Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Such a fuss over Beth

Saint Beth of Raines!

All these men of Springfield fighting over.....this?

She's as vivid as....watching toast burn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332April 22, 2022 4:25 PM

Best pussy in Springfield.

by Anonymousreply 1March 21, 2022 12:46 AM

Yes India, I love your burns!

by Anonymousreply 2March 21, 2022 12:54 AM

She's blond.

That's all they need, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 3March 21, 2022 1:01 AM

Until she became a lawyer on the show she really didn't have much to do job-wise except be an assistant to Elizabeth Taylor's son, right?

by Anonymousreply 4March 21, 2022 1:04 AM

One wonders about Lujack's endowment if she left the Pendulous One for that.

by Anonymousreply 5March 21, 2022 3:46 AM

Poor Beth. But God forbid you got that mother of hers as your nurse at Cedars. She was so busy gossiping and being nosy with Katy Parker and sniffing around Ed Bauer.

by Anonymousreply 6March 21, 2022 4:12 AM

Lillian Raines made us a suburban joke!

by Anonymousreply 7March 21, 2022 4:15 AM

She looks like a young, malformed, Jodie Foster!

by Anonymousreply 8March 21, 2022 4:17 AM

I love the space between India, Harley and Blake after the vote for Joan Collins’ Alex during the Spaulding Ex-Wives club story.

India- “how many of you had your marriage destroyed by Beth Raines?”

All three raise their hand.

by Anonymousreply 9March 21, 2022 4:19 AM

Beth Raines was a low born gutter slut. Springfield had quite a few.

by Anonymousreply 10March 21, 2022 4:29 AM

I was the real star of GL, of course!

by Anonymousreply 11March 23, 2022 1:19 AM

Back then I loved Philip with Mindy, she was more fun.

by Anonymousreply 12March 23, 2022 1:21 AM

I'm a hypocrite for bringing a SON "issue" over here, but I don't have the guts "to say it to his face," so here goes: Carl, lighten up already.

by Anonymousreply 13March 23, 2022 4:34 AM

No

One

Cares

About

Other

Soap

Boards.

ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever,ever, ever, ever, ever, ever,ever, ever, ever, ever, ever,ever, ever, ever, ever, ever,ever, ever, ever, ever, ever,ever, ever, ever, ever, ever,ever, ever, ever, ever, ever,ever, ever, ever, ever, ever,ever, ever, ever, ever, ever,ever, ever, ever, ever, ever,ever, ever, ever, ever, ever,ever, ever, ever, ever, ever,ever, ever, ever, ever, ever,ever, ever, ever, ever, ever,ever, ever, ever, ever, ever,ever, ever, ever, ever, ever,ever, ever, ever, ever, ever,ever, ever, ever, ever, ever,ever, ever, ever, ever, ever,ever, ever, ever, ever, ever,ever, ever, ever, ever, ever,ever, ever, ever, ever, ever,ever, ever, ever, ever, ever,ever, ever, ever, ever, ever,ever, ever, ever, ever, ever,ever, ever, ever, ever, ever,ever, ever, ever, ever, ever,ever, ever, ever, ever, ever,ever, ever, ever, ever, ever,ever, ever, ever, ever, ever,ever, ever, ever, ever, ever,ever, ever, ever, ever, ever,ever, ever, ever, ever, ever,ever, ever, ever, ever, ever,ever, ever, ever, ever, ever.

by Anonymousreply 14March 23, 2022 2:24 PM

Atta' girl, R14.

by Anonymousreply 15March 23, 2022 2:27 PM

So there's an interview with Roger Newcomb and Damon Jacobsen. In a tub. Apparently all of Damon's interviews are in a tub for this podcast or show.

I heard a little bit of it as they talk about soap interviews they did and like suddenly the conversation turned to interviews that didn't go well and apparently at the top of the list was none other than Lady Eyes A Buggin' herself! She hung up on him!

Clearly they did NOT have the kind of love we'll never know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 23, 2022 2:35 PM

This snarky bitch returned to Springfield in 1997 and decided to try me. Thought she was hot shit because she was blonde and younger than me. Tried to get my rentboy/husband Matt to go with her, but this older, experienced bitch still knew what to do to keep my man.

Poor Beth. She ended up biding her time with a character so boring I've forgotten his name. During that marriage, she slept with her pendulous OTP, got pregnant, and tried to pass off the child. She also had another personality for a while. I almost forgot to mention that dire period she spent married to Alan. Things were so bad, she even slept with the show's most boring, inconsequential character -- Rick Bauer.

She became pathetic -- a shadow of her former self.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 23, 2022 11:49 PM

Mindy Lewis lovers, unite!

by Anonymousreply 18March 24, 2022 2:32 AM

She really was boring.

by Anonymousreply 19March 24, 2022 2:35 AM

[quote] Vanessa Chamberlain Harper Lewis Lewis Reardon Lewis

Harper?

by Anonymousreply 20March 24, 2022 4:42 AM

She has great skin, great tits, great body, long blonde hair, has a pussy and wears virtually no make-up. What's hard to understand? Heterosexual men are not attracted to men. They're attracted to women.

by Anonymousreply 21March 24, 2022 5:45 AM

Yes, I am also curious about Harper. Perhaps she was married before she arrived in Springfield?

by Anonymousreply 22March 24, 2022 11:48 AM

Ewwwwww! Roger Newcomb in a tub. Gross! That skinny weasel used to tell everyone that they couldn’t come to his Van Hansis gatherings if they asked Van if he is gay. It was so stupid. Van was queening out but you couldn’t bring up his homoness to him. Roger was an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 23March 24, 2022 12:17 PM

I’ll never forget a scene at a restaurant to celebrate Beth and Lujack. The Baroness ordered champagne and when it arrived the Lillian actress misspoke and said, “ Oh, shampoo”. My sister and I still repeat that line to this day.

by Anonymousreply 24March 24, 2022 12:32 PM

[quote]interviews that didn't go well and apparently at the top of the list was none other than Lady Eyes A Buggin' herself! She hung up on him!

I love that woman. Victoria Wyndham just did not have time for foolishness. She can do no wrong in my eyes. I wish she would have written a book.

by Anonymousreply 25March 24, 2022 12:36 PM

Vee, who’s in the biz, is sniping at the poor soul Allmc2008 over at SON. Vee, you are a nobody.

by Anonymousreply 26March 24, 2022 1:04 PM

[quote] Yes, I am also curious about Harper. Perhaps she was married before she arrived in Springfield?

Well, damn if it's not accurate. I had no idea but this bio of Vanessa says she was married before coming to Springfield....which I hadn't remembered, and I don't think it was mentioned much after she arrived.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27March 24, 2022 2:17 PM

How do you think I feel, Vanessa at R17? That bitch DUMPED Phillip "Pendulous" Spaulding, who promptly came back to town to lick his wounds. Beth followed him home just as he and I were getting close. Of course she decided she wanted him back the moment she saw how happy we were together. She couldn't stomach the idea of my hot box being worked out on a nightly basis with all that hot salami! My pussy became a hero sandwich, filled with Phillip's delicious mayonnaise.

That jealous cunt slept with Phillip when they thought they were dying after a plane crash. Instead of aborting the demon spawn like any woman with sense would have done, she tried to pass the baby off as her husband's (anyone remember that remarkably boring guy's name?) But her sin came out and ruined my marriage!

That bitch was always huffy and sanctimonious, even after she hooked up with those San Cristobal loonies and was locked in a tower. I bit my tongue sooo many times around that slut. I had to stop myself from telling her that everyone in town knew that her pathetic mother, Lillian, had pawned her off on Bradley just so Lillian could keep a man. The "rape" happened with her mother's permission!

by Anonymousreply 28March 24, 2022 2:29 PM

I was so milquetoast that I literally died in a grease fire.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29March 24, 2022 2:34 PM

That's it, R29! Thank you.

Though I believe he will already have been forgotten again by the time I press "Post."

by Anonymousreply 30March 24, 2022 2:43 PM

I'm James Spaulding.

I, too, am pendulous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31March 24, 2022 3:02 PM

Jim Lemay. Definitely one of the most boring characters ever on the show.

So weird because Anthony Addabbo had been so good on Generations and then on B&B.

Writers didn't give him much to work with as far as Jim goes, but Anthony also didn't imbue him with anything interesting in his portrayal.

by Anonymousreply 32March 24, 2022 4:21 PM

Rest in peace Anthony Addabbo.

May you be as undisturbed as the memory most of the audience has of your GL character...

by Anonymousreply 33March 24, 2022 7:35 PM

Lady Eyes A Buggin, to anyone who dares contact her via telephone:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34March 24, 2022 10:07 PM

The actress who played Vanessa is Meryl Streep's SIL

by Anonymousreply 35March 24, 2022 10:24 PM

A fact with which absolutely, positively none of us who post here are unfamiliar.

by Anonymousreply 36March 24, 2022 11:12 PM

Dumbass Serialnutjob thinks that Meryl should have done a cameo on GL as a favor to Maeve. Dumbass. Meryl would never stoop so low.

by Anonymousreply 37March 24, 2022 11:51 PM

I was fascinated and scared of the Carrie storyline, it played during summer break of 6th grade.

by Anonymousreply 38March 24, 2022 11:52 PM

Would one of you dear darlings start a new thread about Y&R? I just can't find the wherewithal to do it myself with all the social obligations that have me so busy. Besides, I just had a run-in with Cecile, and she has left me drained. And now Brittany Peterson has been threatening to pay me a visit about something or another. I am going to my bedroom, where I'll have the servants bring me some fruit and cheese. Anyway, title the thread, "Billy's Restless Jockstrap." I will get to posting to it in the morning, after I have gotten my proper rest. TIA. Must run.

by Anonymousreply 39March 24, 2022 11:56 PM

Whosh we toashting to this eveningsh? Need a ride to the partiesh?

by Anonymousreply 40March 25, 2022 12:32 AM

I just stumbled across this Rachel and Ada scene on YouTube. They were so good together. Check it out if you haven't seen it and have a few extra minutes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 25, 2022 1:17 AM

Thanks, r41. I just love seeing good New York actors delivering intelligent dialogue even if it is completely out of context. So much is said by the actors' faces so the dialogue doesn't have to be so blatantly explanatory like bad soap opera. Connie was struggling with her dialogue a bit though. And as an ATWT fan I love me some Kathleen Widdoes.

by Anonymousreply 42March 25, 2022 1:32 AM

I just rewatched it R42, I'm curious, where do you think Connie was struggling with the dialogue?

by Anonymousreply 43March 25, 2022 1:38 AM

After she sat down with Rachel. There were a number of places where there was a pause and she started to say something after Rachel had moved on to the next bit. Very noticeable that she was starting to say something when Rachel spotted Janice.

by Anonymousreply 44March 25, 2022 1:41 AM

R39 You're lucky I made you a thread, what with you pretending to be moi. But here you are.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45March 25, 2022 2:58 AM

It's pretty clear in this clip that she's reading from cue cards.

It was clear in lots of other clips, too. Like the one where she confronts Nancy.

She definitely struggled with memorization.

by Anonymousreply 46March 25, 2022 3:00 AM

Thanks for your perspectives. I didn't think she was struggling at all and that it was just Connie being Ada. Very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 47March 25, 2022 3:16 AM

Kin Shriner was on the Locker Room recently, talking about his career, especially his being cast on GH 45 years ago.

One of the people watching asked if NBC really paid Kin $1 million to bolt from GH to Texas when that show debuted in 1980. Kin didn't confirm or deny the salary, but explained that NBC's purpose in grabbing him was simply to break up the Luke-Laura-Scotty triangle which was so hot at that point.

Kin speculated that NBC hoped Kin's fans would follow him to Texas, which is why the network scheduled the fledgling soap opposite GH in the 3 p.m. timeslot. Kin speculated that if Genie Francis's contract had come up for renewal first, NBC would have gone after her for Texas. Or if Tony Geary's contract had come up first, NBC would have gone after him. But Kin's was the one that came up first, so they went after him.

I had never heard the $1 million salary before, so can't comment to any validity to that rumor. But I will say it wouldn't be outrageous for what NBC thought it could do with the new Texas soap in 1980.

On a side note, it was well established that Beverlee McKinsey was the highest paid actor in daytime when she agreed to star on Texas in 1980. So, if Kin was making $1 million, La Bev was making more than that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48March 25, 2022 7:53 PM

And the really disturbing thing was that the Texas writers had no idea what to do with Kin's character of Jeb Hampton.

He was a lot like Marcy Walker's Tangie Hill. Cast purely for his name, but never given much of anything to do.

No wonder Kin bolted back to GH after a year on Texas.

by Anonymousreply 49March 25, 2022 7:57 PM

Thank you, R45. You're a doll, but you could never be as fabulous as me.

by Anonymousreply 50March 25, 2022 11:19 PM

Sweetheart, I've been Original Recipe Donna for eons. And we already have Brand New Sexy Donna, as well.

I think you may be more of a Cecile.....

by Anonymousreply 51March 25, 2022 11:22 PM

But is she Original Recipe Cecile, aka Susan Keith.

Or Brand New Sexy Cecile, aka Nancy Frangione

by Anonymousreply 52March 25, 2022 11:31 PM

Judi Evans is amazing. Give her credit.

by Anonymousreply 53March 25, 2022 11:31 PM

Judi left THE Guiding Light because lazy Bev McKinsey forced the entire cast to work around her 3-day work week. Poor Bev. Always the victim.

by Anonymousreply 54March 25, 2022 11:36 PM

I preferred Nancy Frangione's Cecile.

by Anonymousreply 55March 25, 2022 11:39 PM

Yeah, when I watch old clips of Susan Keith as Cecile, it's just not the same. Nancy Frangione IS Cecil.

by Anonymousreply 56March 26, 2022 12:07 AM

Seeing all these familiar names -- Donna, Cecile, Alma -- reminds me how much I miss the soaps. As a teenager in the 1980s, I would spend my summers watching AMC, AW, GL, and EON. I miss those days.

by Anonymousreply 57March 26, 2022 12:16 AM

R57 It was THE Guiding Light (TGL) and THE Edge of Night. (TEON) Get it right.

by Anonymousreply 58March 26, 2022 12:28 AM

"You're a bitch Cecile. You always were and always will be."

Go to 5:00 in tape below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59March 26, 2022 12:29 AM

R52 Liz, you clever minx!

by Anonymousreply 60March 26, 2022 1:58 AM

Still my favorite Donna/Cecile moment

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61March 26, 2022 3:33 AM

Nancy Frangione is my Cecile, too, but we shouldn't sleep on Susan Keith. The influx of Loving episodes is making me realize how good she was.

by Anonymousreply 62March 26, 2022 3:37 AM

Also, I could easily see NBC/P&G wanting Genie Francis to play Courtney, Catherine Hickland's role, on Texas. I could be wrong, but didn't Catherine also audition as a possible Laura replacement and/or for the role of Laura Templeton when Genie left GH back in '82?

by Anonymousreply 63March 26, 2022 3:40 AM

Yes, Loving proved that Susan Keith was a good actress. Shana on Loving was a much better role for her than Cecile ever was.

Once Nancy Frangione started playing Cecile, she owned the part.

Much like Sharon Gabet owned Raven on Edge when she was cast to replace original Raven, Juanin Clay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64March 26, 2022 5:34 AM

[quote]Also, I could easily see NBC/P&G wanting Genie Francis to play Courtney, Catherine Hickland's role, on Texas. I could be wrong, but didn't Catherine also audition as a possible Laura replacement and/or for the role of Laura Templeton when Genie left GH back in '82?

I can see Genie playing Dr. Courtney Marshall (Catherine Hickland's first soap role). But more likely she would have been cast as Courtney's younger sister, teenaged Dawn Marshall (played by Dana Kimmel). Dawn was the original love interest for Dennis Carrington, but was written out after just six months as the actress was very weak in the role.

As for Tony Geary, I can see NBC casting him in the Justin Marshall role on Texas. Or the Ryan Conner role.

by Anonymousreply 65March 26, 2022 5:46 AM

That makes more sense, AuntLiz. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 66March 26, 2022 1:23 PM

Aunt Liz as annoying as ever!

by Anonymousreply 67March 26, 2022 1:40 PM

Awl dese meeinz o Sprangfilled usin awl dey strungf ta fight ovah dis? Dey musta bein pussah whipted fo sho cause she found em awl ta be bootylicious! And dats it - Ahm thew! #rimjobs

by Anonymousreply 68March 26, 2022 1:50 PM

I know this is the wrong thread for this but I found it while looking for Miranda Bishop clips. I had no idea how old fashioned GH still was in 1975. No wonder when Gloria Monty came she threw out everything and started over. Here is kinescope from 1975. Sorry to intrude, but this is the closest to a classic soap thread that we have.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69March 26, 2022 2:05 PM

Watching that video makes me think about how much Another World failed to use Denise Alexander well. She was and is the perfect soap heroine. She is warm and involving and real. But AW just completely wasted her.

Her backstory with Reginald and Vince didn't work because they couldn't find a Vince who could be solidly middle class and sexy enough to be worthy of Mary. They also never wrote enough to make us as an audience wonder if Mary really did leave her family of her own volition. We knew Mary would never have run away from her children because as soon as Mary learned who she was all she could do was wail about how she would never leave her children. Not bringing in Ben and not recasting or retaining Cheryl and MJ (who we certainly didnt care enough about to be bothered by recastings) and losing the only other McKinnon we cared about when Julie Osborn left as Kathleen kneecapped the character.

Getting Chris Robinson as Jason Frame should have given Mary endless story as she wavered between her true love Vince and her undeniable attraction for Jason. Instead they had Mary instantly hate Jason and made him into another villain and insisted on keeping Mary in the orbit or Reginald, the gayest leading man until Niles Crane. If it were me, I would have killed off Reginald, had Mary find the body, and make that shock her into remembering everything. Then as she tries to repair her relationships with Ben, Cheryl and MJ, who hardly remember her, she could have been the mama bear that Alexander played so well.

So much lost potential.

by Anonymousreply 70March 27, 2022 1:20 AM

Denise Alexander is another one who was cast for her name. While they gave her more of a character than they gave Kin Shriner on Texas or Marcy Walker on GL, the character was still underdeveloped. And the character's circumstances were not well thought out with all the McKinnon children being off the show by that point. Very poor long range planning on the show's part.

Yes, would have been so intriguing if there had been that ambiguity of did Mary leave Vince for Reginald of her own volition or did she really develop amnesia. Of course, would have also been more intriguing if show had made Mary's adopted son Scott LaSalle out to be Donna Love's third baby, born alongside Vicky and Marley.

So much potential that was never realized.

by Anonymousreply 71March 27, 2022 1:34 AM

AW's last 15 years could be summed up in "lost potential," minus a few of the years during and after Lemay's return.

Same, of course, with most of GL's last 15 years.

by Anonymousreply 72March 27, 2022 1:55 AM

WHET Nancy Frangione, anyway?

by Anonymousreply 73March 27, 2022 2:09 AM

R72's post reminds me of a bit of soap folklore, that supposedly after AW was cancelled (and had been the victim of years of network and production company malpractice), someone sent a warning message to GL: "You're next."

by Anonymousreply 74March 27, 2022 2:13 AM

R74 CBS tried to cancel GL the first time in 1995, and when it got pushback from both PGP and affiliates, it just had most of its CBS owned stations move it to a morning timeslot instead.

It's a miracle it managed to hang on for fourteen years after that, but the ratings finally dropped so low there was no further argument for keeping it.

And even if it had been much better in terms of story, I think the NYC soaps would have eventually gone under anyway. So few people are watching network TV any more. GL used to be criticized for a 5.5 rating and that would be considered a rating smash for daytime or nighttime these days.

by Anonymousreply 75March 27, 2022 2:18 AM

I did not know Glenn Corbett of the Doctors used to be a Mizer model. And posed nude, apparently!

by Anonymousreply 76March 27, 2022 2:10 PM

Here you go R76

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77March 27, 2022 2:21 PM

Here is one more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78March 27, 2022 2:25 PM

And here is one of Doctor Matt Powers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79March 27, 2022 2:25 PM

Well, I never!

by Anonymousreply 80March 27, 2022 2:26 PM

I'll take the guy on the far left in R79's photo, although kudos to Mr. Shower Shoes.

by Anonymousreply 81March 27, 2022 3:36 PM

I love the level of petty it took to put that Emmy up on the credits for a whole year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82March 27, 2022 6:10 PM

R81 I'll take the two on the far right.

And while I can't get over the Howdy Doody face, you know that little dude has the biggest schlong of all.

by Anonymousreply 83March 27, 2022 6:11 PM

Beth got some of the hottest dick in Springfrield: Lujack, Phillip, and Edmund. She appeared to be on a roll for a while. When she went after Matt, I'm sure she wasn't expecting Vanessa to put up such a fight.

But then there were also some of her misfires: Jim, Alan, and Rick. Not that there was much choice left in that town by that time. Sad last days....

by Anonymousreply 84March 27, 2022 8:04 PM

Don't forget Coop. That boy was dumb but he sure was pretty. And gave Philip a run for his money in the pendulousness department........

by Anonymousreply 85March 28, 2022 3:47 AM

The daughter of Beth's former fiancée - just won an Oscar tonight

by Anonymousreply 86March 28, 2022 3:52 AM

India and Phillip reconnected in Europe in 1990 while he was on the run from being framed for Neil's murder.

He tells her Beth is alive.

"What! I do not give her permission! The blonde virgin rises! Is everyone in Springfield who wears pants still in love with her?"

by Anonymousreply 87March 28, 2022 3:52 AM

Mrs. Renfield is still alive. She’s about a fucking 100 years old and she outlived Quint and Nola.

by Anonymousreply 88March 28, 2022 12:38 PM

Who? R86

by Anonymousreply 89March 28, 2022 1:07 PM

[quote]I did not know Glenn Corbett of the Doctors used to be a Mizer model. And posed nude, apparently!

You know he was in the television show Route 66, right? He replaced the diva George Maharis for the last season or two. I did not like the last two seasons but he was likable. Co-star Martin Milner said Corbett was the nicest guy and so easy to work with.

by Anonymousreply 90March 28, 2022 3:30 PM

That was a wee before my time R90. I always thought even on the Doctors, where he looked a little rough, that he had a kind of handsome quality. Now I know why

by Anonymousreply 91March 28, 2022 4:35 PM

I adored Glenn Corbett.

Loved the Jason Aldrich characer and how it expanded Steve's family. If Jason hadn't come to town, we wouldn't have gotten Nola Dancy Aldrich.

by Anonymousreply 92March 28, 2022 4:37 PM

Bradley Rains was Beth's stepfather.

Did we ever know who Beth's biological father was?

Did the show ever mention his identity?

Did the show ever have Lillian talk about Beth's father and how she ended up with Bradley?

by Anonymousreply 93March 28, 2022 4:46 PM

R93 I don't think so.

It may have been that there was a brief mention of the father when those characters were introduced - I assume he either left or died young and Lillian married Bradley for security and financial reasons.

by Anonymousreply 94March 28, 2022 4:59 PM

I loved the Aldrich family on The Doctors, especially the very flamboyant Doreen, Jason's estranged wife. When they cleared hoyse, they had her go psycho and she ended up in a hospital for the criminally insane. Pamela Lincoln had a great laugh. She reminded me of Marj Dusay in that way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95March 28, 2022 5:11 PM

It would have been interesting if Beth’s real father was Mike Bauer or Tom Reardon or something, to tie her to one of the core families.

by Anonymousreply 96March 28, 2022 5:12 PM

Lillian Raines was quite the slut.

by Anonymousreply 97March 28, 2022 5:16 PM

I know you bitches have been waiting for this....the real star of As The World Turns......

PAT BRUDER on the Locher Room.

😒

by Anonymousreply 98March 28, 2022 6:07 PM

Pat Bruder is a very interesting person and I'm looking forward to it.

by Anonymousreply 99March 28, 2022 6:22 PM

Poor Pat Bruder. She yanked out of the Bob/Penny age group, put into matronly clothes, and forced into coffee pouring scenes with Helen.

What was Henderson Forsythe like? I get the impression he was a pain.

by Anonymousreply 100March 28, 2022 6:28 PM

You should list that as a question for Pat on the Locher Room's FB page!

by Anonymousreply 101March 28, 2022 6:32 PM

I was just watching an old ATWT episode on Youtube. The one where Ellen convinces Don Hughes to be her attorney to get her kid back. Even back then, Ellen looked 60 and she must have been playing 20s.

by Anonymousreply 102March 28, 2022 6:32 PM

Ellen always had that frumpy hairdo. Miss Locher should ask her about that vinegary, uptight Helen Wagner.

by Anonymousreply 103March 28, 2022 6:48 PM

It was ironic to me when Jane Powell subbed for Eileen Fulton as Lisa. She looked like she could have been Pat Bruder's sister. I wished they had brought her back at least for the finale.

by Anonymousreply 104March 28, 2022 6:55 PM

P&Gers, your opinion is needed. The commercial linked below for Freedom Debt Relief is one that is currently airing. Could this be Michael Dietz playing the spokesperson in the commercial? What do you think?

You'll recall that Michael Dietz played Alan- Michael after Rick Hearst left the role. After that, Dietz went on to star in Port Charles as Joe Scanlan.

According to IMBD, Dietz's last acting credit was in 2007 on Passions. After that he moved behind the camera to be a producer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105March 29, 2022 7:37 AM

What Oscar winner are we talking about?

by Anonymousreply 106March 29, 2022 12:02 PM

R105 I can't be 100 percent certain but all signs point to yes. He's gone gray (which ironically, Rick Hearst also has the same look now). iSpot usually lists the actors' names but doesn't have it for this one, but I think yes.

by Anonymousreply 107March 29, 2022 2:51 PM

[quote] The daughter of Beth's former fiancée - just won an Oscar tonight

Ohhh. I didn't get this when it was originally posted either.

Billie Eilish's parents were both on soaps. Mom (Maggie Baird) was on ATWT and Dad (Patrick O'Connell) played Neil, the guy Beth was entangled with and engaged to when she was mute, before Philip found out she was alive.

by Anonymousreply 108March 29, 2022 2:54 PM

She was almost unwatchable on DOOL in the early years, had a way of breathing heavily like she had a chew toy lodged in her throat. Childish and hysterical as an actress. She's calmer now. I used to hate how she said, "JUSTIN".

by Anonymousreply 109March 29, 2022 3:07 PM

Excuse me, but that bitch played Beth for like a minute. I played her MUCH longer! Pay homage to ME!

I mean, for fucks sake, even my real name is BETH!

Now buy some kettlebells and get exercising, you fat whores!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110March 29, 2022 3:11 PM

Alas, R110, despite your longer tenure, you've proven to be the weaker actress. Without Judi's ministrations, you would be nothing. Let's be real: You have no mainstay couples of your own nor any storylines of notable quality. Both Phillip and Lujack were in Judi's kitty first. You were just an understudy. A prettier understudy to be sure -- but an understudy, nonetheless.

I have watched Judi Evans be raped, abused, lauded, and tongue-bathed on several shows, Ms. Chamberlin. You, ma'am, are NO Judi Evans!

by Anonymousreply 111March 29, 2022 3:59 PM

I'll take Beth Chamberlain over that whispery ass Judi ANY day

by Anonymousreply 112March 29, 2022 4:15 PM

I’ve always found Judi Evans to be overrated.

She seems fine in the GL clips I’ve seen, but I hated her as Adrienne on DAYS and Paulina on AW.

Adrienne was a whiner, so annoying. And I found the transition from Cali Timmins to Judi to be offputting. Cali played Paulina as mysterious and sexy; Judi’s Paulina was a Midwest frau.

by Anonymousreply 113March 29, 2022 4:21 PM

The cast hated Judi because she was annoying in the same way they hated Bev for being lazy and demanding vacations every 3 weeks.

by Anonymousreply 114March 29, 2022 10:05 PM

Ask Patsy Bruder what SHE thought of that harlot Colleen!

by Anonymousreply 115March 29, 2022 10:14 PM

by Anonymousreply 116March 30, 2022 3:53 AM

Miss Locher has promised that he will ask Patsy Bruder about CZP’s dui’s.

by Anonymousreply 117March 30, 2022 7:13 AM

How was I never the true STAR OF SPRINGFIELD?

by Anonymousreply 118March 30, 2022 1:58 PM

You were a Sampson Girl, Melinda Sue. Isn't that enough?

by Anonymousreply 119March 30, 2022 4:24 PM

R119 Applause for that deep cut!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120March 30, 2022 5:10 PM

Poor Gail Kobe was getting senile by 1986.

by Anonymousreply 121March 31, 2022 1:19 AM

The cure for insomnia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122March 31, 2022 4:12 AM

I still have to laugh that Corny Collins was on Guiding Light. It'd be like if we found Penny Pingleton in an Another World episode.

by Anonymousreply 123March 31, 2022 12:25 PM

"Penny Pingleton, you are permanently punished! No watching Corny at the Cory Mansion for at least a week!"

by Anonymousreply 124March 31, 2022 2:01 PM

The Cory mansion is in Bay City. Corny spent his time in Springfield.

by Anonymousreply 125March 31, 2022 6:29 PM

Hey, Toots!

[quote] It'd be like if we found Penny Pingleton in an Another World episode.

by Anonymousreply 126March 31, 2022 6:48 PM

Is this the chick from Days of our Lives?

by Anonymousreply 127March 31, 2022 6:52 PM

Looks like Judi Evans.

by Anonymousreply 128March 31, 2022 6:52 PM

Hash anyone sheen my keysh?

by Anonymousreply 129March 31, 2022 10:03 PM

Yes, she used to kiss Justin with her eyes open. I can't unsee it.

by Anonymousreply 130March 31, 2022 11:19 PM

Judi Evans vs. Beth Chamberlin?

Compare and contrast!

by Anonymousreply 131March 31, 2022 11:28 PM

Beth Chamberlinsh had lunsch whishkeysh with me.

by Anonymousreply 132March 31, 2022 11:30 PM

I really liked Beth Raines. She was really a draw for GL in the mid 80s. She had some of the most well remembered/regarded storylines of any character aside from Reva. She had an aura about her. Smart, sweet, yet tough underneath. That prison scene where Bradley tries to intimidate her into not testifying was golden. Beth lets him go on and on then delivers one withering line that leaves him shook. She had some great scenes with Jim Rebhorn. Judi had a way of delivering some lines to the villains like Bradly or Alan that were wicked and would leave them flustered.

Judi’s Beth could be very beautiful and sometimes dowdy. It would depend on Judi’s hair or wardrobe. Beth C’s Beth was red hot fire sexy.

Yes, every man wanted Beth in Judi’s years.

The character assassination starting with her return in ‘97 was egregious. It was stunning. When they finally redeemed her the show had just months left. There are so many ways they could have taken the character that would have made sense with her history and would have been interesting. It’s a shame.

And India was in love with her!

by Anonymousreply 133March 31, 2022 11:48 PM

Corny Collins was on GL and Seaweed was on AW.

by Anonymousreply 134March 31, 2022 11:53 PM

Remember, she never slept with Phillip before Lujack. Lujack was her “first”.

Beth C’s Beth got a lot of men. Beth was a man magnet. Ben Warren! The hot twink Coop! Beth C’s Beth and Kimberley’s Mindy had a lot of chemistry as friends. More so than Judi and Krista.

You could tell Pam Long loved writing Beth. She had one of the best “back from the dead” stories.

Putting her with Alan is all you need to know why GL was canceled.

by Anonymousreply 135March 31, 2022 11:54 PM

Don’t forget to watch Miss Alan Locher with Pat Bruder tomorrow!

by Anonymousreply 136March 31, 2022 11:54 PM

[quote] The Cory mansion is in Bay City. Corny spent his time in Springfield.

Yes. It was a joke.

by Anonymousreply 137March 31, 2022 11:54 PM

Phillip’s love for Beth was something special. It was so intense and I liked he never got over her even though she was with Lujack for a year and a half before he died. And so was Lujack’s. Pam could write love stories with the best of them.

by Anonymousreply 138April 1, 2022 3:05 AM

Vincent Irizzary went off on how they changed Beth for the worse when he was with Judi on The Locher Room. He did not like the changes. Judi admitted watching a few scenes of Beth Chamberlin’s Beth( Judi, please, you saw way more than that) saying “she was another character something was going on” then Alan said she had a split personality. You mean to tell me she didn’t watch when Beth came back from the dead?

Beth Chamberlin’s Beth actually had a very Judi-esque scene with Roger Thorpe. He came into Beth’s room with a gift as she was about to get married to Phillip. Beth, staring him down and looking disgusted, declined the gift in a way that left Roger taken aback. She then warned him he was hurting two people she loved and it wasn’t going to end well, but she’d keep the secret. She then basically insinuated he GTFO and he did.

by Anonymousreply 139April 1, 2022 3:13 AM

Beth Chamberlain's portrayal was very different. In fact, her earlier run (1989-91) was very different from the later one.

I actually didn't mind the idea of a split between Beth and Phillip. It would have been great to explore Beth finding her own power and standing on her own. But instead she had Lizzie face trauma with Carl, repeating her own history.

And while almost everything else could have been explainable, there is no way Beth would have ever, ever, ever, ever, EVER been with Alan, much less married him.

by Anonymousreply 140April 1, 2022 4:34 AM

The dykey India loved Beth.

by Anonymousreply 141April 1, 2022 8:54 AM

She has an okie look.

by Anonymousreply 142April 1, 2022 9:20 AM

R140 Beth was always standing on her own until her infamous ‘97 return. I agree they really missed so many opportunities to explore the character deeper. The story potential was huge. Instead, they essentially made a strong, artistic, smart rape survivor turn crazy.

Them having her turn to Alan, though she was initially playing him, AND having a baby with him, is one of the most disgusting and degrading things they could have done.

by Anonymousreply 143April 1, 2022 10:36 AM

There was a rumor at one time Beth was a Marland character. He had planned a Beth-like character with an abusive step father. It makes sense when you consider the Angel character on ATWT when he was writing seemed to be an almost carbon copy.

by Anonymousreply 144April 1, 2022 10:57 AM

Remember when Judi’s Beth shoved the mashed potatoes in her mouth during Thanksgiving with Lillian and Bradley? My sister and I so wanted to recreate that scene at our dinner table.

by Anonymousreply 145April 1, 2022 12:44 PM

[quote]There was a rumor at one time Beth was a Marland character. He had planned a Beth-like character with an abusive step father. It makes sense when you consider the Angel character on ATWT when he was writing seemed to be an almost carbon copy.

On Loving, Marland also did a incest storyline soon after the show debuted in 1983 with the Lily Slater character. Lily was played by Jennifer Ashe who went on to play Meg Snyder on ATWT.

ABC forced Loving to cut the incest storyline short because it planned to air a primetime movie of the week, Something About Amelia, where the father (Ted Danson) is sleeping with the daughter. ABC wanted to promote the movie as the first time the incest topic had been dealt with on TV, so Loving had to abruptly wrap up its incest story during Nov. 1983 sweeps before Something About Amelia aired in Jan. 1984.

by Anonymousreply 146April 1, 2022 5:31 PM

Marland broke so many of his own “rules”. Over rated. He copied his own storylines onto the different shows he wrote. Ah. He wasn’t all that.

by Anonymousreply 147April 1, 2022 9:09 PM

It's interesting that by the 1980s, the soap world was so determined to tackle incest. We also had Gloria Monty's primetime show, The Hamptons, which apparently implied it (paraphrased: "I'd do anything for you, dear." "Then stay out of my closet, daddy.") and of course, whatever was going on between Palmer and Nina on All My Children.

by Anonymousreply 148April 1, 2022 11:24 PM

I panicked! but it wasn't the soap Doctors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149April 2, 2022 2:17 AM

R148 Let's not forget Alan and Philip on GL. There was a subtext there as well with Chris Bernau and both Grant and John Bolger.

AW hinted at that with Iris and Mac - that Iris was in love with Daddy. GL didn't imply as strongly re: Alexandra and Lujack/Nick, but there was certainly overwhelming emotions on Alexandra's part, and a controlling side that kicked in.

by Anonymousreply 150April 2, 2022 2:25 AM

When I was a kid, I remember visiting my old aunts who watched Another World. This was before I got into soaps in the early 80s. I recall being shocked that Iris was Mac’s DAUGHTER…she seemed more like his older sister. My aunts didn’t appreciate it when I shared that opinion.

by Anonymousreply 151April 2, 2022 2:58 AM

The hair and makeup at AW made almost all the women look older than they were, especially once it went to an hour. It did neither Wyndham or McKinsey favors. It must have been running on a barebones staff/budget.

by Anonymousreply 152April 2, 2022 4:36 AM

I wonder if AW being produced in Brooklyn made any difference when it came to the behind the scenes stuff. And what made P&G/NBC decide to have that show isolated from the other production company/network/NYC soaps?

by Anonymousreply 153April 2, 2022 4:48 AM

I don't believe that, I think it was the style of the time.

by Anonymousreply 154April 2, 2022 12:54 PM

I never picked up on that, R150.

by Anonymousreply 155April 2, 2022 1:02 PM

Wanna feel old?

Dlisted's birthday listings for today say that Bethany Joy Lenz (Michelle Bauer and teen clone Reva) is 41 and Ashley Peldon - little Marah - is 38.

by Anonymousreply 156April 2, 2022 2:10 PM

How old would McKunty be? 100?

by Anonymousreply 157April 2, 2022 2:54 PM

Wanna feel old?

As the World Turns and Edge of Night both premiered 66 years ago today -- April 2, 1956.

General Hospital and The Doctors both premiered 59 years ago yesterday -- April 1, 1963.

Happy Birthday to all of them!

by Anonymousreply 158April 2, 2022 8:25 PM

OMG Liz! Luckily for us, we're ageless and timeless.

by Anonymousreply 159April 2, 2022 9:00 PM

Good morning....you lazy whores!

by Anonymousreply 160April 3, 2022 1:14 AM

Which of these actresses did vinegary Helen dislike more:

A.) Kathleen Widdoes—played frisky old lady who fucked; matriarch of a family of hillbillies that dabbled in incest; liked to flash her tits at actors on their first day;

B.) Liz Hubbard-played frisky old lady who fucked; like to throw other actors off with her tics and adlibs;

C.) Colleen Zenk-amoral tramp, on and offscreen.

by Anonymousreply 161April 3, 2022 1:40 AM

Did salty Helen Wagner ever show her tits in the make up room?

by Anonymousreply 162April 3, 2022 1:51 AM

let's beat this dead horse some more

by Anonymousreply 163April 3, 2022 4:54 AM

Brian Gaskill was on the Locher Room recently. He's best known for playing teenaged Bobby Warner on AMC in the mid 90s, but also played the angel Rage on Port Charles and briefly played Dylan Lewis on GL toward the end of his run.

Gaskill said that he had a deal with AW in its final 6 months to replace an actor on short notice. Seems one of the younger AW actors went to Hollywood to film a pilot. They were awaiting word on if the pilot would get picked up and if so, the actor was going to have to leave immediately to start filming. So, they had Brian on hold to take over the role overnight if necessary. He said they put him up in a hotel and sent him scripts while they awaited word. He never made it on camera as the pilot wasn't picked up, but he said they paid him each time they sent him a script.

However, he never identified the role and Alan Locher never asked him what the role was! Arggg!

So, who do we think it was? In 1998-99, Brian was a late 20something blond.

He talks about it around the 37:00 mark in the video below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164April 3, 2022 11:34 PM

[quote]but also played the angel Rage on Port Charles

Oh dear! He played the vampire slaying angel RAFE on Port Charles.

by Anonymousreply 165April 3, 2022 11:36 PM

I usually never bitch about the Locher interviews because he's doing something nice and I doubt he's making money off of them, but he sucks at follow-up or picking up on something that the person he interviews will drop.

by Anonymousreply 166April 3, 2022 11:40 PM

Well, at least he asked Patsy Bruder what Ethel Merman was like when she was on Broadway with her in Gypsy.

by Anonymousreply 167April 3, 2022 11:43 PM

[quote]So, who do we think it was? In 1998-99, Brian was a late 20something blond.

Was Felicia’s Russian boy toy still around then?

by Anonymousreply 168April 3, 2022 11:48 PM

Was the guy who was playing Paulina's fake son?

by Anonymousreply 169April 3, 2022 11:49 PM

That fucken Pervsuds at SON will bitch endlessly about our beloved Miss Locher yet the Perv watches every interview. Gotta love us some Alan Locher! He’s doing aomething that gets these queens all moist.

by Anonymousreply 170April 4, 2022 12:32 AM

The show also went off the air in 1999 so it could have been someone who stayed until the end and just worked out a schedule.

by Anonymousreply 171April 4, 2022 12:42 AM

[quote] So, who do we think it was? In 1998-99, Brian was a late 20something blond.

Matt Crane?

by Anonymousreply 172April 4, 2022 12:44 AM

[quote] So, who do we think it was? In 1998-99, Brian was a late 20something blond.

It was the character Tito Banacek played by Troy Hall - he wasn't on contract and could leave at a moments notice WITHOUT giving any notice. But at least he let TPTB what was going on.

The character was Paulina's illegitimate child. Troy Hall is actually a brunette, but for the role they made him dye his hair blond, to look like Paulina.

by Anonymousreply 173April 4, 2022 12:46 AM

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick this thread in the cunt. And I'm all out of bubblegum!

Any of you kind souls know of an open thread where I can discuss the citizens of Llanview, PA? I'm watching the 1989 episodes and have learned/loathed so much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174April 4, 2022 10:26 AM

Has anyone mentioned the lost opportunity of having Beth interact with Lujack’s twin Nick?

by Anonymousreply 175April 4, 2022 10:36 AM

I wanted to see the dyke Mary Kay Adams have chemistry with a man. She craved Judi Evans.

by Anonymousreply 176April 4, 2022 12:27 PM

The best and worst recast on a PG soap?

by Anonymousreply 177April 4, 2022 12:33 PM

R174 for you. Consider your cunt kicked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178April 4, 2022 2:29 PM

[quote] The best and worst recast on a PG soap?

I would say the one where it really was seamless was Carl Evans to Rick Hearst. I thought GL had a few other good ones in this era but not everyone agrees. Most everyone can agree that Carl to Rick worked wonderfully.

Worst I'd say Susan Batten as Connor on ATWT. I liked Susan and actually wish she'd been cast as a recast Roxie on GL but the whole Connor thing was so unnecessary and pointless, a real case of someone not knowing or understanding the show. It wasn't Susan's fault, per se, but she's sadly carried some of the stench from it. Ann Hamilton and Barbara Crampton as Mindy, too - neither were quite right (though to be honest I liked Ann better than Barbara). OH and Signy Coleman as Annie. Ugh.

PS I am counting recasts that happened in relatively short order. ATWT and GL (ATWT especially) did the "reinvent the character" recasts where they'd been gone for many years, and that I don't consider a recast per se. That was character assassination on so many levels (Dusty, Paul, Meg and Craig on ATWT, to name a few, and the terrible later Alan Michael recast on GL)

by Anonymousreply 179April 4, 2022 2:34 PM

Hurts so good, R178. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 180April 4, 2022 2:56 PM

The soap threads are some of the funniest threads. I too remember watching the Beth melodrama after school. She was the goody two shoes to rich girl Mindy Lewis and she did get all the choice dick in town.

I remember that at the time, the rape story line was kind of a big deal, though they had to make sure everyone knew Bradley was her stepfather, so it was just good old rape, not INCEST! Remember when she & Philip ran off to NYC & hid out as clowns in Central Park?

by Anonymousreply 181April 4, 2022 3:21 PM

The best recasts were Marj Dusay and Joan Collins as Alexandra Spaulding. The cast was ELATED that they never had to work around lazy Bev McKinsey’s vacations every three weeks. She never even wanted to work a full day. It made everyone miserable on the set.

by Anonymousreply 182April 4, 2022 6:15 PM

I don't know her.

by Anonymousreply 183April 4, 2022 6:51 PM

Speaking of Roxie, I always wondered why they did not bring back the long-gone character rather than making up a new sister Cassie.

by Anonymousreply 184April 4, 2022 7:28 PM

R184 we all have. It made no sense.

by Anonymousreply 185April 4, 2022 7:30 PM

They were initially saying that Sarah Shayne had a baby boy. Sarah was saying on her deathbed begging, "Find him, Reva. Find him for me." The show seemed to be setting up Brody Hutzler's character of Zachary to be that baby boy.

Then they suddenly changed direction and made the baby a girl. They had Annie Dutton trying to gaslight Reva into thinking she was Sarah Shayne's long lost child. Annie was even wearing a cameo that looked identical to one Sarah had given her baby before giving that baby up.

Then after Annie was exposed as a fraud, Reva went in search of her sister, who turned out to be a stripper named Shady Layne.

by Anonymousreply 186April 4, 2022 7:43 PM

R186 Wow, Liz, I'd forgotten that whole bit about Zachary. Or maybe I missed it all together. That must have been at the end of the McTavish run.

by Anonymousreply 187April 4, 2022 7:46 PM

The recasts of Lisa on ATWT happened because of Eileen F’s digestive issues. Carmen Duncan coming in was basically a warning shot from P&G because the walls of the Brooklyn studio were starting to get a permanent… odor.

by Anonymousreply 188April 4, 2022 9:06 PM

Zachary was first implied to be an angel...which I actually liked. I pretty much liked everything McTavish did. Didn't she give us Brent as Marian, Amish Reva, Holly-Fletcher, Rick-Abby, Blake's twins by different men...

by Anonymousreply 189April 4, 2022 9:17 PM

I think Susan Batten as Connor Walsh on ATWT was one of the worst recasts in soap history. She was so wrong for that role. I think Sharon Gabet as Raven Alexander on EON was an excellent recast.

by Anonymousreply 190April 5, 2022 1:39 AM

I hated when they replaced Fat Ed on THE Guiding Light. I still haven’t gotten over it 45 years later! It ruined my entire life! He should have been in scenes with Fat Reva, Fat Beth, Fat Bert, Fat Rick, and Fat Lillian!

by Anonymousreply 191April 5, 2022 2:35 AM

I cannot imagine Judi’s Beth and Chris’ Alan having a baby. OMFG. I do buy that Chris’ Alan was jealous as hell of Beth and would have been attracted to her down the line but no no no no no would Beth ever do something like sleep with, marry, and have Alan’s baby. Yep, this was what GL thought was great story telling before it was canceled.

Beth Raines was all over GL in the mid 80s and was one of the reasons it rose in popularity although it was already top 4/5. Many girls related to Beth and her troubles. Judi’s Beth didn’t get much dick (only Lujack and Phillip), but Beth C’s got a lot of GRADE A beef.

by Anonymousreply 192April 5, 2022 2:41 AM

You know, I could have lived with just Phillip and Lujack cock in the mid 80s. I wouldn't have needed any others.

by Anonymousreply 193April 5, 2022 2:52 AM

R193 God I know! Bitch got good D.

by Anonymousreply 194April 5, 2022 3:22 AM

[quote] no no no no no would Beth ever do something like sleep with, marry, and have Alan’s baby. Yep, this was what GL thought was great story telling before it was canceled

This was David Kreizman's thing - always trying to deliver an element of shock, history or sense be damned.

by Anonymousreply 195April 5, 2022 4:31 AM

Technically, Beth also got Bradley's dick.

by Anonymousreply 196April 5, 2022 6:20 AM

Fat Ed got the Lenore Kasdorf snatch.

by Anonymousreply 197April 5, 2022 7:22 AM

[quote]I hated when they replaced Fat Ed on THE Guiding Light.

I always liked Fat Ed better too, but I think Ed 2.0 was a way to make Ed the character seem more desirable since all the nurses seemed to be madly in love with him, even if he was a boring fuddy duddy

by Anonymousreply 198April 5, 2022 9:35 AM

R196 Which I’m sure was really big, but I don’t consider rape to be getting legit dick.

I watched a summer ‘84 clip of Beth/Lujack. Damn VI was hot asf. (I’m in my 30s thus can still use young slang terms like asf it’s in the rule book).

Did Beth and family move to SF in ‘83 or were they always supposed to be there and they all met when Beth was in the hospital with Mindy? Did they ever say where they were originally from or where they always from SF?

by Anonymousreply 199April 5, 2022 10:36 AM

Please don't feed the troll.

by Anonymousreply 200April 5, 2022 1:45 PM

James Rebhorn was kind of a hot daddy. Apparently he was the world's nicest man in real life, but he somehow played creepazoids perfectly.

The Angel Lange story at ATWT was mentioned upthread and he was Henry Lange. So in two of the three daytime daughter/stepdaughter rape/incest stories, James played the father or stepfather.

by Anonymousreply 201April 5, 2022 2:12 PM

Beth was GL’s “Laura” in some ways. There was an article about some viewers who, when Genie Francis left GH, switched over to GL because Beth was like Laura. Once Judi left GL, they stopped watching. I cannot remember where I read it. I think I can find it.

by Anonymousreply 202April 7, 2022 3:15 AM

I stopped watching GH in early 1982, soon after Laura disappeared into the fog on the pier. Nothing else about GH interested me at that point.

Soon after that, I sampled GL for the first time and quickly got into it. This was 1982, a year before St. Beth appeared.

I started watching GH again in late Oct. 1983 when Laura returned from the dead. Watched it religiously until Luke and Laura left town at the end of 1983. But during those two months, I also was watching GL regularly since we'd gotten a VCR by that point.

Laura and Beth did share a wholesomeness and an innocence that was very relatable.

by Anonymousreply 203April 7, 2022 6:52 AM

Aunt Lez - no one fucking cares!

by Anonymousreply 204April 7, 2022 9:44 AM

Aunt Liz, don’t tell me you don’t like Beth! Come on! I’m crushed.

by Anonymousreply 205April 7, 2022 11:08 AM

I didn't say I didn't like Beth Rains. However, Beth was not my sole reason for watching GL whereas Laura was the reason I was watching GH.

I'd already been watching GL for a year when Beth arrived on the screen. I came to really like her, especially in the first year she was on. But it did irritate me that Pam was giving her so much material while ignoring longstanding characters. Show definitely became the Beth Show at times in that first year.

I was heartbroken when Phillip and Beth's wedding ended at the alter when Beth learned Mindy was pregnant with Phillip's baby. I still have that tape somewhere. I loved Beth and Lujack together, at least initially. Still have the tape of them riding horseback on the beach while Almost Paradise played.

With GH, I started watching during the Luke and Laura days because of all the buzz about them. It was Laura that I was drawn to. She seemed to be the heart of the show.

I was somewhat repulsed by the Luke character during the Luke and Laura craze. I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. I could see that Tony Geary was a good actor, but couldn't really understand why everyone was going crazy over him. But then, I had the exact same reaction to Todd Manning on OLTL -- good actor but why's everyone gaga about him.

by Anonymousreply 206April 7, 2022 4:39 PM

It’s THE Guiding Light

by Anonymousreply 207April 7, 2022 5:06 PM

I know people were watching in Bay City for ME.

They tried to replace me with someone younger and make me more like Beth and Laura but it didn't work. I'm a dish best served cold, and a little sour!

by Anonymousreply 208April 7, 2022 6:50 PM

I prefer my Rachel Cory when she's not trying to be an English rose.

by Anonymousreply 209April 8, 2022 3:41 AM

Another World 1988-1991 doesn't get enough credit. That was some good soap opera. I watched Mac's funeral today and it was so good.

by Anonymousreply 210April 8, 2022 3:44 AM

Agreed r210. The only thing it lacked were some stronger older male characters.

by Anonymousreply 211April 8, 2022 3:55 AM

Mr. Anna Stuart was on the episode of Julia I watched this evening. He plays her father.

by Anonymousreply 212April 8, 2022 4:27 AM

R210, Mac's funeral was the last Alice/Rachel scene ever.

I can't believe they didn't ask Jacqui back; get some guys for her and Rachel to fight over and try to recreate some magic.

by Anonymousreply 213April 8, 2022 4:57 AM

Chris Bruno was on the Locher Room this week.

Chris played Iris' son Dennis Carrington Wheeler on AW in the early 1990s and then went to AMC to play gay teacher Michael Delaney from 1995-97.

In the discussion Chris reveals he auditioned for the role of Sam Fowler in 1991. Actually, he never said it was Sam but from the info he mentioned about the character being a photographer and Brian Green getting the part, it was easy to deduce the role he was talking about was Sam. Anyway, show indicated they liked Chris and wanted him for some future part. They decided to bring back the Dennis character with Chris playing the part. There hadn't been any plans to bring Dennis back, but they needed a part for Chris to play, so that resulted in Dennis' return.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214April 8, 2022 6:38 AM

[quote]Chris Bruno was on the Locher Room this week.

Good-looking guy, but not a great actor.

by Anonymousreply 215April 8, 2022 11:11 AM

Hello dears! Your favorite Katherine Chancellor, Scoche Marin, has been busy in Genoa City, the setting of THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS, television’s number one daytime drama. Katherine will be holding a beautiful gala at the Colonnade Room, Genoa City’s premier venue for its wealthiest and most respected citizens. Will one of my many secrets be revealed? Darling, you will have to tune in!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216April 8, 2022 11:54 AM

I suppose Dennis was as good of a role to bring back to AW in '91, but was Ben McKinnon also considered?

by Anonymousreply 217April 8, 2022 12:30 PM

According to a post by Alan Locher on FB, Kathryn Hays has died.

I have no words at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 218April 8, 2022 4:22 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219April 8, 2022 4:23 PM

So sad about Kathy Hayes.

She wasn't in great shape the last time she was on the Locher Room.

But still sad when our icons go. Thanks for the years of entertainment you provided us.

by Anonymousreply 220April 8, 2022 4:49 PM

[quote]I suppose Dennis was as good of a role to bring back to AW in '91, but was Ben McKinnon also considered?

I have no idea. I wasn't in the writer's room seeing what options they considered.

But in all honesty, the character had been a bust the first time. Only lasted 8 months -- July 1984-Feb. 1985. His parents were both off the show. His sister Kathleen was only back in Bay City to throw a wrench in the Cass-Frankie romance and would be written out in Nov. 1991. So, his only connect to the canvas at that point was his cousin Jake.

Dennis had much stronger connections to the canvas and much stronger history to draw upon.

by Anonymousreply 221April 8, 2022 4:57 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222April 8, 2022 5:22 PM

Kathy Hays looked like she already died during The Locher Room.

by Anonymousreply 223April 8, 2022 6:05 PM

Susan Stewart is a human roach nest!

by Anonymousreply 224April 8, 2022 8:55 PM

That makes sense, AuntLiz. The reason why I figured Ben was because he had (seriously?) dated Marley, who Dennis ended up with for a spell.

by Anonymousreply 225April 9, 2022 12:23 AM

I drobe the hersh

by Anonymousreply 226April 10, 2022 1:24 AM

Oh Babsy, you can’t legally drive anymore after your dui’s. Plural.

by Anonymousreply 227April 10, 2022 1:42 AM

Shotgun! Buut only when the pullish getsh here

by Anonymousreply 228April 10, 2022 2:35 AM

Chris looks more like the actor who played Ben than he did Dennis IMHO.

by Anonymousreply 229April 10, 2022 6:06 AM

Anyone know why Charles Grant left the show in 1990? I loved the Sam/Amanda/Evan triangle (Amanda couldn't go wrong, IMO) and it felt like he was written off suddenly out of nowhere. He was a Frame, so I know they could have found more story for him.

by Anonymousreply 230April 11, 2022 9:46 PM

Charles Grant moved to LA at the end of his contract.

by Anonymousreply 231April 11, 2022 10:10 PM

Plus Charles Grant was chubby towards the end. Evan should have been sent to a fat farm.

by Anonymousreply 232April 11, 2022 10:25 PM

I liked Miss Beth Raines! Here’s the thing- were Beth and Mindy really friends in Judi’s run?

by Anonymousreply 233April 11, 2022 10:27 PM

Wasn't Mindy busily trying to scam the pendulous one away from Beth? That's hardly to makings for a real friendship. A rivalry, sure.

by Anonymousreply 234April 11, 2022 10:55 PM

They were the 4 Musketeers but were Beth and Mindy that close? It was always looked back as they were. Beth Chamberlin’s Beth and Kim Simms’ Mindy definitely were best friends. Judi and Krista’s? Any old time viewers remember? The YouTube rabbit hole I’m in from the 80seems to show Mindy treating Beth like shit, jealous of her, trying to one up her. I think she even got Beth out of the Sampson Girl contest (which was hard to watch. Yeezz GL had a few stinker stories at that time).

by Anonymousreply 235April 11, 2022 11:50 PM

Is it true that Philip Spaulding can suck his own cock?

by Anonymousreply 236April 11, 2022 11:57 PM

R236 Easily

by Anonymousreply 237April 11, 2022 11:57 PM

Doesh anybody havesh bail moneysh?

by Anonymousreply 238April 12, 2022 1:17 AM

When the Four Musketeers started in summer 1983, Phillip was dating Mindy and Rick was dating Beth. However, Phillip began lusting after Beth and become increasingly protective of her once he learned what a threat Bradley was and later about Bradley molesting Beth.

After the four all ran away to New York in Nov. 1983 to escape Bradley, it was obvious to everyone that Phillip was in love with Beth. Rick and Mindy got out of the way to let them be together.

Phillip and Beth were set to be married in March 1984, but as she was about to walk down the aisle, Beth learned that Mindy was pregnant with Phillip's baby (blame Billy's big mouth for blurting it out at the wrong time). Beth broke up with Phillip right there on the alter and soon after was in Lujack's orbit.

Meanwhile, Phillip and Mindy had a shotgun wedding, but Mindy miscarried soon after.

For the most part, Beth was out of the orbit of the other Three Musketeers from then on. Rick got involved with Roxie. Mindy fell for Kurt and Phillip was blackmailed into marriage by India.

Beth and Lujack didn't interact with them that much. There was the occasional scene of Phillip trying to challenge Lujack for Beth's heart, but India was usually nearby to remind Phillip he was married to her.

Once Grant left in Dec. 1984, you started seeing Beth interact with the other Three Musketeers more.

by Anonymousreply 239April 12, 2022 1:48 AM

How many times did cranky Helen Wagner come close to a dui?!?

by Anonymousreply 240April 12, 2022 2:24 AM

So great wise Aunt Liz, am I right to say Mindy and Beth weren’t the good friends they were later made out to be during Judi’s time? Because they were definitely best friends during Chamberlin’s time with Simms.

by Anonymousreply 241April 12, 2022 3:26 AM

I might be wrong on this one, but wasn't Beth introduced as Mindy's roommate in the hospital? I can't remember what Mindy's problem was, but Beth had "an accident" (which, of course, turned out to be abuse from Bradley).

by Anonymousreply 242April 12, 2022 3:52 AM

I'm shocked that Mindy Lewis didn't have a private room.

by Anonymousreply 243April 12, 2022 3:54 AM

R243 She did, but Saint Beth ruined it as usual.

by Anonymousreply 244April 12, 2022 4:09 AM

Beth ruined everything! And got all the good D to boot.

by Anonymousreply 245April 12, 2022 4:12 AM

It is really sad Mindy left just as Beth came back in 1997. Beth needed a good friend to ground her. Rick wasn’t getting good writing, either. Chamberlin had decent chemistry for the brief time she had with Krista, but nothing beat her chemistry with Simms.

by Anonymousreply 246April 12, 2022 4:13 AM

I did think India’s reaction to Beth being alive in 1990 was cold. India was not cold like that. But her line, “Saint Beth of Raines” is iconic.

by Anonymousreply 247April 12, 2022 4:15 AM

Mindy was no slouch in the good D department either, except for Roger. God only knows what she saw in him. I'll give a pass on Rick, because he probably had a thick cock.

by Anonymousreply 248April 12, 2022 4:18 AM

Josh probably had the perfect dong. Big, but not so big it needed two hands like Philip. Could fuck all night.

by Anonymousreply 249April 12, 2022 4:32 AM

India always came across as a lezzy. Pheeleep can I eat Beth’s snatch now???

by Anonymousreply 250April 12, 2022 4:43 AM

[quote]am I right to say Mindy and Beth weren’t the good friends they were later made out to be during Judi’s time?

I don't recall exactly how Beth was introduced, but in the hospital sounds like it is correct. Mindy, in true Minday fashion, initially treated her like they were instant best friends, especially since they were dating Rick and Phillip who were best friends.

Beth, however, was more lukewarm to Mindy, holding a lot back. But then, abuse survivors tend to play their cards close to the chest as they learn its not safe to trust anyone.

Mindy was the maid of honor at Beth's aborted wedding to Phillip in March 1984. However, after Beth learned Mindy was pregnant with Phillip's baby, that pretty much ended the friendship. And then Beth was spun off from the Four Musketeers into Lujack's orbit.

From what I recall, Judi's Beth had little interaction with Krista's Mindy for the rest of the time Judi was on the show. When they did interact, Beth was polite and cordial, eventually warming back up to her some. But they were never portrayed as best buds. That being said, Beth was certainly friendlier to Mindy than she ever was to India.

As far as Beth Chamberlain's Beth and Kimberly Simms' Mindy, them being best friends would be a bit of revisionist history., However, in true Mindy fashion, she greeted Beth as if they were close friends when she first saw Beth alive again, hugging her and saying, "I'm so glad you're alive!" Sort of a let's put the past behind us and be friends attitude, which was true to Mindy's personality.

Beth C's Beth greeted her equally warmly and they pretty much stayed best friends after that. So, it was Beth's attitude that was changed. However, after all the hell Beth had been through while she was presumed dead, seeing a friendly face was likely exactly what she needed. By this point, Blake was gunning for her, so Beth really needed a best friend at this point. She too was ready to ready to forgive and forget.

So, that's a long winded way of saying the Beth and Mindy friendship portrayed in the show's final 20 years may have been a bit of revisionist history, but it was also in keeping with both their personalities and the situations they had survived.

by Anonymousreply 251April 12, 2022 6:26 AM

According to this write up of Beth Raines history, yes, she was first introduced in the hospital as Mindy's roommate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252April 12, 2022 7:13 AM

R251 Thanks for that Aunt Liz!

I am more familiar with BC and KS interactions. It was revisionist history but they definitely made it sound like Beth and Mindy had been best friends when Beth came back from the dead. Wasn’t Beth supposed to be in Mindy’s wedding to Kurt but she was kidnapped by Infinity? The vids on YouTube are spotty during this time.

From what I’ve watched from the 80s, Mindy was not nice to Beth when she was initially with Lujack. She felt Beth treated Philip poorly once they broke up. I was not clear in the videos if Mindy felt they should get back together or she wanted Philip back. Mindy definitely was a bitch towards Beth when it was Mindy who did her dirty. Once scene was Philip catching B &L at the boarding house. Mindy was bitching at Beth and Beth basically let her have it telling her it was none of her business but she also oddly treated Mindy as more a nuisance not a former good friend.

I can’t understand why Judi’s Beth was described as weak even by Judi herself. From all I’ve seen, she wasn’t even close to being weak.

by Anonymousreply 253April 12, 2022 11:06 AM

As for Beth and India, ummm, Beth had every reason to not be friendly with her. LOL. India was a stone cold bitch to her but Beth largely brushed her off. In fact, as I noted earlier, Beth seemed to brush off and ignore Mindy and India even when they were directly addressing them. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 254April 12, 2022 11:10 AM

AuntLiz, one correction. Beth and Mindy were very friendly when Mindy married Kurt. They had fully made up by the time Beth was presumed dead so both greeting each other warmly after Beth came back alive was not letting bygones be bygones. Their friendship grew rapidly from there into them being true best friends.

One story line that would have played out so well, if they had sent Phillip to jail instead of marrying B/P, would be letting Mindy and Nick get together, bringing Beth back to see Lujack’s twin and seeing how Alexandra would have reacted. Also, how would Alex have reacted to knowing Beth knew about Mindy and Roger? Beth was practically her daughter as she said many times.

by Anonymousreply 255April 13, 2022 1:55 AM

Beth should have met Nick and had a one night stand with him, and then she could have let us know if Nick's dick was just like Lujack's or not.

by Anonymousreply 256April 13, 2022 3:22 PM

I think I must be the only person who never got the big deal about Vincent Irizarry. To be fair, I've only seen clips of him as Lujack, but I was a full-time Guiding Light viewer when he came on as Nick McHenry. I've also seen him on AMC. I've always found him to be snooze. Low energy and not particularly charismatic despite his good looks. I've read that he slept with every single Mindy he was paired with, so I imagine him to be more charming off-screen.

When they paired Irizarry with Hillary Edson's Eve Guthrie, I was glad because I was able to fast-forward more easily since I hated them both. She was terrible on Another World too (on that soap, I fast-forwarded through her scenes with Michael Hudson).

by Anonymousreply 257April 13, 2022 4:11 PM

R257 He definitely had an edge as Lujack, but I have never seen that again in any other role he's played, and his entire run as Nick was, I agree, a snooze.

And he not only was with all the Mindys, but he had that habit of sleeping with all his costars, period. He and Signy Coleman were paired on Santa Barbara and they had a kid together.

by Anonymousreply 258April 13, 2022 4:21 PM

I was watching when Vince debuted as Lujack. I didn't see what the big deal was at the time. I really only warmed to the Lujack character toward the end of his run, about the time they had him filming the music video for his cover of Springsteen's Out in the Streets. Then when he came back in 91 as Nick, I really enjoyed him.

His other roles -- Scott Clark on Santa Barbara and David Hayward on AMC -- I could take or leave. I think he's an acquired taste.

He's obviously got, or at least had, lots of personal issues to work through since he routinely dated so many of his co-stars. He even married Signy Coleman when she ended up pregnant. I think even he recognized he had a problem when he ended up involved with three Mindys in a row. Soon after is apparently when he found God and got religion.

Incidentally, I don't think he was ever involved with Krista Tesreau, but he definitely was with the other three Mindys. And don't forget he was also involved with Kristi Ferrell.

by Anonymousreply 259April 13, 2022 4:37 PM

I never got the appeal of VI...but I'm the oddball who preferred Rick to Philip.

by Anonymousreply 260April 13, 2022 8:54 PM

He and Judi also did not have a fling.

by Anonymousreply 261April 13, 2022 9:59 PM

[quote]He and Judi also did not have a fling.

True. But Judi was involved with GL director John Whitesell by the point Vince joined the show.

by Anonymousreply 262April 13, 2022 10:06 PM

Vince I wasn't the only one who got romantically involved with many of his screen partners.

Beth Ehlers did the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 263April 13, 2022 10:09 PM

r262 And he was abusive to her, correct? It’s sad Judi had a terrible time on GL (it seems because she never speaks well of her time on the show as she does about other shows) when every actor who worked at GL from the 80s on say it was such a nice, fun place to work full of helpful people.

by Anonymousreply 264April 13, 2022 10:10 PM

Did Judi getsh a DUIs?

by Anonymousreply 265April 14, 2022 12:38 AM

by Anonymousreply 266April 14, 2022 1:51 AM

Have we ever attempted to rank the soap backstage environments from most toxic to most pleasant?

by Anonymousreply 267April 14, 2022 2:00 AM

[quote] It’s sad Judi had a terrible time on GL

I tried typing this before and I swear it disappeared. But Judi did have a bad experience for a few reasons. One was across the board professional jealousy from most of the cast. Judi was, astonishingly, the first competitive Emmy for GL in an actor/actress category. She apparently got a cold shoulder from many of the vets who thought they were more deserving. That escalated once she was dating John Whitesell.

She did not get along with Grant or Michael O'Leary. I think that was part of why she was moved out of that story and Beth/Lujack became a thing. Anyone who saw the Locher Room with the "four Musketeers" can pretty much cut the tension between those folks with a knife - in fact, they might need a saw.

by Anonymousreply 268April 14, 2022 2:15 AM

Wasn’t AW a fairly happy set? So was AMC. I’ve read ATWT could be unhappy. GH and Y&R had lots of drama.

by Anonymousreply 269April 14, 2022 2:42 AM

I've mostly heard that GL was happy. Of the P&G shows, it was relatively calm. Certain performers would poison the well a bit (Wendy Moniz and Frankie G come to mind) but it was mostly calm.

Most of that went out the window at ATWT and GL once the pay cuts came. Everyone knew then the clock was running out.

by Anonymousreply 270April 14, 2022 3:27 AM

I watched the Wendy Moniz “Locher Room” interview. I do NOT think she was the trouble some claim. Watch it. And Maeve Kinkaid said lovely things about working with her. She was a massive GL fan. She was stoked to be there and she was profuse in her praise for the show, the actors, the crew.

GL was obviously a very happy set which makes it PUZZLING (in capitals!) why sweet Judi Evans was treated poorly for winning an Emmy like it was her fault the industry inexplicably never nominated someone from one of the best acted shows. AND she was like 19! It just doesn’t makes sense with the show everyone else describes. We need some real tea on who treated her badly, what was done, what was said, how long did it go on.

Also, everyone loved Michael O’Leary. He’s a teddy bear. I can’t believe they didn’t get along based on, from some, teasing about weight. Judi never got fat. She grew huge knockers that GL was intent to cover up making her look dowdy at times.

by Anonymousreply 271April 14, 2022 4:02 AM

Vinnie I has a huge cock. He got so much pussy back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 272April 14, 2022 7:29 AM

Totally random question. Do any of you former AW viewers remember why Frankie Frame didn't go by Ordway?

by Anonymousreply 273April 14, 2022 4:15 PM

She changed her name and image after high school r273. I remember she went to her high school reunion with Cass and her classmates knew her as nerdy, bifocal wearing Mary Frances Ordway.

by Anonymousreply 274April 14, 2022 5:17 PM

Thank you R274!🥰

by Anonymousreply 275April 14, 2022 5:24 PM

I always chuckled back in the mid1970s when Frank's sister Molly was on the show.

For a while, Dennis Carrington was dating Molly Ordway, much to Iris' chagrin. Iris always referred to her as "that Ordway creature."

by Anonymousreply 276April 14, 2022 5:25 PM

Iris was such a damned snob with her above ground pool and fancy New York friends.

by Anonymousreply 277April 14, 2022 5:27 PM

That above ground pool is what Iris should have been a snob about. So low class. So not Iris and her society friends.

Frankly, I think Iris would rather go without a pool at all than to have one that is above ground.

by Anonymousreply 278April 14, 2022 6:02 PM

And they would lounge on the side of the pool in skimpy speedos. What poor Louise must have thought.

by Anonymousreply 279April 14, 2022 6:04 PM

Thank you for coming to Chez Iris, Poolside!

For my next number, Bye Bye Blackbird!

by Anonymousreply 280April 14, 2022 7:09 PM

Hiya Iris, can I go topless in your pool?

by Anonymousreply 281April 14, 2022 7:34 PM

I think I caught a parasite from Iris’ pool once.

by Anonymousreply 282April 14, 2022 7:39 PM

Why does that "Hiya Iris" line never stop cracking me up? I need help.

by Anonymousreply 283April 14, 2022 8:38 PM

I was surprised they never ended up bringing Beth’s biological father to Springfield. He apparently died in combat in Vietnam. They ended up doing that with Harley and Frank’s dad Buzz instead.

by Anonymousreply 284April 14, 2022 9:53 PM

Enough is enough!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285April 14, 2022 10:42 PM

P&G fans may recall Kevin Conroy who played Jerry Grove on AW. Jerry Grove is the one who raped Clarice in what was later described as a schizophrenitc fit. However, Conroy wasn't playing the part at that point, Paul Tinder was.

Conroy went on to play Chase Kendall of Search for Tomorrow in 1984-85. He also played Bart Fallmont on Dynast in the 1985-86.

But Conroy's biggest claim to fame is providing the voice of Batman in various Batman animated series starting in the 1990s.

Conroy has long been open about being gay, but apparently many of his fans didn't get the memo until this week.

Heads are exploding over the idea of Batman being gay, while others are finding the info affirming.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286April 14, 2022 10:43 PM

I never allowed them to cast big girls on my program.

by Anonymousreply 287April 15, 2022 12:58 AM

Nein

by Anonymousreply 288April 15, 2022 6:49 PM

India SO wanted her tongue on Beth’s clit.

by Anonymousreply 289April 15, 2022 6:53 PM

Nein

by Anonymousreply 290April 15, 2022 6:53 PM

Are we M'd yet, darlings?

by Anonymousreply 291April 16, 2022 3:06 PM

Nope

by Anonymousreply 292April 16, 2022 4:17 PM

Fabulous!

by Anonymousreply 293April 16, 2022 5:07 PM

I am not a subscriber and am still able to post.

by Anonymousreply 294April 16, 2022 6:26 PM

R247, it was one of India's better moments.

Phillip's trying to keep her away from him as he's showering and she's trying to get in the shower with him.

Her other lines were, I recall, 'Is everyone in Springfield who wears pants still in love with her?' and 'I do not give her permission to be alive.' and 'The Blonde Virgin rises!'

by Anonymousreply 295April 17, 2022 3:59 AM

I wish Mary Kay had stayed with GL in late 1990.

Imagine what role she would have played in the Roger/Alex fall out and beyond.

When Bev left in 1992, they really wouldn't needed to have recast her and God Bless Marj but, to me, she was never Alexandra.

For some reason, I liked Joan in the part; maybe it's because more time had passed.

But India in the mansion would have been great. The writers didn't know how to write her when she came back circa 1999.

I believe she wrote part of her farewell speech in 1990 herself; she said it to the room but it was really just to Phillip: "We only part to meet again. Change ye list ye winds. My heart shall be the faithful compass that still points to thee."

Nice.

Go to about 2:02

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296April 17, 2022 4:04 AM

Mary Kay Adams always came across as a dyke. The audience knew she was not into “Pheeelleeep”.

by Anonymousreply 297April 18, 2022 12:45 PM

Snatches are not being eaten today.

by Anonymousreply 298April 18, 2022 6:26 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299April 19, 2022 9:54 PM

Alice who?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300April 19, 2022 10:01 PM

There may not be any snatches eaten today, but if you fast forward to 1:40, I'll show you what happens to bitches that fuck with me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301April 20, 2022 9:57 AM

What were turning points for soaps where they were headed for disaster but something turned them around?

ATWT- 1986 with Marland. It was seen as old, ancient. Ratings were down. GL- 1988 after it spent years (with few exceptions) as a top 3/4/5 rated soap even opposite a cultural phenomenon. 1986/87 were brutal. I know GL reinvented itself in early 80s to keep up with being seen as viable to the younger viewers but its ratings stayed high.

by Anonymousreply 302April 20, 2022 11:02 AM

Did Connie Ford like to kick a cunt or lick a cunt? Or both?

by Anonymousreply 303April 20, 2022 12:09 PM

Connie was on Perry Mason the other day playing a woman with DID. It was awesome. Connie just knocks it our of the park in every performance. Don't know why AW cast her as the put upon mother, when she could play a troublemaker so well.

by Anonymousreply 304April 20, 2022 1:33 PM

Want to know my beauty secret? My screen partners loved it!

by Anonymousreply 305April 20, 2022 5:21 PM

Cunt, kicked.

by Anonymousreply 306April 20, 2022 7:33 PM

Kathryn Hays thread is M'ed.

by Anonymousreply 307April 21, 2022 12:29 AM

I guess I’l bring up Beth again in this dead thread.

When she came back from the dead, Beth C was nowhere near as beautiful and dynamic as she was when Beth returned after she and Phillip divorced. She grew much better with age even though she was far from ugly before. Just…..plain. She didn’t have Judi’s edge. Boy how she came back the 2nd time completely different looks and edge-wise. I don’t think it was all the writing though Beth was assassinated as a character on her 2nd return. I always wondered if Pam Long saw how they wrote her then. I bet she’d have been as pissed off as Vincent Irizarry was.

by Anonymousreply 308April 21, 2022 2:02 AM

New thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309April 21, 2022 2:47 AM

R309 Why? This one is not M’d.

by Anonymousreply 310April 21, 2022 2:51 AM

Something smells stinky.

by Anonymousreply 311April 21, 2022 2:52 AM

Finally, we've had sufficient of Beth.

by Anonymousreply 312April 21, 2022 3:23 AM

Never happen, India. As much as you protest, you've never been able to get enough of me.

by Anonymousreply 313April 21, 2022 8:32 AM

R312 No matter how much you beg, India, you will never have my golden pussy.

by Anonymousreply 314April 21, 2022 10:25 AM

Who’s snatch did Mo Garrett sample? Mary Kay’s?

by Anonymousreply 315April 21, 2022 10:34 AM

I’m not using the new thread until this is M’d. What a waste of a new thread. We get M’d way too often to jump to a new thread now.

by Anonymousreply 316April 21, 2022 11:10 AM

There's another joy to using an M'd thread....a certain calm and quiet

by Anonymousreply 317April 21, 2022 2:08 PM

I'm glad this one is still open, but I appreciate having a backup. I didn't watch ATWT but noticed the Kathryn Hays thread was jumping. I'm not surprised it got axed.

I can't believe soap threads are still forbidden here. What's it been-- about fifteen years now since that awful influx of fanbases? I was away from DL for a few years and had forgotten about the ban. Such a shame.

by Anonymousreply 318April 21, 2022 3:03 PM

[quote]I can't believe soap threads are still forbidden here.

If they were forbidden, you wouldn't see them at all. My own theory on why they're always Murieled is that too many posts by one person triggers an automatic closure to non-payers -- and the mentally ill troll always reaches the threshold within a couple hundred posts.

by Anonymousreply 319April 21, 2022 3:15 PM

R318 They aren't forbidden and haven't been deleted for ages upon ages upon ages.

Our current issue is the mentally ill troll as referenced in R319 - someone who has been blocked and banned from Soap Opera Network's message boards and just....is truly a mentally damaged person. Some of the things he posts and says are just insanity personified. AND he's got about 4 accounts. So a new thread can be M'd within about a week just because this bitch posts and then talks to itself on every thread.

by Anonymousreply 320April 21, 2022 3:20 PM

It's not just soap threads that get Murieled. I post regularly in the threads discussing each day's Jeopardy episode. They apparently also get Murieled. At least that's what we've been told. As I paid subsciber, I can't tell when a thread has been M'ed.

My theory is that its threads who get a small number of posters, but those people post over and over again in the thread. Thus, it's threads that have a loyal but small number of followers that are visited by Muriel Threads that attract a wider range of posters don't get M'ed

by Anonymousreply 321April 21, 2022 4:38 PM

[quote]St. Beth of Raines Spaulding Bauer Lemay Winslow Spaulding

We know that Judi's Beth qualifies for sainthood. No question about that.

But would Beth C's Beth qualify for that same sainthood?

As we've often discussed, the Beth Rains we saw form 1997 onward has little relation to the Beth of the 1980s. They were written so vastly different, they were basically two different characters who happened to have the same name.

Much like Brian Bloom's Dusty Donovan and Grayson McCouch's Dusty Donovan have nothing in common except a name.

by Anonymousreply 322April 21, 2022 4:45 PM

I think BC's Beth is the natural progression of someone who had gone through all that JE's Beth had gone through. At her core, still decent, but damaged and a little hardened, but still prone to bad choices in a search for what she lost in her youth.

by Anonymousreply 323April 21, 2022 5:34 PM

I think I land between Aunt Liz and R323.

I still think - despite Rauchland and those infernal yellow dresses - that Beth was somewhat still Beth and, as R323 said, the more adult version of Beth. One where Philip, the knight in shining armor, ended up being imperfect.

I was more or less on board until the whole Lorelai thing and then it all jumped the tracks. I could understand her romances with Matt and Coop (yum!) to a degree, but the Alan thing was just.....no. And then I don't know how it could ever be justified to reunite them as they did in the end.

I thought Vanessa was ruined much earlier on, when she became a simp for Matt and then faked her death - which really just killed her (no pun intended) for me for many years.

by Anonymousreply 324April 21, 2022 5:44 PM

I thought Daniel Cosgrove was Beth Chamberlain's best screen partner, after Grant.

Daniel and Beth shined together. Much more so than Daniel and Marcy (Emme) Ryland did a few years later.

by Anonymousreply 325April 21, 2022 6:06 PM

I am posting this on all the P&G related forums.

The Locher Room will have a Lisa Brown tribute next Friday 4/29.

And they *finally* have John Wesley Shipp participating in one of these.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326April 21, 2022 8:44 PM

did dusty ever have any scenes with john or paul when he returned?

by Anonymousreply 327April 21, 2022 9:59 PM

Dusty and Paul had scenes but they were so totally different that there was no sort of "remember when" moment. They became romantic rivals.

Not sure on the Dusty/John scenes. It wasn't too much before Bryggman left that Grayson McCouch joined ATWT.

by Anonymousreply 328April 21, 2022 11:08 PM

Late 1990s on GL had so many actors favorites. There was Grant, Beth C., Zimmer, Newman, Maeve, Peter Simon (I think), Lisa Brown, Jerry verDorn...Jordan...others.

But the stories all sucked. We got San Cristobel, Clone Reva, Phillip and Harley (my biggest gripe with that was that Alan-Michael never came back to electrify that storyline). I kept waiting and waiting for things to get better.

There were brief moments and short arcs but...GL was gone after Pam left in 1990/early 1991 in my book.

Yes, yes, Reilly, Curlee and DeMorest were good.

by Anonymousreply 329April 21, 2022 11:22 PM

[quote]But the stories all sucked. We got San Cristobel, Clone Reva, Phillip and Harley (my biggest gripe with that was that Alan-Michael never came back to electrify that storyline). I kept waiting and waiting for things to get better.

We can thank Brown and Esensten, who thought they were much better writers than they actually were.

by Anonymousreply 330April 21, 2022 11:56 PM

ATWT and AMC both bounced back in 1986. Marland’s successful reinvention of ATWT has been discussed, but AMC had come off a really bad period, but someone pulled it together and it became an excellent show again. I’d say from 1986-1990, they were the two best soaps. AMC remained quite good for a while longer, but I lost interest with ATWT in the early 90s. I did start watching AW and GL a little bit then, but I was out of college and working by then and only had time for one soap so I stuck with AMC. I was never a fan of the other ABC or Bell soaps.

AMC always gets mentioned as having a happy set and good backstage vibe, Lucci/Gellar and Kiberd/Collins feuds aside.

Sorry for discussing a non-P&G soap. :-)

by Anonymousreply 331April 22, 2022 10:02 AM

As much as I loved Marland's ATWT it was not at its best from late 89 to early 91. The change of Lily & Frannie threw a wrench into things, and while Ellen Dolan as Margo eventually worked well, that also took some time.

The best thing in this time frame was the Bob/Kim/Susan story.

by Anonymousreply 332April 22, 2022 4:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!