Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Content-wise, which streamer is killing it...

In your opinion. I've stumbled across some great foreign content on HBOMax, Amazon Prime and Netflix. Which platform is your favorite?

by Anonymousreply 43January 18, 2022 7:55 AM

This thread didn't quite do it for you, M.F.?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 17, 2022 3:25 AM

Hulu is arguably the only one on here who isn't guilty of the following:

1) Wasting money and talent on throwing fifty shows at the wall to see what sticks (Netflix)

2) Picking a few micro-demographics and doubling down until they reach the center of the Earth (Amazon Prime)

3) Milking the PISS out of someone else's intellectual property that they bought very recently (Disney+)

Hulu's shows aren't all hits, but they're the only ones who act like they're actually trying to turn good ideas into good shows. They're showing some love for the PROCESS of show-making. These other streamers are just in it to churn and burn. Hulu's love for the process can also be seen in their executives' willingness to make space on the platform for classic old shows that can be leased for cheap and introduced to the next generation of TV viewers. Netflix is a cash machine that happens to produce content. These other streamers are just a streaming division of a broader media Daddy. Hulu is run by people who love the medium, and it shows.

by Anonymousreply 2January 17, 2022 3:29 AM

[quote]Hulu's love for the process can also be seen in their executives' willingness to make space on the platform for classic old shows

I wish they'd make space for Homicide: Life on the Street, and The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd.

by Anonymousreply 3January 17, 2022 3:34 AM

[quote]2) Picking a few micro-demographics and doubling down until they reach the center of the Earth (Amazon Prime)

The strength of Amazon Prime, it seems to me, is that it fulfills the old neighborhood video store niche. '70s drive-in cheese. 80s action thrillers. '90s suspense. Plus a lot of TV movies (including both Betty Broderick Stories!). And their algorithm — if you liked that, you'll like this — is quite good.

by Anonymousreply 4January 17, 2022 3:36 AM

I got Showtime for free for 1 week and watched Dexter: New Blood and a documentary on William Feiedkin, and then canceled it. Nothing else on there seemed good.

I have HBO Max and Netflix but question why I need both. Probably FOMO.

Amazon Prime is weak.

by Anonymousreply 5January 17, 2022 3:39 AM

R4 But the problem people have is that even if you have Amazon Prime, they still entice you to rent movies/shows that aren't included in your Prime membership. It's totally legal to do it that way, but it's jarring for people who thought they already HAD a subscription. Netflix and Hulu don't jam people up with a secondary paywall after you've already logged in.

by Anonymousreply 6January 17, 2022 4:03 AM

[quote] The strength of Amazon Prime, it seems to me, is that it fulfills the old neighborhood video store niche. '70s drive-in cheese. 80s action thrillers. '90s suspense. Plus a lot of TV movies (including both Betty Broderick Stories!). And their algorithm — if you liked that, you'll like this — is quite good.

I also like the inclusion of decent TV movies on Prime.

by Anonymousreply 7January 17, 2022 4:42 AM

R7 It's the only place you can view "Friendly Fire," where Carol Burnett tries and fails to make America care about the families of dead Vietnam War soldiers. I co-starred as the surviving son she neglected after the elder boy got shipped home in a box.

by Anonymousreply 8January 17, 2022 4:45 AM

Timothy, do you never tire of portraying the neglected son of America’s Sweethearts?

by Anonymousreply 9January 17, 2022 4:48 AM

r9 America's [italic]Saturday Night[/italic] Sweethearts at that, Beth.

by Anonymousreply 10January 17, 2022 3:12 PM

I just canceled Amazon Prime, I rarely watch movies on Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 11January 17, 2022 3:23 PM

I don't think any of them. Too widely spread, so like others, I am doing that sign up, binge, and ditch. I wish they'd consolidate their catalogues on an iTunes type model, where you buy what you want to watch for a decent price and the money goes to the rights holder. If I recall - and I just glanced - AppleTV wanted slightly north of $20 to rent Belfast. Not likely, Tim.

I slightly like Netflix best of all because it gets a lot of foreign, subtitled crime that I enjoy. Other than that, a bit here, a bit there, I just keep signing up and cancelling.

by Anonymousreply 12January 17, 2022 3:28 PM

I'm about to end my long, paid relationship with Netflix. I like Ozark and some other random things but I find myself searching endlessly for something good to watch. I find Paramount+ commercial free to be one of my favorites (next to Hulu). I never watched Ink Master but found myself binging that shit for a while. I also like the full catalog of Criminal Minds episodes and other dumb crime procedurals. I love those shows at night to wind down. They also have Survivor Australia/New Zealand/South Africa if you're into that (albeit a few, random seasons).

by Anonymousreply 13January 17, 2022 3:44 PM

Criterion. Couldn’t live without it.

by Anonymousreply 14January 17, 2022 3:50 PM

HBO Max is the only one of these that constantly delivers good original content. Apple had the potential to do this but has been disappointing. Netflix has poor quality control.

by Anonymousreply 15January 17, 2022 3:55 PM

HboMax, and it isn't even close.

Netflix is an incomprehensible mess at this point (really playing out Baumann's theory of the paradox of choice), Amazon is almost impossible to navigate (how can they fuck up the UI SO badly? Although for foreign movies, if you dig hard, they have a stunning array), and Disney microfocuses too much.

I probably use Hulu the most to catch up with network shows, but HBOMax/HBO consistently puts out the best quality, by a wide margin.

by Anonymousreply 16January 17, 2022 4:10 PM

Oh, and Apple+ shows all have the same feel. Engineered to be well liked, but not loved. They have absolutely no bite.

by Anonymousreply 17January 17, 2022 4:11 PM

The Apple shows seem like great ideas with poor execution.

by Anonymousreply 18January 17, 2022 4:12 PM

HBO Max is the only one worth keeping if forced to choose only one. In addition to first rate HBO (Max) series content, the movie selection is decent and there's a sampling of TCM titles available as well. Prime Video just feels like a really nice Amazon Prime add-on or perk, but not essential as a standalone streamer. Netflix is overrated.

by Anonymousreply 19January 17, 2022 4:30 PM

What is the difference of HBO and HBOMax? Why would they not just put HBOMax content on HBO? Also, is anyone having problems getting in to my HBOMAX? Finally after 2 separate phone calls with the cable company (which lasted a total of 3 hours, finally getting into HBOMAX.

by Anonymousreply 20January 17, 2022 4:41 PM

Disney has owned Marvel since 2009 and Star Wars since 2012. Almost all the MCU content has been made since Disney owned Marvel.

by Anonymousreply 21January 17, 2022 4:47 PM

HBOMax, no contest. They have the best movie and TV library, plus so many movies are available when they're released in the theater.

Disney+ is good if you're feeling nostalgic or want to join water cooler discussions about Marvel/Star Wars, but it would probably be #1 for any parent.

by Anonymousreply 22January 17, 2022 4:54 PM

r20, if you get cable with HBO included, then you should have access to HBO Max through a streaming device (Roku, Fire Stick, etc.) or streaming capable "smart" TV. HBO Max gives you regular HBO content and movies, but it doesn't seem to work the other way around. It appears that there is HBO Max content not available with a regular HBO cable subscription (but as mentioned, if you have HBO though your cable, then you automatically have access to HBO Max streaming at no additional charge as long as you can access streaming content). It seems like HBO is really trying to push people onto their streaming platform (Max) so that if you do ever decide to cut cable, you are likely to still want to pay for a monthly HBO Max subscription. Their calculus is probably right as it's totally worth the money!

by Anonymousreply 23January 17, 2022 4:58 PM

I have cable in my city apt and streaming at my country house - and I find myself looking forward to cable. Maybe it’s the diversity and options but I find scrolling hundreds of channels more enjoyable than trying to pick a show via streaming, I’m tempted to just cancel Hulu and Netflix and get cable.

by Anonymousreply 24January 17, 2022 5:07 PM

The best streaming services (I have them all) are:

HBOmax (and I agree that it isn’t even close)

Paramount+

Peacock

In that order.

Seriously. Paramount+ and Peacock are both superior to Netflix, Hulu, and Prime.

I don’t even know what the fuck Apple TV+ is trying to accomplish. Like, are they trying to sell me something? Or do I already subscribe to whatever it is that I need? Is it a streaming hub to all my services? What? Does it even know?

I agree that Prime is literally the new Blockbuster, right down to the blue and yellow experience.

by Anonymousreply 25January 17, 2022 5:07 PM

[quote] Hulu is run by people who love the medium, and it shows.

Gurl, Hulu is run by Disney as a place to stash all their off brand content. The good shit goes to Disney+

by Anonymousreply 26January 17, 2022 5:14 PM

I can't get into your HBOMax at all, r20. You should probably post your password so we can try.

In all seriousness, clear your computer cache.

by Anonymousreply 27January 17, 2022 5:32 PM

Apple applies the same theory to their programming that they do to their products: shiny, easy to digest, but ultimately unchallenging and not at all satisfying. Why that works for a phone, not so much for a tv show.

by Anonymousreply 28January 17, 2022 5:37 PM

Apple applies the same theory to their programming that they do to their products: they're shiny, easy to digest, with all the rough edges filed down. While that produces great consumer electronics, it makes for an unsatisfying viewing experience. I really don't think all of the streamers are going to survive, and I would guess that Apple will be one of the first to fold.

by Anonymousreply 29January 17, 2022 5:49 PM

Criterion Channel and Kino Now.

by Anonymousreply 30January 17, 2022 5:49 PM

Sorry for the double post!

by Anonymousreply 31January 17, 2022 5:49 PM

R27) Smart TV, had to clear cookies. They had HBOGO, I guess for streaming options. Just seems like what is on HBOMAX should also be on regular HBO.

by Anonymousreply 32January 17, 2022 6:51 PM

I think the two will eventually become seamless. Splitting them into two services was a weird choice by HBO.

by Anonymousreply 33January 17, 2022 7:58 PM

Which one aired "White Lotus," the series with bad butt-eating?

by Anonymousreply 34January 17, 2022 10:51 PM

As a huge horror fan, I really enjoy Shudder. They just released a great folk horror documentary and quite a few films from around the world.

by Anonymousreply 35January 18, 2022 12:25 AM

Criterion has awesome content but maybe it’s just me. Sometimes when I put on a movie, I want something light. I have a great queue with a lot of movies I’m meaning to watch, I pay money every month…but I find it less accessible when I just want to put something on.

by Anonymousreply 36January 18, 2022 1:01 AM

[quote] As a huge horror fan, I really enjoy Shudder. They just released a great folk horror documentary and quite a few films from around the world.

Yeah, I enjoyed the documentaries they have made over the past few years.

by Anonymousreply 37January 18, 2022 2:08 AM

I got a six month deal for HBO Max to watch Succession, Curb, and I'll watch Gomorrah Season 5 when it comes out this month. But then I will cancel when my deal runs out. I canceled Netflix after I watched Cobra Kai. HBO Max is convenient and worth $6/month or whatever I'm paying. But I can just as easily torrent the things I want to watch.

by Anonymousreply 38January 18, 2022 2:12 AM

HBO Max is the best.

Netflix has turned into a content Dumpster.

Amazon Prime has such a horrible UI, it's almost unusable. Some of the content is good, though.

Apple feels like a rudderless ship; of all the streaming services, it seems most likely to merge with another one or shut down entirely.

by Anonymousreply 39January 18, 2022 5:53 AM

OP could have made a decent poll/thread but failed due to laziness or stupidity by not including Hulu, one of the top tier streamers. The amount of people mentioning it on this thread validates this epic omission and ruins the integrity of the poll. Paramount+ and Peacock also should be on the list. There was room.

by Anonymousreply 40January 18, 2022 6:15 AM

[quote] But the problem people have is that even if you have Amazon Prime, they still entice you to rent movies/shows that aren't included in your Prime membership. It's totally legal to do it that way, but it's jarring for people who thought they already HAD a subscription.

It’s only jarring for the retarded or old. Do people think they have access to all the movies on Apple TV once they subscribe to Apple+?

by Anonymousreply 41January 18, 2022 7:42 AM

R38, you would go through the trouble of finding and downloading a torrent, to say nothing of the exploits and viruses that come along with file sharing, just to save $6 a month?

Seems a bit silly.

I used to pirate all of my music until Apple and the iTunes music store made it so that paying for music was easier than pirating it. You haven’t reached that point yet?

by Anonymousreply 42January 18, 2022 7:50 AM

r42 downloading? you can stream with safety and blocks in place thorugh checked sites. there's more than a few apps that attempt that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 18, 2022 7:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!