Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

And Just Like That… Discussion Part 3

I’m sorry, I .can’t. Don’t hate me.

by Anonymousreply 600December 27, 2021 6:48 AM

Previous thread below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 18, 2021 3:48 PM

Marking my spot

by Anonymousreply 2December 18, 2021 3:51 PM

I think R593 (?) was expecting too much of the writers of this show re. Gloria and Stanford. But I agree... they drop anvils like there's no tomorrow. I do not give them credit for paying them off.

by Anonymousreply 3December 18, 2021 4:27 PM

I'd love it if more and more shit came out about Big this season--shady financial deals, secret mistresses, a love child or two--that fully deconstructed the bullshit fairytale that was Big and Carrie.

by Anonymousreply 4December 18, 2021 4:40 PM

I never could stand Stanford. They couldnt have gotten a moderately attractive queen to play him? I didnt wish him death,but Im not sorry I wont see him again.

by Anonymousreply 5December 18, 2021 4:47 PM

Just call me and I'll come running.

by Anonymousreply 6December 18, 2021 4:59 PM

The irony: Chris Noth will be written out as a hero.

Willie Garson will be written out as a villain.

by Anonymousreply 7December 18, 2021 6:34 PM

But is it known how Willie Garson will be written out? Are there any spoilers?

by Anonymousreply 8December 18, 2021 6:37 PM

R8, he will be written out because mid season

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 18, 2021 6:39 PM

So how are they writing out Stanford?

by Anonymousreply 10December 18, 2021 6:45 PM

Che's comedy act wasn't funny at all.

by Anonymousreply 11December 18, 2021 7:03 PM

R9 haha, love that scene!

by Anonymousreply 12December 18, 2021 7:06 PM

^^It was a boring lecture. I kept waiting for the stand up part to start.

Bitch is pushing 50 years old and behaves like a college freshman. OOhh....you smoke pot! Oohh...you masturbate in public! Ooh...you're so edgy and stunning and brave!

Bitch, you're old enough to be a grandmother. It's pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 13December 18, 2021 7:07 PM

It's "Tony award winning" Sara Ramirez. Thanks you.

by Anonymousreply 14December 18, 2021 8:44 PM

I love the show. A lot of your questions say more about you than the world. You’re closed minded as gay men? Think about that one.

You don’t know what retconning is apparently, as you keep misusing it. Just because Miranda said she wasn’t a lesbian 20 years ago doesn’t mean she now is coming to terms with things, it happens.

I know someone who is 44 and now in a relationship with a 30 year old woman. She’s only ever been with men, now she’s suddenly with a woman. Guess what, sexuality isn’t so black and white for everyone. Just because you only like one thing doesn’t mean everyone was like that or is like that.

by Anonymousreply 15December 18, 2021 8:56 PM

Yes R15 but taking a sudden liking to pussy is an extreme, surely? Like those people who wake up after a stroke and start talking in an Asian accent.

by Anonymousreply 16December 18, 2021 9:01 PM

But how do we know she’s that into pussy? She hasn’t had it yet. She seems attracted to Che. She hasn’t been shown hitting on any other women. Maybe it is Che who has her confused.

by Anonymousreply 17December 18, 2021 9:04 PM

Plot twist: Che fucks Steve - Miranda left out in cold.

by Anonymousreply 18December 18, 2021 9:12 PM

She kissed that pretty girl on her softball team in s1 and felt nothing. To quote Samantha she needs to get the stick out of her ass and a cock up her cooch!

by Anonymousreply 19December 18, 2021 9:19 PM

Again, it may just be Che she is attracted to. And people change.

by Anonymousreply 20December 18, 2021 9:23 PM

Are we supposed to find it fun/charming/cool that the Che character sexually harasses everyone they interact with? Imagine a 'cis' male character behaving like this on a show in 2021. Would we be expected to like them?

by Anonymousreply 21December 18, 2021 10:39 PM

R4 See a number of people have already commented on a wide variety of plot lines that would be way more interesting than what we're seeing now.

Unfortunately, the people whose job it is to create an interesting story, the writers, have condemned us to boring predictable plots that we all already see coming.

1.) Carrie will continue to be a self-centered narcissistic asshole who plays the eternal victim.

2.) Sara Ramirez will perpetually lecture (in the most off-putting way possible) the viewers on nonbinary/trans issues as if she is the premier emissary of all such issues. (No one is confusing her for man by the way as her character so smugly insinuates)

3.) Charlotte's daughter will be trans/nonbinary and Charlotte will have to wrestle with that over the next few episodes, but ultimately grin (like a jack-o-lantern), accept it, and lecture others on it.

4.) Miranda will become a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 22December 18, 2021 10:57 PM

I winced at Carrie's reaction when Charlotte raised the spectre of boozy Miranda.

by Anonymousreply 23December 18, 2021 10:59 PM

I’m still happy the girls are back.

by Anonymousreply 24December 18, 2021 11:00 PM

But Carrie has always been a self centered selfish narcissist. Some of you act like this is new.

by Anonymousreply 25December 18, 2021 11:02 PM

Can anyone remember any point in the series or movies where Carrie was a really good friend? Ultimately this show was supposed to be about female friendship, right? I can think of times when the other women had Carrie's back. Maybe I just can't remember but I'm honestly drawing a blank trying to think of examples of Carrie really coming thru for her friends. Showing up for a kid's recital doesn't count. I'm talking about when it was important.

by Anonymousreply 26December 18, 2021 11:06 PM

Not thinking it's new for the character, it just makes for a boring predictable plot as written. It's the writers job to make a story compelling. It's possible a self-centered narcissist character could be interesting, but the writers for this show are not up to par for that sort of creativity.

by Anonymousreply 27December 18, 2021 11:07 PM

Carrie apparently helped Charlotte through her Marital woes (according to her)

She flew across town to be with a lonely friend on NYE

And she once bought Miranda bagels

by Anonymousreply 28December 18, 2021 11:10 PM

I like the show? If you don’t like it don’t watch. It’s not mandatory

by Anonymousreply 29December 18, 2021 11:10 PM

I disagree Carrie has always been self-centred. I think the character went off the rails after SJP got producer status and Darren Starr left. I think MPK has his own vision for the show, emphasis on fabulous vs. female. I am watching the series from the start and under DS the show is quite different and, for me, better. Carrie isn't dressed by Magenta, for one thing.

by Anonymousreply 30December 18, 2021 11:11 PM

Carrie was never a good friend to the other women, who were always there for her. Even when Miranda’s back went out and she was on the floor, naked, and in pain, Carrie sent over Aidan without telling her.

by Anonymousreply 31December 18, 2021 11:11 PM

R26 there was a link in the prior thread where the actress who plays the human rights professor says this show is about sisterhood and female empowerment....

I have yet to see any of that just, "why did my dead husband leave a million dollars to his ex-wife who he (and I) screwed over and not MEEEEEE! WAAAH! Everyone needs to console me!"

Short answer to your question, no. She's a horrible friend and no healthy minded person would stick by her.

by Anonymousreply 32December 18, 2021 11:12 PM

Carrie WAS always self-centered. I also have watched the show, many times now.

by Anonymousreply 33December 18, 2021 11:12 PM

On the other hand, she seems to be whipping through grief and loss at record speed. Episode three felt six months on.

by Anonymousreply 34December 18, 2021 11:13 PM

Excuse me? Did Carrie not cut her "final" date with Big short to hold Miranda's hand whilst she gave birth to the gruesome Brady Brady? Did she not refuse to let it upset her when Miranda's waters broke over her beautiful $500 strappy sandals?!

by Anonymousreply 35December 18, 2021 11:18 PM

I do wonder if SJP realizes how self centered Carrie is? You’d think she’d make sure they would write her as a saint of saints.

by Anonymousreply 36December 18, 2021 11:20 PM

In SJPs self centered mind Carrie is a saint.

by Anonymousreply 37December 18, 2021 11:22 PM

He was born Brady Hobbes but then Miranda married Steve Brady so is he still Brady Brady?

by Anonymousreply 38December 18, 2021 11:47 PM

R15: “ You don’t know what retconning is apparently”

Bitch, we know. But it gotta be good.

This ain’t.

by Anonymousreply 39December 18, 2021 11:50 PM

The only thing that made me laugh in the first 3 episodes is when Stanford kept being hit by the door in the restaurant and he said to Carrie that maybe Big had been in touch with Natasha and when the waiter hit him with the door that time Miranda said "you deserved that one".

by Anonymousreply 40December 18, 2021 11:56 PM

I loved episodes 2 and 3.

by Anonymousreply 41December 18, 2021 11:58 PM

"And she once bought Miranda bagels."

And Miranda called them "bullshit bagels" once she realized that Carrie brought them over so that she could unload about man troubles.

by Anonymousreply 42December 19, 2021 1:25 AM

And her bullshit bagels were NOT accompanied by cream cheese.

by Anonymousreply 43December 19, 2021 1:41 AM

Carrie really did bring her bagels to speak about herself.

by Anonymousreply 44December 19, 2021 2:00 AM

Carrie does everything to talk about herself. She is a disgusting character.

by Anonymousreply 45December 19, 2021 3:04 AM

Carrie SMOKED in poor Samantha's new Meatpacking loft, when she had it all, including a terrible flu. This was the prelude episode to the HIV test episode where all the girls were shaming Sam for being such a whore. Another example of when Carrie was a terrible, selfish friend.

by Anonymousreply 46December 19, 2021 3:05 AM

Come on. Carrie could be a supportive friend, and often was. She got all the girls to Philly for Miranda's mother's funeral, she cared for Samantha when she was deathly ill from the flu, she wrote Charlotte a letter of recommendation to help her adopt.

Those are just examples I remember off the top of my head. But annoying and self-centered as Carries could be, the idea that she was never any kind of good friend or that she never reciprocated her friends' love and support is revisionist hogwash.

Go back and watch the original show.

by Anonymousreply 47December 19, 2021 4:57 AM

[quote] I’m still happy the girls are back.

They haven't been girls for some 30 years. They're in their Metamucil years.

by Anonymousreply 48December 19, 2021 5:01 AM

She was a good friend in seasons one and two when the comedy was more situation based.

by Anonymousreply 49December 19, 2021 5:09 AM

Since Chr identifies as male is Miranda really flirting with lesbianism? Che is more manly than Steve.

by Anonymousreply 50December 19, 2021 5:29 AM

Che is what used to be called "a big honking bulldyke." They were unquestionably women.

by Anonymousreply 51December 19, 2021 5:31 AM

R50 I disagree. Che is not acting "manly." She's acting like an obnoxious entitled smug asshole bitch.

by Anonymousreply 52December 19, 2021 5:35 AM

Che: Non-binary, Irish, Mexican, Bi-sexual mix of non-conforming, in your face, pussy dropping, foul mouth pot smoking, queer

DL: In other words, bull dyke

by Anonymousreply 53December 19, 2021 6:06 AM

Pretty much, r53

by Anonymousreply 54December 19, 2021 6:17 AM

R36 that wasn’t the point which some of you don’t get

by Anonymousreply 55December 19, 2021 6:44 AM

If Miranda is going to fall for another woman, surely she'd pick someone less repulsive than Che. Samantha had good taste - Maria was beautiful, passionate, creative and accomplished.

by Anonymousreply 56December 19, 2021 6:45 AM

SJP has stated that the choices Carrie makes are not the ones she would make. But when she became executive producer of SitC, SJP ruined it, perhaps unconsciously, by turning her Everywoman character into the Hot Girl.

by Anonymousreply 57December 19, 2021 6:48 AM

Many people back in the day didn’t have the luxury of identifying how they felt. Now, they do. Is some of it BS- yes. BUT, if we believe in individualism this is the end result. It isn’t hurting gays. It is blurring the lines of heterosexuality. That is why the trolls jump on this on a gay message board.

by Anonymousreply 58December 19, 2021 6:51 AM

R58 Are you lost?

by Anonymousreply 59December 19, 2021 6:58 AM

IDGAF what you bitches think. There is so much story to be told with this group. Imagine if the Golden Girls would have had a prequel? I want to see where these women end up. If you don’t like it, don’t watch. J’m enjoying this.

by Anonymousreply 60December 19, 2021 7:19 AM

R60 so glad you informed us.

by Anonymousreply 61December 19, 2021 7:39 AM

Well, why would Cynthia Nixon IRL end up with Rojo Caliente?

As a lesbian who is only attracted to women I find wildly physically attractive, I can't explain it. But there it is.

by Anonymousreply 62December 19, 2021 12:36 PM

the writers forgot that SATC wasn't about plot it was about characters. They have way too much story going on

by Anonymousreply 63December 19, 2021 12:40 PM

While it is awful that Willie Garson died, I never liked the Stanford character, and I won’t miss him. I do like Anthony, though. I know some folks here on the DL don’t like Mario Cantone, but I do and I think he’s a good actor.

by Anonymousreply 64December 19, 2021 1:00 PM

You know what would be novel and shocking in this show? Have a guy reject Carrie and call her ugly. Or at least “not hot”.

by Anonymousreply 65December 19, 2021 1:18 PM

R59, I’ll put on my school marm/scolding persona. Nothing the OP said was an insult to you. No reason at all for you to be personally nasty. Now, we really know what a stupid cunt YOU are.

by Anonymousreply 66December 19, 2021 1:20 PM

Saw the episode last night when both Miranda and Samantha tell Carrie they don't have time to go over her problems with Berger. Miranda, exhausted by the baby and trying to get ready for work, gets a call from Carrie talking about herself and her man problems, blah, blah. Don't have time, Carrie.

Later, Samantha says the same to an astonished Carrie. Basically, I have real problems and no time to hash out the as of yet non-existent relationship with some guy.

Carrie, tone deaf, narcissistic and unable to read a room.

by Anonymousreply 67December 19, 2021 2:42 PM

Why is SJP doing that social x-ray thing? (reference from ancient Greece, for those who don't know but can Google.) She was always thin, now she's stretched and tightened within an inch of her life. I wonder if she nicks herself shaving her legs she won't fly all over the room like a balloon. She's not ugly to me but dammit she looks severe and then she plops a lion's mane on her head.

by Anonymousreply 68December 19, 2021 3:17 PM

Severe is a good word. She's at the age where she needs to put on some weight to soften her face. Remember Helen Gurley Brown? Terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 69December 19, 2021 3:49 PM

I dunno, I think AJLT is steering the derailed train that was the latter seasons of SATC (and movies). For instance, I'm glad they're starting to address the reoccurring fuck-you that is the way Carrie sidelines Stanford in every situation.

by Anonymousreply 70December 19, 2021 4:37 PM

Why did Stanford blame Charlotte?

by Anonymousreply 71December 19, 2021 4:39 PM

After all of those years of Carrie being a shitty friend they write Samantha out of the show as being a selfish cunt only caring about the money she could make from Carrie. Remember when Carrie just expected Charlotte to lend her the money to buy her apartment? Talk about thinking of a friend as an ATM.

by Anonymousreply 72December 19, 2021 4:56 PM

R65 or horse face?

Seriously, if SJP had a capacity to show Carrie in a self-deprecating manner that would be refreshing, but that will never happen.

by Anonymousreply 73December 19, 2021 5:28 PM

R72, especially ironic Carrie saying that when Samantha offered to bail her out without hesitation.

by Anonymousreply 74December 19, 2021 5:51 PM

The nasty meta-swipe at Kim C by way of Samantha really was the worst thing this show could have done, restarting the whole saga on a bitter note, which was wholly unnecessary.

Why couldn't Samantha have just moved to London for work without all the animus? People do that all the time!

by Anonymousreply 75December 19, 2021 5:53 PM

R75 Well I guess Cattrall is having the last laugh for now since all the reviews for the show are spectacularly embarrassingly bad.

by Anonymousreply 76December 19, 2021 6:03 PM

The Golden Girls did a sequel similar to AJLT called The Golden Palace, R60. They tried it without Bea Arthur and it flopped after 1 season.

by Anonymousreply 77December 19, 2021 6:39 PM

AJLT will get its two seasons, but if it stays preachy and dull, the novelty factor of seeing the girls again will wear off quickly and ratings will fall. HBO paid a pretty penny to get everyone back, and they're not going to keep the train going if there aren't substantial dividends.

by Anonymousreply 78December 19, 2021 7:06 PM

Watching Season 1 of SATC (for the first time). Carrie is closer to what SJP was playing in Square Pegs that what Carrie is now in AJLT.

by Anonymousreply 79December 19, 2021 8:10 PM

^bAnd much more likeable.

by Anonymousreply 80December 19, 2021 8:14 PM

Rotten Tomatoes is my bible for deciding whether to watch shows or not. It’s rated 31% out of 100. That’s terrible. I usually don’t watch anything less than 80%.

by Anonymousreply 81December 19, 2021 8:19 PM

The reviews have been horrible, as has fan reaction on Reddit and other places.

by Anonymousreply 82December 19, 2021 8:21 PM

Too much Cheryl. Although I think Sara Ramirez is awesome as an actress, the part is terrible. Obnoxious.

by Anonymousreply 83December 19, 2021 8:23 PM

I wonder why some of you watch it if you feel the way you do.

by Anonymousreply 84December 19, 2021 9:13 PM

I kind of hate watch it R84. Plus I enjoyed the original though I think it celebrated very shallow values.

by Anonymousreply 85December 19, 2021 9:16 PM

R85 - I feel the same, except I’d say I “cringe watch” it. I also immensely enjoyed the original series; unfortunately I did embody the shallow values they had back then. I look at these haggard old ladies (and the facial filler Charlotte) and sometimes gasp at how horrific they look.

by Anonymousreply 86December 19, 2021 9:28 PM

[quote] I wonder why some of you watch it if you feel the way you do.

I never understood this observation. Pop Culture reactions aren't reserved for only things you like. Hell, I enjoyed every miserable minute of lots of things I didn't like.

by Anonymousreply 87December 19, 2021 9:32 PM

I also watch only to see if they'll address the Brady Brady conundrum. The kid looks like a Brady Brady.

by Anonymousreply 88December 19, 2021 9:37 PM

R88,

Mystery solved. The character is credited as Brady [bold]Hobbes[/bold]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89December 19, 2021 10:28 PM

Some of you are more pathetic than I thought. If you don’t like it, don’t watch.

No one is worried about fucking critics. It’s 2021.

by Anonymousreply 90December 19, 2021 10:38 PM

Miranda's such a ball buster she even deprived Steve's kid of his surname, then married him, then dumped him. I'm kidding, but I find Miranda to be the saddest mess of this revival. By the end of the show, she had really evolved admirably... the anger faded, the reflexive hiss, she was in a good place. You liked her. Like Magda said: you love.

Now they've decided to squeeze the character into Cynthia Nixon's life story to au courant. I hope it's at least messy and complicated and her kid won't be like cool, bro but more WTF, mom? Messy, like real life, when everything someone grew up with is suddenly exposed at not what they thought. I hope they will at least throw us the bone of Miranda running for an office for which she is wildly unqualified and then having her ass handed to her.

by Anonymousreply 91December 19, 2021 10:40 PM

Miranda seems the same. Just older and drinking more than she should.

by Anonymousreply 92December 19, 2021 10:41 PM

Miranda and Steve should have been amicably divorced at the beginning of AJLT. That’s what would have happened in real life. Then show them being civil, friendly, still good parents. Nothing revolutionary, but not something we see a lot of onscreen.

by Anonymousreply 93December 19, 2021 10:56 PM

Ummm why would that have happened in real life r93? Many people stay married despite not being happy.

by Anonymousreply 94December 19, 2021 11:01 PM

Is the actress who played Magda alive? That's a character I'd love to have back. Magda always cracked me up, often just because of the actress's delivery of her lines - like when she buys Miranda a rolling pin and says "it is to make pies." Not funny on the page, but it just was when she says it.

by Anonymousreply 95December 19, 2021 11:21 PM

No. She’s dead.

by Anonymousreply 96December 19, 2021 11:23 PM

Now that you say it, I think I remember seeing a blurb. Man, that sucks. She had a great quest appearance on Master of None as Dev's girlfriend's grandma.

by Anonymousreply 97December 19, 2021 11:29 PM

She died (actress Lynn Cohen) a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 98December 19, 2021 11:57 PM

Che "comedic routine" perfectly encapsulated the whole non-binary mess. A non-binary yapping to a room filled with other non-binaries about their existence, acceptance and representation. She basically a twitter thread but in a human from. And off course there was the finger snappings and shameless narcissism ( cheer if you want me to fuck you! ).

by Anonymousreply 99December 20, 2021 7:14 AM

Wow, Chris Noth is being cancelled in a big, big way. Probably lucky they killed him off...

by Anonymousreply 100December 20, 2021 7:19 AM

They killed him off just in time.

The stand up bit wasn't the least bit funny. I have no idea why they thought it was a good idea to put Ramirez in this show. She's a loud, obnoxious, unfunny asshole.

BTW it's now ok to smoke pot indoors everywhere you go apparently and nobody complains like they would if you lit up a cigarette. WTF is that about.

by Anonymousreply 101December 20, 2021 7:24 AM

[quote] BTW it's now ok to smoke pot indoors everywhere you go apparently and nobody complains like they would if you lit up a cigarette. WTF is that about.

During COVID!

by Anonymousreply 102December 20, 2021 7:27 AM

Carrie sure did grieve Big's death quickly. I think she finally got what she has wanted for the past 20 years once the will was read and Natasha was mentioned - to go through every item of Big's obsessively for the snoop of a lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 103December 20, 2021 7:29 AM

Over on Reddit they're all having the same reaction to shit show, it's all "WTF are we watching? This is awful."

by Anonymousreply 104December 20, 2021 7:33 AM

"To this shit show" is what I meant to type. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 105December 20, 2021 7:34 AM

Che feels so forced and to be the character with the shock / crude factor that Samantha usually delivered. Sam was hilarious and Che is just not.

by Anonymousreply 106December 20, 2021 7:38 AM

R79 did you ever see Miami Rhapsody? The early Carrie was very similar and I have no doubt that’s where they got the idea to cast SJP to begin with.

But whatever SJP’s charms were in the 90s and early 00’s are totally gone now - Carrie has become totally severe, joyless and humorless - basically like her character in The Family Stone, but even worse. Her persona almost reminds me of Madonna’s at this point.

The original Carrie may have been selfish and all those things but (until the Russian at least) I usually still liked her in spite of all that, because SJP had a warmth, and humor that still got you to empathize. That’s totally gone now.

by Anonymousreply 107December 20, 2021 7:55 AM

What is Che supposed to teach me?

by Anonymousreply 108December 20, 2021 7:58 AM

SJP was never meant to be anything other than the DUFF (designated ugly funny/fat friend), like Natalie Green, and at the beginning, she was. But she wanted to be Blair.

by Anonymousreply 109December 20, 2021 8:19 AM

R109 That’s an allegory for life. We’re all Natalie Green just wanting to be Blair Warner.

by Anonymousreply 110December 20, 2021 11:21 AM

I just read that Sara Ramírez was married to a man until a few months ago. Funny how the most outspoken members of the “queer” community are almost ALWAYS in an opposite sex relationship. They keep up the shrill, freakshow routine with a bunch of fake non-problems because they have no concept of what an actual gay relationship is like.

See also: Vigilant BLM advocates with white wives.

by Anonymousreply 111December 20, 2021 11:30 AM

I'm re-watching the series from the beginning now. Carrie was cute in a quirky kind of way early on. She was skinny but still shapely and never wore a bra so she would have had men hitting on her.

However, I don't exactly buy these really good looking, successful charming guys like Big and that politician really chasing her. They may have hit on her and messed around with her but once she became a pain in the ass they would have moved right along because she really wasn't the type that those kind of men would have put a lot of effort into. They could have done a lot better.

Somewhere along the way SJP got too skinny to the point where it makes her face look too harsh and she really needs to lose the raccoon eyes.

by Anonymousreply 112December 20, 2021 11:54 AM

Some people on here seem to be confusing Sara Ramirez with her character. I think she's great on the show, even though her character is really annoying and unpleasant. It's not like she wrote the script herself.

by Anonymousreply 113December 20, 2021 12:11 PM

[quote]The original Carrie may have been selfish and all those things

I'm same as R112. Original recipe Carrie wasn't especially selfish. She was earthy, comic, quick witted, observant, warm, laughed a lot at life and muddling along. The death of the character was the introduction of the overbearing, arrogant Aidan. That's when she started lying about smoking, bending to be something she wasn't, for a guy. Which would have been a storyline except they weren't writing it that way, or if they were they caved to audience demand in response to lovely Aiden, who I recall was always really popular. That character was toxic for the Carrie character. It was also about this time she started becoming fabulous Carrie and Charlotte starting actually becoming Park Avenue Charlotte and, as I recall, the show exploded in popularity which, like all things, get killed trying to service and grow that popularity.

by Anonymousreply 114December 20, 2021 12:37 PM

I am really disappointed that they’re bringing ultimate doormat Aiden back. Worst character on the show for me. Funny how irl John Corbett is with Bo Derek but in the show he just can’t get over the true love of his life Carrie.

by Anonymousreply 115December 20, 2021 12:44 PM

R113 Sara isn't acting. She's that obnoxious in real life too.

R114 other way around. Carrie was the toxic one, not Aiden.

by Anonymousreply 116December 20, 2021 12:57 PM

I always Carrie was the toxic one with Aidan too. Lying, cheating with Big and all that doesn't make him the bad guy.

by Anonymousreply 117December 20, 2021 1:01 PM

Aiden was the boring nice guy. Way too nice. That made him boring. Carrie should have married him but she needed drama in her life.

They already explored the whole "Women aren't in to nice guys" thing with Skipper. And Steve in a way too. Miranda was always such a bitch to him but he kept coming back for more. I guess they wanted to show that men can be gluttons for punishment too.

by Anonymousreply 118December 20, 2021 1:07 PM

If anything, Aidan was a cuckold.

by Anonymousreply 119December 20, 2021 1:07 PM

Aidan should have sold the apartment beside Carrie's to a loud, gangster family

by Anonymousreply 120December 20, 2021 1:15 PM

Aiden was totally toxic... whiny, petulant, inflexible, smug... he had more boundaries than North Korea... "Carrie's" failing was putting up with him but the writer's failing was keeping him around like some paragon of boyfriendom. Focus group of one but I was so irritated with the episode where he was introduced I thought do I FF until she breaks his heart? Again, my theory is Aiden got kept past his shelf life once fangurls invented Carden of whatever the fuck they called them and the showrunners thought they saw gold. In fact it led Carrie down a path that made her as selfish as it did material. Bleh - Aiden.

by Anonymousreply 121December 20, 2021 2:18 PM

Aiden was too nice for Carrie but her craving for drama is a disorder in itself. She liked men who treated her like shit and played games. Her over the top reaction of vomiting when he wanted to marry her was ridiculous.

I guess I like nice boring stable guys who are good in bed. I would have even loved his little cabin in the country and his dog.

by Anonymousreply 122December 20, 2021 2:26 PM

Aidan wasn’t toxic to Carrie at all, it was the other way around. He tried to better her. It’s funny, when Aidan was introduced Carrie pursued him and the reason he gave for not wanting to get involved was that he was cheating on before. They never once mentioned that again when Carrie did the exact same thing to him.

I do think in real life the nicest guys end up with controlling, bitchy wives. So to me Aidan was the more realistic choice. Big was never realistic. For one, the power dynamic was off. Big treated her the way she treated Aidan. A guy like him wouldn’t take her seriously enough to marry her. Despite her Manolo Blahniks, she wasn’t really classy. She was more hipster. Natasha was good casting of who Big would’ve married and stayed with, at least for next 10 years or so. But this is all fantasy and SJP was orchestrating it because she truly was destined to be the nerdy sidekick.

by Anonymousreply 123December 20, 2021 2:27 PM

Aidan should have permanently dumped Carrie after the affair with Big.

by Anonymousreply 124December 20, 2021 2:28 PM

[quote]Despite her Manolo Blahniks, she wasn’t really classy.

Smacking gum and lighting cigs in peoples homes without asking isn't classy?

by Anonymousreply 125December 20, 2021 2:35 PM

They seem to have a problem letting go on this show. Big should’ve been gone after Natasha. Aidan should’ve been gone after the affair. Yet, Aidan was brought back for the film in a really unrealistic way. This after there was closure in the show showing that Aidan married and had a child. But nobody can quit Carrie. In this reboot no only will we see Aidan, but Berger too. I’m assuming it’ll be High Fidelity style of her revisiting her past relationships to see why they didn’t work. Who knows though.

by Anonymousreply 126December 20, 2021 2:41 PM

Aidan was definitely more realistic for Carrie. He was good looking and successful but not some sort of business titan. He was in a kind of creative field so he was more on Carrie's level and she would have fit in better in that world.

Guys like Big wind up with models or the daughters of other business titans/heiress types. They don't marry broke, marginally attractive, quirky boho chicks.

by Anonymousreply 127December 20, 2021 2:48 PM

Aiden didn't allow Carrie to be a victim, and that was the dealbreaker.

by Anonymousreply 128December 20, 2021 2:56 PM

If they must pair her with someone, it should be someone new.

I didn't really like Petrovsky (but didn't hate him like some DLrs), but thinking back on him and Carrie makes me laugh. He sort of trolled her in a grand way - gave her a lot of attention and grand gesture for stretches, but then would pull WAY back. And of course he ignored her when they got to Paris. I think he ultimately looked down on her - not so much for anything specific - but just because she was always living a dream in her head and would meltdown when the dream wasn't reality. He was much more a pragmatist - a sometimes selfish and inconsiderate pragmatist, but still.

by Anonymousreply 129December 20, 2021 3:05 PM

That may be, R110, but when you're filmed next to someone who was voted The Most Beautiful Woman in the World, even Blair Warner would have to take a back seat.

by Anonymousreply 130December 20, 2021 3:24 PM

Aidan definitely should have been endgame guy. He treated her like an equal, introduced her to his family, didn't need constant drama and attention: He fucking refinished her floors!

by Anonymousreply 131December 20, 2021 3:26 PM

Petrovsky was a rich older man looking for a sugar baby. He was mature enough not to want one the same age as his daughter, but he still wanted a fun, sexy younger woman who would cater to him while not demanding too much of him emotionally. In return, he'd spoil the shit out of her, at least for a few years. It would have been a great experience for someone who wasn't looking for marriage or kids and liked luxury and adventure--a Samantha type. Of course, Carrie overanalyzed everything and fucked it up in a few months.

by Anonymousreply 132December 20, 2021 3:29 PM

Carrie shouldn't have ended up with anyone. There was an alternate ending filmed where Carrie comes back from Paris, leaving Petrovsky AND Big. That was the way to go, but it would've been too much for most fraus to handle who lived vicariously through Carrie. Carrie is the most fun when she is single and just casually dating a string of inappropriate men.

by Anonymousreply 133December 20, 2021 3:40 PM

SJP is always going to be SanDeE* to me.

by Anonymousreply 134December 20, 2021 3:45 PM

The most WTF moment in the original for me was when Carrie meets Petrovsky's ex-wife, who's played by the uber-fabulous Carole Bouquet. Yes, you'd go from that to Carrie...

by Anonymousreply 135December 20, 2021 3:47 PM

It was so incredibly smart of Kim not to come back. Back in the day, Samantha represented excess in a more conservative traditional world, and now the entire world is about excess... excess emotionalism, entitlement, you name it. Kim knew there would be no place for Sam anymore because nothing she can do would shock people today. She was the trailblazer for all of it. That was the genius of Kim Cattrall.

by Anonymousreply 136December 20, 2021 4:01 PM

I really wish SJP would be killed off; of course that will never happen with her as Executive Producer. In my version, Samantha would come back, and the girls would gab about how awful Carrie was to each of them, telling stories over cosmos and eventually burning a picture of her wearing that ridiculous ballerina tutu. Carrie has become a humorless, depressed, empty shell, after all her years of superficiality and whoring. I’m superficial and a man whore but I still have my wit.

by Anonymousreply 137December 20, 2021 4:07 PM

R136, GMAB, KC would’ve come back for the right place. So please don’t act like she is some virtuous pioneer who knew when things should end. If that was the case, she wouldn’t have done those dreadful movies.

by Anonymousreply 138December 20, 2021 4:30 PM

Kim definitely made the right decision. What a fucking train wreck.

If Kim had come back, Samantha would probably now be dating special guest star Laverne Cox.

Kim knew it was time to say no and move on.

by Anonymousreply 139December 20, 2021 4:54 PM

I wish they would just throw a fuckton of money at Kim and just have her shoot her own story in London. She’d never have to work with those cunts again and she could say no to embarrassing sex scenes.

Though I suppose they already thought of that and got shot down.

by Anonymousreply 140December 20, 2021 5:27 PM

This is SJP’s one role and she’s determined to keep going back to that well, the failure of Divorce (kept alive by HBO longer than it should because of their relationship with her) reminding her of how limited her appeal is.

by Anonymousreply 141December 20, 2021 5:31 PM

R141, I don't understand your point at all.

by Anonymousreply 142December 20, 2021 5:38 PM

If AJTL doesn't prove a long-term hit, there won't be any more HBO series for SJP. Carrie is her in with the network.

by Anonymousreply 143December 20, 2021 5:39 PM

I sort of liked Divorce. It wasn't appointment television doesn't ever need to be rewatched. But, it was decent.

by Anonymousreply 144December 20, 2021 5:47 PM

I liked Divorce too. Love Thomas Hayden Chuch and Molly Shannon. Was it canceled or just meant as a short run series?

by Anonymousreply 145December 20, 2021 6:02 PM

Miranda's eulogy line of "He left a Big [pause] hole [pause]...." takes on another layer of meaning with the sexual assault allegations involving an alleged victim's trip to the hospital for stitches.

by Anonymousreply 146December 20, 2021 6:17 PM

I just can’t believe Broderick has stayed with her. Is he there for the money? I can’t imagine how much more awful she is behind closed doors. I feel bad for him.

by Anonymousreply 147December 20, 2021 6:18 PM

I don't think there's any evidence she's so awful in private. Have there been any horror stories about her as a person?

by Anonymousreply 148December 20, 2021 6:20 PM

Well, this is odd. I see R1-R16 and nothing else. No OP and not the rest of the posts.

by Anonymousreply 149December 20, 2021 6:40 PM

"I just can’t believe Broderick has stayed with her. Is he there for the money? I can’t imagine how much more awful she is behind closed doors. I feel bad for him."

I actually think she's markedly better behind closed doors. SJP isn't Carrie. She's not perfect, but nothing has ever made me think SJP is an awful person.

by Anonymousreply 150December 20, 2021 6:42 PM

SJP just seems humorless to me. But who knows what she’s like around her family.

by Anonymousreply 151December 20, 2021 6:48 PM

I heard SJP is actually very nice. You can't confuse TV characters with actors who portray them. That's venturing into crazy soap fanatic frau territory.

by Anonymousreply 152December 20, 2021 7:44 PM

I want one of the podcast characters to report Che to HR

by Anonymousreply 153December 20, 2021 7:46 PM

I've seen SJP out and about twice and she was incredibly nice, even in a situation where she didn't "need" to be.

by Anonymousreply 154December 20, 2021 7:49 PM

I've never heard anything bad about her behavior otherwise but the way she handled Kim's refusal to reprise her role was kind of cunty.

by Anonymousreply 155December 20, 2021 7:54 PM

I do think she’s probably a very nice person. I also think she might be unhealthily obsessed with wealth and things due to her upbringing. Btw, wasn’t she a child star? That means she was earning money at a young age. When was she actually poor?

by Anonymousreply 156December 20, 2021 7:54 PM

I'll chime in and say that I worked with her husband around 1999 and had occasion to meet her a few times and she was always cordial and kind, and I was in a lowly position back then, so she did not have to kiss my ass.

by Anonymousreply 157December 20, 2021 8:02 PM

^ Whatever. She chews gum during TV appearance, she’s worse than Hitler.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158December 20, 2021 10:02 PM

SJP looked great ^

by Anonymousreply 159December 20, 2021 10:08 PM

^ She did, twelve years ago.

by Anonymousreply 160December 20, 2021 10:10 PM

r111

MTV has a dating show where they get scientifically matched with another contestant and if they pick the person that is their match, they get money. A few seasons ago, they did a gay/bi/fluid season and in the end ALL the contestants were scientifically paired with the opposite sex.. I found that very interesting

by Anonymousreply 161December 20, 2021 10:45 PM

In real life, Carrie would have become Lexi Featherstone if she hadn't fallen out a window. An over the hill party girl or someone who had a circle closer to Amalita Amalfi. Her materialism, label whoring, and low class behavior would never have worked for Big or Petrovsky. She would have been the pump and dump, the side piece.

I've heard SJP is a tyrannical bitch on set. has a problem with women, and treats the PA's like shit. She is better around men, which I believe. Most of her close friends are gay men.

by Anonymousreply 162December 21, 2021 6:58 AM

What could the writers really do? Are older people's lives really that interesting, apart from serene domestic life, predictable losses and unexpected tragedies? And do we really want to see that?

by Anonymousreply 163December 21, 2021 7:09 AM

I’ve always heard nice stories about her as well. But in her acting roles (for the past decade at least) she does project total humorlessness - and not just Carrie. That recent Vogue interview as well, good God.

by Anonymousreply 164December 21, 2021 7:16 AM

I've said it before but I think she was really hurt being voted "Worlds Unsexiest Woman", all the jokes about her looking like a horse/foot, and her movies flopping. I do understand why she keeps going back to Carrie, must be scary to realise you are no longer popular or in demand.

by Anonymousreply 165December 21, 2021 1:35 PM

It’s become a wide-eyed, slack jawed Minstrel show of political correctness.

by Anonymousreply 166December 21, 2021 2:35 PM

Just watch episode 2. So dreary! Big was always a mythic character so the time spent on his funeral was unnecessary.

The whole funeral proceedings were so antiseptic that it was near impossible to care.

Cynthia Nixon is trying her damnedest with the shitty scripts!

Poor Kristen. I so wish she’d come as herself and not gone for injections.

There is no joy in this show.

(I know many were offended that Samantha only sent flowers but they were gorgeous so we should accept that she appropriately expressed her love, knowing that Kim didn’t want to be part of this clusterfuck.

by Anonymousreply 167December 21, 2021 10:59 PM

It was among the least moving or sentimental funerals for a TV character that I've ever seen. Even WILL & GRACE'S funeral for Rosario was more heartfelt, for crying out loud.

Why was everything so spartan and sterile? Why did Big's brother give a two-line eulogy and make it about Carrie?? And Miranda's eulogy - written by Carrie! - could have been made by a child about to flush a dead goldfish down the toilet.

by Anonymousreply 168December 21, 2021 11:11 PM

I liked the part in the funeral when Che told everyone she was gonna blow pot smoke up their pussies.

by Anonymousreply 169December 21, 2021 11:19 PM

Oh, honey, that was nothing compared to the riderless horse.

by Anonymousreply 170December 22, 2021 2:00 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171December 22, 2021 2:09 AM

[quote] No one is worried about fucking critics. It’s 2021.

Speak for yourself. Critics serve a purpose to some of us, mostly those of us whose taste falls in line with the average critic.

by Anonymousreply 172December 22, 2021 2:24 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173December 22, 2021 2:26 AM

Jesus, r173, that photo is going to give me nightmares.

by Anonymousreply 174December 22, 2021 2:28 AM

I think that’s Cynthia’s usual dyke day wear as she directed that episode.

by Anonymousreply 175December 22, 2021 2:28 AM

Oh, okay, R175. I was gonna say, the look isn't that bad at all, just a big jump for Miranda. Carrie looks appropriately ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 176December 22, 2021 2:30 AM

Making SJP look flabby is near on impossible but they have done it.

by Anonymousreply 177December 22, 2021 2:39 AM

R173, SJP’s chin looks like a cow’s udder there!

by Anonymousreply 178December 22, 2021 7:31 AM

R173 nah actresses seem to always dress like that when they’re directing.

by Anonymousreply 179December 22, 2021 7:36 AM

Re: The Rotten Tomatoes reviews - the lower score (31%) is currently based on audience reviews, though the critics reviews (58%) aren't great either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180December 22, 2021 9:35 AM

Steve and Anthony are the only normal people on the show.

If they do Steve dirty…

by Anonymousreply 181December 22, 2021 2:55 PM

Agreed, Anthony is much more likeable here - and his approach to Rose and the non binary stuff is a common sense one. I suspect Steve will get screwed over. Shame, he was one of the most relateable characters.

by Anonymousreply 182December 22, 2021 3:50 PM

Anthony’s response to the non binary situation was the best thing this reboot has done so far. The only time I was moved during the first three episodes was when Carrie opens the card and it says Love, Samantha. It reminded me of the friendships I have had to leave over the years—but we still care.

by Anonymousreply 183December 22, 2021 4:13 PM

r183, I very strongly agree

by Anonymousreply 184December 22, 2021 4:38 PM

The pandering to woke ideology is so over-the-top, it's like parody.

I watched the first 3 eps, and so far...

We've got a Mexican "non-binary" character.

A shout-out to "How to Be an Anti-Racist".

A child questioning her gender identity.

Miranda, a seasoned, professional corporate lawyer, now turns into a blithering idiot whenever in the presence of a black person.

Miranda is apparently also about to become a carpet muncher (although who can blame her? Listening to Steve's voice for years would turn any woman lez)

The "black hair" issue has been addressed.

An overlong, endless, painfully unfunny "standup" routine lecturing us about all things queer.

It's...a lot.

by Anonymousreply 185December 22, 2021 5:07 PM

And the black professor who Miranda sucks up to is portrayed as a morally pure saint. Black people aren't even allowed to play flawed people anymore, that's how much this has become a religious movement. The whites must be servile crawling around them like dogs but never being absolved.

by Anonymousreply 186December 22, 2021 5:23 PM

"And the black professor who Miranda sucks up to is portrayed as a morally pure saint."

Lol. What are you talking about.? What were they supposed to do - reveal an underlying crack addiction? In those brief scenes, I didn't get "morally pure." I don't think she was elevated in anyway. It's just that they regressed Miranda so much in her stumbling and bumbling.

by Anonymousreply 187December 22, 2021 5:36 PM

R185 & r186 are fucking nuts who see shit that isn’t there. Trolldar them. It’s all right wing “everything’s woke” crackery.

by Anonymousreply 188December 22, 2021 6:28 PM

r188 I happen to think Black people deserve more than the limitations put on them to be portrayed as always right and always superior. They have stories to tell as well.

by Anonymousreply 189December 22, 2021 6:42 PM

[quote] I suspect Steve will get screwed over.

Good writers would have Miranda go through her thing and come full circle back to understanding she is where she should and wants to be. I am rewatching the series from the start... she and Steve went through a lot to make it work, but they did. This late life dismantling of Miranda kinda sucks. My wokesaurus says it's not authentic.

by Anonymousreply 190December 22, 2021 6:51 PM

I wonder if Miranda was still in shock getting that hot Doctor after that awful man who shat with the bathroom door open? Maybe she has some form of retrograde shock syndrome?

by Anonymousreply 191December 22, 2021 8:11 PM

Cynthia Nixon has GOT to get her teeth cleaned, How do they let her on TV with her brown smile? Ordinary people don’t even have such bad teeth, never mind celebs.

by Anonymousreply 192December 22, 2021 8:48 PM

R181 Is it just me or has Steve gotten sexier and hotter with age.

by Anonymousreply 193December 22, 2021 8:56 PM

R171, and yet Cynthia looks better dressed than anyone else on the show.

by Anonymousreply 194December 22, 2021 9:03 PM

"Is it just me or has Steve gotten sexier and hotter with age. "

IMO, less hot, but I never found him hot. The increased baby voice is just grating. Then again I always despised Steve. So, lust away. Enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 195December 22, 2021 9:46 PM

The show is stupid.

Cynthia Nixon is playing Miranda like some MAGA thing that is getting born again.

by Anonymousreply 196December 22, 2021 10:18 PM

New promo.. it looks so exciting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197December 22, 2021 11:39 PM

R197 what the fuck is Carrie wearing?

by Anonymousreply 198December 23, 2021 1:31 AM

R198 One could say that about any outfit that Carrie wears.

by Anonymousreply 199December 23, 2021 1:54 AM

Right, R199. It's one of the points of the entire series.

by Anonymousreply 200December 23, 2021 2:00 AM

My coworker would blowdry SJP’s hair when we worked on a Bleecker St. salon together years ago. It would take an hour becuase her hair is so friend and gnarly.

I can’t wait until they’re all 100 and they bring them back shuffling around in wheelchairs- grinning though dentures and underneath wigs.

Maybe that’ll finally fix the hair and teeth.

by Anonymousreply 201December 23, 2021 4:32 AM

I have a feeling they'll just keep doing the SATC shit until they're all elderly.

by Anonymousreply 202December 23, 2021 4:45 AM

AJTL will get two seasons, though they may cut down the episodes for season 2 (6 instead of 10). It will get quietly canceled after that: The Noth thing will be too hard to get around.

Kim Cattrall was smart to avoid this trainwreck.

by Anonymousreply 203December 23, 2021 5:25 AM

I wonder if everyone knew about Chris Noth all along and even knew he was going to be exposed.

by Anonymousreply 204December 23, 2021 5:33 AM

Kim Cattrall knew this was going to be a shitshow (just look at the second movie) and she wisely declined to have anything to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 205December 23, 2021 5:40 AM

If they'd known, why wouldn't they have killed off Big prior to the beginning of the series? That way, at least he wouldn't be a problematic part of the new episodes.

by Anonymousreply 206December 23, 2021 5:40 AM

Cattrall told them to recast Samantha: That shows you how deeply she was done. She was never going to come back, not for a movie, not for a TV season, not even for a cameo. DONE.

by Anonymousreply 207December 23, 2021 5:41 AM

Chris Noth, allegedly, didn't want to do it at all but he knew that he would never hear the end of it if he didn't show up. He told them he would do only one or possibly two episodes but they would have to kill him off. He was totally over SATC a long time ago.

Of course then the sexual assault stuff happened and everything changed. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise for the show itself.

by Anonymousreply 208December 23, 2021 5:43 AM

I read that Cynthia insisted she get a muff-diving storyline as a condition of coming back

by Anonymousreply 209December 23, 2021 6:12 AM

Someone should pitch a show to HBO that just has Samantha living her best life in London with three awesome new friends! It will succeed just out of spite and end up with 7 seasons.

I'm just not sure what it should be called, maybe "No More Horsing Around" to payback SJP for the not so subtle insult, and insinuation of Cattrall, of Samantha just caring about money and being a bad friend.

by Anonymousreply 210December 23, 2021 6:13 AM

I am still laughing at Pelaton, they really got screwed in all this.

by Anonymousreply 211December 23, 2021 6:15 AM

Did Cattrall do Samantha with a certain accent in mind? It sounds a bit upper crust but certainly not mid-atlantic.

by Anonymousreply 212December 23, 2021 6:19 AM

hahaha, poor Cynthia Nixon!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213December 23, 2021 6:25 AM

Why are Cynthia Nixon's teeth so brown? I don't think she smokes.

by Anonymousreply 214December 23, 2021 6:46 AM

I can never understand why people don't fix discoloured teeth. Maybe not a full dental restoration with veneers or crowns, but at least teeth whitening. Julianne Moore also springs to mind.

by Anonymousreply 215December 23, 2021 6:54 AM

Why do people in their mid-late-50s have to be so woke? They can modify their language, refrain from insulting people, but why can't they stick to their own lives, own circle, own values? Why do they have to be brought up to date?

by Anonymousreply 216December 23, 2021 6:59 AM

I've had a gut-full of accusers who come forth 20 years after the alleged crime took place when there is no evidence. There should be a statute of limitations on such accusations.

by Anonymousreply 217December 23, 2021 8:03 AM

Probably antibiotics or something as a child

Or all the clam juice

by Anonymousreply 218December 23, 2021 9:36 AM

R208 I don't see this is a blessing in disguise. The show knew Noth was a piece of trash and chose to kill off his character instead of addressing his sexual assaults?

by Anonymousreply 219December 23, 2021 10:39 AM

So episode 4 was a change of pace. It was like a mid-range episode of the original show.

The major things of any note was Stanford being clumsily written off and Carrie reclaiming her single identity in a tutu.

I liked Sarita Choudhury as Seema because she seemed Samantha-like in that she straight talks Carrie and doesn’t indulge her bullshit without getting angry.

by Anonymousreply 220December 23, 2021 11:39 AM

How was Stanford written off?

by Anonymousreply 221December 23, 2021 11:44 AM

Ep 4 was a total cringefest. I can't even imagine a scene such as Charlotte's evening with her so-called black counterpart. She's a wealthy, educated, dignified woman in her mid-50s.

by Anonymousreply 222December 23, 2021 12:21 PM

Stanford left Carrie a note saying he was leaving NYC to go to Tokyo. He left Anthony a note saying he wanted a divorce.

Apparently Stanford is the manager of a teenage girl Japanese TikTokker.

by Anonymousreply 223December 23, 2021 12:39 PM

[quote]Someone should pitch a show to HBO that just has Samantha living her best life in London with three awesome new friends!

And the friends should be Joanna Lumley and Jennifer Saunders and...

by Anonymousreply 224December 23, 2021 1:02 PM

Seema is the most interesting of the new characters. And she’s effortlessly stylish. For me, Nixon is the standout this season.

by Anonymousreply 225December 23, 2021 1:03 PM

Interesting how Sarita and Sara are listed in the credits with the main cast members and Nicole and Karen are listed are guest stars. Seema is clearly the new Samantha.

by Anonymousreply 226December 23, 2021 1:21 PM

R224 Dawn French so the show isn’t sizeist, or Michelle Yeoh, so it doesn’t appear racist.

by Anonymousreply 227December 23, 2021 1:30 PM

Ugh the way they wrote Stanford off is so cringy.

by Anonymousreply 228December 23, 2021 1:44 PM

So did Carrie clean up that mess with the coffee?

by Anonymousreply 229December 23, 2021 3:27 PM

They could have written Stanford out with Covid. Does the show make any reference to the virus or show people wearing masks? It seems like a lot of shows make reference to it, but don't deal with the realities of the virus like wearing masks, knowing someone who had to isolate

by Anonymousreply 230December 23, 2021 4:46 PM

I have to say I got one good laugh out of this trainwreck - "I don't get it. We were so happy."

by Anonymousreply 231December 23, 2021 4:50 PM

[quote]I don't see this is a blessing in disguise. The show knew Noth was a piece of trash and chose to kill off his character instead of addressing his sexual assaults?

They didn't know.

by Anonymousreply 232December 23, 2021 4:56 PM

Horrible episode that continues to check off every fucking box. This week is was the boss in the wheelchair.

I will say Sarita Chowdhury is wonderful, but I have always liked her and it's great to see her in a different kind of role. I don't love Nicole Ari Parker's character, but she's doing a lot to make her more palatable. I find Miranda's professor one big bore. They have no idea what to do with her character, and the actress brings nothing to the table.

The way they wrote Stanford out was almost as clumsy and ham handed as the scene with Carrie and the broken picture frame.

All that being said- enjoying hate watching this POS.

by Anonymousreply 233December 23, 2021 4:57 PM

Who's that impertinent turd in the wheelchair telling Carrie to "get your socials up"? Why is she even bothering with this shit?

by Anonymousreply 234December 23, 2021 5:06 PM

They could have said Stanford went away to have some work done and then he returns played by Ed Harris.

by Anonymousreply 235December 23, 2021 5:07 PM

R234 - yes they should do a homage to the Kiss of Death movie scene and push her down a slight of stairs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236December 23, 2021 5:09 PM

If they knew Wille Garson was that ill, they should have filmed his goodbye scene first. If Stanford were only brought back for that one scene, it would have been better than showing him being bitchy at a funeral and then running away. What horseshit.

by Anonymousreply 237December 23, 2021 5:11 PM

R234 Isn’t that Tony winner Ali Stroker?

by Anonymousreply 238December 23, 2021 5:13 PM

Yes, the audience was desperate for a Stanford good bye scene. He was such a big part of the show.

by Anonymousreply 239December 23, 2021 5:16 PM

Stanford was her best gay friend. He’s been popping in and out since episode 1 of the OG show.

by Anonymousreply 240December 23, 2021 5:18 PM

Do you know any other crippled blonde actresses, R238?

by Anonymousreply 241December 23, 2021 5:20 PM

I loved episode 4. I found it funny, lighter than the previous episodes (mostly) and honest. Charlotte’s behavior was true to character. Remember when she wanted to become a Jew for Harry. That’s how she is and she needs to be the best at everything she sets her mind to.

by Anonymousreply 242December 23, 2021 5:20 PM

Charlotte is so disingenuous and snobbish. I doubt she was inviting any waitresses or store owners to her soiree. She's as interesting as drying paint.

by Anonymousreply 243December 23, 2021 5:26 PM

R241 I’m not 4238 but one comes to mind.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244December 23, 2021 5:36 PM

I always wanted to dropkick Kathy. She irritated the shit out of me.

by Anonymousreply 245December 23, 2021 5:40 PM

Charlotte seemed fairly harmless in the original show, but now she’s actively irritating.

by Anonymousreply 246December 23, 2021 5:41 PM

There is a weirdo on here who keeps commenting how nice SJP is in real life with different stories of meeting her yet it’s all the same person lmao

by Anonymousreply 247December 23, 2021 5:45 PM

I think it's funny how Che doesn't shake hands with people, but sexually harasses them.

by Anonymousreply 248December 23, 2021 5:45 PM

R246 she behaved like this on the OG show too. Minus the hormonal crying, but she’s 55 now.

by Anonymousreply 249December 23, 2021 5:45 PM

Only one scene with Che so this episode was more watchable.

I'm realizing that, along with Samantha of course, it was Carrie's narration that gave SATC a spark/energy. This show is so flat without the narration. When it finally comes in at the very end, it's jarring. SJP's voice sounds bored and resigned.

by Anonymousreply 250December 23, 2021 5:47 PM

r246 Did you forget "SET THE DATE!!!!!"?

by Anonymousreply 251December 23, 2021 5:49 PM

If they reboot this thing again in 15 years, they can show how Charlotte's children have both moved far away from their embarrassing, meddling mother.

by Anonymousreply 252December 23, 2021 5:50 PM

Agree r246. Maybe it more screen time, but it’s something.

This whole woke shit is boring. Charlotte running around trying to get more blacks for her dinner party? Come on writers, do better.

by Anonymousreply 253December 23, 2021 5:52 PM

Kim's legacy is preserved but everyone has associated with the show has destroyed theirs. The only one who came out looking impressive was Natasha.

by Anonymousreply 254December 23, 2021 5:55 PM

Bridget Moynahan did come out of this well. Her character was given a sympathetic ending to her arc while staying true to Natasha as she was originally written.

T

by Anonymousreply 255December 23, 2021 5:59 PM

I don't know if Cattrall is smart or just lucky, but it's clearer and clearer that she was right to stay clear of this mess. Maybe after playing Samantha for so long, she simply understood that there was no place in the show for a Sam in her 60s. Either Sam would be a pathetic Mrs. Robinson caricature OR she'd have matured to the point where she was no longer bawdy and rebellious: i. e., no longer a Sam with any fun stories to tell. And given that the only story we heard about was the Grady sexting storyline, EW.

by Anonymousreply 256December 23, 2021 6:02 PM

They've turned SATC into a boorish, box ticking woke opera. All of the characters belonging to *minority* groups seem to be as wealthy and vacuous as the three main women.

by Anonymousreply 257December 23, 2021 6:02 PM

R253 I’m a man of color and don’t see the issue with that. It rang true to me and felt honest. Some of you are truly complaining just to complain. Maybe you need to see someone about that. The writing was actually good.

Charlotte likes Lisa a lot, and wants to continue to grow their friendship. Upon inviting her to dinner she notices that everyone she knows is white, meaning Lisa and her hubby will be the only black people there. To most people that is not an issue but to someone like Charlotte, who is all about social climbing, status and image, and who must be the best at all things, she does not want Lisa to see that her circle of friends have always been white and wants to appear more worldly and sophisticated, with a diverse group of people around her. The whole reasoning is self-explained. It’s not even about making Lisa feel comfortable as much as it is about Lisa thinking anything negative about her having only white friends.

Later she goes to Lisa’s and realizes that her circle of friends is all black minus Charlotte. In the end they understood each other and bonded.

I liked it.

by Anonymousreply 258December 23, 2021 6:04 PM

I need a safe space from Che

by Anonymousreply 259December 23, 2021 6:05 PM

Why does that freak literally keep posting over and over? This is getting creepy.

by Anonymousreply 260December 23, 2021 6:05 PM

Yes, [R256] they already humiliated Samantha enough in the second film, her trying to seduce Miranda's teenage son would have been a step too far

by Anonymousreply 261December 23, 2021 6:06 PM

The Samantha storyline was supposed to be for the third film that Kim got canned, and Brady was supposed to be 13 at the time.

by Anonymousreply 262December 23, 2021 6:24 PM

Episode 4 impressions

Good:

1. The pacing is better.

2. Professor's husband is hot

3. Miranda's interaction with the professor was much better, much more balanced, and more believable for Miranda.

4. I don't mind the "pairing off" of each of the character's with their POC counterpart, as forced as it may be. I've always liked Sarita Choudhury and Carrie meeting her through real estate works. And I've also liked Nicole Ari Parker and her and Charlotte both being part of a school mom group work. We'll see on Che and Miranda - I've been negative so far.

5. I'm accepting it as a new show, not really SATC. It's not great, but it's better than the first few episodes. I do like having some call backs - like Carrie in her old apartment. I hope she stays there.

6. Carrie's meltdown about the picture. At first it bugged me, but I've grieved and seen people grieve and small things set people off; that's real.

BAD

1. Charlotte's fumbling and bumbling over getting another black couple or person for her dinner. So stupid and cloying. Her friends would understand. Also, her initial faux pas at the dinner, including misidentifying the younger woman, and her continued "desperation" about doing the right thing for her black friend. Most sane people care if you're well-intentioned and a decent person, not that you completely get everything about their group and culture.

2. The podcast crew. It just isn't hitting for me.

3. The constant "lessons". I'm not completely anti-woke, anti-broader commentary, but there's better ways to present ideas without driving them home with a sledgehammer. Seema's whole thing about "it's great that you're still putting yourself out there" -- days after the fact - as a lesson that we have to always be vigilant about not offending, because offending (even with no bad intention) is the worst thing ever. Plus, it ends on "and now that we know we're equal opportunity offenders, we can be friends. Cringe."

4. Brady's girlfriend - does she live there? Geesh.

5. Stanford's write out (or the beginning of it). Yeah, their hands were tied, but come on.

by Anonymousreply 263December 23, 2021 6:49 PM

Speaking as someone who has gotten black co workers confused I cringed deeply when Charlotte made a similar mistake so let’s not pretend it never happens. Fortunately for me everyone involved was kind and had a sense of humor and laughed it off. But I died inside.

by Anonymousreply 264December 23, 2021 6:54 PM

True, it may happen R264, but didn't Charlotte mistake someone who was maybe 35 years younger than her friends' mom?

by Anonymousreply 265December 23, 2021 6:57 PM

Beyond all the specifics, I will simply say that I enjoyed the episode overall.

by Anonymousreply 266December 23, 2021 6:58 PM

Carrie is getting hip surgery!

by Anonymousreply 267December 23, 2021 8:04 PM

R263 “Most sane people care if you're well-intentioned and a decent person, not that you completely get everything about their group and culture.”

While that is true, someone like Charlotte, who just made, what seems to be her first friend who isn’t white, may go above the norm to make sure they know what is hot in “black culture” for talking points and to look highly cultured, even if it’s artificial.

The part about mistaking the black woman for another is very common with white people, so I can’t see how that’s an issue. I’ve seen it happen many times, and to me, even though I’m not black, it’s offensive, but it happens.

The part about finding a black couple for the dinner was not about Lisa, it was about Charlotte. Charlotte is all about status, appearance, social climbing etc. she wants to give a certain “worldly, cultured” appearance off to Lisa, which doesn’t come across the same when everyone in the room is white.

by Anonymousreply 268December 23, 2021 8:04 PM

What bothers me more than anything is the depiction of everyone drinking coffee all the time, or first thing in the morning. Many people do but not everyone drinks coffee, and some people who do drink coffee still don’t first thing in the morning because it hurts their stomachs or whatever their reasons are.

Some people don’t like coffee.

by Anonymousreply 269December 23, 2021 8:07 PM

R263 Miranda’s POC pairing is the teacher, not Che. Che is her soon to be lesbian lover but not new friend.

by Anonymousreply 270December 23, 2021 8:09 PM

Why is Luisa always at Miranda’s? Miranda even seems confused by it and asks if they accidentally adopted her in episode 3. Where are her parents? She’s a minor. I doubt they would be ok with her never being home.

by Anonymousreply 271December 23, 2021 8:11 PM

I loathe Brady's girlfriend. She's completely annoying. If Samantha were there, she'd put her in her place and have her slinking off in shame in five minutes.

by Anonymousreply 272December 23, 2021 8:20 PM

OMG, the Mr. Coffee thing was so ridiculous. Has she never made coffee before? Why the fuck was the tank filled for two full pots of coffee? (Never mind why, let's try HOW? The water tanks can't accommodate more than what will fit in the pot.)

by Anonymousreply 273December 23, 2021 8:21 PM

R273 that’s the same coffee machine she’s had since the 90s. It’s not only that she put too much water, it’s that the machine was messed up.

by Anonymousreply 274December 23, 2021 8:23 PM

"Miranda’s POC pairing is the teacher, not Che. Che is her soon to be lesbian lover but not new friend."

Of course. I don't know why I missed that when typing up my review and directly talking about Miranda and the professor. Like I said earlier, their interaction was much more grounded and balanced this episode.

by Anonymousreply 275December 23, 2021 8:23 PM

[quote] [R273] that’s the same coffee machine she’s had since the 90s. It’s not only that she put too much water, it’s that the machine was messed up.

I understand that. My points were that A- she'd know how to use the machine and B- There's no way what happened could happen. There was a full up to the very top pot of coffee, a good third of a pot of coffee spilled on the counter, and even more coffee sputtering out of it. Not possible.

by Anonymousreply 276December 23, 2021 8:26 PM

You need some real problems, r269.

by Anonymousreply 277December 23, 2021 8:28 PM

They're all ridiculously overdressed for day-to-day "just hanging around NYC" living. IRL people on the street would look sideways and snicker.

by Anonymousreply 278December 23, 2021 8:40 PM

They’ve always overdressed. Especially Carrie. I’m shocked some of you are just noticing.

by Anonymousreply 279December 23, 2021 8:42 PM

Carrie leaving her apartment in what looked like a half a wedding dress and a sweater - that's about as Carrie as it gets. That was always the show.

by Anonymousreply 280December 23, 2021 8:43 PM

Charlotte and her mom crew annoy me with their dressed to the nines, hair and makeup at school drop off schtick.

You might see some working moms in suits, but no SAHMs sashaying around in dresses.

by Anonymousreply 281December 23, 2021 8:43 PM

They should have waited a few more episodes and killed off Stanford off camera. Not like they can bring him back. I assume they didn’t want to have a second character death but everyone knows the actor is gone and I think the audience would have liked to see his character honored.

by Anonymousreply 282December 23, 2021 8:57 PM

First a used condom on the bedroom floor and now dirty underwear on the kitchen floor? Wtf? Why is Brady such a gross fucking slob?

by Anonymousreply 283December 23, 2021 9:17 PM

Because Magda is no longer there r283.

by Anonymousreply 284December 23, 2021 9:20 PM

Stanford's death from COVID would have made sense. Or they could have had him in a bad car accident offscreen. His funeral could have been briefly shown or we could have seen Carrie getting back from his funeral. Her way of grieving could have been contrasted with Anthony's.

There were a LOT of ways to do it better than they did it. It almost seems petulant, as if the producers were angry that Garson wouldn't crawl off his deathbed to film one more scene with SJP.

by Anonymousreply 285December 23, 2021 9:21 PM

Are we to believe the podcast people are cool and funny and that Carrie doesn't fit in? They're a bunch of hacks.

by Anonymousreply 286December 23, 2021 9:22 PM

OMG I read that this is the beginning of his goodbye. They weren’t gonna kill him off this early, right after Big’s death. Maybe they will later in the season.

by Anonymousreply 287December 23, 2021 9:22 PM

First to wear a ridiculous skirt like that white one in your early 30s is stupid enough but at almost 60 she looks like a she ran away from an alzheimer's unit at a nursing home.

I wonder if after hip surgery finally Carrie will stop wearing those stupid ass 3 foot heels. To show anyone wearing high heels after hip surgery is downright insulting.

by Anonymousreply 288December 23, 2021 9:25 PM

Stanford being a heinous cunt for 3 episodes then running off to Japan...what a sendoff.

And I can't see a troll like Garson leaving Anthony. He could never do better.

by Anonymousreply 289December 23, 2021 9:26 PM

But some do r288. Look at Madge.

She wore it to feel a bit more like her old self, before everything else. She looks like she feels happier in her old apartment, like she’s at home

by Anonymousreply 290December 23, 2021 9:28 PM

Does Covid even exist in Carrie’s world? I saw a few masks in episode one but nothing after that.

by Anonymousreply 291December 23, 2021 9:33 PM

New promo. It just goes from strength to strength...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292December 23, 2021 9:33 PM

R291 they discuss it as a post-pandemic world. So in SATC-land, Covid has been beaten

by Anonymousreply 293December 23, 2021 9:36 PM

They didn’t need to kill him off right away. Maybe have the women comment about him not being around then, when he does, realize he was going through something.

by Anonymousreply 294December 23, 2021 9:36 PM

Hard to believe that Miranda would have such an out-of-control slacker of a kid. The Miranda of old would have been a tiger mom, and Brady would be a high-achieving nerd.

Impossible to believe Carrie could go back to such a small space after living in that huge penthouse for 20 years, even though the decor in that penthouse was spectacularly ugly.

by Anonymousreply 295December 23, 2021 9:47 PM

Well, at least they didn't cast Mindy Kaling as the realtor lady. So there's that.

by Anonymousreply 296December 23, 2021 9:49 PM

Not hard to believe Miranda’s son is slacking at all. She was never shown as a tiger mom once. Magda was raising her son, not her.

by Anonymousreply 297December 23, 2021 9:56 PM

He's also half Steve's, and Steve was never all that ambitious.

by Anonymousreply 298December 23, 2021 9:57 PM

“at least they didn't cast Mindy Kaling as the realtor lady. So there's that”

So there’s that for Mindy, ie, professional shitshow avoided. But she’d have been a breath of comedy in this horrible show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299December 23, 2021 10:10 PM

Loving this show.

by Anonymousreply 300December 23, 2021 10:17 PM

Mindy Kaling isn't even as good as this crapfest.

by Anonymousreply 301December 23, 2021 10:26 PM

R301, sorry, don’t agree. And apparently millions of viewers think she’s great—her last two shows were big hits.

by Anonymousreply 302December 23, 2021 10:28 PM

What shows? R302

The Mindy Project never had a massive viewership, just enough to keep it going. It was cheap to make.

by Anonymousreply 303December 23, 2021 10:29 PM

Mindy Kaling has never had a big hit. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 304December 23, 2021 10:32 PM

R303 where have you been? Never Have I Ever and The Sex Lives of College Girls are huge hits. Just because you’re ancient (so am I) and not a viewer doesn’t change that fact.

by Anonymousreply 305December 23, 2021 10:33 PM

Ok, I have to give SJP credit for one thing--it's apparent she's never had plastic surgery or fillers.

by Anonymousreply 306December 23, 2021 10:44 PM

All SJP has to do is cut her hair and gain about 15 pounds, and she'd look much better. Wouldn't fit sample sizes, though.

by Anonymousreply 307December 23, 2021 10:45 PM

R305 neither are HUGE hits. They’re moderate hits. College Girls isn’t one of HBOs most watched shows. Never Have I Ever averages minors as viewership. Neither show has her as the star.

Your point again?

by Anonymousreply 308December 23, 2021 10:48 PM

I think killing Stanford would be hitting it too close to home. Willie's death was such an unexpected one. I think they handled it the best they could.

by Anonymousreply 309December 23, 2021 10:55 PM

Handling things well has not been a trend this season...

by Anonymousreply 310December 23, 2021 11:01 PM

r308, Never Have I Ever, at one point, was the most watched show on Netflix. And Sex Lives might be the most buzzy show of the year. She's the executive producer and creator of both. I never said she had to be in the shows. She's running them! It's crazy that you're nitpicking this. And yes, her demo is young. Doesn't matter today--we're not in the 1990s anymore. It's all about buzz, not Nielsens.

by Anonymousreply 311December 23, 2021 11:04 PM

Never Have I Ever was never their most watched show lmaooooo. Being #1 for a few days doesn’t make you their most watched show. Jesus. The lies.

by Anonymousreply 312December 23, 2021 11:12 PM

But we were speaking about ACTORS in the show r311. You using examples of shows successful without her in them isn’t helping your case.

by Anonymousreply 313December 23, 2021 11:13 PM

Never have I ever heard of Mindy Kalling

by Anonymousreply 314December 23, 2021 11:16 PM

Ummm I just said it was their number one most watched show at one point. In fact, it was after its debut, r312. Geez you can't admit you were wrong? So you claim it's a lie when it's easily proven it isn't? Netflix has hundreds and hundreds of shows. That's a huge achievement.

R311, whatever. Mindy is known now as a show runner, and she's very successful. I was merely pointing out to the other poster who claimed she was never in any hit. Of course, she was in The Office, so that's also wrong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315December 23, 2021 11:19 PM

ugh, obviously I meant to reference r313 in my post at r315.

by Anonymousreply 316December 23, 2021 11:25 PM

R315 she wasn’t. Running a hit series is not being in a hit series.

by Anonymousreply 317December 23, 2021 11:26 PM

Whatever, r315. She doesn't need to be in a hit series, she owns and runs them. And she WAS in The Office. I feel like I'm arguing with someone who also thinks Dump won. Geez, it's a petty argument you're making.

by Anonymousreply 318December 23, 2021 11:31 PM

The Office success has nothing to do with her. Lmaoooo

by Anonymousreply 319December 23, 2021 11:36 PM

OMG, r319. Your words: "Mindy Kaling has never had a big hit. Ever." Nothing about acting btw. I just showed you she has two recent big ones. And btw, she was in The Office and she also was EXECUTIVE PRODUCER and a WRITER. But ok, she's shit. You win the stupidest argument of the day because I'm tired of arguing with a dummy.

Oh yeah, LMAO. Like that has never been used as a burn. Get a new one, you're old.

by Anonymousreply 320December 23, 2021 11:46 PM

The actor who plays Brady was in the CBS series Life In Pieces playing basically the same character. Slacker teen son whose much hotter girlfriend basically lived with his family and no one seemed to bat an eye. He was equally as annoying on it.

by Anonymousreply 321December 23, 2021 11:50 PM

The actor playing what I assume is the producer of the podcast is Ivan Hernandez and he’s very cute. Actually he’s the only eye candy on the show.

by Anonymousreply 322December 24, 2021 12:01 AM

R322, he’s pretty hot for sure. I will NOT believe it if they hook him up with Carrie. A small aside, we learn in episode 4 that Carrie’s real name is Caroline.

by Anonymousreply 323December 24, 2021 12:03 AM

R323 when?

by Anonymousreply 324December 24, 2021 12:04 AM

The bodega guy called her Caroline and she didn’t correct him.

by Anonymousreply 325December 24, 2021 12:09 AM

They all seem like they're guesting on someone else's shows. Carrie wears outfits that really make her look old, because they are so age inappropriate. Seema is meant to be a less fabulous Samantha, but just seems to be trying too hard. Given that beige has been out for quite a while, I'm surprised the apartment isn't something more up to date. The send off to Stanford is just awful. The drinking is just being handled stupidly---she wants more but we don't see her loaded.

by Anonymousreply 326December 24, 2021 12:10 AM

That could be a nickname he has for her.

by Anonymousreply 327December 24, 2021 12:11 AM

It's funny how inconsistent the lighting is---Carrie looks particularly wrinkled in the scene with the broken picture glass. She doesn't look too bad in other scenes. I wonder if she has some decree about filters, trying deny that she looks like a withered hag at times.

by Anonymousreply 328December 24, 2021 12:13 AM

People who would spend money on an apartment in that dull building love beige. Remember how Natasha redecorated Big’s apartment in beige and after she left he painted a wall in his bedroom red. I’m always surprised Carrie and Big didn’t live in TriBeCa or Soho.

by Anonymousreply 329December 24, 2021 12:14 AM

R329: That was ages ago. White seems more popular now.

by Anonymousreply 330December 24, 2021 12:15 AM

Jut going from the last promo, when the physical therapy guy appeared it felt like a Samantha sex moment. Or is he going to be Carrie's next date?

by Anonymousreply 331December 24, 2021 12:19 AM

R330 is right. I live in a nice doorman building and the apartments come all white

by Anonymousreply 332December 24, 2021 12:26 AM

[quote] OMG, [R319]. Your words: "Mindy Kaling has never had a big hit. Ever." Nothing about acting btw. I just showed you she has two recent big ones. And btw, she was in The Office and she also was EXECUTIVE PRODUCER and a WRITER. But ok, she's shit. You win the stupidest argument of the day because I'm tired of arguing with a dummy.

Actually, those were my words and I'm not R319, nor have I said anything else on the matter, so clearly more than one person is disagreeing with you, and also probably tired of arguing with a dummy.

by Anonymousreply 333December 24, 2021 12:28 AM

R333 exactly. We are speaking about her acting on this show and he keeps bringing up writing and producer credits.

by Anonymousreply 334December 24, 2021 12:30 AM

r293

to be fair when they filmed this, it was an optimistic time... now we are going into year 3 of this shot and we are continuing to regress... my city just reinstated mask mandates

r327

I think you are correct as in sweet caroline

by Anonymousreply 335December 24, 2021 12:45 AM

After a refreshing return to form in Episode 3, Episode 4 was spectacularly dull. We got to see each remaining SATC character with her new brown friend we neither know nor care about. And Carrie's legless boss, just to obliterate any suspicion that this series isn't DIVERSE!!

I keep wondering what the point of this show is. Original Recipe had an overall narrative that drove the characters. They were single women who wanted love, who created their own ad-hoc family while they waited for it. Each episode even had a theme, epitomized by Carrie's column du jour. There were serious stakes.

Just what are the stakes on this show? Two of remaining three characters presumably found love, and Carrie just lost hers, but what are they striving for now? In fact, what are the stakes for Charlotte at all? Why should we give a damn whether her dinner party goes off without a hitch or some other Yoga Mommy in her circle thinks she "dropped the ball" on some school function?

I enjoy seeing these characters again (and Nixon is better than ever) but this iteration is dull, plodding, lifeless and misbegotten. The original show was tight, thought-provoking, relevant and often screamingly funny. This revival is none of those things.

by Anonymousreply 336December 24, 2021 12:45 AM

Agree r336

by Anonymousreply 337December 24, 2021 12:49 AM

R336, that's a really excellent analysis. It just seems the show is meandering... there's no reason to be interested in these women. And by the way, the Hallmark Channel muzak sucks. There was never any of that schmaltzy crap on the original show.

by Anonymousreply 338December 24, 2021 12:49 AM

OMG YOU REALLY CAME BACK TO SAY THE SAME SHIT AGAIN AND THEN USE SOCK ACCOUNTS TO AGREE WITH YOURSELF?! God just GET LOST ALREADY

by Anonymousreply 339December 24, 2021 12:53 AM

You are deranged, R339.

Take your meds.

by Anonymousreply 340December 24, 2021 12:54 AM

No. I’m not. You are and you have commented a huge portion of these comments saying the same shit over and over. I know who you are. Just stop before you receive another red tagged.

by Anonymousreply 341December 24, 2021 12:56 AM

And just like that...R339 is blocked.

by Anonymousreply 342December 24, 2021 12:58 AM

I loved the original series. And I'm loving seeing these characters again. I understand that they want to be current and du jour, but the fact that they've crammed every single woke social issue into only 4 episodes so far is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 343December 24, 2021 1:00 AM

R339, if you use the Ignore function, you would clearly see r336 made only a few posts on this thread. It's easy to check.

by Anonymousreply 344December 24, 2021 1:02 AM

R343, I get that people are annoyed about the "woke" stuff, but the thing that's tanking the series is it's so effing dull. I mean--who cares about Charlotte's dinner party? What happened to the humorous way they looked at her hunt for a husband? The women collectively have no purpose--there's no plot to any of their stories. It's just boring ladies who lunch.

by Anonymousreply 345December 24, 2021 1:04 AM

No one is that upset about the “woke” stuff besides racists. The show isn’t tanking. It’s doing well. Internet morons complaining about it isn’t it tanking. Those same people keep watching.

by Anonymousreply 346December 24, 2021 1:14 AM

The plots are stupid. The actresses are ridiculous. The characters are untethered.

by Anonymousreply 347December 24, 2021 1:19 AM

I actually like the fact that the show is diverse, but I definitely think they're doing it in a ham-handed way. It could have been done much more organically. In any case, that's not what bothers me about the show. It's that it's a snoozer. I'm sure it's doing very well--after all, the excrement of a movie made hundreds of millions of dollars.

by Anonymousreply 348December 24, 2021 1:19 AM

r346 being turned off by being preached to in a ham-handed way doesn't make someone a "racist" Back to instagram with you.

by Anonymousreply 349December 24, 2021 1:30 AM

Then. Don’t. Watch. R349

by Anonymousreply 350December 24, 2021 1:31 AM

Then. Watch. And. Criticize.

by Anonymousreply 351December 24, 2021 1:38 AM

No. If you don’t like it don’t watch it. Why watch to keep complaining? That makes no sense. You’re an adult. Act accordingly

by Anonymousreply 352December 24, 2021 1:41 AM

R346 is a real simpleton.

by Anonymousreply 353December 24, 2021 1:42 AM

No. A simpleton complains about diversity and uses words like “woke” when that same word is associated with homosexuals. You’re so blind you don’t realize you bitch about the shit you benefit from.

by Anonymousreply 354December 24, 2021 1:43 AM

It must be all that privilege I've been benefitting from in my life.

by Anonymousreply 355December 24, 2021 1:47 AM

R355 that privilege is due to your skin color you stupid cock sucker. Your being a cock sucker is a whole different ballgame. Stupid ass.

by Anonymousreply 356December 24, 2021 1:51 AM

I find it sad how many gay men on here claim shit is “woke”. Gay marriage is “woke” babies.

by Anonymousreply 357December 24, 2021 1:53 AM

R357 doesn’t get it.

by Anonymousreply 358December 24, 2021 2:00 AM

"Your being a cock sucker is a whole different ballgame."

As always, the cries for respect are only, shall we say, "skin deep".

You can be silent now that you've made my point for me. You fool.

by Anonymousreply 359December 24, 2021 2:13 AM

What point? I’m not black, if that’s what you mean cock sucker r359

by Anonymousreply 360December 24, 2021 2:17 AM

[quote]So there’s that for Mindy, ie, professional shitshow avoided. But she’d have been a breath of comedy in this horrible show.

She's unbearable and hard to look at, so at least one more disaster was averted.

by Anonymousreply 361December 24, 2021 2:18 AM

[quote] And Carrie's legless boss, just to obliterate any suspicion that this series isn't DIVERSE!!

Next week: A transgender Inuit joins the cast.

by Anonymousreply 362December 24, 2021 2:22 AM

They should have had all the women starting from a zero point: Have Carrie already widowed, Miranda divorced and dissatisfied with her career, Charlotte facing an empty nest. Everything that defined their lives for the last 15 years is over. What next? They spent their 30s looking for love and success, found it in their 40s, and now in their mid-50s, the kids are grown, husbands gone, careers winding down. What do you do now? What will the next 30 years of their lives be about? That would have been interesting.

by Anonymousreply 363December 24, 2021 2:37 AM

How long until Billy Porter shows up?

by Anonymousreply 364December 24, 2021 2:40 AM

That would have been great r363

Both husbands, Harry and Steve are so lame. I though I read Evan Handler had cancer. Well, whatever it is both men are just awful in this new show and nothing to the story.

by Anonymousreply 365December 24, 2021 2:40 AM

I wholeheartedly concur, R363.

It's stunning that the creative forces behind the revival didn't reach those same conclusions, because that would be a show worth watching.

by Anonymousreply 366December 24, 2021 2:41 AM

I disagree. I’m liking the show.

by Anonymousreply 367December 24, 2021 2:42 AM

Do some of you know how many people complain about how many shows *have* to have gays in them? GET A FUCKING GRIP ABOUT DIVERSITY YOU FUCKING RIGHT WINGERS

by Anonymousreply 368December 24, 2021 2:44 AM

And now we’re bogged down with tales of a transgender kid, lilys stupid piano recital and other such nonsense that nobody who adored the original series cares about.

They also botched Stanfords exit really badly

by Anonymousreply 369December 24, 2021 2:44 AM

The R363 scenario might have done a bit more to entice Kim Cattrall. A mid-60s Samantha could have just sold her PR business for big bucks. She broke up with her latest, younger boyfriend. What is she going to do now? Continue to play sugar mama? Find a man her own age? She defined herself through her business and her bedhopping. What is her identity in her 60s, 70s, 80s?

by Anonymousreply 370December 24, 2021 2:45 AM

[quote]GET A FUCKING GRIP ABOUT DIVERSITY YOU FUCKING RIGHT WINGERS

It's a fucking ham handed woke lecture being forced down everyone's throats. It has nothing to do with SATC.

by Anonymousreply 371December 24, 2021 2:46 AM

Handler looks like he's lost weight in a bad way. He also has low energy and not much of a part, so far. The inability to write anything useful for the men seesm to be on eof the many problems and one reason why it's all so low energy.

by Anonymousreply 372December 24, 2021 2:46 AM

R371 right wing fuck

by Anonymousreply 373December 24, 2021 2:47 AM

R371 about gays too! The show always had gays even in the 90s! Wake up!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 374December 24, 2021 2:47 AM

R371: We get it you don't like "woke" stuff. The only people who talk that way are wingnuts. You must be Protestant, too, because you clearly have no sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 375December 24, 2021 2:49 AM

No, the criticisms about this show are valid. It's awkward shoehorning of woke stuff into a show that was never about that. It's not being done in an organic way. This is the complaint that most people have about it. It's not SATC, it's an HR Diversity Seminar at work.

by Anonymousreply 376December 24, 2021 2:51 AM

Personally, I'd have had the show open with the death of Harry from COVID. Have Carrie already widowed in the last couple of years and Miranda freshly divorced. Charlotte's kids are in college (they could age up the younger one a bit--they seem to have no problem aging them down). Brady is also in college. The women are where they were when SATC started in 1998: single, no kids to look after, and looking for meaning in life. Bring in characters of color organically and quit preaching to the audience. I'd watch that show.

by Anonymousreply 377December 24, 2021 2:52 AM

Coulda Woulda Shoulda… but it didn’t. Move on.

by Anonymousreply 378December 24, 2021 2:55 AM

r377 that would've been a much better idea. This whole thing is so forced, in your face and unfunny.

You have Charlotte and Miranda, two sophisticated, cosmopolitan women who've lived in NYC for decades, acting like they've never seen or spoken with black people before. The writing is complete shit.

by Anonymousreply 379December 24, 2021 2:55 AM

Are there any black people left in Manhattan?

by Anonymousreply 380December 24, 2021 2:57 AM

I thought the broken glass scene was surprisingly thoughtful.

LTW is great... self-assured, beautiful... I could watch a show about her.

Now... Nixon... when she smiles, her teeth are so gray and her expression so pained. It's like she's wincing. She should never smile. Kristin's face is just tragic. Harry looks unwell. Carrie looks like Frances Sternhagen. I am not picking on her aged looks, or her beady eyes, but why make her look so awful? Her clothes are a joke. Her make up looks like Trump. The only radical or interesting thing was the curious choice to bring back the cigarettes. What is that about?

by Anonymousreply 381December 24, 2021 3:03 AM

[quote]You must be Protestant, too, because you clearly have no sense of humor.

Oh, that's the essence of respectful and open minded.

by Anonymousreply 382December 24, 2021 3:05 AM

You took the bait, didn't you.

by Anonymousreply 383December 24, 2021 3:07 AM

R381 she just lost her husband. She’s about to sell their place. She used to smoke for years. It’s hard to see her smoking a cigarette?

by Anonymousreply 384December 24, 2021 3:07 AM

I agree r379. These women live in NY, they should already have a diverse, rich group of friends and acquaintances. The show is making it about them encountering diverse people for the first time—that’s why it feels so fake. It’s very lazy writing.

by Anonymousreply 385December 24, 2021 3:16 AM

It's a bity I wasn't asked to join as a new writer and a new 4th friend. I have perspective

by Anonymousreply 386December 24, 2021 3:18 AM

I am constantly cringing watching this, the new episode with Charlotte was cringey too.

by Anonymousreply 387December 24, 2021 3:18 AM

There was nothing cringey about it.

by Anonymousreply 388December 24, 2021 3:19 AM

The point is so transparently for these underemployed actresses (and the other executive producers) to make money because no one is asking them to do anything else that's very lucrative. Darren Star and Candace Bushnell probably get some pocket change from their credits, although at this point they probably hope people forget their connection to this mess.

by Anonymousreply 389December 24, 2021 3:20 AM

r388 Charlotte trying so hard to have black friends to cultivate a friendship with the new couple. Then she mistakes one of the black women for another ("they all look alike") is not cringey?

by Anonymousreply 390December 24, 2021 3:22 AM

No r390 because that shit happens all the time in real life. If seeing it in a fictional show makes you cringe imagine what black people feel like when it happens to them all the time in real life.

by Anonymousreply 391December 24, 2021 3:24 AM

Is there only 1 school in Manhattan that allows filming? Charlotte's kids use the same campus as Gossip Girl (both versions) and 30 Rock (Jack's teen nemesis)

by Anonymousreply 392December 24, 2021 3:26 AM

Can someone confirm the Charlotte misidentification of the black woman. Yes, "it happens in real life" to a degree, but didn't Charlotte mistake a much younger woman for her friend's mom? I wasn't completely sure.

by Anonymousreply 393December 24, 2021 3:30 AM

[quote]The point is so transparently for these underemployed actresses (and the other executive producers) to make money because no one is asking them to do anything else that's very lucrative.

Bingo! They have nothing else going on and they want more $$$.

by Anonymousreply 394December 24, 2021 3:31 AM

It's not a school. It's the Museum of the City of New York, R392. But it's brick and has a court yard, which a lot of the real UES private schools don't have in their exterior. So I can see why TV shows like the look of it.

by Anonymousreply 395December 24, 2021 3:32 AM

Cringey

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 396December 24, 2021 3:36 AM

Any chance they will have the other Carrie Preston as a guest star?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397December 24, 2021 3:54 AM

[quote] This whole woke shit is boring. Charlotte running around trying to get more blacks for her dinner party? Come on writers, do better.

It’s in character though and the kind of thing that would have happened in the original series.

What always struck me is that Kristen, the actress, could never quite act as intelligent and competent as Charlotte is. The got the Alpha-female fussiness, but none of the rest.

by Anonymousreply 398December 24, 2021 4:01 AM

[quote]Is there only 1 school in Manhattan that allows filming? Charlotte's kids use the same campus as Gossip Girl (both versions) and 30 Rock (Jack's teen nemesis)

How the fuck do you people remember shit like this?

by Anonymousreply 399December 24, 2021 4:10 AM

What I liked about the Professor/Miranda scenes and SJP/real estate agent scenes is that, while it was white/POC in each scene, neither scene was about race. Both were about life. About troubles. Life, death, loneliness, motherhood.

Each scene possessed a kindred universality that everyone can understand. The characters felt, I don't know, real. Or real adjacent. And the color of the characters wasn't front and center.

We need more of that. Then, when race comes up, it will feel earned.

I hope Ep 4 (which still had too many cringe moment) is more of a portent of what the show might become than the first three episodes.

by Anonymousreply 400December 24, 2021 4:35 AM

It would've been more realistic if Stanford ran off with some TikTok star to be a sugar daddy. Who would want that bitch as their manager?

by Anonymousreply 401December 24, 2021 4:38 AM

Can people really downsize like Carrie did? I ADORED my 1 bed apartment in my early 20s. The place I live now is 4x the size. As fond as I was of it, trying to move back in would be a nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 402December 24, 2021 4:42 AM

“Cringe” is a verb, not an adjective, while “cringey” is a fucking abomination.

by Anonymousreply 403December 24, 2021 4:56 AM

r403 it's in the lexicon, AV Club used it in the article linked above

by Anonymousreply 404December 24, 2021 5:00 AM

Charlotte didn't confuse that woman for the mother of a friend of hers, she confused her for one of the mothers from school, not someone she was friendly with, just someone she had dealt with a few times in the past.

by Anonymousreply 405December 24, 2021 5:19 AM

Okay, thanks, R405.

by Anonymousreply 406December 24, 2021 5:24 AM

White people can’t have their own shows anymore. They need POC to come in and make them look like crackers. Or they need Che to educate us all on something, Che is very important and is the embodiment of the new gay.

by Anonymousreply 407December 24, 2021 5:41 AM

Che is a crass, crude, obnoxious bulldyke.

by Anonymousreply 408December 24, 2021 5:54 AM

[quote] Personally, I'd have had the show open with the death of Harry from COVID. Have Carrie already widowed in the last couple of years and Miranda freshly divorced. Charlotte's kids are in college…single, no kids to look after, and looking for meaning in life.

Traveled down a road and back again 🎶

🎵 Your heart is true, you're a pal and a confidant ❤️!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 409December 24, 2021 6:07 AM

R407 dear GOD YOU RIGHT WING NUT. what an alternate universe you live in.

by Anonymousreply 410December 24, 2021 6:23 AM

Anthony is acting like the only real human being on the show.

by Anonymousreply 411December 24, 2021 6:28 AM

I really do not know how they could write this reboot and still stay somewhat true to the original. Should they make them all single again and looking for love and marriage? I personally only know of one couple who found lasting new love in their 50s. Usually divorced or never-partnered people that age put their focus on other things such as work, grandchildren, charity, pets, hobbies, travel. Otherwise they get depressed.

by Anonymousreply 412December 24, 2021 6:36 AM

The best episode yet. Some sharp writing and light comedy moments. Loved Charlotte doing her version of Miranda Priestley's "stuff" speech at the dinner party.

Carrie's rant about the cracked photo felt off but the writing got better and SJP pulled it off. Really believable chemistry between her and Sarita Choudhury.

And the Miranda Professor scene was well done too.

The podcast shit was cringe though. I've no idea why Carrie is doing the podcast. Not money. Not for attention or relevance. I can cope with the odd scene.

The Stanford exit wasn't great, but what can you do in those circumstances?

by Anonymousreply 413December 24, 2021 6:46 AM

R410 Special place in hell for basic queens who can’t smell sarcasm..

by Anonymousreply 414December 24, 2021 6:50 AM

R396 God! The comment section on the AV Club review is so dull and serious.

by Anonymousreply 415December 24, 2021 6:54 AM

Wouldn't Carrie have her own podcast?

Who the fuck would want to listen to those two hideous freaks Sara Ramirez and Bobby Lee talk about anything sexual?

by Anonymousreply 416December 24, 2021 7:01 AM

"Alternative? What's alternative about them?"

Can Miranda break a bottle across that smug little bitch girlfriend's face? What kind of doormat would even tolerate some little cunt like that in their home?

by Anonymousreply 417December 24, 2021 7:12 AM

Easy,R417. Miranda and Steve's marriage is completely dead...she said they hadn't had sex in years. Her only emotional outlet is her son, who is so spoiled and entitled that he thinks the sun shines out of his ass. Miranda complains, but she will never refuse him anything.

by Anonymousreply 418December 24, 2021 7:17 AM

They've never really explained what Miranda saw in Steve. Realistically, she'd have lost his number when he melted down over her buying him a suit.

by Anonymousreply 419December 24, 2021 8:49 AM

Maybe she’s not a superficial cunt like you r419. Some of us care about people. She clearly cared for Steve and was attracted to him. Good thing that is all subjective.

by Anonymousreply 420December 24, 2021 11:55 AM

[quote]What I liked about the Professor/Miranda scenes and SJP/real estate agent scenes is that, while it was white/POC in each scene, neither scene was about race. What I liked about the Professor/Miranda scenes and SJP/real estate agent scenes is that, while it was white/POC in each scene, neither scene was about race.

That was the notable thing about Sex Education (Netflix) to me. The mixing of races was entirely unselfconscious. I don't know about the casting process but the mixing of the characters was just in support of storytelling about humans interacting with one another.

The new characters who aren't working are the motley crew at the podcast. They're just so box ticky. Except the hot producer.

by Anonymousreply 421December 24, 2021 11:56 AM

I must say, Carrie's "compliment" to Seema about still putting herself out there, looking for love after decades of failure, is almost breathtakingly cruel because of the implied hopelessness of her quest.

I wonder if it's dawned on Carrie that she too is likely to remain alone. But she chose to marry a man 11 years older than herself, with lifelong bad habits and a known heart condition

by Anonymousreply 422December 24, 2021 12:13 PM

R420 It's a show. They are actors, dressed up playing characters. The words they speak are written beforehand, you know.

by Anonymousreply 423December 24, 2021 12:16 PM

I didn't see that one at all. Surely Carrie was thinking the same thing... surely everybody of a certain age has the same doubts if they're single. I do. I think there's lots of things to criticize about this show and about the Carrie character but sometimes some of it feels like looking for shit.

by Anonymousreply 424December 24, 2021 12:17 PM

Carrie was given the only coupling that "made sense" (i.e., she had been stalking him for the run of the original series). Of the three Miranda and Steve made the most sense---she had to make compromises, as people do. She had an "oops" and they had to figure out how to deal with parenting. He was socially beneath her, but he was the only one who really wanted her other than Skipper who she had so badly mistreated. Yes, Charlotte became a Jew but she really didn't give up anything. Samantha wound up with a younger man, but she launched his career.

by Anonymousreply 425December 24, 2021 12:19 PM

Dr. Robert Leeds wanted Miranda, but she was sooo in love with Steve that she left walked away from him.

by Anonymousreply 426December 24, 2021 12:30 PM

R424 they are looking for shit. I keep saying that. Upthread someone is even bitching about the lighting!!! Are you joking? You’re sitting there upset because you don’t like the lighting of the show?

You can’t make this shit up.

by Anonymousreply 427December 24, 2021 12:43 PM

Hopefully there'll be a scene where Miranda is out with Non Binary Cheryl and they (plural) bump into Blair Underwood and he reminds Miranda what she could have had.

by Anonymousreply 428December 24, 2021 12:55 PM

I think the Steve character genuinely loved Miranda - in real world love of warts and all. I don't recall if the doctor actually loved her yet - it was just a successful early stage relationship. If he did and it was driven by character, seems likelier Miranda would have stayed with the doctor. They were more suited. You see it now in the dead marriage bed of Steve and Miranda. But assume the show was driven by then by shipping and end games and audience satisfaction so you had to deal Steve and Miranda. I posted upthread clever writers would have Miranda work through her dissatisfaction, which at her age is natural, but it is as likely she'd value, in the end, what she's got and fix what she doesn't. Probably they'll go full non-binary radical revolution. Whoever called this a woke opera was right.

by Anonymousreply 429December 24, 2021 1:13 PM

She was with the Doctor but kept picturing Steve while with him and wanted Steve. Being with the Dr. only confirmed what she’d been ignoring, she loved and wanted Steve.

by Anonymousreply 430December 24, 2021 1:15 PM

[quote]It's a fucking ham handed woke lecture being forced down everyone's throats.

They wanted the show to be more diverse but they're so bad at it that they almost seem resentful and sarcastic about it.

That said, it's not woke. NONE of it is woke. A clumsy handling of a diverse cast isn't what "woke" means.

Everyone on here calling the show "woke" sounds like a rightwinger, even if you don't think you do. You use it as a catch-all phrase for complaining about anything that you don't like, and some of you go so far as to say non-whites in SATC "isn't what the show is about."

It's pretty clear the majority of people complaining about the alleged wokeness would be doing that even if the show handled the new diverse casting well.

by Anonymousreply 431December 24, 2021 1:17 PM

I like the realtor, Seema. Glad they had her call Carrie out on her shitty comment. I think she is a beautiful woman and I’ve liked her since she played opposite Mandy Patinkin on Homeland.

I also like Miranda’s professor. Another beauty.

Please immediately remove LTW and Che. Omicron calling…

by Anonymousreply 432December 24, 2021 1:28 PM

Woke is now a ubiquitous term for all things in the let-me-add-another-thing-to-the-thou-shalt category, because the entire exercise is now meaningless... an endless round of acting for effect and scolding thereafter. I praised the integration of Sex Ed in a post above but roll my eyes at heavy handed bumbling of AJLT and I don't fancy myself a right-winger, though I do think I'm fairly sensible in my skepticism in all things.

That said, like with the Carrie character, I think some of the criticism of the show is criticism for its own sake now. It's more clumsy than anything and some of it is right on brand. I'm glad to see it back. I love LTW, Seema looks to be an interesting character who is destined for the fourth chair at breakfast, and Nya might be the ying to the Cheryl's yang. The only characters that don't work for me are the podcast gang, because they're like anvils falling in Roadrunner. I reject the blanket accusation of right wing. That's a manufacturer's default catch-all phrase for complaining about anything that some people don't like.

by Anonymousreply 433December 24, 2021 1:32 PM

I love Lisa. I don’t get the hate.

by Anonymousreply 434December 24, 2021 1:33 PM

How about you stop complaining about “woke” as a gay man? I can’t help but roll my eyes at the hypocrisy, because anything that doesn’t dare include a gay character is automatically shit on by you all and criticized but when it’s a POC suddenly all you do is bitch.

by Anonymousreply 435December 24, 2021 1:36 PM

Do they still eat breakfast together? That seems unrealistic.

by Anonymousreply 436December 24, 2021 1:37 PM

Are you speaking to someone in particular, R435, or just railing at the world? Because it's Christmas. You might wanna take a couple days off and just have some fun. Google it.

by Anonymousreply 437December 24, 2021 1:37 PM

R437 not someone bitching about a showing having POC trying to tell anyone what to do ….

by Anonymousreply 438December 24, 2021 1:40 PM

Seema is my favorite new addition to the show. All the others are just meh

Charlotte’s kids are in high school and we’re suppose to assume after all these years she still hasn’t made any Mom friends? In fact, it’s easier to make friends with moms when kids are in elementary school. By the time high school happens, parents are sick of school and school shit

Charlotte character seems stunted and stupid. At this point in her life, she should be way more settled and content . But the character, Charlotte, is hard to watch she’s so awkward acting

by Anonymousreply 439December 24, 2021 1:42 PM

^ Do you want to maybe try that one again?

by Anonymousreply 440December 24, 2021 1:42 PM

[quote]At this point in her life, she should be way more settled and content .

I'd settle for just her face. More and more you realize if you're gonna do it, go with the traditional lift not the combined efforts of Dow Corning and Mattel.

by Anonymousreply 441December 24, 2021 1:43 PM

I didn’t know everyone was the same.

Not everyone in their 50s are settled. Some people never are.

by Anonymousreply 442December 24, 2021 1:44 PM

Ok, I’ll come at this in a different way—at least from my perspective. Some of the criticism for the show being “woke” is not because of the diversity of characters. All of us—at least all of us nondeplorables—want diversity. It was one of the major criticisms of the original show. What you don’t appreciate is the uncreative, inauthentic, and inorganic way those characters were introduced and used. I agree, the story lines don’t feel authentic at all. It’s almost like an after school special. And btw, all of us have a different definition of woke. It can be used in a positive or negative way.

I am hoping that the writers will settle down and write future stories about these characters as a whole and how they all interact. Of course race, gender, maybe socio-economics (who am I kidding about that) will be weaved in, as they would be in real life.

by Anonymousreply 443December 24, 2021 1:54 PM

They writers have Charlotte running around trying to plan a wome dinner party. The character is a woman of wealth, 55 years old, 2 kids and a very successful lawyer husband

The whole premise rings false on every level

by Anonymousreply 444December 24, 2021 2:03 PM

Yes, a woman who has always cared about how she is perceived and her image suddenly doesn’t care because of wealth. If anything that escalates it all.

Charlotte has always been like this.

by Anonymousreply 445December 24, 2021 2:06 PM

The premise may/may not ring false, but the whole scenario is a giant snooze. Who cares about some fucking dinner party? Maybe have a Covid breakout and make it more dramatic and realistic. Or have it come out that one married guest is having an affair with two other guests married to other people. Something more interesting that]n picking guests. I’m no writer obviously, but the whole scenario put me to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 446December 24, 2021 2:15 PM

Back when it was capable of flashes of good and not one sustained, boring teachable moment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 447December 24, 2021 2:21 PM

At this point, Charlotte would expect people to be kissing her ass, not acting foolish with dinner parties and such nonsense.

She would have had 25 years of people kissing her ass because she’s rich

by Anonymousreply 448December 24, 2021 2:23 PM

What is the teachable moment?

Miranda and her teachers scene was about family and kids.

Charlottes scene was not a teaching moment, unless it was you learning to just relax and let things flow naturally.

by Anonymousreply 449December 24, 2021 2:23 PM

R448 only she isn’t that rich. Harry is a lawyer and I’m sure wealthy but not the level you say. You forget, she inherited that apartment. They didn’t pay for it. And she was never the type to need her ass kissed. What show did you watch?

by Anonymousreply 450December 24, 2021 2:24 PM

[quote]Maybe have a Covid breakout and make it more dramatic and realistic.

Recall, this was the team that in one fell swoop gave us Schingle Ladiesch [italic]and[/italic] took us to Abu Dhabi.

by Anonymousreply 451December 24, 2021 2:25 PM

What planet are you on r450? Charlotte is rich, maybe not rich like Bezos, but rich nonetheless. They stunted her character.

This whole new show is a mess, but I love hate watching it.

by Anonymousreply 452December 24, 2021 2:30 PM

I’m starting to think some of the dumbass racists (or racist, because it’s mostly one person on numerous accounts) didn’t even watch the OG show. Maybe you should get off of here and stop watching this new one. It’s not doing you any favors in looking good or sane, that’s for sure.

Charlotte never walked around needing her ass kissed. She was someone desperate for marriage and to have kids. Her life goal was to be a wife and mom. She married rich Trey, who then gave her the apartment when they divorced. She then married Lawyer Harry, who I’m sure makes great money but doubt it’s millions a year like that psycho claims. She was always a proper frau and prissy at times, high maintenance, an overachiever, needed all things to be perfect, obsessed with image and perception (remember the image of Trey and her in the newspaper? Remember how everything needed to look perfect for the world?) and always trying to blend in with what cool when she met someone different than her (until she got married). Remember her with the lesbians and her wanting to learn more about them etc. because she made lesbian friends? Yeah. When Harry told her she needed to be a Jew for him to marry her, she needed to learn from the best and be the best Jewish girl, make the perfect food etc. if those balls weren’t perfectly round, she threw them out.

She now is 55 and involved in her daughters school, met Lisa who she likes a lot, and seems to strive to want to be friends with her. And in todays climate, it is super fitting Charlotte would go above and beyond to have a black friend to show how progressive she is. She’s all about perception. But she does seem to genuinely like Lisa.

by Anonymousreply 453December 24, 2021 2:35 PM

Her character isn’t stunted. Not everyone ages the way YOU think they should. Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 454December 24, 2021 2:35 PM

I don't hate it. I tried, but it has its moments. Some things are a little jarring and the characters act, well, out of character. . At times the story seems second hand, like a friend of a friend is telling us about people they have only heard about. Mostly when it comes to Miranda. One of the issues I have with the show is that in their attempt to be diverse, the reduce people stock characters. Maybe do an episode that focuses more on developing the new characters as more than just tokens to satisfy The Woke and its minions. LTW and Seema seem like they would have interesting backgrounds.

by Anonymousreply 455December 24, 2021 2:37 PM

Harry's character was supposed to be one of the high powered, killer divorce attorneys, wasn't he? In the real world, Laura Wasser, divorce attorney to the stars, comes with an $850 / hour bill rate and a $25,000 retainer. He's been practising for what, thirty years? Without a mortgage. They're loaded. Not Bezos loaded, but loaded.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 456December 24, 2021 2:38 PM

One person is complaining they’re “stunted” while the next is complaining they aren’t acting the same exact way they did at 30, now 55.

This site would be the worst place for homophobes to come because gay men look very very bad on here and they’re so unaware of it.

by Anonymousreply 457December 24, 2021 2:39 PM

Fuck off you weirdos saying the character Charlotte is not rich and not stunted in how she’s acting

Do you know women that age and living the life that Charlotte lives?

IRL, she would not still be acting like this in her mid-50s.

by Anonymousreply 458December 24, 2021 2:39 PM

The average - real world, you and me - cost of a contested divorce in court is $23,300, with an attorney billing the average of $270. So pretending there are no incidentals etc. that's about 87 hour.

So let's pretend Harry bills $850 an hour. That's $73,950 per divorce. So given his clients will have complex finances to determine, let's give him $100,000 per divorce and 1 client per month. That's $1.2 million per year, before whatever partner bonuses he receives from his equally high powered prestige firm and before you consider thirty years of his investments compounding.

by Anonymousreply 459December 24, 2021 2:46 PM

Divorce averages

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 460December 24, 2021 2:46 PM

Jesus, as enjoyable as it was the original show was never realistic about how normal people behave or live, so why would this new iteration be any different?

by Anonymousreply 461December 24, 2021 3:01 PM

Charlotte did not need her ass kissed? She always needed it!

Any sleight needed an apology from her. Nothing could be let go.

In this new series, Carrie had to hide someone in her apartment rather than acknowledge that there was a friend she called before Charlotte.

Her need for reassurance has been a constant for this character.

by Anonymousreply 462December 24, 2021 3:17 PM

They must use some heavy filters on SJP, because in these pics of her on the set, she looks like she's in her late 70s. (Scroll down.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 463December 24, 2021 3:19 PM

"I must say, Carrie's "compliment" to Seema about still putting herself out there, looking for love after decades of failure, is almost breathtakingly cruel because of the implied hopelessness of her quest. "

I had the exact opposite reaction -- that it was a nothing comment. It barely registered. Something people say like "I'm sorry for your loss" without putting much though behind it. She didn't have to say anything, but I certainly didn't think "cruel" and was honestly surprised when it was revisited later and Seema explained to her how much it hurt her.

by Anonymousreply 464December 24, 2021 4:10 PM

I can see how someone would take that comment wrong, but I don’t think Carrie meant it in a harmful way.

by Anonymousreply 465December 24, 2021 4:28 PM

I bristled when she made the comment, not knowing it would be brought up later

by Anonymousreply 466December 24, 2021 4:44 PM

Do people really truly "hate watch"? "Nitpick and criticize watch," sure. But don't you have to enjoy it at some level to keep on watching?

by Anonymousreply 467December 24, 2021 4:59 PM

Can't people just accept the world as it's presented in the (fictional) show? Half the comments are obsessing about whether any of this rings true to real life or would play out similarly in real life. Would a person of Charlotte's stature be acting this way trying to make sure the dinner was perfect? Would a person like Charlotte even have the stature the show suggests? Would a mid 50s woman dress ridiculously like Carrie? Would Big actually marry someone like Carrie? And on and on and on.

Relax, it's not an anthropological documentary.

by Anonymousreply 468December 24, 2021 5:06 PM

R468 plus, the OG show was never realistic!

by Anonymousreply 469December 24, 2021 5:47 PM

R468, you do understand that credibility is part of how we evaluate fiction? Even in a fantasy, we want to be able to believe the characters and the world presents.

by Anonymousreply 470December 24, 2021 6:07 PM

Oh please, you just like to complain. You watched the whole series and now "credibility" is some enormous issue. "I hate it, it's so unrealistic, but I'm still watching."

by Anonymousreply 471December 24, 2021 6:09 PM

But we do believe them r470. They aren’t flying. They’re having lunch with POC. It’s 2021. Not 1921.

by Anonymousreply 472December 24, 2021 6:10 PM

It's like R471 has never heard of hate-watching.

by Anonymousreply 473December 24, 2021 7:05 PM

No. People who hate watch is because they like it to some degree r473

You don’t continue a series you legit hate. You also don’t go online to complain about the same exact thing weekly, using numerous accounts.

by Anonymousreply 474December 24, 2021 7:08 PM

The people who hate watch it DO hate it and they want to see how far the actors will go to b relevant (pandering to identity politics etc)

by Anonymousreply 475December 24, 2021 7:38 PM

They actually like it.

by Anonymousreply 476December 24, 2021 7:46 PM

They actually like it. No one who truly hates it watches it. You’re not 5. You’re a fucking adult.

by Anonymousreply 477December 24, 2021 7:48 PM

r431 "Woke" is a word that can mean forced diversity in spite of actual organic diversity.

by Anonymousreply 478December 24, 2021 8:00 PM

“They actually like it. No one who truly hates it watches it. You’re not 5. You’re a fucking adult.”

Incorrect my friend. We are watching it solely to drag the actors and writers. It is laughably bad. A Norman Lear scoldfest transferred 50 years into the future, but without the redeeming value of at least being something new. We understand the people responsible for this show are craven, loathsome political trash striving to be relevant. And we joy in their failure.

But unlike SATC, we will never again re-watch an episode of AJLT.

by Anonymousreply 479December 24, 2021 8:04 PM

So many of us loved the original show and are not hate-watching the new one. We’re waiting for it to get better. So far, it’s been very disappointing. This thread is all about talking about the show, so I don’t know why some (one) poster is complaining about the negative reviews. The thread title isn’t “All the good stuff about AJTL…” And yes, some are hate-watching. Sadly, the show’s mediocrity is giving them plenty of ammunition.

by Anonymousreply 480December 24, 2021 8:07 PM

The reaction all over the internet has been pretty much the same as DL. Reddit hates it.

by Anonymousreply 481December 24, 2021 8:08 PM

Hey Kim Cattrall at r479!

by Anonymousreply 482December 24, 2021 8:08 PM

I take that as a supreme compliment, r482!

by Anonymousreply 483December 24, 2021 8:12 PM

R468: No one is expecting cinema verite here. Still, you need a germ of something that seems plausible, relatable and situations that can create empathy. TV shows have long mined stars lives (Seinfeld, Ozzie & Harriet) or their families' lives (Leave it to Beaver). Things may end up a bit idealized---the Leave it to Beaver producers used situations form their kids' lives, but I doubt that their spouses vacuumed in pearls. Who wouldn't have wanted Donna Reed or Flo Henderson for a mother rather than the one they had. And people aren't role models can still be relatable---you may not have parents like the Costanzas, but you've known people whose parents had had the same arguments for decades.

AJLT has none of this. Carrie is supposed to be the center of the show--the reason the other women became friends with each other and Carrie is the one we're supposed to cheer. He immaturity and narcissism made the last season of SATC much less watchable than the others. Yes, the Russian was selfish but she never had any desire to really understand him. Now, we have the stylized funeral, the silly business with Natasha and beyond staying with her, the friends clearly aren't connected by her. You could have a story arc that is about their friendships fracturing (Samantha's departure could have been the start of the unraveling). The men on this show have always been underwritten--it worked for Big because his evasiveness was part of his personality. Now the women are acting like they've been in a coma for 20 years---that works on a true soap, but not hear. And they keep yammering about age, which is more of a 60s/70s thing, although SJP, in the wrong light (which evidently happens often) looks like she could fit that age group.

by Anonymousreply 484December 24, 2021 8:21 PM

"This site would be the worst place for homophobes to come because gay men look very very bad on here and they’re so unaware of it."

Grow some balls, you retard. No gay person should give a flying fuck what a homophobe thinks of them. You really revealed quite a bit about your self image when you imply that we should put our best foot forward for them. Fuck them and fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 485December 24, 2021 8:43 PM

They should add a Muslim character who calls them all infidel whores.

by Anonymousreply 486December 24, 2021 8:46 PM

R486: It would be more entertaining than the drek they've produced so far.

by Anonymousreply 487December 24, 2021 9:01 PM

Wasn't that in the second film, R486?

by Anonymousreply 488December 24, 2021 9:04 PM

I binged the 3 episodes with some friends last week. We laughed at 90% of it

by Anonymousreply 489December 24, 2021 9:08 PM

Now they have somebody in a wheelchair. BINGO!

by Anonymousreply 490December 24, 2021 10:08 PM

They need to add a blind character too.

by Anonymousreply 491December 24, 2021 10:11 PM

And Steve's as good as deaf!!!!

by Anonymousreply 492December 24, 2021 10:12 PM

A blind man falling in love with Carrie would make sense.

by Anonymousreply 493December 24, 2021 10:17 PM

I think the show should make Carrie some sort of guru instead of find love again... give her a cult like group to love instead of a man... it would be really interesting to watch her deal with a Carrie cult forming around her.

by Anonymousreply 494December 24, 2021 11:12 PM

R494 I was her first disciple!!

by Anonymousreply 495December 24, 2021 11:43 PM

Carrie should date the station manager guy. They're leaning toward the physical therapist?

by Anonymousreply 496December 25, 2021 12:07 AM

No one who truly hates something keeps watching it. Please already. I swear this site is filled with the most uneducated men who claim to be educated.

Actually it’s mostly one using numerous accounts. Same IP.

by Anonymousreply 497December 25, 2021 12:28 AM

How can you check IPs on here? And DLers have been shitting on SATC for YEARS. It's a favorite target, like Ben Affleck.

And the new series absolutely sucks.

by Anonymousreply 498December 25, 2021 12:30 AM

Jeffrey Dean Morgan should play one of Carrie's love interests.

by Anonymousreply 499December 25, 2021 12:34 AM

You can’t check IP addresses.

by Anonymousreply 500December 25, 2021 12:49 AM

I can.

by Anonymousreply 501December 25, 2021 12:50 AM

I have been enjoying it. It isn't the same as SATC, but they are in a different stage of life now. For the most part, I like the new characters. Except for Che. She has her moments, but for the most part she isn't a character, she is a lesson for the audience about non-binary pansexuals. The stand-up routine wasn't comedy, it was polemics.

She gave a lecture to people who already agreed with her, rather than being funny, which is the job of a standup.

I am most disappointed in Miranda. She was always tough, and mostly self-assured. She lets her kid walk all over her, made an idiot of herself in class, and is floundering in life, and seems to be, I'm not sure how to say this, suggestible, I guess. She isn't happy in her life, and she sees an opportunity to make a change in Che. Not that she wants to be with her, but wants to be more free like her

by Anonymousreply 502December 25, 2021 1:16 AM

That’s the whole point. She’s not happy in her life and seems distracted and drinking, which is why she’s also making errors.

by Anonymousreply 503December 25, 2021 1:19 AM

Sure you can, r501. 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

by Anonymousreply 504December 25, 2021 2:05 AM

[quote]Jeffrey Dean Morgan should play one of Carrie's love interests.

Better yet...Misha Collins

by Anonymousreply 505December 25, 2021 2:10 AM

Is the whole show wrapped up, or could they make changes based on the public's reaction? Hard to believe they had focus groups on this series. Even liberals dislike forced diversity and the storylines are boring.

by Anonymousreply 506December 25, 2021 3:54 AM

The way the show is incorporating diversity is quite offensive and tokenism at its best. In contrast to recent 2021 shows that are casting colorblind.

It's as if the ladies, in their victimhood of being priviledged and white, succumb to the pressure to finally branch out to women of color and finding 'oh, it's not that bad, they are just like us!'

This show is not social justice, and neither is Miranda's latest endeavor. Its white privilege finding common ground with 2021 America.

by Anonymousreply 507December 25, 2021 3:56 AM

I’m keeping up with the thread here and there, but I will not watch. A couple of friends did and one lasted 8 minutes, the other just complained how painfully bad it was. One friend does like it for nostalgia purposes, but it honestly sounds like a depressing relic. I predict all the bs from the first season will be gone in the 2nd.

As far as diversity, not everything in life has to be about race. It’s really so damn tiring already. They took the criticism to heart and over corrected. SJP just put another black mark on the original series. Those films were bad enough.

by Anonymousreply 508December 25, 2021 5:19 AM

But you are watching r508. Maybe this personality on this account isn’t, but your other ones on other accounts are.

by Anonymousreply 509December 25, 2021 5:23 AM

Theyre really overcompensating.

by Anonymousreply 510December 25, 2021 5:38 AM

You sound crazy, R509. I am absolutely not watching and have stated that on every thread I’ve commented on about this show. Not everyone has time on their hands for sock puppet accounts. I don’t and certainly not for this show.

Are you the show’s publicist?

by Anonymousreply 511December 25, 2021 5:39 AM

The whole damn show is a lecture. Not funny at all.

by Anonymousreply 512December 25, 2021 5:48 AM

My butter fingers accidentally W&W R497

by Anonymousreply 513December 25, 2021 9:27 AM

I'm worried that AJLT has the potential to taint SATC's legacy.

by Anonymousreply 514December 25, 2021 12:01 PM

How much you want to bet that R508 is white?

How much you want to bet that he is going to either say he is not white or has some reason not to be like other white people?

by Anonymousreply 515December 25, 2021 12:09 PM

R514 have you seen the films?

by Anonymousreply 516December 25, 2021 12:12 PM

R514, R516 and the last 2 seasons?

by Anonymousreply 517December 25, 2021 12:18 PM

R508: Take a way the "bs" and there's nothing left. There's no energy on this show and all the writers can do is throw these women into contrived situations. It's kind of like "Life with Lucy", except its new schtick instead of old schtick, but it's the same idea--these women should retire and do something else.

by Anonymousreply 518December 25, 2021 12:29 PM

Spanish-language telenovelas always have one theme - the rich become poor and the poor become rich. So maybe that is what AJLT writers should do...

by Anonymousreply 519December 25, 2021 12:40 PM

Telenovelas always have jealousy and betrayal and over the top acting---it would be funny to have a season of "the girls" emoting for the ages like that.

by Anonymousreply 520December 25, 2021 12:44 PM

R505 no Misha, you should stick to CW shows.

by Anonymousreply 521December 25, 2021 12:49 PM

The show's weakness is that there is very little that happens between the main characters. No deep anger, no deep love. Just generalized "support" which means that they can never really be involved in the same storyline. Each is only a witness to the other's stories, which makes for a static show.

by Anonymousreply 522December 25, 2021 1:40 PM

But that was the case in the original show, too.

by Anonymousreply 523December 25, 2021 2:32 PM

Exactly, R523.

by Anonymousreply 524December 25, 2021 2:55 PM

[quote]I'm worried that AJLT has the potential to taint SATC's legacy.

What, will they take down the exhibit at the Museum of Spinsterhood?

by Anonymousreply 525December 25, 2021 4:50 PM

Does anyone recall, was Lexie actually in the show in earlier seasons? I don't recall her but it played like she'd been around forever.

by Anonymousreply 526December 25, 2021 10:04 PM

R526 No, Lexie Von Muffin only appeared in the later seasons as a companion to Nathan Lane's character for Charlotte's IVF storyline.

They do this with all the minor characters, case in point the Bodega owner who called Carrie 'Caroline' in ep. 4. Never mentioned before, but we are to believe Carrie is SO down to earth and chummy with the neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 527December 25, 2021 10:11 PM

no, one episode only.

by Anonymousreply 528December 25, 2021 10:12 PM

R527 and R528 - Lexi was a friend of Carrie who fell out of a window and died early in the series, Bitsy von Muffling was a socialite who got married to Bobby Fine (Nathan Lane) later in the series.

It was Bitsy who had the cameo in the first episode of AJLT.

by Anonymousreply 529December 25, 2021 10:20 PM

R529 you are correct about the names, but Lexie was late in the series, Carrie was bonking that aging ballerina at the party where Lexie declared New York was dead then fell out the window, prompting Carrie to reconsider the ballerina's proposal to move to Paris.

Didn't mean to kick you off your high horse, and please know that I feel no *completely zero* satisfaction in getting SATC facts correct.

by Anonymousreply 530December 25, 2021 10:29 PM

No need to worry R530 - I rarely get on my high horse and definitely not with regard to something as insignificant as S&TC episode numbering.

by Anonymousreply 531December 25, 2021 10:41 PM

Being in a penthouse, should Enid have had a smoker's balcony? You can't expect your guests to go all the way downstairs

by Anonymousreply 532December 25, 2021 10:45 PM

R531 Thanks for being cool!

I feel so shallow and basic not only recanting satc facts but correcting others, like, is this who I am and what I'm all about now?!? To what could I have better invested this effort???

by Anonymousreply 533December 25, 2021 10:52 PM

Lexie dies in season 6 out of 6 seasons. That’s not early in the series.

Bitzy is someone you see a few times in later seasons. And Nathan Lane was her companion, not the other way around.

by Anonymousreply 534December 25, 2021 10:58 PM

I think Bitzy was in at least 2 eps, one with gay Bobby and one when she saw Charlotte on the street

by Anonymousreply 535December 25, 2021 11:22 PM

[Quote]I wonder if everyone knew about Chris Noth all along and even knew he was going to be exposed.

I didn't know.

by Anonymousreply 536December 26, 2021 3:58 AM

They should've had Stanford leaving a goodbye post-it for Carrie. A missed opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 537December 26, 2021 4:34 AM

"Being in a penthouse, should Enid have had a smoker's balcony? You can't expect your guests to go all the way downstairs."

Was it Enid's apartment? I remember the party was for Rama "Final Calcutta" Patel and her mate, but I'm not sure if it was at the couple's apartment or Enid's. Carrie fixes Enid up with the food critic "hobbit."

BTW, all the people obsessing about how realistic anything from SATC would be in real life never seem to take issue with the Lexi Featherston falling out a window death as they love that episode.

by Anonymousreply 538December 26, 2021 5:36 AM

Nothing in SATC was realistic. Very few things anyway. It’s literally a frau fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 539December 26, 2021 6:05 AM

For those who don't think Carrie's comment to Seema was condescending and offensive....think about it. Carrie hit the jackpot. She married a wealthy man for love, had 15 great years and will inherit tens of millions. Seema has always been alone, no doubt has a string of failed efforts and dashed hopes behind her, and has no choice but to support herself.

Imagine it in a different context, say, if a successful professional or business person said something similar to someone who had had nothing but repeated failures, and at this point, success was very unlikely. Talk about kicking someone in the balls....

by Anonymousreply 540December 26, 2021 6:38 AM

I took note when Carrie made that comment to Seema. Actually, I might have yelled, "Condescending!" at the TV.

I am 51 and single, people say things like that to me all the time. "I'm sure you'll find someone," or "he's out there waiting for you," or some other nonsense like that. Depending upon the situation, I either give them a condescending half-smile, or say, "I'm not actually looking."

I was very glad when Seema pointed out to Carrie what she had said, and how it made Seema feel. I like her character, and I like the actress.

by Anonymousreply 541December 26, 2021 12:08 PM

[quote] I took note when Carrie made that comment to Seema.

R541 Honey, they zoomed in on Seema's disapproving face for a full minute, everyone watching took note. We as an audience were directed there.

by Anonymousreply 542December 26, 2021 12:17 PM

I was making the bed while watching it, R542, not sitting glued to the screen. I didn't notice that, but just the audio was enough to give me pause.

Thanks for the condescending response, though! Happy Boxing Day, Honey!

by Anonymousreply 543December 26, 2021 12:23 PM

I notice this place is on overdrive in the last while. The unhinged fat rage, the microscopic nitpicking. Must be all that unresolved emotional damage being stirred up by normal people celebrating Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 544December 26, 2021 12:31 PM

I’m lagging behind and not enjoying this much so far, but everything about the funeral scene was note-perfect. Great casting of Big’s brother.

by Anonymousreply 545December 26, 2021 12:58 PM

After a pretty good 3rd episode, the show is back to dull. And the way they wrote off Willie Garson is criminal. R544, if you’re looking for a place where no one’s criticizes this show, start your own thread. Geez, do you not even know what DL is all about?

by Anonymousreply 546December 26, 2021 1:29 PM

^ That wasn't my point but to quote somebody else:

Thanks for the condescending response, though! Happy Boxing Day, Honey!

I hope it makes you feel better. And have a contemptuous pity for you that it not doubt does.

by Anonymousreply 547December 26, 2021 1:33 PM

R545 including Stanford being a cunt and Big’s brother’s eulogy being all about Carrie?

by Anonymousreply 548December 26, 2021 1:33 PM

So since he's now swanned off to Tokyo, I guess Stanford was either just being an asshole or that was part of a longer arc that got aborted by the actor's death.

Since they fancy themselves more of a drama now, and in the hands of good writers, you could see an arc where Stanford is becoming a total asshole because he's struggling with aging or something, and the lashing out is that manifesting. He and Anthony were unhappy in the first episode. Stanford was always a prissy thing but never the jerk he was in this series. I wonder if something was up in terms of creative direction that got interrupted by Garson's death.

by Anonymousreply 549December 26, 2021 1:36 PM

R4 was my favorite. Light and good pacing.

Muriel needs to do something about that freak having so many accounts.

by Anonymousreply 550December 26, 2021 1:38 PM

r527, good points. BTW, the actor who plays that bodega owner has such an interesting career. I've noticed him as a high-ranking NYPD person on L&O:OC; a fan/stalker on Only Murders in the Bldg, and now this.

by Anonymousreply 551December 26, 2021 1:38 PM

R547, nothing in your post indicates you were talking about one person. In fact, you specifically mentioned “this place”. You’re the sad poster who cries because no one here likes the new show except you.

by Anonymousreply 552December 26, 2021 1:40 PM

Yes, R548, especially Stanford being rudely possessive of the seating - at the more tragic / dying young funerals I’ve been to (too many), there’s always a second- or third-string mourner who goes on a power trip.

by Anonymousreply 553December 26, 2021 1:40 PM

Stanford was always about image. All of them were. It’s no shock they grew to be bigger assholes with it over time.

by Anonymousreply 554December 26, 2021 1:42 PM

Of course Carrie is so ICONIC that the bodega owner remembers her name and order after 20 years

by Anonymousreply 555December 26, 2021 1:44 PM

R554 and yet he was always so ugly

by Anonymousreply 556December 26, 2021 1:44 PM

You don’t need looks when you’re rich, dear r556

by Anonymousreply 557December 26, 2021 1:45 PM

I just rewatched the earlier seasons, and Bitsy and Nathan Lane's wedding is in one episode, and the very pregnant Bitsy is another, later episode.

I'm glad they dedicated the recent one to Willie Garson, but he deserved a better legacy for his character. I had a roommate in college who was exactly like original Stanford, early 90s NYC.

by Anonymousreply 558December 26, 2021 1:47 PM

How does one deal without either? R557, dear, please inform the class.

by Anonymousreply 559December 26, 2021 1:48 PM

Earlier seasons? Season 5 is early?

by Anonymousreply 560December 26, 2021 1:48 PM

R559 please take a seat and stop discussing what you don’t know.

by Anonymousreply 561December 26, 2021 1:48 PM

R555 maybe not iconic, but one just doesn't forget a face like SJP's.

by Anonymousreply 562December 26, 2021 2:28 PM

r186 in all seriousness, you do realize that the image many white people and minorities have about Black people are negative right? Police are absolved of their crimes of shooting Black people dead because all they have to do is say "I was afraid for my life" and those few words say it all. Black people are scary and violent and when you meet up with one, even if you are police, it just makes sense to respond with violence. Also, if you are a white woman be sure to call the police if they are in a Starbucks, Central Park walking their dog or any other situation you didn't feel comfortable having a Black person take up space in.

Inclusiveness isn't about giving people in the Black community a chance to make big cash grabs in mainstream entertainment. It is about humanizing a population that many still don't view as being human as much as they view them as being wild animals that can walk and talk.

Until much of the stereotypes and negativity assigned to Black people have been washed out the people's immediate consciousness, it is necessary for others to be presented with images that give the future generations of Black people a fighting chance to just be human.

by Anonymousreply 563December 26, 2021 2:31 PM

r189 you apparently missed all the movies about Black gangsters selling crack. You missed all the portrayals of Black women playing maids and prostitutes, men playing pimps, crooked preachers. Missed all those portrayals of the slow uncultured Negro slaves and all the comic relief of Black men running from danger with bugged out eyes. And you missed the 70's Blacksploitation films.

Do your fucking research, plenty of negative, less than perfect, unsaintly characters in flims and tv to make sure no one believes Black folks are all angels.

Meanwhile the image of the white savior, hero and supreme object of attractiveness and desire is no where to be found, what a shame. (sarcasm font)

by Anonymousreply 564December 26, 2021 2:38 PM

Sorry, I'll see myself out.

by Anonymousreply 565December 26, 2021 2:40 PM

I totally get where you’re coming from, r563-r565. I do want to point out one thing—movies have not played back people realistically—we know that. What you’re describing are stereotypes. We can all agree those need to go, they’re insulting and unrealistic. I think we all want to get to a place where all characters are realistic—they have deep, diverse traits and the interesting part of any film is exploring them. I absolutely respect where you’re coming from. Films don’t do that, it’s like it’s easier to create stereotypes. Hence why I don’t watch films anymore.

by Anonymousreply 566December 26, 2021 2:51 PM

Oops “block people” at r566.

by Anonymousreply 567December 26, 2021 2:53 PM

What is this about portraying anyone as perfect? No one is portrayed as perfect. These women aren’t going to hang out with street gangsters though, or women from the projects. They’re hanging out with women like them, with similar interests within a certain class. Guess what, there are wealthy black people. I don’t know why some of you struggle with this.

by Anonymousreply 568December 26, 2021 2:55 PM

^ No, don't. At first I thought you were just here to rant but I agree, 100%, "It is about humanizing a population that many still don't view as being human as much as they view them as being wild animals that can walk and talk."

Black people need to be seen in the mainstream, the conventional, the usual, dare I say, the normal. That's how most whites live life and I believe black people have been long under represented as just normal, usual, conventional people. And that may simplify the black experience but if you're trying to humanize a population, part of that effort is illustrating what we have in common, rather than what makes us different. So there's room and need for both story telling streams, but one is woefully under told in my view. Your frustration and experience is evident and hard to hear but there in the middle of that justifiable difficult message is also talk about what we share in common and how to widen that acceptance.

Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 569December 26, 2021 3:03 PM

I’ve watched all four episodes and found them all entertaining. Not great but fun. Friend came over for Christmas dinner and, since he doesn’t have HBO MAX he asked if we could watch. He gave up after episode two and said he had no desire to see another one.

by Anonymousreply 570December 26, 2021 4:52 PM

"For those who don't think Carrie's comment to Seema was condescending and offensive....think about it. Carrie hit the jackpot. She married a wealthy man for love, had 15 great years and will inherit tens of millions. Seema has always been alone, no doubt has a string of failed efforts and dashed hopes behind her, and has no choice but to support herself. "

I can definitely see it and understand how it was condescending now that we're talking about it. But at the time it was said it really didn't stick out to me as anything particularly noteworthy.

by Anonymousreply 571December 26, 2021 6:17 PM

elderBlack, are you single?

by Anonymousreply 572December 26, 2021 7:38 PM

SaraRod doing that ep 3 standup was ridiculous, like a bad 90s dyke routine

by Anonymousreply 573December 26, 2021 9:19 PM

Is this paywalled now?

by Anonymousreply 574December 26, 2021 9:42 PM

It’s almost time for part 4, so if this is paywalled, travel on onto there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 575December 26, 2021 10:05 PM

Why would Che want to be with old lady Miranda?

by Anonymousreply 576December 26, 2021 10:08 PM

We are watching E4 now. It is stupid.

by Anonymousreply 577December 26, 2021 10:44 PM

When the podcast boss rolled out in a wheelchair I wondered if it's possible all this diversity stuff is being done so badly on purpose? Maybe because they knew the little diversity elves on Twitter would be watching intently ready to pounce if they didn't include all these different characters so it's all so cliche as a fuck you? I think I'm sticking to that theory even if it isn't true. It makes Che easier to take at least.

by Anonymousreply 578December 26, 2021 11:37 PM

R578 I'm being MODERN!

by Anonymousreply 579December 26, 2021 11:43 PM

This episode is about how minorities are Seen when the right kind of white women take an interest.

by Anonymousreply 580December 26, 2021 11:53 PM

R578 that's giving the writers far too much credit. They are not that clever or incisive.

by Anonymousreply 581December 27, 2021 1:12 AM

Will we see Aiden this season? John Corbett said he would be in several episodes yet he was never spotted on the set.

by Anonymousreply 582December 27, 2021 1:45 AM

The producers might reconsider John Corbett if they caught him in Volcano, playing a bad politician who tells his doctor gf to get away from those sick people.

by Anonymousreply 583December 27, 2021 1:49 AM

I hope not, I hated Aiden and his judgmental attitude toward Carrie. I love you, now change everything about yourself. Here's a chair I made. Will you marry me, by the way, I don't trust you.

by Anonymousreply 584December 27, 2021 2:14 AM

^ Thanks for that. He is terrible. Stubborn, selfish, controlling and smug. They are horrible to watch.

by Anonymousreply 585December 27, 2021 2:22 AM

R584 r585 are the same person.

Also, he didn’t expect her to change herself. He accepted who she was. He expected her to not cheat. Loser. Fucking replying to yourself.

by Anonymousreply 586December 27, 2021 2:30 AM

No, Einstein, you've got us both blocked, apparently. Sensitive much, dear?

by Anonymousreply 587December 27, 2021 2:35 AM

I am R584. I am not R585. So many bitter, nasty old queens in these AJLT threads. What is it about this show that makes DL posters so vitriolic?

by Anonymousreply 588December 27, 2021 3:01 AM

Corbett isn't listed on IMDB, so i assume he isn't in this. Given that he was married with child on his last appearance, it seems doubtful that his character would want another round with Carrie. he was written as too good to be true, but compared with her other bfs, he was the most developed of all of them.

by Anonymousreply 589December 27, 2021 3:07 AM

Aidan gave Carrie good reason not to trust. She cheats on him with her ex and even when Aidan takes her back, she still hangs out with Big and insists that Aidan understand. She accepts his proposal but only wears the engagement ring around her neck, and when he asks her to elope she refuses.

His mistake was ever taking her back.

by Anonymousreply 590December 27, 2021 3:31 AM

The best thing Aiden ever did was yell “You broke my heart!!” at Carrie when she was being all flirty and trying to win him back. When she went scurrying off from that, realizing that she indeed had been a trash person, that should have been the last we ever saw of Aiden. But no, by the end of the episode, he’s back on her doorstep because he just can’t resist her. Blech.

by Anonymousreply 591December 27, 2021 4:55 AM

[quote] But no, by the end of the episode, he’s back on her doorstep because he just can’t resist her. Blech.

You have to forgive me!

You have to forgive me!

You have to forgive me!

by Anonymousreply 592December 27, 2021 5:02 AM

Did/Why??? does Brenda Vaccaro's season even exist?

by Anonymousreply 593December 27, 2021 5:12 AM

[Quote] Given that he was married with child on his last appearance, it seems doubtful that his character would want another round with Carrie.

You didn't see the second movie?

by Anonymousreply 594December 27, 2021 5:30 AM

r578 MPK's really bitchy/defensive interview in the New York Times makes me suspect that as well. It was a very "See? Are you fucking happy now?!" air to it.

by Anonymousreply 595December 27, 2021 6:11 AM

IMDb isn’t necessarily true. They might not add him to the list until after it airs…for the surprise

by Anonymousreply 596December 27, 2021 6:13 AM

There may be a few surprises this season

by Anonymousreply 597December 27, 2021 6:18 AM

I want to see Jason Lewis, nude. But it looks like that ship has well and truly sailed

by Anonymousreply 598December 27, 2021 6:21 AM

please end

by Anonymousreply 599December 27, 2021 6:44 AM

Jason Lewis looked like hell in “Midnight Texas” a few years ago .

by Anonymousreply 600December 27, 2021 6:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!