Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Shingles

I’m in day 2 of my first outbreak. Lord help me this is painful. They put me on gabapentin - I can only take it at night. It puts me to sleep. Sadly I’m in my 40s so I’m not sure I qualify or should get vaccinated for it. My stress level is through the roof so I’m guessing that’s what brought all this on. Any advice on dealing with the pain?

by Anonymousreply 196June 8, 2022 2:08 PM

Sorry to hear it. Not all insurances cover the newish 2-shot shingles vax; I paid cash @165.

by Anonymousreply 1January 12, 2022 7:05 PM

I'm sorry OP. That's really painful.

by Anonymousreply 2January 12, 2022 7:09 PM

Gabapentin? Aw hell no! I'd be [italic] demanding[/italic] Roxicet 10mg. I'm serious. You need to tell your MD that the gabapentin isn't adequately controlling your pain and you need something stronger. When my brother had shingles they were giving him morphine, for gods sake. I get that Gabapentin is made for nerve pain but still. It wouldn't even take the edge off of something as painful as a shingles outbreak.

by Anonymousreply 3January 12, 2022 7:14 PM

Got my vax for shingles after seeing the thread here with a very graphic pix of an outbreak on a guy’s chest. 2 shots cost $480 total. Insurance didn’t cover.

So sorry to hear of your outbreak. My best for a speedy recovery.

by Anonymousreply 4January 12, 2022 7:18 PM

You can take it in the day , my dr said u can take up to 1800 mg a day, at first it will make you really sleepy just drink a coffee after taking and after a few days it wont make you sleepy anymore.hope it goes away quickly.!

by Anonymousreply 5January 12, 2022 7:24 PM

r3 yeah, on it's own, it's more for reducing the unsettling symptoms of nerve damage than addressing immediate pain and even then, most won't start at an adequate dosage. So, for many, gabapentin is better when used in combination with other medications . . those sensitive to it finds it has an enhancing effect on painkillers, in particular, marijuana and it's related byproducts. microdosing 420 edibles on its own can be helpful for some as that is easier to microdose and obtain than restricted medications.

by Anonymousreply 6January 12, 2022 7:30 PM

My insurance paid for the vaccine soI guess I should stop bitching about it.

by Anonymousreply 7January 12, 2022 7:34 PM

I think you need a doctor's prescription for this vaccine. Anyone know if this is the case?

by Anonymousreply 8January 12, 2022 7:35 PM

My younger brother had it on his forearm and gave when he was 9 (!) years old and I remember he was in so much pain he would scream at us for talking too loud which caused him pain even though we were speaking in normal volumes.

I hope you feel better OP!

by Anonymousreply 9January 12, 2022 7:37 PM

I think you can get it at the pharmacy nowadays without a prescription, at least in some states, and I don’t think your age matters anymore.

I also had shingles several years ago during a stressful period when I was in my 40s, and actually lied about my age/paid cash just to get the vaccine because I never, EVER want to get shingles again. Worst physical discomfort I have ever experienced.

by Anonymousreply 10January 12, 2022 8:11 PM

When I got shingles, I already had gabapentin and was prescribed tramadol. The combo kinda worked well. It wasn’t no crystal stair, but dammit I’m alive!! I wasn’t sure I would live through the pain. Seriously contemplated jumping out the window many of those nights.

by Anonymousreply 11January 12, 2022 8:16 PM

I believe you can still get shingles with the vaccine, but it will lessen the severity.

by Anonymousreply 12January 12, 2022 8:21 PM

What the hell kind of insurance policies do people have that won't cover the Shingles vaccine? Is it that you're too young? Will it cover it when you are over the age it is recommended for?

by Anonymousreply 13January 12, 2022 8:22 PM

I got the shingles vax. Yes, because the thread that was on here in the past scared me! Glad I got it though. I will say the shots ( there are two) made me really sick the night I got them. But again, glad for the vax.

by Anonymousreply 14January 12, 2022 8:29 PM

Take lysine + drop caffeine and eat extremely well. My partner just got over a case and he was in agony. He actually cried as the pain was so bad. The nerve pill didn't help him much but taking Tylenol + ibuprofen did. He got over it fairly quickly due to a huge diet switch + lysine. He will be taking the shingles vaccine + working on reducing job related/aging parent related stress.

Take care OP. The vaccine should be free. It is here in Canada.

by Anonymousreply 15January 12, 2022 8:32 PM

A few years ago I had shingles. Believe me, you don't want to get them. The pain/itch was almost unbearable, and I still have significant scarring on my left shoulder. I couldn't eat and couldn't sleep. I lay on the bed all day watching reruns of old crime dramas like Cold Case, just letting the words and images wash over me. If it hadn't been for my partner, I probably would have starved to death and been eaten by my cats.

He'd herd me into the shower when he got home from work, and prepared meals for me, and in general fussed over me. I'm sure I looked like a hollow-eyed zombie, but I didn't care. Get the vaccine. It might save you a lot of blood, sweat and tears.

by Anonymousreply 16January 12, 2022 8:41 PM

A little over a decade ago, I got a "moderate" outbreak according to my physician. It occurred on my left side. I was prescribed Triamcinolone Acetonide cream to treat the sores. Soon afters, I took the single dose Shingles vaccine available at the time. A few years later, I had a mild outbreak on my stomach, consisting of four or five sores. Even a mild outbreak is painful for days. I recommend the vaccine to anyone near age 50 or over and had the chicken pox when younger. Of course talk to your physician first if one is unsure about the effects. Hope you quickly feel better, OP.

by Anonymousreply 17January 12, 2022 8:44 PM

[quote]after taking and after a few days it won't make you sleepy anymore.

Not true. I take 600mg a night to help me sleep.

by Anonymousreply 18January 12, 2022 8:51 PM

My sister had a mild case of shingles and was in a lot of pain. I got the Shingrix vaccine 2 years ago the 2 shots were expensive but worth it.

by Anonymousreply 19January 12, 2022 9:00 PM

Can someone describe the side effects from the vaccine?

by Anonymousreply 20January 12, 2022 9:02 PM

[quote] I believe you can still get shingles with the vaccine, but it will lessen the severity.

Where have I heard this before?

by Anonymousreply 21January 12, 2022 9:05 PM

Naive question: how do you get shingles?

by Anonymousreply 22January 12, 2022 9:08 PM

My sister takes 2700 mg of Gabapentin to control the pain from a spinal tumour. The problem is finding something that doesn’t make you drowsy. The other pain meds she was on sent her loopy. She also uses lidoderm patches.

by Anonymousreply 23January 12, 2022 9:09 PM

R22, my understanding is that once you have had chicken pox the residual virus remains and when someone stressed or run down can flair up and cause shingles

by Anonymousreply 24January 12, 2022 9:12 PM

[quote]Got my vax for shingles after seeing the thread here with a very graphic pix of an outbreak on a guy’s chest. 2 shots cost $480 total. Insurance didn’t cover.

he Affordable Care Act (ACA) requires all Health Insurance Marketplace plans and most other private health insurance plans to cover all ACIP-recommended vaccines, including SHINGRIX, with no cost sharing (deductibles, copayments or coinsurance) if administered in-network.

by Anonymousreply 25January 12, 2022 9:18 PM

[quote] What the hell kind of insurance policies do people have that won't cover the Shingles vaccine? Is it that you're too young? Will it cover it when you are over the age it is recommended for?

Shut up. Most insurance plans will not cover the shingles vaccines until a person is 50 years or older. Since OP has had shingles he may be able to get an override/exemption and be able to get the vaccines. Call you insurance company and ask them.

Yes, Obamacare covers the Shingles vaccines, but a person has to be 50 or older. That's what medical experts recommend. But I sure all of you know more than the medical experts.

by Anonymousreply 26January 12, 2022 9:22 PM

r13 Recommended age is the biggest barrier for most. It's not age specifically when you get into the nitty gritty, it's more about the likelihood of getting it. So, even if their insurance will pay for it, their primary might also be held to other standards. From the medical side, it's often a combination of budget restraints, risks and legal (potential lawsuits).

by Anonymousreply 27January 12, 2022 9:24 PM

[quote]Can someone describe the side effects from the vaccine?

Similar to the Covid vaccines. Pain at the site of injection, nausea, fatigue, muscle aches, chills

by Anonymousreply 28January 12, 2022 9:24 PM

Walmart, Sams Club and Costco offer inexpensive vaccines. It's like $200 for the Shingles vaccinations. You do NOT have to be a member of Sams Club or Costco to use their pharmacy, vision center or hearing aid center. Just go to the door and when they ask for your membership card, tell them you are going to the pharmacy

Call the pharmacy before you go to make sure they have the vaccines in stock. Shingles is a series of two shots (like Covid)

by Anonymousreply 29January 12, 2022 9:27 PM

OP, worst pain in my life. Stay on those pain meds; it was like a hot iron on my head 24/7; did not come off.

I finally got on the pain pills and lived to take on each night at 7 and would sleep till 7 am; was able to sleep through the but the pain would start again at 7 am as soon as I woke up; eventually, the pain didn't start till 8 then 9 then 10...and eventually I got better; worst 4 months of my life.

but I didn't get on pain pills right away; it's good that you are.

Just know that someday this will be over.

by Anonymousreply 30January 12, 2022 9:28 PM

Very few people get chicken pox these days, but many many people still get infected with HERPES.

So you get the idea where shingles come from. SLUT.

by Anonymousreply 31January 12, 2022 9:31 PM

Vitamin C and Citrus bioflavanoids helped me with shingles

by Anonymousreply 32January 12, 2022 9:33 PM

OP I had shingles and went to a dermatologist not knowing what it was. He injected me with a painkiller and gave me prescription for Valtrex. I had a mild case that didn't spread because I sought medical help immediately, but my shoulder and upper armed ached for days.

by Anonymousreply 33January 12, 2022 9:35 PM

Where's that thread that scared everyone straight?

I need to convince my needle-phobic (but vaxxed and boosted) dad that he must get this shot.

by Anonymousreply 34January 12, 2022 9:37 PM

[quote] Shut up. Most insurance plans will not cover the shingles vaccines until a person is 50 years or older.

Hey fuck off. That's exactly what I said.

Don't come here and strut your assholery.

by Anonymousreply 35January 12, 2022 9:44 PM

Every time I see this type thread, I think to myself, I have to get this vaccine. Dread the shot and side effects. I know, it’s better than getting shingles itself.

by Anonymousreply 36January 12, 2022 9:51 PM

I had a really bad outbreak at 40, took a lot of Codeine and Tramadol but nothing really helped.

I had the vaccine about six months later, but my doctor insists I take 1200mg of Aciclovir every day since to prevent a recurrence. Fourteen years and counting now.

by Anonymousreply 37January 12, 2022 9:58 PM

My 66-year-old dear friend insists his doctor says he doesn't need the vaccine and isn't recommending it. How is that even possible? I have given up encouraging him to get it. Naturally he thinks his doctor knows more than I do.

by Anonymousreply 38January 12, 2022 10:07 PM

I had shingles in my left ear, which was horrible, and then I had vertigo for about a year.

by Anonymousreply 39January 12, 2022 10:16 PM

[quote]1200mg of Aciclovir every day since to prevent a recurrence. Fourteen years and counting now.

Doesn't the drug fuck up your liver and kidneys?

by Anonymousreply 40January 12, 2022 10:25 PM

I only had some fatigue, r36. But that was the same with my Moderna shots.

by Anonymousreply 41January 12, 2022 10:29 PM

[quote] I think you need a doctor's prescription for this vaccine. Anyone know if this is the case?

No, it’s not the case. I went online to Rite Aid and made an appointment in my town. I’m getting the first shot next week. I’m over 65.

by Anonymousreply 42January 12, 2022 10:31 PM

I'm so glad I got my first shot two months ago. I go for the second in February. I asked the nurse that gave me the shot if I would feel any side effects. He said typically no. He was wrong. I felt like i had the flu for about 36 hours but not a big deal.

by Anonymousreply 43January 12, 2022 10:41 PM

r40 not the person in question, but as a know it all prick, when that's a risk then routine blood and other tests are done to keep levels in check. And/or particularly in the covid era, add medications to reduce associated risks.

by Anonymousreply 44January 12, 2022 11:27 PM

[quote] Where's that thread that scared everyone straight?

Is this it? I can’t see the photo with the original post, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 12, 2022 11:28 PM

My arm was so sore I couldn't sleep on it with the first shot. It lasted about 3-4 days. The second shot wasn't that bad at all. Just a little sore. I got the Shingles first then my 2 Covid shots then 3 or 2 weeks after my second Pfizer I got my final Shingrix. I really had to scramble to fit them all in within the prescribed time limits.

by Anonymousreply 46January 12, 2022 11:29 PM

This is all very helpful thank you! The odd thing is the first doctor thought I had folliculitis on one side of my chest. He gave me Keflex and that didn’t work. I had to see a second doctor for them to diagnose me with shingles.. lord! I just took my 6th gabapentin today. Jesus it feels like an internal sunburn!

by Anonymousreply 47January 12, 2022 11:30 PM

I’m getting the shingles vax in exactly one month. I had to schedule the appt, & they were backed up 3 months! Now I’d better not come down with it before then…keeping my stress to a minimum, but that’s about all you can do.

by Anonymousreply 48January 12, 2022 11:32 PM

I am so sorry, OP. I hope they go away soon and your discomfort can be eased.

by Anonymousreply 49January 12, 2022 11:33 PM

I turned 50 in May. It sounds like I’ll have to wait till it’s covered

by Anonymousreply 50January 12, 2022 11:33 PM

I got it at 47. I must have been lucky the nerve pain was in my right leg and it felt like I pulled a muscle, then of course on vacation my husband goes "what is that on your leg?" spiral-like sores all down my right thigh and leg. This was the height of bed bugs so I swore our hotel had them but they checked and told me no. So I go to urgent care and the doctor takes one look and goes "shingles." I had no idea what it was. He was amazed I was not in more pain. He gave me valtrix and told me to put apple cider vinegar on the spiral marks.

by Anonymousreply 51January 12, 2022 11:42 PM

When i had my first Shingrix shot I woke up in the middle of the night feeling nauseated and had chills. I had no trouble going back to sleep. This was about 12 hours after my injection. I went to work feeling blah and rundown. Lasted until nooninsh and went home and ate something and took a nap. When I woke up around 3 I felt fine. So the side effects hit me about 12 hours after the injection and lasted about 12 hours. The second shot I had no side effects. I had very little side effects on any of my three Covid shots. The only other injection side effect is when I had a Flu shot and a Pneumonia shot at the same time. That was sore upper arms for three days.

by Anonymousreply 52January 12, 2022 11:43 PM

The new shingles shot - Shingrix is a DEAD vaccine. The old vaccine - Zostavax - was taken off the market in late 2020. I got Shingrix in fall 2020 while there were still Zostavax vaccine floating around unexpired. I had research it and asked at my Kaiser appointment which one I was getting and they said Shingrix - they had stopped the other a while before.

So I have no idea if the side effects are different for the different vaccines.

by Anonymousreply 53January 12, 2022 11:50 PM

OMG! Why did I read this thread? I'm 51 and now terrified. I'm getting the shot tomorrow (if I can).

by Anonymousreply 54January 12, 2022 11:58 PM

R38, did your neighbor have chicken pox? My doctor said I didn’t need the shingles vaccine as I didn’t have chicken pox and was vaccinated against it.

by Anonymousreply 55January 13, 2022 12:07 AM

I took the Shingrex in the middle of the covid shoots too. I had no side effects -- just use the arm and I believe the symptoms are lessened that way.

I had heard of someone who got it in their eye and that was all the info I needed!

Also, I was charged ~ $180/ shot and I'm over 50 so don't expect it to be free but find out cause that's bullshit if it's now covered.

by Anonymousreply 56January 13, 2022 12:13 AM

Shingles doesn’t care

by Anonymousreply 57January 13, 2022 12:18 AM

r54 There's several vaccines that people aren't regularly offered.. it's too frequently an assumption among medical professionals that either you'll request them or you've already had them.

And you could also consider how many people lose access to their pediatric records and end up having to rely only on school records, if available, and again, there's a prevalent assumption that you're covered when that might not be the case. let alone, the various changes to the vaccine that may have taken place since.

It's like physicals - much of the public assumes that with an annual physical they'll be tested for everything and their gp will handle it. So, it carries the same kind of assumptions and generally most medical professionals lack the intimate details of their patients lives. . . and tend to fail to keep up with the stats on different demographics and their needs, so they tend to wait until there's a red flag. Some are afraid of potential offense, too, like when it comes to recommending the hpv & hbv vaccines.

by Anonymousreply 58January 13, 2022 12:22 AM

R40 Aciclovir at 1200mg doesn't seem to, I have really regular blood tests (4 times a year) for that and other conditions and they usually come out OK.

I had significant nerve damage from the initial attack, it also hit my lungs.

I also don't get cold sores now as a bonus.

by Anonymousreply 59January 13, 2022 12:51 AM

Shingles hits the lungs?

by Anonymousreply 60January 13, 2022 12:59 AM

^i think it can attack whatever organs are near where it hits. Although it’s usually on the torso, my mother knows someone who lost an eye to shingles.

by Anonymousreply 61January 13, 2022 1:16 AM

It's also possible to get it in other organs, even the brain.

I thankfully didn't get it in my eyes, though it was close.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62January 13, 2022 1:18 AM

FYI my older friend went for the shingles vax at CVS and discovered that the Minute Clinic would not accept his Blue Cross Medicare, but the pharmacy there did.

by Anonymousreply 63January 13, 2022 1:42 AM

I had a mild case 15 years ago. I was under tremendous stress at the time and I suspect that made me more susceptible. It’s caused by the same virus as chickenpox (Zoster. My doc prescribed Valtrex (an antivital stronger than Acyclovir) but nothing for pain management. Even with a mild case, the pain can be intense: imagine shards of broken glass under your skin. I had my first dose of Shingrix last month: no major side effects (other than a sore arm) but I’ve been told that the second dose reaction can be more severe. Not something to look forward to but I wouldn’t want to endure that pain again.

by Anonymousreply 64January 13, 2022 1:59 AM

For the people who are getting vaccines AFTER getting shingles, I thanks it they can come on more than once?

by Anonymousreply 65January 13, 2022 2:10 AM

*take

by Anonymousreply 66January 13, 2022 2:10 AM

If you have herpes or a compromised immune system can you get it before age 50?

by Anonymousreply 67January 13, 2022 2:13 AM

R65 There is no limit to the number of times that you can get an outbreak.

67 My Brother got then aged 14, he has no underlying health condition.

Dear

by Anonymousreply 68January 13, 2022 2:18 AM

R65 There is no limit to the number of times that you can get an outbreak.

R67 My Brother got then aged 14, he has no underlying health condition.

.fixed it R68

by Anonymousreply 69January 13, 2022 2:22 AM

My mother and my sister both had it, but the VA refuses to give me the vaccine until I hit 70.

You know what I say about my VA health care: I don't pay anything for it, and I get exactly what I pay for.

by Anonymousreply 70January 13, 2022 2:31 AM

Shingles? Shweetie I’ve been shingle for agesh, ever shince that bashtard David Gesht tricked me into marrying him! Honey it’sh GREAT to be shingle!

by Anonymousreply 71January 13, 2022 2:31 AM

Don’t you have Medicare, R70?

by Anonymousreply 72January 13, 2022 2:41 AM

I'm only 63.

by Anonymousreply 73January 13, 2022 2:43 AM

OP Sonny Bono who was a joke for most of his career was treated like Winston Churchill when he died. He was the former Mayor of Palm Springs and a Republican Congressman in California's 44th district when he collided with a tree while cross country skiing. Similarly, Saget is being called 'legendary' by the media to justify all the space and time devoted to his death.

by Anonymousreply 74January 13, 2022 2:52 AM

Here's some photos

I have a friend who got shingles when he was in his mid 60s and he got a lot of nerve damage. He lived 10 more years, but the quality of his life was really affected by shingles.

by Anonymousreply 75January 13, 2022 2:52 AM

photos

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76January 13, 2022 2:52 AM

[quote]If you have herpes or a compromised immune system can you get it before age 50?

I don't know, but it probably varies according to your insurance company/policy. Call them up and ask. Ask if the dr can request an override/exemption for you

by Anonymousreply 77January 13, 2022 2:54 AM

They don't care about your medical records. I thought that as well, but I was told they assume everyone over a certain age has had the pox and they just give it to you. I am assuming they also don't care if younger generations had the pox or not. It can't hurt you to get it even if you've never had chicken pox, so they give it to you.

Why would you not get it? What are you worried about?

by Anonymousreply 78January 13, 2022 4:10 AM

Whoring around much, OP?

by Anonymousreply 79January 13, 2022 4:25 AM

It runs in families, right? I just turned 50 and didn’t get it because no one in my family has had it.

by Anonymousreply 80January 13, 2022 4:47 AM

You need an antiviral immediately. Valacyclovir is the generic medicine that will fight it. Get that asap or you will have this for months or a year!

by Anonymousreply 81January 13, 2022 4:56 AM

Yes, there seems to be an increased risk if there is a positive family history. It seems to involve the more severe and recurring outbreaks.

However, that is just one risk factor.

by Anonymousreply 82January 13, 2022 5:01 AM

[quote] the VA refuses to give me the vaccine until I hit 70.

That’s appalling. Can you pay for it out of pocket somehow?

If you did a Go Fund Me, I’d pitch in. I sometimes wish we didn’t have to be anonymous here.

by Anonymousreply 83January 15, 2022 3:21 PM

r80 well, first you had to have had chickenpox as a kid. It is that virus. It stays dormant in your system and can get reactivated. the pain part is it "crawling" up your nerve endings to the surface.

by Anonymousreply 84January 15, 2022 5:15 PM

Be thankful you younguns have the chickenpox vaccine. You’ll never get shingles.

by Anonymousreply 85January 20, 2022 8:52 PM

R85 My brother was 9 years old when he had shingles (This was in 2006) and he was vaccinated. I guess maybe something was wrong with the vaccine?

by Anonymousreply 86January 20, 2022 9:16 PM

Shingle? Damn schraight I’m shingle. I’ll never get hitsched again!

by Anonymousreply 87January 20, 2022 9:21 PM

I am going tomorrow for my first Shingrix shot. Please wish me luck!

by Anonymousreply 88January 20, 2022 10:19 PM

I’m going the day after tomorrow for my first.

by Anonymousreply 89January 21, 2022 12:58 AM

Well I'm getting one now

by Anonymousreply 90January 21, 2022 1:15 AM

R13 Policies tend to get shittier every year and with every new job. I quit smoking 19 years ago and my dr said I should have a chest scan just in case. Insurance will not cover it because I quit too long ago. Same with colonoscopies. My first was covered but since it uncovered a condition—UC—subsequent colonoscopies are not covered. Health insurance providers THRIVE off sick people. It’s a fucking farce.

by Anonymousreply 91January 21, 2022 1:24 AM

I finished the Shingrix shots last month. In all my life, no injection ever caused so much lingering pain than those two. My arm ached for more than a week after the first one; about a week after the second. I don't know if it is the volume of the injection, or what.

Bear in mind that I have had dozens of inoculations in my life. I have had that barbaric TB test, during which they dig around under your skin with a needle. But that shingles vaccine was simply painful. Alas, I'm done. Be gone, shingles!

by Anonymousreply 92January 21, 2022 1:30 AM

My first shingles shot was the most painful shot I’ve ever had. The pain started shortly after injection and my arm hurt for 2 days. The second one was nothing.

by Anonymousreply 93January 21, 2022 1:44 AM

I would think something is wrong with his immune system R86, otherwise he wouldn’t have gotten the shingles vax at age 9.

by Anonymousreply 94January 21, 2022 1:16 PM

r86 did he have chickenpox first? I am curious how he got shingles if he never had chickenpox since it starts with chickenpox.

by Anonymousreply 95January 21, 2022 3:12 PM

Some people who have been vaccinated against chickenpox can still get the disease. However, they usually have milder symptoms with fewer or no blisters (or just red spots), a mild or no fever, and are sick for a shorter period of time than people who are not vaccinated.

Probably didn't notice if he had a breakthrough case.

by Anonymousreply 96January 21, 2022 3:39 PM

As someone who got their Shingirx shots late 2020 and 2021, just to clarify: the shot itself is not painful. It is a normal shot. The pain referred to is a sore arm after. My soreness - which is why I had it in my left arm - started maybe 4-5 hours later and lasted for maybe 4 days. It was very, very sore. Not really painful, as I define pain, just soreness. I could not sleep on that side. The second shot had very minimal soreness.

Don't be foolish - there is no downside to getting the shot - just get it.

by Anonymousreply 97January 21, 2022 3:53 PM

r96 Right but at 9 and NOT having chickenpox, how does the virus get in his system - unless you can get it from the vaccine but that would seem really shitty. As I understand it Shingles is the virus that causes chickenpox. It lays dormant and gets reactivated - the pain being the virus "crawling" your nerves to result in blisters, sometimes painful on one side of the body. You can't get shingles if you haven't had chicken pox.

by Anonymousreply 98January 21, 2022 4:59 PM

He must have had chickenpox but the infection was so mild because he was vaccinated it went unnoticed.

R96

by Anonymousreply 99January 21, 2022 5:41 PM

Based on this thread, I’ve finally made an appointment for next Friday. I dread based on this thread and for other peoples talking about it. But I guess it’s better than having shingles. No member of my family has ever had shingles. I’m 66 and had CP when I was 6.

by Anonymousreply 100January 21, 2022 6:34 PM

My father is dealing with shingles right now. It was about a week before the blusters broke out and he was dealing with a lot of pain in his abdomen that we had thought were from a bowel obstruction. CAT scan and imaging showed nothing and we were really worried until the the blisters broke out and we were able to finally identify the culprit.

by Anonymousreply 101January 21, 2022 6:48 PM

R98 My mom always thought he got it from football— but I don’t know how that makes any sense. I think his vaccine just wasn’t effective and like another poster said, maybe he had just had an ineffective vaccine for whatever reason. I did google and see a Doctor in Texas said he had an 8 year old patient who had it, and it most likely manifested because of stress

by Anonymousreply 102January 21, 2022 7:54 PM

R102 At least 10-15% of children vaccinated go on to get chickenpox, no vaccine is 100% effective. It's usually very mild cases though and sometimes nobody realizes they've had it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103January 21, 2022 8:10 PM

I got my second shingrix a week ago. From what I remember the first one (in early October) was fine. But the second one was awful. My arm was initially just vaguely sore but 24 hours lated I was feeling extreme pain. My arm was throbbing. I also had an in and out fever for a few days. Glad it’s over and done with.

by Anonymousreply 104January 21, 2022 8:57 PM

I had a really bad case of chicken pox at around age 5 (my titers as an adult show this) and today I got my first shingles vax. A friend just got shingles and said get the shot you do not want this. I took two Tylenol and put ice on the vax site; the vax burned going in a little. Will be getting the second in 2-6 months.

by Anonymousreply 105January 21, 2022 10:16 PM

I was told to get my second shingles shot in 2 to 4 months.

by Anonymousreply 106January 22, 2022 12:18 AM

^ I'll probably get my second in about 3 months to be sure.

by Anonymousreply 107January 22, 2022 12:38 AM

When you get your covid vaccine you have to wait IIRC 14 days to get your Shingrix.

I assume that also holds for the Covid Booster, but I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 108January 22, 2022 1:10 AM

Well, Rite Aid refused to give me a shingles shot because I don’t not have a “prescription card.” I have Medicare and supplemental. Never been asked for a prescription card before. Get my meds at Stop N Shop but Rite Aid is closer, so I figured I’d get vax there. I figured wrong.

by Anonymousreply 109January 22, 2022 4:59 PM

Got my first shot yesterday at 5 pm. So far today, only the injection site is sore (a 4 on a scale of 0-10), which is much less than when I got my flu shot in November. Keeping my fingers crossed I will be OK in terms of any other side effects.

by Anonymousreply 110January 22, 2022 5:20 PM

Are any of you who got the shingles vax over 65? Did you have a prescription card?

by Anonymousreply 111January 22, 2022 5:40 PM

Sweet jebus my heart goes out to anyone going through this. I haven't had the shingles vax but I will get it! Christ almighty.

by Anonymousreply 112January 22, 2022 5:47 PM

I had shingles at 35, but it was isolated to a patch on my abdomen and relatively tolerable. Gone in 2 weeks. Definitely was brought on by stress. Wishing you a speedy recovery OP!

by Anonymousreply 113January 22, 2022 5:48 PM

R105) Yes, please keep us updated. Next Friday for me.

R111) Not sure what you mean by prescription card. I’m 66 on Medicare with supplemental health and prescription plan. I made mine online where I fill my prescription. It’s supposed to be 170.00, but will go toward my deductible.

by Anonymousreply 114January 22, 2022 5:48 PM

I got the vaccine at Walgreens pharmacy without a prescription. I'm 64 and it was on my medical record as something I should get. My insurance covered it. I thought that insurance covered these things as preventative.

by Anonymousreply 115January 22, 2022 5:49 PM

I have no idea where I’m supposed to get this “prescription card” for Medicare part D this woman was telling me I had to have. I filled out a form online too, and not only put in my Medicare number but I also uploaded photos of front and back of my Medicare card. She held up my Medicare card and said “This isn’t what you need. You need a prescription card.”

I’m going to CVS next time. I’m done with Rite Aid/Walgreens.

by Anonymousreply 116January 22, 2022 5:59 PM

I got my shot at cvs last week. I had side effects identical to my Covid booster that night. Headache and generally achy, and a low fever. It went away quickly

by Anonymousreply 117January 22, 2022 6:08 PM

This thread should be titled: Scared Straight - Shingles (get your shot)

by Anonymousreply 118January 22, 2022 6:26 PM

R116) Have you got Medicare Part D. This is your prescription drug plan. You have to do this yourself. You have to make the selection. Medicare.Gov is where you search out the Medicare Part D plan. It gives you the option to enter your prescription drugs and then it populates what Medicare feels is the best fit for you., but I think you should look at all the ones that the Medicare website shows you. You have to make the choice than contact them. Humana, BC, United Healthcare, ect. My PCP did tell me to stay away from advantage plans.

by Anonymousreply 119January 22, 2022 6:45 PM

I have CIGNA through my employer and there was no charge for the shingles vax. fyi It's almost 5 pm on Saturday and so far so good except for the soreness at the injection site, which I mentioned above.

by Anonymousreply 120January 22, 2022 8:51 PM

FWIW, the older Shingles vaccine had much worse side effects such as pain, fever, itching, etc. My husband's infectious disease doctor recommended I against it for both of us. For the newer vaccine, Shingrex, he recommended both of us get it. The side effects were really minor -- some swelling, headache. But compared to shingles...

by Anonymousreply 121January 22, 2022 10:05 PM

[quote] I think you need a doctor's prescription for this vaccine. Anyone know if this is the case?

You do not

by Anonymousreply 122January 22, 2022 11:58 PM

I had my first shingles shot and had a prescription from my doctor, I go back in March for my second one. I had no side effects from it. Had it done at Walgreen's.

by Anonymousreply 123January 23, 2022 12:09 AM

Shingles is horrible. (are horrible)

I had a bad case at the start of the pandemic... tried CBD to ease the pain, and, although a recovering addict, added THC to make it more powerful. Broke decades of continuous sobriety. After it healed I stopped, but I digress.

I was told that once you have had shingles you don't need either the original vax (I'd had that before) or the new super-duper fax.

Also, I've got longterm nerve damage. Sometimes finger is extremely painful, two years later.

by Anonymousreply 124January 23, 2022 12:13 AM

R105) Any updates on how you are doing. Thanks

by Anonymousreply 125January 24, 2022 6:59 PM

Hi R125, thanks for asking. I am fine. As you know I got the shot on Friday and by this morning the soreness at the injection site is almost gone completely. I did not have any other side effects after the shot. My friend who has shingles encouraged me to get the vaccine (I was planning to but didn't get around to it) and so I am really glad I scheduled it and got it. Shingles is really horrible. I know someone who got it in their mouth and it went to her inner ear.

by Anonymousreply 126January 25, 2022 10:49 AM

I got it last year. Had no idea what it was but it felt like a soccer team was taking turns kicking me on my side and in my back...for like 24 hours a day. LUCKILY, I have a high pain tolerance AND backup Vicodin. Also, Lucky for me, it began on that Friday of Memorial Day weekend so I couldn't see my doctor until Tuesday. I could barely walk to her office.

I had been using a hot water bottle on the pulsating areas and it seemed to ease the pain. Then I noticed what I thought were"burns" in the areas where I had placed the extremely hot bottle and just figured I had burnt my skin. So I put cocoa butter on it and kept it moving.

Cut to...being in my doctor's office that Tuesday and taking off my shirt after describing the pain. She looks at me and says "Dude, THAT'S shingles." I said, "Nuh-uh. I ain't THAT old....am I?" She then informed me that she's had patients in their 20s with it.

Get the FUCKING vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 127January 25, 2022 12:18 PM

Gabapentin can be fun. It makes you feel loose. Where I live I can get it without a prescription. Laws are more lax when it comes to pharma.

by Anonymousreply 128January 25, 2022 4:16 PM

R105 and R126) Thanks for the update and glad you didn’t have to bad of side effects. I can deal with a sore arm I think. I get mine on Friday. S, hopefully mine will be like yours. Thanks again for the update.

by Anonymousreply 129January 25, 2022 6:03 PM

I've had recurring stress shingles a few times. Since vaccination, there have been a couple of very mild indications that the virus is trying to cause trouble, but Shingrex won't let it. Always on the back of my right leg just above the knee. What was a seven on terms of pain/sores is now barely a one, twinges with a single sore, if any.

ACA policies are required to cover the shots.

by Anonymousreply 130January 25, 2022 6:19 PM

OP here!

Omg! I wish I would’ve read all this before getting shingles. I’ve never felt pain like this in my life. My bumps and pretty much fading away at this point… Thank God! The nerve pain is subsiding. Still feels like I have a sunburn. My doctor says I have to wait at least a month after this is cleared up before I can get my vaccine… I’m gonna be the first freaking person in line

by Anonymousreply 131January 25, 2022 6:22 PM

I personally find gabapentin useless but my doctor says it works for some people, not for others. I do however find edibles to be the best thing I have found thus far for nerve pain.

by Anonymousreply 132January 25, 2022 6:22 PM

R129 you have made a good decision--get it! You will be fine if your experience is like mine. Keep us posted here on how you are doing.

by Anonymousreply 133January 25, 2022 10:09 PM

R129) I’ll definitely keep you updated

by Anonymousreply 134January 25, 2022 10:42 PM

[quote] I personally find gabapentin useless

Put a little vodka in the mix and then get back to me

by Anonymousreply 135January 25, 2022 11:27 PM

I received the Shingrix vaccine 2 years ago recently I had a bout of shingles, I am glad I had the vaccine! It felt like an itchy rash around my hips I was able too stop the itch with a good moisturizer. I shudder to think how it would have been if I was not vaccinated.

by Anonymousreply 136January 26, 2022 8:45 PM

R105/R126: Got my shingles shot yesterday. Shot not at all bad, as I had been hearing. Arm sore within 2-3 hrs, but not unbearable. This morning, arm is much better....not seeing any side effects as far as fatigue, headache, chills, ect.

by Anonymousreply 137January 29, 2022 2:36 PM

Shingles can be whaaaaaa?!

by Anonymousreply 138January 29, 2022 2:41 PM

Are you on Medicare? Did they ask you for a prescription card besides your Medicare & supplemental card?

by Anonymousreply 139January 29, 2022 3:56 PM

R139) Yes, I’m 66 so I am on Medicare. I booked the appointment online and asked for my Medicare info. I have not reached my deductible, so it was out of pocket. It supposedly will go toward my deductible. I have to submit it to be applied, but not real sure who I submit it.

by Anonymousreply 140January 29, 2022 5:14 PM

Forgot to answer your question… they didn’t ask for my supplemental insurance or my prescription info.

by Anonymousreply 141January 29, 2022 5:16 PM

Yeah, they asked for my Medicare info too when I applied for the appointment. I gave the numbers & uploaded pics of the front & back of my card and gave my secondary insurance name & number.

But they wanted another card.

How much is it out of pocket? I’ll probably have to pay for it.

by Anonymousreply 142January 29, 2022 6:04 PM

Shingrix should be free if you have Medicare supplemental insurance. Mine was. There was no deductible. I have the cheaper Kaiser one.

by Anonymousreply 143January 29, 2022 7:23 PM

It was 182.00, if I had met my deductible it would have been 47 or around that. I do have a supplemental, but they didn’t ask for that information.

by Anonymousreply 144January 29, 2022 7:34 PM

R132-- good for you! I got my shot at Walgreens and it didn't cost me anything (but they probably billed my insurance which is Cigna PPO)

by Anonymousreply 145January 30, 2022 10:37 AM

Sounds like you need to submit the bill to your supplemental for money back, R144.

by Anonymousreply 146January 30, 2022 12:20 PM

R146) I plan to submit...just need to figure out where to submit it to. Medicare or Supplemental .

by Anonymousreply 147January 30, 2022 12:44 PM

Sounds like you need to talk to the provider (pharmacy) R147 to find out what they've submitted. I suspect the person you dealt with mistakenly thought Medicare would cover it like Covid shots, no need for supplemental. Highly likely, if you get someone who isn't new, they'll realize they should claim against your supplemental then and there. Please let us know.

by Anonymousreply 148January 30, 2022 1:08 PM

R148) I actually suspected that, but since I didn’t know for sure didn’t want to argue the point with them. It will probably be Wednesday before I can check on it.

by Anonymousreply 149January 30, 2022 1:44 PM

OH BOY! I'm jusht sho glad I ran into YOU! I'm Pisches, and I sure hope you're shingles!

by Anonymousreply 150January 30, 2022 3:01 PM

Just had my second shot yesterday. Sore arm, dull headache and body aches but nothing extreme. Having suffered through one bout of shingles, this seems like a small price to pay.

by Anonymousreply 151March 5, 2022 9:52 PM

I was skeptical about the Shingrex vaccine. I'm glad I got my first shot last week. I have up to 6 months for my second one, but I'll get it around 4 months. Shingles sounds like hell. I'm sorry you're going through that, OP.

by Anonymousreply 152March 5, 2022 10:05 PM

R111...I'm over 65 and my prescription plan on my supplemental insurance, with Medicare covered it.

by Anonymousreply 153March 5, 2022 10:08 PM

My spouse had shingles about a year ago. I explained to get it you needed to have chicken pox. He couldn't remember it but then it came to him, he had chicken pox as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 154March 5, 2022 10:14 PM

It makes me so happy that I am fully vaccinated. Thank You Obamacare.

by Anonymousreply 155March 5, 2022 10:17 PM

I made an appointment online with CVS for the vaccine. I think you can even go in the pharmacies and just get it now.

by Anonymousreply 156March 5, 2022 10:23 PM

Call and make sure they have it in stock

by Anonymousreply 157March 5, 2022 10:37 PM

I wouldn't just walk in either, as there may be folks ahead of you if you do so. Generally, at my Walgreens, there's only one person on duty giving shots.

by Anonymousreply 158March 6, 2022 12:36 PM

I had the single Shingle shot 11 years ago after a moderate outbreak on my left side and stomach. A few years later, I had three or four sores appear on my stomach. This week I had one sore on my left side. Coincidently, I had a pre-established appointment with a dermatologist on a another, unrelated matter this week. He looked at the spot and confirmed it was a "Shingle".

by Anonymousreply 159March 6, 2022 12:48 PM

I'm thinking that it's the prescription plans that cover this vaccine. Covid and the flu are covered by the regular insurances, but not all vaccines are covered the same. It was for me, anyway. Check to make sure which insurance covers what. It could be the prescription plan.

by Anonymousreply 160March 6, 2022 1:08 PM

I thank the gods I have a great medical plan- they cover the vaccine.. I think I got the older version, as they kicked my ass way more than the CV vax. Everybody up on their colonoscopies?

by Anonymousreply 161March 6, 2022 3:18 PM

I had a mild case of shingles in my mid-20s. A small patch about the size of a half-dollar coin broke out on my back/shoulder blade. I got treatment before it could spread beyond that. I'm 57 now and almost 35 years later whenever I'm really tired or stressed I still feel a sharp stabbing pain in that area of my back.

by Anonymousreply 162March 6, 2022 3:38 PM

I'm really sorry to hear that, OP. Gabapentin seems to be the thing that doctors throw at patients in lieu of pain relievers.

by Anonymousreply 163March 6, 2022 3:49 PM

[quote] I made an appointment online with CVS for the vaccine

No CVS near me gives the shingles vaccine. No wonder they’re having to close stores.

by Anonymousreply 164March 7, 2022 8:17 PM

You can try Walgreens or Rite Aid. ^^ I know Walgreens gives vaccines.

by Anonymousreply 165March 7, 2022 8:29 PM

I just got my second dose. Both at CVS. Insurance covered both.

by Anonymousreply 166March 7, 2022 8:30 PM

I had my shingles shots at Walgreens, covered by my ACA policy.

by Anonymousreply 167March 8, 2022 12:11 AM

My first shingle shot wasn't bad. I had a slightly sore arm....like when I get a flu shot. It went away after a day. It wasn't terrible or painful and was like other vaccines I've taken. A soreness in the injected arm is expected. I hope the second shot is as easy as the first one.

by Anonymousreply 168March 8, 2022 9:33 AM

People that bitch about the ACA just don't know how good it is.

by Anonymousreply 169March 8, 2022 11:27 AM

Tried to make online appointment but I can’t. They want “RX bin” number. I have Medicare and I have AARP supplemental insurance. I don’t have RX bin on either one. No idea what 6hey want & they won’t make appointment without filling it in .

by Anonymousreply 170March 9, 2022 3:30 PM

RX bin number is on a prescription plan. It won't be on your regular supplemental insurance. Maybe you do have a prescription plan, but don't know it? Call your AARP insurance to see what you have.

by Anonymousreply 171March 9, 2022 3:43 PM

I have Medicare, a supplemental Medicare advantage insurance plan (through the company I worked, before retiring), and a prescription plan, Express Scripts...all tied into together, but separate...if that makes sense. What Medicare won't cover, the advantage plan picks up. What both Medicare and the advantage won't pay, the Express Scripts (prescription) plan pays. That includes certain vaccines, such as Shingrex, that only my prescription plan will pay...usually anything in Part D. I know it's complicated and confusing...and I'm still trying to figure it out. I just keep calling them to ask. I think Medicare picks up Parts A and B...then the advantage supplemental plan pays for Part C. The prescription plan pays for Part D. I may be a little off in that..but essentially, each plan pays for what the other plans don't...not including co-pays and some out of pocket expenses.

by Anonymousreply 172March 9, 2022 3:57 PM

I got the vaccines. I was terrified that I'd get side effects that would side line me, but all I had was some mild arm pain at the site of injection and mild fatigue, both times. Same for my partner. I prepared for side effects in the event that was going to happen, but neither one of us got sick from it. We both took it easy for 24 hours. That's was about it.

by Anonymousreply 173March 9, 2022 3:58 PM

I had to pay $40 for each shingles shot.

by Anonymousreply 174June 7, 2022 10:37 PM

It's included with ACA plans - do you have some other insurance with copay?

by Anonymousreply 175June 7, 2022 10:49 PM

I just got my first dose of the shingles vaccine on Friday. My arm is still red but it's not sore anymore. I didn't really notice any other symptoms except fatigue the first 48 hours. They said nothing about insurance not covering so I assume it was covered. Based on these stories I'm glad I got it and look forward to the second dose. I have enough stress in my life, I don't need shingles.

by Anonymousreply 176June 7, 2022 10:54 PM

I've had recurring shingles from stress. Since my two shots, I've sensed when it was trying to recur, but never amounted to much beyond a twinge.

by Anonymousreply 177June 8, 2022 12:03 AM

Weren't they expecting a spike in shingles cases as a result of covid vaccinations?

That's why there was suddenly advertising for shingles treatments by pharmaceutical companies?

by Anonymousreply 178June 8, 2022 12:29 AM

It's like the pharmaceutical companies have been driving the past 2 years... or something.

by Anonymousreply 179June 8, 2022 1:14 AM

I have Medicare. $40 per shot

by Anonymousreply 180June 8, 2022 1:33 AM

R178 The patent on pretty much every antiviral for shingles has expired now. You should be able to get a full 56 pill generic course for under $10 (they start at £2.40 in the UK).

by Anonymousreply 181June 8, 2022 2:19 AM

OP, my heart goes out to you. I hope the pain has receded and you're better now.

by Anonymousreply 182June 8, 2022 2:23 AM

To think I was afraid of side effects of the shot.

by Anonymousreply 183June 8, 2022 4:41 AM

They say the older you’re, the fewer side effects you experience from the vax. I had a fever from each shot, close to 101. My mother had zero side effects from the first shot & a 100 fever from shot 2.

by Anonymousreply 184June 8, 2022 5:11 AM

I have never had chicken pox. I didnt get the chicken pox vaccine either. Should I take the chicken pox vaccine first before taking the shingles vaccine? I am under 40 years.

by Anonymousreply 185June 8, 2022 10:50 AM

If you are Absolutely Sure that you have never had Chickenpox, then you don't need the Shingles vaccine. Probably best to have the Chickenpox one though.

My Husband would have sworn on a stack of Bibles that he'd never had Chickenpox and then he got Shingles. I asked his older sister in the end and he and his twin both had it as babies, he had no idea.

by Anonymousreply 186June 8, 2022 11:51 AM

When he was in his 50s David Letterman got shingles in his eyes! I'm guessing yours isn't that bad so that's something.

by Anonymousreply 187June 8, 2022 11:56 AM

I had both shots this winter after reading this thread. Thank you DL.

by Anonymousreply 188June 8, 2022 12:27 PM

My doctor told me that even if I never had chickenpox, I could have still been exposed to the virus and had it, but was asymptomatic. I simply don't remember if I had it or not. Apparently, over 99% of Americans over 40 have had chickenpox, so I will assume I did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189June 8, 2022 12:41 PM

Acupuncture can help. Why can't you take gabapentin during the day?

by Anonymousreply 190June 8, 2022 12:41 PM

I’ve never had chicken-pox so I don’t need to have the vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 191June 8, 2022 12:44 PM

R186, thank you. yes, I wasn't sure whether I had it or not and my doctor took a blood test and found out that i never had it.

by Anonymousreply 192June 8, 2022 1:03 PM

R180) Medicare also. I have supplemental insurance, which also includes a prescription plan. First shot, 182(Kroger), 2nd shot, 166 (Target and that using GoodRX). No severe side effects.

by Anonymousreply 193June 8, 2022 1:10 PM

You paid that out-of-pocket with a prescription plan, or is that how much they paid the provider on your receipt?

by Anonymousreply 194June 8, 2022 1:33 PM

Have they put you on an anti-viral like Valtrex? I had an outbreak in my early 30s on my leg. Oddly they didn't hurt. The most pain I had was during the inital outbreak while the virus traveled up my nerves. Where is your outbreak?

by Anonymousreply 195June 8, 2022 2:04 PM

R194) Neither of my 3 plans covered it. This was out of pocket. I do think Kroger said that my prescription plan did cover a nominal amount, but still 182 at Kroger.

by Anonymousreply 196June 8, 2022 2:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!