but I seem to recall a couple years ago, there was mention of Pike and perhaps Spock being bisexual in SNW.

by Anonymousreply 267May 31, 2022 4:56 AM

R267 There were rumors about Kirk, but that will likely not happen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268May 31, 2022 5:06 AM

R266, he had to survive, since he's in a TOS episode where James Kirk responds to a colony distress call, only to find Sam dead there (victim of the flying melted-plastic mind-control neurons).

by Anonymousreply 269May 31, 2022 7:56 AM

R269 I thought he was in a TOS episode but I haven't watched TOS in so long I wasn't 100% sure.

by Anonymousreply 270May 31, 2022 1:45 PM

[quote]I actually found Zoe Saladana's version more aligned with what I would envision to be Uhura. I don't like this wide-eyed version of her.

Did it escape your attention that this version of Uhura is more akin to Wesley Crusher than Zoe Saldana's version? She's a mere cadet who's never traveled beyond Earth before. She's *supposed* to be "wide-eyed," because she's a prodigy who's only barely 19 or 20 years old.

[quote]Is there a reason why Una's people are named after ancient Indo-European people? Was that ever explained?

Actually, TOS arguably started this trend in sci-fi, recognizing the reality that Earth cultures will only continue to mix more and more – basically the outcome the GQP knows is inevitable IRL, but is desperately fighting regardless – to the point at which everyone will be essentially a mutt. (Even shows like "Firefly" have acknowledged it, e.g. having characters fluent in English & Mandarin, the future's likely lingua franca(s?).

[quote]Still not feeling love for Amos Mount. Have watched all three episodes. As written and acted Pike is a low-T cypher.

It seems like you prefer Shatner's rampant scenery-chewing style, which was all the more present on TOS. Most of us prefer a tad more ... maturity. (Also, can we assume you hated Picard, too, given his low-T-ness?)

[quote]Once again, the female characters are given snarky lines to deliver to men, but never the reverse.

Damn those uppity bitches! Sounds like they need a REAL man to put them in their place! (Obviously not your misogynist ass.)

by Anonymousreply 271May 31, 2022 9:29 PM

[quote]Every woman on the Enterprise except for Romijn looks like a stone cold dyke, but it's not a bad show so far. Is there a shortage of feminine women in the 23rd Century?

More like recognition among producers and casting directors that hiring female actors solely because of their looks is sexist and regressive, which means we'll be seeing quite a few less "hot" women on all future TV shows. Instead they'll (gasp!) reflect *actual* real-world beauty standards! A few hot; most definitely not. Shocking, I know!!! (Btw Nurse Chapel looks more like a sorority girl than a stone cold dyke.)

[quote]I doubt we'll see any gay males in this show. They already filled their quota with Discovery.

The difference being that SNW's two leads are both established white-male characters in ST canon, so it needs more women as castmembers to compensate. ("Discovery," in contrast, has literally ZERO cisgender white men who are both human & hetero. Even this season's villain, played by Shawn Doyle, ended up being at least coded gay.)

[quote]Yes, it's the highest rated. Wow.

Um, you realize Rotten Tomatoes isn't that old, right? It came out after all of the TOS & TNG movies aside from the last two (which were famous shitfests), and "Enterprise" was the only series it was around for (prior to the new Paramount+ batch, of course). That said, I'm not at all surprised SNW is the highest-rated. Despite all the eldergay whining, bitching & moaning about the lack of hot men aside from Mount & Peck - and excessive number of "bulldykes" / women who aren't "feminine" enough for their homosexual (!) tastes (e.g. Uhura) - it really IS an excellent show in every respect.

[quote]Also, did they save him. I heard Spock say he was stable but then I missed it if they said he lived or died, or what?

If any Kirk relative had died a classic red-shirt death within the first few eps, we'd still be able to hear the Trekkie meltdowns from space.

by Anonymousreply 272May 31, 2022 9:51 PM

Poisoned Dragon can really shit on a tread. He's the above two posts, among others.

by Anonymousreply 273May 31, 2022 11:20 PM

r271/r272 is a tiresome know-it-all

by Anonymousreply 274May 31, 2022 11:21 PM

[quote]Um, you realize Rotten Tomatoes isn't that old, right?

Um, you realize that Rotten Tomatoes is a collection of reviews from all over the place, right?

by Anonymousreply 275May 31, 2022 11:22 PM

[quote]More like recognition among producers and casting directors that hiring female actors solely because of their looks is sexist and regressive, which means we'll be seeing quite a few less "hot" women on all future TV shows. Instead they'll (gasp!) reflect *actual* real-world beauty standards!

That's not what audiences want to see. Why do you think most famous actors and actresses are attractive? It seems like SNW went out of their way to cast ugly women.

by Anonymousreply 276May 31, 2022 11:24 PM

[quote] Still not feeling love for Amos Mount.

Well no doubt, because the actor playing Capt. Pike is ANSON Mount.

by Anonymousreply 277May 31, 2022 11:25 PM

Ansons’s gorgeous looks compensate for any deficit he might have as an actor.

by Anonymousreply 278June 1, 2022 12:51 AM

He is pretty.

by Anonymousreply 279June 1, 2022 1:08 AM

The Gorn sound horrifying, good choice that they're apparently being set up as a major villain.

by Anonymousreply 280June 1, 2022 1:08 AM

[quote]"Discovery," in contrast, has literally ZERO cisgender white men who are both human & hetero.

R272 forgot about Admiral Vance, who's become (along with Rillak) one of my all-time favorite Trek characters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281June 1, 2022 1:39 AM

R272 You lost me at cisgender

by Anonymousreply 282June 1, 2022 1:53 AM

[quote]"Discovery," in contrast, has literally ZERO cisgender white men who are both human & hetero.

And nobody watches it and you never hear about it. Strange New Worlds is a big hit and in three weeks has had more attention than Discovery has had in however many years it's been on.

by Anonymousreply 283June 1, 2022 2:23 AM

"Cisgender" white men are like 90% of Star Trek's audience.

by Anonymousreply 284June 1, 2022 2:24 AM

Sean Ferrick, at Trek Culture, in his review of this week's episode, called Lt. Kyle "Transporter Twink" so he must be hanging out here.

Hi Sean!

by Anonymousreply 285June 2, 2022 11:00 PM

In this week's episode, Capt. Pike looked good in the green leather wrap around uniform shirt designed after the one Kirk wore in TOS.

by Anonymousreply 286June 3, 2022 12:43 AM

R286, Pike can wear a burlap sack, and he’d still look sexy.

by Anonymousreply 287June 3, 2022 1:38 AM

Hopefully Enterprise will visit a new cultural where Pike will be required to wear assless chaps in a first contact rite.

by Anonymousreply 288June 3, 2022 1:43 AM

[quote][R272] forgot about Admiral Vance, who's become (along with Rillak) one of my all-time favorite Trek characters.

Oded Fehr is an Israeli, so not technically white...but, very cool in any case.

by Anonymousreply 289June 3, 2022 1:46 AM

I kinda hate to say it, but I find Pike, not ugly but not attractive. He is just unobjectionable? With every other captain, after the first episode, I was like fuck yeah I want to be on their crew, other than Discovery, but I have many problems with that show. But, Pike I'm like sure, he's a fine captain, but I don't love him, at least not yet. SNW feels much more like TREK than the other new ones, except for Lower Decks, but the captain hasn't been given enough to do. I don't yet understand why this crew would follow him. But, this show is what we the fans have been asking for. It's not dark and depressing, there is some humor and humanity. And, it is a future I would gladly aspire to, they brought some utopian hope back into the franchise. I hope it continues to get better.

by Anonymousreply 290June 3, 2022 1:47 AM

Is it just a matter of time before - you know who - makes an appearance on SNW?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291June 3, 2022 1:55 AM

Where's Ep. 5? Shouldn't it have come out today?

by Anonymousreply 292June 3, 2022 2:01 AM

[quote]Is it just a matter of time before - you know who - makes an appearance on SNW?

Well, since there is a Noonien Singh among the crew and Arik Soong appears to have created Khan...

We should have realized way back when when Data's creator was named Dr. NOONIEN Soong where this would eventually go. Back then, I just thought it was a random coincidence.

by Anonymousreply 293June 3, 2022 2:01 AM

Brent Spiner will probably turn up on SNW, grinding the show to a halt and annoying viewers every time he's onscreen.

by Anonymousreply 294June 3, 2022 2:05 AM

R294 Go back to L.A. Dr. Pulaski.

by Anonymousreply 295June 3, 2022 2:21 AM

r295 Spiner has really worn out his welcome. Shoehorning him into Picard was the last straw. People are fucking sick of him.

by Anonymousreply 296June 3, 2022 2:32 AM

This week’s episode was the best so far. It had humor and good character development. And a bare-chested Spock in bed.

by Anonymousreply 297June 3, 2022 3:56 AM

I like the balance of humor and seriousness on this show. It's very good so far, in spite of some of the dodgy casting decisions. The other actors and the writing are strong enough to override it.

by Anonymousreply 298June 3, 2022 3:59 AM

Ethan Peck has big feet. Oooh yes!

by Anonymousreply 299June 3, 2022 4:41 AM

I haven’t seen this weeks episode yet. Is it the obligatory Pon Farr episode? Does Spock go nuts with horniness?

by Anonymousreply 300June 3, 2022 4:58 AM

You'll have to watch and see,. R300.

Peck's Ready Room interview is insanely charming and sexy. Crush.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301June 3, 2022 5:44 AM

Still a crime that they made Ethan Peck shave his chest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302June 3, 2022 6:11 AM

I guess Vulcans aren't supposed to have body hair.

by Anonymousreply 303June 3, 2022 6:24 AM

R303 You sure?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304June 3, 2022 6:31 AM

In the new timeline r304

by Anonymousreply 305June 3, 2022 6:42 AM

Anson Mount is distracting to watch.

I can't get past his weirdly tiny nose—he got a nose job that's way too small for his face.

And his poofy bouffant is going to look as dated as a '70s shag in 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 306June 3, 2022 6:53 AM

The Latinx they's haircut will look even more dated.

by Anonymousreply 307June 3, 2022 6:56 AM

Pike is the love child of Cruella De Vil.

It explains his bizarre hair,

by Anonymousreply 308June 3, 2022 7:23 AM

Oh my gosh r301 Ethan also has a damn sexy voice.

by Anonymousreply 309June 3, 2022 10:54 AM

It's our great luck that all of the sexy Peck genes for voice and looks skipped a generation and gave us the gift of Ethan. Thanks, Greg!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310June 3, 2022 12:15 PM

[quote]And his poofy bouffant is going to look as dated as a '70s shag in 10 years.

Yeah, I don't get this styling choice.

He looked fantastic in Disco.

by Anonymousreply 311June 3, 2022 12:36 PM

Good episode this week that felt very "Star Trek" with the plot focusing on negotiations with an alien species. The character development bits were good, too. Nurse Chapel is bi or a lesbian, right? The conversations between her and Ortegas seemed like a prelude to them fucking.

by Anonymousreply 312June 3, 2022 3:35 PM

I’m guessing bi. Nurse Chapel still has that crush on Spock.

by Anonymousreply 313June 3, 2022 3:45 PM

Damn good episode with the Gorn- it harkens back to the old days of the red alerts. And it's uncanny how Ethan sounds like Nimoy.

by Anonymousreply 314June 3, 2022 4:05 PM

Ethan Peck identifies as... straight?

by Anonymousreply 315June 3, 2022 4:11 PM

I don't think Ethan Peck talks about his personal life.

by Anonymousreply 316June 3, 2022 5:51 PM

I love this so called 'article' about Ethan Peck's gay rumors

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317June 3, 2022 6:36 PM

He seems kind of fruity to me but who knows

by Anonymousreply 318June 3, 2022 6:45 PM

R318 We can only hope he is

by Anonymousreply 319June 3, 2022 6:47 PM

I chuckled at the "article" in R317 . To be honest, their posts remind me of Cavill's attempts to appear straight; always suspiciously right on time (when one is in the media for a big project) and overwrought with "Look how straight I am!" and "Look how in love we are!"

by Anonymousreply 320June 3, 2022 9:16 PM

I got such a kick hearing the old Star Trek fight music during this week's episode's opening scene with Spock.

by Anonymousreply 321June 3, 2022 9:26 PM

[quote]I got such a kick hearing the old Star Trek fight music during this week's episode's opening scene with Spock.

LOL - I geeked out a bit when I heard it, as well.

by Anonymousreply 322June 3, 2022 9:34 PM

R305 but isn’t SNW in the prime timeline?

by Anonymousreply 323June 3, 2022 9:40 PM

It is my understanding that it is in the prime timeline. The Kelvin timeline was created after TNG/DS9/VOY happened, right?

by Anonymousreply 324June 3, 2022 9:57 PM

[quote]It is my understanding that it is in the prime timeline. The Kelvin timeline was created after TNG/DS9/VOY happened, right?

The claim is that SNW is in the prime timeline. However, Kurtzman and Goldsman have both been clear that they don't intend to adhere slavishly to Trek canon if it contradicts the stories they want to tell. They have stated they have no problem violating existing Trek if it's convenient to do so.

by Anonymousreply 325June 3, 2022 10:00 PM

R324, partially true I think re the Kelvin timeline, but only because elder Spock failed to top the destruction of Romulus causing Nero to come back in time resulting in the death of Kirk's father which led to the divergence.

by Anonymousreply 326June 3, 2022 10:26 PM

The Abrams Star Trek films are the Kelvin timeline and everything else is the Prime timeline.

r325, I think that’s a pretty shitty attitude for Kurtzman and Goldsman to have. It’s an unnecessary slap in the face to longtime ST fans. They wouldn’t have this job if it wasn’t for us. That’s why DISCO is so polarizing now because of them starting a series with no clarity or even an attempt to clarify what timeline the series took place, especially in regards to the Klingons who definitely looked like Kelvin Klingons.

by Anonymousreply 327June 3, 2022 10:39 PM

At least they went with the feminine looking Vulcans on the home planet, instead of those stupid Spock haircuts they were putting on the female Vulcans working for the Federation.

by Anonymousreply 328June 3, 2022 10:43 PM

R327 I have never understood why they redesigned the Klingons like that. It would be like Disney completely redesigning Yoda for absolutely no reason. The TNG-movie series era Klingons were so iconic and such a symbol of Trek that it was just idiotic to mess with them. The moment I saw them I was like, this show is going to suck.

by Anonymousreply 329June 4, 2022 12:56 AM

Totally agree r329!

by Anonymousreply 330June 4, 2022 1:06 AM

[quote]I have never understood why they redesigned the Klingons like that. It would be like Disney completely redesigning Yoda for absolutely no reason. The TNG-movie series era Klingons were so iconic and such a symbol of Trek that it was just idiotic to mess with them. The moment I saw them I was like, this show is going to suck.

The rights to Trek got split when Paramount got divided - roughly the tv shows and the movies had two different licenses. There some sort of crazy had-to-be-25% different rule to separate the two properties.

For some bizarre reason, Disco was licensed under the movie license (which also explains why Kurtzman is running it). However, Paramount has essentially been reconstituted, so all the licenses are back under one umbrella again, so the rules have been more lax. Also, the newer stuff no longer has to deal with the dual licenses and 25% rule.

by Anonymousreply 331June 4, 2022 1:08 AM

R331 Yeah the way the rights were handled was crazy, especially since it was one company that was spit in two, though they shared most of the same major owners, who then re-combined them. Though, surely there was enough different with the rest of the show that they could've kept the Klingons the same.

by Anonymousreply 332June 4, 2022 1:21 AM

[quote]Though, surely there was enough different with the rest of the show that they could've kept the Klingons the same.

Apparently, it wasn't some sort of "average" but each unique visual had to meet the 25% rule to avoid audience confusion or some such nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 333June 4, 2022 1:47 AM

R333 That is just stupid, especially why would CBS air a tv show under the film license, when they already owned the tv license?

by Anonymousreply 334June 4, 2022 2:22 AM

[quote][R333] That is just stupid, especially why would CBS air a tv show under the film license, when they already owned the tv license?

Because the people who develop and produce a show are not necessarily the same as those who air the show.

by Anonymousreply 335June 4, 2022 1:57 PM

Here is a write-up about the Star Trek rights, the split and the re-merge.

I still don't understand the 25%-alteration rule though. What could be the purpose for this rule? If anything you would think that keeping looks and standard aligned on TV and in movie would help the brand overall. In hindsight I'd say that the rights should have been moved to a separate corporation that would have been controlled by Paramount and CBS 50/50 - just to ensure a homogeneous product throughout all lines of distribution.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336June 4, 2022 4:06 PM

[quote] If anything you would think that keeping looks and standard aligned on TV and in movie would help the brand overall.

Based on what various fan site analysis say, the rule was somehow intended to create separation between tv and movies.

Apparently, driven by lawyers and business people vs. creative folk who (supposedly) understood how fans actually work. It was intended to protect each side from the poor choices that either side made that could negatively impact the other. If you look at the amount of hate JJprise and Disco were getting, it sort of makes sense that there would be some sort of concern.

by Anonymousreply 337June 4, 2022 4:15 PM

I thought the Abrams Trek movies were very good, but I'm in the minority apparently.

by Anonymousreply 338June 4, 2022 4:26 PM

[quote]I thought the Abrams Trek movies were very good, but I'm in the minority apparently.

I thought they were for the most part entertaining. I thought they did a great job casting actors who captured the spirit of the originals, except maybe Uhura, who they really changed the character, partially because - as much as I loved her in the original series, the female characters did not do much when the original series ran other than be eye candy or someone for Kirk to seduce.

They were largely fun action adventure with a likable cast, but I can see why people did not think they seemed like Star Trek in mood etc. The only thing I had a significant issue with is Khan. He seemed to be Khan in name only and should have been a new character.

by Anonymousreply 339June 4, 2022 4:53 PM

I'm looking forward to the next Kelvin-timeline movie.

by Anonymousreply 340June 4, 2022 4:56 PM

I think I had major issues with the Kelvin movies:

Artistically, they were not aiming very high. It was mostly fluff, good, clean fun without any deeper delving into the characters. I think ST II, VI and First Contact still are the gold standards here. When in doubt, the Kelvin movies rather resorted to action and just looking good. Which they did well. But I always thought they could have aimed higher while still please a broad audience.

by Anonymousreply 341June 4, 2022 5:57 PM

The first Abrams movie was okay.

The second Abrams movie was half good, half shitty fan service.

The third Abrams movie was pure shit, total, shit, just hated it.

by Anonymousreply 342June 4, 2022 6:27 PM

To me the new movies were fine, because they were the first Trek films without a tv cast. They could go deeper with the TOS and TNG casts because we had watched the actors play characters for years. Other than Spock, we didn't have that in these films so I understood they would be slicker and more superficial and aimed at the casual fan.

But, the tv shows should be the opposite. Strange New Worlds seems to be getting it mostly right. My only concern is that the show cannot run for too long, there is a point where it has to end. Pike took command of the Enterprise in 2250, Kirk takes command in 2265. Enterprise's first appearance on DISCO was established as 2258. I'm guessing SNW is at least in 2259, so there aren't too many years to let it run before you start messing up the time line even more.

by Anonymousreply 343June 4, 2022 11:42 PM

I doubt SNW will run more than five seasons

by Anonymousreply 344June 4, 2022 11:45 PM

[quote]I doubt SNW will run more than five seasons

That's more a function of streaming platforms in general.

Few shows last more than 5 seasons.

by Anonymousreply 345June 4, 2022 11:46 PM

Well here it comes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 346June 8, 2022 2:14 PM

^^^exhausting.

The people running Trek these days are more concerned about their agenda than telling good stories.

Tell me a good story, and you can do what you want. Jamming your agenda into the show does NOT make a good story, no matter what you think. The fact of "representation" in itself does NOT make a good story.

by Anonymousreply 347June 8, 2022 3:38 PM

Well at least it's a guest starring role, that's good, I guess. We won't have to deal with it for long. Why didn't they put it on "Discovery"? Gasp! A planet full of non-binary aliens! (another one?) And only Burnham can save them!

by Anonymousreply 348June 8, 2022 3:58 PM

[quote]R347: ^^^exhausting.

What's exhausting is putting up with right wing trolls throwing hissy fits over every single appearance of LGBT characters and storylines.

This is a gay board, y'all. You're not going to turn us against each other. What are you even doing here? Go peddle that shit someplace else.

by Anonymousreply 349June 8, 2022 5:55 PM

It's shoehorning contemporary politics for woke points, which is distasteful. 99% of the population couldn't give two fucks about nonbinaries and are they represented enough and let's put them in everything. At least it's just a guest role.

by Anonymousreply 350June 8, 2022 6:01 PM

R350, not nearly as distasteful as your over-sensitivity towards anything you perceive as "woke." You sound as if you give considerably more than two fucks about non-binaries, since you spend all of your time and energy looking for them and reacting to them. For the rest of the real 99%, they are unremarkable, and their presence unobjectionable.

by Anonymousreply 351June 8, 2022 6:20 PM

Get fucked PoisonedDragon. Everybody hates you and you're nuts.

by Anonymousreply 352June 8, 2022 7:00 PM

[quote]Get fucked PoisonedDragon. Everybody hates you and you're nuts.

R352, that you choose this moment to post suggests that you're connected to the right-wing socks who just got called out on '𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬 𝐤𝐢𝐝𝐬 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐛𝐞𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐚𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐭𝐨𝐝𝐚𝐲'.

You and your sock accounts don't constitute "everybody," and never will. But by all means, keep on exposing your sock accounts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353June 8, 2022 7:07 PM

I don't have sock accounts but I won't intrude on your paranoid fantasies. You're clearly a few sandwiches short of a picnic but it's nobody else's problem. Again, get fucked. Go back to monitoring all the threads for your "enemies." Christ, you're a pathetic loser.

by Anonymousreply 354June 8, 2022 7:09 PM

[quote]Go back to monitoring all the threads for your "enemies."

I haven't said anything about "enemies." All it took to prompt this multi-sock fit from you was to point out your right-wing contributions in the other thread. I can do that anytime, anywhere, no sweat. And the more socks you bring into it, the more everyone else can see the games you're playing here on the DL. Your posts are objective evidence, regardless of the accounts you use.

by Anonymousreply 355June 8, 2022 7:23 PM

I only have one account. Disliking current SJW politics and having them inserted into everything hardly makes one a Republican. People are sick of this shit. And people are entitled to their own opinions. But keep on believing I have tons of different accounts. And again, you're insane.

by Anonymousreply 356June 8, 2022 7:26 PM

PoisonedDragon is a virtue signaling cunt who is always on the Star Trek and Star Wars threads. Guess it's better to just block her crazy ass.

by Anonymousreply 357June 8, 2022 7:27 PM

I love spotting a new nail polish pattern on Una every week, don't think I've seen that on Trek before. She still looks professional, but more stylish than others, and it gives her a "fuck you, I'm Number One on this ship, go tell on me if you dare" vibe.

I also love how she added a cheeky #1 next to her signature on the scorch.

by Anonymousreply 358June 8, 2022 7:37 PM

Romijn is very good in the role.

by Anonymousreply 359June 8, 2022 7:38 PM

I don't want to sound overly critical because I really enjoy the show. But at this point they just re-doing original TOS plots in very contemporary manners. You read the plot summary and think: Haven't they done that a hundred times already? The way they do it though feels very fresh. The show will be my most favorite Star Trek show once they come up with unique plot ideas - which I'm confident they will.

It's actually quite astonishing how Discovery has turned from mediocre writing to really bad, and Picard having such problems holding up a cohesive story arc. And now SNW is only five episodes in, and knocking it out of the park right from the start. None of these episodes have been even close to bad.

by Anonymousreply 360June 8, 2022 8:15 PM

r360 I would say give it time. So far yes they've been recycling but they're still doing an admirable job. Another season and things may gel a bit as everyone gets more comfortable. Remember TNG was pretty shaky at the beginning and it took a little time for things to really get going.

by Anonymousreply 361June 8, 2022 8:57 PM

r360 I get what you're saying, but judging from the positive response, that's exactly what people seem to crave after DIS and PIC, even if it is just a rehash with fanciers sets and better CG. TOS had such a simple formula with their "monster of the week" and it just works.

And yeah, this has been a crazy good first season so far compared to the first season of just about every other live-action Trek show (except TOS).

by Anonymousreply 362June 8, 2022 11:13 PM

I have no problem with non-binary people appearing in a show set in the 23rd. Century, especially if they are playing aliens. I think that by that time we will all basically be like on Dr. Who were everybody has sex with everybody else, by that time, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 363June 9, 2022 1:21 AM

[quote]Romijn is very good in the role.

Agreed. I wish they'd give her more to do and spend less time on the Noonien Singh and Ortegas. I'd rather see more of her and Dr. M'Benga.

by Anonymousreply 364June 9, 2022 1:45 AM

I totally agree with that r364.

by Anonymousreply 365June 9, 2022 2:21 AM

Also more of transporter twink! The ensigns complained that he is mean, but I can't picture that.

by Anonymousreply 366June 9, 2022 3:23 AM

R358 Have you seen the original ST pilot, "The Cage"? Majel Barrett's Number One had sparkly blue nail polish lol! I love they picked up on that and have been running with it for SNW.

by Anonymousreply 367June 9, 2022 12:17 PM

Seriously, I just saw a preview of Ep 7 - Why is Number One NEVER on the bridge.

by Anonymousreply 368June 9, 2022 12:54 PM

Somewhat convoluted plotting to get to that grim ending, but I enjoyed the episode nonetheless. Again, it just feels like classic Trek. The kid actor was so good and not at all annoying like Leia in that Obi-Wan Kenobi show. His outfits and lil' boots were so precious. I love how the security chief busted Uhura's balls, but then told her to present her own findings to Pike because it was excellent work, and then stood up for her when her work was dismissed by the alien guy. Such small things, but there's something so appealing about watching people be super professional and fair at their job.

r366 I could totally picture the cute Chief Kyle being a bitchy twink, he has the body and the face for it.

r367 Interesting, had a feeling it was a throwback! I saw The Cage three years ago and must have forgotten that detail.

by Anonymousreply 369June 9, 2022 2:34 PM

Pike's hair was particularly ridiculous this episode.

by Anonymousreply 370June 9, 2022 3:01 PM

Someone on Reddit made a joke that his hair has its own structural integrity field. It does appear to be getting taller and taller with each new episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 371June 9, 2022 3:10 PM

[quote]Pike's hair was particularly ridiculous this episode.

If I were an incel, "you ruined Trek" person, I'd think that they were purposely giving him a puffy buffant hairstyle to make him less seem weaker, less effective, and yes, more effeminate. He already defers to the judgment of Ortegas and Singh. It's one thing to trust your officers. It's another to defer to them.

by Anonymousreply 372June 9, 2022 3:11 PM

He doesn't defer to them, he consults them and trusts their expert opinion. It's always bothered me in Trek when captains were presented as renaissance people, masters of everything from inter-species mediation to engineering to astrophysics to piloting a starship, and the crew were there as ornaments to point out the obvious. That's just not what an executive position entails in real life.

by Anonymousreply 373June 9, 2022 3:18 PM

Will there be a Pike wig on Ru Paul's Drag Race?

by Anonymousreply 374June 9, 2022 3:37 PM

Mount is a handsome man. The hairstyle of his character is a bit naff. Maybe its an homage to the beehives of TOS, including Janice Rand's basket weave.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 375June 9, 2022 4:46 PM

His hair during Discovery was quite a bit less grey and poofy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 376June 9, 2022 4:50 PM

He's subconsciously reaching up to gawd with his hair now that he knows his death is near, he didn't have that knowledge yet in DIS.

by Anonymousreply 377June 9, 2022 5:03 PM

The original series was over 50 years ago. Why not recycle some of the plots? Whinging about reusing TOS plots is very ElderGay tm.

by Anonymousreply 378June 9, 2022 7:24 PM

[quote]The original series was over 50 years ago. Why not recycle some of the plots? Whinging about reusing TOS plots is very ElderGay tm.

And those original episodes have played in constant rotation ever since, and continue to be analyzed to death by Trekkers. You talk about them as though they're obscure and long-forgotten, But I guess that's to be expected from someone who thinks "eldergay" is a clever put-down.

by Anonymousreply 379June 9, 2022 7:28 PM

So many of those TOS plots have aged so well, I don't mind them being revisited and given a fresh new spin to reflect how our society has changed in half a century. It would be fun to compare them side-by-side since, like you say, the original ones have been analysed to death by now.

by Anonymousreply 380June 9, 2022 7:36 PM

R368 it seems like most of the crew is never on the bridge. The ensigns must get to play captain constantly. Would it kill them to have at least the occasional old fashioned bridge scene like TOS, TNG, VOY, and Enterprise had. They were my favorite. Just like today’s soaps rarely have big courtroom scenes which were/are my favorites in that genre.

by Anonymousreply 381June 9, 2022 10:38 PM

Green screen improvement means they can locate characters pretty much anywhere they feel like these days.

The old days had characters confined to actual sets and it forced them to limit locations.

These days actors can walk down an imaginary path and they can build a virtual set of anything around them.

Likely why we see less bridge scenes now. They have more options.

by Anonymousreply 382June 9, 2022 11:00 PM

Yep, these days they can actually show us what the characters used to just describe to the audiences while standing around on the bridge because of budget limitations. I recall those expository scenes being almost interminable for me when I was watching TOS. And it's not just green screen, that new AR wall they bought in 2020 has been a godsend for Trek. Everything looks so much more expansive now, as it should for a show set in space.

I admit I haven't noticed certain officers missing in the bridge scenes, and they were all there when Uhura was presenting her breakthrough. A lot of the times Number One isn't actually needed in the scene when the captain is present, and it's always bugged me how often Riker just sat there adding very little when Picard was in charge. At least Romijn has her own console next to the conn, so she doesn't look as useless.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 383June 9, 2022 11:41 PM

How is SNW copying TOS storylines? Examples please? The Gorn appearance in TOS actually showed the Gorn and it was mainly a battle between one Gorn and Captain Kirk. In SNW, we didn't see the Gorn at all which in my opinion, made this Gorn related episode much more scarier than that horrendous man in a suit we saw in TOS. Again, examples on how SNW is copying TOS please.

by Anonymousreply 384June 10, 2022 12:14 AM

The actor playing the transporter chief is 25. That must be some genius. Or is transporting people actually not that difficult?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 385June 10, 2022 3:34 AM

[quote]The actor playing the transporter chief is 25. That must be some genius. Or is transporting people actually not that difficult?

He's a specialist - it's like being a radar specialist or any other kind.

Notice when there was problem, the blind chief engineer stepped in to do what O'Brien or Scotty would have done in the past - reroute power and such.

He's probably very good at what he does, but simply limited in scope of what he does.

by Anonymousreply 386June 10, 2022 1:33 PM

Yeah, he just does that one thing, he doesn't even go on away missions or anything. 25 is not at all unbelievable and completely different from that Wesley wunderkind crap we had to suffer through on TNG.

by Anonymousreply 387June 10, 2022 1:37 PM

Terrible shows, this an "Discovery."

Whatever they are, they're not "Star Trek."

Period.

by Anonymousreply 388June 10, 2022 1:48 PM

Most of the fandom currently disagrees with you on SNW. Reactions to DIS were split right from the start.

by Anonymousreply 389June 10, 2022 1:59 PM

[quote] The actor playing the transporter chief is 25. That must be some genius. Or is transporting people actually not that difficult?

People forget that Starfleet is basically, structurally, a military. There are the officers who go to the academy and then there are enlisted type people who receive more practical training. In the current day, men and women enlist at 18 and by 25 many of them have become specialists with a specific position. By this point he would be an old hand at transporting.

by Anonymousreply 390June 10, 2022 3:19 PM

I don't know who's cuter, Kyle or Rhys on Discovery. All I know is I want both of them in my lap.

I had a crush on Harry Kim back in the day as well, but these two are on another level.

by Anonymousreply 391June 10, 2022 3:22 PM

R390, you're correct. The crew members call the officers, "Sir," a relic of a male-dominated military.

by Anonymousreply 392June 11, 2022 1:39 AM

Ethan Peck is hot AF. God, how I want that ass.

by Anonymousreply 393June 11, 2022 2:45 AM

The writers of episode 6, "Lift Us Where Suffering Cannot Reach," seems like they might have had Ursula K. LeGuin's short story, "The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas" (about a hypothetical civilization whose prosperity is predicated on the suffering of a child) on their minds.

Or it may just be a re-telling of 'Spock's Brain.' ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 394June 11, 2022 3:02 AM

Another good episode

by Anonymousreply 395June 11, 2022 3:28 AM

No one comments on Anson's body, just his "Johnny Bravo" hair? Am I still on DL?

(Wait, that WOULD be DL! Nevermind.)

by Anonymousreply 396June 11, 2022 11:57 AM

His bod's always been nice, what's there to comment?

Unless you meant that he looks fat or something...

by Anonymousreply 397June 11, 2022 12:01 PM

Very solid episode, with uncertain futures and open endings. I admit this is the first ST series that I like since TNG.

by Anonymousreply 398June 11, 2022 1:23 PM

Captain Pike got some pussy!

by Anonymousreply 399June 11, 2022 6:02 PM

Is it just me or was the child actor who played the boy really good? He didn't do the typical cutesy stuff that child actors usually do. Might be worth to hang on to the director.

The story, well, it was by the book, I guess. But the visuals were just stunning.

by Anonymousreply 400June 11, 2022 10:02 PM

Yeah, the boy was really good and directed well. The cutesy stuff (and issues like overenunciation) usually is a result of pushy parents who make the kids overrehearse their material at home, which I suspect is exactly what happened with the Leia actress in the Kenobi show. Her parents got a whiff of that Disney money and got too eager. Meanwhile, this Canadian boy was just happy to be there.

r399 I love how cranky he was when they called him up to the bridge for Uhura's briefing, he just wanted to enjoy that puss some more.

by Anonymousreply 401June 11, 2022 10:09 PM

I laughed out loud at the facial expressions of the entire bridge crew when the ship in the tractor beam blew up and they thought the little brat was killed. They all looked like "oh shit! We really fucked up this time!"

by Anonymousreply 402June 11, 2022 10:14 PM

This show is fantastic. I really feel like I'm watching Star Trek again.

However I'm disappointed we are not any getting storylines with Kirk's flirty mustachioed brother. Turn's out he's essentially just an extra. He *almost* had a scene with Uhura in this episode before getting interrupted by the dreary security chief. Why is that grumpy boring chick getting all the dialogue in this show? I yelled at my screen when she cock-blocked Kirk.

Hopefully they will at least let Sam Kirk fuck the cranky transporter-twink before they kill-him-off on an away mission.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 403June 12, 2022 12:02 AM

Loved his brief appearance in the latest episode, he always looks so naughty to me with that cute lil' stache.

The actor is Dan Jeannotte, who I doubt took the job to be a glorified extra. We'll get an arc with him eventually, I'm sure.

by Anonymousreply 404June 12, 2022 12:08 AM

[quote]Hopefully they will at least let Sam Kirk fuck the cranky transporter-twink before they kill-him-off on an away mission.

They won't kill him off. We already know he dies in "Operation: Annihilate!"

by Anonymousreply 405June 12, 2022 12:13 AM

I can't believe they totally ripped off Ursula K. Le Guin's "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas" like that, and not even an easter-egg or a nod to it. Jesus.

And I can't believe only one other person in this thread even noticed or cared.

by Anonymousreply 406June 14, 2022 4:25 AM

r406 not everyone is familiar with that. It's not extremely well-known.

by Anonymousreply 407June 14, 2022 4:31 AM

Hey R406? I noticed, because I’m into that stuff. And I think the episode itself was the “nod”. It’s not like Ursula is some widely-known science fiction base material. What did you want, some character actually named Ursula?

by Anonymousreply 408June 14, 2022 4:51 AM

[quote]What did you want, some character actually named Ursula?

That would have come across as cheap and embarrassing.

Like when I was 15 and saw Demolition Man and Sandra Bullock's character was named Lenina Huxley.

I remember doing a heavy eyeroll in the theater.

by Anonymousreply 409June 14, 2022 8:53 AM

[quote]My only concern is that the show cannot run for too long, there is a point where it has to end. Pike took command of the Enterprise in 2250, Kirk takes command in 2265. Enterprise's first appearance on DISCO was established as 2258.

For starters, I'd note that TV shows don't have to *literally* follow timelines in such a fashion. "M*A*S*H" famously lasted 11 years, while the Korean War it depicted was over in three. Also, and more directly, Pike mentioned to #1 in one ep that he saw his future "12 years ahead," which gives SNW ample time for *two* five-year missions.

[quote]I don't want to sound overly critical because I really enjoy the show. But at this point they just re-doing original TOS plots in very contemporary manners.

I'm dating myself here, but I still remember Trekkers getting pissy when TNG did the same thing back in the '80s. In reality, there aren't many truly original ideas left, and expecting them on a show that is LITERALLY nothing more than a nostalgia-fest – albeit one of the few truly enjoyable, well-put-together ones – is a bit much. (Also, SNW is in large part for all the pissy Trek fans who despised "Discovery" and ripped it to shreds for daring to be in any way different. "OMFG they have technology that doesn't look like it existed on a Hollywood soundstage in 1967! They've RUINED TREK FOREVER!!!" In turn, I'd say you should watch "Discovery" if you want to see a show that's about as original as it gets nowadays.)

Also, you're bothered by SNW, but the most recent season of "Picard" – a BLINDINGLY obvious mashup of "The Voyage Home," "First Contact" and the most popular female character in Trek's entire history, featuring Q, Guinan *and* Adam Soong – wasn't a problem? Really?

by Anonymousreply 410June 16, 2022 1:17 AM

[quote]OMFG they have technology that doesn't look like it existed on a Hollywood soundstage in 1967!

This is a big pet peeve of mine. The hardcore fans REALLY have to get over this. Star Trek is, after all, entertainment. You have to view it as such. As filmmaking tech has improved so has Star Trek.

Most people love it, but of course there is always a vocal minority who just can't let go of the past.

by Anonymousreply 411June 16, 2022 1:21 AM

R411 I get it and I have accepted it. But, I don't understand why the studio/creatives insist on continuing to set shows in that time period. It is almost like they hate their older/long-term fans. It is a science fiction show, there are a lot of other time periods that Trek has not explored. So why not set your show there, and not be set in a time period where you are going to be compared to a classic show? I would've been happy if tv Trek had just left the TOS time period alone. They didn't, so I enjoy SNW as the best we are going to get out of them.

by Anonymousreply 412June 16, 2022 1:27 AM

Personally, I like SNW a lot so far and don't mind that it's in the TOS time period but I agree that the TOS era should probably be left alone after this. I would like to see a new Star Trek series set in the "current" timeline i.e. the Picard timeline.

by Anonymousreply 413June 16, 2022 1:34 AM

[quote]But, I don't understand why the studio/creatives insist on continuing to set shows in that time period. It is almost like they hate their older/long-term fans.

Seriously R412, WTAF? They have ONE show in that time period, and the remainder of the Trek time line – in this case not counting Discovery's leap 900 years into the future – covers a full 250 years. The beginning of "Enterprise" (meaning the Scott Bakula show) was around 2150. On "Picard" they explicitly stated that it was the year 2400.

Further, the producers are actually doing the exact *opposite* of what you suggest! Why the hell do you think nearly every element of TOS that won't look wholly dated in a contemporary context – everything from the Enterprise itself to Starfleet uniforms (colors, shapes, insignias, etc.) and technological limits, e.g. transporters that are difficult to use – is there at all? To appeal to nostalgics.

[quote]I would like to see a new Star Trek series set in the "current" timeline i.e. the Picard timeline.

Is that an actual thing? No, seriously! Trek fans have been bitching about the Kelvin timeline for 14 years now, but judging from the end of "Picard" S2 they just eliminated the Borg entirely, or at least how they existed on TNG, DS9 & VOY. I was assuming everything currently being produced is in the Prime timeline, admittedly with a few retcons like Pike ending up on the Discovery for a spell, Spock gaining an adoptive sister, and having to explain away a ship invented in the 23rd century that can travel instantly to any point in the known universe.

by Anonymousreply 414June 16, 2022 1:47 AM

I think you can chill a little bit. You're all riled up about pretty benign statements from people who seem to appreciate a good Trek show just like you.

by Anonymousreply 415June 16, 2022 2:37 AM

R414 Trek used to make a point, as they did on DS9, of styling things in that time period as being exactly as how we saw it on TOS. They even acknowledged that TOS Klingons really did look different and didn't have ridges, which they further provided a reason for in Enterprise. Yes, everyone knows TOS looked the way it did because NBC and Desilu weren't spending a million an episode, but it is what built this entire franchise. I guess many longtime fans just want that honored not destroyed. And, it is a fucking shame the franchise seems to have completely abandoned William Shatner, who is still alive and active.

by Anonymousreply 416June 16, 2022 2:43 AM

Nobody wants to work with Shatner.

by Anonymousreply 417June 16, 2022 2:57 AM

Finally, Sybok gets acknowledged outside Trek V. I'm surprisingly pleased by this.

by Anonymousreply 418June 16, 2022 5:30 PM

I'm not familiar with Sybok and thought that the Trekkies of Reddit would bitch about old characters being recycled. But no, they all seem excited and apparently it was a huge secret that the production somehow managed to keep under the wraps until the episode aired.

I love bridge takeover scenes, so this episode was a treat.

by Anonymousreply 419June 16, 2022 5:53 PM

I can't say it enough - I want Ethan Peck's ass on my face.

by Anonymousreply 420June 16, 2022 6:34 PM

[quote]Finally, Sybok gets acknowledged outside Trek V. I'm surprisingly pleased by this.

Like a fool, I was actually surprised by the reveal. I didn't hate it, but it was clearly a setup for a future episode.

I also wouldn't mind seeing the actor from Disco who played Sarek return. He's very different from Mark Leonard, but I didn't hate his interpretation of the character.

by Anonymousreply 421June 16, 2022 7:16 PM

Another fun episode. Pirates! Peck’s ass! Fun for boy and boy!

by Anonymousreply 422June 16, 2022 10:55 PM

Captain Angel is also on the new Queer as Folk. She's trans, so I guess we all need to hate the episode now.

by Anonymousreply 423June 17, 2022 12:11 AM

I really liked - them? - in the first half of the episode, but then they turned into such a stupid, card-board, mustache-twirling villain. That was pretty lame writing.

by Anonymousreply 424June 17, 2022 12:20 AM

[quote]R418: Finally, Sybok gets acknowledged outside Trek V. I'm surprisingly pleased by this.

I too am surprised that you're pleased.

by Anonymousreply 425June 17, 2022 12:22 AM

Angel kept on referring to Sybok(?) as them...or was that somebody else?

by Anonymousreply 426June 17, 2022 1:15 AM

As Captain Angel, Jesse James Keitel was giving me Famke Janssen's Ava from "Nip/Tuck" in space.

by Anonymousreply 427June 17, 2022 1:53 AM

She did say Spock is cute, which we can all agree with.

by Anonymousreply 428June 17, 2022 6:34 AM

I hope they explore the relationship between Sybok and his adopted sister, Michael Burnham, said no one ever.

by Anonymousreply 429June 17, 2022 11:23 PM

Have they already announced who is going to play Sybok? I hope it's not Ethan Peck.

by Anonymousreply 430June 18, 2022 11:31 AM

R429, probably not since Sybock is an outcast from the House of Sarek. They may make references to Michael Burnham but probably nothing more than that.

by Anonymousreply 431June 18, 2022 1:50 PM

Does Ethan Peck have big feet?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 432June 18, 2022 5:46 PM

The feet look in proportion to his six foot frame. Great legs in that photo.

by Anonymousreply 433June 18, 2022 8:13 PM

R432, disappointing to see the cigar.

by Anonymousreply 434June 18, 2022 8:21 PM

Why, R434?

by Anonymousreply 435June 18, 2022 8:25 PM

Because smoking is nasty and it eventually kills.

Smoking cigars has long been a way of making a statement, a sort of 'fuck you' to people around them. As such, it has become a form of signaling on the right, a way of 'owning the libs.'

I hope that's not the sense in which he's using it.

by Anonymousreply 436June 18, 2022 8:37 PM

Peck's hairy legs are sublime!

by Anonymousreply 437June 18, 2022 10:16 PM

Less so, R437, if his pores reek of nicotine.

by Anonymousreply 438June 18, 2022 10:30 PM

I like the cigar. Very masculine.

by Anonymousreply 439June 19, 2022 12:41 AM

If the remaining episodes maintain the quality of the ones that have already aired, then this is the strongest first season of a "Star Trek" show ever. I'm shocked at how good it has been so far.

by Anonymousreply 440June 19, 2022 2:32 AM

[quote]If the remaining episodes maintain the quality of the ones that have already aired, then this is the strongest first season of a "Star Trek" show ever.

Yeah, most people forget how bad first season of TNG, DS9, and VOY were.

However, Lower Decks had the best first season by far.

by Anonymousreply 441June 19, 2022 1:19 PM

I thought DS9 had a far better first season than TNG, VOY, ENT, and DISCO

by Anonymousreply 442June 19, 2022 2:40 PM

There are some real stinkers in DS9 S1 ("Move Along Home"), but it also has the series' first truly great episode, "Duet," which is not something the other series can claim.

by Anonymousreply 443June 19, 2022 3:05 PM

Exactly r443, and even today “Duet” is considered one of the best ST episodes ever.

by Anonymousreply 444June 19, 2022 3:46 PM

The last two episodes of SNW were actually not that great. Captain Angel was too over the top by the end and the plots were too off-the shelf. But the good thing with SNW is: If you mess up one episode, you don't ruin the season. Every episode is a fresh start from a blank sheet.

by Anonymousreply 445June 19, 2022 3:57 PM

SNW actually hasn't been that spectacular, it's merely that we're all feeling the relief you feel when you stop pounding your head against a wall (Picard & Disco).

by Anonymousreply 446June 19, 2022 6:47 PM

I'm still waiting for them to somehow shoehorn Burnham into this show. Eventually the Enterprise is bound to encounter a problem that only she can solve, right?

by Anonymousreply 447June 19, 2022 7:40 PM

r447, please don’t bring her up.

by Anonymousreply 448June 19, 2022 7:47 PM

They actually already did R447 . One of the earlier episodes had Spock discussing his family with either Uhura or T'Pring and he made an offhand remark about his "adopted sister". What was strange was it really did seem shoehorned in; the plot was resolved, the conversation didn't actually serve any purpose. It seemed as if someone thought, "Oh shit! We haven't had Spock make a reference to She Who Shall Save Us All!" So they wrote this little insert scene to fill that requirement. Honestly, the scene could be edited out, and you would miss nothing.

by Anonymousreply 449June 19, 2022 7:56 PM

R447 She's stuck in the 32nd century though

by Anonymousreply 450June 19, 2022 9:49 PM

[quote]Captain Angel is also on the new Queer as Folk. She's trans, so I guess we all need to hate the episode now.

I was curious if any of you bitches other than myself caught this. I actually did a double-take, having just started the QAF reboot right before watching the last SNW. Glad to see no one's made a ridiculous comment about "gay erasure" as a result.

[quote]Smoking cigars has long been a way of making a statement, a sort of 'fuck you' to people around them. As such, it has become a form of signaling on the right, a way of 'owning the libs.'

Or maybe he simply ... likes the occasional cigar? Sometimes a cigar *is* only a cigar.

[quote]I thought DS9 had a far better first season than TNG, VOY, ENT, and DISCO

DS9 is the only one of these shows I haven't watched, but considering the other four shows' first seasons ranged from "meh" to "WTF?!?" in terms of storytelling / acting / production, I believe you. While unlike most of DL (and Trek circles generally) I actually like "Discovery," it had the biggest dumpster fire of a first – and arguably second – season of ANY show in recent memory. How tf the writers thought the audience would somehow "be cool" with Burnham killing Philippa in the first episode is behind me, though their subsequent introduction of Bad Philippa from the mirror universe was fun.

I do, however, take issue with them doing one of the few no-nos on episodic TV: bringing back a character from the dead (Hugh) solely because of a change in writers/producers to include many more queer voices. (To be fair, they initially killed him off in a shockingly cruel fashion, but OTOH they'd already done that with Philippa.) And the show definitely got its sea legs by S3, to such an extent that I'd argue its stories are quite a bit more innovative than any Trek show to date – except, of course, geezers in general (and our eldergay contingent specifically) *hate* change, and certainly when it involves a proud Black woman taking over control of both the ship & series. Kinda like this asshole:

[quote]I'm still waiting for them to somehow shoehorn Burnham into this show. Eventually the Enterprise is bound to encounter a problem that only she can solve, right?

No need to worry your bigoted little soul, dear. You and your fellow trolls succeeded in driving the entire "Discovery" crew 900 years into the future – and all records of its existence erased from Starfleet archives – because you overreacted over ridiculous bullshit like the ship having holographic projections of persons talking remotely with the ship's crew. And oh no, it has no white people except for queer characters! And never mind the presence of a happy gay male couple on the show: the fact that they dared to introduce not one but TWO nonbinary characters means they're surely plotting GAY ERASURE!!!

Oh, the humanity!

by Anonymousreply 451June 22, 2022 4:33 PM

Oh please, R451. I don't care that Burnham is black, I care that she's the Mary-est Sue that ever Sue-d.

by Anonymousreply 452June 22, 2022 4:53 PM

Burnham would always set her speeches to kill rather than stun.

The poor audience would die a little more after each one of her turgid hallmark speeches to save the day from some cosmic catastrophe in every episode..

by Anonymousreply 453June 23, 2022 6:45 AM

Well, I guess there had to be a stinker episode.

by Anonymousreply 454June 23, 2022 4:21 PM

I'm 20 minutes in this episode. WTF is this? I cannot finish this.

by Anonymousreply 455June 24, 2022 12:15 AM

I was expecting it to be as bad as DS9's "If Wishes Were Horses," but honestly, I really liked it. Great episode for both M'Benga and Hemmer.

by Anonymousreply 456June 24, 2022 2:08 AM

I guess the answer to any unsolvable physical ailment is to live out your life with a benevolent alien. Will also be convenient for PIke in about 15 years.

by Anonymousreply 457June 24, 2022 4:43 AM

Stinker of the season.

It all just felt flat. The pantomime elements were played half hearted and nothing really worked or was particularly funny.

The Dr is also not a good character to lead a story. His whispers all his line and half the time sounds like he's had a tracheotomy.

Voyager did it much better with stuff like their Captain Proton episode.

by Anonymousreply 458June 24, 2022 5:33 AM

I can't understand a fucking word the doctor says.

I want Ethan Peck's ass on my face, I can't stress this enough.

by Anonymousreply 459June 24, 2022 5:57 AM

No doubt so he can shit in your mouth, R459.

by Anonymousreply 460June 24, 2022 6:16 AM

r460 shitting in my mouth wouldn't make me understand him any better. You poor abused nutcase.

by Anonymousreply 461June 24, 2022 6:22 AM

Does anybody die in Star Trek really? Even if a major character died, the viewer probably only wonders how they are brought back. They have brought back too many major characters by now. Death has hardly any dramatic impact anymore. I was about to say that only Jadzia Dax seems to stay really dead, but even Dax was brought back.

by Anonymousreply 462June 24, 2022 12:06 PM

r462, death is only for red shirts...

by Anonymousreply 463June 24, 2022 12:07 PM

[quote]I guess the answer to any unsolvable physical ailment is to live out your life with a benevolent alien. Will also be convenient for PIke in about 15 years.

LOL - we know how Pike solves the problem in 15 years.

by Anonymousreply 464June 24, 2022 12:43 PM

So, Ortegas is seriously injured on the bridge, and in the time it took the Doctor to ride the turbolift,, she not only is she suddenly healed, but everyone is transformed. So, it wasn't just a mass hallucination, the entity could manipulate matter.

Then, when Number one kills the two red shirts with arrows, I assume they really died. What eventually happened to them?

by Anonymousreply 465June 24, 2022 2:44 PM

[quote]So, Ortegas is seriously injured on the bridge, and in the time it took the Doctor to ride the turbolift,, she not only is she suddenly healed, but everyone is transformed. So, it wasn't just a mass hallucination, the entity could manipulate matter.

Well, it's not like there's never been precedent for that before. TOS 'Day of the Dove,' anyone?

by Anonymousreply 466June 24, 2022 2:50 PM

Well, the cast sure seemed to be having fun with that episode.

by Anonymousreply 467June 24, 2022 3:15 PM

^ They are young and need the money. They won't dare phoning it in in their first season.

by Anonymousreply 468June 24, 2022 3:58 PM

This was far too early in the run of the series to be doing a spoof, it would fit far better in a sesaon 3 or 4, after all of the characters and relationships are well established.

by Anonymousreply 469June 24, 2022 6:50 PM

R465 Watch again. The two red shirts were shot in the shoulder. Not fatal.

by Anonymousreply 470June 24, 2022 11:34 PM

At least we know La'an can do something besides scowl.

by Anonymousreply 471June 25, 2022 12:12 AM

My thoughts exactly, R469.

by Anonymousreply 472June 25, 2022 10:57 AM

I disagree with all of you.

I'm normally not a fan of "holodeck" type episodes. But this one was engaging, with a VERY emotional gut-punch at the end, and it was a superb resolution to the story of the doctor's daughter. Probably no better ending than that one.

I'm really not sure why all of you are bitching, complaining, whining, and moaning about it. It was classic Star Trek at its best.

by Anonymousreply 473June 25, 2022 6:31 PM

Hey! I'll admit to bitching, complaining and whining, but there's been no moaning.

by Anonymousreply 474June 25, 2022 6:51 PM

Good for you, r473. Glad you liked it. How was the daughter's story resolved?

by Anonymousreply 475June 25, 2022 7:21 PM

The doctor let a manipulative psychic being take his daughter and just accepted the word of this being he just met that his daughter’s consciousness is alive and well as a separate entity. He’s trusting, especially after we just saw an episode where a child being tortured by others was seen as the norm.

by Anonymousreply 476June 25, 2022 8:41 PM

I'm with r473, it was a cute episode. I'm glad the daughter's arc wasn't stretched over several seasons, I can only handle kid actors so much these days.

I do wish they leaned even more into camp, as with Voyager's Captain Proton episode that someone already mentioned. Mount understood the assignment, Chong too, the others not so much.

by Anonymousreply 477June 26, 2022 12:30 AM

The fairytale element should play like an over the top pantomime.

Unfortunately most of the actors stood around like they were in a Checkov play.

It all fell completely flat.

by Anonymousreply 478June 26, 2022 12:46 AM

To add, the direction plays part in the blame to.

It was shot in a static by the numbers mode like most serious episodes are.

It needed a bit of Baz Luhmann type weirdness with the camera to carry it off.

Everything in it was just half hearted.

by Anonymousreply 479June 26, 2022 12:52 AM

Camerawork for sure needed way more playfulness and whimsy. It was so sleepy, like a holodeck murder mystery with Sherlock Holmes. And yeah, the doctor *was* solving a mystery, I get it, but it didn't gel well with the performances or the silly overall tone.

However, looking at the director's credits (and age), she doesn't seem anywhere near experienced enough to be able to pull off something like that.

by Anonymousreply 480June 26, 2022 1:03 AM

Farscape new how to play with the camera and get the actors to do crazy stuff for their weird episodes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 481June 26, 2022 1:18 AM

I throughly enjoyed the last episode. Performance wise, everyone was on their game, especially Anson Mount as the coward. He was hilarious! I thought the ending was the most touching one yet. Yes, I still want to kiss Ethan Peck's delicious looking lips and eat his ass.

by Anonymousreply 482June 26, 2022 7:54 PM

A son Mount’s performance was cringeworthy.

by Anonymousreply 483June 27, 2022 10:40 AM

^^Anson

by Anonymousreply 484June 27, 2022 10:41 AM

[quote]Does anybody die in Star Trek really?

Seriously? The ONE AND ONLY character who DEFINITELY dies in every known scenario – including the Kelvin timeline – is Pike!

[quote]Yes, I still want to kiss Ethan Peck's delicious looking lips and eat his ass.

I've been impressed that the producers have concocted various ways for Spock to not be so ... Spock in various episodes. This time a scruffy-hot fairy tale dude; a "Freaky Friday"-style personality switch with his gf; and TWO different shirtless scenes!

[quote]I'm normally not a fan of "holodeck" type episodes. But this one was engaging, with a VERY emotional gut-punch at the end, and it was a superb resolution to the story of the doctor's daughter.

Agreed 100%.

[quote]I'm really not sure why all of you are bitching, complaining, whining, and moaning about it.

You must be new here.

by Anonymousreply 485June 29, 2022 7:23 PM

[quote]Seriously? The ONE AND ONLY character who DEFINITELY dies in every known scenario – including the Kelvin timeline – is Pike!

Pike doesn't die in the Prime timeline. He goes to the Talosians and they give him the illusion of a healthy body.

by Anonymousreply 486June 29, 2022 8:15 PM

R485 has evidently never watched the original series.

by Anonymousreply 487June 29, 2022 8:18 PM

r486, knowing how Spock comes through for Pike during TOS makes watching their relationship in SNW that much more special.

by Anonymousreply 488June 29, 2022 8:29 PM

[quote][R486], knowing how Spock comes through for Pike during TOS makes watching their relationship in SNW that much more special.

I'd argue that if SNW does not leave the audience with a full understanding of Spock's willingness to give up everything, the show is a failure. Spock was willing to sacrifice his entire career and accept death to get Pike to Talos IV.

"Starfleet General Order 7 prohibits any contact with the planet Talos IV on penalty of execution, and this is apparently the only death penalty in Starfleet."

by Anonymousreply 489June 29, 2022 8:44 PM

That Talos death penalty always bothered me. So if Spock hadn't received a reprieve from Starfleet, they would have executed all 200+ of the Enterprise crew?

by Anonymousreply 490June 29, 2022 11:01 PM

I never liked that death penalty either, it was so over the top. But whatever, the writers at the time tried their best to convey just how dangerous that planet was for the Federation. And seeing how they were American writers, the death penalty seemed like a no-brainer.

by Anonymousreply 491June 29, 2022 11:09 PM

So, in the federation, one can commit mass murder and not receive the death penalty, but visiting one planet will result in getting the death penalty?

by Anonymousreply 492June 30, 2022 1:17 AM

Visiting that planet might result in mass telepathic enslavement and eventual destruction of the entire Federation, though. I could see why they'd use capital punishment as the ultimate warning.

by Anonymousreply 493June 30, 2022 1:30 AM

That makes sense now, R493.

by Anonymousreply 494June 30, 2022 2:12 AM

R493, that is not quite the explanation offered within the episodes.

From 'The Cage' and 'Menagerie, Part II':

𝐏𝐢𝐤𝐞: And that's it? No apologies? You captured one of us, threatened all of us.

𝐓𝐚𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐢𝐚𝐧: Your unsuitability has condemned the Talosian race to eventual death. Is this not sufficient?

𝐌𝐚𝐠𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐞: No other specimen has shown your adaptability. You were our last hope.

𝐏𝐢𝐤𝐞: But wouldn't some form of trade, mutual co-operation?

𝐌𝐚𝐠𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐞: Your race would learn our power of illusion and destroy itself too.

by Anonymousreply 495June 30, 2022 3:35 AM

Aw, man. I was quite attached to that character. :(

by Anonymousreply 496June 30, 2022 8:16 AM

Kill off the one who needs the most time in makeup seems to be the new ‘red shirt’. In Discovery it was Airium. Although, I did notice in the funeral scene that there was one red, one blue, and one gold shirt who died.

Progress!!!

by Anonymousreply 497June 30, 2022 8:27 AM

Since they can't detect the eggs, how do they know Newt's not implanted?

by Anonymousreply 498June 30, 2022 11:02 AM

Such a great episode and insanely well-directed. Alien vibes all-around with some Predator touches in there as well.

I've been wanting an Aenar Starfleet officer so bad since the first time I saw their species on ENT, and they kill him off. La'an finally grew on me in this episode, and she's off as well. Sucks, but I'll live.

My favourite part was Pike and Spock doing the dishes, like a cute gay couple hosting a dinner party. That entire scene was so familial and warm.

Why was Pike fine with Sam shouting at Spock like that? Was it just a throwback to TOS where they were yelling at each other constantly?

by Anonymousreply 499June 30, 2022 2:19 PM

what episode are they up to? How many episodes for season 1?

by Anonymousreply 500June 30, 2022 2:29 PM

10 episodes

by Anonymousreply 501June 30, 2022 2:33 PM

r500 Next week is the season finale, then we get Star Trek: Lower Decks before the end of the summer as well.

by Anonymousreply 502June 30, 2022 2:36 PM

Thank you. I'm a binger.

by Anonymousreply 503June 30, 2022 2:42 PM

[quote] Kill off the one who needs the most time in makeup seems to be the new ‘red shirt’

According to Bruce Horak, he knew from the moment he was cast that this was Hemmer’s arc. It’s a shame, but I appreciate the show having stakes, when we already have Pike and Spock with Plot Armor.

by Anonymousreply 504July 1, 2022 2:38 AM

That was another excellent episode! Very intense and very sad. They just showed the TOS episode “Arena” that featured the first appearance by a Gorn. That mother fucker was slow as shit. LOL!

by Anonymousreply 505July 1, 2022 2:56 AM

I half expected the little Gorns to go Bright light...Bright light!!!

They reminded me of nasty little Gremilns.

by Anonymousreply 506July 1, 2022 4:17 AM

It's hard for me to accept that a species that reproduces like that and behaves in that way can grow up to be a star faring civilization.

by Anonymousreply 507July 1, 2022 5:31 AM

I love what they're doing with my all time favorite ST character Uhura. That last shot was everything with her looking at the Communications console like 'that's my shit'.

by Anonymousreply 508July 1, 2022 2:41 PM

"It's hard for me to accept that a species that reproduces like that and behaves in that way can grow up to be a star faring civilization."

My big question would be - before they became a space faring species - how the hell did they reproduce without any skin bags from other species.

by Anonymousreply 509July 1, 2022 2:53 PM

I'm a little disappointed that they Star Trek made the Gorn into a Alien ripoff. Plus, the Gorn that was in the original Trek must've been old as shit considering the way he moved.

by Anonymousreply 510July 1, 2022 3:59 PM

The Gorn in their current depiction remind me more of Species 8472 than the original Gorns. All Trek shows (all sci-fi really) seems to like to have one enemy who doesn't communicate and is just Super Dangerous and Pure Evil™.

[quote] before they became a space faring species - how the hell did they reproduce without any skin bags from other species.

Their home planet is probably inhabited by other species who host this type of symbiosis.

by Anonymousreply 511July 1, 2022 4:34 PM

[quote]Their home planet is probably inhabited by other species who host this type of symbiosis.

Probably more like prey than hosts. They probably simply implanted their offspring in some, rather than eating them outright.

by Anonymousreply 512July 1, 2022 5:53 PM

[quote]Plus, the Gorn that was in the original Trek must've been old as shit considering the way he moved.

Old and/or he spawned from a Pakled or some other species that's a bit "speshul".

by Anonymousreply 513July 1, 2022 6:15 PM

Perhaps the Gorn we saw are just the weaponised grunts that are part of a larger Gorn species that have a higher inteligence enough to build starships etc.

by Anonymousreply 514July 2, 2022 2:59 AM

[quote]According to Bruce Horak, he knew from the moment he was cast that this was Hemmer’s arc. It’s a shame, but I appreciate the show having stakes, when we already have Pike and Spock with Plot Armor.

Also, I thought it was interesting that La'an Noonien Singh is leaving the ship.

There are some pluses and minuses to a less stable cast that changes lineup each season with a core recurring cast.

by Anonymousreply 515July 2, 2022 12:41 PM

I saw my imaginary husband is on this show, Dan Jeanotte. I've had a crush on him since the Good Witch. I may have to check it out now.

by Anonymousreply 516July 2, 2022 12:46 PM

La'an is in the second season, so her departure won't last long.

r516 He looks the hottest he's ever looked on this show, with that porn stache of his. I hate that he's straight.

by Anonymousreply 517July 2, 2022 1:44 PM

Dan Jeanotte looks way better without the SNW porn stache.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 518July 2, 2022 2:15 PM

I disagree, he just looks like a Canadian Extra No.5 without the stache. It's the stache that makes him stand out and gives him that naughty look, which makes me think of all the crazy shit he might do to me in the bedroom.

Alternatively, I'd like to see him with a full beard. That stubble in r518's pic just looks sloppy and unappealing to me.

by Anonymousreply 519July 2, 2022 2:34 PM

[quote] La'an is in the second season

It makes sense that she is not leaving for good. The character still has a journey ahead. She still needs to lose the trauma she got from the Gorns, and there is still the untold story of her relative. I hope she loosens up a bit. I get it, she is a bruised character. But, man, she is so not fun to be with.

by Anonymousreply 520July 2, 2022 2:38 PM

With a beard for you, R519.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 521July 2, 2022 2:38 PM

Still not enough, can he not grow out a bushy one? Disappointing.

Also, that breeder pic just about killed any thirst I had left for him, yikes. Guys whose fatherhood becomes their entire identity need to be slapped viciously. Putting all my hopes into the Paul Wesley basket now.

by Anonymousreply 522July 2, 2022 2:45 PM

[quote] Guys whose fatherhood becomes their entire identity

And you got that from one single picture?

by Anonymousreply 523July 2, 2022 4:07 PM

R521 ugh, he's so hot 🥵 he seems like a real sweetheart, too.

by Anonymousreply 524July 2, 2022 9:11 PM

r524, that's how I feel about Ethan Peck (Spock). He's hot as hell, unattached, no kids, and in interviews appears to be very nice and down to earth.

by Anonymousreply 525July 2, 2022 9:39 PM

(Doodling in my notebook)

Mrs. Ethan Peck MRS. Ethan Peck MRS. ETHAN PECK MRS. ETHAN PECK 🍑🫦💋

by Anonymousreply 526July 2, 2022 11:27 PM

Dang, they finished filming Season 2 yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 527July 3, 2022 1:54 AM

Episode 9 was pretty amazing. Loved the "Alien" and "Predator" homages. The Gorn are shaping up to be a great villain. I was genuinely sad to see Hemmer go.

Did Chapel say "fuck"? Sure sounded like it.

by Anonymousreply 528July 3, 2022 11:31 PM

[quote]My big question would be - before they became a space faring species - how the hell did they reproduce without any skin bags from other species.

How the hell did human beings evolve from microscopic, water-borne, non-sentient beings? The universe is a magical place.

[quote]La'an finally grew on me in this episode, and she's off as well. Sucks, but I'll live.

I've read quite a few synopses since last week's ep, and not one of them suggests La'an is leaving for an extended period of time (and certainly not leaving the show entirely). If they're following the "Discovery" playbook, however, they might be doing something similar to what occurred to Tilly: she left the ship, but did so to lead the still-in-development "Starfleet Academy" spinoff. (It's admittedly a bit soon for SNW to be spinning anything off, however, so I suspect La'an's absence from the finale is either plot-related – e.g. the Enterprise is fucked until she returns at the last minute to save the day – or had something to do with a schedule conflict on the actress's part. (Production on nearly everything is a crapshoot nowadays, so if S1 ran weeks past its allotted time, she may have been contractually obligated to appear elsewhere. Or it's entirely possible she got Covid and they were forced to write her out of the finale with a hastily tacked-on scene in the penultimate episode.)

[quote]They just showed the TOS episode “Arena” that featured the first appearance by a Gorn. That mother fucker was slow as shit. LOL!

I honestly don't get why you bitches keep trying to compare SNW's goings-on to a low-budget sci-fi show from over half a century ago. I don't recall this particular TOS episode off-hand, but I'll hazard a guess the Gorn was slow as shit because it was some sort of muppet or marionette-style creature, or they had to use old-school animation-style stop-action filming on a frame by frame basis. No, it doesn't track precisely with established canon. Yes, the show's characters from TOS have been subtly changed: Nurse Chapel is a bisexual flirt, Ohura's more realistically Kenyan (and a realistic age for an ensign), and Spock has a lot more muscle & a lot less chest hair. No, not every fucking thing in the Trek universe *needs* to be canon.

by Anonymousreply 529July 5, 2022 7:36 PM

[quote]They just showed the TOS episode “Arena” that featured the first appearance by a Gorn. That mother fucker was slow as shit. LOL!

r529, I was actually making a joke but whether you like it or not, fairly or unfairly, people will make comparisons between SNW and TOS. Get the stick out of your ass, cheer the fuck up, and just roll with it.

by Anonymousreply 530July 5, 2022 7:42 PM

[quote]Guys whose fatherhood becomes their entire identity need to be slapped viciously.

He posted a single tweet about it on Father's Day. Your Daddy Issues are likely vastly more complex than that.

[quote]tR524, hat's how I feel about Ethan Peck (Spock). He's hot as hell, unattached, no kids, and in interviews appears to be very nice and down to earth.

Agreed, despite him being a nepo baby (grandpa was Gregory Peck). Who's his bf?

by Anonymousreply 531July 5, 2022 8:07 PM

R531 I know if there is one day you can revel in being a father, surely it is Father’s Day.

by Anonymousreply 532July 5, 2022 9:50 PM

[quote]I honestly don't get why you bitches keep trying to compare SNW's goings-on to a low-budget sci-fi show from over half a century ago.

The reason why people get so bent out of shape when they ignore "canon" is that science fiction requires a much greater suspension of disbelief. Therefore, the internal rules for how a science fiction world operates has to be consistent. The details and "history" of both the technology and the people populating that world have to retain some semblance of order or the whole thing simply falls apart.

Only a fool would claim that ToS is fully consistent or that the subsequent series don't also play fast and loose with some elements of the established canon. However, when it's one thing after another, episode after episode, week after week, it simply becomes more obvious. A show like Disco passed the tipping point such that it's now simply bad fanfic or slash fiction that plays loosely in the Star Trek sandbox.

by Anonymousreply 533July 5, 2022 9:51 PM

Very well said r533! I hated that first season of Disco because I got the sense that the showrunners was giving a big fuck you to the fans who made Star Trek what it is and made it possible to have something like Disco. They didn't explain the Kelvin universe like highly advanced ship technology or Klingon look until the second season. Disco would've been a far better show if it had started like it did in the 3rd season in the 30th century. Also, before Disco, we had the ensemble like cast of 4 ST shows (TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT) and with Disco we get basically The Michael Burnham Show. I would not be disappointed if Disco's next season is their last.

Part of me understands that the tech and settings in SNW can't look exactly like TOS but it's still a tad jarring to see an Enterprise bridge and hallways that is far more roomier than what we see in TOS.

by Anonymousreply 534July 5, 2022 10:16 PM

[quote]Part of me understands that the tech and settings in SNW can't look exactly like TOS but it's still a tad jarring to see an Enterprise bridge and hallways that is far more roomier than what we see in TOS.

I actually do not have a problem with updated special effects and set design reflecting both bigger budgets and a much more realistic sense of what future technology would look like - it has been 50 years.

What I do have a problem with is upgraded in-world technology. Having more advanced tech in Disco or SNW than was in VOY doesn't make sense. Of course, we have a better sense of the capabilities of a computer today than they could ever have had back then, so there is going to be, of necessity, some improvements. But, stuff like the spore drive doesn't make any sense. Why wouldn't the Federation continue to develop and refine such important technology. Having more sophisticated hologram technology than they did in TNG doesn't make sense. Better communication, as that periodically played a role in plots in later shows, doesn't make sense.

by Anonymousreply 535July 6, 2022 1:49 AM

[quote]R529: I don't recall this particular TOS episode off-hand, but I'll hazard a guess the Gorn was slow as shit because it was some sort of muppet or marionette-style creature, or they had to use old-school animation-style stop-action filming on a frame by frame basis.

It's difficult to believe you wouldn't have had at least some exposure to ST:TOS: "Arena," since it's one of the most notable, practically ubiquitous for the past half century.

And no, it wasn't stop-motion or a marionette, but an elaborate rubber suit which probably starved the shooting budgets of several other episodes. They depicted the Gorn as slow because it was ostensibly a reptile, assumed to be cold-blooded.

Difficult to believe someone would be watching Trek at all without at least a little familiarity with the original series.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 536July 7, 2022 1:03 AM

Looks like Bruce Horak, who played Hemmer, will be back in season2, in a different role.

by Anonymousreply 537July 7, 2022 1:41 AM

Plot twist: He’s playing an albino, male variant from another timeline of Michael Burnham.

by Anonymousreply 538July 7, 2022 8:54 AM

Has Anton Mount presented hole yet? If not, meh!

by Anonymousreply 539July 7, 2022 9:29 AM

Season finale is another example of the lack of creativity of the writers and showrunners. As an individual episode, it was a 7.

There were so many ways they could have shown the theme of Pike's future, but fell back on the original for ideas, rather than something that added to the Trek universe. Stop treading the same ground over and over. ADD to the universe, rather than cribbing from it and needing nostalgia to impact the audience.

Overall, the season is a strong 7 - solid, but nothing truly new or exciting.

by Anonymousreply 540July 7, 2022 1:52 PM

Good finale. Kirk was handled well. The Scotty cameo was blatant fan service, but I laughed.

Solid season overall. Switching to an episodic format is exactly what the "Star Trek" franchise needed to reinvigorate interest. It also more clearly illustrated why "Discovery" and "Picard" have so many problems.

by Anonymousreply 541July 7, 2022 4:04 PM

Some of us are only watching this show because of its ties to TOS and callbacks thereto are welcome.

by Anonymousreply 542July 7, 2022 4:14 PM

[quote]Good finale. Kirk was handled well

Paul Wesley's Kirk was a wet noodle. He lacked the bravado that Kirk needs. He's not as cerebral as Picard or as morally conflicted as Sisko.

Kirk is a cowboy sherriff on the frontier.

by Anonymousreply 543July 7, 2022 4:17 PM

Loved the new take on Uhura’s ever present green earrings.

by Anonymousreply 544July 7, 2022 10:30 PM

I admire the balls it took to latch on to one of Trek's high water marks and give a new take on it.

by Anonymousreply 545July 8, 2022 12:23 AM

This episode shows how much better the TOS episode was at developing tension and conveying the honor and skill of the Romulan commander. Mark Leonard was far better at that as well. Also, Pike is just too Zen, he never portrays concern, anxiety or desperation well, IMO. Compare that to Shatner's performance in the battle scenes Balance of Terror.

by Anonymousreply 546July 8, 2022 2:31 AM

Vulcanized can be hot (i.e. Spock), but Romulans are damn sexy.

by Anonymousreply 547July 8, 2022 7:09 AM

[quote]Also, Pike is just too Zen, he never portrays concern, anxiety or desperation well, IMO.

One of my key criticisms of SNW is that Pike, in general, comes across as weak. Unlike Picard when the Federation is much stronger and more firmly established and when diplomacy is more necessary, Pike's era is more action-oriented.

In this particular episode, they don't develop the anxiety and uncertainty around what he should or shouldn't do. Frankly, it doesn't make a lot of sense that future-Pike just doesn't tell him what the problem is. There could have been so much more tension from Pike second guessing himself throughout the episode trying to avoid the "wrong" decision. The conversation with Spock that he should let the situation unfold to see what happens was in the wrong spot. It should have been near the end as the "a-ha" moment which allowed Pike to become more confident.

by Anonymousreply 548July 8, 2022 12:46 PM

side note: it would have been hilarious if they had gotten James Frain to do the Romulan commander.

by Anonymousreply 549July 9, 2022 1:59 PM

[quote] Paul Wesley's Kirk was a wet noodle.

I didn't see Kirk in him at all. He was written right, but the casting was off. I don't know Wesley from anywhere else. If he has any Kirk-swagger, he didn't show it here. He oozed the charisma of an accountant here.

Hopefully they come up with more original content next season. The characters are written nicely for the most part. They are interesting and engaging characters with depth. Why they cannot come up with new plots - I don't understand. I agree with the 7-rating out of ten.

by Anonymousreply 550July 9, 2022 10:40 PM

One positive thing in this episode was Pike finally exercising discipline on the bridge, specifically with Ortegas. I know it came from mirroring the original BoT episode, but the carefree freewheeling anything-goes atmosphere on the bridge has consistently bothered me until now.

by Anonymousreply 551July 10, 2022 1:34 AM

I have to say I agree with the assessments of Paul Wesley as Kirk. When his casting was originally announced, I thought, "They're hiring the Rob Pattinson knock-off from 'Vampire Diaries' ?!". To be honest, I thought PW gave a weak performance there as well. I was willing to give him a chance, but my hopes were dashed. Maybe they are deliberately holding back and something will happen in the second season which will push him towards becoming the Kirk we know?

I know the whole "This is a younger Kirk." thing, but I do not see James Tiberius Kirk in this guy at all. Regardless of this version's age and experience, there should still be that spark, a recognizable seed of the Kirk to come. This is not the brash, arrogant yet likeable guy who changed the computer program on the Kobayashi Maru test to create his own option because he doesn't believe in a no-win situation, no matter how many times it was alluded to in the episode. This guy is just a typical bland intelligent, handsome Starfleet officer. His plan with the robotic mining ships could have been done by anyone, despite trying to sell it as a Kirk move. Plus, let us not forget Kirk's sex appeal. Straight ladies are supposed to throw themselves at him and gay men are supposed to lust after him in secret (if he's your type). PW, though handsome, does not have that smirking "Yeah, I know, you want me to fuck you don't you?" energy.

Perhaps they were trying to cast from the available pool near the production in Toronto and PW also had name/face recognition, but surely there are bigger, beefier, better actors, even though unknown, who have that Kirk cowboy swagger and have a resemblance to Shatner. Then again, there's also the fact Shatner was basically playing himself.

by Anonymousreply 552July 10, 2022 1:22 PM

[quote] but the carefree freewheeling anything-goes atmosphere on the bridge has consistently bothered me until now.

I'm with you. Honestly, it makes it difficult for me to take anything that happens seriously. Sulu and Chekov sat at the helm and snarked constantly, but they did it -under their breath- and -to one another- not directly to the captain's face. And every sentence addressed to Kirk ended in "Sir." Saying "Sir" is optional on this bridge?

Also, I may be misremembering, but Mount's Pike had much more gravitas on Discovery than in his own show.

Anyway, I'm finally getting caught up with episodes. I expected to hate the fantasy dress-up one, but it wound up being one of my favorites so far. But episode seven with the trans space pirate was a shitshow from start to finish.

[quote] even though unknown, who have that Kirk cowboy swagger

I think swagger is extinct in young white guys, sadly.

by Anonymousreply 553July 10, 2022 1:33 PM

[quote]Maybe they are deliberately holding back and something will happen in the second season which will push him towards becoming the Kirk we know? I know the whole "This is a younger Kirk." thing, but I do not see James Tiberius Kirk in this guy at all.

The ONLY explanation that might make some sense is that the version of James T Kirk that Wesley was playing was the guy Kirk became when overshadowed by Pike and never took command of the Enterprise, so never experienced all those huge moments while in command that shaped who he was.

The one decision they did make was NOT mentioning Kobayashi Maru to illustrate his character.

by Anonymousreply 554July 10, 2022 3:49 PM

This is another story of the same issue over and over again. Who asked for Kirk being brought back? You know this would just stir up some heated fan-discussions. Maybe deliberately. I would have been fine with Wesley playing some new captain. Would have gotten him the freedom to play this character in whatever way he wanted.

by Anonymousreply 555July 10, 2022 5:15 PM

[quote]You know this would just stir up some heated fan-discussions. Maybe deliberately.

I don't think so. I think it's another example of the showrunners and writers being bereft of talent and original ideas. Additionally, they don't know how to lean into legacy characters and storylines without being derivative.

They don't know how to build the beats of a story so that a reveal like Kirk is what the fans desperately want, rather than the silly fan service and plot armor.

by Anonymousreply 556July 10, 2022 6:23 PM

[quote]R555: This is another story of the same issue over and over again. Who asked for Kirk being brought back?

Because of the 'Trek' timeline they're dealing with, they'll have to come to terms with Kirk sooner or later.

R554's explanation of Paul Wesley's Kirk appeals to me. But part of what I would look for in a Kirk characterization would be the capacity for over-the-top ego-maniacal drama, like Kirk flipping out in the Romulan brig in 'The Enterprise Incident,' or delivering the Preamble of the Constitution in 'The Omega Glory.' It would seem to require an almost camp sensibility that maybe only Shatner could ever reasonably deliver, and as such, it's possible that 'James T. Kirk' isn't something that can ever be replicated by another actor.

by Anonymousreply 557July 10, 2022 8:07 PM

[quote]It would seem to require an almost camp sensibility that maybe only Shatner could ever reasonably deliver, and as such, it's possible that 'James T. Kirk' isn't something that can ever be replicated by another actor.

I don't necessarily need the campy goodness which is Shatner. As controversial as this may be, I like Pine's version. It's not Shatner, but it is another solid interpretation of James T Kirk. I also have to admit that I liked Quinto's Spock, but have concluded that Peck's is actually better.

I dislike BOTH Uhuras.

But, the performance that is by far the best is Karl Urban's McCoy.

by Anonymousreply 558July 10, 2022 8:14 PM

[quote] I dislike both Uhuras

Fuck you to hell and back you sorry bitch!

by Anonymousreply 559July 10, 2022 8:27 PM

Nichelle Nichols will always be Uhura to me. Saldana was all wrong and Celia Gooding is ok but she doesn't have Nichelle's looks, poise or glamour. Nichelle was just special.

I also like Pine's Kirk. I thought he did an excellent job.

Quinto did an admirable job as Spock, but I prefer Peck's version. Of course I'm probably biased because I think Peck is hot AF and I want him on my face.

by Anonymousreply 560July 10, 2022 8:33 PM

[quote]Fuck you to hell and back you sorry bitch!

Anyone who thinks that either holds a candle to Nichelle Nichols is delusional.

You need an actress who can play tough as nails while being sexy as hell. They need to find someone more like Danai Gurira or Letitia Wright from Black Panther.

by Anonymousreply 561July 10, 2022 8:44 PM

Speaking of Nichelle Nichols and Shatner, you've got to watch this true (drunk) history.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 562July 10, 2022 8:55 PM

Sorry r558, I thought you was referring to NIchelle Nichols when you said you "dislike both Uhuras". I'm very sensitive to my Queen Nichelle, who's currently battling dementia and is my absolute favorite ST character. I actually like Zoe Saldana and Celia what's her name but I agree that neither has the class that Nichelle brought to the role.

by Anonymousreply 563July 10, 2022 9:25 PM

Once a character is so iconic and entrenched in people’s mind with one performer it is very difficult to accept someone new playing the role. If you watch any number of George Burns’ tv appearances from the sixties and early seventies he was always being paired with female comedians so they could do Gracie’s lines, but even Lucille Ball couldn’t be more than a pale imitation of Gracie and eventually he developed more solo material. That is how I’ve felt about all the people taking on the TOS characters in this and the movies, even when they are fine they are still just a lesser copy.

by Anonymousreply 564July 10, 2022 10:56 PM

I am binging the series and watched the episode with Captain Angel, Jesse James Keitel. I recognized her from playing the tranny hooker with a heart of gold getting the serial killer on Big Sky.

I don't know what it is about her, but she is mesmerizing. I do not know how well her character fits in on SNW, while she is more of a Batman Super Villain, but brilliant and deductive. So sad she turned out being evil.

So arch.

by Anonymousreply 565July 12, 2022 5:57 AM

[quote]The reason why people get so bent out of shape when they ignore "canon" is that science fiction requires a much greater suspension of disbelief.

While I understand your point – and would definitely cite it as a key "Discovery" failing – I'm afraid I still have to disagree on whole. For one thing, "canon" is supposed to be specific to plot points, not scenery, plus they *did* incorporate numerous items from the TOS bridge & elsewhere (e.g. the huge buttons that don't seem to do anything - in an era when buttons would probably no longer exist - to the various "scopes" used by others (mainly Spock & #1) to look at something outside instead of, say, a pair of smart glasses with an overlay that allows you to see the same thing without hunching over.

Also, why the fuck do you have your knickers in a twist re: canon & SNW regardless? I get the complaints about "Discovery" and even "Picard," but this show is LITERALLY made almost entirely as fan service – and you bitches are STILL complaining! "Waaaah, why isn't Pike a scenery-chewing captain of camp like Kirk?!? How come Pike's hair is so pouffy? OMG the Enterprise bridge looks 23% larger than on TOS! Why'd they have to make Uhura so 'black,' and not hire another light-skinned hottie to play her? WTF Ortegas is now a dyke?!? OMFG the season finale was a total ripoff of "Balance of Terror" and Spock & Uhura were acting like they did on TOS! (nvm that the episode's set eight years into the future, people change over time, etc.) It can ONLY mean they've run out of ideas for the show!!!"

[quote]Having more advanced tech in Disco or SNW than was in VOY doesn't make sense. Of course, we have a better sense of the capabilities of a computer today than they could ever have had back then, so there is going to be, of necessity, some improvements.

An aspect you may not have considered: technology in REAL LIFE has now outpaced that on TOS, specifically in the context of their communicators. Smartphones may not contain tricorders yet (though they can measure your vitals), but they're clearly something that couldn't have been anticipated during the TOS era – *or* arguably VOY. (We had rudimentary PalmPilots by then, but that was it.) While J.J. Abrams purposely used them extensively in the first movie reboot – admittedly not that long after the first iPhones debuted – observant viewers might've noticed their near-complete absence from SNW this season.

[quote]But, stuff like the spore drive doesn't make any sense. Why wouldn't the Federation continue to develop and refine such important technology.

As was well-explained in the S2 finale, the Federation had some sort of Big Bad who would've stolen & exploited the spore-drive technology to control the galaxy, so – conveniently! – the only solution was to go to a point in time so far away that he couldn't find them (and anti-Discovery trolls could calm the fuck down about destroying ST canon). As a poster noted, outer space at the time was akin to the Wild West, and what would any given Klingon or Romulan – or unknown alien on a strange new world – do to get ahold of such an incredible technology?

by Anonymousreply 566July 15, 2022 6:14 PM

[quote]Maybe they are deliberately holding back and something will happen in the second season which will push him towards becoming the Kirk we know?

I dunno, but agreed that this Kirk is as milquetoast as it gets for the time being. Lacks Shatner's comedic timing and oh-so-fun scenery-chewing, as well as Pine's panty-dropping charisma & looks.

[quote]Why they cannot come up with new plots - I don't understand.

Because you bitches FREAK THE FUCK OUT whenever they do so! ANY changes to what occurred in terms of canon – even offscreen – are unacceptable. Also, how many seasons total have there been on every Trek show to date? (TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT & now the Paramount+ series) At least 25 or so, most with at least 25 episodes? Some of you cunts seem to underestimate the difficulty in devising *truly* new plots when the broader ST universe has already done practically everything under the sun; anything that would fuck with canon (e.g. encountering any alien species, period, prior to their intros on earlier shows – see, e.g., the meltdowns above over the Gorn – or adopting new technologies, which was attempted – to hysterical overreaction – on "Discovery")

[quote]I am binging the series and watched the episode with Captain Angel, Jesse James Keitel. I recognized her from playing the tranny hooker with a heart of gold getting the serial killer on Big Sky.

She's a series regular on Peacock's new QAF reboot, FYI.

by Anonymousreply 567July 15, 2022 6:25 PM

They can't stay frozen in time and make everything look like the late 60s, that would be ridiculous. As r566 said, tech in the year 2022 has outpaced what the 60s showrunners thought the 23rd Century would look like. Each new iteration of ST has to keep up. If they did a total copy of the 60s sets it would look antiquated and really odd in the 21st Century.

The Star Trek fans who are total purists are just tiresome. You have to have a suspension of disbelief about certain things.

Although I do agree that the new Uhura is dour, fat and unattractive. They really should've cast a think and gorgeous, sophisticated woman like Nichelle Nichols was. I will concede to that.

by Anonymousreply 568July 15, 2022 6:30 PM

[quote]Also, why the fuck do you have your knickers in a twist re: canon & SNW regardless? I get the complaints about "Discovery" and even "Picard," but this show is LITERALLY made almost entirely as fan service – and you bitches are STILL complaining! "Waaaah, why isn't Pike a scenery-chewing captain of camp like Kirk?!? How come Pike's hair is so pouffy? OMG the Enterprise bridge looks 23% larger than on TOS! Why'd they have to make Uhura so 'black,' and not hire another light-skinned hottie to play her? WTF Ortegas is now a dyke?!? OMFG the season finale was a total ripoff of "Balance of Terror" and Spock & Uhura were acting like they did on TOS! (nvm that the episode's set eight years into the future, people change over time, etc.) It can ONLY mean they've run out of ideas for the show!!!"

This entire rant is a ridiculous strawman, especially since I actually addressed much more specific points. Therefore, I stopped reading at this point.

by Anonymousreply 569July 16, 2022 1:06 AM

These last few posts are just another reason why SNW should not have been yet another prequel. These ongoing canon problems only stifle good storytelling. If writers need to watch out not to trip over everything that was already said in the past 750 episodes, they're wasting creative energy. At this point I really don't know why the concept of SNW had to be a TOS rehash. Actually, I have a good idea: Mount and Romijn tested well during DSC S2 and they wanted to monetize that easy entry in another Star Trek show. It's a low bar, low risk engagement. But that's not really a creative reason. Other than that there is no reason to retreat to this familiar territory.

Had they set the new show after TNG, DS9, VOY, they could have fashioned SNW just as well. Yes, lots of legacy content and baggage they would have to follow, but also the option to clean the slate with a Big Event so only half of it matters anymore, see DSC. Writers would be free to write whatever they want, and fans with too much time at their disposal wouldn't have to dissect each and every fucking aspect of relevant or irrelevant discrepancies.

by Anonymousreply 570July 16, 2022 1:17 PM

[quote]These last few posts are just another reason why SNW should not have been yet another prequel. These ongoing canon problems only stifle good storytelling.

I disagree. The Pike era is almost wholly unexplored. Inserting Uhura was never necessary. Adding that Noonien Singh character was also unnecessary. We could easily have gotten more than enough girl-power if they had focused on Number One and made her the badass she deserves to be (and Romijn is more than capable of playing).

There was no need for Kirk's brother to serve on the Enterprise - as a matter of fact, there was no need to run into Kirk at all during the series until perhaps the final few episodes leading into Pike's accident and Kirk's transition to captain.

There are dozens of stories they could have done without remotely coming close to existing canon.

Before TNG, there were no Borg. Yet now, no series can live without them, or so it seems. They didn't need to include the Gorn - easily could have found other aliens since the ostensible first encounter with them was Cestus III and Arena.

There are dozens of extremely powerful non-corporeal being without resorting to Q - Metreons, Organians, Trelaine, not to mention Apollo. They could easily have an adventure and meet new ones.

Again, the series was a solid 7 out of 10. Not terrible with a lot of potential to be better.

The failure of this and many of the Star Wars recent attempts is the reliance on legacy characters and existing story without adding anything to expand the universe. I'd love to see Pike's relationship to Robert April if they established that April is Pike's mentor. I'd love to see them explore strange new worlds and find new life and new civilizations, rather than running into the same lifeforms and same old civilizations.

During this era, the alpha quadrant is far less explored than TNG, yet TNG feels like such a wider and bigger galaxy filled with more new wonders and adventures.

Canon only becomes so restrictive when the writers and showrunners INSIST on retreading familiar ground and legacy characters and storylines. TNG, DS9, and VOY are all guilty of breaking canon. But, it's much less of a problem when the entire story you're trying to tell is only interesting because of that canon and you're pandering to generate any audience engagement with the story being told.

by Anonymousreply 571July 16, 2022 6:08 PM

^^^ I should add, I do like the backstory with T'Pring and Stonn (who briefly appears). Where they went too far is introducing Sybok.

I'm also finding Peck's rendition of him to be very good, the stylish sideburns notwithstanding.

The jury is out on Nurse Chapel. I do like the character and actress, but this is an instance where canon will restrict storytelling to the point where it becomes nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 572July 16, 2022 7:04 PM

Shatner is at ComiCon today bitching about all the current Trek shows. He's so fat the buttons are about to pop off his shirt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 573July 22, 2022 8:46 PM

Shitner bitches about anything that doesn't include him. He made similar remarks about TNG, DS9 (especially), and VOY.

by Anonymousreply 574July 23, 2022 4:40 PM

Nobody can stand Shatner. He was never asked back for the JJ Abrams Trek reboot. They went with Nimoy instead.

by Anonymousreply 575July 23, 2022 4:47 PM

[quote]Nobody can stand Shatner. He was never asked back for the JJ Abrams Trek reboot. They went with Nimoy instead.

Weren't there rumors that he was bitter and pissed about not being in the new ones and had campaigned hard to be included?

by Anonymousreply 576July 23, 2022 7:43 PM

Oh, hell yes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 577September 8, 2022 9:19 PM

That's very interesting. I always enjoy Kane. I hope they won't be playing her entirely for humor.

by Anonymousreply 578September 8, 2022 10:58 PM

As soon as I saw the second season clip and how much bigger Ethan Peck's pecs are (and how much thicker he's looking in general), I thought, "They're going to loose their mind about him over on DL!" LOL. Then I come here and you're all more excited about Carol Kane.

For the record though, I'm happy to see Ms. Kane added to the cast as well. Hopefully they'll give her a chance to show her versatility. I don't have many favorite performers who are still living, but she's definitely one of them.

by Anonymousreply 579September 9, 2022 2:46 AM

[quote]As soon as I saw the second season clip and how much bigger Ethan Peck's pecs are (and how much thicker he's looking in general), I thought, "They're going to loose their mind about him over on DL!"

I can lose my mind about it now. Can't wait for him and T'Pring to have another sex scene so we can admire all of it.

by Anonymousreply 580September 9, 2022 4:32 PM

Nerd alert! I attended the Las Vegas Trek convention two weeks ago and got close up looks at both Anson Mount and Ethan Peck and let me tell you, they look GOOOOD in person.

Mount seemed very nice and genial but only signed autographs from behind plexiglass while Peck was super gregarious, taking pictures with fans with a big smile and a genuine sense of enthusiasm!

by Anonymousreply 581September 9, 2022 4:50 PM

Every single clip I've seen of Peck at conventions, he always seems so engaged and clearly really into the idea of being Spock. In almost every one, he's wearing a t-shirt that references the Vulcans in some way.

Also, he works his ass off to match his performance to Leonard Nimoy.

by Anonymousreply 582September 9, 2022 4:59 PM

I’d like to work his ass off too.

by Anonymousreply 583September 10, 2022 12:17 AM

There's going to be a Lower Decks-SNW crossover. Jack Quaid (voices Brad Boimler) and Tawney Newsome (voices Beckett Mariner) are going to play live action versions of their characters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 584September 10, 2022 2:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!