Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jeopardy! #27 Season 38 Continues

Jeopardy #26 is paywalled and I keep wanting to say that current champion Andrew He looks like a troll doll. You have use your imagination a bit with the hair, but when he's smiling during the introductions or beaming after a win, he reminds me of a troll doll, especially around the cheeks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 596February 25, 2022 4:13 AM

“Did we ever miss a fucking bullet with missy Rodgers?”

by Anonymousreply 1November 16, 2021 7:00 PM

Would've loved to have seen that, R1!

by Anonymousreply 2November 16, 2021 10:11 PM

If Helen Keller were on Jupiter, and Amy was buried at the center of the earth, Helen could still see that Amy is trans.

by Anonymousreply 3November 20, 2021 2:28 AM

What is a Dory? 😂

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 24, 2021 1:46 AM

Amy's now tied for 8th in number of consecutive games won and 5th in regular season winnings. I'd love to see her continue her winning streak.

by Anonymousreply 5December 5, 2021 7:29 AM

I'm glad to see he lost. These "unbeatable" winners make the games boring.

by Anonymousreply 6December 6, 2021 11:27 PM

You mean Andrew He, R6?

by Anonymousreply 7December 7, 2021 12:10 AM

I posted this on the previous thread without realizing it was already paywalled...

[quote]I follow Buzzy Cohen on Twitter and saw that he had retweeted something Amy posted that seemed interesting. I couldn't find the thread when I went back to read it later, but I was successful when I searched "Amy Schneider Edibles." 🌿🥴

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 7, 2021 3:52 AM

And this...

[quote]She also posted a pic of the (not-a-Care-Bear) Outdoors Bear her mom made.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 7, 2021 3:55 AM

Professor Sam looked like Steve Martin if he'd had his head stuck in a vise long enough to squish it in. I giggled when he requested a clue from the King Tut's Tomb category.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 9, 2021 4:35 AM

From the paywalled Part 26 thread:

“Yes, LDS as in Mormon

All I could think of was Yangtze, though I knew it wasn't likely.”

No, not likely since the category is EUROPEAN RIVERS! 🙄🤦🏻‍♀️

by Anonymousreply 11December 29, 2021 1:15 PM

Sorry that I didn't catch the European part - apologies.

by Anonymousreply 12December 30, 2021 9:41 PM

I turned it off last night when the outcome was — as it has been for most of the last three weeks — inevitable. I’ll tune back in when Amy is gone. With any luck that’ll be soon.

by Anonymousreply 13December 30, 2021 11:15 PM

I love seeing her triumph without breaking a sweat.

by Anonymousreply 14December 31, 2021 12:52 AM

Getting a perfect SAT score is as impressive as, if less lucrative than, winning 22 Jeopardy games.

by Anonymousreply 15December 31, 2021 3:05 AM

OK it's time for Amy to lose. I don't mind her personality but I'm sick of so many dominant winners. We need a period of chaos

by Anonymousreply 16December 31, 2021 8:14 AM

This near back-to-back of Matt and Amy (ad nauseum) is freakish.

by Anonymousreply 17December 31, 2021 12:24 PM

Ran across my scrawled notes from last night on questions they whiffed, but I knew: Harris tweed, Borges, and (the photo of) Donna Brazile.

by Anonymousreply 18December 31, 2021 1:28 PM

Yes, a perfect SAT confirms it. She's a freak. So I was really surprised she missed Borges.

I am definitely impressed. My only criticism of her is the little smirk of "oh I got FJ right, but I am going to pretend like I didn't..."

by Anonymousreply 19December 31, 2021 5:30 PM

Yes, the 1600 SAT score was impressive. But Amy also said she was a slacker and didn't work very hard in school, suggesting school wasn't challenging her.

I was stunned no one knew Donna Brazille's photo too.

I knew Final likely was connected to an explorer of Antarctica, but had no idea of that explorer's name

by Anonymousreply 20December 31, 2021 8:42 PM

I got FJ but I wasn’t sure.

by Anonymousreply 21December 31, 2021 8:52 PM

Not much to say about tonight's show: I guessed the same as they did, though I knew about shirred eggs. Arjun was cute.

by Anonymousreply 22January 1, 2022 12:40 AM

Another Simon and Garfunkel incorrectly guessed here. That was really hard.

Happy New Year DL Jeopardy gang!

by Anonymousreply 23January 1, 2022 4:54 AM

R19, from Amy regarding Borges:

-I said Burgos instead of Borges because I was thinking of the character Jose of Burgos in The Name of The Rose (another great book!), who was in fact named after Borges.

by Anonymousreply 24January 1, 2022 7:08 AM

I guessed McCartney and Lennon for FJ. It was a guess, but felt it was likely correct. I was surprised they all missed it.

by Anonymousreply 25January 1, 2022 7:10 AM

Didn't know Paul M. had been a fat kid.

by Anonymousreply 26January 1, 2022 7:45 AM

I misunderstood the clue for Final. Guessed Elvis and Little Richard.

Happy New Year to all my Jeopardy friends on DL.

by Anonymousreply 27January 1, 2022 9:55 AM

R25

The question implied to most of us the answer was a famous duo, rather than two out of four.

by Anonymousreply 28January 1, 2022 12:28 PM

But L&M are the duo that are always paired. No one uses "Lennon & Starr" or "McCartney & Harrison" to describe their achievements. I took a lucky guess for that reason, although I had no idea they met at a fair.

by Anonymousreply 29January 1, 2022 1:22 PM

I remembered that Paul was young and John was a drunk when they met from the movie "Nowhere Boy," but was thrown by Paul saying he was fat because the actor who played him is skin and bones. Still guessed Lennon and McCartney.

by Anonymousreply 30January 1, 2022 2:48 PM

I guessed Sam and Dave.

by Anonymousreply 31January 1, 2022 3:35 PM

R24 Which describes something I suspect about Amy in real life...she is "never wrong." Always has a reason why she is right. I'd like to hear from her girlfriend on this, eh?

by Anonymousreply 32January 1, 2022 6:06 PM

Amy's apologizing like that does seem to indicate it's all about her. However, it could also be a defensive thing over potential criticism.

by Anonymousreply 33January 1, 2022 7:38 PM

Happy New Year to you as well, R23! How about we make a New Year’s resolution that when a Jeopardy! thread is paywalled, we all move to the new thread?

by Anonymousreply 34January 2, 2022 2:17 AM

How about we all pay the dollar a month for a membership?

by Anonymousreply 35January 2, 2022 3:58 AM

No thanks, R35.

by Anonymousreply 36January 2, 2022 6:23 AM

Then how about accepting the limitations your cheapness imposes upon you?

by Anonymousreply 37January 2, 2022 7:32 AM

When a thread is paywalled, it's not because it's popular. It's because it is monopolized by one or two loons, talking to themselves.

by Anonymousreply 38January 2, 2022 7:35 AM

R37 It's not the cheapness. It's losing the sense of anonymity.

by Anonymousreply 39January 2, 2022 7:44 AM

I won’t pay, R37, because because payment and Primetime brought down the quality of DL.

by Anonymousreply 40January 2, 2022 12:55 PM

Paywalls are temporary.

by Anonymousreply 41January 3, 2022 10:02 AM

If you pay, how do even know when a thread is paywalled? I just keep looking/posting in the paywalled thread until somehow the new thread makes it to my feed.

by Anonymousreply 42January 3, 2022 10:44 AM

The nonpayers’ contributions are too important to wait for a new thread. Dividing the discussion into two simultaneous threads is a small price to pay for their choice words.

by Anonymousreply 43January 3, 2022 7:17 PM

Another episode of The Amy Show, yawn...

Final was easy. Surprising none of them could come up with Requiem for a Heavyweight.

by Anonymousreply 44January 3, 2022 11:59 PM

I don't normally get tired of champions - for example, I was OK with both Matt & James long after most DL posters were dozing off - but for me, Amy is overstaying her welcome. Basically she's too placid.

Maybe I was too much of a fan, but The X-Files seemed a really obvious answer that was missed.

I'm so out of it re current pop music, the only one I knew from that category was Tyler the Creator, but that was only because it was such a giveaway.

Wasn't there a question about Gwendolyn Brooks just a week or so ago?

by Anonymousreply 45January 4, 2022 1:10 AM

Amy seemed sort of rattled and off her game in this episode.

by Anonymousreply 46January 4, 2022 2:56 AM

I guessed Requiem for a Dream.

by Anonymousreply 47January 4, 2022 3:10 AM

[QUOTE] Wasn't there a question about Gwendolyn Brooks just a week or so ago?

There was! It was about her famous poem “We Real Cool.”

by Anonymousreply 48January 4, 2022 3:36 AM

sick of Amy. Nothing about her personally. She's not annoying like Matt and James but I'm tired of the domination.

by Anonymousreply 49January 4, 2022 6:31 AM

This is how it was with Matt towards the end, R46. Cracks in the invincibility appeared until finally a confident enough opponent broke through. Getting no daily doubles tonight seemed like a harbinger to me.

by Anonymousreply 50January 4, 2022 8:44 AM

Huge payday for no daily doubles.

by Anonymousreply 51January 4, 2022 8:52 AM

The no daily doubles thing and the “appearance” of being off her game, was simply the manifestation of the “Monday Curse” that Ken Jennings alluded to on the show for repeat winners such as her. The manifestation of the supposed curse was to have no big betting moments (“$4,000”) and yet still ending up with a huge payday.

Amy’s just fine; she sends her love.

by Anonymousreply 52January 4, 2022 10:15 AM

Harsh was definitely not harsh.

Could FJ have been any easier?

by Anonymousreply 53January 4, 2022 1:11 PM

Next season there'll be a ten-game limit. Jeopardy can't go on like this. It gets stale.

by Anonymousreply 54January 4, 2022 1:17 PM

They should keep it as is- let the contestants stay on as long as they keep winning.

by Anonymousreply 55January 4, 2022 3:02 PM

Nope. Far too much risk the show will become monopolized by a boring viewer-killing contestant. Up till Amy they were pretty lucky the long-term players all showed some personality.

by Anonymousreply 56January 4, 2022 3:10 PM

I disagree in that of the two Amy is easier to take than James, relatively speaking as I've been done with her for a while now. Matt fell somewhere between them.

by Anonymousreply 57January 4, 2022 3:19 PM

This was the first time I've heard mention of the Monday curse befalling long running champions. Has it been mentioned before?

What Ken wasn't explaining was that they'd had a week off. Monday's episode was the first episode they had in a week. Gettng back into the groove often proves difficult for some champs, just like many of us are sluggish on our first day back at work after a long weekend or vacation.

Yes, Final was incredibly easy.

As for the X-Files Daily Double, I suspect Harsh is too young to have experienced X-Files mania of the 1990s.

by Anonymousreply 58January 4, 2022 3:29 PM

Amy has worn out her welcome. Now, she just comes off as smug.

by Anonymousreply 59January 4, 2022 3:37 PM

Yet each night when you look at the two contestants they've picked to face her, you know at a glance they're losers. .

by Anonymousreply 60January 4, 2022 3:41 PM

Amy's biggest fan . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61January 4, 2022 5:01 PM

wtf robbed?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62January 4, 2022 5:28 PM

R62, Were there any naked selfies on her phone?

by Anonymousreply 63January 4, 2022 5:43 PM

She's from Oakland. so... [italic]Quelle Surprise[/italic]!

by Anonymousreply 64January 4, 2022 5:52 PM

You wanted more Amy, you got it!

by Anonymousreply 65January 5, 2022 12:00 AM

Those of us who like, appreciate, or don't mind Amy don't feel the need to speak up as often.

by Anonymousreply 66January 5, 2022 3:03 AM

Circus was maximus tough.

by Anonymousreply 67January 5, 2022 3:13 AM

I only got it R67 because I figured Greek for ring would be something like circa, and then I thought of Circus Maximus. I too am quite tired of Amy. Bring in a ringer and take her out.

by Anonymousreply 68January 5, 2022 3:17 AM

They gave away "circus" by including the seating capacity and the Romans. I was stunned that they all got it wrong, especially Amy.

by Anonymousreply 69January 5, 2022 3:23 AM

It's not a question of disliking Amy. There's nothing to dislike. She just doesn't bring any buzz, any excitement, to the show.

by Anonymousreply 70January 5, 2022 4:42 AM

I went for Colosseum, thinking of collar and colon as something ring-like.

by Anonymousreply 71January 5, 2022 4:44 AM

I guessed Caesars Palace. So…

by Anonymousreply 72January 5, 2022 7:38 AM

I also guessed Coliseum for Final.

I wouldn't mind seeing Amy break $1 million, just for the record books. At the rate she's going will likely be in two more games.

by Anonymousreply 73January 5, 2022 7:47 AM

I thought of circus and rejected it in favor of arena.🤷🏻‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 74January 5, 2022 8:06 AM

Count me in the Coliseum crowd. However, I did get the Tagus River.

by Anonymousreply 75January 5, 2022 10:28 AM

It was mentioned that Amy seems to get easier Daily Doubles than any the contestants might score. Tonight, it certainly seemed that way to me. Final seemed obvious to me; knew Mummers Parade and Shastakovich.

I think my boredom with the show is now exceeding Matt's run.

by Anonymousreply 76January 6, 2022 12:01 AM

I knew the Mummers and Shastakovich as well.

I can't believe the Rose Parade was a DJ during the first round. That should've been a $200 question.

And poor Chantal, not knowing what the "A"NTONYM category was all about, guessing "ascend" when she should have easily gotten "abdicate." Some people really do deserve to lose badly.

I liked Mike, but unfortunately it wasn't to be.

I was looking on the Jeopardy website and I saw that tomorrow there's a contestant who's a "professional storyteller." At the risk of sounding like an idiot, I have no idea what a professional storyteller is. But I'll say this: the woman looks [italic]exactly[/italic] like I think she would look. And she's from Connecticut.

by Anonymousreply 77January 6, 2022 1:09 AM

Shame on Mike and Chantal for not knowing FJ.

Despite their ages, that was basic information any high school history class would teach.

Mike was fine, if you like tall, blond, masculine, hunky, white bread, milk fed, farm boy types.

Officially tired of Amy and after she breaks $1million tomorrow or Friday, she can please leave.

by Anonymousreply 78January 6, 2022 1:56 AM

I didn't get Chantal's category at first, but it clicked for me about 2/3 of the way through her ordeal.

Professional storyteller sounds like a Ren Fair performer to me.

by Anonymousreply 79January 6, 2022 2:03 AM

Landon?

I got FJ.... but I do think that either Amy makes her competition look weak, or they are weak. FJs have suggested it's the latter. I wonder if all contestants are in a pool, and picked in order. They never try to balance the panel. I'm just ruminating that it seems if they've got a live one they might want to make Amy's games more competitive.

by Anonymousreply 80January 6, 2022 2:33 AM

I've been thinking that travel limitations aren't coincidental to these recent steamroller runaways.

by Anonymousreply 81January 6, 2022 2:42 AM

R80, Alf, not Michael.

by Anonymousreply 82January 6, 2022 3:00 AM

R82 Ha.

Alf was Republican, Kefauver was Democratic. Alf ran in 1936 (no TV). It was an unbearably bad guess.

by Anonymousreply 83January 6, 2022 3:11 AM

Even Rose knew FJ. She should have. He was featured on Mount Losenbaden twice.

by Anonymousreply 84January 6, 2022 3:18 AM

Every night I check in here in the — thus far — vain hope that one day I will read of Amy’s defeat.

Tomorrow’s contestants do not look promising. As R79 noted, one is a “ professional storyteller.” The other is a delivery driver.

Oh, well.

by Anonymousreply 85January 6, 2022 4:11 AM

If I were Amy, I would be annoyed at Ken for goading the other contestants to wager more on DJ. It didn't change the outcome, but potentially cost her money in FJ.

by Anonymousreply 86January 6, 2022 5:33 AM

I knew Final was about the Democratic candidate, but blanked on who ran in 1952 and 1956.

Yeah, I'm finally feeling that Amy is wearing out her welcome. Let her break $1 million so she'll be in the records books, then send her on home.

Chantal missing the abdicate Daily Double is a prime example of why its best to start with the $200 clue. Starting at $200 gives you an idea of what the category is about with a fairly easy question. But Chantal picked the $600 clue as the first question from that category and it was the DD. She was unfamiliar with how the category worked and blanked.

by Anonymousreply 87January 6, 2022 6:31 AM

I like Amy. She’s not winning using tactics. She winning using knowledge.

by Anonymousreply 88January 6, 2022 6:35 AM

In both that DJ and FJ, Chantal made the beginner's mistake of just looking at the answer and forgetting the category.

by Anonymousreply 89January 6, 2022 3:34 PM

Is Professional Storyteller a euphemism for Pathological Liar?

by Anonymousreply 90January 6, 2022 3:39 PM

[quote] She’s not winning using tactics. She winning using knowledge.

A big flaw of Jeopardy is the "first to buzz in" thing. Amy's good at timing the buzzer, and that might be the case with most multiple winners. A lot of times you see them all hit the buzzer but it goes to Amy.

by Anonymousreply 91January 6, 2022 8:55 PM

That buzzer is a real "practice makes perfect" device. New contestants are at a horrible disadvantage to a long-term winner.

by Anonymousreply 92January 6, 2022 9:10 PM

The Battle of New Orleans was trickier than FJ. The professional storyteller turned out to be OK and a decent player. Is tomorrow Amy's million dollar day?

by Anonymousreply 93January 7, 2022 5:38 AM

Good game. I was impressed with all the players today. Wish every game was as exciting as this one.

I knew Final was talking about something in England thanks to the 1070s clue, but I couldn't think of a specific building.

by Anonymousreply 94January 7, 2022 7:21 AM

I thought the Battle of New Orleans was fairly obvious. I got Final, though ashamed to admit at first all I could think of was Stonehenge. Not sure I could have taken days or weeks of the not-dyslexic challenger.

by Anonymousreply 95January 7, 2022 8:06 AM

To quote Mrs. Slocum from "Are You Being Served?" : Weak as water! Described tonight's challengers.

Knew Bruno Haupmann and Judy Woodruff, but didn't get final?

by Anonymousreply 96January 8, 2022 12:49 AM

Why do contestants comfortably in 2nd place risk any amount of money that could put them behind the 3rd place contestant - thereby resulting in their taking home only $1K as a consolation prize as opposed to a guaranteed $2K?

by Anonymousreply 97January 8, 2022 1:02 AM

They’d rather have a good answer to “how much did you score?”

by Anonymousreply 98January 8, 2022 2:41 AM

I loved "Kon-Tiki" when I was a kid, so I knew FJ. Forgot Bruno's last name. Amy deserves every penny of her million after so many blow-out wins like this one.

by Anonymousreply 99January 8, 2022 3:29 AM

Amy's now in the Jeopardy millionaire's club!

by Anonymousreply 100January 8, 2022 4:11 AM

I wonder the same thing, R97.

by Anonymousreply 101January 8, 2022 5:53 AM

They seemed to be scraping the bottom of the barrel with Amy's mispronounced "misled."

Hopefully she can be deposed before we get to any anatomical reconfiguration anecdotes.

by Anonymousreply 102January 8, 2022 8:37 AM

I enjoyed Patsy's Kennedy boat story - one of the VERY rare times when I was intrigued by a contestant's anecdote.

by Anonymousreply 103January 8, 2022 9:40 AM

[quote]Hopefully she can be deposed before we get to any anatomical reconfiguration anecdotes.

You know, I would have preferred those questions being asked than the benign ones that she's been asked in the past.

Why beat around the bush?

by Anonymousreply 104January 8, 2022 11:36 AM

[quote]They seemed to be scraping the bottom of the barrel with Amy's mispronounced "misled."

Yes, it was almost as boring as the fact that Amy likes to take baths. But after 28 wins, I'd be running out of trivial things about my life to discuss too.

I knew Bruno Hauptman and Judy Woodruff. As for Final, I guessed Jacques Cousteau, because of the sea reference in the clue. Haven't heard mention of Thor Heyerdahl in 40+ years, so they were really going for an obscure Answer.

Congrats to Amy on breaking $1 million!!! Go Amy!

Anyone else note that Amy's bet in Final of $9,800 was such that even if she got Final wrong, she still would have hit $1 million. She started the game with $977,400 to her name. She went into Final with a score of $32,400. So, even if she got the answer wrong, the $9,800 bet would have left her $22,600 at the end of the game, which would have put her at exactly $1 million.

Anyone else catch the passing reference to Sean's husband? Ken mentioned it in his intro of Sean.

by Anonymousreply 105January 8, 2022 5:30 PM

The "misled" mix-up was almost as dire as the Grandpa Amodio anecdotes. Amy and Sean should have done some karaoke together, instead of just talking about it: maybe Cher's "Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)", which no one guessed.

by Anonymousreply 106January 8, 2022 5:57 PM

I find it amusing that the contestant who was asked about his psychological condition managed to miss all the psychology clues.

by Anonymousreply 107January 8, 2022 5:59 PM

Not only did I catch the reference to Sean's husband, but I believe it was a week or so ago that another contestant mentioned his husband, and to my surprise no one here brought it up.

by Anonymousreply 108January 8, 2022 6:31 PM

Are LGBTs smarter, or do we just know more trivia?

by Anonymousreply 109January 8, 2022 6:34 PM

I do recall the husband mention a few days ago - older guy in a suit. I don't recall the bit about Shawn's husband by Ken?

by Anonymousreply 110January 8, 2022 7:18 PM

Sean’s jitteriness was bugging the hell out of me. I expected to hear someone say over a loudspeaker, “stop bouncing around!”

by Anonymousreply 111January 8, 2022 7:21 PM

They ought to screen out contestants who can't stand still. Or keep waving that buzzer around.

by Anonymousreply 112January 8, 2022 8:49 PM

Amy is just 10 games away from beating Matt Amodio's 38-game record! Would dearly, dearly love to see that happen!

Also FYI: Amy is on par with Matt's winnings. Matt crossed the $1 million mark after winning his 28th game, just like Amy did!

by Anonymousreply 113January 9, 2022 10:21 PM

Only Ken knew The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

by Anonymousreply 114January 9, 2022 11:02 PM

If her past competition is any indication R113, Amy will fly by Matt's 38 game record. In fact, I could see her challenging Ken's record the way things are going.

by Anonymousreply 115January 10, 2022 6:05 AM

So, so tired of Amy...

Got Final when the brainiacs couldn't - woo hoo! Grew up near Short Hills, and knew about whale flukes. Still, the fluke-flubbing challenger was my type.

by Anonymousreply 116January 11, 2022 12:03 AM

I was surprised no one got the Danish capital Copenhagen. I think fatigue is setting in for Amy.

by Anonymousreply 117January 11, 2022 3:11 AM

I thought the Copenhagen clue was poorly phrased; it referred to a "world capital," which Copenhagen -- while lovely -- is not.

by Anonymousreply 118January 11, 2022 3:47 AM

They seem to us “world capital” to mean any national capital.

by Anonymousreply 119January 11, 2022 4:53 AM

I got FJ and Springsteen and McCartney, but the Whales and Hugo Awards categories killed me.

by Anonymousreply 120January 11, 2022 4:54 AM

Copenhagen seemed like a trick question - too obvious. Forget to mention the cringe-worthy answer Napoleon as well.

by Anonymousreply 121January 11, 2022 6:45 AM

Sartre was a groaner too, but he must have totally blanked.

by Anonymousreply 122January 11, 2022 6:49 AM

Had no idea on Final, but absolutely knew Paul McCartney, Bruce Springsteen and Copenhagen (although the question was poorly worded).

by Anonymousreply 123January 11, 2022 6:53 AM

Final was tough.

by Anonymousreply 124January 11, 2022 7:26 AM

There is a special Van Gogh exhibit at my city's art museum that I visited last month, so I knew FJ instantly.

by Anonymousreply 125January 11, 2022 9:59 AM

Van Gogh came to me before getting to the end of the question because I had seen the movie Vincent & Theo just a few months ago and it was still fresh in my mind.

The Satre response made me say out loud, "Oh, just stop!"

Got McCartney and Springsteen as well, but was stumped on more than a few of the others.

by Anonymousreply 126January 11, 2022 10:57 AM

Tonight’s FJ was sooooooo easy, and none of them got it right. Second game in a row. Amy should bow out in shame.

by Anonymousreply 127January 11, 2022 10:55 PM

I had no idea of final, though Ethel Merman playing a character called Melissa was hilarious!

I did know about PT 109, Colorado (Frontier Airlines as Denver based), and Beverly Hills. Tonight's runaway was from weak contestants.

by Anonymousreply 128January 12, 2022 12:03 AM

Poor Brigid.

In the Falling category - or whatever it was called - she chose the easiest clue to begin with and came up with "premiere" for a response.

I guess in her head, the word premiere is a synonym for falling.

And then for the one that had Red Stripe Beer in the clue, she responded with, "What is Red Stripe?"

Apparently, she thought the category was Stupid Answers.

by Anonymousreply 129January 12, 2022 1:13 AM

The ONLY reason I knew FJ is because Annie is the only one of SJP's Broadway roles I'm familiar with (I believe she's been in quite a few things on Broadway).

by Anonymousreply 130January 12, 2022 2:34 AM

If any of those three had bothered to log into DL a few times FJ would have been a snap.

by Anonymousreply 131January 12, 2022 3:48 AM

I guessed Annie.

by Anonymousreply 132January 12, 2022 3:58 AM

I knew Anne Rice, PT 109, and Annie and was amazed that Amy didn't. Otherwise, what a dominant performance.

by Anonymousreply 133January 12, 2022 4:38 AM

I'm not into musicals/theater but I just guessed "Annie" because I knew of characters with that name

by Anonymousreply 134January 12, 2022 9:33 AM

I had no idea on Final. Couldn't think of any SJP Broadway roles.

by Anonymousreply 135January 12, 2022 9:57 AM

I was shocked that Amy missed FJ. So was she I guess, since she wagered 20k.

by Anonymousreply 136January 12, 2022 11:49 AM

Yeah, I look I said upthread, I think fatigue is starting to set in for Amy. I'm not a musical theater person either and I guessed Annie right away. It seems Amy's been missing a few "easy" ones lately.

by Anonymousreply 137January 12, 2022 3:07 PM

^^^ *like I said upthread*

by Anonymousreply 138January 12, 2022 3:08 PM

I read a post somewhere on FB from a woman saying she was one of the contestants facing Amy on the episode that is to air on Friday. She made sure to make no mention of the outcome of the game, but she was pretty exuberant about it. She could just be excited about appearing on the show, but the level of excitement made me wonder if she beat her. I made a comment about being nervous that Amy was going to lose and posted an “uh oh” gif. I think she took down the post because I can’t find it anymore. She may have taken it down because it revealed that Amy wins at least through Thursday.

Also, a while back, Amy said that she’d like to beat James’s number of games. I wondered why she picked him and not someone else. My first thought was that they tape so far in advance that she knew she’d won more games than James, but not more than Matt.

by Anonymousreply 139January 12, 2022 3:20 PM

I think James’s total is just the next benchmark. One step at a time for Amy.

by Anonymousreply 140January 12, 2022 3:42 PM

r130 It's against Jeopardy rules to reveal the outcome of the game prior to it airing So, that woman likely got in a lot of trouble because of that Facebook post. Very stupid of her to post anything about the game at all.

I don't know whether they penalize you financially for posting info about the game prior to it airing, but they likely do.

On a similar note, here at DataLounge, we don't like Jeopardy Spoilers. And what you just posted would be considered a Spoiler. Please remember that and keep such information to yourself.

by Anonymousreply 141January 12, 2022 3:43 PM

Sorry, my above post at r141 was meant for r139.

by Anonymousreply 142January 12, 2022 3:44 PM

Since Amy's winning streak has now continued into 2022, will she and Matt Amodio be able to face off in the Tournament of Champions?

by Anonymousreply 143January 12, 2022 3:45 PM

It’s by season, not calendar year.

by Anonymousreply 144January 12, 2022 3:50 PM

So if Amy continues to win through this whole season, what will Tournament of Champions be? Will Amy be playing against herself?

by Anonymousreply 145January 12, 2022 3:54 PM

Matt was this season.

by Anonymousreply 146January 12, 2022 4:01 PM

I imagine that - horror of horrors - if Amy's winning streak were to continue through the whole season, she would not be participating until next year's TOC.

by Anonymousreply 147January 12, 2022 4:03 PM

RIP - Brayden Smith

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148January 12, 2022 4:36 PM

Matt, Jonathan who dethroned him, cute Tyler, and Professor Sam will face Amy, so far.

by Anonymousreply 149January 12, 2022 5:38 PM

Go Amy!! Go Amy!! Go Amy!!!

by Anonymousreply 150January 12, 2022 9:27 PM

Third night in a row. Easy FJ question. Two out of three contestants got it wrong. What is going on this week??

by Anonymousreply 151January 12, 2022 9:36 PM

She didn’t reveal an outcome of the game, R141, and stated so in my post. This person only said that she’d be on Friday. I have no inside information, so I’m not capable of giving a spoiler. When I went back to find the post again, I couldn’t. I wondered if it was because she’d said she played against her, but for all I know, she may not even be a contestant.

by Anonymousreply 152January 12, 2022 9:37 PM

I like Amy and I like Ken, but, man, that love fest is getting annoying. It's like Ken can't bear for Amy to give a wrong answer. I sincerely doubt Ken would have said "ohhh so close!" if another contestant answered "dragon" for "snake."

by Anonymousreply 153January 12, 2022 11:45 PM

Final was easy. Like Matt, cracks in Amy's invincibility start small and continue. What I knew they didn't...

Give 'em hell (Harry)!

Krait = snake

Sanford and Son (keep forgetting Amy only [italic] looks[/italic] 50)

Edith Wharton

by Anonymousreply 154January 13, 2022 12:04 AM

Amy is so casually immoral. She has no sense of place. On the other hand, it’s so weird that she started the year being mugged and had her ID stolen. The longer I watch, the more I get the impression that Amy is a hoax spun out of control and that living and competing as a transvestite is this jokesters comeuppance.

by Anonymousreply 155January 13, 2022 12:48 AM

Could so many weak contestants be an aftermath of the pandemic? That is, not too many applicants and even fewer willing to fly out to LA.

by Anonymousreply 156January 13, 2022 1:03 AM

Absolutely, R156.

by Anonymousreply 157January 13, 2022 1:05 AM

[quote] Amy is so casually immoral.

R155, do you mean immoral or immortal? I don’t think she’s either one, but what do you mean?

by Anonymousreply 158January 13, 2022 1:21 AM

I wouldn't have guessed FJ in a million years. It's kind of nice that after a lousy game, Emma was the only one to get it.

by Anonymousreply 159January 13, 2022 3:57 AM

If you knew Douglass spelled him name with two s’s, you’d have a shot. I didn’t.

by Anonymousreply 160January 13, 2022 4:51 AM

I figured out that Douglass was the last name they were talking about since I've seen that spelling before.

However, the Douglass that came to my mind was Stephen Douglas. In fact, Frederick Douglass did not even enter my mind.

by Anonymousreply 161January 13, 2022 7:38 AM

Katie Douglass

by Anonymousreply 162January 13, 2022 7:45 AM

r139/r152 Revealing whether Amy is still in the game on Friday would be considered a spoiler. Doesn't matter whether you reveal who won Friday's game. Revealing who's still playing in the game is releasing info that shouldn't be revealed.

by Anonymousreply 163January 13, 2022 7:45 AM

Yes, well…

by Anonymousreply 164January 13, 2022 7:49 AM

I don't tune in to Jeopardy too often. Tonight Ken Jennings was looking awfully rough - as though he hadn't slept in a week. Do we think the pressure of doing this job nightly is taking a toll on him?

by Anonymousreply 165January 13, 2022 7:56 AM

Funny you should mention that R165, he seemed a little tired to me too. Maybe doing this and The Chase puts a lot on his plate.

by Anonymousreply 166January 13, 2022 12:48 PM

I just presumed everyone knew, "Give 'em hell, Harry."

I didn't get FJ until right after time was up.

When it did hit me, it was only because Douglass was the only person I could think of who would have a reason to change his name.

by Anonymousreply 167January 13, 2022 1:17 PM

I got a good laugh imagining someone telling Harry Truman to "Rock the Vote"

by Anonymousreply 168January 13, 2022 2:29 PM

I thought she said "rock the boat."

by Anonymousreply 169January 13, 2022 2:33 PM

By revealing the people who are playing in Friday's game, you're spoiling the outcome of Thursday's game.

by Anonymousreply 170January 13, 2022 3:34 PM

She said Rock the Boat

by Anonymousreply 171January 13, 2022 3:34 PM

[quote] We frown upon Jeopardy spoilers at DL

Though, I heartily endorse someone spilling the beans the day that Amy loses.

by Anonymousreply 172January 13, 2022 4:32 PM

^no. I want the drama to play out.

by Anonymousreply 173January 13, 2022 4:57 PM

[quote]Though, I heartily endorse someone spilling the beans the day that Amy loses.

NO! Someone did that the day James Holzhauer lost and the day Matt Amodio lost. Ruined the suspense of the game.

If you know such info, KEEP IT TO YOURSELF until after the game has aired.

by Anonymousreply 174January 13, 2022 5:01 PM

The game airs in some markets in the afternoon. Please hold spoilers until the evening when most of us see it.

by Anonymousreply 175January 13, 2022 5:17 PM

Looks like we're going to have two trans contestants in today's show. Also, FWIW, the Jeopardy website doesn't reveal who the returning champ is for Friday's show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176January 13, 2022 5:24 PM

Any is getting bored and tiresome. Time for some fresh blood. Or a makeover for Amy.

by Anonymousreply 177January 13, 2022 5:40 PM

Wouldn’t it be a hoot for Amy to appear in drag as a man?

by Anonymousreply 178January 13, 2022 5:50 PM

Getting tired of that coy look she gives to Ken when she thinks she got FJ correct. She slants her head and looks up all dewy-eyed.

😘

by Anonymousreply 179January 13, 2022 5:52 PM

Wow! America is going to freak out with two trans contestants on at the same time! Heads will explode over Amy and Clark both being in the game tonight.

by Anonymousreply 180January 13, 2022 5:58 PM

I’m going to go out on a limb and guess the FTM will finish in the negative.

by Anonymousreply 181January 13, 2022 6:00 PM

I think we’ve had two trans contestants before. Just not announced.

by Anonymousreply 182January 13, 2022 6:16 PM

[quote]I’m going to go out on a limb and guess the FTM will finish in the negative.

Is Clark FTM? The big earrings, long hair and lipstick suggest Clark is MTF.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183January 13, 2022 6:22 PM

[quote]Also, FWIW, the Jeopardy website doesn't reveal who the returning champ is for Friday's show.

The website never reveals any winner in advance. So for example, next week if you were to check Tuesday's contestant lineup, the champ from Monday's game wouldn't be listed until Tuesday so as to keep everyone in suspense.

by Anonymousreply 184January 13, 2022 6:39 PM

Perhaps Clark is what they call "genderfluid"?

by Anonymousreply 185January 13, 2022 6:51 PM

Good lord R183….I think they’re ALL trans.

by Anonymousreply 186January 13, 2022 7:20 PM

If Amy wins on tonight (Thursday), she ties James Holzhauer's 32-game record.

If Amy wins on Friday, she will have 33 consecutive wins and will surpass James H's record.

To tie Matt Amodio's 38 game record, she's got to keep winning through next Friday, Jan. 21.

by Anonymousreply 187January 13, 2022 8:04 PM

Apparently, Clark is a cis-woman, while Corey = ???

Final was obvious, though the only answer I knew that they didn't was the Buddha.

Again, Amy seems to show resentment to me when the others don't let her build an early lead.

by Anonymousreply 188January 14, 2022 12:02 AM

Final was fairly obvious to me as well given that Victor Hugo was French.

The Clark having a baby in law school story threw me off. Clark must be the name her parents gave her, much like Glenn Close or Michael Learned.

by Anonymousreply 189January 14, 2022 5:16 AM

Clark clearly told the baby story to let people know she is a biological female, despite outward appearances suggesting otherwise. She must be used to people assuming she is trans.

Anyone else sense some tension, or possibly resentment, coming from Amy after Clark told that baby story?

by Anonymousreply 190January 14, 2022 4:10 PM

Five for five this week in which felt like easy FJs. The contestants though as a whole only went 3 out of 15. Emperor Amy has no clothes. It’s becoming painfully obvious that her winning streak is in great part due to some very, very bad competition.

by Anonymousreply 191January 14, 2022 9:38 PM

FJ could not have been more obvious.

Amy's "California" response was laughable.

by Anonymousreply 192January 14, 2022 10:37 PM

R192, I think they were thrown by the date 1949, when that date didn’t imply statehood at the time. I’m shocked that none of them even guessed the right answer. Wyoming though?? A cemetery of 60,000 dead people in a state of 12 people and 50,000 buffalo?

by Anonymousreply 193January 14, 2022 11:51 PM

Agreed, R191, the challengers should be doing a lot better. Granted, Amy knows a lot, but she's not in James or Ken's league; Matt knows more than she does, but benefited from the pandemic scarcity pool also.

Knew Final before he stopped reading the question, very surprised Amy could figure it out at all. Luis wasn't all that bright, but quite cute. Ones I knew they missed: muesli (granola doesn't sound very German, and more modern), campanology (a correct guess rather than knew word), Chase Manhattan, and one other I can't read my own writing.

by Anonymousreply 194January 15, 2022 12:08 AM

Of they'd ever visited Hawaii they'd know.

by Anonymousreply 195January 15, 2022 12:38 AM

Absolutely no reason to miss FJ.... Amy's worse FJ in her long run. CA? She lives in CA.

Given this gaffe I am ready for her to lose now. I kinda liked the 80 year old full time mom tonight. Seems like Ken cut her off early a couple times.

by Anonymousreply 196January 15, 2022 2:35 AM

Maybe she’s got the Covid.

by Anonymousreply 197January 15, 2022 5:23 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198January 15, 2022 6:49 AM

Yes, Final was so obvious. Any doubts I had were taken care of by the 1949 date.

Also knew Chase Manhattan and muesli.

Congrats to Amy for breaking James H's record!

by Anonymousreply 199January 15, 2022 8:03 AM

Ken reporting on James H's view of house money

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200January 15, 2022 8:08 AM

Ken reporting on the Monday Jitters curse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201January 15, 2022 8:10 AM

A collection of all Matt Amodio's final jeopardy answers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202January 15, 2022 8:17 AM

Going to give up Jeopardy, just can't bjear the lies that Amy is a female. He is so fugly and I wish he would jamb those fake pearls where the sun doesn't shine.

by Anonymousreply 203January 15, 2022 8:23 AM

I'm having an easier time with her as a woman than that she's only 37!

by Anonymousreply 204January 15, 2022 11:29 AM

Amy is 37???? I thought she was about 55.

by Anonymousreply 205January 15, 2022 11:40 AM

No, Amy isn’t only 37. I found her high-school yearbook online discussing her perfect SAT. It’s from 1997, so she’s approximately 43.

by Anonymousreply 206January 15, 2022 12:40 PM

R206, How is he/she listed in the yearbook?

by Anonymousreply 207January 15, 2022 1:18 PM

R207, as a male with what I assume is her birth name.

Search on Google “Schneider perfect SAT Chaminade Julienne.”

It looks like Amy’s been doing the head tilt plus smile combo for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 208January 15, 2022 2:20 PM

OK, but she looks far more like 53!

by Anonymousreply 209January 15, 2022 3:13 PM

Really surprised Amy didn't know about the Sierra Nevada, as well as pronouncing Muir as "mweer".

Had no idea what they were getting at for final, although it seems I'm the only one. Did know about Lestrade and A Scandal in Bohemia.

The basketball camp story I found exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 210January 18, 2022 12:03 AM

Double Jeopardy was exponentially easier than Single Jeopardy. And FJ was wayyyyyy too easy. After last week’s performance in FJ, they decided to really dumb it down.

by Anonymousreply 211January 18, 2022 12:12 AM

Final was so obvious, I thought there had to be some kind of twist. T Rex was just too easy.

And yes, after last week's harder Finals, this seemed deliberately dumbed it down.

Amy's now chasing down Matt Amodio's record of 38 wins. If Amy wins on Friday, she'll have her 38th win.

by Anonymousreply 212January 18, 2022 3:55 PM

Jeopardy ratings on the rise thanks to Amy's winning streak.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213January 18, 2022 7:30 PM

Amy would consider hosting Jeopardy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214January 18, 2022 7:33 PM

Amy lives tweets each day's Jeopardy episode. Makes lots of comments similar to the ones we make here. Also offers some behind the scenes insights to how the show runs.

Amy's twitter account is linked below

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215January 18, 2022 7:56 PM

Dan's "Gomer" response nearly induced a Danny Thomas spit take.

by Anonymousreply 216January 18, 2022 9:19 PM

Guessed final quickly. Tonight was a sliding scale of Amy's knowledge and their lack of any. Knew NJ gov Phil Murphy.

Challenger guy was cute. Host and champ must be true soulmates if they love Moby Dick, although his tone struck me as sarcastic.

by Anonymousreply 217January 19, 2022 12:05 AM

Initially I guessed Voltaire for FJ as well, but then I couldn't remember if Candide was drama or fiction.

And then I remembered there was a Candide question a week or so ago and figured the response had to be something else.

So then I wildly guessed Racine.

Being from NJ, I thought the answers were way too easy.

FYI, Murphy officially began his second term today - the state's first Democratic governor to get a second term since 1977.

So Amy also loves Moby-Dick (one of my favorite novels).

I presumed cute Dan was gay: 33, single (no wedding ring) and a theater lover, with acting being one of his hobbies.

by Anonymousreply 218January 19, 2022 12:46 AM

From NJ also, R218. I can remember Brendan Byrne!

by Anonymousreply 219January 19, 2022 12:56 AM

Amy missing Moliere.... showing there are gaps in her knowledge. She can be beat. I'm ready to see it.

by Anonymousreply 220January 19, 2022 2:31 AM

Nice FJ question for Dan the theater guy, but not much else worked out for him. Racine was a good guess too. Cars and sports are probably my worst categories, but, clearly, not Amy's...

by Anonymousreply 221January 19, 2022 4:08 AM

The guy in the middle was muy guapo. I'm surprised the thread is blowing up about him.

We might as well crown Amy now as the second most- consecutive winning player in J! history. She just has to win this week's games to blow through Matt's record and that seems very likely to happen.

by Anonymousreply 222January 19, 2022 4:50 AM

She always makes these huge wagers on final jeopardy, and gets it wrong so much of the time. Really stupid.

by Anonymousreply 223January 19, 2022 4:53 AM

Yes, Moliere was obvious for Final.

Dan is the middle was sort of cute but slow on the buzzer.

by Anonymousreply 224January 19, 2022 7:12 AM

Amy has gotten 5 of the last 7 FJs wrong. Better competition please!

by Anonymousreply 225January 19, 2022 2:06 PM

That’s because Ken made a point of mentioning that she had missed only one FJ. She fell apart after that.

by Anonymousreply 226January 19, 2022 6:06 PM

Ken's daily fawning over Amy is as boring as Amy winning game after game.

by Anonymousreply 227January 19, 2022 6:15 PM

As much as I'm bored with Amy, I want to see her beat smug ass "what is" Matt Amodeo's winning streak. After that she can go...

by Anonymousreply 228January 19, 2022 6:59 PM

Yes, Amy's so close to beating Matt's record. Let her beat him! Please.

by Anonymousreply 229January 19, 2022 7:15 PM

Wasn’t Matt Amadio’s (who seemed on the spectrum) thing “What’s” for every answer?

by Anonymousreply 230January 19, 2022 7:18 PM

yes. What's . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

. .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

.. . .. . . . . . . . . . . . .

. . .. . . .. . . . . . .. . . . . .. .

What is

by Anonymousreply 231January 19, 2022 7:27 PM

What is Marie Curie?

What is Beethoven?

What is Christopher Lee?

What is John Glenn?

What is Locke and Rousseau?

by Anonymousreply 232January 19, 2022 8:54 PM

Another final loss for Amy, though I didn't know it either (films not my thing). What I did know tonight: Chichen Itza and Prince Edward Island. Wracking my brains who Dimitri reminded me of!

by Anonymousreply 233January 20, 2022 12:01 AM

I knew FJ!

That’s a fun movie.

by Anonymousreply 234January 20, 2022 12:32 AM

I remembered Olmec, but forgot "Legally Blonde". I think Ken's "Big Bang" reference to Mayim was edited in later.

by Anonymousreply 235January 20, 2022 4:04 AM

I'm not familiar with the Paper Chase, but I knew Legally Blonde was the answer based on the Clueless reference and the year 2001.

Like everyone else, I'm ready for Amy to pack her bags AFTER she beats Amodio's record.

by Anonymousreply 236January 20, 2022 4:13 AM

Ken jinxed Amy. She's been missing a lot of Finals ever since Ken talked about how well she does with her Finals.

As for Final, I guessed Mean Girls, but I was pretty sure it came out in 2003 or 2004, not 2001.

by Anonymousreply 237January 20, 2022 4:56 AM

I got Olmec mixed up with Toltec.

by Anonymousreply 238January 20, 2022 12:36 PM

I guessed My Cousin Vinnie. :(

by Anonymousreply 239January 20, 2022 1:02 PM

8 of the last 9 FJs correct! And 12 of the 14 in January. Amy is only 3 for the last 9.

Aw Brittany…poor thing….dumb as a box of used condoms.

by Anonymousreply 240January 20, 2022 10:04 PM

R240, you posted a spoiler.

by Anonymousreply 241January 20, 2022 11:52 PM

Give me a break R241. I didn’t say who won or what the answer to FJ was.

p.s. don’t read this thread until you’ve watched the show. It’s just as rude for you to expect everyone else to wait for you. That, my dear, is narcissism.

by Anonymousreply 242January 20, 2022 11:57 PM

6PM eastern counts as a spoiler.

I was paying specific attention to the ones Amy buzzed in and got correct. I'm no genius, but would have gotten a 3/4 of those myself.

Knew final immediately, as well as Calcutta and President Harding. Sanford & Son???

by Anonymousreply 243January 21, 2022 12:03 AM

Damn, that was a totally dominant performance tonight .

by Anonymousreply 244January 21, 2022 2:35 AM

I'm still amazed there have been so many record-breaking players in one season. James Holzhauer basically broke Jeopardy and all these other super champs are following his playbook.

by Anonymousreply 245January 21, 2022 2:43 AM

Zzzzzzzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 246January 21, 2022 2:43 AM

Amy is not following James’ playbook.

by Anonymousreply 247January 21, 2022 2:59 AM

Amy is definitely not following James H's playbook. Mat Amodio did, but Amy is not.

Brittany spent most of the contest in the red. Every time she climbed out, she missed another one and went back in red. I don't think she ever had more than $400 on the plus side. And Sandford and Son? Yikes.

I figured Final was Wilderness. Obviously I was wrong.

If Amy wins tonight, she ties Matt Amodio's 38 game record. Go Amy!

by Anonymousreply 248January 21, 2022 3:52 PM

She's scheduled for an interview on GMA Monday morning. Would they really schedule that if she loses on Friday?

by Anonymousreply 249January 21, 2022 9:49 PM

Another pretty easy FJ. That’s 13/15 for me this month.

Amy is 8/15

Other contestants are 10/30, with one of those being a no-play final for a negative contestant.

If you want any shot at becoming a Jeopardy champion, you realistically need to be able to answer at least half of all FJs. This contestant pool, proven by the numbers above, is beyond mediocre.

p.s. I can’t always answer 87% of FJs, but this stretch has seemed incredibly easy.

by Anonymousreply 250January 21, 2022 10:02 PM

Yes, I think they would, R249. I also think they'd schedule it if she won.

by Anonymousreply 251January 21, 2022 10:07 PM

Mt Ararat was pretty easy. I remember that name from years ago.

by Anonymousreply 252January 22, 2022 1:30 AM

Did not the Ararat question come up before in Jeopardy?

I do hate seeing the "losers" humiliated at the end by this streak.... they screw up FJ, and just look so defeated. I'll welcome seeing FJ actually mean something again.

by Anonymousreply 253January 22, 2022 2:48 AM

I’m so glad that I stopped watching this show last month. I look forward to perhaps watching again in the future.

Maybe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254January 22, 2022 2:55 AM

I watched this at an impressionable age.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255January 22, 2022 4:27 AM

Fuck Jeopardy, fuck Amy, and fuck DL!

by Anonymousreply 256January 22, 2022 4:30 AM

The dead baby sister she never met business struck me as flat-out morbid. I'm not a psychologist, but seems dysfunctional to me.

by Anonymousreply 257January 22, 2022 10:56 AM

R257, Katharine Hepburn admitted that after her older brother accidentally hanged himself, she assumed a more male identify thinking it might allow compensation to her parents' grief.

by Anonymousreply 258January 22, 2022 11:03 AM

^identity

by Anonymousreply 259January 22, 2022 11:04 AM

R255 / R256

by Anonymousreply 260January 22, 2022 11:57 AM

Congrats to Amy! Tied Matt Amodio. Bravo! Now beat Matt's record on Monday.

Had no idea on Final. Don't think I've ever heard of that mountain before.

by Anonymousreply 261January 22, 2022 6:21 PM

[quote]The dead baby sister she never met business struck me as flat-out morbid. I'm not a psychologist, but seems dysfunctional to me.

The dead baby sister story struck me as someone really running out of trivial things about her life to talk about for 20 seconds after 38 games.

If I were up there for 38 games, I'd likely be mentioning that my beloved 19-year-old cat died in May at this point.

by Anonymousreply 262January 22, 2022 6:26 PM

Another easy FJ. 14/16 in January. Two twelve year girls against Amy. Seems fair.

by Anonymousreply 263January 24, 2022 11:18 PM

THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES???

by Anonymousreply 264January 25, 2022 12:00 AM

And it's official. Amy has now surpassed Matt's record and has the second most consecutive wins in Jeopardy history. Even though Amy ran away with the game (yet again), I liked the two challengers tonight. They had some energy and spark and didn't fade into the background in the second round.

by Anonymousreply 265January 25, 2022 2:26 AM

I couldn't get FJ or many other questions, so knowing "Miami Vice" was a small compensation. Ken's better dressed than Alex ever was.

by Anonymousreply 266January 25, 2022 4:06 AM

YEAH Amy! Congratulations!

Take that Matt Amodio and your "what's" answers!

I liked both the contenders too, especially Joanne.

The Beverly Hillbillies? Hawaii 5-O? When Crocket and Tubbs are part of the clue??? Very strange.

Had no idea of the name of the Museum in Final but I did know the Colombian exhibit had happened in Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 267January 25, 2022 6:38 AM

Me too. I would have written “What is some museum in Chicago?”

by Anonymousreply 268January 25, 2022 6:43 AM

Just 34 more games to go to beat Ken's record!

by Anonymousreply 269January 25, 2022 2:37 PM

[quote]Just 34 more games to go

Oh, just shoot me now!

by Anonymousreply 270January 25, 2022 2:46 PM

[quote]Ken's better dressed than Alex ever was.

They really do have a top-notch stylist dressing Ken these days.

by Anonymousreply 271January 25, 2022 2:59 PM

[quote] Just 34 more games to go

[quote] [bold] Oh, just shoot me now! [/bold]

This x 1,000,000

by Anonymousreply 272January 25, 2022 3:07 PM

[quote]They really do have a top-notch stylist dressing Ken these days.

And yet that stylist is on vacation the weeks Mayim hosts.

But is it really a stylist? Or did Ken just go out and buy himself some new suits? He definitely had brand new suits last January when he started his first stint as guest host.

During that guest hosting experiment, all the guest hosts were clearly proving their own wardrobe. We frequently commented about some of the guest hosts' wardrobe choices. I remember commenting on a loose fitting white pants suit with bell bottoms what Katie Couric wore that might have looked cool in person, but looked atrocious on TV.

by Anonymousreply 273January 25, 2022 3:43 PM

If Ken is to be a permanent host for Jeopardy, they need to boot his snarky ass from The Chase.

by Anonymousreply 274January 25, 2022 3:49 PM

[quote]If Ken is to be a permanent host for Jeopardy, they need to boot his snarky ass from The Chase.

Agreed. And he also seems the least comfortable of the four trivia experts at being nasty to the contestants.

Mark Labbett ("The Beast") seems to relish in being nasty, seems to live for it. Meanwhile, James H and Brad Rutter seem to enjoy getting some barbs in at the contestants expense. But Ken seems completely uncomfortable doing it.

by Anonymousreply 275January 25, 2022 3:55 PM

Speaking of The Chase, they don't vet the contestants very well at all. They're mostly of limited intelligence and of no real competition to the experts. And can't they give the contestants some kind of compensation for being there? 5k at least?

by Anonymousreply 276January 25, 2022 3:58 PM

[quote]Speaking of The Chase, they don't vet the contestants very well at all. They're mostly of limited intelligence and of no real competition to the experts.

The first problem is that the contestants aren't prepared to be on TV. They get up there and suddenly get stage fright being in the spotlight -- they freeze up on answers they know due to the newness of being on TV.

As for challenging the four experts, no one's ever really be able to do that. The four are now in the business of being trivia experts. They study up on their time off. No amateur is going to be able have the breadth of trivia knowledge the experts have.

[quote]And can't they give the contestants some kind of compensation for being there? 5k at least?

Agreed. At least on Jeopardy, you get $1,000 for landing in last place, even if you stay in the red the whole game.

by Anonymousreply 277January 25, 2022 4:09 PM

The Chase spends all of their money on the experts. The whole premise is watching contestants get their asses kicked by smug jerks.

If I wanted to watch that, I’d petition for Matt Amodio to come back on Jeopardy. Hell, Amy’s got that smugness down too now.

by Anonymousreply 278January 25, 2022 5:01 PM

Amy is not smug.

by Anonymousreply 279January 25, 2022 5:13 PM

Amy is a little smug, R279. You’re just choosing to not see it. Compared to Matt though she’s a delight.

by Anonymousreply 280January 25, 2022 5:24 PM

Amy is way smug. I don't dislike her, but her smirk on FJ when she knows she has the answer is the dictionary definition of smug.

by Anonymousreply 281January 25, 2022 5:32 PM

I watched a couple of episodes of The Chase and find it to be a repulsive show.

The entire premise is for smug trivia experts to humiliate the contestants with both their insults and their expert knowledge . And the show doesn't even give them any money for being the object of ridicule.

Repulsive.

by Anonymousreply 282January 25, 2022 5:33 PM

I think she’s just communicating with Ken.

by Anonymousreply 283January 25, 2022 5:34 PM

Amy's final jeopardy success rate is pretty average. Just need someone to keep her within range going in to final jeopardy. Unfortunately for other contestants, she's brilliant during the first two parts of jeopardy.

This season's tournament of champions should be amazing.

by Anonymousreply 284January 25, 2022 5:58 PM

Amy's success rate at Final has been rather poor in the past few weeks. Ever since Ken commented on how often she gets Final right.

Prior to that, she was doing exceptionally well in Final.

by Anonymousreply 285January 25, 2022 6:01 PM

As I've mentioned before, my beef with Amy isn't so much that she smug, but the condescending attitude shift when it's clear challengers are getting off to a good start: "Okay, kids, you've had your fun, but nobody paints Amy into a corner!"

by Anonymousreply 286January 25, 2022 6:11 PM

They should bring back cute Sam to defend his Tournament of Champions title and provide some eye candy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287January 25, 2022 6:19 PM

I'm starting to want Matt to beat [italic]her[/italic] in the TOC!

Final was obvious. Knew Cochise, besmirch and Horse Whisperer.

by Anonymousreply 288January 26, 2022 12:01 AM

I don't think Matt will have a problem beating Amy, who needs to stop wearing those scoop neck tops.

by Anonymousreply 289January 26, 2022 2:26 AM

I also think Matt is the favorite to win the TOC.

by Anonymousreply 290January 26, 2022 3:19 AM

Lots of hard questions, and I misunderstood FJ and guessed coral. I did get besmirch. They need to start recruiting contestants at Mensa to offer Amy some real competition.

by Anonymousreply 291January 26, 2022 4:11 AM

Matt will wipe the floor with Amy.

by Anonymousreply 292January 26, 2022 6:08 AM

They'll set the Tournament up so Matt and Amy don't face off until the Finals. I'm not so sure Matt will wipe the floor with her, but we'll see.

I knew Horse Whisperer and besmirch.

Final was quite easy and obvious.

by Anonymousreply 293January 26, 2022 6:27 AM

R293, Matt's breadth of knowledge is far superior to Amy's.

by Anonymousreply 294January 26, 2022 5:35 PM

Thank God!

by Anonymousreply 295January 26, 2022 6:44 PM

Matt is exponentially more annoying than Amy.

by Anonymousreply 296January 26, 2022 7:23 PM

Matt was incredibly robotic. You can’t imagine him eating or fucking or shitting. He acts like he was created in a lab.

And James Holz is a creepy and annoying asshole who is way too impressed with himself. And that stupid thing where he mimed putting in all his chips - I really can’t.

Amy has a sense of humor about life and an inherent kindness that you can’t fake. I’ll take her any day of the week over those other two.

by Anonymousreply 297January 26, 2022 7:30 PM

R297, Well, now she's available.

by Anonymousreply 298January 26, 2022 7:41 PM

Thank you, Rhone.

by Anonymousreply 299January 26, 2022 7:44 PM

R298, what do you mean?

by Anonymousreply 300January 26, 2022 7:45 PM

🙀🙀

by Anonymousreply 301January 26, 2022 9:43 PM

R298 has posted a spoiler.

by Anonymousreply 302January 26, 2022 9:44 PM

I hope that R298’s post means what it sounds like! If so, Hallelujah!!!

by Anonymousreply 303January 26, 2022 10:00 PM

[quote] And James Holz is a creepy and annoying asshole who is way too impressed with himself. And that stupid thing where he mimed putting in all his chips - I really can’t.

He really is an asshole. He is so smug on Twitter, I had to stop following him.

I like Amy. She seems like a nice person. I agree Matt was robotic but he also seems nice.

by Anonymousreply 304January 26, 2022 10:04 PM

I like Amy but I'm sick of her. I hope she loses soon.

by Anonymousreply 305January 26, 2022 10:08 PM

Today's episode has a spoiler alert from Chicago Tribune on Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 306January 26, 2022 10:10 PM

Did some asshole really just spoil this?

by Anonymousreply 307January 26, 2022 10:11 PM

Eat shit, R298.

by Anonymousreply 308January 26, 2022 10:30 PM

No, she's not, R298. Here's Amy's current GF. The article itself is like a poor translation, but the pic is legit.

Also, DIAGF.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309January 26, 2022 11:09 PM

Even now knowing what R298 disclosed, I have no intention of watching tonight. I’ll pick back up tomorrow so as to minimize Ken’s waxing rhapsodic over the changing of the guard.

by Anonymousreply 310January 26, 2022 11:11 PM

When Amy began giving network interviews this week, I knew her reign was kaput.

Same thing happened with Matt Amodio. He began giving network interviews and a few nights later he was dethroned.

by Anonymousreply 311January 26, 2022 11:20 PM

I like Rhone, but see him as a one and done.

by Anonymousreply 312January 26, 2022 11:21 PM

I don’t know if I can handle seeing those glasses for KORE than a couple of days.

by Anonymousreply 313January 26, 2022 11:58 PM

I like those glasses.

I also knew Final Jeopardy.

by Anonymousreply 314January 27, 2022 12:00 AM

For dethroning Amy, he can wear those specs forever! I came up with final at the last minute after having given up.

Amy's gf seems really good looking, almost like she's into sugar mommas? Odd that Amy loves sports stuff as a bullied wimp boy youth.

by Anonymousreply 315January 27, 2022 12:02 AM

24 hours was all it took. From my fingertips to God's ears!

by Anonymousreply 316January 27, 2022 12:03 AM

Amy finished with 9/18 correct in FJ this month. It was only a matter of when she would be beat.

Little ole me is 16/18 this month. I’m going to start a GFM on DL for you guys to send me to the Alex Trebec Theater at Sony Studios. I could make a complete ass of myself.

by Anonymousreply 317January 27, 2022 12:14 AM

👋👋👋

by Anonymousreply 318January 27, 2022 12:21 AM

I didn’t think that was a hard FJ, but I guess the answer either pops into your head or it doesn’t.

by Anonymousreply 319January 27, 2022 12:22 AM

OMG!!

I was checking out his Facebook page and found a pic with him and Alok Vaid-Menon before he went by Alok. He refers to him as DarkMatter.

by Anonymousreply 320January 27, 2022 12:33 AM

Rhone was a hyperventilating narcissist. He didn't even look over at our Amy to acknowledge graciously her defeat and accomplishment.

Who raised him, who are his people???

He's got no more than three wins.

I missed FJ too, which was stupid, just look at 10 most populated in order geographically - China, India, Pakistan, Indonesia... oh, Bangladesh

by Anonymousreply 321January 27, 2022 2:45 AM

R298 thanks for the subtle spoiler. Got me to tape the show and see Amy lose.

by Anonymousreply 322January 27, 2022 2:59 AM

This is a really great exchange. I loved Rhone's reaction to winning. It made me smile.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323January 27, 2022 3:18 AM

As soon as I logged into DL and saw all the posts in the Jeopardy thread, I knew Amy was losing tonight. I didn't even have to enter the thread for a spoiler.

by Anonymousreply 324January 27, 2022 3:22 AM

R321 And if he had looked over at her you'd be posting here criticising him for lording over her with his win.

As games go, though, it was a very good one. Particularly because I was sure she'd get that final Jeopardy.

by Anonymousreply 325January 27, 2022 3:26 AM

Rhone had sperm spewing from his mouth everytime he opened it.

by Anonymousreply 326January 27, 2022 3:34 AM

Again, Ken goaded Rhone to wager everything on his daily double, setting up the final jeopardy possibility. I'm not a fan of that. I'm not saying Rhone may not have done that on his own, but who knows?

by Anonymousreply 327January 27, 2022 4:21 AM

Ken didn't goad. He just mentioned the obvious.

What other option was open to Rhone at that point. If he didn't bet big on DD he would certainly lose the game.

by Anonymousreply 328January 27, 2022 4:31 AM

I thought it was a bit of a goad.

by Anonymousreply 329January 27, 2022 4:44 AM

Amy has a great thread on Twitter, regarding her last night tonight. There are things not to like about anyone. But I think she's been a great champion. She said she's glad to lose to Rhone and encourages people to keep watching Jeopardy. I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up as some new host of the show. That's not great - but she's better than Smegma magic underpants Jennings. She's says there are a lot of "talks" going on right now. Who knows?

Read the thread. It's full of inside info and a lot of charm.

Jeopardamy is a pretty great handle. She's not gonna end up on that CHASE bullshit, that's for sure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330January 27, 2022 4:45 AM

Amy hasn't mastered Twitter yet - her less interrupted thoughts begin here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331January 27, 2022 4:53 AM

Goad! Most of the other contestants have seemed content with playing for second place and have wagered conservatively.

by Anonymousreply 332January 27, 2022 5:12 AM

Yes, and the question is, Why?

Can contestants easily see the other players' scores?

by Anonymousreply 333January 27, 2022 5:20 AM

Wow, you're dumb R333. Are you knew to the TV show? How would contestants know what to wager if they didn't know their opponents score?

I choose bachelor number.....2. No Whammies!!! I'd like to phone a friend Regis.

by Anonymousreply 334January 27, 2022 5:26 AM

The word was "easily." Have you been a contestant? Can you fill us in first-hand? Or are you just the usual blowhard? One with the English of a child.

by Anonymousreply 335January 27, 2022 5:55 AM

"You may have wondered how contestants are able to quickly calculate Daily Double and Final Jeopardy! wagers. From where they stand, there is a scoreboard in their direct line of sight just to the left of the gameboard itself. (The speed of mental math, however, is still entirely in their hands.)"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336January 27, 2022 5:59 AM

Amy's Tweet says viewers can now root for "another GREAT [capitalization mine] champion."

Let others do the complimenting, Amy.

by Anonymousreply 337January 27, 2022 6:06 AM

In Amy’s recaps, she said on a number of occasions how easy it is to lose track of the score because of how fast the game moves, focus, nerves, and that you have to turn to look at the board. I saw she squinted at it a lot and she said she did have trouble seeing it and should see an optometrist. So that’s why the host tells the contestant how much everyone has and may also make a remark about the amount to be wagered. They may not be able to do the math quickly under those circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 338January 27, 2022 6:35 AM

The NYT has an article about her today, but my free articles are up for the month. Anyone want to be a dear and copy and paste it?

by Anonymousreply 339January 27, 2022 6:37 AM

Amy Schneider had a strange feeling about that day.

It was Nov. 9, and in the first “Jeopardy!” game of the morning, she had surpassed Matt Amodio’s 38-game streak, putting her in second place for the most consecutive wins in the show’s history. She won the next game handily.

But she had reached her goal of beating Amodio, and her next major target — surpassing Ken Jennings’s 74-game record — was far away.

“The fatigue of this taping was really starting to add up,” she said in an interview on Wednesday. “I couldn’t explain it, even to myself, but I just could feel that something was slipping a little bit, however much I tried to fight it.”

Schneider’s gut feeling was correct (as it tends to be). After a dazzling 40-game streak, during which she became the first woman to surpass $1 million in regular-season winnings and then the runner-up to Jennings for most consecutive games won, Schneider ended her reign during Wednesday’s game. She was beaten by Rhone Talsma, who won during Final Jeopardy.

When Schneider met Talsma, a librarian from Chicago wearing neon yellow glasses, her strange feeling about that day intensified. Jennings, who competed in 2004 and now hosts the show on and off, had told her that the person who defeated him came off as friendly and thoroughly unintimidated by him.

“That was definitely true of Rhone,” Schneider said.

If Talsma seemed unintimidated, he said on Wednesday, it was because he had already accepted defeat.

The game was going well for Schneider, but Talsma had noticed that she tended to start with the lower value clues first, so he went for higher value ones first. Then, during Double Jeopardy, Talsma had landed on a Daily Double, giving him a boost.

“I kind of felt like a puppy biting at her ankles the whole time,” Talsma said.

by Anonymousreply 340January 27, 2022 6:45 AM

Schneider was accustomed to going into Final Jeopardy with her victory already secured. That was not the case this time. Talsma went in with $17,600, and Schneider was just $10,000 ahead of him.

The Final Jeopardy category: Countries of the World. Schneider felt confident about the category, and so did Talsma (geography is his “bread and butter,” he said, and he has childhood memories of studying an Atlas for fun).

The clue: The only nation in the world whose name in English ends in an “H,” it’s also one of the 10 most populous.

In the 30 seconds that the contestants are given to think and write down their responses, Schneider hopped from country to country on a map in her mind. India, no; Pakistan, no; Nepal, no.

“It just wasn’t coming to me,” Schneider said.

Rhone Talsma, who won Wednesday’s “Jeopardy!” game.Credit...via Jeopardy Productions, Inc. Talsma was traveling around a map in his own head, but it wasn’t until the last 10 seconds that he came upon his response: “What is Bangladesh?”

He was correct, but Schneider didn’t write down a response. When she realized that her life-altering streak was over, she felt a mix of emotions: disappointment, of course, but also some relief that she wouldn’t have to keep coming up with amusing anecdotes for the segment after the first commercial break.

“Playing ‘Jeopardy!’ has been the most fun I’ve ever had, and I didn’t want it to end,” she said. “I knew it would sometime, but it was tough to realize that the moment was finally there.”

An engineering manager who lives in Oakland, Calif., Schneider, 42, has known the outcome of her run for more than two months. During that time, she rode the wave of a newly minted game-show celebrity, watching as the world was introduced to her prodigious intellect and, gradually, people started recognizing her on the street.

She freely shared insights into her life (she has a girlfriend named Genevieve and a cat named Meep), stories about her childhood (in eighth grade she was voted most likely to compete on “Jeopardy!”) and shared her secret to success (a lifetime of curiosity). As a transgender woman, she was forced to deal with bigotry online, to which she responded cleverly, but she also got the opportunity to receive heaps of encouraging, affirming comments, including from transgender viewers who were thrilled by her success.

As her streak stretched on, her stats added up to something stunning. According to the show’s numbers for her 40 winning games, of the clues she answered, she was right 95 percent of the time and gave the correct responses for the Daily Double 87 percent of the time.

Because her streak had come so soon after that of Amodio, who lost in October, it prompted hypothesizing among fans of the show and members of the production team about why “Jeopardy!” was seeing an unusual number of streaks. The show’s executive producer, Michael Davies, shared several possible explanations, including the ever-expanding online archive of study materials and a new entrance exam that contestants could take anytime, instead of during particular windows.

by Anonymousreply 341January 27, 2022 6:45 AM

Her success also came when the long-running game show was in the middle of a rocky transition after the death of its beloved host, Alex Trebek, in 2020. After one failed appointment, the show has yet to name a permanent successor, switching off between Jennings and the sitcom star Mayim Bialik.

Schneider’s life as a star game show contestant could be grueling. She would fly in from Oakland at the beginning of each week and would tape a whole week of “Jeopardy!” — five episodes — each day. When she would return to her hotel, she said, she would just sit and do nothing for an hour or so to give her brain a break.

So when she failed to come up with Bangladesh, that was part of the relief she felt: She could finally get back to normal life, hanging out with her girlfriend and her cat. Now with $1.4 million in winnings.

by Anonymousreply 342January 27, 2022 6:46 AM

Thank you, R340-342! I appreciate it!

by Anonymousreply 343January 27, 2022 6:52 AM

love that the lgbt champ streak continues with a new winner

Amy made history but I was sick of her

by Anonymousreply 344January 27, 2022 8:39 AM

Was that the first time Amy totally blanked on TJ?

by Anonymousreply 345January 27, 2022 11:24 AM

I liked Amy as a champion and records are made to be broken, so why not her. I just find long running champions boring to watch.

by Anonymousreply 346January 27, 2022 11:57 AM

I'm surprised she has girlfriend and not a boyfriend. So she's a trans-lesbian?

by Anonymousreply 347January 27, 2022 12:10 PM

Or, you know, a guy.

by Anonymousreply 348January 27, 2022 12:17 PM

When I spoke with my mother on the phone last night, one of the first things out of her mouth was "Oh my God, I can't stand his eyeglasses!"

As I felt was clear when Matt started slipping a bit, before his loss, there comes a time when the long-running champ internally decides it's time to go, even though they may not be consciously aware of it. There's really no other explanation for Amy's having Pakistan and Nepal go through her mind after India, but blocking out the obvious Bangladesh like that. My mother, who's not great at geography, got it.

Would I like her as the host? I'd prefer Ken or Mayim, but they seem unable to commit fulltime, so if neither are possibilities, I suppose so...

by Anonymousreply 349January 27, 2022 12:34 PM

There are lots of trans lesbians, R347.

by Anonymousreply 350January 27, 2022 2:00 PM

R340, I've commented on this a few times throughout these threads, but I could see that fatigue was interfering with Amy's game at times. She seemed to always overcome it, but I guess it finally got the best of her.

by Anonymousreply 351January 27, 2022 3:01 PM

There's no studio audience now, is there? Is that canned laughter they're adding in?

by Anonymousreply 352January 27, 2022 3:30 PM

I stopped reading this thread yesterday after r298 posted his spoiler (BOO to spoilers, even subtle ones). But as the afternoon and evening progressed and I saw the number of new posts in the Jeopardy thread keep going up, I was fairly certain it was because she had lost.

I DVRed the episode, as always, but before I had time to watch it, two different sites I was web surfing had stories on her losing! So much for avoiding a spoiler. But I guess a 40-day champ finally losing is big news.

Was so impressed with Amy. Bravo to her for an incredible run!

Now, I hope Rhone doesn't turn out to be a flash in the pan. Would hate to see Amy's winning streak ended by someone who's just a one-game wonder. But as much as he was hyperventilating after the game, per r323's post game video, I imagine they'd have to delay taping the next game for a long time so he could calm down.

Rhone is one of the most flamboyant winners we've had on Jeopardy, at least that I can remember. But at least we're keeping LGBTQ representation going! But those glasses! Yikes. Maybe I'll get used it them

I had no idea on Final. Figured it was some Asian nation, but don't know my Asian geography that well. But I'm also old enough to remember when Bangladesh was known as East Pakistan.

by Anonymousreply 353January 27, 2022 4:01 PM

That extra footage showed both Rhone and Amy as gracious good sports. Thanks for posting it!

by Anonymousreply 354January 27, 2022 4:19 PM

When Amy Schneider’s 40-day “Jeopardy!” winning streak ended, she said she handed out thank you notes to the crew, briefly chatted with other contestants, then excused herself.

“I went in the bathroom, cried for about 30 or 40 seconds, pulled myself together and headed out,” Ms. Schneider said from her sunny apartment in Oakland on Friday.

The way she recounted her defeat mirrored the way she played on “Jeopardy!”: quickly, efficiently and with matter-of-fact warmth.

“It wasn’t just a feeling of sadness, there was a sense of relief,” she added. “It was so exhausting.”

Ms. Schneider’s continued success on the show meant that once her episodes started taping at the end of September, she was competing in five games a day, twice a week for several consecutive weeks, commuting from Oakland to Los Angeles.

By the time she filmed her last episode on Nov. 9, she had taken a demotion at work, used all her paid time off and taken several unpaid days in order to keep her job as a software engineer.

She left the show having won $1,382,800. But as of this week, her check hadn’t arrived yet and Ms. Schneider was still working full time.

“It started airing when I knew that I had done this kind of historic thing and nobody else knew anything about it,” she said.

Now, people know. Ms. Schneider surpassed Matt Amodio’s 38-day streak, leaving her behind only Ken Jennings, who won 74 consecutive games in 2004.

She was a virtuoso in terms of accuracy and speed, but unlike Mr. Amodio, her style of play was traditional. Ms. Schneider favored playing a single category vertically from the lowest to highest score rather than playing across the lucrative bottom row, a style popularized by James Holzhauer, who won $2,464,216 during his 32-game streak in 2019. Ms. Schneider didn’t bounce around the board looking for Daily Doubles in the style of previous contestants like Chuck Forrest and Arthur Chu. And her wagers tended to be conservative.

Her strategy paid off. Ms. Schneider left the show as the highest-winning woman in the show’s history. She’s already a legend among both “Jeopardy!” fans and former contestants.

“The depth and breadth of her knowledge are remarkable,” said Terry Wolfisch Cole, one of the 82 contestants who competed against Ms. Schneider during her run on the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355January 27, 2022 4:22 PM

Part 2 on NYT article:

On the day I met Ms. Schneider, she had already given three interviews. If she was tired of speaking to reporters, she didn’t let it show.

She greeted me wearing an oxblood dress with big white polka dots from Anthropologie that revealed a large tattoo on her left arm of the titular character from L. Frank Baum’s novel “The Ozma of Oz.” Ozma has special significance for Ms. Schneider. “When she was an infant, she was kidnapped and enchanted by an evil sorceress and raised as a boy,” she said.

“And then the enchantment was lifted and she was revealed to be the beautiful princess she was all along,” Ms. Schneider said.

In lieu of her signature pearls, she wore a necklace that depicted the Star, one of her favorite tarot cards. The necklace was a gift from her girlfriend, Genevieve Davis, 25, who is from Oakland and works as a nanny. The night they met, Ms. Schneider gave Ms. Davis a tarot reading. Ms. Schneider describes herself as an atheist who doesn’t believe in the occult or the supernatural but, as she said, “It’s not a queer meet cute if there’s not tarot.”

Ms. Schneider came to tarot via her ex-wife, who introduced her to Rachel Pollack’s book “78 Degrees of Wisdom.” Tarot would have been out of the question when she was growing up in Dayton, Ohio. Catholicism was very important to her family, and Ms. Schneider struggled with her faith when she was younger.

She recounted one moment in 2002 when she had driven with her brother and two cousins to Toronto to see Pope John Paul II for World Youth Day. Ms. Schneider agreed to the trip in part to avoid telling her mother that she no longer considered herself Catholic.

They waited in a field the night before to secure their spots but had neglected to bring tents or camping gear. As they tried to sleep, it started to rain. Then liturgical music started blaring over the sound system.

This time became a benchmark for Ms. Schneider. “Whenever it gets bad, I think, ‘I’m not lying in a field in the rain,’” she said.

Since her transition in 2017, Ms. Schneider said that she’s made a point to say yes to new experiences. “Because there was so much that I denied myself for so long, I’ll give anything a shot now.”

That included dabbling in stand-up comedy, piercing her nose and entering a new relationship, her first since she separated from her wife in 2016.

Now 42, Ms. Schneider is enamored of her new girlfriend. The two women openly gush about each other, share inside jokes and dote on their black longhaired cat, Meep, whose toys were scattered across their living room floor. (In case you needed further proof that Ms. Schneider is a cat person, she scrubs her dishes with cat-shaped sponges and cuts her vegetables on a cat-shaped cutting board.)

“I’ve had two serious relationships in my life, and this is the second,” Ms. Schneider said. “When I met the woman who became my wife, I had never even kissed anyone and I was 25.”

by Anonymousreply 356January 27, 2022 4:25 PM

Part 3 of NYT article

There is an unfortunate pattern of “Jeopardy!” alums — particularly women — being targeted online after their appearances. Former contestants have recounted incidents that included insults, creepy messages and outright threats.

To prepare for this, Ms. Schneider followed the guidance offered to all new contestants by the show’s producers, including locking down her social media accounts. She also created the public-facing @Jeopardamy Instagram and Twitter accounts. Still, these precautions didn’t prevent harassment online.

So far, she has mostly ignored the vitriol directed at her, or responded with sarcasm, as she did in a “thank you” tweet she posted on New Year’s Eve.

Several weeks ago, Ms. Schneider was robbed at gunpoint in the lobby of her apartment building. She was not physically harmed and stressed that she doesn’t think the incident was related to her appearance on “Jeopardy!” Still, it’s not her favorite thing to talk about.

“I tweeted about it, and so it was public, and that’s on me,” she said. “But to have people in my life find out about this thing that happened to me by seeing a news article was a slightly unsettling thing to happen.”

When she was preparing to compete, Ms. Schneider had to decide how she wanted to look. She brought along a favorite pink blazer and made a few trips to Target and Nordstrom Rack. She said she “overpacked” jewelry, but after she won a few games in the pearls she thought audiences might like it if she continued with a signature accessory.

She also considered how she wanted to sound.

“I’ve got a more feminine voice when I really want to, and I’d sort of been planning on using that voice on TV,” she said. But she ultimately decided that consciously altering her voice could affect her gameplay and chose to speak in her usual register. She’s proud of that decision.

“Trans women watching can see me with my voice as it is and see me being OK with it,” she said.

Her voice had once been a source of dysphoria for Ms. Schneider, but now she is considering turning it into a career. She recently signed with the talent agency CAA and said that she’s interested in voice acting.

She is also weighing a return to podcasting. She and her ex-wife used to co-host a “Downton Abbey” podcast, and she hosted a show about “Moby-Dick” and a tarot podcast called “These Are Just Cards.”

“Jeopardy!” forbids contestants to appear on other game shows for six months after they are on the show, but after that Ms. Schneider is also open to more game show appearances, which could be well suited to her preternatural response time.

She practiced for “Jeopardy!” using click pens and said she didn’t know she had a gift for buzzing in until she was on the show. This fact will no doubt frustrate many contestants, some of whom train with special buzzers, designed to mimic those used in the “Jeopardy!” studios, to shave milliseconds from their buzzes.

On Friday, Ms. Schneider went to the Heart and Dagger Saloon in Oakland to watch herself play. She settled onto a bar stool to order a sauvignon blanc and a pack of Parliament Lights.

Another customer asked a bartender if the TV would be tuned to the Warriors game. “No, we’re watching ‘Jeopardy!’” the bartender replied, nodding to Ms. Schneider. The man lit up when he recognized the champion sitting next to him. “Unbelievable! Cheers!” he said, toasting her. Moments later, a bearded man sitting next to him leaned over and asked, “You got robbed?”

Ms. Schneider smiled and nodded. “Yeah, I got robbed.”

Over the course of the show’s 30 minutes, two patrons sent free drinks, which were happily accepted by Ms. Schneider.

by Anonymousreply 357January 27, 2022 4:28 PM

Part 4 of NYT article

After watching herself win $25,000 in Final Jeopardy, Ms. Schneider went to the bar’s patio with Ms. Davis and their friend Hilary Hays.

Ms. Hays manages the @Jeopardamy Instagram account. “I was like, ‘Let’s get you on Instagram and get you some free stuff!’” Ms. Hays said, using an expletive.

The Instagram account features a collection of portraits courtesy of the show that are remarkably similar. Ms. Schneider is almost always framed identically, smiling in front of the show’s blue set, head tilted, pearls around her neck. Her clothing is conservative, and the captions are direct: “​​Day 32: I’ve worn this blouse a few times now and who doesn’t enjoy a good find from @target?”

“I would have no interest if anyone else did it, but apparently people like it,” Ms. Schneider said of the account, which has more than 25,000 followers. Ms. Hays said celebrities, including Kelly Osbourne, Molly Shannon, Sarah Michelle Gellar and Amy Schumer, have sent her DMs.

If the goal was to get free stuff, it seemed to be working. The following day, Ms. Schneider went to Nordstrom in San Francisco to shop for clothes with a stylist courtesy of the store. She was on the lookout for something to wear to April’s GLAAD Media Awards, at which she would be honored.

After settling on a haul that included a navy Alex Evenings gown, a blue and tan floral print dress by Maggy London, Marc Fisher pumps with a chunky heel and some jewelry, Ms. Schneider’s tab exceeded the $2,000 she had been given.

But when the cashier ran her credit card, her bank flagged the transaction as potentially fraudulent. The irony of having a credit card problem after having won more than a million dollars was not lost on Ms. Schneider, but there was little time to dwell on the matter.

She was already late for a free hair coloring appointment across town.

by Anonymousreply 358January 27, 2022 4:30 PM

Thank you, R355-358! I enjoyed the article!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 359January 27, 2022 4:54 PM

Again, Matt Amodio's breadth of knowledge is greater than Amy's and Amy realizes that.

His knowledge is extraordinary, Amy's is limited.

Amy just so happened to be pitted against some incredibly weak opponents, day after day.

by Anonymousreply 360January 27, 2022 5:13 PM

^ridiculous

by Anonymousreply 361January 27, 2022 5:14 PM

This NY Times article from a few weeks ago gives insights into recent winning streaks

‘Jeopardy!’ Keeps Seeing Winning Streaks. Champions Ponder Why.

When Amy Schneider became the fourth contestant in the history of “Jeopardy!” to surpass $1 million in winnings in regular-season play on Friday, she extended her winning streak to 28 games.

It was a remarkable milestone for Schneider, who last month became the woman with the most consecutive wins on the program.

Her victory came as long winning streaks have grown more common on “Jeopardy!” — there even seem to be streaks of streaks. Earlier this season Matt Amodio won 38 consecutive games, the second-longest run in the show’s history. The player who beat him, Jonathan Fisher, ended up winning 11 games in a row, a rare feat in itself.

Since “Jeopardy!” got rid of a rule in 2003 that had limited contestants to no more than five wins in a row, only a dozen contestants have managed to win 10 or more games in a row. Half of the dozen, or six streaks, have occurred in the past five years, while half of those six have been this season.

The winning streaks have provided some welcome excitement, and ratings boosts, for a show that has struggled to choose a permanent replacement for Alex Trebek, its beloved longtime host, who died in November 2020. But they have also raised new questions.

Is this trend simply a result of chance? Are contestants getting better at prepping — have they learned to game the game? Is this a case of improvement over time, much in the same way that top runners and swimmers are able to best the records set by their predecessors? Could the clues possibly be getting easier?

“Behind the scenes we’ve spent a lot of time discussing whether this is some kind of ‘new normal’ or whether we’ve just had an unusual windfall of brilliant ‘Jeopardy!’ players,” Michael Davies, the show’s executive producer, wrote in an email.

He discounted the notion that the clues could be getting easier.

“I actually think the show may be getting harder,” Davies wrote, noting that the subject matter covers an ever-wider range of material. “Let’s face it, so few people read the same books anymore or watch the same TV shows. And we have massively diversified the history, cultural and pop cultural material we expect our players to compete over.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 362January 27, 2022 5:20 PM

2nd part of NY Times article on winning streaks

Theories abound about the show’s recent run of big winners. In interviews and emails, several recent champions and people who write about “Jeopardy!” and study it obsessively offered their thoughts.

The writers and producers behind the show have talked about several possible explanations, Davies wrote, including that contestants now have access to a wealth of online resources (including a fan-generated website called J! Archive, which Schneider relied on to prepare, that includes clues dating back to the 1980s).

Andy Saunders, who runs the website ​​ The Jeopardy! Fan, has started to run the numbers and believes the trend may be significant beyond this particular moment. In a blog post on Friday, Saunders wrote that the average streak length started increasing in the season spanning 2010 and 2011, which he suggested could be the result of more intensive preparation on the part of contestants.

Some point to the influence of one star player: James Holzhauer, a professional sports bettor who won 32 games in 2019 and continues to hold the record for the most money won in a single game.

Holzhauer’s strategy — to start with the high-value clues, hunt for the Daily Doubles and make risky wagers — proved to be a winning one for him, and some contestants took note. Amodio, for example, said he copied Holzhauer’s approach of starting with the large money clues at the bottom of the board. But Schneider has done the opposite, taking a more traditional approach that she called a “reaction against James Holzhauer.”

Holzhauer’s take on the current trend? A product of chance.

“People always assume everything is a paradigm shift,” Holzhauer wrote in an email, “when it’s actually fairly normal for results to occasionally cluster.”

One theory holds that the pandemic may have played a role, causing delays that increased the lead time — and potentially the study time — contestants had after they had been invited to compete on the show.

“You had a whole bunch of people who knew they were going to be on the show and could spend a whole bunch of extra time preparing,” Saunders noted.

Amodio and Schneider were two of those people. Amodio, a Ph.D. student in computer science at Yale, was initially scheduled to compete in April 2020 but because of pandemic cancellations, started taping a year later than originally planned.

In that time, Amodio said in an interview, he focused on boning up on pop culture, a weak area of knowledge for him. He listened to pop music he had not heard before (discovering Dua Lipa in the process) and watched samples of a broad swath of current television (including “The Good Place,” which earned him the correct response to a $1000 clue in his 13th game).

Schneider was invited onto the show in fall 2020, but the taping was delayed and she didn’t compete until about a year later, giving her more time to practice with the clues from previous games and correct gaps in her knowledge (“like forgetting which Brontë sister was which,” she said).

But she said in an interview that she was skeptical that the extra study time was a significant factor. She views a well-prepared contestant as someone who has long been an intellectually curious person — not someone who crams before the test. “You just have to live a life where you’re learning stuff all the time,” she said.

Fisher, who beat Amodio, had little time to prepare: There was only about a week between his getting the call inviting him to appear on the show and his arrival at the studio.

by Anonymousreply 363January 27, 2022 5:22 PM

3rd part of NY Times article

Still another explanation being considered is the recent increase in applicants. Shortly before the pandemic hit, the show introduced a new entrance test that would-be contestants can take at any time, rather than limiting it to particular times. In a recent article for The Ringer exploring the trend in streaks, Claire McNear reported that before the new exam was introduced, “Jeopardy!” had about 70,000 applicants each year; with the new exam, it gets an average of about 125,000 a year.

The show has also replaced regional in-person follow-up rounds with virtual rounds, a change that Cory Anotado, a game-show journalist who will appear on the show as a contestant this week, views as an important factor.

“When you lower the barrier of entry, a lot of times you get better results,” he said.

The string of successes comes at a time of upheaval for “Jeopardy!” The search for someone to succeed Trebek devolved into controversy after McNear reported that the chosen successor, Mike Richards, had made offensive comments about women on his podcast several years earlier (Richards stepped down from the hosting role then left the show entirely). Ken Jennings — who holds the record for the longest streak since winning 74 games in 2004 — and the sitcom actress Mayim Bialik have shared hosting duties since, but the show has put off officially naming a permanent host for the regular season.

McNear, the author of a 2020 history of the show called “Answers in the Form of Questions,” wrote in the article that the elimination of the five-day cap in 2003 had been “an explicit ploy by then-executive producer Harry Friedman to drum up interest in the show,” and noted that the show’s ratings have been up this season compared to last season.

Asked if it was possible for the show to try to engineer streaks by, say, pitting champions against weaker opponents, Davies said, “I can assure you that that isn’t the case.”

He said that a diverse pool of contestants is selected for every taping and that an outside compliance agency randomly selects which games they will play in and in which order.

It is also hard to predict how well a contestant might do based on what’s on paper. One element that is critical to a “Jeopardy!” streak is not related to knowledge or information recall but skill at using the buzzer in the specific environment of the studio.

As a defending champion, Schneider said she quickly learned that she had a significant advantage over newcomers because she was already comfortable and quick with the device.

“Now that I’ve been on a streak of my own,” she said, “I’m almost surprised that it hasn’t happened more often.”

by Anonymousreply 364January 27, 2022 5:23 PM

I still maintain that from Matt through Amy it has something to do with covid weakening the available contestant pool, at least to some extent.

by Anonymousreply 365January 27, 2022 5:51 PM

Matt & Amy were both awesome at geography, but both finally lost on geography questions.

by Anonymousreply 366January 27, 2022 6:10 PM

Can't believe the NYT calls Amy "the most successful woman" to compete on the show.

Once again, actual women and their record accomplishments are dismissed by a deluded male and a misogynistic society.

by Anonymousreply 367January 27, 2022 9:42 PM

R350, Sure, that's their terminology. But Amy Schneider and the Captain's Lady are NOT sisters under the skin.

Or dress.

by Anonymousreply 368January 27, 2022 9:46 PM

I bow to any of you that gets today’s FJ correct. One of the toughest I’ve seen, aided by a somewhat misleading clue. I went down a path that wasn’t even close.

by Anonymousreply 369January 27, 2022 10:42 PM

I guessed "Kennedy" for FJ and didn't recognize the correct answer.

by Anonymousreply 370January 27, 2022 10:52 PM

The answer wasn’t really obscure R370, but the clue really led you to a famous wealthy businessman, which wasn’t the case at all.

by Anonymousreply 371January 27, 2022 11:07 PM

Got Final right away as well as these they missed: gondolas, French Lick. Pearl Buck, marital status (and one where I can't read my own scrawl).

Poor cute Rhone! We wanted to see more from him.

by Anonymousreply 372January 28, 2022 12:01 AM

Yeah R372, those three missed a lot of questions…some pretty easy ones. The clue has Venice in it, and nobody says gondola?? It was pretty ugly there for a while.

by Anonymousreply 373January 28, 2022 12:53 AM

Oh and I’m impressed you got FJ right R372.

by Anonymousreply 374January 28, 2022 12:55 AM

FJ was extremely difficult, and I agree that the clue was somewhat misleading.

But gondolas certainly wasn’t. Shocked that none of them could get that.

by Anonymousreply 375January 28, 2022 1:46 AM

I was surprised no one got gondola as well.

I was even more surprised Glasses Guy didn't know the Bette Midler answer.

by Anonymousreply 376January 28, 2022 1:50 AM

Yep, I thought that was one the hardest FJ's in a long time.

So Amy was beaten by a pretty mediocre player.... as it turns out.

by Anonymousreply 377January 28, 2022 3:12 AM

I guessed Gilbert Stuart for FJ only because I couldn't think of anyone else.

Rhone will now become a trivia question.

Amazed that no one knew Bette Midler.

by Anonymousreply 378January 28, 2022 3:47 AM

I had no idea for FJ. It seems Stuart did make a fortune back in America, but then lost it all and was buried in an unmarked grave because he'd died with so many debts.

by Anonymousreply 379January 28, 2022 4:32 AM

Same as r378.

by Anonymousreply 380January 28, 2022 5:28 AM

I went in the correct direction---making a likeness of Washington---but could then only think of money instead of painting.

by Anonymousreply 381January 28, 2022 5:43 AM

Frustrating game with all the missed clues that were so obvious. I knew Bette Midler, gondolas, Pearl S. Buck.

Had no earthly idea on Final. Couldn't even begin to guess.

Disappointing to know Amy was beaten by a one-game wonder. However, I suspect Rhone was still in shock from having beaten her and likely would have done better if they'd given him more time to let it sink in.

I wonder how much time they gave them between his winning the Wednesday game and the start of the taping of the Thursday game. Typically, its about 20 minutes between tapings.

by Anonymousreply 382January 28, 2022 8:10 AM

Only 20 minutes to change clothes?

Truly amazed Rhone missed Midler, since he chose the musical theater category.

Has anyone heard of "Rhone" as a first name? Maybe a nickname?

by Anonymousreply 383January 28, 2022 12:06 PM

I think all three contestants were thrown off by taping so soon after Amy's defeat. I suspect everyone in the studio was in shock that Amy lost and it affected all the contestants.

Everyone did poorly in the Jeopardy round. Look how many clues they missed and how low the scores were at the end of the round. Rhone did poorly and we know he's capable of better since we saw him play on Wednesday. Similarly, Carrie was missing a lot of simple questions. Ditto Chris.

I have no idea how long they waited after Amy's losing game before they taped the next game, but the shock of Amy losing likely was felt throughout the studio by the staff as well as the contestants.

by Anonymousreply 384January 28, 2022 3:42 PM

Don't overthink: not so much that Rhone was a whizkid, as that it was Amy's time to go. He was a decent player, but not outstanding.

[quote] Yep, I thought that was one the hardest FJ's in a long time.

Finals are what they are... there are times where you all assert how obvious one was, when I had no idea (not all homos are up on film and theater ones).

by Anonymousreply 385January 28, 2022 6:17 PM

R385, Then they're not card carrying homos.

by Anonymousreply 386January 28, 2022 7:13 PM

More bad play tonight, but fairly easy FJ.

by Anonymousreply 387January 28, 2022 11:16 PM

Kirsten had two whopper responses: one was thinking V-E Day happened before D-Day, and the other one was something about "building the Kingdom of Heaven."

I could kick myself for blanking out on "Coy" re the Andrew Marvell poem. The word just wasn't coming to me.

by Anonymousreply 388January 29, 2022 2:01 AM

Well, r388, had you but world enough and time....

by Anonymousreply 389January 29, 2022 2:12 AM

A new champion each day now . . . I like it.

by Anonymousreply 390January 29, 2022 4:29 AM

Honestly, I found the trio a boring enough group that I wasn't paying full attention. Have a note (actually legible!) that I knew mandarin collar, which they didn't.

V E before D-Day was, indeed, a candidate for a "most cringe-worthy" mashup.

by Anonymousreply 391January 29, 2022 1:34 PM

After FJ yesterday, I told my partner that I thought John Denver also wrote West Virginia’s state song. We looked it up on Wikipedia and sure enough West Virginia adopted Take Me Home, Country Roads as one of their official state songs. Surprisingly he’s not the only, and not the first songwriter to have written two official state songs.

Eldergays, who’s the other songwriter to do it???

by Anonymousreply 392January 29, 2022 5:53 PM

R392 (without looking) Stephen Foster?

by Anonymousreply 393January 29, 2022 5:56 PM

I looked. You are correct.

by Anonymousreply 394January 29, 2022 6:01 PM

Very weird game. Very bizarre game. Everything seemed off in this game. I suspect the shock of Amy losing was still hanging over the studio which affected the play. I mean, this episode would have been shot 60-90 minutes after Amy lost.

So many missed questions. I certainly knew John Denver for Final. And also knew Coy for the Daily Double.

Shaking my head at V-E Day coming two days before D-Day. Nervous contestants I guess.

by Anonymousreply 395January 29, 2022 7:58 PM

I find it hard to believe that there was "shock" throughout the studio when Amy lost. Bet it was just another day at the office for most. of them.

by Anonymousreply 396January 29, 2022 8:17 PM

What was it like when you were on the set, r396?

by Anonymousreply 397January 30, 2022 2:15 AM

I noticed this before, but they're still doing it.

Why do they introduce Ken Jennings as "hosting Jeopardy", but they introduce Mayim Bialik as "the host of Jeopardy"?

by Anonymousreply 398January 31, 2022 11:53 PM

FJ was so easy - I got it immediately. The year was a good hint but all you really needed was the quoted rejection letter.

by Anonymousreply 399February 1, 2022 12:05 AM

Good question R398, as I didn't notice.

Two questions occured to me when I caught sight of the champ tonight: is this a lesbian? is that a wig?

Sylvia Plath was born in 1932. I had to look it up, but was well aware she wasn't submitting anything in 1912. I got final right away.

Other things I knew: Clinton was Blythe, Frankfort is the capital of KY, magnetic north pole, and highwayman.

by Anonymousreply 400February 1, 2022 12:06 AM

Ugh, I normally don’t criticize the contestants but these three seemed particularly ignorant.

Sheesh. It was frustrating to watch.

Had no clue on final, either. Maybe I’d be a dumb contestant, too. 😛😛

by Anonymousreply 401February 1, 2022 12:30 AM

[quote] Why do they introduce Ken Jennings as "hosting Jeopardy", but they introduce Mayim Bialik as "the host of Jeopardy"?

I believe that is because in August 2021, Sony Pictures Entertainment announced that Mike Richards and Mayim Bialik would share hosting duties on Jeopardy! this year. Once they ditched Mike Richards, Mayim was the sole remaining host. Ken is just filling in until they announce who the permanent host or hosts are.

by Anonymousreply 402February 1, 2022 12:33 AM

There's something about the look of the champ Jay tonight that reminded me of Dan Aykroyd & Steve Martin's "two wild and crazy guys."

by Anonymousreply 403February 1, 2022 12:48 AM

R401, How did Riley even qualify to be there?

by Anonymousreply 404February 1, 2022 2:04 AM

The stupid answers category sure did result in some stupid answers…none of them correct.

by Anonymousreply 405February 1, 2022 2:09 AM

The champion looks like he wears a wig.

by Anonymousreply 406February 1, 2022 2:12 AM

R406, He looks like Patrick Duffy.

by Anonymousreply 407February 1, 2022 2:15 AM

I laughed out loud when the guy almost answered "Austen" for FJ.

by Anonymousreply 408February 1, 2022 2:45 AM

FJ was “cinchy” tonight. I can’t believe nobody “got it”.

by Anonymousreply 409February 1, 2022 2:55 AM

FJ was so easy, and I (w/graduate degrees in English Lit) didn't get it....I also guessed Virginia Wolf.

Champion is not smart...but had lived a life of privilege. You can tell sometimes folks who do well on Jeopardy not because they've a curious mind ... but have a good education, and exposure to art, culture, etc.

"Camembert"... sure. Palos Verdes... Claremont Colleges...

by Anonymousreply 410February 1, 2022 2:56 AM

I wonder if they'd have accepted my answer of brie instead?

by Anonymousreply 411February 1, 2022 3:10 AM

Not unless it was briet with a silent T R411.

by Anonymousreply 412February 1, 2022 3:14 AM

I got Stein and Skinner, but not much else.

I think Jay has a wig too.

by Anonymousreply 413February 1, 2022 3:17 AM

Yes, Mayim is the official host while Ken is technically just filling in. That's why he's introduced as "hosting Jeopardy."

Yes, Jay definitely seems to have a wig on.

I liked Matthew. Was sorry to see him. go.

The Stupid Questions were weirdly worded. Normally the answers are blatantly obvious, but this time they were more subtle. But the contestants were missing the point of the category as evidenced by their way off the mark answers.

Had no idea on Final. I wasn't an English lit major.

by Anonymousreply 414February 1, 2022 5:41 AM

In hindsight, remembering that Stein wrote "a rose is a rose is a rose", would've helped. Couldn't believe no one knew Frankfort, KY.

by Anonymousreply 415February 1, 2022 9:06 PM

Good game! This is the way that I hope games would go with three equally matched contestants, close scores, and the outcome not a forgone conclusion.

I thought that FJ seemed obvious.

by Anonymousreply 416February 2, 2022 12:01 AM

As most Persian-Americans are very secular, I could only come to the conclusion that Zoha was making a political statement with her hijab.

WOF sidetrack: cute sailor boy pinged to me.

Final was very easy I thought. I repeat that ones based on performing arts that many here know immediately go over my head. I did know about Midsomer (not Midsummer), as well as the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society.

by Anonymousreply 417February 2, 2022 12:04 AM

Scott, the new champ, is a visual & vocal ringer for Wallace Shawn, but he's not clueless...

by Anonymousreply 418February 2, 2022 3:14 AM

R410,,Tsk! This English teacher got GS, and I've never read her!

But doesn't the respective style conjure "There's no 'there,' there"?

by Anonymousreply 419February 2, 2022 3:21 AM

Great game tonight. Love it when its truly a competative game, like this was.

I really liked Zoha. Was rooting for her. This is the first time we've had a woman in a hijab on the show, at least as far as I recall. I'm sure the hijab upset some viewers in Middle America. Wonder which uspet those Middle America viewers more -- Zoha in a hijab or Amy being transgender.

I knew what they were talking about in Final, but blanked on the city's name.

by Anonymousreply 420February 2, 2022 6:14 AM

Emma had a great second round. I haven't watched "The Queen's Gambit", but could only think of one living chess player...

by Anonymousreply 421February 3, 2022 3:26 AM

Another good game. Was rooting for Emma. Really liked her. Glad she came back so well in the second round. Hope she sticks around for a few shows.

Had no idea on Final. I didn't even know the "Queen's Gambit" was about chess.

by Anonymousreply 422February 3, 2022 7:10 AM

I wasn't certain Queen's Gambit was about chess, rather than Outlander or Game of Thrones-related, but ended up guessing Bobby Fischer like the losing champ. So grateful no steamrolling runaway these days.

Did you all know about Morris Frank? He was from my hometown. My mom told me last night "Knew him? He was our insurance agent!" As kids, we all knew to stay away from trainers working with dogs.

by Anonymousreply 423February 3, 2022 11:43 AM

Wow - guessed final correctly! Zach was cute. Did not want to see another day of the female challenger!

by Anonymousreply 424February 3, 2022 11:59 PM

Another good game. I like Emma. She’s smart without being annoying. Zach was cute, but if he had won I suspect that he would have quickly become insufferable.

Knowing that Ike had died in 1969 made the FJ answer seemed obvious.

by Anonymousreply 425February 4, 2022 12:22 AM

I said Flak, which is wrong, but two others thought the same. 🤷🏻‍♀️

It was a good game.

by Anonymousreply 426February 4, 2022 12:55 AM

Was there a person named Flak?

by Anonymousreply 427February 4, 2022 1:23 AM

[quote] Was there a person named Flak?

No, there wasn’t.

by Anonymousreply 428February 4, 2022 3:38 AM

I've never heard of an Eisenhower jacket, and guessed Flak too. I did get Maltese and Voltaire. Nice to see all three contestants enjoying the game.

by Anonymousreply 429February 4, 2022 3:55 AM

I've never heard of an Eisenhower jacket before, so had no idea on Final.

Never heard of a Flak jacket either. Is it named for Roberta Flack? LOL.

Great game. I liked both Emma and Zach. Even liked Heather.

The contestants have been so strong in the past few days, it really makes me wonder if they were indeed pitting weaker contestants against Amy so she would keep winning. Why weren't any of these stronger contestants up against Amy?

by Anonymousreply 430February 4, 2022 7:28 AM

I knew FJ immediately, but I'm nearly 70 years old.

Heather was charming, liked her Ray Charles story.

by Anonymousreply 431February 4, 2022 8:58 AM

Zach was very cute.

by Anonymousreply 432February 4, 2022 9:20 AM

R432, And he registered zero on my gaydar.

by Anonymousreply 433February 4, 2022 9:40 AM

There was never a person named Flak, the term refers to anti-aircraft fire (combat). I don't think I have run across the expression Eisenhower jacket in decades , so it's something that managed to extract itself from my long-term memory when the question appeared.

by Anonymousreply 434February 4, 2022 11:04 AM

Exhibit A . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 435February 4, 2022 11:43 AM

I wanted Zach inside me, quite deeply.

by Anonymousreply 436February 4, 2022 1:18 PM

But did Ike have that jacket custom-made? Is that why it's named after him?

by Anonymousreply 437February 4, 2022 3:32 PM

Guessed Western Electric for final, having no background on the Disney attraction. Did know Rio, Rouen, and Bobby Riggs. Is Mayim the actual host, with Ken an occasional assist?

by Anonymousreply 438February 5, 2022 1:09 AM

My only thought for yesterday's FJ was Eisenhower and I laughed when I heard the "flak" answers. It's funny to me that anyone would think it was a famous American's name, and not ever have heard or seen the word used in terms of shrapnel from antiaircraft fire (which gave us the phrase "catching flak").

R437, yes, Eisenhower did come up with the design.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 439February 5, 2022 5:16 AM

Your pants have to ride pretty high for that to work.

by Anonymousreply 440February 5, 2022 5:25 AM

Surprised no one could identify Shirley MacLaine.

Sara is a very beautiful woman.

by Anonymousreply 441February 5, 2022 5:26 AM

Shirley MacLaine AND Big River too.

Jimmy from the Clue Crew was back for a cameo!

by Anonymousreply 442February 5, 2022 5:39 AM

Another good game. I like Emma.

Yes, I also knew Shirley MacLaine and Bobby Rigg. Had forgotten that Jimmy from the Clue Crew is also the stage manager.

I knew Otis for Final. I guess you had to understand that the Tower of Terror is a scary elevator ride to get to that answer.

by Anonymousreply 443February 5, 2022 7:48 AM

An acquaintance who attended a taping in 2019 told me that Jimmy lead the audience in mock sessions, drills between episodes that day.

by Anonymousreply 444February 5, 2022 9:29 AM

Big River is hardly the stuff of common knowledge.

by Anonymousreply 445February 5, 2022 12:40 PM

R445, I'll say. It opened on Broadway in 1985 and was hardly a blockbuster.

by Anonymousreply 446February 5, 2022 12:51 PM

"Based on Mark Twain's classic 1884 novel, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, it features music in the bluegrass and country styles in keeping with the setting of the novel. The 1985 Broadway production ran for more than 1,000 performances and it remained one of the few very successful American musicals in the mid-1980s among the emerging successes coming from Great Britain. Big River won 7 Tony Awards, including Best Musical."

Okay, but who saw it?

by Anonymousreply 447February 5, 2022 1:01 PM

[quote] Yes, I also knew. . . Bobby Rigg.

Not well enough.

by Anonymousreply 448February 5, 2022 3:41 PM

The Ike jacket looks like something a matador would wear. What is the point, unless you just want to show your ass off?

by Anonymousreply 449February 5, 2022 6:50 PM

Pat Nixon's 1969 Inaugural gown had an Eisenhower style brocade jacket.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 450February 5, 2022 8:06 PM

Our new champ seems a lil bit homosexual-ish to me (porn stache and all).

Got Final despite thinking "but pursuit doesn't end in an L?"

by Anonymousreply 451February 8, 2022 12:02 AM

R451 Perhaps an indelicate question.... does it seem a disproportionately high % of Jeopardy contestants are ... of the homosexualist persuasion?

by Anonymousreply 452February 8, 2022 2:53 AM

Are you insinuating R462 that new champ in the periwinkle jacket with Eldergay in training attitude is a homosexual??? Bitch, please!

by Anonymousreply 453February 8, 2022 3:48 AM

A homosexual stay at home Uncle/nursing student? Well, I never . . .

by Anonymousreply 454February 8, 2022 4:21 AM

More than one of the three trivia buffs should have known Trivial Pursuit.

by Anonymousreply 455February 8, 2022 5:40 AM

You think Laurence might be a homosexual? I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you, shocked!

This was a bad game, So many questions that nobody even guessed at. And so many more that they got wrong.

Was blanking initially but finally figured out Final.

by Anonymousreply 456February 8, 2022 6:49 AM

I'm embarrassed I blanked on FJ, given the clique of friends I had when I was younger used to play the game frequently in the '80s.

I'm surprised no one got Westworld, Tibet and air pocket, and someone should have attempted a guess at Eat a Bowl of Tea (which was also a film).

I figured the "stay at home Uncle/nursing student" was gay the moment I saw him standing there in the intro.

BTW, Lawrence is also an "improv comic."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 457February 8, 2022 2:33 PM

I did know Eat a Bowl of Tea, and Tibet, as well as a couple of others they whiffed. Perhaps we'll learn more about the life of a stay-at-home uncle?

by Anonymousreply 458February 8, 2022 5:43 PM

Why was the stay at home uncle's response not in the form of a question accepted with just a warning?

Alex would not have allowed that.

by Anonymousreply 459February 8, 2022 7:30 PM

What question are you referring to r459?

Did it come in the first or second round? They're much more lenient about it in the first round than the second round.

Also, they haven't been enforcing the rule much at all in the past year since they started the guest hosting. Host has enough to keep up with. Form of a question is the least of the host's worries.

by Anonymousreply 460February 8, 2022 8:11 PM

R460, It's today's show.

by Anonymousreply 461February 8, 2022 8:36 PM

Holy shit!There is a god as a contestant today 😳😳😳

Too bad he wasn’t such a good contestant.

by Anonymousreply 462February 9, 2022 12:22 AM

If he’s a God, why isn’t he playing in the College Tournament?

by Anonymousreply 463February 9, 2022 12:27 AM

Andres was adorable, but not sure how he qualified for Jeopardy.

by Anonymousreply 464February 9, 2022 12:42 AM

Final was obvious to me. Also managed Jean Lafitte (very first question), council of Trent, the Algonquin (a bit cringe-worthy) and Hindu vedas.

I knew the state capitals in second grade. Hawaii was another twenty years in the future for me.

Andres had serious gay voice.

by Anonymousreply 465February 9, 2022 1:40 AM

I guessed "Exodus" for FJ and am still in da Nile.

by Anonymousreply 466February 9, 2022 4:32 AM

The tall guy, Stephen, who won one of the college games tonight was cute, but couldn't stand still.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 467February 9, 2022 4:46 AM

Another game with so many wrong answers. I guess I got spoiled by Amy knowing so many answers.

Anyway, not knowing the Alconquin when hotel and round table were part of the clue?!?!

Final was so obviously Death on the Nile, provided you knew Aswan was in Egypt, which two of the contestants obviously did not.

by Anonymousreply 468February 9, 2022 7:26 AM

I’ve been to Aswan and I still didn’t get it. I was thinking classic literature—guessed Heart of Darkness even though I knew it was wrong.

by Anonymousreply 469February 9, 2022 7:30 AM

Is it just me or are the questions on the college version harder than those on regular Jeopardy?

by Anonymousreply 470February 9, 2022 12:43 PM

I think the college version is a little bit harder than regular Jeopardy as well.

I knew Death on the Nile because I knew Answan is a dam in Egypt, and therefore Egypt had to = Nile.

I was surprised they didn't get Algonquin, and also Trent.

I knew Lafitte only because I stayed at a Lafitte something or other when I was in New Orleans in the '90s and that name popped in my head.

Andrés, sweet as he was, was WAY out of his league on the show and certainly no match for Gay Uncle Stay-at-Home. (Last night I noticed Gucle frequently [italic]tsks[/italic] after he responds correctly.)

by Anonymousreply 471February 9, 2022 1:31 PM

Gunnel seems to have stepped off the set of The Gilded Age.

by Anonymousreply 472February 9, 2022 3:02 PM

Sorry, Guncle.

by Anonymousreply 473February 9, 2022 3:03 PM

Guncle seems to have stepped out of the pages of DataLounge. You know…hissing and vicious face slapping.

by Anonymousreply 474February 9, 2022 3:06 PM

Is the Algonqiuin Round Table really common knowledge to anyone under 50, unless they're literature fans or NYC history buffs?

by Anonymousreply 475February 9, 2022 3:40 PM

Apparently not.

by Anonymousreply 476February 9, 2022 3:41 PM

Krystle knew the Algonquin, but she was nervous and that caused her to blank on it.

Never under estimate the effect of being in that studio with the bright lights and cameras pointed at you. It's an entirely different world and can be very off putting.

I've told this story before, but in college, I played in a Jeopardy-like game one time with a group of friends. No cameras involved, just the contestants, a moderator and a small audience of a couple dozen people. I did very well during our rehearsal, but tanked once the game started. I knew virtually every answer, but the couple of times I buzzed in, I froze up. I opened my mouth and nothing came out! Arrrgggg! I didn't want to contribute any further to my team's defeat, so I just sat there silently until the game was over. We lost and my friends teased me about it for a while, but didn't hold it against me forever.

by Anonymousreply 477February 9, 2022 3:55 PM

I still cringe for Andres.

by Anonymousreply 478February 9, 2022 5:44 PM

R467, Who cares? He is sex on a stick, and since he's a junior, legal.

by Anonymousreply 479February 9, 2022 7:56 PM

It had to have been humiliating for Andres to get all of those questions about Latin America so wrong.

by Anonymousreply 480February 9, 2022 9:17 PM

Another good game. The lead see-sawed a few times and the contestants played well. Some of the questions that no one answered were a bit obscure.

by Anonymousreply 481February 9, 2022 11:59 PM

Are there many people who want to watch three games a day?

by Anonymousreply 482February 10, 2022 12:09 AM

Does anyone else get the feeling that Lawrence can get kinda nasty, in the sense that things aren't necessarily always lovey-dovey in the intimate moments? Nuff said...

This was the game as it should be played without all the runaway, steamrolling.

Regarding "trunks" I couldn't tell if they were referring to elephants or redwoods/sequoias, so nothing for me re: final. I did know about Bainbridge Island, Corfu, and Mrs. Basil E. Frankwiler though.

by Anonymousreply 483February 10, 2022 12:10 AM

Me too, R483, I thought sequoias right away. Alas, not a city.

by Anonymousreply 484February 10, 2022 12:57 AM

R483, my husband remarked that very same thing when they introduced Lawrence and he had this supercilious smirk on his face. He said he just seems like he could be nasty, and not in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 485February 10, 2022 2:17 AM

Seems he has a pretty tough mom if she's an experienced sailor.

by Anonymousreply 486February 10, 2022 2:27 AM

Oh you naive R486. Mother is his pet name for his pig bottom daddy.

by Anonymousreply 487February 10, 2022 2:37 AM

Yes, I thought that trunks could refer to giant sequoias.

I instantly knew the full title for the book “From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler” because in the fourth grade I was interviewed on a radio program about the book.

Stunned that in the second college show tonight the female contestant thought that the French Queen Marie Antoinette was the second wife of the English King Henry VIII — who died 200 years before she was born.

by Anonymousreply 488February 10, 2022 2:48 AM

I was on the wrong track with trunks too and guessed Big Sur, which isn't even a city. Impressed that two of them managed to figure out San Diego...

I think Lawrence may be a bit shy and nervous, but he continues to do pretty well.

The college crew were pretty lacklustre tonight, except for Emmey, but there were some hard categories.

by Anonymousreply 489February 10, 2022 4:33 AM

That was a gutsy DD wager that put Guncle Lawrence in the lead.

I found FJ ridiculously easy. I said "San Diego" aloud before Mayim finished reading the clue.

by Anonymousreply 490February 10, 2022 6:10 AM

Great game. Always love it when its competitive like that. Liked all three contestants.

Yes, Guncle Lawrence definitely gives off control freak vibes to the point that he likely could be witheringly nasty is he's crossed or isn't getting his way. Because of those vibes, I'm starting to like him less.

Final seemed incredibly obvious to me.

Not watching College Tournament, although it is recording on my DVR. Don't have time for three games in a night and don't especially have the interest for it either.

by Anonymousreply 491February 10, 2022 6:32 AM

I remembered it as Mrs. Basil E. Rottweiler.

by Anonymousreply 492February 10, 2022 4:19 PM

I can imagine Lawrence in the boudoir wearing a leather cap, chaps, matching leather vest, holding a riding crop, screaming, YOU WILL REFER TO ME AS MASTER!!!

by Anonymousreply 493February 10, 2022 4:22 PM

R493, Hopefully, with his beloved niece not home.

by Anonymousreply 494February 10, 2022 5:48 PM

I think he may be a stay-at-home great uncle, not uncle. Gurl looks like she got some miles on her...

by Anonymousreply 495February 10, 2022 6:12 PM

Another good, competitive game tonight.

Keep 'em coming.

by Anonymousreply 496February 10, 2022 10:21 PM

He's probably in his 40s and the kid is roughly 10 - hardly great-uncle territory.

by Anonymousreply 497February 10, 2022 10:21 PM

Is Nick another gay boy??? He was low key and kind of adorkable.

by Anonymousreply 498February 11, 2022 12:01 AM

Yay! Gay guy who works at Epic Software in Madison! I wonder in what restaurant Lawrence was a sommelier. With a wine list that expansive, Charlie Trotters? He's old enough.

by Anonymousreply 499February 11, 2022 12:06 AM

Knew final before she finished asking the question; also, jihad and Eddie Rickenbacker.

Obvious early on that Guncle Larry had checked out. New champ seems a bit "Eau de Cookie" to me?

by Anonymousreply 500February 11, 2022 12:26 AM

Guncle didn't seem gracious in his loss.

by Anonymousreply 501February 11, 2022 1:04 AM

Even though I initially found Larry attractive, there was something about his manner that began turning me off in the subsequent shows.

Tonight I began imagining him as a stubborn guy - the kind who's never wrong and who doesn't like being contradicted - not unlike someone I dated a few years ago.

BTW the new champ has a wife.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 502February 11, 2022 1:12 AM

Yay, Mother Teresa.

That dude looked totally dorky. But he surprised everyone.

by Anonymousreply 503February 11, 2022 1:15 AM

[quote] Even though I initially found Larry attractive, there was something about his manner that began turning me off in the subsequent shows. Tonight I began imagining him as a stubborn guy - the kind who's never wrong and who doesn't like being contradicted

Exactly right, R502. He had that demeanor about him and it grew more intense with each passing day. Tonight I was really hoping that one of the competitors would best him.

And, while I don’t know your ex, I’ve known plenty of gays who are supremely and smugly right about everything. Or, at least they think that they are.

by Anonymousreply 504February 11, 2022 1:51 AM

Lawrence is wound tight.

by Anonymousreply 505February 11, 2022 2:20 AM

He had very pretty eyes, though.

by Anonymousreply 506February 11, 2022 3:37 AM

Great game tonight!

I liked Nick but from his outward demeanor and appearance, he looked like he was "slow" as they say. He looked like he was far from the brightest one in the bunch. But obviously that was wrong. Looks can be deceiving.

Guncle Lawrence didn't know It's Raining Men, but Nick did?!?! How strange.

Yes, Guncle was giving out increasingly negative vibes with each subsequent game. Also glad he's gone because I was beginning to get the creeps from him.

Final seemed incredibly obvious.

by Anonymousreply 507February 11, 2022 6:40 AM

Nick has a nice voice.

by Anonymousreply 508February 11, 2022 6:55 AM

Was there an autistic contestant on the Jeopardy college episode last night?

by Anonymousreply 509February 11, 2022 3:03 PM

Seemed like it.

by Anonymousreply 510February 11, 2022 3:05 PM

The kid from Notre Dame was so cute. But so dumb. Was this the best that school could send?

by Anonymousreply 511February 11, 2022 4:52 PM

R511, I would be more than willing to offer Matt some extra special consolation after he failed to qualify for FJ.

by Anonymousreply 512February 11, 2022 7:25 PM

R505, Lawrence must be a tough home schooler for that niece.

by Anonymousreply 513February 11, 2022 7:29 PM

Do we have enough to call Child Protection?

by Anonymousreply 514February 11, 2022 7:31 PM

I wonder how many of us guys, when introducing ourselves as a “stay-at-home uncle,” would not expect to get crazy looks from most people.

by Anonymousreply 515February 11, 2022 7:48 PM

Better than "unemployed."

by Anonymousreply 516February 11, 2022 10:32 PM

Today seemed like an adult versus two children.

by Anonymousreply 517February 11, 2022 11:05 PM

Who said the mohawk was dead?

by Anonymousreply 518February 11, 2022 11:44 PM

If it weren't for Mohawk Man, I would've though I accidentally DVRed the college tournament game.

And poor Gillian.

In the "ST" on TV category, she responded with "Space Force."

In Ordinal Phrases, she replied "Windy City" - and then had to be humiliated by Mayim, who reminded her of the "ordinal" part of the category.

And for the FJ playwright, she came up with Twain - an author who bombed as a dramatist.

$0 was probably a higher final score than she deserved.

Other thoughts: I was surprised no one got Angela Davis.

If I'm not mistaken, tonight had the second John Quincy Adams question in a week.

And finally, I was on the right track for FJ - I had a feeling it was related to a gun - but I thought of Ibsen because of Hedda Gabler.

by Anonymousreply 519February 12, 2022 12:44 AM

Jesus, that man looked ridiculous with that Mohawk.

What a fool.

by Anonymousreply 520February 12, 2022 12:46 AM

Agree that the mohawk strikes me as ridiculous also. Otherwise, he's a great player.

My mom and I were shocked they didn't know about Boston's swan boats. I did know Angela Davis, as well as Strauss, Jr.

I guessed Twain also, based on the date.

by Anonymousreply 521February 12, 2022 1:25 AM

That mohawk looks ridiculous. It screams, “Look at MEEEEEEEEE.” 🙄

by Anonymousreply 522February 12, 2022 3:40 AM

Will Dave's mohawk be a different color on Monday?

by Anonymousreply 523February 12, 2022 5:12 AM

I wish we had more time with the twink. I liked his voice.

by Anonymousreply 524February 12, 2022 6:19 AM

I liked Dave a lot.

The mohawk is daring for someone his age, but he's far from the only 40something in LA wearing unusual hairstyles.

I knew Angela Davis, but hadn't the vaguest idea on Final.

by Anonymousreply 525February 12, 2022 6:22 AM

Looks like Jeopardy is going to hold a Second Chance Tournament according to EP Michael Davies. Here's what he said on the Jeopardy blog:

Speaking of new projects…The Jeopardy! National College Championship is up and running on ABC in primetime. This was a wonderful experience for everyone involved and a huge learning experience for me personally so early in my tenure at Jeopardy! We are committed to establishing this as an annual event and your feedback has been really valuable and positive. I did want to address a couple of specific things that have come up:

We are absolutely going to invite the eventual winner of the J!NCC to compete in the ToC.

As to the criticism of the tournament structure, and specifically the fact that one of our four semifinalists will not advance to the final, I get it. It's an imperfect solution that resulted from necessary changes to the original tournament format and the fixed number of hours we were committed to deliver. However, I am happy to announce that we will invite the fourth place finisher back for our postseason Second Chance Tournament that will precede, and feed, at least one player into the Tournament of Champions. ….

I may have just broken the Jeopardy!-verse.

I started thinking about a Second Chance Tournament almost the day I started on Jeopardy!, when Jessica Stephens beat Matt Amodio, but lost to Jonathan Fisher by just $401. I thought, “Wow, wouldn’t it be a cool idea to have a tournament where we bring excellent contestants like Jessica back?” Like most good ideas, it was quickly apparent that many, many other people – both inside and outside the show – had had exactly the same thought, long before me. But now we’re actually going to do it, and slot it in right before the ToC. More details to follow, including the criteria we will be using to select the rest of the participants. To be clear, though, the eligibility time frame will be the same as for this year’s ToC: We are looking at contestants who appeared on Jeopardy! since the last Tournament of Champions who we believe deserve a second shot. I know there will be many contestants from previous years who will be howling at this point, and I do not rule out a future opportunity to compete again for some of you. But for now this is part of the postseason for this season. We are all so excited at the prospect, and we look forward to seeing some wonderful contestants again on our stage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 526February 12, 2022 6:39 AM

Winning your semifinal doesn’t necessarily get you to the final? That ain’t right.

by Anonymousreply 527February 12, 2022 6:45 AM

Maybe Mike Richards will host the Second Chance tourney.

by Anonymousreply 528February 12, 2022 6:46 AM

Oh no

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 529February 12, 2022 6:52 AM

Ken Jennings is back!

by Anonymousreply 530February 14, 2022 6:54 PM

I like Mayim a lot, but I think I like Ken better. Mayim gets too perky sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 531February 14, 2022 8:43 PM

Honestly, how in the fuck are these morons getting on Jeopardy???

by Anonymousreply 532February 14, 2022 9:37 PM

Did you notice the other day when Miyam mispronounced "mischievous"? I was surprised...because, you know, genius and all.

by Anonymousreply 533February 14, 2022 9:40 PM

I guessed final right away. Minneapolis was cringe-worthy. Also knew oxbow that they missed.

Despite the stupid mohawk and tattoos, the champ is very likeable to me.

by Anonymousreply 534February 15, 2022 12:00 AM

The Mohawk won again 🤨

by Anonymousreply 535February 15, 2022 1:10 AM

I blanked on Duluth for FJ. On the other hand, I knew Robert & Clara Schumann.

I didn't realize The Go Between was considered a classic novel. Never read the book or saw the film adaptation.

Mohawk Man knows his stuff.

by Anonymousreply 536February 15, 2022 1:12 AM

Mohawk Man doesn’t know his ass from Duluth though.

Seriously…Green Bay is on Lake Michigan, along with Chicago.

And Minneapolis? Apparently these dolts didn’t take classes in Flyoverstan geography. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 537February 15, 2022 1:19 AM

Yes, Go-Between is considered a classic. At least two filmed versions so far. The Julie Christie/Alan Bates one is perfection.

by Anonymousreply 538February 15, 2022 2:44 AM

L.P. Hartley, who wrote "The Go-Between", wrote another novel with some thematic similarities, "The Hireling", which was made into a disturbing movie with Robert Shaw and Sarah Miles. I got Duluth and Benjamin, but missed Absalom and all those science questions.

by Anonymousreply 539February 15, 2022 5:56 AM

I like Dave a lot, despite the mohawk and tattoos.

I really had no idea on Final, initially thinking the clue was weirdly worded. In hindsight, it was clear what they were talking about.

by Anonymousreply 540February 15, 2022 6:13 AM

Mohawk is clearly standing with arms folded to keep from shaking, and I don't think it's nerves. The ink from all those tats has affected his nerve endings.

by Anonymousreply 541February 15, 2022 4:34 PM

Probably more like blood poisoning.

by Anonymousreply 542February 15, 2022 5:03 PM

[quote] Probably more like blood poisoning.

and/or hair dye poisoning.

by Anonymousreply 543February 15, 2022 5:12 PM

Missed final (guessing H L Mencken), but got a lot they didn't: Egypt, Massachusetts, Maze and Spandau prisons, exhume, The Jungle and Louis XVI.

Jimmy had gay voice to me. Champ's tattoos are truly awful, freakish along with that stance.

by Anonymousreply 544February 16, 2022 12:06 AM

Missed final (guessing H L Mencken), but got a lot they didn't: Egypt, Massachusetts, Maze and Spandau prisons, exhume, The Jungle and Louis XVI.

Jimmy had gay voice to me. Champ's tattoos are truly awful, freakish along with that stance.

by Anonymousreply 545February 16, 2022 12:06 AM

Can't believe no one got Duluth, but I live in Wisconsin. The hands in the armpits make me think of Mary Catherine Gallagher, which is not a good association.

by Anonymousreply 546February 16, 2022 1:00 AM

Was way off on FJ. Guessed E.B. White!

by Anonymousreply 547February 16, 2022 1:28 AM

I kind of liked Jimmy's gay voice.

I knew FJ both because of the newspaper reference and because I find Hemingway's writing style so maddening, it was the first thing that popped into my head.

by Anonymousreply 548February 16, 2022 2:20 AM

Poor Lara. First she loses that chess game to her precocious son, then she has to sit out FJ.

Ken looked very sharp.

by Anonymousreply 549February 16, 2022 2:56 AM

Jimmy knew the two song titles from Sunset Boulevard immediately . . . hmm.

by Anonymousreply 550February 16, 2022 3:02 AM

Good game.

I liked Jimmy a lot. Was really rooting for him in the first half, but then he started missing a lot of questions.

I had no idea on Final. I guessed George Orwell.

I like both Ken and Mayim as hosts, but have decided I like Ken better.

by Anonymousreply 551February 16, 2022 3:48 PM

Now if we could only get Bad Ken off The Chase and replace him with Amodio, all would be forgiven.

by Anonymousreply 552February 16, 2022 3:58 PM

I also prefer Ken. Mayim is a little stiff, and her outfits are painful.

by Anonymousreply 553February 16, 2022 4:01 PM

[quote] I like both Ken and Mayim as hosts, but have decided I like Ken better.

Same here!

by Anonymousreply 554February 16, 2022 4:04 PM

Mayim is still playing the kindergarten teacher. "It's the DAILY DOUBLE!!!"

by Anonymousreply 555February 16, 2022 5:38 PM

I like both Mayim and Ken, with Mayim slightly ahead of Ken.

by Anonymousreply 556February 16, 2022 9:12 PM

Today’s Emily goes down as one of the most narcissistic and tiresome cunts ever on the show. Honey, this isn’t the fucking Emily Show.

by Anonymousreply 557February 16, 2022 9:38 PM

Thank god Emily didn’t win. She was very annoying. I’m not sure I’ve ever heard that much monologuing during play.

For FJ, I somehow thought it was called the “Bloody Terror” which was my guess and was closer than any of the contestants.

by Anonymousreply 558February 17, 2022 12:27 AM

I knew about Nicely, Nicely and also about the feathers. Final... no.

No more Mohawk. Here's hoping there'll be another five day qualifier who can take on Matt and Amy!

by Anonymousreply 559February 17, 2022 12:42 AM

R557, I've never heard a Jeopardy! host warn a contestant that they were taking too long to select a DD wager.

by Anonymousreply 560February 17, 2022 2:17 AM

Charles is cute, even without a Mohawk.

I guessed the Great Terror (wrong century and country), but I think it could be argued that the French Revolution is a correct answer.

by Anonymousreply 561February 17, 2022 3:34 AM

Not when the event is designated to have lasted just one year.

by Anonymousreply 562February 17, 2022 3:40 AM

Sorry, I forgot that part of the question. Time for bed...

by Anonymousreply 563February 17, 2022 3:42 AM

What are you talking about, R562?

R563

by Anonymousreply 564February 17, 2022 11:26 AM

Great game. I liked all the contestants.

Sorry to see Dave go, but like Charles a lot.

I knew the Reign of Terror for Final mainly because I saw a TV documentary about Marie Antionette and French Revolution a few months ago. I'd say one of the show's writers saw the same documentary given the way the clue was phrased using almost identical language as the documentary.

by Anonymousreply 565February 17, 2022 3:39 PM

Charles definitely said the word “fuck” when he got the wrong answer and said “figure skating.”

by Anonymousreply 566February 17, 2022 4:27 PM

Good game tonight . . . Don't miss it.

by Anonymousreply 567February 17, 2022 9:01 PM

Uh R567…what made today’s game so unmissable?? It was not terribly exciting.

Are you Matt??

by Anonymousreply 568February 17, 2022 9:22 PM

Had no idea of Final, unaware Big Bird is only six? Did know that proof is in the eating, McClellan, and Pitcairn.

New champ is... interesting.

by Anonymousreply 569February 18, 2022 12:54 AM

I guessed Big Bird only because I couldn't come up with another answer. In fact given the category, I would have bet zero.

I suspected Matt was gay when he was introduced, and thought it even more so by the way he moved his hands when telling his story.

I also found him really attractive.

by Anonymousreply 570February 18, 2022 2:18 AM

I guessed Cookie Monster, and was impressed that someone got it right. . I got grammar school, and wondered why there's no A+

Nice contestants, good game

by Anonymousreply 571February 18, 2022 3:28 AM

Nice come from behind win by Matt, after his shaky performance in the first round.

by Anonymousreply 572February 18, 2022 4:53 AM

The lack of A+ dates from the charming era when an A was a rare mark of distinction, and not the expected grade.

by Anonymousreply 573February 18, 2022 4:53 AM

Good game tonight. I liked all three contestants.

Very impressed that Matt won, especially after he temporarily lost his mojo when he lost on the first Daily Double. He's not pinging my radar, but he is quite handsome.

I knew McClellen and proof is in eating the pudding.

For Final, I guessed Scooby Doo, which also debuted in 1969.

by Anonymousreply 574February 18, 2022 7:55 AM

I thought it was Elmo, who acts quite babyish, but must be six by now. Big Bird acts like he's in his 40's, kind of stuffy and superior.

by Anonymousreply 575February 18, 2022 10:39 PM

I think Carter is sexy as hell, but I don’t recall another contestant that nervous throughout the entire show.

by Anonymousreply 576February 18, 2022 11:16 PM

I get it that sometimes when you really don't know and you're desperate you just throw out an answer, but Margaret and Alice as the Two Gentlemen of Verona title characters really was a bit much. Still, it's better than the answer of Rumsfeld as bring AGAINST the war.

Had no idea of Final myself, but know little about Shakespeare. Did know many they missed: Mortar & Pestle as DD (a give away), Like Water for Chocolate, The Saint, gas station, John Alden, Death Warmed Over, button down shirts from polo, and crucible.

Close game and new champ knows his stuff, even if not chock full of personality.

by Anonymousreply 577February 19, 2022 12:05 AM

Episode today got cut off with ten minutes left by Biden speech. 🤬

by Anonymousreply 578February 19, 2022 12:29 AM

Carter is adorable. Surprised that he didn’t know mortar and pestle.

by Anonymousreply 579February 19, 2022 12:42 AM

Love Carter, who has a touch of early 90s John Cusack about him. But his hot wings anecdote wasn't so hot. Lots of hard questions tonight.

by Anonymousreply 580February 19, 2022 4:13 AM

They were specified as TITLE characters. When you blank, you blank.

by Anonymousreply 581February 19, 2022 5:34 AM

Carter is a stud.

by Anonymousreply 582February 19, 2022 5:34 AM

Some 411 on Carter Lockwood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 583February 19, 2022 6:06 AM

Good game. Sorry to see Matt go, but I do like Carter.

No idea on Final, but I don't know Shakespeare well at all.

by Anonymousreply 584February 19, 2022 10:18 AM

Must be sarcasm, R582? Carter strikes me as bland.

by Anonymousreply 585February 19, 2022 11:27 AM

Carter has classic good looks, like male movie stars had in the 1950s.

The fact that he's an attorney with an impressive educational background are definite plusses.

by Anonymousreply 586February 19, 2022 1:06 PM

What's not to like?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 587February 19, 2022 1:58 PM

Final took me a bit, but clicked in.

Ones I knew they didn't: Betty White, Michael Landon, Louisiana and associative law. Disclaimer that there's always lots of stuff I don't know, but that between three brainiacs they couldn't manage these.

Being ancient, new champ kinda reminds me of me.

by Anonymousreply 588February 22, 2022 12:03 AM

How did they not get “mosque” or “odd man out”? Really? Makes me miss Amy.

by Anonymousreply 589February 22, 2022 12:48 AM

This was an episode made for DL, with Betty White, Annie Wilkes, Mariah Carey, and Dangerous Liaisons, etc. I'll miss Carter.

by Anonymousreply 590February 22, 2022 3:01 AM

Uh oh

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 591February 22, 2022 5:10 AM

Good game. I liked all the contestants.

Final was rather easy. Glad everybody got it.

Stunned no one knew Betty White or Michael Landon or Louisiana or mosque or Mariah Carey.

by Anonymousreply 592February 22, 2022 7:08 AM

This thread is just about to end, so I started a new one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 593February 22, 2022 7:10 AM

I forgot about that fucking tie-breaker thing - just bring both of them back the next day!

by Anonymousreply 594February 24, 2022 12:00 AM

I'm catching up on the college tournament and Mayim Blech's cardigan is eye-raping me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 595February 25, 2022 1:41 AM

Jeopardy #28 is up and running.

by Anonymousreply 596February 25, 2022 4:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!