Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Omg this came up on my FB timeline and I feel so uncomfortable by how white this is!

Really!? They couldn’t cast one person of color?????? I’m so uncomfortable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83November 12, 2021 1:52 PM

Never got the appeal of Luke Perry but seeing this with fresh eyes as an adult, he does look cute there. Why is he laying in Steve’s crotch? And why is Brandon letting his grandma lay on his chest?

by Anonymousreply 1November 11, 2021 12:07 AM

Yes, they're positively blinding.

by Anonymousreply 2November 11, 2021 12:08 AM

R1 they’re laying how they were told most likely. His head is on Ian’s thigh. Not crotch lol.

He looks cute here. He was better in stills than in motion. In my opinion

by Anonymousreply 3November 11, 2021 12:09 AM

Luke also always gave that serious smolder look. He looked nice when he would smile. And that smile looks genuine.

by Anonymousreply 4November 11, 2021 12:10 AM

Maybe I need my eyes checked, Luke Perry's face looks so awkward in this picture that all I see is a cross between Matt Gaetz & Christopher Titus

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5November 11, 2021 12:11 AM

What are you talking about? I see four brunettes in a show about California. That's what passed for diversity in the early 90s.

by Anonymousreply 6November 11, 2021 12:14 AM

[quote] I feel so uncomfortable by how white this is

Because you are a racist. No surprise.

by Anonymousreply 7November 11, 2021 12:14 AM

R6 that’s so true too! Back then they would make sure to cast women with different hair colors as a form of diversity 🤣

“We can’t have three blondes! We need one brunette!”

by Anonymousreply 8November 11, 2021 12:16 AM

Does this cast from around the same time with no diversity also make you uncomfortable? If not, why not?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9November 11, 2021 12:18 AM

[quote] “We can’t have three blondes! We need one brunette!”

They cast an ugly one too. Isn’t that diverse enough?

by Anonymousreply 10November 11, 2021 12:18 AM

What's the problem ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 11, 2021 12:18 AM

It’s all white with a sprinkle of Asian r11

by Anonymousreply 12November 11, 2021 12:21 AM

Maybe this is more to your liking OP?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13November 11, 2021 12:21 AM

How about this one, OP?

OP and his almost complete brainwashing is the reason Democrats are going to lose to actual fucking racists.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14November 11, 2021 12:21 AM

Bitterman, party of one. Bitterman please check in at the DL courtesy desk.

by Anonymousreply 15November 11, 2021 12:24 AM

A lack of racial inclusivity from a full thirty years ago

MUST.

BE.

STOPPED.

NOW!!!

by Anonymousreply 16November 11, 2021 12:24 AM

Don’t be “uncomfortable” or embarrassed of our whiteness. We are WHITE! That has nothing to do with being racist. There are many all black productions that I like and enjoy, but I also enjoy all white ones. Don’t be swayed by the idiot “woke” crowd.

by Anonymousreply 17November 11, 2021 12:32 AM

R11, that pic has one black, one Indian, two Asian, and four LatinX girls so what’s your point?

by Anonymousreply 18November 11, 2021 12:35 AM

I'm gong to be the naysayer, but you actually should give 90210 some points for dealing with class/poverty issues with Carteris' character.

More than a lot of shows did.

by Anonymousreply 19November 11, 2021 12:40 AM

[quote] They couldn’t cast one person of color??????

It would be worse to cast one token. Then the question becomes why does this character ONLY have white friends? Is he so white-washed that he only hangs out with honkies? Does he have low self esteem and is self loathing of his culture? That wouldn’t make a good role model.

by Anonymousreply 20November 11, 2021 12:40 AM

[quote] I'm gong to be the naysayer, but you actually should give 90210 some points for dealing with class/poverty issues with Carteris' character.

Yeah, they dealt with class, poverty, and age issues.

by Anonymousreply 21November 11, 2021 12:41 AM

She wasn’t even poor. Please.

They had the episode with Vivica Fox and another episode where the black kids from another school coming to play at this schools dance. Drama ensues.

And they gave Gabrielle a Hispanic husband.

by Anonymousreply 22November 11, 2021 12:42 AM

We already have a thread about this OP…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23November 11, 2021 12:42 AM

R20 ummmm actual black people within those areas are a major minority and usually only surrounded by white people. Not by choice.

by Anonymousreply 24November 11, 2021 12:43 AM

There were no Ps of C in Beverly Hills 30 years ago. Unless you were staff.

by Anonymousreply 25November 11, 2021 12:50 AM

At least they weren't ageist!

by Anonymousreply 26November 11, 2021 12:53 AM

Didn't Brandon date of black girl, Hispanic chick, and an Asian girl played by Lucy Liu?

They all wanted Jason's big Canuck dick

by Anonymousreply 27November 11, 2021 1:02 AM

Brandon was so cute. Looking at the pic, Steve is the one who doesn’t belong. Ugly Ian is the odd man out. Tasked with casting the ultimate California blond surfer boy to represent Beverly Hills, this was the best they could come up with?!

by Anonymousreply 28November 11, 2021 1:06 AM

You’re erasing Mrs. Teasley.

by Anonymousreply 29November 11, 2021 1:09 AM

[quote] R11, that pic has one black, one Indian, two Asian, and four LatinX girls so what’s your point?

r18 You know, they just mean "black", "not enough black"

by Anonymousreply 30November 11, 2021 1:13 AM

America isn't as socially integrated as some would like to portray.

by Anonymousreply 31November 11, 2021 1:13 AM

I always thought Eye-awn was hot. And he also dated an Asian on the show so screw you haters!

by Anonymousreply 32November 11, 2021 1:23 AM

OP, your mistake, and you'll continue making it until you get it into your narrow, very narrow world view, is applying today's template over past anything. Can't you post on another site where people, like you, are generally uneducated & just plain stupid?

by Anonymousreply 33November 11, 2021 1:29 AM

And there's no trannies! NO TRANNIES! Where are them?

by Anonymousreply 34November 11, 2021 1:30 AM

Diversity is so overrated.

by Anonymousreply 35November 11, 2021 1:31 AM

[quote] Can't you post on another site where people, like you, are generally uneducated & just plain stupid?

He already posts on DL.

by Anonymousreply 36November 11, 2021 1:31 AM

One detail I remember likely was that they actually commented on Jason's attractiveness several times in the show. None of this BS where the "plain kids" would be 7-8 in real life.

by Anonymousreply 37November 11, 2021 1:32 AM

Wasn't Carly trans?

by Anonymousreply 38November 11, 2021 1:33 AM

Grow the fuck up OP

by Anonymousreply 39November 11, 2021 1:37 AM

Emily Valentine (Christine Elise) was poor and trashy. Is that not diverse enough for you?

by Anonymousreply 40November 11, 2021 1:40 AM

Well years ago they cast actual attractive young people to play the attractive young people. Now they cast meh looking people and we are supposed to believe they’re hot. Not always, but sometimes.

90210, SBTB etc. all had attractive youth playing attractive youth.

by Anonymousreply 41November 11, 2021 1:40 AM

I think Ian is ok but he really was miscast as Steve based on appearance solely.

by Anonymousreply 42November 11, 2021 1:42 AM

The poster who said that years ago Hollywood’s form of diversity was based on hair color is correct. That was an actual thing and rule almost. They never called it diversity, of course, but that is how it was used and meant.

If a film or show has 3 female main characters, you need at least one blonde in the group, or one brunette etc. if they felt like being super “diverse” they made one a ginger.

I remember when they were casting Gossip Girl they made natural blonde Leighton Meester dye her hair brown because they can’t have both female leads be blonde. One needed to have dark hair, and while Blake is a natural brunette, Serena should be blonde and they sided with Blake and made Leighton go dark.

by Anonymousreply 43November 11, 2021 1:46 AM

Casted

by Anonymousreply 44November 11, 2021 1:49 AM

It was the 90s.

I think most people accept that things were different.

I remember Brandon's school principle being black.

I also remember Vivica A. Fox's "family" moved in and was the Walsh's next door neighbor who we saw once for a very special episode and never again.

They would do better now which is the most important thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45November 11, 2021 1:53 AM

Beverly Hills was founded by differently-abled trans womyn of color! Why didn't they tell that story?

by Anonymousreply 46November 11, 2021 1:57 AM

Where were the gays, except on very special episodes to watch for them?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47November 11, 2021 2:25 AM

[quote] Where were the gays

They were not apart of the original show.

by Anonymousreply 48November 11, 2021 2:28 AM

Blacks make up, what, 13% of the US population? So if there were a show with 10 characters, having 2 black characters would be disproportionate representation of blacks and over-diversification of the cast.

Those are just numbers. In reality, who cares?

It is very common in the real world that most people actually live in for people to surround themselves with people of similar backgrounds who have shared life experiences. That does not equate to racism. A white person being around another white person does not mean they belong to the KKK.

by Anonymousreply 49November 11, 2021 2:47 AM

Where are all the persians? Also, Andrea and David are the only jewish kids? Beverly Hills has never been this white IRL. It's a predominantly jewish community. The cast is more representative of Newport Beach.

by Anonymousreply 50November 11, 2021 2:55 AM

[quote]They couldn’t cast one person of color

Sex sells.

by Anonymousreply 51November 11, 2021 3:07 AM

[quote]They were not apart of the original show.

One of my teen crushes, David Lascher from "Hey Dude" and "Saved by the Bell" played Kelly's boyfriend (Kyle Connors) who turned out to be gay for a few episodes.

The network made Darren Starr be very careful about what actually was said on the show. They were also equally difficult about Melrose Place's gay character, Matt who spent years not even getting to so much as kiss someone. Early on they filmed one but the network had it cut.

It was a very different time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52November 11, 2021 3:15 AM

Actually he wasn't on Saved by the Bell. Got my wires crossed. He was on the Clueless tv series.

by Anonymousreply 53November 11, 2021 3:18 AM

He was also on Sabrina The Teenage Witch

by Anonymousreply 54November 11, 2021 3:34 AM

Shut up OP or I’ll send Shannen Doherty to your house

by Anonymousreply 55November 11, 2021 4:15 AM

Not OP but Shannen is practically on her death bed. She’s going nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 56November 11, 2021 4:18 AM

The good ole days.

by Anonymousreply 57November 11, 2021 4:37 AM

R49 blacks represent only 6% of the California population. Probably less in zip code 90210.

by Anonymousreply 58November 11, 2021 6:49 AM

I am aware R58. I was giving an example based on national averages, given that television shows on network television are broadcast to a national audience.

by Anonymousreply 59November 11, 2021 6:57 AM

Where's the black girl? Where's Screech? You're presenting a slanted perspective just to rattle the racist cage. Boo, I say. Boo!

by Anonymousreply 60November 11, 2021 7:06 AM

Speaking of white, popular actors in the 90s were all so pale have you noticed? If this had been 10+ years later kelly and Brenda would have had spray tans, no doubt.

by Anonymousreply 61November 11, 2021 7:13 AM

There was a lack of diversity in real life. I teach at a small university. When I started teaching the in the mid-1990s, my department had one tenured track woman, , no Black or Latino faculty, and no openly gay faculty.. It is far different today, but Black faculty members are still underrepresented. And in my personal life, I knew few Black people I would call close friends. There were two Americas back then. After the passing of the Civil Rights Bill in 1964, we still had de facto segregation. Television reflected it. By the 1990s, when 90210 was on the air, I remember shows with predominately Black actors centered on one network -- I believe it was the WB.

Even today, take a look at the "friends" on a white person's FB page...a majority only have a handful (if that) of non-white "friends."

by Anonymousreply 62November 11, 2021 7:25 AM

Stop trying to create racism where it isn't, R62.

by Anonymousreply 63November 11, 2021 7:34 AM

That’s what white gay men do, R63.

by Anonymousreply 64November 11, 2021 11:49 AM

[quote]blacks represent only 6% of the California population. Probably less in zip code 90210.

The show wasn't actually real, you know that right?

by Anonymousreply 65November 11, 2021 12:38 PM

This show went on way too long.

by Anonymousreply 66November 11, 2021 1:35 PM

I hate when ads or tv shows put in a person of a different race just because it's the politically correct thing to do. I don't need to see a whitie in a Madea movie. Why is everything about race?

by Anonymousreply 67November 11, 2021 1:39 PM

I notice commercials where the they clearly put in black actors for the sake of woke in a “house” designed by a white set designer, with a white family in mind.

by Anonymousreply 68November 11, 2021 2:22 PM

[quote]Even today, take a look at the "friends" on a white person's FB page...a majority only have a handful (if that) of non-white "friends."

Many of blacks, Asians, and Latinos also don't have diverse friendships. Why are some of you so concerned with who a white person's friends are?

[quote]America isn't as socially integrated as some would like to portray.

Exactly. Here in New England (Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine) whites are 80% of the population; some states like Maine and NH are around 95% white. On the other hand, blacks are only 7%. Thus, plenty of so-called token blacks up here. I went to school with a few in my predominantly white school/town. It is also the same in the Northwest and the Heartland.

by Anonymousreply 69November 11, 2021 2:38 PM

[quote]Actually he wasn't on Saved by the Bell. Got my wires crossed. He was on the Clueless tv series.

[quote]He was also on Sabrina The Teenage Witch

And BLOSSOM. That's where I first fell in love with him.

by Anonymousreply 70November 11, 2021 2:41 PM

R11 also, they're all women. That explains Huffungton Post to me. White liberal women are the worst SJWs. So desperate to be seen as 'woke.'

by Anonymousreply 71November 11, 2021 2:43 PM

[quote]Many of blacks, Asians, and Latinos also don't have diverse friendships. Why are some of you so concerned with who a white person's friends are?

Because these groups get away with everything—and that’s dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 72November 11, 2021 2:48 PM

OP, as others have stated, there were plenty of all-black cast shows in the '90s: FRESH PRINCE, MARTIN, HANGIN' WITH MR. COOPER, LIVING SINGLE, FAMILY MATTERS, SISTER SISTER, MOESHA and its spin-off THE PARKERS (with token white Jenna Von Oy), etc. Do you think those shows needed to be diversified?

This is why I can't take SJWs seriously. According to them, all-black cast = good; all-white cast = white supremacy. Even a group of white friends to them is white supremacy. 'White supremacy' is all you ever hear in the media these days. That and 'patriarchy.' It's getting tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 73November 11, 2021 2:50 PM

[quote]OP, as others have stated, there were plenty of all-black cast shows in the '90s: FRESH PRINCE, MARTIN, HANGIN' WITH MR. COOPER, LIVING SINGLE, FAMILY MATTERS, SISTER SISTER, MOESHA and its spin-off THE PARKERS (with token white Jenna Von Oy), etc. Do you think those shows needed to be diversified?

You never watched most of these shows, did you?

They all had white characters that popped up on them from time to time or recurred/were regulars.

[quote](with token white Jenna Von Oy)

Doesn't matter how much you insult the fact that there was a white regular on the show, you've just disproven your point.

90210 couldn't be bothered to even have a non-white character on it to be a "token" but you'll make fun of The Parkers for having one?

It was decades ago and that's how things were then but don't act like the Fresh Prince didn't have Kellogg "Cornflake" Lieberbaum while he went to school with white kids, Sister Sister had Denise, Steve, Marlon and other people, Martin had Buck White, Hanging with Mr. Cooper had white students who had speaking roles and recurred, etc.

by Anonymousreply 74November 11, 2021 3:25 PM

Every black sitcom had white friends

by Anonymousreply 75November 11, 2021 3:34 PM

Not Good Times.

by Anonymousreply 76November 11, 2021 3:40 PM

We are speaking of the 90s. Not the 60s and 70s.

by Anonymousreply 77November 11, 2021 3:41 PM

[quote]It is far different today, but Black faculty members are still underrepresented.

Since you've gone full SJW with the capitalization of 'black', I'd like some numbers for your underrepresentation claim. How big was the department and how many were black? How many were other races? Or, does only black diversity matter?

by Anonymousreply 78November 11, 2021 4:58 PM

R25, Are you ignoring the Persian/Iranian influx into BH?

Around that same time period I was about to rent a place in BH. Was told that under NO circumstances could I have Black friends visit.

I asked if that included my UCLA housemate, a paralegal with a top Los Angeles firm who looked like a model. Or her Black accountant brother who's wife was also a accountant and a Swedish blond. Also her schoolteacher mother. Wasn't given an answer.

Yes a church friend of my Black GF was carrying home his mechanics' tools after working late one night at a BH gas station helping a loyal customer with car trouble. Was stopped by BH police. LE called his boss to verify his identify to get him out of jail. Wasn't doing anything wrong either. LE said to be careful being out at night in BH as they got multiple calls. He was just "Black in BH" as the saying goes.

by Anonymousreply 79November 11, 2021 7:22 PM

[Quote] If a film or show has 3 female main characters, you need at least one blonde in the group, or one brunette etc. if they felt like being super “diverse” they made one a ginger.

Or you had one blonde girl, one black girl and a redhead. The redhead was usually the enemy.

[Quote] One needed to have dark hair, and while Blake is a natural brunette, Serena should be blonde and they sided with Blake and made Leighton go dark.

It was the right move because Leighton looked great as a brunette.

by Anonymousreply 80November 12, 2021 8:18 AM

R63, I am not trying to create racism where it is not. I was just posting out that when I started teaching, there was a lack of diversity there, but that diversity has increased since then, which has improved the quality of the university due to the variety of experiences of people from all areas of life.

R69, of course we all gravitate towards people who look like us or have similar make-ups. There's a level of intimacy that I, as a gay man, share with other gay men. But getting to know and befriend someone from an entirely different backgrounds gives us greater empathy for and understanding of their experiences.

Look at what has happened because more gay men and women live their lives out of the closet. Getting to know us has changed straight people's attitudes towards us.

by Anonymousreply 81November 12, 2021 1:46 PM

Only we don’t all r81. I’ve never gravitated toward people based on skin color. Ever. I’ve had friends who were black, who were white, Chinese etc.

But that’s the difference when you go to school in Brooklyn during the 90s and 00s. You guys can’t relate to us.

by Anonymousreply 82November 12, 2021 1:50 PM

Here you are, OP.

Feel better, you race-baiting turd?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83November 12, 2021 1:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!