Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Care to share a Thanksgiving recipe?

I make this every year because my grandmother loves it. Honestly, I think because there's wine in it.

CRANBERRY WINE JELLO SALAD

1 large (6 oz.) pkg. or 2 pkg. (3 oz. each) raspberry jello (or any flavor)

1 1/4 cups boiling water

1 (1 lb) can whole cranberry sauce

1 (1 lb) can crushed pineapple, undrained

1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

3/4 cup port wine

FOR THE TOPPING:

1 (8 oz) pkg. cream cheese, softened

1 cup sour cream

Dissolve jello in boiling water.

Stir cranberry sauce in thoroughly. Add pineapple, nuts and wine. Pour into a 13x9-inch glass dish and chill for 24 hours.

WHEN READY TO SERVE:

Stir cream cheese until soft, add sour cream and beat well. Spread on top of Jello. Servings: 6

What's your specialty?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189November 27, 2021 6:53 PM

Make sure you drain the walnuts or pecans.

by Anonymousreply 1November 8, 2021 11:36 PM

Barf

by Anonymousreply 2November 9, 2021 4:05 AM

Just a tip: wherever a liquid is called for in the recipe like stuffing or gravy I use a nice white wine. Not only does it taste delicious, the house smells divine.

by Anonymousreply 3November 9, 2021 4:25 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4November 9, 2021 4:37 AM

"I use a nice white wine."

What is a bad white wine?

by Anonymousreply 5November 9, 2021 4:40 AM

[quote]Care to share a Thanksgiving recipe?

No!

Next question.

by Anonymousreply 6November 9, 2021 4:40 AM

OP, I've made that recipe many times but have never heard of including wine. And I do mine in a Bundt pan and put the "topping" in the center.

by Anonymousreply 7November 9, 2021 10:17 AM

So many cunts on this thread!

by Anonymousreply 8November 9, 2021 11:38 AM

I have one, but it's not vegatarian. - J. Dahmer

by Anonymousreply 9November 9, 2021 1:53 PM

[quote] I have one, but it's not vegatarian. - J. Dahmer

I'm a vagitarian.

by Anonymousreply 10November 9, 2021 3:07 PM

Martha's Cranberry Walnut Tart. I skip the cognac. I also like to make panna cotta. Or crème caramel.

No pumpkin pie for me, thanks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11November 9, 2021 3:25 PM

[R5] the bad white wine cost 99cents

by Anonymousreply 12November 9, 2021 4:21 PM

I thought you weren't supposed to use pinapple in Jell-O because it keeps it from setting.

by Anonymousreply 13November 9, 2021 4:24 PM

My recipe for thankgiving corn.....open can....heat....

by Anonymousreply 14November 9, 2021 4:25 PM

My classic...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 9, 2021 4:26 PM

You can't use fresh, r13. Canned is fine.

by Anonymousreply 16November 9, 2021 4:27 PM

1 can pumpkin pie filling.

1 cup sugar.

1 cup heavy cream.

Mix together. Pour into ready made pie crust.

Bake at 400 degrees for forty five minutes.

There's my contribution.

by Anonymousreply 17November 9, 2021 5:21 PM

Here are 4 of my favorites. They don't call me the king of casseroles for nothing.

#1 Carrot Soufflé

Ingredients

2 lbs carrots, peeled & cut into 1/2" pieces

1 stick of butter, melted

1 cup sugar

3 Tbs A/P flour

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

3 eggs, beaten

powdered sugar (for dusting)

Directions

Preheat oven to 350°

Boil carrots in salted water until tender (20-25 minutes). Drain well and transfer to a large mixing bowl. While carrots are still warm, add sugar, baking powder & vanilla extract. Using a mixer blend until smooth.

Add flour, beaten eggs, & butter and mix well between each addition.

Pour mixture into a 2 quart baking dish.

Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until top is a light golden brown. Dust with powdered sugar just before serving.

by Anonymousreply 18November 9, 2021 5:51 PM

Brussel sprouts.

Someone please provide a decent recipe to make brussel sprouts.

Because I hate them, but I'll probably end up making them.

by Anonymousreply 19November 9, 2021 5:53 PM

#2 John Wayne Casserole (sort of a cross between a casserole and a cheese souffle)

2 cans (4 ounces each) green chilies, drained and diced

1 lb. Monterey Jack cheese, grated

1 lb. sharp Cheddar cheese, grated

4 eggs, separated

2/3 cup evaporated milk

1 T. flour

1/2 t. salt

1/8 t. black pepper

Preheat oven to 325°.

Combine grated cheeses and diced chiles. Place in greased two quart casserole.

Beat egg whites until stiff and set aside.

Combine egg yolks, milk, flour, salt and pepper until well blended. Gently fold egg whites into yolk mixture. Pour over cheeses and chiles, and use fork to gently combine the two mixtures. Bake 30-35 minutes until top turns golden brown.

by Anonymousreply 20November 9, 2021 5:54 PM

#3 Pineapple Casserole

3/4 stick butter (melted)

1 1/4 tube Ritz crackers (crushed)

1 cup A/P flour (if using self rising flour omit the baking powder & salt)

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1 cup sugar

2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

2 20 oz cans of chunk pineapple (drained)

DIRECTIONS

Combine the crushed Ritz crackers & melted butter in a bowl & mix well. Set aside.

Spray a 2 1/2 quart baking dish with cooking spray.

In a separate large bowl place the flour & sugar and whisk to combine.

Add the shredded cheese to the bowl and mix well with a spatula.

Add the drained pineapple to the mixture and mix well. The mixture will appear quite dry.

Place the mixture into the greased casserole dish. Sprinkle the Ritz cracker topping over the top of the casserole.

Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown.

by Anonymousreply 21November 9, 2021 5:55 PM

#4 Potatoes au Gratin

Ingredients

3 lbs baking potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4"

2 medium onions, sliced 1/4"

1 (6 ounce) package sliced process American cheese

Salt and pepper

1 1/4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded

1/4 cup butter

1/4 cup flour

1 pinch cayenne pepper (or to taste)

3 cups warm whole milk

Directions

Preheat oven to 400°

Butter a 13 x 9" baking dish.

Cook the sliced potatoes in boiling water for about 5 minutes and drain.

Layer one-third of the partially-cooked potatoes in bottom of the baking dish, then one-third of onion slices, then one-third of the cheese slices.

Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then repeat layers two more times.

Sprinkle top with the shredded cheddar.

For the sauce; in a medium heavy saucepan melt butter over low heat.

Add in flour and cayenne then stir for 1 minute.

Slowly add in milk; whisk or stir until bubbly and thickened (about 3 minutes).

Pour the sauce over the cheese and potato mixture.

Bake for about 35 minutes or until golden.

Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

by Anonymousreply 22November 9, 2021 5:57 PM

Oh, R20.

Your guests are going to have the SHITS when they go home!

by Anonymousreply 23November 9, 2021 6:13 PM

Brussel sprouts aren't a traditional Thanksgiving food so unless you and your guests just love them I wouldn't serve them. I think the best way to make them is just to microwave them and serve them with whatever dressing you want (I like a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkles of Parmesan.) You have to make sure to cook them thoroughly, which means until they're olive drab green. If you try to eat them when they're still bright green they'll be tough and taste like iodine.

by Anonymousreply 24November 9, 2021 6:21 PM

Arrgh R24, that's what always happens when I cook brussel sprouts!

They are always tough, and I could never figure out the weird taste, but it's iodine!

No wonder.

by Anonymousreply 25November 9, 2021 6:24 PM

I simply cut my brussels sprouts in half and pan fry them in butter with diced bacon and a little salt and pepper. Simple is always better.

by Anonymousreply 26November 9, 2021 6:27 PM

there are two brussels sprouts recipes in this video that look really really good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 9, 2021 6:29 PM

[quote] Oh, [R20]. Your guests are going to have the SHITS when they go home!

Nah, the baking process takes care of any adverse effects from the chillies & the spicy cheese. I've been serving that dish for decades and I've never had anyone complain about it. In fact everyone who eats it loves it. What's not to like about a cheese soufflé?

by Anonymousreply 28November 9, 2021 6:30 PM

Lichens

by Anonymousreply 29November 9, 2021 6:33 PM

R19 Brussels sprouts are tricky because if you make the. In advance and travel they need to be reheated and will make your host’s entire house smell like farts

I like them tossed in olive oil with uncooked bacon or pancetta mixed in. Roast in 400 degree oven for 35 - 40 minutes until crispy/lightly charred.

R24 Brussels sprouts are very prominently featured in the Northeast for Thanksgiving. A few years ago at the local farmers market the Saturday before Thanksgiving there was nearly a riot at one stand as people rushed to get theirs before they ran out.

by Anonymousreply 30November 9, 2021 6:33 PM

Thanksgiving is just an excuse to eat about a pound of sugar in one day.

by Anonymousreply 31November 9, 2021 6:33 PM

Brussels sprouts:

Cut them in half and cook (steam, blanch, whatever).

Apples, peeled, raw

Celery, raw.

Blue or Gorgonzola cheese.

Homemade oil & vinegar salad dressing. (I would use a clear vinegar, not a red one.)

Salad dressing: Olive oil, vinegar, onions, garlic, salt, pepper, mustard if you have it -- shake in a covered jar. Pour on salad and toss.

by Anonymousreply 32November 9, 2021 6:35 PM

Deep fried Pizza Rolls

Heat oil in deep fryer or dutch oven until hot.

Add frozen pizza rolls in small batches

Observe while frying, they are done when filling just begins to leak out.

Drain on paper towels.

Stuff your face like a greedy gobble gannet

Pairs well with deep fried jalapeño poppers, mozzarella sticks, and breaded mushrooms.

by Anonymousreply 33November 9, 2021 6:38 PM

The best Brussels sprouts recipe is this (and it's labor intensive): wilt raw leaves of the sprouts in warm bacon and vinegar dressing. (A variation on spinach salad).

by Anonymousreply 34November 9, 2021 6:39 PM

[quote]They don't call me the king of casseroles for nothing.

Are you sure they don't call you the QUEEN of casseroles?

by Anonymousreply 35November 9, 2021 6:40 PM

[quote] Are you sure they don't call you the QUEEN of casseroles?

Well! I do declare! 👍😊

by Anonymousreply 36November 9, 2021 6:44 PM

I make Susan Stamberg's Cranberry Relish every year. As she herself says, "It sounds terrible but tastes terrific." It is also EXCELLENT on a leftover-turkey sandwich the next day. The second relish recipe on the page is also fantastic. Win-win!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37November 9, 2021 6:47 PM

R32 that sound really nice. I would use balsamic vinegar in the dressing. Bringing a cold salad is better than bringing something that needs to be heated before serving.

by Anonymousreply 38November 9, 2021 6:52 PM

r37 It's her mother-in-law's recipe, not hers.

by Anonymousreply 39November 9, 2021 7:01 PM

Here are two more of my tried and true turkey day casseroles that people always love. Broccoli Casserole and Squash Casserole.

BROCCOLI CASSEROLE

20 oz. chopped broccoli, steamed and drained

1 cup mayonnaise

1 cup grated sharp cheddar

2 Tbs. grated onions

1 (10 3/4 oz) can condensed cream of mushroom soup

3 eggs, lightly beaten

1 tube Ritz Crackers - crushed (or more if you prefer a thicker crust)

1/2 stick butter, melted

Directions

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x9" baking dish.

In a large bowl, combine broccoli, mayonnaise, cheese, soup, onion & eggs. Mix well. Place the mixture in the prepared baking dish. Pour melted butter into crushed crackers and mix well. Top casserole with the crushed crackers. Bake for 45 minutes or until set and browned.

----------- SQUASH CASSEROLE

Ingredients

2 lbs sliced yellow squash (1/4" thick)

1/2 cup chopped onion (large chop)

35 Ritz crackers, crushed (1 tube)

1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

2 eggs, beaten

3/4 cup evaporated milk

1/2 stick butter, melted

1 tsp salt

Black pepper to taste

2 Tbs butter

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 400°.

2. Cook squash and onion in a skillet in a small amount of water until squash is tender. Drain well, and place in a large bowl. With a wooden spoon stir briskly to break up the squash pieces somewhat.

3. In a medium bowl, mix together cracker crumbs and cheese. Stir half of the cracker mixture into the cooked squash and onions. In a small bowl, mix together eggs and milk, then add to squash mixture. Stir in 1/4 cup melted butter, and season with salt and pepper. Spread into a 9x9" baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cracker mixture, and dot with 2 Tbs butter.

4. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until lightly browned.

by Anonymousreply 40November 9, 2021 7:27 PM

R33 will be celebrating a Kentucky Hillbilly Thanksgiving!

by Anonymousreply 41November 9, 2021 7:28 PM

Tuna casserole.

Combine boiled spaghetti, two cans of tuna, mayonnaise, and Campbell's mushroom soup in a bowl.

Butter a casserole dish. Pour the above mixture into the dish, top with cheese and breadcrumbs.

Bake at 350 for one hour.

Absolutely delish!

by Anonymousreply 42November 9, 2021 11:02 PM

Fresh or frozen pineapple has an enzyme that prevents Jell-O from setting. The process of canning pineapple removes or deactivates that enzyme.

by Anonymousreply 43November 9, 2021 11:05 PM

No, R42 -- top with crushed potato chips from the bottom of the bag that would otherwise be thrown out! I've always thought that tuna casserole was invented for the purpose of saving those potato chip remnants.

by Anonymousreply 44November 9, 2021 11:07 PM

You're right, R44.

Crumbled chips would taste much better and add a crispier texture.

by Anonymousreply 45November 9, 2021 11:10 PM

Mystery Aspic

3 cans stewed tomatoes (14 oz. each?)

3 small or 2 large packages raspberry Jell-O

6 drops Tabasco sauce

Boil 1 1/2 cups water. Add the Jell-O to it and stir until dissolved. Add all the contents of the cans of tomatoes. Add the Tabasco sauce. Mix well and pour into a Jell-O mold. Chill for several hours.

I'm sure you'll reply "yuck!" but it is tasty and tangy.

by Anonymousreply 46November 9, 2021 11:10 PM

OP, I was always told Pineapple interferes with Jello being able to set properly. Aside from that, a friend of mine would make something very similar to this with the raspberry Jello, but sans the cream cheese topping and pineapple. It was great.

by Anonymousreply 47November 9, 2021 11:45 PM

r42 Why not try Tuna Montezuma instead?

by Anonymousreply 48November 9, 2021 11:46 PM

What's that, R48?

by Anonymousreply 49November 9, 2021 11:47 PM

R19, here's an Ina Garten sprouts recipe from another DL thread -- sounds good and looks easy:

SAUTEED SHREDDED BRUSSELS SPROUTS

2 (12-ounce) packages Brussels sprouts, ends and brown leaves trimmed2 tablespoons unsalted butter

2 tablespoons good olive oil

1 1/2 tsp Kosher salt

1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

1 tablespoon syrupy balsamic vinegar [Trader Joe's sells a great reduced balsamic glaze that would probably work here]

Place the Brussels sprouts in the feed tube of the food processor fitted with a large slicing disc. (There is no need to core them.) Process the Brussels sprouts until they're all sliced. [The shredded sprouts can be held in a plastic bag with a damp paper towel for up to 1 day.]

Place the butter and olive oil in a large (12-inch) saute pan and heat it over medium heat. Add the sliced Brussels sprouts, salt, and pepper and saute them, stirring frequently, for about 4 to 5 minutes, until tender but still bright green. Stir in the balsamic vinegar, season to taste, and serve hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50November 9, 2021 11:55 PM

[quote] 2 tablespoons good olive oil

I still have no idea what that means.

by Anonymousreply 51November 9, 2021 11:59 PM

I'll be making and bringing the classic Philadelphia Cream Cheese No-Bake Cheesecake. I'll be using a prepared graham cracker crust and topping it with canned cherry filling and toasted walnuts.

I don't know why they stopped including the recipe on their packaging, but it's basically just cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, and lemon juice beaten until smooth. Pour into the shell, and refrigerate it to set before adding the toppings. Then refrigerate it some more until ready to serve. You need two blocks of cream cheese for a standard pie crust.

by Anonymousreply 52November 9, 2021 11:59 PM

Yum, R52!

by Anonymousreply 53November 10, 2021 12:04 AM

Vodka

Tonic

Lime

Serve over ice.

by Anonymousreply 54November 10, 2021 12:13 AM

R54 = Karen Walker

by Anonymousreply 55November 10, 2021 12:14 AM

We're going to try making a pumpkin pie with fresh pumpkin. We have one of those small pumpkins that we didn't cut open on Halloween.

by Anonymousreply 56November 10, 2021 12:39 AM

I do a good job with frozen Brussels sprout. Thaw in fridge, stir fry in little oil and salt. Delicious, and quick.

by Anonymousreply 57November 10, 2021 12:51 AM

R52, here's the recipe I've always used. It calls for one 8 oz block of cream cheese and that's worked fine for me -- 1/3 cup of lemon juice is the amount that's needed to cause the 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk to gel (without tasting lemony).

I think of this as a pseudo-cheesecake when I want to try out topping ingredients, like figs or pineapple guavas (feijoas). It's kind of like a blank canvas with a creamy texture and slightly sweet flavor that will support whatever interesting fruits &/or nuts you've got on hand. Also good with different crumb crusts, like gingersnaps or chocolate cookies (both of which can be bought ready-made).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58November 10, 2021 12:53 AM

[quote] We're going to try making a pumpkin pie with fresh pumpkin. We have one of those small pumpkins that we didn't cut open on Halloween.

I hate to say it, but you might want to test things (Halloween pumpkins) out and taste a cooked piece of that pumpkin. Those pumpkins might not taste great. If you're going through the trouble, might as well make sure your pumpkin tastes good.

by Anonymousreply 59November 10, 2021 2:17 AM

R52/R58, growing up in Minnesota we called that a Cherry O'Cream pie. I always thought that was an incredibly stupid name, but I loved it and looked forward to it every year. One year I had it instead of a birthday cake after begging my mother for it.

by Anonymousreply 60November 10, 2021 2:45 AM

Who's bringing the ambrosia salad??

by Anonymousreply 61November 10, 2021 7:21 AM

[quote]Brussel sprouts.

Brussels sprouts. There's no such city as Brussel.

by Anonymousreply 62November 10, 2021 7:31 AM

r51 I didn't say that but maybe they meant real olive oil. Just watched a video about how almost all bottles marked OO are now fake they listed 5 that were not fake and were pure OO. most were from CA and the other one was the Kirkland brand from Costco.

by Anonymousreply 63November 10, 2021 9:14 AM

I hate Thanksgiving dishes, and don't abide by the annual tradition of making the same culinary mistakes year after fucking year.

"Except that one year I did a cranberry and turkey gravy foam and said 'never again!'"

by Anonymousreply 64November 10, 2021 10:07 AM

Log on to Open Table. Select venue, time and party size Ask for wine list upon arrival.

Voila!

by Anonymousreply 65November 10, 2021 10:29 AM

[quote] Just watched a video about how almost all bottles marked OO are now fake they listed 5 that were not fake and were pure OO

I recently fell for this.

The bottle was marked in large print "Extra Virgin Olive Oil."

But when I got home and tasted it, the flavor was different from what I had been used to.

I looked closer at the label, and there is was. I had bought a BLEND of different oils that simply "contained" EVOO.

I was really annoyed.

by Anonymousreply 66November 10, 2021 1:22 PM

I always halve and then parboil my Brussels sprouts for several minutes , drain them and I sauté In olive . When the start to get a little brown I put some red wine or balsamic on them let the vinegar cook off and little and you can sprinkle some bacon to finish.

by Anonymousreply 67November 10, 2021 1:32 PM

Chipped beef on toast for appetizers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68November 10, 2021 1:34 PM

Diced apple and finely chopped red onion works well added to pan fried brussel sprouts. Like the idea of halving them and parboiling 1st.

by Anonymousreply 69November 10, 2021 3:06 PM

The "good olive oil" (and "good vanilla") goes back to Ina Garten, who instructs people to use "good ___." As if we have a bottle of shitty olive oil and are reminded, by Ina, not to use it.

by Anonymousreply 70November 10, 2021 3:58 PM

This thread has the worse recipes EVER!!!

Your food looks and sounds like shit!

by Anonymousreply 71November 10, 2021 5:59 PM

r71 we are sorry you are disappointed. did you know that you can google recipes to find some that are more to your liking?

by Anonymousreply 72November 10, 2021 6:54 PM

R71 your English she looks and sounds terrible!

by Anonymousreply 73November 10, 2021 7:24 PM

R73 She does?

by Anonymousreply 74November 10, 2021 11:26 PM

You're all going to have "the runs" after Thanksgiving, if you eat this slop!

by Anonymousreply 75November 10, 2021 11:27 PM

R75, American Thanksgiving is typically very high fat and loaded with sugar and calories. Justification was to keep warm during frozen winters when long days of hard physical labor outside such as farming and caring for animals was required.

My sweet potato recipe combines pears with the bare minimum of butter, white, and brown sugar, lots of sweet spices plus Tumeric, and a few candied walnuts as a topping. Otherwise I automatically cut down the fattening elements of every recipe.

by Anonymousreply 76November 10, 2021 11:34 PM

The food in this thread is terrible! And such small portions!

by Anonymousreply 77November 10, 2021 11:35 PM

r77 Darfur Orphan would be very happy to have all the food in these recipes.

by Anonymousreply 78November 11, 2021 1:28 AM

Some of you sound like you celebrate Thanksgiving at a Lutheran church potluck in rural Wisconsin.

by Anonymousreply 79November 11, 2021 1:44 AM

R79, Actually I once had a phone friend who lived in rural AR where there were KKK signs on the street signs. Her BF's relatives' holiday meals sounded like what has been described in this thread with the addition of ham and biscuits.

by Anonymousreply 80November 11, 2021 1:49 AM

[quote]My sweet potato recipe combines pears with the bare minimum of butter, white, and brown sugar, lots of sweet spices plus Tumeric, and a few candied walnuts as a topping.

Sweet fucking baby Jesus, what is this revolting pile of abortion?

No marshmallows? No chocolate chips? No candied fruit? No sprinkling of pastel mints? No English sticky toffee pudding sauce? No lemon-honey glaze? No sprinkles?

by Anonymousreply 81November 11, 2021 7:52 AM

The two I am always asked for year after year is my homemade cranberry relish (with raspberries or blackberries or blueberries, whatever I'm feeling like that year) and my chocolate silk pie with oreo cookie crust.

Since nobody tends to like cranberry relish, I won't detail a recipe here. Also it kind of changes from year to year and I sort of wing it on the spices I add to it. But I always add another berry fruit to it and a bit of citrus. The last time I brought it, somebody described it as tasting like the most delicious berry pie.

The chocolate silk pie recipe is one I got off a Hershey's unsweetened cocoa baking squares box. I keep to the recipe on that, and it involves cream cheese, butter, sugar, unsweetened melted chocolate, a teeny bit of vanilla and....wait for it: cool whip. Poor into an oreo cookie crust and top with a little more cool whip and a sprinkle of cocoa (or freshly grated semi-sweet chocolate).

by Anonymousreply 82November 11, 2021 8:11 AM

^^also sweet dinner rolls or molasses oatmeal bread, but being a guest at dinners make that not so conducive as I prefer bread/rolls to be served slightly warm

by Anonymousreply 83November 11, 2021 8:16 AM

Love her or hate her, Martha Stewart knows her Brussels sprouts. Her best recipe is:

-Thoroughly core and leave whole 2 lbs of Brussels sprouts. Steam until JUST tender, 4-5 minutes, depending on size. Break into individual leaves by pressing on the core and opposite end of each sprout. Place in a bowl and pour over browned butter(made from 12 TBSPS.). Salt and pepper to taste. People who HATE sprouts LOVE this. Here's another recipe:

-Trim, halve and steam 2 lbs. Brussels sprouts, set aside. Saute 1 large chopped red onion in olive oil until golden. Add red pepper flakes, 1/2 to 1 tsp. Saute 1 minute. Toss in and stir the sprouts to coat. S&P to taste. Just before you take it off the heat, pour on 2-3 TBSPS. balsamic vinegar. Stir well and serve.

by Anonymousreply 84November 11, 2021 8:26 AM

Damn the smells, no matter what you do with brussels, you should most likely parboil them in boiling water for a few minutes. It cuts the cooking time and your sprouts come out cooked and soft.

My parents always steamed them so they were like little delicious cabbages which we cut in half and put little pats of butter in. I've always loved them. Probably why I like corned beef and cabbage (potatoes, carrots), which I never had until I was an adult and on my own.

by Anonymousreply 85November 11, 2021 9:12 AM

R79 In 1956

by Anonymousreply 86November 11, 2021 1:11 PM

Seriously, I haven't seen recipes like this since I used to look at Mom's Family Circle magazine bck in the 60s.

by Anonymousreply 87November 11, 2021 1:13 PM

R82, I'd love your cranberry relish. Do you use fresh or frozen berries?

I add fresh, finely chopped mango and a little orange juice to mine. Also sweet spices and Tumeric/curry powder.

by Anonymousreply 88November 11, 2021 3:18 PM

What you do is cut the brussels sprouts in half, and sauté, flat side down, in butter. Thos eliminates any bitter taste or weird smell.

Mind you, I ve never actually seen this in person. Only in a fever dream.

by Anonymousreply 89November 11, 2021 3:39 PM

R82, I love cranberry relish....cranberry anything really.

by Anonymousreply 90November 11, 2021 4:02 PM

Rofl R87!

You win the thread!

by Anonymousreply 91November 11, 2021 4:05 PM

I'll share two family favorites with the rich taste of the South!

First, Fannie Flagg's Whistle Stop Corn Casserole, with a fluffy pudding-like texture and rich corn flavor!

17 oz can cream-style corn

11 oz can whole kernel corn, drained

8 oz sour cream

2 eggs, beaten

1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled

8 1/2 oz corn muffin mix (Jiffy)

hardware you need:

12” x 8” x 2” baking dish, greased

oven preheated to 350 degrees

Combine both corns, sour cream, eggs, and butter. Mix well.

Stir in corn muffin mix.

Pour into baking dish and bake for 45 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 92November 11, 2021 5:25 PM

...and Senator Russell was apparently a notorious racist, but his sweet potato casserole was pretty good!

Casserole:

1/2 cup white sugar

1 tsp vanilla

1/3 cup soft butter

3 cups boiled sweet potatoes, skin removed, sliced or chunks

Topping:

1 cup light brown sugar

1/3 cup flour

1 cup chopped pecans

1/3 cup melted butter

Casserole: Mix the sugar, vanilla and butter and spread in the bottom of a casserole dish. Layer sweet potatoes on top.

Topping: Mix topping ingredients and sprinkle on top of potatoes.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 93November 11, 2021 5:29 PM

My godmother's orange cranberry bread, which is directly from the Ocean Spray cookbook:

INGREDIENTS

2 cups flour

1 cup sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

3/4 cup orange juice

1 tablespoon grated orange peel

2 tablespoons shortening

1 egg, well beaten

1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped

1/2 cup chopped nuts

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.

Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a medium mixing bowl. Stir in orange juice, orange peel, shortening and egg. Mix until well blended. Stir in cranberries and nuts. Spread evenly in loaf pan.

Bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 15 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely. Wrap and store overnight. Makes 1 loaf (16 slices).

by Anonymousreply 94November 11, 2021 5:35 PM

We cooked the little pumpkin in the Instant Pot and pureéd it, but we can tell already it won't make a good pie. It's lighter in color, not as thick and not as flavorful as canned pumpkin. So we're not going to make the pie with it. We're making pumpkin soup today.

by Anonymousreply 95November 11, 2021 5:40 PM

Pecan Pie:

Use the recipe on the Karo syrup (the light or clear syrup) bottle.

Crust: my mom made excellent crust, but RIP. I've heard, however, that Pillsbury makes good frozen crust.

I've made this pie a couple of times and people enjoyed it more than the pumpkin pie.

To gild the lily: whipped cream or vanilla ice cream (Haagen Dazs).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96November 11, 2021 5:40 PM

Pumpkin Crumb Cake:

Yield: 18 servings

1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix 1 egg, beaten ½ cup butter, melted 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree 3 eggs, beaten ½ cup white sugar ¼ cup packed brown sugar 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon ½ cup white sugar 3 tablespoons butter, softened ½ cup chopped nuts (Optional)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray or grease one 9x13 inch pan.

Reserve 1 cup cake mix. In a large bowl, combine the remaining dry cake mix with 1 egg and 1/2 cup melted butter. Mix well, and then pat into prepared pan.

In a large bowl, mix together the pumpkin, 3 eggs, 1/2 cup white sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Pour over crust.

In a small bowl, combine reserved 1 cup cake mix, 1/2 cup sugar, and 3 tablespoons softened butter. Crumble over pumpkin filling. Sprinkle nuts evenly over the top, if desired.

Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 97November 11, 2021 5:44 PM

I see Sandra Lee has found Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 98November 11, 2021 5:46 PM

[quote]Darfur Orphan would be very happy to have all the food in these recipes.

Darfur Orphan would be very happy just to have a cup of water.

by Anonymousreply 99November 11, 2021 6:19 PM

When I make a pecan pie I add a glug of Grand Marnier or Cointreau to the filling and finely grate some orange peel into the crust before mixing it. You don't get a lot of orange flavor, just a nice background taste.

by Anonymousreply 100November 11, 2021 6:56 PM

[quote] Darfur Orphan would be very happy to have all the food in these recipes.

[quote] Darfur Orphan would be very happy just to have a cup of water.

Darfur Orphan's going to have some bad diarrhea, eating this crap!

by Anonymousreply 101November 11, 2021 8:54 PM

Anyone have a green bean casserole recipe that doesn't include mushrooms or canned soup of any kind?

by Anonymousreply 102November 11, 2021 8:57 PM

[quote]Darfur Orphan would be very happy just to have a cup of water.

Is he watching his figure?

by Anonymousreply 103November 11, 2021 9:27 PM

This is not Thanksgiving-related, but I have to make all of the desserts for a holiday party and am planning right now. What do we think about a German chocolate pecan pie?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104November 11, 2021 9:31 PM

R104, some things, like pecan pie, are so good on their own that adding chocolate, etc., actually detracts.

Other examples of things good on their own: creme brulee and Key lime pie.

by Anonymousreply 105November 11, 2021 9:52 PM

R102, Are you looking for a green bean casserole with a homemade light cream sauce? Or any make ahead casserole using green beans?

Remember nay-sayers that when many of these fat laden vegetable casseroles were created canned and often home canned veggies were the only alternative available. Portions were small, Men ate 1st. "Save room for dessert/pie" became popular because you were likely hungry after a meager dinner. Men especially worked long hours at physical labor or farming.

by Anonymousreply 106November 11, 2021 10:08 PM

IMO, that green bean casserole is better put to rest. It was invented with canned soup, etc. There are so many other rich foods to eat and make at Thanksgiving.

by Anonymousreply 107November 11, 2021 10:26 PM

It also involves green beans, which are an abomination unto themselves.

by Anonymousreply 108November 11, 2021 10:31 PM

R102 here you go.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109November 11, 2021 10:32 PM

R14 = Carol Channing

by Anonymousreply 110November 11, 2021 10:37 PM

[quote]Darfur Orphan would be very happy just to have a cup of water.

[quote]Is he watching his figure?

No, he's just watching sand. Lots and lots of sand.

by Anonymousreply 111November 12, 2021 12:08 AM

R108, Do you also consider fresh, young green beans "an abomination?"

by Anonymousreply 112November 12, 2021 12:12 AM

Yes, R112. Even haricots verts. It's a disgusting vegetable in any form.

by Anonymousreply 113November 12, 2021 12:15 AM

I make this without the walnuts every year. Sometimes I toss in sauteed mushroom slices. Every single person who's tried it loves it. It's not bad with the walnuts either, I just like the texture better without them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114November 12, 2021 12:18 AM

Fresh green beans make the casserole much better than canned or frozen beans do. You have to pre-cook the beans a long time (I had to steam them for 45 minutes, adding more water). But the results are worth it - the casserole is much better with fresh beans.

by Anonymousreply 115November 12, 2021 12:20 AM

45 minutes is a long time to steam green beans, R115 - they must come out very soft. Is it not still good with firmer green beans? Don't they cook even more when the casserole is baking?

by Anonymousreply 116November 12, 2021 12:22 AM

They probably do cook a little bit more while the casserole is baking, but they should be basically cooked before putting them in the casserole. Most casserole recipes call for it to be baked 20 to 25 minutes, and that's not enough time to cook them from raw. So they need to be pretty well cooked first before adding them to the casserole. I was surprised how long it took in a steamer.

by Anonymousreply 117November 12, 2021 1:25 AM

That's only if you want them the same texture as canned or frozen - fresh green beans can be steamed maybe 10 minutes and should be tender-crisp. It's definitely not necessary to steam them nearly an hour!

by Anonymousreply 118November 12, 2021 1:26 AM

[quote] It also involves green beans, which are an abomination unto themselves.

The recipes in this thread are an abomination!

by Anonymousreply 119November 12, 2021 1:39 AM

r114 that looks delicious! I love trying different kinds of stuffing. I've always wanted to try an acorn-based stuffing.

r82 I always use fresh cranberries and then whatever other berry I'm adding. I LOVE mango and never thought of adding that, but that makes a lot of sense and I'd definitely like to try that out! Spices: usually always cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves. Never thought of turmeric or curry but I could see throwing in a bit of ground cardamom. In years past I've also added a little cognac but I can't recall if that really added much to it. since I haven't done it again, must not have added much to the overall flavor.

Happy early Thanksgiving, everyone!

by Anonymousreply 120November 12, 2021 1:57 AM

Southern green beans are cooked for over an hour. Apparently, they hold up pretty well.

by Anonymousreply 121November 12, 2021 2:33 AM

r120 Chef John over @ FoodWishes has several cranberry sauce recipes, all very easy and they look delicious. I'd check 'em out since you're a big cranberry fan.

A friend makes a Cranberry Walnut pie that is unusual and very tasty. I've never asked her for the recipe, but I'd like to try my hand at it. Chopped walnuts and cranberries are put in the bottom of a pie plate(no crust) and a batter is poured on top. The texture of the finished 'pie' is slightly gritty, it reminds me of half cornbread and half yellow/vanilla cake. Sounds unusual I know but the results are delicious.

by Anonymousreply 122November 12, 2021 3:39 AM

Yes, it was necessary to steam fresh green beans for 45 minutes. Have you ever actually tried steaming frsh green beans?

by Anonymousreply 123November 12, 2021 3:42 AM

R122, that sounds like the late Laurie Colwin's "Nantucket Cranberry Pie", which is more like a cake. Very good, and certainly easy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124November 12, 2021 12:27 PM

And this cranberry/apple cake by Ina Garten is also excellent (though a little more work).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125November 12, 2021 12:32 PM

[quote][R114] that looks delicious! I love trying different kinds of stuffing. I've always wanted to try an acorn-based stuffing.

"Acoorn-based"?

by Anonymousreply 126November 12, 2021 1:23 PM

Someone should compile these recipes into a book on Flyoverstani cuisine

by Anonymousreply 127November 12, 2021 1:27 PM

Not everyone likes curated locally-sourced organic fenugreek sprouts as the main entreé for Thanksgiving.

by Anonymousreply 128November 12, 2021 3:26 PM

so many annoying, snobby fucks in this thread. Nothing to contribute but unfunny , negative snark. At least be witty while being a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 129November 12, 2021 6:26 PM

Or at least contribute a non-flyover, tried-and-true, recipe. People just want to bitch about how sophisticated their palates are compared to the plebe palates on this website. We're all fucking plebes, posting on DL.

by Anonymousreply 130November 12, 2021 6:30 PM

I was not being snarky at R127

People don't make these sorts of mid-20th century dishes anymore. At least not younger people.

So many of these recipes will die with you Eldergays and your moms and sisters.

I think a book of recipes like this would actually do very well, especially if the art direction was well done to give off that Pax Americana vibe

by Anonymousreply 131November 12, 2021 6:48 PM

r124 My friend who makes the Cranberry Walnut Pie has been doing it for more than 40 years. I wonder how old is the recipe you posted?

Seems like an awful lot of sugar(2 and 1/2 cups) The way the ingredients are listed though I wonder if the sugar mentioned with the melted butter is an error, or simply a mistaken reduplication?

Thanks for posting the recipe, it's certainly a jumping off point.

by Anonymousreply 132November 12, 2021 7:20 PM

R132, Colwin died in 1992 but the recipe appears in her book "More Home Cooking", which was published posthumously. I don't remember what she said about it in the book, but it's quite possible that she didn't claim to have invented it and was just giving it circulation by having it published for the first time.

The total amount of sugar is 1 and 1/2 cups. First, 1/2 cup is mixed with the berries and nuts, which mixture is poured into the pan. Then 1 cup is mixed with all other ingredients to form the batter that's poured over the ingredients that are in the pan.

by Anonymousreply 133November 12, 2021 8:34 PM

That orange-cranberry bread does sound good. I will try making that this weekend. Orange and cranberry are two flavors that go well together. Grandma Flyoverstani was right about a lot of things!

by Anonymousreply 134November 12, 2021 8:41 PM

TADA!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135November 12, 2021 8:46 PM

Insanely fattening. Insanely good.

RANDY’S Favorite Mashed Potatoes

**Make plenty as they are going love them!

Ingredients:

5 lbs potatoes ½ lbs butter ½ lbs cream cheese ¾ cup sour cream 1 Cup half and half (You may like a little more depending how thick you like your potatoes) salt to taste white paper to taste

Method

1. Do this in 2 batches 2. Cook potatoes (leave the skin on and cook them in the microwave) for 5 to 8 minutes depending on your microwave (until they are soft and ready to mash) 3. Add ½ of all ingredients slowly in a K-5 kitchen aid or a mixer a. Start with the butter, then do the cream cheese b. Add the potatoes one at a time c. Add the sour cream d. Add the half and half until it is the desired consistency 4. Each time, add salt and pepper to taste

**You can try these extra things to customize your dish:

Add garlic if you like. I use roasted, chopped or even granulated. Substitute white pepper for seasoned. Swirl sauteed spinach into the potatoes. Add cheddar cheese instead of the cream cheese.

by Anonymousreply 136November 12, 2021 9:00 PM

r126 yes, "acorn-based" as in the main ingredient is using acorns. You do know what acorns are, right?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137November 12, 2021 11:28 PM

r137 There are no acorns in the recipe that was linked.

by Anonymousreply 138November 12, 2021 11:31 PM

r137 - reading comprehension is a problem for you, isn't it? it's the VERY FIRST INGREDIENT LISTED.

1/2 cup leached, dried acorn pieces 2 tablespoons butter Half an onion 1/4 cup dried wild mushrooms 2 cloves garlic 1/4 teaspoon tarragon 1/4 teaspoon salt 1.6 cups dry breadcrumbs

by Anonymousreply 139November 12, 2021 11:40 PM

The first ingredient in EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL. There are no acorns in the recipe at r114.

by Anonymousreply 140November 13, 2021 12:01 AM

My recipe is at r137 with regard to the acorn-based stuffing. I think you're confusing me with someone else. I'll link it again for you. Again, ingredients listed below:

1/2 cup leached, dried acorn pieces

2 tablespoons butter

Half an onion

1/4 cup dried wild mushrooms

2 cloves garlic

1/4 teaspoon tarragon

1/4 teaspoon salt

1.6 cups dry breadcrumbs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141November 13, 2021 12:07 AM

Would someone be willing to teach me how to make a delicious salad dressing - perhaps a reduced balsamic or sherry shallot? I’ve never made homemade dressing and undersrand it’s pretty simple. Thank you in advance.

by Anonymousreply 142November 13, 2021 2:07 AM

My specialty would be some contraption brought to the table allowing me to invisibly dump that into my lap's table napkin faster than Mia did with Minnie's chocolate 'mouse' in "Rosemary's Baby," and excuse myself to use the bathroom to lob that cranberry-wine shit right down the toilet.

by Anonymousreply 143November 13, 2021 3:02 AM

R142, I posted my salad dressing recipe / method at R32. IMO, you don't need to reduce balsamic vinegar; it's already super-concentrated tasting.

by Anonymousreply 144November 13, 2021 3:14 AM

I have made pies and other delights with fresh pumpkin for a long time. (Any type of pumpkin, does not have to be 'sugar pie.') First of all, bake the pumpkin: I cut them in half, scoop out the seeds, and bake at 350° until soft - fork goes right through like a baked potato. Usually about 45 mins to an hour. If the pumpkin is huge (I grew and baked a 42 lb pumpkin once) just cut into big pieces.

Once done, cool until pumpkin is easy to handle & remove peel. Cut baked pumpkin into chunks and put into a stock pot over medium heat. You are scorching the pumpkin, caramelizing it - that's the secret. Just leave it over low heat, every once in a while stir what's in the pot and mash it all down. It gets darker the longer it cooks, and sweeter since the sugars in the pumpkin are caramelizing. It won't burn unless you have the heat too high. It will lose volume as it cooks down, becoming more dense. Nothing but pumpkin in the pot (no oil etc.). While It's cooking I take a wooden spoon and push the pumpkin aside until there's a little circle in the middle exposing the bottom of the pot. As it cooks some liquid will infill the circle a bit. Once cooking for a while, stirring & mashing, the liquid will cease to appear, meaning the pumpkin is sufficiently dried and caramelized. This is easy, and takes a couple of hours. You don't have to babysit the pan. You can attend to other things, just check it every once in a while. If pumpkin sticks to bottom of the pan and browns, good, it's scorching. Stir it up and let it cook again. When sufficiently caramelized, put the lid on pan (no lid while cooking) and remove from heat, let cool. That's your filling. Purée and use for pie, pumpkin mousse, pumpkin pancakes, savory pumpkin dishes (pumpkin lasagna with Tellegio cheese...drool), pumpkin/ginger soup...my name should be Pumpkin Patty.

(You do use stainless steel pots, don't you darling?)

by Anonymousreply 145November 13, 2021 4:14 AM

These recipes are horrible!!!!

by Anonymousreply 146November 13, 2021 4:14 AM

R146- Why?

by Anonymousreply 147November 13, 2021 1:35 PM

Here's a Thanksgiving recipe - give some or all of your leftovers (because you know there will be tons) to some local homeless. I've done this before and you can't imagine how grateful they are. Forget the stupid blame and just give your extras if you have enough.

It's a way to help and it also feels good to help other humans out on the street. i know there will be so many of you that say "don't encourage them" but you truly don't know how someone came to be out there. Just be a human and share the wealth.

by Anonymousreply 148November 13, 2021 2:36 PM

Thank you R145, we will try it. We will use the Instant Pot which is stainless steel. We already made soup with the first pumpkin. We seasoned it with onions, garlic, sage, dill, salt, pepper and ginger.

by Anonymousreply 149November 13, 2021 6:01 PM

[quote]These recipes are horrible!!!!

And such small portions!

by Anonymousreply 150November 13, 2021 6:09 PM

r137 is a squirrel and trying to protect his (nonexistent) nuts.

by Anonymousreply 151November 13, 2021 8:42 PM

Life Alert is the lifesaver to keep me out of assisted living.

by Anonymousreply 152November 13, 2021 8:45 PM

R145, don't you have to use a lid with Instant Pot? Use a pot without a lid because you want the water from the pumpkin to evaporate. The lid goes on after everything's scorched & the heat's off so any browned pumpkin stuck to pan steams off with the rest of it. I've never cooked with an Instant Pot so it might work, don't know.

by Anonymousreply 153November 14, 2021 9:10 AM

You can use the Instant Pot without the lid for tasks like sauteéing or boiling.

by Anonymousreply 154November 14, 2021 12:13 PM

R31, not sure what you’re eating on Thanksgiving, unless you’re cramming multiple desserts in your pie hole. The only thing on my table before dessert that has sugar is the cranberry sauce.

by Anonymousreply 155November 19, 2021 3:47 AM

Over on the Thanksgiving Sides thread I said I'd share this Broccoli Cheddar Casserole recipe, which is our usual alternative to green bean casserole:

1 1/2 lbs frozen broccoli florets

4 T unsalted butter

3 T flour

1 1/2 cups whole milk

1 clove minced garlic

1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped

salt and pepper to taste

a few grates of nutmeg (optional)

2 cups shredded sharp cheddar, divided

1/2 cup French's fried onions

- Partially cook the broccoli either by steaming for 5 minutes or cooking half the time per microwave instructions. Add to a greased 9x9 baking dish.

- In a pan over medium-low heat, melt the butter, then add the garlic and onion and cook for a few minutes until fragrant. Add the flour and whisk until combined and not lumpy.

- Add the milk and whisk until there are no lumps, then increase to medium-high until boiling, whisking constantly. Once it boils, reduce heat back down and keep whisking until thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste, roughly 1 t salt and 1/2 t pepper. Add a few grates of nutmeg if you want. Stir.

- Remove from heat and add 1 1/2 cups of the cheddar until it melts. Pour over the broccoli in the baking dish. Top with the remaining cheddar and the French's fried onions, then bake at 350F for 30 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 156November 20, 2021 11:35 AM

That sounds good, R156. I'd like to try it with blue cheese instead of cheddar, simply because any excuse for blue cheese seems like a good idea to me. And I've never had the fried onion topping (since I've always avoided the green bean casserole), maybe now's the time to start?

by Anonymousreply 157November 20, 2021 12:13 PM

I like the fried onion topping but I'm from the Midwest, fried onions are part of every holiday season here.

Panko bread crumbs or something lighter than the onions would definitely work, too. I just like the onion flavor on the top as well as in the casserole itself.

If I did a broccoli and blue cheese gratin I would probably mix it with something to cut the richness, maybe some cream cheese or even some parmesan.

by Anonymousreply 158November 20, 2021 12:24 PM

R19 here’s a quick way to make Brussel Sprouts edible and “festive”: Cut them in halves In a bowl mix Maple Syrup, chopped pecans and a hint of cinnamon. Dip them in the mix, let them soak and then take a baking sheet (aluminum for easy clean up) spread the sprouts and toast the fuckers also add chopped red onion and sweet potatoes chopped to the mix of you’re a carb whore.

by Anonymousreply 159November 20, 2021 12:26 PM

Cameron Mathison shares a very easy Green Bean Casserole recipe.

Even I could make this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160November 20, 2021 1:46 PM

Brussels sprouts are expensive (unless you buy the horrible frozen ones) so if you don't like them, why make them at all? I don't get why you would need to disguise a food's flavor. Just don't eat it. I just boil or steam them, because I like them. Roasting is also good if you like them sort of carmelized. But there's no law says you have to make/eat them if you don't want to.

Also I guess it's a matter of taste but unless you're Native American a few hundred years ago (or continuing the traditions) why do you need to eat acorns? It sounds like way too much trouble and I can't believe the tatse sensation is worth it.

by Anonymousreply 161November 20, 2021 2:03 PM

*taste

by Anonymousreply 162November 20, 2021 2:04 PM

Fresh cranberry sauce.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163November 20, 2021 2:10 PM

I only like that canned, gelatinous, sweet, smooth cranberry sauce.

by Anonymousreply 164November 20, 2021 2:44 PM

if anyone is interested, I have learned from the French chef I watch on youtube to always, always, always cook the onions first by themselves. By cooking the onions first, they caramelize which makes them sweet. Then add the other things like peppers, garlic, celery, carrots. Once you add something else to the pot with the onions they will no longer caramelize. The only exception to this rule is if you are adding pieces of bacon. then they go in first.

by Anonymousreply 165November 20, 2021 4:39 PM

My Brussels sprouts:

Wash and cut in half 1 16-24 Oz bag of sprouts

Toss with juice of one lemon, a few swigs of hot sauce, and olive oil (eyeball to your taste) and let sit for 15-20 mins

Put onto sheet pan with a little of the excess liquid, tossing the rest out

Salt and pepper and cook at 425 for 30 minutes or until they begin getting crispy

This gives you lemony, juicy, crispy on the outside sprouts. If you don’t like salt and vinegar flavors you might not enjoy these.

by Anonymousreply 166November 20, 2021 4:52 PM

r18,r20,r21, r22: those casseroles are some real, haute frau shit.

by Anonymousreply 167November 20, 2021 6:18 PM

[quote]always, always, always cook the onions first by themselves. By cooking the onions first, they caramelize which makes them sweet

But you don't always want sweet onions. Sometimes you want a sharp aromatic and not a sweet onion flavor.

by Anonymousreply 168November 20, 2021 7:16 PM

I posted my Brussels sprouts recipe at R32.

I agree, though, if you don't like Brussels sprouts to begin with, why force yourself. They're tedious, somewhat (cutting off the ends and peeling off outer leaves). I don't find them to be super expensive in my area.

I like cabbage, cauliflower, and broccoli. So, I like Brussels sprouts and it's worth it to me.

by Anonymousreply 169November 20, 2021 7:26 PM

r142, Google Ina Garten salad dressings. Dressing is so easy and once you get into the habit you will never willingly go back to store-bought bottled salad glop. I make a lot of variations of Ina's basic vinaigrette using different flavored vinegars. Currently using a lot of balsamic fig vinegar. I mix the dressing up in a large Pyrex measuring cup with a whisk and pour it over the salad. You can refrigerate unused dressing for about 4 days, I store in a glass jar. You need to let it sit out about 30 minutes before using because the olive oil solidifies when it is cold and needs to return to liquid form. Just give it a few good shakes to mix up all the herbs and garlic that settle on the bottom.

by Anonymousreply 170November 21, 2021 12:00 AM

Sweet potato salad. This is a savory dish , not sweet, for those who dislike the sweet potatoes with brown sugar and marshmallows. Ingredients - fresh sweet potatoes, microwaved or boiled in skins until quite soft, then scooped out. Somewhat fiinely diced celery and red peppers. (Amount can vary according to how much crunch you want). Fresh garlic, minced. Mayonnaise. Horseradish. salt, pepper. finely diced green onion

Put cooked sweet potatoes in large bowl (maybe 3 large sweet potatoes). Mash when cooled. Add diced crunchy vegetables and minced garlic. (about 2 cloves). Stir through, thoroughly. . Add about 1/3rd to 1/2 cup mayonnaise and about 1 tablespoon horseradish. Salt and pepper to taste. Add the green onion. (about two onion leaves is sufficient). Stir thoroughly until everything is well incorporated. Refrigerate over night. This is very colorful and very tasty.

by Anonymousreply 171November 21, 2021 6:29 AM

My Thanksgiving roast beef and gravy receipt is always a great alternative meal to munch down on if you don’t like ham or turkey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172November 21, 2021 6:43 AM

OMG R171 that sounds so amazing!!!!

I love potato salad, and your take on it is fantastic.

I wish you could try yours, but since I can't, I'm going to try to make it myself.

Thanks for the recipe!

by Anonymousreply 173November 21, 2021 7:07 AM

Keep me posted. Hope you like it.

by Anonymousreply 174November 21, 2021 7:18 AM

[quote] Keep me posted. Hope you like it.

Thanks, I will!👍

by Anonymousreply 175November 21, 2021 7:21 AM

[quote]I only like that canned, gelatinous, sweet, smooth cranberry sauce.

I do too, it's my secret shame. Someone called it a "log" in another Thanksgiving thread and they're right but Imma keep eating it.

by Anonymousreply 176November 21, 2021 7:48 AM

R171, what does this mean?

[quote] Add the green onion. (about two onion leaves is sufficient).

I might try this with chopped roasted sweet potato cubes rather than mashed.

by Anonymousreply 177November 21, 2021 12:10 PM

Cool whip cherry pie filling crushed Graham crackers.

by Anonymousreply 178November 21, 2021 5:29 PM

R102 I made this green bean casserole last year, it was really good! I used store bought fried shallots instead of frying my own

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179November 22, 2021 1:24 AM

r179 looks really good, might have to try that

by Anonymousreply 180November 22, 2021 1:51 AM

I'm going to go wild and put mushrooms and walnuts in my stuffing!

by Anonymousreply 181November 22, 2021 9:01 AM

R178 sounds delicious

by Anonymousreply 182November 22, 2021 10:36 AM

Iola’s Tuna Montezuma From Now Hear This (season 6)

Tuna fish Leftover yams Frijoles (beans) Blue corn tortilla chips

Mix the tuna, yams, and frijoles together, bake and serve with blue corn tortilla chips.

by Anonymousreply 183November 22, 2021 12:58 PM

Thanks, R179, that looks delicious. It looks like a LOT of work, but alao that it's worth it.

People who don't like green bean casserole need to give it one more chance when made with fresh green beans. It makes a huge difference in color and texture.

by Anonymousreply 184November 23, 2021 12:57 AM

Last chance to submit your SHIT recipe to this PUTRID thread!

by Anonymousreply 185November 25, 2021 3:39 PM

Cod

Prunes

Tomatos

Bake in the oven for six hours until done, VOILA! DINÊR is served!!!

by Anonymousreply 186November 25, 2021 3:41 PM

[quote] VOILA! DINÊR is served!!!

[quote] —GREG

Diarrhea shall follow shortly after.

by Anonymousreply 187November 25, 2021 7:12 PM

I don’t understand marshmallows on pumpkin isn’t dessert

by Anonymousreply 188November 26, 2021 11:34 AM

I was just looking for recipes to use up a couple of raw sweet potatoes that didn't get into the Thanksgiving dishes and found "SWEET POTATO GRATIN WITH PRUNES"! It's on the "Food & Wine" website, attributed to Scott Howell -- is that a pseudonym for DL's prune-loving Greg? It doesn't actually sound bad, except for the you-know-whats.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189November 27, 2021 6:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!