Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

THEATRE GOSSIP #462 - The Name On Everybody's Lips is...Pam! (and Crazy-ass Mamet)

Continue discussing sexpots, crackpots, and sextapes (not Pam's) here

by Anonymousreply 601April 20, 2022 8:01 PM

Previous Thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 14, 2022 2:16 PM

Mamet had a sex tape with Jeremy Piven but nobody wanted it.

by Anonymousreply 2April 14, 2022 2:24 PM

I read the Times' review for "Harmony." Congrats to Barry Manilow and others involved.

by Anonymousreply 3April 14, 2022 2:39 PM

Dolly stuff...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 14, 2022 3:04 PM

Was it just my reading of it or was Vincentelli's NY Times review of HARMONY rather reserved and begrudging in spite of the Critic's Pick?

by Anonymousreply 5April 14, 2022 4:19 PM

Don't forget, Vincentelli was a critic for The New York Post.

by Anonymousreply 6April 14, 2022 4:21 PM

Vincentelli is a terrible reviewer and a dour lesbian twat.

by Anonymousreply 7April 14, 2022 4:31 PM

[quote] Mamet had a sex tape with Jeremy Piven but nobody wanted it.

....Because Piven left halfway through it.

by Anonymousreply 8April 14, 2022 4:42 PM

High mercury levels can make it difficult to...perform... r8.

by Anonymousreply 9April 14, 2022 4:45 PM

R8, I love you :-)

by Anonymousreply 10April 14, 2022 4:54 PM

The German movie about the Comedian Harmonists was quite good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 14, 2022 4:57 PM

For the poster on the previous thread who believes Richard Kline has departed, he is alive and well and turns 78 in two weeks.

by Anonymousreply 12April 14, 2022 5:49 PM

I saw Harmony in LA six or seven years ago.

I hope this time they’ve actually hired actors who can harmonize.

by Anonymousreply 13April 14, 2022 6:02 PM

I saw what was, as of this moment, the last performance of Paradise Square. Two of the leads were out unexpectedly, days after the opening, so it was obvious they had Covid and that Covid would soon be making its way through the company. But that was two weeks ago! The show can hardly afford this break.

The Skin of Our Teeth... Amazing sets and puppets. Interesting play. Needed a name or two to get people in the house.

by Anonymousreply 14April 14, 2022 7:01 PM

[quote] I saw what was, as of this moment, the last performance of Paradise Square. Two of the leads were out unexpectedly, days after the opening, so it was obvious they had Covid and that Covid would soon be making its way through the company. But that was two weeks ago! The show can hardly afford this break.

The last performance was April 6, evening. If that was the start of COVID rolling through the company, 10 days of isolation, as required for all actors performing with a mask brings you to April 16. Which is what the show had recently announced as its return date, until it was announced yesterday that they would return on April 19, due to additional cases. Nothing about it seems untoward.

by Anonymousreply 15April 14, 2022 7:08 PM

Performing *without* a mask.

by Anonymousreply 16April 14, 2022 7:09 PM

[quote]The last performance was April 6, evening. If that was the start of COVID rolling through the company, 10 days of isolation, as required for all actors performing with[out] a mask brings you to April 16. Which is what the show had recently announced as its return date, until it was announced yesterday that they would return on April 19, due to additional cases. Nothing about it seems untoward.

It's exactly as r15 says. Paradise Square was heavily hit by Covid. This is fallout from that.

by Anonymousreply 17April 14, 2022 7:15 PM

THIS DAY IN BROADWAY HISTORY: In 1992, a revival of "Guys and Dolls" starring Peter Gallagher, Nathan Lane, Faith Prince, and J.K. Simmons opened at the Martin Beck Theatre.

by Anonymousreply 18April 14, 2022 7:17 PM

[quote]too bad the others are dead. John Ritter or Richard Kline as Billy. Norman Fell is Mr Cellophane. Audra as Mama. Genius.

I don't know if that's what this poster intended to imply, but just for the record, Richard Kline is still amongst the living.

by Anonymousreply 19April 14, 2022 7:18 PM

R19, Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 20April 14, 2022 7:30 PM

A note from Richard Kline.........

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 14, 2022 7:38 PM

Suzanne Somers *IS* Roxie Hart

by Anonymousreply 22April 14, 2022 7:57 PM

Thank you, R14, for informing us that Thornton Wilder’s classic, Pulitzer Prize-winning play, The Skin of Our Teeth, is an “interesting” play. Without you, we wouid’ve never known.

by Anonymousreply 23April 14, 2022 8:05 PM

R18, let’s just add now, TOM’W IN BROADWAY HISTORY: The New York Times runs a photo of Faith Prince as Miss Adelaide on the front page, above the gatefold if I remember, heralding the arrival of a new Broadway star in Jerry Zaks’ sparkling revival of Guys and Dolls.

by Anonymousreply 24April 14, 2022 8:09 PM

Congrats, OP, for further irritating us with multiple threads. People are still posting in the other #461 and it was far enough along that we could have just finished it off before starting a new one. But I suppose we could not be denied your amazing wit.

by Anonymousreply 25April 14, 2022 8:10 PM

Sabina in The Skin of Our Teeth is really a star magnet part. Tallulah Bankhead, Lizabeth Scott, Miriam Hopkins, Mary Martin, Vivien Leigh, Bebe Neuwirth (fired from the musical).

by Anonymousreply 26April 14, 2022 8:15 PM

[quote]R24 The New York Times runs a photo of Faith Prince as Miss Adelaide on the front page, heralding the arrival of a new Broadway star in Jerry Zaks’ sparkling revival of Guys and Dolls.

Notice it wasn’t of that cunt Josie DeGuzman.

by Anonymousreply 27April 14, 2022 8:19 PM

Why so pissy, r25? Are you the OP of that other, inferior thread?

by Anonymousreply 28April 14, 2022 8:20 PM

Did anyone see Carolyn Mignini in G&D?

by Anonymousreply 29April 14, 2022 8:21 PM

I saw Elizabeth Ashley as Sabina.

by Anonymousreply 30April 14, 2022 8:22 PM

I just don't like two threads going at the same time and I know others don't, as well. I was perfectly happy to abandon one of the 461s at the beginning, but once they start filling up, people get used to posting on them and it's just a pain in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 31April 14, 2022 8:23 PM

[quote]R31 I just don't like two threads going at the same time and I know others don't, as well.

[bold]#Justice4R31

by Anonymousreply 32April 14, 2022 8:25 PM

Whatever

by Anonymousreply 33April 14, 2022 8:27 PM

[quote] Did anyone see Carolyn Mignini in G&D?

Yes. I barely remember but she was good, just wrong for the rest of the production. There was a real young energy and I get how they may have expected her Sarah to play as an old soul but it didn't fit. I don't know how much older than the others she was but she just seemed older and more traditional, and it seemed like it was the actress not just the character

by Anonymousreply 34April 14, 2022 8:27 PM

The current gossip on "Paradise" was the additional two day extension was a cover for Garth to raise more money to run the show. Some people think they are done.

by Anonymousreply 35April 14, 2022 8:33 PM

Woo-hoo, J.K....givin' it his all!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 14, 2022 8:34 PM

[quote] The current gossip on "Paradise" was the additional two day extension was a cover for Garth to raise more money to run the show. Some people think they are done.

More ticket sales for us!

by Anonymousreply 37April 14, 2022 8:35 PM

I want to see JK in Death of a Salesman

by Anonymousreply 38April 14, 2022 8:36 PM

[quote]The current gossip on "Paradise" was the additional two day extension was a cover for Garth to raise more money to run the show. Some people think they are done.

Given that the production was reportedly having money problems before opening, and then it opened to mixed to negative reviews, and THEN they had to shut down for two weeks due to COVID, I can't imagine where any more money would be coming from. I guess that ex-con is finding it somewhere, maybe to keep the show running just long enough so that the producers' rights will be vested.

by Anonymousreply 39April 14, 2022 8:42 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40April 14, 2022 9:38 PM

r25/r31, I'm sorry. I genuinely forgot about the other thread because I stopped following it once it got bogged down in all the Merrily We Roll Along talk, and I assumed it was dead because it hadn't popped up in a while when I checked the site. I see there hadn't been a post in over six hours when I started this one.

I know this title isn't great, or as witty as "Merrily We Go to Hell," but I was trying to come up with something that seemed relevant to this week and it's all that came to mind in the moment. I did forget to add the Edition at the end.

If anyone would like to comment on the other thread instead, here it is:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41April 14, 2022 10:11 PM

Vanity Fair posted a Funny Girl puff piece today, and reading it made me feel like I'm living in an alternate universe.

"As Beanie Feldstein became one of young Hollywood’s most celebrated stars..."

She did? When?

"...her wit and winsome attitude drew plenty of comparisons to icon of the stage and screen Barbra Streisand."

Her what? And when?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42April 14, 2022 10:14 PM

R41 you have too much class for this place

by Anonymousreply 43April 14, 2022 10:32 PM

Darren Criss made an Instagram post celebrating the opening night of American Buffalo a couple hours ago, then less than an hour later posted about his child being born, which he had to know would overshadow the first post. Seems odd....? Why not post about the baby earlier in the day? Or doing what's required of him for AB while hoping people won't pay much attention due to the Mamet thing?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44April 14, 2022 10:43 PM

Why is Sam Rockwell wearing clown shoes in American Buffalo?

by Anonymousreply 45April 14, 2022 10:46 PM

R40 Why would Barbra have Stephen Colbert deliver the letter to Beanie?

by Anonymousreply 46April 14, 2022 11:00 PM

Oh… I fluttered away from my keyboard for a bit… this should be up closer to the Carolyn Mignini chat : (

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47April 14, 2022 11:00 PM

I remember they kept trying different color wigs on Mignini over several previews but then just fired her.

by Anonymousreply 48April 14, 2022 11:10 PM

POTUS

by Anonymousreply 49April 14, 2022 11:14 PM

There’s a Broadway Remembered thread on Facebook that closed off all negative comments about Beanie Feldstein. Given the line of business she’s in it seems an overly precious response on the part of the administrators. I’m guessing critics may have views on her suitability for the role both in singing and acting ability which these administrators might think harsh.

by Anonymousreply 50April 14, 2022 11:17 PM

[quote]R48 I remember they kept trying different color wigs on Mignini over several previews but then just fired her.

OMG - different colored wigs each night? That would have been the death knell. Can you imagine what a horrible week that must have been for her??

Faye would have slapped them silly, and just got fired for that.

by Anonymousreply 51April 14, 2022 11:27 PM

I am one of the minority who never got the praise heaped upon the '92 Guys & Dolls or Faith Prince's performance. It's my least favorite Loesser.

by Anonymousreply 52April 14, 2022 11:30 PM

It’s a show I saw once and have no desire to ever see again. And the movie’s horrible.

by Anonymousreply 53April 14, 2022 11:41 PM

Faith Prince was ok; Nathan Lane was imitating Jackie Gleason. But the best G&D duo I saw was Julia McKenzie as Adelaide and Bob Hoskins as Nathan at the National.

by Anonymousreply 54April 14, 2022 11:47 PM

I would have rather seen Faith get the Tony for Featured Actress for her role in Nick & Nora. She was fucking brilliant in that, and to be brilliant in that piece of shit is a greater feat than doing fine in Guys & Dolls.

by Anonymousreply 55April 14, 2022 11:50 PM

Lucy Ricardo as Roxie, Ethel Mertz as Velma, Ricky Ricardo as Billy, Fred Mertz as Amos, Mrs. Trumbull as Mary Sunshine (her I Love You Truly makes her perfect for A little bit Of Good) and Mrs. Macgillicuddy/Minnie Finch as Matron. Barbara Eden as Go To Hell Kitty and Teensy and Weensy could join the showgirls of 1927 as the six Merry Murderesses.

by Anonymousreply 56April 14, 2022 11:56 PM

The reviews for Faith Prince were so incredible that you started wondering how much was PR. In retrospect, it all was.

by Anonymousreply 57April 14, 2022 11:57 PM

Ethel is definitely a Mama Morton, not a Velma. I would say Lucy could do (and would insist on) both Roxie and Velma. She could play Velma in the guise of the vamp that tried to seduce Cousin Tennessee Ernie Ford.

by Anonymousreply 58April 14, 2022 11:58 PM

Lordy, I am old if it’s been 30 years since that revival of Guys & Dolls opened. It opened on a Tuesday and I went to the Wednesday matinee. There was a line down the block with people waiting to buy tickets. You could tell who was involved in the production - they were all hanging around outside hugging each other. I loved that production, you left the theater walking on air.

by Anonymousreply 59April 15, 2022 12:00 AM

Dear Beanie !

Your parents generous donation to my charity is much appreciated. As requested here´s my note to you.

Beanie? There´s a poison named Beanie?

Best Wishes

B.

by Anonymousreply 60April 15, 2022 12:52 AM

But the supporting cast of Guys and Dolls in 1992 was superb: Walter Bobbie, J.K. Simmons, Ernie Sabella, and Victoria Clark were all a part.

by Anonymousreply 61April 15, 2022 1:11 AM

[quote] you started wondering how much was PR. In retrospect, it all was.

What does that even [italic] mean [/italic] ?

by Anonymousreply 62April 15, 2022 1:32 AM

I saw Guys and Dolls at a Saturday matinee maybe midway through the run. Faith lived up to the hype and was fantastic. Jonathan Hadary was Nathan and, well, maybe it just wasn’t a good role for him. Burke Moses was sex on a stick and Josie was lovely. Not a big fan of the show itself but I loved that production.

by Anonymousreply 63April 15, 2022 1:33 AM

Saw How I learned to Drive. Lots of eldergays in attendance.

Mary Louise was great. Crazy she’s close to 60.

by Anonymousreply 64April 15, 2022 1:51 AM

Wait - did he really name his daughter Bluesy Belle?

by Anonymousreply 65April 15, 2022 1:55 AM

[quote]Ethel is definitely a Mama Morton, not a Velma.

Old Viv, yes. But young Viv definitely had a Velma in her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66April 15, 2022 2:05 AM

I loved the Jerry Zaks "Guys & Dolls" revival, it just hit the spot.

Only a few will remember the DataLounge fave who got superb reviews playing Adelaide on the road in the national tour of that production ....Anybody?

by Anonymousreply 67April 15, 2022 2:30 AM

Linda Lavin?

by Anonymousreply 68April 15, 2022 2:32 AM

R67, wasn't it Lorna Luft?

by Anonymousreply 69April 15, 2022 2:32 AM

Suzanne?

by Anonymousreply 70April 15, 2022 2:35 AM

Well, this may be the first time in my life the words "superb" and "Walter Bobbie" have ever been uttered together.

by Anonymousreply 71April 15, 2022 2:41 AM

Oh please, r60. Barbra is thrilled that her legendary imprint on the role is safe. Had they found a *new* Barbra to cast who was a singular powerhouse, Barbra would be feeling like Ethel when Angie took on the role.

by Anonymousreply 72April 15, 2022 2:43 AM

^ Rose, of course.

by Anonymousreply 73April 15, 2022 2:47 AM

Adelorna

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74April 15, 2022 2:54 AM

Wow they practically made her do an exact impression of Faith’s performance

by Anonymousreply 75April 15, 2022 3:00 AM

It says Lorna Lufts award winning tour performance. What awards does a tour performer exactly win? The Cleveland Regional Theatre Players award for Best Actress?

by Anonymousreply 76April 15, 2022 3:18 AM

When was the last time someone threw a Sarah Siddons *your* way, r76?

by Anonymousreply 77April 15, 2022 3:31 AM

That makes me think, when I see drugstore brand ice cream (like at RiteAid) labeled “award winning,” I think, “WHERE??”

by Anonymousreply 78April 15, 2022 3:45 AM

Yes, r78, everything *must* be a contest.

by Anonymousreply 79April 15, 2022 3:49 AM

I never won a trophy

by Anonymousreply 80April 15, 2022 3:50 AM

Go into advertising and win a Clio, Bobby.

by Anonymousreply 81April 15, 2022 3:59 AM

I like blue ribbons.

by Anonymousreply 82April 15, 2022 4:11 AM

Why must everything be a [italic]contest?

by Anonymousreply 83April 15, 2022 4:21 AM

THR reviews "American Buffalo":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84April 15, 2022 4:46 AM

Deuxmoi dropped a blind item today that points to Jonathan Groff joining Daniel Radcliffe in the NYTW Merrily production later this year.

by Anonymousreply 85April 15, 2022 5:10 AM

Lorna had chops, she sounds pretty great in those clips.

by Anonymousreply 86April 15, 2022 5:38 AM

R14,

Kindly fuck off, asshat.

Given its requirements, The Skin of our Teeth is rarely done, so yes, many who don't know otherwise (and that would be most people, unless they've read the play) might think it's like Our Town. I know many folks in the business who've never seen the show and are glad for this opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 87April 15, 2022 5:51 AM

Lewis J. Stadlen did a nice job channeling Sam Levene (and also Groucho...) opposite Luft in the national tour. He was far more successful in the role than Jonathan Hadary, Jamie Farr or David Garrison (who would replace Stadlen in the road company). I believe Jeff Brooks was one of the last Nathan Detroits before it shuttered in '95?

Fun fact: Nathan and Lewis are old pals and it was actually Lane that suggested Stadlen replace him on Broadway. But Stadlen insisted he be considered for the road company instead -- mainly so he'd have his own rehearsal period with Zaks and a totally new company of actors to play off of.

Interestingly, Stadlen followed similar wisdom when Lane suggested he replace him in The Producers in 2002, instead choosing to lead the 1st National Tour while poor Henry Goodman (a very fine actor) floundered back in New York.

by Anonymousreply 88April 15, 2022 6:32 AM

You’d have to be pretty anti-magnetic not to have chemistry with a pussy hound like Peter Gallagher. This Mignini woman - was she into men?

by Anonymousreply 89April 15, 2022 6:48 AM

[quote]Interestingly, Stadlen followed similar wisdom when Lane suggested he replace him in The Producers in 2002, instead choosing to lead the 1st National Tour while poor Henry Goodman (a very fine actor) floundered back in New York.

Goodman was a fine Max, r88. Lane went out of his way to trash him though, one time while on stage. One night shortly before he left, one of Nathan's tried and true bits didn't work. Angry, he said "Wait until that Englishman gets here and see how fucking funny he is".

Love Stadlen.

by Anonymousreply 90April 15, 2022 8:20 AM

[quote]This Mignini woman - was she into men?

Carolyn Mignini doesn't dine on muff. She's been married to Steve Vinovich for decades.

The problem, as stated earlier, was that the show had a youthful vibe, with all the roles being played younger than they had been previously. Lane, Prince, and Gallagher were 35, 36, & 37. Carolyn Mignini was 45. If she and Gallagher had sparked, the older woman Sarah could have been very sexy. Personally, they were cordial, but there was just no stage heat between them at all..

by Anonymousreply 91April 15, 2022 9:38 AM

It's early here on the east coast, but the Times and other publications will have reviews out for "American Buffalo" and "Cyrano"... I read both reviews, both shows well-received. I do wish I was in the city with the disposable income to see them.

by Anonymousreply 92April 15, 2022 10:00 AM

[quote]Well, this may be the first time in my life the words "superb" and "Walter Bobbie" have ever been uttered together.

Whaddya talk? I use those words together quite often.

by Anonymousreply 93April 15, 2022 10:05 AM

My God 30 years ago! I remember that GUYS AND DOLLS publicity. Nee York was emerging from a particularly lifeless period, and either Frank Rich in the Times or someone ar New York Magazine (it got the cover) said something like it was the show that made you believe New York City WOULD live again, or something equally overblown.

The production lived up to the hype, and Nathan Lane was spectacular. Faith Prince worked well with him, but she was canonized even more than Nina Ariana, Heather Headley, etc. before reality set in.

by Anonymousreply 94April 15, 2022 11:43 AM

Casting Carolyn Mignini seemed to be inspired by Sophie Hayden in Most Happy Fella. Casting an older woman in the ingenue role made Most Happy Fella more poignant. And on paper, a Sarah Brown who has given up ever getting involved with a man, who gets involved with a younger man---then finds out he only went after her as part of a bet. That should have made for a more intense drama. But this was not a production where that kind of real pain would fit.

by Anonymousreply 95April 15, 2022 12:13 PM

Mignini was Zaks’ cast mate in Tintypes so his intentions were good. Must’ve made her firing even harder. Sarah is an outsider in the show so it could have worked in principle.

by Anonymousreply 96April 15, 2022 12:18 PM

Christ, Josie DeGuzman was genuinely awful in G&D. Soooo bad. Producers could find NO ONE else?? It’s a fucking ingenue soubrette role, easily castable with thousands of NY girls. They could have done an open call the day before opening and had a hundred girls ready to go the day of. Gallagher was also quite dull and charmless and couldn’t sing. The show was all about Nathan and Faith, and a really well cast and terrific ensemble and the staging.

by Anonymousreply 97April 15, 2022 12:20 PM

agree with the comment above. Burke Moses brought real BDE to Sky. Sarah was never going to be the same after he followed her folds.

by Anonymousreply 98April 15, 2022 12:28 PM

Rebecca Luker or Judy Kuhn would have been wonderful as Sarah.

by Anonymousreply 99April 15, 2022 12:37 PM

[quote] And on paper, a Sarah Brown who has given up ever getting involved with a man, who gets involved with a younger man---then finds out he only went after her as part of a bet. That should have made for a more intense drama. But this was not a production where that kind of real pain would fit.

Lol, sweetie this is a musical, not Mourning Becomes Electra. G&D doesn’t need intense drama. No one wants “real pain” in Guys and Dolls.

by Anonymousreply 100April 15, 2022 12:39 PM

R100, you are just repeating what R98 already said.

So why the attitude?

If you are agreeing there is no point to being a dick.

by Anonymousreply 101April 15, 2022 12:49 PM

Burrow's autobio is interesting on G&D. The idea was to imitate South Pacific--a dramatic musical based on a series of short stories. The script and score were completed and it did not work.

So Burrows wrote a new script to fit the score and changed the tone of the whole thing. I would have to look back, but i think he added the bet, which did not come from Runyon but from a 1920s farce.

by Anonymousreply 102April 15, 2022 12:53 PM

[quote]If you are agreeing there is no point to being a dick.

The DL can NEVER have too many dicks.

by Anonymousreply 103April 15, 2022 12:57 PM

Jerry Zaks was never very good at casting ingenues.

by Anonymousreply 104April 15, 2022 1:11 PM

Tintypes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105April 15, 2022 1:53 PM

I saw NeNe Leakes as Flambeana

by Anonymousreply 106April 15, 2022 1:59 PM

R100 that's absurd! Wait until you see how I re-claim GUYS AND DOLLS and bring out the DRAMA!

As noted above the character of Sarah WAS an outsider and therefore must be played by a trans person of color!

by Anonymousreply 107April 15, 2022 2:07 PM

R107 = Billy Porter

by Anonymousreply 108April 15, 2022 2:08 PM

[quote] Gallagher was also quite dull and charmless and couldn’t sing.

I wouldn't say he couldn't sing, but it does seem that he has vocal problems from an early age, beginning around or before that time. On the cast album, and in the documentary of the recording sessions, his vibrato is sometimes so heavy that it's almost a wobble.

by Anonymousreply 109April 15, 2022 2:26 PM

If that rumor about Groff as Frank in MERRILY is true, I think that would be perfect casting. You really need someone with lots of charm and personal attractiveness as Frank, because the character as written is somewhat underwritten and unsympathetic.

by Anonymousreply 110April 15, 2022 2:27 PM

Aw, Trey Wilson, r105! He was such a nice guy, gone too soon.

by Anonymousreply 111April 15, 2022 2:28 PM

[quote]gone too soon

As was Lynne Thigpen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112April 15, 2022 2:31 PM

[quote]Burrow's autobio is interesting on G&D. The idea was to imitate South Pacific--a dramatic musical based on a series of short stories. The script and score were completed and it did not work. So Burrows wrote a new script to fit the score and changed the tone of the whole thing.

So you're saying that, as originally written, the book was all dramatic and heavy and humorless, and the score was filled with wit and humor and energy and spirit? You make it sound like Loesser and the original book writer, Jo Swerling, weren't even talking to each other. There seems to be no doubt that Burrows improved the book greatly, but I really don't think the situation was quite as you paint it.

by Anonymousreply 113April 15, 2022 2:32 PM

Annnnnnd we're "gossiping" about casting for national tours from 30 years old shows. Girls, PLEASE! Stay in THIS century! Back to it: How was the first preview of STRANGE LOOP, and who will be buying tickets for this? Is The Scottish Play truly the merdeshow its reputed to be, and is there a bootleg of the Sam Gold night? How did Erin Dilly do with Matthew? Does Garth have a dime to re-open his show, and even more, will The Shuberts end up paying for the load-out? (karma, baby...). Has Debra Messing been screaming at her agents because of her tepid reviews? Does anyone care Doubtfire is back, and can they even make it to June? The Weisslers finally admitted that the SVOG money re-opened their shows, and they're burning through it with trumped up productions that don't need to sell tickets. Hello, regulators?

by Anonymousreply 114April 15, 2022 2:35 PM

TINTYPES on Bway was wonderful.

I was a kid seeing it on a school trip (my 3rd Bway show ever, I think) and even then, the cast was so special and appealing. I learned a lot about what actors bring to their roles, even in a musical revue.

The point's been made here numerous times, but worth repeating: we've lost the knack for casting and promoting real personalities in musicals.

by Anonymousreply 115April 15, 2022 2:38 PM

[quote]Has Debra Messing been screaming at her agents because of her tepid reviews?

What the hell do her agents have to do with it? Did they force her to take a role that's beyond her talents?

[quote]The Weisslers finally admitted that the SVOG money re-opened their shows, and they're burning through it with trumped up productions that don't need to sell tickets. Hello, regulators?

I don't doubt you for a moment, but what "trumped-up productions that don't need to sell tickets" are you referring to? And also, what sort of production doesn't need to sell tickets, regardless of how it's funded?

by Anonymousreply 116April 15, 2022 2:39 PM

I think Mary-Louise Parker will (rightfully) be the frontrunner for lead actress this year and could pull off back-to-back wins. The role of Lil Bit in How I Learned to Drive is just so good and MLP slips right back into the character like a well-used glove. There is a lot of humor in the play but as it progresses and her character’s age keeps dropping, the true shock of what has happened to her is arrested on Parker’s face. It’s an amazing performance that I honestly thought I would never be able to see. I read that play back in college in the late ‘90s!

David Morse will be nominated in lead at the very least. He was perfect. Johanna Day deserves a featured actress nomination.

by Anonymousreply 117April 15, 2022 2:43 PM

Heather Headley would have made a perfect Sarah Brown ten years ago - a re-visit of the 1970’s Black Guys and Dolls would have been way more fun than the listless 2009 revival.

by Anonymousreply 118April 15, 2022 2:49 PM

[quote] Girls, PLEASE! Stay in THIS century!

Stop trying to tell people what they can and cannot talk about

And fuck you. We are not girls.

by Anonymousreply 119April 15, 2022 3:15 PM

[quote]MLP slips right back into the character like a well-used glove

I heard "Well Used Glove" was her nickname during 8 seasons of WEEDS.

Just sayin'.

by Anonymousreply 120April 15, 2022 3:17 PM

If Cyrano were on Broadway instead of the BAM, McAvoy would be given the Tony automatically. Critics are creaming over him (with reason, I might add).

by Anonymousreply 121April 15, 2022 3:21 PM

[quote]Heather Headley would have made a perfect Sarah Brown ten years ago - a re-visit of the 1970’s Black Guys and Dolls would have been way more fun than the listless 2009 revival.

HH troll, do we have any reason to believe that HH has the soprano register to sing "I'll Know" and "I've Never Been in Love Before" the way they're meant to be sung? Because if there were no contrast between those songs and "If I Were a Bell," that casting wouldn't work, as it did so fabulously with Ernestine Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 122April 15, 2022 3:26 PM

Debra Messing is just so wrong for that awful play. At one point she turns into a Kate Hepburn impersonator and never looks back. Bad, boring play.

by Anonymousreply 123April 15, 2022 3:29 PM

McAvoy isn't on Broadway because he wouldn't commit to a run long enough for it to make sense. They tried.

by Anonymousreply 124April 15, 2022 3:32 PM

R124 I kinda admire him more.....

by Anonymousreply 125April 15, 2022 3:48 PM

THIS DAY IN BROADWAY HISTORY: In 2012, "Peter and the Starcatcher" opened at the Brooks Atkinson Theatre.

by Anonymousreply 126April 15, 2022 4:06 PM

[quote]R89 You’d have to be pretty anti-magnetic not to have chemistry with a pussy hound like Peter Gallagher. This Mignini woman - was she into men?

Maybe all the different colored wigs they kept throwing at her during previews were an attempt to make her attractive to him?

Yet nothing helped.

by Anonymousreply 127April 15, 2022 5:07 PM

[quote]R106 I saw NeNe Leakes as Flambeana.

I saw Goody Mignini dancing with the devil!

by Anonymousreply 128April 15, 2022 5:15 PM

[quote]Annnnnnd we're "gossiping" about casting for national tours from 30 years old shows. Girls, PLEASE! Stay in THIS century!

Never going to happen. Try to accept that fact and spare yourself all the aggravation of trying to be a hall monitor.

by Anonymousreply 129April 15, 2022 5:17 PM

Are you new to DL R101? Lol. Shut up.

by Anonymousreply 130April 15, 2022 5:21 PM

Saw STRANGE LOOP last night. I don't get it. I was in the minority opinion, I think, but I found it a bunch of sad navel-gazing. The buzz around me was that it's a sure thing for the Tony. Is this true?

by Anonymousreply 131April 15, 2022 5:50 PM

[quote]If that rumor about Groff as Frank in MERRILY is true, I think that would be perfect casting. You really need someone with lots of charm and personal attractiveness as Frank, because the character as written is somewhat underwritten and unsympathetic.

Deuxmoi was the first to break the Daniel Radcliffe news, so I am betting that this is true.

If so, who will be their Mary? Is Ariana DeBose available?

by Anonymousreply 132April 15, 2022 6:33 PM

Peter Gallagher can't sing? That's news to me. I've heard him sing many times and think he sounds great.

by Anonymousreply 133April 15, 2022 6:35 PM

Who/what/where is a Deuxmoi?

by Anonymousreply 134April 15, 2022 6:51 PM

R134 Popular Instagram gossip account that posts anonymous tips and sightings.

by Anonymousreply 135April 15, 2022 6:59 PM

[quote] Who/what/where is a Deuxmoi?

It's pronounced "dumb moi," and it's what you should say since you're too dumb to use Google or DuckDuckGo and find out your own damn self.

by Anonymousreply 136April 15, 2022 7:00 PM

R134 must be a Boomer.

by Anonymousreply 137April 15, 2022 7:05 PM

r131, yes, A Strange Loop is very much the frontrunner and it's hard to see much overtaking it, but it's been a thin season for musicals. GoldDerby's predictors have it as the most likely to win, with Six close behind. The latter may have a shot, but ASL probably seems more important (especially after winning the Pulitzer) while Six is too much like a concert.

There's not much competition out there:

- MJ is a jukebox musical, and controversy over the subject probably kills its chances, even if it were better.

- The Girl From the North Country is a contender, but also is a flop at the box office (and was a bit divisive, with some loving and some hating).

- Doubtfire isn't good.

- Flying Over Sunset likely has some supporters, but got a very mixed reception.

- Paradise Square isn't good and is a flop.

- Word on Mr. Saturday Night is mixed. I could see it getting a nomination, but not a win.

Unless Six picks up steam, that kind of leaves a clear path to victory for ASL.

by Anonymousreply 138April 15, 2022 7:09 PM

R138, and also, of course, "A Strange Loop" was created by and stars an African American, which certainly gives it an edge in the current environment.

by Anonymousreply 139April 15, 2022 7:17 PM

Ah, but isn't one of the SIX creators trans? Does Black beat trans?

by Anonymousreply 140April 15, 2022 7:19 PM

What a horrible situation for Broadway musicals and the future of tours. Everything will have to be revivals, because no one will want to see this shit. No wonder Beanie is getting such publicity; there's nothing new that's any good.

by Anonymousreply 141April 15, 2022 7:22 PM

Carolyn Mignini is an acquaintance of mine and I've acted in class with her. She's fantastic. Never knew that about her in G&D!

I saw that G&D in 1992 when I was a senior in high school. My theater friends and I lost our minds during the "Sit Down You're Rockin' the Boat" added rap thing and Ruth Williamson got on that stool and let out a high B-flat or whatever. Just one of my favorite memories of live theater, ever. I remember really loving the show, except De Guzman, bleah.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142April 15, 2022 7:23 PM

I saw A Strange Loop off-Broadway and remember the main character singing about having a white man’s cum up his ass. I’m sure the Midwesterners are just gonna LOVE that.

by Anonymousreply 143April 15, 2022 7:33 PM

Apparently New Yorkers like having cum up their ass if it's a favorite to win the Blowme Award.

by Anonymousreply 144April 15, 2022 7:50 PM

Jay Binder Dies: Prominent Broadway Casting Director Was 71:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145April 15, 2022 7:50 PM

Another fan of the original TINTYPES! Sad to think that a gorgeous little show like that could never make it on Broadway these days. But then again, it didn't really make it the first time around, in spite of the critical love. But there remains a lot of fond remembrances of the production for sure.

WHET to charming Mary Catherine Wright who played Emma Goldman (and others) on Broadway? She was such a refreshingly quirky soubrette type and I still love her rendition of "Jonah Man" on the OBC recording.

by Anonymousreply 146April 15, 2022 7:51 PM

I think the voters will give ASL a lot of Tonys -- book, score, possibly a cast member -- but I think they'll give the Best Musical to SIX. It's hard to love ASL.

by Anonymousreply 147April 15, 2022 8:13 PM

The Geffen Playhouse in L.A. just announced that THE INHERITANCE is scheduled to run from September 13 - November 27.

"The Inheritance reunites Geffen Playhouse alums Matthew López & Mike Donahue (The Legend of Georgia McBride, 2017) for an extended run of the celebrated Stephen Daldry production after its Olivier Award–sweeping London and Tony Award–winning Broadway runs."

No word on casting yet.

by Anonymousreply 148April 15, 2022 8:14 PM

Any word on The Geffen's Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf starring Calista Flockhart and Zachary Quinto as Martha and George? I can't imagine.....well, him, maybe.

by Anonymousreply 149April 15, 2022 8:17 PM

I'm seeing the first preview of VW on Tuesday. I shall report back.

by Anonymousreply 150April 15, 2022 8:22 PM

That G&D video at R142 makes me happy every time I see it. Amazing song, great choreography and stellar performances. And then I think about A Strange Loop maybe being the Tony front-runner, and I am filled with sadness. I saw half of ASL at Playwrights Horizons and left at intermission. I thought it was dreadful. And I even stayed for all of Metro, which was godawful but still better than ASL.

by Anonymousreply 151April 15, 2022 8:32 PM

r145 And chorus boys everywhere breathe a sigh of relief

by Anonymousreply 152April 15, 2022 8:39 PM

R135 You're making it sound better than it is. Anyone can send in anything and it'll likely get posted.

by Anonymousreply 153April 15, 2022 8:41 PM

I saw GUYS AND DOLLS in previews with Mignini. I don't remember much about her but loved the show otherwise. I do remember being shocked that they replaced her with DeGuzman, as I thought someone like Judy Kuhn would have been perfect for it. DeGuzman just seemed so ... blah. But I never saw it again. Seeing that clip just filled me with joy, though. My friend Steve Ryan played the cop and he, sadly, died very young. A great guy and a wonderful actor.

And yes, I saw A Strange Loop off-Bwy as well, and though I stayed for the whole thing, it was not very good. Shocked that it got the Pulitzer.

by Anonymousreply 154April 15, 2022 8:47 PM

Yeah. There was a brief flurry of me too-ness about Jay Binder on Facebook about two years ago. Maybe three. Several people added their experiences, but then it faded out.

by Anonymousreply 155April 15, 2022 8:49 PM

Mary Catherine Wright when she was young, pre-Tintypes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156April 15, 2022 8:52 PM

THIS is the favorite for the Tony? AYK? Of course, it will win.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157April 15, 2022 8:53 PM

I read A Strange Loop and thought it was self-indulgent nonsense and really poorly written. I can't imagine even the best cast in the world doing enough heavy lifting to make it palatable. The Pulitzer win was a complete joke.

You look at something like A Strange Loop, which got all this attention, and then something like One in Two by Donja Love, which was done just down the street around the same time at The New Group. Both plays had similar topics (of course, one was a musical) and both plays had very rough edges and were very personal stories. But the big difference is that Love has actual talent as a writer, and you can see that he could become a major voice at some point, whereas Michael Jackson doesn't have shit to say and will have no discipline or any motivation to become better, because everyone has kissed his add over this POS and told him how wonderful he is.

by Anonymousreply 158April 15, 2022 8:54 PM

Mary Catherine Wright more recently

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159April 15, 2022 8:55 PM

[quote]And yes, I saw A Strange Loop off-Bwy as well, and though I stayed for the whole thing, it was not very good. Shocked that it got the Pulitzer.

Are you REALLY shocked that it got the Pulitzer? I haven't seen the show yet, so I have no idea of its quality, but isn't it obvious why it won the Pulitzer even if it's not good?

by Anonymousreply 160April 15, 2022 8:55 PM

Any word on who will be starring in the Barrington production of A Little Night Music this summer?

by Anonymousreply 161April 15, 2022 9:28 PM

Jay Binder died. He cast a lot of hot asses but couldn’t live forever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162April 15, 2022 9:37 PM

[quote]do we have any reason to believe that HH has the soprano register to sing "I'll Know" and "I've Never Been in Love Before" the way they're meant to be sung?

Sopranos are overrated!

by Anonymousreply 163April 15, 2022 9:38 PM

R162, If he’s the person responsible for casting Travolta in Hairspray, then maybe it’s for the best.

by Anonymousreply 164April 15, 2022 9:39 PM

[quote] I saw half of ASL at Playwrights Horizons and left at intermission.

Nifty trick, especially considering it's in one act.

by Anonymousreply 165April 15, 2022 9:48 PM

[quote]Yes, [R78], everything *must* be a contest.

It's the American way, baby! It's what motivates us.

by Anonymousreply 166April 15, 2022 9:56 PM

R164, it was no doubt director Adam Shankman’s idea to cast Travolta, not Binder who merely “advised” on casting.

by Anonymousreply 167April 15, 2022 10:00 PM

Which producers are the stupidest? Is Sonia F smart?

by Anonymousreply 168April 15, 2022 10:06 PM

I am definitely voting for Six over the hot mess that is A Strange Loop.

by Anonymousreply 169April 15, 2022 10:13 PM

[quote]Which producers are the stupidest? Is Sonia F smart?

She invested money in Beanie Feldstein in Funny Girl. You tell me.

by Anonymousreply 170April 15, 2022 10:14 PM

She's a producer not an investor, and the show, so far at least is doing well. I tell you that.

by Anonymousreply 171April 15, 2022 10:56 PM

[quote]I am definitely voting for Six over the hot mess that is A Strange Loop.

But SIX is a piece of garbage. Except for MJ, any of the other possible nominees would be a better choice, as flawed as they all are.

by Anonymousreply 172April 15, 2022 11:03 PM

In “How I Learned to Drive,” I found it really powerful at the very end when they had the teenage Greek chorus play Lil Bit for that scene when the abuse first started in the car when she was 11. Even though Mary Louise was incredible at playing the younger versions, something about switching over to that young actress talking and crying while having him molest Mary Louise was really intense. The audience was completely silent. It was like everyone was holding their breath.

Anyone else feel that way? The play has really stuck with me - the way it was structured was rather brilliant. I saw it years ago in a regional production but had forgotten most of it.

by Anonymousreply 173April 15, 2022 11:21 PM

Hal Luftig

by Anonymousreply 174April 15, 2022 11:37 PM

Was the original production of How I Learned to Drive performed like that with a younger actress as Lil Bit? Kerry O'Malley played that role and she wasn't much (or any) younger than M-L Parker.

by Anonymousreply 175April 15, 2022 11:48 PM

And now she looks old enough to play MLP's mother.

by Anonymousreply 176April 16, 2022 12:45 AM

Someone in the last thread, in the discussion about NPH replacing Borle in Into the Woods, mentioned Patti talking about how unprepared he was for Company; someone else asked where she talked about that and I don't think anyone ever responded. A new thread was just started with Patti's NYT interview from December. It's mentioned in there.

"Confirm or Deny

Maureen Dowd: You chided Neil Patrick Harris for not knowing what he was doing in rehearsals for your limited “Company” run at Lincoln Center in 2011.

Patti LuPone: True. We had 10 days. He came in and he didn’t know anything."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177April 16, 2022 1:53 AM

Did Patti think NPH was up to the role by the time the show opened?

by Anonymousreply 178April 16, 2022 2:31 AM

Who cares what Patti thought. Did he do the job? Yes. So STFU, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 179April 16, 2022 2:54 AM

Was Patti pushing for Corky to take over the role, since he was off script by the second day?

by Anonymousreply 180April 16, 2022 3:23 AM

R113, I was quoting Burrows' description. I am sure the original book was funnier than he described. But the idea that South Pacific was in Swerling and Loesser's minds does ring true---even if they were not going for drama as heavy.

by Anonymousreply 181April 16, 2022 3:26 AM

[quote]r180 Was Patti pushing for Corky to take over the role?

Corky would have made a WONDERFUL Bobby!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182April 16, 2022 3:33 AM

[quote]less than an hour later posted about his child being born, which he had to know would overshadow the first post. Seems odd....?

Why let a good chance at double attention whoring go to waste?

by Anonymousreply 183April 16, 2022 4:00 AM

[quote]Jay Binder died. He cast a lot of hot asses but couldn’t live forever.

Jay Binder died from alcoholism. They'll say all sorts of other things, but that was the cause. I saw him about three years ago and was shocked he looked so awful. The hospitalizations were not from exhaustion, trust me. A curious man, both a huge supporter of talent and a complete monster when directing shows himself. He was very bright and knew this town's talent like a phone book. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 184April 16, 2022 6:43 AM

Booze is fun.

by Anonymousreply 185April 16, 2022 7:52 AM

He should've changed his name to John Bender.

by Anonymousreply 186April 16, 2022 8:01 AM

So, anyone here know the goss about why Natalie Mendoza who took over as Satine in Broadway's 'Moulin Rouge!' in September is leaving the show in May? Seems weird that she is leaving the production so soon.

by Anonymousreply 187April 16, 2022 12:23 PM

She probably decided to no longer be “The sparkling Diamond” because of the industry’s reaction to the news about S.R.

by Anonymousreply 188April 16, 2022 12:48 PM

Who/what is S.R.?

by Anonymousreply 189April 16, 2022 1:14 PM

Maybe Mendoza is leaving for another project. Lana Gordon just took over from Amber Grey in Hadestown but left to rejoin Chicago as Velma which may have been a smart move since the show is hot again thanks to Pam.

by Anonymousreply 190April 16, 2022 1:17 PM

r189, Rudin of course. r188 is referencing Olivo claiming she was bailing on Moulin after the Rudin stories because "Social justice is more important than being the sparkling diamond."

by Anonymousreply 191April 16, 2022 1:19 PM

Steve Vinovich went into Waitress, didn't he, and then was out again almost immediately ... what happened there?

by Anonymousreply 192April 16, 2022 1:36 PM

R191 thanks! I can't keep up with all of the acronyms/initialisms.

by Anonymousreply 193April 16, 2022 1:39 PM

Word is the SKIN OF OUR TEETH is a train wreck playing to a half-empty theatre. Someone I know, who never leaves at intermission, fled at this one. Embarrassing obvious contemporary references made everything worse. Of course we expected nothing less from Lileana Blain-Cruz.

by Anonymousreply 194April 16, 2022 1:43 PM

Has Christian Hoff been blackballed on Broadway since Pal Joey?

by Anonymousreply 195April 16, 2022 1:59 PM

What a shame, it's such an...interesting play.

by Anonymousreply 196April 16, 2022 2:18 PM

Broadway is currently in a sorry state because of wokeism (i.e., diversity > talent).

by Anonymousreply 197April 16, 2022 2:29 PM

So folks like Don Cheadle, RuPaul, Alan Cumming, Jennifer Hudson, Mindy Kaling and Billy Porter are listed above title as 'producers' of Strange Loop. Does anyone know, did they give a few bucks? Do they come to meetings? Did they just lend their names? Do they do anything?

by Anonymousreply 198April 16, 2022 2:32 PM

Wonder if SKIN should have been in the Newhouse instead of the gigantic Beaumont.

by Anonymousreply 199April 16, 2022 2:38 PM

Thanks for the warning on Skin of our Teeth, which I am cancelling and replacing with Cyrano at BAM. It’s been a rough year to be an out of town LCT member.

by Anonymousreply 200April 16, 2022 3:22 PM

Anyone a Killing Eve fan who has tickets to see Jodie Comer in Prima Facie?

by Anonymousreply 201April 16, 2022 3:42 PM

The celebrity as producer thing is a new CAA/WME gimmick. The shows are actually paying for those names, assuming that their followers and social media presence will help the shows. (How'd that work out for you Joe Jonas and 'Chicken and Biscuits'?). It's also a shameless grab for a Tony award, to add to their monstrous egos and help them move toward an EGOT. If SL wins the Tony, Jennifer Hudson and Mindy Kalling get Tony awards. What a joke.

by Anonymousreply 202April 16, 2022 3:48 PM

EGOT is bullshit and another sign of our ever more ridiculous society

by Anonymousreply 203April 16, 2022 3:52 PM

[quote] So folks like Don Cheadle, RuPaul, Alan Cumming, Jennifer Hudson, Mindy Kaling and Billy Porter are listed above title as 'producers' of Strange Loop. Does anyone know, did they give a few bucks? Do they come to meetings? Did they just lend their names? Do they do anything?

"Look, a bandwagon! Everybody jump!!!"

by Anonymousreply 204April 16, 2022 3:59 PM

Oh good, Billy Porter winning another Tony. That will allow him to completely forget that amateurish monstrosity, "The Life."

by Anonymousreply 205April 16, 2022 4:02 PM

Anyone else been watching the WEWORK saga on Apple? They conveniently left out this magical moment...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206April 16, 2022 4:25 PM

I finally watched In the Heights. Fun-ish score, but absolutely relentless in its energy, and for what? two hours and 22 min to tell a 40 minute story. I felt like I had been assaulted by the end. Man, John Chu is a terrible director. All slick bullshit without an ounce of substance. I thought Corey Hawkins was awful (and completely autotuned), and the women ranged from meh to meh-adjacent. But Anthony Ramos was adorable and charismatic. That guy is a star. He's the only reason I didn't turn off the tv when we got to LMM badly playing the coco helados guy with his cart, coming in like Apu in Oh, Streetcar. What was the point of his character?

Anyway, more Ramos, less LMM.

by Anonymousreply 207April 16, 2022 6:38 PM

a bit OT

priceless quote from NYT article about jonathan baily of Bridgerton and Cock

"The pair[Cock director Elliott & Jon] first worked together on a gender-swapped production of the Stephen Sondheim musical “Company,” which won Bailey an Olivier award in 2019.

Sondheim, Elliott said, was enamored with Bailey.

Three days before he died last year, Elliott told Sondheim that Bailey would be starring in “Cock.” Sondheim “literally stopped in his tracks, closed his eyes, put his hand on his chest and said, ‘Be still my beating heart,’” Elliott said.

Oh Steven, you will live forever in our hearts, (and loins)

by Anonymousreply 208April 16, 2022 6:46 PM

Over on LPSG, someone has been describing the naked actors in Take Me Out. Here are three of them:

Patrick J. Adams Beautiful hairy dad bod type Chest hair that connected all the way down through his stomach to his pubes Definitely fluffed before his seen as his head pops out (uncircumcised) Head was pretty round and a purplish pink I color - it almost looked if it was squeezed out of the shaft by him to give some more length Fairly small but very cute on him probably around 2/3 inches when he first strips down and hovers around 3/3.5 after some presumed fluffing His face is the money maker here he is so cute and hot at the same time Butt is nice and round at the body and all the juiciness ends there

Hiram Delgado He was the most hard out of all of them - I would almost 3/4th full erect It hang pretty high from his balls and have a very obvious curve to the right The curve was almost 90 degrees I would say and very pretty to look at especially cause it was basically hard Beautifully dark and uncircumcised - had two visible veins bulging the bottom which gave away how he might have fluffed too much Bounced quit stiffly each time he moved around

Julian Chi Beautiful pecs and abs - but the pecs were really something to see Probably did some push ups before going on cause his pecs looked so full and perfectly round in shape Legs were muscular and thick - he also looked pretty tall Cock hung a little above average maybe 4/4.5 inches at the state I saw which looked normally soft (probably very minimal fluffing) Smooth body head to toe except a very well groomed tuft of pin straight hair above the shaft Balls hung lower than the head of his cock and were also incredibly hairless

by Anonymousreply 209April 16, 2022 6:46 PM

that's just pathetic, even for gay incel standards.

by Anonymousreply 210April 16, 2022 6:48 PM

[quote] Three days before he died last year, Elliott told Sondheim that Bailey would be starring in “Cock.” Sondheim “literally stopped in his tracks, closed his eyes, put his hand on his chest and said, ‘Be still my beating heart,’” Elliott said.

That doesn't sound like Sondheim. She made that shit up.

by Anonymousreply 211April 16, 2022 7:00 PM

Did Sondheim molest Bailey or lock him up in his dungeon?

by Anonymousreply 212April 16, 2022 7:17 PM

That Elliot story is total bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 213April 16, 2022 7:24 PM

The dungeon ‘jokes’ were tired decades ago

by Anonymousreply 214April 16, 2022 7:36 PM

Indeed they were, r274.

And if the Marianne Elliot story is true, either she was telling a very tasteless joke, or Sondheim was joking.

by Anonymousreply 215April 16, 2022 7:39 PM

[quote]And if the Marianne Elliot story is true, either she was telling a very tasteless joke, or Sondheim was joking.

Can you explain what you find so tasteless about it? Despite the title of the show, COCK features no full-frontal nudity. And even if it did, what exactly is so tasteless about someone expressing enthusiasm over seeing a very attractive person naked on stage?

by Anonymousreply 216April 16, 2022 8:33 PM

I know I’m in the minority, but I found Doubtfire a lot of fun and Rob McClure very impressive. It’s not high art, but cute.

by Anonymousreply 217April 16, 2022 8:41 PM

“Cute” doesn’t justify the price of a theater ticket IMO.

by Anonymousreply 218April 16, 2022 9:00 PM

POTUS has to be the worst written play ever to reach Broadway. Absolutely abysmal.

by Anonymousreply 219April 16, 2022 9:19 PM

R216 They're no doubt one of the self-appointed Sondheim defenders who have decided no jokes can be made about him, despite the fact Sondheim constantly encouraged Gerard Alessandrini to "be meaner" in Forbidden Broadway, so he could take a joke.

by Anonymousreply 220April 16, 2022 9:24 PM

Saw Strange Loop matinee and really enjoyed it. Thought it was quite moving and the cast was fantastic. Audience went wild for it. It’s very original, very gay and has great energy.

by Anonymousreply 221April 16, 2022 9:39 PM

I had the good fortune to be seated next to Gerard Allessandrini at the star-studded City Center Sondheim revue A BED AND A CHAIR: A NEW YORK LOVE AFFAIR (starring Bernadette Peters, Norm Lewis & Jeremy Jordan, among others) and we chatted about how supportive Sondheim was of Forbidden Broadway and also of the great affection Gerard has for Sondheim. It’s a real shame that production was not recorded or filmed… you’d think with that cast and material it would be a no-brainer, especially since they were all new and interesting Wynton Marsalis arrangements. Ah, well…

by Anonymousreply 222April 16, 2022 9:41 PM

R219, did you see Moose Murders? Is it Moose Murders-level bad?

by Anonymousreply 223April 16, 2022 9:43 PM

[quote] It’s very original, very gay and has great energy

I’d like to fix you up with my single cousin. He’s got….a really great personality

by Anonymousreply 224April 16, 2022 9:45 PM

Hey, r224, it worked for Mme Pompadour!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225April 16, 2022 9:57 PM

R222. I know it’s not the same as professionally filmed but there’s an excellent bootleg out there.

by Anonymousreply 226April 16, 2022 9:58 PM

NYT

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227April 16, 2022 10:05 PM

It's an audience pictuh...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228April 16, 2022 10:16 PM

The only thing worse than having to sit through A STRANGE LOOP again, would be having to sit through it again from the balcony!

by Anonymousreply 229April 16, 2022 11:08 PM

R187 "So, anyone here know the goss about why Natalie Mendoza who took over as Satine in Broadway's 'Moulin Rouge!' in September is leaving the show in May? Seems weird that she is leaving the production so soon."

I would imagine she had a specific 9 month long contract.

She probably has other gigs coming up and/or she doesn't like to stay in shows longer than that.

Theater life sounds fun and glamorous and "easy" until you find yourself doing the EXACT SAME THING over and over and over again for weeks/months/years.

It's hellishly monotonous.

by Anonymousreply 230April 16, 2022 11:18 PM

Thanks, Kevin.

by Anonymousreply 231April 16, 2022 11:43 PM

Was SJP back today?

by Anonymousreply 232April 17, 2022 12:17 AM

Didn't Natalie Mendoza leave Spiderman: Turn on the Lights early because she was one of the many who got injured by Julie Taymor's poor staging?

by Anonymousreply 233April 17, 2022 12:19 AM

Is Strange Loop related to Passing Strange, because they sound like companion pieces?

by Anonymousreply 234April 17, 2022 12:21 AM

[quote]Is Strange Loop related to Passing Strange, because they sound like companion pieces?

They could be done in rep with Eugene O'Neill's "Strange Interlude."

by Anonymousreply 235April 17, 2022 12:26 AM

A Strange Poop

by Anonymousreply 236April 17, 2022 1:24 AM

does "shocktheatre" remind you of ANNyone?

by Anonymousreply 237April 17, 2022 2:02 AM

Not thevwebmistress Ann. He's got to be an old obnoxious queen, so he surely posts here.

by Anonymousreply 238April 17, 2022 2:20 AM

SHOCKTHEATRE seems intent on responding with an unnecessary and insipid comment on every thread at ATC. How long before he's banned?

by Anonymousreply 239April 17, 2022 2:23 AM

"despite the fact Sondheim constantly encouraged Gerard Alessandrini to "be meaner" in Forbidden Broadway, so he could take a joke."

Except none of the aforementioned "creatives" have Gerard Alessandrini's sense of fun, silly wit or talent.

by Anonymousreply 240April 17, 2022 3:16 AM

Young Babs....so singular.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241April 17, 2022 3:36 AM

Is shocktheatre new to ATC? I never noticed him until last week or so.

What's the deal with MockingbirdGirl? Are they considered obnoxious by most?

by Anonymousreply 242April 17, 2022 3:38 AM

ATCer give his impression of "A Strange Loop":

I was hesitant about buying a ticket to this but when it came up on TDF I thought I would give it a try. I was almost instantly put off by it and my anxiety level kept rising with each succeeding number. I wasn't on an aisle and there was no intermission but I could not stop wanting to get out of that theatre as soon as possible. I was also put off by audience members hooting and hollering. Maybe it's a millennial thing.

by Anonymousreply 243April 17, 2022 3:55 AM

Meanwhile this year’s Pulitzers are coming up in a few weeks. Any guesses on this year’s wokest possible choice to succeed ASL?

by Anonymousreply 244April 17, 2022 4:27 AM

People forget that Strange Loop got a very mixed review in the Times, rightly do. It’s a hot mess.

by Anonymousreply 245April 17, 2022 5:00 AM

Meanwhile, POTUS has smash hit possibilities.

by Anonymousreply 246April 17, 2022 5:05 AM

I find ATC has gone from dotty, mildly pretentious, occasionally cringe-y theatre queens to a bunch of PC, woke, self-important mouthpieces ready to jump on one another over the slightest difference of opinion. I'm not convinced some of these new guys and gals even like theatre or understand it's purpose. It was a quaint affair 10-15 years ago. Now with people like Ryhog, Singapore/Fling and MockingbirdGirl...it's all gone to hell with every post wokesplaining how their view is correct and the offending poster's view is wrong.

by Anonymousreply 247April 17, 2022 6:29 AM

[quote] I find ATC has gone from dotty, mildly pretentious, occasionally cringe-y theatre queens

Nothing like us, thank God!

by Anonymousreply 248April 17, 2022 12:01 PM

shocktheater seems like an elderly queen with too much time on their hands, so will comment on every topic when not dredging up video clips from the distant past.

by Anonymousreply 249April 17, 2022 12:20 PM

[Quote] an elderly queen with too much time on their hands, so will comment on every topic when not dredging up video clips from the distant past

by Anonymousreply 250April 17, 2022 12:54 PM

So far only Chromolume is openly impatient with Shocktheatre, but before long I think many long-time posters will come after him. He's not a harmless old queen. Random posts, including the video clips from out of left field, can get really irritating to people who are trying to have a discussion about...whatever. A person who posts here used to regularly post on the old Sondheim message board about his adventures stalking LuPone. He was harmless, too, but eventually his long-winded posts began to annoy everyone.

by Anonymousreply 251April 17, 2022 3:10 PM

[quote]his adventures stalking LuPone.

Brave soul. LuPone's the type to stalk back.

by Anonymousreply 252April 17, 2022 3:18 PM

I don't follow it very closely, but I can't remember the last time someone got banned on that site. Chekky? Memblatt?

by Anonymousreply 253April 17, 2022 3:24 PM

[Quote] Random posts, including the video clips from out of left field, can get really irritating to people who are trying to have a discussion

by Anonymousreply 254April 17, 2022 3:26 PM

"My anxiety levels kept rising with each number..." WTF is in this show? And what is it with all this Millennial "triggering" bullshit?

by Anonymousreply 255April 17, 2022 3:31 PM

Any Sondheim gossip from now on will be taken with a grain of saltpeter.

by Anonymousreply 256April 17, 2022 3:36 PM

Strangely, there's been almost none since he passed. I was sure there would be tons of juicy gossip. Guess all those earlier stories were just stories.

by Anonymousreply 257April 17, 2022 4:06 PM

When someone is banned from ATC it is not announced.

They simply disappear, never to be heard from again.

by Anonymousreply 258April 17, 2022 4:13 PM

I think the juicy gossip about Sondheim was that he really didn’t have any. By all accounts he was happy with a mostly sexless marriage to Jeff.

by Anonymousreply 259April 17, 2022 4:14 PM

Sounds about right, r259. Anything juicy is likely to be about Jeff.

by Anonymousreply 260April 17, 2022 4:17 PM

How do you know it was "sexless"?

by Anonymousreply 261April 17, 2022 4:19 PM

Pfft. Nobody here knows a damned thing. Particularly whether the marriage was sexless.

by Anonymousreply 262April 17, 2022 4:22 PM

What's wrong with a sexless marriage? It leaves time for other.....uh.....hobbies.

by Anonymousreply 263April 17, 2022 4:27 PM

As someone on DL wisely noted, five years ago, Sondheim probably got fatigued watching Jeff take his clothes off. But he was 61 when he took up with Peter Jones so that might have had some sex to it.

by Anonymousreply 264April 17, 2022 4:27 PM

Mary, you said a mouthful!

by Anonymousreply 265April 17, 2022 4:28 PM

If you read the Secrest biography, there was at least some sex at their first meeting.

by Anonymousreply 266April 17, 2022 4:32 PM

Just watched the CBS Sunday morning piece on "Mr. Saturday Night." Anyone seen it yet. It doesn't look particularly interesting...

by Anonymousreply 267April 17, 2022 4:41 PM

Will we ever see a jukebox musical about Michael Bennett? We've had Jerome Robbins Broadway and Fosse but why not Bennett? His TV work plus his stage work would likely make a great night in the theatre.

by Anonymousreply 268April 17, 2022 4:50 PM

Shock Theatre and Sing/Fling are squaring off over A Strange Loop. Maybe they'll both flounce off in a self righteous huff.

by Anonymousreply 269April 17, 2022 4:52 PM

[Quote] they'll both flounce off in a self righteous huff.

by Anonymousreply 270April 17, 2022 4:54 PM

One more week 'til Funny Girl opens.

by Anonymousreply 271April 17, 2022 4:55 PM

R206, I tried to watch the 1st episode but find it hard to take Jared Leto seriously in anything. It seemed they very quickly established that those two people were idiots and left themselves nowhere to go. Focused on The Dropout instead which is far superior.

by Anonymousreply 272April 17, 2022 5:05 PM

[quote]Will we ever see a jukebox musical about Michael Bennett?

Maybe when Michael gets some Top 40 hits, r268.

by Anonymousreply 273April 17, 2022 5:29 PM

[r261] I assumed since during their relationship Sondheim was 80-90 and Jeff was 30-40 that anal sex was probably out of the question.

by Anonymousreply 274April 17, 2022 5:35 PM

I just don’t see Sondheim as a fudge packer, more of a jizz guzzler.

by Anonymousreply 275April 17, 2022 5:50 PM

Somethings coming I don’t know what it is but it is gonna be great

by Anonymousreply 276April 17, 2022 5:54 PM

70-90 and 20something-40. It can't have been sexless in the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 277April 17, 2022 6:17 PM

20 goes into 80 a hell of a lot more than 80 goes into 20.

by Anonymousreply 278April 17, 2022 6:23 PM

Wasn’t there a part of an old Jewish man in Funny Girl that Billy Crystal could play, he’s better in small doses, very small doses.

by Anonymousreply 279April 17, 2022 6:28 PM

[quote] "My anxiety levels kept rising with each number..." WTF is in this show? And what is it with all this Millennial "triggering" bullshit?

The millennial" thing has to do with the "hooting and hollering" of the audience during the show. It has less to do with the age of the audience and more with the culture of the demographic of the audience, which is used to active participation.

by Anonymousreply 280April 17, 2022 6:39 PM

Keep my balls out yo’ fucking mouth. Keep my balls out yo’ fucking mouth!

by Anonymousreply 281April 17, 2022 7:05 PM

Wrong thread. Don’t even ask.

by Anonymousreply 282April 17, 2022 7:06 PM

Here's the piece r267 is talking about, I love Billy Crystal he seems like a sweet man but this show feels like a miss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283April 17, 2022 7:24 PM

I saw it. It's a semi-talented vanity project.

by Anonymousreply 284April 17, 2022 7:40 PM

Strange Loop is also a semi-talented vanity project.

by Anonymousreply 285April 17, 2022 8:21 PM

Is there such a thing as a Broadway show that is not a vanity project?

by Anonymousreply 286April 17, 2022 8:56 PM

I know that I am in the minority here, but when I saw "Hamilton," that's the first thing that came into my mind, R286. The whole show felt like a major vanity project for Linn Manuel. He's the lead character in a musical, and everyone spends the entire show telling the audience how AMAZING his character is! I spent the whole show laughing and shaking my head at this!

by Anonymousreply 287April 17, 2022 9:06 PM

Could even the Bridge and Tunnel Crowd love Mr. Saturday Night? It looks and sounds beyond dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 288April 17, 2022 9:10 PM

R288, I'm sure Jesse Green already has his knives out.

by Anonymousreply 289April 17, 2022 9:36 PM

But it’s Jason Robert brown!!!

by Anonymousreply 290April 17, 2022 10:22 PM

Jason Robert Brown writes good scores but the shows rarely connect with the audience. What was his last hit?

by Anonymousreply 291April 17, 2022 10:58 PM

Why aren’t we still talking about Jesse Williams pendulous dong?

by Anonymousreply 292April 17, 2022 11:18 PM

I haven't quite recovered after seeing it yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 293April 17, 2022 11:22 PM

Jason Robert Brown is regarded as the preeminent songwriter of his generation by many in musical theater. But he has never had a genuine commercial success.

He has 3 TONYs, at least, and perhaps he's quite happy with a career that resembles Sondheim's more than, say, Sir Andrew's.

by Anonymousreply 294April 18, 2022 12:24 AM

[Quote] a career that resembles Sondheim's

He doesn’t have a [italic] fingernail [/italic] that resembles Sondheim’s

by Anonymousreply 295April 18, 2022 12:33 AM

He’s like the less talented more Jewy writer Sondheim thought little of.

by Anonymousreply 296April 18, 2022 1:06 AM

Big dick though. He has one - and is one.

by Anonymousreply 297April 18, 2022 1:15 AM

I think Sondheim quite liked him.

by Anonymousreply 298April 18, 2022 1:16 AM

Singapore/Fling, ryhog and Mockingbirdgirl never show themselves at ATC parties; they were discussed some years ago there by some of the participants, including one of the moderators, and Mockingbirdgirl was considered really odious and nasty back then I think ryhog and genealley were considered something of jerks back then, and S/F hadn't really started appearing too often yet. Afterwards his reverse racism agenda shit which he forces into nearly every thread, became repetitive and eminently unclickable. The problem is his posts so much, that when you don't click him, you see his red posts among the blue ones you clicked, and he has just posted so much, you almost still notice the asshat and pretty much know what he's doing.

by Anonymousreply 299April 18, 2022 1:21 AM

No one wants to hear about all that chat nonsense here

by Anonymousreply 300April 18, 2022 1:25 AM

No love for Frank Wildhorn?

His Bonnie and Clyde score is a favorite, glad it's being revived.

How 'bout a dance?

by Anonymousreply 301April 18, 2022 2:41 AM

Jason Robert Brown is a wonderful song writer but a horrible musical dramatist. He tends to write songs that work better out of context.

by Anonymousreply 302April 18, 2022 2:47 AM

R297, How do we know about JRB's dick?

by Anonymousreply 303April 18, 2022 2:55 AM

[quote] He has 3 TONYs, at least, and perhaps he's quite happy with a career that resembles Sondheim's more than, say, Sir Andrew's.

Did you really just compare Jason Bobert Crown to Sondheim? I couldn’t tell you about a single Tony he’s gotten. NO ONE IN AMERICA COULD. On top of the fact that he’s throughly average and completely uninteresting or musical, the fact that you would even write his name in the same sentence as Sondheim is preposterous.

But you knew this would get a rise out of everyone here, and that’s why you shit posted like the troll you are.

And btw ATC idiots, NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR LAME WEBSITE. Stop posting that shit here. You’ve been warned before. Knock it off.

by Anonymousreply 304April 18, 2022 3:04 AM

Why didn't Jane Jetson do Broadway?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305April 18, 2022 3:52 AM

Deadline reviews "The Minutes":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306April 18, 2022 4:10 AM

[quote] Did you really just compare Jason Bobert Crown to Sondheim? I couldn’t tell you about a single Tony he’s gotten. NO ONE IN AMERICA COULD. On top of the fact that he’s throughly average and completely uninteresting or musical, the fact that you would even write his name in the same sentence as Sondheim is preposterous.

Wow, overreact much? He only made a comparison in terms of how JRB's career veered more towards the Sondheim trajectory that the Lloyd-Webber one.

by Anonymousreply 307April 18, 2022 4:32 AM

Sondheim did like Brown initially but there's a famous story about an incident after a show after which Sondheim kept his distance. I can't remember it exactly--someone here should know.

At any rate what I remember is something like Brown invited Sondheim to one of his shows and they met afterwards. They talked but Sondheim never mentioned the show. Finally Brown chided him and told him he should be praising the show and Brown's work. Sondheim was offended.

Or something like that. Does anyone know the incident I'm talking about?

by Anonymousreply 308April 18, 2022 5:05 AM

It culminated in Sondheim hitting Brown in the head with a fondue pot, r308.

by Anonymousreply 309April 18, 2022 5:12 AM

Then he kicked him in the cunt bone.

by Anonymousreply 310April 18, 2022 5:21 AM

Apparently Brown cheats on his wife constantly.

by Anonymousreply 311April 18, 2022 5:37 AM

Yeah, this is DATALOUNGE, bitches! Not the fucking water cooler at All That Chat. Fuck off already.

by Anonymousreply 312April 18, 2022 10:12 AM

The first time I saw JRB, it was a reading of one of his works with him at the piano. He was constantly taking focus from the performers by drumming on the piano and other annoying things, and it was fairly obvious that he was a attention seeking asshole. Lo these many years later, my opinion hasn't changed.

by Anonymousreply 313April 18, 2022 10:55 AM

The story is somewhat right but backwards. Jason went to a Sondheim show and didn’t discuss the show with Sondheim afterwards and Sondheim was OFFENDED and read Brown the riot act about being a “good friend” and even when a show is not your taste, you still be a “good friend” and say you liked it.

Sondheim was kinda think skinned about his own stuff and at the same time loved to criticize your work!

by Anonymousreply 314April 18, 2022 10:55 AM

The story about Sondheim and zbrowj is the reverse. JRB got a comp to an unspecified show and was critical of it. At any rate, they both got over it - they did a show together in 2019.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315April 18, 2022 10:56 AM

Hello, r304, with your bombast and threats to the rest of us. Are you someone we should care about?

by Anonymousreply 316April 18, 2022 12:03 PM

He didn't get a comp to an unspecified show. Sondheim arranged tickets for Brown and a friend to see one of his shows and invited him to meet afterward. It didn't go very well and Hal Prince brokered a truce.

by Anonymousreply 317April 18, 2022 12:07 PM

Came across this and it was a bit of a revelation. While he was playing Evan Hansen, Andrew Barth Feldman's mother and hs Head of School died. He decided to help fund the renovation of the Performing Arts Facility to be named after her. Because it had to be done virtually, he assembled young Broadway and Disney performers to appear at the fundraiser. Here is their song. It really is nicely done, but I was taken with the very weak voice of pop sensation Olivia Roderigo ( 3rd singer) whom I thought was just a hs classmate, and the rather annoying voice of Taylor Trensch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318April 18, 2022 12:13 PM

Which show is holding off until the "Tony Nominations" to see when they'll announce their closing date.....as if it is 1988 and Tony nominations matter.

by Anonymousreply 319April 18, 2022 12:53 PM

I saw that joint appearance of SS and JRB (at Town Hall) and Sondheim was pretty frail. But he did perform a JRB song and vice versa and it was sweet. Sondheim previously had lauded "I Love Betsy" from Honeymoon in Vegas as a song he admired. IIRC, Brown made it sound as if Sondheim had called it his favorite song ever.

by Anonymousreply 320April 18, 2022 12:58 PM

I want to hear more about JRB's cheating big dick than any of his shows. I heard one of the biggest on Broadway, before Jesse Williams, was that handsome guy - Stephen -something who is (or was) a theater mgr.

by Anonymousreply 321April 18, 2022 1:07 PM

Sondheim was unsteady physically following that fall where he tore the ligaments in his leg, so "frail" in that sense, but he was still in pretty decent shape and mentally was as sharp as ever.

by Anonymousreply 322April 18, 2022 1:13 PM

R321, Bigger than Patrick Wilson? Bigger than Jason Danieley? Bigger than Daniel Reichard?

by Anonymousreply 323April 18, 2022 1:27 PM

As I understand it, Sondheim was sharp as a tack right up until the end. Thank god. So many of the brightest people I know are the ones who succumb to dementia in old age and it just so especially cruel.

by Anonymousreply 324April 18, 2022 2:27 PM

Bigger than Rex Smith?

by Anonymousreply 325April 18, 2022 3:10 PM

Jason Danieley??

by Anonymousreply 326April 18, 2022 3:24 PM

R326, Majorly hung.

by Anonymousreply 327April 18, 2022 3:29 PM

Hilarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328April 18, 2022 3:52 PM

[quote]Which show is holding off until the "Tony Nominations" to see when they'll announce their closing date.....as if it is 1988 and Tony nominations matter.

I don't know, but I believe "Paradise Square" is scheduled to recommence performances tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 329April 18, 2022 3:58 PM

RIP Hollis Resnick. One of the greats.

by Anonymousreply 330April 18, 2022 4:06 PM

A huge loss, r350

by Anonymousreply 331April 18, 2022 4:10 PM

Hollis was the real deal.

by Anonymousreply 332April 18, 2022 4:41 PM

Paradise Square and Company are both troubled at the box office. I expect Company will win revival but that won’t save it. Paradise will try to hold on but won’t make it either.

by Anonymousreply 333April 18, 2022 4:50 PM

Here are the national tours coming to San Francisco in 2022-23, courtesy of BroadwaySF: Jagged Little Pill, Frozen, Beetlejuice, Dear Evan Hansen, Mean Girls, Six and Tina. Yeesh... I'll pass, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 334April 18, 2022 5:57 PM

What's the problem with that line up? If you're supposed to bring all the newest shows, that's the list! I think the only one missing is MOULIN.

by Anonymousreply 335April 18, 2022 6:12 PM

Hasn't DEH pretty much toured already? Does anyone want to see another round of it?

by Anonymousreply 336April 18, 2022 6:15 PM

San Francisco is a backward theatre town.

by Anonymousreply 337April 18, 2022 6:16 PM

Having only read about her here, I had no idea Beanie had such a rabid fan club. Do not criticize anything about Funny Girl or you’ll get Beyhive levels of rage. If this is where Broadway is headed then so be it. Popular culture is at death’s door, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 338April 18, 2022 6:19 PM

[quote]San Francisco is a backward theatre town

In what way, r337?

by Anonymousreply 339April 18, 2022 6:24 PM

Those are all national tours coming to SF, so if SF's a "backward theatre town" so are all the other cities those tours are going to. All those shows, to me, seem targeted to screeching theatre kids. Where are the shows for grownups? (OK, SF did have The Band's Visit tour here recently.)

by Anonymousreply 340April 18, 2022 6:48 PM

[quote]so if SF's a "backward theatre town" so are all the other cities those tours are going to

New Yorkers nodding their heads right now

by Anonymousreply 341April 18, 2022 6:51 PM

Please, even LA is a backward theater town.

by Anonymousreply 342April 18, 2022 6:53 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343April 18, 2022 6:56 PM

Did anyone else know they took that play, The Play that Goes Wrong, and made holiday specials and a TV show out of it in the UK? It seemed to do quite well on Broadway, but is was like Chinese food, fine while you were at it, but hours later no memory of it.

by Anonymousreply 344April 18, 2022 6:57 PM

I feel bad for Company. It opened at the height of the pandemic Omnicron. It weathered every cast member being out sick, but will ultimately shutter. On the bright side that will free LuPone up to do more work

by Anonymousreply 345April 18, 2022 7:03 PM

66 is no age.

by Anonymousreply 346April 18, 2022 7:19 PM

r344 Not just the TV shows, but the same company has done six shows in the West End, all in the same vein

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347April 18, 2022 7:24 PM

I want to see the Minutes, if only for Blair Brown.

by Anonymousreply 348April 18, 2022 7:29 PM

R122, Headley certainly had a working soprano range when she did DO RE MI at Encores! decades ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 349April 18, 2022 7:33 PM

Marin Mazzie…Rebecca Luker…Hollis Resnick….

Kellie? You in danger, gurl.

by Anonymousreply 350April 18, 2022 7:37 PM

Austin Pendleton was my favorite part of The Minutes. He made me laugh outloud. Blair Brown was great but she barely had anything to do. Same with Jessie Mueller, And I don't think Sally Murphy even had a line.

The craziest part of The Minutes - which the NYTimes review touches on - is that the audience was laughing their asses off during the offensive reenactment of the town's battle with the Native Americans. As it was going on and the audience was hysterical (and even clapped when it was done), I was like "well damn this is crazy?" Then by the end - the play shames everyone about it - but still felt off how funny people found it in the moment. The NYTimes pointed out that if some Native Americans were in the audience they would probably be extremely disturbed, but the audience is largely white - so whatever.

Did anyone else who saw it notice that? I don't know if my night was just off - I didn't find the reenactment funny at all (not because I'm some woke SJW, but because it was stupid and obnoxious and clearly designed to be offensive). Did anyone else experience an audience who found it so funny?

by Anonymousreply 351April 18, 2022 7:44 PM

Company had a decent run, 8 months, considering it's been revived plenty, had a gimmick a lot of people were not thrilled with, a leading lady who is not terribly good in the role, and the fact that anyone can rent the 2011 version and see Patti play the role from the comfort of their own homes and avoid Covid risk and watching the show with a mask on.

I'm not sure who was expecting this thing to run much longer.

by Anonymousreply 352April 18, 2022 7:52 PM

Could someone who has seen THE MINUTES kindly reveal the big surprise ending, please? I don't intend to see it but, I'm sure like many others here, are curious.

TIA!

by Anonymousreply 353April 18, 2022 8:03 PM

No, Hollis...you aren't.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354April 18, 2022 8:04 PM

Hollis was very nice.

by Anonymousreply 355April 18, 2022 8:08 PM

[quote] Omnicron

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 356April 18, 2022 8:10 PM

[quote] Bigger than Daniel Reichard?

Wait tell us more, always thought he was cute

by Anonymousreply 357April 18, 2022 8:12 PM

R353 the town is founded on some ridiculous story about the white people beating the native americans in a battle based on the native americans capturing some white woman from her parents and they all went to go get her back and were victorious. It turns out it was the reverse (gasp) - the townspeople actually invaded the native american village for no reason and murdered all their women and children while the men were off on a hunting trip. One of the council members finds this out by finding a descendant of the native americans and reading her mother's oral history of what happened. He wants to publicly apologize and tell the real story. The other council members proceed to kick him off the council and then hide THE MINUTES of that council meeting to cover it up. But Noah Reid uncovers it all because he's all wide-eyed and curious and Jessie Mueller is a clerk who secretly kept THE MINUTES. Noah Reid threatens to expose them all and leaves but then returns because the Mayor (played by Tracy Letts) basically threatens him and his family and gives a Trumpy speech about how you need to look out for your own. The play ends with the entire council breaking into an extended tribal dance (which is extremely awkward - they are beating their chests and grunting and it goes on for quite some time) and then they pass around blood (yes blood) and smear it all over their faces. Get it? Because they are covered in the blood of the native Americans.

My row refused to stand up during curtain call but most of the theater stood.

by Anonymousreply 358April 18, 2022 8:17 PM

Wait! COMPANY is closing??

by Anonymousreply 359April 18, 2022 8:25 PM

R349, Headley does sing two or three notes in her soprano register in that recording from the DO-RE-MI album, and they sound fine, but hitting a few notes in isolation like that is not the same as singing "I'll Know" or "I've Never Been in Love Before" in GUYS AND DOLLS as written. I still wonder if she could sing those songs the way they're supposed to be sung, but I really have no idea, because she's almost never called upon to use her soprano register.

by Anonymousreply 360April 18, 2022 8:27 PM

r358 you just saved me some $$$$

by Anonymousreply 361April 18, 2022 8:28 PM

R357, God blessed him with an impressive tool....... and he's a top.

by Anonymousreply 362April 18, 2022 8:35 PM

R357, Photos of him leaked a while back, including a full frontal that is easily verified by moles, chest hair, etc. Daniel has an impressive, large cock.

by Anonymousreply 363April 18, 2022 8:55 PM

I need to see it!

by Anonymousreply 364April 18, 2022 8:56 PM

damn. wish I'd have seen. If anyone has anything to share or suggestions on where to look....

by Anonymousreply 365April 18, 2022 8:57 PM

I would also love to see the DR nudes :-)

by Anonymousreply 366April 18, 2022 9:19 PM

I need Daniel inside me quite deeply.

And all the other big dicked actors listed upthread too.....

by Anonymousreply 367April 18, 2022 9:21 PM

Where will those shows be in San Francisco? At the Schubert Theatre? Ah yes.....a lovely theatre untouched by the earthquake - or should I say.....fire?

by Anonymousreply 368April 18, 2022 10:10 PM

[quote] damn. wish I'd have seen. If anyone has anything to share or suggestions on where to look....

ask Barrett Foa.

by Anonymousreply 369April 18, 2022 10:14 PM

r359, No, Company is not closing. r352, who claimed "Company had a decent run, 8 months..." is evidently posting from the future, since Company has only been running 4 months--or 5 with previews. (A closing notice in August when it actually has been running 8 months? Maybe not too surprising. I don't see it playing this time next year, but it's not on death's door right now.)

r333 was fearmongering. Company is still clearing 800k a week (other than when Patti had Covid) with a capacity % in the 80s; Paradise Square has yet to clear $400k, with an average ticket price of less than $50. Calling them both "troubled at the box office" is like comparing someone with a cold to someone in a coma with pneumonia. Both may be unwell, but the degrees of sickness are so vastly different the comparison is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 370April 18, 2022 10:16 PM

[quote] No, Company is not closing. [R352], who claimed "Company had a decent run, 8 months..." is evidently posting from the future, since Company has only been running 4 months--or 5 with previews.

I could have been more specific, yes, but I was responding to the person who implied it would likely close shortly after the Tony Awards, which would make it 8 months. Nov 2021-June 2022.

by Anonymousreply 371April 18, 2022 10:20 PM

Can someone who saw The Minutes reveal if Noah seemed short, tall or somewhere in the middle?

by Anonymousreply 372April 18, 2022 10:26 PM

Short r372

by Anonymousreply 373April 18, 2022 10:32 PM

^^^ You might be able to tell from his new streaming series on Amazon Prime, OUTER RANGE.

by Anonymousreply 374April 18, 2022 10:33 PM

They don't hate each other!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 375April 18, 2022 10:34 PM

I would guess Reid is 5’7, maybe even 5’6

by Anonymousreply 376April 18, 2022 10:38 PM

And Dan Levy is about that wide.

by Anonymousreply 377April 18, 2022 10:39 PM

I’m surprised. For someone who was known for doing lots of musicals, Hollis Resnik has a very mediocre voice..

by Anonymousreply 378April 18, 2022 10:45 PM

I saw her in the musical version of Wings at the Public in 1993. The show was wonderful, as was the cast. I wish it would have moved.

by Anonymousreply 379April 18, 2022 10:46 PM

[quote] I saw her in the musical version of Wings at the Public in 1993. The show was wonderful, as was the cast. I wish it would have moved.

Was that based on the silent movie or the Kopit play?

by Anonymousreply 380April 18, 2022 10:57 PM

The Kopit play.

by Anonymousreply 381April 18, 2022 11:00 PM

The only Sondheim musical that did well was A Little Night Music with CZJ. Say what you will, but she sold that show. Sondheim was right to say that LuPone is well known in theatre but she isn’t a star.

I’m in the camp that I would rather see LuPone then Catherine, but facts are facts.

by Anonymousreply 382April 18, 2022 11:08 PM

Whens Andy Randells in the Waitress show?

by Anonymousreply 383April 18, 2022 11:19 PM

is he going into Waitress? As what?

by Anonymousreply 384April 18, 2022 11:21 PM

I saw CZJ in previews (before the demons took over) and she was wonderful. If we’re ever cursed with another revival of Gypsy I hope she plays Rose. She could also play Phyllis if the Follies movie ever gets made.

by Anonymousreply 385April 18, 2022 11:37 PM

[quote]She could also play Phyllis if the Follies movie ever gets made

Waiting for the "only as Young Phyllis" joke.

by Anonymousreply 386April 18, 2022 11:41 PM

Dear r358, thank you so much for THE MINUTES spoiler. I think you've saved a lot of us some unneeded spending.

Yikes, it sounds just awful, Poor Blair Brown.

by Anonymousreply 387April 18, 2022 11:44 PM

Keep waiting.

by Anonymousreply 388April 18, 2022 11:44 PM

I actually think CZJ was great most nights except for Tony Award night. I don’t know if it was nerves, camera blocking, Trim Spa, a righteous pre-show fuck from Michael, but something made that performance a shitshow

by Anonymousreply 389April 18, 2022 11:49 PM

Patti may not be a huge star, but she's enough of one that she's pretty much keeping the show afloat. It's pretty clear when you see how much the grosses cratered when she was out with Covid, from $792k the week before, to $515k the week she was out, to $830k when she returned. It was the lowest grossing week to date by far.

But it really would have helped if they'd gotten a bigger name in the lead, someone who's a star with a different demographic, or just in general. Because, yeah, Patti can only get them so far herself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 390April 18, 2022 11:59 PM

[quote] I don’t know if it was nerves, camera blocking, Trim Spa, a righteous pre-show fuck from Michael, but something made that performance a shitshow

The recent news that her vagina gave her husband throat cancer threw her off. It happens.

by Anonymousreply 391April 19, 2022 12:04 AM

Speaking of which, Lenk is going to be on Seth Meyers' show on Thursday singing "Being Alive"...and I have to wonder if that's really going to help sell tickets. It's such a serious number, especially the way she plays it. Seems like they might have gone with something more fun? But all the sets might have made that impossible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 392April 19, 2022 12:06 AM

Uh, that "speaking of which" was meant to follow r390. I didn't mean to connect CZJ's vagina nor MD's throat cancer to KL.

by Anonymousreply 393April 19, 2022 12:07 AM

Nothing is gonna help that thing sell tickets. However, they may as well get something out of Lenk to justify her salary.

by Anonymousreply 394April 19, 2022 12:08 AM

Showcasing those ugly ass Company sets on Seth Myers would only keep audiences away, much like Lenk's singing.

If they want to feature Lenk on TV they should do "Barcelona" with Claybourne Elder in his tighty whities and a simple bed. That might actually sell some tickets.

by Anonymousreply 395April 19, 2022 12:12 AM

If we got big-dicked Danny Reinhard to fuck Clay on TV, that would def sell some tix.

by Anonymousreply 396April 19, 2022 12:19 AM

Clearly they should have cast box office draw Pam Anderson as Bobbi.

by Anonymousreply 397April 19, 2022 12:24 AM

I heard a newer audio of Lenk singing Being Alive and she sounded much better than back in previews. Maybe she's pulled a Bernadette in Gypsy and gotten better throughout the run.

by Anonymousreply 398April 19, 2022 12:26 AM

Reid - big dick?

by Anonymousreply 399April 19, 2022 12:57 AM

I thought we were talking about cocks

by Anonymousreply 400April 19, 2022 12:59 AM

[Quote] heard a newer audio of Lenk singing Being Alive and she sounded much better than back in previews.

Previews pre COVID or this year? She had 2 years to practice if you heard her in the before times

by Anonymousreply 401April 19, 2022 1:04 AM

If they’re going to be on Seth Myers, they should do Getting Married Today, it’s a fun number. I know nothing about Matt Doyle’s rendition, but he’s cute and could sell some tickets. They could still bring Lenk out for a chat segment.

by Anonymousreply 402April 19, 2022 1:06 AM

{quote]Where will those shows be in San Francisco? At the Schubert Theatre?

"Addison," you gave yourself away by misspelling Shubert. That was a stupid mistake, unworthy of you!

by Anonymousreply 403April 19, 2022 1:09 AM

[quote]Where will those shows be in San Francisco? At the Schubert Theatre? Ah yes.....a lovely theatre untouched by the earthquake - or should I say.....fire?

The Shubert Theatre has no C. That was a stupid lie, easy to expose, not worthy of you!

by Anonymousreply 404April 19, 2022 1:09 AM

Your too short for that gesture, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 405April 19, 2022 1:47 AM

Speaking of All About Eve...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406April 19, 2022 1:54 AM

Aurora S. is back...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 407April 19, 2022 2:20 AM

In follow-up to R375, another reunion:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 408April 19, 2022 2:44 AM

R408 Hissssssssss!

by Anonymousreply 409April 19, 2022 2:51 AM

[398] would you be a lamb and fill in this Sondheim fan as to where you heard the audio? I’ve checked my usual places and found Lupone’s Lunch several places but not Lenk

by Anonymousreply 410April 19, 2022 3:03 AM

[r398] that is

by Anonymousreply 411April 19, 2022 3:04 AM

I saw Sutton do MILLIE in LaJolla. You watched a star emerge before you. It was thrilling.

by Anonymousreply 412April 19, 2022 3:15 AM

Kind of like April's butterfly monologue

by Anonymousreply 413April 19, 2022 3:19 AM

[quote]I saw Sutton do MILLIE in LaJolla. You watched a star emerge before you. It was thrilling.

I saw that production, too, and I found her performance off-putting in an extremely aggressive "LOVE ME!!!!!!" way. But, apparently, some people respond very well to that.

Of course, that show was a cobbled-together mess, so I imagine it would have been difficult for anyone to be charming in the title role.

by Anonymousreply 414April 19, 2022 3:48 AM

[quote] But, apparently, some people respond very well to that.

And some people dedicate their entire lives to obsessing over her career.

by Anonymousreply 415April 19, 2022 4:11 AM

When will we see Andy Randells back on astage?

by Anonymousreply 416April 19, 2022 4:16 AM

[quote]—Minnie M Fisk

If you knew anything about the legitimate theater, you would know it's spelled Minnie Maddern Fiske.

by Anonymousreply 417April 19, 2022 5:45 AM

Man oh man. ATC's shocktheatre is being a royal cunt to everyone debating amplification on Broadway. Guess what, shock: Babs herself was mic'd in 'Funny Girl'. Yeap. In 1964! The wiring for it was actually built into the costumes.

Hell, there have been stage ('shotgun') mics in use since the 50's. Even the Merm had a boost in Gypsy (not that she needed it!) It's nothing new. Yes, Beanie might be over-amplified. Yes, her voice is still strident and cloying loud or soft. But to pretend amplification is something remotely new, is just a crock.

Someone needs to tear these new ATC kids a new one.

by Anonymousreply 418April 19, 2022 7:05 AM

r418, see r300

by Anonymousreply 419April 19, 2022 7:13 AM

r323 don’t forget me. Deedle deedle deedle dum,

by Anonymousreply 420April 19, 2022 7:17 AM

I do not get the appeal of ATC.

The format is like a time warp back 15 years.

So clunky and awkward.

by Anonymousreply 421April 19, 2022 8:09 AM

Who exactly is the audience for Strange Loop, the big-ass, queer musical of fatty self-loathing, anal sex and AIDS pageantry?

by Anonymousreply 422April 19, 2022 9:34 AM

AOC

by Anonymousreply 423April 19, 2022 9:40 AM

Thank you r419.

by Anonymousreply 424April 19, 2022 11:01 AM

I liked some moments in A Strange Loop, but you would have to pay me to sit through it again. It’s a slog.

by Anonymousreply 425April 19, 2022 12:58 PM

Yes I wouldn't sit through A Strange Loop again but I'm glad I saw it. At least it's something original and not some compilation of a pop star's music or Disney or a revival.

by Anonymousreply 426April 19, 2022 1:08 PM

I heard a few excerpts on a New Yorker story and it sounds like it's one of those scores where nothing really rhymes, right - they're all "near" rhymes, supposedly more modern but really just lazy.

by Anonymousreply 427April 19, 2022 1:12 PM

Daniel Reichard is not hung. He’s average. And it doesn’t matter because he’s a huge sloppy bottom. I’ve seen him getting railed by multiple guys. DL’s fantasies are always hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 428April 19, 2022 1:22 PM

R428 - Stevie Wonder.

by Anonymousreply 429April 19, 2022 1:29 PM

Thank you R403 & R405. I knew I should have looked it up......and not counted on Miss Caswell for the correct spelling.

by Anonymousreply 430April 19, 2022 1:55 PM

But of course there is NO S[c]hubert Theatre in San Francisco - so perhaps it can be spelled either way.

by Anonymousreply 431April 19, 2022 1:57 PM

r300 doesn't speak for everyone, r419/r424

by Anonymousreply 432April 19, 2022 2:04 PM

r300 certainly speaks for me.

by Anonymousreply 433April 19, 2022 2:14 PM

Let us know what else we're not allowed to discuss, r433.

by Anonymousreply 434April 19, 2022 2:19 PM

Not a problem r434!

by Anonymousreply 435April 19, 2022 2:22 PM

A Strange Loop also makes very heavy-handed knocks on white gays without ever really explaining why. The main character seems to blame white gay men for his self-loathing as much as he blames the anti-gay evangelicals. Sort of sick of that bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 436April 19, 2022 2:23 PM

[quote]The DL can NEVER have too many dicks.

You're one too many, r436.

by Anonymousreply 437April 19, 2022 2:24 PM

R436: He's pissed because most didn't want to fuck him. Can you blame them?!?! Time to even the score from the stage of the Lyceum.

by Anonymousreply 438April 19, 2022 2:30 PM

How would you know about Danieley?

by Anonymousreply 439April 19, 2022 2:31 PM

he doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 440April 19, 2022 2:32 PM

[quote] I’ve seen him getting railed by multiple guys

Where was this??

by Anonymousreply 441April 19, 2022 3:03 PM

[quote] Let us know what else we're not allowed to discuss

Clever comeback.

by Anonymousreply 442April 19, 2022 3:04 PM

Did Broadway World delete the "Funny Girl" thread?

It was pretty long. Now, it only has two posts.

I wonder if this was done to protect the show from bad word of mouth.

by Anonymousreply 443April 19, 2022 3:16 PM

NOTHING is protecting FG from bad word of mouth. Not while Twitter and FB exist.

by Anonymousreply 444April 19, 2022 3:23 PM

DL should have a live review-reading party on Sunday night. Saucers of milk and Little Friskies for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 445April 19, 2022 3:27 PM

I honestly expect the reviews to be softballs.

by Anonymousreply 446April 19, 2022 3:28 PM

I think the reviews will be softballs, too.

Critics will be terrified of being canceled for fat-shaming.

by Anonymousreply 447April 19, 2022 3:35 PM

Ramin's interview in which he praises Beanie as someone like Fanny who "pulled herself up by the bootstraps" is hilarious. Does he live in a different universe? She would be nothing without her family's money and influence. And she's NOT a movie star; she has never carried a film.

by Anonymousreply 448April 19, 2022 3:39 PM

[quote] And she's NOT a movie star; she has never carried a film.

I don't disagree but why is DL or at least a vocal minority so worked up about it?

by Anonymousreply 449April 19, 2022 4:03 PM

Because she's being shoved down our throats?

by Anonymousreply 450April 19, 2022 4:25 PM

That’s incorrect, R448, she absolutely carried the film How to Build a Girl. It was all about her central character and she was excellent in it.

by Anonymousreply 451April 19, 2022 4:25 PM

[quote] Because she's being shoved down our throats?

You never objected to that before

by Anonymousreply 452April 19, 2022 4:46 PM

[quote]Did Broadway World delete the "Funny Girl" thread? It was pretty long. Now, it only has two posts.

I don't know what you're looking at R443. It's 51 pages long from what I can see.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 453April 19, 2022 4:59 PM

[quote]Yes, Beanie might be over-amplified. Yes, her voice is still strident and cloying loud or soft. But to pretend amplification is something remotely new, is just a crock.

Is someone on ATC actually saying that (over) amplification on Broadway via body mics is recent, or even fairly recent? If so, what an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 454April 19, 2022 5:01 PM

[quote]Ramin's interview in which he praises Beanie as someone like Fanny who "pulled herself up by the bootstraps" is hilarious. Does he live in a different universe? She would be nothing without her family's money and influence.

Yeah, well, I don't think his intelligence level has ever been considered as one of his most impressive qualities.

by Anonymousreply 455April 19, 2022 5:03 PM

There is confusion over at ATC about sound amplification and sound enhancement. They are 2 different things. Posters are accusing FG of the later.

by Anonymousreply 456April 19, 2022 5:04 PM

[quote] That’s incorrect, [R448], she absolutely carried the film How to Build a Girl. It was all about her central character and she was excellent in it.

Really? You didn't think her Brit accent was just this side of terrible?

Because it was.

by Anonymousreply 457April 19, 2022 5:06 PM

[quote]There is confusion over at ATC about sound amplification and sound enhancement. They are 2 different things. Posters are accusing FG of the later.

In what way do they think the sound is "enhanced?" Are they saying that Beanie's singing is somehow being auto-tuned during live performance? And/or are they saying some of it is pre-recorded?

by Anonymousreply 458April 19, 2022 5:08 PM

[quote]I honestly expect the reviews to be softballs.

I'm convinced that there will be some softballs, but I the think her vocal problems (including going off-key at times and sounding out of breath occasionally) are too obvious to be ignored by every critic.

by Anonymousreply 459April 19, 2022 5:14 PM

R450-Fat chance.

by Anonymousreply 460April 19, 2022 5:17 PM

R470, I would love it if that were the title of one of the reviews.

“FAT CHANCE: Beanie Gets Her Big Broadway Break”

by Anonymousreply 461April 19, 2022 5:39 PM

R461 perhaps our next thread title?

by Anonymousreply 462April 19, 2022 6:22 PM

R448/R457, her accent (terrible or not) isn’t the point. The point is you were WRONG about her never carrying a film.

by Anonymousreply 463April 19, 2022 7:02 PM

I'm not the one who said it. I just made the comment about her accent.

by Anonymousreply 464April 19, 2022 7:05 PM

[quote]A Strange Loop also makes very heavy-handed knocks on white gays without ever really explaining why.

Much more of the same in the Off-Broadway play "To My Girls", or whatever the fuck it's called. I read it a few months ago and its entire message is "White Is Bad". It's beyond awful...I'm seeing it tomorrow!

Re: Funny Girl- How is it that the casting of two non-white actors to portray real life white characters is "stunning & brave" on the stage, but if this were done in a film where two white actors were playing non-white real life characters, heads would explode? I'm sure Ramin Karimloo is fine, but as a Jewish White New Yorker, and the black actor Peter Francis James playing...Florenz Ziegfeld? I think they both should have declined rather than "taking jobs away" from deserving caucasian actors. I mean, come ON!

by Anonymousreply 465April 19, 2022 7:07 PM

Also, R463, carrying a film really means that she was successful. That film was a bomb that almost no one saw, so she really hasn't been successful at being a movie star, which was R448's point (not to explain for you, R448). There are many people who were given lead roles in films who were not successful. Beanie is not a leading actress. She can't carry a film. Her two starring roles thus far have been flops. I actually think she can be effective in films. She was fine in Booksmart, in Lady Bird, in The Humans. For some reason, she doesn't grate on film the way she does onstage, much like Glenn Close. But Beanie has not yet proven she can successfully carry a project.

by Anonymousreply 466April 19, 2022 7:10 PM

[quote]Also, [R463], carrying a film really means that she was successful. That film was a bomb that almost no one saw, so she really hasn't been successful at being a movie star, which was [R448]'s point

For what it's worth, I've literally never even heard of HOW TO BUILD A GIRL, let alone having any idea of how successful or unsuccessful it was. But I guess that sort of answers that question.

[quote]Beanie is not a leading actress. She can't carry a film. Her two starring roles thus far have been flops. I actually think she can be effective in films. She was fine in Booksmart, in Lady Bird, in The Humans. For some reason, she doesn't grate on film the way she does onstage, much like Glenn Close.

Good observation, and I think it's partly because Beanie's thin voice becomes very screechy and unpleasant when she tries to project it in a theater.

by Anonymousreply 467April 19, 2022 7:27 PM

For fuck’s sake, the fact is she was HIRED TO CARRY A FILM. Her accent in it or that it didn’t make any money has nothing to do with it. Jesus, just admit you were wrong to claim she never carried a film, R448.

by Anonymousreply 468April 19, 2022 7:38 PM

R468, I don't know why you're getting so upset when you and R448 are obviously arguing two different points. You are correct that Beanie was hired to carry a film -- one I've never heard of -- but R448 is pointing out that she was NOT successful in doing so.

by Anonymousreply 469April 19, 2022 7:46 PM

How to Build a Girl is a Muriel’s Wedding type movie and it’s actually quite good and Beanie is very charming in it. For anyone who wNts to see FG without BF I believe her understudy will be on for a few performances next week after the opening. Not sure of the exact dates or why B will be out.

by Anonymousreply 470April 19, 2022 7:46 PM

R470, if you're correct that Beanie has some scheduled absences from FUNNY GIRL the week after the opening, that's incredible. What is your source for "believing" this is going to happen?

by Anonymousreply 471April 19, 2022 7:53 PM

R428, I have Daniel Reichard's naked pics, sweetie, and if that's an average size cock, then we're all in trouble.

by Anonymousreply 472April 19, 2022 8:06 PM

r471, not r470, but it's not exactly insider information. It's on SeatGeek's website for April 29, April 30, and May 1.

"Casting Alert

The role of Fanny Brice will not be played by Beanie Feldstein at this performance. "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 473April 19, 2022 8:06 PM

I'm not r470 but I believe the various ticket sites all announce the dates that Beanie will not be performing (when they are pre-scheduled).

by Anonymousreply 474April 19, 2022 8:07 PM

Thanks, R473, but I didn't say it was "insider information," and regardless, I still find it incredible that Beanie would have THREE scheduled absences the week after opening. I mean, really incredible, and probably unprecedented.

by Anonymousreply 475April 19, 2022 8:14 PM

Fanny standby Julie Benko posted the dates on her instagram. April 29-May 1st. Also Aug 26-28 if the show is still running.

by Anonymousreply 476April 19, 2022 8:21 PM

Does Beanie need time off to accept some Lifetime Achievement Award?

by Anonymousreply 477April 19, 2022 8:29 PM

The Funny Girl cast is doing that silly curtain call thing at every performance?

by Anonymousreply 478April 19, 2022 8:31 PM

Beanie should have done a new musical version of Georgy Girl and not Funny Girl.

by Anonymousreply 479April 19, 2022 8:39 PM

When is Lens Dunham taking over the roll of Fancy Brise?

by Anonymousreply 480April 19, 2022 9:08 PM

Is anyone going to How I Learned to Drive tonight?

by Anonymousreply 481April 19, 2022 9:10 PM

Lens is more of a Strakosh.

by Anonymousreply 482April 19, 2022 9:10 PM

[quote]Thanks, [R473], but I didn't say it was "insider information," and

No, but the tone of your post was disbelief, that 473 was making it up. It was announced from the moment the tickets went on sale, so it’s pre-existing. Maybe that’s when they’re filming the next segment of Merrily We Roll Along?

by Anonymousreply 483April 19, 2022 9:11 PM

[quote] Is anyone going to How I Learned to Drive tonight?

No, but I saw it over the weekend, and thought it was sensational. Mary Louise Parker, David Morse and Johanna Day are all remarkable. I would think the critics are going to rave about it.

by Anonymousreply 484April 19, 2022 9:44 PM

Her voice is beautiful but god she’s irritating.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 485April 19, 2022 9:45 PM

Honestly, Rachel Bloom probably would've been the next logical choice outside Lea Michele. Great pipes and solid comedy/sketch chops.

by Anonymousreply 486April 19, 2022 10:11 PM

I would happily watch Reichard getting fucked by a group of guys. Although he’s married, right?

by Anonymousreply 487April 19, 2022 10:26 PM

r487, Yes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 488April 19, 2022 10:36 PM

If the show is a hit and Beanie doesn’t finish the run, is it possible Lea would be asked, and would agree, to come in as the replacement Fanny?

by Anonymousreply 489April 19, 2022 11:01 PM

They would never ask her, r489.

by Anonymousreply 490April 19, 2022 11:20 PM

She's back on Briadway!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 491April 19, 2022 11:25 PM

I still think Annaleigh Ashford would have made a brilliant Fanny Brice.

by Anonymousreply 492April 19, 2022 11:34 PM

[quote]For fuck’s sake, the fact is she was HIRED TO CARRY A FILM.

"Carry a film' (synonym: open a movie) means one thing and it's not 'have a lead role'.

It means "put butt$ in $eats". Well, did she?

by Anonymousreply 493April 19, 2022 11:58 PM

The Beanie onslaught will not be denied!!! Resistance is futile!!! Actually, I think little Beanster is the star this era deserves.

by Anonymousreply 494April 20, 2022 12:35 AM

Beanie is not box office. She has no real track record of putting butts in seats... in anything.

Lea Michele may well be the world's worst, shallowest, meanest person... but she IS box office. She still has huge name recognition and a following... namely, the younger ticket-buyers who all grew up with GLEE. (And those who saw SPRING AWAKENING.) Lea would sell tickets, even now.

by Anonymousreply 495April 20, 2022 12:35 AM

For chrissakes, Liza could only get a run of 87 performances out of Flora.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 496April 20, 2022 1:00 AM

[quote] Liza could only get a run of 87 performances out of Flora.

Her show was about 🥸Communists🥸

by Anonymousreply 497April 20, 2022 1:10 AM

At this year’s Passover Seder, my aunt, who goes to maybe two shows a year and certainly doesn’t read All That Chat, said she had wanted to see Funny Girl but then heard that the lead was terrible. She didn’t even know her name, but she had heard through the elder Jewish grapevine that she stinks. FWIW.

by Anonymousreply 498April 20, 2022 1:16 AM

The elder Jewish grapevine is to be trusted, r498.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 499April 20, 2022 1:29 AM

[quote]No, but the tone of your post was disbelief, that 473 was making it up.

It was disbelief -- not in the sense that I thought R473 was making it up, but in the sense that I'm amazed that the star of a big Broadway musical has three scheduled absences the week after the opening.

by Anonymousreply 500April 20, 2022 1:33 AM

The Company grosses this week are scary.

Whatever one thinks of Katrina Lenk if they had somehow gotten Anne Hathaway, it would have run for a year at least.

by Anonymousreply 501April 20, 2022 1:47 AM

[quote] Lea would sell tickets, even now.

Pure supposition. Lea Michele has done nothing to prove she has any box office clout on stage or screen. And she doesn’t even have the minor film recognition that Beanie does.

by Anonymousreply 502April 20, 2022 3:09 AM

Eden Happy...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 503April 20, 2022 3:32 AM

Apparently the biggest surprise of last week's grosses was that MR. SATURDAY NIGHT only made $650,000.

Well, no surprise to me as I can't imagine even the alta cockers would brave the bridges and tunnels and Times Square to see Billy Crystal in an inept musical of one of his flop movies.

by Anonymousreply 504April 20, 2022 3:34 AM

"My face hurts from smiling!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 505April 20, 2022 3:48 AM

Deadline reviews "How I Learned to Drive":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 506April 20, 2022 4:15 AM

R490 Why wouldn’t they ask her? Lea is back in New York full time, she sang at Miscast this year and she’s currently doing publicity for the Spring Awakening documentary. She obviously is looking to find a way back into NY theater and she still seems to be in Michael Mayer’s good graces.

What better time than now for a Lea comeback? I find it wild that someone like Ansel Elgort continues to get work after he was cancelled, but Lea threatened to shit in ONE wig and she’s blacklisted.

by Anonymousreply 507April 20, 2022 4:48 AM

I was the one posting Monday about how Company was doing just fine... Clearly I have to retract that. Last week's numbers weren't good at all. I'm just glad it didn't happen the weeks when the mostly understudy cast was on, so they don't get the blame. For the box office to fall that much when almost all of the regular cast was on...yikes.

I still don't think it will necessarily close right after the Tonys--it should still get a summer bump, especially with the expected wins. But unless they can stunt-cast a name as Bobbie during the summer, a Labor Day closing seems inevitable.

by Anonymousreply 508April 20, 2022 4:51 AM

Being cast in the lead role in a film isn't the same as being cast because you can "carry a film".

It was a small British indy film that grossed $70k.

Beanie Feldmanstein has and had, at that time, zero clout for "putting butts in seats".

by Anonymousreply 509April 20, 2022 4:53 AM

What happened to Liza's eyebrows in that clip from Flora? They're painted on half-way up her forehead, in the manner of drag queens who want to get as many shades of eyeshadow underneath as possible. She can't have had 10 facelifts by that age.

by Anonymousreply 510April 20, 2022 4:55 AM

She had walked in on Peter Allen blowing a guy for the first time just before the photo was taken.

by Anonymousreply 511April 20, 2022 5:07 AM

For those looking for a certain nude, you may want to read the thread linked below, starting around r151. A bunch of nudes of one performer were posted on the OMG blog, except one of them, the ninth, or next to last, doesn't match the body, or body hair, of the rest. But it does match...someone else. The detective in that thread offers convincing proof in r154 and r155.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 512April 20, 2022 6:06 AM

Direct link:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 513April 20, 2022 6:06 AM

(I miscounted. It's the tenth, or next to last.)

by Anonymousreply 514April 20, 2022 6:17 AM

Saw “…Virginia Woolf” in LA tonight.

First preview, and it showed. There was a lot of talent on that stage, and some fine acting, but not nearly the fiery sturm und drang this play requires.

I’m sure they’ll settle into the play and make a proper actor’s feast of it

by Anonymousreply 515April 20, 2022 6:48 AM

That is Daniel Reichard's cock at R513.

As the referenced thread correctly states, it was taken in his apartment, the freckle next to his navel matches other shirtless photos of him, as well as the configuration of his chest hair and especially his treasure trail.

On the referenced thread, a poster says Reichard's nipples are larger in one photo as opposed to another. Nipples do change their size and consistency, depending on temperature and the state or condition of the individual, anywhere from hard and tight to soft, smooth and larger.

by Anonymousreply 516April 20, 2022 9:23 AM

And a very nice cock it is.

Thank you r513!

by Anonymousreply 517April 20, 2022 10:20 AM

R516, There are face photos of Daniel on his Instagram page taken inside his apartment that match the apartment in the full frontal shot at R513 exactly.

The blue walls, white brick, white cabinet with wall mounted television above it, etc.

by Anonymousreply 518April 20, 2022 11:08 AM

With that cock I think he is more of a Phyllis than a Sally

by Anonymousreply 519April 20, 2022 11:19 AM

He could be my Buddy

by Anonymousreply 520April 20, 2022 11:46 AM

Who is he again, what show is he in and does he get naked in it?

by Anonymousreply 521April 20, 2022 12:49 PM

Oh wow. Thank you R513.

For those of you suggesting a Lea Michele comeback - shame on you Marys. Take one look at Lea’s obnoxious phony Instagram and tell me you want that bitch to have more success. She’s proven to be a raging cunt from the time she was a child actress - she wasn’t cancelled over the wig comment - she was finished because she’s a horrible shitty person whose talent never came close to compensating for her personality. Beanie might be a fat amateur, but I’ll take her nasal college production performance over anything else from Lea Michele.

PS. Thanks again R513.

by Anonymousreply 522April 20, 2022 12:54 PM

Reichard is next appearing in Beck Center For The Arts Youth Theater Production BUGSY MALONE, A Musical Comedy Classic For All Ages in Lakewood Ohio

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 523April 20, 2022 1:43 PM

For the oldies here who missed the event when it happened, what did Lea Michele say about shitting in someone's wig?

by Anonymousreply 524April 20, 2022 1:54 PM

r524,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 525April 20, 2022 2:17 PM

As if there arent any other stars who are absolute assholes in real life. Fuck the Lea hate. Its childish.

by Anonymousreply 526April 20, 2022 2:17 PM

I’d happily never read the phrase “stripped-down production” ever again.

[Quote] Brokaw’s stripped-down and highly-effective production

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 527April 20, 2022 2:19 PM

The original off-Broadway production of HILTD at the Vineyard was about as stripped down as you could get. Likewise the production years ago at the Donmar. The play is meant to be presented "stripped down".

by Anonymousreply 528April 20, 2022 2:24 PM

Matt Windman is such a douchebag.

by Anonymousreply 529April 20, 2022 2:34 PM

R527 seems…triggered. The work itself is written as a “stripped-down” memory play. One you clearly have never read.

by Anonymousreply 530April 20, 2022 2:47 PM

Has anyone here been to the American Airlines Theatre lately? Roundabout is running a summer stock-vibe shitshow over there. The whole place feels like a junk shop after a fire. No real ushers to enforce mask rules, security people who are hapless at their jobs, the place looks like it hasn't been cleaned in 2 years, and to top it all off, Debra Messing stinking up the place with an amateurish performance in a lousy play.The whole mess reeks of desperation.

by Anonymousreply 531April 20, 2022 2:53 PM

Megan, when do you find the time to post?

by Anonymousreply 532April 20, 2022 2:57 PM

I was Megan, but I called out sick.

by Anonymousreply 533April 20, 2022 2:59 PM

SOME LIKE IT HOT is official, y'all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 534April 20, 2022 3:11 PM

A new musical adaptation of “Some Like It Hot,” a classic cross-dressing comedy that is being recalibrated for contemporary audiences, will start performances in November and open in December on Broadway, the show’s producers said Wednesday.

The musical will star Christian Borle (a two-time Tony winner, for “Peter and the Starcatcher” and “Something Rotten!”) and J. Harrison Ghee (“Kinky Boots”) as two musicians fleeing the mob after witnessing a gangland massacre, and Adrianna Hicks (“Six”) as a singer they befriend. In the acclaimed 1959 film, those roles were played by Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon and Marilyn Monroe.

The production, first announced four years ago, has faced challenges on its path to Broadway: One of the original producers, Craig Zadan, died; the pandemic prompted the cancellation of a pre-Broadway run in Chicago; and the whole question of how jokes about men dressing as women work has become increasingly contested.

“It’s a complicated picture, bracingly ahead of its time in some ways, wincingly dated in others,” A.O. Scott, a critic at large and the co-chief film critic for The New York Times, wrote in 2020.

The job of reimagining the story, still set in Prohibition-era Chicago, falls to Matthew López, the Tony-winning writer of “The Inheritance,” and Amber Ruffin, the writer and talk show host. The songs are by Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman, who previously wrote the Tony-winning score for “Hairspray.”

Casey Nicholaw, the Tony-winning director of “The Book of Mormon,” will direct and choreograph.

“Some Like It Hot” is being produced by the Shubert Organization and Neil Meron, along with MGM on Stage, Roy Furman, Robert Greenblatt, James L. Nederlander and Kenny Leon. The musical will be capitalized for up to $17.5 million, according to a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

The show is scheduled to begin performances Nov. 1 and to open Dec. 11 at the Shubert Theater.

by Anonymousreply 535April 20, 2022 3:12 PM

Oh boy, another Christian Borle crapfest!!!

by Anonymousreply 536April 20, 2022 3:13 PM

R522, please take your meds. No actor is worth that much hate. You have have issues you need to look at. Actors haven't done anything to you personally. Let it go.

by Anonymousreply 537April 20, 2022 4:00 PM

SUGAR!

by Anonymousreply 538April 20, 2022 4:06 PM

SKINNY & SWEET!

by Anonymousreply 539April 20, 2022 4:19 PM

[quote] [R527] seems…triggered. The work itself is written as a “stripped-down” memory play. One you clearly have never read.

r538 you have issues. I wasn't "triggered," just lamenting that reducing costs to reveal the 'essence' of a work is often BS to cover cheapness. I have read the play, thanks so much, and saw it, and even fucked someone who worked on the original. So thanks for playing. Oh, and let's remember you're the piece of work who posted this on the James Snyder thread:

[quote] Grill this gash under oath.

I'm only triggered by nasty fucks who make DL and the world a crappy place.

by Anonymousreply 540April 20, 2022 4:24 PM

I know what will sell tickets! An outdated idea that is now considered offensive, based on a movie that no one under the age of 50 has seen or an interest to see. Let’s star two guys that no one besides theatre people have heard of and let it be directed by a HACK!

Perfect!

by Anonymousreply 541April 20, 2022 4:32 PM

[quote]even fucked someone who worked on the original

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 542April 20, 2022 4:36 PM

R493, you’re obviously not in the business. “Putting butts in seats” is NOT what carrying a film means. Try not to be so obtuse next time, dear.

by Anonymousreply 543April 20, 2022 4:42 PM

[QUOTE] I wasn't "triggered," just lamenting that reducing costs to reveal the 'essence' of a work is often BS to cover cheapness.

Okay, that’s a perfectly valid point to make. However, the point was that your comment made no sense in the context of discussing a play that was always “stripped down.”

by Anonymousreply 544April 20, 2022 4:53 PM

It wasn't my comment, it was in the review

by Anonymousreply 545April 20, 2022 5:04 PM

but thanks for validating my comment

by Anonymousreply 546April 20, 2022 5:04 PM

[QUOTE] It wasn't my comment, it was in the review

Oh, Jesus! Yes, I know the term “stripped down” was in the review! You’re not getting what I’m saying. Forget it.

by Anonymousreply 547April 20, 2022 5:07 PM

R493, dear, you also seem to be confusing the term “carrying a film” with “opening a film.” The latter does refer to the performer having the ability to put butts on seats. “Carrying a film” is simply when a performer is at the center of the story and the plot entirely revolves around them. And that’s all it is. Beanie Feldstein carried the film How to Build a Girl. I’ve looked up the reviews of it in the UK and she actually got high marks for her accent which was a West Midlands one. I guess those of you who thought her accent was terrible are only used to the stereotypical UK ones, like cockney and London posh.

by Anonymousreply 548April 20, 2022 5:09 PM

Umm, R548, you've been arguing with about three different people thinking they're all one and the same.

by Anonymousreply 549April 20, 2022 5:14 PM

Who does Reichard play in Bugsy Malone? Isn't he a bit long in the tooth for that show, even by the "I'm 42 but look 15" standards of the DL?

by Anonymousreply 550April 20, 2022 5:15 PM

[quote]Who does Reichard play in Bugsy Malone?

His name is Tallulah.

by Anonymousreply 551April 20, 2022 5:17 PM

[quote]The play is meant to be presented "stripped down".

There's nothing wrong with intending a play to be stripped down.

by Anonymousreply 552April 20, 2022 5:18 PM

No bitch slaps allowed at the Tonys. Thanks, Will!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 553April 20, 2022 5:27 PM

Isn't this the woke production of Some Like it Hot? I heard they were turning the Jack Lemmon character into a tranny. If that's the case I'll gladly skip it.

by Anonymousreply 554April 20, 2022 5:28 PM

[quote] Ruffin’s involvement, as previously reported, signals a departure from the source material, resulting in a new take that the writer calls “honestly groundbreaking.” The character of Sugar has been reworked and is now a Black woman.

[quote] “It is an exciting proposition to create a show with characters whose race is instrumental and not incidental to the story,” Lopez said in an earlier statement. “It became apparent to me that if we were to honor our commitment to tell that story with honesty and integrity, it required a Black creative voice on the team. It didn’t take long for all of us to agree that Amber was the person to approach.”

In other words, let's take a Tony winning Latino playwright and make him share book credit with a D-list talk show host who is patently unfunny and has zero experience in writing musicals simply because she's black. And yes, let's pretend we have a real reason to do it.

by Anonymousreply 555April 20, 2022 5:30 PM

Wow. This thread has moved from witty barbs to just pure ugliness. It feels like a lot of Trumpers have joined this site, and they need to leave.

by Anonymousreply 556April 20, 2022 5:38 PM

Reworking properties that don’t need reworking is getting tiresome. How about coming up with something new. Sorry but Company works better in its original incarnation. What’s playing on broadway now is a novelty act that never really works.

by Anonymousreply 557April 20, 2022 5:39 PM

R556, take your buzzwords and go play on Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 558April 20, 2022 5:40 PM

[quote] I heard they were turning the Jack Lemmon character into a tranny.

The casting would appear to indicate that.

by Anonymousreply 559April 20, 2022 5:43 PM

Thank you to the person who provided the synopsis to The Minutes. It sounds just awful!

My cousin went to elementary school with Blair Brown. She mentioned it a lot when “The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd” was on the air.

by Anonymousreply 560April 20, 2022 5:44 PM

If I don't win a Tony, there will be slapping.

by Anonymousreply 561April 20, 2022 5:44 PM

I think it's great that Amber Ruffin is co-writing the book. What could go wrong?

by Anonymousreply 562April 20, 2022 5:45 PM

What's with all the cross dressing musicals in the past few years? And all of them have been attacked by the bored crazies on Twitter. Just give it up already.

by Anonymousreply 563April 20, 2022 5:52 PM

R534, Why not just revive Sugar?

by Anonymousreply 564April 20, 2022 5:56 PM

Samuel D. Hunter's Case for the Existence of God should be retitled:

Case for the Absence of A Dramaturg

God was it dull, with the bonus of an unexpectedly woke ending that made me loathe the overall play and experience. Bleuch.

Major cringe.

OTOH, James McAvoy is divine in Cyrano. The show overall is very good but not great. A very modern take, so classical purists should stay away.

I saw A Strange Loop at PH. Don't need to see it again. It's very good but I can't imagine it bringing in the crowds that Broadway demands.

I saw The Minutes and Hangmen in 2020 before the shutdown when both shows were in previews. So I saw Armie Hammer in the former and Dan Stevens in the latter. They're both gone, but I do need to see the shows again two years later to see their new stars? Nah. But are both worth seeing? Yes.

by Anonymousreply 565April 20, 2022 6:08 PM

I found Amber to be pushed too much on us by Seth Myers on his late night show; she was not that funny and just had a lot of attitude. Doing bits like things the white guy can't say, but we can.

by Anonymousreply 566April 20, 2022 6:13 PM

[quote]A new musical adaptation of “Some Like It Hot,” a classic cross-dressing comedy that is being recalibrated for contemporary audiences, will start performances in November and open in December on Broadway, the show’s producers said Wednesday.

Because today's Broadway audiences just adore musicals about men pretending to be women.

by Anonymousreply 567April 20, 2022 6:14 PM

Jule Styne and Bob Merrill actually wrote some good songs for the 1st musical on that show, "Sugar". Not a fan of Elaine Joyce Van Simon nor really Tony Roberts, but Robert Morse and Cyril Ritchard must have been fun.

by Anonymousreply 568April 20, 2022 6:16 PM

r568...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 569April 20, 2022 6:19 PM

For all the talk about woke and diversity and that every creative team has to have people of color and casts have to have people of color, has it been “explored” that the top selling shows are old fashioned musicals with white leads?

by Anonymousreply 570April 20, 2022 6:20 PM

It's the pendulum, r570. When the dust settles, what's actually selling will win out.

by Anonymousreply 571April 20, 2022 6:26 PM

Isn't it time for Todd Haimes to retire? And take Andre Bishop and Lynne Meadow with him?

by Anonymousreply 572April 20, 2022 6:31 PM

Have to chime in and say that after the failure of Tootsie and Mrs. Doubtfire, do producers really think there's an audience for another Broadway version of Some Like It Hot? People who adore the film (like me) and loved MM, Lemmon, Curtis and Joe E. Brown won't come, those who don't like the film won't come and those too young to know the film won't come. So who will that leave?

It also feels like it's bound to llok like and reek of the same issues as that Woody Allen/Susan Stroman monstrosity of several season ago, Bullets Over Broadway, tap-dancing gangsters, shrieking chorus girls etc..

by Anonymousreply 573April 20, 2022 6:37 PM

I would love to see a big vulgar musical based on "Interiors."

by Anonymousreply 574April 20, 2022 6:44 PM

The worst part of Bullets over Broadway was the stupid, random jukebox score.

I’m assuming SLIH will be an original score. If so, I’ll give it a chance. But I’m not sitting through another fucking movie-retread jukebox musical

by Anonymousreply 575April 20, 2022 6:48 PM

The SLIH score will be original but random, if you catch my drift.....

by Anonymousreply 576April 20, 2022 6:50 PM

You're assuming SLIH will be an original score? Okay, let's keep hoping for that.

by Anonymousreply 577April 20, 2022 6:50 PM

R574. Vicky Clark IS Evie!

by Anonymousreply 578April 20, 2022 6:51 PM

I think it's similar issues with SLIH as with Tootsie (and none with being "woke") in that if people these days come to movie adaptations at all, they want to see the movie on the stage. (And I think the argument could easily be made that no one wants to see them at all if you look at the sheer volume of movie to stage flops in the past decade.) But Tootsie (understandably) updated its storyline from soap operas to musical theater since soaps are no longer a thing. Where they fucked up was updating the story to present day, since no one in 2019 would mistake Dorothy for a biological woman. They would all assume she was trans and walk on eggshells around it or trumpet it to the highest of heavens. They could have easily made the change to musical theater but kept the time period as the early 80s. Of course no amount of jiggling timeline could help the fact that the score was terrible, the book was awful and everyone except John Behlmann was giving a somnambulant performance. How the fuck Santino won a Tony for that, let alone the book winning, if beyond me.

Tootsie (the movie) worked because cross dressing, drag queens, etc. were not in everyone's faces in 1982. You could easily believe Hoffman was a real woman with just the slightest amount of effort. By the time the topic was handled 13 years later in To Wong Foo, it didn't work, even with the three drag queens in bum fuck Kansas because by then, tabloid television had invaded. You had everyone from Maury to Springer to Ricki Lake coming into people's homes on a daily basis, and drag was a big part of that in terms of guests. And flyovers ate that shit up. They may not have condoned it, but they watched it. So there was no way those three walked into any town in 1995 and got mistaken for real women. Not dressed like that.

by Anonymousreply 579April 20, 2022 6:51 PM

Yes, it's an original score, by Shaiman and Wittman. Who haven't had much luck of late--Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Catch Me If You Can... (And the terrible new Shipoopi lyrics for The Music Man.) If they ever manage to get the Smash musical up and running, I'll be up for that, but SLIH seems like a pass. (Is that why they're doing it? The only way to write for a Marilyn character in the absence of the Smash musical?)

by Anonymousreply 580April 20, 2022 6:52 PM

My husband has been laughing out loud at that new Paul Ford (the rehearsal pianist, not the character actor) memoir, so much that he ordered me a copy of it (hubby reads on a Kindle, I don't). He says that Paul is just as nostalgic and bitter about the old days of Broadway as I am. I can't wait!

by Anonymousreply 581April 20, 2022 6:53 PM

You can't just borrow his Kindle and read the book?

by Anonymousreply 582April 20, 2022 6:54 PM

WTF, you bitches take it elsewhere. I just want to read about what's going on in the theater world.

by Anonymousreply 583April 20, 2022 6:54 PM

What are you bitching about, R583?

by Anonymousreply 584April 20, 2022 7:09 PM

R583 is Hall Monitor-ing.

by Anonymousreply 585April 20, 2022 7:22 PM

Who could even be nominated alongside MLP in Leading Actress in a Play? Because it’s certainly not going to be Miss Debra Messing.

Does Laurie Metcalf have any offerings this season?

by Anonymousreply 586April 20, 2022 7:25 PM

Looks like the main contenders (after ML Parker) are Negga (Macbeth), O'Connell (Dana H), LaChanze (Trouble in Mind), Emily Davis (Is This a Room?), and...SJ Parker?

(Some of the editors in their predictions are throwing in names from Chicken & Biscuits, The Skin of Their Teeth, and...Messing, but those seem very unlikely.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 587April 20, 2022 7:32 PM

"The Skin of OUR Teeth." Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 588April 20, 2022 7:33 PM

From what I hear about this production, The Skin of THEIR Teeth sounds more appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 589April 20, 2022 7:38 PM

Updating most stories to "today" seldom works well. And, some plays don't really work because the playwright didn't place their story in a time period where it would have made more sense.

Mr. Burns, a Post-Electric Play by Anne Washburn is a good example. The whole framework of the show is based on society collapsing after some sort of cataclysmic event and so to entertain each other, people relay their favorite episodes of The Simpsons and eventually begin performing those episodes as a form of entertainment and solely based on how they remember the episode. It's premise is based on the shaky assumption that once the electrical grid goes down, it goes down for good and there is no way to generate electricity to power any kind of device to watch tapes/dvds of old episodes of The Simpsons....which is ridiculous because there ARE alternative ways of producing power and obviously people in a catasclysmic world would eventually figure out a way to make electricity.

Mr. Burns should have been "Lucy Ricardo, a Post Electric Play" and been set in 1962 for it to make much logical or more likely sense.

by Anonymousreply 590April 20, 2022 7:40 PM

The Skin of They/Their/Them/Those Teeth would be most apt.

by Anonymousreply 591April 20, 2022 7:40 PM

Lens Dunham IS Roxie Heart

by Anonymousreply 592April 20, 2022 7:49 PM

More like Roxie Heart Disease

by Anonymousreply 593April 20, 2022 7:50 PM

New thread for when the time comes:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 594April 20, 2022 7:51 PM

A STRANGE LOOP!

by Anonymousreply 595April 20, 2022 7:54 PM

What properties besides Phantom and Wild Party have two completely different musicals made from them? Not counting some that have been repurposed like Grand Hotel which recycled scores from an earlier version right?

by Anonymousreply 596April 20, 2022 7:55 PM

BAJOUR!

by Anonymousreply 597April 20, 2022 7:55 PM

Kill This Thread...quickly!

by Anonymousreply 598April 20, 2022 7:56 PM

Stake it in the HEART!

by Anonymousreply 599April 20, 2022 7:56 PM

And....

Scene.

by Anonymousreply 600April 20, 2022 7:57 PM

I loved the lead actress in Clyde’s. I know she’s the actress from Orange is the New Black, but I’m too lazy to look it up.

by Anonymousreply 601April 20, 2022 8:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!