Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dubious DL experiences/encounters with celebrities

I read an old thread where some DLer claims to have lived in LA "in the early 80s" down the street from Julia Roberts and Jason Patric when they were shacked up together, and about how pleasant she was to the poster and his lover.

But Julia was only 13 y.o. in 1980.

What are some others?

by Anonymousreply 63March 16, 2022 3:46 PM

Yes, but sometimes when you have a few decades on you the years blend together after a while. When in the midst of conversation you don't always stop to think exactly what year it is but instead say the 80's or 90's when there could be a 5 or 7 year leeway just because it's in the way back machine of your mind.

For instance, I've had so many jobs and experiences I have to think back, Ok, May of 96, I was working at X Hotel in Xtown living on X Street.

by Anonymousreply 1March 5, 2022 2:09 PM

I’m 55. “The other day” can literally mean a couple of days ago or 10 years ago in my mind lately.

by Anonymousreply 2March 5, 2022 2:16 PM

Someone on DL jumped all over me one time when I recalled meeting a music celebrity's mother.🤣 It wasn't a celebrity I cared about nor followed and the gist of my remark was how cute and proud this little old lady was of her spawn and how she gushed about said celebrity and said we should make sure to go to the concert that night. I think I said it was "about" 1996 and the DL'er proceeded to school me in how it couldn't possibly be that 1996 because there wasn't a tour that year and that I was a BIG FAT LIAR. 🤣 So now I just refer to the decade.

by Anonymousreply 3March 5, 2022 2:19 PM

People who track you, stalk, examine every date etc have nothing to say and have no lives of their own.

by Anonymousreply 4March 5, 2022 2:26 PM

I don't know how anyone could think Roberts was a star in the early 80s. That's a pretty huge mistake. That's not like saying 2001 when you meant 2002. So either Dementia Joe is posting here now, or they were LYING.

by Anonymousreply 5March 5, 2022 2:27 PM

I was aquainted with a guy who worked at the Kroger down the street. He was always fun and lovely to me. I later found out he was uniformly loathed by the entire staff. I think he was a habitual liar. He told me he lived in Phoenix and at one point went to Stevie Nicks's house to work on her pool. He told me she showed him around the house blah blah blah.

As most of us know, FW takes long breaks from recording and touring. I asked him if she was w/FW went he did the pool work. His face had the strangest expression. And that was the end of that part of the conversation. It was like, "Don't go there." Normally I would've continued on, asking was she on hiatus from the band.

But his expression was almost eerie. I later found out some rather harrowing info about him, so this goes along with that narrative.

by Anonymousreply 6March 5, 2022 2:30 PM

I love how this thread isn’t going how OP thought it would.

by Anonymousreply 7March 5, 2022 2:33 PM

Because it is the worst idea for a thread, ever

by Anonymousreply 8March 5, 2022 2:34 PM

R5, Someone from the Greatest Generation, the Silent Generation or even an early boomer could make that mistake. In general, the older you are the less you care about popular culture and become interested in other pursuits. As well, people who are very focused and passionate about their careers sometimes aren't that aware of popular culture, especially scientists, researchers, federal agents, and very busy surgeons. I've dated men that confused actresses or didn't know their names but knew their face. It's just not that important to them.

by Anonymousreply 9March 5, 2022 2:43 PM

OP In the mid-1970s, someone saw Julia changing at a community pool in Georgia when she still had her vestigial tail.

by Anonymousreply 10March 5, 2022 2:46 PM

Those of us who work in the entertainment industry, high-end hotels or in NY, SF, LA, Chicago, Nashville, DC are bound to run into celebrities, tech giants or politicians. What's so hard to believe about that?

by Anonymousreply 11March 5, 2022 2:47 PM

There's always someone like OP to make you regret sharing any honest stories on DL. So many don't bother, and thus we end up with retarded posts like "I stuck a grape up my butt. Now what?"

by Anonymousreply 12March 5, 2022 2:48 PM

But R9 it seems to me you would know what time period you were living in a place (LA in this instance), since that poster claimed he had a house there. That's not the kind of thing you get mixed up.

by Anonymousreply 13March 5, 2022 2:48 PM

R13 you could just say "I'm too young to realize how time gets harder to track as you age." We get it!

by Anonymousreply 14March 5, 2022 2:50 PM

^ Yep

by Anonymousreply 15March 5, 2022 2:52 PM

In the 90's my father referred to Martin Sheen as "a kid."

by Anonymousreply 16March 5, 2022 2:53 PM

[quote]it seems to me you would know what time period you were living in a place (LA in this instance), since that poster claimed he had a house there. That's not the kind of thing you get mixed up.

R13, I always thought that exact thing, then I met Dad's caregiver. She's four years younger than I (so, early to mid-50s now), and she has THE worst consciousness of time I have ever met. She'll recount some event to me, and when I ask her when it happened, she always laughs and says "Now, R, you KNOW I'm not good with that kind of thing! Late 80s, maybe, or mid 90s?).

I know I'm a natural time-obsessive; from early childhood my most used words were "When?" and "Where?". Eventually I realized that as much as I'm the type who values finding every piece of a puzzle, there are as many (if not more) who don't care at all, and are exasperated at being asked such questions.

But it doesn't *necessarily* mean they're lying or their veracity is not to be trusted; they're just wired differently.

by Anonymousreply 17March 5, 2022 3:37 PM

I'm 46. I saw John Denver in an airport one time. The only time frame I could give you about when that happened is that it was before he died. Some people ARE wired differently.

by Anonymousreply 18March 5, 2022 3:51 PM

I dated a military officer in his early 40s who was a John Nash type - a math/engineering genius but lacked cultural fluency. He could not recall the names of places he visited in Europe, or even the US unless it was a major city. For instance. He would remember Rome, but not Milan, confused Seattle with Portland, etc.

by Anonymousreply 19March 5, 2022 3:57 PM

This is the weirdest most random thread ever. What is going on here lol

by Anonymousreply 20March 6, 2022 1:54 PM

Here is the thread in question. And reply 15 is the one that contains the EST about Roberts/Patric.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 6, 2022 6:07 PM

R21 that was probably one of her paid PR people posting on here to do damage control.

by Anonymousreply 22March 6, 2022 6:09 PM

Julia spent a year or two in Connecticut in the mid-eighties. Eric Roberts bought or rented a house and brought Julia and her sister up from Georgia to live there.

by Anonymousreply 23March 7, 2022 10:02 PM

That's great R23 but that poster said she was living in LA in the early eighties. They lied.

by Anonymousreply 24March 7, 2022 10:20 PM

Was Jason Patric even a thing in the early 80s? The first I heard of him personally was in "Rush" which was from 1991.

by Anonymousreply 25March 7, 2022 10:23 PM

R24/OP, the poster didn’t lie, they made a mistake. As virtually every response in this tread is pointing out to you.

by Anonymousreply 26March 7, 2022 10:56 PM

r25, LOST BOYS

by Anonymousreply 27March 7, 2022 10:57 PM

whoops, you said early.

by Anonymousreply 28March 7, 2022 10:58 PM

Well R26 we know they lied because they said how great she was, when we all know that she is cunt and a homophobe. So maybe they also got the date mixed up because they are a liar and never lived there.

by Anonymousreply 29March 7, 2022 10:59 PM

[quote] People who track you, stalk, examine every date etc have nothing to say and have no lives of their own.

I call them Inspector Javert.

by Anonymousreply 30March 7, 2022 11:11 PM

Pop over here, OP:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31March 7, 2022 11:35 PM

[quote]As most of us know, FW takes long breaks from recording and touring. I asked him if she was w/FW went he did the pool work.

Who or what is FW?

Fleetwood Whack?

by Anonymousreply 32March 7, 2022 11:47 PM

R25 Julia Robert’s was in The Normal Heart and I don’t recall anyone complaining that she was a homophobe or a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 33March 8, 2022 12:00 AM

r33 : Just a terrible actress, that's all.

by Anonymousreply 34March 8, 2022 12:01 AM

I guess R33 didn't see The Mexican where she forced a gay man to come out and then belittled him with her inane "full throttle" comment.

by Anonymousreply 35March 8, 2022 12:37 AM

R35 The Mexican was a “movie”, not real life.

by Anonymousreply 36March 8, 2022 12:50 AM

In 1970, my mother took me to see the 5th Dimension, my favorite group at the time. At one point in the show, the group came down into the audience, and Marilyn McCoo shook my hand. That was my one celebrity encounter, and I was thrilled.

I used to see Robert Reed and Paul McCrane (separately) in leather jackets on the streets of New York in the early '80s, but I never actually encountered them, so I guess that doesn't count.

by Anonymousreply 37March 8, 2022 1:06 AM

I saw Hugh Jackman and his frau in a Sydney shopping street. Just 6 feet way from me.

I was discreet while he spent a few minutes affably signing his signature for other shoppers.

by Anonymousreply 38March 8, 2022 1:17 AM

An odd one that sticks out for me is when someone on here wrote (in all seriousness) that back in the Mid 80s they saw (recently deceased) actress Arlene Dahl in passing on the streets of NYC. Although total strangers, this person claimed that the two of them struck up a conversation in which Arlene eventually suggested they continue at a local bar over drinks. After the drinks, Arlene supposedly invited the DLer to her nearby apartment for a late afternoon fuck. The DLer (SUPPOSEDLY) obliged.

Arlene just seemed like such a proper lady on the surface. I can't imagine her just picking up random people on the streets of NYC to fuck her. And besides that, Ms. Dahl would have been in her late 50s or early 60s in the mid 80s!

With that said, who the hell makes up sex tales about an elderly Arlene Dahl of all people!? Strange all the way around and I've never forgotten it.

by Anonymousreply 39March 8, 2022 1:23 AM

An odd one that sticks out for me is when someone on here wrote they visited Paris for the first time in their life. They were innocently eating a croissant at one of those boulevard cafes on the Avenue des Champs-Élysées.. He happened to look up and who could he see?

Leslie Caron!

by Anonymousreply 40March 8, 2022 1:30 AM

Ricardo Montalbán and his gimpy leg.

by Anonymousreply 41March 8, 2022 1:40 AM

Saw caroline jennedy in the late 70's or early eightoes at crown center in kc at a open concert.everyone was standing . Sooo i finally realized it was her when tbese guys in nice duds were movind about the crowd all around her at the same time. . Really strange, she looked at me and i pretended like i didnt know who she was. But my my the security about her really exposed themselves.

by Anonymousreply 42March 8, 2022 1:43 AM

David Muir - weird skin and huge hair on a very short, slightly chunky body.

by Anonymousreply 43March 8, 2022 1:56 AM

Someone saw Julia in Philadelphia in 1849 and could have sworn it was Harriet Tubman

by Anonymousreply 44March 14, 2022 6:53 PM

I live in LA where just about everyone exaggerates their accomplishments.

Classic example is this guy I know who's a travel agent and an Uber driver. He has been claiming HBO is interested in his "script ideas" for years. He refers to stars by their first name, especially if they're Black (he's White) as if he knew them intimately and calls everyone his friend, even if he met them for five minutes at a restaurant.

He is to me the epitome of a pathetic character desperately looking for some form of relevance, because he knows he has none.

by Anonymousreply 45March 14, 2022 7:15 PM

[quote]An odd one that sticks out for me is when someone on here wrote they visited Paris for the first time in their life. They were innocently eating a croissant at one of those boulevard cafes on the Avenue des Champs-Élysées.. He happened to look up and who could he see? Leslie Caron!

The absolute cherry on this is that Caron pretty much despises her home country and took up residency in London.

by Anonymousreply 46March 14, 2022 7:34 PM

Won’t SOMEONE think of Falco?!

by Anonymousreply 47March 14, 2022 7:35 PM

Is Caroline Jennedy a member of Fleetwood Whack?

by Anonymousreply 48March 14, 2022 8:05 PM

R5 is Dementia Donald

by Anonymousreply 49March 14, 2022 8:09 PM

Who has met Senator Chris Murphy?

Tell me everything!!!!

by Anonymousreply 50March 14, 2022 8:15 PM

OP, are you the twat who ran off Susie Lee?

by Anonymousreply 51March 14, 2022 9:11 PM

[Quote]The absolute cherry on this is that Caron pretty much despises her home country and took up residency in London.

Liar. She moved to London because she's old and she wants to be near her Brit children.

by Anonymousreply 52March 14, 2022 9:18 PM

When I was about 5, a friend of my parents said that when he and his wife were in Germany they passed Robert Goulet on the street. He said, "Hi Bob" and he said 'hi' back.

by Anonymousreply 53March 14, 2022 10:04 PM

Hjkk

by Anonymousreply 54March 15, 2022 1:48 AM

[quote]An odd one that sticks out for me is when someone on here wrote they visited Paris for the first time in their life. They were innocently eating a croissant at one of those boulevard cafes on the Avenue des Champs-Élysées.. He happened to look up and who could he see? Leslie Caron!

And then a juggling mime rode past on a unicycle, wearing a Breton stripe shirt and carrying a baguette!

Zut alors!

by Anonymousreply 55March 15, 2022 2:53 AM

[quote] “The thing about the war is people turned really nasty. Everyone talks about the solidarity of the war, and it may have happened in England, but not in France. We were ashamed to have given up and to have the German enemy right there. So there was shame and animosity. You couldn’t ask somebody in the street where anywhere was – they would insult you. Even to this day, I cannot ask people for help. I expect to be turned down.” She became anxious and anorexic.

And that was just the early years. She ended up in London to be near her kids because she almost drank and drugged herself to death in France.

To be fair, she also hated Hollywood. She’s a very sensitive introvert and to each her own. I’d love to live in France, but I’m a not-so-sensitive introvert.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56March 15, 2022 7:29 PM

Like France made her an alcoholic. Her mother was an alcoholic as well. It's a genetic disease.

The UK wasn't occupied by the Third Reich so the comparisons are ridiculous.

The point is she doesn't loathe France but it sounds as if you might.

by Anonymousreply 57March 15, 2022 10:49 PM

I think a lot of the Helen Lawson stuff is made up.

by Anonymousreply 58March 15, 2022 11:23 PM

R57 is mad because I had receipts.

I love France. I’m going to retire there, wish I was there now. Take up your problems with Mme Caron.

by Anonymousreply 59March 16, 2022 12:11 AM

Stopped posting my celebrity encounters since fraus in flyover states inevitable are triggered and screech fraud. Last time I posted an encounter I had with Gyllenhaal I was accused of being the anti- Christ. If they didn't read it in People it didn't happen. Main reason DL gets no authentic celebrity dish anymore. Who knew.

by Anonymousreply 60March 16, 2022 12:28 AM

The dude on the Warhol thread who talks to Brigid Berlin every day still to this day. Even though she's been dead for almost 2 years!

by Anonymousreply 61March 16, 2022 1:43 AM

My Astrologist still relays messages to me from Nancy Reagan!

by Anonymousreply 62March 16, 2022 3:34 PM

R59 you have no receipts, only your fantastical take on the written word. And European history.

by Anonymousreply 63March 16, 2022 3:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!