Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Oscar Isaac will never be a movie star

Hollywood needs to stop trying to make him happen.

by Anonymousreply 65July 20, 2022 1:16 AM

He is happening. He's a talented actor with diverse credits and is playing Francis Ford Coppola in Francis and The Godfather and he's in the 2022 Spider man movie.

by Anonymousreply 1January 27, 2022 2:05 AM

R1 He’s been “happening” since 2014.

by Anonymousreply 2January 27, 2022 2:19 AM

Oscar Isaac is hot AF and is a great actor.

by Anonymousreply 3January 27, 2022 2:29 AM

He’s never going to be a big star. Too short, too old. Fine actor but never will be a top tier star

by Anonymousreply 4January 27, 2022 2:32 AM

"Too short, too old."

Fuck you, too, R4!

by Anonymousreply 5January 27, 2022 3:32 AM

He was a star in the recent Star Wars trilogy. To me anyway

by Anonymousreply 6January 27, 2022 5:09 AM

His nude torture scene in Dune was erotic

by Anonymousreply 7January 27, 2022 5:23 AM

Keep getting him mixed up with Mark Ruffalo

by Anonymousreply 8January 27, 2022 5:32 AM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 9January 27, 2022 5:43 AM

People who will never be stars no matter how much they work:

Toby Maguire: except for when he was Spider-Man, no one cared about him; it's amazing he got so many roles. His career is as inexplicable as Penelope Ann Miller's during the early 90s. Also, he has squirrelly little manboy syndrome (SLMS) i.e. will never look like a grown man until he's in his 60s and then it's too late, like Mickey Rooney.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Giovanni Ribisi, Ben Foster: All SLMS sufferers.

Tom Holland, Daniel Radcliffe: no, not quite SLMS. Why? Because they have the added advantage of being cute and adorable. Both could probably become stars in light comedies. Radcliffe is already primed for his own sitcom; it's bound to happen.

Jeremy Renner: decent actor, not nearly handsome enough or interesting enough to be a star; should NEVER be cast as a leading man. Needs loads more charisma before he can hold the screen on his own.

Joel Edgerton: see Jeremy Renner.

Sam Worthington: utterly forgettable, always get him confused with Jai Courtney

Jai Courtney: utterly forgettable, always get him confused with Sam Worthington

by Anonymousreply 10January 27, 2022 7:21 AM

He's starred in more movies than you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 11January 27, 2022 8:56 AM

R10 did all that typing pay off for you in anyway? Not for me. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 12January 27, 2022 8:59 AM

[quote]He is happening. He's a talented actor with diverse credits and is playing Francis Ford Coppola in Francis and The Godfather and he's in the 2022 Spider man movie.

You're right he's a talented actor but he not a movie star. You can be one or the other and rarely is there someone who is both. Paul Newman comes to mind, A terrific actor with 10 Oscar nominations with a win and an Honorary, and a true movie star.

by Anonymousreply 13January 27, 2022 9:17 AM

Oh no, don't bash poor Joseph Gordon-Levitt; I think he's lovely!

by Anonymousreply 14January 27, 2022 9:21 AM

He already is, you half-wit

by Anonymousreply 15January 27, 2022 9:30 AM

Oscar Issac can get it. He was quite sexy in Star Wars despite not playing a sexy role.

by Anonymousreply 16January 27, 2022 10:29 AM

My only problem with Oscar Isaac is that he is not on and in me this instant.

by Anonymousreply 17January 27, 2022 10:39 AM

Thank you, OP! He's an ok actor, but it's crazy how there's been a 10-year effort to shoehorn him into every franchise and prestige project.

by Anonymousreply 18January 27, 2022 10:55 AM

Did he turn you down or beat you out for the Moon Knight role OP? You sound like a Bitter Betty, sis. Oscar is talented and sexy. He's done and will do, just fine.

by Anonymousreply 19January 27, 2022 11:10 AM

I love his dance in his onesie in Deus Ex Machina

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 27, 2022 11:48 AM

As much as I look forward to the day Oscar Isaac, Pedro Pascal, and Riz Ahmed aren't shoved down our throats, I fear who might replace them.

by Anonymousreply 21January 27, 2022 12:25 PM

Look up Oscar Isaac's filmography. Fact: He has appeared in hit films, but always in a supporting role. As his latest starring role in The Card Counter highlights, he can't carry a film to save his life.

His best regarded starring turn was in Inside Llewyn Davis nearly 10 years ago, and he was upstaged by a cat.

by Anonymousreply 22January 27, 2022 2:18 PM

R20 in ex machina he looked like a muslim

by Anonymousreply 23January 27, 2022 2:24 PM

I view him more as a character actor than a leading man. I've never seen him give a great performance. And his dead eyes bother me.

by Anonymousreply 24January 27, 2022 2:28 PM

He should have played Desi Arnaz in BEING THE RICARDOS. He would have been perfect opposite Nicole as he's younger than her and on the short side. I wonder if he was offered it and turned it down?

by Anonymousreply 25January 27, 2022 2:29 PM

R25, you're right, but he strikes me as one of those self-loathing types who actively avoids taking parts where his character is explicitly Hispanic or Latino (despite being of Guatemalan descent).

by Anonymousreply 26January 27, 2022 2:32 PM

I can't speak for the fate of his career, but I've got to disagree with you about the physical appeal of Tobey Maguire. He has grown into those sexy fucking eyes. Unlike Leo, whose looks declined from the late 90s/early 00's man child (even as his career took off).

Mark Ruffalo is hotter than Oscar Isaac, and is a bigger star, but gets less interesting roles.

Isaac needs to find a director who will write and cast him for specific ensemble roles. He'd be a good Woody Allen actor, if Allen weren't old toast. Like Leo and Scorsese.

by Anonymousreply 27January 27, 2022 2:34 PM

[quote] I love his dance in his onesie in Deus Ex Machina

Whut da fuk did I just watch?

by Anonymousreply 28January 27, 2022 2:35 PM

A big part of this (sole opinion) is that many of the under-40 actors have no interest in being “movie stars” because it’s become too easily confused with being a celebrity. Any of the names above would be horrified by being plopped down on the same plane as Kardashians or Big Brother contestants.

Also, look at the self-consciously meaningful films being made. Many actors seek to make the big bucks, of course, but there hasn’t been so much talk about art since the 1970s. And what a dreary bunch many of them turned out to be. Once they won their Oscars and made their pile, that is.

by Anonymousreply 29January 27, 2022 2:35 PM

I think he's a good actor, he doesn't repulse me like that bug eyed actor or that really ugly one called adam something..

I like his voice.

I will watch his shows.

by Anonymousreply 30January 27, 2022 2:39 PM

LMAO, R30--Adam Driver.

Coincidentally, they're both Julliard grads, which is why opportunities are thrown their way.

by Anonymousreply 31January 27, 2022 2:42 PM

Well if he looks like Muslim, why are we even talking about him! Quelle horreur!

by Anonymousreply 32January 27, 2022 2:45 PM

I have always found little people to be untrustworthy.

by Anonymousreply 33January 27, 2022 2:47 PM

R32 he needs hijab

by Anonymousreply 34January 27, 2022 2:48 PM

Mark Ruffalo has always struck me as an actor who simply chooses interesting roles that challenge him. He's not interested in being a star, just a working actor.

by Anonymousreply 35January 27, 2022 2:54 PM

I can never accept Leo in an adult role...he always looks lie a boy dressing up like a man in films like "The Great Gatsby" and " Revolutionary Road." May finally be changing in "Don't Look UP."

by Anonymousreply 36January 27, 2022 2:55 PM

At best he's a poor man's Antonio Banderas.

by Anonymousreply 37January 27, 2022 3:09 PM

Mark Ruffalo was an actor of some repute before Hulk, which ruined him for me. I didn't even bother seeing him in the try-hard-seeming "Infinitely Polar Bear."

by Anonymousreply 38January 27, 2022 3:18 PM

Let's not forget, Oscar has displayed his foreskin:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 27, 2022 3:22 PM

Just a reminder that Paul Newman did not start off being some great actor. He was a looker and that's how he mostly got jobs in the beginning. That's what he was known for. He developed into a good actor.

by Anonymousreply 40January 27, 2022 3:31 PM

[quote]Mark Ruffalo is hotter than Oscar Isaac

Not on any planet in any universe.

by Anonymousreply 41January 27, 2022 3:35 PM

I think he's a good actor, he's clearly chosen a mix of commercial/artistic roles and he's someone that critics seem to love, even in the boring dreck with Jessica Chastain, yet Adam Driver seems to have all the buzz. Not really sure why

by Anonymousreply 42January 27, 2022 3:36 PM

I hated Scenes from a Marriage and gave up after a couple of episodes. Oscars and Jessica’s characters were a pair of loathsome twats who deserved each other.

by Anonymousreply 43January 27, 2022 5:08 PM

R21 I like Riz Ahmed. He was great in Sound of Metal.

by Anonymousreply 44January 27, 2022 5:16 PM

I'd call Oscar Isaac a movie star. What else would you call him?

Do you mean he's not some pretty boy matinee idol? WT wants to be that in the end?

by Anonymousreply 45January 27, 2022 7:12 PM

OP = Mr. Karp

by Anonymousreply 46January 28, 2022 4:22 AM

Yes, R12, it did pay off for me because it quickly identified the sniveling, butthurt, easily triggered losers who are on this message board. That would be you, moron.

by Anonymousreply 47January 31, 2022 4:09 AM

R12, Yes it did pay off for me because it quickly identified one of those pathetic, butthurt, easily triggered losers that pop up on these message boards from time to time. That would be you, moron. What's the matter, you little bitch? Which of the actors I named do you have a pitiful, unrequited crush on?

by Anonymousreply 48January 31, 2022 4:26 AM

Name a movie star in this era? Who is able to open a movie that isn't related to a popular series of films from Marvel to DC?

by Anonymousreply 49January 31, 2022 4:27 AM

He's already a movie star you daft bitch.

by Anonymousreply 50January 31, 2022 5:12 AM

I first saw him in Some Kind of Hero, and really liked his performance. Since then, it has been diminishing returns. He is certainly not a movie star, and makes some real shit. And Scenes From A marriage...jesus.

by Anonymousreply 51January 31, 2022 8:37 AM

I thought he was the best part of Dune; even without reading the book & knowing the whole backstory, you can tell that Duke Leto knows he's fucked by Isaac's hangdog expression and he brings real gravitas during his fairly brief time on screen. He also had good chemistry with Timmy and seemed like he could be his father. So I think he's a good actor, but maybe has bad taste in projects

by Anonymousreply 52April 17, 2022 11:23 PM

He’s a great actor. I really liked him in Inside Llewyn Davis and Ex Machina. I just wish he starred in projects that interested me. His career is a bit of a mess right now. Feels like Adam Driver stole his career.

by Anonymousreply 53June 20, 2022 8:24 AM

Another one that is ashamed of having a low class sounding hispanic surname.

by Anonymousreply 54June 20, 2022 8:32 AM

You mean leading man, OP. There’s no such thing as a movie star anymore since actors now do tv and film back to back.

by Anonymousreply 55June 20, 2022 8:48 AM

Oscar is low-class? Huh?

by Anonymousreply 56June 20, 2022 8:49 AM

R54 He's Guatemalan, but yes he's another bruno mars. Changed his last name cause they're self loathing latinos. Just look at his white, basic wife he Married.

by Anonymousreply 57June 20, 2022 8:50 AM

[quote]I'd call Oscar Isaac a movie star. What else would you call him?

A thespian.

by Anonymousreply 58June 20, 2022 8:52 AM

R57 His basic fat wife and their crotch fruit took the last name “Isaac” which is his middle name .

by Anonymousreply 59June 20, 2022 8:57 AM

OP is Armie Hammer

by Anonymousreply 60June 20, 2022 8:59 AM

His wife is tall , blond and beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 61June 20, 2022 9:17 AM

R61 HI oscar

by Anonymousreply 62June 22, 2022 10:25 AM

His full name is Óscar Isaac Hernández Estrada

by Anonymousreply 63June 22, 2022 11:43 AM

[QUOTE]His basic fat wife and their crotch fruit took the last name “Isaac” which is his middle name .

Wow that’s a new level of pathetic. He’s basically trying to wash away his Latino heritage.

by Anonymousreply 64June 22, 2022 11:46 AM

R64 That person is making shit up. His wife didn’t take any name and just kept her maiden name, his kids have the last name Hernandez, and he uses the name Hernández outside of acting.

by Anonymousreply 65July 20, 2022 1:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!