Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The national hysteria over Bob Saget's death

I'd never even heard of this man until last week. Of course I'd heard of Full House, but never watched it when it was on.

He doesn't seem like that much of a public figure to me. Is it just because of the circumstances of his death that he is getting so much attention? It was probably a suicide, a lot of people go to luxury hotels to do that so their body doesn't decompose for days at their personal home for days before it is found.

Can someone explain why this is getting so much attention?

by Anonymousreply 427January 29, 2022 7:10 AM

Because people need a distraction from Covid

by Anonymousreply 1January 11, 2022 12:31 AM

No. I don't understand it myself. He seemed like a nice guy, but he wasn't funny. At all. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 2January 11, 2022 12:32 AM

The generation that grew up with the internet is the generation that grew up with Saget. He is a well known personality to people who are online all the time. And honestly, Full House has a huge international following. It was on 24/7 when I lived in Japan in the 90s. I always hated it and I always hated Bob Saget.

by Anonymousreply 3January 11, 2022 12:33 AM

It's a rare instance where multiple generations can remember/recognize him from TV not that long ago ('90s).

by Anonymousreply 4January 11, 2022 12:33 AM

Since I live an hour away from Orlando, I'm really curious how he died.

by Anonymousreply 5January 11, 2022 12:36 AM

He was on one of the most popular syndicated TV shows of the 90’s that launch the era of the TV reboots. He was also on another show, Americas Funniest Home Videos.

As a 34 millennial he was very much apart of my childhood.

by Anonymousreply 6January 11, 2022 12:36 AM

He was everyone’s dad.

by Anonymousreply 7January 11, 2022 12:37 AM

Geez, OP, you need to get out more. He's pretty well known

And calling it "hysterical" is silly. No one is killing themselves over his death

by Anonymousreply 8January 11, 2022 12:37 AM

[quote] No. I don't understand it myself. He seemed like a nice guy, but he wasn't funny. At all. Ever.

Then you have never seen him at a Hollywood Roast or his dirty stand up routine.

by Anonymousreply 9January 11, 2022 12:37 AM

He’s gotten more ink than Betty White. I’m surprised TMZ hasn’t constructed a shrine to him yet. He’s a 3rd rate celeb. Enough already.

by Anonymousreply 10January 11, 2022 12:38 AM

[quote] Of course I'd heard of Full House, but never watched it when it was on.

You didn't miss anything. The show was awful.

by Anonymousreply 11January 11, 2022 12:38 AM

We all want to know if it was autoerotic asphyxiation. I think the old stroke and choke got Danny Tanner, and it would be hilarious that he went out that way.

by Anonymousreply 12January 11, 2022 12:39 AM

He was our dad like how Betty White was our grandma. It’s been really hard losing two family members this week so close together.

by Anonymousreply 13January 11, 2022 12:40 AM

My husband was shocked by it and felt really bad. But:

Bob Saget is Jewish so my husband is more interested in him than non-Jewish famous people.

He’s the same age

His best friend is named Bob, was minorly famous and has a similar tv-radio type voice

His friend Bob is hospitalized in poor health with lots of problems. I think it brought home to him that his best friend might die.

I think a lot of people thought Saget was younger than he actually was because they watched reruns of young Saget many years after his tv shows ended.

The show was “clean” so several generations of kids grew up watching it.

by Anonymousreply 14January 11, 2022 12:41 AM

[quote] "Then you have never seen him at a Hollywood Roast or his dirty stand up routine."

Yes. I did, R9. Nice guy. But the filthy schtick wasn't funny.

by Anonymousreply 15January 11, 2022 12:41 AM

Betty White was funny and lovable. Bob? Not so much.

by Anonymousreply 16January 11, 2022 12:45 AM

I’m 35 and watched Full House after school every day in grade/middle school. Oprah would come on after, which I always watched with my mother. It’s about familiarity, someone whose face and voice was around your home on a regular basis. (The country is going to go into meltdown when, hopefully many years from now, Oprah goes.)

by Anonymousreply 17January 11, 2022 12:47 AM

R14, why is your husband more interested in Jewish actors?

by Anonymousreply 18January 11, 2022 12:47 AM

Wasn't he touring? That's why he was in a hotel.

by Anonymousreply 19January 11, 2022 12:51 AM

Highlights of the Roast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 11, 2022 12:51 AM

r8 it's pretty out there when people keep posting how they've lost their father... while hating their own and erecting his bloating rotting corpse on a cross to lug across multiple platforms

by Anonymousreply 21January 11, 2022 12:52 AM

Interesting. I guess for late boomers, early Xes this would be the equivalent of Robert Reed or Michael Landon dying? I thought Michael Landon was a prick but felt sad when handsome Robert Reed died of the plague. But I was not as invested as people seem to be in Bob Saget.

by Anonymousreply 22January 11, 2022 12:54 AM

I never watched full house, but loved AFHV and thought he was sweet and funny and very handsome. Then I saw his stand up act, and he was so hatefully homophobic, it turned me off. Also if you watch In Bed with Joan - his episode - he starts right off with an awkward and uncomfortable ant-gay line.......oh well -

by Anonymousreply 23January 11, 2022 12:55 AM

Full House was a HUGE hit, especially with 90s and late 80s kids. But, the main difference is yes, everyone loved Betty White but she was 99 years old. People didn't want her to die but most people expected it would happen sooner rather than later. Saget was 65 with no known medical conditions, so it was shocking. It also makes those of us who grew up with Full House to contemplate that if it can happen to him it could happen to our parents.

He was an interesting guy, very much unlike his tv persona. His non-tv comedy was really raunchy. Yet, he seemed like a good guy. Full House is one of those rare shows where the cast actually liked each other and stayed friends. I wonder if Netflix will do some sort of Full House/Fuller House special in memory of him.

by Anonymousreply 24January 11, 2022 12:57 AM

[quote] I wonder if Netflix will do some sort of Full House/Fuller House special in memory of him.

They better not! I would rather Danny Tanner have lived on in Fuller House than for them to have a special where they kill him off to honor him.

by Anonymousreply 25January 11, 2022 1:01 AM

Betty deserved more than a long weekend

by Anonymousreply 26January 11, 2022 1:03 AM

Agree OP. Insane we have created this culture of celebrity worship. Where the death of an actor in a mediocre sitcom gets national attention - bigger news than all the other issues we face. The opiate of the people is no longer religion - it’s celebrity worship.

by Anonymousreply 27January 11, 2022 1:04 AM

R27: From the little I know about Saget he would probably agree with you.

by Anonymousreply 28January 11, 2022 1:06 AM

It does seem a little over the top for an old D lister at best. Gen X here and never saw one episode of the show. Too many kids.

by Anonymousreply 29January 11, 2022 1:08 AM

OP never heard of Oprah either.

by Anonymousreply 30January 11, 2022 1:09 AM

What national hysteria?

by Anonymousreply 31January 11, 2022 1:09 AM

[quote] Bob Saget is Jewish so my husband is more interested in him than non-Jewish famous people.

Your husband is a weirdo.

by Anonymousreply 32January 11, 2022 1:10 AM

R27 I’m afraid you’re like 100 years late.

People get upset about people or things they recognize.

There was probably some horrific bombing that happened somewhere in the world this week. Do you give a fuck?

by Anonymousreply 33January 11, 2022 1:13 AM

He was relatively young to die and not known to be ill. It’s not surprising his death is attracting attention.

by Anonymousreply 34January 11, 2022 1:14 AM

He apparently was a nice guy and very charitable and made a point of letting everyone know that he thought the crappy shows that made him rich were terrible. He was also moderately funny and shed his older wife with a minimum of bad press. He was not known publicly as a racist, sexual harasser, drug addict or drunk. In Hollywood, that makes him a hero.

I almost forgot: The shitty show he did with the Olson twins was a generational touchstone. I never watched it.

by Anonymousreply 35January 11, 2022 1:23 AM

[quote]The national hysteria over Bob Saget's death

If you'd seen the size of his dick, you wouldn't be minimizing this!

by Anonymousreply 36January 11, 2022 1:25 AM

He's getting attention because he was a down to earth nice guy. I've said it before here to deaf ears that some terrible actors sometimes get constant work simply because they're nice to be around and in film, a lot more time is spent waiting for things to happen than actually shooting a film. I'm not saying he was a bad actor because I also didn't care for full house but this is the reason people are talking about him.

by Anonymousreply 37January 11, 2022 1:26 AM

I’ve never heard of someone, so he doesn’t matter.

by Anonymousreply 38January 11, 2022 1:27 AM

Bob wasn't famous in Wuhan, OP? I thought the shithole Chinese loved those stupid funniest videos.

by Anonymousreply 39January 11, 2022 1:29 AM

You think there’s national hysteria with this nothing comic. Wait till Oprah goes toes up. The country will shut down. Wailing like a horny Tom cat.

by Anonymousreply 40January 11, 2022 1:29 AM

I totally forgot he was also host to yet another show I never cared to watch, America's Funniest HV.

by Anonymousreply 41January 11, 2022 1:30 AM

I was shocked that the lead story on Morning Joe today was the death of Bob Saget.

by Anonymousreply 42January 11, 2022 1:34 AM

Even when I was young that show was sickeningly saccharine. And I never enjoyed his standup because he always chuckled at his own jokes.

by Anonymousreply 43January 11, 2022 1:35 AM

OP's favorite tv show:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44January 11, 2022 1:37 AM

R29 Younger end of Gen X here. I grew up watching TGIF on ABC. We didn’t have cable and all of the shows on that block (Full House, Family Matters, Perfect Strangers, etc) were considered funny and, more importantly, clean by my immigrant parents, so it was prime family TV watching time for us. Those shows were also broadcast in the old country, so when we went to visit Grandma, we’d watch the shows there and show off our English by translating for the family, much to their delight. It’s not that Bob Saget was a superstar—he was familiar and a source of nostalgia. Plus his sudden, unexpected death is jarring and will bring an outpouring of reactions.

by Anonymousreply 45January 11, 2022 1:40 AM

There were rumors of him and a doll. Didn't he wrire about it?

by Anonymousreply 46January 11, 2022 1:42 AM

Unlike others I only know him from the Home Videos show. But watching it was the defining event of my youth.

by Anonymousreply 47January 11, 2022 1:42 AM

[quote] Even when I was young that show was sickeningly saccharine.

And the show kept pushing the fake news that the Olsen twins -- and everything they did -- was 'cute.' They were not cute! They were the oddest-looking little things ever.

by Anonymousreply 48January 11, 2022 1:42 AM

It collectively seems like an outpouring of hysteria, but it’s really just a ton of people stopping for 5 seconds to say, hey, that’s too bad via social media, and then going back about their day.

by Anonymousreply 49January 11, 2022 1:43 AM

Bob Saget was a big deal with younger Gen Xers and older Millennials. America's Funniest Home Videos and Full House were a big deal in the late 80s/early 90s. If you're older you wouldn't really know who Bob Saget was.

by Anonymousreply 50January 11, 2022 1:46 AM

A few years ago he was the emcee for the annual gala of the non-profit I was chairman of. He did a great job, was very funny and a really great guy. During the auction section of the night he jumped in and goaded people into bidding on items and raised a shit load of money for us.

by Anonymousreply 51January 11, 2022 1:48 AM

R48. I agree. They looked fetal.

by Anonymousreply 52January 11, 2022 1:49 AM

R50, what do I, a boomer, know about Bob Saget even though I never watched his shitty TV show? He was Jewish, from the Philadelphia area, had a sister with scleroderma, did a Lifetime movie about it starring Dana Delaney whom he dated/had an affair with, made a point of telling audience he was not the characterr he played on that kiddie show,, worked dirty, told the filthiest version of the joke in the Aristocraats, remarried someone much younger and blonde, and did a lot of podcasts. He also emceed Anerica's funniest videos, which had some kind of shitty canned laughtrack. He was rumored to have a big dick.

So that's what I know about Saget off the top of my head. Now tell me all you know about Fred MacMurray or Ozzie Nelson, the TV fathers to a generation of boomers. No fair looking at Wikipedia.

by Anonymousreply 53January 11, 2022 1:58 AM

Christ, Boomers are so humorless and touchy. Was Ozzie Nelson the one who jerked off to hookers taking a shit on a glass table?

by Anonymousreply 54January 11, 2022 2:01 AM

Everyone knows who Fred MacMurray is. They just did a bio pic of him that Rami won an Oscar for.

by Anonymousreply 55January 11, 2022 2:02 AM

R45, what country are you from?

by Anonymousreply 56January 11, 2022 2:03 AM

He was a good actor. He replaced on Broadway in The Drowsy Chaperone and gave a lovely performance, not like his TV or standup persona at all.

by Anonymousreply 57January 11, 2022 2:07 AM

I find that syndicated reruns that aired immediately after kids come home from school make a very deep impression. Leaving school is a big relief every day. You get away from teachers, tests, most of your peer pressure.

Getting off the school bus is an added relief. Kids are still prone to being bullied/pranked on the bus. Getting off the bus lets a kid revert back to default.

Go into the house - safety.

Grab a snack - satisfying

Turn in tv to a show that’s on every single day - comforting routine.

Knowing what s/he is going to watch is predictable is even more comforting. Every day Dad will help solve a problem and give a hug; Greg will tease Marsha but ultimately support her; the castaways’ rescue will be thwarted but they will tell Gillian they still love him. The characters ultimately help each other and things are ok. And characters feel like friends. An only child feels less alone watching a family help each other or a close group of friends band together.

TV shows that come on after school have a big effect on kids’ feelings of comfort & safety.

by Anonymousreply 58January 11, 2022 2:10 AM

I watched Dark Shadows every day after school, R58. Hmmm...

by Anonymousreply 59January 11, 2022 2:15 AM

Good point R58. I think I’m just a few years too old based on R50 - i was in college late 80s/early 90s so never watched Full House. Was only vaguely aware of it due to Olsen twins. Scarily similar knowledge to R53 - I need to stop getting all my info from this site.

by Anonymousreply 60January 11, 2022 2:18 AM

How are you people forgetting that he hosted America's Funniest Home Videos??

Saget is probably more known for AFHV than Full House.

Middle America loved that shitty ass show!!!

by Anonymousreply 61January 11, 2022 2:19 AM

Hardly national hysteria, OP. You seem very strange.

He was a popular star of a show that was as meaningful for those 25-40 as someone like Elizabeth Montgomery was for generations before - e.g. warm childhood memories.

He was also, by all accounts, a very nice guy. A rarity in show business, and so many actors/comedians etc. are speaking up.

But it's not like all flags are at half staff. Shush.

by Anonymousreply 62January 11, 2022 2:20 AM

THIS IS OUR JOHN LENNONPRINCESS DIANA MOMENT!

by Anonymousreply 63January 11, 2022 2:21 AM

[quote] He was rumored to have a big dick

If he dated/fucked Dana Delany that's a given. Sister Dana is a size queen.

by Anonymousreply 64January 11, 2022 2:21 AM

R54 No, you moron, that was Danny Thomas, chief fundraiser for St. Jude Children's Hospital and father of Marlo.

by Anonymousreply 65January 11, 2022 2:21 AM

Fred MacMurray was that Senator in the 50s who hated communists.

by Anonymousreply 66January 11, 2022 2:22 AM

"Father of Marlo!" Oh, that will really get the younger Xers and Millennials to know who Danny Thomas was! They all LOVE Marlo Thomas!

by Anonymousreply 67January 11, 2022 2:24 AM

Is he a lesbian???

by Anonymousreply 68January 11, 2022 2:25 AM

[quote] He was a popular star of a show that was as meaningful for those 25-40

25-40 is Millennials only. He was popular with a lot more Gen Xers.

by Anonymousreply 69January 11, 2022 2:27 AM

I’m guessing accidental mixing of meds or something.

by Anonymousreply 70January 11, 2022 2:32 AM

Later Gen Xers were also kids in the late 80s and early 90s and watched Full House and AFHV.

AFHV was a hokey show, but you have to remember it came at a time when home video cameras first became commonplace with a huge number of Americans so it was quite new and novel back then.

by Anonymousreply 71January 11, 2022 2:34 AM

I watched a little of the roast...it wasn't funny and it was too on; Stamos calling him lucky...

he was lucky; Full House was boring family fare and I gather most of us on DL weren't watching it as we were in our late 20s and 30s agonizing over being gay during that time.

He lucked out doing AFV; I preferred Tom Bergeron on the show.

Btw, if Stamos played his brother in law on FULL HOUSE, and Saget was dark-haired where they'd get those light-haired colored kids?

Btw,

by Anonymousreply 72January 11, 2022 2:34 AM

A few years ago Bob Saget did a stand-up special called "From Zero To Sixty" (free link below) that was very funny. His stand-up was raunchy and very adult humor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73January 11, 2022 2:36 AM

Honestly, R71, some of us Xers who were in the age demo to watch the show thought it was tacky as hell.

by Anonymousreply 74January 11, 2022 2:37 AM

[quote]Btw, if Stamos played his brother in law on FULL HOUSE, and Saget was dark-haired where they'd get those light-haired colored kids?

It was just assumed his dead wife was blonde. We never saw a photo of her or any flashback scenes with her.

by Anonymousreply 75January 11, 2022 2:37 AM

r74 I'm a younger Xer and I watched the show with my Boomer parents. I thought it was pretty lame but we all watched tv together.

As a matter of fact, most tv shows were pretty lame and cheesy during that time period.

by Anonymousreply 76January 11, 2022 2:38 AM

[Quote]the Olsen twins -- They were not cute! They were the oddest-looking little things ever.

This.

by Anonymousreply 77January 11, 2022 2:40 AM

[quote] Btw, if Stamos played his brother in law on FULL HOUSE, and Saget was dark-haired where they'd get those light-haired colored kids?

Human trafficking!

by Anonymousreply 78January 11, 2022 2:40 AM

The twins reminded me of Gollum.

by Anonymousreply 79January 11, 2022 2:41 AM

Well, if St. Jude Children's Hospital and its endless solicitations doesn't cause the brains of posters to register a flicker, there's nothing I can do.

Do not underestimate the intelligence of boomers. We consider it normal to know about things that happened centuries before our birth and decades after.

It gives me no joy to note that the crappy education many millennials received was the brainchile of boomers who wanted a very different kind of experience for their childen. It was designed to enhance self esteem, present learning as fun, and facilitate working in small groups rather than as individuals.

by Anonymousreply 80January 11, 2022 2:47 AM

brainchild. brainchiile is pretty cute, tho.

by Anonymousreply 81January 11, 2022 2:48 AM

There was one episode that showed the mother and she was blonde. She did not look Greek unlike her brother Jesse Katsopolis.

In the pilot episode Rhoda Gemignani(Italian) played Jesse’s mother. In the first few episodes, Jesse’s last name is Cochran. They changed it to Katsopolis because John Stamos wanted to embrace his Greek heritage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82January 11, 2022 2:48 AM

He was a crap comedian, and a show host . No big deal AT ALL

by Anonymousreply 83January 11, 2022 2:48 AM

Yeah, I’m also a younger GenXer and thought FH was awful, but my little nieces and nephews and everyone would watch it together on Fridays.

I am a little surprised about the celebrity response, he resonated and was more of a Hollywood player than I realized. On a personal level, everyone I know was shocked that he died. He really wasn’t old and he looked pretty good for 65. I remember watching a TV movie way back he produced about his sister’s battle with scleroderma, whichI I had never heard of before then.

by Anonymousreply 84January 11, 2022 2:51 AM

I once read an article a few years ago about that blonde child phenomenon on shows where neither parent is blonde. The only show I remember them mentioning was Everyone Loves Raymond. I suppose it could happen, but all 3 kids were super blonde.

by Anonymousreply 85January 11, 2022 2:54 AM

Some kids are super blond when young though, even those with dark haired parents. I had white blond hair till I was school aged when I went more ginger.

by Anonymousreply 86January 11, 2022 2:56 AM

Leave Bob Alone Please! Leave Bob Saget alone! Right now! I mean it!

Anyone that has a problem with her you deal with me, because she is not well right now.

LEAVE HER ALONE!

by Anonymousreply 87January 11, 2022 3:02 AM

r80 is too senile to recognize when people are fucking with him.

by Anonymousreply 88January 11, 2022 3:05 AM

Lower IQ, mass media devouring types are all instagramming their tv screens watching the Full House theme song these few days. Typical.

by Anonymousreply 89January 11, 2022 3:10 AM

r89 is so above it all!

by Anonymousreply 90January 11, 2022 3:11 AM

What national hysteria are you talking about? Many people are saddened because it followed a chain other deaths like Betty White and Sidney Poitier. The build up and timing is what mattered. Most people aren't losing their minds and breaking down in tears though. He was a sitcom star and stand-up not John Lennon or Kurt Cobain. So I'm not seeing this supposed hysteria

by Anonymousreply 91January 11, 2022 3:19 AM

I saw him perform live at a comedy club in Marin County before his career took off. He was very funny.

by Anonymousreply 92January 11, 2022 3:21 AM

R85 Ray Romano is very Sicilian looking. He's brown skinned with jet black hair. Yet his kids were WASPy too. I think TV casting agents are just lazy and not aiming at all for realism. Blond hair and pale skin is stereotyped with cuteness and youth. There were some Black sitcoms where they cast biracial actresses as daughters of two darker skinned parents for similar associations.

by Anonymousreply 93January 11, 2022 3:24 AM

This thread reminds me that a huge chunk of DL'ers are really unloved, unfuckable messes.

by Anonymousreply 94January 11, 2022 3:31 AM

An alarming number don't seem to speak to relatives anymore and hate Christmas. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 95January 11, 2022 3:33 AM

[quote] Everyone knows who Fred MacMurray is. They just did a bio pic of him that Rami won an Oscar for.

Oh my god, the biggest cackle I gave DRWE reading this comment. This is why I love Datalounge!

by Anonymousreply 96January 11, 2022 3:48 AM

Sorry, I don't know what DRWE is and how that appeared in my comment. I guess I was laughing too hard to proofread my comment before posting it.

by Anonymousreply 97January 11, 2022 3:49 AM

[quote] the Olsen twins -- They were not cute! They were the oddest-looking little things ever.

One of my good friends always used to call them "those two little monkeys."

Rofl!

You got it, dude!

by Anonymousreply 98January 11, 2022 3:55 AM

He was our dad. We are grieving. We are in mourning.

Good night, Dad.

by Anonymousreply 99January 11, 2022 4:01 AM

Why didn’t he host a show called America’s Filthiest Home Videos?

by Anonymousreply 100January 11, 2022 4:02 AM

If you’re not partial to Full House you may prefer Bob Saget’s work in 2005’s the Aristocrats.

by Anonymousreply 101January 11, 2022 4:03 AM

Any verificatia of the size- piece?

by Anonymousreply 102January 11, 2022 4:07 AM

[quote] Blond hair and pale skin is stereotyped with cuteness and youth.

The irony being that some of these shows chose the homeliest little blondes they could find.

by Anonymousreply 103January 11, 2022 4:14 AM

I am a 66 year old female and I never heard of Saget until yesterday. I had heard of Full House but never watched it. I do have some knowledge of the Olsen twins and have seen some of their movies.

Also when Kurt Cobain died I had never heard of him either.

I knew about Betty White but never watched any of her shows.

by Anonymousreply 104January 11, 2022 4:14 AM

Bob Saget wasn't even remotely funny on TV. That's the joke! I bet Bob found it absolutely hilarious too. OP sounds like an idiot who probably hasn't heard of a lot of things.

by Anonymousreply 105January 11, 2022 4:20 AM

Dude was a notorious coke fiend back in the 80s and 90s, so I'm sure that weakened his system. It will be interesting to see what the autopsy finds.

by Anonymousreply 106January 11, 2022 4:21 AM

That’s how I felt about the death of Betty White. I mean maybe it was before my time but why the hysteria?

by Anonymousreply 107January 11, 2022 4:25 AM

r95 that is a constant pattern you see with posters here. It's amazing how many are estranged from their families.

by Anonymousreply 108January 11, 2022 4:26 AM

R107, Betty White was the last surviving cast member of two iconic shows. She was nearly 100 and spanned multiple generations. I don’t get the surprise there.

by Anonymousreply 109January 11, 2022 4:28 AM

I think the coverage is more that there are more news outlets than actual news…they are desperate to fill airtime.

by Anonymousreply 110January 11, 2022 4:33 AM

DL is outraged because Saget's death got more attention than Sondheim's.

by Anonymousreply 111January 11, 2022 4:42 AM

Useless drug addicted hack finally gone.

by Anonymousreply 112January 11, 2022 5:33 AM

I don't see any national hysteria. He's getting the same reaction others have gotten. Bob Saget was HUGE on NETWORK television in the 90s. You couldn't escape him and he had TWO television shows every week. Then they brought back Fuller House, did that Roast, and he was in the public coconsciousness all over again. I know the queens on here don't care about anyone other than some fag hag, but there are other celebrities out there people liked for whatever reason.

by Anonymousreply 113January 11, 2022 5:39 AM

He was an icon for the Millennials, and his death was unexpected.

by Anonymousreply 114January 11, 2022 5:44 AM

In Florence, Italy, a woman leapt from the Duomo clutching his picture and cursing the Olsen twins' names.

by Anonymousreply 115January 11, 2022 5:47 AM

R115 She got both of their names out before hitting the pavement below?

by Anonymousreply 116January 11, 2022 5:52 AM

On twitter I’m surprised by the heartfelt outpouring of emotion from fellow comedians. Everybody has a warm fuzzy story about him.

by Anonymousreply 117January 11, 2022 7:41 AM

R117 some people are nice

by Anonymousreply 118January 11, 2022 7:42 AM

Horrible actor, but nice guy, and I totally would have banged him circa Full House.

He wasn't gay,I wasn't legal, and we had multiple states between us.

Missed opportunity.

RIP Bob.

by Anonymousreply 119January 11, 2022 7:46 AM

OP, you type poverty-level Eastern European. Never heard of him until last week?!

by Anonymousreply 120January 11, 2022 7:48 AM

What state did you live in?

by Anonymousreply 121January 11, 2022 7:48 AM

Paparazzi are camped outside his house taking pictures of family and friends. Gross.

by Anonymousreply 122January 11, 2022 7:57 AM

Wasn’t drugs or foul play so maybe it was a stroke?

by Anonymousreply 123January 11, 2022 8:11 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124January 11, 2022 10:44 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125January 11, 2022 10:44 AM

Yes, he looked good for his age. And I haven't seen any pictures of him graying. Did he dye his hair or it's possible it's his natural color?

by Anonymousreply 126January 11, 2022 11:37 AM

[QUOTE] Interesting. I guess for late boomers, early Xes this would be the equivalent of Robert Reed or Michael Landon dying?

Uh, no, where are you getting that? Did you just pull that out of your ass. Both of those groups were WAY too old for "Full house" by the time it debuted on TV. Maybe the youngest Xers or oldest Millenials would be into it.

by Anonymousreply 127January 11, 2022 11:49 AM

R127, learn to read.

by Anonymousreply 128January 11, 2022 11:53 AM

That's what I was thinking R123. Or a heart attack. People are saying "oh he was so young"...he was 65, that's not so young.

by Anonymousreply 129January 11, 2022 11:53 AM

I imagine those with awful home life or raised in conservative circles really loved Full House, Leave it to Beaver, The Brady Bunch, Disney moveis etc. They were successful for a reason. It makes sense some would get emotionally charged if they built a parasocial relationship with the characters. As alien as it may seem to others (including myself). So Saget was important to a lot of people and a surrogate father figure. Blame the tons of awful parents in real life who can't be role models for their children rather than mock people who are emotionally affected by this.

by Anonymousreply 130January 11, 2022 11:59 AM

He was America's dad but he hated the gays. That pains me.

by Anonymousreply 131January 11, 2022 12:02 PM

Over the course of his long television career, I have probably seen him on screen less than three minutes.

So, no, I don't give a shit about this guy.

by Anonymousreply 132January 11, 2022 12:03 PM

I was raised by a single mother and my father was basically a deadbeat and I still don't understand how someone can become so attached to a TV character to the point where the character becomes a surrogate parent. I understand fleeting thoughts like wishing your parents/mother/father was as cool or as indulgent as a TV parent, but I can't understand the extreme emotional attachment.

by Anonymousreply 133January 11, 2022 12:07 PM

Growing Pains is forgotten but Alan Thicke voiced his support for gays and bashed his TV son Kirk Cameron for his homophobia. I'm sure Alan was kind to gayling Leonardo DiCaprio as the usually aloof Leo actually made a public statement after Thicke's death.

by Anonymousreply 134January 11, 2022 12:07 PM

He was the Conrad Bain of our generation!!!

by Anonymousreply 135January 11, 2022 12:12 PM

R133 I agree. I didn't have the best family dynamic either. I never saw these sitcoms as something to envy nor wanted a surrogate parent from them. I was more into cartoons and wanted to be a Power Ranger or a cowboy. Any death is sad to me but I don't get extremely attached to TV actors. I was mostly shocked and affected by the deaths of Bowie, Prince and George Michael because I am way more into music than TV and music was my form of escape.

by Anonymousreply 136January 11, 2022 12:13 PM

But Alan Thicke's son made rapey music R134. So that cancels out anything good Robin did.

by Anonymousreply 137January 11, 2022 12:14 PM

I would not blame Alan for what his grown 35-year-old son did. Robin started out as a typical blue-eyed soul singer and then hopped on the hip-hop sexual sound to be relevant. I'm less offended by the lyrics than I am by the sampling of Marvin Gaye, a superior and more sensual artist.

by Anonymousreply 138January 11, 2022 12:19 PM

He had BDF for miles. Another dominant top has died.

by Anonymousreply 139January 11, 2022 12:19 PM

Covid problems?

by Anonymousreply 140January 11, 2022 12:26 PM

Why couldn't it have been Kathy Griffin?

by Anonymousreply 141January 11, 2022 12:32 PM

R141 = Andy Cohen

by Anonymousreply 142January 11, 2022 12:34 PM

If you had never heard of Bob Saget, that says a lot about how out of touch and abnormal you are, OP.

by Anonymousreply 143January 11, 2022 12:37 PM

Not really R143. Its like someone saying a person is out of touch because they don't know That's Incredible! stars John Davidson or Fran Tarkenton. Saget was about the same speed.

by Anonymousreply 144January 11, 2022 1:22 PM

OP I can't talk while I am gnashing my teeth and rending my garments!

by Anonymousreply 145January 11, 2022 1:24 PM

He was "America's Dad" to a generation (not mine). That Full House show ran for like nine years, then came back several years ago on Netflix and squeezed out another four seasons He also died relatively young and totally unexpectedly while he was touring. So yeah, it's getting attention.

Betty was beloved but she was nearly 100, so even her most devoted fans knew it was coming any day.

by Anonymousreply 146January 11, 2022 1:28 PM

R144, not even. Bob Saget’s cultural relevance spans decades and generations . Even Zoomers know who he is. I don’t know the people you referred to.

by Anonymousreply 147January 11, 2022 1:33 PM

[quote]I guess for late boomers, early Xes this would be the equivalent of Robert Reed or Michael Landon dying?

Millennials too, since "Full House" was on constant reruns for years. When I was teaching at a junior high school in the early 2000s, the 7th grade girls were still into "Full House" which surprised me, because it had been on when I was a teenager and I thought of it as an old show. They didn't think of it that way at all, and often watched the Olsen twins' movies as well, which were new at the time.

by Anonymousreply 148January 11, 2022 1:33 PM

Was Full House even a good show, though? It strikes me as even less entertaining than Gimme a Break! Unless you are just watching for Stamos and Saget eye candy?

by Anonymousreply 149January 11, 2022 1:35 PM

I guess it just shows how bad millenial taste is/was R149. They actually thought this was good TV.

by Anonymousreply 150January 11, 2022 1:36 PM

R149 Of course it wasn't good. That's completely irrelevant. As The Brady Bunch was to Gen X, so Full House was to Millennials.

by Anonymousreply 151January 11, 2022 1:42 PM

Good or not, it resonated with the masses

by Anonymousreply 152January 11, 2022 1:42 PM

OP, how old are you? He's huge with millennials. He had not one but two hit tv shows aimed at families (and young kids) in the 90s. This demographic is now prime for advertisers, hence the recent 90s and now 2000s nostalgia wave. Sagat died at the peak of this.

I'm 50 and I find most current pop culture completely baffling, but I realize I'm aged out of the demographic that the culture reveres. Bob Sagat is a cheesy comedian from shows I never watched that aired in my 20s. But to someone 10-15 years younger, he's a major figure.

by Anonymousreply 153January 11, 2022 1:44 PM

so, I'm guessing there's a market for a Bob Saget blow up doll. I wonder if ali already has one made by now.

by Anonymousreply 154January 11, 2022 1:45 PM

No hysteria. Everyone is just waiting for things to start tumbling out of his closet, like how he was in Jeffrey Epstein's little black book

by Anonymousreply 155January 11, 2022 1:49 PM

[quote] Since I live an hour away from Orlando, I'm really curious how he died.

What an odd thing to say. Are you worried there is something in the air down there?

by Anonymousreply 156January 11, 2022 1:50 PM

[quote]They actually thought this was good TV.

They were kids. Lighten up.

The hatred for millennials here is so played out. Tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 157January 11, 2022 1:53 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158January 11, 2022 1:54 PM

[quote]I imagine those with awful home life or raised in conservative circles really loved Full House, Leave it to Beaver, The Brady Bunch, Disney moveis etc.

These were popular, mainstream shows.

Where were you raised? By whom? What media did you consume? Such an oddball take. Disney movies indicate "an awful home life?" Popular sitcoms are signs one was raised in "conservative circles?" Are you from Mars?

by Anonymousreply 159January 11, 2022 1:57 PM

There is something terribly depressing about one of your childhood idols dying and then even worse dying before their time alone in a hotel room. I felt the same way when Whitney Houston died. It doesnt even closely equate to the impact of tge death of a close family member or friend, but it still feels sad.

by Anonymousreply 160January 11, 2022 2:16 PM

[quote] When I was teaching at a junior high school in the early 2000s, the 7th grade girls were still into "Full House"

They were probably the demographic that was weaned on those Mary-Kate/Ashley franchise films. Somehow those terrible films, plus assorted merchandise, earned them hundreds of millions of dollars. They were set for life by age 20.

by Anonymousreply 161January 11, 2022 4:42 PM

R161 I hate them, I hate them!

by Anonymousreply 162January 11, 2022 5:03 PM

I never watched Full House, but I loved Saget's directing of "Dirty Work." RIP Norm MacDonald. There is a giant dichotomy between his TV dad personality and his real personality.

I met Saget once through a group of friends at Sundance. He made a somewhat benign slight to me on the street to my friend which I always chalked up to his offbeat sense of humor but he could have just been an asshole like that.

Then again, maybe he was right. My hometown got criticized for planning Betty's White's tribute on MLK day (also her 100th birthday).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163January 11, 2022 5:18 PM

I don't think it's grief so much as anticipatory excitement about his cause of death. You're not too young to die when you're old enough to collect Medicare. I remember the grief over the deaths of John Lennon and Princess Diana, who were really too young to die, died in ways that were truly horrific, and, whether or not you thought they were good people, had at least made an effort to do something positive with their lives.

by Anonymousreply 164January 11, 2022 5:22 PM

He was 65 but you know, he really looked 45.

by Anonymousreply 165January 11, 2022 5:31 PM

R38 there are sooo many posters like this on DL. They’ll even try and rebut you based upon absolutely nothing. It’s funny and sad at the same time how ignorant and bold people are.

by Anonymousreply 166January 11, 2022 5:46 PM

[quote] That’s how I felt about the death of Betty White. I mean maybe it was before my time but why the hysteria?

BettyWhite practically invented TV. At least in LA., she did. She was on tv in the 1940s. I had no idea she’d had a tv show that was 4 hours long. She was one of the first female producers in television, she worked with everyone. All those tv writers, directors and producers in 1950s. I asked my mother “why is she famous?” when she appeared on game shows & Johnny Carson. She said, “I don’t know.” That’s because we were on the east coast & Betty was a west coast celebrity on local LA TV. She was relentless. She went out & grabbed every & any job she could get.

Game shows were extremely popular in 1960s/70s and Betty did all the celebrity guest shots. Allen Ludden was popular within show business & tv watchers liked him a lot, so it was noteworthy when they married. She was over 50 when she got a job as a regular on Mary Tyler Moore’s show. That was kind of astounding in those days, as actresses older than 50 were ending their careers. Golden Girls was a groundbreaking show starring older women as the main cast.

There were lots of actors who had longe4 careers than Betty, but they didn’t regularly appear before cameras later in their careers while Betty did.

People felt they knew Betty White and from what I hear, she was always kind to fans. And she slagged off Facebook. Good for her.

by Anonymousreply 167January 11, 2022 6:02 PM

I am so sick of celebrity worship in the US. These tv and movie stars spend their lives contributing pretty much nothing to society and yet their deaths are treated somehow as a tragic loss to the world

Meanwhile research scientists and inspiring teachers and others who’ve done extraordinary things with their lives and have given back everything they could die anonymously.

Our country sucks.

by Anonymousreply 168January 11, 2022 6:26 PM

Nerdy Bob Saget was also one of those egotistical jerks who traded in his first wife and children for a younger model.

by Anonymousreply 169January 11, 2022 7:24 PM

What a fuckhead, R169.

by Anonymousreply 170January 11, 2022 7:28 PM

R41 - years ago my cousins were visiting my mom and dad, wanting to watch Funniest HV. My mother mentions to this day what agonizing tedium that show was for her and my father.

by Anonymousreply 171January 11, 2022 7:29 PM

Full House is like The Brady Bunch or Scooby-Doo. It's a franchise that survived very long as a cultural memory thanks to all the endless reruns during the daytime or primetime when kids and families are home. Cable TV networks reran the hell of the show too. Mary-Kate and Ashley were a huge brand in the 90s and 2000s with tons of merchandise, direct to video movies and a bunch failed teen shows which contributed greatly to Full House maintaining it's relevance.

by Anonymousreply 172January 11, 2022 7:30 PM

R169 he met his second wife 15 years after his divorce

by Anonymousreply 173January 11, 2022 7:36 PM

I didn’t own a television when Sagat was most popular but years later I caught him on the Comedy Central roasts and was very funny.

by Anonymousreply 174January 11, 2022 7:48 PM

R162, poor Jodie! I always thought she was the only tolerable one amongst the three daughters.

by Anonymousreply 175January 11, 2022 7:53 PM

Even though Bob never accepted Jesus Christ and of course he won't be in Heaven, I'm still upset over his passing.

by Anonymousreply 176January 11, 2022 7:55 PM

R173, he didn't marry the one he left wife #1 for. In fact, she may have left him.

by Anonymousreply 177January 11, 2022 8:53 PM

[quote] [R8] it's pretty out there when people keep posting how they've lost their father... while hating their own

And you can’t see ANY connection between these reactions?🤔

[quote] Meanwhile research scientists and inspiring teachers and others who’ve done extraordinary things with their lives and have given back everything they could die anonymously. Our country sucks.

As a teacher, i assure you: no one enters the profession expecting fame, so dying anonymously is fine. I’d be shocked to end any other way.

by Anonymousreply 178January 11, 2022 8:55 PM

Any updates? Was he found in a diaper with poppers, rack of flashing strobes?

by Anonymousreply 179January 11, 2022 9:36 PM

How many cheap whores were in the room with him?

by Anonymousreply 180January 11, 2022 9:49 PM

If I had to guess, it was probably a heart attack. Food Network aired an episode yesterday of Beat Bobby Flay with him as one of the judges. He had clearly put on a lot of weight. It was especially noticeable when he started walking around to talk to the contestants. His stomach was huge.

by Anonymousreply 181January 11, 2022 10:18 PM

But he's been a fatso for a looooong time, R181.

by Anonymousreply 182January 11, 2022 10:27 PM

It's been widely reported. There's no "hysteria."

by Anonymousreply 183January 11, 2022 10:32 PM

I'm waiting for all the papers to say: Bob was found in the nude.

by Anonymousreply 184January 12, 2022 2:15 AM

What is that nude reference from?

by Anonymousreply 185January 12, 2022 2:22 AM

All the papers said it, R185.

by Anonymousreply 186January 12, 2022 2:23 AM

He lived his life like a CANDLE IN THE WIND, R185.

by Anonymousreply 187January 12, 2022 2:51 AM

No OP I'm just as amazed as you!

by Anonymousreply 188January 12, 2022 3:03 AM

I'm not much for public declarations of grief on social media but Candace's post was really nice. I 'm actually quite touched. I know, MARY!

by Anonymousreply 189January 12, 2022 3:15 AM

I had heard of this guy but I had never seen anything that he did. Never watched any tv show he was on, never watched him doing stand up or anything. What was the big deal about him, anyway?

by Anonymousreply 190January 12, 2022 3:20 AM

He had two hit TV shows that you never watched, R190.

Why are people posting like they have no concept of what a celebrity is? Are only the people that you like personally worthy of public attention? Do you imagine the entire world shares the same likes and dislikes as a jaded, middle-aged queen from the mid-west?

by Anonymousreply 191January 12, 2022 3:24 AM

[quote] ... a constant pattern you see with posters here. It's amazing how many are estranged from their families.

R108, it's hardly "amazing" that a lot of gay men are estranged from their families. It seemed to be the norm when I was a teenager in the '60s and homosexual conduct was a crime in most states -- not surprising if a gay man's family seriously disapproved of him, maybe to the point of banishment. Even today, when public attitudes seem to be much more benign, old grievances aren't magically healed on either side.

by Anonymousreply 192January 12, 2022 3:25 AM

[quote] Are only the people that you like personally worthy of public attention?

No, R191. But I am sorry to see that Sidney Poitier's death hasn't received the same amount of attention.

by Anonymousreply 193January 12, 2022 3:30 AM

That’s because no one knows who she is. Everyone knows Bob.

by Anonymousreply 194January 12, 2022 3:34 AM

r192 I know a lot of middle-aged gay men who are fine with their families. DL does seem to have a disproportionate number of gay men who are totally estranged from their families. Not just parents (if still alive) but siblings as well.

by Anonymousreply 195January 12, 2022 3:38 AM

[quote]But I am sorry to see that Sidney Poitier's death hasn't received the same amount of attention.

Poitier is before the time of Gen X and Millennials.

by Anonymousreply 196January 12, 2022 3:39 AM

[quote]I find that syndicated reruns that aired immediately after kids come home from school make a very deep impression. Leaving school is a big relief every day. You get away from teachers, tests, most of your peer pressure.

When I was a kid I don't remember any syndicated reruns on TV but I'm a boomer. I think we usually went out and played, but there were a lot of local cartoon shows every late afternoon, with Mighty Mouse, Hercules, Bugs and Daffy, etc. And game shows like To Tell The Truth. No sitcoms at all.

Having said that of course I know who Bob Saget was, I don't live under a rock.

by Anonymousreply 197January 12, 2022 3:43 AM

Sidney and Betty were much more important artistically and culturally especially Sidney. But they lived full lives. I think in the case of Bob, it was his relatively young age and the location of his death that is shocking.

by Anonymousreply 198January 12, 2022 3:43 AM

I'm amazed at the over-reaction to celebrity deaths these days - like David Bowie or Prince, for ex. There weren't these kinds of reactions to Marilyn Monroe or Judy Garland, or other stars of that generation. People freak out today and take to the streets like they're personally affected and it's a tragedy. That wasn't usually true of earlier generations.

by Anonymousreply 199January 12, 2022 3:49 AM

False. The deaths of James Dean, John Lennon, Elvis, Kurt Cobain and others caused a lot of public grief and extreme fans went hysterical. The generations prior were just as emotional and connected to celebrities as this current one. Hollywood was built on appealing to the emotions of the masses for profit. The difficulty is we have social media and see more things than we did in the past.

by Anonymousreply 200January 12, 2022 3:52 AM

*the difference

by Anonymousreply 201January 12, 2022 3:52 AM

R200 Exactly, I'm sure there are a few on here who remember the hysteria when Rudolph Valentino died.

by Anonymousreply 202January 12, 2022 3:58 AM

Rudolph Valentino's death caused many of his fangirls to commit suicide. And this was in the 1920s. People get attached to anyone even if they don't know them. Celebrities are usually chosen by companies to have that type of charming appeal that makes people obsessed with him. The audience develops a feeling of knowing that person. It's called parasocial relationships. The industry nurtures it because it's profitable.

by Anonymousreply 203January 12, 2022 4:00 AM

[quote]But I am sorry to see that Sidney Poitier's death hasn't received the same amount of attention.

Well okay, but Sidney Poitier's death wasn't a tragedy. He was almost 95. I honestly forgot he was still alive. His heyday was many decades ago so his fan base is quite old as well. Although clearly a more advanced artist with greater accomplishments, Poitier's death just doesn't have the same cultural resonance in 2022 as a beloved sitcom dad from 25 years ago with an army of nostalgic fans in their 30s..

by Anonymousreply 204January 12, 2022 4:01 AM

R202 If they remembered that they'd have to be around100 years old, or older.

James Dean's death caused a lot of teen seances or whatever but there weren't mass demonstrations with thousands of people out on the streets, like for some of these rock stars. It's not the same. The other people that were mentioned were more like deaths in the "modern" era. Cobain was in the mid-90s.

by Anonymousreply 205January 12, 2022 4:05 AM

I was in high school when Cobain died and his death had a huge impact on my generation, as did River Phoenix's death a few months previously. Of course, our Boomer parents barely knew who either of them were so they didn't really understand.

by Anonymousreply 206January 12, 2022 4:10 AM

R206 That's what I'm saying. No celebrity deaths had a huge impact on my parents' generation. (Depression-WWII era.) The deaths that had an impact on their generation were FDR, JFK, RFK and MLK. Not singers and actors. I think it would be hard for them to understand why younger generations considered performers that important.

by Anonymousreply 207January 12, 2022 4:20 AM

R207 The climate was different in the 1960s because of the massive social movements and politicians were more highly regarded because they were more efficient back then. Celebrities back then were also heavily in those movements. Americans lost faith in politics and became apolitical due to cynicism thanks in part by Nixon and Reagan.

by Anonymousreply 208January 12, 2022 4:30 AM

R181 - on the CNN website, it said, after an autopsy was performed, that

[quote] “The cause and manner of death are pending further studies and investigation which may take up to 10-12 weeks to complete”

Correct me if I’m wrong, but to me that implies they’re waiting on the toxicology report. 😬

by Anonymousreply 209January 12, 2022 4:43 AM

I'm not much interested in Bob Saget. But I think most of the coverage is from his standup friends and showbiz colleagues. Guy seems to have been world class as a filthy funny and sweet, caring man. The same words are used over and over. So it doesn't interest me. Kimmel was crying, again. But even Chelsea Handler posted that he was the sweetest man she ever met in her "comedy" career. He was obviously a mensch. Cuz he didn't fuck Chelsea Handler. She wouldn't have THAT guy. Yuk.

Because I don't care and am 27 years younger than Saget - I haven't read this thread. But try this sometime. Read the first 5 posts on a thread and then skip down to the last few. WOW.

We are tangential creatures who must always come back to our own points of reference. Gays are shallow as fuck.People talking about the death of Kurt Cobain, James Dean and Rudolpho Valentine! Hilarious.

I've cried over a few celebrity deaths. I won't say who. We love who we love. Bob Saget was clearly loved by the people in his industry. There was no reason to be devastated that Betty White or Sidney Poitier died. You're just grieving for your old selves.

by Anonymousreply 210January 12, 2022 4:51 AM

[quote] He had two hit TV shows that you never watched.

From what I know about them I didn't miss a thing.

by Anonymousreply 211January 12, 2022 4:58 AM

I guess some people who watched reruns of Full House and think we're too old to have seen it, forget some of us watched it when it was on once a week in prime time.

[quote]The climate was different in the 1960s because of the massive social movements and politicians were more highly regarded because they were more efficient back then. Celebrities back then were also heavily in those movements. Americans lost faith in politics and became apolitical due to cynicism thanks in part by Nixon and Reagan.

That's true, but what's also true is that back then (and earlier, when my folks mourned FDR) we weren't a nation or a world where media and entertainment took precedence over everything. It's all just way more pervasive now and people almost worship rock stars or other entertainment icons the way people never did with Bing Crosby or whoever their idols were. Plus I think people's priorities were more geared to substative things like world events and political leaders, they tended to put entertainers on a lower rung.

by Anonymousreply 212January 12, 2022 5:57 AM

*substantive

by Anonymousreply 213January 12, 2022 5:58 AM

Hysteria - genuine hysteria - over the deaths of popular actors is not remotely a new thing. As others have stated, nearly 100 years ago female fans of Valentino were so distraught they actually killed themselves, and his funeral turned into a mob scene. The reaction to Saget's death seems small potatoes in that context.

by Anonymousreply 214January 12, 2022 7:46 AM

[quote]The generation that grew up with the internet is the generation that grew up with Saget. He is a well known personality to people who are online all the time.

This is the correct answer. It's mostly millennials (90s kids specifically) that are upset because this man was a huge part of most of our childhoods. Plain and simple.

I guarantee if the internet was as mainstream as it is now when Showgirls came out, you'd have a bunch of us in hysterics crying about never being able to watch Saved By The Bell the same way ever again.

by Anonymousreply 215January 12, 2022 9:37 AM

And for the record, my aunt and her friends cried actual tears when River Phoenix died. My grandmother cried when Princess Diana died. I remember not understanding as much because I was just a kid and didn't follow either individual's careers/lives as closely.

On the other hand, I freaked out when Aaliyah died. I really think it depends on the generation and what each public figure represented at whatever stage of your youth that you were at when they were alive.

by Anonymousreply 216January 12, 2022 9:43 AM

I’m sure Saget was a really nice guy, but he creeped me out. In fact, every episode and every character of Full House creeped me out as kid. I’m 31 and it was on after school every day so got a few years of exposure, and always felt unsettled. Am I crazy or did they have a like a near life size statue in the background of their living room set that looked like a traditional hobo or maybe Charlie Chaplin type outfit? I’d like to see the show remastered. No scenes or dialogue cut, but a tone change with dark moody music. It would match my perception better and would be less creepy for me. I understand that Saget was an edgy comedian and. thought the show was ridiculous but did it for a paycheck (who wouldn’t?) and would appreciate that.

by Anonymousreply 217January 12, 2022 11:53 AM

It pains me to know some gays are mourning this homophobe. The same ones will be very broken up when Andrew Dice Clay is dead to us, no doubt.

by Anonymousreply 218January 12, 2022 12:00 PM

Saget's death and the popularity of its news is a metaphor for the culture of this country. The silly TV daddy of the 90s invents and promotes silly and humiliating videos as mass entertainment. The American Way: nothingness is everything.

by Anonymousreply 219January 12, 2022 12:11 PM

Gotta love DL, where people in their 60s marvel that people in their 30s don't react to things the way their dead parents did 60 years ago.

Maybe look around and notice that the world changes?

by Anonymousreply 220January 12, 2022 12:36 PM

r220 that pretty much sums it up. We've discussed frequently how DL eldergays are in a weird time warp and know nothing about anything that happened after the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 221January 12, 2022 2:58 PM

[quote] No celebrity deaths had a huge impact on my parents' generation. (Depression-WWII era.) The deaths that had an impact on their generation were FDR, JFK, RFK and MLK.

That's not entirely true. James Dean's death was a major event, and who has forgotten "The Day The Music Died?" That plane crash still reverberates through pop culture. As does the Patsy Cline plane crash. Also, Hank Williams death was a huge event.

by Anonymousreply 222January 12, 2022 4:30 PM

Okay, so now the conspiracy machine's spreading rumors that Saget and Betty White died as a result of getting Covid boosters, and that there is in fact an epidemic of healthy young people are secretly dropping dead from getting Covid vaccines.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223January 12, 2022 4:47 PM

The Olsen Twins killed him.

by Anonymousreply 224January 12, 2022 4:50 PM

The Olsen Twins killed Heath Ledger too. RIP

by Anonymousreply 225January 12, 2022 7:54 PM

[quote]Gotta love DL, where people in their 60s marvel that people in their 30s don't react to things the way their dead parents did 60 years ago. Maybe look around and notice that the world changes?

Yeah and you're not interested in how it changes. Someone is trying to tell you about cultural shifts, who actually has observed something of life, over time. And your attitude is, fuck off. Gotta love DL for that, too.

by Anonymousreply 226January 12, 2022 9:55 PM

He was a comical genius!

by Anonymousreply 227January 12, 2022 9:59 PM

R221 Too busy going to theater and movies and museums and parties and galleries and clubs to notice Saget. A lame sitcom is hardly my idea of culture.

by Anonymousreply 228January 12, 2022 10:02 PM

I wouldn't call it hysteria.

by Anonymousreply 229January 12, 2022 10:02 PM

R214 Valentino is one thing, but Saget!

by Anonymousreply 230January 12, 2022 10:04 PM

R200 Saget was known to a limited audience and was never a cultural phenomenon like Elvis and John Lennon!

by Anonymousreply 231January 12, 2022 10:07 PM

[quote] [R221] Too busy going to theater and movies and museums and parties and galleries and clubs to notice Saget. A lame sitcom is hardly my idea of culture.

This is satire, right? I refuse to believe there’s someone who said that with a straight face. Get over your snooty self.

by Anonymousreply 232January 12, 2022 10:12 PM

r228 is of course stuck in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 233January 12, 2022 10:26 PM

Elvis and John Lennon have been dead for over 40 years. Or, as DLers call that, "yesterday."

by Anonymousreply 234January 12, 2022 10:27 PM

My partner and I were in a remote luxury resort in Greece in 2019. An Australian family with two very well behaved daughters about 5 and 6 sat at the table next to us at dinner one night. The daughters asked for salad, octopus, and sea bream for dinner before running down to the beach. The family was clearly very well traveled and wealthy. As soon as dinner came and the children were reseated, they launched into a lengthy discussion of the plots and characters on Full House that lasted the rest of dinner. Apparently this show was universal.

by Anonymousreply 235January 12, 2022 10:31 PM

Well, now that r235 has established that "upper class" children are fans of Full House, this discussion must be over. "Upper class" habits are all DL cares about or deems worthy, after all. Perhaps that family can accompany r228 to his gallery openings!

by Anonymousreply 236January 12, 2022 10:33 PM

r196 Gen X still held connections to the pop culture of past.. through references in modern works, education and personal interest. Six Degrees of Separation... how else would you know why Lulu was so important on AbFab?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237January 12, 2022 10:46 PM

R236 Bob Shagit was a babyshitter for lashkey kidz

by Anonymousreply 238January 12, 2022 11:08 PM

R236 too bad they missed NY back in the day where you might bump into the Ulcer twins when they were hanging around NYU lattes and cigarettes in hand looking like 2 well-dressed racoons.

by Anonymousreply 239January 12, 2022 11:13 PM

Why is Judy Geeson’s pic advertising the “To Sir With Love theme song by Lulu”?

by Anonymousreply 240January 12, 2022 11:15 PM

[quote] how else would you know why Lulu was so important on AbFab?

Lulu was not famous in the US.

by Anonymousreply 241January 12, 2022 11:19 PM

Older people don’t get it. This like when Hugh Beaumont died. It’s a tragedy to people who grew up seeing him as the ultimate tv father.

by Anonymousreply 242January 12, 2022 11:22 PM

r236's scathing rebuke of r235 is why I love DL. Then again, r235 was speaking as if she had pulled up a chair and joined that Australian family's table and I'm here for it! Wheee!

by Anonymousreply 243January 12, 2022 11:22 PM

I do like r235's mention of it being a "luxury" resort with "wealthy and well traveled" people. Very important details - he must let us know that he's not common.

by Anonymousreply 244January 12, 2022 11:27 PM

What I wanna know is, who's gonna pay for all the damages after the Bob Sager riots are over?

by Anonymousreply 245January 13, 2022 12:56 AM

You bitches are getting pretty funny now. Score!

by Anonymousreply 246January 13, 2022 2:04 AM

R221 well there was Tarantino and Basquiat and Mapplethorpe and Neil La Bute . . . And if being in a time warp means not knowing much about Saget or any other lame sitcom then so be it. Talk about a limited purview!

by Anonymousreply 247January 13, 2022 2:23 AM

please get up we luv you bob saget

by Anonymousreply 248January 13, 2022 2:25 AM

r247 speaking of Mapplethorpe, you must've missed the Full House episode where Uncle Jesse had a bullwhip up his ass.

by Anonymousreply 249January 13, 2022 2:57 AM

Tarantino wasn't the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 250January 13, 2022 2:58 AM

R250 It was the statement @ R221 that I was responding to. I may have not seen the sitcom with Saget, but yes, I was still aware of things ' that happened after the 80s' and that would include Tarantino and The Sopranos and Julia Roberts and Tom Cruise . . .

by Anonymousreply 251January 13, 2022 3:09 AM

R249 I missed every episode without regrets.

by Anonymousreply 252January 13, 2022 3:09 AM

OP When Sonny Bono who was a joke for most of his career died, he was treated as if he was Winston Churchill. He was the former Mayor of Palm Springs and was a Republican Congressman in California's 44th district when he collided with a tree while cross country skiing. Similarly, Saget is being referred to by some media outlets as 'legendary' to justify all the time and space devoted to his unexpected death.

by Anonymousreply 253January 13, 2022 3:14 AM

Obviously, Saget meant something to people who were kids in the late 80s and 90s. Of course if you're older you don't get it.

I have never understood why Britney Spears was so famous when she was talentless, but I also recognize that it's not my generation (X) who made her a star. I get it.

by Anonymousreply 254January 13, 2022 3:23 AM

Lots of talentless come people from every generation - or talents whose popularity is difficult to understand. (Billie Eilish) I enjoy old movies, but Joan Crawford was an atrocious actress and frightening looking woman. She performed Jekyll and Hyde contortions just to change her expression. Yet SO many of the elder elder gays think she is a star worth watching? Truth is, she's terrible.

I've never seen Full House. It's before my time. Bob Saget made his name in raunchy inappropriate stand up comedy. Back when that was allowed. So he's cool enough.

by Anonymousreply 255January 13, 2022 3:41 AM

r241 but AbFab was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256January 13, 2022 3:47 AM

R255 but he'll never be mentioned or remembered like Crawford. You mentioned Crawford in you post and she's been dead for over 40 years and her last acting credit is from 50 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 257January 13, 2022 3:56 AM

r255 = ancient white fags troll, who Muriel should fumigate from DL

by Anonymousreply 258January 13, 2022 4:02 AM

R234 and Saget will not be remembered 40 years from now.

by Anonymousreply 259January 13, 2022 4:02 AM

[quote] Joan Crawford was an atrocious actress and frightening looking woman. She performed Jekyll and Hyde contortions just to change her expression. Yet SO many of the elder elder gays think she is a star worth watching? Truth is, she's terrible.

Yeah, she was no Lori Loughlin or Jodi Sweetin! Now THOSE are TALENTS!

by Anonymousreply 260January 13, 2022 4:03 AM

Oh, the ancient white fags are mad now!! They LOVE Joan Crawford. Because they HATE women. That's also why they were once called homosexuals.

by Anonymousreply 261January 13, 2022 4:07 AM

OP it' s an example of nostalgia porn. Taking a bland, cheesy, family-friendly sitcom that sounds like a rip off of the movie Three Men and a Baby that was aimed at a generation of kids whose parents let TV raise their children

by Anonymousreply 262January 13, 2022 4:29 AM

I'm R260 and I don't particularly love Joan Crawford but she was popular and pretty talented, and was in a lot of movies people still watch, not just "ancient white fags" - I don't even know why she was being compared to Bob Saget except to get a rise out of people. But Full House was one of the shit shows of all time, unless I guess you were a little gay boy at the time. I saw it once in a while in my 20s or 30s and it was crap.

by Anonymousreply 263January 13, 2022 4:31 AM

And just why is R258 so upset by opinion? Joan Crawford is my example of a talent that people go nuts about here who is hard for me to understand. Nobody in modern life remembers her. I get that she was a golden age movie star. But she is not held in high esteem and she's more to laugh at than admire. She was a terrible actress with a malformed body. Her movies aren't even good CAMP. But OLD homesexual WHITE men LOVE her. On Datalounge. She's not even a popular meme anywhere else.

Old homosexual white men of Datalounge are not very many people on this earth. Check yourself, R258. You sound insane. You always do. All your accounts. My posts are completely reasonable with on topic opinion. Add style points.✔️

by Anonymousreply 264January 13, 2022 4:35 AM

By the way, Bob Saget's part was nearly played by Tyler Posey's dad, John Posey. He was cast in the pilot and would have been on the show if Saget (the producers' original first choice) had not suddenly become available.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265January 13, 2022 4:39 AM

I know! It's not like he was involved in a bizarre car accident in a tunnel in Paris.

by Anonymousreply 266January 13, 2022 4:40 AM

I could easily name 50 deaths of public figures that struck me as more tragic than this one. I still appreciate that Bob Saget meant a lot to people in the business and to millennials who apparently took his stint as a TV Dad more seriously than he did. I think millennials are mourning the death of childhood as well as of a beloved TV star, and it's fine if they do. Grief doesn't have to make sense or be proportionate.

We should be able to have different reference points without triggering generational warfare.

by Anonymousreply 267January 13, 2022 4:48 AM

[quote]I could easily name 50 deaths of public figures that struck me as more tragic than this one.

So can everybody else. You're not special.

by Anonymousreply 268January 13, 2022 4:54 AM

[quote] I think millennials are mourning the death of childhood

My damn childhood just keeps taking hits, lately. Had to watch this to recover. :(

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269January 13, 2022 4:55 AM

R261=the child of Kneel Patrick Hairass

by Anonymousreply 270January 13, 2022 4:55 AM

Joe Franklin's house looks like a La Quinta Inn in Arizona. What a tacky place.

by Anonymousreply 271January 13, 2022 4:56 AM

r267 so, they'll FINALLY grow up after decades of crying about their childhoods being ruined?

by Anonymousreply 272January 13, 2022 4:59 AM

I don't get the reference to Joe Franklin's house.

by Anonymousreply 273January 13, 2022 5:02 AM

Are you kidding? Full House was wildly popular. It ran for 8 seasons. From season three onwards, Full House was ranked among the Nielsen ratings' Top 30. By season 4, it jumped to the top 20, where it remained until season 7. Both season 5 and 6 even earned the show a spot in the top 10!

But most importantly It ran from 1987 to 1991. It ended 30 years ago. ALL the kids watching the show at that time grew up with him as America's dad and are now middle aged. They are making the decisions in the MSM about what is important and this is a story important TO THEM so it is gonna be covered extensively.

by Anonymousreply 274January 13, 2022 5:08 AM

True, all those kids from back then are today's adults who are running the media outlets.

by Anonymousreply 275January 13, 2022 5:22 AM

r275 Yet complaining about student loans, how they can't get a good job, raging against the rich and now licking their dead assholes at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 276January 13, 2022 5:28 AM

Oh shut up r276

by Anonymousreply 277January 13, 2022 5:33 AM

[quote]But most importantly It ran from 1987 to 1991. It ended 30 years ago.

Wait, what?

by Anonymousreply 278January 13, 2022 5:35 AM

It actually ran from 1987 - 1995, r274. I remember that very clearly. It was part of the TGIF (ABC) block from 1987-1991 and then got its own primet ime block on ABC from 1991-1995.

The ABC TGIF line-up was THE thing to look forward to at the end of the school week.

Family Matters Boy Meets World Step By Step Hangin' With Mr. Cooper

Were a few of my favorites. And then 20/20 would come on with Barbara Walters, and the night got boring again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279January 13, 2022 5:44 AM

r277 no

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280January 13, 2022 5:45 AM

[quote]Yet complaining about student loans, how they can't get a good job, raging against the rich and now licking their dead assholes at the same time.

God, you sound tedious.

by Anonymousreply 281January 13, 2022 5:49 AM

I always watched Boy Meets World and I watched Step By Step if only for Cody, because Sasha Mitchell was so cute - but Full House was a stupid show, I guess it was good if you were a kid.

by Anonymousreply 282January 13, 2022 5:52 AM

r281 Welcome to the internet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283January 13, 2022 5:55 AM

^^what a shit article

by Anonymousreply 284January 13, 2022 5:57 AM

[quote]Yet complaining about student loans, how they can't get a good job, raging against the rich

These are serious problems affecting millions of Americans.

by Anonymousreply 285January 13, 2022 5:58 AM

Damn r281, you got red-tagged fast af, lol. I swear all I had to do was refresh this page and POOF!

It's like magic.

by Anonymousreply 286January 13, 2022 6:28 AM

r286 you must mean r283 is the one who got red tagged

by Anonymousreply 287January 13, 2022 6:34 AM

Yeah, I meant r283. And r280, tbh.

by Anonymousreply 288January 13, 2022 7:08 AM

Gen X here, John Ritter's death hit me harder because I felt like I grew up watching him.

by Anonymousreply 289January 13, 2022 8:35 AM

I've never heard of Bob Saget or the show he appeared in but I appreciate that him and the show were popular and can understand the out pouring of grief at his death, particularly at a rather young age.

by Anonymousreply 290January 13, 2022 9:24 AM

[quote]Poitier is before the time of Gen X and Millennials.

"They call me Mr. Tibbs."

by Anonymousreply 291January 13, 2022 10:39 AM

R279 I stand corrected. I knew it ran for 8 seasons. I did know it ran til 1995. I was doing too many things at the same time. LOL

by Anonymousreply 292January 13, 2022 1:03 PM

[quote] ... ancient white fags troll, who Muriel should fumigate from DL

R258: whom, not who

Our grief over the death of someone many of us never heard of cannot justify poor grammar.

by Anonymousreply 293January 13, 2022 1:05 PM

I was shocked by his death, I grew up with that show and you naively think such people will be around for a long time. He had a sweetness that came through.

by Anonymousreply 294January 13, 2022 1:12 PM

Full House was stupid but I watched it because of Bob Saget! All the characters were cartoons EXCEPT Danny. He was quirky but the kind of guy I would definitely wanna hang out. It didn't hurt one bit that he was also gorgeous.

Also, in an era where so many people are living longer, it is shocking to see a famous person die at 65. That is news!

by Anonymousreply 295January 13, 2022 1:22 PM

The world: Normal reactions to an untimely celebrity death; social media posts, tributes, nostalgic reminiscing from fans.

Datalounge: This is NATIONAL HYSTERIA and I can't understand it!!

by Anonymousreply 296January 13, 2022 2:02 PM

Anne R267. Well said.

by Anonymousreply 297January 13, 2022 2:27 PM

He was the kind of talent and force of nature that comes along maybe once in a generation. But ah, they say the light that burns twice as bright burns half as long.

by Anonymousreply 298January 13, 2022 2:36 PM

I am surprised to hear he was so sweet. I (wrongly) assumed he was kind of an ass.

by Anonymousreply 299January 13, 2022 3:20 PM

R299 I don't think anyone has a bad word to say about Bob Saget. Some prudes don't like his raunchy (but awesome) comedy shows, but as a person he has a reputation of being a stand up guy.

Kids tend to have good BS detectors. For all those kids to have grown up on that show and ALL STILL LOVE HIM speaks volumes.

by Anonymousreply 300January 13, 2022 3:26 PM

R283 I can think of several "black" shows which fill me with childhood nostalgia, The Jeffersons, 227, Amen, Family Matters, Hangin' With Mr. Cooper, A Different World, and The Cosby Show(though it has now been tainted).

by Anonymousreply 301January 13, 2022 3:43 PM

I agree OP. It reminds me of the hysteria with Philip Seymour Hoffman, who you never hear of anymore. So many confuse the media with their life to a degree never seen before, probably because so many are spending hours looking at their screen.

by Anonymousreply 302January 13, 2022 3:52 PM

I thought the Anthony Bourdain death got too much attention too.

by Anonymousreply 303January 13, 2022 4:57 PM

I did too, R303. I did know much about him when he died. I started watching Parts Unknown on Netflix or Amazon, I found him very boring, arrogant and not very intelligent. I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about.

by Anonymousreply 304January 13, 2022 10:06 PM

R303 The Bourdain coverage was the perfect example of the MSM making an unnecessary fuss over one of their own. Nobody knew who this man was.

Prior to his death, I had given his show about 15 minutes one day when the remote wasn't handy and i was too busy to get up and physically change the channel.

R304 I had the same reaction to Bourdain and his show that you did. I never watched it again.

by Anonymousreply 305January 13, 2022 11:26 PM

I had never watched Bourdain either, but after he died I discovered that several of my friends were huge fans and quite affected by his suicide.

by Anonymousreply 306January 14, 2022 1:00 AM

Bourdain was never really on my radar either, he was some guy who had a cooking show as far as I was concerned. The huge amount of press coverage when he died took me by surprise, I had no idea how popular he was.

by Anonymousreply 307January 14, 2022 1:02 AM

Timing is everything. Saget lucked out by croaking during a slow news cycle.

by Anonymousreply 308January 14, 2022 2:55 AM

No hysteria, I was currently watching season 2 of fuller house on netflix, Have watched all 8 seasons on dvd in the 2000s, and before I had the dvds I actually watched reruns from seasons 5/6/7 early in the mornings before getting ready to school back in 2005.

Anyway, I was shocked to learn about his passing last sunday. Shocked because no one expects famous people to die before turning 80 nowadays, And Bob Saget was still in his mid sixties, not to mention that Full House was like some other sitcoms of its day such as Seinfield, Mad about you and Fresh prince of Bel Air, meaning it was SUPER SUCCESSFUL, so of course people were going to feel shocked and a little sad, given that the first episode aired in 1987 and not back in 1969. The original cast is still TOO YOUNG to die, twenty two or twenty five years from now that won't be the case,but right now it still is.

I just hope his sad death wasn't cause by his supposed passion of cocaine.

by Anonymousreply 309January 16, 2022 3:45 PM

Hysteria? OP needs her meds adjusted. Nurse Crachett to the long term wing, stat! And bring the thorium!

by Anonymousreply 310January 16, 2022 3:53 PM

* wasn't causeD

by Anonymousreply 311January 16, 2022 3:55 PM

[quote] Oh, the ancient white fags

Shut the fuck up with that shit. You’re an “ancient white fag” yourself, no matter how much you wish you weren’t.

by Anonymousreply 312January 16, 2022 4:05 PM

Something new to blame Trump for.

by Anonymousreply 313January 16, 2022 4:44 PM

[QUOTE] Shocked because no one expects famous people to die before turning 80 nowadays

Right because celebs never OD, etc.

by Anonymousreply 314January 16, 2022 6:06 PM

[Quote]Shocked because no one expects famous people to die before turning 80 nowadays

^^^^^^[R309]

[Quote]Right because celebs never OD, etc.

^^^^^[R314]

R314 I am not R309. There have been no reports of drugs, alcohol or foul play.

It is very unusual for a seemingly healthy man in his mid 60s to keel over for unknown reasons.

Unless a person is famous, we usually don't hear about their death and most do die old. Saget's death (at this point) is unusual.

R309's statement is accurate.

by Anonymousreply 315January 17, 2022 12:25 PM

He was a good guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316January 17, 2022 7:14 PM

I love how people are obsessed with tarnishing this man's reputation based on rumors that spread on TikTok and Twitter. It makes me hate social media. I don't get why young women are so obsessed with pedophilia and seeing it everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 317January 17, 2022 7:37 PM

What rumors?

by Anonymousreply 318January 17, 2022 7:40 PM

R318 That he was this pedo and abused the Olsens. It's sick and disturbing to accuse an innocent man of being a pedophile based on hearsay. There's no evidence. He made a joke about a baby doll and people took it way too seriously as if standup comedians don't use shock value and say exaggerated things. Most of these accusers are Gen Z who weren't even alive when Full House went off the air or aware that Bob Saget is also a standup comedian who's audience is adults.

by Anonymousreply 319January 17, 2022 7:45 PM

Well if Chelsea Handler thinks he was a good guy....

by Anonymousreply 320January 17, 2022 7:52 PM

Even though Saget did some filthy jokes, off screen, he seemed to be this symbol of middle American values and mediocrity on TV. To me he was incredibly boring as an actor, and as a host of that home video show he was also incredibly boring and mediocre. I thought Betty White was sometimes very good, and off screen, she was cute - but she was overrated, too, frankly.

by Anonymousreply 321January 17, 2022 8:17 PM

Betty White was a brilliant comedic actress.

by Anonymousreply 322January 17, 2022 8:28 PM

Why was he fired from America’s Favorite Home Videos and replaced by Carlton Banks?

by Anonymousreply 323January 17, 2022 11:15 PM

I'm older than Saget by a few months .. so he's just a dead punk.

by Anonymousreply 324January 17, 2022 11:17 PM

R322 Think about what you just wrote.

by Anonymousreply 325January 17, 2022 11:57 PM

Why? Was she not brilliant?

by Anonymousreply 326January 18, 2022 12:05 AM

R326 If you say so.

by Anonymousreply 327January 18, 2022 12:56 AM

A bit off subject but it’s amazing how Elizabeth Olsen looks so much like the twins yet is so much prettier. Why is that DL face analysts? Just because her nose is a bit smaller and she isn’t five feet tall?

by Anonymousreply 328January 18, 2022 2:18 AM

Elizabeth looks exactly how her sisters used to look like circa 2002 to 2004 before the anorexia and drugs. The twins were always short which I wonder was from all the stress they had put on them at a young age because Elizabeth and their brother tower over the twins.

Mary-Kate and Ashley used to look like this...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329January 18, 2022 2:22 AM

R329 I went to school with a very short pair of twins. They said their doctor told them their short height was a result of being twins. Not that all twins are, just that it is more common.

by Anonymousreply 330January 18, 2022 2:32 AM

Twins are short because they have to share a uterus and their spines shorten and legs can't extend before birth! Patty Duke was a twin with Kathy Duke and they were both very short.

by Anonymousreply 331January 18, 2022 2:37 AM

R321 Is Bea Arthur.

by Anonymousreply 332January 18, 2022 3:14 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333January 18, 2022 4:08 AM

It's a great last text. Better than "Alan Ludden here I come."

by Anonymousreply 334January 18, 2022 4:15 AM

r332 if anything that proves how much of a cunt Ms White was... drawing out the dirty laundry when Ms Arthur couldn't defend herself.

by Anonymousreply 335January 18, 2022 4:28 AM

lending power and celebrity to give a platform to. . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336January 18, 2022 4:35 AM

I knew who he was and had a crush on him as a child but even I hadn’t thought of him in years until he died. I’m sure it’s very sad for those who actually knew him but humans in general tend to get hysterical. They want to make celebrity deaths about them.

by Anonymousreply 337January 18, 2022 4:38 AM

R322 I agree. By all accounts she was a brilliant comedic actress. I don't know many people still working at 99 years old. She clearly didn't need the money. She liked what she was doing and people were still willing to pay her. At that age they don't have to "humor" her. Clearly a lot of people found her work brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 338January 18, 2022 7:57 AM

R338 Lucille Ball was a brilliant comedic actress. Betty White was likable and funny, with good comic timing.

by Anonymousreply 339January 18, 2022 6:39 PM

R339 I liked her, she was cute and funny, and talented - but limited. She was not a comedy genius. Not saying she wasn't good at what she did.

by Anonymousreply 340January 18, 2022 6:45 PM

R317 is not women... it's right wing fraus and men who love spreading the notion that Hollywood is made of pedophiles.

It's basically QAnon shit that started on twitter.

by Anonymousreply 341January 18, 2022 8:35 PM

[quote]It's basically QAnon shit that started on twitter.

Um. No. That "Hollywood is full of pedos claim" has been around since former child actors like Corey Feldman and Todd Bridges starting talking about it. WAY before Q.

And, frankly, they're not wrong. Many "stage moms" so desperate for their kids to be famous will, indeed, give producers easy access to their kids by letting them stay over their houses for "pool parties" and shit. Let's not write that off as Qanon BS. It's been a problem that has been whispered about in the industry for a very long time; going on the way back to Shirley Temple.

by Anonymousreply 342January 18, 2022 9:38 PM

R342 Feldman is an attention whore who changes his story over and over. There are predators in the industry but it's not crawling with them. The only thing the film industry cares about is making money and raping everyone would not be conductive to that. Most children are more likely to be raped by their uncle or the local minister or coach than someone in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 343January 18, 2022 9:42 PM

Oh, come on now. Let's not pretend Hollywood isn't full of abusers like any other industry. It just so happens that it's an industry with a sector that happens to be dedicated to "child employees." And what type of person would likely be attracted to that? You just proved that with the example of coaches, church leaders, etc. Predators go where they have easy access. Mentorship and power positions are perfect for that.

Yes, it's not cool to make false claims and accusations about [italic]specific[/italic] people in the industry without evidence, but no...it's definitely a problem and a lot of kids have, indeed, been victimized. Don't go there, man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344January 18, 2022 9:44 PM

^^^^^^

Yes of course sexual abuse is rampant in Hollyweird, including the sexual harassment of children.

But the rightwing nutjobs literally acuse ANYONE of being a pedophile, which is ridiculous and doesn't help the children molested in Hollywood at all. They also believe in things like blood-sacrifices and that Tom Hanks is a pedo, based on a rumour started by a schizophrenic lying frau.

Bob Saget was no pedophile (though we can never be sure) and he certainly never tocuhed or abused the Olsen twins, dimply they were invited to see one of his stand-up acts when they were about the age of nine and the show was VERY inappropriate, full of dirty jokes with sexual innuendos and LOTS of coarse language. That's where these whole stupid "pedophile" rumours came from.

by Anonymousreply 345January 18, 2022 9:46 PM

R344 You realize that in order to work in Hollywood you need to have a higher education with degrees and years of experience? They don't just let anyone go in and apply for these types of jobs. Unlike youth ministers, Little League coaches, police officers, etc where anyone can basically get those positions. The strict requirements of Hollywood and all the money that is invested into these movies and TV shows would actually weed out a lot of sexual predators because of the years it would take to gain the qualifications to work in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 346January 18, 2022 9:48 PM

All you have to do is read the report about Feldman's premiere to know he's full of shit. I'm sure he experienced some dark shit, but he also only cares about money. And has almost certainly done some dark shit to the young women around him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347January 18, 2022 9:48 PM

R346 you think everyone in Hollywood has advanced degrees and that they go through extensive background checks? If so you are as crazy as the Qanon people.

by Anonymousreply 348January 18, 2022 9:51 PM

If you look at the infamous child star fuckups (Lohan, Furlong, Feldman, Renfro, etc) most of them came from shitty dysfunctional families and were doomed before they stepped foot on a sound stage.

by Anonymousreply 349January 18, 2022 9:52 PM

R348 You obviously need qualifications to work in Hollywood (like degrees, certifications, years of experience, a heavy resume, etc) because it's a competitive and lucrative industry that hires the best of the best. Of course they give background checks. It's not like McDonalds or Walmart.

by Anonymousreply 350January 18, 2022 9:53 PM

[quote]But the rightwing nutjobs

Getting real tired of child molestation, rape, and sexual assault, in general being politicized. Y'all need to stop doing this bullshit.

It is NOT just "right wing" people speaking out against this specific issue. Just like it's not just "left wing" sickos guilty of it. And frankly, that accusation is starting to sound like a dog whistle for silencing any potential victims. This issue has fuck-all to do with politics. Getting real tired of it being weaponized by both sides. It's gross. Just stop.

by Anonymousreply 351January 18, 2022 9:55 PM

R350 HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I work in Hollywood (rarely around children, thank god). I got my first job with a bachelor's degree and have worked my way up. While SOME jobs require all that, many do not.

People get farther on friendships than they do on education. It's about who you know. Once you get in the door, you either do a good job and get more jobs or you suck, burn your bridges and flunk out.

by Anonymousreply 352January 18, 2022 9:57 PM

[quote]The strict requirements of Hollywood and all the money that is invested into these movies and TV shows would actually weed out a lot of sexual predators

Imagine thinking that having a college degree precludes someone from being a sexual predator.

by Anonymousreply 353January 18, 2022 9:57 PM

The issue is we hear more from random people on the internet from flyover suburbs going on about pedophilia in Hollywood than the actual victims. Anyone on social media has a microphone now and that doesn't mean they know what they're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 354January 18, 2022 9:58 PM

[quote]most of them came from shitty dysfunctional families

Yes, and if you knew anything about predators, you'd know they tend to target kids like that because they're the most vulnerable and usually looking for a place to feel "secure and loved." Your argument is literally, "oh they were already fucked up and came from a shitty background, no way they were preyed upon as kids in the industry." Just stop posting, man. Log off. Seriously. You're fucking up, lol.

by Anonymousreply 355January 18, 2022 9:59 PM

If someone wanted to rape children, I really doubt they would spend years of building up a resume or getting a bachelor's degree to get a job in Hollywood just to do that. When it's much easier to molest poor kids from conservative redneck towns by being a youth minister. LA and NYC are both liberal and highly competitive cities with populations that are more educated on average. Most pedos are not smart, they all tend to have low IQs and most predators can be average intelligence but they lack impulse control and mostly get away because of police incompetence or coverups rather than being brilliant

by Anonymousreply 356January 18, 2022 10:01 PM

" This issue has fuck-all to do with politics. Getting real tired of it being weaponized by both sides. It's gross. Just stop."

Scream all you want frau, but my point remains that Bob Saget was not pedophile and the same is probably true when it comes to Tom Hanks.

Not saying they are above all suspicion or that they are/were angels, but absolutely NO ONE accused them of sexual molestation of children EXCEPT right-wing lunatics saying that Hollywood is run by satan.

And children do not need to live in southern California to get sexually abused, it also happens when they live in Alabama, Iowa,Idaho,Ohio,Kentucky,Canada,Japan,Mexico,Russia...

by Anonymousreply 357January 18, 2022 10:06 PM

And if these people are so convinced every celebrity was molested as kids then why are they still watching Hollywood movies, still have their subscriptions to Netflix and still have their social media stan accounts, etc? Why aren't they boycotting all of Hollywood and rejecting mainstream pop culture? Because you can't have your cake and eat it too.

by Anonymousreply 358January 18, 2022 10:07 PM

[quote]still have their subscriptions to Netflix

I mean...you're literally assuming that's the case. A lot of people, on both sides of the political aisle, fucked off of Netflix after that "Cuties" mess. But go off.

by Anonymousreply 359January 18, 2022 10:12 PM

R359 That was a minority of people on Twitter because majority of people still have their Netflix subscriptions and the only cause of reduction is price fluctuations. TikTok and Twitter inflated people's self-importance and intelligence with its echo chambers. Most Americans are more concerned about the economy, their finances and Omicron than all the supposed pedophilia in Hollywood. But retweeting hashtags makes people think they are part of this huge movement of millions when it's is really only 1000 people and their bots.

by Anonymousreply 360January 18, 2022 10:15 PM

[quote][bold]majority of people[/bold] still have their Netflix subscriptions

Majority of [italic]what[/italic] people? What demographic are you measuring? Unless people pay attention to social media, they likely wouldn't know about "Cuties," anyway. So, you can't say that those who still subscribe don't care about something they, more than likely, don't even know exists. So, what are you even on about, here? And why are you so determined to politicize and, almost seemingly downplay, the issue of pedophilia in Hollywood?

By all accounts, it's a weird-ass hill to choose to die on, considering.

by Anonymousreply 361January 18, 2022 10:22 PM

Calm your tits. I’m in the UK and I’ve never heard of him before now. It’s sad for his family.

by Anonymousreply 362January 18, 2022 10:26 PM

LOL R350 - background checks? Hollywood attracts every lowlife it can. One of my former co-workers was in jail for drug dealing but his best friend's uncle was a big wig at Paramount and he got a job on the lot.

by Anonymousreply 363January 19, 2022 12:36 AM

R261, actually it sounds more like the other way around with you. You hate gay men. Own up, admit it already. You've been foaming at the mouth all over this thread to drop the misogyny accusation.

by Anonymousreply 364January 19, 2022 1:28 AM

[quote] You realize that in order to work in Hollywood you need to have a higher education with degrees and years of experience? They don't just let anyone go in and apply for these types of jobs. Unlike youth ministers, Little League coaches, police officers, etc where anyone can basically get those positions. The strict requirements of Hollywood and all the money that is invested into these movies and TV shows would actually weed out a lot of sexual predators because of the years it would take to gain the qualifications to work in Hollywood.

Have you never heard of Jeffrey Epstein? He taught at the Dalton School, he was an exec in the banking industry, his famous friends were Presidents and Princes. They went to Ivy League schools, etc. But you really need to get out more if you think Hollywood is some sort of meritocracy. The film industry has always been full of grifters and hustlers.

by Anonymousreply 365January 19, 2022 1:36 AM

Pedophiles come from all walks of life with all kinds of backgrounds and they are in literally EVERY career field so stop the denigration of "Hollywood."

It has nothing to do with the kids, but adults need to step up.

All industries need to do a better job policing themselves and parents need to keep up with their own kids. I am always impressed by parents who are on the set (and/or looking out for their kid's best interests).

But most importantly the motherfuckers who do this CRIMINAL shit to kids, need to just fucking stop!

by Anonymousreply 366January 19, 2022 6:08 PM

[quote]stop the denigration of "Hollywood."

It's probably because a large number of people in that field tend to drone on about actually caring for human rights but then will knowingly protect a predator to protect their "precious careers." That's how Harvey Weinstein was able to get away with so much. He had power, and people willing to look the other way surrounding him.

It's a matter of accountability and hypocrisy that makes people target Hollywood because many of those in Hollywood have a bad habit of portraying themselves as self-righteous, altruistic, and, dare I say, elitist. Anytime a person, organization, or group, takes a moral high ground, it's always been satisfying to knock them down off their high horse and reveal the depravity underneath proving that they're full of shit (see: the Catholic church and Bill Cosby).

When the lot of them stop talking out of both sides of their mouths and actually start holding these sick fucks accountable, regardless of how much power and/or pull they have in the industry, I guarantee this "Hollywood denigration obsession" will cease and desist.

by Anonymousreply 367January 19, 2022 11:03 PM

R367 Whoa! As far as I know Bill Cosby's charged misconduct occurred on the East Coast (Not Hollywood). And neither Cosby or Harvey Weinstein was accused of molesting kids. That would be Priests (again Not Hollywood) and your hero Donald Trump and Jeffrey Epstein (Not while in Hollywood).

But this is a discussion about pedophilia. You want to try to distract from that topic by shoehorning in all these other sex crimes as you struggle to make your assault on Hollywood pedophilia more credible. It doesn't. My point is that there is plenty of denigration to go around for those engaging in pedophilia and it is in every career field. Hollywood is not covering up any more (or any less) than politicians, clergy, government, the military, corporate America or anywhere else.

It's really ignorant and extremely short-sighted to say that pedophilia is limited to Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 368January 19, 2022 11:51 PM

Lots and LOTS of Pedophiles have been on Law & Order. And SUV.

by Anonymousreply 369January 19, 2022 11:56 PM

You're all over the place with this, r366. You know Hollywood is a broad moniker for the entertainment industry, in general.

Cosby and Weinstein were used as examples of how predators with power and notoriety in the industry are protected.

You trying to make this political is gross. And nowhere did I ever say that pedophilia was limited to Hollywood.

In fact, I emphasized, that child predators tend to frequent jobs where they can have easy access to kids, listed examples of such from other industries in r344, and noted that Hollywood happens to have an entire sector saturated with child performers (i.e kids and family genre shows and films).

Take several seats, please.

by Anonymousreply 370January 20, 2022 3:16 AM

R367 No, moron, the one "all over the place" is YOU!

This whole topic came up when it was alleged that Bob Saget was a pedophile. You wanted to hop on the bandwagon (with no proof) and then proceed with the typical GOP trope that "Hollywood" is the root of all evil.

You proceeded to bring up Cosby and Weinstein (in a discussion about pedophilia) as examples of how bad Hollywood is. While both these men may be scum of the earth, they are not pedophiles. So bringing them up does NOT support your argument that "Hollywood" is some type of megacenter for pedophilia.

Don't get mad at me because you sound like an idiot for trying to inflame the discussion board by throwing in the names of controversial people who are irrelevant to the conversation. This is a discussion about pedophilia and if you think Hollywood is the only place this happens then you are a fool.

You went off on a tangent to support your own agenda (to criticize and single out Hollywood). That is fine (you can discuss anything you want), but if you specifically address and quote me to do it then expect to be dragged for being off topic!

You sound tired (or maybe just a bit old and a bit senile). In any event, your dumb ass has earned all the seats. Why don't you take several!

by Anonymousreply 371January 20, 2022 9:52 AM

[quote]This whole topic came up when it was alleged that Bob Saget was a pedophile.

I am aware how the topic came up. I never agreed, nor stated, that he was a pedophile and also made it clear that making serious accusations like that on [italic]specific[/italic] people without evidence of such is bad form.

I commented on one aspect of a poster's argument; that these various pedophile claims were started because of QAnon. That is inaccurate. These claims have been getting made long before that (I have already provided examples), and many of them have been proven to be legitimate. It is also true that powerful people in Hollywood, like every other industry, have been protected from being held accountable, and that ways to safely and confidentially report offenders have just, within the last few years, been implemented due in large part to the #metoo movement. SAG finally has "an app for that" where previously, victims went unheard and, in many cases, intimidated to silence.

All in all, you seem very adamant to brush off the "there are pedophiles in Hollywood that have been getting away with abuse for decades" issue and hide it behind a veil of politics, which is, as previously stated, gross and dismissive. By all means, call people out when they start naming names in the industry without proof. I'm not talking about that, so move on. But don't act like it's not a problem that has been getting ignored and has brought harm to a lot of children, many who are now adults, in the industry. Some of them, as is the pattern with this horrific situation, end up continuing the cycle of abuse as adults (see Drake Bell video below).

Again, no idea why this is the hill you're choosing to die on. I never stated or co-signed the claim Bob Saget was a pedophile in this thread. I merely elevated the topic to another level. Do try to keep up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372January 21, 2022 1:55 AM

The topic has not been elevated R372. You're both very tiring.

Pedophiles exist. Everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 373January 21, 2022 2:01 AM

Don't you dumbbells understand that Hollywood is different because kids are employed so extensively in movies and TV? Sure, pedophiles exist everywhere but there aren't a lot of children working on Wall Street or in law offices or whatever.

by Anonymousreply 374January 21, 2022 2:28 AM

Bruh, I give up. No, r374, they clearly don't understand that basic shit. They're either dumb as hell, or Bryan Singer and Kevin Spacey have invaded this thread. FTS. -_-

by Anonymousreply 375January 21, 2022 2:32 AM

Bob Saget wasn't a pedophile and there's no proof any crimes. So stop with these accusations and slandering of a dead man. Can you pedophilia QAnon-adjacent trolls please go back to Twitter?

by Anonymousreply 376January 21, 2022 2:36 AM

Yeah, no one in this thread ever actually agreed with the claim that Bob Saget was a pedophile, myself included. The topic shifted to pedophiles in Hollywood, overall. Maybe we should continue the discussion in the appropriate thread. I, personally, liked Bob Saget (icon from childhood, and all) and haven't heard of the pedophilia accusations until this thread. But anyway...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 377January 21, 2022 2:41 AM

R374 Those kids have protections and adhere by child labor laws. They must be supervised and also are required to be tutored. If they're in a big movie or TV show which is a huge investment, there would be even more micromanagement over the kids and their actions. Most movie sets would not have kids running around unsupervised because they are disruptive. If any molestation occurs it must be in a situation where they would be isolated from the staff and crew. So it would have to occur outside of any TV or movie sets. And outside of the sets, it's their parents responsibility to look over them and make sure they are not running off to parties or hanging with strange men. So ultimately it goes back to the parents.

by Anonymousreply 378January 21, 2022 2:50 AM

R374 laughs in Catholic Church & Boy Scouts

by Anonymousreply 379January 21, 2022 2:52 AM

Yes pastors, scout leaders, teachers and coaches have far more solo interactions with children than anyone in Hollywood does. Children are also far more likely to get molested by a relative than a stranger. Parents are expected in Hollywood to accompany their kids everywhere and be on the set with them and if they are not present there must be a guardian. If a kid in Hollywood gets molested, it has to be because their parent is neglectful or willing to put their kid in endangering situations.

by Anonymousreply 380January 21, 2022 3:00 AM

R380 how dare you!

by Anonymousreply 381January 21, 2022 3:04 AM

Well you don't have to be a genius to realize the reason all those laws and rules are in place in the entertainment industry is because kids are in danger of being molested.

by Anonymousreply 382January 21, 2022 6:25 PM

No one would ever accuse R382 of being a genius. Trust me. The laws are in place to prevent children from being overworked, denied an education, and having their money stolen, as happened many times in Old Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 383January 21, 2022 6:31 PM

Oh dear god!!!!!!

I was the one who mentioned the Qloons invading DL and the reason why I did so is because, as one of the repliers already explained, is that this is a thread about Bob Saget and BOB SAGET ONLY, some troll tried to derail the thread to "pedophilia in Hollyweird", OF COURSE THIS IS right-wing trollery of the worst kind; SIMPLY because there is NO link between Bob Saget and pedophilia, he was NEVER accused of sexually abusing ANYONE.

That's a rumour started on twitter by trolls who love accusing democrat actors such as Bob Saget and Tom Hanks of pedophilia while IGNORING that republican politicians travelling to central America to have sex with fourteen year old girls are the true pedophiles out there.

The only 'abusing' Bob Saget did towards the Olsen twins was to let them watch one of his stand-up acts where he used a lot of dirty words and language.

IF the fraus in DL want to discuss sexual abuse and harassment of minors in Hollywood they can perfectly do it in another thread, INSTEAD of trying to ASSOCIATE Bob Saget and the term pedophilia. That's Libel

by Anonymousreply 384January 21, 2022 9:47 PM

[quote]I was the one who mentioned the Qloons invading DL and the reason why I did so is because, as one of the repliers already explained, is that this is a thread about Bob Saget and BOB SAGET ONLY, some troll tried to derail the thread to "pedophilia in Hollyweird", OF COURSE THIS IS right-wing trollery of the worst kind; SIMPLY because there is NO link between Bob Saget and pedophilia, he was NEVER accused of sexually abusing ANYONE.

Since when did a thread on DL ever stay on topic? And why do you think it's your job to tell people what they can post or not? And why do you assume the only people who think there's pedophilia in Hollywood are right wingers?

Most of the people commenting are not saying Saget was a pedo nor trying to prove he was. No need to get your knickers in a twist.

by Anonymousreply 385January 22, 2022 12:25 AM

Hillary and Bill ran a child prostitution ring from a pizza parlour basement - but you won't hear much about that when they are assassinated. Pedophiles most often get away scot free in life, but they suffer a week's damnation on Twitter and DL. Justice is done. Closure for all.

by Anonymousreply 386January 22, 2022 3:08 AM

R386 was pepperoni and sausage a favorite topping?

by Anonymousreply 387January 22, 2022 4:52 AM

[Quote]All in all, you seem very adamant to brush off the "there are pedophiles in Hollywood that have been getting away with abuse for decades" issue and hide it behind a veil of politics

R372 ARE YOU FUCKING CRAZY? When did I ever say there was no pedophilia in Hollywood? I never said anything of the kind. I said that there are pedophiles in every industry and it is not exclusive to Hollywood. You keep going around the block and back to try and "PROVE" there are pedophiles in Hollywood. I don't need to watch your 35 minute video to prove there are pedophiles. As I have said many times, THEY ARE EVERYWHERE!

You didn't elevate shit. You started the shit! You are the one making it political by spouting GOP Talking points about Hollywood and pedophilia in a thread that (by your own admission) has nothing to do with that! Go back to watching FOX News. Nobody wants to hear your "Horrors of Hollywood Sermon."

And don't even say you weren't trying to tie Bob Saget with the pedophilia shit! Everyone knows damn well that is the reason you brought this shit up and quoted me in your smear campaign as you proceeded to prolong it.

FUCK YOU!

I'm so sick of assholes like you trying to drag good people down with LIES, especially since he is no longer around to defend himself. Let the fucker rest in peace!

by Anonymousreply 388January 22, 2022 7:15 PM

Did Podesta ever explain what “pizza” was code for in his emails. They were certainly not talking about pizza. I hope he and Hillary aren’t pedos but you never know.

by Anonymousreply 389January 22, 2022 7:22 PM

Do the kooks obsessed with pedophilia in Hollywood and the Democratic Party give money to children's charities, volunteer at children's hospitals, foster homes and shelters and fundraise? You know actual activism and work that could help children far more.

by Anonymousreply 390January 22, 2022 7:49 PM

I’m hysterical over cocks and feet

by Anonymousreply 391January 22, 2022 8:00 PM

R389 No, but Bill was good friends with Jeffrey Epstein.

by Anonymousreply 392January 22, 2022 8:14 PM

R390. Nope! And these are the same people that are anti-abortion but whine about tax dollars being spent to give poor kids free lunch at school because they "care" so much about kids.

by Anonymousreply 393January 22, 2022 8:15 PM

R390 R393 Do you? I'm not anti abortion nor am I remotely a right winger, but there's plenty of anecdotal evidence of abuse of minors in Hollywood. Volunteering at children's hospitals is not going to end sexual victimization of minors. And nobody is saying pedophilia or abuse of minors is "limited to" Hollywood. Anymore than victimization of women is limited to Hollywood. That's beside the point.

by Anonymousreply 394January 22, 2022 8:23 PM

R394 Well, it makes a difference and people respect those who actually do the work to make the world a better place. What can we do to stop the victimization of children or women in Hollywood? Hollywood is wealthy industry controlled by powerful corporations and its the state of California's responsibility at that to clamp down on it. Anyway, It would make more sense to focus on doing what you can change. Voting in local elections, volunteering and other things. And the fact is most minors and women are abused by their family or close family friends.

by Anonymousreply 395January 22, 2022 8:33 PM

[quote]most minors and women are abused by their family or close family friends.

What does this have to do with anything when most minors and women aren't in the entertainment industry/Hollywood to begin with?

by Anonymousreply 396January 22, 2022 8:44 PM

[quote] And nobody is saying pedophilia or abuse of minors is "limited to" Hollywood. Anymore than victimization of women is limited to Hollywood. That's beside the point.

No, but ‘someone’ randomly tried to link pedophilia to a dead man who, but any rational account, had NOTHING to do with the subject, but right-wingers are obsessed with connecting Hollywood with pedos, while ignoring all the child-abise that occurs among evangelicals, Scouts and other right-leanings organizations, so THAT’S the point!

by Anonymousreply 397January 22, 2022 8:46 PM

r390 between the left and the right.

say for example with natural disasters

the left are more likely to spread awareness and host fundraisers

the right are more likely to organize volunteers, donate equipment or services and become directly involved.

both are necessary but often the differing approaches clash socially as they do in politics.

by Anonymousreply 398January 22, 2022 8:46 PM

I guess Bob Saget is so boring, his discussion got derailed by a discussion of pedophilia in Hollywood.

He was a good Jewish Philly boy who did nothing wrong. The rumors are an example of how social media rots people's brains and reflects how the lack of critical thought in education has ruined many generations.

by Anonymousreply 399January 22, 2022 8:54 PM

he's on the cover of TV GUIde;

by Anonymousreply 400January 27, 2022 2:30 AM

[Quote]Volunteering at children's hospitals is not going to end sexual victimization of minors.

R394 Neither does attacking Hollywood. If you really care about child victims then why don't you address it all over the country (and world)?

Why try to smear a dead man with baseless child molestation allegations in a thread specifically devoted to a discussion of his life? You are indeed a shitty person.

by Anonymousreply 401January 27, 2022 6:00 AM

Cute. That John Stamos loved Bob. Everyone from that show seems to love one another, 30 years later. That's extremely unusual. (Except that dick who beat up Alanis Morissette)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 402January 27, 2022 6:51 PM

Most of the pedophile rumors gained attention as highly inappropriate jokes at Saget's comedy Central Roast. Bob made lots of nasty jokes himself. As does every comedian. Except for the 'nice' ones.

Greg Giraldo was merciless. And very funny. I ❤ Gilbert Gottfried.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 403January 27, 2022 6:57 PM

'It's NOT true that Bob Saget raped and killed a girl in 1990!'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 404January 27, 2022 6:59 PM

Those are just jokes, however tasteless, playing off of the rumors, r404.

by Anonymousreply 405January 27, 2022 7:52 PM

Never a fan of this show but I'll admit the closeness of the cast is nice to see.

by Anonymousreply 406January 27, 2022 8:33 PM

R403 / R404 That was hilarious! Thanks for posting! It was good to see Bob and his friends laughing! May he RIP!

by Anonymousreply 407January 28, 2022 12:26 AM

Neither does attacking Hollywood. If you really care about child victims then why don't you address it all over the country (and world)?

Why try to smear a dead man with baseless child molestation allegations in a thread specifically devoted to a discussion of his life? You are indeed a shitty person.

Dear R401 - I have said several times I'm not the poster (if any) trying to say or imply Bob S. had anything to do with child abuse. I don't believe he did, nor have I ever said it. In fact I think it's reidiculous. So could you kindly stop calling me a shitty person?

"Attacking Hollywwod" is a separate issue. Bob Saget does not = Hollywood. I also did not attack Hollywood. But I'm curious why you feel the need to defend Hollywood so much. If these chanrges against Hollywood people are baseless and unfounded, that will be proven. If they are true, that will also be proven.

by Anonymousreply 408January 28, 2022 9:10 AM

He gets a sag award.

by Anonymousreply 409January 28, 2022 9:16 AM

R408 I am not defending anything or anyone. You chose to address me, quote me and assert all your anger towards me in your diatribe on Hollywood pedophilia when all I said was Hollywood is NOT THE ONLY PLACE where that's a problem. Why you choose to go on and on about Hollywood pedophilia in a thread about Bob Saget is puzzling to many of us. Why don't you stop already or at least stop addressing me with it because I am beyond not giving a fuck!

by Anonymousreply 410January 28, 2022 9:37 AM

R410 There were several people posting about it, more than I was. So now you single me out for your "attention"? Sorry, I don't get it. Also as I said I did not say Saget was involved in pedophilia so why did you say I was a shitty person? You had no reason to say this. But go off.

by Anonymousreply 411January 28, 2022 9:42 AM

R411 That is just it, the others posting about it are not quoting and addressing me with the bullshit. I am not the thread police. I don't care what people discuss but if you address me don't be surprised if I decide to respond back to you. You keep saying you are not a shitty person, yet you keep addressing me with this shit...after I have told you at least 5 times, I don't wanna talk about it. Really? Stop trying to pretend that you did not provoke every response you received.

by Anonymousreply 412January 28, 2022 9:50 AM

How many here would have sex with a trans? Be honest.

by Anonymousreply 413January 28, 2022 9:54 AM

It's been a couple of weeks and perhaps our long national period of grief about this child fucker has finally come to an end.

And the answer, R413, is no one in their right mind.

by Anonymousreply 414January 28, 2022 9:56 AM

R412 You just keep bearing down, it seems like you wont be happy until I agree that I'm a shitty person and all your scorn for me is justified. You must be really great in a relationship. I think I've been reasonable while you continue to just be abusive and say nothing of substance. Good luck to you, that's all I can say at this point.

by Anonymousreply 415January 28, 2022 10:01 AM

R413 Not even with a whole bottle of viagra is that gonna happen!

by Anonymousreply 416January 28, 2022 10:01 AM

[quote][R410] There were several people posting about it, more than I was.

Can confirm. I'm r367. So, multiple people have replied to you about this, r401.

by Anonymousreply 417January 28, 2022 10:20 AM

This thread needs to be closed since it has been hijacked by pedo obsessed loons.

by Anonymousreply 418January 28, 2022 10:25 AM

R415 So now the passive-aggressive sideways attacks? Dude why are you still talking to me? Just move the fuck on!

by Anonymousreply 419January 28, 2022 10:30 AM

I'm the one who started the thread and I don't even know what they are arguing about?

by Anonymousreply 420January 28, 2022 10:33 AM

I still want to know what he croaked from.

by Anonymousreply 421January 28, 2022 10:35 AM

I think the DL hysteria regarding the “national hysteria over Bob Saget’s death” has indisputably outgrown the “national hysteria over Bob Saget’s death.”

Never change DL. Never change.

by Anonymousreply 422January 28, 2022 10:39 AM

As someone who never understood the appeal of Full House since I found it smarmy and unfunny, I also never understood the appeal of Bob Saget. He was on the lower rungs of the comedian ladder as far as his stand-up went. He seemed like a nice enough guy though and 65 is a young age to die for someone who seemed relatively healthy. The hysteria over his death by the media is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 423January 28, 2022 10:43 AM

Poor Bob.

by Anonymousreply 424January 28, 2022 10:41 PM

I managed to live a normal and happy life without ever hearing about Bob Saget. I still don't know what he did.

by Anonymousreply 425January 28, 2022 10:45 PM

And I thought people were all extra about Colby Bryant.

I guess I was wrong

by Anonymousreply 426January 28, 2022 10:46 PM

r426 Dude...

*Kobe Bryant

by Anonymousreply 427January 29, 2022 7:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!