Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

And Just Like That new Sex and the City starts today

Looks like the first 2 episodes are up. What did you think? I just watched the first few minutes and they discuss Samantha and their age right away which is smart.

by Anonymousreply 600December 11, 2021 8:02 PM

Spoiler: Mr Big mortadella is gifted to Miranda for her reassignment and Rojo is caught giggling in the corner

by Anonymousreply 1December 9, 2021 2:36 PM

the real beneficiary

by Anonymousreply 2December 9, 2021 2:37 PM

So, how did they explain Samantha? Dead of STD?

by Anonymousreply 3December 9, 2021 2:38 PM

Samantha goes all Rittenhouse

by Anonymousreply 4December 9, 2021 2:38 PM

R4 They had a massive falling out when Sam drunkenly told Carrie she could write for shit and Big was the one buying all her "books".

by Anonymousreply 5December 9, 2021 2:42 PM

You should create a couple more threads!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 9, 2021 2:43 PM

The first episode didn't disappoint. It was the total crapfest I figured it would be.

by Anonymousreply 7December 9, 2021 2:58 PM

Charlotte has that weird mouth thing going on like Jennifer Aniston. It must be from Botox or lip injections but it makes you slur your words a little.

by Anonymousreply 8December 9, 2021 3:11 PM

Charlotte is so pointless now, she just an inherited wealth socialite who dresses her spawn in Oscar De La Renta and lets Harry bang her box once per month.

by Anonymousreply 9December 9, 2021 3:14 PM

I just had to turn if off when she was asking Big to masturbate. I am still *cringing*. It's like watching my parents.

by Anonymousreply 10December 9, 2021 3:47 PM

Did he cum all over her bra?

by Anonymousreply 11December 9, 2021 3:56 PM

THR review:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 9, 2021 4:02 PM

Deadline:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 9, 2021 4:03 PM

TVLine:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14December 9, 2021 4:04 PM

Variety:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 9, 2021 4:04 PM

It's received terrible reviews... the Washington Post just slams it.

The show is now about the three women now trying to find meaning in friendships (with non-white women) rather than in boyfriends.

SPOILER

Mr. Big dies of a heart attack while on his Peloton early on, so the early episodes involve Carrie grieving.

by Anonymousreply 16December 9, 2021 4:05 PM

I really can't stand that turd Charlotte, trotting her designer dress bags and social climbing. Get a job bitch!

by Anonymousreply 17December 9, 2021 4:10 PM

The 3 tramps are asked to identify Big at the morgue. When the coroner starts to unveil the face, Carrie says NO and points to where she wants to identify him.

Then there’s a huge audible GASP! Miranda says “Carrie, it’s no bigger than a little baby’s!!!”

Carrie says Big made her keep his horrible secret and even made her call him Big as a total front.

by Anonymousreply 18December 9, 2021 4:20 PM

I almost turned it off at the beginning when Carrie was squealing, that is like nails on a chalkboard.

by Anonymousreply 19December 9, 2021 4:30 PM

Darren Franich at EW seems to be going out of his way to not totally trash it but his review is still pretty meh:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 9, 2021 4:30 PM

Their mid-fifties??

by Anonymousreply 21December 9, 2021 4:33 PM

It should be fun & light & breezy. And of course FUNNY 😆 & a little risqué

by Anonymousreply 22December 9, 2021 4:34 PM

Do any women in NY actually dress like those outfits in R20 for day wear?

by Anonymousreply 23December 9, 2021 4:34 PM

We paid to be promoted on the show, but not like this.... Not like this!!

by Anonymousreply 24December 9, 2021 4:37 PM

So unless you hate it, the best a critic can do is say "well, it's quite different."

Which is like a realtor saying "a ton of potential" or a doctor saying "the good news is we caught it pretty early."

by Anonymousreply 25December 9, 2021 4:42 PM

You just know Carrie's first thought will be all about Carrie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 9, 2021 4:44 PM

Buhahahahahaha! The spell worked!

by Anonymousreply 27December 9, 2021 4:45 PM

Ouch in. WaPo: This year has been a bummer, and so is the sequel series.

by Anonymousreply 28December 9, 2021 4:46 PM

You know MPK and SJP are on the phone to each other:

"People just don't get it."

"I know. I just don't understand."

by Anonymousreply 29December 9, 2021 4:47 PM

Have there been any naked titties?

by Anonymousreply 30December 9, 2021 4:51 PM

SJP will use the low reviews to claim that people hate old people.

by Anonymousreply 31December 9, 2021 5:11 PM

The first thing Carrie says after ***SPOILER*** Big dies is "what do I do now?" because her first thought is always of herself

by Anonymousreply 32December 9, 2021 5:14 PM

R30 on the guys I hope

by Anonymousreply 33December 9, 2021 5:15 PM

And just like before I won’t watch it.

by Anonymousreply 34December 9, 2021 5:17 PM

First Lily hides Carrie's phone which results in the wedding disaster, now if it wasn't for her recital, Carrie could have saved Big's life.

Does she hate Carrie like we do?

by Anonymousreply 35December 9, 2021 5:18 PM

Did Big ever get to see Carrie's boobs before he croaked?

by Anonymousreply 36December 9, 2021 5:19 PM

Ooh, r26, tell me that's from an episode of Columbo!

by Anonymousreply 37December 9, 2021 5:33 PM

Yeah, just watched the first episode--no sizzle at all. And effing sad at the end.

by Anonymousreply 38December 9, 2021 5:47 PM

R37 you know it honey!

I was going to post it days ago as I suspected he'd die on his Pelaton!

by Anonymousreply 39December 9, 2021 5:49 PM

It’s fucking execrable. A trainwreck.

by Anonymousreply 40December 9, 2021 5:53 PM

Who's got the spoilers so I don't have to watch?

by Anonymousreply 41December 9, 2021 5:55 PM

My dad's best friend died on the treadmill. That's why I walk for exercise at my own pace, don't need to have a heart attack.

by Anonymousreply 42December 9, 2021 5:58 PM

How does she end up back in that ratty old apartment?

by Anonymousreply 43December 9, 2021 6:02 PM

I just tried to watch the first episode, and got about the way through. I understand why Kim Cattrall didn't want to be a part of this. I was embarrassed just watching it. They should have put the three women on their knees apologizing to and sucking off black and queer people in an extended bukkake show. It was a gross display.

And I have watched the 2nd movie more than once. I'm not proud of that fact, but it has happened And no, I have issue with diversity in anything, but this is so fucking bad and pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 44December 9, 2021 6:03 PM

Kristin’s face. I just can’t. She was the most beautiful of them but she ruined it.

by Anonymousreply 45December 9, 2021 6:05 PM

[quote]She was the most beautiful of them

Compared to SJP and Cynthia Nixon? That's a pretty low bar.

by Anonymousreply 46December 9, 2021 6:09 PM

Will Miranda start a lesbian affair?

Will Harry cheat on Charlotte?

by Anonymousreply 47December 9, 2021 6:18 PM

Christ, the ego on SJP. The idea that Samantha, who was always portrayed at being good at her job, would uproot her life and move to London all because of losing Carrie as a client...JESUS CHRIST.

by Anonymousreply 48December 9, 2021 6:21 PM

I watched the first 2 episodes and nobody is coming off well. I keep expecting Miranda to punch somebody she seems so angry, Carrie now has a reason to be even more self centered, Stanford is acting like an idiot, etc.

by Anonymousreply 49December 9, 2021 6:24 PM

"And just like that.....Big died."

🤣🤣🤣

by Anonymousreply 50December 9, 2021 6:24 PM

[quote]Stanford is acting like an idiot, etc.

Fortunately we don't have to suffer that much longer.

by Anonymousreply 51December 9, 2021 6:26 PM

I remember Bitsy was married (unknowlingly?) to a gay guy. But the man faced woman who said she forgave Carrie, what was her part in the old series?

by Anonymousreply 52December 9, 2021 6:26 PM

Carrie already squealing twice in the first minute.

by Anonymousreply 53December 9, 2021 6:30 PM

I know as a gay man, my top priority at the funeral of my friend's husband would be her outfit. And lol at EW calling it a shocking twist. Wasn't it the #1 theory since this shitshow was announced?

[quote]Much of the runtime is dedicated to Big's funeral, and Carrie struggles to find a venue worthy of a legendary rom-dramedy hero, though she does eventually manage to secure a minimalist space that she deems chic enough. "I'm so proud of her," Stanford Blatch (Willie Garson) tells Anthony Marentino (Mario Cantone). "With all she's going through, pulling it together and giving us a look today."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54December 9, 2021 6:30 PM

Funny that Mario Cantone looks the best

by Anonymousreply 55December 9, 2021 6:30 PM

Chris Noth: I'M FREE! I'M FREE!!!

by Anonymousreply 56December 9, 2021 6:33 PM

Yup, I think Chris Noth wanted to move on once and for all. But now all her past loves will be back. Ugh, Poor Aidan.

by Anonymousreply 57December 9, 2021 6:35 PM

I just answered my own question about who Susan Sharon is

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58December 9, 2021 6:36 PM

And Just Like That = The Bradys

*Potential Spoilers*

They're even stealing plotlines. Maria Brady had an alcoholic episode and they're clearly getting Miranda ready for that plot with two scenes of trying to buy morning adult beverages. The question will be which plot will be fully revealed first, the clit licking or Alcoholics Anonymous?

Which lady will become paralyzed like Bobby Brady?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59December 9, 2021 6:40 PM

[quote] Do any women in NY actually dress like those outfits in [R20] for day wear?

They’ll start doing it because this show is an influencer.

by Anonymousreply 60December 9, 2021 6:44 PM

What a filthy little fucker Brady is, leaving a used condom on his floor. Did he expect Magda to clean up after his ginger ass?

by Anonymousreply 61December 9, 2021 6:45 PM

Cynthia looks pretty good in the few promo pics posted here. Fortunately everyone who hates this can stop watching and move on with their lives.

by Anonymousreply 62December 9, 2021 6:46 PM

Both Miranda and Carrie looked good. Charlotte's surgery/fillers is tragic!!! Samantha didn't move to London because of what happened with Carrie, she only stopped speaking to her because of it.

by Anonymousreply 63December 9, 2021 6:50 PM

I told you it would suck. But did anyone listen to me?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

by Anonymousreply 64December 9, 2021 6:51 PM

And Just Like That... we realized we weren't at the Emmys, we were at the Glue Factory.

Meanwhile, across the pond, Samantha texted Big: I told you you'd be better off dead.

by Anonymousreply 65December 9, 2021 7:00 PM

Sarah passed her horse face down to her son

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66December 9, 2021 7:02 PM

She honestly looks like she's wearing a mask.

by Anonymousreply 67December 9, 2021 7:03 PM

Was SJP's acting good when she found her cash cow had croaked?

by Anonymousreply 68December 9, 2021 7:06 PM

So am I right in guessing Miranda's drinking is because she's been suppressing her inner muncher for fifty years?

Because in a way it's believable and yet really dull.

by Anonymousreply 69December 9, 2021 7:09 PM

I think the Carrie we know presumes that Samantha left because of her, because it's all about her. And she gets snippy at Charlotte when she makes the grieving of Mr. Big all about her and her presumption that it was her fault that Carrie wasn't there to help Big when he started to have his heart attack. This was Carrie's moment (like every other moment), and good ol' Charlotte ruined it.

I wanted to slap Standford so hard when he pushed the secretary (Brenda Vaccaro) out of his chair. Such a dick (do you wear that perfume I hate so much?).

I love the show, and enjoy all the characters' flaws.

And Steve's Boston accent got even worse with age. But I loved the moment where he played with his son's hair and ear at the funeral. And yeah, Miranda is so gonna go down on a vagina. The question will be if it's going to be Carrie's boss, her teacher or - plot twist - Charlotte's new friend?

I think SJP looks gorgeous for her age. Since I'm gay I wouldn't fuck her, but I think she's rather pretty.

I imagine Brenda will return and tell Carrie that Big was broke and Carrie has to go back to earning a living. Some shots of her apartment and her walk in closet were downright decadent. To me that signals a significant change of her living situation in the future.

by Anonymousreply 70December 9, 2021 7:10 PM

r70, yes. They made it a point to say that Carrie still has her old apartment. I bet we see it in episode 3.

by Anonymousreply 71December 9, 2021 7:14 PM

I think it will be as a simple as I don't want to be in our apartment, I want to go home.

by Anonymousreply 72December 9, 2021 7:16 PM

Maybe Miranda's drinking is because she's having a mid-life crisis.

Cynthia at least has the acting chops to pull it off. If they'd given the storyline to Charlotte I can just imagine her playing drunk...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73December 9, 2021 7:16 PM

Surely Carrie would still be wealthy from her books?

by Anonymousreply 74December 9, 2021 7:21 PM

[quote] She honestly looks like she's wearing a mask.

R67, she has the face she deserves

by Anonymousreply 75December 9, 2021 7:21 PM

[quote] Cynthia at least has the acting chops to pull it off. If they'd given the storyline to Charlotte I can just imagine her playing drunk...

Oh, we know how that ends, don't we?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76December 9, 2021 7:40 PM

Cynthia Nixon was the only reason I saw through the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 77December 9, 2021 7:41 PM

*sat

by Anonymousreply 78December 9, 2021 7:41 PM

spoilerbigdies

by Anonymousreply 79December 9, 2021 7:48 PM

Big should have died while banging a sexy young chick. Then Carrie could be conflicted with grief and betrayal.

by Anonymousreply 80December 9, 2021 7:51 PM

He was fucked by a Peloton...

by Anonymousreply 81December 9, 2021 7:55 PM

[quote] Then Carrie could be conflicted with grief and betrayal.

I think the betrayal will still come. Maybe his older brother will inherit Big's fortune, or there is nothing to inherit.

by Anonymousreply 82December 9, 2021 8:10 PM

She's such a whore. I'm glad I got out.

by Anonymousreply 83December 9, 2021 8:22 PM

I told you she's a one trick pony.

by Anonymousreply 84December 9, 2021 8:22 PM

I wonder if Miranda still has a flaming bush? It would be an awful shock for her new lesbian lover, going down on her and finding a unkempt ginger minge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85December 9, 2021 8:26 PM

I’m sorry but Miranda’s son is fugly.

by Anonymousreply 86December 9, 2021 8:28 PM

[quote]I think the betrayal will still come. Maybe his older brother will inherit Big's fortune, or there is nothing to inherit.

Isn't Bridget Moynihan supposed to make an appearance? Maybe the betrayal will be that he leaves the money to his first two wives thinking Carrie has more than enough from her earnings. Or he leaves her a smaller sum than the other two. Didn't he have a sense of guilt about his divorces?

by Anonymousreply 87December 9, 2021 8:33 PM

Is there a spoiler that he doesn't leave her his estate or is this just speculation?

by Anonymousreply 88December 9, 2021 8:34 PM

Speculation on my part.

by Anonymousreply 89December 9, 2021 8:38 PM

Big and Carrie agreed that he should leave his fortunate to NY homeless and animal rescue

by Anonymousreply 90December 9, 2021 8:45 PM

R86 is right, that kid is lucky he got laid without paying for it.

by Anonymousreply 91December 9, 2021 8:51 PM

How the hell does something like this get made? I’m sure they could have recruited the best writers available to make it into something funny and thoughtful. Examining life of women in their 50s could be more layered and emotional than the dating years. Missed opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 92December 9, 2021 9:05 PM

I think the betrayal part is also speculation because straight mourning and grief would be to little for Carrie wallow in and too pedestrian. Too boring and not dramatic enough. A betrayal also evokes the Big we know from the regular seasons who handed Carrie a few micro-betrayals she obsessed over. Now she can be obsessive over a macro betrayal.

by Anonymousreply 93December 9, 2021 9:09 PM

[quote] Maybe the betrayal will be that he leaves the money to his first two wives thinking Carrie has more than enough from her earnings.

Can we please stop acting like Carrie is the Jackie Collins of the new millennium? Bestselling authors don't have to take jobs being a third wheel on a podcast led by some fugly butch cunt and her chunk co-host and then quake in her boots that she's going to be fired when they tell her she has to step up talking about things that make her uncomfortable. If she's so fucking successful, she would have her own podcast.

by Anonymousreply 94December 9, 2021 9:10 PM

[quote] Big and Carrie agreed that he should leave his fortunate to NY homeless and animal rescue

So as to protect the less fortunate city horses?

by Anonymousreply 95December 9, 2021 9:14 PM

R92... I agree. HBO should have put its hoof down and insisted this time the gay men couldn't play with the Barbies. There are talented women writers everywhere.

Have yet to see it (tonight) but it's reminding me of that dirge she did, Divorce.

by Anonymousreply 96December 9, 2021 9:44 PM

Wasn't the Mr. Big spoiler on Deuxmoi at least 6 months ago?

Yawn.

by Anonymousreply 97December 9, 2021 9:48 PM

I’m halfway into the second episode and it’s so effing sad.

by Anonymousreply 98December 9, 2021 9:48 PM

What r44 said. God, what a piece of shit. Kim Cattrall was right. She should feel vindicated right now.

by Anonymousreply 99December 9, 2021 10:20 PM

OK, the show's totally the expected shitshow, time to move on to a more important topic:

SJP and Matthew's son. Having her horse face is not such an issue for a male, but he's a 19 year old male who's the same height as the very short SJP. He's pretty close to being a dwarf!

by Anonymousreply 100December 9, 2021 10:42 PM

It would have been entertaining if it was even dumber. Instead it's dull excess and lines that fall flat. Chris Noth was smart to stay long enough to die and then be done with this.

If they're trying to make us think this is a new chapter in their lives, why all they cameos from the past?

by Anonymousreply 101December 9, 2021 10:54 PM

Is it worse than the second movie? Lawrence of my Labia!

by Anonymousreply 102December 9, 2021 11:05 PM

A lot of unflattering glasses, dumb questions (do you masturbate?) and dumb admonitions like "step my pussy up?" plus tacky, sparkly shoes. In poorly lit moments, SJP Looks 70.

by Anonymousreply 103December 9, 2021 11:06 PM

[quote] dumb admonitions like "step my pussy up?"

Ugh, WHY

by Anonymousreply 104December 9, 2021 11:11 PM

Still sounds weird to hear Carrie calling Big “John” (and also not calling 911 right away).

by Anonymousreply 105December 9, 2021 11:11 PM

I just watched the first two episodes. Not nearly as bad as I expected! I even laughed a few times. "Give it to Black Charolette." The flowers on the coffin from Samantha were a nice touch.

The only thing that irked me was Miranda stumbling in her dealings with Black folks and the ambiguously gendered. She's lived in NYC for decades and she doesn't know how to interact with black people ?

The other thing that bothers me is that I'm their age and seeing them reminds me of how old I am. Frankly, I suspect that most reviewers are as rattled by that as I am, which might explain the terrible reviews.

It's not great, but it's not a train wreck. It's a lot better than the 2nd Sex and the City movie.

by Anonymousreply 106December 9, 2021 11:16 PM

There is a dead static in the background, sort of a soul-lessness, and the look of the show is too Instagram’y too. Basically the edge is gone. The music score is horrendous. Also, women that wear designer duds everywhere are just considered cunts now, not aspirational anymore. All the woke shit is so tiring, pronouns, braids etc. this show has it all.

by Anonymousreply 107December 9, 2021 11:19 PM

Carrie on Samantha terminating their friendship

"I thought I was more than an ATM"

by Anonymousreply 108December 9, 2021 11:20 PM

They can't stop bringing up their age. I'm older than them and embarrassed for them. Brady making out with his gf at the recital and the condom thing just seem juvenile (in terms of the writing). Miranda going from her usual ball breaking to undone by her prof just seems stupid. If she's actually interested in human rights law, one would expect that may be she done some legal work with humans.

by Anonymousreply 109December 9, 2021 11:22 PM

If these three actresses and the creative team of "Sex & The City" wanted to work together again

a better idea would be for them to come up with a BRAND NEW show, with them playing BRAND NEW characters

How about a rake-off of the "First Wives Club" with the three of them playing recent divorcees, dumped for younger women, and now they have to navigate being a single woman in your 50s?

That would much more interesting than beating this franchise to death

by Anonymousreply 110December 9, 2021 11:24 PM

This fat dyke getting uptight Carrie to loosen up & then munching her juicy cunt would be a good plot line. This shit is boring as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 111December 9, 2021 11:26 PM

Did Natasha (Big 2nd wife) show up to the funeral?

Remember Noelle Beck (Loving & ATWT) played Big's first wife

So Carrie is wife #3

by Anonymousreply 112December 9, 2021 11:27 PM

Is it explained why Miranda needs a new degree to practice human rights law? She has a JD. Do some pro bono and work something out from there.

by Anonymousreply 113December 9, 2021 11:34 PM

Miranda dated the hottie Blair Underwood, a black man, and now she acts like she doesn't know what to do around a POC.

by Anonymousreply 114December 9, 2021 11:35 PM

Mario Cantone is the only one who looks decent

by Anonymousreply 115December 9, 2021 11:35 PM

It's really tacky to take out behind the scenes issues on the characters. Whatever happened between SJP and Kim, making Samantha out to be a superbitch and a bad friend isn't true to the character and wasn't necessary. Even Shannen Doherty got respectfully written out of her shows.

by Anonymousreply 116December 9, 2021 11:42 PM

I enjoyed it in parts but generally was such a downer with death dominating the 2 episodes (and another death to come with the Stanford character). The 3 leads look much better than I expected - just older versions of themselves.

by Anonymousreply 117December 9, 2021 11:43 PM

Hahahaha the big drama of Big dying was that the moment was such an emergency that she let her designer shoes get wet in the shower

by Anonymousreply 118December 9, 2021 11:43 PM

[quote] Even Shannen Doherty got respectfully written out of her shows.

Her character on "Charmed" was killed off

by Anonymousreply 119December 9, 2021 11:43 PM

r93 Yes, the "Am I the only one who remembers what a prick he was to her?" line was there for a reason. They're trying to right the show's "wrongs", and one of the biggest grievances people had was Carrie and Big ending up together after all the toxicity.

by Anonymousreply 120December 9, 2021 11:48 PM

R119 there wasn't really a choice in that, given the premise. But the character was mourned, even if the actress wasn't.

Chris Crocker is crying over Mr. Big on Instagram

by Anonymousreply 121December 9, 2021 11:52 PM

lotta woke stuff

by Anonymousreply 122December 9, 2021 11:57 PM

It has the same low energy as the Paris episodes of the series and the first movie (I didn't see the second) and that was before the funeral. Turning Miranda into drunk seems like a lack of imagination.

by Anonymousreply 123December 9, 2021 11:57 PM

[quote] Maria Brady had an alcoholic episode

¡Segura, Jan!

by Anonymousreply 124December 10, 2021 12:10 AM

Am I the only one who remembers what a histrionic cunt she was to him?

by Anonymousreply 125December 10, 2021 12:11 AM

I don't mind the woke stuff. It's annoying how it's executed--not subtle at all. But so far, the show is a snoozer, or depressing. There's very little wit. And I always thought that was the best part of the show.

by Anonymousreply 126December 10, 2021 12:13 AM

r86 - it's Miranda's son the one that Samantha was supposed to have the affair with?

by Anonymousreply 127December 10, 2021 12:15 AM

[quote] Surely Carrie would still be wealthy from her books?

No, authors don’t make much plus Carrie would have blown what she did make on shoes.

by Anonymousreply 128December 10, 2021 12:16 AM

Months ago, someone posted here that someone in production of AJLT blabbed to them that Noth actually, really, sincerely wanted no part in AJLT.

Then, MPK dangled mega - moolah and granted Noth's request that his contract require that Big is killed off no later than the 2nd episode.

Looks like that DLer had the goods.

by Anonymousreply 129December 10, 2021 12:22 AM

Big was going to die in the previous series Kim Cattrall wanted no part of. Big was going to die and Samantha was going to be sexting Brady.

by Anonymousreply 130December 10, 2021 12:27 AM

Turning Miranda into an old drunk just proves they are out of ideas. That's what they did to Maggie Gioberti on Falcon Crest, when it was getting long in the tooth.

Maybe Miranda will get her wedding ring caught in the pool drain and die like Maggie!!!!

by Anonymousreply 131December 10, 2021 12:31 AM

Not even true R131 there is plenty of good writing here, in the third episode Carrie and Miranda take jobs to do a publicity stunt dressed as martians on top of the Empire State Building.

by Anonymousreply 132December 10, 2021 12:40 AM

Miranda drinks to forget she's married to Steve and his voice.

by Anonymousreply 133December 10, 2021 12:45 AM

It would've been more believable that Big ran off to Europe with a 20yr old aupair.

The flower/funeral/Samantha 'blowing them off' just screams PETTY

by Anonymousreply 134December 10, 2021 12:49 AM

I hate how these woke shows insist on having black people in the background in every single shot and scene. Do they really think anyone won't notice how forced and fake it is?

by Anonymousreply 135December 10, 2021 12:51 AM

[quote]Maybe Miranda will get her wedding ring caught in the pool drain and die like Maggie!!!!

Don't worry--a handsome ginger lesbian who looks like a cross between Temple Grandin and Danny Bonaduce will swim to her rescue and carry her heart away.

by Anonymousreply 136December 10, 2021 12:51 AM

With Miranda dead from drowning, will Carrie and Charlotte carry on and learn to scissor with each other??? Maybe one of the new non-binaries can teach them.

by Anonymousreply 137December 10, 2021 12:53 AM

The problem is that the show is taking itself very seriously, unlike the original. The original also drew on the mindless consumption and the deluded, hedonistic zeitgeist of the turn of the century. The reboot would be more interesting if those same, clueless characters would try to navigate the NYC of 2020s, instead of everyone being so much wiser and more mature.

by Anonymousreply 138December 10, 2021 1:03 AM

Those Black and Queer people on the left are like the new Gestapo, policing what everyone says and chomping at the bit to destroy those who don't conform to their ideology. You see the fear in this reboot. The fun has gone out of the world.

by Anonymousreply 139December 10, 2021 1:08 AM

It would have been hilarious if they'd done something like the Brady Bunch movies from the 90s, with the characters at least 20 years out of date with their outfits and cultural references. Instead of one deluded Baby Jane, you'd have three.

by Anonymousreply 140December 10, 2021 1:10 AM

For a right wing culture wars troll, you're pretty basic, R139.

by Anonymousreply 141December 10, 2021 1:11 AM

Given what a self-centered bitch Carrie is, it's totally believable that at least one of her friends ghosted her. It would be even more realistic if Miranda had moved on too. Only Charlotte would be bored and vapid enough to still be hanging out with Carrie after all those years.

by Anonymousreply 142December 10, 2021 1:11 AM

Sara Ramirez is absolutely repellent. "I masturbate by going to Yankee stadium and watch people's faces to guess what gender I am." And smoking in an elevator in a public building. Fucking trash.

by Anonymousreply 143December 10, 2021 1:14 AM

Cattrall must be relieved that this thing is finally starting and now maybe people will stop asking her about it.

I give it two seasons and then done. After that, HBO might finally quit kissing SJP's ass.

by Anonymousreply 144December 10, 2021 1:15 AM

Yeesh. Boring as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 145December 10, 2021 1:17 AM

R143, I feel like her part is very well-written. Creatures like that character love to obsess about how their freak shows are affecting all the people around them. They have a personality disorder and need to be the center of attention at all moments. Unfortunately, it looks like they’re building up to her having a lesbian romance with Miranda.

I also get the feeling that Brenda Vaccaro got Big’s estate. They treated her too shittily at the funeral for it to not come to bite her in the ass. I also think Carrie will have to fight with Natasha and the book editor ex for the rest of the scraps.

by Anonymousreply 146December 10, 2021 1:27 AM

Well, if Big didn't make sure Carrie was properly financially taken care of (assuming he wasn't secretly broke) upon his death, it seems there was no end, including his death, of his humiliation of her.

by Anonymousreply 147December 10, 2021 1:32 AM

including at his death

by Anonymousreply 148December 10, 2021 1:33 AM

Which would be sort of hilarious, if fiftysomething Carrie had to move back into her tiny apartment with her piles and piles of useless couture after Big left her with nothing.

by Anonymousreply 149December 10, 2021 1:46 AM

Who in the Peloton marketing department thought it was a good idea to allow the use of the bike and their name? The bike killed BIG! And instructor Jess King was doing some kind of phony Latin accent as the instructor. WTF!

by Anonymousreply 150December 10, 2021 1:48 AM

And what about Charlotte’s lips?!

And Mario Cantone’s facelift?

by Anonymousreply 151December 10, 2021 1:49 AM

The Hollywood Reporter reviewer needs to be stopped:

[quote] Kim Cattrall, whose #slutgoals Samantha Jones was the beating clitoris of the original series

by Anonymousreply 152December 10, 2021 1:49 AM

Mario actually doesn't look like he changed much. If he had a facelift, it looks natural.

by Anonymousreply 153December 10, 2021 1:50 AM

This show is just awful.

by Anonymousreply 154December 10, 2021 1:53 AM

Chris Noth probably was the smartest one here--he gets some easy cash for this and Big gets to be killed off so he can move on to other projects.

SJP and the other two will be milking these characters until they're sent to the nursing home.

by Anonymousreply 155December 10, 2021 1:56 AM

[quote] Who in the Peloton marketing department thought it was a good idea to allow the use of the bike and their name? The bike killed BIG! And instructor Jess King was doing some kind of phony Latin accent as the instructor. WTF!

Apparently, Peloton complained that they hadn't been told about how the bike would figure into the story.

by Anonymousreply 156December 10, 2021 2:00 AM

I hope to God they parody it on SNL. They need to bring back Amy Poehler, rachel Dratch, and Maya Rudolph just to do so... and have a surprise appearance by Christina Aguilera as Samantha.

Melissa Villasenor can play the new tranny character.

by Anonymousreply 157December 10, 2021 2:00 AM

Yes, R157, I'm sure they'll do that right after they parody Alec Baldwin, and if they do choose to parody this show over him... The whole scene surrounding all of this super nice, supportive celebrity type of people is revolting.

I'm out there, way out there, and I cannot stand these types of people anymore.

by Anonymousreply 158December 10, 2021 2:12 AM

Kim should have negotiated a handful of appearances for big bucks. They could have either killed Samantha off due to recurrent breast cancer or had Samantha come back for one episode, make peace with her friends, and then move back to London where she's happy. Noth definitely did the smart thing.

by Anonymousreply 159December 10, 2021 2:13 AM

So far, I like the new supporting characters best. Most of the first episode I found awful. Entire first ten minutes was lame, cringe, “stick it to Kim” dialogue. Samantha this, Samantha that: “I left her messages. She can’t treat me like an ATM.” Miranda is completely out of character with the concern about her gray hair, the comment about the braids, and so much more. The emphasis on materialism is still there, but more concealed.

by Anonymousreply 160December 10, 2021 2:17 AM

I think Charlotte would be more likely to put her newly woke foot in it. As the mother of Asian and GNC kid she would earnestly get an MA to proof she can be the diverse mommy of them all, just like how she was the best Scottish wife and the best Jewish convert.

Ball breaking Miranda would have moved more seamlessly into leaving corporate law and would have already be a part of a new boutique law firm.

That Carrie’s writing career wrapped up makes sense given the publishing climate though I imagine she still sells the odd magazine piece. I absolutely see her in podcasts but that podcast sounds terrrrrrible.

by Anonymousreply 161December 10, 2021 2:34 AM

Wouldn't it make more sense for Carrie to have an Instagram and a YouTube channel? Short, slick, visual pieces high on product placement and short on substance: The modern web is made for her.

by Anonymousreply 162December 10, 2021 2:38 AM

A podcast about sex hosted by Sara Ramirez and Bobby Lee. Does that make you horny or what?

by Anonymousreply 163December 10, 2021 2:39 AM

I found the show to be boring and never liked it. Women, in general, don't sleep around like that. It is just biology.

by Anonymousreply 164December 10, 2021 2:40 AM

I would rather finger bang Jabba The Hut's asshole than watch this garbage!

by Anonymousreply 165December 10, 2021 3:08 AM

I think you speak for all of us 165

by Anonymousreply 166December 10, 2021 3:27 AM

There was no explanation why Charlotte now resembles a McDonaldLand Cookie

by Anonymousreply 167December 10, 2021 3:30 AM

Bieber is a chickenhawk now

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168December 10, 2021 3:32 AM

And just like that... Kim Cattrall dodged a bullet!

by Anonymousreply 169December 10, 2021 3:44 AM

How bad could it really have been for Kimmy-Cat?

Treated like actual royalty shooting a big-budget series in Manhattan with a hotel suite/trailer all for you while being paid millions for a few months work

by Anonymousreply 170December 10, 2021 3:48 AM

[quote] Wouldn't it make more sense for Carrie to have an Instagram and a YouTube channel? Short, slick, visual pieces high on product placement and short on substance: The modern web is made for her.

She does that, too. She films the guy with the big hat at the brunch date in the first episode and says it's for her insta.

by Anonymousreply 171December 10, 2021 3:50 AM

r170 did you SEE the first two episodes? Cattrall has more than enough money, the woman is pushing 70 FFS. She was wise to turn down this shitfest. It is godawful.

by Anonymousreply 172December 10, 2021 3:50 AM

The script was appalling and nonsensical. Big keeps nitroglycerin on his nightstand but not when he's doing a demanding workout? Miranda is absolutely unaware of how to interact with accomplished black people when she’s been a professional in NYC for decades? I turned it off when Carrie said to Big’s secretary- If it’s all right to use that word - meaning secretary. This was worse than imagined. Just shite.

The only winner is Kim Cattrall

by Anonymousreply 173December 10, 2021 3:58 AM

R131 Maggie = top TV deaths ever!

by Anonymousreply 174December 10, 2021 4:01 AM

A man a wealthy as Big would have the best medical care NYC has to offer. If he already had heart problems, they'd do regular CT scans and probably an angiogram every few years to check his arteries. Any problems and they would do an angioplasty immediately. It's not feasible that a man like him would just drop dead, any problem would've been caught before that happened.

by Anonymousreply 175December 10, 2021 4:21 AM

So I didn't hate it as much as I expected or find it as awful as I expected but that may have been largely because I was reading here all day.

Random thoughts... biggest first: Stanford is a deplorable asshole. Just dreadful. What a jerk in every scene. He was never that bad when it was supposed to be a comedy but in a dramedy, he's awful. It takes a lot to make Cantone seem sympathetic.

Steve's voice and deafness are annoying. Harry looks unwell.

The Samantha stuff was spiteful... but I thought acted reasonably well. But it felt too much like we're taking everything that happened and writing it with a big any similarity is purely coincidental wink wink nudge nudge boilerplate.

The black actresses are good. I can't remember the names of the characters. As a broader canvas, they probably work. The socialite more than the prof. The show has obviously been framed around the large ensemble cast model. SJP will still be squealing everywhere. Why am I supposed to care about the cool socialite's bitch mother in law?

When the core characters we know, even SJP, were together, I enjoyed it. Everybody else felt bolted on and forced... especially the secretary and Che, though what's her name is a compelling actress and delivered a memorable performance. She's just too much.

I thought the flowers from Samantha were so stupid. Nobody sends a casket spray to a funeral. That's the most intimate piece at a funeral. The family provides the casket spray. Just dumb. Lazy, thoughtless writing, which is the big problem or foundation of every problem with this overhyped, under-delivered turkey. All the woke components feel like a combination of somebody old Googling and a long apology for that mess of a second movie. MPK is just a lousy writer. I could almost see changing the format and going from comedy to drama in the hands of a talented writing team. This isn't it. But SATC was about comedic approaches to human stories. This show is much different and I fail to see how they will pull in the audience week after week who were looking forward to the revival. I will watch out of some curiosity, for a while, but I believe things will get worse instead of better. It was pretty lifeless overall though. I hope it gets worse because there's nothing harder than indifferent hate watching.

by Anonymousreply 176December 10, 2021 4:32 AM

R45 She looks so worked on. She has Joker face. It is distracting.

by Anonymousreply 177December 10, 2021 4:33 AM

Copied from the Daily Mail:

The reviewer for the The Guardian didn't mince their words when they branded the first 20 minutes of the reboot 'terrible' due to Samantha Jones's (played by Kim Cattrall) absence, jarring dialogue and a rushed catch up of events

Daily Mail reviewer Liz Jones finds fault with the 'slightly stilted, at times verging on a bad episode of Dynasty acting, predictable wokeness...', she admits she initially just felt 'glad to have her friends back'

The Times also discussed Samantha's absence from the hotly-anticipated revivial, as they noted that the show struggled without her

--

the amount of exposition would have a script at film school.

by Anonymousreply 178December 10, 2021 4:52 AM

I thought this was very, very well done and I was surprisingly affected by it all. I had no idea they would kill big off until his death was upon us. It felt very sudden and very tragic, the same as any unexpected passing of a close friend.

by Anonymousreply 179December 10, 2021 5:00 AM

Fro m The Times story... MPK comes off as really defensive:

To afford the new characters decent screen time the episodes are, at 37-43 minutes, longer than the half-hour ones of Sex and the City. The writing room has been diversified too, with a range of ages, ethnicities and sexualities. You wonder how much of this drive for inclusivity stems from the second film, Sex and the City 2, getting such bad reviews, including accusations of racism, misogyny and Islamophobia. “Did it, Ed?” King says with mock surprise. “No, I don’t feel like I want to correct it in any way. I don’t know what that was all about. You take a big swing and you think maybe that’ll be fun. And apparently some people didn’t think it was fun. And that’s the risk you take as a creative being. Come on!”

Darren Star, the creator of Sex and the City, is not involved with this show and nor is Candace Bushnell, on whose book the original series was based. “We’ll see what she says,” King says. “She’s never short of an opinion.

It was in the run-up to the third film, which was later abandoned, that Cattrall parted company with the franchise. According to reports she objected to a storyline in which Miranda’s son, Brady, who would have been 14, sent Samantha nude pictures of himself. “I’m not going to respond to reports,” King says. Regardless of what may have been mooted, “we didn’t get to do it. One of the things about me as a writer is if something isn’t working, I remove it.” More persistent rumours speak of a froideur between Parker and Cattrall. “No comment,” he says. “All those rumours, it’s ridiculous for me to talk about them.” Has there been any recent contact with Cattrall? “No.”

She was never going to be involved with And Just Like That . . ., King stresses. “We never limped into this because we were missing Samantha. Just like in life, people come and go.”

I wish he'd gone.

by Anonymousreply 180December 10, 2021 5:02 AM

The Guardian:

You worry – King was, after all, the man responsible for both the execrable SATC movies – but you forgive, because it has been nearly 20 years since we were last together and there was always going to be a bit of awkward catching up to do. The next test of faith, however, is harder and lasts longer. Because then the show starts to address all its past issues and the criticism it has amassed (like its reputation for being the whitest, after Friends, most blinkered show on 90s television) among audiences who weren’t born when it first aired, AND haul itself into the modern world.

There are – and this is not said lightly, as it was the worst thing committed to celluloid in recent memory – shades of the crassness of the second SATC film in its confronting of gender-fluidity, sexual orientation, racial sensitivities and privilege. It does so mostly by dragooning new characters into spelling out the problem and granting our three Musketeers a valuable learning experience. And there is a series of excruciating scenes, that could have been written by a high school student for a particularly terrible high school sketch show, between Miranda and her new Black lecturer Dr Nya Wallace (Karen Pittman). They make the former look like the idiot she has never been (“I’m sorry,” she says fretfully after hitting a mugger attacking Wallace, “I wasn’t sure if that was a white saviour moment or not?”) and shunts the latter into an unrewarding role as saint. The onslaught of “woke” teachings lends the show a smugly self-congratulatory rather than ironically self-aware air. This does nothing to make it sing like the original, which – even if it was narrow and elite – knew its world inside out and could allow the comedy and the drama to arise in ways that felt effortless.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181December 10, 2021 5:17 AM

During the Big masturbation scene I was screaming No! No! No! Stop! at the TV. I did NOT consent to that!

by Anonymousreply 182December 10, 2021 5:18 AM

"healthy" 20 yo's drop dead everyday.

are you human?

by Anonymousreply 183December 10, 2021 5:42 AM

So, they're all in their 50s but why do they look 70???

Brenda Vaccaro, at 80, looks younger than these three broads.

by Anonymousreply 184December 10, 2021 6:25 AM

Why would a teenager like Brady have any emotional sentiment about Big's funeral?? It's just his mom's friend's fat old husband.

by Anonymousreply 185December 10, 2021 6:28 AM

R164 Some women certainly do.

by Anonymousreply 186December 10, 2021 6:28 AM

R185 Maybe Big had been kind to him once.

by Anonymousreply 187December 10, 2021 6:33 AM

R185 Maybe Big was kind to him once.

by Anonymousreply 188December 10, 2021 6:49 AM

R185 Maybe Big was kind to him once.

by Anonymousreply 189December 10, 2021 6:49 AM

Cynthia Nixon looks like she's fucking 70 years old!

by Anonymousreply 190December 10, 2021 6:59 AM

With Samantha gone, I bet Big was the one sneaking Brady into strip clubs, giving him alcohol, weed, and cigars(while still being underage). You know, being the cool uncle. Brady didn't learn to be such a horny shit from his dad or his mom.

by Anonymousreply 191December 10, 2021 7:15 AM

They should have brought back that guy who had the elephant dick that was too large even for Samantha.

I'm not sure how it would have figured into the series. Maybe he could be the reason for the nonbinary. Her pussy was destroyed so she started saying she had no gender anymore.

So Carrie thinks Samantha was using her as an ATM and they stopped talking over money?

by Anonymousreply 192December 10, 2021 7:50 AM

R181 the nonbinaries must HATE the new series. "I'm not your dragoon! I'm not here to EDUCATE you." etc.

by Anonymousreply 193December 10, 2021 7:53 AM

This pic might just break DL...

And can someone explain...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194December 10, 2021 8:04 AM

Sara Ramirez makes me want to puke.

by Anonymousreply 195December 10, 2021 8:06 AM

Leaving them aside, r194 posted a perfect illustration of why SJP needs to never call her red carpet makeup artist again and use whoever looks after her on the show; she looked great on TV and shockingly bad here.

by Anonymousreply 196December 10, 2021 8:15 AM

"You are special. YOU are my guiding light. I couldn't have done this without YOU, my treasure "

by Anonymousreply 197December 10, 2021 8:15 AM

R196 the $14m special effects budget might account for some of that.

by Anonymousreply 198December 10, 2021 8:16 AM

I agree that if Kim wanted money she could have agreed to only a few scenes on Zoom and never had to be there in person. Clearly she wanted nothing to do with it

by Anonymousreply 199December 10, 2021 8:30 AM

It was ok. I didn't miss Samantha at all. If anything, I'm glad we didn't have to see her slutting around as a 70 year old.

by Anonymousreply 200December 10, 2021 9:20 AM

and they still didn't address that Brady's name is Brady Brady!

by Anonymousreply 201December 10, 2021 9:28 AM

Turning Samantha into a disloyal greedy bitch is one thing, but a disloyal greedy bitch in her SIXTIES…that went too far

by Anonymousreply 202December 10, 2021 9:56 AM

They depicted Steve as oblivious to Miranda's emerging alcoholism. Perhaps that will evolve.

I don't care if he can't hear. Your spouse, children, siblings know. Believe me, they know. Also, I kept waiting for characters around Miranda to detect the odor of alcohol on her breath.

by Anonymousreply 203December 10, 2021 11:41 AM

That podcast trio is creepy, which you could live with if it weren't so damned unentertaining.

I can hear it now: "SJP, I've solved the Samantha problem! We'll put you on a sex podcast, throw in that gender shit for insurance, and those scenes can say everything that bitch would have said if she'd signed! You'll get to sqeal so many times!! Amma genius or what, doll?"

by Anonymousreply 204December 10, 2021 12:06 PM

The one thing I kept thinking was they all had good looking reading glasses.

by Anonymousreply 205December 10, 2021 12:06 PM

You’ve got to take it for what it is, not compare it to what it was. Upside - I got my husband a Peloton for Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 206December 10, 2021 12:08 PM

^ In hope or from care?

by Anonymousreply 207December 10, 2021 12:09 PM

What does DL know about Michael Patrick King? He fascinates me. So young to be able to get inside the head of women in their fifties. Wife? Children? Oscars? So talented.

by Anonymousreply 208December 10, 2021 12:11 PM

Why does everybody look like they are in their 70ies? They are supposed to be in their 50s. Steve looks awful. And Asian men, as usual, are portrayed as caricatures.

by Anonymousreply 209December 10, 2021 12:15 PM

LOL... they've done a Sex and the City 2: Lawrence of my Libelous... to Peleton.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210December 10, 2021 12:20 PM

The writing seems fixated on age and emphasizing what fogies they all are---we knew Carrie was more traditional than we thought--chasing big, not dealing with a younger bi bf, etc. but it usually was handled with a lighter touch or a longer story arc. The problem is that it's so heavy handed that the shows seem like very special episodes of "Blossom" or something. The gender fluid and minority characters come across as plot devices rather than characters who might fully develop and even if diverse people were in the writers' room, the result is the kind of "minorities making white people noble" stuff that makes a lot of well meaning tv and movies cringeworthy (think "Dances with Wolves" for an example from a different era). It's often unclear whether this is supposed to be funny or serious, so it mostly seems contrived.

The funeral seemed particularly stupid. Big, a guy who accompanied his mother to a Presbyterian church, would have wanted a traditional funeral at a high toned funeral home like Frank Campbell where all the stars and socialites get embalmed. There would have been flowers all over the place or else donations to currently fashionable charities. The minimalism was all about Carrie and her self-centeredness. And much as I like Todd Rundgren, that would have been something for an old middle brow boomer's funderal---something tasteful and probably German would have been more appropriate for Big or perhaps something Gershwin or some other "old standard". The outburst by the "secretary" seemed like daytime soap level foreshadowing and a bit much.

by Anonymousreply 211December 10, 2021 12:26 PM

R205: I thought the glasses were ugly. I know they're meant to be trendy except they aren't---I was eyeglass shopping recently and the ones they had were more likely from "America's Best" than anywhere else.

Speaking of taste---no one would have worn a flying saucer, not quite hat to a funeral, even in black.

by Anonymousreply 212December 10, 2021 12:29 PM

The hat sucked but he outfit was moderately restrained for Carrie.

by Anonymousreply 213December 10, 2021 12:35 PM

R211 I found the traditional aspect a little disingenuous. A woman who had a regular column about sex, wrote about golden showers, 69ing and a man she named Big was suddenly prudish? Plot device, not character driven.

by Anonymousreply 214December 10, 2021 12:36 PM

[quote] Speaking of taste---no one would have worn a flying saucer, not quite hat to a funeral, even in black.

Agreed. There's quirky and there's homely. SJP looked homely, largely attributable to the severe pulled back hair that emphasized age related hair loss.

Now, I get it. The point here, such as it is made, is that they ARE aging. Still, Carrie needs to wear a subtle wig or enhancement. That fascinator she wore on her head called attention to what should be de-emphasized.

by Anonymousreply 215December 10, 2021 12:37 PM

I hope Steve gets some hot consolation snatch for when he loses his wife to Homewrecker Caliente

by Anonymousreply 216December 10, 2021 12:38 PM

Are we sure Greg Berlanti isn't involved with this?

Non-binary, bulldaggers, chicks with dicks, invisible gay men, piss poor writing....

by Anonymousreply 217December 10, 2021 12:38 PM

I'll keep watching on the hope they go full soap opera and reveal Big's secretary played by Brenda Vaccaro is his heretofore unrevealed sister who will get away with having embezzled Big's money.

by Anonymousreply 218December 10, 2021 12:42 PM

I NO LONGER HAVE TO PRETEND I FIND HER ATTRACTIVE!!!

by Anonymousreply 219December 10, 2021 12:45 PM

I see the problems stemming from two things. I think the situations they're all in are reasonable and expected for their age, but the execution (the writing and the details) is terrible. The writing is plodding. That funeral scene--just no. And I don't know about all of you, but when I lost someone that close to me, the last thing I cared about what how the fuck I looked at the funeral. Carrie's outfit was an abomination. I mean I get it, the show was about fashion, but geez, give me a break, it didn't dominate every fucking scene. That fascinator was criminal. In fact, the only person I know who cared about how she dressed at a funeral (father's funeral) is a total narcissist.

The other thing is the rhythm of the show. It reminded me of the movies. There's no snap, crackle, pop. Scenes go on forever, there's no wit, and the action is a snoozer. Michael Patrick King seems to be talented--after all, he wrote and produced The Comeback--but what the hell happened here?

by Anonymousreply 220December 10, 2021 12:48 PM

R220: Seems to be talented? He wrote and directed that Abu Dhabi tourism promotional. He should've been banned from Hollywood right then and there.

by Anonymousreply 221December 10, 2021 12:51 PM

R220: Too much money, too little imagination.

And they need to pick their social problems more carefully--either make Miranda a bad out of date feminist or a drunk. Not both. And having her stuck with an inappropriate son is just another problem too many.

by Anonymousreply 222December 10, 2021 12:53 PM

R221, hah, good point! But he was involved in a lot of great shows--Cybill, Will & Grace and Murphy Brown. It seems that this show somehow brings out his worst instincts. I mean, the writing is just so bad. I do have a theory--no one is reining him in. The 1/2 hour episodes forced him to be concise. Here (and in the movies) they're allowing him leeway re: time, and the episodes are so meandering. But that's just one of the many problems with the writing.

by Anonymousreply 223December 10, 2021 1:00 PM

Miranda is turning into Steve's mother

by Anonymousreply 224December 10, 2021 2:01 PM

Will Charlotte's daughter end up being trans? They seem to want to hit all the Bingo squares on woke issues.

by Anonymousreply 225December 10, 2021 2:03 PM

I think they'd have to go full soap to do anything like bankrupting Carrie. I don't think that's the vibe of either show... too Dynasty.

There is also someone somewhere in that crazy "creative" eco system of egos, lucky half talents and profit takers who is looking at focus groups or something and understands a big part of their base comes from the Magnolia-Cupcakes-aged-into-frau brigade and I have a hard time imagining they want to alienate those subscribers by turning the big Big Carrie romance into something so dark he was fucking with her all along. They seemed in episode one realistically happy and contented together. So it will come down to a choice of a study in grief, recovery and what happens next for comparatively young widow to a story of poor Carrie defrauded by the one so the lesson is nobody can really trust anybody (which is a story a gay man could easily and mistakenly write with total conviction and would appeal to an out of touch star who wants to play put upon if not entirely victim.)

This is business, so I argue the HBO overlords will prevail with a stern 'do you want to actually drive viewers away?' You typically don't butcher a cash cow, you feed it, but depends who prevails. Season 2 will be a lot different than Season 1, I'd bet.

by Anonymousreply 226December 10, 2021 2:21 PM

Peloton stock is down 4.5% at posting, since open. So I guess the reviews aren't the only things tanking.

by Anonymousreply 227December 10, 2021 2:40 PM

Chris Noth still ended up looking like an idiot, that masturbation scene was so cringey. Did he actually masturbate or just pretend? I turned it off because I couldn't look. I hope the money was worth it for him to look like a fool.

by Anonymousreply 228December 10, 2021 2:41 PM

That was one of the unsexiest things I have ever seen. I kept thinking: Big has a microdick. That's how unsexy it was. It shrunk Big's dick.

by Anonymousreply 229December 10, 2021 2:48 PM

R214 Carrie was always kind of prudish. She wrote about sex but never did what she wrote about most times. A lot of her columns were stuff her friends or people she knew were up to vs just herself.

She was always one of the ones who made faces or had one liners when Samantha would discuss sex. Not Charlotte level but she was up there too.

by Anonymousreply 230December 10, 2021 3:00 PM

Yes I remember how she was judgmental of Samantha blowing the UPS delivery guy

by Anonymousreply 231December 10, 2021 3:02 PM

I sometimes wonder if you fools realize having gay characters is “woke”.

When we meet Charlotte’s new friend Lisa, it makes sense to me because of her status and how she is, I didn’t even think of her race. I’ve had friends of all colors. I can’t understand people who see Lisa and automatically only think of her skin color. Nothing else matters. That says more about you than the show, and you don’t even realize that.

by Anonymousreply 232December 10, 2021 3:03 PM

And one more thing! The fashion stuff is out of control. The women were fashionable, but they were never kooky—except Carrie once in a while. Many times they were casual, in fact. It just seems here they’ve gone overboard with everything having to make a statement. They’re not people, they’re cartoonish with the clothes they’re wearing.

by Anonymousreply 233December 10, 2021 3:05 PM

The wokeness of almost unbearable.

by Anonymousreply 234December 10, 2021 3:05 PM

I don’t see any wokeness. The world is a different place now, especially NYC, and the show is acknowledging that, as well as righting some of its wrongs.

by Anonymousreply 235December 10, 2021 3:08 PM

R232, you make a good point. I think if the original show weren’t so obviously white, it wouldn’t be such a jarring difference seeing characters of other colors and genders mixed in now. If they’re organically added, and we didn’t have the original show to compare it to, it would be something people probably wouldn’t even comment on. I mean, so many shows are so diverse now, and it’s the norm.

by Anonymousreply 236December 10, 2021 3:10 PM

r201, his last name is Hobbes, the same as Miranda. That was her way of telling Steve her penis was larger than his.

P.S. I saw his penis in Take Me Out, and I have no doubt hers was bigger.

by Anonymousreply 237December 10, 2021 3:11 PM

And that was a legit issue with the OG show r236. NYC was almost 40% black in the 90s. No one said one of the four women had to be black, the issue is that 99% of the supporting cast and extras were white too. These women lived in a very fake, Midwestern version of NYC (like Friends) where everyone was white, everyone was mostly attractive, most people were wealthy etc.

The new show is acknowledging the reality more, there are other people out there, the climate has changed, and these women were elitist assholes who are saints in their own mind, unable to see anyone else who isn’t like them.

by Anonymousreply 238December 10, 2021 3:30 PM

SATC was made for the middle American, Carrie was grossed out by bisexuals and public sex.

I’m good it’s acknowledging a closer vision to actual NY it’s doing so in a weirdly written way. The podcast /generation gap sort of works even though the content is totally cringeworthy (will the big heffa make a disclaimer that you she/they doesn’t represent every minority demographic each week?) but Miranda’s awkward Lady Bountiful doesn’t quite work.

Nicole Ari Parker and the husband integrate pretty well.

by Anonymousreply 239December 10, 2021 3:36 PM

Nicole Ari Parker is beautiful but it’s clear they made her tan for the part to give her more color, unless she chose to do that herself. She’s naturally quite light skinned. She’s very tanned here, and her husband isn’t exactly a dark skinned man either. Their son would most likely not look like who they cast.

by Anonymousreply 240December 10, 2021 3:46 PM

I think it’s that the set is lit to illuminate the main (ie white, pale) characters so people with deeper skin tones don’t film as well. Also, filming during the Covid era with a smaller than expected crew, there may not have been a makeup artist working on Nicole who was expert in working with black women for the screen, which is a different prospect to makeup for still photographs.

I always remember that when directing Waiting To Exhale, Forest Whittaker devoted a great deal of preproduction time and expense to makeup and lighting tests with the 4 leads. It is. Womens Picture and he wanted to show them as idealised and glamorous.

by Anonymousreply 241December 10, 2021 3:52 PM

Nicole Ari Parker is beautiful and I like the character's ease and naturalness. The scene between the prof and her husband felt natural and effortless too but for both characters, I kept wondering why am I supposed to care about your fertility or your bitchy mother in law, because... who are you?

I think they did a poor job of conditioning the audience to expect an ensemble cast with stories in their own right... people were expecting three of the old four hander with all other characters props to the central stories, which was almost entirely about the four now three women, with the prop characters getting a brief storyline once they were well established. I think they're going in a different direction and producing a different show but I think they would have been wise in the pre publicity to start managing expectations.

by Anonymousreply 242December 10, 2021 3:53 PM

The people on DL who obsess over skin color kind of freak me out. "They tanned the black lady to make her more black, also two light-skinned blacks won't make a dark child" is just weird. I live in the Midwest and the few times I've heard people say stuff like that out loud, they've always gotten the stink-eye from people around them.

by Anonymousreply 243December 10, 2021 3:58 PM

Hardly r242

We have yet to see Lisa and her family unless she’s around one of the main leads. She hasn’t been given her own screen time. All her scenes have Charlotte in them, that’s why we see her. Same for the teacher. We see her when Miranda is around, otherwise we don’t.

We aren’t supposed to care about the mother in law, she was just there to give some insight into what this new character is dealing with.

by Anonymousreply 244December 10, 2021 3:59 PM

They should have cast Nicole’s real life sexy hubby Boris Kodjoe. Him and her would make a hot couple on the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245December 10, 2021 4:03 PM

I fucking hated it. I knew I would. Let's get real, there is no angle that this series could have taken that would have pleased anyone.

by Anonymousreply 246December 10, 2021 4:04 PM

Holy cow, Boris Kodjoe is hot.

by Anonymousreply 247December 10, 2021 4:04 PM

Only rednecks in the US refer to black people as "blacks."

by Anonymousreply 248December 10, 2021 4:08 PM

R247 indeed. He was very sexy in that terrible movie, Addicted, starring Sharon Leal as his wife who is cheating on him with Tyson Beckford and William Levy.

But I appreciated his sex scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249December 10, 2021 4:17 PM

The show is thoroughly stupid.

by Anonymousreply 250December 10, 2021 4:24 PM

First off SJP looked great in the first scene with the long beachy waves. She absolutely needs that to detract from the long face. She looks horrible when her hair is pulled back or lank and straight and lose the stupid hats.

Kristen Davis looks awful with the trout lips and fillers. She's also gotten very matronly looking figure-wise and squeezing into that black dress which made her tits squish together did her no favors. She appears to have no waist anymore as all her belts were worn very high.

Nixon looks good but could get just a teensy bit of work around the eyes and brighten her makeup. I like her gray.

Horrible, cold funeral. Too modern and stark.

by Anonymousreply 251December 10, 2021 4:26 PM

Wow there’s a lot of blacks in this. And as a diehard fan, I absolutely hated it. (Not just because of the awful extras casting.) The characters are not believable! This is not the Carrie and Miranda that I knew and grew to love. Charlotte is fairly unchanged, but the other two seem very off. It actually made me sad. They look haggard, and now I feel old.

by Anonymousreply 252December 10, 2021 4:26 PM

I just finished the first two episodes, and they feel much more like the first movie than the series. The balance of sadness is way more. There are still some good one liners but no one wants relentless sadness like this.

by Anonymousreply 253December 10, 2021 4:28 PM

Why did they all act like they had just awoken from a decades long coma and were all wide-eyed about the world had become? Fucking stupid.

by Anonymousreply 254December 10, 2021 4:32 PM

The only thing I care about is whether Steve is still hot.

Do we see him shirtless?

by Anonymousreply 255December 10, 2021 4:36 PM

When you try to be something you’re not, everyone notices.

by Anonymousreply 256December 10, 2021 4:37 PM

Really? Because many true SATC fans are sad about Big but liking the show on social media.

by Anonymousreply 257December 10, 2021 4:40 PM

You know, r257, I shouldn’t be surprised. The films were excrement, yet people showed up to watch them. Both made a shitload of money.

by Anonymousreply 258December 10, 2021 4:46 PM

Did anybody think the Eurythmics playing during the credits of the second episode lent a bit of an edge?

by Anonymousreply 259December 10, 2021 4:48 PM

The first episode was just ok but I thought episode 2 was phenomenal, albeit dark and sad. It was very well done though.

by Anonymousreply 260December 10, 2021 4:51 PM

R259, the Sopranos did it better.

by Anonymousreply 261December 10, 2021 4:51 PM

SJP should have hired Spanish or French creatives to get some broad AND light farce back into this. It is TOO HEAVY. The original series was often airy.

by Anonymousreply 262December 10, 2021 5:07 PM

R262 they intentionally made the movie dark and this also. It wasn’t by accident.

by Anonymousreply 263December 10, 2021 5:08 PM

One of the reviews hinted at a surprising relationship between Che (our mandatory queer nonbinary )and another character - of course Miranda.

by Anonymousreply 264December 10, 2021 5:13 PM

Were the new minor characters foreshadowing storylines? Big's brother, for example.

And the interaction between Stanford and the secretary was anvils falling, wasn't it? Just too big a deal with a couple characters but with Stanford it was weird. He was just so obnoxious generally.

by Anonymousreply 265December 10, 2021 5:13 PM

Stanford was always a clout chaser, only the OG show was so light and breezy it came off funny, vs now where it comes off more like what it would really come off like if he were a real person.

by Anonymousreply 266December 10, 2021 5:18 PM

The actor playing Charlotte's new friend's husband is quite handsome plus it was mentioned the character's a politician who plans to run for the mayor or something like that. My first thought when I saw him at that recital was "Charlotte's gonna have an affair with him." Evan Handler hasn't aged all that well.

by Anonymousreply 267December 10, 2021 5:24 PM

That scene with Miranda making coffee was clearly foreshadowing for Carrie's early onset Alzheimer's.

by Anonymousreply 268December 10, 2021 5:26 PM

The husband of Charlotte's friend is Chris Jackson, who played George Washington in Hamilton.

by Anonymousreply 269December 10, 2021 5:32 PM

Episode 4, with Miranda getting blotto on rubbing alcohol and slurping the jizz out of condoms she finds on the floor of her son's bedroom, is both sad and disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 270December 10, 2021 5:34 PM

I really really enjoyed it. However I hate the retcon of Miranda suddenly becoming a lesbian. They already had her explore her sexuality in the original series. They also had her and Steve feel “more like roommates” in the first movie - but they resolved that and rekindled their love for one another. Now that poor Steve can barely hear, Miranda is kicking him to the curb for butch obese pot smoking Sara Ramirez? Girl, no.

by Anonymousreply 271December 10, 2021 5:34 PM

[quote]That scene with Miranda making coffee was clearly foreshadowing for Carrie's early onset Alzheimer's.

That would be completely out there if correct. It would greatly change people's perception of the show .

by Anonymousreply 272December 10, 2021 5:38 PM

They are trying way too hard to keep broadcasting to the audience "WE GET IT!"--it's like all the inclusiveness subtext is played on the top. It's exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 273December 10, 2021 5:38 PM

I know Sara Ramirez is supposed to be a breath of fresh air, but she's more like a strenuous belch.

by Anonymousreply 274December 10, 2021 5:40 PM

[quote] Wow there’s a lot of blacks in this. And as a diehard fan, I absolutely hated it.

Oh, hun, I know... And NOT as servants or mammies, mind you! You should, NAY, must watch some "Gone With The Wind" in order to cleanse your retinas!

by Anonymousreply 275December 10, 2021 5:42 PM

Two things I didn't need to see: 17 year old Brady hammering away at his girlfriend while his parents were on the other side of the wall. Like what the fuck was that all about? And did we really need to see Big in a body bag on a gurney?

by Anonymousreply 276December 10, 2021 5:44 PM

^I thought Brady was meant to be 18 or 19, but 17? Yikes!

by Anonymousreply 277December 10, 2021 5:48 PM

Big masturbating was the most cringe thing I think I have ever seen on TV.

by Anonymousreply 278December 10, 2021 5:48 PM

Stanford demands Big’s secretary take her seat in the back, and won’t allow her to sit up front, because it’s so important to sit next to his grieving bestie and have his hubby by his side also. He also is upset because he would have liked to say a few words at the funeral, even though him and Big probably never interacted outside of small talk due to Carrie.

Miranda gives a touching speech, followed by Charlotte telling her it was beautiful. Miranda then replies how Carrie wrote it, they act like that is a sweet thing. In reality Carrie had to write it because none of them had relationships with Big on his own and only through Carrie. Meanwhile, the woman who probably knew John James Preston best, even more so than Carrie herself, is pushed to the back and treated like she’s shit.

The show is actually pretty good and has commentary that goes over most peoples heads it seems. It’s all about looking good and a show for those wealthy types. None of it was real or sincere, but they put on a face and it was for the show and clout for those types.

by Anonymousreply 279December 10, 2021 5:50 PM

OK, I didn't think I would say this, but the scene where Big masterbates was cringe-worthy and I'm no prude.

All the husbands really didn't look so well for their age. Is Evan Handler ill? He looked frail and too thin. I know he's a cancer survivor.

Miranda's storyline is a bit of a bore. I found myself fast-forwarding through some of the show.

There were spurts of the wit and fun of the original series, but it just OK. I actually thought Sarah Ramirez's character was a bright moment and nice addition.

by Anonymousreply 280December 10, 2021 5:53 PM

[quote]The show is actually pretty good and has commentary that goes over most peoples [sic] heads it seems.

Would that we were all as smart as you.

by Anonymousreply 281December 10, 2021 5:56 PM

I hated Sara Ramirez' character and all its bullshit. However, Ramirez herself actually brought a decent amount of humor and heart to the role, which surprised me. She's giving everything she has to make the character tolerable, but she's fighting a losing battle.

by Anonymousreply 282December 10, 2021 5:56 PM

I was coming here to post the same thought R282. I hate the character and this is not the right vehicle for Ramirez.

by Anonymousreply 283December 10, 2021 6:02 PM

I have so many major gripes about this reboot, but one minor one: Miranda snarling about how she doesn’t do podcasts. A Brooklyn liberal intellectual like herself would be *all about* podcasts. She wouldn’t be able to start her day without The Daily, at the very least.

by Anonymousreply 284December 10, 2021 6:04 PM

R284 I’m a Brooklyn liberal smartass who doesn’t do podcasts either. Not everyone is the same.

by Anonymousreply 285December 10, 2021 6:06 PM

The writers should have followed this simple mantra - tell me you're woke without TELLING me you're woke. Tell me you're old without TELLING me you're old.

by Anonymousreply 286December 10, 2021 6:17 PM

I thought it was so odd that Carrie didn't call 911. She just sat there moaning while he died.

by Anonymousreply 287December 10, 2021 6:19 PM

Same R285.

by Anonymousreply 288December 10, 2021 6:21 PM

I didn’t understand her not calling 911 either.

by Anonymousreply 289December 10, 2021 6:21 PM

Right, R287? That was the oddest scene out of this whole mess.

I half expected Big’s last words were going to be “Bitch, call 9-1-1”

by Anonymousreply 290December 10, 2021 6:23 PM

“What am I gonna do now?!”

Carrie was only concerned about herself after her husband just died.

by Anonymousreply 291December 10, 2021 6:24 PM

It’s a wonder she didn’t beat her non-existent chest and cry out, “my wedding shoes are ruined!”, R291.

by Anonymousreply 292December 10, 2021 6:27 PM

Why did they recast Brady? This new guy is ugly and can’t act. For that just allow the original to come back.

by Anonymousreply 293December 10, 2021 6:36 PM

I don’t care how liberal someone is, no mother allows their teenage sons girlfriend to start sleeping over because they like her.

by Anonymousreply 294December 10, 2021 6:41 PM

Carrie failing to call 911 is worse than Rose hogging the headboard in Titanic.

by Anonymousreply 295December 10, 2021 6:46 PM

I was watching this with a single gf with a teenager and she said no fucking way about the Brady and gf screwing in the bedroom next door. Very unrealistic.

by Anonymousreply 296December 10, 2021 6:46 PM

Miranda would never allow her underage son to have his gf sleep over. Come on.

by Anonymousreply 297December 10, 2021 6:53 PM

If he’s 17 how is that under age?

by Anonymousreply 298December 10, 2021 6:56 PM

Even if he’s of age… most parents don’t want their kids fucking next door

by Anonymousreply 299December 10, 2021 6:57 PM

[quote] They should have put the three women on their knees apologizing to and sucking off black and queer people in an extended bukkake show. It was a gross display.

I know. They should've burned a few crosses early on, to set the tone for the rest of the show.

by Anonymousreply 300December 10, 2021 7:00 PM

Second episode much stronger than the first. The way they keep speaking about Samantha it's almost like they are setting up her return. Maybe Kim C shot her scenes in secret, the whole feud thing is some extreme publicity stunt. Of course that's nonsense but it's like the producers are almost willing Cattralls return.

by Anonymousreply 301December 10, 2021 7:01 PM

Kim shot no scenes. Samantha was a huge part of the show. You’re an idiot if you think that they’re not gonna speak about her.

On top of that, they’re trying to get her back for season 2.

by Anonymousreply 302December 10, 2021 7:03 PM

I rewatched them today and found myself ff-ing that painful podcast studio scene (though the hunky producer who got two cutaways was handsome) and through anything to do with Miranda's woke trip hazards. That character has been twisted every which way. I thought she dumped her corporate job in one of the movies? I Just find Charlotte's cool new friend terrific... that actress has charisma... a lot of fun to watch. I also thought the young actress playing Lily was sweet and beautiful. Still repulsed by what a cretinous asshole Stanford behaved like.

If I don't get some Magda, there'll be trouble.

by Anonymousreply 303December 10, 2021 7:20 PM

My thoughts/predictions :

Brenda V will be back, in upcoming episodes, as Big’s long term secretary with some huge secret she’ll reveal to Carrie. Maybe she had Big’s kid 30 years ago? Anyone see the photos of Chris Noth as a young man? Holy shit, he was hot

Carrie will be moving back to her original apartment Even if she’s not broke (as others have predicted) due to big being in debt. She won’t be able to stay in the place she shared with Big

They wrote Bitsy’s and Susan Sharon roles as imbeciles. They killed off Nathan Lane, which seemed to be related to Covid. Guess they couldn’t get him back.

Anyone have a clue what Chris Noth made for filming two episodes? He truly looked like he was phoning it in. In his death scene, he couldn’t call 911? Everyone’s phone is usually always with them. He was still alive when Carrie got home. The script writing is really lackluster

by Anonymousreply 304December 10, 2021 7:22 PM

My phone isnt always with me, R304. Stop generalizing.

by Anonymousreply 305December 10, 2021 7:24 PM

I said usually asswipe at r305

by Anonymousreply 306December 10, 2021 7:26 PM

Big accidentally flung his phone into the shower.

But that didn't explain why it never occurred to Carrie to call 911.

It's more fun if you imagine the scene with Carrie as Bette Davis in The Little Foxes, intentionally doing nothing to help someone who is dying.

by Anonymousreply 307December 10, 2021 7:27 PM

R302 Of course they are gonna speak about Samantha. I didn't say otherwise. Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 308December 10, 2021 7:28 PM

You can see the generation divide in statements like that. Millennials and Zoomers can't conceive of people not having their phones nearby 24/7. I dated someone a few years ago who was a cusp Millennial and he left his phone at my house one night. We were going to see each other the next day, but he couldn't live without it for even one night, so he drove back (an hour drive) to get it at 1am.

Of course he also got mad at me for not answering text messages immediately.

by Anonymousreply 309December 10, 2021 7:29 PM

R303, Lynn Cohen, who played Magda passed away last year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310December 10, 2021 7:30 PM

R309 I wouldn't want someone I was dating to have my phone. Until recent updates, they would have been able to see all my texts and notifications.

by Anonymousreply 311December 10, 2021 7:32 PM

You’re an idiot, R305

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312December 10, 2021 7:32 PM

We agree R312

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313December 10, 2021 7:34 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314December 10, 2021 7:35 PM

To be fair big could have staggered over for his nitro pills too.

by Anonymousreply 315December 10, 2021 7:36 PM

People are getting awfully triggered over this show.

by Anonymousreply 316December 10, 2021 7:40 PM

[quote] They killed off Nathan Lane, which seemed to be related to Covid. Guess they couldn’t get him back.

I wonder if he was too busy filming scenes for HULU'S Only Murders In The Building?

But without Nathan's character dead, Bitsy would have not been able to do the whole "They don't know how it feels, but I do!" cringe, self-righteous monologue. Saw the actress on the new Gossip Girl show, and she was hilarious as a bitter, disillusioned teacher.

by Anonymousreply 317December 10, 2021 8:18 PM

That scene with Carrie and her new boss in the elevator was a bit creepy when Che demanded of Carrie to say "I'm gonna step my pussy up!" out loud.

by Anonymousreply 318December 10, 2021 8:27 PM

[quote]It's more fun if you imagine the scene with Carrie as Bette Davis in The Little Foxes, intentionally doing nothing to help someone who is dying.

So much more satisfying, but then, this would be a thread about a quality show and not the dreck we’re all following.

by Anonymousreply 319December 10, 2021 8:53 PM

R310, thanks. In that case obviously won't be making any trouble about Magda. She's past her best by date now.

by Anonymousreply 320December 10, 2021 8:55 PM

First, I have to say I haven't watched and don't intend to. I plan to follow along her. Carrie's disconnects from THE OG, whether by design or writer sloppiness, are a little disconcerting.

Her not calling 911 seems rather blasé compared to her reaction in the episode Big returns from Napa. Meltdown in the restaurant upon hearing the reason, then OTT Candy Striper nursemaid.

And, the ATM comment about Samantha. I hope she whines enough about it for Charlotte to say "Now you know how I felt when you felt entitled to my engagement ring proceeds.". Was there discussion about Carrie's reasons for dropping her or that Samantha was hurt and felt Carrie betrayed her?

by Anonymousreply 321December 10, 2021 8:58 PM

How did Carrie remain such an uptight prude with a column called Sex and the City?

by Anonymousreply 322December 10, 2021 9:03 PM

R321, it was the latter. The scene wasn't played spitefully... the most negative emotion was frustration and frustrated resentment. It was obviously written spitefully. Did King have as much a hand in it as anybody else? His comments about the matter were brief and bitchy in his Times interview.

by Anonymousreply 323December 10, 2021 9:06 PM

And another thing! When Carrie saw Big on the floor, she paused for a looooong time. If I had seen my hubby obviously having a heart attack, I wouldn’t have stopped to take a long pause. I do think that SJP actually played that scene really well. Although I was really disappointed in the quality of the episodes, that scene moved me. Except for the effing pause!

by Anonymousreply 324December 10, 2021 9:24 PM

The only thing that could redeem this reboot is if they brought back the character of Amalita Amalfi.

by Anonymousreply 325December 10, 2021 9:43 PM

Amalita retired to Lake Como years ago with the ill-gotten gains of her life of prostitution, and now maintains several twentysomething lovers and a couple of nieces and nephews.

Her life is fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 326December 10, 2021 9:45 PM

Other than the premiere, SJP hasn't done any press. It's just been Cynthia and Kristin. What gives?

by Anonymousreply 327December 10, 2021 9:46 PM

Having just seen the scene where he died, they could have even done some time delay where the scene faded and while she cradled Big a quick shot of her phone with the 911 dispatcher saying they are sending an ambulance.

It was well acted though, apart from the "John! " being a bit weird as he's never really established that name.

They never referred to what work he's been doing though since moving back from Napa? Apart from him being too tired to go out in the second movie. Wasn't he rich enough to retire in s4?

by Anonymousreply 328December 10, 2021 9:57 PM

At least he didn't die in the nude, like Marilyn.

by Anonymousreply 329December 10, 2021 9:58 PM

It was wise for SJP not to do any press on this, as all of the questions would only be about Kim and Willie, which would have been a disaster for her

by Anonymousreply 330December 10, 2021 10:04 PM

Didn't the guy who plays the gay bestie die in real life?

by Anonymousreply 331December 10, 2021 10:18 PM

R321 - “…I haven’t watched and don’t intend to.”

I wish I hadn’t. It’s the most cringeworthy thing I’ve seen in years, and I was a huge fan of the series.

by Anonymousreply 332December 10, 2021 10:27 PM

“She’s kind of our own Jackie Kennedy.”

That one line had me howling with laughter.

Could this show be any worse?

by Anonymousreply 333December 10, 2021 10:40 PM

Exactly R324. Why the hell didn't she rush over to him at once?!

And, what an odd funeral. Not really much of an eulogy from someone who is a writer. His brother said all of two sentences.

by Anonymousreply 334December 10, 2021 10:52 PM

But they were two sentences about Carrie.

by Anonymousreply 335December 10, 2021 11:01 PM

Some good observations on twitters

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336December 10, 2021 11:25 PM

Everyone is tired of Samantha’s sex puns. Especially at this age. It’s actually better she’s gone. However, the girls seem desperate and miserable. The fun is all gone.

by Anonymousreply 337December 10, 2021 11:30 PM

In 2021, Carrie needs to step her pussy up!

by Anonymousreply 338December 10, 2021 11:32 PM

I'm probably not being cynical enough, but I really enjoyed both episodes. Perhaps it's nostalgia from having I loved the original series, but I'm willing to give this new iteration a real chance. I think they've done a good job of updating these characters thus far. It definitely had that annoying over exposition that a lot of pilot episodes have, but I'm hoping the pacing and rhythm of the show will stabilize moving forward and spend more time showing us rather than telling us about their lives. Some of the scenes seemed like they were leading to something more, but then just went nowhere. SATC always had really tight episodes with clear arcs and you got the sense that the writers knew where they were going at all times and everything hit the right marks and beats. That kind of focus was lacking from these first two episodes, but I'm hoping that changes in future episodes now that we got the introductions out of the way.

I was never a huge fan of the Big character, so I'm pleasantly surprised that he's out of the picture moving forward, plus it frees up the Carrie character to explore being single (widowed) in her 50s.

I thought they handled Samantha's absence well and they didn't entirely diminish the character or shut the door on her potentially reappearing. In a way, she now looms larger than before so if Cattrall ever reconsiders a return, it will certainly be climactic and her scenes wouldn't have to just be shallow and superfluous as they were at times in the original series.

by Anonymousreply 339December 10, 2021 11:33 PM

[quote] In 2021, Carrie needs to step her pussy up

I'd like to step my mussy up but I'm not sure how.

by Anonymousreply 340December 10, 2021 11:39 PM

Is it wrong that I kind of want my memorial service to be like Big's? I thought it was all quite chic.

by Anonymousreply 341December 10, 2021 11:51 PM

I can see that r339

I feel like they are continuing the path they were on with the films. A real disconnect from the characters core personality traits.

Whatever made the original series so on the mark is completely gone. They’ll never recreate that magic again.

by Anonymousreply 342December 10, 2021 11:58 PM

I’m starting to believe most of you, in your 50s and 60s, are mentally and emotionally stunted. Almost everyone changes with age. I’m 35 and I can tell you I am very different than I was at 25, yet alone someone who is 55. The way you all keep comparing these women to their former selves is scary. “Well in the OG show she…” guess what, in the OG show she was 35. She’s 55 now. Maybe her thought process isn’t exactly the same. Maybe she’s slower now and more delicate. Maybe now she’s softer and not as bitter.

Time changes most of us. Situations change most of us. Relationships change most of us.

If you’re exactly the same as you were 20+ years ago, that’s on you. Most of the world isn’t.

And Carrie called Big John during the series finale, where we learn his name is John. They kept his name a secret until the finale. During the movies she called him John more than once.

by Anonymousreply 343December 11, 2021 12:08 AM

Another thing, most women grow more conservative with age. Carrie was always pretty reserved when it came to sex and sexuality, so I’m sure that is even more the case now as a 55 year old woman.

And you can be someone who doesn’t feel comfortable speaking in person about sex and feel fine writing about it for a column. Two completely different entities and dynamics.

by Anonymousreply 344December 11, 2021 12:10 AM

Yeah, yeah we all get old, but some of us do it gracefully and don't endlessly remind our friends whet relics we've become.

by Anonymousreply 345December 11, 2021 12:18 AM

That’s you. Maybe some people do discuss aging etc. just because you don’t doesn’t mean others dont.

by Anonymousreply 346December 11, 2021 12:20 AM

[quote] That scene with Miranda making coffee was clearly foreshadowing for Carrie's early onset Alzheimer's.

Oooh, that would be more interesting than Miranda fucking Cheryl.

by Anonymousreply 347December 11, 2021 12:37 AM

Miranda does not get the strap on.

by Anonymousreply 348December 11, 2021 12:39 AM

[quote] Is Evan Handler ill? He looked frail and too thin. I know he's a cancer survivor.

He was also beaten up by Nicol Williamson

by Anonymousreply 349December 11, 2021 12:41 AM

[quote] I don’t care how liberal someone is, no mother allows their teenage sons girlfriend to start sleeping over

My brother’s girlfriend used to sleep over on the occasional Friday or Saturday when they were 17.

Mind you, they weren’t dumb enough to have loud sex and leave rubbers everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 350December 11, 2021 12:44 AM

I did NOT like Sara Ramirez in this. That sequence was raunchy and totally uninteresting.

by Anonymousreply 351December 11, 2021 12:47 AM

[quote]lets Harry bang her box once per month.

Don't forget the blowjobs! She made a point of telling Carrie and Miranda that one of her daughters walked in when she was on her knees blowing Harry.

by Anonymousreply 352December 11, 2021 12:48 AM

In the trailer Carrie says she is selling her and Big’s apartment because she can’t sleep there and feels it’s haunted now. That’s why she ends up at her old place. She puts the new one on the market.

by Anonymousreply 353December 11, 2021 1:08 AM

It's almost impossible for me to see Nicole Ori Parker without hearing her declaring herself "chocolate love!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354December 11, 2021 1:18 AM

[quote] That sequence was raunchy

A raunchy sequence, in the sequel to "sex and the City"? You're joking!

by Anonymousreply 355December 11, 2021 1:42 AM

Isn’t SJP filming Hocus Pocus 2 right now? That could explain her absence from the talk show circuit. She would have at least done WWHL with her buddy Andy. I think AJLT wraps next week. They worked around so many different schedules plus Willie’s illness they did not shoot episodes in sequence.

by Anonymousreply 356December 11, 2021 2:06 AM

I never saw either of the movies. I lost interest after the last season with Carrie and Mikhail Baryshnikov and her wearing that stupid ridiculous giant foofy dress in Paris that would in no way have fit into a suitcase. And I have no desire to see this new series - the ladies were looking peaked in Season Four, and Samantha was an old woman by Season Six. From what I heard about the movies, they weren't better.

At what point did SJP gain more control over the series? Was it Season 6, after her initial contract was up, or was that Season 5? Usually on long-running series that's when they fall apart, because the lead assumes more control.

by Anonymousreply 357December 11, 2021 3:00 AM

R357 after season 3. Season 4 she became Executive Producer and a Producer etc. the shows tone changed and Carrie became some gorgeous hottie every man wanted and perfect and the girls worshipped her.

by Anonymousreply 358December 11, 2021 3:05 AM

So it became science fiction?

by Anonymousreply 359December 11, 2021 3:08 AM

Yeah I remember there was a big tone shift around the middle of the series and SJP's outfits became progressively more ridiculous. I enjoyed the series up until that point, then it had scattered moments of good writing and then it just fell apart.

by Anonymousreply 360December 11, 2021 3:13 AM

Season 3 was its best season. Season 4 was pretty good… season 5 was meh, and season 6 had its moment, but the za za zoo was gone.

by Anonymousreply 361December 11, 2021 3:15 AM

…hah i think the correct spelling at r361 is zsa zsa zsu.

by Anonymousreply 362December 11, 2021 3:17 AM

‘And Just Like That…’ Delivers HBO Max’s Strongest Series Debut:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 363December 11, 2021 4:20 AM

I was disgusted by myself for finding Sara Ramirez charming in a scene.

by Anonymousreply 364December 11, 2021 4:27 AM

I feel the need to point out that Miranda won’t be becoming a lez when she fucks Sara’s character. What do we call someone who’s fucking a non-binary?

by Anonymousreply 365December 11, 2021 5:28 AM

1. The fact the non binary person says that Carrie needs to step up her pussy could have been a great moment where Sara's character whispers: I hate woke shit sometimes, too. Sshhh. But because Sara's character said that without realizing how offensive it was made it just...odd.

2. There were so many scenes that seemed to indicate the start of a storyline, but I fear they won't go anywhere. It was weird. The secretary, Big's brother, random past characters. Weird. It was like watching a bunch of different shows going at once.

3. Miranda's character is a fucking mess. And not in a good way. So she's a drunk? Please. And she suddenly doesn't know how to talk to a black person? Miranda? A powerful NYC lawyer? Suuuureee.

4. I actually like how they handled Samantha's exit. The one thing that worked for me.

by Anonymousreply 366December 11, 2021 5:40 AM

[quote] A raunchy sequence, in the sequel to "sex and the City"? You're joking!

Yes but the old raunch fit the vibe of the original series and the ages of the performers. This time it stood out like a sore thumb.

by Anonymousreply 367December 11, 2021 6:13 AM

GLAMOUR!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368December 11, 2021 6:18 AM

So Miranda is either leaving Steve for Che, becoming a they/them or both

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 369December 11, 2021 6:22 AM

Does anyone ACTUALLY dress like Carrie? She looks like if you gave a black card to a hobo that's lived in a van for 3 decades

by Anonymousreply 370December 11, 2021 6:36 AM

Why is Big's assistant called a secretary? that sounds so old-fashioned. Didn't Samantha or Miranda have a gay assistant? And Brenda Vaccaro is 82. Who has an assistant in their 80s?

by Anonymousreply 371December 11, 2021 6:47 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372December 11, 2021 6:52 AM

R361 if you watched the episode and listened to the dialogue both of these questions were answered.

by Anonymousreply 373December 11, 2021 6:52 AM

[quote]When Carrie saw Big on the floor, she paused for a looooong time. If I had seen my hubby obviously having a heart attack, I wouldn’t have stopped to take a long pause.

The look on her face was "ooh, this is a problem I don't like," which seemed really off to me. She knows he's got nitro pills and she didn't go get one, and she didn't call 911, and during the pause she seemed irritated at first.

I suspect this is all about bad writing and nothing more, but people are really put off by the whole scene, and I don't blame them.

by Anonymousreply 374December 11, 2021 7:14 AM

This show sucks donkey balls. Mark my words, it won’t be renewed.

by Anonymousreply 375December 11, 2021 7:15 AM

R375 it already was, and it was allegedly HBOMax's biggest debut. If it sees a Season 3...well, who knows

by Anonymousreply 376December 11, 2021 7:16 AM

[quote]I’m starting to believe most of you, in your 50s and 60s, are mentally and emotionally stunted. ... The way you all keep comparing these women to their former selves is scary.

You're talking about two different things here.

The people criticizing the talk about being old on AJLT are complaining about how it's heavy-handed and doesn't feel genuine. Someone earlier said that these women seem like they've been in a coma and suddenly woke up and realized it was 2021 and they were in their 50s and the world had changed, and that's a problem with the writing.

That's not the same thing as someone believing a 35yo woman should be the same when she's 55 years old.

by Anonymousreply 377December 11, 2021 7:18 AM

Was Cattrall also upset about SJP being Executive Producer? Because, on thus, BOTH Nixon and Davis got Executive Producer credits.

For those saying Cattrall will cave and eventually show up, or that people behind the scenes are still trying to get her to come on, she will never do it. She will never be "special guest star" on a show where those three are Executive Producers.

by Anonymousreply 378December 11, 2021 7:21 AM

I don't find it that hard to believe that someone like Miranda gets her foot in her mouth that easily. Plenty of professionals and socially adept people have bad days or get caught by surprise by something and then have some awkward hilarity ensues moment. For comedy purposes it went far too long with Miranda digging herself deeper with every new comment.

by Anonymousreply 379December 11, 2021 7:31 AM

What's up with Covid in AJLT? Are we now in a postcovid NYC, where everyone is maskless and Ramirez smoking in the elevator? I wouldn't care but they mentioned Covid multiple times and I would have rather not even had a reminder of it.

I've read all the reviews and there are insinuations that all is not well with Big's estate and we will see some sort of fallout from it. Apparently, Carrie's POC friend will be an Indian real estate agent who becomes Carrie's confident. Apparently she is the most like Samantha and she allegedly calls Carrie out for being the self centered bitch that she is. I'm excited for this character.

The writing was terrible. Harvard educated, major law firm partner making at 35, NPR bag toting, black man dating, gentrified Brooklyn living Miranda would not know how to talk to the professor and starts talking about her nappy braids?!?!?!?! Who is this woman???? I could see Miranda thinking she was smarter than the professor, bragging about her Harvard education (Miranda ONLY drinks out of her H Law School mug) and the professor accusing her of white privilege or being a white know it all, but that's it. Her character makes no sense and she was one who grew the most in series 1-6.

Not only is Stanford's character appealing, but yet again Carrie treats Stanford like shit, asking him to go hide in the closet so that Charlotte doesn't feel put off. I would have told Carrie to fuck off long ago.

Charlotte might have become rich from squatting in Bunny McDougal's apartment, but I don't see her and Harry at the level where they would buy 5K plus Oscar De la Renta dresses,especially for a tom boy daughter who clearly doesn't like things, as if she is picking up something from the Gap. It doesn't work.

They did Samantha very dirty with the comments about London being the hotspot for 65 year old women. Also, when on earth did Samantha EVER need anyone's money. In fact Samantha was always the first to offer money when someone was in trouble. Samantha would never drop Carrie over PR services. In fact, Samantha's fee for her PR services for Carrie in SATC were "two martinis and a lunch". Carrie was the broke ass whore of the show and Samantha was probably the richest, in terms of being independently wealthy.

A lot of the reviews also hint that they do Stanford very dirty in his death as well which will be also in the first 4 episodes. It better not be of AIDS or something like that.

New York has never looked so lack luster. Carrie replaced her name plate with the shape of NY on her gold necklace.

It was actually worse than I thought. I thought we were all making a big deal out of nothing, assuming it would go in the direction it actually did, but that it would actually be smart and clever. Most people on DL were right about this clunker.

by Anonymousreply 380December 11, 2021 7:43 AM

I agree with everything you said, R380. It was Carrie treating people like ATMs, never Samantha. Just a way to take a dig at Kim Cattrall.

by Anonymousreply 381December 11, 2021 7:51 AM

I think a lot of people are assuming that this is all going to end with the ladies getting a kind of wake-up call or comeuppance to balance out their selfishness in these first episodes, but I don't think that's going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 382December 11, 2021 7:56 AM

Per the Daily Fail, which has been right so far in spoilers (Samantha in London and Big being killed off) episode 3 is Garson's last appearance

by Anonymousreply 383December 11, 2021 7:57 AM

As if MyFather McCain would have been a fan of the original with its gays, women having extramarital sex, not having baby fever, etc

by Anonymousreply 384December 11, 2021 8:07 AM

I’m convinced most of you never watched the OG show. Your comments show it. Or you’re just ignorant and finding reasons to complain, which is most likely the cast.

Miranda speaks in this how she did in the OG show. She always spoke freely like this. The difference is that in the past it was acceptable and now it isn’t. She’s 55. She’s not one of those kids sitting in that class, she is from a time where you could say certain things and not be canceled. AND SHE NEVER CALLED HER HAIR NAPPY BRAIDS. EVER. The episode is there to watch r380. She said that the professors braids threw her off because on the website she had a short haircut. She said nothing about her hair being “nappy”. That’s your own racism and you projecting your thoughts, like you seem to keep doing. You also keep going on and on about how because you assume you would react a certain way to things that everyone else would. Not how life works. Not how humans work. Sorry to break it to you. Maybe you should sign out of DL and go read a book.

If she hooks up with Che, that doesn’t mean she’s a full fledged lesbian. Jesus. The ignorance from GAY MEN.

by Anonymousreply 385December 11, 2021 8:17 AM

R377 no. It’s that way because it’s a series, not a Documentary, and the last time we saw these women they were 41. They’re now 55, and a lot has happened in this world since we last saw them. This world has changed drastically since we last saw them. They’re acknowledging this.

by Anonymousreply 386December 11, 2021 8:20 AM

What? I never said it was a documentary, r386.

What I said was that the writing meant to convey that they were older and that it was a new and different world was ham-handed and poorly done.

by Anonymousreply 387December 11, 2021 8:23 AM

I'm still baffled that this mess (and I'm including the movies) and The Comeback (which is brilliant) were written by the same person

by Anonymousreply 388December 11, 2021 8:23 AM

R387 how was it poorly done? I disagree. I’m curious as to how you would have the girls acknowledge it

by Anonymousreply 389December 11, 2021 8:25 AM

It’s not a mess at all. I actually think it’s great. Episode 2 was strong.

by Anonymousreply 390December 11, 2021 8:26 AM

The difference to me is in 2021 Miranda’s law firm would have had mandatory diversity training. She would have worked with people of many races and backgrounds. She would have encountered different parents and people in the course of raising her son. That’s why it was clunky to me. Then again maybe she’s meant to illustrate why we need things like diversity training.

by Anonymousreply 391December 11, 2021 8:29 AM

I agree with you R380 - Miranda is a bit off.

I guess they have to cater to part of their audience and use product placement but things like the De La Renta dress are awful. Charlotte is a kind should but I find it hard to like someone like her who is a snob and never worked for her wealth.

Has Carrie stopped writing?

by Anonymousreply 392December 11, 2021 8:30 AM

Chris Noth: "I'M FREE BITCHES!!!! YOU ARE NEVER SEEING ME AGAIN!!!"

by Anonymousreply 393December 11, 2021 8:32 AM

R391 and she has worked with different people. Diversity training never works. It’s literally a few days of “what to say and how to act”. You think you change your way of thinking from that? Let’s be real.

Working with different people doesn’t change anything. My white boss has tons of brown and black employees and he always asks questions that many can take as ignorant, I even told him he should be careful with how he words his curious questions. Miranda’s comment wasn’t racist, and unlike your lie about her saying “nappy”, she meant no harm, and in 1999 that comment would have meant nothing, but in 2021 things are different. There are real life lawyers and doctors who have to deal with POC and are actually racists. Did you know that?

by Anonymousreply 394December 11, 2021 8:35 AM

I always knew Carrie would kill Big one way or another so that part rang true at least.

I really, really hope they do not bring back the Aiden character. That is played out entirely. In real life he would run if he saw her on the street.

by Anonymousreply 395December 11, 2021 8:37 AM

R392 you are r380. Just checked your posting history. Funny how you keep replying to that same account. And you clearly didn’t watch the episode. What does Charlotte marrying wealthy have to do with anything?

Nothing you said at r380 is accurate, so why are you agreeing? You even made up that Miranda called her hair nappy.

by Anonymousreply 396December 11, 2021 8:38 AM

R396 I am not R380 I don't know if you are mistaken or deliberately lying. And I did not make the hair comment. Get your facts straight before posting shit.

by Anonymousreply 397December 11, 2021 8:42 AM

Sorry, R394 I’m not the same poster who said she called her braids nappy. I understand what you’re saying and agree that a corporate diversity session is not going to change hardwired racists. Maybe I just had a higher opinion of Miranda’s professionalism.

by Anonymousreply 398December 11, 2021 8:43 AM

R392 I mean! And no I haven't watched it yet, I'm going by what I've read

by Anonymousreply 399December 11, 2021 8:44 AM

Can the troll please take a Xanax and a hike

by Anonymousreply 400December 11, 2021 8:46 AM

R397 yeah you are them. And you say you didn’t post the hair comment yet you made a post agreeing with it even though Miranda never said that….. someone else other than him would have corrected that and called him out for claiming she called her hair nappy. You agreed with it. Hmmmmm

by Anonymousreply 401December 11, 2021 8:48 AM

R398 but Miranda isn’t a hard-wired racist. She’s a 55 year old woman who needs to make sure that in 2021 she watches what she says. She said nothing wrong in context, it’s her wording. But she isn’t a racist.

by Anonymousreply 402December 11, 2021 8:50 AM

R401 you are a lying cunt

by Anonymousreply 403December 11, 2021 8:52 AM

I agree she’s not racist, R402. I’m not making my point apparently but that’s on me.

I wasn’t a huge fan of it, but I kind of preferred how the Mad About You reboot handled their own prior lack of diversity, by just weaving in characters who were diverse and knew to the audience, but in the context of the show’s backstory would have been in the main characters’ lives for several years already.

by Anonymousreply 404December 11, 2021 8:58 AM

The zsa zsa fucking zsu. Fucking Berger. That was by far the worst season.

by Anonymousreply 405December 11, 2021 8:58 AM

R403 I’m lying? When did Miranda call her hair “nappy”, as you said?

by Anonymousreply 406December 11, 2021 8:58 AM

r390 is not r382. Anyone who cares can do the ignore-dar thing and see for themselves.

by Anonymousreply 407December 11, 2021 8:59 AM

They didn't call her hair nappy, r406, you've got posters confused. Stop accusing them of it, they're not r380.

by Anonymousreply 408December 11, 2021 9:00 AM

Hey boo r407, but they are the same person. Using two accounts (now 3), doesn’t change that you’re the same human behind those accounts. Maybe act like a normal person and stop replying to yourself.

by Anonymousreply 409December 11, 2021 9:01 AM

There's a great deal of DL catnip in the comments section of the NYT pan, with an army of fraus enraged that a man would dare review a piece of entertainment about and ostensibly targeted at women:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 410December 11, 2021 9:02 AM

Carrie should have never ended up with Big, ever. That was apart of the original show’s downfall.

Second, this is just miserable people in their 50’s being in their 50’s.

The original show was women in their 30’s still living despite not being married or having kids before 30.

This is the polar opposite.

It should have been a sexy Golden Girls in NYC. Not Desperate Housewives.

by Anonymousreply 411December 11, 2021 9:13 AM

[quote]Maybe act like a normal person

You're the jackass with the Jessica Rabbit tattoo, and also the person who had a meltdown over how "upset" the West Side Story remake made you. Now you're trolling this thread, pretending a bunch of unrelated people are all the same person out to get you, and you're telling everyone else to be normal. Sure, seems legit.

Sober up and fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 412December 11, 2021 9:17 AM

Girls, girls, girls. You're all nappy haired hos.

by Anonymousreply 413December 11, 2021 9:17 AM

Thank you R407 R408

I made the comment in spite of Charlotte being a kind soul I find it hard to like/respect such a status-conscious social climber who never made her own way, what's so hard to understand?

by Anonymousreply 414December 11, 2021 9:19 AM

I would have done the Big death scene differently. Carrie comes in and sees Big on the bathroom floor. She calls 911 immediately and Big dies in her arms during the call. A crying and panicked Carrie slips off her shoes in the water and starts CPR. The scene ends with a closeup shot of Carrie’s wet Manolos and Carrie’s voice saying “And just like that, Big died.”

by Anonymousreply 415December 11, 2021 10:10 AM

[quote] Per the Daily Fail, which has been right so far in spoilers (Samantha in London and Big being killed off) episode 3 is Garson's last appearance.

I guess the awkward exposition why Standford was missing in the scene inside the building, where the recital was held, in episode one was to cover up the fact he was already dead when that particular scene was filmed, but still alive when the show filmed the scenes in front of the building?

by Anonymousreply 416December 11, 2021 10:44 AM

I thought the intention behind Carrie’s reaction to Big’s heart attack was that she realises he's only a few moments away from death, and therefore wants to spend those last few seconds of his life holding him, rather than scrambling for her phone or a nitro-glycerin pill.

However the scene wasn't done well, and it just looks like she's waiting for him to die instead.

by Anonymousreply 417December 11, 2021 11:04 AM

I thought it was about SJP showcasing her range by taking it slow to catch on what is happening. To me, the transition (although a bit slow) was beautifully done (calm and collected - WTF? - Panicky). Call me Mary!, but that scene was a perfect Emmy win (or at least a nomination) moment.

by Anonymousreply 418December 11, 2021 11:14 AM

I think that very few people would just stand there knowing that their partner will die and waiting for death to occur. The normal human emotion would be to panic, scream, and try to help.

When my dog died, I tried to perform CPR in the back of the car while my partner was driving to the emergency vet. Did I know anything about animal CPR? Of course not, but the normal response is to try to help, even if it doesn’t work.

The acting was great in Big’s last scene, but I think the final cut before his death was too long. Calling 911 wouldn’t have saved his life, but it would be human nature to try to save him somehow. Carrie put up more resistance when the robber tried to steal her Manolos, and not doing anything is not in line with Carrie’s character imo.

by Anonymousreply 419December 11, 2021 12:00 PM

I actually liked this sequel better than the original. But my favorite parts of the original were when Carrie was selfish, unfeeling, and mean.

The inappropriate funeral outfit, her unfeeling treatment of Brenda Vaccaro, and letting her husband die were just what I like in the show.

by Anonymousreply 420December 11, 2021 12:15 PM

I loved it when Carrie made the female funeral employee think it was her fault that she was bailing on them. That was some dark comedy, with Charlotte bawling and Carrie being pissed off that her friend is making such a fuss. And later pushing Charlotte in a car to put some distance between them.

by Anonymousreply 421December 11, 2021 12:19 PM

"Woke"?

Please.

Nothing announces White Privilege more than to be as damn unlikable as Carrie, Miranda and Charlotte and still have the fan base this has.

by Anonymousreply 422December 11, 2021 12:28 PM

I just read this:

"Ramirez said during a junket interview with the media on Friday.

“You’re going to get some electricity, and that’s what we’re seeing,” they continued. “I think Che is also really inspired by the kind of fierce parent that Miranda is with her kid because Che did not grow up with that type of protection. So they are inspired and they’re intrigued [by Miranda].”

It's the first time I've seen this they malarky (thanks, Biden) written out in mainstream as if it's to be taken seriously. And it should be accepted and respected politely, it matters to the person being the they. But it just looks painfully silly

by Anonymousreply 423December 11, 2021 12:51 PM

I got thinking on the NYT review.

First, biggest debut or not, it isn't much of an accomplishment. It's like asking everybody not to look at twenty-vehicle pile up as traffic crawls by on the highway. People look. It's new and different and if you've been crawling toward it for an hour, you want to see. So the measure will be how does the audience hold?

Second, no matter the numbers, the critical reception was such you'd rather be West Side Story this December and And Just Like That. The best reviews were muted. As a creative effort, it has missed the mark. They gotta be feeling pretty flat.

Third, if you've seen Sex Education, you know how to do diversity and inclusion. That show is effortless about mixing it up. They just get on with it and tell stories. You saw accidental straying into that with Lisa Todd Wexley and total failure with Che (despite Ramirez giving a full on performance - great job, in the wrong show) and the gutting of Miranda and her painfully earnest bumbling through awakening (there's a reason someone her age holds the bannister on the way down the stairs first trip of the morning, and we're seeing it.)

I don't wish them ill. I'm sentimental about this franchise, warts and unlikeable and sniping and all. But the creative team missed the mark and let a lot of the audience down. In the end, though, it's a product for sale and the measure of everything will be how many people buy. I still expect to watch, but more to see how bad it gets. I did that with the Dynasty reboot, for example, which got so bad it wasn't even worth watching to see how bad it got.

by Anonymousreply 424December 11, 2021 1:00 PM

Okay, my turn to feed the troll.

R423, what do you think is malarkey? Do you think people to not become attracted to someone by observing their behavior? Or is it just behavior as a parent?

As someone who grew up with neglectful parents, I know that when I see someone being a good parent, I usually give them a lot of extra points.

It is part of human nature to admire people who do things that are unusual in your experience. Biden did not start it--it has been in their since the Bronze Age.

by Anonymousreply 425December 11, 2021 1:07 PM

Are you youngsplaining to 50- and 60-year-old people how aging works, R343 ? Ah, the arrogance of middle age.

by Anonymousreply 426December 11, 2021 1:29 PM

[quote]Delivers HBO Max’s Strongest Series Debut:

This is bullshit. This wasn't a Series Debut--it was the return of a beloved series. It had a lot of pent-up demand.

by Anonymousreply 427December 11, 2021 1:31 PM

Steve and Miranda’s son is ugly—and that’s ok. He doesn’t need to be gorgeous or even cute. Some teens are ugly. And they still have sex. The first episode was the only time I have ever found Chris Noth attractive. The other husbands aren’t hot and never were. I really need more of that hot producer on the podcast. As soon as I saw him I thought, “Carrie will hook up with him.” That was before I knew she would be single.

by Anonymousreply 428December 11, 2021 1:46 PM

So far, I like the new characters, especially Nicole Ari Parker. Yes, they should have gotten her real life FINE husband, Boris. They are just about the most beautiful “Hollywood” couple out there. That said, WTF with her character’s outfit in the scene where she visits Charlotte on the day of the funeral? Yikes! Charlotte’s funeral dress was awful, too.

Steve’s voice is even more annoying than ever.

by Anonymousreply 429December 11, 2021 1:53 PM

[quote] I thought the intention behind Carrie’s reaction to Big’s heart attack was that she realises he's only a few moments away from death, and therefore wants to spend those last few seconds of his life holding him, rather than scrambling for her phone or a nitro-glycerin pill.

I thought it was obvious

by Anonymousreply 430December 11, 2021 1:55 PM

[quote] Carrie put up more resistance when the robber tried to steal her Manolos

No she didn’t, she apologised to him!

by Anonymousreply 431December 11, 2021 1:58 PM

She held onto Big because she was making sure the poison she had slipped into his beverage was doing its work.

Each of the main characters will next die in mysterious ways until Miranda realizes it's been Carrie all along and confronts her in a dramatic scrabble through their apartment (Brady Brady is stabbed and dies in her arms moments before she looks up and sees Carrie standing in the clowet with a bloody knife).

They wanted Samantha to come back so badly because Carrie was planning on brutally murdering her in the vagina, as punishment for telling the press what a cunt SJP was.

It's a combination of the new Halloween movie and Sex and the City. "And just like that..." refers to the moment when a normal narcissist snaps and crosses the mental barrier into sociopathy and psychotic behavior.

by Anonymousreply 432December 11, 2021 2:06 PM

[quote]I thought the intention behind Carrie’s reaction to Big’s heart attack was that she realises he's only a few moments away from death, and therefore wants to spend those last few seconds of his life holding him, rather than scrambling for her phone or a nitro-glycerin pill.

How nice of her to think of herself in the moment. It was ludicrous, especially when she opens the door to Miranda and Big isn't even cold yet and her first words are ..."What do I do now?" Of course Miranda being a normal person says, you start making arrangements and that wasn't what Carrie meant at all. And if Carrie really cared about her 40 year friendship with Samantha she would have flown to London ( she's rich and has the means) and not just texted her. Serious pass this time.

by Anonymousreply 433December 11, 2021 2:07 PM

Oh and Big was working, and doing Peloton regularly, not a bed ridden invalid. She would have no idea it was really his last moments.

by Anonymousreply 434December 11, 2021 2:09 PM

Oh, she Knew.

by Anonymousreply 435December 11, 2021 2:10 PM

God, I hated this, starting when that bitch took a french fry off the plate. Karen Pittman is as boring an actress as her name. And I forgot how annoying David Eigenberg’s voice is. I won’t blame Miranda for walking out on Steve to shack up with Sara Ramirez’ character.

by Anonymousreply 436December 11, 2021 2:20 PM

A few random responses to other thoughts......

you can have wonderful health care services and not take the right advice, esp. if you have money. I had two well-off uncles like that. They died well before their siblings.

Miranda dated Blair Underwood--way out of her league, but whatever. The whole thing with the prof was stupid. Having her be a knowitall big firm Harvard type would have been more in character. Brittle, not 12 year old girl-ish

The minimalist funeral and the inappropriate outfit was the sort of thing the old SATC could get away with, but just seems stupid and inappropriate now.

I hope the Brenda Vaccaro character (meant to be still working as an old lady) creates drama even though the foreshadowing was the sort of thing that only needed harpsichord music to be straight out of an old fashioned daytime soap.

by Anonymousreply 437December 11, 2021 2:21 PM

Also...I agree with the poster who said it seemed like they'd been in a coma for 20 years and can't adjust to 2021. The aging and generational stuff is all too heavy handed and there is too much of it.

by Anonymousreply 438December 11, 2021 2:23 PM

Carrie pointed out that Gloria prefers to be called a secretary and I worked with an 80 year old Office Manager so it’s not unrealistic.

by Anonymousreply 439December 11, 2021 2:34 PM

[quote] Also...I agree with the poster who said it seemed like they'd been in a coma for 20 years and can't adjust to 2021. The aging and generational stuff is all too heavy handed and there is too much of it.

That might flatten out in a few episodes. They wanted something for the characters to respond to and went a little hard with it. I don't know, some of what came up is pretty new to people.

by Anonymousreply 440December 11, 2021 2:36 PM

[quote] Steve and Miranda’s son is ugly—and that’s ok. He doesn’t need to be gorgeous or even cute. Some teens are ugly. And they still have sex.

He needs dialogue. We hear about him and see him making out before he says a thing.

by Anonymousreply 441December 11, 2021 2:44 PM

R425, I think it is malarky because I accept the fact there are two sexes. So as a consequence all this carrying on about they/them and xe and non binary is in my view just a lot of self-indulgent retrofitting. So to see people taking it so self-consciously seriously seems ridiculous to me. It is a lot of elaborate pandering and performance that I expect in ten years will seem ridiculous.

Now that said, it's one thing to put that view forward on a message board. If I met Ramirez or anyone like her I would keep my views to myself. However I may see that person's beliefs, making them feel directly and personally under attack for those beliefs is bad manners, so long as those beliefs are sincerely held and not meant to do any harm. But I admit, I hold strong to my view that holding a harmless belief is not absolute protection from disagreement and holding it sincerely and deeply doesn't make it true.

So I think it is malarky because that is my view of the two sexes and all the extrapolation that is fashionable right now. It is obviously different a differnet view than yours. That apparently makes me a troll. My definition of trolling is communicating to inflame, rather than to observe, in language meant to fan those intended flames. I intended only to make an observation. I am secure enough in my belief system that I can bear different opinions without having to make accusatory slurs in advance, where a fair minded person can see the intent was to make a point, not start a riot. But you do do you, R425.

by Anonymousreply 442December 11, 2021 2:44 PM

R442, so you think her comments on the character being attracted to Miranda as a strong parent has something to do with being non-binary?

I hate to break it to you, but regular cisgender folk also observe how people parent.

And even if you do not believe that someone is non-binary, to dismiss her discussion of why the character is drawn to Miranda is just bizarre.

And if you are just going back and retrofitting your comment from R242 into being about the character being non-binary because you realize the point you made was illogical, that does not really work here. People can just scroll up.

by Anonymousreply 443December 11, 2021 2:57 PM

Yes, yes, dear. Spoiling for a fight, but you're not going to get it from me.

by Anonymousreply 444December 11, 2021 3:00 PM

R442, I owe a bit of a mea culpa... I wasn't referring to the comment about the strong parenting, I meant the use of the them/they terminology in the quote and by the writer of the article. I probably cut and pasted the wrong example from the article which I'm attributing to a fairly early morning and not much coffee. I caused confusion, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 445December 11, 2021 3:04 PM

Shit, I meant R443... Christ, these back and forths trying to hold a conversation. Anyway, not worth the effort.

by Anonymousreply 446December 11, 2021 3:06 PM

Thank you, R445. You write to well to be that illogical, so it was really weird.

by Anonymousreply 447December 11, 2021 3:07 PM

Trust me, I've been called weird and illogical a few times, in a few languages.

by Anonymousreply 448December 11, 2021 3:12 PM

My favorite part of everything I, unfortunately, watched was the part with the person in the Chuckie costume. I couldn’t stop laughing.

by Anonymousreply 449December 11, 2021 3:12 PM

Ok so the scene with Brady and his girlfriend…. I don’t get it. They were fully clothed. Were they having sex but just decided to be fully clothed? Did the producers think it was unwise to realistically portray 17-year-olds having sex? We’re they pranking their parents? Confused minds want to know!

by Anonymousreply 450December 11, 2021 3:21 PM

Miranda has strong birthing hips! She be good partner to nonbinary spawn!

by Anonymousreply 451December 11, 2021 3:21 PM

R425 he was referring to Biden's use of the word "malarkey", not his thoughts on parenting.

by Anonymousreply 452December 11, 2021 3:23 PM

So far it’s okay. It’s a silly fun show nothing too great. It’s not as good as the original of course but even the original wasn’t exactly The Wire.

by Anonymousreply 453December 11, 2021 3:27 PM

R437 - I don’t think they would’ve cast BV unless she had more to do. According to IMDB she’s coming back.

I thought Mario Cantone came off best. He’s grown as an actor. Strongest reactions. Best lines. Black Charlotte. How about you don’t say that to her? It’s a funeral, not the Moth. Home-runs.

by Anonymousreply 454December 11, 2021 3:30 PM

It should end like Seinfeld with all of them sitting in jail. Are the Seinfeld characters still sitting there?

by Anonymousreply 455December 11, 2021 3:44 PM

It was nice seeing everybody again and seeing them as aging adults has a lot of potential. Everything seemed off though and I thought the writing was pretty bad. The diversification/woke angle was laid on too thick. I thought Nicole Ari Parker's fellow tiger mom and Charlotte's friend was a good addition -- though she really hasn't done much yet. Even the podcast and cast, as annoying as I found it, seems like it could have potential. Miranda stumbling and bumbling repeatedly about what to say and what to do seems entirely unlike her and I just thought it was annoying/ She strikes me as someone who would know the new "rules" and would be up to date. She'd research it; and ask her son and his friends. Overall, it's doing to much. I'll stick with it. Big dying was a shock, though they really telegraphed it.

by Anonymousreply 456December 11, 2021 4:08 PM

Omg how many times are you gonna say the same shit over and over? At least 5 accounts here are posted from the same IP address.

by Anonymousreply 457December 11, 2021 4:12 PM

R457, how do you know that? There’s no way to tell which IP address someone is posting from.

by Anonymousreply 458December 11, 2021 4:14 PM

R458 it’s very easy when you have the tools to check bud. You must not know, anyone is traceable with the right equipment

by Anonymousreply 459December 11, 2021 4:16 PM

R459 you aren't creepy at all!

by Anonymousreply 460December 11, 2021 4:18 PM

Which post are you talking about, R459?

by Anonymousreply 461December 11, 2021 4:20 PM

That NYT review has gotta hurt.

by Anonymousreply 462December 11, 2021 4:25 PM

I loved episode 2. I thought it was beautifully done. However, Big’s older brother using his speech time to thank Carrie made me roll my eyes. SJP’s ego is ridiculous

by Anonymousreply 463December 11, 2021 4:31 PM

[quo[quote] Even the podcast and cast, as annoying as I found it, seems like it could have potential.

Just an excuse to talk dirty on HBO.

by Anonymousreply 464December 11, 2021 4:32 PM

Was the brother there for a purpose or was it just random?

by Anonymousreply 465December 11, 2021 4:33 PM

The focus on the funeral space was a bit odd. I know it's all about fashion and style, but I honestly don't think Big would have cared if it were in the normal funeral home.

by Anonymousreply 466December 11, 2021 4:33 PM

Is Carrie an orphan? No brothers, sisters, extended family?

by Anonymousreply 467December 11, 2021 4:38 PM

R465 to show Big had family… it’s his funeral. If he had family they would have been there. We see he has a brother. His mother we see in the OG show is probably dead.

by Anonymousreply 468December 11, 2021 4:39 PM

Plus SATC never focused much on the families of the characters. Yes, we got a little bit here and there - BIG's mother, Miranda's sister, Charlotte's brother -- but never regularly recurring characters and showing the main character's interactions with them. We got much more family of their love interests - like Trey's family or Steve's mom. I get not introducing broader family, even if for one funeral scene, for this limited series.

by Anonymousreply 469December 11, 2021 4:47 PM

I've have R457/459 on ignore so def a troll.

Della, that's a mystery that I always found puzzling. Charlotte and Miranda had relatives pop up but it's as if Carrie and Samantha were orphans. No relatives at funerals or weddings etc. Never a mention AFAIK.

by Anonymousreply 470December 11, 2021 4:50 PM

It has been discussed that it was a choice made when the series was created not to give the characters families or much of a past.

by Anonymousreply 471December 11, 2021 4:51 PM

If I hadn't seen the original show, I would've thought Steve was Miranda's father. His untreated hearing loss and voice seemed like someone in his 70s.

by Anonymousreply 472December 11, 2021 5:03 PM

Jesus R450. Were you hoping to see penetration?

by Anonymousreply 473December 11, 2021 5:04 PM

[quote] What do we call someone who’s fucking a non-binary?

Desperate.

by Anonymousreply 474December 11, 2021 5:06 PM

The twist will be that Steve leaves Miranda first. Otherwise, she's going to look like the cunt of all time for leaving her deaf husband just to get some non-binary nookie.

by Anonymousreply 475December 11, 2021 5:07 PM

R472 he looks like many men I see in their 50s. Hearing loss has nothing to do with being 70.

by Anonymousreply 476December 11, 2021 5:07 PM

The last episodes of the original series with Mikhail Baryshnikov (try spelling that without looking it up) completely sucked and the two movies were embarrassing cash grabs and K-CAT had no problem pocketing the cash from those

by Anonymousreply 477December 11, 2021 5:09 PM

I actually loved the final season of SATC. I don’t see how it was bad.

by Anonymousreply 478December 11, 2021 5:12 PM

And then she stopped, r477. Is their a point you want to make?

by Anonymousreply 479December 11, 2021 5:12 PM

People have their limits. If she doesn't want to do it, she doesn't want to do it. The previous cash-grabbing was obviously enough.

by Anonymousreply 480December 11, 2021 5:13 PM

R479 missed the point

by Anonymousreply 481December 11, 2021 5:16 PM

I had this visceral reaction of hate based on many of the same points above and then I had an epiphany. I think I'm sad that the world they used to inhabit, the ye old times of the late 90's/2000's are long gone and are never coming back. It's not about getting older but the world is a darker, drabber, more censorial, shittier place than it it was 20 years ago. All the fun, joy, and silliness is gone. The Golden Girls often gets compared, but they actually tackled race, homophobia, AIDS, and other tough issues while still keeping it light. Comparing these two series (though they are not comparable), The Golden Girls were are much more who I would want to be in my 50's and 60's than these people. Except that money, but Blanche had enough to live moderately comfortable and still have fun. Maybe it's just the times we live in, but fun, campy shows like Gossip Girl and AJLT have been zapped of all the silly, aspirational, over the top fun. All of these rebooted worlds look fucking bleak and maybe that's just a reflection of society today.

by Anonymousreply 482December 11, 2021 5:19 PM

When you're financially able, saying no to a job you don't want to do is a GREAT feeling.

In KC's own words: "I don’t want to be in a situation for even an hour where I’m not enjoying myself. I want to choose who I spend time with personally and professionally. It’s my life. I lost my dad seven years ago, to Alzheimer’s, and Mum has just turned 90. I’ve become aware there’s only so much time left. I went past the finish line playing Samantha Jones because I loved Sex and the City. It was a blessing in so many ways but after the second movie I’d had enough. I couldn’t understand why they wouldn’t just replace me with another actress instead of wasting time bullying. No means no.

by Anonymousreply 483December 11, 2021 5:19 PM

Anyone who sides with Kim Cattrall's cunty way of conducting herself publicly regarding her former co-workers is obviously a bitter cunt as well

by Anonymousreply 484December 11, 2021 5:19 PM

SJP and her hundreds of millions is more than financially stable than Kim

by Anonymousreply 485December 11, 2021 5:21 PM

Whether or not Kim was nice or nasty to her co-workers, she has the right to walk away. She doesn't owe anybody more Samantha Jones. She's right that they should have either recast or STFU after the third or fourth time she turned them down.

by Anonymousreply 486December 11, 2021 5:23 PM

R484 is the ghost of Willie Garson

R485 who has ever said otherwise? But Kim has obviously invested/saved well enough that she isn't desperate for an unpleasant paycheck. I'm not rich but I do well enough for myself that I can say no to jobs I don't want.

by Anonymousreply 487December 11, 2021 5:24 PM

HBO Max just got their most views ever

by Anonymousreply 488December 11, 2021 5:25 PM

Love all this weird Norma Rae Kim Cattrall nonsense

by Anonymousreply 489December 11, 2021 5:25 PM

R487 get a life loser

by Anonymousreply 490December 11, 2021 5:26 PM

If the series does well, it will give HBO more reason to keep hounding Kim Cattrall and throwing giant checks at her.

If I were Kim, the only way I'd come back is with a Noth deal: 1-2 episodes, then kill off my character and forget my phone number.

by Anonymousreply 491December 11, 2021 5:26 PM

Kim regretted being part of this when Willie Garson died

by Anonymousreply 492December 11, 2021 5:26 PM

I was sort of surprised, R488. But on the other hand, I understand it. People are curious.

I don't think poor or mixed reviews matter at all anymore. People will just want to check it out for themselves regardless to see if they agree with the reviews and then review it themselves on social media.

by Anonymousreply 493December 11, 2021 5:27 PM

It's really common for a reboot's first couple of episodes to get high ratings. Everybody wants to see what the cast looks like. The real test is if the later episodes get strong ratings, too.

by Anonymousreply 494December 11, 2021 5:29 PM

Oh please...This homegurl R487 would have done a walk-on for free and paid for his own transportation

by Anonymousreply 495December 11, 2021 5:30 PM

I think the nasty meta jabs at KC's age, her using Carrie as an ATM, ghosting, etc felt very personal from the writers room of a bitchy queen and a nasty cunt, which lends support to KC's accusations. They could have taken the high road and let it be. Whether it was here or somewhere else, I read a comment about how they must filmed that bitchy scene early on in production and realized what a steaming pile of shit the series was and started back peddling. This past week, there was a huge media blitz about always leaving the door open for Kim, a lovely, touching, send off to Samantha setting her up for a triumphant return if she chooses". If I were on the fence, that opening scene would have killed it. I'm sure both are cunts but SJP is definitely feeding it.

by Anonymousreply 496December 11, 2021 5:30 PM

R494 the films both made a shit ton of money. This show has a built in audience, and even larger one now because people who were young while it originally aired are now adults and watch it.

by Anonymousreply 497December 11, 2021 5:31 PM

Maybe, R497. We'll see what the ratings look like in a month or two. It's possible the reboot will do well: My point is you can't tell from the debut ratings.

I agree that opening scene was really cunty about Samantha. If they really wanted to leave the door open, they could have had the falling out and Samantha's move to London as plot pieces WITHOUT the ATM comment or jabs about her age.

by Anonymousreply 498December 11, 2021 5:33 PM

Kim is worth at least $40 million. I doubt she’s concerned about her financial stability R485.

by Anonymousreply 499December 11, 2021 5:33 PM

Based on the scathing reviews, I think we now have the answer as to why reviewers were not sent advanced copies and it wasn't for fear of spoiling any surprises.

by Anonymousreply 500December 11, 2021 5:33 PM

I saw these meme that made me laugh:

"You know what? I think Samantha may be assuming Annabelle Bronstein's identity. She's going all the way this time"

by Anonymousreply 501December 11, 2021 5:36 PM

Kim Cattrall has a net worth of 60 million. She's fine and can work when she wants.

by Anonymousreply 502December 11, 2021 5:37 PM

I was on FB and one of those pages posted their review criticizing the show, and decided to click the comments and it was mostly people defending the show. The top comment (most liked with tons of replies) said people need to get over it. The OG show was about 30 something women finding love, work and living a luxurious life in Manhattan while the sequel show is those same women, now navigating modern times in a much more PC world, in their 50s, etc. People can criticize it for not being SATC, but it rings true to many (mostly women) as you change as you get older.

It was nice reading a lot of viewers defending it.

by Anonymousreply 503December 11, 2021 5:37 PM

That's fucking hilarious, R501.

by Anonymousreply 504December 11, 2021 5:38 PM

[quote] Is their a point you want to make?

I know there's one I'd like to make, Della:

Oh, [italic]dear.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 505December 11, 2021 5:38 PM

[quote]I honestly don't think Big would have cared if it were in the normal funeral home.

The funeral was ALL about Carrie, as is everything.

Big would have wanted the funeral to be in his parents' church.

by Anonymousreply 506December 11, 2021 5:38 PM

Why do people INSIST they know what celebrities are worth? It's all guess work. No one is having their tax returns or bank statements reported to "celebrity net worth".

by Anonymousreply 507December 11, 2021 5:39 PM

R502 as if she told you that

by Anonymousreply 508December 11, 2021 5:39 PM

Kim Cattrall is worth over seventy-three billion dollars. it is amazing she could have made that much money, but somehow she did.

by Anonymousreply 509December 11, 2021 5:40 PM

You could argue that Big, an admitted atheist, wouldn't give a fuck about his funeral. A man with his money and experience could have left detailed instructions about his funeral. If he didn't, it's because he didn't care. They probably should have inserted a line about Big not leaving any arrangements. It often happens.

by Anonymousreply 510December 11, 2021 5:40 PM

That's great, R501. I forgot the name of the person who's card and identity Sam was using to get into Soho House.

by Anonymousreply 511December 11, 2021 5:42 PM

Ok, ok, I had that coming r505.

by Anonymousreply 512December 11, 2021 5:42 PM

Kim Cattrall has made over thirty million dollars in the last ten minutes on this thread!

by Anonymousreply 513December 11, 2021 5:43 PM

Big was an atheist? I loved that we learn he brings his mother to Church every week in the OG show. And Carrie makes it all about her.

by Anonymousreply 514December 11, 2021 5:44 PM

***BREAKING*** KIM CATTRALL SNEEZES CASH!!!

by Anonymousreply 515December 11, 2021 5:44 PM

Even if Cattrall only has a tenth of what is being claimed her, she is doing fine.

by Anonymousreply 516December 11, 2021 5:44 PM

R516 again, how the fuck would you know?

by Anonymousreply 517December 11, 2021 5:45 PM

SJP, C-NIX & K-DAV all have more money than Kim Cattrall so let's go on and on about their money and how fine they are doing

by Anonymousreply 518December 11, 2021 5:47 PM

Closer to $40 million.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 519December 11, 2021 5:48 PM

When was your last med R508? It may be time to take another dose.

by Anonymousreply 520December 11, 2021 5:48 PM

Whether 30M or 300M, she has enough to not have to take a series based on money. She's in her mid 60's and is sounds like she is joining team resignation after experiencing a series of tragedies. She's been working since the 80's. She'll be fine regardless.

by Anonymousreply 521December 11, 2021 5:49 PM

I’ve seen vague references in reviews to Willie Garson’s exit after episode 3, but anyone know how they will explain his absence?

by Anonymousreply 522December 11, 2021 5:49 PM

The most interesting part of this was the bowl of French fries.

by Anonymousreply 523December 11, 2021 5:50 PM

Kim's fine everyone! SHE'S FINE! Leave Kim alone with her money and let her live out her FINE life and make choices based on her love for the work

LEAVE KIM ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 524December 11, 2021 5:51 PM

R514, Big says he's an atheist in the church episode in episode 0112. He only takes his mother to church because she likes it. It's a little ritual they have, and of course Carrie barges in on it because it has always been all about her. No wonder if took him another 10 years to marry her, and only once he was old and tired and his health was breaking down. A young and vigorous John James Preston knew better.

by Anonymousreply 525December 11, 2021 5:53 PM

Who doesn’t love some good fries R523. But I hate when skinny women act like they’re being bad when they have a couple.

by Anonymousreply 526December 11, 2021 5:55 PM

Aging is a bitch, and it's depressing. It takes a miracle to make getting older look fun, "trendy", and comforting. Golden Girls did that by pretending that the leads (except Sophia, of course) still were able-bodied gals who can live their lives unburdened by age for the most time.

And Just Like That deals with moms having to deal with their rebellious children and death of a spouse. And that's in the first two episodes. The show will need more episodes to show us where the show and the characters are going at such an advanced stage in their lives.

by Anonymousreply 527December 11, 2021 5:56 PM

I'm anxiously Kim Cattrall's next series chosen entirely based on the quality of the material

by Anonymousreply 528December 11, 2021 5:57 PM

The role of Stanford Blatch from episode four on, will be played by Kim Cattrall R522

She needs the money.

by Anonymousreply 529December 11, 2021 5:57 PM

I thought it SUCKED and was very unchic to write all that dialogue about missing Samantha at the top of Episode 1. But I guess the social media low brow controversy trolls and SATC fans HAD TO HAVE CRYSTAL CLEAR NARRATIVE forced exposition. We wouldn't want SATC to be very high auteur art cinema like "Power of the Dog" (🤪) and hopelessly confuse and anger the Hoi polloi.

by Anonymousreply 530December 11, 2021 6:03 PM

The show would have been smart to go the GG route and started AJTL with the women as unattached widows and divorcees with grown children. If they'd respected the original timeline, Brady and Lily would be away at college, and the younger girl of Charlotte's could be at boarding school. Carrie should have already been widowed given Big's health problems, Charlotte could be unexpectedly widowed due to Harry having cancer or something, and Miranda really should be already divorced from Steve.

That way, all the depressing stuff is out of the way before the show begins. The SATC girls could have had fun and wacky adventures like the GG and kept something of the show's original spirit.

by Anonymousreply 531December 11, 2021 6:03 PM

There are three things you can count on in life:

1. Death

2. Taxes

3. Kim Cattrall choosing acting roles based on the quality of the material

by Anonymousreply 532December 11, 2021 6:03 PM

It's not about the quality of the material. It's about her right to leave a shitty job. Anyone can do that for any reason.

by Anonymousreply 533December 11, 2021 6:04 PM

Big may have been an atheist but he also seems to be socialized into the WASP ways of an earlier generation. The funeral is all about Carrie and her complaining about all the funeral gifts just seems ridiculous after wearing that dress and that hat.

by Anonymousreply 534December 11, 2021 6:05 PM

funeral gifts?

by Anonymousreply 535December 11, 2021 6:06 PM

My point is that, WASP or not, Big might not have cared about his funeral and left no funeral plans. In that case, it would be up to his widow, and of course Carrie made his funeral tacky and trendy and all about her. But he did marry her.

by Anonymousreply 536December 11, 2021 6:07 PM

If Big wanted a tasteful funeral at Frank E. Campbell, he should have stayed married to Natasha.

by Anonymousreply 537December 11, 2021 6:07 PM

Was I the only one who saw that first shot of Brenda Vacarro and thought "Kim Catrall really has let herself go."?

by Anonymousreply 538December 11, 2021 6:08 PM

R533 ask any actor how shitty of a job it is to be cast member on Sex and the City

by Anonymousreply 539December 11, 2021 6:08 PM

R535: She goes back to the apartment and there are fruit baskets, boxes of what i assume are candies, etc. in the hallway which she dismisses. I'm assuming this is some sort of monied equivalent of funeral potatoes. Her tone seems insulting to the thoughts of other people, which is pretty consistent with the whole funderal arc.

by Anonymousreply 540December 11, 2021 6:10 PM

Someone said upthread that they believe Big's wishes would have been a funeral at the posh funeral parlor where Charlotte had her meltdown. Big was a steak, scotch, and cigar guy who went to places where the servers wore white jackets, and dreamed of heaven being a big bed (remember that episode). He's a comfy, usable furniture kind of guy. Big would have complained on the atmosphere if he were alive - the stark white, the uncomfortable looking chairs. It was all Carrie.

by Anonymousreply 541December 11, 2021 6:10 PM

R541: He's really a Mad Man kind of guy despite being a generation younger and he would have gone out at a very traditional funeral, with a wake the at house that has good gin flowing.

by Anonymousreply 542December 11, 2021 6:13 PM

"Funeral potatoes" ?????

I have heard everything now!

Is this really a thing or was this a joke?

by Anonymousreply 543December 11, 2021 6:14 PM

Well based on the reviews, we know a sassy realtor will be entering the picture in episode 4 and they have laid the groundwork that Carrie is still in possession of her place (Stanford needs to retreat there after his fight w/ Anthony). I am guess that apartment is hitting the market soon & Carrie will be back in her old place. Did anyone notice how they recreated a little nook in their new place that was like a little slice of Carrie's old place with the books, furniture, etc that served as Carrie's office. I loved Big's workout area and shower. It was like an in home Equinox.

by Anonymousreply 544December 11, 2021 6:14 PM

Who knew entitled bitter straight women like Kim Cattrall had such a rabid supporting fanbase on DataLounge?

by Anonymousreply 545December 11, 2021 6:16 PM

**spoiler alert**

My colleague is a contractor for HBO and told me what’s coming. We’ve all been playing into this Kim Catrall drama; they did it on purpose. So Carrie ends up getting a heart attack….almost identical to Big’s situation in the shower. (They’re of course doing it to bring attention to women’s cardiac health.) Carrie dies, and guess who comes over from London to the funeral? Yup, Samantha herself. So cut to after the service, all the remaining girls get together and reminisce about their favorite moments with Carrie over cosmos. The audience sees a few seconds of each memory, as the girls shed tears and laughter.

by Anonymousreply 546December 11, 2021 6:18 PM

Where does that leave me R546?

by Anonymousreply 547December 11, 2021 6:21 PM

Any mention of Samantha spitting and or dancing on Carrie's grave, maybe in a Hamptons Hoedown style with now business partner Nina G?

by Anonymousreply 548December 11, 2021 6:22 PM

Anyone who believes that post needs to get beat up.

by Anonymousreply 549December 11, 2021 6:22 PM

R548 - There’s actually a very touching scene with Samantha at Carrie’s memorial service, where she says that Carrie was always her best friend, and she aspired to be more like Carrie, even though she never admitted it while Carrie was still here.

by Anonymousreply 550December 11, 2021 6:27 PM

Okay. To all the obsessive "Kim Catrall is six months away from living in a homeless encampment because she was too lazy to make a living, blah, blah...".

I have two words: dosage increase.

by Anonymousreply 551December 11, 2021 6:29 PM

And Carrie's funeral will bring a TON of people back for cameos, like the courtroom scene in the last Seinfeld. We'll see Smith Jared, Aiden, the Indian woman from the animal shelter with the crowing roosters, Amalita Amalfi, bisexual guy, Margret Cho's Lynn, the waiter at Saloon who impregnated her, the New Yankee, manic jazz club owner guy, even cringe face Nina, among many, many other random folks.

by Anonymousreply 552December 11, 2021 6:32 PM

***BREAKING****KIM CATTRALL REVEALED AS ORIGINATOR OF BITCOIN!

by Anonymousreply 553December 11, 2021 6:32 PM

[Quote]Who knew entitled bitter straight women like Kim Cattrall had such a rabid supporting fanbase on DataLounge?

I was going to post about the bitter Kim Cattrall haters. You remind me of the Meghan Markle hating loons.

by Anonymousreply 554December 11, 2021 6:34 PM

R552 - We could absolutely see some of those characters. But most importantly, we’ll see the hot, pot smoking comic book guy, and he’s a hot muscle daddy now.

by Anonymousreply 555December 11, 2021 6:35 PM

They should have installed Susan Sharon as Carrie's bold personality friend during the series, in place of Samantha. I always enjoyed her and liked seeing her at the funeral.

by Anonymousreply 556December 11, 2021 6:37 PM

Mourners will be encouraged to write their thoughts on Post-its, to be placed on Carrie’s casket.

by Anonymousreply 557December 11, 2021 6:43 PM

No r473, but who the hell wears clothes when having sex? You missed the entire point of my question.

by Anonymousreply 558December 11, 2021 6:46 PM

Carrie's voice over: "And they mourned my passing on friggin' Post-its ['Post-its' said as she previously said 'sruuunch-eee']. I don't know if you know this, but that is not good."

Unexpected Samantha voiceover: "But what Carrie couldn't possibly comprehend is that nobody was mourning; they were celebrating. But not a celebration of her life, as is common when people die; but a celebration of their lives without her."

by Anonymousreply 559December 11, 2021 6:48 PM

R557 - You win this thread.

by Anonymousreply 560December 11, 2021 6:48 PM

I want to see Natasha come back saying "Not only did you ruin my lunch 20 years ago, but you had to kill him with that fucking bike!" and bitchslap Carrie viciously.

by Anonymousreply 561December 11, 2021 6:49 PM

R558 ummm not everyone takes off everything when it’s spur of the moment

by Anonymousreply 562December 11, 2021 6:50 PM

"No [R473], but who the hell wears clothes when having sex? You missed the entire point of my question. "

Not many people (though it does happen), but why does it matter? You're upset at the lack of realism in a 30-second relatively unimportant scene? Maybe the actors didn't want to be naked, who knows.

by Anonymousreply 563December 11, 2021 6:50 PM

Kim Cattrall shits diamonds and rubies!

by Anonymousreply 564December 11, 2021 6:53 PM

Kim just posted this. Even a filter couldn’t hide all those wrinkles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 565December 11, 2021 6:53 PM

Oooh, burn R565.

Now run along. Your mommy has your lunch ready.

by Anonymousreply 566December 11, 2021 6:56 PM

During season 1 of the OG show we learn Samantha is 41 and the other girls are 32.

by Anonymousreply 567December 11, 2021 6:56 PM

As grating as the "non binary" character is, it's pretty true to life - she doesn't shut up about her non binary-ness and can't stop talking about masturbation.

by Anonymousreply 568December 11, 2021 6:57 PM

Now that Big's death is out of the way, the show could pick up steam.

The children slow it down (especially red head kid) so get them out stat.

But I like the Latina podcast dyke. She adds some spark.

The black-ish Ari woman is pretty (but also pretty boring so far.)

I would love to see Charlotte melt down some more and go off her rocker. It's time.

And Anthony is actually a welcome relief in this reboot. We need more of his snark (which I hated in the original.)

If they bring back familiar faces, I'd like to see them bring back Skipper (played by Ben Weber). Miranda was such a bitch to him. Would be great if Miranda got her dream job at some bleeding heart law firm, and had to work for Skipper, who is the head of the firm. He looks more distinguished now that he's older.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 569December 11, 2021 6:59 PM

I will watch the first episodes for Willie. I really loved him. Mostly because of his character in White Collar. I've never liked Sex and the City.

by Anonymousreply 570December 11, 2021 6:59 PM

I think Kim deliberately was so public about never returning so she wouldn't be able to change her mind. I appreciate her honesty in admitting she did the last movie to fund her later years

by Anonymousreply 571December 11, 2021 7:03 PM

I said I wouldn’t watch it and glad I didn’t. I love the DL threads though and will keep up with them.

by Anonymousreply 572December 11, 2021 7:04 PM

Skipper looks really good, R569, despite the not so great facial expression in the pic.

by Anonymousreply 573December 11, 2021 7:05 PM

To me, Kim represents getting out of a shitty job environment and not looking back. I've been there. When I gave my notice and my boss asked if I would stay on to help as a transition while they found my replacement, I said NO faster than he could blink. As soon as I got my last check, I blocked the entire management team. If I saw my old boss on fire, I'd grab a chair and some marshmallows.

Whatever happened, whoever was to blame, Kim was unhappy in SATC. That's undeniable. She got out and has the resources to not have to go back. Good for her.

by Anonymousreply 574December 11, 2021 7:06 PM

Was Willie gay in real life?

by Anonymousreply 575December 11, 2021 7:08 PM

I would have written it so that Carrie returns home to find Big having a heart attack after having had sex with Samantha, who is seen from behind slipping out of the apartment.

by Anonymousreply 576December 11, 2021 7:10 PM

I agree that they should have promoted Susan Sharon to full-time cast member. She's sassy and snappy but different enough from Samantha, and she has a long history with the series. I also kind of loved her mean alpha dick husband.

by Anonymousreply 577December 11, 2021 7:11 PM

I want Natasha to show up at Carrie’s funeral and tell everyone how she fucked her husband, ruined her life, and put her in the hospital.

by Anonymousreply 578December 11, 2021 7:13 PM

Carrie made the comments about changing and "we can't just stay the same" a few times in the first two episodes. Ironic seeing that one of the reasons KC didn't want to come back was that Samantha remained the same dick hungry character she was since the beginning. I like the idea of her being in London, hopefully hooked up with a cultured, intelligent, eccentric, wealthy Brit with a great sense of humor who is good in the sack.

by Anonymousreply 579December 11, 2021 7:15 PM

R576 Cattrall and Noth were both over the franchise (though Noth obviously not as deeply and still friendly). They should've pulled a Betty Broderick. Carrie comes home, finds Big and Samantha in bed together, blows them both to Kingdom Come.

After she's declared not guilty by temporary insanity, she rebuilds her life as a notorious UES murderess.

THAT'S a reboot I'd watch.

by Anonymousreply 580December 11, 2021 7:16 PM

It's funny that Susan Sharon is remembered by a lot of people and had an impact because she was only in two episodes. I guess that's the point; she was an impact side character.

by Anonymousreply 581December 11, 2021 7:16 PM

I should have said it was rumored that in the early drafts Samantha was being written as still dick hungry.

by Anonymousreply 582December 11, 2021 7:17 PM

Noth declined to do it more than once. They had to pay a lot to get him to do “two” episodes (really one).

by Anonymousreply 583December 11, 2021 7:18 PM

I thought Nicole Ari Parker was terrible - line readings you'd expect at an audition when just handed a script.

Sara Ramirez - barf. Just, barf.

Only the professor was interesting and real.

by Anonymousreply 584December 11, 2021 7:23 PM

R580, I don’t need it explained to me why it is unlikely that Kim Cattrall would be in my IMAGINARY scenario.

I am well aware that she is “over the franchise”.

by Anonymousreply 585December 11, 2021 7:23 PM

less Kim Cattrall more Chris Noth. Did he not want to be in it? Was his arm twisted to do one episode? Though he was also willing to fake involvement in the funeral to throw off the paps.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 586December 11, 2021 7:24 PM

And R580, “slipping out of the apartment” implies a body double with a wig not Kim Cattrall herself.

by Anonymousreply 587December 11, 2021 7:25 PM

The show is critic proof!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 588December 11, 2021 7:25 PM

It’s rumored that Noth received $5 million for this one episode.

by Anonymousreply 589December 11, 2021 7:28 PM

Samantha is 45 in the final season: she says, "I'm forty-fucking-five and have a young man who loves to fuck me." That would make her about 40 during the first season.

by Anonymousreply 590December 11, 2021 7:32 PM

R586 he was over the show, like Cattrall but enjoyed the people involved, unlike Cattrall.

by Anonymousreply 591December 11, 2021 7:36 PM

They should have gone in a new direction with the reboot, instead of killing off Mr. Big presumably so that Carrie can slut it up again in her 50s. She's no Austin Powers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 592December 11, 2021 7:37 PM

New thread darlings!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 593December 11, 2021 7:45 PM

Big's death worked both for Noth and the show. As the second movie showed, a happily married Carrie is boring as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 594December 11, 2021 7:46 PM

I don't like that they killed off Big. It casts such a sad cloud over the whole franchise. Now when people go back and watch the OG series, his impending death will linger in the back of their minds. They should have kept things light and airy. Sex and the City is supposed to be escapist television not depressing drama.

by Anonymousreply 595December 11, 2021 7:47 PM

I’m thinking the outdoor funeral scenes are for Stanford.

by Anonymousreply 596December 11, 2021 7:47 PM

R595 Noth was done with the role. What exactly should they have done, have him be on business trips constantly?

by Anonymousreply 597December 11, 2021 7:48 PM

[quote] As the second movie showed, a happily married Carrie is boring as fuck.

But a sad Carrie isn't great either. Divorce HBO was rather dour and unhappy. Realistic perhaps but not completely fun to watch!

by Anonymousreply 598December 11, 2021 7:51 PM

DataLoungers-n-Kim Cattrall still got the Zsa Zsa Zu!

by Anonymousreply 599December 11, 2021 7:51 PM

I had to stop reading this thread about 300 replies in. Can someone say whether the people referring to "the OG series" have finally saying "original" instead?

by Anonymousreply 600December 11, 2021 8:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!