Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Shingrix, the shingles vaccine

Got my flu shot. Got my booster. But I've put off getting the shingles vaccine because ... well, no good reason.

I plan to get it done in the next couple of weeks. Shingles is a real bitch.

Has anyone had it done? Any side effects immediately after?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164April 17, 2023 11:56 AM

I’m 56 and got the vaccine within the past year. I had no reactions. It’s a 2-part vaccine. Older family members including my father have gotten shingles. It’s very painful. Stress can bring it on. Get the shot if you can.

by Anonymousreply 1October 10, 2021 12:24 AM

Good luck OP!

by Anonymousreply 2October 10, 2021 12:33 AM

Shingles is awful. The shots are nothing. Get them as fast as you can. Shingles is not only painful, it's disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 3October 10, 2021 12:35 AM

What the hell brought this sudden disgustingness on?

by Anonymousreply 4October 10, 2021 12:36 AM

When I’ve asked my doctor about a vaccine, he’s referred me to a drug store where I can purchase it. Have others been able to get the vaccine at their doctor’s office?

by Anonymousreply 5October 10, 2021 12:37 AM

One of my friends said his doctor sort of scoffed at him getting the shingles shot. WTF? There is no downside I could find when I researched it and so I got mine last November and then my 2d in May. No way I am playing with that shit.

Actually thank you OP for bringing some reality to it all.

by Anonymousreply 6October 10, 2021 12:47 AM

Felt shitty the day after each shot and my arm hurt for a couple days afterwards worse than from any other shot I've had. My doctor did tell me not to plan anything for the day after the shot and I'm glad I didn't. Shingrex us known to have these type of side effects. But who knows, maybe you won't have any.

by Anonymousreply 7October 10, 2021 12:49 AM

I was just wondering this, too. I got my flu shot, saw the option for Shingles and decided not to get it. I did have Chicken pox as a kid so I probably should. I'm 52.

by Anonymousreply 8October 10, 2021 12:50 AM

Got the shot several years back. Then, it was a single shot.

I had a moderate outbreak of the shingles prior to the shot. It was painful and was prescribed a topical treatment from the physician.

Later, I had a few sores (3 or 4) appear on my stomach post-vacine, a couple of years ago. Nothing since.

Shingles is awful. Take the shots if you are 50+.

by Anonymousreply 9October 10, 2021 12:50 AM

Is there a certain age you're supposed to get this vaccine at?

by Anonymousreply 10October 10, 2021 12:50 AM

Had the shingles and it didn’t look like THAT - damn! 🤮

It sucked and I felt like shit. Oddly enough, my brother, my cousins and I have all had shingles (in our 20s and early 30s) but my mother and aunt (in their 60s) haven’t. They both keep saying they’re going to get the vaccine, but they haven’t yet.

by Anonymousreply 11October 10, 2021 12:52 AM

[quote]They both keep saying they’re going to get the vaccine, but they haven’t yet.

That's my thing. I don't know why I haven't just done it.

by Anonymousreply 12October 10, 2021 12:54 AM

60 and over is what I was told. First shot, just injection site pain. Second shot—middle of the night woke up with pain and flu like symptoms. They went away in another 36 hours. Still glad I got it.

by Anonymousreply 13October 10, 2021 12:54 AM

Timely! I go in for my first dose Monday. Then back in December for the second. I'm also getting a TDap booster Monday.

by Anonymousreply 14October 10, 2021 12:56 AM

I had the 2 Shingrix shots a couple years ago. I think at the time it was recommended at age 60, but now it might be 50. Only side effect was a sore arm for a week or so after the first shot.

by Anonymousreply 15October 10, 2021 12:59 AM

Shingles is a horrible disease, I’ve seen people go blind because they got it in their eye. If you’re 50+ I would definitely recommend the Shingrix vaccine. May feel bad for a day or two afterward but is well worth it!

by Anonymousreply 16October 10, 2021 1:00 AM

First shot was painless with no side affects. Second one hurt for three days and I felt mildly like crap for 24 hours. But glad I did it.

by Anonymousreply 17October 10, 2021 1:21 AM

I got vaxxed for shingles, 2 shot, IIRC.

[quote] One of my friends said his doctor sort of scoffed at him getting the shingles shot. WTF?

My doctor didn't scoff, but was like: OK, if you really want this vaccine ... I was thinking WTF as well.

The side effects from the Moderna Covid vax were worse than the shingles vax, IME.

by Anonymousreply 18October 10, 2021 1:30 AM

I had been debating the two shots. CVC charges $234 each. Yikes! But after seeing that pix, I’m going tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 19October 10, 2021 1:33 AM

Husband and I just got our first shingles shot a couple of weeks ago. Arm hurt like hell for a couple of days. Will get the second shot in two or three months, then will be good for life. You DO NOT want shingles.

by Anonymousreply 20October 10, 2021 1:35 AM

Shingles is very treatable if you take medicine right away. It’s the “wait and see” that gets you because then it’s too late.

by Anonymousreply 21October 10, 2021 1:37 AM

Age guideline have been lowered for the shingles vaccine. It used to be a one-shot, very expensive vaccine (it still may be) and had to be refrigerated. It was only recommended it for those age 65 and older, with some doctors giving it to patients at 60-65.

Now those 50 years and older can get the shingles vaccine. The vaccine is two shots spaced six months apart. And it's good for life.

I got my double shot. No side effects at all, not even a sore arm. Get it done. You'll be glad you did.

by Anonymousreply 22October 10, 2021 1:39 AM

My parents (60s) both recently got theirs at the local CVS - they went to schedule flu shots and the pharmacist said they could get shingles shots there too, so they went back a week later.

Mom had some minor flu-like side effects, Dad did not, jiust sore arm.

by Anonymousreply 23October 10, 2021 1:41 AM

^^Ha! I remember now my dad said the worst side effect is he wound up on CVS's email list and they spam him twice a day despite hitting unsubscribe every time.

by Anonymousreply 24October 10, 2021 1:43 AM

R9 if you had the single shot, that is a not very effective vaccine compared to the shingrix two shot vaccine, you can get both, I had the single shot before shingrix came out and then got the two shot shingrix. You should consider getting shingrix too it is way more effective than the one shot vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 25October 10, 2021 1:45 AM

I like the fact that the vaccine's name is relevant to the disease. Most drugs have weird made up names and you have no idea what they treat. Plus, it's a cute name!

by Anonymousreply 26October 10, 2021 1:45 AM

I had no idea it was good for life. Now I'm going to get it.

by Anonymousreply 27October 10, 2021 1:49 AM

Good for you, R19. If you compare the cost of the vaccine to the cost of actually getting shingles, you're coming out ahead. (Cost of shingles: being incapacitated for a while, etc.)

by Anonymousreply 28October 10, 2021 1:53 AM

I got the single shot version as soon as I became eligible at 60, then got the Shingrex in 2 doses 6 months apart as soon as it became available 3 years ago. No reaction to any of them and the shots were free at my HMO. The disease is nothing to fool around with so I think everyone should get vaccinated if they can, no matter what.

by Anonymousreply 29October 10, 2021 1:57 AM

Shots are nothing.

by Anonymousreply 30October 10, 2021 1:58 AM

Shingles can be wha-a-a-?! I love that one.

by Anonymousreply 31October 10, 2021 2:00 AM

Shingles can be wha-a-a-a?!hee her, I love that one.

by Anonymousreply 32October 10, 2021 2:02 AM

I got shingles in my late 30s. A boyfriend diagnosed it, I got drugs right away, and it was incredibly painful. The nerve damage is still there.

I got the shot as soon as I turned 50. I had a 100 degree fever and aches and chills. It was nothing compared to shingles - and I had a mild case.

by Anonymousreply 33October 10, 2021 2:04 AM

And here I thought only old people got shingles

by Anonymousreply 34October 10, 2021 2:05 AM

If that picture from OP was a COVID symptom, the whole world would be vaccinated in a week.

by Anonymousreply 35October 10, 2021 2:05 AM

Had shingles went to the dermatologist who diagnosed it and put me on Valtrex which cleared it up. If caught early it won't spread. I had it on my chest and it was itchy and the size of a dime and my arms ached for days. My friend who never had shingles was hospitalized after receiving the first shot of the vaccine with rapid heart beat and fever. If you've never had chicken pox avoid people with shingles it could cause you to get chicken pox, but unlike herpes which is caused by the same virus you cannot spread shingles and shingles doesn't reoccur like herpes in the majority of cases. I had it over 20 years ago and don't plan to get the shot. I know several other people who had shingles and who recovered without any adverse effects and from what I've seen it looks nothing like the photo above. It can look like a small scab. One of my friends had it on his forehead and it caused him headaches and if untreated it could have spread to the eye area.

by Anonymousreply 36October 10, 2021 2:08 AM

Get the vax, it is far superior to the previous version. It's even highly effective at older decades. You don't want shingles - you just don't know if you'll get a mild version or a really devastating one - and if you do get a devastating one you can't count on getting sufficient pain relief in this anti-pain-med climate.

by Anonymousreply 37October 10, 2021 2:11 AM

[quote]I had been debating the two shots. CVC charges $234 each. Yikes! But after seeing that pix, I’m going tomorrow.

There's no generic version. Check GoodRx for prices in your area. In mine it ranges from $140 to $210 depending where you get it.

by Anonymousreply 38October 10, 2021 2:11 AM

Does Medicare pay any of the cost?

by Anonymousreply 39October 10, 2021 2:18 AM

So you have to go to CVS? You can’t get it at your doctor’s office, even if that’s where you get your flu shot?

by Anonymousreply 40October 10, 2021 2:18 AM

Thank you thank you THANK YOU r38. $65 savings from their quoted price. Hug.

by Anonymousreply 41October 10, 2021 2:18 AM

It’s the “wait and see” that gets you because then it’s too late.

Yep, just get the stupid shot even if you have to pay for it.

by Anonymousreply 42October 10, 2021 2:22 AM

I didn't have any side effects immediately after. For a few days after the first shot I felt like I had a cold. I had no side effects from the second shot.

by Anonymousreply 43October 10, 2021 2:25 AM

If you haven't had the shot, keep some Tagamet on hand in case of an outbreak, it can help lessen duration and severity. PubMed articles on this but this is easier to read.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 10, 2021 2:27 AM

[quote]Thank you thank you THANK YOU [R38]. $65 savings from their quoted price. Hug.

You're welcome! The first time I used GoodRx for a non-generic I saved more than $100 by driving two miles farther to a supermarket pharmacy. It's a great service.

by Anonymousreply 45October 10, 2021 2:30 AM

I was thinking about this today. I'm 50 and was wondering if I should get the shot. Then I thought that since I had Chicken Pox as a kid that I would be fine, but I just Googled and it said that chicken pox as a kid doesn't protect you. I guess I'll get the shot.

by Anonymousreply 46October 10, 2021 2:34 AM

You can get the vaccine at the pharmacy at Walgreens.

by Anonymousreply 47October 10, 2021 2:36 AM

R46 Shingles occurs only in people who have had chicken pox.

by Anonymousreply 48October 10, 2021 2:36 AM

[quote] Does Medicare pay any of the cost?

Yes. Completely free if you have Medicare B. I had MC B with a Kaiser supplemental or advantage whatever it's called in the DC area. Along with my other free shots: pneumonia shot, my dTap and my flu shots. And, of course, Cvoid.

Hell MC paid for my lyft ride to and from Kaiser to get my Covid shots. YES!!! The clinic I usually walk to on 23rd Street wasn't giving out Covid shots. Just the one near Union Station.

by Anonymousreply 49October 10, 2021 2:39 AM

Medicare D should cover the cost after your deductible and copay, R39.

by Anonymousreply 50October 10, 2021 2:44 AM

This is R50, I meant B, not D, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 51October 10, 2021 2:47 AM

Vaccines are not subject to deductibles or copays - at least not with my MC.

by Anonymousreply 52October 10, 2021 2:51 AM

Here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53October 10, 2021 2:55 AM

My doctor encouraged me to get the vaccine, so I did earlier this year. I had no side effects after the first shot and a case of chills after the second, but otherwise it was fine. Glad I got it.

by Anonymousreply 54October 10, 2021 2:56 AM

I remember David letterman got shingles years ago and was sidelined from his show for a month because of how bad it was.

My grandmother had it and she was in horrible pain.

Get the vaccine. Both my parents got it with no issues. I will get it as soon as I’m eligible.

by Anonymousreply 55October 10, 2021 3:05 AM

Thanks, r49 and r51.

by Anonymousreply 56October 10, 2021 3:07 AM

R10 you're supposed to get this after age 50. One of my friends just got it at the doctor's office.

He told me that the first shot was not bad, just sore arm for 2 days. 2nd shot, he was tired for 2 days, arm was sore for 3 days and there was a redness and swelling near injection site (all normal side effects).

by Anonymousreply 57October 10, 2021 3:10 AM

R5 Your doctor is a quack

by Anonymousreply 58October 10, 2021 3:12 AM

I have had both the single shot and the Shingrix double shot. With Shingrix, it was only the second shot that I had flu-like symptoms the day after. I got the vaccines before I was on Medicare, but my insurance completely covered the cost.

by Anonymousreply 59October 10, 2021 3:12 AM

I was a little fatigued after the 2nd shot but that was it.

by Anonymousreply 60October 10, 2021 3:20 AM

I’m 51 & am scheduling my Shingrix shot in the next couple weeks. I know a few people who’ve had horrible cases of shingles, & my mother knows someone who lost an eye from it. Scary!

by Anonymousreply 61October 10, 2021 3:23 AM

[quote] I had been debating the two shots. CVC charges $234 each. Yikes! But after seeing that pix, I’m going tomorrow

Most health insurance plans cover it at 100% as it is considered routine preventative treatment. Even at $468 it’s worth not having to go through it. Sometimes it can last up to several months. My next door neighbor took 4 1/2 months to get over it.

by Anonymousreply 62October 10, 2021 3:26 AM

[quote] First shot was painless with no side affects. Second one hurt for three days and I felt mildly like crap for 24 hours. But glad I did it.

Same here. After the second shot, felt kinda crappy so just took the day of work and lounged around watching movies.

by Anonymousreply 63October 10, 2021 3:30 AM

R25 is right. The previous shingles vaccine used to be a one-shot.

The new shingles vaccine is a two-shot spaced six months apart. If you previously had the one-shot, you still can and should get the newer two-shot vaccine. It doesn't do you any harm. The two-shot is more effective and good for life.

by Anonymousreply 64October 10, 2021 3:39 AM

My friend (47 yr old female) got shingles from the shingles vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 65October 10, 2021 3:41 AM

I got both shots at CVS and paid cash. Sore arm the next day, that was it.

by Anonymousreply 66October 10, 2021 3:50 AM

I'm very open to correction but I've read the old one shot vaccine had less than a 50% effectiveness rate but that two shot Shingrex vaccine is around 98% successful.

Am I talking out of my drunk Saturday night ass and should go to bed?

by Anonymousreply 67October 10, 2021 3:53 AM

I had the 2-shot shingles vaccine. I get every vaccine I can. Fuck people who don’t.

by Anonymousreply 68October 10, 2021 3:55 AM

[quote] Zostavax (the old vaccine now recalled) is a live vaccine given as a single injection, usually in the upper arm. Shingrix (the current vaccine) is a nonliving vaccine made of a virus component. It's given in two doses, with two to six months between doses.

by Anonymousreply 69October 10, 2021 4:12 AM

R65. fake news.

by Anonymousreply 70October 10, 2021 4:13 AM

r70 Not fake news douchebag

by Anonymousreply 71October 10, 2021 4:15 AM

Well as I posted above, the old vaccine did have a live virus. I suppose it is possible that in rare cases it could haev happened.

But the new one is not live so that possibility is now gone.

by Anonymousreply 72October 10, 2021 4:25 AM

So is the old one shot vaccine really that ineffective compared to the new one? Has it really been discontinued?

by Anonymousreply 73October 10, 2021 4:25 AM

R73, yes, it was taken off market.

you cannot get shingles from the shingles vaccine dumb ass @ R71

Shingrix is 97% effective at preventing shingles in adults aged 50 to 69 years old. so if you are unlucky, you may still get it.

by Anonymousreply 74October 10, 2021 4:29 AM

Shinglesh.

by Anonymousreply 75October 10, 2021 4:35 AM

When I was researching the shingles vaccine in the summer of 2019 the old vaccine was still being administered and I read the remaining batches had an expiration date in November 2019 which meant it was possible it was still being administered and that was allowed. When I went to Kaiser the old vaccine was still valid and so I asked Kaiser and they said no they had been using the new one, Shingrix.

by Anonymousreply 76October 10, 2021 4:40 AM

The Americans and their many diseases.

by Anonymousreply 77October 10, 2021 4:54 AM

Absolutely get the vaccine. I have cheap health insurance and it was free, and I got it at my local drug store. I've known 3 people who have suffered with shingles and each one begged me to take the vaccine. Any minor inconvenience is nothing. The unbelievable pain, sores and grief of shingles is a nightmare. Get vaxxed as soon as possible. YOU DO NOT WANT SHINGLES.

by Anonymousreply 78October 10, 2021 5:02 AM

Yes I got ut as soon as I turned 50.

by Anonymousreply 79October 10, 2021 5:05 AM

[quote] One of my friends said his doctor sort of scoffed at him getting the shingles shot. WTF?

I just had a friend say the same thing. I think these anti-vaxxers hear what they want to hear.

by Anonymousreply 80October 10, 2021 6:09 AM

R67 said that the Shingrix shots are 98% effective but r74 said they are only 97% effective.

Well, which is it? I don't want to waste my money, damn it.

by Anonymousreply 81October 10, 2021 6:28 AM

They are where my mom lives R52, for some reason the doctor doesn't give a lot of vaccines, so I have to take her to the pharmacy. The doctor did do the COVID vaccine for free, tho.

by Anonymousreply 82October 10, 2021 6:41 AM

CORRECTION: That was summer of 2020 not summer of 2019. And I got my first Shingrix Nov 2020 and my second this past May 2021.

ANNOUNCEMENT: I have somehow lost a fucking year. No idea where I put it. If you see it, please send it along back to me. TIA.

by Anonymousreply 83October 10, 2021 6:49 AM

It's ok R83. I relate! Thanks for the laugh.

by Anonymousreply 84October 10, 2021 7:26 AM

What's a year among friends?

by Anonymousreply 85October 10, 2021 7:29 AM

I stopped being a pothead in the 1980s because I realized I was starting to forget certain things, like 1978, 1979, 1980....

by Anonymousreply 86October 10, 2021 7:33 AM

I'm gonna do my own research.

My cousin's friend's balls blew up.

by Anonymousreply 87October 10, 2021 7:39 AM

I'm 56 and got my first dose on Wednesday. My arm has been sore for the past few days (still a little tender) and I felt a little blah that evening. The pharmacist said to return in two months for the second dose.

I had a small outbreak of shingles in my mid-20s. A patch about the size of a quarter came up on my shoulder blade. Treated it with Valtrex and it kept it from spreading. But to this day I'll sometimes feel a sharp pain in that spot, especially when I'm stressed or tired.

by Anonymousreply 88October 10, 2021 8:14 AM

I got the Shingrix vaccine earlier this year. First dose, my arm was sore and tender for several days and my arm was bright red near the injection site (looked like it was sunburned) for about four days. Second dose, I felt like I had the flu for about two days and then felt extra tired for a day after that.

Insurance completely covered both shots.

Very grateful I got it because a few months later, my life was super stressful. It might have triggered a shingles outbreak without the vaccine. Short term discomfort was more than worth not getting shingles. My best friend and my aunt both had shingles several years ago and were in agony for months.

by Anonymousreply 89October 10, 2021 10:18 AM

While this looks like an interesting thread, I’ve got to block it. I don’t want to see that nasty ass picture: OP would’ve done just as well showing a nurse injecting a needle into a patient’s arm.

by Anonymousreply 90October 10, 2021 10:59 AM

50 here and I had my first jab at Costco (in conjunction with the flu shot in the other arm) last week. I had flu like symptoms for about 24 hours and soreness around the injection site for several days.

by Anonymousreply 91October 10, 2021 12:55 PM

OP, the best way to avoid seeing pictures is to uncheck the "show link previews" box in your "settings". Too bad you won't see this post, now that you've blocked this thread.

by Anonymousreply 92October 10, 2021 12:55 PM

ER RN here. Have had patients come back to ED after initial outbreak with what will most likely be long term chronic pain at site. Chicken pox virus lies dormant in a nerve root and with Shingles, follows that nerve path. My mother had a large trail of sores from mid back, under her arm to her chest. Super painful. Some kids will get just a few spots with Chicken pox and others are covered. Same with Shingles. Get the shots. You don't know which expression you'll have.

by Anonymousreply 93October 10, 2021 3:11 PM

R93, I never had Chicken pox. should I get the chicken pox vaccine? how effective is that?

by Anonymousreply 94October 10, 2021 3:16 PM

Most doctor's offices do not have the shingles vaccine. You have to go to a pharmacy, and a lot of private insurances in America don't cover it, it can run you $200 or so. I'm not sure about Medicare.

Whatever, it's worth it. You do NOT, repeat NOT want shingles.

by Anonymousreply 95October 10, 2021 3:25 PM

[quote] I never had Chickenpox. should I get the chickenpox vaccine? how effective is that?

R94, According to John Hopkins:

If you've never had chicken pox, no. If you did not get chicken pox as a child, don't get either vaccinations, it is likely that you are immune to the disease. It's very rare to give an adult the vaccine for chicken pox. Adults do not do well with childhood vaccinations because they can end up with complications.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96October 10, 2021 4:21 PM

R96 that link seem out of date and possibly referring to the original vaccine because it references "live" virus and 50% effectiveness rate.

I have the same question: What if you don't remember ever getting the chicken pox but also may have gotten the chicken pox vaccine but don't remember? should you get the Shingrix vaccine?

by Anonymousreply 97October 10, 2021 4:34 PM

More up to date info from CDC on Shingrix but this is a bit confusing

Under WHO SHOUDL GET IT: [quote]You can get Shingrix whether or not you remember having had chickenpox in the past. Studies show that more than 99% of Americans 40 years and older have had chickenpox, even if they don’t remember having the disease.

But then under who should NOT GET IT:

[quote] tested negative for immunity to varicella zoster virus. If you test negative, you should get chickenpox vaccine.

It sounds like if you really don't know if you had chickenpox you should get the antibody test first?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98October 10, 2021 4:50 PM

R97, you can get a blood test to find out if you ever had chicken pox.

by Anonymousreply 99October 10, 2021 5:33 PM

One of my cousins (he had shingles in college) never had the chickenpox - he got the varicella vaccine as a baby.

So you can get shingles even if you got the chickenpox vaccine and not actual chickenpox.

by Anonymousreply 100October 10, 2021 10:24 PM

I plan to get it but I want to get my flu shot in the next week and my Pfizer booster in early November when I am due, so I'd like to space it a bit and maybe get Shingrix in early December.

by Anonymousreply 101October 10, 2021 10:27 PM

SHRIEK! SHRIIIIEEEKKKKKK! I can't cope with reality! Hide the OP picture! Waaaah!

by Anonymousreply 102October 10, 2021 10:29 PM

I got the shingles two-shot shingles vaccine a couple of years ago spaced six months apart as recommended by my doctor. However, I have seen several responses on this thread agreeing with me stating the shots are six months apart, but there are other responses saying that it's two shots spaced two months apart.

Why the difference in the interval time period regarding the same shingles vaccine?

by Anonymousreply 103October 10, 2021 11:16 PM

[quote] you can get a blood test to find out if you ever had chicken pox.

They don't do that. They just give you the shots. I asked specifically about that.

The outer limit is 6 months apart for best effectiveness. No later than 6 months. You have to wait some time after the initial one - unsure how long - but you don't have to wait 6 months or even 4 or 5 IIRC.

There is no reason you can't get the flu and shingrix shot the same time. I think I got those together or some combo - last year I got flu & pneumonia first visit then Tdap & Shingrix 2d visit two weeks later. Plus skin tag burned off back by Dr. and full blood work and stool sample for cancer collected at home submitted. Sorry TMI. That was a busy day and it took no time at all. Very efficient. Waked home in perfect fall weather.

You should try to get good sleep the week before any vaccine shot - sleep is important for your immune system and it is ideal to have your immune system in good working order when you get a vaccine shot. Sadly when I learned that all I could think of was if I was getting enough sleep which caused me not to get sleep. LOL

by Anonymousreply 104October 10, 2021 11:53 PM

I'm aware of Shingles obviously, but I've never seen an actual breakout until now. Apparently, they're really as bad as reported. Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 105October 10, 2021 11:59 PM

I got my first Shingrix shot in Oct. 2020. Second shot in Feb. 2021.

When I went to pick up prescriptions at the pharmacy in Feb., the pharmacist said it was time for the second shot. So, I got it right then.

Within about 45 minutes, I could feel my body reacting to the shot. So, I went to the grocery store and stocked up on things, prepared to stay home for the next two days. By time I got home, about 3 hours after getting the shot, I had a the chills. Went to bed right away and spent the next two days feeling like I had the flu, complete with at 101 degree fever.

Luckily, the pharmacist had warned me I would likely have a strong reaction to the second shot, based on the fact that my arm had been so sore and had turned red after the first shot.

by Anonymousreply 106October 11, 2021 12:58 AM

R103 That’s a good question, so I checked out the clinical trials at clinicaltrials.gov. There are 26 completed Shingrix trials. Most used the 2-month gap, and other studies had 1, 2, 3, and/or 6 month gaps. One trial compared 1, 2, and 6 months and found 2 and 6 months to be comparable. Hence the CDC recommendation of 2 to 6 months. A general characteristic of vaccine responses is that a longer gap between shots gives more durable immunity, so that may be why the general recommendation is 6 months.

With COVID-19, there was too much of an emergency to wait for long gaps between shots in the initial clinical trials. The AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine gap was 4 weeks in the early trials, and subsequently, 12 weeks was found to be better. Then the UK government pushed it longer to give as many people as possible their first shot, based on no specific data but on the general principle I stated above about longer gaps. It turned out OK as the longer gap did not diminish the response compared with a 12 week gap.

by Anonymousreply 107October 11, 2021 1:02 AM

Does anyone know why you are supposed to be 50 or older to get the vaccine? Plenty of younger get people get shingles too.

by Anonymousreply 108October 11, 2021 1:07 AM

This thread is greyed out now.

by Anonymousreply 109October 11, 2021 1:08 AM

I'm glad it's greyed out because although this is a useful topic that people should know about, that picture was disgusting. (And I've had shingles.)

(To answer R108, shingles is much more serious and painful in older people, although I don't see why younger people shouldn't get the vaccine too.)

by Anonymousreply 110October 11, 2021 1:35 AM

I hope all of the fucking MARYS! that couldn't handle what a bad case of shingles looks like and so they F&F'd the thread, all get a bad case of shingles. That photo for some people might have prompted to get the vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 111October 11, 2021 1:38 AM

R110 I actually thought the original photo was smallpox rather than shingles, but either way, it’s a terrible disease and worth whatever short-term side effects some people get from vaccination.

Some of the clinical trials I summarized in R107 enrolled subjects as low as age 50, so maybe the goal is to successively seek approval for lower and lower ages.

by Anonymousreply 112October 11, 2021 2:02 AM

I had the Shingrix vaccine last year. The second shot was the one that gave me side effects. It wasn't anything intolerable, but I felt nauseated for about a week afterward.

I also had a mild, brief bout of shingles in my 20s, like a couple of others above. It came up as two quarter-size outbreaks in different places on my body, and I had no idea what it was until I went to a dermatologist. He took about a nanosecond to diagnose it and put me on Valtrex, which took care of it quickly. No aftereffects except a white scar (I'm white, so it really didn't show) on my inner thigh that's faded away over the years. I knew an old lady who got shingles, though, and severe pain lingered for her for well over a year. Maybe even multiple years--I can't remember.

by Anonymousreply 113October 11, 2021 2:21 AM

[quote]They don't do that. They just give you the shots. I asked specifically about that.

What if you get Shingrix vaccine and you never had chicken pox?

by Anonymousreply 114October 11, 2021 3:26 AM

R114 I know this article has been posted before, but this excerpt seems to address your question. You can still get the vaccine if you never had chicken pox, or if you did have it:

"You can get Shingrix whether or not you remember having had chickenpox in the past. Studies show that more than 99% of Americans 40 years and older have had chickenpox, even if they don’t remember having the disease.'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115October 11, 2021 3:58 AM

R155 I agree. Everyone should get Shingrix. But that doesn't answer the question R114 poses.

Does anything happen to your body if you never had chicken pox different than if you had the pox? Does it work more effectively, less effectively, are there side effects one should be looking for. For instance, have they been taking stats of those who did not have c pox? How can they even know unless they test you for the antibodies? Or don't they bother because it doesn't hurt you one way or the other?

I would think in trials they would have tested participants for antibodies and would know how it affects both groups.

by Anonymousreply 116October 11, 2021 4:47 AM

Not that this is of any interest to anyone, but I got the first Shingles shot first thing this morning after seeing that photo last night. I know, MARY! Note, I tried to use the Good Rx “coupon” and neither CVS or Walgreens would honor it. So full $203.

by Anonymousreply 117October 11, 2021 6:49 PM

You did the right thing. It's well worth it.

by Anonymousreply 118October 11, 2021 6:51 PM

Sigh. I'm too young to get the shingles vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 119October 11, 2021 11:07 PM

Thanks R116 that's exactly what I'm trying to understand

by Anonymousreply 120October 12, 2021 12:32 AM

R92 thanks for the settings tip. Trolls post disgusting things you can’t unsee sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 121October 12, 2021 2:33 AM

I got my second dose this morning. A wave of fatigue hit me about four hours later, followed by a mild headache, low-grade fever, slight muscle and joint aches, and a couple episodes of chills — pretty much the exact same reaction I had to the second dose of the Pfizer Covid vaccine. I felt fine the next day after Pfizer, so we’ll see if that pattern holds.

by Anonymousreply 122October 12, 2021 2:47 AM

Holy hell. I got my first dose this morning then went to work. In the early afternoon I felt a headache coming on. Then I remembered the shot. Now, some ten hours later, my arm is sore as fuck. I’ll still get dose #2 in December. But I never have a sore arm after a shot.

by Anonymousreply 123October 13, 2021 2:38 AM

Be sure to move your arm around, bend and straighten, etc.

by Anonymousreply 124October 13, 2021 5:51 PM

No reaction to the Pfizer COVID vaccine, but yeah w/ Shingrix I had a fever for a day after both shots. I had shingles when I was 29 or so, and it's fucking miserable.

by Anonymousreply 125October 13, 2021 5:54 PM

I got both shots a couple of years ago. Felt *exhausted* the following day both times and took several naps. Felt perfectly fine after 36 hours. You do NOT want shingles -- get the damn shots.

by Anonymousreply 126October 13, 2021 6:00 PM

The pharmacist at Walgreens with whom I spoke recently said he recommends against doing the Shingrix shot with other vaccines in case of side effects.

If you've never had chickenpox at all, without a vaccination, there's a different vaccine for that! Shingrex is only for folks who've had chickenpox already

I had no reaction to either Pfizer shot. Planning on Shingrex #1 tomorrow with nothing much planned for a couple if days in case I feel lousy.

by Anonymousreply 127October 13, 2021 8:01 PM

R127, good luck.

by Anonymousreply 128October 13, 2021 9:25 PM

[quote] Shingrex is only for folks who've had chickenpox already

Most people have no idea if they had it or not. That's why they recommend everyone get it - especially if you're over 50 - the stats for those over 50 who have had it are astronomical.

by Anonymousreply 129October 13, 2021 9:48 PM

As a lot of armchair epidemiologists are leaning from COVID, having the vaccine doesn't mean you are 100% protected. It does mean that if you get shingles, it'll be less intense than it would have been otherwise.

I had the old shot (Zostavax?). Had to pay for it out of pocket. My GP said that once you hit 50, you should get the vaccine. A few years later, I got shingles. though I didn't know it at the time. A few blisters and intense pain/itch. It lasted for MONTHS. I went back (new GP) and was told "yeah, that vax didn't work as well as the new one". So I got the double shot. Thankfully, I had health insurance to cover these ones. Since then, the remaining nerve pain from the "old" infection still flares up from time to time. I can't imagine what full on shingles is like.

by Anonymousreply 130October 14, 2021 2:06 PM

everyone I know has had a terrible reaction - I'm more scared of it than the booster

by Anonymousreply 131October 14, 2021 2:10 PM

Why is this seemingly innocuous and helpful thread greyed out?

by Anonymousreply 132October 14, 2021 2:41 PM

R131, you don't know me but I had no reaction to Shingrex (2 shots) or its predecessor (1 shot). So take comfort that there's at least one person in my category and get Shingrex ASAP -- shingles sounds worse than the possible (but not inevitable) side effects of the shot.

by Anonymousreply 133October 14, 2021 2:48 PM

R131: I met a woman last night who told me she had no problem with the shingles, or covid, injections; instead she had a reaction to the flu shot!

by Anonymousreply 134October 14, 2021 5:00 PM

I would say my reaction was about the same for both Shingles vaccine as it was for the COVID shot. Sore arm, a little tired. No big deal. That said, everyone is different - and may react differently this year than last.

by Anonymousreply 135October 14, 2021 5:38 PM

Had my shot two hours ago... so far okay.

The pharmacist stressed that reactions to these types of injections are completely different, truly random.

by Anonymousreply 136October 14, 2021 6:12 PM

72 hours later: only reaction was site soreness that's steadily diminishing. Insurance paid 100% with Walgreens stating "You saved $200" on the receipt.

by Anonymousreply 137October 17, 2021 3:07 PM

OP here. Got my first Shingrix shot today. The shot was painless, but the aftereffects are an upper arm that simultaneously aches like hell and feels like it was shot up with novocaine. Very strange. And I rarely have reaction to flu shots, etc.

Still worth it!

by Anonymousreply 138October 20, 2021 5:38 AM

I was telling my mom earlier today that it felt as though instead of catching a baseball that landed in the bleachers, it had smacked me in the upper arm instead. She thought that was a pretty good analogy based on her experience. It's been five days, with the symptoms having disappeared entirely. Glad they have a few months' gap as I'm not up for doing this again soon.

by Anonymousreply 139October 20, 2021 6:05 AM

Had my second shot last month. Had a sore arm for a couple of days, that's it.

by Anonymousreply 140October 20, 2021 11:35 AM

My 64 year old sister just got the first of the 2 shingles shots and said it made her feel worse than when she had covid. She's reluctant to get the second shot.

She got it the same time as the flu vaccine, so maybe that was a factor.

by Anonymousreply 141October 20, 2021 11:46 AM

[quote]It’s very painful. Stress can bring it on.

Just smoke copious amounts of pot, silly!

by Anonymousreply 142October 20, 2021 11:51 AM

Interesting, R141. Almost exactly 24 hours after I had the flu shot, I started feeling draggy for the rest of the second day. When I got up on day three I was fine. A woman with whom I had talked the evening before getting my single shot told me that between shingles, covid, and flu shots, the last one knocked her out while the first two weren't particularly bad.

by Anonymousreply 143October 20, 2021 12:19 PM

What a bunch of crybabies. Get the shots. You'll regret you didn't if you get shingles. THEN you'll have something to cry about.

by Anonymousreply 144October 20, 2021 4:20 PM

You [italic]absolutely, postively[/italic] do [bold] NOT[/bold] want an outbreak anywhere near your eyes!

by Anonymousreply 145October 20, 2021 5:01 PM

R141

"She got it the same time as the flu vaccine, so maybe that was a factor."

Ya think?

by Anonymousreply 146October 21, 2021 3:06 PM

Singrik

by Anonymousreply 147October 21, 2021 3:35 PM

I got my first shingles shot yesterday, along with Tdap, different arms. The nurse said the shingles shot hurts far worse, so she gave it on the left. Fast forward 24 hrs, my shingles arm barely hurts but the other one is super sore. 12 hrs after the shot I had 100.4, then this morning I had 102. I admit I’m feeling lousy, cold, chills, shakes, upset stomach, but I’m usually sensitive to vaccines. I go back in 2.5 months for shot 2 & am so glad I’m getting them. We know someone who lost an eye to shingles, & know several who’ve had lesser side effects but said it was super, super painful. I have Kaiser & shots are free here.

by Anonymousreply 148February 6, 2022 8:21 PM

Shingles is a cruel reminder that some toxin - chicken pox in this case - NEVER ever leaves one’s body, once we have it. It’s always there, waiting to strike when our immune system is down and out.

There’s a metaphor for life’s inescapable hardship in there somewhere, but I’m too tired to work it out.

by Anonymousreply 149February 6, 2022 9:00 PM

R149 Chicken pox and shingles are caused by a virus, not a toxin. The virus can become latent in the nervous system, and then can become active again and cause shingles.

by Anonymousreply 150February 7, 2022 9:31 AM

Yes, I should have been more precise in my language.

What I meant was this fucker: varicella-zoster virus, the ‘legacy’ left behind by chicken pox. Truly a gift that keeps on giving

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151February 7, 2022 10:07 AM

OP again. I got my second dose this afternoon and already am feeling "flu-y," with muscle aches, sweating and fatigue. Think I'll go to bed early.

by Anonymousreply 152April 20, 2022 1:21 AM

I got my first dose yesterday. Did it sting for anyone else? I'm usually great with shots, barely even feel them. This one was different and I'm still sore today. However, there are no other side effects.

by Anonymousreply 153May 12, 2022 1:05 PM

I knew a woman who got shingles. It is *not* just an itchy rash. It DESTROYED the nerves of her legs and she spent the (short) rest of her life in a wheelchair. GET THE SHOTS. Simple.

by Anonymousreply 154May 12, 2022 1:16 PM

Partner had shingles in his 40s, got the one-shot vaccine years later and had shingles again a couple years later, with permanent bad effects (post-herpetic pain that has been excruciating at times for over 10 years).

He took the first dose of the two-shorter. He was sick for four days and hasn't gotten the second shot because it was so bad.

I assume he has an unusual susceptibility. His doctor shrugged.

by Anonymousreply 155May 12, 2022 1:24 PM

If we'd only approved the chicken pox vaccine in the 1970s like Japan...

by Anonymousreply 156May 12, 2022 2:07 PM

People born in the last two decades are very unlikely to get shingles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157May 12, 2022 2:19 PM

The Shingrix vaccine has a very strong adjuvant that’s a molecule found in certain bacteria. Your immune system may respond to the vaccine as if you have a serious bacterial infection that needs to be stopped. As far as I know, Shingrix is the only vaccine that has this adjuvant.

by Anonymousreply 158May 12, 2022 8:33 PM

The first shot gave me a fever so I took Tylenol and went to bed. Felt fine the next day. Second shot no side effects at all.

by Anonymousreply 159May 12, 2022 8:40 PM

Sorry for the bump, but I didn’t see any other threads.

I am getting my first Shingrex shot tomorrow afternoon. Figured I’d get it so I’d have Saturday and Sunday to recover if there are any side effects. I’m 53. I’m a little worried because I’ve heard some horror stories from friends about side effects, but most people I know say they were mostly fine.

A coworker who is still in his 40s had Shingles a year or so ago, and I swear he’s still out of it. He is almost like a different person. He also says no one will give him the vax until he turns 50, which seems crazy to me.

by Anonymousreply 160April 13, 2023 10:18 PM

r160, I am getting my second one tomorrow (after being reminded because if a bumped thread here) and am dreading it because I had a rotten reaction to the first one. I do know several people who had no reaction to either so maybe you will be lucky! But, good reasoning on the scheduling (same reasoning I had).

by Anonymousreply 161April 13, 2023 10:57 PM

I had strong reactions to both doses when got my Shingrix shots two years ago.

First shot, my arm was super sore and tender for 4 days after shot. My arm turned bright red, like sunburned red, for about 12 inches beneath the injection site for about 4 days. I felt tired and run down like I had the flu for about 2 days. Then it all got better.

Second shot, I could feel myself getting sick within an hour of getting the shot. Within 3-4 hours, I was shivering so bad I couldn't hold a pen in my hand. I went bed and alternated between chills and fever for day. I spend two days in bed, mostly sleeping. On the third day, I was up and doing some things at home, but tired easily. Arm was sore and tender, especially at the injection site the whole time. Then it all got better.

by Anonymousreply 162April 13, 2023 11:16 PM

Reactions ... a full-blown Shingles attack would be far worse, especially near the eyes.

by Anonymousreply 163April 13, 2023 11:21 PM

Thread bumper here. Three days later, and still feeling crappy. No fever or chills, but still a massive headache and fatigue. Bit better today but calling in sick to hopefully continue to rest and let this pass out of me!

by Anonymousreply 164April 17, 2023 11:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!